PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - 9

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]

DaveReidUK
24th Jul 2017, 06:24
EasyJet are to register 110 aircraft in Austria,they have already started to do this.

One so far:

https://www.netairspace.com/photos/OE-IVA/easyJet_Europe/Airbus_A320-214/INN_LOWI_Innsbruck_Kranebitten/photo_176997/medium.jpg?uq=850651&sid=0cf09ee160f6eb30f4a7d9b9cdf06bd9

goldeneye
24th Jul 2017, 11:34
What happened to Ryanair's UK AOC, they got it when they took over Buzz from KLM. I'm guessing they didn't keep it.

wiggy
24th Jul 2017, 14:08
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/24/travellers-are-taking-advantage-of-bag-rules-to-avoid-fees-says-ryanair

Be warned, in the article the CFO uses interesting language...

"Ryanair’s chief financial officer, Neil Sorahan, said the airline could review its second bag allowance, introduced in late 2013, as passengers were starting to “take the pXXX” ( my edit.)

He said: “I’ve seen two-year-olds wheeling a bag up to the plane as people try to take advantage.”

PAXboy
24th Jul 2017, 22:07
I found that one of the funniest things I've read in years!
Asked by a reporter if passengers were “taking the piss”, Sorahan said: “Some are... The vast majority of people play by the rules but some don’t. Unfortunately some bring massive backpacks and things that don’t fit under the seat. We’ve been a little bit lax or nice – we are victims of our own niceness.”Ah, :{ my heart bleeds. It seems the poor things have only just worked out that, if you make a set of rules - others will work out how to bypass them. It's how hospitals can 'pass' all their tests and still treat patients badly and let people lie on trolleys in a corridor all night.

Humans always want more product for less money, just as suppliers (RYR) want more money for less product. Nothing new under the sun.

Charlie Roy
24th Jul 2017, 23:23
"Ryanair’s chief financial officer, Neil Sorahan, said the airline could review its second bag allowance, introduced in late 2013, as passengers were starting to “take the pXXX” ( my edit.)

While they're revising the rules, they should also revise the new seating logic which pisses passengers off by purposely seating them apart :*

RAT 5
25th Jul 2017, 17:07
Neil Sorahan, said the airline could review its second bag allowance,

One real problem that pxxx's pax off is where airlines from the same airport have different hand baggage policies. It real is an absurd situation. I fly from an airport where various operators have the same a/c; i.e.the seats & hat-bins are similar size. Some allow 1 bag + computer + overcoat or lady's handbag. Some, even the LoCo member of the major parent, allow only 1 bag to include everything including computer & duty-free. Others allow 1 cabin bag + duty free. Some have 7kgs, 10kgs, 12kgs, unlimited. Some have 35x25x55, 45x35x55, 25x20x50. It is an absolute joke and unacceptable. Baggage shops sell 'cabin allowed luggage.' No it's not it depends on who you fly with. I've seen some ridiculous and outrageous situations at the gate with hand baggage. Customer service, common sense etc. out of the window. The airlines do not help themselves never mind their profit paying customers.

toledoashley
25th Jul 2017, 17:42
There seems to be a convergence going on. Most seem not able to cope with the one overhead bag, one under the seat bag... Both easy and Wizz have gone down the route of the first onboard the aircraft will get the space in the locker, wizz with Prioirty Boarding, and easy with Speedy boarding.

Maybe this should be the way its policed at Ryanair - with only the priority boarders allowed to take two pieces.

CCFAIRPORT
31st Jul 2017, 11:28
NEW ROUTE

Rome Fiumicino to Tel Aviv (daily)

Opens 29 october 2017

ssflyer
31st Jul 2017, 11:38
[QUOTE= Maybe this should be the way its policed at Ryanair - with only the priority boarders allowed to take two pieces.[/QUOTE]

+1 from me
SS

j636
31st Jul 2017, 15:04
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-economy/2276552-ryanair-may-temporarily-fly-from-boryspil-or-zhuliany-airports-groysman.html

RAT 5
31st Jul 2017, 20:31
Rome Fiumicino to Tel Aviv (daily)

That is going to test the cabin crews' patience and personal skills to the max. Fast turn rounds will be pure myth.

PPRuNeUser0176
4th Aug 2017, 21:42
They have adjusted turnarounds to 50 or 60 minutes now, surly it's going to be enough?

Waldo1
7th Aug 2017, 18:28
Hello, anyone know anything on the grapevine about any potential new routes being launched from belfast? Surely there's bound to be something or else they will just park all these new aircraft in a corner somewhere

southside bobby
8th Aug 2017, 07:57
Waldo1....with all due respect you fail in your understanding of RYR`s business philosophy & methodology if you reason in that way....Good luck with that....:)))

racedo
8th Aug 2017, 17:53
Hello, anyone know anything on the grapevine about any potential new routes being launched from belfast? Surely there's bound to be something or else they will just park all these new aircraft in a corner somewhere

Which part of BREXIT do you not get ?

Belfast Airports will be affected by Brexit and why would Ryanair launch routes that it has to stop.

Waldo1
8th Aug 2017, 22:57
Waldo1....with all due respect you fail in your understanding of RYR`s business philosophy & methodology if you reason in that way....Good luck with that....:)))

Thanks for that really patronising and useless response.

Noxegon
9th Aug 2017, 06:12
It seems that Ryanair may no longer be operating their quiet flights policy in the early mornings/late evenings.

I was on BVA-DUB on Monday night after 10:00pm and there was the usual slurry of promotional announcements. I asked a crew member about it and he told me that the policy was no longer in place.

RAT 5
9th Aug 2017, 08:36
But nice yellow spongy ear plugs are for sale at €5 a pair. Never miss an opportunity.

southside bobby
9th Aug 2017, 17:53
Waldo1....Apologies if you took offence...none intended BTW..How do you wish me to rephrase or reword it?...the end result/answer will be the same I guess tho regarding your reasoning "that there is bound to be something" does not as I state fit within the RYR culture & planning process in the great game..Nought against any region of course but many an airport management woulda relied on that type of thinking with RYR in times past & have been found out...you may well receive but bound to...NO.

Waldo1
9th Aug 2017, 22:40

Belfast Airports will be affected by Brexit and why would Ryanair launch routes that it has to stop.

Nah mate...I heard a rumour brexit was binned off, they're not gonna bother doing that now...

racedo
10th Aug 2017, 22:40
Nah mate...I heard a rumour brexit was binned off, they're not gonna bother doing that now...

Did someone tell Arlene that......

LTNman
11th Aug 2017, 04:28

There are two sides to Ryanair, the threatening side that is and was all bluster and there is the other side that continues to launch many new routes to and from the UK.

I believe 17 new routes were started from the UK in March so your comment about Belfast and Brexit are not based on facts.

DC3 Dave
11th Aug 2017, 08:04
No aircraft will be grounded the day the UK leaves the EU. I often fly between SEN and JER. Jersey is neither part of the UK or the EU. Arrangements are made, life goes on. Oh, and there are no border controls either.

MOL will be looking for someway FR can gain from this situation. Perhaps a cut in APD to ease the pain of exit.

AndrewH52
11th Aug 2017, 10:31
No aircraft will be grounded the day the UK leaves the EU. I often fly between SEN and JER. Jersey is neither part of the UK or the EU. Arrangements are made, life goes on. Oh, and there are no border controls either.

MOL will be looking for someway FR can gain from this situation. Perhaps a cut in APD to ease the pain of exit.

Jersey is a British Crown Dependency, defended and internationally represented by the UK. How the relationship between Jersey (and the rest of the Channel Islands) and the EU27 plays out after 29th March 2019 remains to be seen.

The 'things get sorted' attitude completely underestimates the political and legal challenges of extricating ourselves from the single aviation market, and the multitude of international air services agreements tied to it.

compton3bravo
11th Aug 2017, 10:45
I wouldn't be too sure Dave, the EU are going to try and shaft the UK because they don't want anyone else to leave, plus the UK leaving will make a large hole in their coffers. I think a lot of people who voted to leave thought on the Friday after the result those awful foreigners would have to pack their bags straightaway. That is not going to happen and the main sticking point as I see it is the Irish border problem. Ireland is not going to leave the EU so you have got have a border somewhere if not those from continental Europe can fly/ferry to Dublin and get on a train or bus to the north and oh dear we are in the UK. Don't hold your breath if the UK will be leaving the UK in 18 months time.

DC3 Dave
11th Aug 2017, 11:46
There are lots of clever people out there happy to sort it out for a sum equivalent to the GDP of a small nation. There'll be problems - last minute extensions and I certainly don't underestimate the cost to the industry. But I think you'll find FR will still be here when we leave, and if by chance I'm wrong - someone else will fill the void. It's the way the world works.

Sorry, Compton I posted before I read yours. All I know it was I damn sight easier to move around the continent before we joined the EU.

GAZMO
11th Aug 2017, 12:08
compton3bravo
Probably will end up with stricter controls at NI airports and seaports for departing passengers

After all Ryanair insist on passports as official documentation

True Blue
11th Aug 2017, 13:20
No they don't. I use my Citizen Card for ID for domestic flights. Really amuses me why passengers use the most expensive ID document to replace for ID when they don't need to. Great example of herd instinct. Passport yes for international flights.

AirportPlanner1
11th Aug 2017, 13:47
No they don't. I use my Citizen Card for ID for domestic flights. Really amuses me why passengers use the most expensive ID document to replace for ID when they don't need to. Great example of herd instinct. Passport yes for international flights.

They did insist on it for a while and then didn't really make a song and dance about it when the requirement was dropped. So I don't entirely blame people for not realising.

That said, they have accepted other ID for quite a while now.

AirportPlanner1
11th Aug 2017, 13:52
Sorry, Compton I posted before I read yours. All I know it was I damn sight easier to move around the continent before we joined the EU.

Was it? There weren't border stations at every crossing then? You didn't need a passport to fly from Amsterdam to Rome then?

There are many genuine reasons to critique the EU but making movement harder certainly isn't one of them.

Hotel Tango
11th Aug 2017, 14:15
Indeed, I was trying to figure out what DC-3 meant. As one who lives on the European mainland I can tell you that movement became a lot easier as an EU passport holder!

compton3bravo
11th Aug 2017, 14:27
Disagree Dave again, never NEVER had to show my passport across continrntal Europe except for entering or leaving GiB and UK - both non-Schenghen countries - with the UK being the least pleasurable by a long way (that is both by sea and air).Plus I don't think the Northern Irish parties would except stricter controls from one part of the UK to another.
I whole heartedly agree about Ryanair though.

LTNman
11th Aug 2017, 15:36
A bit of thread drift here in the last few posts. As I have already stated Ryanair say one thing and then often do another so it is incorrect to say Brexit has killed off any future new routes out of Belfast.

mart901
11th Aug 2017, 17:58
A bit of thread drift here in the last few posts. As I have already stated Ryanair say one thing and then often do another so it is incorrect to say Brexit has killed off any future new routes out of Belfast.

Totally agree with you, they are masters of hyperbole

SWBKCB
11th Aug 2017, 18:37
Without wanting the thread to drift any further, the big problem is that nobody knows what is going to happen - might be a damp squid and nothing changes for airlines but there is at least the potential for it all to go pear shaped - airlines will need to plan for that and the only winners will be the lawyers...

racedo
11th Aug 2017, 21:48

Ryanair UK Domestic routes, limited though they are, are likely to be a casualty of Brexit. as Ryanair may not wish to use a UK AOC.

DC3 Dave
12th Aug 2017, 00:13
racedo I don't think you're right, but you may be - as SWBKCB says nobody knows. But, if you are right, any abandoned viable routes will soon be serviced by A N Other. And really that's all I mean when I suggest 'life goes on'. I can't say any more because I agree I'm contributing to some unwelcome thread drift.

racedo
12th Aug 2017, 10:51
racedo I don't think you're right, but you may be - as SWBKCB says nobody knows. But, if you are right, any abandoned viable routes will soon be serviced by A N Other. And really that's all I mean when I suggest 'life goes on'. I can't say any more because I agree I'm contributing to some unwelcome thread drift.

There isn't ANY UK Airline out there that has the scope, aircraft or ability to pick up much in the event Ryanair had to abandon many Uk routes.

NorthEasterner
12th Aug 2017, 13:52
If anything was to happen to 'abandon UK routes' it would most likely to be a few days or a week at the most until Ryanair get back onto their feet and sort out an agreement. If Ryanair did abandon routes, that means tourism in the markets they serve will be heavily hit - no country will want that... Probably a reduced schedule for a few days to a week if anything and well planned in advanced.

NorthEasterner
13th Aug 2017, 16:42
Does anyone know when Ryanair will begin to revealing their Summer 18 schedule - none have been done so far AFAIK.

It was Mid July when Ryanair started press releases for their Summer 17 schedules with NCL being their first release I believe.

Seljuk22
14th Aug 2017, 16:52
Based on the regional newspaper "Mallorca Zeitung" FR is now No.1 airline at PMI surpassing AB/HG in the 1st half of 2017.
Ryanair ist neuer König von Mallorca - Mallorca Zeitung (http://www.mallorcazeitung.es/unterwegs/2017/08/12/ryanair-neuer-konig-mallorca/53414.html)

EW, EZY, VY and UX on the following positions.

If this trend continues this newspaper need to establish an English website...

davidjpowell
15th Aug 2017, 08:35

They are certainly more demanding than others on ID front.

Between UK and Ireland you can travel on a photographic Driving License. Well you can with Aer Lingus. As a colleague found out on his return journey you cannot with Ryan Air.

Lon12
15th Aug 2017, 09:21
Does anyone know when Ryanair will begin to revealing their Summer 18 schedule - none have been done so far AFAIK.

It was Mid July when Ryanair started press releases for their Summer 17 schedules with NCL being their first release I believe.

On 17 august last year, Ryanair charged on the website all Italian routes.

occasional
16th Aug 2017, 19:11
Could someone explain how to make a booking on the Ryanair website without logging-in.
I don't know my password and the password recovery facility simply does not work.

DC3 Dave
16th Aug 2017, 20:17
A passport is required to fly from UK to ROI on FR. It's the only ID document option on the drop-down menu when you check-in online.

vikingivesterled
16th Aug 2017, 21:56
Ryanair UK Domestic routes, limited though they are, are likely to be a casualty of Brexit. as Ryanair may not wish to use a UK AOC.

Wouldn't be the first time Ryanair was the holder of a UK AOC. After they took over Buzz they had one for a while to cover the different type of aircraft that came with the deal. It mostly consisted of a bored but official man in an office and everything else was run from Ryanair proper. With their since vastly expanded uk based stuff, including heavy maintenance facilities, they could easily regain one, or buy another.

DC3 Dave
16th Aug 2017, 22:27
That well known subsidiary springs to mind - Ryanair (UK) Ltd. I'm sorry, I did promise not to go on but if Ryanair wish to operate from UK bases after Brexit - they bloody well will. I know several ways to do it and I'm relatively thick (no, in the context of this subject I'm plain thick). They can employ the smartest legal brains around to make it happen. The biggest issue is cost. Far better that FR and others hammer away to ensure that whatever changes take place they are as as seamless and as near the status quo as possible. And who could blame the boss for speaking as he does? Not me, just believe it's best not to take him literally at all times.

Lon12
25th Aug 2017, 14:38
First new route for Summer'18 has been announced today

Budapest-Santander from April 2018

In Spanish...

http://amp.europapress.es/cantabria/noticia-ryanair-conectara-abril-santander-budapest-20170825152500.html

AerRyan
25th Aug 2017, 14:41
Later than usual. Suppose we'll start seeing the releases soon.

inOban
25th Aug 2017, 15:05
They say that flights are bookable six months in advance, so they have until the 25th September!
I would have thought that with the uncertainty over Alitalia, Air Berlin and the UK economy, the LCCs will be leaving it as late as possible to fix their schedules for S18.

HH6702
25th Aug 2017, 15:32
Will Ryanair keep to his word about moving aircraft from UK bases?
He could transfer a load of aircraft overseas in march a year earlier to show the inpacked on the UK...

I think he is all talk but let's see what happens

darren1
25th Aug 2017, 18:20
Plenty of airports to base the excess. I can't see a whole pull out, but certainly a selected retrench. UK airports are going to gave to offer him (O'Leary) a sweetener to stay thanks to the out brigade.

racedo
25th Aug 2017, 20:26
Will Ryanair keep to his word about moving aircraft from UK bases?
He could transfer a load of aircraft overseas in march a year earlier to show the inpacked on the UK...

I think he is all talk but let's see what happens

Bearing in mind Euro - GBP rate could be 1 Euro - 95 pence then UK tourists heading abroad may be hot very hard.

Seljuk22
29th Aug 2017, 17:36
Munich (MUC) will join the Ryanair network with double daily flights to DUB (maybe more destinations to follow?) starting 29th October

inOban
5th Sep 2017, 08:31
August up 10%, LF 97%. It seems to me that they have been restricting capacity growth, so as to increase average fare. Am I right?

5th Sep 2017, 20:11
Aren't they getting the many new planes into service as soon as they can get them?

PPRuNeUser0176
6th Sep 2017, 07:57
Second carry on bag scrapped from November for non priority passengers. Any bags with wheels for non priority will be placed in hold.

Check in fees have been cut and allowance increased.

CVTDog
6th Sep 2017, 12:35
Is there a press release anywhere for this ? (from Ryanair)

Second carry on bag scrapped from November for non priority passengers. Any bags with wheels for non priority will be placed in hold.

Check in fees have been cut and allowance increased.

inOban
6th Sep 2017, 12:44
Ryanair To Lower Checked Bag Fees (& Raise Size Allowance)To Eliminate Boarding Delays ? Non-Priority Customers Must Put 2nd (Bigger) Bag In Hold (Free Of Charge) From November | Ryanair's Corporate Website (http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-lower-checked-bag-fees/)

Mr A Tis
6th Sep 2017, 12:46
As explained by RYR

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/905407748992466945

davidjohnson6
6th Sep 2017, 12:56
What happens to non priority pax who have only a single carry on bag that happens to have wheels ?
Is it allowed or will there be effectively a zero cabin bag policy for these pax ?

CVTDog
6th Sep 2017, 13:46
dj beat me to it - are non priority passengers with one bag only that fits their dimensional (55x40x20) test box have it taken off them ?

What happens to non priority pax who have only a single carry on bag that happens to have wheels ?
Is it allowed or will there be effectively a zero cabin bag policy for these pax ?

6th Sep 2017, 15:38
They can't just find a happy medium, can they?

Alsacienne
6th Sep 2017, 16:07
their dimensional (55x40x20) test box

Caveat emptor! Many airports still have the old box size metal gauge!!

caiman27
6th Sep 2017, 17:32
It appears that Ryanair's less than random seat allocation policy has been rumbled.

Ryanair admits that it tries to 'keep window and aisle seats free' when randomly allocating seats (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/statistics-middle-random-nature-ryanair-seats-allocate-policy/)

I think they are missing a trick here as if they told people that they will probably be allocated a random middle seat it might prompt a few more to fork out for something better.

I actually have no problem with this as I'm happy to pay the small additional amount to have an allocated seat, and given the new rules, to also be sure of getting my carry-on bags carried on.

SWBKCB
6th Sep 2017, 17:38
Not totally clear from the press release, but it looks like one small bag in the cabin for non-priority passengers

We hope that by restricting non-priority customers to one small carry-on bag

1 small (35cm x 20cm x 20cm)

vikingivesterled
6th Sep 2017, 23:28
It appears that Ryanair's less than random seat allocation policy has been rumbled.

If they assign all the middle seats up to 4 days ahead to they who don't pay extra, how will they sell late tickets to families or other type of groups. Do FR think all late bookers are loners.
If they already have delay problems with to much handluggage, a round of musical chairs during boarding, including bag moving, is not going to help the situation. How much ontime are they willing to sacrifice on the altar of ancilliary revenue. Further inflated flighttime in the schedule to acommodate increasing turnaround time is not going to be as positive for utilization(cost) as it is for their official ontime stats.
Flew SAS last week but didn't bother paying extra to choose a seat early. Even though checkin is just from 24hrs before flight, still got 3 out of 4 legs at emergency exits for 2 people sitting together even though all flights pretty full. Long back to the days before priority boarding, assigned seats and double bags when you could lateboard faster FR flights on real 25 minute turnarounds and still nearly always get emergency exit seats. When will an airline take up that lost mantel.

DaveReidUK
7th Sep 2017, 06:37
Not totally clear from the press release, but it looks like one small bag in the cabin for non-priority passengers

The statement linked in post #4056 is pretty unambiguous.

One wonders if an unintended consequence will be people showing up at the gate with "carry-on" that's bigger than the 55x40x20 cm limit, in the knowledge that it will be put in the hold anyway, thereby saving them the checked baggage fee.

wowzz
7th Sep 2017, 11:16
As a layman, won't the loading of, say, 100 cases at the gate cause significant delays? Also, I assume the ground handling agents will require additional payment for this additional workload?

RAT 5
7th Sep 2017, 11:36
As a layman, won't the loading of, say, 100 cases at the gate cause significant delays? Also, I assume the ground handling agents will require additional payment for this additional workload?

Indeed. That was the thinking behind RYR's baggage charge. They sold it on the basis that people with no baggage should not subsidise those who do. RYR has to pay a loading crew. Do they pay per bag? No idea. A loading crew is a loading crew. That's one reason they only load in 1 hold = 1 crew and faster. This then created a pax seating problem whereby they had herded you all into the middle on low load flights: balance.
RYR then teamed up with Samsonite to design a RYR size cabin bag, so as to further reduce loading crew costs, only to find that 140 was the max the hatbins would carry. So baggage was off-loaded. But RYR sold the deal of remote airports & hand baggage on the basis of no waiting at destination for bags. Now they fly to BIG airports where baggage can take 30-45 minutes to arrive, and your hand baggage is taken off you. It might be free, but you'll still have to wait. It would seem the only way to keep control of the situation is to allow only quite small hand-baggage and everything else is in the hold. That way the pax know exactly where they stand; waiting for bags, or not, and planning knows how many hold bags are coming at them.

vikingivesterled
7th Sep 2017, 14:26
[I]But RYR sold the deal of remote airports & hand baggage on the basis of no waiting at destination for bags. Now they fly to BIG airports where baggage can take 30-45 minutes to arrive, and your hand baggage is taken off you. It might be free, but you'll still have to wait.

They could do like SAS on their smaller fligts that don't use air-bridges, and set the gate loaded items out for collection at the bottom of the stairs as you disembark. This way you get the bags out of the cabin but with the advantage for the passenger of less theft risk (no scan of content) and no waiting at carousels.

SWBKCB
7th Sep 2017, 14:36
I too was wondering how these second/'big' wheelie bags get from gate to hold.

and set the gate loaded items out for collection at the bottom of the stairs as you disembark.

Fine on a Regional jet - but on a 738? Could be 100 plus - how do they get there? People milling the apron looking for their bags? nightmare...

vikingivesterled
7th Sep 2017, 14:58
I too was wondering how these second/'big' wheelie bags get from gate to hold.
Fine on a Regional jet - but on a 738? Could be 100 plus - how do they get there? People milling the apron looking for their bags? nightmare...

On SAS they are tagged at gate and carried by passenger to foot of stairs.
We are not talking all the bags, only the medium sized from the non priority.
A nice row prepared while airstairs are put in place, and before disembarking, sorts the milling problem.

7th Sep 2017, 15:24
They're going to end up doing it like Wizz, aren't they? Charging for big hand baggage and allowing small stuff free?

Shamrock350
7th Sep 2017, 16:45
They're going to end up doing it like Wizz, aren't they? Charging for big hand baggage and allowing small stuff free?

Hand baggage is free with Wizz Air from this winter, they encourage you to buy priority boarding to ensure your bag gets in the cabin but aren't enforcing it as strictly as Ryanair appear to be.

racedo
7th Sep 2017, 18:12
Hand baggage is free with Wizz Air from this winter, they encourage you to buy priority boarding to ensure your bag gets in the cabin but aren't enforcing it as strictly as Ryanair appear to be.

As a Wizz air regular I can tell you they are enforcing it.
Bought their privelege pass and proven to be a great payback in seats and bags.

Not surprised FR going this way as people dragging on bigger and bigger bags.

sky9
7th Sep 2017, 18:21
How about under the seat in front or have Ryanair sold that for cargo?

Shamrock350
7th Sep 2017, 19:58
As a Wizz air regular I can tell you they are enforcing it.
Bought their privelege pass and proven to be a great payback in seats and bags.

Not surprised FR going this way as people dragging on bigger and bigger bags.

As a Wizz Air regular myself I can tell you the new bag rules aren't being enforced as they don't come into effect until October 29th...

The new rules allow one standard carry on bag free of charge for all passengers but they can only guarantee the first 90 bags so encourage passengers to purchase priority boarding which ensures your bag gets on board and also allows a smaller second item.

It won't be enforced in the same way as Ryanair where everyone who hasn't purchased priority boarding will have their larger carry on taken off them.

EGAC is Better
7th Sep 2017, 21:24
How about under the seat in front or have Ryanair sold that for cargo?
Under the seat is where your small carry on will go if the overheads are full. Otherwise, you can put it up.

The policy was abused but it also wasn't very well enforced. I watched a passenger shove a huge sports bag into an overhead recently; it basically filled the entire overhead bin. I asked myself how he managed to get it onboard.

racedo
7th Sep 2017, 22:45
As a Wizz Air regular myself I can tell you the new bag rules aren't being enforced as they don't come into effect until October 29th...

The new rules allow one standard carry on bag free of charge for all passengers but they can only guarantee the first 90 bags so encourage passengers to purchase priority boarding which ensures your bag gets on board and also allows a smaller second item.

It won't be enforced in the same way as Ryanair where everyone who hasn't purchased priority boarding will have their larger carry on taken off them.

Current wizz rules on small bag v big bag are being enforced.
But then again it depends on the airports one ia using.

Shamrock350
8th Sep 2017, 00:24
Current wizz rules on small bag v big bag are being enforced.
But then again it depends on the airports one ia using.

Yep but I was referring to Wizz Air's new rules due to come into effect at the same time as the new Ryanair policy. A fair comparison.

Note I said "this winter" in relation to Wizz:

I'm well aware Wizz enforce their current rules quite strictly but from November onwards they'll be more relaxed while Ryanair gets tougher, claiming anyone without priority boarding will have their larger item taken off them at the gate. The two are moving in opposite directions with regards to baggage.

racedo
8th Sep 2017, 21:30
I'm well aware Wizz enforce their current rules quite strictly but from November onwards they'll be more relaxed while Ryanair gets tougher, claiming anyone without priority boarding will have their larger item taken off them at the gate. The two are moving in opposite directions with regards to baggage.

Only difference is timing as they will follow eventually.

M-JCS
9th Sep 2017, 07:22
I still can't help but think that there is something deceptive in the EasyJet / Ryanair policy regarding carry-on bags. It all started out years ago with strict bag size measurement at the gate, oversize bags being tagged for the hold, and a hold baggage charge imposed. Now oversize/excess bags are being put into the hold free of charge, either at the gate or after boarding, much to the chagrin of those passengers who properly checked their bags, paying the hold baggage fee. I can understand very well if those passengers feel as though they have been abused by the carrier.

DaveReidUK
9th Sep 2017, 07:43
I still can't help but think that there is something deceptive in the EasyJet / Ryanair policy regarding carry-on bags. It all started out years ago with strict bag size measurement at the gate, oversize bags being tagged for the hold, and a hold baggage charge imposed. Now oversize/excess bags are being put into the hold free of charge, either at the gate or after boarding, much to the chagrin of those passengers who properly checked their bags, paying the hold baggage fee. I can understand very well if those passengers feel as though they have been abused by the carrier.

In all likelihood that's the gate staff (who are probably not Ryanair employees) taking the line of least resistance.

If they let oversize carry-ons on board, they will get grief from the cabin crew when it's found that they won't fit in the overheads. If they try to extract the £50/€50 at the gate, they will risk a boarding delay.

Far quicker just to tag the bag for the hold and pretend the passenger has volunteered to give it up, with probably no repercussions.

I suspect that some passengers who fly RYR regularly have sussed this and take advantage of it. Even being caught out occasionally, you're probably still quids in overall.

Mr A Tis
9th Sep 2017, 08:38
Isn't it time this baggage nonsense was ended? The likes of RYR, EZY , Jet2, Wizz etc often charge more for checked baggage than the passenger. There is simply far too much heavy baggage in the cabin. The overheads used to be hatracks not luggage containers.
This faff of off loading bags etc takes so much time, the weight above peoples heads is hardly safe in the event of an accident and of course in an evacuation everyone is getting the bags out.
Stop penalising people with hefty baggage fees (even if it means a slight increase in pax fees) and get all the luggage in the hold, which is where it should be- safely stowed.

Rob Royston
9th Sep 2017, 09:52
Isn't it time this baggage nonsense was ended? The likes of RYR, EZY , Jet2, Wizz etc often charge more for checked baggage than the passenger. There is simply far too much heavy baggage in the cabin. The overheads used to be hatracks not luggage containers.

Maybe all airlines should include hold baggage in the fares and make a hefty charge for cabin baggage. You see passengers on long distance flights bringing three pieces of luggage into the economy cabin, then the flight attendants move other passengers coats and small bags to pack them into the bins.

milhouse999
9th Sep 2017, 10:10
This faff of off loading bags etc takes so much time, the weight above peoples heads is hardly safe in the event of an accident and of course in an evacuation everyone is getting the bags out.
Stop penalising people with hefty baggage fees (even if it means a slight increase in pax fees) and get all the luggage in the hold, which is where it should be- safely stowed.

I actually completeley agree with everything you have just said.

What also amazes me, is Ryanair and Easy both advertise cabin baggage as having 'NO WEIGHT LIMIT' but only a size limit.

So someone can technically take a lead weight in a small bag and stick it in the OH bins. Those bins have as strict weight limit I'm sure from the manufacturer, so it's a totally irresponsible thing to advertise. God forbid a bracket fails and the whole lot comes down.

And when it happens: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3361951/Airline-passenger-left-fighting-life-hit-head-bag-fell-overhead-compartment-plane-taxied-off.html

PROOF: http://c8.alamy.com/comp/FY6EJ3/easyjet-bag-size-frame-cage-tester-to-measure-dimensions-of-passenger-FY6EJ3.jpg

carousel
9th Sep 2017, 14:05
Think how much faster security would be if only people and one piece of small hand luggage were being processed, instead of one pax with one hold bag one cabin bag and hand/man bag plus various electronic gismo's and gadgets. I have seen one pax take 15 min's and 6 trays before now!

LAX_LHR
9th Sep 2017, 14:29
I agree that hand luggage is getting out of control.

Even with these bag sizers, the size of some of the 'hand bags' are bloody massive, and the things people taking in them is getting more random too.

In my travels, I have been stuck behind people carrying:

-a satellite dish
-brake disks for a car
-a bag full of rocks/pebbles (no, I'm not joking in the slightest)
-a full car wing mirror, indicator lights and all
-a microwave oven
-an angle grinder

And my personal favourite, a bag full of oversize liquids, like shower gels, shampoos, drinks and more, there was literally nothing else in their bag, but they still protested to say 'why can't I take this, these rules are ridiculous!

It's time hand baggage was scaled back down. Either the things you need for a very short city break, or, things you need for your flight and that's it! We didn't self implode, or shrivel up in a corner for the short period we were not allowed to carry hand luggage at all, so, we can do it again.

RAT 5
9th Sep 2017, 16:14
Back to the future. Were there problems >18 years ago? It was about then that baggage charges started and all this kerfuffle started. KISS. Look at the profit of some LoCo and it equals the amount of their add-on charges. What a coincidence.

DaveReidUK
9th Sep 2017, 17:22
Even with these bag sizers, the size of some of the 'hand bags' are bloody massive

Are you saying that the bag sizers don't work, and that you can get bigger-than-regulation-size bags into them ?

Or that they do work, but only when they are used ?

NorthEasterner
9th Sep 2017, 17:28
Metal gauge Sizers are used. However it is not possible to check every single bag especially under the time pressure gate staff have. I'm talking from personal experience here as an ex gate agent. If you come across a pax with oversized bag it takes a good 5-10 mins to get the £/€50 payment especially if paying by card. I used to rigorously enforce the 90 bag rule any pax refusing to put bag in hold or pay up was refused travel.

LAX_LHR
9th Sep 2017, 18:09
I'm saying that the bag sizers don't seem to be policed/used the way they used to.

On the vast majority of my flights, I see lots of bags that no way in Hell would they fit into the baggage sizers, not in a million years. And those bags only just fit into the overhead lockers. I've even seen some larger bags having to be put inside larger storages on some flights!

As said in the post above, in the age of the 25 minute turn around, it seems staff are reluctant to hold that process up to police the bag sizes (obviously some do, but not all).

I would say that another issue for checking cabin bag size is the on line check in and self bag drop process. This means that apart from security which is nothing to do with the airline, the gate staff are the first airline representatives passengers see, and thus a fair few people get away with it.

RobsonCanolo
9th Sep 2017, 19:51
And my personal favourite, a bag full of oversize liquids, like shower gels,Question when does a liquid become a solid. For example when a liquid is more viscous or greater than a standard Greek Joghurt it's no longer classified as a liquid. So you can bring unlimited quantities - constrained only by the mass limitations or the physical dimensions of the bag?

DaveReidUK
10th Sep 2017, 00:12
Question when does a liquid become a solid. For example when a liquid is more viscous or greater than a standard Greek Joghurt it's no longer classified as a liquid. So you can bring unlimited quantities - constrained only by the mass limitations or the physical dimensions of the bag?

Good luck trying to get more than 100ml of yogurt, regardless of how thick it is, through security at any major airport.

jpta2000
10th Sep 2017, 07:55
12 new routes from Malta next summer. Three routes (Belfast, Naples and Riga) actually start Winter 17. Barcelona seems to be just a switch from GRO to BCN.
The new routes are Aberdeen, Belfast, Seville, Pescara, Bratislava, Gothenburg, Paris Beauvais, Porto, Tallin and extended services to Barcelona, Naples and Riga.
https://www.timesofmalta.com/mobile/articles/view/20170910/local/ryanair-to-introduce-12-new-malta-routes.657679

racedo
10th Sep 2017, 09:56
12 new routes from Malta next summer. Three routes (Belfast, Naples and Riga) actually start Winter 17. Barcelona seems to be just a frequency increase.
The new routes are Aberdeen, Belfast, Seville, Pescara, Bratislava, Gothenburg, Paris Beauvais, Porto, Tallin and extended services to Barcelona, Naples and Riga.
https://www.timesofmalta.com/mobile/articles/view/20170910/local/ryanair-to-introduce-12-new-malta-routes.657679

Keep wanting to visit Malta...................... may finally take the opportunity.

EGAC is Better
10th Sep 2017, 15:07
Couple of things that spring to mind when reading the recent responses above;

1. Electronics with lithium batteries cannot go in the hold due to fire risks. Almost eveyone carries at least one these days. This needs to be factored in when people carry one cabin bag with everything in it.

2. I'm one of those people with two bags. I (or my company) pay for the privelidge. 1x size compliant case and a bag of all my electronics (for under the seat in front). Given that I pay my way; it is somewhat infuriating to see people bring onboard 1 huge bag that takes more space than my 2 and they didn't pay a penny.

If you come across a pax with oversized bag it takes a good 5-10 mins to get the £/€50 payment especially if paying by card. 3. Simple solution, "sir/madam your bag does not comply with the rules. Please join the end of the queue and we will deal with it when everyone else is processed". If they miss their flight as a result, it's their own fault for not complying with the rules.

carousel
10th Sep 2017, 15:11
RobsonCanolo
For information taken from HM Gov. website,
Liquids include:

all drinks, including water
liquid or semi-liquid foods, for example soup, jam, honey and syrups
cosmetics and toiletries, including creams, lotions, oils, perfumes, mascara and lip gloss
sprays, including shaving foam, hairspray and spray deodorants
pastes, including toothpaste
gels, including hair and shower gel
contact lens solution
any other solutions and items of similar consistency Just so you know!
Plus of course anything security staff require for breakfast!

SWBKCB
10th Sep 2017, 15:13
3. Simple solution, "sir/madam your bag does not comply with the rules. Please join the end of the queue and we will deal with it when everyone else is processed". If they miss their flight as a result, it's their own fault for not complying with the rules.

What do you do if they've also got a checked bag? It'd need to be off loaded.

EGAC is Better
10th Sep 2017, 16:06
What do you do if they've also got a checked bag? It'd need to be off loaded.

Very valid and fair point that I hadn't thought about. There probably is no easy way but I can think of a couple. Get people to the gate sooner and check hand bags earlier, inform loading crew not to load bags belonging to passengers x, y and z whilst addressing problem? Or, the hand bag is inspected by the bag drop agent who wil be engaged at the time of taking the hold luggage?

If airlines are complaining that passengers are causing delays due to short turn times, spend more time vetting in the terminal before the problem enters the aircraft.

davidjohnson6
10th Sep 2017, 16:52
Airports tend to prefer that gate agents do not call passengers to a gate more than about 45 mins before a flight's departure. Once passengers see a gate advertised for their flight they tend to abandon their shopping - which means loss of revenue for the airport; plenty of airports will enforce rules against gates being published too early. Of course most airports can be persuaded to be flexible on this - if the airline agrees to pay higher airport fees !

racedo
10th Sep 2017, 18:30
? Or, the hand bag is inspected by the bag drop agent who wil be engaged at the time of taking the hold luggage?

On a recent flight not LCC we had to check in at counter, asked to see and weigh bags.

If checking in bags then no excuse Not to check rest of bags.

mik3bravo
10th Sep 2017, 23:45
Are you saying that the bag sizers don't work, and that you can get bigger-than-regulation-size bags into them ?

Or that they do work, but only when they are used ?

Personally, very rarely do I see FR staff at boarding gate checking and disallowing oversized carry on bags. It has definitely become out of control. The second smaller policy is definitely being abused and it's widespread. Cocks it up for the rest of us as these passengers pander round the cabin looking for bag space in the overheads. It's a real pain when people are still dicking about with 5 minutes to go on the slot time to push back. Madness.

davidjohnson6
11th Sep 2017, 06:43
Air Malta talking about cross selling of flights with Ryanair

Rob Royston
11th Sep 2017, 08:45
The second smaller policy is definitely being abused and it's widespread. Cocks it up for the rest of us as these passengers pander round the cabin looking for bag space in the overheads. It's a real pain when people are still dicking about with 5 minutes to go on the slot time to push back. Madness.Would it help if the bins were allocated to specific seats? If your bin was full when you arrived the attendants would identify the rogue bag(s) and take them to an alternative storage. They could take the owner's ID so that they would be sent a fee for the extra service by the airline.

RobsonCanolo
11th Sep 2017, 13:18
Carousel thanks for the info. A proper honey is thick, or so i am led to believe anyway, so no chance for the Joghurt it looks like unless you check the bag.

DaveReidUK
11th Sep 2017, 16:49
Personally, very rarely do I see FR staff at boarding gate checking and disallowing oversized carry on bags. It has definitely become out of control.

Personally, very rarely do I see FR staff at the boarding gate, period. More often than not it's the handling agent's staff.

That may or may not have some bearing on how often you see baggage checks being made,

mik3bravo
12th Sep 2017, 06:24
Personally, very rarely do I see FR staff at the boarding gate, period. More often than not it's the handling agent's staff.

That may or may not have some bearing on how often you see baggage checks being made,

I've certainly witnessed Swissport personnel or A N Other agent present at gates but I can't say I've witnessed a gate where a Ryanair employee is not present. I tend to see them prechecking priority lane pax to ensure pax are in the correct line prior to gate opening.

I think the problem is they just do not take a closer look at the sometimes ridiculous none cabin compliant baggage some pax decide to take a chance taking on board.

As another poster commented earlier in this thread, if Ryanair actually tackled this sort of stupidity at source then the chaos that ensues on board will be solved.

Alternatively, if pax do not abide by the basic rules then fine, just reduce the carry on cabin bags to first 50 pax and everyone else, your **** goes in the hold,tag, drop, board. Simple.

I can't understand why people are so remedial in following the basics. It's a bus in the sky. Pay buttons, drop the bag at the steps, board.

I don't use FR that often but when I do I always go priority allocated seat and got front row seat to witness the sort of non compliant bags a lot of pax are allowed take on board and the friction created as pax frantically hunt for bin space whilst 95% of pax are seated and buckled in. It's bonkers this is allowed continue. It's black & white in my view, there are rules, you follow them, or get off.

*** Actually - I'll add to this, if any of you are familiar with the Cityjet approach to cabin bags at the gate, you'll know WX are very efficient in tackling this issue. Bags are ruthlessly inspected at the gate a good bit ahead of boarding. Bags are tagged and you leave it on the trolley trailer at the aircraft steps, you pick it up at the aircraft steps at other end. There are no flash points or arguments on board with bin space. Pax buckle up in orderly manner, off stand within allocated slot time. It just bloody works like clockwork. No grief, it's dignified and calm.