PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

flying_hamster
24th Jun 2009, 14:16
Hey there guys!
I am just curious to know if any foreigner has already been through the application and interview stages with Cathay Pacific?

If so, how long does it generally take before they let you know if you've passed the initial screening and been selected for an interview?

Also, on the application form, they has choices for the interview locations. Are all interviews conducted in HK, or your location (mine's within Asia)?

I ask this because I couldn't help but compare the Etihad application. I had received my interview offer within a week of applying, but was one of the unfortunate ones when they cancelled the Singapore Assessment Day.

I can see from other threads that this is a hot topic, especially because HK residents are not very pleased with the idea of the Cadet Programme being open to all nationalitites, but keep replies to this thread clean. It might benefit all the others out there too, HK residents or foreigners, who might have applied for the scheme.

Cheers guys!

jsrman
28th Jun 2009, 03:53
So, the minimum flight time required, which I know is 0. But what is the maximum flight time allowed to enter the cadet program?
And if selected are you allowed to bring your wife to AUST. and she can be in her own place. Shes a lawyer and might be able to get a visa to AUST. via the territory.

Please no funny answers, just straight answers please. Myself and wife are seriously disscussing this issue...Thank god my wife say "wherever we need to go baby, we'll go there":ok:

SAS-A321
28th Jun 2009, 12:39
Where did you guys see that no previous flying experience is required?

The_Pharoah
28th Jun 2009, 13:35
off the actual cathay pacific CPP website:

"Our selection process and training programme are rigorous. You need not have previous flying experience, but you should be ambitious and enthusiastic. This is a career path with a goal to becoming a Captain, and the chance to be a very important member of our team." (italics added).

here's the link -->Cathay Pacific - Careers : Careers Home (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/careers/flying/cadetpilot)

Jumbo744
28th Jun 2009, 13:58
Hello!

I have a little question, if anyone could help find the answer:

I don't know if I should apply as I currently have 135h of flight and I will be doing my Commercial Theory Exam on Tueday, followed by the flight test within 10 days, and I will have my Multi/IFR licence by August.

So If I apply today, by the time CX replies to me, I would already have all my licences. I didn't see a maximum amount of flying experience so I wonder how they woud deal with me if I show up to the Cadet Program with already all my licences?

Thanks!

Jumbo744
28th Jun 2009, 17:10
thanks a lot OGI.
Good Luck with your assessment!

wskwong
28th Jun 2009, 19:23
wow I think I know why they stop hiring SO's......

looking at their updated online application form, they are looking for SO's to fill their cadet positions.......they even ask if you have miltary jet experience

so much so for us low-hours wannabe.....wuhahaha~!!

flying_hamster
30th Jun 2009, 09:19
Anyone out there know how long before they respond to applicants?
From the other threads, I read that there is an assessment on the 6th of July. Anybody know of another assessment after that date?

ausexmil
30th Jun 2009, 12:55
Do you think they look at military experience as a negative? Does any one have any good recommendations for research websites with regards to the actual program, salary and testing requirements that aren't already listed on the careers website? Thanks

nicky_tin
7th Jul 2009, 10:30
Hello guys,

I got a phone call from one of the HR personnels today saying I passed the initial test and I can attend the Stage 1 interview. Can anyone tell me what can I expect from this interview? I'm having this interview tomorrow morning, so a quick reply is appreciated!!

Nick

snow dragon
8th Jul 2009, 05:46
Hi all,
I was wondering if those of you who may know about having to much flight time.I hold an australian cpl with 335hrstt and about 50hrs multi, also having all my subjects except atpl.Finally im 38yrs of age is this seen as over the hill for this type of course?Looking forward to hear from anyone who knows more about this.:rolleyes:

FL170
9th Jul 2009, 10:13
Can anyone shed some light on bond arrangements?

All this free training and employment would have to come with chains and a big spikey ball for at least, say 7 years I would imagine :ouch:..?

flying_hamster
9th Jul 2009, 13:05
yes, i do believe the bond is around that time. 8 years, if im not mistaken. And, apparently, there are no expat benefits for foreign applicants either. its long haul flights, mostly.
progression is something like: S.O., Jr. F.O., F.O., Snr F.O.,Captain..

follow this link, it might be of use:
Cathay Pacific - Careers : Careers Home (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/careers/student/cadetpilot_programme)

thats a long progression path too :)

not sure about any other bond criteria, such as property back up or a guarantor..all the best to those waiting for responses!im one of them too :)

GTC58
9th Jul 2009, 15:30
No Training Bonds in Hong Kong.

NickFry
10th Jul 2009, 10:13
I've also received an invitation to attend an Interview on the 24th, apparently the number of cadets taken on last year (worldwide) was ~50?

~ Nick

Zoom6
12th Jul 2009, 16:03
For the Secondary Education results, am I expected to put in all of the classes I took in High School?

NickFry
12th Jul 2009, 22:37
I'd presume your senior years (Year 11 & 12 for me).

Emjai
16th Jul 2009, 07:04
I live in Brisbane and have been asked to attend initial interviews in Sydney. I feel sorry for those of you asked to attend initial interviews in Hong Kong; so expensive!!
cheers

tze shan
17th Jul 2009, 01:10
is there any Malaysia applicant here? I sent my resume 2 weeks ago and yet no positive reply from cx :hmm:

flying_hamster
17th Jul 2009, 05:39
@tze_shan:

I applied from Malaysia too. Exactly one month ago. I am still waiting for a response too. From the threads, I'm assuming that they're having interview sessions from the larger application locations, and will possibly have the rest in HK. I could be totally wrong though..

rahul.majithia
17th Jul 2009, 10:22
hi
i have completed faa cpl n have 235 hrs of flyin with multi rating
cleared dgca papers n ready for my conversion
going to fly my recency in sept

m i eligible for cathay pacific cadet pilot programme??

waiting for reply asap......

thnx

flying_hamster
6th Aug 2009, 09:43
hey guys..i applied, and my 8 weeks response time will be coming soon, on the 9th, which falls on a sunday, so am hoping to hear from cathay by monday the 10th.

Just to ask, any other malaysian applicants out there who have either received a response, or are waiting?

Darian
10th Aug 2009, 10:19
flyinghamster, did u get a reply from CX?

ceoicao
10th Aug 2009, 14:21
I live in Korea Republic.(In other words, I'm not a HK citizen.)

I'm a junior in university.

I'm majoring flight operations but my flight time is '0'.

This is because of my school's curriculum;;;;;

I don't know the details of CPP cadet pilot programme.

I just know my national airline cadet programme.

I think it's quite different to that.

So, I don't know exactly how CPP cadet pilot programme is processing.

I have some questions~

1. Do I meet the requirements? (junior in university, no degree)

2. How does the cadet programme proceed?
ex) 60 weeks in Adelaide, Australia <- does this mean PPL,IR,CPL,MEL training in Australia?
Then, back to HK and have SO education shown in the website?

3. How much money do I need(bond)? Does CX pays my training expense? Then I should work for CX for 8 years?

4. Is the cadet programme still currently opened?

Waiting for your kind answers. Thank you:O

flapsupdown
10th Aug 2009, 18:29
Hey CEOICAO,

Just thought I'd share my opinion with you...

1. I believe you meet the basic requirement. Flight experience is NOT a requirement (although it does help), and I know students who get in right after high school.

2. Yes, it is 60 weeks in Australia....but the cadets don't get a PPL at all....they continue training directly for the CPL

3. Financial support will help, but CX covers the main expenses of accommodation, food, training, books...etc etc. There is no "bond" or training cost to you, but the contract states 6 years of service with Cathay Pacific after the Cadet Program.

4. Program is open year round. They send multiple groups down throughout the year.

Hope this helps!

Customx
11th Aug 2009, 05:34
I applied for the program on July 16th and am still waiting to hear back.

I plan to move back to America this winter and start my training, from ppl-mei, but if by some miracle I am admitted into this program, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Customx
11th Aug 2009, 12:24
Does anyone know how they contact you after you've submitted your application? I was in the Philippines for 10 days and hope they didn't call me. Does CP send you an email to set up a phone interview?

flapsupdown
11th Aug 2009, 19:12
Candidates are initially contacted by phone or email - I've heard of both situations. If a candidate is rejected, they will DEFINITELY make sure the candidate knows - so you will for sure receive an email/letter.

They don't conduct phone interviews - they make calls to schedule interviews but all tests and interviews are conducted in person.

CaptainGondwe
11th Aug 2009, 19:18
Hello

I am leaving home in Malawi to go begin university in Miami. I applied on the 18th of July and have yet to receive a reply. Once I leave should I inform Cathay of my changing telephone numbers and address or should I just count on being informed via email. Thank you very much.

flapsupdown
11th Aug 2009, 19:35
probably best to shoot them a quick email....

use some common sense

ceoicao
11th Aug 2009, 22:31
Thank you very much^^:)

If I have more questions, I'll ask you for more~

Hope to meet to in CX~some day:ok:

flying_hamster
13th Aug 2009, 12:13
@ Darian:

Nope. No response as yet. Do they actually confirm for a rejection as well? or do they just not reply? anybody has any idea?
I ask this because i tried putting in a new application, and it says my previous application is still being processed.

Anybody else from Malaysia who applied? any responses?

I am quite sure I meet the requirements: Have a bachelors, and a masters degree, have pretty much everything else they asked for too.
*ponders*

Darian
13th Aug 2009, 12:43
to flyinghamster
Im not sure either but i would believe CX will inform u should ur application unsuccessful...... from other posts, i think CX will mail letter out for fail applicant...... i think u should email them before u fill out another application and i believe there is a cooling off period before u can apply

But I believe my application is unsuccessful b/c i know people get interviewed who applied after me.

flapsupdown
13th Aug 2009, 14:37
I don't have an insider's scoop on the policies at CX Recruitment...however, I am almost positive that they will, at the very least, send a notifiation (email or letter) to rejected candidates.

Also, lets remember that they went from recruiting locally to the whole world - and from this forum it looks like they are doing a bunch of people from one destination before moving on to the next....so its very possible that they just haven't gotten to your apps yet!

HLloyd26
13th Aug 2009, 22:22
Hi,

I was wondering does anyone know when they'll next be doing an assesment in London, or roughly how often they do them in any one country?

Cheers

dabz
13th Aug 2009, 23:15
Correct me if I'm mistaken but I thought you had to be an HK resident to apply for the CX Cadet programme?

It says on their website: You must be a permanent Hong Kong resident

holdmetight
14th Aug 2009, 01:36
from the CX Cadet recruitment official website:

To qualify for our Cadet Pilot Programme, you must be at least 18 years old and wish to pursue a career with us in Hong Kong. You must be at least 1.6m tall, be physically fit, and possess an excellent command of English.

the HKG residency requirement was lifted about a month ago.

laoyeong
14th Aug 2009, 01:37
nope you don't need to be. I'm not and i have a interview lined up. i think you just need to be willing to relocate to HK after the program.

flying_hamster
14th Aug 2009, 16:27
@Darian: Did you apply for your first choice interview to be Malaysia? Did the people who got interviewed get theirs done in Malaysia? any Clue?

I am not sure what email address to use to get in touch with CX. Anybody have a contact I could use? I too applied on the 16th of July, with no response yet.

Customx
14th Aug 2009, 21:30
Hamster- just be patient. I applied on July 17th and haven't heard anything yet either.

Darian
15th Aug 2009, 01:17
I applied back in june 14.... im US applicant.... filled with 1st choice in USA and 2nd in HK....... However, today is the day suppose to hear anything, but negative

anyone who is US applicant hear anything yet?

ceoicao
15th Aug 2009, 15:19
1. I visited FTA website in Adelaide and I was surprised that CX cadets go through 3 1/2 years of Flight Instructor..what is that??
and I want to know more about Cadet programme training process..

2. How many CX cadet pilot graduates are there among CPP? and usually, how many people are there in each CX cadet pilot class?

3. How does captains or FOs think of second officers?

4. How long does it take to become a captain after being cleared as a SO?

Thank you :) :ok:

makelove
15th Aug 2009, 16:07
ineed, what is all this about being an instructor for three years? first i've heard of this??

"the cadets complete an instructor’s course with FTA and stay at FTA for 3 and half years as instructors before joining the Airline"

Company News – CXL1 Graduation | Flight Training Adelaide (http://www.flighttrainingadelaide.com/company-news/company-news-cxl1-graduation)

makelove
15th Aug 2009, 16:18
indeed, what is all this about spending 3 years as a flight instructor first? first i've heard of it?

"Under this scheme, upon completion the training course, the cadets complete an instructor’s course with FTA and stay at FTA for 3 and half years as instructors before joining the Airline."

Company News – CXL1 Graduation | Flight Training Adelaide (http://www.flighttrainingadelaide.com/company-news/company-news-cxl1-graduation)

cheers

BRS_flyer
15th Aug 2009, 19:12
The course mentioned on the FTA website is a different program to the CPP. Those of us applying directly for the CPP through Cathay will not be spending time as an instructor if successful.

It is run through FTA and I believe is only open to those with the right to work in Oz.

FL999
19th Aug 2009, 18:24
Its been 10 weeks for me. Ive nearly lost all hope. IM pretty sure I would have got a response by now and I cant reapply cause my 'appplication is still being processed' Lets hope that No news=good news..?! :confused:

flying_hamster
27th Aug 2009, 02:55
Does anybody have an email address on which to contact the HR/Recruitment team at Cathay?

satwikroy
28th Aug 2009, 04:42
tha cx cadet pilot program mentions its requirements that either the cadet should have done schooling in HK or should hold a diploma or degree(nationality no bar) .
But I have a little question.
since i am doing a four year degree course can I apply for the cadetship with my result marksheets of 7 semesters while I wait for my 8th semester result & its marksheet???
pls reply as soon as possible!!!!

konghei0607
5th Sep 2009, 21:19
HI,

I am currently a Canadian Citizen and only legally allowed to work in Canada. Am I eligible for the cadet program?

ademaro
5th Sep 2009, 22:18
yes its open to all nationalities

ricster
9th Sep 2009, 13:27
When is the closing date for applicants?

ltyedward
13th Sep 2009, 12:46
I just graduated with a flying degree, planning to apply for CPP in CX, but I still have my graduation certificates and license (currently with CPL only, no multi/IR and will completed in a few months) to fix and probably will get done before the end of this year. Shall I file my application now or I have to do it after all things get done? I wonder if I would missed the opening this year. Hope to read some advise from any of you. Thank you.

BubbaMc
13th Sep 2009, 13:21
Do not apply until you have your degree and final academic record in your hands. It's not worth the risk mate.

clinty83
12th Oct 2009, 21:53
Morning Folks

Anyone done the initial interview with cathay cadet programe?? If so what does it entail??

Thanks

Speedbird2263
15th Nov 2009, 19:01
Good day kind folks,

I'd like to know what anyone here thinks the chances are, of someone like myself from a 'remote' corner of the world being selected for the CX CPP. I hail from the 3rd largest rock in the caribbean, aka Jamaica and much like everyone else here, has a deep passion for aviation. I did my PPL in Jamaica and then CPL/IR(single) and CFI in miami. I have both FAA and JCAA licenses and about 330TT. No Multi/IR yet. I only applied Nov 14 so I suppose I'm in for a bit of a wait. I am curious to find out my chances as I also applied to EY last year and didn't get so much as a whisper of succesful/unsuccesful. I am willing to go globetrotting anywhere on the planet so long as I get the chance!

Really appreciate any/all responses mates.:ok:

blue_side_up
16th Nov 2009, 01:29
Will try to shed light on a few questions, but firstly, anyone actually interested in the program should have a thorough read of the company's website before posting the most basic questions. Much can be answered there!

Cathay Pacific - Careers : Careers Home (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/careers/flying/cadetpilot)

Applicants are welcome from all parts of the world, Jamaicans included :)

Hong Kong ID is no longer a requirement. So, by extension, the company is willing to sponsor you for HK employment, should you be successful in the course.

There is no deadline for the program, intake is continuous (as far as I'm aware).

You will receive a reply to your application, either way. However, due to the lifting of HKID restrictions, the ladies/gents in the office are most likely swamped with new applications. Be patient, although I know it's difficult to wait. If you haven't received a reply within a reasonable time (ie: the 8weeks mentioned on the website), do the sensible thing and send a polite email as a follow-up.

Flight experience is not required (see website!). However, those with a full set of licences already (ie: cpl/multi/ir), might be considered too experienced for the program (not sure about this though, sorry).

As for academic credentials, they are listed as requirements. I suspect you must have them prior to application. Again, please see the website for details.

Most of all, to those of you interested, good luck! If aviation really is a passion of yours, you'll find a way to end up in a cockpit if you're determined enough, CX or not!

Speedbird2263
16th Nov 2009, 04:13
Hey blue_side_up, thanks for the reply brother and "Jamaicans included" is a bit re-assuring :)

I hope Im not 'overqualified' as that's what probably ruled me out of the EY CPP.I have all the educational reqs too. I have searched the threads and read of similarly/more so qualified applicants being given interviews so Im hopeful yet. My only real concern I guess you could say is that bit about 'Geographic area'. I have Hong Kong as first pref. and the US as second.

I know of quite a bit of Jamaicans that are with the likes of EK, EY and QR to name a few, however they got there via valuable experience gained from the national carrier JM which unfortunately for me is going out of biz it seems.

I'm hopeful though and very positive and like you said, I'm aiming to get to the flight deck one way or another. :ok:

flapsupdown
16th Nov 2009, 09:25
hey - some good comments and info from blue_side_up!

I especially agree with the point about being patient before sending in a follow-up email.....remember to look at the bigger picture and realize that the applicant pool went from just HKID card holders to the WHOLE world so don't worry too much if you don't get a response right away....

with the point about being "over qualified" - I just wanted to share my perspective on that. I don't think they will deny entry to the program to anyone purely because you are "overqualified" - as a matter of fact, I think flight experience is valuable as it shows you have strong enough of an interest to dedicate your resources to flying...I think the more important thing here is your attitude towards your own experiences....

remember, CX sends their cadets to learn from the basics...and each flight school may teach different things...so I think its important to show that you are open and willing to learn alongside your peers and be willing to re-learn what you may already know and to learn and accept technique/SOP/theory which may contradict what you already know.....

just wanted to share my thoughts on that...all the best!

Speedbird2263
20th Nov 2009, 04:00
"remember, CX sends their cadets to learn from the basics...and each flight school may teach different things...so I think its important to show that you are open and willing to learn alongside your peers and be willing to re-learn what you may already know and to learn and accept technique/SOP/theory which may contradict what you already know....."

I believe you're right that showing the willingness to re-learn and perhaps even more important 're-inforce' what has already been learned, is a valuable asset.

blue_side_up
25th Nov 2009, 08:43
You're both correct about re-learning. For any airline, two of the main goals of a cadet program are a guaranteed supply and a guaranteed quality. An airline invests in you with the absolute expectation that you will exit the other end of the course, having met or exceeded the requirements, and in be their image of an aviator.

Regarding overqualified, perhaps I should have been more specific. Should your experience nearly, or positively, qualify you for a position as a Second Officer, then I highly doubt whether one would be accepted as a Cadet.

Good luck all!

nt.pilot
2nd Dec 2009, 23:18
Hi all,

I know this has already been posted somewhere but i cant seem to find out if during the cadet program you are paid? i know they pay for the training but are you given a weekly/monthly wage or are we self sufficient during training and whilst waiting to be checked to line?

holdmetight
3rd Dec 2009, 03:14
I believe cadets are each given an allowance of AUD$100 per week during their time in ADL, with FTA providing both accomodation and food.

I'm not sure what they are paid after finishing cadet training but before being checked-to-line in CX. Perhaps someone else could fill you in.

flapsupdown
4th Dec 2009, 01:10
currently as it stands, cadets get paid an "allowance" in addition to all the costs involved with your training, food and accommodation.

Further, graduated cadets begin earning a SALARY as soon as they start with CX (i.e. before being checked to the line).

Hope this helps.

404 Titan
4th Dec 2009, 06:42
flapsupdown

That is usually the case except all current cadets who graduate from Adelaide are going into the hold file. While there they receive nothing but must be immediately available once called up. Currently there is no recruitment and none is scheduled for 2010 either.

etlien
4th Dec 2009, 13:14
Ouch, just when I was about to submit an application. So is there no point in applying now?

betpump5
4th Dec 2009, 19:22
Etlien

The CP group who are about to graduate have been told (6 months ago) to expect a 12 month wait and this hasn't changed therefore no recruiting for 2010 is pretty certain. CP 31/32 know this and are prepared.

When CP36 starts in Dec 14 (who were told at interviews in September/October to expect a 3-6 month wait), there will be 6 CP groups at FTA with just over 50 cadets. CP 36 will graduate in Jan of 2011 with an expected start date in late summer, early autumn with start dates for the other CP31-35 taking place earlier that year.

CPP interviews are still ongoing around the world and CX is now back in Australia for a third time in 6 months.

So you do the maths. The 6th Floor Girls aren't travelling the world just to go shopping whilst putting Cadet Pilots on the shelves for an indefinite period of time!

etlien
4th Dec 2009, 19:40
See, this is what confuses me. I have been reading on here about how interviews are still going on, yet recruiting for 2010 is not happening. What dos recruiting not happening mean? Are they not sending anyone down to FTA? Are they not putting CP classes together? Are they not taking anymore online applications? This is why I wonder if I should send an application in.

From the gist of your reply, I assume they are at least still taking applications. Am I right?

Wings1123
4th Dec 2009, 22:44
Your last response here is a bit of concern...since I was interviewed in october and was not advised there would be a 3 to 5 months delay. I understand this is a rumours forum but if what you're saying is true then what happens to the backlog of pilots that will start CP36 onwards during that time? Do they get to sign a contract with assurance of position after the 60 week training or do they go back home (whichever country that may be) and wait for the phone call?

Thanks for your input.
W

holdmetight
5th Dec 2009, 03:57
As far as I know, applications and interviews for cadets are still ongoing, with classes being put together and shipped off to Adelaide. However as betpump5 has mentioned, cadets currently training in Adelaide must expect to wait 6-12 months after graduation before officially joining the company and starting ground school.

I don't think Cathay will guarantee that you will eventually join the company, just like the other Direct Entry hopefuls you will end up in the holding file. But personally I also tend to believe that, provided you are willing to wait, CX won't give up on you either - especially after spending so much money on your training.

I'm still going to apply, even if it means waiting for a job 6-12 months after leaving Adelaide. It is a small price to pay.

flapsupdown
5th Dec 2009, 06:34
Just want to clarify a few things...

Interviews are still ongoing for the CPP. Also, classes are continually formed and shipped to Adelaide.

The "wait" period that people refer to is the time between graduating from FTA and starting at Cathay Pacific. There may be a wait after you graduate from the CPP but there is no reason why you won't eventually get hired (as long as you performed up to standard throughout your time at FTA).

When CX needs more SOs, the graduated cadets will be the first in line.

holdmetight
5th Dec 2009, 06:53
When CX needs more SOs, the graduated cadets will be the first in line.

flapsupdown,

Is that a fact? Where did you hear that from?

etlien
5th Dec 2009, 10:07
So the no recruitment in 2010 just refers to no hiring of people graduating from FTA?

betpump5
5th Dec 2009, 11:04
I thought my message was crystal clear and I didn't expect to get that many queries afterwards but let me try and answer some of the concerns.

Firstly "no recruiting" in 2010 means the graduated CP 31/32 cadets who are close to graduating will not be given their strart date at CX in 2010. This is obvisouly also true for CP 33-35 who are expected to graduate that year - CP36 should graduate end of January 2011.

The good news is that due to the predicted demand of cadet pilots, the CP batches have been given differing wait times. CP31=12 months and CP36=3-6 months. This is obvioulsy good news.

Holdmetight,

Flapsupdown is obvioulsy correct. When the demand for SOs increase, the grduated cadets will be first in line. Where else will we get them from? And there will be an abundance of them but if by some mircale we don't have enough, then there will still be a few poor sods swimming in the DESO pool to be plucked when needed.

Wings1123

The only contract you sign is the one saying you will be given 60 weeks traning. The contract does not say you will be given a position at CX. You do the 60 weeks, graduate, have your photo taken then you go back to wherever you came from or wherever you want to go and wait for the phonecall.

I hope this answers any concerns. FYI I heard that there was a little bit of a rush last week with the 6th floor trying to get people on the CP36 course. In the end, only 11 cadets made it rather than the hoped for 16. There was a worrying period when only 6 or so cadets had made it through.

Like I said, the girls aren't travelling the world just to go shopping whilst puting cadets on the shelf. Likewise CX wont be too keen on spending all this money on cadets only for them to be out of action for 2 years while they wait for a start date.

etlien
5th Dec 2009, 11:53
Thanks for the insight.

flapsupdown
15th Dec 2009, 10:46
Yes, as a Cathay Cadet you will undergo the same training as all other cadets. However, once in a while they offer the Short Course in which case you wouldn't be doing the whole 14 months. Nonetheless, the "normal" cadet program requires all cadets to undergo the same training regardless of experience...which makes sense since most the exams you will be sitting are issued by the HKCAD.

If no jobs are available upon graduation, you just wait. Yes, you are entitled to gin employment elsewhere but must be ready to start immediately.

etlien
17th Dec 2009, 05:05
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe other poster(s) have mentioned that the 6 year employment 'bond' is not actually binding since it is illegal in Hong Kong, meaning you don't have to go back to CX when they call you if you're at another airline/job.

flying_hamster
17th Dec 2009, 13:02
Just out of curiosity, have any cadets who passed the interviews actually started flight school in Adelaide?

My main reason for asking is that I am still waiting for an invite to the first interview, and have another job offer which I'm planning to take up in the mean while. Any clue how long the actual interview process takes?

Speedbird2263
18th Dec 2009, 02:28
I would advise that if you can snag another Job for now then go with it for sure. You have nothing to lose by accepting the job whereas you might "lose out" on that job in the event that you don't make it through the interview selection to cadet training. As always in aviation have a plan B :ok:

I'm currently 4weeks down, 4 to go to the 8week threshold since application. :D

kiwiflyernz
22nd Dec 2009, 07:53
Mine took 10 weeks to come back.

How long after your initial interview do you get a reply advising you of the outcome. I was told a week, but that has now passed.

NewZealand787
22nd Dec 2009, 23:38
Im in the same boat as you Kiwiflyer, had my interview in Auckland last week. Im guessing theyll call or email tomorrow mate. Good luck dude

kiwiflyernz
23rd Dec 2009, 06:14
Haha, the wait is killing me lol.

Good luck to you as well.

NewZealand787
26th Dec 2009, 19:26
Any word yet Kiwiflyer? Im still waiting... Wonder if itll be a call or email? Anyone know?

kiwiflyernz
27th Dec 2009, 04:54
No, still no news yet. I got a phone call for the first interview but was told it would be by phone or email for this one. So who knows. It is the Christmas and New Year period and therefore decisions will take longer than usual. Maybe no news is good news at the moment?

FinalApp
27th Dec 2009, 09:59
I hope you're right kiwiflyer ... The wait's killing me as well. Hoping tomorrow brings at least SOME news (good, bad or otherwise).

kiwiflyernz
28th Dec 2009, 06:26
I am guessing that they have less staff on, due Xmas, and we may not hear from them till the new year. We will have to wait and see.

JerryMaguire
28th Dec 2009, 08:21
Good day to all,

Does anyone know if the HKCAD/CX Company Medical guidelines accept applicants of the Cadet Pilot Programme who have undergone LASIK/PRK surgery? I know that some countries' civil aviation department allows for and some airlines also accept pilot cadets who have undergone LASIK/PRK but am not sure what is Cathay Pacific's policy.

Will appreciate any advise on this please.

betpump5
29th Dec 2009, 05:16
LASIK is fine. Providing the correction needed was within the +5 -6 limits intially. Just like for normal glasses/contacts. The documents naturally will have to be provided and verified.

rahulpereira
29th Dec 2009, 07:01
Hey guys, Im new here....Please help me out. I have an FAA ppl with 200 hrs of flying, I have applied just yesterday on the CX website. do you know when the nxt batch is starting or if they wil send me an email. How does the system work to apply for CX cadet program, also I am Indian , just want to make sure thru you guys if I am eligible for the program. thanks

flyhiigh
29th Dec 2009, 18:50
I applied one month ago and have not heard anything yet. I can´t wait hehe!
I think India i good! Im from Scandinavia and I guess not to many from my area have applied. Anyone from Scandinavia on the thread?

Good luck everyone! :ok::ok:

rahulpereira
30th Dec 2009, 06:08
Hey flyhigh,
well good to knw ur scandinavian , so i guess u'll be hearing from them first , so its no use me waiting just yet, coz its been just a couple of days since i applied, waiting eagerly though.

flapsupdown
31st Dec 2009, 12:31
Hey rahulpereira,

Doesn't matter what nationality you are or where you're from....the program has been opened internationally so yes you are eligible.

The next CX course will begin in Feb/March of 2010....but seeing that you only applied recently it might be too optimistic to think you will make this course. Perhaps, if you are successful through all the testing and interview and flight grading, you could possibly start in the course after.

Hope this helps.

Speedbird2263
31st Dec 2009, 16:23
I would hope then seeing as I applied in the second week of November that I'd at least have a shot of that Feb/March timeline. i.e. Should I be succesful at being granted an interview.

rahulpereira
1st Jan 2010, 07:10
Hey flapsupdown,
Thanks for your reply, but I;ve also heard that CX also checks all the applications based on geographical area, so by chance if there some applications from this part of the world do you think they could give me a chance for the Feb 2010 interviews,
definitely the guys that applied first should get a chance but I was just wondering whether they go thru applications based on the area.

holdmetight
1st Jan 2010, 08:35
What did you guys select for your preferred interview locations?

Don't quote me on this, but I think if you picked a location outside the list of cities they visit on their recruitment quest, you might be asked to attend their tests and interviews at a venue of their choice. The ladies in HR might then take a longer time to process your application, as it must be a logistical nightmare trying to arrange for a handful of candidates from different regions and backgrounds to come together at a select time for interviews. It is only logical, given they cannot possibly hold selections in all the cities that people have picked...

So while we all play the waiting game, why not spend some of that time to prepare for what lies ahead? To me, it is a blessing in disguise.

Happy New Year, and Good luck to all! :ok:

flapsupdown
1st Jan 2010, 10:20
Hey there,

I agree. I think applications that were submitted first should be reviewed first.

However, I think, due to reasons of practicality, they will review applications in groups depending on geographic location. Unfortunately, I have no idea which geographic region they are interviewing next. Sorry!

rahulpereira
1st Jan 2010, 10:31
Well I definitely chose the preferred choice from the list, and offcourse I chose India as my 1st choice but I chose HK as my 2nd coz its not that far away. Don't know if that will help ,
but thanks all the same to both of you for your insights.
Happy New Year and all the best to you too....

flapsupdown
2nd Jan 2010, 13:57
Rahulpereira,

Happy New Year to you as well.

Just wanted to say, don't get discouraged if your wait is beyond 8 weeks. This "8 week wait period" was in effect when the CX Cadet Program was opened only to HK citizens. Now with the huge intake of applications, it is probable that it will take longer, and they just haven't changed the "8 week" message on the website/application.

Keen84
3rd Jan 2010, 06:41
Hey guys,
I ve been going thro the thread, u guys r doin a gr8 job here!
I m one amongst u guys who applied recently! My ques is whts wit the website??? Has thr been any movement out thr? Coz as u all knw the website says "To be advised around Sep 2009"
Plz advise!
Cheers!!

holdmetight
3rd Jan 2010, 09:40
Hey there,

Don't worry about that message. That particular section in the website normally lists the venues and times of cadet recruitment seminars that CX organize every year. These seminars are aimed at local university graduates, however it seems with the advent of the international cadetship, these talks weren't even held.

Rest assured that cadet recruitment is very much alive; I know of people who are undergoing the process as we speak.

ademaro
3rd Jan 2010, 18:24
How many people have actually gone for training?International cadet wise i mean.Any of you lucky lads here?

6 months and waiting.no i didnt mean weeks.:ugh:

rahulpereira
4th Jan 2010, 05:21
hey Ademaro, so does that mean you've been waiting for 6 months after being selected or has it been 6 months since you've applied for the program?
Regards,
Rahul Pereira

flying_hamster
4th Jan 2010, 08:05
Hey guys, been following this thread of late, and thought i'd drop a note too..

@RahulPereira: its good to see your enthusiasm for the job, somewhat reminds me of me! however, i suppose patience it the key here, because as Ademaro mentioned, i too have been waiting for just about 6 months, i applied in June of 2009, to be assessed in Malaysia as my first choice, and Hong Kong as Second choice..im still hanging on to the hope of a call, as my last email correspondece with the cadet pilot team was in September of 2009, where they mentioned that they have received and screened my application, and are waiting to place it by geographic region, it at all i've made the cut for the initial interview, that it :)

So, i suppose as many have said in previous posts, it must be a lot of work sifting through the number of applications..i have a friend who applied to be assessed in India as his first choice, and he hasnt received a call yet either..he applied roughly the same time as i did, if not earlier..

hope thats insight enough? i too am waiting..i'd be lying if i said its patiently :}

Swine Facipic
4th Jan 2010, 10:13
The Wonderful Cadet Pilot Programme,

The HR Department have taken a long holiday and are generally very very busy. What I don't understand is that why so much time to send a reply. I agree there are many applications in the waiting game, why not cut to the chase and tell us if we are up for Stage 1 or not, and then we can think about something else or concentrate on other things. I know of some folk's who want this so bad (including myself) who are banking on this too much. And a desperately waiting a reply,till I get a No from them I wont stop preparing.

It wont be too much of trouble for the HR , to speed things up a little bit.

IN MY CASE - "Initial Application done in April 2009" That is 9 Months , PHUKIN HELL:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: , Still no answer ... I don't know what the hell is going on there at Cathay City (Flight Recruitment). At this rate Stage 1 will be sometime next year I Guess. It is just ridiculous. Waste of time is a waste of money . I am not happy at all with the way my application has been handled, every 8 weeks I send them an e-mail all I get is a standard reply.

"Your application will be considered along with all other eligible applicants in your geographic area when we next select for interviews.

Thank you for your interest in the Cadet Pilot Programme." :mad:

It is just frustrating about how long it takes to get a reply " human reply" from flight crew recruitment, there should be some amount of decency shown by them to at least respect other peoples time.

well I just don't know what more to say :}

waiting any longer is not a blessing anymore. :ok:

Swine Facipic
4th Jan 2010, 15:43
Is there any way to get a message through to the HR

" that there are many people who are Frustrated with their slow , sloppy approach to the whole Cadet Pilot Programme Selection System"

If any one agrees with me please raise your concern with the Flight Crew Recruitment Team if anyone knows someone personally or just get the message to the concerned people.

Me personally waiting for 9 months for an Initial Interview, and I know a few who are waiting for 4 months Plus.

I am absolutely disgusted by the way it is being handled.

With all due respect , I am fine by all means if they don't want to interview from my geographical region because of logistical, economical , professional or personal reasons.

I will happily accept a rejection if I don't meet the standards , only thing I am asking is have the courtesy to INFORM the Applicant in a reasonable time frame.

BUT HAVE THE BLOODY DECENCY TO INFORM, WITHIN A RESPECTABLE TIME FRAME

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If the Flight Crew Recruitment Department (Cathay City) is listening , please clear the backlog and respect other people's time and have the professional courtesy to inform the applicant about the status of their application.

With all due respect , after all you are the

"World's Best Airline -2009" - Skytrax
"5-Star Airline - 2009" -Skytrax

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

holdmetight
4th Jan 2010, 17:10
No offence, and I do feel for you, but...

Unfortunately the ball isn't in your park, so you play by their rules. They don't owe you any sort of explanation, and if you get tired of waiting you can always :mad: off and there will be hundreds more to take your place in the queue. Even cadet pilots who have graduated/are graduating soon need to wait for a start date in the mainline - what does that say about people who have just applied and have not yet been given an interview date?

Though having said that, you can always choose to e-mail them and inform them of your views:
[email protected]

Otherwise, keep your fingers crossed!

rahulpereira
4th Jan 2010, 17:19
Hey thanks for replying, really appreciate you giving me an insight, also to Swine Facipic and Holdmetight, reading your threads I feel I don't even have the right to ask when they're gonna inform me because you guys are way way ahead in the list and its really bad to hear about you guys, I sincerely hope this New Year gives us an interview date at least........
Thanks once again, will still keep an eye on this thread to see if you guys hear anything.
Regards,
Rahul Pereira

flyhiigh
4th Jan 2010, 19:14
Swine Facipic, my tip would be while waiting to save the amount of money needed to fulfill your dream and consider it a bonus if you get through the application process.

Sure CX cadet programme may be slow getting back to you and many others...but we really cant claim them! What they do more airlines should be doing! So a :ok: for Cathay, who says: We look for the best staff in the world :)

Wish everyone good luck! And I hope they get back to you all (Im also waiting)

Hope to cya all in Adelaide!

boquera
4th Jan 2010, 21:15
has CX Number One akavaibhav once again reinvented himself again ths time as keen84? :)

anyway, I emailed them today after waiting since July 21st 09 for a reply. I have emailed them before and had a 'human reply' off them once and one or two general replies. My choice London for mine and there has been 2 after I applied and apparantly one now in Feb.

It should be done better, maybe a couple of extra staff on the cadet area to help speed it up. I dont know the ins and outs of what they get up to admittedly but updates wpuld be welcomed.

Swine Facipic
5th Jan 2010, 01:24
I think you have a deeper problem in life ... who cares about

CX no 1 aka vaibhav aka keen84 , you keep your tail between your legs and mind your own business !!! :=

kiwiflyernz
5th Jan 2010, 04:39
I don't want to sound bitchy about this but Swine Facipic, you have got to calm yourself down. This Cadetship is a privilege, not a right. Cathay don't owe you anything, nor do you owe them. I would suggest if you are set on an aviation career, get some savings together, and get the licenses you require. By doing so, you also show Cathay a keenness to be in the industry, and a better chance of making this Cadetship.

You may think that paying for this training yourself, and then re-learning everything again in Adelaide is pointless, but the biger picture is that you will have more flying hours, more experiences, and a greater chance of success. You will also be a safer pilot for it. Remember in the aviation industry, flying hours are like gold.

I would suggest you start on your backup option now, and think of getting into Cathay the same as you would buying a Lotto ticket.

flapsupdown
5th Jan 2010, 04:48
welcome to the wait. this has been ongoing for a long long time for direct entry candidates....just be thankful that at least they are still hiring cadets whereas they may possibly end the DE program for good!

betpump5
5th Jan 2010, 08:57
Swine Facipic,

How did you write your posts? Isn't it difficult to see the keyboard when your head is so far up your own arse?

Swine Facipic
5th Jan 2010, 09:01
betpump5 - admire your courage to think like a pussy !!!!

don't find pleasure in expressing ridicule towards others opinion , be a part of the solution or become a problem !!!

thanks.

Swine Facipic
5th Jan 2010, 09:39
All spoken, heard and thought , but the reality is that there are currently, 5 Batches - of Cathay CPP currently training at FTA , Latest being the
CX CPP CP36 (11 cadets) ,CX CPP CP35 (16 cadets) ,CX CPP CP34 , CP33 AND CP32. Around 80 Plus Cathay Cadets already training there. CP37 due to start in March / April 2010 they are aiming for around 16 cadets for that one.

Latest interviews took place in Australia and New Zealand. Thats all I am aware of, and they do interview applicants in Hong Kong on a regular basis.

The only way I see it is that they are very active in the Cadet Pilot Programme (CPP) Recruitment - hence they are very busy, a few hundred applications waiting to be screened and replied to.

The only question I have is that why do they not reply to applicants like me for 9 months at a stretch, and a few others are also waiting for a "HUMAN" reply for a few months.

I personally don't find this particular approach to the Recruitment Programme Healthy in the long run.

Yes, the ball is not in my court. I have done my part by applying and now I have to play by the rules, zip up, keep shut and wait, but don't you fellow applicants think that a wait for 3 months + is a bit too long just to get a Initial Interview Scheduled

Requesting Views From Fellow Authentic Applicants.
Pushing Tailwinds, :ok:

boquera
5th Jan 2010, 11:34
Swine I don't understand your aggresive message, you seem to have quite a bad attitude-it was actually just an observation based on some previous posts in this and other threads from a few weeks and more back-nothing sinister or aggressive (or even insulting/ridiculing in what I typed!!!) and was meant as a little humerous hence the smiley atthe end. plus if you didnt care, why comment?

anyway that said and done, I recieved a reply which was

"Your application is still under pending for initial screening.
If any further information we'll let you know.
At the moment, we are unable to speculate when the next schedule will take place in near future."

good luck everyone

holdmetight
5th Jan 2010, 12:00
Guys, I know how it feels to be waiting and not have a clue as to whether they are interested in you or not. I am also waiting for an interview date myself. But why not look at this from another perspective? They might be taking a longer time to look at your application than others, but guess what? You haven't been rejected yet, which means they are probably trying to figure out:

1. Whether you are worth looking at; or
2. When and where they should tell you to go for an interview.

Why does it take so much longer for some people? Who knows! There must be a lot of factors that come into play, and unless the HR themselves come onto PPrune to explain, no one will ever know for sure how things are done. But one thing is for sure - as long as you don't have the rejection e-mail sitting in your inbox, then you are still in the run to secure a cadetship with Cathay Pacific.

Personally, I don't care what the ladies in the Recruitment Department do, or how this particular way of doing things is hurting the Cadet Programme (I actually do not see how it is doing so, candidates are a dime a dozen anyway). I am going to wait for as long as they need to assess my application. Like many others on this forum, I have decided to make flying my life-long career, so how can 3 or 6 or 9 months of waiting hurt a potential career that could span decades?

Patience, and good luck to all!:ok:

kiwiflyernz
6th Jan 2010, 04:22
Swine, I am actually sick of your rudeness. You should take a tablet of calm the hell down. Go, save some money, learn to fly, and if Cathay get back to you, take it as a bonus. Flying is a dream, and in the trial flights I have done, I am definitely going to follow that dream. Cathay don't owe you anything. And if you don't have the patience to wait for them to get back to you, I know there are thousands of others waiting to take your place. Sit back, hold tight, and as is everything in aviation, "always have a backup plan, and a backup for the backup plan as well".

kiwiflyernz
6th Jan 2010, 07:42
CX number one, did you get an email from CX saying they would get back to you by the end of next week (Fri 15th?)

kiwiflyernz
6th Jan 2010, 08:26
Yeah in AKL. (Live there also) And I wasn't too sure as to the time frame to getting a reply. Good luck

kiwiflyernz
6th Jan 2010, 08:38
Neither, I am just hanging in and waiting lol. What I meant with the previous post was that I had the interview in AkL But I know these things take time. I just hope I did o.k. in the practical test.

kiwiflyernz
6th Jan 2010, 08:54
Just what I have read online. Computer tests for maths, and interviews. And of course a tour of CX City.

wowpeter.com Blog Archive Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Program! [Updated with International Applicant Timeline / Info] (http://www.wowpeter.com/?p=75) is a good site to have a look at.

Also, I guess having some knowledge of FTA wouldn't go to far amiss.

I think the interviews took place over 3.5 days, with 3 or 4 each 0.5 day. so maybe a total of 20-25??? Don't really know

boquera
6th Jan 2010, 10:29
i have to agree with you CX #1 and Kiwi (cheers for putting up the link), excellent piece to read although its made me slightly nervous for when (if) i get my own interview!

kiwiflyernz
6th Jan 2010, 22:20
Unfortunatly CX, I have no idea at all. You seem to have a bit of inside information :ok:

holdmetight
7th Jan 2010, 10:37
there is a Stage 2 scheduled in the second half of Jan some time

I know that a fresh round of HKG-based applications will begin around the 11th or 12th of January. The scheduled stage 2 assessment in late January that you speak of could be for these people, but I'd keep checking my phone/e-mail if I were you. You never know, perhaps you might be slotted in as well.

Good luck!

nicky7789
11th Jan 2010, 08:13
If i have a CPL, can i do my ATPL training in hong kong? if they dont have ATPL training in hong kong, which country do you guys recommend me to have my ATPL training done?

nicky7789
14th Jan 2010, 07:39
Does anyone here knows if theres an ATPL course/training in Hong kong, I'm currently in Perth right now and they only train pilots up to CPL level, I was thinking to do my ATPL in Hong Kong, if theres an ATPL course/training, where is it held and do they accept foreigners?

FinalApp
15th Jan 2010, 07:57
CX Number One: Yup, had a call from Cathay. Will be seeing them in Hong Kong later this month.

Any other Melbournites heading up Australia day?

flyhiigh
15th Jan 2010, 10:43
CX nr 1 finalApp, when did you guys apply?

How long did it take from the day you sent in the applications til they called?

I send in my app in Nov, havnt heard anything..:hmm:

A330-343E
16th Jan 2010, 02:29
There are no ATPL courses in Hong Kong.

Swine Facipic
16th Jan 2010, 03:40
With Great Courage and Motivation I write this today. Please Appreciate the Honesty.

This thread is with regards to the CX CPP ( Cadet Pilot Programme ) which is very very active. I know that forum's / websites / webpages like "www.pprune.org" , "www.wowpeter.com" , "www.askcaptainlim.com" , "www.******************" are a great resource for Cadet Wannabes but they are not enough.

Lets start with the sensitive information that all the people / wannabe cadets / current cadets / ex-cadets ( current cx so's) don't talk about.

1) Stage 1 Interview

* Technical Multiple Choice Questionnaire - " The JKI Booklet ." am happy to e-mail it to anyone who wants it just e-mail me, good to have it before the Flight Crew Recruitment Department sends it to you, you can prepare for it and ace the technical test.

* Reasoning Test - People say it cannot be prepared for , I used to believe the same till my actual Stage 1 interview , after my Stage 1 , I went to the library and bang "Raven's Advanced Progressive Matrices " the exact booklet that I was tested on.

Raven's Progressive Matrices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven's_Progressive_Matrices)

Very easily available at any library / Oxford Publications also print them and easy to self study. Thats all for the reasoning if you practice all the 8 booklets you will be able to ace the test.

FELLOW WANNABE CADETS BEWARE OF CONS. ( I wish someone had written about this before I spent $3000 AUD)

* Pilot Aptitude Training Systems * Jonathan Ryan will charge you $3000 AUD Australian Dollars , he claims to prepare you for the entire selection process , you can spend 3000 $ in a much better way , if you take heed of what is written here then you can make it without paying anyone. PATS is a waste of money (Speaking out of personal experience)

* Face to Face Technical and Personal Interview , know your theory, all what you are supposed to know + a bit extra like

a) company information
b) fleet
c) engines used by CX on different planes
d) lots of information available online

I have a huge list of question which were actually asked in the interview happy to e-mail them to all of you. Remember one thing do not bull**** , say the truth.

Thats all that I can think of at the moment. Will update this topic as I remember more.

Expecting Contribution form fellow pilots / fellow wannabe cadets / friends who have inside info for CX CPP (Cadet Pilot Programme), do not be afraid, help all the wannabes like me, all the help will be highly appreciated.

P.S. - this topic is intended to help fellow Cadet wannabes in good faith , people please post the truth , do not bull$#?t and mislead the readers.

Everything written above is nothing but the TRUTH.

Regards,
Swine Facipic
"[email protected]" - corrected e-mail address
:E

Swine Facipic
16th Jan 2010, 11:31
Well my friend , yes I had been waiting for nine months , and my wish did come true , I did get my initial interview, I just won't specify the dates of both because of personal reasons , my apologies.

But , all said and done Post number #146 is written in good faith, to help fellow cadet pilot wannabes as much as possible.

Regards ,
Swine Facipic

StandardToaster
16th Jan 2010, 12:58
Ahhh gotcha

ziggy_c
17th Jan 2010, 00:43
Hey I heard that this program was scrapped for January until further notice. Does anyone know differently as I know of a group that went up in early December for stage 2 interviews and all were sent home after day 1.

Swine Facipic
17th Jan 2010, 00:57
My friend all I know is that people were interviewed mid december melbourne and auckland , some guys from those interviews are going to Hong Kong for stage 2 on Jan 26, that is what i heard , but I don't have any confirmed news. As far as I know the programme is very much active.

If the guys who went for stage 2 early December could shed some light here !!!

0lancer0
17th Jan 2010, 03:02
Thanks Swine and Whey for their informative posts.
I applied in august and havent heard anything so I decided to email them today to check on my status. I hope they dont take any offense to that =/

holdmetight
17th Jan 2010, 03:32
Does anyone know differently as I know of a group that went up in early December for stage 2 interviews and all were sent home after day 1.

I don't know for sure but my guess is that they were all sent home after Day 1 because none of them could get past Stage 2. It happens, and probably on quite a regular basis. International applicants being sent to HKG are actually required to do Stage 2 assessments one day, and provided you are successful you only do Stage 3 the following day. If not, then you pack your bags and leave on the next flight out.

As mentioned by some others, the programme is still quite active. I have a friend who has been scheduled for a Stage 1 interview in late January, so I don't see how they could have frozen the program.

ziggy_c
17th Jan 2010, 03:48
They were all told upon check out of the hotel that the program had been frozen. Admittedly the night before they got the 'thanks for coming letter' but that was retracted the next morning ....not sure what happened there.

holdmetight
17th Jan 2010, 03:53
They were all told upon check out of the hotel that the program had been frozen. Admittedly the night before they got the 'thanks for coming letter' but that was retracted the next morning ....not sure what happened there.

Beats me, too... :confused:

Anyhow, they are still processing applications so if you are interested in applying, don't hold back because things are still in motion at cadet recruitment!

FinalApp
17th Jan 2010, 04:11

Who knows what was actually said! I wouldn't imagine them spending money on phone calls, staff, flights and hotels to send people onto stage 2 if the program had actually been frozen though.

citation89
17th Jan 2010, 10:45
Was there in Early December for stage 2&3 and it isn't frozen :ok:

wowpeter
17th Jan 2010, 20:41
I am glad that people find my blog useful ;)

Good luck on all your application! :)

wowpeter

AgentJackBauer
18th Jan 2010, 03:09
Are there any others attending stage two later this month? PM me if you would like to meet up in HKG. If you're a kiwi, perhaps AKL before then.

Swine Facipic
18th Jan 2010, 06:57
@ 0lancer0 , the flight crew recruitment department usually does not reply to such e-mails , they take a lot of time.

Swine Facipic
18th Jan 2010, 09:05
I thank you all for your responses , I have already had more than 20 requests for the JKI Booklet and other study material, happy to do more , Just send an e-mail

"[email protected]"

Regards
Swine Facipic

betpump5
18th Jan 2010, 10:13
I did get my initial interview, I just won't specify the dates of both because of personal reasons , my apologies.

Swine (apt name don't you think?)

Would these "personal" reasons be the fact that you complained on PPrune crying and whinging regarding the CX recruitment team not getting back to you???? And then calling me a pussy, just because I told you to take your head out of your arse?

boquera
18th Jan 2010, 10:50
the department seem a bit hit and miss when it comes to a reply.I've emailed them a few times (especially after missing out on 3 lots of initials despite applying in July) and they did get back to me once or twice and even signed a name on one!

I wouldn't send loads but the occasional one will get answered-good luck

Swine Facipic
18th Jan 2010, 11:42
my apologies betpump5.

0lancer0
18th Jan 2010, 22:44
Hey thanks Swine and Boquera for your input.

I actually just received 2 emails back. They both go along the lines of my application is still on the applications to be processed and they will keep me informed on my application status once it has been confirmed. So I guess they havent thrown it out yet lol

Mike Whiskey Romeo
19th Jan 2010, 22:03
Hi all,

I sent my initial application at the end of November. Does anyone know when the next phase one interviews might be taking place?. I applied for London.

Regards,

Mike

raven777
19th Jan 2010, 22:31
MWR,

The next stage 1 for London will be held in early Feb 2010. I applied in late Nov as well and haven't heard anything either. So I am hoping to get into the round after, which I believe will be held in April (they come to London every 2 months as records show). I think the one held in Feb is for those who applied in Oct 09 or before. If someone has any more details, would be great to share it with us.

Regards
Raven 777

Swine Facipic
19th Jan 2010, 23:48
@raven777 and @MWR

have you guys read my post # 146
POST # 146 (http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour-wannabes/378978-cathay-pacific-cadet-pilot-programme-8.html#post5447758)

If not please do , and e-mail me if you need any help.

regards
Swine Facipic.

Holdingoff
22nd Jan 2010, 03:10
@raven777 or anyone else who knows

(they come to London every 2 months as records show)

Just wondering where you got this information from? Does that mean that the next Melbourne interviews will be in approx 2 months as they have just been interviewing here?

Cheers
Holdingoff

flying_hamster
22nd Jan 2010, 12:50
Anybody out there who applied to be interviewed in KUL got a response? I sent my application in June of 2009. No response to date, besided the "geographical area" one.. My second choice was HKG. Dont they consider people for the second choice location if there arent enough candidates for firch choice? anybody who might have an idea as to what might be going on with HR?

@Swine Facific: How far down the line have you gone with the interviews? having followed your threads, the last you did was stage 2, is it?

holdmetight
22nd Jan 2010, 13:08
I do not know what HR are doing now or how they conduct their business, but I hear that they are handling well in excess of 10,000 applications. Couple that to the fact that there are only a few recruitment ladies processing everything that is related to cadets, and it's not hard to see why they are especially slow. Have patience!

Though having said that, I would suggest you e-mail them and request them to change your interview location. IMHO it is better to be proactive, rather than wait for them to get to you. I don't know if it will work or not, but it is an option.

Best of luck!!

holdmetight
24th Jan 2010, 03:31
Send your updates to the recruitment e-mail address:

[email protected]

kiwiflyernz
24th Jan 2010, 08:50
Just be really, really patient. Things will take a long time for a start to get processed, but once you get your first interview, things speed up a lot. All I can say is don't hold out on Cathay. There are thousands of people applying, and therefore you need to have a backup plan. I would suggest start getting more flying experience. Apply for every opportunity, and even volunteer at your local flying club to do glider tows etc for free.

betpump5
25th Jan 2010, 05:30
Couple that to the fact that there are only a few recruitment ladies processing everything that is related to cadets, and it's not hard to see why they are especially slow

By any standard, the ladies are not especially slow. Regardless if there are 10 applicants or 10'000 applicants. They do their job and contact successul candidates first as the amount of organisation for Stage 2/3 and Flight Grading is huge. To the unsuccesful ones, unfortunately just like in ANY job where there are thousands of applicants, you are a low priority for being contacted.

tu144
25th Jan 2010, 05:59
Man I havent even applied yet. Seems like this is an ongoing process one cant really know when is the best time to apply.

25th Jan 2010, 07:40
I would agree with betbump I have found the HR team to be fantastic and very helpful. Considering the number of applicants they have had I am amazed how quickly they have processed these stages.

Good luck to all waiting to hear about applications.

Ispahan
25th Jan 2010, 09:26
Does anybody here received a formal "NO SORRY" response ? ? ? this could help to know how they deal with unsuccessful applications....I mean are we supposed to expect any answer in case our application didn't go through ?

(Applied in early october 09...) got a general reply on December 16:

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your interest in the Cadet Pilot Programme.

The initial interviews will be arranged in the major cities outside Hong Kong, subject to the sufficiency of eligible candidates in the same geographic areas.

At the moment, we are unable to speculate when the next schedule will take place in near future.

We will keep you informed of the application status after it is confirmed.

Thank you for your attention.

Best Regards

holdmetight
25th Jan 2010, 12:12
By any standard, the ladies are not especially slow. Regardless if there are 10 applicants or 10'000 applicants. They do their job and contact successul candidates first as the amount of organisation for Stage 2/3 and Flight Grading is huge. To the unsuccesful ones, unfortunately just like in ANY job where there are thousands of applicants, you are a low priority for being contacted.

What I meant was that candidates should expect a longer wait for an initial test/interview, due to the sheer volume of applications that the HR team now have to deal with. I am sure that once HR have started assessing someone, the process will be efficient and professional, as I have once experienced.

Happy contrails!:ok:

cadetpilotwannabe
26th Jan 2010, 14:20
Hi there, I am new here. Nice to meet you all.
I just done my initial test on Jan 13. And now I am waiting for their call....
I hope I can make it and move on to Stage 1B...

How's everyone doing. I am currently in Hong Kong. If you guys have any question, feel free to ask me. See if i can help.

Worldtourist
27th Jan 2010, 02:14
Thanks Swine Facipic for post #146 (I have received the information that was emailed, thanks), and WheyPCrocks for post #147.
That's what these forums are all about; pilots helping other pilots. Which is why it's a little surprising that this stuff wasn't out there before now. Prehaps it was.
I applied late last year, and am patiently waiting to hear further. So this will give me something to peruse in the meantime. :ok:

cadetpilotwannabe
27th Jan 2010, 03:48
Anyone got the call recently?

cadetpilotwannabe
27th Jan 2010, 03:50
btw,if I cannot make through the interview? Will I receive any email of rejection?
I did not receive anything after I done my first round interview. No news is good news.... right?

checkxp
27th Jan 2010, 11:32
Hello there, Sorry to be a little bit coming out of nowhere, but I was wondering if there still is a possibility to enter the cadet programme, of if this thread is only for people who already got in the programme.

Thanks a lot.

Worldtourist
27th Jan 2010, 19:23
Welcome checkxp and cadetpilotwannabe. This forum is for anyone who wants to work in Hong Kong and this thread is specific to the Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme. Whether that be people who are thinking of applying, applied and waiting, and at different stages of the long process. Research the thread, especially posts #146 & #147, which are quite helpful. :)

cadetpilotwannabe
28th Jan 2010, 04:17
Hey guys, I received a call for an initial interview and JKI test. For those who are still waiting for their response, please do not worry. I believe they are working on the recruitment process. Hope you guys all the best!

FL999
28th Jan 2010, 05:36
Applied on the 3rd of june. The day after they changed the requirements on the website. We've now reached the end of january and still 0 response. I sent an e-mail to see what was going on and got the generic 'geographical area' e-mail. So those of you who applied a month ago or 2, dont panic, there's worse.

cadetpilotwannabe
28th Jan 2010, 05:40
Hi CX Number One,

I am doing it in Hong Kong. Just to let you guys know. I did my stage 1 interview in 2 separate section. In Hong Kong, we have Stage 1A, which is aptitude test, reasoning test, and initial interview, and Stage 1B, which is JKI test and interview.

wishlog
28th Jan 2010, 06:59
Hi guys, I've finished my 1A interview in 21th Jan. They told me to wait around 'one week', but still have no reply yet. May I know that will they have any 'formal rejection letter', or just no response?

Thanks

nflp
29th Jan 2010, 00:59
Hi there, I did my stage 1A on 19 Jan. The HR lady said we should get a reply from them via telephone or e-mail within one month, no matter what the results are. So for those of us who haven't heard from them yet, we can still wait around...
Good luck!

cadetpilotwannabe
29th Jan 2010, 02:37
You will receive an email.

cadetpilotwannabe
29th Jan 2010, 12:41
Hey guys I have one quick question here. Do applicants have to finish the ICAO test before they move on to stage 2?

Eddie757
29th Jan 2010, 19:19
Hey guys,

I am currently putting together my application and have few questions:

Does anyone know if the application can be updated once it has been submitted? I ask because I am an FAA certified flight instructor and am continuously building flight time, and I plan to earn my multi engine instructor certification in about 2 months.

Also, does anyone think a call for an interview would come earlier if I put Hong Kong as first choice? I am willing to travel there for the interview.

Thanks! :)

flapsupdown
30th Jan 2010, 13:03
The ICAO test comes after....don't know if this is still the case but the ICAO test is usually behind the final interview (i.e. management interview)

flapsupdown
30th Jan 2010, 13:06
I don't think you can update your application once submitted....however, if invited for an interview, I would definitely bring the records (i.e. logbook) to show what you have completed between the time your application was submitted and the interview.

Also, its POSSIBLE that you will get an interview sooner if you put HK as your first choice, but remember, if you do this you'll have to do ALL your interviews in HK and that might take a while. Also, if your choice is NOT Hong Kong and you make the later stages of the selection process, Cathay will pay for your flight and accommodation while in Hong Kong.

cadetpilotwannabe
31st Jan 2010, 06:53
I know CX uses Oxford Placement Test in the initial test. I am wondering if I can get any textbook for practice?

airplaneridesrfun
31st Jan 2010, 11:42
you know, some of these tests are not necessarily he got this number of questions right. On the cognitive test, there may be built in cognitive indicators to see how one improves after given a set of shapes, graphics, etc.... Therefore, if you get all of the questions right, but do not show any improvement throughout the test, you may still fail one of the criteria of the test. Not sure if this is the case at CX or not.... who knows.

nick185
31st Jan 2010, 12:03
Hi everybody,

Iv got a interview with CX in London this Tuesday (2/02), and was just looking for some advice on any technical questions in the interview? And also how much extra reading around the booklet they give you needs to be done? Unfortunatly Iv had university exams to get though this month as well so I haven't been able to devote as much time to this as I would of liked to :(

N

blueskybird
31st Jan 2010, 21:46
Nick185 out of interest when did you submit your application, as I did so in July 09 and all I've received back was an email saying that my application will be processed and looked at when they're next looking at my geographical area of choice - which is London of course.

Cheers ;-)

blueskybird
31st Jan 2010, 21:48
...oh and good luck for your interview on the 2nd! :ok:

Oranguzee
1st Feb 2010, 00:15
Damm,2nd of Feb?second time the recruitment team passes through London (which was my choice)and I don't get a call,email,letter..nothing.Waiting for 4 months and counting...I guess is a no then!Next step,knock on tose banks door lol

holdmetight
1st Feb 2010, 04:16
Are there any re-applicants to the CXCPP being assessed now? I just wonder what their attitude towards second timers is!

Eddie757
1st Feb 2010, 05:35
Thanks for the advice! :)

1st Feb 2010, 08:31
Be patient guys, they would of had a large amount of applications around this time so 4 months wait does not mean you may not get a call. I believe June will be next round in London so hopefully you will get a chance then.

Good luck all

nick185
1st Feb 2010, 10:14
Blueskibird,

I sent my application in mid october 2009......don't know why I got a call and others Didn't - I honest thought it was a bit of a loose end......

*edit to change date - I didnt apply in october 2010!!

stuart3380
1st Feb 2010, 11:42
i have an interview this thursday (4 feb) in London. I hold a frozen ATPL

1st Feb 2010, 12:31
Good luck Nick / Stuart

hopefully see you in Adelaide :-)

cadetpilotwannabe
1st Feb 2010, 15:34
Hey guys, I am wondering what courses you will take when you go to ADL. I go to ADL's website, and I found that there are many different courses. I am wondering which is the one for CPP?

michaeljpotter
1st Feb 2010, 19:22
I wish all applicants who are participating tomorrow all the very best of luck!

Out of interest I'd like to know whom of the applicants that have heard within or around the quarter year mark hold degrees/currently completing? and whom that doesnt if it took any longer to hear or hear at all as of yet?
It would be interesting to find out.

themightysonic
1st Feb 2010, 21:23
Hey all. Are there any others heading to HKG for stage 2 on the 10th of this month? PM me if you would like to meet up in HKG. If you're a kiwi, maybe in Auckland beforehand. Cheers!

cadetpilotwannabe
2nd Feb 2010, 07:13
Good luck to you themightysonic, I am working hard for my stage 1b as well. hope i can move on to stage 2 like u. any advice will be appreciated.

nick185
2nd Feb 2010, 19:07
Stewart, if your have a frozen ATPL, why are you applying for the cadet programme?

Eddie757
3rd Feb 2010, 06:42
Does anyone have a recommendation of what would be the best place to put on the application for 1st choice place of interview? I am willing to travel anywhere.

Thanks!

stuart3380
3rd Feb 2010, 08:20
Cathay are just waiting for authorisation from to run a new abridged cadet scheme for guys who already hold a licence, thats why i applied! how did the interviews go yesterday??

ladypilot85
3rd Feb 2010, 09:13
That's exciting, im sure there will be a lot of interest in it. I have an interview in London tomorrow too and I have to say I was slightly nervous when I saw that someone with a frozen ATPL was applying! Best of luck to everyone doing 1st round interviews this week.

nick185
3rd Feb 2010, 09:22
Ahh I see, I see.

It went OK thanks - lots of tech questions in the interview - there are some where I had to say 'Sorry i just dont know that or I only know x y z about it and no more" can't help bieng honest - no tricky questions though - they just want to get to know you at this early stage.

Have you got a interview?

lautzeyan
3rd Feb 2010, 13:57
when is the deadline for CX CPP recruitment?and how many times of intake does it have each year and about when?

stuart3380
3rd Feb 2010, 14:29
Good to hear it went ok. I have interview tmrw. So fingers crossed it goes ok and hopefully find a bit more out about this new scheme.

cadetpilotwannabe
3rd Feb 2010, 15:19
Hi stuart,

good luck on yr interview tmr. Keep us updated! I will have mine next week. Which stage u are going tmr?

betpump5
4th Feb 2010, 11:25
There has been "talk" about a "scheme" that caters for those with CPL ME/IR but nothing more than that.

To answer the question posed earlier, the reason why fATPLs and even fATPL FIs are applying to the "cadet" scheme is because this is the super-fast track to a 777 or A340 job at a pretty good airline.

Whether you respect this route, this "selling your soul" pathway (as many have said) to the shiney jet is a discussion that has bored me to death over the past few months. But the reality is that for Stuart (29 Newcastle) his options, if you can call it that, are very limited in England. BA are f**ked, easyJet only take CTC mugs for 6 months, and Ryanair wants £30K.

See it as you will.

nick185
4th Feb 2010, 11:35
Just out of interest; does anyone know the pay during training (if any)? Or how long you have to work for CX for after.....questions I should of indeeded asked at interview but didnt think of them!

N

citation89
4th Feb 2010, 16:12
@ lautzeyan

The recruitment is ongoing for the immediate future, but you never know what may happen.

There are currently courses starting roughly every 3 months, with the next one starting in March

@ Nick185

During training, you are looking at, I believe approx 110 Aussie dollars per week, but as you get food and accommodation paid, it is pretty reasonable.

There is no 'official' bond after training as they are illegal by Hong Kong law. Your SO hours will not be logged in Full, e.g. if you fly 8 hours, you wont log 8 hours, I believe you log half the hours. Also, If you wanted to move on, you in theory could, but only to an airline that operates with SO's, as other airlines do not look at SO hours. Also, as it is a HKCAD licence, you would have to do your own conversions etc

C89

nick185
4th Feb 2010, 17:49
Ahh I see, thanks :)

Sorry - one more question RE the licences - once you become a Jr F/O i.e. you starat doing take off's / approaches / landigns etc.... I assume you get a HK ATPL - how easy is it to convert to a 'standard' (if there is such a thing) ATPL???

citation89
4th Feb 2010, 18:12
by normal i'm assuming you mean JAA?

I'm not 100% sure, someone else can probably give you a better idea. I do know it would involve doing all the ground school and exams, but to what extent extra flying is needed, i'm not too sure

C89

Speedbird2263
5th Feb 2010, 16:01
Now 3 month's and still waiting for a whisper :)

bfsalphaone
5th Feb 2010, 16:43
Anyone got any idea when we are likely to hear the result of the London interviews held this week?

happyguy99
6th Feb 2010, 05:52
Hi, during an interview, I was asked a question which mentioned an allowance of AU$50.00 per week for a cadet.

CaptainCourageous au
6th Feb 2010, 06:43
Heard back a couple of weeks back and was successful in gettting to the second round. Heading over to HKG this coming week. Done a lot of prep but still not entirely sure what to expect. Any tips from those who have been through the process or those “in the know”?

biggles152
6th Feb 2010, 17:30
at the interview they only told me "we will let you know as soon as possible", so I am hoping that means early next week!

cadetpilotwannabe
7th Feb 2010, 10:10
Hey guys, how's everyone doing? I am currently preparing my JKI test. I will have the test this month. Any advice for me?

nick185
7th Feb 2010, 12:59
I got asked alot about their fleet - such as what aircraft have winglets (and why...)
which aircraft go where etc....

If you do a bit of extra reading around the JIK then it definatly makes a good impression (it did for me anyway!)

What stage are you at?

N

cadetpilotwannabe
7th Feb 2010, 14:11
Thanks Nick. I am in stage 1B now. So, they ask such questions in the JKI test or during the interview?

cadetpilotwannabe
7th Feb 2010, 15:45
btw Nick, can you tell me which CX aircraft have Winglet?

correct me if i am wrong.

With Winglet:

B747- 400
B747 400 BCF
B747 400 Freighter
B747 400ERF
A340 300
A330 300

nick185
7th Feb 2010, 17:12
They ask questions in both - you will have to go into much more detail in the interview though - as much detail as you can..

I think so - have a look on airliners.net and see if you can find any 777 with winglets - i dont think that there are though

happyguy99
7th Feb 2010, 18:25
You are correct, neither the Boeing 777 - 200/300/300ER have winglets.

cadetpilotwannabe
9th Feb 2010, 15:27
one more question, I am wondering what this the different between Airbus and Boeing? Is there any website or post i can read here@@?

nick185
9th Feb 2010, 15:54
Airbuss = European
Boeing = US

Look on the boeing & airbus websites and look up the aircraft that CX use

flynhigh
9th Feb 2010, 17:04
I think B777 have different type of winglets called Raked winglets... Its been 3 years since I interviewed with CX so I could be wrong. But look at B777-300 wing and you will see what I talking about. Good luck to all of you.:ok:

biggles152
9th Feb 2010, 17:32
Theyre called 'Raked Wings'. If you look at the new 747s rolling of the production line, they also now have raked wings as opposed to wingtips!

chileconcarne27
9th Feb 2010, 19:44
I just had my email from CX saying i didn't get in. Good luck to the rest of you!

9th Feb 2010, 19:57
Chileconcarne

You didn't make it this time but nothing to say you won't on the second attempt. If you are flying update your hours, if you are doing ATPL exams add that in to the application too. Give it 6 to 12 months and try again. I know of at least one person down in Adelaide that didn't get in first time and is now almost finished the CPP after applying again.

Good luck and stick at it!

nick185
9th Feb 2010, 21:18
I didnt get in either!

Ah well - must of been more competitive at this stage than i thought - any ideas if they give feedback??

citation89
9th Feb 2010, 23:37
@ Chileconcarne and nick185

As 122.85 said, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!! Trust me, I have learnt this first hand! If you didn't get through the first time, it doesn't mean they don't think you are right for the position, it just means they don't think you are ready. I know many people that have succeeded on their second attempt, they just think that you need to go away and gain more experience and come back! If you have a PPL and haven't done the ATPL ground-school already, I'd seriously recommend it, it really will help. I know it is hard, but being told no will only eventually make you stronger to come back fighting.

Nah, they won't give you feedback, but just spend some time and sit and think about the interview and tests. Think about everything you said and did and imagine you are in the interviewers position. If you give it some time, you will realise what probably didn't go so well

C89

cadetpilotwannabe
10th Feb 2010, 05:47
Chileconcarne and nick,

which stage you guys up to? Don't give up!

nick185
12th Feb 2010, 21:06
It was the Initial filter interview....

Something surprised me today though:
I had a call from someone at CX and gave me feedback on my performance (without any prompting or asking for a phonecall on my behalf) - and said that my interview was very strong but my reasoning test was to be desired.....and to re apply in 6 months!

I take it this is something positive - as Id be surprised if they gave everyone feedback in this way??

N

dagger19
13th Feb 2010, 03:01
wrong post sorry

cadetpilotwannabe
13th Feb 2010, 03:26
Nick, I am sorry to hear that. Sorry, how long it takes you to get the result? When did you do your initial interview? Have you done the JKI test? Or you simply do the aptitude test and first round interview? By the way, are you Hong Kong resident?

cadetpilotwannabe
13th Feb 2010, 03:29
I just done my first interview last week... And now i am waiting...... Anyone how long it take for their response.... Will they give you a call or email to you first?

nick185
13th Feb 2010, 10:59
It was the initial interview featuring a interview, JKI test and a reasoing test which was an hour choosing the next shape or object in the sequence - was quite hard - neverseen anything like it before hence the result!!

I got the eamil first - the call came about 4 days later! Im still surprised they called me without any request's for feedback!

SW1
13th Feb 2010, 12:23
Nick 185, I got the call from a certain lady whose name begins with E from Cx. Was one of my interviewers.

I could'nt finish my reasoning test so likewise my result was crap. A friend from Uni who was having his stage 1 the same day as mine never received the call.

What's your experience level? Ive got a Frozen ATPL with some jet hours.

cadetpilotwannabe
13th Feb 2010, 14:20
Happy new year guys =)

nick185
13th Feb 2010, 17:31
SW1

I have 12 hours from a RAF scolarship, 1 of whihc solo on a Grob115D - thats it!

happyguy99
14th Feb 2010, 08:20
Hi SW1, perhaps her name is Emily Chan from the Human Resources Dept. She was one of my interviewers. I didn't finish either part A or part B of the reasoning test either. I wouldn't be discouraged but try again. In the mean time work towards becoming a pilot under your own steam as it will show evidence of your interest and commitment and will work in your favour if you choose to apply again.

lee_apromise
14th Feb 2010, 11:43
Good day fellas.

I applied a few days ago after I finally realized that engineering job is so boring (something I didn't realize back in the uni) and I need to pursue my childhood dream.

I hope my PPL isn't going to be a disadvantage in selection process.

By the way, is there anyone who would would be kind to send me a JKI booklet? I would really appreciate it.

All the best to you guys :ok:

michael Paul
14th Feb 2010, 23:57
G'day lads,

Lee same story, I applied yesterday, my engineering job is so very boring.

From this forum sounds like we missed the last Aus interviews by a few months, it would be good to hear your progress being a fellow oz.

Good luck all with your applications and waiting to hear back.

happyguy99
15th Feb 2010, 00:09
hi, having achieved and paid for a PPL on your own will not work against you, it will however show your interest in becoming a pilot. I suggest that you continue building your own experience by working towards your CPL - this will show continued commitment. If you get an interview be prepared to explain your reasons for wanting to become a pilot and why you have decided to leave your engineering career. Do not under any circumstances say that engineering is boring - this will reflect on you poorly - what if your interviewing captain liked engineering? If you are selected you will spend just over a year training to become an SO - you will then sit in the jump seat for 3 to 5 years - now does your engineering work sound boring? Put a spin on it, you enjoy engineering yes, however, since you have discovered that you love flying you immediately knew that this was what you wanted to for the rest of your career.

cadetpilotwannabe
15th Feb 2010, 04:02
Does anyone know how the ICAO test look like during the interview? I heard that it is a bit different from the one out there. Is that true? Will it require a lot of technical term? How can I prepare for that? Any input will be appreciate =)

biggles152
15th Feb 2010, 20:16
Hi all,

any suggestions on how best to prepare for the maths assesment, what sort of questions can be expected, what should one know that you might not use in every day life?

Cheers

happyguy99
16th Feb 2010, 00:09
hi, exactly what do you mean by the ICAO test?

happyguy99
16th Feb 2010, 00:42
hi, there will be testing of your ability in mathematics in all stages of the interview process. During each interview you will be asked just a couple of maths questions by the interviewing Captains, examples are

1) if you are heading 135 degrees and wish to fly a reciprocal heading, what new heading do you need to fly?

2) if you're at 33,000 ft and intend to descend to sea level at a rate of 3,000 feet per minute, how long will the descent take?

The questions above are examples of actual questions asked during interviews, and are relatively simple, however, during the interview you will probably be a little nervous which will affect your performance. You will then likely be asked to explain how you came to your answer.

During the computer based aptitude testing at stage 2 of the interview process you will be given a series of simple subtraction equations complete with answer. Your task will be to state whether the answer is correct or incorrect. Your score is determined by how many you get correct and how fast you complete the test.

Additionally, during stage 2, there is a designated mathematics test. This test has 33 questions and you have 30 minutes to complete it. As with previous tests you have no calculator but are permitted a pen and paper. You are presented some information which may be in the form of a few sentences or a table/graph and are asked a few questions regarding this information. You then need to choose an answer from a possible sixteen. This test is fairly difficult, a good strategy is to look at the questions and if you are not sure just move on to the next as some are very easy compared to others. Don't waste time on a question you probably won't be able to answer as you may not have enough time to answer questions which you would work out almost instantly.

cadetpilotwannabe
16th Feb 2010, 04:04
There are 6 level in ICAO English Test. Candidates have to get 4 out of 6 in order to work in a major airline, including Cathay Pacific Airways. In the test, it is simply testing your listening and speaking skills. I thought ICAO English test is an international test, and we have to get 4/6 during the interview. So, I am just wondering how can I prepare for it. I found that there are many courses and textbooks out there, but I am not sure which one is the most suitable.

holdmetight
16th Feb 2010, 04:47
You will need to do the following items during the ICAO English Test. You might do these tasks in a different order.

1. You will need to paraphrase 5-6 phrases provided by the assessor.

2. You will hear 7-8 conversations spoken with different accents, and you will have describe what you heard in the conversation and answer any follow-up questions the assessor may have for you.

3. A phrase will appear on the screen and you will need to define the phrase to the assessor. They will use some unusual words/expressions to trip you up.

4. You will be given a photo and asked to describe what you see in the photo. Follow-up questions are likely to be asked.

5. You will be given a scenario, then asked to select (from a list) an item to talk about. The item is related to the scenario.

6. You will watch a short video, after which you will be asked to explain what you saw in the video. Follow-up questions are likely to be asked.

Good luck!

cadetpilotwannabe
16th Feb 2010, 08:39
Thanks holdmetight. So, do you have any suggestion how to prepare for the ICAO test? What kind of question/ phrase we will get in the exam. Is there any aviation/ technical question in exam? (or they simply test your English ability). What is the common terms in the exam.

I am appreciated for your help. Your information is so helpful to me!

cadetpilotwannabe
16th Feb 2010, 08:42
btw is this the internal exam for CX CCP candidates only? is this same as the one we take it outside? And how long we will get a result after the ICAO test with CX?

holdmetight
16th Feb 2010, 09:34
Hey there,

As far as I know, the english test does not involve any technical aviation english, nor are you required to answer any questions related to technical knowledge. Phrases they might ask you to define are idioms and expressions, for example, one of my friends was asked to explain what "crash-course" meant. Unless you can memorize an entire dictionary, otherwise the only preparation you can do is keep cool and try your best at the test.

Apparently you are not told your score, regardless if you passed or failed. If you passed then obviously you move onto Stage 2, and if you failed you will be asked to do 100 hours of English courses before attempting the ICAO test again. The CX ICAO test is an in-house test, and holding a current ICAO english rating does not exempt you from the test.

If anyone knows better than I do, please feel free to make corrections. Otherwise, good luck and try your best.

cadetpilotwannabe
16th Feb 2010, 09:46
thanks holdmetight =) you are so helpful! So, which stage you are at right now?

holdmetight
16th Feb 2010, 09:52
So, which stage you are at right now?

Stuck at Stage 0. :rolleyes:

Applied 2 months ago, still waiting for them to get back to me. My availability for interviews in HKG doesn't seem to be doing me any favours... most probably because I am re-applying.

Have you been given a date for an ICAO test yet? If so, you have most probably passed Stage 1.

dagger19
16th Feb 2010, 10:17
does reapplying disfavour you in anyway? i too just reapplied moments ago... gd luck everyone who's in the selection process.

holdmetight : when was ur last application?