PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

Chronic Snoozer 21st Aug 2021 02:46


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 11098722)
Gladys keeps speaking in riddles it gives me a headache. Switched over to Dan at least itís bloody clear and straight to the damn point.

I gave up listening to the pressers about 1023 iterations ago. Thereís only so many ways to say the same thing, and journos seem to be just looking for words to hang the politicians on. Itís very Ďdepressingí.

Turnleft080 21st Aug 2021 02:49


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 11098722)
Gladys keeps speaking in riddles it gives me a headache. Switched over to Dan at least itís bloody clear and straight to the damn point.

"Can I just say, look, can I just say for one more time, that we are following the health advice, please! please! please! stay home, the health advice says this is beatable. Can I just say please! please! please! we are all in this together."

Turnleft080 21st Aug 2021 02:52


Originally Posted by rattman (Post 11098728)
And its being held in a smaller room so they fit in less reporters and there for less questions and assuming only the tame ones get invited

The ABC ones. Always Bloody Correct.

Foxxster 21st Aug 2021 03:46

Protests in Sydney and a larger one in Melbourne. Wonderful….

volare_737 21st Aug 2021 03:51


Originally Posted by Green.Dot (Post 11098677)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...ated/100394760

WTF is wrong with our media? This should be a positive story. Yes, case numbers in Israel have spiked significantly but guess what? Deaths are right down compared to ďa non-vaccinated Israeli populationĒ Itís buried deep within the story.

Australia has fck all hope with ABC spreading fear and continuing to focus on case numbers. I too wish we could eliminate COVID, we thought we could, Iím glad we gave it a go, but itís not going to happen. Accept it Australia.

The media is part of all the fear mongering and unfortunately 95 percent of Australians just follow what comes out of the square tube and refuse to think for themselves !!!

43Inches 21st Aug 2021 04:05


The media is part of all the fear mongering and unfortunately 95 percent of Australians just follow what comes out of the square tube and refuse to think for themselves !!!
Thankfully that is complete crap and MOST Aussies WILL be vaccinated in the coming months. Add to that MOST Aussies followed the rules and kept the death toll to a minimum while we reached that target. Those that didn't did not change anything, except possibly increase the death toll slightly and lengthen the lockdowns, thanks to those selfish individuals we went from a relatively open vaccination period to martial law. The media is completely to blame for vaccine hesitancy and SloMo for putting all eggs into one vaccine at the start causing a slower rollout. As for anti vaxxers, they are what they are, always there for ANY vaccine and not able to be delt with as they are not rational. Protesters are led mostly by a small group of Anti-vaxxers combined with anarchists playing games with the populace. I mean seriously you get Nazis protesting occasionally, I'm not particularly worried about them coming back to power, so a few hundred even thousands out of 5 million in each state protesting lockdowns ain't really news. Community sentiment is definitely way against them even to the point of thinking they are just mindless idiots. This is not BLM with 10s of thousands protesting that actually makes them look like a reasonable segment of the community.

Transition Layer 21st Aug 2021 04:07


Originally Posted by Chronic Snoozer (Post 11098729)
I gave up listening to the pressers about 1023 iterations ago. Thereís only so many ways to say the same thing, and journos seem to be just looking for words to hang the politicians on. Itís very Ďdepressingí.

Why do they even need a daily press conference? Just inflating their own self importance, especially people like CHOs who no one even knew existed before this mess.
Simply publish a press release with the numbers, reinforce the current restrictions, and only appear when itís absolutely necessary. The non-conforming public arenít listening to the politicians anyway!

Torukmacto 21st Aug 2021 04:12


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11098745)
Thankfully that is complete crap and MOST Aussies WILL be vaccinated in the coming months. Add to that MOST Aussies followed the rules and kept the death toll to a minimum while we reached that target. Those that didn't did not change anything, except possibly increase the death toll slightly and lengthen the lockdowns, thanks to those selfish individuals we went from a relatively open vaccination period to martial law. The media is completely to blame for vaccine hesitancy and SloMo for putting all eggs into one vaccine at the start causing a slower rollout. As for anti vaxxers, they are what they are, always there for ANY vaccine and not able to be delt with as they are not rational. Protesters are led mostly by a small group of Anti-vaxxers combined with anarchists playing games with the populace. I mean seriously you get Nazis protesting occasionally, I'm not particularly worried about them coming back to power, so a few hundred even thousands out of 5 million in each state protesting lockdowns ain't really news. Community sentiment is definitely way against them even to the point of thinking they are just mindless idiots. This is not BLM with 10s of thousands protesting that actually makes them look like a reasonable segment of the community.

plus 1 ! Well said

43Inches 21st Aug 2021 04:15


Why do they even need a daily press conference?
I can attest that standing up and facing your people/customers when something goes wrong is far more effective than a press release. They can look you in the eye, and feel more relaxed about what you saying is true, and from your own mouth, whatever. Daily briefings I would say is expected by the older of the community, as a mark of respect that they are paying attention and acknowledging what is going on.

Xeptu 21st Aug 2021 04:18


Originally Posted by Chronic Snoozer (Post 11098719)
Give it a rest would you. They canít deal with the outbreak by looking in the rear view mirror. If people arenít compliant, thatís not the governmentís fault, is it? This constant sniping and heckling of the government(s) is just wasting bandwidth.

We really don't mind, really it gives extra thrust to our "we told you so" statement.
17% of the population don't give a shit, they are in every state, NSW and VIC have the biggest population so therefore have the most of them. Reining them in now because you didn't apply your lockdowns to everyone will be almost impossible.
Set them all free, take the fuel away permit vehicles only, enforce the borders, that's all you can do now.

Green.Dot 21st Aug 2021 04:35

Expect more of this to comeÖ

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...urne/100396458

People really starting to lose the plot

SOPS 21st Aug 2021 04:58


Originally Posted by Green.Dot (Post 11098754)
Expect more of this to comeÖ

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...urne/100396458

People really starting to lose the plot


Carrying signs saying Ď vaccine killsí and calling people waiting for a Covid test .. sheep.

Lockdown is not causing them to lose the plot.. they have not been right in the head for a long time.. probably since their mother dropped them at birth.

Green.Dot 21st Aug 2021 05:08

How many days you been in lockdown since this all began SOPS?

I donít support their behaviour but I donít think you are one to judge if they are/are not losing the plot.

43Inches 21st Aug 2021 06:17


I don’t support their behaviour but I don’t think you are one to judge if they are/are not losing the plot.
I've come across a few of the organisers of this stuff by association with friends. The leadership group spread completely fabricated material about the government wanting to murder its population and using vaccines to control us, etc etc wild conspiracy stuff. Lots of anecdotal evidence of "I knew xx who died of xx and they had xx vaccine". Then the old mental health thing that the government is not telling the truth about suicides and business failures. It's basically cult mentality where they all just listen to one guy overall and spread their message. With of course a few tag-a-longs with their families to fill out numbers. Thing to look out for, if all your information is being fed by one individual or small group leading you all, you might just be in a cult.

There are of course a few lost individuals in the group that feel genuinely about this.

The feel in my community (in Melbourne) is that they would have all these protesters jailed if they could.

I spent a lot of time undoing the rot with family and friends that have fallen for their stuff, thankfully they are coming round to vaccinate soon.

industry insider 21st Aug 2021 06:30

Foxxster wrote:


832 for NSW today. 825 local plus 7 from overseas.
But with the incubation period, these are figures from 7-10 days ago. Cases seem to double every couple of weeks so unless the circuit breakers work, which they show little sign of doing, reported cases in NSW could be over 1200 per day by the end of the month. Real cases are probably 1200+ now but we just don't know yet.

PoppaJo 21st Aug 2021 06:46


Originally Posted by industry insider (Post 11098769)
Foxxster wrote:

But with the incubation period, these are figures from 7-10 days ago. Cases seem to double every couple of weeks so unless the circuit breakers work, which they show little sign of doing, reported cases in NSW could be over 1200 per day by the end of the month. Real cases are probably 1200+ now but we just don't know yet.

Cases have been doubling weekly now not weeks.

In fact cases are now doubling every 6 days. Reducing as each day passes, so we are now in surge mode.

Not sure how she will spin her words as she does when we start cracking the 0000s. You canít have 2/3000 cases a day and keep spinning the same bullshit as she does for the next 2 months. Those are resignation numbers.

Andrews gave weddings across regional Vic today 120 mins notice to wrap it up. Gladys gave them half a week.

lineupandwait 21st Aug 2021 06:55


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 11098771)
Cases have been doubling weekly now not weeks.

In fact cases are now doubling every 6 days. Reducing as each day passes, so we are now in surge mode.

Not sure how she will spin her words as she does when we start cracking the 0000s. You canít have 2/3000 cases a day and keep spinning the same bullshit as she does for the next 2 months. Those are resignation numbers.

Andrews had Weddings today 120 mins to wrap it up. Gladys have them half a week.

1000's a day is called living with it. If you're uncomfortable with it and not vaccinated go get AZ.

Time to move on and stop reporting case numbers.


PoppaJo 21st Aug 2021 07:03


Originally Posted by lineupandwait (Post 11098774)
1000's a day is called living with it. If you're uncomfortable with it and not vaccinated go get AZ.

Time to move on and stop reporting case numbers.

Why are people uncomfortable with it? The shitshow of many departments that reside in Canberra is purely to blame.

I get the point. The day will soon arrive. We need to know about case numbers in the short term, as we are largely still unvaccinated, and so Sydney can start planning how overrun the health department is about to be in the next 3 months.

People donít want AZ and there is nothing we can do about thatís, just accept it, and now we start to deal with the fallout from waiting for PZ. Iíve had AZ and so has all my kids who are under 40.

KRviator 21st Aug 2021 07:11


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 11098771)
Not sure how she will spin her words as she does when we start cracking the 0000s. You canít have 2/3000 cases a day and keep spinning the same bullshit as she does for the next 2 months. Those are resignation numbers.

I sound like a Gladys apologist, but what will her pulling the pin achieve? Yes she should have locked Sydney down sooner - no argument there, but they had no reason to believe their previous successes with the Alpha variant wouldn't be replicated against Delta. We now know that to be false, but you live and learn....

The UK daily figures (with 87.4 / 76.0% vaccinated) are for 37,314 cases & 114 deaths today (Source). The UK population is 68.2M. Australia's population is 25.8M (37.8%) & NSW's is 8.2 (12%). Apply those percentages to the UK numbers, and you'll be in for a surprise - 14,000 daily cases Australia-wide, and 4,400 in NSW alone! And remember - those numbers are in a population that is within 4% of our ultimate vaccination target.

Iceland a country of just 368,000 people, has achieved 71% of the total population fully vaccinated, and 84% of those 12+ are fully vaccinated (Source). And their current caseload? 61 new cases today, against a 14-day average 369/100K (Source). Extrapolate those numbers to our population and you get 4,200 new cases today - and a 14-day average of 95,000 cases (or 6,800 a day). And they're at 84% fully vaccinated for everyone over 12!

But don't worry if you live in Western Australia - Mark McGowan can stop it! He's said so!

sumtingwong 21st Aug 2021 07:24


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11098768)
It's basically cult mentality where they all just listen to one guy overall and spread their message. With of course a few tag-a-longs with their families to fill out numbers. Thing to look out for, if all your information is being fed by one individual or small group leading you all, you might just be in a cult.


You mean such as Dan disciples, McClown cart followers, unelected Ďexpertsí, bureaucrats and large sections of the media?

Xeptu 21st Aug 2021 07:32


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 11098776)
People donít want AZ and there is nothing we can do about thatís, just accept it, and now we start to deal with the fallout from waiting for PZ. Iíve had AZ and so has all my kids who are under 40.

I've done both shots of AZ, I would have chosen AZ anyway, all our health professionals recommend AZ purely because the method for producing it has been around for decades, yes there are risks there always has been with every vaccine. PZ has risks too, this swelling issue around the heart muscle can't be good. It hasn't gone unnoticed that has been played down to the point we don't even hear about it anymore, probably because of the fear it will go the same way as AZ with respect to hesitancy.

43Inches 21st Aug 2021 08:19


You mean such as Dan disciples, McClown cart followers, unelected ‘experts’, bureaucrats and large sections of the media?
Again if you get all your information from one source you are now at the mercy of their bias and direction.

One tool you are given to deal with mental health issues is to be rational about information, make sure it agrees and is consistent with reality. If your information is at odds with what is actually happening then you are suffering an episode, being fooled. Now that can be easy to deduce through grounding or might be hard depending if you are surrounded by influences feeding the delusion. Basically check information provided to you, refer to different sources and see if it makes sense relative to what is actually happening and ask for trusted opinions from people relevant to the situation. If it's just isolated information highlighting some conspiracy then it's most likely bogus/fake, especially if fed through anonymous sources. Also look for highly edited or out of context interviews or snippets of data, without seeing the actual study it refers to, half truths are the easiest to make convincing.


Turnleft080 21st Aug 2021 08:39

The reason people are angry or infuriated is the method. It's Dan's way or the highway. No one else has a say. Their is no middle ground. Every decision is done behind closed doors. I bet their are hundreds of GPs and Profs out their also wanting know the public health advice. Sutton and Chant are just broadcasters reading a script. Good work if you can get it at $12,000 a week.

machtuk 21st Aug 2021 10:46

I wonder how all the Dan lovers/followers are feeling these days? Still feeling the love are we?
The grubby lunatic is out of control yet they still believe the daily BS & would follow the grub right off a cliff!
the lunatic wants many days in a row of zero cases before he opens the cell doors, good luck with that its gunna be a lonely Xmas for many!

43Inches 21st Aug 2021 11:05

They've lost it now, too much non compliance in Sydney and Melbourne for lockdown to work. It's heading towards the great "let it rip" regardless of what the public/pollies want.

Xeptu 21st Aug 2021 11:41


Originally Posted by 43Inches (Post 11098894)
They've lost it now, too much non compliance in Sydney and Melbourne for lockdown to work. It's heading towards the great "let it rip" regardless of what the public/pollies want.

Indeed it is, sad they didn't get enough vaccinated. now the remaining states have to get more draconian with our borders.

DirectAnywhere 21st Aug 2021 11:42

People are tired and fatigued of COVID compliance. The NSW lockdown is having a real impact, with an Reff of 1.2-1.3, down from R0 of >5. It's going to be harder to convince people of that as case numbers climb.

Non-compliance will become wider spread. Just got to hope the vaccinations start to have a real impact on hospitalisations and deaths, as much of the populace is about at the end of its tether when it comes to doing what they're told. It's going to be hard to find that point of inflection where you can push lockdowns as far as possible without losing all trust and faith with the public. It's a dangerous time.

hamfists 21st Aug 2021 12:05

We all get our information from somewhere..we all have to take what weíre given in faith since the information comes faster and in volumes that donít allow us to analyse. As anyone that like me, is a lifelong sceptic, questions everything ..by the time the onion is peeled and half the information that is sold as fact becomes discredited, itís last weeks fish n chip paper. The public has moved on and most believe opinion is fact.

when was the last time anyone issued a public retraction?

Turnleft080 21st Aug 2021 14:03


Originally Posted by Xeptu (Post 11098911)
Indeed it is, sad they didn't get enough vaccinated. now the remaining states have to get more draconian with our borders.

Actually the NSW/VIC border should be lifted. What difference does it make. Both states have now cross pollinated. Why not form their own covid bubble. Other states nick off. Your 3 months behind us and way too clean.

Xeptu 21st Aug 2021 15:40


Originally Posted by Turnleft080 (Post 11098979)
Actually the NSW/VIC border should be lifted. What difference does it make. Both states have now cross pollinated. Why not form their own covid bubble. Other states nick off. Your 3 months behind us and way too clean.

A fair call too and one those two states may consider if VIC loses control as well. Just don't think you'll be allowed to travel into any other state because you won't. SA is already looking at a transport hub near the border to turn the prime movers around (swap trailers)

hamfists 21st Aug 2021 21:53

True..after all Dan has proven before that he can take a small localised outbreak in a community and turn it into a citywide death plague by following world best practice (but long disabused by the WHO and the United Nations) extreme lockdowns

Gnadenburg 21st Aug 2021 22:47


Originally Posted by Xeptu (Post 11099005)
A fair call too and one those two states may consider if VIC loses control as well. Just don't think you'll be allowed to travel into any other state because you won't. SA is already looking at a transport hub near the border to turn the prime movers around (swap trailers)

Vaccines should be diverted to VIC & NSW for the time being outside of any program for the vulnerable or frontline staff in WA. That's if we are all in this together?

However, Australian state borders are porous. They are being breached daily. Comically so from what I've seen. The chance of wider outbreaks in the other States still likely. I just hope the morons in charge accept this and don't keep adding to the COVID bill.

Ladloy 21st Aug 2021 23:17

Jesus the skynews brigade comes out on a Sunday morning.

Gnadenburg 22nd Aug 2021 00:07

Not sure what your point is?

I don't want to be a Cassandra. However, for a look beyond Christmas, perhaps the whole of the financial year, it may be reasonable to take a look at Israel today. Now combine that snapshot with the individual policies of the Australian Premiers. It's a basket case scenario for aviation and the wider economy.

SHVC 22nd Aug 2021 01:21

No matter how you look at it, the whole country is fked! Vic going into a complete lockdown along with NSW has assured Australia falls rapidly and deep in to recession until next yr. this is much worse than this time last yr, although we have the vaccine which means nothing to the premiers covid zero is still sought after other than NSW.

Thursday will be an interesting day for a lot of us, see what the forecast is and if there will be further VR or even CR with in the group. I did read from an uncredited source, I didn’t look into it as I didn’t care really but BA have scheduled flights from March 2022, they’re optimistic with that.

VH-ABC 22nd Aug 2021 01:39

The QANTAS group SHVC?

DirectAnywhere 22nd Aug 2021 01:59

I'm going to put 10 bucks on NSW residents being able to travel overseas (excluding NZ) before they're allowed to travel to WA. Anyone want to take it?

We are in the nightmare scenario for domestic aviation. I'm struggling to see a way out of it. The only leverage Morrison has left is to cut support payments once we hit 80% national vax rates and hope the outcry and misery unleashed is sufficient to bend the will of the premiers. The man is a eunuch right now, confined to giving people money while the premiers make all the decisions.

Torukmacto 22nd Aug 2021 02:13

Not being from NSW Iím only seeing Gladysís recent work and I think she is leading the country the right way . Mistakes have been made but so has every other politician on the planet . She said we have to come to terms with it as itís here to stay , she tried to keep economic loss to a minimum before this outbreak forced her hand . Outbreaks in western suburbs , aboriginal communities and aged care facilities staffed by anti-vaxers are weak points that she has tried to respond to quickly . She is getting more vaccines in for the vulnerable and on the front foot with vaccinating young people , thatís been happening overseas for months . She was first to nominate a % that would allow her to open things up . Itís reported the nsw power brokers have numbers to topple her and she would lose an election ,yet she is staying the course that seems to my uneducated brain a way through this shit storm while all the other premiers look to winning next election in a landslide by pandering to peopleís fears by locking everyone up so they feel safe in their beds at night . The pendulum will swing and the money men in Canberra will gain the upper hand once vaccinations reach %70 and support to the states gets reduced .

Chris2303 22nd Aug 2021 02:13

71 total in NZ with 6 in WLG.

All linked to that woman who travelled from SYD.

If she'd kept the border closed................

compressor stall 22nd Aug 2021 02:16


Originally Posted by DirectAnywhere (Post 11099165)
I'm going to put 10 bucks on NSW residents being able to travel overseas (excluding NZ) before they're allowed to travel to WA. Anyone want to take it?
.

Agree except Iíll wager more on it!
Actually opening international borders would be a pretty strong tool in the Fedís playbook to get recalcitrant states in line.
Vic is now out of control and wonít be eliminated by lockdown. Not sure if itís in the news yet but sources tell me it has spread regionally beyond Shepparton.
By November VIC and NSW open for business and the rest of the country isolateÖ.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21.


Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.