PDA

View Full Version : Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

S.F.L.Y
31st Mar 2009, 11:18
Old King Coal Thanks a lot for keeping us updated so precisely, this is really appreciated.

Regarding uploading the application form to your website, I would recommend you to check with value manage if there is any issue using the online form through firefox (issue with the small calendar applets), also when selecting the "not currently flying" option, the form should not consider the "current aircraf" field as a mandatory one (I had to chose one in the list and opted for the concorde :ok:). Beside these minor details I found this application form easy and fast to submit on the contrary of many others.

Kezler
1st Apr 2009, 22:01
Filled out the on line application form...then hit save at the bottom and the page re-loaded with a blank application form...same one....hmmmm....did it go through?

dire straits
1st Apr 2009, 22:42
I second kezler, the same happened to me.
Anyone with a solution to this?

S.F.L.Y
2nd Apr 2009, 07:02
A blank form appearing after submission might be normal but I think you should at least get a kind of small pop-up window confirming the submission.

Kezler
2nd Apr 2009, 07:23
No pop up, and the button at the end was "save" not "send".... think the form may have disappeared into the internet ether....plus no reply from the system that it had been recieved

Guinness Girl
2nd Apr 2009, 19:06
Is anyone out there going to the assessment scheduled for April 12 and 13th? If so send me a PM and maybe we can get together for dinner the night before.

Paper Lad
2nd Apr 2009, 21:40
When I completed the form and pressed 'save' I got a pop up stating "details successfully saved". I then checked 'OK' and it then reverted to the blank form.

Stillnot had any other response though:hmm:

PL

cuberoute
3rd Apr 2009, 07:21
I was told yesterday that there will be no response sent to an application at the moment . They dont have the manpower to reply to each applicant .There are so many applying that the web site was taken down to be revamped .On the 6th it will be rebooted .Then I BELIEVE you can expect an auto reply .
THE GOOD NEWS ;They will be recruiting all year.:ok:

Cheers

Old King Coal
3rd Apr 2009, 07:59
Cuberoute - that's about right.

Fwiw, I've been closely involved with helping to get the on-line application form(s) set-up so that they work in a user friendly manner (indeed I've been sending emails back-and-forth this very morning, to our web developers, on this very subject). Once the developers have got it sorted (they're working on it as I type) we'll get it up to the main server asap!
The improved functionality should provide the following:

A page (not a pop-up) that tells you if your 'submit' was successfully stored in our database.
Send you an email to also confirm that we've got your application stored in our database.
In that email will be a link to a page to allow you to retrospectively view your application, as stored in our database.

Wrt to the main FD website going down?... I did hear something to that effect, but I understand it's more a function of something to do with the Commercial Department revamping certain parts of the website than for any other reason, and during which I'd rather hope that we can keep the recruitment pages active; we'll see.

Paper Lad
3rd Apr 2009, 18:07
I guess that they must have my application 'cos I have just been sent a promotional e-mail headed "We've been busy setting up a new airline"...like I didn't already know:rolleyes:.

PL

FMC OVERHEAT
4th Apr 2009, 12:37
@Paper Lad

The fact that you received that promotional email does not necessarily mean that they received your application. You must have subscribed to their newsletter using the same email.

Cheers,

Spatelesq
6th Apr 2009, 14:16
Hi Just browsing whilst i'm at work and around 1hour ago (3pm GMT) the flyduabi website opened for business... take a look... it has some nice touches and i think the pilots recruitment part is also open for applications.

good luck and enjoy

Sp

super 27
6th Apr 2009, 14:54
Are they taking guys without 737NG's rating?

long-gonner
6th Apr 2009, 16:09
OKC,

Just some questions when you have a minute, but please don't let your tea get cold over it :O

1. Will the pilots use EFBs or will it still be a paper airline with pilots carrying around flight cases? I ask as it appears the company is requiring pilots to have a laptop, but will not provide one.

2. A few weeks ago there was a news article that said flydubai's launch cities would all be in India. Now it appears they are BEY and Amman. Why the change, or was it all smoke and mirrors with the press?

3. Any idea how monthly schedules will be given out? Bid by seniority or just assigned?

Thanks for what info you can provide!

LG

ICARUS1971
7th Apr 2009, 11:03
Hi out there;

Anyone who has recently assisted to the 1st/2nd FD´S recruitment process..?Anything to worry about..?Any recent news from the Middle East..?.Good luck to everybody!!

Pd:Someone who´s just counting down to the D-day!

S.F.L.Y
12th Apr 2009, 13:41
Hi,
Is there anybody from flydubai who would be fine with catching up in town as I have few questions I'd like to ask?

Thanks for the help.

SFLY

Willie Everlearn
12th Apr 2009, 14:26
What is the upper age limit?

flymanuel
12th Apr 2009, 22:29
UPDATE 1-Boeing to deliver six planes to FlyDubai in '09 | Deals | Regulatory News | Reuters (http://uk.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idUKL612117220090406)

maples
13th Apr 2009, 06:41
...and we're still hangin' :bored:

long-gonner
13th Apr 2009, 13:47
They are currently interviewing for more FOs. 1st class of FOs starts on May 31, those are the pilots that interviewed back in January.

S.F.L.Y
13th Apr 2009, 16:05
They are currently interviewing for more FOs. 1st class of FOs starts on May 31, those are the pilots that interviewed back in January.

Where are they interviewing? CAE or EKHQ?
I was expecting that some people would at least be fine to meet during a short coffee break even if they're very busy... few month ago I visited CAE to inquire about a 737NG type rating and was told that flydubai's FO recruitment was already over...

long-gonner
13th Apr 2009, 21:51
I don't know why the CAE people would say anything like that. Portions of the interview take place at both facilities. With all the airplanes coming between now and 2015 I doubt that recruitment will ever be over....

S.F.L.Y
14th Apr 2009, 05:14
I don't know why the CAE people would say anything like that. Portions of the interview take place at both facilities. With all the airplanes coming between now and 2015 I doubt that recruitment will ever be over....

I also couldn't understand why I was given such an information. Beside that I couldn't proceed for a type rating as CAE never came back to me despite my follow up and update requests... funny how they can ignore a $25,000 client. I didn't insist much as such enthousiam is not very appealing.

S.F.L.Y
16th Apr 2009, 17:21
Apparently they had interviews last week and were only looking for 737NG rated people. Next batch should be more open and will probably use the online applications filed since the beginning of this month.

long-gonner
16th Apr 2009, 20:08
Not true. I know of at least 2 people in that group last week that had no NG experience.

S.F.L.Y
16th Apr 2009, 21:16
Maybe the CEO is not aware of that as it is not what he was saying yesterday morning.

FMC OVERHEAT
20th Apr 2009, 09:54
There has been no news for flydubai lately. Anyone can enlighten us?

long-gonner
20th Apr 2009, 14:08
They are interviewing more FOs this week. I've heard that the interview part is till the same, except now the medical portion is no longer at the EKHQ. You have to go to a medical facility for the GCAA exam and it makes for a long afternoon.

Launch cities are BEY and AMM. May 31 class of FOs is full, June class starts a couple of weeks later. Not much else to report.....

FMC OVERHEAT
30th Apr 2009, 21:01
Some new pictures on airliners.net. Very nice livery indeed.
Thanks to the photographers.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/9/7/1/1519179.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/9/0/1/1519109.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/0/6/0/1519060.jpg

long-gonner
19th May 2009, 00:48
Just talked with a friend who interviewed several weeks back, no word yet on yes or no. I suspect that my friend got the job, but with all the start up stuff going on right now, sending out emails to people that won't be in class for a few months is a lower priority. It took them about 8 weeks to get the word out to my group, so be patient :hmm:

skysod
23rd May 2009, 18:54
I spotted a 737 in Flydubai colours on the apron in Glasgow (UK) last Thursday (21st of May)......great livery.....probably airframe No.2 on it's way to Dubai......good luck to all who are fortunate enough to fly it!!:)

Old King Coal
24th May 2009, 05:32
skysod - I already did fly it (Thursday 21st, into Glasgow)... and it is indeed very nice! :ok:

williewalsh
24th May 2009, 09:56
Old king coal is a merry old soul
now hes flown his new 73
he typed and he typed
to create a good light
in front of the fiddlers three.

Just go get the plane
cos your being a pain
said the pestered fiddlers three.
so old king coal is a merry old soul
and dreams of his new 73.:D

skysod
24th May 2009, 12:53
Hey WW, don't give up your "day job"!!!;)

Old King Coal
24th May 2009, 16:05
Willie... very clever & bravo... nice one! OKC :ok:

ICARUS1971
29th May 2009, 11:33
Hi everybody,

Is anybody interested in sharing an apartment at Dubai from next month?
Please contact privately.

Ali Ronn
30th May 2009, 11:17
OKC

You sound like a man in the know! I am thrilled and delighted to have completed the 'pre entry requirements' for an FO position, with an offer to be sent when course dates have been scheduled.

Who (if anyone!) can I speak to to try and find out a ball park start date as I urgently need to make arrangements in order to be able to leave my current job.

Regards,

fly2AK
30th May 2009, 17:57
Ali...Depending on how much notice you told them you needed prior to joining will dictate the minimum time they will give you to get ready. They actually gave me nearly 2 months to get ready and I told them I needed 3 weeks. Another friend of mine told them 2 weeks and he got 3 weeks to get ready. You will get an email with the course date offer, prior to a fed ex copy of the offer. As far as someone out in Dubai to talk to ahead of time I would recommend talking to the contacts in HR you already met and see if they could give you an idea of a course date. I hope this helps. Good luck

williewalsh
30th May 2009, 17:59
Old king coal is a knowledgable old soul,
Who works for the fiddlers three.
But he cant say **** for quite a bit
Untill hes finshed on his 73.

Hed liked to type about the flydubai hype
With post after post after post
but the fiddlers three didnt like it much
So Youll get a PM at the most:ok:

Ali Ronn
4th Jun 2009, 14:31
Thanks for the response fly2AK. I was having some difficulty getting hold of my contact in HR, but that's been resolved now. They're pretty busy I guess!

fly2AK
7th Jun 2009, 13:27
Hello Box,

They are very busy right now with flights leaving and new destinations also starting up has kept everyone busy. I was told they still have plans to hire this year. Good luck to you all.

lux007
11th Jun 2009, 19:16
that is the best information l have heard can you please tell what kind of regs (faa) and more details on the exams. l would really apprciate it.

FMC OVERHEAT
17th Jun 2009, 13:55
Anyone going there for interview in July?

mikehagen
17th Jun 2009, 15:28
Hello Lads & Gents.

Could anyone share what the latest FlyDubai package is regarding the right seat?

In the early days of the FD website both packages were published but not any more...

Many Thanks!

lux007
17th Jun 2009, 20:31
can you please tell me more about the aerodynamic test?

fly2AK
18th Jun 2009, 03:24
Mikehagen,

The short is 43,000 for an FO and 57,000 for Capt. That includes your housing, transportation, flight pay and salary. Flight pay could be more or less depending on how much or how little you fly. That of course is in AED Dirhams, you can convert that to your local currency to see your equivalent dollars. Hope that helps.

Fly

fatbus
18th Jun 2009, 03:45
Does FD have freee parking at terminal 2, thanks? Pilots and or CC, if so good on ya

empati
18th Jun 2009, 11:40
Children school fees...how much is covered?
Housing similar to Emirates?

How does this compansation package compare to Oman Air, Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways. Anybody have the big picture?

ex-XL
18th Jun 2009, 14:14
I was sent the following by my friends & colleagues who are there already:

Salary 25,480 AED per month.
Housing Allowance 16,000 AED per month with which you have to find your own place to live.
Transport Allowance 4,000 AED per month.
Flight pay 150 AED per block hour.

Life insurance 2 years basic salary.
Accident insurance 2 years basic salary.
Loss of license insurance 2 years basic salary up to 62 years of age, then 1 year basic salary up to 63 years of age, after which no cover.

Health care package provided for self, spouse and up to three children.

Education allowance for up to 3 children, which can be claimed to help pay fees at schools outside of UAE. Primary school 30,000 AED per child per year. Secondary school 45,000 AED per child per year.

Annual leave 42 days. One confirmed seat return ticket per year, for self, wife and upto 3 children, from Dubai to the airport nearest your nominated home, nearest that is to an airport that's served by Emirates.

One off moving allowance was 3,500 AED.

There is no pension plan or company contribution.

Don't know how the FO package looks.

If you work 50 block hours per month, for 10 months of the year, with no kids in tow, the package would amount to approx 620,000 AED per year, from which you have to fund all your accommodation and transport and if you have kids the education allowance will not cover all of the school fees for most schools that you'd be prepared to send your children to.

In the last three months the Dirham has slipped 21% against the UK Pound and also slipped 6% against the Euro. My ex-colleagues there also suggested that the whole package is rumoured to have been reduced by 10% on the figures quoted above, plus that the Interline agreement with Emirates is to be chopped which means getting back to home could become expensive and problematic?!

I was thinking of applying but with a worsening exchange rate plus a possible cuts in the T&C's, living in sandpit Dubai is not an attractive prospect.

FMC OVERHEAT
18th Jun 2009, 14:47
Thanks guys for your posts and infos about salary package.
So no one going there in July to interview? We can meet for some beers :ok:

mikehagen
19th Jun 2009, 00:54
Many thanks Fly2AK and Ex-XL.

I wonder if the FO package would be enough to get by with a wife and a 5 year old kid...:rolleyes:

Any thoughts on the expected time to upgrade? :confused:

fatbus
19th Jun 2009, 06:15
The latest is EK 777 fo's will be offered transfer LHS due to the upgrade change at EK, if you recall the aiplanes numbers of 650+ that incluced FD and what ever else they come up with.

fly2AK
19th Jun 2009, 07:17
From what I have been told they expect upgrade to be pretty fast as early as 1 year. I would expect upgrades for the first set of FO's hired in 2009/2010 to upgrade within 2 years. As far as being enough to support a wife and 5 year old child, it should be no problem. Good luck.

Fly

olster
21st Jun 2009, 15:53
Ex-xl -are you sure about the staff travel/interline rumour?-that would not make people happy-not just commuters but people who would view this as an opportunity for travel.

cheers/thanks and good luck

arc555
21st Jun 2009, 17:20
Hi,
I have been selected for Maintenance Controller position as per my recruitment consultancy. However they have not yet sent any offer letter. It is one month since interview was conducted.

Kindly let me know if this is normal for Flydubai HR.

Thanks

fly2AK
22nd Jun 2009, 09:42
Not sure about for the MX guys but for pilots it took about 2 months before we received any off letter from them. They have been busy, but if you have any questions feel free to email your recruiter. Cheers.

mikehagen
22nd Jun 2009, 15:56
Excuse me Fatbus but I didn't quite understand your last post.

Could you please elaborate?

mave292
25th Jun 2009, 17:33
Got a call for an assessment/interview in july with Flydubai , can anyone give me some info on what to expect ??? sim check info and the assessment info would be great , thks

PINKPANTHER737
26th Jun 2009, 22:08
has anyone been for an interview with flydubai recently ...r these guys still hiring..how long have u had 2 wait for an interview call ..

fly2AK
27th Jun 2009, 17:25
yes they are actively hiring and people are interviewing next month. Check out previous post on here

RandyBMC
1st Jul 2009, 23:19
I have found quite a few houses for less than 190K/year, but a lot of them seem to want the year in advance. Any neighborhoods to stay away from for those who are already in the area?

Does anyone have the complete breakdown on the package for FOs?

Thank you!

Randy

Fluffy flyer
2nd Jul 2009, 22:57
The rumoured drop of 10% in term and conditions that ex-XL’s post speaks about is accurate I can confirm that this is true as I have seen an email received by a friend of mine that stated the following.

The reduction’s are in the following areas,

For Captains

Basic Salary from AED 25,480 dropped to AED 23,500

Housing Allowance from AED 16,000 dropped to AED 14,000

Transport Allowance from AED 4,000 dropped to AED 2,300

The only thing that stays the same is the Variable flight pay this is still AED 150 which if flying 80 hours is AED 12,000

Projected total now is AED 51,800/month

It would be interested to know if the pilots that are already there and working, will have there terms change also or will it be a case of two pilots doing the same job but one gets more just because he started sooner than the other.

The First Officers

Basic is now 17,000
Housing 12,000
Transport 1,700
Flight pay 100

Projected 38,700

Don’t suppose the training bond will be reduced by 10%

mikehagen
3rd Jul 2009, 02:17
If you come to FlyDubai already rated in the 737NG, am I correct to imply the $24k bond does not apply then?

ex-XL
3rd Jul 2009, 05:28
mikehagen, the update I've had is that a Training Bond is being applied even to B737 Type Rated pilots. $24,000 reducing monthly over three years. This amount was not previously disclosed to those type rated pilots who joined already and they are now been pressed to sign this bond retrospectively.

Fluffy flyer
3rd Jul 2009, 08:57
ex-XL is correct on this one yes if you are type rated it doesn’t matter you will still be bonded. You can have the 737-800 on your licence with thousands of hours on the very aircraft Flydubai will fly but you will still be bonded. Like ex-XL has said it’s a three year bond that reduces each month you work there. So you will pay back a proportionate amount if you leave before your three years are finished.

mikehagen
3rd Jul 2009, 16:51
Let me get this right, first there's a 10% reduction in the package to swallow and moreover you are still bonded even if you are type rated in the very 737-800...

Let me think what's next... ask us to assume the doggy position?

nolimitholdem
3rd Jul 2009, 19:41
Just in case anyone thinks the pay reduction BEFORE YOU EVEN JOIN is fiction or just typical pilot gossip, an excerpt from an email sent to a prospective joiner:

Dear Candidate,
We are writing to congratulate you again on your success in our flydubai
Pilot Selection Program. We appreciate your continued interest in our
small but rapidly growing family and look forward to seeing you in Dubai
once again.

We are also writing to advise you of modifications to our Terms and
Conditions for pilots. The revised compensation plan is attached for
your review. While the overall compensation scheme represents an
approximate 10% reduction to the program presented to you during your
interview, we feel it accurately reflects the reduced costs associated
with living and working in Dubai.

Wow! Usually they wait until AFTER you join to start the raping! The next "Advise of modifications" to your Terms of Service and the contract BOTH PARTIES SIGN, will be a memo released to you via email after you join. Usually on a Thursday afternoon, in typical cowardly fashion. At least at this point you still have the chance to tell them to FOXTROT OSCAR!!

Good god how desperate do you have to be to work for these clowns? I know, I know global crisis meltdown economic sky falling etc ad nauseum...but seriously...unless you're getting a gun stuck in your face weekly like our good colleagues from Joburg, in which case I understand the desire to move along...??? WTF??

fly2AK
4th Jul 2009, 00:57
The post are correct and pay was reduced 10% for all new joiners. I also know a lot of people are interested in schedules and commutability. Right now the rosters will not accomadate a commuter. We are only scheduled at the present time anywhere from 4 to 8 days off a month and at most only 2 days off in a row. There is a lot of reserve days built into schedules on the days you are not rostered to fly. However, we are hopeful we can resolve the roster issue in the near future, but at this time there has not been any progress, nor is there any sign of progress. Take it for what is worth. I feel it is only fair for those considering a position with FD to be informed of the facts of a position before they except any offer. Good luck

Artisan
4th Jul 2009, 01:53
Fly2AK,

How do you feel now about your decision to join FD?

Presumably your salary has not been cut (yet) and the cuts are only for new joiners?

Do you get concession travel on Emirates/ FlyDubai?

What are the pax loads like? I get the impression that FD is in financial strife if they are cutting wages by 10% and they have only been operating for less than 1 month. It doesn't bode well for the future.

Iver
4th Jul 2009, 03:24
Mike Hagen,

Welcome to the Middle East! Better to stay in America and enjoy Taco Bell.

fatbus
4th Jul 2009, 04:05
2 things, 1- do you really think they(FD) care what the pilots think 2- do you think they are having a hard time finding pilots at the moment? It is not going to get better for some time, welcome to the Middle East all you are is a laborer with a skill

fly2AK
4th Jul 2009, 08:35
Artisan,

No my pay has not been cut and from what I am told is not going to be. I don't have any regrets joining FD at this time. As far as financial strife, I don't think they are. The pay cut was in response with how they percieve the cost of living is here in Dubai, since the cost ol living is down they feel there is no longer a need for the higher rates, doesn't necessarily mean I agree with it. Passenger loads are full going out of dubai and light coming back in. Ask me in about a years time how I like it here, we are to new to have know for sure if FD was a good move or not, hopefully the rosters change by then if not I will re-evaluate my options. Hope that helps.

Fluffy flyer
4th Jul 2009, 18:53
Fly2AK

With no disrespect to you or any of the other pilots at FD and I know you didn’t make the decision but if I am to join FD I will be doing the same job as you right, the only difference is I will be getting paid 10% less.

This is not a good way to start off a company in my opinion, you are instantly dividing the work force and causing animosity among the pilots.

Happy Flying

ugwhatajob
4th Jul 2009, 19:32
"This is not a good way to start off a company in my opinion, you are instantly dividing the work force and causing animosity among the pilots."

Agree with the first part, however, after your comma the only animosity that could be, is that of the blokes that accept the deal AND THEN whine.

Unfortunately you are on their grounds, take it or DON'T TAKE IT, no biggie to them many more that would. Too bad we couldn't all band up and show enough unity for just a split second to show the dirty :mad: enough already...maybe the next generation.

fly2AK
4th Jul 2009, 23:42
Fluffy,

I am by no means endorsing the 10% cut. However, I was taught a long time ago that seniority is key in this line of work and the most junior pilot does the same job as the most senior pilot, but the senior pilot is making an additional $60,000 per year. This doesn't divide the pilots or create any anymosity between them. This 10% pay cut shouldn't do the same for you, if you think that it will then maybe you should really consider whether or not it's worth the stress. Your right, the pilots here had nothing to do with this decision. The only way it would change is if they have a hard time recruiting pilots to come out for the wages offered. The company is still in the early stages of development and it will take some doing to iron out all the wrinkles. Should you decide to take this offer, please don't join with animosity towrds the pilots already here, a 4 hour flight with another pilot pi$$ed at you for something beyond your control is unpleasent for everyone. Remember that unions are illegal here and there is only so much you can do about these kind of changes. All I can say to anyone is you can give it a shot and if you don't like it, leave when you can. Maybe if they know there is going to be a mass exidist, they might provide some incentive for people to stay. This is just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.

ernestkgann
4th Jul 2009, 23:55
Don't worry too much, it's the UAE, they'll eventually take the 10% from all the pilots! But of course it's in the contract......:)

Fluffy flyer
5th Jul 2009, 00:31
Fly2AK

I don’t really want this to be a tit for tat thing he said she said conversation.

I wasn't saying it would cause me to have animosity if I was to join and accept the new conditions, I just felt that the actions taken could cause this type of response, and yes like someone pointed out, that scenario will only apply to pilots that join knowing about the 10% drop but still join and then bitch about it afterwards.

I do also agree with your comment that in general a senior pilot will get more money than a junior pilot (with less experienced)

I based my comment about doing the same job for less money on the amount of hours/experience I am lead to believe most of the pilots at FD have (10,000+ hrs), and know that my experience is equally on a par to that of the majority already there. So senior pilot to senior pilot.

Maybe it’s a good thing that FD has shown its true colours early on.

I really do wish all that are at FD a happy time and I do honestly believe it will be a nice outfit to work for.:ok:

ugwhatajob
5th Jul 2009, 05:33
For all you folks thinking your grandfathered in...why should they continue to pay for your housing at yesterday's rate when today is a minimum 10% less? We all know what contracts mean after 30 seconds in the sun...:mad:

Now before the beatings begin. I don't agree with what they are doing, especially this soon. But how sound of a BUSINESS decision is it to allow a higher living allowance for some than others? There is the right thing to do, and then there is always managements way to do. However, if you are already settled in, just start readying yourself...:{

nolimitholdem
5th Jul 2009, 08:18
Passenger loads are full going out of dubai and light coming back in.

You should see the N. American flights. The only thing that's keeping the loads high is the low yield fares and low frequency.

Maybe it’s a good thing that FD has shown its true colours early on.

Exactly! I'm actually surprised they've shown their hands so early. The usual MO is to get you here, THEN roll it back. Well, maybe the intended cut is actually 20% or whatever so they're getting half of it out of the way before you sign...who knows. Or maybe 10% cut up front, then the rest through arbitrarily raising the productivity threshold and decreasing the TOS in every other area...

:}

fly2AK
5th Jul 2009, 09:19
None of the pilots here are to happy about the 10% cut and now the CFO is making it difficult to get the advance housing allowance. We were all brought over under good faith that we could get the 6 month advance, that we would have about 18 days off per month and pay is what it is and as you say they are starting to show their true colors sort of speak, and undoubtly this will create a recruitment problem, and honestly I hope it does. If you guys voice your opinions about the changes and the lack of faith to uphold their end of the bargain, let your voices be heard before you come and keep looking for other options. Trust goes a long way. For those of us already here, we have to ride it out and try to fix the problems for guys like you coming in behind us. You will find that the ones that will be the most help to you (as a pilot) is the other pilots. If they don't fix the issues they are creating, they will have a hard time keeping and recuiting pilots.

williewalsh
5th Jul 2009, 10:33
Well Old King coal
should be a merry old soul
suerly, shouldnt he be.

fly2AK
5th Jul 2009, 17:00
Tell that to the CFO

flymetodubai
6th Jul 2009, 14:34
i can understand people arent ever going to be happy getting less money that they were previously on, but you are really kidding yourself if you think rents havent decreased in dxb. I dont know about you, but a good percentage of my monthly take goes on accommodation - so if you have renewed your lease you would noticed this surely?

A bog standard 2 bed villa in Springs or AA has gone from about 160k a year down to about 100k... similar kind of reductions in apartments at the Marina and so on

i'd have to question the CFOs choices a whole lot more if he didnt react to the new market conditions. We are talking about a startup LCC arent we?

Just wondering - honestly speaking now - whats your priority as you see it...? long term job security and career advancement - or squeeze every last fil out of the airline...

sanddude
6th Jul 2009, 18:40
flymetodubai,

Its not only a cut in housing alowance. Its a cut in BASIC SALARY. What has that go to do with the rents in DXB:ugh:

fly2AK
6th Jul 2009, 20:07
Job security in the airline business are you new? Right now it would be nice to know we will get something out of uprooting our family to the other side of the world. It would also be nice if the transition was as easy as possible, but when your dealing with any management, their word is worth as much as ocean front property in arizona.

fly2AK
6th Jul 2009, 22:06
Duolabs_Box

I see what your saying and I agree, and maybe when people decide not to come to Fly Dubai and they have trouble filling pilot seats, then maybe they will reconsider their policy. For right now they are cutting pay and they believe they are right in doing so, as much as we disagree with it, we can't change their way of thinking. People refusing the job offer will have more influence on that aspect than us. I hope things will work out here, there is a lot of potential, but they are starting to stray down the wrong path, time will tell. I am here to help the potential pilots the best I can whether it be good or bad news for pilots. Good luck.

Fly

ekpilot
7th Jul 2009, 11:25
Cost of living in Dubai. From today paper. I'm just passing the info. Do what you want.

Gulfnews: Cost of living rises for expats in Abu Dhabi and Dubai (http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Banking_and_Finance/10329281.html)

Keep Discovering:ok:

Slow Down
8th Jul 2009, 21:50
I can pre-warn any newcomers that although rental prices have dropped, Dubai is still not a cheap place to live. Dont be blinded by the attraction of a tax free lifestyle. Rents and mortgages will soak up a large amount of your salary. General cost of living is higher here than in the UK. Local banks typically offer home loans at 6-7% APR

Gulfnews: Dubai remains expensive place to live: survey (http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Economy/10329536.html)

If you decide to join FD, join because you want to and because you know that you and your family will be 100% happy here. This place is not for everyone! It's a small place to live and the extreme temperatures during the summer months limit your daytime activities.

EK Snorkel
10th Jul 2009, 10:42
What's their callsign? Is it flydubai or skydubai?

It's actually "Skidubai":}

spanishfly69
10th Jul 2009, 10:49
Skydubai !!!!!!

Artisan
14th Jul 2009, 00:21
What's going on here?

Statement from flydubai on flights to India

Dubai, UAE, 10 July 2009: Ghaith Al Ghaith, Chief Executive Officer of flydubai, said: “flydubai had planned to begin operations to India with flights to Lucknow on July 13, Coimbatore on July 14 and Chandigarh on July 23, however, due to operational issues, we have had to delay these flights.
“We understand that this is very inconvenient for the passengers who have booked flights with us to India and we apologise for the disruption and disappointment caused.
“All passengers who have booked flights to India will be contacted within the next few days and will be given a full refund, plus a voucher for a free return flight to India or anywhere on the flydubai network, which will be valid for travel until the end of November 2009.
“India remains an important market for us and we will make an announcement in the very near future on when our flights to the region will begin.”

fly2AK
25th Jul 2009, 04:52
It was one airplane that was giving them trouble and they were working with Boeing to figure it out and as far as I know the issue has been resolved. The operation is fine.

ICARUS1971
27th Jul 2009, 05:58
Hi fly2AK;

How is fishing up there going on..?any big one yet??
Just confirm everything going straight forward, down here,smooth and efficient operation...improving day by day!!!,four planes non stoping..!!!

see u!!

mikehagen
27th Jul 2009, 16:45
Good news then!

Hope anybody can enlighten us:

Is FD expected to cover for the airport parking?
Is FD expected to fly out of DXB permanently or move to Dubai World Central along with EK? (when?)

Hope to see you folks soon!:ok:

Skyhawk737
5th Aug 2009, 10:26
Hi everybody,

I have been scheduled for an interview with flydubai in September 2009.
Any info or tips regarding flydubai selection process?
Any info regarding Advanced Compass Testing for Pilots? I've never done that...

I would appreciate any help, suggestion, advice...

Regards to all!!!

SOPS
5th Aug 2009, 10:30
Skyhawk...the search engine is your friend:)

Skyhawk737
5th Aug 2009, 11:07
Hi SOPS,

Thank you for advice... I've already checked search engine, as you said. What I meant in my first reply was... is there any first hand experience regarding flydubai interview? I still do my home work... and find this forum as a valuable way to collect needed information from people who have already passed through this process.

Thank you, anyway,

Regards!

fly2AK
5th Aug 2009, 15:57
I do have info posted on this current thread regarding the compass test and what to expect, search the earlier threads. The operation is evolving to more efficient operation day by day, it will take time but FD is doing fine. The parking is free for us at the HQ and we leave there by bus directly to the aircraft. FD will operate out of DXB for the next few years. Good luck.

Old King Coal
5th Aug 2009, 16:08
Skyhawk,

Wrt the compass test, you might review what I wrote here: http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/381516-fly-dubai-upcoming-interviews.html#post5071152

The interview (which is just part of the whole assessment process) is very much personality based.... it's not (to my knowledge or recollection) a B737 technical quiz (remembering that not everybody who's applied has been B737 type-rated)... though you will be asked some generic technical questions during various parts of the assessment process and / or maybe during the interview (in a roundabout sort of way).

The interview part of the 2 day assessment, lasts about 1 hour and will be at least two-on-one. It is your chance to ask questions, and is FD's chance to talk with you about why you want to come to FD, what do you see as the challenges of being here, give me an instance when you had a problem and what did you do to resolve it?... etc etc etc.... basically any & all the standard airline interview type questions.

You will find the Interviewers are nice people and your professional peers, i.e. at least one will be a serving Captain with FD (and / or maybe even two of them).

OKC

Ps. And people, please don't PM me asking for examples of specific questions (or I will feel obliged to use nefarious methods to find out who's who and then invite my Interviewer colleagues to start asking a lot of awkward bastard type technical questions).

williewalsh
6th Aug 2009, 14:09
Old King coal is a knowledgable old soul,
a knowledgeable soul is he,
you ask and he types on the company time
a detailed answer for free.:ok:

Dont worry they wont ask questions like " have you ever run away from a contract without proper notice? "

or " how many times would you like to go get a plane from the states?"

Dont forget to tell them how you did it in your last airline as well . They love that sort of stuff..honest.:ok:

Skyhawk737
6th Aug 2009, 17:33
Old King Cole,

I checked the thread and link you provided in "Fly Dubai upcoming interviews", it helped me familiarize with issues I was (and still am) interested in. As a starting point, I guess it will help me prepare better for my upcoming interview/selection process.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation,

Regards!

Old King Coal
6th Aug 2009, 18:06
Skyhawk737 - you're most welcome and thank you.

Willie, very droll, you crack me up!.... have you perhaps swallowed a bitter pill somewhere recently?... wherein there are more than a couple of errors in your prose (which is unlike you?!)... but I won't waste my breath putting you straight. You're undoubtedly a clever man, whereas I just say it as it is; therein, Willie, did someone piss you off in a previous life (or even in this one) or some'at?... if so, **** happens my old son, **** happens! LMAOROF :)

williewalsh
7th Aug 2009, 14:03
Willie, very droll, you crack me up!...

Old King coal is a gracious old soul
. wherein there are more than a couple of errors in your prose but ,You're undoubtedly a clever man,

and an astute old soul is he..

whereas I just say it as it is;

He thinks they care what he did before
in his crappy old seventy three

Willie, did someone piss you off in a previous life?

Oh Old king coal youre a funny old soul

flying in your new seven three

They tried and tried to make you see

Its better to fly to your new SOP.

:E:ok::}

Gwan man
10th Aug 2009, 15:31
Hi there,

I've got no jet experience but 3800 hrs turbo prop (TT 4200). Still on the RH seat as a result of the following:

-I flew as an expat in a place where regs ban expats upgrades.
-I then joined an European ATR operator where I had to join the command upgrade queue, while the economic downturn is not very helpful on that matter.

However I can prove an excellent training record that can be backed by solid references and I have a JAR ATPL.

Can I then ask the following to those in the know please:

1 - Do FD strictly stick to the minimums shown on their website regarding recruitment -ie 73 experience-?

2 - Should the company hire non rated people - let's say me...- how would the TR endorsement be applied on my licence (IAA issued)?

3 - Is FD SOP very strict in terms of allowing or not hand flying.

4 - Do you get Cat II or Cat III rating / how often are you guys caught in IMC conditions in that area.

Many thanks guys for any helpful insight:p

gwan man

RandyBMC
11th Aug 2009, 16:49
From what I have been told, and others can correct me if I'm wrong, they are only looking at short course pilots right now, ie those that are current on the 737. That is a relatively new change, as about a month ago they took guys/gals as FOs that had only A320 time (as an example) and put them through the long course.

I believe the SOP is pretty developmental at this point. I believe that there are provisions to hand fly the aircraft, as I have seen profiles for it. Maybe pilots already on the line there can answer that one for you.

I know there is fog at DXB, and they do have cat2/3 aircraft with HUDs.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Gwan man
11th Aug 2009, 17:29
Cheers Randy!!
Anybody else at all from within the Company ?

thanks

gwan man:ok:

allatp
11th Aug 2009, 22:43
Fly2AK.
Loooking at the payscale in the web page of FD, I ask myself this: Does the salary information in the web page include the pay cut already?

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!

AA

RandyBMC
12th Aug 2009, 01:02
AA,

That does reflect the current pay, including the pay reduction. As you can see, it is in the transport and housing with no real change in flight hours or basic pay.

Hope that helps!
Randy

fly2AK
12th Aug 2009, 20:17
As previously stated the pay is the currently reduced pay that is seen on the website. Right now they are looking at only type rated pilots. This allows them to put new hires through a short course, start to finish (this includes line training and line check, or IOE) is 4 weeks. Hand flying is allowed, nothing prevents this other than an individual's (captain's) philosophy of operating. Hope this helps those that are interested. Make sure you research the housing before you decide to come. In my opinion it is still expensive, especially if you have a family of 2 or more kids. Dubai is not a place you want to run into financial trouble, you don't want to end up in debtors prison. Anyways I hope that helps.

Gwan man
12th Aug 2009, 22:51
cheers fly2AK. Info much appreciated :ok:. I suppose I'll have to pass my turn this time around...

However, according to the general feel in there, do you guys reckon that selection might be open to TP experienced drivers in the mid term future...

gwan man

fly2AK
13th Aug 2009, 06:47
At Fly Dubai anything is possible.

2FLYEU
13th Aug 2009, 13:05
Fly2ak or OKC,

I haven't seen an update on how long it takes (if shortlisted) from initial application to a phonecall or email for interview appointment?

Are you guys planning to keep interviewing for 2009 classes?

Thanks in advance

fly2AK
13th Aug 2009, 13:15
I would suspect that the rest of the people interviewed this year will have a start date around Dec - Jan, not certain on that though. Figure it takes approxiamately 6 - 8 weeks to hear if you were successful and then another 2 - 6 weeks for class to start. For a lot of us we interviewed and then started 4 to 5 months later. Some interviewed and then started 10 weeks later. I hope that helps a bit, I know it is a bit vague.

2FLYEU
13th Aug 2009, 20:05
quite a long process...
Thanks for the info
Happy landings

mikehagen
6th Sep 2009, 21:51
I've got an interview date! All I can say is I'm delighted! We'll see how it goes...

Just out of sheer curiosity; I've read all kind of news about FZ planes departing fully packed :ok:. Then, what's the reason behind announcing a 40% off sale in all their routes? :confused:

fly2AK
7th Sep 2009, 04:40
Congrats on the interview, that will be the easy part! The hard part is the wait to hear the results. Best of luck!!:ok:

RandyBMC
7th Sep 2009, 05:12
My guess is that the reason for the sale is to make sure the planes stay packed :ok:.

I just heard that I have passed the interview! :):) For me it was 6 weeks from the interview date to find out. It is by far the hardest part!!

Good luck with the interview mikehagen!

Randy

Scottish_Flyer
7th Sep 2009, 14:01
I've got an interview date! All I can say is I'm delighted! We'll see how it goes...

Congrats mikehagen, good luck with the interview!

Can you say how long from initial application online to receiving call/email invite to interview? Also if you are Skipper or FO?

Much appreciated,

SF

RandyBMC
7th Sep 2009, 17:50
Dude, you need to chill. I know fly2AK, and I also know he is not a kiss a$$. And if you are trying to infer that okc and fly2ak are the same person, I know you are wrong there too.

You obviously have a beef with okc, and it seems flydubai for that matter. So what is the story? Why so bitter? Did you fail one of his checkrides or even an interview? It seems to me he has been very helpful on the forum regarding fz, but I do not know him. I am sincerely curious as to why you can't seem to stand him so much.

I don't quite understand your PS either. If the planes are currently full without **** on the planes now, I think it was a valid question as to why they felt the need for a sale. And what isn't touchy feely? Are you sober?

Randy

mikehagen
7th Sep 2009, 21:50
Thanks a lot guys! I tell you, I can,t hardly wait!

It must have been about 7 to 10 weeks from applying online to the phone call. I,m applying for FO.

Cheers!:ok:

primeco
8th Sep 2009, 11:46
congrats mike hagen on your interview. Any chance you can keep notes on what the interview process will be like. I recently just applied to FD as well and awaiting for an interview date. It will be good to hear from some one who has gone through the process and will have it fresh in his/her mind. Any info will be much appreciated. Best of luck with your interviews.

cheers:ok:

mikehagen
9th Sep 2009, 03:59
You've got it! :ok:

mave292
9th Sep 2009, 11:46
Hi guys , could anyone tell me how many hours per month you are flying as a F/O and what the take home pay is per month ? I start with FD in Nov and just curious is it what they are quoting at the interview , thanks

fly2AK
10th Sep 2009, 22:18
Right now guys are flying around 50 hrs per month and the rest of the time just been hanging out. So based on the CURRENT pay rates for an FO you will take home 35,700 dirhams. I hope that answers your question. Randy, sorry I missed you while I was in DEN . I know you are busy and my time was pretty tight while I was there as wel, but I will see you here in the sand box. Cheers.

primeco
11th Sep 2009, 10:20
Hi Fly2AK was wondering if its not to personal to ask how do you find it paying for your own housing with the salary that they are paying do you have enough money saved over every month?kindly advise am pondering on whether that move would be beneficial to me or not.

RandyBMC
12th Sep 2009, 20:23
No problem! I still owe you a pint once I get there. See you soon! :ok:

Randy

13th Sep 2009, 10:29
Hi everybody,

I know that at the first recruitment in Flydubai they were calling non Type-rated (737) pilots but I wonder if they keep doing this as of today.
Thanks in advance and good luck to all the new guys at Flydubai.
Best regards.

fly2AK
13th Sep 2009, 20:57
Primeco....The allowance can get you by but depending on your family size it may not cover everything. With the new rates it will make it a bit more difficult. The allowance of 14,000 Dhs is enough to cover a 2 bed room in a reasonable area. Every situation is different and you must evaluate for yourself what is reasonable and what is not, you can find 3 bedroom places for 150,000 Dhs per year, but remember that is rent only. You may need to buy furniture, appliances, cable and you will need to pay for electricy, internet and gas. All that extra increases your need for living expenses and will cut into your salary and right now no one other than TRE's/TRI's are flying much over 50 hrs per month. I know it is pretty lengthy and vague answer for what seemed like a simple question, but I hope it helps. I want to make sure you make the best decision you can and have honest information. You will not be able to commute, the rosters won't allow it. The rumblings out there and in here are regret for some and disappointment for others because of the rosters/schedules are not what was to be expected. We will see if they change since we are a new airline, but as of now the rosters are not good for commuting or taking a trip to explore the region. You don't work much, but you sit on standby a lot when not flying. Good luck, I hope this helps you and everyone else reading this bored.

Random75
14th Sep 2009, 13:35
Hi.

Have just had a missed call from a number in UAE Dubai. I can only guess it was from Fly Dubai as I applied a while back. Have tried calling the number back and rings onto a voicemail. Tried about 5 times and left a message now. Does anybody know if once they try ringing, you are then back to the bottom of the pile?
Annoyed to say the least that I missed it. Any info would be great!!

The number ended 669 if anyone else has had the same.

Regards, R75

SOPS
14th Sep 2009, 15:51
Office hours end at 3.30pm and as we are now in Ramadam they may end even eairler..or never begin in the first place...keep on calling you will get an answer sometime.................

fractional
14th Sep 2009, 18:39
Random75
Ninish would a good time to call. They should be in.

northern boy
15th Sep 2009, 07:47
Anyone got a working email address for CV's? The advertised one just bounces them straight back.

LEAFITOUT
15th Sep 2009, 12:50
nine o`clock roughly.....:}

Monur
15th Sep 2009, 13:15
Random75,

After submitting your application, was your first response from Flydubai the telephone call or had you received an email of some description from them beforehand?

Hope you get through to them...................

RandyBMC
15th Sep 2009, 14:07
I wouldn't worry too much about missing the call. I know that is easy for me to say, but in my experience, almost everything is done through email. The phone calls are more of a follow up. I would still try to call them, but look for an email soon too if it was a call for an interview invite.

Hope that helps!
Randy

primeco
15th Sep 2009, 18:17
Hey FLY2AK thanks alot for your insight its really helped but at the end of it all its as you say the only way you can get a true picture of it all is being in the pit yourself as everyones view and experiences are different. All the same i really appreciate your honest opinion. Hope you dont mind me asking a few more questions. What was the interview process like? What sort of questions do they ask? What about upgrading to Capt? Are they looking at opening up other routes? Your assistance is highly appreciated. Keep the blue side up..cheers:ok:

fly2AK
16th Sep 2009, 04:57
The interview process is very relaxed and stress free. Your questions will be based off your physch eval. So for example if the physchologist says your impatient they will ask you to tell them a time that required you to exercise patients. The computer testing is basic math, aeronautical information, task management skills, ect.... the sim is 2 approaches one VFR and the other is vectors for an ILS with an engine failure, you will also get a go around on the visual. You will get a sim brief so there will be no surprises. Then you do a pretty lengthy medical, that is pretty much the bulk of the interview. I have earlier post on here that is a little more in depth, it's been a while since I interviewed and there has been a few minor changes but not much I am aware of. Upgrade is looking at about a year to a year and a half. We have been adding some new routes and will continue to add more routes as new aircraft arrive. Destinations are anywhere within 4 1/2 hrs of Dubai. Good luck......Fly

primeco
16th Sep 2009, 16:23
FLY2AK i appreciate all your answers to all my questions. Well guess will just wait for the call and see what happens when they call.cheers mate and hope to see you in the pit soon.:ok:

Cityliner
16th Sep 2009, 18:04
Is this the same Kathryn Ferguson as in EK recruitment Department signing the informationletter?
Thought EK has nothing to do with Fly Dubai!

Cloud Bunny
17th Sep 2009, 10:48
Hi chaps. At the moment I'm not in the application process for FlyDubai however am looking at it in the next 18 months or so. My Mrs has a chance to head out there and we are considering it as from what we reckon we can save some cash to help us with getting on the property ladder back here in the UK. However, reading some of the posts on here I am a little confused as I seem to be getting conflicting information from people I know living out there (not flying) and this site.
With regard to the salary package as it is a the moment is the Housing Allowance of 12,000 part of the 17,000 Basic pay? Meaning if you spend all of your housing allowance you are left with just 5,000AED out of your basic pay? From what I understand from my friends that would make living there pretty much impossible. If not, then I can't quite understand why there is so much negativity towards the pay. If you take the basic pay, transport allowance and sector pay (based on the 80 hours which I know you're not flying at the moment because of the early days of the operation) that totals 26,700AED which when converted into GBP is £4,400. If your rent is then a seperate allowance from which you could also squeeze out your utilities if you don't blow it all on rent then surely this is an improvement over most jobs out there. I get currently about £3,500-£3,800 a month in my 737-800 job here in the UK and out of that comes rent, utilities, car costs etc etc. To me looking at it the FD package is very good. I know about the other aspects of living costs in Dubai from people I know who live out there and bearing in mind that we will be a two income household I can't see how a move out to FD would be anything but a good one. Please can someone clarify this for me as being positive is clearly wrong!! FYI the Mrs would be on the equivalent of £3,000/month (about 18,000AED), with various insurances and a car. Would we survive???
Thank you chaps. I have other questions relating to flying in the Middle East and Sub Continent but one a time eh??!!! :ok:

fly2AK
17th Sep 2009, 11:02
The housing allowance is seperate from the basic allowance. The grief comes from the 10% cut in pay. Many people give up a lot to come to Fly Dubai to make and save money for their future. So with FD cutting pay it has been discouraging for some. For many like myself, we are the only ones working and aren't fortunate to have two incomes while we are here in Dubai. I hope that provides a little insight on why there is negativity out there towards pay.

Cloud Bunny
17th Sep 2009, 11:34
Thanks for the quick reply. I can appreciate why that would be the cause of negative feeling. I work for Ryanair here in the UK so I'm fully conversant in feeling like you're taking it up the wrongun'!!!
Any other info would be greatly appreciated as well as any insights into the operating environment in the Middle East/Sub Continent. My experience thus far has been around the whole of Europe and North Africa and just wondering what the differnces are to be expected. Like I said I'm not looking to make any move for at least 18 months anyway but would be good to start getting an idea.
Thanks again.

skysod
17th Sep 2009, 17:35
For all of you guys out there thinking about whether to apply or not, I have been here for a little over 2 months now, just completed my line training and I know it's still early days, but I am loving it out here!

Just rented a beautiful brand new apartment on the palm with spectacular views and the rent allowance covers the cost.
This is my fourth type rating course since entering commercial flying, and the training facilities provided were second to none that I have experienced.

The management team out here bend over backwards to help you settle in and I have absolutely no complaints............and no I'm not a management pilot....just a humble F/O.

The wife joined me just last week and she also thinks that she will be very happy here.

That said, there are some who are not quite as satisfied as I am, but I think if you have a positive attitude and are ready to embrace the life style you will enjoy life in Dubai, however if you just look for the negatives, then you will find them and Dubai will not suit everyone.:):)

fly2AK
17th Sep 2009, 19:30
Skysod is correct, basically you make this place and this job what it is. If you come in negative, it will be easy to be unhappy and on the flip side if you come in with a positive outlook then you will have an awesome time here. Where I come from is full of mountains, lakes, rivers, ocean, wildlife and plenty of snow in the winters. Coming to Dubai made me a bit nervous on how well I would adjust, so far I am having a great time here considering the complete polar opposite Dubai is from home. Working for Fly Dubai has been a great, stress free environment to work in thanks to a majority of our managment. I hope it stays this way. Enough PR for tonight if you have any questions that your looking for honest answers to, I will do my best to help.

Fly

Bahamapilot
18th Sep 2009, 01:24
Does your schedule allow you to commute to work? Or do all the line pilots

live in Dubai?

fly2AK
18th Sep 2009, 03:36
no it does not allow commuting, at best you will get 3 days off in a row. You do a lot of standby/reserve on the days your not scheduled to fly.

trent1974
18th Sep 2009, 19:11
The 50 credit hours or so that you are working right now, does this include all the reserve shifts? How long are the reserve shifts and how many credit hours do you get for each?

Cheers

fly2AK
19th Sep 2009, 13:17
This does not include your reserve shifts, which are about 10 hours. You get no credit for sitting on reserve. Hope that helps

Beeroclock
20th Sep 2009, 03:25
Was offered an interview sent them the date i wanted that they offered organised to get time off then never heard back from them again......

RandyBMC
24th Sep 2009, 00:08
Well Beeroclock, did you try emailing them about it??

Beeroclock
24th Sep 2009, 04:35
Sure did..And i sent my passport like they asked!! Arranged for my roster to be built around the dates as i cant get leave.. Those dates have since come and gone!!Have now received another invite with more dates only problem i dont think work will be so willing to again build my roster for me to attend so i will probably have to decline..Oh well these things happen,good luck to all who do attend.

Cheers

fly2AK
24th Sep 2009, 11:08
Beeroclock.....Sorry about the misfortune, I wish I could have helped but unfortunately I have nothing to do with the recruiting here. I am just a pion line pilot!

ask26
26th Sep 2009, 23:29
fly2AK/skysod:

Do you get much help with finding accom or places to try. I don't know Dubai whatsoever and there seems to be a tremendous variety of places available. If you are willing to say how much are you paying and for what, and how did you find it. Overall so far are you making a profit?

fly2AK
27th Sep 2009, 02:12
Can't really say about whether the company is profitable or not yet. Still to early and a lot of cost in startup/expansion, so profits do take time and patience. With that said I don't have any concerns with FD and their sustainability or survivablity. You can find 2 bedrooms that are with in you housing allowance, right now I am paying a bit much at 180,000 a year, but there are cheaper places that are unfurnished and will range around 120,000 not including utilities/phone/internet/cable tv. A realtor can help you find places and will charge a small fee , but I think it is worth it.

fly2AK
27th Sep 2009, 20:57
my place is about 1,400 sq ft. Location has a lot to do with travel time. Without traffic you can plan about 30 min from the palm. Send me a PM and we will talk more.

RandyBMC
27th Sep 2009, 21:33
You can also check out Dubai Property Real Estate for Sale and Rent. Jobs in Dubai, Classifieds in Dubai with Dubizzle.com (http://www.dubizzle.com) - it is where I have been looking. I am looking at 3 bedroom villas in Arabian Ranches, Jumeirah and Springs/Meadows. I know of folks in JBR that are at or under the allowance from flydubai as well.

Good luck!
Randy

Raging Balls
28th Sep 2009, 10:41
Hi all, got an interview coming up and was hoping to get more of an idea of what to expect in the initial testing phase - I read somewhere that there was an in depth explanation but since pprune have merged the threads I think some have gone missing!

Is it just general maths q's or there any particular areas I need to revise - equal time points, semicircular rule etc? :ok:

RandyBMC
28th Sep 2009, 13:39
I think it is fair to give you the information they provide. There really aren't any secrets, as they tell you exactly what the process will be once you arrive.

The first day is a quick intro to the company, followed by timed tests of math, reaction times, ATPL questions, and a stick and rudder test, almost like a video game.

The math test, which is what I was worried about, is general stuff, not aviation related. Basic algebra and geometry (Pythagorean theorem) and some decimal division and multiplication. The big thing with the math is time - try to skip anything taking too long.

The only other part of the written you can study for is the ATPL questions. It is JAA, not FAA, based.

You then head to the simulator for the evaluation.

The sim eval ride may be different for everyone, as even my partner and I had slight variations. It is a visual circuit with no flight director, autopilot or autothrottle, and no ILS or VASI/PAPI. From that, you will do a go around then get everything back. The engine fails and you do a single engine approach to minimums, see the runway and land. Everything is done out of DXB.

If you pass day 1, they call you in the hotel room and invite you back for day 2. It involves a full HR brief, followed by two psychometric tests that you can't study for. They then have upper management speak with you, in my case the Chief Pilot, who was a great guy. After a short break, you are then brought in for the panel interview with a pilot and an HR person, and I would bet that the questions asked are based on the results of your psychometric profile. They are all situational, with no technical questions other than maybe some small follow ups on your stories. Have a lot of your aviation stories ready. I used Checklist for Success by Cheryl Cage to prep for that part, and it seemed to work well. After the panel interview, you are brought to the psychologist, who gives you feedback on the tests you took in the morning. They are spot on! He may follow up with further questions as well.

Once compete, you then head to the clinic for a lengthy and thorough medical that involves a hearing test, eye exam, physical exam, bloodwork, urine sample, EKG, and chest X-ray. This is a long process, so bring a book (4 hours or more).

After the interview is completed, you will be notified 4-7 weeks from the date on success or not.

My general perception is that it would be a great place to work for. Everyone involved really gives you the idea that they want you to be there. The culture reminded me of Southwest, though tighter knit. The facilities are Emirates', and are extremely impressive.

I know there have been changes made to the process since I was interviewed. It now is a three day process, and my guess is they just moved the medical to the last day. I would certainly not study "the interview", but rather prepare yourself by doing some study on your personal stories and brush up on your math. They will get to know you through this process, so be yourself!

Hope that helps!
Randy

sky-diver
30th Sep 2009, 18:43
Good evening all.

I’ve read through all of the post in the thread and it’s all very informative. Thanks for that.

I just have a few questions and I hope those in the know can help with some answers.

I’ve just submitted an application, however the server timed-out. Has anyone else had similar problems recently? Is there an automated e-mail to say it’s been received?
How strictly is the 2500hr TT limit being applied? I’m short of that, but have 1500hrs on the 73. Thanks in advance if you can help.

SD

RandyBMC
30th Sep 2009, 20:32
Can't answer those questions. I do know that they just changed back to a 2 day format again.

Considering all of the applicants, I would think they are pretty firm on the time requirements. It is certainly good that you have all of the 737 time, maybe they will make an exception?

Randy

sky-diver
30th Sep 2009, 21:25
Thanks for the feedback Randy!

I hope they can make an exception - sure does sound like a great airline to get involved with for the long term!!

SD.

Scottish_Flyer
30th Sep 2009, 21:32
I’ve read through all of the post in the thread and it’s all very informative. Thanks for that.

As sky-diver says, a very informative thread - refreshingly few whingers and moaners! Just the facts which is the important stuff for those wanting to be a part of FD.

Just a question if I may regds timings. I applied online at the end of July. I have 2600 TT, 2400 B737 time but havn't heard anything yet? Is this time scale usual or would this seem to be heading for the big wastepaper bin?

Also has anyone resent an updated app once a suitable timescale has passed?

All comments appreciated

Cheers

SF

RandyBMC
1st Oct 2009, 00:22
I don't know what a reasonable time would be at this point. Maybe some of the other guys doing an interview presently can help you out with that one. I applied really early on (before FZ started operation and was just an idea), didn't hear anything, then received an email after a friend of mine checked on my status about 6 months later.

Hope that helps!

Randy

primeco
1st Oct 2009, 09:24
Hi Randy BMC quick question. I read in your previous post that you worked for south west. Any reasons for you leaving?whats the job market like at the moment? I know the economy is in shambles just been thinking of making a move out of my current job so am really open to anything at the moment. your comments and thoughts will be appreciated.

happy contrails:ok:

fly2AK
1st Oct 2009, 11:23
Primeco, I think you misunderstood Randy in regards to southwest. He said FD reminded him of the southwest culture. I know Randy and he was not at southwest, I am sure Randy will correct me if I am wrong. The market out here (in general) is not good by any means. The US has thousands of pilots on furlough and that has fueled the reason for many to come to the middle east for work. There is work out here for pilots but the competition is pretty tough. Scottish_Flyer to address your questions on time, to be honest the lowest time guy I have met here has over 4000 hrs. In my class alone one guy was about 4500, 2 of us were 10,000 hrs and the other had 8000 hrs and we all had B737 time as well. Don't let this discourage you because the one thing you have going for yourself is you do have over 2000 hours B737 time and right now the company has been focusing on guys/gals with the B737 type rating, it just may take a litle bit of time to get to you. I spoke to someone who said it took him 9 months before he heard anything from FD, sucks I know, but be patient and your time will come. Right now there are a lot of high time pilots on the street looking for a job. Good luck I hope that helps, if you make it here I think you will enjoy your time with FD.

sky-diver
1st Oct 2009, 12:27
Hi flyA2K,

It looks like I may be short on hours, I just hope the time on type will help! I’m fairly sure Scottish_Flyer and I are in the same boat…

I’m certainly not put off – just need to keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

SD

RandyBMC
1st Oct 2009, 12:36
primeco,

As AK said, not Southwest. I was at a Legacy carrier in the US (the oldest airline in existence as a matter of fact, if you go back to the first airmail flight in 1926 on Varney).

The job market in the US right now is totally nonexistent. There are a few regional carriers (RJ) still hiring, but my family and I are done living on Ramen Noodles :) I worked up from the flight instruction position, as many of us did, and worked for peanuts during a big chunk of my life. The Middle East is one of the few spots you can be a new joiner and make a decent livable wage from the start in.

In particular, FZ has a great opportunity potential. You get to be part of building a new airline, with decent culture and people already on the ground. I am very excited about this chance to restart my airline career! :ok:

Again, feel free to PM me if you have any questions or are heading out for an interview.

Hope that helps,
Randy

primeco
1st Oct 2009, 16:49
Thanks alot Randy BMC and FLY2AK i guess i just misread your comments about southwest. All the same i appreciate your honesty. Your right about the US because i had a friend who has been trying to look for work there and lets just say he is doing odd jobs just to stay a float. I guess i just need to think things through and decide what i want for my family and my career. I will take you up on your offer Randy BMC as with the current airline i work for flys to DXB on a daily basis so once i see it on my roster will be sure to PM you. Once again thanks for the info guys and wish you happy contrails:ok:

RandyBMC
1st Oct 2009, 22:13
Cool primeco, I look forward to meeting you and having a chat.

Take care!
Randy

fly2AK
2nd Oct 2009, 12:30
Sky-Diver.....I hope you make it out here. You have the time and experience to do the job, right now it's just a matter of competition and there is a lot of it out there, but I am sure in time it will work out, lets just hope for sooner rather than later. Good luck.

Fly

Danny2009
2nd Oct 2009, 13:59
Guy's, please do read up on EK resignations....
Please be advised.... Flydubai is managed by EK or exEK management...
Be carefull.... the deal may look good.... but contracts are not being honored......

fly2AK
2nd Oct 2009, 16:03
Danny2009.......I will look at the thread and read up on that. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss it more. Thanks......Fly

mave292
12th Oct 2009, 09:18
Hi guys , just a quick one , do FD start paying you from day one on the induction course or from when you do your LST ?? Also are there any problems getting the 6 months advance on the accommadation allowance ? Thanks

winch launch
14th Oct 2009, 17:51
Hi,

Tried to go over this very long thread but probably missed a few things so sorry if these questions were asked before.

What do the rosters look like at FD? Is it easy to commute to Europe? What s the max Days off you get in a row and how many "long" rest periods do you get per month? Do you get staff travel on UAE airlines and more?

As it seems that some people from EK are behind flydubai (Well that s what I understood), would it make it harder for me to join EK if I want to fly longhaul later on? Maybe they wouldn t take pilots from an airline in the same group?

Thanks

RandyBMC
14th Oct 2009, 19:19
You actually start getting paid when you step on the airplane to come to Dubai for induction. I am figuring out the 6 month allowance advance now, so I am not sure yet how it will go. I was told not to anticipate any problems.

As far as rosters, you have some trips assigned for the month, and a lot of standby days. There are about 5 days off scheduled. Standby days are typically not flying days, and can be done from home (or the beach!). All trips are day trips (out and back), so you are home every night. There are no overnight stays.

I would say a commute to Europe would be very difficult, just due to the standby days and low number of days off actually scheduled into the roster.

We have travel on flydubai for ourselves and family plus a few friends. We also have travel on EK for just ourselves and immediate family. All of these are ID90 and ID50 tickets, so it is not free. There are no jumpseat privileges, which seems typical in the ME.

On going to EK from flydubai, I am not sure. I plan to stay here, so it wasn't a concern for me. Maybe someone else can answer. If I had to guess, I would say it will be a matter of staffing more than anything. If EK is really short, and flydubai is OK, they may take you (after an application and interview I'm sure), and if it is opposite, I would guess not. This is purely speculation on my part.

Hope that helps! I am really enjoying Dubai and flydubai so far :ok:

Randy

Mehran
14th Oct 2009, 20:14
Thanks for all the info about FlyDubai.Would you recommend Flydubai as good company to work for? and are they welling to upgrade experienced FOs, and last but not least how is the money for FOs after all the expenses?

RandyBMC
15th Oct 2009, 22:53
Money is decent, eh (I see you are from Canada).

I honestly love it so far! Very close knit community, and a lot of good guys/girls here.

They are planning to phase out all together the DECs and go to straight FO upgrades. I would say the potential is good.

Hope that helps!
Randy

winch launch
16th Oct 2009, 07:51
Thanks for your input Randy,

Do you know what are the requirements (min hours/years in the company...) for FD FOs to switch to the left seat?

Thanks!

Winch

long-gonner
16th Oct 2009, 09:44
3500 total time, 500 PIC in multi crew aircraft
2 OPCs at flydubai
12 months service at flydubai

Puritan
16th Oct 2009, 12:01
... and you have to pass the Command assessment process (it's not just a given)!

lowvaeater
16th Oct 2009, 12:12
Since the 500 PIC requirement for the FO position has been removed, how can one get the PIC time once joined FZ?

Does PIC/US (PF) count towards PIC time?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

btw, are there any Asians flying for FZ?

RandyBMC
16th Oct 2009, 12:45
I believe according to the GCAA you can substitute up to 50% of your FO time for PIC.

EDIT

- I found out that you can actually use one landing for one hour up to half of the time required for upgrade.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Redline
19th Oct 2009, 03:47
So are you guys managing to put money away after all your expenses? I would only go if after 3/5 years I could come bck with a healthy sum...

Redline
22nd Oct 2009, 08:53
I've been invited for an interview...Anyone advise on dress code?

Almendrudo
22nd Oct 2009, 15:14
You can wear your sunday best...:}
Common man. It is an interview. Wear a nice suit.

winch launch
25th Oct 2009, 18:34
?

So if you don t have JET PIC experience before joing FD there is no way to meet the criteria for an upgrade? There has to be other criteria for their FOs with no previous command experience?

Winch

lowvaeater
26th Oct 2009, 07:11
Thanks for that Randy, I guess the problem for some of us would be getting the other half. Cheers!

silverhawk
31st Oct 2009, 15:49
Hi All

I'm applying on-line, well I'm trying to. When I try to submit the form I recieve this error message 'Input string was not in correct format'

I've emailed flyDubai with a query but no response so far.

Anyone else experienced this or have a fix?

RandyBMC
31st Oct 2009, 19:26
Obviously, there will be issues with different individuals' flight times. The good news is that there are provisions in the manual to allow upgrade at the discretion of the Chief Pilot. All upgrades will require an interview from what I am told, and I am sure that at the time of the interview if there is an issue with hours it will be discussed.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Artisan
1st Nov 2009, 02:06
The current contract is not attractive to DEC's (unless already unemployed), so I would say that upgrade prospects for experienced F/O's would be excellent.

Daniel744
2nd Nov 2009, 08:42
Hi guys,

I'm just interested if some of you have experience with the same situation as I have. In the beginning of September I received a phone call from Flydubai. I got several questions and finally the guy told me 'O.K., our coordinator will contact you shortly'. I'm still waiting for an email or a call from them. Does anybody know if it's standard for them to wait so long or it was hiden message saying 'soory, but you are not good enough for us'.

Thanks for your opinion

D.

NineForks
16th Nov 2009, 17:31
Anybody from within know what sort of hours they will upgrade an FD FO from?

Advertising 5000 hrs for DECaptains, can this figure be reduced based on training etc for somebody who joins as an FO?

VONKLUFFEN
19th Nov 2009, 10:39
The contract states 80 hrs. What is the guarantee block time? Or is 80 and you are paid even if you fly, lets say 50? I assume overtime or extra pay will be after 80 right? :confused:

fatbus
19th Nov 2009, 11:55
You assume wrong, 80 hrs is the target, paid for only the hrs you do

VONKLUFFEN
20th Nov 2009, 00:09
...Captains
Salary per month
Value in AED
Basic salary
Housing allowance
Transportation allowance
Variable Flying Pay
(based on working an 80 hour month)
Projected Total

Then no flights, no 12000 AED? 1 hour = 150AED => 50hrs = 7500 AED.
Interesting. Months with annual leave you don't get much to spend LOL.

Anyone at Flydubai who can tell us how much time are you flying at this stage? Any other interesting insights that you would like to share, regarding money , FD, housing, etc?
Thx

NineForks
29th Nov 2009, 21:06
Interesting stuff re flight hours currently 2AK. Can you confirm what they are looking for to upgrade internal FO's in future please?

kkikke2003
30th Nov 2009, 02:18
does any one knows which and where to find the right compass test included on day one of the selection process at Flydubai

concretewall
1st Dec 2009, 18:00
I can confirm that FD will do internal upgrades.The requirement is 3 opc/lpc before you can upgrade.
The hours of flying per month has been approx 40hrs the last few months,but it's picking up in desember with aprrox 60-70 hrs.
I can only speak for my self,but i really enjoy working for FD.I just hope it will stay like this !

NineForks
1st Dec 2009, 20:06
Hi concrete. Can you elaborate more please, 3 x OPC = 1.5 years, how many total hrs min is what i am after really?

Cloud Bunny
5th Dec 2009, 18:12
Hi chaps, just after a bit of info from those of you currently with FD. I'm looking into the general living expenses in Dubai. I know the city as a tourist but obviously living there is something quite different. So, what I'm after is how much does weekly shopping bill work out at on average? What car are you driving and what is the lease/rent on that? Unrelated in terms of costs but what areas are you guys living in? Anything else you can think of that would be useful to know would be much appreciated.
My own circumstances, should we come out, would be young married couple, no kids, and two incomes. We're just trying to work out roughly what life would be like.
Please PM if you like. Thanks guys.:)

windshear-a-head
15th Dec 2009, 09:31
All seems to have gone quiet at FD, any news on people being accepted for interview?

long-gonner
15th Dec 2009, 12:33
Interviews every week for FO's. DEC hiring should be finished early next year and then upgrades sometime around the summer. Airplane number 6 is out flying and the next arrives in March. Not much else to report......

PHAROH
15th Dec 2009, 18:57
concretewall (http://www.pprune.org/members/309538-concretewall)

I don't know about FD but I've came across few low cost drivers , when it comes to the low cost concept believe it or not the best has passed & the worst yet to come.
"money versus reputation & money will always win"

CaptGlenQuagmire
30th Dec 2009, 06:12
FD sounded interesting, but hearing mixed reports..

Heard yesterday that rostering dept have stated that:

Pilots must remain contactable on days off.
Min days off (ie 7 per month)
Request days off not permitted.

Many reserve and standby duties. Pilots have leave canx in Dec.
Rosters published on 25th month !

can this be correct?

Voodoo 3
30th Dec 2009, 06:24
Capt Glen,

Yep!! :*

FZckntkawrap
30th Dec 2009, 13:03
CGQ,

Some true, some not true.

Company did cx some vacations in December saying there would be more flying.....that flying never happened and the pilots that lost vacation ended up flying low time rosters (like 40 hours!)

Min days off, usually 7 or 8 total, and if you get a group of 3 days off you are supposed to give scheduling a big thank you hug! Rosters by the 25th if we are lucky. The schedule is known for the next 3 months, maybe with some minor changes, but they won't release the rosters until the last minute. Leave are not approved until the month before, so you have little time to plan any escape from Dubai. Seems to be a mafia of Indians running the office part of the airline, trying to create some kind of utopia where "everyone" is equal, meaning pilots get the same amount of days off as the office people.

The latest kick in the face came when they kicked the pilots out of the company car park. Now we get to park in an open, unsecured, unlighted car park by a car dealership and walk to the briefing area through a sand and dirt sidewalk. That's great for our female pilots and cabin crew, especially with no security provided at 3am when you get back from your sector!

As usual, not what was advertised in the interview...."you do the math" and run!

B737NG_man
3rd Jan 2010, 06:05
Hi all,

I've got a email confirming 01 Feb, 2010 as selection process in DXB. Guess FD is back at recruitment. Hope FlyAk's and OKC's posts help me. Will let you all know what develops!!:ok:

Cheers and wish you all a very happy new year!!:D

FZckntkawrap
6th Jan 2010, 15:58
Plenty to choose from. 80,000 AED and up should get you something around the Marina. Palm would be more.

Lunarflyer
10th Jan 2010, 09:52
So are those guys that are describing the events of December now feeling hostile toward the company? Or is this just part of the typical growing pains of a new airline???

Ali Ronn
13th Jan 2010, 05:27
Bunch of whinging sissies - in the current economic climate, they should be grateful to have a great job in the sunshine! It's a new Company not even flying 7 months yet - what do they expect?

Perhaps they'd rather be working for a nice solid UK company, with a strong union that really looks after them (if they're in the top 50% of the seniority list ofcourse) and rostering rules as tight as your a**e - then they can sit back and relax on all their days off, while they wait for their redundancy notice to drop through the letter box.

Car park? Sheesh - try staff west for a few years!

giggedy
13th Jan 2010, 16:06
Ali,

Staff west man, magnatex LHR, you name it, they're all pretty bad !

But, bit tired of this ''be grateful you got a job'' twaddle.

Its pretty simple, the FD job's not as described. There some worrying trends developing. Its only seven months on and pals on the inside reckon its showing signs of going down the emirates route. Changes in contract terms (pay, medical etc)

Some terms and conditions like sensible rostering, leave planning have nothing to do with the economy.

Its tough everywhere, but everytime someone is prepared to accept that little bit less we inch closer to pilots earning £100 for an 8 day week.

Have a look at the latest easy and Jet II contracts, you can see where its going! FD is supposed to be better than that.

williewalsh
14th Jan 2010, 05:01
Hey Randybmc care to counter these allegations. Or are you over your group hug US whoop whoop , be the best you can be bull at FD yet, and waking up to the realities of the Middle East, Indian clerks, and expat management who dont give two sheiks about you. I believe you slated me a few months ago in your euphoria. Did I have a problem? Had I failed a ride? etc etc. Care to update me.Genuinely curious. Be honest now.
Now Old King Coal
is a quiet old soul
flying in the middle E
maybe hes gone
for a line trg flight
or just a der liv er y

Ali Ronn
14th Jan 2010, 07:01
Giggedy - I hear what you say.

But the reality of life in a capitalist free market economy (or something working on similar principles) is that businesses are there to make a profit. The clever ones will not try to do it at the expense of their employees (Ryanair?) however, when margins are squeezed we ALL need to share the pain, otherwise there will be no business to work for.

Yes, the contract for new joiners is slightly less than the old one, but nobody already in the Company had a paycut - unlike some pilots in the UK! Neither was anyone forced to accept the new contract - if they didn't like it there was someone in the queue right behind them that WOULD be 'grateful for the job'.

If pilots are working for less or having to put up with changes in working practises, surely it is a reflection of the industry as whole and not just one airline? The airline industry has changed forever with mass availability of low cost seats. The T & Cs for all employees of this industry will eventually follow suit and I'm surprised you can't see that. If you think there is some kind of utopia where employees never have to accept negative trends then think of some industries where that philosophy was tried - British Leyland? British Steel? British Coal? Perhaps British Airways in the not too distant future? How long shall I make the list?

The rostering is far from perfect, but is that to punish the pilots or to protect the company's competitive edge? How do you know whether or not there is the possibility of a new route opening on the day of your standby? Do you think leave is notified late because they WANT to make life difficult for their workforce, or because logistically it's a nightmare to organise? These things will get sorted over time. Working in this industry requires flexibility and adaptability, all the more so with a brand new company. If you can't stomach the changes, find a job in public services in the UK. They don't have to put up with the realities of life because, ofcourse, our trusty labour government just steals the money it needs out of our pockets. And they are another bunch of people that should find another job...

If you know of a better deal elsewhere, I'd love to hear about it...

RandyBMC
14th Jan 2010, 07:11
I am loving it!

I had a tough time when I first arrived, which was definitely due to the company being new. There was just confusion about the procedures in Dubai to attain housing, loans, set up utilities, etc. as flydubai was taking over the HR processes from EK and nothing concrete had been established to guide new hires.

There are certainly issues, as every airline have, but I do see most working together to try to solve them. Every place I have been has had a few bad apples, and I am sure we have them in every department in one form or another. Mostly though, people are trying to do their best. I honestly believe that. I hope because of that, things will slowly improve over time with regard to rostering and leave. They already have started to improve in relation to flight hours, which was a complaint recently. Even with leave in January, I am flying 58 hours.

The contract changes with pay were made known to all who joined - no changes were made to anyone's pay (transport and housing allowance) after they had signed the contract. I don't like that our pay was reduced, but it was not a surprise.

I have also flown with a lot of guys that I really like here. So far, I have had a great time on the line and at Barasti. I've made good friends that my wife and I spend a lot of time with, and my kids love their school. I do miss having a garage (I have always worked on cars).

There are days that I hear things that upset me, but on the whole, I am really happy (still) with flydubai.

Hope that helps!
RandyBMC

Fubaliera
14th Jan 2010, 09:59
Will fly Dubai ever start hiring guys with out a time in type

FZckntkawrap
14th Jan 2010, 18:35
They have before, and I'm sure that day will come sooner rather than later if they don't knock the BS off with the schedules......

FUA
14th Jan 2010, 18:52
Hi guys!!
Does anyone of you know how to update the CV for FD?
Do I have to create another account?
Thanks.

lpokijuhyt
14th Jan 2010, 19:27
Randy: Are you an ex United or Frontier pilot? Thx

giggedy
15th Jan 2010, 08:27
Ali,

I agree with some of what you say, Youre preaching to the converted, ie. I disagree with BA strikes etc, but I think its a little harsh to go around calling people a 'bunch of sissies' because things do not appear to be turning out as promised!

I assume you work for FD? I dont. Theres a few of us (LCC in the uk) that were interested as some colleagues have already gone to FD. Some are also heading to FR. (chalk and cheese!) I was curious about FD but surprised at the less than glowing feedback at this early stage. You obviously have useful inside info, perhaps you can share with those considering the move?

Not sure I or understand what youre getting at re punishing pilots with the rostering. (Have they done anything wrong?)

From what I hear its difficult to plan a life around the rosters and leave. Nothing wrong with expecting a life outside work in any job or industry eh? Any of the present ops/rostering systems can account for additional flights, changes, leave, training, expansion etc. In 2010 I cant really see why a roster has to be published just 5 days in advance in a scheduled airline with only 6 aircraft. Or why leave is allocated the month before its due. Stbys can cover unexpected flights, so there must be more to it.

Either way, Im sure it'll get on its feet soon enough. Good luck to all that have taken the plunge. :ok:

flyro
16th Jan 2010, 08:47
Giggedy,

After reading all of this ,I have to agree with you big time.Its just the initial part of the EK ****.Make no mistake ,I have to say I am looking for jobs ,even in China ,where I have to say ,Its not a fantastic place to work .I am an A330 driver with EK for 4 years now .And whoever is trying to get a job in the ME ,think twice .A bad job at home is better than another job somewhere else.
Guys and Gals be very carefull on choosing the sand crap......

Ali Ronn
16th Jan 2010, 14:50
Giggedy

The 'sissies' thing was a bit tongue in cheek. We all see things from a different perspective I suppose. From my point of view, I've done a manual job for a living, working 7 'til 7, six sometimes seven days a week. Flying for a living under all the conditions I've experienced so far still feels like a holiday to me. There's never a flight that goes by where I don't feel privileged to do the job. It seems like yesterday I was scratting round for my first flying job and I haven't forgotton the feeling of being on the outside, looking in.

As far as FD is concerned, I don't recall being promised anything in the interview that they're not trying to achieve - no need for more cliches. The management and the chief pilot imparticular are going to a lot of time and trouble to explain to crews the logic behind the current rostering practice and leave allocation and I, for one, am happy with that explanation.

There will always be some pilots that aren't happy (the collective noun for pilots is a 'whinge' for good reason!) but I certainly don't believe that this is the majority feeling.

I have no doubt that some people have had a bad experience of the Middle East, but so far, I am not one of them. FD is not Emirates, it's FD.

My experience so far (about 6 months) of the Company and Dubai has only been positive, and I would not hesitate to recommend them both to any of my friends and colleagues.

Ali

Keep walking
18th Jan 2010, 15:51
Hey guys,I am a Capt here and I can really say:This is the best 737 job available on the market...

cheers....:ok:

VONKLUFFEN
18th Jan 2010, 16:57
.... the whinners and negative guys have arrived to this thread that was ok, many giving nice,positive and informative feedback to all. Guys , get lost, become secretaries, nurses, lawyers, 7-11 clerk or whatever. Then you will have a 9-5job, weekends, sound sleep, good food, "no" (?!) boss that treat you bad or takes it personal against your dignity and ego giving you s***y shifts, etc.
Get lost if you don't understand that a new operation requires hard work and flexibility. Have you ever try to be your own boss and open a business yourself? Do you know what it takes? No ? Anyone of your family had tried it? Ask them, inform yourself before opening your mouth and poisioning everthing around you with your negativity.
Nothing is perfect and can and should be improved , agree, but wow this usual c**p is SO:ugh::mad::eek::}:yuk:
Just one question, for example, to whoever had complain about the roster being issued 5 days before month end. What is the big deal!!!!!!!!! You still can do your stuff , plan to have a beer+BBQ , go to the beach or kiss your wife on the cheek any time you are off. Do you have so many activities that 15 days planning are needed? Do you need landing clearance 40 minutes before touchdown or getting it 3 miles on final stops your heart or push you to perform a GA and run out of fuel because someone had to manage things differently ,from your perspective of course. And so the story could go on and on.
To all who like to enjoy reading pprune and are in positive mode, lets make a deal. Ignore THE WISE PROFESIONAL PILOTS THAT LIKE TO BE TREATED LIKE ONE BUT BEHEAVE LIKE ....( use your own adjective, there are many suitable) . Hopefully after a while they will get tired and will polute somewhere else.
Nop, I dont work for FD ,EK. Im not rich and Im a pilot. Critique is good but for any complaints bring a solution. A smart critique and a smart solution are the one welcomed.

S.F.L.Y
18th Jan 2010, 18:54
Excellent post!
Maybe FD should think about stopping restricting the job to 737 NG rated pilots and be more selective on abilities to get the job done while living in the region... It's sad to see such a waste.

FZckntkawrap
18th Jan 2010, 19:04
I think some are missing the point. This could be the best 737 job out there, and that's how it was presented in the interview process it would be established. A couple of simple changes could be made to the roster process (honestly there is no process, its handed to us with zero input from the pilot group) and would solve many of the issues. 160 duty hours and only flying 40 or 50 hours during a time when there is almost no training going on is idiotic. Even now the scheduling department says it doesn't really matter what call out window you have. They can call at anytime they wish and assign whatever they wish to you. All that matters is that you have minimum rest and you are good to go.

So to even have 15 days notice to plan something doesn't mean anything because the brown mafia will do whatever they want with your schedule, even on your 8 days off! This isn't being a whiner, this is presenting facts to those that want to know what's going on at FD. 6 months into operations, the company has been split into operations and office staff. I doubt that Southwest would be the company it is today if that attitude was allowed to continue as upper management is allowing at FD.

If it isn't corrected, this company won't make it very long as the front line employees will make or break this airline. Most of the flight crew at FD are willing to go the extra mile to be flexible, but unfortunately most of the office staff are unwilling to do ANYTHING unless they have thier hand forced.

trent1974
18th Jan 2010, 22:49
What are the consequences if you turn down a flight on your guaranteed day off?

S.F.L.Y
19th Jan 2010, 07:47
What are the consequences if you turn down a flight on your guaranteed day off?

Maybe this should be discussed during the interviews in order to save everyone's time (crews, managers and paxs)...

FZckntkawrap
20th Jan 2010, 06:28
SFLY, it was discussed at the interview. We were told that is was a non issue if you could not work on a day off, but we were told a lot in the interview. A lot of the US and Canadian guys are pissed about the insurance coverage. During the interview they were told it would be a "world wide" covereage plan. After the contract was signed those guys were then told it applies to every where in the world except North America :ugh:

S.F.L.Y
20th Jan 2010, 12:14
FZckntkawrap, I understand the deep disappointment those guys are going through, and it's a difficult choice to make between not having an insurance in North America and not having a job in North America. It would have been more fair if from beginning the airline hadn't recruited people from countries in which insurance wouldn't work :E

lionoftheleft
27th Jan 2010, 04:28
Hi all, is there a way to update my application form with flydubai? I looked at the website to see how but there was nothing, some help would be grateful.
Many thanks :ok:

FZckntkawrap
27th Jan 2010, 06:09
SFLY,

It's not about having one or the other. This is about a pattern of behavior from flydubai, nothing more nothing less. From talking with some of the yanks, most still did have insurance in one form or another.....employed or not.

man2222226
27th Jan 2010, 07:06
I am aeronautical engineer i am fresh graduate i have and type rating of boeing 737 ..is there any way to get inside fly dubai... i am right nnow in dubai.. can any one give some tips plzzz!!!!!!!1

trent1974
6th Feb 2010, 11:05
Seems to have gone quiet here.

Just wondering if Flydubai is still hiring FOs.

ws737
6th Feb 2010, 14:42
Fork Handles

Can you elaborate on your comment a bit?...Firing Captains?..for good reason?..I'm thinking of applying, know about the "they don't have to have a reason" mindset, just wondering about what's going on

trent1974
6th Feb 2010, 16:21
ws737,

There is nothing to elaborate on because Forkhandles is talking out of his a**.

Do you have any substantiating facts or evidence that this has happened? Do you know someone personally who has been fired without just cause?

If so, how about we hear from him/her.

Fork Handles
7th Feb 2010, 12:48
trent,
I deleted my post for 2 reasons. you only hear what you want to hear and Im sure Randy bmc can counsel you adequately. Like i said enjoy.
Randy, re pm
Could you be any cheesier. No sour grapes matey. Just fact

trent1974
7th Feb 2010, 13:25
Funny................you still didn't answer my questions.

jupilair
7th Feb 2010, 14:16
Hello,

Beginning of January I received a call from FD to verify all my data ( flight hours and licence), my contact told me that it was positive and that I can expect an interview in Feb or March and that I will receive an e-mail with confirmation for the date...Since then I have received nothing. Can somebody on this forum confirm that's the long delay between the call and the e-mail is normal.
Also if somebody can give me advices on what tests to expect on the selection days and how to prepare myself, it would be appreciate.

Best Regards,

onvacation
8th Feb 2010, 14:06
Ali,

I agree with some of what you say, Youre preaching to the converted, ie. I disagree with BA strikes etc, but I think its a little harsh to go around calling people a 'bunch of sissies' because things do not appear to be turning out as promised!

I assume you work for FD? I dont. Theres a few of us (LCC in the uk) that were interested as some colleagues have already gone to FD. Some are also heading to FR. (chalk and cheese!) I was curious about FD but surprised at the less than glowing feedback at this early stage. You obviously have useful inside info, perhaps you can share with those considering the move?

Not sure I or understand what youre getting at re punishing pilots with the rostering. (Have they done anything wrong?)

From what I hear its difficult to plan a life around the rosters and leave. Nothing wrong with expecting a life outside work in any job or industry eh? Any of the present ops/rostering systems can account for additional flights, changes, leave, training, expansion etc. In 2010 I cant really see why a roster has to be published just 5 days in advance in a scheduled airline with only 6 aircraft. Or why leave is allocated the month before its due. Stbys can cover unexpected flights, so there must be more to it.

Either way, Im sure it'll get on its feet soon enough. Good luck to all that have taken the plunge.

Flydubai is an enjoyable place to work, but the schedules are terrible. I'm not sure what they are telling guys in the interveiw, but I was never told about being on reserve / home standby. I suspect that the rostering department is either incompetent or does not like the pilot group having a good schedule. 45 hours a month and 8 days off (we have plenty of pilots on board to do way better than that).

ex-XL
8th Feb 2010, 16:28
During the flydubai interview it was said that condensed blocks of flying would be complemented by extended blocks of days off. The suggestion being that the roster would provide enough days off in a row to allow short trips to your home overseas to be made on a reasonably frequent basis. A good number of pilots joined flydubai based exactly on that premise.

The reality however is that crews at flydubai get a roster that gives them a very even distribution of duties across the month. Some might just occasionally get 3 days off in a row, but more usually they get just 2 days off in a row. This type of roster provides practically no opportunity for a trip to Europe, USA or elsewhere. So do dream-on if you think you can join flydubai and get regular trips home outside of your leave periods.

Speaking of leave. Whilst bids for leave need to be submitted many months in advance, the crews are only informed if their leave has been granted when it is just weeks or days away. Booking tickets or trying to avail of staff travel, with Emirates or any other airline, at short notice is then not the easiest, or cheapest, or most guaranteed of travel options.

Many crew have had leave forced upon them, forcing them to use their leave allocation when they did not want to and thus disrupting their plans for leave later in the year, which always assumes that flydubai does not keep pulling the same ‘forced leave’ stunt time after time throughout the year, though they might be in breach of Article 76 of UAE Employment Law if they did that?!

They get no wrap around days either side of their leave days.
They get no early finish or late start duties around days off or leave, in fact just the opposite!
Their rosters are published only a few days before they are due to start.
They have no formal facility to provide a ‘requested day off’ in advance of a published roster. If they need a certain day off they can sometimes, though not always, achieve it by bothering Crewing to see if they can get a duty swap with someone else, and even then only two duty swaps are allowed per active roster.
They only get paper rosters. They have no ability to see their roster or request a duty swap via the internet.
They get lots of standby and reserve duties, for which they do not get paid as might be the case in the USA.

It is probably true to say that these shortcomings are not the fault of the Rostering department, as it is likely that they are only following orders handed down to them from those higher-up the chain of command.

apron
8th Feb 2010, 16:37
Hi all. I have trawled through the trhreads and finding it hard to get a difinite on whether or not the f/o salary is adequet?? The advertised salary is for 80 hrs ish per month but believe that 600 hrs is more realsitic?? If you were to come out with a wife and 2 young kids is it really enough....after u pay pay house/cars/school top up fees/ etc etc

Any answers gratefully accepted :ok:

ex-XL
8th Feb 2010, 16:42
With respect to earnings, most of their pilots remain a long way short of the 80 block hours per month which was suggested at both the interview and being advertised upon their recruitment web page:

Captain - Variable flying pay (based on working an 80-hour month) AED 12,000
FO - Variable flying pay (based on working an 80-hour month) AED 8,000For the avoidance of doubt, the “80-hour month” being referred to means ’80 Block-to-Block hours’ and not ’80 Flight Duty Period hours’.

Their ratio of 'Flight Duty Period' to 'Block Hours' flown is such that 80 block hours per month should considered as the absolute maximum that can be flown in a month at flydubai. Basically, by the time that you have flown 80 block hours in your month, you are nudging along just under the 100 hours in 28 days Flight Duty Period limit.

The present reality is that their pilots are barely up to 50 block hours per month.

This shortfall in block hours has had a substantially negative impact upon their pilots take home pay. Putting it into real numbers, if the status quo on block hours flown remains as is, and there is no reason to assume it will change any time soon, the shortfall in predicted annual earnings equates to approximately USD $12,250 for a Captain, and USD $8,150 for a FO.
So subtract these from the figures quoted on the flydubai website and you might be closer to the mark on the earnings that each rank is actually achieving.

For those who might not be aware of it, Flydubai now has two pay scales for flight crew and new hires will join and stay on a ‘B’ scale package.
The basic monthly ‘B’ scale salary for a flydubai FO is 17,000 Dhs and for Captain is 23,500 Dhs. [ Dhs 3.7 = USD 1 ]

Putting that in to perspective, the basic starting salary for an Etihad FO is 25,480 Dhs per month. That just happens to be the same basic salary an ‘A’ scale Captain at flydubai.
The Eithad pilot also gets a quite generous annualised salary increment, which a flydubai pilot does not.

Much as they might not like to hear it, it is highly probable that those who have joined flydubai as an ‘A’ scale FO will go on to become a Captain on the ‘B’ scale, as their promotion will present an opportunity for the management to move them on to the lower scale of T&Cs, no doubt using the standard management tactic of “well take it or leave it”?!

It could well be suggested that, in order to attract pilots, flydubai flight ops management has not been quite as honest as they should have been about projected earnings, as cited on their web site or during the interview process.

ex-XL
8th Feb 2010, 17:49
Amelia, to avoid any confusion I would point out that I do not work for flydubai, though I do have many friends and prior colleagues who do work there. Hence the inside info. ;)

I was sent one snippet which quotes their Chief Pilot saying of their February rosters "Average flight time for February is now ranging between 50- 60 hours/credit time and will continue to climb.". When saying 'flight time' I believe what he is referring to is 'block hours'.

I think you will find that many of the flydubai pilots are taking that statement with a pinch of salt. Any higher figure that you might have was probably just an aberration caused by a backlog of folk taking leave prior to the end of 2009.

The promised addition of more aircraft and more crew will probably not do much to alleviate the lack of flying, and it might well make it worse for a while. What they need are more routes and more utilisation out of the aircraft that they already have!

Fwiw, I also think you are right about the salary, or lack of it. To go an live and work in the sandpit, with all that that entails, requires a hefty reward, not a small one!

windshear-a-head
8th Feb 2010, 19:12
Ok, so its been mentioned that the salary at FD for an F/O won't stretch that far so are guys subsidising rent costs with salary or can you find somewhere fairly descent for the said amount?

FZckntkawrap
9th Feb 2010, 12:02
With the decrease in the housing allowance many guys are sharing places. If you need a 3 bedroom apartment or villa for a family, then you will have to use some salary to cover it depending on where you are willing to live.

flymetodubai
9th Feb 2010, 14:14
hey FZckntkawrap - just wondering if the other pilots at flydubai are as blatant bigots as your good self? you sound like a joy to fly with...
:ugh:

"So to even have 15 days notice to plan something doesn't mean anything because the brown mafia will do whatever they want with your schedule, even on your 8 days off! This isn't being a whiner..."

FZckntkawrap
9th Feb 2010, 17:36
Race would have to be the issue for that statement to be considered bigoted. The issue is (some) office staff hating pilots because of our compensation, vacation, and what is considered to be an unfair distribution of the work. Guess you haven't worked out in the world too much. Everyone has a mafia: British Mafia, Australian Mafia, Brazilian Mafia, I think even the Russian's have one :rolleyes:...........

S.F.L.Y
9th Feb 2010, 18:39
If you need a 3 bedroom apartment or villa for a family, then you will have to use some salary to cover it depending on where you are willing to live.

Another one who didn't get anything about the reasons behind allowances. Don't you have to use your salary to get a housing in your home country?

Wizofoz
10th Feb 2010, 03:02
SFLY,

Yes, but then we are permanent residents in our home country.

We are in the UAE for as long as we are needed then we are out.

As such, we need to maintain property in our home countries AND have somewhere to live here.

That's why most employers provide housing or at least an allowance that covers decent accomodation.

RandyBMC
10th Feb 2010, 03:22
To address some of the issues posted:

The one thing that impresses me the most about flydubai is that the issues are known, and there are steps being taken to change them.

With regard to rosters, we have been given explanations by both the scheduler and our chief pilot that they are aware of the problems and what they are doing to correct them. We will be getting new scheduling software, new destinations, and new aircraft, all of which will correct many of the issues people on this thread are now complaining about.

Leave is currently done manually, and I received every week but one I asked for in the entire upcoming year, all 6 weeks of it. I have never been able to do that at any of my previous airlines and be awarded it! Once leave is more automated, I think there will be some more flexibility in that as well. This is just speculation on my part.

As far as housing goes, the market in Dubai is still in a downward trend. I have kids, all of which are here with me in school, and we live in a nice area. I receive 144K per year, which may be advanced to me if I choose, and my place is 160K including the appliances. It is a 4 bedroom flat on the beach with a full beach view. The housing allowance was enough to get something here in a nice two bedroom, and the guys that are getting one bedrooms are spending in the 80K range in Old Town and the Marina and banking the rest. None of my buds are sharing, but I am sure it is done to bank even more cash. You can buy in Springs, Mirdiff, JBR, the Marina, Old Town, Dubai Sports City, and Arabian Ranches, to mention a few, and live within the allowance given.

As far as fz Captains being on par with Etihad FOs, it is an apples to oranges comparison. At flydubai, our flight pay is 100 AED per hour, so it is a big chunk of our pay. If you calculate 0 as your flight pay, maybe it is the same, but that would only be accurate on leave. No one here is flying 0 hours. I would say it is between 45-65 hours. The guys in the interview are being told that, and that once we have our schedule ironed out and the aircraft we need to receive, it will be 80 hours. That is the plan.

We are taking delivery of our aircraft, and we have the new destinations on the books, so these are not pipe dreams.

This is a NEW airline, and it is amazing what they have accomplished in the short amount of time they have been around. Everyone we now hire is asked to be flexible while the operation gets on its feet. The block hours will come, the destinations will come, the rosters will come. It is not going to happen overnight, but the folks who are in charge for the most part are aware of the issues and working on them. That is much more than I can say for most of the places I have worked in the past.

This place is not perfect, and there are empires being established, just like at any workplace, not to mention airline. There is no utopian job that I am aware of, especially in this industry, but I am happy here, and I know a lot of other people who are as well. There are things that need to be fixed, things that need to come about, and I have not "drank the Kool-aid" to the point that I do not see those. As I said above though, from what I have seen, the powers that be are working on them.

One more point to make. The other nice thing here is that if you see a way to make something better, the suggestion is usually at a minimum considered. It is not a perfect culture, but that goes a long way with me.

Oh, and I DO work here. Give it 6 months and see what the rosters look like. That will address the pay and the gripes over schedules. I think they will continue to improve.

Hope that helps! I am happy to provide any information on pay, housing, education, etc. to anyone interested.

RandyBMC