PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - 9

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

sunday8pm
15th Nov 2012, 10:24
Are you sure?

EMA - TFS is still showing 4x weekly for S13.

ericlday
15th Nov 2012, 11:19
LTN - TFS still Tues/Thus/Sat for S13

EI-A330-300
15th Nov 2012, 12:47
Must of being a glitch on the website as everything is back on sale from there now.

saggst
15th Nov 2012, 15:49
I see flights for Luton - Marrakesh are back on sale from the start of February and twice a week

I guess MOL got his way after pulling nearly all the flights out at the end of last summer ?

FRatSTN
15th Nov 2012, 16:17
Looks like Stansted to Marrakech is set to continue from February as well. I wonder if EasyJet's move on this route has anything to do with it??

eu01
18th Nov 2012, 08:05
SAS management has just rejected pilot proposals... no time left.

In the short term, the only European airline theoretically able to throw a big amount of planes into the market within a days to fill the potential gap is Ryanair.
In the longer term, the only one airline having enough new plane orders is Norwegian.

Regardless of this pure speculation above, the new FR base in CPH looks more likely than ever.

Type Rated B767
18th Nov 2012, 09:49
Has anyone any inside information on new routes S13 from EGNM/LBA? I know Manchesters was announced last week or so...

DublinPole
20th Nov 2012, 11:12
It may be popular to bash Ryanair but their customer service is actually pretty good. I was on a delayed flight over the weekend where the plane that was due to take me was diverted to another airport. I was delayed by 3 hours but there was NOTHING they could do to be fair as it effected all airlines.

However this morning I got an email, complete with apology, with PDF attached that I could send to my insurer if I had one, confirming the delay and reason for the delay without even having to contact them.

Not that I took out any insurance, but I congratulate FR on being so pro-active.

lexoncd
20th Nov 2012, 11:54
It may be popular to bash Ryanair but their customer service is actually pretty good. I was on a delayed flight over the weekend where the plane that was due to take me was diverted to another airport. I was delayed by 3 hours but there was NOTHING they could do to be fair as it effected all airlines.

However this morning I got an email, complete with apology, with PDF attached that I could send to my insurer if I had one, confirming the delay and reason for the delay without even having to contact them.

Not that I took out any insurance, but I congratulate FR on being so pro-active.

That's to head off an eu261 claims at the pass as they say... If Hurricans Sandy and Ash cloud is out of an airlines control then at this time of the year so is any bad weather... See Fred Olsen lines Bay of Biscaycrusie ship case for info.

PhilW1981
20th Nov 2012, 17:29

Not that I took out any insurance, but I congratulate FR on being so pro-active.This isn't good service, it is a blatant attempt to pass the EU261 buck away from themselves and onto travel insurers. Monarch tried to do the same to me recently. That said, in this case it could well be that the delay was out of the airlines control, in my case it certainly wasn't.

RAT 5
21st Nov 2012, 14:39
It is not always easy, even possible, to learn from the airline the real cause of any delay. That is necessary to make any claim correctly. I've heard from various friends on more than one occasion that ATC or weather was given as the reason for a diversion and/or subsequent delay: one in the case where the return flight a/c never arrived but diverted before making an approach or holding. They were stuck for 3 days and told it was weather and not the fault of the airline. I'm not sure if the court case has finished as they later discovered this reason not to be correct. Correct information is vital and powerful.

eu01
21st Nov 2012, 16:10
"Restructuring the debt" they call it in politics. EU has no choice but to restructure Greek debts, Ryanair agreed to do the same in relation to its agreement with Thessaloniki Tourism Organization. As a result the marketing support for 2012, still unpaid, will be reduced from 350,000 to 250,000 EUR and the flights can continue for the time-being. The negotiations concerning next year will follow.

Jamie2k9
21st Nov 2012, 17:32
The good times at BUD have come to an end. Third of routes to be cut over increase in landing and handling charges. Full details on Thursday.

eu01
21st Nov 2012, 18:08
Yeah. Having sold tens of thousands extremely low fare tickets on BUD routes (as a costly marketing investment in a way), having built their position there, now we'll observe far too familiar reaction. Next dispute, disagreement, once again retreating, at least partially so far... somewhat chaotic approach.

FRatSTN
21st Nov 2012, 18:13
I wonder what Wizzair's reaction would be to that? I'd say probably very little if anything, they've grown quite a lot in BUD themselves and they to like the lowest landing fees so perhaps won't be too pleased themselves. I would say despite flying 3x daily, that the Stansted route will not be cut as the frequency is now on par with Wizzair's service to Luton and would probably want to keep their share of the London route.

Edit:

Routes to cut from 30 to 20, including the ending of:

Baden Baden
Birmingham
Dusseldorf
Malaga
Munich

Above destinations for the winter said to be "uneconomic".

TBSC
22nd Nov 2012, 11:20
Routes to cut from 30 to 20, including the ending of:

Baden-Baden
Birmingham
Dusseldorf
Malaga
Munich

& Lübeck, Bologna, Oslo, Cracow, Thessaloniki.

3 based aircraft instead of 5, frequency cuts on 9 of the remaining flights.

DublinPole
22nd Nov 2012, 19:47
There is nor real direct overlap with any of those airports with Wizz, besides a good few of them are from airports which are not served by Wizz full stop.

The fact is some of those routes are getting axed not because of the charges, but because of the load factor was very low, I know Krakow was around 35% a good number of times, occasionally higher.

OltonPete
22nd Nov 2012, 20:25
DublinPole

And back in the real world: -

BHX-BUD

Source of the passenger figures - CAA

April 2367 pax - average 148 per flight or 78%
May 2584 pax - average 144 per flight or 76%
June 2891 pax - average 161 per flight or 85%
July 2676 pax - average 167 per flight or 88%
August 3120 pax - average 173 per flight or 92%
September 2831 pax - average 157 per flight or 83%
October 2975 pax - average 165 per flight or 87%

Now if you said fares were low them I might agree but I am interested where you got 50% from. The figures above assume that all flights operated.

Pete

DublinPole
22nd Nov 2012, 20:29
Must be bad data I got, so apologies for that

The Krakow data is certainly correct though, couple of my friends used it and it was always very empty it's been discussed by others on a Polish forum saying pretty much the same thing
Ryanair: Koniec Krakw - Budapeszt (1) - Pasazer.com (http://www.pasazer.com/fa,12373,0.html)

Someone even remarked they saw the flight on occasions with no hold luggage at all!!

anna_list
22nd Nov 2012, 20:40
DublinPole is absolutely right about BUD-KRK. Budapest airport publishes monthly data here: http://www.bud.hu/english/business-and-partners/aviation/aviation_databank/documents_for_all_airlines/2012-traffic-statistics-for-all-airlines-9082.html

The average flown loads on BUD-KRK from February to October have been 36%, 48%, 54%, 50%, 44%, 36%, 37%, 37%, 44%. It's only a short hop, but with such low loads, Ryanair would need very decent yields in order for the route to be profitable.

I can also confirm OltonPete's figures for BHX-BUD. Loads certainly haven't been a problem on that route.

Jorik
22nd Nov 2012, 21:30
Cancellations and reduction from January 2013.
Cancelled routes already noted here.
Reductions on the routes:
- Barcelona (BCN)
- Brussels-Charleroi (CRL)
- Dublin (DUB)
- Madrid (MAD)
- Paris-Beauvais (BVA)
- Rome-Ciampino (CIA)
- Venice-Treviso (TSF)
- Warsaw-Modlin (WMI)

TBSC
22nd Nov 2012, 23:11
Certainly a big step towards "world leadership" mol promised in hungarian press in August.

pee
23rd Nov 2012, 11:22
Reductions on the routes:
Tampere 33% reduction as well.

Jorik
23rd Nov 2012, 13:33
Allright, they forget to mention that during the presentation then :=
Shots of the Powerpoint in this video: Bekeményített a Ryanair: 800 munkahely sz

eu01
23rd Nov 2012, 14:35
I love Hungarian language. I really do! :ok:

eu01
28th Nov 2012, 16:24
Ryanair will return to Strasbourg. Yes, the same airport it quitted many, many years ago, remember?
September 01, 2003
Court subsidies verdict forces Ryanair to quit Strasbourg

Ryanair has suffered a blow to its European expansion strategy based on using smaller airports with low airline charges to contribute significantly to its low operating cost base. A French court has ruled in favour of an Air France claim that Strasbourg airport unfairly subsidised Ryanair flights. As a result, Ryanair will end its two daily flights from its London Stansted hub to Strasbourg on September 24 and instead fly to nearby Baden-Baden, 40km away in south-west Germany.Two first destinations will be STN and Porto, from April 2013.

racedo
28th Nov 2012, 18:10
Ryanair will return to Strasbourg. Yes, the same airport it quitted many, many years ago, remember?

Bescause AF through its BritAir subsidary bitched and FR got of grief for cancelling the route.

Funny when Britair cancelled London to Strasbourg the media were all quiet as were Prooners.

FRatSTN
28th Nov 2012, 18:36
Third new Ryanair route for Stansted already. Looking good for 2013 so far and hopefully many more new ones to come. I think if I remember correctly, there were 11 new ones for 2012 and only 3 were axed at Stansted.

davidjohnson6
29th Nov 2012, 00:48
Is this due to an increase in capacity (either through a increase in STN / OPO based aircraft or via aircraft based elsewhere) or is it simply because other underperforming routes served by STN based aircraft have been culled / reduced instead ?

Went to Strasbourg (by train) several years ago - lovely place in the summer.

Sober Lark
29th Nov 2012, 08:41
Ryanair is introducing a 2% credit card fee in addition to the £6 administration fee for all bookings made from tomorrow. This is to comply with the OFT ruling earlier this year which said airline fees must be more transparent.

RAT 5
29th Nov 2012, 08:52
Yet another money printing manoeuvre. Rather than include the OFT rules in the said admin fee, as it should be, they add yet another charge and will blame it on the government as it is outside their control. Economical with the truth PR. If it is so easy to add bits here and there to increase profit why can €0.50c not be added to give crews their first (decent) pay rise in 5 years? That would cost 10% of an annual profit, but could easily be funded by such a charge. Think how much the €2 volcano charge has made since inception a few years ago; with nothing paid out. €150m per year pumped into profit, but crew T's & C's reduce. Disgrace. With 75m pax each year they can just print money at will to fill their own pockets. Staggering.

DublinPole
29th Nov 2012, 09:56
Despite widespread belief, the old 6 euro charge for credit card was nowhere near the largest one that is going around many airlines for a single flight for instance. With the average Ryanair fare around 50 euro, it only increases to 7 euro. for most people and if you pay with Maestro or Visa Debit it's still 6 euro.

Wizz have been charging 8 euro for a good while now per flight for a credit card fee. This means that all Ryanair fares that are under 100 euro per person per flight will continue to be cheaper than Wizz for a card charge. Debit card will remain identical to Ryanair. They're also now charging for standard cabin bags. True they include the card charge in the price, but they simply upped all fares by 8 euro to compensate.

Also last time I flew with Easyjet for a one way ticket for myself, I remember that I ended up paying something crazy such as 10 euro charge just for using a credit card, plus another 2.5% on top of the cost of the flight. A 50 euro single fare ended up paying over 11 euro surcharge just for one flight for one person.

I'm not trying to justify the increase as I think we'd all like to pay less for our flights, but my point is that this is being blown out of proportion by the media. But what is going to be an increase of roughly a euro or two at most on a flight is something I can live with. Having to join a club to get the lowest fares, or paying for a cabin bag is not something I'd prefer.

Competition Comparison
Fees and charges (http://www.easyjet.com/en/fees-and-charges)
list of service fees (http://wizzair.com/en-GB/useful_information/service_fees)

boyzinblue
29th Nov 2012, 11:43
Another 5 aircraft freed up by reducing services at Madrid and Barcelona from March 30th next year. Ah yes, AENA's "unjustified" fee increases. Nothing like our own fees that we charge - just open a German bank account to avoid the added increase, well just until March 2013. After that we'll put up the fee for direct debit too.I wonder where they'll base the 5 aircraft? Better make sure they don't fly to back Spain again.

alm1
29th Nov 2012, 12:05
But with Wizz Air you can avoid card fee althogether by depositing 300 eur or more to your Wizz Account (you then have to spend that in one year).

pee
29th Nov 2012, 12:14
I wonder where they'll base the 5 aircraft?
Good question. Actually they pretend to be disappointed in every move their partners do, no matter what country in question.

By the way, didn't Germany intend to lower its aviation tax? Elsewhere... Spain as mentioned above, Hungary boo, Finland no way, France out of question, Greece: too poor to pay, Ireland: fighting with DAA, UK - murmuring, Belgium... silence right now, Poland: promising something with no further implementation, Denmark: still too expensive - and so on. They do like Norway, but the market is limited there, do expand in Portugal, but far from Lisbon. So indeed, where to base these planes?

DublinPole
29th Nov 2012, 12:31
But with Wizz Air you can avoid card fee althogether by depositing 300 eur or more to your Wizz Account (you then have to spend that in one year).

300 Euro? You are kidding? I wouldn't really call that avoiding the charge, seeing as you have to pay them 300 euro upfront, which I would not consider doing no matter who the airline is, and the majority of people who would use low cost airlines generally would balk at that.

I don't use Wizz so much these days, I used to use them quite a bit, but charging for standard size cabin luggage just to take a bag to last me long enough for a trip costs me 10 euro extra than Ryanair before you even take into account the fares. I used to use Wizz a lot more but some of the changes they've made in the last year have put me off.

Ryanair also tends to be a little cheaper for most fares, as they don't restrict them to people who have paid a membership fee like Wizz who want 30 euro for their discount club and frequently make low fares only possible to be purchased by such members and Ryanair tends to be more punctual and better in times of disruption.

RAT 5
29th Nov 2012, 13:15
It is still the case that on some comparable routes the legacy carriers can be cheaper (bottom line) than LoCo's. I'm assuming you take a hold bag and a cabin bag. If you take sports equipment, often free or cheaper with legacy carriers, it will make a huge difference. A legacy carrier might mean a few shekels more, but the value can be much greater. I wonder how many pax do a thorough search or just assume that a comparison between the available LoCo's is enough.

EI-A330-300
29th Nov 2012, 13:44
Ryanair Cuts Madrid By 35% Barcelona By 23% In Response To? (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-cuts-madrid-by-35-percent-and-barcelona-by-23-percent-in-response-to-aena-s-unjustified-price-increases-at-spanish-airports)

DublinPole
29th Nov 2012, 13:46
I only check in a bag if I'm going to be away for 6-7 days or longer, if it's 5 days or less I will just take a cabin bag. This is not possible with Wizz anymore as I have to pay 10 euro to get any decent size of cabin bag on there, hence why I tend to use Ryanair more these days. I never take sports equipment and therefore legacy carriers are normally a good amount more expensive to me.

I'd say in my last 20 flights I've taken, they tend to average around 35-45 euro including all charges, some a bit more, some a bit less with the legacy carriers normally double that, my kind of flight usage means that Low cost airlines, in particularly Ryanair, always work out cheaper as I normally book the magic 4-6 weeks ahead when the lowest fares are available.

I used to use Aer Lingus when I went to Warsaw, which cost me just under 85 euro at the very cheapest including the handling fee, which was simply due to the fact that until July this year they had no competition. Thanks to Ryanair now flying to Modlin, it's possible to get flights with EI from around 60 euro. However I've paid for 4 flights with Ryanair since then and the most expensive has been 38 euro and have a range of different times, rather than the same time 7 days a week.

Jack1985
29th Nov 2012, 16:08
Third new Ryanair route for Stansted already. Looking good for 2013 so far and hopefully many more new ones to come. I think if I remember correctly, there were 11 new ones for 2012 and only 3 were axed at Stansted.

Indeed, don't forget Lublin and Maastricht however which commence in December.

Is this due to an increase in capacity (either through a increase in STN / OPO based aircraft or via aircraft based elsewhere) or is it simply because other underperforming routes served by STN based aircraft have been culled / reduced instead ?

Went to Strasbourg (by train) several years ago - lovely place in the summer.

Last summer three B738's sat idle until Midday at Stansted so there is scope for new routes or increases to existing ones. Considering they had 41 based aircraft at Stansted last summer there's room for increasing the utilization of aircraft there.

Strasbourg
London Stansted - Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun
Porto - Tues, Thurs, Sat

FRatSTN
29th Nov 2012, 16:11
Regarding the Madrid and Barcelona cuts, remember that East Midlands, Liverpool and Manchester are all expanding next year where East Midlands and Manchester will certainly get an extra aircraft, not so sure about Liverpool so there's two. Budapest has some aircraft lost as well so there's even more "freed aircraft" but they may add a few more here and there in due course and would certainly expect another base or two (or three) by the time we get to April.

Talking about the UK airports. What is going to happen with the East Midlands and Leeds/Bradford routes to Barcelona? They have already been suspended for the winter however the list of route cancelations on the Ryanair website is listing routes that were axed during the winter season as well as those that will go at the end of March (eg. Gatwick-Madrid is listed as a summer route loss however it stopped flying a few months ago). Therefore I would guess that the numbers they are saying for routes losses etc. are compared to the summer 2012, not the winter 2012/2013 season we are now in. If that is the case, because East Midlands and Leeds are now not showing in that list, does that mean we can expect them to continue flying from March onwards?

jferreira20
30th Nov 2012, 09:44
New destination:

Clermont-Ferrand. Two weekly flights both to Porto and Charleroi.

Source: Ryanair lança rota Porto – Clermont-Ferrand em abril 2013 | Low Cost Portugal (http://www.lowcostportugal.net/viajar/aeroportos/ryanair-lanca-rota-porto-clermont-ferrand-em-abril-2013/2012/11/#axzz2DhXnlZ3C)

Jorik
30th Nov 2012, 12:41
Another new French destination:

Maastricht - Brive-la-Gaillarde (from April 2013): Twice weekly, Wednesday and Sunday

Already on the routemap and bookings are open.

eu01
30th Nov 2012, 16:36
In a way impressive, a very... courageous solution. But how many pax will find a reason to travel from Maastricht to Brive-la-Gaillarde eagerly enough to make this twice weekly connection viable?

AMS flyer
30th Nov 2012, 17:25
Ryanair Cuts Madrid By 35% Barcelona By 23%

Ryanair terminated MAD-EIN already in May of this year, so old news in this Press Release. In fact, Transavia is going to continue this route as of February next year (4 times per week).

Charlie Roy
1st Dec 2012, 10:57
I wonder where they'll base the 5 aircraft?

Someone on a Belgian forum "on the inside" believes some of those aircraft are on their way to Charleroi:
Luchtzak Aviation • View topic - Ryanair in 2012 (http://www.luchtzak.be/forums/viewtopic.php?p=272282#p272282)

gossipboy
1st Dec 2012, 12:45
As per rumors inside the company (to be honest are several years of rumors...) it seems that TSF will became a base from spring.
Anyone has confirmation/updates?

Jamie2k9
3rd Dec 2012, 13:33
Rumour that expansion from EDI will be announced tomorrow and some news for PIK to.

ericlday
3rd Dec 2012, 13:45
Believe 'expanction' should be 'expansion'

EZYPZY
3rd Dec 2012, 14:23
It wasn't that long ago that MO'L was bitching about increased charges in EDI was it? What are the odds that any expansion at EDI is to step on EZY's toes?

peppo_8787
3rd Dec 2012, 14:44
I'm hoping for a link EDI-PMO: S

FRatSTN
3rd Dec 2012, 16:07
It wasn't that long ago that MO'L was bitching about increased charges in EDI was it? What are the odds that any expansion at EDI is to step on EZY's toes?

Remember that Edinburgh is under new ownership now. Ryanair and BAA (old Edinburgh owners) have a hateful relationship so even if the new owners haven't done that much since the sale (I don't really know much about what's changed really) then the change of ownership itself is a huge leap forward from Ryanair's point of view. I'm not surprised by this really, I think Edinburgh is going to get some Ryanair growth, and EasyJet may well have contributed to their decision.

I doubt it will be good news for Prestwick on the other hand. I'd love it if they were to get growth but is there not an overlap in the catchment areas? A lot of Ryanair routes in recent years have shifted from Prestwick to Edinburgh, is this just the next round of this or is there or are Ryanair really going to make a go of it and increase them both. They are expanding at East Midlands, Liverpool and Manchester all within the same sort of area so could be the case in Scotland too!

insuindi
3rd Dec 2012, 16:17
Take-off from wrong intersection and without clearance

Incident: Ryanair B738 at Eindhoven on Oct 18th 2012, took off from wrong intersection and without clearance (http://avherald.com/h?article=459f9d27&opt=0)

ScotsSLF
3rd Dec 2012, 18:01
It will be interesting to see what transpires re FR at EDI and PIK. My guess is that both will benefit probably more EDI than PIK but any good news at PIK will be welcome at the moment. It may that there will be increased frequencies to the traditional 'bucket and spade' resorts from PIK to try and put the brakes on Jet2 / EZY at GLA whilst at EDI perhaps more European City destinations? Who knows with FR - they never cease to amaze. What I personally would like is the PIK - STN route back as EZY have quietly put their prices up at GLA with no competition and it would also give me an extra hour in bed in the morning!

FR8364
3rd Dec 2012, 18:48
Any rumours for possible new routes from EDI/PIK? Something for Spain?

Regards .-

FRatSTN
3rd Dec 2012, 19:27
I think Edinburgh will benefit more with a growth in Ryanair traffic. When Ryanair reach and agreement and expand from an airport they have recently fallen out with the growth doesn't tend to be small. Look at Manchester for instance, two years ago and barely anything and now their second largest UK base! In terms of the number of new routes, not so sure there will be that many from Edinburgh. Most will probably be bringing back what thay have axed over the last year and some frequency increases. Prestwick (providing the "news" there is good news) may benefit from more new routes (most likely bucket and spade) but I think we all know that Stansted isn't likely to make a return, at least not until APD is axed and I don't think that will be anytime soon!

scotsunflyer
4th Dec 2012, 09:30
Six new routes and increase of frequency on 5 routes from Edi
New routes: Bologna, Beziers, Cagliari, Corfu, Katowice, Santander
Increased Freq: Alicante, Faro, Malaga, Malta and Palma

Four new routes and increased frequency on 2 routes from PIK
New routes: Rzeszow, Warsaw, Wroclaw, Riga
Increaased Freq: Ibiza, Palma

Scottish Flyer
4th Dec 2012, 09:53
The announcement of new routes from Prestwick should be 2 new routes (Warsaw Modlin & Rzeszow) and frequency increases on 4 routes (Wroclaw, Palma, Ibiza & Riga). Wroclaw and Riga have been operated year round from Prestwick for several years now. Warsaw is already operating but only started with the winter schedule, so technically it is a new summer route. Rzeszow is the only genuinely new destination.

CCR
4th Dec 2012, 18:25
AirAsia chooses A320 over CSeries (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airasia-chooses-a320-over-cseries-379573/)

Is Bombardier and Ryanair not a match made in heaven?

Ryanair are looking to make another large order and Boeing are not willing to give a `2 for 1`deal they gave away a decade ago + Airbus are not willing to seriously deal with them...It would seem a deal between Ryanair and Bombardier for a high density 160 seat variant of the CS300 jet would be mutually advantageous.

The advantage for Bombardier would be that it would launch them into being a serious player in this sector of the jet market and for Ryanair, they could win another deal of the decade from a North American manufacturer.
Another benefit for Ryanair would be that it would seriously reduce pilot attrition when the pilot market picks up as there will be only a few operators of the CS300 in Europe...just a thought.

davidjohnson6
6th Dec 2012, 21:45
2 observations about the booking section of the FR website

- Captchas seem to have become quite a bit easier to solve
- Pricing policy *seems* to have changed from a "begin with high prices, change to low about 3 months before flight, and then steadily raise prices afterwards" to a policy closer to Easyjet of "start low and gradually increase as flight date approaches"

Item 1 suggests that there was a decrease in conversion of some browsers into buyers leading to the suspicion that Captcha may have just been too much hassle for some potential customers
Item 2 suggests that FR is becoming a more normal airline with regards to revenue management

Any comments ?

racedo
6th Dec 2012, 22:18
Item 1 suggests that there was a decrease in conversion of some browsers into buyers leading to the suspicion that Captcha may have just been too much hassle for some potential customers
Item 2 suggests that FR is becoming a more normal airline with regards to revenue management

Any comments ?

DJ

Don't say things like that, you know who will be along like after all results to predict doom and gloom.

Companies have to adapt all the time to remain succesful.

insuindi
6th Dec 2012, 22:20
An Irish LCC is considering legal action with the aviation herald website, for a report about a too low approach at FMM (reportedly 450 feet height 4NM from runway when landing was aborted, minimum 1000 feet). According to aero.de, quoting the German BFU (the German office for flight accident investigations), it was a visual approach to the airport.

The airline rejects the aviation herald reporting, and threatens legal action.

News: The Aviation Herald under legal threat (http://avherald.com/h?article=45a1cb11&opt=0)
aero.de - Luftfahrt-Nachrichten und -Community (http://www.aero.de/news-16410/BFU-Ryanair-B737-unterschritt-IFR-Sicherheitsmindesthoehe-.html)

barrymah
7th Dec 2012, 10:04
It looks to me like a work in progress -

Today I made various reservations and the sites seem to be different depending on where you are booking from (i.e. which base).

For example - I booked a DUB - Maastricht and the price I finally paid was the one displayed on page 1 after I had chosen the date. There was NO captcha and the cc pages were MUCH clearer, imo, than before.

OTOH, I booked MRS - BVA and BVA -DUB (as two separate transactions, of course) and was on a much 'older' site design, with a breakdown of the various bits of the fare as I went along. There was also captchas.

So, it depends??

AMS flyer
8th Dec 2012, 05:45
According to the local newspaper in Eindhoven, Ryanair will announce a new base at EIN next Tuesday!

Ryanair vestigt basis op Eindhoven Airport (http://www.ed.nl/extra/dossiers/airport/ryanair-vestigt-basis-op-eindhoven-airport-1.3549910)

EI-A330-300
10th Dec 2012, 16:28
According to the Avation Hearld Ryanair have droped all legal action.

DaveReidUK
10th Dec 2012, 16:56
So, it depends??

Probably depends on which server in the farm you first connect to.

mikkie4
10th Dec 2012, 21:36
with all the talk of ryanair buying EIR what will happen to aer lingus(regional) flights ,cant see MOL keeping them.could they become aer arren again,or stobard air as they seem to be buying lots of shares at the moment

Cyrano
11th Dec 2012, 09:20
with all the talk of ryanair buying EIR what will happen to aer lingus(regional) flights ,cant see MOL keeping them.could they become aer arren again,or stobard air as they seem to be buying lots of shares at the moment

Nothing will happen to Aer Arann as a result of Ryanair's bid, as it has been clear for some time now that the European Commission will not allow the bid to proceed.

The Commission's concern is with route competition and market power in Dublin, and Ryanair's proposed remedies of route-by-route remedies (offering different routes to different airlines) don't solve the market power issue.

The only remedy Ryanair could offer which would satisfy the Commission would be to offer slots for most or all of the DUB duopoly routes to a single carrier which would then have a big enough network out of DUB to compete effectively with Ryanair. Realistically, that'd be someone like easyJet. Unless FR is prepared to do that (!), they won't get approval.

boyzinblue
11th Dec 2012, 09:36
MOL in Hahn this morning.He announced 3 new routes to Corfu, Rijeka und Tangiers and increased frequencies to Fez, Girona, Kerry, Pescara, Marrakesch und Trapani.

Jorik
11th Dec 2012, 12:18
MOL just arrived here in Eindhoven :)

insuindi
11th Dec 2012, 12:35
New routes from NRN announced today for summer 2013:
Oslo Rygge: 3/7
Oujda, Rijeka, Tanger, Bergerac: all 2/7
Paphos: 1/7

A/C number will increase from 8 to 9.

Jorik
11th Dec 2012, 12:38
New at Eindhoven 1 737-800 based.

New Chania, Bordeaux, agadir and fez

FRatSTN
11th Dec 2012, 13:17
Ryanair also is tweaking their summer 2013 schedule now. Before all routes and frequencies were identical to summer 2012 but now it is being corrected so any earlier announcements for new routes and frequency increases are starting to appear. This post below that I made a couple of months ago will be of some use now. Have already found for instance that London Stansted to Patras/Araxos isn't planning to be resumed for 2013 but looks like Kos and Rhodes will do. If you can make sense of it, have a look around.

Very strangely Ryanair's booking system seems to have some sort of glitch which I've found to indicate what routes may or may not operate in the next schedule season before anything goes on sale. If you select a flight route inthe next and currently unavailable schedule season (in this case "summer 2013") it will obviously show no available flights. Despite knowing this, try it anyway and make sure you select the return date to be exactly 1 week after the departure date but with flexible travel dates (just to make what I'm about to say easier to see).

If the selected departure date (highlighted in yellow) is not centralised so is basically not showing 3 alternative dates to either side but instead 6 alternative dates after and isn't actually the specific date you selected but instead 3 days before coming back, but the return flight is centralised (with 3 alternative dates toeither side of the selected date) then this simply means there is no flights available. Don't ask me why its like that, I have no idea, but it is.

If however BOTH the departure and return flights ARE centralised (with both showing 3 alternative dates either side of the selected date) and the departure date IS now the exact date you selected then this seems to indicate that Ryanair are planning to operate this route at least once at some point within that time.

For some routes, it can change and isn't 100% accurate but is correct the vast majority of the time and becomes more accurate the closer you get to flights being released for booking, however as we know it can still change after this point, especially with Ryanair as they are well known for cancelling routes or starting new ones at short notice! Of course you can't see what new routes are being planned since you cannot yet select them in the booking system.

People will probably think I'm just talking complete rubbish however I noticed it several years ago and have become certain that it is to do with what Ryanair are planning to operate and what not to, and I'd say that "planning" is the operative word there!

eu01
11th Dec 2012, 17:08
Belgium
Michael Cawley has confirmed Ryanair's commitment to their base in Charleroi. The existing rumors of a possible move of FR operations to Zaventem airport (at least in case of Brussels Airlines' disappearance) were denied.

Sweden
New airport in FR network tba soon: Kalmar. First route will commence in April, joining KLR with Spain (BCN or GRO).

Poland
Three airports are expected to announce new routes tomorrow: Modlin, Wroclaw and Krakow. Krakow will almost certainly become a new FR base, with 1 aircraft initially.

ub2
11th Dec 2012, 17:17
looking at the timetable for 2013 at brs, it appears a lot of destinations are being done with outer base aircraft & only 2 based aircraft will be needed out of the 5 based at present, so it appears its either a culling of 3 units at bristol or making way for some major new route expansion. anyone with info on which it is

Jamie2k9
11th Dec 2012, 18:41
Poland
Three airports are expected to announce new routes tomorrow: Modlin, Wroclaw and Krakow. Krakow will almost certainly become a new FR base, with 1 aircraft initially.

KRK will be a base.

Skipness One Echo
11th Dec 2012, 19:30
Hey all, can anyone confirm for me :

1) The Ryanair B737-800s have always been in single class Y189 configuration?
2) Also, a virtual (one only!) Mars Bar for the first person to identify the initial aircraft delivery with the now standard garish interior. Up to a certain point, they were "standard" type cloth seats with seat back pockets.

CCFAIRPORT
11th Dec 2012, 19:39
Do you when KRK will be a new base ?

FRatSTN
11th Dec 2012, 20:28
I have also looked at the Bristol base. Does seem odd although only 2 aircraft for the winter now and some slashing of the Dublin route. Generally now twice daily instead of three.

Perhaps because they have grown at EMA, EDI, PIK, LPL and MAN for 2013, they don't want to grow the UK market and increase jobs too much as they are still fighting APD and delivering substancial growth whilst saying how damaging it is doesn't look too good. So maybe they are just shifting some aircraft about so the UK doesn't really get any brand new aircraft as a whole yet Bristol can still be served without being hit too hard by cuts by losing 3 aircraft as it flies to mainly other base airports.

I have the weekly timetable as it stands at the moment. If it does stay like this then there is going to be very little Ryanair traffic during the day with very busy evenings. We are still waiting for Budapest and Warsaw Modlin.

MONDAY
FR504 07:40 Dublin
FR8682 08:45 Kaunas
FR8249 09:15 Faro
FR8275 11:30 Lodz
FR4756 11:35 Lanzarote
FR8225 12:25 Rzeszow
FR9335 16:25 Barcelona-Girona
FR3775 18:05 Malta
FR6023 17:45 Beziers
FR8122 19:40 Malaga
FR8245 19:50 Palma de Mallorca
FR8297 20:00 Alicante
FR508 21:10 Dublin
FR8243 23:10 Venice-Treviso
FR8265 23:45 Ibiza

FR8224 06:20 Rzeszow
FR8274 06:30 Lodz
FR505 08:05 Dublin
FR8681 09:10 Kaunas
FR8248 09:40 Faro
FR9336 11:55 Barcelona-Girona
FR4755 12:00 Lanzarote
FR6022 13:20 Beziers
FR8242 18:10 Venice-Treviso
FR8264 18:10 Ibiza
FR3774 18:30 Malta
FR8121 20:05 Malaga
FR8244 20:15 Palma de Mallorca
FR8296 20:25 Alicante
FR509 21:35 Dublin

TUESDAY
FR9335 08:45 Barcelona-Girona
FR4758 10:55 Gran Canaria
FR8337 11:15 Barcelona-Reus
FR8259 12:05 Katowice
FR6027 15:15 Bergerac
FR8249 17:40 Faro
FR3886 17:40 Limoges
FR8263 19:40 Milan-Bergamo
FR508 22:25 Dublin

FR8258 06:30 Katowice
FR8336 06:30 Barcelona-Reus
FR9336 09:10 Barcelona-Girona
FR4757 11:20 Gran Canaria
FR6026 11:40 Bergerac
FR3885 14:15 Limoges
FR8248 18:05 Faro
FR8262 20:05 Milan-Bergamo
FR509 22:50 Dublin

WEDNESDAY
FR8297 08:45 Alicante
FR8249 09:30 Faro
FR4754 11:10 Tenerife-South
FR8265 12:05 Ibiza
FR4756 14:55 Lanzarote
FR9335 17:45 Barcelona-Girona
FR3775 18:15 Malta
FR6023 18:20 Beziers
FR8203 18:20 Knock
FR508 21:40 Dublin
FR8213 23:55 Wroclaw

FR4755 06:15 Lanzarote
FR8264 06:30 Ibiza
FR8296 09:10 Alicante
FR8248 09:55 Faro
FR4753 11:35 Tenerife-South
FR6022 13:55 Beziers
FR8202 15:45 Knock
FR9336 18:10 Barcelona-Girona
FR3774 18:40 Malta
FR8212 18:45 Wroclaw
FR509 22:05 Dublin

THURSDAY
FR8247 09:00 Valencia
FR6027 10:05 Bergerac
FR4758 11:50 Gran Canaria
FR8255 11:55 Gdansk
FR9335 17:40 Barcelona-Girona
FR8263 18:00 Milan-Bergamo
FR4754 18:15 Tenerife-South
FR8249 19:40 Faro
FR508 20:15 Dublin
FR8217 23:15 Poznan
FR8233 23:40 Bratislava

FR6026 06:30 Bergerac
FR8254 06:30 Gdansk
FR8246 09:25 Valencia
FR4757 12:15 Gran Canaria
FR9336 13:10 Barcelona-Girona
FR8216 18:05 Poznan
FR8232 18:10 Bratislava
FR8262 18:25 Milan-Bergamo
FR4753 18:40 Tenerife-South
FR8248 20:05 Faro
FR509 20:40 Dublin

FRIDAY
FR8682 08:45 Kaunas
FR3775 09:15 Malta
FR8275 11:15 Lodz
FR8265 11:50 Ibiza
FR4756 11:55 Lanzarote
FR506 13:30 Dublin
FR8203 14:50 Knock
FR6023 16:05 Beziers
FR9335 20:35 Barcelona-Girona
FR508 20:40 Dublin
FR8225 22:10 Rzeszow
FR8243 23:10 Venice-Treviso

FR8264 06:15 Ibiza
FR8274 06:15 Lodz
FR8681 09:10 Kaunas
FR3774 09:40 Malta
FR6022 11:40 Beziers
FR8202 12:15 Knock
FR4755 12:20 Lanzarote
FR507 13:55 Dublin
FR8224 16:05 Rzeszow
FR8242 18:10 Venice-Treviso
FR9336 21:00 Barcelona-Girona
FR509 21:05 Dublin

SATURDAY
FR9335 08:40 Barcelona-Girona
FR8263 08:45 Milan-Bergamo
FR3886 09:55 Limoges
FR4758 10:55 Gran Canaria
FR8259 16:00 Katowice
FR6027 17:40 Bergerac
FR8245 19:35 Palma de Mallorca
FR8249 19:40 Faro
FR8213 19:50 Wroclaw
FR9129 20:15 Barcelona-Girona
FR508 20:40 Dublin
FR8337 22:50 Barcelona-Reus

FR3885 06:30 Limoges
FR9336 09:05 Barcelona-Girona
FR8262 09:10 Milan-Bergamo
FR8258 10:20 Katowice
FR4757 11:20 Gran Canaria
FR6026 14:05 Bergerac
FR8336 18:05 Barcelona-Reus
FR8244 20:00 Palma de Mallorca
FR8248 20:05 Faro
FR8212 20:15 Wroclaw
FR9128 20:40 Barcelona-Girona
FR509 21:05 Dublin

SUNDAY
FR506 09:25 Dublin
FR8249 09:35 Faro
FR504 10:45 Dublin
FR4754 10:45 Tenerife-South
FR8217 11:35 Poznan
FR8255 11:55 Gdansk
FR8203 14:55 Knock
FR6023 16:25 Beziers
FR8247 18:25 Valencia
FR9335 19:55 Barcelona-Girona
FR508 21:10 Dublin
FR8233 23:40 Bratislava

FR8216 06:25 Poznan
FR8254 06:30 Gdansk
FR507 09:50 Dublin
FR8248 10:00 Faro
FR505 11:10 Dublin
FR4753 11:10 Tenerife-South
FR6022 12:00 Beziers
FR8202 12:20 Knock
FR8232 18:10 Bratislava
FR8246 18:50 Valencia
FR9336 20:20 Barcelona-Girona
FR509 21:35 Dublin

GayFriendly
12th Dec 2012, 09:59
Budapest - Not sure I would hold out for this as FR had their usual landing fees spat with BUD, quite a few routes were dropped as a result

Warsaw Modlin - Announcements today about routes from there plus Krakow and Wroclaw all of which could include routes to BRS

FR do seem to have their favoured airports in UK for expansion, which seem to be EDI, MAN, EMA and LPL. My local FR base at BHX has stagnated with 4 summer based a/c and around 20 routes for the past few years with no signs of any significant expansion in terms of a/c or routes on the cards. Will be interesting to see what happens at BRS, perhaps there are a load of new FR routes to be announced?

DublinPole
12th Dec 2012, 10:13
Krakow new base confirmed. Two aircraft, four new routes and increases in capacity on another three routes starting late March 2013. Several existing routes will switch to Krakow based aircraft in addition.

Considering the terminal is bursting at the seams most of the day apart from the early morning in the summer, this will give Ryanair chance to run extra routes which would not have been possible without based aircraft.

New Routes:
Gothenburg City
Dortmund
Manchester (previously announced)
Kos

Capacity increases:
Rome-Ciampino
Oslo-Rygge,
East Midlands

FRatSTN
12th Dec 2012, 11:09
Not surprised about the capacity increase to East Midlands. They already announced 17 routes with frequency increases at East Midlands on Halloween and was fairly certain Krakow would be one of them. Currently only flies 2 a week when Lodz is 3 and Wroclaw 4 so welcomed albeit expected news for us

DublinPole
12th Dec 2012, 11:20
Three New Swedish airports.

Angelholm:
· 1 new route – Alicante
· 4 weekly flights

Jonkoping:
· 1 new route – Barcelona-Girona
· 4 weekly flights

Kalmar:
· 1 new route – Barcelona-Girona
· 4 weekly flights

DublinPole
12th Dec 2012, 12:04
Further new routes:
Warsaw-Modlin - Bari
Warsaw-Modlin - Pisa
Warsaw-Modlin - Trapani
Warsaw-Modlin - Marseille
Warsaw-Modlin - Palma de Mallorca

FRatSTN
12th Dec 2012, 12:09
Any idea about Wroclaw? Second aircraft maybe?

DublinPole
12th Dec 2012, 12:10
Wroclaw press conference is at 16:00 local time, 15:00 UK and Ireland.

peppo_8787
12th Dec 2012, 12:13
T_T I was hoping something from Palermo .. We'll see Wroclaw!

DublinPole
12th Dec 2012, 12:20
Also confirmed that the following two routes will resume from January rather than from the start of the summer season

Edinburgh - Lodz
Edinburgh - Poznan

ub2
12th Dec 2012, 13:51
heard today that bristol will only have 2 based aircraft from the end of march, down from 5 at present, although only 2 are used & rotated during the winter, the good news is that none of the summer routes are being axed just done from other bases

FRatSTN
12th Dec 2012, 13:52
I don't think I've ever seen so many expansion announcements across just 2 days before! Since yesturday we've had new bases at Eindhoven and Krakow, growth at Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Warsaw and Wroclaw and 3 new Swedish airports.

Last week we had the Scotland growth announcement. Prior to this, we had a couple of new airports, mainly within Germany and they have announced that they will also have big expansions at East Midlands and Manchester as well as Liverpool.

I know that Budapest, Barcelona and Madrid will get considerable cuts, but the expansion is still by far the largest I've seen in such a short time period.

FRatSTN
12th Dec 2012, 13:57
heard today that bristol will only have 2 based aircraft from the end of march, down from 5 at present, although only 2 are used & rotated during the winter, the good news is that none of the summer routes are being axed just done from other bases

Do you have confirmation of that? It seems to be the case now but we aren't really sure whether they will later change the schedule (as they often do) to utilise the usual five aircraft. It does seem strange only having two because what will happen to the Bristol based crew? Probabaly quite a few relocation of jobs to other UK airports I would imagine.

boyzinblue
12th Dec 2012, 13:58
The only new airport they announced in Germany was Nuremberg.

ub2
12th Dec 2012, 14:22
thats what i was told today

j636
12th Dec 2012, 14:23
Do you have confirmation of that? It seems to be the case now but we aren't really sure whether they will later change the schedule (as they often do) to utilise the usual five aircraft. It does seem strange only having two because what will happen to the Bristol based crew? Probabaly quite a few relocation of jobs to other UK airports I would imagine.

FR do lots of schedule changing but they are not going to make such a mess of BRS schedule by mistaking it for 2 instead of 5 based. Not cuts is the main thing.

DublinPole
12th Dec 2012, 14:33
Overview of Poland Expansion

KRAKOW
- 2 aircraft based (New Base)
- 4 new routes (Gothenburg, Dortmund, Manchester, Kos)
- 3 routes with enhanced capacity (Rome Ciampino, Oslo-Rygge, East Midlands)
- Number of flights incl DUB to switch to KRK based crew

WARSAW MODLIN
- 5 new routes (Bari, Pisa, Trapani, Marseille, Palma de Mallorca )
- 2 routes with capacity increases (Rome-Ciampino, Oslo Rygge)

WROCLAW
- 1 extra based aircraft (2 in total)
- 1 new route (Zadar)
- 3 routes with enhanced capacity (Stansted, East Midlands, Glasgow)
- Small number of flights to switch to WRO based crew

LODZ
- Edinburgh to return early in January.

POZNAN
- Edinburgh to return early in January

frfly
12th Dec 2012, 14:54
While it looks on the surface like "major" expansion - its a lot of smoke and mirrors to build up PR for these bases. 1 based A/C with 1 new route just says to me its a lot of "asset moving" from base to base rather than major expansion. Its the same in EDI where it looks to only be 6 based (same as last year, down on 2 years ago) and PIK...as well as EMA.

With 8 A/C deliveries left there is no real expansion left, just moving assets from base to base...

Major expansion will come with the next A/C order.

FRatSTN
12th Dec 2012, 15:16
The only new airport they announced in Germany was Nuremberg.

And Dortmund

DublinPole
12th Dec 2012, 15:31
It's hard to see how Krakow can be expanded much more by FR until the new terminal which should be ready in 2015 is built. Ryanair are believed to want to expand more but they need the infrastructure to be able to do it.

The existing terminal was designed for 2.8m passengers at the most and last year it handled 3.01m and was very crowded in peak times. This year it's on course for over 3.4m passengers and was pure chaos in the summer at any time other than the early mornings.

The trouble is none of these problems can really be resolved until the new terminal is built
- Only 1 large baggage belt and 1 small one
- Only 4 security channels (Can take around an hour at peak time)
- Only 4 passport control kiosks (3 flights come in at once = 45 min wait)
- Only room to accommodate 8 aircraft at any one time
- Outdoor tents erected to house passengers as when 7-8 gates are in use, there is physically not enough room for passengers to wait in the terminal.

Therefore the only real way of getting extra flights into this terminal is simply by basing aircraft there, which allows you to launch flights from around 6-8am, when the airport is still quiet apart from domestic traffic, rest of the day, it's mayhem, and it's only going to get worse.

CVTDog
12th Dec 2012, 16:24
Had a e.mail from Ryanair this afternoon advising me of a significant change to one of my summer 2013 return flights to Birmingham.

They have changed the 22:00 Sat evening flight which made for a relaxing last day to 07:15.

Needless to say I have cancelled.

Have they had a change of heart and are going to base their aircraft at Alicante again next summer for such a early start

peter we
12th Dec 2012, 18:33
The trouble is none of these problems can really be resolved until the new terminal is built

Maybe I'm lucky, I regularly fly to Krakow and never see much in the way of queues. But, the fog was a problem.

boyzinblue
12th Dec 2012, 18:36
Operations from Dortmund (starting in March 2013) were announced on the 10th of October. Interesting to see them FR closing some routes to and from Germany because of the aviation tax and on the other hand announce new routes to and from Germany.

Any news if FR will return to Magdeburg-Cochstedt? Route map still shows PMI but no bookings are possible. They announced 2 weeks ago 2 new routes from Leipzig and a statement on Magdeburg would follow soon, but nothing has happened.

DublinPole
12th Dec 2012, 18:42
There is not really so much of a problem in the winter, as almost a dozen routes at the airport are seasonal, whilst others have lower frequency in the winter.

But during the height of the summer from late morning to the evening it is always terribly busy, which led to temporary tents being errected to house passengers, there was even a huge waning message up on the Krakow website for most of the summer saying to allow much extra time for security as it could take at least an hour to clear.

I remember seeing about 18 flights go out between 8am and 10.30am one day when I was there and 10 were due to leave in the space of an hour. all it took was two of the earliest of those ten to be delayed and it was meltdown and a backlog of planes waiting for gates and way more passengers airside than the terminal could accommodate.

This of course then led to a few flights arriving at once which meant baggage was swamped with only the larger belt in use or about 5-6 flights that just arrived and long delays at passport control. There are some flights however that do arrive in quieter periods but for a lot of the day it's not uncommon for about 5-6 flights to start boarding at roughly the same time, and the same number to land at the same time and that is where the problem starts.

Unfortunately for years the airport has been growing at a rapid rate and the authorities in Poland have not wanted to invest in the airport despite the fact for some time it's been obvious that an expansion is needed. The area has huge potential for growth but its been suffocated by the terminal that is now far too small for it's needs. Ideally they need to increase the number of baggage belts to four, double the number of gates, increase the security channels and passport control officers as this is where the bottlenecks are.

Only now are the tenders going out for it to be built. and it was believed years ago that the terminal would be doubled in size already by now, but for various reasons, it was postponed many times and now they believe that 2015 is a more realistic date, which is a shame because the airports not going to be able to do much natural growth in that time. There is now also the fear that if LOT are given a 1.5bn zl bailout from the Polish government that they are looking for, this may impact other airports such as Krakow and Modlin, which it looks like will need an expansion in the next few years also.

Transportraition
12th Dec 2012, 18:48
To ' frfly ' - there are only three more aircraft to be delivered - EI-EVW, -EVX and -EVY.

Transportraition
13th Dec 2012, 07:06
.............and an update to the above - EVX departed Boeing Field at 0622Z en route to Dublin.

FRatSTN
13th Dec 2012, 08:03
Have they had a change of heart and are going to base their aircraft at Alicante again next summer for such a early start

Ryanair are actually cutting back in Spain so maybe they are minimising the number of aircraft visiting from other bases and instead now focusing on mainly using the aircraft that are based in Spain and cutting back a bit that way rather than pulling out further aircraft from the country.

pee
13th Dec 2012, 09:39
From yle.fi (http://yle.fi/uutiset/ryanair_dropping_tampere_flights/6413868):
The no-frills airline is scrapping its service between Tampere, Edinburgh, Rome and Trapani while it’s reducing the number of flights to the city from Bremen and Budapest in a row over airport taxes.

The company said in a statement that it was transferring passengers and jobs out of Tampere and into another European low-cost airport where travellers aren't as heavily taxed.

Last month Ryanair said it was closing down its Turku routes due to airport fees. The company maintains it will keep services to both Turku and Tampere should aviation officials decide to reverse charges.
Having read the newest comments in the press and on internet it seems that by doing so Ryanair is loosing friends in our country. As a result of the latest decisions Finland looks more and more like a deserted area on the European map of lo-co connections. Good for Finnair, good for SAS, but a bit weird from the FR point of view. Generally the flight tickets from Tampere were always significantly dearer than from many other destinations and LF excellent on most of the routes. Comes to mind sawing off the tree branch while sitting on it. But true, FR is sitting on many branches, so they can afford it. Adieu, Ryanair!

CCFAIRPORT
13th Dec 2012, 09:51
2 NEW ROUTES FROM CAGLIARI

Kaunas
Oslo/Rygge

Nuove Rotte Ryanair da Cagliari : Oslo e Kaunas e cancellata la Cagliari – Siviglia. | Sardegna In Volo (http://www.sardegnainvolo.com/nuove-rotte-ryanair-da-cagliari-oslo-e-kaunas/)

MARKEYD
13th Dec 2012, 11:09
Any idea if Bournemouth will get any extra flights to Poland next summer the new flight to Wroclaw did very well with roughly mid 85 % load factors and the Spanish routes as always performed very well

Notice that at the moment though its exactly the same schedule and flight times as last summer but with no flights on sale to Rhodes

darren1
13th Dec 2012, 15:19
Looking at the times of the new WRO-ZAD route the flight originates in Zadar and arrives back at 2300. With this late arrival is this the sign of a summer base?

pee
14th Dec 2012, 06:00
Racedo, you mentioned Louise Phelan, didn't mention Julie O’Neill. I don't know much about either, but irishtimes.com (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1214/1224327834878.html) has noticed an interesting U-turn in the Ryanair management's attitudes.
The record of the Department of Transport in this country is one of mismanagement, incompetence, monopoly protectionism and damaging the consumer interest at every hand’s turn.

“The sooner this nest of incompetence and ineptitude is shut down the better.

“Alternatively, we should rename it DUMP (the Department for Useless Monopoly Protection).”

So said Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary at the Kenmare economic conference in October 2007.

Exactly one year later, his then colleague Jim Callaghan had this to say about the department and its use of consultants.

“The Department of Transport is now a by-word for incompetence and inefficiency,” he said.
/...

Who was secretary general of the department during both those years?

Julie O’Neill. The same Julie O’Neill who was appointed as a non-executive director of Ryanair yesterday.
/...

Bonderman was “delighted” that O’Neill and Louise Phelan of PayPal were joining the board of the airline.

“They bring significant skills, career success and experience to the board,” he added, without a hint of irony.

It’s a classic U-turn, even by Ryanair’s standards.

elgranma
14th Dec 2012, 08:01
same for Skavsta: NYO-ZAD on wednesday ends at 23.

CCFAIRPORT
14th Dec 2012, 11:16
2 NEW ROUTES FROM CRL AND A NEW ONE FR DESTINATION

Rijeka and Zakinthos

viscount702
14th Dec 2012, 13:07
Now looking as though MAN will have 6 based aircraft in summer 2013 based on current timetable

pee
14th Dec 2012, 13:47
As already mentioned on this forum, Ryanair has officially proposed to operate the scheduled flights from Dublin to St. Petersburg. If you need proof, you can get it here (http://www.favt.ru/favt_new/sites/default/files/15-4-902.pdf).

Jamie2k9
15th Dec 2012, 21:34
Routes from Turin to Madrid, Girona and Paris to be drooped in March over a row.

Zadar would appear a base on the cards, most routes now show as operated from Zadar.

In Regard to Dublin-Russia service. Saw on another site that www.ryanair.ru (http://www.ryanair.ru) "under construction"

Also rumours of a base in Crete to be announced on Wednesday.

Seljuk22
16th Dec 2012, 11:14
I know it's a bit early but anyone knows how many a/c will be based at each base next summer?

Looking at the FR route map I spotted Reus is no longer marked as a base.

racedo
16th Dec 2012, 12:18
Racedo, you mentioned Louise Phelan, didn't mention Julie O’Neill.

One is a ex bureaucrat and one is a senior person in worldwide payments company.

Ignored the paper pusher and looked at Paypal person.

Of course Gamekeeper turned poacher is not a new phenomenon for ex Govt payroll people.

Charlie Roy
17th Dec 2012, 19:17
New routes:

Malta - Milan Bergamo
Malta - Gothenburg City
Malta - Liverpool (year round)
Stansted - Kefalonia
Malaga - Knock

Chania to be announced as a base on Wednesday.

flyOU
18th Dec 2012, 04:53
today press conference at Zadar Airport. New base and 5-6 new routes f ZAD

Transportraition
18th Dec 2012, 05:19
Final delivery flight - B737-800 EI-EVY departed Boeing Field at 0510Z this morning and should arrive in Dublin around 1400Z. We await more orders.

darren1
18th Dec 2012, 07:46
Intetesting news about ZAD. Good for summer holidays, not sure about winter?

FRatSTN
18th Dec 2012, 08:55
Probably a seasonal base like Bournemouth??

Does anybody know the new routes? I'm hoping to see East Midlands being one as it did operate for a time last summer and have already announced Liverpool as a new UK route so I would imagine that they were pleased with the performance of it as they wouldn't add another regional UK airport (unless they've transferred it of course:uhoh:)

flyOU
18th Dec 2012, 08:59
The rumored to be only a summer base.

FRatSTN
18th Dec 2012, 09:14
I take it that the new base expected to be announced in Crete tommorrow will also be seasonal?

flyOU
18th Dec 2012, 09:17
Does anybody know the new routes

the announcement will be betw 12 and 12:30, soon :)

darren1
18th Dec 2012, 09:57
Nothing really exciting about ZAD, new routes to Gothenburg, Haugesund, Beauvais, Dublin and East Midlands.

FRatSTN
18th Dec 2012, 10:31
Not really nothing exciting. All sort of expected choices really except Haugesund I would say. It may not seem much to us but I dare say a base and 5 new routes to Zadar is very welcomed over there.

peppo_8787
18th Dec 2012, 10:40
New routes from Trapani

-Bratislava (is back)
-Gothenburg (is back)
-Kaunas
-Hamburg-Lübeck
-Manchester (already announced)
-Rzeszow
-Warsaw (already announced)

frfly
18th Dec 2012, 10:54
Any news on PFO and LCA?

DublinPole
18th Dec 2012, 11:27
New Katowice routes
Barcelona Girona - twice per week
Alicante - once per week
Chania - once per week
Edinburgh - twice per week

insuindi
18th Dec 2012, 14:29
In the German news:

Ryanair is being investigated in Germany for understating the weight of their plans by around 8t, saving a decent sum of fees this way, over many years. Estimations are that Ryanair may be liable for up to 50m Euros (EU airspace, not only for Germany). Ryanair is reported to have declined comment so far.

DublinPole
18th Dec 2012, 14:35
FR aircraft in Belfast today following Derry being closed due to fog. Operating flights from there too.

Tom!
18th Dec 2012, 16:34
In the German news:

Ryanair is being investigated in Germany for understating the weight of their plans by around 8t, saving a decent sum of fees this way, over many years. Estimations are that Ryanair may be liable for up to 50m Euros (EU airspace, not only for Germany). Ryanair is reported to have declined comment so far.

Ryanair operates a variable MTOW program like many airlines do. The link below is only applicable to UK CAA operations but the IAA has something similar all under EU-OPS. Ryanair operate on 66,9-69,9 or 74,9T MTOW. Has to be changed by an engineer and then signed and stamped in the techlog
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FOD200920.pdf

Perfectly legal, nothing to see, move along :8

TBSC
18th Dec 2012, 19:31
Cargo Forwarder (http://www.cargoforwarder.eu/article.php?id=204)

DublinPole
18th Dec 2012, 22:16
A number of extra flights to/from Modlin have been scheduled over the next few days to accommodate those who have been effected by the weather over the past few days as there was not enough free space on existing flights to get everyone on a flight before Christmas.

Amongst others, it means in the morning from Dub there will be two flights to Modlin leaving within 10 minutes of each other.

Jamie2k9
19th Dec 2012, 02:10
A number of extra flights to/from Modlin have been scheduled over the next few days to accommodate those who have been effected by the weather over the past few days as there was not enough free space on existing flights to get everyone on a flight before Christmas.

Amongst others, it means in the morning from Dub there will be two flights to Modlin leaving within 10 minutes of each other.

THe extra DUB ones were planned weeks before any issues with weather, just usual extra Christmas flights by FR just happens they are so close together with the way the shcedule worked out.

pee
19th Dec 2012, 08:02
Not a very consistent logic behind Ryanair's public statements, but never mind. Just a few days ago PR threats to abandon Finland almost entirely, yet today two new routes announced. GRO-TMP and GRO-LPP, both twice weekly. Good choice, if you ask me. Sins forgiven for now.

DublinPole
19th Dec 2012, 08:05
I know there was extra dub flights later in the week, but I understood that some flights today and tomorrow were only added in the last few days.

boyzinblue
19th Dec 2012, 09:06
New routes from Bremen:ChaniaThessalonikiReusRomNew routes from LübeckTrapaniGironaPortoFlights to Girona and Palma will also resume from Magdeburg.

DublinPole
19th Dec 2012, 09:53
New Routes:
Warsaw Modlin to Chania
Rzeszów to Trapani (already announced)

Jorik
19th Dec 2012, 10:08
More NEW routes from GRO:

-Groningen
-Oslo (Torp or Rygge)
-Paphos
-Trieste
-Tampere
-Lappenranta

CCFAIRPORT
19th Dec 2012, 10:20
Do you know the new routes from the new Chania Base ?

Katowice
Warszawa/Modlin

Kinder
19th Dec 2012, 10:52
Chania - Vilnius 1x weekly, eff. May1

Jorik
19th Dec 2012, 11:37
Ryanair Announces New Chania (Greece) Base (No 55)

11 NEW ROUTES (26 IN TOTAL) & 500,000 PAX P.A. AT RYANAIR’S 1st GREEK BASE

Ryanair, Europe’s only ultra-low cost airline, today (19 Dec) announced it would open its 1st Greek base (55th base in total) at Chania in April 2013 with one based aircraft and unveiled 11 new routes (26 in total), to/from Billund, Bremen, Bristol, Eindhoven, Katowice, Marseille, Memmingen, Thessaloniki, Venice, Vilnius and Warsaw, as Ryanair invests over $70m at Chania Airport.

Ryanair will grow at Chania as follows:

1 based aircraft
11 new routes (26 in total):
Billund, Bremen, Bristol, Eindhoven, Katowice, Marseille, Memmingen, Thessaloniki, Venice, Vilnius & Warsaw
106 weekly flights (up 89%)
500,000 pax p.a (up 100%)
500* “on site” jobs

Ryanair celebrated its new Chania base by launching a 100,000 seat sale with fares starting from £8 for travel across its European network in January which are available for booking until midnight (24:00hrs) Thur (20 Dec). Ryanair’s 11 new Chania routes will begin in April and will go on sale on www.ryanair.com (http://www.ryanair.com/) tomorrow.

In Chania today, Ryanair’s Kate Sherry said:

“Ryanair is delighted to announce Chania as our 55th base (and our first in Greece) and to unveil 11 new routes (26 in total) to/ Billund, Bremen, Bristol, Eindhoven, Katowice, Marseille, Memmingen, Thessaloniki, Venice, Vilnius and Warsaw beginning in April, as part of our summer 2013 schedule, which go on sale on www.ryanair.com (http://www.ryanair.com/) tomorrow.

Visitors to Greece can now beat the recession and escape high fares and fuel surcharging by switching to Ryanair’s lowest fares and our no fuel surcharge guarantee between Chania and 25 European destinations, including Edinburgh, London and Milan, amongst others. Ryanair’s 500,000 passengers p.a. will sustain up to 500 “on site” jobs in Chania, in a welcome boost to the Cretian economy, as we grow our passenger traffic by 100% at Chania.

To celebrate our new Chania base, we are launching a 100,000 seat sale with fares starting from £8 for travel across Europe in January, which are available for booking until midnight Thursday (20 Dec). Since seats at these crazy low prices will be snapped up quickly, we urge passengers to book them immediately on www.ryanair.com (http://www.ryanair.com/).”

ssflyer
19th Dec 2012, 11:44
Summer schedule now up,down from 3 rotations in 2012 to two in 2013 now using GRO based aircraft. Tuesday and Saturday flights but chose your days carefully as one is a 06.30 from Girona!
SSF

The SSK
19th Dec 2012, 12:01
That's standard Ryanair math. 1000 pax = 1 job. Nothing to do with jobs with the company or even at the airport. Barmen, shoeshine boys, extra police to keep the chavs in order - they all count.

GayFriendly
19th Dec 2012, 13:05
Summer schedule now up,down from 3 rotations in 2012 to two in 2013 now using GRO based aircraft

Sounds fairly typical for FR @ BHX: are we ever going to see any meaningful expansion of routes from their BHX base or is the airport only seen as a suitable place to park aircraft in the winter?

FRatSTN
19th Dec 2012, 13:49
Remember that they do fly to Barcelona (El Prat) 4 times a week now, to be honest I'm surprised Girona is still being offered from Birmingham. Also in the winter it got new routes to Milan Krakow (which will continue into the summer) and Palma also now goes through the winter months, the only UK airport except Stansted which has Ryanair flights to Palma in the winter so there has been some changes there recently and maybe one or two more by the time we get to the summer.

DublinPole
20th Dec 2012, 11:53
From 1st April Ryanair will increase Warsaw Modlin to Dublin from 5x weekly to 6x weekly.

FRatSTN
20th Dec 2012, 13:40
Looks like base number 56 is on the way. It appears that there is to be a base in Marrakech, Morocco as timetables are supporting Marrakech based aircraft with early departures and late arrivals.

Routes that currently have flights supporting Marrakech based aircraft are:

Brussels-Charleroi
Eindhoven
London-Stansted
Milan-Bergamo
Paris-Beauvais

Does anybody know of any new routes as I dare say there will be some very soon?

FRatSTN
20th Dec 2012, 13:48
Oh and base 57 it seems as well as I've just checked. Also in Morocco at Fez. Flights on the routes to London-Stansted, Milan-Bergamo and Paris-Beauvais airports supporting Fez based aircraft.

DomyDom
20th Dec 2012, 18:15
Manchester-Tours now back on sale for summer 2013 (twice weekly). :) Hopefully MAN-Biarritz will be back also. Does anyone know? Thanks, DomyDom

rareair
20th Dec 2012, 18:50
Very general question regarding Moroccan bases - can FR employ people there easily being outside the EU or will they have to go down the route of ex-patting EU crews or a Moroccan subsidiary / joint venture?

Jorik
20th Dec 2012, 23:09
I think the crew will just work under Irish law. Morrocco is not only not a EU country, but also the only Ryanair destinations outside Europe. Might be the case that Morroccon government approved the Ryanair's crew construction to boost tourism.

Pretty sure that Marrakech (RAK) will become a base. EIN-RAK is operated twice weekly this winter with BGY-EIN-RAK-BGY and BGY-RAK-EIN-BGY.
S13 this will rise to 4x weekly with the same routing on the Saturday flight, but the other three flights are operated from RAK (25min turnaround at EIN). Tuesday EIN-RAK flight arrives at 22:35 local and Thursday RAK-EIN flight departes 06:30 local. Must be a new base....

FRatSTN
21st Dec 2012, 09:02
Fez to Stansted leaves Fez at 06:30 so I would imagine that will also be a base. I know they fell out with Morocco but with an early continuation of both the London Luton and Stansted routes (early February) to Marrakech, I would imagine that something has been done that Ryanair agrees to and when Ryanair gets what it wants, the expansion is not usually a small one so with that knowledge in mind and the timetables as well, I would expect both Marrakech and Fez to become bases. I think it seems to be Marrakech with 2 aircraft and Fez with 1, but we will see.

frfly
21st Dec 2012, 11:07
RAK has been rumoured for over a year...talk is it is to be confirmed shortly. FEZ was probably thrown in to sweeten the deal.

All of these announcements have been interesting. Lots of "base expansion" - but with small A/C numbers, and also just a lot of switching of routes from base to the new base, with not a lot of new routes added. I would presume these new deals will mean free or very cheap A/C parking overnight, and cheap on site services - meaning cutting costs on routes sustaining them as fuel prices increase. Very clever bit of PR aswell to the locals (even though a lot of the routes are well established...ie RAK-BVA etc).

eu01
21st Dec 2012, 14:21
Lots of "base expansion" - but with small A/C numbers, and also just a lot of switching of routes from base to the new base, with not a lot of new routes added.
After all new planes have been delivered, the player's favourite move has to be castling, not expansion. If fact every expansion talk looks like a pure bluff.

EI-A330-300
22nd Dec 2012, 17:57
Ministers and other impotent people around Europe will be using Ryanair's flights between CRL-DUB from 1 Jan for 6 months. Irish Government after first refusing the offer from Ryanair have now agreeded a fare for €49.99 per passengers no matter when booked. It's expected that 15,000 trips will be made between Brussels and Dublin between Jan and June and could save 3.5 million.

Ryanair will provide the Government with 30 days credit, dedicated presidency helpline, free flight changes and assistance at airports in DUB and CRL if required. Baggage charges will not change.

Its sure to give some ministers a reality check.

ayroplain
22nd Dec 2012, 18:52
Ministers and other impotent people around Europe

You might like to change that in case the politicians sue. Sorry, couldn't resist :). Thanks for this interesting news.

FA10
23rd Dec 2012, 12:42
that's bad news for the passengers who were waiting at the departure gate in Verona the last two months... :ouch:

RAT 5
23rd Dec 2012, 15:16
Always wondered why VRN is not a base? NE Italy has a gap in the base network; it is an excellent airport in a central location for the region.

I wonder at the discrimination being applied by RYR for its arse licking to Irish politicians? A fixed price no matter when you book; no charges for changes etc. I'd be really p@£$ed off as a regular pax if I got whacked by the usual RYR add-ons and some fee-loader was treated with such grace. These politicians sure as hell won't be paying for their experience; well not in cash anyway. I wonder what AEI's response will be.

Jorik
23rd Dec 2012, 16:00
Verona is not really North East Italy. As VRN is a high fare airport for Ryanair and with just 110 km by road from on of their biggest bases Milan-Bergamo (BGY) it's not a good option for a base.

A new base at Venice-Treviso (TSF) is more likely and has been mentioned in rumours as well.

RAT 5
23rd Dec 2012, 19:31
TSF as a base would be a disaster. It is extremely difficult to achieve a 25 min turnaround. The preferred takeoff is opposite to landing and thus delays occur. Make it a base with more traffic = more delays. Is it CAT 2 yet? For a foggy base it needs to be. VRN 110km from BGY? LTN - STN is less than that. MAN - LPL is less than that. NRN - EIN - MST is less than that. GRN - BCN etc. etc.

Jorik
23rd Dec 2012, 20:57
Well it's not my decision mate :ok: Don't know much about TSF airport. Ofcourse there is room for multiple bases within 100 km's, that's not the point. The high fares at VRN is the problem and for Ryanair it's not worth basing aircraft there as BGY serves a part of the VRN market as well. It's even better, apparently not worth having any routes at all. Shame VRN has the high fares as it is a nice destination

barrymah
23rd Dec 2012, 21:13
Is the source official? or is it ryr? if the latter then I'd be leery. My considerable experience in the territory says CRL is for the also rans, the pols, especially ministers will stay with EI. I hope I am wrong, but this looks like a money saver, but not for "us"

eu01
23rd Dec 2012, 21:40
@barrymah. Read here (http://www.herald.ie/news/eus-highflyers-head-herewith-ryanair-3334178.html).

barrymah
24th Dec 2012, 10:49
"read here"

Aha it does say in the item "according to ryanair"

and then -

"The offer was agreed and is now available for booking through the Travel Management Services Contract," said Ms Creighton."

I would interpret Minister Creighton as saying "there is an option on the contract to use ryr"

In practise the Ministers' offices will book EI and the 'below stairs' will have to use ryr.

Significantly, perhaps, none of the pol corrs have mentioned this - the Evening Herald is hardly the paper of record.

As I said earlier, I hope my interpretation is wrong, I'd just LOVE to see our arrogant Ministers on ryr but it's unlikely, imo.

gossipboy
24th Dec 2012, 12:48
I don't know how you can say that 25 minutes turnaround in TSF are not possible while this is happening every day. Just my 2cents... Treviso was the first italian airport where Ryanair begins operations... and still is flying here.
If turnaround is a problem... TSF should not have 30 active routes right now.
TSF is ready for CATII operations but, as per Italian burocracy, the last signature (Military) is still missing and will came on first really disaster day with almost all flights diversions d/t fog.
Verona want a Ryanair base? Its management should think different.
VRN paid more than 17euros each passenger departed with Ryanair for more than 2 years (Just to remind that this contract has been signed from both parts, RYR & VRN) just to keep off Ryanair from Brescia airport.
Now Verona has no money...:ugh:

Jorik
2nd Jan 2013, 17:17
FR has requested slots for Naples and Catania:

From Catania

Stockholm Skavsta (NYO)
London Luton (LTN)
Malta (MLA)
Bologna (BLQ)
Rome Ciampino (CIA)
Bergamo (BGY)
Karlsruhe/Baden (FKB)
Valencia (VLC)
Cagliari (CAG)
Memmingen (FMM)
Tampere (TMP)
Maastricht (MST)
Krakow(KRK)
Cuneo (CUF)
Parma (PMF)
Leipzig (LEJ)
Genoa (GOA)
Billund (BLL)
Turin (TRN)
Brussels Charleroi (CRL)
Perugia (PEG)
Paris Beauvais (BVA)
Treviso (TSF)
Trieste (TRS)
Eindhoven (EIN)
Ancona (AOI)
Girona (GRO)
Frankfurt Hahn (HHN)
Pisa (PSA)

From Naples:

East Midlands (EMA)
Oslo/Rygge (RYG)
Malta (MLA)
Wroclaw (WRO)
Karlsruhe/Baden (FKB)
London Stansted (STN)
Alghero (AHO)
Pisa (PSA)

EI-A330-300
2nd Jan 2013, 17:29
Stockholm Skavsta (NYO)
London Luton (LTN)
Malta (MLA)
Bologna (BLQ)
Rome Ciampino (CIA)
Bergamo (BGY)
Karlsruhe/Baden (FKB)
Valencia (VLC)
Cagliari (CAG)
Memmingen (FMM)
Tampere (TMP)
Maastricht (MST)
Krakow(KRK)
Cuneo (CUF)
Parma (PMF)
Leipzig (LEJ)
Genoa (GOA)
Billund (BLL)
Turin (TRN)
Brussels Charleroi (CRL)
Perugia (PEG)
Paris Beauvais (BVA)
Treviso (TSF)
Trieste (TRS)
Eindhoven (EIN)
Ancona (AOI)
Girona (GRO)
Frankfurt Hahn (HHN)
Pisa (PSA)

That looks like they want to move there base from Tranapi to Catania

TBSC
2nd Jan 2013, 18:04
11th route out of Budapest (BUD-HHN) will be ceased from next week.

FRatSTN
2nd Jan 2013, 18:54
I so hope that this is true. We'd love to go to Naples but the main reason why we haven't been is because Ryanair don't fly there and there couldn't be better choices than Stansted and East Midlands.

I actually hope they move the Trapani base to Catania, Trapani is very remote and isn't in such in nice location in my opinion.

PhilW1981
2nd Jan 2013, 18:58
Why would anyone want to visit Naples, it is a rubbish laden dump of a place.

FRatSTN
2nd Jan 2013, 19:04
It's a beautiful place and more importantly it's near to mount vesuvius.

eu01
2nd Jan 2013, 19:04
Why would anyone want to visit Naples, it is a rubbish laden dump of a place.
Err... just returned therefrom. Rubbish, yes, but you have some nice pieces of architecture there too and besides... Pompeii, Ischia, Capri, Sorrento, Positano...

pamann
2nd Jan 2013, 19:40
Actually EZY fly to Naples from Stansted... A much better option than RyanAir anyhow.

FRatSTN
2nd Jan 2013, 20:22
Yes and EasyJet will probably pull another aircraft out and shift it to Southend knowing them and then possibly later regret it when Stansted's new owners give them a better offer.

In my opinion, I prefer Ryanair anyway (hence my user name) as I must be one in a thousand who prefer the service of Ryanair to EasyJet. I have found that over the years, EasyJet's website has massively deteriated whilst Ryanair's is generally improving although still too many ads and the captcha, but with an LCC you need to take that with a pinch of salt. I have found EasyJet to become over the top with trying to adapt itself to focus on business traveller, almost trying to become more like a full service carrier and trying to build on it's "easy" theme. For instance, there is no longer just a plain and simple route map so I can just see where they fly to. They now have this "Inspire me" map and now it's a google map image where I have to hover over each destination to see actually where it is and whats there and all the rest of it and I find that more difficult.

Alot of people complain about Ryanair never stop trying to sell stuff on the plane and announcing over the tannoy what they are flogging next, disturbing your relaxation, but I actually find EasyJet to be worse at this. I must have been asked if I wanted to buy something at least 10 times on a 3 hour flight to Marrakech, looking a bit annoyed every time people said no. They went down the aisle 4 times with food/drinks, kept trying to sell duty free and the rest of it, each time shouting it over the tannoy that they were coming down with the trolley as well as cabin crew being a little unfriendly and looking bored at times, which I was particularly surprised at as I always remember EasyJet crew always being up for a bit of a laugh and a joke.

So in a nutshell, despite EasyJet already serving Naples, I welcome the news that Ryanair want to fly there as they are a lot cheaper if you book at the right times and I persoanlly prefer the onboard service.

davidjohnson6
2nd Jan 2013, 20:32
Forgive me for putting a dampener on things but Ryanair has gone through the exercise many times of requesting slots only to hand them back without using them.
Will the slots be granted to FR and if so, will FR definitely use them ?

wowzz
2nd Jan 2013, 21:09
FRatSTN - explain, if you will, how EZY have gone over the top in attracting business travellers? Can't say I've noticed that.
And as for the web-sites of the two companies - EZY's is simple and easy to use - eg I don't have to scroll through various countries to select 'no insurance'.
Finally, I would suggest that over 90% of pax know where they want to fly, so the 'Inspire me' map is not really a problem. At least with EZY I know that when they say they fly to BCN, they actually land near to the city in question!

Jorik
2nd Jan 2013, 21:15
@davidjohnson6 Absolutely not. They only requested the slots and they are not even granted yet. In the case of Rotterdam for instance, they received the slots and still decided to pull out. So, the start of flights to any of these destinations is still far away. Difference is that RTM isnt looking for the lowcost traffic and both Catania and Naples welcomes Wizz Air flight, which I consider to be in the same segment as Ryanair.

peppo_8787
2nd Jan 2013, 21:20
The flights to / from Catania do not think will be confirmed .. The slots are reported with the same flight number, same frequencies of Trapani ..

In recent weeks, Ryanair and TPS have confirmed their commitment (7 new routes, and increases on other routes) .. So for the summer 2013 I do not think Ryanair arrive in Catania, in my opinion.

FRatSTN
2nd Jan 2013, 21:24
Ryanair make if perfectly clear when they are not flying to the main airport (and just for the record Ryanair do fly to BCN a lot more than EZY do although that is an exception to the rule generally I agree). With EasyJet, it is a pain in the bum to change your search if it's not quite what you're looking more as you have to remove your old flight from your "basket" manually, which I find a lot more frustrating than clicking UK in the travel insurance drop down menu on Ryanair.

Also, EasyJet are very funny with their fares. Ryanair tends to charge very similar, in most cases the same fare, for the weekdays (especially Tues-Thu)and charge more at weekends. Although EasyJet also do this, every flight is a different fare most of the time where a Tuesday morning flight may be cheaper than Wednesday afternoon but a Thursday midday may be cheaper still. I find this frustrating as finding the very cheapest fare is much more difficult to do and you have to travel on very specific flights in order to get the cheapest fare, where the very cheapest (especially on the more holiday routes) get back at 1 or 2 am where with Ryanait, the time often doesn't make much difference to the base fare, just the day of the week. It's little things like that whcih I don't particularly like about EZY although I would still fly with them in they were considerably cheaper than Ryanair.

pamann
2nd Jan 2013, 21:40
Have to agree that EZY are far more superior to FR. There is a lot less hard sell on-board and a more civilised cabin with crew that actually have customer service training.

As for FR's website is pure $hite, sorry.

I'll use RyanAir but only as a last resort for flights under 1.5 hours if the price is right and I've packed my noise cancelling headphones.

wowzz
2nd Jan 2013, 21:58
FRatSTN - thanks for your considered reply, although you do seem to be making a great deal about EZY charging different prices for different days. Personally I have never seen this as an issue, just a pure case of supply and demand.
I cannot however agree with your comment that FR make it 'pefectly clear' if they are not flying to the main airport of a city. Beauvais or Weeze for example - if I want to fly to Paris or Dusseldorf I would expect to land somewhat closer to the city than these two airports.

LNIDA
2nd Jan 2013, 22:29
Well its interesting to get a different view, I have flown with both and i was quite impressed with FR in part because my expectation was so low,but on balance Easyjet are better but more expensive.

Website wise i find that with Ryanair that they have set traps at every turn, in fact the whole process is stressful with, i feel i can only relax when I'm out of the terminal with my luggage.

I think Easyjet are doing well out of Southend and there is little or no chance of FR going there from what I here, haven't flown from STN for some time so not sure how the place looks with mainly FR, LHR/LGW is better for me now i've moved.

FR-
3rd Jan 2013, 08:08
No im sorry but the easyJet website is much better, minus the route map. The crew do not hard sell often, the flow of service is simple and crew stick to it. Often on a UK-Spain route the crew will only try and sell food/drink once maybe twice if time. Where the rule in FR is a second service is a must on all flights over 90mins, on a UK-RAK you would be expected to do 3/4 services.
I know crew in both airlines and I would say the crew service is much better in easyJet, the crew and base have targets for customer service, and crew are actually trainned in customer service. FR still has no formal customer service trainning untill later in the year, and thats only on new crew.

fr-

Cyrano
3rd Jan 2013, 08:25
where with Ryanait, the time often doesn't make much difference to the base fare, just the day of the week. It's little things like that whcih I don't particularly like about EZY although I would still fly with them in they were considerably cheaper than Ryanair.

You may not have tried booking a higher-frequency route such as DUB-LGW or DUB-STN where, I can assure you, the Ryanair prices can vary very considerably by time of day within a single day.

But as wowzz says, why is this an issue? I would expect a Monday morning DUB-LGW flight to cost more than a Monday evening flight (for example), simply because more people want to fly to London on Monday morning - simple supply and demand, the core of LCC revenue management.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, though, which is very interesting. Ryanair has plenty of detractors and defenders, but even the defenders (understandably) point to its low fares as part of the reason they like it. It's rarer to find someone who finds the Ryanair website/onboard product (as opposed to the fares) better than EZY.

EZY7117LPL
3rd Jan 2013, 14:26
I like both easyJet and Ryanair equally and I don't mind whichever I travel with!

frfly
3rd Jan 2013, 15:36
The average joe just likes whoever will get him from A to B for the best price when they want to go. That means if it's EZY, there you go. If it's FR fine. Who really cares? Personally I think both airlines do what they each do very well, there's gap growing between the two and both those clever people in Dublin and Luton know this and are happy with it.

FRatSTN
3rd Jan 2013, 15:47
I do fly EZY occassionally but prefer FR and have flown with them more. Plus look at my location. We are not really served that well by EZY round here anyway with one of the larges FR bases in the UK less than half an hour up the road.

I have flown from Stansted to Dublin with Ryanair in actual fact, in June 2011. It was a day trip returning the same day, flight departed at 08:10 and we got back to STN at 19:50 the same day, it was a Tuesday. We paid £42 in total for 3 people (£7 each way per person) and all other flights on the day and those around it were the same, even the weekend before in this case, so I re-iterate my prference to the way that Ryanair generally structure their fares. With EZY (I know they don't go to DUB but use AMS as an example) I'd expect one flgiht to be £14.95 another to be £17.99, another to be £16.49 etc.

Hangar6
7th Jan 2013, 15:25
79.6 MILLIONS PASSENGERS IN 12 MONTHS ,

I have decided to stop knocking this amazing success story in 2013,

well done folks ......:D

EI-DAC
7th Jan 2013, 16:00
News about RAK/FEZ bases?

Cyrano
8th Jan 2013, 15:25
Google translate from the Swedish report (http://www.gp.se/resor/1.1202672-ryanair-vill-flyga-inrikes-fran-goteborg) of today's Gothenburg press conference (where he also said he wants to start Swedish domestic routes):

Ryanair will this summer will have 305 Boeing aircraft. The company plans, however, to order more before 2013 is over.

DomyDom
8th Jan 2013, 17:25
Anyone kknow if the MAN-BIQ route is coming back for Summer 2013? It's just taking along time for flights to be loaded if they are coming back at all. Thanks, DomyDom:confused:

wowzz
8th Jan 2013, 20:46
If MoL is ordering more aircraft during 2013, does that mean he is selling on existing aircraft, or buying additional aircraft to be 'parked up' every winter?

FRatSTN
8th Jan 2013, 20:53
DomyDom

Unfortunately, Biarritz is not set to return to Manchester for 2013.

This technique below that I have found to work very well over several years is nearly always correct, last mentioned on post 325 on this thread. It shows that Ryanair are not considering to restart the route next year.

Very strangely Ryanair's booking system seems to have some
sort of glitch which I've found to indicate what routes may or may not operate
in the next schedule season before anything goes on sale. If you select a flight
route inthe next and currently unavailable schedule season (in this case "summer
2013") it will obviously show no available flights. Despite knowing this, try it
anyway and make sure you select the return date to be exactly 1 week after the
departure date but with flexible travel dates (just to make what I'm about to
say easier to see).

If the selected departure date
(highlighted in yellow) is not centralised so is basically not showing 3
alternative dates to either side but instead 6 alternative dates after and isn't
actually the specific date you selected but instead 3 days before coming back,
but the return flight is centralised (with 3 alternative dates toeither side of
the selected date) then this simply means there is no flights available. Don't
ask me why its like that, I have no idea, but it is.

If however BOTH the departure and return
flights ARE centralised (with both showing 3 alternative dates either side of
the selected date) and the departure date IS now the exact date you selected
then this seems to indicate that Ryanair are planning to operate this route at
least once at some point within that time.

For some routes, it can change and isn't 100% accurate but is
correct the vast majority of the time and becomes more accurate the closer you
get to flights being released for booking, however as we know it can still
change after this point, especially with Ryanair as they are well known for
cancelling routes or starting new ones at short notice! Of course you can't see
what new routes are being planned since you cannot yet select them in the
booking system.

People will probably think I'm just talking complete rubbish
however I noticed it several years ago and have become certain that it is to do
with what Ryanair are planning to operate and what not to, and I'd say that
"planning" is the operative word there!

onyxcrowle
8th Jan 2013, 21:53
Could you screen shot that please ;).

FRatSTN
9th Jan 2013, 07:34
Sadly, I have no idea how to put screenshots on forums. But if you put outbound as 22/07/13 and return 29/07/13 for the Manchester-Biarritz route and then do the same for the Kaunas-Tampere route for the same dates, you should hopefully see what I mean. MAN-BIQ is set to get no flights, KUN-TMP is set to get flights put on sale soon.

DomyDom
9th Jan 2013, 07:50
FRatSTN, thanks for the info and advice DomyDom

DublinPole
9th Jan 2013, 10:01
New Routes
Oslo Torp to Parma
Oslo Torp to Girona

1stspotter
9th Jan 2013, 13:04
Michael O'Leary said Ryanair is in the market for about 200 new planes as the low-cost airline's fleet is poised to reach 300 Boeing 737-800 jets later this year.

Ryanair is in talks with Boeing, he added during a press conference in Oslo.

"Boeing have plenty of availability in the order book," Mr O'leary said. "We are in the fairly early stages of talks to see if we can reach an agreement on price."

Mr O'Leary said that Ryanair is looking for deliveries in 2015, 2016 and 2017 – the year that Boeing's upgraded 737 Max jetliner is due to enter service.

The Ryanair boss said that a new order was possible this year to help expand passenger numbers to 120 million

continue at source for more information
source : Ryanair in talks with Boeing for 200 new planes - Irish, Business - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-in-talks-with-boeing-for-200-new-planes-3347205.html)

2 Whites 2 Reds
9th Jan 2013, 13:22
What happened to the Chinese COMAC deal? Another PR stunt dead and buried by O'Learly.

1stspotter
9th Jan 2013, 14:34
Not a PR stunt but a trick to make negotiations with Boeing a bit easier. If Boeing 'thinks' there might be a competitor they will give some discount more easy to win the deal.

In a tv programme on German TV some expert told that Ryanair got a 50 % discount from Boeing for the purchase of a lot of B737-800.

Charlie Roy
9th Jan 2013, 18:14
"Boeing have plenty of availability in the order book," Mr O'leary said.

Do they?!!

aloa326
9th Jan 2013, 18:35
Who knows!!!!!

None knows!!!!!

racedo
9th Jan 2013, 18:38
What happened to the Chinese COMAC deal? Another PR stunt dead and buried by O'Learly.

What deal ?

A memo of understanding to engage in talks and share information about what an airline would like and what is possible doesn't constitute a deal.

Thunderbirdsix
9th Jan 2013, 18:42
See post above

racedo
9th Jan 2013, 18:45
Do they?!!

A 200 plane order at list price is worth $12-15 Billion plus to Boeing, assumming 50% discount its still worth $6-8 Billion plus spares, training and ongoing support for years to come and another order in 2022.

Space always found for good customers who pay and continue to order.

DaveReidUK
9th Jan 2013, 19:25
Ryanair buying Boeings by the shedload ? Whatever next ?

taxistaxing
9th Jan 2013, 19:28
Insightful!

eu01
9th Jan 2013, 20:15
assumming 50% discount.
Would this discount be possible without Uncle Sam financing it? EU has been mad about the subsidies allegedly paid to Boeing, but the half-price deal would also reduce Europeans' expenditure on aircraft (harming the Airbus industry, though).
Economy is a delicate art sometimes...

pwalhx
9th Jan 2013, 20:40
Good customers who pay and have boasted about how they 'screwed them over' before

racedo
9th Jan 2013, 20:47
Would this discount be possible without Uncle Sam financing it? EU has been mad about the subsidies allegedly paid to Boeing, but the half-price deal would also reduce Europeans' expenditure on aircraft (harming the Airbus industry, though).
Economy is a delicate art sometimes...

Think you will find that going to anybody with a substantial order then a big discount will happen anyway.

Try going to a Ford dealer and offering to buy 200 cars and see what price you can get.

US EXIM Bank will finance, just like they finance other capital purchases.

Most countries provide Export funding or guarantees schemes for their exporters.

racedo
9th Jan 2013, 20:54
Good customers who pay and have boasted about how they 'screwed them over' before

Ever met a Salesman or Buyer who hasn't boasted about screwing a customer / supplier ?

Only one thing worse for a Salesman about hearing a customer says they screwed them and its a customer saying they buying from the competition.

People shouldn't confuse rhetoric with business.............

truckflyer
9th Jan 2013, 22:28
Orangaphobia - referring to a thread from 2001, hardly relevant!

pwalhx
10th Jan 2013, 07:49
And people should not confuse good business with rubbing peoples face in it.

I suspect Ryanair may get quite a good deal still, but maybe not quite as good as they could have, and that is how business works.

eu01
10th Jan 2013, 16:47
People from Jerez seem to be very keen to get new routes - and news leek a bit early. From end March / April new routes waiting to be announced:XRY to DUB
XRY to EDI
XRI to CRL
XRY to BRE

racedo
10th Jan 2013, 20:15
And people should not confuse good business with rubbing peoples face in it.

I suspect Ryanair may get quite a good deal still, but maybe not quite as good as they could have, and that is how business works.

Business is business not good or bad.

BigFrank
10th Jan 2013, 21:27
On the above basis, sales in Spain (now one of its biggest markets, where if I am not mistaken it is already much much bigger than ailing Iberia-out-of-IAG) will go through the roof shortly as a result of the programme due to be aired on 11th January at 22:20 (local) on national channel LA SEXTA.

The pre-programme publicity from the company website www.lasexta.com (http://www.lasexta.com) is as below:

" Tres aterrizajes de emergencia por falta de combustible ponen a la compañía aérea Ryanair en el punto de mira. El programa viaja a Dublín para hablar con los protagonistas de la mayor crisis de Ryanair en sus 28 años de historia. "Equipo de investigación" entrevista en primicia a la controladora aérea que dirigía las operaciones la noche de los tres aterrizajes emergencia. En sus 15 años de carrera nunca ha vivido una situación tan extrema. Voces de todo el sector aéreo denuncian que la compañía opera “al límite”, también sus empleados.
Por primera vez un piloto en activo de la aerolínea cuenta ante una cámara que la "low cost" les somete a presiones para ahorrar combustible. El programa conducido por Gloria Serra ha tenido acceso a documentos que demuestran estas presiones. Las asociaciones de consumidores están desbordadas por las quejas de los pasajeros de Ryanair. La compañía debe más de un millón de euros en indemnizaciones que no paga.
Mientras, las comunidades autónomas y ayuntamientos llevan años impulsando el desarrollo de la aerolínea con millonarios contratos de publicidad. "Equipo de investigación" entra en las oficinas centrales de la compañía en Irlanda y comprueba que la filosofía del ahorro impera en todo Ryanair. El programa entrevista a Michael O’Leary, el polémico director de la compañía, sobre los últimos incidentes y las denuncias que ponen en tela de juicio la seguridad de la "low cost". "

As Ducksie himself has apparently (from the above) cooperated with the programme makers, no doubt we will get the unvarnished truth about all the above issues so I for one will be watching with barely bated breath.

PAXboy
10th Jan 2013, 22:29
Any discussion about RYR is irrelevant because, for each person who walks away swearing never to use them again - there will be two 18 year olds let loose on the world on their own for the first time. They (mostly) have no money and a lot to learn.

Unless RYR starts breaking hulls way above the average - their business is assured. Not for me, but that's irrelevant. :}

Jamie2k9
11th Jan 2013, 02:10
racedo you should of applied for the new Head of Communications in FR :)

Meccano
11th Jan 2013, 05:07
He;s workin' on it Jamie....since 2008......:D

FRatSTN
11th Jan 2013, 17:34
Does anybody know of any new routes to Mahon/Menorca (MAH). I will be very surprised if East Midlands remained the only UK airport to serve Menorca in the summer. We're getting quite close now with only 2 and a half months until the summer timetables kick in so wondered of anybody knows anything?

TSR2
11th Jan 2013, 18:31
I will be very surprised if East Midlands remained the only UK airport to serve Menorca in the summer.

Monarch (ZB) fly to Menorca from Manchester 5 times per week in summer 13 and Jet2 3 times per week..

pwalhx
11th Jan 2013, 18:44
Business is business not good or bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are not being serious surely?

racedo
11th Jan 2013, 22:22
Business is business not good or bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are not being serious surely?

Define good business ?

Lets face it do you think buying £ 8 tshirts at an Oxford street retailer is bad business, especially when its some 16 year old kid in far east getting paid 20 pence a day for this.

Sounds bad until you think that the rent from the shop gets paid to the company your pension fund is invested in and total employees, 200 in the store, 90% of whom were on the dole and now pay some tax and store would be empty otherwise.

Govt gets VAT to pay for everything and provide tax back for your pension contributions. Your pension fund also invested in the retailer so you get something when you retire. 16 year old kid is first from family to have a job.

So is it good or bad business ?

Or is the new IPAD made in factory in China good business where staff commit suicide ?

FRatSTN
12th Jan 2013, 08:22
I will be very surprised if East Midlands remained the only UK airport to serve Menorca in the summer.

Monarch (ZB) fly to Menorca from Manchester 5 times per week in summer 13 and Jet2 3 times per week..

With Ryanair!

compton3bravo
12th Jan 2013, 09:34
Err what about easyJet, British Airways, Thomson etc. etc.

FRatSTN
12th Jan 2013, 11:20
Since this is a RYANAIR thread I didn't feel I had to specify that it was just RYANAIR which I was refering to.

The only UK airport that RYANAIR currently fly to Minorca from is EAST MIDLANDS.

I was simply asking if RYANAIR (forget EasyJet, Jet2, Monarch etc.) was likely to add Minorca to more UK airports, Stansted being the obvious one, or maybe Bristol, Manchester or Prestwick for example. It really wasn't a difficult question.

pwalhx
12th Jan 2013, 11:25
In this case FR yes you did as your statement was 'I will be very surprised if East Midlands remained the only UK airport to serve Menorca in the summer.' which was, and I can understand why, interpreted as a general question not specifically to FR.

FRatSTN
12th Jan 2013, 11:32
OK. So in future, despite commenting on a Ryanair thread, I will make it ultra clear that is it actually Ryanair that I'm talking about:rolleyes:

It just goes to show how many people actually forget the fact that this is a thread specific to Ryanair therefore any posts made should be related to Ryanair!

pwalhx
12th Jan 2013, 11:51
No you don't just consider the dynamic of your question.

FRatSTN
12th Jan 2013, 12:15
To be part of this forum, one has to have quite in depth knowledge of "airlines, airports and routes" and with that in mind, I still fail to see how it was to the extent of misleading in the first place. I think all of us here know damn well that most airports in the UK have flights to Minorca operated by at least one carrier so even if my statement didn't seem to refer to Ryanair directly, it only requires a small amount of common sense to understand my point.

Jorik
12th Jan 2013, 12:33
MOL will pay a visit to Maastricht on Wednesday with 'news'. Subject of the press conference is yet unknown. More info on that is to be expected on Monday.

Dutch source:
Topman Ryanair komt naar Maastricht-Airport met nieuws - Maastricht - dichtbij.nl - Maastricht (http://www.dichtbij.nl/maastricht/zakelijk/artikel/2601391/oprichter-ryanair-komt-naar-maastrichtairport-met-nieuws.aspx)

FR-
12th Jan 2013, 12:35
Menorca ...........

OPOcatering
12th Jan 2013, 12:39
The CEO of Ryanair, Michael O'Leary, will be in Lisbon and Porto next Tuesday, then goes to Santander!

Normally the new bases are announced on Tuesdays!
Will be this time that Lisbon is announced as a new base?

In Porto, I think come talk to those already announced new routes (Dortmund, Nuremberg, Strasburgo, Lubeck and Clermont Ferrand) and possibly one or another routes!

Anyone knows something about it?

FRatSTN
12th Jan 2013, 12:49
I think all the announcements are on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. It seems that way anyway. Will be interesting to see if Santander is a new base.

And just to clarify to you pwalhx, that's a base for Ryanair I'm talking about!:E

FRatSTN
12th Jan 2013, 13:07
FR-

You can spell it either way. Minorca is the English spelling whilst Menorca is the Spanish spelling. Just like Majorca is the English spelling with Mallorca as the Spanish.

I don't know where Ibiza comes into it but Majorca and Minorca simply evolved their names through their size, hence:

MINOR-ca

and

MAJOR-ca

FR-
12th Jan 2013, 15:00
Since its the Ryanair forum, lets spell it how it is on the Ryanair route map.

FRatSTN
12th Jan 2013, 15:27
No need to go over the top. Spelling it with an "I" is still correct and doesn't really compare to failing to recognise a comment is regarding Ryanair on a Ryanair thread (not blaming you onthat personally) but I'm English so I will say Minorca if I choose to.

peppo_8787
14th Jan 2013, 11:59
ROUTEFLASH!!: Ryanair to open its first African bases in Marrakech and Fez

Exclusive: anna.aero has discovered that Ryanair will open two new bases in Morocco, less than six months after a spectacular public row with the state airports company, ONDA, in which it declared: “Ryanair cannot accept cost increases as it seeks to deliver more growth to Morocco; ONDA has now lost sight of the key to the success of our partnership.” Clearly relations have thawed considerably, to the extent that aircraft will now be based in the country, probably from April this year.

As base number 56 and 57 you would think that this would not be a big deal for the low-cost world, however the Irish carrier’s decision is significant as it represents the first time any European low-cost carrier has made the decision to base aircraft outside of its home continent. Our data elves can only think of Tiger Airways (based in Singapore, but with operations in Sydney and Melbourne) and Air Arabia (based in Sharjah but with bases in Alexandria and Casablanca) as being the only low-cost carriers with aircraft based in a different continent. (Before anyone writes in, we maintain that Ryanair’s three Canary Islands bases in Tenerife, Lanzarote, and Gran Canaria are technically in Europe).

Competing airlines on the rack, at RAK

Currently Ryanair is the third largest carrier at Marrakech, trailing slightly behind easyJet and national carrier Royal Air Maroc in terms of both weekly frequencies and seats. Even if Ryanair decides to base just one new aircraft at the airport, it would seem likely that it will become the dominant airline, although this will depend on the number of new routes that it plans to launch versus just simply reinstating the schedule on existing routes.

Looking at the biggest routes in Marrakech market today, Ryanair either already operates, or has plans to operate, to the largest markets: Paris (it already serves Beauvais four times weekly); London (two flights per week to London Luton restart on 02 February, and two flights per week to London Stansted from 03 February); Madrid (daily flights); Marseille (thrice weekly); and Milan (it serves Bergamo twice weekly).

Will Ryanair go domestic?

The obvious gaps in the existing network would be some services to Scandinavia, and more capacity into France to serve the obvious social links between the two counties. However, the biggest single market from Marrakech is domestic — with 28 weekly frequencies and over 3,200 weekly seats — is to Casablanca. So, with aircraft based at the airport, it will be interesting to see if Ryanair uses this opportunity launch domestic services within Morocco.
The situation at Fez Saïss Airport is very different. It is seven times smaller than Marrakech, and Ryanair is already the #1 airline in terms of weekly seats and flights – it only has five airlines serving the city probably most famous for the tarboosh felt hat. Route opportunities that Ryanair may well look to exploit could include re-starting London Stansted flights again (which were canned during the spat over charges last October with ONDA), Madrid (currently not served at the airport), more frequencies to France (Paris, Marseille and Montpellier are currently operated across all serving airlines) as well as Scandinavia.
As we close for press, there are also rumours that Michael O’Leary will be using the company jet this week to announce bases 58 and 59 at Lisbon and Santander. Typically Ryanair would normally start a base only after it has trialled the destination with some inbound flights from other bases, but currently it has no operations at Lisbon and if this plan comes to fruition it will become its third Portuguese base after Porto and Faro. The low-cost carrier already has a 17 route network from Santander operating domestically in Spain, as well as the three routes to the UK, two in Italy and one each in Germany and Belgium. Santander would become Ryanair’s eighth base in mainland Spain.

smith
15th Jan 2013, 08:30
I see Ryanair are doing free golf club carriage to Faro for all UK deeps until end of March. You could use this to your advantage as it is 20kg each way for free, simply pack your luggage in a golf bag travel case and bob's your uncle 20kg free luggage.

FR-
15th Jan 2013, 08:59
The check in staff should be checking that only golf clubs are in the case and not clothes.

pee
15th Jan 2013, 09:25
MOL will come to visit also France tomorrow. Coming from Marseille, he's expected in Beauvais later the same day. Interestingly enough, it will be only second visit of Ryanair's CEO to Beauvais. The first one happened back in 1997, when the first DUB route to this airport (to France?) was announced.

Edit. Btw., the rumoured base in Lisbon is NOT coming yet.

Sober Lark
15th Jan 2013, 10:08
Ryanair are doing free golf club carriage to Faro

At check in I believe they are playing by R&A rules. Max 14 clubs or else...

boyzinblue
15th Jan 2013, 10:37
Does anyone know if FR are to add new routes at Magdeburg (CSO)? The airport stated that a further announcement is set for the end of January and I was just wondering if this announcement involves FR.

SWBKCB
15th Jan 2013, 16:39
However, the biggest single market from Marrakech is domestic — with 28 weekly frequencies and over 3,200 weekly seats — is to Casablanca. So, with aircraft based at the airport, it will be interesting to see if Ryanair uses this opportunity launch domestic services within Morocco.

Presumably Morocco has an 'Open Skies' agreement with the EU, but would they allow a foreign airline to operate domestically?

Jamie2k9
15th Jan 2013, 19:25
Routes from Targu Mures will be announced tomorrow. Dublin and Pisa are expected but not know if any others, would be suprised if STN was not announced.

Jorik
16th Jan 2013, 09:42
First Non-EU Bases Announced - Fez & Marrakech

Ryanair Announces 2 New Bases (Fez & Marrakech, No 56 & 57)

Grows to 60 routes, 2.5m PAX & 2,500 jobs in Morocco

Ryanair, Europe’s only ultra-low cost airline, today (16 Jan) announced it would open two new bases in Morocco in 2013, at Fez (No 56) and Marrakech (No 57) with a total of three based-aircraft, as Ryanair invests over $210 million in Morocco. Ryanair also announced two new Moroccan airports, at Essaouira and Rabat as it grows its operations in Morocco in 2013 to 60 routes and 8 airports, which will deliver up to 2.5m passenger p.a. and support 2,500* “on-site” jobs in Morocco.

Ryanair will grow in Morocco in 2013 as follows:

Fez (new base):
· 1 based aircraft

15 routes
4 new routes: Lille, Nantes, Nimes & St Etienne
600,000 pax p.a
600* “on site” jobs

Marrakech (new base):
· 2 based aircraft

22 routes
7 new routes: Baden, Bergerac, Cuneo (Italy), Dole (France), Munich, Paris (Vatry) & Tours
1m pax p.a
1,000* “on site” jobs

Essaouira (new airport):
· 2 routes: Brussels & Marseille

Rabat (new airport):
· 3 routes: Brussels, Paris & Marseille

Ryanair celebrated its 2 new Moroccan bases and 8 airports by launching a 100,000 seat sale with fares starting from €15 for travel across its European network in February and March, which are available for booking until midnight (24:00hrs) Monday (21 Jan). Ryanair’s new Moroccan routes will begin in April and will go on sale on www.ryanair.com (http://www.ryanair.com/) tomorrow.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“Ryanair is delighted to announce our first 2 bases in Morocco at Fez (No 56) and Marrakech (No 57) and to launch 2 new Morocco airports at Essaouira and Rabat, with flights starting in April. To celebrate our new Moroccan bases and airports, we are launching a 100,000 seat sale with fares starting from €15 for travel across Europe in February and March. Seats at these crazy low prices will be snapped up quickly, so we urge passengers to book them immediately on www.ryanair.com (http://www.ryanair.com/).”

Dr. Lahcen Haddad, Minister of Tourism of the Kingdom of Morocco said:

“The Moroccan tourism sector is very proud of the confidence Ryanair is showing in the capacity of the Moroccan destination to grow and develop to become a leading market in the Mediterranean region. This long-term commitment, as shown in the implementation of two bases in Fez and Marrakesh, and the opening of two new destinations (Essaouira and Rabat), is the first stage of a comprehensive strategy aiming, for Ryanair, to build a profitable business based on the huge growth potential of Moroccan tourism, as planned within the framework of Vision 2020. The Moroccan Ministry of tourism is convinced that an efficient growth strategy can only succeed if it takes into consideration the emergence of new tourism products, the need for an adequate air service as well as for an efficient marketing activity. Through MNTO, we will strengthen our marketing efforts in the main source markets at which Ryanair will increase its air services to Morocco.”

* ACI research confirms up to 1,000 ‘on-site’ jobs are sustained at international airports for every 1m passengers

Jorik
16th Jan 2013, 15:43
NEW ROUTES from Targu Mures (Romania) starting April 2013:

Targu Mures (TGM) - Brussels Charleroi (CRL)
Targu Mures (TGM) - Pisa (PSA)