Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Is Ukraine about to have a war?

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Is Ukraine about to have a war?

Old 4th May 2022, 10:16
  #5041 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The South
Posts: 287
Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
A point of view on Western aims

https://theconversation.com/ukraine-...o-do-it-182255
Timmy Tomkins is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 10:45
  #5042 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 30,926
Received 1,745 Likes on 752 Posts
Originally Posted by pasta
Seems like a difficult problem to solve; I'm guessing LMG (or any other CIWS) will have pretty limited range, so you need one deployed near every target. To defend an area you need some sort of guided missile, which quickly gets complex and expensive (I'm guessing more expensive than the drones you're targetting). The only other countermeasures I can think of are electronic (deny control of the drone, or its ability to navigate) or some sort of directed energy (shoot them down with lasers).
They are using drone jammers, see

https://twitter.com/search?q=ANTIDRO...rc=typed_query


https://www.mobileboosterjammer.com/...corrosion.html
NutLoose is online now  
Old 4th May 2022, 11:17
  #5043 (permalink)  
Tabs please !
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Biffins Bridge
Posts: 867
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Those drone jammer devices are all very well until someone develops the capability to turn the drone towards the source and release stores at the point of maximum signal strength.

B Fraser is online now  
Old 4th May 2022, 11:34
  #5044 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: UK
Posts: 91
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by B Fraser
Those drone jammer devices are all very well until someone develops the capability to turn the drone towards the source and release stores at the point of maximum signal strength.

Designed more for tiny recon drones than big weapon carrying ones I suspect. I doubt you could jam a Reaper for example with something that size.
Ohrly is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 11:35
  #5045 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Crawley
Age: 66
Posts: 177
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Inexpensive option?

Originally Posted by pasta
Seems like a difficult problem to solve; I'm guessing LMG (or any other CIWS) will have pretty limited range, so you need one deployed near every target. To defend an area you need some sort of guided missile, which quickly gets complex and expensive (I'm guessing more expensive than the drones you're targetting). The only other countermeasures I can think of are electronic (deny control of the drone, or its ability to navigate) or some sort of directed energy (shoot them down with lasers).
I thought that birds of prey had been used; cheap to manufacture.
nevillestyke is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 11:44
  #5046 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 30,926
Received 1,745 Likes on 752 Posts
Or how about


https://www.pointtrading.com/wp-cont...G-brochure.pdf


They also do a worn system agains the commercial drones

https://mydefence.dk/pitbull-100-101/


..

Last edited by NutLoose; 4th May 2022 at 12:14.
NutLoose is online now  
Old 4th May 2022, 11:45
  #5047 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Outer ring of HEL
Posts: 1,595
Received 147 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by nevillestyke
I thought that birds of prey had been used; cheap to manufacture.
Here's a rather straight forward approach. Efficient though.

Beamr is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 12:04
  #5048 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 16,278
Received 926 Likes on 461 Posts
The only other countermeasures I can think of are electronic (deny control of the drone, or its ability to navigate) or some sort of directed energy (shoot them down with l@sers).
As previously posted - point and shoot, no cost apart from the electricity., already starting to be deployed by the US army.

https://www.defensenews.com/land/202...laser-weapons/

Army readies to deliver first set of Strykers with 50-kilowatt laser weapons
ORAC is online now  
Old 4th May 2022, 12:24
  #5049 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 30,926
Received 1,745 Likes on 752 Posts


Glad to see they are now adding the additions from the previous day on them now.
NutLoose is online now  
Old 4th May 2022, 12:33
  #5050 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: london,uk
Posts: 735
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pasta
Seems like a difficult problem to solve; I'm guessing LMG (or any other CIWS) will have pretty limited range, so you need one deployed near every target. To defend an area you need some sort of guided missile, which quickly gets complex and expensive (I'm guessing more expensive than the drones you're targetting). The only other countermeasures I can think of are electronic (deny control of the drone, or its ability to navigate) or some sort of directed energy (shoot them down with lasers).
Martlet is a fraction of the cost of the drone.
35mm radar guided guns with programmabke ammunition are designed for drones. Poland has developed one and there is the AA guns delivered by Germany.
peter we is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 12:39
  #5051 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,821
Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose


Glad to see they are now adding the additions from the previous day on them now.
.


Seems to be going really really well. That is such good news,,,!!!
SOPS is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 12:49
  #5052 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 30,926
Received 1,745 Likes on 752 Posts
So Russian propaganda has taken a hit too....shame

NutLoose is online now  
Old 4th May 2022, 13:50
  #5053 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mostly in my own imagination
Posts: 378
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Beamr
I'd bet my pension that within a few years all the armed forces in the world will be having significant amounts of UAV's, both heavy and light, long range and short range.
I've been saying that for a while now.

I think the stage we're at with drones is similar to when biplanes used to fly alongside each other and each take turns (for the officer of course) to take pot shots at each other

There are so many "opportunities" to use drones, in offensive, defensive and drone on drone action.

You could launch a swarm attack and have them come from many different directions, they don't even have to continually fly, but could make a journey in a series of hops to hide detection, they could even fly an erratic course to make them difficult targets. You could even theoretically have a hybrid drone that lands, then crawls for a while to take off from a different location. They could be pre programmed with the target coordinates, so have nothing to jam, they could lie in wait for days, maybe even weeks. They could coordinate an attack amongst themselves, could even become a colony intelligence like an ant nest. I've even seen film (on here) of drones firing nets at other drones.

Think of the civilian world too and how political candidates give speeches surrounded by plexiglass walls. That might now need to be a box to stop a drone attack from above

Very interesting, but very frightening too
Sue VÍtements is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 14:01
  #5054 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Frensham
Posts: 794
Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Sue VÍtements
I've been saying that for a while now.

I think the stage we're at with drones is similar to when biplanes used to fly alongside each other and each take turns (for the officer of course) to take pot shots at each other

There are so many "opportunities" to use drones, in offensive, defensive and drone on drone action.

You could launch a swarm attack and have them come from many different directions, they don't even have to continually fly, but could make a journey in a series of hops to hide detection, they could even fly an erratic course to make them difficult targets. You could even theoretically have a hybrid drone that lands, then crawls for a while to take off from a different location. They could be pre programmed with the target coordinates, so have nothing to jam, they could lie in wait for days, maybe even weeks. They could coordinate an attack amongst themselves, could even become a colony intelligence like an ant nest. I've even seen film (on here) of drones firing nets at other drones.

Think of the civilian world too and how political candidates give speeches surrounded by plexiglass walls. That might now need to be a box to stop a drone attack from above

Very interesting, but very frightening too
For those that have missed this short film:

Wokkafans is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 14:16
  #5055 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,550
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by peter we
Martlet is a fraction of the cost of the drone.
Its less than a USD1000 for something like a DJI Mavic, which both sides have reportedly been using for artillery spotting, probably even less for something cobbled together using Radio Shack-esque electronics.

AA guns delivered by Germany.
I believe the Germans supplied their Gepard Flakpanzer - 70s or 80s tech if I'm not mistaken, probably not optimised for taking on drones.
dead_pan is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 14:17
  #5056 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 30,926
Received 1,745 Likes on 752 Posts
For something random and supposedly down to Russia's poor safety record, there does appear to be a lot of them, and some quite relevent



NutLoose is online now  
Old 4th May 2022, 14:20
  #5057 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,550
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sue VÍtements
Think of the civilian world too and how political candidates give speeches surrounded by plexiglass walls. That might now need to be a box to stop a drone attack from above
And much more attention will need to be paid to the armour on the top of tanks and AFVs, with the likes of TB2 roaming the skies.
dead_pan is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 15:15
  #5058 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,518
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

They're using WWII shaped charges and dropping on the turret roof
RatherBeFlying is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 15:42
  #5059 (permalink)  

Evertonian
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: #3117# Ppruner of the Year Nominee 2005
Posts: 12,307
Received 77 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by B Fraser
Those drone jammer devices are all very well until someone develops the capability to turn the drone towards the source and release stores at the point of maximum signal strength.

I doubt the DJI Mavic (I think) in the picture would have that capability.
Buster Hyman is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 15:51
  #5060 (permalink)  
Tabs please !
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Biffins Bridge
Posts: 867
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
True, but a couple of geeks, an RPi processor, two antennas and a soldering iron......
B Fraser is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.