PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet - 4

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Gentle Climb
31st Oct 2011, 13:48
Hi

Does anyone know the exact breakdown of the fleet currently...I can't seem to find it on the website and don't really trust wiki etc!

Thanks in advance

GC

pabely
31st Oct 2011, 13:52
Have you tried jethros.org.uk
Usually very accurate.

bjones4
31st Oct 2011, 13:54
easyJet UK

A319
Active: 151
Inactive: 1
On Order: 0

A320
Active: 32
Inactive: 0
On Order: 36

A321
Active: 0
On Order: 1

easyJet Switzerland

A319
Active: 12

A320
Active: 3

Gentle Climb
31st Oct 2011, 14:07
Thats very helpful, thank you all. Have the 737-700's gone now... I thought it was November that they left?

Non-Driver
31st Oct 2011, 14:09
Last revenue flights tomorrow for KC & KD

Zippy Monster
31st Oct 2011, 20:20
One further A320 will transfer to easyJet Switzerland this week.

Also, EZS has 15 A319s, not 12.

dwlpl
31st Oct 2011, 20:24
EZY and EZY Swiss have always moved aircraft around in the winter and summer periods.

Zippy Monster
31st Oct 2011, 20:27
No they haven't. The fleets are fixed.

dwlpl
31st Oct 2011, 20:30
Trust me they have.

Zippy Monster
31st Oct 2011, 20:46
Sigh. Looks like I'll have to get my anorak on.

EZS introduced the Airbus at easyJet. The first five went to EZS as HB-JZA - ZE, delivered in 2003. A short while later (2004) these went over the the UK AOC and now have G- registrations.

Between 2004 and 2007, twelve other A319s came the other way (HB-JZF - ZQ). These were then supplemented over the last couple of years by a further five (ZS - ZW), making it 17. Two (HB-JZG and H) went off lease early this year, leaving it at 15.

The A320s were on the UK AOC for a short time before going to EZS.

The fleet do not swap backwards and forwards. EZS is a subsidiary with its own management and own crew. The crew do not operate on each others' aircraft - if a 'rescue' is required using an aircraft from the other AOC, it will have crew from the respective AOC.

Certainly in the [x] number of years I've been here, we have not "moved aircraft around in the winter and summer periods". The only two that have left EZS, since the original five that moved permanently to EZY, have gone off lease permanently and are now with Brussels Airlines.

You're either talking about way before my time, or your source is incorrect.

scr1
1st Nov 2011, 19:43
G-EZKC flew the last revenue flts for a B737 for easy jet today.

went to INV and then BFS

call signs were

EZY737B LTNINV
EZY737Y INVLTN
EZY737E LTNBFS
EZY737 BFSLTN

Both KC and KD are to go to kemble for breaking

a sad day:{:{

racedo
1st Nov 2011, 20:38
Both KC and KD are to go to kemble for breaking

a sad dayhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

How many have they sent to Kemble now for breaking in total ?

Sad end.

IDR
1st Nov 2011, 21:12
:ok:
EZY737B LTNINV
EZY737Y INVLTN
EZY737E LTNBFS
EZY737 BFSLTN

Nice send off :D

Skipness One Echo
2nd Nov 2011, 16:52
Can someone confirm when easy are to open / have opened a base at Rome Fiumicino?

GnRdL
2nd Nov 2011, 17:03
Can someone confirm when easy are to open / have opened a base at Rome Fiumicino?
Yes, it was opened in Nov 2009. 4x A319 based there.

MKY661
2nd Nov 2011, 18:23
A321
Active: 0
On Order: 1

They are getting an A321? i thought they withdrew them because they didnt need them but now they are getting one?

IB4138
2nd Nov 2011, 18:40
There are actually 2 on order.

easyflyer83
2nd Nov 2011, 18:50
They are from an inherited GB order.

Seljuk22
5th Nov 2011, 20:32
Strong October figures compared to other carriers

Passengers: 4,939,904 +7.8%
Load Factor: 88.8% +0.6pp
http://production.investis.com/rns_ip3_easyjet/rns/rns-item?id=4816700

IAG: pax down 4% with lower LF
IAG - International Airlines Group - News Release (http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1626282&highlight)=
FR: pax up (just) 4% with lower LF
Ryanair's Oct Traffic Grows 4% (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-s-oct-traffic-grows-4-percent)

Viking101
6th Nov 2011, 12:09
GB is gone since a few years.

You telling me there is 2? A321 on order for GB that are on their way, although they don't excist? Sure ezy can take over but I thought FltOps said no more A321...

Don't really believe that.

easyflyer83
6th Nov 2011, 14:48
GB were taken over almost 4 years ago...that is true. However, we had a number of A321's on order, a couple of which were delivered brand new to EZY during the first few months after the takeover. The next one was due 2013 and that order still stands.

Viking101
6th Nov 2011, 16:09
Wouldn't that be converted into A320?

Just a thought. Has ezy management changed idea about the 321s?

easyflyer83
7th Nov 2011, 16:14
It is highly probable that the A321 order is set in stone.

IB4138
7th Nov 2011, 16:25
The orders have been re-jigged I'm informed, in that the two aircraft will be to easy spec, including engines.

er82
7th Nov 2011, 17:34
we will not be getting 321's. Order will be converted to 320.

BHD2BFS
7th Nov 2011, 17:36
anybody here know if there is any truth in easy starting 3 new routes from belfast next summer? i heard it a while back

Seljuk22
9th Nov 2011, 07:40
EZY considers base in CPH?
easyJet ponders base in Copenhagen (http://cphpost.dk/business/business/119-business/52470-easyjet-ponders-base-in-copenhagen.html)

GnRdL
9th Nov 2011, 09:02
easyJet launches a new route from Luton to Reykjavik:

easyJet launches new route to Iceland

9th November 2011
easyJet, the UK’s largest airline, has today announced that it will operate a new route from London Luton Airport to Reykjavik in Iceland. The inaugural flight will take off from London Luton Airport on 27 March 2012 operating three times a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.

Flights to Reykjavik will go on sale on 10 November 2011.

With the addition of the route to Iceland, easyJet now flies to a total of 30 countries. The airline is established as one of Europe's largest and it currently operates more than 200 aircraft across 580 routes, and flies more than 55 million passengers a year.

[...]

Source: www.easyJet.com (http://corporate.easyjet.com/media/latest-news/news-year-2011/09-11-2011-en.aspx?sc_lang=en)

racedo
9th Nov 2011, 18:33
easyJet launches a new route from Luton to Reykjavik:

There was previously a Go route from UK to Iceland but not sure whether it ended before or after takeover.

Jack1985
9th Nov 2011, 18:50
There was previously a Go route from UK to Iceland but not sure whether it ended before or after takeover.

From London Stansted i believe with Go and it was dropped after the merger.

mikkie4
9th Nov 2011, 19:36
EZY to increase southend/jersey flights from 4 to 7 x week

Seljuk22
10th Nov 2011, 14:30
Flights from the 2 new bases NCE (NTE, BOD, NAP, VCE) and TLS (BRU, NCE, BSL, VCE) are bookable.

There will be a summer route LGW-BRI (3 weekly) from 12th June.

AP1995
10th Nov 2011, 17:29
how many aircraft does EZY have based at LTN & MAN? because they have added quite a few routes from LTN so im just wondering if they have added any more

Mr A Tis
10th Nov 2011, 18:33
What will replace the GOT rotations from LGW & MAN?

apaul
15th Nov 2011, 08:16
Looks like EZY is ending the scrum for seats with reserved seating on selected routes in 2012 with a view to expanding this if customers like it. Latest news - easyJet plc (http://corporate.easyjet.com/media/latest-news/news-year-2011/15-11-2011-en.aspx?sc_lang=en)

JSCL
15th Nov 2011, 11:48
Sure most are already aware, but here's the article: BBC News - Easyjet profits from business travel (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15732969)

GLIDERMAN
15th Nov 2011, 15:22
So can anyone tell me why Easy dropped the Luton-Jersey route?

Aero Mad
15th Nov 2011, 16:25
Loads weren't too good by easyJet standards, and Flybe had the better position due to business pax transferring from JER to IOM through Luton and vice versa.

racedo
15th Nov 2011, 18:21
Looks like EZY is ending the scrum for seats with reserved seating on selected routes in 2012 with a view to expanding this if customers like it.

Pay extra for exit rows etc etc................Easyjet being a follower again.

mikkie4
15th Nov 2011, 19:14
LUTONS LOSE, SOUTHENDS GAIN

ericlday
15th Nov 2011, 19:28
or even LUTONS LOSS

EI-BUD
15th Nov 2011, 21:48
Easyjet being a follower again

racedo, I don't agree, they may not have been 1st to charge for pre assigned seats but they were the first to bring online checkin, 1st to totally cut travel agents in EU and so Ryanair followed their lead.

Easyjet continue to offer differentiation of product with low fares to convenient airports, plus a focus on the business traveller which in my view is a sustainable strategy for the future which is working. Putting a focus on the business traveller has upsides for yield which is especially important in the winter time when their are so many less leisure passengers than in summer.

pwalhx
16th Nov 2011, 07:46
Actually sometimes being a follower isn't such a bad thing, let others iron out the pitfalls and your launch looks much smoother.

However I agree Easy like Ryanair is following people like Jet2 who have had allocated seating for sometime, or indeed the legacies who have donw it for years.

StoneyBridge Radar
16th Nov 2011, 08:10
Or even "Luton's loss." :ugh::rolleyes:

Aero Mad
16th Nov 2011, 09:17
StoneyBridge Radar, I believe that mikkie4's earlier post was in fact parodying the original.

pabely
16th Nov 2011, 09:48
1st to totally cut travel agents in EU and so Ryanair followed their lead.

And then reverse it?

Latest news - easyJet plc (http://corporate.easyjet.com/media/latest-news/news-year-2011/15-11-2011a-en.aspx?sc_lang=en)

racedo
16th Nov 2011, 17:37
racedo, I don't agree, they may not have been 1st to charge for pre assigned seats but they were the first to bring online checkin, 1st to totally cut travel agents in EU and so Ryanair followed their lead.

Being a leader means doing something and following through and then watching everybody attempt to catch up, in this regard Easyjet is a follower.

Nothing wrong with doing this.

wowzz
16th Nov 2011, 21:06
I am not sure that having pre-allocated seats other than for extra leg-room seats is a great idea. In all the years we have traveled with EZY Mrs Wowzz and I have never sat apart, and we have never purchased Speedy Boarding. We have also managed never to have to sit near fractious children, as they have already been seated when we boarded.
I would also have thought that seat allocation would have significantly slowed down the entire boardng process, unless a strict control was enforced with regard to boarding by seat roe numbers [ie those at the back board first]
The main benefit will be to stop those couples [you kow who you are!] that sit at an aisle and a window seat, challenging anyone to take the middle seat! If you want three seats, PAY for three seats!

atakacs
16th Nov 2011, 21:44
I am not sure that having pre-allocated seats other than for extra leg-room seats is a great idea

Overall agree with your assessment - I guess that's why they want to test it and see it the cost & complication really outweighs the added revenue.

Worth noting that Easyjet plus customers will also have to pay for those "premium" seats... and they are trying to spin this as an extra convenience !:mad:

easyflyer83
17th Nov 2011, 20:43
I am not sure that having pre-allocated seats other than for extra leg-room seats is a great idea. In all the years we have traveled with EZY Mrs Wowzz and I have never sat apart, and we have never purchased Speedy Boarding. We have also managed never to have to sit near fractious children, as they have already been seated when we boarded.
I would also have thought that seat allocation would have significantly slowed down the entire boardng process, unless a strict control was enforced with regard to boarding by seat roe numbers [ie those at the back board first]
The main benefit will be to stop those couples [you kow who you are!] that sit at an aisle and a window seat, challenging anyone to take the middle seat! If you want three seats, PAY for three seats!

I too agree withe everything you say. Even on busy flights, with the help of the crew, satisfaction can ultimately be higher than if seats were allocated at check in. However, unallocated seating is unpopular with a hell of a lot of passengers, and it can create tension at times because Joe public doesn't always know that the aircraft has to be 95% full before problems arise for the crew to deal with and they don't always know that relatively few Easyjet flights leave with that kind of pax load. For that reason I fully support allocated seating. Give the passengers what they want.

racedo
17th Nov 2011, 20:45
Give the passengers what they want.

Long as they happy to pay......................:cool:

DomyDom
17th Nov 2011, 21:33
easyflyer83,

Do you happen to know when or if any new EZY routes from MAN are likely to be released for 2012? Any hints would be much appreciated.

Thanks, DomyDom

easyflyer83
18th Nov 2011, 15:40
Long as they happy to pay......................http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cool.gif

Again, it works well at other airlines. Even on the bucket and spade routes, take up of this will not be 100% and I reckon on City routes less than half will elect to pay to choose a seat. All those remaining seats will then be pre-allocated in relation to particular bookings meaning, where ever possible, people will be sat together.

DomyDom
19th Nov 2011, 00:12
Thanks easyflyer83. That is reassuring, hopefully some more interesting routes on the cards. I'm pleased that things are continuing well for Easyjet and it's employees at MAN. Lets hope that it will continue. DomyDom:)

easydan319
25th Nov 2011, 03:01
Other new routes announced today:

Nice - Lille (from 30th March 4 weekly)
Toulouse - Lille (from 26th March 4 weekly)
Toulouse - Porto (from 31st March 3 weekly)

Seljuk22
25th Nov 2011, 08:54
4 new routes from MAD:
19th February: MAD-BIO 4 times a day
MAD-LIS will increase from 3 to 4 daily
seasonal routes: HER, DBV, OLB (June - September)

3 new routes from GVA:
ATH (3 weekly). VCE (3 weekly), CTA (2 weekly)

from 30th March NCE-BCN 4 weekly

DomyDom
3rd Dec 2011, 00:38
I really am concerned by this - especially in the context of the rise in APD! I think Easyjet have been great for Manchester and I really hope that they continue to grow and help MAN develop, however given their reluctance for whatever reason (late delivery of aircraft, can't get orgainised or whatever) to provide another aircraft and new routes to Manchester for summer 2012 I really worry that the relationship is taking a step backwards. I remember this time last year EZY's great expansion plans for 2012 for MAN were er - an extra flight to PMI ! For what ever reasons their plans (FR?) changed and they provided some greatly needed and appreciated profitable new routes such as SXF, MAD and BIO (yes I know we lost that great selection of a route HEL!). I hope EZY put on some new (interesting?) routes for 2012 however I fear that due to aircraft unavailability (again!)/ bizzare route selection that MAN will be dissapointed. I hope that I am proved wrong. :bored:

viscount702
3rd Dec 2011, 22:24
I think the decision has already been taken and Unit 7 will not arrive for the summer.

ZRH and MAH are no longer bookable from March and other changes have been made. The whole summer timetable which was based on 7 units has now been rejigged for six. That to me indicates that there has been a rethink.

easyJet Jack
4th Dec 2011, 22:09
the whole terminal move was because T3 was too small.

Not the sole reason for the move, there were other larger contributing factors such as increasing revenue from duty free in terminal 1. Also more space was needed so that Skyteam could be located under one roof.

Obviously lack of stands for an expansion in the near future was one of the deciding factors as you said! ;)

eJJ

Skipness One Echo
4th Dec 2011, 23:36
Are Delta moving from T2 if they are consolidating Skyteam under one roof?

easyflyer83
5th Dec 2011, 13:51
Not the sole reason for the move, there were other larger contributing factors such as increasing revenue from duty free in terminal 1. Also more space was needed so that Skyteam could be located under one roof.

Obviously lack of stands for an expansion in the near future was one of the deciding factors as you said!

Not the sole reason maybe but the other two weren't larger contributing factors. Easy was having to bus one departure in the morning which isn't wanted on first wave departures as generally this wave sets the scene for later in the day and a huge emphasis is placed on this. Duty free/concessions has nothing to do with Easyjet and is the airports reasons for the move. Having Skyteam all in one place is way down the list.

viscount702
5th Dec 2011, 14:22
easyflyer83

Any comments on my post above

Viscount702

j636
5th Dec 2011, 15:24
Air France have announced 10 A320 to be based in Tolouse and add routes and increase current flights as well as adding routes from Nice to challenge Easyjet.

Air France to Add 16 Routes at Toulouse in EasyJet Challenge - Businessweek (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-12-05/air-france-to-add-16-routes-at-toulouse-in-easyjet-challenge.html)

EI-BUD
5th Dec 2011, 20:14
“The idea is to add the best practices of low-cost carriers, with the full services of Air France and attractive fares,” Juniac said at a press briefing in Toulouse.

J636, an interesting article about Air France plans to expand Toulouse base in opposition to EZY. I take the above statement from the article to be a mixed bag in terms of strategy. Feels like Debonair, low cost, low fares with legacy carrier service.

EZY will win this battle. AF have had it too good for too long, taking over small regional rivals and having relative protection from competitors at slot congested airports in France.

racedo
5th Dec 2011, 21:08
EZY will win this battle. AF have had it too good for too long, taking over small regional rivals and having relative protection from competitors at slot congested airports in France.

Hope so but no so sure as feel AF will use slot limitation and other "Govt" procedures to destroy any competition.

viscount702
5th Dec 2011, 21:56
easyflyer83 (http://www.pprune.org/members/339014-easyflyer83)

Thanks for the reply which is very much what I was expecting.

Despite the fact that EZY did confirm that unit 7 would arrive for the summer and would be starting new route(s) I think the position as it now seems to be is that this will not now happen.

Like wise I doubt that unit 7 will arrive in the Autumn if it doesn't arrive in summer and therefore summer 2013 is the likely arrival date. That doesn't mean that routes couldn't be started or operated from other bases.

easyflyer83
5th Dec 2011, 23:34
Like wise I doubt that unit 7 will arrive in the Autumn if it doesn't arrive in summer and therefore summer 2013 is the likely arrival date. That doesn't mean that routes couldn't be started or operated from other bases.

Absolutely and W patterns, triangles and, to a lesser extent, nightstopping patterns are no stranger to the network so expect possible rejigging, adjustments and remember that GOT needs replacing unless those slots are being used for a frequency increase on other routes next Summer.

viscount702
6th Dec 2011, 08:51
The timetable as it now is based on 6 Units based units is full there are no gaps that I can see.

To achieve this ZRH and MAH have been removed entirely. MUC has been reduced to 4 per week and other frequencies have been cut.

GVA and one BFS are done on non based Units

Hamburg 2K8
6th Dec 2011, 17:47
Can anyone confirm EZY plans for HAM next year? I fly there quite often on buiness (for Airbus) and with them being much cheaper then LH and forever cost cutting then these flights are great, except the afternoon MAN depature timing.

easyflyer83
6th Dec 2011, 18:08
HAM is daily except Saturday so I have been told. Basically the same as this Summer and with a similar departure time.

CARNMANORLAD
28th Dec 2011, 12:45
I have the new EZY APP on my IPad and just seen Verona & Brescia listed as destinations from Belfast Int. No dates etc loaded yet. These destinations are not listed on the main website. Mistake or new routes?

tigger2k8
28th Dec 2011, 13:28
Brescia has been a charter flight for the last 2 years now from BFS, i think for a Ski company.. normally starts in January and runs on Saturdays

BFS101
28th Dec 2011, 14:17
The EZY Brescia is chartered by Ski Direct.

Seljuk22
6th Jan 2012, 08:40
December 2011

Passengers 4,135,562 +13.1%

Load Factor 85.6% -0.2pp

Rolling 12 months ending December 2011

Passengers 55,471,760 +11.6%

Load Factor 87.5% +0.3pp
easyJet Passenger Statistics for December 2011 (http://otp.investis.com/generic/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=2&newsid=232021)

Hamburg 2K8
9th Jan 2012, 17:51
Going to Costa Del Sol for Christmas at the end of the year. When will flights for Malaga be out for December 2012 and Jan 2013? Ideally from Liverpool or Manchester. Are they usually daily from both airports?

occasional
9th Jan 2012, 21:16
Anyone suggest what EZY was doing at Granada today ?

Captain_Caveman
9th Jan 2012, 21:21
Occasional : Granada was a weather diversion due to low viz in Malaga. A/c refuelled and continued onto Malaga

occasional
9th Jan 2012, 21:26
Thanks, CC.

easyflyer83
10th Jan 2012, 18:31
Yep. MAN-AGP slowed down to take advantage of the forecast improvment and made it straight in. Previous to that I believe there were three company aircraft diverting.

lfc84
12th Jan 2012, 14:02
£9 admin fee on all bookings now.

As a Visa Electron card holder who flies with Easyjet about 4 times per month, Im not happy

edi_local
12th Jan 2012, 16:16
The admin fee is per transaction, so try and book as many flights as you can at once to just pay one fee.

For example if you're going EDI-BFS 4 times in one month then book all 4 sectors at the same time, under the same PNR and you'll still only pay £9, instead of 4 separate bookings and paying £36.

wesleyscott
12th Jan 2012, 17:13
still a rip off if you ask me

edi_local
12th Jan 2012, 17:35
Oh, I agree, don't get me wrong, I just like to try and get around it as much as possible.

I used to think EZY had a reasonable fee, but £9 is ridiculous.

easyflyer83
12th Jan 2012, 17:53
I don't agree with the card fee. It is pretty much the only fee I don't agree with but until something is done to make the playing field level then I don't see how it will change. edi_local has the right idea though and especially if you fly so often then there must be a good chance that you will have the foresight and ability to book as many of your flights at once.

Unfortunately it's one of those fee's which penalise those who travel alone as when passengers on the booking increase the fee becomes more reasonable when viewed from a percentage perspective.

Lets be thankful atleast that EZY aren't like Ryanair when it comes to their card charges.

scotsunflyer
12th Jan 2012, 18:14
£9 admin fee if paying by debit card. It is another (edited... another 2.5% is added) for credit card, yet the admin fee still shows £9

wesleyscott
12th Jan 2012, 18:47
i always pay with electron and have been exempt from any charge but now this £9 fee has added half the fare of the flights ontop, a bit OTT i think.
That makes them more expensive than "you know who" and flybe.
Not good

Chidken Sangwich
12th Jan 2012, 19:55
If my business had overhead 'admin fees' of over £184 million pounds a year I'd have to be having a look at that as there's a serious amount of cash going down the toilet somewhere...

41 million pax (average 2 pax per booking) x £9.

Mr A Tis
12th Jan 2012, 22:47
As a solo traveller, that often books one way flights with EZY. I can safely say this now makes them very uncompetitive to alternatives available to me. As a point of principle, an unavoidable admin fee to buy a ticket appears to be very unreasonable. Seems to go against their business friendly strategy - OK maybe for families & groups. Think it's a big mistake- surely the trend is now the other way? Making fares all inclusive rather than introducing more add ons.
Wrong call Ms McCall:=

EZYPZY
12th Jan 2012, 23:17
I thought all airline were required by law to offer at least ONE free method of payment??

AviationNE
13th Jan 2012, 06:55
I believe the fares are all inclusive and the first price you see includes the admin fee

Narrow Runway
13th Jan 2012, 08:28
"Seems to go against their business friendly strategy - OK maybe for families & groups."

Boo Hoo for big business. What a stupid comment.

Why should it be ok for families, but not for businesses to pay this charge?

easyflyer83
13th Jan 2012, 08:50
I think he means that for an average family of four booking flights the fee is fairly reasonable in that percentage wise, of the total transaction, it is less. If that makes sense.

lfc84
13th Jan 2012, 08:54
easyflyer83 - yes i think that is what was being alluded to.

The route i frequent has flybe as a direct competitor. the £9 admin fee now means that BE offer the lower lead in fare.

Chidken Sangwich
13th Jan 2012, 09:07
I believe the fares are all inclusive and the first price you see includes the admin fee

Not correct. Headline fares are shown, then the additional £9 is added on in the basket when confirming.

jdcg
13th Jan 2012, 15:15
However they present it, it's cynical in the extreme and completely against the spirit of recent legislative moves.
There are lots of business that I buy goods and services from who don't charge me an admin fee - why should airlines be different. I can understand if they are having to print something off for me (as is the case for theatre tickets often for example) but I check-in myself and print the boarding card myself. What are they doing for the £9?
I can understand the percentage for credit card usage but debit cards are a guaranteed payment.
It still may be better than the appalling FR (in this context) but it's really scummy business practice.

Skipness One Echo
13th Jan 2012, 15:19
The admin fee is simply a mark up pure and simple. The only reason that it's not in the headline fare is so that the "basefare" can be comically low only to disappoint you later once you come to pay for things.

Mr A Tis
13th Jan 2012, 15:20
Dear narrow....
I am NOT referring to big business, but business travellers. there is a difference.
If i book a one way flight for ONE it will cost me a £9 fee.
If a family of 5 book a return flight, then the £9 fee is spread over in effect 10 sectors. ie 90p each fee.
Understand now?:ugh:

Shed-on-a-Pole
13th Jan 2012, 15:52
Narrow Runway -

Pleased be advised that referring to comments as "stupid" and "Boo Hoo" just because you don't happen to agree with them does not impress other readers on this board. Especially in a case such as this where it appears that YOU are the one who has misunderstood the facts. Mr A Tis is a valued and long-term contributor on PPRuNe. He has been a positive contributor to discussions here going way back, and has won the respect of other readers whether they agree with his points or not.

You have some way to go before achieving the level of respect Mr A Tis has earned here, and the manner of your recent post will not elevate your reputation any time soon. If you have data or information which counters views expressed by other posters, please contribute these to the discussion. However, if your aim is to label valued members as "stupid" maybe you should not bother.

SHED.

The Flying Cokeman
13th Jan 2012, 16:28
EZY management's answer this Friday to why this fee has been applied:

"From yesterday, we are replaced our booking fee with an admin fee of £9. This fee will be included in all advertising, displayed as part of a full and final flight price at the first stage of the booking process and will be applied to all bookings, regardless of payment method and the number of flights booked.

The admin fee will be charged on all bookings and passengers using a credit card will pay an additional fee to cover handling costs. We will not charge for handling debit card payments It is necessary for us to charge an admin fee to contribute to a wide range of administrative costs which have increased throughout the airline and across Europe.

Inflation has been a significant driver of cost increase as well as our investment in IT (to improve the passenger experience) in our call centre (to cope with the extra burden of EU261 regulations - which make airlines responsible for delays, cancellations and right of care expenses during force majeure events such as volcanic eruptions, snow closures and ATC strikes), plus other central costs.

This has left us with no choice but to pass on some of the additional costs to passengers. These changes have been made in order to address the concerns raised by consumer bodies and regulators across the EU whilst retaining a simple, transparent and consistent booking process for all passengers regardless of nationality.
We will apply the charge per booking, rather than per person, because the overwhelming majority of our customers book multiple flights or flights with multiple passengers.
Other airlines charge for each person flying, so that a family of four would be charged £48 compared to only £9 when they travel with easyJet. We believe this offers the most passengers the best value for money."

wowzz
13th Jan 2012, 21:03
I still struggle to understand the logic behind EZY's argument.
When I go into Tesco/Asda/JS etc, none of them tell me that a further £9 will be required when I check-out. All the prices are displayed regardless of my final payment method - cash,debit or credit card.. All incur an admin cost of some sort or another, but this cost is absorbed by the total profit generated by my purchase. I believe it is classified under 'overheads'. Why do EZY [plus others] not seem to understand 'overheads' and their incorporation into a business model?
Why doesn't EZY just increase all its fares by £2 and proudly advertise 'No Hidden Extras!' Then we can all sleep easily in our beds knowing that we are not 'knowingly' being ripped off for some unjustifiable admin charge.

Saint Gallen
13th Jan 2012, 21:24
It seems I go from paying a fare and a credit card charge to a fare AND an admin fee and a booking card charge! Well I don't as I will probably eschew Sleazy once and for all for the airlines with leg room and spare capacity and normal service.

What I can't understand is by making themselves more transparent more people can see there are being more and more ripped off. Simply increase the fare and say you have not decided to implement any additional charges. 99% of people would not be any the wiser. A policy of honesty doesn't pay... if indeed it is honest!

Saint Gallen
13th Jan 2012, 21:26
"their" a319s... come on!

ncleflights
13th Jan 2012, 21:52
wowzz - I agree 100% I just can't understand the logic on this one. Infact I have trouble even to understand the easyjet statement.

It would have been much better just increasing all fares slightly and having no fee (admin or credit card). This would have been received far better by the fare paying public than adding a rather erroneous admin fee to a booking as folks will still think they are been ripped off.

racedo
13th Jan 2012, 22:51
Easyjet Found Guilty of Discriminating Against Disabled Passengers | The News (http://www.reducedmobility.eu/The-News/345/easyjet-found-guilty-of-discriminating-against-disabled-passengers.html)

Not good news on this front and not needed publicity.

easyflyer83
13th Jan 2012, 22:54
I don't really like the 'admin fee' either as I said a few posts back. However, and this won't be a very popular view, the consumer is partly to blame. There is an unrelenting thirst for cheap flights to the extent where a return fare of £150/£200 on a sector length of 4+ hours is deemed expensive. Nobody (I hope) would argue thats not a lot of money, to many people these days it is. However we have reached a point where those airlines who predominantly compete on price have to, to some extent, massage the figures in order to tap into this thirst and to keep up with the competition. That is why I support legislation to level the playing field in this respect......I don't think it should particularly be down to one airline because in my view a policy of "no extra's" would likely harm that carrier. It is my belief that it would still take close to a generation to break the cycle.

It's also interesting that there is alot more hysteria about this than the fuel surcharge adopted by various airlines at various points in the past. It's no different in my view.

Please don't mistake my sentiments, I don't particularly like the admin/card fee's and in fact it is the only extra that I don't really agree with. But I don't think the consumer is whiter than white on this issue for reasons I have cited.

racedo
13th Jan 2012, 23:12
I don't really like the 'admin fee' either as I said a few posts back. However, and this won't be a very popular view, the consumer is partly to blame.

Pretty much expected this as a get out by airlines from being hit by Consumer groups............consumer groups are sometimes their own worst enemy.

easyflyer83
13th Jan 2012, 23:24
Pretty much expected this as a get out by airlines from being hit by Consumer groups............consumer groups are sometimes their own worst enemy.

I don't particularly think airlines should use it as a get out but folk in general just aren't prepared to pay the true going rate for air travel. I think the vast majority of us are guilty of that.

Narrow Runway
14th Jan 2012, 07:27
Mr A-Tis,

You didn't say that though did you? Hence my incredulous reply.

Now, I can understand your comment slightly more - but I can never see why it should be more applicable for families than even a solo business traveller.

Most businesses can defray travel costs against their accounts and tax bills. Families cannot.

Only the most financially pressed business could not meet a £9 fee. In that case, they probably should be walking - not flying.

Shed-on-a-pole,

Stop being such an old Woman. I don't seek approval, or consensus on all subjects.

And I certainly don't seek your approval on a reply to an ambiguous posting by another individual.

I hope you get over the shock of the fee imposition soon. :rolleyes:

jdcg
14th Jan 2012, 09:17
Will the compulsory "admin" cost be included in price comparison websites? It seems to me that this is often where people start the flight search process these days. Is this a disingenuous ruse on the part of EZY to appear more competitive or price than they actually are?

paully
14th Jan 2012, 16:04
Very disingenuous of Easyjet and one I hope they arnt allowed to get away with. The OFT needs to ensure that all these little nasty charges are done away with and the `proper` price of the ticket is viewed right from the start, and applied right through the industry. The ferry industry seem to manage without the mark ups, its high time the Airlines were forced into line. This is the only way one will ever be able to clearly check and judge prices and MUST be enshrined in legislation.........I wont be hold me breath though...big business at work :ugh::ugh:

fa2fi
14th Jan 2012, 17:01
Dont see the problem. Lufthansa have been charging a ticket admin fee for years . Up to €18 per person long haul. €8 medium haul. €5 short haul. Never seen anyone complain much about that.

davidjohnson6
14th Jan 2012, 18:35
One of the common behaviours exhibited by many businesses is to give a better deal to your better customers. At the most basic level this can be seen in the supermarket with large packs of food costing less per kilo than small packs. This encourages customers to put more in their shopping basket and spend more. A charge per booking has the same effect - cheaper to pay for two flights at the same time rather than buying one now and deferring a decision about whether to buy a second flight for a later date.

deltahotel9
15th Jan 2012, 08:43
For the business traveller it probably doesn't make a huge difference but for a family of four going on holiday a single 8GBP is fee much better than the 8x6GBP fee with FR who still charge per person per leg, unless of course you happen to have one of their credit cards. Having said that it is the total cost that really matters despite how deviously it is arrived at.

ESCNI
17th Jan 2012, 17:20
But for the frequent single leisure traveller it is a nightmare.

:{

SWBKCB
17th Jan 2012, 17:25
EZY have announced today that a 320 will replace a 319 at NCL later this year (when?) - not a huge change but the first bit of positive news from EZY at NCL in quite a while

davidjohnson6
17th Jan 2012, 18:34
ESCNI - just buy your trips in one single booking instead of separately

ESCNI
17th Jan 2012, 19:39
ESCNI - just buy your trips in one single booking instead of separately

Thanks to Sky/ESPN, it is usually only possible to book flights for one match at a time.

:(

pamann
18th Jan 2012, 18:13
What's the chances of seeing some expansion at STN with EZY?

Mahon is one destination I can think of that's currently un-served (apart from the charter traffic).

Thad Jarvis
18th Jan 2012, 18:52
They're pulling aircraft out of STN, not adding them.

apaul
26th Jan 2012, 10:06
Good financial results for the airline. EasyJet boosted by rise in business passengers | Business | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jan/26/easyjet-boosted-rise-business-passengers)

h&s
26th Jan 2012, 21:13
Clearly, the airline benefited a lot from Ryanair winter capacities drop, strong swiss and french bases (with very favourable market conditions given AF no-reaction attitud), BMI reductions on UK domestics and Milan LH Italia end of operations.
I really doubt any of those good results aredue to good strategy, new team or new product. I even think their focus on business strategy is wrong and quite sure they are selling very little fully flex tickets or gaining any big corporate contract. They say they gained a lot of business passengers, well, based on their Q1 numbers (Oct-Dec), this is true in actual term as they had more capacities, but their corporate share is still 18%, as it has always been for the last 5 years. easyJet will never get more than 20-22% of business PAX just with more sales people or not very usefull fully flex offer.

racedo
26th Jan 2012, 21:50
Clearly, the airline benefited a lot from Ryanair winter capacities drop, strong swiss and french bases (with very favourable market conditions given AF no-reaction attitud), BMI reductions on UK domestics and Milan LH Italia end of operations.

Airline benefitted massively in there being no snow which screwed up operations across Europe in December 2010..............still a good set of results though irrespective of the reasons..

EI-BUD
26th Jan 2012, 23:15
I really doubt any of those good results aredue to good strategy, new team or new product. I even think their focus on business strategy is wrong and quite sure they are selling very little fully flex tickets or gaining any big corporate contract. They say they gained a lot of business passengers, well, based on their Q1 numbers (Oct-Dec), this is true in actual term as they had more capacities, but their corporate share is still 18%, as it has always been for the last 5 years. easyJet will never get more than 20-22% of business PAX just with more sales people or not very usefull fully flex offer.

I think you have it right there that EZY dont sell big amount of flex tickets but I would disagree that 'their focus on business strategy is wrong'.

Easyjet can charge fares slightly lower than BA and similar european flag carriers on routes with good frequency. The strategy of going to convenient/primary airports keeps them out of direct competition of Ryanair in many markets (yes there is a lot of duplication in some markets). Since they are then not in a lot of markets heavily competing with Ryanair but instread BA, IB, AZ, AF etc they can achieve more respectable yields.

I would also disagree that easyjet will only get 20-22% share of biz pax, I believe that the brand is growing in popularity. Bring in pre assigned seating, get that right and the offer is not far from most of its flag carriers competitors.

easyflyer83
26th Jan 2012, 23:41
I don't see why it's the wrong strategy. Business passengers (individually or institutionally) travel more frequently, they travel all year round and they generally pay more for there ticket. What part of that makes it wrong?

The exposure to business travel trade is growing and there have been contracts signed with businesses in the UK and on the Continent. Remember also that the business passenger isn't always the suited and booted self employed business man or exec but also skilled blue collar workers, convention staff etc etc.

As EI-BUD says, the strategy of setting up shop at slot constrained airports has done wonders for EZY. Higher fares can be charged and yields have increased pretty much every year. Meanwhile being at a slot constrained airport makes it harder for FR and other LCC's to start throwing in loads of aircraft over night. It makes sense. It also makes sense to tap into the large business market that use these airports. If flexi-tickets aren't selling (i'm not sure whether they are or not) this doesn't automatically mean few business travellers. Not every passenger on business needs a flexible ticket.

One thing I will disagree with EI-BUD on, and many others make the same assumption, and that is that free seating puts off business pax. From my experience and anecdotal evidence.....it doesn't. It actually appeals to many of these passengers. It's the leisure/VFR/infrequent flyers who generally hate free seating.

As for LH Italia, they found it hard to compete against Easyjet in MXP by all accounts although this Winter has admittedly so far been extremely kind to the industry.

The Flying Cokeman
26th Jan 2012, 23:58
easyJet will start allocated seating trials this year on a selected range of routes, watch this space.

Captain_Caveman
27th Jan 2012, 07:13
In response to the comments about business/fully flex passengers, easyJet has recently signed three big contracts with travel management companies including American Express amongst them. I can see the percentage of business passengers travelling with EZY only going in one direction over the next few years and its not down..... :ok:

Seljuk22
1st Feb 2012, 16:28
Due to the collapse of Spanair EZY brought forward the launch of MAD-BIO from 19th February to 30th January (last Monday).

EZY will open MAD-CPH 5 weekly (a former JK route) in May.

h&s
2nd Feb 2012, 21:00
Yes EI-BUD/easyflyer83, I probably did not express exactly what I wanted to say. Targeting business passengers is a normal strategy and makes sense I agree with you, however, they will never do that with this ridiculous fully flex offer. CEO is trying to make a big fuzz about it while she embarrasly had to reconise that they sold only a few of them (quite frankly, who would be surprised?).

About assigned seats, Southwest, which yield is easyJet dream, has not assigned seat and is very popular for business paxs. Because easyJet is not run by airline people and don't have a marketing approach (keep it simple!), they don't really know what is important to have or not. When you think they still don't have frequent flyer program (i know they have nectar but quite different). Still remember A.Harrison asked one day why U2 had no FFP, he replied than it was not the model, then the journalist said it was as most LCC had one (LUV, Virgin, vueling etc) which looks to really surprised him - ...

Whatever they do, I still think they will never achieve more than 20%/22% corporate share split, they have too many others issues (too high LFs, no FFP, no lounge/poor terminals etc) and my point was to say that the new Flex ticket (not even refundable) is a ridiculous tentative to do so

@captain_caveman: you are actually wrong. It's been more than 6 years now that easyJet says they want to achieve 20% biz split (and I don't understand why every new CEO is trying to say this is their new brillant idea) and the % is actually going down (not in actual terms of course as their capacities grow) from roughly 19/20% to 17/18%.

Main reason for their good quarter is of course the snow (but that doesn't explain relative performances vs. others airline), but above all Ryanair capacities decrease (U2 is the first to benefit from it) or some markets more favourable conditions (eg. Milan, Basel, UK domestics) or competitors inactivity (eg. France). I hardly see any market where competition increase (except maybe Madrid).

Despite good results, I personally believe McCall is not doing a good job. No new good innovation at all since she's there, no decision on fleet replanning (while max and neos availability now very far away), poor relation with Stelios, no communication/media activity, big fees in army of consultants as she has no understanding of the business whatsoever, and she still arrives with her chauffeur! :} (at least MOL does it for a reason)

easyflyer83
2nd Feb 2012, 23:52
I've not seen any stats regarding the flexi fare so i'll take your word for it. However having the option of a flexi fare mustn't be costing the company much though. Despite that just because the flexi fare isn't selling particularly well is no indication that business travellers aren't using Easyjet. As i've said before we all stereotype the business passenger as being the executive/owner etc when actually much of what is quantified as business travel includes employee's of all grades from the executive right down to the blue collar workers on the shop floor. And partly as a consequence the flexibility of a flexi ticket isn't needed. They now have an established relationship with the business travel trade and have secured corporate contracts with several big businesses.

Leisure or VFR will always be extremely important to Easy and will probably always remain the majority of the Easyjet market. Of course Easyjet has built itself on encouraging folk to spend there disposable income on extra holidays and making it cheap enough for those people to make it possible. But at the same time they are at all these major European (often slot constrained) airports where the business passenger is in abundance. Why does chasing that passenger seem such a bad move? As i said they fly more, fly all year and generally pay more.

Allocated seating. You are one of the few people who recognise that the business traveller doesn't mind or even likes free seating. Many seem to think otherwise. There is however a hell of a lot of Easyjet's passengers who don't like it and whilst I always think that the "boarding scrum" term is somewhat an exageration....I do believe allocated seating is the way forward. It's something that, provided it doesn't impact on OTP, the airline can do to make the experience better at little cost.

The frequent flyer scheme comes up occasionally even from employees within the company. I think the line has always been along the lines that it hasn't been needed, they do quite well without it thankyou

Agaricus bisporus
3rd Feb 2012, 00:16
Can someone please explain to this person who's only been in aviation 30 years what the heck U2 means...?
Or am I being dim?

I'm also intrigued to hear that staff morale at EJ has improved. In which part of the staff I wonder (apart from the multi£M bonused-to-death management). Do tell!

Aero Mad
3rd Feb 2012, 05:49
U2 is their IATA code, rather than EJ. Don't ask me why.

easyflyer83
3rd Feb 2012, 06:38
Yep U2 is just another (IATA) code for Easyjet. Not sure why people use it but you get the same people using DLH and BAW. I can only assume they are show offs knowing the lesser used codes. Lol.

Whichever way you look at it staff morale has improved. A survey from late 2010 put staff morale in the potentially destructive category. That's HR spiel for it does the company harm rather than safety concern. The survey of late last year saw a marked improvement and I can vouch for the fact that morale is alot better than it was. It's still not what it should be and more can be done IMO as I alluded to in my post.

lfc84
3rd Feb 2012, 08:31
If they are looking at allocated seating now and find it doesnt impact OTP, it begs the question why was it done that way in the first place? Was it simply one persons belief that it would be better?

Agaricus bisporus
3rd Feb 2012, 10:38
U2. IATA - that's something to do with package tours and ticketing isn't it? What the heck are people doing using that on a pilots forum? Trying to prove they're clever-clever admin anoraks or sumpn? What next, stock exchange or tax codes to identify airlines?

Oh dear.

groundagent
3rd Feb 2012, 11:26
U2. IATA - that's something to do with package tours and ticketing isn't it? What the heck are people doing using that on a pilots forum? Trying to prove they're clever-clever admin anoraks or sumpn? What next, stock exchange or tax codes to identify airlines?

I don't think its anything to do with people trying to be clever, its just the abbreviation they are used to. := Would you shorten Ryanair to RA or would you use FR (IATA code) or RYR (ICAO code)? People tend to use the most familiar to them. U2 is slightly odd as it is not as familiar as the easyJet flight numbers use EZY as their designator.

I would have thought after over 1500 posts on this type of forum you would have had some sort of knowledge and not just put it down to people being anoraks particularly as this section is relating to airlines and routes . . . :mad:

Airbourne-Adamski
3rd Feb 2012, 16:27
Just for interest found this on google news from the leicestershire news group.

Low-cost airlines easyJet and Flybe have declined to rule themselves out as the mystery buyer of rival bmibaby.
It comes after another rival, Jet2, yesterday told the Leicester Mercury it had not bought the carrier from Castle Donington airline group BMI.
Many analysts had suggested the Leeds-based operator was the likely buyer after BMI announced on Wednesday it had completed a preliminary deal to sell its budget subsidiary to a UK business.
Luton-based Monarch has also denied being the buyer.
BMI will not name the buyer or provide any more details about the deal.
When asked yesterday if they had bought bmibaby, spokeswomen for both Luton-based easyJet and Exeter-based Flybe would neither confirm or deny the suggestion

Just noticed this has also been posted on the BMIBaby thread.

Airbourne-Adamski
3rd Feb 2012, 16:32
Something else in the news.............

EasyJet will make a decision on its fleet strategy by the end of the year, according to its head of fleet and central procurement Chris Essex. Explaining the low-cost carrier's plans at its investor day on 31 January, Essex said EasyJet is "actively evaluating the re-engined Airbus Neo and Boeing 737 Max as well as the Bombardier CSeries".

The airline launched a fleet evaluation in September 2011, and is studying the "relative economics of the competing types" across their life cycles. Essex said that an increased choice of suppliers and "game-changing fuel savings promised by the new fuel technologies from CFM and Pratt & Whitney", coupled with "the attractiveness of winning an EasyJet order" would lead to "a very competitive tender".

Essex said the London Luton-based carrier's business case rested on its ability to "generate long-term benefits" and if this could not be demonstrated at the end of the evaluation, then EasyJet would continue with its "current arrangements". He said the airline intended to complete the process and make a decision during the fourth quarter of 2012.

Aircraft order backlogs would not affect any potential order, said Essex. "Our reading of the situation is that manufacturers are not selling out their delivery slots consecutively," he said, so as not to "be in a position of telling a strategic customer...actually no you can't come to us".

As a result Essex said that EasyJet felt there was still plenty of time and opportunity to negotiate and place a fleet order

wowzz
3rd Feb 2012, 20:39
Interesting to note that the Bombardier C Series has rotating over-head lockers. Does any other aircraft offer this locker system?

Silvertop
3rd Feb 2012, 23:14
If they are looking at allocated seating now and find it doesnt impact OTP, it begs the question why was it done that way in the first place? Was it simply one persons belief that it would be better?easyJet management can be very arrogant & blinkered IMHO, they beleive that their way is the best way so why change? Also a company they once bought, Go-Fly used (very successfuly) allocated seating, so they could'nt be seen to adopt a proceedure of the company that they had just bought! Even if it clearly worked, was popular witht pax and was superior!:ugh::ugh:

They'll get there eventually probably:rolleyes:

jabird
3rd Feb 2012, 23:39
Silvertop,

Even if it clearly worked, was popular witht pax and was superior!

Was it not also a legacy of Sir Stelios' visit to Smokin Herb? One of the big mantras of low cost airlines was - shove 'em on quick, let 'em off quick - and accepted wisdom was that random seating was the best way to do this?

Of course, I still remember reading the blurb about using cheaper airports back when I took my first easy flight in 1996 - that one has long gone, so if now is the time to allocate seats - and gain extra yield for anyone who wants to pre-select any time before they get to the airport -then why not?

flyer55
4th Feb 2012, 11:28
Easyjets operation at lgw are they still planning to occupy both terminals ??

Whalerider
7th Feb 2012, 23:04
As far as I am concerned EZY have shot themselves in the foot big time with their introduction of a £9 'admin fee' per booking.
I have flown with EZY about 150 times, but they will now be losing my business big time. I often travel on my own, so £9 per time is in my opinion hitting the solo traveller. Notice that fare adverts now add 'based on two people travelling' - so they don't want to discourage the solo traveller. When you add the baggage fee EZY are now often more expensive than the competition.
I have just booked an LGW-GLA return flight for 6 weeks time. B.A. were £30 (THIRTY) cheaper would you believe. And of course on B.A. I will get a drink and sandwich thrown in - AND, do not have to suffer the boarding scrum !

On the subject of Frequent Flyer Programme, EZY do not and never have shown any loyalty to their regular customers. In contrast they should look at how Norwegian Air Shuttle treat their regular customers.

When travelling on my own EZY have now lost my business. B.A. at LGW must be very happy indeed.

johnnychips
7th Feb 2012, 23:34
Just checked a Wizz flight for £16.99. Then found there is a £7 'Booking Fee' then £7 for paying by Visa.

With any airline, you really need to go to the end of the booking process to find out exactly what you're paying! But as you say, it is a pain for the single traveller - I would assume these add-on fees wouldn't change if I were with my family, and from what you say it's the same with Easy.

paully
8th Feb 2012, 08:35
Still cant understand why they are all not being forced to put all the `costs` into the upfront headline price....Then the travelling public can make their decisions based on a rather easy to see level playing field..........

JSCL
8th Feb 2012, 08:42
paully,

Maybe because the fee isn't always the same at some airlines so it's hard to put it in the upfront cost? EZY add the one-off fee for each booking, so until you get to the cart to 'Checkout', they can't really add it in. No point in adding it to the listed price because if you add a few other flights - that price becomes inaccurate.

FR charge differently based on how you pay, so that's (again) not easy to put in to a list price because they can't assume how you're going to pay. I disagree with these stupid charges, but I tend to avoid Loco's all the time.

Shed-on-a-Pole
8th Feb 2012, 13:03
It should be possible to display the inclusive price from the outset, because as part of doing a fare search the customer inserts the number of travellers. Therefore, the system should be programmed to display a price befitting the number of passengers selected. I can well understand why an airline which is intent on ripping off single travellers (such an easy target) may not wish to display this clearly, but they should be obliged to do so. I have no sympathy with opaque pricing and sleight-of-hand trickery in financial transactions. And yes, a GBP9 hidden single traveller fine does mitigate against me choosing EasyJet for travel where an honest alternative exists.

I have always routinely avoided companies which discriminate against single customers with the likes of "two-for-one" offers anyway. I refer to those deals as SPAD's (Singles PAy Double). If a company won't spread the benefits around, they can sell to somebody else. Single supplements and the like should directly reflect an additional cost to the supplier (such as a semi-occupied hotel room). Discrimination against singles where no additional costs are incurred by the supplier is risible. The very hallmark of a clueless and bereft management strategy. The action of a company which demands to be held in low regard in comparison to its peers.

SL.EASYJET ... Shame on you!

TSR2
8th Feb 2012, 15:28
Very well said Shed. I couldn't agree more.

Mr A Tis
8th Feb 2012, 15:37
I don't understand why airlines, including EZY have succumbed to the Ryanisation of airline travel.
Instead of assuming we all want RYR style travel & assuming that LoCo must = Ryan style, why don't they emphasise a different style of operation? including pricing policy amongst other services.

LoCo does not always = Low fare airline.

Norwegian, Air Berlin & SWA are all LoCos but offer a different level of service.

Airlines, should be playing to their strengths & promoting that you could in fact get more for less, instead they seem to be promoting getting less for more.

I have made recent bookings with KLM, Lufthansa & Brussels airlines & found the fares to be less than EZY or ZB thus getting more for less, it's a shame they don't promote themselves more in this way.

The good thing is that we the pax have a choice & it's time the big boys stopped assuming the only way to operate is by taking everything to the lowest basic denominator.

easyflyer83
9th Feb 2012, 03:09
...... and then the airlines lose out hand over fist as they won't be marketing to the vast majority of the market. I'm like you, I think things could be made better by emphasising a little bit more quality here and there but your average Joe doesn't want it. Price price price price to the extent that a £199 fare to TFS is deemed expensive!

I've always made my feelings known about the card charges and admin fee.....I don't really agree with it either but it's unlikely to change until legislation is in place that forces ALL carriers to play on a level field. Until then it's not likely to happen.

That said, despite the impending doom propheted by some here, I don't think Easyjet will suffer. Yields are increasing, passenger numbers are generally increasing and profit is increasing at Easyjet which means they are doing something very right. Whatever mine or your views are on the matter Easyjet is a profitable business in a back drop of severe economic hardship and they are still extrememly strong. Whatever they're doing must be right in so many ways. Whether or not those ways are ethical, one can debate away.

It's obvious i'm an employee but I can be Easyjet's biggest critic but I don't always subscribe to the fact that the vast majority of the flying public are being misrepresented and infact want more staff, full service style onboard product etc etc. Of course the vast majority want it ....it's just the majority of that vast majority just aren't bloody prepared to pay it. So whilst I accept and agree that the fee maybe underhanded it's no different IMO to fuel surcharges and a large dollop of the blame falls squarely on you and I who forever demand low fares.

FR-
9th Feb 2012, 07:58
Do easyJet crews do any night stops from LTN base?

fr-

Facelookbovvered
9th Feb 2012, 08:57
Passengers tend to get the level of service they deserve based on the price they are willing to pay and FR are the masters of this! Not that there is much wrong with what they do, it's more how they do it.

Having watched the unpacking and re packing of luggage of people boarding FR flight and then queuing topay the excess charges many would have been better of paying more with another carrier in the first place!

But in the bar in IBZ the talk will be of a return flight for £19.99 although the amount paid will much more, there is something wrong when a product is advertised at £9.99 but ends up costing £79.99 at the till, Jet2 are no better.

To get an idea of what a flight will cost look at the bmibaby web site, they show 3 types of fare for each flight, the fly business or whatever it's called is a lot closer to the mark of what you'll end up paying if you select economy then go through build your own procces, how many people do that I do not know.

Back to EasyJet, flown with them a lot of late and it's difficult to fault, clean aircraft lots of leg room excellent cabin crew and flight deck, who a version of English that I could understand, not level four Eastern European version, given he choice they tend to be mine unless BA are close on price

Shed-on-a-Pole
9th Feb 2012, 09:27
easyflyer83 -

I accept your point that the general public is generally unwilling to pay for a fully-inclusive service these days. It is for this reason that certain optional extras such as additional baggage, on-board meals and so on are sold and itemised separately. This is an inconvenience with respect to the speed of the booking process, but I recognise the justification for it. But we must be clear here: those who purchase an optional extra pay exactly the same for it as do their counterparts, and they receive a tangible product in return for their money.

The fine levied against single travellers is entirely different. There is NO enhancement to the product for those targeted by this, and it is not applied equally across customers purchasing an identical product at the same time. Fuel surcharges, whilst objectionable as an 'extra', are at least shared between all customers equally. As a customer, I actually believe that items such as fuel should constitute part of the headline price at all times. I am very happy for airlines to sell travel at a price which covers all costs and allows for a reasonable profit margin, but unavoidable elements of the fare should be included in the first price displayed. They are not an optional extra.

As a regular customer, there are certain things I require from my travel provider. I want a simple booking process which shows the true price at the outset. No tricks, chicanery or spivvery. I want a final price which is fair to provider and customer alike. I want to receive what I have paid for. And, I want to know that the company values my business and will treat me with respect. EasyJet has now spectacularly violated that last requirement. Many singles are very frequent travellers offering a high level of repeat business, as I do myself. But the message I perceive from EasyJet now is this: we see you as easy prey, a soft target. We will discriminate against you and rip you off with a fine which offers you *nothing* in return for the extra money we extract from you.

It is one thing to not offer a frequent flyer programme. But it is quite another to discourage a valuable segment of the market with a discriminatory fine for the crime of traveling alone. This will cost EasyJet goodwill and repeat business from customers of long-standing. Fool me once, shame on you ... fool me twice ...

I do wonder if EasyJet management wish to consider random additional charges levied against travellers on the grounds of race, religion or sexual orientation. Well, apparently outrageous discrimination against one minority group (singles) is fine, so why not others as well? The moral principle is the same; the shameful act of ripping off a specific minority group is identical. Why should widows, nuns, and those who simply choose to travel alone be selected for financial repression in this manner? Where is the justification?

Sadly, I find myself in agreement with Stelios for once. If this despicable attack on the single traveller is indicative of EasyJet management's corporate culture, then indeed they DO NOT deserve a bonus.

SHED.

one post only!
9th Feb 2012, 10:14
Shed, just take a mate with you or maybe a mail order bride. That solves the problem!

One way of looking at the fee is that everyone pays a fuel surcharge/booking fee with other airlines. However, If you bulk book with EZY you get a "discount" in that only one person pays the admin fee. This benefits families so many will like it (Liking it being relative!!).

Rather than viewing it as discriminating against singles you could consider that it is being used to win business from families and groups?

I get your points and kind of agree but I think its taking it a little bit far to suggest its similar to charging people dependant on race, religion or sexual orientation!!!! I mean really. You do seem to be getting a tad worked up over this one!

If things were changed to benefit singles like yourself, families would suffer! This charge benefits bulk orders. This is generally the case all over the world in any industry.

The world has changed. People demand low "headline" fares. Generally unsustainable fares. The price you see is the price you never pay. We all know this. It can take quite a while therefore to compare prices but if you sit down its not difficult.

I just don't think its worth getting all worked up over! Yeah it does penalise the people who travel on their own regularly.....but it benefits families and groups. Maybe someone somewhere has worked out its families that are feeling the pinch more???

Given the number of companies and supermarkets offering meal deals and BOGOF's you must have run out of places to buy food!!!

I just consider some things in life worthy of getting worked up about and others just not worth it. Think of your blood pressure.

I totally agree about the board bonuses and I totally understand why you are irritated by this.

Shed-on-a-Pole
9th Feb 2012, 11:20
one post only -

Neither families nor singles benefit in any way from the imposition of a random additional charge ("admin fee") which should be included in the basic fare as part of the integral cost of doing business. Giving a "discount" on what is effectively a fine for booking is unlikely to garner praise from anyone, let alone those picked on to pay more than "their share" of the burden. At least the other unfair hidden charges are levied across all customers equally.

Like it or not, single travellers ARE a minority group. Targeting them for financial repression is no different in moral terms than penalising Jews, gays or females. It has just been overlooked in terms of legislation. If singles receive something extra for their additional fee (eg. use of a double hotel room), fair enough. Otherwise, no way. There is no additional cost to the business in this case. A single customer uses half the number of seats as a couple, and therefore it is fitting that the price paid should be exactly half as much.

Even if this immoral business practice did in some way encourage families to book (though I'm not sure how random additional fees, even at a reduced rate, achieve this), many families fly just one round trip per year. A large number of single tavellers fly very frequently. Penalising them is not good for business. You say that if charges were changed to benefit singles like me, families would suffer. Well, I'm not looking to get a *better* deal than families. I just expect to pay an identical price for an identical product. Parity. To be treated equally and not ripped off. This is hardly an unreasonable expectation, is it?

This unequally applied charge is a major blunder by EasyJet however they dress it up or try to justify it.

PS. The big difference with BOGOF promotions in a supermarket is that a single customer can buy and use two bags of sugar. They cannot travel twice on the same flight. And if a restaurant charges two main courses at the same price as one ... they can darned well bring me two meals!!! I can always ask for a doggy-bag at the end!

Skipness One Echo
9th Feb 2012, 11:31
We used to sell 800g loaves and 400g loaves, the 400g loaves were almost the full price of the 800g ones yet pensioners on a single measly income were uncomfortable to waste. Life is made for couples alas, the market economy often does have it's head up it's backside.

Mr A Tis
9th Feb 2012, 12:18
The simple answer is to fly with BA, KLM, Lufthansa Brussels airlines etc, I am finding on almost every trip now (as a single traveller) they are cheaper than Easy, Monarch or Ryanair.

The booking is easier, simpler & more transparent.

I was in BCN last week & the check in hall was awash with dozens of pax re packing suitcases by the Ryanair desks. Looked like a refugee camp than an airport.

The week before I was in Alicante, where the Easy Speedy boarding check in queue was about 30 people deep because every pax at the front was arguing about excess baggage.

It ain't worth it. Just how many people fly these "low Co" airlines & actually end up paying more than legacy carriers?

one post only!
9th Feb 2012, 12:40
Maybe families can only afford one flight a year so charging them all may stop them flying this year. Singles like yourself who clearly (in this case) have more disposable income and travel regularly will probably be able to afford the increase? Its all really about getting all the revenue they can from each passenger.

I am not justifying it. I am just trying to explain it! Whatever it's called it all goes towards bonus payments anyway.

I just found your comparison of penalising people booking a single ticket similar to racism, sexism or homophobia, to be honest, rather amusing.

If its a blunder market forces will prevail and the charge will be changed, dropped or spread over all bookings.

Even if there is an admin fee and the tickets are still cheaper people will still fly EZY. If they aren't then they won't.

I actually pretty much agree with you. I just find your conclusion that its morally similar to oppressing other minority groups very amusing.

This is not someone oppressing you. It is simply business. That's life! By all means complain about the structure of the fee. That's fine. But please don't present a rather laughable argument that morally its the same as persecuting a minority group.

Personally though I don't think there should be an admin fee. It should all be wrapped up in the cost of the seat.

Have you written to the CEO to express your view? Try it. Rather than venting on here make a direct attempt to make change. Good luck.

Shed-on-a-Pole
9th Feb 2012, 13:25
one post only -

As you say, we are not far apart on certain points. However, whilst you find my suggestion that single travellers are a bona fide minority group "laughable", I must retort that your idea that families are poor and singles are rich is similarly "laughable". We just cannot generalise like that. What about multi-income families? What about widows? Ah, your husband is dead! Now you can pay extra!!! Some people are wealthy, others are not, regardless of their family situation. Ripping them off based on such a generalisation is not justifiable.

Customers purchasing identical products at the same time should not face discriminatory predatory pricing. If a manager cannot generate profit using a fair and equitable pricing structure then that individual should step aside in favour of a capable replacement. Promotional deals designed to boost bookings can be devised without selectively and unfairly disadvantaging a core group of the existing customer base. And a supposed discount on a "fee for nothing" doesn't come across as a compelling deal anyway.

one post only!
9th Feb 2012, 15:19
Shed, I don't find you calling single travellers a bona fide minority group laughable, what I do find laughable is that you can call the fiscal repression you face the same as discrimination against other minority groups based on sex, religion etc. Come on. That's just ridiculous.

I am not generalising about singles and families. I said in this case. As in you. You said you travel regularly as a single. Therefore you clearly can afford it and must have a lot of disposable income. It is therefore a reasonable assumption that you have money. It was not a generalisation it was a specific case.

Again I suggest you write or become a majority shareholder and move aside those managers discriminating. Or even better whenever there is a single out there that is oppressed by a BOGOF, by a 2 for one offer and by a couple only deal I shall expect you now to scale the houses of parliament and wave your underpants in protest at the brutal oppression of this modern day highway robbery. Maybe also when a family consisting of 5 people is penalised by the 2 adults 2 children you can protest on their behalf (although lets not mention they got their tickets cheaper than you with EZY).

We will be here all day. This is now not about EZY but about your perceived idea that the world unfairly discriminates against singles.

Whatever you say I will still find the idea of a pricing structure that discriminates on the basis of a single purchase akin to racism, sexism or homophobia ridiculous.

Bulk purchases generally bring about a discount. That's life. Seat prices change based on supply and demand so you might get them cheaper than a group or family anyway. Maybe that will make you feel better.

As this is now nothing really to do with EZY lets end our thrilling discussion (as riveting as I am sure it is for the enthralled PPruNe masses) and head our separate ways......you get climbing a ladder to the top of parliament....I am going to go and bulk buy some products from a wholesaler so I can annoy my minority group (not saying which group) neighbour who shops at the supermarket and is therefore brutally oppressed for buying items individually.

I totally agree the fee is unfortunate for single ticket purchasers, they may be singletons, widows, nuns, business men, family members travelling alone or possibly divorced flightless birds but I am quite sure its not a form of repression. I will speak to my friend who is a leading human rights lawyer but I think I know what the answer will be.....

Hipennine
9th Feb 2012, 15:41
I have noted several times that a single ticket is quoted as less than multiple tickets booked at the same time on Squeezy. It can be more cost effective to make more than one booking if several people are travelling together, even after the £9 charge, particularly on the more popular flights.

Shed-on-a-Pole
9th Feb 2012, 16:36
one post only -

You are right that we should end this discussion, so I will answer your final challenges and move on. The case I have put forward refers to the principle of equitable pricing for identical products. Whether or not I personally would be considered wealthy or impoverished is entirely irrelevant and has no place in this debate. It is not about one customer. Perhaps you believe that people wearing suits should pay GBP5.00 for a tin of beans whilst those wearing jeans and a t-shirt should pay GBP1.00. Not so. The pricing of a product should represent the cost of providing it plus a reasonable margin of profit. And that includes EasyJet fares. The idea that I should pay extra for identical products because you deem me able to afford being ripped off is absurd. Think about it.

You go on to say that "this is not now about EZY". Yes, it is. And it has been throughout this discussion (wrt my postings anyway). For it is they who have introduced a discriminatory and predatory charge which penalises single travellers without any justification or resulting product enhancement in return. My point in mentioning minority groups is not to weigh the respective issues concerning each group, but to point out that single travellers are a minority group. They are. And EasyJet is discriminating against this group and deserves to take flak for its behaviour in consequence. I do not claim that the whole world discriminates against singles; far from it. BUT EASYJET DOES! That is the point here.

Unless I am directly addressed by a subsequent poster here, I propose to let this topic rest now. The points have been made.

one post only!
9th Feb 2012, 17:20
I never said you should pay more because you can afford it. The costs of the seat vary anyway so some people will always pay more for the same service irrespective. That's air travel, hotels....capitalism in general.

You could argue that late bookers are penalised against also as they often pay more. Is this predatory and discriminatory?? You would say so. I would say its supply and demand. Who said it all has to be fair? You pay what you pay on the day. Just accept it and move on!

I keep saying I actually don't agree with this charge. I just thought that comparing the admin fee to racism, sexism or homophobia was completely and utterly ridiculous and I am sure you know perfectly well that it is a rather silly argument. I totally agree with you otherwise.

Whatever, it all boils down to the final cost.

I feel like I have just wasted hours of my life.....

ESCNI
9th Feb 2012, 17:44
I suspect that some lazy management numptie just thought...

single traveller = rich businessman

...rather than...

single traveller = frequent leisure traveller or pensioner or student or relative visiting family or etc, etc, etc

:=

Andrew R
9th Feb 2012, 18:00
I wish there was an airline where last minute tickets where really cheap and it was almost a lottery if you got them.

For example if you turn up at the airport on the day and a buy a ticket it would be really cheap.

Shed-on-a-Pole
9th Feb 2012, 21:42
one post only -

Your further comment necessitates additional clarification from myself. Seat pricing does vary based upon bookings made at different times. Those who book early get one price, those who book late get another. This is simple economics. It is above board yield management strategy in action and my earlier postings make clear that I am not arguing against this process. My postings refer to IDENTICAL products (ie. those booked simultaneously for the same flight) attracting a differing "admin charge" from EasyJet according to who is making the booking. Note the wording *AT THE SAME TIME* present in my earlier posting(s). The admin charge which is the subject of my comments is applied equally to early bookings and late bookings, regardless of how fully sold (or not) a flight may be. But it is not applied equally per customer; this is the bit I do object to.

"YOU WOULD SAY SO": Please do not presume to know what I would say in a new discussion. Nowhere have I argued against higher tariffs for late bookings in accordance with accepted yield management principles. Do not select a new area of discussion and tell readers here what my views on that subject will be.

Finally, I do NOT compare the admin fee to racism / sexism. It is you who seems "utterly ridiculous" for suggesting that. I point out that single travellers are a minority group (as indeed they are), and that other minority groups could not be penalised with impunity in the way EasyJet have stung singles in this instance. That is a quite different assertion to the one you infer.

Let's just stick debating to what I have actually written, rather than what you would like me to have written. In return, I will not apply your logic to new scenarios upon which you have never passed comment, and in which your arguments do not fit. And I will not tell other readers what you would think in a wholly new area of discussion.

As you suggest, I think we have the discriminatory "admin fee" debate covered now.

Mr A Tis
10th Feb 2012, 08:47
Blimey, I hope Ms McCall is now clear on the matter.
I'm off to book another legacy flight ( without single supplement)...:)

Dannyboy39
10th Feb 2012, 20:39
Apologies, haven't followed the majority of this thread.

Easyjet have led a strong marketing campaign in recent years to encourage business people to use their airline. Why would you alienate your key target market like this?! Shear stupidity. :mad:

Business passengers are absolutely crucial for any legacy carrier. This is a major own goal for easyJet and just adds more fuel to Stelios' fire.

pwalhx
10th Feb 2012, 21:05
Methinks people are far too exercised by the £9.00

I fly for business and will make a decision based on price and convenience. providing the convenience is there lets look at it this way on price.

Airline A all charges included £150 return
Airline B all charges included £140 return
Easyjets £90 plus the £9 fee = £99 return

Will I say no I wont fly easy because of that damnable fee, course not.

Mr A Tis
10th Feb 2012, 23:14
I agree with you, except, I'm finding airline A & airline B are cheaper than Easy now, and of course airline A & B make it clear its all in , tickets, bags, boarding, snack etc.........whilst after various additions Easy plods in with airline b price + £9 & often even more.

DomyDom
10th Feb 2012, 23:38
Anyone any news on new EZY routes out of MAN to be announced later this year? Hopefully willy jousting againts AF in Toulouse will not have been sufficient reason to delay further expansion at MAN for too much longer. DomyDom:)

Shed-on-a-Pole
11th Feb 2012, 13:45
one post only -

YOUR ACCUSATION AGAINST ME (your words not mine): "comparing the admin fee to racism, sexism or homophobia."

How does that work? How do you compare an admin fee to racism? Or sexism? Or homophobia? It is a fee! That is why your own "utterly ridiculous" comment befits your own remarks rather than what I wrote.

What I did do (and explained in clear English) was to compare a minority group (single travellers) with other minority groups, making the point that it is deemed acceptable by EasyJet to discriminate against one minority group in a way that they would not dare to attempt against others.

I note that in the latest retort you triumphantly proclaim that I did compare *IT* to racism or sexism. Good choice of word there. Because "it" wasn't the fee I compared (as you said earlier). "It" was the relative treatment of singles versus other minority groups.

Once again, you appear keen to argue against what you want me to have written rather than against what I actually have written. Please don't do that. It is tiresome.

NOTE: This comment was submitted as a response to a posting which is no longer visible on the thread.

davidjohnson6
11th Feb 2012, 14:33
shed and one post - I'm sure that you both mean well and you both raise good points, but could you try to resolve your differences of opinion through private messaging please ?

ESCNI
11th Feb 2012, 20:40
Methinks people are far too exercised by the £9.00

I fly for business and will make a decision based on price and convenience. providing the convenience is there lets look at it this way on price.

Airline A all charges included £150 return
Airline B all charges included £140 return
Easyjets £90 plus the £9 fee = £99 return

Will I say no I wont fly easy because of that damnable fee, course not.

Exactly. As a single business flyer, an extra £9 on a £90+ flight (paid for by the business) makes little difference to you.

Whereas, to us, an extra £9 on a £50+ flight (paid for out of our own pocket) makes a very significant difference.

:{

racedo
11th Feb 2012, 21:44
shed and one post - I'm sure that you both mean well and you both raise good points, but could you try to resolve your differences of opinion through private messaging please ?

:D Agree completely DJ6

pwalhx
12th Feb 2012, 12:35
'Exactly. As a single business flyer, an extra £9 on a £90+ flight (paid for by the business) makes little difference to you.

Whereas, to us, an extra £9 on a £50+ flight (paid for out of our own pocket) makes a very significant difference.'

You miss my point if the £59.00 is still cheaper than the other options available is it not still a better deal.

racedo
12th Feb 2012, 12:47
You miss my point if the £59.00 is still cheaper than the other options available is it not still a better deal.

Please stop allowing facts get in the way of someone's Rant..

Whalerider
14th Feb 2012, 16:11
Some excellent points in previous posts.

I agree with comment attracting about having spent a great deal of time attracting single business traveller (who pays himself), then shooting yourself in the foot. Yes - not every single traveller is a rich business traveller.

From what i can see we are now paying for ezy directors nice big bonus.

Go get 'em stelios

easyflyer83
14th Feb 2012, 22:21
Stelios has his own agenda. He has been kicking up a fuss about various things and bonuses are just the latest. Do I agree with the bonuses? That depends but let's face it, big bonuses come with big business and Easyjet aren't the exception by any stretch. Bonuses may seem excessive but that's the going rate regardless of whether it's ethical or not. What I will say in support of the board, Carolyn McCall in particular, is that they have turned OTP around incredibly from a historical low of Summer 2010 to the best summer in its 16 year history in 2011. Profit has exceeded expectation, pax numbers have generally increased and so has yield. So whist we can debate the bonus figure, we really can't argue the premise behind the bonus payment. I can be their biggest critic at times but looking at it in cold hard business facts, I arrive at my above judgement.

With such a strong performance from Easyjet you have to ask yourself what actually is Stelios' problem?

The card fee: I've already conceded that I think legislation should be brought in to level the playing field and stop things such as booking fee's, admin fee's, fuel surcharges etc..... Not just with airlines but everywhere. However, my argument on singe travellers is this. It's a booking fee....one transaction is one booking so why should someone pay more than once just because there are multiple people on the one booking? I visited a car park in Barnsley today. I arrived at the same time as a family yet I had to pay the same as 4 people. Is it fair? Yes because you pay per car just like you pay per booking at EZY. Get over it.

Shed-on-a-Pole
15th Feb 2012, 02:04
easyflyer83 -

I am familiar with your posting record and note that you inject alot of common sense into the discussions to which you contribute. So be assured that it is with respect that I point out that your car parking analogy doesn't work here. When four people travel with EasyJet they pay four fares (one each); the "admin fee" is levied in addition to this for a reason which is not clearly explained. The product being purchased by the EasyJet customer is a flight / journey, not the opportunity to use a proprietary in-house booking facility. When one parks a car, the only sum paid is the price levied for parking a vehicle in a convenient secure location for a specified period of time. There is no additional "admin fee" charged for using the ticket machine in any car park I have come across. Therefore, the equivalent comparison has to be the fare (EasyJet) versus the parking charge (car park). The car park levies a single inclusive fee charged on the basis of one space being occupied; all cars are charged identical rates for equivalent parking.

Aside from the unequal application of the EasyJet "admin fee" (I will not repeat earlier points made on this issue) there can be no suggestion that GBP9.00 in any way reflects the cost of EZY's reservation system processing a transaction (regardless of how many heads actually book). I cannot see any justification for such an item to be charged separately from the headline fare. And this headline fare should ideally be comprised of all inherent costs incurred in supplying the service provided, plus a reasonable profit margin for the operator.

Moving on to your point about Stelios and EasyJet management bonuses. I agree with you that Stelios has a broad agenda which stretches well beyond bonus disputes. Bonuses are no more than the ammunition-du-jour in an ongoing public civil war within EasyJet; an excuse for further insults to be traded. I have actually posted on this subject in the past, suggesting that an amicable separation between the two parties would be the optimum outcome. This could be achieved by Stelios and related parties placing their shares with a willing institutional buyer, as selling into the open market would destroy the share price. EasyJet is a generally attractive business and it should be possible to find a party which would be interested in buying out the family's stake.

With regard to EasyJet's management performance, I would suggest that they have generally done a good job over recent years. They have moved into major airports, taken the image upmarket, improved OTP, made tentative inroads into the business market, and ... most importantly ... produced good load factors and healthy financial returns. Actually, this is one of the reasons why I am so disappointed by the recent "admin fee" fiasco. It is the first notable retrograde step by the EZY management in a long time, and the first decision in years which thrusts the company back downmarket in the direction of the industry spivs. Additional hidden charges are not the way to go, particularly inequitably applied ones.

I did make an earlier tongue-in-cheek remark suggesting that the management should perhaps forego some of their bonus in view of the "admin charge" blunder. In reality, I think that the good things the management team has achieved still outweigh the bad, and I do favour incentivising management teams generally for achieving profit targets and maintaining an elevated shareprice relative to industry peers. For me, the "admin fee" is an ugly own-goal which requires corrective action, but overall the company has done more right than wrong. A battle has been forfeited, but the war is not lost. I do hope that EasyJet will recognise the wisdom of resuming its gradual ascent upmarket, and that it will not follow up the "admin fee" with similar unsavoury stunts drawn from the realms of the lowest common denominator.

I certainly would like to see an amicable divorce agreed between EasyJet and Stelios as a matter of urgency. The company has bent over backwards to accommodate his demands, including special dividends distributed and fleet orders curtailed. Management must be given the freedom to structure the company to meet the challenges of the marketplace rather than the demands of a former majority owner with increased personal income seemingly his sole priority. As part of this process, EasyJet in turn needs to continue to improve its reputation and consequent appeal to business (as well as leisure) travellers. Dodgy hidden charges added late in the booking process undeniably damage the customer experience, an unexpected retrograde step which is sad to see at this point in EasyJet's development.

In conclusion, easyflyer83, I agree with pretty much all your points except that relating to the inequitable "admin fee" and the associated car parking analogy.

Best Regards. SHED.

ESCNI
15th Feb 2012, 15:25
I visited a car park in Barnsley today. I arrived at the same time as a family yet I had to pay the same as 4 people. Is it fair? Yes because you pay per car just like you pay per booking at EZY. Get over it.
:ugh:

one car (with four people) = one space

one car (with one person) = one space

four people on plane = four seats

... however, one person on plane = only one seat

simples :rolleyes:

Owlery
15th Feb 2012, 15:42
I don't want to appear as an Easyjet apologist, but to see fair play I have to make a small point about the admin fee.
Shed says that it should be shown up front as it's part of the fare. Sounds reasonable at first glance, but that assumes you're only booking the one flight.

Even as a single traveller (which I tend to be most of the time), you may well book several flights in the same transaction; for instance, if you're travelling somewhere on a weekly basis you might book a block of flights to take advantage of the current cheaper price (and get the job out of the way for a while).

For that booking the admin fee is a total of £9, even if there are (say) nine journeys involved; so it would be wrong to advertise each flight as including a £9 fee. In this example the fee is only £1 per flight.

easyflyer83
15th Feb 2012, 16:32

four people on plane = four seats

... however, one person on plane = only one seat

four people on plane = One Transaction

... however, one person on plane = only one Transaction

You see we can both validate our argument simply by filling in the blanks as I've done above. A booking fee is a fee for a transaction. Why charger 4 times if it's just one transaction? That is my point.

pwalhx
15th Feb 2012, 16:47
The obsession with the fee amazes me, it is totally irrelevant, what matters is the final price, if Easy is cheaper use them if not use another airline simples.

Any chance we could get back to news about routes etc.

easyflyer83
15th Feb 2012, 17:40
pwalhx whilst I agree with you, and the debate has run on quite a while, it is as relevant to the subject of Easyjet as routes and aircraft are. Even you felt the need to wade in with your opinion which says alot.

I too prefer route talk etc but you can't really force the convo......especially in the absence of route news.

pwalhx
15th Feb 2012, 18:09
easyflyer I agree but my point really is hasn't this particular debate run it's course, it is in a rut and opinions polarised, time to move on.

La Amistad
18th Feb 2012, 16:08
Brilliant. An otherwise rather quiet thread injected with some life by some old fella off on a rant about discrimination against singles (the last minority group not yet brutally oppressed)!! Ahahahah quality! Some well made points eclipsed by the old man, stick shaking rant!

Ahhh well it gave me something to giggle about anyway!!! Me thinks someone needs to chill out and take up bridge instead??

Back on course.....heard from someone that would know, that the CEO has been taking a few trips down to the headquarters of Flybe recently for meetings??? Anyone know anything about this???

UN614
19th Feb 2012, 14:10
This rumour has been bouncing around for some time. Not that far fetched, stranger things have happened.

Espada III
20th Feb 2012, 16:25
Flew EZY from LPL to GVA week last Sunday on an afternoon flight. Airport empty, queue was reasonably short and the staff at check-in and bag drop were hardly overworked - so why the grumpy attitude? Really snotty women who did not give a good impression of their company. No-one said anything to upset them, no-one did the wrong thing by arguing or queue jumping. Everyone was waiting calmly and when we get to the counter we were all faced with aggressive attitude.

Flying home, much nicer, more helpful despite the end of a busy day with a fairly busy airport.

Hmm - must be the Mersey water!

fa2fi
21st Feb 2012, 18:49
Anyone heard any more about allocated seating? It's gone very quiet. With a pod portion of the summer programme sold already, is it not a bit late in the day?

paully
22nd Feb 2012, 10:44
Probably decided its too hard pile :{

Captain_Caveman
22nd Feb 2012, 12:06
As far as im aware, Allocated seating will be started on a dozen or so routes in about 5-6 weeks time... If proven as a success then it should be progressively rolled out from winter season.

Anansis
3rd Mar 2012, 18:45
I have a quick question I was hopeing somebody here might be able to answer.

When flying easyJet I've taken to booking as many flights as possible at the same time in order to save a bit of money on booking fees etc (I never owned a Visa Electron so the new admin fee changes nothing as far as I'm concerned). On some flights I require checked baggage. On others I don't. Sometimes I'm not sure whether I need to check a bag in until a day or two before departure.

The problem I have is that the easyJet booking system does not let me select which specific flights to add checked bags to. I either have to add bags to all flights or to none of them. If I book flights with no checked baggage and try to add this option later, the system forces me to add bags to all of my flights, not just the ones which require it.

Have I missed something? Is there any way to add checked baggage to single flights without adding them to all flights in the booking I've made? I'm often abroad when I need to make this decision so calling a reservations number isn't really an option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :ok:

DCS99
5th Mar 2012, 10:10
Any Easyjet experts confirm that Easy have cancelled Manchester-Zurich from start of Summer Season?

sam1993
5th Mar 2012, 10:51
You don't have to be an Easyjet expert to know! A quick search on their online timetable shows that the last Manchester - Zurich flight is on the 29th March :ok:

DCS99
5th Mar 2012, 18:44
Exactly! I (obviously) never realised it was just a Winter Ski Route.

Zippy Monster
5th Mar 2012, 18:48
It wasn't, it has been year-round for a couple of years.

What with this and the Swiss MAN-BSL being dropped, there's going to be some unhappiness among the (quite large) northern British expat community in Switzerland!

horatio_b
6th Mar 2012, 20:18
Feb 2012 pax figures:

REG - easyJet PLC - easyJet Passenger Statistics for February 2012 | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/06/idUS64346+06-Mar-2012+RNS20120306)

load factors holding up well: 87%+ compared to 76% for Ryanair

peppo_8787
10th Mar 2012, 10:41
Great expansion in Italy?
After a long silence, easyJet is to launch a new offensive on the Italian market. On the eve of the start of the summer, the low cost carrier will present the new plans on the Peninsula and in a press conference next week in Milan, which will be present, as well as country director Frances Ouseley Italy, the chief executive Carolyn McCall (pictured). Loose lips, for now, home of the company on the contents of news that will be presented, but the expectation is high, considering the presence of the CEO to the event. Meanwhile, easyJet continues the march, that even in the month of February has seen rising numbers with regard to passenger traffic. During the carrier has touched the threshold of 4 million pax, an increase of 3.7%, the load factor also increased, rising to 87, 6​​%. Over the 12 months between March 2011 and February 2012, however, the rate of growth is 9.5% of the pax, for a total of 55.6 million, about 5 in the previous year.

DomyDom
11th Mar 2012, 12:23
easyflyer83,
Please can you give us any hints as to any new routes being considered from MAN for announcement later this year. Thanks in anticipation, DomyDom

Ressie
19th Mar 2012, 15:35
easyflyer83 - any chance you were crewing said ZRH-MAN route on Friday and we had a chat about this very same subject? ;)

As a frequent "commuter" on this route (although not a weekly one as many of the others I've had the pleasure of travelling with), I can confirm that there is definitely some discontent about easyJet scrapping the route. Swiss were obviously very quick to jump on it though and promptly upped their prices by ca. CHF 50 over night "to make up for it"...:mad:

Here's to hoping the route does return for the winter and stays a permanent fixture thereafter. The flight has always been jam-packed whenever I've been on it (although granted those were typical commuter weekend flights).

easyflyer83
20th Mar 2012, 11:07
Hi Ressie........yep that was me. ;-)

LGS6753
26th Mar 2012, 19:41
Improved H1 financial performance announced today:
Latest news - easyJet plc (http://corporate.easyjet.com/media/latest-news/news-year-2012/26-03-12-en.aspx)

Also reported in the Telegraph that they are to trial allocated seating on 5 routes (which ones?)

crewmeal
27th Mar 2012, 05:37
As if we weren't being ripped off enough about hidden charges they come up with something else:

EasyJet to charge £12 for a bit more leg room in latest stealth charge to push up the cost of flying | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120819/EasyJet-charge-12-bit-leg-room-latest-stealth-charge-push-cost-flying.html)

Skipness One Echo
27th Mar 2012, 05:42
Important! You need to add ID information to your booking
For security you need to provide details of the passport, or other suitable identification documents, you will be travelling with. This is needed by law for you and any accompanying passengers.
If you don't do this then you will not be allowed on the plane.
Suitable ID Documents

Last time I flew BA, it wasn't required on UK-Netherlands, is this new?

160to4DME
27th Mar 2012, 07:18
Hearing rumblings that LPL is to go down to 7 frames definitely, possibly 6, for winter 12/13.

Is this just a general drawdown, or is LPL's loss a gain for t'other field down the road?

La Amistad
27th Mar 2012, 07:28
During a brief recently it was said that EZY are to maintain the fleet size for 2 years while growing Gatwick and France. Those aircraft have to come from somewhere and it looks like the UK! So I guess LPL's loss will be someone else's gain! Other UK bases may find the same thing happening soon?

Although things might change, apparently it was also stated that EZY are looking at buying 2 LCC's so it all might be a rather different plan soon!?!?

The Flying Cokeman
27th Mar 2012, 08:09
Latest news regarding allocated seating:
"Allocated seating trial update
Last year we announced that we would be trialling allocated seating and we can now give you an update.
Our decision to trial allocated seating on selected routes was made because our customers said it is an important issue for them. Passengers have said they would like to know that they will be seated with their family. Others simply want to sit close to the door so that they can get off quickly when they arrive.
The trial
From mid-April, passengers making new bookings on allocated seating routes will be able to select a seat for an affordable fee.* If passengers decide not to select a seat we will automatically allocate one for them. All seats on these flights will be allocated and families and groups will be seated together wherever possible.
Flights will start later in April, initially on the following routes:*
·******** LTN-AGP-LTN and LTN-SSH-LTN
·******** LTN–SAW–LTN, LTN–ALC–LTN and GLA–ALC-GLA
It’s planned for the number of routes to increase during May. Passengers who already have flights booked on these routes are being contacted by email today to let them know they are on an allocated seating flight.*
Training and briefings have already started for Cabin Crew who will be most closely involved in the trial.
Throughout the trial there will be a big focus on gathering feedback from both our passengers and you and we look forward to hearing from you. You can give your feedback by emailing [email protected]."

Airbourne-Adamski
27th Mar 2012, 08:38
Although things might change, apparently it was also stated that EZY are looking at buying 2 LCC's so it all might be a rather different plan soon!?!?

Where was this stated, I have been looking round and can't find anything.

EZYPZY
27th Mar 2012, 12:13
This is indeed true, the number of based aircraft at LPL will be reduced to seven for the winter season. Furthermore, due to ongoing discussions with the airport, it is unlikely that the two aircraft will return for the summer 2013 season...

Barling Magna
27th Mar 2012, 13:53
Carolyn McCall interview on Bloomberg (Washington Post) re. Southend, fuel prices, the future of London's airports, increased competition etc...

EasyJet CEO Sees Fuel Bill Up 220 Million Pounds - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/easyjet-ceo-sees-fuel-bill-up-220-million-pounds/2012/03/26/gIQAO03TbS_video.html)

edi_local
27th Mar 2012, 16:37
As if we weren't being ripped off enough about hidden charges they come up with something else:

EasyJet to charge £12 for a bit more leg room in latest stealth charge to push up the cost of flying | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120819/EasyJet-charge-12-bit-leg-room-latest-stealth-charge-push-cost-flying.html)

Hardly a hidden cost. If you don't want extra leg room then don't buy it. The Mails claim of a stealth charge is laughable, do they even know the meaning of the word? Nice to see the usual "rent-an-outrage" commenters who've probably never even set foot on an aircraft leaving the usual drivel as well.

EZY are quite slow to act on this, really, seeing as how BA, UA, LS, BE, FR and countless other airlines the world over all charge extra for the exit or bulkhead seats, low cost or not, it's a simple, easy money maker guaranteed to bring in extra revenue on any given flight. £12 is pretty generous, really.

Quit what took them so long, I don't know.

kriskross
27th Mar 2012, 17:06
Don't Jet2 already use a very similar system?

edi_local
27th Mar 2012, 20:11
Don't Jet2 already use a very similar system?

Yes, LS charge a varying fee for certain seats on board, you can also buy them at the airport too for, I think, the same price as online. Different rates for different routes as far as I am aware.

jdcg
27th Mar 2012, 21:13
CX charge a load more for extra legroom seats in economy... Seems to be fairly standard practice now

MKY661
27th Mar 2012, 22:44
·******** LTN-AGP-LTN and LTN-SSH-LTN
·******** LTN–SAW–LTN, LTN–ALC–LTN and GLA–ALC-GLA

Was expecting allocated seating to be put on LGW-AGP-LGW. Think that route is one of the most popular EZY routes, if not the popular.

easyflyer83
27th Mar 2012, 23:39
RE: Allocated seating the routes were decided primarily because they want to test the system across varying boarding arrangements, handling agents and airport systems aswell as over a mixture of leisure/City and short/long distance flights.

RE: Takeovers. Carolyn McCall right up until the other day has always insisted that they anticipate organic growth. They apparently 'half heartedly' looked at bmi but LHR was never going to be an option. There is however a couple of rumours around the company. That said the board would never really admit anything such as that but by the same token rumours are always rife in this industry as we always know.

racedo
28th Mar 2012, 11:20
RE: Takeovers. Carolyn McCall right up until the other day has always insisted that they anticipate organic growth. They apparently 'half heartedly' looked at bmi but LHR was never going to be an option. There is however a couple of rumours around the company. That said the board would never really admit anything such as that but by the same token rumours are always rife in this industry as we always know.

Showing naievety and inexperience here.....

Never comment on takeovers until they happening and you 100% sure can get full board / shareholder approval which is unlikely given Stelios.

Ms McCall is commenting because she feels she has to rather than deflecting and saying nothing at all.

paully
28th Mar 2012, 16:34
Flew out of LPL yesterday on the silly O clock flight to GIB, and every seat was taken :ok:. Due to this they took a different approach to cabin baggage. we went to the gate early and were asked if we wouldnt mind putting the largest of our bags in the hold to help with space in the cabin. In return the volunteers were boarded immediately after the speedy boarders leaving our bags at the bottom of the steps. Have to say worked well and freed up on board storage space.

The cost..err nothing actually and a nice thanks from the gate staff for our co operation. As a result we got exit seats for nothing. Now can you imagine O`Leary???????.......No neither can I......Big thanks to all the crew you looked after us well

MKY661
28th Mar 2012, 21:58
Yes definately a different way than normal. And I hope you enjoyed the new terminal at GIB as well :)

EZYPZY
29th Mar 2012, 07:16
EZY have been using this method for quite a while now, as have several other airlines. However, it isn't universally popular with all pax. On some flights it can be difficult to get the required number of bags, even with the offer of pre-boarding.

Expressflight
29th Mar 2012, 07:47
I was "offered" this at LTN 10 days ago but declined. Pre-boarding vs baggage reclaim at CDG was not a very attractive offer.
Incidentally, French pax were approached as well and they didn't understand what was being asked of them so they declined as well. No French speaker seemed to be available at that particular gate.

IB4138
29th Mar 2012, 08:49
I have found this to be the norm on all easy flights this year, followed certainly at Gatwick, by extra scrutiny for oversized cabin bags, with appropriate charge for offending items.

Zippy Monster
29th Mar 2012, 18:26
In my experience, it's a policy that so far seems to be working quite well. I am seeing far fewer delays due to offload of bags from the cabin to the hold. You're not obliged to volunteer your bag - indeed I don't when I'm travelling as a passenger - but people do, and it works.

wowzz
29th Mar 2012, 20:52
This policy would be fine if you could pick up your bags as you dis-embarked the aircraft. When I have only carry-on luggage, the last thing I want to do is wait at baggage re-claim for my small hold-all when other pax have forced their supposed carry-on luggage weighing 18kg into an over-head locker!
Personally I believe that Easy have too lenient a policy regarding cabin baggage. They should more strictly enforce baggage size restrictions [not weight], thus reducing the need to ask pax to 'donate' luggage to the hold.
Whilst on my rant, why cannot pax realise that putting luggage into a locker 'length-wise' [ie wheels parallel to the fuselage] is just plain WRONG! Sorry - just going to lie down, wheels facing fore and aft!

Buster the Bear
29th Mar 2012, 21:08
Why would you volunteer to put your approved cabin luggage in the hold, just to get on the plane sooner? Your wait 'at the other end' will be significantly longer!

Basically easyJet cannot cope with 155 passengers bringing their allowed cabin bags on board?

I assume that the bags going into the hold DO NOT contain electrical items banned from the hold?

pamann
29th Mar 2012, 21:46
Electrical items aren't banned from the hold - items such as lithium batteries and cigarette lighters are however. That is down to the check in staff to ask. From my recent experience however they failed to ask.

Expressflight
30th Mar 2012, 06:33
The Winter schedule seems to show SEN as retaining its three based A319s, while still leaving a few gaps for additional routes.

FR-
30th Mar 2012, 07:36
How is the Luton base looking for the winter 2012/2013?

Bmi-fan
30th Mar 2012, 09:21
Did this last night on the way back to BFS from LTN. I have to say it is a good idea - got a over-wing window seat in exchange for a 5 minute wait in BFS on the case. I did it mainly to get away from a group of 50 excitable schoolkids who were in the queue behind me!

I have had this before with hand luggage on CRJ's where they can't fit the bigger roller bags into the overhead bins. With Lufthansa they tag it and you leave it at the bottom of the A/C steps and collect it there at the other end.

OldBristolFreighter
30th Mar 2012, 19:22
What percentage of passengers already have a bag in the hold? No loss for them going pick the bags at the other end, just one more to collect off the carousel.

DomyDom
31st Mar 2012, 09:52
easyflyer83,

Do you happen to have any idea when new EZY routes are to be announced for winter 2012 and is which ones are likely candidates? Assuming MAN gets another aircraft that is.

Thanks,

DomyDom

DomyDom
31st Mar 2012, 23:04
Thanks easyflyer83. I take your point about limited forewarning of new routes. Hopefully we will get aircraft number 7 but who knows in this business. It really does seem to chop and change depending on all sorts of factors. As far as MAN is concerned this really reinforces that they have the right strategy of not putting too many eggs in one basket. Cheers, DomyDom

kala87
2nd Apr 2012, 15:10
FR-

Re- LTN base winter 2012/13, the only recent info. I have heard is Luton-Tel Aviv increasing from daily to 9 pw.

This service seems to be very successful for EZJ despite El Al being well-entrenched on the route.

At present EZJ seem to have around 15-16 airframes overnighting with another 4 arriving early morning and turning around.

Sorry I can't offer more help!

FR-
2nd Apr 2012, 16:41
Thanks for the info

La Amistad
2nd Apr 2012, 19:51
Airborne,

Sorry, it wasn't a publicly released brief, it was internal so you wouldn't be able to find anything. The crux of it was that growth would mainly be at Gatwick and in France. That Russia was a place of interest and that two LCC were being considered for acquisition.

The person saying this all is in a position to know!

Airbourne-Adamski
3rd Apr 2012, 08:40
La Amistad,

Thanks for the info.
Must of missed that internal comms unless it only went to certain depts.
But thanks again for the update.

La Amistad
3rd Apr 2012, 12:21
Wasn't an email. It was told to a mate during a SEP type brief.

La Amistad
3rd Apr 2012, 16:26
Sorry spice I miss your point? I don't want to say exactly who said it. To whom. Where and when....mainly because I don't want to make it obvious who I might be!

If you don't believe me, then thats fine. I don't care. Different managers turn up to different places and say different things!

Just because you weren't told doesn't mean someone didn't say it.

shamrock7seal
4th Apr 2012, 06:30
The C-series is projecting 15% cash operating economics on 20% better fuel burnsto current a/c. Somewhere hidden in the small print is the issue that the purchase price or the trip costs are higher than the A320neo or 737max... i'm not sure which one.

The best aircraft of all for LCC ops (on 2-4 hour sectors) is the 737-800max when you look at cost per seat, cost per trip and cost per a/c acquisition. The term 'pile them high sell them cheap' is there for a reason! But I can't see easyJet going back to boeing after having ditched them only a while ago.

kriskross
4th Apr 2012, 10:22
Depends who offers the best financial deal!!

easyflyer83
4th Apr 2012, 11:09
Easyjet ditched Boeing years ago......just because it was only last year that the last 737 was withdrawn.

I agree though, it is Airbus' order to lose.

La Amistad
4th Apr 2012, 11:29
Ignoring the people who just want to say "I don't believe you in different ways" and if anyone cares:

Where does everyone think the Russia routes would go from/to. LGW-Moscow seems fairly obvious.
Which airlines might provide a nice fit to EZY? Flybe seems to keep getting mentioned?

P.S easy and others before you get your knickers in a twist I am not saying we are buying airlines....merely that APPARENTLY someone is looking at it!!! This isn't a case of Chinese rumours, its stuff that came from someone who would know. I mentioned it in the hopes of stimulating interesting discussion about the information, not about the valididty of it.

If we wait and see whats the point in having a rumour network and discussion board??? Makes it a bit boring without rumours really!!!!!!!

As an aside days before we bought GB Airways Andy Harrison stood and told a room full of people that we would never buy another airline. Days later.....!!

P.P.S I don't want to fly the boeing again and can't be bothered with another type rating so my vote is for the NEO! Can the C series carry the same pax as a 320 though?

one post only!
4th Apr 2012, 12:55
I think Russia has been on the cards for a while. Moscow from LGW and maybe MAN from the UK and Paris, Milan and Geneva from Europe?

Its interesting because galley FM has been banding Flybe's name around regarding some kind of deal/takeover!!!

Just to add fuel to it all, the rumour is to get everything into one terminal in LGW and share it with Virgin. Don't virgin keep talking about doing Europe and domestic routes?? Not a LCC though but still an interesting thought! I would be amazed if that happened though!

Baby has also been mentioned also but I would be very very surprised if we bought them.

Monarch maybe?

Maybe a eastern European LCC? Someone already with the Airbus??

Interesting times though!!

Oh and can I please add my vote to the NEO order!! Although the C series flight deck looks quite cool!

easyflyer83
4th Apr 2012, 13:51
La Amistad.....please don't take offence. I too have a gut feeling that something is brewing. I don't necassarilly believe it's a takeover but remember that one of the conentious issues with Stelios was that of brand relationships. Since the issue was resolved we have seen a slight trend towards this such as the Nectar card deal. In a recent interview Carolyn didn't rule out codeshares, interline and alliances and I think that maybe something along those lines might be in the pipeline. Perhaps with Flybe. Who knows.

Mr A Tis
4th Apr 2012, 16:03
The biggest & possibly the most "interesting" development would be to introduce interlining.
It can be done as per Germanwings, Air Berlin & the biggest of them all Southwest.
If EZY wanna be different to the crowd - it's the way to go.
As for buying Baby or anyone else... I just don't see the benefits.

davidjohnson6
4th Apr 2012, 18:33
I'm very much aware that this is all highly speculative armchair CEO stuff but I could see a benefit to merging Easyjet and Wizz given their common fleets and their networks having very little overlap - one has bases in eastern Europe while the other has bases almost entirely in western Europe (apologies to those who prefer the term 'central Europe').
Furthermore because Wizz is currently less than a quarter of the size of Easyjet, it's a relatively manageable mouthful to digest and unlikely to cause severe indigestion.

As to whether bilateral rights for non EU routes would permit this or whether competition regulators would OK this or even whether Easyjet could amass 50.1% of the shares (do Indigo still have a big holding ?) I have no idea. Finally there is the question as to what Stelios would think of a significant acquisition - particularly of an airline with a large orderbook

easyflyer83
4th Apr 2012, 19:44
I'm not totally familiar with Wizz but aren't they a myriad of franchises under the Wizz name?

Either way, Eastern Europe isn't really a big focus for Easyjet. You forget that they have had the strength to open up bases and gain a dominant position in the Eastern European markets but they haven't apart from a few routes inbound to a few places like PRG.

take-off
4th Apr 2012, 19:53
How about easy joining up with virgin either codeshare/merging or buying a share of virgin, instant brand recognition, should they have problems with stelios again, although could be jumping out of the pot and into the fire with the beardy one:E

JSCL
4th Apr 2012, 20:02
Wouldn't be the first easyVirgin I'd have come accross if it happened ;)

easyflyer83
4th Apr 2012, 20:06
I believe Flybe. might be a better fit at the moment. They have gone for a hub approach at MAN recently and EZY owns LGW with the opportunities that has for BE. All bluesky thinking of course.