PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet - 4

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19

VickersVicount
27th Oct 2013, 19:03
is that the UK regional expansion from EZY over for next season or is there any more to come ?

PIK3141
27th Oct 2013, 20:24
hundredpercentplease
If you do work for easyJet perhaps you could consider the following:-
EZY6918 25th Oct Basel to EDI. Aircraft arrives Basel 30 minutes late. Gate staff start people queueing before aircraft on stand. The passengers did not start it, the gate agents did. Maybe to get flight turned round quicker, understandably. Did I hear the Captain say reason for delay was ground handling at EDI before departure ? Anyway, we board. Because we're late we have to take another 30 minute delay awaiting a slot. Depart 1 hour late.
Arrive EDI. No groundstaff. We wait onboard 15 minutes for ground staff to bother to show up. Menzies on steps, so Menzies handling ? So why don't you get a handler who is prepared to meet aircraft on arrival ? Remember the aircraft was late out of EDI to begin with. Or with-hold payment ? On EDI thread another says it's an 'Edinburgh thing'. Then into UKBA. Too small for purpose, too few staff even though all desks staffed, too long a queue. Bad experience for our foreign visitors, and me. BTW, your aircraft is now running 1 hour 15 minutes late at least due the compounding of 3 delays. An unsatisfactory arrival experience, which is what one remembers rather than the satisfactory flight itself.
So, get EDI handing sorted out, avoid missing slots, avoid 'making up time' enroute thus flying at a more expensive Cost Index and burning your profit, and avoid having your Captain PA that he is embarrassed. Over to you ?

True Blue
27th Oct 2013, 20:33
Maybe it is what they are used to after years of un-allocated seating. I find that I cannot hang around to the end to board as luggage in the cabin is now a real problem. All the LCC flights I have taken recently, 6, all have had problems with too much luggage in the cabin. Not all with Ezy. This is now a real issue as pax try to avoid the huge fees charged to check in a bag.

TB

Mr A Tis
27th Oct 2013, 22:35
What would encourage me to fly EZY again ?

Sensible baggage charges
No "boarding" until aircraft is on gate & ready

Let me know when you've sorted it. :)

pamann
27th Oct 2013, 22:44
You do realise that you don't have to join the heard and queue? You have a seat number so why would you?

pilothouse
27th Oct 2013, 22:55
Because, pamann, what was a seat fight has now become a cabin baggage fight. Anything to make passengers move fast and keep the turnrounds short.

Plus herd instinct, plus habit.

Plus often you just cannot avoid it, because you are forced to join the back of a queue by a closing gate. Try and stay seated upstairs in the corridor at AMS and you will be barred as the gate closes, so at STD-30 you have no option but to move on and join the standing throng.

EcamSurprise
27th Oct 2013, 23:50
For those of us who have to fly every weekend, Plus cards make all the difference!

HundredPercentPlease
28th Oct 2013, 16:55
pilothouse,

I (I suspect) am the same as you - a long term Capt that does a few other bits and bobs. I just get to see the operation rather than change it...

My point about "once a year" is that it will take time for pax to realise that there is no need to queue. I don't think that any airline exploits the queue, but in order to avoid delay we (like others) are keen on getting our ground handlers to be "efficient" with pax handling. Obviously the goal is to have the pax near to the a/c and ready to get on just a few seconds before the crew are ready.

However, you are absolutely correct about the quality of the ground staff contractors. In some stations it works very well, in others there is a lot to be done. My heart sinks when we arrive on a bussing stand in a hot destination only to see the outbound pax already sitting on a bus waiting.

We have done much to improve the product inside the a/c doors; we are all now working on the ground handling. It will get better!

davidjohnson6
28th Oct 2013, 17:07
My heart sinks when we arrive on a bussing stand in a hot destination only to see the outbound pax already sitting on a bus waiting.From the point of view of a passenger, it's nice to know that the 2 people in the pointy end realises SLF are humans rather than animals being sent to an abattoir.

As someone who gets paid to sit in the pointy end, why do you personally really care if there's a bunch of punters stuck in a hot bus in summer or waiting in an outdoor cage while snow is falling mid-winter ? Means at the very least that you get to fly again quickly with a much lower risk of hanging around waiting for a new slot to be granted. The less time an aircraft spends on the ground, the earlier you get to go home without spending time at work unpaid. Ultimately as long as there is nothing like killing children to sacrifice their blood to the OTP deity going on, what the handling agent does is not the problem of the people who do the flying.

If there's a delay to a flight, it's a very simple matter of just reading a generic series of lines "Terribly sorry for the delay but we had a problem with some paperwork" - passengers won't have a clue as to what's really behind the delay and you can take it off your list of things to worry about.

</Cynic mode=off>

pilothouse
28th Oct 2013, 17:56
Hundredpercent

Yes it does indeed look as if we are indeed singing from the same hymnsheet after all that!

David

With rare exceptions, you might be absolutely amazed by just how much we "at the pointy end" do care. It hurts us unbelievably to see passengers treated like cattle or subjected to indignities or unexplained delays. When we see injustice and inefficiency, we try and show our concern, attempt practical steps to improve things on the day and, later send in our reports.

We are ambassadors for our companies and want our passengers to enjoy our flights, indeed our entire company product. Cabin crew do of course care a huge amount too, but their actions though laudable are necessarily more limited.

How much we can achieve is largely dependent upon our company. In mine, I might delay boarding for 5 minutes while we muck in and shift a sea of trash from the floor. I don't like to think of you boarding a filthy plane. In another company, I might get disciplined for that. Generally, the more autonomy a crew has, the better they will be at working in your interests and solving your problems.

Remember that when things go wrong, the crew are working so hard that they may not have time to tell you what is going on until later. Also, there is unfortunately an increasing tendency towards minimising information to avoid unfair claims for liability. However a good crew will succeed in reassuring you one way or another.

If ever you get a crew that seems completely ambivalent to the passengers' distress, it is most likely with an airline where every last hint of pro-company morale has been squeezed out of them.

bricquebec
30th Oct 2013, 13:33
We booked easyJet to Budapest with two checked bags, maximum 40kg. On the return we had 43kg, and were threatened with a penalty. So we took out 3kg (of shoes!) which went into my carry on bag. The agent then said that we could check in a third bag free of charge. So I carried my camera and Ipad and took advantage of the offer (this third bag now weighing 8kg). Where, pray, is the logic in that??

Anyone know how this fits with their regulations?

OntimeexceptACARS
30th Oct 2013, 13:47
I fly with EZY maybe 10 sectors a year. Usually very good, even at my home base of GLA where the departure lounge (old international pier 1965-66 build) is creaking a little, and very draughty in winter. That said, the agents at GLA are not too bad.

Contrast with BRS last week, boarding a rammed A319 from gate 15 (out of the trap door at the end ten tin sheds nailed together). Flight called for boarding at 15:50 for the scheduled 16:25 departure. Gulped my Thatchers cider down and marched down the sheds to the gate, where all pax zigzagged within a pen, waiting time around 20 minutes before the doors were opened.

We were still ten minutes late off stand (no issue for me), as the local crew were not ready for pax until ten mins before scheduled.

No beef with the airline as such, just frustrating as SLF having the "herding" treatment when the dispatcher (and maybe the crew talking to the dispatcher) could have managed things better.

Just some $0.02.

strawberry Ribena
30th Oct 2013, 16:39
To reduce the amount of hand luggage on board. It's called volunteer bags. You would have to wait for the other bags you had checked in, might aswell wait for the third.

I know it's stupid to repack for something that would still be checked in:ugh:

edi_local
30th Oct 2013, 17:02
We booked easyJet to Budapest with two checked bags, maximum 40kg. On the return we had 43kg, and were threatened with a penalty. So we took out 3kg (of shoes!) which went into my carry on bag. The agent then said that we could check in a third bag free of charge. So I carried my camera and Ipad and took advantage of the offer (this third bag now weighing 8kg). Where, pray, is the logic in that??

Anyone know how this fits with their regulations?

The agent probably would have gotten in trouble for checking in 2 bags with a total of 43KG when you are only allowed a combined weight of 40KG. To you it's only 3KG, but to the agent and their supervisor/station manager it is 3KG you aren't technically entitled to and is 3KG which could mean they get dragged up to the office for disciplinary action.

The agent was probably told, however, that on a busy flight hand baggage can be checked in free of charge (probably up to 10KG, or something which is no bigger than the standard COB allowance).

I admit it would have made more sense for the agent to say chuck the 3rd bag on FOC before you repacked it, but they are human after all and the waiving of the baggage fee may have slipped their mind and to save face may have decided not to tell yo once you were already repacking the bag. Either that or they didn't realise you had another bag suitable for the hold.

bricquebec
30th Oct 2013, 22:22
Thanks for these thoughts, guys. I had no problem with being pulled for the extra 3kg. I should add that the whole process was handled politely and with humour by both us and the agents together with seven trainee agents who watched the proceedings. Didn't mean to suggest any dissatisfaction with the airline.

Hipennine
31st Oct 2013, 09:14
"
Contrast with BRS last week, boarding a rammed A319 from gate 15 (out of the trap door at the end ten tin sheds nailed together). Flight called for boarding at 15:50 for the scheduled 16:25 departure. Gulped my Thatchers cider down and marched down the sheds to the gate, where all pax zigzagged within a pen, waiting time around 20 minutes before the doors were opened.

We were still ten minutes late off stand (no issue for me), as the local crew were not ready for pax until ten mins before scheduled.

No beef with the airline as such, just frustrating as SLF having the "herding" treatment when the dispatcher (and maybe the crew talking to the dispatcher) could have managed things better"

Couldn't agree more. I've had the misfortune to catch the late evening Newcastle a few times recently. Everytime, herded through the sheds to stand in a snaking queue in a bare depressing hall, up to 30 mins before the aircraft is on the ground, never mind on stand.

pilothouse
31st Oct 2013, 10:54
I use Bristol quite a lot and find the herding of SLF very irritating.

Industry-wide, it does seem that the root cause of ridiculous baggage scenarios and poor boarding timings is indeed the terror of handling agents at the lowest level - terror of being disciplined if they use their discretion or cut things too fine. A little more emphasis on common sense and less use of the stick would work wonders in giving passengers a better experience. But is there any indication that anyone on high is bothered?

Jack1985
31st Oct 2013, 11:49
Speaking from a handlers perspective, our own guidelines for a major loco at Cork is to commence boarding when the final arrival passenger has left the apron which usually is +15 to departure - in the case its a early morning flight or a flight later on in the day (i.e. after a prolonged period on the ground) we board at +20 to +25 before departure depending if the flight is fully loaded or not, and we regularly have in excess of 180 pax on those flights. From my own perspective, handlers at BRS have no excuse for a ''herding'' style boarding when dealing with maximum pax load of 156 on the majority of EZY flights. However guidelines are set by local management, so therein lies the problem.

northbynorthwest
31st Oct 2013, 15:35
......and guess how station managers performance and bonuses are evaluated? It is not just easyJet. I work for a major US carrier, and am very aware that even one minute behind schedule can cause severe admonishment to the station agents.

SouBE
2nd Nov 2013, 13:10
A little more emphasis on common sense and less use of the stick would work wonders in giving passengers a better experience. But is there any indication that anyone on high is bothered?

Our CEO, Carolyn McCall, is going to great lengths to make sure our customers have a good experience (introduction of allocated seating, huge emphasis on OTP, cabin bag guarantee, customer charter etc etc). In turn, local management are accountable for implementing these projects to achieve this. Rather than just whining about things on here, if you feel you have constructive comments and suggestions how we could continue to improve our service levels then I'm sure that Carolyn would be extremely grateful for your feedback.

pilothouse
2nd Nov 2013, 13:17
SouBE

Thank you but I cannot seriously believe that my letter to Customer Relations is really going to make much difference, can you? The profits seem to be rolling in regardless.

More likely to be successful is an avalanche of public online feedback that gets noticed by someone who makes high-level decisions.

By the way, the Cabin Bag Guarantee is just a device to ensure another fight between passengers that gets them scrambling to board, to protect OTP. Please don't tell me that this is a service improvement!

Whining? Well yes, of course, but constructively so. It's difficult not to whine when you experience such undignified and thoughtless treatment.

TSR2
2nd Nov 2013, 13:48
Thank you but I cannot seriously believe that my letter to Customer Relations is really going to make much difference, can you?

You will never know unless you try.

ezycrew
2nd Nov 2013, 16:02
Why would the cabin baggage guarantee cause another fight between passengers when they go under the seat in front of you ?

fa2fi
2nd Nov 2013, 21:44
Yes I'm rather baffled as to how it creates a rush. If it's guaranteed it's guaranteed. Maybe for the larger free of charge cabin bag but it's no different to before, not is it different on other airlines. If there's no space then the bag is offloaded. I commute with eJ 5/6 times a month. Boarding is no more (or less) stressful than boarding a BA flight from the same airport.

flyingtincan
2nd Nov 2013, 22:12
Pilothouse said
"Thank you but I cannot seriously believe that my letter to Customer Relations is really going to make much difference, can you? "

I can tell you that you are wrong with that statement.

EI-BUD
2nd Nov 2013, 22:25
pilothouse; I can't comment much about your letter to customer relations. However, I emailed easyJet and got a nonsense reply, I emailed again and got another, non reply... the issue was as follows for interest sake.

Since easyJet upgraded its website recently, it no longer stores pass port details, i.e. for advanced passenger information, for travelling to/from countries such as Spain. It use to be the case that when you logged into my easyjet, via their website and selected your booking, you could click on enter advanced passenger information, then then as I'd entered before for me and family members it would give each name in a drop down list and I just had to select the appropriate name. This was no matter which computer I logged in from i.e. it was on more than 1 computer I would access the information.

I explained in my email that reinstating this functionality (and BA have it, enter once and it's there for next times) it would save time and make the process more quick and simple. I.e. not having to enter the passport number and other info each time. I printed boarding cards 4 times in 1 week and had on 4 different occasions to enter the same info.

Anyway, the first reply was, this functionality is not available. So I thought captain obvious, that why I emailed. The second reply told me this is not available and if it was in the past it was to do with cookies on my computer. It went on to explain that 'it is necessary that you provide this details when travelling to and from Spain'.

What a nonsense reply. easyJet in my experience is all about making their processes better. But this is all well good internally i.e. they improve processes, but with customer feedback channel, I feel that the receiver of the information either doesnt understand what it actually means or they do not know who internally to pass it to....

Disappointing. Though this seems like a trivial matter, it exemplifies the approach to processing feedback...

EI-BUD

pilothouse
2nd Nov 2013, 22:26
Do I really have to spell this out?

The bag guarantee is for a small bag, smaller than you can seriously use for even a short trip. Thus most people take the largest allowed and just hope that it doesn't get taken from them and put in the hold. To minimise the chances of this happening, they try and get on first and get their bags stowed before the racks are full. The last on get their bags taken from them.

easyJet turnrounds took a big hit after allocated seating was introduced, because passengers saw no need to join the queue and rush aboard. The introduction of the cabin bag guarantee system gets people nice and competitive again. In theory no more bags get put in the hold than before but, now that the new policy is spelt out in bold, passengers are twitchy and want to get on board first. I applaud easyJet's OTP but at what human cost?

I'm in do doubt that easyJet is excellent at responding to specific Customer Relations complaints, but I don't think one small voice will make any difference in this instance.

EI-BUD
2nd Nov 2013, 22:29
pilothouse, I may have missed comments relating to this, I agree the bag guarantee bag is very small in size but if you are a frequent flier, you may consider easyJet plus, it means the previous size bag is guarantee to say on board. I think for a few reasons if you fly remotely frequently easyJet plus is value for money. I get great value from my subscription.

pilothouse
2nd Nov 2013, 22:33
EI-BUD

I think we posted simultaneously. Your first post brings me back to my starting point, that easyJet is fundamentally a good operation at a good price. Your post confirms that everything does not quite join up.

You are not the first to mention Plus. I cannot justify it for my frequency of travel. But would you please explain because I just don't get it, even if you wait and join the end of every queue, don't you find that you still spend too much of your time being penned, and on your feet unable to sit down and do something useful? If not, then maybe I'm just unlucky in my choice of airports.

Get it right by responding sensibly to feedback, and allowing passengers a bit of dignity throughout the experience, and easyJet will be everyone's favourite airline . Genuinely, not like Big Airways that thinks it is when it clearly isn't.

EI-BUD
2nd Nov 2013, 22:48
Others have mentioned that the boarding experience is no different on BA than on easyJet. I think this remark remains true for departures ex BA airports. BA have jetties for the most part. But when you get to airports like LPL and BRS that have heavy LOCO presence, the BA comparison is duff.

I've been to LPL on a Winters night and you are practically outside in the queue before the aircraft has come to the gate. This won't change. There is an immense focus on OTP, to the point where weekly there is a league table of airports stats. Airports need to get the plane away on so punctually. Carolyn makes a point on saying the best performers per week. These stats are used when negotiating and dealing with airports and handling agents. Sadly, with such a lean operation, I dont see any of this changing anytime soon.

EI-BUD

EcamSurprise
3rd Nov 2013, 00:34
easyJet turnrounds took a big hit after allocated seating was introduced, because passengers saw no need to join the queue and rush aboard. The introduction of the cabin bag guarantee system gets people nice and competitive again. I applaud easyJet's OTP but at what human cost?

Interesting that you think that but I haven't seen anything published or noticed anything personally that would suggest turnarounds suffered much at all since allocated seating or got any better with the bag guarantee.
I sit at the pointy end AND commute every weekend with the company.

In fact I remember, right after allocated seating was introduced, being surprised that everyone is still queuing.

The bag guarantee is just a way of making the policy a little more clear and is really a better version of what happened before.
I.e if we have too many pax vs bags checked, some bags will need to go in the hold.

So this new policy just re-affirms that with passengers AND gives them the option of making sure their bag isn't loaded into the hold.

Regarding the PLUS card, I also have one and can only recommend it.
I'm relaxed, I skip queues, I'm the first to board and always have space for my bag... plus if there is pre-boarding (which I don't mind, internet and drink in hand) I always get a seat.

EI-BUD
3rd Nov 2013, 00:57
And you get your choice of seat at no extra cost. Plus there is 10% discount on car parking. Though I have to admit I always can get same deal from the car parking company often...

pilothouse
3rd Nov 2013, 07:34
I'm beginning to think that most of this is all down to airports. I tend to use LPL, MAN, BRS and SXF. Are these notably worse?

I chatted to crews after allocated seating was introduced and they despaired about the sluggish turnrounds. Now I've seen boarding after the new cabin baggage policy, the rush seems to be back. Merely my observations.

If you have Plus, can you always get to the front? I've noticed that some corridors are jammed, and by people who do not want you to get to the front. Is easyJet concerned if you can't get to the front? Go on, sell me one - seriously, I'm interested now!

businessair75
3rd Nov 2013, 20:51
Things aren't perfect, I never would say they were....however.

Guaranteed Bag

There are some folk who just don't want the 'hassle' of having their bag placed in the hold. On very busy flights (very dependent on route and time) it's not/wasn't always possible to accommodate everyones bags. I guess Easyjet could have charged for cabin baggage or enforced a reduced dimension bag. Instead what they say to people is, if you want your bag guaranteed to be kept with you in the cabin on busier flights then you should adopt the guaranteed bag dimensions. That way it will fit under the seat and it will always fly with you. The bag size is bigger than you think.
Even with the bigger bag it the chances of you being parted is fairly slim and in many ways it is just like unallocated seating. Only the last few passengers on very busy flights got sat apart.

N.B if passengers are considerate when stowing carry on baggage then that helps a lot. i.e place coats on top of bags, place carrier bags under the seat, place bags wheels in first etc etc.

Allocated Seating Vs Turnarounds

Easyjet's turn times and OTP is still right up there. I've not noticed any real effect on turnaround times. Some crew, notably those who had only ever known Easyjet, didn't particularly like allocated seating to start with simply because they knew nothing but free seating. And there is sometimes an element of protectionism of the 'old Easyjet' among those who have been there for years.
Customer satisfaction has increased immensely with allocated seating and apart from the odd question about seat locations I really can't tell any difference when boarding on a day to day basis.

Customer Relations

I can't comment on specific experiences but I can assure that feedback about crew, both positive and negative, gets fed back to crew including individuals. Make no mistake about that. You can also e-mail Carolyn direct. Inevitably there will be someone screening the e-mails i'm sure but I know people who have had personal responses and she often comments via her communications about specific feedback she has received.

compton3bravo
19th Nov 2013, 07:02
Excellent results announced this morning -over to you then Sir Stelios!

wallp
19th Nov 2013, 09:34
Brussels & Paris are interesting choices for new routes from Gatwick. I always assumed that others withdrew because they couldn't make money on either route due to the dominance of Eurostar but clearly easyJet see things differently.

The Paris route from Luton seems to work well so good luck to them. It wonder if we might also see Luton-Brussels added at some point too if the Gatwick route proves popular?

davidjohnson6
19th Nov 2013, 10:51
I notice that the sector lengths for much of the expansion at Gatwick this week (not just Brussels/Paris) are rather short. Is this a reflection of the timings of the Flybe slots or rather a corollary of the aircraft ordering saga with Stelios and thus being short of aircraft at the moment ?

wallp
19th Nov 2013, 10:59
I hadn't thought of that but does make sense when you think of the Flybe routes they're replacing. I guess by adding lots of short sector routes they maximise the benefit of the additional slots?

virginblue
19th Nov 2013, 11:37
Arrival and depature slots must fit. So you cannot use slots used by BE for flights to JER or NQY for flights to Egypt or Greece. Of course you can combine as much as you like with the pool of slots you have, but without wrecking your whole network there are probably limits to what makes sense.

ReallyAnnoyed
21st Nov 2013, 14:41
New route SXF-TLV announced thrice weekly from February 2014.

insuindi
27th Nov 2013, 09:56
Following 10 new routes ex HAM for summer 2014, 4 of which seasonal.

MXP, VCE, CTA, NAP
NCE
SPU
PMI, IBZ
ATH
CPH

EDIT: Relatively low-key affair though, CPH 7/7, MXP 6/7, PMI 5/7, VCE 3/7, NCE 3/7, Rest 2/7. Some small changes to frequenciues between high season July and August and the other months.

MKY661
28th Nov 2013, 01:33
Does anyone know if any aircraft are leaving the fleet this winter? :)

munrobagger
28th Nov 2013, 09:10
Can someone tell me the previous rotations for the craft which forms the Monday EDinburgh / Tenerife departing 1410 ; also I assume its an A320 ?

Seljuk22
29th Nov 2013, 16:50
Regarding HAM there were expectations (hopes) of more business routes like ZRH, VIE, CDG, BCN, MAD or eatern european cities like WAW, PRG, BUD, SOF to be announced. Therfore a bit disappinting that there are only MXP and CPH. The rest is more leisure with a 3rd a/c to come next summer. Routes for this a/c to be announced next spring (guess also leisure routes). Maybe more business orientated routes for winter 2014/2015.

Fairdealfrank
29th Nov 2013, 18:22
pilothouse; I can't comment much about your letter to customer relations. However, I emailed easyJet and got a nonsense reply, I emailed again and got another, non reply... the issue was as follows for interest sake.

Since easyJet upgraded its website recently, it no longer stores pass port details, i.e. for advanced passenger information, for travelling to/from countries such as Spain. It use to be the case that when you logged into my easyjet, via their website and selected your booking, you could click on enter advanced passenger information, then then as I'd entered before for me and family members it would give each name in a drop down list and I just had to select the appropriate name. This was no matter which computer I logged in from i.e. it was on more than 1 computer I would access the information.

I explained in my email that reinstating this functionality (and BA have it, enter once and it's there for next times) it would save time and make the process more quick and simple. I.e. not having to enter the passport number and other info each time. I printed boarding cards 4 times in 1 week and had on 4 different occasions to enter the same info.

Anyway, the first reply was, this functionality is not available. So I thought captain obvious, that why I emailed. The second reply told me this is not available and if it was in the past it was to do with cookies on my computer. It went on to explain that 'it is necessary that you provide this details when travelling to and from Spain'.

Sounds like the first reply was taking the piss!

What a nonsense reply. easyJet in my experience is all about making their processes better. But this is all well good internally i.e. they improve processes, but with customer feedback channel, I feel that the receiver of the information either doesnt understand what it actually means or they do not know who internally to pass it to....

Disappointing. Though this seems like a trivial matter, it exemplifies the approach to processing feedback...

No, it is an important point, APIS is required for many countries.

Perhaps you should put this on social media, apparently doing so usually illicits sensible responses from high-up management. Cannot state which one, as once saved the word is changed to PPRUNE (copyright issues?), but am thinking of the one with the bird.

I can't comment on specific experiences but I can assure that feedback about crew, both positive and negative, gets fed back to crew including individuals. Make no mistake about that. You can also e-mail Carolyn direct. Inevitably there will be someone screening the e-mails i'm sure but I know people who have had personal responses and she often comments via her communications about specific feedback she has received.

On the other hand, perhaps try this first......

AIRPORT66
29th Nov 2013, 18:28
What ass hole within easyjet is giving all of there ground handling operation to swissport they are the biggest load of crap.

The96er
29th Nov 2013, 21:25
What ass hole within easyjet is giving all of there ground handling operation to swissport they are the biggest load of crap.

One reason and one reason only - they're prepared to do it cheaper !

Seljuk22
8th Dec 2013, 04:40
1st April: LGW-TLV 3 weekly
Latest news - easyJet plc (http://corporate.easyjet.com/media/latest-news/news-year-2013/05-12-2013-en-a.aspx?sc_lang=en)

On 31st October 2013 EZY ordered another 6 A320.

By 30th November 2013 there were 153 A319 and 64 A320 in operation with 150 A320 on order.

strawberry Ribena
8th Dec 2013, 21:37
lgw-bgo route is no longer bookable after 01 June. No surprise really, loads hardly ever hit triple figures...

LAX_LHR
8th Dec 2013, 22:06
LGW-AMM replaced by TLV.

EI-DAC
12th Dec 2013, 08:49
Press conference in Rome today at 12:00 am, an announcement of a new expansion in Italy.

BFS BHD
12th Dec 2013, 11:26
Any idea what routes may be announced in the press conference in Rome?

GAZMO
12th Dec 2013, 12:03
BFS BHD
maybe FCO to BFS!!!!

HH6702
12th Dec 2013, 12:16
FCO to NCL?

BFS BHD
12th Dec 2013, 12:43
Maybe GAZMO you never no! :)

GAZMO
12th Dec 2013, 12:43
Im sure someone can translate but not BFS or NCL

Tra le nuove destinazioni servite ci saranno anche Praga, Nantes, Minorca e Rodi. "Oltre a questo - prosegue Frances Ouseley, direttore Italia di easyJet - abbiamo aumentato le frequenze di molte delle rotte già esistenti come, ad esempio, 5 nuovi collegamenti settimanali tra Roma Fiumicino e Londra Gatwick, 7 nuovi collegamenti settimanali tra Roma ed Atene e frequenze addizionali su Creta, Palma e Mykonos. Abbiamo aperto la base di Fiumicino nel 2009 e ad oggi sono basati 6 aeromobili. Questo piano di espansione vedrà aumentare i passeggeri easyJet da e per la capitale ad oltre 4 milioni l’anno".

BFS BHD
12th Dec 2013, 12:49
Among the new destinations served there will also be Prague, Nantes, Menorca and Rhodes. "In addition to this - says Frances Ouseley, Italian director of easyJet - we have increased the frequencies of many of the existing routes such as, for example, 5 new weekly flights between Rome Fiumicino Airport and London Gatwick, 7 new weekly flights between Rome and Athens and frequencies additional on Crete, Mykonos and Palma. Fiumicino We opened the base in 2009 and today there are 6 based aircraft. This expansion plan will increase easyJet passengers to and from the capital to over 4 million a year. "

racedo
12th Dec 2013, 13:03
Must admit had expected Easyjet to have opened up a lot more flights at FCO.
Are they holding something back ?

HH6702
12th Dec 2013, 14:58
Awaiting for AZ to fail

chaps2011
12th Dec 2013, 17:44
What with? I thought most aircraft already accounted for with extra flights ex LGW

Chaps

eu01
12th Dec 2013, 19:36
Awaiting for AZ to fail
And indeed denying any interest in the company
EasyJet Chief Executive Carolyn McCall on Thursday denied the British airline's possible interest in taking a stake in Alitalia. The EasyJet CEO thus quashed the hypothesis that it might be among the participants in a 300-million-euro capital increase being raised by Italy's troubled flagship carrier. "We do not invest in airline companies because we are an airline company," said McCall. "It is not part of our plans. Our model is clear and any cooperation or codesharing would complicate things. At the moment we have no intention of complicating life," McCall said.:ok: (the news published in Gazzetta del Sud (http://www.gazzettadelsud.it/news/72573/EasyJet-CEO-denies-interest-in-Alitalia.html))

EI-BUD
12th Dec 2013, 20:21
EZY are being extremely cautious about the invasion of FCO by Vueling and Ryanair. The game is not over for Alitalia, and if history is anything to go by it won't be for a while yet.

Ezy will sit tight and consolidate what they have, moreover, Carolyn has reiterated the long term importance of the FCO base, quite like MXP they will wait for further developments before proceeding ...

racedo
12th Dec 2013, 21:12
So Carolyn is saying exactly same as Michael.......................NOTHING, just answering a question to say nothing in a way to make it seem like they saying something.

wallp
21st Dec 2013, 09:10
I'm staggered by the level of demand to Geneva at this time of year. From Luton alone, easyJet have 10 flights today. Geneva airport must be a sea of orange on winter weekends

compton3bravo
21st Dec 2013, 09:38
They have been doing up to 10 flights to Geneva on Saturdays from Luton for a number of years. I am sure they would not be doing that if there wasn´t the demand.

wallp
21st Dec 2013, 10:49
I was aware the route was very popular at this time of year & has been for a number of years, I'm just amazed that there's so much demand.

strawberry Ribena
21st Dec 2013, 15:17
Same amount of flights at lgw. The frequencies are like a bus service!

wallp
22nd Dec 2013, 13:09
What chance I wonder that easyJet might pick up the IOM & JER routes recently axed by Flybe from LTN?

I know EZY did have a go at the LTN-JER a while back & gave it up but perhaps a seasonal 2/3 times weekly service could be made to work?

Similarly IOM isn't served from an airport to the North of London now. With only flights to IOM from LGW & LCY that probably appeal to different passenger markets than the one that typically uses LTN, could this offer another route opportunity perhaps?

EMX81L
22nd Dec 2013, 23:05
Flybe struggled to fill a Q400 on IOMLTN, I don't think that route warrants an A319. Smaller aircraft than a Q400 would work better.

Then you have the LGW. The summer schedule is not ideal for the suits on the island, which is why BA Cityflyer have stepped their schedule back up to 3xDaily M-F, the aircraft type is still to be confirmed.

What I do think would work is a series of Sun routes through the summer and from the IOMTT.

Albastar operated on behalf of Thomas Cook through August this year, and the loads were very impressive, talking 160px on average each week. We have a local travel agent who Flybe work with during the summer, and the vast majority of weeks, the Q400 is full as can be. That was with Albastar/TCX operating at the same time.

I'm just not sure what sort of schedule it would be, 1/2 per week tops.

Just a thought.

mikkie4
24th Dec 2013, 00:12
EZY MALAGA-SOUTHEND-JUST LANDED AT LIVERPOOL,01:00 Weather must be bad at STANSTED/LUTON for this flight to have diverted half way across the country

Ringwayman
24th Dec 2013, 00:41
It's just 1 of 10 easyJets that have diverted to LPL tonight -the rest were from Gatwick MAN got 1 on a mayday (apparently).

figgi_gsm
24th Dec 2013, 01:34
A few have even diverted to AMS!

pabely
24th Dec 2013, 13:33
At least they are trying to sort things out....

Latest Travel Info

Updated 24/12/2013

Summary

Gatwick Airport North Terminal power failure – Situational Update
Gatwick Airport has suffered a power failure which has resulted in delays and disruption to aircraft departing from the North terminal this morning. In addition strong winds and diversions overnight have resulted in aircraft being out of position for today’s schedule. easyJet is advising all passengers due to depart London Gatwick today to check our flight tracker http://www.easyjet.com/en/flight-tracker (https://ftadmin.neworange.co.uk/FlightTracker?ReturnUrl=%2fen%2fflight-tracker%2fAdmin)on the easyJet website or mobile app for the latest information. easyJet is doing everything possible to fly as much of the programme as we can and will cancel flights as a last option only. Passengers affected by delays and disruption are being kept updated via text messages, staff at the airport and via the website. We will continue to work with Gatwick Airport on contingency plans to minimise disruption for our passengers. Whilst this issue is outside of easyJet’s control, we apologise to passengers for any inconvenience caused and are doing everything possible to get people home for Christmas.

Seljuk22
25th Dec 2013, 08:48
06MAR MXP-TLV 3 weekly
31MAR FCO-PRG daily
01APR FCO-NTE 3 weekly

mikkie4
27th Dec 2013, 23:29
NEWQUEY & EDIN DROPPED FROM FROM SUMMER TIMETABLE FROM SOUTHEND ON TOP OF BELFAST, MAYBE EXTRA AMST,BERLINs MAY TAKE THEIR PLACE

racedo
28th Dec 2013, 03:17
Mikkie

ALL CAPS is shouting at people.
We can hear you without shouting.

paully
28th Dec 2013, 09:03
Yes, but easier to read :bored:

FRatSTN
28th Dec 2013, 12:40
It would seem the domestic routes do not work well from Southend. To be honest I'm surprised they've kept the 2x weekly Jersey service now it goes 3x daily from Gatwick. Amsterdam seems to be a strong route with up to 3 flights per day.

It's really quite frustrating though! What we have seen with the BFS and now the EDI route is frequencies cut at Stansted as they start operating the route at Southend to then be axed with the capacity not put back into Stansted.

Now I've said this before so I know this is going to anger quite a lot of people but I'm going to say it again regardless...

EasyJet is probably going to attract little more than very local predominantly outbound leisure passengers going on popular sun, ski or city break holidays. It's a market that Southend covers very well and I'm sure will continue to do so for a very long time. But I continue to question the viability of such routes if EasyJet were to continue the likes of Alicante or Faro from Stansted.

The lack of a rail service in the morning and late evening periods is off putting to business/commuter travellers not to mention that Southend is the furthest from Central London even if it is only by 10 minutes. Furthermore the range of facilities such as hotel, car parking, transportation, shopping or business lounge options are much more limited when compared to Gatwick, Stansted etc. which further reduces the appeal to such passengers.

I believe that within time EasyJet's growth at Southend will stagnate. Maybe we are already reaching this stage. The airport will become more orientated by popular European sun, ski and city break destinations. This is already evident by the routes we have seen introduced and axed more recently at the airport.

wallp
28th Dec 2013, 15:13
Perhaps the JER route would do better from LTN than SEN?

I know they tried the route once before but perhaps 2 or 3 flights per week during summer might stand a chance from LTN providing a North London gateway to complement the LGW flights.

LTN needs a new operator to JER so why not EZY?

racedo
28th Dec 2013, 15:55
I believe that within time EasyJet's growth at Southend will stagnate. Maybe we are already reaching this stage. The airport will become more orientated by popular European sun, ski and city break destinations. This is already evident by the routes we have seen introduced and axed more recently at the airport.

People can travel from North / South / East and West to all the London airports............not applicable at SEN so by its very nature it is constrained.

Nextprop
28th Dec 2013, 16:03
It would seem the domestic routes do not work well from Southend.

Clearly the principal reason why EDI and BFS have failed is owing to a lack of early morning / late night rail services rather than insufficient demand. This is something which the airport needs to urgently resolve. I have no doubt attempts have been made, yet already it is having an adverse impact on the success of easyJet's services from SEN. Naturally the holiday routes are less dependent on rail connectivity, hence why early morning departure / late night arrival times have not precluded their success.

EasyJet is probably going to attract little more than very local predominantly outbound leisure passengers going on popular sun, ski or city break holidays.

Why?

If the profile of routes matches this, why is this necessarily a problem? As long as there are adequate connections to London, I see absolutely no reason why a small, easy to transit through airport will not be appealing for inbound passengers and passengers from the wider London area. From the airport own surverys, 30% of the passengers originated from London in 2012. Anecdotally the AMS service has a considerable customer base of Netherlands originating passengers.

I believe that within time EasyJet's growth at Southend will stagnate.

Well that's a given! Clearly Southend will only ever be a regional airport, the potential for growth is limited. For the time being however, Southend has a useful purpose for easyJet. A lack of direct competition from Ryanair is a very strong reason to transfer routes across. Both ALC and BCN performed well from SEN in 2012 when they were operated by easyJet from STN too. Surely the initial success of these routes was a pre-requisite for the complete transfer of these routes?

FRatSTN
28th Dec 2013, 18:05
Clearly the principal reason why EDI and BFS have failed is owing to a lack of early morning / late night rail services rather than insufficient demand.

Naturally the holiday routes are less dependent on rail connectivity, hence why early morning departure / late night arrival times have not precluded their success.

I see your point but the lack of rail services at these times ultimately results in insufficient demand. The fact rail services to London take longer than from other airports, even if only by 10 minutes and are on a general commuter service rather than an airport service like the Gatwick or Stansted Express is also likely to effect appeal to business passengers.

Also as I mentioned the more limited options in terms of hotels, car parking, transportation, shopping or business lounge services also is likely to impact.

You are definitely right in saying holiday routes are less dependant on rail services, not to mention all those other facilities so they of course as it would seem perform much better.

If the profile of routes matches this, why is this necessarily a problem?

Because EasyJet have clearly come in with an intention to serve both domestic and business travel alongside leisure passengers and have been unsuccessful to a degree. They are now more limited to focusing on leisure based destinations which limits and reduces growth opportunities for the future.

Whilst this is much less of a consideration, it means some aircraft may have to operate quite inefficient schedules whereby the last flight may arrive at only 8 or 9pm or the first doesn't leave until 9 or 10am as there are very few short sector flights remaining. This can result into what is known as "slot sitting" where often shorter flights are scheduled simply as it is more profitable to fly something rather than nothing at all, not necessarily because the level of demand requires it. This maybe what is happening to the Amsterdam route when it goes to 3x daily in the spring.

Surely the initial success of these routes was a pre-requisite for the complete transfer of these routes?

The reality is there is one of two reasons to explain this:

1. There is not sufficient demand to support the viability of services on these routes from both airports

2. EasyJet is squeezing naturally healthier yields out of Southend by forcing this area of the market (predominantly Essex) to use Southend by closing duplicate routes at Stansted (in other words, people who would have chosen Stansted for these routes now have to go to Southend since they no longer have the choice to use Stansted if they continue to use EasyJet).

Take your pick, but my vote goes to the 2nd one. EasyJet used to fly easily up to 3x daily on Alicante, Faro etc. from Stansted alone only 2/3 years ago and now only once or twice daily from Southend. There is certainly enough demand to support the viability of these routes at both airports. Instead EasyJet clearly just chooses not to for strategic reasons.

Barling Magna
28th Dec 2013, 18:18
I've had cause to disagree with some of FRatSTN's comments about SEN in the past, but I must say that I broadly agree with his analysis of the EZY situation at SEN and STN. Bucket and spade routes will be the main successes from SEN, and I think these routes will be able to sustain EZY's operations from the airport. They could also try more routes to eastern Europe and Scandinavia but, again, these will mainly be leisure routes.

I also think the route to EDI would work better if the trains were available. Apparently SEN will struggle to get Network Rail to agree to allow trains to operate earlier and later because they say they need the night hours for maintenance of the track. Seems daft to me, but apparently that's the reason. So why don't SEN run an effective coach service to Stratford and Liverpool Street early and late in the day?

Nextprop
28th Dec 2013, 19:36
I appreciate your response, and having looked back and read some of your many previous posts about easyJet and SEN vs STN, I don't wish to start another extended debate here.

To reiterate, my fundamental point here is that from the wider London area there is huge demand for easyJet services to EDI and BFS. If early morning / late night train services to SEN become availible, I see no reason why a business traveler friendly schedule to both destinations from Southend would not be successful.

Although by no means perfect, I maintain that business traveler friendly routes have the potential to be a significant part of easyJet's operations from SEN. Much like LCY, short transit times are appreciated by business travelers and travel times to Central London (and especially Stratford and Canary Wharf) are competitive. I don't regard SENs hotel, car parking or business lounge facilities as detrimental for business travelers. The lack of success of the EDI and BFS routes, primarily owing to a lack of connectivity is not in my view sufficient evidence to write SEN off as an in effect 'leisure only' airport for easyJet.

I don't feel this is an unreasonable position - and to avoid clogging what is the easyJet thread, FRastSTN please feel free to send a private message if you want to debate this further.

FRatSTN
28th Dec 2013, 20:57
I think everybody should have the option to comment on this should they choose to so will post here publically as usual. I would not say a debate that is very relevant to the various markets and operations of EasyJet is clogging the thread.

The point I think you may be missing is that in any case, short transit times is not an appreciation but most often a fundamental aspect of business travel. This is reflected in EasyJet's choice of airports across it's entire network by it's strategy of using primary airports in close proximity to the city they serve.

I don't regard SENs hotel, car parking or business lounge facilities as detrimental for business travellers.

Neither do I but the point is that the larger airports have a far greater range of services aimed at different travel markets with various options available that best suit ones needs. Remember that business travellers are much less flexible than leisure and often have very specific needs which based on this, the larger airports are more likely to meet.

No one is suggesting that Southend's provision of services and facilities is detrimental but it lacks that same level of choice. In modern day aviation travel one of the most crucial aspects for a successful and profitable operation is to provide choice! This is especially applicable to business travel to suit those very specific needs!

This is why I was initially very displeased and still am to a certain degree that EasyJet cut so much capacity at Stansted, because it was taking the choice away from consumers!!

The nature of Southend mainly due to its size is that the choice of services and facilities provided cannot and will not be on par with those at the other London airports. That is why all that demand you mention to BFS and EDI from the wider London area who do have a choice of four airports are not choosing Southend!

The fact of the matter is that the rail services are unlikely to change and whilst that is likely to adversely effect the appeal to business travel, I think the root of the issue goes much further than early morning rail services from the capital.

EI-BUD
29th Dec 2013, 00:14
The comments that suggest that the EZY SEN - BFS route has failed due the lack of an early morning train service are complete tosh in my view . The greatest demand on flights between these two cities in the morning is originating in Belfast. Therefore I contend to properly assess if a BFS SEN route is viable, a BFS based unit should have operated the route with say a 0630/0640 departure.

Personally, I sense that there is some work yet to do in convincing the travelling public that SEN is a credible alternative to the more established London airports. In the mean time easyJet is getting good uptake on leisure orientated routes by locals . The specific data will be known by easyJet ... Who are in a position to diagnose the actual position

The suggestion that AerLingus Regional are to develop some of these shorter routes needs to be given consideration , however the brand is strongly identified for flying to / from Ireland (aer Lingus) , and therefore the airport should perhaps ensure the correct brand is chosen/ attracted . As if these routes don't work if will be difficult to restart them in future .

Barling Magna
29th Dec 2013, 09:28
The argument may be academic anyway. According to a reply to someone on the EZY FB page asking if the EDI route would stop in June:

easyJet wrote: "Hi Neil, according to the information we have this route will still be available all year long. Hope this helps, Clarissa."

Now I know that the EZY guys replying to FB requests don't have the full picture by any means, but I would have thought that she would have said that she did not know the answer rather than what she did.

Certainly the load factors (not yield, I know....) in December have been high on the SEN-EDI flights.

In reply to another chap asking if any new routes were to be offered from SEN during 2014 EZY replied:

"Hello John, Yes, we do. Please keep an eye on our profile as we'll keep you informed as soon as we have an update."

So, make of those replies what you will.....

Barling Magna
29th Dec 2013, 11:31
And now from the EZY FB site:
easyJet (https://www.facebook.com/easyJet?ref=stream) Hi , most of the flights from Edinburgh to Southend for June are fully booked. There are still seats available for 11,12 and 14th of June. Clarissa

Would they really shut down a service that's fully booked on most flights.......?.

Yes, I know they would.

BCALBOY
29th Dec 2013, 12:03
Short haul and particularly UK domestic routes have very short booking lead times .It is inconceivable that a large number of flights in June i.e. Nearly 6 months away are fully booked...one date because of a large group maybe but not a series of flights.The flights are either not operating or have been closed out possibly pending a decision to cancel or not.

It's also very strange that availability ends mid Month.If it was beginning of a new season or even beginning of a new month might be possible that schedules not finalized ,but mid month ?

Also lack of availability in 2nd half of month will affect bookings on flights which are available earlier in the month as a lot of people looking to book round trips will go elsewhere if they can't book return sector .

Very strange and Clarissa at Easyjet seems completely in the dark !

racedo
29th Dec 2013, 12:57
Short haul and particularly UK domestic routes have very short booking lead times .It is inconceivable that a large number of flights in June i.e. Nearly 6 months away are fully booked...one date because of a large group maybe but not a series of flights.The flights are either not operating or have been closed out possibly pending a decision to cancel or not.

If fully booked it would mean putting on additional flights but somehow doubt that is a scenario. Agree that it seems that FB is not most accurate of info being put forward.

LTNman
29th Dec 2013, 13:52
Basing aircraft at Southend with its limited rail access to London and the fact that it is only open 18 hours a day was always going to be a leap of faith as far as scheduling is concerned.

farci
30th Dec 2013, 10:14
It's also very strange that availability ends mid Month.If it was beginning of a new season or even beginning of a new month might be possible that schedules not finalized ,but mid month ?In darkest Middlesex you may not be aware that Scottish schools' summer holidays start at end-June. The last school day in Edinburgh will be 27 June 2014 as will be the case, I'm sure, in surrounding council areas

Skipness One Echo
30th Dec 2013, 12:35
The social media relations teams are quite far down the commercial chain, indeed the call centre staff are often just as far down and presented with limited visibility. Both teams often have no more information than we do by looking at the website.

Espada III
1st Jan 2014, 12:54
Some time ago it was posted that the MAN-TLV route would increase from twice to three times a week in the late winter early spring and then five weekly from the early summer.

The three weekly appears to be in operation for a couple of months (March & April) but then drops down to two a week again. What happened to the five a week?

BDKLEZ
2nd Jan 2014, 10:04
Personally, I'd like to see the addition of BFS-BRU and I'm surprised that thus far it's only LGW from the UK that ops to/from BRU. I say "personally" for purely selfish reasons only because I live/work in Maastricht in The Netherlands and BRU is handier by far as opposed to the trek up north to AMS.

However, I would've thought that there would be sufficient demand from the regional capitals BFS, EDI & CWL (..although ops ex BRS of course) to warrant even a daily service given the politics and the direct relationship between those individual regions and the European institutions based in BRU.

EI-BUD
2nd Jan 2014, 10:26
BDKLEZ,

A BRU link would be great, however, most unlikely to be suitable for easyJet. Rome as an example didn't work from BFS by any operator, well not so much so that they wanted to retain it. Same goes for many other routes ..

Cork has sustained twice weekly BRU route, though for Belfast (either airport ) I'd suggest this route would be the domain of an operator such as one that operates smaller aircraft perhaps EMB jet (145/175).

If BACF could be attracted to run a BHD LCY BRU routing that could be a good way to test demand ....

Mr A Tis
2nd Jan 2014, 10:46
I'm surprised that EZY or RYR have not looked at Ostend as a viable destination from the UK.
North of Birmingham, we don't have easy access to cross channel rail/tunnel services to Europe.
A short flight from EDI /GLA / BFS / MAN would link us up to the continental rail network. Ostend is a good destination in itself & easy for visits to Brugges & Brussels.
Certainly a good leisure destination.Being a small airport, I would of thought easy to get in and out with no congestion.

davidjohnson6
2nd Jan 2014, 11:11
Ryanair tried Ostend about 10 years ago.
From MAN + EDI, Ryanair already fly to Charleroi. Would Ostend be significantly easier to reach from Brussels in comparison ?

Shed-on-a-Pole
2nd Jan 2014, 13:15
Yes, but Ryanair tried Ostend from London. The SE is well served by the Channel Tunnel and ferry connections; Ostend is actually not far from Calais. It is not surprising that an Ostend service did not succeed in the SE market.

Manchester and points north are a different matter entirely. Ferries from Dover to Calais and/or the Channel Tunnel must be accessed via expensive and time-consuming overland journeys. The London area must be transited. Alternatively, long North Sea ferry crossings could be considered. But whichever way you tackle it, Oostende/Brugge is not an easy journey from Northern England and Scotland.

Mr A Tis has it right. The region surrounding Oostende/Brugge is attractive for tourism, there are no airport constraints and flying time from MAN should be just about an hour. The fact that RYR failed in the saturated London market should not exclude consideration of a market with quite different dynamics.

With regard to overland travel from Charleroi to Ostend, this can be done but it is not an ideal choice. Probably 3 to 4 hours by train. There used to be a through service but I'm not sure whether there still is; you'd probably require a change at Brussels. Ostend from Brussels Zaventem is around 2.5 hours by rail, usually with a change in Brussels.

wallp
2nd Jan 2014, 16:10
With easyJet axing their SEN-NQY route & reducing their SEN-JER service, I wonder if we might see these routes reappear but from LTN?

LTN needs a new operator to JER whilst a NQY service could provide an alternative for people to the North of London, rather than having to fly from LGW.

Just a thought....

Mr A Tis
2nd Jan 2014, 16:18
Shed made the point much better than myself. The SE are "spoilt" for choice with cross channel access. The only Loco flight to Ostend was indeed by RYR from Stansted.
I did the flight from MAN to Ostend in a Laker 1-11 in 45 minutes back in 1975.
I've been through Charleroi & I'd rather connect to Belgium /Europe via Ostend.
It's a rotation that could be squeezed into a schedule & probably relatively cheaply too.

racedo
2nd Jan 2014, 16:50
I've been through Charleroi & I'd rather connect to Belgium /Europe via Ostend.
It's a rotation that could be squeezed into a schedule & probably relatively cheaply too.

I see little if any likelihood of anybody doing it.

You need to sell 140 seats per flight e/w to make it interesting.

Some flights are nice in theory but just not practical.

Shed-on-a-Pole
2nd Jan 2014, 18:31
Maybe, but Bruges has established short-break appeal well in excess of several destinations which do consistently fill 140+ seats for EZY and RYR. The well-known attractions of Bruges itself, and the historical interest in the nearby [Ypres/Iepers] WW1 battlefields (particularly in this important anniversary year) drive a steady market. Of course, 2014-2018 will see a sequence of important WW1 Centenaries which should prompt additional tourist interest. Ghent and the coastal resorts near Ostend are also attractive options for visitors, if less well known.

Given that RYR/EZY have successfully generated tourism booms to some quite surprising citybreak destinations, there is no reason why the area surrounding an established favourite such as Bruges cannot perform at least as well.

WHBM
2nd Jan 2014, 22:05
Ryanair tried Ostend about 10 years ago.
From MAN + EDI, Ryanair already fly to Charleroi. Would Ostend be significantly easier to reach from Brussels in comparison ?
Eurostar has scooped up much of the Belgian provincial demand by an arrangement with the Belgian railways that a Eurostar ticket from London to Brussels also allows free connections to/from anywhere else in Belgium. It's a small country and most places have frequent trains taking only an hour, or little more, from Brussels main station. I understand it's quite widely used.

Because this has taken so much of the potential demand, especially from the Belgian end, it really impacts the likely air service demand at other Belgian points.

james170969
2nd Jan 2014, 22:49
Yes, but to travel by train from Edinburgh or Manchester to Ostend involves two train changes and a change of stations as there are no Eurostar services north of London. I travelled from Irvine to Ostend by train a couple of years ago. The journey took about 15 hours start to finish. Even the journey from Charleroi Airport took several hours with most of my time spent waiting on my next connection. I would definately fly into Ostend given the chance and probably go there more frequently if the journey was much less arduous. However, I don't know how sucessful a low cost point to point service would be.

johnnychips
3rd Jan 2014, 00:44
The fare from anywhere in the UK by Eurostar to Brussels is, in fact, less than the fare to 'Any Belgian Station', but only by a few pounds.

Since Eurostar has moved to St Pancras, it is much more attractive to potential northern fliers, as it taps the market from the East Midlands and Sheffield (trains arrive the same station); Leeds and Newcastle (5 mins walk from Kings X); and Birmingham and the North-West (10 mins tube from Euston).

It also arrives an Brussels South station, which, though not ideal, is a great deal more central than Zaventem. It is supposed to be a pig to get on the bus from Charleroi to Brussels, and the more civilised alternative by taking a local bus and a train takes a while.

Oostende airport is not in the centre of Oostende, so that's another bus ride.

My favorite airport in Europe, Antwerpen, is too near to Zaventem to attract enough flights except for London City.

So it's Eurostar to Belgium - and it's not that bad at all!

james170969
3rd Jan 2014, 07:21
I would use Eurostar again but having to get four trains from where I live to Ostend plus a change of station in London is a bit much. There should be trains from other cities in the UK to Paris and Brussels. The world does not begin and end in London. The Eurostar fares are very attractive though. Regarding Ostend airport. I have flown in there twice from Stansted some years ago. Yes it is not in the town centre but it is only a few minutes by bus or taxi. I would love to be able to fly to Ostend again but, as I said, I don't know how sucessful a low cost point to point service would be.

Ian Brooks
3rd Jan 2014, 10:15
There were going to be from Manchester and Leeds and infact the first 2 sets of carriages were at Manchester but had major problems with signalling and was
cancelled, I even had a tour round the maintenance centre and went on board
one of the trains.

Ian

Shed-on-a-Pole
3rd Jan 2014, 10:20
Putting Ostend aside for a moment, the idea of considering Eurostar for a journey from Manchester to Brussels is a complete non-starter except for trainspotters and those terrified of flying. A minimum of three different trains required (including a hideous cross-London tube transfer) even for a city centre to city centre journey. And high rail fares. Alternatively, convenient airline schedules from MAN to BRU or CRL with a local connection. Given those options, Eurostar never enters my thinking.

For Ostend, travel from my home would require a minimum of FIVE different trains including the hideous tube transfer. And many arduous hours of travel. This is exactly why the case for Ostend services from the North and Scotland stand up to scrutiny in a way that London flights do not.

BTW, Ostend is actually one of the closest airports to its city centre that I can think of within Europe. The local bus journey to the rail station is shorter than inter-terminal bus shuttle transfers at some European airports. Connections to the coastal resorts are available via the nearby 'De Lijn' coastal tramway; quick connections to nearby cities including Bruges and Ghent are offered from the co-located bus/rail/tram interchange in Central Ostend (a couple of miles or so from the airport terminal).

pabely
3rd Jan 2014, 15:07
A minimum of three different trains required (including a hideous cross-London tube transfer) even for a city centre to city centre journey.

Trip Advisor says Euston to St Pancras Int is 10mins walking with luggage, that drops the 'hideous' london tube:E
You will be suprised how many do this.
With trains almost every hour from manchester and every two hours from london to brussels this gives good flexability.

IB4138
3rd Jan 2014, 15:24
Euston to St Pancras Int is 10mins walking with luggage, that drops the 'hideous' london tube

Both are not an answer for the old or infirm especially with luggage.

A taxi at £6 is my preferred option.

davidjohnson6
3rd Jan 2014, 15:37
While I admit my guilt in being part of this, could I suggest we move discussion of Belgium and the Eurostar to a new thread and minimise drift on the Easyjet thread ?

Charlie Roy
4th Jan 2014, 13:51
While I admit my guilt in being part of this, could I suggest we move discussion of Belgium and the Eurostar to a new thread and minimise drift on the Easyjet thread ?

Maybe the Ryanair thread, since Ryanair are currently in negotiations (again) with Ostend-Bruges International airport. Although Easyjet's A319's would probably be better suited, Ryanair has the advantage of a superior marketing engine.

EK77WNCL
5th Jan 2014, 21:49
I am aware of the reliability of Wikipedia, however, is it true that easyjet (and ryanair) will be beginning service to Algiers from London Gatwick and Paris Charles De Gaulle (and London Stansted).

It states that both routes will begin on 2nd June (and STN on the 16th). Hoping it's true as I need a trip over there and flights are very expensive.

_IRL_Flyer
6th Jan 2014, 10:43
I am aware of the reliability of Wikipedia, however, is it true that easyjet (and ryanair) will be beginning service to Algiers from London Gatwick and Paris Charles De Gaulle (and London Stansted).

It states that both routes will begin on 2nd June (and STN on the 16th). Hoping it's true as I need a trip over there and flights are very expensive.

EK77WNCL, EZY aren't starting STN-CDG but they are starting LGW-CDG.

Air Algerie are restarting flights from Gatwick to Algiers. FR won't be doing that route. They don't fly there at the moment. If they did start flights to Algiers I would say they would do STN-Algiers rather than LGW.

FRatSTN
6th Jan 2014, 12:11
I think its the wording of EK77WNCL's post. It confused me a bit too.

I think they mean EZY starting Algiers to Gatwick and Paris on June 2nd and also FR starting Algiers to Stansted on the 16th. That makes more sense.

Either way I don't believe any of it is true.

rutankrd
6th Jan 2014, 12:26

I am sure you can get to Paris pretty cheaply and from their look at Aigle Azure return Paris- Algiers can be had for around £145.00 including taxes.

racedo
6th Jan 2014, 12:27
I think they mean EZY starting Algiers to Gatwick and Paris on June 2nd and also FR starting Algiers to Stansted on the 16th. That makes more sense.

Either way I don't believe any of it is true.

My belief on a routes existence is only 100% after first flight. Even suggested routes for 6 months hence when everybody says no my belief is only when date passes that its not going to happen.

As we all have seen new routes come out of nowhere and often disappear there as well. Believe the impossible.

EK77WNCL
6th Jan 2014, 18:30
LGW is much cheaper than CDG from NCL, or at least it will be when EZY picks the route up. At the time we wish to go Paris is pretty much isolated from NCL unless you re-mortgage your house for an AF/BA/KL ticket, and then you may as well pay the little bit more for a connection to ALG with the joy of a LHR-LGW transfer etc. EI to CDG may be a viable alternative. Anyway I digress.

I do hope they do begin flying to Algeria, it's been a long time coming and I know that the two of them, Ryanair especially are desperate to break into North Africa much more.

Is it true about Air Algerie restarting LGW flights? I couldn't find it on their website, although LHR wasn't there either.

We shall have to see what happens, although with their eagerness to start it would not at all surprise me if both of them start within 2 weeks of each other and the routes seem to make sense too.

mikkie4
6th Jan 2014, 23:21
EZY have confirmed that they will be using their A320 again next winter on the LONDON SOUTHEND -TENERIFE route...pax numbers must be good this year with just 2 flights per week, could do with a GRAN CANARIA flight,i live in hope,its only an extra 10 mins flying time:D:D:D

racedo
7th Jan 2014, 02:34
EZY have confirmed that they will be using their A320 again next winter on the LONDON SOUTHEND -TENERIFE route...pax numbers must be good this year with just 2 flights per week, could do with a GRAN CANARIA flight,i live in hope,its only an extra 10 mins flying time:D:D:D

Gotta wonder why not have some extra flights but do a Sen-TFS-Grand Canaria.

davidjohnson6
7th Jan 2014, 04:01
racedo - paying 2 sets of landing charges in the Canaries along with the fuel needed to take off and fly the short island hop might be a factor.

MKY661
7th Jan 2014, 07:39
An A320 transferred to EasyJet Switzerland last night. Does anyone know how many will transfer this winter? :)

sunday8pm
7th Jan 2014, 09:48
Can anyone tell me when to expect Easy releasing their winter 2014/15 routes to the Alps? Appreciate maybe not for a while yet.

Seljuk22
12th Jan 2014, 07:36
Q4/2013

October: 5,530,091 +5.4% LF: 89,1% +0.7 p.p.
November: 4,255,978 +3.4% LF: 89.0% -0.6 p.p.
December: 4,490,538 +3.5% LF: 87.9% +0.0 p.p.

Passengers: 61,332,803 +3.6% LF: 89.3% +0.4 p.p.

mikkie4
14th Jan 2014, 03:37
Our airport is becoming quite religous At the moment we have G-EZUS(jesus)(A320) & G-NOAH (noah)(A319), anymore out there?

RAT 5
14th Jan 2014, 15:36
You're close to the beach and more storms are on the way. Be careful about what these omens may bring and check your boats. Build ye your house not on sand, but rock. Pre-flight rwy check includes the dykes.

racedo
14th Jan 2014, 17:51
Pre-flight rwy check includes the dykes.

U2 have a clear non dicsrimination policy regarding orientation.

Ross182
22nd Jan 2014, 07:28
Hello everybody,

this Monday 20.1.2014 has due to weather diverted 4 EasyJet aircraft heading to Krakow to BRNO(LKTB).

My quesstion is why to Brno(LKTB), why not Ostrava(LKMT) wich is closer?(I know there is many facts involved -meteo,policy,....)

Weather at airport:

BRNO(LKTB): CAT I ILS

METAR LKTB 201030Z 06009KT 3300 -RA BR BKN009 OVC016 07/07 Q1001 NOSIG
METAR LKTB 201130Z 06010KT 5000 -RA BR BKN010 OVC018 07/06 Q1001 NOSIG

OSTRAVA(LKMT): CAT II ILS
METAR LKMT 200930Z 01009KT 3700 -RA BR OVC004 04/04 Q1003 NOSIG
METAR LKMT 201100Z 01007KT 3500 -RA BR OVC003 04/03 Q1003 NOSIG
METAR LKMT 201130Z 01007KT 3200 -RA BR OVC004 04/03 Q1003 NOSIG

KRAKOW(EPKK): ILS CAT I

METAR EPKK 200930Z 06017KT 6000 BKN004 01/01 Q1005
METAR EPKK 201030Z 06014KT 6000 -RA BKN004 01/01 Q1005

GCILover
26th Jan 2014, 08:23
I've got to say, I've just returned from a weeks holiday in Fuerteventura which I booked through Easyjet holidays.
First class service from beginning to end. I would highly recommend it to anyone. It will definitely be my first port of call for my next holiday

Sunnyjohn
1st Feb 2014, 21:06
Anyone know if EJ are flying winter schedules VLC-GTW?

Jack1985
1st Feb 2014, 22:18
A simple search on Google ''VLC LGW flights'' shows that it is!

Seljuk22
2nd Feb 2014, 04:05
Some more routes from FCO:

31MAR: BEG 3 weekly
02APR: SKG 2 weekly (4 weekly from 16JUN)
15JUN: MPL 3 weekly
17JUN: MAH 3 weekly (seasonal until 04SEP)
17JUN: RHO 2 weekly (seasonal until 02SEP)

Sunnyjohn
2nd Feb 2014, 16:48
A simple search on Google ''VLC LGW flights'' shows that it is!There are no flights shown after October 2014. I spent nearly an hour googling and got the above result. That's why I asked the question here. However, I did just try again, in case new flights were entered, and there are no flights shown after October 2014.

True Blue
2nd Feb 2014, 16:59
Because the winter flights are not on sale yet

Sholto Douglas
2nd Feb 2014, 19:13
Sunnyjohn

As True Blue has said next winter's flights are not on sale yet. The nornal ruling is the winter flights go on sale as the summer schedules starts (that is the end of March) and likewise the summer flights go on sale as the winter schedule starts. In other words you won't find two the same seasons on sale at the same time.

And by the way GTW was the code for Gatow in Germany. LGW is Gatwick.

Sunnyjohn
3rd Feb 2014, 09:05
Thank you all, and
And by the way GTW was the code for Gatow in Germany. LGW is Gatwick.
Whoops;)

wallp
6th Feb 2014, 12:29
What's behind the easyJet decision to axe Amman flights from Gatwick?

Is it simply down to lack of popularity or are there other factors?

davidjohnson6
6th Feb 2014, 12:34
Interesting blog post on Easyjet's Amman route ending at EasyJet drops Amman, favours Tel Aviv | Quite Alone (http://quitealone.com/2014/01/29/easyjet-drops-amman-favours-tel-aviv)

Airbourne-Adamski
6th Feb 2014, 12:36
Think new TLV route takes over AMM route. My guess is AMM was not as profitable as the TLV route.

wallp
6th Feb 2014, 21:28
well there's no doubting that their Tel Aviv route is doing very well despite competition from El-Al at Luton. I wonder if they'll think about any other Middle East routes in the future; Beirut has oft been mentioned?

ib26uk
9th Feb 2014, 18:08
Am I right in reading that easyJet wont have flights for sale for November 2014 until the end of March 2014 ?

I`m interested in Liverpool to Belfast in November 2014

More convienent then getting a train to MAN and flying with BE

GAZMO
9th Feb 2014, 19:46
EZY have regular daily flights from LPL to BFS, up to six flights daily on peak days reducing to four on the quieter days of the week.

If you can fly off peak you can get some great fares

Ian Brooks
9th Feb 2014, 20:53
Easy fly from MAN to BFS as well

Ian

ib26uk
9th Feb 2014, 21:28
Thank you for your replies

I`m in Liverpool on Tuesday 25th November and go to Belfast the next day, Its FAR more convienent for me to go from LPL to BFS

GAZMO
9th Feb 2014, 21:49
Normally four flights on a. Tuesday from LPL to BFS
First flight at 7am
Single fights on Tuesday from about £23 although I have seen them for £19 when sale on

ib26uk
9th Feb 2014, 21:59
Might have to book with Flybe as they have better times BUT we shall we see what suits me best when flights become available

mikkie4
11th Feb 2014, 21:41
Possible GREEK ISLE & TURKEY,keep hearing that it is getting late for airlines to sell new departures, is ther a cut off time?.New extension opens end of FEB,would this be to late?

racedo
12th Feb 2014, 17:40
EasyJet fined £42,000 for ordering a disabled woman off of a plane because she was 'a security risk' | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2557614/EasyJet-fined-42-000-ordering-disabled-woman-plane-security-risk.html)

It is DM though

Bae 146 Driver
5th Mar 2014, 13:05
Does anybody know when the new schedule for Easyjet's flights between Copenhagen-Lisbon-cph will be released. I can only find flights up to the middle of April 2014.:confused:

ib26uk
5th Mar 2014, 19:58
easyJet posted a big status on their facebook page saying that Winter 2014 / 2015 flights WILL be released the second week of April 2014

toledoashley
22nd Mar 2014, 07:38
New colourscheme? Skyliner - aviation news & more (http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=nav2&picid=8767)

Or awaiting decal?

Zippy Monster
22nd Mar 2014, 10:06
Almost certainly awaiting decals. Pretty much identical to the base scheme on the Unicef-liveried aircraft.

LAX_LHR
22nd Mar 2014, 13:15
There has recently been an A319 sporting a tartan style tail too, so i wonder if easyjet are going down the jetblue approach and having different styles on the tail?

8674planes
22nd Mar 2014, 13:34
The Tartan paint scheme was applied to one of there aircraft as Easyjet are starting up a base there I believe. I think the aircraft is G-EZBF.

CabinCrewe
22nd Mar 2014, 13:42
is there a formal base in INV ?

Skipness One Echo
22nd Mar 2014, 14:06
They have two for Unicef, one advertising Rome-Milan, Inverness and whatever this one is to advertise, all with the orange rear fuselage. It's a tiny minority with most being in the standard scheme, however this current one off looks so much more....professional IMHO.

ReallyAnnoyed
22nd Mar 2014, 15:39
There will be no base in INV. It is just an early and a late nightstop by LGW crew.

Chopper69
22nd Mar 2014, 16:21
For the very first time this looks professional and even using the tacky orange, it seems to work.

NickBarnes
22nd Mar 2014, 17:30
Many people are saying this is going to be new colours for them, if they are they look great:D

fa2fi
22nd Mar 2014, 19:17
The special edition paint jobs always start life like this. I believe the Berlin one was the first. I believe this one is the Hamburg one.

NickBarnes
22nd Mar 2014, 20:28
Shame looks better than the normal livery

Skipness One Echo
25th Mar 2014, 13:56
https://twitter.com/TheHUBRoutes/status/448373731094585345/photo/1/large

William Shakespeare is the new logojet on G-EZBI.

Can anyone advise where easyJet get most of their maintenance done? I know Ryanair have hangars at STN, PIK and DUB but easyJet are all third party?

toledoashley
25th Mar 2014, 13:59
Anyone know the connection for Shakespere? Base, charity sponsorship?

racedo
25th Mar 2014, 14:04
I reckon its "Much ado about nothing" :p

hatters united
25th Mar 2014, 15:48
Skipness..
The Easyjet hanger at Luton has 3 bays for base maintenance as I understand it.
They also farm out work to Monarch at Luton and i think some have gone through Lufthansa in the past.

kriskross
25th Mar 2014, 21:21
Has the Malta contract finished?

Captain_Caveman
26th Mar 2014, 03:21
Hanger 89 at Luton has two bays, further maintenance is provided at Monarch's hanger in Luton. Off the top of my head additional maintenance by Virgin at Gatwick, Lufthansa in Berlin. Liverpool, Milan, Zurich, Geneva and additionally big checks at the SR Technics facility in Malta.

strawberry Ribena
26th Mar 2014, 10:25
I have definitely seen an ezy parked outside the ba hanger at lgw

racedo
26th Mar 2014, 11:10
I have definitely seen an ezy parked outside the ba hanger at lgw

That was just an ever so subtle "Tanks on the Lawn" takeover attempt....

EcamSurprise
27th Mar 2014, 11:34
G-EZEZ has lost it's BER logo and is now sporting a NAPOLI one for the new base opening:

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/uploaded-images/2014-3/23/378038.jpg

And here is a new one I haven't seen before too:
http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/uploaded-images/2014-3/17/375834.jpg

tws123
2nd Apr 2014, 11:37
Both the new Inverness and Shakespeare liveries were painted on at SEN by Air Livery (?) if that's any help. Also I think that a few of the more dirty A319s are being repainted as they switch over with other aircraft at the SEN base. Can anyone confirm this?

wallp
2nd Apr 2014, 20:24
With expansion at Gatwick now taking place following acquisition of the ex FlyBe slots & committed expansion at Luton over the next year, is this growth coming from additions to the fleet or are aircraft being moved around from elsewhere?

ib26uk
2nd Apr 2014, 20:41
Does anybody know when the 2014/2015 Schedules are released?

I need to book about 10 flights so want to compare with other airlines

Dct_Mopas
2nd Apr 2014, 20:52
Winter 2014/15 is due to be released by mid April according to the EZY Fb page.

ib26uk
2nd Apr 2014, 21:35
Dct_Mopas

Thank you

ib26uk

wallp
3rd Apr 2014, 06:56
Hopefully mid April will also be when we get to hear about the first of the new routes & increased frequencies promised by easyJet at its Luton base, as confirmed a few days ago?

Seljuk22
6th Apr 2014, 08:13
Passenger: 5.107.676 +4.8%
Load Factor: 91.5% +1.0 p.p.

Let's see how they're doing this year in April with Easter. Last year Easter was in March.

Any one knows how many aircrafts are based at each base this summer?

I think it could be more or less like this:
Gatwick 58
Malpensa 17
Luton 15
Geneva 12
Charles de Gaulle 11
Bristol 11
Liverpool 10
Basel 9
Berlin 9
Manchester 8
Stansted 8
Edinburgh 7
Orly 7
Fiumicino 6
Belfast 6
Southend 4
Lyon 4
Glasgow 4
Hamburg 3
Lisbon 3
Newcastle 3
Naples 2
Nice 2
Toulouse 2

easyflyer83
6th Apr 2014, 08:30
I'm not sure about all bases but LPL definitely doesn't have 10. It's 7 or 8.

INeedTheFull90
6th Apr 2014, 14:54
They keep putting the release date back further and further. I've been watching them carefully for a good few months. I gave up and booked with Ryanair and BA. My guess is they'll wait until Easter. Take a look at their FB page, at least ten people a day are posting to them asking when winter 14/15 seats will be available.

FRatSTN
9th Apr 2014, 09:05
EZY's winter 2014/15 schedule is out now. Just looked at those two airports north(ish) of London. Most key change is this:

Routes to Copenhagen and Lyon will move from Stansted to Luton Airport. Further reductions at Stansted mean only 6 aircraft it would seem.

Seems they have forgotten about the growth deal the signed with MAG last June. I can't really say I'm surprised after the way it's gone with EZY recently. Still ridiculous none the less.

ib26uk
9th Apr 2014, 09:27
FRaSTN

Thank you for letting us know about the 2014/15 Winter schedule being out

I was looking for a flight from Liverpool to Belfast, however the times dont suit me they are either too early or too late so I will have to go with flybe from Manchester now...

GnRdL
9th Apr 2014, 12:02
What is happening? Each season there seem to be less flights in Alicante.

Am I the only one who has this impression? :confused:

wallp
9th Apr 2014, 13:00
Absolutely delighted to see CPH & LYS added from LTN.

Given the airlines recent growth commitments for its LTN home, these will doubtless be just the first new routes. Its great to see easyJet showing renewed commitment to its home base.

BAladdy
15th Apr 2014, 10:45
Easyjet have confirmed that they are dropping there route from LGW to ZAG from 24th October.

http://exyuaviation.********.co.uk/2014/04/easyjet-to-terminate-zagreb-service.html

The Flying Cokeman
16th Apr 2014, 12:57
Seljuk22,

I can confirm that LGW base will have exactly 67.5 airplanes this summer. The reason its .5 is due to a spare plane shared with another base apparently.

EK77WNCL
16th Apr 2014, 13:07
Is that shared with NCL? I know they swap aircraft but I don't know if that constitutes as a .5

adfly
16th Apr 2014, 16:35
Should that not be 57.5, I've heard it to be 58 in the past, an increase of 10 on that number seems a lot!

The Flying Cokeman
16th Apr 2014, 17:20
Adfly,

no it is 67.5 at it's highest in July/August -that's what base management have said earlier this year. Don't forget all Flybe slots have been taken plus normal annual expansion.

adfly
16th Apr 2014, 18:54
Quite a spectacular number then! That is even starting to head towards the number of shorhaul aircraft BA have based up the road at LHR.

cornishsimon
5th May 2014, 22:12
Anyone know why G-EZUM diverted into NQY on 2nd May while operating FAO-LPL ?

cs

HeathrowAirport
6th May 2014, 10:11
There's not really that much of demand to places like PMI or ALC as there used to be, places like DLM, AYT and BJV are on the increase.

TSR2
6th May 2014, 11:11
There's not really that much of demand to places like PMI or ALC as there used to be

Well 4.30 million people flew to/from UK airports to ALC last year, an increase of around 9.9% on 2012. I would not say that there's not really much of a demand.

GnRdL
6th May 2014, 13:20
Well 4.30 million people flew to/from UK airports to ALC last year, an increase of around 9.9% on 2012. I would not say that there's not really much of a demand.

An increase by other airlines, while easyJet continues to lose passengers in Alicante.

easyJet: Weekly frequencies at ALC Airport

Winter season 2014-2015 vs 2013-2014

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u369/Aeroaltet/easyJet/easyJet-ALCWinterSeason2014Grafic_zps8c168615.png

Source: www.aeropuerto-alicante.net (http://www.aeropuerto-alicante.net/)

LGS6753
7th May 2014, 09:26
LONDON (Reuters) - British low-cost carrier easyJet said it would be the first airline to use drones to help maintain its fleet to keep a lid on its costs.

The airline said drones - aircraft that do not have a pilot on board - would be used to carry out aircraft checks, cutting down on the time it takes to make inspections, and it would also replace printed charts and log books with electronic ones to cut onboard weight and save on fuel costs.

"We are applying a range of new technologies to the aviation sector for the first time to help us run our fleet of aircraft more effectively, efficiently and safely," the FTSE 100 airline's Chief Executive Carolyn McCall said in a statement on Wednesday.

INeedTheFull90
7th May 2014, 11:49
I can understand why U2 are reducing ALC. Why waste capacity on the shell suit brigade when you can get better yields on other routes.

chris789
7th May 2014, 12:13
Luckily, a consistently profitable airline takes a slightly less stereotypical and simplistic view of its customer profiles.

Given the Euro exchange rate, I would imagine easyJet has bargained on more people heading to beach destinations where people can get more bang for their buck.

GnRdL
7th May 2014, 18:01
And how do you know? Where do you have this information from?

Anyway let them do whatever they want, while other airlines are gaining ground in Alicante.

racedo
7th May 2014, 21:16
So will this be called a U2 Drone or U2 Spy Plane ?

GnRdL
8th May 2014, 06:47
@chris789 The Euro exchange rate remains similar to the past 5-6 years or has even improved.

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u369/Aeroaltet/Novedades/EurovsPound_zpsdbf904f7.png

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u369/Aeroaltet/Novedades/EurovsPound8Years_zps958845c9.png

Airlift21
8th May 2014, 12:15
According to your chart, the Pound was much stronger in 2007, hence you'd have more Euros to spend when you're in Alicante. There was a mini peak in mid 2012, but it's dropped off again.The Pound is much weaker now and you'd get less Euros to spend when you're in sunny Alicante. You're getting less bang for your bucks if you want to spend in Europe, having exchanged your sterling for less Euros. Although, it's good if you're coming from Europe to holiday in the UK.

GnRdl - doesn't the chart showing weekly U2 Alicante frequencies show capacity on the increase again in Feb?

davidjohnson6
8th May 2014, 12:50
In peak season, Easyjet operates 10 round trips between London and Alicante. How many more flights should Easyjet operate on this city pair ?

I imagine Alicante is probably quite a peaky market - great on Saturdays in August, but not quite so in demand on a Wednesday in May. Perhaps better to deploy aircraft, crew and slots on routes which have more stable demand throughout the summer ?

GnRdL
8th May 2014, 14:20
According to your chart, the Pound was much stronger in 2007, hence you'd have more Euros to spend when you're in Alicante. There was a mini peak in mid 2012, but it's dropped off again.The Pound is much weaker now and you'd get less Euros to spend when you're in sunny Alicante. You're getting less bang for your bucks if you want to spend in Europe, having exchanged your sterling for less Euros. Although, it's good if you're coming from Europe to holiday in the UK.
Yes, but we should compare 2014 with 2013. In 2007 the economic bubble was about to explode.

In 2014 there seems to be a slow but steady recovery of the Pound (vs Euro).

GnRdl - doesn't the chart showing weekly U2 Alicante frequencies show capacity on the increase again in Feb?
In the chart two valleys are observed in periods when demand falls. But it is a reduction that overlaps previous seasons. The number of frequencies in February 2015 are equated to February 2014.

In peak season, Easyjet operates 10 round trips between London and Alicante. How many more flights should Easyjet operate on this city pair ?
8 daily flights with a peak of 10 on saturdays.

But I'm not talking only about London. Other British cities like Belfast, Bristol, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle are going to see reduced its offer during the coming winter.

compton3bravo
8th May 2014, 15:51
As regards the Pound-Euro ratio I can tell you that the rate today here in southern Spain at a bank is 1.18. At a Cambio (change) it is 1.16 and has been around the 1.14-1.18 for some months. If you can get the inter-bank rate it is just short of 1.22.
Alicante Airport had an increase of 7.6 per cent on its passenger figures for April compared to last year with all the main Spanish airports showing major increases including Malaga 13 per cent and Barcelona 11 per cent.
The idiot who mentioned shell suits please grow up if you can they went out many years ago and don´t grace us with your presence we have enough trouble with idiotic Brits, just last week someone decided it might be a good idea to cross the main A7 Marbella road by walking - did not make it unfortunately!

racedo
8th May 2014, 17:30
Not sure what the issue is with UK-ALC, if U2 can use their aircraft on more profitable routes then that is the role of management to decide to do so.

Hwks
8th May 2014, 21:43
I travel to alicante every month and i am disapointed at easyjets lack of flights in the winter months. I visit for the weekend and have found it impossible to visit my flat at weekends as i work on sat. I cant understand why they cave in to ba and norwegian, i like easyjet and want to be loyal but it is imposible now for me to use my appartment as their are no evening flights on sat

GnRdL
8th May 2014, 22:26
Alicante Airport had an increase of 7.6 per cent on its passenger figures for April compared to last year with all the main Spanish airports showing major increases including Malaga 13 per cent and Barcelona 11 per cent.

9,6% and not 7,6%.

April 2014:
− Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas: +7,6% (3,4 million passengers).
− Barcelona-El Prat: +10,8% (3,1 million passengers).
− Canarias: +17,1% (3,0 million passengers).
− Baleares: +6,1% (2,1 million passengers). +5,5% Palma de Mallorca.
− Málaga-Costa del Sol: +12,8% (1,2 million passengers).
− Alicante-Elche: +9,6% (0,9 million passengers).

gilesdavies
8th May 2014, 23:05
I travel to alicante every month and i am disapointed at easyjets lack of flights in the winter months. I visit for the weekend and have found it impossible to visit my flat at weekends as i work on sat. I cant understand why they cave in to ba and norwegian, i like easyjet and want to be loyal but it is imposible now for me to use my appartment as their are no evening flights on sat

Quit your moaning...

easyJet are not a public service, they will fly where/when the demand deems it, and where they can get maximum profitability of their planes.

How many flights do you want? They operate 14 a week from the London airports, 5 from Bristol, 4 from Liverpool, 2 from Manchester, Belfast and Edinburgh and 3 a week from Newcastle and Glasgow!

The UK to Alicante market is saturated and easyJet have obviously decided to adjust their schedules accordingly. They clearly don't want to enter price war!

A simple answer is, if easyJet do not fly on the day you want, choose another carrier that does!

The mainland Spain resorts in winter are depressing place, and surprised there is even that demand! The weather barely gets above 15'C in December and January and regularly rains, its barely a Winter Sun destination! I would much rather fly over Spain and continue on south for another two hours and arrive in the Canaries, as would many other people, hence why carriers focus a lot of capacity on these routes.

I notice Thomson don't even operate an ALC flight from Luton anymore, at anytime of the year. Shows they have better places to fly to than that hell hole called Benidorm, and the English enclave of Torrevieja where Brits go to live and refuse to learn the local language or way of life!

compton3bravo
9th May 2014, 04:36
Sorry Giles wrong again, Spain in winter or anytime for that matter is not depressing it is rather nice I can asure you. That is why millions of north Europeans travel to the southern parts of the country and spend the winter months here - equivalent of the Canadian snow bunnies moving to the southern US. Granted it can get get cold (lowest on the Costa del Sol 5 deg at night) but no frost or ice to contend with.
Agree if you really want almost guaranteed good weather go on to the Canaries or Egypt is a much better bet but I know where I would rather be on a November morning - not in Milton Keynes, Canterbury or Walsall!

GnRdL
9th May 2014, 06:52
I notice Thomson don't even operate an ALC flight from Luton anymore, at anytime of the year. Shows they have better places to fly...
Thomson? I don't remember this airline operating the route.

In any case, the charter traffic in Alicante is a minority. Most tourists organize their holiday on their own, in addition to a large number of foreign residents (120.000 British residents in 2013).

The UK to Alicante market is saturated and easyJet have obviously decided to adjust their schedules accordingly. They clearly don't want to enter price war!
They will know, of course. But sun destinations like ALC, AGP, PMI, etc. are core routes for many European airlines. One step back and another airline will gain ground fidelizing passengers...

How many flights do you want? They operate 14 a week from the London airports, 5 from Bristol, 4 from Liverpool, 2 from Manchester, Belfast and Edinburgh and 3 a week from Newcastle and Glasgow!
Some of them are ridiculous. 2xw to MAN? Come on baby...

GAZMO
9th May 2014, 07:07
BFS has 12 weekly flights to ALC during peak summer (7 EZY, 4 LS and 1 TCX) and winter 13/14 just passed 5 flights per week.

Quite sufficient for a population of least than two million

Maybe this should be on an ALC thread

GnRdL
9th May 2014, 07:15
BFS has 12 weekly flights to ALC during peak summer (7 EZY, 4 LS and 1 TCX) and winter 13/14 just passed 5 flights per week. Quite sufficient for a population of least than two million
Yes. And next winter season 2xw (-1xw EZY and -2xw EXS)... enough?

pd. TCX doesn't operate anymore.

kcockayne
9th May 2014, 08:41
Anyone have any info. on how the Gatwick - Jersey service is doing?

I travelled on it in late April & both loads were about 75 - 80 pax.

Hwks
9th May 2014, 10:53
I find my place in alicante is beautiful out of sealn i dont go to sit in the sun. Their is a wealth of birdlife and the pleasure of walking along a beach in 15* rather than 6 here is good. I sm severley asthmatic and the winter there is much nicer than here. We dont all want to get fried. I dont ask for more flights just more evenly spaced would be nice

Ramper1
10th May 2014, 09:57
The jersey routes were quiet in April as the fly b e aircraft held around 75-80 pax, . I was on flight yesterday and it was 156 returning from JER at 0710 and was 156 today on the 0640 flight. The crew said they were overbooked in the next 2 flights they were doing to JER. So must be going ok for them!

kcockayne
10th May 2014, 13:25
Thank you Ramper,

Having just gained this service I was a little concerned at the prospect of keeping it with the two loads being so low on my flights !

macuser
10th May 2014, 15:59
I've taken two trips down to JER during April ( not over Easter, mind) and there were full loads each time.

kcockayne
10th May 2014, 16:08
Looking good, then. Sigh of relief !

The Flying Cokeman
11th May 2014, 20:32
Had a look for you:

LGW-JER bookings for tomorrow: 144,130,138

JER-LGW bookings for tomorrow: 73,71,80

adfly
11th May 2014, 20:43
I wonder how BA are doing in comparison with twice as many flights to fill?

macuser
11th May 2014, 23:10
Shows that the easyJet market , at the moment, is UK to Jersey orientated. Got an inkling they will soon be picking up business pax JER- lGW with their excellent fares and good reliability time-wise....

vectisman
13th May 2014, 20:55
Adfly
BA has until recently had a frequency of 5 daily services to Jersey. This summer they added another daily frequency to partially compensate for the loss of Flybe on the route. Flybe used to operate with 4 to 5 daily flights, often more at weekends during the summer. (Aircraft tended to be mainly 118 seater E95s with some dash 8 flights).
Those flights have been replaced by 2 to 3 daily services by Easyjet and the extra daily frequency by BA. Allowing for the larger size of BA and Easyjet aircraft actual capacity on offer is broadly the same as previously.
BA have no problem selling seats and always carry healthy Club Europe loads on the flights.
Room for both on the route with BA more than holding its own.

V.

adfly
13th May 2014, 21:43
Easy were looking at going 4 daily if I am not mistaken eventually, so that could provide some interesting competition! Still I suppose BA have plenty of frequent flyers and people connecting onto the rest of their network from LGW on their side.

Waldo1
30th May 2014, 21:41
Anyone know when the new aircraft deliveries are due to begin?

All names taken
2nd Jun 2014, 10:20
Good morning

Does anyone working for Easyjet know why the Manage My Booking function on the website isn't working?

Phone calls to Easyland have revealed there is 'a technical problem' and they say it should have been fixed over the weekend.
Just checked - it's still down.

Grateful for any hard news on when it will be fixed - getting nervous about being able to make the necessary changes to my upcoming flight in time.

BFS Dude
11th Jul 2014, 12:27
Does anyone know when easyJet will be putting Summer 2015 flights on sale?

Falcon666
11th Jul 2014, 13:14
Waldo1

If you go by what was initially said the order was for 35 current generation and 100Neos.
They are currently appraising the engines for the Neos and they are due for delivery from 2017 to 2022.
The 35 current generation I have heard start early next year.

jferreira20
11th Jul 2014, 18:14
easyJet anuncia base do Porto a 15 de julho? | Low Cost Portugal (http://www.lowcostportugal.net/viajar/aeroportos/porto/easyjet-anuncia-base-do-porto-a-15-de-julho/2014/07/#axzz37BVs5MGG)

Tuesday there will be a press conference in Porto with three members of the Portuguese government, including the ministry of Economy. There are strong rumours about a base.

Waldo1
12th Jul 2014, 01:15
Cheers falcon666

davidjohnson6
12th Jul 2014, 01:23
I've been thinking about how Easyjet has changed its market positioning from a cheap-as-chips airline to a company that is capable of rivalling major network carriers for business travel and become acceptable for shorthaul to those who want a basic level of creature comforts.

As a company that has a large customer base, it's presumably keen to hang onto the most profitable customers. Large Oneworld, Star and Skyteam carriers all have their loyalty schemes, and I was wondering why Easyjet doesn't want to do their own. Presumably BA's loyalty scheme is a big draw keeping UK business people returning regularly to BA.

I realise that the Plus card is a nod in this direction, but this is really about upselling perks for a fee, rather than giving a passenger a reason to choose Easyjet over another carrier. Yes, there is also Nectar, but it seems fairly UK centric and the £9 booking fee on rewards is offputting. Yes, I also know that running loyalty schemes has a large overhead of management time and expense but is presumably worth it to the largest of companies. I'm guessing also that by encouraging customers to log in to make bookings or retrieve boarding cards and also using the mobile app, much of the customer data capture for subsequent data analysis is already achieved.

I also realise that a loyalty scheme has to both boost and reward profitability - US carriers were absolutely right to kill off long haul mileage runs by taking monetary spend into account.

So, is there a sufficiently large benefit to Easyjet running a loyalty scheme or is Nectar along with existing infrastructure good enough given a cost-benefit analysis ?

Comments from those with inside knowledge of frequent flyer and loyalty marketing would be gratefully received. Tedious drivel about how many points you have on your Tesco clubcard is less welcome.

Surreyman
12th Jul 2014, 06:57
Easyjets current Business model/Service offering is a good one, on a par with full service airlines if your not obsessed with a free drink/snack or business class (where still offered on short haul).
The weak link in my view, is the quality of the gate/boarding experience - controlled by handling agents, i recently had a poor quality experience at Gatwick of all places, which actually slowed down the boarding of the aircraft.
I see no point in paying for speedy boarding when it is not properly controlled and allocated seating, (which I hugely approve of) becomes a scrum with everybody in every seat row trying to board together.

easyflyer83
12th Jul 2014, 08:33
You don't pay for SB anymore. It is merely a perk of booking extra legroom seats and easyjet plus pax.

Mouser
12th Jul 2014, 10:17
Allocated seating is an improvement on the boarding scrum, but travelled recently down to Malaga from Liverpool, and was a little annoyed when cabin crew asked could I removed my small haversack from the overhead locker and put it under the seat, why! to allow the minges who cram their cases into the overhead lockers more room, now my gripe is I have paid for my cases to go into the hold, then I'am asked to put my bag under the seat in front of me were it's difficult to get at plus it's under my bloody feet so tight arses can get bloody cases on board, btw are these cases allowed into the cabin getting bigger.

VickersVicount
12th Jul 2014, 10:20
the overheads are ideally for roll on cases as that makes that space more efficient. You would be at liberty to take one to claim your space there if that is important to you.

Mouser
12th Jul 2014, 10:43
look I just want get on board put me bag away and not have to put it under me feet.

Falcon666
12th Jul 2014, 14:02
davidjohnson6
Yes I too have often thought about the loyalty side.
A while back I know Easyjet had there own credit Card but I think that only lasted a year or so and to be honest I can't remember what that offered in terms of discounts.
I was surprised to find that you can't even get gift cards for Easy, tried last year for friends!!
A colleague of mine flies regularly with Frontier in the US.
They have a business loyalty scheme where once registered company's get 3% discount on airfares.
Now the question is if a airline with 50+ A/C sees a loyalty scheme as the way forward and can make it pay??then why not Easy.Ok I understand that the US has far more customer service orientated culture to the UK but I am sure Easyjet could look at reintroducing some of these feature and I am sure they have looked into it.
Maybe somebody in Easyjet could contribute

Seljuk22
12th Jul 2014, 15:59
New destinations from the UK
easyJet Media Centre (http://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stories/8487)

3rd aircraft for HAM from November and 5 new routes
Pressemitteilungen - Hamburg Airport | Flughafen Hamburg (http://www.airport.de/de/u_pressemitteilungen_6849.html)

All new routes
easyJet Adds New Routes for Winter 2014 Season | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2014/07/09/u2-w14/)

greatoaks
14th Jul 2014, 11:22
easyJet Media Centre (http://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stories/8502)

Jorik
15th Jul 2014, 11:24
British budget airline Easyjet has reached a deal with Schiphol airport to allow it to base at least three aircraft permanently in Amsterdam, boosting its capacity and destinations.

Easyjet says the deal will create 400 jobs in the Netherlands, cut ticket prices and allow the company to expand its 40-strong destination network from Schiphol. The move is a ‘frontal attack’ on Dutch flag carrier KLM, the Telegraaf says.

Analysts told the paper the move is significant because Easyjet is a strong foreign airline which is not involved in Schiphol’s development as an air traffic transfer hub.

Easyjet’s director Carolyn McCall is quoted by the paper as saying passenger numbers to and from Amsterdam will double from their present total of 3.5 million a year. Around one-third of these are business travellers.

- See more at: DutchNews.nl - Easyjet expands at Schiphol, targets 7 million passengers a year (http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2014/07/easyjet_expands_at_schiphol_ta.php#sthash.wtpkT377.dpuf)

Captain_Caveman
15th Jul 2014, 11:49
New base starting in Oporto with 2 A320's initially
Just announced by easyJet with a launch in spring 2015.

Jorik
17th Jul 2014, 11:31
EZY base at AMS has just been confirmed at a press conference here at Schiphol. From S15 schedule EZY will base 3 aircraft here, with plans to increase that number in the coming years. All the new destinations will be announced later.

For the end of this year EZY has announced a NEW ROUTE:
Amsterdam (AMS) - Hamburg (HAM)

gilesdavies
22nd Jul 2014, 21:01
The new routes at Luton just keep coming with easyJet.

They yesterday announced a four times weekly route to Rome FCO from the 26th October.

easyJet Media Centre (http://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stories/8522)

Seems like easyJet are going after Monarch, as they currently fly this route and last week they also announced flights to Naples which Monarch also fly!

Powerjet1
22nd Jul 2014, 21:26
And Munich

Husky One
22nd Jul 2014, 22:13
A well oiled PR machine but quietly they remove aircraft from SEN, STN, BFS, CDG and MXP.

racedo
22nd Jul 2014, 22:30
Seems like Easyjet are picking a few Wizzair pilots for their Portugese base.

GAZMO
22nd Jul 2014, 22:48
Husky One

Is there a reduction in BFS planes?

mikkie4
22nd Jul 2014, 23:40
Last winter SEN went from 4 planes to 3,but we got our 4th plane back the following spring,also A320 returning to do the TFS (sep/april) not sure if it will be based at SEN like last year

Husky One
22nd Jul 2014, 23:56
BFS down to 5 from October. Number 6 isn't coming back next year.

Powerjet1
23rd Jul 2014, 03:42
Ezy to suspend all flights to Tel Aviv from today due to the current disturbances taking place. To be reviewed on a day by day basis.

eye2eye5
25th Jul 2014, 20:28
In view of the appalling events in Gaza, it would be helpful for easyJet to suspend flights to Tel Aviv indefinitely as it would appear that Israel only respects financial pressure.