PDA

View Full Version : Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

November4
8th Dec 2015, 19:45
14 Feb 1991 - Air war still going on, ground war not started so not the recovery phase Smudge

zetec2
8th Dec 2015, 19:49
Good one Sycamore !, most of your Wessex were held together by speed tape, PH.

smujsmith
8th Dec 2015, 20:02
November 4,

Thanks for that, it was a long time ago and I'm sure that was taken by one of our accompanying line tradesmen when we were sent to operate from Bahrain when the Riyadh detachment returned to Lyneham. I believe we had 4 crews, each with its own allocated GE and 3 Aircraft with around 20 Line tradesmen to support the detachment. I was allocated to Flt Lt John Woods 30 Sqdn crew ? Probably much to his dismay, but to my delight. As fine a bunch as anyone could hope for. It was taken with my camera, so the date stamp might be inaccurate (I can't ever remember setting it), or as you suggest, it might have been taken in Riyadh earlier on !

Just looking at my records ;

DATE From/To DAYS Away SQDN. HOURS FLOWN TASK

4-Feb-91 26-Feb-91 23 Various. 85.25 Op Granby Riyadh
31-Mar-91 - 3-May-91 34 30 Sqd 129.05 Op Granby Bahrain

That would tie up with the photograph being taken at Riyadh.

Smudge :ok:

ancientaviator62
9th Dec 2015, 06:47
Smudge,
I have previously posted a copy of my Op Order and it says six crews, six GEs plus two MSS teams erc.
Put myself on John Wood's last Hercules trip to Dijon and back. Then had a slight altercation with the then OC 30 as to why this had not been suitably celebrated by the squadron.

smujsmith
9th Dec 2015, 11:39
AA62,

I would certainly not argue with your records, both my memory and my own records are sparse. It was certainly heavy going as ISTR we flew 3 days out of 4, usually a round robin of the Gulf Bases. Captain Wood was certainly a great pleasure to work for and I consider myself lucky to have been constituted with his crew. Happy days.

Dougie M
10th Dec 2015, 13:39
During GW1 my crew was lucky enough to have the assistance of a GE more noted for his gruff demeanour. That is until we were detained by the religious police (muttawa} en route to a party in Riyadh with several evian bottles of "water" in a cold box with appropriate mixers. When challenged to open the box S***e M***e leapt to the fore, literally. "Why do you doubt our word?" he demanded. "We are guests in your country and you disrespect our military assistance". "But" said the bearded one. "Do you wish to search our pockets...our bodies!" ranted S***e and unzipped his fly. The muttawa fled. He smiled a lot more after that. Especially after a few "London waters". Great bloke

DeanoP
10th Dec 2015, 16:42
4 smoky Allisons 'turning and burning'. Low Level Xctry East Coast Malaysia 1971

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1325/scan_4_427f94f6c6c4d7261149fc90f11f39610f524283.jpeg

November4
10th Dec 2015, 16:47
DATE From/To DAYS Away SQDN. HOURS FLOWN TASK

4-Feb-91 26-Feb-91 23 Various. 85.25 Op Granby Riyadh
31-Mar-91 - 3-May-91 34 30 Sqd 129.05 Op Granby Bahrain

You were there while I was in Riyadh then Smudge, I arrived 5 Jan and left 25 March

DeanoP
10th Dec 2015, 16:51
aeroid

Ref Posts Nos: 3977 & 3979

Managed to download a few memory cells and I think the navigator was one Roger Howe. He was a tall chap who did not need to use the astro stool when using the periscopic sextant.
With Paddy Quaid we have nearly got the complete crew, if I am right.

Dougie M
11th Dec 2015, 13:32
Rog Howe, when asked his height, used to answer " Five feet twenty inches" He reckoned it was easier to understand. When he was on a comms squadron (Doves, I think) he was the Nav, and the payload.

R4H
11th Dec 2015, 13:47
Greenwood Nova Scotia. Very tall but thin lad asked him how tall he was and he answered 6 foot 12. Lad went away happy then figured it out.

smujsmith
11th Dec 2015, 19:53
Dougie M #4006,

Epic, SM was one of my course of GEs in 88. I met him recently at Jim Hunters bash, he has returned to dour. But it was all explained when he said he had moved back home to Wales :eek: it explains it all.

Nov 4, we must have shared an Evian or two then mate :rolleyes:

condor17
13th Dec 2015, 11:50
Gents , thanks for your BBC like commitment of informing , educating and entertaining us civilians , concerning the Herculean world throughout 2015 .

Harking back awhile , we saw The Green Barrows as late as 1997 -98 .
DeanoP , thanks you for some more super shots . Particularly the S. Sandwich series , where as Postman Pat you truly were going through the letterbox in some of those shots .
Now we’ve had some interesting North – South maximum latitude tales ; but may I put forward DeanoP for the highest low level record , probably activating any self respecting GPWS through the Everest coll . Are there any tales of the lowest low level [ perhaps along the Dead Sea ] ?
2nd shot of the Far East sequence woke me up .
‘’ Wot’s this ? A shot of the Secret Shackleton Biplane , nay Sesquiplane ‘’ …. Following an eng prob …
‘’ Flt Eng shut down No.3 please ‘’
‘’ Wilco , No.3 , Er , No.3 Top or Bottom Guys ‘’ ?

Rgds condor ,

Dougie M
13th Dec 2015, 13:25
This is a "DZ inspection" near Calipatria California. "Calipat" is 180 feet below sea level so if the aircraft is 30 ft AGL we are still 150 ft below sea level.
Calipatria has the highest flagpole in the U.S. so that the flag is flown above sea level.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/36dfab6b-41ba-455e-8446-0fe5f53a8e06_zps9jo3uumk.jpg

aeroid
13th Dec 2015, 15:27
DeanoP Can't recall any of the crew, it was just the Name George Bain that caught my eye. He was my Teech when I first joined the Transport Command Global Pub Crawl on Hastings in '65. Will we see you at the 48 bash in April?

CoffmanStarter
13th Dec 2015, 16:03
This is a wonderful additional dimension to RAF Alberts service exploits ... Not forgetting his gallant crews who took him to these wild, exotic and 'low' places :ok:

Standing by for the 'highest' 'lowest' claim from Al's Gentlemen ... or any lower than Doug's 150' BSL ;)

Death Valley anyone 282' BSL or the Dead Sea 1,371' BSL ?

PS. Doug's flagpole reference ...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/CalipatriaPlaque.jpg

Image Credit : Wikipedia

13th Dec 2015, 18:53
In true "twitcher" style I am very pleased to report that I bumped into John at Sainsburys Bridgemead Swindon on Thurs 10 Dec. He looks no different from when I last saw him at Hullavington in '93. Had a great chat and told him that he had followers here. Afraid he's not into the net. A great shame. He must have a host of stories if you could press the right button after a few Harvey Wallbangers. I remember him as the arch dispenser, from a galley flask in a room party, but frugal consumer! When did they go out of favour/flavour with the fleet? Was it the switch to N/S Atlantic, instead of E/W, in '82?

smujsmith
13th Dec 2015, 19:03

Oh my goodness, Harvey Wallbanger ? Was it not the "electric orange" that was the tipple of choice from a well iced galley flask ? Perhaps the same beasty. Looks like you and I shop in the same place though, perhaps we might compare notes one day. I'm sure John Stapp would find a warm welcome on this thread.

Dougie M
15th Dec 2015, 14:13
Through our contacts with the British School in Addis Ababa whilst on Det. an invitation to participate in an evening of Scottish country dancing was received by our crew. The Flt Eng who always said that we were twins because we had the same first name (allegedly only our mothers could tell the difference between us), decided that it would only be courteous to bring some liquid contribution to the "Jockanese country dancin'" as he put it. Armed with a flask of electric orange and another of 321 we arrived at the private home of one of the teachers. It was warm in Addis and the iced refreshment slipped down during the long direction of the dance steps.
I recall it was in the strathspey reel that the first teacher spun out of control into the coffee table and shortly after in "Postie's Jig that the main clusterf*ck occurred in the middle of the room. The crew stood by sipping beers as the cultural event subsided into hysterical shambles.
D****e J*****n the Eng lit a tab and declared that he always enjoyed a good punch up. It reminded him of Saturday nights in Sunderland. We weren't invited back.

R4H
15th Dec 2015, 14:42
Now there's a blast from the past. Still make it once in a blue moon. Looks like punch, tastes innocuous then just takes your legs away.

Electric orange - Thule - there a week with a broken window, last night invited to a private bar in one of the blocks. We took electric orange but ran out of orange and still had vodka and Galliano so made a flask with grape juice - horrible, but after 3 flasks of electric orange nobody cared. On departure ATC's last message to us was "Thank God you guys are going home".

Dan Gerous
15th Dec 2015, 20:15
Dougie M, re your Imperial Valley pic, does the altimeter register height below sea level? I wasn't an aircraft trade and only flew on Hercs as pax.

smujsmith
15th Dec 2015, 23:05
Dan, can we be sure that the Altimeter actually registered with Doug M ? He was, after all, directional rather than vertically involved. Mind you, an electric orange and who knows ?:eek: Worry not, I was an aircraft trade, and also flew as SLF (occasionally) maybe mostly. Never be afraid to ask a question on this thread, most will always respond with a knowledgeable reply, I'm sorry for my flippancy.

I can confirm that the altimeter does register negative figures. A beat up of a sub at Diego Garcia involved a call from the ATC local confirming that our Mode C was giving a -10 ft readout. I will say no more, I've already been bollocked for that story !!!!!!!!

Smudge

Dougie M
16th Dec 2015, 08:58
Dan.
Both pilots altimeters were set to the El Centro pressure (-40ft) before departure to 12,000ft drop height and on the run in for the DZ inspection they both read below sea level. The Radar Altimeter however, gave the height above the ground level.

R4. The most spectacular 321 ever, was concocted by the loadie, M***s when we were entertained in the dwelling of the 3rd secretary of the British High Commission in Dakar after M***s lost his passport. Help yourself to the cocktail cabinet said the 3rd secretary. The 321 was divine. "What 's different with this" we said. "Well I found the Southern Comfort and the Dry Ginger but there's no fizzy Lambrusco so I used Chateau La Fite and Roederers Crystal.
Worked for me.

DeanoP
16th Dec 2015, 11:09
Whilst serving with 48Sqn Changi we had an East African jolly, oops, I mean Trainer. The schedule took us to Gan, Mombasa, Nairobi, Mauritius, Majunga and back to Gan and Changi.
Upon arrival at Mauritius,for a night stop, we received a signal that all Alberts were grounded until the bolts (or pins) securing the flight deck escape hatch were replaced with new bolts of a certain specification. Great we thought that will take a day or two to get replacements to us and loads of time to enjoy the delights of Mauritius. Wrong! our captain, one Pete Burrage, said ' there's a RN dockyard here. I'll give them a ring and see if the have the required spec steel and ask them to turn a bolt or two for us'. Sure enough they had, they were fitted, and we were away on schedule the next day. Pete is a real gentleman and a very good pilot but it was frustrating.

gopher01
16th Dec 2015, 12:18
Does anybody have one of the Albert of Arabia T shirts that were around during the GW1. I saw one of the guys wearing one while operating out of Rhiyadh, I believe that a guy downtown used to print them but never managed to obtain one. Albert was depicted with an arab headdress on whilst in full flight.

Dan Gerous
16th Dec 2015, 18:57
Thanks for the replies to my altimeter question. As I said I was only ever pax on the Herc except for an AAR jolly in the Falklands. Always enjoyed my flights on them as you knew you were flying. My first flight on the mighty Albert was in Dec 77, when the RAF used to organise a seasonal turkey tour to move folk around the country who were going on leave for Xmas. Lossie to Leuchars 40 mins and a landing that was less of a touchdown, more of a throw it on the deck. It would have been quicker to get the train and bus home on leave, but I couldn't resist the chance of a flight. Managed some time on the Omani and Saudi fleets also.

Really enjoying reading this thread, and hope there are loads more stories waiting to be told.

Hatchet 130
16th Dec 2015, 20:56
What-ho chaps,

Have been lurking on this thread for a while now but haven't posted yet as haven't dug my "K" pics ('89-'01) out of the cellar yet.

However, I found this on youtube, no apologies if it's been posted before as always worth a refresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SK3YV5E1ZQ

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SK3YV5E1ZQ)
I was No 4 and proud to be part of the tribute to Steady and his crew.
However, as with most Albert stories there is a tale behind the scenes.

In the finest traditions of the Service, there was a last minute change when someone came up with the idea of swapping round the formation positions so that it was a 47 Sqn "K" doing the missing man, and quite right too.

Re-brief on the crew coach and teach myself a new formation position during the transit and hold!

Happy with the finger four now and then my formation references pulled up!

Still, I think we got away with it and a lot of "dust in the air" on the ground apparently.

RIP fellas.

R4H
16th Dec 2015, 23:55
I had the privilege of flying the flypast for all of the funerals bar one where two funerals clashed. Realised that lots of guys would want to attend on the day and that it would be easier for co-ord on the station and external agencies if everything went through one unit and crew I volunteered us, OEU, to sort it all out. Support at Lye and from ATC agencies on each day was excellent.

On the downside there was a real case of sloping shoulders in the planning. Gp rules were quite specific as to min heights, authorisation etc. I did ground recces of most sites and found run-ins that would work while avoiding local hospitals etc while being ideal on positioning. Drew up maps, briefing points and notes on each run-in and submitted them to Wg Cdr Ops for Stn Cdr approval. Wg Cdr didn't do anything with it all but eventually told me that I should auth all sorties simply as a training sortie that happened to be in the area at the time! Basically any crap hitting the proverbial fan would stop with me. I duly authed each trip as being iaw all maps and briefings submitted to Wg Cdr Ops.

CoffmanStarter
17th Dec 2015, 04:53
Welcome to the thread Hatchet :ok:

Give me a shout if you need any help posting pics ... Very happy to assist :)

smujsmith
17th Dec 2015, 13:20
Seasons greetings all, sorry if it's a bit early, lots to do !!

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/73d1362169fd9ff8e5252d1a87b0e437_zpsmq7dbafp.jpg

Thanks to all for some interesting and entertaining posts this year, any more snowy Albert cards ?

Dougie M
17th Dec 2015, 14:33
It's not very Christmassy in Wiltshire where the lawn is growing again. Here's a snowier scene from Ex Frozen Star in Goose Bay, when it took so long to drive the cherry picker up for the photo we were nearly all snowmen ourselves.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/e0ec1a92-e9ba-46f5-bbb6-33d462664ff3_zpslfrq1xqv.jpg

ksimboy
17th Dec 2015, 14:50
Happy memories of that photo Dougie. If I remember correctly Le* Pu**is and I remained in the Ops room watching the fun unfold on the CCTV cameras.

chickenlover
17th Dec 2015, 20:45
Summer in Port Stanley :)
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/Fryboy47/img075_zps47255e54.jpg

Winter Deployment in Norway

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/Fryboy47/img470_zps6ce050d2.jpg

GlobalNav
17th Dec 2015, 21:57
The Port Stanley pic seems to be of the same Herc' (#205) pictured in Smuj's Christmas pic.

smujsmith
18th Dec 2015, 18:34
Globalnav, it certainly is.

Doug and Chickenlover, great Christmassy shots both. Weren't we lucky to do such deployments. Doug, get yourself an artificial lawn, retire the mower and enjoy the results.

Ksimboy, ahh, what at an easy life the loadies had.

Keep the winter theme going chaps, I'm sure a snap of the approach to Christmas Island might work too :eek:

Meanwhile, a proper Christmas scene ;

Snowbound at Lyneham
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/67c75842834bd426b365ecd419953652_zps79ea1e0a.jpg
Credit Patricia Forrest and RAFBF, contributions always welcome.

Lyneham Lad
18th Dec 2015, 19:00
Nothing to do with Crimble or cold-climes...
A distant view of two of the mighty beasts of 34 Sqn that provided FEAF's heavy lift prior to the arrival of 48 Sqn. Taken early '66 with a little Olympus half-frame jobbie. One can almost hear the roar of those mighty Centaurii ;)
And now back to your regular programme.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/Lyneham_Lad/Aircraft/34SqnSeletar-2_zps4pl9knyt.jpg

GlobalNav
18th Dec 2015, 19:00
I might be a week early, but as a former airlifter myself (C-141) I know most of you have spent many a Christmas (and other holidays) away from the home fires and family comfort. Hopefully those days are past and now you can enjoy this Christmas in a very merry fashion.

Cheers

Dougie M
18th Dec 2015, 19:41
Unlamented Christmas Past .

It could be relied upon that this time of year, somewhere in the entrails of the Upper Echelons of power there lurked a Grinch type staff officer who would order a repeat of "Operation Deny Christmas" on some vague precept. The phones would ring in little family homes around Wiltshire and Ascoteers would launch a slip pattern to somewhere obscure, or Akrotiri, to await orders to proceed to a perceived threat area. After a few days of inactivity there was usually a general recall and the slip crews returned to Braise on a VC10. At this stage the fog would roll in over southern England and Alberts would be scattered around the country.
To those of us now retired it is but a bad memory but in this season of good cheer there remains a fervent hope that even now the Grinch bloke suffers from inoperable piles.

smujsmith
18th Dec 2015, 21:38
Oh Doug, you are a wag :D

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/image_zpsd4b913f3.jpg

No apologies 205 and a winter deployment yet again. Ash previoushly reported Merry Chrishsmas !!!! Oh dear, a flip of the lip !!!

DeanoP
18th Dec 2015, 21:57
To quote Dougie M: 'After a few days of inactivity there was usually a general recall and the slip crews returned'

Not a Christmas callout but towards the end of May 1978. The battle of Kolwezi (SE Zaire)was taking place and several Alberts were sent to Lusaka to evacuate nationals from Kolwezi.

Sat there for 6 days unused, hence the cartoon, the French did the business and we flew back. Anti-climax but not an over reaction by the planners. We could have been required.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1212/scan_2_da95d87f4c553b719454c907350841c7e4400b32.jpeg

ICM
18th Dec 2015, 22:40
Doug: In the early/mid-70s, a Herc was usually stationed at Gan over Christmas, very much in the hope that, if needed, it could move east or west without a big alert back at Lyneham. And very handy it proved when Darwin was virtually wiped out by a cyclone on Christmas Eve 1974.

Dougie M
19th Dec 2015, 14:51
Never did see a planner on a Christmas call out. Maybe it's just me. Have a good one!

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/5bad43b9-f029-4d15-a071-ee07e2a1b368_zps0tx9hzxg.jpg

ksimboy
19th Dec 2015, 17:13
Would that be Santa indulging in a little SKE Sunday? Sorry. Retrieving hat and coat now !!!

smujsmith
19th Dec 2015, 22:25
Dougie, what a smashing Christmas card. The very best of seasons greetings to you and your nearest and dearest. As to all our fellow posters.

aeroid
23rd Dec 2015, 15:27
Post 4041. Rumour had it that the typhoon did over £250 million of improvements to the place.

Dougie M
23rd Dec 2015, 19:23
I don't think that one brave little Herc from Gan would have made much impact on such devastation. I went back to Darwin in the late 70s and it was nearly completely rebuilt. They still had Tooheys beer which was a set back.

November4
23rd Dec 2015, 22:00
The locations may not be as exotic as some of the photos taken in flight from Hercs but...

http://i64.tinypic.com/2zzntxh.jpg
Over Bath

http://i64.tinypic.com/311m7ms.jpg
Chippenham

http://i66.tinypic.com/15fhhjq.jpg
and The Severn Bridge

While on XV209, the local flyer for the MAMS Families Day 22/8/99

smujsmith
23rd Dec 2015, 22:50
Dougie,

I have this in my records ;

ASCOT4502 8-Oct-94 20-Oct-94 70 Sqd 82.4 hrs XV 210 Sidney/Darwin etc

You certainly Navigated on that trip. I seem to recall a stop at Darwin southbound, and a delay at Darwin northbound when our lady Flt Eng came down with a viral infection, or some such. I do remember a golf match at Darwin during our day off. Good trip that one. Perhaps etc might have raised a few highlights too.

November 4, ahh, many happy views from families day flying there sir, thanks.

CoffmanStarter
24th Dec 2015, 11:32
Hi ...

I just wanted to wish all those who have contributed to our RAF Albert Thread this year a Happy Christmas and New Year. I'm hopeful that a few of our newcomers who have requested help with pic posting will find a bit of spare time to hunt through their lofts, cellars, sheds or garages to unearth a few more joys to share with us all :ok:

Best wishes ...

Coff.

WE992
24th Dec 2015, 17:40
Smudge - Did you pick a hovercraft at Diego Garcia on the return from Sidney?

ancientaviator62
25th Dec 2015, 00:08
Coff and fellow posters
as I sit here in Perth WA in glorious sunshine I am still surprised at how well this Hercules thread has developed since Coffman's first post. IMHO it is second only to the incomparable 'Gaining a Pilot's Brevet in WW 2'.By the time you read this we will have eaten our our Xmas lunch and you will be looking forward to yours. So a merry Xmas to you all and a peaceful new year.

sycamore
25th Dec 2015, 09:56
AA62,hope your lunch was `served` in a little white box....just for `ol times sake`....,!

DCThumb
25th Dec 2015, 15:10
Merry Christmas to all old friends and colleagues! As I sit here away from home, in a job that is close as you could ever get to the 'good old days' at Lyneham, I reflect on the fabulous people that made it such a unique experience - I miss you all and wish you the very best for the coming year! DCT - XXIV and 30, 91-2001

ancientaviator62
25th Dec 2015, 23:13
AA62,hope your lunch was `served` in a little white box....just for `ol times sake`....,!
Not a little white box but a large white plate full of lobster prawns etc. Very nice indeed !

smujsmith
26th Dec 2015, 19:30
AA62, hope you enjoyed that platter, it sounds pretty damn good. Sycamore's post reminded me of a trip I did when, accompanying myself in the "boot" of Albert, were not only some "erberts" but indeed the regimental Colonel. I asked the loadie if I could take my hot meal on the bottom bunk, so as not to offend, to which I was told that if I wanted to swap my ACC with a "member" of the boarded passengers, he would indeed be invited to the flight deck, to enjoy his curry in peace. (No doubt, I was expected to "golly" to said Colonel). I swapped with a purple bereted young fellow with no discernible rank, and no front teeth. I enjoyed his butty box, he loved the curry, our front end weren't so gushing in their appreciation. Hope all is going well down south and you get more of that lobster.

ancientaviator62
27th Dec 2015, 00:55
Smudge,
I did indeed enjoy the sea food platter and the very nice WA white wine that accompanied it. But I do not eat large portions to the despair of my wife who loves cooking. I cashed up a non performing savings account to travel out here Business Class with Singapore Airlines with a stopover in Singapore.
The excellent Cabin Crew were very disappointed that their attempts to force feed me failed !
When on the 'K' I would go round the world on an AH box.

fergineer
27th Dec 2015, 02:14
Better lock up my lumpy box, you are only a short hop over the ditch AA

Dougie M
27th Dec 2015, 19:07
AA 62 Bon Appetit.

After a spell in Belize with "Love and Kisses" Rudy was cajoled into producing his famed seafood meals for the crew. Lobster thermidors, prawn salads etc. Following a bit of a kerfuffle with offered freight we finally launched for Homestead AFB. Top of climb we all clamoured for the best seafood in the Caribbean, to be told by the young Sgt Loadie that the meals had gone time expired so he had scraped them all into the bin.
Incredulous silence reigned till well past Cozumel. Dark thoughts were suppressed due to the correct action being taken, albeit just outside the four hours IIRC.
On landing it was decided that the Loadie would accompany the food waste bag because of the incandescent food and agriculture officials attitude to imported sea food. The rest of us had a meal on the imprest due to inflight meals destroyed. The Loadie was reinstated after the fifth round of margaritas.
I would still have preferred Rudy's Lobster Thermidor.
Happy 2016 All

Alison Conway
27th Dec 2015, 23:36
Dougie,

Talking of kerfuffles and Rudy's excellent food I remember checking a chap to Belize, and it transpired that Lyneham's bean-counters had told the Loadies that under no circumstances were the crew to order lobster thermidor as it was considered a VIP meal. It was pointed out to them that it was the same price as a steak which was OK to order. It doesn't matter said they - lobster thermidor was a VIP meal and that was that. Disgruntled, a conversation was struck up with Rudy who was as perplexed as us about the status of said meal. Rudy had a little think about it and said was it OK to order omelettes. We said yes, but who ever ordered omelettes out of Belize. He said we should all order omelettes whilst he worked on the menu. Long story short - seafood omelettes became the norm. They looked very much like a certain VIP meal which was verboten.

On a different trip there, we were a little rushed to get out before expected weather. The loadie reported rations on board apart from a tray of sandwiches (which were normally alternative breakfast anyway). The captain made the decision that we could not wait and the skies were getting dark. Rudy's man was very put out and said that Mr Rudy would be very upset. Off we went anyway, to be held short of the runway. we could see no traffic and Taco were not expected, so we asked how long we were to be held as the weather was now very close. The loadie reported a tapping at the crew entrance and was there a seat belt trapped outside. I said we were unpressurised and to check. When he opened the door there was Rudy's man with the sandwiches and the Tower said we were now cleared to take off! Rudy had a great deal of power.

November4
29th Dec 2015, 21:09
A couple of XV ̶2̶0̶2̶ 292 at the Lockheed plant in Dec 91 for the 25th Anniversary of the Hercuels being in service.

http://i68.tinypic.com/spgoj7.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/28jz440.jpg

Photos from the RAF MAMS Association website and magazine

smujsmith
30th Dec 2015, 18:53
November4,

292 I think, and nice to see the GE did his job after the group welcome photograph. Thanks for the memory though, ISTR doing a Deci Schedule in 292 in that finish sometime around 91/2

November4
30th Dec 2015, 20:08
November4,

292 I think, and nice to see the GE did his job after the group welcome photograph. Thanks for the memory though, ISTR doing a Deci Schedule in 292 in that finish sometime around 91/2

Smudge I think you're correct....I need to get my glasses checked.

smujsmith
1st Jan 2016, 19:12
November4,

Damn right mate, whoever the GE was he should have sorted the props out, before the group shot. Anyone know if they had a GE ? If it was the Eng, he would have been more interested in having his photograph taken :eek:

Happy New Year to all fellow posters, before Fergineer has me banned :ouch:

MPN11
1st Jan 2016, 19:17
Never worked with the Herc Force [except briefly at Stanley in 83], but may I say 'Thank You" for some great insights into that world? I have loved reading this Thread, and even understood a bit of it!

And a Happy and Safe 2016 to y'all :ok:

WIDN62
1st Jan 2016, 19:34
With regard to lining up the props, didn't ALSS and BLSS line them up differently - one line as XXXX and the other line with ++++?
Maybe as the photo is of a crew on a jolly they had 2 GEs to help them cope and they displayed their former allegiances!

smujsmith
2nd Jan 2016, 19:26
WIDN62,

I believe sir, you have it absolutely correct. In days of yore, OC BLSS and OC ALSS decided to differentiate between their two organisations by one goin XXXX the other ++++ (I think ALSS was the latter). Arguments were had that it aided our aircrew in identifying at least the line the aircraft belonged to (no credence given as to their ability to read the aircraft number:eek:) All went well until a new OC Eng arrived, looked out of his window and complained of the "muddled mess" he could see on His flight line. Both OC Squadrons were summoned, the outcome being decided on the toss of a coin, which OC ALSS won, hence the ++++.

From a tecky point of view, it does go a bit further than that. I was always told that the No1 blade (the one with the yellow spot on it) was mechanically linked (via the Beta feed back shaft) and, if placed in the 6 o clock position, with a leaking shaft seal, could empty your prop hydraulic contents whilst parked overnight. It's also obvious that the ++++ arrangement had the bonus of offering some protection to the intake, and FOD entry. Well, lots to consider there chaps, I'm with MPN11, this thread has given some great insight into Albert in the RAF, thanks to all who have posted some great stuff for the past year, happy new year to all and let's get some more for 2016.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/image_zps95fdf6ae.jpg
Not quite perfect, but one I put to bed personally.

WE992
3rd Jan 2016, 21:11
I guess that photo of 200 was taken at Ancona. Pallet after Pallet of flour! A great det staying in the Palace hotel in Senegalia.

gopher01
4th Jan 2016, 11:42
Smuj,

There was a G.E., I did the props and the group photo was just before going up for the air to air photo sortie with a B25 Mitchell as I mentioned some time ago in this thread. the jolly included going to Denver to pick up some Marines who flew back with us on a rather crowded frame!

smujsmith
5th Jan 2016, 18:53
Gopher 01,

All understood then young fella :eek: Obviously props turned as required during the B/F. Thanks for resolving that, why did I never get good trips like that :rolleyes: best for the coming year M8.

WE 992,

Spot on Sir on the photograph. Many a happy night spent in that hotel. Bushy bushy steak nights were a must. Say no more.

Dougie M
6th Jan 2016, 14:31
The other end of the Det. No engine stop so no blade dressing.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/0d64a7a6-541f-452b-a451-8bbd64b023c7_zpsfzsb98ui.jpg

smujsmith
6th Jan 2016, 19:53
Good shot Dougie M,

Were you ever on one of those when the flares set fire to the grass at the approach end of the airfield ? ISTR at least twice having the departure delayed due to intense smoke "outbound".

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/2e023b2a19c1fbbd6709f946a00ffab9_zps51e932e1.jpg

Top one is one of the French Foreign Legion chaps who had just helped us offload, the lower a shot from the "GE Position" as we joined the runway for take off. Sarajevo was a very sad event I reckon. But Albert did the job, as always.

Here's a shot you may be familiar with Doug, credit to the Co pilot who took it;
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/07fbeb283e3f3e7c354c3ad2178cb080_zps1upwqapj.jpg

Smudge

CoffmanStarter
8th Jan 2016, 15:07
Gentlemen ...

I'm sure quite a few of you (including our growing lurker community) will have been stumbling about the loft to stow the Christmas decorations for another year ... So has anyone tripped over a mouldy old Nav Bag, crumbly cardboard box or other such receptacle containing RAF Albert memorabilia ... If so, please do share pics and stories ... All most welcome.

If you are one of our regular 'lurkers' to this thread ... Come on in and join the fun :ok:

Best ...

Coff.

PS. AA62 ... Are you back yet after standing on your head over the Christmas period ;)

smujsmith
8th Jan 2016, 19:10
OK Coff,

I wonder how many have one of these in their possession. Certainly easy to "acquire" circa 1971 at Colerne. By 1987 these had disappeared from columns on the K. Fess up then gentlemen, who has one ?

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/37d691f1124630686f14d4083a664dbe_zpsd6aaae21.jpg

Smudge :eek:

ancientaviator62
8th Jan 2016, 23:34
Still basking in the Perth sunshine not back for another two weeks !

Dougie M
9th Jan 2016, 12:36
AA. you'll be burnt to a crisp in that 40deg heat.
Smuj. I would have preferred to be inside the airfield boundary at that height in Sarajevo.
Here's a sunset pic of Albert in sunny South California that I found

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/59245aae-b779-4903-8ff0-a58e8427b02c_zpsoqj8hwxo.jpg

smujsmith
9th Jan 2016, 18:54
Doug,

Agreed on the Sarajevo approach, I'm not sure it's Albert it was taken from. Nice sunset shot, Yuma, Holtville, El Centro ? Do tell. HNY

Dougie M
10th Jan 2016, 13:04
HNY All.
The sunset pic was over Camelot DZ in the Superstition Mountain area of R2512 just north of NAF El Centro on the range where they tested the solid fuel rocket boosters. It was before the Ks got probes. It was on this range we trialled the BT80 chute. Boscombe gave us the drive distances in feet which we took to be yards like all other drops so the guys went out at 25,000ft, three times the distance from the IP. They called that det the "Walk back in Anger"

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/77324150-14f5-42db-85c5-f8fc0d380e1f_zpsvioj0nte.jpg

OldNavigator
10th Jan 2016, 14:26
Can anyone give me advice how I can insert JPG of PDF images. _ I have a few interesting shots to put into the thread from my 14 years on Albert

CoffmanStarter
10th Jan 2016, 17:24
OldNav ...

Welcome :ok:

Check your PM's ... Glad to help and looking forward to your pics ...

Best ...

Coff.

sixfootfive
11th Jan 2016, 09:37
Any chance you can help me out with attachments as well? I've one or two that might bring back memories

CoffmanStarter
11th Jan 2016, 12:11
6F5 ...

Welcome :ok:

Check your PM's ... Glad to help and looking forward to your pics ...

Best ...

Coff.

Shackman
11th Jan 2016, 15:03
Hey DeanOp,

Just seen your super photos at post 3991 - the flypast for Sembawang etc.

That's the first time I've seen those from the other viewpoint: that's me right behind you. I'm now looking for the reverse piccies looking up at you! Of note by then we were getting quite used to close formation with other types (from Whirlwinds through Bristol Freighters and Hercs to Mirages and Lightnings - not forgetting Sqn six ships for disbandment parade) as FEAF slowly drew to a close.

GlobalNav
11th Jan 2016, 22:01
http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/573030-meng-dick-ludford.html

sixfootfive
14th Jan 2016, 10:17
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/Sixfootfive1/6638c946-911b-4956-98aa-ca2e19d08c6d_zpszybt2buk.png

More of test of my IT skills than anything else. Still, anyone remember when and where? There were an awful lot of us there that day.

Courtney Mil
14th Jan 2016, 10:23
First deck landing on Donald Trump's yatch?

CoffmanStarter
14th Jan 2016, 15:03
Well played 6F5 ... You are now fully 'Checked Out' on image posting :D:D:D:D

Intriguing ... :confused:

Best ...

Coff.

DeanoP
15th Jan 2016, 11:49
Shackman (re post 4082)

Hope you manage to find the pictures from your position.I will look forward to seeing them

Dougie M
15th Jan 2016, 13:11
6F5
If the clue is the cross channel ferry and "lots of us" there that day, then it could have been the Normandy remembrance para drop at Ranville but that used to happen every June.

sixfootfive
15th Jan 2016, 13:31
Doug, correct as usual Ex Normandy Salute '94. 50th Anniversary. I think it was an 18 ship that day. I remember in the brief a US crew getting annoyed at the planned 'slow down' call. They said 'It's a big aircraft, when it gets bigger we'll know you've slowed down, no need to tell us'. During the de-brief they were most upset at having been left behind during the timed (and uncalled) acceleration off Ranville. I recall a young (soon to be DFC) chap saying at the back, 'Well it's a big aircraft, when it gets smaller.......'

By the way, that's a hell of a cross channel ferry, it's the QE2.

Dougie M
15th Jan 2016, 15:25
6F5. The Ferry ref was in jest. The Normandy drop that I led had to follow the Dak onto the DZ at Ranville. The DC3 was already sausage side as we thundered across the channel. Up came the DZ saying "Sunray" the PoW was still chatting to the old crones at the café on Pegasus Bridge and could we delay. Bloody Nora we thought and set up a racetrack over the oggin. Once cleared we set up again but were told that the Dak was to run in first. Another wide turn then back in. At the TAP the Dak called up saying he still had troops on board and could he make another pass. The reply was "Yes in 10 minutes cos it's going to be a bit crowded till then"

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/3120c78d-9c96-4377-9920-3a0676a99504_zpslhzjxbu5.jpg

sixfootfive
15th Jan 2016, 16:17
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/Sixfootfive1/Ranville_zpsmlhdaogg.png

I know what you mean about crowded

ksimboy
17th Jan 2016, 16:04
Recall flying over Brittannia on the D-Day drop. An impressive sight at low ish level.

Dougie M
17th Jan 2016, 16:10
Not being part of the "fizz and whizz" fraternity doing their up tiddley up and down tiddley down does not mean that Albert crews didn't play a vital part of Granby. This sadly did not start so well on day1 of the conflict with the entire Hercdet being grounded due to lack of planning coordination with the spams to get us on the ACO! And us doing Red Flag for years before. On the 16th we had been running med supplies up to the field hospital at Quaisuma to receive the expected mass casualties from the forthcoming "mother of all battles". The head medic was the former wife of an Ascot captain and she boarded the aircraft after the second lift in a bad mood which was wonderful to behold. This drop dead gorgeous woman in desert trousers and a T shirt that could stop traffic shouted at us that we were bring her the wrong stuff. We promised to do better but it was nearly three days till the "White House" got us some air time.
As it happens, 25 years ago last night at midnight, I was standing on a balcony in one of the Ex Pat "Eskans" when somebody said "Do you think it will kick off soon?" I was about to say no when the ground all around started to shake like in Independence day and the "Aloominum Overcast" thundered across the desert sky, heading north. "well maybe it just might" I ventured to suggest.

chickenlover
18th Jan 2016, 21:38
Some of us were airborne on night 1 Dougie :) We were skulking about in the North West corner on goggles positioning lots of blokes with long hair to go and cause trouble. Having dropped off one lot, we were heading south east to go and get another crowd when we too became aware of the aluminium overcast heading sausage-side. About the same time all the radio boxes were alive with code words for ‘ the balloons gorn up, all non- players clear orft ‘. Unfortunately, clearing off or landing wasn’t an option as we were in the middle of quite an important operation.
After trying to talk in code to AWACs about who we were and what we wanted to do for what seemed like ages, I asked him in my best anglo-american plain speak about our predicament. To my amazement he came straight back and cleared us to a level he said was the least busy, wished us luck and said keep a good look-out…..

Dougie M
19th Jan 2016, 13:19
What most folks didn't know was that it was freezing cold and it poured with rain that January in the northern edge of Saudi Arabia. All the strips were awash and the hard runway at Qaisuma was in demand. The Spams had control of the area and their sodden foxholes were full of sullen troops. Our cheery salutations were met with "And a Happy F******* New Year to you too, Sir".
The Engineers had bulldozed a 1000 m strip but it sank so we didn't stay long. 25 years ago I had 10 years service to do. Should have jacked it in then and invested in CERN, but I was still having a good time.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/5fd2187d-f614-460d-b74b-20b4d6b72eaa_zpslrgfp1t2.jpg

ancientaviator62
19th Jan 2016, 14:15
Doug,
woolie pullies were not worn in the old days at RAF Muharraq for nothing. The winter WX out there seems to have caught many by surprise. These things happem when the corporate memory of OOA ops fades.
When the balloon went up we were in the a/c at night at Akro ready to start when we were recalled to ops. Went next morning. What a faf the transponder change regime was until an outbreak of common sense binned it.
I was then based back at Lyn after we were the first 'K' into Riyadh to set up the UK Herc Det . Somewhere amongst the back posts is a pic of my copy of that Op Order. Went to 'Q' once but my log book is as blank as my memory as to why.

smujsmith
21st Jan 2016, 12:59
Doug, AA62,

You are so right about how cold it was at nights. I always believed that it was more a matter of the differential between daytime and nighttime temperatures being so large. Reading such tomes as Bravo 20 etc though showed that even the experts failed to plan for meteorological conditions.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/smujsmith/7a6755f406eeac7bfdfbb1d1d66434f2_zpsf16b2fb5.jpg
Another one that "didn't get away" !

Dougie M
21st Jan 2016, 19:23
We weren't the only ones surprised by the rainfall in Saudi. Apart from being photobombed there is a local gentleman in the frame whose 4X4 is up to its hubs in mud and going nowhere. I guess the locals were equally nonplussed.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/bfd19976-4de3-48c4-b278-0a59ebf406d9_zpsow35ikai.jpg

CoffmanStarter
21st Jan 2016, 20:03
I like the fact that 'visitors' get a sandbag instead of more traditional wheel 'chock' technology :eek:

OmegaV6
22nd Jan 2016, 08:55
It did get a tad wet at times .... somewhat later in time .....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85356592/Wind5.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85356592/Rain14.JPG

:)

huge72
23rd Jan 2016, 08:03
Omega V6. I claim my £5. Thumrait 2001!

OmegaV6
24th Jan 2016, 18:03
Huge72 .. place correct but I've got it listed under May 02 .. either way .. it was very wet and very windy !!

Alison Conway
24th Jan 2016, 18:24
Huge 72 and Omega, wet windy and NOISY! Who is going to forget the BFOT, with the banging of the bloody door and the snoring going on at all times of the day? When we were shifted to Karachi, I thought we had won the lottery. That was until the local loonies tried to blow up the "hotel" (ex-Officer's Mess during the Raj) with its own mosque in the grounds. The reason we didn't all get blown up? According to the EOD boys they used a scabby local 9v battery instead of a Duracell!! If Thumrait was vaguely uncomfortable, Karachi was *****ng dangerous. I was glad to be back in the BFOT when they decided that landing the military goods intended for use in Afghan at Karachi was indeed too dangerous.

huge72
25th Jan 2016, 07:25
I was going to say 2002 but went for 01 as I had been there during Saif Sareea, by the time that storm hit in 02 I was up at Seeb as SO3 J3 Ops(fancy name for a gopher) in the big tent. We had no warning of the weather change and it flattened half of the camp. Up all night digging drainage channels to get the water away. Oh happy camping days!

Dougie M
26th Jan 2016, 08:17
I have to say that the "tent art" was better in Seeb.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/cdcb0ecc-7db9-497a-bb17-3c55f0839078_zpsai0bzqqw.jpg

Dougie M
26th Jan 2016, 10:03
Another one with Wilson the "castaway" basketball companion.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/160aff67-ed10-4ce5-b473-4fa91552db64_zpsvza41gvr.jpg

fergineer
27th Jan 2016, 03:18
Who took them photos, when I was in Seeb during the GW you lot were in hotels!!!!

Dougie M
27th Jan 2016, 11:15
Ferg.
I did, and we weren't

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/49a15cf6-8a40-4e07-a12b-ed61169b121b_zpsbnzf9xoj.jpg

zetec2
27th Jan 2016, 16:27
Wow just look at that poised little pinky - true Rodney material !.

Vasco Sodcat
27th Jan 2016, 16:43
AC,

We were in an MFOT with about 4 crews inside. One other crew's Nav who shall remain nameless, but went to Boscombe after Lyneham, set an alarm for every "on shift" (I can't call it morning, because it never was) but the alarm woke everyone in the MFOT but the owner :ugh: Even airborne boots failed to wake him when they landed :ouch:

Vasco Sodcat
27th Jan 2016, 17:28
From the same era as the post above and 4103, the next three pics chronicle the rise and fall of our brave comrades, Cake and Arse.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/Va5c0_S0dcat/Hercs/2002_0224_181320AA_zps9hme7gtm.jpg (http://s613.photobucket.com/user/Va5c0_S0dcat/media/Hercs/2002_0224_181320AA_zps9hme7gtm.jpg.html)

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/Va5c0_S0dcat/Hercs/2002_0309_012945AA_zpssphrliyo.jpg (http://s613.photobucket.com/user/Va5c0_S0dcat/media/Hercs/2002_0309_012945AA_zpssphrliyo.jpg.html)

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/Va5c0_S0dcat/Hercs/2002_0310_040419AA_zpsolxpksle.jpg (http://s613.photobucket.com/user/Va5c0_S0dcat/media/Hercs/2002_0310_040419AA_zpsolxpksle.jpg.html)

smujsmith
27th Jan 2016, 18:11
Vasco,

Great photographs there. I remember a couple of those faces. I'm damn sure Cake & Arse were a welcome ingredient when they "passed". I wonder if you could have got away with a pig roast though :rolleyes:

Only asking :ok:

Smudge

Dougie M
27th Jan 2016, 19:24
Most of the transit crews endured being in here till "they" wanted the big tent back.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/e2b0d956-6e78-4dd4-808d-9d21ef181d65_zpsxgiyrifm.jpg

ksimboy
30th Jan 2016, 06:05
11 years ago today. Never forgotten gents .

Dougie M
30th Jan 2016, 09:47
Of course, going for your "Two a day" drinks at The Camel's Hump wasn't as salubrious as The Talibar in Thumrait.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/87831320-8205-49a9-a908-80077bf290c2_zps6foa7gwc.jpg

smujsmith
4th Feb 2016, 12:20
I'm sure the Al Bustan Palace Hotel figured somewhere in the accommodation arrangements in the Seeb area. Anyone remember it ? A very impressive place. Surely a better standard of "tent"

DeanoP
4th Feb 2016, 13:58
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1887x1893/scan_2_2_2a89138e411beb94e16576e13ab1998b45c24ea4.jpeg
Marshall held a Silver Anniversary dinner to mark the teaming of Marshall and Lockheed in July 1991. It was held at Jesus College, Cambridge.

i was lucky to be invited, along with Adrian Graffham as, I think, we were the longest serving RAF C130 aircrew members at the time. The photograph above is of the dinner. Being a lowly spec aircrew Flt Lt I was seated right at the bottom, with the 'hoi polloi', out of sight of the camera lense. The dinner was marvellous and it was a great privelege to be there.
'Staish' from Lyneham, Ian Corbitt, is on table 'K' right hand side and 3rd from bottom.

The following photos are taken from the Marshall's booklet given to us at the event and could be of some interest.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1398x1055/img010_1__22bef9507b991b5a339edd8b5b2e430d0f347a5d.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1436x1094/img010_f27e1fe0906febd1877bee95a722aab5fee61641.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1493/img012_2_1bab8461ee068d2b2979c0c812a7602a987b8af2.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1469x1514/img011_e0e0a4052a248bd9be5a2495498a2e5962777934.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1490x1228/img011_1__580afccf2f5fab4f37f831dcdc4075d3e8c26c48.jpeg

ksimboy
4th Feb 2016, 17:44
I do recall having an in crew wager every time I flew with Adrian Grafham as to when the first mention of the "Changi Slip" would be!

ancientaviator62
5th Feb 2016, 07:16
Dean,
nice set of pics. The paragraph about the tank corrosion is interesting as it points the finger at dodgy fuel. I always thought that it was the decision not to use FSII in the tanks from the very beginning that was the root cause of the problem. Perhaps someone would care to clarify this.

Dougie M
5th Feb 2016, 14:31
Dean
Very grand gathering indeed but when you consider the tens of millions that Marshall's made out of the Herc fleet and all its mods then perhaps it was a touch niggardly that they pre-positioned the bread rolls before the meal.
Bad form.

kilwhang
5th Feb 2016, 16:48
AA62,

I'll try and answer your question about 'dodgy fuel' and, if any of my facts are wrong, I'm sure that someone will enlighten me :)

Earlier in the thread, Smuj said that he worked on fuel tank corrosion at Colerne in the late '60s. Fuel and oil are hygroscopic and there has always been a small quantity of water present in fuel tanks. If there is a lot of water present, it forms large 'slugs' which sit at the bottom of the fuel tank.

The corrosion came about because of a micro-organism called Cladosporium Resinae (CR) which lives on the thin layer between water and fuel. The larger the water 'slug' the more CR is present. The secret is to keep the water dispersed throughout the fuel. In more modern fuel systems, this is achieved by having a jet pump installed at the bottom of the tank which, continually, mixes water and fuel.

The 'Water Fuel Check' carried out after re-fuelling is meant to detect any water present - but it is far from fool-proof - particularly in some of the parts of the world where we found ourselves. It was not unknown for the bowser driver to have a 'good' Fuel Check Disc to show to the crews. He may have had it for weeks.

The addition of Fuel System Icing Inhibitor (FSII) came about after one particular incident, which I'm sure a few of you remember.........
In the mid-70s, during the Belize Trouble, we spent a lot of our time operating in and out of Nassau (happy days). Back then, Nassau was a bit of a Sleepy Hollow and we used an awful lot of their fuel - we found out later that one of their underground fuel tanks had a crack and water was getting in.

A crew from, either, 30 or 24 were on their way back to Lyneham from Nassau. Unbeknown to them, they had picked up a LOT of water during the refuel in Nassau. The engine fuel filters started to ice up but it was masked by the Ext/Aux high pressure pumps. When they transferred to the main tanks, the lower pressure couldn't cope with the ice. If I remember correctly, 2 engines ran down and a 3rd had low power.
They turned left towards Newfoundland and, of course, descended. In the descent, as they reached warmer air, the ice started to melt and I think they got 2 of the 'dead' engines back. The Engineer was Mike B---e and, if he is on the forum, he might be able to tell the full story.
After landing, some ice was found in one of the fuel filters. As a result, the 'Powers That Be' decided we needed FSII.

The FSII was to stop the WATER freezing and the fuel filters clogging. It, also, helped stop the formation of water slugs which, in turn, helped inhibit corrosion.

I'm sure you remember the 'high tech' equipment they sent to Nassau to enable the FSII to be added to the fuel; a hand pump and 45 gall drums of the inhibitor!

The usual the 'it was 40 years ago' memory proviso is attached to this post :)

OmegaV6
5th Feb 2016, 17:20
Lockheed Service News Vol 2 No 2 page 10 had an article on "microbial growth", and Vol 10 No 3 page 8 had a large article on "Chemical Control of Fuel Tank Infestation" which covers the matter at great length, but regarding FSII this bit is relevant ..

"Added to turbine fuel, MIL-I-27686 does indeed reduce the hazards of icing in aircraft fuel systems. But it can do other useful things as well. MIL-I-27686 acts to depress the flash points of such volatile fuels as JP-4, and it also kills the microorganisms that can cause corrosion of aircraft structure and blockage of fuel systems."

The other part relevant to our Herks was the addition of "Strontium Chromate" cartridges to the fuel tanks to also kill off the bugs ..

smujsmith
5th Feb 2016, 19:17
Kilwhang,

As always a concise and accurate description of the problem I saw as a young lad. I was at Colerne 72/3 when the Corrosion Control Team was formed. We had three shifts which allowed us to cover 7 day, 24 hour support in the quest to inspect and repair corrosion damaged lower wing planks. Though, I would argue that the corrosion problem did not necessarily result from water and Cladosporium Resinae (CR) in the fuel. I offer this as an example of why I believe that to be. Behind each engine, and below the dry bay, a titanium heat shield was fitted, to shield the aluminium skin from the hot jet efflux. After many inspections, and subsequent blending of the corrosion found within the tanks, we noticed that as we blended out the corrosion the area increased, and believed that the corrosion was not beginning on the surface of the wing planks, but within the material itself, and only being found as it "broke surface". As a result of that, we were tasked, on top of fuel tank inspection, to remove the plenum chamber from behind the engines, the heat shield and then inspect the skin under the dry bay. We found many examples of the same corrosion in those locations, including the head of an air grinder disappearing into the dry bay when attempting to blend a small patch of corrosion. The skin was simply rotten.

I believe that after I joined you at Akrotiri in late 73 a decision was made to replace the outer mainplanes, on the basis that the material used on the original wings was of sub standard quality. I certainly remember the strontium chromate cartridges being in the tanks in the 72/3 time frame so obviously attempts to counter the CR were well underway back then. I think that back then, all of us "tank rats" believed that the corrosion emanated from within the material, and not as penetration from surface corrosion. Hope that helps, I'm sure someone will have the "big picture".

ancientaviator62
6th Feb 2016, 07:29
Kilwhang,
thank you for the informative reply. I do recall the Kelson (?) pump and the drums of FSII that had to be carried and the way the FSII had to be pumped up to be blended into the fuel vial the overwing refuelling ports. As I recall the Eng used to the blending whilst the Loadmaster operated the pump.
FSII was on the restricted list in the DAC book !

ancientaviator62
6th Feb 2016, 07:32
OmegaV6,
what date was this article in the Lockheed bulletin ? I always understod that this problem was known before we bought our 66 in 66.

OmegaV6
6th Feb 2016, 10:52
AA, Vol 2 of Service News was published in April 1975 ... the opening line of the article may give some hint of how long the problem has been in the "public eye" .. but probably known about before then !!

"Fuel tank corrosion and contamination by microorganisms has been reported many times over the past fifteen years."

That takes us back to 1960 at least !!

:confused:

ancientaviator62
6th Feb 2016, 11:57
OmegaV6,
so 'what did they (MOD) know and when did they know it ?'

DeanoP
6th Feb 2016, 11:58
The first C130 flew in August 1954. The USAF had 13 years of operating the Herk before we received our first aircraft. The problem could not have been unique to our a/c. I wonder what the USAF experience was?

I remember the story going around that the MOD were too mean to purchase FS11 and therefore paid the price.

kilwhang
6th Feb 2016, 16:24
Thanks for that Smudge.
I remember the article mentioned by V6; copies were sent to all crew members after the engine flameout incident.

I was under the impression that the Cladosporium had affected ALL the tanks and I remember pictures of the internal damage. I wonder if we are talking about two separate problems here: substandard metal and the dreaded CR.

Whatever, it took a lot of man-hours to put right.....and I don't envy you your time as a 'tank rat'. :)

smujsmith
6th Feb 2016, 20:03
Kilwhang,

Back in the day, being employed as a "tank rat" came with the bonus of MIS04 (Pay for work of an objectionable nature). Curiously, the many layers of skin I lost from fuel burns paled to insignificance when later I was payed the same allowance every day I was "down route" as the A/F schedule required the Elsan was "revived" :rolleyes: I have no doubt that those of us who ground out the corrosion were convinced that it originated from within the material. Particularly when we found the same problem in the lower planking of the dry bays. Here's one for your memory, and I admit I can't be sure, did the externals have the strontium cartridges fitted ? My suspicion is that they did not, and that because the material quality was of a higher standard, and obviously, externals were rarely used, except when the Falklands came along. I offer something of a tragedy from Circa 1972 ;

An engineering disaster had occurred at mighty Lyneham field. Some numpty had been doing some pressure tests on the wing tanks on an Albert. Having completed the tests, the aircraft was taken outside for refuelling. Our hero failed to remove the vent Bungs which allowed the tanks to be pressurised (with me yet ?). Bowser starts pumping, slow rate of fuel flow, bowser driver revs up and bang goes a large section of lower wing plank. Corrosion ? No, he left the blanks in. So, Colerne are detailed to supply an outer wing for the aircraft from the last aircraft we received for service (longest recovery from the rob). Duly done, with many hours of overtime, we were pleased to send the wing to our mates at Lyneham on a "queen Mary"? Imagine our dismay when we were informed that it had been written off in a collision with a cement mixer lorry on the roundabout in Lyneham village. I can find no reference to the event on the web, so cannot substantiate my memory. I do know that my proposed deployment from Colerne to Lyneham, to fit the replacement outer wing, was cancelled for some strange reason.

I'm damn sure that Albert has provided many similar incidents during its long time in RAF service. I bet Gopher01 has a few worthy tales, particularly from Thorney Island days. And how about AA62, was the teckie side supportive at Fairford, or did similar disasters happen? I'm damn sure that 70 at Akrotiri must have had some "interesting" times (from personal experience). I shared a room in singly accommodation with two blokes off 70 who didn't realise they had two different aircraft (Whistling tit and Albert) go figure, as they say!

ancientaviator62
7th Feb 2016, 07:38
Smudge,
as I recall the externals were in constant use from the very first.
The fuel gauges were very unreliable and the capacitance test equipment non existent at that time. So we had three fuel states. Full mains, full mains and auxs and everything plus externals. All wing tanks had to be overwing checked as full. As I have mentioned before the visiting USAF Herc chaps gave us priceless info at the beer calls they attended at Fairford.
Yes we had tech hiccups mainly due to the RAF tradition of only type training a very few of the 'techies'. The rest had to use their basic trade skills and get the not very good manuals out for fault finding. Naturally this took time so even a minor snag could take ages to fix.
As Dean says most of us were under the impression that MOD were warned about non use of FSII and for the usual reasons chose not to add it to RAF fuel. Again in a previous thread I have mentioned our pre FSII water in the fuel freezing over northern Canada.

Brian W May
7th Feb 2016, 07:39
To all Tankrats

My abiding memory reference corrosion was 'Dutch Barn structures' which the lads from Marshalls were trying to grind out too.

Eugh, what a job, thank God I was engines.

Haraka
7th Feb 2016, 08:16
"Fuel tank corrosion and contamination by microorganisms has been reported many times over the past fifteen years."

That takes us back to 1960 at least !!

With Aviation Gasoline certainly identified on the Hunting Percival Pembroke back in the 50's.

ancientaviator62
7th Feb 2016, 08:58
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/ancientaviator62/HERCULES%20AIR%20CADETS_zpsdmdoawss.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/ancientaviator62/media/HERCULES%20AIR%20CADETS_zpsdmdoawss.jpg.html)

I have been sent the above pic by a friend. He does not know from whence it came so if I am infringing the owner's copyright or sensibilities I will of course remove it. He thinks it is an ATC summer camp at Thorney Island. It is of special interest to me as XV 186 was the first 'K' I flew in on the OCU on Feb 19 1968.
The Captain was John S.
I am sure smudge will have something to say about the props !

Null Orifice
7th Feb 2016, 10:23
Re: kilwhang's #4120

Regarding the "water in fuel" ex-Nassau (yep, I had to rough it there too - although I did manage to fit in a Belize night stop! :hmm:). This place was renowned for its lack of fuel hygiene. On a couple of occasions, the underground refuelling pits were under at least 1 foot of water after a heavy 'shower' - I believe there may be several photo albums containing pics of us lads with overalls/growbags jauntily hoisted above knee level while we carried out our herkwork. Refuelling was suspended until the tide went out.

With reference to the FSII hand pumping - there was in existence a trial of a 'local' mod produced at Lyneham whereby a length of refuelling hose was to be fitted between the bowser hose and the aircraft; this extra length of hose was fitted with an adapter (American spelling) for connecting the hand pump hose directly to the refuel line. The number of pump strokes was calculated according to the flow rate of the refuel bowser (can't remember how many strokes per whatsit - my grey matter has gone u/s). I've no recollection of it ever being used in anger.

Null Orifice
7th Feb 2016, 11:04
Re: Smudge's post #4130:

The story of the 'blown' wing tank, IIRC, was an incident on A-line when all the holes in the cheese became aligned.

Fortunately (for me!), I had just taken part in the oft-derided (by - shall I say, non-ground crew?) shift change ceremony. The 'frame in question was XV177. Having just taken over the oncoming engine trade shift, one of the first items on my sheet was to send a chap to refuel the aforesaid aircraft for an evening sortie. Somebody other than my engine person had already commenced the refuelling procedure: before my man could get to the aircraft, he heard a dull whooomf! noise, followed by the sight of several people running around in 'emergency mode'.

The train of events was triggered by several people failing to carry out the correct procedures when (a) completing the tank task, i.e. removing the vent bungs, and (b) before carrying out a refuel, where the 'book' procedure clearly states that vents were to be checked 'clear'. The resulting mayhem required the attendance of the station fire chappies for an area washdown, plus the procurement and installation of a new/serviceable outer wing assembly which, as smudge has indicated, was not an exactly straightforward operation, as they didn't have one in stock in the station stores :rolleyes:. Cue the Lyneham roundabout incident!

No names, no pack drill here, but there were several other factors involved, regarding certain authorisation issues/scope of engineering and servicing activities on base, etc. by at least one of the participants.

smujsmith
7th Feb 2016, 11:37
Null,

Thanks for that info. Being at Colerne at the time, I was relating the event from the "grapevine" point of view, so interesting to note that most of it was correct.

The Toilet Tester
7th Feb 2016, 20:56
It is a Summer Camp photo, it is 384 Mansfield Squadron. Taken some time in the week including the 6th August 1970.
We, actually had a two hour flight in the aircraft on the 6th.
I was part of the Squadron from 1969 to 1972. I'm in the back row towards the right side.
I think, that it was taken by one of the Base photographers.

The Toilet Tester.

ancientaviator62
8th Feb 2016, 09:41
TT,
excellent thank you. I hoped someone viewing this thread would have a connection to the picture. Have you seen this pic before and do you know who 'owns' it now ?

The Toilet Tester
9th Feb 2016, 11:23
AA62.

Thanks for your reply.
I have seen the picture before. I have actually, got a copy of it. It is a matt finish picture, rather than a glossy version. That would fit the age of the picture. But, I don't know where, I got the copy I have from.
I have no idea, who owns the original though.

Best wishes.

The Toilet Tester.

ancientaviator62
9th Feb 2016, 13:19
TT,
thanks. Ownership still with MOD I assume.

DeanoP
9th Feb 2016, 14:21
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1760x2000/img017_fd1063bc5a3d8b4afc56a296b0e78b0c58194af9.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1600/img018_0ad52be90177c9f7c43a976a7c45bc3debc81923.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/815x765/img019_7d58603c8ae0f0ca661103be6b6b36cf408f3272.jpeg
I wonder what the final total was. Anyone know?

Sqn Ldr Graham Young was tragically killed on 23 June 1963 when, on a low level mission, Hercules XV193 crashed near Perth in Scotland. RIP

Photos courtesy of RAF News

aeroid
9th Feb 2016, 17:03
Whilst we are in the memory mode how many of the original crew members trained at Sewart AFB. Tenn. are still warm, upright, sober (?) and above ground.
Hands up

DeanoP
9th Feb 2016, 18:07
DeanoP for one,as Aeroid will remember.
Luke warm, slightly shrunk and trying to be sober.

Dougie M
12th Feb 2016, 10:39
Some years back there was a winter of storms like this one and the resupply vessels could not dock on Lundy Island for weeks. The young lady who was caring for the small herd of animals on the island called the local radio station to ask for an emergency airdrop of fodder for her stock. Lots of PR kudos and permission from Group, Low Flying Uxbridge, et al, and LXX mounted a "routine training" mission to include a block 4 ME each onto Lundy. The AD boys had pinned Valentine hearts to the loads for the young lady marooned on the island and the usual romantic sentiments. The drop was on the wind limits and the DZ was unmarked but all landed on the island. The local TV station eventually interviewed the girl when the weather eased and we all realised why she was there all alone. Not to be disheartened, a chirpy 47 AD dispatcher commented "A kill's a kill, boss"

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/e341d144-0771-46d1-8a31-036dc21814e8_zpsq8fsxqkb.jpg

sixfootfive
12th Feb 2016, 11:28
Operation SHEEP'S DROPPINGS I seem to remember?

gopher01
12th Feb 2016, 18:58
Following on from the comments regarding training for techies, as one of the ground crew who saw in the first frame to Thorney Island in '67 the first A/F was completed with the flight servicing schedule in the left hand and a glossary in the right as we tried to decipher the American English and technical terms. All we knew was that the Lockheed rep said the Flt servicing started at the crew door and went clockwise round the aircraft! In the usual time honoured way I had worked on the Herc for nearly a year before getting on the ground school.
And doing the first prop change purely by the book produced some memorable moments, some of which we had rather that we didn't remember. Having come onto the Herc from the mighty Beverly it was just a little bit of a culture shock!

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
13th Feb 2016, 10:33
In the usual time honoured way I had worked on the Herc for nearly a year before getting on the ground school.

I only went on one aircraft course, Puma, in all my time in the service - and that was after I had been on the aircraft for nearly 2 years.

Aaron.

smujsmith
14th Feb 2016, 19:52
Ahh, Gopher and AARON.

Courses, aircraft, for the education of ? I managed 2.5 years at Colerne, involved in Base3 servicing on Albert, with no course. I was sent to Waddington and completed the Vulcan course, on posting from Colerne to Akronelli. Arriving with my newly awarded Q-AVUL-A I was employed initially in the Hydraulic bay, with Kilwhang, and ended up working on 56 Squadrons Lightnings. The next aircraft course I was "awarded" was the Q-ANEW-A course (AEW3 Nimrod). I'm sure both the Kinloss and Warton elements added to my understanding of the aircraft, though the aircraft singularly failed to add to my further employment. And so, I end up back on Albert, accepted for the Q-AHER-GE course, how did I get through that ? I reckon the HDU course also added to my vast knowledge. I did do a couple of tanker rotations to MPA in my time. I do know I learned a great deal about Albert from "proper" GE's and certainly some bloody good Pilots and Engineers.

ancientaviator62
15th Feb 2016, 12:23
In respect of type training for ground crew the attitude seemed to be 'well you have had a very good basic training just get on with it'. Which we did. I was trained on the Javelin radars, never on the Hunter, and worked on the Lightning for two years before my AI23 course.
It was probably fair enough for the basic a/c but hardly sensible or cost effective for the more complex types.

smujsmith
15th Feb 2016, 22:04
Crikey, whatever next ? Loadies who were once fairies!! Nice one AA62.

Dougie M
16th Feb 2016, 19:31
Aircrew courses weren't all that frequent either as I recall. After Canberras I attended 242 OCU twice in 50 years. 1965 at Thorney for Argosies (3 tours) then in 1975 at Lyneham for Hercules (8 tours). I stopped flying Auntie Betty's Alberts with the Auggies in 2006 and I still had my tatty OCU notes full of climatology and gyro navigation.

ancientaviator62
17th Feb 2016, 07:19
Doug,
I only did two OCUs. Hastings and Hercules. We must have saved the RAF a fortune !

CoffmanStarter
17th Feb 2016, 07:33
AA62, Doug ...

Natural talent doesn't need too much honing they say ;)

Glad to see there is still life in our little old thread ...

Best ...

Coff.

ancientaviator62
18th Feb 2016, 07:34
Doug,
just adding up my Herc tours. 242 OCU, 47, 48, 242 as an airdrop instructor, JATE, EU, (then Henlow/Cranwell OCTU) back to the EU, 242 as CALMI, then eight years as the ALM Leader on 30.

Dougie M
19th Feb 2016, 14:52
With each posting on Hercs I always thought "Well I hope the next tour will be as good as this one" and it always was, including the trials unit at JATE. With four detachments to the States each year and going places for hot weather and cold weather trials it was great. My Desk Officer was amazed that I wanted to go back to Lyneham after Brize Norton. "We have a posting for you here on a different type " he said. Me, a Spec Aircrew Tac nav said "No ta!
The final "tour" was 6 years on the Auggies with Roy's boys and that was the piece de resistance. I kept all my quals and dropped to Flt Lt. Secondary duties Nil, Station duties Nil, Superior officers the Duke of Edinburgh. All my old mates with centuries of experience. I knew all their war stories and they knew mine so we were comsec. An ideal way to downshift before final retirement. It's a shame that nobody has navs anymore.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/baaf9b26-38b4-4531-bea9-9182bd5a8d79_zpsorg4ktxe.jpg

ancientaviator62
20th Feb 2016, 07:17
Doug,
fine lot in your pic. Be interesting to add up all their 'K' hours. After I retired I was offered a a job with the 'Oggies' as a F/L but family circumstances meant that I had to decline. Still I could not complain after the great time I had on the Herc. Happy days.

Stretchwell
20th Feb 2016, 08:01
That photo looks like a bunch on day release......... ;-) I think the one on the far right has any ankle tag too !

Fun times.

CoffmanStarter
20th Feb 2016, 08:31
I suspect there's quite a range in the age of Flying Overalls on display too ;)

smujsmith
20th Feb 2016, 18:55
No Coff,

The grow bags get lighter as they spend more time in the sun. It looks like those in the darker kit were the last to show up for the photocall := One wonders how many days/weeks it took to assemble such venerable personages. Nice to see though.

Bengerman
20th Feb 2016, 21:12
As I was casually browsing this thread I happened upon a picture of Sqn Ldr Dave "Grumpy" Wri**t.
I have summoned my cardiologist.

Brian W May
21st Feb 2016, 15:31
I liked flying with him (Dave W), he just didn't suffer fools . . . gladly or otherwise.

Alison Conway
21st Feb 2016, 15:54
I liked flying with Dave W. He was foisted with me for my D to C PRT. He wasn't happy, but at the end (as it all went well) he grudgingly put in a good word with Jock G**** my leader. To my astonishment the next year he REQUESTED my presence, and I almost upgraded to B. The next year he INSISTED on me and I did upgrade (courtesy of Trev P********). On our flying check out with John St****** there was some monkey business with seat swapping involving climbing where one should not, and I saw two quite elderly gentlemen laughing like twenty year olds. Cool guys, and a pleasure to fly with.

22nd Feb 2016, 17:02
Re Dougie's photo, post 4156
There are a few of us, from the original Reservist Trial, who have operated Albert in the RAF, RAFVR and RAuxAF.

The rightly much admired Stu Vince "held my hand" to fly Albert as part of the parade flypast at Cranwell, on 5 April 1997, when all those in the RAFVR moved into the RAuxAF. Much better than being on the parade!
Apparently the RAFVR still exists but there is no one in it. An empty cupboard!

Interesting how some of those, who were dismissive of the Auggies and reservists when they were regulars, changed their views when retirement allowed them to continue in the Auggies.

I'm just glad that we made it work for all those who followed.

Dougie M
24th Feb 2016, 08:09
The Hercules Reserve Aircrew which formed at Lyneham in 1999 within the OCU were tasked with keeping 5 crews on limited readiness. By the time the OCU was disbanded in 2001 the HRA became 1359 Flt embedded in LXX Sqn. At its apogee the Flight fielded 9 CR crews employed on Ops Telic and Herrick. I once represented the OC R*y H***** at a RAuxAf commanders conf at Cottesmore and the various Sqns lamented their recruiting figures. The Chair said "We will bypass 1359 Flight". Somebody asked why and the young lady from Biggin Hill said "Because they have 100% manning and a waiting list!"
The Flight asked for Squadron status but that wasn't granted for another 10 years and the rather diminished force at Brize is now 622 Sqn.

TEEEJ
24th Feb 2016, 18:19
Published on 22 Feb 2016
We interviewed Martin Oxborrow, he is an ex RAF C-130 Pilot and one of the stars of the 1980 BBC documentary 'Fighter Pilot'

He talks about his life flying the Hercules, filming 'Fighter Pilot', the Falklands and also mental health.

iBtae6-61LA&feature=related

smujsmith
26th Feb 2016, 21:18
I've just read, on another thread, about a Victor tanker that reeled its hose overboard over Germany, and just missed a house. I wonder if Albert ever had a similar occurance ? For the life of me I can't see how it could happen, but then, as I understand it the Victor and Albert shared the same HDU set up. I'm busy trying to remember my HDU course back in the late 80s, and am struggling. I bet there's a loady or two who can help.

ancientaviator62
27th Feb 2016, 08:20
Smudge,
as I recall there was a drill for jettisoning the hose in the event it would not rewind. Never heard of it being done in anger though. We had a manual rewind system, the handle for which was positioned in the most awkward position possible over on the starboard side of the ramp. During the tanking course we all got to try it. Thankfully that was as close as I got to using it.

TwoTunnels
27th Feb 2016, 09:53
Anyone ever come across Mel Bennett on the Herc fleet? He was a RAFVRT Flying Officer when I knew him- a great, inspirational bloke who was down to earth. He wore a 'iron cross'-like medal round his neck on parade (apparently earned in an escapade saving the Sultan of Brunei). Would love to hear any stories. He sadly died a couple of years ago.

TT

WIDN62
27th Feb 2016, 11:07
As I recall, the Victor had a sort of guillotine arrangement for cutting through the hose if they couldn't wind it back in. The worry was that it cut through in an area where the hose was still partly wound on the drum. If the aircraft had been up at height for any length of time the part of the hose still touching the drum could freeze in place. When the aircraft descended into warmer air, the hose could suddenly be freed and drop off. This was not a problem somewhere like Ascension Island, but could have disastrous consequences over populated areas. As a result of this there were occasions when the crew chose not to cut the hose, but to land with it trailed. If there are any Victor men lurking here, I am sure they will but me right.

I don't think we had the cutting system on the Hercules, but relied on the fire axe! I have had a couple of occasions when the ALM had to wind the hose in manually. On the course they had told us it would take more than one person to achieve it. My ALM managed on his own - partly because he was a big chap, but also the hose was only partially out and probably hadn't got fully into the air flow.

deltahotel
27th Feb 2016, 12:15
TT. Years ago (1985) I held with the AEF at Manston and he was there as a very junior officer. He delighted in going to dining in nights as the most junior officer and thus Mr Vice. His No5s had clear lines where he'd had his senior officer rank braid removed.

A fine man and I enjoyed hearing him tell of the early days of the RAF C130 fleet.

smujsmith
27th Feb 2016, 19:20
AA62 & WIDN62,

Thanks both for your replies. I did a couple of MPA tanker rotations as a GE, but only enjoyed one flight in a tanker, when it was doing its job, and that only because I begged a ride, rather than tasking. Sounds like the manual rewind system was akin to the MLG wind down, I believe 360 turns of the winding handle from up to down (each side). Don't envy the loadies that task. Curiously I remember the HDU course I was sent on (as a GE) to qualify me to accompany tankers "down south" on rotations. It was really interesting learning about the VC10 wing hose systems, I'm sure the instructor was as bemused as we were on why we needed to know that. It's an intreaging thought of a hose, letting go on approach to LYE, over West Swindon:eek:

ancientaviator62
28th Feb 2016, 08:44
Smudge,
winding the gear down was a lot easier than winding in the hose ! You may recall that it was the airflow that unwound and trailled the hose. So a fully extended hose would require much muscle power to manually rewind.
The ALM who did it on his own not only must have been strong but the hose could not IMHO have been fully extended.

Dougie M
28th Feb 2016, 16:49
I don't recall a hose being cut at Lyneham but we did have a bit of a scare when the airborne mail retrieval kit was about to be released to service. The then Wg Cdr Ops decided to have a go himself to prove the kit and that's when it went wrong. The height to fly so that the hook would engage the suspended line was 40 ft and the good Wg Cdr was rather higher than that on the live run. The grapnel foul hooked the line and a 100lb bag was yanked into the air. The direction of flight was opposite to that shown in the pic but it gives an idea of the choice of escape which was to stay right of the M4 and turn before Wootty B (seen at the right). Any likely catastrophe was however averted when the line parted and the bag was dumped into Tockenham pond where it may still be.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/b8b901d3-8f86-4bca-b681-eda4f3067174_zpsb7xgaqpx.jpg

WIDN62
28th Feb 2016, 19:07
AA62,

Yes, as I said, it was not fully in the airflow and yes, he is a little bigger than you. Your clue is that he is an engine driver!

ancientaviator62
29th Feb 2016, 07:04
WIDN62,
the ALM in question can only be Mick C !

R4H
29th Feb 2016, 11:50
Wasn't there a case of a Herc tanker basket coming off and the HDU reeling in the hose at vast speed? Not sure if this actually happened or whether it was taught as a possibility.

smujsmith
29th Feb 2016, 22:46
Someone should know R4, I know that at least one probe nozzle was left in a tankers basket during my days on the line. I also heard, but it remains simply chatter, that a receiving Herc returned to Lyneham with a Victors basket on its probe at one point. I'm sure someone, somewhere can verify or otherwise put to rest these fables.

ancientaviator62
1st Mar 2016, 07:44
R4H,
I seem to recall at least one instance of a FJ removing the basket. This would result in the hose rewinding at high speed. There were systems in place to slow the hose down but if it happened then the drill was for the ALM to evacuate the lookout postion ASAP. This was because a flailing hose spewing fuel in the cargo compartment was not conducive to his continued good health. It was suggested that cowering between the front and rear tanks was the best option.

fergineer
2nd Mar 2016, 02:49
R4 I can confirm it did happen I was the Eng on board, it was on our MPA detachment and the loadmaster was found in a very small space, it was as we were reeling the hose in so without the basket it came in at a great rate of knots and filled the cargo compartment with fuel. The then Staish was about to be refueled off us and scarpered back at a great rate so he could land before us as we were leaking fuel from everywhere. We were there during the winter and when the FS Officer came to talk to us about what happened and I mentioned that if the basket hit a sheep it would be easy to find as the beta lights were radioactive he launched the RIC to go search for the said basket, to this day I don't think it was ever found and we kept clear of the RIC because they were out there days in the snow. Micky B was the loadmonster.

Flyer Flier
2nd Mar 2016, 11:24
Re Dougie's photo, post 4156

Greetings to you all,

I am gradually getting through all the posts, up to page 178 out of 209. It's like doing a walk in the Brecons, you think you're nearly there, but as you crest a hilltop, it's only a ridge and the top is still ahead a long way off!

I'm hoping to have reached the thread summit soon, when I will post some of my C130K photos for you. My profile says that I haven't been on pprune for over three years, as it had lost it's shine, but I flew with one the gents in Dougie's Aux photo post 4156 the other day, who told me about this thread and said I should have a look. I was at Lyneham and on 1312 Flt between 1986 and 1988. I was only there a couple of years as an Engineer Officer on A-Line, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time and certainly had some tremendous experiences both down route with the crews and on detachments to place like West Freugh and Masirah. I have already recognised some faces from various photos, including Paul "270degrees-on" on 4156 pic.
Kind Regards
Steve
Here's one of my pics from Albert Square March 1988:
http://www.airclark.plus.com/mpasunset3.jpg

CoffmanStarter
2nd Mar 2016, 12:34
Welcome FF :ok:

I must admit that when I started this Thread nearly two years ago, with the kind help of AA62 and others, I didn't expect us to log over 4,000 contributions and over 680,000 hits ... and still going strong :eek:

I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing your pics ... Everything shared here adds to the fantastic story that is RAF Albert !

Kind regards ...

Coff.

Flyer Flier
3rd Mar 2016, 08:45
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyneham4a.jpg

Thank you for the kind welcome and finally I have got myself up to speed by reading all those posts up to date! I have particularly enjoyed reading about the early Hercules days out in the Far East and seeing the chocolate colour scheme photos away in very exotic locations. I also was very interested in the Op Bushel photos and story, as this occurred just before my arrival at Lyneham in 1986 and some of my flight on ALSS had been out on detachment in Ethiopia.
I am off to a talk on Op Bushell and the C130 next Tuesday by a former RAF Sqn Ldr Pat **** who I have met through my local RAFA branch and was a Nav on that detachment.

The photo above shows a typical busy apron, props akimbo and also one of the lighting towers, which I climbed up with my camera to take the next photo:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyneham2a.jpg
I have seen a shot on this thread of the 15 ship flypast at RIAT over Fairford in 1987, but I took this picture probably the Sunday before on the practice day over Lyneham itself. It was a great sight, not least the empty pan, which was rare back then, but not now!
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyneham3a.jpg
Finally a quick personal story. Do you remember the old Meteor that was parked over by the wash pan past the B-line hangar? I think the next hangar was the paint shop. Well, back around 1987 one of the Hercules went tech in Florida. The Nav Paul O**n had a PPL and took the opportunity to do some cheap flying out there and found out that the Piper Tomahawk he was flying was for sale for a song, so after a call to the boss, he bought it on his credit card and by the time Albert was fixed it was loaded, wings removed, onto his empty airframe to return home with him. He knew I had a PPL as well and was flying at the RAF Flying club at Brize and asked if I would want to fly it. Back in those days, lots of "things" could get sorted through phone calls and beer calls and in no time it was repainted, re-registered and living in the paint shop hangar ready to be flown by a small group of keen PPLs at the station. I have lots of memories of taking other people flying on glorious summer evenings to wander around the white horses of Wiltshire. The photo shows my late mum, bless her, trying not to look worried as I am about to depart with my father on a jolly. It was a great example of how the RAF was so "can do" back then. It would have been so easy for OC Ops to have said no to a civil aircraft living and flying off his airfield between the movements, but he was fine about it. I don't think we paid any landing fees or hangarage back then. Paul went on to get his commercial licences and flies for BA, I believe. I must have a check of where the old Tommy is now.
Cheers
Steve

ancientaviator62
3rd Mar 2016, 09:08
FF,
to echo the 'father' of this thread, Coffman, welcome. Excellent pics and yes in those days you could get things done. The main spar for our Super Cub rebuild arrived from the states via 'Hercair'. Later on it became so much more 'whose budget is it coming out of 'etc. More tales and pics please.

Brian 48nav
3rd Mar 2016, 09:21
Welcome! Keeping a civil aircraft there had been done before. In 1973 2 navs on 30 were doing PPLs at Staverton Flying Club, myself and Al Moffatt. I was hopeless and chucked it in, but Al M kept going and eventually became an airline pilot. His story is interesting but this is probably not the place for it!

I digress - the flying club had an old Cessna 150 for sale and it was bought by Al,"Benny' Hill ( also a nav on 30 ) and a Wing Pilot, Abe Lincoln ( RIP ). They obtained permission to keep it at Lyneham and I believe Abe gave them both private tuition.

I'm not sure how long it was there, as Al resigned and left in the summer of '74 and Abe left in the big exodus in '76.

Null Orifice
3rd Mar 2016, 10:32
There was also a home-built (IIRC), of a type unremembered by me, residing in J2 Hangar during the early 70s, owned by a Loadie (ex-48?), I believe.
It made its maiden flight, flown by someone other than its owner-builder, then shortly afterwards, left Lyneham for somewhere with greener grass - all a bit vague, I know, but somebody on Prune will fill in the gaps - won't they?:hmm:

Lyneham Lad
3rd Mar 2016, 15:56
In my time as Chf Tech i/c the Structures Bay ('85-'88) in J1 hangar, an AirEng Chris ??? kept a Jodel in the hangar, close to the Bay's door. We kept a friendly eye on it for him.

Flyer Flier
3rd Mar 2016, 17:32
In my time as Chf Tech i/c the Structures Bay ('85-'88) in J1 hangar, an AirEng Chris ??? kept a Jodel in the hangar, close to the Bay's door. We kept a friendly eye on it for him.

Yes, I believe his name was Chris, I wish I could remember his surname. He took me flying in his Jodel, rather old and creaky, but full of character,... just like an Albert!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/SCAN0180_zpsggyjcucq.jpg

Anyway, back to photos and this one was inspired by those old photos of aircraft manufacturers checking the bending stress of wings by all the workforce standing on them. I persuaded the 1312 boss Sir Matt (who was a famous Man Utd manager in his previous life) to get us up all on top for the team photo rather than just in front. Hopefully the resolution will be enough for you to enlarge and spot faces as required.
Cheers
Steve

WE992
3rd Mar 2016, 18:26
Flyer Flier. Thanks for posting the photos. It brings back some great memories of what Lyneham was like when I arrived there in happier times rather than the sorry state it was in when I left after all the aircraft were gone.

Alison Conway
3rd Mar 2016, 18:27
LL

I think you mean Chris Philpot who sadly died whilst displaying on some airfield if memory serves. He was a nice guy. RIP.

chickenlover
3rd Mar 2016, 18:44
Through the wonders of the inter web I have met some lovely photographers who are happy to share their handiwork with old Albert drivers. This shot by the talented Howard Sinclair who is happy for me to share with y'awl

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/Fryboy47/Dave%201_zpskgespmqq.jpg

Lyneham Lad
3rd Mar 2016, 18:56
LL

I think you mean Chris Philpot who sadly died whilst displaying on some airfield if memory serves. He was a nice guy. RIP.

Well, that is very sad to read. He was indeed a very pleasant chap who on occasion tried to persuade me to participate in a flight on the Herc when he knew it was a UK training trip. I have an aversion to spending time in a vibrating aluminium tube so always politely declined - until one Friday afternoon. He came into my office and said "come on, we are just off on a local trip and the frame is just across the pan outside your window." Hmm, nothing low level? "No, honest Injun, just a local sortie." Oh, OK then. Clamber aboard, doors closes, put headset and Captain announces "change of plan, we are going low level..." Chris looks over his shoulder, grins and gives me a thumbs up. The resulting disturbance to my internal functions will long be remembered. :eek:

RIP Chris (I forgive you).

WIDN62
3rd Mar 2016, 19:25
LL

I think the airfield in question was Compton Abbas.

Dougie M
3rd Mar 2016, 19:57
STF were asked to carry out a memorial fly past at Compton Abbas for Chris "Flipflop" and duly obtained low level clearance from Salisbury Plain. The approach was from the west and the airfield is perched on top of the scarp. The small party of guests were at the foot of the tower and unaware of the imminent arrival of three Hercs at low level which can be 50ft over the threshold. The tower was quite impressed and the lady controller used some non standard RT phrases as we appeared over the lip of the scarp in 15 second trail. I think we gave Chris a good send off though.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/58b6ebe4-4371-4f64-97cb-c367adfa5ba1_zps2tivmjoi.jpg

Lyneham Lad
3rd Mar 2016, 20:37
I think we gave Chris a good send off though.

Good to know - thanks.

ExAscoteer
3rd Mar 2016, 20:52
The approach was from the west

Surely, from that photo, the approach is from the East heading West?

Flyer Flier
3rd Mar 2016, 20:53
Lyneham Lad,
I am very sad like you to hear of Chris' early demise in an accident, but I could not match your magical words to make such an appropriate tribute of his natural charm and likeability.
Dougie M
Very suitable send off by the sounds, nice to see the fleet remembering its own in a manner they themselves would very much approve.

smujsmith
3rd Mar 2016, 21:52
FF,

If I may, welcome, and thanks for some great photographs and memories from "back in the day". Prior to my GE days, I too spent some time on B shift ALSS.

Chickenlover,

Superb shot of Albert, whoever took it, thanks for sharing it with us.

As someone who was fortunate enough to fly on several route trips with "flip flop" his passing was a great loss to many across the Herk fleet. He was a very special bloke.

Smudge

DaveW
3rd Mar 2016, 23:07
I had nothing professionally to do with the Herk fleet, apart from a single trip down the back from Boscombe to Gib - and, of course, thoroughly enjoying this thread..

I did. however, know flip flop as I was a junior member of the Yak 52 syndicate that he also belonged to when he had his accident.

That was 11 August 2001, from memory, and it doesn't seem that long ago somehow. As those who knew him better than I have already said, he was a fabulous bloke, with enormous enthusiasm for life and for flying. He seemed to just love negative g for some reason, and it was a massive blow when I heard the news that day; I'd flown with him less than a week previously and by example he taught me a lot in half an hour. Vale, Chris.

kilwhang
4th Mar 2016, 15:18
If I remember correctly........
After leaving the service, Phil got a job flying tourists around Cornwall in a vintage Auster. I believe he was doing an air test when it crashed and he was killed.

Phil was a really nice guy.

steve757
4th Mar 2016, 16:15
Just to clear things up....https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/yak-52-ra44546-11-august-2001

RIP Chris

BossEyed
4th Mar 2016, 16:29
He was working with a long haul freight airline out of Manchester, I believe. Terribly sad. :(

Alcazares48
6th Mar 2016, 17:19
Yes, I believe his name was Chris, I wish I could remember his surname. He took me flying in his Jodel, rather old and creaky, but full of character,... just like an Albert!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/SCAN0180_zpsggyjcucq.jpg

Anyway, back to photos and this one was inspired by those old photos of aircraft manufacturers checking the bending stress of wings by all the workforce standing on them. I persuaded the 1312 boss Sir Matt (who was a famous Man Utd manager in his previous life) to get us up all on top for the team photo rather than just in front. Hopefully the resolution will be enough for you to enlarge and spot faces as required.
Cheers
Steve

Yes I can spot myself on the port wing, Sir Matt was my captain.

Flyer Flier
9th Mar 2016, 07:41
Alcazares48, I have some nice photos of my time on 1312 back then, which I will post when I can spend some quality time with my scanner.

I went to a really good talk last night given by retired Sqn Ldr Pat Fitzgerald about the C130K and his time as a pilot at Lyneham including Op Bushel. Lots of photos and stories akin to here, I did mention this thread to him, but I am not sure if he has posted on pprune. I was particularly intrigued by his recount of returning from an ASI run in 1982 when fuel contamination caused the initial loss of 3 engines over the sea. Managed to get two going again at a lower level and landed at Faro on three, definitely a day anyone would remember vividly!

Returning to my memories of C130Ks, I have some potted reminisces of maintaining old Albert that I can bring back, but in no particular order.
The fleet at Lyneham back in the 80s was split into half between A-line and B-line. Each line covered the first line servicing needs 24 hours a day, all year round with 4 flights working a 12 hours shift pattern of 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 nights on ad infinitum.
I remember the cigarette smoke in the crew room and control, like a London pea souper, I must have been on 20 a day as a passive smoker! The shift pattern destroyed my body clock, ever since then I can sleep anywhere at any time and never suffer jet lag either, can't have done me good in the long run.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/ALSSa_zpsqelf5bgj.jpg
The officer's name badge originates from the predilection by the aircrew in the mess to enjoy breaking ours in half every happy hour, all the eng junior officers decided to change their name to reflect the fact that we were regarded as the bottom of the food chain and had a job lot of Pond Life badges made up for beer calls, much to the amusement of all and thus the badges survived.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Aline1a_zpsfmhl0dr5.jpg
Some of my flight around 1987. We were a real family with all the ups and downs that entails, clashing personalities, high jinks, wind ups, but always getting the job done. Sending a small team downroute to fix a broken Albert was always a welcome task, especially if somewhere exotic.
There were two electrical relays that others here can remind me of the details that caused a smile regularly. One just behind the Capt's seat below the floor, where after the crew called up for a start snag, a cheeky Corporal would rush out to the aircraft and stamp hard on the flight deck floor in just the right place, "Try it now" would be followed by a disbelieving shake of the aircrew heads as the engine duly fired into life. Another sticking relay was located in the pig's trough above the cargo bay. This would involve the leckie, armed with a large broom, heading out to a hold full of wide eyed passengers. Hitting the appropriate box with the head of the broom would unstick the relay and he would smile and wave to the pax as the engine started, many who by now had their head in their hands at the thought of flying in this aircraft! Happy Days!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Aline2_zpsjhokffdx.jpg
We also had a few young SACs who would do turn around checks and assist with the rectification under the supervision of the technicians of the various trades Riggers, Sooties, Leckies and Fairies as they built up some experience prior to being sent on a "fitters course" to become specialised themselves. This was an alternative to the Apprentice route where you would receive a Junior Technician (JT) after their thorough initial training from the hallowed halls of Halton or Cosford.
Pleased that I can remember their names after 30 odd years! That's Phil on the left and Ros on the right,.. wonder where they are now?

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Aline3_zpst9ajpt3h.jpg
Finally, a bit of a trick of the light out on the Lyneham apron one day had me believing that the RAF had introduced a secret counter to the Russian helicopter gunship. I believe it was a "Pumaleese".
Cheers for now
Steve

DeanoP
9th Mar 2016, 11:24
On return to the UK from Changi early in 1972, Bass Brewery were reminded of this connection and were very generous in donating barrels for Sqn piss-ups and hosting visits to the brewery. Shame MOD did not consider this before disbanding the sqn.

The 48 Sqn Centennial Reunion is taking place on 15th April 2016 with, I believe over 130 members attending. If you are interested contact Colin Eames by email: [email protected]

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/283x338/img021_2_90577a36b0db4f610dfbae9be8ec56e3410de96a.jpeg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1400x2000/img021_006777b4f6b1f868f7855ee88a1198d869fffd10.jpeg

philrigger
9th Mar 2016, 12:05
This would involve the leckie heading out to a hold full of wide eyed passengers with a large broom.

What were the passengers doing with a large broom?

Philrigger.

mr a
9th Mar 2016, 12:55
I haven't seen that photo of 1312 flt for a while, thanks Flyer Flier. I'm on the right next to Sir Matt. Great times down south.

ancientaviator62
9th Mar 2016, 13:58
Dean,
I survived one or two of those brewery visits !

Flyer Flier
9th Mar 2016, 14:17
What were the passengers doing with a large broom?

Philrigger.

Following an AOC's semantic inspection of grammar, I have made a correction which hopefully meets with your approval, Philrigger. Cheers!

Mr A, nice to hear from you (Andy?) Expect to see some photos of yourself and crew appearing next week or so.

All the best
Steve

Gumpied
9th Mar 2016, 23:39
I vividly recall one particular visit to the Brewery when a certain Loadies, one T**** F******, and myself decided to "borrow" a Bass Charrington flag from the roof of the building. A day or so later we were advised by the CO that it would be a good idea to return said flag to preserve the good relationship between 48 and the brewery and preserve the beer supply!! We did of course but I still have the two pint beer pots given to us on the visit, in fact I used them just a couple of days ago.

I was 48 from December 69 until May 73 when I left the service, flew with both you gentlemen.

Null Orifice
10th Mar 2016, 08:22
Sounds like a typical T F and G M stunt! I remember some of the tales from Changi, including his (and yours!?) 'dodgem' parking in Singapore ;).
If you are G---- M----- , I lived next door to you for a while in Suicide Village. We were also on 24 Hastings in the mid 60s.

IIRC the above-mentioned Loadie left the trucking business and eventually made it big time in the TV world - well, he appeared in a documentary when he was a winch dangler at Valley!

ancientaviator62
10th Mar 2016, 08:31
Gumpied
I have a single survivor beer mug from those halcyon days.
TF did indeed end up as an SAR winchman. I recall one rather over indulgent Xmas bash in Changi which resulted in my taking TF home on his motorbike.
What state I was in to agree to do it I now shudder to think. Quite rightly Mrs TF gave us both a clip round the ear and I retired hurt taking a cab home.
The follies of youth.

Gumpied
10th Mar 2016, 15:46
That's me but it is JM and not GM. The car saga in Singapore was the "Nudgers Club"; as there was no sell on market due to the pull out :*a group of us decided that for scrap value only we'd have some fun with it. I recall arriving off a trip and offering the Loadie a lift home. As I was about to back out from the parking spot a saw, in the mirror, another Nudger across the car park. Hit reverse and straight into him with laughs all round except for my passenger who jumped out screaming "you're all *^%#@ing mad!".

I also flew with the infamous J** T****** on the trip down from Kuantan!!

Null Orifice
10th Mar 2016, 20:13
Sorry Jeff (spelt the same way as my No 1 son - how could I forget?).

Forgot the name of the Nudgers, thanks for the reminder.
My particular 'dodgem' was a Mk II Consul with a dodgy gearbox and three holes in the floor - my kids soon became used to the pre-start check: "Feet off the floor". Gearbox was fixed at 48 Sqdn, using a couple of Herc chocks as axle stands - tool store was a handy and well used facility.

My 'best' nudge was actually unintentional (Mrs Null & kids as pax) on the Bukit Timah Road when my bald front tyres contributed to my failing to negotiate a slight curve on the damp (!) road surface and ended with my car striking a glancing blow against the front wing of an oncoming Kiwi's Vauxhall Velox. As he was almost tourex, and his car was also junk, with no injuries in either vehicle we parted amicably, with him suggesting that, as the chrome strip on his bonnet was actually mine, would I like to take it with me?:O

Lyneham Lad
10th Mar 2016, 21:25
Following the 'completely off-thread' trend, one of my memories of the Bukit Timah road is watching from a taxi held up by traffic of locals betting on rats. Squirted with an inflammable substance and set on fire then released with bets going on which one would go furthest before expiring...

Dougie M
13th Mar 2016, 16:27
I would be so bold as to opine that all units contemplating the Centenary celebration of their old boys honour and glory would do no better than the recent 47 Sqn dinner in London. It was worth standing in a train full of Welsh rugby supporters all clutching their six packs of Brains beer as far as Reading, to attend this memorable evening in one of the halls that the guilds of the City enjoy the fruits of our labour. It's a shame that centenaries only come once every 100 years because the spectacle must be the high point of all association dinners and huge praise to the organisers. Only 300 or so friends and associates there but a fantastic evening. Nili nomen.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/1aacaa6b-7d90-42ca-b4d8-fcf016191d1d_zpsbvnoe8jk.jpg

smujsmith
15th Mar 2016, 19:55
Flier Flyer #4204,

Sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy. Your second photo of your "flight" contains a few memorable characters, who I regularly saw on shift handover (I was on B shift) as it must have been C or D flight you owned. Certainly one Mick Rans*n was a regular at shift change. And Simon Hanl*y later joined me in becoming an AGE. Nice to see some old faces, and thanks for posting them.

Doug, looks like 47 managed a good night out, as usual. Nice to see.

upgently
16th Mar 2016, 14:51
Sorry to go off message but found a few pics and you often ask for them so here goes

A couple to follow of impressive fin art.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/2w30v1t/9)

Dougie M
16th Mar 2016, 14:51
Smuj
Not only the venue was outstanding. It was good to see that now the Sqn has its own engineering support staff, they were also present at the dinner. Senior and junior ranks were asked to stand for appreciative applause from Air Chief Marshals downwards. It was definitely an all inclusive event. When eventually I flagged down a black cab to return to the hotel, the cabbie said "I've had a lot of business tonight from this corner. How many of you lot are in there?"

upgently
16th Mar 2016, 14:57
Fin Art

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/2w30v1t/9)

upgently
16th Mar 2016, 15:02
Sorry peoples but my uploading seems to be going horribly wrong. Must try harder as I see that the two uploads are duplicates.

Dougie M
16th Mar 2016, 16:13
Upgently

Oh you mean this place. I'm at the base of the column.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/b4be9996-367b-4a79-b994-645b96dd9dd3_zpsegcnzr6y.jpg

upgently
16th Mar 2016, 16:44
Dougie

I was about to suggest that four columns of wisdom had morphed into 5 but .....................;)

upgently
16th Mar 2016, 16:55
Try again with a picture post of fuselage art.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/34dprg4/9)

upgently
16th Mar 2016, 17:00
Herc Fin Pic

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/16ks4gp/9)

Dougie M
16th Mar 2016, 17:01
Upgently
The Fin Art is top banana but too professional for yer average service graffiti.
As for pillars of wisdom, I can't walk on water but I can float a bit.
Dougie

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/007f4c88-6223-4393-8bb3-73887933ecb2_zpsnc7medhz.jpg

upgently
16th Mar 2016, 17:05
Dougie

You weren't on your way to Greece from Turkey were you?

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/4h2weg/9)

upgently
16th Mar 2016, 17:10
Previous pic was 40 years of the Herc.

This one is a thank you to the Brits for the support during the Earthquake relief.:D

http://tinypic.com/r/141unew/9

upgently
16th Mar 2016, 17:17
Last one

Celebrating the Herc support companies

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/30ux0y8/9)

Lyneham Lad
16th Mar 2016, 18:17
Upgently - you need to post the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" in between tags :)

http://i68.tinypic.com/2w30v1t.jpg

CoffmanStarter
16th Mar 2016, 19:02
I found this article interesting today. We've discussed Herc Mil JPADS Ops before, but this is written based on current Syrian Ops by Russian Charter aircraft.

Two weeks ago, the United Nations World Food Programme’s attempt to air-drop 21 pallets of food to some 200,000 starving Syrians in the ISIS-beseiged city of Deir ez-Zor ended in failure. The threat of anti-aircraft fire forced the Russian transport aircraft chartered by the U.N. to release its cargo—enough lentils, rice, vegetable oil, and salt to feed 2,500 people for a month, the food agency said—from an altitude of 23,000 feet. The Guardian reported that four pallets were destroyed because their parachutes didn’t open, seven landed too far away from the target area to be of benefit, and 10 had drifted so far off course they could not be located.

Air & Space Magazine (http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/anatomy-high-altitude-air-drop-180958361/)

Surely the expertise for this kind of Op is the preserve of the Military ?

downsizer
16th Mar 2016, 19:11
The Pakistani relief Op in '05....what was it called, buggered if I can remember!

November4
16th Mar 2016, 19:14
The Pakistani relief Op in '05....what was it called, buggered if I can remember!

Op Maturin (http://rafmams.co.uk/Operations/Operations/OpMaturin.html)

downsizer
16th Mar 2016, 19:35
That's it, cheers. Who'd have thought it, thanking a mover!!

November4
16th Mar 2016, 21:25
No problem - We Movers do have our uses.....occassionally

ancientaviator62
17th Mar 2016, 08:35
upgently,
welcome back.

Flyer Flier
18th Mar 2016, 20:21
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyne%20009c_zpskvknwwks.jpg
Hello again everyone, sorry for the delay posting, but my old computer decided to pack up and just like a "K" is nil stock in spares and needed some ingenuity rather than replacement to get going again.
Anyway, I am back up and scanning and I hope you will recognise the Lyneham shots I took back in 1987 to record my time on A-line as an engineer officer.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyne%20008b_zpsnhqhpnyd.jpg
In reply to the previous message from Smudge, I am delighted to hear that Simon became a GE, he was a really nice guy and he fully deserved the chance to make the most of that opportunity. Also, in answer to you, I think my lot was "C" Flight (it was long ago!) but my wonderful Flt Sgt was Dougie Bowyer if that narrows it down,... plus good old Mick Rans*m, one of my old time Chiefs, so many stories from him and about him!
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyne%20007a_zpstmlyg57p.jpg
In fact all my Chief Techs were great characters and on occasion if we were quiet on a night shift after all the snags were done, they would start up a fierce bridge card school with no prisoners taken in bidding wars and subsequent debriefs on the outcome! I had no issue with this, provided all the work was done, but one night OC Eng Wg decided to surprise us at 4am while I was doing some 6442s and the card school was in full swing. He strode into our control and feeling that he had caught them out said: "No problems gentlemen?" To which the reply came straight back "Yes, Sir, we're vulnerable in Spades!" This took the wind completely out his sails and unable to come up with a retort, just looked at me and snapped "I'll see you in the morning!" before leaving as quickly as he had entered.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyne%20008a_zpspxolro0d.jpg
"You can't hide up there all day Sir, OC Eng wants to see you right away! Plus I need you to sign off my leave request. "
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyne7a_zpsghvc3vl1.jpg
So, just one more high up snap from the flood light tower, of a couple of visiting Canadian C130s.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/phil_zps75pbrgnt.jpg
Now just some pics I took to illustrate the routine of life on the line such as bringing the tyres back up to pressure with Nitrogen.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyne%20008c_zpsymm3jrue.jpg
And the daily movement of aircraft around the airfield and into the hangars using the tug.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyne%20007c_zpsg178tdx8.jpg
Two Alberts squeezed into the A-line hangar to be sorted for a check or a rectification of an awkward snag.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyne%20009a_zpssglbshg3.jpg
Another constant task was a re-role of the cargo area for the many different jobs that the aircraft was capable of performing. This photo also illustrates how much "stuff" was back there!
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyne%20009b_zpscab13ppw.jpg
And my much maligned, but unsung hero in the stores, beavering away to keep us stocked with parts and tools,.... at least he knew that I really appreciated him!
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/airclark/Lyne%20003_zpsdh0sbael.jpg
Finally, to finish off, a departing Fat Albert heading off to somewhere exotic and distant and this is will be the theme of my next set of photos as I look at some of my trips away downroute.
Cheers to you all,
Steve

ancientaviator62
19th Mar 2016, 08:41
Flier,
nice pics, especially of the cargo compartment. But it looks to this non airframe eye more like part of the floor has been taken up rather than a re role.
The versatility of the 'K' was a great for the various tasks but not so great for the Role Eqippers ! Nineteen basic roles plus various sub roles within the nineteen. They deserved more respect than they usually got,

CoffmanStarter
19th Mar 2016, 08:41
Thanks for sharing your pics FF ... Looking forward to the next instalment :ok:

CoffmanStarter
19th Mar 2016, 09:32
Here you go AA62 and the wider ALM community (and yes I know it's an A400M not a Herc K) ...

'Ascot 401' ... very amusing ;)

Formula 1 : 'Fast and Furious' (http://f1.channel4.com/video/formula-fast-and-furious/)

dragartist
19th Mar 2016, 09:53
Here you go AA62 and the wider ALM community (and yes I know it's an A400M not a Herc K) ...

'Ascot 401' ... very amusing ;)

Formula 1 : 'Fast and Furious' (http://f1.channel4.com/video/formula-fast-and-furious/)

Good one Coff - Airbags not required!
Reminded me of Ted Strong driving his Quads off the ramp (US Civi 130 - could not get permission to do it from a Mil A/C - Also used a big steerable square) RIP Ted you left an impression on me.

smujsmith
19th Mar 2016, 19:47
Flyer Flier,

Thanks for that last post, and the magic memories brought back from your photographs. ALSS was a very special place for those who served there, as I suppose, was BLSS for "them" !!!! By the time I arrived there circa 87, I had variously seen the delights of life as a rigger on Vulcan, Lightning, Jet Provost, Chipmunk and Bulldog, Nimrod AEW and a remote Scottish VASS. None approached the camaraderie or determination to meet the tasking that I found at RAF Lyneham. We simply didn't go home till the aircrew had their required steeds. I think many of the operators on this thread would agree with my statement. I was lucky enough to spend the latter part of my time in the service as an AGE, which gave me an insight in to Albert away from Lyneham, the commitment of the crews to getting the job done and the back up offered by both LSS organisations to people like me, many miles from home and needing advice. Your C flight guys (Simes and Mick) are to the best of my knowledge both well, and still in the vicinity. Thanks again for the photographs, worthy of this ever building record of Albert in RAF service, we all contributed to its success.

fergineer
25th Mar 2016, 21:49
Totally agree Smuj, I worked on BLine, both C and D shift and on A line on the primary and the mods team, the latter with my leg in plaster. I agree that we all worked hard on getting the frames in the air I was a bit luckier than you I was on the line 73 to 77 so they were that bit newer. Enjoy d coming back as aircrew to find some of the old faces still around.

smujsmith
25th Mar 2016, 23:36
Hey Fergineer, vintage groundcrew you truly are. I was heading for Cyprus in 73 after a two year experience of Albert at Colerne. Thanks for your backing that even us pond life took a pride in getting the frames on time and on target ! Your return as a "seat holder" on the fleet was most welcome. I know I'm not the only ex GE who enjoyed your company down route. Tucker Thompson sends his best regards.

Brian W May
27th Mar 2016, 21:04
All that ALSS and BLSS, there was nothing wrong with LSSA and LSSB - I remember a SENGO arriving and insisting it was changed around - bloody plonker as it separated the two lines in the phone book (remember them?).

Having done my time at Colerne, I was grateful not to be a 'liney' at Lyneham - they had it much rougher than we did doing the Base 2 and 3 checks.

GEs ensured my flying gloves stayed a lot cleaner than they would have done - thanks guys. Only one or two exceptions . . .

Dougie M
28th Mar 2016, 14:49
Personally I was delighted with the inclusion of a G.E. in the crew for route and dets. On a previous "whistling" transport type I always had to shin along very thin Dart engines quite high off the ground to check oils and fit engine blanks. When I arrived at Lyneham there was no need for the "Qualified 1st line servicing" entry in the log book anymore. There have been occasions where all the crew had to muck in to help out but under close supervision. I would like to say that I wasn't on the crew who rolled a mainwheel down the ramp at Davis Monthan then had to chase it down as it raced off along a line of mothballed A10s. The U.S. crew chief said that the wheel narrowly averted the biggest aircraft loss since Viet Nam.
G.E.s were a force to be reckoned with. Gentlemen I salute you.

huge72
28th Mar 2016, 18:06
Dougie's story reminds me of an incident that happened at Bardufoss in early 89. I was No 2 ALM on the trip still relatively new to the fleet and beginning to enjoy it after several years rotary. After dropping our load of marines we taxied out to take off, began the run and then aborted due to an engine problem, so taxied back in. After the GE and Eng played with the problem and a quick eng run we taxied out for another go. Same thing happened so we taxied back in with thoughts of night stop!!!! As we shut down a Norwegian who had been in the follow me vehicle brought us loads of melted rubber and it appeared that the Port mainwheels had locked and the friction caused the ice to melt turn to steam and off came the tread. Call to Lye Ops and not only were we to get the engine parts but 2 mainwheels s well. The next day our rescue flight came in and the other loadie J**** O**** and I went to meet it. The Loadie on the other aircraft, one of our Female brethren was a little stuck off loading the bomb trolly with the wheels on, so ever gallant we offered to do it for her. J had control of the winch and I had the heavy end. Using dunnage to clear the ramp hinge we lowered the ramp from horizontal. Toe ramps fitted, Norwegian mover on the chock I gave it a shove!! Oops we had left the handle on the winch the chock man jumped clear and it whistled off the ramp trailing the cable behind it and buried itself in a snowdrift. We sheepishly rolled up the cable returned it to the young female loady and pushed our wheels to our aircraft. I never did hear what was said by the rollies at Lyneham. But I certainly learn't about off loading from that.:uhoh:

smujsmith
28th Mar 2016, 18:48
Some good posts there Gentlemen, and like all ex GE's, I'm always grateful for a pat on the head. I always looked at being part of the crew as a team effort. There was little, in my day, that a GE could offer once the wheels were retracted and we were on our way. Maybe spell the "Loady" on Tea making duties on a long leg, it was always nice to get a few minutes at the sharp end to learn a bit about how Albert was operated, and procedures that were never taught to us GE's in the normal course of our training. I believe, after I left in December 94, the GEs were given flying pay, and were expected to partake in certain airborne activities, though that may have come as a result of reduced manning of the aircraft with the J. For me, the best of times were when having stuck with a "bent beast" overnight, and got it ready to depart on time, the crew would often turn up with a nice breakfast treat for me, in appreciation. Happy days for all I reckon.

Nugget90
29th Mar 2016, 09:11
Many of the recent posts have echoed the theme of working together to keep the show on the road. Here is one example of how we used to work as a team to ensure that we could hand over a serviceable Hercules (C130 A-Model) to the crew that the following day would fly on up to Thailand or Vietnam, or both.

In the mid 1960s I had the great pleasure, as an RAF pilot, of operating with No 36 Squadron RAAF that was based at Richmond, just outside Sydney NSW. When I arrived, in 1965, the first Australian contingents were being deployed to Vietnam and our Squadron was tasked to provide regular support through 'services' operated at least weekly via Butterworth on the west coast of Malaya.

As there was confrontation with Indonesia, we couldn't fly the direct route via Darwin (this came later) so made our first day's sector Richmond - Pearce (near Perth, WA). On the second day we flew to Cocos Island for refuelling before going on up to Butterworth sneaking around the top end of Sumatra (if we got too close our 75 MHz airways marker beacon receiver would flash, reputedly from a harmonic of the Indonesian gun radar, causing us to ease out to sea just a little bit more!).

Inevitably we reached Butterworth at dusk when rays from the setting sun flickered off the three-bladed propellors - and from time to time triggered an engine fire warning! The drill was to shut down the engine and fire one shot of extinguishant into it, but not a second unless there were clear signs of flames or smoke. Generally, the warning, if it came, occurred only as we were on finals, so the remaining flight time was going to be brief.

We had no RAAF ground engineering support at Butterworth, so after we had parked the aircraft the flight engineer would make ready to inspect the engine, assisted by the captain, the loadmaster would attend to the cargo which might include perishable commodities such as fresh Australian milk, the navigator would hasten off to arrange accommodation in both Messes, and I, as the co-pilot, would go across to the RAF line engineers and borrow steps, tools, etc to enable the inspection to proceed and a replacement bottle of fire extinguishing to be installed (we always carried two spares).

It didn't matter how long the job took, for the crew that had brought the previous Hercules up the week before would take over the following morning and fly the aircraft into and within that part of Vietnam where the Australians were based, then on to Ubon in Thailand for the overnight stop (to keep the aircraft safe). When we had finished the task, the Officer's Mess bar would probably have closed, but the Sergeants' Mess would still be open and that's where we all went. The officers first removed their hats and rank badges (epaulets) before trudging through the palm trees to join the flight engineer and loadmaster. All was prearranged! On arrival, our NCO crew would take us to the senior SNCO who would formally welcome us to the Mess and invite us to have a beer. We, having learnt beforehand of this gentleman's name, would politely thank him for the welcome but decline the beer for this would already have been acquired by our crew. I had then, and have now, the greatest respect for those SNCOs for the support they gave to the aircrew who, they knew, would likely be flying to the war zone in the very near future or who had just returned from it. Fantastic support that I shall never forget! We then awaited the arrival of the next 'Service' flight from Richmond before completing whatever tasks were required and subsequently taking the aircraft back home to Richmond.

smujsmith
29th Mar 2016, 18:33
Nugget,

What a great story, and proof positive that "Albert" crews, of whatever nation, will always help when they can. I can relate a story from my own experience when transiting through Aviano on the way to an Ascot "something". Our night stop held the promise of some good Italian wine, food and a nice change from the Op Granby stuff we had all been involved in for seemingly ages. So, having landed I, as the GE started to put my perfectly serviceable Albert to bed. I was pretty much finished and wrapping up the paperwork when a camouflaged chap with an American accent asked to come aboard. Welcome says I, and he duly took a seat on the bottom bunk, as I continued to sign up the 700 at the Navs station. He had a problem, he had a blown bleed air fitting on his Albert, and, the blown joint was not one of the usual sizes, so he had no spare in his "go pack" ! Well, I wasn't carrying a ranger pack, but as usual for all GEs did have my trusty "spares bag", in my case the RAF hold-all I had been issued at RAF Halton in 1969, full of "bits and bobs". Looking through it we managed to find a new clamp and gasket, which we fitted and I had the pleasure of doing a ground run on an "H" as he did the leak check.

Fast forward to that evening, sitting in the hotel bar having a beer with the crew who were still there and this very charming lady walks in, asks me if I'm Smudge and asks if she can take me out to dinner. Well, how does one refuse, so off we went. I discovered that the lady was the Captain of the "H" and heading Gulfwards, she was genuinely grateful that I had assisted her crew chief in ensuring they could continue on task, on time. My reward was the look on our co pilots face as I was "picked up" in the bar, he told me the next day that GEs had gone up in his estimation. I paid for dinner, and a few drinks before escorting the Captain back to her room (door). Truly, more proof of international Albert cooperation.