PDA

View Full Version : DUBLIN - 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16

EI-A330-300
12th Mar 2014, 17:59
Jack

I don't see what the issue is, your right has not being denied to strike. The union you pay to be repersented by screwed up big time on the balliout and breached existing agreements with the daa on industrail acrion. Think you need to take the issue up with them or join another union who woudn't screw it up.

It's sort of pointless now anyway as Ryanair and Aer Lingus are continuting with the revised schedule and most other airlines will probaly follow.

SIPTU will seek legal advice to develop strategy to "withdraw labour & take industrial action" if agreement can't be reached.

seeryger
12th Mar 2014, 18:03
Jack1985 - the High Court of Ireland issued the injunction to prevent the strike. Instead of lashing out at government and whoever else you feel responsible you should remember that you live in a democracy where the rule of the courts is part of that process. Instead of hysterical posting you should calmly request of your union leadership to appeal the decision to the surpreme court. That is the legal process, whining isn't.

Jack1985
12th Mar 2014, 18:33
Jack1985 - the High Court of Ireland issued the injunction to prevent the strike. Instead of lashing out at government and whoever else you feel responsible you should remember that you live in a democracy where the rule of the courts is part of that process. Instead of hysterical posting you should calmly request of your union leadership to appeal the decision to the surpreme court. That is the legal process, whining isn't.

Fair post.

Let me just sign off with this, every €1 to the IASS, I get €0.10 back. Not fair regardless of whatever your views are on the matter, particularly as my contract defines that should not be the case.

racedo
12th Mar 2014, 20:57
Let me just sign off with this, every €1 to the IASS, I get €0.10 back. Not fair regardless of whatever your views are on the matter, particularly as my contract defines that should not be the case.

Nope it isn't so freeze where you are in and invest in your own.

Not sure whether Ireland is like UK where you can transfer your pension out.

Jack1985
12th Mar 2014, 21:23
Nope it isn't so freeze where you are in and invest in your own.

Not sure whether Ireland is like UK where you can transfer your pension out.

Are you lecturing me on something you have zero clue about? Stick to Ryanair and you're usual spin.

racedo
12th Mar 2014, 22:41
Are you lecturing me on something you have zero clue about? Stick to Ryanair and you're usual spin.

Less need to be aggressive.

If your getting a negative 90% write off back from everything you invest in future then stop doing it.
Its your money so put it into a plan that gets a return.

Jack1985
12th Mar 2014, 22:47
If your getting a negative 90% write off back from everything you invest in future then stop doing it.
Its your money so put it into a plan that gets a return.

You do realise we are bound to pay it as per contract?

racedo
12th Mar 2014, 23:36
You do realise we are bound to pay it as per contract?

Think you need serious legal advice as an onerous contract IF it is as you decrcibe is likely unenforceable because there is no benefit to you.

Jack1985
12th Mar 2014, 23:45
Think you need serious legal advice as an onerous contract IF it is as you decrcibe is likely unenforceable because there is no benefit to you.

The worse factor is new employees joining either get or don't get the job by signing up to a pension scheme that they will most likely not get (exclude DAA staff from that one), which is very upsetting for those staff. I really don't want to give out much more information because its pretty reckless of me to do that, but let me just say this racedo, do you not really think if all of us could get out of IASS now while we can we would? legally we can't.

racedo
12th Mar 2014, 23:56
but let me just say this racedo, do you not really think if all of us could get out of IASS now while we can we would? legally we can't.

Time to get your Union to get you out of it...............if they claim they can't then find a solicitor who can.
Freeze whatever you have and invest elsewhere.
Company can't sack you for getting out of Pension scheme because they are not one and the same.

VanBosh
13th Mar 2014, 07:58
Racedo,
I feel you are looking at something from the outside, you are looking at it logically and addressing the issue based on logic/common sense. In most cases your advice would be spot on but this scheme is far from that simple which is why it has not been solved in the last 5 years.

I don't have any real insight into it myself and generally would be very dismissive of the EI unions but I do think there is an issue here which needs to be addressed. I'm not saying EI need to cover the deficit as they have no legal responsibility to do so. Unfortunately it looks to me as an outsider of a case of both parties having legitimate grievances with a poorly designed pension scheme in the middle.

Open to correction on any of my thoughts above!

Jack1985
13th Mar 2014, 08:25
You are spot on

Epsomdog
13th Mar 2014, 10:44
I can't help thinking the government are keeping very quiet about this!

Does the government not have a moral obligation to sort this lot out! After all they were running the show when this lot was set up!

Sorry, "government" and "moral" in the same sentence!;)

Sober Lark
13th Mar 2014, 12:19
"poorly designed pension scheme"

Have you seen the benefits provided? Poorly designed in that it is far too generous.

racedo
13th Mar 2014, 12:31
Have you seen the benefits provided? Poorly designed in that it is far too generous.

Because EI/DAA etc were part of the state and Unions like in Civil services got pensions that others not in public service could not get or afford to get.

I see from both sides as some employees will feel its their full entitlement even if it destroys the company. Where as company see its survival as being the issue and pension fund is bleeding them dry.

Sober Lark
13th Mar 2014, 12:46
After what this economy has been through I despise the word 'entitlement'. Unfortunately a headless chicken doesn't recognise the fact it can't really cluck anymore.

Jack1985
13th Mar 2014, 12:52
I can see both of your opinions from above, and can clarify, we were accepting right-down inline with industry right-downs, however talks stalled before agreement, guess by whom - and not unions. All of us realise, it is no longer pre-boom, and I for one accept the companies updated status, some still believe they work for a state company and that is no longer tenable, but the overwhelming majority of staff accept that, there will always be minority in a company. Everyone wants a mutual agreement in this, I for one want at least half of my pension so far to be guaranteed, I don't believe that is greedy nor being ''overly entitled.'' - Or failing that my investment returned and contributions to IASS stopped, I don't believe that is untenable either.

EI-A330-300
13th Mar 2014, 15:18
Tunis Air will beign a weekly service to Monastir for Justsunshine between 21 June and 27 September.

Nouvelair service to Enfidha is still operateing between April and Ocober but moves from a Saturday to Friday flight.

Also notice Flybe have the E-195 scheduled on a daily SOU flights to for the summer, not sure if its new or alwaqys being the case anyone confirm?

stab3.5up
13th Mar 2014, 18:45
Whose the tour operater for LBT

Epsomdog
14th Mar 2014, 12:00
After what this economy has been through I despise the word 'entitlement'.

SL
So if you were told 5 years before you retire, that you weren't going to get the contracted benefits from your pension scheme, you wouldn't complain?

I bet you'd be top of the whingeing list!

I wasn't given any choice, IASS membership was compulsory at the time, the carrot was the defined benefits promised!

Sober Lark
14th Mar 2014, 12:22
Other than what the State provides, 50% of Ireland's workforce will get no pension as will 36% of the self employed.

I'm sorry if you think your glass is half empty. Look around you and learn to appreciate that in reality your glass is half full.

Epsomdog
14th Mar 2014, 20:54
Other than what the State provides, 50% of Ireland's workforce will get no pension as will 36% of the self employed.

Not being an Irish taxpayer or resident, I really don't have a view on this matter.

I do have a contract that states my pension benefits on retirement though!

Jack1985
15th Mar 2014, 00:35
I'm sorry if you think your glass is half empty. Look around you and learn to appreciate that in reality your glass is half full.

You ignore the fact we were paying into something we were told we would get at x amount, regardless of your view of pay scales etc this hasn't been maintained through no fault of employees. Aer Lingus' sueing of SIPTU will do no more then ignite further tensions, it's clear from Aer Lingus' cancellation of services and hiring in of crews/aircraft from Thursday 6th March, they weren't going to compromise on an untenable decision.

DollarBill
15th Mar 2014, 01:43
Perhaps Racedo is finally realising the reason for that unhappiness among the EI staff in relation to the IASS fund. (I do not know the situation among DAA)

All EI staff hired before 2011 were bound by contract to pay into the IASS fund. To date the vast majority of current staff have queried the legality of their employer taking from their salary 8 years after the IPO claimed the pension fund was fine and no longer EI's concern. EI have stated that they cannot stop the payments ("pending legal consultations") The staff have asked and their emploer has fobbed them off. The staffwant the pension issue closed so they and their emplyer can move forward. This pension should have been closed in the 80's or 90's.

I expect you will answer with a pithy comment about "why sign if you didn't like it?" I will counter that line of thought with the image of a 20-25 yr person getting their first job and just being happy to be employed...."pensions are for old people" 15-20 years later that 20 yr old is no "an old person" and worried about a pension.

EI-A330-300
18th Mar 2014, 14:19
Feb passengers up 8% to just under 1.3 million. 2014 figures for first two months up 9% on 2013.

https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-03-18/Passenger_Numbers_Up_8_In_February.aspx

EI-A330-300
19th Mar 2014, 15:22
SIPTU are picking up the fees from the injunctions taken out by DAA and Ryanair.

racedo
19th Mar 2014, 15:42
SIPTU are picking up the fees from the injunctions taken out by DAA and Ryanair.

:E bet membership are happy with that

Jack1985
19th Mar 2014, 17:09
bet membership are happy with that

You're posts are frankly beyond me, after plenty of us answer your theories on this you don't answer, then whenever there's any sort of development against us, you pipe up, are you just generally trying to default yourself as the thread pr*ck so to speak? Sure seems that way.

racedo
19th Mar 2014, 17:59
then whenever there's any sort of development against us,

How development against you ?

SIPTU not just EI and they have stuffed their faces from Govt cash and sought fights in other areas so they can claim to have control like a Maelevolent presence.

SIPTU have always been happy to take what is on offer but when it relates to their own people they happily say you are taking a pension cut.
They are self serving group whose vested interests will always contrast with those who pay their wages.

Jack1985
19th Mar 2014, 18:12
Yeah fair enough, but you're posting in the Dublin thread, which overwhelmingly involves posters being members of SIPTU and/or working within Aer Lingus and the DAA. Statements like '':E bet membership are happy with that'', well of course we are not? I'd like to add also everyone realises what colours SIPTU are now flying - It is more than likely EI will win their case against them also further eroding their cash stockpiles and probably even further damaging their own employees pensions.

I'll admit also the contradiction they only revealed last month is staggering, sort of hilarious because all the union reps look like they were talking out both sides of their mouths and I can tell you EI management know that and haven't or won't let them forget that - So basically our only hope now is personal compromise with employer's, because SIPTU has failed miserably to its members.

*Awaits Ryanair aircraft bearing titles - Slán chuig SIPTU*

Mlinnie
20th Mar 2014, 16:05
https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-03-20/DAA_Welcomes_Ryanair_s_Expanded_Winter_Schedule.aspx

EI-A330-300
9th Apr 2014, 17:03
March traffic dropped 1% because of lather Easter to over 1.5 million passengers. Over all for first 3 months passengers up 5% (186,000 pax)

https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-04-09/March_Passenger_Figures.aspx

irish lad
9th Apr 2014, 20:18
With a late Easter and all the new routes, should be in for a very good April

EI-A330-300
14th Apr 2014, 09:56
Germanwings have decided to take FR on Cologne route and announced they will operate the service in winter twice weekly.

Jack1985
14th Apr 2014, 11:48
Germanwings have decided to take FR on Cologne route and announced they will operate the service in winter twice weekly.

Bold move by Lufty, good luck to them! :ok:

racedo
14th Apr 2014, 12:00
2 flights a week is not competition to a daily service.

Jack1985
14th Apr 2014, 12:04
Of course it is with the amount of onward connections! Not for P2P obviously.

EI-A330-300
16th Apr 2014, 15:52
Germanwings have released Cologne at 3 weekly (Wed, Fri, Sun).

Meanwhile 570,000 people from the North used DUB last year up 11% and despite all the London capacity from BFS/BHD/LDY - LHR, LGW, STN are in 10 routes used.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-04-16/Dublin_Airport_Grows_Northern_Ireland_Business_By_11.aspx

owenc
16th Apr 2014, 21:02
And what is your point?

Should we close all of the airports in NI?

You are aware there are some parts of NI closer to Dublin...

EI-BUD
17th Apr 2014, 04:55
This mention of dub airport use by NI customers comes around each year. Can anyone explain precisely how DUB measure this?

Do all the airlines share the booking data with DAA??

It is not alarming one bit, even LHR being the most popular in fact should be expected, people from Armagh , South Down, Fermanagh and Tyrone will little DuB being as easy to reach as Belfast airports, closer or more convenient .

BFS,BHD and LDY could produce similar metrics showing passengers from Louth, Cavan, Monaghan , Leitrim Donegal and Sligo using NI airports. I would suggest this is very significant also....

Sounds to me like DAA publicity team saying that the big advertising campaign in NI is working and I'd suggest the need a broader measurement to assess success of their marketing campaign ...

Cyrano
17th Apr 2014, 09:35
This mention of dub airport use by NI customers comes around each year. Can anyone explain precisely how DUB measure this?

Do all the airlines share the booking data with DAA??

No, the airlines don't share booking data - and anyway, booking data is an imperfect indication of where people are actually coming from.

The DAA conducts passenger surveys of departing passengers going through its airports, a bit like the UK CAA. One of the questions is along the lines of "what county are you coming from today?" This is where the information comes from.

The other main difference between DAA and UK CAA stats is that the latter are available to third parties while DAA keeps its stats to itself.

EI-BUD
17th Apr 2014, 13:25
Cyrano,

Thanks for the info, I thought as much re the sharing of data.
Highly subjective data so. Lies, dam lies and statistics.

For those in NI who are highly alarmed by this dont be, I'd be really interested to under when the sampling was done and how many etc.

EI-BUD

GCUFD
17th Apr 2014, 14:52
Cyrano, are the daa and CAA comparable? daa runs airports, where the CAA is a regulator. You'd expect a regulator to publish statistics, but you wouldn't necessarily expect a business to disclose its market research without a reason.

For what it's worth, daa do publish some of their survey results on their website, and invite folk with a commercial interest to contact them if they want more details.

Cyrano
17th Apr 2014, 19:02
Cyrano, are the daa and CAA comparable? daa runs airports, where the CAA is a regulator. You'd expect a regulator to publish statistics, but you wouldn't necessarily expect a business to disclose its market research without a reason.

For what it's worth, daa do publish some of their survey results on their website, and invite folk with a commercial interest to contact them if they want more details.

That's a fair point. You are of course absolutely right that the DAA is a commercial company and the CAA is a public regulator. At the same time, Dublin Airport is by far the biggest single gateway into or out of Ireland and the DAA is a 100% state-owned company running that airport, so it has unique insight into the travel patterns of travellers to/from Ireland, which could be useful for other Irish travel-industry stakeholders, if the DAA's shareholder wanted to take a holistic view (I know, I'm being naive ;) ).

If I wanted to start a bus service from Dublin Airport to (say) Waterford, I'd like to know how many Dublin Airport passengers were coming from there. If I wanted to offer multi-day tours to inbound German tourists, I'd like to understand their average length of stay. And, yes, if I were running (for example) Waterford Airport, I'd like to get an idea of how many passengers from Waterford are flying to London via Dublin.

DAA can entirely justifiably say that it has a commercial role and is under no obligation to help competitors. I suppose the issue I have is that no public data equivalent in detail to UK CAA data is available in Ireland (e.g. what county are the passengers from, how long are they going for, where are they connecting through?). I'd be delighted if the Central Statistics Office were conducting similar surveys and making the data available (even at a price) for the benefit of all stakeholders, and then I'd have no issue with DAA carrying out whatever private surveys they wanted to.

If the DAA do invite people with a commercial interest to contact them for more survey results, that'd be good. I confess that in a few minutes of browsing around daa.ie and dublinairport.ie, and also searching the sites for "survey", I couldn't find any reference to that, but I'm prepared to believe it may well be there somewhere.

Best regards
C.

GCUFD
17th Apr 2014, 23:39
Hi Cyrano

I've no idea how helpful they are in response to any particular query, but for what it's worth the statement I had in mind was this one:Market Research | Fly to Dublin (http://www.flytodublin.com/market-profile/market-research/)

Our market research allows us to monitor the trends of our passengers. The graphs below give an overall view of passengers travelling through Dublin Airport, however if you would like more detailed information on any one of our number of markets please let us know and we will provide you with further information.I also notice that the IAA (which I'd take it is broadly similar to the CAA) states that it doesn't supply passenger data. Their site actually still tells people that the daa would supply data on Shannon! And, indeed, CSO data on air traffic doesn't seem to include related county.

Mlinnie
23rd Apr 2014, 12:18
https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-04-23/Flybe_To_Add_Dublin-London_City_Service_From_October.aspx

EI-BUD
23rd Apr 2014, 12:22
Does anybody know in a month approximately how many passengers avail of the connection Donegal to London Heathrow? I.e. Flybe (LC)/ BA combination?

Cyrano
23rd Apr 2014, 12:24
New route to London City Airport with Flybe from October!

https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-04-23/Flybe_To_Add_Dublin-London_City_Service_From_October.aspx

CityJet would take issue with your description of this as a "new route" as they have been serving it for much of the last 20 years. :cool:

Flybe's market entry may drive prices down a bit on DUB-LCY but certainly brings some unwelcome competition for one of the core routes of a newly independent CityJet.

EI-BUD
23rd Apr 2014, 12:29
Cyrano

I'd agree with you on this. The new investor at Cityjet will certainly not allow Flybe to steal one of their most important and long established routes from them. Cityjet did exit the route before at some stage.

Ironically, Flybe (JEA) have been on the route before in association with Aer Lingus I think it was ...

BA came at the start of the financial crash in 2008 and abandoned the route mid season. I think it will require quite a lot of cash burn to get Dublin originating passenger into the habit of Flybe or even checking Flybe for pricing. In the mean time the passenger gets to get a better deal. Clearly that wont be sustainable in the longer term...

EI-BUD

Una Due Tfc
23rd Apr 2014, 14:07
The vast majority of people on that route had their tickets booked and paid for by their companies. You can bet Flybe will be e-mailing the various hr departments to let them know they don't have to pay through the nose to cover for a thirsty RJ anymore

Mlinnie
28th Apr 2014, 15:05
https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-04-28/Dublin_Airport_To_Get_A_New_Daily_Service_To_Cambridge_Airpo rt.aspx

racedo
28th Apr 2014, 19:35
Dub-Cambridge................... keep wondering why?

Cyrano
28th Apr 2014, 19:46
Desperate airport, with unspent marketing support funding left over after Darwin's rapid exit
+
Credulous airline with spare aircraft but apparently lacking anyone able to sceptically analyse rose-tinted airport "forecasts" or organise a launch at more than 2 weeks' notice
=
Recipe for commercial disaster

Jack1985
28th Apr 2014, 19:46

+1.. another money down the drain proposal, I'd give it until Sept/Oct unfortunately.

stab3.5up
28th Apr 2014, 20:22
More like friday fortnight

TartinTon
28th Apr 2014, 20:31
You only have to read the quote from the CEO on the DUB apt website....utterly clueless

Just a spotter
29th Apr 2014, 08:16

At a guess, Cyrano has it, but I'd speculate that WX looked at RE attempting to build a base outside London and decided to replicate the strategy out of Cambridge.

Anyone know what the estimated catchment numbers and demographics for Southend and Cambridge look like?

JAS

Cyrano
29th Apr 2014, 08:42
Anyone know what the estimated catchment numbers and demographics for Southend and Cambridge look like?

JAS

Here's some data on Cambridge (http://www.therouteshop.com/profiles/cambridge-airport/) (not yet updated to reflect the CityJet announcement). This is the airport's own marketing pitch.

They claim a potential of 115,000 passengers per year between Dublin and Cambridge.

In English what this is likely to mean is "we looked at a CAA survey and saw that there were 115,000 passengers going between Dublin and the postcodes in our catchment area."

It doesn't take account of the fact that virtually all of those are doing so via multiple daily Ryanair flights from Stansted just down the road. (Ryanair carried over 700,000 passengers between Stansted and Dublin in 2013.)

In addition, that 115,000 number seems to include the connecting possibilities to the US through Dublin (which by and large don't exist with the CityJet schedule) so the real point-to-point potential will be a LOT less.

CityJet is planning to fly 12 F50 round trips between Dublin and Cambridge every week, or about 62,000 seats a year.

This will be ugly.

(Note that I'm not suggesting there is no potential between Dublin and Cambridge. There is. But it really needs to be an Aer Lingus-branded flight offering transatlantic connections - THAT could work.)

Here, incidentally, is some catchment information for Southend. (http://www.therouteshop.com/profiles/london-southend-airport/)

airbourne
4th May 2014, 15:32
Sorry for the aerosexual question.

I see EI-STA is back in DUB operating the summer charters. Anyone know where is was on the off season?

Jamie2k9
4th May 2014, 16:09
Sorry for the aerosexual question.

I see EI-STA is back in DUB operating the summer charters. Anyone know where is was on the off season? It had never left. It operates ski charters during winter weekends and also operates for sporting fixtures and a few flights to Iceland before the summer routes started.

Just a spotter
6th May 2014, 20:25
I heard a story over the weekend that there are some interesting conversations between IAA, Dublin Airport, Tourism Ireland and the organisers of the Giro d'Italia. The story goes that the organisers of the event want to have helicopters follow the entire route for TV coverage, including the stage through the coastal strip of north county Dublin and on into the city. Seems ,they're not too impressed by the suggestion that allowing unfettered flying across an approach/departure for Dublin's main runway is a no-no.

JAS

EI-A330-300
6th May 2014, 21:31
WestJet will now operate between 15 June and 26 October and not 5 October as was announced when they launched DUB service.

EI-A330-300
9th May 2014, 16:47
Over 1.8 million passengers in April up 13%, Year to date almost 5.9 million up 7%.

Latest News > 1.8 Million Passengers In April At Dublin Airport (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-05-09/1_8_Million_Passengers_In_April_At_Dublin_Airport.aspx)

Jamie2k9
18th May 2014, 13:03
In addition to Flybe service to LCY, they are overnighting a second Dash-8 and increasing SOU from 3 to 4 daily (3 on sun).

Ex DUB

Ex SOU

EI-BUD
18th May 2014, 13:27
Welcome 'Flybe Ireland' :rolleyes:
Aer Lingus regional could have made a real go of DUB SOU route with a twice daily business orientated service with an early departure ex DUB and the feed from the US, probably not attractive now. Mind you to be fair to Flybe they have consistently defended their patch at SOU...

adfly
18th May 2014, 14:10
Good to see Flybe increasing SOU though, DUB has been a fairly strong performer for some time with them, even with EI Regional flying BOH-DUB more recently (admittedly at a far lower frequency).

BFS BHD
18th May 2014, 21:43
When does TOM start there full summer schedule from DUB is it the same as BFS which starts on Thursday?

GCUFD
25th May 2014, 20:40
Varadkar's draft aviation policy does have an uplifting vision for Dublin Airport, and a firm grasp of its potential. For instancehttp://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/aviation/english/draft-national-aviation-policy/draft-aviation-policy.pdf

Many of the respondents considered that Dublin Airport is the only airport in the State which could be described as critical to national business and tourism needs. It handles 80% of all passengers into and out of the State and 85% of air freight. Previous policies have tended to beat around the bush, rather than acknowledge this kind of reality.

I'm intriged, but don't know, what precisely this statment means

To ensure future connectivity and to deliver growth, it will be important that the State airports, Dublin in particular, have runways of sufficient length to enable services to operate to global emerging markets without weight restriction.<...> Dublin Airport has secured the land needed for such a runway. While planning permission has already been secured by the DAA for the project, this may need to be revisited to take account of any future Government decisions on a second runway following the outcome of the infrastructure/capacity review that DAA will be required to carry out in 2015. What changes might be needed to the current planning permission?

carsonEGAD
26th May 2014, 12:09
Anyone know why a TK A330 TC-JNJ was in last night and departed heading west over the Atlantic?

CLIPPER 33
26th May 2014, 12:17
The Turkish A330 was bringing the soccer team to the US after their match against Ireland.

EI-A330-300
26th May 2014, 21:13
What changes might be needed to the current planning permission?

GCUFD

The runway planning permission was granted with around 31 conditions and the daa in 2008 said they wanted to appeal conditions 3 and 5. I can't remember but it was shortly before it was prospered and I don't think they actually appealed.

Condition 3 states the runway can't be operational between 23.00-07.00 which has two of the busiest slots.

Condition 5 states that when the new runway is operational the average number of movements was capped at 65 between 23.00-07.00. Two of the busiest slots 23.00-00.00 and 06.00-07.00.

The average number of movements between these times this week is 70-75 and at the very least they will be looking for the cap to be lifted if not completely removed into the future and tbh this policy may actually help.

Since 2008 the airport has become much more busier at peak times so 65 movements isn't practical for future growth.

Is tonight's Air Malta arrival and departure via GLA a one off?

Jack1985
26th May 2014, 21:23
Is tonight's Air Malta arrival and departure via GLA a one off?

Bringing Maltese Nationals back to Ireland after voting in Malta for the LEA's, similar flight last Friday bringing them to Malta.

Cyrano
27th May 2014, 09:18
Interesting comments about the planning permission and the peak hours, EI-A330-300. Thanks.

I recall a few years ago (before the D pier was completed) taking off from the runway north of the D pier (what would that have been? Runway 11? 12?) which is now used for aircraft parking.

I gather that the D pier blocks the view of that area from the control tower, and any use of that runway would therefore need an additional control facility. But apart from that, I've often wondered why that runway couldn't be used at peak times for smaller aircraft departures. Is the surface condition too poor? Is the DAA (sorry, "daa") reluctant to display any ability to increase peak capacity lest it weaken their case for a shiny new full-length runway?

Una Due Tfc
27th May 2014, 12:10
Work on new Tower to start in 2016, it will be located in the carpark of the current tower and be 4 times the height.

The IAA has been told construction on 28R/10L to begin in 2019, hence why they are going ahead with the new Tower.

EI-A330-300
27th May 2014, 12:42
I gather that the D pier blocks the view of that area from the control tower, and any use of that runway would therefore need an additional control facility. But apart from that, I've often wondered why that runway couldn't be used at peak times for smaller aircraft departures. Is the surface condition too poor? Is the DAA (sorry, "daa") reluctant to display any ability to increase peak capacity lest it weaken their case for a shiny new full-length runway?

Don't think that the tower is an issue but a new tower is a must with new runway as it blocks visibility. 11 could be reopened with little work. It was included in the CAP charges (2010-2014) as a provision if needed.

They can get a lot more movements from 28 during peak times and they have used up some of the slack between 06.00-06.15 more efficiently this summer to manage capacity.

EI-A330-300
30th May 2014, 23:17
The new runway cap appears to be raised to 25 million passengers while airport charges are proposed to fall by 22% between 2015 and 2019.

Two stands for A380 are proposed one at Pier E (4) and Pier B (3) as Emirates are looking at A380 ops.

Some interesting reading:
2014 Determination (http://www.aviationreg.ie/regulation-of-airport-charges-dublin-airport/2014-determination.576.html)

Una Due Tfc
31st May 2014, 11:09
My colleagues at Dublin say the big reason the A380 can't operate there is due to the Bravo taxiways being too close to 10/28 and as such there wouldn't be enough wing tip clearance meaning they would have to stop all runway movement s while it was taxiing. I wonder how much fuel 10 A320s/738s/AYRs would burn in a hold for an extra ten mins? A380 ops cannot happen until either the distance between the bravos and the rwy increases significantly or the new runway is built

Mlinnie
1st Jun 2014, 17:19
Do TOM have one or two based planes at DUB this summer?

Jamie2k9
3rd Jun 2014, 23:30
Lufthansa have announced DUB-MUC is to become year round services. They have increased to 6 weekly from 4 weekly over peak summer this year.

Flights will operate Wednesday, Friday, Sunday in November and March and Wednesday and Sunday in December, January and February with A320.

15.30-16.55 Inbound
17.45-20.55 Outbound

Latest News > Lufthansa To Go Year Round On Dublin-Munich (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-06-03/Lufthansa_To_Go_Year_Round_On_Dublin-Munich.aspx)

Luxair have announced their service to Luxembourg will now be a year round service and continue to operate 4 weekly.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-05-27/Dublin_Airport_Welcomes_Luxair_Expansion.aspx

Do TOM have one or two based planes at DUB this summer?

1 based, Air Contractors have taken up the slack which required a second aircraft last summer since TCX are gone and they moved AGP to scheduled EI.

Jamie2k9
9th Jun 2014, 22:57
Almost 2 million passengers in May up 7%

Europe 1.1 million +3
UK 665,000 +9
T/A 207,000 +18
ME/Africa 46,000 +19
Domestic 6,500 +16

Year to date almost 8 million up 7%

http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=8506481

Hangar6
11th Jun 2014, 20:10
9 week route suspension BFSEWR DUBEWR and DUBIAD
Note sure re SNN, good news for EI but bad news for tourism , UA do code share with EI so perhaps a sign of closer relationship?

Noxegon
11th Jun 2014, 20:19
When...? I just looked in Nov and Feb and the flights are available?

LAX_LHR
11th Jun 2014, 20:24
When...? I just looked in Nov and Feb and the flights are available?

According to the BBC, BFS-EWR gets cut 9th Jan-11th March.

I have a hard time believing DUB looses both EWR and IAD for this period (MAN is also rumoured to get some cuts but not confirmed), yet routes that have been cut back in winters past, such as GLA/BHX/EDI are not being touched?

All seems very strange to me?

Jamie2k9
11th Jun 2014, 22:58
EWR will not change but IAD takes a break. IAD the same from MAN and FCO.

EI-A330-300
12th Jun 2014, 11:02
Further growth from Flybe, new route to Inverness from 26 Oct. Operates daily.

BE will also take on SEN from EIR but drop to a daily flight. Flybe and not Stobart will operate the route using a SOU based Dash 8

kgoodall
13th Jun 2014, 15:24
The first WestJet flight should operate from St Johns on Sunday/Monday. I'm quite interested in this as WestJet is seen as sort of the Southwest/Easyjet of Canada. It would be great to see some more international economy options if they do decide to expand.

WestJet to cross Atlantic Ocean this weekend, eyes further expansion - Calgary - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/westjet-to-cross-atlantic-ocean-this-weekend-eyes-further-expansion-1.2674485)

EI-A330-300
14th Jun 2014, 20:02
Noticed UA had a B764 on the early EWR arrival and departure, excellent loads to.

VickersVicount
14th Jun 2014, 23:34
EDI and GLA have always been "touched" over the winter from their summer schedules in recent years. Remember most of the services ex EDI are peak summer daily only

owenc
15th Jun 2014, 09:42
Whats the likelihood of ual 131 having a 767 within the next 9 days?

EI-A330-300
15th Jun 2014, 23:26
Would appear that two CO B752 will be replacing 2 UA B763 between EWR-LHR for most of the time IAD-DUB/MAN are suspended and the a few weeks maintenance before going back to IAD.

Cyrano
17th Jun 2014, 08:25
Anyone have any ideas what the Air China A330 is doing in Dublin this morning?

Hangar6
17th Jun 2014, 12:32
VIP gvt jet

Bagso
26th Jun 2014, 05:44
Can anybody confirm if the west jet goes on to Toronto OR connects with a wave of any other flights out of St Johns ?

EI-A330-300
26th Jun 2014, 09:01
It goes on to Toronto.

Norwegian have also confirmed they are considering a service to Bangkok next year according to IT.

EI-A330-300
26th Jun 2014, 10:00
BA launch LCY from 26 October. 5 daily flights Mon-Fri, 1 Sat-Sun.

Latest News > British Airways To Fly To London City From October (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-06-26/British_Airways_To_Fly_To_London_City_From_October.aspx)

Una Due Tfc
26th Jun 2014, 16:33
So is that 13 BA flights a day out of DUB? Have they ever done anything near that many before? I mean I remember dashes to SOU, 737s to MAN and Tridents and 1-11s to LHR, but never 13 of them......

Noxegon
27th Jun 2014, 05:53
It's also a jump from 5 daily LCY flights up to 14 daily LCY flights when you include flybe. It's going to be bloody...

larry the man
27th Jun 2014, 07:00
It's going to be 5 daily flights in 12 months time , and they'll likely be red white and blue!

EI-BUD
27th Jun 2014, 07:34
Clearly with such over capacity on Dub LCY , there won't be much in it for any 3 of the airlines . WX is very well established on the route ... So sf least they will get their fair share of the business. However, clearly BA marking out it's territory opposite Flybe.

BE have more to worry about here .

Interesting that BA came to the route only to abandon it mid season but that was 2008! A very different time ...

mart901
27th Jun 2014, 10:21
That's not going to last! To have any hope of success there will need to be leisure pax using the services, and with the cost base at LCY there's not a huge hope. Having said that, I can't see cityjet exiting such a high frequency, lucrative route so easily. Flybe look the weakest.
What a/c do cityjet use nowadays on the route?

j636
28th Jun 2014, 16:56
Heard a whisper than UA are considering a daily ORD service in 2015. Not sure its reliable however its not the first rumour about such a route. UA are due to make a routes announcement shortly and what I can gather it will be long haul but not sure if its to Europe or Asia. Heuston would be a better addition, not sure DUB needs a fourth daily service to ORD. Their current 3 daily flights are completely sold out everyday.

Skipness One Echo
29th Jun 2014, 20:50
It's also a jump from 5 daily LCY flights up to 14 daily LCY flights when you include flybe. It's going to be bloody...
CityFlyer are going in hard on Rotterdam and Dublin, two lifeblood CityJet routes, I think it's a real attempt to force them out. I would be very surprised if flybe last the winter if they even begin.
What a/c do cityjet use nowadays on the route?
It's an RJ85 six abreast against the way more comfortable BA ERJs sadly.

akerosid
30th Jun 2014, 16:56
"Heuston would be a better addition, not sure DUB needs a fourth daily service to ORD. Their current 3 daily flights are completely sold out everyday."

Well, it'll certainly make plane-to-train connections easier!

There is a lot of buzz on other sites about the Ethiopian ADD-DUB-LAX service becoming a reality. Would be great if it happened, but still skeptical. Anyone heard anything else?

Noxegon
30th Jun 2014, 17:47
Heuston would be a better addition, not sure DUB needs a fourth daily service to ORD. Their current 3 daily flights are completely sold out everyday.

Er, what? The three daily flights are sold out, so a fourth isn't necessary...?

I'd like Houston too, but if the market wants ORD...

j636
30th Jun 2014, 17:59
Sorry was referring to UAs 3 daily flights to EWR and IAD and not ORD services in general. Im sure the ORD market could easily take a extra 757 daily.

npeff
30th Jun 2014, 19:03
Ethiopian Airlines to start Los Angeles service in 2015 - CEO

Ethiopian Airlines, the largest carrier in Africa, said it is preparing to launch a new service to Los Angeles starting in 2015. The flight will be served via Dublin, Ireland according to a report by eTN. Ethiopian Airlines CEO Tewolde Gebremariam was quoted as saying, Since it is a long flight we need a stopover. And we are planning to make a stopover in Dublin. We have secured a traffic right from the Ireland Civil Aviation Authority,” Tewolde said. If everything goes according to schedule, Ethiopian will launch the flight to Los Angeles next year.

See Ethiosports - Ethiopian Airlines plans to fly to Los Angeles (http://www.ethiosports.com/2014/06/29/ethiopian-airlines-plans-to-fly-to-los-angeles/)

stab3.5up
1st Jul 2014, 07:54
Are ET not one of the rising stars of Africa?

Heathrow Harry
1st Jul 2014, 14:43
They've always been one of the best airlines in Africa (I know that's not saying much but...)

early adopters of a lot of Boeing kit, and quite a few people use Addis as a hub for less fortunate spots

Una Due Tfc
2nd Jul 2014, 00:03
So DUB'S first 787 service (tripler can't do DUB-LAX due to the runway .

DUB-LAX worked in the past. This goes to show the market DUB could chase when 28R/10L is built.

JAI in Brussels, SIA in Frankfurt, with US preclearance they would move to DUB in a heartbeat if the runway was long enough

Mlinnie
3rd Jul 2014, 13:03
Latest News > Ryanair To Operate New Glasgow International Service (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-07-03/Ryanair_To_Operate_New_Glasgow_International_Service.aspx)

stab3.5up
3rd Jul 2014, 17:36
Would ET have traffic rights in and out of DUB to states and Ethiopia

EI-A330-300
3rd Jul 2014, 17:52
They need clearance from the US to carry traffic to/from LAX. East bound shouldn't be a problem.

BTW where is all the 787 rumours coming from as it CEO said its a B777 service if it happens.

Im sure EI are watching this closely and there will probably be plenty of objections from carriers either side of the pound, not convinced they will get the rights.

akerosid
3rd Jul 2014, 19:56
The DAA has gone out to several airlines and ET is not the only one to have been approached, just the first one that seems to have bitten.

The DAA would not have made these approaches if the govt were going to obstruct it - and the govt's policy is to encourage fifth freedom rights; the new aviation policy will enshrine this as policy - and a good thing too. If EI doesn't fly the route, it can't act as "dog in the manger". I can't see US carriers being too pushed, as no US carriers has sought to fly LAX-DUB.

There are still quite a few cities to which we don't yet have a link and I'm sure the govt would encourage the DAA to tout for routes and if fifth freedom rights work as the bait to reel them in, then let them do it.

Hangar6
3rd Jul 2014, 20:37
It is worth noting DL AA UA and US have huge traffic to LAX ex IRL , it just goes via their hubs, they will object for sure, why wouldn't they? See their reaction to NAS ex UK , but who knows maybe the concept of free trade will hit the aviation world

Jamie2k9
4th Jul 2014, 12:42
Over 2.1 million passengers in June up 6%.

Europe 1.2 million up 4%
UK 640,000 up 4%
Transatlantic 245,000 up 15%
Middle East/Africa 51,000 up 12%
Domestic 6,000 up 3%

Year to date just under 10 million up 7%

Latest News > Over 2.1 Million Passengers At Dublin Airport In June (http://dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-07-04/Over_2_1_Million_Passengers_At_Dublin_Airport_In_June.aspx)

BCA03
4th Jul 2014, 13:28
Rumor has it contract been signed between Ethiopian airlines and DAA for Addis - Dublin - LAX - Addis, starting March 2015 using B77L equipment. You heard it first

Una Due Tfc
4th Jul 2014, 16:10
So it's going to be load restricted if it is the 77L, about 70% of MTOW, as page 10 of this document describes (approximately 3,300m required for MTOW at MSL on a standard day of 15 degrees C, QNH 1013 HPA, Density 1.225 kg per m3)

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/acaps/7772sec3.pdf

Edited to add of course DUB-LAX would require nowhere near max fuel load for a full pax cabin, but they would be unable to go to MTOW by adding cargo

CallBell
4th Jul 2014, 16:19
ET traffic rights
Rumor has it contract been signed between Ethiopian airlines and DAA for Addis - Dublin - LAX - Addis, starting March 2015 using B77L equipment. You heard it first

Is it not routed via DUB on the return or just a typo?

stab3.5up
4th Jul 2014, 17:43
A typo one would hope

Coupled_To_Me
5th Jul 2014, 13:21
Una, you can never go to MTOW by adding cargo if you've already reached MZFW.

Una Due Tfc
5th Jul 2014, 14:05
Apologies, the point I'm trying to make is that they won't be able to do MZFW due to the runway

BCA03
5th Jul 2014, 17:40
It's a typo unfortunately. It does indeed return via Dublin from LAX. 5th freedom is being utilized and approved by IAA. March is rumored the start date, with 3 flights departing weekly. Official announcement should be released soon enough one hopes.

Just to note that ET operate the long range B777 with the GE engines producing 115,000lbs of thrust. I would hope the airline has looked into the performance and payload for this route.

Jamie2k9
5th Jul 2014, 23:11
So is that 13 BA flights a day out of DUB? Have they ever done anything near that many before? I mean I remember dashes to SOU, 737s to MAN and Tridents and 1-11s to LHR, but never 13 of them......

Not quiet, BA have being cutting back LHR. They were 8 daily, then late last year they cut back to 7/8 daily and now once LCY starts they cut to 6/7 daily. (out of the mixed frequency, its primarily the lower of the two)

leebrensten
6th Jul 2014, 13:35
Hi all, quick question, does anyone know does the westjet crew on the early st Johns landing in dub go straight back, or overnight?

wheelbarrow
6th Jul 2014, 15:03
Straight back after turnaround, sure its only a short hop really.

Just about the same distance/time as a Turkey and back.

Bagso
6th Jul 2014, 15:39
Do we know what loads are like re West jet.

EI-A330-300
6th Jul 2014, 15:50
AFAIK crew return same flight, a change takes place at St. Johns for the YYZ leg.

As for loads, according to there CEO the route is mores less at capacity with loads of 95% with little more availability towards October. They also said they are looking at year round flights. Over 11.000 tickets were sold during the first 24h of the route going online.

Skipness One Echo
6th Jul 2014, 16:48
4 hr 15 East, 1 hr 20 at DUB, 5 hr 5 West with reporting an hour before, that's a 10 hour 25 day on an aeroplane with two loads of passengers and meals. Not sure I'd be bidding for that gig unless there was a decent payday in it.

EI-A330-300
6th Jul 2014, 17:36
4 hr 15 East, 1 hr 20 at DUB, 5 hr 5 West with reporting an hour before, that's a 10 hour 25 day on an aeroplane with two loads of passengers and meals. Not sure I'd be bidding for that gig!

Compared to a 10h flight to Izmir with Aer Lingus with an extra 76 passengers. Meal services is probably hard however once its done, its an easy flight compared to similar hops in Europe. Given the choice I think most might pick T/A flight.

CallBell
6th Jul 2014, 19:37
Do westjet offer complimentary meals on this flight or is it BOB like their domestic ops?

VickersVicount
6th Jul 2014, 22:10
"as you will be travelling on our WestJet Boeing 737 series aircraft, our inflight service, baggage allowances and many other familiar WestJet features will remain the same"

escortmk2
7th Jul 2014, 14:16
Do westjet offer complimentary meals on this flight or is it BOB like their domestic ops?

Complementary drink (non alcoholic) and a snack only. Passengers paying the 'Plus' fare get a meal as far as I'm aware.

EI-A330-300
8th Jul 2014, 02:17
WestJet used a B738 on Mondays flights (Walt Disney World aircraft). Wonder if it was high loads as the 3 aircraft scheduled for the service couldn't of all being unavailable. A rare site!

EI-A330-300
9th Jul 2014, 10:23
EK will be flying the A380 in a few weeks to measure it on taxiways and it could be on one of the daily flights in September.

Una Due Tfc
9th Jul 2014, 18:17
Where did you hear that EI? Not doubting your story but like I said before my colleagues in DUB have always told me the issue was wing tip clearance

Skipness One Echo
9th Jul 2014, 20:12
Lordy!! They shouldn't have to physically send one to check if DUB is A380 capable surely?!?!?

El Bunto
9th Jul 2014, 20:32
They shouldn't have to physically send one to check if DUB is A380 capable surely?!?!?

The paperwork might say it's capable but their insurer and / or lessor will demand a non-rev demonstration, particularly for an airport that hasn't handled the type

Can you imagine the issues if the first pax flight to land clipped its wingtip on a pole...? Oh my, the whiplash clams alone would bankrupt even Emirates!

Skipness One Echo
10th Jul 2014, 00:12
Didn't happen at GLA, MAN, BHX, or LGW come to think of it, first A380 visits were commercial. Be good to see though!

Sober Lark
10th Jul 2014, 06:04
Two years later and they still haven't got their own Emirates Lounge at DUB. Probably illustrates they haven't got any growing demand for their Business and First class product on the route so I'd say that's flag enough to put your 380 rumour to bed.

Just a spotter
10th Jul 2014, 08:27
To be rather cynical, I'd suspect the 380 visit is nothing more than PR and marketing by EK and/or the DAA. It'll most likely get prime time coverage on the national news bulletins. Don't forget the DAA's recent public announcement in response to criticism that Dublin was A380 ready and capable. It could also be used to strengthen the case for 28R, and possibly the extension of the existing runway.

DUB has seen Concorde visits in the dim and distant past ... didn't mean there was any likelihood of a SST service from our little city.

JAS

EI-A330-300
10th Jul 2014, 15:23
Two years later and they still haven't got their own Emirates Lounge at DUB. Probably illustrates they haven't got any growing demand for their Business and First class product on the route so I'd say that's flag enough to put your 380 rumour to bed.

Not necessary, nobody expected anything which has happened with the routes.

Jan 2012 - daily A330
Jan 2012 - B777 from July 2012
Apr 2012 - B777 from May 2012
Jan 2014 - Second daily B777 from Sep

We do know they held discussions about the A380 and daa have included it in 2015-2019 plans which final approval will happen in coming weeks.

Have other routes had loungers within the first 2 years and the current terminal set up could change which could effect plans.

racedo
10th Jul 2014, 18:28
Issue as mentioned before is that while first flood of migrants to Australia generated a lot of traffic and the flights home on return leg there is a plateau eventually reached. The numbers emigrating / return visits don't go anywhere and opportunity for growth is elsewhere.

General Dogsbody
10th Jul 2014, 23:23
No requirement to have a a380 visit for qualification purposes, this can all be established from survey's etc.. Maybe a PR exercise, but nothing is planned at the moment!.

In the future for PR purposes who knows..

bannercounty
11th Jul 2014, 00:21
Maybe just an exercise the same as BA did in Shannon last year and no harm in double checking. afterall didn't a Dub promise 5 concerts for Garth :O

EI-A330-300
14th Jul 2014, 17:09
The DoT have prepared a bi-lateral agreement with the Ethiopian authorities but it has yet to sign off.

ET have not applied for fifth freedom rights howver its caused s stir with US carriers claiming they will pull out if ET are allowed to operate. Something which is not washing with the DoT here.

US carriers would not be a DUB now if their routes were loss making or marginally profitable so nothing more than them trying to stop a service. Like why did AA move their JFK service from BRU to DUB! Saying that Daily generally talks a lot of BS.

Hopefully the new minister does a good job like Leo.

Ethiopian airline seeks stopover in Dublin (http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/ethiopian-airline-seeks-stopover-in-dublin-1.1865148)

Sober Lark
14th Jul 2014, 17:43
Wouldn't one of Boeing's top customers love such a squabble?

Jamie2k9
25th Jul 2014, 23:42
Vueling have BCN-DUB on sale for selected dates in December, January and March.

Not sure if another carriers is needed when there is a minimum of 3 daily during winter and 4 daily during summer.

Skipness One Echo
26th Jul 2014, 18:41
Anyone know why today's AA92 sat remote parked for one hour and twenty minutes after landing a shade under three hours late. Is stand planning so rigid they couldn't use the available empty ones vacated by United and co? They could also have dropped off on the 300s and towed to T 2 later on less time. I eas very glad I was not on board!!

Jack1985
26th Jul 2014, 18:53
Technical fault delayed the outbound AA93, thus it was towed to the West Apron for maintenance before being tugged back onto stand, the inbound AA92 from Chicago arrived as scheduled - There's never been any issue with any long-haul aircraft having stand unavailability.

EI-A330-300
26th Jul 2014, 19:04
Jack

Think you may be mixed up it was a DL which was tech, AA was late.

Jack1985
26th Jul 2014, 19:12
Woops! Yep it was, had AA in my head checked aa.com there for flight 92 today instead of yesterday and showed it as on-time :O, still though can see why they parked remote, turned a B763 around in less than 1hour 10mins - Impressive.

Skipness One Echo
26th Jul 2014, 19:20
Nope, landed as AAL92 and held remote for over an hour, engines off. Saw it with my own two eyes. Landed 1051, got onto 404C at 1215, scheduled ETA 0800. Honest.
1335 so I suspect cabin cleaning was light :)

So if there's never been an issue with long haul stand availability, why were they initially advised their stand would be free in 40 mins? There was space to be used, but perhaps limited to B757 sized gates?

Jamie2k9
26th Jul 2014, 21:07
Anyone know why today's AA92 sat remote parked for one hour and twenty minutes after landing a shade under three hours late. Is stand planning so rigid they couldn't use the available empty ones vacated by United and co? They could also have dropped off on the 300s and towed to T 2 later on less time. I eas very glad I was not on board!!

Nope, landed as AAL92 and held remote for over an hour, engines off. Saw it with my own two eyes. Landed 1051, got onto 404C at 1215, scheduled ETA 0800. Honest.
1335 so I suspect cabin cleaning was light

So if there's never been an issue with long haul stand availability, why were they initially advised their stand would be free in 40 mins? There was space to be used, but perhaps limited to B757 sized gates?

Pier 4 (E) is under very heavy use until 1 pm daily. There is issues with stands at times however with increased US staff, minor stand changes and better scheduling of T/A flights have improved things a lot this season.

Only certain stands are used by T/A carriers downstairs (6) and then the few upstairs (3) when AA arrived this morning 5 downstairs were being used + delayed DL pax. The 40 minute ETA was right but EI's BOS flight left stand 18 minutes lather. As for the free stands it wouldn't of being given them because it was not a gate accessible for US passengers or it would of blocked two short haul stand. Then there is EI short haul in the mix which have to be given some priority.

As for dropping off at Pier 3, I'm not sure that was possible as it was very full at that time. 1 A310, 1 A330, 1 763, 2 A321, 1 320, 2 319 and possibly 1 B757 (could of being towed to remote by then)

AA ORD service usually causes the biggest issues as it either on time or hours late!

Skipness One Echo
26th Jul 2014, 23:36
Yeah it was possible :) Anyhoo thanks for the info, seems someone dropped the ball somewhere as that's an appaling customer experience at the end of an overnight long haul.

Do you know if the gates used by US Airways and UNITED B757s can't take the larger B763? That might have been the issue on wingspan. Both flights had gone and both gates were free. 405 and 406.

Jamie2k9
27th Jul 2014, 00:37
Do you know if the gates used by US Airways and UNITED B757s can't take the larger B763? That might have been the issue on wingspan. Both flights had gone and both gates were free. 405 and 406.

Gates 401-406 can all take widebody.

The US Airways flight departed form 404 which is stand 402C, following that departure stands 402L and 402R then in use so 402C was not available.

EI-A330-300
28th Jul 2014, 00:39
Both flights had gone and both gates were free. 405 and 406.

When AA landed it was the busiest time for L/H passengers and as they missed their slot so getting a stand straight away was unlikely however the stand where it was allocated there was a hydroponic leak and an aircraft was not towed to a remote stand for a number of hours.

I only recall such a long wait once or twice and that was when a T/A flight arrives 60 minutes ahead of time before any short haul departures took place.

seems someone dropped the ball somewhere as that's an appaling customer experience at the end of an overnight long haul.

If you fly the route with AA, it won't be a shock as AA92 manages an on time performance of just 40%!

Mlinnie
2nd Aug 2014, 10:53
American Airlines Adjusts International Winter Schedule :: American Airlines Newsroom (http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease/american-airlines-adjusts-international-winter-schedule)

MarkD
5th Aug 2014, 00:20
All, am scouting out a YYZ-ROI with a smallie (3.3yrs at departure) just after Christmas. Most obvious is the Dublin nonstops with AC and EI, but DUB is Rouge now and the rep on Rouge here is woeful. Am 6'2" myself so legroom can be an issue although willing to pay a premium if it is available. Is there anything that would push me towards AC as despite being a bit dearer and only being 4 weekly EI seems the better call? TIA.

Skipness One Echo
5th Aug 2014, 09:56
AC Rouge is summer only and it's on a par with Air Transat, if you want legacy Air Canada you'll need to book over Heathrow and the B777s are moving from 9 to 10 abreast down the back.

Aer Lingus isn't seasonal (yet) but DUB-YYZ in winter will be *quiet* on a good day IMHO.

EI-A330-300
5th Aug 2014, 10:57
SOE

AC Rouge announced year round service when it transferred to Rouge. Last I checked it was 3 weekly for winter.

As for Rouge V AC, DUB is the same old aircraft with new paint and crewed by staff on worse T&cs, so nothing has really changed.

Skipness One Echo
5th Aug 2014, 16:16
Lordy you're right, that's going to be a bloodbath! Canada in February is somewhat....niche.

EI-A330-300
6th Aug 2014, 01:13
Its hard to judge how it may work out however two carriers is a big ask considering for years nobody wanted it year round.

Aer Lingus have the better cost base/aircraft and feed to the route. They do cut to 3 weekly for most of Q1 2015 but Air Canads have lots of numbers on % of pax connecting at LHR so with that in mind they must think a year round service is viable however EI may not be part of the plan....

If it doesn't work for both WJ will have no problem making it work.

EI-A330-300
6th Aug 2014, 22:55
BA diverting a B777 (LHR-JFK) 18.05 departure, on a medical. Staying for the night.

EI-A330-300
7th Aug 2014, 15:35
Over 2.3 million passengers in July, up 6%. In pax terms its over 130k.

2014 to date, almost 12.3 million up 7%.

Latest News > Over 2.3 Million Passengers In July At Dublin Airport (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-08-07/Over_2_3_Million_Passengers_In_July_At_Dublin_Airport.aspx)

irish lad
27th Aug 2014, 10:08
United 747 approaching from Harrisburg. American football match bringing many extra flights?

Una Due Tfc
28th Aug 2014, 08:22
The most interesting visitors will be overflying Croke Park on Saturday.....

EI-A330-300
3rd Sep 2014, 09:44
TARON announce a second route to Lasi from 30 October operating once weekly.

EI-A330-300
4th Sep 2014, 23:10
Latest News > Almost 2.3 Million Passengers In August At Dublin Airport (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-09-04/Almost_2_3_Million_Passengers_In_August_At_Dublin_Airport.as px)

August passengers up 6% to just under 2.3 million. Year to date just under 14.8 million up 7% (900,000).

If numbers were to remain flat for next 4 months then numbers would be approx 21.1 million for the year but there is lots of growth planned numbers should reach somewhere around 21.5 million this year.

EI-A330-300
9th Sep 2014, 11:40
Finnair announce 6 weekly seasonal service to Helsinki from 30 March 2015. Norwegian only managed one season alone on the route. They currently offer a 2 weekly service. Operated by Flybe with E-190 and meets Asia connections.

http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/mediaen_7.html?Id=xml_1691916.html

j636
16th Sep 2014, 19:17
Civilians to staff immigration 24/7 at both terminals by December 2015 to allow 125 police do other work. E-gates are to operate outside of 9-5 hours also.

Civilians to staff immigration desks at airport - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0916/644052-immigration/)

EI-A330-300
18th Sep 2014, 21:07
The honeymoon could be over very soon.

Ryanair threatens legal action over charges - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2014/0918/644782-ryanair-threatens-legal-action-over-charges/)

Transport Minister told regulator to allow charges increase by 22% between 2015-2019 and FR taking legal action if its not withdrawn. Final ruling on charges not until next Month. Most other airlines want money spend on T1 to be developed.

MCDU2
19th Sep 2014, 10:10
"Most airlines". I think you can safely exclude AL, Emirates, Etihad and the US carriers. Quite possibly a minority of airlines using Dublin want money spent to upgrade their terminal but don't want to foot the bill. What's the FR success rate in the courts running at these days?

EI-A330-300
19th Sep 2014, 11:31
AA/US, BA, BE, DY (and L/H leg), TK, WX, LH, EY and LX.

Of course Aer Lingus don't want it as everybody has paid for their terminal.

Pier 3 flexibility is a big one which is not included and repeated calls by airlines for it.

vkid
19th Sep 2014, 12:26
Sorry but am I missing something here? Whats the point of having a regulator if a government minister, who is barely a wet week in office can overrule them anyway?

And 22% is quite a big jump to be fair. Kind of negates some of the benefits of getting rid of the travel tax imo. Its just going into the pockets of the DAA, rather than the revenue, and will be passed on to Joe Soap as usual

EI-A330-300
19th Sep 2014, 13:18
Vlid

The consumer wont benefit if they are cut. We have not benefitted from the travel tax cut. The last period saw a 40% increase so not as bad. Most likely out come will probably be a 10% to keep everybody happy.

You know we are footing the bill for SNN, that 100 million would go along way offsetting the increase.

vkid
19th Sep 2014, 14:23
Any answer on what the purpose of the regulator is if Pascal can come along and over rule them?

vkid
20th Sep 2014, 06:08
Seems others are asking the same question

Aer Lingus calls for end to political interference (http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-calls-for-end-to-political-interference-1.1935507)

EI-BUD
20th Sep 2014, 08:46
Mr Donohoe this week used his statutory powers to direct the Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) to ensure the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) has enough cash to implement Government policy when the regulator sets the cap on the company’s passenger charges for the 2014-2019 period this month.

Is this a massive sentence or what ... Had to think about this a bit ...

ayroplain
20th Sep 2014, 12:49
Is this a massive sentence or what ... Had to think about this a bit ...
On the face of it, yes. It, basically, says that the Regulator can :mad: off and the DAA can charge what they like for whatever they want to do. When did the Irish Government ever have an aviation policy? Is this written down somewhere that we can read?

Good to see FR and EI united on this one.

Una Due Tfc
20th Sep 2014, 15:51
The only government policy used to be " Protect Shannon at all costs", now I don't know what it is

confused atco
20th Sep 2014, 17:31
The only government policy used to be " Protect Shannon at all costs", now I don't know what it is

Dept. of Transport and Sport website

A NATIONAL AVIATION POLICY FOR IRELAND (http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/aviation/english/draft-national-aviation-policy/draft-aviation-policy.pdf)

Here is the new policy.

the strategic importance of Dublin Airport extends far beyond its geographic catchment area and its future is critically bound up with the Irish economy

Una Due Tfc
20th Sep 2014, 19:18
Thanks Confused.

That explains the infrastructure projects being spoken of

j636
20th Sep 2014, 19:40
Remember the lower charges go the worse off EI will be as FR will be able to cut costs even more and widen the gap while EI are always trying to drive up yield. EI have done well over the last few years while FR were kept at bay. They are feeling the pinch already especially this coming winter.

I know there is other reasons for EI doing well but their SH operation annually does not make major profit and with increased presence from FR it wont help as EI are on higher chargers as it is.

racedo
20th Sep 2014, 21:52
Remember the lower charges go the worse off EI will be as FR will be able to cut costs even more and widen the gap while EI are always trying to drive up yield. EI have done well over the last few years while FR were kept at bay. They are feeling the pinch already especially this coming winter.

I'm astounded by what I read........

Dublin is by far the largest Airport in EI's airports served therefore any reduction in charges will have a very substantial immediate benefit to their profitabily and bottom line, increase likewise will have a significant impact as they need to increase fares to cover.

If EI fly 3 million pax from Dublin and an increase of €5, it means they have to try and recover that from Pax, IF they can, if not they in the hole for €15 Million per year. That would be on 30% of their total passengers numbers. So cost €1.5 per passenger spread through all passengers.

IF FR fly 3 million from Dublin and can't increase fares, the same costs apply, however they can spread that €15 million over 84 Million passengers, or 3.5% of their total passengers. So cost €0.17 per passenger.

I doubt EI management seeing their costs go up 22% feel that they will be way better off because Ryanair don't get a benefit.

Heathrow Harry
21st Sep 2014, 09:18
The Minister is elected - the Regulator is appointed to carry out Govt policy - same in every country

racedo
21st Sep 2014, 12:26
The Minister is elected - the Regulator is appointed to carry out Govt policy - same in every country

Nope

The Minister is appointed and in actual fact he doesn't even need to be an elected member of Irish Parliment. He can be appointed by Irish Prime Minister to Irish Senate.

EI-BUD
21st Sep 2014, 12:41
If EI fly 3 million pax from Dublin and an increase of €5, it means they have to try and recover that from Pax, IF they can, if not they in the hole for €15 Million per year. That would be on 30% of their total passengers numbers. So cost €1.5 per passenger spread through all passengers.

Conversely, if FR slash services as a result of increased charges (not an option for EI), that would have an upside for EI in terms of competitive pressures.

Sounds like neither EI nor FR will have much clout here ...

racedo
21st Sep 2014, 13:36
Conversely, if FR slash services as a result of increased charges (not an option for EI), that would have an upside for EI in terms of competitive pressures.

Sounds like neither EI nor FR will have much clout here ...

and DAA would then claim we need to increase charges yet again as fewer passengers

GCUFD
22nd Sep 2014, 09:10
The Minister is appointed and in actual fact he doesn't even need to be an elected member of Irish Parliment. He can be appointed by Irish Prime Minister to Irish SenateI don't think this adequately explains the position; it's extremely rare for a Senator, let alone an appointed Senator, to serve as a Minister. And it's irrelevant in the current context.

The more apt observation is that aviation policy is set collectively by Government. In this instance, after many years of (as another poster said) protecting Shannon at all costs, policy is now promoting the longer-term development of Dublin in the context of the national economy. Even at that, the policy document is peppered with the superfluous addition of "and Shannon" to many statements that really only apply to Dublin.

But, at least, the objective of the policy is reasonably clear.

The Regulator seems to be just assessing the short-term commercial interests of EI and FR. This is a good political intervention, the kind that rarely happens.

ayroplain
22nd Sep 2014, 12:12
The Regulator seems to be just assessing the short-term commercial interests of EI and FR. This is a good political intervention, the kind that rarely happens.
I don't understand your logic. Abolition of airport duty = FR introduces more flights/pax, EI to a lesser extent. If the duty is replaced by punitive DAA charges then FR/EI = fewer flights/pax. FR will be seriously :mad: off having kept their side of the bargain. They should have known better than to trust any politicians and, in particular, the current lot who have reneged on more promises than the 10 previous administrations.

GCUFD
22nd Sep 2014, 14:11
Abolition of airport duty = FR introduces more flights/pax, EI to a lesser extent. If the duty is replaced by punitive DAA charges then FR/EI = fewer flights/paxIn fairness, wasn't the airport tax abolition about attracting passengers to all airports, not just Dublin. There's a balance to be found in any policy measure. But it certainly isn't contradictory to provide a general incentive, while allowing Dublin scope to increase charges, if necessary.

ayroplain
22nd Sep 2014, 16:28
But it certainly isn't contradictory to provide a general incentive, while allowing Dublin scope to increase charges, if necessary.
Even if you were to accept this point, you would need to be sure that the authority responsible for calculating the expenses and spending the money is competent so to do. The DAA does not inspire this sort of confidence. Without going into older history even their last great project T2 was flawed. Every aviation professional I have spoken to (that includes ATC, airline captains and ground staff) say that it was built in the wrong place - all crammed into a congested corner beside the main runway - and that this point was made before it was built. (not to mention that the best they could do for passengers was seats made of cold, hard steel)

Just a spotter
22nd Sep 2014, 16:43
Quote:
But it certainly isn't contradictory to provide a general incentive, while allowing Dublin scope to increase charges, if necessary.
Even if you were to accept this point, you would need to be sure that the authority responsible for calculating the expenses and spending the money is competent so to do. The DAA does not inspire this sort of confidence. Without going into older history even their last great project T2 was flawed. Every aviation professional I have spoken to (that includes ATC, airline captains and ground staff) say that it was built in the wrong place - all crammed into a congested corner beside the main runway - and that this point was made before it was built. (not to mention that the best they could do for passengers was seats made of cold, hard steel)

All of which reminds me of a comment someone once made; Dublin Airport, it's just a shopping centre with air links.

That said, WRT T2, the location choices were somewhat limited. The horseshoe of existing buildings including the protected structure of the orginal/Central Terminal meant it had to either go there, or beside Hangar 6 to usilise the existing road infrastrcture. Faling that, it was on the otherside of the airfield.

JAS

GCUFD
23rd Sep 2014, 12:08
Even if you were to accept this point, you would need to be sure that the authority responsible for calculating the expenses and spending the money is competent so to doThat's always the case. To be fair, up to recent years, the policy environment aimed to obstruct the development of Dublin Airport. It can be hard to disentangle what is down to the management, and what is down to that policy environment.

I suspect the future will be quite different. But I do agree, DAA will have to demonstrate delivery.

EI-A330-300
25th Sep 2014, 08:20
FR have backed down on the legal threat.

Dontgothere
30th Sep 2014, 15:32
Right, per this article, WOW air will start flying DUB - KEF 3x weekly year round.

WOW bćtir viđ áfangastöđum - mbl.is (http://www.mbl.is/vidskipti/frettir/2014/09/30/wow_baetir_vid_afangastodum/)

EI-A330-300
4th Oct 2014, 22:09
As expected WJ confirmed increase 2015 schedule when they launched GLA>

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=922

WestJet will also resume its highly successful service between St. John's, Newfoundland, and Dublin, Ireland, on May 1, 2015, six weeks earlier than in 2014.

scodaman
7th Oct 2014, 09:35
Incident at Dublin earlier this morning.

2 x Ryanair 737 clipped a tail and wing with each other.

Investigation at Dublin Airport after two planes clip each other on runway (http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-airport-planes-runway-1710016-Oct2014/)

All names taken
7th Oct 2014, 09:55
''Two planes clip each other on the runway''

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhh......it's the apron not the runway. How thick are journos?

If two planes did clip each other on the actual runway it could be potentially catastrophic.

Other examples ''passengers stranded on runway'', ''fuel spilled on runway'' and on and on........

Apron people APRON :ugh:

EI-A330-300
7th Oct 2014, 14:29
CAR have given the go ahead to a 19% cut in charges. Not sure we have heard the end of this.....

4.2% cut per annum between 2015-19.

EI-A330-300
8th Oct 2014, 15:21
September traffic up 8% with over 2 million passengers. Over 16.6 million year to date up 7%. Should reach 21.4 million at least for 2014.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-10-08/Passenger_Numbers_Up_8_In_September.aspx

BCA03
10th Oct 2014, 20:09
Check the following link. I guess an official announcement will be made soon.

Ethiopian Airlines to Start Flights to Dublin and Los Angeles | Ethiosports (http://www.ethiosports.com/2014/10/10/ethiopian-airlines-to-start-flights-to-dublin-and-los-angeles/)

Una Due Tfc
10th Oct 2014, 20:34
DUB's first scheduled 787 service, at least the spotters will be happy.

Cian
10th Oct 2014, 22:42
They are a dry airline though

Nowhere close:

Ethiopian | Food & Beverages (http://www.flyethiopian.com/en/travel/inflight/foodandbeverages.aspx)

Free booze in Y compared to €€ on EI.

I've seen people say that a few times and I've no idea where they're getting the idea from. Ethiopia is majority Christian not Muslim and in this day and age, even the modernised airlines from Muslim countries aren't dry.

Una Due Tfc
11th Oct 2014, 09:45
Thanks Cian. Previous comment edited. Is it due to stop here on the way back? Or will it be only stopping over westbound? I wonder if it'll effect EI's (excellent) SFO loads much

EI-A330-300
11th Oct 2014, 09:55
Stopping both ways for 2h. Feeding there hub is a priority and it indicates a 7.30 am departure to LAX and 20.30 departure to Africa. This equals a 1am departure from LAX so may bot be suitable for many people and 11pm from Africa. This times were suggested on another forum and feed there hub.

It would slot in well for USPC if the 07.30 happens.

Cyrano
11th Oct 2014, 10:08
Stopping both ways for 2h. Feeding there hub is a priority and it indicates a 7.30 am departure to LAX and 20.30 departure to Africa. This equals a 1am departure from LAX so may bot be suitable for many people and 11pm from Africa. This times were suggested on another forum and feed there hub.

It would slot in well for USPC if the 07.30 happens.

What time does USPC open in the morning?

EI-A330-300
11th Oct 2014, 10:38
7am, first flight at 08.55 (08.40) in 2015 so opening an hour earlier would be needed for ET which I don't see a major issue with. Then again if ET arrived at 06.30 and left at 08.30 it would probably suit stand planners much better and wouldn't require changes to USPC hours while it wouldn't effect there hub feed just an hour less (5h layover) in LAX .

Guess we will find out next week hopefully.

ayroplain
12th Oct 2014, 13:42
Fascinating read here. IALPA's views on DAA's airfield (mis)management and future plans to close 16/34. "RED LINE: IALPA will vehemently oppose the closure of the cross runway 16/34 at Dublin"

http://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/2014ddresponses/2014-07-31%20IALPA.pdf

Cyrano
12th Oct 2014, 13:46
7am, first flight at 08.55 (08.40) in 2015 so opening an hour earlier would be needed for ET which I don't see a major issue with. Then again if ET arrived at 06.30 and left at 08.30 it would probably suit stand planners much better and wouldn't require changes to USPC hours while it wouldn't effect there hub feed just an hour less (5h layover) in LAX .

Guess we will find out next week hopefully.

Let's see, but I've just this morning read this week's Travel Extra (http://travelextra.info/) which says Ethiopian will likely not use the US CBP in Dublin, in the early stages of the route at least, because it would delay turnaround.

Fairdealfrank
12th Oct 2014, 16:01
Thanks Cian. Previous comment edited. Is it due to stop here on the way back? Or will it be only stopping over westbound? I wonder if it'll effect EI's (excellent) SFO loads much
Would have to both ways for a for crew change!

Una Due Tfc
12th Oct 2014, 16:04
Not quite. Crews could easily do ADDIS-DUB-LAX-ADDIS Plenty of airlines send the crew only eastbound or westbound (or over the pole) to get home, e.g. ANZ1/2 via LHR to LAX, and I think the eastbound flight goes to Hong Kong?

LAX_LHR
12th Oct 2014, 20:41
Bit of re-adjusting for American Airlines at DUB for Summer 2015.

CLT upgrades to A330-200. PHL remains A330-200 and ORD remains seasonal B767-300.

JFK is dropped.

Hangar6
12th Oct 2014, 20:53
Possibly AA responding to EI going 3x daily? To JFK

Dontgothere
12th Oct 2014, 21:30
Per this website, Delta is upgrading the Atlanta route to A332 in 2015.

All airlines flying from Dublin to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta. (http://info.flightmapper.net/route/YY_DUB_ATL)

EI-A330-300
12th Oct 2014, 21:33
AA JFK is still bookable ?

EISNN
12th Oct 2014, 22:37
@HANGAR 6 DUB JFK 3 times daily? Nothing in the booking engine. Any word on departure/arrival times etc.

Fairdealfrank
13th Oct 2014, 23:58
Not quite. Crews could easily do ADDIS-DUB-LAX-ADDIS Plenty of airlines send the crew only eastbound or westbound (or over the pole) to get home, e.g. ANZ1/2 via LHR to LAX, and I think the eastbound flight goes to Hong Kong?
Definitely not convinced.

Very approx timings: ADD-DUB about 9 hours, DUB-LAX about 12, LAX-DUB about 11 and DUB-ADD about 8, 2 hours on the ground at DUB in each direction.

So, two crews needed each way with a crew change at DUB.

NZ is LHR-LAX-AKL and vice versa, also needs 2 crews withn a change at LAX. LHR-HKG-AKL and v.v. is now scrapped.

Una Due Tfc
14th Oct 2014, 07:15
Okay, look at it another way. All services I'm aware of between UK/IRL and US west coast have 3 flight deck crew (some might even have 4). Again in all cases I'm aware of, flight crew spend at least 2 nights on in SFO/LAX etc to recover. In these cases there are 2 crews in the same hotel, the one that just arrived, and the one that arrived yesterday. Not all these services are daily so sometimes they get more than the 2 nights depending on schedule.

If Ethiopian thought they would make more money by only stopping in DUB westbound, you can be sure they wouldn't have a problem leaving a crew for an extra night or 2 in Dublin, or swap them with one in LHR. But seeing as they are stopping both ways, it's irrelevant

Cyrano
14th Oct 2014, 15:00
Definitely not convinced.

Very approx timings: ADD-DUB about 9 hours, DUB-LAX about 12, LAX-DUB about 11 and DUB-ADD about 8, 2 hours on the ground at DUB in each direction.

So, two crews needed each way with a crew change at DUB.

NZ is LHR-LAX-AKL and vice versa, also needs 2 crews withn a change at LAX. LHR-HKG-AKL and v.v. is now scrapped.

I don't think the OP is suggesting that the same crew will fly ADD-DUB-LAX-ADD, merely that the aircraft doesn't have to stop in DUB both ways for crewing reasons. (I recognise that it is stopping both ways, so the point is academic.)
Monday:
Crew 1: ADD-DUB
Crew 2: DUB-LAX
Crew 3: LAX-ADD
Wednesday:
Crew 4: ADD-DUB
Crew 1: DUB-LAX
Crew 2: LAX-ADD
Friday:
Crew 2 or 3 (or other): ADD-DUB
Crew 4: DUB-LAX
Crew 1: LAX-ADD
and so on.

Una Due Tfc
14th Oct 2014, 17:27
Precisely! Far more clearly put than I managed Cyrano, thank you.

Fairdealfrank
14th Oct 2014, 22:39
I don't think the OP is suggesting that the same crew will fly ADD-DUB-LAX-ADD, merely that the aircraft doesn't have to stop in DUB both ways for crewing reasons. (I recognise that it is stopping both ways, so the point is academic.)
Monday:
Crew 1: ADD-DUB
Crew 2: DUB-LAX
Crew 3: LAX-ADD
Wednesday:
Crew 4: ADD-DUB
Crew 1: DUB-LAX
Crew 2: LAX-ADD
Friday:
Crew 2 or 3 (or other): ADD-DUB
Crew 4: DUB-LAX
Crew 1: LAX-ADD
and so on.
Apparently ET have fifth freedom rights DUB-LAX and v.v. so eastbound is would have to be LAX-DUB-ADD, not LAX-ADD, otherwise there would be no point.

Maybe the B787 can do it in one go, maybe there could be 2 pairs of pilots on board (one working, one resting), but cabin crew members cannot be expected to do an 18 hour shift.

So crews would be "slipped" as described above on the westbound but also on the eastbound, meaning a crew change in DUB in both directions.

It would be similar to LHR-SIN-SYD/SYD-SIN-LHR on BA or AKL-LAX-LHR/LHR-LAX-AKL on NZ, or the former AI BOM-LHR-JFK/JFK-LHR-BOM.

If the service is not daily, as in the above mentioned examples, then the cres are going to enjoy longer layovers, 2 in DUB and 1 in LAX and be away from home for over a week.

Pleasant cities for layovers, could be lucrative in allowances, reckon many crews will like this gig.

BCA03
15th Oct 2014, 19:04
From someone in the know, can I just confirm, it will be a single crew operating to Dublin from Addis with a dead head crew, who will then be taken over by a new set of crew including 4 pilots operating Dublin - Lax. That crew will have 2/3 day layover in Lax, then will operate back to Dublin. Have another 2/3 day layover in Dublin then one set of crew will operate back to Addis whilst other crew members dead head back to addis. Let me clarify once again, fifth freedom has been granted and Ethiopua will be stopping in a Dublin both ways. Initially the machine will be 787 but depending on loads will be switched to B777 from time to time..

Fairdealfrank
15th Oct 2014, 19:57
From someone in the know, can I just confirm, it will be a single crew operating to Dublin from Addis with a dead head crew, who will then be taken over by a new set of crew including 4 pilots operating Dublin - Lax. That crew will have 2/3 day layover in Lax, then will operate back to Dublin. Have another 2/3 day layover in Dublin then one set of crew will operate back to Addis whilst other crew members dead head back to addis. Let me clarify once again, fifth freedom has been granted and Ethiopua will be stopping in a Dublin both ways. Initially the machine will be 787 but depending on loads will be switched to B777 from time to time..
Indeed, will be good for allowances.

EI-A330-300
15th Oct 2014, 22:24
Speculation Air China are ready to announce a 3 weekly direct service to Beijing beginning next year operated by A330.

EI-A330-300
16th Oct 2014, 10:03
Lufthansa increase MUC to daily next summer. Usually operated at 3/4/5 weekly depending on the month.

Germanwings also replace CRJs with A319 on 3 of 4 weekly DUS flights.

Luxair also increase flights from 4 to 6 weekly next summer.

stab3.5up
16th Oct 2014, 10:23
All very positive news and very welcome for the economy

EI-A330-300
16th Oct 2014, 17:00
ET schedule includes a 1 h layover in DUB according to a post on:

Irish 10/14: The Final Quarter — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6195453/#63)

ET504 ADD 2300 – 0530+1 DUB 0630+1 – 0930+1 LAX 788 357
ET505 LAX 2330 – 1830+1 DUB 1930+1 – 0600+2 ADD 788 146

So no US clearance for now and check in area will be cleared as it couldn't take any more if it was departing much lather.

irish lad
16th Oct 2014, 19:10
Does anyone know why there'd have such a long lay over at Lax?

Noxegon
16th Oct 2014, 19:35
I really like those flight times – it allows a full day in LA on both the outbound and return flights. I'll certainly take that over the SFO run on EI...

...as for the layover, I'm guessing they are designed to sync with connections at ADD.

EI-BUD
16th Oct 2014, 21:09
Great utilisation of the terminal , in early in the morning and gone before the peak wave of long haul arrivals ... Good timings , hopefully it works out well . Even though EI will compete for the California traffic, perhaps an opportunity for EI to code share and enable EU to LA via Dub and Ethopia to various US cities via DUB?

VanBosh
17th Oct 2014, 14:54
In my opinion people who want to fly to LAX won't see SFO as an alternative in many cases. If EI can't offer LAX for UK/European pax, then why not codeshare with ET and capture an extra market on the SH side. Same goes for addis

Skipness One Echo
17th Oct 2014, 18:16
Given ADD-DUB is a tiny market and the while point of this is to link ADD-LAX, the only way it's gonna make money is for the ADD through traffic to be high and the DUB-LAX joining to be as small as possible.

Ethiopian Airlines should be a puddle in an Ireland-US sea, if they're selling cheap p2p in that DUB-LAX sector, they've got their sums wrong. Aer Lingus should not quite be rendering the garments just yet.

stab3.5up
17th Oct 2014, 19:50
DUB ADD may be small market, the onwards may be the market. The Irish diaspora runs deep through east and south Africa so I think the market may indeed just be there and Ireland has a very viberant African community. ET may just be on a winner

EI-A330-300
19th Oct 2014, 09:16
BA Cityflyer to operate a weekly Mahon service between 30 May - 26 September with E-190. Being a few years since the route last operated.

EI-A330-300
23rd Oct 2014, 19:49
Ryanair have said today they expect DUB 2014 total traffic to grow from over 20.1 to over 21.8 million passengers for the year.

From Sunday winter scheduled capacity increases by 950,000 seats up 10%.

stab3.5up
23rd Oct 2014, 20:31
I suspect the MAH may be a deal with a tour operator but still good to see

EI-A330-300
4th Nov 2014, 09:28
SK add twice weekly Gothenburg from April increasing to three weekly during peak season.

SAS launches nine new routes 2015 | SAS (http://www.sasgroup.net/en/sas-launches-nine-new-routes-2015/)

EI-A330-300
4th Nov 2014, 10:33
Vueling confirms BCN from March 2015 but first flights begin next month.

April, May - 4 weekly
June, July, September, October - 5 weekly
August - 6 weekly

EI-A330-300
10th Nov 2014, 21:34
Almost 2 million passengers in October up 10% (180k), year to date 18.6% million up 7%.

Latest News > Passenger Numbers Up 10% In October (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-11-10/Passenger_Numbers_Up_10_In_October.aspx)

akerosid
11th Nov 2014, 16:46
Rumours going around on A.net (from apparently good source) of new long haul operator to DUB, announcement apparently imminent.

Anyone heard anything more?

Una Due Tfc
11th Nov 2014, 16:53
Well seeing as it's a rumour network, I'd guess Qatar or a Chinese carrier

Paul_from_Dublin
11th Nov 2014, 17:02
Okay if it's rumour mongering you want, wasn't there a whisper a while ago about Norwegian to Bangkok?

EI-A330-300
11th Nov 2014, 21:52
imminent

If imminent means 3 or 4 wees then I might have an idea and it would be a big win for DUB.

As for Qatar, it is only a matter of time and they have discussed such a route and a Winter 14/15 start was the most recent estimate pending aircraft delivers etc so I guess summer 2015 would be possibly.

EK second daily has being poor until the winter schedule began but I still believe its not doing massively well. An ATR42 would of matched passenger numbers at times.

Khuitlio
11th Nov 2014, 23:12
If you don't mind me asking, what do you think it could be in 3 or 4 weeks, and why?

Sober Lark
12th Nov 2014, 08:38
EK second daily has being poor

That doesn't tally with passenger figures linked in your post #2940 showing a +31% increase to 57,000 passengers to Middle East and North Africa.

Cozy F
12th Nov 2014, 09:11
Well I'm no einstein but Etihad have upped capacity by 40% since last year and Emirates by 100%, so on that basis 31% increase in uptake doesn't look too clever to me..

stab3.5up
12th Nov 2014, 09:51
Heard rumblings that secondflight may stop being direct to boost figures. My money is on Norwegian as they have to do a DUB flight I thought to keep the us govt happy

Sober Lark
12th Nov 2014, 10:01
How many seats a week on EK and EY? If EI-A330-300's idea about an ATR is correct then the idea about Qatar seems far fetched.

Cozy F, the DAA press release combines passenger numbers to/from Middle East with North Africa. I assume this is to protect commercially sensitive information on the Middle East route. We don't know how many of those 57,000 are using EY and EK.

Still no dedicated business / first class lounge for EK. You'd have thought they'd have had one by now.

EI-A330-300
12th Nov 2014, 11:44
Sobar Lark

Loads have being as low atr42 capacity. Before the winter schedule it operated mores less as point to point. It has improved but believe its not as good for connections still. It was always going to a hard job to fill a second daily flight in the first place. Im sure such numbers are not common but its not doing well either.

Cargo could be good on the route though.

As for Qatar, they are not going to care if EK cant fill their aircraft. I think its unlikely but it will happen in future.

Stab3.5up

They don't have to but I expect it will help if they did.