PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - 9

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

davidjohnson6
3rd Apr 2013, 09:27
Cyrano -I had a conversation with someone who manages much of the website + app look-and-feel for a very large consumer travel company. He mentioned that sales through apps were significant enough to be worthy of a fair bit of his time.

Suppose Ryanair did a commission based deal on creating their website and charged people to access their website but booking by phone was free - what effect would that have on sales ?

An app may be a bit of a toy but it's ultimately a sales channel. Companies should make it easy to buy their product but I guess Ryanair have a different view of things...

racedo
3rd Apr 2013, 22:39
I know a paid for app means revenue, but I'm puzzled why if Ryanair spent money to build an app as a sales channel, they are so keen on people using the website rather than the app. Anyone know the marketing dept's thinking on this ?

Depends on what you see both of them for...........

I guess having an app designed for people who wish to book flights is one thing

But you may regard the website as not just being about booking flights but doing the whole package including Accom / Car Hire / Parking etc etc

It will be interesting on the stats for those who booked flights on app v website at the end of the year to see if it really is a sales channel or a fad.

barrymah
4th Apr 2013, 09:33
Haven't tried the app(wouldn't pay €3 for any app) so I'm not familiar, but the thought struck me that maybe there are not as many 'opportunities' to bleed more revenue out of punters who use the app??
Finger problems on the site must generate some revenue -like buying insurance when you don't want any :)

CCFAIRPORT
9th Apr 2013, 15:45
New:Montpellier, Mediterranee (MPL) to Dublin (DUB)
New:Montpellier, Mediterranee (MPL) to Cork (ORK)
New:Montpellier, Mediterranee (MPL) to Shannon (SNN)

Restarted:Zaragoza (ZAZ) to Tenerife, Sur Reina Sofia (TFS)

Jack1985
9th Apr 2013, 15:57
Montpellier routes to ORK, DUB, SNN are for the Heineken Cup semi-final.

danielson81
9th Apr 2013, 20:33
Incident: Ryanair B738 at Krakow on Mar 31st 2013, tail scrape on takeoff (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=46021ada&opt=0&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Ditto - 9th April at LMML:

Ryanair plane returns to Malta after take-off mishap - timesofmalta.com (http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130409/local/ryanair-plane-returns-to-malta-after-take-off-mishap.464876)

letterman112
10th Apr 2013, 07:35
Michael O´Leary at press conferences today at BRS, FMO and SXB. Are there any news to announce?

EDIT: Media report (austrianaviation.net/Facebook): FR will base two jets in the next two years at BRS. If succesful the base maybe will grow up with up to ten jets.

Severn
10th Apr 2013, 09:19
letterman112 - That should read a new base at BTS not BRS which is already a base.

yeo valley
10th Apr 2013, 09:44
james 909
i heard roumers about brs last week so will see with interest if its comes true.

letterman112
10th Apr 2013, 12:08
BTS (Bratislava) is right - sorry!

Opening of the base will be in 2014/2015 as austrianaviation.net reports (after starting delivery of the new 737-order).

Further informations (in german) here:

Austrian Aviation Net: O'Leary: Basis in BTS ab 2014/15 (http://austrianaviation.net/news-regional/news-detail/datum/2013/04/10/oleary-basis-in-bts-ab-201415.html)

EI-A330-300
10th Apr 2013, 19:42
Ryanair are being taken to court by two cabin crew based in Norway because of working conditions and abrupt dismissal.

Ryanair turbulence lands in Parliament : Views and News from Norway (http://www.newsinenglish.no/2013/04/10/ryanair-turbulence-lands-in-storting/)

Meanwhile Ryaniar are looking for 770,000 refund in VAT for professional services related to Aer Lingus take over bid in 2006.

Ryanair seeking (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-seeking-770000-in-vat-refund-over-unsuccessful-2006-bid-for-aer-lingus-29187977.html)

pee
16th Apr 2013, 09:49
Motivated by a sincere desire to help I quite often advise people how to get from A to B using different airlines, rail connections etc., eagerly promoting the travelling. I do not try to avoid Ryanair, I rather tend to encourage the use of their flights, where economically reasonable. It used to be a pleasant hobby, but yesterday I spent almost three hours convincing a group of people to choose Ryanair. They finally decided to take advantage of my advice, but you know what? For the first time I got enough. A couple of hours took telling everybody it's not as shabby airline as their own-inflicted publicity would suggest. Had to explain that there are no standing places, no WC fees, no mounting unpredicted taxes and fees, yet getting them believe has been very tough. I cannot rule out that people in Finland take more seriously than others some typical publicity stunts produced by MOL's team, but I do notice the change of attitudes over the years to the detriment of FR. Even if true that "no publicity is bad publicity", it's pretty hard to convert the accumulated bad publicity into good - and that's what I can observe nowadays.

Need a break now. :ouch:

Jorik
18th Apr 2013, 14:09
From Wizz Air website:
Please be informed that all Wizz Air Warsaw flights will operate to/from Warsaw Chopin airport (WAW) until 26 October.

Ryanair still no change, so will be operating to WAW until June 30. Wonder whether they have to delay this as well.

DublinPole
18th Apr 2013, 15:59
Very old News:
Ryanair and Wizz Air forced to delay Modlin service resumption again - ch-aviation.ch (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/news/17247-ryanair-and-wizz-air-forced-to-delay-modlin-service-resumption-again)

Wizz said in Early March they'll extend their stay at WAW until 26 October, but could come back earlier if the runway work is done earlier as it was scheduled to finish in late June. However it's already believed to be a few weeks behind schedule due to the extended winter weather.

EI-A330-300
19th Apr 2013, 12:47
Ryanair?s O?Leary ?still committed? to developing USA service - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanairs-oleary-still-committed-to-developing-usa-service-29208080.html)

Not included in that article but flights will be from Europe and not Ireland as he says the market is "to small" for a loco service.

djfwells
21st Apr 2013, 20:47
It seems that the Association of Valenican Housewives have had their Court case against sexism by Ryanair thrown out of court - Again. Didn't they pull exactly the same trick last year ?

Tumbit - Blog Mr Grumpy : In Support of Ryanair (http://www.tumbit.com/blogs/1784-mr-grumpy-in-support-of-ryanair.html)

EI-DAC
22nd Apr 2013, 11:59
Any news about winter schedules?

gunner14
22nd Apr 2013, 12:22
going to cheltenham this year on friday 15th March I landed in birmingham airport around 7.15am, I spoke with a bus driver ouitside the terminal who was waiting on a Ryanair flight from Dublin, he told me the flight was diverted to Liverpool, O Leary brought the passengers to Aintree instead of Cheltenham for the Gold Cup as he would quip himself, does anyone know why such as short flight was diverted that day causing a long day for the passengers.

smith
23rd Apr 2013, 18:57
Ryanair?s O?Leary ?still committed? to developing USA service - Independent.ie

The first transatlantic route be announced is London, Birmingham International to New York, Halifax.

FRatSTN
24th Apr 2013, 20:23
Ryanair has confirmed the long rumoured flights to Montenegro. They will fly from Brussels-Charleroi to Podgorica from 20th June 2013.

Ryanair also say they will start flying to Tivat, also in Montenegro in summer 2014.

Ryanair Launches Flights To/From Montenegro (Country No 29) (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-launches-flights-to-from-montenegro-country-no-29)

boyzinblue
25th Apr 2013, 07:32
New Routes:Köln-Bonn to TenerifeMemmingen to Tenerife.In an interview with the Frankfurt Allgemeine MOL said that FR will fly to 5-6 "new" airports in Germany. FR will leave Berlin due to high charges. Currently in talks with 20 German airports."New" airports could be "old" ones, Rostock, Friedrichshafen, Erfurt, Altenburg or Zweibrücken. I reckon Dresden and Kassel will be new.

boyzinblue
25th Apr 2013, 08:26
new: Linz to Tenerife. Anyone know why Nürnberg is off the route map?

FRatSTN
25th Apr 2013, 16:09
I can't say I expected that one but still good to see.

I'm not sure what you mean about Nuremberg, it was on the route map and flights bookable when I just checked, perhaps a glitch earlier??

tugga_5
25th Apr 2013, 20:11
Anyone heard any updates on the EDI-XRY and DUB-XRY routes?

j636
29th Apr 2013, 18:04
New routes from both FR Stockholme airports to TFS and LPA from late Oct/early Nov.

NOC may being going seasonal.

FRatSTN
29th Apr 2013, 18:47
I believe they will also be flying from Manchester to Palma de Mallorca through the winter as well this year.

sawtooth
29th Apr 2013, 18:57
j636 which NOC route is going seasonal, neither LPA/TFS operated last winter?

j636
29th Apr 2013, 19:00
j636 which NOC route is going seasonal, neither LPA/TFS operated last winter?

I just heard crew on a recent FR flight from TFS talking about some routes and they said that NOC is going seasonal. Wasn't aware it didn't operate last winter so now I don't know what they ment by seasonal.

OAD
2nd May 2013, 17:02
Alicante-Haugesund, round trip, going on 11th June, back 29th June, 201 €.
There is nothing to see in Haugesund, you would like to go to Bergen, Voss, Flåm, so then you need Kystbussen to go to Bergen 65€ round trip, 3 hours trip for 140 km. for 100€ more you fly more comfortable and respected with other carriers straight to Bergen, for 100 bucks I don't change. I don't understand why people still uses "****yair", I used it 2 times, and 1 more my wife, we promised not to fly with them anymore, and of course, being a responsible customers not buying from slavers.
One more thing, this http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gifairline, gets millions in tax money from provinces and communities around Europe, just to fly to remote airports, and make those airports with a little of activity, like many ghost airports, monuments of corruption in Spain.
So,
First, we are treated as costumers like idiots.
Second, they lower prices, on people's back, the workers suffer too much to keep the airline profitable, for who??, only for share holders.
Third, the government uses the money intended for social investment, to make a private company profitable.
As a consumer, tax payer, and generally speaking "citizen", I don't see the reason to buy a ticket from this bunch of pirates.

FRatSTN
2nd May 2013, 17:19
If you don't like Ryanair, then don't fly with them. Don't rake up all the excuses you can why you think they shouldn't even exist.

I fly with Ryanair at least twice a year and never had a problem. Flying with them from EMA - FAO this summer because:
a) they are reliable in terms of punctuality
b) flying from a local airport (not big/near major city, but LOCAL)
c) great departure time (09:30am, return home 15:50)
d) they had the best price because we don't see the need to take a 20kg bag each

I don't want or expect anything other than that for a 2 and a half hour flight across Europe. The main reason why people don't like Ryanair is because they expect the service of BA but with a Ryanair price!

OAD
2nd May 2013, 17:45
Nothing more out of what I wrote.
I want an airline, or any kind of business, which can make money not exploiting workers, or making the prices lower because workers have to pay for things that they shouldn't pay.
Can you imagine a doctor paying for an scalpel or an electric company worker has to pay for his/her gear, or tools.
Buying a ticket from Ryan air is like buying clothing from an store which produces in places like Bangladesh, when you buy a ticket in Ryan air you promote that somebody can treat employees like they do.

Dick Fisher
2nd May 2013, 18:58
OAD is barking up the wrong tree here.

No deal with local airport owners across Europe by Ryanair has been arrived at without the consent of both parties - or do Ryanair simply hold a gun to the heads of the owners in order to have their dastardly way? In other words, it takes two to party.

I really do believe that any subsidies offered by local tourist organisations are outweighed by the volume of traffic/passengers deposited in the local area. Let's talk about one area I know, which I fly to regularly using Ryanair.

Carcassonne is a lovely little town in Southern France. If you choose to drive there, it's a day and a half from most parts of the UK - that's if you knew where it was! And why would you go there unless you had studied the local area and decided it was exactly right for you?

Fly there with Ryanair to see whether it takes your fancy and stay for a week. You would as an individual, bring a value of say 125 euro per day (a modest amount) to the local economy - 875 euro over a week. Now multiply that by say 160 passengers per flight, and (I estimate) 30 flights per week. Total is 4.2m euro per week. I suspect that any politician worth his salt would be wowed by that kind of result, while being totally unable to replicate it!

This is an area which was mainly agricultural until Ryanair decided, with the help of the local tourist agency, to start using an underused resource (a reasonable airport) in a place which offers all kinds of interesting things for visitors to do.

The results from this iniquitous arrangement are as follows; an improved airport which I think now serves eight locations across Europe; an economy which has benefited enormously from a mutually acceptable commercial arrangement; jobs at Ryanair, the Airport and in local businesses.

And when this turns out to be such a bad arrangement, any party to the agreement can I'm certain, walk away from the deal.

I might add that I have no relationship with Ryanair apart from that of a satisfied customer.

Hangar6
2nd May 2013, 19:02
Great post and explains in end user terms just why FR have got it right !

Hangar6
2nd May 2013, 19:18
And yet every now and then ........

FR vat refund court case defeated €707,000 owed to revenue Roi
Over EI bid work

Sorry Ducksie tats another few cents down
The tubes on te mad obsession...

FRatSTN
2nd May 2013, 19:41
I used it 2 times, and 1 more my wife, we promised not to fly with them anymore, and of course, being a responsible customers not buying from slavers.

I'm sorry but are you saying that the 80 million people a year who fly with Ryanair are not responsible? I've heard people in the past saying that people who fly with Ryanair are not responsible and how it infuriates me!

How is a passenger who chooses to travel with just the neccessities, and a basic service, forgetting the luxuries in return for a lower cost flight being irresponsible? I make that, both economically and environmentally more responsible, and sustainable.

Forget the FR model and subsidies from local governments etc. for a minute. Just explain how THE CONSUMER is being irresponsible by flying with Ryanair...

OAD
3rd May 2013, 08:23
Being sustainable and economic, doesn't mean not to respect the rights of workers, or to play with the needs of having a job of people in south Europe. If you are unemployed for years, with children, you grip whatever job, then after a while you realize you are in a nightmare, or in a rat race.
That is Ryan air "a big rat race"
Everybody in the airline industry knows how companies like ryanair behave, with the work force. Turning the face out of the problem doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist anymore.
And yes, 80 million can be irresponsible, like people buying clothing made in poor countries, with almost slave work force, or buying cheap electronic, made with coltan or lithium from Congo, countries with almost slave work force, that is irresponsible, people who never suffered, things like going barefoot to the school, or with the stomach empty for days, or just there is no school, or state to protect the rights, will never think 80 million can be irresponsible. The blindness of the medium class in developed countries is very irresponsible. It is the same blindness when we don't want to hear or read about Ryan air, ryan air is the worst employer in Europe's airlines.
Yes, I am with the subsides to develop certain regions or industries, there is nothing wrong with that, if a company can not do a job respecting all what is concerned in its field, the state can subsidize, but if after getting the tax payers money, the companies still don't respect the worker's rights or pay crappy salaries, they are just stilling money from tax payers.

OAD
3rd May 2013, 08:25
One more thing if you INFURIATES with people's opinions, YOU are the one who have a problem.

airadio
3rd May 2013, 12:43
Aww did you get turned down by Ryan:} i have no problems with them but you seem to be paranoid

OAD
3rd May 2013, 12:58
;) I never applied to ryan, I will never do it

FRatSTN
3rd May 2013, 14:46
OAD.

a) Never at any point did I state you had a problem so I don't know why you are emphasising that I have.

b) What infuriates me (as I've said before) is the lack of analysis and just jumping to conclusions. Simply concluding the customers are irresponsible by flying Ryanair because of how the company magages its workforce is a classic example of that! How companies manage their workforce is internal information and companies don't tend to share a lot of that information.

c) The sad but truthful fact... Exploitation of workers happens through trade right across the world, as you quite nicely illustrate. Unfortuneately, as much as we try to change this, it will always be a problem. That's just the world we live in.

I'm not entirely sure though how that directly links to Ryanair. Yes they pay lower saleries and and make staff pay for their own food/drink etc. but they are one of the indutry's biggest employers in the world. The workers still have rights, if they were so unhappy then why have I never known Ryanair to have a single strike.

It's just how Ryanair trades competitively, through cost cutting in any way they can. In a case of "trade vs aid", aid wins hands down for you, since you support the subsidies but in any measure to trade more competitvely, you call people irresponsible or say they have no rights. Trade is never fair no matter how you do it. The only fair trade is no trade!

fireflybob
3rd May 2013, 16:54
but they are one of the indutry's biggest employers in the world. The workers still have rights, if they were so unhappy then why have I never known Ryanair to have a single strike.

FRatSTN, Depends how one defines "employers" and "rights". Many of those who work for Ryanair do so on a self employed basis which means, I believe, they do not have the same "rights" as contracted employees.

Concerning strikes, such action is more organised and also less vulnerable to the individual where there is union representation.

OAD
3rd May 2013, 20:48
a) yes, you don't mention that I have a problem, I mentioned you have a problem when people's opinions infuriate you.
b) what I wrote is not just a lack of analysis and just jumping to conclusions, I studied very much about economics, social studies, etc., so much to explain here. You don't need to wait until ryan air publishes how they treat its work force, what it will never do, every single person who gets out of, will tell you, "awful", it's a matter of fact.
c) I know I am nothing in this world, but at least I don't cooperate with business like that.

It's not about food and drink, that is nothing, but ryan air is one of the biggest???,:hmm: I give you a link World's largest airlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_largest_airlines) it comes up only by passengers, but by fleet size and employees ryan air is nothing.
Many workers in ryan air are self employed, and saying the word "union" is getting fired virtually on the spot
Trade is competition, right, but not exploitation, with that thinking the cotton producers in south USA, using slavers, they were the best traders, give me a break.
Yes, subsidies are ok, to boost a certain part of the economy until it works by it self. Not boosting companies profits forever.

Study and read more books. Real books. I you excuse me I recommend you one book "Grand Manila" by Kjartan Fløgstad

Sorry, I end this issue.

FRatSTN
3rd May 2013, 21:16
Sorry, I end this issue.

Good. If you choose to not fly with Ryanair because you hold that view then that's fine, but don't be so judgemental and go condemning all the customers who think differently to you!

racedo
3rd May 2013, 21:32
Being sustainable and economic, doesn't mean not to respect the rights of workers, or to play with the needs of having a job of people in south Europe. If you are unemployed for years, with children, you grip whatever job, then after a while you realize you are in a nightmare, or in a rat race.
That is Ryan air "a big rat race"
Everybody in the airline industry knows how companies like ryanair behave, with the work force. Turning the face out of the problem doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist anymore.
And yes, 80 million can be irresponsible, like people buying clothing made in poor countries, with almost slave work force, or buying cheap electronic, made with coltan or lithium from Congo, countries with almost slave work force, that is irresponsible, people who never suffered, things like going barefoot to the school, or with the stomach empty for days, or just there is no school, or state to protect the rights, will never think 80 million can be irresponsible. The blindness of the medium class in developed countries is very irresponsible. It is the same blindness when we don't want to hear or read about Ryan air, ryan air is the worst employer in Europe's airlines.
Yes, I am with the subsides to develop certain regions or industries, there is nothing wrong with that, if a company can not do a job respecting all what is concerned in its field, the state can subsidize, but if after getting the tax payers money, the companies still don't respect the worker's rights or pay crappy salaries, they are just stilling money from tax payers.

Really so how exactly has the hundreds of millions in aid by Govts to legacy airlines benefited the travelling public ? Bloated salaries, overinflated pensions and looking after politicians while fares kept artificially high.

You seem to have a gripe claiming that Ryanair get aid where as the Catalan Govt was quite happy to fund Spanair via various means, National airlines get Govt inspired assistance whether its through Slot allocation at national airports, atc inspired preferences and subsidies by forcing civil servants to fly certain airlines at max price.

A million by a regional Govt to Ryanair will ensure lots of routes and lots of new passengers into an underused airport already paid for which as pointed out will have a direct multiplier into the local economy.

Using emotive terms like slave labour show you really have no arguement only rhetoric which isn't new or original......................change the record.

Skipness One Echo
3rd May 2013, 23:43
Key issue is the CEO at Ryanair is remarkably honest and forthright in his views. He doesn't play the game the old way, like say Air France and some of the other legacies. They have done tremendous things for people who know how to travel and managed to upset a whole load of people who er....don't.

There's a load of airports and jobs that wouldn't even be there without MOL and his company. The jobs might be poorly paid and the hours long but have a wee look around at our whole continent as we fall into decline, irrelevance and decacdance (that's enough - Ed).

Travel, jobs, commerce. Beggars can't be choosers. New aeroplane, cheap fare, credit card as back up. If you're getting overly worked up about Ryanair I could PM you a list of companies doing the planet and society an awful lot more harm.

dublinaviator
4th May 2013, 12:36
Anyone who compares the staff situation in Ryanair to that of slave labour in Asian clothing factories really needs to catch themselves on. Sensationalist is an understatement for bullsh*tters like OAD. Ryanair may not the best employer in Europe, but its by no means the worst.

Anyway, interesting article from CAPA on the potential for future growth in Germany for Ryanair:

No hamburgers or frankfurters, but Ryanair will be serving Germany more | CAPA - Centre for Aviation (http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/no-hamburgers-or-frankfurters-but-ryanair-will-be-serving-germany-more-107944)

WOWBOY
5th May 2013, 16:21
With Ryanair what is the boarding procedure? I never flown with Ryanair before and I will be flying bristol to Tenerife in June.

Is it going to be rush on free-for-all to get seats, as I don't want to be sat on my own for 4hrs15mins :(.

Also I have heard ryanir are awful for customer service and restrictions. Ad force many to pay extra charges for obscure things. I mean we are only taking one suitcase between 2 because it was about £75 more for extra baggage. And we have to check in online, it's all rather un airline like to me :(. My fav part was always checking in at the desk etc.

Jack1985
5th May 2013, 17:01
With Ryanair what is the boarding procedure?

Make sure to be checked-in for both your outbound and inbound legs and to have your boarding passes for both journeys printed prior to departure.

Is it going to be rush on free-for-all to get seats, as I don't want to be sat on my own for 4hrs15mins .

Get in line and proceed to the aircraft, us on the ground don't allow a free for all boarding FR flights (or for any other airline) contrary to popular belief, also the cabin crew ensure prompt and efficient boarding (no scums). If you're eager to be sat with your family avail of priority boarding or pre-book seats via ryanair.com

Also I have heard ryanir are awful for customer service and restrictions. Ad force many to pay extra charges for obscure things. I mean we are only taking one suitcase between 2 because it was about £75 more for extra baggage. And we have to check in online, it's all rather un airline like to me . My fav part was always checking in at the desk etc.

They're not awful if you follow the guidelines and their T&C's. The only charges your going to incur are listed on the website so It's hardly obscure things? Baggage charges are the norm now with all carriers the legacy's have even faltered to economic sense who would have thought, check-in I'm afraid is now outdated easyJet have now followed Ryanair with 100% online check-in policy, anyhow why wait to check-in for over 2hrs when you can do it at the comfort of your own home just drop off your bag at the Bag & Tag desk at the airport and proceed to the gate, making sure your their 30mins prior to your scheduled departure time.

It's simple and cheap so no need to worry! Enjoy Tenerife. :)

LPFR
6th May 2013, 00:42
Fantastic post, Jack1985 ;)

I fail to see why some people find everything so obscure and unfriendly?

I mean... Like you said, all the rules are perfectly described at the Ryanair website, and they're pretty easy to understand. I've flown Ryanair over 30 times in the last couple of years and never had a scum boarding process; Never had a flight delayed for more than 15min; Always took a hand bag which is pretty much the exact size of the sizer at the gate so, no bag charge whatsoever and for what one needs for a week it's perfectly enough (Not counting pax with special needs of course); Young, energetic and friendly crew, always smiling and helping pax. In all honestly much better in general than British Airways in which I did got a free snack and a generous baggage allowance. Yes, it's nice, but is that the only thing that matters to some? Is it really worth the difference in price? Is it worth the average delays of 30min/1h on pretty much all flights I took? For me, above everything: A seat and a safe flight on time. And if the price is right even better!

I know that each one of us have different experiences. No flight is the same as other! But when you take over a certain number of flights with the same carrier you do wonder if you're just lucky or some people just like to be bitchy over little things because they expect great service for a small charge of ticket or because they didn't follow the rules they blame the airline for their own mistake! :confused:

EI-DAC
6th May 2013, 10:59
Tomorrow May 7th press Conf @CRV airport, new italian station for FR.

rob39
6th May 2013, 15:44
Is it going to be rush on free-for-all to get seats, as I don't want to be sat on my own for 4hrs15mins http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Flown Ryanair a number of times and had mixed experiences, most ok. Booked priority boarding three times, TFS, LPA, ACE. This end no probs but in the canaries priority boarding was honoured as usual, though the aircraft was parked on the apron so a bus was required to ferry passengers to the aircraft. So we entered the bus first then all the other passengers also got on the same bus :mad: which made a mock of the priority boarding. Once at the aircraft a mad rush ensued to get on it :ugh:I did mention this to the Steward on board but he just said sorry nothing he could do (not his fault).

I have to say most flights do park at the gates most of the time. Enjoy Tenerife its lovely

jdcg
6th May 2013, 18:36
From personal experience I'd say this is quite common for priority boarding when buses are used. Always strikes me that it's a pointless purchase. Makes more sense to reserve a seat. Not that I do either. Just queue early and head for the back stairs.

pee
7th May 2013, 06:31
"Ryanair throws in the towel on Marseille", says the French press today. So far only the route to Bordeaux will be dropped, from June. The press rushed to declare victory of Air France and its new low cost model in MRS. Too early perhaps?

WOWBOY
8th May 2013, 20:12
Thanks Jack1985. That's all useful information.

Wars the ideal time to start queuing?.

GayFriendly
8th May 2013, 21:09
[QUOTE][QUOTE]Most places have a launderette which well worth it.

Perhaps FR should dispense with selling scratchcards on board and instead sell dry cleaning vouchers (for those who priority boarded) and launderette tokens (for the rest who stood in a queue for ages then got on the same bus to the aircraft as those who priority boarded). Oh the glamour of flying FR! ;)

PS Before I am castigated, I have flown FR many times in the past and have four flights booked from BHX to TRS, KRK, BCN and DUB over the next few months - you can't knock their amazing value fares (even if I then have to wash my clothes when away)

racedo
8th May 2013, 21:30

Seriously buy priority boarding or even prebook your seats.

On a flight that long you want to be on 1st and choose where you sit.

I have travelled with kids to Spain for 2 weeks and had carryon luggage and even then used less than we brought. Most places have a launderette which well worth it.

Jamie2k9
8th May 2013, 23:03

Start queuing near the flight time and when you see other people queuing. You won't be boarding until 15-20 minutes before the flight if not lather as the aircraft is inbound. No need for this nonsense of paying for priority boarding or reserved seats. Biggest money spin ever and not worth it. Most airports should have two queues one for priority and the normal queues.

IMO Bristol is the worst UK airport for passenger order and boarding aircraft, have yet to fly from there when it hasn't being a complete shambles...

Sober Lark
9th May 2013, 09:16
the ideal time to start queuing

I believe the British have been standing in queues since 1837 but other cultures differ.

RAT 5
9th May 2013, 10:01
There was a claim, many years ago, against ez, when speedy borders were put on the same bus as regulars. And you guessed correctly that the regulars were more speedy out of the buses than those who had paid. From the story in the DT they lost their claim. Did they pursue it? I don't know. Does it still happen? Perhaps not. Should you have a claim? Of course. The supplier has not fulfilled their contract.
Remember, on RYR, priority boarding does not get you a reserved seat. Those offer more leg-room and are at a premium. A reserved seat means you can linger and board relaxed; or does it include priority boarding?

TSR2
9th May 2013, 10:27
How do Ryanair identify reserved seats on board the aircraft ?

Nightstop
9th May 2013, 10:57
Ryanair identify Reserved seats by placing an A4 piece of paper printed with "Reserved Seat" on the seat!

If you don't need the extra legroom I recommend you reserve seat Row 2A, B or C, this is because Row 3 behind is often blocked off (so you won't get tall people's knees in the small of your back or kids banging the tray table behind you). Also you can keep your loose belongings with you and not have to put them in the overhead locker for take-off & landing (which you must do if seated in Row 1A, B, C or Row 2D, E ,F (there's no Row 1D, E, F).

j636
9th May 2013, 19:12
Ryanari have some winter flights on sale. Mostly UK-Spain ones.

SealinkBF
10th May 2013, 08:16
Sometimes the queue at the gate can be deceptive.

I remember for my first few Ryanair flights (after they became Super Low Cost) being quite alarmed at the queue of people trailing back.

But then one time I counted them and it was about 100 people. On a plane with 189 seats. And I noticed how people sprawl out when they queue.

Since then I just wait and board last. I've never not had a window seat (my favourite place to sit) and just relax.

That said, I have never been on an FR flight that is more than two hours and I'm not going to get stressed. Just think of it like getting on a bus. ;-)

tugga_5
10th May 2013, 12:33
I take it the additional routes to/from XRY were just rumours then?

jdcg
12th May 2013, 16:15
Dortmund flights are for the Champions League final I believe. Don't know about MAD

JWP2010
13th May 2013, 14:35
Five more years for O'Leary at Ryanair - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0513/391962-five-more-years-for-oleary-at-ryanair/)

Needs no extra comment from me.

Jack1985
14th May 2013, 17:38
This really pisses me off, can't believe the guardian gave this a piece. I don't see how she is being ripped off! She has agreed to the T&C's and is informed that the ticket at booking is non-refundable and non-changeable. :mad: Ryanair flight change has me reaching the point of no return | Money | The Observer (http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/may/12/ryanair-flight-change)

racedo
14th May 2013, 17:58
Jack

Having read the piece they changed the date for her and as it had been an enforced changed on her original booking they didn't charge her.
As the date changed to was incorrect, she claims it was them but unless it was recorded it then its a 50-50 but instead of calling them she went online and changed it herself and got charged rather than calling.

dublinaviator
14th May 2013, 18:01
Jack I'm like yourself, I can't stand some of the bullsh*t directed at Ryanair but if you read that article she has every right to be pissed off. The customer agent changed her booking to the wrong date (after having paid a change of booking fee) which forced her to change it again online, where she was charged an additional £775 even though she was only supposed to be charged an additional £75. That would piss anyone off, she was just lucky enough to be able to vent her anger through a national newspaper.

racedo
14th May 2013, 19:08
The customer agent changed her booking to the wrong date (after having paid a change of booking fee) which forced her to change it again online, where she was charged an additional £775 even though she was only supposed to be charged an additional £75. That would piss anyone off, she was just lucky enough to be able to vent her anger through a national newspaper.

Er no

She got her flight changed at no cost (flight timings had already been changed by Ryanair previously so £120 waived), then the new date was wrong, she claims it was customer service but its a 50-50 where she just as easily gave the wrong date.

On discovering this she went online to change the date again and claimed customer service told her it would only charge her £75 and only 4 seats left..........this is kind of puzzling as if she was on phone to customer services and online then why is she putting debit card in and not getting customer services just to amend their supposed mistake.

j636
15th May 2013, 15:51
Ryanair passengers diverted to airport 200 miles away after pilot tells them it's too dark to land on Greek holiday island | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2324831/Ryanair-passengers-diverted-airport-200-miles-away-pilot-tells-dark-land-Greek-holiday-island.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

I know its the daily mail but come on "to dark" to land

15th May 2013, 16:15
Thessaloniki seems a bit of an odd place to divert to if unable to land at Kefalonia.

There are many airports, which have a relationship with Ryanair, that are closer. Zakynthos and Patras must be less that 100km away, while Corfu, Volos and Kalamata all look like nearer options too.

farci
16th May 2013, 08:00
I'm just mere SLF - but shouldn't Ryanair know in advance there were night time restrictions at the destination airport?

Charlie Roy
16th May 2013, 18:09
Ryanair in Talks to Add Seven Spanish Cities as It Seeks Fee Cut - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-16/ryanair-in-talks-to-add-seven-spanish-cities-as-it-seeks-fee-cut.html)

Ryanair considering 737MAX7 :ooh:
Would they configure it with 150 seats (3 stewards needed, 1 for each 50 pax)?
Could be used on thinner routes, open up whole new markets...

Sober Lark
16th May 2013, 21:36
BBC Radio 4 reported today on Britain's youngest pilot accepted by Ryanair at age 19. Can't name him but congratulations.

The report on Ryanair diversion in The Mail is only a piece of toxic journalism written to serve their particular readership so for the vast majority of educated, self directed individuals, it is nothing to worry about.

PAXboy
17th May 2013, 02:13
Nothing new in here but it will be news to many regular pax.
Join Ryanair! See the world! But we're only paying you for nine months a year - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/join-ryanair-see-the-world-but-were-only-paying-you-for-nine-months-a-year-8619897.html)

Channex258
17th May 2013, 06:49
Nothing new in here but it will be news to many regular pax.
Join Ryanair! See the world! But we're only paying you for nine months a year - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/join-ryanair-see-the-world-but-were-only-paying-you-for-nine-months-a-year-8619897.html)

I have first hand experience of being cabin crew for Ryanair, when I was first out of college at 18. In the interview they clearly outline all the charges up front ( €2200 all in from what I remember) you also get told the salary as well (€16 per block hour) I have friends at other LOCOs who aren't paid for being on the ground only airport standbys, so I assume this is standard practice.
I have no agenda against them I don't work for them anymore but I'm pretty neutral with them,If they're cheap il use em. a few friends are still there and happily flying on those terms.

Moral of the story read the T&C's before you hand your money over to them.

pee
17th May 2013, 12:42
I suspect that Ryanair would see their profits soar, if they just behaved with a modicum of respect towards its staff, customers & suppliers
Have to agree.
because much of what they do, they do well.
That's true as well.

That's why MOL is probably still the best possible CEO in the years to come. However, I think he should create a "face-lifting" department to improve the present image of the airline, get better press, more sympathy and indeed even more pax.

PAXboy
17th May 2013, 16:40
We all know that MoL won't change anything. That is not a criticism, just fact. He won't change anything because what he has done for 20 years has made them all millions. 99% of humans do not stop doing something that makes money - even to make more money.

That is why old companies eventually fail and why Woolworths and Pan Am are no longer around and politicians are another obvious example. Humans get very set in their ways.

Nothing will change until after MoLs time and even then it will take a big person to change the company protocols. I do not doubt that they could change now and make more money, but I don't think they can change now.

They might not even change in the future - but change will be forced upon them. By whom and what company, I cannot guess but the next generation of FR mgt will have to think the unthinkable.

racedo
17th May 2013, 18:31
if any Jurno out there wants to see what its like turn up with a hidden camera at any Ryanair airport check, its like a refugee camp, with people repacking, putting extra clothes on, falling out in lumps with staff,

Clearly you need to get out more and visit a refugee camp if you make such idiotic comments like that.

racedo
17th May 2013, 18:45
They might not even change in the future - but change will be forced upon them. By whom and what company, I cannot guess but the next generation of FR mgt will have to think the unthinkable.

The only constant that is clear in looking at how Ryanair operate is that change is pretty much continuous.

This is why I puzzle about people claiming "the unthinkable"..............what unthinkable is that ?

There are lots of people who desire the old days in Aviation as witnessed by the old Black and White movies or what they received in the 1980's................not many people want to pay for it though.

I have friends in various professions who ended up spending thousands to do MBA's / MSC or upskill into different areas. Even 1 who 15 years after attending medical school and running non medical family business spent £40k getting back into medical profession and now a GP.

The lets train people at company expense is something that has pretty much died across many industries over last 30 years. One only has to look at how apprenticeships have pretty much disappeared across whole swathes of UK industry. UK business relies on foreign trained professionals across many professions to make up for 30 years of short termism. Why should aviation be different ?

BEagle
18th May 2013, 07:48
You thought the attendants had it bad? Wait ?til you hear about Ryanair?s pilots - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/you-thought-the-attendants-had-it-bad-wait-til-you-hear-about-ryanairs-pilots-8621681.html)

:rolleyes:

Did you get one of those memos, racedo?

Some of the comments on that news item are rather.....:eek:

dublinaviator
18th May 2013, 10:55
ffs nobody forces these guys to work for Ryanair, they should know what they're signing up for as it's there in black and white in the T&Cs. You wouldn't mind but these guys aren't exactly on a paltry wage either.

Fair play to Ray Conway, he called it as it is. This isn't about safety concerns. While Ryanair pilots are put under serious pressure to keep to a tight schedule, it is never to the point of compromising safety. This is just about a bunch of pilots not happy with their contract terms. Just as nobody forced them to join Ryanair, nobody's forcing them to stay...

WOWBOY
19th May 2013, 12:27
Sorry to be a pain but I have another question regarding ryanair.

When I check in online, it says in the terms and conditions I am charged £7 for printing out boarding passes per person one way. Really?!?! Paying to use my own printer?

And I assume I print off both passes for the outgoing and return flights.

ScotsSLF
19th May 2013, 14:03
There's no charge for printing off your own boarding passes. If you lose yours, or forget to print it off you will be charged at the airport.

dublinaviator
19th May 2013, 16:38
There is a charge for online check-in which is £7/€7. The boarding card reissue fee that you're referring to is £70/€70.

WOWBOY
19th May 2013, 17:28
Thanks guys for the info and clearing things up.

We only flying with ryanair as it was part of the offer from onthebeach. I for one won't be flying with them again its so much hassle and worry. Charges everywhere, for trivial things. Wishing we spent the extra money for the easyjet flight. :( would of ironically been cheaper after this £30 extra fees.

:mad:

racedo
19th May 2013, 18:06
Thanks guys for the info and clearing things up.

We only flying with ryanair as it was part of the offer from onthebeach. I for one won't be flying with them again its so much hassle and worry. Charges everywhere, for trivial things. Wishing we spent the extra money for the easyjet flight. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif would of ironically been cheaper after this £30 extra fees.

Think your issue is with whom you booked with rather than Ryanair.

Happy to be corrected on this but I do not believe Onthebeach has a contract to sell Ryanair flights. Therefore anybody booking with resellers of flights (screenscrapers) run the risk of getting hit with extra charges.

There are any number of trip sites (not naming them) which review online booking sites and give views, onthebeach is mentioned on them.

Ryanair have always been clear that to get best fares then book with them.

WOWBOY
19th May 2013, 18:21
It's not the booking specifically, I have only read it on the ryanair site. Not in reference to my own booking.

However I have no read that ryanair don't permit third party bookings and don't have agreement with onthebeach. Now I'm really worried, as some reports are that rynaair cancel the booking if they see its booked via third party. This is why I hate it when my friend has booked it for us ahh.

I don't want to get to the airport to find we don't have a flight. It's in 2 weeks exactly :(.

Ryanair on ther behalf don't actually hide the fact you can have extra charges but onthebeach thing is quite worrying.

If they don't have contract what am I supposed to do? :\

eu01
19th May 2013, 18:25
@WOWBOY. Ironically, Ryanair has just stopped charging any "invisible" unavoidable fees during the booking process. Actually you can only become a "victim" of unwanted insurance or priority boarding fees (or alike) if you are not smart enough during the booking process (if you don't know how and when to say no). The online check-in fee is enclosed in the final price from the very beginning, at least while booking directly with them, so you have already payed it. Again, while booking directly.

Transportraition
19th May 2013, 18:37
There is not always a charge for online check-in. For example, if you book now to fly Stansted to Warsaw to Oslo (Rygge) on June 12th, you only pay the base fare.

dublinaviator
19th May 2013, 19:01
Exactly, more often than not the check-in fee can be avoided by taking up promotional fares or special offers that discount it from the final fare.

WOWBOY
19th May 2013, 19:07
I think I'm over worrying its just the thing about ryanair taking them to court really took me back abit.

Never flown with the, before, and made the mistake of researching about there experience online. Lol

racedo
19th May 2013, 19:11
I think I'm over worrying its just the thing about ryanair taking them to court really took me back abit.

Never flown with the, before, and made the mistake of researching about there experience online. Lol

This year they will fly over 80 Million people...................

WOWBOY
19th May 2013, 19:17

Exactly and if you have a good experience you are not likely to write about it online. And it's a minority of 80 million. Which is not a lot really :)

Well new aircraft for me anyways never been on a 737-800 :). Sorry to have been a pain guys :O

TSR2
19th May 2013, 19:34

Correct ..... but not 80 million different people.

farci
20th May 2013, 07:25
When I check in online, it says in the terms and conditions I am charged £7 for printing out boarding passes per person one way. Really?!?! Paying to use my own printer? Scots SLF is correct - the fee for a boarding pass only applies if you have to have it reprinted at the airport by Ryanair.

But it's not £7 per person per sector but £70. Moral - buy some new printer cartridges!:O

Thunderbirdsix
20th May 2013, 10:01
Ryanair shares have jumped sharply in Dublin after it reported after tax profits of €569m for the year to the end of March, up 13% on the previous year.
Revenues for the year rose 13% to €4.88 billion as passenger numbers grew by 5% to 79.3 million despite the airline grounding up to 80 winter aircraft.
During the year, the airline opened seven new bases - at Chania in Greece, Eindhoven and Maastricht in the Netherlands, Fez and Marrakech in Morocco, Krakow in Poland, and Zadar in Croatia.
It also started flying on 217 new routes to give a total of over 1,600.
The airline said that fuel costs rose by over €290m during the year and now represent 45% of total costs. Its ancillary revenues outpaced its traffic growth, rising by 20% to €1.064 billion, or 22% of total revenue.
See how Ryanair share are doing in Dublin trade (http://www.rte.ie/news/business/markets/iseq/)
Ryanair said that forward bookings on its new routes and bases are ahead of expectations as its competitors continue to restructure and cut short-haul capacity. It said it expects growth opportunities to expand and improve for the foreseeable future.
The airline said that its new route teams ''continue to handle more growth opportunities than our current fleet expansion allows''. It said it was looking at opportunities in Germany, Scandinavia and central Europe as well as Spain.
''As ever, Ryanair remains willing to exploit growth opportunities where airports provide attractive incentives to do so,'' the airline's chief executive Michael O'Leary stated.
Michael O'Leary said the airline was ''disappointed'' that the European Commission decided to prohibit its third offer for Aer Lingus.
In its outlook, the company said it expected profit for the coming financial year to come in between €570-600m, an increase of 5%.
"We expect modest yield (revenue per passenger mile) and traffic growth for the full year to be partly offset by higher oil and Eurocontrol costs," Mr O'Leary said in a statement, referring to the pan-European air traffic control body.
"With almost zero yield visibility into the second half and the EU wide recession, we expect that there will continue to be downward pressure on yields which will dampen full-year profit growth," he added.
Mr O'Leary also said that the airline will ground fewer planes this winter compared to previous years and expects traffic in the next 12 months to grow by 3% to 81.5 million.

EI-A330-300
20th May 2013, 10:08
Looks like Ryanair may now be prepared to grown at Dublin and Stansted again from September.

Meanwhile, it appears frosty relationships with airports across Europe are also beginning to thaw. “We are in active discussions with the new owners of Stansted Airport and the new management at Dublin Airport and while no agreements have yet been reached, if a competitive cost base emerges, then we could restart growth at one or other airports as early as September 2013,” explains O’Leary.

Ryanair Suggests Growth Could Return at Stansted and Dublin :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/199956/ryanair-suggests-growth-could-return-at-stansted-and-dublin/#.UZnpD1gOnsw.twitter)

Meanwhile
20 May - Full Year Results 2013 (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/20-may-full-year-results-2013)

Falcon666
20th May 2013, 10:54
More expansion at STN!
Sound like they won't be getting Flybe slots at Gatwick then!

Heathrow Harry
20th May 2013, 16:18
A lot of people hate the man but you have to say he has a great record in business terms

eu01
20th May 2013, 17:48
According to The Guardian:The company said there were significant gains to be made in Germany, Scandinavia and central Europe in particular, where Air Berlin, SAS and LOT continue to restructureGermany? Probably true. The country is coping with the economical downturn relatively well while some areas are still under-served there.
Central Europe? Yeah, but will FR be able to substitute the likes of LOT having practically no business-oriented offer?
Scandinavia? It's not a very vast market and partially saturated (in the LCC area by Norwegian and themselves), they possibly could grow mainly in Denmark and Finland, I guess.

racedo
20th May 2013, 17:54
Sound like they won't be getting Flybe slots at Gatwick then!

Have they even sought them ?

dublinaviator
20th May 2013, 18:20
Have they even sought them ?

According to the Sunday Business Post they have:

The Sunday Business Post - News - Ryanair looking at bidding for some of Flybe's Gatwick slots (http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Ryanair+looking+at+bidding+for+some+of+Flybe's+Gatwick+slots/id/19410615-5218-519a-065d-26cfe4663269)

Rabina
20th May 2013, 19:24
So did Bernie Madoff ....

racedo
20th May 2013, 22:00
Cracking set of results and overdelivery as usual.

PAXboy
20th May 2013, 22:25
Somebody is very keen to promote this - starting a new thread and nut just adding to the usual one?

Always good to know that the PR @ RYR is up to the mark. :p

Hangar6
20th May 2013, 22:35
Spot on
Spin good news into new threads
Let existing threads die

Not accidental and the Hq night manager has his instructions !!!!

PAXboy
21st May 2013, 06:47
Amusing that they released this news at the same time as the flight and cabin crew started getting their story further out.

Of course - nothing will change.

Nothing to see here, back to bed everyone. :zzz:

Capetonian
21st May 2013, 06:51
I just see this as yet another reason not to use them until they start using some of that massive profit to offer their staff fairer working conditions and not to squeeze every last penny out of the customers.

Heathrow Harry
21st May 2013, 12:44
they made 600 mm euros on assets valued at 9 billion - that's a 6.6% rate of return

not exactly comparable to Apple who make around 30%

Phileas Fogg
21st May 2013, 12:47
As far as I'm aware Apple's level of customer service doesn't stoop as low to telling customers to "phuck off"!

barossavalley
21st May 2013, 13:17
Ryanair have announced a new captcha which they say will allow “speedier access” to the site, apparently a less complicated version developed by Solve Media

pee
21st May 2013, 13:20
Ryanair Flying Even Higher? I, too, would prefer to discuss it within the present "Ryanair" thread. Icarus coming to mind :).

davidjohnson6
21st May 2013, 13:22
barossavalley - would that be the same Captcha by SolverMedia that has been live on the FR website for the last few months ?

j636
21st May 2013, 14:24
It was only live on the Irish site followed by UK one but not on others.

BFS BHD
21st May 2013, 14:28
Anyone on this thread no if Ryanair is in talks with BFS? Seen on 'The Irish News' website

eu01
21st May 2013, 16:33
From The Times article (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/transport/article3769602.ece):

Ryanair believes that it has spotted a business opportunity in flying Israeli children on educational visits to former Nazi concentration camps.
The Irish airline revealed yesterday that its seemingly unstoppable international expansion was likely to continue, with a launch of new routes in 2014 linking Central European cities to Israel.

Howard Millar, its deputy chief executive, suggested that flights between Poland and Tel Aviv could prove particularly profitable. “It seems that every Israeli child has to go to Poland to go and see Auschwitz. We can help them with that", he said. Great idea! But wait a minute! There could be many school children in the UK, France and elsewhere who might wish to do the same. Did Ryanair ever try to facilitate the group travel of any kind? In my opinion there are many hurdles for any group travel organizer attempting to take advantage of Ryanair's low prices, too many, regardless of the destination. Considering some apparently missed opportunities, it's one of them. Better try to improve this issue here in Europe first, before making proposals to Israel.

racedo
21st May 2013, 17:47
Amusing that they released this news at the same time as the flight and cabin crew started getting their story further out.

Yeah after all the date for announcement of results is published months in advance and Ryanair deliberately choose the date as they knew 6 months ago that the story would come out just before. :rolleyes:

They will publish Q1 on July 29th so as to deliberately destroy the stories released the week before:rolleyes:

Clever that:ugh::ugh:

davidjohnson6
21st May 2013, 18:26
The usual brash sales technique is likely to need to be changed substantially around Israeli kids being taken to see death camps like Auschwitz-Birkenau - culturally this is very different to someone going on a fun weekend break to Rome.

racedo
21st May 2013, 18:46
The usual brash sales technique is likely to need to be changed substantially around Israeli kids being taken to see death camps like Auschwitz-Birkenau - culturally this is very different to someone going on a fun weekend break to Rome.

Somehow think this was a flippant remark about who would be customers.

There is and has always been sizeable groups of Jewish people visiting Poland for many many years. Doubtful that is likely to change irrespective of which airline is flying.

Journos read something into every single question and every single answer...............kind of like asking you DJ do you like Beer or Wine and then making a supposed headline that you hate beer because you said you prefer wine.

PAXboy
21st May 2013, 19:10
racedoThey will publish Q1 on July 29th so as to deliberately destroy the stories released the week before:rolleyes:
Sure I take your point - but my point was that someone posted this in PPRuNe - and in a separate thread just when bad publicity was being put out.

If these figures had not been available, then perhaps something else would have been? I was not criticising - I was admiring their publicity machine and those that work for them, formally or informally as the case may be.

racedo
21st May 2013, 20:33
Sure I take your point - but my point was that someone posted this in PPRuNe - and in a separate thread just when bad publicity was being put out.

OP put the thread into Rumours and News before Mods was moved it into this forum.

Not the first time news like this on FR or other airline has been put into R&N before being moved into here and then combined with existing thread.
Its what Mods do :hmm:

As for supposed bad publicity being put out...................Its Ryanair so just another week, how long have you been on here ?

SealinkBF
21st May 2013, 22:24
This is a very long thread and I apologise if this has been mentioned at some point, anyone else think O'Leary's determination to get EI is payback (and a massive ego trip) for Ryanair's difficult early years.

The underdog buying the company that almost put them out of business?

PAXboy
26th May 2013, 01:44
A wonderful bit of de-bunking here. Pointing out that the stats cannot be proven - which we kinda knew - but good to see it done so well.

BBC News - Ryanair: Is it really Europe's most punctual airline? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22659822)

Hangar6
26th May 2013, 10:14
Rumour is 50% of current shareholding has to be sold , sweet, of course a lengthy appeal process and millions more on legal costs wasted but this expensive FR folly is at last going to end.

Thank you uk , you did what Roi and EU couldn't or wouldn't do.....:D

dublinaviator
26th May 2013, 11:55
I don't think it'll be that simple. Given that the ECJ have already ruled that Ryanair can keep their shareholding, I'd say they'll have grounds for appeal.

racedo
26th May 2013, 12:43
Given that the ECJ have already ruled that Ryanair can keep their shareholding, I'd say they'll have grounds for appeal.

Grounds for completely ignoring as EU law trancends national laws.

Attempt by UK to force 2 companies headquartered and registered in another country will be interesting, it allows any 3rd country to do the same to UK companies.

This will not be lost on UK companies who will then see German courts intervening in UK companies using UKs own precedence.

racedo
26th May 2013, 12:45
A wonderful bit of de-bunking here. Pointing out that the stats cannot be proven - which we kinda knew - but good to see it done so well.

They have done nothing of the sort. They have used conjecture as a means of a story and were not able to prove or disprove anything. Its BBC so what else is expected.

WOWBOY
26th May 2013, 13:32
Sunday my ryanair virginity will be lost ha. And btw there was no boarding pass print out fee, as you all stated :) have not flown on a jet aircraft since 2007(virgin 747). Been a flybe dash 8 junkie for past few years.:}

I remember way back in 2011 there was talk of ryanair trying to negotiate with GLA and moving from PIK. I assume this ended in a "we aren't givining you a bargain deal so move along" from HAH. As they don't fly from any Heathrow airport holdings, so makes Sense.

racedo
26th May 2013, 13:48
It does however show that Ryanair's own claims are at best based on incomplete statistics. Ryanair's own claims are as much conjecture as this story is. The logical conclusion is that Ryanair are not necessarily to be believed and while BBC may not have proved that Ryanair are not the most punctual, Ryanair have certainly not conclusively proved that they are.
Then again a company that repeatedly has been proved to lie in court is hardly carrying much credibility when it comes to inconclusive stats.

You make claims of "repeatedly proved to lie in court"......................this means in laymans terms I believe that they have been found guilty of perjury and punished in a court of law.

Happy to see the records of the trials that have taken place where found guilty of perjury.

airadio
26th May 2013, 14:23
HEAR HEAR:ok:

Hangar6
26th May 2013, 15:08
All airlines spin this punctuality issue

Sector times is the first spin they make take two city pairs , flying time say sixty minutes but publish 75 mins as the scheduled time thus increasing the on time performance ...

Who allowed airlines to decide ON TIME is upto 15 mins late !!!

No verifiable table of like for like on time performance exists

Airlines spin all results just as every other industry does so Fr are really
Only guilty of that annoying cockerel crow when they arrive on time but ten minutes after scheduled arrival time in their own schedule !!! ie under 15 minutes

Lets not even get started on on time landings and actual time any airline lets a
Passenger off the aircraft

All spin

MOL doesn't to my knowledge lie in court....he has been could guilty of

"The truth and MOL testimony are infrequent bedfellows"

Is that clear enough?

FR are no more guilty on this issue than any other carrier , it's just that tape they play ....

dublinaviator
26th May 2013, 15:16
Grounds for completely ignoring as EU law trancends national laws.

Attempt by UK to force 2 companies headquartered and registered in another country will be interesting, it allows any 3rd country to do the same to UK companies.

This will not be lost on UK companies who will then see German courts intervening in UK companies using UKs own precedence.

Completely agree 100% and I've made this point several times on this forum, but the UK competition authority were told by the UK courts that they have the jurisdiction to investigate Ryanair's shareholding so obviously that's why they've gone ahead with it. But as you say, even if they rule against Ryanair it won't stick as they'll just be overruled by the ECJ and rightly so.

It's the equivilant of Ireland attempting to block IAG's takeover of bmi because they happened to operate routes to Ireland.

Hangar6
26th May 2013, 18:18
I believe it's very important that we are clear on he thing here

No one as ever accused FR of telling the truth , to do so would be
Defamatory

and we would not want to tread this path

Ducksie sorry racedo I apologize if anyone
Has ever done this.

Now lets agree all airlines spin punctuality stats equally

racedo
26th May 2013, 19:06
I'm sure your efforts to spin this will be creative, but the judges words speak for themselves.

I was very clear in what I was asking.

The claim made is very clear "repeatedly proved to lie in court" are the words used.

As can be seen from what you posted this is NOTHING of the sort.

"The judge said that Mr O'Leary had misrepresented him in an 'offensive letter' he had written to Noel Dempsey. "
is NOT lying in court nor even close as since when does a letter go through court.

You have made something up and have nothing to back up the claim a single time much less repeatedly.

Hangar6
26th May 2013, 19:21
Don't forget major shareholder had to send a personnel apology to Irish regulator
For mollies rant ?

Very embarising when your CEO once again and again
Has stepped out of line ?

Financial and publicity liability ? Yes.

racedo
26th May 2013, 20:33
Good man racedo, despite the obvious negative affects to your blood pressure, your enthusiasm for the cause is touching. One hopes you're being properly compensated for working so hard of a Sunday night!
Looks like we'll agree to disagree, I've no doubt the general readership of this forum can work out what "misrepresentation" and uncomfortable bedfellows with the truth actually mean. Bonderman certainly understood what he heard, enough to apologise.

A claim was made in relation to being found guilty repeatedly of lying in court..............as you have been able to provide not a single shred of proof then perhaps its reflective on what you are posting not on anybody else.

Jack1985
26th May 2013, 20:36
A much better account here Judge criticises Michael O'Leary for lying - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0326/129233-ryanair/)

racedo
26th May 2013, 20:39
Jack

That has been posted on here numerous times before.

Michael O'Leary is not Ryanair and Ryanair is not Michael O'Leary.

Sober Lark
26th May 2013, 20:43
In that particular incident I thought the apology was made in the witness box and it was accepted.

Surely the on-time statistics relate to the whole network and not a particular route? Arrival performance being based on arrival at gate.

Jack1985
26th May 2013, 20:43
O?Leary pledge to complete Ryanair?s world domination | Irish Examiner (http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/oleary-pledge-to-complete-ryanairs-world-domination-231219.html)

Michael O’Leary, who built Ryanair into Europe’s biggest discount airline

In terms of management he is treated and treats his staff as if the company is fully his, after all he turned the airline from a fleet of six aircraft or so to now over 300. Shareholders have a complete opposite view, but just remember racedo anything O'Leary does which see's him on national news brings in Ryanair, horse-racing and even Yes to Lisbon in 2009 represented as Ryanair.

Hangar6
26th May 2013, 20:44
Could this be true a CEO in court just avoiding contempt for telling porkies !?

Surely not ?

Racedo please help us from being wrong ?

RAT 5
26th May 2013, 20:55
Michael O'Leary is not Ryanair and Ryanair is not Michael O'Leary.

If you believe that..........oh there goes another pink elephant.

racedo
26th May 2013, 21:01
In terms of management he is treated and treats his staff as if the company is fully his, after all he turned the airline from a fleet of six aircraft or so to now over 300. Shareholders have a complete opposite view, but just remember racedo anything O'Leary does which see's him on national news brings in Ryanair, horse-racing and even Yes to Lisbon in 2009 represented as Ryanair.

Er no

What he does in personal capacity is done as him and that includes support for NH racing
BBC Sport - JT McNamara: Jockey given 200,000 euros by Ryanair boss (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/21997219)

Yes to Lisbon was a company do where he lent an aircraft with support of the board to Irish Govts desire for a positive vote on a referendum.
European Commission accused of breaching rules with Ryanair stunt - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/6228088/European-Commission-accused-of-breaching-rules-with-Ryanair-stunt.html)

Jack1985
26th May 2013, 21:24
Er no

Apologies mate, I don't work for the Ryanair do I? Sunday nights tho eh? Horrible hours.

racedo
26th May 2013, 21:32
Apologies mate, I don't work for the Ryanair do I? Sunday nights tho eh? Horrible hours.

Neither do I so no worries about horrible hours.

Jack1985
26th May 2013, 21:46
So why is that without fail, anytime anything anti-Ryanair becomes available on this forum or any other you spring up out of the blue? Because its precisely not out of the blue is it? Seriously mate your agenda is obvious. And If me and others are wrong, then why is it in your own view you take it upon yourself to chant out the usual nonsense about Ryanair and defend them to the ground, because If I didn't work for the company or wasn't on the payroll It wouldn't be in my interest to do so.

However I am certainly not anti-Ryanair, their custom is the reason I am employed. Love or hate them they do a service well, however at times both the CEO who I respect in aspects takes actions which are highly questionable with regards to defamatory statements to other business' and the company's own employees and also with describing a PR job recently taken up by an existing management employee as the worst in the world what exactly is he trying to achieve? Because Ryanair didn't receive anything near the person they need in that Job proposal, well outside existing management which says a lot.

racedo
27th May 2013, 09:14
Jack

Always been clear that I am not employed by Ryanair but if you wish to make claims about people then feel free.

smith
27th May 2013, 09:31
Jack

I don't think many pilots actually "work" for Ryanair. They "work" for some tin-pot agency, wholly owned by Ryanair and are termed as "self employed agency contractors" but with no freedom to do extraneous work.

This "self employment" stunt is being looked at by many government agencies throughout Europe to determine the legality of it. I think in fact Racedo is one of these "numpties" or "numb nuts" that MOL likes to call his staff. :)

pwalhx
27th May 2013, 10:27
Methinks you doth protest too much Racedo, yes you always retort with the 'I do not work for Ryanair' but very carefully ignore the question of, in that case, why do you so slavishly follow the Ryanair line in defending them if anyone should make any critical comment.

Drive4it
27th May 2013, 11:20
Hi All.

Ive got a business proposal idea to put forward to Ryanair and their boarding card print outs. I dont want to divulge and information as if they take on the idea i would be hoping for a handsome payout, or a certain percentage.

The question is, who would i need to contact at Ryanair Towers, and how?

Sorry about the vagueness, but whatever the answer be it yes or no i will share with you all.

Thanks
Craig

PPRuNe Pop
27th May 2013, 11:23
Please cut out the back biting - and the sniping. It gets tedious for everyone to see it and the targets for it ARE sometimes innocent. Stick to the topic and please do NOT make up tales and stories.

AA&R Mods

anothertyke
27th May 2013, 12:32
The sensible end of the pantomime horse is Michael Cowley.

Sober Lark
30th May 2013, 10:11
So is the UK really interested in protecting the UK-Ireland routes by their quibble regarding Ryanair's shareholding in Aer Lingus or is it more to do with slots at Heathrow?

airbus_driver319
30th May 2013, 15:47
Ryan Air told they must sell stake in Aer Lingus

Full Deflection
2nd Jun 2013, 01:24
Ryanair Fined 225,000 Euros, Loses Four Aircrafts for Violating French Labor Laws ? La Jeune Politique (http://lajeunepolitique.com/2013/05/31/ryanair-fined-225000-euros-loses-four-aircrafts-for-violating-french-labor-laws/)

Saitek
2nd Jun 2013, 14:17
being reported here

Ryanair Fined 225,000 Euros, Loses Four Aircrafts for Violating French Labor Laws ? La Jeune Politique (http://lajeunepolitique.com/2013/05/31/ryanair-fined-225000-euros-loses-four-aircrafts-for-violating-french-labor-laws/)

"As ruled by the criminal court of Aix-en-Provence, the discount Irish airline, Ryanair, was required on Friday, May 31 to pay 225,000 euros in penalties, the maximum fiscal fine, in addition to the confiscation of four of the company’s Boeing 737 aircrafts as property payment. The charges are the result of what French courts have deemed “illegal” conduction of business in Marseille, arguing that the airline did not meet tax reporting requirements or apply French labor laws to its 127 employees from the Marseille-Provence airport.

When the company first opened business in Marignane, on the outskirts of Marseille, in 2007, the Irish airline did not officially register its new business activity with URSSAF, the French union which collects and organizes the national social security system. Up through the base’s temporary closure in 2010, Ryanair is also accused of denying its employees certain benefits, such as mandatory pension plans and union rights, and of employing pilot crews unlawfully.

Ryanair contests that its business affairs are only subject to European law and the laws of the country where its aircrafts are officially registered, in this case, Ireland and Irish law. It argues that Ryanair employees are paid under Irish contracts, and not French law. The aircrafts, the company argues, are only temporarily based on French soil and the staff takes orders from the headquarters in Dublin. The company openly denied exploitation of its base in Provence.

However, police investigations of Ryanair’s base in Marignane found 300 sq. meters of office space, with telephone and internet lines, 95 lockers, local employees, and two Ryanair executives appointed as supervisors to the site.

The prosecution of the site in Aix-en-Provence was opened on April 8 as a judicial inquiry, when the Central Office for the Fight Against Legal Work received complaints filed by both the Union of Seafarers of Civil Aviation and the National Union of Pilots. Lawyers advocating on the behalf of ten different civil parties claimed nearly ten million in damages on the part of Ryanair, labeling their business action as “deliberate social fraud.”

“We are dealing with a company whose sole purpose is to counter the law regardless of the interests of workers,” said prosecuting attorney, Annie Battini. While she acknowledged that the state did not want to do any harm to the low-cost airline industry, she argued that Ryanair’s system of employment was “absolutely contrary” to French legislation. “Ryanair plays on words,” she continued, noting that employer costs are 10.75% under Irish labor law, as opposed to 40% in France.

Ryanair’s defense lawyer, Luc Brossolet, contended that the operations in Marseille were simply “temporary” and that many of the individuals employed at the Marseille-Provence location actually live in Spain.

The first airline to pioneer extremely discounted airfare within the European Union after the signing of the 1992 European Open-Skies Treaty, Ryanair is one of today’s top providers of discount one-way flights within the EU, with ticket prices averaging around 80 euros. The industry, however, has faced legal troubles over the past few years, with the conviction of EasyJet and CityJet with similar charges of labor violations in 2010."

akerosid
2nd Jun 2013, 15:00
I am surprised that this has not got more widespread coverage! The EUR225k fine I get ... but the confiscation of four aircraft? Does a French court even have the right to do this?

Presumably something FR can (and will) appeal?!

I don't usually have sympathy for FR (and I don't in relation to its treatment of its workers), but this effectively amounts to a EUR200m fine, which seems excessive.

Aerlingus231
2nd Jun 2013, 15:12
No sympathy whatsoever for FR, hit them where it hurts, a €225K wouldn't even put a dent in their profits, 200M, now that might get them to stop thinking they're above the law.

RTM Boy
2nd Jun 2013, 15:19
This case had been crawling through French courts for some time. FR may be good at stringing things out, but the French legal system tends not be subject to the kind of legal get outs that occur in the UK...or Ireland.

If FR thinks it stands to lose 4 planes imminently, I bet it will suddenly stop flying to any French airport.

Watch this space.

EcamSurprise
2nd Jun 2013, 15:21
Not sure if this is quite accurate, other news sources are saying that 225k is the maximum fine available so prosecutors are "suggesting" to the court that they ground the 4 aircraft which were based in France at the time.

Gulf Julliet Papa
2nd Jun 2013, 15:31
If they were to confiscate 4 aeroplanes they would first have to find four that are owned by Ryanair...

FR-
2nd Jun 2013, 15:41
were simply “temporary” and that many of the individuals employed at the Marseille-Provence location actually live in Spain.

So none of the crew are from EMA? Like the Base supervisor? I actually have several of the crew 'temporary' based in MRS on my fb.

DrGitfinger
2nd Jun 2013, 16:38
I understand it the way EcamSurprise describes.
The prosecution gives a "réquisitoire" in which it specifies what it believes to be an appropriate sentence. It doesn't mean that that has been decided yet.
Here's another report in English (http://www.thelocal.fr/20130531/french-prosecutors-want-seizure-of-ryanair-planes)which says the prosecutor has "pressed" for the fine and confiscation of four aircraft.
This report in French (http://www.lesechos.fr/entreprises-secteurs/service-distribution/actu/reuters-00525203-france-le-prix-de-quatre-avions-reclames-a-ryanair-571227.php) says that the court has adjourned/deferred? its decision until 25 September 2013, by which time the defence will have argued their side of the case.

lomapaseo
2nd Jun 2013, 17:15
I smell an appeal coming and a stay of the judgment for a few years.

Not much to these off-the-wall legal stories until the sentence is carried out.

But for the sake of interest is the fine commensurate with the profit that was gained by the actions?

LGS6753
2nd Jun 2013, 17:45
Michael O'Leary: Ryanair's row over Aer Lingus? It's like a Monty Python script - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10092721/Michael-OLeary-Ryanairs-row-over-Aer-Lingus-Its-like-a-Monty-Python-script.html)

wingview
2nd Jun 2013, 19:10
I smell an appeal coming and a stay of the judgment for a few years.

Appeal is ofcourse what they will do, but I doubt that the French will return those planes untill judgement day...

helen-damnation
2nd Jun 2013, 19:11
But for the sake of interest is the fine commensurate with the profit that was gained by the actions?

As long as it's not less, who cares? :E

Dislike MOL intensly, if it gets his soft spot - great :D

(My only sympathy would be for the workers who he will probably shaft as a result).

Say Mach Number
2nd Jun 2013, 19:12
Have come across a few guys that worked out of MRS with FR.

They all say the same thing;

AF protectionist unions at play and the only people the French have shafted are their own nationals. As it was mostly French pilots that worked out of MRS.

They also said the airport management didnt want the court case. They have lost revenue,flights and jobs (french jobs)

This case wont hurt FR but has hurt more Fench people than Irish thats for sure.

SLFinAZ
2nd Jun 2013, 19:37
LOL...

Reminds me of the story about the tire company the French relentlessly pursued to save an ailing French tire plant. Company CEO looked at the French minister and asked him why anyone would be stupid enough to actually do business in France?

Sober Lark
2nd Jun 2013, 19:56
Everyone including the French say France is a difficult country to do business in.

mickjoebill
2nd Jun 2013, 20:19
labelling their business action as “deliberate social fraud.”
A label one can use in regard to Google and Apple (legal but dubious) low tax payments in countries where they have operations.

Bernoulli
2nd Jun 2013, 20:36
At last! Someone or something that stands up to the Ryanair bully machine. Well done the French.

Btw, what became of the investigation into the allegation that Ryanair were cheating on their Eurocontrol charges by falsifying their MTOW figures?

DownIn3Green
3rd Jun 2013, 02:28
In the early to mid 90's, somehow when I wasn't looking I became the Xhief Pilot of Baltic International Airlines...(now Air Baltic)...

Our 2 steady routes were Riga/Frankfurt and Riga/Gatwick 7 days a week...

We operated a TU-134 and 2 ex-AA 727-100's...An issue came up, and I don't know what it was, but we could fly to Gatwick with the Tu-134, and one of the Boeings....no problem...but if the other Boeing ever reared her head in the UK, she would be siezed...

Not sure I understand this one...if my company owes you money, what does it matter which A/C you block....?

Metro man
3rd Jun 2013, 05:36
Creative arrangements are not unknown when it comes to aircraft ownership. Purchased in one name, leased out by a nominee company registered in a tax haven to another company which temporarily registers it in another jurisdiction and subsequently charters it to a third party etc etc.

kick the tires
3rd Jun 2013, 06:41
Air France fined over CityJet Irish contracts - The Local (http://www.thelocal.fr/20120411/3063#.UQj4Ib-ClqU)

Perhaps the staff will get a bit of compensation too.....

jumpseater
3rd Jun 2013, 10:16
D3G Not sure I understand this one...if my company owes you money, what does it matter which A/C you block....?

IIRC legally the airport operator can only detain the airframe (lien) that accrued the specific debt. Usually after all other efforts had been exhausted. Not only that but the aircraft can be detained for a debt accrued by a previous owner. So Bloggs air who operated the aircraft and went bust, their debts can still be chased by placing a lien on one of their airframes with a new operator.

LiveryMan
3rd Jun 2013, 11:25
€225K + 4 aircraft
Say, €30M per aircraft. (Mind, they got em cheap)
Damn! That's a good €120M gone. Heads are gonna role.

sarah737
3rd Jun 2013, 11:32
Hold your horses guys!
This what the prosecutors ask for. There is NO judgement yet!
A couple of journo's need to learn French instead of using online translators and making up stories.

Cyrano
3rd Jun 2013, 18:47
Hold your horses guys!
This what the prosecutors ask for. There is NO judgement yet!
A couple of journo's need to learn French instead of using online translators and making up stories.

:ok:

sarah737 is absolutely right. Many people on PPRuNe are quick to complain about sloppy journalism (often justifiably) but at the same time are being very credulous here. Do you really imagine that it wouldn't be making headlines if Ryanair had four aircraft confiscated?

The prosecutor has made the deliberately headline-grabbing argument that the assets used in the commission of the alleged crime should be confiscated (i.e. 4 aircraft). She gets her headlines - you folks are seeing to that. In fact the actual judgement isn't due until September.

Now I appreciate that everyone wants to pile in at the slightest excuse and have another dig at Ryanair, but There Is No Confiscation Of Aircraft going on here, nor is there any prospect that the court will ultimately do so.

(Saitek: you might like to change the very misleading headline of this thread. Just because some wannabee journalism site can't even attain the normal accuracy standards of the profession :E doesn't mean their mistake has to be perpetuated here.)

Shorrick Mk2
4th Jun 2013, 07:26
The prosecution of the site in Aix-en-Provence was opened on April 8 as a judicial inquiry, when the Central Office for the Fight Against Legal Work

Only in France.

t1grm
4th Jun 2013, 09:33
Sounds like a classic case of the French unions not linking someone doing business under their nose without paying their dues. So much for reform of the French labour market.

roman.observer
4th Jun 2013, 10:18
Alright, as I've been following the case, I'll make things clearer for everyone:

- Regarding the confiscation of 4 planes, the prosecutor wants to confiscate the value equivalent to 4 planes, not the 4 planes themselves as said by La Tribune (http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-finance/industrie/aeronautique-defense/20130531trib000767705/ryanair-le-parquet-requiert-la-confiscation-de-quatre-avions-en-valeur-pour-travail-dissimule.html). The reason why the prosecutor demanded the value is simple: due to the leasing mechanism used by Ryanair, the plane doesn't belong to Ryanair Ltd but to a company located in a tax haven and owned by Ryanair Holding Plc. As there were too many ways to block a seizure legally, the prosecutor wanted the equivalent of 4 planes PLUS 225 000 which is the max you can demand for hidden work in France legally speaking.

- Is it legally possible ? As a matter of fact, it is since French justice has already seized a Sky Europe (http://www.crash-aerien.aero/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11821) plane before.

- Is it yet another French union trial? Not at all. Unions but also politicians have recently stood up against bad practices, hidden work, tax evasion from airlines - whether they are national or low-cost. The French transport secretary almost admitted in a press conference that he wanted Ryanair's head. This trial, even it's going to drag on and on, is symbolic for a lot of parties which have grown fed up with FR's competition or practices (not judging, just saying). People (not just union) seem to want an exemplary sentence because Ryanair flew off the handle at Marseille and was held responsible for Angouleme's failure and got out of it blue handed from some representatives' point of view (such is the case of Charente Senator from the majority who's still battling against the company).

- easyJet was nailed before but moved on... France is a hard country to make business in, true story. However easyJet which was nailed for the same reason, changed its practices and is now having better results than Air France in Nice... Boo ya :) Proof is that, pretty much like in every foreign country you do business in, you have to understand how things go down or else you'll just fail. Ryanair tried to force things (like it usually does) and now is the backlash...

FRatSTN
4th Jun 2013, 12:40
All Ryanair flights for the winter 2013-14 season already released for sale have been taken off sale again!!! Anybody know why or when they will be back on again???

Sober Lark
4th Jun 2013, 13:37
I see Willie Walsh has tipped his hand to show he would prefer to see Ryanair getting into bed with Aer Lingus rather than letting the unmentionable one in.

wiggy
4th Jun 2013, 17:45
..."the Central Office for the Fight Against Legal Work"....

Only in France.

Shorrick

I suspect the organisation being referred to is the "Office central de lutte contre le travail illegal" (my underlining)). I'm not quite sure why the word "legal" crept into it's name in the English language article; mischief? A typo? A poor translation from French :sad:? ... Never mind, I guess it appeals to the Mail and Telegraph reading expats.....

Edited to add an informative link :rolleyes:

Travail illégal (OCLTI) (http://www.gendarmerie.interieur.gouv.fr/fre/Sites/Gendarmerie/Presentation/PJ/Travail-illegal-OCLTI)

Bidule
5th Jun 2013, 05:58
To Roman.Observer:

- legally possible: the Sky Europe B737 had been blocked, not seized, by Aéroports de Paris, and it was because of unpaid airport charges. This reason is valid and legal in almost any country in Europe. By the way, Eurocontrol has the legal possibility to do same if there are unpaid route charges.

- union trial / easyJet: the law that French "Office Central de Lutte contre le Travail Illegal" is not specifically French but an EU regulation. It states that when workers are based in a country X for more than some months (6? but I am not sure and no time to check), the social charges and taxes regarding such workers have to be paid in country X, whichever the country of the employer is. Ryanair was brought to the Court because it did not pay the charges/taxes in France but claimed to do so in Ireland - which by the way is not even correct as the "independent" pilots have to pay their charges themselves.

LeadSled
5th Jun 2013, 07:33
Not only that but the aircraft can be detained for a debt accrued by a previous owner. So Bloggs air who operated the aircraft and went bust, their debts can still be chased by placing a lien on one of their airframes with a new operator.

Folks,
A very funny occurrence at EGLL years ago, and, as it happened, a B727.
A writ to detain the "vessel" had been granted to the creditor, under a very old maritime law, to satisfy a debt --- that required that the writ had to be "nailed to the foremast" to be properly executed.
After some head scratching, and fortunately no hammer rand nails, the writ was deemed to duly executed by taping it to the nose wheel leg.

davidjohnson6
5th Jun 2013, 19:20
I've spent enough time experiencing the Ryanair way of doing things to know that it's a money making machine rather than a cuddly toy. I also know that the company loves Captcha.

I know that Ryanair has in the past used Captcha to mention its money making ancillary products - e.g. booking hotels or phone call cards - nothing really that wrong with a bit of suggestive marketing.

I'm finding however that having to type in slogans about how Mastercard feeds young children who would otherwise go hungry in some of the poorest parts of the world, just to get a price for a flight rather cringe-worthy. I doubt that Mastercard has a particularly large impact on the world's poorest - they are after all just a credit card brand which seeks to make a profit. It all has echoes of being told to repeat corporate propaganda, while using the image of the world's most needy and vulnerable as a way of inducing people to spend in a way that increases profits. At the very least, this gives me a rather negative and cynical image of Mastercard.

Anyone else share this opinion ?

ayroplain
5th Jun 2013, 21:41
I've recently booked a number of flights and the captcha hasn't changed from the more user-friendly one (that replaced the original captcha) which uses easy-to-read words or phrases, some relative to FR. Haven't seen anything about Mastercard.

Out of curiosity just tried it now and same result every time.

EI-DAC
6th Jun 2013, 13:56
FR is the first operator at the brand new airport of COMISO, Sicily, close to Catania. First routes will be to Roma Ciampino, Bruxelles Charleroi and London Stansted.

alainthailande
6th Jun 2013, 19:51
Unfriendly skies for Ryanair in France these days...
The release of a book: "Ryanair : low-cost mais à quel prix ?" (Ryanair: Low Cost But At What Price?) is making it to the news headlines. Written by Christian Fletcher, "nom de plume" (pen name) for a (supposedly, of course) former Ryanair Captain, it's a very strong-handed attack against Ryanair's policies and procedures. Its obvious purpose is to scare people away from the airline. I'm looking forward to buying it from my nearest bookstore when available.
This is about the only article I could find in English about this book's release: Ryanair accused by pilot of putting passengers in danger in bid to cut costs – The Connexion (http://www.connexionfrance.com/Ryanair-pilot-book-passenger-safety-14769-view-article.html)
Several articles in the French media, including the respected "Le Monde" newspaper.

Horatio
6th Jun 2013, 21:36
Or maybe just an amateur attempt to sensationalize on a trend that saw 'SAS' heroes write about their experiences? Anyone that flew an airplane knew that it was 99% standard, boring, day to day routine stuff, inter-spaced with 1% adrenalin raising experiences. Can't see it being of any real interest to the general public and even then limited interest to those that do the job.

Rokkoquette
7th Jun 2013, 13:07
Not sure if this is the right thread to be asking in but does anyone know the seat pitch of the extra legroom seats on a ryanair flight? I tried customer services but the first advisor hung up on me and the second was insistent I wanted the price of the seats not the pitch :ugh:

daz211
8th Jun 2013, 08:21
I'm sure the pitch is 30.0" the same as all the seats on the aircraft.
Try seat guru they might have more info but I'm sure it's 30.0".

Heathrow Harry
8th Jun 2013, 15:40
Excellent post - why they seem to just love poking a finger into as many eyes as possible has always amazed me

They have absolutely no friends out there - and when, not if, something happens that leaves them in trouble they will reap the results of years of p******* everyone off

KAG
8th Jun 2013, 16:10
So how does Ryanair feel about that, when they have tried to save money by selling water to their OWN crew on duty during flight????

Sunnyjohn
8th Jun 2013, 17:54
Good one, Facelookbovvered. Nice to read an intelligent and even-handed post about a subject that is usually tackled in a somewhat emotive way!

Cyrano
8th Jun 2013, 20:03
I'm sure the pitch is 30.0" the same as all the seats on the aircraft.
Try seat guru they might have more info but I'm sure it's 30.0".

I believe it was Mark Twain who said:
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.
You may be sure but I'm afraid you're wrong. The exit row seats (rows 16 and 17) have appreciably more legroom - that's the reason they are included in the rows reservable in advance. Having prebooked a seat in those rows for 4 sectors in the last week or so I'd guess the pitch is at least 34".

Row 1 also has extra legroom. It doesn't make sense to speak of "pitch" because there's no seat row in front, but row 1 ABC has essentially nothing in front for maybe a metre - enough for VERY tall people.

The downside to rows 1, 16 and 17 is that the tray tables are in the armrests, so the seats feel a little narrower. But if you are tall, that's a price worth paying.

mixture
8th Jun 2013, 22:16
what else drives an airline to charge its employee's €4 for entrance to a swimming pool to carry out the mandatory wet drill's which are a business expense? and thus deductible or €70 for an airside pass which can only be used on duty for FR?

You've never run a business have you.... :E

Deductible they may be. But that benefit doesn't come until the end of the year once the beancounters and auditors have done their bit.

In the mean time, the business has to stump up the cold cash to actually pay suppliers for those expenses.

Avoid paying a given expense and you get to use the money elsewhere in the business instead, potentially in areas with a direct hard profit margin.

Although I've never run an aviation business, I also suspect you'll not be short on nice chunky tax deductible items anyway (leases on the shiny aircraft for example).

(Disclaimer that I'm talking in general terms here rather than about any company and will resolutely sit on the fence when it comes to the Ryanair debate, I'm not taking either side.....I don't want letters from their representatives !).

tonker
9th Jun 2013, 10:55
We were waiting to push at Pisa yesterday when the Ryanair next to us called for engine start just ahead of us. His doors were not only still open, there was still passengers boarding:ugh:

What a dreadful environment there crews must work in.

blind pew
9th Jun 2013, 11:44
Think you are wrong on one account...seems their regulator allows anything to happen including the cpl training standards..

Mikehotel152
9th Jun 2013, 15:58
the Ryanair next to us called for engine start just ahead of us. His doors were not only still open, there was still passengers boarding...

Sounds odd. I presume he asked for the clearance and GND gave him start instead, which isn't unusual in Italy. I can't think of any other explanation.

kick the tires
9th Jun 2013, 16:06
Its not odd, sadly normal behaviour for many a RYR crew.

Often I have been blocked by a RYR calling for push when his tug was not attached or only just driving up! Selfish and causes the flow on the ground to falter.

Mikehotel152
9th Jun 2013, 16:11
I'm sorry but that's rubbish. :ugh:

I have never deliberately called for start unless ready and I don't see it happening on the line. To suggest it's common with Ryanair crews is BS. Yes, it may happen from time to time, but our crews are not in a mad rush.

JW411
9th Jun 2013, 16:54
My all time favourite on this subject;

I am parked alongside one of our favourite airline's aircraft;

He calls for "push and start" with doors open and still boarding.

I am fully ready and call for "push and start."

"Stand by, the aircraft on the next stand is pushing back."

What ATC don't realise is that I have the only available tug on the airfield already connected to my nosewheel!

I let it go for a couple of minutes and then asked ATC how he was going to manage to push when I already had the only tug available connected.

Confusion and a large degree of embarrassment resulted.

I can assure you that FR do not have a monopoly on this subject.

McBruce
9th Jun 2013, 17:09
Regarding Pisa, old habits die hard. It's not a push and start. It's a request to basically start the flight plan.

I believe our briefs used to advise us to request start -10 before ready. It's a base so I assume this was all worked out between all the locals but I was led to believe the reason behind it was due to the process behind the scenes which the ground controller had to do to get your release from Milian. This used to cause delays years ago but its a streamlined process now and I believe our briefs don't mention this anymore.

Wanabee,Gunnabee,Am
10th Jun 2013, 14:28
Where has this thread gone. Is it just a little too near the truth so the company have been able to get it removed?

Don't like it when it comes their way, although they give it out enough.

Zipster
10th Jun 2013, 14:35
It is strange i agree with you since it is all over the media...

Stevek
10th Jun 2013, 16:59
It wasn't correct. Article stated incorrect facts such as confiscation of aircraft and heavy fine were to be imposed. Aircraft were never going to be confiscated only the value of four aircraft would be the cost of the wanted punishment. Will never happen.

ayroplain
14th Jun 2013, 11:31
From FR website:

We have added extra seat capacity on flights operating over the coming days and we recommend that passengers check our website for new seat availability to their booked destination or other nearby Ryanair departure or arrival airports.

I wonder does this mean that larger aircraft are being hired in or are they putting two 738's on some flights?

WOWBOY
14th Jun 2013, 15:18
Well ryanair weren't as bad as I prepared for. Was much likely a any other airline. If you follow there rules you have a good flight.

Only negative is the seats are so uncomfortable especially for a 4hr flight. I guess the Canary Islands are the longest routes for ryanair.

Not my favourite airline never will be but if you need to get from a to b at little cost they are perfect. :)

Transportraition
15th Jun 2013, 11:52
WOWBOY - who cares whether it is or is not your favourite airline. Ryanair's aim is to get people from A to B at little cost ! The rest of your sentence says it all !!!!

WOWBOY
15th Jun 2013, 20:23
It's an opinion of mine that's what! Wasn't about who cares or who doesn't. You making something out of nothing!:ugh:

Heathrow Harry
16th Jun 2013, 09:06
"Ryanair's aim is to get people from A to B at little cost"

Actually their aim is to make money for their shareholders - they do this by

a) offering very cheap fares and going for market share

b) flying to places a lot of others wouldn't

c) keeping their cost base as near zero as anyone has ever managed

RAT 5
16th Jun 2013, 16:14
And reducing the T's & C's of their hard working crews year on year; oh, and increasing their various add-onns year on year. Good game if you can get away with it.
It is still the case that full service carriers can often be cheaper like for like than LoCo's. It just takes a little searching and not assuming that LoCo's are always the cheapest bottom line. I'm including travel to airport, car parking, baggage, sports equipment, credit card and checkin charges, time of day, etc. Often I compare my local legacy carrier and the LoCo options. For a more social time, in a more comfortable seat with a free bar I might pay less or only a few euros more. I wonder how many people, those who have a real choice and do not live near a regional airfield, trouble to check. Advertised price is still not the final price you will pay from the time you leave your house to return to said dwelling.

Jack1985
16th Jun 2013, 18:08
#10ReasonsWhyIHateRyanair is trending on Tw*tter UK tonight, say's a lot about Ryanair's brand image judging by some of the tweets.

SealinkBF
16th Jun 2013, 19:08
#10ReasonsWhyIHateRyanair

Publicity, Publicity, Publicity

Jack1985
16th Jun 2013, 19:12
Publicity, Publicity, Publicity

Fair Enough but it's also,

Negative Publicity, Negative Publicity, Negative Publicity

smith
16th Jun 2013, 19:26
"Ryanair's aim is to get people from A to B at little cost

It should be from 30 miles from A to 70km from B.

sunday8pm
18th Jun 2013, 15:20
Would somebody kindly advise as to whether STN-SZG has been dropped this coming winter, or is it just not loaded onto the system yet?

FRatSTN
18th Jun 2013, 15:29
Several routes are still unavailable, I don't think they've dropped it.

ayroplain
18th Jun 2013, 18:11
Ryanair shareholders approve aircraft purchase - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0618/457242-ryanair-boeing-purchase/)

My favourite paragraph out of all this:

Current trading is "fine", despite a "blip" last week caused by the "crazy strike" by French air traffic controllers which cost a "couple of million quid". He said it again highlights the abject failure of the European authorities on behalf of air passengers. He said: "You have the Parliament and the Commission sitting there waffling on about passenger rights and doing things for passengers, when the one useful thing they could do is remove the right to strike from about 10,000 air traffic controllers."

Never a truer word was spoken!!

EI-A330-300
18th Jun 2013, 18:35
Are Ryanair to start services from Paris-LBG. Tomorrow FR are operating a flight from DUB to Paris-LBG.

Departure
07.15 Paris-LBG FR2003
08.15 Paris-LBG FR2003

Arrival
12.35 Paris-LBG FR2004
15.10 Paris-LBG FR2004

Clearly only one will operate but it gives enough time for a press conference.

LGS6753
18th Jun 2013, 18:44
It's the Paris Air Show.

Corporate away-day?

EI-A330-300
18th Jun 2013, 19:37
Never even considered that, most likely it.

davidjohnson6
19th Jun 2013, 01:07
AIRSHOW-Ryanair to firm up $16 bln Boeing 737 deal | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/18/air-show-boeing-ryanair-idUSWEB006U620130618)

FRatSTN
19th Jun 2013, 17:59
Do not take my word for it by I think it might look like Ryanair is considering flying to Bournemouth throughout the winter this year.

Based on something I've noticed several years ago about the way the Ryanair website displays a search with no flights available... it seems that 7 routes could be available from Bournemouth throughout the coming winter:

ALICANTE
BARCELONA (GIRONA)
GRAN CANARIA
LANZAROTE
MALAGA
TENERIFE-SOUTH
WROCLAW

To see what I mean, go on the Ryanair website, and search for example "Bournemouth to Alicante, from January 13th till 20th" you will see that those dates are highlighted in yellow (but no flights available).

Now select a route not in that list of 7 above, take Pisa for example for the same dates... "Bournemouth to Pisa, from January 13th till 20th", Now you will see that strangely the 17th and 20th January are highlighted in yellow and do not line up on the page like before, despite you entering
the exact same dates as before.

It's really bizarre but I've found over the years that it seems to be that when they display like the Alicante search shows you, it means that flights may go on sale soon. If it shows like the Pisa search did, then it seems no flights are expected to be put on sale at all.

But it can change, for example a few days ago I put East Midlands to Palma de Mallorca for the same dates in January and I got the layout that suggested there would be no flights at all.

I checked again today and that has now changed (like that of the BOH-ALC search) where the dates highlighted in yellow are the exact dates I selected and line up on the page.

I would therefore now expect to see East Midlands to Palma de Mallorca available for the winter season, so watch this space also.

The vice versa can also happen however where it looks like a route could be put on sale but then ends up changing and thus ends up not going on sale at all (that's why I say don't take my word for it regarding Bournemouth winter flights), albeit fairly rare to do so. Generally though, as weird as it is, it's a fairly accurate indication as to what routes will operate and which won't.

However, the 7 routes it suggests for Bournemouth though seem pretty typical and realistic ones for winter services and the Wroclaw winter schedule has been re-jigged a bit, perhaps to make way for a Bournemouth flight on a Wroclaw aircraft? Maybe since the 7 possible routes are all Ryanair bases themselves, Bournemouth may act as a destination airport through the winter? Too hard to say I suppose!

I'd keep an eye on this anyway but would't get too excitied at this stage.

racedo
19th Jun 2013, 18:37
I'd keep an eye on this anyway but would't get too excitied at this stage.

Its a decent call and goes with the suggestion made at Annual results that there was no plan to ground as many aircraft as in previous winters.

BOH would be one of those places to benefit.

FRatSTN
19th Jun 2013, 18:44
Yes. The number of grounded aircraft this winter is set to decrease from 80 to around 60 the last I heard.

RAT 5
20th Jun 2013, 01:40
That would suggest a different crewing level. If crews are being burnt out to 900 hrs by end January it could be handled because so many a/c were grounded and the company flight hours reduced that many crews had leave in the winter as they were not needed. (RYR's year ends March 31) I heard summer leave was nearly extinct. If the productivity is to be increased by 20% in the winter, and crews still need to take leave, then that suggests more crews. Does RYR have them? Also applies to cabin crew.

LGS6753
20th Jun 2013, 15:38
From the 'Telegraph' -

Ryanair to return £858m to investors as demand surges - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10131928/Ryanair-to-return-858m-to-investors-as-demand-surges.html)

and

Ryanair plans long-haul services - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10131636/Ryanair-plans-long-haul-services.html)

FR8364
22nd Jun 2013, 15:50
Does someone know if Ryanair is cancelling Gatwick-Seville and Gatwick-Kaunas flights for Winter Season 2013-14?

Currently, they are only displaying Gatwick-Ireland routes on their website and SVQ and KUN seem to be dropped. In fact, they have added an extra flight SVQ-STN on Saturdays rotation for WS'13.

Regards.

FRatSTN
22nd Jun 2013, 18:26
It doesn't look like it I'm afraid, still relatively early days though.

j636
24th Jun 2013, 16:17
Ryanair: with or without the frills? - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10139204/Ryanair-with-or-without-the-frills.html)

I got a laugh from reading this...

Does someone know if Ryanair is cancelling Gatwick-Seville and Gatwick-Kaunas flights for Winter Season 2013-14?

Currently, they are only displaying Gatwick-Ireland routes on their website and SVQ and KUN seem to be dropped. In fact, they have added an extra flight SVQ-STN on Saturdays rotation for WS'13.

Regards.

Open to correction but those routes were suspended last winter over Gatwick fees so most likely not operating

EZY7117LPL
24th Jun 2013, 16:52
Some of the comments in that article are just ridiculous!

I absolutely love Ryanair, they offer an excellent service (in my expericnce) and generally at the cheapest price, they are one of the safest and most punctual airlines. All of the things people were moaning about were optional extras, if you follow the rules you can't go wrong. They have opened up fantastic oppurtunities across europe and a little bit further and have created/sustained (not just in Ryanair) probably millions of jobs and boosted economies by increasing tourism. I can't find a reason to moan at all.

One of the comments on there was along the lines of "I will never fly Ryanair again, I had 3 bags of hand luggage and they charged me to put 2 of them in the hold"

pwalhx
24th Jun 2013, 17:07
To be fair the complaint was how much they charged to put the bags in the hold, not the fact they had.

farci
25th Jun 2013, 08:04
To be fair the complaint was how much they charged to put the bags in the hold, not the fact they had]pwalhx is correct. I thought it was a very clever response to FR's attempt to influence free speech. The article would have been even better if they had compared the 'supplementary' costs on FR with another carrier on the same day, same route.

If Skyscanner is reading this - there's your new product idea! (Subject to my 10% commission plus 2.5% for credit card) :8

FRatSTN
25th Jun 2013, 20:11
East Midlands to Palma Mallorca like I suspected is now available for the winter season. Operates Wednesday's and Saturday's. Let's hope Bournemouth follows suit.

MARKEYD
25th Jun 2013, 20:24
Absolute fingers crossed for Bournemouth !

If Doncaster can manage a TFS service for the winter then hopefully BOH can do the same

airsmiles
26th Jun 2013, 07:52
I agree with MARKEYD. It seems mad that RYR, with all of their commercial prowess, can't make a go of a single based a/c in winter at BOH. Even using a minimal based crew to operate some flights a week must be better than having another B738 stored for 4 or 5 months with no revenue to cover the capital cost of the a/c?

MARKEYD
26th Jun 2013, 12:04
FR at STN

Your hunch came true about Bournemouth !!

See Bournemouth post , and hopefully more to come

Seljuk22
30th Jun 2013, 07:39
6th Nov: MAD-Rabat 4 weekly
7th Nov: GRO-Rabat 3 weekly
Ryanair Anuncia Dos Nuevas Rutas A Rabat Desde Madrid Y Girona (http://www.ryanair.com/es/novedades/ryanair-anuncia-dos-nuevas-rutas-a-rabat-desde-madrid-y-girona)

eu01
1st Jul 2013, 12:16
Ryanair's Michael Cawley to step down in March (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanairs-michael-cawley-to-step-down-in-march-29385800.html) (next year). Just tired, or is there any other reason for that?
(http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1&ct2=uk%2F1_0_s_2_1_a&sa=t&usg=AFQjCNFyy8ypBIyhRKQcPgk4uv7AcQEMXg&cid=52778191360312&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.ie%2Fbusiness%2Firish%2Frya nairs-michael-cawley-to-step-down-in-march-29385800.html&ei=PnHRUcDqG-GUiAaMvAE&sig2=QwgZUE1czSs78tMRHCWoaw&rt=SECTION&vm=STANDARD&bvm=section&did=-8235790131645159231&sid=4847157809650630590)

takingoff
1st Jul 2013, 16:49
Doubt he left on bad terms as he's been put onto the board and given such a long notice period.

I'm sure working at that level for Ryanair has its pressures and you have to get out at some point after 16 years of service.

racedo
1st Jul 2013, 18:03
You don't announce you leaving in 8 months time if you a bad leaver.

Giving age is 58 its not really a shock that someone has decided to get off the threadmill and enjoy life.

BOH
2nd Jul 2013, 23:17
So the Bournemouth Daily Echo is reporting a 'major announcement' about the Ryanair winter operation there tomorrow with the airline describing it as 'signigicant'.

Is this what we already know or something else in the pipeline?

Nakata77
3rd Jul 2013, 02:56
I doubt the announcement is anything more significant than a continuation of the based aircraft through the winter. It could even be as minor as the continuation of a select few routes without the based aircraft.

A truly significant announcement would be if they based more than 1 aircraft. Perhaps they will also commit to the previously hoped for 5 aircraft that Ryanair famously mentioned they wanted to base at BOH. Although to do this in the weakest period of the year would be a bit stupid.

eu01
3rd Jul 2013, 09:04
"Ryanair overtook LOT Polish Airlines in terms of the number of passengers served on Polish airports in 2012 and is now Poland's most popular airline", reported Warsaw Business Journal (http://www.wbj.pl/article-63205-ryanair-becomes-the-most-popular-airline-in-poland.html?typ=pam) today.