PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34

Maddy 555
20th Jul 2023, 01:00
I have completed my bacloers in Business Administration. I took accounts and economic in secondary school. Is maths and science mandatory for cathay cadet training?

ChrissyPrezzie
22nd Jul 2023, 13:11
Apparently, People Department worries that our Mainland counterpart might have a bit of trouble in understanding the English language so they decided to add some Chinese translation to the job ad. I need a good a laugh on this...lol https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jobs/cadet-pilot-program-1840932

Didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.. wouldn't it better if they build a website just for the icadet scheme for the mainlanders? No English, no Traditional Chinese characters, just Simplified Chinese. That should be good enough to say, hey, we build this website just for you guys!

BornTwoFly
23rd Jul 2023, 04:26
People say Bonjour when they visit France, こんにちは in Japan and G'day in Australia, Hola in Spain but some people just can't understand this. haha

Hardrod
23rd Jul 2023, 05:38
Didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.. wouldn't it better if they build a website just for the icadet scheme for the mainlanders? No English, no Traditional Chinese characters, just Simplified Chinese. That should be good enough to say, hey, we build this website just for you guys!

They have been running the ad for many years without translation and all of the sudden they decided to add simplified chinese rather than traditional so it’s good enough to do the trick. Think that’s the official written language in China.

blackmamba wang
24th Jul 2023, 07:25
is there an acceleration key on the real test? I kept pressing it and passed 200 and crashed 50 and got 100% on practice.

ugjrk1
29th Jul 2023, 22:43
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I just received an invitation for the initial interview with CX and wondering if someone could share their experience and tips regrading the initial interview. Thank you so much in advance !
Cheers !

futurepilot2001
30th Jul 2023, 04:52
Congratulations on making it through the computer test! The initial interview is just an HR interview, they will ask you basic questions such as self intro, why you want to be a pilot, questions about the programme (duration, difference between the two courses they offer, location of training, etc. so just read through the brochure that they share with you), role of a SO, questions about your passion and some questions based on your CV. Hope this helps :)

ugjrk1
31st Jul 2023, 00:48
Congratulations on making it through the computer test! The initial interview is just an HR interview, they will ask you basic questions such as self intro, why you want to be a pilot, questions about the programme (duration, difference between the two courses they offer, location of training, etc. so just read through the brochure that they share with you), role of a SO, questions about your passion and some questions based on your CV. Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much for the pointers futurepilot2007 !! I truly appreciated it !!:)

FPmr1
1st Aug 2023, 09:42
Is anyone here in the Cadet program currently or recently finished?

Bit of background, I am a HK resident with a CPL, Multi Instrument, CFI, CFII etc etc. FAA licensed. From my experience access pathways on to jets is difficult when HK isn't much of an aviation country compared to the USA for example SO or Cadet is optimal.

So i've just done my HR interview, they sent me that nice little pdf with the explanation of the two training courses, read and understood it. Reading the thread and talking to a Cathay pilot or two, the fear is that I may have to "start from scratch", and it was sort of confirmed to me when the interviewer actually said those words. But it doesn't make sense, if I get sent to say Arizona to Aeroguard how is it i'm going to start from scratch when I already have all the licenses and hours? In addition, the cadet course pamphlet does say the loan given to successful candidates can be reduced if elements of the course is not required. I'm getting mixed signals, Has anyone with aviation experience, applied, gone through a similar issue or is this just to test my commitment?

Boulanger
2nd Aug 2023, 02:40
Is anyone here in the Cadet program currently or recently finished?

Bit of background, I am a HK resident with a CPL, Multi Instrument, CFI, CFII etc etc. FAA licensed. From my experience access pathways on to jets is difficult when HK isn't much of an aviation country compared to the USA for example SO or Cadet is optimal.

So i've just done my HR interview, they sent me that nice little pdf with the explanation of the two training courses, read and understood it. Reading the thread and talking to a Cathay pilot or two, the fear is that I may have to "start from scratch", and it was sort of confirmed to me when the interviewer actually said those words. But it doesn't make sense, if I get sent to say Arizona to Aeroguard how is it i'm going to start from scratch when I already have all the licenses and hours? In addition, the cadet course pamphlet does say the loan given to successful candidates can be reduced if elements of the course is not required. I'm getting mixed signals, Has anyone with aviation experience, applied, gone through a similar issue or is this just to test my commitment?

It's been a while since I've worked at this company, but I remember back when I joined years ago, there were guys who held instructor ratings and had to start from scratch all the same. Regardless of your ratings and licenses, you will have to go through everything that a fresh cadet with 0 hours would go through in the cadet program. All of this to get a fresh HKCAD CPL and their equivalent ratings.

There used to be a shorter "advanced entry" course of six months if you already have a foreign CPL, and a "transition course" of 6 weeks for those with ATPLs, but those have been phased out afaik. If you are in the cadet course, you have to do it all. After you are done, and join a fleet at CX, you will only build "p2x" hours as you wait for an FO upgrade. You essentially won't build any transferrable experience during that time. This is why it's pretty much like starting over.

FPmr1
2nd Aug 2023, 03:09
Your words cut like a rusty bone saw.

For the p2x on your license, do you at least get a type rating? I can understand the hours not being transferable but surely I can acquire a type rating or 2.

Thanks mate for the information, gives me something to think about. Around how long ago was this when you joined?

Boulanger
2nd Aug 2023, 03:27
Your words cut like a rusty bone saw.

For the p2x on your license, do you at least get a type rating? I can understand the hours not being transferable but surely I can acquire a type rating or 2.

Thanks mate for the information, gives me something to think about. Around how long ago was this when you joined?

You get a "restricted" type rating. The restriction being you cannot takeoff and land, and can only operate above 20,000 feet.

funchopatt
3rd Aug 2023, 02:20
Hi,

Has anyone finished their final interview recently and are waiting for the results? Please dm me

Also, does anyone what is the usual wait time after a final interview to get medical invites? Thank you

Your inbox is full, mind PM-ing me instead?

flying2023
5th Aug 2023, 03:02
morning, everyone,

May I know if anyone finished initial interview recently? and about how many days you will get noted for next round (final interview or failure), If they contact you by e-mail or phone, or if you can choose your times lot for final interview ( in the mail)

If the application box in the profile indicate you pass or not , if it is not disappeared

Many thanks for that

ksl.23
5th Aug 2023, 20:06
Hi all, I applied twice already and got rejected both time after my final interview. One of the reasons I think is not having any prior flight experience. What do you think I should do different to draw their attention more next time besides having a good technical knowledge? Is there any simulator classes that I can take here in Hong Kong? Or what do you think one should do to make them impressed in terms of what I have done for the preparation of the programme besides studying technical stuffs? Also how much help do you think solo flight course of LTF Melbourne would be for the selection process? I am asking this because the interviewer mentioned this topic during final interview, who said “Even though flight hours are not required, what have you done related to flying which can reassure us that you are right candidate for this role?”. I am also running on a tight budget recently. So, what options do I have left? Do you think I should take simulator classes or should go for solo course? If so, please mention the names of those institutions as well. Genuine suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

ugjrk1
8th Aug 2023, 01:13
morning, everyone,

May I know if anyone finished initial interview recently? and about how many days you will get noted for next round (final interview or failure), If they contact you by e-mail or phone, or if you can choose your times lot for final interview ( in the mail)

If the application box in the profile indicate you pass or not , if it is not disappeared

Many thanks for that

Hey, I finished my initial interview on a Friday and received a phone call on monday about the final interview. hope that helps !

elwin
9th Aug 2023, 06:26
Hey, I finished my initial interview on a Friday and received a phone call on monday about the final interview. hope that helps !
Hi ugjrk1, CONGRATS! your private inbox is full, is that possible to understand more from you about the initial interview? I am also preparing mine on the coming Friday. thank you!

honggil
14th Aug 2023, 02:31
Hey guys, I’m located in Canada and interested in applying for the cadet program.

do they do assessments in Canada/online or is it all HK based? Thanks!

HC1027
16th Aug 2023, 14:17
Hi Honggil. Yes, they do assessments online, 1st - test on computer, 2nd - interview with HR, 3rd - interview with HR+captain.

gavinator_1104
17th Aug 2023, 08:34
Has anyone received an offer this week?

dvenaera
19th Aug 2023, 16:31
Hi guys,

I've got my initial interview in a few days and just wanted to ask what to expect besides general HR questions. How much about Cathay other than some historical knowledge do they expect you to know?
Also, I just graduated high school three months ago but aviation has been my passion for so long and I've been set on joining Cathay as a cadet for a while now. I know a lot of people who apply for this program already have flight experience, so does anyone have any tips for me :sad: I should probably be more nervous for the final interview should I pass this one, but this role is a really big deal for me and I'm prepared to give it my all to get in.

Any advice is greatly appreciated <3

HC1027
20th Aug 2023, 10:59
Not yet. Hopefully the coming week.

FPmr1
21st Aug 2023, 02:04
How long have you been waiting? I myself have been waiting 9 days (including weekends). This wait really plays on the mind.

Anyone know here the average wait time? I've known 2 other candidates who got their medical dates 3-7 days after the final. So this concerns me after a while

gavinator_1104
21st Aug 2023, 05:11
How long have you been waiting? I myself have been waiting 9 days (including weekends). This wait really plays on the mind.

Anyone know here the average wait time? I've known 2 other candidates who got their medical dates 3-7 days after the final. So this concerns me after a while

Is your portal still active?

gavinator_1104
21st Aug 2023, 05:50
The average wait time is indeed within 10 days (including weekends)

FPmr1
21st Aug 2023, 07:22
Portals active, already aware if it’s not there then that’s a “no”. I keep being told no news is good news as I’ve heard some candidates get told a day or so after if they’ve not passed. But there’s a point where it starts to get concerning.

I’ve heard and I think told after interview, wait time is 2 weeks.

cypk
22nd Aug 2023, 04:37
Hi, I am from Hong Kong currently studying PPL at Canada. I have planed to apply HK's cadet after finishing my PPL. Is it possible to apply and finish all the interview at Canada although I have heard they required HK's ICAO assessment.

flappy_flaps
22nd Aug 2023, 09:11
Is your portal still active?
Dunno where this 'portal' thing comes from...I got an offer in May, despite my application portal was gone right after the final interview. And the wait time kinda differs depending on when you had your final interview...it might vary from 3 days to around a few weeks.
​​

HC1027
22nd Aug 2023, 14:54
Hi, I am from Hong Kong currently studying PPL at Canada. I have planed to apply HK's cadet after finishing my PPL. Is it possible to apply and finish all the interview at Canada although I have heard they required HK's ICAO assessment.

I think you may finish all 1 test + 2 interviews in Canada online, however, it's necessary to go to Cathay City for medical check, at least.

PHAK_152
23rd Aug 2023, 03:25
Dunno where this 'portal' thing comes from...I got an offer in May, despite my application portal was gone right after the final interview. And the wait time kinda differs depending on when you had your final interview...it might vary from 3 days to around a few weeks.
​​

I think there will always be special cases, but from around 20 applicants who got their portal deleted, they all received rejection letters.

it might not indicate a pass, but I would say most likely that applicant failed

flappy_flaps
23rd Aug 2023, 05:20
I think there will always be special cases, but from around 20 applicants who got their portal deleted, they all received rejection letters.

And yeah, is there a difference between having the portal deleted and the application itself deleted?
Some recent interviewees have been telling me that they their portal still exists but their application seems to have disappeared, is that what you refer to having the portal deleted?

PHAK_152
23rd Aug 2023, 12:25
And yeah, is there a difference between having the portal deleted and the application itself deleted?
Some recent interviewees have been telling me that they their portal still exists but their application seems to have disappeared, is that what you refer to having the portal deleted?

yes :ok: application deleted

dvenaera
23rd Aug 2023, 17:11
I recently got told that I passed the initial HR interview, so I'm prepping for the final interview scheduled for next week. I've been through quite a bit of this forum and am conflicted about what I should be focusing on. A bit of background, I've just graduated high school a few months back, have 0 flying hours/experience, and have very basic knowledge of aviation. I've heard that some people with 0 flying experience still get asked some technical questions while some don't get asked that at all... There are a lot of resources out there for me to look over, however, I just want to be smart with my time and make sure I'm prepared to the best of my ability for next week. Any advice or tips would help a lot !! :)

HAOHAOluvPlane
24th Aug 2023, 02:14

Hi there, Do you know by chance, how soon it take for them to delete the application from the portal after the final if they decide to fail the candidate? Thanks.

flying2023
31st Aug 2023, 12:44
May I know if anyone still get an offer even though the 'Application" gone in the portal in the final stage? If so , how many days after to receive any mail regarding successful or not ? many thanks

IFlyUFly
31st Aug 2023, 14:48
Hi, I'm planning on applying for the program this month, does anyone have a telegram/whatsapp group that I could join?

I'm also wondering if I have to redo the entire interview process since I actually got through the first two stages before COVID put a pause on the entire program?

HAOHAOluvPlane
1st Sep 2023, 00:38
May I know if anyone still get an offer even though the 'Application" gone in the portal in the final stage? If so , how many days after to receive any mail regarding successful or not ? many thanks

How many days after the final did your application went gone? I have not yet received anything but it has been 10 days since my final.

dot0086
1st Sep 2023, 09:00
I recently got told that I passed the initial HR interview, so I'm prepping for the final interview scheduled for next week. I've been through quite a bit of this forum and am conflicted about what I should be focusing on. A bit of background, I've just graduated high school a few months back, have 0 flying hours/experience, and have very basic knowledge of aviation. I've heard that some people with 0 flying experience still get asked some technical questions while some don't get asked that at all... There are a lot of resources out there for me to look over, however, I just want to be smart with my time and make sure I'm prepared to the best of my ability for next week. Any advice or tips would help a lot !! :)

The point isn't to test your knowledge. It's to test your passion for aviation. That being said, just brief yourself up on BASIC flying knowledge (ie. what does it mean to stall, why is it faster to fly from HKG to JFK vs. the other way around, what should you do when depressurization happens, how can you tell the difference between an Airbus/Boeing, etc.) If you have flying experience, be prepared to answer questions about your training (ie. type of plane, what's special about your plane, type of engine, what you struggled with, etc.)

Don't expect to be able to answer everything they ask you. He/she will keep asking more and more until you cannot answer. They don't expect you to have ATPL knowledge, but FWIW - some people do start studying ATPL before their technical interview. Again, the purpose is to demonstrate your passion.

Trifalgar
1st Sep 2023, 09:14

How many days from final to having their application deleted?

tablehei
5th Sep 2023, 05:24
Hi there! just wanna know what does everyone use to practise for the aptitude test. I am assuming the airline still uses Cut-E. Is pilotassessments.com the right platform to subscribe? Thanks.

Trifalgar
7th Sep 2023, 05:33
How many days after the final did your application went gone? I have not yet received anything but it has been 10 days since my final.

Have you received medical yet? And if not, is your application still active on the portal?

HC1027
8th Sep 2023, 02:57
Hi there! just wanna know what does everyone use to practise for the aptitude test. I am assuming the airline still uses Cut-E. Is pilotassessments.com the right platform to subscribe? Thanks.
Yes! that website helps

HC1027
8th Sep 2023, 03:02
Have you received medical yet? And if not, is your application still active on the portal?
Yes I received medical email on Sep 6 for medical on Sep 22.

Trifalgar
8th Sep 2023, 11:55

Thank you HC1027. If you don't mind, when did you take your final interview?

GG24
8th Sep 2023, 15:05

Congrats! May I know when was your interview ? How many day have you waited for medical email? Thanks

HC1027
10th Sep 2023, 07:03
Congrats! May I know when was your interview ? How many day have you waited for medical email? Thanks
Thanks GG24. I took final on Aug 14. (waited for 3 weeks +)

HC1027
10th Sep 2023, 08:05
Thank you HC1027. If you don't mind, when did you take your final interview?
Hi Trifalgar, I took final on Aug 14. (waited for 3 weeks +)

Trifalgar
10th Sep 2023, 15:09
Hi Trifalgar, I took final on Aug 14. (waited for 3 weeks +)

Thank you HC1027. It must have been tough waiting during your 2nd week as most people will have heard by then. Congratulations!

GG24
10th Sep 2023, 17:36
Thanks GG24. I took final on Aug 14. (waited for 3 weeks +)
3 weeks must be tough

Trifalgar
11th Sep 2023, 04:28
3 weeks must be tough

Hello there, may you please PM me for further information on the process? Thanks!

GG24
11th Sep 2023, 09:29
Hello there, may you please PM me for further information on the process? Thanks!
Sorry I couldn't pm you cuz I have less than 3 posts :sad:

Trifalgar
12th Sep 2023, 06:11
Sorry I couldn't pm you cuz I have less than 3 posts :sad:

No worries, best of luck for us!

mclovin5891
12th Sep 2023, 12:24
hi all,

Any overseas applicants who have recently gone for the medical in HK? Did we need to provide our overseas medical histories (with translations)? I am reading different things RE this, some saying yes and some saying verbal history is enough - thanks!

Trifalgar
12th Sep 2023, 14:58

Hello HAOHAO, have you received the medical call yet?

HC1027
13th Sep 2023, 01:32
Did you pass it? Can we have a chat or something if it is okay for you
Sure. DM?

david626
13th Sep 2023, 05:24
I submitted my application last Friday. Still got no response yet, is that normal?

Leo_JH
13th Sep 2023, 07:44
Congrats! When did you receive the online assessment invitation after you applied? I submitted the application on 4th Sep, but no response yet.

GG24
13th Sep 2023, 11:42
I submitted my application last Friday. Still got no response yet, is that normal?
Yes, I think it takes 1 week to process.

Leo_JH
14th Sep 2023, 02:41

some candidates who got their medical dates 3 weeks after the final. Be patient and good luck!!

Leo_JH
14th Sep 2023, 02:43
Yes, I think it takes 1 week to process.
I hope so! I submitted the application last Monday but no response yet. What's your current stage?

mclovin5891
14th Sep 2023, 10:23

Hi HC, mind if I DM you RE the medical? Thanks!

HC1027
14th Sep 2023, 15:52
Hi HC, mind if I DM you RE the medical? Thanks!
Of course don't mind. Go ahead please.

HC1027
14th Sep 2023, 15:54
Yes please, but I couldn’t send private messages since I haven’t had more than 3 post. May I have your contact?
Yes, wechat - howchanchan

HC1027
14th Sep 2023, 15:59
Congrats! When did you receive the online assessment invitation after you applied? I submitted the application on 4th Sep, but no response yet.
Hi Leo, I waited for 15 days. (7.6 applied, 7.21 received email). Some friends also waiting for online assessment invitation, seems getting a little slow.

mclovin5891
15th Sep 2023, 11:39
Of course don't mind. Go ahead please.
Thanks! PMed you!

CCP001
21st Sep 2023, 09:57
Has anyone heard back from HR after the final interview recently? I have been waiting for more than 2 weeks but I have not yet received anything.

CPA110
22nd Sep 2023, 08:31
I did my final invterview last week. I found my application had been deleted but protal was still LIVE. Does that mean it was unsuccessful?

Trifalgar
22nd Sep 2023, 10:38
If portal is still active, you should be fine

FPmr1
22nd Sep 2023, 12:58
Appreciate it, turns out you are right. received my medical already. Yeah some people end up waiting 3+ weeks for a response after final interview

chenjitailai
23rd Sep 2023, 01:03
I did my final invterview last week. I found my application had been deleted but protal was still LIVE. Does that mean it was unsuccessful?
Hi CPA110, may I know if your final interview was through a video call or you did it onsite at Cathay City? And what do you think about the interview? I also did it recently and saw the application deleted but portal still able to login.

zendezyre
24th Sep 2023, 03:53
Hi, all i am having my final interview soon, i would like to see if the recent interviewees could share about what questions they encountered in the final interview. If you don’t mind you can pm me

Trifalgar
24th Sep 2023, 15:45
If the portal is still accessible as in you can access the page after entering your 2FA code, but the application does not exist anymore, it is very likely bad news. However, there is one applicant in the thread that mentioned his/her application was gone but had gotten his/her medical invite after few months, but that is just an exception

Conversely, it is good news (especially after Day 14+) if the application still exists. It probably means they are likely busy on their end, or your processing time is delayed due to manpower constraints, Typhoon/black rain, and will schedule medical for you in due course.

CPA110
24th Sep 2023, 17:05
Hi CPA110, may I know if your final interview was through a video call or you did it onsite at Cathay City? And what do you think about the interview? I also did it recently and saw the application deleted but portal still able to login.

I did my one online. Yes, application was deleted but portal still active. I’m gonging to medical stage finally.

Siobhan_sh3
25th Sep 2023, 08:06
Hi all, how many of your portal is accessible but the application does not exist after the final interview? My application was gone on the same day as the final but the portal is still accessible after entering the code. Furthermore, who else receive medical invitation after a situation like this? Just wanna know if application deleted means no.
Feel free to ask me about schedule/interview;)

Leo_JH
26th Sep 2023, 05:59
Hi all, how many of your portal is accessible but the application does not exist after the final interview? My application was gone on the same day as the final but the portal is still accessible after entering the code. Furthermore, who else receive medical invitation after a situation like this? Just wanna know if application deleted means no.
Feel free to ask me about schedule/interview;)
Do you have flight experience? Could you share about what questions you encountered in the initial and final interview? Thank you!

Siobhan_sh3
26th Sep 2023, 07:43
Do you have flight experience? Could you share about what questions you encountered in the initial and final interview? Thank you!

Zero hour guy, initial was normal HR questions as mentioned above(why Cathay, what aircraft do u like, do u know our fleets, what do u think of 5-7 years as SO), final was about candidate’s previous experience plus basic aviation knowledge, eg, lift, engine etc. be confident and direct, good luck to u

Leo_JH
28th Sep 2023, 02:20
Appreciate it, turns out you are right. received my medical already. Yeah some people end up waiting 3+ weeks for a response after final interview
Congrats!Could I pm you for further information?

ChaseCadet
28th Sep 2023, 17:08
If possible, could anyone please share the final interview questions? Thanks a lot!

Trifalgar
29th Sep 2023, 09:49
If possible, could anyone please share the final interview questions? Thanks a lot!

A quick look at the past 404 pages wouldn't harm you

FPmr1
29th Sep 2023, 11:10
Congrats!Could I pm you for further information?
sure .

Hardrod
3rd Oct 2023, 15:27
what do u think of 5-7 years as SO)...

What a tricky question! I supposed many would have lied at the interview and then regret it once they are in the hot seat.
Have seen too many real life examples in the past!

Siobhan_sh3
4th Oct 2023, 07:02
What a tricky question! I supposed many would have lied at the interview and then regret it once they are in the hot seat.
Have seen too many real life examples in the past!
Can’t say untrue to that, but for mainlanders who cannot apply for overseas cadetship and won’t endure CAAC style of work, CX cadet is the best(or only) option here. Being paid as SO in the cockpit for years may be the dream of many people who don’t have the fortune for flight school. Each side in this program is just taking what they want from each other.

Hyeeee
6th Oct 2023, 02:31
Hey , guys I just finished my final. Thanks a lot for sharing all the information and now it's my turn to give everyone something useful. I'm gonna divide into 3 parts and my idea of how to get prepared.

Online assessment: you will join a Microsoft team video call and then you need to show your ID or passport, after that, the assistant will send you a link via email. You will do all the tests on a Cathay website. Tests are listed below:
1) work related behaviour: a quiz that might take around 30min
2)Monitoring ability: a bunch of fast-moving dots and you need to select the correct number of dots. (It is really fast so don't panic if you can not choose correctly when there are more than 10, or even 8 could be challenging for some folks)
3)Reaction Speed: just click "EQUAL" when two patterns match each other. Very simple, only use your mouse( you can NOT use the space on keyboard)
4)Spatial Orientation: You have a heading indicator of an aircraft and an ADF indicator, you need to put the aircraft on the right spot from the 8 spots you could click.(don't worry if you have no experience, I will tell you how to practice later)
5)Multitasking ability: You are going to do 3 tests at the same time: choose the direction of a triangle, simple math, a list of numbers and check if there's a duplicate pair.
6)Applied Numeracy: simple math, any kids around 14 can solve it.
7)wing challenge: flying through a tube.
Here are the tips: use a website called pilotest.c0m, this web's CUT-E section will help with 2) "moving balls" ; 3) "Reaction Time" ; 4)"RBI" ; 5) "multi-task landing"; 6) "mathematics in English". Use a different website called pilotassessments.c0m and the only free test is what you need for 7) I don't have over 8 posts so I can not send URL, just replace 0 with o

Initial interview: get prepared for the company's history, fleets, leadership officers' employment history. Remember what you have mentioned on your CV. SO's duty and what does an SO do specifically. Get dressed and look nice wouldn't harm you.

Final interview: be ready to be asked very specific and detailed questions. I have PPL and some flight experience. The questions I have been asked including engine manufacturers, type, induction systems, the horsepower of the engine, pros and cons of fuel injection system. Why is a carburetor system is easier to have icing condition. How to read HSI; Draw a holding pattern and how to correct the wind on outbound. In short, be sure you are more than competent in your current position and try to learn more. HR would ask you questions related to your CV as well and be sure the HR REMEMBERS whatever you said last time, I am pretty sure it's not because I was in any way impressive. She is just someone who's extremely good at her job (PHAK is a long book and even keypoints can be over a few dozen pages, read it early. Be sure nothing about PHAK you would messed up. I am not sure if I did a good job because I messed up one simple question which is related with IR, so I can not really tell you what is the main point of this interview.)

The whole process took me less than a month after submitting all the documents they needed. PHAK should be studied ASAP, chapter 4,5,6,7(page 1-19) and12.

I guess that's all I can offer you guys right now. I am quite young with no graduate diploma, PPL, and not a native English speaker. So, just be confident and try your best! And again, thank you all for the help and I really appreciate everyone's contribution here. Wish you guys all the best!

ksl.23
6th Oct 2023, 07:37
Hi,
Does anyone know, how many more cadets are CX looking to hire by 2024 to reach their target?

i8urmaw
6th Oct 2023, 11:12
Hey all,

Anyone had their final interview around 21st September and got invited to medical or received unsuccessful result yet? Still waiting on day 15......

i8urmaw
7th Oct 2023, 04:59
Hey , guys I just finished my final. Thanks a lot for sharing all the information and now it's my turn to give everyone something useful. I'm gonna divide into 3 parts and my idea of how to get prepared.

Online assessment: you will join a Microsoft team video call and then you need to show your ID or passport, after that, the assistant will send you a link via email. You will do all the tests on a Cathay website. Tests are listed below:
2)Monitoring ability: a bunch of fast-moving dots and you need to select the correct number of dots. (It is really fast so don't panic if you can not choose correctly when there are more than 10, or even 8 could be challenging for some folks)
3)Reaction Speed: just click "EQUAL" when two patterns match each other. Very simple, only use your mouse( you can NOT use the space on keyboard)
4)Spatial Orientation: You have a heading indicator of an aircraft and an ADF indicator, you need to put the aircraft on the right spot from the 8 spots you could click.(don't worry if you have no experience, I will tell you how to practice later)
5)Multitasking ability: You are going to do 3 tests at the same time: choose the direction of a triangle, simple math, a list of numbers and check if there's a duplicate pair.
Here are the tips: use a website called pilotest.c0m, this web's CUT-E section will help with 2) "moving balls" ; 3) "Reaction Time" ; 4)"RBI" ; 5) "multi-task landing"; 6) "mathematics in English". Use a different website called pilotassessments.c0m and the only free test is what you need for 7) I don't have over 8 posts so I can not send URL, just replace 0 with o

Initial interview: get prepared for the company's history, fleets, leadership officers' employment history. Remember what you have mentioned on your CV. SO's duty and what does an SO do specifically. Get dressed and look nice wouldn't harm you.

Final interview: be ready to be asked very specific and detailed questions. I have PPL and some flight experience. The questions I have been asked including engine manufacturers, type, induction systems, the horsepower of the engine, pros and cons of fuel injection system. Why is a carburetor system is easier to have icing condition. How to read HSI; Draw a holding pattern and how to correct the wind on outbound. In short, be sure you are more than competent in your current position and try to learn more. HR would ask you questions related to your CV as well and be sure the HR REMEMBERS whatever you said last time, I am pretty sure it's not because I was in any way impressive. She is just someone who's extremely good at her job (PHAK is a long book and even keypoints can be over a few dozen pages, read it early. Be sure nothing about PHAK you would messed up. I am not sure if I did a good job because I messed up one simple question which is related with IR, so I can not really tell you what is the main point of this interview.)

The whole process took me less than a month after submitting all the documents they needed. PHAK should be studied ASAP, chapter 4,5,6,7(page 1-19) and12.

I guess that's all I can offer you guys right now. I am quite young with no graduate diploma, PPL, and not a native English speaker. So, just be confident and try your best! And again, thank you all for the help and I really appreciate everyone's contribution here. Wish you guys all the best!

Hey man, the questions u got was quite tough! Good job in giving the answers under pressure.

So u mean u got the same HR personnel for initial and final? I was the same as well, I was expecting a different HR personnel because wouldn't that be more fair? No bias and another set of opinion on the candidate.

In my opinion, the tech interview is designed to question u to a point u don't know the answer to. The real test is to see how u would react to something u don't know while under pressure. Yes, u would still need to know some basic knowledge, but the ability to react appropriately in those circumstances is far more important than knowledge that most people can learn.

Anyhow, would be great if u can keep us updated on how long it took for u to receive the result! I'm still waiting......

Hyeeee
7th Oct 2023, 12:00
Hey man, the questions u got was quite tough! Good job in giving the answers under pressure.

So u mean u got the same HR personnel for initial and final? I was the same as well, I was expecting a different HR personnel because wouldn't that be more fair? No bias and another set of opinion on the candidate.

In my opinion, the tech interview is designed to question u to a point u don't know the answer to. The real test is to see how u would react to something u don't know while under pressure. Yes, u would still need to know some basic knowledge, but the ability to react appropriately in those circumstances is far more important than knowledge that most people can learn.

Anyhow, would be great if u can keep us updated on how long it took for u to receive the result! I'm still waiting......
Yeah, both time were the same HR and she is definitely GREAT at her job. I believe the reason to have the same HR is to see if you had ever lied on your CV or any detail information. The HR remembered everything on my CV, even the detail number of your exam if you mentioned. Her job is to determine if you have the quality to be a pilot which can ensure a few tings an airline company cares about, which are the keenness to study, attitude to safety and how others would comment you. It's just like finding Waldo, if the HR found it you will be safe. But that's only my guess since Cathay is a very modern company and I think it has been doing a relatively great job.

About the final, I screwed myself up with the easiest question which is "what is the duration of a holding pattern" and I said "3min"( I still can not figure out why did I say that and I know I was an idoit since I was 100% correct about how to correct wind deviation) Plus, I also failed to answer " what would you do if you were flying an A350 to Typhone area?"; "How far is it to fly to USA and which airport?". But I was quite good at answering stuff related to PHAK and the aircraft I was flying. I have no idea how would they decide after all these.

And yeah, I would keep updating what is happening to me with Cathay. I hope I can help out as much people who seeks for this opportunity as possible. Also, as far as I know, most of people who passed this are around 28-35. Not sure if being younger is a plus or not. Would you also keep us updated? All experiences are of great significant here and I really appreciate it!

i8urmaw
8th Oct 2023, 09:50
Yeah, both time were the same HR and she is definitely GREAT at her job. I believe the reason to have the same HR is to see if you had ever lied on your CV or any detail information. The HR remembered everything on my CV, even the detail number of your exam if you mentioned. Her job is to determine if you have the quality to be a pilot which can ensure a few tings an airline company cares about, which are the keenness to study, attitude to safety and how others would comment you. It's just like finding Waldo, if the HR found it you will be safe. But that's only my guess since Cathay is a very modern company and I think it has been doing a relatively great job.

About the final, I screwed myself up with the easiest question which is "what is the duration of a holding pattern" and I said "3min"( I still can not figure out why did I say that and I know I was an idoit since I was 100% correct about how to correct wind deviation) Plus, I also failed to answer " what would you do if you were flying an A350 to Typhone area?"; "How far is it to fly to USA and which airport?". But I was quite good at answering stuff related to PHAK and the aircraft I was flying. I have no idea how would they decide after all these.

And yeah, I would keep updating what is happening to me with Cathay. I hope I can help out as much people who seeks for this opportunity as possible. Also, as far as I know, most of people who passed this are around 28-35. Not sure if being younger is a plus or not. Would you also keep us updated? All experiences are of great significant here and I really appreciate it!

Hey buddy,

Thank you for your informative reply! I did feel weird giving the same exact answers and examples to similar HR questions from the initial interview. And there was 1 HR question that completely threw me off - "a negative comment that Ur colleague had mentioned about u" - never had I received such comment in my life, and I said I'll come back to this question later. Thinking back after, I realized it's just another way to talk about my "weakness".

My technical questions were not that difficult compared to yours even though I have a PPL. I didn't manage to get all the correct answers, and there was 1 where I couldn't give a complete answer:

- "which countries do u fly over from HKG to UK".

I think I should have just said I don't know exactly which countries but I would like to guess?! I think it would be better than giving up after naming 2 countries.

Another question I found out I was completely wrong after was
- "what caused the grounding of the 737 max".
This I said - I am not sure exactly, but from what I remember it was xxxxxxxxxxx - which was not correct.

Anyhow what done is done now, everything is outside my control at this point.

Being younger has its advantage definitely, but I don't think the airline mind too much. There is no age limit, but I heard, ur age must be young enough to be able to attain captaincy during Ur career with them.

I'll keep checking the forums and update my status, which should be soon. Good luck

CCP001
9th Oct 2023, 11:45
Hi FPmr1, do you mind if I DM you regarding the medical? Thanks!

CCP001
9th Oct 2023, 11:49
If the application is still active in your portal, you should be fine. I waited for almost a month after the final interview to receive the medical invitation. Good luck to you!

Whyusernamesdontwork
9th Oct 2023, 14:55
Anyone wanna study tgt! I wanna apply but I guess individual studying is only ganna get you so far. WhatsApp me 54325854

free777wo
10th Oct 2023, 07:24

Thank you so so much for the info!!

I am just wondering for the online assessment No. 7 (hand-eye coordination), our goal is to pass as many as possible or we should aim for less "mistakes"?

Hyeeee
11th Oct 2023, 04:50
If the application is still active in your portal, you should be fine. I waited for almost a month after the final interview to receive the medical invitation. Good luck to you!
Oh damn… that’s an awfully long time to wait. Yeah, portal still active and my application still valid. I’m not sure if that means I have already passed it, so still nervous about that.

Hyeeee
11th Oct 2023, 04:52
Thank you so so much for the info!!

I am just wondering for the online assessment No. 7 (hand-eye coordination), our goal is to pass as many as possible or we should aim for less "mistakes"?
I believe it should be “less mistakes” when I speeded up to around 100 I know I definitely will hit at some point. You can see there is a decrease button or use “D” on keyboard to decrease your speed. I guess that’s probably why they have this design

david626
14th Oct 2023, 20:33
I failed the initial interview. Is it weird for me to fail as normally people don’t fail it?

When I answered the last question right, HR said ‘great’ then ended the interview ‘have a great day’

i8urmaw
15th Oct 2023, 10:24
I failed the initial interview. Is it weird for me to fail as normally people don’t fail it?

When I answered the last question right, HR said ‘great’ then ended the interview ‘have a great day’
Hey David626,

I am sure many people do fail initial but we don't hear from them. If HR let most people pass initial screening, I'm sure they will be in trouble from the flight ops reps, since they need to find time to interview applicants.

I don't think what HR say at the end of the interview can be taken as a hint as pass or fail.

I remember seeing Ur previous post about Ur portal is active and application disappeared right after the interview?

CPCadetWannabe
15th Oct 2023, 14:30
Hi, may I ask how many days did it take for the application to be deleted? Thanks!

david626
16th Oct 2023, 00:19
Hey David626,

I am sure many people do fail initial but we don't hear from them. If HR let most people pass initial screening, I'm sure they will be in trouble from the flight ops reps, since they need to find time to interview applicants.

I don't think what HR say at the end of the interview can be taken as a hint as pass or fail.

I remember seeing Ur previous post about Ur portal is active and application disappeared right after the interview?

yes..

Hi, may I ask how many days did it take for the application to be deleted? Thanks!

not long

Hyeeee
16th Oct 2023, 10:18
yes..

not long
is a week a long time? I have been waiting after my final for 7 work days in HongKong and 11 days since my final. Still confused if I have passed or not, the HR told me that the result would come out in a week or two. I am wondering if the a week or two means the official not passed notification would be sent. My application is still there and portal accessible

FPmr1
17th Oct 2023, 18:00
Hi FPmr1, do you mind if I DM you regarding the medical? Thanks!
I dont mind

i8urmaw
18th Oct 2023, 03:14
is a week a long time? I have been waiting after my final for 7 work days in HongKong and 11 days since my final. Still confused if I have passed or not, the HR told me that the result would come out in a week or two. I am wondering if the a week or two means the official not passed notification would be sent. My application is still there and portal accessible

Hey man, i am still waiting and I'm just a few days short from the 1 month mark. Hope to hear something soon.

Hyeeee
19th Oct 2023, 05:08
Hey man, i am still waiting and I'm just a few days short from the 1 month mark. Hope to hear something soon.
Christ... Is it really supposed to be so long? I thought it would be like the initial that they'd come up with a result within hours then inform you just after a few hours. I guess Cathay is doing a background check on us? Seems like the previous guys who have been waiting for 3 weeks or longer were the common cases. Gotta be patient and ready for another few weeks of wait I guess

i8urmaw
19th Oct 2023, 07:29
Christ... Is it really supposed to be so long? I thought it would be like the initial that they'd come up with a result within hours then inform you just after a few hours. I guess Cathay is doing a background check on us? Seems like the previous guys who have been waiting for 3 weeks or longer were the common cases. Gotta be patient and ready for another few weeks of wait I guess

Not really sure how they do the processing. Last year when I failed the interview (there was only 1 last year) it took a little over 2 weeks to get the reject email.

I suppose this time, no news is good news since I heard some candidates got their medical 3-4 weeks after final.....so fingers crossed.

I am wondering if the notice period HR noted down is a factor at this point. I mentioned 3 months for my notice period, and they are trying to slot the candidates who have less notice period into the remaining classes this year....just my speculation. I'll update my process once I receive a response.

CPCadetWannabe
20th Oct 2023, 03:34
One of my friends only waited for 2 working days, some waited for a little more than 2 weeks. So it really depends and need to be patient abt it.

Hyeeee
20th Oct 2023, 04:38
One of my friends only waited for 2 working days, some waited for a little more than 2 weeks. So it really depends and need to be patient abt it.
2 working days to have a rejection or a solid pass? It seems like this year a lot of candidates who failed the interview got their results within a week. I am just curious now

CPCadetWannabe
20th Oct 2023, 05:50
2 working days to have a rejection or a solid pass? It seems like this year a lot of candidates who failed the interview got their results within a week. I am just curious now
both passed

Hyeeee
20th Oct 2023, 06:51
got it! Sounds like we can only wait since it varies so much

FlyBySoul
21st Oct 2023, 09:44
Hello, everyone!
I am from Russia and I'll graduate next year from civil Aviation Institue, I've seen requirements to the postion second officer in Cathay, and I meet them. But I want to find one detail about it: must I get HG permanent resident or HG ID? Cause I have only international pssport from Russia. Thank you!

Carlos Pang
23rd Oct 2023, 04:32
I am also waiting after final interview.
final interview on oct 12, portal is still open but application deleted after a week or so. does this mean it is a no? would like to know if anyone got an offer even after application disappeared but portal is still open.
thank you

Hardrod
24th Oct 2023, 02:57
Many of you are struggling to understand the candidate portal and the application and it really gets into my nerve.

Candidate portal is your candidate profile, where you can apply any jobs that are available within Cathay group, that includes ground positions, in flight services positions, corporates positions etc. Every time you apply for a job, you will see the details of the position on the dashboard. If you can't find the application status of a particular position that you have applied for, that means the recruiter has dropped your application and moved it out of the pipeline, it is part of the functionality of an Applicant Tracking System (ATS), but you can still access to your candidate profile to apply for other jobs.

CX is not just hiring cadets. There are many openings everyday being posted by Talent Acquisition, particularly in the back office. Think about that. If you have to create a candidate profile every time you apply for a new position, how annoying can it be? Got it?

Hyeeee
24th Oct 2023, 03:07
Many of you are struggling to understand the candidate portal and the application and it really gets into my nerve.

Candidate portal is your candidate profile, where you can apply any jobs that are available within Cathay group, that includes ground positions, in flight services positions, corporates positions etc. Every time you apply for a job, you will see the details of the position on the dashboard. If you can't find the application status of a particular position that you have applied for, that means the recruiter has dropped your application and moved it out of the pipeline, it is part of the functionality of an Applicant Tracking System (ATS), but you can still access to your candidate profile to apply for other jobs.

CX is not just hiring cadets. There are many openings everyday being posted by Talent Acquisition, particularly in the back office. Think about that. If you have to create a candidate profile every time you apply for a new position, how annoying can it be? Got it?
Thanks man! Now it explains a lot. So what you're saying is that the application is actually the only possible way of knowing if you have passed or not? If it is gone, it means you have failed and they have decided that yo're not fit for this position. On the other hand, I am curious if a gone application means the next recruitment phase? Or till you get an offer your application will always be there?
Thanks a lot! You have been given us very valuable information

Carlos Pang
24th Oct 2023, 03:14
Thank you for the information Hardrod .
Hyeeee Have you gotten any update yet? Is your application still active on your portal?
Thanks.

i8urmaw
24th Oct 2023, 08:33
I am also waiting after final interview.
final interview on oct 12, portal is still open but application deleted after a week or so. does this mean it is a no? would like to know if anyone got an offer even after application disappeared but portal is still open.
thank you

I'm still waiting for the email. My application had disappeared since week 2 of my wait. I'm on week 4.

There was 1-2 candidate who said he got invited to medical even with his application gone.

I had emailed HR with no reply and called which I got told to wait another week....so I am not sure if application disappeared amounts to anything at this point. Will report back when I get my result.

Carlos Pang
24th Oct 2023, 09:02
I'm still waiting for the email. My application had disappeared since week 2 of my wait. I'm on week 4.

There was 1-2 candidate who said he got invited to medical even with his application gone.

I had emailed HR with no reply and called which I got told to wait another week....so I am not sure if application disappeared amounts to anything at this point. Will report back when I get my result.

thank you, this is music to my ears. i hope we get to fly together

FlyBySoul
24th Oct 2023, 12:05
Hello, everyone!
Execuse me for such a not common question, but will I have an opportunity to pass this job requrements without HG passport or ID?
Thankt you!

Hbfftbmtt
24th Oct 2023, 20:38
Is it an immediate start after the medical?

Hyeeee
25th Oct 2023, 00:23
Hello, everyone!
Execuse me for such a not common question, but will I have an opportunity to pass this job requrements without HG passport or ID?
Thankt you!
As far as I know about you, I do not recommend you to make this move yet or CX will probably fail you. Knowing that you are from Russia and recently I have been to Russia, talking to lots of my Russian friends including a female student pilot who finished your Russian flying course. Based on what I have seen in Moscow, obvious agents around Red Square, a huge Z on a building in the center area, huge stacks of flowers for Wagner, ads for recruiting soldiers everywhere, and a family I lived with telling me they would support the stand of the government and soldiers should go to there accomplish the course. Based on what is happening there I guess there will soon be another round of mobilization and you as a citizen will face a lot of unexpected arrangements since I heard that pilot programs in Russia are mostly founded by the government. You seem more valuable for BBC or more obligated.
From my perspective, you have one option if you really want to get into CX despite what might happen in your country. First, get your work Visa in HK or study Visa in Hongkong otherwise you will not be able to serve the company. But as a cadet, you will not have your work contract with CX yet so Visa is all on you. Second, if you pass and Cathay believes that you are competent for the position, you will need to get your student Visa for Australia. But again, considering Russian males mostly served in the army for one year when they were 18, the background check could be a bit tricky. Or if CX thinks you should study at PolyU then you also need a student Visa. But there could also be other ways if you consult a good lawyer.
I am not making any political stand here, I just want you to know what you are dealing with and I hope you will have the best. Trying will not cost you anything, but make sure you understand "the right to work in HK" is very important legally and CX would prefer an employee who can work for a long time. I hope you will come up with a perfect plan for yourself and be successful!

Hyeeee
25th Oct 2023, 00:26
Thank you for the information Hardrod .
Hyeeee Have you gotten any update yet? Is your application still active on your portal?
Thanks.
No updates yet, recently CX has been very busy since a lot of candidates still haven't gotten their results. Some guys after initial have been waiting for more than 1 week. Yes, application is still there for about 3 weeks already.

i8urmaw
25th Oct 2023, 05:49
No updates yet, recently CX has been very busy since a lot of candidates still haven't gotten their results. Some guys after initial have been waiting for more than 1 week. Yes, application is still there for about 3 weeks already.

Haha I am worried now. I have a feeling they had forgotten to inform me of my result..........

i8urmaw
25th Oct 2023, 06:03
Immediate start as in start the training?? Or start employment?

Training will begin whenever they have a class ready to be deployed and u had passed the medical, background check. Employment will begin when u start the induction class, which is after all the training in Arizona / Adelaide and HKG Sim sessions.

Hyeeee
25th Oct 2023, 06:30
Haha I am worried now. I have a feeling they had forgotten to inform me of my result..........
You can not be sure of that haha. Of all the candidates who failed the interview that I know of, they got their application deleted around a week and informed that they were rejected in 14 days. It is not uncommon they inform you 3weeks+ later. Just hang in there and be patient since so many other guys out there are waiting just like you!

Hardrod
25th Oct 2023, 11:51
Thanks man! Now it explains a lot. So what you're saying is that the application is actually the only possible way of knowing if you have passed or not? If it is gone, it means you have failed and they have decided that yo're not fit for this position. On the other hand, I am curious if a gone application means the next recruitment phase? Or till you get an offer your application will always be there?
Thanks a lot! You have been given us very valuable information95 per cent of the candidates failed when they no longer able to access to their application through candidate portal, that said, there are some exceptions though, and it is on case by case basis. One could fail the first-round interview, told to reapply in 6 months times, received an invitation to attend the final round interview before his or her next try. This kind of exceptions have been going on for many years. Nothing new.

Funny enough, if you read on the rejection email carefully, it tells you to update on your application in due course. With the new ATS being put in place, no where you can make any updates on it, that’s the old rejection email created specifically for the previous system. How lazy the new Talent Acquisition team is. If you wonder why you haven't heard any news from them, maybe they are just too lazy to follow up with you.

Hyeeee
25th Oct 2023, 12:16
95 per cent of the candidates failed when they no longer able to access to their application through candidate portal, that said, there are some exceptions though, and it is on case by case basis. One could fail the first-round interview, told to reapply in 6 months times, received an invitation to attend the final round interview before his or her next try. This kind of exceptions have been going on for many years. Nothing new.

Funny enough, if you read on the rejection email carefully, it tells you to update on your application in due course. With the new ATS being put in place, no where you can make any updates on it, that’s the old rejection email created specifically for the previous system. How lazy the new Talent Acquisition team is. If you wonder why you haven't heard any news from them, maybe they are just too lazy to follow up with you.
Thank you so much for explaining! Yeah now it is more clear to me! So I'm just gonna keep my hopes up now and hope they are just too busy to tell me. Do you know anything around background check? what would they really check?

Hyeeee
26th Oct 2023, 12:37
New update. Passed and got my assessment invitation.
Many people have received their invitation today so we assume that CX will notify all who have passed once a month. So the waiting after final can vary from 2 days to 1 month since today many who have taken part in final got it today, those people had their final from the 5th to 13th but I am not sure of before.

Hbfftbmtt
27th Oct 2023, 13:18
Many people have received their invitation today so we assume that CX will notify all who have passed once a month. So the waiting after final can vary from 2 days to 1 month since today many who have taken part in final got it today, those people had their final from the 5th to 13th but I am not sure of before.

Hiya, what assessment is that?

i8urmaw
30th Oct 2023, 03:19
Finally medical stage. Waited 5 weeks+

Hyeeee
30th Oct 2023, 03:25
Hiya, what assessment is that?
medical check, ICAO, background check

Hyeeee
30th Oct 2023, 03:25
Finally medical stage. Waited 5 weeks+
Congratulations! see you in HK

mcdufmcuser
30th Oct 2023, 07:11

Hi Hye, i cant dm you because i have less than 3 posts but can i ask you about the medical?

i8urmaw
30th Oct 2023, 08:31
Congratulations! see you in HK

Thanks buddy, let's stay in touch. Pm u.

Hyeeee
30th Oct 2023, 09:31
Hi Hye, i cant dm you because i have less than 3 posts but can i ask you about the medical?
yeah sure, but I do not know what can I say about medical since different people have different cases. I was a weightlifting athlete so I am not worried about this

Anaconda69
30th Oct 2023, 14:29
Mate, what was Background Check again? Like criminal record or.. Any Clue ???
Will appreciate your reply

Anaconda69
30th Oct 2023, 15:52
medical check, ICAO, background check

Errrmmm Buddy, any clue what's the background check, seems something new isn't? Is that anything to worry or is it just a chitchat
On my 3rd week since Final, portal and application still there.

Hyeeee
31st Oct 2023, 10:18
Errrmmm Buddy, any clue what's the background check, seems something new isn't? Is that anything to worry or is it just a chitchat
On my 3rd week since Final, portal and application still there.
Don't worry about it. Just basic check about your previous work and stuff. But if you are from mainland China then you know what good words cost, just do it. I also believe If you didn't lie about what you wrote on your CV, you shouldn't worry about it. Every company does background checks, it's more like standard procedure but I am not sure how deep will they go or what amount of information Cathay wants. The HR mentioned "what did your instructor comment you?" during my interview so maybe the third party company will make a call to certain people and see if you are qualified. Again, do not ever lie!

zendezyre
2nd Nov 2023, 04:13
So if the application has been deleted the next day from the interview means rejected🤔 i got it deleted the next day

Fuyukikun
2nd Nov 2023, 05:54
Got my final interview on 26th October, the application were deleted the next day.
For my final, there came a training a320 captain name Sxm (don't wanna put name here, but you can guess whether X for in alphabet), with the HR name Xdx
The interview started with the HR with HR questions for around 20 minutes or so.
Then the Capt jump in for some technical. We went from discussing air crashes, how did the crew reacted, dicision making etc. After that, follow by some PHAK stuffs.
The capt told me that I am obviously really good at airbus stuffs and also the aeronautical things, so he said he's not going to any aircraft related questions. He then went for HR types questions which wanna check my responses in different aspects, such as
- Initiatives
- Preference and habit
- Hobbits
and he mentioned how to convince him I can control the aircraft since it requires high coordination skills etc.
the captain part is around 40 minutes, all together around an hour as mentioned in the invitation email.

I am currently
- holding a HKIAA cadet offer(that one is kinda easy to make it through)
- Zero hour guy

really wish Cathay can do the reply sooner, whether it's positive or negative

Fuyukikun
2nd Nov 2023, 11:49
Same here, got deleted the day after my final.
My final was on 26th October.
Probably it’s not turning out good right?

i8urmaw
3rd Nov 2023, 05:58
If you can report back whether u were successful or not, would be awesome. I for one, is curious to know if application deleted means no good. Some ppl on the forum recently had reported that their application was deleted and still got invite to medical and vice versa.

I am not sure how many ppl is on the same boat as me, but I failed my final last year (2022), reapplied this year (2023). I checked my application towards the end of my week 2 wait after final, and found my 2022 application in the portal; does that constitute to application deleted for 2023?! I am not sure, but whatever it is, I got my medical invite after waiting 5 weeks.

Lets dispel the rumor once and for all!

Fuyukikun
3rd Nov 2023, 06:12
Sure I will contribute here if any updates.
It just seems that Cathay is more interested in HR type stuffs, find out your personality more than ever before compare to sharings mentioned previously in this forum.
Btw, this is also my second attempt, failed initial 10 months ago, asked to do the submission 9 months after.
I have skipped ICAO, aptitude test and jump directly to initial.

Fuyukikun
3rd Nov 2023, 06:15
Sure, it makes no sense to justify your status simply by looking at that portal.

Heading1
3rd Nov 2023, 06:39
How long have you waited since your application to receiving the initial invitation. I have applied last year as well but fail to go through the final stage and I applied again two weeks ago, still waiting for their invitation.

awahaw
3rd Nov 2023, 10:27
Hello - just wondering how long does it take for everyone to know if they passed the initial interview or not?

Hbfftbmtt
3rd Nov 2023, 11:57
If you can report back whether u were successful or not, would be awesome. I for one, is curious to know if application deleted means no good. Some ppl on the forum recently had reported that their application was deleted and still got invite to medical and vice versa.

I am not sure how many ppl is on the same boat as me, but I failed my final last year (2022), reapplied this year (2023). I checked my application towards the end of my week 2 wait after final, and found my 2022 application in the portal; does the constitute to application deleted for 2023?! I am not sure, but whatever it is, I got my medical invite after waiting 5 weeks of wait.

had exactly the same thing, mine shows my first attempt. Had my final the other day and just waiting for a response. Really keen to find out

lcxhtb
3rd Nov 2023, 15:42
Sure I will contribute here if any updates.
It just seems that Cathay is more interested in HR type stuffs, find out your personality more than ever before compare to sharings mentioned previously in this forum.
Btw, this is also my second attempt, failed initial 10 months ago, asked to do the submission 9 months after.
I have skipped ICAO, aptitude test and jump directly to initial.
Ching, I have the same situation with you, when is your HR interview?

HeroHero
4th Nov 2023, 10:42

I am not sure how many ppl is on the same boat as me, but I failed my final last year (2022), reapplied this year (2023). I checked my application towards the end of my week 2 wait after final, and found my 2022 application in the portal; does that constitute to application deleted for 2023?! I am not sure, but whatever it is, I got my medical invite after waiting 5 weeks.

Hi i8urmaw,

This year, after failing the final in 2022, did you go straight to the final interview round in 2023 or did Cathay let you start all over again with cut-e assessments etc. I failed my final a couple of weeks ago and was told to reapply in 12 months. Thanks!

Fuyukikun
4th Nov 2023, 10:50
How long have you waited since your application to receiving the initial invitation. I have applied last year as well but fail to go through the final stage and I applied again two weeks ago, still waiting for their invitation.
it takes me a little more than a month

Fuyukikun
4th Nov 2023, 10:57
Ching, I have the same situation with you, when is your HR interview?
Aug31 re-apply
Oct12 contact for HR interview
Oct12 email for health form submission
Oct13 confirm email on HR interview
Oct17 HR interview
Oct17 call saying pass and booked 26th for Final on phone call
Oct26 Final interview (HR + tech)
Oct27 application on portal deleted

BTW as mentioned this one is my second attempt, the application date on my portal before it got deleted shows my application date was my pervious one, which is around 1 year before

lcxhtb
4th Nov 2023, 16:23
Aug31 re-apply
Oct12 contact for HR interview
Oct12 email for health form submission
Oct13 confirm email on HR interview
Oct17 HR interview
Oct17 call saying pass and booked 26th for Final on phone call
Oct26 Final interview (HR + tech)
Oct27 application on portal deleted

BTW as mentioned this one is my second attempt, the application date on my portal before it got deleted shows my application date was my pervious one, which is around 1 year before
Ching, I have a weird timetable, compared with you. Mine is:
Oct 31 re-apply
Nov 1 contact for HR interview
Nov 1 email for health form submission
Nov 1 confirm email on HR interview
Nov 8 HR interview
Ching do you mind I contact you for further information thru Telegram? My Telegram acc is @TakgaLaw

awahaw
4th Nov 2023, 16:42
is it a bad sign if my application got deleted after my initial interview?

Fuyukikun
5th Nov 2023, 00:06
is it a bad sign if my application got deleted after my initial interview?
That's probably not a good sign, if you failed to attend ICAO level4 or above, you will also get that portal deleted at the time they email you to wait for 3 months; it would also gone if you fail the aptitude test
however I know there's one applicant who have an even funnier situation, he got no portal at all, but he's now in the Cadet.

i8urmaw
5th Nov 2023, 09:12
Hi i8urmaw,

This year, after failing the final in 2022, did you go straight to the final interview round in 2023 or did Cathay let you start all over again with cut-e assessments etc. I failed my final a couple of weeks ago and was told to reapply in 12 months. Thanks!
​​​​​​
hey buddy,

When I failed last year I was told to wait 9 months. I reapplied after waiting 9 months and went straight to HR interview. Didn't need to repeat ICAO or Cut-e this year.

i8urmaw
5th Nov 2023, 09:14
Hello - just wondering how long does it take for everyone to know if they passed the initial interview or not?

I am from HK. And after initial HR, the invitation for final was received the very next day.

HeroHero
5th Nov 2023, 10:10
​​​​​​
hey buddy,

When I failed last year I was told to wait 9 months. I reapplied after waiting 9 months and went straight to HR interview. Didn't need to repeat ICAO or Cut-e this year.

Hey man,

Interesting so the only thing you had to redo was the initial HR interview. How did you spend your 9 months waiting time? I have 12 months now..

Thanks for your help throughout this forum and congrats!

Hbfftbmtt
6th Nov 2023, 07:11
Hey man,

Interesting so the only thing you had to redo was the initial HR interview. How did you spend your 9 months waiting time? I have 12 months now..

You redo the final too ofc!

i8urmaw
6th Nov 2023, 07:41
Hey man,

Thanks buddy,

​​​​​ I think it's different for everyone. As it depends on what caused u to fail.

I myself listened to podcasts and read books that would help improve me as a whole instead of doing something aviation specific.

Hbfftbmtt
6th Nov 2023, 09:17
Just had my final interview the other day. Went okay I believe and definitely looking forward to the result. Any questions let me know!

alex921218
6th Nov 2023, 11:01
Update: for others who is also located oversea

ICAO will be after the final interview (tech)
HR said both ICAO and medical can be done in parallel if you pass the final interview so you only have to go back to hk once.

Just had my final interview the other day. Went okay I believe and definitely looking forward to the result. Any questions let me know!
may i ask what did they asked u and you background pls ?

kuruma
7th Nov 2023, 02:21
Hello Carlos, may I know have you heard back from them yet?

alex921218
7th Nov 2023, 08:28
may i know what was asked and your background please ?

Fuyukikun
7th Nov 2023, 17:33

I have just received the reject letter from Cathay
After a waiting of 13 days
Not mentioning the duration I will need to wait before the next round.
Hopefully this helps and contribute to everyone here waiting, wish all of you an absolute success on your cadet and prove your efforts.

VC2PewePilota
8th Nov 2023, 07:02
Hi Yallz,

Newbie here and I got a few things going on with zero to hero study.. any resources would be most helpful:

ICAO scheduled
Computer Aptitude Test scheduled

I got about a week before these so its capt'n crunch time. Thanks so much for your guidance!

Hardrod
9th Nov 2023, 10:27
I have just received the reject letter from Cathay
After a waiting of 13 days
Not mentioning the duration I will need to wait before the next round.
Hopefully this helps and contribute to everyone here waiting, wish all of you an absolute success on your cadet and prove your efforts.

they might did you a favor.
going away for an entire year without salary, then coming back to get paid like ****
not to mention about giving away your allowance for 3 years
no clear time line for promotion
possibly end up babysitting the autopilot for up to 7 years
better to spend your time and energy on something else.
You might end up happier and wealthier.

HeroHero
10th Nov 2023, 14:52
Got my final interview on 26th October, the application were deleted the next day.
For my final, there came a training a320 captain name Sxm (don't wanna put name here, but you can guess whether X for in alphabet), with the HR name Xdx
The interview started with the HR with HR questions for around 20 minutes or so.
Then the Capt jump in for some technical. We went from discussing air crashes, how did the crew reacted, dicision making etc. After that, follow by some PHAK stuffs.
The capt told me that I am obviously really good at airbus stuffs and also the aeronautical things, so he said he's not going to any aircraft related questions. He then went for HR types questions which wanna check my responses in different aspects, such as
- Initiatives
- Preference and habit
- Hobbits
and he mentioned how to convince him I can control the aircraft since it requires high coordination skills etc.
the captain part is around 40 minutes, all together around an hour as mentioned in the invitation email.

I am currently
- holding a HKIAA cadet offer(that one is kinda easy to make it through)
- Zero hour guy

really wish Cathay can do the reply sooner, whether it's positive or negative

Hey man,

May I PM you about the HKIAA cadet?

Fuyukikun
11th Nov 2023, 01:16
Hey man,

May I PM you about the HKIAA cadet?
yes, how about ...can I have your tg? WhatsApp ?

pikachiu
13th Nov 2023, 14:14
anyone enrolled in the coming CPA class?

MalcolmTucker
14th Nov 2023, 03:13
Hi guys,

I got an notification from CX and said I failed one of the assessments from the computer test and tell me to wait for 3 months and reapply if I want, has anyone got the same situation this year? Is it just me or someone also failed the computer test?

Cheers

VC2PewePilota
15th Nov 2023, 04:34
hi pikachu, are u in?

flyingpiggy123
15th Nov 2023, 14:19
Got my application deleted right after final in=,=
diu

alex921218
15th Nov 2023, 21:53
Got my application deleted right after final in=,=
diu
may I ask and when did your final in and what has been asked ?

VC2PewePilota
16th Nov 2023, 02:57
Hi Hyeeee , for 4. Spatial Orientation, were their Arrow shapes that you can use to orient the position of the plane relative to the beacon, or did you have to use our hands or brain only?

VC2PewePilota
16th Nov 2023, 13:10
Agree, I can't access the portal but I'm still in the HR process. Can't really assume or know whats being done in the background if your profile was removed. Could even be a system migration.. maybe asking them for an update to see if you are still in the mix?

Hyeeee
18th Nov 2023, 05:11
Hi Hyeeee , for 4. Spatial Orientation, were their Arrow shapes that you can use to orient the position of the plane relative to the beacon, or did you have to use our hands or brain only?
I am not sure if I understand you correctly. I believe it is just a simple practice thing as long as you understand the concept of RB and magnetic heading. Just give yourself some practise then you should be fine

VC2PewePilota
19th Nov 2023, 02:01
Gotcha Hyeee, I was just referring to some videos I saw where people drew shapes to indicate the Plane, then drew shapes to indicate the Direction of the Beacon, in order to rotate. I guess these " shapes" are not on the exam. Can't post pics as yet otherwise I would have...

On another note anyone who needs a refresher on the math.. I found this.. y0 tu.be/Uo2yNiadkzM?si=4PeMg2W6YgG-P7QW (replace yO utu.be with correct spelling). These things we did in high school doesn't necessarily apply for ppl like me who just crunch numbers on excel..

Braveby
19th Nov 2023, 06:57
Sorry for asking but I have SPL with 25hrs and I had my 1st solo three days ago I just applied to cadet program since 10November but I'm not Hong Kong permanent resident till today I didn't get any information despite their have been saying my application successfully received and their working on it but in portal I can update my application so I don't understand

VC2PewePilota
19th Nov 2023, 11:58
Sorry for asking but I have SPL with 25hrs and I had my 1st solo three days ago I just applied to cadet program since 10November but I'm not Hong Kong permanent resident till today I didn't get any information despite their have been saying my application successfully received and their working on it but in portal I can update my application so I don't understand

Not sure if anyone else here has experienced insight on the current HR recruitment, but the job posting for Cadet Programme states HK PR as a pre-requisite at least for the posting...

EVAWW
20th Nov 2023, 04:49
Hey guys,
Has anyone applied in early November and received an invitation for computer testing?

Braveby
20th Nov 2023, 06:10
Not sure if anyone else here has experienced insight on the current HR recruitment, but the job posting for Cadet Programme states HK PR as a pre-requisite at least for the posting...
So if I'm not a HK PR I can't get the opportunity because I already applied but their said my application received and their working on it but I can update my application till now no feedback from them

Hardrod
20th Nov 2023, 08:01

I think you have just offended our Mainland Chinese counterpart...

VC2PewePilota
20th Nov 2023, 11:25
I think you have just offended our Mainland Chinese counterpart...

Oh, that was unintentional... didn't mean to offend anyone... reality is China Air owns a large percentage so they will be well represented in due course

Hyeeee
21st Nov 2023, 06:15
Oh, that was unintentional... didn't mean to offend anyone... reality is China Air owns a large percentage so they will be well represented in due course
😂Trust me no one from mainland is offended if they ever worked in a local airline company. We’re just being extremely grateful for this opportunity. For a cadet in mainland from China Air or Air China( I’m kinda confused which one is correct) his salary is about 6000HKD/month for the first 6-12months after signing the work contract. I used HIS because they cadet program in mainland usually don’t give opportunity for female.

just needs to be more accurate “the right to work in HK or Mainland China” so the PR isn’t necessarily a must.

VC2PewePilota
21st Nov 2023, 14:12
😂Trust me no one from mainland is offended if they ever worked in a local airline company. We’re just being extremely grateful for this opportunity. For a cadet in mainland from China Air or Air China( I’m kinda confused which one is correct) his salary is about 6000HKD/month for the first 6-12months after signing the work contract. I used HIS because they cadet program in mainland usually don’t give opportunity for female.

just needs to be more accurate “the right to work in HK or Mainland China” so the PR isn’t necessarily a must.

Wow that is how you are treated over there...good of you to find another way out....

Air China Group or China Aviation Corp.(correcting my previous comment) is the parent company of Air China, and invested into CX. This is also not on topic but some 6-7 years ago, I HEARD (cannot verify) they were willing to pay foreigners 300K HKD monthly tax free if you were a Captain, to be on 737s... then the sino-US trade war happened..

Hyeeee
21st Nov 2023, 14:54
Wow that is how you are treated over there...good of you to find another way out....

Air China Group or China Aviation Corp.(correcting my previous comment) is the parent company of Air China, and invested into CX. This is also not on topic but some 6-7 years ago, I HEARD (cannot verify) they were willing to pay foreigners 300K HKD monthly tax free if you were a Captain, to be on 737s... then the sino-US trade war happened..
Okay well recently there’s an airline company called 春秋 and you can search it online. The job opens for captain of A320 only published for English speakers and in mainland there was 0 information about it even on their official website. This company is willing to pay 200k USD annual salary. Meanwhile, a captain who’s in his 40s working in China Southern told me his annual salary is about 140k USD worth in CNY.

As a mainlander, another thing about our system here is that CAAC does not recognize any other ICAO English certification except CAAC’s ICAO exam which is also a very discriminating test since the scoring will based on your citizenship, only if you’re from an English speaking country then you may get a 6. Otherwise, your maximum will be 5.

Being a foreigner or let me put it this way “a non-mainland Chinese citizen”, you would have some perks in some cases compared with the locals. Especially in aviation field, no extra unnecessary work such as study some certain stand of you know what regularly. A relatively fair contract, since you will not be offered a contract that needs you to work for one company for your whole life. Some Cadets here won’t even see how long would they serve when they signed the contract and some cadets’ contract is “unlimited” meaning that you will need to work there your whole career. If you want to resign or switch to another company, you have to pay a few millions of HKD unless you resign because you can’t fly due to your physical condition.

FL3939
22nd Nov 2023, 02:00
Hi guys,

Just curious what are the chances for an AUS national (22yo) with a CASA PPL license to be considered for the CX cadet programme?

Finished all cpl theory and currently in the process of completing atpls. Clocked just over 150hrs in the logbook.

I understood I only need "the right to live and work". But have there been any recent occurrences where CX has fully funded a foreign national?

Any insights are much appreciated.

Clear skies and tailwinds!

Hardrod
22nd Nov 2023, 11:56
Hi guys,

Just curious what are the chances for an AUS national (22yo) with a CASA PPL license to be considered for the CX cadet programme?

Finished all cpl theory and currently in the process of completing atpls. Clocked just over 150hrs in the logbook.

I understood I only need "the right to live and work". But have there been any recent occurrences where CX has fully funded a foreign national?

Reality:

CX is bleeding with experienced pilots due to toxic work culture, condesending pay system known as POS 18, insecured T&C
Demands are on guys who have wide body jet time, not P2X.
They need experienced pilots, not cadets, not SOs.
CX is turning itself to a Chinese Airlines by opening the iCadet scheme to Chinese Nationals which has never been done before.

Now, based on this trajectory, do you honestly think they would waste their time to look at you when you don't have any jet time and you are not HKPR nor Mainland Chinese National?

meowtofly
23rd Nov 2023, 00:44
Don't waste your time to apply the cadet pilot programme if you are not HK permanent resident or Mainland Chinese.

meowtofly
23rd Nov 2023, 01:34
Hi guys,

Sorry to tell you that they only accept HK permanent residents & Mainland Chinese for cadet

ReginaIpforCE
24th Nov 2023, 12:51
Sorry to tell you that they only accept HK permanent residents & Mainland Chinese for cadet
That is sadly not quite true
CX do have cadet who either PR or Mainlander, although the term “right to live and work in HK” is somewhat vague, but I can ensure you that you don’t need to be PR to apply.

pandaexpress
29th Nov 2023, 04:09
yes, how about ...can I have your tg? WhatsApp ?

PMed.

Veyron
6th Dec 2023, 08:43
Hello, Im planning on applying to the Cadet Programme, Does anyone know if whether it is partially or fully sponsored, and if it is partially. How much would be the full cost

Thanks

trigonometry
7th Dec 2023, 06:48
Hello, Im planning on applying to the Cadet Programme, Does anyone know if whether it is partially or fully sponsored, and if it is partially. How much would be the full cost

Thanks

On the surface: It's a fully sponsored program, that means you don't have to make any down payments upfront.

The catch is:
A) You will given a training loan which amounts for 1 million hkd, and you will need to pay back by providing services for a minimum period of 6 years. By then, the loan will just go away.
B) You ARE NOT entitled to pilot allowance for the first three years of your employment which total of 504,000hkd, that accounts for half of the training fees.
C) No salary will be paid to you during a year long training. However, you will be given some allowance while you are trained in overseas. Again. this is not a full salary!
C) Based on the current pay system, after you are offered a position as SO1, your monthly salary is dependent on the hours you flown, the more hours you fly, the more money you make, similar to the pay system as Flight Attendants. (That's why they have pilots who deliberately taxing at a slow speed in order to bill more hours)
D) P2X is the flights hours created for cruise relief pilots. It is not internationally recognizable. If there are 2 SOs on the flight, your hours will be slashed by half. Refer to CAD54 if you wanted to know more.
E) No housing allowance will be given to you. You need to figure out how to make a living on a 33k ish salary in Hong Kong. (Hence many SOs or even FOs have a second or third job)

Veyron
7th Dec 2023, 10:25
Hi, Appreciate your response. What do you mean by not allowed a pilot allowance, Does that mean I will not be getting paid for the first three years I work with them?

Thanks

trigonometry
8th Dec 2023, 04:00
Hi, Appreciate your response. What do you mean by not allowed a pilot allowance, Does that mean I will not be getting paid for the first three years I work with them?

Thanks

You are supposed to get pilot allowance on top of your full salary (base + productivity pay), just like any other pilots in other ranks, but because CX is cutting cost down, so they decided to take away your allowance for three years to reimburse the training cost. In other words, they transfer the cost back to you, partially.

Now, from Flight Crew Recruitment perspective, they can still say, it is a fully sponsored program, and you don't have to pay a dime for it. But is it? You be the judge.

pandaexpress
8th Dec 2023, 06:44
Does anyone know if cadets are given fleet options to choose from?

centurion98
11th Dec 2023, 16:52
anyone knows how long it takes for a cadet to go from completing their course overseas to really beginning their line-training?

ohfish
14th Dec 2023, 15:36
Hello fellow cadets, I’ve been accepted however, a friend of mine hasn’t… this is really just a question about the drug screening.. he passed everything but made the silly mistake of smoking cannabis on a trip overseas not knowing he would have made it all the way to the medical.. great guy and dumb mistake.. it’s obviously taking a toll on him mentally and I wanna help him out as much as I can, does anyone know if they reconsider such cases? In a sense reapply and do the whole process again? Will/could he even be considered..?

ChrissyPrezzie
18th Dec 2023, 02:59
On the surface: It's a fully sponsored program, that means you don't have to make any down payments upfront.

The catch is:
A) You will given a training loan which amounts for 1 million hkd, and you will need to pay back by providing services for a minimum period of 6 years. By then, the loan will just go away.
B) You ARE NOT entitled to pilot allowance for the first three years of your employment which total of 504,000hkd, that accounts for half of the training fees.
C) No salary will be paid to you during a year long training. However, you will be given some allowance while you are trained in overseas. Again. this is not a full salary!
C) Based on the current pay system, after you are offered a position as SO1, your monthly salary is dependent on the hours you flown, the more hours you fly, the more money you make, similar to the pay system as Flight Attendants. (That's why they have pilots who deliberately taxing at a slow speed in order to bill more hours)
D) P2X is the flights hours created for cruise relief pilots. It is not internationally recognizable. If there are 2 SOs on the flight, your hours will be slashed by half. Refer to CAD54 if you wanted to know more.
E) No housing allowance will be given to you. You need to figure out how to make a living on a 33k ish salary in Hong Kong. (Hence many SOs or even FOs have a second or third job)

People Department don't actively talk about P2X unless they are asked to, and even if they are asked, they would probably just shy away from it. Wondering how many guys and gals from the North know what that is when they are in fact separated from the world by a great firewall.

Veyron
21st Dec 2023, 01:23
Hello, I have read a lot of previous posts and have a couple of questions.
1) How Long does it take to go from second officer to FO, as some are saying even 6 to 7 years? I know there is a certain hour requirement but do you become a FO as soon as you reach that requirement or no...

2) What does P2X stand for, I am aware its the hours as a second officer but is that entirely correct?

Boulanger
22nd Dec 2023, 00:54
Hello, I have read a lot of previous posts and have a couple of questions.
1) How Long does it take to go from second officer to FO, as some are saying even 6 to 7 years? I know there is a certain hour requirement but do you become a FO as soon as you reach that requirement or no...

2) What does P2X stand for, I am aware its the hours as a second officer but is that entirely correct?

1) That's hard to say. In the past (prior COVID) SOs would upgrade if they hold the highest seniority spot amongst all other SOs in a unified pool. Nowadays, SOs upgrade depending on fleet, past experience, and other factors. The presence of direct entry first officers have always delayed progression, which is a other factor. There is no "hour requirement" as you say.

2) P2X = Cruise relief co-pilot. If you hold a P2X rating, which is what you will have as an SO, you can only operate the aircraft above 20,000 feet under the supervision of the pilot in command or a delegate. The reason P2X is a problem is that very few carriers outside of CX recognize these hours. Which means that if you are stuck as an SO or find the job not to your liking, it will be very hard if not impossible for you to leave.

gopilot_fon
22nd Dec 2023, 06:02
Hello guys
I would like to hear any detailed advice or actual problem information about CX ICAO English Exam on the cadet pilot selection..
Even though I searched and read the official website of IAE CLEAR, I couldn't clearly grasp exactly what the actual ICAO test in CX will be held..

I'd appreciate any information about the test and tips.
Thank you in advance.

SoniaFrost780
1st Jan 2024, 14:40
Hello. I want to ask about the cost for the cadet program. In the job post, it mentions that training for the license is sponsored. What about other costs, such as accommodation at flight school? How much would it be and will it be paid by the cadet? Thank you.

Carpets
2nd Jan 2024, 19:15
Hello guys
I would like to hear any detailed advice or actual problem information about CX ICAO English Exam on the cadet pilot selection..
Even though I searched and read the official website of IAE CLEAR, I couldn't clearly grasp exactly what the actual ICAO test in CX will be held..

I'd appreciate any information about the test and tips.
Thank you in advance.

It may have changed in the past few years, when I did it, it was like this:

You will be asked to reply to a series of pre-recorded questions over the phone. Once the recorded question has played you will have approximately 30 seconds to reply or answer the question. It will then play another question and so on. After a few questions there was a segment of the test that involves speaking to a real person (from memory the guy was from NZ). This person will again ask you some questions and you will answer. Once they have gone through their questions the test ends.

The entire thing takes less than 20 minutes. Some of the questions will be about aviation and what you may or may not do in certain situations, don't feel like you have to answer these perfectly as it is not assessing your aviation knowledge, it is purely an assessment of your English comprehension.

There are no trick questions or things you need to practise or memorise. If you can speak and understand English you will get ICAO level 6.

Tabbywhite
5th Jan 2024, 13:16
Hello fellow cadets, I’ve been accepted however, a friend of mine hasn’t… this is really just a question about the drug screening.. he passed everything but made the silly mistake of smoking cannabis on a trip overseas not knowing he would have made it all the way to the medical.. great guy and dumb mistake.. it’s obviously taking a toll on him mentally and I wanna help him out as much as I can, does anyone know if they reconsider such cases? In a sense reapply and do the whole process again? Will/could he even be considered..?

Just curious... did you friend make it to the programme?

trigonometry
6th Jan 2024, 14:11
1) That's hard to say. In the past (prior COVID) SOs would upgrade if they hold the highest seniority spot amongst all other SOs in a unified pool. Nowadays, SOs upgrade depending on fleet, past experience, and other factors. The presence of direct entry first officers have always delayed progression, which is a other factor. There is no "hour requirement" as you say.

2) P2X = Cruise relief co-pilot. If you hold a P2X rating, which is what you will have as an SO, you can only operate the aircraft above 20,000 feet under the supervision of the pilot in command or a delegate. The reason P2X is a problem is that very few carriers outside of CX recognize these hours. Which means that if you are stuck as an SO or find the job not to your liking, it will be very hard if not impossible for you to leave.

Thanks Boulanger. This is very important which I think everyone should know about this, especially to the ones that are new to the industry. Further to your point, the training department did say that current SOs have been given an opportunity to transfer to HK Express and operate as JFO, however, this would be a one way journey, whoever gets transferred out can't go back, at least not for now.

One more thing, policy can change in a slap of a finger, just like CX Dragon, no one knew it was coming except for the management., any information regarding to pay, flight hours, fleet allocation, wait time to promotion etc, might not be valid this time next year. So much could happen in between and nothing is guaranteed. Afterall CX is a business, not an institution nor a charity, Something that needs to be taken into an account as well.

Cheers.

batman741
7th Jan 2024, 10:11
Hi guys,

I got an notification from CX and said I failed one of the assessments from the computer test and tell me to wait for 3 months and reapply if I want, has anyone got the same situation this year? Is it just me or someone also failed the computer test?

Cheers
same case here:( i was shocked because i was fairly confident- perhaps the personality test which is pretty subjective

ChrissyPrezzie
8th Jan 2024, 12:22
One more thing, policy can change in a slap of a finger, just like CX Dragon, no one knew it was coming except for the management., any information regarding to pay, flight hours, fleet allocation, wait time to promotion etc, might not be valid this time next year. So much could happen in between and nothing is guaranteed. Afterall CX is a business, not an institution nor a charity, Something that needs to be taken into an account as well.

A failing business. Cancelling flights in the peak season because their soldiers have been maxed out? And they are betting on the cadets to make up the numbers?! Woah...

meowtofly
9th Jan 2024, 04:17
Just wondering how many months fresh grad cadets need to wait for the induction course?

MalcolmTucker
10th Jan 2024, 02:40
So, does application deleted in the system on the day after the final interview means 'rejected'? My cousin got the same situation as many of you guys reported here about the application disappear issue, any of you guys still got invitation for medical assessment even the application gone?

nkw1294
10th Jan 2024, 22:10
Hi all,

Could you please be so kind to explain what is the usual duty for a SO during flight preparation before take off and after landing? I understand that SO will be able to operate the aircraft above 20,000 feet with the P2X rating. But what about before take-off and after landing. What will be the tasks for the SO?

Many thanks!

Boulanger
11th Jan 2024, 01:36
Hi all,

Could you please be so kind to explain what is the usual duty for a SO during flight preparation before take off and after landing? I understand that SO will be able to operate the aircraft above 20,000 feet with the P2X rating. But what about before take-off and after landing. What will be the tasks for the SO?

Many thanks!

You shadow the Captain and First Officer a bit by verifying the loading and the fuel you take on.

Once you are on the aircraft, you sometimes help out on the security check and ensuring required emergency equipment is on board.

​Then you make the bunks so that your colleagues can sleep.
​​
After that, you watch your colleagues fly until 20,000 feet. At which point, if it is in the middle of the night, you will swap out with one of the front seat crews, and monitor the cruise while they take their rest. You will likely be PM, so you will mostly just handle the radios and take a fuel check every hour.

Some time before top of descent, you will be back in your jumpseat, and watch until the airplane is parked.

saasddff
12th Jan 2024, 02:54
Hi all, I am new to this forum. This post is so informative and provides me so many insights! Thanks for contributing to it!
Just one thing that I know the flying hour is not mandatory, but it seems that many people have failed in the final interview because they don't have flying hours. Do you happen to know anyone who passed the final interview without flying hours and could share how they managed to convince the interviewers? I am thinking if I should also get a trial flight at somewhere before applying the cadet.
I was trying to find a successful case of 0 hour cadet in the four hundred pages but it's just kind of impossible... please bear with me to ask about it directly. Thank you so much in advance!

saasddff
12th Jan 2024, 02:57
A failing business. Cancelling flights in the peak season because their soldiers have been maxed out? And they are betting on the cadets to make up the numbers?! Woah...
I know pilots can fly up to 900 hours a calendar year. So what would happen to them if they have reached the 900 hours? Are they gonna do the office work in the remaining of year or should it be holiday/training?
Thanks all!

chriscxfriend
12th Jan 2024, 13:53
same case here:( i was shocked because i was fairly confident- perhaps the personality test which is pretty subjective

I took the computer-based aptitude test as well on 3 Jan and haven’t heard anything. Did you take it on 3/4 Jan?

Hardrod
13th Jan 2024, 13:57
You shadow the Captain and First Officer a bit by verifying the loading and the fuel you take on.

Once you are on the aircraft, you sometimes help out on the security check and ensuring required emergency equipment is on board.

​Then you make the bunks so that your colleagues can sleep.
​​
After that, you watch your colleagues fly until 20,000 feet. At which point, if it is in the middle of the night, you will swap out with one of the front seat crews, and monitor the cruise while they take their rest. You will likely be PM, so you will mostly just handle the radios and take a fuel check every hour.

Some time before top of descent, you will be back in your jumpseat, and watch until the airplane is parked.

Why do you want to become a pilot?

Because I enjoy making the bunks, watching my colleagues to fly while me sitting at the back eating sandwiches, posting selfies of myself in the cockpit bragging about my pilot life to my friends and family on instagram but in fact I'm just an office boy, that to me, is the greatest joy in my life and I am happy to do it for 6/7 years with no complaint at all. That's why I want to become a pilot. A pilot that will do takeoffs and landing in a simulator but not in real life! And I am totally happy with the ****ty pay and fine to be a slave, as long as I am a pilot of Cathay Pathetic! WooHoo!

Boulanger
14th Jan 2024, 18:17

Because I enjoy making the bunks, watching my colleagues to fly while me sitting at the back eating sandwiches, posting selfies of myself in the cockpit bragging about my pilot life to my friends and family on instagram but in fact I'm just an office boy, that to me, is the greatest joy in my life and I am happy to do it for 6/7 years with no complaint at all. That's why I want to become a pilot. A pilot that will do takeoffs and landing in a simulator but not in real life! And I am totally happy with the ****ty pay and fine to be a slave, as long as I am a pilot of Cathay Pathetic! WooHoo!

I enjoyed the post. On a serious note, being an SO is really not a good job. The experienced gathered is not marketable, and the company will treat you poorly. It can easily end up being a career-ending dead end job. I went through it, and still have scars to this day. Have "moved beyond," but only because I was lucky. Of course, your mileage may vary. For those who want the job, all the best of luck..

saasddff
16th Jan 2024, 16:38
Hi Boulanger, may you be so kind to share more specifically about your experience on how bad the SO job is?
From what I saw online, the SO job seems to be quite boring, just sitting in the back and monitoring things most of the time. It seems to be boring but easy. Such workload or nature compared to the pay, I thought it was quite good tho? I could be wrong, please correct me if you see anything wrong below as its just my understanding from the information available online and I know it definitely not the full picture.
During the 3 years that a part of salary has to compensate for the training fee, the SO is getting at least 30K (HKD), and then close to 50K (HKD) after that 3 years, while just sitting in the back mainly and studying by self most of the time. If lucky enough, in 6-10 years time, the salary will rise to 80K (HKD) per month when moved up to FO, not to mention the captain's range.
I know if for a person who loves to fly an airplane, it must be tough to not having control for 6-7 years. But as an average person with non-aviation background, I think the path and remuneration is actually quite good for SO. I was a manager dealing a lot of pressure situations day to day, and the pay was also just 50k (HKD) a month, with no much room to climb up. So, from the angle of an outsider, it feels like quite good to start as a SO. Could you please share more how bad the SO job actually is, so I can really have a second thought before making a turn?
Thank you!

itsLouiss_
20th Jan 2024, 08:10
Hello,

I’ve sent my application last Jan 4 and got a reply on the 9th saying they needed a document from me and that I have 7 days to submit. I submit the document on the 12th. Any ideas maybe on when they’ll get back to me? Hoping they’ll reply soon.

trigonometry
21st Jan 2024, 08:20

I admire your sarcasm, harsh, but absolutely true. Nothing is more important than earning real experiences, and that's why I've always been in favor of Dragon (And HK Airlines), more than CX back then. Flying a 320 might not be as attractive as 773, but, the good thing is, you get to fly a few more rounds to build experiences, to any entry level pilot, this is absolutely crucial, not spending X number of years watch and observe.

Look at Singapore Air, they are also hiring cadets, but their cadets will go straight to be FO rather than P2X, a huge difference.

lasi
24th Jan 2024, 01:50
Hi, does anyone know how long it will take to receive the result of initial interview? Did my interview 2 days ago, the application is still active in portal, but haven't heard anything yet.

SoniaFrost780
24th Jan 2024, 07:41
Hello. I wish to start training to become an airline pilot in 2025 after finishing my degree. I'm a permanent Hong Kong resident. I searched online and found that Cathay Pacific has restarted its sponsored cadet program. I can't apply for Cathay's cadet program because of the six-year loan giveback period. I can't fly for continuous six years due to personal reasons but being a pilot is my dream goal. I want to make sure that I really can't before changing my goal. HKIAA has a newly released cadet pilot program but it's fee is unaffordable. Are there any other cadet programs eligible for HK residents in other countries with less than six years loan giveback period? Thank you.

mixd208
24th Jan 2024, 22:48
Hello. I wish to start training to become an airline pilot in 2025 after finishing my degree. I'm a permanent Hong Kong resident. I searched online and found that Cathay Pacific has restarted its sponsored cadet program. I can't apply for Cathay's cadet program because of the six-year loan giveback period. I can't fly for continuous six years due to personal reasons but being a pilot is my dream goal. I want to make sure that I really can't before changing my goal. HKIAA has a newly released cadet pilot program but it's fee is unaffordable. Are there any other cadet programs eligible for HK residents in other countries with less than six years loan giveback period? Thank you.

If you cannot fly for six years continuously, there is not any cadet pilot programmes eligible for you. Usually the candidates of the cadet pilot programmes are bonded for 6-7 years (SQ for 7 yrs, BA for 6 yrs) after training. The self-finance cadet programme would be more suitable for you.

meowtofly
25th Jan 2024, 04:16
What makes you cannot fly for continuous six years? or you just don't want to be bonded by CX for 6 years?

jbking
27th Jan 2024, 09:25
As far as I know, a lot of cadet programs in Japan don’t explicitly state that you have to sign a contracts for whatever years. They neither require citizenship nor PR, well at least they don’t openly mention that citizenship/PR is required.
However, I’ve never heard of a case foreigners getting accepted to these kind of programs even his mother tongue is Japanese, was born in Japan and raised up there. Perhaps there’s this hidden discrimination against foreigners, who knows. And even for pure Japanese, getting into JAL or ANA cadet is extremely difficult, perhaps as hard as getting into Harvard or even harder.
So technically there’s an option for you. But I doubt there’s a company willing to spend money and train you knowing you won’t work for them long enough. There’s no such thing as a free lunch.

smepc
29th Jan 2024, 05:13
I'm eager to share my recent 'terrible' interview experience. I use the term terrible not because I didn't achieve the expected outcome, but due to some unsettling discussions. Initially, I thought I would just move on, but now I feel it's important to share my perspective with those who might apply or join this program in the future.

The HR person, named Ada, spent the entire interview process looking down, making me feel like she wasn't interested in our interaction. Additionally, when asked certain questions, I even felt somewhat offended. She came across as arrogant. For example, she repeatedly questioned why I wasn't pursuing a career as a cabin crew member or engineer. It felt like going for a bartender position in a restaurant, and the interviewer asks, 'Hey, why don't you want to be a chef instead?' Moving on, there were instances where she seemed not to understand my points and facts, despite my patient explanations. I was often asked rhetorical questions. It was like being interrogated, 'Are you sure you weren't at the scene?' I simply stated what I knew, and while these things are easily verifiable, I didn't appreciate being questioned this way. Another issue was being asked technical questions during the initial interview. It felt as if Ada, after asking everything possible, still wanted to find something you don't know to trip you up. Imagine living in your house all your life and being asked, 'Hey, do you know how many planks of wood make up the fence around your house?'

As expected, I received an unsuccessful email. It's no wonder there's always been talk about intense conflicts between HR and pilots here. I can imagine why, as even before joining the program, I felt a complete lack of respect. They recruit hundreds of cadets each year, so they don’t really need to respect someone like me. Well, best of luck to everyone else.

iBlueGoose
29th Jan 2024, 11:01
Anyone know what is involved in a Teams interview?

itsLouiss_
31st Jan 2024, 01:23
I sent my application and after a few weeks they outright just rejected me. Although I’ve reached all the requirements (except the ICAO as I have not taken it yet), they still didn’t accept my application. Is there any possible reason why they would just straight up reject an applicant even though they reached all requirements? Do I have to take the ICAO test before applying?

”Thank you for submitting the application for Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme.

We have carefully reviewed your application and regret to inform you that you have not been selected to proceed to the next stage on this occasion. 

Thank you for your interest in our Cadet Pilot Programme. We encourage you to continue pursuing your passion for aviation and wish you the best in your future endeavours.”

meowtofly
31st Jan 2024, 02:48
I sent my application and after a few weeks they outright just rejected me. Although I’ve reached all the requirements (except the ICAO as I have not taken it yet), they still didn’t accept my application. Is there any possible reason why they would just straight up reject an applicant even though they reached all requirements? Do I have to take the ICAO test before applying?

”Thank you for submitting the application for Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme.

We have carefully reviewed your application and regret to inform you that you have not been selected to proceed to the next stage on this occasion. 

Thank you for your interest in our Cadet Pilot Programme. We encourage you to continue pursuing your passion for aviation and wish you the best in your future endeavours.”
Are you a HKPR? or from mainland China?

jbking
31st Jan 2024, 07:27

It’s pretty rare, but I’ve heard of several people getting rejected at the initial screening process.
No company will 100% give you an interview opportunity by only meeting the requirements listed on the website. Cathay at least sends out rejection letters so you know you’re not selected. A lot of the companies will simply ignore you. They could reject you based on your resume, cover letter etc. It could be the education background although there are some high school kids getting in. It could be the English grades, math grades whatever you filled in the application.
Did the email say when you can apply again? If not, why not just polish your resume and give it another try in case you feel your background is competitive enough. There’s not much else you can do.

itsLouiss_
31st Jan 2024, 07:58
Are you a HKPR? or from mainland China? Yes I am an HKPR

itsLouiss_
1st Feb 2024, 07:44
It’s pretty rare, but I’ve heard of several people getting rejected at the initial screening process.
No company will 100% give you an interview opportunity by only meeting the requirements listed on the website. Cathay at least sends out rejection letters so you know you’re not selected. A lot of the companies will simply ignore you. They could reject you based on your resume, cover letter etc. It could be the education background although there are some high school kids getting in. It could be the English grades, math grades whatever you filled in the application.
Did the email say when you can apply again? If not, why not just polish your resume and give it another try in case you feel your background is competitive enough. There’s not much else you can do. They didn’t really tell me when I can reapply again, all they said was they wouldn’t be proceeding with the application process.

Although I’ve tried refining my application, once it’s sent I’m unable to edit anymore, and the date of application still shows it was the first I’ve sent so I’m worried the application I’m sending still has the same details as my first application, without the new information.

JLTW
1st Feb 2024, 23:25
Hi everyone,

I'm currently weighing my options for the CX Cadet Program. Despite the attractive job security and home based in HK where I'm from, I've seen comments about a potentially toxic work environment and the 6-year contract as an SO with not much actual flight time. I'm currently self-financing my PPL in the UK, so I'd like to know if anyone have firsthand insights. Is the program still worth it, considering the potential drawbacks, or may as well apply for direct entry FO in the future or join other cadet programs such as BA, etc.? Thank you

P.S. I'm an HKPR with resident status in the UK atm...and preferably to stay in HK in the long run

meowtofly
2nd Feb 2024, 00:48
They didn’t really tell me when I can reapply again, all they said was they wouldn’t be proceeding with the application process.

Although I’ve tried refining my application, once it’s sent I’m unable to edit anymore, and the date of application still shows it was the first I’ve sent so I’m worried the application I’m sending still has the same details as my first application, without the new information.
I think you need to contact them directly by email to clarfiy with it. Some high school grads with 0 flying experience also got interview invitation.

itsLouiss_
2nd Feb 2024, 01:36
I think you need to contact them directly by email to clarfiy with it. Some high school grads with 0 flying experience also got interview invitation. Do you happen to know the email I can contact? I can’t seem to find an email where I can contact the recruitment team

amy wang
4th Feb 2024, 01:14
Hi everyone, I am applying for Cathay Pacific cadet pilot. I just wondering if anyone can share some interview questions and any tips for interview? Thanks a lot.

jbking
4th Feb 2024, 10:11
Depends on your background.
For zero hour guys read PHAK multiple times and understand every single details and aim to be a native English speaker or at least somewhat close. Then bs about your passion. Sometimes you’re kinda required to show you possess some additional aviation knowledge other than what’s written on PHAK to prove your passion, that’s a tricky part. Otherwise, pretty straightforward except the cut-e might require some prep.

SkorpionG9542
5th Feb 2024, 10:17
I'm eager to share my recent 'terrible' interview experience. I use the term terrible not because I didn't achieve the expected outcome, but due to some unsettling discussions. Initially, I thought I would just move on, but now I feel it's important to share my perspective with those who might apply or join this program in the future.

The HR person, named Ada, spent the entire interview process looking down, making me feel like she wasn't interested in our interaction. Additionally, when asked certain questions, I even felt somewhat offended. She came across as arrogant. For example, she repeatedly questioned why I wasn't pursuing a career as a cabin crew member or engineer. It felt like going for a bartender position in a restaurant, and the interviewer asks, 'Hey, why don't you want to be a chef instead?' Moving on, there were instances where she seemed not to understand my points and facts, despite my patient explanations. I was often asked rhetorical questions. It was like being interrogated, 'Are you sure you weren't at the scene?' I simply stated what I knew, and while these things are easily verifiable, I didn't appreciate being questioned this way. Another issue was being asked technical questions during the initial interview. It felt as if Ada, after asking everything possible, still wanted to find something you don't know to trip you up. Imagine living in your house all your life and being asked, 'Hey, do you know how many planks of wood make up the fence around your house?'

As expected, I received an unsuccessful email. It's no wonder there's always been talk about intense conflicts between HR and pilots here. I can imagine why, as even before joining the program, I felt a complete lack of respect. They recruit hundreds of cadets each year, so they don’t really need to respect someone like me. Well, best of luck to everyone else.

I agree with you, smepc. As I shared the same terrible HR interview experience and eventually got failed from the HR interview recently. I can't remember what the HR's name is, but the very first bad impression she gave me was that she was late for around 5 minutes in a 30-minutes HR interview. After having a brief self-intro. She keep asking me why not to apply for the graduate engineer/other job in Cathay Pacific, despite I had said that I won't be qualified for graduate engineer. The HR seems to be poor in understanding English and even worse understanding about her own compony business. As I am graduating this summer, she keep asking why I don't apply for the Cadet pilot after graduation instead, while all engineer student I know (including me) would start seeking graduate job as early as October in their final academic year and no one would start finding a job only after their graduation. Although other questions about the Cadet program was also asked, the previous two make me annoyed about her and don't wanna answer the remaining (still she keep asking me why don't apply for other jobs/ why not apply after graduation then).

I could definitely feel her umprofession in HR jobs. I feel like that even if I could do more to "show my passion in aviation", she would still give vitriol comment like "why don't you do more?". No wonder why so many experienced pilot leave Cathay Pacific and seek their next pilot job in a higher-paid, more respected company environment.

Recent news from Cathay Pacific said they "Pledges No Pay Cuts" to retain pilot. Not sure why the management team are so ambitious that they could stop the outflowing pilot by offering "no pay cut", while all major airline (in US, not sure what other countries airlines do) are trying to attract pilots by offering a significant raise in salary. Not to mention that pilot salary in Cathay only offer two-step salary scale, while others airline's salary keep increasing every year a pilot working in their company.

Definitely considering training in foreign country and work after CPL training(e.g. CA, US) to accumulate real PIC experience if one could afford a training fee around $1M HKD.

jbking
5th Feb 2024, 19:17
I agree with you, smepc. As I shared the same terrible HR interview experience and eventually got failed from the HR interview recently. I can't remember what the HR's name is, but the very first bad impression she gave me was that she was late for around 5 minutes in a 30-minutes HR interview. After having a brief self-intro. She keep asking me why not to apply for the graduate engineer/other job in Cathay Pacific, despite I had said that I won't be qualified for graduate engineer. The HR seems to be poor in understanding English and even worse understanding about her own compony business. As I am graduating this summer, she keep asking why I don't apply for the Cadet pilot after graduation instead, while all engineer student I know (including me) would start seeking graduate job as early as October in their final academic year and no one would start finding a job only after their graduation. Although other questions about the Cadet program was also asked, the previous two make me annoyed about her and don't wanna answer the remaining (still she keep asking me why don't apply for other jobs/ why not apply after graduation then).

I could definitely feel her umprofession in HR jobs. I feel like that even if I could do more to "show my passion in aviation", she would still give vitriol comment like "why don't you do more?". No wonder why so many experienced pilot leave Cathay Pacific and seek their next pilot job in a higher-paid, more respected company environment.

Recent news from Cathay Pacific said they "Pledges No Pay Cuts" to retain pilot. Not sure why the management team are so ambitious that they could stop the outflowing pilot by offering "no pay cut", while all major airline (in US, not sure what other countries airlines do) are trying to attract pilots by offering a significant raise in salary. Not to mention that pilot salary in Cathay only offer two-step salary scale, while others airline's salary keep increasing every year a pilot working in their company.

Definitely considering training in foreign country and work after CPL training(e.g. CA, US) to accumulate real PIC experience if one could afford a training fee around $1M HKD.
Well, who doesn’t want to work for US Majors if you’ve got that green card or passport?
Do you know the paying scale in Canada, especially those regionals? After spending $1M, what are you gonna do? Middle East? Going back to HK?
The reality is that the majority of us don’t have any other options. We all know Cathay sucks, but at least Cathay covers your training cost and you will get paid decently compared to those guys trying to reach 1500 hours in the first couple of years. If you’re a US citizen, congrats you’re the lucky one.

Hardrod
6th Feb 2024, 03:50

That's because they have been given a new target - Direct Entry Second Officer. Have a look. They just reopened the hiring. All thanks to the "task force" I guess? Endless Waiting!

https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jobs/second-officer-direct-entry-2977238

mantoholic
6th Feb 2024, 08:02
Hi newbie here.

Have submitted my application to CX on 19th Jan but still pending reply. Got offer from HKIAA cadet programme, but it's too expensive plus employment is not guaranteed.

I just turned 36, earning over $120K/month in the public sector but sick of my job. Have mortgage, a wife and Canada passport. No aviation experience except flight sim. Have been thinking of pursuing an aviation dream and seeking inspirations in this forum, instead finding the realistic side of this sector.

Applied for the CX CPP before COVID but was rejected at the initial stage. No idea why.

It's a very difficult decision to start all over. Anyone have similar experiences?

mantoholic
6th Feb 2024, 08:16
Hello,

I’ve sent my application last Jan 4 and got a reply on the 9th saying they needed a document from me and that I have 7 days to submit. I submit the document on the 12th. Any ideas maybe on when they’ll get back to me? Hoping they’ll reply soon.
hello, they got back to you yet?

Hardrod
6th Feb 2024, 23:03
Karen Leung, Talent Acquisition Specialist - Cadet Pilot Program
E: [email protected]
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/karen-leung-0339a0128/?trk=public-profile-join-page

Ada Pang, Assistant Manager Talent Acquisition
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ada-pang-45911513a/

Carman Wong, Assistant Manager Talent Acquisition
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carman-wong-066a43146/

Becky Ng, Assistant Manager Talent Acquisition - Pilot Recruitment
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/becky-ng-ab200012b/

Yanni Chan, Talent Acquisition Officer - Pilot
T: +852 2747 2390
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yanni-chan-684826209/

Elene Cheng, Talent Acquisition Manager - Operation
T: +852 2747 8246
Linkedin:https://www.linkedin.com/in/elene-cheng-0408a6a8/

Feel free to bother them with load of your questions and frustration. Sure they would love to hear from you.

itsLouiss_
7th Feb 2024, 05:39
hello, they got back to you yet? I got a response from the flight recruitment team confirming if I have the right to live and work in HK (which I do as I am an HKPR). Not sure if that’s a sign that they’re considering my application or not though.

VC2PewePilota
7th Feb 2024, 10:21
That salary is unheard of in other countries for public service @manthonic, and also enviable to ppl in the private sector at your age. people aren't even making half your salary at your age.. consider carefully if money is no object/ you got your finances in order / you got a backup plan if things dont pan out... or.. just go for it which is what someone in their mid 20's would do...

VC2PewePilota
7th Feb 2024, 10:35
Guessing the DESO are for those new grads from the aviation program or int'l talent but not quite FO hrs? Who else will meet ATPL req. with 250 Hrs behind a seat

centurion98
12th Feb 2024, 11:49
Hey man. From your earnings I would presume you are of senior officer grade (?). I also spent a bit of time in the gov and was on track to make a good income that people my page could hardly have. I understand how hard of a decision that was. But I was young and lucky enough to not have the burden that you have, and I got into the programme not long ago. Back-up plan is not doubt something you should consider. I would suggest if you were to go for it, make sure you have the financial reserve to cover your liabilities in the coming few years. And more importantly to have your family support. It is a risky and long commitment (for 6 yrs) for people with dependables.

Have you considered moving to Canada and do some recreational flying there?

SkorpionG9542
13th Feb 2024, 04:56
Hi newbie here.

Have submitted my application to CX on 19th Jan but still pending reply. Got offer from HKIAA cadet programme, but it's too expensive plus employment is not guaranteed.

I just turned 36, earning over $120K/month in the public sector but sick of my job. Have mortgage, a wife and Canada passport. No aviation experience except flight sim. Have been thinking of pursuing an aviation dream and seeking inspirations in this forum, instead finding the realistic side of this sector.

Applied for the CX CPP before COVID but was rejected at the initial stage. No idea why.

It's a very difficult decision to start all over. Anyone have similar experiences?

I think it is very difficult to give suggestion to a person that have currently a stable salary that is comparable to a airline captain to resign from the current job and all-in to start another career at the age of mid-30s.
Here is my humble suggestion from a university student to-be graduated this summer could give you:

Other than Canadian passport, do you still have any other kinds of foreign residency/citizenship/ work permit? Say US/AU or even Europe.
No matter yes or no, I would suggest that you can make use of your annual leave/ holidays to go to US or Canada to have a discovery flight (and even try to get a private pilot license but it might take for few months even studying full-time) to see if you are really interested to become a pilot. Simply obtaining a PPL won't cost too much at your current income. (I think you could get a trial flight at South-East Asia for cheaper price, though getting a license at South-East Asia might not be a very wise choice since they might have less global accreditation)

Many people on the internet said they start to become a pilot even at the age of 40s/50s or above, so it shouldn't be too late for you to start flying at your age.
However, given that you still have mortgage and a family, I think you have better pay back all your mortgage first before you resign so you won't fall in a financial trouble after you switched your path to aviation. Better reserve about $1M for flight training cost (From 0 hours to flight instructor rating finished)
The difficulties for a career in pilot concentrates between 0 hours to getting your first job in regional airline. If you could get yourself to 1500hrs flight hours for PIC, it should make you competitive to find a job and the remaining part is to keep accumulating hours to get into major airlines

Hope my suggestions help and wish you can achieve your dream! :ok:

Boulanger
13th Feb 2024, 12:11
The aviation sector in Hong Kong is incredibly difficult to navigate. While I do know of people who joined CX as SOs in their late 30s and even 40s, the career stagnation during the SO tenure (not to mention the constant effects of jet lag from operating during the window of circadian low), can make it a difficult position to hold. Also, one would not have an income during the cadet program, and will receive a reduced salary for several years after cadet graduation. If one holds a lot of cash on reserve and a Canadian passport, I would say either to go to Canada and build an aviation career over there, or perhaps consider the HKIAA program, since it gets you into the right seat right away assuming you get hired.

mistertoms
15th Feb 2024, 04:01
Hi there, I am in an oddly similar situation as mantoholic having just turned 35, with a Canadian passport and seriously considering pursuing this path (again). The only difference is I've no mortgage or dependables. I applied to CX cadet program 12 years ago but didn't make it past the interview. My career went another path since and have now saved up enough to consider either HKIAA cadet program, living in another country (Cape Town or New Zealand) for flight training for X months/year, or applying to CX cadet program again.

From those I've asked thus far, it seems CX cadet program is the best way to go as it guarantees a job at the end, takes the shortest time and cheapest immediate cost of the 3 options. I understand I wouldn't have income or have reduced salary for the next six years but I should be fine if I'm frugal with my finances. Boulanger curious as to why you suggested not to go with the CX cadet program route given that it should be the fastest and immediately cheapest option between 0 hours and first job.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

meowtofly
15th Feb 2024, 05:45
Hi there, I am in an oddly similar situation as mantoholic having just turned 35, with a Canadian passport and seriously considering pursuing this path (again). The only difference is I've no mortgage or dependables. I applied to CX cadet program 12 years ago but didn't make it past the interview. My career went another path since and have now saved up enough to consider either HKIAA cadet program, living in another country (Cape Town or New Zealand) for flight training for X months/year, or applying to CX cadet program again.

From those I've asked thus far, it seems CX cadet program is the best way to go as it guarantees a job at the end, takes the shortest time and cheapest immediate cost of the 3 options. I understand I wouldn't have income or have reduced salary for the next six years but I should be fine if I'm frugal with my finances. Boulanger curious as to why you suggested not to go with the CX cadet program route given that it should be the fastest and immediately cheapest option between 0 hours and first job.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
If you are a Canadian, why don't you do the flight training in Canada? You can try to get a low time pilot job in Canada to accumulate some flying hours then jump to Jazz or WestJet Encore meanwhile applying CX DESO or HKE SO/FO.

Boulanger
15th Feb 2024, 12:06
mistertoms I'm sure at some point in life you've heard of the phrase "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is." It is an apt phrase, as on the surface, the cadet program being the "fastest and immediately cheapest" option sounds like a very good deal. I thought it was a pretty good deal many years ago too, although I cannot say the same today. I am not one to try and persuade anyone to not give it a shot, but for your own sake, you better know what you are getting into first.

When you go in as a cadet, you will have no salary for the first year and a bit. You are not even employed by CX until you are actually finished. Once you do finish, you will be bonded for more than half a decade and will have a fresh Hong Kong Commercial Pilot License (CPL), with just bare minimum hours that make it impossible to convert this license to another country CPL without supplementary training. Regardless, you will be locked in with CX. Assuming they give you an offer to become a Second Officer (SO), you will then proceed to get a P2X type rating, which is essentially a restricted type rating forbidding you to do takeoffs and landings and to even touch the controls below 20,000 feet. The only experience that is of any value in aviation is P1 and P2, not P2X, so you will not exactly be gaining any experience during your tenure. You will start year 1 as a brand new inexperienced pilot. If you get stuck as an stuck as an SO for a number of years, you will still be a brand new inexperienced pilot by the end of however many years of your tenure. Last I checked, people were waiting for 6-7 years, and the P2X will prevent you from leaving (on top of the bond mentioned above) unless you have prior experience. The length you serve is a tossup. There used to be a 5 year cap. Not anymore.

So, you will be stuck for a few years, which in my opinion is not recommended for someone in their 30s. You will likely come across First Officers or even Captains who are younger than you while you serve grinding away doing fuel checks and making bunks at 3 am in the morning. Your upgrade to First Officer is also not guaranteed, you will need to interview again for the role at some point, and if there is anything CX is transparent to their own staff, it is that they don't earnestly care about your career progression. It is cheaper for them to hire an experienced First Officer externally than to upgrade their own second officers (of whom they can easily replace), since the latter requires more training resources and thus more cost to fill the role. CX is very comfortable in filling FO roles with experienced external hires, and back filling SOs since there is no shortage of local demand. The only exception to this is when they are desperate. Additionally, if you have not followed aviation news during the year or two, you may be interested to know that CX is at the forefront of working with airbus in working out a solution for single pilot operations in the cruise for long hauls. Much of your functioning role as a Second Officer can already be replaced by automation in those shiny new A350s. Regardless of whether this happens in the near future, do you really want to be stuck in a role where you cannot gain experience, where your employer prevents you in leaving, and where your employer is also actively trying to find a way to replace you by a machine? Your call.

You mentioned you hold a Canadian passport. Canadians overseas who are fresh out of flight school can acquire PIC/Co-pilot time (essentially P1 and P2). Many regional airlines these days go as far as hiring fresh CPLs out of flight school with the kind of pilot shortage they have in that side of the world. Those who don't make it to the airlines right away can still find jobs instructing, or working for smaller charter operators acquiring valuable experience. Is it more expensive? Sure. Is the pay there glamorous? Absolutely not, but neither is the rest of aviation these days. However, in 6-7 years, there is a good chance many of them become captains on some kind of aircraft.

lasi
15th Feb 2024, 15:33
Hi everyone, how long does it normally take for the application to be deleted from the portal after final interview?