PDA

View Full Version : DUBLIN - 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

Masteroftheplane
14th Jan 2017, 16:33
Incidentally Arik Air seems to make even Air India look like a paragon of order, discipline and good organisation (have a read of some threads in the African Aviation forum here...) so be careful what you wish for! ;)
14th January 2017:

Pilots and cabin crew members still waiting salaries for August/September/October/November and December 2016...

Come and john us, Arik is looking for you!

PPRuNeUser0176
21st Jan 2017, 16:06
daa have decided to extend the Growth Incentive Scheme until 2019 some might remember FR were not happy in September and said they would slightly reduce capacity for 2017 because no decision was made about extending it beyond 2016.

It's based on traffic exceeding the previous year total figure and airlines are rebated based on each carriers contribution to the additional numbers.

Flightrider
21st Jan 2017, 17:00
So EI have updated slots for many of their Dublin-Gatwick and Gatwick-Knock services this summer to show the aircraft type as an SSJ100 Superjet between late May and mid September. Looking increasingly likely that they will be joining Brussels Airlines as a wet-lease customer for CityJet's services?

PPRuNeUser0176
21st Jan 2017, 17:08
Don't think BA CItyflyer is happening this summer so makes sense.

Una Due Tfc
22nd Jan 2017, 22:25
The second daily UA flight to EWR has been extended by just over a month

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270984/united-s17-international-service-changes-as-of-20jan17/

Now finishes on 27th OCT instead of 24th SEP

Jamie2k9
23rd Jan 2017, 00:24
The second daily UA flight to EWR has been extended by just over a month

United S17 International service changes as of 20JAN17 :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270984/united-s17-international-service-changes-as-of-20jan17/)

Now finishes on 27th OCT instead of 24th SEP

Second daily ran until end of October last year but dropped from 7 to 5 gradually over October. They have just done so many updates over the last few months hard to keep track.

PPRuNeUser0176
23rd Jan 2017, 12:11
WOW have said DUB is amoung 3 airports which may become their next European base to feed traffic from Europe-DUB-US. Decision to be made soon but has said congestion could be a problem.

vkid
24th Jan 2017, 06:58
Surprising there hasn't been any discussion on the issues with security / immigration at Dublin Airport/Aer Lingus that emerged yesterday (http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/18m-peoplesmuggling-ring-involving-aer-lingus-staff-has-italian-mafia-and-chinese-triad-links-35392856.html). Seems to be a fairly significant security failure there imo.

Una Due Tfc
24th Jan 2017, 09:16
Surprising there hasn't been any discussion on the issues with security / immigration at Dublin Airport/Aer Lingus that emerged yesterday (http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/18m-peoplesmuggling-ring-involving-aer-lingus-staff-has-italian-mafia-and-chinese-triad-links-35392856.html). Seems to be a fairly significant security failure there imo.

There's very little you can say when there's an on going investigation. Many on here would work in the airport and as such really can't comment on it.

OneBellEnd
24th Jan 2017, 15:57
I don't think this kind of coverage helps to encourage the case for maintaining a soft frontier when Immigration control seems to be the big topic of the day for UK brexit :((

PPRuNeUser0176
24th Jan 2017, 16:10
I don't think this kind of coverage helps to encourage the case for maintaining a soft frontier when Immigration control seems to be the big topic of the day for UK brexit

API will be compulsory shortly for all passengers flying to/from ROI. You can be sure DUB is not the first and won't be the last where this has happened. If I was an airport operator I would urgently review rules/policies in relation to this at any airport.

Passports/ID are now all been scanned on arrival (phased basic started this month).

BTW it's far easier to get into the UK by ferry than going to the effort to fly into DUB first.....or just take the Eurostar via Lille as exposed by the DM.

racedo
24th Jan 2017, 17:39
Passports/ID are now all been scanned on arrival (phased basic started this month).

Travelled into Dublin between Christmas and New Year, immigration was a joke. Best part of 1000 people queuing in T1 immigration area with half the booths closed plus another queue back up the stairs and onto the escalator (thankfully turned off).
When getting to a booth the passports (multiple ones) were looked at for 10 seconds total, no scanning or checking or anything. That is not Immigration control.
Kind of like normal weekend Stansted.

The distance between Gate and Immigration is an issue (not just at Dublin) hence maybe a mobile immigration unit to sit at a particular gate/(s) where passengers checked soon as they get off a plane and then full immigration again in normal place.

In many smaller airports there is no where to hide/wait for hours post get off until approach immigration, in the bigger ones there is.

j636
24th Jan 2017, 17:47
Questions must be asked how they managed to skip controls when they entered Europe, they didnt fly from China to Dublin direct. Clearly there is a problem at DUB but security in Europe is the root cause as they should of been picked up.

racedo

Distance doesn't really come into it considering passengers couldn't access other areas as its all secure without help. Long or short distance couldn't stop this.

Oh and been in both terminals in recent months and its T2 were its started earlier this month.

vkid
24th Jan 2017, 18:05
Not buying the 'happens at other airports too' line of thinking, maybe it does but by all accounts this has been going on in Dublin for years. I would hope it doesn't considering its near impossible to get a tube of toothpaste past security as a joe soap passenger, never mind airline staff helping to smuggle in immigrants.

It's a big failing of both the airline and Dublin security in my opinion, but sure whatever you're having yourself.

PPRuNeUser0176
24th Jan 2017, 18:27
vkid

I never suggest it wasn't a major failure however this wasn't the first point missed in Europe and then you factor in Italian authorities issues.

racedo
24th Jan 2017, 18:36
Not buying the 'happens at other airports too' line of thinking, maybe it does but by all accounts this has been going on in Dublin for years. I would hope it doesn't considering its near impossible to get a tube of toothpaste past security as a joe soap passenger, never mind airline staff helping to smuggle in immigrants.

The idea it doesn't happen at other airports is laughable, one only has to look at Gatwick which had a couple of the Fundies arrested who worked there 12 years ago.

Getting people into positions in airlines / service companys is easy, google Airline staff drug busts and see what comes up.

racedo
24th Jan 2017, 18:39
Distance doesn't really come into it considering passengers couldn't access other areas as its all secure without help. Long or short distance couldn't stop this.

Getting from one section to another would not be that difficult just need people who could do it, stuff goes in and out and why would you check empty trolleys coming out used to carry in toilet paper etc.

j636
24th Jan 2017, 18:59
I get your point however in this case, they impersonated EI staff and didnt go in the terminal. Its appears to be a slick operation. Not something thats easily fixed.

Vkid - your not that stupid to think traffickers would be content with processing less than 100 per a year. Its peanuts to them and not worth it.

racedo
24th Jan 2017, 22:02
Fake US embassy in Ghana shut down after a decade - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/04/africa/fake-american-embassy-ghana/index.html)

FAKE US Consulate operated for 10 years.

Course have load of people coming on a Tourist Visa and never leaving would never happen or a bent official in an Embassy.

Irish Official Suspected of Passport Selling - latimes (http://articles.latimes.com/1987-04-13/news/mn-595_1_irish-passport)

PPRuNeUser0176
26th Jan 2017, 12:39
Michael O'Leary had his say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=601&v=NOloAakGKsM

racedo
26th Jan 2017, 14:52
Michael O'Leary had his say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=NOloAakGKsM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=601&v=NOloAakGKsM)

That was funny, though his colleague does look like a Vulcan with pointy ears.

Very supportive of Garda / Immigration, not an Aer Lingus issue and highlights issue which posted about a couple of days ago about Immigration booths in T1.

Skipness One Echo
27th Jan 2017, 02:32
Are Aer Lingus finally outsourcing all of their ground staff to Swissport?

EI-A330-300
27th Jan 2017, 13:43
Are Aer Lingus finally outsourcing all of their ground staff to Swissport?

They want to, but not sure about the progress.

EI-A330-300
31st Jan 2017, 19:20
The 2.4 billion Metro North Project which is scheduled to start construction in 2021 (2026/7 completion) may be brought forward with construction starting in 2019 under new capital plans. Unlikely to get to a definite decision until June/July.

It's been 12 years since MN and MW were both first announced.....so take the current and new dates with a big "maybe". There does however appear more political will now than ever for it.

Una Due Tfc
31st Jan 2017, 22:32
The 2.4 billion Metro North Project which is scheduled to start construction in 2021 (2026/7 completion) may be brought forward with construction starting in 2019 under new capital plans. Unlikely to get to a definite decision until June/July.

It's been 12 years since MN and MW were both first announced.....so take the current and new dates with a big "maybe". There does however appear more political will now than ever for it.

Is it true that a metro station was built under T1 in the 70s in anticipation of this? I know it sounds like a ridiculous rumour but I've heard it from more than one person who works in the airport? Supposedly directly beneath the disused spiral car parks between T1 and T2?

PPRuNeUser0176
31st Jan 2017, 22:55
Is it true that a metro station was built under T1 in the 70s in anticipation of this? I know it sounds like a ridiculous rumour but I've heard it from more than one person who works in the airport? Supposedly directly beneath the disused spiral car parks between T1 and T2?

More than one tunnel under the airfield, Area 14 another example in T1 AFAIK.

Now the suitability for a Metro is questionable......

Una Due Tfc
31st Jan 2017, 23:05
More than one tunnel under the airfield, Area 14 another example in T1 AFAIK.

Now the suitability for a Metro is questionable......

Buddy tells me there's platforms and everything under T1 ready to go?

PPRuNeUser0176
31st Jan 2017, 23:11
Buddy tells me there's platforms and everything under T1 ready to go?

May well be, don't have much detail but it's unlikely to be used.

Jamie2k9
31st Jan 2017, 23:46
OSL will increase from x3 to x6 weekly from late March.

31st Jan 2017, 23:47
The story I've heard is that they were for an internal airport shuttle (like what links T5 in Heathrow to the remote piers). Needless to say this was never built.

PPRuNeUser0176
1st Feb 2017, 00:02
The story I've heard is that they were for an internal airport shuttle (like what links T5 in Heathrow to the remote piers). Needless to say this was never built.

Heard along those lines as well as as there are more than one it could be right.

AerRyan
1st Feb 2017, 18:51
http://www.dublinlive.ie/lifestyle/travel/ryanair-launches-2999-dublin-porto-12542541

Aer Lingus cancelling the planned Porto route and cutting frequencies on other routes

EI-A330-300
1st Feb 2017, 18:58
Not exactly cutting capacity that didn't operate last year, unable to get the right aircraft.

EI-A330-300
2nd Feb 2017, 09:27
Aer Lingus could be about to launch Las Vegas this winter. CEO has said the will likely take a "gamble" and possibly operate it as a winter only service.

benjyyy
2nd Feb 2017, 09:48
Aer Lingus could be about to launch Las Vegas this winter. CEO has said the will likely take a "gamble" and possibly operate it as a winter only service.

Doesn't make much sense to me. Vegas isn't the nicest climate in the winter.

CCR
2nd Feb 2017, 09:55
Would have thought that Dallas and Montreal would be a higher priority than Las Vegas.

EI-A330-300
2nd Feb 2017, 10:08
CCR

Vegas is best to make a return with spare winter capacity, YUL would be sunmer seasonal and DFW possibly as well.

benjyyy

Most don't go for the climate, could be year round as well.

2nd Feb 2017, 13:09
I can't imagine too many Business Class tickets to Las Vegas. Would it be a similar offering to Orlando? DFW would seem to have an advantage in this regard.

If they are going to start looking at long-haul leisure destinations, has anywhere in the Caribbean ever been considered?

Sober Lark
2nd Feb 2017, 13:56
EI will have to be more competitive on their fares. A recent flight from SFO / DUB only had about 60 PAX. Doesn't seem like a successful entry to a new market. There is a price tipping point for individuals / families that make going via FRA, LHR, AMS, CDG or with the likes of WOW more attractive Testing the market for DUB- LAS will indeed need some competitive pricing.

EI-A330-300
2nd Feb 2017, 14:38
EI will have to be more competitive on their fares. A recent flight from SFO / DUB only had about 60 PAX. Doesn't seem like a successful entry to a new market. There is a price tipping point for individuals / families that make going via FRA, LHR, AMS, CDG or with the likes of WOW more attractive Testing the market for DUB- LAS will indeed need some competitive pricing.

SFO is very successful, one flight is not a good judgment. It's operating over 90% over the summer, 80-85% outside this with prehaps Jan/Feb slightly but it's operating at a higher frequency Q1 than in 2016.

I can't imagine too many Business Class tickets to Las Vegas. Would it be a similar offering to Orlando? DFW would seem to have an advantage in this regard.

If they are going to start looking at long-haul leisure destinations, has anywhere in the Caribbean ever been considered?

Will be priced like MCO I suspect which does well and couldn't see freq been more than x3 weekly.

Shamrock350
2nd Feb 2017, 17:00
EI will have to be more competitive on their fares. A recent flight from SFO / DUB only had about 60 PAX. Doesn't seem like a successful entry to a new market.
You're judging a route on one flight? Interesting.

Also SFO has been operating for nearly three years, it was restarted in April 2014 so hardly an entry into a new market. All the evidence points to the route being very successful, daily within a year, increased frequencies in winter within two years and upgrading to A333 ops this year.

If the fares are too high for you, there's probably a reason for it.

Sober Lark
2nd Feb 2017, 17:27
Shamrock, I've no problem having a fully flat bed in economy but I guess that's not what EI had in mind.

AerRyan
2nd Feb 2017, 17:28
Well the passengers who have made SFO one of the most profitable routes out of Ireland seem to have no problem with the price.

Skipness One Echo
2nd Feb 2017, 17:32
"A recent flight" in Feb is post xmas Jan, the quietest time of the year. I was on a half empty VS 744 and a BA 772 where I had a whole row to stretch out. North Atlantic travel remains seasonal, though not as bad as the B747 SNN stopover days (!)
Aer Lingus, is I believe, one of the better performers in terms of long haul profitability in IAG.

owenc
2nd Feb 2017, 17:39
135,000 flew on DUB-SFO in 2015 (not sure about 2016). That is fairly successful in my opinion.

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/saveselections.asp

GrahamK
2nd Feb 2017, 18:29
Just got through security at DUB T1 in less than a mi ute. Other airports should take note

Una Due Tfc
2nd Feb 2017, 19:27
Just got through security at DUB T1 in less than a mi ute. Other airports should take note

That might be part of the problem re recent immigration issues...

AerRyan
2nd Feb 2017, 19:30
Definitely, especially considering passengers need to go through security to get into the country :confused::confused::confused:

LAX_LHR
2nd Feb 2017, 19:34
I'm assuming the under one minute didn't include hand luggage screening and was timed at being at the actual security equipment only, otherwise I don't see how it's physically possible to complete the whole process in under one minute?

j636
2nd Feb 2017, 20:15
I departed last Friday evening and security was quick, now I didn't time it but I wasn't standing in a line, there was 6-7 lanes open at around 20.00. If anything slightly to many for the time of day.

Immigration when I arrived last Thursday morning was busy but again lines kept moving, probally only around 5 minutes. It was also well staffed.

T1 in general has greatly improved, differently up to standard as T2, while lots of shops it's not the pain that LGW South Terminal and they have done a good job with the arrivals area.

Any idea when segregation of A gates will be complete and I assume BA are getting air bridge?, also A gates 221-224 are new (?) took a stroll down and BA, KLM and EI around each gate yet only KLM appear to be actively operating there.

racedo
2nd Feb 2017, 22:17
T1 in general has greatly improved, differently up to standard as T2, while lots of shops it's not the pain that LGW South Terminal and they have done a good job with the arrivals area.

South Terminal is easy to go through and has been for a while, immigration lots of gates using passport making it easy.

Una Due Tfc
2nd Feb 2017, 22:57
Anyway as regards EI A330s in winter, they have at least 2 idle every day and 3 on some, great for heavy maintenance in winter but there's still flexibility there. With no Novair contract anymore it's either use them or lose them within IAG. I half expected a winter southern hemisphere route but USA is their goldmine.

GrahamK
2nd Feb 2017, 23:01
Walked up, scanned boarding pass, hand luggage etc into the tray, walked through. Lots of lanes open, everyone passing through quickly (apart from those who set the alarm off obviously.

Hell of a walk from there to the boarding gates though (used 104 this evening).

FR cabin crew must love the thursday/friday evening DUB-NCL flight, full of stag parties...the drinks trolley must have been emptied before we got across the Irish sea!

racedo
3rd Feb 2017, 02:27
Walked up, scanned boarding pass, hand luggage etc into the tray, walked through. Lots of lanes open, everyone passing through quickly (apart from those who set the alarm off obviously.

Not at Dub nor will mention airport but was in UK.

Gone through security and just collecting my stuff when all the alarms go off as 2 guys come through the security gates all tooled up with guns but they cops (thank F***).

Just looked at them and grinned which one stopped and asked why................. I just said "it sounds scary going off, least the equipment works but what happens when you walk through and nothing goes off "

His response was reassuring.

3rd Feb 2017, 09:41
I half expected a winter southern hemisphere route but USA is their goldmine

I'm not sure anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere could work from Dublin.

Australia and New Zealand are too far. There are very few European carriers who go the whole way there now, even from much bigger markets.

I can't imagine any significant demand for South America and IAG would probably regard expansion at Madrid as the best way to serve it.

The only place that might work on paper is South Africa. However, there's a problem of which airport there. Fly to Johannesburg and you lose a lot of Cape Town (which is the largest source of demand) traffic, as it's as you may as well connect in Heathrow, Frankfurt or Schiphol and avoid the unpleasantness of OR Tambo altogether. Fly to Cape Town and there are very few connections possibilities, so you lose the large chunk of people who were looking to go elsewhere.

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd Feb 2017, 13:33
Did we have regular Cape Town service during early 2000's?

3rd Feb 2017, 14:08
I believe there was one Winter when LTU were operating a once a week direct charter for Slattery's.

Charters ran in other years as well, but IIRC, they was usually a stop in Manchester.

Noxegon
3rd Feb 2017, 19:06
Yes, there was a direct CPT service run on a charter basis.

brian_dromey
4th Feb 2017, 10:58
Winter use for the 330 fleet is going to be an issue as it expands. There may be limited use to LHR, or even MAD for IAG Cargo. I see them expanding use to the likes of FAO, AGP and maybe even down to the canaries.

South Africa would seem to be the most obvious long-haul service, traditional schedules to/from ZA are overnight both ways, which means a day 'wasted' in CPT or JNB. KLM do a daytime southbound flight to CPT, I don't know of any others. I imagine for utilisation purposes EI would operate daytime in one direction.

There are many connections over LHR to KUL and SIN, so those could also be options for direct service. SIN would connect to BA services to SYD. Realistically, these routes would need both the A350 and the new runway at DUB.

Jamie2k9
7th Feb 2017, 10:11
January traffic up 9% to almost 1.9 million.

UK - 741,000 +8%
Europe - 873,000 +7%
Transatlantic - 165,000 +28%
M.E/Africa - 72,000 +2%
Domestic - 6,000 +3%

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/passenger-numbers-up-9-in-january

positive
7th Feb 2017, 11:27
Quote Jamie2K9
January traffic up 9% to almost 1.9 million.

UK - 741,000 +8%
Europe - 873,000 +7%
Transatlantic - 165,000 +28%
M.E/Africa - 72,000 +2%
Domestic - 6,000 +3%

Good start to the year with a 9% increase for January

buzz_hornet
7th Feb 2017, 13:40
if im flying DUB-LHR-PHL can i still avail of pre clearance in dub?

CabinCrewe
7th Feb 2017, 13:44
Dont think so. Im sure entering another additional country enroute before arriving in US would invalidate that.

Una Due Tfc
7th Feb 2017, 14:56

No you can't.

ia350
7th Feb 2017, 16:48

Nope why not fly direct with AA , worth the 80 or so IMO.

Jamie2k9
9th Feb 2017, 18:59
United continue to add capacity, in addition to previously reported wide body changes on ORD/EWR.

ORD -commence 5 May (25 May S16) and operate until 26 October (6 Sep S16)
IAD - daily full summer 25 Mar-27 Oct, (April/September (mid) x6, Oct x5 S16)

owenc
9th Feb 2017, 19:21
So, all widebodies from United in the summer? Is it a 767 to IAD?

PPRuNeUser0176
9th Feb 2017, 19:44
No, daily 777 to EWR and peak 763 to ORD, rest 752

owenc
9th Feb 2017, 21:50
Ok? Isn't United to IAD already year round at this stage?

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Feb 2017, 14:04
Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) has secured planning permission for almost half a million sq ft of offices in a planned new 70-acre (28-hectare) business park at Dublin airport. Permission has also been granted for a new public space connected to Terminal 2.

DAA originally set a long time frame for the business park but after the earlier than expected success with the redevelopment of the old Aer Lingus headquarters and its letting to ESB International, the State body decided to proceed with the new build element of Dublin Airport Central.

An Bord Pleanála has granted permission for the construction of four individual Grade A, six- and seven-storey head office style buildings with an overall capacity of 41,700sq m (448,854sq ft). The blocks will range in size from 8,200 to 11,450sq m (88,263 to 123, 245sq ft) and will adjoin a high quality landscaped urban realm and city garden area. The first phase of the business park is expected to accommodate more than 4,000 employees.

Separately, DAA is seeking expressions of interest for the development and operation of a four-star, 402-bedroom hotel linked in to Terminal 2. The bidder will build the hotel and operate it for a specified period before transferring its ownership to the DAA.

DAA to go ahead with business park at Dublin Airport (http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/daa-to-go-ahead-with-business-park-at-dublin-airport-1.2973767)

ia350
19th Feb 2017, 12:54
Was at the airport this morning and I guy I was speaking to said the a380 will be in on the 24th of March , anyone else hear the same ?

AerRyan
19th Feb 2017, 12:55
I'd love to know where they will park it!

I've heard the same, and it seems for every 1 staff member that mentions it 20 say it won't happen!

Una Due Tfc
19th Feb 2017, 14:03
We've been over this before, DUB cannot handle A380 until new runway opends due wing tip clearance on the Bravos and E6/E7 RETS being too tight.

In essence the A380 could only arrive on 10 and only depart off 28.

PPRuNeUser0176
19th Feb 2017, 14:08
We've been over this before, DUB cannot handle A380 until new runway opends due wing tip clearance on the Bravos and E6/E7 RETS being too tight.

It can and if it happened (it's not-nothing filed yet) it would be allowed (even with minor issues). It's more likely than not that it will operate before the new runway opens.

Una Due Tfc
19th Feb 2017, 14:19
It can and if it happened (it's not-nothing filed yet) it would be allowed (even with minor issues). It's more likely than not that it will operate before the new runway opens.

EK tried to upgrade to A380 2 years ago, were told no due multiple reasons the airport cannot realistically take it. While it was taxying the airport would grind to a halt due wingtip clearance issues on many taxiways. None of the RETS are able to take it on 28, so it would have to land on 10, which when you consider 28 is in use about 65% of the time, would cause massive delays while other traffic holds to accommodate, assuming the winds even allow 10 to be used, which is far from guaranteed.

So it will fill up the holds if 28 is in use on arrival, and do the same on departure if 10 is in use.

An A380 coming into DUB would be bad news for everyone involved.

Skipness One Echo
19th Feb 2017, 17:49
A daily A380 yes, however a one off visit for PR is manageable surely'?

Una Due Tfc
19th Feb 2017, 18:18
A daily A380 yes, however a one off visit for PR is manageable surely'?

Only last minute, as the winds would need to cooperate. Can't use 16/34 at all, so you could only nail it down a few days in advance when you know what WX will be.

bannercounty
19th Feb 2017, 23:45
Just land it in Shannon where it has landed numerous times without issue and guests would reach their desired holiday accommodation faster ��

AerRyan
19th Feb 2017, 23:48
Shannon can't handle it either, and I doubt Emirates clients would enjoy a lovely long walk along the tarmac on a cold windy wet day :)

Una Due Tfc
19th Feb 2017, 23:49
Popcorn at the ready....

bannercounty
22nd Feb 2017, 02:42
Tis news to a fair few operators of the A380 that SNN can't handle it. €100k's have been spent by Airbus and the likes of BA to prove that it can. It's already facilitated many proven flights for Airbus, training and ground handling for BA not to mention the diversion a few years back where everyone disembarked and were accommodate on other flights.
It was one of something like 1% of the airports that the A380 would fly to or was to be used as a diversion where no mods to the infrastructure was required.

Googl it for the facts!!

AerRyan
22nd Feb 2017, 06:54
Jaysus I remember sure when they spent all that money on the stand for the A380.

Oh wait, they didn't.

There is a fine line between handling and landing. Why do you think every A380 that has landed has parked in a taxiway. Nothing to do with Dublin anyway, so I suggest you stop trolling.

PPRuNeUser0176
22nd Feb 2017, 12:45
Some not so new news as reported elsewhere recently:

* - BA launching weekly IBZ from 19 May.

* - Transavia plan to close MUC base so one assumes MUC will commence and end after a season. FR may look to take their slots.

* - Norwegian expect to confirm routes tomorrow, couldn't see T2 or USPC been used.

* - Qatar will operate from T1 when they start in June.

* - Capacity to Scotland continues to increase with INV increasing from 7 to 9 weekly (x2 Sat/Sun).

* - WOW going daily from 4 June to mid September (x5 last summer), planned from November when daily service resumes.

22nd Feb 2017, 13:28
With no pre-clearance, does anyone think Dublin-Stewart can work? Aside from very high season, it's usually possible to get some half-decent fare from Dublin to JFK or Newark and there is certainly plenty of capacity.

Fares will need to be seriously low to tempt people to a far-out airport with poor transport links when they can't even pre-clear in Dublin.

Charlie Roy
22nd Feb 2017, 13:54
With no pre-clearance, does anyone think Dublin-Stewart can work?

Why won't Norwegian use pre-clearance in Dublin? Sorry if I missed this explanation earlier :ouch:

PPRuNeUser0176
22nd Feb 2017, 13:55
The USPC comment is far from certain but I cannot see it, extra costs, reduced sales on board, schedule restrictions. Just doesn't fit with loco model.

As for fares existing carriers will put the pressure on them to keep then low but think they can work, interesting to see level of repeat business after the hastle getting to NYC...

EI-BUD
22nd Feb 2017, 20:35
Why won't Norwegian use pre-clearance in Dublin? Sorry if I missed this explanation earlier

To have operate from T2 to have pre clearance, unlikely given current demand that they will.

There is no doubt Norwegian will stimulate demand with low fares, but there are literally 100's of points in the US, and a significant portion of passengers who fly Dublin US are not originating their journey in Dublin or ending it in their first US port of entry, e.g. passengers coming from BHX to DUB and are onwards to EWR, equally pax starting in Denver going to MAN via JFK, so without this connectivity they will need to be consistently very keen on price to develop these new points, it will take some time and resource to get it right.

They are starting flights from Ireland to USA, and the incumbent carrier is probably one of the most experienced airlines on the North Atlantic, who is also ahead of its peers in terms of operating costs. They will get a run for their money, the US carriers in particular will retaliate and are nimble in that regard.

Finally, with them only having 3 aircraft (738's) certified to fly transatlantic, is it likely they will serve all of ORK, SNN, DUB and BFS. My guess would be that DUB will come last. ORK was the headline airport, then they talked about SNN and in the interim the BFS opportunity came along. So hard to see how they will do satisfy all of that with 3 units. They could sweat that asset and increase frequency and fly more than 14/15 hours per day... though unlikely...

Sober Lark
22nd Feb 2017, 20:36
How is LH983 at 05:30 tomorrow looking at this stage? Many thanks.

ayroplain
22nd Feb 2017, 20:43
With no pre-clearance, does anyone think Dublin-Stewart can work?
I'd be inclined to the view that non pre-clearance won't be an issue if you're going into Stewart. Exiting there will probably be quicker than pre-clearance at DUB.

AerRyan
22nd Feb 2017, 20:48
It depends though, If Norwegian suddenly channels 4 flights into Stewart all arriving at the same time and the US officials are simply not there to process them efficiently, there could be some eye watering delays getting into the US.

AerRyan
22nd Feb 2017, 21:10
Sober Lark, I don't follow?

In regards to wind, you'll be fine.

Sober Lark
22nd Feb 2017, 21:28
Thanks for answering my question. Much appreciated and apologies for interrupting. SL

Dontgothere
23rd Feb 2017, 10:01
Hi all, well in anticipation of today's route announcement, I decided to try and book a DUB-NYC flight with DY, only to find that I would be routed through Stockholm. There's not been any route announcement, so I may have stumbled upon another route to be announced from DUB in the near future.

In any case, the proposed schedule is as follows.

4 Sep: DY4468: the 10:20 DUB to ARN
4 Sep: DY7005: the 17:45 ARN to JFK

Jamie2k9
23rd Feb 2017, 11:05
Stewart - daily from 1 July
DUB-SWF 16.00-19.00
SWF-DUB 19.55-07.55

Providence - 5 weekly from 1 July
DUB-PVD 15.45-19.35
PVD-DUB 20.00-07.55

Stockholm - 2 weekly from 9 June
DUB-ARN 10.20-14.00
ARN-DUB 07.55-09.35

US Immigration wouldn't be a problem with these schedules if they wanted it provided staffing is available.

23rd Feb 2017, 12:52
What time does the US pre-clearance facility close?

PPRuNeUser0176
23rd Feb 2017, 13:09
16.20 is last scheduled departure so they tend to hold until 17.00 if required.

Dontgothere
23rd Feb 2017, 13:15
I'm not convinced that DY will avail of CBP in DUB or SNN, if you consider that SWF/PVD and so forth have to handle arrivals from BFS, ORK and EDI as well, then it makes precious little sense to have four or five facilities paid for (I believe the airlines must foot some of the bill) when it can all be centralised in the three U.S. airports.

AerRyan
23rd Feb 2017, 13:21
Shannon Pre Clearance will be well closed by the time the Norwegian flights are scheduled to takeoff.

bnt
23rd Feb 2017, 15:19
Flights from Dublin are already on sale, and Summer fares have already shot up. For the route I would want to take (to Houston), I wouldn't save much at all in summer, and definitely not enough to justify the inconvenience of making the road connection from (say Providence to Boston) at my own time and expense. Looking ahead to Christmas 2017, on the other hand, the quoted fares are looking really good. It's too soon for me to confirm I'll be visiting the USA, though.

EI-A330-300
23rd Feb 2017, 20:47
Well the cheap fares were snapped up, over 5,000 tickets sold earlier between (DUB/ORK/SNN) in 6 hours.

AerRyan
24th Feb 2017, 01:08
Norwegian services will be operating from Terminal 1, no USPC to be availed of at either DUB or SNN.

Services on SWF and PVD drop to 3x weekly each for the winter from 7x weekly and 5x weekly respectively, which means that capacity is cut in half for the winter season.

PPRuNeUser0176
26th Feb 2017, 00:20
Emirates Irish manager has indicated A380 will visit on 26 March.

mik3bravo
26th Feb 2017, 22:39
Flights from Dublin are already on sale, and Summer fares have already shot up. For the route I would want to take (to Houston), I wouldn't save much at all in summer, and definitely not enough to justify the inconvenience of making the road connection from (say Providence to Boston) at my own time and expense. Looking ahead to Christmas 2017, on the other hand, the quoted fares are looking really good. It's too soon for me to confirm I'll be visiting the USA, though.

Regarding your Xmas '17 planning - if you don't mind switching flights, you'd probably save a few bob jumping on a low fare to Gatwick then Westjet to Montreal or Toronto then Jet Blue down to Houston. Know it's a bit of switching but if slots aligned you could save a tidy sum over the Shamrock usual gorgement.

Una Due Tfc
26th Feb 2017, 23:05
Have you seen Westjet's dispatch reliability on the 767? Very risky on a separate booking

mik3bravo
26th Feb 2017, 23:22
Fair comment regarding Westjet. Could take Icelandair into Canada then switch to Jet Blue

Una Due Tfc
26th Feb 2017, 23:46
Depending on price I'd look at FR/EI to MAN then the direct SIA flight to IAH.

It's on the A359 too if you're interested in trying a new type....

Just a spotter
27th Feb 2017, 09:17
The IAA have completed trials of remote tower technology and they seem happy with the results.

https://flyinginireland.com/2017/02/iaa-confirms-remote-towers-trial-a-success/

Given that one of the requirements for the operation of the imminent northern runway at DUB is a new, higher tower, subject to regulatory approval/change, might this prove to be an alternative to a new tower, with instead a sensor suite installed above or alongside the existing tower building? It would allow staff to remain in the current facility at the airport, all be it upgraded to use the systems, with the technology being used to extend the view to the currently obscured parts of the field.

Just a thought.

JAS

EI-A330-300
27th Feb 2017, 10:01
New tower is happening, remote is just for ORK/SNN.

Cyrano
27th Feb 2017, 11:23
The IAA have completed trials of remote tower technology and they seem happy with the results.

https://flyinginireland.com/2017/02/iaa-confirms-remote-towers-trial-a-success/

Given that one of the requirements for the operation of the imminent northern runway at DUB is a new, higher tower, subject to regulatory approval/change, might this prove to be an alternative to a new tower, with instead a sensor suite installed above or alongside the existing tower building? It would allow staff to remain in the current facility at the airport, all be it upgraded to use the systems, with the technology being used to extend the view to the currently obscured parts of the field.

Just a thought.

JAS
Remote tower technology for the third runway at Dublin is unfortunately far too sensible and cost-effective a suggestion to actually happen.

Una Due Tfc
27th Feb 2017, 12:49
Remote tower technology for the third runway at Dublin is unfortunately far too sensible and cost-effective a suggestion to actually happen.

It's only feasible for quiet aerodromes during quiet periods. Dublin is far too busy and complex.

PPRuNeUser0176
27th Feb 2017, 13:09

Is that you Michael :)
_______

The Emirates A380 scheduled to arrive at 14.10 on 26 March on delivery from Toulouse Wonder if there will be an announcement of some sort. If the route does go A380 it will be 22.25 departure not the 13.50 one.

Una Due Tfc
27th Feb 2017, 13:30
Is that you Michael :)
_______

The Emirates A380 scheduled to arrive at 14.10 on 26 March on delivery from Toulouse Wonder if there will be an announcement of some sort. If the route does go A380 it will be 22.25 departure not the 13.50 one.

I'm assuming that would be due there being no other widebodies at T2 during that time? Would it block 2 gates with wingspan?

PPRuNeUser0176
27th Feb 2017, 13:40
I'm assuming that would be due there being no other widebodies at T2 during that time? Would it block 2 gates with wingspan?

EK scheduled due out at 13.50, there would be two EI A330s and another due at to arrive at 14.00 and 14.20 but guess they could go to B if needed. If it does go to stand then it will be Gates 424/426 area as those were the ones with air bridge plans.

I'm sure only a select few pilots will be allowed fly it to DUB like I believe RY 16 ops require.

Una Due Tfc
27th Feb 2017, 13:57
EK scheduled due out at 13.50, there would be two EI A330s and another due at to arrive at 14.00 and 14.20 but guess they could go to B if needed. If it does go to stand then it will be Gates 424/426 area as those were the ones with air bridge plans.

I'm sure only a select few pilots will be allowed fly it to DUB like I believe RY 16 ops require.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear! What I meant was if they did put it on one of the flights it would have to be the late one due reasons above.

PPRuNeUser0176
27th Feb 2017, 14:10
Sorry, I wasn't very clear! What I meant was if they did put it on one of the flights it would have to be the late one due reasons above.

Yeah sorry, in summer there is only two departures after 19.30 to LHR at 20.10 and 21.10 while probably only only a handful of short haul A320's arriving back between 21.15 and 22.30, the rest are largely 23.30-01.30. More less empty during winter at EK times as well.

Believe evening service is best service for people transiting beyond DXB so would be most logical.

PPRuNeUser0176
1st Mar 2017, 16:39
Emirates have officially confirmed the visit now stating it's to celebrate 5 years which passed back in January.

EK 7380 XFW-DUB-DXB A6-EUQ expected on 26 March but date may change.

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd Mar 2017, 11:07
Reported QR have scheduled A350 in place of B788 for 12 June flight.

Jamie2k9
8th Mar 2017, 10:35
Almost 1.8 million up 4%.

Europe - 852,000 +4%
UK - 750,000 flat
Transatlantic - 126,000 +28%
ME/Africa - 55,000 +10%
Domestic - 7,000 +9%

YTD over 3.6 million up 6%

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/1.8-million-passengers-in-february-at-dublin-airport

Jamie2k9
14th Mar 2017, 11:35
Wow added further capacity from June, KEF increased to x9 weekly.

DUB-KEF
11.40-13.40 - daily
22.35-00.25 - x37

KEF-DUB
06.15-10.05 - daily
17.55-21.35 - x37

Up from 5 weekly last summer.

PPRuNeUser0176
19th Mar 2017, 16:20
Noticed a couple of fire engines aroind 5G when flying, anyone know what happened.

AerRyan
19th Mar 2017, 16:44
Ryanair struck a light post.

EI-BUD
20th Mar 2017, 05:45
C series of Swiss will appear on DUB GVA starting April 12th. By peak summer the aircraft will operate the whole schedule for LX.

PPRuNeUser0176
21st Mar 2017, 00:51
A380 visit has been delayed as delivey has been pushed back. Still expected to happen withn 3-6 weeks however subject to change.

mwm991
23rd Mar 2017, 13:34
Hi guys, anyone have a rough idea of the cost of the bus from the Airport all the way down to Waterford? Google is pretty useless. Cheers.

PPRuNeUser0176
23rd Mar 2017, 13:44
JJ Kavanagh is around 15 single, return is around 20.
Bus Éireann is around the same but they are more less about to go on immediate strike and it could go on for some time (public service unions and a company almost insolvent)

Jamie2k9
25th Mar 2017, 22:36
PHL now displaying as daily A332 over winter (B752), usual seasonal freq cuts over winter also removed but suspect they will return again.

PPRuNeUser0176
26th Mar 2017, 23:06
Hainan have a slot for MAN-DUB-MAN tomorrow at 07.30-08.35-10.05-11.05 (HU7903/7904).

Will it be the announcement.....

VanBosh
27th Mar 2017, 07:46
Hainan have a slot for MAN-DUB-MAN tomorrow at 07.30-08.35-10.05-11.05 (HU7903/7904).

Will it be the announcement.....

More likely the expected service was never removed from DAA systems

EI-A330-300
27th Mar 2017, 16:09
Dublin Airport is one of the best 10 airports in the world, according to a new international survey based on passenger ratings.

Dublin was the tenth best airport in the world last year, according to users of the travel website eDreams. Helsinki-Vantaa was named the world’s best airport, while Berlin Schönefeld was found to be the worst airport in 2016.

The ranking is based on more than 65,000 passenger reviews, and covers overall airport quality, waiting areas, shopping, and restaurants.

The Best Airports in The World

1-Helsinki-Vantaa
2-Glasgow
3-Zurich
4-Munich
5-Frankfurt
6-Geneva
7-Bangkok International
8-Tel Aviv Ben Gurion
9-Oslo Gardermoen
10-Dublin

Only surprise is GLA

The Worst Airports in The World

1-Berlin Schönefeld
2-London Luton
3-New York La Guardia
4-New York JFK
5-Brussels South Charleroi
6-Lima Chavez International
7-Rome Ciampino
8-Berlin Tegel
9-Paris CDG
10-Paris Orly

Fairly accurate list..

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/dublin-airport-named-one-of-world-s-best-airports

Noxegon
27th Mar 2017, 17:27
I find it difficult to trust a list that doesn't put Singapore Changi in the top ten.

Wycombe
27th Mar 2017, 18:01
A few more in the US should be in the bottom 10 aswell!

EI-A330-300
27th Mar 2017, 18:07
Guess the results are reflected in where those 65,000 users are based, one might assume it's largely European

Una Due Tfc
27th Mar 2017, 18:43
Much of these surveys are down to luck too. A passenger going through T2 on a winter evening will have a far better experience than one going through T1 at 6am on a summers morning. Also if there's an ATC strike or freak snowstorm the ratings will be atrocious. People are far more likely to write a review on these websites after a negative experience than a positive one.

Cyrano
27th Mar 2017, 22:29
Ridiculous subjective list. Much as I detest Schönefeld I could not objectively rate it as worse than Lagos, for example. But if you're booking on eDreams, you are (as EI-A330-300 suggests) likely to be European-based, and I'd add you are probably travelling for leisure, and you are potentially not the most savvy traveller (I certainly don't think of eDreams as the best or most effective OTA...)

LAX_LHR
5th Apr 2017, 19:47
Air Arabia Maroc to start 2 weekly Agadir service from 4th Oct, flights on Wed/Sat confirmed on their website.

PPRuNeUser0176
6th Apr 2017, 22:38
DY US routes are showing from T1 but they have moved the flight times to NY from 16.00 to 14.30 and BOS from 15.45 to 15.00. They just happen to be the times where USPC staff could process them without to much trouble.

owenc
11th Apr 2017, 00:21
No, daily 777 to EWR and peak 763 to ORD, rest 752

Don't see this 767 on the schedule.

Jamie2k9
11th Apr 2017, 10:51
Don't see this 767 on the schedule.

Correct, not showing now.....why not just post it instead of playing stupid.
_____
AA have also pushed back B788 schedule by a month (probally won't happen at all) which might be a good thing.

Jamie2k9
11th Apr 2017, 13:03
Almost 2.2 million +2% (note lot of Easter traffic in 2016)

Europe 1.1 million +2%
UK 854,000 --
Transatlantic 207,000 +14%
ME/Africa 60,000 -7%
Domestic 7,000 -11%

Year to Date over 5.8 million +5% (260,000).

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/record-2.2-million-passengers-in-march

owenc
11th Apr 2017, 13:51
Correct, not showing now.....why not just post it instead of playing stupid.
_____
AA have also pushed back B788 schedule by a month (probally won't happen at all) which might be a good thing.
Playing stupid? What?

I'm just wondering why it isn't showing up in the schedules.

Jamie2k9
25th Apr 2017, 07:49
DY now due to use US pre clearance on both US routes.

racedo
25th Apr 2017, 20:51
DY now due to use US pre clearance on both US routes.

If laptop use banned on flights from Europe how does this impact on pre clearance in Ireland ?

EI-A330-300
25th Apr 2017, 22:26
If laptop use banned on flights from Europe how does this impact on pre clearance in Ireland ?

You will be refused travel, just like anything if you fail to comply with any regulations.

Una Due Tfc
25th Apr 2017, 23:51
You will be refused travel, just like anything if you fail to comply with any regulations.

Surely DUB will only be affected if Laptops etc are banned domestically in the States?

j636
26th Apr 2017, 00:10
Surely DUB will only be affected if Laptops etc are banned domestically in the States?

EY pre cleared flights are included in the ban, therefore the US have authority to apply international/domestic rules at pre cleared airports as they see fit. If the ban comes to the UK it will be a matter of when not if all European countries are subject to it.

In the past international restrictions have generally applied to pre cleared airports outside the US.

EI-A330-300
28th Apr 2017, 22:56
Noticed the concrete for T2 remote pier (temp) has gone down recently. Not sure when it will open but suspect it will be summer 2018 before it gets maxinmun usage.

daa also announced as part of a 13m baggage system upgrade (new security regulations) they would also examine connecting both terminal baggage systems given the significant changes and practical problems installing the new systems. Good to see they are looking at the bigger picture. Work starts in 2018 with T2 completed by 2020 and T1 by 2023.

racedo
29th Apr 2017, 10:30
EY pre cleared flights are included in the ban, therefore the US have authority to apply international/domestic rules at pre cleared airports as they see fit. If the ban comes to the UK it will be a matter of when not if all European countries are subject to it.

In the past international restrictions have generally applied to pre cleared airports outside the US.

But the targeting of Emirates, Ethihad and Qatar plus others was to benefit US Airlines, this starts to become a little bit different, can see EU taking a stand on it.

j636
29th Apr 2017, 14:50
So are you suggesting the ban is only for competition??

Now it looks like UK carriers are next on the target list!

Given Trump is pro DY I don't see ME been any different.

What exact legal channel would be open to the EU, no action was taken when passengers were refused travel at DUB when the short lived travel ban was in place.

racedo
29th Apr 2017, 16:46
So are you suggesting the ban is only for competition??

Now it looks like UK carriers are next on the target list!

Given Trump is pro DY I don't see ME been any different.

What exact legal channel would be open to the EU, no action was taken when passengers were refused travel at DUB when the short lived travel ban was in place.

Imposing same ban on US Carriers, making EU261 applicable to them would be a start.

j636
29th Apr 2017, 23:43
Imposing same ban on US Carriers, making EU261 applicable to them would be a start.

They would need routes to the affected countries for a ban to happen....

EU261 should be scrapped, biggest con going.

PPRuNeUser0176
30th Apr 2017, 18:09
EI330

Should be built and operational before end of summer. Would be surprised if regional ops don't move there for most of the day and of course morning/late evening ops.

Chances are most short haul at 300 gates for EI will end as they will handle some wide body arrivals before first departures start. The shuttle bus will not be flight specific and just operate in a loop while flights are scheduled from there.

An enhanced T2 transit facility will also be built and it will remove the Dublin Airport security screening for transit passengers if your departure airport is a US/EU one that have same standards as DUB.

The set up will be like AMS and cut transit times even more.

Una Due Tfc
5th May 2017, 12:41
I see UA had the B764 on IAD today, unusual.

Is the A359 only doing the launch flight to DOH or will they keep it for the summer before reverting to B788?

sinbad73
5th May 2017, 13:08
QR A359 for launch flight only according to blurb I read from QR yesterday.

PPRuNeUser0176
7th May 2017, 19:07
Aegean have announced the extension of ATH flights by 6 weeks in Sep/Oct.

Good to see them doing well after just starting last year they have increased frequency and now expanded the season.

PPRuNeUser0176
10th May 2017, 15:35
2.5 million in April up 12%

Continental Europe 1.3 million up 13%
UK 851,000 up 5%
Transatlantic 234,000 up 34%
ME/Africa 69,000 up 20%
Domestic 8,700 up 16%

Over 5.8 million year to date up 7% or almost 530,000 extra passengers.
https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/record-2.5-million-passengers-in-april-at-dublin-airport
_____
EI will also increase SFO from 5 to 6 weekly in Nov/Dec/Jan and 4 to 5 weekly in Jan/Feb. YYZ also gets extra weekly freq plus A330 stays and IAD an extra freq.

ia350
10th May 2017, 18:27
Amazing results really , used T1 in April for the first time in a long time and it's a huge improvement from when I seen it before , both Ryanair flights to bratislava were full which just shows how well the airport is doing .

racedo
10th May 2017, 20:32
Amazing results really , used T1 in April for the first time in a long time and it's a huge improvement from when I seen it before , both Ryanair flights to bratislava were full which just shows how well the airport is doing .

FR load factors are high.................... and this is across their route network.

ia350
10th May 2017, 21:35
FR load factors are high.................... and this is across their route network.

Yes I know this but considering bratislava wouldn't be a main airport for them shows how well the airport is doing.

Jamie2k9
11th May 2017, 21:31
KLM to add a fifth daily flight from the 10 July on Mon, Wed, Fri before it becomes a daily addition on 1 September. Operated by RJ-85 (WX).

ia350
11th May 2017, 22:23
KLM to add a fifth daily flight from the 10 July on Mon, Wed, Fri before it becomes a daily addition on 1 September. Operated by RJ-85 (WX).

Thanks Jamie but were do you find this kind of info ?

Jamie2k9
11th May 2017, 22:34
Dublin Airport welcomes today’s announcement by KLM that it is to increase frequency on its Dublin to Amsterdam route.

This additional frequency means that KLM will fly five times daily between the two cities on Monday, Wednesday and Friday initially between July 10 to September 1, and five times daily thereafter until October 28.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/klm-increase-frequency-on-dublin-amsterdam-route

AerRyan
11th May 2017, 22:42
Amazing increases, especially given the current capacity on the AMS route.

Aer Lingus must be feeling it.

EI-A330-300
12th May 2017, 10:47
All 3 are more less doing well, it went from 8th to 4th bussiest route last year and chances are it may even move to 3rd (MAN currently) this year. EI still have some big ticket passengers on the route + T/A + other carriers using them.

Believe KLM are averaging 85-90% with a lot of short haul connections.

Not sure AF own equip will be operating CDG from October either as scheduled.

Noxegon
12th May 2017, 11:41
EI has been milking passengers on that route for years. A few years ago I had to travel to AMS at about a weeks notice – and ended up paying more for an AMS round trip then a JFK round trip a few weeks later.

PPRuNeUser0176
20th May 2017, 13:59
T2 South Apron Boarding Zone impression:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgF4q8_05Uk&feature=youtu.be

Dons't look that bad.

EI-A330-300
21st May 2017, 09:19
Two Chicago arrivals today, scheduled?

AerRyan
21st May 2017, 09:22

You mean 2 EI Chicago arrivals?

Also, I don't see two.

PPRuNeUser0176
21st May 2017, 10:36

Referring to AA?

Fridays evenings 18.30 departure ex ORD was delayed 22 hours until 16.30 yesterday and yesterdays regular 18.30 ran as scheduled hence two arrivals.

They cancelled yesterdays 09.55 ex DUB which will take any passengers who have not transferred to other flights back tomorrow at 10.00. One assumes the 28 hour layover is for the same crew to bring the aircraft back.

Surprised they didn't cancel it, they have transformed themselves in 3 years.
______

Reported in the papers senior management from Hainan are due back in DUB next month.

EI-A330-300
21st May 2017, 15:41
Yeah it was AA, just didn't see it listed so wondered if it was a charter.

21st May 2017, 16:05
EI has been milking passengers on that route for years. A few years ago I had to travel to AMS at about a weeks notice – and ended up paying more for an AMS round trip then a JFK round trip a few weeks later.

At short notice they all screw the customer. AL, KLM, RYR............

Noxegon
21st May 2017, 16:20
At short notice they all screw the customer. AL, KLM, RYR............

So just for the heck of it, I priced a round trip into AMS in three days time – Wed 24 May outbound, Wed 31 May return, using the cheapest flight from each airline.

Aer Lingus: €199.98
Ryanair: €54.98
KLM: €246.72

The flight I referred to was booked at about a week's notice, not three days, and cost €770 round trip. The entry of Ryanair into the market is thus extremely welcome.

PPRuNeUser0176
21st May 2017, 18:00
Noxegon

FR are load factor driven and have lots of seats to fill on those dates, they are not charging low fares for no reason.

Enjoy FR on AMS while it lasts ;)

AerRyan
21st May 2017, 18:27
Are you saying FR will be leaving the route? Not what I've been hearing, infact I've been hearing of an imminent increase.

Una Due Tfc
21st May 2017, 18:31
Always delete your cookies before checking prices on an airline website too. They do keep tabs on you.

Example: Buddy of mine working in Toronto, on Rte, Independent etc websites everyday, quoted over a grand return on all 4 airlines serving YYZ on dates he looked at (about a weeks notice). Deleted his cookies, quoted €510 by EI and ROU, slightly higher for the other 2 on the same dates. Dirty barstewards.

PPRuNeUser0176
21st May 2017, 22:28
Are you saying FR will be leaving the route? Not what I've been hearing, infact I've been hearing of an imminent increase.

Not for now, but it's future has a question over it. Only time will tell.

Jamie2k9
30th May 2017, 13:04
Air Canada will resume YYZ from 30 October using a 292 seat A330-300 (3 class) replacing Rouge. They are saying it's to cater for business travel growth on the route.

Una Due Tfc
30th May 2017, 13:28
The stellar growth on YYZ continues, do EI revert to B752 in the winter or will the 330 be sticking year round?

Jamie2k9
30th May 2017, 13:31
The stellar growth on YYZ continues, do EI revert to B752 in the winter or will the 330 be sticking year round?

Keep the A330 and add extra weekly.

ia350
30th May 2017, 16:37
American are upgrading the ORD route to a 787 also from July 5th to October 4th .

owenc
30th May 2017, 22:57
I can't find this on the American airlines website at all. Please provide evidence.

PPRuNeUser0176
31st May 2017, 01:38
The AA 788 has been deferred to August as posted before.

AC change is a surprise.

Seljuk22
31st May 2017, 17:10
Norwegian will fly 6 times a week to Stewart (SWF) next winter

Jamie2k9
3rd Jun 2017, 01:18
LH will continue the increased MUC schedule into winter (7 to 13 weekly)
__
Aer Lingus to operate new services to Bordeaux (x4) and Bilbao (x3) over full/part winter and also increase Hamburg to x10 (5), Zurich x10 (7) with extra frequency to Venice, Lyon, Rome and Canary Islands.

EI-A330-300
4th Jun 2017, 17:00
_____
EI will also increase SFO from 5 to 6 weekly in Nov/Dec/Jan and 4 to 5 weekly in Jan/Feb. YYZ also gets extra weekly freq plus A330 stays and IAD an extra freq.

SFO will now operate daily between 1 March and 31 December and 5 weekly between 1 January and 28 February.

IAD will now operate daily in Nov/Dec and MCO goes 4 weekly over the same period.

EI321
6th Jun 2017, 09:30
What happened to the supposed EI Las Vegas route that was planned for the winter?

bnt
6th Jun 2017, 10:18
There are reports of a fire (http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-airport-evacuated-after-fire-13143622) in an office in Terminal One this morning. It doesn't sound too serious, but the terminal was evacuated.

Jamie2k9
7th Jun 2017, 17:32
2.6 million in May up 5%

Europe 1.4 million +4%
UK 843,000 +1%
Transatlantic 321,000 +18%
Other Int 56,000 +3%
Domestic 9,000 -9%

Year to date 10.9 million +6% (640,000)

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/record-may-at-dublin-airport

owenc
7th Jun 2017, 17:45
Great Report!

Anyone know if Aer Lingus' direct San Francisco flight is always €2,500 return Business Class.

Trying to see about heading to California next year and prices on Aer Lingus are inflated massively compared to American Airlines via ORD.

What's the cheapest I can get this route?

EI-A330-300
7th Jun 2017, 19:25
2,500 is good value direct cannot see it dropping lower.

AA prices reflect their product.

alserire
7th Jun 2017, 21:59

At Christmas I booked out to LAX and back from SFO in July for less than €1,900. You need to be flexible, play around with dates and get in six months early but sometimes there are deals to be had.

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Jun 2017, 22:03
Read today that between 05.00 and 00.00 runway capacity is at 87%, if you took away the free slots between 05.00 and 06.00 which will never really appeal widely to carriers (currently unused) then it will likely take it to over 90% during the summer months.

Jamie2k9
7th Jun 2017, 22:29
In addition to extra daily MUC in winter, FRA will also increase from 3 to 4 daily with new 08.55 ex DUB and 07.10 ex FRA starting on 29 October.

owenc
7th Jun 2017, 22:44

I got quoted £1200 return for Boeing 787. That is a better product

Una Due Tfc
7th Jun 2017, 23:03
I got quoted £1200 return for Boeing 787. That is a better product

If their OTP on MAN was anything to go by last year, that's pretty risky. Also most of the US major's business product ain't great domestically, JetBlue aside.

If you're happy with the product and it makes the best financial sense for you, fire away.

If you can get EI for under 2k though by being flexible with dates, I'd bite.

owenc
7th Jun 2017, 23:14
I've taken Aer Lingus Business Class and it wasn't much different, just a standard flatbed. Infact it was poorer due to the Flight Attendants disappearing for hours mid flight.

Paul_from_Dublin
8th Jun 2017, 06:51
I would choose EI before BA, AF and LH based on experience of all three on 10 hour plus flights, however it sounds like the American product might best match your overall requirements.

BFS watcher
8th Jun 2017, 09:38
Bit of whinging from the Dubs oh dear what a shame!

UK tourism to Ireland in 'freefall' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40187522)

j636
8th Jun 2017, 09:55
BFS Watcher, you do realise BFS faces the exact same problems......

Martin_123
8th Jun 2017, 10:37

UK tourism to Ireland in 'freefall' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40187522)

If I was you I would worry less about what the Dubs are whinging about and worry more about your own ability to travel and pay for stuff in next coming years

Paul_from_Dublin
8th Jun 2017, 11:52
BFS Watcher has a point, passenger numbers at DUB are only a miserable 6% higher than 2016.
I wonder if they will still need the emergency temporary boarding area under construction beside terminal 2.

PPRuNeUser0176
8th Jun 2017, 11:59
BFS Watcher has a point, passenger numbers at DUB are only a miserable 6% higher than 2016.
I wonder if they will still need the emergency temporary boarding area under construction beside terminal 2.

It's called sustainable growth, it's a more realistic reflection. No airport can deliver double digit growth long term.

If you look back at passenger stats over the last 20 years just 3 years had double digit year on year growth most recently 2015/2016 the rest was between 5-8%.

Paul_from_Dublin
8th Jun 2017, 12:17
Was trying to make the point to BFS Watcher that 6% growth is a clear sign of success, no matter how you look at it.

6% growth heaped on top of 10% (?) growth in 2016 is hardly grounds for shadenfreude from Aldergrove.

owenc
8th Jun 2017, 14:19
BFS Watcher, you do realise BFS faces the exact same problems......
What? With 900,000 now travelling on BFS-LGW. Eh, no we are a constituent part of the United Kingdom, we use GBP.

AerRyan
8th Jun 2017, 14:27
Much deeper problems than currency you know.

8th Jun 2017, 14:40
Double-digit growth and growth that massively fluctuates are generally signs of a small airport. At Dublin's current scale, neither is hugely likely.

If Aer Lingus/Ryanair were to add and A320/B737 at Cork or Shannon, they are likely to get double-digit growth (and more than likely no growth the following year as another airframe is very unlikely). If the same happens in Dublin it may add 1% to the figures.

owenc
8th Jun 2017, 14:45
Ni is a price sensitive market so we are seeing growth because we are introducing carriers who produce lower costs and more affordable flights. I don't see why the growth couldn't stay if we had more of this.

I think Norweigan is what we need for TATL, for example, rather than United.

mart901
8th Jun 2017, 14:53
Ni is a price sensitive market so we are seeing growth because we are introducing carriers who produce lower costs and more affordable flights. I don't see why the growth couldn't stay if we had more of this.

I think Norweigan is what we need for TATL, for example, rather than United.
I agree, it's very leisure oriented, cost sensitive and seasonal. VS expanding is great for NI also.

Angry Rebel
9th Jun 2017, 08:37

You're missing a basic maths issue here. 6% of 27.9m passengers is 1.7m! This is almost one third of total BFS numbers! Doing big % increases on a large number is not sustainable but high single digit on a large number is far from failure!

airbourne
10th Jun 2017, 21:25
I've taken Aer Lingus Business Class and it wasn't much different, just a standard flatbed. Infact it was poorer due to the Flight Attendants disappearing for hours mid flight.

What are you expecting from the cabin crew?

Maybe you could give a detailed explanation of your flight and then we could judge.

Cyrano
11th Jun 2017, 14:47
What are you expecting from the cabin crew?

Maybe you could give a detailed explanation of your flight and then we could judge.

...but (gentle hint) maybe in a forum other than this one which is about Dublin routes, airport developments etc? Perhaps "Passengers and SLF" where a discussion of individual Aer Lingus passenger experience would be more relevant? :ok:

owenc
11th Jun 2017, 15:00
Sorry, i'll not ruin your life with my presence.

Cyrano
11th Jun 2017, 20:27
Sorry, i'll not ruin your life with my presence.
Having a bad day, are we? This forum is about Dublin airport, and information about new schedules/aircraft/developments etc at Dublin airport (see above: "topics about airports, routes and airline business"). The passengers and SLF forum is about discussing the passenger experience, and I'm just suggesting it might be more relevant for a (non-airport-specific) discussion about one airline's business class versus another. That's all.

EI321
12th Jun 2017, 19:31
Unfortunate timing for the new QR route with the political situation there, hope the daily frequency can be sustained initially.

Any news on the rumored Hainan China route?

racedo
13th Jun 2017, 18:17

Belfast Airport aims ?Bexit? campaign at travellers from Republic (http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/belfast-airport-aims-bexit-campaign-at-travellers-from-republic-1.3116613)

Er you do realise that BFS is advertising for passengers from Irish Republic.........

As for tourism numbers being down, car hire agency used in BFS said that 50% of the cars they are hiring out for longer than 2 days are being used by people who will cross the border.
Site manager's assessment was that reduction of visitors from UK will have a 3 month lag from Dublin to Belfast but it will follow on from it and numbers will be down.

Parting shot was maybe there will be an uplift from Tory politicians crawling to the DUP.

I am presuming the grass being tunred and uplifted at the airport yesterday was being turned into sileage.

Una Due Tfc
13th Jun 2017, 19:08
Belfast Airport aims ?Bexit? campaign at travellers from Republic (http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/belfast-airport-aims-bexit-campaign-at-travellers-from-republic-1.3116613)

Er you do realise that BFS is advertising for passengers from Irish Republic.........

As for tourism numbers being down, car hire agency used in BFS said that 50% of the cars they are hiring out for longer than 2 days are being used by people who will cross the border.
Site manager's assessment was that reduction of visitors from UK will have a 3 month lag from Dublin to Belfast but it will follow on from it and numbers will be down.

Parting shot was maybe there will be an uplift from Tory politicians crawling to the DUP.

I am presuming the grass being tunred and uplifted at the airport yesterday was being turned into sileage.

The simple fact is, we don't ultimately know what will happen with Brexit. Soft,...little change....hard...losses in some sectors but potential to chase business from multinational UK based airlines requiring an EU AOC.

Then there's the potential terrorist issues affecting US Transfer visitors' perception of UK, France, Europe as a whole.

Then there's the UK economy itself. Various experst claimed it would go off a cliff immediately after Brexit vote, didn't happen. And yet new mortgage approvals are drastically down in last quarter, a worrying sign. Who do we belive eh?

Weak sterling? Positives and negatives, all depends how it pans out. Would cut number of UK vistors looking to EU and North America, but would greatly appeal to pax inbound to UK from these markets, as well as making UK tourists look east to weaker currencies. I'm certainly not willing to bet on how things will look in 2 years, that's for sure.

owenc
13th Jun 2017, 22:28
Drop in Great Britain tourism won't affect us. We have back/forth relationship since we are in the same country and use GBP not Euros.

racedo
14th Jun 2017, 19:02
Drop in Great Britain tourism won't affect us. We have back/forth relationship since we are in the same country and use GBP not Euros.

If as indicated that 50% of hire car comps business is to hirers visiting whole of Ireland then how does NI become immune ?

On picking up I counted approx 10 cars with ROI plates in hire car drop off area who clearly had 1 way car hires and using BFS to fly from. The idea that BFS is immune is laughable.

I and friends could just as easily used Dub but we needed to be in a specific place flying from BFS early and we pretty much spent time all our in ROI.

On other occasions BFS will not be suitable.

owenc
14th Jun 2017, 19:15
I'm specifically referring to flying not car hire.

racedo
14th Jun 2017, 21:39
I'm specifically referring to flying not car hire.

On an inward flight of real visitors (i,e exculding Residents arriving back) the car hire companys reckon that 20 -30 % will hire a car.

Suprised at the stats I have spoken with number of different rental agencies and they view it that a flight of circa 170 people coming into UK and Ireland smaller airports that 60% of passengers are returning residents or to family, Of the remaing 70 odd tourists there is an expect conversion factor of 20% i,e circa 14 cars rented, sometimes high as 30% sometimes lower but that is the conversion factor.

Rental agencies see the reduction in tourism numbers very quickly as their car fleets do not move.

As I said Belfast had lots of ROI registered cars there and last time dropped off in Dublin there were prob 3-4 NI cars at the off site rental place for just one agency,

tws123
16th Jun 2017, 10:48
SEN-DUB recommences on the 29th October 2017 with 18 weekly flights by Flybe/Stobart Air

airbourne
16th Jun 2017, 21:09
How about sticking to talking about DUB and leave the nordys to their own thing!?

Jamie2k9
23rd Jun 2017, 20:53
AF reduce CDG from 5 to 4 daily with AF (x2), Hop (x1) and WX (x1)

KLM increase AMS from 2 to 5 daily with KL mainline (x2) and City Hopper (x3).

mik3bravo
24th Jun 2017, 08:23
SEN-DUB recommences on the 29th October 2017 with 18 weekly flights by Flybe/Stobart Air

Competitively priced too and no surcharge for a seat allocation selection either. Can see it being a success story.

Short hop into London too - handy, very handy!

Not a turbo prop but a jet too.

PPRuNeUser0176
25th Jun 2017, 23:13
Last Sunday 18th June was bussiest day ever with 102,000 passengers passing through the airport terminals. Numbers have exceeded 100,000 a number of times this month and are expected to beat 102,000 over the coming weeks.

EI321
28th Jun 2017, 14:39
Last Sunday 18th June was bussiest day ever with 102,000 passengers passing through the airport terminals. Numbers have exceeded 100,000 a number of times this month and are expected to beat 102,000 over the coming weeks.

Anyone know what the timeframe for the second permanent pier at T2 being built is?

Noxegon
28th Jun 2017, 16:34
Anyone know what the timeframe for the second permanent pier at T2 being built is?

This being Ireland, about ten years after it's needed.

PPRuNeUser0176
28th Jun 2017, 16:51
No date but the temp peir will be around for up to 6 years which points to construction not happening until after new runway is complete.

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd Jul 2017, 16:04
Appears UA plan to end the seasonal suspension of IAD from early Jan to early Mar and add extra capacity over winter.

UA IAD-DUB NOV 0.7>0.9 DEC 0.6>0.8 JAN 0.2>0.5 FEB 0>0.6 MAR 0.7>0.9

VickersVicount
6th Jul 2017, 16:56
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/57523-norwegian-eyes-asia-routes-pending-russian-approval
Too much too soon?

toledoashley
6th Jul 2017, 17:27
I have it on good authority that this suggestion of Norwegian operating to China is nonsense and not on their radar. My source has confirmed issues with Russian overflight, but Gatwick and Barcelona to Tokyo would be first...

BAladdy
6th Jul 2017, 17:30
It wouldn't surprise me if the add LGW-BKK.

EI-A330-300
6th Jul 2017, 20:28
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/qatar-airways-considers-second-daily-flight-from-dublin-to-doha-1.3145443

Qatar Airways is considering adding a second daily flight from Dublin to Doha just weeks after launching its first service between the two cities, according to its chief executive, Akbar Al Baker.

The Gulf carrier began flying between the capital and Doha last month. Mr Baker confirmed that if bookings continued to be strong, the airline could add a second daily service to its existing schedule.

Speaking after a press conference in Dublin on Thursday, he indicated that Qatar was selling more than 80 per cent of the available seats on its craft, which he said was a good performance for a route that started just weeks ago.

“I am saying that if we continue to get 85 per cent load factors that we will look at a second frequency,” he added.

EI-A330-300
10th Jul 2017, 11:16
June traffic reached 2.9 million up 6%

Europe 1.6m up 7%
UK 844,000 --
Transatlantic 385,000 up 18%
Other International 71,500 up 6%
Domestic 8,000 down 8%

First 6 months 13.8 million up 6%

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/record-june-as-passenger-numbers-reach-2.9-million

ia350
10th Jul 2017, 11:37
Amazing figures and it will get only get busier .

AerRyan
10th Jul 2017, 14:51
Amazing figures and it will get only get busier .

Will it? Why?

Una Due Tfc
10th Jul 2017, 16:45
Will it? Why?

Primary schools not off in June

AerRyan
10th Jul 2017, 16:47
I thought the OP meant that year on year it'll get busier, not month on month.

PPRuNeUser0176
11th Jul 2017, 20:11
CEO said today they hope to announce a route to Pittsburgh soon.

Una Due Tfc
12th Jul 2017, 07:26
CEO said today they hope to announce a route to Pittsburgh soon.

B752/A321LR could do it. Could IAD support a daily A330?

Seljuk22
12th Jul 2017, 18:07
ZRH announced half year growth of 8.6% Looks like they will reach 30 million this year and surpass DUB. DUB may surpass CPH which just reported a growth rate of 2.3% in the first 6 month

EI-BUD
12th Jul 2017, 20:08
Will it? Why?

Aer Ryan,

It will get busier for lots good reasons, here are some;

Loads of new capacity, like Aer Lingus routes that started last year EWR, LAX, BDL. Extra long aircraft added like the 2 new A330-300s last year and already 1 this year. The US carriers putting larger aircraft and capacity on, like AA using more A333s and UA now using 777 daily. Ethiopian Airlines into year 2 of DUB LAX and also Addis Abba. Norwegian.

Like Qatar Airways daily to Doha, Lufthansa additional capacity on German routes, more 321s and an extra daily FRA being added later in the year. Increase in frequency on AMS by KLM, not only to x5 a day but 737s being added to the schedule from later in the year. Wow increase in capacity to KEF, extra days and more 321 than last year. Transavia to Munich for the summer is new capacity that wasn't in place last year. Cobalt Airlines to Larnaca, a longer season this year as the route commenced at a later point last year to this year.

The airport is doing greatly and the level of connecting traffic from EU to US and versa is growing strongly.

inOban
12th Jul 2017, 20:16
With all that extra capacity, it's surprising that growth isn't even higher. Almost makes me think that some services must be struggling.

PPRuNeUser0176
12th Jul 2017, 20:28
FR trimmed capacity this year.

Over 800,000 additional passengers in 6 months is still impressive.

AerRyan
12th Jul 2017, 23:19
However, EI-BUD, the UK market, Dublin's largest market, is struggling massively.

racedo
13th Jul 2017, 18:44
However, EI-BUD, the UK market, Dublin's largest market, is struggling massively.

Hardly surprising given 14 months ago £300 for a weekend in Dublin got you €420, now it gets you €330, 22% conversion hit plus prices have gone up as well.

Friends do Dublin weekend trip on average every 6 weeks or they did over last couple of years, Golf, nights out in Dublin etc. Book well in advance so up to Nov last year booked in May, this year they have been twice. Prob twice more this year they have planned.

AerRyan
13th Jul 2017, 22:02
And should Brexit be anywhere near as awful as predictions are being made out to be, traffic will continue to fall from the UK side. It's possible that EU/US growth will continue, however I suspect overall figures aren't far from temporary stagnation.

I note BHX will soon be losing its service to EWR, few more connecting pax into DUB?

PPRuNeUser0176
13th Jul 2017, 22:11
Wouldn't worry to much about the UK side, the slight dip is FR cutting the most capacity (daa row) from there, they were flogging huge amounts of cheap seats in recent years. Visitors have dropped but traffic has not declined as much.

Transit is more heavily from US to UK and Europe.

EI will likely grow T/A by 10-15% next year and I'm sure they will be a lift in short haul as well but much more moderate.

EI-BUD
13th Jul 2017, 22:46

May +1%, Apr +5%, Mar flat, Feb no comparative available, Jan +8%.
Data from CAA Stats, and the May figure from DAA news item. The stats are good YTD, we may have a challenge for visitors due to currency, but overall the numbers are up. I wouldn't be overly concerned for the UK market, we have huge VFR and huge business traffic over and back. From an airports perspective, a weak currency makes the UK attractive for people flying over, and besides in Dublin there is a huge challenge with bed space, so larger outbound is the opportunity for the airport.

There is a growing and huge connecting traffic and that is only going one way at this time.

And should Brexit be anywhere near as awful as predictions are being made out to be, traffic will continue to fall from the UK side. It's possible that EU/US growth will continue, however I suspect overall figures aren't far from temporary stagnation.

Capacity is consistently being added ex Dublin to/from the US, many factors will continue to stimulate this, the sheer volume of foreign direct investment, the HQs of many multinationals in Dublin, driving strong business traffic, increased connectivity via Dublin to/from the USA and vice versa, the market also to Ireland from the USA is huge, and as new capacity opens up so too do the tourist numbers, especially for all those who have relations or heritage in Ireland.

An example is Air Canada coming onto Dublin instead of Air Canada Rouge, says a lot about the attractiveness of the market. So I don't see a temporary stagnation coming soon...

There is so much talk about Brexit and nobody is fully sure about what will happen, though it is expected to be challenging, in tourism already Tourism Ireland will refocus on driving more tourism from other markets as they recognise that demands from various markets will change.

owenc
13th Jul 2017, 23:34
Don't you think there will be a limit to growth though? The population of the island is only 7 million so I can't imagine the growth is going to take the airport to, for example, 50 million passengers.

cuthere
13th Jul 2017, 23:42
Don't you think there will be a limit to growth though? The population of the island is only 7 million so I can't imagine the growth is going to take the airport to, for example, 50 million passengers

More than twice that of Dubai......