View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

haiger
28th Mar 2014, 09:57
i been having that error as well.

Make sure you are using PRN number not the user ID

:ok:

haiger
28th Mar 2014, 10:00
i applied online for the cadet program.

Is cathay pacific hiring global or is like what the website stated? HKID holder only?

Calvin C
28th Mar 2014, 10:46
Hi everyone,

Anyone knows who will have stage 2 interview on 24 June 2014? Please contact me via 6335 6240(mobile). We can practice together=))

22pilot22
29th Mar 2014, 12:39
Did anyone get an interview with Cathay Pacific for 1a on May 19?

lasiked_pilot
29th Mar 2014, 13:47
Thanks for the advice. I just figured out that the Cathay application system has some sort of technical incompetency. I got error message on the "education" session. I later found out that one cannot input colon symbol in any of the field OR length for certain columns shall not be exceeded.

Therefore if an error message is prompted, u better try another phrasing/ expression for the columns.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Cheers

lasiked_pilot
29th Mar 2014, 13:48
Calvin C i suggest you to hide your mobile no. in public.

The_Architect
29th Mar 2014, 16:05
There is no "interview" for 1a so no need to worry about it yet, but do dress nicely none-the-less. Have fun!

22pilot22
30th Mar 2014, 01:45
I didn't mean interview, I just meant the stage 1a my bad.
Any tips regarding that besides dressing nice.
I know I should study up on the book they provided, but any other things in particular?

The_Architect
30th Mar 2014, 11:27
::YAWN::

Sleep well. Prepare in whatever way you can think of. Relax. Good to go!

The_Architect
31st Mar 2014, 02:53
Hi mates,

If anyone is intersted in looking for a study and preparation buddy for stage 2 scheduled late June / Early July, feel free to shoot me a private message. I will be available starting Mid April. Thanks!

baozzz
31st Mar 2014, 03:08
Hi guys, does anyone here have cathay stage 2 interview scheduled on 23rd June? If yes, please don't hesitate to send me a message and we could prepare together. Thank you!

capt787
3rd Apr 2014, 16:01
------deleted------

BallyJone
4th Apr 2014, 07:40
i would like to join the study group as well. Could you plz watsap me via 67031469

Poynting
4th Apr 2014, 21:00
Hey Guys, I've been reading up on a lot of posts in this thread and I have one specific question regarding the flight grading for CX (and KA) - what is the exact threshold for basic grading? Some people here said less than 10 hours, some said less than 15, and some said below 30.

Could anyone who went through the grading itself shed some light please?

The reason I ask is that I am currently racking up some hours on a purely recreational basis. I would not want to cross the threshold just because I am an only hour or two over the threshold.

Thank you!

The_Architect
5th Apr 2014, 04:35
I believe the information you are looking for can be found on Cathay's Cadet Recruitment page, but just in case I was wrong, I have read that the threshold to be somewhere around ten hours.

However, if you are someone anywhere near or beyond ten hours of operation on a small aircraft, the flight grading (which is targeted at people whom have never touched a column) should be a walk in the park for you. :ok:

Nothing to worry about here

wama123
5th Apr 2014, 16:02
Im new here, who here has applied and is a HKPID holder? due to the new immigration laws in Hongkong it is quite difficult to get a job here thus you have to have a work visa. Cathaypacific however has now boosted its cadet programme to allow local guys to join the airline meaning only people with the HKPID can join. If you think about it who would want to join if they have 1500+ hours and be stuck as a SO

The_Architect
6th Apr 2014, 06:48
There are two things CX is trying to accomplish;

1) increase profit

2) increase number of local pilots in the airline (alright...maybe for the first reason afterall)

Before, when Hong Kong has little to no experienced pilots to offer the market, CX was stuck with paying A scale salaries in order to attract experienced expatiates to base in Hong Kong and fly their planes. Some people might say the Cadet Program (or iCadet) is just a cost reducing measure in the long run because it requires substantially less money to keep a local pilot happy. Thus the introduction of the C scale which entering Second Officers now receive.

With reduced pay, the abolishment of direct entry First Officers, and assimilation of every applicant upon entry to the company as Second Officers, those whom have racked up 1500+ hours and in possession of multiple licenses and ratings would probably look for a job somewhere else

f3k
6th Apr 2014, 08:49
Hi everyone,

New kid on the block here. Been a model aviation nut since I was 11 and do it full time but I've been wanting to become an airline pilot for some time now, but only decided to really push myself and go for it a month ago. Have done a bit of research on the cadet program and have most of the application filled out, now I'm just spending the next few months prepping for the interviews before I submit it.

Anyone studying for the interviews want to get together for a beer or coffee sometime and maybe study together on occasion?

Cheers

wama123
6th Apr 2014, 12:17
Depending on how old you are is also another consideration and especially being a HKPID is an absolute must otherwise you can submit an application and they will get back after they have dealt with the HKPID holders. I myslef am a HKPID holder and I applied for cathay pacific a few years ago and was accepted into the AB initio programme. Its always good for when you join that airline to have some connections with certain people in hongkong there is more of a chance of getting the job.

The_Architect
6th Apr 2014, 13:00
I gave wrong information regarding this previous post...

I believe the information you are looking for can be found on Cathay's Cadet Recruitment page, but just in case I was wrong, I have read that the threshold to be somewhere around ten hours.

However, if you are someone anywhere near or beyond ten hours of operation on a small aircraft, the flight grading (which is targeted at people whom have never touched a column) should be a walk in the park for you.

Nothing to worry about here

Correction: The line is set at thirty hours, not ten. Sorry about that.

Applicants below thirty hours will have four trials during flight grading to be taught everything from taxing to stall recovery, which they must demonstrate capable of performing. Radio work and communication will be covered by the instructor. Not very sure about landing....

Flight grading will be done on a Grob 115A (subject to change) I am not sure what happens to people with more than thirty hours.

f3k
6th Apr 2014, 14:20
Hi wama123,

Thanks, yes I am a HKPID card holder, from what I've seen so far I should be OK. I've skimmed through the aero portion of the Ace the technical pilot interview and have a pretty good understanding of it from my 'day job', but I am not familiar with most of the content in the other chapters so it will take me some time to go through them all.
Have talked to a few pilot friends but they are with other airlines in Europe and the US. I have half a dozen friends/customers who are Cathay pilots but I haven't spoken to them about this yet as I am not as familiar to them as the others, but I guess that is the best resource I have right now.

Are you still with Cathay?

Poynting
7th Apr 2014, 18:11
Hi Architect, thank you so much for your information, really appreciate it.

Would you mind if I ask where you got the info from?

This is according to a previous post. Basic grading according to your info seems like a harder exercise than the 'intermediate' below as it as less trial flights??

Basic Grading (G115 GROB)

1.) Effects of Control
2.) Straight and Level
3.) Climb and Descend + Medium Level Turn
4.) Stall, Steep Turn and Wingover
5.) Upper air circuits
6.) Circuits
7.) Final Assessment

Intermediate Grading

All 7 basic grading flights (G115 Grob) + 3 aerobatics (CAP10)

Advanced Grading

(3 flights using G115 GROB, another 3 flights using IGATE SIM (Kingair B200)

1.) Straight and Level, Climb and Descend, Stall, Medium Level and Steep Turn, Wingover
2.) Same as above + 2 Normal Circuits + 1 Flapless Circuit
3.) Same as 2.) + 1 Practice Force Landing (PFL) + 2 Glide circuits
4.) Basic Instrument Flying + point to point navigations
5.) Basic Instrument Flying + point to point navigations + ILS Landings
6.) Final Assessment

Rh927
7th Apr 2014, 20:11
Hi there will be 1A on 16th, April. I studied hard on the JKI but not sure which parts are the most important. I tried to memorize all 5x pages but I cannot do so in a month. I am start getting nervous. Also, there are many compass tests on the web. I trained my maths and eye-hand coordination but still a noob. I want one take pass. It is my dream and I put all my efforts on it. I want it as perfect as possible. Are there any ways to improve my revision or any things and topics I should pay extra attention on?

Rh927
7th Apr 2014, 20:33
I also searched information online but I afraid they will not be useful:ugh:

eric900
8th Apr 2014, 00:36
" I tried to memorize all 5x pages but I cannot do so in a month. "

I think you really should've fully prepared yourself for it before applying. Don't leave it until last minute. According to people who have done the assessment, JKI doesn't fully cover all the questions you will be asked; you should do extra research about their company etc etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

dolpinsky
8th Apr 2014, 01:41
"I tried to memorize all 5x pages but I cannot do so in a month"

I only had 11 days when I had my first attempt..

eric900
8th Apr 2014, 02:06
yea. I think 5x pages for a month is more than sufficient. Normally u could finish and understand 5x pages in a week or a week and a half.

The_Architect
8th Apr 2014, 07:40
This is a direct copy from DCTs booklet. You remarks about having seven flights was acknowledged.

"The flight grading system now divides into Basic and Advanced grading group. Basic grading group should have less than 30 hours of flying experience. You can rougly describe Advanced group is for PPL holders and above. FTA uses the Grob (G115) for flight grading primarily. If there is over demand for G115, the Tobago (TB10) is often selected as an alternative. The King Air simulator will be used for advanced flight grading.

Basic grading group is required to do 4 flights nowadays. (It used to be 7) The instructor will take care of the take-off, landing, and radio calls. In these 4 flights, the instructor will demonstrate taxiing, turns, climb, descend, stall, wingover, high level circuit, etc. in the training area northwest of Parafield Airport. You will be handed the opportunity to perform the exact manoeuvre after the demonstrations. Do not expect it to come out perfect if it is you first attempt in an aircraft. As long as you show gradual improvement in each trial, and satisfy what they want to see on you. Once again, if you do not perform as well as your expectation, just carry on with the next instruction and manoeuvre."

I beg your forgiveness about mentioning of the fifth flight...it doesn't even exist

dolpinsky
8th Apr 2014, 10:07
To those who have had look at the DCT "useful tools.........", do you guy notice that the technical questions they got inside are a bit different?

Rh927
8th Apr 2014, 10:45
I did wiki the company. I think I generally understand the booklet but afraid of missing some important things or searched useless information in MC. If it is essay, you can write what you searched. But MC once you searched different things, it would be useless.

Rh927
8th Apr 2014, 11:16
May I ask a silly question?

Is it important to remember all the numbers in the 1st 1A test? Or concepts are more important?

The_Architect
8th Apr 2014, 13:56
So far, of the few reading materials I have come across... they all taught similarly, but I just started studying two months ago and have yet to buy more books, so I cannot tell you how "different" the booklet is from what others are reading. But skimming though it seems to have answered a lot of technical questions that surfaced in this thread the past seven years.

I have no idea how well the book will serve me in the long run. Neither have I any idea of how diverse the technical questions will get in the actual interview.

It will serve well as a starting point of what to study and further investigate, but it should definitely not be the only reference material you use if you want to ace stage 2.

The_Architect
8th Apr 2014, 13:57
Concepts are always more important. Try to understand them instead of blindly memorizing everything they give you. Good luck for 1A! :ok:

dolpinsky
9th Apr 2014, 01:31
Totally agree!
Thx bro!

Rh927
10th Apr 2014, 06:57
Another question:

Which physics formulas will be tested in the compass test usually?

F=ma
d=vt+0.5at(square)

any formulas left?

The_Architect
10th Apr 2014, 09:36
Yes, you missed a very important one. But I want you to figure out which one yourself…

and here you go ^2 ノ( º _ ºノ) Don't need this anymore (╯°□°)╯︵(ǝɹɐnbs)

kl0887
11th Apr 2014, 19:57
When's your 1A? I've got mine in two weeks

wcy
13th Apr 2014, 08:41
From the CX website, CPP is 55 week long and we will gain CPL after the completion of CPP.
But I have a book written by cx pilots a few years ago. it said it is 60 week long, and we should gain both CPL & ATPL.
i guess there is a change in the programme. But CPL is really the only license we will gain?
thanks mates

The_Architect
13th Apr 2014, 13:16
Yep, I was looking for the answer to the same questions a few weeks ago. I used the search button in the same thread (unreliable source)

upon completion of the program, you will have:

a HKCAD issued CPL
~150 hours of flight time
~50 hours of simulation
MECIR
a frozen ATPL that will be thawed upon 1,500 hours of flight

Please correct me if anything is missing / wrong!

ExcaptainCX
13th Apr 2014, 14:40
That is correct you will only gain a CPL and a Frozen ATPL which will be unfrozen after 1500 hours. Also a full ATPL or frozen is issued once you are over 21

wcy
13th Apr 2014, 18:13
Thanks The_Architect & ExcaptainCX

The_Architect
13th Apr 2014, 19:29
I should know this but.... do you know any place that sell this book if I don't feel like ordering it online? Is there an English version?

kl0887
15th Apr 2014, 16:25
What other reading materials have you touched on? and if so, where can I get a hold of them?

I'm using the BAK textbook atm and its giving me a good insight into how things work. I've also looked on Amazon and eBay but everything seems similar.

There's also some useful apps that I can purchase on iTunes but i dunno what's more important.

wcy
16th Apr 2014, 01:46
The architect, you are also from hk, right? The books are 翹首振翅. They were published quite a long time already.

ExcaptainCX
16th Apr 2014, 02:50
Out of interest who here is 18-23 years old has over 5 hours of flying and/or a PPL,CPL

Rric
16th Apr 2014, 03:53
Any buddies around for Stage 2 on 26 May 2014?

kl0887
16th Apr 2014, 05:25
Do you mind if I join in even though I'm not even at that stage yet? Would love to find some buddies to study together.

The_Architect
16th Apr 2014, 07:42
Hey buddy, dont worry about other books yet alright? Stage 1 isnt demanding at all regarding technical knowledge.

However, I did regret not looking at the JKI and their website a little longer during the first exam (although I cleared stage 1 successfully), so study up and loosen the grip. You will get more information along the way.

THANKS wcy!

varundatta.hk
16th Apr 2014, 11:17
Hey

My date for S1A is on 19th of May
I am free for studying this whole month.
Give me a PM back.

Best Regard
Varun Datta
[email protected]

kl0887
16th Apr 2014, 11:37
Thanks architect!

islandhopper1981
16th Apr 2014, 12:39
Any more updates on AE courses from anyone with inside info? Year and a half now since they froze out the expats.

Hearing CX needs about 200 pilots next year and surely not going to be able to get that from locals only. Also aren't a few 777's coming early and a lot of upgrades filtering pilots up?

Just wondering now we are in the next financial year if the company is taking another look at recruitment for the next 12 months

The_Architect
16th Apr 2014, 13:27
Hey Varun, (and everyone else who have schedules coming up)

When you are attending your sessions, make sure to get the phone numbers and / or Whatsapps of the other applicants. It is likely you will be scheduled for the same day next stage if successful and it will make meeting up much easier.

I made the error of not getting their phone numbers and I lost permanent contact with some of my 1B buddies .: sobs :.

If you want an idea of what to read and prepare just flip back a few pages and all will be clear.

kitcanfly
17th Apr 2014, 06:43
Hi Varun
nice to meet u
i will hv 1A soon

The_Architect
17th Apr 2014, 07:38
How many attempts in which company have you made before? How far into the selection have you been?

wama123
17th Apr 2014, 13:56
Not to be rude but I suggest you brush up your English before the interview.

kitcanfly
17th Apr 2014, 14:07
Hi The_Architect,
how do u do
i had 2 for red, and 2 for green
i failed in the first interview...><
how about yr exp

Hi wama123,
nice to meet u
i will, thx
english is very important in aviation

kl0887
17th Apr 2014, 15:21
just wondering, to all the people that are applying now, are you guys local hk or just expats BUT with an hk id?

louann
18th Apr 2014, 00:53
Hi Rric,

I have Stage 2 on 26th May too. Wanna study together or learn from each other?

Cheers,
Lou-Ann

The_Architect
21st Apr 2014, 16:57
What does J K I stand for?

Sp0r3
21st Apr 2014, 21:01
They call the written test "Job Knowledge Test", so I am pretty certain that the "JK" stands for "Job Knowledge". As for the "I", I am guessing it stands for "Information" as they call it "JKI Booklet" (Job Knowledge Information Booklet).

The_Architect
22nd Apr 2014, 05:57
Gee thanks. Can't believe I overlooked that

Rric
22nd Apr 2014, 07:37
louann and VD, check your message box please.

btw, any other buddies around waiting for stage 2 on late may? we could meet up and study together!

GuesTWho
26th Apr 2014, 06:15
Hi,

I am going to apply for CX cadet program sooner or later, the one thing that's holding me back is my preparation. I want to be real prepared for the interview, but I heard the first interview doesn't require much knowledge in aviation.

Could someone tell me what's all the interview section is about? And should I study for the interview now or should I apply now?

Cheers!:ok:

The_Architect
26th Apr 2014, 15:01
Are you in college right now? Apply when you feel ready.

I have a few friends whom were interested and knew about the program long before I did, their speculation years ago CONTINUE to be a speculation today.

When I applied, I couldn't differentiate a 330 from a 773.... so just hop on the train when you feel comfortable (finished or about to with college, work etc. when time is more flexible)

GuesTWho
26th Apr 2014, 17:16
I finished college about six months ago haha.

What happened to you after applying?

And should I not worry about studying too much until I get into like the second phase of the interview process?

Thanks!

11lawam1
28th Apr 2014, 04:37
Anyones S2 interview in late July? And how should I prepare for my S2 interview? Thx

chris186
28th Apr 2014, 13:38
Hey guys just a quick questions

how many years does one has to be SO in CX before moving to FO?
I remember is between 3-5 years..

And SO nowadays in CX do relief pilot duty right? Does SO still considered as engineer or somesort?

DHV
29th Apr 2014, 13:29
Anyone one of you is going to have your stage 2 in the following days, please PM me. I have got 8 people already and they are also looking for more people to prepare together!

28/7
29/7
30/7
31/7

:ok:

The_Architect
29th Apr 2014, 13:49
Alright, I'll take the bullet here.

An optimistic answer to the first question will be FOUR. The answer nowadays pivot around an average of five years (it is the answer I gave the HR anyways) Upon promotion, a Second Officer [ / ] will be promoted to Junior First Officer [// ], or what local pilots call 二柴, not three strips just yet. By the time a cadet become a fully recognized First Officer [///] it may take anywhere between 7 - 9 years.

In CX, upon completion of cadetship, cadets will move on to become SOs in the cockpits of Long Haul and Ultra Long haul flights. In regards to other airlines, SOs serve the function of the flight engineer AND relief pilot.

So the answer to your second question is YES and kind of... The term flight engineer is slowly disappearing because historically speaking not ALL flight engineers are pilots. On most airlines today, the position once know as flight engineers are occupied by relief pilots, and in the situation of CX, they are called Second Officers.

Ever heard of navigators?

DHV
29th Apr 2014, 15:08
Are you going to have stage 2 in one of the date I have listed just before?

If yes, please contact me.:ok:

a.dillon97
29th Apr 2014, 16:24
Hi all,
I'm currently going in to my last year at an international school in Hong Kong. I am an expat but have HKPID. Can anyone tell me what the acceptance rates are like for applicants coming out straight of secondary school?
Cheers,
Alex

maserati6888
29th Apr 2014, 18:44
Hello all experienced cadets , interviewees,:
Will be attending the interview stage 1A on 5 May 2014.
Anyone just did theirs recently? How 'd it go ?
What was the other preparation other than JKI that may helped you out?
i found this website latestpilotjobs.com with subscription info, the questions are quite detailed. Just wondering whether any testimonials from you guys ?
[email protected]

wama123
30th Apr 2014, 04:34
Alex,
Cathy Pacific will accept someone who has just graduated schoop. The acceptance rate is just the same as for someone who is older. Generally if you have just left school they tend to look for people with flying experience such as a PPL or a CPL. It shows you are committed just as someone who went to a university

The_Architect
30th Apr 2014, 05:33
Fresh high school graduates have in the past been successfully selected.

However, an honest opinion will be to go to college first, one because it leaves a good alternate career option if you failed, second is that it increases your credibility (ability to learn) during selection. Your major does not have to be related to aviation.

DrakeSkyle
30th Apr 2014, 06:48
If you're a fresh high school graduate, you will be under more scrutiny, because generally 18-19 year olds are simply not mature enough. You can say they will be more strict on you because the risk is greater in accepting you due to your age, so you have to demonstrate that you are better than the other 26-27 year olds that are applying.

wama123
30th Apr 2014, 07:32
To be honest with you that isnt correct I applied at 18 and got in through the advanced entry 32 weeks because I had my PPL and CPL. For example the RAF accepts people from 17 and a half to 25. Airlines tend to prefer people for 18-25 because in the long run it saves them money.

The_Architect
30th Apr 2014, 08:02
To be honest with you that isnt correct I applied at 18 and got in through the advanced entry 32 weeks because I had my PPL and CPL.

Oh look whos talking?! :} Look at those qualifications

I'm not saying you are wrong, but it wasn't the best example to put on the table when the majority of us have little to no flight experience. Good on you though for making it at such a young age :D

wama123
30th Apr 2014, 08:40
The point im trying to make is people will get in with little or no flying experience but its like walking into a job with no experience you don't know how well it will suit you.

The_Architect
30th Apr 2014, 11:00
According to what you just said, even you agree there will be some uncertainties.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to persuade fresh graduates from applying, but hear this: It is a gamble.

Along the people I have met; on one side applicants whom have started preparing years ago, on the other, those whom are here because they heard someone is hiring a few months back. As stages progress the ratio of applicants from the latter diminishes.

It is not the best idea to ride a high school diploma alone into battle. You have a PPL so you are covered, but don't forget, it is hard to fly here in the first place, lets not talk about obtaining a license.

The immediate objective for a high school graduate will be to consider university education, however, applying for cadetship will mean studying and dedication. Lets say the selection takes six months to a year (from submission/ confirmation to flight grading) If one is rejected halfway, he / she would have wasted a university semester, a delay that could have been avoided if studying for three years for an assurance and secure place in the job market is too much to ask for...

Remember, pilots don't take unnecessary risks :=

wama123
30th Apr 2014, 11:35
I agree with your point but sometimes you have to take risks for example buying a house in hk a few years ago when they where cheap and now they are worth millions. If your not dedicated you wont become what you want to become. Its allways good to a degree so if things dont go the way they should its something to fall back on. But for those people motivated enough to become pilots they will put all their effort in to become one. Its not mandatory to have experience but it will get you that little but further. For someone aspiring to become a pilot a degree is good but in theory it is a piece of paper. You have to be a practical person to become a pilot and that is why I chose not to get a degree because I had that motivation to become a pilot.

The_Architect
30th Apr 2014, 12:14
You are correct and I agree with you on many points, I was just emphasizing the giant "If".

Best of luck to those who are applying, remember your life is in your own control. :ok:

a.dillon97
30th Apr 2014, 14:18
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the helpful responses. Thinking about what you guys said regarding dedication; I have wanted to be a pilot for as long as I remember and coming across an opportunity as good as the cathay cadet program seems too good to pass up at this point. Could one of you tell me how the initial interview process works?
Cheers,
Alex

The_Architect
30th Apr 2014, 23:02
http://i.imgur.com/DOu1akE.jpg

DrakeSkyle
1st May 2014, 03:01
In that case I will make a point as well. I just graduated high school last year at 18, and now I'm waiting on my medical for flight grading. That's how I know they will be harder on you. Just because I made it past the interviews, however, doesn't mean it was necessarily the right choice. Yes, it worked out in the end and I passed, but like The Architect said, it was a gamble. I gave up studying at UCSB for the interviews, but what if I didn't pass? I would have wasted a year. Indeed now I am close to wasting a year because of my medical hold up but lets not talk about that... My point is if you want to apply right out of high school, by all means go for it, but understand your chances will be much slimmer, and don't give up your university for it unless you're 110% sure you will pass. ALL the other 18-19 yr olds in my interview stages failed.

wama123
1st May 2014, 03:12
I do agree with that point generally the younger people tend to fail stage 1. However as I have said previously if you have a PPL with atlest 75 hours on it or a CPL the chances are higher.however university is a personal preference and some people aren't accademic enough to go to a uni. For an 18-19 year old with no experience its a shot in the dark for someone who has exper then it is like finding a pot of gold.

DrakeSkyle
1st May 2014, 04:07
The I guess it's all on how much experience you have. However from my experience, not having too much is a good thing, because if you have a lot of experience they will ask you really difficult questions. I have 25 hours only but I did a huge amount of self study, so even though they asked me basic questions, I was able to elaborate in-depth. I think the best amount if experience is just enough to demonstrate your commitment and passion, but not too much to the point of having crazy questions thrown at you.

jcslee
2nd May 2014, 04:23
Hi everyone, is it too late to submit an application for now?

DrakeSkyle
2nd May 2014, 09:06
You can apply whenever you are ready. The application period is open all year.

Cpt. Underpants
2nd May 2014, 21:57
TT to restart.

Transition Training (>1500 hours) is to restart in the near future.

Due to insurmountable problems qualifying zero time cadets to the line, CX has applied for visas for foreign, QUALIFIED second officer candidates.
If you're successful, the TT course (basically a HKG ATPL conversion) will run about 3 months in Adelaide and on successful conclusion, you'll be offered a S/O position in CX.

You will join the bottom of the seniority list.

Your salary will be the same as a zero time cadet.

You will be promoted in seniority, if found suitable for promotion.

Average time to JF/O upgrade is about 4 years.

You will be indentured (bonded) for 6 years for your training costs, currently about USD150,000. The bond will be pro rated and amortize with time served.

Details will be made available on the CX website in due course.

For those who don't follow the "Fragrant Harbor" forum (you should), CX is about to close it's Manchester base, making about 80 officers (captains and FOs) redundant. These are pilots, just like you, who joined CX about 6 years ago - in good faith - on DEFO and DEC contracts to fly the 744F out of MAN. WEF 1 June, they will be unemployed.

"Hong Kong's caring employer" indeed.

Rh927
3rd May 2014, 01:09
Failed 1A I think in the second part. I will buy a joystick to practice my hand and try again 6 months later. Pedal is too expensive even for a secondhand cannot afford it. Does the faa online ebook useful? It is because that BAK is also too expensive for me. Lastly, I want to ask if there are any software to practice my hand eye coordination with joystick please? This is my dream. I won't give up

The_Architect
3rd May 2014, 06:56
Maybe you should rethink what is it exactly that made you fail... don't come to a conclusion too soon.

Video games in general will do the trick, but this one combines FLYING + AIMING and I think it will help. Its for free, just make sure you have 10 GB of hard drive space.

War Thunder - Next-Gen MMO Combat Game for PC, Mac and Playstation4 | Play for free now! - (http://warthunder.com/)

Captain Underpants,

[PATHETIC QUESTION WARNING]

Tell me more about the Manchester Base closing. Why sack them? Why can't they keep flying to other destinations?

DrakeSkyle
3rd May 2014, 08:36
I'm wondering if anyone will actually take the TT deal. If you're already at 1500 hours, might as well continue on your way, why accept an SO position and get paid the same as a 0 hr guy while at the bottom of the seniority list? Honestly I think CX should be resuming the AE programme instead, TT just doesn't make sense.

The_Architect
3rd May 2014, 09:14
These sound like the expats a few hundred pages back who blindly accepted the offer, and are now butthurt because of… nearly every aspect of the job. They can be found all over "Fragrant Harbor". (what a nice name)

Cpt. Underpants
3rd May 2014, 09:38
Architect

It's a contractual thing. They were hired as DEC and DEFO onto the base pursuant to there being vacancies on the base.

Some, not all, will be accommodated on other bases (if vacancies exist), or offered HKG positions ON LOCAL TERMS. If neither is acceptable, then they will be terminated.

All of this, I might add, just 3 days AFTER bids for LHR closed. Nice.

islandhopper1981
3rd May 2014, 09:59
What does this mean for the AE?

Rh927
3rd May 2014, 11:21
I will also work on other parts of the compass test too but I can prepare other part by practicing maths and digging my physics book. At least I know what kinds of them are involved :)

icaruskwok
3rd May 2014, 14:01
Can I join your group?:ok:

The_Architect
3rd May 2014, 14:32
Rh: Its nice to hear that, patch up your English while you are at it.

Captain Panties: How many pilots are given a "chance" regardless of criteria? Are they just fishing for resignations?

kl0887
3rd May 2014, 14:52
DrakeSkyle

I totally agree with you

Cpt. Underpants

That is so mean. Just so mean of CX to do that after the LHR bid closure. Good luck to those based in MAN.

PR80HK
4th May 2014, 04:07
Hi I am new to this forum. I will be attending first interview with CX over the next couple of months (awaiting for a suitable date) and wonder if anyone has the JKI Booklet they can send to me via email so I can start studying it immediately?

CCA
4th May 2014, 07:29
Honestly I think CX should be resuming the AE programme instead, TT just doesn't make sense.

The answer is simple it takes 5 weeks to get TT guys while it'll take 32 weeks to get an AE guy/girl.

DrakeSkyle
4th May 2014, 09:55
I'm talking about from the applicant's perspective, who would take the deal apart from someone hell-bent on joining CX?

The_Architect
4th May 2014, 12:04
People who are here for brand and recognition before doing their research, only to find the actual package a different story.

fe_fkf
4th May 2014, 14:13
Hi guys, i will be attending the stage 1A interview in early June,
anyone will be having their first interview in June too?

If you are interested in preparing for the interview together, please let me know and just send me a PM! Thanks!

juggle56
5th May 2014, 04:14
Hey my interview (1a) is on june 19th, is yours too?

DHV
10th May 2014, 05:46
Anyone one of you is going to have your stage 2 in the following days, please PM me. I have got 8 people already and they are also looking for more people to prepare together!

28/7
29/7
30/7
31/7

crwkunt roll
11th May 2014, 06:39
Undies, you left out the most important divisive.... NO EXPAT HOUSING ALLOWANCE. A pathetic 10,000HKD, never to be increased by much "allowance". It won't ever be the same for EXPERIENCED worthy S/O's unless they stop coming.

cfdchan
17th May 2014, 12:11
anyone will be having 1A interview on 26/5?

fe_fkf
19th May 2014, 14:28
Forgivable Loan:
Each successful candidate will be provided with a loan in the amount of HK$1,100,000. Depending on their experience, each candidate will spend a different amount of this loan on the training course prior to joining Cathay Pacific. Once they join and successfully complete probation, Officers who did not use all of the money for training will be eligible to receive the balance in cash. The candidates will be streamed into three programmes:
• Those with minimal or no flying experience will undergo an ab-initio training programme, using up the entire HK$1,100,000.
• Those with some relevant flying experience will undergo an Advanced Entry training programme costing approximately HK$550,000 and the remaining HK$550,000 will be made available to the Officer.
• Those who only require Transition Training will spend approximately HK$220,000 and the remaining HK$880,000 ($111,127.98 CDN) will be made available to the Officer.

This forgivable loan will be deemed to have been repaid through 6 years of continuous service with Cathay Pacific.

Training Bond (oh forgivable loan) is taxable after the 6-years, 17% of 1,000,000hkd

Just googled about the package of an SO and found something about the "forgivable loan", the above figures might not be updated but there's just one thing i want someone to clarify, is the so called "forgivable loan" still exist in the current SO package and will it really be taxed!?

Cpt. Underpants
19th May 2014, 20:02
Yes.
And...
Yes.

pilotchute
20th May 2014, 01:38
fe fkf,

Seeing as nobody without a HKPID is being recruited at the moment, everyone will do the ab initio course. I know this as local who had 250 hours still had do the full course as there was no one else in his class.

Therefore the full amount will be put against your name with no cash in your pocket. This becomes problematic as when you go to apply for any type of "loan" having a 1.1 million HKD bond on you makes you rather risky!!

DrakeSkyle
20th May 2014, 03:41
Anyone going for Flight Grading 24th May - 1st June? I know its very short notice but it would be nice to know a few of you before going down there.

Anthony_27
21st May 2014, 04:46
i just got rejected last dec. . . . they told me that you have to wait for like 6 months before you can reapply,, so, in that case, would that be fine if a submit my application this week ???? thanks guys ..... ^_^

kelevra
21st May 2014, 05:58
@Anthony_27

I don't see any problem with submitting your application since it has been more or less 6 months since then. However, the application system will prevent you from completing or submitting your application because your information should still be on record and I think there's a timer on it.

I've been reading a few posts recently and, IIRC, the wait for invitations has shorten to just a few weeks, even days, instead of 6 months which I went through after submitting an application. So, just apply when you're ready.

I was rejected last year around October, been attempting and trying to improve myself since.

DrakeSkyle
21st May 2014, 06:00
That's interesting I always thought the reapplication period was 12 months after?

kelevra
21st May 2014, 06:04
@DrakeSkyle

The change was actually quite recent from my experience. I applied in 2012 and had to decline and they told me to apply again in 12 months time. I then applied in 2013, rejected in October, 2013. Got an email saying I can reapply in 6 months time.

CodyBlade
21st May 2014, 07:38
"This becomes problematic as when you go to apply for any type of "loan" having a 1.1 million HKD bond on you makes you rather risky!!"

Your pay before deductions is 10K what bank will loan you 1mil?

Talk about a liability.

hklovers
21st May 2014, 14:38
I got rejected in nov 2013, and they told me to wait for 12 months......

The_Architect
21st May 2014, 15:48
I don't know. You sound like an arrogant @r$hole....Maybe they wanted you to cool it off before coming back?

however
22nd May 2014, 06:10
I didn't pass 1A. The JKI test was alright but I believe I failed in the math and physics sections. I hope to retry in six months after reviewing those subjects. Meanwhile, does anyone have any suggestions for the most relevant jobs that I can apply before the reapplication period?

fe_fkf
22nd May 2014, 15:31
I didn't pass 1A. The JKI test was alright but I believe I failed in the math and physics sections. I hope to retry in six months after reviewing those subjects. Meanwhile, does anyone have any suggestions for the most relevant jobs that I can apply before the reapplication period?

sorry to hear that..just keep going and preparing!

How long did you wait for the stage 1a result??

kelevra
22nd May 2014, 23:48
@fe_fkf

First attempt, I was notified, I think, a month later and invited to Stage 1B. I think a month after that I got a rejection.

For my third attempt, I was notified by email 30 minutes after completing Stage 1A and leaving the building.

Edit: Actually, in hindsight, at least I didn't have to wait long just to hear a rejection.

however
23rd May 2014, 00:53
They gave me a reply by email on the same day I did the test.

The_Architect
23rd May 2014, 03:21
Wait...

Are you saying you deteriorated?

Are you still applying then?

kelevra
23rd May 2014, 03:38
Yeah I guess I did.

Not that it's an excuse (but it will sound like one anyway) but my first attempt was the previous structured selection process (WOMBAT, Raven's Progressive, etc.) and was just fresh out of secondary school (so "invincible" mentality and whatnot)

And for the most recent, it was the current structure (COMPASS, etc.). Also, I applied before having to drop out of university. So I'm guessing I didn't give myself enough time to prepare for it.

Planning to apply again. Just trying to get my sh*t together first.

The_Architect
23rd May 2014, 05:07
That mentality eliminated a lot of over confident applicants…

Now that you are out of college, what makes you think you can do better this time around?

(Im trying to help, please dont take it as an offensive statement)

kelevra
23rd May 2014, 08:50
Since the last interview, I've been trying to get into whatever workforce that would accept me and acquire whatever experience I can get my hands on. Not much success there but still persevering and hoping this behaviour can translate for the selection process and the cadet programme.

Would love to continue my tertiary education but as of now it doesn't seem to be in the cards. At least with the time spent there at least some of the culture of being student is still somewhat fresh and can be useful during the cadet programme. Unlike before, I will at least give myself sufficient time to prepare.

(Typing out all this makes me feel underwhelming and inadequate but no worries. I think I see what you're trying to do. Thanks.)

ae86kelvin
23rd May 2014, 09:18
Anyone can send me the JKI booklet? [email protected]
1000x THANKSSSSSS for your help!

sugizo20
23rd May 2014, 13:35
Just wonder why you find it difficult? Would you describe it a little bit?

however
23rd May 2014, 16:37
Basically, it's algebra. If airplane travels x, how much y... you get the idea. Since I've spent most of the time focusing on aviation knowledge, I kind of forgot to focus on math formulas, so I didn't know how to calculate the answer. I don't think it's hard if math is fresh in your mind, but I haven't touched math since high school (almost 10 years ago).

tms.anita
23rd May 2014, 16:56
Hi guys,

I am about to graduate in July and would like to use the summer to gain a UK PPL.

1) Do you think it would be beneficial for me to do so, in terms of getting through the selection process?

2) I applied to KA 2 weeks ago for their MPL cadet programme, how long do I normally have to wait for an interview? Is is harder to get in CX than KA, or do both have the same recruiting team (since both company are merged)

The_Architect
24th May 2014, 00:51
while getting a ppl helps in gaining aviation knowledge, it will rise their expectations substantially. Just because you hold a giant license doesnt mean much, as a matter of fact, if they sense any inadequacy from you being a PPL holder it might even hurt your chances.

KA as I heard is slightly more competitive than CX because they hire so little people. It takes them a few weeks to a few months to get back to you if you are invited.

DrakeSkyle
24th May 2014, 04:11
Apply for both! It doesn't really matter. CX is merit based and I think KA is the same so if you're good enough, they'll take you. Some people fail CX and join KA and vice versa. They will ask you in the interviews anyway whether you have applied for the other company.

sugizo20
24th May 2014, 04:47
Thanks. But the thing I'm concerned is that is it a mental math?

kelevra
24th May 2014, 05:19
During the tests, you get a pen and paper. No calculators allowed.

During the interview(s) with the technical questions, I think it's assumed that you'll be doing mental maths.

tms.anita
24th May 2014, 08:24
What kind of technical question will they ask actually?

is it like

Non-PPL holder: how can a plane fly?

PPL-holder: explain the how the engine run in the air?

The_Architect
24th May 2014, 16:35
No, its more like:

non-ppl holder
Tell me about the compression and turbine stages of the GE-90

ppl holder
What is adverse yaw? Why and when does it happen?

Good luck everyone

CodyBlade
24th May 2014, 18:01
No.

At this stage they want to know your English language proficiency.

Don't give them reasons to ask you Oxy-moron questions.

There is time enough to learn aviation topics later.

orangeboy
24th May 2014, 23:45
They aren't going to ask you to talk about compression and turbine stages.

They will ask you questions relevant to your flying experience and involvement in aviation.

I would say if you don't have any flying experience, then try and have atleast a BAK type level before heading in.

If you have a PPL, then somewhere along the lines of a CPL level type theoretical knowledge should be sufficient.

They might ask you a couple of questions that go beyond your level, but that could be anything, and don't be afraid to say you don't know.

Study and understand the basics before moving on. Studying the compression and turbine stages of a GE90 when you have absolutely no clue about the fundamentals is pointless and if the interviewer continually asked ATPL and type specific questions then they need a kick in the ass.

Use a bit of common sense.

CodyBlade
25th May 2014, 04:49
This is a good gauge:

If they talk to you about your schooling,very general oceans/geographic questions,aviation interests/ambitions -you are good.

If they ask questions about GE90 compression stages -you are in trouble.

Relax have and air of quite confidence and speak well.Remember it's the initial 30secs which determines..

The_Architect
25th May 2014, 06:45
Just expecting the worse at the moment

kl0887
25th May 2014, 20:50
I think the adverse yaw question is easier than explaining the stages of compression in the GE 90 right? Unless you're an engineering student, isn't this a tad too specific?

Could someone share your technical interview experience please?

This is like a walk in the dark not knowing how difficult the questions will be.

kelevra
26th May 2014, 11:00
kl0887

There are lot of examples of technical interview questions in this thread.

Also, just like what the previous users posted, stick to what you know but to the best of your ability, at your level, and a little bit more.

tms.anita

I didn't get to reach the technical part of the interview, if there was one in Stage 1b but an example of using "mental maths" that first pops into my head, that I found in this whole thread, is:

If you're at an altitude of 33,000 ft and you're descending at a rate of 3,000 ft per minute, how long will it take you to reach MSL?

It's just a math/physics question in an aviation context and then I'm pretty sure they'll add a few more words to confuse you. I'm pretty sure this is way too simple and there are relatively harder questions in this thread. Then again, add the stares of the interviewers waiting for your answer and the stress builds and before you know it, you forgot how to divide and doubting yourself if it's the correct answer. lol.

The_Architect

Ahh. Good luck. When's your stage 2? How did your initial stages go?

tinglok49727
27th May 2014, 03:44
Anyone will do their stage 2 on 27/8?
If yes, please pm or email to me:)

[email protected]

We can prepare together~

The_Architect
27th May 2014, 14:41
I have stage 2 scheduled for the end of June. I honestly dont know how I did the previous stages… I am a bad judge of myself, but I guess I did alright so to stay in the game.

My next few posts could contain ecstatic or heartbreaking news; I have parts of me telling myself it will be a piece of cake and everything will be fine, but the bipolar end of him saying it will be too good of a truth for me to succeed.

When I applied earlier this year I thought this will just be a game and I will fail on EACH AND EVERY level until… if I can… stumble my way into CX cadet. But no, I cannot believe myself that I have made it this far. I felt if I am to fail now everything about me will just breakdown, I am sandwiched between two inevitable possibilities that are EQUALLY UNBELIEVABLE :{

As a result of that I am just continuously bulking my knowledge in this area, but there is something about this mentality that I fear will backfire on me.

CodyBlade
27th May 2014, 18:46
If you are in HK i advise you guys to sign up with the HYAA.

You trainers are CX pilots.

Fisher5
28th May 2014, 07:02
Hi Tinglok, may i know when did you do your stage 1b and how long did you wait for the result??

All the best for your stage 2:ok:

however
28th May 2014, 15:50
Pardon my ignorance, what's HYAA?

kelevra
28th May 2014, 16:08
Hong Kong Youth Aviation Academy.

Thanks for the reminder, CodyBlade. I checked them out a few months ago and saw that their admissions weren't open and forgot about them until now.

The_Architect

That's how I sometimes feel like I'm going to get in. I'm just gonna go through the stages and fail them at each new stage I encounter and learn from it until the end.

Anyways, you seem to be doing good so far. At least you got past Stage 1.

massimodutti
29th May 2014, 03:45
Hi guys, is there anyone going to hv stage 2 on 26 Aug 2014. Please pm me and lets study together :)

however
29th May 2014, 13:25
I'm planning to go to the HKIA job expo at Wan Chai on June the 14th. Hong Kong International Airport Job Expo 2014 (http://www.hkairportjobs.com/index.php?go=1)

Anyone else want to go? The CX cadet programme presentation is at 3 o'clock.

kelevra
29th May 2014, 13:38
however

Count me in. I've been having bad luck trying to find a job since I came back from New Zealand. I'm willing to get any job at this point.

however
29th May 2014, 14:01
Nice. Anyone else who's interested PM me. Maybe we can all meet up there.

By the way, I'm having a tough time finding a job as well.

kl0887
29th May 2014, 15:19
I'm away during that time but I'd love to go since I'm trying to look for a job too. Let me know if you gather any useful info please!!

I'm trying to look for a job that doesn't require speaking mandarin...

Fisher5
31st May 2014, 11:34
hi all, i did my stage 1b around a month ago but still having no reply from cx. i realized that people usually get the 1b result in about 1 to 2 weeks time according to some of the previous posts in this thread.

according to your experience, did i fail? or still no news is good news?

thanks all.

lkof
2nd Jun 2014, 14:57
However,

I'm in too, pmed my contact to you as well. ok:

Gran_Turismo
2nd Jun 2014, 18:57
I have waited for a solid two-month period before receiving any notification from CX after my stage 1B. They asked me to submit some medical records even I had an valid Class 1 Medical.

So, be patient and wait.

lkof
3rd Jun 2014, 04:02
Seems like they are in rush to recruit the cadets. I submited my application on 29th May and they sent the invitation back on the same day.

The HR ladies are working so efficiently! :ok:

kelevra
3rd Jun 2014, 04:10
Whoa. Yeah, the waiting times have been shorter and shorter now. That's actually a little scary, especially if you're thinking of preparing during the waiting time.

When's your Stage 1A scheduled for?

lkof
3rd Jun 2014, 06:10
My 1A is scheduled on 22nd July. I've got to speed up my study since there isn't much time left. Honestly I don't feel completely comfortable due to the limited time for preparation.

I was shocked when I first received the email:ugh:. In fact I was expecting my application to fall into next batch, somehow they have managed to squeeze some space for me. Salute to the hard-working HR ladies:ok:

The_Architect
3rd Jun 2014, 06:32
Interesting, I just checked your post history and I can see that you made it to AT in KA… You are telling me you done all that without any studies before hand?

lkof
3rd Jun 2014, 08:49
It wasn’t a successful try for the AT in KA because I scored badly in the 3in1 test. That’s what worries me. I have done some studies like the BAK and Ace the Technical Pilot Interview, but it isn’t enough as these are just thefundamentals, everyone knows that. After all, It’s always better to know and practicemore. :rolleyes:

By the way, here is an interesting blog in Chinese explaining some basics inaviation and Xplane 10. I found it quite helpful to understand general ideas.Hope it helps:

?????????????? (http://yinlei.org/x-plane10/)

pilotchute
3rd Jun 2014, 12:17
Guys the reason the wait times are getting shorter is because they are running out of applicants who have the minimum requirements to apply.

The only avenue of entry now is for Ab-Initio HKPID card holder. No AE or TT for a while now.

Get in while you can because they will have to open up to foreigners again in the near future. Once that happens it will go back to waiting months, not weeks.

The_Architect
3rd Jun 2014, 13:04
You said you read BAK and Pilots Guide yadi yadi ya

1A job knowledge test should be a walk in the park for you. A little patch here and there should be good to go

Cpt. Underpants
3rd Jun 2014, 18:17
Guys the reason the wait times are getting shorter is because they are running out of applicants who have the minimum requirements to apply.

Not true. The reason that CX is going back to the TT option is the extraordinary drain on training resources that a full course cadet has been taking (on average). We are running out of trainers, simulator time and money getting zero-to-hero candidates onto the line.

As an aside, the APTITUDE is another area of concern; failures are off the clock and disciplinary issues at a high.

In short ; we need PILOTS, not MS FS experts.

Get out there guys, and GET A LICENSE, for pity's sake.

rhino88
4th Jun 2014, 09:48
Cpt. Underpants,

When you talk about the aptitude are you referring to the Stage 1A test?

R

CodyBlade
4th Jun 2014, 13:24
Get in while you can because they will have to open up to foreigners again in the near future

For Ab Initio its not 'their' decision to exercise but Gov and Immigration dept.

The issue was what Visa category they will be employed under.

i.e no skills no Visa, simple.

HunGJaI
4th Jun 2014, 17:09
Has anyone heard of FTA Assessment before?

Frederician
6th Jun 2014, 18:17
Hi however,

I'm in as well. I'm getting prepared for my initio a that is going to happen in 2 weeks time. But still interested to hear what CX get to speak.

pm you my email address.

Look forward to meeting you folks soon!:O

harrison1103
7th Jun 2014, 14:42
I would like to go either but i have a trip
Can you send me some info after the exhibition?

pongg51
8th Jun 2014, 02:33
Hi guys,

As a non Hong Kong citizen cum PR is it still possible to apply for cadet pilot (ab initio)? Last I checked they only wants citizens or PR. How can I apply to be a cadet? Under the website currently there are no more vacancies for cadet. Help please! Thanks!

kelevra
8th Jun 2014, 13:15
pongg51

Please link me to the website. I would like to know where and what you are reading.

Frederician
8th Jun 2014, 20:51
You would have to browse the web site through HK server, in another words, go to www.cathaypacific.com/hk‎, in order to get into the career sector. I tried with the Aussie server once and no vacancy was shown neither.

Hope that helps. Good luck.:)

poohlala
8th Jun 2014, 20:52
I just got my 1a interview invitation a few days ago.

HR called me while I was still sleeping in bed and I thought she was calling from "Pacific coffee" instead of "Cathay Pacific" LMAO :O:O:O

the interview is by the end of next month.

Gotta get prepared!!

pineappledaz
9th Jun 2014, 04:42
Captain underpants about to lose your hair are you, hmm?

Pilot, give you, I can. Aptitude, give you, I can. Discipline, give you, I can.

Enough 500 hours not. Hmmmmmm.

Permanent resident, not, am I. Hmmmmmm

PineappleYoda

Cpt. Underpants
9th Jun 2014, 06:51
And right there, one post above this, is 99% of the problem.

Please try and separate fantasy from reality. Really??

pineappledaz
9th Jun 2014, 07:15
Have I upset you Captain? or were you referring to the post above mine?

CodyBlade
9th Jun 2014, 11:57
As I've said with these idiots we have become a Single Pilot Ops.

alfreeli
9th Jun 2014, 12:27
nice blog.
Are you a HK citizen buddy?

pilotchute
10th Jun 2014, 13:12
Capt Pants,

Its funny you know, I have been waiting for flight grading for 18 months now. I have nearly 2000 hours total time and already posses a 320 rating (no jet time though).

Seems I'm exactly what your looking for!!!!

Doesn't mean you will get me though.

Hahahaha

pilotchute
10th Jun 2014, 13:16
Oh I forgot.

These people that continue to fail. Do they get the ass or do they just keep on persisting until they get the ticks in the boxes?

The_Architect
10th Jun 2014, 15:11
Would you not?

pilotchute
10th Jun 2014, 22:31
Architect,

One thing that companies don't like doing is "wasting money". Once you have invested some much time and effort into training someone it becomes harder and harder to get rid of them the further down the training pipeline you go. You get a mentality of not being able to fail them because upper management would then start asking why the person had gotten so far without being failed earlier. This situation just snow balls and people will eventually just get "let through".

I have no idea if this is happening at CX but it wouldn't surprise me. Once management start calling the shots on training is when you airline starts going downhill fast.

Cpt. Underpants
10th Jun 2014, 23:52
Chute

Cathay never (never) lets things "slide". I could list, literally, dozens of individuals who were let go after continuos underperformance.

Although a lot has changed in the past two decades, standards haven't.

Cathay has deep pockets, but the one thing they can't afford is a smoking hole with a Cathay tail in it. No airline can afford it.

pilotchute
11th Jun 2014, 10:12
Well I'm glad to hear that some things haven't changed.

I have never heard of anyone being "let go" from CX for under performance. I suppose up until a few years ago you had your pick or the best people so a "training failure" wouldn't have happened very often?

fabric
13th Jun 2014, 12:54
hi, I will be having my stage 2 interview on 24th sept. for those who will have it on the same day, and would like to meet up for a chat/ some studying please feel free to message me.

DrakeSkyle
14th Jun 2014, 09:48
Nice to have met you guys today, best of luck to lkof and frederician for your upcoming 1As!

rxsazabi
14th Jun 2014, 13:03
I just re applied after yesterday hk expo, just wondering how long does it take to hear from them? 3 years ago when I applied it took almost 1 year before they called me for the compass test. :(

Gran_Turismo
14th Jun 2014, 14:15
fabric, I got the same schedule as yours! Would love to grab a coffee or something with you to share some insights for stage 2!

The_Architect
14th Jun 2014, 15:49
Weeks, days, or even hours...

ProPwannabe
15th Jun 2014, 21:47
yes yes yes! 1a tests next week monday! I feel a need, a need for speed!

DrakeSkyle
17th Jun 2014, 01:46
Well, got a thumbs up this morning from HR for CP65. Any fellow wannabes in my class here?

mast000
17th Jun 2014, 05:19
may i know how long it takes to hear from the HR on each stage to the next?

DavMorgan
17th Jun 2014, 06:31
Congrats!!! When do u start?

The_Architect
17th Jun 2014, 07:03
Congratulations Drake, I wonder how many stalkers I have:}

CaptainLimbu
17th Jun 2014, 11:54
Anyone up for stage 1a at the end of next month (July)

DrakeSkyle
17th Jun 2014, 15:07
Thanks everyone! CP65 starts June 30th. Now the real hard work starts!

DrakeSkyle
17th Jun 2014, 15:20
So....who am I? ;)

Frederician
17th Jun 2014, 22:42
Bravo! Congrats to you!!!:D

kl0887
17th Jun 2014, 22:55
Congratulations Drake! Massive well done!

dolpinsky
18th Jun 2014, 00:14
30th june?
wow the course starts 2 weeks after u guys receive the yes call!

lkof
18th Jun 2014, 01:48
You made it!!! Congratulations!!:D:D:D

Thank you for bringing up the good news, this actually made my day. Have a blast in Adelaide!

ProPwannabe
18th Jun 2014, 20:08
For those who have a PPL or above, and are preparing for the selections. PM me.

DrakeSkyle
19th Jun 2014, 06:46
I'm one of the last guys on the course, the other guys got the call in April or May. Looks like they just managed to squeeze me in, providing that I could get my visa done in time.

bobomdpilot
19th Jun 2014, 08:06
Hi there, anyone having Stage 2 on 24/9?

pls add Bobo Somerhalder on facebook or message for contact!

Good luck!

however
19th Jun 2014, 10:03
So happy for you!:D

puckhead
21st Jun 2014, 18:07
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions about Cathay's hiring plans if anyone has a minute to help me out. About a month ago I had a Cathay captain come up front and say hi as we were getting ready to go to JFK. He mentioned that Cathay was ending its policy of hiring people with zero time and going back to hiring direct entry SO's. Is that true?

The thing that has kept me from applying has been the zero housing assistance. From what I hear it's pretty tough to make it without any help.

Does the salary differ for people coming in with experience? What could you expect initially and is there any plans for housing assistance again?

Thanks for any help! I know that's probably a hot button issue but he did peak my curiousity.

sugizo20
22nd Jun 2014, 04:35
This is daunting. Can anyone confirm?

SMOC
22nd Jun 2014, 15:09
He mentioned that Cathay was ending its policy of hiring people with zero time and going back to hiring direct entry SO's. Is that true?

NO.

What he should have said is they are short of pilots so have opened all the entry streams, previously it was just the cadet pilot programme. Recruitment may be putting a priority on the TT stream giving the impression the other stream have stopped.

Cadet Pilot Programme

Our 55-week programme offers opportunities to Permanent Hong Kong ID card holders who aspire to be aviators. Training includes 160 hours of day and night flying in single and twin-engine light aircraft, as well as classroom learning and 40 hours of simulator training. To learn more about what’s involved, visit our Cadet Pilot website.

Advanced Entry Programme

This is a 32-week programme for people who possess an ICAO CPL and have in excess of 250 hours flight time in specified categories.

Transition Training Programme

Already have significant experience in the air? Our five-week programme is designed for pilots who posses an ICAO ATPL and have a minimum of 1500 hours total time, including 500 hours multi-engine time with a MTOW greater than 2000kg.

Does the salary differ for people coming in with experience?

NO

However there is a sort of joining bonus, of which cadets get none or very little, advanced entry get some and the TT guys get the most. But be aware it's a catch 22 because its also a sort of bond, as a pilot with some experience you can still leave and seek a job elsewhere should HK/CX not be what you expected, so spend the joining bonus at your peril as you will have to pay it back should you decide to leave early!

Some had to get a bank loan to pay CX back before leaving, you can't just run because CX won't release your tax details to the HK Inland Revenue Dept until you've paid them their money, so you can't clear up your tax with the HKIRD, and the last thing you need going to a new job is the HK tax dept chasing you.

What could you expect initially

Not Sure.

and is there any plans for housing assistance again?

NO (Its gone forever).

There is a HK pilot allowance (a token amount which will never cover your accommodation to the level you would be comfortable with in your home country) but you might as well just call it pay as its taxed at the same rate. (Housing is taxed at a lower rate and is to cover accommodation at a level you'd expect from your home country but seeing its gone there's not much point considering it).

kingcsalomon
23rd Jun 2014, 07:29
Hi All,

Looking for people who is going to Stage 2 on Aug 26, PM me if you are, will do some practice for the group exercise together.

kycfi85
24th Jun 2014, 04:53
I've heard that TT was back open but nothing about advanced entry being open.

bbl
24th Jun 2014, 05:21
good for you.
i'm having my self fund flight training in canada now, and i will re-submit my application to CX and KA later when the record of my last application is over later this yr.

bbl
24th Jun 2014, 05:26
good for you.
i'm having my self fund flight training in canada now, and i will re-submit my application to CX and KA later when the record of my last application is over later this yr.

pilotchute
24th Jun 2014, 06:26
What happened to the rumour that the 6 week TT courses were starting again?

mast000
24th Jun 2014, 06:55
Hi guys, anyone will have Stage 2 in late Oct.
Feel free to message me or contact me through [email protected]

time to plan ahead for it! Fighting Fighting!!!!

nyxi
26th Jun 2014, 03:56
Anyone experienced retest in stage 1a and got passed?

nyxi
26th Jun 2014, 06:01
Deldeldeldel

The_Architect
27th Jun 2014, 09:28
To those anticipating stage 2 and intend on passing it,

for medical you will get your nuts squeezed by a fat doctor, or... (as I heard...) an attractive female

Just putting it out there so others won't be too startled during class 1.

#violated

Cheungccc
27th Jun 2014, 12:37
Hi all, I will be having stage 2 on aug 28, anyone having it on the same date please pm me!! Thank you !!!
Nice to meet you all!!!!

kl0887
27th Jun 2014, 14:52
LOL

Thought u would've done prior research to this stage but congratulations for passing stage 2

crwkunt roll
30th Jun 2014, 00:46
HAHA.....for medical you will get your nuts squeezed by a fat doctor, or... (as I heard...) an attractive female
That's probably the first anybody has touched them, other than yourself, right HKers? What an incentive to be a pilot other than the money you're expecting to make......

Siliu
1st Jul 2014, 23:14
Anyone having stage 2 on the 22nd sept please pm me. Cheers.

cfdchan
2nd Jul 2014, 08:58
got stage 2 in late oct!
pm me if u wanna find a study buddy:)

mygcdjmyxzg
5th Jul 2014, 16:00
Hi All.
I am new to here and submmited my application in last month.
Waiting for the first round interview.:O

GuesTWho
7th Jul 2014, 09:06
I am invited to the Second Office interview Initial A where I have to Technical MC question and Compass Aptitude test.

Does anyone have a brief idea of what these are and how should I prepare for it?

Cheers!:ok:

mygcdjmyxzg
7th Jul 2014, 12:22
Hi GuesTWho
You may search "Cathay JKI Booklet" and go thru it before your test.

By the way, may I know when did you submit your application form,
and when is your compass test?

Good luck:ok:

GuesTWho
7th Jul 2014, 14:52
Hey mygcdjmyxzg (http://www.pprune.org/members/433313-mygcdjmyxzg), Thanks!

I submitted the online form on 19/6 and my compass test will be on the 30/7, same day as the MC test.

rxsazabi
7th Jul 2014, 15:35
my initial A test is on July 30th too

jackietk
7th Jul 2014, 16:40
I will have my Initial A on July 28, Good luck guys~

GuesTWho
8th Jul 2014, 05:38
Good Luck rxsazabi (http://www.pprune.org/members/360046-rxsazabi) and jacketk!!

I shall see you that day rxsazabi (http://www.pprune.org/members/360046-rxsazabi) =]

Billy Cheung
8th Jul 2014, 09:56
Anyone having the stage 2 interview on 30 OCT?

The_Architect
11th Jul 2014, 04:05
Anyone heading down to Adelaide for their one-week assessment July 19th?

jackietk
11th Jul 2014, 19:42
Hello everyone, I just wonder if the compass test is similar to the test in this video.
Pilot Aptitude Test Example - YouTube (http://youtu.be/iI2fzULjWPI?t=1m52s)

If it does, can we take note for the short term memory test? (the altitude, heading, speed and frequency) I cant memorize those 4 numbers at once...

cktnic
12th Jul 2014, 10:37
Anyone here who is going to attend flight grading on 2 Aug? If so, please PM me so maybe we can meet up beforehand.

NZ744
14th Jul 2014, 03:38
Any update on the supposed resumption of TT courses? It's all gone quiet again. Are they still meeting all their recruitment requirements from the HK cadet pool?

kelevra
14th Jul 2014, 06:29
It is somewhat similar. Some parts of those tests are used.

can we take note for the short term memory test?

That defeats the purpose of a short term memory test.

The_Architect
14th Jul 2014, 10:21
can we take note for the short term memory test?

Don't

plus its a waste of time, they keep count

mast000
15th Jul 2014, 04:54
anyone is going to have it on the same date?
pm me so that we would prepare it together, have already located some of us.....

jackietk
15th Jul 2014, 11:21
just curious how the test looks like :P
thanks for the answers

btw, will the stage 1 knowledge test cover more than the booklet? how deep will it goes?

pilotchute
15th Jul 2014, 12:28
How much longer can the training dept last under this sort of pressure?

dolpinsky
15th Jul 2014, 15:46
what sort of pressure?

ae86kelvin
16th Jul 2014, 01:04
If the interview only covers the booklet, I would have been hired 10 years ago. Knowledge is infinite, there is no harm to study whatever resources you have, I would suggest study up to CPL or even ATPL level.

jackietk
16th Jul 2014, 04:37
Got it, Thanks for the suggestion

indomi
16th Jul 2014, 04:53
Honestly, there is not enough time for you to prepare the interview if you just start preparation after submitting the application or getting the invitation email.

A330B777
16th Jul 2014, 07:29
once line training is complete, approximately how many hours do cruise relief pilots log at Cathay each year?

Cpt. Underpants
16th Jul 2014, 21:30
Actual hours operated by a typical S/O are about 60 hours per month.

However, only 1/2 the actual seat hours may be logged towards a licence upgrade. Assuming that the S/O spends 1/2 the typical flight time in a seat with a forward view, he/she would be allowed to log half that - so, about 15 hours per month towards a higher licence.

Take a month off for vacation, that leaves 135 hours per year logged time.

CaptainLimbu
18th Jul 2014, 08:40
Does the stage 1a interview (Compass test) for the ab initio program comprise of Physics???

strawhatpilot
18th Jul 2014, 16:59
Hello fellow Cathay enthusiasts,

I'm in the midst of finishing up my undergrad and I'm debating on whether or not I should get a PPL. I've read that they'd give PPL holders different questions. My question is, being a PPL holder wouldn't give one a better chance at landing the interview correct? Also, would being a PPL holder better prepare one for the interview, although questions might be a harder level?

kycfi85
19th Jul 2014, 03:10
Well, a private license/certificate will make you make you an actual pilot. That's more than most of these guys on the forum, who can tell you about jets but can't even fly a 172...

So, YES. Why wouldn't you want to get your feet wet before committing to a life long career?

strawhatpilot
19th Jul 2014, 06:00
You make a great point. But is there a higher chance of getting past the application process to stage 1 if you are a PPL holder?