PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

kelevra
8th Oct 2013, 09:38
Around 6 months for all three times. My stage 1 is pretty soon actually. And thanks.

If you read this thread from the beginning, there was this poster: "holdmetight" I think it was this guy who failed his first time and got in the second time. I think he has a PPL at the time of his early posts.

Sai Kung
8th Oct 2013, 14:26
Hi Folks

Does anyone know if CX will accept a HKID Card with Right to Land status for the Cadet Pilot Program? I don't think this ID card is considered a Permanent ID card, but does allow the holder to live, work and study in Hong Kong. I noticed that on the CX Careers website that they mention applications are welcomed by Permanent ID card holders, but was wondering if the Right to Land status was accepted as opposed to Right of Abode.

Thanks

SK

pilotchute
8th Oct 2013, 14:41
Just out of interest, did you guys all apply for Dragonair as well? If you did, what was the result? I hear the pay and benefits there are much better than CX.

JHinS
9th Oct 2013, 04:54
pilotchute: can you briefly talk about that?:8

what I knew is KA stress they have rapid promotion path:}

pilotchute
9th Oct 2013, 12:43
Dragonair SO recruitment is something I know very little about. I know they certainly don't take foreigners unless its DEFO or DEC.

What I have heard is that most people try Dragonair first and then have a go at CX if they are don't make it. I have no way to verify this though. I just wondered why you would be an SO at CX for anything up to 4 years when at Dragonair your flying in the RHS an awful lot sooner. Is it that CX are long haul maybe?

hklovers
9th Oct 2013, 13:48
this is one of my reasons......
i like long haul flight rather than short haul
also, KA only use airbus and I prefer boeing:)

DrakeSkyle
9th Oct 2013, 17:36
The main thing for me is that I don't want to spend 30+ years of my life flying to China. Other reasons are as stated before, Cathay having a mixed fleet makes for more avenues of exploration and learning, and the diversity of the workplace (at least for now) is attractive for someone like me who doesn't want to work in a place that is 95% Chinese. Then there are flying long haul routes, which are much less stressful and hectic than short haul.

Of course these are all personal reasons, and one person may think different from the next, but at least for me, they make the longer progression time seem a little more worth.

Cpt. Underpants
11th Oct 2013, 01:59
You may want to rethink the long haul preference... it takes years off your life as a consequence of constant circadian rhythm distortions and severe radiation exposure.

It's the elephant in the room. It's there, it's hard to ignore, but no one will talk about it.

flyer_spotter
19th Oct 2013, 10:07
Does anyone know the updated categories for Flight Grading? Less than how many hours is Basic/Intermediate/Advanced?

I did read some previous posts about Flight Grading and one post in particular by happyguy99, that it was Basic if 15 hours or less, Intermediate if more than 30 hours, and Advanced if you have license. I hear that they might have changed it over the years.

I have close to 10 hours but haven't flown in four years. Do they take into account how often/recent the last few hours were logged?

Thanks!

SloppyJoe
19th Oct 2013, 12:33
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but what will you do when you get an answer?

If they take into account how long its been are you going to go do some flying beforehand?

If they don't take into account how long its been are you going to do some flying beforehand?

Why are you asking this and how will it change your preparation?

Why would either answer change your preparation if you want this job?

If you don't do additional flying beforehand how are you going to answer the question I am sure you will be asked. You really want to be a pilot, why did you only do ten hours and nothing since for 4 years?

You may say money, a PPL is very doable for anyone with initiative over a period of 4 years even if you live in HKG, if you don't even easier. Do you not have initiative to even get a PPL, and you want us to hire you?

So now your thinking maybe I should do some extra flying as that is a hard question to answer. Now does it matter if they take into account how long ago you last flew? How are you going to prepare differently?

Some of the questions I see posted here just seem to be from worried kids, is this really who we are recruiting?

I can tell you that with 10 hours it is irrelevant if you are given the toughest test or the easiest, if they take into account how long its been or not. The guy sitting next to you will know very easily by the end of that flight if you have aptitude, hand eye coordination and ability to learn. What they get you to do is irrelevant, its how you do it and improve that is what matters.

flyer_spotter
19th Oct 2013, 12:56
Good points. I guess it doesn't really matter but i just thought it would help to know what to expect (and hence why people read pprune). Thanks for your input.

giuliohck
19th Oct 2013, 21:24
Less than 15hrs: Basic Grading (G115 GROB)
1.) Effects of Control
2.) Straight and Level
3.) Climb and Descend + Medium Level Turn
4.) Stall, Steep Turn and Wingover
5.) Upper air circuits
6.) Circuits
7.) Final Assessment

15-25hrs: Intermediate Grading
all 7 basic grading flights (G115 Grob) + 3 aerobatics (CAP10)

25-250hrs: Advanced Grading (3 flights using G115 GROB, another 3 flights using IGATE SIM (Kingair B200)
1.) Straight and Level, Climb and Descend, Stall, Medium Level and Steep Turn, Wingover
2.) Same as above + 2 Normal Circuits + 1 Flapless Circuit
3.) Same as 2.) + 1 Practice Force Landing (PFL) + 2 Glide circuits
4.) Basic Instrument Flying + point to point navigations
5.) Basic Instrument Flying + point to point navigations + ILS Landings
6.) Final Assessment

that's the info I got from someone who went to FTA for CX cadet program in 2010, hope it helps!

jslade
21st Oct 2013, 07:27
So October hath cometh... Any AE/TT guys/gals heard any news about a start date?
I along with 2 others completed flight grading in August 2012 with a start date of 28/11/2012 until it was postponed until somewhere between October '13 to January '14.
Any news/rumors/hunches etc would be most welcomed

LeChatNoir
22nd Oct 2013, 03:25
Is there anyone will have their Stage 2 on 28-Nov? Wanna meet up for some kinda practices? :O:O

ka333
22nd Oct 2013, 15:52
How about Stage 2 on Nov 12?
I got 4 in my group now. Should be 6 in total.

cornleaf
24th Oct 2013, 05:06
stage 2 on 11 Nov anyone? ;)

hklovers
24th Oct 2013, 06:56
corn leaf, pm-ed

Hit the blue
28th Oct 2013, 06:08
Guys i have cleared stage 1 last October and was put on hold till this October and now when i tried to get some update those guys are still not certain about it ! Any one of you guys (Who is not a holder of HKID and not from HK) tried to get update on as to when is the program going to start ?

ryany
28th Oct 2013, 22:15
^ I'm in the same boat. I did the interview in Vancouver, BC and I'm awaiting the final interview. I emailed the flight recruitment several times throughout the year, but no reply. If there's an update let me know as well!

pilotchute
29th Oct 2013, 01:34
My update is if your waiting for CX to call you then it might be a while yet. I would suggest looking for a job with different operator.

I have nothing to base that on other than there was supposed to be announcement this month and none has been given. This would indicate that they still have no idea how many pilots they need or when they need them.

Don't wait too long.

Cpt. Underpants
29th Oct 2013, 03:19
Chute et al

It's not about numbers. CX have a clear business plan and growth strategy.

The Hong Kong Immigration department will not allow CX to recruit outside of HKG PERMANENT ID CARD HOLDERS while there are still applicants from inside HKG or those that have right of permanent abode in HKG.

If you're not a HKG(P)ID card holder, irrespective of experience, don't hold your breath, it isn't going to happen anytime soon. The website splurge is fluff, the sole intent to keep a ready pool of hopefuls in case things change with the HKG Immigrations attitude.

Basing (now there's an interesting word) your future career plans on a single employers diaphanous PR is foolhardy.

Until growth is affected by a lack of suitable local lads and ladies, nothing will happen.

CodyBlade
29th Oct 2013, 12:18
Why ask the question when the ans in chiseled in the pages of this thread and for Goodness sake you already knew the answer.

Would an Indian airline hire Ab-Initio kids from HK?

"still have no idea how many pilots they need or when they need them. "
Don't worry they do know.

People can't seem to absorb the fact that the non-HKID stream is dead-in-the water. Meanwhile cadets are even coming from the HYAA, so correct don't hold your breath.

rs852
29th Oct 2013, 15:03
Hey guys,

New here so bare with me, just wanted to ask a few questions regarding the Cathay Pacific AE, but before we get there I'll just state my background:
I'm a HKPID holder having moved here in the late 80's, I've applied once before to the Cathay pacific Cadet programme a while back and got rejected even before the first stage.
However since then I've decided to get my CPL Cert. IV licence in Melbourne through self sponsorship, which is going to start in Feb 14 and hopefully should be completed within an year or a year and half if I choose to do the MEIR as well, which I am probably going to do to maximise my chances.
Anyways, I wanted to ask if it's worth applying to Cathay Pacific after reading a few articles on this forum regarding pay cuts and the housing allowance being cut (for people in HK that's probably the main gripe) or would it be better to apply for one of the aussie carriers? (My missus is coming with me and she's gotten her skilled migrant visa so I can piggy back on that as a spouse which will allow me to work in Oz)
Lastly, if I do decide to apply for Cathay AE and if somehow am accepted, what should I expect in terms of the interview/practical course? as well as will I have to come back to HK (for interviews I don't mind) for a while before being sent to Adelaide for Cathay's training in FTA?

Thanks!

P.s. The CPL with MEIR will equate to around 350+ Hrs in the log - and I don't mind racking up a few hundred more hrs after the course is done in a Multi-engined aircraft at my own expense.

Lappet
29th Oct 2013, 15:29
how is the difficulty on the reasoning tests?

jumpseatCAPT
30th Oct 2013, 02:32
Reasonably difficult :}

Cheers
J

lasiked_pilot
30th Oct 2013, 14:32
smart answer for dumb question

pilotchute
31st Oct 2013, 03:53
Capt Underpants

I think most of what you say is correct apart from the fact that it's only Ab Initio non HKID card holder applicants that the HK Immigration has a problem with.

The reason for the locals only recruitment at the moment is because CX grossly miscalculated how many SO's they needed hence a huge number who have interviewed and or passed flight grading waiting for start dates. They no longer need more than a trickle for now so locals will be able to make the numbers. Even if your local and qualify for the AE course you will have to sit through the whole ab course with the no timers as there aren't enough locals with hours to run the AE course.

If CX was so forward thinking and visionary they wouldn't have interviewed so many people in the first place. It's not immigration causing the problem it's HR not doing the numbers properly and screwing everyone around.

One poster here a few months back said he had never seen so many SO's on the bottom of the seniority list. No upgrades and no new planes means no movement.

Cpt. Underpants
31st Oct 2013, 04:59
Many things wrong with your post.

The very issue that the HK Immigration department is that there are locals waiting to be selected and trained and until there are no longer locals willing to take the job, no visas for non locals. Period.

Regarding a massive, stagnant pool of SOs, also not true. The course that CX has chosen is one of cadet intakes, nothing else, so all have to go through the system, the whole system, from induction, ab intio, Adelaide, CX induction, SO training, ad nauseum. No exceptions.

My colleagues and I are flat out training SOs at every level, but the experience and aptitude just isn't there, so it's taking much much longer than in the past, and our system has yet to adjust for that.

pilotchute
31st Oct 2013, 06:56
Hello again Capt,

When I was doing my stage 2 I was told that not enough locals were getting through the various stages of testing. Most got chopped at stage one but many were also getting the flick at stage 2 and flight grading. This would mean that there isn't a shortage of applicants but a shortage of people getting past the testing.

I would like to add that in my group only 1 person had less than 1000 hours so I don't think we were the "250 hour wonder kids" often referred to on pprune. CX could set the bar at 1000 hours for advanced entry and still get mountains of applications. This may fix some of your training problems maybe?

Are you suggesting that the number of SO's Cathay has at the moment won't be sufficient to crew flights in the near future? If that is the case then will CX again take expats or just lower the standard to get more through the door?

Cpt. Underpants
31st Oct 2013, 08:07
Are you suggesting that the number of SO's Cathay has at the moment won't be sufficient to crew flights in the near future? If that is the case then will CX again take expats or just lower the standard to get more through the door?

That's an excellent question. I know what I would prefer to see, but I can just about guarantee that whatever option CX chooses when the crunch hits (and it will)...will be the option that invokes the least cost.

There's only one thing that drives them (we read it almost daily in updates, staff letters and press releases).

Money.

japandwell
2nd Nov 2013, 05:33
I take this to mean that the people you are referring to as having no less than 1000 hours were Adavnced Entry types. Was that the case? How about multi time in 2000 Kg or higher? Glass? The other factor concerning experience levels is FAR part 135 or 121, or similar according to each countries standard.

Was the standard higher than stated Advanced Entry standards? I mean other than total flight hours.

pilotchute
2nd Nov 2013, 11:21
Japandwell,

The ones with me had experience on Dash8, Cheiftan and a few more. Some had done part 135 ops and some not. Two had been instructors and all were over 25 years old bar one. Yes we were all AE as none of us had an ATP licence yet.

I don't really think they care what you flew before, just if you will fit in and be able to cope with the training.

Is that what you mean?

japandwell
4th Nov 2013, 23:29
Pilotchute, You did answer my question. I have more than the stated minimums and thought your post implied that people are accepted with higher qualifications than the minimum for each program. The fact that I have nearly ATP minimums but no time in AC over 2,000 Kg. puts me in a place between AE and TT.
It is good to know that people with higher than stated minimums for the AE may still be accepted for the program.

Cpt. Underpants
5th Nov 2013, 10:25
If you don't have a HONG KONG PERMANENT ID CARD, no amount of experience will get you in the door for the foreseeable future (on ANY program - ab initio, AE or TT). Clear enough?

CodyBlade
5th Nov 2013, 15:16
Hey mods put this up as a stickie it will save lots of bandwidth.

japandwell
6th Nov 2013, 01:29
I am reading between the lines on your response. I take it there are no more AE classes or even TT courses planned.

I have been gathering this throughout the forums. There is some information that contradicts that theory though. There was a post saying that the ab initio courses are taking too long, and that may be used as an excuse to start AE courses again. AE pilots don't require HKID, correct?

Anyway, I am still tossing this around. I'll be leaving my employer in a few months on a type of "early out program", and will get back to instructing full time. There are a few ab initio programs here in the US that hire FAA Instructors, and offer full time salaries. I'm glad I came back to the US!

Bathurstwalla
6th Nov 2013, 13:37
If AE and TT does reopen, will preference be given to non-permanent HKID holders on those courses? Or were previous courses and the current pool of people waiting for start dates a mix of everyone?

schweizer2
6th Nov 2013, 16:35
Why would preference be given to NON ID holders? :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Hope this helps:

If you don't have a HONG KONG PERMANENT ID CARD, no amount of experience will get you in the door for the foreseeable future (on ANY program - ab initio, AE or TT). Clear enough?

Thanks to Capt. Underpants, made my copy pasting easy.

Just one more time:

Bathurstwalla
6th Nov 2013, 16:55
Oops should have been more clear, I meant the non-permanent version of the HKID.

As in if you are living in Hong Kong already with a HKID, but just not a HKPID.

orangeboy
7th Nov 2013, 00:05
Priority is only for permanent hkid holders. This is what i got told.

CodyBlade
7th Nov 2013, 01:07
Good grief! little boys, get yourself organised and avail yourself of the RELEVANT INFORMATION.

jumpseatCAPT
7th Nov 2013, 02:23
It's quite simple really. Hope this clears it up for you all.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/rop133.pdf
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) | Immigration Department (http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/faq/index.html)
GovHK: Identity Cards and Right of Abode (http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/)

On the 2 letter code beneath your date of birth, the first letter, if it is anything but 'A' or 'R', you do not have the right to live, work, or study in Hong Kong without a valid visa.

To be legally employed in HK, and as far as the Immigration Dept. is concerned, 'A' (Right of Abode) and 'R' (Right to Land) are virtually identical. The only difference being, persons holding a 'R' code are not eligible to vote and can be deported if convicted of a serious crime.

Most expat folks first coming to HK on the CX ticket are all given a 'C' code on their HKIDs. Which means 'Conditional Stay' and if they lose employment with CX, they have a specific time limit to gather all their stuff and leave or else be considered staying illegally subject to immediate deportation.

Cheers.
J

CodyBlade
7th Nov 2013, 14:34
Good try mate, but trust me more Qs will be asked.

e.g, "Hello I am new here,is the Ab initio opened only to non-HKPID?:":ugh::ugh::ugh:

Bathurstwalla
7th Nov 2013, 14:59
Thanks jumpseatCAPT you at least gave a non-standard PPrune response. I can get the C card in which holder’s stay in the HKSAR is limited by the Director of Immigration.
I am coming to HK in January on a visa joining some ex-pat friends and have a teaching job lined up.

My question again was, in the last intake of AE and TT people, was there many HKID holders amongst them? Would having a HKID of any description be an advantage if AE and TT opens up again to international candidates? I already know the current stoppage is due to the immigration department etc etc.

This is info I can only get on this rumours website from people in the know.

jumpseatCAPT
8th Nov 2013, 00:24
From what I gather, people with the right prerequisites for AE and TT are ~90% from overseas, not holding a HKID card. Vast majority of HKID holders do not have the means or need to meet the AE or TT requirements since they can easily take the AB course if they make it past assessments.

So holding a HKID card would not be an advantage for AE and TT unless you're planning on applying for the AB stream. Especially if you only hold a 'C' code on your HKID, by which case, you will be treated the same as a non-HKID expat candidate - and only AE and TT will be available.

Hope this clears up your questions mate.

Cheers.
J

CodyBlade
8th Nov 2013, 12:36
How to issue a employment Visa to non-skilled workers?

Every country will has built in protection for born and bred citizens and hence voters.

Including yours.

PilotForLife8888
10th Nov 2013, 14:40
Hi all, I would say I'm like most or rather all of the other new comers in this thread, so I will skip all the drama.

I have read sufficient pages on this thread to grasps whats there to expect for the first few stages prior to interview.

So I am calling out to the applicants who are going to be attending the same Initial A on 18 November, perhaps we could gather earlier and discuss. I am definitely open to making new friends through this opportunity, and possibly helping each other.

:ok::ok:

flyer_spotter
13th Nov 2013, 01:11
Stage 2 on 25th Nov, anyone? If so, pm me. I have a few in the group already. :ok:

airborneloek
14th Nov 2013, 11:19
Hey,

i see you are going for the final interview in HK.
Is it for the Cadet entry or the Advanced entry? I've been waiting myself
for ages for an invite for the final stage.

grtz,

Loek

kelevra
16th Nov 2013, 00:41
Welcome to the Wannabes forum. Seeing as this is your first post, maybe you're a lurker and have been reading along this whole thread but I'm going to have to assume a few things anyways.

First, I'd recommend you to read this whole thread. All 275 pages because it does contain almost all the information you may need: past users' experiences, the old and new tests/system of the selection process, etc.

Lastly, please use proper English.

Good luck.

Cpt. Underpants
17th Nov 2013, 23:33
FWIW, one of the objectives of the interview is to determine if you're a good "fit", someone we could spend 8 hours alone on a flight deck with.

If you've concerns about not presenting well in person, you should address this if you really want to work for CX as a pilot.

CodyBlade
18th Nov 2013, 08:12
Absolutely concur.

Flying,SA,RT,technical skills etc can be developed and nurtured.

Social skills,IQ and EQ are built in.

PilotForLife8888
18th Nov 2013, 10:37
Hi guys, and Capt. Underpants.

I hope you don't find me as being impatient, but I would like to ask if there's anyone who can tell me how soon would Cathay reply to the individuals in regards to their progression onto initial B (after initial A).

I wouldn't want to make any assumptions (either way), but it would be comforting (sort of) to know that some successful candidates did not receive the invite on the day itself. As now is about 7pm, and I would imagine that they are working as any office staff, it would probably be tomorrow...

FINGERS CROSSED! :ok::ok::ok:

By the way, if there are those who were there today as well, drop me a message, would definitely like to keep in touch :)

flyer_spotter
18th Nov 2013, 13:24
You. Are. Very. Impatient. :sad:

PilotForLife8888
18th Nov 2013, 15:18
I know that I may be so - hence my initial apologies, for which I had stated in my last posting...

However, I don't think can blame anyone who is currently undergoing said process. If you do, either you are surprisingly talented or just looking for an excuse for a post...

You can say all you can - but when you are actually in the middle of it - there's really nothing you can do about it - until you get a response. So please, I'm not seeking unhelpful advice, therefore unless you have good things to say - else say nothing at all. A philosophy which I assume many companies have picked up for their candidates selection, and perhaps you too.

I know my faults, I do not need a third party to point that out... :=:=:=

CodyBlade
18th Nov 2013, 15:22
Wow, a bit like the character in 'The Bates Hotel'.

PilotForLife8888
18th Nov 2013, 15:46
Perhaps some of you might find my reply to flyer_spotter to be quite harsh, and I do apologize for that if you do. Well perhaps this is because of the anxiety that I'm currently feeling.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Well, cheerios!

plane-crazy
18th Nov 2013, 17:36
Well you sound like you'd be a joy both to train, and to sit next to long haul in a tiny box with little to do: no respect for seniority, doesn't take criticism well, lives in a fantasy world where others must say something nice or nothing at all, no patience whatsoever, gets "anxious" over Stage 1A let alone a jet full of pax, doesn't think to ask standard job interview questions... at a job interview. Also doesn't seem to know what an apology is as there are none in the former post, but even if there were, is yet to learn that "sorry" doesn't give a carte blanche.

And Pilot For Life (even though you have barely started...) being in the interview process is no excuse. You are not a special little snowflake. Many other interviewees - myself included - have managed to contain ourselves.

If you'd be so kind as to stop giving the rest of us a bad name, along with the txt spk ppl above, I'd be most grateful.

Well, cornflakes!

PilotForLife8888
19th Nov 2013, 01:11
This is what I was afraid of... and wanted to avoid at all costs...

I do not want to start a heated argument on this. Okay fine, should the term apology mean little, and you seek the term sorry, I am sorry for the way I may have acted.

I have seen and felt how terrible it is for a pilot enthusiast who is seeking information on this thread to have to read through numerous pages of such heated conversations between individuals. So please stop it.

Yes I know how professional you may sound, and I appreciate what you are trying to say but you clearly can't assume everyone would feel and act the same.

So lets just end this unrelated discussion on the matter and continue with the actual topic of this thread.

Thank you and once again if you are still unsatisfied.
I'M SORRY to all those who are apparently intolerable to matters such as this.

And Pilot For Life (even though you have barely started...)
And a reply to plane-crazy's post, well I do not know if you are already a successful pilot or not, but my name suggests that I am an enthusiast who wants and is ready to be a pilot for life, as compared to yours (well lets just not go there)...

jumpseatCAPT
19th Nov 2013, 05:05
Have patience. Except for stage 2, cx never gets back to candidates on the same day. Could be weeks or months. So just chill, grab a beer (or mojito), and relax.

Also try to learn to take criticism well, as you will be checked and criticized upon endlessly through training (checking) and flying. Everyone's entitled to their opinion (especially true on a forum), and your reaction to it or how you handle it will determine how others see you; as someone that is logical/critical or someone that loses their sh!t easily.

Cheers.
J

PilotForLife8888
19th Nov 2013, 07:40
Thank you jumpseatCAPT!

For both your response to my question and console. Looking back - perhaps my temper got the better of me for an instant. And there's also the fact that I am just beginning many things, one of which is posting to forums (for which most of the time I just am a observer) maybe I'm just not that experienced with taking criticism. I'll definitely reflect on that.

Now if only people were more like jumpseatCAPT (including myself) perhaps there'd be less meaningless arguments.

Serviceman
20th Nov 2013, 09:06
Pilotforlife,

Having read all the above, you really do lack patience. You really needa work on that. Not Joking. Stage 1b's results will take even longer than 1a's, so be prepared not to ask the waiting time for it when you are at that stage. Just try your best in 1b if u pass 1a, and wait PATIENTLY for your results.

Cheers,

Serviceman

NZ744
20th Nov 2013, 09:36
So, 12 months has well and truly lapsed. Yet we are still waiting. Having passed up a few sort after jobs here in Australia, I'm beginning to doubt I made the right call. Recruitment still can't give an answer. What's going on??

Cpt. Underpants
20th Nov 2013, 13:12
Do you have a HK(P)ID?

If not, then click the link http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east-wannabes/378978-cathay-pacific-cadet-pilot-programme-274.html#post8136148

NZ744
20th Nov 2013, 20:14
Yes, we've all heard the speculations and I'm not denying them.

The point is, having passed all assessments, interviews, 747 sim check etc and given a 'yes letter' well over a year ago, we are still being told to hold on for a start date. If immigration or other issues are the case, why can't they just officially tell us? If they had, I would have taken my experience elsewhere.

schweizer2
20th Nov 2013, 20:19
What speculations?

It is firm, no non-HKID holders until further notice.

Why don't they just let you know it will not happen any time soon? To keep the experience in a pool ready at the snap of a finger.

CodyBlade
21st Nov 2013, 12:16
747? just in time to send it to Victorville mate.

Cpt. Underpants
21st Nov 2013, 12:28
NZ744

Just out of interest, what is your level of experience? Hours, most complex/heaviest type etc.

I'm curious as to what experience this iCadet program is attracting.

Please don't feel obligated to reply in the public domain - a PM would more than suffice.

Launchpadd
21st Nov 2013, 15:11
Hey Cpt,

Out of interest do you know for a fact that the HKID is affecting all the SO streams (Cadet, AE, TT) and not just the Cadets, or is it just an opinion?

Cpt. Underpants
22nd Nov 2013, 00:46
It's a fact.

The training plans for 2014/5 have just been released and the numbers don't look promising for anything other than HK(P)ID holders - the numbers are so low that they can easily fill the courses offered without going outside of what the HKG Immigration department will allow.

wfscmgbh
22nd Nov 2013, 06:26
hi, sorry to interrupt. i was wondering if anyone is having their stage 2 of ab initio on coming 14 jan? (can't find anyone on this day, solo here.);)

Anthony_27
22nd Nov 2013, 12:22
wfscmgbh

when did you have your first interview ?

Launchpadd
22nd Nov 2013, 14:26
Ah that's what I was afraid of, thanks for the info.

Cathay Cadet Pilot
23rd Nov 2013, 15:32
Anyone going to have Stage 2 assessment on 13 Jan 2014? Maybe we can get prepared tgt :)

Arthur_Grob13
26th Nov 2013, 02:46
Hi all, I would like to ask for some recommendations on good reference books for CPL & ATPL. I heard someone said FTA is using Jeppesen textbooks, is that real?

Xcel
28th Nov 2013, 22:30
Hi cpt underpants,
Noticed your replies for some time on the cx wannabes. Recently you posted about the low numbers required for the 2014/15 training program. I've been on hold for the last two years. To fill your curiosity on icadet experience myself and a mate also on hold have 4000+ and 2000+ turboprop 1000+jet rpt and still losing out to ab initio cadets. Not just cx either. Industry wide companies taking no experience guys who pay their endos etc over low to mid level experience guys. Suppose 5-6 years you'd have the same experience but why not start higher up the tree if you have the choice... Anyway tangent/rant over.. What was your source? Lol

Cpt. Underpants
29th Nov 2013, 04:52
PM for you

Isaac Yu
29th Nov 2013, 06:30
Hi everyone,
i have read from some websites that cx cadet pilot programme requires some sort of ATPL MCQ test. Is this true for those who went through or is this for the transition entry programme? Will the technical interview also contain such questions? (I am a bit concerned about signing up because I don't have much ATPL knowledge, after all the cadet pilot programme is for those who don't have flying experience)

immune
30th Nov 2013, 01:20
anyone awaiting flight grading?

fly international
2nd Dec 2013, 06:15
hi guys
just wonder how long did you wait for getting called for 1st CPP interview? :confused:

Kips
3rd Dec 2013, 00:59
Hey Loeks,

Niks van die comment aantrekken hoor, goede en legitieme vraag. Momenteel leiden ze enkel mensen op met de identiteit van dit land; ook al heb je vorige rondes overleefd, het wordt/is inderdaad wachten geblazen. De situatie op de arbeidsmarkt kan dit beleid altijd weer veranderen, dus wanhoop niet. Sterkte.

ryan2124
3rd Dec 2013, 15:57
2 weeks ago I submitted my online application for Cathay Pacific CPP

4 days later they sent me an invitation to the Initial selection

I have accepted the test schedule, they have made a confirmation and sent me the JKI booklet and I have been studying

Everything seems alright, but yesterday they told me I am not shortlisted and will not proceed with my application.

Does anyone here experienced this?

I have no idea what happened and how to fix it. If I was rejected after the tests or interview then I know what I did wrong and what to do. All I could do is send an email to ask for a reason, but they don't seem to reply these emails.

ryan2124
3rd Dec 2013, 23:34
extra notes:
I was born in hong kong, I am living in hong kong, I am a permanent resident
no record of criminal offense, about to graduate from University

CodyBlade
4th Dec 2013, 08:32
What type of id you have? it has a 'C' alphabet on it?

What is your ethnic group?

ryan2124
5th Dec 2013, 04:10
I'm a Chinese Hong Konger with 3* on my ID card and have a HKSAR passport, I am just the most ordinary Hong Konger.

One possibility of the rejection might be my education, I am 1 semester away from my university graduation. Would they finally decided I'm not qualified because of this? But I see many people applied during their first/second year in University and are still shortlisted. I guess if they invited me then reject me, the reason behind should be some solid and factual reason, not my enthusiasm.....

Andrew_W
5th Dec 2013, 11:35
I don't want to make a guess on the reason, but I'm sure that they won't reject your application because you are just 1 semester away. The whole selection process takes months to complete. By the time when you get your final offer you should already have finished your uni.

ryan2124
5th Dec 2013, 13:02
Just want to see if it happened to anyone here, because Cathay itself will never reveal the reason.
I'm going to retry anyway. My preparations will not be wasted.

wongsuzie
5th Dec 2013, 13:32
I am a bit confused -you should be a HK citizen not a 'PR' as you stated in your earlier post.

greatbattle
6th Dec 2013, 08:41
He is a Permanent Resident for sure. No question about it. The real question is Why they changed their mind. You know, pulling someone in then pushing him away is bizarre. It's a huge bumout, specially when you didn't do anything wrong. Ryan2124, I would suggest you to talk to the assistant recruitment manager directly. She is nice and helpful. I'm sure she can give you a hand in this regard. I can give you the extension if you want to. Sorry to hear that anywayz!

ryan2124
6th Dec 2013, 16:31
I have tried to ask to an explanation but they just ask me to figure it out by myself, as expected, and I know this is what I have to do
Just it could be better if I can get some ideas from them because it is really an unusual situation

CodyBlade
7th Dec 2013, 02:48
Born in HK
Ethnic Chinese
SAR Passport
*** on ID

Yet he classifies himself a 'PR'.

Maybe HR is puzzled?

Massey1Bravo
7th Dec 2013, 08:36
Do HK citizens (HKPID) with a CPL + MEIR still get a look in for AE?

Also is 29 too old to be shortlisted? I got myself a business degree before getting into aviation.

Thanks in advance. :)

greatbattle
7th Dec 2013, 10:57
You know that AE and TT are currently put on hold don't you? so even if you have a HKPID, CPL & MEIR, they'll still make you sign on the Ab-initio course or ask you to wait for the grand reopening. It's one way or the other.
Nah. You are not too old for them. Just give it a shot and see how it goes. FYI, a friend of mine recently got out of FTA. He is a 33 year old married man.

pilotchute
10th Dec 2013, 10:33
As 2013 is quickly coming to an end we would like to take this opportunity to update you on the current and projected Advanced Entry opportunities with Cathay Pacific Airways.

As indicated in previous correspondence the Advanced Entry selection process has been placed on hold. We recently received the training plan outlining the crew requirement for next year and it has been decided by Management that the focus will remain on the Cadet Pilot stream and therefore there will be no Advanced Entry selection process scheduled for the foreseeable future.

I understand this may come as a disappointment however, if we are in a position to recommence the Advanced Entry selection process, we will endeavour to contact you. In such a case, further assessment will be required.

Should you remain interested in a Cathay Pacific Second Officer opportunity kindly keep us up-dated with your career progression including significant changes to your personal and/or professional details via the careers link at Welcome to Cathay Pacific (http://www.cathaypacific.com).

We wish you all the best.

Yours sincerely,

Paula Rousseau

Assistant Manager Flight Crew Recruitment

Telephone: +852-2747-8248

Decided by "Management" or the HK Immigration Dept?

If "Management" think that they can fill all the future pilot requirements by hiring Ab Initio Cadets only they will be in for a rude shock. A post in the Fragrant Harbour forum painted a picture of SO's struggling to make the standard for promotion to JFO and the training dept being stretched to the limit trying to do it.

I would predict that in the not to distant future CX may be forced to re open the DEFO stream to fill some gaping holes in experience levels. I wonder what sort of package will be on offer?

tkjpop
10th Dec 2013, 12:46
Per the company's website, both AE and TT have been closed! This is very frustrating indeed. I am a HK citizen with a permanent ID card, and have been trying to get into the CX cadet programme since year 2000. (what other choice, really). Fast forward 13 years, leaving my family and hometown behind most of the time, I now have over 2,600tt, 500 turbine PIC (turboprop), ATP, A320 TR. zero jet time:ugh: so even if DEFO were to re-open I won't be eligible.

What other choices do I have besides applying as ab initio cadet? KA? HKA? Jetstar HK? I have looked into all the biz jet operators here (Metrojet, Jet Aviation, HK Jet, TAG, BAA, Sinojet, Asiajet, Vistajet, Netjets) but they won't entertain me without time-on-type. I guess the easiest would be to get a green card, as you will be almost guaranteed a RHS in an airliner nowadays with 1,500tt. or goto China and sign a 50-year bond :D

CodyBlade
11th Dec 2013, 06:21
Quote from AAstock.com:

CATHAY PAC AIR (00293.HK) -0.340 (2.078%) Short selling $453.24K; Ratio 0.686% and Dragonair announced that the Group is planning to hire 2200 staff next year, including about 1,200 flight attendants and 120 pilots.

giuliohck
11th Dec 2013, 21:27
Background: I have HKPID, 0hrs, studying in Canada, joined ICF program before and I did put someone for the Cathay Pacific reference.

I submitted the CPP application few weeks ago, I realized that there were few special characters appeared at the end of my family name like this: XX***. I could not update my application because of that reason, I tried to email Cathay and asked for the reason, the recruitment department replied me with this

Thank you for your enquiry and interest in the Cadet Pilot Programme.

Your application is on our list of applications to be processed. We will keep you informed of the application status after it is confirmed.

Should you not hear from us in 4 weeks, please contact us again by return email.

Best regards,
Flight Crew Recruitment
Cathay Pacific Airways

I'm 200% sure I did not type/ see those *** when I create/submit the application. Did anyone experience this before? My friend submitted the application a month earlier than me, he has HKPID and did put someone for CX reference as well, but he did not get those special characters.

Thanks for the help!

jumpseatCAPT
12th Dec 2013, 11:21
Just relax, they already replied to you that your app is being processed. No point freaking out due to some glitch in their new HR system.

They don't tell you what's going on with the *** probably because they don't know either, OR they don't need to explain to you if its an issue with their computer system.. so chill.

J

Cpt. Underpants
12th Dec 2013, 12:30
No, it's a device designed to determine schizophrenia. How you publicly react to those three asterisks near your name will definitely impact on whether or not you're considered...

Stay calm and...

WORRY!!

For Pete's sake, chill.

giuliohck
12th Dec 2013, 21:09
Thanks for explaining to me.

I was kinda worry at the beginning because I could not update my application at all after I submitted it, but most of my friends can update it after submission. I guess I need to email the recruitment department if I need to make any changes later on.

schweizer2
12th Dec 2013, 21:12
Oh dear.....

You have to wait more then a couple weeks to get a reply from them? Bummer, what will you ever do..... If you want we can swap places, I don't think I will ever be allowed to re-apply, perhaps this way you will not need to play the waiting game and I can play it again.

But on a serious note,
Just continue as normal and when the time comes they will contact you. You have submitted your application so try not think about it too much and relax a bit.

cchoi
14th Dec 2013, 15:12
Hi guys,

Received an email yesterday inviting me to attend the stage 1a interview on 7/1/14 in Hong Kong after waiting for over 1.5 years. As usual it states that results of stage 1a will be received within two weeks. But strangely the email states that stage 1b will be conducted on the 9/1/14. Does anyone have the same issue?

I currently live in Australia, just wondering do all applicants fly back to Hong Kong for an interview? Also does anyone know how long it takes to progress to stage 2, will I need to fly back on numerous occasions?

Good luck to everyone!

giuliohck
14th Dec 2013, 21:27
I received an email from CX for stage 1A on 7Jan13 as well. You will know your 1A result on the same day or probably the next day. I think I will be leaving Toronto in the last week of Dec 2013 even though I'm still trying to book the tickets. For the waiting time between stage 1b-stage 2, my friend waited for 2 months after he finished stage 1b (it may vary!). I probably will fly back to Toronto and do some packing after ICAO english test + medical. Other than that, I will stay in HK for most of the time.

Looking forward to see you in HK!

DrakeSkyle
14th Dec 2013, 23:12
It usually takes 2 months between 1B and Stage 2&3. After that, it takes a few more weeks to get info on flight grading. If you get to Stage 2 you will have to pay for your tickets and accommodation as they are not providing it anymore.

Dreamlinerwannabe
19th Dec 2013, 02:45
Anyone going for flight grading in Jan or Feb?

DrakeSkyle
19th Dec 2013, 03:06
@Dreamlinerwannabe: Check your PMs.

Relampap
20th Dec 2013, 03:18
Anyone going to have stage 2 in jan 2014, would like to meet up for some practices, please PM or let me know. Thx

Relampap
20th Dec 2013, 03:43
Regarding waiting time for 1a/1b, personally, I got the invite in 2 day after the application, got the 1a result in the next day and scheduled for 1b. Got the 1b result after 1 week. Then know the Stage 2 scheduled after 2-3 weeks. And now I am going to have stage 2 next month. And I know they will tell u whether you pass stage 2 or not in the same day!!
My feeling is that they need more ppls recently so the waiting time ( both success/reject time) is much much shorter. Good luck to all!

cchoi
20th Dec 2013, 09:19
Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask what you will or have worn to the stage 1 test/interview?
Is it just smart casual or formal i.e. suit and tie? Any ideas?

Thankyou!

dolpinsky
20th Dec 2013, 13:57
looks like 2014 would be another golden year to get in
too bad i'm not yet ready

greatbattle
20th Dec 2013, 14:19
Imagine we're in a court room. There are two people standing behind the either side of the cousel table - The plaintiff and the defendant. On the defendant side, there is a girl wearing a mini short skirt, a tank top, who appears to be his witness. When the judge walked in n saw that, she asked that girl " Do you go to church or funeral? " The girl said yes. then the judge goes, "Would you wear this kind of outfit to there? " She said no. Then the Judge finally shouted at her, "then WHY ARE YOU WEARING THIS TO COURT!"

From "Judge Judy"

Cpt. Underpants
20th Dec 2013, 14:43
looks like 2014 would be another golden year to get in

Au contraire, mon frère

Very low numbers indeed. Don't believe what you read on the internet. Especially here...PPRumourNe

Andrew_W
20th Dec 2013, 16:46
They set a target for cadet intake every year but most of the time, the intake number didn't meet the target.

jumpseatCAPT
21st Dec 2013, 09:22
seriously dude? you need to ask what to wear to a JOB INTERVIEW??

why don't you show up in your birthday suit? they might just hire you DE.. :ugh:

MarkXLII
21st Dec 2013, 17:04
Does anyone know the career path of SOs at Cathay? I understand everything from SO to captain, but what are the promotions after becoming a captain and what's the highest position you can go? Thanks!

Cpt. Underpants
21st Dec 2013, 23:21
The way seniority progresses in the airline business is as follows:

Captain, Spider-Man, The Green Lantern and then...Superman. The only rank attainable after that is Cpt. Underpants.

Seriously? Do you know that little about this industry?

Do a little homework. Not here on the interwebs.

"The problem with internet research is that you cant always depend on it's accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

cchoi
22nd Dec 2013, 02:03
Sorry if some people thought it was a dumb question.

But in my opinion, for the stage 1a which only has the questionnaire and an aptitude test with no interview. I thought smart casual would have been appropriate. But by the sounds of things, I may be wrong.

japandwell
23rd Dec 2013, 04:17
Try Pilot Career Centre. They had some interview prep. That will cost you though! Do a simple internet search on Cathay Interview. Flight Deck Friend comes to mind.
Important to check the information for recency or last updated. Be careful what you pay for.

DrakeSkyle
23rd Dec 2013, 04:44
But in my opinion, for the stage 1a which only has the questionnaire and an aptitude test with no interview. I thought smart casual would have been appropriate. But by the sounds of things, I may be wrong.

I dressed for my 1A in smart casual and I wasn't the only one. Just don't be that guy who walks in wearing a T-shirt....:ugh:

...yes it really happened.

Serviceman
24th Dec 2013, 02:55
Really? People ask questions like what to wear for interviews? Even though your not seeing anyone in stage 1a, isn't it still common sense to wear business attire for any interview like this? Next time, think before you ask -.-

Cheers,

Serviceman

Pflight
26th Dec 2013, 19:11
I am still waiting to hear back from them I was accepted for the A program anyone know when this will be lifted

Pflight
26th Dec 2013, 19:16
Right after hearing this what to wear business I have got to say use your common senses!! :ugh:
You are asking a company to invest at least 1,000,000 Hkd. You can show up with a little bit of respect with at least a suit on and at least read through their website about where and what your going to train, for how long.
It is not a lot of work its all on the Web

DrakeSkyle
26th Dec 2013, 21:24
I am still waiting to hear back from them I was accepted for the A program anyone know when this will be lifted

What are you trying to ask? Please make good use of punctuation and grammar, its really not that hard...

Pflight
27th Dec 2013, 09:33
As that was my first post just simply asking about the AE program that CX did.
Obviously there was a typo.
I am sorry to see the way you reacted to a simple mistake.

schweizer2
27th Dec 2013, 10:42
He has probably reacted that way because you have asked a question that has been covered too many times, you are just too lazy to read the last few pages of the thread.

babygabe
28th Dec 2013, 03:00
Hi all,

Is anyone here going to have Stage 2 interview on January 21st?

MarkXLII
31st Dec 2013, 11:02
I heard that a lot of the pilots and flight attendants are friends with/know the celebrities from Hong Kong. I was just wondering if this is true and if that befriending Hong Kong celebrities is a possibility working at Cathay.

By no means, don't misinterpret this as a reason to become a pilot, just wanted to see if it's true. Thanks!

Bye Bye Baby
31st Dec 2013, 23:13
Know them ALL and they certainly have the ear of the recruitment department. There is a monthly meeting between said celebrities and the recruitment department, where applicants are discussed over a couple of cases of bubbly, it is not widely known about and kept very clandestine but it definitely happens.
Each has their own disposable phone which is handed out at the end of the preceding months meeting. It is used once and only once, on the 17th of every month a message is sent to each phone giving the address of the meeting with only 2 hours notice. The phone has then to be disposed of by complete destruction. Any member of this committee who fails to attend more than 10 meeting in a year or who misses 2 consecutive meetings is thrown out of the committee and is forbidden from flying on CX aircraft for a period of 2 years. Make no mistake this is very serious business.
In light of this FACT I would suggest you use all of your celebrity friends to aid in your application. If you don't know any then I suggest you approach one at the next gala or film launch and use the code words "I NEED TO SPEAK WITH THE COMMITTEE" they know what it means, will take a photo of you with their phone and using facial recognition software track you down. Next you will be invited to a meeting with the said celeb, take this seriously as it is your ONLY interview, you will be asked a couple of aviation related questions.
If this goes well you can expect a call from the recruitment department within the next 37 hours. Remember, and this is important, when asked if you would like to attend an interview answer only with these words "THE COMMITTEE HAS SPOKEN" and hang up you will then receive an email within the next 7 minutes confirming you have passed all the application procedures and advising you of a start date.
Good luck and remember THE COMMITTEE HAS SPOKEN nothing else.

jumpseatCAPT
1st Jan 2014, 09:22
bravo, pretty well and accurately portrayed :D

SloppyJoe
1st Jan 2014, 12:21
Bye Bye Baby.

You need to delete that post immediately! This is not the time and definitely not the place to be discussing such matters. You are playing a very dangerous game here, I hope you know what you are doing.

schweizer2
1st Jan 2014, 20:58
Bye Bye Baby,

Please stop sharing these tips on how to join CX... I'm having a hard enough time competing with people who are not in the know!

Dreamlinerwannabe
2nd Jan 2014, 06:44
Flight grading in Jan/ Feb anyone? Please PM me! Thanks :)

louann
5th Jan 2014, 10:44
Hello people, free to meet up for coffee and chat about the interview, chat about aviation? i am thinking HKIA SKYDECK :8

ka333
6th Jan 2014, 06:34
Anyone going to grading in early Feb after CNY?

flyuphigh1118
8th Jan 2014, 06:37
So anyway going for flight grading on 24 Jan?
Thanks

HK_Aviator
8th Jan 2014, 08:34
How long did it take you guys to hear back for the first stage, after submitting your application?

Dreamlinerwannabe
8th Jan 2014, 11:34
About a few days. It depends, sometimes it can be a month.

ALKC1007
8th Jan 2014, 12:58
Hi everyone :),

I am looking to apply for the CPP around March/April 2014 time :cool:. I have applied CX before in 2012 but unfortunately failed after stage 1A. So I just want to confirm here with everyone in this forum to see if recent stage 1A is still the JKI multiple choice test and the COMPASS aptitude test. :uhoh:

I also wonder if I am practising the correct aptitude tests from SkyTest preparation Middle East Carriers version 3.0.8 is what CX uses for their COMPASS test. Does anyone also know what type of joystick they use for the apt test?

Last question before people think I am too annoying :E, what is involved now in Stage 1B

Thanks a lot! :ok:

ALKC

kelevra
8th Jan 2014, 13:06
@HK_Aviator

Do you mean how long it takes to get an invitation to the first stage after sending your application?

For me and a few others, if you've read this whole thread, minimum has been 6 months before getting a reply/invitation to the first stage.

By "How long did it take you guys to hear back for the first stage," you mean after you have done the first stage, then @Dreamlinerwannabe is correct. Could be the same day or a few weeks till you get your results of Stage 1.

@ALKC1007

What's involved in Stage 1B can be found in this thread. Apart from COMPASS*, I don't think much has changed to the selection procedure.

*Before it was WOMBAT.

HK_Aviator
8th Jan 2014, 16:17
@kelevra

yeah, that's what i meant. i only read about half the thread so far, but i just wanted to know the time it took to receive the invitation for stage one for the most recent group of people, so i can get a better timing of when to apply since im still in school. thanks for your great help!

JHinS
15th Jan 2014, 12:31
dear passionate wannabes,

Any of u are going to attend your Initial B in Feb ?

Perhaps we may meet up and practice in advance ? :p

@ HK_Aviator

just a few words to add,

I am not trying to fool you, but seriously the process time various from days to months (even a year). So that's why people keep saying that 'Apply when you are prepared'. :rolleyes:

If you cant prepare yourself from your study, why dont u apply when u can?:D

lyc10
15th Jan 2014, 23:19
Hey guys, I just got an e-mail from Cathay to invite me to participate the initial A process scheduled on February 17th. Just wondering if all of you living overseas had to fly back to Hong Kong for it?

SloppyJoe
16th Jan 2014, 01:05
I am sure they would tell you where it was being held or does it really say February 17th and no location. If the location they have given is in Canada then as you are from Vancouver I guess you would not have to fly.

If they want you to attend in Hong Kong that does not mean you have to fly, there are a few more options. This time of year you could probably complete the journey overland, would need to find a guide to take you through the Arctic but once in Russia it would be quite an adventure with a mix of 4x4s and probably some eye opening train journeys through some spectacular countryside. Once in China I expect a bus or train to Hong Kong would be easy to organize. You could also try to make the journey on the water, some container ships offer spaces for passengers. Personally I think overland would be the most interesting although probably a bit dangerous at times but just think of the stories you would have to tell the interviewers.

Whatever way you chose I wish you good luck with your voyage and safe travels.

tomleung0117
17th Jan 2014, 05:00
Hi Guys,

I have been reading though this thread. but didn't find much detail info. about stage 2 group exercise / flight planning.

Are there any concrete example / sample question on that?

Thanks a lot!

pilotchute
17th Jan 2014, 09:19
Tom,

There is no such thing as an "example" question for flight planning or group exercise. The group thing is to see how you interact with other people. The flight planning is to see if you can solve a problem using your brain.

You cant really study for these other than maybe make sure you remember how to add and subtract.

real_yuen
20th Jan 2014, 04:30
Anyone is having an interview on February 6? maybe we can study together?

tomleung0117
20th Jan 2014, 11:04
Pilotchute,

Thanks ! And the reason why I am seeking for a sample question is to get an idea of what the context will be. So that I can better prepare / read more news etc ..

But for flight route planning , I though there will be a set of airline procedure that candidate can get themselves familiar with it ?

pilotchute
20th Jan 2014, 11:37
The flight planning exercise will be something along the lines of,

"You are conducting a return flight from A to C to A". "You are overhead point B and you have a warning light come on and you must land at the next suitable airport" What is a suitable airport? Well you will have manual and you have to decided what is suitable and what isn't. You may or may not elect to land and the next "available" airport because it may not be "suitable". You also have to think about curfew's and crew flight time limitation as well.

Get the idea?

lipoho
26th Jan 2014, 07:16
Is CX going to hire cadet pilot in 2014? Because when I try to apply online , there is no opinion for me to select?

captain.weird
26th Jan 2014, 14:08
Hi there guys!

Just hear from an insider that CX does need more than 2.000 pilots for the coming six years to crew all the aircraft, but the airline is just getting 100 a year.

What do you guys think CX will do now?

crwkunt roll
27th Jan 2014, 02:29
Maybe they'll stop making up stupid numbers.

NZ744
27th Jan 2014, 02:33
Well there are many pilots who aren't HK ID holders who were given 'yes' letters after passing TT or AE selection in 2012 only to be told in the second half of that same year that courses would be delayed for 12 months. THEN told after more than a year waiting and putting off other opportunities that any start date, if any at all, won't happen for the foreseeable future.

I know many who are now moving on to other airlines. Lots of these guys, including myself here in Australia, were already flying medium/ large turboprops or narrow body jets. Seems experience is not what cx desires anymore. The numbers to fill their requirements will always be there, but how long can they continue to scrape only the absolute bottom of the barrel for only ID holders before there's a hole?

CodyBlade
27th Jan 2014, 07:26
"2000 pilots"?

Ok, but where will these 2000 guys/girls sit? there are only 2 operational seats on-board.

Sue Ridgepipe
27th Jan 2014, 08:48
how long can they continue to scrape only the absolute bottom of the barrel for only ID holders before there's a hole?
You'll fit in well at CX with a comment like that. :D

HK_Aviator
28th Jan 2014, 00:43
When filling out the application, there are only 3 options: Second Officer, First Officer, and Simulator Instructor.

Does the Second Officer option = Cadet?

however
29th Jan 2014, 01:33
Hi everyone. I've been reading this thread and learned a lot from it, but something has always worried me.

I'm asked to put my marks for secondary education, but I have low math scores back in high school. I make no excuses for my performance back then. :ugh:

But since then, I graduated from university and have had diverse work experience.

Anyone might have an idea how much will my high school grades affect my application?

dolpinsky
30th Jan 2014, 00:49
hk aviator
seriously?

CodyBlade
30th Jan 2014, 03:07
HK avaitor's post:

I know, amazing isn't it..

In-fact kinda scary.

japandwell
30th Jan 2014, 20:43
They will definately go to the opposite most extreme side of what they do now. Maybe recruit DE and create seniority issues for people allready there.

There is a Chinese carrier recruiting for the A330 with American Basings. Would Cathay start that? Wouldn't help them much since the senior people would fill those first. You guys have a seniority system, don't you?

By the way, Does C402 Captain time at a US 135 operation count towards the Transition Program? Just asking since the stated minimums clearly state that it does, but I did hear that Transition really meant that the applicant allready flew for a regional. Glass, 121 and so on.

Just asking. I don't think that the Transition is returning, but I am hearing that Cathay may modify their future requirements. Who knows what happens in 1 year.

pilotchute
31st Jan 2014, 04:36
Unless your a local and getting your CPL paid for I don't think CX is a good option.

A guy I know who already had his CPL was one of the first accepted when they started taking HK ID card holders who weren't PR's.

He had to do his whole CPL and IR again (at no expense but a massive waste of time). He has only just got upgraded to FO and this has taken him more than 5 years from when he started at FTA. So the stories of 3 year upgrades to FO are all BS. The cost of living is 30% higher now than when he joined and I don't believe he has had any sort of significant pay rise. He tells me financially an SO is in a much worse position than they were in 2008/09/10.

So be warned CX. I would say once the 7 year bond finishes (might be 5, I don't really remember exactly) for most of the zero to 250 hours guys you have been pumping through in last 6 years, you will have a mass exodus that will leave you very lacking. Two years on type as an FO (plus the 5 years SO makes 7 years) will get you 1500 hours leaving outfits with better conditions and pay welcoming you with open arms.

japandwell
31st Jan 2014, 06:12
It is too late for me anyway. I won't even consider the Advanced Entry since I would have to repeat my ratings, like you said. The 5 years as SO would ruin my career since I am allready 45 years old. Career changer!!

I can't determine whether the SO problem is the union or the company. Which would you say? In either case, I just can't imagine why anyone would go to Hong Kong and waste 5 years as an SO when their are second in command jobs opening up all over the US.

What is the future like over there in Cathay? I haven't heard a single word that they will open up for DE FO. Locals only is obviously the way they are handling it now. Any word on DE FO coming open again?

wcy
3rd Feb 2014, 08:56
Hi mates,
I am now preparing for my CX CPP interview. I want to experience more about flying. I tried 1hr trial flight in AFTC before. In terms of cost & quality, where else do you suggest me? Currently I am in Singapore.
Thanks,
wcy

jetjockey696
5th Feb 2014, 04:33
Go to malaysia... nearest one to you is senai airport around 500rm 1hr flt time and 1hr Q&A with instructor..

athrun
5th Feb 2014, 09:34
Yeah try Senai, or if you're feeling adventurous try the numerous flying clubs in subang.

wcy
5th Feb 2014, 12:47
Thanks man!
Seems there are several flying clubs there. Is FRAS Flying Club good? Or which one do you recommend? :ok:

CodyBlade
6th Feb 2014, 04:51
1 hr FAM flight is not going to swing it for you mate..
More important is a proficiency in English and an organized and inquiring mind.

Stallone
7th Feb 2014, 15:23
Elite Flying Club is fine too

HF88
9th Feb 2014, 09:30
Hi all,

Got my 1a interview coming up next week. Been through this forum thread which provided invaluable information!

Just one main question, what type of questions will the Physics test (in COMPASS) entail? Any tips/recommendations on preparing for this?

Also, the online practice tests on the official COMPASS site has been removed. Does anyone have alternative sites to practice for it?

Thanks a lot

neeth21
10th Feb 2014, 00:07
Is this program open to international applicants as well? If so could someone please share the application link?

Thanks!

DrakeSkyle
10th Feb 2014, 11:56
Is this program open to international applicants as well? If so could someone please share the application link?

Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Cathay+Pacific+Cadet+Pilot+Programme)

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

jumpseatCAPT
10th Feb 2014, 13:11
Here you go mate!

International Applicant (http://www.airindia.com/training.htm)

:}

real_yuen
11th Feb 2014, 01:40
eric900,

The applications time can be vary (I have heard shortest in 3 months and longest more than 1 year)
But don't worry, take your time and apply when you are ready.
If you do not know which option to pick when you apply, which means you did not do enough research.
Don't waste a chance and wait for another 6 months or 1 year because of lack of preparation.

All the best :)

Cheers

jumpseatCAPT
11th Feb 2014, 02:40
Let me help you with something you might have learnt (or not) in your university learnings, it's called the Process of Elimination. It may sound like rocket science but it's really not, please stay calm.

There are 3 options, Simulator Instructor, First Officer, and Second Officer. Let's look at the first option: Simulator Instructor.
Simulator Instructor (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/about-us/careers/jobs-on-the-ground/flight-simulator-instructors.html)
A little snooping around on your potential employer's website yields miraculous results! Amazing ain't it? It says here that a eligible applicant MUST hold or have held a ATPL with preference toward folks with Boeing and Airbus rating. Also, have you heard of any cadets coming back from ADL and taking up a Simulator Instructor position? Probably not.

Now for First Officer, as an aspiring pilot as you call yourself, do you have at least a ballpark idea about the required experience level to even qualify for this position? Please, let me help you. (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/) Nevermind the fact that with Cathay, they are talking about a First Officer of a Wide Body jet. Do you think the cadets returning to HKG from ADL with <300 hours and a shiny new license even qualify for this position? Again, probably not (unless you're severely deluded). On the other hand, as a passenger, would you feel safe knowing that your First Officer JUST got his/her license? Think about it.

Finally we have Second Officer.. please do us all a favour and just Google it. If it isn't painfully obvious to you at this point, I'm not sure if you're ready for this.

Don't get me wrong, I like to be spoonfed too, but only when both my arms are in casts from being broken. Sometimes the difference between asking a meaningful question and asking a dumb question is one Google click away. :ok:

Cheers mate.
J

CodyBlade
11th Feb 2014, 03:40
Facepalm

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/Blade336/facepalmbear_zps7921d8ad.png (http://s920.photobucket.com/user/Blade336/media/facepalmbear_zps7921d8ad.png.html)

One day it come back and bite them..

eric900
11th Feb 2014, 04:34
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. I didn't mean to ask anything stupid in the first place. I do know that after all the cadets have been trained, they will graduate from the programme and come out as a "Second Officer". But the cadets wouldn't be considered as a second officer over the course of the cadet program right? Also there's something called "Direct Entry Second Officer"; I was just thinking if that was what the option on the webpage meant or I was just on the wrong page. I have already eliminated the two options - "First officer" and "Simulator Instructor". I was just uncertain about the "Second Officer" and I didn't wanna make any assumptions or screw it up. That's why I just wanted to ask someone who has had experiences applying for the programme.

Regards

CodyBlade
11th Feb 2014, 05:15
Since you are in HK I advise you to avail yourself with all things aviation at a very basic level.

A good starting point is the HKYAA an wonderful initiative run by a group of dedicated pilots.

By the way all those Qs you asked or are asking are basically answered with-in the pages of this thread.

It just takes some effort..

eric900
11th Feb 2014, 05:26
Yea I have browsed through approximately 60 pages of this thread and I've got some answers to some of my questions. Keep me posted guys if anything is new and up. I was advised to apply for HKYAA too but unfortunately I'm not in HK right now. I have read some materials like BAK and other stuff to get myself familiarized with the industry and the knowledge of aviation.
Thanks for the help.

japandwell
14th Feb 2014, 05:02
I haven't seen it posted yet. Jetstar was sued for charging cadets and basing them is Australia. Apparently Australia has laws against this sort of practice. I am relating this to the cadet decision in HK. Only loosely related though, since the laws are different. But I am sure the connection could be made towards PFT in general. Bad stuff!!

This whole PFT thing has been getting out of hand. Nice to see that something is being done.

Still can't get links to work. Just google it!!

needz4speed
15th Feb 2014, 11:00
hi there..

may i just know what about the guys with cpl and kind of 620 hours of grand total...?
as i read it there that they do have some package for less experienced pilots?
reply would be appreicated. thanks

kitcanfly
15th Feb 2014, 11:57
anyone got this kind of email? any idea about which task u failed? 1 task of Compass test or JKI? how long did u wait for the stage 1a again after 6 months period? Thanks

With regards to your initial assessments for the Cadet Pilot Programme, we would like to advise that the level you attained on one of the assessments does not meet the Cathay Pacific Airways standard required.

Your application has been deferred for a period of six months. Should you wish to re-activate your application, kindly contact xxxxx at [email protected] in six months time and we will endeavour to review your application, with a view for you to re-commence the Cadet Pilot selection process.

jumpseatCAPT
15th Feb 2014, 13:49
http://rampageproductions.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/picard-double-facepalm.jpg

The_Architect
15th Feb 2014, 19:06
Hello everyone,

I am a new member to this website and I am delighted to find such concentrated source of information. Like many of you, I have applied for and am due for Initial Assessment early March.

I can almost recite the contents of the SO Recruitment Section of Cathay's website....and their blurry booklet

Hope it is not too late to start reading these awesome posts. Best of luck to all!

Seawolf2
16th Feb 2014, 05:30
What kind of Maths and Physics are included on the Compass Test ?

Seawolf2
16th Feb 2014, 07:50
What is the the Job Knowledge Test in Initial A like ? Is it an interview ?

jumpseatCAPT
16th Feb 2014, 10:18
I reckon the kind of Maths and Physics are of the kind which is expected in a COMPASS test. It is safe to say that you should leave out multivariable calculus and theoretical astrophysics.

As for the Job Knowledge, I reckon this whole process is like an interview. The test would most likely test how much you know about the job you're applying for. Mate, did you even try looking through these pages, or are your arms and fingers in casts from being broken?

If you're having limb problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but being spoon fed ain't one. :ugh:

http://www.bloodygoodhorror.com/bgh/files/reviews/caps/vampires-kiss.jpg

kelevra
16th Feb 2014, 10:24
This whole thread contains the answers to your questions.

Those questions are also answered in the description in the page of the "Cadet Pilot Programme" on the Cathay Pacific site.

I'm going to be honest, so forgive my unfriendliness but those are (one of) the laziest questions that this thread has had.

This thread was created to share experiences and answer specific but slightly of higher level questions, mostly aviation related at the beginner level.

Those questions could've been asked early in the beginning times of this thread but, now that ain't gonna cut it, there has been very little changes to the selection process of the Cadet Pilot Programme since then. If there are any changes, we will discuss it.

CodyBlade
16th Feb 2014, 11:00
'Job Knowledge Test'

Q. So, what do you think a pilot does when he works?

The_Architect
16th Feb 2014, 14:16
This is a pretty good read I found a few months back from Reddit

spudmunkey17 comments on People who work for airlines, what are secrets passengers don't know? (http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1or6ow/people_who_work_for_airlines_what_are_secrets/ccuu8my)

"Passengers have no idea how complicated a flight is from a pilots perspective. Let me walk you through it.

We show up around an hour before the flight and get the paperwork. Is the weather ok? Is the forecast for the destination going to be above our minimums? Is it above minimums, but requires an alternate airport to be listed in case the weather doesn't go quite as planned? What equipment is broken at the airport that might affect these minimums? How about the departure airport? Do we need to plan for an airport to go to if we take off and have a problem, but can't get back into our departure airport due to weather, slippery runways, etc.?

How about the airplane? Is everything working? Certain systems are allowed to be broken. Are there any of those on this flight? How will it affect us? Will it change the weather minimums we checked out earlier?

Where is my first officer? And the flight attendants? I guess they must be at the airplane. I'll go there.

Nope, they're not at the airplane. It's getting close to boarding, I'd better find them. Called scheduling, they said that they are on an inbound flight that just arrived, but on the opposite side of the airport. It'll be 10 minutes for them to swim their way through the terminal.

I'll do the walk around while I wait. What's that on the belly? Must be hydraulic fluid, that's about all that is around there. Better call maintenance.
First officer and flight attendants are here now, that's good. But we're 10 minutes past boarding now.

Maintenance shows up and checks out the mystery fluid. It's hydraulic fluid they say, but it's old. They wipe it off. If you see any more when you get to your destination, let us know. Probably just spillage from when they serviced the hydraulics last.

Tell the gate agent we're ready to board. It's 10 minutes to departure time now.

5 minutes pass. No passengers get on.

A passenger is being wheeled down the jetway in an aisle chair (a narrow wheelchair designed to fit in the aisle of the airplane.) Takes 5 minutes or so to get him situated. The rest of the passengers file on.

Meanwhile, the first officer is getting our clearance. Bad news, there is a ground stop at our destination. We can't leave, and we don't expect any more information for 30 minutes. Not that we can leave in 30 minutes, just that we will get an update in 30 minutes.

The passengers have all filed on at this point. I make an announcement apologizing for the slight delay in boarding, we needed to have maintenance come out to check something, but we're all good in that regard. Unfortunately, ATC is telling us that we can't depart yet due to weather and traffic, and we will know more in 30 minutes.

You can hear the grumbles from the cockpit.

30 minutes pass, during which the first officer and I get the checklists done as far as we can, and get to know each other a bit. After all, I've never seen this guy before in my life. There are thousands of pilots at this airline, we don't all know each other.

The first officer calls to find out about the update. Good news, you can leave, but you have to be airborne in 5 minutes. ****. We're still at the gate with no engines running. Can we get them both started, run the checklists, and taxi to the runway in 5 minutes? Better have a go at it, otherwise we might miss our slot.
We scramble and get it done. We take off 40 minutes late. Not too bad considering the situation.

Halfway through the flight, we see a group of thunderstorms on the radar right along our route, blocking it and any options to the left of it. We as ATC for a deviation to the right to get around that line.

"Unable due to traffic" is the reply.
Great. Now what?
"Center, we can take higher or lower if needed, but we need a deviation to the right."

"Spudmunkey 17, uh, descend and maintain 14,000, passing 16,000, deviations to the right up to 20 degrees approved. Advise when direct to wherever."
****, we're still 2 hours from our destination. If we descend to 14,000 feet, are we going to have enough fuel?

A quick punch in the flight management system, and we do, but barely. If anything else happens, we're going to have to go to plan B.

Luckily, nothing else goes wrong, and we land, although the extra weather deviations and lower altitude result in another 10 minutes added to the flight. We land 50 minutes late.

We park at the gate and open the cockpit door. Various comments come in from the passengers ranging from the most common: an apathetic "thanks," to the occasional "this is why I don't fly your airline" or any other variation of it.
The plane is empty, and we have to start the process all over again for the next flight.

The problem now is that we didn't start it all 1 hour before departure. It's departure time now, and the gate agent is asking if you are ready to board. You haven't even looked at the paperwork yet.
So, you want to be a pilot?

EDIT:
I'm not looking for sympathy. I merely meant to answer the "what's something people don't know..." part of OP's question. People tend to think that pilots just roll in at leisure and hit the autopilot button. I meant to educate those people a bit.

My situation is hypothetical, the numbers are arbitrary, but the point still stands. This is not an abnormal day for a pilot. It's not a good day, but it's not a bad day either. Throw in a diversion or a ramp with no gates approaching the "passenger bill of rights" times for being "held hostage" on an airplane, and things get a LOT more interesting. Like we want to keep you on the airplane. Because we're evil like that."

-Spudmunkey17 October 18th, 2013

CodyBlade
17th Feb 2014, 00:50
Ok, I tell you what you do:

Memorize the entire post and use verbatim during the interview -they'll be very impressed.

"if the corp hires Monkeys you get peanuts"..Larry eliison

jetjockey696
17th Feb 2014, 05:02
Or just watch CATHAY PACIFIC SIGNATURE SERIES.. Cathay Pacific - A Day in The Life series...

ALL you need to know... about being a pilot and flight attendant in CX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp88MrLZFkc

JHinS
17th Feb 2014, 15:15
wcy:

I am also planning to do a trial flight,

but would you consider to fly in AUS/NZ?

I believe the quality there are better?

The_Architect
17th Feb 2014, 17:53
Here is the entry level series with interviews with cadets and Second officers

Cathay Pacific Careers - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/cathaypacificcareers?feature=watch)

And HERE is the abbreviated history of Cathay Pacific... most of you probably thought it is amateur videos of Kai Tak landings, but its in fact a very helpful short documentary

Kai Tak - The Final Approach [Cathay Pacific Airways] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSuz2ASIDQ&list=FLVXDZ-abjmeLds8Y7ZBlUkQ&index=1)

bb46thor
19th Feb 2014, 05:37
May I ask does anyone know if the stag 1a Compass Aptitude Test includes include mental math test? Also, what is the difficulty of the Physics test?

kelevra
19th Feb 2014, 14:39
@bb46thor

You are given a piece of paper to do your working. No calculators are allowed.

Physics difficulty is stated on the site as "highschool level." It's up to you how you interpret that. There are examples in this thread. You just gotta look for them.

Andrew_W
21st Feb 2014, 11:57
Answers of these questions are all over the place mate. Do your work before you ask any questions. Spoon-feeding is not an option for the position which you are applying I'm sorry to say

da_vichy
22nd Feb 2014, 23:56
Hey guys

If anybody has an interview on 27 Mar 2014, please PM me. We could learn from one another and prepare for the big day together.

da_vichy

lipoho
24th Feb 2014, 08:26
Did anyone submit application to Cadet pilot program recently?

louann
25th Feb 2014, 16:26
Hi I just received the interview date.
I would like to network if there is anyone having the interview on this day. We could learn and study together too.

Kindly PM me on +852 6213 5233.

Thank you D.

The_Architect
26th Feb 2014, 07:19
Are we allowed to do our math related questions on a written surface? Or do we stand next to a whiteboard the whole time in the situation of them asking us to draw?

I don't trust my mental math.

Schmidtdude
27th Feb 2014, 11:39
Hey guys, I've just been invited to stage 1B after completing my 1A just yesterday so I thought maybe I could help others out, so here it is:

Jan 28th, 2014: Applied to SO Cadet programme online
Feb 5th, 2014: 8 days later! Invited for a Stage 1A Interview (provided with the JKI Booklet to study from)

1A Interview:
- Multiple Choice test. Basically a bunch of technical questions, based off (but not limited to!) the JKI Booklet they send you, so study up on it and do extra research too!!
- COMPASS. This consisted of a bunch of different computerized tests, such as hand-eye coordination type stuff, basic maths, multitasking etc. The math I would say is basic arithmetic type stuff, don't worry too much because you have a piece of paper to use for math problems so it's not all mental maths.

That's really the basic gist of the Intial A process! Happy studying and good luck to you!

avi4pilot
27th Feb 2014, 16:23
Is anyone here going to have CX stage 2 on 10 April? Let's study and do some practice together

eric900
27th Feb 2014, 21:13
Oh wow, they called you back after 10 days from the day you applied for SO online?
That was fast.

The_Architect
28th Feb 2014, 03:18
Good on you for making it to round 2!

Do you mind if I ask when is Part B for you? How much time do you have to prepare for the interview?

Stage 1 is in ten days for me. Thanks for the boost! Best of luck to you!

Schmidtdude
28th Feb 2014, 12:23
eric900: 8 days actually :) yeah I wasn't expecting it either!

The Architect: thanks! part B is in 2 weeks for me, good luck with your stage 1A!

islandhopper10
28th Feb 2014, 19:18
Whats the news with AE and TT, any updates from inside sources? I'm aware there are a lot of guys in a "hold pool" for it already, but will it ever start up again? Anyone know the real reasons behind the local drive at the moment when the airline has clearly always been a fan of expats previously....?

eric900
28th Feb 2014, 21:16
Oh wow that's good. Good luck with your interviews!
Sorry didn't notice that I typed 10. I must've been thinking about other stuff earlier.

kycfi85
1st Mar 2014, 23:24
Islandhopper,

I am thinking they may want cheap labor and a bunch of button pushers, that lack real flight experience.

Juliette Alpha
2nd Mar 2014, 08:17
Yep, local guys that are paid the same as people who are hired through AE and TT:ugh: a lot cheaper...

Not an inside source but it is most likely to do with the current demand for pilots, ab-initio cadets take longer to train than AE and TT so if there is not a very high current demand then AE and TT will be scaled back, but then with the A350's arriving etc. they will need pilots in the long term so ab-initio is carrying on. Also, Cathay had been under pressure from the immigration department because of their 'preference for expats' so that may also be a factor as ab-initio is only open for locals.

Again, not an insider but I think AE and TT should open sometime around 2015 as the A350s are (supposed to) arrive in 2016

kycfi85
2nd Mar 2014, 13:03
Juliette Alpha,

AE, TT, and Ab initio may have the same contracts, in terms of pay and benefits, but haven't the conditions for cadets been on the decline? I've seen that referenced many times on this forum. This could have something to do with the focus only being on local ab initio candidates.

Seawolf2
3rd Mar 2014, 10:44
Congrats on passing Stage 1 A and good luck for the next stages.

Having looked through the thread people seem to mention a Physics Test is part of the Compass Test, did you have to do one as well, and if so what kind of Physics were prevalent. (i.e. Forces and Motion, Waves, Electric Circuits)

Thanks,

The_Architect
3rd Mar 2014, 14:38
The decline of standards is due to the reduced and targeted applicant pool Cathay is drawing their new recruits from (HK residents only)

Either that, or the locked out expats are getting butt-hurt at the new recruitment scheme and/or pay. I do have reasons to believe that, based on their current 'rate of recruitment' VS 'new aircraft introductions' they will open the flood gates soon and re-hire expats.

jackykiller
5th Mar 2014, 03:06
Hi guys, I am going to apply the cadet program next year. Is there anyone would like to form a group study? I am current staff in an airline. If you don't mind, please leave your email, and I will contact you.

The_Architect
6th Mar 2014, 08:21
If any of you are still wondering, the physics test was perhaps one of the easiest and most relaxing part of the compass. The questions are easy, I can answer them in less then 10 seconds, most require basic concepts you probably know from elementary school with almost no math. They also involve a little aerodynamic questions, which should also be fine if you studied the JKI.

Seawolf2- It wasn't so hard was it?

Jackykiller- Why next year? Why not now?

404 Titan
6th Mar 2014, 11:35
Some people think that there is going to be some dramatic increase in pilot recruitment at CX because of aircraft orders in place. The reality is far different. Between now and 2024 CX will retire approximately 70 aircraft from its fleet. This includes 21 x B747-400 pax and freighters, 12 x A340-300, 5 x B777-200, 12 x B777-300, and 17 x A330-300. In that same time frame 93 aircraft are on order. This is a net gain of 23 aircraft or 2.3 aircraft per year.

Now the kicker for all you wannabes is that the HK Civil Aviation Department has just approved CX’s new “Flight Time Limitation” scheme which now allows 3 man Long Range Operations where previously it required 4. This came into effect on the 1st March. Also all Long Range Operations that are flown 3 crew must comprise 1 x Capt and 2 x FO’s. SO’s will only be required on Ultra Long Range Operations to New York and Toronto and some A330 flights to Middle Eastern and Australian destinations. In the stroke of a pen the SO requirement by CX has potentially been reduced by 100’s.

Lastly it was asked when CX will start AE & TT courses again. TT is currently on hold as there isn’t the need for many SO’s. AE will probably never return as the HK Immigration Department from what I have been told doesn’t believe they meet the requirements for the granting of a sponsored work visa. There are two fundamental requirements that an employer must meet when sponsoring an expatriate employee in HK. The prospective employee MUST bring into HK a QUALIFICATION and EXPERIENCE that isn’t readily available in HK. Since an AE pilot doesn’t hold an ATPL because they don’t meet the experience requirements to hold one the HK Immigration Department from what I gather doesn’t believe they meet the requirements for a visa.

DrakeSkyle
7th Mar 2014, 01:28
Now the kicker for all you wannabes is that the HK Civil Aviation Department has just approved CX’s new “Flight Time Limitation” scheme which now allows 3 man Long Range Operations where previously it required 4. This came into effect on the 1st March. Also all Long Range Operations that are flown 3 crew must comprise 1 x Capt and 2 x FO’s. SO’s will only be required on Ultra Long Range Operations to New York and Toronto and some A330 flights to Middle Eastern and Australian destinations. In the stroke of a pen the SO requirement by CX has potentially been reduced by 100’s.

Does this mean we will see a slow-down or even a halt in SO recruitment?

404 Titan
7th Mar 2014, 03:11
Quote:
Does this mean we will see a slow-down or even a halt in SO recruitment?

If there is a lower requirement for SO's because of the new AFTL's then yes SO recruitment could slow down or even be halted for a while.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

CodyBlade
7th Mar 2014, 05:36
That's why I smile when people come out during Singapore Air show and say industry needs 50000 pilots.

Another pilot mill:

http://business.asiaone.com/news/sia-airbus-may-tie-pilot-training-programme

http://www.ctcaviation.com/news/article/ctc_recruits_flight_instructors_and_prepares_for_growth

http://www.toledoblade.com/business/2011/07/06/Demand-for-pilots-is-expected-to-soar.html

jackykiller
7th Mar 2014, 07:44
Because I am not ready, both English and technical knowledge

wcy
8th Mar 2014, 02:43
Just curious...
How does CX assign pilots to fly passengers aircraft or freighters?
Some pilots need to fly freighters because of their performance?
thanks!

magic_nic
8th Mar 2014, 07:49
is there a document abt the amendment in “Flight Time Limitation”?

404 Titan
8th Mar 2014, 23:14
magic_nic

I can’t provide a copy of CX’s AFTL’s as they are in a company document which isn’t permitted to be distributed outside the company. I would suggest though contacting:

Hong Kong Aircrew Officers Association (HKAOA) (http://www.hkaoa.org/public/home/)

Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department (HKCAD) (http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/home.html)

And having a read of:

“HKCAD 371 (Second Edition) THE AVOIDANCE OF FATIGUE IN AIRCREWS” (http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/pdf/CAD371.pdf)

This "resembles" the new AFTL’s that CX operate under as it was built around it but there are variations. Crewing being one of them.

The_Architect
10th Mar 2014, 20:10
Around how much does the company pay for the training of each new Cadet?

That include air fares, accommodation, ground school, flight training etc.
How much resource was mobilized for every cadet in the program?

I have done my searches in this thread and it suggests the figure to lie somewhere around 1.2 - 1.3 million HKD which cadets must pay if facing a premature leave. Correct me if I am wrong.

fozzi
10th Mar 2014, 22:52
Do you think this could mean accepting applicants for direct entry FOs in the near future (if less SOs are needed and SO positions are filled by cadets with no real flying experience?)

404 Titan
11th Mar 2014, 11:41
fozzi

Short answer, no. The new AFTL’s haven’t increased the need for FO’s at all. What they have done is to reduce the crewing requirement overall by eliminating the need for SO’s on the majority of Long Haul flights. Any shortfall in FO’s and Capt’s that may eventuate because of additional down route rest required with 3 man Long Range Ops will be made up by internal promotions.

The_Architect
16th Mar 2014, 16:59
Welp, does that mean a more rigorous selection for Hong Kong kids?

Or is it counter balanced by crucifying the expats?

How do you see the selection intensity now comparing it to a few years ago?

I'm having initial B in a few days and am already loosing sleep over this =_=

pilotchute
16th Mar 2014, 18:55
If your eliminating the need for SO's and increasing the need for FO's then you will have to look at DEFO!

If you halve the amount of SO's you have but the number of FO's stays the same where will you get the extra's from for filling the FO spots as they become available?

The_Architect
16th Mar 2014, 19:22
I think it will go down like what 404 said.

Internal promotions to upgrade their 'experienced' SOs so they become FOs. The new regulation allows SOs on fewer long haul flights, they will not have a shortage on either side, saves money and labor...

CPilotP
17th Mar 2014, 14:40
Looking for my wingman on 26/3 stage two cx interview
Please leave a message if you see this

crwkunt roll
18th Mar 2014, 02:24
Some pilots need to fly freighters because of their performance?
Gold! Naughty pilot.....:=

404 Titan
18th Mar 2014, 06:17
pilotchute

Local recruitment of cadets from Hong Kong will more than satisfy the need for SO’s for the foreseeable future. There are about 50 long haul flights a day that are potentially affected by the new “AFTL’s”. A reduction of 25% of the crewing requirement on these flights will have an effect on SO recruitment as evidenced by the fact the TT recruitment stream hasn’t been restarted.

The next step in this jigsaw puzzle is the renaming of SO’s as Cruise FO’s. Once the HKCAD changes the requirement for Base Training (Circuits with touch & go landings) in the real aircraft rather than in a sim, SO’s will become Cruise FO’s and meet the requirements for 3 man long range ops. Cruise FO’s will have the same restrictions as SO’s, i.e. no take-offs or landing and only allowed in the seat above FL200, oh and I nearly forgot, the same pay as an SO or if the cynical side of me is right, probably less.

real_yuen
18th Mar 2014, 07:35
Hi guys, is there anyone having their stage2 interview on May 27? maybe we can practise together :)

dolpinsky
18th Mar 2014, 07:44
is everyone reading "useful tools useful notes for pilot interview" from DCT?
how do u guys find it?

pilotchute
18th Mar 2014, 17:58
Titan,

With a 25% reduction in crewing needs of FO's then does that mean they will be 25% over crewed?

Now your saying that they will simply change the name from SO to Cruise FO then yes I can see it won't make a razoo of difference to CX. There will be some mighty upset SO's now that they are over crewed and the 4 years to upgrade to real FO might now be 6!

404 Titan
19th Mar 2014, 05:40
pilotchute

No. The 25% reduction in crew numbers only applies to Long Range Ops. We still have Ultra Long Range Ops and Regional Ops. The crewing requirement for these hasn’t changed except for some flights to Australia and the Middle East which were crewed by three pilots under the old AFTL’s and can now be crewed by two under the new AFTL's.

Regarding the renaming of SO’s to Cruise FO’s, this is my educated guess as an insider. Everything the company is/has done in the last 18 months indicates this is where they are going and yes there may be a number of pissed off SO’s if/when this happens.

Cppwannabe
24th Mar 2014, 12:57
Hi guys, is there anyone going to hv stage 2 on the same day? Lets study and practise before that!

The_Architect
25th Mar 2014, 03:21
Mind if I ask how long you waited since your completion of Stage1B for a response?

dolpinsky
25th Mar 2014, 04:54
Just wondering if cx's still holding stage 1A overseas, and if so do they offer u accommodation and air ticket to hk for the rest of the selection?? I know they used to do this when I had my attempt 2 years ago, but not sure about the situation these days~~

The_Architect
25th Mar 2014, 05:24
Despite that overseas interview is still an option on the application, I think it will better your chances if you show your sincerity by getting yourself back to Hong Kong.

I met another guy that flew all the way here from New Zealand during my stage 1, he said the odds of an overseas interview is getting quite dim, considering they now only accept PERMANENT HKID holders.

EDIT: Correct me if I am wrong: You buy your own ticket and pay for your accommodation, the only perk is you get to live in their hotel during the FEW days you are there for both stage 1 AND 2. It is a crammed schedule if you are an overseas applicant.

dolpinsky
25th Mar 2014, 08:45
That's great, thx Architect!
May I ask how're u doing now? Have they given u a notice for stage2?

The_Architect
25th Mar 2014, 12:25
You are welcome!

Its only been five days since stage 1B, or three working days.

I know I am not in the position to complain because some people take weeks to get a response, but the HR have been relatively quick for my invitation to 1A and 1B.

But still, the anticipation is starting to get me :{

How long do you suppose it takes for them to give me a solid response?

Cppwannabe
25th Mar 2014, 12:51
Architect, it takes 6 days or 4 working days for me to receive the reply from cx and you may probably receive yours tmr! Cheers Mate!

The_Architect
25th Mar 2014, 13:17
If that is the case and they say yes, I promise I will be your first study buddy.

Thanks for the heads up, Good luck! :D

DrakeSkyle
25th Mar 2014, 15:12
No news is good news. If you failed, they would let you know in a matter of days, whereas it may take up to two weeks just to get a confirmation that you passed, then another week for them to send you details on stage 2.

The_Architect
25th Mar 2014, 15:48
Ah yes, the immediate rejection.

I have heard something similar before, although we were talking about invitations to Stage 1B to be specific... any common practice beyond that region is uncertain. Hope you guys are right about this "observation" :ok:

Are you applying to the program as well? I see you in and out of this forum in the past few months

DrakeSkyle
26th Mar 2014, 03:03
Just waiting on my medical at the moment, had to do some follow up tests.

The_Architect
26th Mar 2014, 11:00
So assuming from what you typed, you are well into the process and ready for flight grading in FTA.

They took three weeks to get back to you?

SCadet
26th Mar 2014, 23:55
Hello all,

I have an interview lined up for CX and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the compass test was like and what specific types of tests you had to??

Many thanks!:)

DrakeSkyle
27th Mar 2014, 03:46
They took 2 weeks to inform me of my 1B result, and another week to send me information on Stage 2. My 1B and Stage 2 were almost 3 months apart, so be prepared to do a lot of waiting.

lasiked_pilot
27th Mar 2014, 03:56
Am i the only one that always get the message "System error: The online application system is currently unavailable, please update your application information later."?

I have tried all different browsers in Mac OSX / MS windows.

This situation has persisted for more than a month I reckon. Is the server down or am I rejected in a funny manner?

The_Architect
27th Mar 2014, 05:31
In that case, Thanks! Best of luck to you too in your medical.

SCadet,
Since you are new, I suppose I give you a heads-up of the culture here. If someone asks a frequently asked question they will get bashed to kingdom come := Assuming that you are logged in, you will see a "Search This Thread" button on the upper right corner. Do a little study first before asking anything unnecessary.

lasiked_pilot
Is it something major you want edited? Maybe you should e-mail them about it.