PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34

jacarandaa
29th Nov 2022, 07:38
Not sure if you took the aptitude test yet, but if you did you probably know what it's like now. But I'll reply just for those who are looking to apply in the near future or are about to take the test. The test is run by Aon, so just search Aon [the test in question] on Google and you should be able to find some sample tests.
Monitoring Ability: it's a test with moving dots and you pretty much have to guess how many there are. This one was virtually impossible when it reaches 8+ balls and you pretty much just have to guess. Tells you if you were right or wrong every question.
Spatial Orientation: plane with a heading and a location beacon and you select where the plane is out of 9 possible spots. No instant feedback.
Complex Control: fly through a tunnel trying to get to the highest "level". You can control the speed, but it will also automatically speed up if you keep going without hitting anything. If you hit something, it will stop you briefly and continue on.
Applied Numeracy: 20 questions of pretty simple math, you have 15 minutes to do them. Calculators are allowed so if you know your formulas it's pretty simple (ie. volume, area, conversions, percentages, etc.) No instant feedback.
Multi-Tasking: 3 tasks: determine if a triangle is point left or right, mental addition/subtraction, duplicates numbers. Pretty easy if you're good at mental math. Instant feedback for wrong answers.
Reaction Speed: 2 shapes, press equal when same shape. Easiest test IMO. Instant feedback.
Work Related Behavior: the most time consuming one. I think there were about 100 questions and took me about 30 minutes to do them.

I don't know how well I did but they sent me a final interview offer within 2 hours of submitting the aptitude test.
Will update on what they ask after my interview!

Also not related, but a lot of salty, angry, and gatekeeping elitists on this forum lol

Hi! Thanks a lot for sharing. May i ask how far away is your final interview? And did they give you any choices in terms of time slots? Heard the process is pretty rushed nowadays with little to no time to prepare, unlike the old times where they took their time for different stages.

Hardrod
29th Nov 2022, 08:13
dot0086, perhaps you will understand more when you put yourself in their shoes.
jacarandaa, Why the rush? Here is your answer.

Cathay’s pilot exodus persists as pandemic curbs hit morale
Quarantines and demanding schedules prompt flood of resignations, with 30 to 50 pilots leaving each month

One Cathay Pacific pilot had been with the airline for more than five years and planned a long career.
But at the end of September, he quit the Hong Kong carrier, packed up his belongings and headed to Australia for a lower-paying job at a flying academy.
Cathay and its long-suffering pilots have been big casualties of the pandemic, as severe job cuts and punishing Covid-19 restrictions have disrupted operations and hit profits.

“I just needed a break from everything . . . I don’t want to work for Cathay anymore,” said the pilot, who asked not to be named. He added the constant Covid tests and restrictions had sapped his morale and left him tired and stressed.

Working conditions were badly disrupted when Cathay sacked 8,500 people, almost a quarter of its staff, at the height of the pandemic in 2020.

A flood of pilot resignations followed a year later because of anger over pay cuts of up to 60 per cent and irritation with tough Covid-19 curbs.

Ronald Lam, Cathay’s chief customer and commercial officer who takes over as chief executive in January, told the FT last month that it would take another two years — until the end of 2024 or early 2025 — to reach pre-pandemic capacity again.
The airline, known for its premium lounges and loyalty schemes, also faces questions about its identity after the cost cuts.
Looking for new revenue streams after suffering during the pandemic, it aimed to reposition itself as a premium travel lifestyle brand with a focus on ecommerce.
“You have enough on your plate when you are trying to run an airline and just be a good transportation brand,” a former executive said.
“Running a premium lifestyle brand is hard. It is really, really hard . . . particularly now people are going to be back flying again in big numbers.”

In the end, the airline ended up searching for ways to save money as it attempted to reduce the number of cabin crew on each flight and lower the cost of some in-flight services such as drinks offered to passengers, said air crew and former executives.
Cathay insisted in a response that the number of cabin crew onboard flights was “comparable with the market and well above regulatory requirements”.
Among sustainability initiatives, it said it changed some drinks services to reduce the use of plastic, and it had “further enhanced food and beverage offerings” in business class.
“Unfortunately, it is what it is. Cathay has gone from a Rolex to a Casio,” one of the pilots said. “I don’t think you will see a huge recovery for a long, long time.”

www.ft.com/content/c906a883-94ad-438a-974d-fb8c42ce448c

dot0086
29th Nov 2022, 17:45
Hi! Thanks a lot for sharing. May i ask how far away is your final interview? And did they give you any choices in terms of time slots? Heard the process is pretty rushed nowadays with little to no time to prepare, unlike the old times where they took their time for different stages.

4 slots, furthest slot was 3 days away from invitation email. Pretty rushed indeed!

trigonometry
30th Nov 2022, 07:15

Agree. From the day I made an application to the day I had the interview, it only takes about three weeks, so things are definitely moving swiftly fast for me and I did not have the time to do much preparation, I was going with the flow. I remember at one point at the interview I was asked how soon I can start if I am accepted to the program, I was like, wow, you guys are really desperate..Have a bad feeling about this somehow lol.

henderson0117
3rd Dec 2022, 12:23
HI Trigonometry. I just get excited to hear from your story. I applied KA cadet in 2018. Now I'm preparing for the second application. Unfortunately, I cannot pm you since your inbox is fulled. Instead, I hope we could talk about it via Tg: davidcx0117 I'm grateful for your help.

aspiringp
3rd Dec 2022, 14:47
Hi guys,

I just recently applied for the cadet program and will be taking the computer-based assessment soon (by soon I mean in 2 days).
I am currently overseas and was wondering if the interview will be done online or in person.
If it will be done in person I am going to have to book my tickets soon so any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Rithfung
3rd Dec 2022, 19:51
The new process mostly conduct online, including the cut-e test and final interview.
However the ICAO english test might be a bit tricky, but I believe if you can find one ICAO exam provider in your city, CX will accept the result as well.
So the only process need to be done in person is medical check, which is conduct at CX headquarter i believe.

jacarandaa
4th Dec 2022, 02:55
4 slots, furthest slot was 3 days away from invitation email. Pretty rushed indeed!

Is the final interview conducted in person or via Teams? Cheers!

dot0086
5th Dec 2022, 04:30

I am located overseas and mine was done via Teams. I am not sure for those based locally.

Rithfung
6th Dec 2022, 11:38

Local here, got my final interview via Teams as well.
Only medical check needs to go cathay city in person

ttwt0910
8th Dec 2022, 01:46
Hi,I have done the aptitude test a week ago, but not yet receive any email, but my application on the Cathay portal has gone, does it means that I have failed? Thank you

sweet19
15th Dec 2022, 12:44
Just did my final interview this morning. It was super EASY!
Thought they were going to grill me hard on planes and basic aerodynamics stuff like that. None!

Interesting. I had my final interview recently, but this was not my experience. The technical portion was indeed technical with questions about aerodynamics and various systems on the plane like which system/part controls xyz and how does it work? Answers were followed by more in-depth questions until I couldn't answer any further.

Also, how long did you guys wait before receiving an offer/rejection after the final interview?

aviatorstudent
16th Dec 2022, 04:14
I know a few people that got an acceptance email on the same day.

Rithfung
16th Dec 2022, 06:46
Interesting. I had my final interview recently, but this was not my experience. The technical portion was indeed technical with questions about aerodynamics and various systems on the plane like which system/part controls xyz and how does it work? Answers were followed by more in-depth questions until I couldn't answer any further.

Also, how long did you guys wait before receiving an offer/rejection after the final interview?

What? People on the internet could be lying?? No wayyyyyy

I dont know others but friends I know can't get a ICAO 5 because of accent, also there are exactly 0 candidates I heard receive medical check mail in 3 hours.
Usually it take 7 to 10 days before receiving medical check mail, at least thats my case.

And I got drill many technical questions as well, like wind correction concept, force feed back, decompression etc, so yeah I dont think it was THAT easy.

Or maybe I am the one lying lol

sweet19
16th Dec 2022, 07:10

I dont know others but friends I know can't get a ICAO 5 because of accent, also there are exactly 0 candidates I heard receive medical check mail in 3 hours.
Usually it take 7 to 10 days before receiving medical check mail, at least thats my case.

And I got drill many technical questions as well, like wind correction concept, force feed back, decompression etc, so yeah I dont think it was THAT easy.

Thanks!

How well do you think you did in the technical interview on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being perfect? Were there any questions you just couldn't answer? I'd love to hear more about your experience.

henderson0117
16th Dec 2022, 07:11
you're not lying but it's clear that information on the Internet isn't accurate

whitsunday
16th Dec 2022, 08:30

Comparing to our selection process in our time, Yes, It is THAT easy.
By the way, everyone is lying these days, so what's the surprise? Even CX People Department lied about upgrade time at the interview. They tell you 3 years and then turns into 5-6 years, plenty of real examples out there.
Also, just because you don't know what you don't doesn't mean it does not exist. There are heaps of SOs out there who have a heavy accent, and they are ICAO level 5 pilot, flown with plenty of them before.

This new CX recruitment team is still testing the water, folks who used to be overseeing the process have gone, not all, but most of them, I wouldn't be surprise if someone had a different experiences then the other, afterall, nothing is fixed and
guaranteed at CX, including your EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT.

ChrissyPrezzie
16th Dec 2022, 11:16
So true. Cathay is probably one of the most deceitful companies in the world. Speaking of upgrade, a friend of mine used to be so crazy about the icadetship scheme. He applied the program about six years ago, smart enough to make it the final. At the interview, he asked the panel how long he needed to be a relief pilot before getting that promotion, they told him about 3 years, he was like, okay, 3 years of my life wasted in the cockpit, that’s okay for me, so he signed on the dot, six years later, you think he would be a First Officer by now? Wrong! He’s still a Second Office, turns out there were heaps of Direct Entry SOs, FOs, CNs jumping in the queue, 6 years on and he is still counting, and in between there is covid, the quarantine restrictions…looking back, he was like, I feel like I am being used…”about three years” how funny is that.

Rithfung
16th Dec 2022, 11:32
Thanks!

How well do you think you did in the technical interview on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being perfect? Were there any questions you just couldn't answer? I'd love to hear more about your experience.
I guess i am a 7/8? Every topic they ask I can explain the principles, and know enough real life examples, but I wish I can do better about control surface characteristics...

If you want we can discuss in pm, newjoiner discussion isn't very welcome here lol

aspiringp
16th Dec 2022, 12:41
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. I just want to thank those of you who replied to my previous post!
Once again, I am here to bother you all with a very trivial question.
I have been hearing conflicting information regarding the salary of a cadet pilot. Some have told me there is no salary because it is just a sponsored training course. Others have said there will be a salary. I tried doing my own research, but with no luck. On the careers page, benefits include an annual salary, but with the description "based on achieving target annual block hours". Cadets are training pilots so there are no block hours to achieve...
Could anyone knock some reality into me and tell me what benefits are offered to successful candidates throughout their "training period".

Thank you in advance.

AstridLLL
16th Dec 2022, 14:51
I have received the invitation for the computer based test 2 days ago. Anyone who has similar process with me, feel free to reach out.

btw, I’m located overseas now. CX said I can complete the the ICAO at later stages. Would it be after / before the panel interview assuming I can pass the computer based test.

Cheers !

aviatorstudent
17th Dec 2022, 04:48
I have received the invitation for the computer based test 2 days ago. Anyone who has similar process with me, feel free to reach out.

btw, I’m located overseas now. CX said I can complete the the ICAO at later stages. Would it be after / before the panel interview assuming I can pass the computer based test.

Cheers !

It would be before the panel interview.

whitsunday
17th Dec 2022, 06:53
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. I just want to thank those of you who replied to my previous post!
I have been hearing conflicting information regarding the salary of a cadet pilot. Some have told me there is no salary because it is just a sponsored training course. Others have said there will be a salary. I tried doing my own research, but with no luck. On the careers page, benefits include an annual salary, but with the description "based on achieving target annual block hours". Cadets are training pilots so there are no block hours to achieve...
Could anyone knock some reality into me and tell me what benefits are offered to successful candidates throughout their "training period".

Thank you in advance.

Historically speaking, cadets did not get paid with salary down in FTA, rather, they received some allowance from the company so that they can go out with their mates when they are not flying. (Not a lot I am sure about that) And because of that, folks who have family and kids needed to think twice and thrice before taking that deal. That was before covid. Now, since they split the training in two locations, 6 months in Hong Kong, 6 months somewhere else, I am not sure if they will ever entertain with that idea. But one thing for sure is, you will not get paid with full salary, even if they give you money, it won't be a lot for sure.

The salary package you see on the website, that is for those who have completed the training, who are offered a job as a Second Officer, not for Cadets. It is so misleading I know, they should have put a remark or change some of the wording, but, again, this is Cathay Pacific we are talking about here.

AstridLLL
17th Dec 2022, 14:25

Thank you !

aviatorstudent
18th Dec 2022, 13:04
I have my Final Interview in a few days and it's been split into 2 days HR and Technical. Would be great if people could reply or message me what questions they got so I can prepare for it, much appreciated, thanks!

ChrissyPrezzie
18th Dec 2022, 17:18
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance.

50 percent discount on getting all your licenses plus a guaranteed employment as a relief pilot for 3+ years plus some pocket money, that's the benefit you get as a cadet. I say 50 percent is because you will have to give up monthly allowance for three years involuntarily after they offer you a job, and the total of three years allowances makes up half of the training cost. For the record, it used to be 100 percent discount up until just a few years ago.

gowiththeflow
19th Dec 2022, 04:50
Hi ya'll. Got a quick question. What happened if I failed ground school or flight training, will CX ever make me pay back half of the training fees? I sent my enquiry to both the recruiting manager and flight crew recruitment inbox about three weeks ago, but no one responded to my enquiry, it is getting so frustrating! Anyone can help?

waiwai2022
28th Dec 2022, 00:25
I have my Final Interview in a few days and it's been split into 2 days HR and Technical. Would be great if people could reply or message me what questions they got so I can prepare for it, much appreciated, thanks!

Hi mate. How was the interview? To what standard of technical questions were asked? I will be having mine in a few days so any advice would be great!

USIS
29th Dec 2022, 10:59
Hi mate. How was the interview? To what standard of technical questions were asked? I will be having mine in a few days so any advice would be great!
Hello, just curious if you are having panel interview splitting into two days too?

waiwai2022
3rd Jan 2023, 06:57
yes. The process is now split into 2 days.

AstridLLL
5th Jan 2023, 08:44

Update: for others who is also located oversea

ICAO will be after the final interview (tech)
HR said both ICAO and medical can be done in parallel if you pass the final interview so you only have to go back to hk once.

tpbob
6th Jan 2023, 08:00
Hey everyone , does anyone know how long it takes for the medical assessment to come back? much thanks!

whitsunday
6th Jan 2023, 12:33
Living in Hong Kong? Pay 2000 bucks first before saying anything. Oh it's not refundable by the way. So if you fail at the interview, that's it. You can't get your money back.
Living in overseas? No worry. We will only make you pay after you pass the interview, a way to attract you to give it a shot. Poor locals.
Remind me, whose idea to outsource the test and move it up in the first place? Oh. I remember. Rachel Shieff, the former Cathay ICAO Specialist, as now became a mindset coach in her own gig...

bankertocadet
7th Jan 2023, 08:34
Whats up guys, had my final tech interview few days ago,
can share with you guys the questions

Tell me about yourself
Layers of atmosphere?
Why troposphere in some places is higher / lower?
Is the earth really a sphere?
Have you done any flying?
What did you do in your flying?
What is a spin?
How do you get out of a spin?
What is a jet stream?
What is the most turbulent part of the jet stream?
Why
What is a stall?
What's the difference between a spin and a spiral dive?
How to get out of a stall?
Whats your favorite topic of aviation?
Tell me about the 747
Whats the difference between -400 / -8
Why the -8 has raked wingtips and -400 has winglets?
whats the difference between the two?
Have you ever failed and tried again and passed?

samngng
9th Jan 2023, 10:15
Hi everyone, recently I receive offers with my friends
We would like to know whats the difference of batch name start with
CP
CX
CPA?

darrelkwai
9th Jan 2023, 14:03
Whats up guys, had my final tech interview few days ago,
can share with you guys the questions

Tell me about yourself
Layers of atmosphere?
Why troposphere in some places is higher / lower?
Is the earth really a sphere?
Have you done any flying?
What did you do in your flying?
What is a spin?
How do you get out of a spin?
What is a jet stream?
What is the most turbulent part of the jet stream?
Why
What is a stall?
What's the difference between a spin and a spiral dive?
How to get out of a stall?
Whats your favorite topic of aviation?
Tell me about the 747
Whats the difference between -400 / -8
Why the -8 has raked wingtips and -400 has winglets?
whats the difference between the two?
Have you ever failed and tried again and passed?
Do they ask questions based on your flying experience and degree? What if you have no experience flying, and study a totally unrelated degree. I study finance btw.

17zhangtr1
9th Jan 2023, 23:03
Hi everyone, recently I receive offers with my friends
We would like to know whats the difference of batch name start with
CP
CX
CPA?

CP = legacy course (FTA full year)
CX = integrated with PolyU (half year in Poly, 8-10 months in Phoenix)
CPA = integrated at CX city (ground school at CX, then flying in FTA, mainly for CPL holders I think)

bankertocadet
10th Jan 2023, 02:18
Do they ask questions based on your flying experience and degree? What if you have no experience flying, and study a totally unrelated degree. I study finance btw.
I believe so. I have 0 hours, studied business degree. I'm currently working as a Banker.

Rithfung
11th Jan 2023, 00:06
Little extra news, from those who accepted into CX4 seems changed into CPA3, which study in Cathay House for ground school instead......

unbakedmirrors
11th Jan 2023, 04:18
Hello, just wondering if passes in gcse subjects are accepted as requirement? I did not finish high school and was thinking to self study the subjects.

unbakedmirrors
11th Jan 2023, 04:20
Adding to my previous reply is i worked in IT for 10 years now and considering career change to aviation. thanks, any advice would help.

nicoz5082
13th Jan 2023, 04:26
What’s the waiting time after aptitude test nowadays?
anyone been through that recently?

R0gueone
13th Jan 2023, 08:55
Has anyone on the thread applied recently and got dates for apt tests/interviews?

jakredflight
18th Jan 2023, 15:32
Just did my final interview this morning. It was super EASY!
Thought they were going to grill me hard on planes and basic aerodynamics stuff like that. None!
They just asked me some simple questions. Questions like tell me a bit about yourself, why do you want to become a pilot, what makes a good pilot, do you think you have those qualities etc..
Within three hours I got an email saying that I passed. Phew! Now waiting to book for medical exam.
Anyone who interested in my experiences, feel free to send me a PM. I would love to share.

P.S. Don't worry much about the ICAO thing. It is super easy to get level 4. I did not prepare for the test and I spoke with a thick Hong Kong accent. They gave me level 5! The aptitude test is super easy as well. I got 6 wrong answers in tracking and I still passed. So don't worry much.

PM me if you have questions!

Hi there trigonometry! Glad to hear that you have passed the cadet interview, I have just received an invitation for interview and I am kind of struggling in the monitoring test (counting balls), I have tried to keep practicing it over and over, still not having an optimal performance, do you have any recommendations or tips you may suggest?

Also, I noticed that you mentioned the tech interview was relatively easy, can I know do you have any flying experience before? If so, how many hours have you got?

If you find it comfortable, you may reach me through on telegram: t.me/santoris42 (Username: santoris42).

Thanks a lot for your assistance! Look forward for you reply! :)

jakredflight
20th Jan 2023, 09:46
Hi there R0gueone. The processing times should be within 1 month to as short as 1 day, just make sure you have submitted all the documents in proper format, and this will quicken the way they handle your applications.

LatestPilotJobs / PASS or any other platforms are great ways for you to practice for the whole interview.

Good luck for your interview and all the best.
​​​

CXKR2022
23rd Jan 2023, 06:44
Hi all, Can anyone tell me how the CX initial medical check was?
Do they ask you to meet an eye doctor or does AME just do it all?

I have no problem with FAA and ICAO class 1 medical standards but I'm not sure how it will be if I have to meet an ophthalmologist as I have corneal dystrophy.

Also, it would be highly appreciated if you could share the detailed experience with CX medical check.

Thank you in advance.

17zhangtr1
24th Jan 2023, 23:28
jakredflight, I don't want to disappoint you but I did not prepare any of the tests. I just did not have the time. There was only a day or two between tests/interview which came in a surprise to me. And that's how I sensed of their desperation. They did not ask me any questions about planes at all, maybe because I am a zero hour guy. But I heard they have changed their interview style recently, so essentially you are gonna be looking at two round of interviews after you passed the cut-e test, day one, HR interview and day two, technical interview. I was lucky enough to be offered a place on the program but unfortunately I turned it down. Just can't get over the fact that I have to sit here for 4/5 years before I can fly a god damn plane. Afterall I want to fly, not sit here and watching somebody else to fly. Not fun. Good luck!

R0gueone, don't be silly, whether it is a video interview or in person interview it is still an interview. Unless you are going to dress up provocatively to seduce the interviewers I don't see how it matters. You should be asking smart questions, not the stupid ones. I mean if you wanted to succeed in your application.

Trigonometry, there are many reasons to not pursue/start your career as a pilot with CX as a cadet but being “forced” to be an SO and not fly planes for 4/5 years is not one of them. Very few (and dare I say no) airline will put you straight into the RHS of a wide-body to conduct take offs and landings as a zero hour guy. Qantas only hire SOs and similarly UA wide-body pilots start out as IROs. A career as an SO is what you make out of it (more than just babysitting the A/P) and the operational skills, knowledge, and experience you build will more than make up for the lack of “stick flying”.

Assuming you are not in your 50s, the 4/5 years as an SO is a drop in the bucket when compared to the 20/30/40+ years of flying you will have. Besides, even when you do make FO/CA, how much how hand flying will you do? 45 secs out of a 13 hour LH flight? I think you need to ask yourself if you truly understand what being a pilot is like and similarly what type of pilot you want to be (LH/Regional/Charter/Instructor?).

whitsunday
25th Jan 2023, 07:30
A career as an SO is what you make out of it (more than just babysitting the A/P) and the operational skills, knowledge, and experience you build will more than make up for the lack of “stick flying”.

Yeah there are so much about observing rather than getting hands-on experience, that’s why Dragon has to shut because they allowed their cadets to fly as JFO…Yeah, time does not matter because you are going to live a long life. A few years stuck at the jump seat is worth it..assuming you are still healthy and safe and nothing bad happened. Meanwhile the world keeps spinning and your peers keep promoting, you? I went through the CX stream, took me just under 2 years to climb on a rank. Now? God knows.

ChrissyPrezzie
25th Jan 2023, 16:50
https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jobs/cadet-pilot-cathay-dragon

You will receive more information about joining Cathay Dragon in Hong Kong as a First Officer upon successful completion of the Cadet Pilot programme.

For enquiries, please email [email protected].

Cathay Dragon is an Equal Opportunities Employer. Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with our personal data policy and for recruitment purposes only. All data will be kept on file for up to 24 months from the last date of submission or update.

Same program, two different outcome. Now everyone has to be forced to take on a longer route. How sad it is.

Boulanger
25th Jan 2023, 23:38
Trigonometry, there are many reasons to not pursue/start your career as a pilot with CX as a cadet but being “forced” to be an SO and not fly planes for 4/5 years is not one of them.

Actually it is. That 4/5 years (outdated) is more like 7+ these days as CX keeps hiring DEFOs in front of you. During the time as SO, the only logbook hours that you earn is relief time, which is not transferrable experience to a vast majority of airlines around the globe. So, you will be stuck in a role for an extensible period of time, and without the experience that provide you with any form of mobility and security. It is a dead-end job, and if you search online to what a dead-end job means, you will quickly find (especially if you end up in the position CX offers you) that this role meets every single criteria.

​​​

whitsunday
26th Jan 2023, 05:19
I think the majority of us who are active on this forum, have acquainted ourselves with the fact that we would be second officers for a long time. Nevertheless, despite the long course with little to no pay, and with only the prospect of one day possibly sitting left seat, its still enough to motivate us to one day be airline pilots with CX. Perhaps I have it wrong, and I only speak for myself. :-)​

If any top brass is reading your words here they would be absolutely delighted to see and they have no regret with what they did on POS18. Coz you have just proved them right. Reminds of the chicks who blindly chasing after "Mirror" on the street.

trigonometry
27th Jan 2023, 05:29
I think you need to ask yourself if you truly understand what being a pilot is like and similarly what type of pilot you want to be (LH/Regional/Charter/Instructor?).Ex boyfriend used to work for CX Dragon as a First Officer. At the interview he was given a choice to choose between CX and CX Dragon, he chose the latter, even though he hated to fly into China, I asked him why, he simply said, A) I did not want to be a babysitter for X years, B) CX is a sinking ship and I needed the hours as fast as I can. Even though he was sacked three years ago just like everyone else, he managed to seek employment with a US major airline, had his green card sorted out and now he's enjoying his free life. He told me, if I was a CX SO and I got sacked, I could not possibly find anyone to hire me with my P2X, because, apart from Cathay Pacific, no airlines in the world would consider my application, because I'm on P2X.

Honestly, I think the people who are so clinging on the cadetship scheme really underestimate the impact of P2X. All their eyes are fixing on the brand, on free lunch, on the guaranteed employment and the sort..If nothing happens then good for you, keep waiting, but if God forbid some catastrophe happen, such as Covid or any policy changes which result in 90 per cent of the fleet being grounded then you are trapped. Did I also mention that they are desperately seeking for Direct Entry First Officer as well? Many left but the line hasn’t changed.

That’s the reason I walked away.

Boulanger
28th Jan 2023, 02:01
Ex boyfriend used to work for CX Dragon as a First Officer. At the interview he was given a choice to choose between CX and CX Dragon, he chose the latter, even though he hated to fly into China, I asked him why, he simply said, A) I did not want to be a babysitter for X years, B) CX is a sinking ship and I needed the hours as fast as I can. Even though he was sacked three years ago just like everyone else, he managed to seek employment with a US major airline, had his green card sorted out and now he's enjoying his free life. He told me, if I was a CX SO and I got sacked, I could not possibly find anyone to hire me with my P2X, because, apart from Cathay Pacific, no airlines in the world would consider my application, because I'm on P2X.

Honestly, I think the people who are so clinging on the cadetship scheme really underestimate the impact of P2X. All their eyes are fixing on the brand, on free lunch, on the guaranteed employment and the sort..If nothing happens then good for you, keep waiting, but if God forbid some catastrophe happen, such as Covid or any policy changes which result in 90 per cent of the fleet being grounded then you are trapped. Did I also mention that they are desperately seeking for Direct Entry First Officer as well? Many left but the line hasn’t changed.

That’s the reason I walked away.

An absolutely accurate assessment. The P2X is the bane of every SOs' existence, and until that changes, people who join do so at their peril. The greater problem these days is that CX has broken their own progression system. There is no real "line" anymore, with no limits on how long you can be stuck in the role.

A few years ago, before CX tore up everyones' contract, joining as an SO made sense. You would get in line and wait your turn for an upgrade based on seniority. There were annual pay increments up to the forth year, and every time the company hired a direct entry FO ahead of you, you would receive bypass pay, which grants you an FO salary while you awaited your turn. Additionally, the HKCAD also provided a guideline that it is expected that you do not hold a P2X for five years.

​​​​Now, there is no line. Upgrades are based on what fleet you get, and you don't really have a choice on where you end up. People with more experience may jump ahead of you. There is no longer bypass pay, and the company even laughs at the suggestion. DEFOs are hired at an unprecedented rate. The HKCAD also removed the five year guideline. There are only two pay grades now for SO, with the highest one lower than the first tier of what it was before. So, you could be stuck in the role for a very long time, not build any transferrable hours, deal with a perpetual pay ceiling, and the added stress of aging while watching possibly younger guys who were hired after you fly the airplane. Oh, and did you know that CX is also one of the pioneering airlines flirting with the idea of single pilot operations during cruise on the airbus?

Not trying to deter anyone, but you best consider whether the stuff happening in the latter paragraph is in anyway acceptable for you on your career path. Good luck.

ChrissyPrezzie
1st Feb 2023, 06:41
https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jobs/cadet-pilot-program-916138

RequirementsApply now if you are/have:

The right to live and work in Hong Kong or the Chinese mainland​
Graduated from secondary school with good passes in English language and Mathematics or Science. An aviation degree will be an advantage.
Physically fit and qualified for a Civil Aviation Department (HKCAD) Class 1 Medical Certificate
Able to meet our flight deck reach requirements. Candidates may be asked to complete a static reach test and flight simulator reach assessment
Achieve ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) English Language Proficiency level 4 or above
Aged 18 years or above
COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate

Hong Kong Permanent Resident will be given priority consideration

You will receive more information about joining Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong as a Second Officer upon successful completion of the Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme.

It's happening...

whitsunday
1st Feb 2023, 10:33
https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jobs/cadet-pilot-program-916138

It's happening...

Not surprised. CX is turning to a Chinese Airlines sure they would love to screw our Mainland counterparts. And the good thing is, people from the North are actually willing to be screwed. How funny is that.

ay380
4th Feb 2023, 05:19
Has anyone with prior flight experience and/or a PPL done the final interviews recently? Can you please share the questions that you were asked? Any other info would be appreciated!
Thanks!

deepenbhai
4th Feb 2023, 23:58

Cheers !

Hi Astrid, how long did it take you to hear back re your application? Did you have to go back to hk for your Computer based assessments?

PHAK_152
6th Feb 2023, 00:33
Looking for people to practice mock-in/interview questions with.

trigonometry
9th Feb 2023, 09:11
An absolutely accurate assessment. The P2X is the bane of every SOs' existence, and until that changes, people who join do so at their peril. The greater problem these days is that CX has broken their own progression system. There is no real "line" anymore, with no limits on how long you can be stuck in the role.

A few years ago, before CX tore up everyones' contract, joining as an SO made sense. You would get in line and wait your turn for an upgrade based on seniority. There were annual pay increments up to the forth year, and every time the company hired a direct entry FO ahead of you, you would receive bypass pay, which grants you an FO salary while you awaited your turn. Additionally, the HKCAD also provided a guideline that it is expected that you do not hold a P2X for five years.

​​​​Now, there is no line. Upgrades are based on what fleet you get, and you don't really have a choice on where you end up. People with more experience may jump ahead of you. There is no longer bypass pay, and the company even laughs at the suggestion. DEFOs are hired at an unprecedented rate. The HKCAD also removed the five year guideline. There are only two pay grades now for SO, with the highest one lower than the first tier of what it was before. So, you could be stuck in the role for a very long time, not build any transferrable hours, deal with a perpetual pay ceiling, and the added stress of aging while watching possibly younger guys who were hired after you fly the airplane. Oh, and did you know that CX is also one of the pioneering airlines flirting with the idea of single pilot operations during cruise on the airbus?

Not trying to deter anyone, but you best consider whether the stuff happening in the latter paragraph is in anyway acceptable for you on your career path. Good luck.

Bang on!

deepenbhai
16th Feb 2023, 15:35
Hi guys i have my hr and tech interview soon

is anyone keen to share their experience re both? It would be much appreciated. Pls pm me

KinGsDowN
20th Feb 2023, 12:14
Hi guys

i am seeking your advice for the selection process
my application was submitted on 7/2 and still no news so far

is anyone keen to share their experience re both? It would be much appreciated. Pls pm me

ChrissyPrezzie
21st Feb 2023, 07:38
Hi guys

i am seeking your advice for the selection process
my application was submitted on 7/2 and still no news so far

Are you that lazy? Or you are actually deepenbhai?

deepenbhai
21st Feb 2023, 08:45
Are you that lazy? Or you are actually deepenbhai?

LOL what the heck

Fuyukikun
21st Feb 2023, 12:34
Hi KinGsDowN

Some rumours says if you don’t owns any flying experience, you will be placed in a latter position than applicants who have had.
Applicants who with flying experience usually will be contacted within 1~2 weeks
For whom haven’t, you will expect a much longer radio silence, some says up to 2 months

wish you will get your reply soon, at the same time, keep yourself busy and fit for ICAO English Exam & Aptitude Test
prior preparation prevent poor performance
Good Luck

trigonometry
22nd Feb 2023, 09:24
Hi KinGsDowN

Some rumours says if you don’t owns any flying experience, you will be placed in a latter position than applicants who have had.
Applicants who with flying experience usually will be contacted within 1~2 weeks
For whom haven’t, you will expect a much longer radio silence, some says up to 2 months

wish you will get your reply soon, at the same time, keep yourself busy and fit for ICAO English Exam & Aptitude Test
prior preparation prevent poor performance
Good Luck

That is just not true. I have friends who waited two weeks for the ICAO thing and they don't even have any hours under their belt.
I guess it's all about the stuff that you put in on your application and that includes the cover letter. Remember, you are beating against the Applicant Tracking System (ATS), meaning AI.
If your apps can't pass the robot then there is no way it will get into the human's hands.
Same goes to any other jobs in any other industry.

HermannGuwalgiya
23rd Feb 2023, 04:14
Hi Guys,

Just finished the final interview tech part last Thur.
Received calls from Cathay asking me to submit my medical records based on my medical in confidence from.
Is that a good sign showing I might passed the final interview?

Its been a week and I am quite nervous about it...
How long in average you guys will receive the invitation to medical check?

RidingWings
23rd Feb 2023, 11:34
Hey guys, if application has disappeared from portal, does it mean you're unsuccessful? :(

Fuyukikun
24th Feb 2023, 13:08
Hey guys, if application has disappeared from portal, does it mean you're unsuccessful? :(
yes, usually you can reapply 9 months later

ETA350
24th Feb 2023, 14:44
Hi Guys,

Just finished the final interview tech part last Thur.
Received calls from Cathay asking me to submit my medical records based on my medical in confidence from.
Is that a good sign showing I might passed the final interview?

Its been a week and I am quite nervous about it...
How long in average you guys will receive the invitation to medical check?

It's positive about your final interview. Once you submitted all required documents, they will contact you in 1-2 weeks time and arrange a medical assessment in cxc

Thomasontheground
1st Mar 2023, 07:17
Anyone with flying experience went to the final stage interview recently ?
Did they drill deep into your aviation knowledge?
Please DM me if so.
Thanks in advance

trigonometry
1st Mar 2023, 12:00
What's the secret? Why can't anybody share the info with everyone here? Fear of CCP? Look at Singapore Cadet Thread. They are openly exchanging information/idea with one another. Very interesting to read!!

darrelkwai
3rd Mar 2023, 04:30
What's the secret? Why can't anybody share the info with everyone here? Fear of CCP? Look at Singapore Cadet Thread. They are openly exchanging information/idea with one another. Very interesting to read!!
Im guessing people think of each other as potential competitors, so why would they share information that gives them an advantage.

trigonometry
4th Mar 2023, 10:54
Then they are idiots. They have no idea what's going on with Cathay.

RidingWings
4th Mar 2023, 11:34
I thinks it's more the comments like these and the constant negativity that is putting people off.

deepenbhai
6th Mar 2023, 10:21
For those that were invited to the medical assessment, how long did it take you guys to receive your email invite? My application is still in the portal and it's been a week since my interview

KinGsDowN
6th Mar 2023, 14:23
Hi RidingWings
I am sry to hear that
how long did it take to disappear from your last interview?

HermannGuwalgiya
7th Mar 2023, 09:55
It takes around 2 weeks for me to receive my invitation to medical assessment.

Please make sure your passport(s) are valid. If you are confidence that you are going to pass the interviews, it is a good time for you to get your passport renewal.

If you wear glasses, you will need 2 pairs of glasses with prescription from optometrist.

The gap between the assessment and the final interview is a good time for you to get yourself prepared.

Hope to see you in the cockpit, all the best!

darrelkwai
8th Mar 2023, 11:04
It takes around 2 weeks for me to receive my invitation to medical assessment.

Please make sure your passport(s) are valid. If you are confidence that you are going to pass the interviews, it is a good time for you to get your passport renewal.

If you wear glasses, you will need 2 pairs of glasses with prescription from optometrist.

The gap between the assessment and the final interview is a good time for you to get yourself prepared.

Hope to see you in the cockpit, all the best!
Hey HermannGuwalgiya,
Would you mind sharing your timeline of the entire application to medical process?

whitsunday
8th Mar 2023, 11:55
If you are confidence that you are going to pass the interviews, it is a good time for you to get your passport renewal.

Funny. People who asked that question after a week or two are usually the ones that does not have confidence about the interview.
Otherwise they would have been just patiently waiting and stay away from here, as somebody might say, too much negativity
Think the Gen Z needs to learn to be patient.

HermannGuwalgiya
9th Mar 2023, 03:21
It took me about a year to reach medical process.

The process speeds up really fast after you passed the CUT-E assessments.

I guess they were a bit in a hurry to expand their fleet, so they response faster then what you heard from the internet.

trigonometry
9th Mar 2023, 11:36
Funny. People who asked that question after a week or two are usually the ones that does not have confidence about the interview.
Otherwise they would have been just patiently waiting and stay away from here, as somebody might say, too much negativity
Think the Gen Z needs to learn to be patient.

Cannot image how these guys/gals can pass the 5-7 years itch when they can't even wait for 14 days to get a result..

whitsunday
10th Mar 2023, 04:40
Hence the bond, the 50 per cent discount training fees, and, COS18 of course.

yellokiwi
11th Mar 2023, 23:32
Question. If you already have CPL and apply, do you still complete the 1 year training as if you were training from scratch? Im in my early 30s, got my CPL nearly 2 years ago but didnt go for the instructor route because of financial reasons (needed 30~40k).

Ive missed the chance to apply for the second officer role so was wondering what happens if I apply to the cadet programme. Looks like people with experience have applied in the past but cant seem to find more info on this.

Im am married but no kids though. I could fly as an instructor for 3 years before getting picked up by air new zealand and fly turbo for another 5 before getting jet time. Thinking 5~7years as second officer at CX wont be that bad?

I am a NZ citizen though but i guess i can fall under "right to work" with the right visa?

Angle_of_Attack
12th Mar 2023, 08:28
I would assume that if you apply for the cadet programme, you go through the cadet programme. if you're overqualified for the programme, I would assume they might not accept you, as it's a programme for cadets.

Angle_of_Attack
12th Mar 2023, 08:32
Side note: if you already have a CPL and you apply for a cadetship just so you can get yourself a job at CX as they're no longer hiring DESOs, then you'd be a bit of a prick for taking the opportunity away from someone who actually needed it.

trigonometry
12th Mar 2023, 12:20
Question. If you already have CPL and apply, do you still complete the 1 year training as if you were training from scratch? Im in my early 30s, got my CPL nearly 2 years ago but didnt go for the instructor route because of financial reasons (needed 30~40k).

Ive missed the chance to apply for the second officer role so was wondering what happens if I apply to the cadet programme. Looks like people with experience have applied in the past but cant seem to find more info on this.

Im am married but no kids though. I could fly as an instructor for 3 years before getting picked up by air new zealand and fly turbo for another 5 before getting jet time. Thinking 5~7years as second officer at CX wont be that bad?

I am a NZ citizen though but i guess i can fall under "right to work" with the right visa?

They used to offer a 30 weeks program if you have CPL and all required hours, it's called "Advanced Entry", but I'm not too sure if they are still running it, as you know, things have changed a lot at CX. Right now they seriously need to fill DEFOs, cause that's where the demand is headed, the ones that are on the Ab initio are for the future use. You should write to the recruiting manager and see what she has to say.

Elene Cheng, Talent Acquisition Manager, Operation
[email protected]
https://www.linkedin.com/in/elene-cheng-0408a6a8/

All the best.

Carpets
13th Mar 2023, 00:36
They used to offer a 30 weeks program if you have CPL and all required hours, it's called "Advanced Entry"

Depending on your experience level coming in there were different courses/course length.
The most recent 'advanced entry' course with CX was only around 9 weeks in Adelaide. 4 weeks to do all the HK ATPLs and other relevant exams and then 4-5 weeks for a quick MEIR conversion in a DA42 for HKCAD and then some simulator work to finish off.

bananarepublic
13th Mar 2023, 02:47
In the past they have made people with CPL do the full course cadetship, if you have over 250 hours then you would get the shorter course. Just apply, you have nothing to lose.

lz9497
14th Mar 2023, 06:55
Hi,

Similar situation here, late 20s, had my CPL in 2019 but applied in cadetship, hoping there is advance class to shorten the training but i doubt NZ citizen can apply for cadetship, unless you have HK permanent residency?

Carpets
15th Mar 2023, 00:11
i doubt NZ citizen can apply for cadetship, unless you have HK permanent residency?

This is correct.
If you have over 250 hours an MEIR and passes in all your ATPL exams then you would be able to do the advanced entry course when they start hiring DESOs again.

whitsunday
15th Mar 2023, 03:56
The question is, when???

ChrissyPrezzie
15th Mar 2023, 08:50
When they are done with DEFOs, which takes, I don't know, X amount of years?

https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/cathays-people-problem-is-hong-kongs-too-2023-03-10/

​​​​​​​Captains and First Officers quit the airline in droves after pay cuts and being forced to endure near perpetual quarantine thanks to the city’s now-abandoned draconian quarantine rules for aircrew. The company has close to 2,405 pilots, roughly 63% of pre-pandemic numbers, according to a survey conducted in March by the Hong Kong Aircrew Officers Association and seen by Breakingviews. Investors are not encouraged, and sold shares down 3.6% on Thursday.

futurepilot2001
15th Mar 2023, 14:10
Hello everyone, I tried contacting a few people here but no response. I am soon to do the initial assessments with Cathay and would love to talk to anyone who has been through the process. I literally have no clue on what to expect and I want to even learn more about the training itself. I am confident but I guess having waited for 3 long years for this day, it does feel like a lot is at stake. Literally, anyone with any information, please reach out as any information would still be helpful. I can also be contacted on telegram @hfxyz123

whitsunday
16th Mar 2023, 04:15
394 pages filled with gold and treasure, both past and present, and people still don't read, and they're applying for a flying job. How funny is that.

futurepilot2001
16th Mar 2023, 05:20
394 pages filled with gold and treasure, both past and present, and people still don't read, and they're applying for a flying job. How funny is that.

I agree with your two cents on how "people" don't read and stuff. I didn't go through all the 394 pages either but I did go through the recent pages because I would love to dig in anything "relevant" I can. What you fail to understand is that a lot of the information is also outdated, last year I was not even eligible to apply, there's staff movements that have happened within the TA team at Cathay and policy changes, not to mention, the impact of COVID 19 and so on. I am happy to read through all the 394 pages but half of them are not even relevant in today's day. If you can't be helpful, please don't assume and throw shade. How funny is that.

trigonometry
16th Mar 2023, 08:49
Hello everyone, I tried contacting a few people here but no response. I am soon to do the initial assessments with Cathay and would love to talk to anyone who has been through the process. I literally have no clue on what to expect and I want to even learn more about the training itself. I am confident but I guess having waited for 3 long years for this day, it does feel like a lot is at stake. Literally, anyone with any information, please reach out as any information would still be helpful. I can also be contacted on telegram @hfxyz123

If you just read the last 20 or 30 pages you would know what to expect on your app test and interview.
And if you read the whole thread you would even get a better picture about the history of the program, the ups and downs, the standard, how it is different now than before, what possibly you might get yourself into so on and so forth. Some members might think there's just too much negativity here, I say, it's the reality, and the reality is always cruel in Hong Kong. I guess what whitsunday is trying to say is, do your homework, do your research, and read, because that's what you will be doing a lot in the training, throughout your pilot career - read and research and learn. If you can't commit an hour to read the last 100 pages then chances are, you are not gonna go too far with that kind of attitude, it just doesn't show you are motivated, it doesn't show you are taking this seriously. And if you did read on here, you will notice that there isn't much changes in terms of the selection process, it's still the same ICAO test, the same Aon aptitude test, same interview stages, except a few assessment were removed. You've asked me how I got through the process. That's what I did - read and research.

Good luck with your application process!

futurepilot2001
16th Mar 2023, 09:05
If you just read the last 20 or 30 pages you would know what to expect on your app test and interview.
And if you read the whole thread you would even get a better picture about the history of the program, the ups and downs, the standard, how it is different now than before, what possibly you might get yourself into so on and so forth. Some members might think there's just too much negativity here, I say, it's the reality, and the reality is always cruel in Hong Kong. I guess what whitsunday is trying to say is, do your homework, do your research, and read, because that's what you will be doing a lot in the training, throughout your pilot career - read and research and learn. If you can't commit an hour to read the last 100 pages then chances are, you are not gonna go too far with that kind of attitude, it just doesn't show you are motivated, it doesn't show you are taking this seriously. And if you did read on here, you will notice that there isn't much changes in terms of the selection process, it's still the same ICAO test, the same Aon aptitude test, same interview stages, except a few assessment were removed. You've asked me how I got through the process. That's what I did - read and research.

Good luck with your application process!

Thank you so much, I genuinely value that feedback. I understand that I need to do better on my end but I just felt like I am currently going through a time crunch because of how my current days are scheduled (and with everything I am dealing with), and sure I could have read all of these before but I became eligible recently (and before that I didn't read much since I knew I wasn't eligible and wasn't going to end up here). I decided to apply and I am trying to read as much as possible and since you've been through the process, you would know how fast they are going through the process, which is why I am caught off-guard with the whole schedule. I am also trying to keep up with other cadet programs and yeah I guess it does consume time. I could have been better prepared and would definitely try to do better. However, I definitely didn't appreciate the tone used by whitsunday as they blatantly assumed things and just passed comments.

AltocumulonimbuS
17th Mar 2023, 10:15
Depending on your experience level coming in there were different courses/course length.
The most recent 'advanced entry' course with CX was only around 9 weeks in Adelaide. 4 weeks to do all the HK ATPLs and other relevant exams and then 4-5 weeks for a quick MEIR conversion in a DA42 for HKCAD and then some simulator work to finish off.

Hello! Any idea on when was the last time they offered this “advanced entry” course with CX?

Tomho85
20th Mar 2023, 03:04
Hi everyone here, good morning.
did the medical screen last week but was ordered to do a 6 min running test to determine my pre/post exercise FEV1 as I had asthma during childhood. It's been extremely difficult to get this test done as most clinics either don't provide this type of service or they don't recognize the referral letter issued by CX.
does anyone have any experience dealing with this or know any places where I can get this out of the way? Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

Angle_of_Attack
20th Mar 2023, 03:54

From the CX Cadet Pilot FAQs:I have the right to live and work in Hong Kong but I do not hold a Permanent Hong Kong Identity card. Can I still apply?All candidates for the Cadet Pilot Programme must be a holder of a Permanent Hong Kong Identity card. We accept applications globally for Second Officer and First Officer positions and successful candidates will be sponsored for their Hong Kong employment visa.

Angle_of_Attack
20th Mar 2023, 04:00
Hi everyone here, good morning.
did the medical screen last week but was ordered to do a 6 min running test to determine my pre/post exercise FEV1 as I had asthma during childhood. It's been extremely difficult to get this test done as most clinics either don't provide this type of service or they don't recognize the referral letter issued by CX.
does anyone have any experience dealing with this or know any places where I can get this out of the way? Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)
Have you checked the HKCAD AME list?
This should be my 8th post, so I'll try to see if I can post a direct link in a new post below, but if not, just search "HKCAD AME" in google!

Angle_of_Attack
20th Mar 2023, 04:03
https://www.hkatc.gov.hk/HK_AIP/aic/AIC10-10.pdf

Tomho85
20th Mar 2023, 04:20
Thanks for the help!! Yeah I did but the list uploaded there isn't very updated as a few doctors have retired.
just found out Aventis hospital does that but its also very expensive!!

Carpets
20th Mar 2023, 06:01
Hello! Any idea on when was the last time they offered this “advanced entry” course with CX?

The last time this course was offered was late 2019/early 2020 (pre-COVID).

trigonometry
20th Mar 2023, 11:04
From the CX Cadet Pilot FAQs:I have the right to live and work in Hong Kong but I do not hold a Permanent Hong Kong Identity card. Can I still apply?All candidates for the Cadet Pilot Programme must be a holder of a Permanent Hong Kong Identity card. We accept applications globally for Second Officer and First Officer positions and successful candidates will be sponsored for their Hong Kong employment visa.

Don't trust the FAQ. It's kind outdated. You can still apply even if you are not PR, as long as you have the right to live and work in Hong Kong OR Chinese Mainland. Think People Department really needs to make some updates/changes.

lz9497
20th Mar 2023, 11:08
Anyone in the application process now? Is the pace slowing down? :ugh:

futurepilot2001
21st Mar 2023, 10:24
Don't trust the FAQ. It's kind outdated. You can still apply even if you are not PR, as long as you have the right to live and work in Hong Kong OR Chinese Mainland. Think People Department really needs to make some updates/changes.

I second what trigonometry says as I applied using a visa too. However, I do think when they state "right to live and work", you need to have a visa on your own and not provided by Cathay (this is my understanding), or else, anyone around the world who is eligible for a visa, can join the program which would drastically change things.

trigonometry
22nd Mar 2023, 04:01
Exactly. It's quite easy to solve actually. All they have to do is to make every single piece of information consistent on their website, then you don't have confusion, yet somehow they decided not to do it. Another example is the reapplication policy. FAQ says 9 months, but everyone who failed the aptitude test knows it only takes 6 months, cause that what it says on the rejection email. Confusion.

unbakedmirrors
23rd Mar 2023, 23:21
I would like to ask for your advice if possible. I am in my 30s. Perm. resident. Did not finish secondary school as I needed to work early. I've worked in IT for more than 10 years now and I've always been fascinated with flying and have aspiration to become a commercial pilot someday. Am I too old to join? Do they accept someone who did not finish secondary school but have good results say from GCSE physics/math/english? Do they only accept Cantonese-speaking cadets? You insights would be helpful. Thank you!

winnerhy
24th Mar 2023, 05:28
Did any of you who's taken the computer assessment recently encounter any error during the assessment? I heard that someone encountered error during the working behavior part and needed rescheduling.

futurepilot2001
24th Mar 2023, 05:29
You need to have a secondary school certificate as that's the main requirement. I know people over 30 who have joined too!

futurepilot2001
24th Mar 2023, 05:32
Did any of you who's taken the computer assessment recently encounter any error during the assessment? I heard that someone encountered error during the working behavior part and needed rescheduling.
I had my assessment on Monday and had an error, when doing the complex control test (you can do the 6 tests in any order), but I had the error in the first 15 minutes of the assessment. Did the "someone" take the test on Monday too? I would like to talk to someone via telegram @hfxyz123

unbakedmirrors
24th Mar 2023, 09:49
You need to have a secondary school certificate as that's the main requirement. I know people over 30 who have joined too!

Dang I thought GCSE results were good enough, if it's what they want then I will have to double time. Thank you! :ok:

Hardrod
24th Mar 2023, 13:22
I would like to ask for your advice if possible. I am in my 30s. Perm. resident. Did not finish secondary school as I needed to work early. I've worked in IT for more than 10 years now and I've always been fascinated with flying and have aspiration to become a commercial pilot someday. Am I too old to join? Do they accept someone who did not finish secondary school but have good results say from GCSE physics/math/english? Do they only accept Cantonese-speaking cadets? You insights would be helpful. Thank you!

Love your sense of humor.
Anyone who takes this question seriously should have your brain checked.

ksl.23
26th Mar 2023, 05:34
Hi all,
If someone fails in day 2 final technical interview, and they apply after 6 months, do they need to retake the online aptitude test again or is it straight into the day 1 and day 2 interviews?

trigonometry
26th Mar 2023, 10:28
​​​​ Hi all,
If someone fails in day 2 final technical interview, and they apply after 6 months, do they need to retake the online aptitude test again or is it straight into the day 1 and day 2 interviews? ​​​

Generally they will have to start everything all over again, meaning going from stage one and then work all the up, tho there are some exceptions and it is evaluated on case by case basis. Friend of mine applied the program back in 2018, took the aptitude test at Cathay City, then was told the score wasn’t high enough to meet the standard, he waited for 6 months, reapplied again, the second time he went straight to the HR interview, completely bypass stage 1A. He asked why at the interview, no clear reason was given except he was told, situation has changed. Another example is, someone failed the final interview was not allowed to reapply the program ever again. Not because of his age but because of his performance. That was also before Covid.

ksl.23
26th Mar 2023, 11:13
Generally they will have to start everything all over again, meaning going from stage one and then work all the up, tho there are some exceptions and it is evaluated on case by case basis. Friend of mine applied the program back in 2018, took the aptitude test at Cathay City, then was told the score wasn’t high enough to meet the standard, he waited for 6 months, reapplied again, the second time he went straight to the HR interview, completely bypass stage 1A. He asked why at the interview, no clear reason was given except he was told, situation has changed. Another example is, someone failed the final interview was not allowed to reapply the program ever again. Not because of his age but because of his performance. That was also before Covid.

That’s weird. What about ICAO test? If you’ve got level 5, then you do not have to give the test again for 6 years right?

trigonometry
26th Mar 2023, 12:05
That's correct. As long as your test score is valid throughout the period of your training, you do not need to take the test again.
By the way, if you have been around long enough, you will know nothing is normal at Cathay.

Hardrod
26th Mar 2023, 18:13
An employment contract can be amended any time at company discretion is also NOT NORMAL!

Hbfftbmtt
27th Mar 2023, 04:09
Hey,

Anyone has gone through the Cadet Process. I have been invited to the initial interview. Is that the HR one?

Thanks

Angle_of_Attack
27th Mar 2023, 10:39
Dang I thought GCSE results were good enough, if it's what they want then I will have to double time. Thank you! :ok:

I see you've asked about this several times in this thread already.
If you finished your GCSEs, then you have finished secondary education (high school) and therefore meet the educational requirements to apply.

Thomasontheground
2nd Apr 2023, 15:29
I know they changed the 30 mins MS Team Technical Interview into a 1 hour long Panel Interview at Cathay city, has anyone done the latest Panel Interview and have some insight on it?

Hardrod
3rd Apr 2023, 11:05
Tell the panel how much you love to be an Instagram Influencer then you will get the job. Oh. Of course they would love to hire a Fashion Designer 2.0!

lz9497
9th Apr 2023, 13:51
Hey guys,
Anyone recently reached HR/Tech interviews? Can you please share a timeline and experience?

Khitans
20th Apr 2023, 23:21
Does anyone know what months does the CX Adelaide program start this year/last year?

Thank you

Khitans
21st Apr 2023, 06:30
CPA = integrated at CX city (ground school at CX, then flying in FTA, mainly for CPL holders I think)

Hi there does anyone know in what months will the FTA ground school start this year?
Thank you

jennwitt
26th Apr 2023, 12:23
Someone please give me the detail.
what differences between FO1 and FO2?
Every new entry for DEFO goes to FO1 right?

d_lane92
6th May 2023, 08:12
Hi there does anyone know in what months will the FTA ground school start this year?
Thank you
Originally Posted by 17zhangtr1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply to someone 's post

Regarding to the CPA course ,for both licensed or non - license holder , it's 8 months ground school in Cathay house (Never been in Cathay city) and at least 30 weeks flight training in AeroGuard Arizona US, No more FTA , at least not for now . Flight training for non-license holder may be longer .

FYI, Same as FTA , AeroGuard do provide accommodation but unlike FTA, AeroGuard DO NOT provide meals , cadets DO NOT live on campus and require to share room (2 cadet per room ), 2 to 3 room per unit

jetjockey696
6th May 2023, 16:30
Starting next month...Cathay Pacific to require cadet pilots to work with customers at Hong Kong’s airport

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/3219639/cathay-pacific-require-cadet-pilots-work-customers-hong-kongs-airport-move-attacked-union?module=lead_hero_story&pgtype=homepage

MoreBackpressure
6th May 2023, 16:54
Originally Posted by 17zhangtr1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply to someone 's post

Regarding to the CPA course ,for both licensed or non - license holder , it's 8 months ground school in Cathay house (Never been in Cathay city) and at least 30 weeks flight training in AeroGuard Arizona US, No more FTA , at least not for now . Flight training for non-license holder may be longer .

FYI, Same as FTA , AeroGuard do provide accommodation but unlike FTA, AeroGuard DO NOT provide meals , cadets DO NOT live on campus and require to share room (2 cadet per room ), 2 to 3 room per unit
Thank you so much for the information! Do you know if candids already have FAA's CPLs, are they required to, or even legal to, take the PPL and CPL check rides again in the U.S.?

ppfly787
7th May 2023, 10:24
Hey,

Anyone has gone through the Cadet Process. I have been invited to the initial interview. Is that the HR one?

Thanks
how's your initial interview going?

d_lane92
7th May 2023, 13:11
Thank you so much for the information! Do you know if candids already have FAA's CPLs, are they required to, or even legal to, take the PPL and CPL check rides again in the U.S.?

Probably not PPL but CPL check rides .Just like in FTA, even CASA CPL or MECIR holder cadets need to have CPL check rides over there, however test is not based on CASA standard but HK CAD standard .

ppfly787
11th May 2023, 04:30
Could anyone tell about how many cadet pilots are enrolled in a CPA/CP/CX program recently? maybe 15-20?

Nino24
11th May 2023, 15:19
Hi Guys,

I applied for the CX cadet programme yesterday, do you you guys roughly know how long it takes from initial application submission to receiving the first email for the online amplitude tests.

lz9497
11th May 2023, 19:54
how's your initial interview going?

I did mine few days ago, it was very chill, it's purely HR
I have only one lady with me, whole process with mostly personal questions and little touch about Cathay knowledge(fleet, destination).

They wanna know why you want to fly, why you choose Cathay, do you know what is SO job, will you be able to take few years of wait, how would you feel about the training program in FTA or integrated. How do you like to work in HK, how is your family feeling about it... Then she nicely introduced what is in the next panel interview and following steps, telling me to expect more since I have pilot license already.

I got news about the next interview the second day, it was a pleasant experience.

ppfly787
12th May 2023, 00:43
I did mine few days ago, it was very chill, it's purely HR
I have only one lady with me, whole process with mostly personal questions and little touch about Cathay knowledge(fleet, destination).

They wanna know why you want to fly, why you choose Cathay, do you know what is SO job, will you be able to take few years of wait, how would you feel about the training program in FTA or integrated. How do you like to work in HK, how is your family feeling about it... Then she nicely introduced what is in the next panel interview and following steps, telling me to expect more since I have pilot license already.

I got news about the next interview the second day, it was a pleasant experience.
Thank you for you answers lz. There are several similar questions in my initial interview and I am preparing for the final interview. Feeling so hard to prepare for the technical questions since I have no flight experience.

hnb
12th May 2023, 09:02
hi do you start your final interview ,I will attend initial interview ,can you share some experience to me (questions or subject )?

lz9497
12th May 2023, 19:06
Thank you for you answers lz. There are several similar questions in my initial interview and I am preparing for the final interview. Feeling so hard to prepare for the technical questions since I have no flight experience.

I'm sure the training captain wouldnt expect a lot from you, watch some youtube videos about how planes fly, some aircrafts you really like, whats the specs of the aircrafts, show them you are genuinely interested in flying and aviation rather than take it as any ther jobs...

Hardrod
13th May 2023, 06:35
And don't forget to show them you are absolutely OKAY to be a temporary Customer Service at the Airport, to work at the check in counter, greeting passengers, check in their bags, check their passports, greet and meet passengers at the arrival halls, and maybe, maybe someday to work as Flight Attendant serving peanuts and drinks, and pushing trolleys as well. To the current Head of Flying Training, title means nothing, everything is possible, after pilots are also human, can use them in many different ways. What a mess.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/781x1122/cx_cadet_new_initiative_1_454214dd349cc1ee3de6591dbcd0fb41b1 6d4685.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/926x974/cx_cadet_new_initiative_2_2cfefd3efe2a2d9758194c60061eb1c2fb 251ecd.png

dean30
18th May 2023, 12:09
How long did it take for you to hear back from them since applying? Was just wondering. I also sent in my application and I've got my license already.

mixd208
19th May 2023, 06:48
I have convited a driving offense before (sentenced for Careless Driving), will that affects my application?

Hardrod
19th May 2023, 08:53
I have infected with STDs previously due to many sex partners and sex without protection (careless mistakes), will that affect my candidacy as well?

Rithfung
22nd May 2023, 00:53
That was mean.

But I also agree lmao, the application probably stop right after he/she click yes to convicted before.

YSOSERIOUS
24th May 2023, 13:36
Now I'm just happy that I got a lawyer and got my reckless driving ticket dismissed... did 85 in a 55 trying to pass a old lady in her buick

qwerty2023
24th May 2023, 16:15
Hello everyone!

I'm a bit unfamiliar with HKCAD and CX, so I'm puzzled by the phenomenon of CX's Second Officer (SO) lasting for 6 to 7 years.
This is unusual because, in most countries, the SO phase is just a period for accumulating experience, typically lasting one to two years.

Initially, I thought this might be due to CX's heavy fleet, which could require higher standards for FO promotion. However, in a similar airline like SIA, SOs often get promoted within 1.5 years. So, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Then, what could be the reason? Is it due to CX's unique FO experience requirements or specific licensing experience requirements from HKCAD? Are there any documents or regulations supporting this requirement?

PS: My impression is that CX has a requirement of 2,000 hours of experience for FO promotion. Is this true?

I appreciate anyone who can help clarify my confusion. Thank you for your generosity!

d_lane92
26th May 2023, 03:52
For those who wanna to join Cathay as cadet these day , you got to ensure you have sufficient fund for at least 2 years before you receive your 1st pay check , something like $30,000 HKD .

Cathay used to send cadet to Australia for flight training with accommodation provided and subsidies, however , most of the cadets these day will be doing 9 mths ground school training in Hong Kong with zero income or subsidies, neither accommodation . For cadets from oversea they got to sort out their own place to stay !

Another 7-9 months flight training afterwards in Arizona US sounds slight better than life in Hk as flying school does provide accommodation, but NOT MEAL . Cadets are required to sort all these out on their own cost .
By the tine they finish the flight training and back to HK , employment contract may not be available for a while,

Being a Cathay cadet isn’t a privilege anymore, hopefully their hard work will pay off one day .

YSOSERIOUS
26th May 2023, 08:14
But based on the brochure we received from HR, weekly allowance will be given for both in HK and in AUS/US. Are they just lying? I was expecting something like 500HKD per day allowance (per diem) like we have in Engineering department right now.

ksl.23
26th May 2023, 10:03
Over which countries did cathay pacific flew while flying from HK to New York when Russian airspace was avoided?

d_lane92
27th May 2023, 01:03
But based on the brochure we received from HR, weekly allowance will be given for both in HK and in AUS/US. Are they just lying? I was expecting something like 500HKD per day allowance (per diem) like we have in Engineering department right now.

Bahahaha ...HKD 500 per day ??!! You joking ?! I would love to have a look of that brochure .

My cousin is one of the cadet from oversea, he 's receiving NOTHING in HONG KONG , no subsides , allowance or accommodation been provide . WE the family has to support his life in such expensive city !
He's been told that flying phrase will be in Arizona US , accommodation will be provided with daily allowance is around US 24 per day , that 's not even enough to cover meals ! and they have to share a ROOM with another person . Cathay really brings cost cutting into next level .

d_lane92
27th May 2023, 03:59
Can anyone shed some light on bond arrangements?

All this free training and employment would have to come with chains and a big spikey ball for at least, say 7 years I would imagine :ouch:..?

Nothing is FREE mate . It’s not full sponsorship since Cos 18 , you got to pay back half of training which is around $500,000 hkd in the first three years.
let say if they have new Cos come up , they may change the teams again

Hardrod
27th May 2023, 09:20
That's why smart guys won't fall for it, only the foolish and the lazy ones would keep clinging on the program.
I am so happy that I did not have to pay anything when I joined, and nothing was taken away from me neither.

Angle_of_Attack
27th May 2023, 10:15
Bahahaha ...HKD 500 per day ??!! You joking ?! I would love to have a look of that brochure .

My cousin is one of the cadet from oversea, he 's receiving NOTHING in HONG KONG , no subsides , allowance or accommodation been provide . WE the family has to support his life in such expensive city !
He's been told that flying phrase will be in Arizona US , accommodation will be provided with daily allowance is around US 24 per day , that 's not even enough to cover meals ! and they have to share a ROOM with another person . Cathay really brings cost cutting into next level .

Honestly, where does this sense of entitlement come from? Do you / your cousin actually care about aviation or just want to get a lot of free something for nothing?
In what world do you live in where you can live, eat and get educated for free as someone with zero knowledge or experience? Full sponsorships / scholarships are a rare thing now (not just in aviation) and the fact of the matter is that most people don't even have access to them and must pay out of pocket / take out a massive loan to put themselves through an integrated course or work whilst going modular.
Even students who are self-funded on an integrated course who have accommodation provided also need to pay for their own expenses (food, transport etc) whilst having no income for the duration of studies.
A quick look in the wannabes forum will show you that such students in these courses have also now lost a lot of money because certain ATOs have gone bust in the UK. That's some kids parents mortgage, gone.
The company offers you the opportunity, it's up to you to make it work for you. Not the other way around.

d_lane92
28th May 2023, 00:31
Honestly, where does this sense of entitlement come from? Do you / your cousin actually care about aviation or just want to get a lot of free something for nothing?
In what world do you live in where you can live, eat and get educated for free as someone with zero knowledge or experience? Full sponsorships / scholarships are a rare thing now (not just in aviation) and the fact of the matter is that most people don't even have access to them and must pay out of pocket / take out a massive loan to put themselves through an integrated course or work whilst going modular.
Even students who are self-funded on an integrated course who have accommodation provided also need to pay for their own expenses (food, transport etc) whilst having no income for the duration of studies.
A quick look in the wannabes forum will show you that such students in these courses have also now lost a lot of money because certain ATOs have gone bust in the UK. That's some kids parents mortgage, gone.
The company offers you the opportunity, it's up to you to make it work for you. Not the other way around.

Wasn’t really want to waste my time to reply this kind of non sense but thought I would like to clarify certain things.

“ In what world do you live in where you can live, eat and get educated for free as someone with zero knowledge or experience?” …. My cousin is a license holder with more than CPL . He’s eligible for direct entry SO just Cathay put him into this kind of “ advanced cadet course “ Of course nothing is free and he paid million for his flight training license out from pocket .”

“Full sponsorships / scholarships are a rare thing “ …. Do your research first .Qantas, virgin , SQ , Cebu , starlux etc cadet program are sponsored . If you still want to see that as rare thing .

Even students who are self-funded on an integrated course who have accommodation provided also need to pay for their own expenses (food, transport etc) whilst having no income for the duration of studies.… again do you research or just read what ppl wrote. Cadets train in FTA will be provided accommodation and meals , and they live on campus , technically they don’t actually need too much extra money during their flight training as long as they are happy to just stay on campus and have meals there . However cadets in Arizona will not be provided meals and doesn’t live on campus , which means without other options they got to sort this out on their own cost .

“The company offers you the opportunity, it's up to you to make it work for you. Not the other way around.“ …. with such Asian mindset that’s reason why Cathay could continuously and constantly treats their staff like S . There’s always die hard fans. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I guess you are just one of those kids with zero flight experience/ less knowledge, been spending daddy’s money and with no concerns abt finances .Begging to join Cathay , happy to work for them even without getting pay as the OPPORTUNITY . “ I LOVE CATHAY AND JUST WANT THE HOURSSS” Lmao

The purpose of sharing my cousin’s experience was to remind the rest to be prepared for the training especially financially as it may not be what they expect. I haven’t even mentioned how Cathay HR mislead and provided false information before having him sign the contract and made that point of no return . Anyway wasting too much my precious time on this non sense . haters gonna hate.

leena666
28th May 2023, 00:47
Wasn’t really want to waste my time to reply this kind of non sense but thought I would like to clarify certain things.

“ In what world do you live in where you can live, eat and get educated for free as someone with zero knowledge or experience?” …. My cousin is a license holder with more than CPL . He’s eligible for direct entry SO just Cathay put him into this kind of “ advanced cadet course “ Of course nothing is free and he paid million for his flight training license out from pocket .”

“Full sponsorships / scholarships are a rare thing “ …. Do your research first .Qantas, virgin , SQ , Cebu , starlux etc cadet program are sponsored . If you still want to see that as rare thing .

Even students who are self-funded on an integrated course who have accommodation provided also need to pay for their own expenses (food, transport etc) whilst having no income for the duration of studies.… again do you research or just read what ppl wrote. Cadets train in FTA will be provided accommodation and meals , and they live on campus , technically they don’t actually need too much extra money during their flight training as long as they are happy to just stay on campus and have meals there . However cadets in Arizona will not be provided meals and doesn’t live on campus , which means without other options they got to sort this out on their own cost .

“The company offers you the opportunity, it's up to you to make it work for you. Not the other way around.“ …. with such Asian mindset that’s reason why Cathay could continuously and constantly treats their staff like S . There’s always die hard fans. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I guess you are just one of those kids with zero flight experience/ less knowledge, been spending daddy’s money and with no concerns abt finances .Begging to join Cathay , happy to work for them even without pay as the OPPORTUNITY . “ I LOVE CATHAY AND JUST WANT THE HOURSSS” Lmao

The purpose of sharing my cousin’s experience was to remind the rest to be prepared for the training especially financially as it may not be what they expect. I haven’t even mentioned how Cathay HR mislead and provided false information before having him sign the contract and made that point of no return . Anyway wasting too much my precious time on this non sense . haters gonna hate.

Can’t agree more. Exactly what happened with my friend lately and yes their HR and management are very disorganised .

whitsunday
28th May 2023, 16:55
Some people wanting to be stupid and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it...

qwerty2023
29th May 2023, 11:16
Hello everyone!

I'm a bit unfamiliar with HKCAD and CX, so I'm puzzled by the phenomenon of CX's Second Officer (SO) lasting for 6 to 7 years.
This is unusual because, in most countries, the SO phase is just a period for accumulating experience, typically lasting one to two years.

Initially, I thought this might be due to CX's heavy fleet, which could require higher standards for FO promotion. However, in a similar airline like SIA, SOs often get promoted within 1.5 years. So, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Then, what could be the reason? Is it due to CX's unique FO experience requirements or specific licensing experience requirements from HKCAD? Are there any documents or regulations supporting this requirement?

PS: My impression is that CX has a requirement of 2,000 hours of experience for FO promotion. Is this true?

I appreciate anyone who can help clarify my confusion. Thank you for your generosity! Can anyone help me with this question?
What are the requirements for promoting from SO to FO?
Is 6+ years a special case of CX or HKCAD?
Thanks a lot!

Hardrod
30th May 2023, 02:04
Can anyone help me with this question?
What are the requirements for promoting from SO to FO?
Is 6+ years a special case of CX or HKCAD?
Thanks a lot!

The easiest answer is,
A) Not enough of trainers.
B) Too many SOs at the moment. Shortage of Captains.
C) Many SOs are still waiting for a start date.
C) From the management point of view, why should we promote them when we can pay them SO salary to do FO job?

YSOSERIOUS
30th May 2023, 07:29

Are you talking about 2023?

And 500 per day is per diem for CX engineering staff who's taking courses in HK. It's not from the cadet programme brochure.

I'd rather stay in Shenzhen and travel daily if there's no allowance or housing provided.

Angle_of_Attack
30th May 2023, 12:48

I guess you are just one of those kids with zero flight experience/ less knowledge, been spending daddy’s money and with no concerns abt finances .Begging to join Cathay , happy to work for them even without getting pay as the OPPORTUNITY . “ I LOVE CATHAY AND JUST WANT THE HOURSSS” Lmao

Apologies for the late reply, I don't obsessively check this forum as many of you Negative Nancy's seem to.

If he was eligible for DESO, he would've entered as DESO, if DESO was an option. Otherwise mentioning he's eligible for something that isn't offered is kind of pointless.
Also, why still accept a cadetship in that case? Especially with such a "poor" airline, when, as you say, there are SO MANY other options available out there. I think we both know the answer to this.

And thank you for proving my point. You listed 5 airlines that offer supposed "full sponsorships" whilst conveniently ignoring / avoiding my point about them not being ACCESSIBLE to most people.
They all come with some with conditions or limitations (be it nationality requirements, quota, fund limits, etc. )
Five (six, including CX) out of 100s of airlines in the world is precisely my definition of rare.
You should do your own research to see which one of the airlines you listed are still actually offering cadetships, although I don't see the point (again) in mentioning cadetships that most people can't apply for, unless you happen to hold multiple citizenships / nationalities. Which makes the opportunities available to any given individual - you guessed it - RARE.

I'd like to believe that your intention was genuinely and simply to caution people thinking of applying for the CX cadetship to be financially prepared, but the tone of your message begs to differ.

BTW, all your assumptions about me are completely incorrect. But then again, rational thinking doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

leena666
31st May 2023, 07:16
Are you talking about 2023?

And 500 per day is per diem for CX engineering staff who's taking courses in HK. It's not from the cadet programme brochure.

I'd rather stay in Shenzhen and travel daily if there's no allowance or housing provided.

i m sure he/ she is talking about 2023 ! haha

As my friend is currently in the cadet program as well , he told me there’s no allowance and accommodation provided from Cathay during the training in Hong Kong .

Hardrod
31st May 2023, 10:16
Signed a contract with Polytechnic while still paying you allowance when you can live at home and make your own lunch box? That does not sound the modern Cathay Pacific I know of. People really need to wake up and understand how CX management works these days. Wouldn't be surprised if they take away your allowance for six years rather than just three.

dot0086
31st May 2023, 23:03
my god lol some people really be complaining about a $30k hkd paycheck with 250hrs... then they realize pilots in canada get paid $45k cad (260k hkd) a year with 1500hrs
typical path to airline in canada:
- ppl (out of pocket)
- cpl (out of pocket)
- multi/ifr (out of pocket)
- cfi and instructor job paying about $30k/year cad, so you probably need to work a second job
- 1500hrs and take atpl
- entry level FO at a regional paying $45k/year cad

but OMG CATHAY CADET SO **** FOR LAZY AND FOOLISH PEOPLE

CXKR2022
1st Jun 2023, 10:04
Is the cadet program opened for foreign nationalities? I read more than 10 pages recent posts here and it seems like many of AUS and also other foreigners are undergoing this program currently.

Sleepsleep
2nd Jun 2023, 01:38
CXKR2022

The page still states that Hong Kong PR is a requirement so I doubt that it's opened for non-Hongkongers.

whitsunday
2nd Jun 2023, 04:11
CXKR2022

The page still states that Hong Kong PR is a requirement so I doubt that it's opened for non-Hongkongers.

You forget about our Mainland counterparts..
Gotta be more precise otherwise people in the North think they are still being excluded from this big party

Kawa07
5th Jun 2023, 04:59
Hello Everyone,
I am currently in a process of making a decision and I find this forum being very informative.
As per previous replies and discussions, i got the impression that CX will NOT pay any salary or allowances during the CADET Program which is about 55 weeks.
Is it correct ? all cadets are being expected to fund themselves and without being paid during the program period ?

I am a local PR, so in case that there is NO salary and NO allowances during the 55 weeks cadet training, I will have to consider my financial position prior to making any decisions.

Appreciate your feedback.

trigonometry
5th Jun 2023, 12:32
Hello Everyone,
I am currently in a process of making a decision and I find this forum being very informative.
As per previous replies and discussions, i got the impression that CX will NOT pay any salary or allowances during the CADET Program which is about 55 weeks.
Is it correct ? all cadets are being expected to fund themselves and without being paid during the program period ?

I am a local PR, so in case that there is NO salary and NO allowances during the 55 weeks cadet training, I will have to consider my financial position prior to making any decisions.

Appreciate your feedback.

Kawa07,

Cadets don't make a full salary regardless whether you are on the legacy program or integrated program. This has been their general practice since many years ago.
That said, you do get some allowance while you are in overseas, but I can promise you, it won't be a lot, (Think of it as pocket money to pay for food and transportation)
If you are single, have no family, no kids, not a milk ticket of the family, no mortgages, no debt in the bank, no student loan to pay, have savings in your bank account, then you should be OK.
But if you are not, then you really have to think twice or thrice before you sign on the dots.

Good luck

Kawa07
5th Jun 2023, 14:06
Kawa07,

Cadets don't make a full salary regardless whether you are on the legacy program or integrated program. This has been their general practice since many years ago.
That said, you do get some allowance while you are in overseas, but I can promise you, it won't be a lot, (Think of it as pocket money to pay for food and transportation)
If you are single, have no family, no kids, not a milk ticket of the family, no mortgages, no debt in the bank, no student loan to pay, have savings in your bank account, then you should be OK.
But if you are not, then you really have to think twice or thrice before you sign on the dots.

Good luck

Thanks for the clarity. In this case, the options are very limited if you are at least married and have some responsibilities such as what you've mentioned on your earlier reply.
I assume that the vast majority in HK wont be able to survive the program financially unless they have enough savings and a "free" place to live.

dot0086
6th Jun 2023, 22:52
Is the cadet program opened for foreign nationalities? I read more than 10 pages recent posts here and it seems like many of AUS and also other foreigners are undergoing this program currently.

Open to foreigners with a HKPR identity or right to work/live in HK. Most of these foreign applicants probably have HK background.

Hardrod
7th Jun 2023, 13:25
Cathay Pacific-trained pilots are frustrated about their career paths and pay, with some claims that turbulence is being caused by fast promotions for newly hired foreign pilots…

One complaint is that second officers on the Airbus fleet could be upgraded to first officers within months, while those on Boeing 777 aircraft must wait for more than seven years to be upgraded.

Some first officers with experience outside Cathay were upgraded before pilots who have served the airline for more than 10 years, it is also claimed

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news/section/11/253024/Local-pilots-'stuck-on-the-tarmac'

Reality hit. Ouch!!

flying17
8th Jun 2023, 19:01
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone have the email of the the Cathay Pacific Group Talent Acquisition Team aka HR department. I wasn't able to find their email or any way to reach them after submitting the application.

I had everything scanned and in proper format, however they sent an email back saying I am missing my transcript, which I have double confirm it is there. I would like to reach out to them but I wasn't able to find their email anywhere. Plus, I haven't hear back from them ever since. So any insight will be appreciated

YSOSERIOUS
9th Jun 2023, 00:25
Anyone is familiar with the ICAO English test? Is the format talked about in this link still valid? Thanks bois.

aviationenglishasia.wordpress*dot*com/2012/08/31/how-to-prepare-for-the-new-cx-icao-english-test/

hp123
9th Jun 2023, 07:34
Has anyone applied recently for the cadet program and heard back anything?

YSOSERIOUS
9th Jun 2023, 07:39
Has anyone applied recently for the cadet program and heard back anything?

Applied in March, medical and ICAO test on next Wed.

Got a few friends applied over the last 2-3 weeks, all heard back from HR within a week.

YSOSERIOUS
9th Jun 2023, 07:48
It took them almost a month to get back to me. But lately they've been pretty quick.

hp123
9th Jun 2023, 07:49
Did you apply with a CPL etc? or with no prior flying experience?

YSOSERIOUS
9th Jun 2023, 07:50
Got 5 hrs of flight exp but no cert.

whitsunday
10th Jun 2023, 13:05
Cathay Pacific-trained pilots are frustrated about their career paths and pay, with some claims that turbulence is being caused by fast promotions for newly hired foreign pilots…

One complaint is that second officers on the Airbus fleet could be upgraded to first officers within months, while those on Boeing 777 aircraft must wait for more than seven years to be upgraded.

Some first officers with experience outside Cathay were upgraded before pilots who have served the airline for more than 10 years, it is also claimed
https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...-on-the-tarmac (https://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news/section/11/253024/Local-pilots-'stuck-on-the-tarmac)'

Reality hit. Ouch!!

Seven years. Don't even know what HK will be like in seven years. Poor 777 guys. Keep on waiting.

trigonometry
12th Jun 2023, 04:08
That's why I've been saying these to people, never trust what the HR tell you at the interview, particularly with regards to upgrade time, they might say 3 years, but the reality is it could be over 7 years, depending on which fleet you are on obviously, and they won't bother to tell you. It is one of the tricks they use to lure you in, especially for the new TA team where most of them have a strong recruitment agency background. That's why things have moved so quick comparing to the previous TA team.

Sleepsleep
13th Jun 2023, 06:10
Can anyone put more information about upgrade times SO -> JFO of different fleets for curious wannabe's such as myself? (NOT across the board / whole company.)

As discussed above, SO -> JFO upgrade time is ~7 years for B777 but a few months for Airbuses. But what about the B747 fleet? Furthermore, how has upgrade time generally fluctuated over the past years? (FYI I found a thread discussing this back in 2018, stating that time required for this upgrade is approx. 6 years on average for the whole company.)

Making a public reply rather than DMing so that other curious people don't have to ask the exact same question.

Hardrod
13th Jun 2023, 07:38
Making a public reply rather than DMing so that other curious people don't have to ask the exact same question.

Haha. I need a good laugh on this. A lot of questions have been asked publicly and they have been answered publicly yet people still keep asking those same questions. The reason is simple, they don’t read. Period.

dot0086
16th Jun 2023, 00:00
Anyone is familiar with the ICAO English test? Is the format talked about in this link still valid? Thanks bois.

aviationenglishasia.wordpress*dot*com/2012/08/31/how-to-prepare-for-the-new-cx-icao-english-test/

This is the exact test they use iaeltd*dot*org/clear

YSOSERIOUS
16th Jun 2023, 00:04
This is the exact test they use iaeltd*dot*org/clear

Thanks! Just done it on Wednesday, much easier than I anticipated.

ChatGPTX
16th Jun 2023, 05:03
Newbie here. Need some advice.
I left college 2 years ago, currently working in the financial sector, making 60k a month. Decent lifestyle, managed to have my own place to live.
Have a PPL in my belt and currently working towards to get my CPL. (All thanks to my early investment in trading while I was in college)
With my background, I have recently been contacted by a CX Recruiter and they offer me the cadet opportunity.
But then at the same time, I don't want to settle down in Hong Kong for good, because, let's face it, HK is not the same anymore, and it is headed in one way.
I am wondering, how would you guys choose between the Cadet Opportunity VS a Second Passport?

bananarepublic
16th Jun 2023, 08:43
Newbie here. Need some advice.
I left college 2 years ago, currently working in the financial sector, making 60k a month. Decent lifestyle, managed to have my own place to live.
Have a PPL in my belt and currently working towards to get my CPL. (All thanks to my early investment in trading while I was in college)
With my background, I have recently been contacted by a CX Recruiter and they offer me the cadet opportunity.
But then at the same time, I don't want to settle down in Hong Kong for good, because, let's face it, HK is not the same anymore, and it is headed in one way.
I am wondering, how would you guys choose between the Cadet Opportunity VS a Second Passport?

Depends if you're in it for the money or because you want to be a pilot.

It will take you 5-7 years to earn over 60k/month if you join as a cadet. If you factor compound as well as further career promotion and pay rise with your current career then the pay gap will be massive.

5.56NATO
16th Jun 2023, 11:07
Depends if you're in it for the money or because you want to be a pilot.

It will take you 5-7 years to earn over 60k/month if you join as a cadet. If you factor compound as well as further career promotion and pay rise with your current career then the pay gap will be massive.

I am in similar situation except I am much older (38) and with a slightly higher monthly salary, and a mortgage, and a wife.
Been reading every thread on this forum trying to look for something positive, obviously in vain. It's depressing to see that how a once internationally renowned airlines that represents my home town has reduced to something like a LCC and staff are generally disgruntled and depressed. I understand the negativity and hostility and I truly wish thatbtjings will improve for every CX/KA/UO pilots, as well as cabin crew and ground staff.
Flying is my dream but sadly I have not been able to afford the cost and the time to get my own licenses, so cadet is really my way out...Taking the time off for a PPL and working all the way up along the DESO path is a practical impossibility. When HR called I was happy for a short moment and I thought that it could work by selling my home and using my saving to grind through the 55ish weeks of training in FTA, I was being totally naive, because things are just getting worse. The new training package is absolutely difficult even for someone with zero financial burden. I did the simple math and came to the conclusion that if I ever made it to FO, I will be in my mid 40s, without a property and probably a few hundred bucks left in my saving account, as well as an angry wife. It appears to me that the cadet programme is for young lads who are well off and do not have much responsibilities. I feel sorry for myself for not having done better when I first applied years ago - when cx was at a better position. Meanwhile, I also feel extremely sorry for my friends in aviation because most of them are a thousand times smarter than I am, and they have been very supportive and helpful throughout my application process. But yet a majority of them are suffering from the aftermath of the pandemic and consequences of mismanagement.

A word of advice to the inspiring ones, althought I am not a pilot, go for it if you are young or if you don't have a family to support or a mortgage to pay off. Don't hold back in chasing after your dream. Otherwise, for those who are in similar position as I am, just accept the fact that your ship has sailed, because it wouldn't work for you unless you have a few millions dollars in your saving account at your disposal.

Hardrod
16th Jun 2023, 12:05
I am in similar situation except I am much older (38) and with a slightly higher monthly salary, and a mortgage, and a wife.
Been reading every thread on this forum trying to look for something positive, obviously in vain. It's depressing to see that how a once internationally renowned airlines that represents my home town has reduced to something like a LCC and staff are generally disgruntled and depressed. I understand the negativity and hostility and I truly wish thatbtjings will improve for every CX/KA/UO pilots, as well as cabin crew and ground staff.
Flying is my dream but sadly I have not been able to afford the cost and the time to get my own licenses, so cadet is really my way out...Taking the time off for a PPL and working all the way up along the DESO path is a practical impossibility. When HR called I was happy for a short moment and I thought that it could work by selling my home and using my saving to grind through the 55ish weeks of training in FTA, I was being totally naive, because things are just getting worse. The new training package is absolutely difficult even for someone with zero financial burden. I did the simple math and came to the conclusion that if I ever made it to FO, I will be in my mid 40s, without a property and probably a few hundred bucks left in my saving account, as well as an angry wife. It appears to me that the cadet programme is for young lads who are well off and do not have much responsibilities. I feel sorry for myself for not having done better when I first applied years ago - when cx was at a better position. Meanwhile, I also feel extremely sorry for my friends in aviation because most of them are a thousand times smarter than I am, and they have been very supportive and helpful throughout my application process. But yet a majority of them are suffering from the aftermath of the pandemic and consequences of mismanagement.

A word of advice to the inspiring ones, althought I am not a pilot, go for it if you are young or if you don't have a family to support or a mortgage to pay off. Don't hold back in chasing after your dream. Otherwise, for those who are in similar position as I am, just accept the fact that your ship has sailed, because it wouldn't work for you unless you have a few millions dollars in your saving account at your disposal.

Agree on the target age group, but the problem is, the younger ones are taking advantage of the UK and Canada immigration policy to flee from CCP. And this is once in a lifetime opportunity, noone knows when this door will be closed. But for CX, the door is always opened, you miss this time, you can come back later and they are still welcome you with open arms. The question is, how badly you want a second passport..Wow. That is a struggle.

5.56NATO
16th Jun 2023, 12:18
Agree on the target age group, but the problem is, the younger ones are taking advantage of the UK and Canada immigration policy to flee from CCP. And this is once in a lifetime opportunity, noone knows when this door will be closed. But for CX, the door is always opened, you miss this time, you can come back later and they are still welcome you with open arms. The question is, how badly you want a second passport..Wow. That is a struggle.

Mate I have a British passport so working elsewhere is not an issue to me. But dealing with the abrupt financial challenges is hard for people with commitments. Not trying to make excuses but there are times at life where you make good decisions and when the ship has sailed all one could do is to suck up the consequences and try not to be overly miserable about it.

ChatGPTX
17th Jun 2023, 07:47
bananarepublic:
Money is one thing, getting a second citizenship is another.
Growing up in Hong Kong I have seen the ugly and glamours side of this city from the inside out. I can say without any uncertainty that I do not want to die in this place. Now there is a chance to become a citizen of another country and the door is not opened forever, I worry that if I wait for too long, the ship will sail. Canada has set a deadline which is 2026, UK is now thinking to extend the wait period from 5 to 8 years. The clock is ticking..On top of that, there is a cadet opportunity, which is the fastest and easiest way to get into an airliner..so hard to choose .That's why I wanted to know how you guys think particularly for the locals.

Hardrod:
My thought is exactly the same. A few of my colleagues make more than me and they have tendered their notice in exchange for a second passport. So hard to choose.

trigonometry
17th Jun 2023, 14:55
bananarepublic:
Growing up in Hong Kong I have seen the ugly and glamours side of this city from the inside out. I can say without any uncertainty that I do not want to die in this place. Now there is a chance to become a citizen of another country and the door is not opened forever, I worry that if I wait for too long, the ship will sail. Canada has set a deadline which is 2026, UK is now thinking to extend the wait period from 5 to 8 years. The clock is ticking..On top of that, there is a cadet opportunity, which is the fastest and easiest way to get into an airliner..so hard to choose .That's why I wanted to know how you guys think particularly for the locals.

Hardrod:
My thought is exactly the same. A few of my colleagues make more than me and they have tendered their notice in exchange for a second passport. So hard to choose.

It might not be an easy choice to make, but it's actually not, it's quite an easy one actually, simply because, you are young, you have the time to kill, plus, you already have a PPL under your belt, and you are working towards to get your CPL, regardless if you get the cadet opportunity or not, that actually put you in a much much better position as opposed to someone who are in their early 30s or mid 30s who doesn't have any experience at all. It might be too late for them to do both. Take the citizenship route. Fold your life in HK for now and start a new life somewhere else. Once you have secured a second passport, then come back, Cathay will be more than happy to offer you the same opportunity as the one they offered you before, or else, they might take you on the DESO position, assuming if you continue to build hours and get the experiences while living in overseas. You are a smart cookie, if you managed to land in a job that gets you 60k a month now, you will do fine somewhere else. PM me if you need connection. I can help. Cheers.

FYI: Why HK is facing talent shortage? Because the ones that have left, they know they might not have the same opportunity again. Read on the news. https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hong-kong-economy/article/3223141/2-3-hong-kong-companies-struggling-talent-shortage-chamber-survey-finds

YSOSERIOUS
18th Jun 2023, 14:05
Feels like HK is a sinking ship... can't imagine how things will be by 2047

cdwkiwi2012
19th Jun 2023, 09:08
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Does anyone know what the 30min online initial interview (between the aptitude test and the final interview) is about?
Thanks for sharing.

lz9497
19th Jun 2023, 16:41
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Does anyone know what the 30min online initial interview (between the aptitude test and the final interview) is about?
Thanks for sharing.

Hi, I did it a month ago, it's only one HR lady attending. Asking mainly about your background, why do you want to join Cathay, history of Cathay, your current job, how long is your notice period, etc. Nothing technical, just about you.

ChatGPTX
19th Jun 2023, 17:36
It might not be an easy choice to make, but it's actually not, it's quite an easy one actually, simply because, you are young, you have the time to kill, plus, you already have a PPL under your belt, and you are working towards to get your CPL, regardless if you get the cadet opportunity or not, that actually put you in a much much better position as opposed to someone who are in their early 30s or mid 30s who doesn't have any experience at all. It might be too late for them to do both. Take the citizenship route. Fold your life in HK for now and start a new life somewhere else. Once you have secured a second passport, then come back, Cathay will be more than happy to offer you the same opportunity as the one they offered you before, or else, they might take you on the DESO position, assuming if you continue to build hours and get the experiences while living in overseas. You are a smart cookie, if you managed to land in a job that gets you 60k a month now, you will do fine somewhere else. PM me if you need connection. I can help. Cheers.

Funny enough I have spoken with a handful of captains these days and they all told the same thing which is exactly what you have said in your reply, so I think being in my early 20s does put me in a better position in that respect. Thank you so much for the advice Trigonometry. Much appreciated!

dot0086
20th Jun 2023, 19:58
bananarepublic:

Hardrod:

A bit off-topic, but if you ever choose to come Canada, I would stay away from Vancouver. Real estate prices are about the same as Hong Kong, yet the job market is absolutely garbage for how expensive it is here. Much better idea to go Toronto - better job market and I heard it is a better place to do your flying post-PPL if you ever choose to continue your career in aviation.

YSOSERIOUS
22nd Jun 2023, 00:08
Thanks for sharing.

​​​​​​​A question they always ask (asked 5 out of 6 times for me and my friends who did the interview), what would you do if you have some disagreements with your colleagues.

Hardrod
22nd Jun 2023, 06:57
Feels like HK is a sinking ship... can't imagine how things will be by 2047

The housing market would have remained the same or worse, and HK will be the land of PRC for sure..
Isn't' the govt going to bring in 100,000 talents from China this year?! It's only 2023 we are talking about.

YSOSERIOUS
22nd Jun 2023, 13:21
The housing market would have remained the same or worse, and HK will be the land of PRC for sure..
Isn't' the govt going to bring in 100,000 talents from China this year?! It's only 2023 we are talking about.

sorry but I’m afraid that I’ll be one of that 100,000 😂

Weixuan
24th Jun 2023, 16:24
Thanks for sharing.
I am also in the process, can we contact

cdwkiwi2012
25th Jun 2023, 01:49
Hi, I did it a month ago, it's only one HR lady attending. Asking mainly about your background, why do you want to join Cathay, history of Cathay, your current job, how long is your notice period, etc. Nothing technical, just about you.
Thanks lz. Did you make it through to the final interview?
They failed me at the initial interview by asking a bunch of big questions such as qualities of a good pilot, importance of SOP, challenging part of multi-crew operation, etc. The questions were somewhat fair but obviously they were not happy with my answer. To be honest, this is my first interview with an airline and I didn't prepare much for the initial one because I thought this is more of a self-introduction thing whereas such questions are only asked in the final/technical interview.

FYI, I got 250 hrs (NZ CPL, frozen ATPL, ICAO 6) but I've been away from the aviation industry since Covid. Having flight experience/licenses only makes it harder to interview for cadet entry I think.

dean30
25th Jun 2023, 09:41
I am also in the process, can we contact
Same here. My computer assessment is tomorrow.

lz9497
25th Jun 2023, 21:12
Thanks lz. Did you make it through to the final interview?
They failed me at the initial interview by asking a bunch of big questions such as qualities of a good pilot, importance of SOP, challenging part of multi-crew operation, etc. The questions were somewhat fair but obviously they were not happy with my answer. To be honest, this is my first interview with an airline and I didn't prepare much for the initial one because I thought this is more of a self-introduction thing whereas such questions are only asked in the final/technical interview.

FYI, I got 250 hrs (NZ CPL, frozen ATPL, ICAO 6) but I've been away from the aviation industry since Covid. Having flight experience/licenses only makes it harder to interview for cadet entry I think.

Sorry to hear about that, good that you have experience. I have South African CPL with ATPL subjects as well, but failed to find a job after completing my training in 2019. They do expect more when you have experience. It was quite hard for me in technical interview, the pilot did ask me very specific questions regarding my training aircraft and my type rated aircraft, even asking about intercepting radial and entering holding patterns, etc. I did study HARD before the interview but still find it very stressful. Wishing you luck next time!

cdwkiwi2012
26th Jun 2023, 02:28
Sorry to hear about that, good that you have experience. I have South African CPL with ATPL subjects as well, but failed to find a job after completing my training in 2019. They do expect more when you have experience. It was quite hard for me in technical interview, the pilot did ask me very specific questions regarding my training aircraft and my type rated aircraft, even asking about intercepting radial and entering holding patterns, etc. I did study HARD before the interview but still find it very stressful. Wishing you luck next time!
Thanks lz. Same background with me. Yeah, I knew they give people hard times in the technical interview. I just didn't expect any of this in the initial one. And worse, they don't inform you about the timeline or the process beforehand. I had only one day between the aptitude test and the interview. But anyway, guess I will get an instructor's rating and teach for a while before my next attempt with any of these big shots.
Btw, did you pass the final one? Best of luck to you too.

lz9497
26th Jun 2023, 07:20
Thanks lz. Same background with me. Yeah, I knew they give people hard times in the technical interview. I just didn't expect any of this in the initial one. And worse, they don't inform you about the timeline or the process beforehand. I had only one day between the aptitude test and the interview. But anyway, guess I will get an instructor's rating and teach for a while before my next attempt with any of these big shots.
Btw, did you pass the final one? Best of luck to you too.

oh that's not good that they didnt even give you some time to prepare yourself, I've got almost 2 months waiting time in between..... yes I passed the final interview, I have done my medicals as well, just waiting for medical results, Thank you.

5feet7180pbsonthecut
26th Jun 2023, 15:39
Hey guys, I am looking to become a commericial pilot for any Hong Kong airlines (leaning towards Cathey) because of the low tax rate and my local cityzenship. I know Cathey hasn't been doing well since the pandemic, but they offer a cadet programme that is pretty renowned. My question is should I do the general route ( ppl -> cpl -> 250 hrs *second officer/ flight instructor -> 1500 hrs *first officer) or try the Cathey Cadet Programme which is like 1 year? Also, does anyone know how much the Cathey Cadet Programme cost and if there's any drawback to it like forcing you to sign a ridiculous contract upon completion of the programme? Thanks guys

Hardrod
27th Jun 2023, 04:15
Hey guys, I am looking to become a commericial pilot for any Hong Kong airlines (leaning towards Cathey) because of the low tax rate and my local cityzenship. I know Cathey hasn't been doing well since the pandemic, but they offer a cadet programme that is pretty renowned. My question is should I do the general route ( ppl -> cpl -> 250 hrs *second officer/ flight instructor -> 1500 hrs *first officer) or try the Cathey Cadet Programme which is like 1 year? Also, does anyone know how much the Cathey Cadet Programme cost and if there's any drawback to it like forcing you to sign a ridiculous contract upon completion of the programme? Thanks guys

Clearly you don't know how this program works. Why don't you do your research and read the whole damn thing first? It's not that hard is it

whitsunday
27th Jun 2023, 11:55
It's "Cathey" 5feet7180pbsonthecut (https://www.pprune.org/members/533989-5feet7180pbsonthecut) was talking about Hardrod. Not "Cathay" the one we know.

ppfly787
28th Jun 2023, 04:05
Hey guys, how long does it generally take to receive your medical result from HKCAD or CX? Thx

fatginger
28th Jun 2023, 04:25
oh that's not good that they didnt even give you some time to prepare yourself, I've got almost 2 months waiting time in between..... yes I passed the final interview, I have done my medicals as well, just waiting for medical results, Thank you.
hi lz, congrats on passing the final interview. Do you have any idea when will be the next advance cadet course start? I have passed the final interview on March and they offer me to join on April. Since I live overseas and unable to move to HK that fast, so they told me to wait for the next class to open. I saw you recently pass the final, hope you have more update status to share. Thanks

ppfly787
28th Jun 2023, 08:48
hi lz, congrats on passing the final interview. Do you have any idea when will be the next advance cadet course start? I have passed the final interview on March and they offer me to join on April. Since I live overseas and unable to move to HK that fast, so they told me to wait for the next class to open. I saw you recently pass the final, hope you have more update status to share. Thanks
Isn't there a batch of cadet pilots starting their courses every month?

fatginger
28th Jun 2023, 14:26
Isn't there a batch of cadet pilots starting their courses every month?
nope that is different. I have CPL and multi rating. CX is grouping those over qualified to open up a class to fulfill their need. They never advertise they have that class.

lz9497
28th Jun 2023, 21:02
nope that is different. I have CPL and multi rating. CX is grouping those over qualified to open up a class to fulfill their need. They never advertise they have that class.

Hi there, what they wanted me to join is CP119 training in FTA, Induction day 31st July and training starts 7th Aug. But I'm more inclined to joing the following one, it is not confirmed yet

fatginger
28th Jun 2023, 22:20
Hi there, what they wanted me to join is CP119 training in FTA, Induction day 31st July and training starts 7th Aug. But I'm more inclined to joing the following one, it is not confirmed yet
Did they mention CP119 is a advance cadet course or the traditional cadet course with 55weeks?

lz9497
29th Jun 2023, 06:25
Did they mention CP119 is a advance cadet course or the traditional cadet course with 55weeks?

Nope, they never mention anything about advanced class to me.

ksl.23
29th Jun 2023, 10:56
Hi everyone,
Could you please share some of the technical interview questions that are asked recently at panel interview for Cadet Pilot Program? Thanks a lot!

hp123
29th Jun 2023, 23:18
I'm about to do my aptitude test. How many times is an 'acceptable' amount of times you can 'crash' in the missile test (complex control)?

YSOSERIOUS
30th Jun 2023, 00:28
Hi everyone,
Could you please share some of the technical interview questions that are asked recently at panel interview for Cadet Pilot Program? Thanks a lot!

It all depends on who you got for the interview, different capt would ask drastically different questions.

I'm about to do my aptitude test. How many times is an 'acceptable' amount of times you can 'crash' in the missile test (complex control)?

I crashed 4 times, and my friend crashed 5 times, we both passed. So don't worry too much about how many times you can crash, just try your best.

hp123
30th Jun 2023, 02:25
What about how many you could get wrong in the monitoring test? Sorry for bothering you!

YSOSERIOUS
30th Jun 2023, 02:27
What about how many you could get wrong in the monitoring test? Sorry for bothering you!

No worries mate. Me and my friends could only track up to about 10 dots, more than that, then it’s guessing game. But we all passed.

levineIp
30th Jun 2023, 07:29
Hi everyone,

Sorry for my ignorance,

I just conducted my ICAO test few weeks ago and also with medical check, unfortunately I didn’t pass it (with ICAO3 and need to practice more in structure part), do I have any chance to retest again or It would not be allowed to proceed with the program and reapply whole interview again?:ugh:

miguelbernal787
30th Jun 2023, 08:48
How many days after the aptitude test, before you got an email/invite for the Initial HR Interview?

miguelbernal787
30th Jun 2023, 15:09
Got invited to the HR interview - what did you do to prep for it?

what’s your whatsapp? Can I ask you about the process?

ChatGPTX
1st Jul 2023, 12:30
A bit off-topic, but if you ever choose to come Canada, I would stay away from Vancouver. Real estate prices are about the same as Hong Kong, yet the job market is absolutely garbage for how expensive it is here. Much better idea to go Toronto - better job market and I heard it is a better place to do your flying post-PPL if you ever choose to continue your career in aviation.

Yes that's what I heard. Few friends of mine went to Western University to study Aviation. Hongkies. They worked their way up, built hours, never thought about joining the CX program, now they are like flying regional. Better than P2X I guess. That said, my goal is still want to train with L3 Airline Academy. They've got a really good training program, using advanced technologies, and they have a huge Harris group to back them up. I am surprised that CX didn't sign any deal with L3!! Too expensive for them?? Could be. Just hope HK Airlines would resume the program with L3 soon. Anyways.

hp123
2nd Jul 2023, 02:56
Is the PHAK material sent out something that will be required in the initial interview?

ppfly787
2nd Jul 2023, 03:05
Is the PHAK material sent out something that will be required in the initial interview?
That's for the technical interview, but the earlier you read the better you understand.

Hardrod
2nd Jul 2023, 06:50
Yes that's what I heard. Few friends of mine went to Western University to study Aviation. Hongkies. They worked their way up, built hours, never thought about joining the CX program, now they are like flying regional. Better than P2X I guess. That said, my goal is still want to train with L3 Airline Academy. They've got a really good training program, using advanced technologies, and they have a huge Harris group to back them up. I am surprised that CX didn't sign any deal with L3!! Too expensive for them?? Could be. Just hope HK Airlines would resume the program with L3 soon. Anyways.

Well that reminds me of Dragon for sure, coz they used to partner with L3, which formerly known as CTC Aviation, to train cadets. After the break up, that partnership just went south. Not sure what happened in between. But yeah, absolutely agree on the quality of the technologies they use.

hp123
2nd Jul 2023, 12:01

I have my initial coming up this week and was wondering how you prepared for it (what worked best and what to not worry about too much)? I'm currently looking at fleet, history, and routes but I'm not sure how much detail I need to go into.
Any help would be awesome, thanks again.

whitsunday
2nd Jul 2023, 12:43
I have my initial coming up this week and was wondering how you prepared for it (what worked best and what to not worry about too much)? I'm currently looking at fleet, history, and routes but I'm not sure how much detail I need to go into.

If you have taken your chance seriously you would have read the whole thread, and if you DID READ the whole thread you wouldn't keep asking for more again and again. Spoon feeding won't get you too far in your pilot career. I feel so sorry for the contributors who have left the hard earned experiences in the past. You guys just won't learn.

dot0086
4th Jul 2023, 23:40

Typical HR question prep will do you fine. Just think a little harder and prepare about questions related to being a pilot (not really knowledge/technical questions, but behavioral questions).

Ming0316
10th Jul 2023, 13:53
Hi,I am a college student studying in the mainland of China.I'm from Hong Kong.I'm trying to improve my English, but my high school and college grades are not very good, should I participate Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme,or what changes do I need to make?

centurion98
10th Jul 2023, 17:43
Thanks so much for sharing your aptitude test experience. Is the test still gonna be taken online like a video interview as I read from previous reply? Or has it changed in any way? Appreciate it.

Not sure if you took the aptitude test yet, but if you did you probably know what it's like now. But I'll reply just for those who are looking to apply in the near future or are about to take the test. The test is run by Aon, so just search Aon [the test in question] on Google and you should be able to find some sample tests.
Monitoring Ability: it's a test with moving dots and you pretty much have to guess how many there are. This one was virtually impossible when it reaches 8+ balls and you pretty much just have to guess. Tells you if you were right or wrong every question.
Spatial Orientation: plane with a heading and a location beacon and you select where the plane is out of 9 possible spots. No instant feedback.
Complex Control: fly through a tunnel trying to get to the highest "level". You can control the speed, but it will also automatically speed up if you keep going without hitting anything. If you hit something, it will stop you briefly and continue on.
Applied Numeracy: 20 questions of pretty simple math, you have 15 minutes to do them. Calculators are allowed so if you know your formulas it's pretty simple (ie. volume, area, conversions, percentages, etc.) No instant feedback.
Multi-Tasking: 3 tasks: determine if a triangle is point left or right, mental addition/subtraction, duplicates numbers. Pretty easy if you're good at mental math. Instant feedback for wrong answers.
Reaction Speed: 2 shapes, press equal when same shape. Easiest test IMO. Instant feedback.
Work Related Behavior: the most time consuming one. I think there were about 100 questions and took me about 30 minutes to do them.

I don't know how well I did but they sent me a final interview offer within 2 hours of submitting the aptitude test.
Will update on what they ask after my interview!

Also not related, but a lot of salty, angry, and gatekeeping elitists on this forum lol

Hardrod
11th Jul 2023, 06:17
Apparently, People Department worries that our Mainland counterpart might have a bit of trouble in understanding the English language so they decided to add some Chinese translation to the job ad. I need a good a laugh on this...lol https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jobs/cadet-pilot-program-1840932

dot0086
11th Jul 2023, 21:37
Apparently, People Department worries that our Mainland counterpart might have a bit of trouble in understanding the English language so they decided to add some Chinese translation to the job ad. I need a good a laugh on this...lol

https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jobs/cadet-pilot-program-5851728

It's for show anyways... they need to please the mainlanders after what happened a couple months ago lol. I highly doubt anybody who can't read the job posting will get ICAO 4

YSOSERIOUS
14th Jul 2023, 08:32
Apparently, People Department worries that our Mainland counterpart might have a bit of trouble in understanding the English language so they decided to add some Chinese translation to the job ad. I need a good a laugh on this...lol
https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jobs/cadet-pilot-program-3069724

They also changed the ICAO test to be before the interview process. So now you go through the aptitude test, then go straight for the ICAO test.

frank1223
14th Jul 2023, 17:54
Hi, anyone knows about the vaccination certificate mentioned in the initial assessment email? I suppose its covid vaccination?

Hardrod
15th Jul 2023, 04:21
Hi, anyone knows about the vaccination certificate mentioned in the initial assessment email? I suppose its covid vaccination?

No it's HPV vaccination. They want to make sure you don't spread around STDs when you mess around with the guys and gals at the back.

FlyingMoai
15th Jul 2023, 17:38
For those who wanna to join Cathay as cadet these day , you got to ensure you have sufficient fund for at least 2 years before you receive your 1st pay check , something like $30,000 HKD .

Cathay used to send cadet to Australia for flight training with accommodation provided and subsidies, however , most of the cadets these day will be doing 9 mths ground school training in Hong Kong with zero income or subsidies, neither accommodation . For cadets from oversea they got to sort out their own place to stay !

Another 7-9 months flight training afterwards in Arizona US sounds slight better than life in Hk as flying school does provide accommodation, but NOT MEAL . Cadets are required to sort all these out on their own cost .
By the tine they finish the flight training and back to HK , employment contract may not be available for a while,

Being a Cathay cadet isn’t a privilege anymore, hopefully their hard work will pay off one day .
Do you mean the program lasts for 16-18 months? I'm under the impression that the entire training would take about a year.

whitsunday
16th Jul 2023, 11:39
Apparently, People Department worries that our Mainland counterpart might have a bit of trouble in understanding the English language so they decided to add some Chinese translation to the job ad. I need a good a laugh on this...lol https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jobs/cadet-pilot-program-7612213

Never have I seen this **** on their website. This is the first I guess. Sad to see how once a premium airlines with western oriented culture has come down to this. Feels like they had to beg the Mainland Chinese to come rescue them to survive. I would not be surprised if they go super easy on them on the ICAO thing. an ICAO level 3 in Rachel Shieff standard could potentially be a level 5 now. Sad.

BornTwoFly
17th Jul 2023, 04:11
Everybody knows why they post Chinese words on their website. For those who overexaggerate this or even speculate that Mainlanders will be accepted in a lower standard, YOU really need to open your mind. Living in a narrow room is sympathetic but it is not the excuse of your narrow mind.

YSOSERIOUS
18th Jul 2023, 03:06
Everybody knows why they post Chinese words on their website. For those who overexaggerate this or even speculate that Mainlanders will be accepted in a lower standard, YOU really need to open your mind. Living in a narrow room is sympathetic but it is not the excuse of your narrow mind.

Some people just won’t admit that the mainlanders we recruited are based on the same freaking standard. Try speak a second language first before you criticize others. The amount of negativity in this forum is stupid. If you hate PRC and CX so much, why are you still here? Go chase your dream instead of complaining here all day long. I guess you tried and got rejected every single time, so you got no choice but to stay in this “sht hole”.

To those who are considering join CX, rest assured, you’ll have a fair chance, they will not judge you base on your residency, citizenship or the fact that you are not white. Only the a-holes online would do that. Try your best and best of luck for everyone who applies.

CPCadetWannabe
18th Jul 2023, 04:28
When they lower the standard on citizenship, what else would you expect? Are you working at CX HR?

And btw, I think it is also a second language to HKers, so why "Try speak a second language first before you criticize others."?

Angle_of_Attack
18th Jul 2023, 07:01
Some people just won’t admit that the mainlanders we recruited are based on the same freaking standard. Try speak a second language first before you criticize others. The amount of negativity in this forum is stupid. If you hate PRC and CX so much, why are you still here? Go chase your dream instead of complaining here all day long. I guess you tried and got rejected every single time, so you got no choice but to stay in this “sht hole”.

To those who are considering join CX, rest assured, you’ll have a fair chance, they will not judge you base on your residency, citizenship or the fact that you are not white. Only the a-holes online would do that. Try your best and best of luck for everyone who applies.

Very well said!

Angle_of_Attack
18th Jul 2023, 07:03
When they lower the standard on citizenship, what else would you expect? Are you working at CX HR?

And btw, I think it is also a second language to HKers, so why "Try speak a second language first before you criticize others."?

Citizenship does not affect any of the assessments they have to go through in order to be accepted. how do you not understand that?

BornTwoFly
18th Jul 2023, 07:26

That's ridiculous. You are not in a 'higher standard' when you are holding a HKID. Citizenship is no longer a shield for you, that's what your parents gave it to you when you are a fertilized egg. I assume what you are afraid of is being set on the same competitive environment with your mainland counterparts? Okay, that's a big problem for you.

CPCadetWannabe
18th Jul 2023, 08:58
Then please tell me where is the "traditional-Chinese" version of Cadet Pilot Program on their site? if you feel not being entitled, or being looked at with the same standard.

At least I can't / never found one.

whitsunday
18th Jul 2023, 11:21

Few Native English Speakers were rated level 3 and a few Mainland Chinese candidates with IELTS score below 5 were rated ICAO level 5 recently by the current provider which was pre-selected by Cathay. Happy to share proof with you. Just PM me.

Also, did you know that Cathay reconfigured the Cut-e aptitude test from the back-end to make it easier? Few friends of mine work in Aon solution, meaning they have first hand information. Happy to introduce them to you as well.

BornTwoFly
18th Jul 2023, 11:56
ICAO tests speaking only and I don't think company change the rules just for mainlanders. Take the strong demand in people into consideration. Currently both Mainlanders and HKers are treated and tested in the same way, isn't it?

BornTwoFly
18th Jul 2023, 12:02
Then please tell me where is the "traditional-Chinese" version of Cadet Pilot Program on their site? if you feel not being entitled, or being looked at with the same standard.

At least I can't / never found one. Let me tell you the story. The company propagated their CPP in their wechat public account and that's the reason why they add simplified Chinese onto the website. However, all the following procedures are English only.

Hardrod
18th Jul 2023, 12:12
They had to Whitsunday.
Canada once again is paving ways for Hongkies for PR throngs of people I know are plotting to leave. 1 year of work then you get a PR. The best deal ever. Even for the HK Government, there is absolutely nothing they can do about it.

YSOSERIOUS
19th Jul 2023, 07:11
yeah, just move to canada if it's so ****ty here. no need to stay and being paranoid about mainlanders ruining this place. good luck.

If you are talking about lowering the bar in ICAO, for a native speaker to get 3, that means they have no f idea what is aviation all about. It's not the assessor's job to help you prepare.

And for someone to get 5 ICAO with a IELTS lower than 5, just maybe, their listening and speaking are 7, then writing and speaking are 3. Since ICAO is only about speaking and listening, then the score would be higher. And maybe they got that IELTS test years ago.

Me personally got a 5 in ICAO and only 104 in TOEFL 6 years ago. But I got perfect score in TOEFL for listening and speaking, and lower score for reading and writing.

I don't think the bar is lowered in any way to accommadate anyone. Some of my friends who have deep aviation background still got a 3 in ICAO.

And about the "fact" that they changed the cut-e test, isn't that test for every single new joiner? not just for mainland cadidates right? And I believe they didn't add Chinese translation in there right?

You are just refusing to admit that there are talented people from mainland, period.

PS, CPCadetWannabe, what I said about bilingual was not talking about HKers like you, it was just about some trash-talking haters.