PDA

View Full Version : Luton-9

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

compton3bravo
4th Oct 2018, 11:37
Same with Blueair and Alitalia. More full service airlines LTNman!

southside bobby
4th Oct 2018, 18:16
Being reported HMRC has drawn up plans for a possible winding up petition against MAEL.

Buster the Bear
4th Oct 2018, 19:15
https://news.sky.com/story/monarch-engineers-scramble-for-rescue-amid-winding-up-threat-11517427

LTNman
5th Oct 2018, 10:44
The first part of the bus station shelter has opened that is fronting the terminal. The section opened is serving the A1 and A2 National Express services to Victoria and Paddington. The double-decker high capacity services were withdrawn soon after launch due it issues with luggage capacity. As can be seen the service together with the Greenline 757 route is very popular. Work on the shelters might be finished by the end of the year.
https://i.imgur.com/sLKpw73.jpg

The South Stands have been marked up in blue paint for 3 deicing pads. The stands are marked up as P1, P2 and P3
https://i.imgur.com/Yi3J2WR.jpg

Work has just started on digging out part of the station. Many more piles are needed and the footpath to the drop off zone is soon to be moved to allow more piling to take place.
https://i.imgur.com/IMbk3I5.jpg

The central reservation has been tarmacked over and the traffic island filled in to allow a diversion of the road for the construction of the cut and cover tunnel. As can also be seen the new passenger route to the drop off zone that has yet to open and will involve an even longer walk.
https://i.imgur.com/R4t0wvb.jpg

The foundations to the second multistory are being exposed with work on the station seen in the background and work on Taxiway Foxtrot seen in the distance.
https://i.imgur.com/6C0ChWo.jpg

All passengers have to keep to the left while the levels are altered to the right.
https://i.imgur.com/FIQbr6n.jpg

gilesdavies
5th Oct 2018, 16:54
The South Stands have been marked up in blue paint for 3 deicing pads. The stands are marked up as P1, P2 and P3
https://i.imgur.com/Yi3J2WR.jpg

So does that mean these stands are not in use by based aircraft overnight?
Im a bit confused, as when people keep mentioning there are no free stands at the airport for based overnight aircraft, I thought this included these remote stands?

forest
5th Oct 2018, 17:41
i expect the a/c on the south apron will be scheduled to depart first, getting deiced on stand as IDS will be there, thus freeing up the 3 pads for the morning.
Or deicing pads will be used as and when they become available at any point in the morning.

LTNman
5th Oct 2018, 17:41
As per last year they are still used but can only be used for deicing once the stands are vacated for the day. Makes sense to make sure these stands are used for 6am departures but that is not always the case. Also in the winter months when there are less departures these stands are often used for long term parking. Maybe the parked aircraft get moved when ice is forecast to other stands.

FRatSTN
6th Oct 2018, 12:39
TUI have made some changes for Summer 2019.

Hurghada, Kefalonia and Naples all cancelled. Palma late Tuesday flight during peak summer cancelled.

Faro reduces to one flight per week - Thursday service cancelled.

Heraklion moves to Thursday afternoon departure.

Enfidha and all Palma and Tenerife services now on TUI Airways' own aircraft - Only third party operator remaining is Saturday evening to Dalaman, but still showing as "TBA".

2x based aircraft required except Thursday afternoon still requires 3x based - Only 1x departure Wednesday afternoons (though believe that was the case this summer).

southside bobby
6th Oct 2018, 13:28
Possible partial Jet2 effect ?.

compton3bravo
6th Oct 2018, 14:28
More like easy me thinks. Who in their right minds wants to go to Egypt in the summer? Regarding Egypt went their once (cruise) glad I went but never again, worst country I have ever being too (Jordan next door fantastic), just my opinion though.

boeing_eng
6th Oct 2018, 14:51
Ref the TUI program for next Summer - I'd expect further changes depending on demand to places like PMI & IBZ during the peak school holiday period

LTNman
6th Oct 2018, 21:51
Yet when I have traveled TUI from Luton the aircraft have always seemed full.

Changing the subject I don't understand this part of a NOTAMA3151/18 NOTAMN Q) EGTT/QFALC/IV/NBO/A /000/999/5152N00022W005 A) EGGW B) 1811100001 C) 1811180530 D) SAT SUN 0001-0530 E) AIRFIELD CLOSED TO ALL AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS DUE WIP

The notam is dated November 1st to the 18th but also mentions the airport is closed from 00:01 to 05:30 on Saturdays and Sundays. So is this a 4 night closure or 18 night closure?

Falcon666
6th Oct 2018, 22:22
Yet when I have traveled TUI from Luton the aircraft have always seemed full.

Changing the subject I don't understand this part of a NOTAM

The notam is dated November 1st to the 18th but also mentions the airport is closed from 00:01 to 05:30 on Saturdays and Sundays. So is this a 4 night closure or 18 night closure?

My understanding is it's four nights 10/11/17 and18th
There is also a NOTAM out for taxiway Echo closure between E1 and E2 8/10-18/10.
Is this for the repairs discussed a while back regarding the breaking up/ sinking due to drainage.
They will be using a follow me during the day.

Sunexpress have started to load S19 on their website.Looks like at least a couple of routes, Antalya and Bodrum will go full season Early May- End Oct .

FRatSTN
6th Oct 2018, 23:11
I recall a while back the runway was due to be redesignated this year to 07/25. Should only take one night to transition but could this be the time to do it?

southside bobby
7th Oct 2018, 07:02
One time prospective Waterford-LTN operator Aer Southeast`s parent company has recently been "dissolved" reports state.

Lee Baker Street
8th Oct 2018, 16:16
During the last couple of days there has been plenty of activity at Parkway station which suggests the build has fully started.

racedo
8th Oct 2018, 17:51
The DART project will be just like all the other projects and will be finished late. Seems to be a Luton thing that for the first year not much happens and only late in the day do the builds get an influx of manpower.

I took a wonder around the terminal departure lounge and arrivals last week. Still a huge amount of outstanding work particularly in arrivals. Seem’s to be running at least 18 months late on what was meant to be a 3 year build. I would doubt it will be finished this year.

The airport hasn’t been able to let all of its new retail units out. Also the high end shops all have one thing in common and that is they lack passengers, in fact they were all empty for the time I spent watching.

Food outlets seem to do quite well if in the right location. A new one has opened which has access to an outside area but it is located on the route to pier A and was completely empty while just metres away other food outlets were really busy.

Used arrivals there recently when coming with some friends with one on a replacement emergency passport as lost of when we away.
It took us 15-20 mins in autopassport check, went to pick up car and returned, eventually he came through after 90 minutes.................... flight we came in on took 75 mins.

wallp
8th Oct 2018, 18:25
One time prospective Waterford-LTN operator Aer Southeast`s parent company has recently been "dissolved" reports state.

Can't think of another likely operator for the route. That's probably the end for WAT-LTN which is a shame, it once did well

compton3bravo
8th Oct 2018, 19:50
We can all thank Stobart for mucking that up and look where it got them.

LTNman
8th Oct 2018, 21:43
From the 17th sheet piles will be vibrated into the ground during the day for the terminal station. This will last 6 weeks. During November this work will take place overnight as the work nears the taxiway which will have to be closed. Not sure if this is Delta or Bravo

Spanish eyes
9th Oct 2018, 17:19
Taxiway Bravo will be closing overnight

Buster the Bear
10th Oct 2018, 19:45
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2018-10-09/london-airport-fbos-rue-challenge-posed-night-ban?utm_source=alerts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-10-10&eid=407526027&bid=2266206

LGS6753
11th Oct 2018, 09:12
Not all of their programme for S19 is yet on their website, but so far it shows:
XQ530/1 from/to Antalya on Friday & Monday a1140 d1240 from 3rd May to 28th October
XQ632/3 from/to Bodrum on Sunday & Tuesday a2325 d1415 from 9th June to 20th October (but showing sold out)

Buster the Bear
11th Oct 2018, 10:23
Was a Daily service to Athens announced when Ryanair went public about the additional 2 based airframes?

https://www.argophilia.com/news/ryanair-to-launch-21-new-greece-routes-for-2019/221511/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Argophilia+%28Argophilia+Travel+News%29

robbie1973
11th Oct 2018, 12:44
Checking their website it looks like it does daily from 01/04/19

Was a Daily service to Athens announced when Ryanair went public about the additional 2 based airframes?

https://www.argophilia.com/news/ryanair-to-launch-21-new-greece-routes-for-2019/221511/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Argophilia+%28Argophilia+Travel+News%29

LTNman
11th Oct 2018, 20:03
https://lutonbcouncil-newsroom.prgloo.com/news/piling-works-to-begin-on-the-luton-dart

Piling works to begin on the Luton DART

Residents and nearby businesses are advised that two phases of essential sheet piling works are due to begin shortly on the pioneering £225m Luton DART fast transit project.

The Luton DART will be an automated 2.1km system, seamlessly linking London Luton Airport with Luton Airport Parkway mainline station in well under four minutes, and is due to open in 2021.The first phase of the piling works will begin on Wednesday 17 October, next to the main airport terminal, for six weeks. Operational hours will be restricted to daytimes, Monday to Friday, from 7.30am to 6pm.

Passengers using the airport’s drop-off zone will experience intermittent construction noise on their route to the terminal while these works progress. Some background noise could be experienced by residents within 750m of the terminal but this will be contained and in line with the tightly-controlled planning conditions.

The second phase of piling will be very close to the airport’s taxiway, and therefore will have to be done at night for operational and safety reasons. To reduce any noise impact, a number of measures have been adopted – including a quieter method of vibrating the panels into place. The noise experienced by residents within 750m will be minimal as a result, and well within the planning conditions.

This work will begin on 29 October for six weeks, and will initially take place from Monday to Friday evenings, from 10pm until 5.30am, intermittently throughout the night. Additional night-time piling activity will also take place over the weekends of 9/10 and 16/17 November to take advantage of an airport closure.

A senior representative of lead contractor VolkerFitzpatrick-Kier will be on-site during all night-time piling in order to supervise the works. Constant noise monitoring will take place throughout the period and a manned 24-hour helpline has been released for residents to contact in the event that there is any disturbance that needs to be reported.

Cllr Andy Malcolm, chair of London Luton Airport Ltd (LLAL), Luton Council's airport company, said: “The Luton DART is a very exciting scheme which will provide a step-change in rail access to London Luton Airport, and is delivering significant local business opportunities during construction.

“We appreciate that night working will not be ideal for residents and we are therefore doing everything possible to complete the programme as quietly and as quickly possible to minimise any disruption caused. For this reason it has been decided that we will vibrate the sheet piles into the ground, rather than ‘hammering’ them, which we anticipate will significantly reduce the impacts which may be experienced.

“I would like to thank residents in advance for their patience and understanding during this period of works.”

The project forms part of Luton’s £1.5 billion Investment Framework to transform the town and secure long-term economic growth, and in early 2018 the Council’s airport company London Luton Airport Ltd (LLAL) awarded contracts for the civil engineering works to a VolkerFitzpatrick-Kier (VFK) joint venture to design and construct two stations, a gateway bridge, viaduct and tunnels.

Additional excavation and service diversion works will take place on the nights of 9 & 10 November and 16 & 17 November, however it is not expected that there will be any noise disruption from these activities.

LLAL is writing to around 1,000 addresses within 750m of the works and anyone with further questions may contact:

• The Luton DART Stakeholder Manager Jon Deas, email [email protected]
• The dedicated Luton DART helpline, 07384 799322

NABLAG
12th Oct 2018, 08:46

We can all thank Stobart for mucking that up and look where it got them.

Don't give up on Luton/Waterford just yet, Waterford has plans to extend and widen the runway for B737/A320 operations and I would imagine Luton would be a key route.

baileygates
12th Oct 2018, 14:46
What is it with the obsession of a Luton to Waterford route? if airlines couldn't fill a small turboprop on the route, or fill it with people paying the fare to cover the cost of operating - why would it be sustainable using larger aircraft?

LTNman
12th Oct 2018, 16:46
Waterford Luton was a successful route until Stobart got hold of it and killed the London business by moving it to Southend when Southend was still using its old terminal.

22/04
12th Oct 2018, 17:33
Surface connections Waterford to Dublin have improved though I think since that era.

LGS6753
12th Oct 2018, 17:38
...but with each year the propensity to fly increases (aviation is a growing industry), so previously marginal routes may become viable, all other things being equal.

baileygates
12th Oct 2018, 18:24
It is true, but that is equally applicable to other routes as well - airlines will go for where they can make the most money, and especially as capacity is so restricted at LTN in the morning and evening (who would set up an aircraft base in Waterford just to operate a LTN route?). Like has been said - Dublin is now so much easier to get to, is it time to accept Waterford will not be a viable route?

Lee Baker Street
13th Oct 2018, 07:21
144,000 pax was the peak at Waterford with its very short runway! If the runway is extended to that quoted then it will be longer than Luton. However the LTN service proved to be successful, so I personally would welcome the re-development and the route being re-instated.

Lee Baker Street
14th Oct 2018, 19:31
1,543,374 pax passed through LTN in September which represents 3.95% growth compared to September 2017. With 15 new routes and 1 route to resume before the year end, October through to end of December this year will prove substantial growth each month.

The only thing that can hold back substantial growth in the short term is the lack of a/c aprons.

LTNman
14th Oct 2018, 19:48
Also lack of terminal capacity comes to mind although Japan might have the answer. Luton just needs to remove some of those pesky seating areas.
https://i.imgur.com/PYH2G7B.jpg

Buster the Bear
15th Oct 2018, 17:37
The price of a barrel of oil is slowly rising which will expose marginal routes.

pabely
15th Oct 2018, 18:05
Is it true that one will not be in place next year, just more restrictions on noisier types above QC1 ?

LTNman
15th Oct 2018, 19:39
It was every summer until further notice but Signature does state that indeed for summer 2019 it is only QC1 that will be affected although ainonline.com have just reported that the restrictions will indeed remain next year so take your pick.

Spanish eyes
17th Oct 2018, 19:35
So next year the airport will apply for planning permission for a terminal that could handle around 20 million passengers but what sort of terminal should it be? More of the same with no airbridges and what many would rate as basic facilities in a low rent terminal or a more upmarket affair for trying to attract a better class of passenger.

There is an argument that Luton has only done well on the back of cheap Eastern European migrants and their visiting families but growth in that market must be close to saturation and the fact that Brexit was a vote to control migration so where is a future market going to come from when Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted all have plans to cream off passengers.

Luton's market is niche based on a shortish runway so long haul will always be problematic with many types of aircraft. The Brits only have so much money to spend so growth would have to come from outside the UK from new markets.

Agree or disagree?

Buster the Bear
17th Oct 2018, 22:21
Neo and MAX open possibilities of reaching far off destinations. People use planes, like they do buses and trains. New markets will open, but growth in my opinion depends upon one thing, the price of aviation fuel. Should a town the size of Luton be borrowing staggering figures (debt) on a gamble?

LTNman
18th Oct 2018, 05:21
Buster has hit the nail on the head and is asking a question that everyone is ignoring. LLAL is already borrowing £225m for the DART. A DART extension plus basically a new airport linked to the existing runway will cost at least a £1bn. This is not a large PLC borrowing the money and taking a risk but a local council in the expectation that they will fill the new terminal. If the project fails they will leave the people of Luton with a bankrupt council.

davidjohnson6
18th Oct 2018, 05:33
Do the lenders of the money have recourse to either the council or the company which owns the airport in the event of default ? I imagine there is something on this theme to avoid an astronomical interest rate, but just how big a claim could local residents face if it all goes a bit wrong ?

Does Westminster have powers to limit the borrowings by a council ? After Northampton, presumably there will be a level of caution in the corridors of power - if bankruptcy occurs, Westminster would have to pick up (some of) the pieces rather than seeing uncollected rubbish pile up in the streets

LGS6753
18th Oct 2018, 07:30
Local government borrowing is guaranteed by central government, and is therefore at very low rates of interest.

LTNman
18th Oct 2018, 07:52
I would guess if LLAL/ Luton Council defaulted on the loans they would have to sell assets which would mean selling the airport. Also estimated costs will no doubt rise as when first announced the existing redevelopment work was costed at £100m. The latest figure I have seen is now £160m with a nearly 2 year overrun on the terminal project.

There is no doubt that the council is gambling on getting the numbers but if it all goes wrong those making the decisions today will be long gone with the new councilors saying it was nothing to do with them.

LTNman
18th Oct 2018, 07:53
Local government borrowing is guaranteed by central government, and is therefore at very low rates of interest.

Looking at some of the loans LLAL has taken out they are paying up to 12% interest.

Lee Baker Street
18th Oct 2018, 10:53
Buster has hit the nail on the head and is asking a question that everyone is ignoring. LLAL is already borrowing £225m for the DART. A DART extension plus basically a new airport linked to the existing runway will cost at least a £1bn. This is not a large PLC borrowing the money and taking a risk but a local council in the expectation that they will fill the new terminal. If the project fails they will leave the people of Luton with a bankrupt council.

I do not pretend to know how company finance works but LBC have assets last audited on 31st March 2018 and declared as being £1.341 Billion. Further more I do not see LBC taking a gamble (as implied) but simply investing in Lutons future. If LLAO built six extra remote stands overnight then those stands would be in regular use in a very short time.

Falcon666
18th Oct 2018, 11:43
Vueling

After not being bookable for months now, the 2x daily AMS is back in the booking engine for S19.
Nothing yet for Florence

Sunexpress

All five routes served this summer are now loaded on their website for S19

BlueA330
18th Oct 2018, 17:40
AMS never stopped though

Falcon666
18th Oct 2018, 18:10
AMS never stopped though
True , but it wasn't bookable after the end of March 19 when all their other routes were (in the last six months)
That made it look like it was stopping at the end of W18/19

Only now has it become bookable past March

Buster the Bear
18th Oct 2018, 18:36
I do not pretend to know how company finance works but LBC have assets last audited on 31st March 2018 and declared as being £1.341 Billion. Further more I do not see LBC taking a gamble (as implied) but simply investing in Lutons future. If LLAO built six extra remote stands overnight then those stands would be in regular use in a very short time.

The town of Luton has a population of around 220,000. Investing £600m in an airport is going to take an awfully long time to recoup that debt. LBC was once getting £1.43 per passenger, but I understand that is no longer the case? Even so, after interest has been added, those making the decisions today, will be long dead before that debt is repaid. Even my crystal ball cannot see that far into the future! The world of aviation will certainly have moved on by then. I stand by my words, 'a huge gamble'. Should there be a downturn in aviation, history says that it is likely to happen, will those residents then lose out with local council funding being squeezed to make the debt payments?

If it was an airport operator borrowing the money for a project of this size, no one would blink, but the town the size of Luton saddling each of those 220,000 residents with an equivalent £2.75m debt, utter madness! What extra benefit are the towns folk actually going to get, it will not be money into the town hall coffers to spend on the town? No, with that size of debt the only benefits to local residents are increased traffic, noise and pollution. Oh any bye the way, I do not live anywhere close to the airport, but if I did, I'd be branching out as an independent at the local council elections!

LGS6753
18th Oct 2018, 20:51
Buster - the debt per head of population is £2,750, not £2.75m

LTNman - interest rates depend on when the loans were taken out. If you remember, interest rates were at 15% in the early 90s, 6% in the mid-noughties and at their current levels only since about 2010.

LTNman
19th Oct 2018, 07:32
Buster - the debt per head of population is £2,750, not £2.75m

Add the cost of the borrowings for the dart at £225m and a more realistic price tag of around £1bn for a new airport attached to the existing runway and the money borrowed works out close to £17,000 per household.

jamessh
19th Oct 2018, 14:53
Hi all,

This might be a bit off the topic but I was just wondering,

- What ever happened to the private terminal when Silverjet went under. Is it empty? If it is occupied who is doing what?

- While very unlikely if another premium airline ever came knocking where do you think would be the best place to set up a similar operation to the Silverjet terminal. By this I mean empty space (not anywhere that would require a new building.)

obviously never going to happen, just thought it would be interesting to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

james

toledoashley
19th Oct 2018, 15:38
Wasn’t the SilverJet terminal converted to the temporary arrivals.

LGS6753
23rd Oct 2018, 16:26
Sun Express S19:

Mon D0025 Izmir XQ885 1006-2110
Mon A1140 Antalya XQ530 0605-2810
Mon D1240 Antalya XQ531 0605-2810
Tue A1315 Izmir XQ884 1106-2409
Tue D1415 Bodrum XQ885 1106-2409
Tue A2325 Bodrum XQ631 1106-2409
Wed D0025 Izmir XQ885 1206-2509
Wed A2015 Gaziantep XQ742-2310
Wed D2125 Gaziantep XQ743 1206-2310
Thu A1640 Ankara XQ740 1306-2609
Thu D1750 Ankara XQ741 1306-2609
Fri A1140 Antalya XQ530 0305-2510
Fri D1240 Antalya XQ531 0305-2510
Sun A1315 Izmir XQ884 0906-2010
Sun D1415 Bodrum XQ631 0906-2010
Sun A2325 Bodrum XQ632 0906-2010

pabely
23rd Oct 2018, 18:30
Sun Express S19:

Mon D0025 Izmir XQ885 1006-2110
Mon A1140 Antalya XQ530 0605-2810
Mon D1240 Antalya XQ531 0605-2810
Tue A1315 Izmir XQ884 1106-2409
Tue D1415 Bodrum XQ885 1106-2409
Tue A2325 Bodrum XQ631 1106-2409
Wed D0025 Izmir XQ885 1206-2509
Wed A2015 Gaziantep XQ742-2310
Wed D2125 Gaziantep XQ743 1206-2310
Thu A1640 Ankara XQ740 1306-2609
Thu D1750 Ankara XQ741 1306-2609
Fri A1140 Antalya XQ530 0305-2510
Fri D1240 Antalya XQ531 0305-2510
Sun A1315 Izmir XQ884 0906-2010
Sun D1415 Bodrum XQ631 0906-2010
Sun A2325 Bodrum XQ632 0906-2010

So are those additional post 23:00 slots or what they had this summer?

ClearLand08
23rd Oct 2018, 20:42
By my records it will be 1 less rotation than this year, where there were 2 x weekly Ankara flights (Tue & Sun).

LTNman
24th Oct 2018, 20:03
Wasn’t the SilverJet terminal converted to the temporary arrivals.

The temporary arrivals entrance was indeed the entrance to Silverjet. Their terminal basically became an airside staff access route and now it is being converted to an extended baggage hall. In fact I think part of it became the newly opened domestic reclaim area.

pabely
25th Oct 2018, 18:28
So Northolt confirmed closure next year for 6 months, going to be busy!

22/04
25th Oct 2018, 18:43
If Luton has space. Some traffic to Farnborough, Stansted and maybe even Southend and Cranfield?

dvc
26th Oct 2018, 01:08
Stands 46 and 61 should be back in operation.

compton3bravo
26th Oct 2018, 08:22
If you are doing business in Milton Keynes/North London areas I doubt very much you would want to be flying into Southend. Cranfield, Luton or Oxford yes. Unfortunately two of those do not have 24 hours opening. The two stands back in operation would be taken up by the two extra Ryanair aircraft I would have thought.

pabely
26th Oct 2018, 11:16
If you are doing business in Milton Keynes/North London areas I doubt very much you would want to be flying into Southend. Cranfield, Luton or Oxford yes. Unfortunately two of those do not have 24 hours opening. The two stands back in operation would be taken up by the two extra Ryanair aircraft I would have thought.

I'm sure users of Northolt do so because of it's location, it is only open from 08:00 to 20:00 Mon - Fri, limited hours at weekend and up to 20 civilian movements a day so traffic would not be affected by any other airport opening hours. If you are visiting say The Queen or a Corporate Head Office in West London, why would you go to Southend! :} Luton, Farnborough or Oxford yes. If you wanted to land in London at 3AM in the Summer then yes Southend as there are zero other options.

LGS6753
26th Oct 2018, 18:57
ACL's W18 start of season analysis shows:

Doubling of movements (v W17) by European Air Transport (DHL)
20% increase by MNG
Additional 2 aircraft from Ryanair
50% increase from Tarom
People's Viennaline operating twice weekly to Altenrhein Jan-Mar
20% increase from TUI, including Chambery (ex-Titan), Paphos and Hurghada
Halving of Vueling flights with Florence & Barcelona dropped.
25% increase from Wizzair overall, with Wizzair Hungary reducing and Wizzair UK increasing.
Titan dropping Chambery.

All overnight stands allocated.
Night quotas introduced for winter, reducing capacity between midnight and 0700.
Capacity of an additional 1,000,000 seats.
EasyJet starting a new daily service from March (undisclosed)

davidjohnson6
26th Oct 2018, 20:17
People's Vienna line has been rumoured to be looking at London for a while but after their route to Cologne was closed I never thought they would even look at London

Assuming People's really do operate to London and don't just hand the slots back...
People's offer a high level of service in return for a high fare. I am surprised they would choose Luton rather than (for example) London City

Falcon666
27th Oct 2018, 14:17
https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/LTN-W18-SOS-Report.pdf

Here is the link for anyone interested.

Interested to see what the new Easyjet route will be. Most recent new routes from them have tended to be 2/3/4 weekly (Gibraltar and Krakow being the latest)
Daily indicates the route will be popular

pabely
27th Oct 2018, 17:06
20% increase from TUI, including Chambery (ex-Titan), Paphos and Hurghada
I thought TUI have already dropped Hurghada?

AirportPlanner1
28th Oct 2018, 12:08
Assuming People's really do operate to London and don't just hand the slots back...
People's offer a high level of service in return for a high fare. I am surprised they would choose Luton rather than (for example) London City

I suspect this would be linked to skiing and operate at weekends, so LCY would be of little use. Nonetheless, I would also expect it to be on sale by now so I reckon it can be discounted.

LTNman
29th Oct 2018, 11:17
Sheets to be piled are being placed into position by the fire station for the DART
https://i.imgur.com/DlKxpUq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ayc7HN8.jpg

Meanwhile on the other side of the tunnel the embankment is being cut away for the temporary road diversion.
https://i.imgur.com/x9PKAK1.jpg

Work on Taxiway Foxtrot is now well under way
https://i.imgur.com/g6Z8rJU.jpg

Site of the new station
https://i.imgur.com/Zu9lH4a.jpg

Another section over covered bus station has opened
https://i.imgur.com/0ABsTyx.jpg

Both builders compounds that occupied stands on the Eastern and Northern Aprons have now gone
https://i.imgur.com/ZHysZx9.jpg

cj241101
29th Oct 2018, 11:44
Stand 46 was already back in use by yesterday, not sure about 61 although it seems to have ground equipment on site in the above photo.

dvc
29th Oct 2018, 15:31
Both stands in regular use for night stoppers

Falcon666
31st Oct 2018, 16:50
Taxiway Foxtrot
On a visit today noticed the work being carried out for the new taxiway.
The width being dug out appears to be wide enough for the taxiway plus the stand areas for deicing .
i wonder what will happen when this is finished , as for at least nine / ten months of the year will there will be an area sitting dormant capable of having remote parked biz jets maybe?
Has anybody seen the planned layout when it's finished?

LTNman
1st Nov 2018, 19:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXVuzRr70t8&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1Te6-n15mfjR6XS00k_xQqsK5GKh2d_EqBTbf8XXIAZaAY6CT_6u5kgmc

pabely
1st Nov 2018, 19:55
Don't think H61 can take the 787-9s though

Lee Baker Street
1st Nov 2018, 20:36
I have seen a TUI 787-9 at Ltn. If it was not carrying passengers or not in for maintenance; what was it in for?

LTNman
1st Nov 2018, 22:36
Taxiway Foxtrot
On a visit today noticed the work being carried out for the new taxiway.
The width being dug out appears to be wide enough for the taxiway plus the stand areas for deicing .
i wonder what will happen when this is finished , as for at least nine / ten months of the year will there will be an area sitting dormant capable of having remote parked biz jets maybe?
Has anybody seen the planned layout when it's finished?

Not sure where the new deicing area is going to be built or even if it will be built as it was an option on the tender for the new taxiway. If built would it be a better location than the south stands which is handy for both 08 and 26 departures. Also as suggested by Falcon666 what happens to a new deicing area if built when it is not being used in summer? Long term parking for biz jets seems a good idea.

Falcon666
2nd Nov 2018, 11:42
Not sure where the new deicing area is going to be built or even if it will be built as it was an option on the tender for the new taxiway. If built would it be a better location than the south stands which is handy for both 08 and 26 departures. Also as suggested by Falcon666 what happens to a new deicing area if built when it is not being used in summer? Long term parking for biz jets seems a good idea.

LTNman
I found the plan on the LBC planning site 18/01463 (tel:18/01463)/DOC DC03 Flood assessment Phase 2 Foxtrot Page 28
It appears they are digging an area approx twice the width of the taxiway required then Taxiway foxtrot will go through the middle with areas either side being asphalted.
This looks like Foxtrot will be used at all times until deicing is required then Foxtrot will be closed for deicing ( maybe big enough for four a/c) only.

So there will not be a separate area as such for deicing and as such no more room for remote biz jets.

Sorry couldn’t cut and paste the plan but have a look and see what you think.Hope it makes sense.

Falcon

LTNman
2nd Nov 2018, 12:21
Well spotted that man. Can aircraft pass each other when being de-iced? Guess it depends how the pads are marked up.

https://i.imgur.com/x7J5BI4.jpg

pabely
2nd Nov 2018, 13:02
But in the summer when no deicing is required and the airport is short of overnight parking, double taxiway width enables space to be used for.....😉

Planespeaking
2nd Nov 2018, 17:34
Some rather awful pictures of a paraplegic man dragging himself along the floor in LTN's terminal because his wheelchair had been lost and no one either from the airline or terminal staff would help him. On tv news channels and websites...if true then not good publicity.

ericlday
2nd Nov 2018, 17:55
Please report all the facts......In August 2017 he arrived on a flight to Luton Airport to discover his custom-made, self-propelling wheelchair had been left behind.At the airport, staff offered to push him through the terminal on a high-backed wheelchair - an option he rejected as degrading.

He asked if he could instead be transported in a motorised buggy. However, Luton does not have one.

kildress
2nd Nov 2018, 18:14
Some rather awful pictures of a paraplegic man dragging himself along the floor in LTN's terminal because his wheelchair had been lost and no one either from the airline or terminal staff would help him. On tv news channels and websites...if true then not good publicity.
But someone, presumably with him, helpfully recorded all rather than pushing a proffered wheelchair It doesn't make Luton's offering right, but does make you wonder

ATNotts
2nd Nov 2018, 18:39
But someone, presumably with him, helpfully recorded all rather than pushing a proffered wheelchair It doesn't make Luton's offering right, but does make you wonder

This guy was making a political point!! So far as I can see from the recent BBC news report his motorised chair was lost in transit; LTN airport / the airline's handling agent offered assistance by providing a non motorised chair to get through the airport which he, for reasons I don't readily understand, he refused - probably to make said political point.

It isn't the airport's fault that his chair was mislaid, and I honestly don't know how he can seriously expect to win a legal case against the airport. I sincerely hope he loses. there is too much of the social media driven attention seeking nonsense today. Sh1t happens!

Falcon666
2nd Nov 2018, 18:47

Ironically In the independent report in July on disabled airport access Luton performed better than many.
I think if you are offered help you should accept it, not use it as an excuse for publicity.
Its a bit like being offered a Ford Fiesta when your used to a BMW.
I have a disabled friend who is quite embarrassed by this report, she used a word but I won’t use it here.

Planespeaking
2nd Nov 2018, 18:49

Yes indeed it does 'make you wonder'. A lot of interesting camera angles, and the BBC roped in, however LTN needs to kick it's PR department into life because this is not good publicity regardless of it's validity.

boeing_eng
2nd Nov 2018, 18:51
I have seen a TUI 787-9 at Ltn. If it was not carrying passengers or not in for maintenance; what was it in for?

Engine change....and they don't quite fit!

LTNman
2nd Nov 2018, 19:04
The guys issue was that the airport does not supply self propelled wheelchairs. By dragging himself across the floor I am surprised he didn't comment on the state of the broken and cracked floor tiles.

DC3 Dave
2nd Nov 2018, 21:27
Think about able bodied people. Some are mild mannered, willing to accept whatever life throws at them apologising for having to make the slightest fuss. Others are billigerent so and sos, who will create merry Hell over a minor inconvenience.

Disabled people are exactly the same as the rest of us in this regard. Sure, this guy had reason to be seriously unhappy, but his actions say far more about his character than his disability.

I'm glad Luton's management have vigorously defended their staff.

edi_local
2nd Nov 2018, 21:43
I wonder on what grounds does he think he has a case against LTN and is suing them? They provide PRM assistance facilities which are at the very least in line with all current legislation, with fully trained staff and modern equipment. PRM handling exists to safely and comfortably get those who require it from point A to Point B in a timely manor. There is no provision for having all manor of customised wheelchairs available to suit the needs of every PRMs specific tastes. In this case we see the airport and PRM company providing the exacts service they are obliged to do and it is being refused, so I cannot possibly see how this man could win his case. If you require an airport wheelchair then you take what is there in cases like this. In this case the specialised chair was left behind. A disgrace of course, but certainly not the fault of LTN or the PRM company, so why he felt the need for this protest is quite a mystery. I am glad LTN are standing up to him.

compton3bravo
2nd Nov 2018, 22:37
I would like to know how he managed to get off the aircraft, by ambilift in a wheelchair with help from the care bears I would imagine. Then decided as his own wheelchair was not available he would slide across the terminal floor. What happened when he got to passport control! Also the incident occurred in August 2017 seems a long time to make a claim. I wonder if the airline was Monarch. Lots of unanswered questions.

edi_local
2nd Nov 2018, 23:20
I would like to know how he managed to get off the aircraft, by ambilift in a wheelchair with help from the care bears I would imagine. Then decided as his own wheelchair was not available he would slide across the terminal floor. What happened when he got to passport control! Also the incident occurred in August 2017 seems a long time to make a claim. I wonder if the airline was Monarch. Lots of unanswered questions.

The article doesn't say, but it does mention he is doing work in Moldova. The only link between LTN and Moldova is to KIV on WizzAir, assuming he traveled directly.

You raise a good point about the border. How did he get through in that state? e-gates would have been out of the question. Surely a border force agent wouldn't have tolerate just staring a a man sitting on the floor?

It is quite insulting towards the PRM service people that he considers thier help undignified but then goes on to make this dramatic episode.

LTNman
3rd Nov 2018, 06:29
Outside the terminal the pavement isn’t very wheelchair friendly for those that want to wheel themselves due to sloping ground. Also just before the coach station opened a selection of coaches tested their ramps for wheelchair access but many coaches could not use their wheelchair ramps due to the narrowness of the pavement between the coaches and fencing between the lanes, that issue was never fixed.

The multi-storey also has issues when all the lifts breakdown in a single core which then leaves just the stairs for access. Always seem to happen on a Friday afternoon just before a bank holiday.

The man also complained that the airport does not have any powered golf buggies.

I have to say that the airport has not been designed to help the less mobile or people pushing children’s pushchairs. Most of the gates involve staircases and most don’t have lifts.

compton3bravo
3rd Nov 2018, 09:11
He also just happened to have a colleague filming the incident hmmm. He does not seem to be getting a lot of sympathy from comments in the national press who seem to be sided with the airport in this case which definitely makes a change!

LGS6753
3rd Nov 2018, 10:38
The only link between LTN and Moldova is to KIV on WizzAir

Wizzair fly to Chisinau, capital of Moldova.

Captain_Caveman
3rd Nov 2018, 13:29
To be honest I think both parties in wheelchairgate are at fault here. A lot of other airports have self propelled wheelchairs that can be loaned out to customers not just the attendant style ones. Why not Luton ? Also as mentioned before the airport is not very disability friendly. Having said that the news report interviewed the passenger making the complaint which said that he refused the offer of being wheeled through by an attendant because it made him dependant on other people. I completely understand and respect his viewpoint but then that would make sitting on a motorised buggy also being dependant on someone else.

The customer is quite within his right to complain about his treatment but like a lot of stories that make it into the news, the issue is given some extra sensationalism to turn it into a headline.

Falcon666
3rd Nov 2018, 13:47
Does anybody know if self propelled wheelchairs are now available at Luton?

LTNman
3rd Nov 2018, 15:30
Never seen any at Luton. Noted that the gent was pushing himself along on a trolly that costs £2 to rent. Also don’t forget the drop off zone is a good 6 minute walk from the terminal frontage.

LTNman
3rd Nov 2018, 16:56
Monarch’s former HQ has been fenced off with builders signs attached to the fence.

edi_local
3rd Nov 2018, 23:41

Yes, that is exactly what I posted, but thank you for quoting me only to then say the same thing! :D

I completely understand and respect his viewpoint but then that would make sitting on a motorised buggy also being dependant on someone else.

That's why I don't understand his dramatics. How did he get to/from the airport in the first place? Presumably he had a taxi or another vehicle? Is that not also relying on someone else? I don't understand his opposition to being assisted at all to be honest. It was an unfortunate situation that his own chair didn't arrive, but the airline in question should be the ones in the spotlight. All LTN staff did was offer their assistance and this man refused. They way he has acted is unacceptable. They are not obliged to have self propelled chairs, they are obliged to provide assistance which is what they did. Where would he have gone with the self propelled chair in this instance? Home, presumably? With an expensive piece of kit that LTN then has to pay to get back for the next customer. I don't really see that as being a good solution.

I really don't get this mans beef with LTN. It just smacks of attention seeking. He is suggesting that wheelchair users are lacking dignity for being pushed around. I think many other wheelchair users would rightly be disgusted at that kind of comment from him. There is nothing wrong with needing help sometimes. This situation is one of those exact times. He would have maintained his dignity more by just accepting the assistance and saying thanks, then kicking up an almighty fuss about the airline in the media, outlining how the LTN staff were there to help him. Now they will likely do nothing to help him and will indeed take him to court. A situation not originally caused by the man, but certainly one he has escalated entirely unnecessarily. I am surprised that a man who apparently works in Moldova (a country I have been to) is going off on one about being offered assistance at the airport. Moldova is possibly the least disabled friendly country I've been to. After spending any amount of time there I'd have though anyone who needed mobility assistance would be very welcome of it.

Back to the original issue though. The airline in question chose not to load his chair. That needs to be investigated. Even if it was taken at the gate there would have been plenty of time to disconnect any batteries and load it and they would surely have been aware of the chair at the time of check in? KIV is a small airport, it takes barely any time to proceed through the formalities on departure, so unless this passenger just presented himself at the gate without having given any warning to the airline about his chair and they simply couldn't plan for it then I don't see why it wouldn't have been loaded.

LGS6753
4th Nov 2018, 10:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGS6753 https://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/599758-luton-9-a-93.html#post10300387)
Yes, that is exactly what I posted, but thank you for quoting me only to then say the same thing! https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies2/eusa_clap.gif

...and there was me thinking KIV = Kiev. Doh!

compton3bravo
7th Nov 2018, 09:04
BLUEAIR
Looks like both the Larnaca and Turin routes have been pulled from the start of the summer 2019 schedule. Understand Larnaca with a lot of competition but Turin or whether it is easyJets new daily route which has yet to be announced.

dvc
7th Nov 2018, 10:53
BLUEAIR
Looks like both the Larnaca and Turin routes have been pulled from the start of the summer 2019 schedule. Understand Larnaca with a lot of competition but Turin or whether it is easyJets new daily route which has yet to be announced.
Wouldn't be so sure about larnaca. Seems o be one of most packed bluair flights from luton. month or two ago they were ferrying empty ac from Liverpool to luton so they can send 2 ac full of pax to larnaca at the same time

LTNman
7th Nov 2018, 12:53
Seems that Luton does have self propelled wheelchairs after all. Also now that I am looking out for them I have seen a few located by the care bear reception.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/travel/paraplegic-athlete-defends-decision-to-drag-himself-out-of-luton-airport/

pabely
7th Nov 2018, 13:06
Wouldn't be so sure about larnaca. Seems o be one of most packed bluair flights from luton. month or two ago they were ferrying empty ac from Liverpool to luton so they can send 2 ac full of pax to larnaca at the same time
Reminds me if the old Cyprus Airways flights, always did well!

compton3bravo
7th Nov 2018, 14:14
Just going by the website saying no flights but maybe not loaded yet, let us hope so.

DC3 Dave
8th Nov 2018, 10:10
Justin Levene has dropped his legal action against the airport, saying he is now satisfied with Luton's actions in response to his complaint.

Or maybe his legal advice changed once it became clear that the airport would vigorously defend their position rather than settle the matter out of court.

LTNman
8th Nov 2018, 13:53
He did say in an interview that the airport now had self propelled wheelchairs which is what I spotted a few days ago on my travels so maybe the airport was shamed into taking action?

cj241101
8th Nov 2018, 14:14
BLUEAIR
Looks like both the Larnaca and Turin routes have been pulled from the start of the summer 2019 schedule.
I know they have been code sharing for a few weeks now but how long has the Blue Air Turin flight been announced on the airport PA as "Alitalia" as well as "Blue Air" - heard it this morning for the first time. Anyone know if the Vueling Amsterdam gets announced as "Iberia" as they also have a code share?

southside bobby
8th Nov 2018, 15:44
It is quite apparent that the wheelchair user has now won the argument...

LGS6753
8th Nov 2018, 15:58
It is quite apparent that the wheelchair user has now won the argument...

Another perspective (from Travel Mole):Disabled athlete drops legal action against Luton AirportA disabled athlete who dragged himself through Luton Airport is dropping his legal action following an improvement in the airport's disabled facilities.
Justin Levene's self-propelling wheelchair was left behind on a flight last August, and although he was offered a rigid high-backed chair he refused because he said it removed his independence.
Instead he dragged himself along the ground through the arrivals terminal.
Luton Airport says it has since acquired 10 self-propelled wheelchairs. In addition, it is able to lend people replacement equipment, such as wheelchairs, free of charge as well as organise and fund the returns process, and, when it has pre-notification of a requirement for very specialised mobility equipment, it has an arrangement with a local disability resource centre to source the necessary items.
Levene, an international wheelchair athlete, trainer and mentor to disabled athletes, told the BBC: "If Luton now has self-propelling wheelchairs, and a loan system in case of loss or damage to a wheelchair, then I'm delighted with this outcome.
"This was never about money, it was about trying get a change in policy.
"I am happy to drop my legal claim because Luton has taken on board my concerns and improved their disabled facilities for the better.
"I hope that media coverage has helped raise awareness of issues around the mobility needs of disabled travellers.
"We simply want to get from A to B with as much dignity and independence as possible."

southside bobby
8th Nov 2018, 16:39
Why is Travel Mole above a different perspective?...

The end result is LTN have acquired 10 self-propelled wheelchairs & put into place other related services.

TBH as much as I refer to Travel Mole,the general public do not & will get their news feed from the likes of the BBC witness this pm.

The wheelchair user has won the argument.

LTNman
8th Nov 2018, 21:03
This is why the airport is never too keen on people taking photos or video at the airport as they have no control of the content unless they provide minders. With most of the terminal now complete and looking at the finish of airport provided fixtures and fittings I don't expect that position to change anytime soon.

[email protected]

We're going through a really exciting phase here at London Luton. We’re investing £110m to transform your airport – increasing the choice of destinations, making road and rail access easier and your airport journey quicker.This does mean we're not in the best shape for filming or photography and so are unable to accept requests other than for news/current affairs just at this time.

Falcon666
8th Nov 2018, 21:27
Noticed taxiway Foxtrot will not be joined to the East Apron at a 90 degree angle(as in the master plan) but instead will join taxiway delta further to the south and at a 45 degree angle.
This apparently is due to not having to dig out contaminated land.

New plan at LBC 18/00001/GPDOPD

LTNman
9th Nov 2018, 06:27
They are still digging out plenty of rubbish including an old bicycle. Looking at the plan there doesn't seem to be any room for aircraft to pass each other when being de-iced. I am guessing the brown areas are the maneuvering areas for the de-icing trucks.

Note the red line marks the boundary of the rubbish tip.
https://i.imgur.com/PDGDOHm.jpg

LTNman
9th Nov 2018, 11:07
This is the terminals grand entrance. Personally I think it is a shocker. The slatted wood gaps are too wide and only covers the middle section with almost every pipe, cable, trunking and heating duct on show. Not content with this a careful look over at Pret shows two massive heating ducts that jut out below the natural height of the ceiling. What can't be seen in this photo is a matching gap either side of the slats. Also seen is the mass of filler that has replaced the broken floor tiles.
https://i.imgur.com/E1oLJUE.jpg

Into the new terminal extension by the airside exit shows that the slats don't even cross at right angles in the direction people walk so blocking part of the view of the services. What is quite nice is the large screen video wall showing video and arrival times located behind the temporary arrivals sign.
https://i.imgur.com/tCWCBL2.jpg

I actually have doubts whether the rest of the new build will even get a slatted ceiling as it achieves little. Also I don't know why they didn't spray all the silver black to help hide it.
https://i.imgur.com/qli4j74.jpg

Outside another section of covered bus waiting area is being covered in fabric.
https://i.imgur.com/J0o0xRJ.jpg

Windows have arrived onsite to part cover the old temporary entrance. As seen work continues on the main walk to the terminal which is having a more moderate slope put in.
https://i.imgur.com/sssyCj9.jpg

Meanwhile sheet piling is being put in at the station site while the concrete piling to the right and out of sight is being exposed.
https://i.imgur.com/sXs6swR.jpg

Sheet piling is also being sunk just behind the crane for the temporary road route. With a small parking area going in which is being tarmacked in this photo, I am now starting to think that all road traffic will end up going around the bus station roundabout so allowing a section of cut and cover to be dug out. Also the easyjet building is having its orange restored so it would seem that they are going nowhere.
https://i.imgur.com/nBewZ60.jpg

Work is continuing on the foundations of the second multistory. The footprint of this second multistory is truly massive. In the distance can be seen work on Foxtrot being carried out.
https://i.imgur.com/UMMj9wX.jpg

Finally the leveling of the ground for taxiway foxtrot and the deicing pads is taking place just by the long term car park.
https://i.imgur.com/6oErcyc.jpg

cj241101
9th Nov 2018, 12:36
Anyone know if the Vueling Amsterdam gets announced as "Iberia" as they also have a code share?

Answered my own question this morning - yes, Iberia flights as well as Alitalia now get announced on the airport PA.

Falcon666
9th Nov 2018, 12:54
What I don’t understand with regards to the broken tiles is if they won’t replace them then why not add a white additive to the filler to at least make it blend in a bit.

pabely
9th Nov 2018, 13:08
Answered my own question this morning - yes, Iberia flights as well as Alitalia now get announced on the airport PA.
Strange, can you book flights on the Alitalia booking engine? I know you can on Iberia's?

Falcon666
9th Nov 2018, 13:16
Strange, can you book flights on the Alitalia booking engine? I know you can on Iberia's?

Yes you can

LTNman
9th Nov 2018, 13:39
What I don’t understand with regards to the broken tiles is if they won’t replace them then why not add a white additive to the filler to at least make it blend in a bit.

What I don't understand is that the new build floor was breaking up within weeks of opening but just like the 1999 floor of the main part of the terminal no one has ever gone back to fix it so no warranty comes to mind. The strange thing is that cleaners pick away at chewing gum which is the same colour as the filler yet the filler looks like elephants chewing gum and can cover several tiles at a time.

Maybe I should crawl around the terminal floor on by bum and send the footage to the BBC. Thinking Wheelchairs.

pabely
9th Nov 2018, 14:02
Yes you can

Cool, didn't work when did a quick try on my phone. Perhaps this is a toe in the water to other Alitalia schedules finally moving from LHR ;-)?

Falcon666
9th Nov 2018, 14:51
Cool, didn't work when did a quick try on my phone. Perhaps this is a toe in the water to other Alitalia schedules finally moving from LHR ;-)?

Wishful thinking !
Alitalia signed a code share with Blueair last December on various routes they operate.
Not sure what the load factor has been on the Turin flights but I suspect not good enough if it isn’t available for S19.

PAXboy
9th Nov 2018, 15:13
Thanks to LTNman for the photos showing the awful non-ceiling. What would be interesting would be to see if there are 'artist impressions' from the original application / PR as to how it would look when finished. Coz it sure wouldn't look it does.

ExpectmorePayless
9th Nov 2018, 15:33
Trying to relieve the boredom while stood waiting in the queue at Passport Control, you look up towards the myriad of air conditioning ducts located in the ceiling. Most are now covered in an inch thick layer of grey, woolly dust, which I would hazard a guess now represents a fire risk in addition to the hazard of breathing in said particles for those entering the country.
What a welcome !

LTNman
9th Nov 2018, 15:58
The vision before half the wooden ceiling got scrapped. My top photo was taken by the second pillar from the right of the artists impression. The actual layout is spot on but it is just the finish as though no one cares about passenger perceptions. This is why the airport will struggle to attract anymore full fare airlines. It's the little things like the airport putting up plasterboard walls and then painting them with white emulsion so within 10 minutes of the paint drying they get scuffed.

Also when did Luton last attract a new airline to fly services into it? Don't remember any in 2018. Luton is only full for night stoppers and not for foreign airlines wanting daytime access.

https://i.imgur.com/i4GjYTs.jpg

Spanish eyes
9th Nov 2018, 16:56
With the cost this development put at £160 million I would have thought an extra £100,000 spend on fixtures and fittings would have gone a long way but with the Spanish concessionaires having to eventually hand the airport back they are in no mood to spend more than they have to especially with a 60% overspend on the original projected cost.

The whole airport is once again a mass building site with cranes and machinery in all four corners of the airport.

PAXboy
9th Nov 2018, 21:45
Thanks LTNman, exactly what I suspected. Cutting costs now, only makes the future more expensive.

Buster the Bear
10th Nov 2018, 19:39
Allegedly, taxiway Foxtrot has been a disaster! Having to backfill due to the ex landfill contamination being exposed and a subsequent environmental disaster ! Now I have been told that the wing tip clearance is not sufficient to permit passing on Delta and newly realigned Foxtrot!

Billy Smart's legacy lives on! What next? Building Tinminal 2 on on the old Tidy Tip?

LTNman
11th Nov 2018, 00:17
Taxiway Delta and Foxtrot will have the correct clearance but as for Terminal 2 LLAL want to place the terminal right over and on top of the former council rubbish tip. Not content with that it will decimate a designated County Wildlife Site and large public park. As the town has a shortage of spare land a replacement park is proposed across the border in Hertfordshire.

tubby linton
11th Nov 2018, 09:59
What is happening to (NO) Prospect House, the old Monarch headquarters building? It is surrounded by fencing. Who is going to take it on?

LGS6753
11th Nov 2018, 10:41
What is happening to (NO) Prospect House, the old Monarch headquarters building? It is surrounded by fencing. Who is going to take it on?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it will be converted to a hotel.

LTNman
11th Nov 2018, 16:40
That would require a planning application and none has gone in so far for change of use.

compton3bravo
13th Nov 2018, 06:03
New Wizz route starts today - Kharkov second largest city in Ukraine.

danielson81
13th Nov 2018, 16:55
Wonder how the Wizz route to Lviv is doing, now it faces competition from FR at STN? (and Kyiv to that effect, albeit different airports).

LTNman
13th Nov 2018, 18:09
https://www.arup.com/projects/dart-london-luton-airport

Strange things are happening at the site of the terminal DART station. Instead of digging out the soil between the foundation columns a large part of it has been capped in concrete and then smoothed with a swirling machine to get a smooth finish. Now why would they want to do that I am thinking????

LTNman
14th Nov 2018, 12:44
Always like a mystery. Photos shows a large area of concrete at the station site that should be a hole for a subterranean station. Speculation anyone?

https://i.imgur.com/85k1zi2.jpg

Falcon666
14th Nov 2018, 12:58
LTNman
I think what you are looking at will eventually be a floor section of the station.
Rather than “ cut and cover “ this is more “ cover and dig”
I think you will find this section is on hydraulics allowing the underneath to be dug out, when this is done the whole section will be lowered to become the floor.
Possibly they will do this with another section using a digger and conveyor system to remove the soil.

Think we need Constuctors Input to confirm but it looks impressive.

LTNman
14th Nov 2018, 13:12
Would have thought it would be easier to dig a hole and lay a floor. The interesting thing is that this is smooth concrete like found on the floors inside new homes so it would seem to indicate it is a floor. Also I didn't see any reinforcement rods being laid before the concrete was poured. Might have missed it but I don't think so. Also there is what looks like a small metal cover which can be seen in the photo and which looks like wet concrete. Wonder what that is for?

Also thinking we need input from Constructor.

Falcon666
14th Nov 2018, 13:49
I am curious as to which way they will excavate, it’s looking like towards taxiway delta but I may be wrong.
Keep an eye out for a second section!
At least they will be able to work underground and not be exposed to the elements, could this be their thinking as winter is coming?

lfc84
14th Nov 2018, 14:39
Why don't you go down there an ask them :-)

SWBKCB
14th Nov 2018, 15:10
Well, the could tell him but then they'd have to.... :E

Actually, don't tell anybody but it's the new top secret bunker HQ for EZY's new mega-regional feeder airline created by taking over Flybe/Stobart/Loganair/BMIR :suspect:

(can't have this thread missing out on the BE frenzy! :ok:)

Falcon666
14th Nov 2018, 15:21

I live 50 miles away so I am curious but not that curious I would drive there.
Like many I rely on LTNman for the updates.

Constructor
15th Nov 2018, 08:44
I have no details of this contract so here is my calculated guess. This layer of concrete appears to have been laid to a very high spec. I think it will be a temporary layer immediately under the roof slab. If so the next work will be to lay a membrane which will act as a debonding layer to the roof slab concrete. After the membrane will come the reinforcing bars, lots of them will be fixed. The roof slab thickness will be 800- 1000 mm thick. The roof slab will also act as a horizontal column holding up the piles. Piles, concrete or steel, can only hold up soil to about 3m deep freestanding. Over that depth you need propping, called temporary works. My guess is that this dig will be 7m deep. The structure being formed is a box or an n shape. Once the roof slab is formed excavation inside the box will occur including the concrete you can see today. A very efficient method of construction. The next few days will be interesting. Hope I am right.

Falcon666
15th Nov 2018, 10:03
Constructor,
Many thanks for your input, looking forward to the updates from LTNman.

LTNman
15th Nov 2018, 13:23
Noticed that at one end there is definitely a curve on the concrete. Today they seemed to be hand polishing it with some sort of material or cloth.

compton3bravo
15th Nov 2018, 15:52
Over 1.5 million passengers passed through the airport in October a 7.9 per cent increase compared to October 2017. the

canberra97
15th Nov 2018, 22:27

Yes that's exactly what I would do at least you would get a better idea as to what is happening rather than guessing.

As much I enjoy the updates and photos provided by LTNman and I really do honestly and I'm under the impression that he is local to LTN and I'm not sure if he actually works at the airport but the amount of time that he does spend at the airport taking photos personally I would be asking for as much information as possible from the contractors onsite regarding developments at the airport rather than making wild guesses.

There has to be an actual reason behind the laying of this concrete!

Go on LTNman next time your at the airport doing your next photo update go down and ask the contractors what's going on, because we all want to know now :-)

Buster the Bear
15th Nov 2018, 22:38
Oh and whilst you are at it, a comment from the airport operator about Taxiway Foxtrot :)

LTNman
16th Nov 2018, 04:21
Easier said than done. There are 5 sets of contractors working at Luton who are working on 4 major projects. Then there are the dozens of subcontractors who are all doing their own thing so it is not always straight forward who is doing what. The projects are being carried out behind secure fences or in the case of the DART behind hordings. I am inclined not to loiter around a turnstile for long periods like a roving reporter hoping that I speak to an individual who has an oversight of the big picture.

Saying that I do actually have a senior contact for the principal contractor so I will send him an email and ask the question.

As for the rest of the DART outside the airport boundary work has recently started on the earthworks for the bridge that will cross the A1081 on the Parkway side. The steelwork for the bridge will be assembled on a pocket of land opposite the Ibis hotel and then taken to site. The span will be 72m long as it will have to cross a dual carriageway and at the same time the beginnings of the sliproad to the airport which is also two lanes.

Also I only take photos when I am in the mood and when there are enough changes to warrant them. With so much going on at the moment the frequency has gone up so it is a bit of a balancing act not to over do them here.

Finally guessing is half the fun so just think of it as a rumour.

compton3bravo
16th Nov 2018, 11:49
Seems I was a bit premature about the Blue air Larnaca flights for summer 2019. Now showing four weekly but no sign of Turin flights for next summer.

LTNman
16th Nov 2018, 13:07
The answer

I have managed to get an answer for you from one of our section engineers. You are quiet correct that the station will be underground but the site is basically in two parts, one part is the station and the other part is the maintenance area. The concreted area will be dug underneath to form the maintenance area but it’s a very small site with a lot going on within it so we are doing it this way for logistical reasons.

dvc
16th Nov 2018, 19:56
Little off current topic. Got confirmation from crew (and they have it officially as a warning ) that current multistorey still occasionally messes up with the ILS. It has been covered with some special paint but it haven't fully resolve the issue

LTNman
16th Nov 2018, 21:56
The only paint that has been applied since the building was built is the matching grey paint that covers most of the exterior breeze blocks which compared to the size of the building is only about 1%.

nema/robin hood
17th Nov 2018, 14:33
Hi Guys, off to Vienna in a couple of weeks. I'm parking the car in Mid Term and was just wondering due to all the construction, whether or not I'm still able to walk from the car park to the Ibis (staying the night) and then walk from the Ibis to the terminal the following morning? Cheers :)

Falcon666
17th Nov 2018, 16:17
Hi Guys, off to Vienna in a couple of weeks. I'm parking the car in Mid Term and was just wondering due to all the construction, whether or not I'm still able to walk from the car park to the Ibis (staying the night) and then walk from the Ibis to the terminal the following morning? Cheers :)

Hi , you will have no problems.
The dual carriageway upgrades have all been completed now .
There are two Ibis hotels now , but they are pretty much opposite each other.

LTNman
17th Nov 2018, 18:22
Talking of hotels the Courtyard by Marriott has now opened. The hotel rooms were premade in Eastern Europe and craned into position. The airport now has 6 hotels if the hotel by Parkway is included.

Expressflight
18th Nov 2018, 10:31
Bizjet Night Quota

Someone mentioned to me that LTN has recently imposed a bizjet night movement quota. Is this the case and if so what is the quota and is it permanent?

LTNman
18th Nov 2018, 15:57
No restrictions on Notam also this

Signature Flight Support | London Luton Airport Night Noise Closures (http://www.signatureflight.com/events/london-luton-airport-temporary-noise-closures)

Also looks like for 2019 only the really noisy aircraft will be banned at night

2019 RESTRICTIONS
Aircraft exceeding noise quotient QC1 standard will be ineligible for night-time slots during the summer of 2019.

Luton does not seem as busy as it was for biz jets so I guess parking is more of an issue as Signature lost use of an overnight apron.

pabely
18th Nov 2018, 16:14
The airport was NOTAM for full closure last and this weekend from 0001z to 0530z, maybe confused with the noise quotas in place as well?

Falcon666
18th Nov 2018, 16:50
London Night Closures: Dark Future? | NBAA 2018 content from Aviation Week (http://aviationweek.com/nbaa-2018/london-night-closures-dark-future)

OltonPete
18th Nov 2018, 18:26
London Night Closures: Dark Future? NBAA 2018 content from Aviation Week (http://aviationweek.com/nbaa-2018/london-night-closures-dark-future)

The FBO's here in London North seem keen on handling anything sent their way but I can't comment about BHX Management although I think there is brief mention in the Masterplan about non-airline traffic.

All BHX can hope for is that the restrictions continue down south as it needs all it can get and although in the middle of their own annual night closures (week nights) it must add a tiny bit to the bottom line although I believe a couple of diversions the other night got trapped by the night closure.

Ironic really, as the one genuine excuse for the lack of choice of long-haul from BHX is its proximity to London and Manchester but its location also works in its favour (although the article does say not ideal) with all types of diversions whether it is night closures, runways blocked or weather .

Pete

Sharklet_321
20th Nov 2018, 04:29
Still surprises me that the LUTON-WATERFORD flights still haven't found an operator to support them.

canberra97
20th Nov 2018, 04:52
Still surprises me that the LUTON-WATERFORD flights still haven't found an operator to support them.

I I'm sorry to say that I think that you may be the only one that's surprised by this!

dvc
20th Nov 2018, 06:35
Maybe if easyjet buys Flybe.. But still highly unlikely.

LTNman
20th Nov 2018, 10:45
Panoramic view showing the construction close to the terminal entrance, the DART site, the second multistory and in the distance taxiway Foxtrot with its de-icing pads that is under construction.
https://i.imgur.com/32AvMVK.jpg

The walk to the drop off zone is quite a trek. From here passengers pass under the ring road.
https://i.imgur.com/TrQPGQQ.jpg

Looks like the passenger route from the underpass to the drop off zone will soon be changing and will pass through the site of the multistory.
https://i.imgur.com/Xl6QoOh.jpg

Work has started on what looks like one of the stairway cores to the multistory, As this is right by the fence of the temporary drop off zone I would conclude that eventually the temporary drop off zone will be reduced in size to accommodate the access road to the new drop off zone that will be on the ground floor of the multistory. As can be seen to the left the last 3 drop off lanes have indeed been reduced with a new fence that has been erected.
https://i.imgur.com/mOQ1dw2.jpg

With the ground being raised to reduce the angle of the slope tarmacking is taking place on the main passenger route to the terminal
https://i.imgur.com/8Hf8fDW.jpg

The last sections of the bus station canopy have arrived onsite.
https://i.imgur.com/RnihahI.jpg

daz211
20th Nov 2018, 12:08
Why not use LTN above the sign instead of LLA this can be very confusing for passengers from countries that use the code of the airport over the airport name this is a big pet hate of mine.
you wouldn’t fly to JFK and see NYA as a code or what can be conceived as a code.

pabely
20th Nov 2018, 12:34
Why not use LTN above the sign instead of LLA this can be very confusing for passengers from countries that use the code of the airport over the airport name this is a big pet hate of mine.
you wouldn’t fly to JFK and see NYA as a code or what can be conceived as a code.

It's all about the London Luton Airport Brand, you will see the same styling throughout in yellows, oranges and pinks, when the DART gets finished the same will be shown at key London termini https://identitydesigned.com/london-luton-airport/

southside bobby
20th Nov 2018, 12:42
Brand?...

Mmmmmm sounds very expensive...someone paying a pretty penny to agencies to devise the obvious perhaps.

LTNman
20th Nov 2018, 14:11
It actually took me months to figure out the logo stood for LLA as I thought it was just a series of random boxes.

Watch the video contained in the link for the story of BS https://icodesign.com/work/london-luton-airport

daz211
20th Nov 2018, 14:48
It's all about the London Luton Airport Brand, you will see the same styling throughout in yellows, oranges and pinks, when the DART gets finished the same will be shown at key London termini https://identitydesigned.com/london-luton-airport/

I still don’t understand why an International Airport wants to brand away from its designated IATA code and brand itself using another Airports code LLA is the code for Luleå Airport (LLA) in Sweden.
If an unsuspecting passengers Google’s LLA the top results show Luton Airport it is not inconceivable the someone could end up in LTN expecting to land at LLA.
Is it even legal to Brand under another Airports code ?

ExpectmorePayless
20th Nov 2018, 16:02
I still don’t understand why an International Airport wants to brand away from its designated IATA code and brand itself using another Airports code LLA is the code for Luleå Airport (LLA) in Sweden.
If an unsuspecting passengers Google’s LLA the top results show Luton Airport it is not inconceivable the someone could end up in LTN expecting to land at LLA.
I wonder if Lulea Airport is such an inhospitable building site. Bet they wish they had bus shelters like ours.😉

daz211
20th Nov 2018, 16:25
I wonder if Lulea Airport is such an inhospitable building site. Bet they wish they had bus shelters like ours.😉
Not sure about it Bus shelter but it has 3 Jet Bridges and if you google Luleå and go to images the place look stunning and I’m definitely adding it to my list of places to visit 👍

Buster the Bear
20th Nov 2018, 22:32

Now you might have expected management to have thought similar, but then again..........

Falcon666
21st Nov 2018, 11:45
Wizzair

New route

Krakow daily w/c 4 April then 2 x daily from 1 May.

That will make Easy happy, they have only recently reintroduced the route from Luton

compton3bravo
21st Nov 2018, 12:32
Must have got a very good deal from the airport authorities.

pabely
21st Nov 2018, 13:02
You are having a laugh now, you will find no airport if you were in Canada using such a scenario, most people using google search use descriptive terms and google is very good in knowing where you are and giving appropriate results.

daz211
21st Nov 2018, 13:21
You are having a laugh now, you will find no airport if you were in Canada using such a scenario, most people using google search use descriptive terms and google is very good in knowing where you are and giving appropriate results.

Americans use IATA codes over Airport names.
But what ever you use it still doesn’t make sense to market and re brand LTN as LLA its madness and should have been brought up in the planning stages I’m not picking on Luton Southend is also a culprit but they have an excuse as they are new and probably don’t even know the importance of the IATA code.

LTNman
21st Nov 2018, 17:40
Photos taken from almost the same spot with the second photo taken a few paces back into the new build exactly 18 year apart to the day. A careful look at the ceiling in the second photo shows the red beams as reference. The first photo was taken with a slight telephoto lens while the second used a slight wide angle lens. In those days the terminal had a clear ceiling design with services below ground.

https://i.imgur.com/8W0LQyX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Qx5sgyi.jpg

compton3bravo
26th Nov 2018, 16:59
I see that the old Monarch HQ has been sold for £4.26 million by the administrators. Secured creditors will be paid including Petrol Jersey Limited which is connected to Greybull will receive £50 million but unsecured creditors will get nothing!

LTNman
27th Nov 2018, 10:17
Yes but we don't know to who. The site is fenced off but work has yet to start. There are no planning applications submitted so I doubt it would be sold for a change of use without getting the wink. At the moment the indications are that it will remain an office block and with its prime location inside the airport it could be speculated it will end up with a link to aviation remaining.

Falcon666
27th Nov 2018, 10:42
Yes but we don't know to who. The site is fenced off but work has yet to start. There are no planning applications submitted so I doubt it would be sold for a change of use without getting the wink. At the moment the indications are that it will remain an office block and with its prime location inside the airport it could be speculated it will end up with a link to aviation remaining.

Warwick Burt info states a 2.5 Million Office refit on behalf of Hampton Brook.
Apart from that no other information but will definitely stay as office block.

southside bobby
27th Nov 2018, 11:20
Hampton Brook general & standard speculative office & warehousing projects.

pabely
28th Nov 2018, 06:34
Direct flights to India next year!

gilesdavies
28th Nov 2018, 11:29
I'll believe it when I see it:
Direct Amritsar, London flight next year: UK MP - The Tribune India (https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/punjab/direct-amritsar-london-flight-next-year-uk-mp/690087.html)

Anyone else able to add any more meat to this?

They refer to providing low-cost and direct services to India from Luton, that really does not go hand-in-hand with the airport infrastructure... Low cost to me would mean a high density configuration aircraft and that along with an aircraft type that could fly direct/non-stop would struggle to operate from airports runway!

daz211
28th Nov 2018, 11:53
I'll believe it when I see it:
Direct Amritsar, London flight next year: UK MP - The Tribune India (https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/punjab/direct-amritsar-london-flight-next-year-uk-mp/690087.html)

Anyone else able to add any more meat to this?
As long as it’s not Flypop . Com.
They've been promising this route for about 2 years now but to STN not LTN.

pabely
28th Nov 2018, 12:52
As long as it’s not Flypop . Com.
They've been promising this route for about 2 years now but to STN not LTN.

But whom might it be Jet Airways, can't see IndiGo or Spice having the correct equipment for such a route.

G-AZUK
28th Nov 2018, 15:34
But whom might it be Jet Airways, can't see IndiGo or Spice having the correct equipment for such a route.
Indigo reported to have requested LGW slots with a one-stop 321 operation via GYD
maybe looking at Luton as an alternative?

Buster the Bear
28th Nov 2018, 17:06
Indigo were in the press recently about launching routes from India to the UK with a stop at I think Azerbaijan? Report mentioned Gatwick.

Falcon666
28th Nov 2018, 18:29
Indigo were in the press recently about launching routes from India to the UK with a stop at I think Azerbaijan? Report mentioned Gatwick.

Buster, I am sure that’s what the poster before was saying.

If this route does indeed happen the likelihood is it will be Indigo.
They will be taking delivery of their first A321neo at year end I believe and with their intention to fly to the UK already stated it does seem to make sense.Would be a long old journey though with the stopover, some what 10+ hrs in a single aisle, high density layout.

Big Indian population around Luton so they will probably be hoping this does happen.

Buster the Bear
28th Nov 2018, 18:40
I thought that I had deleted my post above, but looks like I didn't.

Buster the Bear
28th Nov 2018, 18:41
IndiGo (https://centreforaviation.com/data/profiles/airlines/indigo-6e) reportedly aims to commence service to London Gatwick Airport (https://centreforaviation.com/data/profiles/airports/london-gatwick-airport-lgw) and other destinations in Europe (https://centreforaviation.com/data/profiles/regions/europe) via Tbilisi (https://centreforaviation.com/data/profiles/airports/tbilisi-international-airport-tbs) and/or Baku (https://centreforaviation.com/data/profiles/airports/baku-heydar-aliyev-international-airport-gyd) in Mar-2019 (Business Standard/TNN, 15/16-Nov-2018). The LCC plans to operate the proposed service to Gatwick (https://centreforaviation.com/data/profiles/airports/london-gatwick-airport-lgw) with A321 aircraft.

pabely
28th Nov 2018, 18:49
I thought it interesting that the original article quoted an MP for Slough, obviously more than Luton based Indian community involved. Just to fuel the fire, will WOW ever take their A330NEOs, if not, prime for such a route by someone taking the frames!

LTNman
28th Nov 2018, 19:37
Big Indian population around Luton

Don't think there is. There is a big Pakistani based community in Luton.

Falcon666
28th Nov 2018, 19:53
Don't think there is. There is a big Pakistani based community in Luton.

Thanks for correcting me, always led to believe there was and I was totally wrong.
Mostly Pakistani and Bangladeshi, mind you Amritsar is near the Pakistan border so maybe not all is lost!! (Joke)

pabely
28th Nov 2018, 23:17
Big Indian population around Luton so they will probably be hoping this does happen.

Of course I meant Luton Airports catchment area which includes West & North London rather than Luton town itself.

pabely
30th Nov 2018, 23:42
Scheme extended around network, to now include LLA, making it on par with Gatwick Express.

LTNman
1st Dec 2018, 05:59
The announcement says the Oyster card will be extended to Luton Airport Parkway but makes no mention of Luton Airport meaning a paper ticket will still have to be bought for the bus link or combined journey.

I also wonder how seamless the Dart rail link will be and at what cost to passengers? With the council coughing up £225 million it won’t be cheap for a link that is used by less than 3 million passengers a year at the moment.

Yesterday the rail link from London was shut down with no services running out of St Pancras for many hours due to a signal fault. I had to pick my son up from Hitchin and found a massive line of passengers trying to get to the airport with no replacement bus service offered and an empty taxi rank. I saved the travel plans of 2 random unconnected women who accepted the offer of a lift to the mid term car park when their hands went up first. One made it with 45 minutes to spare but both only had hand luggage so should have been fine. I think most in that long queue were stuffed.

pabely
1st Dec 2018, 10:20
I did wonder that but report does say "Rail Minister Andrew Jones said: "This is about making access to the capital even easier for commuters and other rail travellers, including visitors to the UK arriving at Luton Airport." so whether that includes travel up the hill as well, we will have to wait and see.

dvc
1st Dec 2018, 10:41
I thought it interesting that the original article quoted an MP for Slough, obviously more than Luton based Indian community involved. Just to fuel the fire, will WOW ever take their A330NEOs, if not, prime for such a route by someone taking the frames!
WOW seems to be going out of business.

LTNman
1st Dec 2018, 11:48
I did wonder that but report does say "Rail Minister Andrew Jones said: "This is about making access to the capital even easier for commuters and other rail travellers, including visitors to the UK arriving at Luton Airport." so whether that includes travel up the hill as well, we will have to wait and see.

Best not to mention the 4 non stop trains an hour the airport did not get. At least though that the new Thameslink stock with its 12 carriages and the ability to walk through the train has made a big difference.

DC3 Dave
1st Dec 2018, 11:49

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-46397470

The report says the scheme will extend to include Luton Parkway in early 2019, then the airport later the same year.

LTNman
1st Dec 2018, 11:58
Hope it all goes to plan then. Wonder why Stansted did not get it unless they already have it?

ClearLand08
1st Dec 2018, 13:26
I see Ryanair are up to their new 6 based aircraft which they announced in the summer. Also, according to flightradar24 Wizzair have 46 departures today versus just 35 for easyJet. I know it's a Saturday in early December, but still..

pabely
1st Dec 2018, 15:08
Hope it all goes to plan then. Wonder why Stansted did not get it unless they already have it?
No, nor LHR.

DC3 Dave
1st Dec 2018, 18:48
You certainly can use PAYG oyster cards to travel between LHR and the rest of the capital, or use a contactless bank card, or a travelcard that includes zone 6. You can't however use them on the Heathrow Express because that service is not controlled by Tfl and no agreement is in place to do so.

southside bobby
1st Dec 2018, 19:10
LTN/STN/SEN hopefully all included within Oyster Card zoning commencing at the latest for Euro 2020.

Oyster Cards have been available for purchase from Stansted Express for use ex train from Tottenham Hale & Liverpool St for some years.

Skipness One Foxtrot
2nd Dec 2018, 13:33
No, nor LHR.
You can use OYSTER on both Tube and with TfL now running Heathrow Connect you can pay a premium to use that, just not on the soon to be pointless Heathrow Express.

LGS6753
2nd Dec 2018, 17:52
Inaugural Ryanair Barcelona yesterday, just a few months after Vueling pulled the route.

Falcon666
2nd Dec 2018, 18:32
Blueair start their code share with Cyprus Airways on the Larnaca route tomorrow.

pabely
2nd Dec 2018, 19:41
LTN/STN/SEN hopefully all included within Oyster Card zoning commencing at the latest for Euro.
If there are any evening games it will be fun getting a flight home after the games!

compton3bravo
2nd Dec 2018, 21:06
A total of seven games will be played at Wembley in Euro 2020 - three host games, a last 16 tie, two semi finals and the final.

Falcon666
3rd Dec 2018, 16:51
Out to Tender today.
Project management to plan , procure and deliver construction of a south east stand.
Well that didn’t take long did it!

LTNman
3rd Dec 2018, 17:31
Stand as in single but seeing it is costing around £2.5 million it would maybe suggest it will be bigger than parking just an Airbus and will be used for remote long term parking of biz jets and could be attached to taxiway Foxtrot. Harrods and Signature aprons are signified by a stand number.

Falcon666
3rd Dec 2018, 19:48
Stand as in single but seeing it is costing around £2.5 million it would maybe suggest it will be bigger than parking just an Airbus and will be used for remote long term parking of biz jets and could be attached to taxiway Foxtrot. Harrods and Signature aprons are signified by a stand number.

If you read the Contract Notice section 11.2.4 they do actually state Stands.

I believe this is the area designated between the East Apron and South Stands which will become available when MSCP2 is built. Just an apron as Lot 1 states a value of £700k for it.Lot 2 ( local works) doesn’t have a value inserted but states the whole project will be capped at £2.5 Million.So what will the local work be at circa £1.8 Million.
A Pier extension? how much did the new Pier cost I wonder!

LTNman
3rd Dec 2018, 20:03
I must be going senile, I have mentioned before the probability of an apron going on the temp drop off area and then I forget about it. If a pier reached this apron why stop there and not continue it to the south stands although it would be a long walk.

compton3bravo
4th Dec 2018, 05:32
Good to see Gibraltar back on the departure board. First easyJet flight today.

LTNman
4th Dec 2018, 17:51
Loads were around 90% outbound and over 90% inbound according to a local news report.

compton3bravo
5th Dec 2018, 07:15
According to Gibraltar TV a total of 125 on the Luton-Gib leg, no details on the Gib-Luton leg. Usual water cannon welcome etc.

PapaEchoNovember
5th Dec 2018, 12:34
Does anyone have a document/plans or information relating to the current construction work at the airport (e.g. the retaining wall in front of the control tower by the dual carridgeway, the new taxi way or stands etc)

I found the documentation for the long term plan of the airport, however I can't find anything for the short term.

It may have been posted in this thread already, but I can't seem to find it-- thanks.

pabely
5th Dec 2018, 13:03
I see previous LLA operator Surf Air Europe have shut up shop, was it wise to decamp to LCY?

southside bobby
5th Dec 2018, 13:53
Surf Air...
Appears more to it than just a base switch...

LTNman
5th Dec 2018, 13:55
According to Gibraltar TV a total of 125 on the Luton-Gib leg, no details on the Gib-Luton leg. Usual water cannon welcome etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFBbZUppcD8

LTNman
5th Dec 2018, 13:59
Does anyone have a document/plans or information relating to the current construction work at the airport (e.g. the retaining wall in front of the control tower by the dual carridgeway, the new taxi way or stands etc)

I found the documentation for the long term plan of the airport, however I can't find anything for the short term.

It may have been posted in this thread already, but I can't seem to find it-- thanks.

The short term work is just temporary works so no plans have been published but the retaining wall in front of the control tower is for the temporary rerouting of the road to allow for a cut and cover tunnel to be dug for the Dart rail link. Once the tunnel is built the road will be put back to its present alignment.

daz211
5th Dec 2018, 14:23
I see previous LLA operator Surf Air Europe have shut up shop, was it wise to decamp to LCY?
Surf Air have never flown to LLA. I presume you mean LTN.
Can we all be more professional than the incompetent team that have decided to rebrand LTN as LLA.

LTNman
5th Dec 2018, 14:26
Easy mistake to make. As the airport is called London Luton Airport they call themselves LLA

daz211
5th Dec 2018, 14:40
Easy mistake to make. As the airport is called London Luton Airport they call themselves LLA
This is my point ...
All Airports are given an IATA code it is the Code the airport should be known as around the world, I have no problem with London Luton Airport but when people start to use a different 3 letter code for an airport problem start occurring.
One small but significant problem is if LLA becomes the norm and a passenger flys AMS-LTN but his bag ends up somewhere remote a RUSH bag label could be issued to LLA instead of LTN meaning the passenger will be longer without his bag or even worse the bag could just end up sitting in LLA and would never get reunited to the passenger.

Buster the Bear
5th Dec 2018, 15:49
Who is paying for the new stands, Concessionaire or the Luton public?

PapaEchoNovember
5th Dec 2018, 15:50
The short term work is just temporary works so no plans have been published but the retaining wall in front of the control tower is for the temporary rerouting of the road to allow for a cut and cover tunnel to be dug for the Dart rail link. Once the tunnel is built the road will be put back to its present alignment.

Aha I see, Thank you.

Expressflight
5th Dec 2018, 16:30
This is my point ...
All Airports are given an IATA code it is the Code the airport should be known as around the world, I have no problem with London Luton Airport but when people start to use a different 3 letter code for an airport problem start occurring.
One small but significant problem is if LLA becomes the norm and a passenger flys AMS-LTN but his bag ends up somewhere remote a RUSH bag label could be issued to LLA instead of LTN meaning the passenger will be longer without his bag or even worse the bag could just end up sitting in LLA and would never get reunited to the passenger.
Very annoying if your bags were sent to Sweden but I doubt it would ever happen.

daz211
5th Dec 2018, 16:54
I speak from experience I worked very closely with a airline at STN that kept receiving Rush bags or if you prefer expedite bags from a Italian airport marked with the designator IATA code of STN it took almost a week to find out the bags should have been rush bags for Stavanger airport in Sweden code SVG.

LTNman
5th Dec 2018, 18:05
Who is paying for the new stands, Concessionaire or the Luton public?

Good question. All the latest projects are being funded by LLAL who are borrowing the money from the council who are then borrowing the money themselves. This is just part one as the terminal that was meant to be maxed out at 18 million would need modifying again to add another 3 million passengers. Planning permission would have to be granted as the council limit is set at 18 million at the moment.

Looking back on old photos the oldest photo I can find of the start of the upgrade goes back to the winter of 2014/15 when trees were cut down by the fire station. The temporary arrivals area opened in May 2015 so this is a long slog. The airport is a mass of cranes, compounds and building sites at the moment with construction activities as far as the eye can see.

pabely
5th Dec 2018, 19:11
This is my point ...
Don't look at the Facebook, Instagram or Twitter feeds then, it it littered with LLA, along with buses, airport vehicles, marketing materials. Previous to this we had LIA. Like it or not LLA is here, introspective to what gets printed on your luggage label.

LTNman
5th Dec 2018, 20:22
Seems that the contractor building the DART link is in financial trouble so will they survive another 3 years allowing the project to finish. This could open up a whole can of worms for the airport with contrcators and suppliers wanting up front payments from Kier

Kier shares plunge on news of rights issue to tackle £624m debt mountain - News - GCR (http://www.globalconstructionreview.com/news/kier-shares-plunge-news-rights-issue-tackle-624m-d/)

Falcon666
5th Dec 2018, 20:54
Seems that the contractor building the DART link is in financial trouble so will they survive another 3 years allowing the project to finish. This could open up a whole can of worms for the airport with contrcators and suppliers wanting up front payments from Kier

Kier shares plunge on news of rights issue to tackle £624m debt mountain - News - GCR (http://www.globalconstructionreview.com/news/kier-shares-plunge-news-rights-issue-tackle-624m-d/)

Fortunately it is a joint venture with Volker Fitzpatrick, I’m not sure who is doing which parts of the construction but not all the eggs are in one basket on this one!!

LTNman
6th Dec 2018, 10:44
The embankment has been removed on the approach road to allow the road to be temporarily diverted for the construction of a cut and cover tunnel for the DART
https://i.imgur.com/N4KcWt6.jpg

The roof for the DART maintenance area that will adjoin the station is under construction. Later the space underneath will be dug out.
https://i.imgur.com/xrqM46p.jpg

The first stairwell for the new multistory is almost complete. A new passenger route that is yet to open straddles the multistory. In the background the temporary drop off area is looking like it will become a new apron as a tender process is under way.
https://i.imgur.com/O6W6O4r.jpg

As can be seen the new multistory will be taller than the existing multistory due to the height of the ceiling of the ground floor that will accommodate the new drop off area.
https://i.imgur.com/UYDHweb.jpg

The alternative walk to the terminal that avoids the steps and steeper slope has opened together with its original fairground hotdog type kiosks. The temporary entrance to the terminal has been replaced by windows. Inside the terminal clearly someone has been reading Pprune, as the missing floor tiles that were replaced with filler over the last 19 years are now being replaced with new tiles.
https://i.imgur.com/02skftZ.jpg

For unknown reasons a section of tarmac has been painted dirty white.
https://i.imgur.com/B0mGXGN.jpg

The bus station canopy is now complete. Work has started on building the last of the bus bays on the far side, as that area was being used as a vehicle access point to the terminal infill.
https://i.imgur.com/VqQUnv3.jpg

Finally, how it was back in 2015
https://i.imgur.com/aocEIXD.jpg

pabely
6th Dec 2018, 10:59
Inside the terminal clearly someone has been reading Pprune, as the missing floor tiles that were replaced with filler over the last 19 years are now being replaced with new tiles.

Thanks as ever for the update, I bet you are particularly pleased about the above!

LTNman
6th Dec 2018, 11:21
It was a thorn in my side for years. They are not all done yet as there are hundreds of tiles that need replacing but a few seem to be being replaced each night.

I could be wrong but with the end in sight to the terminal upgrade there is not a hint that the ceiling will be covered in planking, not that it hid much on the small sections that were installed. With a low ceiling in the new terminal infill it looks awful with everything that should be hidden on show.

PAXboy
6th Dec 2018, 20:19
Any detail on this: BBC local news (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-46445830)
Luton Airport cleaners start week-long walkout
Airport cleaners earning below the minimum wage are staging a week-long walkout in a dispute with bosses.

The seven-day strike at London Luton Airport is part of the workers' ongoing campaign for higher pay. Sasse, which employs the cleaners, pays £7.83 an hour, according to union Unite. A recent pay deal means that by 2021, they will still earn less than the Real Living Wage of £9, it said. Sasse said it had offered a "a pay rise above National Minimum Wage".

The strike began at 18.30 GMT on Tuesday.

CCFAIRPORT
7th Dec 2018, 11:45

It was 114 pax LTN-GIB
and 126 pax GIB-LTN

Buster the Bear
7th Dec 2018, 18:40
https://www.btnews.co.uk/article/14001

cj241101
8th Dec 2018, 09:46
I have to agree with most of the article, apart from this bit "Passengers vote with their feet. While Luton has a commanding position with the M1 running close by to the west and the A1 not far away in the easterly direction, it is expected to move something fewer than 16m passengers this year"

Passengers vote with their bank balance. Those travelling low-cost (nearly everyone) will put up with poor - or worse - facilities if they are only paying peanuts for their flight. So long as passenger numbers continue to rise (already more than the quoted "fewer than 16m this year"), airport management will happily ignore the adverse publicity which, as the article says, has put it at the bottom of the UK airport league table for decades. As someone who has worked at the airport for many years, I despair at the (mostly justified) complaints I come across, but I guess my comments above are vindicated by the graphs below.

Here we have the LTN and STN passenger numbers for the last 20 years:-
LTN
https://i.imgur.com/jLIEOVn.png?1

STN
https://i.imgur.com/Vm6FIVw.png

Stating the obvious but STN is only a couple of million better than its peak in 2007, while LTN is nearly 6 million above its peak in 2008 (data from Wikipedia).

southside bobby
8th Dec 2018, 10:37
Goes to prove numbers can prove anything depending on how it is presented & by whom of course.

Have to admire though the spin & almost complacency contributed above.

davidjohnson6
8th Dec 2018, 11:03
Perhaps somewhat disingenuous to present 2 graphs for visual comparison but with very different values on the vertical axis - makes Luton appear initially a lot stronger at 1st glance until you look at the numbers carefully

That said I agree with cj's comment that although the passenger experience at Luton is generally lousy, passenger volumes and destination choice has grown significantly over the last 10 years and people are not voting away from Luton with their feet

LTNman
8th Dec 2018, 14:46
Luton is clearly aiming for the bottom of the market and has been very successful. Just take the hotdog type kiosks for example that adorn the walk to the terminal. In fact the airport loves them so much there are tenders out for additional ones but inside the terminal this time. Much of the finish of the airport leaves much to be desired and the new build has in fact made customers subconscious perceptions worse. The upgrade was all about adding numbers and nothing else.

Saying that more seating has been added in departures but still less additional seats than found on a single 319. Note the clutter free ceiling of the 1999 build.
https://i.imgur.com/lXlUvzS.jpg

BHX5DME
8th Dec 2018, 14:46
1978635.64%1979611.96%1980737.63%1981741.99%1982581.64%19834 92.36%1984337.77%1985297.79%1986351.41%1987348.56%1988255.40 %1989207.09%1990228.84%1991114.64%199283.96%199369.27%199455 .48%199546.67%199650.06%199759.67%199860.22%199955.93%200052 .08%200147.81%200240.43%200336.31%200436.04%200541.58%200639 .79%200741.75%200845.53%200945.70%201047.05%201152.69%201255 .04%201354.32%201452.52%201554.50%201660.19%201761.73%

BHX5DME
8th Dec 2018, 14:51
Luton as % of Stansted Pax 1978-2017

1978 635.64%
1979 611.96%
1980 737.63%
1981 741.99%
1982 581.64%
1983 492.36%
1984 337.77%
1985 297.79%
1986 351.41%
1987 348.56%
1988 255.40%
1989 207.09%
1990 228.84%
1991 114.64%
1992 83.96%
1993 69.27%
1994 55.48%
1995 46.67%
1996 50.06%
1997 59.67%
1998 60.22%
1999 55.93%
2000 52.08%
2001 47.81%
2002 40.43%
2003 36.31%
2004 36.04%
2005 41.58%
2006 39.79%
2007 41.75%
2008 45.53%
2009 45.70%
2010 47.05%
2011 52.69%
2012 55.04%
2013 54.32%
2014 52.52%
2015 54.50%
2016 60.19%
2017 61.73%

cj241101
8th Dec 2018, 15:13
I would point out that I work AT the airport not FOR the airport. The graphs above (as published by Wikipedia - not my work) were meant to indicate that both airports have shown a large growth in passenger numbers since the general slump in air travel 10 years or so ago. My apologies to anyone who interprets it as another STN versus LTN (or LTN versus STN) post. The BTNews article, whilst accurate in much of its criticism, implies that passenger numbers are in decline (ONLY 16m per year, voting with feet etc.). So I thought I would at least put the record straight on that bit as the reality is the opposite.

LTNman
8th Dec 2018, 15:17
Luton has been constrained by a lack of capacity over the years right from the days Ryanair moving most of its business to Stansted right up to the present day when Luton could not offer Jet 2 an alternative to Stansted. If Luton had the land Luton could well be much busier with Stansted the smaller of the two.

cj241101
8th Dec 2018, 15:24
Note the clutter free ceiling of the 1999 build.

And not a broken floor tile in sight....
LTNman, I think this was probably the 2005/6 rebuild as it looks like the upstairs departure lounge which opened around then.

southside bobby
8th Dec 2018, 16:21
A much more interesting & illuminating portrayal of the relevant figures by BHX5DME...

It is interesting with Jet2 being mentioned here that LGW & even SEN have also laid claim to losing or missing out with the base so not all can be correct one wonders.