PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

captain.weird
3rd Mar 2012, 10:06
Wow A330! That is really amazing! A few months ago a lot of people bashed you up here about your english, but now, a cadet pilot! I'm sure you deserve it! Well done man! When are you going to ADL? Which CP?

Good luck homeboy! Wish you the best! Now it is our turn, but the HKG Gov don't let me pass the boarder anymore.

kitcanfly
3rd Mar 2012, 13:20
Congrats,
finally the DREAM comes true:D

lucky86
3rd Mar 2012, 13:38
Hey All,

First time post, so please be gentle :)

I think I ticked a lot of boxes already, I got HK ID card, born and raised in Australia, fluent cantonese and english, currently living in Adelaide and working in the Aviation Industry as an electrical engineer..

Also planning to get 5-10hours at Parafield Airport in the next month to 'impress' the interviewers (if i get an interview)..

I submitted my Cathay cadet application in Jan 2012, and hopefully will get a reply soon!

Anyone here from Adelaide (or any cities in Australia) and still awaiting a response from Cathay? If so, how long have you been waiting for?

Much appreciated,

lucky86.

captain.weird
3rd Mar 2012, 14:03
Lucky86, for which interview location did you applied for? If you choose HKG, I'm sure you will get the first interview sooner then another location! But it also depends on the recruitment team. But now is the 61 wks programme only available for HKID holders, so I think the recruiters will stay in HKG.

Best of luck!

Cessna414CC
3rd Mar 2012, 14:45
Well done! If I may ask, how long ago did you apply and how old are you? Good job:ok:

lucky86
3rd Mar 2012, 23:47
hello captain weird,

I stated i want my initial interview in adelaide, hopefully that does not deter my chances in getting an interview.

More than happy to travel to HK for an interview ofcourse, but that as CX expense?

Cheers

orangeboy
4th Mar 2012, 00:12
First interview is at your expense - only stage 2/3 and flight grading are covered by CX.

flyber
4th Mar 2012, 04:15
Now because Icao English test is a part of stage 3 and so I think the re-test,does CX provide tickets for Icao English re-test?

orangeboy
4th Mar 2012, 04:22
flyber, you are probably best asking CX directly - i've actualy heard of some people having their ICAO after flight grading, when they go to HK to complete some HR type course before heading off to Adelaide for official training. Some people do the ICAO test before their stage 2. I think it just depends on the circumstances and CX's schedule.

SloppyJoe
4th Mar 2012, 09:17
It may be to do with if you speak fluent English as if it were your native language. If you do they don't worry about it so schedule your test when possible. If your English is not perfect they probably get you to do the test during selection.

flyber
4th Mar 2012, 11:19
Thanks for the reply. Btw English is not my first language but I don't think my English is that bad to deserve a re-test. Anyway, I hope all will be well,in 6 months time as they said, but I cannot imagine being asked to pay for the fare back to HK just for the Icao English re-test.Any ideas?

captain.weird
4th Mar 2012, 12:31
Flyber, don't waste your time thinking for your f*cking crazy ticket man.. That's ridiculous.

I would more worry about the retake itself than your ticket. Besides, would it be so bad to pay for your ticket to HKG?

Put your effort and brains in the ICAO test, the ticket will come by itself.

CW

flyber
4th Mar 2012, 14:43
Thanks for the advice, I will now focus on the re-test. Maybe they have other plans on the tickets,who knows. Would someone who have done this re-test thing mind sharing the experience please.

rodoyiu
5th Mar 2012, 03:01
Hi there,

If anyone is having 2nd stage interview in Hong Kong, please kindly pm me.

Cheers :)

aryancool52
6th Mar 2012, 12:01
well i applied for this programe 6 months ago i have 245 hours....i was never contacted?

Battle Star Galatica
7th Mar 2012, 08:36
Thanks for the Info Bond.

Happy Landings

Cpt. Underpants
7th Mar 2012, 08:48
pay is 45000HKD and housing is 10000HKD, before tax

Not correct. Pay is HKD33000 and "allowance" is HKD10000, gross HKD43000, all before tax.

Spitfire88
7th Mar 2012, 10:01
i just got their info a week ago from hr and it said :

Basic Salary
SO 1st year HKD 422,040 per annum
JFO 1st year HKD 666,924 per annum

In addition, SO are eligible for hourly duty pay and is calculated on 84 credit hours per month equating to HKD 42,204 per annum.

Annual Bonus : equivalent to 1 months salary.

HK Tax : 17%

HK Allowances : HKD 10,000 per month

404 Titan
7th Mar 2012, 11:27
Spitfire88
In addition, SO are eligible for hourly duty pay and is calculated on 84 credit hours per month equating to HKD 42,204 per annum.
You’re assuming you do 84 hours per month. Because of the nature of Ultra Long Haul flying, it is almost impossible to roster you for exactly 84 hours per month. The company also doesn’t like paying overtime which kicks in above 84 hours so they generally will roster you for less than 84 hours. You also don’t accrue HDP while you’re on leave and when you’re sick.
Annual Bonus : equivalent to 1 months salary.
It is an “Annual Discretionary Bonus” with emphasis on the word “Discretionary”. The company doesn’t and hasn’t in the past paid this bonus.
HK Tax : 17%
Multiply this x2 for your first year to cover Provisional Tax, i.e. 34%.
HK Allowances : HKD 10,000 per month
How far do you think HK$10000 will go in paying for a place to rent in Hong Kong?

AndontcallmeShirley
7th Mar 2012, 15:34
Re: Housing etc

Ok, this is a mixture of opinion and facts, but it's all coming from someone living what you all seem to want to aspire to and are realities for most living here on these new terms. Take from it what you want.

If you are a westerner you will have a massive shock finding anything liveable for the amount they are offering as a package, all the way up the ladder.

Basically, for the absolute bare minimum accommodation most young, single professionals would want to live in in HK it's going to cost much, much more than this (fully taxable) allowance, and probably most of your salary as well. Somewhere local, and as cheap and as dull as it gets, like Tung Chung you're looking at 15k upwards for a shoebox for the privilege or breathing in some of the ****tiest air on the planet. DB, Gold Coast etc, a little more. The closer to town you get it goes up exponentially. Fancy living in town in an apartment where you can't touch both walls with your outstretched arms? Well you can't, almost certainly, ever. Unless you fancy sharing with two or three buddies, which I assure you gets very tiring very quickly, when you move your wives over etc (which you will!)

Realistically, you are spending <50% of your GROSS (dont forget 30% tax first year either... struggling yet?) every month filling someone elses pockets, just to live in a place you can stomach, so forget about ever buying a place here that you would ever actually want to live in. Look at typical buying prices and mortgage rates etc and do the sums. And be honest with yourself; factor in things like kids and a wife eventually, and the bigger place you will need. It's all well and good saying "Well i'll plan to save xx here and then I'll save xxx here and have xxxxx by JFO etc". Quite practically, if you have no other savings, rich parents etc you will never be able to do this. Hong Kong is an incredibly expensive place and living like a student, in a small apartment, I just about manage to save a few thousand HK$ a month. Is this worth moving away from your friends, family and all you hold dear for? Throw in a useless P2X rating and the privilege of babysitting the a/p for 8 hours at a time in the middle of the night over the north pole for 4 years? Close yet?

The reality is that as your wages go up, the chances are that your overall living costs ( rent, insurance, electricity rates etc) and your family commitments will too, at a faster rate. For example, Cathay will tell you that they pay upto 90% of your school fees, but they won't tell you that some schools, clubs etc require things like debentures (Google them), which they won't cover, and you won't be able to afford to. They also won't say it's practically impossible these days getting your kids into a school where you actually want them to go, when you want them to go. Say the only school you can get them into happens to be in, say, Clearwater Bay, but you live in DB. And you can't afford to live in Clearwater Bay. Or drive a car because you live in DB. Do you start to see the endless problems you will encounter living here without any money in your pocket?

To be completely honest the only guys I know that are truly happy here on local terms fall into one of three categories; Those with strong family ties to Hong Kong/Cathay; those who, for whatever reason, are money no object; and those who just can't wait to tell everybody they know they fly for CX and put pictures of "The Office " on Facebook. Everybody else is passing through, myself included. It is in no way a career airline under these terms. It would be literally financial suicide to do so. There are many good things about working, and especially starting your career here. I won't deny that. But the simple truth is that the longer you are here the more you will resent the deal you took because you are getting more and more short changed by the day and with the recent rewriting of contracts to many different groups of cadets, I am not of the opinion that this will feeling improve any time soon. I made the decision to come here. I am still not exactly sure whether it was the right one and I do accept that nobody forced me to sign the contract. However, if I had a crystal ball, or researched it more thoroughly you could argue, then I probably wouldn't have. But who knows?

If you have very few other options available to you then by all means have a look and make your own mind up but what I present to you are the realities a lot of guys are facing. They are disillusioned with life in HK, are unhappy and looking elsewhere, especially those with decent, DESO'esque hours. If you have options, especially at home, then I would strongly urge you to to stay, because, based on all of the above, why do you really want to come here?

Buyer beware!

J58
7th Mar 2012, 18:06
Hello everyone,

I spent a whole week going through this thread from page one. It was worth it. There is a tremendous amount of info here about the company, life in Hong Kong, interviews etc.

I have questions to those who did the 2nd stage interview very recently. Is the test they call "aviation mathematics" 30 or 60 minutes? I read in older posts about the math test where it was clearly stated that this test had not much to do with aviation, so don't expect glide slope, convergency and PNR calculations. They also wrote that the test was 30 minutes and had 33 questions. My second stage invitation states a 60 min limit for this test. Did they change the time limit to one hour to make it easier or harder with more questions? Or is it maybe a different test for AE candidates, really involving actual aviation mathematics?
Thank you
J

yatsuki
7th Mar 2012, 20:34
hi, I'm new to this forum and just applied the CX cadet program. I have read through alot of forums about the CX cadet interview but I still got a little confused about the application screening. I have no flying experiences, should I expect no chance that I will get contact for the interview? in other words, they actually will only contact people who already have flying experiences? if so, in order to pass the application screening, i should at least get the ICAO test passed and get some flying experiences? is this correct? thanks for any replies and taking time to view my message.

SloppyJoe
7th Mar 2012, 20:42
Yatsuki

If you hold a permanent hong kong identity card then they may call you for an interview.

If you do not hold a permanent hong kong identity card then you do not meet the requirements as do not hold a CPL/IR

You need to get flying experience if you are not a permanent resident of hong kong.

yatsuki
7th Mar 2012, 21:04
Thank you for your quick reply, SloppyJoe!:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

This really relief my nervous a bit, I've been stressing out to get prepared for the interview since I applied for the program. btw, did you go through the cadet program before? if so, can you tell me anything that helps for the interview? again, thank you for your reply!

thepilot77
8th Mar 2012, 09:45
Hi all.

I applied for the SO program on 05/2011 and still haven't heard anything from Cathay.

Could any of you guys advise on this! is it normal to wait for an application for that long or maybe I just don't meet the requirements.

Any guys from the UK applied mid last year and still waiting please update me.

Thank you all

harriedutch
8th Mar 2012, 11:29
I applied in April 2010 without experience and never received a call back.

Now I have 240 hours and started to fill in the online application form, but I didn´t completely finished it. Every time I try to login it says the system is currently unavailable, but this is already for 2 months??

I sent them an email and gave them a call, but they don´t respond. Does anyone has have had them problem before...?

thepilot77
8th Mar 2012, 11:59
Hi,

I've been having problem in updating my application like some other guys on this forms.

when i first applied, i hold JAR Frozen ATPL TT 500hrs and now i cant even update my application and so far no news from cathay.

Thanks

yatsuki
8th Mar 2012, 21:17
As I was reading previous posts, specifically the very recent ones, I saw some people already got the news about their stage 2 interview date is already confirmed in March, 2012 and yet I just applied on March, 4th, 2012. Is that mean that I'm already late for this quarter and I should expect a longwait on the response for my initial interview if my application is passed?

Also, people who already passed the stage 1 interview, can you guys share some information about your interview experience? thank you :)

adamctk
8th Mar 2012, 21:18
Hi guys,

I am new in here. Anyone has CPP final interview on 23 April in Hong Kong?

If yes, please, leave a message and contact.

Thank You

yatsuki
9th Mar 2012, 19:45
Thanks for the reply mate:ok:
I actually called Cathay and the sweet voiced lady told me the application screening might take up to 3~8months for them to reply the applicants :eek: *stunned* anyway, I would just go get some more hours during this period of time :)

And good luck to those who will do the final interview in April!:D:D:D:D:D

tcyung
10th Mar 2012, 00:15
Anyone got stage 2 interview in March ??

Sp0r3
10th Mar 2012, 00:58
@yatsuki:
I'm not surprised considering the amount of applications they receive everyday. I applied for an interview in Hong Kong, and they called back 3 months after. I would expect oversea applicants to take longer.

yatsuki
10th Mar 2012, 02:29
@Sp0r3

Yeah, I think they recieved tons of applications everyday, poor applications screening staff orz

I also put HK as my primary interview location since I think it would be faster to get contact from them:cool: After reading your post, I would expect about 3 months or so

So what stage are you up to now?

smurf84
10th Mar 2012, 06:21
Haha. Right on.

I came across Cpt. Underpant's post on Page 158 outlining the entire "loan" structure.

Now what if, and God forbid, the pilot fails during his grading/checks - does he/she owe CX such a staggering amount?

Clish
10th Mar 2012, 10:11
So has anyone found out anything about the new "aviation math" as opposed to the old 33 questions 30 mins math?

smurf84
10th Mar 2012, 17:07
Clish -

I don't think there will ever be an answer to your question. Neither has it been answered in the past, if I'm not mistaken, considering I've gone through the 190 odd pages of this thread at a brisk pace.

Cpt. Underpants
10th Mar 2012, 20:39
Smurf

Out of curiosity, I've tried to find out but no one seems to know as its yet to happen (to an iCadet).

Cathay will endevour to get every S/O in the system through the training, using its considerable resources as they need bums in seats.

Deliberately failing (in order to escape the contract) would undoubtedly be vigorously pursued.

In the unlikely event that someone fails miserably to meet the standard (which have dropped considerably over the years, fwiw) I'm certain the financial side will be dealt with in typical CX (admin) fashion, with threats and intimidation, testing (and breaking) the limits of the law in a somewhat reactionary fashion until some sort of statutory boundary is enforced by an external agency.

This will be followed by an enforced amendment by CX (in a draconian manner, of course) to all icadets contracts to cover themselves. It's how they work. 100% reactionary.

In the past, LEPs (the acronym for our local - Chinese - cadet scheme) who failed, simply left. Some left flying entirely, some went to the CAD, some to GFS, others to other airlines in HKG...without having to reimburse CX. As far as know, CX never attempted to recover the cost of training as there was no bond.

That was before some "genius" thought up this forgivable loan idea. As you've been "loaned" the money, both from a contractual perspective and as far as the IRD are concerned (they are taxing the entire amount of the loan - in one lump, btw) I would imagine that CX have some sort of legal right to attempt recovery of the dough. Whether they actually succeed is the question. Time will tell.

Nice guys they are not. Caveat emptor.

boxerpilot
10th Mar 2012, 23:52
could u please elaborate how standards have dropped? entry requirements you mean or eventual line flying SOs are of lower standards?

smurf84
11th Mar 2012, 06:39
By standards I assume Underpants was referring to the recruitment process, entry requirements and some of the line flying SOs (not all, mind you).

If you have read 200 pages of this thread, you would learn that the pilots from the subcontinent have come under a barrage of criticism from the skippers/FOs (mainly the Poms/Yanks/Aussies) presently working with CX Needless to say, there are instances (associated with airlines in India) which provide substantial proof to their theories. However, there may be many rotten eggs. But not all are.

During my training for a PPL in a flight school down under, before I got my first solo, I came across a Grade 2 flying instructor (No, he wasn't from the subcontinent) and I asked him the course of action that should be taken when the static source failed (in a C152 that had no alternate static source). He didn't know what to say and conveniently walked away. Now, that's just one of them. Not all. Today, he would definitely want to get into Cathay's SO programme (maybe he is in it already), and if I ever saw him, I wouldn't judge him based on that question that got him knocked out 2 years ago.

Many of you would right away put your bet on blokes from the subcontinent when it comes to low standards. But I wouldn't generalize this case with all Indian pilots. Here's the bitter truth - There are nearly 6000 commercial pilots with 200+ hours unemployed in India at the moment. I repeat, 'many' of them took it up just for the money and lifestyle overpowering their passion for flying which would directly affect their basic knowledge. Maybe two-thirds of them (including myself) were trained in UK, Australia, New Zealand, USA, South Africa and Canada. There isn't much of GA happening in India. Not too many flight schools either. Unfortunately, I assume only a third of that alarming figure of 6000 would be employed with the airlines in the next 10-15 years. The rest would take up other jobs/businesses and move on. But these are desperate times for Indian pilots, and I agree not every one of us would fit the bill. I'd be a moron if I said we wouldn't take any opportunity that comes our way.

Cathay Pacific came to India (owing to the huge number of applications received) this year for the first time. According to reports, 77 qualified pilots were called for the advanced entry initial interview. Now these 77 pilots have to go through the same selection process as is conducted for pilots in the UK, USA, Australia, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand. There are some who fail and some who pass. The pilots who passed must have definitely met the standards set by Cathay Pacific (whether the standards of recruitment have gone down or not is not our headache). But the road doesn't end there. We still have to pass the written test and final interview. Wait, there's still flight grading and more checks (again, whether CX is not too strict about it is not our headache).

Cpt. Underpants and others on the same boat, with all due respect, I understand your frustration on Cathay's recruitment drive in the subcontinent and our pilots falling prey to the hidden terms and conditions of the airline (looting taxes, poor housing allowance, low salaries) which I assume would affect you. Yes, I've done a bit of reading on John Warham's 49ers. Maybe you and another 48 skippers/officers should take up this issue with the management. We have no fallback option but to apply for the Second Officer programme with some of the airlines. As for Cathay Pacific, we may not pass the test. But we are certainly hardworking and we will try again to earn that position. For the love of God, don't write us off. This is a learning curve and we get to learn from you. I'm sure you followed it too with years of training and on-the-job experience. Many of us are as good as some of the junior-level pilots from other countries. Neither is India's safety record as bad as you think it is compared to other parts of the world. I'm not making a mockery of my opinion, but there maybe a few hiccups. Hiccups that can be dealt with.

I reckon this has been discussed before, but I hope I haven't taken my views to another level which would result in an air of animosity towards each other.

Cpt. Underpants
11th Mar 2012, 07:54
boxer

I mean just that: I'm flying with S/O's and F/O's who even 10 years ago, would not have met the standard (then) and certainly would not have remained employed by CX. Read a thread on FH about a current Airbus S/O as an example.

boxerpilot
11th Mar 2012, 08:39
Yeah. I read that post on the SO that seemed to have gone through the cracks. That is indeed shocking considering the nature of the interviews and flight grading processes. Sim assessments and base checks too. But I believe it's also what used to be a very small pool of pilots in the old days required for a very exclusive job, airline expansion has resulted in having to fill seats in cockpits. Ad opposed to getting above average, it slants towards meeting 'minimum standards' with potential to make captain. That's subjective for obvious reasons. Somethings gotta give.

hijack
11th Mar 2012, 08:53
Hi there,

Can anyone give me any leads for the Interview for CX Transition Training program?

PM me... plz..

Hijack.

Clish
11th Mar 2012, 12:40
I don't think there will ever be an answer to your question. Neither has it been answered in the past, if I'm not mistaken, considering I've gone through the 190 odd pages of this thread at a brisk pace.

i think the math change was a relatively recent event. like... within a year? i read the rest of the thread too.. "aviation math" only came up maybe within the last 20 pages or so. Prior to that everyone was still referring to the 30mins 33question "unfinishable" math test

ixg888
11th Mar 2012, 12:51
What kind of math was asked in that unfinishable 33 ques exams.. Av math are just mostly conversions, estimates and measurements.

Clish
11th Mar 2012, 14:33
What kind of math was asked in that unfinishable 33 ques exams.. Av math are just mostly conversions, estimates and measurements.
I dont think anyone actually said what type of math it was.. but simply saying that "if you know how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide" you will be fine. they say it is unfinishable because the questions are so long that you can possible read and finish them all within the time limit.

When you say AV math is just mostly conversion, estimates, and measurements.... are you talking about the cx test or what you know as AV math?

ixg888
11th Mar 2012, 15:10
Im talking about av math. Anyways, if there will be any changes in the math exam considering our experience, will and shall be tolerable. I bet there wouldn't be any sin and cos in that exam.

Good luck in you exam and interview and hoping for you to update us what is in it for us the math exam and the whole process of the application.

Cheers!

Xcel
12th Mar 2012, 09:21
The Maths test is finishable...

A few 866x432+32/0.02

99x9.9x0.99

1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 x0.5

If you travel 160km South 120km east how many km home

If you travel 060 for 180km then 120 for 160km what heading home

You need to clear an obstacle 10nm away by 1000' that is 5000' high - what's the gradient?

On 3degree slope at 5nm what height

That's about the jist of the transition type questions... Maybe others can fill in gaps. I finished and had time to go back over it... But I left 3 questions I didn't know how to do them short. Practice fractions... Moving decimals... 1in60 shorthand pythagoras... Gradients etc. I wasn't confident I got the right answers, but I would of been there or thereabouts... I think that's the key. Your only required to be within 10% so don't be shy on rounding.

Clish
12th Mar 2012, 11:07
Whoa that seems much harder than the old one. Do u have hours?

crwjerk
12th Mar 2012, 11:26
Thank God (sic) my S/O can answer those q's for me.

Clish
12th Mar 2012, 13:14
Wait. Is it still mc

tcyung
12th Mar 2012, 14:31
I don't think it's MC anymore...

Clish
13th Mar 2012, 15:00
since there was a change in the math test... this begs the questions... is there a change for the aptitude tests as well?

AsL402
13th Mar 2012, 17:56
Been disconnected from this thread for some time. Just got a invitation for the Initial Interview in the beginning of April. Seems like they changed the format quite a bit from the Stage 1, 2, 3, etc.

- Interview with both Personal and Technical Questions (45mins)
- Technical multiple-choice Questionnaire (45mins)
- Abstract Reasoning Test (45mins)
- Personality Test (30 mins)

Quite different from what I went through back in 2010 from Stage 1 & 2. Seems more direct in a way?

I submitted my application in January 2012, didn't expect to get a reply so soon :eek:

I also have KA Initial Interviews coming up next month. This will be fun!

Little background about myself: This is my second time applying. First time in 2010 with 0 hours. Just got my PPL few months ago so I decided to try for the CPP again. HKID holder but currently residing in US.

captain.weird
13th Mar 2012, 17:59
So you have to be an HKID holder?

lucky86
14th Mar 2012, 02:21
AsL402,
Good luck with the interview!
Just a quick question, your interview with CX is in the US? Or HK?
I live in Australia (with HKID) and I'm not that keen on funding myself to HK for initial interivew (hence, I'm not bothering with KA).

Look forward to your reply..

ocanadaperfect
14th Mar 2012, 02:48
congratz ASL402! gotta say getting an invitation 2 months after submitting app. is pretty impressive...Just a quick question, did you get an invitation to stage 1 interview two years ago when you had zero hours? and where's your initial interview in april?

AsL402
14th Mar 2012, 04:19
thanks ocanadaperfect! yeah i was pretty surprised to see that they invited me so soon, thinking it will take 6 - 12 months before i hear from them since it's my second time applying.

Yes, I was invited to Stage 1 with 0 hours.

The interview is in HK, I choose HK as my first preference.

ixg888
14th Mar 2012, 04:37
congrats mate!... do well.

AsL402
14th Mar 2012, 18:37
AsL402,
Good luck with the interview!
Just a quick question, your interview with CX is in the US? Or HK?
I live in Australia (with HKID) and I'm not that keen on funding myself to HK for initial interivew (hence, I'm not bothering with KA).

Look forward to your reply..

lucky86,

Thanks! The interview will be in HK. CX is not paying for my accommodation or air tickets as well for the Initial Interview nor did they do so during my Stage 1 two years ago.

But KA did do some interviews in Melbourne few weeks ago according to their site.

I guess it does show how much you want to get in if you fly back on your own expenses. If you really want to get in, you would do anything to do so right?

ASH1111
15th Mar 2012, 04:14
These iCadets are unreal. 5 years from now, I hope you revisit this thread, and see what we see.

Don't take toooo long on that bathroom break RQ.

Rudder check!:}

yatsuki
15th Mar 2012, 19:34
Hi guys,

I'm now preparing for the interview(in advanced), cuz I didn't even receive email from them for inviting me to the intial interview(no rejection too, thank god!) But I want to get myself ready anytime when they do:) I have zero experience with flying and some basic knowledge about aviation but I dream to become a pilot since I was 17.

Back to the point, as for getting more knowledge about aviation, I want to do some readings and gaming(?). So I'm going to order
Handling the Big Jets, Flying the Big Jets, Mental Math for Pilot, Preparing your CX interview: The Pilot's Guide 11th edition, also FSX

But before I order these, I want to seek more opinions from others.
Do these resources appropriate for me in terms of my experience?
Any other books recommend?

Any advices and comments are welcomed!

PS: I'm definitely want to learn more because I know they will ask you questions above your level of knowledge. In order to impress them is that we can answer those questions confidently to show them the enthusaism about this job and how serious we treat the interview. That's my belief :ok:

JPJP
15th Mar 2012, 20:55
OMFG

added to reach 10 characters

orangeboy
15th Mar 2012, 22:48
Yatsuki, the books you mentioned are good, but there are better books out there if you're just starting out - visit a flying school and see what books they use for teaching their students - these will be much more relevant. The FAA has a pretty decent book you can download from their site for free.

As for buying flight FX, personally, i reackon you should save the money and put it towards a trial flight or some lessons.

Goodluck.

yatsuki
15th Mar 2012, 23:36
@average-punter

You're absolutely right and you're not the first person who asked me this question:). All of them adviced me to go take some flying lessons (at least a trial flight) and I believe I could figure out the answer by the time. Thanks for bringing up this question, this question will be critical during the interview when it comes.

orangeboy

Thanks for your advice and as I mentioned above, yeah I'm going to take flying lessons during the whole waiting time. I believe it would be fun!:ok: And it will definitely give me a whole different degree to look at flying.

404 Titan
16th Mar 2012, 01:10
yatsuki

Do you have the right to live and work in Hong Kong? Do you have a Hong Kong ID card? If your answer is no you are wasting your time applying to CX. Unless you qualify for the Advanced Entry Cadet Scheme, i.e. ≥250 hours you are sh*t out of luck I’m afraid. The Hong Kong Immigration Department has told CX no more work permits will be granted for international applicants who don’t meet this requirement.

If you do have a Hong Kong ID card you had better have a very very good reason why you haven’t done any flying lessons to date. I have heard all the excuses before, i.e. no money etc but for someone who lives in the USA, that won’t cut it. If you have a true passion for this industry you would’ve made it happen by now, no matter what the barriers.

yatsuki
16th Mar 2012, 06:09
I dreamed about it when I was 17. People started picking up on this particular sentence. I think so many kids will dream about becoming such and such in the future, so do I. And when he/she is getting mature, he/she might recollect it and set a goal to achieve it, what's the problem with this?

Thanks for opinions though. They really helped me and motivated me.:ok:
Especially 404-Titan,average-punter, and orangeboy:)

@ 404-Titan

Yes, I do have a HKID. And yes, I see your point. For myself, I hate finding myself excuses which don't help anything at all. I'm doing what I can do, trying my very best to gear myself up even though this time I'm going to fail, so what? at least I gain the experience. If I really fail this time, I will give it another try, by then I will have my own flying experiences. It's not really the end of the world for me and I treat it as my big first step. I'm going to start flying lessons next week and I will achieve what I do no matter how.
I dream about it when I was 17 and now to achieve it when I am 25.

Thanks for the true saying from heart. It really helps.

@Dan Buster

For you, Dan Buster. Hmmm... I would say thanks too. However, your quote is kind of meaningless to me. By making fun of what others are serious about, this is not looking good for yourself. Learning respect is pretty basic in life, so go learn it, I don't believe anything is too late. :ok: Good luck with it!

AppleMach
16th Mar 2012, 14:57
And this maths test has to be done without a calculator / wizz wheel for the angles?

yatsuki
16th Mar 2012, 19:56
@AppleMach

Calculator is not allowed during the math test but paper and pen will be given.

boxerpilot
17th Mar 2012, 00:00
It's great to set goals and I totally support anyone chasing their dreams. However I do have to agree with the message Dan Buster is putting across, albeit brutal. Many of the guys came from the school of hard knocks and worked themselves to where they are through the hard way. That in itself garners respect. What it does mean to you yatsuki is that CX places a lot of emphasis on the ICAO english tests. Despite how well one has been educated in English and being grammatically correct, I have heard and spoken to guys who couldn't believe they couldn't clear the test.
It is the fact that language skills and the ability to comprehend the nuances in conversations within the cockpit can make a difference to the quality of that crew. There will always be a disparity between native English speakers and those who are not.
It is a pity to prepare and raise your hopes high and get bumped from the interview only because of an English test which EVERYONE is capable of improving with effort and time.
So take it in the spirit for what it is and when you do get in, it's because you left no stone unturned and listen to the messages put across by the guys whom you may be working with. They will not accept anything less.

takamasa
17th Mar 2012, 18:21
i submitted my application in oct,2011 , probably going for AE course with 900 hrs, IFR.

just wondering if anyone has any invitations so far who submitted roughly the same time as me?

thanks a lot guys!

PPRuNeUser0163
18th Mar 2012, 05:35
When were the JBG interviews?

I assume in early march?

PPRuNeUser0163
18th Mar 2012, 06:14
right, fair enough.

Makes sense then that they are pairing up the two locations for stage 2 successful applicants to then participate together in HKG.

Interesting 4-5 days in JBG vs 9-10 in Mumbai...

anyone know the upcoming schedule?

lucky86
18th Mar 2012, 08:54
Hi nkand,

I want to know this year's international interview schedule as well (I reside in Adelaide). I've sent an email to CX a few days ago, hopefully they will reply with something...
But I have a feeling they don't give it out that easily...

dolpinsky
18th Mar 2012, 09:19
anyone going to attend the first interview in melbourne at 3/28 ?
damn need to buy and ticket from adelaide to melbourne
almost 200 bucks :{
and that's little bit weird cause they just asked me to attend the interview...
didn't mention any tests...

ckalli
18th Mar 2012, 10:27
Correction-
8 days, for sure, in BOM and 5 days, to my knowledge, in JNB.

thats not correct either.. BOM was 16th feb to 29th feb. morning and afternoon sessions (6 per session)

Sp0r3
18th Mar 2012, 10:29
@dolpinsky
Did you receive any confirmation email from CX recruitment? If so, the initial interview should include some form of tests.

SW1
18th Mar 2012, 11:22
PM me for the reasoning tests..

lucky86
18th Mar 2012, 11:31
Hey dolpinsky,

Looks like you're in the same sitaution as me! Reside in Adelaide and apply for CX?

You have HKID? You applying with 0 flight hours? Or you have hours under your belt already? And when did you submit your online application?

Thanks mate, look forward to your reply!

ckalli
18th Mar 2012, 15:24
sunny singh, cx

jackcarls0n
19th Mar 2012, 09:22
anyone up for interview in SG in april?

ixg888
19th Mar 2012, 09:38
dude do u have email?

ema380
19th Mar 2012, 12:54
Hey, I would like to ask for any specific reading material that would be handy to prepare for the ab-initio programme.
I've read almost all of the pages on this forum and noticed that most of the people posting about their experiences were applying for the AE and quite a few of the posts relating to the ab-initio programme were a few years ago so wanted to see if there were any new updates.
I've seen two books - 'mental math for pilots' and 'pilots rule of thumb'
Does anyone know which would provide better information/help and if there are any others relating specifically to aviation knowledge?

Thanks!

NicolajN
19th Mar 2012, 13:52
Hi guys!

I have applied for AE at Cathay Pacific. I have completed the initial interview and was in Hong kong i february and completed day 1 and 2. I am waiting for the result now.

However i have heard some rumors about a flight test in Adelaide. Can anyone tell me about that. Will you have to do a flight test in Adelaide before i get the final answer or what? :)

Of course i will do the flight test in adelaide but i haven't heard about it before

Thanks

ixg888
19th Mar 2012, 14:46
hi ema.. jepp private pilot is a good start. try as well FAA PHAK - its in their website for free download. If you have ipad try MS Aviation Private Pilot press Library they have good materials there.

cheers! good luck in your venture in flying!

ema380
20th Mar 2012, 06:23
I've been working my way through the FAA PHAK for a while - its very good! And I hadn't heard of any of the Jeppesen materials but just had a look on their site, looks really good!

Thanks for the info + support!

Sp0r3
20th Mar 2012, 10:48
@Bond
When is ur stage 2 interview?

eagledream
20th Mar 2012, 12:06
is anyone going for stage 2 next week?

jackcarls0n
20th Mar 2012, 13:12
got an email from SS on 14/03 requesting acceptance for interview on 27/04.emailed him back but havnt heard from him yet. anyone who got selected for the AE's interview in SG on 27/04?

The email says they will inform no later than the 20/03.

Any suggestions?

tcyung
20th Mar 2012, 13:24
Eagledream:
I have stage 2 on the 27th, whens yours?

jackcarls0n
20th Mar 2012, 15:09
I was invited initial interview guess that is stage 1 in SG and was told they will send additional information soon after I accept the request.

So was wondering if any one got the same invitation yet. or got a confirmation for that yet.

jackcarls0n
20th Mar 2012, 15:12
@tcyung

Is that in SG or HK? and 27th of april is it?

good luck tcyung

eagledream
20th Mar 2012, 19:02
tcyung:

I have it on the 28th.. someone I know also has it on the 27th.. goodluck and will probably meet you in HK

hijack
21st Mar 2012, 11:48
You on AE or TT?

hijack
21st Mar 2012, 11:49
Can you tell me more?

liugorgor
21st Mar 2012, 14:04
How many AE guys were there at the same flight grading?

jackcarls0n
21st Mar 2012, 15:51
Entire AE group rejected :\

anyway i am up for my initial AE interview ..just got the confirmation today from CX. to be held in SG on 27th.

Looking forward to it...

tcyung
21st Mar 2012, 16:41
Eagledream:
Good luck to you... Hope to see you around ... Btw , whats your back ground? Are you going for the AE?

ckalli
21st Mar 2012, 18:21
hey..

just went through 160 of the 200 odd pages of this thread.
i have one question. couldnt seem to find the answer anywhere else.

according to the posts in this thread, u will be a SO for 4 years(or more..with terrible living conditions etc etc etc.. heard enough about that)
now coming to my question: does this 4 yr SO to JFO apply to the icadets?
or to everyone joining cathay?

what about the advanced entry SO's. during my interview i asked them this very question and they said 3-4 Months ..(MONTHS)
but after reading this thread i seem to have misunderstood. either they didn't understand my question, or i didn't understand their answer.

under the new recruitment scheme, how long would someone be a SO?

also.. why does it take 4 years to get promoted? its not like a second officer does much, or the job is very challenging.. so why 4 years? am i missing something ( i must be!)

constructive criticism is very much appreciated!
thanks.

flynhigh
22nd Mar 2012, 02:22
Email them and ask them again in black and while...and if they said YES only 3 to 4 MONTHS to move to JFO...:= than ask them to add that to your T&C before you sign....Than see what they say...:eek:

Amazing

eco_extreme
22nd Mar 2012, 02:53
Hi aviators,

This forum helped me a lot and I haven't said much in the past. I want to provide a one-stop support for wannabes.

I typed up my own blog:
http://cadetpilotwannabe.********.com/

I finished the CX process in details. I will also write up on KA later.

I will keep working on it.

All the best to you all!

Cheers/ Eco

eco_extreme
22nd Mar 2012, 02:54
It's blog spot... don't know why it is censored...:ugh:

Stallone
22nd Mar 2012, 07:00
Hi aviators,

This forum helped me a lot and I haven't said much in the past. I want to provide a one-stop support for wannabes.

I typed up my own blog:
http://cadetpilotwannabe.********.com/

I finished the CX process in details. I will also write up on KA later.

I will keep working on it.

All the best to you all!

Cheers/ Eco

http://www.solarfeeds.com/wp-content/uploads/like-button-wide.jpg

jackcarls0n
22nd Mar 2012, 15:46
Simple and informative..good blog eco-extreme :ok:

ashokbhatt1
22nd Mar 2012, 17:22
not able to read his blog showing google chrome error can anyone please help.
eco stream blog

Spitfire88
22nd Mar 2012, 17:59
@chakli
what about the advanced entry SO's. during my interview i asked them this very question and they said 3-4 Months ..(MONTHS)
but after reading this thread i seem to have misunderstood. either they didn't understand my question, or i didn't understand their answer.

Upgrade time: 3-5 years depending on company expansion plan

crwjerk
23rd Mar 2012, 10:04
does this 4 yr SO to JFO apply to the icadets?
or to everyone joining cathay?

Everybody joining Caffay now is an "Cadet", AE or not. The time to upgrade will be the same, if you can keep up high standards during your S/O time.
Soon they will be hiring DEFO's. Maybe even DEC's. Your upgrade may even take longer than the advertised 4 years due to you being bypassed so early on in your career.

jackcarls0n
23rd Mar 2012, 12:32
What happens after ur flight grading gets rejected? Back to square one?

Just curious...doesn't seem so easy for the mates joining as SO as a lotta guys said out here..

Stallone
24th Mar 2012, 09:05
The end after you get rejected

what were you expecting?

jackcarls0n
24th Mar 2012, 14:43
I didn't know the process thats all. So no second tries etc.

Tough luck.

plainpilot11
25th Mar 2012, 12:27
Just learning more about the process and wanted to pass along some new info that I found out recently as I've been looking into more.

The "local pilot's" that they are now employing will not be assisted with any housing deposit. This is usually 2 months rent plus first months rent. If you are looking at a place that is say 15,000, that will come up to a bill of 45,000. And after not working for over 3 months (for the short-coursers in Adelaide who have been used to a paycheck) or the AE/CP long coursers who haven't had a job in 6-14 months, it will be a tough assignment to save anything up to get your hands on some decent housing. I guess under the "ex-pat pilot" scheme, that assistance was provided by Cathay to the new hires. It isn't anymore.

Just thought you all should have some more current info to help you make the decision to go for it, or not to go for it and wait till things change a bit.

ixg888
25th Mar 2012, 14:37
It is really getting made up advatageous to hk residents.. Time to really reconsider joining..:yuk:

kitcanfly
26th Mar 2012, 02:37
i got the reject letter from CX last week,
i haven't got any interviews after my application til now,

does anyone have this situation?
pls share with me

thx

Sp0r3
26th Mar 2012, 02:49
@kitcanfly
Did you receive invitation to any of the stages? Or were you rejected after your online applications? Are you a HK resident? Do you hold any license/hours?

kitcanfly
26th Mar 2012, 02:53
i was rejected after my online applications, no any tests or interviews

i am a HK resident with 0 flying hr

ixg888
26th Mar 2012, 04:37
Way back 2006 my online apps got rejected too.. :*

captain.weird
26th Mar 2012, 07:28
When did you sent your application?

kitcanfly
26th Mar 2012, 12:04
3 months ago

pilotnickng
26th Mar 2012, 16:24
Hey Guys
I m new here
I have been reading this thread for a few days
is it true that the time period for getting into the interview after sending the online application form is 6-8 months??
I sent my application in August last year and still haven't heard from them, or even a rejection letter!!!!!!
Will I have the chance of getting into the interview after one year??
I m a HK resident with no flying hour!!!!!
Cheers:)

Agatha June
27th Mar 2012, 01:40
Anyone starting CP51 this April?

Sp0r3
27th Mar 2012, 05:01
@Agatha June
I thought CP51 is in May...

astronetster
27th Mar 2012, 09:36
I just applied through online yesterday. I live in Singapore but I don't hold citizenship. I am Myanmar citizen and I have been wondering if they would even consider a Myanmar national?

Is there anyone from Singapore being selected? How fast was their response?:rolleyes:

ashokbhatt1
27th Mar 2012, 10:45
had my first stage in feb got result that i cleared stage 1 a week back but no specific dates for stage 2 yet, called them today they said might be in june/july long wait for that.

had any of you guys have to wait for more than 4 months between stage 1 and 2 ????

reply would be great help

ArmstrongLimit
27th Mar 2012, 15:19
@ ashokbhatt1
I think the wait time between the stage 1&2 depends on many factors and can vary greatly. As for myself my stage 1 was conducted July of last year, stage 2 scheduled for this April almost 9 months. :ugh:

Cheers!
-Lance

astronetster
27th Mar 2012, 15:31
Do a lot of ppl who applied for CX SO get a call from cathay? i had been following the thread and found out that as for some, it was short, and some were long.

I mean what are the chances if I reside in SG? My first preference place for interview is in SG.

How many of you guys from SG got a call from Cathay in what time of waiting?

Thanks

astronetster
27th Mar 2012, 15:42
Guys,

What are the chances of being called for interview if i resided in SG?

And do most people receive a call for interview or many were just ignored?

smurf84
27th Mar 2012, 15:53
Gee, 9 months? Hope you nail it. Good luck.

Going by what ashokbhatt said, I don't think a waiting period of 3 months would be a problem, that is if CX decides to conduct the Stage 2 interviews for us in June.

Sp0r3
28th Mar 2012, 02:30
Anyone here been invited to Stage 2 on April 25?

Agatha June
28th Mar 2012, 06:11
@Sp0r3

CP51 starts on 16 April. Good luck for your Stage 2!!

jslade
28th Mar 2012, 09:27
Anybody had any feedback from Round 1 interviews - March, JHB?

ace20110627
29th Mar 2012, 03:36
Anyone doing stage 2 on 7 May?

r3dr0cket
29th Mar 2012, 08:21
Hey everybody, first post here, just received word last week for my first interview on April 20th, was wondering if anybody is going to be there on that date?

lucky86
29th Mar 2012, 12:40
Hey all,

Good news, got a reply from CX, interview in Sydney in mid april.

I am located in Adelaide, and applied in jan 2012

In other words, got initial contact after 4 months, must say its pretty good.

Wish me luck!

ace20110627
29th Mar 2012, 14:06
Hi Bond737,

I did my stage 1 on 21 Feb in Hong Kong. Was told that I got through on 27 Feb but wasn't scheduled a stage 2 interview till 22 Mar as they got mixed up.

Cessna414CC
30th Mar 2012, 03:57
Nicely done. How many hours do you have?

ace20110627
30th Mar 2012, 06:13
Thanks Bond737!

Cessna414CC: I'm a local with about 5 hours and no aviation bg.

NicolajN
30th Mar 2012, 21:38
Hi,

I have just been invited to CX AE flight grading in ADL.

If any of you guys have any information about ti, could you please send me a PM with some advice, information etc.?

/N

keigorjai
30th Mar 2012, 23:07
I just received the invitation last week. I have been waiting for more than 8 months after I submitted my application. So, don't give up, guys. Sometimes, things just keep you waiting.

flyber
31st Mar 2012, 06:51
Anybody with an idea if Cx provides tickets to hong kong for stage 3 Icao English retest?

smurf84
31st Mar 2012, 07:36
flyber - I really don't think Cathay would provide you tickets for the English retest.

lipoho
31st Mar 2012, 08:18
Did anyone finish the stage 1 JKI test?
Can someone send me a copy of JKI booklet?

Thanks

[email protected]

smurf84
31st Mar 2012, 12:07
lipoho, is this what you're looking for?

http://www.cockpitseeker.com/wp-content/uploads/JKI%20Booklet%2010%20April%202008.pdf

lipoho
31st Mar 2012, 19:30
Thank you so much for all the helping.

I google the same PDF file. However, is it going to be the same extract booklet of Cathay going to sent us?

Because I am wondering this is already 2000 which is about 12 years ago.

Thanks
Jeffrey

anakin.skytracker
1st Apr 2012, 08:36
lipoho,

Quote:
However, is it going to be the same extract booklet of Cathay going to sent us?
I read somewhere on this thread that CX no longer sends out the JKI booklet.
Double check on that.

So you might as well use the older version...

They only send the pdf file nowadays. Cheers~

anakin.skytracker
1st Apr 2012, 08:40
lipoho,
Because I am wondering this is already 2000 which is about 12 years ago.

Yes... same old books~ :ok:

igodream
2nd Apr 2012, 09:27
Bond737,smurf84 and ashokbhatt
Are u guys from india who hve been selected for d stage2???? If yes dn nebdy frm del???

smurf84
2nd Apr 2012, 09:34
With regard to Cathay's recruitment drive in India, please post your message on this thread.

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/476610-cathay-pacific-second-officer-advanced-entry-initial-interview-8.html

P.S. - I'm not from Delhi. Beware of TXT SPK.

imran_x66
3rd Apr 2012, 11:14
Hey guys, I recently read in PPRuNe forums that cathay stopped recruiting iCP with less than 250 hours. But I was still managed to apply with 0 hours.
It does not mention anything about the issue on their website.
Is Cathay still accepting international cadets for ab-initio training?

Clish
3rd Apr 2012, 12:05
if you don't have an HKID then it won't matter if you pass everything cause HK dept won't let you work

ademaro
3rd Apr 2012, 22:26
anyone going for the interview on the 27th in Singapore?

Aviator265
4th Apr 2012, 08:00
Hi mate ! Congrats,
I am happy for you that u been called for the interview,
I guess ur flying for Cathay right now, as it has been quite long time since this post.
Can you please send me that JKI BOOKLET , and any other useful info or material

Thanks for you help regarding CPP
Have a good one mate !:)

Aviator265
4th Apr 2012, 08:04
[email protected]

lucky86
4th Apr 2012, 10:12
Sydney, 16th April, initial interview.

Anyone else here?

imran_x66
4th Apr 2012, 15:19
Congrats!

When did you submit your application?
Did you apply for iCP with 250 hours?

Jett77
4th Apr 2012, 16:21
I did my initial interview last Tuesday, 3rd of April. All applicants who were there had less than 250 hrs except 1 (no it's not me). The closest person had 120 hrs but still only had PPL. So, they do still accept applicants with less than 250. Also, it would not hurt if you go and READ their website. They WILL ask you things like "Where will you be doing your training? How long will it take? What aircrafts will you be flying? What course will you be taking over there? Will you be doing any SIM there in Adelaide?" Which are ALL in there. *below*

Cathay Pacific - Careers : Careers Home (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_HK/careers/flying/fdc_so_programmes)

best of luck to all applicants!:E

Cessna414CC
4th Apr 2012, 17:56
This was a stage 1 interview and your sure they were not HKID holders?

Jett77
5th Apr 2012, 05:00
HK ID holders? I never mentioned anything about the ID holders. I just indicated that we all had less than 250 hrs except one.

As for your statment, we ALL had HK ID. If that's the point you were trying to get at.:ok: I have noticed thought that in the "requirements" they did not mention "must have HK permanent ID", which might be the reason why a lot are asking.

XLAN
5th Apr 2012, 17:08
Actually they have added in the programme description for the 61-week long programme -

"Preferences for this programme will be given to HKID holders".

This is because pilot with less than 250 hrs are regarded as "unskilled labours" and the immigration department won't give them visa.

But not sure whether they will still be interviewed.

SMOC
6th Apr 2012, 07:28
http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour/481854-young-adelaide-instructors-win-against-cx.html

How many hours do most of the TT guys have? They must have more experience than 3yrs instructing and when is a TTs date of joining to get on the seniority list?

MidRange
10th Apr 2012, 12:28
Anybody got an invitation for may 10th in Amsterdam?

Pm me please

captain.weird
10th Apr 2012, 13:14
@MidRange, are you TT or AE?

jackcarls0n
10th Apr 2012, 15:34
@ ademaro

I am off to SG for 27th Initial for AE

rodrigues
11th Apr 2012, 02:11
Having completed my Stage 1 assessment a few days ago, I'm left feeling a bit empty as to how I went! For those who have completed Stage 1, did you complete the Technical exam? The Abstract reasoning (ravens matrices) exam? Were you successful in progressing through to Stage 2?

I feel the interview went as well as it could of, I couldn't be happier with that aspect. Felt a bit challenged with the Abstract reasoning, and was unable to complete most of the last column (2nd booklet).

Likewise with the Technical exam, there were a few questions (particuarly IFR & ATPL types, seeing I have neither), which caused me some problems, and again was unable to finish the paper.

I'm hoping that they look at my performance and are able to regard my potential, given my relatively low experience level.

smurf84
11th Apr 2012, 04:04
My personal experience during the Stage 1 interview -

Technical exam - It was a breeze.
Abstract Reasoning - Put me to the test and I screwed it up towards the end.
Technical and HR interview - I think I did pretty well.

Result : I cleared Stage 1.

I'm sure you'll get through. I went to the interview with just 260 hours. If you've never undergone IFR training, that particular ILS numerical (if you received the same booklet as I did) would certainly put you in a pickle. I can't recall any questions from the ATPL category.

Hang in there and be confident. Good luck buddy.

CathayPacificDreamer
12th Apr 2012, 01:49
I am currently a student in grade 11 at Aviation High in Queensland, Brisbane and I am making plans on taking either a Bachelor degree of Aviation in Swinburne university OR go training in FTA (Flight Training Adelaide) which gives a Cert IV in piloting and up to ATPL and/or type rating training as i presume.. they both have connections with Cathay Pacific and i want to know which is better. :ugh:

CathayPacificDreamer
12th Apr 2012, 04:01
thank you very much, would you happen to have any advice for the flight training in Swinburne though? and what i can do to come across the costs?

lucky86
12th Apr 2012, 05:13
Anyone here been to a CX interview with zero flight experience?

I want to know how much technical knowledge they are expecting you know.

My initial interview is on Monday, getting quite worried because there is really a lot of stuff to learn and remember...

Thanks.

Cessna414CC
12th Apr 2012, 23:20
Lucky86, are you a HKID holder living in Australia?

lucky86
12th Apr 2012, 23:31
Hi Cessna414CC,

Yeah, I'm a HKID holder and I reside in Adelaide.

I'll be flying over to Sydney on Saturday night for the interview on Monday.

Hi localcadetflyer,

Thank you for your questions, I will try my very best in completing them in the short time frame I have left. :(

Do you really think this is what's expected with applicants with 0 flying hours?

Regards,
lucky86

seneca208
13th Apr 2012, 00:58
as far as History goes, how often does Cathay interview in Australia?

Stallone
13th Apr 2012, 01:19
2011's schedule:

January - Hong Kong, Vancouver, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur
February - Hong Kong, London
March - Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Paris
April - Hong Kong, San Francisco
May - Hong Kong, Sydney, Vancouver
June - Hong Kong, London
July - Hong Kong, Brisbane
August - Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Johannesburg, Melbourne
September - Hong Kong, London
October - Hong Kong, Vancouver
November - Hong Kong, Adelaide
December - Hong Kong, Auckland

orangeboy
13th Apr 2012, 07:23
lucky86, when i did my stage 1 in late 2010, i had pretty much next to 0 hours, the standard of questions were upto to a BAK level.

It would be great if you knew the answers to those questions posted earlier - but they are really more of a CPL/ATPL type question.

Concentrate on getting the basics right first, then move on.

Goodluck.

TRKDCTBEKOL
13th Apr 2012, 13:32
Hi,

I had my first stage (for ab-initio) last week. Of all candidates, only I was lucky enough to be interviewed by a pilot and an HR. Just got called for the next stage - ICAO english test.

So everyone going through, do expect a pilot for technical questions in the first stage and be prepared!!

Good luck!

tchanhk
13th Apr 2012, 15:30
just want to get some view on what people do who are on similar boats as me

steady job after graduate

what active steps can you take to fulfilling your dream of becoming a airline pilot? other than splash out 6 or 7k on a ppl

p.s i am saving up for one but just want to see what other people do...

Clish
13th Apr 2012, 15:39
6 - 7k .. what currency are you talking about?

tchanhk
13th Apr 2012, 16:07
im currently working in uk so sterlings

orangeboy
13th Apr 2012, 22:41
Just get into mate!

Go to the local flying schools and see what courses etc they have a on offer.

Just pay as you go for each lesson, so you don't have to pay for the whole course upfront (actually alot of people advise against paying upfront), then you don't have to save as much at the start and can get into flying straight away.

Thats the 'only' way to fulfill your dream, is to actually start flying.

Stallone
14th Apr 2012, 03:12
yeah i'm thinking of a PPL too, money is not a problem since u can pay as u fly and have a degree with a fairly gd paying job

problem is, after PPL, where do u go from there? Rightfully CPL/MEIR is the next level, but with that, we're talking abt a hundred grand in US$

orangeboy
15th Apr 2012, 10:23
^ That is expensive for a CPL.

How about getting the PPL first and reassessing from there? Even if you decide not to pursue the CPL after then, atleast you will have a PPL and can go flying whenever you want.

aussiepride
16th Apr 2012, 00:07
G'day Everyone,
I’m usually not one to post; but after reading the 4000 odd posts on this forum, for over the past few weeks I felt inclined to say something. First to people who are considering the programme- read the entire forum. It is well worth the time taken (think of it as an investment if you are serious about applying for a cadetship) - there is a lot of useful information and tips (a lot of crap as well- but hey it’s a forum). The forum covers most things from interview questions, stages, pay, conditions, both pros and cons of the programme, as well as covering CX aircraft, engines etc.

If anyone does have any quick questions IRT (in regards to) the programme feel free to PM myself and I will try to pass on what I know. From what I have read on here and in multiple other books/websites etc the programme can be a good way for a young single person who is willing to live similar to what can only be described as a "uni student" life style. (No such thing as an easy way into any business- the glamour and glory will come later on in life once you has earned it. For now live up the single life.) As an SO it will be what you make of it. Having been in the Army for 5 yrs and having lived in my fair share of s#!t box rooms I can only say- meet some mates get out and enjoy the experience- it's usually how the best stories are made.

The people expecting to walk into a career earning top dollar need to look at all the other trades/professions out there - their all in the same basket- You have to work hard to get to the top. There are many streams into the Aviation business and all of which require sacrifice, commitment and a lot of hard work and persistence- most of all however you need DISCIPLINE. Don’t procrastinate! Get out there and be active- find your local flying school (get involved- even if you can’t afford to fly, talk to people (its free!!)- after all the business is usually its not what you know but who), read the latest aviation magazines/newspapers - find out what’s going on in the world and build that situational awareness, go to air shows make some contacts. Finally I know we all would but please please refrain from trying to pawn your self out and fly for free. It really does bring down the entire monetary value of the aviation business and makes earning a decent wage rather difficult- after all flying commercially both rotary and fixed is a complex skill and rather an elitist group- lets keep it that way and be paid accordingly for our knowledge and skill.

Thanks again for everyone’s valuable comments and wish everyone all the best in their decision.

Stay Golden Pony Boys!

;)

r3dr0cket
16th Apr 2012, 04:23
firstly, thank you localcadetflyer for posting the questions, its nice to have a direction in which to study in.

However, im just wondering what the format for the technical exam will be for the first interview? will it be in multiple choice or will it be written.

And if I am an ab-initio candidate, will such knowledge from localcadetflyer's questions be expected?

Thank you for any and all of your help in advance. 1stInterview is on April 20th in HK..getting the jitters..

orangeboy
16th Apr 2012, 04:30
redrocket,

I mentioned in an earlier post above, when i had my interview back in late 2010, i had next to 0 hours, and the standard of questions the captain asked were upto a BAK (Basic Aeronautical Knowledge) standard. The questions that localcadetflyer posted are more of a CPL/ATPL standard, and whilst it would be good to know them, you really should have a solid understanding of the basics first.

If i was you, i would study upto a BAK level first, then move onto PPL level and so on only once you've had a good understanding of the previous level, as the knowledge builds from the previous knowledge.

Goodluck!

r3dr0cket
16th Apr 2012, 10:01
Thanks orangeboy for taking the time to answer my question (especially since you have already answered once =p)

One more thing I am wondering about is in regards to the job knowledge test; will the format be written or will it be multiple choice?

lucky86
16th Apr 2012, 10:49
Kenneth PM me!

orangeboy
16th Apr 2012, 11:54
Job Knowledge Test was multiple choice when i did it and i believe it still is.

crwjerk
16th Apr 2012, 12:58
There are many streams into the Aviation business and all of which require sacrifice, commitment and a lot of hard work and persistence
Except for the modern day Cathay Pacific!!

starmaid
17th Apr 2012, 02:20
hey rahil, just wantd to know how did it go with cathay?

r3dr0cket
17th Apr 2012, 06:58
thank you for your help, ive been reading the PHAK booklet after the JKI one they sent me, hope I have I remember most of it =]

simly
18th Apr 2012, 11:56
I applied in October, and no reply yet... finger cross i guess

rodrigues
19th Apr 2012, 04:12
Just got my knock back e-mail, reasonably gutted. Any success stories from the second attempt?

Clish
19th Apr 2012, 05:52
Which stage? Any reasons given?

gasperh90
20th Apr 2012, 08:47
Hello guys.

I am new here, I am reading this forum day by day and every now and then I learn something new about CP programme. I have not found similar case as mine yet, so I was hoping one of you could give me an adivice on this. I am just about to finish my degree from mechanical engineering in the summer and I will get frozen ATPL at the same time. I was hoping if anyone could give me advise on my question. Should I go to Agency for civil aviation where the ATPL test is written off and finish my ATPL theory, or should I apply for CP programme with only frozen ATPL? Because writting off the ATPL theory will take me about 6 to 8 months before I finish it. So basicly I want to know, will ATPL theory give me any advantage when I apply for the programme?

gasperh90
20th Apr 2012, 11:28
I am getting fATP in any way, because it comes with my degree, it is a part of my faculty programme. So I guess I am going to apply in summer with engineering degree and fATP will be my backup plan if I do not succeed in selection.

Thank you for your advice.

cloudcloud
21st Apr 2012, 17:27
Anyone else getting their first interview in May? Vancouver?

Aviator265
21st Apr 2012, 18:42
Hi guys!!!

Does anyone know when are they gonna conduct interviews again in India ???

Thanks and have a good one guys !;)

Robertson31
22nd Apr 2012, 01:52
Hi, questions for you...are you scheduled for an interview in Van? when did you apply and how many hours and what license/ratings? how old r u?

Thanks man...

Robertson31
22nd Apr 2012, 01:55
Does anyone know what the max age CX will consider for the SO training? Or what's the oldest SO in the training?

Thanks guy's.

Brandon8
22nd Apr 2012, 03:30
Hey all,

I am assuming all SOs have to reside in Hong Kong?

How long do you have to be with the company to live in Vancouver and fly out of there? 15 years or so?

Thanks!

Robertson31
22nd Apr 2012, 03:44
Brandon, what is your age and experience?

Brandon8
22nd Apr 2012, 03:58
21. Applied when I was 18. Finally got a reply two weeks ago to go to Hong Kong for initial interview.

I have HKID and can speak fluent Cantonese and English.

I currently live in Canada (born and raised). I visit HK regularly but the thought of living there scares me. I love Canada and I want to know IF (I know this is a long shot) I get accepted, how long I will have to be with the company to request to live elsewhere AKA Canada

Robertson31
22nd Apr 2012, 04:15
At least 4 years, but probably more from what I understand. How many hours do you have?

ASH1111
22nd Apr 2012, 04:48
Are you people serious??? You will NEVER see Canada. Guys that have been here for 8 years now hired onto a base, if they give it up and move to HKG will never get it back.

If you join this airline, plan on never leaving HKG (not a big deal because you will have a great quality of life on 10 K housing........OH WAIT!)

Why you guys refuse to listen to those of us already here unfortunately confirms what people suspect about your levels of maturity.

Good luck fellas.

Sp0r3
22nd Apr 2012, 05:00
@Brandon8
If you have never intended to reside in Hong Kong, I think you are better off getting all your licenses/endorsements in Canada and do GA until you have enough hours to apply for Air Canada or WestJet.

Something you have to think about when joining CX - you have to have the mentality that you will be permanently residing in Hong Kong. Not only that, you can't bring your western lifestyle standard of living into Hong Kong. Under the current CX Cadet salary, you will live comfortably in Hong Kong (under local's standard of living). Don't even think about paying off mortgages abroad as your salary isn't enough to cover 2 places.

Yes, the salary now is worse than before. But CX management has shifted their hiring scheme from hiring expats to hiring "locals". If you are young, single, and willing to relocate permanently, then CX may be the deal for you. If you are one of the many amongst here that are thinking about working for CX for a few years then apply for basing, then please think again.

Robertson31
22nd Apr 2012, 05:05
Question for you, do you know what the oldest SO hired has been?

astronetster
22nd Apr 2012, 05:20
Will CX consider applicant with absolutely no flying experience at all?

For example, I am a 22-yrs old engineer with Diploma in Engineering course and had some working experience in Singapore.

Had there been anyone selected purely from the beginning? I submitted my application on the last week or March 2012 and still waiting for reply. I currently live in Sg.

Just curious.

Brandon8
22nd Apr 2012, 05:23
Please let me state that I never said I never intended to live in HK.

I know if I do get hired as a SO I will have to live in HK.

I just THOUGHT that if I work for the company long enough I may have a say in where I want to fly out of. I guess not.

Brandon8
22nd Apr 2012, 05:29
Thanks a lot for your reply sp0r3. Your post was very informative.

I am kind of sad about this but I am willing to give up living in Canada to fly for CX.

But aren't there CX pilots out there who fly out of SFO or YVR or any other airport that CX flies out of and actually lives outside of HK?

Thanks!

blade
22nd Apr 2012, 12:44
yes and those 2300 people on the seniority list all get to bid for that slot when it opens ahead of you..no new base slots in last few years..

ckthepilot
22nd Apr 2012, 20:15
Has anyone received an email from CX recruiting department about updating their application for their AE Second Officer Program lately? I got an email from a recruiting manager about 2 weeks ago. Sent back the updated requested forms a day later but have not heard anything since then. I currently live in the US and was wondering what how CX's interview schedule looks like for 2012? I've already waited a year already. How much longer will I have to wait until I get an invitation/rejection letter?

The email I got reads as follows:

Dear Candidates,

Thank you for your previously submitted on-line application with Cathay Pacific Airways for our Second Officer programmes.

Given this application was submitted some time ago, we ask that if you are still interested in the Second Officer opportunity, to fully complete the attached Flying Experience Requirement form and the Up-date application form.

Kindly complete the attached forms and return by e-mail on or before 12 May, 2012.

Once we have received the completed documents your application will be assessed on interview suitability and competitiveness.

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact XXX at [email protected] ([email protected]) or by telephone + XXX XXXX XXXX.

Thank you for your continued interest in Cathay Pacific Airways.

Yours sincerely

XXX
Flight Crew Recruitment Manager
Flight Operations Department

jofubu
23rd Apr 2012, 01:10
Hello ckthepilot,

i received the same email few days ago, and sent it back with all necessary updates i think the best think to do as far as the next step which i pressume will be the stage 1 interview is just to sit back and relax allowing them to review everything.

Good luck

Sp0r3
23rd Apr 2012, 02:46
@ckthepilot
Wait times vary depending on the amount of people applying in your area. Once they have gathered enough applicants, they will consider sending a team there to do the assessment. It does not come as a surprise for some that they have to wait over a year to go into Stage 1.

Which location have you picked for the selection process? If you are willing to travel (at your own expense), ask them to switch your preferred location to Hong Kong and you will get your Stage 1 quicker. If you pass Stage 1, your Stage 2 travel will be paid by CX!

ckthepilot
23rd Apr 2012, 03:03
Sp0r3

I requested for any location on the application. So ehh, I have to pay for my own travel expenses to HK for Stage 1 if I do go for the invite? :ugh:

orangeboy
23rd Apr 2012, 03:12
Stage 1 costs is all covered by the applicant.

Stage 2 and above, CX cover the costs.

etrang
23rd Apr 2012, 04:23
If you join this airline, plan on never leaving HKG

Nonsense. If you join CX as a pilot you will leave HK multiple times every month.

Beba
23rd Apr 2012, 05:16
Hi everyone,

I'm preparing for my initial interview for CX CPP...

I've tried searching for the following on the net but to no avail;
Which countries do you will fly over if traveling from London to Hong Kong?

MrBawse
23rd Apr 2012, 05:36
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to get their hands on the CX recruiting schedules? Not just for this year in particular...

cheers

captain.weird
23rd Apr 2012, 06:56
Hi there,Did somebody hear something about the hiring policy? Will the 61wks course be closed for international applicants without HKID? And for how long?? Some news or something like that???Cheerss

chan1008
23rd Apr 2012, 07:20
Hi everyone, I just did my ICAO English last week and received the following email today. Is this a form of rejection letter? Did anyone received the same email?

Thanks

SECOND OFFICER PROGRAMME

Further to your application for a Cathay Pacific Airways Second Officer programme and subsequent assessments, we regret to advise you that the progression of your application in the recruitment process has been delayed.

Please inform us of any changes in address, or education qualifications during this period, with a view to re-commence your application in 12 months.

In the meantime we would like to wish you every success.

r3dr0cket
23rd Apr 2012, 08:01
hey everybody, I just had my interview on the 20th (Friday). Interview was a little different than I expected/read from the forums. Here is the rundown:

Personality test, reasoning test, JKI booklet test (the same)
Interview (purely HR, no tech whatsoever)

Asked the HR lady regarding the interview process, instead of three stages, it has been cut to two and then straight to flight grading (with ICAO english test between the two).

Also heard they are trying to fill up the CP class for July/August with 18 potential cadets in each class.

Hope this information helps you guys with your future endeavors and best of luck to all!

PS: passed the 1st stage, ICAO test on June 4th, fingers crossed!

r3dr0cket
23rd Apr 2012, 08:28
Just had my first interview on April 20th (Friday). The process was pretty close to what was said on these forums (JKI test, personality, reasoning test). The only difference was that the interview was purely HR.

Out of the 6 of us that day, we all got 2 ladies (one person got a guy and a lady) as the interviewers and after asking all my fellow interviewees, the questions were not technical at all. The questions consisted of general HR questions (school, work, life, reasons to be a pilot), some general Cathay Knowledge to some details regarding the flight training course/school in Adeilade.

After the interview was over, I asked them about this year's interview process and it looks as though it will be a little different;

Instead of 3 stages, its cut to two (with ICAO english test in between)
After passing stage two, it will be onto flight grading
They are trying to fill up the class for July/August so they are in a hurry.

Hope that this information helps you guys with the interview this year.

PS: passed first stage, ICAO english test on the 4th of June. Will be updating as my interview process advances along the stages!

ashokbhatt1
23rd Apr 2012, 09:51
r3drocket

How many hours do you have??
the july/august batch you talking about is for the advanced entry guys or for ones who are going for 61 week course??

regards

r3dr0cket
23rd Apr 2012, 09:58
i have 0 hours, the july/august is for the 61 week I presume (not 100% sure) as when we i asked the question, she seemed to be referring to candidates like myself.

lucky86
23rd Apr 2012, 10:04
Congrats red rocket,

I did my first interview in Sydney on the 16th and got a HR and pilot for my initial interview. Unfortunately I did not do as well as I wanted in the interview, but the tests I think I managed well.

I am still waiting for a reply, the HR lady did say I have to wait 3 to 4 weeks for a response..

So again, well done in passing 1st stage, I've been waiting for a week now and it's probably the longest week I've ever endured! Lol.

I really want this, but I have to say, I'm looking a bit shaky in getting a 2nd interview, I guess I'll see in another few weeks. *sigh

I dont know what the ICAO English testing process is in Australia, I'm pretty sure I still have to do it being born and brought up in Australia to keep the same standard for overseas applicant. So maybe wait for result on initial interview, get ICAO testing booked, and then a 2nd interview offer? Surely they wouldn't waste time offering you a 2nd stage interview if you are not to ICAO standard.

Anyhows, back to hurrying up and waiting..

Samsungcx
23rd Apr 2012, 17:51
I was called to attend the 2nd stage interview in mid of May.
Is there anyone going to have the interview at that time? Pls PM me.:ok:

M Pereira
23rd Apr 2012, 20:00
Samsungcx- Are you going for the AE or cadet? I have passed the first stage but still waiting for a date for Stage 2. I was informed that it will most probably be at the end of May but nothing has been finalized.

Sp0r3
24th Apr 2012, 02:16
@lucky86
You are correct. You will still require to take part in the ICAO English Assessment regardless of your English background. Not only do you have to possess a proficient level of English, but you will also need to be able to comprehend English with a slight accent (which you will encounter when flying international). Don't worry, I thought I did mediocre (eventhough I'm a native English speaker) but I passed the assessment anyways.

From my understanding, here is how the new Stages are set (for HKG, not sure about internationals):

Stage 1
- JKI Test
- Reasoning Test
- Personality Test
- HR General Interview (No Tech)

Stage 1.5
- ICAO English Assessment

Stage 2
- General & Technical Interview
- Mental Math Test
- Flight Planning
- Group Exercise

Stage 2+
- Medical Exam

- Flight Grading

orangeboy
24th Apr 2012, 02:20
If you're in Hong Kong, then they will normally get you to do the ICAO English test before stage 2.

If you're outside HK, you will normally do the ICAO English test at stage 2 or at the HR course you attend just before you start training in Adelaide (i.e. after you have been accepted into the program)

Samsungcx
24th Apr 2012, 02:52
Hi M Pereira (http://www.pprune.org/members/371950-m-pereira),
I go for the cadet one and I have already passed the ICAO test.

chan1008
24th Apr 2012, 02:55
Hi everybody, did my ICAO assessment last Friday, and received the following email today. Did anyone received the same email, I am wondering the nature of this email, was it a rejection letter?
Many thanks

SECOND OFFICER PROGRAMME

Further to your application for a Cathay Pacific Airways Second Officer programme and subsequent assessments, we regret to advise you that the progression of your application in the recruitment process has been delayed.

Please inform us of any changes in address, or education qualifications during this period, with a view to re-commence your application in 12 months.

In the meantime we would like to wish you every success.

ER-ACER
24th Apr 2012, 03:01
Guys from India who got calls for ROUND 2 .... Give me a yell .... could be of help :ok:

if you breaking your head :ugh: on what is to be done !!! do PM me .Might have some good **** for ya

ckthepilot
24th Apr 2012, 03:26
Is it safe to say that both AE and Ab-Initio interview process is the same?

smurf84
24th Apr 2012, 03:43
ckthepilot - No, it isn't.

ER-ACER
24th Apr 2012, 03:49
The structure of the interview various sometimes based on location of interview and available resources.e.g. in HKG they have a different battery of skill test they use.Whereas outports they seem to use test as WOMBAT.But the JKI test ,computer aptitude test , and the Ravens progressive reasoning test seems to be a common thing for both

The "make or breaker " which is the personal interview will totally depend on the experice you carry into that room.Need less to say they will push you to the limits .Its always good to know more than what you are supposed.You have to draw a line cause there is too much.

As for the Flight grading, things vary .Please refer to older post's.:ok:

lucky86
24th Apr 2012, 04:27
Thanks for your support Sp0r3,

All I want is a chance at the 2nd Interview, I dont just want a 'holiday' to HK, I'm currently working FT, and I don't have much annual leave to have a holiday anyways. lol..

flypaul
24th Apr 2012, 05:46
Hi Guys,

what does the JKI test mean?

Thx

ER-ACER
24th Apr 2012, 07:16
Its the technical quiz test out of the - General Knowledge Information -booklet they send to you as part of the 1st Round Invite Package.

flypaul
24th Apr 2012, 07:48
Thanks for ur answer!

gasperh90
24th Apr 2012, 07:58
Is there an existing list of places where and when Stages 1 are being held for this year? Or do I get to choose the most suitable place for myself after I send them the application?

Thank u

greatbattle
24th Apr 2012, 08:42
Hi Sp0r3.

Since you've been under the spot light, I wanna ask what kind of English will be involved in ICAO assessment. I know this ICAO thing designed by Cathay is purely aim for evaluating one's English ability and has nothing to do with the practical aviation language. but is there any political or Scientific Scenario with tons of difficult vocabularies that can be frequently found in ACT or SAT Exam involved in the test that we're gonna paraphrase and explain to the assessor? To achieve level 5/6 to pass the test are we expected to speak like a legitimate lawyer, reporter or news anchor like Anderson Cooper, Pier Morgan etc?

My ICAO assessment is in June but I don't know what i should prepare at this point. I heard a guy who scored band 8 in IELTS got Level 3 in CX ICAO, which came a shock to me. Is it difficult for non-native English speaker who speaks English on a regular basis to pass the test do you think?

Sp0r3
24th Apr 2012, 09:28
@greatbattle

The test itself is pretty much an English comprehension exercise. There are no industrial jargons that you have to know. The purpose of this test is to see if you can interprit the English language correctly spoken by people with different accents.

As for your IELTS comments, IELTS and ICAO English Assessment emphasize on different aspects of English. Where IELTS is focused on reading and writing (with some oral components), ICAO test is wholely based on conversation comprehension. There is no writing involved with ICAO Assessment. And ICAO tests on your ability to comprehend the language under a variation of accents from people of different ethnicity.

orangeboy
24th Apr 2012, 10:43
The English Test has a number of components:

In no particular order

1. Given a number of words from the tester, explain what you think they mean

2. Listen to a number of conversations on a recording, then answer some questions in relation to them

3. Look at a picture, describe it from a certain perspective e.g. as if you were the person in the picture.

4. Watch a video then answer questions in relation to the video

5. Choose some items from a list and explain why you chose them

The main thing is really to try and relax as much as possible. There's no trick, it really is just seeing how well you can use and understand the english language.

As mentioned, there is no technical jargon or complex questions. If you can speak and understand english reasonably, you will do fine.

Beba
24th Apr 2012, 12:49
Hey Sp0r3,

would you be so kind in aswering my question too mate?

I have my initial interview in May and am worried about it, namely the JKI test and Reasoning test.

For the JKI test.... are the questions like PPL questions? I have 15 flying hours and was told by a cadet to learn beyond my ability up to and including PPL knowledge.

In terms of the abstract reasoning test.... how hard is it and how did you personally prepare for it?

Cheers Sp0r3!

tchanhk
24th Apr 2012, 14:34
hi

so the first stage

is the tech multiple-choice side/interview based on the jki booklet or much more?

ckthepilot
24th Apr 2012, 14:53
Its the technical quiz test out of the - General Knowledge Information -booklet they send to you as part of the 1st Round Invite Package.

What else do they send in preparing for Stage 1? Anything about the company in general?

Sp0r3
24th Apr 2012, 15:20
@beba
The JKI multiple choice is just based on the booklet, with maybe 2-3 (I forgot the exact number) that is not included from the booklet. But the answer is pretty simple. Don't sweat about it

The reasoning test is just the Ravens Progressive Matrices test. It's also nothing to sweat about. You can't really prepare it as its pretty much spot the pattern type of questions.

vinit
24th Apr 2012, 15:31
hi i am from india..i had also applied for this program but i didnt receive any email from them. Has the 1st round for india conducted already?

r3dr0cket
24th Apr 2012, 17:49
chan1008, what would be a possible reason for the rejection after the ICAO test? I thought it was pretty hard to fail. Thank you for any insight in advance.

M Pereira
24th Apr 2012, 18:56
Bond737

I am going for the AE course. I did stage 1 in HK in October last year, and passed the interview and all but not the reasoning test. Re-wrote it in March and passed, so just waiting on the dates for Stage 2.

Anyone else recieved dates yet for stage 2 AE course?

ckthepilot
24th Apr 2012, 19:34
Bond737

I am going for the AE course. I did stage 1 in HK in October last year, and passed the interview and all but not the reasoning test. Re-wrote it in March and passed, so just waiting on the dates for Stage 2.

Anyone else recieved dates yet for stage 2 AE course?

Say what? CX actually gave you 2 chances on Stage I? They must be hurting for pilots.

captain.weird
24th Apr 2012, 19:46
Say what? CX actually gave you 2 chances on Stage I? They must be hurting for pilots..

They are indeed.

adamctk
25th Apr 2012, 01:12
Stage 1
- JKI Test
- Reasoning Test
- Personality Test
- HR General Interview (No Tech)

Stage 1.5
- ICAO English Assessment

Stage 2
- General & Technical Interview
- Mental Math Test
- Flight Planning
- Group Exercise

Stage 2+
- Medical Exam

- Flight Grading

I can confirm the interview stages are absolutely correct because It is what I did all.

One tip for ICAO. The examiners can find out somehow you have known the questions before the exam or not. So it is pointless to ask for the questions before ICAO.

Good luck and see you guys in FTA later.