PDA

View Full Version : Luton-9

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

LTNman
8th Dec 2018, 18:48
And not a broken floor tile in sight....
LTNman, I think this was probably the 2005/6 rebuild as it looks like the upstairs departure lounge which opened around then.

The photo was taken last week and luckily the airport left the ceiling alone.

LGS6753
8th Dec 2018, 20:32
It is interesting with Jet2 being mentioned here that LGW & even SEN have also laid claim to losing or missing out with the base so not all can be correct one wonders.

But that means Stansted could have been their fourth choice! As you say, depends how you spin it.....:cool:

daz211
8th Dec 2018, 21:35
But that means Stansted could have been their fourth choice! As you say, depends how you spin it.....:cool:

Spin it how you want, Stansted was the only choice for Jet2, MAG has a very good relationship with Jet2 and worked very closely for over a year to make this happen and what a tremendous success it has been.

southside bobby
9th Dec 2018, 06:51
"If Luton had the land"....From a post above.

Perhaps another instance of the mangle & spin it how you might of stats could be then the area size of major UK airports...

LTN is tiny & 2nd smallest with 196 Ha.

Random others...

MAN 552 Ha
LGW 615 Ha
STN 713 Ha
ABZ 824 Ha
LHR 1215 Ha

& very surprisingly (perhaps) BFS is the largest airport in the UK with 1420 Ha!.

Expressflight
9th Dec 2018, 07:09
LTN is tiny & 2nd smallest with 196 Ha..
...... and SEN is the smallest with just 125ha.

southside bobby
9th Dec 2018, 07:25
...but is not SEN pipped to that post by LCY at 83 Ha.

Expressflight
9th Dec 2018, 07:42
...but is not SEN pipped to that post by LCY at 83 Ha.
Yes, of course but not laid as an airport site originally as all the others were. More like an onshore aircraft carrier!

LTNman
9th Dec 2018, 07:45
LLAL which owns the land the airport sits on and is itself owned by the council has taken over the control and running of a major town park and county wildlife site the borders the airport. No consultation just plain theft of a strategic community asset.

The DART was never about serving the exiting terminal but all about serving a second terminal as that would be when it was needed. The council is so sure that planning permission will be given by the government to expand the airport that it is spending £225 million on a gamble that will not add a single passenger to the airports existing capacity. When that day happens Luton will be sitting on a larger piece of land.

Lee Baker Street
9th Dec 2018, 07:55

Perhaps another instance of the mangle & spin it how you might of stats could be then the area size of major UK airports...

LTN is tiny & 2nd smallest with 196 Ha.

Random others...

MAN 552 Ha
LGW 615 Ha
STN 713 Ha
ABZ 824 Ha
LHR 1215 Ha

& very surprisingly (perhaps) BFS is the largest airport in the UK with 1420 Ha!.

Size is irrelevant but it’s what you do with it that matters! LTN might be small but if you consider it another way; in terms of size it is very efficient and from another angle most UK airports would love to have its footfall. Come the time when it builds those 16+ stands... it is capable of becoming the UKs number 3 airport! When it reaches its true potential the climax will leave the likes of MAG fealing inferior!

southside bobby
9th Dec 2018, 08:32
Steady on......

ericlday
9th Dec 2018, 08:33
Did wonder what sauce he was on last night........

pabely
9th Dec 2018, 08:35
Size is irrelevant but it’s what you do with it that matters! LTN might be small but if you consider it another way; in terms of size it is very efficient and from another angle most UK airports would love to have its footfall. Come the time when it builds those 16+ stands... it is capable of becoming the UKs number 3 airport! When it reaches its true potential the climax will leave the likes of MAG fealing inferior!
Lee, I understand your passion but No3 !?, I think condidate No5 is the best it could achieve. Remember if STN ever gets runway 2 then the gamble would have been lost and Luton could be forced to become the Le Bourget of London.

Falcon666
9th Dec 2018, 08:48
LTN,
The locals love highlighting its failures.( and some are on another planet it seems)
The STN thread dwellers who can see no wrong at STN and love to come over and stick the boot in when they feel like it.
The SEN guys trying to add a bit of humour and realism.

Thanks for all the posts, good to read!

ericlday
9th Dec 2018, 08:58
Back to figures...namely pax per Ha for 2017....rankings are as follows...
LTN (LLA for some)
LGW
LHR
MAN
STN

SWBKCB
9th Dec 2018, 09:16
Remember if STN ever gets runway 2 then the gamble would have been lost and Luton could be forced to become the Le Bourget of London.

But LTN has something that STN will never have - location, location, location

daz211
9th Dec 2018, 09:16
LTN,
The locals love highlighting its failures.( and some are on another planet it seems)
The STN thread dwellers who can see no wrong at STN and love to come over and stick the boot in when they feel like it.
The SEN guys trying to add a bit of humour and realism.

Thanks for all the posts, good to read!

Sorry to point this out, You nor LTN own this thread, as far as I’m aware you don’t need a season ticket or membership card to take part in any conversation, none of the STN dwellers, as you put it, would ever say there is nothing wrong with STN we all have our faults but to say LTN could one day be number 3 is farcical, STN or MAN will be in and out of that position and if expansion continues at Stansted I could see STN fighting for number 2 but that’s many year away, unfortunately LTN as we all know is restricted by lack of space to expand so never going to be number 3.
lets all play fair everyone is welcome in all threads unless they are locked.

southside bobby
9th Dec 2018, 09:28
Exactly the point ericlday I was expecting someone to do the maths & use the statistics to portray them in another form...

daz211
9th Dec 2018, 09:32
But LTN has something that STN will never have - location, location, location

location location location to what?

if you want to play the game of LTN has this and Stansted hasn’t, I think you will loose.
let me give you a few to start- Train station in the terminal 👍, Jet bridges👍, one of the busiest uk coach stations👍 A380 stands 👍 very long runway👍 Brand new arrivals building under construction👍. I think 10 new aircraft stands built this year with at least 2 more under construction👍.

Your turn 🙄.

southside bobby
9th Dec 2018, 09:41
Regarding the DART....The provision was a condition for the granting of planning permission to the 18m pax pa was it not?.

Could it be interpreted that the slow construction of the DART is because the airport has nearly reached that figure of 18m & providing £££ for it now as LTN tops out is a drain on Council resources.

SWBKCB
9th Dec 2018, 09:42
Okay, I'll play my Top Trump - LTN is in a better location for customers (people who buy airline tickets) - just look at a map.

daz211
9th Dec 2018, 09:55
Okay, I'll play my Top Trump - LTN is in a better location for customers (people who buy airline tickets) - just look at a map.

Well if that’s your best card, you must be one of those who think all passengers travel to one point in London, LTN is convenient for parts of London, Gatwick is convenient for parts of London, Stansted is convenient for parts of London, it all depends where your going but outside of London Stansted also has the Cambridge corridor.
People fly into London airports with onward travel to many place not just London.

Why can’t we all play nice and agree, Luton is Luton and Stansted is Stansted and each has its pro’s and cons. But we need to stop with the unrealistic ambitions that Luton is going to shoot up in the wrackings, it is what it is.

Im not LTN bashing I’m stating facts, let’s keep it real.

SWBKCB
9th Dec 2018, 10:11
People fly into London airports with onward travel to many place not just London.

Who said anything about London? Luton is in a better place for the majority of the country than STN, and so will always have that advantage, no matter how many bells and whistles STN gets.

I was referring to the comment that LTN may become the "Le Bourget of London" (i.e. lose it's airline services) if STN got a second runway. If it is left to the market (i.e. no articifial intervention), it will never happen because of LTN's location

LTNman
9th Dec 2018, 10:26
location location location to what?

if you want to play the game of LTN has this and Stansted hasn’t, I think you will loose.
let me give you a few to start- Train station in the terminal ��, Jet bridges��, one of the busiest uk coach stations�� A380 stands �� very long runway�� Brand new arrivals building under construction��. I think 10 new aircraft stands built this year with at least 2 more under construction��.

Your turn ��.

Well I can't argue against any of those valid points.

Can't argue that point either as it is valid. Luton is also on a main line and not a branch line, has a 24 hour service and has direct access from the Midlands to the South Coast and a hundred stations in between. The point regarding the DART is that capacity will be reached before the DART is complete so becomes irrelevant to the existing airport apart from adding convenience. The DART is all about long term expansion and a second terminal.Regarding the DART....The provision was a condition for the granting of planning permission to the 18m pax pa was it not?.

No it wasn't. The airport was already expanding to 18 million under existing planning permission before the DART was even discussed. The DART was a remarkable piece of council planning. I would say within a year of it being proposed the consultation was completed, the planning application was submitted and approved. Compare that with most other major projects that rumble on for years.

The issue with the DART is that it was thought about too late after work had started on the 18 million expansion. Whole areas of newly completed work has and is being dug up to allow the DART to go in adding ££££££ to the final bill.

southside bobby
9th Dec 2018, 11:05
Thanks re the DART I should pay more attention.

compton3bravo
11th Dec 2018, 16:14
November saw over 1.1 million passengers passing through the airport an 11.5 per cent rise on November 2017.

LTNman
11th Dec 2018, 17:46
I wonder if there is going to be an official opening ceremony for the terminal? In the last couple of days teams of people have been scrubbing the tarmac at the front of the terminal trying to remove the bubble gum. Designer signage has gone up outside that can't be read unless you stand within 5 metres as the writing is so small and providing that no smoker is learning on it. Plants have also been planted in flower beds. No more floor tiles have been replaced in locations that a grand tour would not cover so the first 30 check-in desks have had the floors repaired while the last 30 haven't.

Christmas has arrived at Luton while in the background the hoardings have come down revealing the glass screens covering the passenger search area
https://i.imgur.com/goNFwr2.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that apart from 3 small sections of ceiling in the new build the idea of fitting wooden slats has been abandoned. There is still general work taking place in pockets but the bulk of the terminal work seems to be complete but with a few hoardings still to be removed around arrivals.

I have to ask but is there a worse airport terminal ceiling anywhere in the UK or even Europe?
https://i.imgur.com/1MieOXU.jpg

LGS6753
12th Dec 2018, 09:26
An interesting analysis from Blue Swan Daily:

https://blueswandaily.com/london-calling-more-slots-available-in-summer-2019-despite-increasing-capital-congestion/

LTNman
12th Dec 2018, 10:33
More than half of these (16) will be at London City airport, whose major constraining factor is stand availability rather than runway availability. London Gatwick and London Luton airports have no net increase in total capacity.

Would have thought Luton's issue is overnight stands. During the day Luton seems to have plenty of spare capacity.

LTNman
12th Dec 2018, 12:27
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/318868/luton-airport-gearing-up-for-busiest-christmas-period

Day three of removing the chewing gum outside the terminal with chemicals and pressure washers. Day one of cleaning the doors and windows. Wonder who is coming?

ericlday
12th Dec 2018, 12:59
Father Christmas......

southside bobby
12th Dec 2018, 13:32
Well the cleaners at LTN are to undertake a second week long strike between 21/12-28/12.

dvc
13th Dec 2018, 12:59
Looks like terminal opening ceremony? https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1130/img_20181213_134857_03_55e787f24caa38e4df947d8ca12b309891750 956.jpeg

Opening

LTNman
13th Dec 2018, 13:53
They might have removed the bubble gum from the floor but they could not hide the ceiling. Maybe the guests were issued with blinkers so they couldn't look up.

southside bobby
13th Dec 2018, 14:21
It does all appear slightly underwhelming as ceremonies go perhaps...

…& not all progress on the arrivals board as a BBC article to illustrate the history of LTN portrays a photo of an Avro York disembarking passengers at Luton Airport from HONG KONG in 1951 !...

toledoashley
13th Dec 2018, 14:46
So it was Mr Grayling?

Spanish eyes
13th Dec 2018, 14:58
Who is he?

They should not have bothered with any sort of event. Outside looks rough, downstairs looks half finished, upstairs looks better but then there are the boarding gates. Best not to say too much about the bulk of those.

As pointed out they replaced some broken tiles as clearly they were embarrassed but leave the ones that the guests won't see.

compton3bravo
13th Dec 2018, 15:02
What is wrong with Hong Kong Southside. It was probably a government charter looking how the passengers are dressed.

dvc
13th Dec 2018, 15:18
As when they were about to cut the ribbon the fire alarm went off. Some water leak triggered it.

southside bobby
13th Dec 2018, 15:35
Nought wrong with Hong Kong it just illustrates the irony that it is not on the arrivals board nowadays...BUT it was just a light hearted observation nothing serious...

Falcon666
13th Dec 2018, 16:50
Another Tender out today.

Another new apron with 8 , yes 8 stands and a GA area down by the run up bay.

I wonder if this is another Apron or was the previous Tender related to this and not the area on the current drop off area?

LTNman
13th Dec 2018, 17:54
Going back to your post of 2nd December you said the other tender, which was for a new south east stand, was actually an apron as per your comment below but I have never found that notice you quoted. Can you provide a link as your conclusion was new stands on the drop off area while I was thinking what is now proposed.

If you read the Contract Notice section 11.2.4 they do actually state Stands.

I believe this is the area designated between the East Apron and South Stands which will become available when MSCP2 is built. Just an apron as Lot 1 states a value of £700k for it.Lot 2 ( local works) doesn’t have a value inserted but states the whole project will be capped at £2.5 Million.So what will the local work be at circa £1.8 Million.
A Pier extension? how much did the new Pier cost I wonder!

The latest tender is for a design rather than a build and could be linked to a terminal 2 which might be years away although it would not stop the apron being built.

dvc
13th Dec 2018, 18:29
From what people say at work there will be 5 stands between 49 and 23R l. Pier b also gonna be extended to cover those. 8 stands by erub seem to be for future terminal .

pabely
13th Dec 2018, 18:47
From what people say at work there will be 5 stands between 49 and 23R l. Pier b also gonna be extended to cover those. 8 stands by erub seem to be for future terminal .
8 stands by erub?

Falcon666
13th Dec 2018, 19:03
https://in-tendhost.co.uk/llaol/aspx/Tenders/Current

LTNman , the above link is to the main site.
If you look at the view details of L18109 and then the “ view new Contract notice”.
That was the section where i got the information that you are relating to.

The new 8 Stand Apron looks likely to be a remote Apron to start off with and then will become linked to the new terminal if it gets the go ahead..
If they can get it finished in time for Euro 2020 it might come in handy!

Falcon666
13th Dec 2018, 19:04
8 stands by erub?

Engine run up bay

pabely
13th Dec 2018, 19:06
If cause, a dumb moment!

LTNman
13th Dec 2018, 19:19
Yes south east stand also reads south east stands, which could mean the drop off area. Might be a typo error but could suggest an apron but then why not say an apron if they mean an apron.

compton3bravo
14th Dec 2018, 07:46
Or even a pinny!

LGS6753
14th Dec 2018, 12:24
Report on official opening from Travel Mole:

https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?c=setreg&region=2&m_id=s~T_mdT_Y!&w_id=35577&news_id=2035328

LTNman
14th Dec 2018, 14:40
While there is much to be desired with the finsh of the terminal the transformation has been remarkable with the full integration of 3 seperate but linked buildings. It is easy to forget how it was back in 2015 as the whole of this outside area is now terminal. Sorry to say that the hot dog type kiosks suvived the expansion.

https://i.imgur.com/Ypbp31R.jpg

LTNman
16th Dec 2018, 08:09
3 years in 2 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge_goC8g1jI

Opening ceremony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo_-OcWR4nM

Spanish eyes
16th Dec 2018, 08:48
What the Chief Executive should have said at the end of the second video was that the builders had been hidden away for the day and would be back in the terminal the following day as the terminal isn't finished yet.

Falcon666
16th Dec 2018, 10:34
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvEGR9aET1s

Behind the scenes look at Luton

dvc
16th Dec 2018, 15:10
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvEGR9aET1s

Behind the scenes look at Luton
It's weird to watch when you know 99% of people in this video... and know the truth ;-)

toledoashley
17th Dec 2018, 08:30
Wizzair adding Bergen, Oslo, Turku, Catania, Thessaloniki and Porto for Summer 19. Two more 321s to be based at LTN.

LTNman
17th Dec 2018, 10:20
And there we were all thinking that Ryanair grabbed the last two stands that became free when the 2 builder compounds were dismantled. Wonder where the extra 2 spare stands are coming from?

Lee Baker Street
17th Dec 2018, 11:12
I think with 18 million pax by end of 2019 then the airport is being prudent to add a few more stands.

LTNman
17th Dec 2018, 11:13
It was only a few days ago that the front of the terminal got a bit of spit and polish for the grand opening ceremony. Today normal service has been resumed but a bonus for the smokers is that the LLA logo that appeared last week by the entrances makes a great shelf to leave bottles, tins and cups after puffing on a fag.

https://i.imgur.com/CpOkp6B.jpg

ericlday
17th Dec 2018, 11:34
Oh but the lady is 'very busy'

pabely
17th Dec 2018, 11:54
Detail https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/wizz-air-uk-taking-luton-based-fleet-to-11-next-year-454474/

BHX5DME
17th Dec 2018, 12:11
Nick Barton is leaving Luton and will join BHX in January after four years with Luton and eight at Stansted, where he was managing director.

At Birmingham, he will oversee a £500 million upgrade and expansion. It is planned to grow the facility from the current 13 million passengers a year to 18 million.

Barton said: “I am thrilled to be joining Birmingham airport to deliver the board’s vision and strategy for this critical piece of national and regionally significant transport infrastructure. Birmingham airport is on the threshold of a very exciting chapter in its development and I am delighted to have been given the responsibility to lead and shape the future of the airport.”

The airport’s chairman Tim Clarke said: “We have carried out an extensive search of the aviation sector for a new chief executive. The board is delighted to have secured such a proven and experienced individual to execute our ambitious vision for the development of the airport.

“His record in generating strong growth brings the quality of leadership needed to fully realise the potential of this vital asset for the West Midlands economy and the region as a whole.”

Alberto Martin, Luton’s planning and investment director, has taken over the top job there, replacing Barton. Before joining Luton, Martin held a variety of executive roles across Europe, including 10 years as managing director of Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura airports.

He said: “Building on the strong demand from passengers and the success of our recent terminal transformation, I’m delighted to have the opportunity to lead the team in establishing LLA as the airport of choice for accessible, easy and enjoyable air travel”.

davidjohnson6
17th Dec 2018, 12:17
Not at all surprised about Bergen and Turku being opened.

Ever since BA, Easyjet and (I think) SAS dropped the London-Bergen route, Norwegian has been able to charge whatever it liked - there is definitely room for a second player in summer at least

It's been puzzling me for years why Turku hasn't had a London link after Ryanair stopped STN-TKU many years ago. If Rovaniemi, Kuusamo, Ivalo and Kittila can all sustain ample winter seasonal scheduled flights from London and there are 9 flights per day on London-Helsinki, then perhaps time to look at a route to Turku or Tampere.

The timings on both Oslo and Porto both look like something to keep an aircraft busy at off-peak times. However London-Oslo and (especially) London-Porto might turn into a fare war - can these 2 routes really sustain 5 carriers each ?

dvc
17th Dec 2018, 12:23
And there we were all thinking that Ryanair grabbed the last two stands that became free when the 2 builder compounds were dismantled. Wonder where the extra 2 spare stands are coming from?
From what I know wizz will have 2 overnight flights. Both leaving around 2300.

LTNman
17th Dec 2018, 13:19
So Wizz becomes Luton's largest carrier in terms of seats for sale.

pabely
17th Dec 2018, 16:56
https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/easyjet-luton-airport-create-christmas-lightshow/1521305

compton3bravo
17th Dec 2018, 18:37
Never mind the new Wizz routes, 15 extra weekly flights on existing services with Larnaca going double daily and Tirana daily.

LTNman
17th Dec 2018, 18:50
Wizz describes Luton as their fortress. With Luton having 4 more based aircraft at Luton next summer 18 million must be getting close.

Where Luton has been less successful is attracting new non based airlines which seem to be heading for Stansted with Southend picking up random routes.

mariofly12
17th Dec 2018, 19:48
Flight times to OSL,BGO,OPO,SKG,TKU,CTA are very convenient for leisure and VFR pax..And their increased frequencies on LCA,ATH,TIA etc creates a huge wave of red-eye flights giving max utilization of a/c since their departure and arrival at LTN is around the first wave of 0700-0800..I dont know which of these will continue for W19/20 and if increased frequencies will be kept but it's gonna be a battlefield between the big 3 LCCs (W6,U2,FR)..e.g. LTN-ATH introduced daily by FR too...Easyjet flies also LTN-SKG in the summer but on different days (2,4,6)..
Check here the red-eye wave of departures:

Athens 22:40 (04:25 arrival)
Bucharest 21:55 (03:10 arrival)
Chisinau 00:05 (05:20 arrival)
Cluj-Napoca 20:45 (01:40 arrival)
Constanta 22:40 (04:05 arrival)
Debrecen 22:20 (01:55 arrival)
Kharkiv 22:40 (04:25 arrival)
Sibiu 20:45 (01:45 arrival)
Sofia 21:55 (02:55 arrival)
Suceava 22:40 (03:45 arrival)
Timisoara 21:55 (02:35 arrival)
Varna 21:15 (02:40 arrival)
Vilnius 21:40 (02:20 arrival)

Confirmed Must Ride
18th Dec 2018, 05:45
Not at all surprised about Bergen and Turku being opened.

Ever since BA, Easyjet and (I think) SAS dropped the London-Bergen route, Norwegian has been able to charge whatever it liked - there is definitely room for a second player in summer at least

It's been puzzling me for years why Turku hasn't had a London link after Ryanair stopped STN-TKU many years ago. If Rovaniemi, Kuusamo, Ivalo and Kittila can all sustain ample winter seasonal scheduled flights from London and there are 9 flights per day on London-Helsinki, then perhaps time to look at a route to Turku or Tampere.

The timings on both Oslo and Porto both look like something to keep an aircraft busy at off-peak times. However London-Oslo and (especially) London-Porto might turn into a fare war - can these 2 routes really sustain 5 carriers each ?
The Bergen route is only sustainable with support from Oil and Gas travel. easyJets highest load was between 30-50 people per flight, thats why it only lastest as long as it did. Was only instigated to add a bit of pressure to DY

compton3bravo
18th Dec 2018, 07:18
Personally I don't think Wizz are looking at gas and oil personnel more like Norwegians coming to London for shopping etc and UK citizens to visit Bergen and the fjords (I do near they are pining for them!). Regards Porto it has a large catchment area with the Spanish cities of Vigo, Ourense and Pontevedra not to far away as well as Braga in Portugal but we will just have to wait and see.

Falcon666
18th Dec 2018, 11:30
Following a recommendation from our shareholders we are looking to improve the current customer satisfaction scores at LLA and require a strategy to achieve this and, year on year, improve. The strategy should highlight quick wins and longer terms plans to enable success as soon as possible.

Quote from latest Tender, The shareholders have at long last recognised that LTN needs to get its act together and promote a better experience!
Time will tell

AirportPlanner1
18th Dec 2018, 13:54
The Bergen route is only sustainable with support from Oil and Gas trade

Rubbish. It’s pretty much the number one destination in Norway for foreign tourists and their busiest cruise terminal. It also draws a lot of Norwegian tourists visiting the U.K. for shopping, football etc.

LTNman
18th Dec 2018, 14:55
Following a recommendation from our shareholders we are looking to improve the current customer satisfaction scores at LLA and require a strategy to achieve this and, year on year, improve. The strategy should highlight quick wins and longer terms plans to enable success as soon as possible.

Quote from latest Tender, The shareholders have at long last recognised that LTN needs to get its act together and promote a better experience!
Time will tell

Why do they need to tender to find out their issues when they can go to this website for free https://www.airlinequality.com/airport-reviews/luton-airport/ Complaints are mainly about staff attitudes, queues, a lack of seating, drop off charges and the departure gates. The strategy should be investment including fixtures and fittings which plays on the subconscious mind.

PAXboy
19th Dec 2018, 10:51
Indeed LTNman. If a managment team have to ask others for solutions to the things they manage - they are not capable of manging! I have seen this for years in areas of IT that I was in for 27 years. Promoted beyond their abilities and when the times change - they are managers in name only.

The most important lesson I learnt about managing was: "Listen to your staff, Listen to your customers. Make them both happy." It is much easier when managers have worked their way up the chain and know how the system works... The first job I ever did at 16 was working Saturdays in a department store. The General Manager of the store told me that he had started as a Saturday boy when he was at school. That said, Main Board directors like to change the system every couple of years because they don't know what they are doing either!

dvc
19th Dec 2018, 12:03
Any idea what happened there https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1493/psx_20181219_130254_2a4650865eeba8eeef45af417a11a4ceedc4b51c .jpg

LTNman
19th Dec 2018, 12:18
The crane was like this yesterday morning with one lane of the exit route closed off. The location is the back end of the DART maintenance area close to Delta. It is hard to tell what happened as the ground conditions under the crane tracks are hidden but I assume it went into a ditch. I am guessing the driver had to go home to change his underwear.

forest
19th Dec 2018, 14:29
It very much looked like the tracks had been retracted into the close together position and the counterweighted rear end toppled it backwards, a bit of uneven ground may have assisted but didn't look terrible. The tracks have always been wide apart after it was delivered off the back of the low loader. Road going crane arrived earlier to either lift off the counterweights or return it to straight and level.

forest
19th Dec 2018, 14:31
https://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/32026/

Indeed, i guessed correctly.

pabely
20th Dec 2018, 10:10
WOW Air diverted from LGW, surprised it didn't go to STN

LTNman
20th Dec 2018, 10:45
Yes a Wow A321 parked on the south stands.

LTN has used the taxiway extenion at the 08 end to park 4 Easyjet overnight. The steps are still attached to the second and third aircraft.

https://i.imgur.com/Hx2L7F8.jpg

dvc
20th Dec 2018, 11:52
Some large UAVs over perimeter caused Gatwick to shutdown last night.

boeing_eng
20th Dec 2018, 11:58
TUI should be operating the first revenue 787 flight ex LTN this afternoon to BGI due to the LGW chaos

LTNman
20th Dec 2018, 13:27
It will be interesting if the 787 can fly to Barbados non stop from Luton

LTNman
20th Dec 2018, 14:15
Rossiya Airlines seems to have a departure back to Russia at 18:00 after arriving at around 16:15. Not sure if this is linked to Gatwick.

compton3bravo
20th Dec 2018, 14:28
Plus two more TUI flights - Agadir and Arrecife.

compton3bravo
20th Dec 2018, 14:49
Apologies that should be Las Palmas not Arrecife.

whitelighter
20th Dec 2018, 16:22
WOW Air diverted from LGW, surprised it didn't go to STN

STN refused any extra diverts from 0500 onwards

AFTN message sent declaring the airport at capacity

compton3bravo
20th Dec 2018, 18:10
Another WOW on its way this evening.

pamann
20th Dec 2018, 18:28
Another WOW on its way this evening.

Are you sure?

WW814 is showing on the Stansted arrivals due 2015.

pabely
20th Dec 2018, 19:12
WW814A just arriving LTN

Buster the Bear
20th Dec 2018, 19:52
Some of the easyJet flights arrived following PAN calls due lowering fuel.

LTNman
21st Dec 2018, 04:19
GIt will be interesting if the 787 can fly to Barbados non stop from Luton

Just checked Flightradar 24, with the aircraft G-TUIE departing very late and with around a half hour to go before landing the 787 is indeed flying non stop to Barbados from Luton. I am assuming that with it being close to Christmas the flight would have been full.

Edit, just landed after a flight of 8 hours 15 minutes.

LGS6753
21st Dec 2018, 08:02
Despite Gatwick opening, I see the Wow Air flight this morning remains on the Arrival board.
I also see that Blue Air are code-sharing with Cyprus Airways on their Larnaca flights.

gilesdavies
21st Dec 2018, 11:48
G

Just checked Flightradar 24, with the aircraft G-TUIE departing very late and with around a half hour to go before landing the 787 is indeed flying non stop to Barbados from Luton. I am assuming that with it being close to Christmas the flight would have been full.

Edit, just landed after a flight of 8 hours 15 minutes.

I think the same TUI 787-8's also operate non-stop to the US and Caribbean from Bristol, which has an even shorter runway than Luton, but good to know the airport's infrastructure can support today's newer modern aircraft on these longer routes!

Was this a cruise ship flight? I'm guessing if so, there was a need to get these passengers expedited out to the ship as quick as possible, before the ship departed.

I think the 787-9 might have been a bit more of a struggle to operate non-stop from the airport.

TUI are in a fortunate position with it being winter where a lot of the fleet is not in as much demand, as during the summer and can support these extra flights while the LGW base was grounded.

22/04
21st Dec 2018, 12:39
Although Barbados may be within performance the 787-8 form Luton yesterday, it was not a hot summer day and there was a good headwind component for take off.

pamann
21st Dec 2018, 12:48
I think some of you need to put this into respective And calm your excitement.

The TUI Barbados flight was a divert due to the LGW drone incident. It wasn’t a proving flight for LTN 787 longhaul ops. TUI are more than knowledgeable on what their 787 can do and from where. All TUI’s eggs are in one basket. That basket is called LGW so I’d stop getting over excited and get a grip on reality. They won’t be launching 787 longhaul flights from LTN any time soon due to an unscheduled divert that happened yesterday. End of.

LTNman
21st Dec 2018, 12:58
pamann You have completely missed the point. No one has suggested proving flights, no one is getting excited, no one has suggested TUI long haul. WE all know it was a Gatwick flight. The point that was being made is how far the 787 has travelled non stop from Luton. End of.

Now calm down and stop getting excited.

gilesdavies
21st Dec 2018, 13:07
I think some of you need to put this into respective And calm your excitement.

The TUI Barbados flight was a divert due to the LGW drone incident. It wasn’t a proving flight for LTN 787 longhaul ops. TUI are more than knowledgeable on what their 787 can do and from where. All TUI’s eggs are in one basket. That basket is called LGW so I’d stop getting over excited and get a grip on reality. They won’t be launching 787 longhaul flights from LTN any time soon due to an unscheduled divert that happened yesterday. End of.

I'm firmly a grip of reality and aware of why the flight was operating out of LTN...

It is not everyday a long haul fully loaded wide body operates out of Luton, and think this is the first 787 long haul flight to operate from the airport! I was simply acknowledging it was good to see what capabilities the airports runway/infrastructure can support with this aircraft type.

I'm very pleased to hear you confirm TUI know what they were doing with their 787's! I thought they might just fully load a 787 up and take pot-luck chance to see if it will clear the end of the runway and or just take a chance, if they have enough fuel to get to Barbados non-stop and if not just ditch in the Atlantic! {Sarcasm} :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I'm not a pilot, and don't have the 787 hand books to hand to check the technical operational requirements of the aircraft!

dvc
21st Dec 2018, 14:12
787-8 needs 2600 meters of dry runway in standard atmosphere at maximum takeoff weight. The colder it gets the less they need. Luton is just shy of 2200 meters. Don't have proper tables on me at the moment tho

Level bust
21st Dec 2018, 15:12
The TUI cruise I'm going on in February goes from Jamaica. I suspect (although I may be wrong) it's just a normal bucket and spade flight, especially as there are passengers out there that need to get home.

pamann
21st Dec 2018, 16:10
Some of you are clearly over excited. Maybe lay off the Xmas Sherries. :p

LTNman
21st Dec 2018, 16:25
Merry Christmas pamann.

Gatwick closed again

ImPlaneCrazy
21st Dec 2018, 16:46
LTN starting to take its first diverts from the second LGW closure.... EZY TFS on approach with a few more shortly behind...

dvc
21st Dec 2018, 17:53
7 Easyjet diverted to LTN and 1 Thomson. 2 easy are 321s all up on south apron and cargo

pabely
21st Dec 2018, 18:55
Hope they get back to LGW overnight, hell of a busy shedule tomorrow, GVA almost hourly with EZY.

compton3bravo
21st Dec 2018, 18:55
Plus a Vueling A319 from Florence.

LTNman
21st Dec 2018, 21:03
Wonder why then don’t use the run up bay, which could squeeze in two airbuses?

dvc
22nd Dec 2018, 11:37
They need it for remote hold. It's more important than you may think. And Bravo extension doesn't make much difference when runway 26 is in operation, so it's better to park them over there. By the way, the plan was to put next one in run up bay but luckily Gatwick reopened.

Captain_Caveman
23rd Dec 2018, 00:34
They need it for remote hold. It's more important than you may think. And Bravo extension doesn't make much difference when runway 26 is in operation, so it's better to park them over there. By the way, the plan was to put next one in run up bay but luckily Gatwick reopened.

there were two in the run up bay overnight early on Friday morning... the ivalo and agadir diverts were towed there after offloading passengers on the taxiway.

LTNman
23rd Dec 2018, 20:38
Don’t know if anyone else has mentioned this but Alitalia are using an AZ code on Blue Air’s Turin service. Been that way for a while now.

pabely
23rd Dec 2018, 21:24
Yes noted on #2094 by LGS6753

LTNman
24th Dec 2018, 03:22
I just knew someone was going to quote that post. Look again, that was a code share with Cyprus Airways to Larnaca. This is a code share with Alitalia to Turin.

Sad day for Luton last week with the removal of Monarch signage and logo from the front of their former HQ. Building to let banners have been put up instead as a period of refurbishment takes place from January by a company that has bought the building.

Lee Baker Street
24th Dec 2018, 05:53
Firstly wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and happy new year.

LTNMan, whilst Monarch Aircraft Engineering continue to flourish, having succeeded 50 years of excellent aircraft engineering, the name Monarch will be a name to be seen at its spiritual home at LTN for decades to come.

I like to think that one day the Monarch livery will one day take to the skies once more.

LTNman
24th Dec 2018, 06:37
LTNMan, whilst Monarch Aircraft Engineering continue to flourish, having succeeded 50 years of excellent aircraft engineering, the name Monarch will be a name to be seen at its spiritual home at LTN for decades to come.

Unlikely to be that scenario but time will tell.

southside bobby
24th Dec 2018, 06:47
Also not previously mentioned was the announcement in October that Greybull Capital LLP became the majority shareholder in MAEL & MAEL`s lenders PNC will continue to provide facilities & support.

pabely
24th Dec 2018, 06:47
As MAEL is up for sale, the Monarch name almost certainly will disappear.

LTNman
24th Dec 2018, 07:20
2019 will be a big year for Luton as the council and LLAL announce their preferred option for airport expansion. The consultation was a fictitious exercise because it was always planned to be on the adjoining Wigmore Park, as the council already owned the land. The locals are not happy but the argument goes that people who don’t like airports should not live next to one but those same residents bought homes that had a large park and county wildlife site sitting between the airport and their homes and didn't expect to see a major park built on.

A new website has been created https://stoplae.org to fight that proposal. Not many here will sympathise as there is no such thing as too many flights in their eyes but for every action there is a consequence. The group has produced a video with quite haunting music that shows what Luton will lose. This is a town with very limited green areas within its border so don’t just dismiss them as tree huggers. Watch the video and reflect.
https://stoplae.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/70%E2%80%B0Smaller-HD-SLAE-.mp4

davidjohnson6
24th Dec 2018, 07:32
Have seen what happened to Lowfield Heath near Gatwick... worth walking around what remains of that village

compton3bravo
24th Dec 2018, 12:00
I see that Wizz have 17 departures between 1850 and midnight today. It was not that long ago that the last departure of any kind left about 1600
To all ppruners Feliz Navidad.

LTNman
24th Dec 2018, 13:08
Christmas Day departures are now starting to appear on the airports website and are showing Wizz departures. Don’t think they have ever operated on Christmas Day before from Luton.

pabely
24th Dec 2018, 17:02
Just hope nothing breaks with MAEL not working tomorrow!

1sky
25th Dec 2018, 01:16
Is there any public transport from Luton airport to Luton town centre on the 26th of December?

LTNman
25th Dec 2018, 04:01
Yes but it is a Sunday timetable for Boxing Day with the first bus leaving the airport at 8:40.

compton3bravo
25th Dec 2018, 06:20
It seems Luton has more passenger movements today than Stansted thanks to Wizz. It must be many years since that happened. Just stating a fact so no silly comments please.

LTNman
25th Dec 2018, 06:59
Without Wizz there would have been only 2 arrivals today excluding biz jets which would have been down on last year. No El-Al I noticed as well.

Flightmech
25th Dec 2018, 07:17
ZFirstly wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and happy new year.

I like to think that one day the Monarch livery will one day take to the skies once more.

It would be nice but after yesterday’s announcement I think the MAEL brand will soon be gone too. It certainly isn’t flourishing......

southside bobby
25th Dec 2018, 07:24
Ho Ho...Merry Christmas to one & all...

And only as you mention it & only for the record Santa due to deliver the following arrivals for STN on Christmas Day..

3 x PGT
1 x KKK
1 x UAE
1 x MLD
1 x TOM
1 x LDM
3 x EWG

+ GTI B748F on the regular Huntsville.

A nice varied little bunch.

LTNman
25th Dec 2018, 07:48
Quantity or quality, let’s call it a draw at this special time of the year. Merry Xmas everyone.

Better not mention Luton's biz jets today. ho ho ho

forest
25th Dec 2018, 09:22
Have you done any movements comparisons to Gatwick for the morning?

ericlday
25th Dec 2018, 09:28
No.....nor Heathrow/Birmingham/Manchester. Why have you ?

Dannyboy39
25th Dec 2018, 09:30
Seems to be a bumper day this year in terms of passenger movements - WZZ seem to be operating around 30 departures with the odd one from VLG/TOM.

Why these flights need to operate today I’ve no idea.

compton3bravo
25th Dec 2018, 10:28
Nice quiet day to travel. Also a lot of people are not particularly religious or have another faith other than Christianity.

davidjohnson6
25th Dec 2018, 10:35
Anyone at Luton today who can give a comment on Wizz's passenger numbers today ? Healthy loads leading to a likely repeat of flights on 25-Dec-2019 or are the aircraft all half empty ?

LTNman
25th Dec 2018, 11:59
The issue for Wizz is that they can only use the stands vacated by Wizz based aircraft and the TUI departure so limiting potential services.

pabely
25th Dec 2018, 17:10
Seems to be a bumper day this year in terms of passenger movements - WZZ seem to be operating around 30 departures with the odd one from VLG/TOM.

Why these flights need to operate today I’ve no idea.
Not every country does 25th, alot do 24th instead, especially in Eastern Europe.

boeing_eng
26th Dec 2018, 23:33
Rumour has it from one of the ground handling companies that the Xmas day Wizz flights were initially loaded by mistake into the booking system! Apparently a lot of the crews who were subsequently rostered for the 25th were not impressed!

LTNman
27th Dec 2018, 06:44
But only by enough to allow for the stands vacated by Wizz based aircraft. On a normal day Wizz needs to use the stands vacated by the first wave of Easyjet departures so makes the story seem unlikely.

compton3bravo
27th Dec 2018, 07:47
Considering that Wizz had a considerable flying programme beside flights to/from UK as LTNman says the rumour seems very unlikely.

pabely
27th Dec 2018, 08:32
As MAEL were not working and Storm had to come up from Gatwick to cover, was the rumour from an already unhappy MAEL ground crew member?

boeing_eng
27th Dec 2018, 09:40
No not from MAEL.....

Considering Wizz is now MAEL's primary source of work for the based Line Engineers, surely the program would have been supported by them on Xmas day if it had been correctly planned in advance!

pabely
27th Dec 2018, 10:00
No not from MAEL.....

Considering Wizz is now MAEL's primary source of work for the based Line Engineers, surely the program would have been supported by them on Xmas day if it had been correctly planned in advance!
A question for Management, just because Monarch Airline is no longer with us, it doesn't mean other supporting work isn't. Did they never ask their now biggest Line customer?

Flightmech
27th Dec 2018, 11:12
A question for Management, just because Monarch Airline is no longer with us, it doesn't mean other supporting work isn't. Did they never ask their now biggest Line customer?
Having been a customer of Monarch for 10 years+ at two line locations and a previous base maintenance customer at another two, no they didn't ask. They just gave 24 hours notice of cease of support. In fact they didn't even do that, we had to ask them!

gilesdavies
31st Dec 2018, 15:04
It was announced a few months ago Ryanair was expanding at Luton with two extra aircraft, has that expansion already taken effect and in operation?

Just looking at Ryanair to book a cheap winter getaway and noticed all the routes are now operating. I thought the expansion and new routes like Athens and Barcelona were not starting until April or May time?!

pabely
31st Dec 2018, 15:11
It was announced a few months ago Ryanair was expanding at Luton with two extra aircraft, has that expansion already taken effect and in operation?

Just looking at Ryanair to book a cheap winter getaway and noticed all the routes are now operating. I thought the expansion and new routes like Athens and Barcelona were not starting until April or May time?!
W18 so up and running already https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-announces-200m-investment-in-london-luton-with-2-new-based-aircraft/

pabely
2nd Jan 2019, 15:25
Two Multistory Car Park cores taking shape, a lot of steel work arrived and earth being dug out next to fire-station for DART, things should move quickly now..........

LTNman
2nd Jan 2019, 16:27
The first batch of steelwork for the second multistory arrived just before Christmas.

I have heard that Easyjet will be going self handling after being somewhat disappointed with Menzies

Wizz had a bad experience with Azzurra when most of their baggage handlers stayed at home on Christmas Day

pabely
2nd Jan 2019, 16:30
Just noticed, is stand 23R now connected to taxiway Delta, should aid shunting around Biz? Also Taxiway Echo is taking shape.

22/04
2nd Jan 2019, 16:59
Also Taxiway Echo is taking shape

Should this be foxtrot.

pabely
2nd Jan 2019, 18:53
Should this be foxtrot.
True! Next question then, why did they go for Taxiway Hotel and not Gulf, something else in future planning?

LTNman
2nd Jan 2019, 19:24
Just noticed, is stand 23R now connected to taxiway Delta.

Are you sure? If true why, as the wing tip clearance of Delta would make a connection to the South Stands pointless when it is already a quick 180 via Alpha.

Taxiway Hotel is already in use and sits between B1 and C1 and is the original B1 exit before the taxiway extension.

pabely
2nd Jan 2019, 23:12
If you look out from roof of mutistorey then it looks like fresh concrete. I know where Hotel is, why no Foxtrot?

LTNman
3rd Jan 2019, 05:20
Think you will find that fresh concrete is the extensions to either end of the South Stands that was completed a year or so ago that added 2 new stands. I also think a narrow strip of grass still separates Taxiway Delta from the South Stands but I will check it.

From memory taxiway Foxtrot is the parallel taxiway to Delta that is under construction. Taxiway Golf will replace holding point A1 which will be moved to the taxiway extension at the 26 end that has yet to be built.

Going back to the parallel taxiway Foxtrot, there will be a second connection to Delta half way along it so will that short link become taxiway Juliet? Not sure if the letter i is used for taxiways.

Just as a side note holding point F1 already exists which is the entrance to the Harrods hangar apron so will that be numbered K1?

compton3bravo
3rd Jan 2019, 06:31
Roger all that, I think!!!

pabely
3rd Jan 2019, 20:34
Being reported that the Line Maintenance arm has been sold today, fingers crossed for all employees.

Buster the Bear
3rd Jan 2019, 21:14
Nothing like overselling your car parking by an alleged 10% over Christmas, and then telling irate folk who turn up having paid on line, that Slip End is not far!

Mr @ Spotty M
4th Jan 2019, 04:49
Have gone into administration as of today, no more base (hangar) maintenance, but the Training Dept and the CAMO are going to continue to trade under administration, while a buyer is found. :{

southside bobby
4th Jan 2019, 05:10
A great shame...Unfortunately it did not take long for the Greybull ownership to take effect & the breaking up of assets commencing it appears.

LTNman
4th Jan 2019, 06:48
I can’t think of an older Ltn based company which was around for over 50 years.

This could be an opportunity for Gulfstream to expand at Luton as they were looking for new hangars last year.

LTNman
4th Jan 2019, 07:17
Staff meeting at 9am

boeing_eng
4th Jan 2019, 10:08
Good luck to all at MAEL....a very sad situation and a great loss to the industry if a buyer cannot be found. Its clear that the debts and financial mess created by Greybull have dragged down this operation which was always profitable! The Line operation has/will transfer to Storm Aviation

Gulfstream have already confirmed they will move to Farnborough within the next couple of years

pabely
4th Jan 2019, 11:29
Storm now officially setup at Luton http://www.stormaviation.com/news/new-luton-line-maintenance-station-opened-01012019/

I didn't think Gulfstream were leaving Luton, just outgrown it and overflowing to Farnborough

boeing_eng
4th Jan 2019, 11:52
From what I've heard Gulfstream will fully relocate to Farnborough once the new facility there is fully up and running (should be next year)

https://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/article/11125/Cabinet-agrees-package-of-measures-to-support-Gulfstream

boeing_eng
4th Jan 2019, 12:02
I can’t think of an older Ltn based company which was around for over 50 years.

How about the 57 year old Euravia->Britannia->Thomson->TUI :bored:

pabely
4th Jan 2019, 12:48
From what I've heard Gulfstream will fully relocate to Farnborough once the new facility there is fully up and running (should be next year)

https://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/article/11125/Cabinet-agrees-package-of-measures-to-support-Gulfstream
I will check on that one, sales, marketing etc yes.

I looked into buying into the The Swan PH on Farnborough Road at one point, looks like a mistake on my part, another 500 mouths to feed!

Buster the Bear
4th Jan 2019, 14:09
I was told that both the new Farnborough facility and the existing hangar at Luton would be retained. Swan is owned now by TAG I believe?

pabely
4th Jan 2019, 14:40
I was told that both the new Farnborough facility and the existing hangar at Luton would be retained. Swan is owned now by TAG I believe?

Are you thinking about the Aviator Hotel Buster, it's been a few years since I worked down that way but I'm sure the were involved in that. Perhaps if Gulf4uk or Chevvron might know?

boeing_eng
4th Jan 2019, 15:07
The Gulfstream staff have been told that the whole facility is re-locating from LTN to Farnborough.....The confusion may have arisen as the LTN facility is obviously staying open until the new one is ready for action...

LTNman
4th Jan 2019, 15:36
I heard that Signature will move back into their former hangar that Gulfstream now lease and that Harrods will occupy the Signature hangar by cargo.

Not good for Gulfstream staff as Gulfstream were based a Cambridge so making Luton commutable. Farnborough means house relocation if they want to keep their jobs even for those living in Luton.

LTNman
5th Jan 2019, 05:58
Gulfstream will be gone by next year as they will be doubling hangar space at their new Farnborough home. Seems that Luton no longer met their needs and is a further blow to the aircraft maintenance side of Luton.

This report from May 2018.
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2018-05-28/gulfstream-build-new-service-center-farnborough

pabely
5th Jan 2019, 09:06
Speaking to some Signature employees the relocation package is nit very attractive so looking also at other opportunities. The MAEL hangar at LTN is debt free so should not have a problem finding a buyer, the BHX operation is a different storey so more of worry for ex employees.

LTNman
5th Jan 2019, 10:33
MEAL still have two hangars at Luton.

Buster the Bear
6th Jan 2019, 09:56
Are you thinking about the Aviator Hotel Buster, it's been a few years since I worked down that way but I'm sure the were involved in that. Perhaps if Gulf4uk or Chevvron might know?

The pub on short final for 24, The Swan I was told is TAG owned, together with a fair number of other properties around the boundary.

LTNman, that was certainly the case last year that Gulfstream would be completely re-locating, but I understand that the new proposed Farnborough hangar site has been moved and the Hampshire operation was looking at becoming an interior upgrading and finishing centre, as well as a maintenance facility, Luton would remain open.

davidjohnson6
6th Jan 2019, 11:06
I've noticed that Wizz are selling virtually all flights on Luton-Grenoble (and vice versa) for a price rather lower than similiar flights with other airlines to/from London airports; the only exception is for half term

Is this perhaps a route that Wizz might not operate next winter ?

pabely
6th Jan 2019, 14:07
The pub on short final for 24, The Swan I was told is TAG owned, together with a fair number of other properties around the boundary.

LTNman, that was certainly the case last year that Gulfstream would be completely re-locating, but I understand that the new proposed Farnborough hangar site has been moved and the Hampshire operation was looking at becoming an interior upgrading and finishing centre, as well as a maintenance facility, Luton would remain open.
I wonder how all this will effect the lease at STN of space?

LTNman
6th Jan 2019, 19:32
Still hearing that Signature will be moving back into the hangar they built and that Harrods will end up with a complex of 3 hangars.

Looking at the artist’s impression of Gulfstream's Farnborough facility I can see why they want to move.

On the down side Farnborough is not 24 hour and then there is the issue of getting the staff to move.

BlueA330
8th Jan 2019, 21:23
I’ve seen Paris Orly on the arrivals a few days now but doesn’t appear on Transavia booking site . Are these ad hoc flights ?

cj241101
9th Jan 2019, 03:43
I’ve seen Paris Orly on the arrivals a few days now but doesn’t appear on Transavia booking site . Are these ad hoc flights ?

Yes, 5 flights in total Mon-Fri this week.

Buster the Bear
9th Jan 2019, 10:43
BMW charters is the rumour.

LTNman
9th Jan 2019, 14:54
The second core to the second multistory heads for completion.
https://i.imgur.com/QLhZc6g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TyqU8TX.jpg

With a passenger route passing through the site of the multistory work carries on either side.
https://i.imgur.com/XICAEZ8.jpg

4 of the 6 cranes onsite today. Some digging out has taken place at the far end of the DART
https://i.imgur.com/CJLGFFy.jpg

Across the taxiway the ground is starting to be dug out for the DART
https://i.imgur.com/SSB0AZz.jpg

It won't be too long before the approach road is diverted.
https://i.imgur.com/K9z52mQ.jpg

toledoashley
9th Jan 2019, 17:45
With the road diverted, will you still be able to walk through the underpass?

LTNman
9th Jan 2019, 19:04
The road is being diverted once it exits the tunnel. A look at the above photo shows the pavement being tarmaced that will connect to the tunnel.

LGS6753
10th Jan 2019, 15:46
Airline Route is reporting another growth spurt from WizzAir UK:
Wizz Air in December 2018 announced service expansion at London Luton, including the launch of 6 new routes in the 3rd quarter of 2019. The airline will also expand operational frequencies on existing routes.

All routes listed below is operated by Wizz Air UK (W9).

London Luton – Bergen eff 01JUL19 4 weekly A321
London Luton – Catania eff 17SEP19 3 weekly A320
London Luton – Oslo eff 16SEP19 1 daily A321
London Luton – Porto eff 02JUL19 3 weekly A321
London Luton – Thessaloniki eff 01JUL19 4 weekly A321
London Luton – Turku eff 02JUL19 3 weekly A320

Other frequency increases:
London Luton – Athens eff 16SEP19 Increase from 7 to 11 weekly
London Luton – Chisinau eff 04APR19 Increase from 9 to 10 weekly
London Luton – Constanta eff 01JUL19 Increase from 4 to 5 weekly
London Luton – Larnaca eff 01JUL19 Increase from 10 to 14 weekly
London Luton – Suceava eff 17SEP19 Increase from 7 to 10 weekly
London Luton – Tirana eff 02JUL19 Increase from 5 to 7 weekly

LGS6753
11th Jan 2019, 19:24
FlyBe has sold its Gatwick slots to Vueling. Does that mean a Vueling move from Luton to south of the river?

Yahoo!®
11th Jan 2019, 21:34
Fingers crossed

Buster the Bear
12th Jan 2019, 11:31
Rumour has it, Luton to India soon with a possible stop on route.

dvc
13th Jan 2019, 12:52
True! Next question then, why did they go for Taxiway Hotel and not Gulf, something else in future planning?
Golf gonna be the current A1 or Alpha extension to 26 threshold

davidjohnson6
13th Jan 2019, 13:01
Rumour has it, Luton to India soon with a possible stop on route.

Buster - would that be IndiGo flying via Turkey by any chance ?

dvc
13th Jan 2019, 13:03
I heard Air India direct. Maybe 787?

LTNman
13th Jan 2019, 13:09
I can't even remember when a new airline came to Luton to start a new scheduled service. Don't think there were any in 2018. Can't see what appeal Luton would have for an airline like Air India so I can't see it happening. More like someone's fantasy if you ask me.

Buster the Bear
13th Jan 2019, 15:37
No idea as to the airline, but rumoured to be happening.

Even less Vueling, as the Amsterdam base is to become Level.

PAXboy
13th Jan 2019, 17:23
Luton Town and the area has a substantial community with origins/family in the sub-continent. Well worth a try.

pabely
13th Jan 2019, 17:35
IndiGo code share with Turkish so not likely

LTNman
13th Jan 2019, 18:19
Luton Town and the area has a substantial community with origins/family in the sub-continent. Well worth a try.

Yes mainly Pakistani and not Indians who I would think don't get on too well with each other if history is anything to go by.

Edit. Just looked up the figures, just 5.23% which is 10,600 people have Indian heritage

gilesdavies
14th Jan 2019, 10:42
Instead of the airport being hell bent on trying to get a route to India launched which is a very specific market and have been trying to do this for years, with the rumour almost cropping up on an annual basis.

I think the airport should try to woah airlines like Qatar Airways and get a route to Doha launched with numerous onward connections to Aylesbury, Australia and Africa.

Looking at the Stansted thread, the new Emirates route seems to be a smash hit, and LTN could promote a Qatar route as an alternative without being in direct competition to anyone else and offering an alternative to the North London/Home Counties market. Also they have the 787-8 which could operate from the airport with ease.

They are already opening up routes at smaller airports like Gothenburg, Thessalonki, Malta, Cardiff and Malaga.

pabely
14th Jan 2019, 12:03
Instead of the airport being hell bent on trying to get a route to India launched which is a very specific market and have been trying to do this for years, with the rumour almost cropping up on an annual basis.

I think the airport should try to woah airlines like Qatar Airways and get a route to Doha launched with numerous onward connections to Aylesbury, Australia and Africa.

Looking at the Stansted thread, the new Emirates route seems to be a smash hit, and LTN could promote a Qatar route as an alternative without being in direct competition to anyone else and offering an alternative to the North London/Home Counties market. Also they have the 787-8 which could operate from the airport with ease.

They are already opening up routes at smaller airports like Gothenburg, Thessalonki, Malta, Cardiff and Malaga.
Perhaps the Aylesbury MP should wade in, like a MP has supporting an Indian route! Seriously though a premium lounge would be required, it was done for Silverjet who might still be around if they could have had Dreamliner, even a 777 which are starting to be scrapped, one arrived at Kemble this weekend! El Al have stopped 787 into Luton because it cannot do the one way system, once the proposed new stands come online that might change.
I think the 321LR will have it's day at some point in Luton, just when. NEO with either engine option is just not up to scratch yet.

Falcon666
14th Jan 2019, 13:37
2018 was London Luton Airport's busiest ever year - London Luton Airport (http://newsroom.london-luton.co.uk/news/2018-was-london-luton-airports-busiest-ever-year-350638?_ga=2.86743960.1677772986.1547244085-408673254.1547244085)

Falcon666
14th Jan 2019, 13:43
El Al have stopped 787 into Luton because it cannot do the one way system, once the proposed new stands come online that might change.
I think the 321LR will have it's day at some point in Luton, just when. NEO with either engine option is just not up to scratch yet.

Don’t think EL AL have ever used the 787 into Luton, think your referring to the 777 but yes it’s prevented from passing the Easy hangar unless under tow.

LTNman
14th Jan 2019, 13:57

What makes you think the airport is targeting an Indian route? It is only random rumours here that keeps the light burning.

El Al have stopped 787 into Luton because it cannot do the one way system, once the proposed new stands come online that might change

Don’t think EL AL have ever used the 787 into Luton, think your referring to the 777 but yes it’s prevented from passing the Easy hangar unless under tow.

I have never ever seen even their 737's use the bridge. All their aircraft use taxiway Delta to arrive and depart with a follow me vehicle leading the way. Remember there are the south stands available if needed for larger aircraft.

The airport has an issue in attracting any new airline to Luton as it seems focused on its existing carriers to provide growth.

Buster the Bear
14th Jan 2019, 17:40
I wonder if Luton airport will offer similar? https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/business/european-employees-at-stansted-paid-to-stay-1-5850873

LTNman
14th Jan 2019, 17:56
A cynical attempt by Stansted to keep wage rates low. I watched an interview with an employer moaning that without his EU workforce he would be forced to increase wage rates to attract more English.

Buster the Bear
14th Jan 2019, 17:59
A cynical attempt by Stansted to keep wage rates low. I watched an interview with an employer moaning that without his EU workforce he would be forced to increase wage rates to attract more English.

Heathrow and Gatwick have pledged to do similar.

_aax1
15th Jan 2019, 19:38

Absoulte rubbish. It’s a good will gesture to show these European workers they make a valuable contribution to the airport, our society and economy.

The truth is, airport pay is good compared to other unskilled jobs in other industries, the issue with Stansted is unemployement in the local area is one of the lowest in the country. Nothing to do with your unsourced, political statement.

Buster the Bear
15th Jan 2019, 20:27
I'm not too sure I agree with airport pay is good. Minimum wage rules. The long hours artificially boost salaries.

LTNman
15th Jan 2019, 21:50
Absoulte rubbish. It’s a good will gesture to show these European workers they make a valuable contribution to the airport, our society and economy.

The truth is, airport pay is good compared to other unskilled jobs in other industries, the issue with Stansted is unemployement in the local area is one of the lowest in the country. Nothing to do with your unsourced, political statement.

What are you on, as you haven’t got a clue. Suggest you visit the airport’s annual job fair. I have been to it for the last 2 years to have a look around and I can tell you zero hour contracts or 10 to 20 hour contracts, if you are lucky, are the name of the game at Luton. People take the work in the hope that they will be offered extra hours but the staff turnover rates are massive and next to no company seems to pay the living wage when I visited but there are always new workers looking for jobs.

My son worked at the airport for 6 months and would be called in for 3 or 4 hour shifts or not at all. This was based on a 24/7 pattern but was an 18 hour contract although he was usually offered more hours but not always.

As for unskilled what do you call unskilled? Anyone working on the apron has a level of skill in my eyes. How about a dispatcher, are they unskilled? My airside driving pass and even airport pass involved exams and study, then there was job training which also involved examinations.

HundredPercentPlease
16th Jan 2019, 07:31
The truth is, airport pay is good ..
Menzies are offering 20 hour contracts. £8,582 a year. The bottom end of the rental market in Luton is £6,000 a year. You cannot describe that pay as "good".
Curiously, Menzies are offering the same job in Prague, but it is full time and €23,000.

I have heard the excuse "unemployment is really low in XXX" in practically every airport in the UK (by exploitative managers).

SWBKCB
16th Jan 2019, 07:41
Stansted, which currently employs around 200 people born in EU countries within its workforce of 2,000 colleagues at the airport

Quote from the Ipswich Star story - is that 200 number realistic, I'm surprised it's that low?

bycrewlgw
16th Jan 2019, 08:06
Quote from the Ipswich Star story - is that 200 number realistic, I'm surprised it's that low?

probably doesn’t include those working for third parties such as the handling agents food outlets etc. Just the core business

LTNman
16th Jan 2019, 12:31
With careful examination, this picture, which was taken last week, shows the steelwork for the multistory just sitting below the taxiway so maintaining visibility from the control tower. Behind the taxiway can be seen Taxiway Foxtrot and the de-icing pads under construction.
https://i.imgur.com/vdbe8nq.jpg
LLA

https://i.imgur.com/CekSSG0.jpg

This photo shows clearly the slope of the access route into the first floor of the multistory from the roadway. With the southern core now complete I have noted that both cores will have 4 floors. In the planning application drawings the southern core had only 3 floors while the northern core had 4
https://i.imgur.com/T7RuRzl.jpg

Photo taken in the rain today shows the 26 threshold. This is one of the areas that will receive soil from the DART construction. The other major area is to the right of the fire training ground. It is by this area the airport wants to build a further apron. The photo was taken from where LLAL want to build a second terminal.
https://i.imgur.com/krNyhmZ.jpg

When the DART leaves Parkway it will travel on columns to where the left hand digger is. The digger marks the point of the bridge that will cross the A1081 and Airport slip road. Behind the digger is the airport boundary on the other side of the road. As can be seen work has started on the foundations of the support columns.
https://i.imgur.com/OpBT5qk.jpg

southside bobby
16th Jan 2019, 16:21
As mentioned by B the B the Vueling base at AMS has now been officially announced as being taken over by Level from the spring...

Will the LTN service continue as Level?

compton3bravo
16th Jan 2019, 16:55
At the moment you can book Florence and Amsterdam according to the Vueling website. Both services operated by Vueling aircraft. Florence twice weekly and Amsterdam twice daily.

LTNman
16th Jan 2019, 17:06
Gives Luton a bit of variety but they never seemed that committed to Luton. Don’t think the airport will be bothered as they focus just on the big three for growth.

Buster the Bear
16th Jan 2019, 19:35
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-economy/2620551-wizz-air-stops-selling-tickets-for-kharkivlondon-flights-due-to-low-demand.html

LTNman
17th Jan 2019, 04:47
Key facts and figures:

Contractor: Doppelmayr Cable Car UK Limited
System type: Cable Liner Double Shuttle
Line: 2 independent tracks, each covering a length of 1,955m
Number of trains: 2 trains, each consisting of 4 cars
Capacity per train: 170 passengers
Transport capacity: 2,720 passengers per hour and direction
Installation to commence in autumn 2019
Public service from April 2021
Operating agreement for 5 years + option of another 5 years
With each carriage having a strange average of 42.5 passengers they must be somewhat short to allow for tight turns. I also wonder how many seats will be provided for those 170 passengers? The video seems to show a few inward facing seats per carriage.

https://youtu.be/Zjf4E15nsPY

22/04
17th Jan 2019, 05:39
Seating on short railway journeys in now considered to be at a premium, with standee space very important- just look at the trains now running on Thameslink - so not many seats. TBH those who can probably prefer to stand over their luggage on this type of journey ( some may sit on it!) and seating will be intended for those who can't stand.

This is a big leap forward for LTN though and something it should have had 30 years ago.

gilesdavies
17th Jan 2019, 12:03
I'm curious what the charge will be to use this service...

Unlike the current bus service that is run by Thameslink, as part of their franchise, they will probably be regulated by the government to what they can charge for the bus service... However it appears LLAOL will be running the new train service themselves up to airport.

Based on all the other charges LTN imposes, I can't imagine this will be a free service, like at Gatwick with the link from the railway station to the North Terminal. I think it will be a safe bet it will be more than the current bus service, and be interesting to see if there is a charge, if they will allow it to be included in train tickets or if everyone will have to buy a separate ticket to board the service.

Seating on short railway journeys in now considered to be at a premium.
There will probably be an additional charge to get a seat! :}

PAXboy
17th Jan 2019, 15:04
On the Dart, how long is the running time expected to be?

Falcon666
17th Jan 2019, 15:14
On the Dart, how long is the running time expected to be?

Under 4 minutes Station to Station.

Buster the Bear
17th Jan 2019, 19:15
DART project is a massive financial gamble and being financed by eye-watering loan amounts by Luton Borough Council.

Spanish eyes
17th Jan 2019, 19:38
Article here that asks some searching questions about the finances of the DART like the fact that it will take over 118 million journeys just to cover the cost without interest payments and operating costs and the fact that only 2.82 million passengers are predicted to use it each year.

https://stoplae.org/the-dart-link-luton-council-paying-225-million/

Falcon666
17th Jan 2019, 21:51
Article here that asks some searching questions about the finances of the DART like the fact that it will take over 118 million journeys just to cover the cost without interest payments and operating costs and the fact that only 2.82 million passengers are predicted to use it each year.

https://stoplae.org/the-dart-link-luton-council-paying-225-million/

You could say it’s a bit of a gamble but that link is obviously biased to stop expansion.2.82 Million passengers currently travel by train, that’s not a future prediction.The Airport obviously want that figure to increase significantly once the DART is operational.
Where is the evidence that travel by car would increase by 75% with a second termina?l .The highways agency are yet to produce their feedback to the Council on the proposed road to Century Park.( due in February) If ,and its a big if the airport actually succeeds in getting more direct, faster links to London from Parkway then The DART should be successful.

Payback time— who knows but the council should have done their homework on that , is it a vanity project, some may say yes but the airport does need it.
I’ve been stuck in summer at Parkway trying to get a bus to the terminal, stuck in traffic for 30 mins, it isn’t fun so the Dart will be a godsend once it’s up and running and I will use the train more often for sure.

Apart from that it’s adding value to the council if they ever wanted to sell the airport in the future- just playing devils advocate!,

Spanish eyes
18th Jan 2019, 04:40
No doubt from the passenger point of view it is urgently needed but from the council tax payers point of view it is a different story. The figure of 2.82 million passengers is based not on the current passenger figure but at the present maximum permitted cap of 18 million passengers if I have done my calculations correctly.

It would be easy for the protesters to claim that by doubling passenger numbers car journeys would also double but they appear to have done their research. The airport wants to increase the percentage of passengers arriving by train to 36% based on the fact that Gatwick has that figure. If they indeed reach that figure that would mean an additional 75% of car journeys based on a new total of 38 million passengers again based on simple maths.

It remains to be seen if that figure of 36% is every reached but while the dart journey might take 4 minutes passengers buying a second ticket to complete their journey to the terminal will take considerably longer. At the moment through tickets can be bought but many passengers buy tickets to Parkway and not the airport.

The airport is still claiming total journey times to London of under 30 minutes but they did not get their wish of 4 non-stop trains an hour. In fact the hourly service was cut back to remove peak hour trains, which will also impact on passenger numbers arriving by train.

LTNman
18th Jan 2019, 05:23
The company that is putting in the trains together with the cables and winches has unsurprisingly won a 5 year contract with an additional potential 5 year extension to maintain it. Reading between the lines (no pun intended) during the off peak I think only one train will run, which will allow maintenance down time. Also there is no track switching or provision of spare rolling stock so if there was a cable fault on one track and a train fault on the other there would be no service. Looking at how many times the simple lifts break down in the multi-storey no doubt this will be happening. Basically a lift is a Dart but just operates up and down on a short track.

compton3bravo
18th Jan 2019, 08:36
Wizz to increase flights to Timisoara from seven to twelve weekly from September but on the debit side the twice weekly service to Kharkov is to cease in February as mentioned earlier due to low demand.

Alloy
18th Jan 2019, 08:43
LTNman, I suspect the cable is a continuous loop and thus the two separate train units are not independent of each other? If so then if one breaks then they are surely both out of action? Dopplmeyer is, as I understand it, primarily a ski lift company. I suspect one ‘train’ is assisted on it’s ascent (terminal bound) up the hill by the gravity of the descending (Parkway station bound) cabled ‘train.’ This is a system that Dopplmeyer uses frequently with various funicular railways throughout the world, indeed I suspect many would call this DART project a funicular rather than a train?

Falcon666
18th Jan 2019, 09:02
Spanish eyes
You are correct , I am viewing this from a Passenger perspective.
You can’t blame Luton Council for lack of ambition, they obviously see the Airport, quite rightly as its biggest Asset.
They are doing nothing different to say MAG at STN , Stobart at SEN or Ontario Pensions at BHX in reinvesting in that Asset.
(The difference being where the profits go)

LTNman
At least the company providing the rolling stock is Doppelmayr , decades of experience operating equipment in hostile, sub zero temperatures— should be fine.

22/04
18th Jan 2019, 10:32
I would hope that more will use the train once it's there. Importantly it would make sense to shift drop off out of the central area to Parkway and the DART but I don't suppose there is provision for this in the hurried belated plan.

LTNman
18th Jan 2019, 13:06
LTNman, I suspect the cable is a continuous loop and thus the two separate train units are not independent of each other? If so then if one breaks then they are surely both out of action? Dopplmeyer is, as I understand it, primarily a ski lift company. I suspect one ‘train’ is assisted on it’s ascent (terminal bound) up the hill by the gravity of the descending (Parkway station bound) cabled ‘train.’ This is a system that Dopplmeyer uses frequently with various funicular railways throughout the world, indeed I suspect many would call this DART project a funicular rather than a train?

I hear what you say but there is a proposal to add a station in the mid term car park. If the DART stopped to pick up passengers it would stop the other DART mid station.

davidjohnson6
18th Jan 2019, 13:57
Luton-Kharkiv must be selling really badly... if you have Wizz's discount club membership then for next week and the week after you can buy a oneway ticket for a 3h45m flight for £9 or (after UK APD, never mind airport fees) Wizz are providing a subsidy

Buster the Bear
18th Jan 2019, 15:31
In my opinion it is not for a Borough Council to be investing £250m+ in a rail link.

Buster the Bear
18th Jan 2019, 15:38
https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/01/18/indigo-shelves-european-plans/

LTNman
21st Jan 2019, 06:15
This is an an operational example of what Luton is getting from the company providing the actual DART. Also the rolling stock seems to be identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHBRvcJtifM

22/04
21st Jan 2019, 13:43
Seems ideal to me. Does anyone know what the maximum gradient on the DART is- if it significant this is ideal as it overcomes the need for powerful electric motors on the trains which can be very very light as a result.

LTNman
21st Jan 2019, 16:54
The rise is hight is 44m in a 2.2km journey although that is no reflection of the maximum gradients as some of the route will be on the flat. Seems more than that to me but that is what it says

cj241101
21st Jan 2019, 18:24
Correct me if I'm wrong but from earlier posts it appears the trains are unpowered. The cable underneath provides the traction, towing the trains like a funicular railway. So no more "leaves on the line", "wrong type of snow" etc.

LTNman
21st Jan 2019, 18:42
No traction power as it is cable hauled but it must pick up a power supply for lighting and announcements.

Buster the Bear
21st Jan 2019, 19:14
No traction power as it is cable hauled but it must pick up a power supply for lighting and announcements.

Hopefully LBC have ticked those option boxes?

Falcon666
21st Jan 2019, 20:15
Cable Liner (http://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/10594357)

Fair amount of information online for the Cable Liner.
Main points are each track is independent and if it fails mid route it gets pulled back to the station so no getting off midway and walking
Seems a nice bit of kit and should be reliable.

LTNman
22nd Jan 2019, 02:16
While the road is about to be temporarily diverted so the Dart cut and cover tunnel can be dug out there are no signs yet for the same to happen to the taxiway. When the exiting road was put in way back in 1999 it was a massive job as the taxiway had to be moved out of the way and then put back. Still wondering if they might tunnel under the taxiway.

The M1 bound A1081 has been reduced to a single lane for the Dart Gateway bridge work which is causing tailbacks from the airport. The road will remain a single lane for around a year.

The opening date for the Dart is the Autumn of 2021, which hasn’t changed despite the project starting 6 months late. As most airport projects overrun I am thinking it was open in 2022.

22/04
22nd Jan 2019, 07:54
Could taxiway alpha be closed completely with all traffic routed via echo which wasn't there in 1997?

cj241101
22nd Jan 2019, 08:42
Aircraft above a certain size are not allowed to taxi under their own power along Echo and have to be towed. Hence the Tui 757's departing from outside the hangar always route via Bravo (Alpha became Bravo between the main apron and the intersection when the Bravo extension opened, end of 2017 IIRC). Not sure if the 787 would be permitted even under tow. Wouldn't affect 738/A319/A320/A321 as far as I am aware (i.e. 99% of commercial traffic).
Aerodrome chart here:-
http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-ADA9F49CD16855A07E89D49E4BBB0CED/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGGW_2-2_en_2018-08-16.pdf

dvc
22nd Jan 2019, 08:55
Aircraft above a certain size are not allowed to taxi under their own power along Echo and have to be towed. Hence the Tui 757's departing from outside the hangar always route via Bravo (Alpha became Bravo between the main apron and the intersection when the Bravo extension opened, end of 2017 IIRC). Not sure if the 787 would be permitted even under tow. Wouldn't affect 738/A319/A320/A321 as far as I am aware (i.e. 99% of commercial traffic).
No. Would hit signature building, if there were no aircraft on main apron ;-). Even going the other way has to be escorted past easyjet hangar. I think because of less than 4.5m wingtip clearance.

Falcon666
22nd Jan 2019, 10:06
EGGW LONDON LUTON A0077/19 - TWY BRAVO DOWNGRADED TO CODE D ACFT TAXILANE BTN B7 AND B8 DUE
WIP. FOLLOW ME AVAILABLE IN INCLEMENT WEATHER. 10 JAN 18:00 2019 UNTIL 31 MAR
06:00 2019. CREATED: 10 JAN 17:59 2019

This NOTAM is current for that section

LTNman
22nd Jan 2019, 11:31
No that wont happen as it would cause an aircraft traffic jam. It's bad enough with the 8 stand eastern apron, which only has one exit/entrance. Echo was put in to allow two way traffic onto the main apron.

davidjohnson6
23rd Jan 2019, 23:38
On Tuesday 22 Jan, there was snow in Hertfordshire - and (being on top of a hill) presumably also at Luton airport. Oddly enough FR24 shows relatively few delays/cancellations despite Luton in the past tending to succumb to snow more often than other London airports.

Was the snow a rather brief dusting, or has Luton become more robust recently to winter weather ?

LTNman
24th Jan 2019, 05:22
More than a dusting but nothing compared to what I saw in photos of Watford. I guess Luton just caught the edge of the snow shower.

Buster the Bear
24th Jan 2019, 17:12
https://londonlovesbusiness.com/privatefly-launches-affordable-private-jet-flights-to-the-slopes/

LTNman
24th Jan 2019, 17:26
Looking at Google Earth shows the remains of the then Taxiway Alpha when it had to be moved south and then north before being put back along its present position for tunnel work.
https://i.imgur.com/6S0pZYG.jpg

This 1998 photo shows the southern taxiway position in use with the northern part started for completion at a later date before being moved back into the middle.
https://i.imgur.com/PSNkba4.jpg

They must be planning night time closures for what must be 3 moves of the taxiway as the cut and cover Dart tunnel is put in.

Falcon666
24th Jan 2019, 22:19
Tarom

Looks like Tarom are leaving LTN at the end of January.
Can anybody confirm as nothing seems bookable from Feb onwards?

compton3bravo
25th Jan 2019, 08:52
Not really surprised really but still a shame. Three different airlines flying to Iasi from Luton, something had to give.

LTNman
26th Jan 2019, 05:26
I have pointed this out before but for a long time no new airline has started services into or out of Luton. So when and which airline was it? Don’t think there was a single one in 2018 and I am struggling to remember any in 2017. I am thinking that with the airport capped to 18 million by its planning permission the airport is reserving spare capacity for its existing airlines by not offering discounts.. If that is not the case clearly Luton’s finished terminal has not impressed any new carriers except in places the terminal isn’t finished and it seems the builders have gone home.

In the check-in area the airline help desks are still in temporary structures while the space behind them remains empty. The outsize baggage area sits behind temporary hoardings with green netting sitting above it.

Airside in arrivals isn’t finish with hoardings still in place and the same applies to the landslide arrivals waiting area. Add to that the missing ceiling and for those who notice these things the terminal is still not finished.

Also has anyone else noticed the rubbish Saturday train service, which still hasn’t recovered from the May 2018 timetable changes. Only 2 trains an hour now run through London from Parkway, the Sunday service, which is still bad with bunched up trains and then long gaps, actually has more trains. If a train is now cancelled passengers are now having to wait up to an hour for the next one. It used to be the case that I never needed to look at a timetable, as it was never more than a 15 minute wait. If I used a slow train, trains would run what seemed like every few minutes at the weekends but that has now all changed.

With more passengers using the airport, passenger numbers arriving by train is actually dropping.