PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - 9

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

danielsirrom
4th Sep 2013, 17:02
We use Ryanair regularly to fly into Knock for visiting family. We take on roll on bags and buy no extras. I always find, if you ask in a friendly manner, a member of ground staff will tip you the wink wrt the gate number before it's displayed on the boards enabling us to effectively priority board (after the 3 or 4 priority boarders!) They have never let us down, we're always on time and I find the staff friendly and professional.

Now when it comes to our family holidays we do not even consider Ryanair, this Summer we paid a higher fare and flew at a less sociable time with Thomson to Malaga.

It's weird I guess, but I just will not trust "that man" with our precious summer holiday.

racedo
4th Sep 2013, 17:08
I suspect the CH 4 court case will have more viewers than "who shot JR...Dallas?"

I very much doubt it will see the inside of a court room.................Counsel will advise on viability of a case and Insurance companies who would end up funding Liability insurance will act accordingly.

racedo
4th Sep 2013, 17:22
and Ryanair hit the lowest August load factor. Back in 2002 they where 95% full in August, in 2012 it is down to 88%. By January the loadfactors could be in the high 60%s

The hyper-lowcost model has had its day. Easyjet have fuller planes and are starting to allocate seats.

A small change in Load factor makes a big change in profits. I am sure that the C4 programme will take 0.5% off those who are happy to fly with MOL. The worst case for MOL is that he takes C4 to court and C4 manage to show in court that Ryanair cuts corners on safety.

You know Befree we miss you because when a negative story on earnings appear you only seem to want to post.......

Forecast of 1 year ago above to put it into context.

The claim of 1/2 % off load factor because of C4 is laughable as how many people actually saw C4 programme ?

Being a UK centric person you seem to assume the Miguel and Maria in Porto flying to Dole in France
1.) know who C4 is
2.) Care
3.) speak english to have understood it
4.) would have even have watched the program
rather than being more interested in the return flight in October for €150 to see family.

RAT 5
4th Sep 2013, 18:08
I very much doubt it will see the inside of a court room.................Counsel will advise on viability of a case and Insurance companies who would end up funding Liability insurance will act accordingly.

MOL has made a great show about this and sacked a longterm captain. He has said things that have tied his colours to the mast. If he backs down and does not fight his case it will say volumes for the unheard truth. Can he take that risk? Equally, can he take the risk to allow exposure in depth? Interesting decision times for the board. It is not a solo flight by MOL, but he has started the engine and asked for taxi. Will his other ATC colleagues allow takeoff?

racedo
4th Sep 2013, 20:48
MOL has made a great show about this and sacked a longterm captain. He has said things that have tied his colours to the mast. If he backs down and does not fight his case it will say volumes for the unheard truth. Can he take that risk? Equally, can he take the risk to allow exposure in depth? Interesting decision times for the board. It is not a solo flight by MOL, but he has started the engine and asked for taxi. Will his other ATC colleagues allow takeoff?

I'm talking about Dispatches lawsuit.

I am not commenting on dismissal case.

ReallyAnnoyed
4th Sep 2013, 21:13
Befree slates Ryanair at every opportunity, but you are not any more credible, racedo, as you seem to be the PR department of Ryanair.

racedo
4th Sep 2013, 22:06
Face

Any reason for the snide personal attack ?

Bengt
5th Sep 2013, 06:52
pee:
To my mind, some three months in advance the fares on many routes used to be simply too high, many pax could have decided to buy elsewhere. Thereafter, maybe two month before the flight day, fares do drop significantly... too late for many old customers who got used to act "the sooner the better". Making the impact on yields?

I also believe FR has priced itself too high relying on the belief that people will book anyway as Ryanair is the cheapest.
Travelling regularly from Sweden to Barcelona FR has been the best value for money for me the last three years. This year however it changed as ticket prices were raised from €200 return to €350..
So I booked Vueling for the first time and will travel with them three returns this year...
Later FR lowered the prices so if I booked a July trip in June I would get the "usual" €200.
The pricing policy had obviously changed. Earlier years (at least on the NYO-BCN and NYO-GRO route) you would see a low price when tickets were released. The price would increase slowly and then 3-8 weeks in advance a the usual SALE would be on. In the summer there usually was no sale for the Meditteranean destinations except maybe for the Wednesday very late flight...
Long rant, but I think this policy change has cost FR a lot of revenue...

Capetonian
5th Sep 2013, 07:49
Since MoL's PR representative, Racedo, appears to be active on this thread, and chose to throw a comment at me the other day for referring to MoL in the following terms, I'll bite.
He is a slimebag of note, and I despise the way he does business, Racedo's question to me was :Why call someone that when you don't know him ? Saying I despise the way someone does business is not a personal attack. It's my view of his ethics, or in this case, lack of ethics. I also, but of course Racedo chose not quote this part, have often said that I admire MoL for running one of the world's most succesful and profitable airlines with (up to now) an enviable safety record.

I called him a slimebag of note. That is derogatory, but accurately describes someone who has the skill to deflect all the negative comments made about him and all the flack that heads his way and to sit in press conferences calm, composed, and unphased.. For that too, I admire him.

Why call somethat when I don't know him? First of all, Racedo, how do you I don't know him? Assumption on your part. OK, I don't, although I have met him at an industry conference or two, and as it happens if I met him socially, I would probably like him, he's probably a very witty and pleasant person with whom one could have an intelligent conversation and a laugh. But I still depsise him for his business practices.

I didn't know the late Pol Pot, or Adolf Hitler/Schickelgruber, or Frederick West, or Nicolae and Elena Ceaucescu, or turning to those still (regrettably) alive, Robert Mugabe, but I think it is fair to say, without fear of contradiction, that they are rather unpleasant mass murderers.

MoL has deliberately created his own image, and even if 80 million people a year choose to travel on his airline because it seems cheap or goes where no-one else does, it's largely a negative image.

befree
5th Sep 2013, 08:43
We are very close to the end of Ryanair growth phase. In August FR passenger growth was 1%. Over the rolling year Growth was only 2%. Looking at Easyjet they are still growing, charging higher fares and not having loads of bad press.

Ryanair are not going to vanish but they are now needing to get use to be fully grown.

racedo
5th Sep 2013, 12:00
We are very close to the end of Ryanair growth phase. In August FR passenger growth was 1%. Over the rolling year Growth was only 2%. Looking at Easyjet they are still growing, charging higher fares and not having loads of bad press.

Course ignoring NOT flying many routes in winter which they stated was the plan and it worked.

Funny load factor not commented on when you big on it last year.

Ryanair are not going to vanish but they are now needing to get use to be fully grown.

You may have missed the bit about ordering more planes.

pee
5th Sep 2013, 13:10
"Ryanair needs to change from being a cost-aggressive, confrontational airline into being a more corporately, caring, sharing company".

Guess who said it? MOL himself, some four years ago.

What else did he say? "I'm very good at running an airline which has very low costs, is very punctual and delivers what it says on the tin, but I don't have the skill set to make us warm and loved."

There is at least one good reason to implement the face-lifting procedure even from MOL's point of view. Less pax flying, the unit costs growing. Why not try?

MARKEYD
9th Sep 2013, 07:47
Any reason why Ryanair have taken off sales for the winter programme from Bournemouth Airport ?

Please say they are not pulling the plug again after a much anticipated re launch of flights this winter

DublinPole
9th Sep 2013, 08:10
A few routes have been removed from sale but I know people booked on some of them and they've got no cancellation emails for them.

Warsaw - Dublin is also gone.

A and C
9th Sep 2013, 09:04
The Ryanair management issued a proffit warning last week as passenger bookings have been disappointing for the next few months.

While Ryanair is a long way from going into the red there is speculation in the business pages of the newspapers that the policy of drip feeding the customers with charges as they go through the online booking prosess and other add on charges are turning passengers away in favour of other airlines that offer a more transparent booking system.

The speculation seems to be that the Ryanair attitude to customer service is driving away all but the passengers who deliver the lowest yeald in total revenue and the likes of Easy Jet and Norwegian are benefiting from this change in customer attitude.

Kingfisher
9th Sep 2013, 09:32
You would have to have a heart of stone no to laugh.

anothertyke
9th Sep 2013, 10:14
I recall MOL saying five years ago that RYR would be super strong in recession conditions. People would be counting every penny, reining in.... He was right. Maybe, just maybe, we are over the worst now and the flipside of that will kick in. In a world where perceptions are all, it would be dangerous to allow the perception that it's worth paying 20% more to go easyjet or Norwegian to go unchallenged, especially when the booking experience on their websites is so much more pleasant.

Skipness One Echo
9th Sep 2013, 10:15
Ryanair grow up? With MOL in charge? * stamps foot and chucks toys from pram in fit of pique, er free publicity I mean.

pee
9th Sep 2013, 12:24
The self-confidence and high self-esteem voiced by some successful big enterprises could be really dangerous for them. Look at Nokia. The key to success of any business is, among else, an ability to react swiftly to the changing circumstances. Nokia's might was built upon the cellular phones, remember? Well, it's over now! A few years ago their strategy was far too conservative. As a result, just trying to survive, they will not produce mobile phones anymore.

Many of us here pointed out that there was a need for changes in Ryanair's otherwise brilliant no-frills concept. Even by searching this forum one could find some good tips and solutions. No matter if read here or elsewhere, all need for gradual transformation has been presumptuously disregarded. Well, the success story continues in spite of that, but for how long?

Recently we have observed an attempt by Ryanair to rise the level of fares. It's a logic move and probably a necessary one. However, nothing significant was done in advance to facilitate the move, to sweeten the pain felt at least by the price-conscious consumers. Constantly visible blatant attitudes make even harder to explain and motivate these rises. The (very subtle) signs of clients' annoyance could have been in fact detected much earlier.

Still far from Nokia's disaster, Ryanair cannot afford to oversleep, if the success story should continue.

EI-BUD
9th Sep 2013, 12:47
The key to success of any business is, among else, an ability to react swiftly to the changing circumstances. Nokia's might was built upon the cellular phones, remember? Well, it's over now!

Pee, fully agree with your comments here. However, FR will need to establish exactly what is the reason for a drop in bookings, rather than rely on speculation. Despite being quite proud of Ryanair's success as an Irishman, I simply don't and will not use them anymore. No need for discussion on that one. If the reason for a drop in bookings is as suggested about customer service, this is a little more difficult to 'react swiftly to'. Hence, the importance of appropriate diagnosis.

MOL will possibly as they used to do, respond with lower prices....

EI-BUD

MCDU2
9th Sep 2013, 14:21
FR is now a mature business and as such is entering into a new phase of its life cycle. As with any big business it's time for a regime change. MOL has said it numerous times himself yet he still won't let go of the reins. Their inability to deal properly in the geo political sphere has highlighted this over he past 5 years. They need to start playing the game in order to get what they want. Constantly banging heads with civil servants will only get you so far.

eu01
9th Sep 2013, 19:20
Ryanair will return to Warsaw Modlin one month earlier than expected, beginning Sept. 30th. More details at the press conference tomorrow.

ayroplain
10th Sep 2013, 12:40
There has often been criticism of FR's booking system and rightly so - for example, there should be an option to bypass all the other optional extras once a flight has been selected and go directly to the payments page. Frequent travellers would greatly appreciate this as we never have any interest in any of them.

However, my query relates to online check-in where so much other information has to be entered (in addition to having to refuse all the other extras again). It must be a nightmare for families or groups.

The info requested is:

DOB
Nationality
Passport No.
Passport Country of issue
Passport Expiry Date

Can anyone explain the reason why all this info is required. No other airline I fly with asks for this info. Is there some legal requirement involved? Despite the warning that all the info you have input will be checked as you board it is perfectly obvious that this never happens.

I'm not interested in any sarcastic responses from the usual suspects - just plain info.

davidjohnson6
10th Sep 2013, 13:45
Do the various European Govt immigration / border agencies requirements perhaps have anything to do with it ?

UK Border Agency | Advance information on passengers (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/customs-travel/beforetravel/advanceinfopassengers/)

pee
10th Sep 2013, 13:54
online check-in where so much other information has to be entered (in addition to having to refuse all the other extras again). It must be a nightmare for families or groups.
It is, believe me. Additionally you have to start the check-in sessions for groups over and over again (dividing into parts of 3-4 people). The standard htpps connection ends far too soon, all the data entered lost.
Do the various European Govt immigration / border agencies requirements perhaps have anything to do with it ?
Poor Ryanair. Why they require only them to send all this information. Additionally, FR demand all this information also on flights between the Schengen countries. Who else?

Capetonian
10th Sep 2013, 14:07
easyJet also require APIS information, at least for flights to and from UK, I can't remember about internal Schengen flights as it's been a while since I booked one, preferring to do my European travel by rail where possible.

I think it's laziness on the part of the programmers. Whereas is it is not always required, programming the system to only ask for it where it is mandatory would require extra coding, so they put the onus on the pax by saying it must always be provided.

Jamesair
10th Sep 2013, 15:04
British Airways require this information as well

Transportraition
10th Sep 2013, 15:22
................... so there we are - let's just get on with it and go flying !

eu01
10th Sep 2013, 16:09
From the easyJet website:API is currently required on the following routes:

all international flights to/from the UK (including routes to/from Germany from 8th April 2013)
flights to Spain from UK and Morocco
flights to Italy from Morocco and Egypt
flights to Switzerland from Kosovo, Turkey and Morocco
flights to Germany from Morocco
flights to Portugal from the UK
flights to Russia

And indeed, on the routes between the Schengen countries API is NOT required. But please, do not accuse Ryanair of malice. As the process of omitting API data would require some changes to the website booking system, it would involve some costs. Paying the software provider for something like that? No way! :}. Could be as simple as that.

ayroplain
10th Sep 2013, 17:07
British Airways require this information as well
Not between UK and Ireland they don't. BA online check-in takes all of 2 seconds with no info to fill in. Looks like it is a one-size-fits-all then by FR as suggested. Thanks to those who replied.

Capetonian
10th Sep 2013, 17:11
I booked an easyJet flight from Jersey to Liverpool recently, I don't remember if they asked for APIS data but it is stored in their system anyway and when it asks for it I just have to confirm that the details are correct.

Jersey is not EU but I am sure APIS is not required.

racedo
10th Sep 2013, 22:08
Quoting Irelands version of Private Eye satirical but definitely not in same league, not even in same field is funny.

This artile was also alongside the article this Italics is answer made in May..

John Goss, The Pilot That's Making Ryanair Tremble - La Libre May 2013 Article - J (http://www.scribd.com/doc/143457932/John-Goss-The-Pilot-That-s-Making-Ryanair-Tremble-La-Libre-May-2013-Article-J)

What is your opinion about all those polemics concerning Ryanair "fuelminimum policy" (Mayday emergencies in Spain)? Is this a fact? Have youbeen already facing that kind ofissues? Is Ryanair a safe carrier?

I only comment on flight safety issues through the established and confidential safetyreporting channels and to the aviation safety authority.

compton3bravo
11th Sep 2013, 05:35
Best not to rock the boat then Racedo or else you might find yourself out of a job!

pee
11th Sep 2013, 05:53
@Facelookbovvered. Thank you for the link. Let me quote this phrase:

"Ryanair needs a change at the top, with the operations team continuing to run a tight cost control programme while the marketing team is allowed to change Ryanair’s public profile to a softer, consumer-friendly one."

racedo
11th Sep 2013, 08:10
Best not to rock the boat then Racedo or else you might find yourself out of a job!

The highlighted words are those of Mr Goss in May not me............

lexoncd
11th Sep 2013, 19:49
Nokia is quoted as an example of how the public can switch to newer technology. Blackberry is another but interestingly nobody mentioned how Starbucks reputation and public perception changed almost overnight following revelations about their Corporation tax policies. They weren't breaking any rules however in front of the Commons select Committee they simply didn't put their message over as well as others

Mol isn't daft.He's a shrew businessman who developed Ryanair into a successful airline carrying 80 million a year opening routes that other legacy carriers wouldn't consider. He changed the way the airline business is run and whilst some here don't like certain aspects of their operation, it has worked.

He has stated that there will come a time for him to leave. My personal view is that time will be when his departure will see not see the share price fall as Apple shares did by over 5% when Steve Jobs died but rise as Microsoft shares did by 8% when Steve Ballmer announced he was leaving. Two successful organisations with changes at the top. Whenever the day comes as it eventually must is it will be interesting to see how the markets react and perhaps see if a new head reviews some of the aspects of the Ryanair operation. It appears from a casual look at twitter feeds on Ryanair that with just 11 flights cancelled in August this positive message isn't mentioned anywhere and is overlooked by most of the public who focus instead on comments about the airline they should be concerned about as at the very least thats an indication of market sentiment.

racedo
12th Sep 2013, 17:34
BBC News - Daily Mail publisher settles Ryanair libel (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24060269)

Daily Mail folds on C4 Dispatches program with apology.

lexoncd
12th Sep 2013, 20:28
Quietly done too i think all things considered. Sure Mol would rather focus on 2013/14 and not the distraction of court proceedings.

pee
13th Sep 2013, 09:19
The news: Ryanair increases its investments in Lithuania
Ryanair is expanding its aircraft maintenance activity in Kaunas Airport, with a planned investment of EUR 1.6m, which will allow the servicing of twice as many aircraft.

The company intends to employ 40 additional aviation mechanics.

Ryanair opened its Kaunas airport base in 2010 and MRO facility in 2012 and currently employs almost 50 people. In the beginning of this year Ryanair invested more than EUR 3m in a new aircraft maintenance and repair hangar in Kaunas.
Quoted from: balticbusinessnews.com (http://balticbusinessnews.com/article/2013/9/13/ryanair-invests-in-the-expansion-of-kaunas-aircraft-maintenance-unit)

FRatSTN
16th Sep 2013, 09:17
Heard today that MAG Stansted are expected to announce a long-term agreement over landing charges with Ryanair.

Anybody know anything more about this?

FRatSTN
16th Sep 2013, 14:19
http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-agrees-10-year-growth-deal-at-Stansted

4 NEW ROUTES (BORDEAUX, DORTMUND, LISBON & RABAT)
43 BASED AIRCRAFT (UP FROM 37)
2,000 WEEKLY FLIGHTS (UP FROM 1,800)
14.5M PASSENGERS (UP FROM 13.2M)

Also three other new routes from Lisbon from this November to Brussels-Charleroi, Frankfurt-Hahn & Paris-Beauvais.

Jack1985
16th Sep 2013, 17:47
Just seen what I think is Ryanair's first ever TV advert? Just broadcast during RTE's Six-One News. Completely undercutting Aer Lingus' fares to the UK & Europe. Also to point out a very cheap advert. But it seems Aer Lingus recent success is forcing them to do this?

EI-BUD
16th Sep 2013, 19:51
The advert is very surprising on peak evening television, stinks of desparation in my view and an overall feeling the overall the Winter season will be tight for all concerned.

I am reminded as to why I now never fly Ryanair, despite being really proud of its achievements as an Irishman, I have pledged I wont fly them again, after what can only be described an awful service flying to Oslo from Stansted recently.

But this is my view, and FR one less frequent flier on their airline....

racedo
16th Sep 2013, 20:25
The advert is very surprising on peak evening television, stinks of desparation in my view and an overall feeling the overall the Winter season will be tight for all concerned.

So advertising on TV is "desperation".....................Why do EI advertise on TV then for years ?

Great thing about when nobody spending money on TV advertising...........very cheap to buy airtime.

I have pledged I wont fly them again, after what can only be described an awful service flying to Oslo from Stansted recently.

You can always fly BA from LHR as they never have any problems:rolleyes:

EI-BUD
16th Sep 2013, 20:32
Thanks for the advice Racedo, I certainly could fly BA via LHR but I actually prefer DY to LGW from Oslo. Excellent service and a great price too.

j636
16th Sep 2013, 20:33
They has done tv before a few times. Not very often but increased advertising was noted during the last conference call.

Cyrano
18th Sep 2013, 10:30
Now this (http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0918/474932-ryanair-aims/) is interesting:

Ryanair aims to become more user-friendly with a simpler website and co-operation with travel agents, in a cultural revolution for the airline that pioneered low-cost travel with minimal customer service.
The airline plans to announce a website revamp at its AGM in Dublin on Friday, chief executive Michael O’Leary said.
Michael O’Leary said he is also prepared to sell tickets via travel agents rather than solely through Ryanair’s own mechanisms, targeting one area where rival EasyJet has made the running by linking with corporate buyers to add business fliers.

pee
18th Sep 2013, 11:20
^^ Wow! Incredible! But that's the way to go!

(my timid question) Any form of connecting flights? Sometimes unbelievable happens...

SealinkBF
18th Sep 2013, 11:44
The more things change the more they stay the same...

compton3bravo
18th Sep 2013, 14:32
Surely somebody could not be feeling the heat? No. they couldn´t could they?

Shed-on-a-Pole
18th Sep 2013, 15:17
Well the website improvements can't come soon enough. Last week I had to abandon attempts to book MAN-AGP because the 'Mastercard' advert on the website kept freezing with the result that the 'Captcha' slogan remained stubbornly obscured. Tried the audio alternative but this is close to incomprehensible with strange rapid-fire computerised voices and loud clanking noises in the background. I can understand the rationale behind hosting this advertising, but if it freezes and prevents the booking process from progressing then it requires a serious rethink.

toledoashley
18th Sep 2013, 15:58
Instead of the current capatcha situation, maybe you should have to register to a user account like easyjet has, and for them to introduce a form of two factor authentication when sends a secondary passcode to your mobile.

Shed-on-a-Pole
18th Sep 2013, 16:07
Please no! I had a nightmare trying to make an EasyJet booking because their website had linked my e.mail address to the name of an elderly neighbour for whom I had previously made an online booking to Spain. Their website wouldn't let me book a ticket for myself in my own name, instead insisting I use "my account". Let's just get all these IT halfwits and their crazy concepts out of the airline booking process altogether. Memo to MOL and Ms McCall ... it is much cheaper to NOT pay self-proclaimed IT gurus to screw things up with their 'genius innovations'!!! If I am a willing customer and I'm good for the funds, then for gawd's sake just let me book a ticket without all these ridiculous roadblocks. Is this too much to ask? KEEP THE PURCHASING PROCESS SIMPLE.

racedo
18th Sep 2013, 17:23
Surely somebody could not be feeling the heat? No. they couldn´t could they?

If that were the case then why would they have ever bothered expanding.......afterall the 1st EI bid was about creating a group carrying 50 million people a year.

Change is consistent.

Skipness One Echo
18th Sep 2013, 17:43
Regarding the highest point of FR operations at STN, how many based B737, which year and does this get them back to that high point?

FRatSTN
18th Sep 2013, 18:12
Peak was 2007 with 15 million passengers and I believe with 43 aircraft but could be wrong on that one.

2014 will be very close to Ryanair's peak at Stansted in 2007. That record will probably be broken in 2015.

grafity
18th Sep 2013, 20:29
Ryanair Pushing Customer Focus Lets O?Leary Confront IAG - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-17/ryanair-pushing-customer-focus-lets-o-leary-confront-iag-threat.html)

Reading this, I get the impression that Ryanair has finally realised that they're needlessly irritating passengers, to the point where, if their prices run close with other airlines, passengers will generally choose to fly the other airline to save themselves the grief.

I wonder are we looking at a full shift in PR tactics, towards their passengers? Is it time for O'Leary to take another trip back to Southwest, have a closer look at the marketing and PR side of things?

For a company that's obviously had a massive growth rate over the previous years, and which is now reportedly stalling somewhat, it would seem that they need some sort of rejuvenation to help kick it off again.

As they say, a smile doesn't cost anything! :}

Capetonian
18th Sep 2013, 20:41
I am making a booking from BHX - BCN for 04 OCT.

Ryanair : £17
Monarch : £70

The difference in timing is not a factor. I will gladly pay the extra £53 to travel on Monarch, not that they are fantastic. Part of that difference will disappear with Ryanair's check in fees and so on anyway.

It was only a matter of time before they looked at alternative distribution channels.

racedo
18th Sep 2013, 20:41
All the same it is to be welcomed if there is a change going on here and it will stop Racedo having to defend the indefensible,

Face
If you want to make a post then do so................I have no requirement to be added to one of your posts in a snide way to puff up your post. You made a point when asked on it before and I accepted what you said and left it at that.

Make the point but leave the personal stuff out of it.

NickBarnes
18th Sep 2013, 21:14
Now this is the thing on the argument on ryanair, this is from personal experience, I asked a few family and friends who they preferred to fly with knowing they had flown ryanair in the past, they all said easyjet or another airline, why I asked, because of service, the charges, and some even said they preferred the easyjet aircraft, from my experience I have to agree so much so I chose to travel to Gatwick and fly with easyjet to kefalonia rather than using Stansted and ryanair, I live in Norfolk, might seem silly but easyjet came out 30 pound cheaper so with fuel works out the same. I used to fly with ryanair all the time but now it would be easyjet, norwiegian or even BA, and from what I can see this is alot of people's feelings, they only fly ryanair if they have too.

So really I hope ryanair can change their attitude, look at where things might be putting people off, general service and win people back, because I nor anyone would want to see any airline in trouble, (which I know ryanair isn't close to being yet) because those are people's jobs and livelihoods who are employed by the airline.

So I hope things change, but at the moment it seems people would rather fly with someone else.

daikilo
18th Sep 2013, 21:25
Unless Mike and Willie are colluding we can be sure that it will be a blood-bath, and may the one who best pleases the customer win.

Charlie Roy
18th Sep 2013, 21:27
(my timid question) Any form of connecting flights? Sometimes unbelievable happens...

And what about code-sharing? Is that what should be understood by: "is open to co-operation with long-haul carriers"?
Once the captcha disappears I'll already be a lot happier :ok:

grafity
18th Sep 2013, 21:47
Unless Mike and Willie are colluding we can be sure that it will be a blood-bath, and may the one who best pleases the customer win.

There does seem to be, a weird bit of lick arsing towards Willie, by O'Leary.(no pun intended :\) It would be interesting to know where he's going with it though.

Dry wretched thunder
19th Sep 2013, 08:29
'Drunk' passengers thrown off Ryanair Prestwick to Ibiza flight | Glasgow & West | News | STV (http://news.stv.tv/west-central/239977-drunk-passengers-thrown-off-ryanair-prestwick-to-ibiza-flight/)

This reported by STV today, why do they even let these clowns onboard ?

meekmok
19th Sep 2013, 08:57
The article clearly states they got drunk once onboard. So the question should be, why don't they put purchased duty free in the checked baggage to be collected at the destination? Surely the extra cost of this outweighs the frequent distruption and diversion of these flights...

Dry wretched thunder
19th Sep 2013, 09:13
Im sure they were more than a tad merry before boarding or it must have been a rapid onset of drunkeness if the first sip was taken after takeoff.

aviate1138
19th Sep 2013, 09:24
I always understood that the lower cabin pressure at altitude alters the alcohol/blood ratio badly

" One drink at altitude [less oxygen in brain] is equivalent to three at sea level"

Which is why maybe breathalysers should be used on suspect passengers pre boarding time.

Capetonian
19th Sep 2013, 09:27
Reader comment :
You get what you pay for... flying Ryanair is equivalent to sitting on the back of a pigeon!!!More like sitting underneath a pigeon and getting crapped on, I'd say!

Just HALF of Ryanair passengers are satisfied: No-thrills airline voted worst for customer service out of UK's biggest brands | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2424667/Just-HALF-Ryanair-passengers-satisfied-No-thrills-airline-voted-worst-customer-service-UKs-biggest-brands.html#ixzz2fKSZb7Mr)

DX Wombat
19th Sep 2013, 09:33
DWT I would be rather surprised if the alcohol was consumed in refined sips. Swigs might be a better description of a less civilised, more likely mode of consumption

Capetonian
19th Sep 2013, 09:39
So the question should be, why don't they put purchased duty free in the checked baggage to be collected at the destination?

Because traditionally duty free is purchased after check-in, airside.

A better solution would be to sell duty free only on arrival. It would solve a lot of problems :

People holding up departures because they are buying duty free
Fights about overhead locker spaces when people try to cram all the stuff in
Idiots trying to drink duty free in flight
The weight carried by the aircraft (2 x 1 litre bottles per adult on a 180 seat aircraft, say 150 x 2 = 300 bottles at 1.5 kg each = 450 kilos.)

Tarq57
19th Sep 2013, 09:53
Don't forget the prospect of high-octane booze raining down from the overheads in the event of a "non-standard" arrival.

I can't understand why spirits, at least, are allowed in the cabin. Nuts.

truckflyer
19th Sep 2013, 10:00
"The is a constant debate about the number of jobs versus the number of applicants. I prefer to look at the positive on this. "

Aer Lingus had open recruitment, and from the rumors it was around 4000 - 5000 people who applied for 30 - 40 jobs.

Over mid 30's Ryanair is not an option, just have these numbers in mind, so you know what you are facing.
These are cold facts - that does not make pleasant reading.

Jack1985
19th Sep 2013, 10:10
I'm not even in the UK, and the Mail does my head in - its as if they want the public to see their own bias. Anyway whilst they constantly give publicity to Ryanair on crap, has anyone noticed their profits don't reflect ''worst airline'' status? :rolleyes:

victorc10
19th Sep 2013, 10:15
Some spirits are prohibited for this very reason.

EDMJ
19th Sep 2013, 10:31
There is no "duty free" within the EU anymore..... :rolleyes:

racedo
19th Sep 2013, 12:31

Collusion is cartel and you get fined a lot of money and potentially go to jail.
They will be warned again and again by lawyers (as are all airline heads) that meeting and sitting down with other airline heads is ok but be v careful what is discussed and avoid stuff.

Discussing specific routes / prices or agreeing on a course of action means they open themselves up to issues and investigation and doubt that ever gets discussed because of its implications.

WW and Mo'L appear to get on well, then again Sir Michael Bishop also got on well with Mo'L apparently and I reckon most airline heads will get on with others when they meet up at conferences.

Some airline bosses will get on better with some people that others but thats like saying put 20 pilots in a room and expecting them all to be best buddies.....

davidjohnson6
19th Sep 2013, 16:26
If, as press comment suggests might happen, Captcha really is removed I shall be delighted. I'll then be able to write my own screenscraper ! :E

j636
20th Sep 2013, 11:11
Ryanair to improve its customer service - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0920/475378-ryanair-shareholders-gather-for-agm/)

While MOL issues an apoligy
Ryanair apologises to tragic Dublin surgeon after charging him ?188 to switch - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-apologises-to-tragic-dublin-surgeon-after-charging-him-188-to-switch-29592819.html)

FRatSTN
20th Sep 2013, 11:54
I think they are right to charge €60 for people who don't print off their boarding pass and should increase the overweight bag fines. When people accept the terms and conditions when booking they should have to follow them. The people who don't follow the rules should not be entitled to receive good service and should have to pay the price and it's a good way to make profit.

I don't think they should be any more lenient on that, they just need to improve the service for the passengers through the website mainly and glad to hear they are doing that.

Shed-on-a-Pole
20th Sep 2013, 12:27
FRatSTN - Whilst I have no problem in principle with regard to charging people who don't stick to the rules, I believe a distinction must be made between the airline covering the costs arising from the misdemeanour and charging an exorbitant sum which some could construe as racketeering. A family of four should not be required to pay EUR240 one way for incorrectly printing boarding passes. An all-in charge of EUR20 seems more reasonable. Overweight baggage should be charged by weight on a justifiable scale of (for example) EUR5 per kilo over the allowance. Thus, the airline covers its costs and is not disadvantaged whilst the offending customer pays a fair and transparent price to rectify the dispute at issue without feeling ripped off.

I take it that like myself you are a frequent flyer and have an intimate knowledge of this industry and its intricacies. Those who fall foul of the rules are often not so. Perhaps they are families who do one return trip per year by air, or elderly customers who are less aware of the airline's procedures and requirements. Few are wilful chancers attempting to defraud the airline. This is why it makes good business sense to charge these people a fair (not excessive) transparent fee and not give the impression of ripping off the most vulnerable of customers.

Just ask yourself for a moment how you would feel if elderly members of your family were placed in such a situation. If they paid EUR10 per person for having the correct boarding cards issued, you probably wouldn't object too much. How about if the elderly couple were hit with a demand for EUR120 one way outbound and didn't know how to use an internet cafe abroad prior to returning home? What if the old dear carries a handbag as well as a carry on; how much is it reasonable to charge her? An appropriate luggage-weight linked fee, yes; a punitive fine, no. Fair recompense to the airline, yes: rip-off fees for minor infringements, no.

Nobody wants to see an airline company disadvantaged by customers flouting the rules. We also want to see fair play towards the passengers who stuck to the rules. But fair and transparent charges reflecting the true cost of the infringement is the way to go. Eyewatering "fines" are not.

Capetonian
20th Sep 2013, 12:41
I think they are right to charge €60 for people who don't print off their boarding pass and should increase the overweight bag fines.The people who don't follow the rules should not be entitled to receive good service and should have to pay the price and it's a good way to make profit.That's exactly where you're wrong, FRatSTN, it's not meant to be a 'fine', it's meant to be a reasonable charge to reflect the cost of handling and carrying the extra baggage, not a 'punishment' or a 'fine' and it's precisely the perpetuation of the attitude in your statement that sums up why so many people hate Ryanair. You're saying that someone who makes a small mistake or misunderstands the complicated rules, as Shed-on-a-Pole says, should be punished, fined, and receive bad service.

Your username indicates that you work for Ryanair at Stansted. If I needed further reason to boycott Ryanair, you've just given it to me, and no doubt many others.

Edit : On reflection, if you do work for FR, and if I were a senior employee of that company, I would hunt you down and target you for legal action for making a statement likely to injure the reputation of the airline.

Jack1985
20th Sep 2013, 12:47
I think they are right to charge €60 for people

That's the reason Ryanair finds itself with the likes of the Mail constantly giving it bad press and its what fixates the press on Ryanair, that can be good and very bad. It's this charge along with the Sattar incident which are things that to quote O'Leary, ''unnecessarily piss people off''. Hopefully by understanding easyJet's unbelievable success with the Corporates and its Holiday division, O'Leary will now pursue a new direction for the carrier in terms of customer service. Delighted to see Captcha will be scrapped by single bookings from the end of October! :ok:

airbourne
20th Sep 2013, 12:59
At the end of the day, the change in 'policy' must because they fear whats coming down the road in terms of their bottom line. As we all well know, Ryanair don't do anything unless its turning a profit for them.

Then again, look at all the free publicity they are getting today out of the 'change'!

jdcg
20th Sep 2013, 13:51
Things that unnecessarily piss me off:

1. "Booking fee" charged per seat, not per booking. Can I book more than one journey per booking please?

2. EVERYTHING about the website - the constant and ever-increasing attempt to get me to buy extras (even when checking-in online now)

3. An "Online check-in fee" - just be honest and call it a fuel surcharge

4. Captcha

5. Luggage policy

Apart from that I actually don't mind FR; but if EZY flew to more places I want to go to from STN then I'd fly with them every time in preference, even if slightly more expensive.

Hangar6
20th Sep 2013, 14:17
Smells like a new regime is on the way?
Bets on WW anyone?

Colonel Klink
20th Sep 2013, 14:18
According to the BBC and others, the message has finally got through.
BBC News - Ryanair's O'Leary to end 'abrupt culture' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24177834)

Ryanair have announced that they are to end their policy of (let's be honest) "treating the passengers that pay their salaries, like dirt."
Following the humiliating admission that they charged the Doctor an extra fee to return home having just lost his wife and two sons in a house fire in Leicester, and the Which Survey that ranked them last out of 100 companies for customer service, MOL has announced a new company attitude to treat their customers more kindly.

Is this all it took?

Capetonian
20th Sep 2013, 14:28
Will the message filter down to the frontline people who deal with passengers? Will they resent losing the bonuses they get for 'fining' people for excess baggage? Will they resent losing their little power trip?

This is a meaningless publicity stunt.

davidjohnson6
20th Sep 2013, 14:33
Hangar6 - could you give just *one* good reason as to why on earth WW would want to leave IAG and move to Ryanair ?

He was CEO of Aer Lingus and is currently CEO of one of Europe's 3 mega-airlines. He's turned British Airways around from deep trouble to reasonably good health. In the press, he seems to be deemed to be doing a difficult job well and is generally given credit. Surely moving to Ryanair would be seen as a step down in his career...

Monty Gordo
20th Sep 2013, 14:45
The straw that broke the camel's back! The incident regarding Dr Sattar was shocking to the extreme and will surely be followed by a tabloid frenzy pointing out the deep flaws within the customer care structure at Ryanair. A structure established top - down.

Unforgiveable and particularly when you realise that Dr Sattar fully explained to RYR staff in Dublin why he needed to re-book.
No matter how much MoL pleads now, too much damage has been done.

touch&go
20th Sep 2013, 14:49
Total disgrace

BBC News - Leicester fire deaths: Ryanair to refund grieving father (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24171384)

Capetonian
20th Sep 2013, 15:05
The incident regarding Dr Sattar was shocking to the extreme and will surely be followed by a tabloid frenzy pointing out the deep flaws within the customer care structure at Ryanair. A structure established top - down.

Unforgiveable and particularly when you realise that Dr Sattar fully explained to RYR staff in Dublin why he needed to re-book. Yes but ........ I'm not defending Ryanair, I loathe and despise their modus operandum and culture, however, having supervised ticket desks at international airports, I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end about the depths to which people will sink, telling the most appalling lies, to avoid paying reissue fees and so on. Anyone who has worked in a similar position will understand this.

The difference is that whereas I had, and allowed my staff, the discretion to make judgements and waive charges in cases where there appeared to be a genuine hardship or other motivation, I am quite sure that Ryanair's staff/agents did not have that discretion and that is a fundamental flaw in their culture.

That said, like pretty much everything else to do with Ryanair, it stinks. There I agree with you.

DX Wombat
20th Sep 2013, 15:20
The BBC has posted this item (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24177834)on its website.

Hangar6
20th Sep 2013, 15:21
To be CEO of Europe.s largest airline? By pax, flights and fleet?
With cash to launch a brand new Transatlantic carrier , ???
Just a thought, not too serious but WW might want to be the King of Europe rather than the King of west Drayton, ok it will take a few more years
To grow FR but WW as you say has a good record , agreed

captplaystation
20th Sep 2013, 15:22
I lasted less than 15min with that link . . . . how long will you be "granted" ?

racedo
20th Sep 2013, 16:42
Smells like a new regime is on the way?
Bets on WW anyone?

Chucking money away.

Fr has constantly changed in last 20 years, its just another phase.

What would MO'L do ? He would be bored silly raising cattle and go to the races.

Reckon he we go around 2020 after new fleet is in.

Hangar6
20th Sep 2013, 16:55
Mmm , well he will be the big cheese on the guest speaker list
Of every business conference forever when he does go...

Now that is a role he would suit and I think, yes knowing him as I do,
He would find a certain pleasure in telling any audience of his success, .

But he really does love horse races ...nope this is the beginning of the end, hey he has earned it!

racedo
20th Sep 2013, 17:04
Yes but ........ I'm not defending Ryanair, I loathe and despise their modus operandum and culture, however, having supervised ticket desks at international airports, I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end about the depths to which people will sink, telling the most appalling lies, to avoid paying reissue fees and so on. Anyone who has worked in a similar position will understand this.

The difference is that whereas I had, and allowed my staff, the discretion to make judgements and waive charges in cases where there appeared to be a genuine hardship or other motivation, I am quite sure that Ryanair's staff/agents did not have that discretion and that is a fundamental flaw in their culture.

Its a no win situation for staff and controls are in place because of this and as you indicated you have seen what people will do.

On the morning in question the news that the family had died and what had occurred was pretty limited.......he told of fire at 3am, he was informed as he was in the aiport that they had died just before 5.30am, flight at 6.30am. Its kind of hard for airport staff to know if it had really happened because news was limited.

Flagging it up earlier would have been a better idea, should have happened but dammed if they do dammed if they don't.

Jack1985
20th Sep 2013, 17:12
however, having supervised ticket desks at international airports, I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end about the depths to which people will sink, telling the most appalling lies, to avoid paying reissue fees and so on. Anyone who has worked in a similar position will understand this.

Fully agree, I've heard stories when you know the passenger is lying that is unbelievably sick.

PAXboy
20th Sep 2013, 17:36
Yes, people lie all the time and, until they prove that they have not, the company is entitled to pursue it's charges.

With regards to the subject matter I suggest that this is NOT the beginning of the end of MoL. He will continue until he is ousted or he dies in harness. He cannot help himself, he has to continue.

Will this change anything? Not in the first year. You try changing a culture that has been built into every brick of the company for some 25 years. It will require an enormous effort by mgmt, they will have to define new rules and then ensure they do not get an overs wing of behaviour that costs a fortune.

FR was always going to reach the point at which it reached a natural plateau of income. Most companies take 50 years to reach that - he has arrived there sooner than others and all credit to him.

By the way, Europe is in the middle of the deepest recession since the depression.

beernice
20th Sep 2013, 20:05
From the Telegraph

So it was quite a surprise to hear him tell shareholders at yesterday’s AGM in Dublin: “We should try to eliminate things that unnecessarily p--- people off.”
Indeed, coming from the man who once derided passengers as “idiots” if they forgot to print their boarding passes – a milder turn of phrase than he employed to describe overweight passengers – this was a truly Damascene conversion.
During his long and brilliant career at the helm of Ryanair, Mr O’Leary has not often been forced on to the defensive. His famous mantra was: “People say the customer is always right, but you know what they’re not. Sometimes they are wrong and they need to be told so.”
But yesterday, with several shareholders complaining that poor customer service was hitting sales, and with the recent, unexpected profits warning – the first in nearly a decade – fresh in everyone’s minds, he was on the back foot.
Envious glances are being cast at easyJet, which has rediscovered its mojo under Carolyn McCall. She has repositioned the airline as a more customer-friendly, upmarket rival to Ryanair and her next pitch will be for the lucrative business travel market.
Some are asking whether the buccaneering guerilla warfare tactics that served Mr O’Leary so well on his ascent are appropriate now he is running Europe’s biggest airline.
His promise to overhaul its website, set up a new team to respond to emails and stop fining customers whose carry-on baggage exceeds minimum sizes by a matter of millimetres is hardly a radical manifesto for change. As he admitted, “a lot of those customer services elements don’t cost a lot of money”. But they are the first signs of a new, customer-friendly strategy.
Does this prove that the customer is always king and you can only get away with insulting your passengers for so long?
The jury is still out on that point. With the company’s share price down 4pc this month and passenger numbers down for the autumn, Mr O’Leary needs to be seen to be steering a different course.
It could be that, with the economy on an upward trajectory and a bit more money in people’s pockets, passengers are prepared to spend a little more for a higher standard of customer service. The days when rock-bottom fares were the only game in town could be coming to an end.
But Mr O’Leary, who once observed that “Germans will crawl naked over broken glass to get low fares”, will take some persuading.

So is it in Ryanair to be nice?
Having worked for Ryanair for many years I think the company has to change to survive. The problem for Ryanair is the competition are beginning to match the fairs of Ryanair but are doing it in a way that makes flying less of a trauma. I have been at the gate of Ryanair flights boarding for years and I have seen the way passengers have been treated. I have been deeply embarrassed to be part of the company on some occasions.
For example

The 52-year-old surgeon, who worked in Dublin, was woken at 3am last Friday and told it was likely his wife and three children had died in a fire at their home in Leicester.
Upon arriving at Dublin Airport at around 5:30am, Dr Taufiq Sattar was called by Leicester Police and told all of his family members had perished in the fire. Visibly distressed, he explained to the Ryanair check-in desk why he wanted to change his 9.40pm flight to East Midlands Airport to the 6.30am flight to Birmingham, and was told he would need to pay €187.46 (around £158) for the single fare.

Michael O Leary apologized today for the event. He said it should not have happened. However in Ryanair ground staff do not have the authority to show compassion or discretion. Michael O Leary is very well aware that this is exactly what should have happened if ground staff follow his and his executives instructions. To say anything else is disingenuous.

So the question is, can Ryanair achieve the CEO's vision of a kinder, gentler airline with the current management structure? I think not. While Michael O Leary should stay, those under him that know nothing else but ( as a shareholder put it today) a macho culture have to make way. Every company from time to time has to reinvent itself and refresh its management, why should Ryanair be different. Michael bred his executives to be this way. As a horse man Michael should know that you can't put a flat horse over jumps.
One word of advice, pay peanuts, get monkeys. If you need customer service, you need motivated, happy staff. Slashing staff costs over the last few years may have resulted in exceptional bonuses for the few, but today I think you are beginning to see the true cost of such short sightings.

Doors to Automatic
20th Sep 2013, 20:14
Following on from the news that these cowboys charged a poor man whose entire family had just been murdered in a house fire to change his flights I hope people stop flying with them and they go bust. They are b@stards of the highest order. :mad:

A and C
20th Sep 2013, 20:46
I did flag up the fact the Ryanair had announced a Proffit warning over the next few months, the speculation was that customer dissatisfaction was at the root of this, the thread vanished and I put is down to the Pprune managements paranoia of all things Ryanair.

Clearly the message has hit home at Ryanair HQ and resulted in a change of direction in the way they feel they must treat their diminishing customer base.

captplaystation
20th Sep 2013, 20:54
Aw c'mon Doors to Auto, say what you mean :D

Hoping this thread lasts a bit longer than the previous 2, as it is . . a fairly big piece of news when a 300 aircraft airline suddenly wakens up to the Millions of Joe Publics' views.

Nothing derisory/libellous here, as you stated, they have not been known for their kindheartedness, so any change will be to their benefit just as much as their clients.

As stated though, Micky Boy can change like an Eel, but will some of the "Rock Apes" he appointed find the ability to change :rolleyes: methinks that is the problem.

Foxcotte
20th Sep 2013, 20:55
Based on Ryanair's past record and modus operandi, I am guessing that they will probably apply an additional charge "for being nice" to their clients. I wonder whether it would be a 'per word' charge or a cumulative charge 'per act' of kindness?

P.Pilcher
20th Sep 2013, 21:00
The only thing which motivates O'Leary is money. The fact that unless he changes his ways he will start to make less is the only thing that will motivate him to make that change.

doniedarko
20th Sep 2013, 21:06
Ryanair to seek shareholder approval for bumper bonus scheme - Tourism News | Travel & Tourism Industry News | The Irish Times - Mon, Sep 16, 2013 (http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-to-seek-shareholder-approval-for-bumper-bonus-scheme-1.1526681)

5% of the current shares .....to be nice ...:ok:

fast biker
20th Sep 2013, 21:12
Please remember, that many good hard working people work for Ryanair, they have mortgages and a family to pay for, they have no say in how this company operates. wishing the company goes belly up does not help them, and can in some cases can be distressing.

Thank you.

Hotel Tango
20th Sep 2013, 21:32
Too little and too late. It won't change my mind about using RYR, but long may they continue to exist. After all, I get to fly on much better carriers at very competitive fares :)

Skipness One Echo
21st Sep 2013, 00:18
MOL is on record as saying this was going to happen. A reading suggestion :
" Ryanair: How a Small Irish Airline Conquered Europe [Paperback]
Siobhan Creaton (Author) " It's not actually a u-turn, it's been expected internally for about a decade, the timing was the only issue they weren't sure of.

Aldente
21st Sep 2013, 07:25
donniedarko

Ryanair to seek shareholder approval for bumper bonus scheme - Tourism News | Travel & Tourism Industry News | The Irish Times - Mon, Sep 16, 2013

5% of the current shares .....to be nice ...

Seems over a third of them didn't "approve" though

Over 33% of Ryanair shareholders oppose new incentive plan | 20 September 2013 | Stock Market Wire (http://www.stockmarketwire.com/article/4672391/Over-33pct-of-Ryanair-shareholders-oppose-new-incentive-plan.html)

:uhoh:

doniedarko
21st Sep 2013, 10:40
Interesting that the board said "Board had brought forward the recommendation to reward, retain and incentivise selected senior employees and directors."

yet the same board was accused of 'cronyism"
Ryanair is warned over danger of 'crony' board - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-is-warned-over-danger-of-crony-board-29400944.html)

Well good luck to the 'few' and it will be interesting to see if 'the few' can change a culture (sucessfull) . Ryanair is micro-managed from the top down so if MOL has had a 'road to damascus' moment the the rest will have to follow suit.

Burnie5204
21st Sep 2013, 11:50
Following on from the news that these cowboys charged a poor man whose entire family had just been murdered in a house fire to change his flights I hope people stop flying with them and they go bust. They are b@stards of the highest order

Or you could look at the facts but lets not let that get in the way of a good "MOL am mostest evilest man evar!!" Rant

Fire occurred in the early hours of the morning. The husband was told at around 3.30am. At 5.30am the husband was at the airport trying to change his flight. News hadnt even broke on UK media let alone in Ireland. Thus the ticket desk staff would have had no idea whether he was telling the truth or not and believe me people WILL tell you that their nearest and dearest have died to try and get costs waived.

The main bit you have to look at is whether Ryanair refund the ticket change fees once the husbands story was corroborated and proved to be true - lo and behold they have refunded the charge!!

Piltdown Man
21st Sep 2013, 13:10
A change in heart has to come from the heart. It can not be purchased. Sending a memo your sub-contractors "Be :mad: nice to the idiots (MOL's word, not mine)" won't do much either. Nothing short of replacing the entire feral, venomous management and their current policies will do much good. Unfortunately, these are the things that have made the company as strong as it is. I'll suggest that RYR have now reached the summit of their mountain - which is just a pimple in the range of mountains that represents the air-travel market. To progress, they will first have to descend from their pimple and then find a bigger hill to climb - without going bust in the process. How will you know they are going in the right direction? When people feel sorry for RYR. And that might take years - if ever.

racedo
21st Sep 2013, 20:01
MOL is on record as saying this was going to happen. A reading suggestion :
" Ryanair: How a Small Irish Airline Conquered Europe [Paperback]
Siobhan Creaton (Author) " It's not actually a u-turn, it's been expected internally for about a decade, the timing was the only issue they weren't sure of.

He went on record as saying Ryanair would have to change from when he retired around 2011 to a different model, given retirement on hold for years then will have to change with him there. Not sure I have read another airline boss being open about their personality failures but he did.

As said before FR have reinvented themselves a couple of times and will continue to do so because thats what you need to do to survive, doing it publicly means you get regularly appraised.

racedo
21st Sep 2013, 20:22
Interesting that the board said "Board had brought forward the recommendation to reward, retain and incentivise selected senior employees and directors."

yet the same board was accused of 'cronyism"
Ryanair is warned over danger of 'crony' board - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-is-warned-over-danger-of-crony-board-29400944.html)

Board of Directors « Manifest ? The Proxy Voting Agency (http://www.manifest.co.uk/who-we-are/board-of-directors/)

Interesting that they claim lack of international directors while all of their directors seem to from the UK............

Capetonian
22nd Sep 2013, 09:02
In the unlikely event that this is carried through, and I think it's just marketing hype as usual from the master of sleight of mouth, it will end up costing the company money. So many people object to flying with them and only do so 'under duress' because they seem cheap. As soon as that price gap narrows as costs are passed on to punters, passenger numbers will drop.

currently there is only one airline in Europe that i refuse point blank to fly with and that is Ryanair and its not because i feel they are in anyway unsafe in fact the reverse is true.Ditto, but I have concerns about their safety despite their currently almost unblemished record.

Just spotted this :

Ryanair boss O'Leary throws down gauntlet to BA with plan for £6.30 flights to the US | This is Money (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2424991/Ryanair-boss-OLeary-throws-gauntlet-BA-plan-6-30-flights-US.html)

TSR2
22nd Sep 2013, 10:01
When questioned about the morale of his staff, he told delegates: 'Morale among my staff has never been higher. Anyone who questions that gets beaten until the morale improves.'

That's a classic.

Dannyboy39
22nd Sep 2013, 10:18
It doesn't have to cost that much money - how much money does it cost to raise a smile for instance, or show a bit of compassion once in a while?

I think this needs to be a bit of short term pain for long term gain; there's a reason why Southwest Airlines have been profitable for so long.

The foundations built by Ryanair, in my opinion, are unstable and unsustainable. Although the biggest competitive force is price, you cannot continue to antagonise your customers and staff. You cannot afford to put passengers off because of reputation - that will cost you money.

Capetonian
22nd Sep 2013, 10:26
....... how much money does it cost to raise a smile for instance, or show a bit of compassion once in a while?

Nothing ........ but where it's going to cost money is when they stop charging £40 to print a boarding pass, or £160 if it's a family of four, or when they stop charging £50 to check in a bag that's a millimetre too big, or whatever it is for a bag that's 500 grams overweight, or when they stop trying to sell scratchcards on the flights. Then the staff start to lose their bonuses for 'extra ancillary income' and they are going to be miserable and those smiles won't be there.

EZY7117LPL
22nd Sep 2013, 20:47
Staff do not earn any type of bonus or commission as far as I know.

racedo
22nd Sep 2013, 20:53
Nothing ........ but where it's going to cost money is when they stop charging £40 to print a boarding pass, or £160 if it's a family of four, or when they stop charging £50 to check in a bag that's a millimetre too big, or whatever it is for a bag that's 500 grams overweight, or when they stop trying to sell scratchcards on the flights. Then the staff start to lose their bonuses for 'extra ancillary income' and they are going to be miserable and those smiles won't be there.

Think they make SFA from it because whole issue of charging was to change culture of people just turning up and queueing.............pretty much worked as well.

Capetonian
22nd Sep 2013, 21:01
I read somewhere not long ago that they are incentivised to charge people and to raise extra revenue for on-board sales. I can't remember where it was, it may have been here, that someone published an internal document which made reference to this policy.

davidjohnson6
22nd Sep 2013, 21:19
Staff definitely gain one very big thing by levying charges for things like having 2 pieces of hand luggage.... the power trip !

Just think of the scene - someone frantically repacking their luggage next to the gate on the floor and (by virtue of lack of space) having to kneel at the feet of someone who's been enforcing the rules while one of their kids says they need the toilet... if that's not a (evil) power trip then I don't know what is

Jamie2k9
22nd Sep 2013, 21:22
Nothing ........ but where it's going to cost money is when they stop charging £40 to print a boarding pass, or £160 if it's a family of four, or when they stop charging £50 to check in a bag that's a millimetre too big, or whatever it is for a bag that's 500 grams overweight, or when they stop trying to sell scratchcards on the flights. Then the staff start to lose their bonuses for 'extra ancillary income' and they are going to be miserable and those smiles won't be there

I don't see why people "forget" or "can't" print out boarding passes, its not rocket science and not the hardest thing to do. There is no excuses for not having them and its made crystal clear when booking that it needs to be done. If the majority of passengers can follow rules why can't everybody. You don't leave your house without a passport (some fools do) but its fine for some passengers to leave without there boarding card.

If you book rail tickets, you don't turn up to stations without tickets printed or your reservation number. You learn how to read in life so the minority of passengers who fail to follow T&C's should pay a heavy price for mistakes.

If FR reduce charges or relax charges for peoples mistakes, everybody will be paying through higher fares. FR will make back all the money they could lose by becoming more customer friendly. I believe the boarding card fees should stay and even be increased more as once they become high enough people won't forget things.

Capetonian
22nd Sep 2013, 21:29
I don't see why people "forget" or "can't" print out boarding passes, its not rocket science and not the hardest thing to do

Someone answered that quite eloquently on another thread. Anyone can make a mistake - except Jamie2k9 perhaps. What about people who are old and not computer savvy, or simply don't have access to a computer and printer whilst on holiday? What about people who lose their documents (or they are eaten by the dog!) or just got wet in the rain?

You're in favour of 'fining' people or making them pay punitive charges for their mistakes. That sums up the attitude of Ryanair and is precisely why so many people refuse to travel with them.

Aerlingus231
22nd Sep 2013, 21:33
There is a balancing act on the fees, charge too high and people won't forget, hence regular ticket prices must go up to make for lost revenues, charge too little and you must raise ticket prices to make up lost revenues. Problem for Ryanair is that a large part of their revenues come from those fees, so much so that if you were to remove the fees all together, Ryanair would be loss making. The average ticket price multiplied by the number of passengers is less than total expenses of the airline, in other words it costs more to Ryanair to run services than they make just from ticket revenues alone. Not a great position to be in, but hey, it's worked so far.

Jamie2k9
22nd Sep 2013, 21:53
Someone answered that quite eloquently on another thread. Anyone can make a mistake - except Jamie2k9 perhaps. What about people who are old and not computer savvy, or simply don't have access to a computer and printer whilst on holiday? What about people who lose their documents (or they are eaten by the dog!) or just got wet in the rain?

You're in favour of 'fining' people or making them pay punitive charges for their mistakes. That sums up the attitude of Ryanair and is precisely why so many people refuse to travel with them.

Everyone can makes mistakes but some mistakes are more costly. Don't use *old people" as an excuse, if they can't use a computer who booked the flights, the person who booked them should of printed them out. Not have access to a computer on holidays just doesn't happen. Majority hotel has computers and internet cafes are all over the main areas. Your using excuses and I don't even need to give an answer to the rain excuse.

I expect if FR released the stats for people who forget to do it, a certain profile of passenger/s would be a regular occurrence. We are talking at most a couple of thousand out of 80 million passengers. It does not happen very often.

racedo
22nd Sep 2013, 22:11
What about people who are old and not computer savvy, or simply don't have access to a computer and printer whilst on holiday?

How did they book in the first place ?

Given 99%+ plus actually book on line then it kind of gets puzzling how if they could safely book online then how come its hard to check in. Remember the oft published Daily Mail ones are NOT about people who COULDN'T check in there are about people who DIDN'T. Really big difference.

I have probably not travelled as much as you Cape but I do know that I have never struggled to find an internet cafe or a hotel willing to help out even when in Japan in the boonies I spoke no Japanese but did enough to get access to a computer.

I know an elderly couple in mid 80's who fly quite a lot using every airline and I offered once to help if ever needed on checking in ................now they pretty much keep themselves to themselves but they use Library, 4 other neighbours in same street and kids abroad who check them in and post the tickets. They don't posess a credit card or debit card.

racedo
22nd Sep 2013, 22:18
There is a balancing act on the fees, charge too high and people won't forget, hence regular ticket prices must go up to make for lost revenues, charge too little and you must raise ticket prices to make up lost revenues. Problem for Ryanair is that a large part of their revenues come from those fees, so much so that if you were to remove the fees all together, Ryanair would be loss making.

Afraid that is plain wrong.

Numbers not checking in online is minor.

Ryanair earn 1/4 of revenue from add ons and that includes Insurance / Food / Luggage / Car Rental / Bus Tickets / etc etc Prob Food / Car Hire and Bags are major part. I see little chance in % of revenue.

Having got off Ryanair flight at Shannon about 6 years ago and made way to Hertz office after collecting buggy, no other flights in but 16 people pretty much all off same flight in front of me give an idea of how important it is to Hertz.

racedo
22nd Sep 2013, 22:31
Staff definitely gain one very big thing by levying charges for things like having 2 pieces of hand luggage.... the power trip !

Just think of the scene - someone frantically repacking their luggage next to the gate on the floor and (by virtue of lack of space) having to kneel at the feet of someone who's been enforcing the rules while one of their kids says they need the toilet... if that's not a (evil) power trip then I don't know what is

DJ

Got 2 littlies and have pretty much travelled all across Europe on airlines when freetime allows and can honestly say that I have met with incredible courtesy, helpfulness and support with many staff going out of way to help. Remember most aren't employed anyway by the airlines.

Few power hungry people have been met because you know what, most people go to work to do a good job, some hate the job but most don't. Its a living and no different from me and you, occasional idiots found but hell you can find that on here.

Shock in one country was when only having one littlie and getting pushed at an airport to front of Immigration queue as were all parents with young kids. Its something they do as witnessed it since and made it easier for everyone.
UK BA could learn a lesson as I stated on Stansted thread.

Sunnyjohn
22nd Sep 2013, 23:47
It's a bit more complicated that 'just' making Ryanair more user-friendly. Whether MOL said so at the shareholders meeting I don't know - he probably did - but a number of things have come together to reduce Ryanair's profits: there is now Europe-wide competition from High Speed Trains - something he did foresee; fuel prices are going through the roof - and 45 percent of Ryanair's costs go on fuel; their aircraft are ageing - higher maintenance costs; and finally Ryanair's real ticket prices are beginning to approach those of its low cost competitors. Ryanair are still making a respectable profit but shareholders are notoriously fickle about these things and will jump ship if a whiff of a drop in profits is in the air. It'll be some years before we've seen the last of Ryanair though. MOL must be thinking of retirement - he's a wealthy man after all - but it is clear that he likes a challenge, and to about-turn the Ryanair image and say 'sucks boo to you, of course we can become customer-friendly' must tickle him no end. He is, first and foremost, a very shrewd entertainer. Still, he may have had enough. We shall see. Just to be straight, I have no problem with Ryanair and use then regularly. He once said that Ryanair is just a bus serves, and that's what it is - a very efficient and safe one, and I have no problem with that at all. No - I don't work for them and sympathise with the poor work culture, but there is still enough work out there for those who don't like it to walk - as I'm sure many do.

j636
22nd Sep 2013, 23:55
Gang of girls trying to get baggage on Ryanair flight - YouTube

It was probably posted before but that's how you avoid extra charges.

Capetonian
23rd Sep 2013, 06:22
......... if they could safely book online then how come its hard to check in.
I have probably not travelled as much as you Cape but I do know that I have never struggled to find an internet cafe or a hotel willing to help out .........
Everyone can makes mistakes but some mistakes are more costly. Don't use *old people" as an excuse, if they can't use a computer who booked the flights, the person who booked them should of printed them out. Not have access to a computer on holidays just doesn't happen. Majority hotel has computers and internet cafes are all over the main areas. Your using excuses and I don't even need to give an answer to the rain excuse.
These remarks illustrate the philosophy that makes Ryanair so hated. I know that 80 million people a year travel with them and that they carry more pax than any other airline, but that doesn't mean that all those people love the airline, nor does it take into account those who hate it enough that they won't ever use it.

Whether you concur or not I go back to the example of older people who are not as computer literate as the younger ones, or people who simply are not used to technology. The Ryanair credo makes no allowance for such people and charges them an exorbitant fee which does not represent the cost, it's a penalty, or a revenue raising ploy.

I too have never struggled to find an internet cafe but that doesn't mean to say that everyone else will be as fortunate. My remark about the rain was as flippant as the one about the dog, but such things do happen.

An airline which makes no allowance for error and treats people in this way should be shunned, and clearly is by many. On the subject of margins of error, Ryanair operate to the legal minima in respect of fuel uplifts. When something goes wrong, they expect special treatment. I understand that this is safety related whereas printing a boarding pass isn't but don't you think their passengers deserve a little comprehension when something goes wrong instead of being hammered with a massive penalty by someone on a power/bullying trip?

Clearly not, and I'm so glad that there are choices, because I will never fly Ryanair.

Hipennine
23rd Sep 2013, 07:16
I just don't understand all these statements saying that it's not a problem printing boarding cards and etc.

When I'm away from the UK on leisure purposes, I just don't want the interruption to my leisure time, the hassle, or the worry of finding some hopefully accommodating computer and printer owner, and probably then having to pay for the privilege.

On business, I have far more on my mind to remember, and generally don't have the time to divert to such facilities.

Irrespective of Ryanair boarding cards, I also often struggle to find reliable internet connections of any sort whilst travelling, never mind the combo of reliable connection and quality printer. If the latter is available, it is at an additional cost.

There is a simple cost-benefit decision on this. Some people will clearly put up with the inconvenience of Ryanair's requirements to save a few bob, but please don't lecture the rest of us.

fatmed
23rd Sep 2013, 08:36
Exactly why I would not fly with this airline. My idea of hell

Piltdown Man
23rd Sep 2013, 08:49
I don't see why people "forget" or "can't" print out boarding passes, its not rocket science and not the hardest thing to do. There is no excuses for not having them and its made crystal clear when booking that it needs to be done. If the majority of passengers can follow rules why can't everybody. You don't leave your house without a passport (some fools do) but its fine for some passengers to leave without there boarding card.

You are of course correct. But people make mistakes. And what matters is how you deal with them. The RYR approach appears to be one of total intolerance. This makes RYR to lack a soul or heart. It also leaves a poor taste in the passengers' mouths and results in profits warnings.

If you book rail tickets, you don't turn up to stations without tickets printed or your reservation number. You learn how to read in life so the minority of passengers who fail to follow T&C's should pay a heavy price for mistakes.

So if you make a mistake at work, should you be sacked?

If FR reduce charges or relax charges for peoples mistakes, everybody will be paying through higher fares. FR will make back all the money they could lose by becoming more customer friendly. I believe the boarding card fees should stay and even be increased more as once they become high enough people won't forget things.

Hang'em high! But what you are saying doesn't make sense. Customer friendly starts bookings and add-ons when you book. Then how you deal with people who make errors, have personal problems and so on. Then how you deal with people in flight and then, more importantly, what you do when things go wrong - which they will. In every case, RYR has appeared to be heartless. They can't grow a compassionate, caring one from the diseased, rotting, black heart that they now have.

Overall, I don't think anybody cares about RYR apart from its shareholders. Its customers don't and neither do its suppliers. And think about this. Its management probably have to spend the majority of their time fighting to keep what they have. They have annoyed so many people that they are always on the back foot. So when will they have time for compassion or will that be sub-contracted as well?

As for the future, who knows. They don't have time for compassion and certainly no leadership. Fuel prices will continue to increase. European governments are still insisting their sub-contractors pay appropriate social taxes. Their competition is getting stronger and their world is getting tougher. But who really cares? And that is their problem.

Mr A Tis
23rd Sep 2013, 09:07
Well I frequently travel world-wide. I can assure you "internet cafes" are few & far between these days. Everywhere is wifi, so there is no need. The only trouble with wifi is that there is rarely a printer available.

I don't fly RYR. What I don't like is that many airports (Barcelona in particular) are turned into refugee camps, with people sprawled all over the check in floor. Belongings strewn all over the place as they frantically repack to ensure they are within the limits.

If this is the future of air travel, then get me a train ticket.

I do think it's a shame that RYR has not achieved the great reputation of Southwest Airlines.

I wish RYR well in their new found customer services, but only action will speak louder than words.

Based
23rd Sep 2013, 13:10
Quote:
You are of course correct. But people make mistakes. And what matters is how you deal with them. The RYR approach appears to be one of total intolerance. This makes RYR to lack a soul or heart. It also leaves a poor taste in the passengers' mouths and results in profits warnings.

But there's total intolerance if you forget your passport as well. It's generally more expensive and takes a lot longer to get a passport reissued but yet it doesn't seem to get people's backs up half as much!

pee
23rd Sep 2013, 13:37
But there's total intolerance if you forget your passport as well.
Okay then. All EU passports (and most ID-cards), as well as many non-EU passports are machine-readable documents, aren't they? Why not use them as boarding passes without any prints at all? So big investment that FR couldn't afford?

ericlday
23rd Sep 2013, 13:40
Surely a simple check list before you fly must include passport, tickets/boarding pass, money/credit cards and apartment keys. Cannot understand people who forget any of these main items.
My passport runs out next year so already there is a post-it note near the poohter to remind me to renew it !!!!

PAXboy
23rd Sep 2013, 14:32
I like to suggest that MoL will NOT be retiring any time soon. He may be wealthy but is clearly driven by other things.

He will leave the company one of two ways:

Profits will fall and enough people speak up that he will be ousted in a boardroom Coup. he will then go off into the darkness screaming abuse and saying he is going to start another airline. But he won't.
He will die in harness.

Further, he is not 'an entertainer' as suggested. He is one of the most fantastic businessmen you will see in your lifetime. Anything that is perceived as 'entertainment' is him entertaining himself by throwing sprats to the fish and watching them jump.

I admire him highly and try not to use his airline.

ayroplain
23rd Sep 2013, 15:01
Surely a simple check list before you fly must include passport, tickets/boarding pass, money/credit cards and apartment keys. Cannot understand people who forget any of these main items.
Neither can I.

I travel a lot on UK rail. I book online early for cheap fares, using the free "Ticket on Departure" which means I have to collect the ticket at the machine in the station. The printout says I MUST have the ref. no and credit card used in order to collect the tickets otherwise I have to pay the full fare on the day which will be a lot more expensive. A colleague travelling with me once paid £78 compared to my £11.50. That's the way it is and I'm sure there are millions who book early and know what they need to bring.

Yet, when it comes to not printing out FR boarding passes (after having received and ignored several email reminders) some people here seem to have no difficulty standing up for those who "forget" or who expect FR to make an exception just for them.

All this talk of Internet Cafes completely ignores the fact that FR boarding passes can be printed at home 15 days in advance. If you can afford to take a holiday lasting longer than a fortnight then you can afford to pay the fine if you're not bothered to find a place to print out the pass.

Let's get that issue out of the way once and for all.

Cyrano
23rd Sep 2013, 15:04
Argue all you like about the pros and cons of extremely high boarding-pass-print fees, but just a point of information:

The comparison between boarding pass and passport is fallacious.

I know I need a passport or ID card to travel, no matter what airline I fly with. But with any airline but Ryanair, I can turn up at the airport with a printed-off e-ticket (or just booking reference) and check in and get my boarding pass. Ryanair is the only airline that insists on me printing my boarding card in advance, even if I am going to a check-in desk to check baggage.

So when you compare passport/house keys etc to boarding, you're comparing something needed for any international travel to something which is Ryanair-specific.

Capetonian
23rd Sep 2013, 15:07
I am so glad that there are so many perfect beings around who NEVER make a mistake, never forget anything, never lose anything, and always fully read, understand and adhere to every piece of small print.

I can just see the scenario if one of you perfect beings ever got caught out :
"I've been travelling for (x) years and this is the first time I've ever forgotten my boarding pass, and now you want to fine me £40 just to print out one pice of paper ..... I'll never travel with Ryanair again ......you are thieves and con men ........."

Of course it wouldn't happen, because you are perfect ..........., but if it did I'd like to be a fly on the wall.

ericlday
23rd Sep 2013, 15:14
I am far from perfect (so the wife says) BUT I do try to make a reasonable effort to adhere to terms and conditions....hence my simple self check list.

befree
23rd Sep 2013, 16:24
Outspoken pilot faces having his wings clipped by Ryanair | UK | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/431432/Outspoken-pilot-faces-having-his-wings-clipped-by-Ryanair)

Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. Ryanair is the worlds safest airline .Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. Ryanair is the worlds safest airline. ......

Andrew Bowyer
23rd Sep 2013, 17:14
Mere pax here, or dare I say customer. Reading this thread only leads me to the conclusion that this issue is destined for stalemate. I have no problem in paying a fair price based on the cost to reprint boarding passes or to make amendments to my booking. What I object to are the comments by the usual suspects on this forum that put forward the belief that charging exhorbitant fees for any non-compliance to RYR's rules is something to crow about as if it good business practice.

RYR provide, like all airlines, a service. Their future will stand or fall, as all businesses, on the fundamental principle of service and that the Customer is King.

I have used RYR over the years but avoid them now whenever I can as the competition provide a superior product. I want to be treated fairly and respected as a customer. The board of RYR need to remember who is paying their salaries.

racedo
23rd Sep 2013, 17:36
I am so glad that there are so many perfect beings around who NEVER make a mistake, never forget anything, never lose anything, and always fully read, understand and adhere to every piece of small print.

I can just see the scenario if one of you perfect beings ever got caught out :
"I've been travelling for (x) years and this is the first time I've ever forgotten my boarding pass, and now you want to fine me £40 just to print out one pice of paper ..... I'll never travel with Ryanair again ......you are thieves and con men ........."

Of course it wouldn't happen, because you are perfect ..........., but if it did I'd like to be a fly on the wall.

Cape

You don't ever fly them nor is it ever your stated intention to do so in the future therefore your experience of Ryanair is exactly the same as a Daily Mail reader ranting about them, is it not ?

Capetonian
23rd Sep 2013, 17:41
your experience of Ryanair is exactly the same as a Daily Mail reader ranting about them, is it not ?
Given my many years of experience in the airline industry in various different areas, and as a passenger on many airlines, I would tend to disagree with your statement, but then who am I to disagree with MoL's number 2 supporter, number 1 being himself?
Facts speak for themselves. As it happens, I have flown on Ryanair once, I did so in order to be able to validate my views. I will never do so again.

racedo
23rd Sep 2013, 17:59
. I have no problem in paying a fair price based on the cost to reprint boarding passes or to make amendments to my booking.

So if you turn up at Bezier airport in France where Ryanair contract with airport is for provision of services and you know that Ryanair will charge you €10 for ticket provision BUT airport charge you €100 because you paying them for that service you have no problems with that ?

Airport states it was required to install a printer and a computer and its used for reprint twice a year and so charge accordingly......fair or not ?

davidjohnson6
23rd Sep 2013, 18:04
I hope people won't mind too much my saying this, but the debate as to whether FR are wonderful or evil is already all over the Interweb - no need to look here to find comments on that debate. And yes I'm guilty of engaging in this as well sometimes. Unlike other websites, people on this thread are usually very knowledgable on European aviation, making it far more interesting and possible to read people making comments more objectively and looking at deeper issues rather than the rights and wrongs of a boarding card policy.

Would it be at all possible if we all took a collective deep breath and resumed our discussion in the style of Harvard Business School and left the more minor aspects aside ?

Capetonian
23rd Sep 2013, 18:05
Racedo : You're clutching at straws now in order to prove your points.

Consistent service delivery, pricing, and standards across a network are the hallmark of a good service provider, airline or other. It's not reasonable to expect the passenger to know or care if the service at an airport is provided by the principal or by a contractor.

I am glad that there are people like you who use and praise Ryanair, along with the other 80 million who fly with them annually, it keeps them off the airlines I use.

Sober Lark
23rd Sep 2013, 18:05
Befree, plenty of pilots seem to commit Hari kari here.

To one trip man -remember "The expert knows more and more about less and less until he knows everything about nothing' Gandhi

racedo
23rd Sep 2013, 18:12
Okay then. All EU passports (and most ID-cards), as well as many non-EU passports are machine-readable documents, aren't they? Why not use them as boarding passes without any prints at all? So big investment that FR couldn't afford?

Given that UK Border Agency struggle with some of the forgeries and availability and lets face it they have a Govt pumping hundreds of millions into IT.

BBC News - British passports lost abroad number 60,000 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10895588)

60,000 lost or stolen UK passports abroad and 279,000 lost or stolen in UK.

Replacing a lost or stolen passport £100 approx

Funny nobody asking Govt to do it for free.

Capetonian
23rd Sep 2013, 18:15
Racedo : You're clutching at straws now in order to prove your points.https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKYJetKJwYPaSxZFW5XnCJnhh-uuevnymodjd51TbLAngA3zrW

TSR2
23rd Sep 2013, 18:25
Replacing a lost or stolen passport £100 approx

Funny nobody asking Govt to do it for free.

A passport is a comprehensive legal document valid for 10 years. A boarding pass is a piece of paper valid for a one-off travel.

racedo
23rd Sep 2013, 18:33
Consistent service delivery, pricing, and standards across a network are the hallmark of a good service provider, airline or other.

So best on time performance, fewest cancellations, lowest pricing and standards of fewest lost bags are what exactly ? oh wait you don't like them so it matters not a jot.

Lord Spandex Masher
23rd Sep 2013, 18:35
lowest pricing and standards

:D..........

racedo
23rd Sep 2013, 18:36
Befree, plenty of pilots seem to commit Hari kari here.

To one trip man -remember "The expert knows more and more about less and less until he knows everything about nothing' Gandhi

Sadly there is a public desire of some to have their day in court no matter what. "Assumming the sword and shield of justice etc etc etc.......Jonathon Aitken.

Andrew Bowyer
23rd Sep 2013, 18:45
Racedo

As you may have guessed I do not have an aviation background, but a strong business ethic. Without wishing to be accused of sniping, you really don't get it as they say. Without customers there is no business. History is littered with companies that have fallen a long way to earth (no pun intended). I repeat, some of you guys need to remember who pays the wages at the end of the day.

racedo
23rd Sep 2013, 19:47
As you may have guessed I do not have an aviation background, but a strong business ethic. Without wishing to be accused of sniping, you really don't get it as they say. Without customers there is no business. History is littered with companies that have fallen a long way to earth (no pun intended). I repeat, some of you guys need to remember who pays the wages at the end of the day.

Hi Andrew

Aviation is a business just like any other and customers even the sucky ones pay the wages.

If in business you had a business where 99.9% of the people using it followed what they were supposed to do should you change your whole business model at great cost to accommodate a few ?

If you had a hotel where "no pets was advertised" but someone decided they wanted their pet in and dog came in unknown to you and breaching T&Cs.

After cleaning up the deposits left under the bed / pee on the floor and having painfully removed all dog hair would you think that its just business or decide allow all pets in and at a big additional cost because instead of taking 15 minutes to service a room it takes an 90 minutes because dog hairs are everywhere so now have 6 staff all day instead of 3 for half a day.

racedo
23rd Sep 2013, 19:51
Would it be at all possible if we all took a collective deep breath and resumed our discussion in the style of Harvard Business School and left the more minor aspects aside ?

DJ

As always a voice of sanity........................will follow your orders......... er suggestion.;)

j636
23rd Sep 2013, 23:15
Just 2 passengers of a group of 55 forgot to print there boarding cards. It's amazing how most of them followed the T&C's.

Ryanair make donation to Autism Ireland after imposing charge - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-make-donation-to-autism-ireland-after-imposing-charge-29599561.html)

Based
24th Sep 2013, 12:45
I am glad that there are people like you who use and praise Ryanair, along with the other 80 million who fly with them annually, it keeps them off the airlines I use.

Oh dear. Dislike Ryanair all you want (I hope you don't waste this much time and effort on everything you dislike) but don't be so obnoxious and hateful towards every other passenger that does choose to fly with them.

Consistent service delivery, pricing, and standards across a network are the hallmark of a good service provider, airline or other.

Is it not exactly for these reasons that you hate Ryanair so much?

Transportraition
24th Sep 2013, 12:51
Just finished booking 3 flights with Ryanair - an easy process. The acknowledgement from the airline tells you what you have to do before you go flying.

THERE ARE NO ' TRAPS '

Transportraition
24th Sep 2013, 13:03
Based : Regarding your first comment - you are responding to someone who seems to be immersed in hatred, and therefore best ignored.

RAT 5
24th Sep 2013, 14:11
MOL has announced a new company attitude to treat their customers more kindly.

So best on time performance, fewest cancellations, lowest pricing and standards of fewest lost bags.........

In the RYR magazine MOL claims to have an industry leading customer service model. At a business conference in Brussels he claimed that all the passenger wanted was as stated in the 2nd quote. Thus, by delivering these factors RYR had by default the best customer service. So, in 2 statements he had justified the RYR philosophy for the treatment of his salary payers. Even if RYR does indeed deliver these, it does not help being called an idiot if you can't jump through his hoops. Pax, many infrequent travellers, make mistakes and get hammered. RYR's crews are frequent flyers and being human will make mistakes. Are they treated similarly? I hope to God not.
As someone said the extra charges are penalties/fines not cost recuperations. That is not the philosophy of a true customer service orientated business.
So what has caused the change of heart within 12 months of the 2 statements above, and can the change be enough? It will have to be volcanic to come even close to the EU airline I usually try to use as 1st choice.
As I was taught many years ago, "problems start at the top, not the bottom." The solutions are the same. Is there the honest sincere will at heart to change spots? Unless it results in more dosh for those at the top, I doubt it. And if it does I'm sure those at the bottom won't see any of it.

Capetonian
24th Sep 2013, 14:18
Based : If you wish to debate, do so on the basis of what I've written, not your interpretation thereof and your failure to understand.

onyxcrowle
24th Sep 2013, 22:10
Im not sure if there Are Ryanair pilots on here but as a traveler who would prefer to use either of my two local aiports . HUY and DSA.
Do you think if we as passengers asked he would consider basing a few at Dsa or a couple at Huy.
He could offer one or rwo routes with better pricing than Wizz and has freed up two airframes cancelling a couple of leeds routes.
We have two Routes frim Dsa but would love Oleary to Give us more.
How about parris, Weeze, Eindhoven (Nr enough for Amsterdam).
And wed like to see Dublin and perhaps Knock or Shannon. Dublin with cheap fares unlike RE that tried, With decent timings I bet you fill it.
This isnt meant to be a lame spotters email but Wishing Ryanair would give us an Early Christmas present with new routes.
Perhaps a winter sku destination. Some extra Costa stuff.
Bring back Belfast Fly be didnt give us Enough flights.
And perhaps other German destinations.
I know this is a long shot but it would be nice to get a reply from them.
After alk the airport is always quiet . Wizz air have a monoply on Eastern European flights.
So with a half empty airport. Huge runway and Scope for expansion. Whats he waiting for

davidjohnson6
24th Sep 2013, 22:19
Onyx - not quite sure how to put it, but O'Leary and Santa Claus are quite different people. One wants the world's children to be happy while the other just wants as much of your money as possible. If enough people in South Yorkshire are prepared to pay enough hard cash for existing routes or the owners of DSA / HUY prepared to pay large marketing fees then you'll get your Xmas present - otherwise you'll get naff all.

LBIA
24th Sep 2013, 23:41
Yes it dose look like Ryanair have decided suspend flights to Gdansk and Vilnius for the winter season from LBA seen as they are both no longer on sale. But they won't be sending aircraft to either DSA or HUY to operate the routes instead.
As far as I understand there is still enough work at LBA for 2 operational aircraft every day with a 3rd aircraft remaining parked up acting as a spare back up which will be used when required to pick up the pieces in case of delays or diverts due weather.

onyxcrowle
25th Sep 2013, 00:06
Still given the lack of flights conpared to LBA/HUY.
It must be tempting to wade in with a few routes and a new base.
With Ryanair They probably be cheaper than the last time it was tried.
And one cant use it as an excuse for being too short a sector as they iperate LPL-DUB.

EI-A330-300
25th Sep 2013, 09:43
Anyone know why FR having another press conference in London today, noticed they tweeted it would was delayed due to fog at DUB.

Shed-on-a-Pole
25th Sep 2013, 09:54
Onyx - Sadly, you have the airline industry's thought-process quite wrong (as davidjohnson6 has already indicated). Ryanair will likely never be motivated by an urge to serve an airport based on its geographical location (although this factor can rule a place out). Mayors and councillors concern themselves with civic pride. Airline companies concern themselves with profit opportunities. In the case of Ryanair, they have the whole of Europe to choose from ... not just regions of the British Isles. And certain established bases within the British Isles already have expansion agreements cemented in place with Ryanair. DSA and HUY may indeed be fine places, but would a dispassionate airline accountant identify them as Europe's most compelling untapped profit opportunity at this time? I suspect not.

And why would serving DSA "probably be cheaper than the last time it was tried"? Has there been deflation? Have airport running costs tumbled? Have councillors in Yorkshire and Humberside (facing budget cuts in common with other councils) decided that a substantial slice of their falling revenue should be dedicated to subsidising airline routes? Has Yorkshire's tourist board established a financial incentive package to attract air services? Is the area a compelling mass tourism destination or a hotspot for migrant labour flows? In the absence of these factors lining up for Ryanair at DSA, I suspect that the airport will be seen as less "tempting" than many competing opportunities across Europe.

It is a common misconception amongst the public that airlines are motivated to plug gaps on a map. They may give the impression of doing so at times - but be assured that profit opportunity is the true underlying incentive. Ask not where there is a hole in the network. Ask where there is a financially lucrative untapped market! And one which is even more compelling than all the other contenders across Europe vying for scarce air carrier resources.

Cyrano
25th Sep 2013, 11:03
I can only salute Shed-on-a-Pole's eloquence and agree 100%.

IIRC Ryanair's fleet size is actually static or shrinking slightly over the next season or two until the next deliveries start. They will therefore be playing current and wannabee destination airports off each other even more aggressively (sorry, I mean "abruptly" :hmm:) than before. Moreover, they have recently signed a major expansion agreement with MAG which will see their additional UK capacity growth centred on STN.

Given their (understandable) hostility to UK APD, it is hard to see a compelling case for them to base any further capacity in the UK as opposed to some other European market.

And that's even before thinking about whether there's a specific market in DSA or HUY, or (more relevant) whether the airport operators, tourist authorities and local councils are prepared to cough up substantial sums of incentive cash to facilitate the resulting stream of outbound leisure passengers (because sorry, the traffic on any such flights will be predominantly outbound).

Do you think if we as passengers asked he would consider basing a few at Dsa or a couple at Huy.

So with a half empty airport. Huge runway and Scope for expansion. Whats he waiting for

There are airports which are half (or more) empty, with huge runways and scope for expansion, all over Europe. The answer to your second question is very simple: he is waiting for a large quantum of financial support. If you as passengers attached a cheque for a million or two a year, payable to Airport Marketing Services, to your request, you might get your base (and some jolly-good-value marketing links on the Ryanair website too). Otherwise, the answer to your first question is here (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=no&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=I8FCUtXmJczH7AbPjoHACw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1316&bih=800&dpr=1#q=no&tbm=isch&imgdii=_).

pee
25th Sep 2013, 11:45
I think the down-trend in Ryanair's popularity might be more pronounced than we expected. What I've just learned, the HHN - TMP route, formerly a great runner, will be also suspended! This route used to be one of the best routes from HHN, traditionally one with the extraordinary LF's and yield, taking one of the top routes in local (HHN) statistics. Look what's happening, this route became much less popular now, not enough to continue, a very momentous issue for me.

Not sure if you use the term "litmus test" as a metaphor, but here we have an example. Finnish customers' behaviour could be used as an early indicator of those of a general Western-European population. In a way Finns are more sensitive, vulnerable, susceptible. The more mistrust arises from the media and the more we encounter all this insane "standing places" or "toilet savings" propaganda, the clearer drop of interest in using the carrier. More prudent, less price-sensitive? I don't know, but that seems to be the case. Why do I think so? Well, there are e.g. fundamental differences between Tampere (where Finns are the majority of passengers) and Lappeenranta (most of passengers come from St. Petersburg, Finns are just some 20% or so). In the same period TMP results are deteriorating, LPP constantly excellent. Maybe I'm putting the cat among the pigeons right now, but please don't get me wrong, I do not try to categorize the passengers as "better" or "worse", nothing of that kind. That should serve as an indicator and maybe as warning as well. Beware what and to whom are you talking and how do you treat your customers, it can influence your popularity in the way you probably didn't expect. The choice of any carrier's future routes and destinations as well.

ELondonPax
25th Sep 2013, 11:54
According to a short item on BBC Radio4 at lunchtime today, the Ryanair press conference this morning was about (1) accepting Amex (to facilitate corporate travel bookings) and (2) simplify the website booking process.

racedo
25th Sep 2013, 12:00
I think the down-trend in Ryanair's popularity might be more pronounced than we expected. What I've just learned, the HHN - TMP route, formerly a great runner, will be also suspended! This route used to be one of the best routes from HHN, traditionally one with the extraordinary LF's and yield, taking one of the top routes in local (HHN) statistics. Look what's happening, this route became much less popular now, not enough to continue, a very momentous issue for me.

What has been the trend through the winter months for PAX numbers both inbound and outbound ?
In addition what level of delays have occurred that are weather related ?

pee
25th Sep 2013, 12:16
^^ A further issue with HHN is of course linked to its usage as the connecting airport, for connecting flights I mean. For many pax it used to be a great place to make self-projected connections. With daily flights (for some time even twice-daily), one was able to make as many connecting flights as the imagination allowed. Recently it wasn't possible any more. With diminishing frequencies, even if one-way connection found, the swift return wasn't possible. Another opportunity (for both pax and FR) lost.

DublinPole
25th Sep 2013, 20:51
Following suspended shortly after start of winter season. Most likely to come back just before the summer season.

Gdańsk - Birmingham (flights to November 5)
Modlin - Frankfurt Hahn Airport (flights to 4 November)
Modlin - Dusseldorf Weeze (flights to November 4)
Poznan - East Midlands (flights to November 5)
Poznan - Edinburgh (flights to 4 November)
Lodz - Edinburgh (flights to November 3)
Lodz - Liverpool (flights to November 3)
Wroclaw - Bournemouth (flights to November 4)
Wroclaw - Malmo (flights to November 5)
Rzeszow - Bristol (flights to 4 November)
Rzeszow - Glasgow / Prestwick (flights to November 3)
Lublin - Liverpool (flights to November 4)
Katowice - Edinburgh (flights to 3 November)
Kraków - Gothenburg (flights to November 5)
Krakow - Billund (flights to November 5).

Jack1985
26th Sep 2013, 09:37
Looks like Ryanair are going to announce a base for Modlin in the next few hours!

eu01
26th Sep 2013, 12:59
...and a couple of domestic routes there.

davidjohnson6
26th Sep 2013, 13:22
I note that Ryanair has decided to accept Amex to facilitate bookings from the corporate market. Ryanair's average route length is about 1h45 and Europe generally has a well developed air and ground transport infrastructure. This means that for all but the smallest of airports, there is usually a half decent indirect alternative to flying Ryanair if such a reason exists. The generally accepted wisdom is that to attract those flying within Europe on business (and prepared to pay big corporate cash), one needs to provide a good frequency of flights to airports that are within fairly easy reach of commercial centres.

I accept that some routes are more likely to win corporate business than others by virtue of importance of different airports (e.g. Dublin versus Rodez), but the topic of route frequency still puzzles me. Is there a serious plan to raise frequency on routes which may have business appeal ?
Furthermore, is there a plan to make reservation systems more integrated with the rest of the corporate travel market, possibly extending to listing flights on GDS like Amadeus or will there be a reliance upon corporate travellers booking flights on their own Amex individually ?

Jorik
26th Sep 2013, 14:06
NEW ROUTES:

Warsaw Modlin - Gdansk
Warsaw Modlin - Wroclaw
Warsaw Modlin - Alicante
Warsaw Modlin - Thessaloniki

j636
26th Sep 2013, 15:02
FR have won in south Belgium. The planned 3 euro travel tax as being scrapped.

j636
30th Sep 2013, 15:42
Ryanair email address follows consumer agency action - Consumer News & Advice | Pricewatch, Money Advice | The Irish Time - Mon, Sep 30, 2013 (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/ryanair-email-address-follows-consumer-agency-action-1.1545102)

Only available to Irish passengers.

Drive4it
30th Sep 2013, 16:14
Hi all.
I see FR have rolled out initial schedule at STN for Apr-Jun14 for routes such as RHO.

Any ideas when we can expect to see other UK departures for the same period?

j636
2nd Oct 2013, 18:47
So Ryanair were hit with an 8 million euro fine today in France over the MRS base employment. Ryanair join a growing list to be fined, Easyjet and Cityjet have had similar rulings. Needless to say FR to appeal it.

Ryanair To Appeal French Court Ruling Fines (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-to-appeal-french-court-ruling-and-fines)

munrobagger
3rd Oct 2013, 15:58
Edinburgh / Barcelona to be axed due to poor loadings - now that's a surprise .
Jet 2 must be favourites as there are " discussions with other airlines "

Jack1985
3rd Oct 2013, 18:47
Don't Vueling operate seasonally on the route? Can't they just be persuaded to operate year-round rather than the typical EZY, LS or FR.

Callum Johnstone
3rd Oct 2013, 20:34
Edinburgh / Barcelona to be axed due to poor loadings - now that's a surprise .
Jet 2 must be favourites as there are " discussions with other airlines "
Last winter's EDI-BCN loads really weren't all that bad, generally in the 80 per cents. Suspect this is just the usual Ryanair politics.

Jet2 could be possible providers of a year-round EDI-BCN service, as indeed could easyJet, but as Jack1985 says, an extended Vueling schedule could be possible too. It's capacity which I'm sure EDI will recover.

j636
14th Oct 2013, 16:26
Spain to cut airport costs from Jan 14 to increase traffic, reduced rates will apply to new routes or any increase in flights from all carriers. Madrid and Barcelona will see the doubling of charges reversed.

Exasperated
15th Oct 2013, 17:23
Spain to cut airport costs from Jan 14 to increase traffic, reduced rates will apply to new routes or any increase in flights from all carriers. Madrid and Barcelona will see the doubling of charges reversed.

Wonder if that is the reason for the EDI-BCN cut so that they can take advantage of the reduced rates with a reintroduction.

Just a thought.

Ex

j636
15th Oct 2013, 17:49
Ryanair have called a press conference tomorrow in Dublin, suggestions that a deal may of being done to scrap the €3 Travel Tax.

Aerlingus231
15th Oct 2013, 17:55
Ryanair have called a press conference tomorrow in Dublin, suggestions that a deal may of being done to scrap the €3 Travel Tax.

The Government announced that the travel tax was to be withdrawn today, Aer Lingus, Aer Arann and Ryanair have already given statements to that effect.

racedo
15th Oct 2013, 17:56
Wow you mean 2 Govts deciding that maybe introducing a travel tax (after being told how stupid it is) have finally realised how stupid it is.

Next Govts will be asking does a animal with fur go to toilet in the woods.......:ugh::ugh:

j636
15th Oct 2013, 17:56
The Government announced that the travel tax was to be withdrawn today, Aer Lingus, Aer Arann and Ryanair have already given statements to that effect.

They have but FR have also called a press conference for tomorrow and I don't think it will be about a little statement.

j636
15th Oct 2013, 17:58
Wow you mean 2 Govts deciding that maybe introducing a travel tax (after being told how stupid it is) have finally realised how stupid it is.

Next Govts will be asking does a animal with fur go to toilet in the woods.......:ugh::ugh:

racedo

You never know the UK may realise it in time or do you feel it was a good move from the UK Gov?

Aerlingus231
15th Oct 2013, 18:06
They have but FR have also called a press conference for tomorrow and I don't think it will be about a little statement.

Yes, but my point was that this wasn't "A deal may have been done", Ryanair didn't know about this prior to today, it wasn't them making a deal with the Government, if they had they would have had a conference scheduled already before the budget and you can bet MOL would have been screaming from the roof tops about how Ryanair had freed the people of Ireland from "An unfair and uneconomic tax", although no doubt he'll try and claim he did in tomorrow conference.

I wouldn't expect a new route, although it could help some routes that were struggling, or perhaps extend some Seasonal routes a little longer.

j636
15th Oct 2013, 18:10
Yes, but my point was that this wasn't "A deal may have been done", Ryanair didn't know about this prior to today, it wasn't them making a deal with the Government, if they had they would have had a conference scheduled already before the budget and you can bet MOL would have been screaming from the roof tops about how Ryanair had freed the people of Ireland from "An unfair and uneconomic tax", although no doubt he'll try and claim he did in tomorrow conference.

I wouldn't expect a new route, although it could help some routes that were struggling, or perhaps extend some Seasonal routes a little longer.

Not saying a deal was done but just saying it has being suggested,

Stevek
16th Oct 2013, 11:22
Any word from the presser in Dublin?

j636
16th Oct 2013, 13:15
Not sure if DUB will benefit but SNN might see increase in base.

j636
16th Oct 2013, 14:09
I million extra passengers from Ireland from April at DUB, ORK, SNN, KIR and NOC combined. Not a lot of detail but will talk to airports over next 2 days to see where new routes are needed and increased freq.

Edit - here's the Press Release
Ryanair Will Grow Traffic At Irish Airports By Over 1m Passengers? (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-will-grow-traffic-at-irish-airports-by-over-1m-passengers-p-a-from-april-2014)

FRatSTN
16th Oct 2013, 16:15
So all Irish airports and Stansted getting more Ryanair traffic next year. We certainly haven't seen that for a while!

Strange that we haven't really yet heard anything about expansion plans in Spain, especially for Barcelona and Madrid, following AENA's move to lower charges. Ryanair do not get any new aircraft until September 2014. Could it be maybe that they don't have enough aircraft to commit to Spain as well?

If Stansted, and then airports in Ireland and Spain see substantial growth next year and with no new aircraft coming in, there really is going to have to be quite a bit of cutting back from other markets.

mikkie4
16th Oct 2013, 20:54
Ryanair asking pax for comments on how to make FR a better airline(flood gates open)

Jamie2k9
16th Oct 2013, 21:10
Ryanair do not get any new aircraft until September 2014

and the current fleet reduces before then, capacity will be tight next summer.

racedo
16th Oct 2013, 22:01
and the current fleet reduces before then, capacity will be tight next summer.

Hold existing fleet to end of Summer and get Boeing to bring forward some deliveries.............

Additionally there are least 738's stored by Lease co's ...........

As FR / Boeing have sourced end users for the 738's that the new aircraft will replace then also posssible a deal will become available.

Everything is possible.

compton3bravo
17th Oct 2013, 11:39
Assuming of course all these extra passengers are suddenly going to appear overnight. Most of Europe is still under a dark economic cloud with money still very tight for most people, so I would just hold your horses so to speak unless, of course, someone waves a magic wand!

pee
17th Oct 2013, 12:42
I perceive these expansion promises mostly as a kind of MOL's political manifesto ("reducing taxes is good for tourism, air travel, economy etc"). In general terms his attitude towards taxation is correct. Lower taxes are good for economy, albeit in that context the expansion will not necessary be good for his airline; the Irish "economic niche" is limited by size (of the country and its population) and the 4€ difference in taxation will not necessary have as obvious "boost potential" as Ryanair would like to prove.

Sober Lark
17th Oct 2013, 13:54
Pee, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the tax was €3 to UK and €10 to any other destination.

Ireland isn't unique in having an air travel tax and I'm sure many outsiders in a similar situation will look on with interest at the benefits of its removal.

It is obvious the Exchequer's tax take on promised growth in overseas tourism numbers and earnings will more than offset the loss especially when coupled with the retained reduced VAT reduction for the tourism and hospitality sector.

Ryanair is one of the airlines that will avail of the opportunity created.

pee
17th Oct 2013, 14:23
^^ Well indeed
€10 for each passenger flying to an airport more than 300 km from Dublin Airport
And that's much! The unquestionable success of MOL (among else), good example for some other European countries.

j636
17th Oct 2013, 20:14
Pee its being a flat 3 euro rate since 2010/11 after the EU rules that the 10 and 2 euro taxes were illegal and was then capped at 3 across the board.

pee
18th Oct 2013, 05:53
^^ If it's only 3 euro, I have to reiterate. Not enough to explain the expansion in other terms than a political manifesto. It's all relative, you see.

Sober Lark
18th Oct 2013, 07:26
Thanks for the correction. Revenue haven't updated their web site to reflect.

In the Netherlands they introduced a tax in July 2008 and abolished it a year later so what was their experience?

A couple of Euro may not sound like much but I'd imagine leisure passengers are far more price sensitive than business passengers. I agree with you pee that it is hard to imagine the imposition of such a tax been the real reason for capacity reduction and now that it has been reversed is Ryanair's promise of 1 million extra pax a year realistic.

When the tax was introduced, Ryanair were not the only airline in Ireland to shout from the rafters. Aer Lingus and City Jet sang along too. If Ryanair are right and we see an uplift in numbers then it will demonstrate the futility of such a tax and that may be an advantage to other countries who argue the same point.

RAT 5
18th Oct 2013, 16:19
A couple of Euro may not sound like much but I'd imagine leisure passengers are far more price sensitive than business passengers. I agree with you pee that it is hard to imagine the imposition of such a tax been the real reason for capacity reduction and now that it has been reversed is Ryanair's promise of 1 million extra pax a year realistic.

When the tax was introduced, Ryanair were not the only airline in Ireland to shout from the rafters. Aer Lingus and City Jet sang along too. If Ryanair are right and we see an uplift in numbers then it will demonstrate the futility of such a tax and that may be an advantage to other countries who argue the same point.

You have got to be joking. A couple of years ago, after the volcano fiasco and RYR claimed to have a cost of €60m, they introduced a €2 EU261 charge/tax for such catastrophes. That was 3 years ago and at 70m pax pa that = €140m per year, and there have not been too many major catastrophes; so RYR have imposed their own travel tax. Not to mention the increase in so many other charges on top of...on top of.. Hypocrisy comes to mind. What's new?

dublinaviator
18th Oct 2013, 16:38
@RAT-5, that wasn't their own tax, it was a charge levied on airlines by the European Commission which Ryanair decided to pass on to the customer. The cost of such catastrophes is neither the responsibility of the airlines or passengers so I don't think either should have to pay it, but either way Ryanair isn't charging it by choice and doesn't benefit financially from it as it would from say charging for check-in.

As for the tax itself, I think it's right to abolish it. Airlines should make some contribution for tackling their carbon footprint and already do so through the Emissions Trading Scheme, but taxing passengers only serves to act as a disincentive to travel by air which may be fine for countries on the continent and even the UK but there are only 2 ways of getting to/from Ireland and the main one is by air. So we're taxing tourists and business travellers for coming here, which sends out the wrong message and inevitably leads to them going elsewhere so whatever revenue is brought in from the tax is outweighed by the money taken out of the economy.

j636
18th Oct 2013, 17:00
The tax costs over 20 million per year to Ryanair, this plus the charge of around 19 euro per head departing DUB combine both with weak demand. FR largely had no choice but to increase traffic as they kept harping on for it to be scrapped and they would increase traffic and if they did nothing it would look bad and the tax would be back.

racedo
18th Oct 2013, 17:30

Irish Govt makes the travel tax back on a visitor to Ireland going to the Pub and buying 3 pints of beer.

Cyrano
18th Oct 2013, 17:41
@RAT-5, that wasn't their own tax, it was a charge levied on airlines by the European Commission which Ryanair decided to pass on to the customer.

Not true, sir. The courts have ruled that the airlines have a duty of care even in extraordinary circumstances. That's not a Commission levy.

You seem to be suggesting that Ryanair is merely passing on an externally imposed charge. That's far from the truth. They are raking in extra revenue on an entirely specious pretext.

This report (http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0131/365458-ryanair-told-to-pay-volcano-compensation/) suggests that Ryanair paid out €26m in compensation after the Icelandic volcano; RAT-5 suggests that the figure is €60m. Even taking the higher figure, if Ryanair are earning €150m a year from their €2m levy, that covers 2.5 volcanoes per year. A bit of margin there, wouldn't you say? :hmm:

dublinaviator
18th Oct 2013, 17:52
You're correct, my mistakes. The EU261 resolution found that airlines should pay passengers compensation in cases of “force majeure”. Aside from being as nonsense as taxing passengers to fund compensation cases, it left airlines with the choice of paying such compensation cases out of their own revenue or passing the cost onto passengers in the form of a levy.

So granted, Ryanair are probably profiting from the levy, but it was still forced on them by the EU261 resolution.

Sober Lark
18th Oct 2013, 20:35
Racedo, in that million don't forget to allow for the fact that the outbound 'locals' won't be buying their pints here.

Rat, you couldn't buy insurance to cover you for such an eventuality as cheap as the levy Ryanair charged.

racedo
18th Oct 2013, 21:49
Racedo, in that million don't forget to allow for the fact that the outbound 'locals' won't be buying their pints here.

True but loss of tax for 500,000 extra passengers going out is offset by 3 pints for 500,000 coming in..............no incoming tax.

Reckon on a weekend away excluding flight then likely to spend €400 including hotel, food and drink, taxis, sightseeing and keeping SWMBO away from shopping frenzy........reckon a minimum 75% multiplier makes it worth £1000 to local economy plus will create some jobs which may pay some tax or take someone off dole.

Locals tend not to stay in hotels etc..........

racedo
18th Oct 2013, 21:54
So granted, Ryanair are probably profiting from the levy, but it was still forced on them by the EU261 resolution.

Which is why allow bureaucrats to be involved screws everybody...............buy travel insurance OR not.

Expecting airline to pay €1000 costs to put someone up because Govts refuse to allow airline to fly when someone has paid €50 for a flight seems like a Govt inspired stupid idea.

Sober Lark
21st Oct 2013, 08:29
You're not far off Racedo. In the UK the average spend by inbound tourists was a little under £500. The top five markets for the UK being France, Germany, USA, Irish Republic. Local economies need 'shopping frenzy' tourists but in that respect are all low cost airlines equal in the type of tourist they deliver? Is a Ryanair tourist worth more than say an Easy Jet tourist?

befree
21st Oct 2013, 09:31
The people put off doing an extra trip by a few euros departure tax are likely to be those going on very short breaks with small budgets. The other impact may be that people stay an extra few days on their main trip rather than do many short ones. For most people there is a fix number of days off per year and fixed income.

EI-A330-300
21st Oct 2013, 17:05
Ryanair's MOL has confirmed during a t*witter Q&A that Dublin and Shannon will have news routes form April while fares will also be dropped as the travel tax is scrapped. Nothing mentioned about Knock, Kerry or Cork.

racedo
21st Oct 2013, 17:38
Local economies need 'shopping frenzy' tourists but in that respect are all low cost airlines equal in the type of tourist they deliver? Is a Ryanair tourist worth more than say an Easy Jet tourist?

Good point

I reckon that potentially a tourist to a smaller city is worth more............
Airport job is likely to be taken by a local person living there than someone moving into area..............likely to spend income locally rather than remitting it abroad
Accomm ..........again more likely to stay in family owned or run accom rather than a Holiday Inn / Hilton / Chain where cash sent to HQ with result that owner will spend it locally
Food............a similar situation

Would 100,000 extra tourists to London be noticed V 100,000 extra tourists to Clare / Kerry etc

positive
21st Oct 2013, 18:55
Ryanair's MOL has confirmed during a t*witter Q&A that Dublin and Shannon will have news routes form April while fares will also be dropped as the travel tax is scrapped. Nothing mentioned about Knock, Kerry or Cork.

Will these new routes push Ryanair as Dublin's no.1 carrier again?

PAXboy
21st Oct 2013, 21:24
Reading the story of his inaugural talk witter, is amusing: What happened when Ryanair?s outspoken boss Michael O?Leary went on Twitter? He crash-landed spectacularly - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/what-happened-when-ryanairs-outspoken-boss-michael-oleary-went-on-twitter-he-crashlanded-spectacularly-8895204.html)

Amongst the more serious:
Among the mud-slinging, Ryanair passengers learned a few things about the airline’s plans. It will be introducing smartphone-enabled check-in by the summer, which should reduce the number of passengers obliged to pay £70 for failing to arrive at the airline without one printed out. And there are no plans to introduce assigned seating, as easyJet has recently done.

Among the many tweets to go unanswered were some about tragic personal circumstances. “Due to fly to Riga on Saturday but can’t go as my mum in law is losing her cancer battle. 388 quid to re-book seems unfair,” read one. “Why no response for a refund request (sent reg. post) in over a month from seriously ill girl with special needs? @Ryanair #scum” went another.

More amusingly:
Andy Gilderdale mocked the airline’s policy of using “secondary” airports. “Tried to send you a question on Twitter but it ended up on Facebook instead. Still, by your standards that’s close enough

Capetonian
21st Oct 2013, 21:27
“What type of people do you enjoy mistreating most? I’m guessing elderly and disabled?” was one of the earliest tweets, quickly followed by: “Were you born an arsehole or has it progressed throughout your life?” and: “Is it company policy for your staff to be rude and unhelpful as possible?”
Some real gems!

racedo
21st Oct 2013, 21:30
Not sure how it is a fail when you ask people and get their response.............

Sober Lark
22nd Oct 2013, 06:33
From a passenger point of view I'm not seeing the value of this twit stunt. Obviously Ryanair set it up for journalists and journalists set it up for Ryanair.

Zipster
22nd Oct 2013, 20:47
Just saw the Ryanair Pilot Group (RPG) announced they have a press conference coming up soon in Bruxelles.

I believe this is great news for pilots in general and Ryanair pilots in particular and also worthy of some attention here on PPrune :ok:

PPRNkof
22nd Oct 2013, 21:14
Great news because? Not being difficult, just clarify why. Assuming you're not just another RA basher. They're so unsafe, they're in league with the devil.

To be clear, I don't like the employment T&Cs that RA use. The laws need to be changed IMO. And it's not just airlines that take advantage of their employees in this way (zero hour contracts).

Zipster
22nd Oct 2013, 22:21
Not a problem PPRNkof. It´s great news because the RPG have made tremendous progress so far and that effort is worthy of attention. People seem to be moving mountains in the background for the benefit of others and it would be wrong not to acknowledge that, and there is no better way to do that then here on PPRune. :ok:

maggot738
24th Oct 2013, 15:46
8 new routes announced for Shannon from April 2014 including Krakow, Warsaw, Munich, Faro, Fuetaventura and Berlin.

Journey Man
25th Oct 2013, 02:33
How come there is no thread about the Ryanair Pilots Group's upcoming press conference? Surely, Shirley, this is newsworthy?

racedo
25th Oct 2013, 09:22
Ryanair Announces Customer Service Improvements Over Next 6 Months (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-announces-customer-service-improvements-over-next-6-months)

1. The “Recaptcha” security code will be removed from the Ryanair.com website for individual bookings next week (on 1 Nov next).

2. From 1 Nov, customers who book directly on the Ryanair.com website (i.e. not via travel agents or screenscrapers) will be given a 24 hour grace period from the time of their original booking, to correct any minor errors (i.e. spelling, names, routings) made in their original booking.
3. From 1 Nov, Ryanair will operate “quiet flights”, prior to 8am in the mornings and after 9pm in the evenings. During these quiet flight periods no PA’s will be made on board other than required safety announcements. Ryanair will also dim the lights during these quiet flights so that any customers who wish to snooze, can comfortably do so.
4. From 1 Dec, Ryanair will allow passengers to bring a 2nd small carry-on bag (small ladies handbag or small airport shopping bag) no bigger than 35 x 20 x 20 cms which will allow a bottle of wine or equivalent to be carried.

5. From 1 Dec, Ryanair’s boarding card reissue fee will be cut from €70/£70 to €15/£15 for customers who have already checked in online. Customers who fail to check-in online will continue to pay a €70 airport check-in fee.

6. From 1 Jan, Ryanair’s standard airport bag fees will be cut from €60/£60 to €30/£30 at the bag drop desk, and from €60/£60 to €50/£50 at the boarding gate, bringing them into line with competitor airline standard airport bag fees

-----
Reasonable and no doubt will annoy Daily Mail as thats at least 10 stories a year gone :E

racedo
25th Oct 2013, 09:24
the high court (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/daily-mirror-settles-defamation-action-with-ryanair)

Another one folds, likely on their lawyer advice as to settle now or you buying us new Villa in fees.

Journey Man
25th Oct 2013, 10:40
Why is mention of the upcoming RPG press conference being deleted? Any mention of RPG and the thread is gone.

west lakes
25th Oct 2013, 10:47
The court was told Ryanair had engaged a law firm in Los Angeles to file libel proceedings against a number of defendants in the Los Angeles Superior Court. It had also issued proceedings against Internet Brands in California, the registered owner of a website used by pilots, and issued subpoenas against Yahoo, Microsoft (http://www.irishtimes.com/search/search-7.1213540) and Google (http://www.irishtimes.com/search/search-7.1213540) in pursuit of information.

Probably to do with this!!

Ryanair sues council that runs RPG - Tourism News | Travel & Tourism Industry News | The Irish Times - Mon, Oct 21, 2013 (http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-sues-council-that-runs-rpg-1.1568198)

racedo
25th Oct 2013, 12:19
Why is mention of the upcoming RPG press conference being deleted? Any mention of RPG and the thread is gone.

You mean like the post that was made 3 posts before yours announcing it ?

pamann
25th Oct 2013, 16:24
3. From 1 Nov, Ryanair will operate “quiet flights”, prior to 8am in the mornings and after 9pm in the evenings. During these quiet flight periods no PA’s will be made on board other than required safety announcements. Ryanair will also dim the lights during these quiet flights so that any customers who wish to snooze, can comfortably do so.

Best move ever by RyanAir IMHO. Shame it's not the other way around though (9am to 8pm). Great move! :ok:

Thunderbirdsix
25th Oct 2013, 17:47
Another newspaper sued over Ryanair Safety coughs up

Ryanair settles Daily Mirror defamation case - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1025/482635-ryanair-libel/)

And

Ryanair to reduce fees and operate 'quiet flights' - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1025/482625-ryanair/)

And

Ryanair announces eight new Shannon routes - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/1024/482422-ryanair-shannon-airport/)

chksix
25th Oct 2013, 17:52
Oh good! All issues solved now. :ugh:

Una Due Tfc
25th Oct 2013, 18:41
I hope improving the website involves making all the extras "opt in" rather than "opt out", as that annoys me so much I don't even bother checking with it when flying, I just go straight to their competitor's sites.

All in all the above improvements are very very welcome and may tempt me to use them again in the future

ayroplain
25th Oct 2013, 19:07
Also having the final full price including taxes quoted at the start of the process like Norwegian do would be nice.
Well, it must be quite some while since you booked with FR or else you're reading too much of the Daily Mail :). The full price including taxes is what I get every time I book.

Una Due Tfc
25th Oct 2013, 21:28
Ha Ayroplain what a withering statement, accusing me of reading that rag! I sincerely appologise for my inaccurate post! Previous inaccuracy removed

Capetonian
25th Oct 2013, 21:34
Ryanair Announces Customer Service Improvements Over Next 6 Months (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-announces-customer-service-improvements-over-next-6-months)

Please excuse me for viewing this with a healthy dose of cynicism as another of O'Leary's excellent publicity stunts.

racedo
25th Oct 2013, 21:49

Please excuse me for viewing this with a healthy dose of cynicism as another of O'Leary's excellent publicity stunts.

He tends to deliver on what he says he will, then again as you never fly them why do you care ?