PDA

View Full Version : Teesside-2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

highwideandugly
17th Feb 2021, 09:38
Think mr mayor would have sleepless nights if some of his fund had to go on things the public don’t see or appreciate!

Most taxiways and even runways were built with Javelin and Lightning’s in mind..not B787,A320 et al?

SWBKCB
17th Feb 2021, 09:44
Realistically, how big a problem is it if the existing taxiways can't take anything bigger than A320/B737? The occasional backtrack for anything larger isn't going to be that disruptive.

Midland 331
17th Feb 2021, 10:43
Newcastle survived without any parallel taxiway at all for many years, and for 25 departures, it was virtually a full-length backtrack. I do recall the occasional five to ten minute delay(on a ten-minute sector to MME!), but not very often.

N707ZS
17th Feb 2021, 11:00
Parking could possibly be a bigger problem.

highwideandugly
17th Feb 2021, 12:52
Terminal refurbishment,Parallel Taxyways,parking restrictions,improved surface links..have I missed something?

Covid at the moment reigns supreme.Airports are going nowhere fast.

TIA has fewer movements,passengers and freight than in its history.Just how long is it going to actually take to get back to even 2019 levels?

P330
18th Feb 2021, 08:50
The KLM restart continues to be delayed - not unexpected given the current restrictions.

Restart still begins for the summer schedule on 28/3 but is now only once a day. This jumps to the old 3 times a day schedule on 26/4.

P330
18th Feb 2021, 09:00
You sense the announcement next Monday by Boris will be the first time we get a meaningful view on whether we will get a summer season this year.

Whilst it now seems clear the UK restrictions will gradually lift in Spring, which should stimulate the demand for our domestic services, a big question mark exists about international travel both in terms of when it can happen and the conditions travellers must meet in order to travel.

Given KLM is due to start in March and ramp up in late April; Dublin in March; Bulgaria in May, Ryanair in June plus Alba in July, it is quite possible that none of these really get off the ground this year. Some newspaper speculation suggests July as a possibility whilst ofhers say after Summer.

Whatever happens, any uptick for MME is going to be slow with a lot of people glued to our leader on Monday for any new information.

N707ZS
18th Feb 2021, 14:36
Don't think that oaf will give you a straight answer on Monday. Covid was supposed to have gone by Christmas. I didn't take you as a Boris believer.

This year is going to be interesting. Talked this morning with a group about what would Peel have done at DTVA if they still owned it.

P330
18th Feb 2021, 17:40
Ah; very good. No, I don’t believe him but without any credible info from anywhere else at the moment, it’s all we’ve got.

Not expecting a straight answer....but maybe a signal.

P330
25th Feb 2021, 10:49
Looks like Darlington town centre has made the short list for the Treasury jobs. Good for the region if successful but doesn’t look like a new build will be coming to Middlesbrough or Teesside Airport now....

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/row-sparked-darlington-beats-middlesbrough-19911801

LGS6753
25th Feb 2021, 16:07
I hope the Treasury uses a brownfield site. I would hate to see my hard-earned taxes going into a new build, especially with the glut of offices likely in the next few months and years.

DP.
26th Feb 2021, 12:30
Given the current state of the commercial property market, as you point out, it seems inconceivable that the government could justify a new build development for this.

tigertanaka
26th Feb 2021, 19:25
The Ryanair app is now showing Palma as twice weekly over the winter season.

P330
27th Feb 2021, 13:24
Good news. Hopefully Alicante stays all year round too.

SWBKCB
27th Feb 2021, 13:33
The Mayor has confirmed Palma all year round. No mention of Alicante.

SKOJB
27th Feb 2021, 13:55
Does the airport ever have a voice or is it all about me (The Mayor)!

HH6702
27th Feb 2021, 18:54
Palma is a strange one for year round it normally ends Oct and restarts March from everywhere.

maybe Spain is hoping due to lockdowns that people will go in the colder winter months

s_insania
27th Feb 2021, 21:02
SKOJB

Thanks for that really important input

GBYAJ
27th Feb 2021, 21:17
I agree! Something really odd here.....aviation is on its knees but the mayor of Teesside (home of an airport that has been neglected for years and ignored by major airlines) is managing to launch new routes etc. Armchair airline MD/ frustrated plane spotter with public money to spend...

SKOJB
27th Feb 2021, 22:02
s_insania

Not important, just an observation!

BristolexFlyer
28th Feb 2021, 00:47
I think there must be a mix up here. No way in hell there is a winter market from Teesside to Palma. Alicante would be more like it. Most hotels in Majorca close in the winter and what few flights run from the uk support is expats and cycling tourists.

Bizarre route choice if true.

Jamesair1
28th Feb 2021, 08:35
Must be a Timetable error, I expect it will disappear in a day or two. As BristolexFlyer writes, there has never been a winter market to Majorca.

P330
28th Feb 2021, 11:28
I’m surprised too. Now quoted in the Northern Echo too claiming it to be a popular winter destination.

Anyone who goes to the Balearics late October will know everything is shutting down...

SKOJB
28th Feb 2021, 12:18
Could understand ALC year round but PMI, strange one!

GAXLN
28th Feb 2021, 13:41
I agree! Something really odd here.....aviation is on its knees but the mayor of Teesside (home of an airport that has been neglected for years and ignored by major airlines) is managing to launch new routes etc. Armchair airline MD/ frustrated plane spotter with public money to spend...

....... and an election he is clearly keen to win! Why go to Palma in the winter when there are far better places in the Canaries and mainland Spain at that time of year? it will be the £9.99 fares that drum up business I guess but they don’t on their own create airline profit.

N707ZS
28th Feb 2021, 14:08
Fares are approx £50 basic each way with only Manchester in competition at the moment in the North.

lbalad
28th Feb 2021, 16:58
If these flights do operate in Winter,I'd be up for a break to Palma.Went a few years back over Christmas,and Palma being the capital was bustling,plenty of bars and restaurants open.Weather was decent too.Of course anyone expecting a boozy Magalluf break will be disapointed.

I think there would be many others too that would enjoy a winter city break to Palma,it's a lovely city.Given there are no flights from LBA in Winter,am sure plenty of other Yorkshire folk would support these flights from Teesside.Not flown from there in years,but it looks like it's going to be a nice little airport once all the terminal refurb is completed.

tigertanaka
28th Feb 2021, 21:29
The choice of Palma over Alicante might seem strange but let’s not discount the possibility of Ryanair getting some sort of subsidy from the Mallorcan government/Tourist Board for bringing in passengers on a new winter route. That way Ryanair would potentially get some sort of support at both ends of the route.

YorkshirePud
28th Feb 2021, 21:30
N707ZS

Wizz also have PMI on sale twice a week for the winter from DSA. Wonder if this has anything to do with Ryanair’s decision to keep the route running through the winter... Good luck to both!

BACsuperVC10
1st Mar 2021, 09:30
N707ZS

Also Easyjet from Liverpool.

HH6702
1st Mar 2021, 22:35
Palma trying to make money after COVID turning its self into a year round city

HH6702
1st Mar 2021, 22:45
Jet2
Ncl to Pmi is showing as operating till end of November and starts again mid February so looks like a longer season

something_diferent
3rd Mar 2021, 14:37
So Teesside Airport now comes under Freeport status. Have to admit, not too sure what this all entails but should now mean the prospect of increased freight through Teesside?

Robert-Ryan
3rd Mar 2021, 15:20
Treasury North to Darlington as well

southside bobby
3rd Mar 2021, 16:45
The area is being love bombed by the Tories with a hope of keeping ya Mayor in charge with the looming local elections in May.

Buster the Bear
3rd Mar 2021, 19:30
Freeport status could turn Teesside airport into an East Midlands type cargo hub. Basically goods imported are tariff free.

Robert-Ryan
3rd Mar 2021, 19:40
We'll get a flight or two if we're lucky, Amazon will be the dominant cargo operator in the long term as they are nailed on to come regardless.

tigertanaka
3rd Mar 2021, 20:23
January CAA stats:

Terminal passengers: 697 - down 93% v prior year.

Aberdeen: 547
Belfast City: 19
London Heathrow: 27

Plus charters:

Norwich: 72
Farnborough: 30

Loads on Belfast (2 flights) and Heathrow (4 flights) are pretty meaningless. Aberdeen appears to be building and was up to 13.7 pax per flight in January (12.8 in Dec, 11.8 in Nov, 10.4 in Oct, 11.8 in Sep, 8.8 in Aug & 6.3 in Jul)

N707ZS
3rd Mar 2021, 23:02
Eastern seem to have dropped the ERJ 145 this week subbing for an ATR and J41 for two days on the Aberdeen.

Fly757X
3rd Mar 2021, 23:22
Both of the ER4s are away operating charters at present and that’s why it’s been subbed temporarily. :ok:

N707ZS
4th Mar 2021, 07:11
Good to hear that, thought they were dropping the ball.

SWBKCB
4th Mar 2021, 07:12
Buster the Bear

Goods are tariff free until they leave the freeport. Not sure how this impacts on the airport, although there are tax breaks for development within the freeport etc. Seem to work best when they encourage the import of raw materials which are then processed in the freeport and then re-exported or imported as a finished products. The counter arguement is that they don't generate growth as existing business just hops over the fence into the lower tax area. Not sure how this benefits the airport (but clearly also isn't a bad thing)

Also, PMI no longer seems to be bookable for winter?

N707ZS
4th Mar 2021, 07:34
Also of note East Midlands has been granted a free port so they won't if ever leave there.

oldart
4th Mar 2021, 08:55
SWBKCB

So how would this affect, say the likes of Amazon? They import goods, re-package them and sell them on. Obviously any increased movements at the airport would be good and might even tempt TNT back.

SWBKCB
4th Mar 2021, 09:04
Is that what Amazon do? The tax breaks on new buildings etc would seem to be the advantage.

P330
4th Mar 2021, 09:16
Yes, PMI now not book able through Winter. A blip, or a correction?

onion
4th Mar 2021, 09:23
oldart

In theory they could operate as a Customs Warehouse.
in which case they could import and store goods duty and VAT free until removal. If removed for export to outside the UK duty and VAT wouldnt be paid. On removals to the UK the duty and VAT is paid.

IP (inward processing) or End Use traders are the real catch.
​The advantages of a free port already exist in single applications for the likes of CW, IP and End use.
All free ports do is bring those advantages into a defined zone, on a simplistic level.

highwideandugly
4th Mar 2021, 11:51
Sorry ..is it the port or the airport some miles away that is the Freeport?

My thought is the airport will have problems filling the new business park south side as new inward companies will locate to the Freeport where they will benefit massively.

If anything it’s a threat not an advantage to TIA ?

oldart
4th Mar 2021, 11:59
According to Gazette live, MME is part of the freeport, as well as ICI Wilton and Hartlepool.

highwideandugly
4th Mar 2021, 12:15
Gazette live?..oh well it must be so..😀

SWBKCB
4th Mar 2021, 12:43
It's a 'virtual' freeport including a number of seperate sites - Teesworks, Wilton International, Teesside International Airport, the Port of Middlesbrough, the Port of Hartlepool, Liberty Steel, LV Shipping and PD Ports.

highwideandugly
4th Mar 2021, 14:01
That explains it..ta!

Buster the Bear
4th Mar 2021, 20:42
https://www.cityam.com/what-are-free-ports-and-what-are-the-economic-benefits/

mmeteesside
4th Mar 2021, 22:08
Will be interesting to see whether the FedEx (who bought TNT) depot will stay long term. I can’t see Teesside getting a flight back in their network, not with the Liege flows being pushed increasingly towards Paris, given NCL already has that link to CDG.

N707ZS
5th Mar 2021, 10:58
FedEx closed their Darlington depot and moved it to the airport.

Gunfighter52
5th Mar 2021, 22:56
Ben has hinted via Facebook that another new route is in the works.

Cautious Optimist
5th Mar 2021, 23:42
It wasn't a hint, he stated as fact another domestic connection is coming

Gunfighter52
5th Mar 2021, 23:50
My apologies for the critical error😐

Cautious Optimist
6th Mar 2021, 00:13
I wasn't having a pop, hope my post didn't come across as such

Gunfighter52
6th Mar 2021, 00:19
Not a problem👍 Where and who is the next question🤔

tigertanaka
6th Mar 2021, 06:41
Bristol has been rumoured for a while.

something_diferent
7th Mar 2021, 23:17
Loganair to Bristol announced in Gazette tonight. One a day Mon - Fri and Sunday.

Also mentions looking to increase London flights - Loganair possibly going into London City as well?

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/loganair-looking-increase-london-flights-19985530

oldart
8th Mar 2021, 08:48
Did the launch flight for Loganair to LHR depart today???

P330
8th Mar 2021, 08:51
I think it was cancelled - don’t know why.

oldart
8th Mar 2021, 08:57
Not a good start then.

Fly757X
8th Mar 2021, 09:24
P330

Operating once daily for the next while so the morning service was cancelled due to this.

P330
8th Mar 2021, 09:35
But I think the morning service today was on sale right until yesterday and remains on sale for tomorrow. There doesn’t appear to be a plan to run a flight this afternoon?

So, to me a morning flight was planned today and was subsequently cancelled.

AirportPlanner1
8th Mar 2021, 09:47
Perhaps not a single person was booked on either flight? If you try a dummy booking for tomorrow no one has selected a seat and they are charging £460 return

Fly757X
8th Mar 2021, 09:49
P330

I checked a few days ago and it was only showing one flight a day for a while anyways. Strange that, perhaps something did indeed go wrong operationally this morning. Sorry for the confusion. :ok:

P330
8th Mar 2021, 09:51
No worries. You’re right that it is a once a day schedule until around May time. Mostly it seems to be a daily morning flight, with the odd day running a PM flight instead.

SKOJB
8th Mar 2021, 10:10
Why stress about a daily flight being cancelled at short notice, there is a pandemic still going on and many flights from airports up and down the country continue to be removed, chill as things will improve!

P330
8th Mar 2021, 10:12
Who is stressing? Someone asked if it ran; I said it looked cancelled. Trust me, I am very relaxed about it all......

SWBKCB
8th Mar 2021, 10:22
So the non-operation of the first flight of a new service isn't of interest?

N707ZS
8th Mar 2021, 13:38
Lack of advertising and who really does want to fly to London, how is BA doing at Newcastle for pax load.
Checked the return ticket prices for both BA and Loganair and they are eye watering. Train wins.

davidjohnson6
8th Mar 2021, 14:47
It's important that on the first day of a new route, the aircraft departs promptly without hiccups
Given advance notice, the local press can often be persuaded to turn up on launch day and give you free publicity in tomorrow's paper..... but if on the planned launch day, while everybody is watching, the aircraft goes tech and it's a no-fly job, then forget about the press coming back tomorrow or writing nice newspaper articles for you

Jamesair1
8th Mar 2021, 16:15
Did the press turn up? if not, they probably knew it was not operating.

SWBKCB
8th Mar 2021, 16:28
a Loganair spokesperson said: "Like all airlines at this time we continually evaluate our schedules, sometimes at a very late point. In these uncertain times customers can and do change bookings at the last minute and this can lead on occasion to passenger loads being unexpectedly higher or lower. Cancellations resulting from this do not affect our ongoing commitment to operate a route.”

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/first-flight-teesside-london-heathrow-19991500

davidjohnson6
8th Mar 2021, 17:20
"First flight from Teesside to London Heathrow cancelled - but airlines remains committed to service" is not a headline the airport wants to see

Saabdriver1
8th Mar 2021, 21:26
Not sure why the big deal. Who exactly was inconvenienced by this?

SWBKCB
8th Mar 2021, 21:36
By the sounds of it, not many - isn't that the point?

Most of the comments in the local press were along the lines of why on earth was it operating in the first place

davidjohnson6
8th Mar 2021, 22:34
Few were inconvenienced, but the headline to me screams out "Bunch of muppets" who were unable to plan ahead and left it to the last minute before finding themselves suddenly caught short - or (as the headline suggests) because someething had gone very wrong. In PR speak, this is a failure of news management.
Instead, a "temporary deferral" should have been quietly announced in the period between Xmas and 01-Jan when hundreds of people were dying each day, everyone was terrified to go out in case they got sick and was instead watching TV at home while nobody wanted to look at the news, with a headline of "Flights deferred due to Govt Covid safety guidelines,etc..." - namely make clear that everyone wanted the flights to go ahead and was ready, but it's all because of Covid safety policies that we have to wait a bit longer.

SWBKCB
9th Mar 2021, 06:03
Instead, a "temporary deferral" should have been quietly announced in the period between Xmas and 01-Jan

Flights weren't announced until 18 January. Doubt whether demand on new domestic routes such as this can be determined very far out but I'm surprised they couldn't drum up a load for the launch of such a high propfile new route.

Today's flight left on time, BTW.

Wallsendmag
9th Mar 2021, 07:00
I'll stick with the train, at least theres one every half hour from Darlington

cavokblues
9th Mar 2021, 07:01
Just randomly looking at prices for this if I were to fly tomorrow from Teeside to Heathrow and return Thursday. £229 each way and the train at similar times from Darlington to Kings Cross is £113 return and only takes 2 hrs 30.

I appreciate the airport is probably underwriting losses and there might a demand for onward travel for Heathrow flights but will business demand really return when things are back to 'normal' when the train is so competitive price and time wise?

N707ZS
9th Mar 2021, 07:17
The Eastern prices were not that much.

cavokblues
9th Mar 2021, 07:23
Also, middle aisle aside which is out of action for Covid reasons, I could book any seat on the aircraft so I assume that means it was more or less empty?

s_insania
9th Mar 2021, 13:37
cavokblues

Drops down to £129 next week, then £109 the week after so it’s more than competitive with the train. When things are slightly back to normal with demand I expect prices will drop slightly further and with the two daily flights that are planned it allows a full days business in the capital.
Loganair aren’t stupid and will know they have to compete against the train fare

highwideandugly
9th Mar 2021, 17:44
Mayor on his face book page beaming about,airport,government jobs,Freeport inward investment and the gazumping of Newcastle!

To be fair ..he’s not a million miles from the truth..but gloating isn’t the right way? I can’t believe north of the Tees aren’t watching with interest!

Budget did nothing for the whole region..just the area around the chancellor!

Fingers crossed all will be back to normal shortly and the whole region will benefit?

tigertanaka
9th Mar 2021, 18:26
The mayor is clearly in full election mode now. He will argue that his record for championing the area, "saving" the airport and getting the freeport should get him re-elected. Maybe we will get some more airport announcements as the election campaign progresses?

If anyone is confident that Jessie Joe Jacobs will win then get down the bookies and you will more than double your money as they are offering 12/5 on Labour in a two horse race.

N707ZS
9th Mar 2021, 21:43
Mayor on his face book page beaming about,airport,government jobs,Freeport inward investment and the gazumping of Newcastle
That's embarrassing comparing the two airports, could come back to bite him or splash back in his face. Think it will be like the last mayoral election day, most people didn't vote.

P330
10th Mar 2021, 11:25
KLM restart pushed back to Mon 5th April.

Once a day until Mon 3rd May then back to 3 x times a day.

Realistically, you would expect this to change again given its illegal to travel abroad without very good reason until at least 17th May.

GrahamK
10th Mar 2021, 13:37
I'd be surprised if KLM return to MME before October tbh

tigertanaka
10th Mar 2021, 14:36
I agree. Although if Loganair get their BA codeshare sorted out it may hasten KLM's return.

Jamesair1
10th Mar 2021, 15:19
The Dutch Govt is now allowing travel between The Netherlands and the UK

N707ZS
11th Mar 2021, 14:20
I see today the airport has acquired more snow clearing equipment, looks a bit triggers broom again but hopefully it works when needed.

P330
13th Mar 2021, 17:31
P330

Changed again.

Restart delayed until 24th May. 3 a day from the start.

Deleted
13th Mar 2021, 21:21
Would be great to see KLM back but LM will take some pax, corporates will be slow to recover and what is on sale is no resemblance to reality so defo a risk to returning. What's on sale is a pipe dream more than 2 weeks out after which EU261 doesn't count. Just look up the road at the number of BA flights on some days in June, 4 a day, I think not. Interesting times

P330
14th Mar 2021, 08:14
Yes, the world will take a long time to recover and even if things are allowed from May and the carrot of normality returns in June, I can’t see scheduled flights being what they were for a long time, if ever.

That said, in my work, I am just waiting for the green light and will be on the move again and so will others in our org. If the Freeport brings in the additional industry projected, then that will increase demand.

Have a holiday using KLM Teesside in August so watching closely. Have not booked car parking or transfers yet pending a last minute switch to Newcastle (or cancelling the whole
lot).

P330
17th Mar 2021, 12:14
Next Wednesday (24th), a new series of Heathrow, Britain’s Busiest Airport starts on ITV.

Of interest is that the arrival of Eastern Airways onto the field late last year will be taking centre stage in the first episode...

N707ZS
17th Mar 2021, 15:40
Series started last Wednesday and so far no sign of the Teesside flight.

highwideandugly
17th Mar 2021, 16:13
Probably cancelled 😀

P330
17th Mar 2021, 18:06
N707ZS

Apologies; should have said next week’s new episode focuses on the inaugural arrival of Eastern Airways....

N707ZS
17th Mar 2021, 18:27
We talked about the Southside recently and from observations nothing is happening at the moment.

highwideandugly
21st Mar 2021, 20:46
Just announced..viewing platform ..Terrace being re instated...great news.

Been a big miss at all airports.Hopefully other airports will follow? Not sure how the security aspect will be addressed? However it works elsewhere.

Cautious Optimist
21st Mar 2021, 21:10
It's just a refurb of the existing view area with the addition of an eight foot platform, it's been open and accessible for years.

mmeteesside
23rd Mar 2021, 20:53
N707ZS

As I understand it things were on hold pending the announcement of the treasury base, and Freeport, as to the exact final design. Assume now that is sorted things will start to happen!?

N707ZS
23rd Mar 2021, 23:19
We know the treasury isn't coming and the freeport isn't the same as the Wilton and river sites, customs only not tax. I think a bit of head scratching will be going on to find a way forward. The road in hasn't been touched which you would think would happen first.

davidjohnson6
24th Mar 2021, 00:17
There's a difference between what HM Treasury would like you to think is coming to Teesside... and what actually is coming to Teesside
You are likely to find that many of the support functions will move to Teesside. The policy making function (i.e. the most important and influential bit) might well stay largely in London

N707ZS
24th Mar 2021, 07:06
David we are talking about the airport. The treasury or its departments are moving to Darlington along with an international trade department. Darlington is very near so the airport should benefit from some traffic.

Wallsendmag
24th Mar 2021, 08:00
As opposed to the govenment owned Train Operating Company servicing London and Darlington every half hour?

onion
24th Mar 2021, 17:50
The airport will benefit from the Treasury and the Department of Trade.

Firstly the staff are asked to use the cheapest methods possible. This includes deciding if they can travel up and down in a day and fore go the cost of an overnight stay and the expense of food claims too!

Secondly how many staff who work in those departments actually live within easy access of a station on the East Coast mainline? Cross rail will bring Heathrow closer and if the LCY starts up again it will be ideally suited to the government offices at Stratford and Canary Wharf.

Thirdly the Department of Trade will have offices in a number if locations, including Belfast and Cardiff, these are locations where surface transport to Darlington is not great. Bring the airport into play.

Yes the new departments wont on their own keep the services going, but they will provide passengers, both inbound and outbound, which can only help.

They will also provide well paid jobs that will hopefully be taken up by people live within the airports catchment area. Who in term will use the airport for leisure reasons.

onion
24th Mar 2021, 17:52
N707ZS

When you say customs only not tax, what do you mean?

SWBKCB
24th Mar 2021, 18:19
Firstly the staff are asked to use the cheapest methods possible. This includes deciding if they can travel up and down in a day and fore go the cost of an overnight stay and the expense of food claims too!

Many govt departments don't allow domestic flights for environmental reasons. I'd be surprised if they are permitted in the Treasury which I understand is driving the carbon zero message across government. Doubt whether flights will beat the train for convenience. I'd also imagine that as belts tighten, travel budgets will be the first to be looked at after people have spent a year working on Teams.

Other points are spot on - no downside to having those jobs local.

Not aware of the point N707ZS is making, but presumably he means that not all the areas of the freeport will get the tax reductions on new buildings and other investments? If so, the other areas of the freeport will jump to the front of the new investment queue ahead of the airport

onion
24th Mar 2021, 18:58
SWBKCB, the convience depends on the meeting or work that been attended.
I know that when it come to travel everything is taken into account, but cost is usually the driving factor to the point it is stipulated to use the cheapest option within budget where possible. On top of that you have to the factor in allowances for food etc.
convience wise it really depends on where the persons home is and the travel from there. There is also a cost involved again as well with that! Such as at what point the working day starts!

Not entirely sure why the airport new builds on the Southside wouldn't be included in the tax (CT, NI, taxes) incentives if they are in the Freeport zone.
We ll see what his point was.

SWBKCB
24th Mar 2021, 20:44
The environmental factor is really important in government now. There are definetly some depts where domestic flying isn't allowed.

oldart
25th Mar 2021, 10:10
So really if that's the case, Boris should have set an example and used the train for his visit to Middlesbrough.

N707ZS
25th Mar 2021, 10:48
There is supposedly differences in the areas of the freeport with ours being over a number of sites, the report has escaped me in my selective browser. Where is our trusted hound when we need him.

The May Hartlepool by election will no doughty produce some more political flying.

SWBKCB
25th Mar 2021, 10:48
You can't compare politicians and your average civil servant.

onion
25th Mar 2021, 22:02
N707ZS

Not sure what that would have to do with the tax?
Also you realise the East Midlands free port is the same in that is over several sites. I haven't checked the other but I'm guessing the Humber one will be over numerous sites too!

tigertanaka
26th Mar 2021, 11:20
February CAA stats:

Terminal passengers: 1,172- down 89% v prior year.

Aberdeen: 973 (down 28% v Feb 20)

Plus charters:

Cardiff: 66
Farnborough: 61
Luton: 72

Loganair went head to head with Eastern on the ABZ route from 1 February but this does not appear to have impacted loads that much (although I suspect that this could well be something to do with the much more aggressive pricing we have seen from both operators). I reckon loads in Feb were 11.3 per flight (based on 86 flights MME<>ABX) compared to 13.7 in Jan (40 flights), 12.8 in Dec (44 flights) and 11.8 in Nov (50 flights).

tigertanaka
26th Mar 2021, 12:30
Loganair applied for 138 weekly slots in the Heathrow lottery and got nothing. Presumably they applied for Teesside, IOM and NQY (lets say 20 slots each) and maybe also LBA (another 20 slots). Still only adds up to 80 slots so where else were they thinking of flying to?

Eastern Airways applied 68 weekly slots and Easyjet Europe wanted 98 but were both also unsuccessful. Shenzhen Airlines are the lucky ones with 4 weekly slots.

highwideandugly
26th Mar 2021, 16:50
And when things! get back to normal...most of these routes/slots will dissipate as major overseas travel recommences,airlines return and normality resumes ....or of course..maybe not🙁

tigertanaka
26th Mar 2021, 18:42
732 slots at LHR confirmed for Summer 2021 - note these do not appear to have legacy rights and are probably on loan (I suspect from BA).

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/762x105/heathrow_slots_d026d41504ac8d45b0d987bef70cc5bc453b6522.jpg

SWBKCB
26th Mar 2021, 19:00
Says S21 rather than Winter?

tigertanaka
26th Mar 2021, 19:59
Typo - I have changed it

P330
30th Mar 2021, 18:55
More KLM changes...

3 x daily start still on the cards from mid-May but then goes to once a day from June through to end of October.

Just had my August flights cancelled; switching to Newcastle instead.

SWBKCB
31st Mar 2021, 19:37
Only Aberdeen and Newquay bookable with Eastern. Newquay flt looks to originate in NQY.

LBIA
31st Mar 2021, 21:51
MME-NQY will be operated on W-leg by a LBA Based Jetstream 41

highwideandugly
1st Apr 2021, 08:04
That’s going to be a money spinner then!

onion
1st Apr 2021, 17:37
As in a money spinner from LBA or MME?

N707ZS
2nd Apr 2021, 07:17
From the local rag, the quoted passenger figures doesn't seem right. I know we have experts here who will know.
Teesside Airport bosses 'optimistic' about covid recovery as multi-million losses narrow - Teesside Live (gazettelive.co.uk) (https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/teesside-airport-bosses-optimistic-covid-20301499)

The local rags also missed out on the first visit of Boris in his new jet to Teesside on 1st April. Might of been its first ministerial use.

P330
2nd Apr 2021, 07:28
I think optimism for a recovery is well placed but the timing needs questioning.

The mood music in the wider rags for normal holidays abroad this year is at best limited, which is a shame for our planned Ryanair and Bourgas routes. That’s not to say later starts won’t happen or domestic flights won’t improve but I suspect 2021 will be another quiet year...

Business and routine travel on KLM will also be well down and who knows when that will actually resume.

(edit: to be fair the mayor says 2021 is a bit of an unknown).

highwideandugly
2nd Apr 2021, 08:44
The real worry is those figures are only up to March 2020...the figures up to March2021 will be a disaster.

Like all all airports..it’s struggling and the figures up to March2022 will be possibly similar?

Don’t forget a massive amount of money has also been spent the in last financial year to get the airport fit for purpose?

SWBKCB
2nd Apr 2021, 08:50
I liked this bit:

And bosses says Brexit trade deals are not expected to have a "significant impact" on the airport's current business plan forecasts.

and this bit:

The latest accounts also detail that the airport was charged management fees of £646,732 from a subsidiary of Stobart while Ms Willard's own firm charged £1,595 in consultancy fees.

southside bobby
2nd Apr 2021, 09:40
Quote..."the local rags also missed out on a first visit of Boris in his new jet to Teesside".

Yes...to go to national photo ops at B&Q !
Political antenna always deployed.

tigertanaka
15th Apr 2021, 09:38
Looks like MME-DUB has been chopped already. Given the situation surrounding foreign travel, hopefully this is just a delay to the start of the route rather than anything more serious. I got a couple of cancellation emails this morning and there looks to be no other flights bookable in the near future.

Cautious Optimist
15th Apr 2021, 11:47
The Mayor has said it is not axed and a new schedule will be announced next week

GrahamK
15th Apr 2021, 21:16
With Eastern?

Cautious Optimist
15th Apr 2021, 21:21
I assume he meant Loganair

AirportPlanner1
15th Apr 2021, 21:29
If an announcement is next week he’s probably thrown some cash at Ryanair or perhaps EIR to do it, some nicely timed publicity for the middle of the election campaign. Why would Logan cancel it only to re-launch next week? Perhaps I’m too cynical

SWBKCB
16th Apr 2021, 06:23
The period of purdah (period of sensitivity) for the Mayoral elections started yesterday - 15/04. I'm no expert but I would have thought a major announcement involving one of the Mayor's major election commitments might be pushing the bounds a bit.

Thought it was interesting that it was left to Phil Forster to comment on the airports involvement in the play “Steel and Iron" last week - that must be a first!

SWBKCB
16th Apr 2021, 08:26
A company spokesperson said: “Loganair is pleased with customer reaction to its planned flying programme for Belfast, Newquay, Jersey, Heathrow and Aberdeen for this summer overall. However demand for its Dublin service, due to start 3 May, has been below expectations. We’ve therefore taken the decision to cancel flying to Dublin this year and very much hope to re-introduce the route for Summer 2022.”
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19235915.loganair-confirms-summer-route-teesside-airport-scrapped/

AirportPlanner1
16th Apr 2021, 08:58
SWBKCB

The local authority certainly couldn’t say anything but don’t believe there is anything to stop a commercial announcement with the Mayor in the picture. It’s not like we don’t see Prime Ministers and MPs doing the rounds of JCB factories etc during elections talking about massive investments

SWBKCB
16th Apr 2021, 10:58
You might be right, I don't know enough about it - but the airport is owned by the local authority and has been a central issue in the mayoral campaign.

N707ZS
16th Apr 2021, 14:10
The local rag is calling Dublin a "summer route" to me that means it's a holiday flight and not as presumed a schedule flight.
Eastern seem to have all but moved out at the airport.

highwideandugly
17th Apr 2021, 19:06
Nothing unexpected..everyone fighting for their political lives!

Said before..all airports are struggling..TIA along with with others has always struggled...the next couple of years are very,very interesting!

The amount of money the mayor has spent on this one project..while the whole area could have benefited ,..looks enormous...Massive pressure to succeed?

highwideandugly
17th Apr 2021, 20:11
Sorry. Ps...seems quiet on the dismantling front? Anyone know what’s next?

SWBKCB
17th Apr 2021, 20:23
highwideandugly

Although things are relative - money spent could have built one, maybe two miles of dual carriageway? He's certainly nailed his colours to the mast, though!

Cautious Optimist
17th Apr 2021, 20:43
I would say the whole area is benefiting; even before Freeport and Government departments moving north the region was on the up. Maybe the other projects are less reliant on financial input than the airport?

toledoashley
18th Apr 2021, 06:57
SWBKCB

Aided by a interestingly cosy relationship with Mr Sunak...

Robert-Ryan
21st Apr 2021, 01:16
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/wheres-teesside-airline-klm-under-20304217

Surprised no-one picked up on this? Bit rich of the Gazette to use a pic of a KLM Embraer at Newcastle...

N707ZS
21st Apr 2021, 05:34
Airport and advertising doesn't seem to function well, unless its a photo of Ben the mayor. Newcastle is always ahead of the game.

N707ZS
21st Apr 2021, 05:39
No one has mentioned Stobart and the airport, the skeleton in the cupboard. The un seen presence that seems to do nothing but presumably gets paid.

SWBKCB
21st Apr 2021, 05:55
Does anybody understand Stobart's role at MME? I think it's about 12 months since there was a public comment from them. Interestingly Carlisle was described as "peripheral to the main focus of our aviation business at London Southend Airport" and it's disposal would "avoid management distraction". Wonder what their view of MME is?

GrahamK
21st Apr 2021, 06:34
Robert-Ryan

What else could they say, visit Middlesborough, land of the Smoggies?

N707ZS
21st Apr 2021, 06:38
That's a poor ignorant comment GrahamK.

SWBKCB
21st Apr 2021, 07:19
This goes back to the old Peel arguement about the airport name, if you're selling the airport as a tourist destination Durham has far more recognition than Roseberry Topping and the Transporter Bridge

Gunfighter52
21st Apr 2021, 08:07
Ryanair starting Corfu 1x Weekly from July.

highwideandugly
21st Apr 2021, 08:10
Hypothetical anyway as KLM haven’t operated for a few months anyway

Jamesair1
21st Apr 2021, 08:21
Despite many other attractions in the Teesside area..... the picture of Durham City will appeal to Dutch incoming tourists and hopefully sell seats.

10 DME ARC
21st Apr 2021, 13:14
Who can blame KLM for getting mixed up! Been marketed solidly for how many years as DTV! KLM wise It's a very small spoke on a massive hub!

Plus as Michael O'leary would say no publicity is bad!

SWBKCB
21st Apr 2021, 19:38
AirportPlanner1

The Mayor has a post on Facebook which is similar to the airports post on the Corfu route, apart from a big picture of a Ryanair tail and "Teesside to Corfu July 2021" and "Vote Ben Houchen on May 6". The comments section is a long lost of places that Teessiders want to go on their holidays. I thought "global connectivity" was about inward investment into the region rather than making it easier to get out of it.

callum91
21st Apr 2021, 20:59
Any type of aviation activity that brings jobs is surely a good thing for the region, no?

SWBKCB
22nd Apr 2021, 06:10
But as highwideandugly asked earlier is the number of jobs supported good value for the amount of taxpayers money being spent?

oldart
22nd Apr 2021, 09:13
What has been achieved at the airport is not bad, considering it was from a virtual standing start. It's a ten year plan, hopefully the jobs will come and more revenue will perhaps bring the airport into profit.

southside bobby
22nd Apr 2021, 09:48
"It`s a ten year plan"...
Unfortunately politicians last nowhere near...

pug
22nd Apr 2021, 10:50
Indeed, and the likely legacy of the current lot in Parliament will be increasingly stringent caps on aviation in the pursuit of ‘carbon neutrality’, meaning that there will be very few viable small regional airports in the next ten to fifteen years.

highwideandugly
22nd Apr 2021, 18:29
Olddart..what has been achieved...less passengers less operating flights,improved terminal Local business input ..compared in general terms to previous years it’s probably around !

These are such strange and unknown times..maybe we need to revisit in 2/3 years and compare?

RA85684
22nd Apr 2021, 20:32
highwideandugly, are you seriously trying to compare the current situation to 18 months ago?

Yes, definitely come back and revisit in 2/3 years. All being well, the airport is shaping up to be in a fantastic position. In another 18 months there should be at least 2 daily Heathrow and Amsterdam as well as multiple daily Aberdeen. Already more than there was. Not to mention at least daily Southampton, Bristol and Belfast, hopefully Dublin as well. That's before we even start mentioning Jersey, Newquay, Palma, Alicante, Bourgas and Corfu.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the likes of Malaga, Tenerife, Dalaman and Faro pop up in the not too distant future and I still reckon a based LCC could be in the pipeline before 2023. They'll be up against hot competition at NCL for Wizzair though

BristolexFlyer
22nd Apr 2021, 22:49
I have to say as much as it would be good for Teesside to succeed, I can’t see many routes standing the test of time. Aberdeen and Amsterdam for non-holiday scheduled with a possibility of Belfast and Heathrow. I just don’t see anything else working. Leisure routes have more potential.

N707ZS
23rd Apr 2021, 07:17
Wonder how they are going to replace the shortfall.

Teesside Airport's 'hated' passenger facility fee to be scrapped within WEEKS | The Northern Echo (https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19252706.teesside-airports-hated-passenger-facility-fee-scrapped-within-weeks/)

southside bobby
23rd Apr 2021, 08:22
...Perhaps from the good burghers of the area...only fair then.

oldart
23rd Apr 2021, 08:36
The sooner they get the South side development finished the better, progress seems to have stopped. The likes of Amazon then might consider bringing their freight traffic to MME for onward transportation to the North East warehouses.

N707ZS
23rd Apr 2021, 09:38
Oldart, all they have done is build a bigger fence, flatten a few bushes and dropped a portacabin. The site seems to be back to the drawing board, lets hope they come up with an aviation project.

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2021, 10:44
Wonder how they are going to replace the shortfall.

Teesside Airport's 'hated' passenger facility fee to be scrapped within WEEKS | The Northern Echo (https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19252706.teesside-airports-hated-passenger-facility-fee-scrapped-within-weeks/)

With the headline saying within weeks, I thought it may be done by the 6 May but apparently the cut off date is 1 June, so presumably the shortfall will be made up from the money they will be making from the Ryanair passengers.

...Perhaps from the good burghers of the area...only fair then.

The airport isn't funded by local council tax, but by the investment funds allocated to the combined authority by central government. Doubt whether the departure tax has had much impact on inward investment decisions.

onion
23rd Apr 2021, 11:21
The fact that the departure tax probably in a good year only brought in less than £500k and realistically probably only brought in £350k it's not a huge money maker! Add to that that last year it probably only brought in £100k it can be absorbed if all that is promised goes ahead.
Ryanair probably demanded it gone anyway!

southside bobby
23rd Apr 2021, 12:24
Highly unusual for RYR to support an airport,in RYR normal construct it has to work the other way round.

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2021, 12:48
Don't think there is any suggestion of that!! :eek:

But Ryanair passengers will be spending on car parking and in the bar, cafe, shop etc. The airport has re-furbished and dedicated a gate and check-in area for RYR flights

davidjohnson6
23rd Apr 2021, 13:03
Ryanair will be operating 5 flights per week from Teesside over the summer. Assuming pax turn up at the airport max 2 hours before departure, and they have to be ready for boarding 30 mins before departure, that leaves no more than about 1 hour dwell time in the airport.

The result is long quiet periods during the day with a 1 hour sudden surge in demand for food / drink. Making coffee or even tea is quite time consuming and labour intensive. Most people are not willing to work a 2 hour shift at near minimum wage. This is not a great business model for a cafe - they prefer to try to spread the demand over the day instead of all the customers coming when staff are potentially stretched to capacity

I wouldn't get too excited about the additional revenue to the airport from food/drink sold to Ryanair pax. Focus should be on car parking instead

onion
23rd Apr 2021, 13:50
Hence the other flights at the airport, including Balkan Holidays, Logan, Eastern and KLM.
Also I'm guessing there are more Ryanair flights to come!

It all adds up.
David stop moaning and start supporting. Rome wasnt built in a day.

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2021, 14:14
davidjohnson6

If you look at many regional airports there are large lulls in activity between the arrival and departures of based units. MME isn't even at that stage yet, and is still very much in the building stage of it's redevelopment and will just have to bite the bullet until a critical mass of passengers develops for all these operations to become profitable.

southside bobby
23rd Apr 2021, 14:36
..."until a critical mass of passengers develops for all these operations to become profitable"....errrr the departure tax is being removed v shortly & of course with more than enough time for The Mayor to receive the favourable publicity in the forthcoming Mayoral but with a likely cash income deficit then...

"We`re able to bin the passenger tax now because Ryanair has given our airport & our region...&c...&c...with the new Corfu flight"...thus has spake the Mayor...He certainly appears to be hitching his wagon to this particular flight & airline...Note...Ryanair modus= they bite (eventually)

"Rome wasn`t built in a day"...No Rome was founded in 753BC & still stands today...How long do we give The Mayor & a likely house of cards then?

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2021, 14:51
It's a ten year (funded) plan. It'd be a major surprise if Houchen isn't re-elected and he will then have another 4 year term

tigertanaka
23rd Apr 2021, 14:59
When the mayor did his Facebook announcement for the Corfu flight he said "..it just goes to show the airport is on the up with more good news coming later this week and next week and the week after..."

I read that as 3 more things, one is the removal of the £6 PFF, can we speculate on what else might be coming up? Loganair/BA codeshare on LHR (would be a big win), more from Ryanair (winter routes, based aircraft for 2022), more from TUI, Wizz/Easyjet, BA double daily to JFK (I am not being serious)...

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2021, 15:18
"..it just goes to show the airport is on the up with more good news coming later this week and next week and the week after..."

Takes us neatly up to the first week in May - maybe there will then be no more announcements for three years and nine months.... :ok:

The Loganair/BA codeshare makes sense, anybody know why it has taken this long? It really is just a 'trophy' route at the moment with out any interlining. Gawd knows after that...

southside bobby
23rd Apr 2021, 15:23
Facebook announcement...
= more constituents considering their vote later this week and next week and the week after...

southside bobby
23rd Apr 2021, 15:27
"It`s a ten year (funded) plan" = To be clear paid for by the UK taxpayer ultimately then.

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2021, 15:30
Yes - comes out of an investment fund supplied from central government. This is why Teesside have been able to fund the recent re-furbishments, etc, etc in a period when most commercial organisations are preserving cash.

Cautious Optimist
23rd Apr 2021, 17:36
Part of Peel's plan to make charter flying viable again was to bring all of this stuff in-house so costs were controlled and 100% of profit went to the airport; and the Xpress Cafe and Premium Lounge that were created to this end as part of the 2017 terminal overhaul (which the Mayor likes to ignore so he can claim his redevelopment is the first in 10-20 years), worked very well indeed for the airport.

Nightstop
23rd Apr 2021, 18:26
Does anyone know where Carol is? She was a Dispatcher/Runner for Servisair Teeside in the ‘80’s and was great to meet on turnarounds, always smiling. She worked often with a girl who had dark hair, whose name escapes me.

N707ZS
24th Apr 2021, 07:28
Looks like Boris borrowed JCBs helicopter this time for another trip to Hartlepool.

oldart
25th Apr 2021, 08:48
The Loganair/BA codeshare makes sense, anybody know why it has taken this long? It really is just a 'trophy' route at the moment with out any interlining. Gawd knows after that..

BA might not want to codeshare as it might take passengers away from their Newcastle route.

N707ZS
26th Apr 2021, 11:55
The mayor seems to have dropped the ball were GA is concerned with the latest blow being Saturday closures in May. The little man could be a great cash cow for the airport if they were to invest in more hangars and basic facilities for GA.

highwideandugly
26th Apr 2021, 17:50
Noticed last Saturday..hardly any movements..I suppose even the mayor needs to watch his pennies.Lots of cash going out and not much, to be honest coming in?

mmeman
27th Apr 2021, 20:41
Are we sure about the Saturday closures? Someone had better tell Loganair - Heathrow flights from 8th May, and Newquay flights from 22nd May and Jersey from 29th.

Also haven't the Saturday's been busy for the based flying schools, probably not generating much income for the airport, but will be important for Eden and Scenic..

N707ZS
27th Apr 2021, 22:15
99% stated as closed.

N707ZS
2nd May 2021, 14:43
Thought the mayor would have come up with another airport announcement before the election.

highwideandugly
2nd May 2021, 15:25
He’s been very quiet?

BA318
2nd May 2021, 16:33
N707ZS

There is usually the purdah period so I don’t think he can. Of course he can announce his intention or desire to do X or Y but for the month or so before he can’t actually announce much as formal decisions.

SWBKCB
2nd May 2021, 17:14
Not sure how Purdah works for the Mayoral elections, but he has definetly been involved in announcements made in the normal period for local elections

tigertanaka
2nd May 2021, 21:33
Purdah effectively kicks in 3 weeks before the election so 15 April. However CFU was announced after that but I guess that’s probably OK, the mayor was publicising something by a private company that was already in the public domain. Different if he was personally announcing the arrival of someone like EasyJet (as an example), I guess the airport MD would do that right now.

SWBKCB
3rd May 2021, 06:46
There's extensive comments from the Mayor on the removal of the passenger facility fee on 23 April - here's a small quote from the Gazette. Doubt whether the people who hated 'the tax' where inward investors to the region...

Mayor Houchen - who is standing as the Conservative (https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/all-about/conservative-party) candidate against Labour's (https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/all-about/labour-party) Jessie Joe Jacobs in the Mayoral election on May 6 - said he had delivered on his pledge to scrap the fee. “When the tax was introduced back in 2010 everyone hated it, it drove passengers to Newcastle Airport and led to airlines leaving Teesside. Exactly what supporters of our airport said would happen," he said.

tigertanaka
4th May 2021, 09:36
March CAA stats:

Terminal passengers: 1,559 - down 70% v prior year.

Aberdeen: 1,328 (up 62% v Mar 20)
Heathrow: 96

Plus charters:

Cardiff: 64
Southampton: 71

Aberdeen is clearly benefiting from a price war between Loganair and Eastern, lets see how things improve as the economy opens up (2,472 pax used the MME-ABZ in March 2018, the last time the two operators went head to head). Heathrow's figures equate to 2.8 passengers per flight in March although this is clearly not helped by the covid related travel restrictions at the time, the lack of a code-share and running only one flight a day.

Alteagod
4th May 2021, 11:29
I don't believe the BHD loads have been earth shattering on LM but I just hope that they persever with the route

highwideandugly
4th May 2021, 12:36
Interesting Heathrow figures..must be costing someone a fortune ?

ted320
4th May 2021, 18:54
Lots of fresh air getting flown in and out! Surley LM aren't covering the significant losses on these routes?

Derry321
4th May 2021, 22:37
I'm from the Durham coast but live in Northern Ireland and fly back and forward every couple of weeks - I REALLY want the BHD-MME route to work but easyJet from International (which for many in the province living outside of Belfast is closer) to NCL is always half the price (sometimes 60-70% less). That's some difference for many in two areas which are not as a whole overly affluent

RA85684
5th May 2021, 21:44
Just had my MME-SOU cancelled for 27th May unfortunately, stating lack of demand

SWBKCB
6th May 2021, 07:22
mmeman

Airport is NOTAM'd open this Saturday (8 May) from 07:00-12:15

something_diferent
7th May 2021, 19:23
With Portugal on the green list, any chance a Ryanair or even TUI look to add a Portugal flight for this summer?

Cautious Optimist
7th May 2021, 21:29
Very likely, Easyjet and even BA have wasted no time doing so at NCL, with capacity at other airports increased greatly as well, but fares have also gone through the roof

N707ZS
12th May 2021, 06:29
World duty free is going to open at the airport another example of keeping things local. The main owner of the company owns a local shooting moor and have flown into the airport for many years.

tigertanaka
12th May 2021, 07:46
I can't think of any domestic airport that has a locally run duty free shop (maybe IOM but I am not 100% sure). World Duty Free is by far the leading operator in the UK (of the decent sized airports here, only LCY, BFS and LTN do not have a World Duty Free presence).

I thought World Duty Free was owned by DuFry which is a listed company in Switzerland but happy to be corrected.

N707ZS
12th May 2021, 10:15
I have miss read my google search, the guy I was thinking about owns a company called DFS. Amazed they didn't ask him.

tigertanaka
12th May 2021, 13:36
Loganair have been tinkering with the timetable:

The evening Heathrow flight now leaves Teesside an hour later at 18:45.
Belfast appears to have moved from a mid afternoon weekday departure to a mid morning. There is now a 4:30 hour gap between it returning to Teesside and then leaving for Aberdeen.
A bit of tinkering with the Jersey & Newquay flights

The new Heathrow timings are strange as an 20:40 departure from there gets you back into Teesside for 21:55 - pretty late for a day trip to London and there will not be much connecting traffic on the route without a codeshare. So does this mean a 3rd daily LHR rotation could be in the pipeline possibly something like MME 1400-1515 LHR returning LHR 1555-1710 MME? Hard to justify based on the recent numbers we have seen but why move it to a worse slot (although I would argue that this is a brilliant slot if you are connecting in London back to Teesside)?

Alteagod
12th May 2021, 14:36
I think the Loganair tinkering is network wide tbh

N707ZS
17th May 2021, 06:34
What happened to the Teesside Eastern staff, they all seem to have been moved out and there is no longer a based aircraft.

Atlantic Explorer
17th May 2021, 20:14
Most of them were made redundant. Looks like they’ve thrown the towel in at MME.

s_insania
17th May 2021, 20:16
The Embraer has been running HUY-MME-ABZ and return with Humberside crew for the past how many months now and will be for the foreseeable.
The original plan was to run them both direct from today but looks like that has been put back.

s_insania
18th May 2021, 08:02
Ryanair announced a new route to Faro twice weekly from 3rd July

Wed/Sat
0900/1205 FR3518 FAO-MME
1230/1535 FR3519 MME-FAO

N707ZS
18th May 2021, 09:58
Is this in addition to the three other routes?

SWBKCB
18th May 2021, 10:40
Yes - it is.

s_insania
18th May 2021, 11:32
Atlantic Explorer

Based aircraft returns in September. Booking system shows double daily from the start of the month

N707ZS
18th May 2021, 16:59
Presume we should be cautiously optimistic on that one s_insania.

tigertanaka
18th May 2021, 17:09
Loganair goes double daily on ABZ on 1 June so let's see if they react earlier than September.

Atlantic Explorer
18th May 2021, 20:42
s_insania

September is a long way off. Any plans for then is just wishful thinking at this stage.

Robert-Ryan
27th May 2021, 08:45
tigertanaka

The Mayor just announced a third daily rotation to Heathrow "due to demand"! Could your monthly estimations of average load factor be wrong (I don't think for one minute they will be)?

mmeteesside
27th May 2021, 08:46
Heathrow announced as going 3x daily this morning. Late afternoon rotation expected to be added although doesn’t appear to be bookable yet, so unsure on start date.

tigertanaka
27th May 2021, 08:46
Great news on the 3d daily MME-LHR. Some CAA stats were doing the rounds on twitter yesterday that implied 210 people on the route in April but they are not on the CAA website yet.

Mayor has said "watch this space" when I asked him about the BA codeshare.

The Flying Stool
27th May 2021, 08:50
I'm absolutely astounded Heathrow is going 3 times daily. The passenger numbers on some sectors could be fitted in a car!

SWBKCB
27th May 2021, 08:55
tiger tanaka

Stats are on the website now.

The airports press release saysLoganair has partnerships with some of the world’s biggest airlines including British Airways, KLM, Air France, Emirates, Turkish Airlines, United Airlines and Qatar Airways amongst others, to provide seamless international travel from Teesside, the North East and North Yorkshire and this announcement will give global travellers even more options when flying from Teesside as coronavirus restrictions ease.

So what is happening with code shares?

Robert-Ryan
27th May 2021, 09:03
The codeshare is clearly problematic, Eastern couldn't pull it off and Loganair (who are a far stronger airline) are clearly struggling given it's not something that takes three months and counting

SWBKCB
27th May 2021, 09:07
So why are the airport talking about "seamless international travel"?

oldart
27th May 2021, 09:12
This was also stated.
The agreements mean passengers can travel on one ticket for their entire international journey, via Heathrow, and have the benefits and reassurance of through check-in and through luggage to their final destination, along with protected connections in the event of delays.

SWBKCB
27th May 2021, 09:20
Isn't that a code share agreement?

tigertanaka
27th May 2021, 10:00
3rd rotation starts on 12 July apparently.

There is a big difference between interlining (as per the original press release) and codesharing. Interlining basically allows your bags to be routed through the connecting airport without unloading/rechecking and also protects your connection if the first flight is delayed (ie you get put on the next flight) but prices are normally crazy. A codeshare on MME-LHR would have the baggage & protected connections but would be sold on a BA flight number and you could book this flight on BA.com, get Executive Club Tier Points/Avios and connect to anywhere on the BA network for a similar price to what you would pay ex-NCL.

I wonder if the codeshare delay is down to BA rather than LM or the airport. Timetables are all over the place right now and taking on another codeshare route (a huge pricing exercise anyway) would cause BA more headaches when they move other flights around. Perhaps they are waiting for things to return to some sort of normality?

SWBKCB
27th May 2021, 10:05
Right, thanks :ok:

tigertanaka
28th May 2021, 17:19
Ryanair have put Alicante on sale for the winter season. Great times on the way out but it's an early flight on the way back to Teesside....

MME 0910-1305 ALC (Mon)
MME 0830-1225 ALC (Fri)
ALC 0650-0845 MME (Mon)
ALC 0610-0805 MME (Fri)

tigertanaka
28th May 2021, 17:40
April CAA stats:

Terminal passengers: 1,887 - (no passengers in April 2020)

Aberdeen: 1,449
Heathrow: 167
Belfast City: 87

Plus charters:

Bournemouth: 66
Exeter: 28
Luton: 90

There were also 459 transfer passengers not included in the above figures (presumably Eastern passengers on the ABZ route to/from HUY).

I reckon ABZ is running at 15.4 pax per flight (20.3 if you include the HUY pax), this is up from 12.3 in March (19.9 inc HUY pax). 167 passengers to/from LHR is still a shocking 3.3 people per flight although there was only one rotation per day in March (also note that LHR reports 209 passengers on the MME route). 5.4 passengers per flight on Belfast.

highwideandugly
28th May 2021, 20:14
Can someone please offer information on who is financing these flights?
Is it Loganair or the mayor? This whole charade is haemorrhaging money for someone..please tell me..what exactly is the point?

Global warming anyone?🤔

Skipness One Foxtrot
28th May 2021, 20:52
It's a loss leader, nothing ununsual, pain today for the promise of better days tomo. After 21 June, depending how fast LHR gets back on it's feet, the route may take off or simply die a quiet death, but they are trying to connect the region to the world, this is a challenge as the world is currently closed. If they don't try now, they may not get another go. It's a very North/South clash, one says "Better to try and fail than not to try at all."

The impact of this on the climate is completely immeasurable, I wouldn't sandbag the garden just yet.

N707ZS
1st Jun 2021, 07:03
A historic day today at Teesside with the return of Ryanair to Mallorca. Sunclass with a football charter for the Euros and Easyjet training all on the same day.

toledoashley
1st Jun 2021, 16:47
What were the numbers like on the Ryanair flight?

tigertanaka
1st Jun 2021, 17:55
When I checked on Ryanair,com yesterday it looked like 50 seats had been pre-booked on the MME-PMI leg. Of course some don't pay for a seat but there will also be no-shows.

N707ZS
2nd Jun 2021, 11:57
Mayor forecasting a Ryanair base in his seven year deal.

This is what the long-term plan is for Ryanair at Teesside Airport | The Northern Echo (https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19343237.long-term-plan-ryanair-teesside-airport/)

N707ZS
6th Jun 2021, 13:07
Had a couple of days away and SOME CLOWN at the airport has changed the carpark and not clearly advertised the fees.

Convair 440
6th Jun 2021, 14:39
what`s the new system etc at the car park i went go in last night noticed no machine to issue tickets and the barrier went up
i reversed back out as there no instructions on how the system works other than directions to non existing short stay car park

SWBKCB
6th Jun 2021, 15:33
So have the fees changed from those on the website (as was rumoured to coincide with the departure tax going), or something else?

Doctor Cruces
6th Jun 2021, 16:16
It's tragic to see the way MME has declined over the years. When I worked there for British Midland we had four rotations a day to LHR (Mon-Fri) with very high load factors, (IIRC we did a couple on the week end as well) Jersey flights every week end in summer and IOM too. Ostend on a Saturday evening, direct flights to Amsterdam with Dan Air, Dan Air doing MME-MAN-BRS-CWL and return twice a week, the Air Anglia NWI-MME-ABZ and return daily (Mon-Fri) plus many charters on a daily basis (Canaries, Balearics and Italy) Mostly handled by BMA with the airport doing the odd one or two here and there. Probably missed some out but it was a lo o o o o ng time ago. It would be nice to see some life there again.

tigertanaka
7th Jun 2021, 07:45
Convair 440

When I used it last week, I pre-paid. On arrival, no ticket was issued (change from previous) and when leaving the barrier was supposed to read the number plate and open automatically. This did not work so I pressed the button and was let out without any questions! Clearly some teething problems as the chap using the other exit barrier was having similar issues getting out.