PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

chan1008
25th Apr 2012, 02:09
Perhaps I wasn't able to relax during the exam and made several mistakes by mishearing. Overall the test wasn't that hard
Hopefully I will have my re-test soon.

Goodluck

adamctk
25th Apr 2012, 02:15
Stage 1
- JKI Test
- Reasoning Test
- Personality Test
- HR General Interview (No Tech)

Stage 1.5
- ICAO English Assessment

Stage 2
- General & Technical Interview
- Mental Math Test
- Flight Planning
- Group Exercise

Stage 2+
- Medical Exam

- Flight Grading

I can confirm the stages are correct.

See you guys later in FTA.

ckthepilot
25th Apr 2012, 03:44
Stage 1
- JKI Test
- Reasoning Test
- Personality Test
- HR General Interview (No Tech)

Stage 1.5
- ICAO English Assessment

Stage 2
- General & Technical Interview
- Mental Math Test
- Flight Planning
- Group Exercise

Stage 2+
- Medical Exam

- Flight Grading

I can confirm the stages are correct.

See you guys later in FTA.

Wow, so you cleared all 3 stages? :)

lucky86
25th Apr 2012, 11:22
@adamctk

Incorrect, I got tech questions in my first stage interview.

ckalli
25th Apr 2012, 13:49
i had 20min with HR and 40min tech during stage 1

LR_35driver
25th Apr 2012, 15:00

adamctk
25th Apr 2012, 16:58
Background: I am a HK local residence.

CX had tech interview (initial interview) in 2011 but they have changed since 2012 because they want to speed up the interview process, i mean more candidates can go to stage 2. I am not sure what's happen outside HK, SORRY

Without a doubt, many people are stuck in ICAO English (except native speaker) after initial, so not many can go to final eventually.

In this year, CX would like to hire 400 cadet pilots (75-80 local). The HR said CX will still hire more cadet pilot in 2013.

Work hard and good luck, guys.

LR_35driver
25th Apr 2012, 18:27

ckthepilot
26th Apr 2012, 02:14
Without a doubt, many people are stuck in ICAO English (except native speaker) after initial, so not many can go to final eventually.

I would have thought the english test would be the easiest out of all the test conducted by CX but then again, this is coming from a native english speaking person.

Brisbane flyer
26th Apr 2012, 04:49
I have also recieved
"Dear Candidates,

Thank you for your previously submitted on-line application with Cathay Pacific Airways for our Second Officer programmes.

Given this application was submitted some time ago, we ask that if you are still interested in the Second Officer opportunity, to fully complete the attached Flying Experience Requirement form and the Up-date application form........

However I have received no confirmation or email regarding when the next round of selection is in Australia. Has anyone with this email heard anything further???

bobosmirage
26th Apr 2012, 07:36
Dear Colleagues,

I have been invited for the final interview for transition course for SO.

I have some questions to figure out what to do.

I am a former french military fighter pilot with more than 4000 hours on jet.

Does anyone know if the passage to JFO is made according to a seniority list only based on the date at which you join the company or is the past experience taken into account for this promotion?

The other questions are:

Are all the SO based in HK or are there some based elsewhere?

What are the current time needed to be promoted JFO?
What is the bond for a pilot going through transition course?
Do you get a full type rating is you are second officer?
If you are quitting before the end of the bond, how much do you need to reimburse?
Thank you for your quick answer as my interview is pretty soon.
Good flights
Christophe

Brisbane flyer
26th Apr 2012, 08:18
Christophe,

4000 TT? Are you serious? There are plenty of better options out there for you. Cathay will give you low conditions, because you will be treated exactly the same as someone who has 200 TT (Other than the training time is reduced as it is only a conversion course that you will need to complete)

The "Forgivable loan" is just over 1 Million HKD. So if you left before 8 years, you would be liable (Although some would argue the legality of this, and whether Cathay would bother). You do get paid the balance in cash of what they did not need to spend on you for training, however, after the loan is "forgiven" you will need to pay tax on this. (Yes, the full amount)

There are NO second officers able to get basing anywhere other than in Hong Kong. In fact, Cathay are no longer offering new basings to any flight crew (Incl captains).

Current wait time to get a promotion to JFO is 4-5 years. It is based on seniority and therefore you would have to wait the same length of time as a 0 hour cadet.

My suggestion in the strongest possible way is to call them and say thanks but no thanks. You are capable and qualified to get a direct entry job with many other airlines around the world. Don't sell yourself short and accept these conditions.

To end, before anyone else tells me, yes, I am applying to the cadet program myself. As I only have 200 odd hours. It suites me, and works well for me. If you are close to, or qualified for other opportunities, go for them and don't sell yourself short

Pwn
26th Apr 2012, 10:19
May 16 second stage anyone?
Please PM me: [email protected]

VeroFlyer
26th Apr 2012, 10:49
Okay, I have an interview next week. No idea what to expect because this whole thing has been so last minute!

What exactly does the technical quiz involve? Anyone have an example question?

Also the aviation mathematics test, difficult or simple stuff?

Bleurgh! Any feedback would be appreciated. Looking forward to a little trip to Hong Kong!! ;)

whackthemole
26th Apr 2012, 10:54
Does anyone know if the passage to JFO is made according to a seniority list only based on the date at which you join the company or is the past experience taken into account for this promotion?

Date of Joining only. SOs currently doing their JFO upgrades had on average 4000hours in 2007-2008 when they joined, and waited 4+ years just like everyone else.

The other questions are:

Are all the SO based in HK or are there some based elsewhere?

All SOs are based in Hong Kong, and always will be. With C-scale, there is no expected base openings for such pilots - ever.

What are the current time needed to be promoted JFO?

3-5 years. 3 years and 11 months as of April 2012.

What is the bond for a pilot going through transition course?

1.1 million HKD / 105,000 Euro.

Do you get a full type rating is you are second officer?

You do not get a type rating at all. You get a relief-rating, which is not a type rating. The rating in not recognized by any other ICAO nation, and even in Hong Kong only 1/4 of the total flight time can be logged. There are no licensing requirements for takeoff, landing, or engine-failure handling. The only requirement is to, at cruise, a) get the aircraft out of a stall, b)initiate a drift-down in case of engine-failure, and c) initiate an emergency descent in case of decompression. A second officer is not allowed to be in a control seat below 20,000', and is not allowed to touch the aircraft contorls/autpopilot unless seated in the right seat with a qualified captain in the left seat. Even then, the Captain is to immediately assume control if anything out of the ordinary happens.

If you are quitting before the end of the bond, how much do you need to reimburse?

Linear reduction from 1.1million to 0 over 6 years.

You must be mad to even consider this with your experience.

michaelmedley
26th Apr 2012, 16:36
Applied for their CPP 2 months ago and haven't heard anything back as of yet. Ive been told it can take a few months the process the app so im not worried YET! :) Plus i cant update it so just got to keep fingers crossed!

Chap i know out in AUS with them at the moment, he couldnt fault Cathay!

Anybody know how long it is until UK applicants should hear?

Mike

ckthepilot
26th Apr 2012, 21:49
Okay, I have an interview next week. No idea what to expect because this whole thing has been so last minute!

What exactly does the technical quiz involve? Anyone have an example question?

Also the aviation mathematics test, difficult or simple stuff?

Bleurgh! Any feedback would be appreciated. Looking forward to a little trip to Hong Kong!! ;)

When did you get an invitation? How long ago did you submit your online application till you got the invite?

Skyhawks
27th Apr 2012, 06:01
Can ppl provide who had their stage 2 recently tell us about the group exercise and flight planning exercise?

Beba
27th Apr 2012, 06:04
Does anyone know the date of the first ever CX flight (Betsy DC3)?

I've tried searching for it but to no avail and I'm guessing its in "Beyond Lion Rock..."

Thanks in advance:)

captain.weird
27th Apr 2012, 06:47
Does really nobody has an answer on post #4172 (http://www.pprune.org/7150858-post4172.html)

constellaton
27th Apr 2012, 06:57
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone knows what the color vision standards are at cathay. I am red green color deficient but I have a current class 1 medical with CASA in Australia with no restrictions.

Would I still be fit for a class1 HKCAD medical???

whackthemole
27th Apr 2012, 19:01
Just wondering if anyone knows what the color vision standards are at cathay. I am red green color deficient but I have a current class 1 medical with CASA in Australia with no restrictions.

no problem, my friend. as long as you are willing to work for 1/3 of what current cathay pilots make, then you're good to go.

welcome to the team. the dream team.

gasperh90
27th Apr 2012, 19:48
@whackthemole

what did u mean by that? 1/3 of what others make. Is there another option? Not that I want it, I am just curious :)

Rigolo
27th Apr 2012, 20:54
A simple question, will be this a good choice for someone with just 300TT for beggining his career? I didn't apply yet b/c I want to know this 1st. I already rad here that took aroun 3 to 5 years to get a FO upgrade.

Also, how much earn a SO with them and is this a good experience for have in my resume in the future?

Thanks!

Captain Picard
28th Apr 2012, 00:47
Well I just did my medical and ICAO English test yesterday at CX City.
Needless to say it's been a long journey, and I'm glad I'm over the "hump" and starting to see myself actually having the chance to be on course at FTA.

[edited this out for personal reasons]

smurf84
28th Apr 2012, 03:42
White coat syndrome? You never know. It happens with quite a few people.

Rideontime
28th Apr 2012, 03:50
Just wondering what's the icao English retest like? I have passed all interviews and tests and only left with my flight grading. I read some posts before CX will let u redo it or attend some course? Anyone can give me more info about an Icao retest or any idea what will happen to me?

Any help will be greatly appreciate

Cheers

constellaton
28th Apr 2012, 07:27
So does anyone have any info on what test they use for color vision other than ishihara plates ???

Tilske
28th Apr 2012, 13:57
Does anyone know where I can find a schedule of the locations (Countries) for the first stage interviews for Cathay Pacific?

Thanks a lot!

VeroFlyer
28th Apr 2012, 15:01
@ckthepilot

I submitted my Cathay application about 4 years ago!! And within the last month have had emails and phone calls asking me to come for an interview!

ocanadaperfect
30th Apr 2012, 18:19
I dont think such schedule is available...

ocanadaperfect
30th Apr 2012, 18:22
1st round interview in vancouver on may 31st,anyone? and does anyone know where I can get the book "Preparing for your Cathay PacificInterview: The Pilot's Guide"? Thanks in advance!

Pyromania
30th Apr 2012, 18:22
Hi Captain Picard, please check PM.

Thanks!

Zac Clarke
30th Apr 2012, 21:07
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering, does anyone know the exact details of what a CX Second Officer gets when it comes to staff travel? And how does it all work? Like are they 90% discount vouchers, or….?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Zac :)

Robertson31
30th Apr 2012, 22:00
Ocanada,

Have you been invited to the 1st interview in YVR on May 31st or did you just hear that? Also, if you have been invited when did they tell you?

Thanks in advance....

cloudcloud
1st May 2012, 06:18
I've been invited to interview on May 28th, I wonder if anyone else is interviewed at the same time?

ashokbhatt1
1st May 2012, 07:36
bond737

did you tried contacting them for information on dates for stage 2??

i mailed them yest but no reply

Ghastal
1st May 2012, 08:24
@Enae,
You mean only CPP, right? Or does it include AE too?

EngineOut
1st May 2012, 08:33
It's been posted several times in this thread already that the ab-initio is closed for non HKID holders.
And no, AE is not ab-initio.

Ghastal
1st May 2012, 09:47
Advanced Entry.

flypaul
1st May 2012, 11:21
I dont think so they are busy with HKID holders in all level. If they would recruit just HK pilots then could mention it on their advertisement that they need just HKID holder.

captain.weird
1st May 2012, 13:16
Does really nobody has an answer on post #4172 (http://www.pprune.org/7150858-post4172.html) ?

Cpt. Underpants
1st May 2012, 15:05
Yes, the long course is now CLOSED for all applicants without HK(P)ID.

Forever.

captain.weird
1st May 2012, 16:11
Forver? Any resources?

Someone who can confirm it has been closed forever?

ocanadaperfect
1st May 2012, 17:52
Robertson,

Yes I have been invited to 1st round interview in YVR. Got invited last week, and I submitted my application in march2012. So i was pretty surprised when I got the invitation email...

ocanadaperfect
1st May 2012, 17:57
Not sure if the long course is closed FOREVER. but if it is true that the immigrant department not issuing visa is the cause, it is unlikely they will reopen in the short future. I think it makes sense for them to deal with applications from HKID holders first because cathay can save a looooooot fo money for not having to aid ppl's housing...

Cpt. Underpants
1st May 2012, 22:15
CX isn't paying housing to any new joiners, only a pittance of a "Hong Kong Allowance" - HKD10K/month.

"captain" weird, the HK Immigration Dept has stopped granting visas to low time cadets (rightly so). It's permanent until a change of government policy dictates otherwise.

Jeez Louise, how many people do you need to tell you the same thing? It's in this thread about twenty times. Mss the boat, did ya?

Robertson31
1st May 2012, 22:30
Good luck with the interview!

Do you have any flying experienc? University, etc.... Just curious as to the whom is being invited for interviews. Thanks for sharing and again good luck bro...

ocanadaperfect
1st May 2012, 23:55
Thanks Robertson!
I don't have any flying experience but i just finished my first year of university for aviation management. I'm also a HKID holder btw...

GTC58
1st May 2012, 23:59
Hiring freeze is in force since last week until further notice.

Robertson31
2nd May 2012, 01:13
Where did you get that info from?

GTC58
2nd May 2012, 02:53
CEO newsletter

PPRuNeUser0163
2nd May 2012, 05:19
GTC58,

if that is the case- why are they still inviting people to interviews and having mass recruiting in HKG.

I am not totally convinced until I see first hand proof

flypaul
2nd May 2012, 05:53
GTC,

where have you read the CEO newsletter?

Brandon8
2nd May 2012, 08:33
Hey all,

Just been preparing for my ab-inito in HK.

I am pretty confident with the technical quiz and personal interview but according to the e-mail the flight recruitment sent me, there is another interview which consists of 45 minutes of technical questions.

Does this mean the whole 45 minutes they will be asking me technical questions? That seems overwhelming for someone who has 40 flight hours on a Cessna 172 and puts some pressure on me to know all the stuff in the booklet they sent me.

45 minutes of non-stop questions is kind of insane!

Anyone else went through this interview? Were all the questions based off of the booklet they sent you?

Thanks in advance!

captain.weird
2nd May 2012, 10:45
Not only the booklet.. You have to know your plane.. In your shoes it will be the C172.. MTOW, TOS, things like that.. Engine power;.. Read this thread!!

ocanadaperfect
2nd May 2012, 20:44
@Brandon8,

I am preparing my 1st round interview in YVR as well. and i believe the email stated that the technical quiz is 45 minutes long and the personal and technical interview combined is an hour long. The interview is based on a lot more than the JKI booklet. and also, i'm just wondering when and where is your interview?

tcyandy
3rd May 2012, 06:51
Hi to all,
I am Andy, whom is having an interview for AB initio on the 23rd of May this month. Just wonder if anyone are interested to have a mock interview practice with me.
Cheers,
Andy

Brandon8
3rd May 2012, 08:28
@ocanadaperfect

My interview is in Hong Kong. I think we will have different interviews as the e-mail I received stated that I will go through:

Technical Quiz
Personality Test
Abstract Reasoning Test
Personal Interview (45 min)
Technical Interview (45 min)

The interview is based on a lot more than the JKI booklet? What else are we supposed to know?

I know the company itself pretty well, the fleet, and the engines but I don't expect the technical to go too in-depth for ab-inito interview..... It is supposed to be for people with no experience with flying at all.

I understand we need to know the basics but not too in-depth?

How are you studying, ocanadaperfect? What else are you doing besides the JKI booklet?

Cheers!

ocanadaperfect
3rd May 2012, 16:35
oh wow we do have a different schedule. since i only have limited time, i'm just gonna touch on the basics for all the technical stuff. so i guess when they ask a question, i would at least have heard of it and know the basics of it, maybe not in depth, but i can at least answer the 1st question they ask in that category. At the end, the more you know, it shows that the more you want it.

Do you have absolutely zero flying experience?
And i'm using the book ace the technical pilot interview and preparing for your cathay pacific interview for now.

tacsnioper
3rd May 2012, 19:26
I got an email from a recruiter today as well. I still have to call him/her to get the details. In the email, they want me to return to HK for the interview. Does anyone know if they will fly you out since they do have daily flights to/from Canada.

tacsnioper
3rd May 2012, 22:02
I applied as new entrant... have no flying experience or background.
Yes I am a HKID holder.

I saw someone got an interview at YVR... wonder why the recruiter wants me in HK in the email and not YVR instead. Guess I need to call them tonight to find out the details.

DexIkesa
4th May 2012, 02:01
I received the invite to YVR today. I have about 400 hrs but no HKID, just a Canadian Citizen.

ocanadaperfect
4th May 2012, 03:09
Hey Dex, just wondering when your interview in YVR is?

flypaul
4th May 2012, 05:32
@DexIkesa (http://www.pprune.org/members/387964-dexikesa),

Hi,

Can you inform us please that when did you apply?

Have you applied on the S/O Advanced Entry form what they sent us to complete until 12 May or you just applied online on their webpage???

Thanks in advance.

Brandon8
4th May 2012, 07:09
@ocanadaperfect

I have 40 hours on the C172.

Where did you get the book "ace the technical pilot interview" and the "preparing for your cathay pacific interview"?

They didn't e-mail me any of those?

Cheers!

DexIkesa
4th May 2012, 14:01
I hve been asked to YVR on the 31st of May, Yes I would be applying under the advanced entry (30 week) program. My only application so far has been on the website but I was emailed that Advanced entry form with the invite.

Captain Picard
4th May 2012, 16:18
@Brandon8

Google my friend.
They only e-mail you the "Aviation Knowledge" PDF.

tcyandy
5th May 2012, 02:11
Dear all,

In fact, there is no clear statement saying that there is any difference between a 20-hour or 40-hour flying experience. However, I have done more than 2 years on my preparation. And I guess the reason why there is a technical interview is simply because you guys were interviewing outside HK. One of my friends who was interviewed outside HK also got this 'technical session'. What he was expected to know is:
Meteorology and Jet engine these two big topics. And these topics are kinda hot recently. So I would suggest you guys pay more attention to these areas.

For me, I am going to be interviewed in HK, I only got 4 sessions to go:

1. Reasoning test
2. Personality test
3. JKI
4. Personal interview

By the way, just by any chance anyone will be interviewed on the 23rd of May? If so, wanna meet up?

DexIkesa
5th May 2012, 03:02
Yeah I spent the whole day reading this thread, crunching number, doing my own research. Not a chance. Not even going to go to the interview. A few tips. You are ALL over thinking this process. I went through the process of becoming a pilot for the Canadian Military. I went through Aircrew selection, all the interviews, testing medicals. I passed everything and was deemed ready to be trained as a Pilot. (however with little to no pilot positions available per year. They offered me Armoured Officer instead) I did all the same tests. math, WOMBAT, apititude etc. If you look at the military forum you see the same 17/18 year olds as you asking basically all the same questions and worrying their minds off about High school marks and extra curricular activities, and sports, volunteer time etc. Anything to give them an edge. I was an 86% average student graduating from high school. I was on no High school sports teams, never part of student council, had no community volunteer time. I didn't spend weeks with flash cards practising interview questions (just answer what they ask, no more, no less.) I sailed through the application and was Sworn in as an Officer in the Canadian forces (I have since Released/ retired) Now I know that all of you are likely type A personalities, prefectionists prone to panic, but CHILL. Enjoy life. My life has been far from easy (looking at the housing in Hong Kong that everyone complains about they are actually a lot better than where I currently live and I barely get paid enough to still have food left over at the end of the month.) For anyone with prior flight experience I strongly suggest passing on this. Even for those with no flight experience. If you do decide to do this. Relax, read the material, do NOT stress about those test. They test basic math, reflexes and hand eye coordination, learning curve, spatial orientation. Not exactly things you can study for (except math). Life is a journey not a destination. Cathay was never my destination, now I don't really even want it part of the journey. I'll be much happier on a navajo in the frozen north than on a 777 in HK touching nothing. In the 4 years till my upgrade to FO I could be at Westjet/ Aircanada or wherever I choose.

Brandon8
5th May 2012, 06:06
@DexIkesa

Why would you ever want to work for Air Canada? They are on the verge of bankruptcy. A whole bunch of labour situations where pilots were calling in sick and flights were delayed last month. Seems like flight crews are not too happy to be working for AC.

Westjet, on the other hand, is probably a solid choice. I just wish they also had some kind of cadet program also. If they had long-haul flights that would be awesome!

Cathay Pacific is one of the top airlines in the world and you all know that. I have ab-initio in a week and cannot wait to go through the process, although I am a bit nervous. Being able to be in the cockpit for Cathay is my dream. They are a solid airline that constantly make profits despite the economic recession and I think that speaks for itself.

Anyone who hates on CX most likely were candidates who were rejected or never invited for an interview.

Whatever happens with my interview, if I get hired or not, I will still be a fan of Cathay and will always fly with them.

Whenever I travel to Hong Kong from Vancouver I have always had a pleasant time. Don't get me started on the Vancouver - Hong Kong flights with Air Canada. The 777 seats are cramped and uncomfortable. The flight attendants are horrible and their labour situations speak for itself.

GO CATHAY PACIFIC!

crwjerk
5th May 2012, 06:31
Cathay Pacific is one of the top airlines in the world and you all know that.

Cathay Pacific WAS one of the top airlines.

Brandon8
5th May 2012, 07:03
@bond737

High fuel costs affect all airlines.

This is not a matter of poor management or no capital or no cash flow in the company.

This company made record profits after the 2008 recession and also during the late 1990 recession in Asia.

Air Canada, on the other hand, is poor management and workers are not satisfied at all. Now that is a problem!

gasperh90
5th May 2012, 14:08
I am not sure who is right and who is wrong and I am trying to figure this out on my own, because I can see that many people write something here with no proof at all. I think maybe some of people on this forum want to mislead other young cadets whose only chance to become a pilot is through this cadet pilot programme. I am not saying some of you are not right, I just want to say to other fresh pilots here, do not believe everything is true what other say. Go and find out on your own. I intend to do so too, I am new here and as far as I am concerned I am going to prepare for the ab-initio test as much as I can eventhough I might not get all things as good as some say, but this is my best chance to become a pilot and I will take it with pleasure :)

SloppyJoe
5th May 2012, 14:45
gasperh90

If you do not hold a permanent HKG id card you are not able to apply for the ab-initio course.

DexIkesa
5th May 2012, 14:57
In the 4 years till my upgrade to FO I could be at Westjet/ Aircanada or wherever I choose.

Well Brandon first you could learn to read. I said Westjet, Aircanada, or wherever I choose. I'm not sure I would work for either WJ or AC, they are examples. Second put down the Kool aid and think for a second. I have spent weeks at a time eating nothing but 1 bowl of oatmeal a day, because I was between paycheques. This would be that...for 5 years.

If you are from Canada or the US the options for you are MANY to become a pilot, the cadet program (once you have researched it) should never even be considered. Get a student loan, go to one of the subsidized colleges. Hell get a trade become a plumber or electrician or a welder and buy your own plane. Chase the lifestyle not the Iron, as they say. Most of you considering this program are young, have likely never left home, and just finishing high school, maybe college. IF you are finishing high school, use the money you would spend on university (40k+) and get your CPL multi IFR and floats. (did mine for $35k)

da_vichy
6th May 2012, 03:01
So let's say I am able to afford a CPL or even a frozen ATPL on my own. I'm assuming I will still join CX as an SO. Will the payscale still be the same? And the time to promotion (even though it is still seniority-based) is still the same as an ab-initio?

While I'm here, how does promotion work? Do they look at SOs in order of entry and then send them notice of a test? If they pass, they progress? If they fail, they stay?

CX-Hopeful
6th May 2012, 03:42
Hi guys,
I'm new to this thread. I was wondering if anyone knows what the stage 2 mathematics test involves. An example question would be really helpful. I don't have a stage 2 interview as of now, but I am hoping I will get one.

Thanks guys ;)

ali1552
6th May 2012, 05:18
Can someone please tell me how much is the value of annual increment in the salary of an SO? and is there any increment at all in the HKPA or does it stay constant at 10k $ throughout?

Rideontime
6th May 2012, 06:19
Brandon08

HM......I don't have a doubt that you said CX its a good company....And everyone has a different definition of a 'decent' lifestyle. So theres really no point of arguing on these topics.

But what I wanna suggest you is you should really think of 'Why you wanna be a pilot?' Is that because CX can offer you some good $$ and give you training? etc etc.....I mean for me, or for most of the people here that who really wanna be a pilot, they actually look for some real FLYING TIME. I really dont see theres an issue of bush flying. Because that what real flying is about. You navigate yourself you learn how to handle different types of situations! Its an experience! It is a very valuable experience when you look back if you can become a captain one day. While you might wanna just WATCH two experience pilot flying and you sit at the back of watching, maybe i guess you love to see people fly or just because you love the benefits of being a CX cadet. But not actually 'FLYING' itself.

To be honest if you really love flying or i should use the word dedicate for flying, you should have used all your $$ to learn flying CPL etc etc and not complaining it cost a lot of money. Because you love it thats why its worth it. But seems you are not thinking this way.....

Anyway one last suggestion for your interview. If they ask you why would you wanna join CX and you say all these benefits etc etc. I am sure you wont pass stage 1.

Best of luck

SloppyJoe
6th May 2012, 09:01
Even after you get all your licenses, you still have to build up hours bush flying. No thanks to that.

I love to fly and my dream is to become a pilot. If CX doesn't hire me, it is all good. At least I took the chance and now I can move on to something else and do my accounting.

So you dream of becoming a pilot but would not lower yourself to fly in the bush.

You love to fly but if you don't get into CX you would then give up and become an accountant.

At least you took the chance? What chance, applying to CX, big whoopidy doo, well done in following your dream.

Pathetic.

gasperh90
6th May 2012, 10:10
@sloppyJoe or anybody else who might have the answer

How do you know, that ab-inition programme is closed for non HKID holders? Because from what I can see on CX page, it says:

Cadet Pilot Programme – a 61-week programme for applicants with low experience and no ICAO CPL. Preference for this programme will be given to HKID holders.

It only says that HKID holders have a preference to this programme, it says nothing about not closing the programme for others.
And forum member Enae said 2 pages back that one of the recruiters confirmed, what I just wrote.

So please, where did you find out this news that Cadet Pilot Programme is closed?

CX-Hopeful
6th May 2012, 10:13
Alli1552,
At the moment the HKPA is constant at 10K per month. It increases with rank.

FO gets 14K, SFO get 18K, Captain gets 24k

As of the 01/05/2012, the SO salary per month is below.

Year 1 = 36,225K

Year 2 = 40,574K

Year 3 = 45,443K

Year 4 = 50,896K

Hope this helps,

~ cx-hopeful

Rideontime
6th May 2012, 10:20
Brandon8

A little suggestion for you buddy

Before you go into CX interview, you should really think of 'Why you wanna be a pilot?' Because from what I can tell, you wanna be a pilot or work for CX just because they are a good airline, offer you training, give you some good $$$ etc etc. Honestly, I really dont see whats the problem of flying in a bush. This is what real flying is about. You navigate you fly on your hand. It is an experience and a journey of a pilot career. I mean if you just wanna WATCH two pilots in front of you and fly the jet, probably you like to fly as a passenger more than a pilot and being a pilot is probably not a career that you looking for....

Other than that, if you really really love flying. Or i should use the word dedicate, no matter how limited is your financial situation, you will still use every cent in your account and pursuit your dream mate. Because you love flying and its worth it! But I really dont see the passionate from you. I think a lot of pilots parents are not Bill Gate or Richard Branson. So they obviously did some hard work and fought for their career.

Just some final suggestion for you interview, if you say all this stuffs in CX interview I am sure you wont even get pass stage 1 and you should continue you accounting career. Because they want someone who is PASSIONATE for flying. And i really cant see those things on you. Or even though you fake yourself in the interview and say different things, I feel really sad for you because you gonna do something that you are not passionate enough. Your life is really pathetic. And theres no way you can become a good pilot.

Best of luck

SloppyJoe
6th May 2012, 10:28
It is closed due to immigration issues. I believe those who had interviews prior to the HKG immigration department ruling will be allowed to continue but there are to be no new non HKID card holders accepted onto the ab-initio course.

The whole point of the cadet program (20 ish years ago) was to give local Hong Kong people the opportunity to become a pilot. Everyone else employed as pilots at CX had experience that could not be found locally and so they were issued working permits, something you are not given if the experience can be found locally.

The international guys previously hired onto the ab-initio course were seen by the immigration department to be in breach of the rule as they had no qualifications or past experience that could not be found locally. They were in fact totally unqualified for a job as a pilot. Quite rightly the immigration department said that this is not allowed as there are plenty of unqualified locals to go onto this course.

I know this as work at CX. I am sorry to bring bad news but it is fair, would you like it if there was such a course in your country but most people hired were from the other side of the world?

illustrator
6th May 2012, 10:41
It's almost closed buddy.
If you successfully pass the flight grading, you will find yourself on an INDEFINITE waiting list (which could possibly keep you waiting life-long). That means you may never join the CPP in spite of the description on CX website.

SloppyJoe
6th May 2012, 10:46
That's why I said this buddy.

It is closed due to immigration issues. I believe those who had interviews prior to the HKG immigration department ruling will be allowed to continue but there are to be no new non HKID card holders accepted onto the ab-initio course.

gasperh90
6th May 2012, 10:50
Thank you for the explanation, I will consider other options, but still I might try to apply for this and see what happens.
Speaking about this, is it possible to get HKID if I was not born there?

When did they close this programme? Because on FT Adelaide page is news, that group of cadet pilots just finished the ab-inition programme few days ago and the programme started on 5 March 2011, pilots are from 7 different countries, so I believe not all of them can be HKID holders.

Thank you for help

ali1552
6th May 2012, 10:54

SloppyJoe
6th May 2012, 11:13
I would still apply if I were you also (very unlikely but things can change).

It was a few months ago when I heard about it. If the course was an advanced entry one on the FTA website CX are still hiring guys for this course who have experience without a HKID. If it was ab-initio these guys/girls would have been going through the selection process about 18 months ago, so before the ruling from the HKG immigration dept. It could also be due to them growing up in HKG but being another nationality, a permanent HKID does not allow you automatically to get a HKG passport so they would still be another nationality.

Yes you could get a (non permanent) HKID if you got a job in HKG due to having experience not found locally required for the position. After living in HKG for 7 years you could then get a permanent HKID and be able to apply for the ab-initio course. There is no shortcut so this is not a viable option.

illustrator
6th May 2012, 11:14
@SloppyJoe

Sorry mate my post referred to previous posts...

concord84
6th May 2012, 14:03
Hi,
if someone is going for the advanced entry flight grading next week and want to share a few infos just pm me.
I'll be leaving from London on the 10th.
All the best.
C84

GTC58
6th May 2012, 15:42
I stand corrected, after reading the DFO update it seems no hiring freeze for cadets, but for all other positions in the company.

gasperh90
6th May 2012, 19:34
GTC58,

are u sure? I wish this is true, where did u read that? What is DFO update?

Thanks

CX-Hopeful
7th May 2012, 06:21
Hi guys,
I'm new to this thread. I was wondering if anyone knows what the stage 2 mathematics test involves. An example question would be really helpful. I don't have a stage 2 interview as of now, but I am hoping I will get one.

Thanks guys :)

holycow123
7th May 2012, 07:57
Hi Gents.
I have a Stage one interview June 7th for advanced entry.
Does anyone have any gouge for me who was recently interviewed?

Thanks.

flypaul
7th May 2012, 09:30
@Holycow123,

Hi,

Where will be your interview?

Can i ask you, when did you apply for AE programme and when did they answer to you?

Thanks,

Paul

dagger19
7th May 2012, 11:50
if HKG immigration department ruling is effective as of now, how abt those dont possess HKID yet already under training in FTA? they cant fly as SO even after getting their wings?

i guess CX has ntg left to choose for now. perhaps then packages will improve from here.

captain.weird
7th May 2012, 12:50
- Those who are undergoing their training @FTA will get the HKID because they did their selection a while ago (before this interception of the HK gvt).

- It is only a little bit exciting for the guys who are in the selection (without HKID and who are going for the 61wks course).

It is really going to take a while to join CX as a 61wks cadet. There are rumours going that maybe those with a Aviation Degree maybe can get a seat at the 61wks course. But that is going to take a while too to implement this.

Just go get your licences on your own money and don't thrust Cathay (or any other airline)! Move your a**!!

Cpt. Underpants
7th May 2012, 22:32
- There are rumours going that maybe those with a Aviation Degree maybe can get a seat at the 61wks course.

No such thing. The HKSAR is P!SSED at CX for trying this on, and have made it clear that zero time inductees are to be HKSAR ID holders. Period.

The advice not to trust any airline is absolutely valid, though. Don't sell your soul to these pirates.

lucky86
9th May 2012, 07:37
Hi Everyone,

I had my initial interview 3.5 weeks ago in Sydney and I'm still waiting a reply...

Anyone else here in the same situation? Or know when I'll get a response?

Thanks...

lucky86
9th May 2012, 10:03
Thanks bond737, appreciate the quick reply.

gasperh90
9th May 2012, 12:20
@lucky86

are u HKID holder? and when did u apply for selection?

lucky86
9th May 2012, 13:26
hi gaspherh90, instead of repeating the history of myself in this forum, just look at my posting history.

gasperh90
9th May 2012, 15:40
lucky86

you are right, I asked to quickly. I have one question. How is that you have a HKID? Are u from Hong Kong? Is there any chance to get HKID if I do not live there?

Thanks

captain.weird
9th May 2012, 16:24
Gasperh, you are getting your frozen ATPL during the summer right? So you are finishing your flight training, am I right?

If that is the case, you have to apply when you got your fATPL. You will get an invite as a AE cadet, 32wks of training and you will become a SO for CX.

Capish?

gasperh90
9th May 2012, 17:21
I am getting my fATPL that is correct. However I do not have 250 hours of total flight time yet, I have PPL licence and 60 hours of TT. In my country, Slovenia, we have mechanical engineering degree and ATPL theory combined in one school. So when I finish I will have a degree and a fATPL, which I will transform into ATPL theory by passing all of 14 exams.

Can I apply for AE only by ATPL theory? Or should I first get 250 hours of TT?
I estimate I can get 250 hours within 2 years.

Thank you for help

captain.weird
9th May 2012, 20:11
You really need to have those 250ish hours. Combined with a fATPL. Plus a CPL at least.

jumpseatCAPT
9th May 2012, 20:25
So I hear on the TVB (Hong Kong) news that due to looming fuel prices, a loss in 2011, and a weak 2012 thus far; CX is cutting routes to North America, etc etc, as well as putting a freeze on hiring. How will that affect those already invited to the AE SO Initial Interview in YVR June 1st?

What are the chances that CX will have all these candidates fly to YVR, put themselves up in a hotel, interview knowing that all these poor chaps haven't a chance of getting hired due to the hiring freeze?

Rather cruel and a mutual waste of resources, no?

CX-Hopeful
10th May 2012, 07:39
Hi guys,
Has anyone done the stage 2 mathematics test? How did you prepare for it?

Thanks for your help ;)

jackson0211
10th May 2012, 08:17
Hello everybody!

Is there anyone having their first interview on next wed?

Cpt. Underpants
10th May 2012, 09:06
IF what CX mismanagement are touting is true, I predict layoffs before the end of the year.

Last in, first out. Welcome to the big bad world of airline economics, 2012.

SMOC
10th May 2012, 09:20
Last in, first out. Welcome to the big bad world of airline economics, 2012

CX couldn't be targeting the instructor cadets could they???? Could they be that cruel? No wonder they are fighting for their DOJ!

Cpt. Underpants
10th May 2012, 10:52
They're not known as Sids' "Pirates" for nothing.

It's not personal, it's only business. In the past, when layoffs became a possibility, the company appealed to its incumbent aircrew to "volunteer" for "SLS" - Special Leave - in order to "save jobs". In return, it was agreed that the company would address a number of outstanding industrial issues.

They haven't addressed ANY issues that were on the agreement. 4 years and counting.

I can confidently predict that if CX asks the aircrew again for "special" dispensations, the answer will be a resounding "NO". We will see layoffs. Yes, the 19 Adelaide guys should and will fight for date of joining - or the street it will be.

This is unprecedented for CX, but more common than you would think - in the region, SQ, JAL and others have all had redundancies in the past.

tupps
10th May 2012, 17:13
Absolutely no mention of frozen recruitment RE: Cadets, it has only been announced that a ground crew recruitment freeze is in force.

Robertson31
10th May 2012, 18:21
I would be careful to uproot myself to the other side of the world for any asian company right now with everything going on in the EU and Asia without solid employment guarantees and a reasonable parachute should they choose to terminated the contract due to no fault of your own. That is standard practice for any credible company recruiting Canadians or Americans for work in Asia. Unless of course you're from India or Pakistan you would be crazy to go there with anything less.

ocanadaperfect
10th May 2012, 19:09
In fact, news in march indicated that they would increase the amount of cadets they are recruiting this year.

Cpt. Underpants
11th May 2012, 02:55
That was March. This is May. Cathay is a 100% Reactive, 0% Proactive style managed airline.

During SARS, they thrust one months' unpaid leave on us.

Before the first leave had been taken, they were desperately trying to rescind the unpaid leave agreement as the recovery was instantaneous and they realised (with shock and horror) that they wouldn't be able to man flights.

ckthepilot
13th May 2012, 16:05
Anyone hear anything back since the infamous, please send me your updated forms and hours email? I applied for the AE program and was wondering if they are conducting interviews for it?

flypaul
13th May 2012, 18:23
Nothing since the "received with thanks" mail.

Yesterday the 12 May deadline expired, here is the time to pray for invitation to initial interview.

jumpseatCAPT
13th May 2012, 21:58
anyone here going to the June 1st interviews in YVR?

ocanadaperfect
15th May 2012, 00:03
Can anyone confirm the licenses we are gonna earn after the FTA training? HKCPL, HKMECIR, HKfATPL. anything else?

captain.weird
15th May 2012, 06:59
If you mean what you are gonna earn when you are a SO, check the website of CX itself.

newtoaviation
15th May 2012, 07:28
Hi everyone, I am very new to this forum and I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me. Has anyone that has applied to the SO training programme without flying experience gotten a reply from CX? If so, is the first interview the same as the AE for the SO training programme? I have read quite a bit on the AE first interview and was wondering if there would be the technical component for the basic training first interview too.

AsL402
15th May 2012, 07:50
Seen a lot of posts asking about the mental math tst for stage 2 but don't see much answers. Anyone know if it is aviation mental math questions or just general mental math questions? Thanks!

lucky86
15th May 2012, 08:24
Been a month since my initial interview and still haven't had a reply from CX.
:(:(:(:(:(

ademaro
15th May 2012, 08:43
3 weeks for me and none still.

MidRange
16th May 2012, 11:00
who was in AMS in May for initial interview? anybody got a mail with results ?

Let's hope for the best!!

lucky86
17th May 2012, 01:01
in May???

We done our interview in April, Wait your turn!!

lol :D

SMOC
17th May 2012, 13:13
You mean "did" right.

lucky86
17th May 2012, 22:43
yes, did.

lol.

well there goes my English Test.

adamctk
18th May 2012, 05:03
It is not the mental math, you are given pencil and 2 papers for calculation. The mathes is divided into 2 part. part 1 is + - X / and 2nd part is 1 in 60.

good luck

nicolas13
18th May 2012, 09:18
Hi,

I passed myfirst interview in Paris in February 24th , I received an email onemonth after from Cathay who said “you have been shortlisted for theCathay Pacific Stage 2 Interview”. Since march 26th, I don’t haveany news about them, I sent several email and calls, and for the moment, Idon’t have any answer !! Does someone know what’s happen ???? or what’swrong ?? I ‘m waiting for 7 weeks now…

Thanks.

CX-Hopeful
19th May 2012, 10:43
Lucky 86,
Not hearing for a month probably means that you were successful. I heard that if you hear earlier then it's unlikely that you passed.

Hope this helps,

cx-hopeful =)

lucky86
19th May 2012, 11:48
Thanks for your support CX hopeful..

Will keep this forum (and potential CX hopefuls like us) up to date...

massive fingers crossed!

ArmstrongLimit
19th May 2012, 17:11
just thought that i would throw this out there as there is a ton of in correct information on this thread. Though perhaps this is why it is a rumor network. In any event: you DO NOT need your HKID card to be considered for the long course in FTAL. Even though it may say it on the cx website... Dont let this deter you from submitting your application blokes. As of the last few weeks there have been numerous applicants who have passed the stage 2 without the HKID card.

This is by far the best program for low time pilots out there. Do not let anyone discourage you from your dream. Good luck to all and hope to see you in cx one day!

Cpt. Underpants
19th May 2012, 21:32
Armstrong

Regarding the HKID issue:

No "ifs", "ands" or "buts", you need a permanent HKID if you're APPLYING for the long course.

The candidates who have "passed stage 2 without the HKID card" are either NOT long course applicants or passed stage 1 PRIOR to the Hong Kong Immigration Departments ruling on eligibility. The Immigration Deprtment is emphatic - NO long courses will be offered to unskilled applicants as they will NOT receive a visa on completion.

Rationalise it bud - unemployment in HKG at an all time high and foreign job seekers taking away opportunities from locals?

Too much "California gold" my friend.

ArmstrongLimit
20th May 2012, 00:47
Underpants

Thats an interesting point about the time frame in which they applied. I have left 2 of them a voicemail and will update the forums once i hear back.

I was able to get ahold of one lad from the uk and he applied in august, 1st interview in HK in Oct, 2nd in Dec, and now is being sent for flight grading. However in my 2nd stage interview/medical im near certain that there was a chap from singapore who had said he had gone from application to said point all in '12.

Though I may not agree with you on everything, I do agree that locals should be given first priority for the long course. (perhaps even priority for the short course & TT)

On a separate note: I wonder if instead of CX investing in the rumored dedicated runway, why not invest the 1Billion HKD in a fuel contract much the same way southwest did.

Cpt. Underpants
20th May 2012, 01:58
I'm sure that CX have investigated the possibility of refinery ownership. It's either too expensive or their "crystal ball" is saying something else. My guess is that that CX may get into bio-fuels - Swires have massive agricultural holdings that could easily expand into corn, rapeseed or other bio-fuel source materials.

The one thing you should understand about CX is that they are 100% reactive in their management style. There are no long term plans and "strategic" in a CX context is around 2 years.

It's a strength and a weakness - fast on their feet, quick to react but always behind the curve.

The guy from SIN may have a HKID. I know - positively - that the long program is only open to HK (permanent) ID holders...and rightly so IMHO.

By the way, CX is not paying for the 3rd runway, the HKSAR government/taxpayer (me) is. CX is in the process of building a massive new cargo terminal at CLK, right next to existing cargo facility.

ArmstrongLimit
20th May 2012, 03:24
It would without a doubt be great to see CX get into the bio-fuel industry. If close enough to CLK perhaps they could even then gain fueling contracts with other carriers. The possibilities seem endless and we could spend an eternity here theorizing all to no avail. "There are no long term plans and "strategic" in a CX context is around 2 years.:ugh:

Kezler
21st May 2012, 00:54
Got an interesting couple of dates in my starter pack, seems like I'm only in Adelaide for 5weeks for a TT course. Anyone hear of them changing the course content or length of time there? Got some mates who spent the entire 14 weeks on a TT course, wondering why mines so short(relatively...).

Any info appreciated, K

doublexhalin
21st May 2012, 04:35
Hi all,

was just wondering, has anybody failed the CX stage 1 and then CX replied with an email asking you to reapply in 6 months time? (instead of the usual 12 months time)

and has anyone tried calling CX after failing stage 1 and asking to see what you could improve on? and does CX usually tell you the answer?

Many thanks!!!

orangeboy
21st May 2012, 05:29
They normally won't tell you where you failed directly, but may hint towards it if you probe enough.

Cpt. Underpants
21st May 2012, 06:15
Factually Hong Kong privacy laws (entrenched in the Basic Law) prevent disclosure of any sort. Don't even ask: you're asking the person on the other end of the line to break the law.

Yes, it may not be fair, but the interview is just that, not a test, you're either accepted, deferred or rejected.

jackcarls0n
21st May 2012, 08:51
I gave my 1st stage in april. Didnt get through. After reviewing, the tests went well, the interview was good, but not sure what was the reason for not getting accepted. Could be anything, not having enough IR or ME time, or not being current etc. Or maybe one wrong answer in the interview or something you said on the medical form. But anyway, I did email them and tried to ask if they could share the information. But havn't heard back from them.

Anyway, later I talked to couple of friends in HK who live there not pilots. They said the money CX would give is peanuts to live in HK. Besides that in the interview it was clearly stated that as a SO you wont be flying for say next 5-6 years at all. Just few Sim rides etc. It seemed like they want SO's just to take care of an requirement rather then to have quality trained pilots for future now.

lucky86
21st May 2012, 09:52
Right.

So you applied for CX, went for the first interview, and failed.
To 'self esteem boost' yourself, you now knock the paying conditions of CX.
With that attitude, you should rethink why you didn't get accepted...

To clarify for others, For 'westerners' to live in hk with an expectation of a western lifestyle, then yes, your disposable income after rent is peanuts.

Western lifestyle = 3 bedroom house with a backyard.

Hk lifestyle = small 2 bedroom apartment.

TruthSeeker6
21st May 2012, 14:03
"To 'self esteem boost' yourself, you now knock the paying conditions of CX.
With that attitude, you should rethink why you didn't get accepted..."

I couldn't agree more! They (CX) probably saw his personality shortcomings and wouldn't give him the second stage.

TruthSeeker6
21st May 2012, 14:09
Underpants,

Would you be kind enough to share the language from the HK law(s) you allege where an employer is barred from disclosing information of any sorts?

It has always been my understanding an employer does not tell the applicant why they were not given the job to prevent any civil suit from the applicant for any reason.

Please enlighten me...

Robertson31
21st May 2012, 14:52
Luky86, Seems like the people who need help with their self esteem are those who take a poor paying, non-flying job thinking thier airline pilots. It's idiots like you who accept these kinds of vulgar work and pay conditions which has reduced the airline piloting career to the likes of a cab driver. If you'd have any balls at all you'd learn to fly for real then get a real job flying airplanes which means you have to make decisions and touch the controls on landing and takeoff and not just make the rest bunks up for the Captain! Why don't you ask what the real CX captains think of the SO coming onto to line. They wouldn't let these guys serve coffee to the passengers let alone touch the controls of a 747.

ArmstrongLimit
21st May 2012, 15:45
Jack

When you and a few chaps from fta combine your allowances your peanuts dont seem so small after all. Quite a lot of peanuts actually. 40,000 HKD/Month...

6 years Jack?.... 3 years 11 months +- 1 month

and with your 100,000 Euro sign on bonus... yes peanuts jack peanuts

im allergic to them anyways, terrible allergies

VeroFlyer
21st May 2012, 16:38
Anyone who dismisses this job as a waste of time and poorly payed is really quite short sighted. By joining an airline like Cathay Pacific you have to look long term. It's an investment in the rest of your career. Do you think you are going to be an SO for the next 40 years or something?
I don't know about you guys but I have aspirations of becoming a Captain, and I can't think of a better airline to do this at.
The money maybe what you call "peanuts" (i disagree) in the short term, but long term it goes up and up.
I find some of the posts here that slate this program quite lacking in any kind of thought.
Flying a metro liner is a job, joining Cathay is a career.
I'm not knocking hands on flying, I've done it for the last 5 years myself and had a blast. But now it's time to invest in the rest of my career and opportunities like this don't come along often.

cloudcloud
21st May 2012, 17:25
I'm going for interview in late May. But as far as my research, there's really nothing extra that you need to study.

Just all the basics and it should be fine. This is my second time going through the interviews.

Good Luck

doublexhalin
21st May 2012, 17:28
Yeah i called cx back and they told me that i need to be patient and that her colleague will call me and give me feedback on my stage 1 and tell me what i need to work on??

i had my interview on may 18 in HK and 2/8 (including myself) so far has gotten an email telling us to try again in 6 months time instead of 12 months..

have they reduced the time for us to reapply now or is it just for certain cases? any ideas anyone?

Robertson31
21st May 2012, 19:34
Vero, see if they'll put that in writing. You stand a much better chane of getting furloughed then you ever will getting promoted. Suggest you stick to the Metro because in 5 years you'll have thousands of more hours in the left seat which will allow you to join an airline as a real pilot and not as a slightly more knowlegable flight attndant. With CX you'll have no more flight time in 6 years then you do now. CX is not an investment in your future its a waist of time or don't you want to listen to the older folks who have experienced first hand?

tupps
21st May 2012, 21:19
@Robertson, why, if you are not thinking of applying to the scheme, are you on the forum specifically designed for potential candidates? Seriously, focus on something other than bad mouthing the CPP, perhaps your spelling? It's old news and it helps absolutely nobody.

Robertson31
21st May 2012, 22:06
Tupps, I follow a lot of forums. Didn't think I needed your permission to give an opinion. The truth does hurt for some I know. I'll make sure I submit my comments to you in advance to ensure it meets with your approval and you can continue to point out typo's.

i follow road
22nd May 2012, 00:24
I just got back from my stage 2. To answer your question, the HR lady there told me they are looking to hire 300 cadet pilots each year for the next three years as there is a lot of movement with the flight crew. ( lots of SOs moving to JFO and captains retiring) CX is looking to hire cadet pilots but you still have to be competent and meet their standards in order to move on through the stages. Hope this helps.

lucky86
22nd May 2012, 01:17
that does help! great news for wannabes like us..

Captain Dart
22nd May 2012, 02:35
I would take what HR are saying with a huge grain of salt. They are just clerks being fed 'a line'.

In fact, at the moment CX is crying 'poor' and parking freighters. The future of the 747-400 fleet is looking doubtful. The shiny 777's arriving (and they don't stay shiny for long in the filthy South China air), may only be replacements.

Not many captains are retiring, the annual figure is barely in double figures, retirement age is now 65, and with anti-discrimination legislation, there may be no actual retirement age in the future.

From personal experience as a current CX captain, Hong Kong International Airport is becoming choked with traffic, severely limiting expansion of the hub. With any sort of bad weather about, even miles from the field, ATC is becoming chaotic and sometimes dangerous, with large numbers of aircraft in limited airspace and choked ATC frequencies.

Even when the third runway is built, the idiotic Mainland Chinese airspace restrictions will cap further expansion.

Overseas basings are under a cloud, and even if they were available to you there are double taxation issues and new joiners would be in the queue behind some 2,700 pilots in the pecking order. You will be condemned to live for most or all of your career in a very expensive city, always preparing for or recovering from jet lag and 'red eye' flights, in sub standard accommodation on a sub standard package.

Should your application be successful and you pass the training, you will be perceived by current crew as having accepted inferior conditions of service, and any complaints about lifestyle, remuneration, rosters or lack of promotion will be met with little sympathy.

i follow road
22nd May 2012, 04:21
What Captain Dart said is true. CX cargo isn't exactly doing well and if you're planning on joining the cadetship, plan on living in HK for the rest of your life. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the two days while I was at CX city, there were 12 candidates in both days ( stage 1+ stage 2) being interviewed. So they are interviewing and hiring! You just need to wait for your number to come up and when it does you need to capitalize the opportunity and show them the months and months of preparation that you've done.

VeroFlyer
22nd May 2012, 09:14
@Robertson, You think I fly a metro liner?, that was just an example...haha! god no, do you think I have a death wish?!?!

SloppyJoe
22nd May 2012, 11:08
I never knew metros were unsafe. Looking back over your previous posts got me curious. Who do you work for and what have you been flying?

flypaul
22nd May 2012, 14:03
Guys,

Did anyone receive any answer from HR?

thx,

Paul

Robertson31
22nd May 2012, 14:16
Vero...That's too bad. If I was on an airplane and knew the pilot had thousands of hours flying in the Canadian arctic in Metro's I'd feel pretty good. The real interesting part of flying Metro's or other airplanes in harsh conditions is that the experience is the best teacher. There is no substitute for that and CX knows that and for those who think they can circumvent that type of flying and get onto a transport category airplane you are mistaken. The kids who don't understand the importance of getting the exam first and then the lesson after will be missing out on the most important and fun part of any aviation on the job training. There is just no way CX will be able to move zero or low time pilots into flying positions on the heavy metal with any degree of long-term safety. This has been tried by Asian airlines for years and they have the worst safety records outside of Africa and Russia (they were only able to change this when they brought back experienced Western pilots). CX does understand this and when they do have a real shortage of co-pilots as thier Captains retire they will bring back direct entry candidates again who have thousands of jet hours. I doubt they would put their planes and reputation in the hands of a pilot who hasn't Touched the controls of an airplane in years where the only flying they did do before that was at a flight school in single engine Tobago's. Common guys...think this through. Your going into fill an immediate need as cheap labor only. They'd put flight attendants in that position if they could but they earn too much. The likelyhood of real advancement without real flight time in aviation is real low. Sorry to rain on people's parade but that's the way I see it. CX doesent really intend to move you into flying positions and they don't exactly have a great reputation of fulfilling promises either. They will do whats in their best interest not yours.

flypaul
22nd May 2012, 14:43
Guys,

Everyone has to start somewhere.

In this weird world at most of airlines if you dont know someone they wont employ you. They wont give you a chance to show how much you are prepared for an interview. If you are a son of a captain or you know someone from the management than the doors opening...

How and where should these guys build jet hours???

Every airlines wants F/O-s with thousand of jet hours. Preferred if these hours on the type what the airline use.

These guys just wants to realize their dreams. its not a sin. Everyone here just would like to fly...

This is a vicious circle, they need only experienced pilots on jets....but how should them fly on jets if nobody give a chance?

I think nobody was born with 5000 hours on jet.

Let's fly and never give up your dreams!

jackcarls0n
22nd May 2012, 17:27
@Lucky87... You can say I am boosting my self esteem by saying the pay is not so good. It might work out for single guys in their early twenties but not for guys like me who has to take care of things when you are reaching the late twenties.

I am not against the cadetship program. CX is one of the only airlines currently in the world that has a program for people from all around the world. And its a great platform and really appreciate the opportunity that CX gives to a lot of people every year. You would learn a lot from the program as well. Everything has pros and cons. For me, on the long run CX's program has more cons then pros for me. But it was a learning experience for sure.

It is an individual choice for sure. Some might like it some might not. At the end of the day everyone wants to be up front in that cockpit be it a shiny jet or a single engine piston. That is what we as pilots want rather than to sit on the ground.

airgent
22nd May 2012, 20:39
Anyone with an interview set for early June in San Francisco?

lucky86
23rd May 2012, 02:11
that's alright jack, I was just being a cock, had a crap day... hope no offence was taken :)

Btw, I received an email last night and I've been shortlisted for the 2nd stage interview.

CX Application for 61weeks course - Jan 2012 (i have 0 flight hours)
1st stage Interview -16 April (in Sydney)
1st stage Results - 22 May

doublexhalin
23rd May 2012, 06:55
congrats on passing your stage 1!

please keep us posted!

i have 0 flight hours as well, how did you study for your JKI test? did you dig deeper and did you find the MC's tricky? as well how did you do you the reasoning? did you find it relatively easy?

lucky86
23rd May 2012, 08:33
thanks doublexhalin, more than happy to keep wannabes like us updated, I got heaps of help on this forum as well!

to answer your questions:
how did you study for your JKI test?
like how i would study for anything else.. but i also got myself the bob tait VFR BAK which was really good.

did you dig deeper and did you find the MC's tricky?
MC was pretty straight forward if you studied.

as well how did you do you the reasoning?
horrible. raven's matrix was a pain in the asss to do.

did you find it relatively easy?
it was ok, wont say it was easy...

random10
23rd May 2012, 09:24
I have read through this thread but couldn't find any information regarding the different kinds of HK IDs that are accepted by Cathay.

I do not have an HK ID yet but am currently in the process of the application. I was not born in Hong Kong but am a child of a parent that was. From the information that I have gathered, I will most likely be getting an HK ID with 1 star. Would Cathay accept applications with 1 star or is it only for 3 star HK ID holders?

Thanks,
Joe

flyber
23rd May 2012, 13:06
Hi mates, anybody with an idea on how Icao English Retest is conducted for international applicants who don't reside in Hong Kong?

Robertson31
23rd May 2012, 15:01
Flypaul, and jet pilots are not born with 250 hours of Tobago time either. I had almost 3000 hours of muti time before I touched a jet and it was still a challenge! I'm only trying to open peoples eyes to the fact that the longest distance between two points is a short cut. CX SO position is not any time, either jet or propeller. Seriously, you'd be better off instructing for a few years then moving into a commuter airline. CX is not offeri g anyone a flying job...sorry.

Pyromania
23rd May 2012, 15:28
Hi lucky86,

Congrats on passing Stage 1!

While you were waiting for your results, did CX call you in for the ICAO English Test?

I did my Stage 1 about a week ago. I am still waiting for results
One of the candidates (who resides in HK) got a call do do his ICAO test. however, there was no call for me to do the ICAO Test. Perhaps that has to do with the fact that I reside in Toronto and it may be grouped together with Stage 2? (which I hope I will make it to)
Looks like it does take quite some time from Stage 1 to Stage 2.
As they say, no news is good news. (I haven't got any rejection emails yet)

Best of Luck in Stage 2!!

flypaul
23rd May 2012, 16:17
Robertson31,

I absolutelly agree with you. It was not against you. i just outlined my opinion.

I know lot of guys who had only 250 hours CPL time and 10 hours on ME and they got the F/O seat....this is the life.....someone musts to walk towards his dream on a long way and someone has shortest way...

wish the best

Robertson31
23rd May 2012, 17:23
Flypaul...it's all good. I'm just glad I'm not flying as a passenger on that plane;) By the way, I'm just giving my opinion on here not preaching religion. Some will agree, others won't and many others still will have very different views. What's important is for all regardless of age try and listen to everyone before making a choice...that's what CRM has tought us! I'm also a former flight instructor and I do get passionate about younger pilots on a good career path trying to take a short cut and putting too much faith in any one airline or employer. this is perhaps more a NA attitude which is very different in other parts of the world I understand.

jackcarls0n
23rd May 2012, 17:55
@lucky87...

no offence taken ...good luck mate...hope the 2nd stage goes well too.

Btw someone said 100,000 euros sign on bonus..hehe was that a joke?

airgent
24th May 2012, 01:33
@no.boundaries...when did you start and can you tell us a bit about your benefits then and now? how's life in HK?

flypaul
24th May 2012, 06:09
@enthusiastic (http://www.pprune.org/members/389318-enthusiastic),

Hi,

When did you apply for?

Where the interwiev will be held?

Thx

tchanhk
24th May 2012, 08:09
Hi noboundaries

Can you share your experience of what life is like as a SO

Type of route you fly, lifestyle, financial, training etc

CX-Hopeful
24th May 2012, 09:52
Lucky86,
What did I tell you! Congratulations =)

~cx-hopeful

holycow123
25th May 2012, 05:36
I have one set for June 7th.

flypaul
26th May 2012, 06:41
@enthusiastic,

Thanks for answer!

ckthepilot
26th May 2012, 06:45
To those who are getting Stage 1 interviews: Are they ab-initio, advanced entry or transitional SO?

Anyone who applied for the Advanced Entry hear anything back yet?

ckthepilot
26th May 2012, 06:47
I have one set for June 7th.

Which cadet program is this for? :)

blade
26th May 2012, 07:55
no.boundaries

Hasnt your package increased over 25% in the last few years,salary,housing allowance

flyber
26th May 2012, 18:24
@enthusiastic (http://www.pprune.org/members/389318-enthusiastic), CP 52 is for August. I have also heard that they will be another CP class in October.
Btw guys, can a pending Icao retest be converted to a 12 month deferral such that one has to wait until 12 months and be subjected to a repeat of stage 2/3 again? Just experienced it. I had my Icao on February this year (For stage 3) and had been promised a retest in 6 months time only to be shocked to learn that I will instead have another stage 2 and then a retest. Mind you, I had passed stage 2 and proceeded to stage 3. I wonder why their change of heart and this miscommunication?:confused:

pilotmike7
27th May 2012, 09:54
Does anyone know when they are going to interview from the UK region next? Anyone on here applied from the UK recently and been contacted?

lucky86
27th May 2012, 12:26
Hi All,

Does anyone know the flight grading process? There ain't many recent posts on this topic? All I know is it's Adelaide.

How long is the course? FTA run? Is just sim?

Thanks.

flyber
27th May 2012, 16:43
@enthusiastic,I have already done stage 2 and made it to stage 3 where I did medical and Icao, but was referred for a retest in 6 months time. I wonder why the news of a 12 months deferral and another stage 2 interview later?

holycow123
27th May 2012, 17:28
Advanced Entry.

tchanhk
27th May 2012, 22:50
Hi

No boundaries

U mention ur normal route are to Australia n Dubai n fly airbus

Do majority of the SO start off on these routes and aircraft

Andy98
28th May 2012, 08:43
@lucky 86
Explains the program a bit :) :ok:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdbJXlGMwJ8

ocanadaperfect
28th May 2012, 19:53
does anyone know how to classify a 777300 from 777300ER just by looking at it?

ocanadaperfect
28th May 2012, 20:32
So i guess i'd have to look at the engine sticker to find out?

CXcandidate
29th May 2012, 00:31
Has anyone else recieved an offer for the Stage 2 interview in HK but yet not given dates? I got my email notification of a stage 2 interview about 6 weeks ago and still no date.

anyone else encountering this?

flypaul
29th May 2012, 03:35
300er has a greater wingspan. Almost 4 meters on the whole lenght.

smurf84
29th May 2012, 05:10
Distinguishing feature : Raked wingtips (on the 773-ER)

captain.weird
29th May 2012, 08:38
The easiest thing that you can see regarding the difference between the 300 and 300ER are the engines with their logos.

The 300 is a Rolls Royce one, and the 300ER is one from GE with 115,000lbs. Just tick it in at google, you'll see the logos..

Someone news regarding the recruitment policy? Is it still closed for ab initios (non-HKID)?

Pitot Probe
29th May 2012, 09:01
-300: Normal wingtips -ER: Raked wingtips
-300: Smaller RR engines -ER: Bigger GE engines
-300: Engine sticker is a black square with RR on it
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/ap_dutoit/Rolls-Royce-Sticker.jpg
-ER: Grey GE sticker
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/ap_dutoit/K5PX2466_rsz.jpg

-300: Normal 777 Landing Gear -ER: Semi-Levered Main Gear (includes an extra hydraulic actuator on the main gear)
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/ap_dutoit/K5PX2376_rsz.jpg
(These stickers are Cathay specific and will differ for other airlines)

The other obvious way is knowing the tailnumbers.
For Cathay: B777-200: B-HNA to B-HND & B-HNL
B777-300: B-HNE to B-HNK & B-HNM to B-HNQ
B777-3ER: B-KPA to B-KPZ & B-KQA to B-KQB

Hope that helps.

ocanadaperfect
29th May 2012, 16:39
Thanks guys for the help! I'm having my 1st round interview in Vancouver on the 31st.

rcswing
29th May 2012, 18:28
Same here have been waiting 6 wks for a date for stage2.

CX-Hopeful
30th May 2012, 03:36
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if the maths test is multiple choice for stage 2 ab initio?

google88
30th May 2012, 04:03
Maths test is not a multiple choice, u will have to write down ur answers on a peace of paper, brush up on your 1 in 60, climb gradient, stall speed formulas, part 1 is pretty simple (addition, subtraction, division and multiplication) but part 2 can be tricky.

CX-Hopeful
30th May 2012, 05:00
Google88,
Thanks for your quick reply and additional information =)

AsL402
30th May 2012, 07:36
Google88,

Thanks for the info! Do they provide you the formulas? Just in case if they changed the test, wanna see if i should remember some formulas.

AsL402
30th May 2012, 08:11
By the way...anyone at the Regal Airport Hotel for Stage 2 tomorrow? I just checked in...

Andy98
30th May 2012, 08:31
So they want you to know stall speed formulas even for the ab initio course

AsL402
30th May 2012, 08:51
bond737,

Thanks! Wow, that's crazy, never learned this for my PPLs. They expect people with 0 hours to know this as well? :ooh:

So would this suffice?:

1 in 60
Width of 1 degree (NM) = DME / 60

Climb Gradient
Climb Gradient = Change in Height / Horizontal Distance Traveled
1 NM = 6076 feet

Stall Speed
Level Stall Speed
Vs = Sq. Root (2W / RSCL)
W= Weight
R = Density of Air
CL = Max Coefficient of lift

Banked Stall Speed
Load Factor = 1 / cos (angle of bank)
VsBanked = Sq Root (Load Factor) x VsLevel

VsBanked = VsLevel / Sq Root cos (angle of bank)

lucky86
30th May 2012, 11:00
i have 0 flight hours.

if they expect me to know these formulas, im stuffffed.

Pyromania
30th May 2012, 16:27
Hi AsL402,

How long did it take you to receive an invite to Stage 2 after your Stage 1 interview?

I did mine in Mid-May and I haven't heard anything from them.
Just wanted to know the average wait time before sending them an email.

I know lucky86 waited for about a month as he stated in his earlier post.

Anyone knows about this is more than welcome to let me know! :)

Thanks in advance!

captain.weird
30th May 2012, 19:53
Maybe they have to start another programme, where the non HKID holders have to pay for the flight training but with a guaranteed job with CX .

30th May 2012, 22:15
ocanadaperfect,

after the stage one interview,can you tell me what they asked and how did you prepare for it, cuz im interested in cx cadet program, too. i live in Vancouver,too

thx

captain.weird
31st May 2012, 09:37
No pay 2 fly..

The idea is only for non-HKID holders who whish to fly for CX..

Just paying a part (50-50 deal or so) for your training..

Not paying for the typerating..

Only for the flight training at Adelaide. Not the full price, maybe a 50-50 deal or so..

Got it?

Btw, I've heard that CX can't fill their classes with enough HK Ab Initio's.. Someone who knows more..?

captain.weird
31st May 2012, 10:46
the only thing that I could think of to possibly make it easier would be to reduce the requirements for the advanced course possibly accepting pilots with a CPL but with lower hours than asked in the advanced entry course.

That is already the plan to open the doors more for non-HKID holders.

Btw, I already knew that the HK gvt stopped this.

jamessoong
31st May 2012, 13:19
Stage 2 HK, 13 and 14 June 2012. Anyone else going on this date? I'm from Malaysia by the way.

flywannabe
1st Jun 2012, 00:13
@jamesong

congrats! when did you have your stage 1 ? and how long after did u find out about stage two ?

jamessoong
1st Jun 2012, 03:40
@flywannabe

Applied after i got my licence on 29 Nov 2011.
Stage 1 in Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia on 13 Feb 2012.
Inform regarding stage 2, 25 May 2012.

krisER
4th Jun 2012, 06:59
Hi everyone!
I'm wondering if there's anyone here who got invited to AE Stage 1 on 29 Jun in HK?
PM me if you are please :) and all the best to others who are going to the interview on other dates!! Cheers.

etrang
4th Jun 2012, 08:01
Maybe they have to start another programme, where the non HKID holders have to pay for the flight training but with a guaranteed job with CX .

You should suggest this to Cathay, they may be impresses enough to let you be the first one.

CX-Hopeful
5th Jun 2012, 05:58
Hey guys. Does anyone know if the maths test in stage 2 is a "numerical reasoning test"?

I hope not..

Thanks =)

google88
5th Jun 2012, 07:28
CX- Hopeful the stage 2 maths test is not a multiple choice or numerical reasoning its basic addition, subtraction, division, multiplication ( part 1) and part 2 is all aviation related questions on stall speeds, climb gradient, etc

lucky86
7th Jun 2012, 01:19
lol.
What are you talking about?????

CX-Hopeful
7th Jun 2012, 03:03
Furry friends? I am confused...

Cpt. Underpants
7th Jun 2012, 03:39
For all you hopefuls:

You may be interested to hear that CX has just made it known that it is "accepting applications" for unpaid leave (leave of absence) from all ranks, all fleets, for periods of up to a year.

I think this will definitely impact on the cadet pilot program, making the numbers of recruits a lot smaller and likely putting the whole program on hold. For how long? No idea, but the two year forecast isn't all that rosy.

lucky86
7th Jun 2012, 03:42
Does anyone know how long CX gives you from the letter of offer to the Ab initio course start date??

This is because if I am that lucky to be successful in my 2nd interview, pass medical, pass ICAO and pass flight grading, I have to give 3 months warning for my current employment before they can release me.

Thanks.

orangeboy
7th Jun 2012, 04:37
lucky, that is something you should discuss with CX when you attend stage 2 ;)

My instructor waited about a month from being offered a position to being on the course in Adelaide. That was for AE though.

lucky86
7th Jun 2012, 05:10
thank orangeboy, i aboslutely will! :ok:

Mad-Dog
7th Jun 2012, 13:08
Cpt. Underpants:

What you are alluding to is really an upcoming layoff or furlough of pilots at CX. They are trying to look for volunteers for this “unpaid leave”, and if none or few sign up for it, they will do it the hard way (involuntary). Of course, generally when they look for volunteers such as this, very little if any will volunteer so they end up doing the hard way anyway.
I can say this, from my sources at CX (and these are REALLY high up individuals); CX’s long term goal is to phase out what some of you refer to as the “A scales” and gradually make all pilots receive the same benefits like the iCadets CX is currently recruiting (i.e. no housing allowance). It is really one of their strategies for reducing costs to compete in what has been a very competitive and difficult environment. Overall, these “iCadets” recruitment should continue, it is the highly paid expats that should worry.
By they way, I am not or not trying to become an iCadet, Just a person with insider information.

SloppyJoe
7th Jun 2012, 16:33
Well as someone with sources VERY high up in CX you should try to educate them.

It has been said that JFO upgrades will slow down by the end of the year. By the end of the year the last of the DESO joiners will have upgraded. These are the guys/girls who will not be looking to jump ship ASAP as get paid around about what a skilled expat in HKG should after a few years with a company. This will even further annoy the icadets, who are looking to jump ship as soon as they can as could have a better quality of life back home doing the same job.

As soon as almost every icadet has 3 years as an FO they will have applications in with other carriers at home. Those that don't care about living at home will have applications in with the likes of EK, tax free, housing, 6 years to command. Once these initial icadets leave it will drive up conditions for those on local terms as CX realize that their plan has not worked and the airline will be parking planes due to lack of crew and they need to do something to stem the flood of leavers.

Hong Kong is not a particularly nice place to bring up a family, small flat, bad air, rude people, expensive food for an expat, stupid lists for schools that cost a fortune to get into and are not that good, miles away from family etc etc. Almost everyone has the hope of having a family. On local terms in HKG for someone not from HKG it is not doable.

Yeah the expat package guys need to worry do they. I actually think it is CX who need to worry about the path they are taking. In as little as 3 years they will start to feel the mistakes they are making.

Mad-Dog
7th Jun 2012, 18:05
SloppyJoe,
Your assumption that an icadet will jump ship at any opportunity they get seems to be a valid one as long as they do not like their current environment or they can find a suitable position back home. This not only applies to icadets but to any of the direct entries you are mentioning who has the housing allowance. It has been found that an expat is likely to go back to their home country if they cannot get accustomed to the one they are in, even if very well paid. I would think Cathay has lost DEs with A scale benefits solely because the expat could not become accustomed to life in HKG.

What is really more apparent in this argument is that airlines have no problems finding qualified pilots/candidates period. CX like many other large carriers get some of the most qualified applications from around the world. I can say they will have no problems filling their cadet programs with competent pilots who they can mold for the eventual left seat with reduced pay or benefits. Recently I talked to another high up in a regional here in US. I was told they received thousands of applications for flying regional props . A wide variety of applicants from majors on furlough, pilots with well over 10K hours, military down to fresh graduates from flight schools. This is not uncommon as there are always an abundance of qualified (and competent) pilots who are unemployed. By the by, the prop job is a regional F/O making a whopping $21/hr. I can tell you this, CX will not have a mass exodus of pilots if they got rid of the housing allowance all together today. However, few things will happen, there will be pilots who find something elsewhere and leave CX but this number is not as many as you think due to the current employment trends and morale will hit an all time low. With these consideration, it is why CX will have to slowly take away things and not do it all at the same time. If you think the environment is so great for pilots right now, you don’t have to look so far to see how bad things are getting. SQ as you may know, had asked their pilots for volunteer leave as well just recently, there are multitudes of airlines who are not looking to hire anytime soon due to the uncertainties from the global economic turmoil and the volatile shifts in the price of jet fuel. In writing this, it has dawned on me there are some low cost carriers and other airlines of the likes of Lion Air, Air Asia et al who are actively or will be recruiting, but good luck to get them to pay you even a decent salary.

Cpt. Underpants
7th Jun 2012, 23:36
@Mad Dog

That "they" are desperate to rid themselves of ALL expat perks is no secret and no one needs to be an insider to know this.

Here's the problem: there are MANY of us who have made (by any measure) large sums of money over the past decades, either in astute investing (rare) or property (common).

If there was a massive degradation of CoS (Conditions of Service) MANY would simply leave. It wouldn't be worth it - the pollution, cramped living, expensive education, CoL, draconian work rules, the TSA (my personal favorite), poor rosters, unstable rosters et al.

The reason why CX hasn't simply scrubbed expat allowances is that they are painfully aware of the exodus it would precipitate, on all levels - line drivers, C&T staff, TCs, STCs, managers, everyone. It would, in a word, DECIMATE the airline.

A slow introduction of "local" T&Cs is what has begun, albeit unsuccessfully. Undersubscribed with the "wrong stuff", they have turned to recruiting from areas previously ignored by CX - only to come up dry - again! The response from India, Pakistan and Malaysia was underwhelming.

The few reasonably qualified individuals CX trolled into the icadet scheme are EXPECTED to leave when they can attract interest from other airlines - Emirates, E T I H A D and others, even LCCs. It's already begun amongst some local staff, leaving for HKA and Air Asia, to name two.

Attrition off the icadet scheme is expected to be in the region of 60-70% at the F/O 1000 hour mark.

You want inside information? You just got it.

blade
8th Jun 2012, 00:12
Seniority,anyone leaving after 6 years for an airline with 6 years to command may as well stay at CX with 12 to command..personally i think few will leave...better the devil you know!!

Cpt. Underpants
8th Jun 2012, 04:27
I really don't believe that it's possible that a new joiner now will be looking at a command in 12 years.

Our training system can't handle the three upgrades to get the zeros to heroes.

We won't have that many aircraft.

We're headed for the mother of all recessions. Depression, actually.

We will go for DEFO recruitment before too long.

Etc etc

14 - 16 years more likely

speed168
13th Jun 2012, 10:15
Hi all

Can anyone give me an example of the below in us.
Thanks

Speed

Climb Gradient
Climb Gradient = Change in Height / Horizontal Distance Traveled
1 NM = 6076 feet

Stall Speed
Level Stall Speed
Vs = Sq. Root (2W / RSCL)
W= Weight
R = Density of Air
CL = Max Coefficient of lift

Banked Stall Speed
Load Factor = 1 / cos (angle of bank)
VsBanked = Sq Root (Load Factor) x VsLevel

VsBanked = VsLevel / Sq Root cos (angle of bank)

eittam
13th Jun 2012, 12:36
I am a local HK applicant. I got my first stage finished yesterday (in hk) and they invited me for ICAO in early July today.

Firstly, I want to know if it means I have passed first stage, i.e.
a) only my ICAO result will affect my chance to proceed to stage 2; or
b) they will consider both my first stage and ICAO.

I also want to know if all HK stage 1 candidates are entitled to have ICAO test, or they have shortlisted some of them.

Finally, I was told that "The assessment takes about 30 minutes. The English instructor will conduct an English conversational test with you." Is it only part of the test? Because I saw from ur previous threads that it was more akin to a listening test. Did it only involve British accent in the previous listening tests?

Thanks heaps!!!

pstythe
13th Jun 2012, 15:44
Hi guys

I've been trawling through this thread and would really appreciate it if someone in the know (perhaps a senior pilot) could condense some information to help both myself and (hopefully) other inexperienced Cathay 'wannabes'.

I'll be graduating from a top-10 UK university in July with (I hope!) a 2.1 in Biology. I've long wanted to become a commercial pilot but unfortunately there does not seem to be one complete, simple and financially sensible way of doing this as a school/uni leaver. Had there been then I would have chosen this option upon leaving school. Needless to say I chose and was advised to study a science degree at a decent university in order to place myself in the best situation at this point in time. As such I leave reasonably well-qualified (science As at A-level and a science degree) but with little flying experience (the RAF uni air squadron wouldn't have me on asthma grounds, although I had run the marathon in under 4-hours :mad: I joined the army equivalent instead! Lots of exercise :ok:).

Neither I, nor my family can afford to pay flight training fees (PPL or more advanced) especially when there is no guarantee of subsequent employment. I've looked at programmes like CTC or the BA future pilot scheme yet they seem to require a guaranteed loan and I don't want my parents to mortgage their home! If a successful airline can see the potential in you as an employee, brand ambassador and pilot (i.e. you pass competitive selection), they should surely take the leap and pay for your training (as so many other firms would)... :confused:

So to get to the point: I found the Cathay cadet scheme and was pleased to see that they offer training to complete raw (in terms of flying) recruits from all over the world. I have completed and sent the application (lots of mumbo jumbo about my experiences, why I'd be a truly incredible pilot etc. etc.) and am awaiting some sort of response... Having waited a couple of weeks with no mention of even a date to expect an initial response, I emailed again and have heard nothing (starting to doubt my wish to work for this company...).

So I suppose I have 2 questions (each one containing more :O):

a) What are my chances of passing selection (I should add here that although I studied Biology, I know a fair bit about aircraft, navigation and the industry in general, far more than the average person, I am also fit and can drive: coordinated)? Are they looking for people with multiple hours and licences? Will I be subjected to different requirements due to my British nationality? How interested are they really in your 'personality'?

b) When can I expect to hear something? Or can anyone email me a number I can ring to vent my frustration? Is UK selection constantly happening or is there a specific date I can be pointed towards?

Finally, I guess that I should put that although 'pilot' has always stood at the top of my careers list as an ambition of mine, I am also a realist and will not be a slave to any scheme, company, pay package or training school. Many posters seem to be extremely negative about the entire selection, training and career experience and I have to say I find this a bit worrying. I understand that no job is without its faults but query the strength of this negativity? Do schemes take advantage of 'keenos? How does one best set themselves up for a career in the airline industry without the RAF/complete self-funding?

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Phil

SloppyJoe
13th Jun 2012, 17:20
As far as I can tell you have no experience as a pilot and are a British citizen. Unfortunately unless you hold a permanent Hong Kong ID card you are not able to apply for the CX cadet scheme. They may never respond to your emails as you do not meet the requirements. If you had a CPL/IR you could then apply as a non HKID card holder as you have experience that can not be found locally.

FlyingNewB
14th Jun 2012, 03:18
Hi all,

Definitely a newbie to the aviation industry and wanted some advice on applying for the Cathay's Cadet Pilot Program in HK.

A little background about myself: finished university overseas and graduated with honors in business, worked with a Fortune 500 company in Canada (didn't enjoy it) and came back to Hong Kong.

I was always interested in the aviation industry at a young age, but during that time, the best decision was to take a business degree. Nevertheless, after reviewing the criteria to join as a cadet with Cathay without flying experience, I'm definitely sparked to apply and wanted to seek guidance from fellow forum members on how to best position myself?

I have no flying experience nor a whole deal of knowledge, but I do have determination, motivation and the intellectual capacity to read up and get myself acquainted.

So, would it be possible to list some action items that I should read up on or do before I apply for the program? Any tips on how to best position myself? I'm definitely in the dark and would appreciate any guidance towards the right direction. :)

lucky86
14th Jun 2012, 06:37
My advice, read this forum.

ixg888
14th Jun 2012, 18:11
I understand your predicament. But biology, has got nothing to do woth flying. I got a degree in political science and definitely a wasted 4 years of my life as i sacrficed another 2 years to get a cpl and ir.

My suggestion thread the needle get a job fly then work.

Cpt. Underpants
14th Jun 2012, 22:27
I have news for you...

A former DFO (director, Flight Operations) at CX had, as his primary university qualification, a degree in...

Zoology.

Actually, he's still a director, just not in flight ops.

lucky86
14th Jun 2012, 22:57
Hey all,

Does anyone know the Ab initio flight grading process?
2 weeks?
Content?
Fail rate?

THanks in advance.

MrBurberry
14th Jun 2012, 23:34
Did they halt hiring at CX??

tchiu2003
15th Jun 2012, 02:42
Hi Lucky86

Ab-Initio flight grading is a week long. They've recently changed the grading process from the original two weeks to just a week.

There are three types of flight grading, which are basic, intermediate and advanced. Your placement in the respective grading levels depends on your previous flying experience. (<10 Basic, 10-30hrs Intermediate, 30+ Advanced).

I personally did advanced grading, so I can let you know that my grading process includes basic aircraft maneuvers, circuits (normal/glide), 3 sessions in a KingAir sim where Point-to-point Navigation exercises/ILS approaches will be examined. In addition to the flying, all candidates are also required to take an aptitude test.

I'm not 100% certain on the passing rate to be honest. But I do believe they send around 50-60 candidates that have passed stage 2 down to Adelaide for flight grading. Each CP course caps at 18 cadets. You can do the maths! But as I said, I'm not sure exactly how many they send down for FG as it is conducted in batches. (ie CPXXBatchX)

You should note that the selection process of the Cadet Pilot Program is non competitive, which means that given you meet the CX standards, you'll be offered a place in the program.

Gdluck :)

Kristoff
15th Jun 2012, 11:24
When did you submit your application ?

lucky86
15th Jun 2012, 13:56
Thats excellent, thank you very much for your extensive response!

Anyone did a flight grade on practially 0 flying experience recently?

Will you be able to tell us what the apitutde test involves?

Clish
15th Jun 2012, 14:33
I'm not 100% certain on the passing rate to be honest. But I do believe they send around 50-60 candidates that have passed stage 2 down to Adelaide for flight grading. Each CP course caps at 18 cadets. You can do the maths! But as I said, I'm not sure exactly how many they send down for FG as it is conducted in batches. (ie CPXXBatchX)

You should note that the selection process of the Cadet Pilot Program is non competitive, which means that given you meet the CX standards, you'll be offered a place in the program. unless they have an ultra high standard that destroys 2/3 of the candidates... i don't see how 60 ppl and 18 spots can be non competitive. ...

lucky86
15th Jun 2012, 14:45
I guess a follow up Question is how many people u went flight grading with actually got offered a fta position?

Possible of re flight grade after a period of time if failed ? Or see ya later and thats it?

Pyromania
15th Jun 2012, 15:42
Hi lucky86,

Sounds like you have passed Stage 2 :)

May I ask how was the Math Test like?
I heard they have changed it recently but cannot confirm. (Before was more simple mathematics with data interpretation, and now it's geared towards actual aviation questions)
I am having mine in a few weeks and hope you can shed some light on this.

And how was the tech interview?
Did you encounter any type specific questions?

Thank you in advance!