PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet - 4

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

davidjohnson6
25th Jul 2014, 21:58
eye2eye - if you wish to talk politics, you will likely get a better discussion on Jetblast rather than the Easyjet thread

fjencl
26th Jul 2014, 09:51
Will there ever be any expansion at NCL with new routes...?????

OntimeexceptACARS
26th Jul 2014, 21:17
Fjencl : ditto Glasgow. Only tweaking lately.

FRatSTN
26th Jul 2014, 22:35
This is EasyJet we are talking about and it's not Gatwick, Luton or Bristol... So probably not

EK77WNCL
27th Jul 2014, 00:51
Shame considering what EZY used to be at NCL, dunno about the rest of the airports, but I'm sure there was almost 7 (or maybe more than 7) 737's based at NCL around 2008-ish

racedo
23rd Aug 2014, 11:31
Friends travellng Easyjet from LGW on an early morning flight in 10 days tiime, they staying close to airport the night before and asked whether Easyjet still have a checked luggage drop the night before.
Know they had in past but not sure now and website unable to find.
Anybody know ?

Thanks

fa2fi
23rd Aug 2014, 12:14
The twilight check in is still available at gatwick from 20:00 onwards for all flights departing before 08:30 e following day. Day Before Check in - Gatwick Airport (http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/check-in/day-before-check-in/)

Autooutlook
13th Sep 2014, 18:48
Has anyone been reading the financial press regarding the investment fund Eia hoovering up easyjet shares or does anyone at easyjet know anything ?

gorter
14th Sep 2014, 10:19
Unless they're squaking 7700 whilst they're doing it no one seems to be interested anymore.

I have to admit dabbling in investing I tracked easy for a while but backed off when their shares went south in march but they seem to be slowly rising again.

FRatSTN
14th Sep 2014, 11:04
Has anybody else yet to see that monstrosity of a TV ad EasyJet launched yesterday??

To me it doesn't convey the right message at all!

The ad is based on business passengers running around the airport but focusses on an EasyJet traveller (who is the white rabbit) all calm and relaxed as their flight is on time.

Now I don't want to sound daft but:

a) When was the last time you ran round an airport bumping into people because your flight was delayed??? (The only reason why people do that is because they, as in the passenger, is late!?)

b) Why is it focussing on the white rabbit EasyJet traveller with the Disney song "I'm late" from Alice and Wonderland playing (which is probably not the best choice of song or character for an ad aimed at business passengers) when the message of the advert is supposed to be completely the opposite??

To top it off it also highlights EasyJet being more punctual than BA, which isn't really setting the bar very high.

Really poor piece of advertising from EasyJet. What were they thinking??

What does everyone else think of it??

That?s business sense ? TV Advert - YouTube (http://youtu.be/pDXx5JYWeDY)

fa2fi
14th Sep 2014, 12:16
When was the last time you saw a rabbit boarding a plane either?

Ads don't need to make sense. They need to grab your attention, and get the message to the viewer, which this one does.

Look at the Dairy Milk ads, they made no sense whatsoever, but I bet they worked.

Cozy F
14th Sep 2014, 13:27
Agreed. The fact that it is being talked about means they've hit the spot. The white rabbit is no different from the Smash aliens or more contemporary meerkats.

'FRatSTN' - I'm sure you have witnessed the pursuit of publicity by whatever means, no matter how ludicrous, over the years! ;)

Mr A Tis
14th Sep 2014, 17:19
Good grief - they paid for that? Cue another focus group meeting......

FRatSTN
14th Sep 2014, 17:33
But the point I'm making is that the message doesn't come across. It conveys the opposite message to which they are trying to make. My family (who has virtually no knowledge in aviation) saw it first and thought exactly the same.

racedo
14th Sep 2014, 19:25
Think FRatSTN has got the point......

Getting an ad to make a message is the key thing that the company spend their money on, it can be in a variety of ways either by being serious or being funny.

This one fails in at attempt at humour and fails in being serious.

If I was person who paying the bill for this the first question I would ask is
"Is that what I am spending £2-3 million on TV on"

Skipness One Echo
14th Sep 2014, 20:59
It's the Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland, surely you get that. "I'm late, I'm late....." I know the guys who did this. I'll have a chat.

EI-BUD
14th Sep 2014, 21:17
Interestingly, the add as per usual protocol comparisons are with BA. That's a fair approach for LGW operations, but on a serious not, with FR at more primary airports, and with good track records with regard to punctuality and price, are easyJet shying away from the elephant in the room?

I'm certainly an easyJet fan, but FR are moving fast and with so many new Boeings in the pipeline, these 2 are going to end up infringing on each other patch more than ever. Enter FR's foray into UK domestics and onto 2 of easyJet's leading STN routes....

Skipness One Echo
14th Sep 2014, 23:20
FR operated against EZY to Glasgow albeit from PIK for well over a decade, there is room for both.

easyflyer83
15th Sep 2014, 06:00
Easyjet sees the legacies as it competition more than FR. Plus, they have been going after the business traveller for quite a while now (the aim of the ad) and generally speaking who does the business traveller fly with? BA or Ryanair?

RAT 5
15th Sep 2014, 08:23
Do you have knowledge/opinion why they went up 60% so fast and then retreated 30% equally quickly?

FRatSTN
15th Sep 2014, 10:43
That's the bit that worries me. EZY don't seem to recognise the competition from FR as much as they should.

Despite what they say, they don't really compete with legacy carriers, they just target their passengers. There's a difference.

As businesses, the legacies are stagnant, inefficient and often loss making in short-haul operations. Why on Earth would EZY compete with that?

They almost don't seem to recognise the real threats, the real competition from the likes of FR, W6 or DY who like EZY have lower cost models than the legacies who can compete more on price and are able to open up more routes in competition with EZY.

They seem to just say they are better than FR because they use primary airports!? If you look at FR, they just slag off the legacy carriers because they recognise that they are of virtually no threat to them. They see EZY as their competition because they are the biggest threat to their business model which is primarily based upon low costs, speed and efficiency.

Personally I think EZY have over emphasised on the business traveller almost to the point where it seems to be cannibalising new products, services and overall growth for leisure passengers. Contradictory to FR who through their business plus and family extra products, are evidently trying to lure both from their competition.

But EZY need to get their act together if they don't see FR as their biggest and most threatening competitor. And crappy TV adverts that don't even really make sense or even that much relation to a business product is certainly not going to help!

EI-BUD
15th Sep 2014, 11:55
FR operated against EZY to Glasgow albeit from PIK for well over a decade,
there is room for both.

Yes this is true Skipness, but my point is more that easyJet makes a comparison with BA while increasingly they are competing with FR in between the same airport pairs. easyJet could in the past have avoiding comparison with FR ex PIK but now it same airports.

At a point in time there were up to 8 rotations on PIK STN by 73S's.. but that was a long time ago, and so much has changed in that time...

While there may be room for both, it is clear that easyJet are moving their STN services away increasingly. ALC has moved to SEN as have others. They are increasingly leaving STN to be the routes where FR will not enter, such as CPH Bilbao etc. So yes there is plenty of room, but easyjet may not like the yield environment up against FR.... we shall see...

Skipness One Echo
15th Sep 2014, 12:28
Despite what they say, they don't really compete with legacy carriers, they just target their passengers. There's a difference.
They really, really do compete with legacy carriers, they took an enormous amount of passengers from exisiting legacy carriers who felt they were being ripped off by BA. At LGW, people stay with BA for Avios and complain about the complete lack of onboard service. Unless a lounge is an absolute for you, a huge amount of the exisiting market uses EZY over BA when spending it's own money, which allows EZY to run a frequent schedule to be attractive to business. What you mean is they don't do connections, however given P2P is a huge part of legacy business and EZY are taking it from them, that's clearly competing.
Your analysis mixed apples with pears.
As businesses, the legacies are stagnant,
Or in terms of KLM and say BA, the short haul operation supports the more profitable long haul, they're co dependent and in good years, the profits roll in. Aviaiton is notoriously loss making btw. When you say stagnant, that does rather ignore the aggresive cost cutting measures BA have taken to put their cabin crew costs into line as near as possible with the market rate. A network carrier will always have big overheads, but they're slightly different business models.
In terms of market placement, Ryanair are still going to be positioning themselves as cheaper than EZY, but moving away from the growth spurt as an ULCC. The business models are moving closer and the overlap will increase but there's still going to be a distincitive place in the market for both. I think this discussion is a little focussed on STN which in terms of EZY alone is the loser out of a LGW/LTN/STN/SEN sandwich.

FRatSTN
15th Sep 2014, 16:51
What you mean is they don't do connectionsNo, that isn't really what I mean.

What I mean is that EasyJet is not competing with legacy carriers in terms of the business model. When EasyJet first revealed services like the FLEXI fare and allocated seating, it's not changing their model to compete with legacy carriers.

If rolling out those services effected their low-cost model (eg. allocated seating slowed down turnaround times) they would simply not do it. It simply just gives them some extra added value.

EasyJet use this model the give them a cost advantage to then go in and penetrate the markets the legacies operate in (eg. BA at LGW, AF in CDG, KL in AMS) and gain market share through lower costs and lower fares. They don't need to operate connecting flights because as you say, they are able to do it with just P2P passengers and again operating connections would effect (negatively) their low-cost model.

Despite also what they say, they are not the best at opening up markets because as I say, they penetrate markets already well established. This reflects their claim that 75% of their new aircraft deliveries will be used on exiting routes and only 25% for new routes (it isn't made clear if they are exclusively "new" routes or just linking up more of the dots in their current network).

The real competition to EZY is as I say airlines like FR, W6 and DY as they are the ones who operate with similar business models to EZY in the sense that it's based on low costs, speed and efficiency.

FR competes with EZY but not just for passengers and market share, but also in the way that the business works and how it's structured, which is fundamental.

All I'm saying is I think EZY need to recognise that sooner rather than later. At the end of the day, you compete with who poses the most threat to you, and for EZY I don't believe that is the legacy carriers.

EI-BUD
16th Sep 2014, 00:02
rolling out those services effected their low-cost model (eg. allocated seating slowed down turnaround times) they would simply not do it. It simply just gives them some extra added value.

I don't think there is any evidence to support the statement that allocate seating slowed turn. It was introduced alongside an ongoing focus on turn times, and improvements have been made on the turn such as removal of head count on board.

Ref who the competition are; Carolyn has said clearly that Norwegian , Ryanair, Vueling all have lower costs than ezy. No secret. Hence, going after the legacy business and rowing in with slightly lower fares than legacy carriers is a lucrative strategy . My original point was that they compare with the legacies in adverts etc but progressively it is FR they worried about ...

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Sep 2014, 01:59
When the overcapacity tsunami hits the EU airline market in the near future EZY has an extremely well designed shelter on high ground. Rabbits in adverts won't come into it.

FRatSTN
16th Sep 2014, 08:59
I don't think there is any evidence to support the statement that allocate seating slowed turn.
EI-BUD, Please read my post carefully. I never said it did.

I said, as an example McCall has used when talking about this, that IF allocated seating slowed turnaround times then they wouldn't be doing it because it would harm the low-cost model.

The fact that they ran the trial and successfully do use allocated seating means that as you say, it hasn't had any significant impact on turnaround times.

pwalhx
16th Sep 2014, 09:45
I travel on business regularly and know a lot of people who do the same. I can state quite categorically that as a business traveller I do compare Easyjet with the legacy carriers and along with many others have moved from the legacies to Easyjet for many flights.

I can also say from the evidence of my conversation with other business travellers they do not perceive Ryanair in the same manner.

Whilst I accept the above is not scientific I personally believe that Easyjet's comparison of themselves in the advert to British Airways is exactly the correct course of action.

Also I actually find the advert quite amusing.

businessair75
16th Sep 2014, 11:21
I travel for work on a reasonably frequent basis using several different carriers. I avoid Ryanair wherever possible but I genuinely enjoy the easyjet product. By no means is it perfect but I believe they have a product that competes favourably with many legacy carriers. Ok, you might not get your free scotch but the service is pretty good and their crews are, on the most part, genuinely very friendly.

Anecdotally, there seems to be a lot of surprise at how good Easyjet are when I've come across first timer flyers of the airline, you never really get that at Ryanair......not always complaints but a hell of a lot of indifference. Amongst a lot of business travellers, my colleagues particularly, there does seem to be a certain affection of easy if not a degree of loyalty. That's pretty hard to achieve in this business and in todays climate.

I compare Easy to BA and Lufty. I can't say the same for Ryanair.

Mr A Tis
16th Sep 2014, 16:22
You might compare EZY to BA ex LGW with 40+ aircraft based there. However, up North at MAN, at best you have one flight a day up against multiple daily departures by LH, LX. KL & AF.
The vast majority of the pax using the legacies ex MAN are interlining. I still view EZY up north as a bucket & spade operator & their competition here is Jet2, Ryanair & Monarch.
Maybe one day, one of the major locos would offer interlining ? Something that SouthWest has done very successfully in the USA.
As for the pesky wabbit.....more pointless than timeless.:zzz:

FRatSTN
17th Sep 2014, 12:39
This is starting to go a little off topic now but I just want to clarify this:

This is not just about comparing EasyJet to Legacy carriers based on the level of service they provide. On that basis yes you may be inclined to compare them to legacy carriers, but others will not. Personally I don't rank them much if any higher than FR for the overall service, but that's just a difference of opinion.

This is about EasyJet as a business, the strategy and business model that they adopt. On that basis you can't compare them to legacy carriers, because the way in which the company works is completely different. They don't compete to be more like BA. That is fact!

Now that's not to say EZY cannot compete for BA's passengers and undoubtedly they do that well (evidently by some of the posts on here). The reason why they do that well is because they come across to passengers more like a full-service airline but differentiate themselves through their low-cost business model (which is an internal factor, meaning the typical passenger doesn't see that).

You may be thinking, well what's wrong with that? But the issue is that EZY doesn't operate a completely unique business model therefore it competes with those who also follow that model (which again is based mainly on low costs, speed and efficiency). Now when you look at it like that, FR, W6, DY, VY etc. are the clear competition there. BA, AF, LH much less so.

Notice that you see BA for example upping their game by having to cut costs, when quite contrastingly FR are having to up theirs by improving the service. That means BA having to adapt their model and make cuts within the company (such as having to cut cabin crew costs as SOE points out). FR for example doesn't need to make such drastic internal changes, only building upon the model they have in order to compete more strongly with EZY's product. The result of that is that FR comes across of more of a threat to EZY in the future, hence why I think it's a little worrying that EZY still see legacy carriers as their biggest competition.

Evanelpus
17th Sep 2014, 12:54
Anyone here from Easyjet?

When will they post their 2015 summer timetable and prices on the website?

Many thanks:)

toledoashley
17th Sep 2014, 13:28
I fear easyJet could be easily wrong footed by Ryanair, who seem now to be on the right track. Ryanair have been talking up 500+ aircraft in 10 years (with easyJet in the 300's), new business/family options, allocated seating and network changes to be more 'business friendly' are all encroaching on the EZY advantage.

Regarding legacy short haul, both AF/KL and LH are launching lower cost offshoots, and it should be more of a level playing field. FR with a lower cost base, competing on the same (or if not similar routes), with more aircraft could possibly stifle both markets.

fa2fi
17th Sep 2014, 13:32
Yeah and FR have been talking about transatlantic for at least ten year. What is said, and what is reality are often at odds.

They park planes up all over as it is in winter, where are going to park the extra 200 and where are they going to fly more importantly?

F Castro: the hat I believe was a trial by a handful of crew in one base about six months or so ago. As far as I was concerned the trial finished and nothing was heard about the hats. But I spotted a picture of one taken by a passenger last month, so I am really unsure. They look a bit silly.

toledoashley
17th Sep 2014, 13:41
FR are trying to break into mainline airports - just look at the schedules for STN to Barcelona, Madrid, Rome - they are all multiple per day, and will increase utilisation in the winter, rather than flying to marginal destinations on yield through the off season (French regional routes/summer holiday destinations for example).

easyflyer83
17th Sep 2014, 17:28
Without wanting to appear tribal, I wouldn't treat the number of aircraft FR has on order necessarily as an advantage. Given the overcapacity in the European market (and I don't think we have seen the peak of that yet) having an endless stream of new aircraft could well be a big headache for Ryanair.

The proof will always be in the financial performance of the carriers. Easyjet are currently doing particularly well and have had a stellar performance in recent years. Ryanair may well be adopting the highly successful Easyjet strategy but they are doing so 3 years later and simultaneously have to improve their image. That won't be easy. (No pun intended)

FRatSTN
17th Sep 2014, 18:55
Do remember what overcapacity is though. Simply it's where the supply exceeds the demand. But who knows what the demand will be 10 years down the line? It's extraordinarily difficult to predict demand, but let's face it, it's generally going to increase.

That's essentially why they make aircraft orders with both firm orders and options, as it gives them the flexibility of how many aircraft they actually need when there is a clearer vision in terms of the demand.

Ryanair are not going to bang an extra 400 or 500 extra aircraft into the mix. Airlines and particularly FR and EZY as examples do not just make aircraft orders for expansion although that tends to be the primary reason.

They are also used to replace the older aircraft in order to maintain a young fleet age and in the case of the A320Neo and 737MAX, are more fuel and cost efficient than current generation aircraft. FR have even managed to get 8 extra seats on it's new 737MAX series. These aircraft orders essentially allow them to further reduce their cost base.

This allows them to reduce fares which in turn helps to increase demand, a practice known as "price elasticity of demand" for those who weren't already aware, and the aviation industry does tend to be a very price elastic and price sensitive business.

Also take into account that a good proportion of these aircraft will be used to compete and gain market share from other airlines who reduce their schedules or even go bust.

If FR didn't have this huge aircraft order, they wouldn't be able to renew their fleet and reduce their cost base and they'd be losing market share and essentially be in decline.

FR may have a bigger order by number but remember their fleet size of 300 aircraft is already 50% bigger than EZY's 200, give or take a few.

easyflyer83
17th Sep 2014, 19:09
You come across as being pretty patronising to be quite honest mate. Taking a load of spiel from a GCSE business studies text book and applying it to the conversation we're having doesn't necessarily mean your argument is correct.

Making aircraft orders in a way where you can cap your fleet, expand and plan your fleet in a manner that allows you to decrease your fleet size insulates your airline from the many external factors that can cause a downturn in our industry. Some airlines are doing this whilst also achieving modest expansion.

racedo
17th Sep 2014, 21:12
Yeah and FR have been talking about transatlantic for at least ten year. What is said, and what is reality are often at odds.

They keep getting asked the question and keep answering it.

They park planes up all over as it is in winter, where are going to park the extra 200 and where are they going to fly more importantly?

They not the only ones who do but who said they were parking 200 ?

They replacing current fleet but giving themselves scope for growth.

In 2014 summer they cancelled routes simply because they did not have enough aircraft plus leased in others.

Course in low season there will be aircraft parked............... they not the only one doing this.

StevieW
17th Sep 2014, 21:56
In fact, easyJet themselves will only operate around 25 aircraft from LGW on certain days (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) throughout this Winter, compared to up to 68 throughout the Summer.

j41cac
17th Sep 2014, 23:09
Monarch slots

FullyFullyReady
17th Sep 2014, 23:17
Suprising regarding Gatwick, which invites the question what bases on the Easyjet network are least susceptible to seasonality, proportionally between the summer and winter schedules?

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Sep 2014, 17:07
When the overcapacity tsunami hits it may well be easyJets options to DECREASE fleet size that assures its position of a stable profit making dividend paying airline.

Once you are past 200 aircraft the economy of scale tails off. History is littered with bankrupt airlines that over expanded and then couldn't survive whatever crisis hit the industry shortly afterwards. And lets be in no doubt that there is always an unexpected crisis around the corner in this industry.

The Norwegians and the Irish can take the role of the Germans and the Russians in WW2 whilst easyJet stays British...

racedo
18th Sep 2014, 20:05
Once you are past 200 aircraft the economy of scale tails off. History is littered with bankrupt airlines that over expanded and then couldn't survive whatever crisis hit the industry shortly afterwards. And lets be in no doubt that there is always an unexpected crisis around the corner in this industry..

So can you show some of the studies on this................. maybe use Southwest with a fleet of 614 737's.

The Norwegians and the Irish can take the role of the Germans and the Russians in WW2 whilst easyJet stays British..

Ah good old Jingoism................ Really helped Uk industry in the past didn't it.

easyflyer83
18th Sep 2014, 23:16
RE: Southwest. There isn't the same overcapacity problem in the states. In fact they have experienced consolidation in recent years. Overcapacity in Europe will
prove to be potentially fatal for some European carriers. Clearly, having too many aircraft that you cannot fill isn't going to help you survive.

racedo
19th Sep 2014, 12:05
RE: Southwest. There isn't the same overcapacity problem in the states. In fact they have experienced consolidation in recent years.

But that wasn't the point being questioned.

The point made was that after 200 aircraft economy of scale tails off....

I have not seen any study that backs this up. Therefore I am assumming poster either has details of such studies or has made up a number that suits because it is close to Easyjets fleet numbers.

Alycidon
19th Sep 2014, 16:58
The Norwegians and the Irish can take the role of the Germans and the Russians in WW2 whilst easyJet stays British...

...erm like Austin Rover?

pabely
19th Sep 2014, 20:33
Monarch slots

j41cac, do you think they will be up for sale soon?

Fairdealfrank
20th Sep 2014, 11:45
I fear easyJet could be easily wrong footed by Ryanair, who seem now to be on the right track. Ryanair have been talking up 500+ aircraft in 10 years (with easyJet in the 300's), new business/family options, allocated seating and network changes to be more 'business friendly' are all encroaching on the EZY advantage.

No, the two will co-exist as there are subtle differences in their "target markets". There not engaged in a race to the bottom.

U2 introduced allocated seating a while back, it chases business pax, and it serves major airports (it will eventually will be at LHR).

U2's business model is quite different from FR's, even the new "user-friendly" FR.

toledoashley
8th Oct 2014, 07:20
Summer 2015 peak dates (Jun/July/Aug) are now on sale.

Evanelpus
9th Oct 2014, 13:18
Thanks, next summers flights now booked!:)

FRatSTN
11th Oct 2014, 00:55
It's that time of year again when we get to see how EZY has managed to screw it up for most of us for another year running.

As posted on the NCL thread, this has been the general picture for EZY over the last 3 or 4 years:

- BFS and BRS are big but not really expanding at any fast rate, if at all
- Growth at EDI has been off-set by reductions in GLA
- Growth at MAN has been off-set by reductions in LPL
- New SEN base was more than off-set by reductions at STN...
- ...Now growth at LTN for S15 is offset by reductions in SEN and yet further cuts at STN
- And NCL has been no different, also seeing cuts across the network

(Also not forgetting they closed EMA base in 2010.)

Literally all of EZY's "growth" (and by that I mean real growth) in the UK market for several years has been solely at LGW. Everything else they have advertised as growth has been nothing more than a reallocation of their aircraft to different airports and routes.

This below isn't absolutely perfect by any means, but should still give you a good idea:

On a Monday in August 2011, LTN had 52 departures and STN had 51. That's a total of 103 departures.

4 years later in August 2015, we are currently looking at 58 departures from LTN, 9 at SEN and only 30 from STN. That totals only 97 but considering probable new routes between now and then, we're looking at pretty much the same. Still poor considering it's 4 years on with a new base, yet no growth what so ever.

Again, on Mondays in August 2011 LPL had 34 departures, in August 2015 there's only 25. MAN for August 2015 will have 23. I'm not sure what MAN was in August 2011, but if it's any more than 13, (which I would've thought it was) then again the combined total is no better off, with again no growth compared to 2011.

I also remember quite well in 2011 when EZY announced the SEN base, that it would help towards their aim for, in the words of Ms Carolyn McCall, "Organic growth". How does any of what is basically outlined above even remotely demonstrate "organic growth"??

Does this company even have a vision and desire to grow anywhere across it's home market any more (other than the obvious place)?

Pain in the R's
11th Oct 2014, 05:25
Well that begs a further question. Easy seem to have Gatwick sewn up to the south of London and appear to be expanding Luton to the north of London maybe in readiness for an expanded Luton despite Luton being the UK's most unpopular airport.

So what's the long term future of their Southend and Stansted bases? Does easyjet really need to operate out of 4 London Airports particularly when Southend has no public transport access for early morning departures or late arrivals, a CAT 1 ILS, which means the airport can close at short notice due fog and a terminal that closes overnight?

I never did really understand their motive for creating a Southend base with a catchment area much smaller than Stansted, which at least has land in all directions rather than the sea.

Expressflight
11th Oct 2014, 06:42
Pain

A simplistic answer would be that they simply make sufficient money at SEN to make it worthwhile, regardless of the disadvantages that you point out. The advantage that SEN has in terms of its popularity with travellers and large local catchment also helps.

It was interesting that the introduction of the third daily SEN-AMS was extremely successful so it doesn't appear that SEN's growth potential has yet been reached. I wouldn't rule out further easyJet expansion in the future.

EI-BUD
11th Oct 2014, 08:20
It seems very clear to me what is happening. EasyJet is managing shareholder return as best it can. Aircraft are moved to where they provide the best return on investment.

It makes absolutely perfect sense as to why Gatwick gets priority. It's the base that is most sought after and plugging any gaps or filling any available slots is a way to keep norwegian at bay, prevent more entrants coming in or existing ones expanding. especially those with lower costs, eg Ryanair, Norwegian or Vueling. Gatwick is their biggest base it has to be protected. Sound business sense.

It is also easy to say SEN was a bad choice for them, hindsight is always 20:20 vision. But I congrsgulate easyJet for having the balls to try SEN. It is nonsense to suggest the catchment is small... It has 600k people locally, can serve London which is an enormous destination. easyJet offers bucket and spade and most popular city destinations that the UK market wants, hence it would appear the offer is what the outbound passenger wants as that is what is working. I believe that at least 80% of SEN traffic originates at SEN. The inbound market is largely untapped and this is where Stobart will spend time and money building up SEN routes at some cost. It has a vested interest to grow the airport - easyJet does not.
I think it is a good outcome that easyJet has a string core route structure ex Sen - therefore they should around. SEN is also a way of taking them out of the firing line away from FR, where fetching ticket prices is more difficult. In this way SEN is more niche and in a sense protected from FR.

A more general issue is much greater capacity in the market this year and prob same next year. To manage yield in this environment easyJet are not growing revenue significantly to its all about getting more return or as good as before from less. This explains moving of ac numbers, MAN/LPL, LTN/ STN - all about fine tune the revenue model to effect shareholder return.

Barling Magna
11th Oct 2014, 09:02
Yes. I think folk on here have it about right. My best guess is that EZY really did intend to increase their base at SEN to maybe six based aircraft over the period 2012-2014 but the situation changed when firstly STN was sold and secondly flyBE's LGW slots became available. Now I think EZY will remain at SEN for the 10 years of its agreement, basing three aircraft there. The situation may change again, of course; long-term planning in the airline industry means 18 months or so into the future in my experience.

SEN is fortunate that all the major investment to reach 2 million pax annually has been put in place. SEN has a perfectly viable catchment in its own right and can draw passengers from London also. EZY cancelled their SEN-Krakow route which was always almost full (don't bother talking about yield versus LF again - I know). It is possible that some other LCC may think that SEN provides an opportunity for profitable operations - let's hope so.

Incidentally, I think the percentage of passengers from London using SEN has been under-estimated. The SEN Annual Report for 2013/2014 shows about a quarter of passengers used the railway to access the airport. I suspect most of these will have travelled from or to London. Add those using the X30 service and their own vehicles and the % should surely be higher than the 20% suggested? Certainly the terminal seems full of London accents whenever I'm there - and, yes, I can tell the difference between a Southend accent and a London one, my dear; sixty years of listening pays off.

FRatSTN
11th Oct 2014, 12:13
EZY will not have just gone into SEN to try it out or because they will "make sufficient money to make it worthwhile".

Opening a new base takes a lot of work, time and expense. The airline needs to be certain in itself that it is going to be profitable, generate high share holder returns and has high potential for future growth over a long-term period. EZY obviously saw SEN as that airport, but only at the expense of others.

EZY made an investment into a 3 aircraft base at SEN in 2011, pulling 3 aircraft from STN as the "catchment overlaps" but being guided by Ms McCall that it wouldn't equate to capacity cuts at STN as part of their strategy of deeping the frequency of existing routes. EZY have now pulled 6 aircraft from STN since 2011.

At the time, STN was still very much in a rough position with the BAA with an uncertain future, but I'm sure EZY are intelligent and sophisticated enough to see that that wasn't going to last forever.

I don't wish to make this all about STN and SEN though albeit this is probably the most affected area. LPL and MAN?

FR is a good comparison here. At LPL, since 2011, EZY has dropped from 10 to 7 aircraft and FR from 8 to 5.

At MAN, EZY has gone from I think 6 to 8 aircraft and FR has gone from having no aircraft up to 7 (rumoured at 8) based units in the same period. With also many aicraft flying in from other bases, MAN is now FR's 2nd largest UK airport after STN.

The combined total of LPL and MAN for EZY was 16 aircraft in 2011 and is 15 for 2015. For FR it was 8 in 2011 and 12 for 2015. Interesting to note that despite EZY basing 1 more aircraft than FR at MAN, FR operates more flights. Either way, significant growth by FR has taken place here.

The same goes in Scotland for 2015. FR will cut back significantly in PIK due to the new GLA base, but the combined total of GLA and PIK in 2015 will be higher than the PIK operation in 2014. To add to that, FR will also be growing in EDI too. So the cities of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Scotland as a whole will see noticeable growth in 2015.

EMA has seen quite a lot of FR growth over quite a long period of time, but whilst BHX is pretty stagnant, it isn't seeing any major cuts. Similar thing now happening with the significant FR growth at STN, but LTN is still going as strong as always.

Both FR and EZY have had issues with fleet over the last few years, so despite the reallocation of aircraft to yield higher returns for shareholders, why is EZY failing to deliver real, "organic" growth, which FR seems to be pulling off quite nicely??

North West
11th Oct 2014, 13:10
Both FR and EZY have had issues with fleet over the last few years, so despite the reallocation of aircraft to yield higher returns for shareholders, why is EZY failing to deliver real, "organic" growth, which FR seems to be pulling off quite nicely??

Latest available results show a 5% increase in aircraft, a 2.2% increase in utilisation leading to a 6.8% increase in seats flown. From which, a 9% increase in seat revenue and a 9.4% increase in passengers.

A growth rate in passenger numbers that is nearly double the growth rate in aircraft is the very definition of organic growth, no ?

Expressflight
11th Oct 2014, 13:42
FRatSTN

I'm sure it was just a typo on your part but easyJet started at SEN in April 2012, not 2011.

You are quite correct in listing all the elements that had to be considered before the decision was made to establish a base at SEN and your frustration that STN was the loser as a result is very understandable. The case for doing so obviously convinced the Board and the addition of a 4th based aircraft in 2013 seemed to be a success. So far so good but then things changed at LGW when they purchased the Flybe slots and at the same time they were facing potential competition from the likes of Norwegian, so an increase in based aircraft there was the result and SEN lost one aircraft for 2014.

I don't see any of the above as necessarily meaning a further decline in the SEN operation going forward. All airlines adjust their strategy to reflect market conditions and the actions of competitors etc. and this is just another case of such an adjustment. The size of the future easyJet operation at SEN may increase, may stay the same or may reduce further, who knows? One certainty is that the potential for further growth in easyJet passenger numbers still exists at SEN and the terminal facilities now in place certainly make it an attractive option to passengers from a catchment area of at least 2 million people.

easyflyer83
11th Oct 2014, 13:48
Organic growth means growth of your business through means other than takeover and acquisition. Therefore Easyjet has grown, however modest you may deem it, in an organic manner. I just think that it is important to set out what 'organic' actually means from a business perspective.

Easyjet's strategy is clearly working. However much bases are growing or reducing the financial performance of the business is ultimately being championed by the city. It's profits targets are not only being consistently met but exceeded and despite a dip experienced by most carriers, it's share price is still exceptionally strong.

Easyjet is a European carrier and as such Europe is it's home market, like Ryanair it follows the best returns. Remember also that there was a time where Ryanair saw reductions in its 'home market'.

With a sustainable fleet plan, a robust performance and a reasonably good reputation Easyjet are proving that throwing assets the length and breadth of Europe at an exponential rate isn't necessarily the correct thing to do.

FRatSTN
11th Oct 2014, 14:33
Organic growth means growth of your business through means other than takeover and acquisition. Therefore Easyjet has grown, however modest you may deem it, in an organic manner.

I'm sorry, am I missing something here? In most areas in the UK as demonstrated, they have not increased their customer base. Last year they paid £20m to buy BE slots at LGW, the reason apparently by some of the posters here why EZY are barely growing elsewhere in the UK.

LGW is virtually full. The only way EZY has and can realistically continue to grow any more at LGW is by takeovers and acquisitions.

Yep, very organic growth.:rolleyes:

OltonPete
11th Oct 2014, 15:12
FRatSTN

It still amazes me how the Midlands is virtually an Orange desert. I know it has been discussed to death in respect of BHX fees compared to say Southend and other airports but with Ryanair down-sizing (looking like three based permanently now) and Monarch seemingly shrinking (although that could change) leaving flybe as they only non-charter airline expanding.

I know it was never a BHX v Southend competition when the Southend base opened, as they are completely different markets and will have a different charges structure but as a BHX local it did make you think why the two parties (BHX/U2) could not find some common ground.

Obviously Luton is not too far from BHX and catchments do overlap but the sheer size of these should be able to support a base at each (ZB and FR do on a smaller scale).

This year easy are starting BHX-GVA one week earlier and added and extra Friday flight and maintained their BFS frequency at least until the end of March when it reduces slightly but that is as good as it gets.

Pete

North West
11th Oct 2014, 16:09
http://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Files/E/Easyjet-Plc-V2/pdf/investors/presentations/investor-day-presentation-18-09-2014.pdf

Slide 24. The UK is not where they see the biggest growth opportunity, clearly.

It's a mature market which has got too much capacity - you only need to look at what's been going on at Monarch to see that. So, the UK will grow less for Easyjet and within the UK you are likely to see route-churn and a shuffle of aircraft between bases.

To suggest that in totality this means they are not growing is nonsense. They are growing, as the rest of the presentation makes clear

Skipness One Echo
11th Oct 2014, 16:51
LGW is virtually full.
That's a common misconception, LGW has a fair amount of capacity outwith the morning, lunch and evening waves of based aircraft. There is a lot of opportunity for EZY to operate from overseas bases into LGW, though in fairness they operate to pretty much everywhere you'd expect from Gatters.

Seljuk22
19th Oct 2014, 17:58
EZY released news regarding their new base at Schiphol starting next year:

Two A320 will be based starting summer schedule 2015 (end of March) and a third will arrive in May. 6 new destinations (HAM, VCE, NCE, TLS, DBV, OLB) will be launched and frequencies to other destinations will be increased.

http://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stories/8767

Capetonian
30th Oct 2014, 11:22
Does anyone know anything about an easyJet Advantage Plus card?

Apparently it's something they're giving out to frequent travellers, and it's a level above the easyPlus card (which I have) and gives a number of benefits such as free flight changes.

I've done about 60 sectors with them in the last year and someoene I know who uses the airline less than I do claims to have been 'given' this card (but actually hasn't shown it to me.........) He's not the type of person who normally makes things up.

I wrote to EZY customer services and they've denied all knowledge, however, it wouldn't be the first time I've had incorrect information in a response from them.

Airbourne-Adamski
30th Oct 2014, 16:00
To be honest I have not heard of the Advantage plus card. I was under the impression it was just easyjet plus.
I would expect if there was some form of adavantage plus there would be details on the website

True Blue
30th Oct 2014, 16:17
Capetonian

if it is what I think you are referring to, it is a trial being run at the minute with some cardholders for feedback. I have one. No doubt, if the trial proves a success, they will make it available to all, or it might need some changes, depending on feedback.

TB

LAX_LHR
2nd Nov 2014, 01:50
Looking at the slot co-ordination for Germany, easyjet has filed all its current Berlin SXF slots into Berlin TXL instead for S15.

Mistake? Leverage for better fees at SXF? Intent to move?

Jamie2k9
2nd Nov 2014, 02:28
One company runs SXF and TXL so unlikely to be fees related.

TartinTon
2nd Nov 2014, 08:44
It's the preferred airport for using Berlin. Anyone who's been through the crumbing infrastructure of SXF will prefer TXL plus it's much more convenient for the city itself.

easyflyer83
2nd Nov 2014, 13:55
Actually, a lot of people hate TXL.

ReallyAnnoyed
2nd Nov 2014, 15:00
There will be no move from SXF to TXL. TXL will close once the new airport at the current SXF location opens, although that is years away.

davidjohnson6
2nd Nov 2014, 15:23
Regardless of the merits of Tegel vs Schonefeld, my understanding was that Tegel is already running well over capacity. Is there space (slots, desks, gates, general terminal capacity, etc) at Tegel for a large number of Easyjet flights ?

j636
2nd Nov 2014, 17:11
DJ

Both are running aboVe capacity and combined they are now larger than the capacity planned for BER had it opened on time, by the time BER opens they will have to construct the extra piers and this when traffic is likely to grow even further in the next 4+ year, where do they go next!

MKY661
5th Nov 2014, 07:32
New service from BRS-GIB starting 19th April next year!

paully
5th Nov 2014, 08:04
Very good news but sounds like they are leaving the North to Monarch, although they wiped the floor with them last time out of Liverpool

MKY661
5th Nov 2014, 08:07
Very good news but sounds like they are leaving the North to Monarch, although they wiped the floor with them last time out of Liverpool

I always used MAN-GIB when It was running even though LPL is easier for me. Apparently loads were poor later on

jferreira20
5th Nov 2014, 10:17
London Luton, Bristol and Manchester (3 weekly)
Nantes (4 weekly)

easydan319
6th Nov 2014, 07:52
Other new routes starting for Summer 15:

Belfast - Split
Glasgow - Bordeaux
Manchester - Pisa, Porto, Marseille
Bristol - Catania, Porto, Gibraltar, Lanzarote
Luton - Antalya, Bodrum, Essaouira, Porto
Gatwick - Brindisi, Stuttgart
Berlin - Larnaca
Milan Malpensa - Stuttgart
Naples - Athens, Olbia
Basle - Lille
Paris Orly - Split
Toulouse - Agadir, Figari, Palma, Seville
Lyon - Krakow
Porto - Nantes

This is in addition to the 5 new routes from Amsterdam to Olbia, Dubrovnik, Toulouse, Nice and Venice announced a while ago.

GnRdL
6th Nov 2014, 08:42
Nothing new at ALC for a long, long time. Stuck in the core routes...

In two years, NAX and VLG will be ahead of EZY at ALC. See to believe...

INeedTheFull90
6th Nov 2014, 08:53
Too much capacity on many ALC - UK routes. No point flooding it with more capacity as yields will be trashed. Vueling may be bigger than EZY in a few years, Norwegian too, IF they survive.

GnRdL
6th Nov 2014, 09:04
@INeedTheFull90: And why not try other markets such as France or Germany?

DomyDom
6th Nov 2014, 17:32
Great news about the launch of routes from Manchester to Oporto, Marseille and Pisa:D Ninth aircraft for next summer I believe.

RAT 5
6th Nov 2014, 17:45
What news about the new AMS base? Is it up & running and how is it working for the crews?

CabinCrewe
6th Nov 2014, 18:18
Nice spread of routes outwith the standard predictable UK route grabbers...

HH6702
6th Nov 2014, 19:50
Heard that Geneva is new for summer 15 from NCL

ReallyAnnoyed
7th Nov 2014, 09:44
AMS opens as a base in the spring of 2015.

peppo_8787
8th Nov 2014, 18:04
Next week press conference at Palermo.

New routes to be announced.. first will be Palermo-Amsterdam!

Seljuk22
9th Nov 2014, 11:04
Any response from EZY regarding the massive expansion from Vueling at FCO?

Next summer VY will go head-to-head on their new routes to LGW (10 weekly), LYS (5 weekly), NCE (daily) and VIE (daily).

TLS will get a 3rd a/c and BRS a 12 a/c next summer. LTN could be up to 18 and MAN might also see an add. a/c due to the new routes (maybe more to follow).

FR8364
15th Nov 2014, 11:08
It seems easyJet will increase the number of planes based in CDG from next summer. New routes to be announced soon! :)

LAX_LHR
15th Nov 2014, 14:54
MAN already has its 9th aircraft confirmed. Co-incidentally, Paris CDG is one of MAN's new routes to be announced soon (MAN will have 7 new routes for 2015, which are MRS/OPO/FNC/PSA/CDG/SDQ/SPU)

cornishsimon
15th Nov 2014, 15:41
Any other seasonal routes into NQY likely ? Or just remain as just seasonal LPL-NQY ?

cs

DomyDom
15th Nov 2014, 17:41
Thanks for the update LAX_LHR. A great selection of new routes from MAN from Easyjet, presumably SDQ should read SCQ? With new destinations like Oporto, Marseille and Santiago Compostella in addition to providing choice on some existing MAN routes I really think they are now providing some fantatasic options for the niche as well as bucket and spade traveller. . Well done Easyjet:D

VickersVicount
15th Nov 2014, 19:07
Any other seasonal routes into NQY likely ?
No, I would thats unlikely tbh

easydan319
10th Dec 2014, 11:27
More new routes on sale today:

London Luton - Split
London Southend - Mahon
Manchester - Kefalonia, Split
Bristol - Bilbao, Isle of Man, Zante
Newcastle - Corfu, Rhodes, Split
Lisbon - Ponta Delgada
Hamburg - Alicante, Bologna, Heraklion, Paris Orly, Pisa, Thessaloniki
Amsterdam - Corfu, Ibiza, Palermo

Expressflight
11th Dec 2014, 12:08
Have EZY announced a revised aircraft livery?

It looks as if that may be happening from reports at SEN suggesting the first aircraft is undergoing that process there now. Nothing too drastic by the look of it, but more orange on the fuselage and different style titling.

INeedTheFull90
11th Dec 2014, 12:40
The planes painted there usually just turn out to be special editions such as the Shakespeare, Per Tutti, Moscow, UNICEF, Scotland, Naples and Berlin. I have heard rumours of a new CS so let's hope this is it. Even if is more of a tweak than a new Cs, it couldn't be much worse than the current one.

SouBE
11th Dec 2014, 17:37
The brand licence is still in force so there won't be any major changes to the current scheme. Apparently the licence expires next year (20 years since start up) so things may alter then.

HH6702
11th Dec 2014, 20:03
The next 2 aircraft to be delivered G-EZOA AND G-EZOB. The tails looks the same as the rest of the fleet when seen at Airbus in Hamburg last month

easyflyer83
12th Dec 2014, 00:12
Some people seem to be so sure...

MKY661
12th Dec 2014, 07:06
The next 2 aircraft to be delivered G-EZOA AND G-EZOB. The tails looks the same as the rest of the fleet when seen at Airbus in Hamburg last month

I don't think there will be any new colour scheme yet, especially since some aircraft are being Painted at EMA at the moment in the normal scheme (But the removal of the 'Come On, Let's Fly!' titles) :)

Expressflight
12th Dec 2014, 07:44
See if G-EZUA looks any different at LGW today.

I quite like the changes: photo available soon hopefully.

planenut321
12th Dec 2014, 11:53
Just spotted the new livery outside work. Took a photo on phone but can't put it directly up here. Big Easyjet titles up tail and rear fuselage with small Easyjet title on fuselage by front door.

Airbourne-Adamski
12th Dec 2014, 17:44
Be great if you can find a way to share pics

toledoashley
12th Dec 2014, 17:58
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4q42RMCQAA2-Hc.jpg:large

This has been doing the rounds on Twitter.

Waldo1
12th Dec 2014, 19:47
It looks very....temporary...a la gb a321 conversions back in the day

EK77WNCL
12th Dec 2014, 22:00
Oh nonono, please be an accident

INeedTheFull90
13th Dec 2014, 00:17
I didn't think the current scheme could look any more cheap and nasty. How wrong I was. Half a billion profit and this is the best they can do?

I wonder if it's half finished? It seems the airlines these days seem to be out competing each other on cheap nasty boring branding a la China Eastern, Air Austral, Finnair and Spririt. Hideous.

MKY661
13th Dec 2014, 00:29
Like with Monarch, Thomson and Thomas Cook, there is an EasyJet thread in the Spotters Corner for the new colour scheme. Any more info or more registrations that will be painted with it can be found here:
http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/480150-new-easyjet-livery.html#post8780516

I know a few years ago some people didn't like the idea of constant New Livery posts, so there is an area us who like it can still Enjoy it.

NickBarnes
13th Dec 2014, 08:43
New Livery is horrendous, old one looks much better:sad:

TSR2
13th Dec 2014, 08:57
Very neat and modern.

yeo valley
13th Dec 2014, 09:58
least the phone numbers have gone,which did look cheap and lo co. i should have said also at least phone numbers did not reappear.

INeedTheFull90
13th Dec 2014, 10:00
Been a LONG time since the phone number went.

True Blue
13th Dec 2014, 20:04
Easyjet has been canvassing opinion on a new livery as I was one of those asked a few months back.

Tb

wallp
13th Dec 2014, 21:02
If that's the new livery it definitely isn't an upgrade

True Blue
13th Dec 2014, 21:26
It was one of the options.

Gb

Falcon666
13th Dec 2014, 22:13
True blue.
Dare you give us an idea what the other options looked like or could they still be under consideration?
Is this the done deal?
As a shareholder I am not overly impressed to be honest!

NickBarnes
14th Dec 2014, 11:51
Photo: G-EZUA (CN: 4588) easyJet Airbus A320-214 by Stefano Ciccarelli Photoid: 7938233 - JetPhotos.Net (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7938233)

link to a crystal clear image of the New Livery

Rain dog
14th Dec 2014, 19:00
"It seems the airlines these days seem to be out competing each other on cheap nasty boring branding a la China Eastern, Air Austral, Finnair and Spririt. Hideous."

There's no way you can compare the Finnair product with the others listed - one of the last flying examples of true taste...

New livery is not too good IMO but an improvement nonetheless, agree with planedrive in that different shades of orange would be the way to go.

pwalhx
14th Dec 2014, 19:13
IMO looks a lot more professional and business like than the old tacky down market look. They are not a full service carrier and not pretending to be this bridges the gap.

runway08
14th Dec 2014, 21:50
The tiny easyjet on the front of the plane just doesnt work. They should either make that larger or stick an orange line running down the plane to break up the white. It just doesnt look complete at all.

darren1
14th Dec 2014, 21:52
Another increase in flights to SPU. Any chance of a summer base like FR has at ZAD?

EI-BUD
14th Dec 2014, 22:01
This scheme looks cheap , nasty, unbalanced and incomplete. I get it that Orange is a difficult colour to work with but in my view large letters work on white , perhaps use different font , more contemporary and perhaps some ribbon / stripes like german wings. Could introduce a deeper colour to balance out the Orange !!!

INeedTheFull90
14th Dec 2014, 22:19
I think the Orange and grey easyJet used worked really well. If the EasyJet titles at the front were larger and in dark great, you wouldn't be a million miles away from Qantas and their livery is simple, yet elegant. Still there will be someone in Luton quaffing champagne and laughing all the way to the bank as no doubt eJ would have laid a fortune for this.

Jorik
16th Dec 2014, 21:30
Bologna Up to 3x a week Year round 1 May 2015

Palermo Up to 2x a week Summer only 4 June 2015

Menorca Up to 2x a week Summer only 27 June 2015

Santorini Up to 2x a week Summer only 4 June 2015

Figari (Corsica) Up to 2x a week Summer only 6 June 2015

flyOU
17th Dec 2014, 14:12
Another increase in flights to SPU. Any chance of a summer base like FR has at ZAD?

Has easyJet another summer base? SPU could be a summer base, in peak season there will be 87 weekly flights to 18 destinations

runway08
17th Dec 2014, 19:30
Looks like that wasnt the full new livery.

New Easyjet Livery Revealed In Full — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6258996/)

Falcon666
18th Dec 2014, 05:31
Seriously why not just get a local school to have a competition and design a livery-they couldn't do any worse:E

IB4138
19th Dec 2014, 15:52
The "new" liveries mentioned here are still being considered and are not confirmed.

Seljuk22
19th Dec 2014, 18:21
New routes:

30th March: CDG-TLV 3 weekly
3rd April: FCO-MUC 13 weekly
4th June: OPO-LUX 3 weekly
5th June: OPO-STR 2 weekly

Once the third runway at Munich is completed I guess we will see a base there.

EI-BUD
22nd Dec 2014, 17:38
And a new route between Rome (FCO) and Alicante (ALC), first new ALC route in some time (excluding SEN as it was a STN transfer). Vueling already serve this route, so a bullish move on the part of EasyJet as Vueling are already well established in both markets!

Nonetheless, good to see EasyJet dipping their toe into the market here.

EI-BUD

sunshine79
4th Jan 2015, 17:10
Does anyone know when EZY are going to release the seats for the end of October, especially from SEN. Can only see upto 24th October at the moment

davidjohnson6
4th Jan 2015, 17:14
sunshine - based purely on what's happened in previous years, you probably want to start looking around late March 2015 for flights after late October 2015

Seljuk22
7th Jan 2015, 16:53
Passenger figures

65,348,876 +6.5% LF: 90.8 +1.5pp

December
4,634,977 +3.2% LF: 88.4% +0.5pp

easyJet Media Centre (http://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stories/8901)

Bjarte
8th Jan 2015, 17:36
And again a new A320 on his route to GB! G-EZOB :ok:

http://static.afbeeldinguploaden.nl/1501/91223/5PnHOSW.jpg

Seljuk22
17th Jan 2015, 13:21
10th March LGW-DME down from double daily to daily

29th March NCL-AMS cancellation

EK77WNCL
17th Jan 2015, 13:56
Shame NCL-AMS is being cancelled, seemed it was doing well

Although it ends 31st May not 29th March. NCL-LGW ends 27th March

fa2fi
17th Jan 2015, 18:05
NCLAMS It was apparent several months ago that this route was dropped however several new routes have been announced and GVA year round now

LGWDME It is now very expensive for Russians to visit the UK and Euroland, the British need a visa to go Russia which puts them off going there and they're not the most popular of countries right now for numerous reasons. I would not be surprised to see further reductions and similar reactions from other airlines as well as reduced frequencies on MANDME too with U2.

davidjohnson6
17th Jan 2015, 18:50
as well as reduced frequencies on MANDME too with U2

MAN-DME is currently scheduled for 2x weekly. Doesn't seem to be much scope for frequency reductions before the route is cancelled.

There is however an argument that for those living in the UK and who don't particularly care about politics, 2015 would be a really good time to go visit Moscow. One year ago, 1 UK pound bought 55 rubles. Right now, it buys 99 rubles. If while on holiday you buy goods that are priced around ruble costs (ie not closely linked to the price of oil) and sold mainly to the average Russian resident (forget about those stays in 5 star business-centric hotels), you should be able to have a good time on minimal money.

fa2fi
17th Jan 2015, 19:22
Whilst all of your points are very valid I can't imagine many people spending £100 to get a visa to go there in order to take advantage of the favourable exchange rate. I'd rather go to Europe where the pound is at its strongest against the euro for a long time and save on the visa money and hassle.

easyflyer83
18th Jan 2015, 00:07
And the people who are being frugal in hotel accommodation and in the market for cheap consumer items are going to be rather price sensitive I assume. As such the visa cost will put them off and if not, I can't imagine them being great for yield.

The Flying Cokeman
18th Jan 2015, 16:57
There will be an announcement in the near future that LGW-DME is being reduced to a daily flight instead of two.

wallp
20th Jan 2015, 21:01
I presume the news that BA at LGW is moving to the South Terminal means easyJet will be consolidating into the North Terminal next year

easydan319
30th Jan 2015, 13:50
New 1 weekly flight on Thursdays starting April 23rd 15

Liverpool - Zante. Now makes 30 EZY routes from LPL!

Fairdealfrank
30th Jan 2015, 18:51
Not really surprising and confirms my suspicions that U2 would be at LHR if the present impediments (high slot charges, congestion both on the ground and in the air, delays, etc.) were removed by expansion.

BBC News - Budget airline Easyjet backs Heathrow expansion (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31060825)

Easyjet says would fly from expanded Heathrow airport | Reuters (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/01/30/uk-easyjet-heathrow-expansion-idUKKBN0L31J420150130)

compton3bravo
30th Jan 2015, 18:53
In a statement today easyJet have comes out in favour of a third runway at Heathrow instead of the proposed second runway at Gatwick - there largest base. At last someone in the airline industry has shown their heads over the parapit.
I bet it this has not gone down well at GIP but easy say if a second runway was constructed at Gatwick prices would have to go up which would ultimately mean higher fares for passengers.

toledoashley
30th Jan 2015, 19:10
I really wouldn't be surprised if they tried to go after the remedy slots that Little Red will be giving back for Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Fairdealfrank
30th Jan 2015, 19:25
I really wouldn't be surprised if they tried to go after the remedy slots that Little Red will be giving back for Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

That would be an interesting development!!

EI-BUD
30th Jan 2015, 19:38
Yes I heard Carolyn McCall' message today, makes total sense. Opening LGW up to another runway would mean an invasion of competition on its biggest patch. Whereas supporting LHR would mean securing their monopoly of slots at LGW plus potentially going into LHR where the competitive set is higher cost carriers, in essence a honey pot for a low cost carrier.

She also cited the fact that the construction of a runway at LGW would mean disruption and challenges to their sizeable operation at LGW.....

Fairdealfrank
31st Jan 2015, 01:09
Yes I heard Carolyn McCall' message today, makes total sense. Opening LGW up to another runway would mean an invasion of competition on its biggest patch. Whereas supporting LHR would mean securing their monopoly of slots at LGW plus potentially going into LHR where the competitive set is higher cost carriers, in essence a honey pot for a low cost carrier.

She also cited the fact that the construction of a runway at LGW would mean disruption and challenges to their sizeable operation at LGW.....

Have a look at U2's submission to the Commission, it's a good read and makes a lot of sense. Page 15 outlines what a U2 operation at LHR might be like.

http://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media...on-jan2015.pdf (http://corporate.easyjet.com/%7E/media/Files/E/Easyjet-Plc-V2/pdf/about-easyjet/easyJet-response-to-the-airports-commission-consultation-jan2015.pdf)

FRatSTN
31st Jan 2015, 12:50
I don't that often see eye to eye with what EZY says or does on a number of things but I have to say I agree with pretty much everything they're saying here.

Key points I see value in are...
- Gatwick would require pre-funding (significant increase in charges prior to runway opening) which would more heavily impact short-haul leisure passengers than the premium long-haul passengers at Heathrow.
- Heathrow would attract low-cost airlines like EasyJet. Direct competition with legacy carriers will bring down fares on short-haul routes. 70% of Gatwick's short-haul is already low-cost carriers, less future competition and alongside pre-funding, fares for passengers will increase.
- Heathrow is far more flexible in terms of catering for future demand. Gatwick depends more on the success of low-cost long-haul carriers (which I agree for reasons stated in report are unlikely to be successful long-term)

There's still a few points though that I don't agree so much on.
- I think EZY overemphasise the extent to which people want to use primary airports. To me, the case they make isn't so much about Heathrow being a primary or hub airport, but instead more competition (to lower fares) and better catering for various future demands.
- I think they also under-estimate the growth at the other London airports LTN, STN, LCY and SEN. I think more than 39 million passengers will be using LTN, STN and SEN collectively by 2030. That's only about 5 million more than today.
- Also the route network they have designed for Heathrow. This surely is more just for show. It's purely based on route networks that exist today. I can't see how you can develop an accurate route network for 20 years down the line. It gives nothing more than a rough indication to the size of the network they might have.

LNIDA
31st Jan 2015, 14:02
LGW is fast becoming slot restricted at peak times, leaving LGW at one runway maintains that and therefore suits easyJet current monopoly position, opening a 3rd or 4th runway at LHR would allow easyJet to move some operations there whilst still maintaining a sizeable LGW operation.

This statement has got nothing to do with lowering prices or improving competition, but is all about easyJets commercial needs, perfectly understandable

FRatSTN
31st Jan 2015, 14:20
is all about easyJets commercial needs

That maybe but certainly some very plausible points. I've never thought Gatwick is the right place for a new runway, or Stansted or Luton for that matter.

WHBM
31st Jan 2015, 15:17
Well I'm just pleased that Carolyn McCall has made a professional statement about the future of UK aviation, and it does come over like that rather than the sort of narrow partisan view that the likes of O'Leary would make. Yes, it is in the overall interests of UK aviation to increase the capacity at Heathrow. Build a second runway at Gatwick and you will STILL have everyone holding at Lambourne for 30 minutes most days, while the doubled capacity at Gatwick, which Easy as the No 1 user will have to pay for, goes unused.

It's also in Easy's interest as well. A 50% increase in Heathrow capacity and both BA and Virgin will be gone from Gatwick overnight, just like the US carriers all walked out on the place the moment the Bermuda 2 restrictions were lifted.

To be frank, I'm getting fed up with Gatwick's ludicrous and partisan advertising. Recently they have taken to posters along the M4 to Heathrow saying that traffic along there would get worse if Heathrow's extra runway goes ahead. Just how long do they think it would take to get out down the unmodernised A23 through Brixton and Croydon if Gatwick doubles its runways ? Not everyone wants to fag over to Victoria and run the gauntlet of the most unreliable rail service in London out through East Croydon etc. I imagine Carolyn McCall is equally hacked off with the downright rude comments Gatwick made about her statement ("narrow commercial interests"), given that Easyjet are Gatwick's No 1 customer, and that Easyjet know way more about UK aviation than a bunch of USA-based investment lawyers. I hope she tells them so in no uncertain terms.

Capetonian
31st Jan 2015, 15:40
easyJet and Carolyn McCall have just risen even higher in my view than they already were. Most of the points in the document seem valid as general points and not just looked at from their perspective, and are clearly expressed. Kudos!

I had to laugh inwardly this morning at the pettiness of some people. I was on an easyJet flight and had booked seat 2A as the one I normally have, 1F, was not available when I booked. When boarding was completed it was unoccupied so I asked a member if the crew if I could move, adding that I was an EZY+ card holder. He asked to see my card, correctly so, and confirmed that I could have the seat.

The woman in 2C then asked if she could move to the front row and the FA asked her if she was an EZY+ card holder, at which she kicked up a fuss and said 'if the seat's free it's free for anyone', and why could 'he' (i.e. me!) move and not her. He very pleasantly and clearly explained that they were chargeable seats at which she just become more and more angry ........

The FA handled the situation extremely professionally but had to tell her that if she didn't stop swearing she would be disembarked.

INeedTheFull90
31st Jan 2015, 17:01
Very well handled. I don't know why people think they're entitled to a an upgrade. It's no different to a Star Gold member being upgraded to Eco+ or a preferred seat. If you wanted an upgrade to the premium cabin on a legacy carrier you'd ask kindly!

LNIDA
31st Jan 2015, 17:40
Personally i'm still at a loss to understand why it has to LHR or LGW, surely if both can fund their respective runway plans then why not?

If LHR gets the green light i hope its for two additional runways, it will be 2025 before anything is flying from them.

It will still be a long haul airport with few UK feeder services

I guess much will depend on the general election in May, if the SNP have labour by the tail, then it might be PIK

Fairdealfrank
1st Feb 2015, 20:59
Well I'm just pleased that Carolyn McCall has made a professional statement about the future of UK aviation, and it does come over like that rather than the sort of narrow partisan view that the likes of O'Leary would make. Yes, it is in the overall interests of UK aviation to increase the capacity at Heathrow. Build a second runway at Gatwick and you will STILL have everyone holding at Lambourne for 30 minutes most days, while the doubled capacity at Gatwick, which Easy as the No 1 user will have to pay for, goes unused.
Obvious isn't it! Amazingly, there are still many who can't get their heads round this basic fact of life. Ho hum.

It's also in Easy's interest as well. A 50% increase in Heathrow capacity and both BA and Virgin will be gone from Gatwick overnight, just like the US carriers all walked out on the place the moment the Bermuda 2 restrictions were lifted.
As it turns out, U2 could be in a very strong position with LHR expansion:
(1) it gets the opportunity to create a sizable operation at LHR;
(2) plenty of available slots give it the opportunity to expand at LGW as the "waiting room" (for LHR) empties, and other migrations to LHR to take place.

To be frank, I'm getting fed up with Gatwick's ludicrous and partisan advertising. Recently they have taken to posters along the M4 to Heathrow saying that traffic along there would get worse if Heathrow's extra runway goes ahead.
Me too. Also not impressed to get one of the "Gatwick obviously" leaflets through my door (in Middlesex!).

Desperation on the part of Gatwick airport Ltd.?

Just how long do they think it would take to get out down the unmodernised A23 through Brixton and Croydon if Gatwick doubles its runways ? Not everyone wants to fag over to Victoria and run the gauntlet of the most unreliable rail service in London out through East Croydon etc.
Indeed.

Personally i'm still at a loss to understand why it has to LHR or LGW, surely if both can fund their respective runway plans then why not?
Exactly!

If LHR gets the green light i hope its for two additional runways, it will be 2025 before anything is flying from them.
Two more rwys will be needed, possibly before 2040. Some long term thinking is needed (for example, build two M25 tunnels at the same time - one lot of disruption instead of two), but unfortunately, the flock of pigs is flying again.

It will still be a long haul airport with few UK feeder services
Possibly, but not necessarily: long haul flights need feeder flights. UK feeder services to/from LHR could be the saviour of many struggling smaller airports.

I guess much will depend on the general election in May, if the SNP have labour by the tail, then it might be PIK
Ha ha. Would be a mistake for Labour not to make it clear that it will not get into bed with the SNP.

It will be presented as party that nearly bankrupted the UK linking up with the party that nearly broke up the UK. Whether true or not, it would be toxic for Labour. "Vote UKIP get Miliband" is lame in comparison.

Maybe not good for the SNP either now that Labour has thrown it away in Scotland: "Vote SNP get Miliband".

How would a Lab/SNP deal affect a decision on airport expansion?

SWBKCB
2nd Feb 2015, 16:30
New scheme - final version? :yuk:

Skyliner - aviation news & more (http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=&picid=9132)

Captain_Caveman
2nd Feb 2015, 20:23
Yes G-EZDE is our first aircraft in the new scheme... New deliveries will still be in the old scheme for the next few months...

EK77WNCL
2nd Feb 2015, 23:45
I'm still holding on to the hope that this is a temporary livery and won't be rolled out fully across the fleet. If it aint broke don't fix it!

Captain_Caveman
3rd Feb 2015, 00:24
Sorry to dissapoint EK77WNCL but this is the new livery... Part of the conditions of using the easyJet name is that it must be white on orange. That's why it has changed. The old scheme was with easyjet written as Orange on white and is a requirement by easygroup who own the rights to the name easyJet.

Waldo1
3rd Feb 2015, 23:38
Is becoming a millstone round the airlines neck...time to ditch stelios and his easygroup and rename and rebrand the whole airline

davidjohnson6
3rd Feb 2015, 23:50
Rebrands of well known consumer companies are *very* expensive and time consuming. A company known globally which is reasonably well regarded will incur high costs in recapturing the brand recognition and perception of the company by people.

Yes there is grief from Easygroup, but is it sufficient to really go for the complete rename option ? Perhaps the game for Easygroup is to extract as much cash as possible over a long term timescale without being seen as sufficiently awkward to push Easyjet management too far.

EK77WNCL
4th Feb 2015, 01:41
All seems silly to me, hopefully the livery will grow on me but... I very much look forward to the next new livery!

They should have just swapped to the inverted livery.

easyflyer83
4th Feb 2015, 05:09
The problem is, is that the easyJet brand is formidable in strength. It is probably the most valuable asset of the business. When people refer to a shade of orange as 'easyJet orange' in everyday life then the brand really has very much ingrained itself in popular culture and the conscience of millions of potential customers. Why would you want to change that brand to the extent that no one recognises you in the market place. To drop the easyJet brand would be disastrous in my opinion. Love it or hate it, it's a powerful brand and you don't just throw that away.

greatoaks
4th Feb 2015, 18:16
Looks like a painting competition winner from 'Blue Peter'

SealinkBF
4th Feb 2015, 18:53
Bring back 'go'. Now that was a good brand and good branding :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyUd-gY9l4

runway08
4th Feb 2015, 19:54
They should have just gone with the same livery that fully Orange A320 has. Would covering the rest of the aircraft be that much more expensive? Genuine enquiry.

whateverg
4th Feb 2015, 20:06
I wouldn't have thought so because the white is painted on too. Going all orange would simply be an alternative choice to white. Please correct if I'm wrong.

EcamSurprise
4th Feb 2015, 22:13
I think the white is the basic one supplied by Airbus. Any paint on top is extra £££

FRatSTN
12th Feb 2015, 08:53
This article from anna.aero backs up quite nicely some of the points I have previously make about EZY's "growth"...

Ryanair, easyJet, Vueling, and Wizz Air?s growth airports (http://www.anna.aero/2015/02/11/ryanair-easyjet-vueling-and-wizz-airs-growth-airports/)

London Luton is EZY's fastest growing airport this year, seeing an extra 46 departures per week in August 2015 compared to August 2014. Equates to an extra 6 or 7 per day. Sounds good!?

Biggest declining airport is... London Stansted. Also worth noting they're pulling an aircraft out of Southend as well. Between them they lose somewhere in the region of around 40 to 50 flights a week.

So that impressive growth at Luton, in real terms, actually equates to about 0.

Look at Ryanair by comparison.

Skipness One Echo
12th Feb 2015, 09:33
Look at Ryanair by comparison.
No one wants to read "my airlines better than yours". Really.
Take a step back, both firms have had peaks and troughs of growth which stabilise into mature routes or retract as assets are redeployed round the entire continental network. easyJet are enormous at Gatters, it's a different focus in the London market. LTN, STN and SEN are peripheral by comparison whereas FR is pretty much all at STN having given up most of LGW.

In terms of the brand, the current livery is out of step with the warmer family and business friendly nuanced customer facing brand image consistent across print and digital, the clash is at the airport. The revised livery doesn't quite close the gap IMHO.

FRatSTN
12th Feb 2015, 20:31
It's nothing to do with FR being better than EZY. Just making a valid point.

Redeployment of aircraft I agree isn't uncommon and makes perfect sense in some cases but there should be a mix of that with some actual growth. It has been a common theme in the UK for EZY over recent years. Rarely, other than at LGW, has EZY actually delivered any growth at all.

FR have been able to and continue to grow very strongly at STN without it having an impact on their LTN and LGW operations. In fact, FR will increase at both these airports too this year.

A similar thing has happened in the North-west of England between LPL and MAN and also in Scotland regarding GLA and EDI. EZY have grown in recent years at MAN and EDI but most of that is only offsetting cuts in LPL and GLA.

FR by comparison have cut back in LPL and PIK but the growth bought to MAN, GLA and EDI over the same period has more than compensated for those cuts and quite significantly. That too shows your redeployment of aircraft but there's growth bought with it as well which is equally as important.

That's the only point I'm trying to make, not a fight between one airline being better than the other.

compton3bravo
13th Feb 2015, 07:07
Thank you for that reply from the head of the PR department at Ryanair:):):)

FRatSTN
13th Feb 2015, 08:40
compton3bravo

How about, if you don't have anything worth saying... Just don't bother saying it?

easyflyer83
13th Feb 2015, 10:16
I thought it was worth saying, sorry. It does seem like you have a point to prove and it does smack as being tribal. What you are saying is not untrue, after all you've just done a few basic, very basic sums to determine net aircraft growth in the UK. So what if easyJet aren't throwing new aircraft into the network left right and centre. It's not all about growing as big and fast as you can, that's a recipe for disaster if/when the doo doo hits the proverbial economic fan.

AirportPlanner1
13th Feb 2015, 11:13
Absolutely nothing wrong with FR's point, it is quite valid. As a resident northeast of the river, I have found myself flying less and less with EZY over the last few years. Bit by bit, FR have crept into EZY's traditional network and there has been seemingly little done to defend the customer base in the northern part of the London catchment. Shifting deckchairs will only get so far, as we've seen with the emerging battle on CPH. FR could if they wanted to further attack EZY's 'new' (moved) routes at LTN.

compton3bravo
13th Feb 2015, 12:59
Sorry FR if I have upset you. As they say if your cannot stand the fire etc. Not to be taken too seriously honestly so just chill love!

flyOU
18th Feb 2015, 14:27
Twice weekly flights from LGW to

Monastir, Tunisia (starting from June)
Pula, Istria/Croatia (starting from June)
Preveza, Greece (starting from May)

Double Hydco
18th Feb 2015, 14:36
The Monistir flight is from Stansted not Gatwick.......

Joe Curry
24th Feb 2015, 10:33
BBC News - Easyjet expands at Edinburgh Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14988247)

adfly
24th Feb 2015, 10:53
That article is over 3 years old!

Evanelpus
24th Feb 2015, 10:54
Was at Southend at the weekend and it looked like EZDA was getting the new scheme with Air Livery.

Joe Curry
24th Feb 2015, 12:24
Oops senior moment kicking in.

Should have been this:

easyJet adds 70,000 extra seats from Edinburgh | The Edinburgh Reporter (http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2015/02/easyjet-adds-70000-extra-seats-from-edinburgh/)

MKY661
24th Feb 2015, 20:06
Was at Southend at the weekend and it looked like EZDA was getting the new scheme with Air Livery.

Exact Aircraft getting the new scheme can be found on the New EasyJet Livery thread in the Spotters Corner :)

Seljuk22
3rd Apr 2015, 07:49
Bases 25 and 26 were launched at Porto and Amsterdam these days.

AMS will get a 4th aircraft next winter
easyJet Media Centre (http://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stories/9093)

26th October LTN-CPH increased up to 4 daily
27th October AMS-LIN 6 weekly

Seljuk22
3rd Apr 2015, 15:43
After checking the departures from each airport it looks like the following amount of based aircraft for each base

Gatwick 55-60 (1 aircraft overnight at MAD, BCN & CPH)
Milan 18
Luton 18
Geneva 13
Bristol 12 (during summer season)
Paris (CDG) 9
Berlin 9
Basel 9
Manchester 8 (9 from June)
Rome 7
Stansted 7
Liverpool 7
Edinburgh 7
Paris (Orly) 6
Lyon 5
Belfast 5
Lisbon 4
Glasgow 4
Hamburg 3
Naples 3
Southend 3
Toulouse 3
Nice 3
Newcastle 3
Amsterdam 2 (3 from May, 4 from October for the winter timetable)
Porto 2

Right now there are 23 easyJet Switzerland and 208 easyJet aircrafts.

If someone knows more accurate figures please let us know!

rowly6339
3rd Apr 2015, 19:55
14 year old girl refused boarding because she had 2 pieces of hand luggage even though the poor girl offered to pay for a bag to go in the hold. Does anybody have any common sense anymore. Absolute joke.

Waldo1
4th Apr 2015, 00:26
Ezy are turning into a budget version of animal farm!...the orwell one, that is....

easyflyer83
4th Apr 2015, 08:11
LGW has overnighting aircraft in CPH, INV, AMS and CDG aswell as MAD and BCN. I also believe there will be a AGP nightstopper this summer too.

Seljuk22
4th Apr 2015, 08:31
AMS and CDG are based. Difficult to say if those are LGW or not LGW based aircrafts.

For AGP I do not see any morning flight AGP-LGW

easyflyer83
4th Apr 2015, 10:23
Re: AMS and CDG, they aren't based aircraft. LGW crew nightstop in those places. AGP isn't a nightstop at the moment but I've heard it will be this summer.

MerchantVenturer
4th Apr 2015, 19:43
Seljuk22

Do you know how many aircraft will be based at BRS in the coming winter? In recent winters it's been ten (although not all were used for every part of every day) with eleven in summer. As you point out, summer 2015 will see 12 based aircraft. Many thanks.

Seljuk22
4th Apr 2015, 19:52
For BRS my source is this EZY statement:
There will now be up to 12 easyJet aircraft based at the airport from Summer 2015.
easyJet Media Centre (http://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stories/8809)

Don't know next winter, should be less and it's hard to say and to count as aircrafts grounded or undergoing maintenance during winter season.

easyflyer83
4th Apr 2015, 20:10
That's right. They are keeping their seasonal aircraft plus the one extra.

MKY661
4th Apr 2015, 21:30
AGP isn't a nightstop at the moment but I've heard it will be this summer.

I believe LGW-AGP is a Huge route for EasyJet. They operate it 4/5/6 times a day in the summer I believe. No wonder there is planned to be a nightstopper.

I wonder what route EasyJet carries the most passengers on? My guess is this one :)

GAZMO
4th Apr 2015, 21:49
Interesting question? BFS to LGW six daily on Mon and Fri, maybe someone can suggest a greater frequency?

planenut321
4th Apr 2015, 22:00
LGW-AMS? Up to 8 daily this summer.

GAZMO
4th Apr 2015, 23:02
Don't think any route can beat that?

compton3bravo
5th Apr 2015, 04:13
Luton-Geneva on most Saturdays during the ski season - 10 daily return flights.

Seljuk22
5th Apr 2015, 07:39
LGW-GVA & LTN-GVA up to 10 times a day on weekends during high-winter season. Also CDG-MXP up to 9 times a day.

NorthCountryBoy76
5th Apr 2015, 07:50
Easyflyer, the CDG nightstop ended in the autumn and the AMS finished this week I believe, so the LGW nightstopping a/c are now in INV, CPH, MAD & BCN. I've not heard about the AGP nightstop but wouldn't surprise me.

LNIDA
5th Apr 2015, 20:27
Oslo Bergen has i think the highest frequency city pair in Europe with SAS & NAS operating 14 rotations a day each at times, 40 min flight 7 hour drive..well you would wouldn't you

AerRyan
5th Apr 2015, 20:36
DUB-LHR has over 20daily rotations between BA and EI?

EI-BUD
5th Apr 2015, 22:20
MAD BCN and Dublin London traditionally the busiest city pairs in Europe. Of course once upon a time London Paris was.

For easyJet BFS LPL is one of the busier routes, though not the busiest...

LPL IOM and GLA BFS in that order are the shortest...

AerRyan
8th Apr 2015, 00:52
Rumour has it that EasyJet will move their headquarters to Gatwick.

mockingjay
8th Apr 2015, 05:56
Rubbish. LTN will always remain the HQ.

SealinkBF
8th Apr 2015, 07:15
Rubbish. LTN will always remain the HQ.

I can see it happening when easyJet take over almost all of the South Terminal.

mockingjay
8th Apr 2015, 07:45
I'm pretty sure it is the North terminal they are moving to and I can't see all of the U2 management with their Hertfordfordshire homes moving to LGW. They're not going to commute accross London every day.

There's really no reason for the HQ to be located on expensive airport land anyway. A trading estate in Milton Keynes would be far more likely than moving to LGW.

CabinCrewe
8th Apr 2015, 07:50
'always' and 'rubbish' seem very powerful terms that have been known to come back and haunt...

easyflyer83
8th Apr 2015, 08:46
It won't happen. There are several LTN based carriers where LTN isn't one if their larger bases. I suspect that this rumour stems from the brand new training centre that has just opened in LGW. Of course, training facilities are very different from HQ's.

AerRyan
9th Apr 2015, 11:27
It will be over a gradual 10 year period. Gatwick want secure a large airline for when the third runway at Heathrow goes ahead (Decision made but won't be publicised until some time after the elections). Gatwick will offer cheaper land for the HQ to be built on, as well as airport fee reductions. In return, Easy Jet will keep Gatwick as their main hub for years to come and will not operate and "major" operations from Heathrow.

Captain_Caveman
9th Apr 2015, 12:28
Aer Ryan

Your rumour is simply that... The easyJet HQ or Hanger 89 as it is officially known was secured as part of Luton being classed as an economic regeneration zone which helped secure big discounts in land/taxes. Several sites around Luton were considered.
If and when the time comes that the HQ is too small in size or the land is needed within the CTA at Luton then easyJet will move to another site within the surrounding area. The other option that was considered to H89 when easyLand became to small was a large industrial unit next to Luton Parkway station that is now home of the printing site for Express newspapers.
Land around West Sussex is more expensive than up in Bedfordshire. easyJet had the option of taking on The Beehive when it took over GB Airways and did not. Of course there are some functions already at Gatwick and some functions will grow there but an airline's hq has no need to be at it's biggest hub... Ryanair's, Flybe, Thomson, Monarch, Wizzair seem to agree with this idea.

The whole idea of easyJet supporting Heathrow's expansion is to protect it's slots and market share at Gatwick. If a third runway is built at Gatwick then easyJet are the biggest losers with increased competition and the value of their slots diminish. If Heathrow is the winner then easyJet protects its position as number 1 in Gatwick and gets to cherry pick routes at Heathrow probably with flights in from other bases.

compton3bravo
10th Apr 2015, 07:13
Aer Ryan - sorry but Gatwick will not get a second runway or Heathrow a third, they will not be given the go-ahead especially in the present political climate. If the SNP hold the balance of power - more than likely - or even the Lib Dems -after the general election I do not think building a third runway in the south east of England will be one of their main priorities. I was around when Gatwick opened in the 1950s and some 60 years later it is still not operating to full capacity.
Plus I also believe ´´Boris Island´´ is a non-starter.

LNIDA
10th Apr 2015, 11:24
I guess it all depends who sits in number 10 and with who's support.

Its worth remembering that Labour planned to go ahead with a new LHR runway had they been re-elected in 2010 given that its likely they (Labour) would require SNP support to Govern I can't see that the SNP would block a new runway at either LGW/LHR or both.

It would be more difficult for a Tory/Liberal alliance for sure.

Fairdealfrank
10th Apr 2015, 23:22
I can see it happening when easyJet take over almost all of the South Terminal.

I'm pretty sure it is the North terminal they are moving to and I can't see all of the U2 management with their Hertfordfordshire homes moving to LGW. They're not going to commute accross London every day.
Isn't U2 at LGW too much airline for one just terminal, like BA at LHR-3 and LHR-5?

Gatwick want secure a large airline for when the third runway at Heathrow goes ahead (Decision made but won't be publicised until some time after the elections).
Very optimistic! Agree that it makes sense, but are you sure about this?

Gatwick will offer cheaper land for the HQ to be built on, as well as airport fee reductions. In return, Easy Jet will keep Gatwick as their main hub for years to come and will not operate and "major" operations from Heathrow.

The whole idea of easyJet supporting Heathrow's expansion is to protect it's slots and market share at Gatwick. If a third runway is built at Gatwick then easyJet are the biggest losers with increased competition and the value of their slots diminish. If Heathrow is the winner then easyJet protects its position as number 1 in Gatwick and gets to cherry pick routes at Heathrow probably with flights in from other bases.
In the event of a third LHR rwy, no routine delays and oodles of capacity, think that U2 would find the lure of free slots there too much to resist, especially as (1) there’s loads of money to be made at LHR (without the overheads of slot costs) with its wealthy catchment area to the west of London; (2) it’s chasing business pax of which plenty use LHR; and (3) FR has stated that it will never operate from LHR (and FRA), so a major rival is out of the way.

All speculation of course.

easyflyer83
11th Apr 2015, 08:21
Easyjer moves lock stock to North Terminal from October 2016.

LTNman
11th Apr 2015, 14:24
Might be the case that they eventually consolidate their 4 London bases to just 2 with Luton being their northern base.

They don't seem to be showing much interest in Stansted with gradual cut backs these days and Southend seems to be causing them operational difficulties on a to regular bases cause by either fog, a short runway meaning extra fuel stops or Southend not being open for easyjet operations 24/7 so late arrivals often get diverted.

Expressflight
11th Apr 2015, 15:50
LTNman

It's easy to overstate the SEN 'problems' as the CAA stats show that in 2014 there were 12 inbound ATMs diverted from SEN, not all of which would be easyJet flights. Not really "operational difficulties on a too regular basis ...." I would suggest.

Equally, late arrivals do not "often get diverted" because nowadays Cat 6 fire cover is available H24 on 30 minutes notice and, as you know, SEN is promulgated H24 in all other respects.

SEN does have its limitations but they need to be kept in proportion I feel.

doo
16th Apr 2015, 20:25
easy got any widebody plans?

fa2fi
16th Apr 2015, 20:44
No.

easyflyer83
16th Apr 2015, 21:19
Not that I'm aware of. I fully expect A321's at some point in the future but not wide bodies.

DashQ4
22nd Apr 2015, 18:46
Does anyone know if easyJet are staying with Menzies at LGW for the full renewal term or dumping them?

strawberry Ribena
23rd Apr 2015, 22:53
No doubt there will be an escape clause, but who could take them on? Airline services?

paully
24th Apr 2015, 08:00
The ones they need to dump are those clowns they use in the Canaries with the anything but name of `Clever`............that they aint :ugh:

kar42
24th Apr 2015, 09:05
Although Clever are at Lanzarote (ACE) ,Easyjet use someone else. Swissport/Menzies?

paully
24th Apr 2015, 12:16
They use this mob in FUE..last month they sent the pax down the bridge,as far as the cord across, but no one with them..Cabin crew had to come up the bridge to see where we were, then had to get the despatcher to come and release the pax for boarding..that was after the 1 hour wait to get through a bag drop :ugh:...didn`t get a tug organised resulting in the flight crew having to get one organised via Luton Ops..result...slot missed..long wait

They make the others look professional:{

The96er
24th Apr 2015, 12:22
I'm afraid that when it comes to Ground handling, Easyjet get what they pay for - i.e very little. So don't expect a Rolls-Royce service until EZY are prepared to pay the going rate for Ground handling.

paully
24th Apr 2015, 15:46
This effort wasn`t even worthy of the monkeys, no matter how few the peanuts!!

toledoashley
12th May 2015, 10:47
According to the half year results, 186 seat 320's will be introduced from May 2016 with existing fleet retrofitted.

adfly
12th May 2015, 12:14
Ouch! What sort of seat pitch will that give?

mockingjay
12th May 2015, 12:24
15 of the seats will be 28", the rest 29" or 30". Seat width is 18" with the new slimline seats so personal space will still be good and will exceed the competition in many instances and every aisle seat has a movable armrest so space should actually be ok.

MANFOD
12th May 2015, 12:29
Sorry, but I don't regard 28 or 29" seat pitch as good personal space, especially on the longer sectors. For those of us 6ft or over, even 31" can be tight.

mockingjay
12th May 2015, 12:42
It might not be great but it's certainly no less than other airlines on most of the routes they fly. BA A320 cabin has similar legroom but with narrower seats and worse seats that recline. There will still be 18 seats available with extra legroom available for purchase should your personal needs or preferences dictate that you need an extra legroom seat.

ELondonPax
12th May 2015, 13:57
BA squeeze 168 seats into the A320 as well - and 171 into a few of their fleet.

yoland
14th May 2015, 08:52
Easyjet to add six additional seats on the A320 fleet. Fantastic news for SARDINES!!!!!!!!

paully
14th May 2015, 09:15
Already discussed on the Easyjet thread

fa2fi
14th May 2015, 10:31
Not really. A toilet is being moved, an additional six seats are to be put in its place.

Hotel Tango
14th May 2015, 10:56
One of the problems with airlines getting away with this tight and potentially dangerous seat pitch is that most people bitch but just accept it. I have said for a long time that there should be some sort of international legislation restricting seat pitch to an absolute minimum of 32". Yes, fares will increase slightly, so what?! 28" is plain ridiculous, unsafe and unhealthy.

supermarine
14th May 2015, 11:23
Six seats instead of a khazi, wow squeezy

yeo valley
14th May 2015, 12:05
with the a 320 doing the long routes, can see a few medical problems coming here. 28 inch pitch not good.

mockingjay
14th May 2015, 13:14
Well the charters have been operating long flights at minimal legroom for years and hasn't caused any problems on the type of routes EASYJET will fly these aircraft on. Seat pitch of 28" is widely regarded by A and B as safe and is deemed safe and legal by the authorities. In fact some TATL charters by Finnair have been operated by 28" pitched cabins.

As mentioned a small proportion will be 28", most will be the same as British Airways A320's at 29" or 30". For those who need or prefer extra legroom seats they can be purchased. Some seats on the current fleet are 28" and I've never been made aware of any health issues caused by that.

As with all things you have a choice. If the product or offering of one airline doesn't fit your demands and needs fly another airline.

Hotel Tango
14th May 2015, 13:42
If the product or offering of one airline doesn't fit your demands and needs fly another airline.

Which is exactly what I do! Nevertheless I disagree that 28" is safe. Have you any idea how many people develop blood clots from flying in cramped conditions? It generally won't be felt on the flight itself, unless it's a long sector. Even then most people are not aware that they have developed the problem until a day or two later. This problem will never be identified as an in-flight medical issue and is therefore arguably conveniently ignored by both the airlines and the aviation authorities. Something being "legal" mockingjay does not necessarily qualify it as good.

mockingjay
14th May 2015, 14:03
I never said it was good but just because something isn't good does not it make it "ridiculous, unsafe and unhealthy" Hotel Tango.

Airlines have the right to configure aircraft however suits them so long as it meets regulatory requirements and is approved by the OEM.

A lack of of an inch or two of legroom is the least of your worries. Morons gathering their personal items will kill you long before a couple of inches less of legroom will.

Hotel Tango
14th May 2015, 15:01
mockingjay, There comes a time in any debate where the parties involved just have to agree to disagree. I note your opinion but at the same time remain resolute in mine.

Dannyboy39
14th May 2015, 19:17
IAW a CAP (which number escapes me), there are stricter rules for legroom on UK registered aircraft, typically resulting in an extra row of seats needing to be removed from aircraft being transferred operator from other EU countries, so unless easyJet plan on registering a number of their aircraft abroad, these fears are unfounded.

hampshireandy
17th May 2015, 20:28
Where are they moving the toilet to in order to accomodate the extra seats, outside?!

AppleMacster
17th May 2015, 20:40
Where are they moving the toilet to in order to accomodate the extra seats, outside?!

It's a redesign of the rear of the aircraft interior:

A320 Space-Flex (http://videos.airbus.com/video/caddcd800f2s.html)