PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

compressor stall 4th Feb 2021 02:28

What is becoming evident is that at times the UK strain is insanely infectious, but most of the other time it would appear not to be.

ie. Local and internationally, people have repeatedly picked it up in Q with no face to face contact, yet have not (to date) spread it widely themselves in society, despite being in a position of being able to do so..

AUNZ are probably in a unique position to monitor this as the outbreaks here as so isolated that the pathways of transmission are able to be determined.

neville_nobody 4th Feb 2021 02:45

Any chance of false positives?? I don't really understand the ins and outs of the covid testing, however it seems strange that someone can get a highly contagious strain remotely but not be able to spread it to their close contacts.

SOPS 4th Feb 2021 02:53

WA has just shut its borders to Victoria again. You can come but will require to Q for 14 days, was not clear if you will need permission to come to WA.

Chad Gates 4th Feb 2021 03:05

SOPS

Just for clarification, WA haven’t shut the border again, they are just not moving to the very low risk category that was scheduled to happen tonight. So all stays as is for now.

SOPS 4th Feb 2021 03:09


Originally Posted by Chad Gates (Post 10983022)
SOPS

Just for clarification, WA haven’t shut the border again, they are just not moving to the very low risk category that was scheduled to happen tonight. So all stays as is for now.

Thanks for that.. 👍👍

WingNut60 4th Feb 2021 03:20


Originally Posted by neville_nobody (Post 10982998)
Interestingly they locked up his housemates in quarantine (not in their own home) yet they hadn't tested positive but McGowan was absolutely sure that they will test positive in the near future. .........

Based on reports from the UK and elsewhere, that was a perfectly reasonable assumption.
What would not have been reasonable was to presume the opposite.

That they have not tested positive (so far) simply points to the behaviour of the virus being perverse.

Dannyboy39 4th Feb 2021 03:39


Originally Posted by neville_nobody (Post 10982998)
But you can't put a price on everyone’s safety.

Yes indeed. I will wear a stab proof vest and body armour when crossing the road tomorrow.

Icarus2001 4th Feb 2021 04:32


But you can't put a price on everyones safety.............
I am pretty sure you have your tongue in cheek there. Everything has a price, everything.

Todays latest numbers...

In total, 191 close contacts have now been linked to the security guard's case, and 156 have tested negative.Another 258 casual contacts have been identified and 200 of those have tested negative.
From here...https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-...h-day/13121834

McLimit 4th Feb 2021 05:06


Maths wasn't your strong subject at school was it?
And evidence wasn't yours obviously.


You can shut down now for one discovered case for perhaps 14 days, or,

You can ignore that one case for the next two weeks and then shut the whole State down for three to six months while we try to deal with the hundreds of cases that one case has spawned.
So everything you constantly mouth off about regarding risk doesn't apply here? Your blind fear is pathetic, it's embarrassing.

The clown in WA is making an absolute fool of himself, meanwhile, your hero in Melbourne appears to have taken a leaf out of Glady's book. If he locks down Melbourne again his hero status will disappear quick smart, apart from the fact that his blatant hypocrisy, choosing money over public health with the tennis, but he didn't months ago. Then again, with people like you panicking the way you are, I'd lock you up as well.

So many contradictions from your heroes, must be confusing for you?


Your choice.
Well clearly it's not our choice.

compressor stall 4th Feb 2021 05:14


Originally Posted by neville_nobody (Post 10983016)
Any chance of false positives?? I don't really understand the ins and outs of the covid testing, however it seems strange that someone can get a highly contagious strain remotely but not be able to spread it to their close contacts.

If they're getting a genome match I don't think that there could be a false positive (unless the two were side by side in the lab....)

blubak 4th Feb 2021 06:38


Originally Posted by Sunfish (Post 10982914)
Dannyboy:

Maths wasn't your strong subject at school was it?

You can shut down now for one discovered case for perhaps 14 days, or,

You can ignore that one case for the next two weeks and then shut the whole State down for three to six months while we try to deal with the hundreds of cases that one case has spawned.


Your choice.

Yes cant argue with that scenario,again no arguing the initial hotel quarantine stuff up here in vic but right now the govt are dammed if they do & dammed if they dont.
Heard a political points scoring statement from the vic opp leader stating Andrews took too long to make his announcement last night,maybe just maybe he still had facts/data coming in.
Theres always people who think they can do better(& maybe they can) but whether u like him or not i believe andrews is doing his utmost right now to stop any spread.
Hes not perfect by any means but for f sake,to those who think they can do better & put politics before fact,just look at what other countries are going through right now,its not a free world anywhere & relatively speaking the alternative is not great.

maxter 4th Feb 2021 08:18

Was Morrison 'trigger-happy' to shut down travel to NZ over just 1 case?

1A_Please 4th Feb 2021 09:29


Originally Posted by maxter (Post 10983135)
Was Morrison 'trigger-happy' to shut down travel to NZ over just 1 case?

He shut down travel from NZ; travel to NZ has never been quarantine-free at the choice of NZ Govt.

Andrews won't go to shutdown on this outbreak as shutting down will mean he has no choice but to admit the tennis was a mistake and he would have to cancel it.

Deaf 4th Feb 2021 10:05


Originally Posted by 1A_Please (Post 10983192)
He shut down travel from NZ; travel to NZ has never been quarantine-free at the choice of NZ Govt.

Andrews won't go to shutdown on this outbreak as shutting down will mean he has no choice but to admit the tennis was a mistake and he would have to cancel it.

Fiona Patten said no more blank cheque - 12hrs later outbreak

Ragnor 4th Feb 2021 19:35

I wish chairman DA would put as much effort into Australians getting back to work as he is for the AO international players.

Keg 4th Feb 2021 22:06


Originally Posted by dr dre (Post 10982931)
A factor which prompted a different health response between states was the NSW Northern Beaches outbreak was not of the new more transmissible mutation, whereas the WA and Qld ones were.

And yet the QLD one yielded only one or two additional cases- all close contacts already in isolation with the patient zero- despite the original HQ worker travelling on public transport for a few days whilst infectious.

So far the ‘highly transmissible’ case in Perth who travelled all over the city has yielded precisely zero additional cases. Sure it may be another few days before a case or two emerge but it appears that


With the new mutation obviously defeating previous quarantine protocols new measures will have to be looked at.
You’d like to think so because the current system of locking down cities for a week at a time for a single case isn’t going to cut the mustard going forward. Interesting to note too that from Friday Perth transitions to virtually their previous protocols. This means a crew arriving from NSW on Saturday is still required to isolate (for up to 14 days but probably only a week until the end of the 28 day cycle) because of the status that WA still has NSW in. This is despite the fact WA had a case roaming the community less than a fortnight ago. It’s complete BS.

Icarus2001 4th Feb 2021 22:09

Exactly Keg, there is no consistency or overall logic but our leaders have the cheek to say that they are following medical advice, as they all do something different.

KRviator 4th Feb 2021 22:43


Originally Posted by Icarus2001 (Post 10983739)
Exactly Keg, there is no consistency or overall logic but our leaders have the cheek to say that they are following medical advice, as they all do something different.

I'm reminded of a joke I read somewhere maaany years ago.

A bloke goes to a party with his Doctor wife and gets talking to the other quacks. He casually mentions he's got a pain in the chest occasionally.
The cardiac specialist says "It could be angina which can lead to a heart attack, you'd better come and see me next week!"
The Orthopaedic specialist says "It could be anything from a cracked rib to a spinal injury, you'd better come and see me next week as well!"
The Oncologist says "It could be cancer or a tumour, you'd better come and see me next week, too!"
His wife overhears the conversation and casually says "It's just heartburn, the silly bugger knows what causes it, but won't stop eating spicy food, no matter how much I tell him not too! A glass of Gaviscon and he's right as rain!

The problem with blindly following what a CHO describes as "Medical advice" is it is just that. Medical advice. It does not consider the broader socio-economic consequences of that advice! And that is where the Premiers need to have the cojones to say "the medical advice says <This> but the consequences of following that advice will lead to <That> so we're going to compromise and do <This> instead". In a similar vein Scone Airport recently tried to implement an 8-foot-high, barb-wire-topped fence between the airport and residential properties adjoining the airport, based on the recommendations of a "wildlife expert". The Council's own data showed there was less than 1 roo on the airport per month. Several residents argued against the proposal in the Council meeting, that the proposal was bollocks and Council agreed, overruling the recommendations in the "expert report" and going with a 5-foot fence. The point being, just because someone is an "expert" at something doesn't make them right! Experts built the Titanic, a lone amateur (reportedly) built the ark.....

Anyway, if the Politicians (and CHO's) were "sooooo concerned" with preventing fatalities, they would immediately ban tobacco products, a proven cause of many thousands of Australian deaths every single year! But will they? Pfft! Not a chance. Why? Because 5000+ deaths from smoking is socially acceptable. 1000+ deaths in motor accidents is socially acceptable for the convenience of the motor car - yet we blindly accept lockdowns & border closures on "medical advice" when the health system is capable of handling the expected case load should we not do any of those things.

So why is COVID different to the previous norms?

DHC8 Driver 4th Feb 2021 23:26


Originally Posted by KRviator (Post 10983753)
I'm reminded of a joke I read somewhere maaany years ago.

A bloke goes to a party with his Doctor wife and gets talking to the other quacks. He casually mentions he's got a pain in the chest occasionally.
The cardiac specialist says "It could be angina which can lead to a heart attack, you'd better come and see me next week!"
The Orthopaedic specialist says "It could be anything from a cracked rib to a spinal injury, you'd better come and see me next week as well!"
The Oncologist says "It could be cancer or a tumour, you'd better come and see me next week, too!"
His wife overhears the conversation and casually says "It's just heartburn, the silly bugger knows what causes it, but won't stop eating spicy food, no matter how much I tell him not too! A glass of Gaviscon and he's right as rain!

The problem with blindly following what a CHO describes as "Medical advice" is it is just that. Medical advice. It does not consider the broader socio-economic consequences of that advice! And that is where the Premiers need to have the cojones to say "the medical advice says <This> but the consequences of following that advice will lead to <That> so we're going to compromise and do <This> instead". In a similar vein Scone Airport recently tried to implement an 8-foot-high, barb-wire-topped fence between the airport and residential properties adjoining the airport, based on the recommendations of a "wildlife expert". The Council's own data showed there was less than 1 roo on the airport per month. Several residents argued against the proposal in the Council meeting, that the proposal was bollocks and Council agreed, overruling the recommendations in the "expert report" and going with a 5-foot fence. The point being, just because someone is an "expert" at something doesn't make them right! Experts built the Titanic, a lone amateur (reportedly) built the ark.....

Anyway, if the Politicians (and CHO's) were "sooooo concerned" with preventing fatalities, they would immediately ban tobacco products, a proven cause of many thousands of Australian deaths every single year! But will they? Pfft! Not a chance. Why? Because 5000+ deaths from smoking is socially acceptable. 1000+ deaths in motor accidents is socially acceptable for the convenience of the motor car - yet we blindly accept lockdowns & border closures on "medical advice" when the health system is capable of handling the expected case load should we not do any of those things.

So why is COVID different to the previous norms?

The answer is simple. The numbers in Australia are low because of the restrictions being implemented around the country. The goal is to avoid the situations playing out in the USA and UK.

601 5th Feb 2021 00:34


So far the ‘highly transmissible’ case in Perth who travelled all over the city has yielded precisely zero additional cases. Sure it may be another few days before a case or two emerge but it appears that
Maybe the ‘highly transmissible' is not applicable in hot weather.


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:41.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.