PDA

View Full Version : DUBLIN - 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]

owenc
14th Jul 2017, 00:27
Dublin is not at a location that would promote massive volumes of connecting traffic. Sure you've got the Atlantic traffic but the geographic location is only marginally superior to the likes of LHR and AMS.

Dubai is situated between Europe and Asia. Quite the difference there.

Y

cuthere
14th Jul 2017, 11:20
Is it? Who knew? Dublin is situated halfway between Dubai and the US, just as another statement of geographic fact.

The point I was making, and which you have reinforced, is that the population of the island, country, city etc that an airport serves often has no direct influence on the number of pax that the airport sees.

AerRyan
14th Jul 2017, 11:24
Is it? Who knew? Dublin is situated halfway between Dubai and the US, just as another statement of geographic fact.

The point I was making, and which you have reinforced, is that the population of the island, country, city etc that an airport serves often has no direct influence on the number of pax that the airport sees.

Yes it does, it's the most direct influence. When population is sizeable but not significant, this allows other things to build up, like the hub in DXB. The main advantage of the hub there is that you can transfer to Australia, New Zealand and alot of unserved Asia.

Sober Lark
14th Jul 2017, 13:33
DUB probably first to market with US Preclearance and has certainly demonstrated a demand. Unfortunately growth and competitive advantage is lost due to airfield characteristics (capacity constraints, performance & resilience to mention a few) which have arisen due to poor planning.

EI-A330-300
15th Jul 2017, 14:53
Only 30% of transit traffic is to/from the UK. In that 30% London Heathrow is by far the bussiest transit route followed by Edinburgh and Manchester.

Una Due Tfc
15th Jul 2017, 15:06
Only 30% of transit traffic is to/from the UK. In that 30% London Heathrow is by far the bussiest transit route followed by Edinburgh and Manchester.

Is much of that IAG (BA specifically) pax being moved onto EI flights due cancellations etc?

EI-A330-300
15th Jul 2017, 15:14
Is much of that IAG (BA specifically) pax being moved onto EI flights due cancellations etc?

No.

If AA/BA cancel they are well able to accommodate the majority of passengers most days themselves and if EI cancel it dons't mean passengers will be routed via BA at LHR or with AA ex DUB.

AerRyan
15th Jul 2017, 22:36
No.

If AA/BA cancel they are well able to accommodate the majority of passengers most days themselves and if EI cancel it dons't mean passengers will be routed via BA at LHR or with AA ex DUB.

EI normally have the capacity to self-accommodate passengers on cancelled services?

EI-A330-300
16th Jul 2017, 00:16
EI normally have the capacity to self-accommodate passengers on cancelled services?

Not always but if they cancel a DUB/LHR service they will get all away on other flights. If they cancel a T/A service they will get as many onto other remaining flights and using partners in the US to get passengers to home.

DUB probably first to market with US Preclearance and has certainly demonstrated a demand. Unfortunately growth and competitive advantage is lost due to airfield characteristics (capacity constraints, performance & resilience to mention a few) which have arisen due to poor planning.

Yes things are not prefect but saying growth is lost is mad considering transit is up 50%. T/A traffic is up by almost 270,000 on first half of 2016 with July expected to pass 400,000 in a single month.

racedo
16th Jul 2017, 11:59
Nobody is considering the effect Brexit will have on TA flights.

EU/US agreements become void for UK when UK no longer in EU.

In addition as MOL pointed out what happens to inter UK/UK flights from March 2019.......... UK/Ireland have a pre existing agreement so not affected.

However with LHR transit passengers from EU there is a complete different set of circumstances and that will offer opportunities.

AerRyan
16th Jul 2017, 12:03
UK/Ireland have a pre existing agreement so not affected.

Are you talking about the CTA? It would be dangerous to assume that won't be affected if other deals are.

racedo
16th Jul 2017, 12:22
Are you talking about the CTA? It would be dangerous to assume that won't be affected if other deals are.

CTA will not be affected............ that appears to the reading of it from EU/UK and Ireland plus the airlines.

Therefore if pretty much appear all in same line who offers a contra opinion ? and who would push it ?

AerRyan
16th Jul 2017, 12:40
CTA will not be affected............ that appears to the reading of it from EU/UK and Ireland plus the airlines.

Therefore if pretty much appear all in same line who offers a contra opinion ? and who would push it ?

The EU may well not allow it, how could you have freedom of movement to some part of the EU but not all of it? It simply wouldn't work. To me, it's either entire free movement (like a Swiss type scenario), or no free movement into the EU. Forget that agendas both the UK and ROI governments are saying they 'hope' for. It's really irrelevant to what comes to pass. you

racedo
16th Jul 2017, 13:56
The EU may well not allow it, how could you have freedom of movement to some part of the EU but not all of it? It simply wouldn't work. To me, it's either entire free movement (like a Swiss type scenario), or no free movement into the EU. Forget that agendas both the UK and ROI governments are saying they 'hope' for. It's really irrelevant to what comes to pass. you

CTA predates EEC Membership and there have been no EU bills to supercede it.

Issue with land border is different and not part of the issue................ that is a Customs and movement of goods issue.

Jamie2k9
16th Jul 2017, 18:58
ZRH announced half year growth of 8.6% Looks like they will reach 30 million this year and surpass DUB. DUB may surpass CPH which just reported a growth rate of 2.3% in the first 6 month

daa are always conservative about growth figures, projections for 2017 are around 5% growth (27.9 to 29.2 million). It's probable they will pass this figure slightly but I cannot see them going beyond 29.5.

AerRyan
17th Jul 2017, 20:26
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/number-of-british-travellers-to-dublin-airport-falling-like-a-stone-1.3158056?mode=amp

What was that about British travellers again?

VickersVicount
17th Jul 2017, 20:39
Yet large numbers of UK- DUB routes show increases in CAA data past few months?

PPRuNeUser0176
17th Jul 2017, 21:02
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/number-of-british-travellers-to-dublin-airport-falling-like-a-stone-1.3158056?mode=amp

What was that about British travellers again?

Read the language, "inbound" trips are down, overall numbers are not down 7%. Like previously said the majority of capacity cuts by FR are form the UK because of the latest spat.

Una Due Tfc
30th Jul 2017, 05:06
I see DL have upgauged BOS to a B763 already. Just a brief thing or planned for the rest of the season?

owenc
2nd Aug 2017, 16:04
What's the likelihood of United upgrading its Chicago flight to a 763 for next summer? When/where will this be announced?

CabinCrewe
2nd Aug 2017, 16:25
UA seem not to be expanding too much over the Atlantic, I see LHR losing a daily EWR rotation.

PPRuNeUser0176
2nd Aug 2017, 18:56
I see DL have upgauged BOS to a B763 already. Just a brief thing or planned for the rest of the season?

Not sure if those two rotations were pre planned or just down to aircraft availability. Delta route the aircraft SFO-BOS-DUB-BOS-SFO.

What's the likelihood of United upgrading its Chicago flight to a 763 for next summer? When/where will this be announced?

UA seem not to be expanding too much over the Atlantic, I see LHR losing a daily EWR rotation.

UA planned B763 for 3/6 months this year but ti was withdrawn soon afterwords. Not sure if a commercial or operational decision.

Fairdealfrank
2nd Aug 2017, 19:20

Denmark, Norway and Sweden have had a common travel area since the early 20th century, very similar in fact to the CTA (UK and Ireland). From 1973 to the start of the EEA in 1994 Denmark was in the EU, Norway and Sweden were not, and it worked fine, so don't anticipate problems where they don't have to be any.

alserire
5th Aug 2017, 10:33
Taking over an hour to deliver some bags in T2 today. Shocking.

PPRuNeUser0176
10th Aug 2017, 16:01
Aer Lingus Winter Schedule

Aer Lingus has unveiled what it says is its largest ever winter schedule, including 350 extra transatlantic flights. In total, 300,000 additional seats are being added - 194,000 of which will be rolled out across short-haul services on European routes.

Long-haul:
* 350 more transatlantic flights for Winter 2017
* 13% increase in transtlantic capacity compared to 2016 (106,000)
* New Airbus A330-300 in operation for full winter season
* 12 flights per week to US West Coast

Short-haul:
* 194,000 more seats to Europe
* New winter route to Bilbao
* 47,000 extra seats to key European cities of Hamburg, Bordeaux and Zurich
* Additional 50,000 seats to Birmingham
* Additional 56,000 seats on new peak morning flight from Dublin to London

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/aer-lingus-adds-two-new-routes-and-300000-seats-in-biggest-ever-winter-schedule-36019072.html

PPRuNeUser0176
10th Aug 2017, 18:27
Aegean have extended ATH from 23 September until 8 January, then resuming on 28 March (June-Sep this summer). Good winter schedule as well, should do well.

PPRuNeUser0176
13th Aug 2017, 17:20
Hainan Airlines close to finalising scheduling on Beijing-Dublin flights - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/world/hainan-airlines-close-to-finalising-scheduling-on-beijingdublin-flights-36026037.html)
China's Hainan Airlines is close to agreeing a direct scheduled flight from Dublin to Beijing for the upcoming winter season, according to a number of sources.

Discussions have been under way for some time between the airline and Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) and the airline is close to finalising a schedule for the flights, the Sunday Independent has learned. The flight will operate on alternate days to Dublin and Edinburgh in Scotland and this has added complexity to the scheduling and slot negotiations, it is understood. Hainan Airlines is China's fourth-largest carrier and is owned by the huge HNA conglomerate, which also owns Dublin-based aircraft leasing firm Avolon.

A DAA spokesman said it "does not comment on whether or not it is in discussions with specific airlines in relation to potential new services".

EI-A330-300
14th Aug 2017, 12:19
3,121,469 passengers in July up 6% (176,000). Worth noteing 3 of 4 days over Bank Holiday weekend last yeae fell in July, all in August this year.

Europe 1.7 million +7%
UK 896,000 -- flat, less than 0.05% change.
Transatlantic 404,000 +18%
Middle East 91,000 +8%
Domestic 10,000 +22%

Year to date over 16.9 million +6%

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/new-record-for-dublin-airport-in-july

racedo
14th Aug 2017, 17:56
3,121,469 passengers in July up 6% (176,000). Worth noteing 3 of 4 days over Bank Holiday weekend last yeae fell in July, all in August this year.

Europe 1.7 million +7%
UK 896,000 -- flat, less than 0.05% change.
Transatlantic 404,000 +18%
Middle East 91,000 +8%
Domestic 10,000 +22%

Year to date over 16.9 million +6%

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/new-record-for-dublin-airport-in-july

What are rolling 12 months numbers. ?

EI-A330-300
14th Aug 2017, 19:04
What are rolling 12 months numbers. ?

Rowling in about 28.9

China's Hainan Airlines is close to agreeing a direct scheduled flight from Dublin to Beijing for the upcoming winter season, according to a number of sources.

It does appear it's more credible this time. October might be a little optimistic start.

1sky
14th Aug 2017, 21:23
It is interesting to think that DUB today is handling the number of passenger LHR was in the early-1980s.

j636
14th Aug 2017, 23:53
It does look like a done deal, according to colleagues in our Dublin office (non aviation related), Hainan had some concerns but they have been sorted out and it's a case of when not if it happens now.

It's going to be a route that will go from strength to strength. Another good result in terms of route development, a lot of regions could learn a few things.

owenc
14th Aug 2017, 23:58
Hawaiian? I think you mean Hainan.

j636
15th Aug 2017, 00:03
Indeed I do.

Alteagod
15th Aug 2017, 11:23
I would say this would be a very popular cargo option as well as for humans

seanwd94
16th Aug 2017, 01:47
Is there any news of a regular direct flights between Dublin and Tokyo after JAL's charter last week?

airbourne
17th Aug 2017, 09:00
Aer Lingus Winter Schedule

Aer Lingus adds two new routes and 300,000 seats in biggest ever winter schedule - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/aer-lingus-adds-two-new-routes-and-300000-seats-in-biggest-ever-winter-schedule-36019072.html)

So all the talk about LAS is not happening now?

Shamrock350
17th Aug 2017, 13:15
So all the talk about LAS is not happening now?

All the talk about LAS actually came from one comment in a single interview with the CEO where he mentioned it was something they were looking into. It was never mentioned again apart from here and on other forums which ran with it and assumed an announcement was imminent.

I'd say it's still a route they'd consider but there's other routes more likely in my opinion.

PPRuNeUser0176
20th Aug 2017, 12:49
Norwegian appear to be recruiting for 737MAX pilot base at DUB, the add says US and European routes.

AerRyan
24th Aug 2017, 14:00
EI regional/ Stobart Winter changes

*NCL reducing from 16weekly to 7 weekly.
*ABZ reducing from 11 weekly to 10 weekly.
*BHX increasing from 4 daily to 5 daily.
*BRS from 23 weekly to 19 weekly.
*EDI from 37 weekly to 27 weekly.
*GLA from 30 weekly to 26 weekly.
*IOM from 12 weekly to 11 weekly.
*MAN from 35 weekly to 38 weekly.

24th Aug 2017, 14:19
So that appears to be a net loss of 19 rotations. Are Stobart just going to park the aircraft up? Or are there to be new destinations? Or will there be an increase in capacity out of Cork/Shannon? Or will they be operating more flights for FlyBe?

24th Aug 2017, 14:40
Potentially this is where they are getting the capacity to operate the Dublin-Southend service?

Just a spotter
24th Aug 2017, 17:15
A reduction in services between Ireland and Britian ... welcome to the new normal!

I was speaking with a number of people during the National Heritage Week (Aug 19-27) who run events and sites of interest and they all said they've seen a drop off in the number of UK visitors over the summer. Words used were "noticable", "significant" and "big".

That won't be helped with the continued decline in the vaule of Sterling.

JAS

LAX_LHR
24th Aug 2017, 17:31
Or maybe the Brits are heading elsewhere but Ireland?

With most UK airports reporting very large rises in pax numbers, including many seeing 'their busiest months ever', clearly there are still lots travelling, and they have to be going somewhere.......

inOban
24th Aug 2017, 17:50
I think people booked their holiday quite a while ago. I noticed that the %increases in July were less than in June. It will be interesting to see if the winter traffic holds up.

EI-A330-300
24th Aug 2017, 18:57
Or maybe the Brits are heading elsewhere but Ireland?

With most UK airports reporting very large rises in pax numbers, including many seeing 'their busiest months ever', clearly there are still lots travelling, and they have to be going somewhere.......

You typical type of Brit that holidays here would be their 2 or 3rd holiday per year for 3-4 days not your typical week or two week holiday......if money is tight you will obviously chose your annual holiday over a short break.

EI regional/ Stobart Winter changes

*NCL reducing from 16weekly to 7 weekly.
*BHX increasing from 4 daily to 5 daily.
*BRS from 23 weekly to 19 weekly.
*GLA from 30 weekly to 26 weekly.
*IOM from 12 weekly to 11 weekly.
*MAN from 35 weekly to 38 weekly.

Some of those cuts are incorrect particularly EDI/GLA/ABZ.

AerRyan
24th Aug 2017, 18:59
Some of those cuts are incorrect particularly EDI/GLA/ABZ.

All obtained today so they should be mostly correct, could you point out the inaccuracies?

EI-A330-300
24th Aug 2017, 19:05
All obtained today so they should be mostly correct, could you point out the inaccuracies?

I will when I get a better look but I am sure that last winter's freq are slightly incorrect so the reduction look bigger than they are but overall there are some cuts and it's Stobart who decided them not EI.

AerRyan
24th Aug 2017, 19:13
Never implied that EI made the cuts, however the flights are branded Are Lingus regional so I put that in for recognition.

Newcastle is perhaps the worst decrease, with flights being cut more than in half.

EI-A330-300
24th Aug 2017, 19:29
Have crossed checked schedules last year and actual ops and conclude the following:

EDI operated average of 24-27 weekly last winter.

*GLA from 30 weekly to 26 weekly

GLA operated average of 25 weekly last winter.

My info says daily only before increasing to 11 weekly in April 17.

BRS looks about right while NCL is as well.

The 30/37 weekly are early/late summer periods frequency and not winter ones.

LAX_LHR
24th Aug 2017, 19:37
You typical type of Brit that holidays here would be their 2 or 3rd holiday per year for 3-4 days not your typical week or two week holiday......if money is tight you will obviously chose your annual holiday over a short break.

But that still doesn't answer the question does it?

the rise in passenger figures from UK regionals does not point to people cutting out breaks, it indicates more people are going away than ever, if you think about it. UK regionals are predominantly outbound markets, so, take this example:

Let's just say a couple goes on 4 short breaks per Anum and 1 big 2 week holiday. That's 10 pax in the system per year.

That couple then decides, as suggested here, money is tight, so go on one big 2 week holiday and perhaps 1 short break, that 4 pax in the system. That would then result in less passengers through the airports and thus negative figures, but, that's not happening, is it, it's the opposite.

So, that's why I originally said that Maybe it just suggests that people want to go elsewhere for their breaks.

EI-A330-300
24th Aug 2017, 20:08
But that still doesn't answer the question does it?

the rise in passenger figures from UK regionals does not point to people cutting out breaks, it indicates more people are going away than ever, if you think about it. UK regionals are predominantly outbound markets, so, take this example:

Let's just say a couple goes on 4 short breaks per Anum and 1 big 2 week holiday. That's 10 pax in the system per year.

That couple then decides, as suggested here, money is tight, so go on one big 2 week holiday and perhaps 1 short break, that 4 pax in the system. That would then result in less passengers through the airports and thus negative figures, but, that's not happening, is it, it's the opposite.

So, that's why I originally said that Maybe it just suggests that people want to go elsewhere for their breaks.

Less trips, more price sensitive people i.e a trip to Barcelona will likely be less than one to Dublin so you can s

FR have also taken capacity out because of the daa spat and this has lead to less 9.99 fares for example which would drive a lot of volume and those looking for a cheap deal.

EI-BUD
24th Aug 2017, 22:18
Aer Lingus regional are not as exposed to a declining inbound market to Ireland from the UK as others are, I would suggest. There work is significant in feeding pax IRL UK from US and vice versa...when I've flown to GLA or EDI with them a big portion of the passengers are ex US...

AerRyan
24th Aug 2017, 23:34
No more inbound from NCL with the new schedule anyway.

PPRuNeUser0176
26th Aug 2017, 23:47
WOW increase from 9 to 11 weekly next summer (14 May).

TBH I am a little surprised growing so well, one wonders if 2 daily will be the limit? and will Icelandair will start at some stage?

AerRyan
27th Aug 2017, 12:25
11 to 14pw from May next year apparently.

Ryanair also supposedly announcing summer schedule on TUE.

PPRuNeUser0176
27th Aug 2017, 14:32
11 to 14pw from May next year apparently.

Differently 9 to 11, it has never operated at 11 weekly this year.

Ryanair also supposedly announcing summer schedule on TUE.

Might be a new route or two but one could already served at DUB.

PPRuNeUser0176
29th Aug 2017, 09:59
New routes to Munich (2 daily), Stuttgart (1 daily) in addition to Naples already announced for winter.

New routes to Paphas (2 weekly) and resuming Marrakech (2 weekly) in March.

Increase Hamburg to daily and Naples to 5 weekly in summer.

Capacity increased by 450,000 seats next summer.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-launches-dublin-s18-schedule-5-new-routes-to-marrakech-munich-naples-paphos-stuttgart/?market=ie

A320.b744
29th Aug 2017, 17:49
Rumour has it Cathay Pacific will be launching flights to Dublin. They've currently got a Facebook competition to guess the names of the three 'beer related' destinations that they're launching. It looks like DUB will be joined by BRU and CPH.

Cozy F
29th Aug 2017, 22:44
TI figures out today showing a slowdown for Irish tourism in the peak summer with expected decline in British tourists concerningly matched by lower annual visitors from mainland Europe.

PPRuNeUser0176
29th Aug 2017, 22:55
TI figures out today showing a slowdown for Irish tourism in the peak summer with expected decline in British tourists concerningly matched by lower annual visitors from mainland Europe.

One month decline out of seven (for Europe) can't really be read into very much. I do agree it is a concern.

Rumour has it Cathay Pacific will be launching flights to Dublin. They've currently got a Facebook competition to guess the names of the three 'beer related' destinations that they're launching. It looks like DUB will be joined by BRU and CPH.

Dallas appears more likely from what I have read.

canberra97
30th Aug 2017, 10:25
I think DUB along with BRU and CPH were mentioned because CX have stated that three new European destinations are to be added to their network along with their Facebook page indicating that they will be 'beer' related hence DUB was mentioned and not DFW.

30th Aug 2017, 10:37
If it's just European and associated with beer, they also have gaps at Munich, Prague, Berlin and Cologne. Are there any other reasons to believe it may be Dublin?

How is the runway for Hong Kong nowadays? I know that previously, it used to be said that a Dublin-Hong Kong route would not be viable as it would not be possible to take full cargo onboard because of the length of the runway in Dublin. Is this still an issue for A350s (as in Cathay's fleet) or 787s?

AerRyan
30th Aug 2017, 13:44
Yes however not a major one.

PPRuNeUser0176
31st Aug 2017, 09:42
Cathay Pacific have announced 4 weekly service from next June. A350-900.

00.50-06.45 - 11.55-07.05 - Summer
00.15-05.30 - 11.00-07.30 - Winter

owenc
31st Aug 2017, 10:08
Congratulations Dublin! Maybe use it in a while.

seanwd94
31st Aug 2017, 11:30
Congratulations Dublin! Maybe use it in a while.

Do you think news of the Hong Kong flights will increase the chances of a Tokyo announcement?

Wycombe
31st Aug 2017, 11:32
Cathay Pacific have announced 4 weekly service from next June. A350-900.

Would that be the longest direct scheduled flight off Dublin's current runway infrastructure?

BFS101
31st Aug 2017, 11:35
Brilliant news!! Now fingers crossed for Beijing

Noxegon
31st Aug 2017, 18:12
Would that be the longest direct scheduled flight off Dublin's current runway infrastructure?

Yes – it's further than LAX which was the longest previously.

alserire
31st Aug 2017, 19:33
As an Aer Club member I'm delighted. Won't have to fly BA to the east anymore to collect Avios :D

Noxegon
31st Aug 2017, 20:36
Assuming of course that Avios are awarded properly. In my experience that's far from certain.

seanwd94
1st Sep 2017, 01:01
Any news of Japan Airlines doing the same?

OneBellEnd
1st Sep 2017, 10:22
Musings from today's Irish Times.

Irish tourismindustry only a Trump tantrum away from disaster (http://email.mammoth.tv/t/r-l-jlitfx-dtjllhjktk-f/)

canberra97
1st Sep 2017, 21:27
Any news of Japan Airlines doing the same?

You have posed the question twice now.

What's the obsession with Japan Airlines and Tokyo?

I think there are bigger candidates in Europe that would see such a service before Dublin.

seanwd94
2nd Sep 2017, 02:31
You have posed the question twice now.

What's the obsession with Japan Airlines and Tokyo?

I think there are bigger candidates in Europe that would see such a service before Dublin.

Well, given that they chartered a flight to Dublin last month, I was beginning to think that JAL was looking at starting regular direct flights.

Skipness One Echo
2nd Sep 2017, 03:14
@canberra97 who put you in charge of what people are allowed to ask? You're also having a go at a poor chap on the Gatwick thread who asked another question you disapproved of. Now leave off mate, you're embarrasing yourself. Again. I learn by asking, now pipe down and let people be.

JAL is an outside chance as DUB is of course a large Oneworld hub as Aer Lingus rejoin, stranger things have happened, but don't be afraid to ask. There's lots of knowledgable peeps who might help with some info on here. Use the block button if you have to :)

NorthernCounties
2nd Sep 2017, 20:32
Great news on the HKG route. Is there anywhere I can find a list of most popular destination for passengers ex. Dublin that have to connect at another airport? Surely, the likes of São Paulo would be up there no?

AerRyan
2nd Sep 2017, 20:37
JAL - Years off if ever, only the major hubs have flights to Japan. Market filled for now with new HKG. BEJ is possible but my money is on it not happening.

Not much traffic between Ireland and Sao Paulo, even during the Olympics there wasnt much of a demand for a direct charter!

seanwd94
3rd Sep 2017, 06:03
JAL - Years off if ever, only the major hubs have flights to Japan. Market filled for now with new HKG. BEJ is possible but my money is on it not happening.

Not much traffic between Ireland and Sao Paulo, even during the Olympics there wasnt much of a demand for a direct charter!

There must have been a reason why JAL operated a charter to Dublin. I'm sure they were testing the route for future direct flights. It couldn't have been a one off.

AerRyan
3rd Sep 2017, 13:52
There must have been a reason why JAL operated a charter to Dublin. I'm sure they were testing the route for future direct flights. It couldn't have been a one off.

Well you can tell yourself if you wish.

You do realise the point of a charter? They occur all the time? I don't think JAL even sold tickets for the service.

Cian
3rd Sep 2017, 20:14

Someone paid them to do it. The end.

Its entirely plausible that they'll never operate another charter to DUB ever again.

Dontgothere
3rd Sep 2017, 22:31
Normally I would like to be wishful in my thinking - but I'd say that Tokyo is not really the priority in Asia from Dublin. I'd say the next Asian routes in Dublin's range would be Beijing and Bangkok, these are frequently enough mentioned.

After them two - maybe Delhi and Shanghai would be contenders.

seanwd94
3rd Sep 2017, 23:39
Normally I would like to be wishful in my thinking - but I'd say that Tokyo is not really the priority in Asia from Dublin. I'd say the next Asian routes in Dublin's range would be Beijing and Bangkok, these are frequently enough mentioned.

After them two - maybe Delhi and Shanghai would be contenders.

Why isn't Tokyo a priority? Largest city in the world and will be hosting the next Olympics.

AerRyan
3rd Sep 2017, 23:43
Because it's not a realistic hub, it doesn't have a large focus on traffic and the market is very limited.

One or two fairly sketchy reasons don't make a route. We see this all the time with people who think that xxx is a great route because they go there. It's taken an age for DUB to get a Chinese route, this proves the market isn't massive and there won't be a sudden explosion of east asian routes.

seanwd94
3rd Sep 2017, 23:52
Because it's not a realistic hub, it doesn't have a large focus on traffic and the market is very limited.

One or two fairly sketchy reasons don't make a route. We see this all the time with people who think that xxx is a great route because they go there. It's taken an age for DUB to get a Chinese route, this proves the market isn't massive and there won't be a sudden explosion of east asian routes.

Do you think theres a chance it might happen in the next few years? After seeing Cathay Pacific launching flights, will they be tempted to do the same?

A320.b744
4th Sep 2017, 00:46
Dublin will be Cathay Pacific's 13th European destination, whereas Japan Airlines serve only 5 European cities. Europe isn't really a priority for JAL as their partnership with Finnair gives them access to most major European cities, and Helsinki is well placed for a Europe-Asia hub. Dublin is only suited to be a Europe-North America hub given its location, so I can't see JAL entering the market anytime soon.

seanwd94
4th Sep 2017, 02:08
Dublin will be Cathay Pacific's 13th European destination, whereas Japan Airlines serve only 5 European cities. Europe isn't really a priority for JAL as their partnership with Finnair gives them access to most major European cities, and Helsinki is well placed for a Europe-Asia hub. Dublin is only suited to be a Europe-North America hub given its location, so I can't see JAL entering the market anytime soon.

That's a shame. I was starting to be hopeful for a second. That leaves ANA then. What are the chances of them flying to Dublin?

Heathrow Harry
4th Sep 2017, 08:54
same as anyone else in East Asia - not very high

Not much business demand (and that's what pays the bills) and low tourist demand

EI-A330-300
4th Sep 2017, 09:39
KLM up AMS from 5 to 6 daily four days a week next summer.