PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - 9

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

davidjohnson6
3rd Jul 2013, 09:12
The reports from the Warsaw Business Journal looks wrong - 1.22m passengers per year giving 28.11 % market share implies Poland in 2012 had only 4.3m air passengers for the duration of 2012
Warsaw (not Modlin) alone had almost 10m passengers in 2012

Update - Warsaw Business Journal seem to have amended their online article to read Q1 2013 rather than full year 2012

DublinPole
3rd Jul 2013, 09:41
That table where they sourced the data from is for the first quarter of each year.

I don't know where that particular publication sourced it from but I've seen this news article in various places which clearly states it's from Q1.

eu01
3rd Jul 2013, 09:43
Well indeed, total number of pax in PL in 2012 amounted to 24 435 557 (according to Polish CAA):confused:. Looks like a very "creative" journalists' approach to the statistics :uhoh: - but supposedly FR was the number one in Poland last year anyway.

anna_list
3rd Jul 2013, 17:23
Hello,

For those that are interested, the official Polish CAA statistics are published here:
Urz?d Lotnictwa Cywilnego (http://www.ulc.gov.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=324&Itemid=466)

The 2012 figures by airline are here: http://www.ulc.gov.pl/_download/regulacja_rynku/wg_przewonikw_4_2012_j.pdf (page 2 for the annual figures, page 1 for Q4).
Ryanair were number two in 2012, over 1.1 million passengers behind LOT. However, Ryanair's growth in Poland accelerated in the second half of 2012, with the new Modlin routes being introduced (although they are now at Chopin for the time being).

The Q1 2013 figures by airline are here:
http://www.ulc.gov.pl/_download/regulacja_rynku/statystyki/wg_przew_j_2013_1q.pdf.
It's true, Ryanair have just squeezed past LOT and carried more passengers for the first time in this quarter. With the opening of the Krakow base, capacity cuts by LOT and a lack of growth in Poland from Wizzair, it seems likely that they will retain that position for the rest of the year at least.

caja
4th Jul 2013, 11:46
Lisbon a new Ryanair base?

Ryanair asked to Lisbon 4,708 slots which were all assigned and also has pending over 1847.

EI-A330-300
4th Jul 2013, 15:00
Ryanair did say by 2014 they wanted a base in LIS.

In other news:
Ryanair pilots step up efforts to force talks with airline - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/world/ryanair-pilots-step-up-efforts-to-force-talks-with-airline-29394157.html)

TheDaddy
4th Jul 2013, 18:02
119 - I'm glad it amused you! :rolleyes:

I'll say it once again and apologise for clearly upsetting some people.
My badly judged 'Ryanair' comment was in response to fepilot's comment 'Instructor jobs/ ryanair etc are an option of course'.

Waldo1
6th Jul 2013, 20:12
Whats going on with this flight from manchester to tenerife? Its diverted to dublin by the looks of it and burning off fuel?

Jamie2k9
6th Jul 2013, 21:51
indicator reasons, departed after a test was carried out.

Waldo1
6th Jul 2013, 22:42
See its on its way now....nightmare

sunday8pm
8th Jul 2013, 15:41
Still waiting for STN-SZG to go on sale this winter...surely they haven't dropped it. Don't want to have to use Easy at LGW and start my ski trip in a queue at the Dartford crossing.

FRatSTN
8th Jul 2013, 17:16
Is still a list of routes not yet available from Stansted, I'd hang on in there a bit longer if I were you. It tends to be Tuesdays-Thursday's that they put routes on sale, so maybe in the next few days?

j636
9th Jul 2013, 20:29
Ryanair are the most inflexible airline, I have just payed through the roof to reschedule a flight that I missed which I had no control over, they need to be a little more flexible given the circumstances. All I was told was to write to customer relations and see if they will give a refund.

It was a last minute booking and never again will I book with them, other carriers in DUB were doing everything possible to help passengers.

sunday8pm
9th Jul 2013, 21:52
This is the nature of the beast though, t'has always been so.

ScotsSLF
9th Jul 2013, 21:57
Just flown FR for the first time in three years. Flew PIK - FAO - PIK - both flights bang on time; brand new aircraft; Portugese crew were friendly and efficient and the flights were cheaper than the EZY equivalent from GLA. I am a regular BA flyer and to be honest the queueing was no worse than BA and actually the scramble for locker space was less than I usually experience on the shuttle! On this occasion - well done FR.

Now I'll admit they are a less flexible airline than BA but they do highlight and emphasise their T&C's quite strongly so people really need to read these before they start to moan and complain. As they say - you get what you pay for - and if you break the rules expect to pay a lot more.

LTU_traveller
10th Jul 2013, 14:22
Hi Folks,

Anyone's aware of what's going on with winter schedule from KUN? We've been thru some word fighting between Lithuania transport minister and Ryanair officials during last three months. While ticket sales from VNO are all loaded for winter months, we only have BRS available from KUN. Even STN and DUB - these bring higher yields from KUN than VNO - are unavailable.
Looks Ryanair'ish style of bull****...

DublinPole
10th Jul 2013, 14:27
Why repost what you already did in April?
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/491559-4-ryanair-aircraft-declare-fuel-emergency-same-time-24.html#post7805868

You don't have any previous posts?

racedo
10th Jul 2013, 17:06
Why repost what you already did in April?
4 Ryanair aircraft declare fuel emergency at same time (http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/491559-4-ryanair-aircraft-declare-fuel-emergency-same-time-24.html#post7805868)

You don't have any previous posts?

Possibly a condition of an agreement.

Also posts by others who have "ran into difficulties" are no longer visible either so likely they were removed.

LGS6753
11th Jul 2013, 14:38
Ryanair’s winter schedule will include 22 new UK routes between:

• Bournemouth and Alicante
• Bournemouth and Barcelona Girona
• Bournemouth and Gran Canaria
• Bournemouth and Lanzarote
• Bournemouth and Malaga
• Bournemouth and Tenerife
• Doncaster and Tenerife
• East Midlands and Cork
• Edinburgh and Fuerteventura
• Edinburgh and Marseille
• Glasgow Prestwick and Rzeszow
• Liverpool and Lublin
• Liverpool and Malta
• London Luton and Murcia
• London Stansted and Comiso
• London Stansted and Nuremberg
• London Stansted and Ostrava
• London Stansted and Strasbourg
• Manchester and Krakow
• Manchester and Palma
• Manchester and Paphos
• Manchester and Lanzarote

...and as trailed on the Bournemouth thread, brings year-round services back to Hurn.

ericlday
11th Jul 2013, 14:41
Do you actually mean W2012 or 2013 ?

LGS6753
11th Jul 2013, 14:59
eric -

sorry, finger trouble - now corrected.

AndyH52
11th Jul 2013, 16:12
I think that whilst a number of routes may be 'new' in terms of operating through the winter, they are not new per se - the Liverpool routes being a case in point.

james170969
16th Jul 2013, 06:46
I've just had an email from Ryanair saying my flight to Malaga has been retimed. The email asks me to click on the link to accept the new time but when I do that a new page opens and asks me to type in my reservation number and a pin. How the heck do I find out what the pin is? I've never been asked for a PIN before.

alm1
16th Jul 2013, 06:58
^^^
Try last 4 digits of credit card number used to purchase the flight.

james170969
16th Jul 2013, 07:12
Thanks but that doesn't work. I tried three times and it just takes me back to the same page and asks me for the reservation number and pin again. The flight time has only changed by 20 minutes. All it means is an extra 20 minutes drinking time when I get to Torremolinos!!

lbalad
16th Jul 2013, 07:29
Have to admit that's a new one for me,had to google it.It's in Sicily btw!.

LGS6753
16th Jul 2013, 07:58
Questor share tip: Ryanair plans to grow by more than a third - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/questor/10180705/Questor-share-tip-Ryanair-plans-to-grow-by-more-than-a-third.html)

Interestingly, the same columnist also tips EasyJet today. Their strategies are diverging, as are their corporate financing models.

eu01
17th Jul 2013, 15:52
One million passengers and up to one thousand jobs at risk in Charleroi, said Ryanair today
Ryanair, la seule compagnie ultra-lost cost en Europe, a averti aujourd’hui (17 juillet) qu’elle sera contrainte de réduire son trafic de 17% si le gouvernement wallon confirme l’introduction d’une taxe de 3€ sur les billets d’avion

(Source: ryanair.com/fr-be (http://www.ryanair.com/fr-be/nouvelles/ryanair-reduira-son-trafic-de-17-si-le-gouvernement-wallon-introduit-une-taxe-de-3-euro-sur-les-billets))Briefly, the airline warned today that it will be forced to reduce its traffic in CRL by 17% if the Walloon government confirms the new tax on air tickets. The 3 € tax (per pax per one-way flight) is to be introduced as of January 1st, 2014.

DublinPole
17th Jul 2013, 16:07
Does anyone know when the Ryanair winter schedule for Ireland is going to be uploaded? There seems to be a lot of flights not on sale post the first week of November which is odd, but it seems that flights operated from other bases to Ireland are on there, as are flights to and from the UK.

Alsacienne
17th Jul 2013, 17:23
Don't quite understand why STN-SXB is being posted as a 'new' route seeing it is being currently served thrice weekly as part of a W operation to and from Oporto.

However, I would love to know how Ryanair managed to get back to SXB having slammed the door behind them so hard a few years ago ... only to take up residency at FKB.

lexoncd
18th Jul 2013, 09:05
The latest Ryanair captcha stage is a joke. I'm looking to arrange a flight for my daughter and suddenly expected to sit through a video to get a word to enter that allows me to give them my business.... Sorry but I just press reload until i get a straight forward word to enter.....and as it happens booked her with jet2 instead...Its not working like it used to..... change the model slightly and watch the business boom..

Transportraition
18th Jul 2013, 12:35
To : lexoncd. You don't have to sit through a video - after about five seconds there is an option to skip the ad.

ajamieson
18th Jul 2013, 12:51
If you found Ryanair's website too annoying, you probably wouldn't have enjoyed the actual journey...

Transportraition
18th Jul 2013, 13:09
To : ajamieson ' you probably wouldn't have enjoyed the actual journey...' Why do you say that ????

Confirmpassword
20th Jul 2013, 12:29
Does anyone know what airports in Spain Ryan have maintenance Mechs/CAT A mechs working? I know Barcelona since earlier but its doesnt say on their homepage what stations they have.

Thanks in advance.

/C

FR8364
21st Jul 2013, 09:23
^ They plan to open next year 3 new Maintenance Centres in Spain (still they do not have any). MAD, SVQ and BCN. As I am focused in SVQ, I know that in 2014 is due to open the new Maintenance Centre. They already have rented the fields ;) Any further news would be great about this.

Regards

Confirmpassword
21st Jul 2013, 09:55
Ah, thanks a lot for the info. I guess they will start the recruitment "quite soon" then.

//C

eu01
22nd Jul 2013, 14:14
Well, it seems Ryanar was able not only to use, but also to save some public money The [Irish] government says it was able to cut the costs of the European Union presidency thanks to Ryanair.
Brian Hayes says Ryanair offered a special fare of €49.99 for Irish politicians and diplomats travelling to Charleroi airport in Brussels.
The Junior Finance Minister said the fare offered good value for money when compared to the other options available to travellers.
The Irish EU presidency cost a total of €51 million which is €9 million less than originally planned.

Source: newstalk.ie (http://www.newstalk.ie/Irish-EU-Presidency-cheaper--thanks-to-Ryanair-says-Minister)
I wonder how many of those politicians did use this offer and whether it was obligatory for them?

Jack1985
22nd Jul 2013, 14:38
I wonder how many of those politicians did use this offer and whether it was obligatory for them?

The EU discriminates against Ryanair and I think with loco's in general believe it or not, well at least that was the case in 2011.

Michael O'Leary gave a speech at the Innovation Convention in Brussels that year and was invited to the event with the EU offering to pay for his flight to/from Brussels Zaventem and with a driver awaiting his arrival - However MOL requested the driver pick him up at Charleroi on a flight from Dublin. He even offered to pay for it himself, they refused wanting him to fly to Zaventem. MOL arrived via taxi flying to Charleroi. Kind of sums up politics in general though?

Being honest I don't think there were a great deal of European ministers using those Ryanair flights especially not Barroso and Co., Irish TD's probably did though as well as Irish MEP's.

Fairdealfrank
22nd Jul 2013, 17:39
Quote:"The EU discriminates against Ryanair and I think with loco's in general believe it or not, well at least that was the case in 2011.

Michael O'Leary gave a speech at the Innovation Convention in Brussels that year and was invited to the event with the EU offering to pay for his flight to/from Brussels Zaventem and with a driver awaiting his arrival - However MOL requested the driver pick him up at Charleroi on a flight from Dublin. He even offered to pay for it himself, they refused wanting him to fly to Zaventem. MOL arrived via taxi flying to Charleroi. Kind of sums up politics in general though?

Being honest I don't think there were a great deal of European ministers using those Ryanair flights especially not Barroso and Co., Irish TD's probably did though as well as Irish MEP's.

This classic EU bureaucratic thinking, and another tedious example of EU waste. MOL's probably going to get his ride to Charleroi (sorry, Brussels South) for free on a scheduled FR flight on staff travel, so why should he be forced to go to Zaventem at (yes, you guessed it) our expense.

Sober Lark
22nd Jul 2013, 20:26
When the Special Advisor to Minister of State for European affairs flew from Dublin to Krakow 17th May all I see on the Ministers foreign travel report is €20.54 out and the same back as a charge for priority boarding and seat allocation (€7 + €10 + 2% we pay) but no mention made of baggage charge or the fare paid etc.

LGS6753
23rd Jul 2013, 08:08
Sober -

Perhaps that's why the EU's financial returns have not passed audit for 16 years!:yuk:

barossavalley
23rd Jul 2013, 08:32
Only EU airlines who have obtained acceptances from 50.1% of Aer Lingus shareholders need apply
Ryanair Offers To Sell Aer Lingus Stake To Another EU Airline (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-offers-to-sell-aer-lingus-stake-to-another-eu-airline)

racedo
23rd Jul 2013, 11:52
Perhaps that's why the EU's financial returns have not passed audit for 16 years!

Er I believe person in question is Irish Government Minister and not EU.

The SSK
23rd Jul 2013, 12:21
The EU has a love/hate relationship with Ryanair. On the one hand they hate the consumer-rights issues and certain other aspects of the business model (crew T&Cs, aid from regional airports) and MOL’s constant badmouthing, usually when his takeover bids get blocked. But Ryanair is and always has been a poster child for EU airline liberalisation and many politicos in both the Parliament and the Commission have no issue with the disappearance of the legacy carriers, replaced by Ryanair and its clones on shorthaul, and Emirates and its clones on longhaul.

In any case, if you want/have to fly between Brussels and Dublin, the choice is between Ryanair and Aer Lingus, so no matter how generous your travel allowances, you’re not going to get frills – and Aer Lingus’ flight timings are dreadful for BRU-originating travel.

captplaystation
24th Jul 2013, 08:43
BBC News - Ryanair flight from Edinburgh struck by lightning (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23428206)

Somewhat unusual to divert after a strike on departure, some effect on electrics/pressurisation control ?

TopBunk
24th Jul 2013, 08:50
CPS

imho, just as likely to be that they would have needed post strike inspections at next landing. Maybe Ryanair don't have full facilities at Alicante? Maybe those checks could have resulted in the aircraft being AOG?

Diverting to one of their bases for that check to me seems a good decision. Minimum disruption to the airline and the passengers.

captplaystation
24th Jul 2013, 09:24
Probably right, in spite of it being a base I would imagine ALC has no RYR engineers following the "slimming down" of their engineering cover a few years back. I often wonder if flying Engs + spare parts around in a Lear Jet really is more cost effective, I guess it is.

captjns
24th Jul 2013, 09:30
Tough to pass judgement on the Captain's decision without all the facts as to what instruments and or equipment that may have been affected by the strike.

Leg
24th Jul 2013, 11:53
It was a departure alternate, that's why!

Gob... neat name... :rolleyes:

FRatSTN
24th Jul 2013, 15:42
Prestwick is a big maintenance base for Ryanair. They have a Ryanair hanger there.

CCFAIRPORT
25th Jul 2013, 08:49
NEW ROUTE

Paris BVA to Trieste

Ryanair : un Beauvais ? Trieste cet hiver | Air Journal (http://www.air-journal.fr/2013-07-24-ryanair-un-beauvais-trieste-cet-hiver-579408.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook)

RAT 5
25th Jul 2013, 09:17
imho, just as likely to be that they would have needed post strike inspections at next landing. Maybe Ryanair don't have full facilities at Alicante? Maybe those checks could have resulted in the aircraft being AOG?

Diverting to one of their bases for that check to me seems a good decision. Minimum disruption to the airline and the passengers.

Could be more than a check. Had one once and a repair was needed. Definitely a maintenance base issue: plus a large base is likely to have more a/c and SBY crews etc. to whisk the pax on their way.

sunday8pm
26th Jul 2013, 10:56
Anyone going to update on STN-SZG this winter. Still not on sale, starting to think its been dropped.

FRatSTN
26th Jul 2013, 11:56
To my knowledge, routes from Stansted to Ancona, Kaunas, Lourdes, Plovdiv, Salzburg and Tallinn are all still waiting to be put on sale.

All other routes not available through the winter from Stansted are not expected to operate.

Jamie2k9
26th Jul 2013, 12:29
They will be available by end of August at the latest.

davidjohnson6
26th Jul 2013, 12:30
May I ask why Ryanair tend to release seats for a given month quite a bit later than other LCCs ?
I'm assuming that some routes not being on sale beyond 4th November (i.e. barely more than 3 months away) is due to some specific reason, but FR still seem to regularly be the last major LCC to come to market by a sizeable margin.

I know that forward bookings beyond 3 months are low, but these are presumably non trivial and it's worth picking up those extra potential sales - or at least telling people about the planned schedules so that customers can make plans for a trip. And yes, I know that once a flight goes on sale it becomes much harder to do significant changes to the scheduling of the fleet in a flexible way, but slot conferences are far in advance of Ryanair seats going on sale.

I'm puzzled though as to why Ryanair need so much more time than Easyjet, Wizz, Norwegian, and all their other major competitors, and also why they don't seem concerned. Anyone knowledgeable able to suggest a reason as to Ryanair's rationale ?

j636
29th Jul 2013, 11:58
Ryanair Q1 profits fall 21% (as guided) to ?78m traffic rises? (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-q1-profits-fall-21-percent-as-guided-to-78m-euro-traffic-rises-3-percent-to-23-2m-as-fy-guidance-is-unchanged)

FR have also confirmed that discussions with the daa about growth at DUB have got nowhere and by the sounds of it they are only doing slightly better with MAG at STN.

Cyrano
29th Jul 2013, 12:13
May I ask why Ryanair tend to release seats for a given month quite a bit later than other LCCs ?
I'm assuming that some routes not being on sale beyond 4th November (i.e. barely more than 3 months away) is due to some specific reason, but FR still seem to regularly be the last major LCC to come to market by a sizeable margin.

I know that forward bookings beyond 3 months are low, but these are presumably non trivial and it's worth picking up those extra potential sales - or at least telling people about the planned schedules so that customers can make plans for a trip. And yes, I know that once a flight goes on sale it becomes much harder to do significant changes to the scheduling of the fleet in a flexible way, but slot conferences are far in advance of Ryanair seats going on sale.

I'm puzzled though as to why Ryanair need so much more time than Easyjet, Wizz, Norwegian, and all their other major competitors, and also why they don't seem concerned. Anyone knowledgeable able to suggest a reason as to Ryanair's rationale ?

Perhaps one possible reason is ongoing airport (re)negotiations, which as you know is a no-holds-barred activity in Ryanair's case. "If you want us to fly to your airport this winter, you need to pay another €x00,000 to Airport Marketing Services (http://airportmarketingservices.com/), otherwise we won't do it. See, we've loaded a lot of our winter schedule, but we haven't loaded your flights, and we won't unless you agree to pay."

ayroplain
29th Jul 2013, 13:17
FR have also confirmed that discussions with the daa about growth at DUB have got nowhere
My guess would be that the problem is that the DAA probably can't do a deal with FR because they'd be upsetting those wearing green!!

Hangar6
29th Jul 2013, 13:24
Fair point but given all airlines have deals on offer for new routes and current route capacity increases FR must have some scope for a deal , no matter what other carriers think, I am sure both sides playing a guarded hand
At moment.
EK want to increase , EI have increased and a lot more to come S14
And EIR too, add in Tk , even HOP !! Daa are growing again
Gives them a little comfort at the table , but FR can deliver volume
From places they haven't or don't currently serve...

Cyrano
29th Jul 2013, 14:09
And EIR too, add in Tk , even HOP !!

What's HOP! planning in Ireland then?

Jamie2k9
29th Jul 2013, 17:43
My guess would be that the problem is that the DAA probably can't do a deal with FR because they'd be upsetting those wearing green!!

Nothing to do with deals as they are open to all carriers and daa don't do special treatment for carriers. As it is the majority of carriers at DUB are on discounts apart from Ryanair who don't use them and cut traffic.

FR and the daa did come close to a deal but FR rejected it.

In 2014 around 15 aircraft will be leaving the fleet with no new ones coming so aircraft will go where they can get good deals and of course millions in marketing support.

A decision on the B737 Max is due by end of September.

TSR2
31st Jul 2013, 13:10
In various posts on the PPRuNe website, under a pseudonym "Ezy", I have made a number of claims about Ryanair.....

Strange that the post of apology by 'Ezy' above is listed as a first post.

Aerlingus231
31st Jul 2013, 13:11
I'm guessing he was forced to delete all his other posts.

rampman
31st Jul 2013, 13:33
From todays Mail

Ryanair chief vows to price out passengers with hold baggage (and now he's raising fees by £20 per bag just in time for summer)

Ryanair chief vows to price out passengers with hold baggage (and now he's raising fees by £20 per bag just in time for summer) | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381891/Ryanair-chief-vows-price-passengers-hold-baggage-hes-raising-fees-20-bag-just-time-summer.html)

Sober Lark
31st Jul 2013, 14:02
Ezy, for that you must say three Hail Mary's. (Father Ted).

Baggage fees don't bother me but what does is how much Ryanair appear to be spending on legal fees these days.

davidjohnson6
31st Jul 2013, 15:04
All non domestic routes from Santiago de Compostela look like they are being dropped later this year - searching around the web suggests this is because the local Govt is no longer prepared to pay the marketing fees that Ryanair favours.

Is it just a simple "Govt cannot afford it" issue, or is there something deeper ?

artyh
31st Jul 2013, 20:14
Does anyone know when Ryanair Winter Schedules for 2013-14 will be completely finalised. I notice that many routes have been uploaded, but one that I am interested in Stansted-Ancona is showing no flights after 5 November - is it too early to conclude this route isn't running over the winter?

racedo
31st Jul 2013, 20:48
Baggage fees don't bother me but what does is how much Ryanair appear to be spending on legal fees these days.

Probably same as they always did just a bit more focused.

Not going to court although one or two on here claimed they wanted to.

Tony the tiger
31st Jul 2013, 23:58
Hope this is the right place to ask but can anyone tell me how easy it is to get from Paris Beauvais to Disneyland Paris? Do you need to go into the city first or can you go easily enough from Beauvais?
Also how much time should one allow to get from the centre of Paris to beauvais for a flight check in, and whats the best way to get there?

El Bunto
1st Aug 2013, 07:05
Quoth Sober Lark:
Baggage fees don't bother meEven though it is more expensive for a 15 kg bag to travel in the hold than a 90 kg person to travel in the cabin?

One genuine queston I do have for people who manage to travel without hold luggage: what do you do about razaors, sun cream and other cabin-banned items? Do you just go without them for the duration of your holiday? :confused:

Edit: not that I will fly with Ryanair but this has puzzled me for years.

farci
1st Aug 2013, 11:01
One genuine queston I do have for people who manage to travel without hold luggage: what do you do about razaors, sun cream and other cabin-banned items? Do you just go without them for the duration of your holiday?

Astonishingly enough they sell all of these items in shops at Ryanair destinations :O

Transportraition
1st Aug 2013, 11:41
There are no restrictions for razors (Bic or Gillette plastic 'safety' type) and the same for sun cream - that must be in a sealed plastic bag along with toothpaste / liquids etc.

Stevek
1st Aug 2013, 12:02
I'd love to know what countries you visit. Do they not have shops/supermarkets?

Transportraition
1st Aug 2013, 12:41
Stevek - I think we may find that El Bunto has never flown before. In fact he may never have been outside his own country / province !

roulishollandais
2nd Aug 2013, 00:41
Some statisticians computed that : which is the probability to be killed in these situations where we say "it is a wonder that I am still alive" : only 1/30.
So when 30 crews had blocked pitots and only one crashed, the 30 others could be logicaly being crashes but it just was not the day ... In consequence it does not mean the SOP were safe.:\

Rhodamine is the red colorant in the lipstick. It is a powerful explosive. Are women with make up and red lips to be classified as suiciding terrorists ?:p

Tony the tiger
2nd Aug 2013, 05:00
€60/£60 for a checked bag ?
I was looking to book a couple of days away but when it came to paying this for a bag I had to consider if the clothes Id be putting in the bag were even worth sixty quid.
Its almost come to the point where its worth considering travelling out in one set of clothes, then buying something cheap to wear when you get there, then throwing them away and travelling back in the original clothes you travelled out in.
We'll all have to learn to travel with just a toothbrush in our pockets and buy everything else when we get there.

LAX_LHR
2nd Aug 2013, 05:23
What is with all of these 'apology' posts all of a sudden?

Almost exactly the same format/words but different posters? Seems very odd.

TSR2
2nd Aug 2013, 09:47
We'll all have to learn to travel with just a toothbrush in our pockets and buy everything else when we get there.

False economy ? Probably cheaper to fly with another airline if you need to take a bag.

Bengt
2nd Aug 2013, 11:19

False economy ? Probably cheaper to fly with another airline if you need to take a bag.
Given that Ryanair has increased the sector of flights for sunny holidays (Canary Islands, Greece, Mainland Spain etc) targeting people who go away for weeks as opposed of weekends I think they will shoot themselves in the foot when charging £70 for a bag in hold for a return flight in the summer.
A family going away for two weeks will not travel with hand luggage only.
And £70 will make the Ryanair ticket more expensive than the competitors. This summer was the first summer for a long time that I flew Vueling instead of FR....

FRatSTN
2nd Aug 2013, 11:41
Bit of a strange one if you ask me...

London-Gatwick (LGW) to Cagliari (CAG), 3x weekly from Nov 6.

Probably because EZY already fly this route from STN?

Nakata77
2nd Aug 2013, 12:12
But FRs strategy is different. They wan to reduce checked in bags to zero to sav weight and fuel (unless its a PR excuse for price rises!). But it does make sense on their short haul short stay routes

Ramper1
2nd Aug 2013, 13:08
Whats with all these apology letters all of a sudden?

It's cause Ryanair are sueing everyone personally who slags them of for 'false' accusations on here! They're covering their asses!

McBruce
2nd Aug 2013, 15:46
Its RYRs medieval tactics. Someone says something bad about RYR - their legal team get buzzing and similar to the deterrent of hanging a prisoner in public, they simply want individuals to post here so we can all sign and dance the RYR song like happy little campers.

No smoke from this fire.

Warrington-lad
2nd Aug 2013, 16:52
http://http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/418926/We-ll-price-out-your-suitcases-warn-Ryanair

I could be wrong so correct me if I am, I didn't think Ryanair carried cargo ie mail. So if they're working to rid all hold bags by increasing the price to take hold luggage, surely then the hold (or at least most of it) will be space wasted.

I know they're getting rid of hold luggage to save money on turn around times and baggage handling fees as said in the article, but there must be some other money making idea Ryanair can bring in to make use of the hold when there is no luggage in it.

LTU_traveller
2nd Aug 2013, 17:05
Bit of a strange one if you ask me...

London-Gatwick (LGW) to Cagliari (CAG), 3x weekly from Nov 6.

Probably because EZY already fly this route from STN?

Agreement between FR and CAG? KUN-CAG is on sale for w2013 as well - never seen winter sunshine routes being operated from here.

j636
2nd Aug 2013, 17:25
Well I didn't expect Michael O'Leary to be boarding my flight back to London this afternoon from Dublin. Not to many airline CEO's would be doing it. He takes a very hands on approach. :ok:

boyzinblue
2nd Aug 2013, 19:53
If FR don't want any baggage in the hold, then maybe they can put some passengers down there. 189 passagers up above with a view (5 € charge) and a few cheap seats without a view in the hold.

mikkie4
2nd Aug 2013, 21:33
Dont give MOL ideas,he might just take you up on that idea.....if he thought he could get away with it, who knows

wiggy
2nd Aug 2013, 21:40
Well I didn't expect Michael O'Leary to be boarding my flight back to London this afternoon from Dublin. Not to many airline CEO's would be doing it.

I'm assuming you were on a FR flight in which case I beg to differ. I think ;) you'll find most airline CEO's, Chairmen and Board members make a habit of whenever possible flying on their airline but it's rarely anything to do with being "hands on" or a "jolly good chap/chapess". The PR consequences of being seen/photographed travelling on a rival airline can be a tad awkward (especially in MOL's case - can you imagine what the press would do with pictures of him checking in at LHR T5?) and in any event why put money into the coffers of a competitor?

racedo
2nd Aug 2013, 23:02
Whats with all these apology letters all of a sudden?

It's cause Ryanair are sueing everyone personally who slags them of for 'false' accusations on here! They're covering their asses!

A bit more than that.

A number of posters were quite happy to make unsubstantiated claims without it appears proof and claim stuff which didn't exist.

A poster on here quite happily claimed that he did things against Ryanairs SOPs while an employee and boasted about it because he hated them.
Frankly if that person actually is real, people should welcome their outing, if they willfully ignored their employers SOPS, they put people lives in danger in acting unprofessionally because they appear to have a grudge.

In doing so under the cloak of anonymity they believed they would never be called on it and could just disappear before asked to prove what they say.

An organisation, any organisation has a right to its good name and also a right to defend itself.

VanBosh
3rd Aug 2013, 11:45
WIGGY

when he says MOL was boarding his flight I assume he means that he was taking the boarding cards etc.

aer lingus
3rd Aug 2013, 15:48
He has flow to the USA with EI when he was going to see Boeing just after 9/11, premier class of course.:eek:

Heathrow Harry
4th Aug 2013, 08:01
well he does own a large part of the airline...................

Cian
4th Aug 2013, 13:53
I know they're getting rid of hold luggage to save money on turn around times and baggage handling fees as said in the article, but there must be some other money making idea Ryanair can bring in to make use of the hold when there is no luggage in it.

Cargo adversely impacts on turnaround times, and when your business model is built on tight turnarounds and high utilisation, you don't go looking for things to risk it.

RAT 5
4th Aug 2013, 14:05
well he does own a large part of the airline...................

Unless he owns shares personally it is more likely it is the shareholders of RYR who own a slice of EI.

Hangar6
4th Aug 2013, 14:37
Often felt FR could have a lower deck for SLF under a certain size and weight , or even lieing down:O

onyxcrowle
4th Aug 2013, 21:17
A long while back I read that Ryr had approached Stornoway SYY to make a few improvements to the airfield .
It already has a very long run way. In return they promised to bring much needed direct services to london and the Med.
Whats the chance of this being looked at again.
Ryr seem to like out of the way markets.
I bet islanders would jump at the offer of low fairs to the med. London and probably prestwick or edinburgh.
Id bet it would be a money spinner.
Have local island flights operate feeders into syy.
Oban for Example that could have a feeder to Syy.
They could have littlr competition up there.
And im surprised they didnt take a look at Sumburgh. Offer Direct flights to the Netherlands. Flights to london and Manchester and of Course the central belt.
Lots of oil money up there but no direct service

Richard Taylor
5th Aug 2013, 06:46
Onyx,

Stop smoking those mushrooms!

They don't even fly from the oil hub ABZ, never mind looking at LSI, SYY or anywhere else in N.Scotland.

onyxcrowle
5th Aug 2013, 09:51
Onyx,

Stop smoking those mushrooms!

They don't even fly from the oil hub ABZ, never mind looking at LSI, SYY or anywhere else in N.Scotland.

Actually I hadnt. I was reading some old news item about Stornoway had been having discussions with Ryanair about services to the med and I think Stanstead.
Got me thinking that althouh not huge it must make a normal trip to the costas or anywhere beyond Glasgow very expensive.
Ditto The Northern Isles. Surely there must be a market for low cost carriers to find a way to go to these places.
There is after all a reasobable population up there.
So it wasnt imho a daft question.

Fairdealfrank
5th Aug 2013, 18:32
Aren't routes to/from the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetlands operated under a "public service obligation" arrangement precisely because they are vital services but commercially loss-making without the support from the government?

racedo
5th Aug 2013, 18:37
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/internal_market/doc/pso_-_eu_and_eea_-_feb_2013.pdf

List of EU and Other PSO routes.

RAT 5
5th Aug 2013, 20:26
Why do RYR not serve Channel Islands?

akerosid
5th Aug 2013, 20:31
Short answer: GCI is out - runway too short; JER's runway is a little shorter than desired, but FR did look into JER a few years back, but JER authorities would not bend over as far FR wanted them to and in the end, no deal. I think JER recognised that FR would probably chase away all of the other carriers.

By the way, a little heads up: Channel 4's Dispatches will be broadcasting a programme next Monday on FR's fuel policies ... ad included some excerpts of interviews purporting to be with pilots ... cue injunction threats by FR's lawyers (all no doubt adding to publicity) - should be interesting to watch, even before the programme ...

onyxcrowle
5th Aug 2013, 22:16
Ryr did indeed push to start services from Stornoway.
I think
Stanstead
Alicante
Malaga
Pama
And I think a couple of other random destinations.
Seemingly landing fees were 9.00 per passenger.
Contry to the sly comments there is clearly scope there for something like this.
It would be ideal for tourism as well.
Perhaps easyjet would be a better fit. They could run servives to manchester with all its onward connections. Or hell flybe could do this.
The whole west coast and irelands northern and western are hard to reach.
The cost of a Soanish holiday for an islander would currenly be astronomical adding in the internal flight to.abz or edi and gla.
Seems strange that there vare no charters to the rest of the uk and Eu from these places

canberra97
5th Aug 2013, 22:45
I take it you meant Stansted and Palma! and NOT Stanstead and Pama?

davidjohnson6
6th Aug 2013, 05:38
Onyx - please try to focus your thoughts on the population size of the Outer Hebrides - Stornoway has 9,000 people and the island group as a whole has a population of 26,000 - the island group has a population of no more than a small UK town. It already has direct flights to Edinburgh and Glasgow with all the associated onward connections.

Non stop flights from the Scottish islands to the Mediterranean really are very small markets.

A weekly flight on a 737-800 needs at least 150 people each week or over 5,000 people travelling each way over a summer season on each specific route to have a hope in hell of profitability - Stornoway cannot possibly provide that level of traffic given its population.

SSK - I don't know much about Molde but Harstad-Narvik airport seems to be the primary airport in a region with a local catchment of over 100,000 people, over 4 times that of Stornoway airport

The SSK
6th Aug 2013, 08:51
Norwegian manage to operate southern sun destinations from a whole range of pretty small places up the coastline e.g. Molde with a population of 26,000, Narvik/Harstad with a combined population about the same.

racedo
6th Aug 2013, 19:05
Ryanair July Traffic Grows 120,000 (+1%) (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-july-traffic-grows-120000-1-percent)

Passenger numbers for July grew by 1% or 120,000

Easyjet passenger numbers grew by 2% or 116,000

Total combined increase of 236,000 passengers

Good returns in any month BUT in 2012

Ryanair grew by 645,000 passengers and Easyjet by 433,000

Total combined increase of 1,078,000

Of course you cannot expect to continue add on passenger numbers like before BUT kind of surprised that SLF growth for both combined has dropped so considerably or are both holding back on pax growth in favour of profitability or is recession showing itself on growth.

j636
6th Aug 2013, 19:33
Difference is how many extra aircraft did FR last month compared to 2012. EZY wouldn't of added anything to their fleet and if i'm right about EZY fleet not changing then EZY had a much stronger month than FR.

racedo
6th Aug 2013, 20:22
Difference is how many extra aircraft did FR last month compared to 2012. EZY wouldn't of added anything to their fleet and if i'm right about EZY fleet not changing then EZY had a much stronger month than FR.

Good point

FR 294 to 303 + 3% / 941 PAX per aircraft per day
U2 209 to 211 + 1% / 913 PAX per aircraft per day

Point wasn't about the fleet size but the growth or reduced growth in pax numbers by both which seems to have plateaued.

Fleet size / length of route etc also impact but is this the reason for low growth or is it recession.

Think its probably fleet size.

Arfur Dent
7th Aug 2013, 02:25
UK TV Channel 4 Monday August 12th 1930. 'Secrets from the Cockpit'.
Concerns about passenger safety. May be interesting.

Hangar6
7th Aug 2013, 10:49
I will watch it with the expectation of a slick high paced edited version of poorly researched and badly reported overly sensationalist partially completed facts
And heavy on inuendo. Program's like this just fail to resist the tempt ion to be
Sensational and exclusive rather than factual , maybe I am wrong but every airline suffers when these program's are aired ....

rpmac
7th Aug 2013, 11:18
I certainly will not watch it for the reasons Hanger6 mentions.

Lord Spandex Masher
7th Aug 2013, 20:15
If you're interested.

Serving Ryanair pilots reveal their worries over Ryanair's fuel policy and pilot working conditions

Dispatches - Channel 4 (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/)

ayroplain
7th Aug 2013, 21:20
I think this may be at least the second attempt by that British Tabloid Channel (the TV equivalent of the DM) to discredit Ryanair. If it's anything like the last one it'll be rubbish. If the pilots are actually "serving Ryanair Pilots" makes you wonder why they are still "serving" if they think things are not right. You'd imagine they'd have moved on to save their own skins if their lives and those of their passengers are in danger.

737 Jockey
9th Aug 2013, 08:12
First of all I challenge Pprune to respect my rights to freedom of speech above their own profits!

Ryanair have once again used bullying tactics to get their own way. Both Facebook and Tw*tt*r pages for the democratically elected 'Ryanair Pilot Group' have been removed by aforementioned companies, with no reason given. This is an outrageous infringement on freedom of speech.

Guys/girls, please show your solidarity with RPG. Your future also depends on it.

:ok:

custardpsc
9th Aug 2013, 08:38
Wonder what they have to hide?

captplaystation
9th Aug 2013, 08:51
737 Jockey,

Think you mean T*witt*r & Facebook.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, if pprune close this thread it will merely serve to confirm that they are a bunch of profiteers, rather than a pilots website.

No reason to close the thread, we are merely stating facts, and indeed facts that Ryanair have brought about themselves.

This latest stunt smacks of desperation, and I hope the "troops" see it as a legs-up that they have em runnin scared. :D

Edited to say, if I type Tw***er it becomes pprune. . . . more pprune censorship, lets see , if I type it again without the stars what appears, here goes twitter (strange that, I typed t-----r )

captplaystation
9th Aug 2013, 09:42
For pprune in your post above read "Tw*tt*r", except you can't type Tw-tt-r on pprune. . . . or it comes out as pprune.

Strange censorship/competition rules here.

All other points agreed with, the bar-stewards are runnin scared :D if they have to resort to these Stalinesque tactics.

737 Jockey
9th Aug 2013, 10:05
Thanks Captain! Editing complete... However ridiculous! :ugh:

Maybe DD should have the same editing software when typing out new BRK contracts... Type in 'Penalty' .... The word 'Deterrent' appears :}

You couldn't make this stuff up, it's unbelievable!

:ok:

PPRuNeUser0178
9th Aug 2013, 10:08
Twitter - my turn

PPRuNeUser0178
9th Aug 2013, 10:09
???????????

sitigeltfel
9th Aug 2013, 10:50
This should be interesting.........

Channel 4 Dispatches: Ryanair, Secrets from the cockpit, Monday evening (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-136/episode-1)

.....if only for the lawsuits that may follow.

737 Jockey
9th Aug 2013, 11:28
This thread already removed from Rumours & News.... Just a matter of time I guess... Shame :ugh:

737 Jockey
9th Aug 2013, 12:13
I posted factually correct information for the benefit of the Pilot community and Pprune have deleted both threads, as I'm sure they will delete this. :ugh:

Ryanair have forced Facebook and Tw*tter to suspend Ryanair Pilot Group home pages. Subsequently, the Tw*tter page has been temporarily reinstated :ok:
They also appear to have some influence over Pprune too... Very, very sad :{

Maybe I should threaten to take Pprune to court for breaching my freedom of speech? Who am I offending by telling facts?

captplaystation
9th Aug 2013, 12:17
Maybe we should all individually start a (factual but critical) RYR thread a day, until pprune actually realise that a forum called (I REMIND YOU DEAR PPRUNE OWNERS ! !) profesional pilots rumour network, is duty bound to inform the masses what is happening in Ryanair, and will happen to them in due course, if they don't wake up & show support for these guys.

What is the agenda here, too much lost revenue from Ryanair ads/ too much hassle to pass users emails on if they post libellous comments / or just good ol American " no balls. . Oh God they might sue us" wimpishness.

As I have said, and will say again, what happens to Ryanair pilots affects us all sooner or later, stifling/moving valid discussion & reporting to less utilised forums, is even more pathetic than stifling criticism of E tea Had.

Dear pprune. . GROW A PAIR ! ! :=

Jet Fuel Addict
9th Aug 2013, 12:25
Shame on you PPRUNE, grow a pair.

For the sake of freedom of speech and to safeguard the identities of those willing to share valuable information to fellow colleagues, I suggest you do some serious research and seek legal advice from professionals before you decide to cave in to the demands of bullying airline management.

One fellow colleague has already been burnt by you. That's one too many if you ask me.

captplaystation
9th Aug 2013, 12:47
PATHETIC, JUST :mad: pathetic ! ! ! Keep reaping the revenue from the ads, keep caving in to the Stalinesque mentality of the Irish Bully Boys, pprune you have zero credibility & zero respect from those of us actually employed as professional pilots.

Keep running your goddam business & stuff your customers pprune. . .now where have I seen that company culture before :rolleyes:

davidjohnson6
9th Aug 2013, 12:48
capt - there has been much debate, even from US Supreme Court judges about how a well-funded threat to sue can intimidate websites run by those less wealthy. There is also an awareness that not much is done by legislators in many countries to resolve this.

If you were running a website and had been advised that some smart-ass lawyer might construct a case to show that you had *personal* liability for not acting earlier to remove content that was claimed to be defamatory, would you *really* risk everything, including the family home ? What would you say to your kids if you lost the case and faced bankruptcy ?

Yes, there is an issue of freedom of speech here, but it needs a legislative or judicial body (i.e. national parliament or senior court) to give an opinion on the issue. Until then, well-funded corporates will be able to call the shots over smaller less well-funded websites.

captplaystation
9th Aug 2013, 12:55
I agree wholeheartedly, but. . and it is an important but . . . 2 , sorry make that 3 , threads have been shunted off the "headline" forum, that were factually reporting Ryanairs recent action in (temporarily ) disabling the RPG's Twitter & Facebook account.

Nothing defamatory there, and I (and I am sure the other posters) would be happy to stand by the contents of our posting.

Bullying (accusation or truth ?) given the recent judgements handed down in Court during Ryanair vs the employees cases, I don't have much to fear using that term.

RAT 5
9th Aug 2013, 15:44
WiKi-Leaks anyone?

Aldente
10th Aug 2013, 07:59
davidjohnson6,

Maybe, but PPRuNe are removing what are clearly NON defamatory posts on this subject - this is what's upsetting people. I don't think anyone will be stupid enough to fall foul of the libel laws especially after the long running "Subpoena in US courts thread" and with the Irish High Court listings showing Ryanair taking action against five individuals.

In the good old days something like this would have prompted a comment from Danny (a PILOT), but as others have said this is a web site run by men in suits now.

Anyone from PPRuNe prepared to man up and make an official comment?

Or wil this posting be deleted like the others?

PS
Are you going to let people have a free debate and open discussion of issues inevitably rising from the Channel 4 Dispatches programme on Monday night?

The last one (in 2006) ran to 19 pages (and in the "Rumours and News" section too!) without being shutdown or buried somewhere, but as I say that was in the good old days. AND, it's still on PPRuNe - here:-

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/211164-ryanair-channel-4-dispatches-programme.html

MAN777
10th Aug 2013, 08:48
If pprune has lost its credibility then why doesn't someone start a new independent pilots forum, its really quite easy. Rather than continually slating pprune just move on. (Until the new one becomes big and has its wings clipped)

I for one still like and use pprune, I can live with a bit of censorship its quite normal for large corporations to have influence on all forms of media, anyone who believes otherwise is in airy fairy land.

crewmeal
10th Aug 2013, 09:05
Looks like the Daily Mail have 'unearthed' another scam.

Keep passengers' change, Ryanair tells cabin crews in latest bid to exploit customers | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388512/Keep-passengers-change-Ryanair-tells-cabin-crews-latest-bid-exploit-customers.html)

In my day when we took for sales we always gave change regardless of currency. Have things changed that much?

737 Jockey
10th Aug 2013, 13:01
That's the Ryanair breaches (in my humble, personal opinion, nothing to do with Pprune's opinion or any affiliated website thereof) freedom of speech thread.

Thank you please!

:mad:

captplaystation
10th Aug 2013, 13:09
"Integrated" (read hidden) in the outer reaches of Ryanair9 on the Airlines Airports & Routes section - beloved amongst spotters etc (well, we have to visit now too)

We still have a moderately derisory thread going in Jet Blast . . .but anything related to Ryanair is being cut/deleted shunted off the principal R&N / Terms & Endearment threads faster than a lasses drawers dropping on a Friday night in Liverpool.

Bealzebub
10th Aug 2013, 13:15
I think it is in the Ryanair (imagine that) thread on Airlines, Airports and Routes? Did you run a quick search back through your own threads or are they really out to get you?

superq7
10th Aug 2013, 13:24
This is getting like big brother.

Aldente
10th Aug 2013, 18:44
So when's the live eviction?

captplaystation
10th Aug 2013, 20:26
Ha bloody Ha ! think he meant "Big Brother" before "Big Brother" if you get my Saturday evening meaning. . . . . .

Aldente
11th Aug 2013, 07:37
I got the Orwellian reference but was just being obtuse :)

Then again RYR does have CCTV in all it's crew rooms so either interpretation would be appropriate in my opinion......

j636
11th Aug 2013, 15:28
WIGGY

when he says MOL was boarding his flight I assume he means that he was taking the boarding cards etc.

yeah that's what I mean, he then headed off to the Algarve on Hoildays!

Laasjet
11th Aug 2013, 20:14
Just can't resist asking whether the great man took much baggage?

alm1
11th Aug 2013, 21:06
On my last Ryanair flight on Wednesday all purchaces on board were using credit card only. So it was really not possibe to withhold change.

wowzz
11th Aug 2013, 21:08
Interesting to know what exchange rate was being used - somehow I suspect that MOL will be the winner!

frfly
12th Aug 2013, 06:22
Don't get me started on exchange rates onboard aircraft. Ryanair are one of few EU airlines that accept small EUR and GBP. Most I have flown go to minimum 50c etc. Flying Thomson Airways last summer I was disgusted when my £4 order came to something like €7 - outrageous.

Ryanair's onboard exchange rate appears to be between 0.85-0.90 for gbp, seems pretty close and it is variable changing every few months in line with the market, last week I bought a bounty and it was 90p or €1.

Crew are encouraged to be fair onboard. Receipts issued to all pax in order to show passengers a breakdown of their order.

This whole issue of trying to squeeze revenue out of change is not unique to ryanair. Every time I walk into WHSmith or Superdrug I am hassled for chocolate bars, stamps and top ups when I pay for a paper. Don't think it makes ryanair a terrible company for asking crew to drive sales by suggesting products that match the change - it's just smart business. Every service provider does it, from bars to restaurants and now airlines.

Nakata77
12th Aug 2013, 09:39
Ryanair announced the continuation of Winter season flights but is this W-pattern flying? If so then the base is still closing for the Winter? Can someone confirm? Basically will a B737 be based at the airport in the winter or not?

FRatSTN
12th Aug 2013, 10:29
No. It will operate as a destination airport.

Heli-News
12th Aug 2013, 10:37
Ryanair pilots 'bullied into silence over safety': Two-thirds say they are not comfortable raising fears with their bosses

* 90% say airline doesn't have 'open and transparent safety culture'
* Three-quarters of Ryanair pilots said to be on zero-hours contracts
* Must pay for all their expenses, including uniforms and transport
* Pilots claim contracts make them more likely to fly even when unwell

Pilots for budget airline Ryanair have expressed serious concerns about passenger safety – and claim that these are suppressed by bosses.
In an internal survey of 1,000 pilots, two-thirds said they did not feel comfortable raising safety issues through the airline’s internal system, while nine out of ten said it did not have an ‘open and transparent safety culture’.

It comes just months after three Ryanair planes were forced to make emergency landings in Spain on the same day, when they allegedly started to run out of fuel.

Full report (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389557/Ryanair-pilots-bullied-silence-safety-Two-thirds-say-comfortable-raising-fears-bosses.html)

MaximumPete
12th Aug 2013, 10:53
It will be interesting to see what the Desptches on Channel 4 8pm BST tonight brings out

Agaricus bisporus
12th Aug 2013, 10:57
Furious denials from the Dear Leader I expect.

Yellow & Blue Baron
12th Aug 2013, 10:58
My question is this: Is is an absolute necessity in the cut-rate airline industry to treat passengers and staff like dirt?

Sober Lark
12th Aug 2013, 11:06
First error - If these moaners want to join a union so much then why do they choose to join non unionised Ryanair? Second error - having supposedly made the first error why would they continue to compound their misery by staying? Just looking at it from Joe Soap the passengers point of view you'll understand where it really looks like a few disgruntled goats being chased around a hillside by a media frenzy. Comical to say the least.

Yellow & Blue Baron
12th Aug 2013, 11:09
Sober Lark (and make note of where he's from) doesn't seem to understand that jobs are not just lying all over the place for people to pick up whenever they want.

There should be minimum standards of staff and passenger care, end of story!

Andrew Bowyer
12th Aug 2013, 11:20
As well as the Dispatches programme I am equally looking forward to Racedo's comments. Where is he/she by the way - on holiday perhaps :cool:.

fenland787
12th Aug 2013, 11:26
Not saying it's wrong, but if the only source of the latest aviation shock horror is our old friend and expert on all aviation matters, the understated Daily Wail, I'll just reach for the salt and get me a big pinch......for now at least!

Heli-News
12th Aug 2013, 11:28
Ryanair: Channel 4 Dispatches

8pm Channel 4 12th August 2013 (in UK)

The programme interviews pilots employed by the budget airline and reveals concerns over its fuel policy and working conditions. Also includes an investigation into the events of July 26 last year when three diverted Ryanair planes made emergency landings in Valencia, Spain, having almost run out of fuel.

Heli-News
12th Aug 2013, 11:34
Originally posted by fenland787
I'll just reach for the salt and get me a big pinch......for now at least!

What people sometimes forget is that if a newspaper makes false accusations they can be prosecuted. So are you saying that Ryanair are going to take legal action against this publication?

McBruce
12th Aug 2013, 11:59
Support Ryanair pilots. Well done RPG for taking this fight and helping prevent further decay to our profession. No doubt my post will disappear which is sad state of affairs.

The sooner RPG get in the better.

Yellow & Blue Baron
12th Aug 2013, 12:05
McBruce - who/what is RPG please?

fenland787
12th Aug 2013, 12:07
So are you saying that Ryanair are going to take legal action against this publication? No, I'm saying the DM is not exactly renowned for it's calm, objective, insightful and accurate reporting of facts. So I'm reserving judgment!

I don't doubt there are issues within Ryanair and, indeed, other airlines, quite likely some that need addressing - just like most large organiations. I just get tired of the hysterical screaming headlines of the type the DM excel at, and given some of them lately have been on a subject where I do happen to have in depth inside knowledge and can therefore judge how inaccurate and sensational they are, why would I not assume that is true of all their Shock Horror headlines and reporting...and so, I just reach for the salt, and await the facts.

peakcrew
12th Aug 2013, 12:08
Yellow and Blue Baron said:

My question is this: Is is an absolute necessity in the cut-rate airline industry to treat passengers and staff like dirt?

This is a great question, and one that deserves an answer. O'Leary seems to regard everyone else as the enemy, and that attitude means that I do not fly with RyanAir. The sooner someone finds some way to put this socipath behind bars, the better.

TeaTowel
12th Aug 2013, 12:22
Well done RPG for taking this fight and helping prevent further decay to our profession.

The RPG is made up of Ryanair pilots who accepted and contributed to this decay.

Would MOL actually be bothered running FR any more if he couldn't find guys to pay for their jobs and work for peanuts? Would FR be as big as it is?

If FR pilots answer yes, they admit that the airline would have proper wages and would treat pilots with respect if the pilots just held out and didn't bend over to management so quickly.

If FR pilots answer no, they admit that P2F at FR is just propping up a flight training bubble and is effectively an enabler to the guys with shiny jet syndrome. Like the ***** who supply drinks to an alcoholic.

I notice they argue conditions are not safe and when challenged, argue that it's the safest airline in the world.

golfyankeesierra
12th Aug 2013, 12:26
McBruce - who/what is RPG please?

Google is your friend:
https://www.facebook.com/ryanairpilotgroup2013 (https://www.facebook.com/ryanairpilotgroup2013)

Heli-News
12th Aug 2013, 12:35
I don't doubt there are issues within Ryanair and, indeed, other airlines, quite likely some that need addressing - just like most large organiations.

You make it sound as if Ryanair have issues which are no different to any airline and which itself comes across as misleading.

I just get tired of the hysterical screaming headlines of the type the DM excel at

I am not so interested in the UK newspaper practices, only if what they are reporting is true. Do you expect the Channel 4 program tonight also to be "hysterical and screaming" as you put it and what in the linked Daily Mail report was in fact was "hysterical and screaming" if you don't mind indicating for the benefit of others because as you say - this is "a subject where I do happen to have in depth inside knowledge and can therefore judge how inaccurate and sensational they are".

Sober Lark
12th Aug 2013, 15:08
Can the public see the actual RYR Pilot Group's survey that is quoted in the national media to examine the validity of the conclusions for ourselves?

ayroplain
12th Aug 2013, 16:01
Well done RPG for taking this fight and helping prevent further decay to our profession. No doubt my post will disappear which is sad state of affairs. The sooner RPG get in the better.
Did a straw poll today with some of the real RPG (Ryanair Passengers Group) and the verdict is: To the other RPG, blubber off and keep your interfering noses out of our airline - the people's airline. :D (now, is that apostrophe in the right place?)

Aerlingus231
12th Aug 2013, 17:03
You want the pilots to blubber off from the airline? Exactly how will that help the passengers? Are you asking for them to strike?

Sober Lark
12th Aug 2013, 19:10
Aer, if they had a water tight case that would stand up to the scrutiny of even a few of the 80m passengers that fly with Ryanair then Van Zwol would have published the survey. 'Make the world more open' my foot.

RAT 5
12th Aug 2013, 19:54
Did a straw poll today with some of the real RPG (Ryanair Passengers Group) and the verdict is: To the other RPG, blubber off and keep your interfering noses out of our airline - the people's airline. (now, is that apostrophe in the right place?

I wonder if these same applauders of cheap everything also do not buy 'fair trade' coffee, jeans, trainers etc. If they do buy such articles they might consider more carefully any product closer to home equally deserving. Theer are many.

SWBKCB
12th Aug 2013, 19:55
Interesting piece from Flight Global, particularly the bit about them trialling Lufthansa's Lido operations management and planning system - wasn't aware of that.

Spotlight shines on Ryanair operations (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/spotlight-shines-on-ryanair-operations-389366/)

StainesFS
12th Aug 2013, 20:27
RAT 5

the people's airline. (now, is that apostrophe in the right place?No.
:)
SFS

ayroplain
12th Aug 2013, 20:43
So, according to the Dispatches programme, a KLM pilot is the Chairman of the Ryanair Pilot Group. I think that tells you all you need to know about this Group :).

Aerlingus231
12th Aug 2013, 20:48
That Ryanair pilots are afraid to Chair it for fear of reprecussions and that instead they have to get a pilot from another airline in to do it for them? :confused:

All members of the RPG are verified Ryanair pilots just in case you didn't know.

daz211
12th Aug 2013, 20:53
If the flight deck and cabin crew get on the aircraft and fly then I'm more than happy to get on as a passenger...

Yet again another crap program reporting how bad Ryanair are but all the way through the program reporting how they haven't broken any rules on safety.

EI-A330-300
12th Aug 2013, 21:58
Ryanair Releases Channel 4 Dispatches Letters (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-releases-channel-4-dispatches-letters)

Ryanair Releases Channel 4 Dispatches Letters

Ryanair, today (12 Aug) responded to the false claims made in the C4 Dispatches programme by issuing the following statement and publishing the full exchange of letters with C4 Dispatches as follows:

Ryanair rejected the false and defamatory claims made by the Channel 4 Dispatches programme which wrongly impugn and smear Ryanair’s outstanding 29 year safety record based on nothing more than anonymous hearsay claims made by individuals whose identity was concealed, and/or by representatives of pilot unions of Ryanair’s competitor airlines masquerading as a Non Ryanair Pilot Group.

Ryanair has today released on its website the entire exchange of correspondence with Channel 4 Dispatches which highlights the following facts:

1. The evidence provided by Ryanair and the Irish Aviation Authority conclusively disproves these false claims about Ryanair’s fuel policy and/or Ryanair’s outstanding safety record.

2. The programme relies upon hearsay claims by anonymous alleged Ryanair pilots, despite the fact that Ryanair offered legally binding guarantees to these individuals of no sanction if they made these claims on the record, solely so that Ryanair could publish details of their individual flight records, fuel records, sickness records and safety reports which would disprove their false claims. Despite these assurances, C4 Dispatches insisted on maintaining their anonymity because, Ryanair believes, these individuals know that their claims are false and unsupported by evidence.

3. Despite the evidence provided by Ryanair and the IAA disproving these fuel and safety claims, Dispatches have failed to address or report this evidence, preferring instead to publish these false claims in an unfair, unbalanced and inaccurate programme.

4. Channel 4 Dispatches have repeatedly refused Ryanair’s offer of an unedited interview with CEO Michael O’Leary, in which he offered to address any claims raised by Dispatches and rubbish the false claims made by these anonymous contributors. Dispatches would only interview Michael O’Leary if they could edit his answers, which was not fair or acceptable to Ryanair.

5. Ryanair provided Dispatches with a short statement (below) rejecting the false claims made by the programme, however Channel 4 Dispatches have refused to report this short statement in its unedited form.

6. Channel 4 Dispatches cannot be relied upon to fairly or accurately report on matters relating to Ryanair, having previously (in 2006) used actors to pose as sleeping Ryanair cabin crew to promote an earlier and equally inaccurate programme on Ryanair’s safety.

7. The Irish Aviation Authority, which is the independent safety regulator for all Irish airlines has confirmed (attached) that Ryanair fully complies with EU fuel policies, including allowing all its pilots to take as much fuel as they wish to. Over 50% of all Ryanair pilots take extra fuel over and above the already planned Ryanair extra fuel on a daily basis.

8. The self styled Ryanair Pilot Group is a PR front for the European Cockpit Association which is the club of pilots unions of Ryanair’s EU airline competitors. The Interim Council of this Non Ryanair Pilot Group (NRPG) comprises four pilots/union leaders who work for KLM, Aer Lingus, Air France and Southwest Airlines. These people have no insight, credibility or objectivity in commenting upon Ryanair’s safety. The fifth member is a serving Ryanair Captain who has recently confirmed - in writing - that he has no concerns about Ryanair’s safety. This trade union group has no credibility, it lacks any impartiality, and its fabricated survey which claims to be based upon replies from less than one third of Ryanair’s over 3,000 serving pilots are a crude attempt to use baseless safety “concerns” as a cover for its failed trade union agenda.

Finally, Ryanair’s safety has recently been confirmed by the Irish Aviation Authority as being “on a par with the safest airlines in Europe”. This is attested to by Ryanair’s outstanding 29 year safety record.

Ryanair’s Robin Kiely said:
“Ryanair rejects these failed attempts by C4 Dispatches and/or European pilot trade unions to denigrate or smear Ryanair’s outstanding 29 year safety record in an attempt to promote their 20 year failed campaign to obtain union recognition in Ryanair. Since the Channel 4 Dispatches programme (which previously used actors to promote equally false claims about Ryanair’s cabin crew) has published these false anonymous hearsay claims, and the bogus results of an unreliable, fabricated survey prepared by the European pilot trade union club, Ryanair has instructed its lawyers to issue legal proceedings against Channel 4 Dispatches for defamation and Ryanair looks forward to this matter being resolved in the Courts and the safety of Ryanair’s operations being thoroughly vindicated since the IAA has independently confirmed “Ryanair is on a par with the safest airlines in Europe” and the C4 Dispatches programme has produced no shred of evidence to undermine this independent verification of Ryanair’s outstanding safety.

Jamie2k9
12th Aug 2013, 23:30
Channel 4 using Spanish Air Traffic Control......

The same ATC who refused to allow a certain airline land in BCN until they were forced to declare a PAN.

If you are going to produce a show then have some credibility about it.

ayroplain
12th Aug 2013, 23:50
Exactly and an Air France Pilot on a Council lecturing about safety - now there's a joke if ever I heard one.

Sober Lark
13th Aug 2013, 07:40
Survey undertaken by RYR Pilot Group using Simply Voting.com

How come a person who isn't a pilot and isn't even employed by Ryanair could have participated in such a survey?:=

McBruce
13th Aug 2013, 11:18
You can't, it's secure, private process only available to registered pilots through RPG website.

Sober Lark
13th Aug 2013, 13:37
I'll give you a clue McBruce. Member checking.

snorton
13th Aug 2013, 14:48
When I look at what where the plans of Ryanair in the first posts of this thread and compare this to what the situation looks like in these statistics about passenger airlines (http://www.statista.com/topics/1151/passenger-airlines/) I would say there's still something to do. Should be the goal to keep up with Lufthansa in my opinion.

McBruce
13th Aug 2013, 15:30
Clue not required. Members of RPG are verified Ryanair pilots with Ryanair crew codes, required as part of the sign up process. Each base has RPG reps which can and will vouch if necessary for any unknown. Membership runs at 60% plus. Go figure. A lot of work is done at base level by RPG pilots. It's not as Ryanair would like you to believe, a union front. The demand from Ryanair pilots opened this path and the route to this point has been the power of Ryanair pilots.

As a previous poster said, any Ryanair pilot who takes up a role in RPG will open themselves up to the company. We all used to wear RPG lanyards until a memo stated disciplinary action would follow for any uniform violation. Base captains then told pilots the RPG lanyard must be removed or face the consequences. As for RPG we are extremely lucky to be able to vote and appoint such top council members with top experience.

Basically RPG is Ryanair pilots. By Attacking RPG Ryanair are attacking their own staff. The very own staff who are having their homes raided due to a bizarre employment model. The same staff who are having to gel together and create a group to pay for legal representation against a state. Ryanair pilots realised along time ago, we are on our own if we don't join together and protect our own profession and at least get a legal contract in the country we are based.

Lord Spandex Masher
14th Aug 2013, 10:59
who are having their homes raided

Really? By who and what for?

alm1
14th Aug 2013, 11:42
As a passenger I would rather fly on time with a sick pilot than have my flight deleyed or canceled. Because I think that it is still safer than any additional ground transportation.

Captain Smithy
14th Aug 2013, 12:01
As a passenger I would rather fly on time with a sick pilot than have my flight deleyed or canceled. Because I think that it is still safer than any additional ground transportation.

So you would quite happily accept the greatly increased risk of an incident threatening your safety and possibly your life through enforced presenteeism just so as to satisfy your ignorance. You are welcome to it pal, though most pilots would see sense and save your neck (and your ignorance).

Sadly sums up the ignorance surrounding aviation today. After all, it's routine, int'it? What is there to it? It's dead simple, yeah? You just hop on, turn the key and go off, yeah? Just like getting on the Number 31 Bus to go and visit Granny, yeah? I mean, there's nothing to it, is there? It's dead simple, yeah, 'cos I've flown the B737 in FS2004 and its dead easy, yeah? :rolleyes:

Haven't seen the programme but I'm interested as I knew a couple of lads who went to work for FR, they seemed to be enjoying it though.

wowzz
14th Aug 2013, 12:11
alm1 - I think that comment is probably the most absurd thing I have read on this forum. Are you sure you didn't mean to post in the Friday Jokes section

confused atco
14th Aug 2013, 12:19
who are having their homes raided
Really? By who and what for?

UK revenue maybe.

Article in newspaper on Sunday suggested that UK Income Tax people are looking at how some of the pilot companies are set up.

Their concern seems to mirror other Tax Authorities concerns regarding where you work and where you pay tax.

Ivan aromer
14th Aug 2013, 16:17
Having watched the entire programme I thought is was poorly researched, and a bit sensationalised. The use of a Spanish controller, whose English was average (but better than my Spanish) was problematic considering the trouble the Spanish controllers have caused with their work to rule. However FR are allegedly issuing defamation proceeding against C4. Again the is no such thing as bad publicity, unless there is a pile of bits somewhere which to date FR has avoided.

The Grim Reaper
14th Aug 2013, 21:53
LSM: by whom? and for what?

Germans raid Ryanair pilots | The Sunday Times (http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1234956.ece)

j636
14th Aug 2013, 22:30
Ryanair pilot sacked for 'gross misconduct' - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0814/468241-ryanair-john-goss/)

Aerlingus231
14th Aug 2013, 22:33
That should be setting off alarm bells to people right there.

reracked
15th Aug 2013, 13:47
Scandalous, lets hope the pilots react with more resolve than they did when Ryanair disposed of Martin Duffy and Jim Duggan all those years ago :=

FRatSTN
15th Aug 2013, 14:27
Ryanair FR4054 from Warsaw to East Midlands today was diverted. Anybody know where to and why?

Jorik
15th Aug 2013, 14:29
FR4054 diverted to Birmingham due to thunderstorms at East Midlands airport. You can always check it here: Vluchtstatus (http://www.ryanair.com/nl/flight-info)

The Real Slim Shady
15th Aug 2013, 16:03
SAFETY!!!!!

Burnie5204
15th Aug 2013, 19:39
An isolated shower passed through with a heavy core.

FR4054 was the only only divert and he went to BHX.

Nobody 'held off' and the 4054 was not subject to any holding or delaying vectors but the 4054 was unlucky with his timing (and his fuel presumably) and came onto finals just as the core drifted to sit right on the final approach.

He hit the weather, decided he couldnt get it down safely and elected to proceed straight ahead and handover direct to BHX App. and divert into there rather than wait.

Passengers were coached to EMA and the A/C then positioned into EMA about 45 minutes later.

roulishollandais
16th Aug 2013, 00:00
They are self-employed
1. A French self-employed pilot cannot apply to CRPN (Retirement and accident) mandatory for airline pilots.

That hate against pilots unions is paranoiac megalomania.

These "bizarre" rules show ignorance of the Law from Managers and Direction

2. Do the passengers pay their transport contract (the ticket) to the pilots??!?!?

@alm1
Pilots are not allowed to fly if they know their health is not conform to Class I requirements.

captplaystation
28th Aug 2013, 16:55
This was on the Aer Lingus thread on Airlines Airports & Routes

Thought it warranted greater exposure.

Strange decision, but I am guessing not too many will be crying for them.

Yahoo! News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/ryanair-ordered-sell-aer-lingus-stake-063312623.html#s9P8sNF)

RAT 5
28th Aug 2013, 19:17
Ryanair said it will appeal against the decision to the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal.

I'm a simple soul. RYR an Irish based company wants to buy another Irish based company, and is blocked. It is going to appeal to the UK government. Am I missing something here? What has Ireland got to do with the UK government? RYR seem to want to harangue everybody who disagrees with them over anything. But in this case are they chasing the correct victims of their displeasure?

El Bunto
28th Aug 2013, 19:41
RYR an Irish based company wants to buy another Irish based company, and is blocked. It is going to appeal to the UK government.
The decision in question was reached by the UK Competition Commission, hence the appeal.

On what grounds did the Competition Commission believe they could pass such a ruling?

Ah..

1. RYANAIR UK LIMITED
SATELITE 3
LONDON STANSTED AIRPORT
STANSTED
ESSEX
CM24 1RW

2. Operators in UK airspace are subject to UK regulations.

RAT 5
28th Aug 2013, 19:49
This would suggest that RYR is able to change colours faster than a chameleon. It's an IRE company when it wants to be, then suddenly it is a UK company. How do the guys & galls know who they work for and whose rules & regs? Ah, that's the game they play. Time to nail it down.

j636
28th Aug 2013, 20:14
Most UK staff directly employed by Ryanair are hired on UK contracts not Irish ones like the rest of Europe. MOL said it in a interview before.

Sober Lark
28th Aug 2013, 20:52
Now Michael O'Leary joins Bob Geldof as being a true Brit! Ryanair and Aer Lingus carry over 80% of traffic from UK to Ireland and vice versa and UK wants to ensure future healthy competition.

racedo
28th Aug 2013, 22:15
A rather stupid decision where its implications have not been thought through by UK Govt.

Uk company doing business in another member state where has a tiny market share can find itself being subject to that countrys takeover rules based on what UK CC are doing on precedence. Does City of London really want to find taleovers orchestrated by it held up because Estonia Govt body wishes to have an input?

EU is arbitrator of competition rather than selective Govt bodies with vested interests to remove self interest of Govt.

Funny how BA buying BCAL / BMI etc etc was never a threat to competition nor were there any competitive issues with BAA having majority of London airports until day it was bought by Ferrovial.

racedo
28th Aug 2013, 22:17
2. Operators in UK airspace are subject to UK regulations.

Regulations not takeover law as based on that then IAG could have been stopped by any country who had flights from BA or Iberia.

Sober Lark
29th Aug 2013, 07:05
The UK Competition Commission finding may be a catalyst for the EU commission to change its legislation. However, a bit early for anyone to celebrate until after Ryanair's appeal which could take 18 months. Lawyers
are indeed very fortunate these days.

I assume you were away on holiday or otherwise unavailable for comment for the past few weeks Racedo ;)

curser
29th Aug 2013, 07:58
Just because the decision went against mol's plan doesn't necessarily mean it's "stupid", you should be more careful Racedo if the oft were as litigious as the camp you cheer lead for you would find yourself in Court exposed and retracting feverishly.
The difference between your comparative cases is not "funny" but does require some research... Go do some,uninformed opinion is dull.
Also not " funny" mol squandering vast sums of shareholders money. Monies that the Pilots helped earn and which should be returned to the stake holders in some form. Hold him to account he's wasting your money!
Notin but luv 4 u baby (but u used to be more fun/informed)

Cyrano
29th Aug 2013, 08:59
Uk company doing business in another member state where has a tiny market share can find itself being subject to that countrys takeover rules based on what UK CC are doing on precedence. Does City of London really want to find taleovers orchestrated by it held up because Estonia Govt body wishes to have an input?

You'll know that the evaluation of many of these merger/takeover/antitrust cases hinges on the definition of the relevant market.

You refer to "a tiny market share". You'll also know that the UKCC has defined the relevant market, not as "all routes from the UK", but as "routes between Britain and Ireland". Section 4.47 of the UKCC final report (http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/assets/competitioncommission/docs/2012/ryanair-aer-lingus/130828_ryanair_final_report.pdf) says that in 2012 Ryanair had 49.9% of that market and Aer Lingus 31.7%. Tiny? Really?

The AA/US takeover, now stalled, involves 2 US airlines who generate most of their ASKs domestically. It still needed separate EC approval (and a commitment to divest an LHR slot pair) because of the potential impact on competition on particular transatlantic routes (the EC considered the "relevant market" to be routes between the EC and the US). That's not a remedy that the US DOJ would have asked for since its focus is on domestic US competition. In the AA/US case, should the EC therefore not have had the right to impose conditions or remedies on a takeover which would affect it?

racedo
29th Aug 2013, 12:09
I assume you were away on holiday or otherwise unavailable for comment for the past few weeks Racedo

Happy to say I was :)
Prob one of most relaxing ones in years, SWMBO made it clear that spend time on web then she goes home but place had crap net service anyway.

Doesn't appear I missed much as saw the C4 prog and not really worth it.

racedo
29th Aug 2013, 12:14
You refer to "a tiny market share". You'll also know that the UKCC has defined the relevant market, not as "all routes from the UK", but as "routes between Britain and Ireland". Section 4.47 of the UKCC final report (http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/assets/competitioncommission/docs/2012/ryanair-aer-lingus/130828_ryanair_final_report.pdf) says that in 2012 Ryanair had 49.9% of that market and Aer Lingus 31.7%. Tiny? Really?

Terms of reference drawn up to make sure the final decision could be justified, hell thats not a hard thing to do.

Decide the verdict and make sure background stacks up to it.........not really a hard job to do.

racedo
29th Aug 2013, 12:20
Also not " funny" mol squandering vast sums of shareholders money. Monies that the Pilots helped earn and which should be returned to the stake holders in some form. Hold him to account he's wasting your money!

Really ? Funny think shareholders happy with their returns over 10 years.

As for wasting money I have seen little Union and Employee complaints in EI about the hundreds of millions blown since privitisation..............oh wait they benefited from it.

Pilots helped earn and were paid for their part in it.
Anybody in any industry who feels their market pay is low is pretty much free to go to market.............if people earn more elsewhere then fair play to them.
But what happens when the market decides that they earn less and have worse conditions ?

EI-BUD
29th Aug 2013, 12:28
1. RYANAIR UK LIMITED
SATELITE 3
LONDON STANSTED AIRPORT
STANSTED
ESSEX
CM24 1RW

El Bunto
I refer to your post, my understanding was that FR created Ryanair UK in the 90s about 1994, to get around the then rules that restricted Ryanair as a non UK airline from operating a UK domestic route with a full aircraft. PIK STN when it first launched was restricted to selling only 50% of the available seats on the aircraft, and setting up Ryanair UK was a bid to circumvent this rule.

Therefore, I am not sure that the UK alone will be able to ultimately stand over this ruling within the context of EU rules.

EI-DAC
29th Aug 2013, 14:01
TRN-DUB is back, effective dec 21st.

JM737
30th Aug 2013, 03:56
I didnt see anything about this on here yet but the opposition party in Ireland have called on the government to carry out a parliamentary enquiry into Ryanairs safety record in light of recent events.

TD asks Oireachtas to question Ryanair on safety record - News - MSN Ireland (http://news.ie.msn.com/business/td-asks-oireachtas-to-question-ryanair-on-safety-record)

The man calling for the enquiry is Timmy Dooley, the opposition spokesman of transport and you can reach him here to voice your concerns in total confidence as anything said in a parliamentary enquiry is said under parliamentary privilege so is not actionable under defamation law.
Timmy Dooley, Spokesperson on Transport, Tourism and Sport | Fianna Fáil (http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/timmy-dooley/)

And you can write to the current minister for transport Leo Varadkar here to let him know why you think it should take place.
Leo Varadkar (http://leovaradkar.ie/)

brownstar
30th Aug 2013, 06:17
SN-TV: "Vi kan inte stämma SN" - Nyköping - www.sn.se (http://www.sn.se/nyheter/nykoping/1.1891431)

Put this in as a link so more people may see it. Please don't merge it with the Ryanair secrets link.

A few interesting comments by him.

LGS6753
30th Aug 2013, 13:25
A very polished performance by Mr O'Leary, as usual.

RAT 5
30th Aug 2013, 14:47

Slippery.

wowzz
30th Aug 2013, 22:50
'Polished' ?
All MoL did was to read a script at breakneck speed, and then swat aside ill-informed questions, none of whom seem to have any real understanding of how Ryanair operates. Why did he even bother to make the trip?
I just wish a journo had asked some decent questions about Brookfield and zero hour contracts.

Hangar6
30th Aug 2013, 23:11
Mmm the repeated on off with the glasses was unusual for mol
He was under pressure
Journos missed a chance
He was flying without wings and they missed it....

RAT 5
31st Aug 2013, 08:25
That's because jornos are general and not specific. They kept saying they had spoken to pilots, but had they listened; had they delved deeper with the pilot and taken notes? They asked easy general questions that could be swatted and they didn't have the knowledge to follow up. Steve Sacker did the same on Hardtalk. The researchers must have been very wet behind the ears.

MOL challenged the jornos and the pilots to present facts, not anonymous puppets claiming to be RYR pilots. He claimed everything was a lie. He said he would give a guarantee of no recrimination to any pilot wishing to raise issues. Why does RPG not accept the challenge and have a public debate with MOL. I'm sure CH 4 would oblige. They have a very public guarantee that nothing will happen to them. He would be under the spotlight if there were any recriminations.

Capetonian
31st Aug 2013, 09:01
I also thougt it was typically slick and polished performance by MoL. He is a master of the art. He made a couple of blunders, I thought the main one was the stupid comment about 'flying slow'to save fuel is safer.

He is a slimebag of note, and I despise the way he does business, but it is hard to get the better of him in a debate and he does run one of the world's most successful and (statistically) safest airlines.

racedo
31st Aug 2013, 09:13
He is a slimebag of note, and I despise the way he does business,

Why call someone that when you don't know him ?

Capetonian
31st Aug 2013, 10:18
Why call someone that when you don't know him ?
Given the context, is that a serious question, a joke, or just a dig?

racedo
31st Aug 2013, 10:39
Given the context, is that a serious question, a joke, or just a dig?

A serious question.........
Why chose personal attack and words like that if you do not know the person ?

Aldente
31st Aug 2013, 11:15
You're asking the wrong person ......

RAT 5
31st Aug 2013, 13:18
but it is hard to get the better of him in a debate

If one did research properly and thoroughly, with a clear objective in mind, and one didn't let him go into politician's diversion tactics but kept to the point and demanded a clear answer, then one could tie him in knots. He knows about his business model but clouds it in overload of data a la Margret Tatcher. You will be swamped with so called facts and numbers, but they will not tell the whole story. They will sound impressive, but there are hidden holes that need to be exposed. When it comes to T's & C's of his pilots and cabin crew, if one has done correct research he could be tongue tied and twisted and contradicting himself every minute.
The jornos who interview him think they will hit an easy target with dolly drops. Naive. They need to stop him moving and call in Freddie Truman for straight talking fast and fiery bouncers that will have him ducking & weaving.

Either that of forget the whole thing and don't waste energy. These press events could almost be RYR orchestrated. Now there's one for the conspiracy theorists.

lexoncd
1st Sep 2013, 11:36
Here are a few questions I would ask Michael O'leary.

If a flight leaves early or is delayed he states that a pilot is paid the same block hours. Ok so if a flight of a one hour block time is delayed by three hours doe this mean the pilot is still paid for the one hour and not the four?

Then following this is their next sectors are cancelled due to any reason do they therefore not get paid. So in adverse weather conditions is it not tempting to fly and be paid rather than cancel a flight and not be paid?

We know the annual limit is 900 hours but On a zero hour contract do the pilots with better fuel performance get preference over other pilots in rosters, hours, especially in the slack winter months?

Why are so many pilots of a successful airline employed by agencies such as Brookfield and not on the payroll of Ryanair as they are unable to work for other airlines so in the UK don't IR35 rules apply?

pee
2nd Sep 2013, 11:55
The Swedish press (Svenska Dagbladet among else) commented on O'Leary's "monkey tricks" today. Attracting the attention by all means is not necessarily good in a final conclusion, they say. Richard Wahlund, professor at the Stockholm School of Economics, argues that O'Leary's provocative style could be detrimental to his company. Too much arrogance creates the strongly negative image that could have consequences in the longer term. MOL's provocative jargon is harmful, because it sets up a risk to Ryanair's brand. Most businesses could eventually run into trouble if they do not cultivate trust. As long as everything works fine, the so-called risk of reputation could be easily deferred. However, the insufficient confidence could have very disastrous consequences for the future of the company e.g. in case of a sudden event (like a major accident). According to prof. Wahlund, having a CEO who heckles everything from the authorities and the media to customers and staff could easily backfire anytime in the future.

Read in Swedish: svd.se (http://www.svd.se/naringsliv/branscher/handel-och-tjanster/olearys-apkonster-kan-sanka-ryanair_8471294.svd)

The Grim Reaper
3rd Sep 2013, 09:29
pee - and it will.

McBruce
3rd Sep 2013, 10:03
I have unfortunately had several days in RYR that have been cancelled and I've not been paid a penny. For example the snow in the UK a few years ago. We would goto airport in the morning. Do preflights. Board passengers. Deice aircraft (worst one took 2 hours! due to conditions being outside deice fluids operating window).... I have spent many days at the airport for flights to be cancelled and not get paid a penny and those days have went up and beyond 12 hours. My most extreme delay not counting overnights a 15 hour day with discretion and got paid for 4 hours. Scheduled day was 2 x 2 hour sectors. Those additional 11 hours aren't a walk in the park.

If you ask me they should have additional pay in the contracts for unexpected events so you don't have an example of the majority of crew working for free.... But then again this is RYR. It's common practise in the summer to have ATC slots so its not unusual to do 1-4 hour delays going to popular summer destinations.

Following on from one of the posts above I would also ask MOL a few performance based questions. How is EZY, a unionised airline that pays its staff well, has a lot less aircraft than RYR, manage to financially outshine RYR. RYR may have made slightly more but with a fleet that's more than 50% larger...shows the lack of potential performance.

JM737
3rd Sep 2013, 12:07

That was not a very polished performance, look at the body language, the constant fidgeting and playing with his glasses, talking a million miles an hour while brushing aside the questions with practiced spin and bluster. He raised the agenda, he set the tone for the questions and dismissed them all without actually answering any of them truthfully.
He had it easy there batting away a few foreign jouros with no real knowledge of what they were asking or how to follow up on their questions.
According to another site where these matters are freely discussed, MO'L is going to be given another chance to answer these same questions but this time under oath and at the hands of a highly skilled and capable defence barrister who knows exactly what to ask. From what it says on there the witnesses are lining up around the block to give evidence that could prove very damaging to RYR and by default the IAA.
Interesting times ahead.

McBruce
3rd Sep 2013, 14:46
Yup - His lies are blatant and pure ignorance. Doing the calculations on how many hours pilot work per week. He used the annual flight time limitations which doesn't include any turnaround time, delays, pre-flight duty time and post flight duty time, average out over the year or 11 months, forgot, but we do very little flying in 4 of those months and a jam packed schedule for the others through summer that hits limits.... but then that would make his answer more unfavourable but more truthful. The press don't understand the issues to be grilling him or attack any of his responses but as the above poster said, he doesn't have the best track record infront of a judge! ;)

LGS6753
3rd Sep 2013, 16:32
I stand by my comment that MOL made a very polished performance.

- He refuted the allegations put to him (by professional journalists who should have prepared in advance if they wanted to raise difficult questions).

- He put his/the company's point of view clearly and repeatedly.

- He didn't look embarrassed or uneasy when asked searching questions.

- He reiterated the company's commitment to legal and safety standards.

JM737's observation of his body language is correct, but misinterpreted. Successful senior business people are generally dynamic, impatient and busy. It goes with the territory.

I am fully aware that certain employees and former employees of Ryanair take issue with the corporate culture that MOL personifies. As he says, if they don't like it, they can always move elsewhere. Harsh, but true.

Drive4it
3rd Sep 2013, 18:25
With EZY releasing their Apr/May/Jun 2014 flights tomorrow, when could we expect FR to do the same?

farci
4th Sep 2013, 07:26
I stand by my comment that MOL made a very polished performance.
- He refuted the allegations put to him (by professional journalists who should have prepared in advance if they wanted to raise difficult questions).
- He put his/the company's point of view clearly and repeatedly.
- He didn't look embarrassed or uneasy when asked searching questions.
- He reiterated the company's commitment to legal and safety standards.

JM737's observation of his body language is correct, but misinterpreted. Successful senior business people are generally dynamic, impatient and busy. It goes with the territory.

I am fully aware that certain employees and former employees of Ryanair take issue with the corporate culture that MOL personifies. As he says, if they don't like it, they can always move elsewhere. Harsh, but true. I endorse the comments from LGS6753.

I am mere SLF and don't fully understand the arguments about pilots' hours etc. However, I would rather work for a company whose CEO had a clear business agenda and model.

The responsibility is on disenchanted employees to find a way to engage Ryanair in a mutually beneficial way and not rely on the press whose motivation is merely ratings.

The proof of the pudding will be if Ryanair proceeds against Channel 4 and wins the case

LGS6753
4th Sep 2013, 09:13
Not everything is rosy, though....

Ryanair shares tumble on profits warning - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10285343/Ryanair-shares-tumble-on-profits-warning.html)

SealinkBF
4th Sep 2013, 09:24
I have no ax to grind with Ryanair, and in fact they have allowed me to visit some great destinations for next to nothing.

Yet I wonder if their business plan has a shelf life?
Is their market a perpetual pool of passengers who will fly cheap fares and buy ancilliaries? Or is the market maturing, and people actually want to a bit of TLC when travelling?

racedo
4th Sep 2013, 12:11

Ryanair shares tumble on profits warning - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10285343/Ryanair-shares-tumble-on-profits-warning.html)

Comment was they at bottom end of range rather than missing the forecast and market appears to reacted badly. Think its overdone.

heidelberg
4th Sep 2013, 12:16
SeaBF I think you've got in one.
Thank goodness Ryanair arrived on the scene to shake the high cost legacy airlines out of their over priced slumbers.
However I now believe the flying public are becoming more discerning and do want a little TLC and are prepared to pay a little extra for it.
I am one of those.

pee
4th Sep 2013, 12:30
"In recent weeks we have noticed a perceptible dip in forward fares and yields into September, October and November "
Organizing a couple of group trips I've been forced to keep an eye on price trends over some weeks (and tolerate the captcha annoyance, never mind). Hence, I was able to notice some unfortunate efforts to rise the price level. To my mind, some three months in advance the fares on many routes used to be simply too high, many pax could have decided to buy elsewhere. Thereafter, maybe two month before the flight day, fares do drop significantly... too late for many old customers who got used to act "the sooner the better". Making the impact on yields?

On the other hand, flights from some small airports, where the locals cannot afford to pay more marketing support, are performing brilliantly with almost 100% LF and without any need to lower fares. Look at Lappeenranta, for example: full loads, high fares, yet the routes development stalled. Time to re-think some principles?

berkshire boy
4th Sep 2013, 12:53
Comment was they at bottom end of range rather than missing the forecast and market appears to reacted badly. Think its overdone. The comment was that there was no guarantee that the outturn may not finish at or slightly below the lower end of the range - thus missing their forecast.

"However, the company warned that "if fares and yields continue to weaken over the coming winter there can be no guarantee that the full year outturn may not finish at or slightly below the lower end of this range".

davidjohnson6
4th Sep 2013, 13:09
SealinkBF - as long as Ryanair flies routes without competition or is substantially cheaper than airlines providing a bit of TLC, all without compromising reliability and punctuality, there will be an ongoing consumer demand for FR's product.

This is partly Lufthansa's rationale around Germanwings - if the difference after including things like luggage between a better airline's lowest fare and Ryanair is small, then people will often spend a *bit* more cash for quality.

Sober Lark
4th Sep 2013, 13:40
Investors are used to share price fluctuations so don't read into it too much.

SealinkBF, I don't believe they have reached their limit of bargain hunting passengers in Europe.

Remember their count of 81.5 million passengers is not 81.5 million different people. If you make a round trip you are counted as 2 passengers.

Those that want a little extra TLC will purchase the likes of lounge access, preferred boarding, reserved seating etc etc and they will still find them an attractive proposition.

befree
4th Sep 2013, 14:48
A small change in Load factor makes a big change in profits. I am sure that the C4 programme will take 0.5% off those who are happy to fly with MOL. The worst case for MOL is that he takes C4 to court and C4 manage to show in court that Ryanair cuts corners on safety.

TSR2
4th Sep 2013, 15:34
Remember their count of 81.5 million passengers is not 81.5 million different people. If you make a round trip you are counted as 2 passengers.

And not forgetting the number of people that post on here taking considerably more than 1 return flight per year. I recall a while back that someone actually stated/boasted they took close to one hundred flights per year.

RAT 5
4th Sep 2013, 15:37
I suspect the CH 4 court case will have more viewers than "who shot JR...Dallas?"

lexoncd
4th Sep 2013, 16:40
Many many moons ago I worked for airtours who in the early years had a very simple pricing strategy £69 for a week self catering with each additional week £10. £13.84 airport taxes and you saved £5 because dan air only served coffee and biscuits. Fuel surcharges funnily enough were often 9.98% just below the 10% that allowed you to cancel..

Times changed. Abta got involved and airport taxes had to be included. Fuel surcharges had to be explained and op absorb the first 2%. Air Europe came along with hot meals on every flight and slowly airtours changed the quality of the product and grew knowing the cheap n cheerful and quite honestly couldn't give two hoots about the punters days were over.. The text is history but I sense the ryanair model has matured as much as it can. When you're charging so much for luggage it's cheaper to freight it your pushing the limits of pricing before people don't cut down the simply cut you out.

Notice easyjet adopting more of a legacy style and higher yields and growth. I see a great future for ryanair if/when they make the inevitable changes and retain a fare differential over competitors whilst abolishing some of the hoops and issues consumers are possibly become tired of.