PDA

View Full Version : Luton-9

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Falcon666
27th Jan 2018, 12:25
For everybody that loves a good artist impression of LTN there is now a video on the airports website of the new DART link !

Boeing737-8
27th Jan 2018, 12:42
With Freebird doing this weekly flight as well Travel service to Tenerife does this count as 2 airlines for the airport? We counted Titan as an airline for doing the Saturday ski flights.

Falcon666
27th Jan 2018, 12:48
It's better than that
This summer will see
Alba Star Sunday arr17.00 dep 17.50
Air Europa Friday arr 10.00 dep 11.00
Travel Service Tue arr 11.55 dep 12.50
Freebird Wed arr 09.15 dep 10.15

Oh and Avion Express doing Thomas Cook flights

A little bit of variety for a change

Spanish eyes
27th Jan 2018, 13:52
For everybody that loves a good artist impression of LTN there is now a video on the airports website of the new DART link !

Shame that you tell us about it but don't provide a link.:confused:

LTNman
27th Jan 2018, 14:02
I didn't find it either but I found this video about the taxiway tie in https://vimeo.com/244028940 and the airports 2018 newsletter https://online.flippingbook.com/view/735685/

Falcon666
27th Jan 2018, 14:30
Transforming LLA (http://transforminglla.com/progress-in-pictures)

Sorry guys, tried to link it but didn't work, trying again.
It's at the top of the transforming LLA section with the photos

LTNman
27th Jan 2018, 16:07
It is indeed based on the artists impressions and if it looks half as good as the video I will be well happy:ok:

The text for the video states that work is well underway except it hasn’t started yet apart from 3rd party work to move airside fences etc. The contractor has yet to arrive onsite and according to last year’s schedule the work has started late.

Buster the Bear
27th Jan 2018, 16:18
I wonder if it will end up looking that good?

FRatSTN
27th Jan 2018, 17:22
With Freebird doing this weekly flight as well Travel service to Tenerife does this count as 2 airlines for the airport?

It's better than that
This summer will see
Alba Star Sunday arr17.00 dep 17.50
Air Europa Friday arr 10.00 dep 11.00
Travel Service Tue arr 11.55 dep 12.50
Freebird Wed arr 09.15 dep 10.15

A little bit of variety for a change

Before getting too carried away with excitement, do remember they are just TUI flights plain and simple- The only difference literally is the aircraft, and crew possibly.

These are not in any way new airlines for the airport and on a commercial basis is no different, nor does it give the airport a more diverse clientele than if they were all on TUI aircraft.

Great maybe if you're a spotter but that literally is the only difference it makes. - Total TUI traffic is still probably down I'd imagine year-on-year and with Monarch gone, LTN unfortunately is probably the least diverse in any true sense than, at least I, have probably even known.

Falcon666
27th Jan 2018, 18:20
FRatSTN
All your points are correct, TUI passenger figures will be lower in S18 with them removing one based a/c.
Those four extra flights in no way make up for the loss.(just a variety of airlines)
What will be interesting this summer is that nobody has added any extra flights to compensate for the loss of MON on the Palma, Malaga, Gibraltar, Faro etc
STN has a multitude of options/ carriers that will be plying those routes but LTN is virtually reliant on EasyJet.
No competition from Wizz, totally different markets except Cyprus
This will probably pay dividends for EZY with a virtual monopoly this summer and looking at some of the high season prices already I think they will be more than happy with the situation.
I personally just hope LTN becomes a more pleasurable experience to fly from this year(fingers more than crossed)

canberra97
27th Jan 2018, 20:02
Buster

Regarding the Station and DART.

Going by the previous videos and CGI images of Luton Airports redevelopment I would say no, were all get a good idea of how it will actually look like once that 'fantastic' new canopy is finally added to the front of the terminal extension.

LTNman
27th Jan 2018, 20:47
Can't see how it would be a bad experience. I have yet to go on any driveless train that wasn't enjoyable. With elevated and subterranean stations, bridges and tunnels it should be a good experience.

LTNman
28th Jan 2018, 05:47
The airport has released a tender to redevelop an existing office building “within the airport terminal complex” and convert it to a hotel which is “within walking distance of the airports terminals”. Work would start in 2019.

Note the word terminals and not terminal. I assume they mean within the CTA but the only office buildings within the CTA are the airports HQ located between the tower and Easyland, which was a former Britannia Airways building and easyJet’s offices that front their hangar.

The airport’s HQ is not a big building in terms of its footprint or height, as there is only one additional floor above the ground floor so would not have many rooms. This just leaves the offices of easyjet who have been keen to move for sometime. Could this second scenario really be the case and that easyjet move out just leaving their hangar to carry on?

Hotels are another of the airports major growth areas. A second Ibis Hotel opened a few months ago with a Marriott hotel under construction now.

planedrive
28th Jan 2018, 07:54
Interesting. Of course there is one large office building on airport property that is semi-vacant (Monarch Headquarters) which is within walking distance but would be pushing it to be described as 'within the airport terminal complex'. Is there a link to these tenders or do you have to log in to see them?

Falcon666
28th Jan 2018, 09:12
https://in-tendhost.co.uk/llaol/aspx/Tenders/Current

Planedrive , this is the link .Hopefully it works.
There isn't much more info than LTNMan has already given.
I tend to think your idea of the Monarch HQ makes more sense, the wording could be a bit misleading.

LTNman
28th Jan 2018, 14:13
I actually thought of Monach's HQ and mentioned it in the original post but then I deleted the paragraph when I was this.

https://propertylink.estatesgazette.com/property-details/6310429-for-sale-monarch-airlines-hq-former-in-luton

Seems that Monarch owned their building and the fact that it is up for sale/ to let as an office seems to remove it from the airports tender.

Their other office block is also up to let

https://propertylink.estatesgazette.com/property-details/6311143-offices-available-4-109-12-387-sq-ft

So we are back to the airport HQ and easyjet

gilesdavies
28th Jan 2018, 16:40
Seeing as TUI is reducing the Luton base to two aircraft this summer from the previous three aircraft it has been for the last 10+ years, I wonder if they are now regretting this move?

If the third aircraft is already allocated to another airport for the summer, it is hard at this stage to go back on those plans. But seeing all these additional TUI "W" flights and sub-charters being added only 4-5 months before the summer schedule starts, would say to me TUI underestimated the demand from Luton, by originally cutting the base down to two.

Traditionally Thomson/TUI has always only used a very small amount of sub-charter flights, and this has usually only been from the quieter regional airports where they might only have demand for 2-3 flights a week for their whole summer programme.

On the talk of summer charters, what the heck has happened to Thomas Cook Airlines?! Last year they announced an A320 base at Luton and when you go to the Thomas Cook Airlines website, you can only book TCX flights to Antalya and Dalaman, which are to be operated weekly to both.

Last year they did something similar announcing 3-4 routes from Luton to be operated by their own metal, and the only route that took to the skies was to Corfu, and that route has even been scrapped this year!

When you look on their holiday booking website, they offer multiple destinations from the airport, but using easyJet for these routes! The tour operator seems to be all over the place with Luton and unsure what it wants to do.

I struggle to understand why Luton fares so badly on the charter flight front, when airports in the Midlands go from strength to strength and the same at Stansted too. The low cost sector has obviously had an impact, but all these other airports have large low cost airline bases too, and you would think Jet2 would especially have an knock on effect to them. But TUI and Thomas Cook continue to have larger bases at Birmingham, East Mids and Stansted to what Luton has.

forest
28th Jan 2018, 18:16
The airport has released a tender to redevelop an existing office building “within the airport terminal complex” and convert it to a hotel which is “within walking distance of the airports terminals”. Work would start in 2019.

Note the word terminals and not terminal. I assume they mean within the CTA but the only office buildings within the CTA are the airports HQ located between the tower and Easyland, which was a former Britannia Airways building and easyJet’s offices that front their hangar.

The airport’s HQ is not a big building in terms of its footprint or height, as there is only one additional floor above the ground floor so would not have many rooms. This just leaves the offices of easyjet who have been keen to move for sometime. Could this second scenario really be the case and that easyjet move out just leaving their hangar to carry on?

Hotels are another of the airports major growth areas. A second Ibis Hotel opened a few months ago with a Marriott hotel under construction now.

The Pizza Hut building that was signature T2 for a while? Walking distance to Signature and Harrods terminals.:rolleyes:

Boeing737-8
28th Jan 2018, 18:48
"On the talk of summer charters, what the heck has happened to Thomas Cook Airlines?! Last year they announced an A320 base at Luton and when you go to the Thomas Cook Airlines website, you can only book TCX flights to Antalya and Dalaman, which are to be operated weekly to both."

Thomas Cook are doing 2 weekly on both AYT and DLM. Both seem to be a321 operated from Manchester.

TUI will be very close to last year seat capacity and maybe even more this year. Many days TUI planes were sitting around compared to this year full of movements plus extra flights being done by W and other airlines.

LTNman
28th Jan 2018, 19:14
The Pizza Hut building that was signature T2 for a while? Walking distance to Signature and Harrods terminals

Not sure what is happening now to Signature's terminal 2 except it isn't being used as a terminal. They keep their lights on though upstairs.

It is that building that stops Taxiway Echo handling anything bigger than a 757.

AirportPlanner1
28th Jan 2018, 21:12
I struggle to understand why Luton fares so badly on the charter flight front, when airports in the Midlands go from strength to strength and the same at Stansted too. The low cost sector has obviously had an impact, but all these other airports have large low cost airline bases too, and you would think Jet2 would especially have an knock on effect to them. But TUI and Thomas Cook continue to have larger bases at Birmingham, East Mids and Stansted to what Luton has.

In my opinion going back to the 80s/90s and maybe earlier LTN overachieved on the charter front which could be by virtue of having Britannia and Monarch's headquarters there. What you're seeing now is a correction, exacerbated by the arrival and massive growth of Jet2 at the three airports you mention which can only draw potential LTN passengers away. There are only so many people to go around.

LTN's strength is also a weakness, in that it's well located for a huge catchment. But that catchment overlaps with STN/BHX/EMA and other London airports. A selling point of package holidays is convenience. We saw that with the massive supplements slapped on regional departures and daytime flights. So for better spread, STN and BHX/EMA would have to be the favoured airports for East Anglia and the Midlands respectively. LTN just gets caught in the middle, but the flipside is that it's very attractive for 'scheduled' routes and that's a much bigger market now.

LTNman
29th Jan 2018, 05:14
Luton’s biggest market is London and not markets served by EMA and BHX. Even for my neighbours who live 5 minutes from Luton's terminal when it comes to saving money a trip to Gatwick by road or rail is often made when it comes to IT holidays.

Luton’s position has not been helped by years of summer overcrowding in the terminal, an airport that can take an hour to travel the last mile and a shuttle bus fleet that up until the start of winter was woefully inadequate and is not great even today.

A bad experience is long remembered and for Luton there are a lot of alternatives when it comes to taking the kids away for a two week break.

LGS6753
29th Jan 2018, 08:37
Luton has fared badly in respect of IT operations for 25 years or more. I suspect the airport authorities, having discovered that scheduled services operate year-round, favour them in negotiations.
Last year, the airport handled over 1,000,000 passengers in November. I seem to remember in the IT years when, in November, there were two commercial departures in a day.

Buster the Bear
29th Jan 2018, 10:31
I believe that the office space in the 'Pizza Hut' is being utilised by the airport operator?

AirportPlanner1
29th Jan 2018, 11:45
Luton has fared badly in respect of IT operations for 25 years or more

I disagree. LGW, BHX, MAN and GLA were clearly the focus. I'd say that compared to other airports LTN did really well. I remember for much of the 90s the entire STN-based IT operation was only as big as Britannia was at LTN.

Where LTN seemed to fare less well was non-IT charters and IT charters for inbound tourists, e.g. the Scandinavian shoppers, Canada (Wardair etc), USA (ATA, Rich International and others), oil flights to Algeria and Kazakhstan, MOD to Bruggen and Munster. They all favoured STN. Some of that was due to runway length but a lot wasn't.

Falcon666
29th Jan 2018, 13:35
Hotel
So judging by the last few posts are we assuming that the Airport HQ is moving to the "Pizza Hut" building and the current HQ is going to be turned into a Hotel?

I agree that the footprint of that building isn't by any means big and I am struggling to see the viability given the size of all the newer Hotels that have been built on the approach to the Airport.
Then there is the car parking issue, use of the multi storey or the spaces under the Tower!

Thinking out loud does anybody think that Easy might be tempted to move into the old Monarch HQ?

LTNman
29th Jan 2018, 16:56
Would it be big enough? Easyjet had to convert one of the hangar aircraft bays into mezzanine floors for offices. They also operate their academy from a separate building and run a fleet of buses between the two and their car park so I guess they would like to occupy just one building

Moving the airport HQ building to Signature terminal two would make sense as no doubt the bosses don't like having to queue to get out of the CTA with the common man. Find it had to see how viable a small hotel would be within the CTA. Most of airport hotels start from around 120 rooms spread over several floors on large pockets of land.

Buster the Bear
29th Jan 2018, 18:33
Constellation House turned into a hotel! Blimey!

LTNman
29th Jan 2018, 20:21
So how many bedrooms they could squeeze out of here would depend I guess on whether they needed one window or two.

https://i.imgur.com/Wvyf9r6.jpg

PAXboy
29th Jan 2018, 20:40
For overnight stays? 1 window. They might also have researched whether the foundations will take another storey - or two. It looks like an older builing so it might have been built 'properly' and take a vertical extension. A hotel room I stayed in at SIN a couple of years had a window that looked into a courtyard and was very dark. I didn't care, I was there to sleep for 8 hours.

LTNman
29th Jan 2018, 21:02
Narrow rooms I guess with one window but convenient for those arriving the night before by public transport.

Falcon666
29th Jan 2018, 21:04
Give Stelios a call, lick of orange paint.Airport can't say it wouldn't blend in with its surroundings.

Powerjet1
29th Jan 2018, 21:08
Easy Hotel ?

GLIDERMAN
30th Jan 2018, 06:58
There is a hotel chain called Yotel, they have hotel rooms in the terminal buildings, they are cabins, with no windows at all. There is certainly one at Heathrow, & a similar one at gatwick. they are just for an overnight stay, & a quick early departure in the morning.

Spanish eyes
30th Jan 2018, 07:11
The building must have been offered to Easyjet for additional office space to ease their shortage as it is next to their HQ, which maybe suggests they do indeed intend to move out of the CTA.

LGS6753
30th Jan 2018, 10:07
https://blueswandaily.com/airport-insight-london-luton-airport/

An interesting statistical analysis of current operations on Blue Swan Daily today.

gilesdavies
30th Jan 2018, 22:59
Its looking like a minimum of two of Wizz Air's LTN based fleet this summer will be A321's...

Just been looking at some flights for the summer and it appears the airline is feeling very bullish, both their new routes to Athens and Larnaca will be operated by the A321! Also on four days of the week, Wizz Air will be operating the LTN-LCA route twice daily with an A321.

Just booked tickets to Athens for £21 return!
(Obviously that is bare bone tickets with no optional extras.)

I'm curious where Wizz Air are seeing all the demand for the Larnaca route(?), as it has never really of been the best seller of routes from the airport. Also there isn't much in the way of advertising I'm seeing for the new or existing routes for the airline.

You have Blue Air operating 3-4 flights a week and Monarch dabbled on the route, trying different frequencies before settling to 1-2 fights a week, dependng on time of year.

Im sure easyJet tried it a few years back, before just remaining on the Paphos route.

On the days Blue Air are operating the route (with their 737-800s) and the two A321's operated by Wizz, we'll be seeing up to 1300 passengers flying this route. Thats excluding any charter airlines flying operating on the route!

Seems like Wizz have also upgraded the Split route to an A321 too, and also this year it is operating daily through the summer, as when I used it last year was only 3-4 flights a week. They are also head to head with easyJet on this route too!

LTNman
31st Jan 2018, 04:29
I'm curious where Wizz Air are seeing all the demand for the Larnaca route(?), as it has never really of been the best seller of routes from the airport. Also there isn't much in the way of advertising I'm seeing for the new or existing routes for the airline.

I was looking at all the Orthodox Jews checking into the Wizz flight yesterday to Israel. With people doing Google searches for cheap flights why do airlines need to advertise in this day and age.

With regards to Cyprus, there was a time when the Island was one of Luton’s busiest routes but that was more to do with Cypress government policy than natural demand.

22/04
31st Jan 2018, 08:50
Sorry to be a pedant LTN man but I think a cypress is a tree.

I think Blue Air will lose out to Wizz Air on LCA - Wizz have much better reputation for efficient on time service. Wizz like Ryanair will of course readuly pull a service if it isn't performing- they aren't taking much risk - if the routes don't work they can put thr Uk aircraft on eastern European routes and shift the ones operating those elsewhere.

Buster the Bear
31st Jan 2018, 18:00
Wizz Air UK will have 7 airframes based by Sept 2018.

I have just checked for August. 1 flight per day to Larnaca departing at 06:25. No other flights are offered for 3 weeks that I checked.

Falcon666
31st Jan 2018, 18:25
Wizz LTN-LCA

Twice daily flights start on 18/9 2,4,6 12.45 Dep

toledoashley
31st Jan 2018, 20:12
Astonishing that Larnaca will have more flights than the whole of the Canaries combined.

cj241101
31st Jan 2018, 22:10
With regards to Cyprus, there was a time when the Island was one of Luton’s busiest routes but that was more to do with Cypress government policy than natural demand.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a restriction on charter flights to Cyprus which when lifted still only allowed charter flights from the UK to operate from Luton? Hence the Cyprus A320/A310 programme that operated late 1989-summer 1991 before the 1st Gulf War killed it off.

LTNman
1st Feb 2018, 04:17
I can’t remember why and when it ended but certainly there was a restriction on charter flights that meant passengers had to use Luton. When the tide had turned at Luton and its charter program was on a decline it was flights to Cyprus that helped boast Luton’s dwindling numbers.

Powerjet1
2nd Feb 2018, 09:10
Wizz have announced they are basing an additional A321 at Luton, bringing the total to 8. Increased frequencies on Kiev, daily, and Bucharest, increasing from 21 to 26 weekly.

Plane.Silly
2nd Feb 2018, 12:26
Seen that the ex Monarch HQ has been put up for sale. Could be a nice move for EZY to expand some departments to

Spanish eyes
2nd Feb 2018, 12:42
Brexit what Brexit? Walking through the airport it feels like half the population of the country is from Eastern Europe with Romania fast becoming the new Poland but many of them can't afford the bus fare so can be seen walking into the town carrying all their belongings like refugees. Makes me feel a little uneasy but for the airport it is good news as numbers only ever head upwards.

gilesdavies
2nd Feb 2018, 12:47
Just been an armchair CEO for moment... :}

Wizz should be jumping at the chance to start routes to destinations that Luton is weak on, but are very popular from other UK airports operated by low cost carriers!

As mentioned above the Canaries is a no brainer, even if they operated only 2-3 times a week, to a couple of the islands. Would be great if they considered Scandinavia and possibly Istanbul too.

Now they are going to be operating with UK registered aircraft, I wonder if they will jump at the chance at taking up the London-Moscow route? From what I understand the UK-Russia agreement, allows two airlines from each country to operate on the route. With easyJet no longer operating on the route, it only leaves only BA and room for another potential UK operator?

Think this one is a bit pie in the sky, but the new Airbus NEO's should have the legs to do Dubai, would be great if they operated that!

Anyway back to reality, when you look at Wizz's route map, you have to give it to them for sticking to their principles of the avoiding the the blood bath from London on the western European routes. Other than Bari and Iceland, they look like they have drawn a line through Europe from the German/Polish Border going south to the Italy/Slovenia border.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/gilesdavies/Capture.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/gilesdavies/media/Capture.jpg.html)

Buster the Bear
2nd Feb 2018, 14:38
Wizzair UK will have 8 based airframes this year!

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/wizz-air-bases-eighth-aircraft-at-luton-13107?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Midday%20Bulletin

LTNman
2nd Feb 2018, 16:16
Touch of deja view at Luton as it is the same old story. According to a published schedule work should be underway on the DART as the general program was meant to have stated in October 2017. The enabling work for the tunnel under what is now Taxiway Bravo was also meant to have started at the same time.

To date only the enabling work to shift some fences and a perimeter track has been started and completed. It was the same story with the dual carriageway and the terminal, start dates missed and large overruns of the programme.

https://i.imgur.com/KZF3LIa.jpg

YVRLTN
3rd Feb 2018, 00:55
I can’t remember why and when it ended but certainly there was a restriction on charter flights that meant passengers had to use Luton. When the tide had turned at Luton and its charter program was on a decline it was flights to Cyprus that helped boast Luton’s dwindling numbers.

Flights were Eurocypria, then Helios/Ajet

22/04
3rd Feb 2018, 08:06
And of course Caledonian, ahhhh.... those TriStars using every inch of Luton's runway.

Wycombe
3rd Feb 2018, 10:27
Took one of those, on a hot/still Summer's evening, early 90's. Over 400 POB IIRC. The view from the Flight Deck must have been interesting!

Lee Baker Street
4th Feb 2018, 23:34
Having searched various recourses to determine the correct figure relating to the number of passengers that used LTN between Jan 1st 2017 and Dec 31 2017 has not been easy. Media (including the airport) quotes the airport as having handled 15.8 million pax. When adding the 12 month totals submitted by the CAA the figure totals 15,990,276. But the general figure quoted by the CAA is 15,989,225 (admittedly not a great difference) but should they not all be producing the same total?

LTNman
5th Feb 2018, 05:01
Maybe one figure is for passengers passing through the main terminal only while the others include the FBO terminals?

Changing the subject has anyone noticed the ever growing stockpile of earth the airport is collecting? There is a planning application gone in for even more earth to be moved to around the fire training ground. Think it is something like an extra 331,000 cu m. I am starting to think that maybe this area will play a role in the airports expansion.

LGS6753
5th Feb 2018, 06:57
LTNman,

Is there a plan for another taxiway link to the 26 turning bay? If so, I guess that would require infill.

LTNman
5th Feb 2018, 10:28
Yes there is but like the 08 end it won't go to the end but it will still require an infill.

Strange goings on at Luton. Both the Signature aprons either side of their terminal 2 are completely empty although 3 biz jets were parked on stand 10. These will revert back to the airport but from memory not until 2020.

Even the Harrods apron by their hangar only had 4 aircraft parked on it. Wonder where all the biz jets have gone:confused:

Expressflight
5th Feb 2018, 13:12
Wonder where all the biz jets have gone:confused:

To SEN of course. Sorry, just dreaming.

Lee Baker Street
5th Feb 2018, 17:03
Maybe one figure is for passengers passing through the main terminal only while the others include the FBO terminals?

Changing the subject has anyone noticed the ever growing stockpile of earth the airport is collecting? There is a planning application gone in for even more earth to be moved to around the fire training ground. Think it is something like an extra 331,000 cu m. I am starting to think that maybe this area will play a role in the airports expansion.

I agree with you LTNman in that the soil will be required to build up an area so that new aprons can be built to hold the anticipated 18+ extra stands.

SWBKCB
5th Feb 2018, 17:18
Wonder where all the biz jets have gone

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/tag-farnborough-records-largest-annual-movement-tall-445544/

TAG Farnborough, which is also one of the busiest business aviation airports in Europe, says it recorded its "strongest January" since operations began in 2004. With over 2,000 movements, this total represents an 18% increase on the same period last year.

LTNman
5th Feb 2018, 17:45
I agree with you LTNman in that the soil will be required to build up an area so that new aprons can be built to hold the anticipated 18+ extra stands.

Looking at the satellite image shows the existing soil dump which has considerable raised the ground level in places particularly around the airport boundary. The screen shot shows the latest planning application to add 331,400 cubic metres to the areas shown which is next to the existing soil dump. This soil is coming from the big dig for the DART.

It might well be the case that this area will eventually become an apron rather than an unused valley.
https://i.imgur.com/J8Q0cnc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2VdwIiK.jpg

Buster the Bear
6th Feb 2018, 22:01
When will work commence on Taxiway Foxtrot which will be positioned to the east of Delta to alleviate congestion? I was told it should start soon and join into Alpha just to the west of the run up bay.

LTNman
6th Feb 2018, 22:30
There has been a digger parked on the grass on the far side of Delta now for a few weeks.

The extension to taxiway Bravo was completed by a company called Ryebridge which does a lot of work for the airport. Now that work is finished they have moved on to the short and mid term car parks. The work to the short term is connected with building the new temporary drop off zone and road layout while the work to the mid term is connected with changing the road layout due to the dart.

I am assuming when that work is finished they will start on Foxtrot but Foxtrot is not meant to be finished until 2020. Also with the state of the ground soil conditions will be better when it has dried out a little.

BHX5DME
6th Feb 2018, 22:36
Having searched various recourses to determine the correct figure relating to the number of passengers that used LTN between Jan 1st 2017 and Dec 31 2017 has not been easy. Media (including the airport) quotes the airport as having handled 15.8 million pax. When adding the 12 month totals submitted by the CAA the figure totals 15,990,276. But the general figure quoted by the CAA is 15,989,225 (admittedly not a great difference) but should they not all be producing the same total?

LHR = 78,012,825 up 3.04%
LGW = 45,556,899 up 5.65%
MAN = 27,826,084 up 8.54%
STN = 25,904,450 up 6.51%
LTN = 15,979,653 up 9.17%
EDI = 13,410,343 up 8.60%
BHX = 12,987,327 up 11.53%
GLA = 9,897,959 up 5.90%
BRS = 8,239,250 up 8.26%

LTNman
7th Feb 2018, 05:15

Where did you get 18+ stands from?

If the airport wants to double passenger numbers it would need almost twice the number of stands it has today so would need a number in the high 30’s.

The council keep stating that the business park next to the airport will go ahead which would be the natural place to expand the airport and without it they don’t have the land for all those stands not even if they level the hill out by the fire training ground which could give the airport around an extra 16 stands.

LTNman
7th Feb 2018, 10:23
Well it can't be said that the airport has a clear vision of the way forward with regards to it's building work. The latest example is the temporary drop off zone that is under construction in the short term car park. The planning application shows drop off lanes in an almost southerly direction but the kerbing for the lanes that are now going in are at a right angle to the plan.

It is crucial that the airport cracks the persistent problem of congestion that has plagued the CTA for years but those with even short memories will remember the drop off zone before the current single lane. Passengers were forced as now to cross traffic lanes to get to the terminal so no difference there with the latest scheme but this layout will hopefully not have barriers at the ends of each lane as previous layouts have had in the past.

The airport have stated that bus traffic will not have to go through barriers when this work is completed so we will have to wait and see where they actually go. In the plan below the barriers capture all traffic entering the CTA so there are also changes to this part of the plan as well.

https://i.imgur.com/csWDLL9.jpg

gilesdavies
7th Feb 2018, 11:40
LHR = 78,012,825 up 3.04%
LGW = 45,556,899 up 5.65%
MAN = 27,826,084 up 8.54%
STN = 25,904,450 up 6.51%
LTN = 15,979,653 up 9.17%
EDI = 13,410,343 up 8.60%
BHX = 12,987,327 up 11.53%
GLA = 9,897,959 up 5.90%
BRS = 8,239,250 up 8.26%

For many years Luton, Edinburgh and Birmingham had very similar passenger numbers, usually with Luton slight ahead, but all three vying for the fifth busiest airport slot. So pretty shocked to see Luton suddenly pull ahead with 2.5 million more than EDI and 3 million more than BHX.

The sooner the expansion and "improvements" comes online the better!

Flew through the airport on an 8am flight to Warsaw last month, and had high hopes of seeing some significant improvements in the departure area and to be honest was very disappointed!

Very quick and speedy through security, but still no additional seating in the departure lounge from when flew through 3-4 months ago, just few new outlets open, and still as chaotic as ever! Felt no different and no less busy than when I travelled on a Saturday afternoon last June when it was hellish!

It comes across to me the airport is pinning its hopes on people eating in the restaurants and food outlets, and spending their time in these, and then they have no need to add additional seating!

I've just come to conclusion now, it is best not to go through to departures until 45-60mins before your flight, unless you want to board the flight stressed and with a migraine!

LTNman
7th Feb 2018, 17:28
It comes across to me the airport is pinning its hopes on people eating in the restaurants and food outlets, and spending their time in these, and then they have no need to add additional seating!

I think the airport have all but abandoned any free seating areas as two proposed areas are now planned as retail.

Falcon666
7th Feb 2018, 20:58
Century Park

For those that are interested there is a interesting letter , dated 6th Feb , relating to the new access road to Century Park.
Concerns have been raised by LLAOL regarding the loss of the long stay car park, Hire car companies and traffic flow. the planned closure of vehicle access via Percival Way to just cycle and pedestrians and the new junctions.
Seems they are not impressed that all this could start at the same time as the works for the DART as well.

Can't post the link but it's available on the council planning portal.
Simple search : Century Park 17/02300/EIA Application

LTNman
7th Feb 2018, 21:12
Highway England are not impressed either and want 6 months to fully understand the implications on their road network.

As for LLAOL who are Aena, they are not happy at all. Basically they are saying that the council and LLAL have lost the plot. Also the building of the new dual carriageway through the back of the airport will cause major problems with traffic flows. No account has been taken of the airports internal bus service and that road junctions have been planned in isolation and that the council are in breach of article LP1 which states that the airport must not be affected by any work.

Falcon666
7th Feb 2018, 21:20
Think they have been losing the plot for several years now judging by all the overruns and delays!

LTNman
8th Feb 2018, 12:08
It is surprising how far back this redevelopment work was actually started.

The old arrivals area closed on 31st May 2015 so it will be around 3 years before the new arrivals area is opened and that doesn't include the baggage reclaim area.

The first part of the main terminal to be boarded up for the expansion of security area took place on July 14th 2015. That won't be completed until at least the latter half of 2018.

In the meantime the cost has gone from £100 million to £110 million to £120 million to the latest cost of £150 million with the project now well over a year late.

Falcon666
8th Feb 2018, 18:16
Been mentioned on the MAN thread that Menzies are losing the EZY ground handling at LGW/LTN and STN in this region
Anybody know who is picking up this work at LTN?, appears Stobart are taking over at STN.

LTNman
8th Feb 2018, 20:55
Race to the bottom. Swissport lost their Wizz contract to some Italian mob so have next to no work so maybe they have undercut Menzies.

port_94
9th Feb 2018, 09:23
Race to the bottom. Swissport lost their Wizz contract to some Italian mob so have next to no work so maybe they have undercut Menzies.

The airport will not let 1 ground handerler have the WIZZ & EZY contract. It’s just too much work to manage at Luton that’s why swissport couldn’t handle EZY years ago so putting in a bit now makes sense.

A rumour that was running round a few months ago says DLH will put in a bid to handle EZY like they do at LGW, heard it’s been very successful there.

Azzurra also have a clause in the WIZZ contract that they can’t take any new work in the first 12 months. This eliminates any contracts up for renewal this year.

LTNman
9th Feb 2018, 09:45
One of the biggest passenger gripes at Luton is the amount of time it takes to get luggage to the belts. Renewing contracts seems to mean less staff to do more work.

port_94
9th Feb 2018, 10:11
One of the biggest passenger gripes at Luton is the amount of time it takes to get luggage to the belts. Renewing contracts seems to mean less staff to do more work.

It’s all down to cost

The early shift is very well staffed
Late shifts are staffed ok
But the night shifts are staffed to a “skeleton” crew, this means 1 ramp crew, 2 on a good night after 22:00 to meet and offload everything

We see most nights the ramp guys meeting everything then working there way back to the beginning and ofloading, this is where most of the baggage delays happen

pabely
9th Feb 2018, 13:08
Still suffering from the MON effect but still upwards LLA welcomes 1 million passengers in January - London Luton Airport (http://newsroom.london-luton.co.uk/news/lla-welcomes-1-million-passengers-in-january-293751)

22/04
9th Feb 2018, 14:07
22.00 seems a bit early to go the skeleton crew. If it was 23.30 much of the problem would go away I would think at least in the winter

LTNman
9th Feb 2018, 15:53
From the press release.

Inadequate rail links are significantly limiting the airport’s ability to provide the air capacity that UK travellers want and that the economy needs. LLA is London’s fastest-growing major airport but is the only one without a direct, express-style rail service. The airport is calling for the introduction of four fast trains per hour at Luton Airport Parkway station as part of the new East Midlands rail franchise.

A lack of 4 non stop trains an hour won't stop the airport reaching 18 million although it would be nice just like more seating in departures which the airport does have control over. Also it seems that Luton has forgotten about Southend in its press statement.

compton3bravo
9th Feb 2018, 18:35
Interesting flight tomorrow Vueling to GRENOBLE. I did not know Vueling did charters - half-term school ski flight I would imagine.

southside bobby
9th Feb 2018, 19:16
Almost certainly...
Charters from STN early tomorrow by Smartwings,Ernest & Transavia to the snow resorts.

southside bobby
10th Feb 2018, 05:30
Vueling 2x Grenoble from STN this PM amongst more than half a dozen airlines operating ski charters ex STN today.

LAX_LHR
10th Feb 2018, 05:59
Isn’t this a LTN thread?

LTNman
10th Feb 2018, 06:20
I was thinking the same:confused:

With LTN passing 1 million passengers again last month Luton doesn’t feel that busy passing that figure anymore so maybe that is the airport’s sweet spot at the moment as work carries on with the redevelopment.

southside bobby
10th Feb 2018, 06:20
Reply to c3b with his post he "did not know Vueling did charters"...

LTNman
12th Feb 2018, 15:58
A tour of the CTA and multistory before the route changes in May.

Best to right click and copy the URL and open a new window for the option of a full screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o06IAggPMgQ

Buster the Bear
12th Feb 2018, 17:25
If Meccano made multi-storey car parks.....

PAXboy
12th Feb 2018, 20:35
The Meet n Greet video is only telling (at best) half the story. It might be helpful to show the signs in arrivals and the route for pax. They do not say if you have to stay with the vehicle - or can go into the terminal (I guess not but they do not say). Further, they do not say how much it costs, or if there is a maximum time of stay.

Far be it from me to suggest that LLA have produced something that is half-baked ...

LTNman
12th Feb 2018, 21:45
That video is from a private company that operated from the short term car park but now operates from the multistory. I personally would not trust that company to look after my car as I have seen the type of drivers they use as they take the cars off airport to re-park them. The company has put in a planning application to build a reception centre off Eaton Green Road in a former Vauxhall car park next to the Easyjet staff car park and will bus passengers to the terminal.

The airports in-house meet and greet priority car park operation operates from the floor below. They used to park cars exclusively on the top two floors but with the loss of the short term car park many of the cars are now taken to a piece of waste ground between Airport Way and New Airport Way which is opposite the Ibis. The area isn't even fenced off.

LTNman
14th Feb 2018, 06:00
Seems like the airport can’t wait for the opening of the replacement land side retail outlets and have given notice to the likes of M&S to close, which will cause redundancies. This is because the airport want to speed up the building work.

This news from someone who is not at all happy

lfc84
14th Feb 2018, 07:37
This is shocking. Really poor form.

Falcon666
14th Feb 2018, 07:54
Sounds like very poor project management.Do you know how long a gap we are talking about? Presumably many months!
Costa were told end of March for their move to Landside, wonder if that's still on?

On a lighter note just watched Easy2053departed and then returned 30 mins later after, according to FR24, ploughing around Bedfordshire at 160knts at 0ft that must have been some trip

pabely
14th Feb 2018, 09:45
Looks like a Tech issue which fooled FR24 as well but off on it's way now.

LTNman
15th Feb 2018, 06:08
Sounds like very poor project management.Do you know how long a gap we are talking about? Presumably many months!
Costa were told end of March for their move to Landside, wonder if that's still on?

No idea, the story came from someone having a major moan on Facebook and said outlets were being forced to close down including M&S and that redundancy consultations were taking place.

There is still a massive amount of work that hasn’t even been started yet but as retail is in both the arrivals area and by the check-in desks I don’t know if both areas will be shut down before the terminal extension opens.

AvGeek1
16th Feb 2018, 09:13
Oliver Bonas & Ted Baker have now opened their stores in departures. Another confirmed retailer is Skinnydip London.

LTNman
16th Feb 2018, 10:23
These are located in the departure lounge extension between the duty free shop and the main part of the existing departure lounge. Empty shops are not going to easy congestion in the departure lounge though.

https://i.imgur.com/E83Jp7T.jpg

In the meantime the temporary drop off zone is taking shape which will have 5 lanes with the exit barriers being moved close by. This is almost a mock up of the ground floor of the second multistory being started soon. With the exit barriers so close to the drop off lanes any tailbacks will have a major impact on the drop off zone.

https://i.imgur.com/X1lsj1E.jpg

Last summer the barriers had to be lifted often as the tailbacks would extend all the way around the CTA to where the drop off zone was located.

https://i.imgur.com/Nt6mLbH.jpg

LGS6753
16th Feb 2018, 15:07
WizzAir are adding a third weekly rotation to Olsztyn-Mazury from 25th April.

Courtesy AirlineRoute.

PAXboy
16th Feb 2018, 15:53
LTNman
With the exit barriers so close to the drop off lanes any tailbacks will have a major impact on the drop off zone.Surely, you're not suggesting that LLA have learnt nothing and are about to repeat their mistakes? :rolleyes:

LTNman
16th Feb 2018, 18:31
Deja vu apart from the barriers this time will be just outside the lanes. I'm thinking it is a trial run for their final solution. Get it wrong next time and there is no going back but I note passengers will still have to use pedestrian crossings to get across each lane.

Looking at the first picture below is a reminder of the size of the terminal infill.

https://i.imgur.com/zFgSHro.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fQ8pIDg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lOUzfhN.jpg

LTNman
20th Feb 2018, 16:04
It has been a while since I did one of these but there is activity to be seen again although nothing regarding the DART construction that should be under way by now.

The lifts in the building that used to go to the short term car park appear to be being removed. Looking at the construction site drawing the whole core and the link bridge are going to be removed. Highlighted in red is the core building that is in the way despite only being completed and opened around 15 months ago. In another drawing this location is part of the exit ramp from the car park.
https://i.imgur.com/3ozFRLq.jpg

As can be seen work has been started on the foundations of I assume the second multistory but confusingly the drilling machine is putting in holes that are being filled with reinforced concrete only 2 metres apart so maybe it is for the ramp as the first floor of the multistory will be accessed from around this point.
https://i.imgur.com/d6DEq8x.jpg

The new multistory hugs the existing road and is much larger than the existing multistory.
https://i.imgur.com/26VVX5h.jpg

A subway will be constructed across the road but the subway will be at the existing land level so the road will be raised to cross the subway. Work seems to have started on a temporary road to allow the existing road to be raised. Also seen is the core that looks like it will be removed.
https://i.imgur.com/rh4tWiD.jpg

Meanwhile on the other side of the airport work continues on a very modest expansion of the ground floor immigration hall as a roof has been put in on the first floor extension above the hall which I think will be a shop and a link to the new walkway.
https://i.imgur.com/N5DKNAc.jpg

Buster the Bear
20th Feb 2018, 17:57
I was told that the lifts that are now to be removed, were roumered to be meant for interior installation and therefore not compatible with the British weather. I know they were allegedly failing when it rained!

LTNman
20th Feb 2018, 19:18
Not sure if this has been reported before so apologies if it has

Sun Express Bodrum – London Luton 18JUN18 – 28SEP18 2 x weekly

Lee Baker Street
21st Feb 2018, 17:18
Don't worry about it LTNman, but yes it has already been mentioned in the thread previously. Of course I can understand your anxiety as when I announced a new route (that I was not aware of having already been disclosed) all hell broke out! But hey, you and me probably have far more knowledge of the airport than most in this forum!

Buster the Bear
22nd Feb 2018, 19:14
I still find it interesting that an airline like Sun Express which is a joint venture by Luftfhansa and Turkish airlines uses Luton and not Stansted which has greater Lufthansa links (Euro Wings).

Buster the Bear
22nd Feb 2018, 19:32
Icelandair Expands Maintenance Partnership with Monarch Aircraft Engineering (http://www.aviationpros.com/press_release/12399338/icelandair-expands-maintenance-partnership-with-monarch-aircraft-engineering)

LTNman
23rd Feb 2018, 11:28
With the latest set of foundations being placed right by the ring road it is now looking unlikely that it has anything to do with the second multistory. I am now thinking it might be for a passenger footbridge as crossing the ring road is not an option. It will all depend on which direction cars enter the temporary drop off zone.

Also all the fairground kiosks have been moved. 3 now occupy bus bays with the 4th by the drop off zone. This is a temporary move but the question is why did they have to move? Looks like another project is about to begin.

LGS6753
23rd Feb 2018, 13:44
Wizz Cluj increases from 19 to 21 per week from Oct 2018.

planedrive
23rd Feb 2018, 13:52
According to Ryebridge's twitter feed, the piling is for the new vehicle over bridge to form the pedestrian underpass from the new permanent drop off zone/multistory 2.

LTNman
23rd Feb 2018, 13:54
Ah an answer, thanks

EI-A330-300
23rd Feb 2018, 16:08
Appears Waterford will start this summer, announcement due in coming days. They have an AOC (or the company) they are part of do.

Buster the Bear
23rd Feb 2018, 19:51
Aer Southeast again?

LGS6753
24th Feb 2018, 08:25
Buster,

Yes - a statement on their FB page reads:

Aer Southeast will begin flights this year!

Aer Southeast is now a part of a company which has its own Airline Operating License, AOC.
It's been a long road, but a lot of work has been done behind the scenes in order to secure the operation.
Due to circumstances out of our control, which included a long period of time when Waterford airport was in deep discussions with another operator, meant that we were not in a position to progress on this matter.
However, those things have been resolved, and Aer Southeast has now picked up were it left off.
More info follows in the coming days.

The ASE team.

Buster the Bear
25th Feb 2018, 19:38
Ciao Fly! Those were the days!

port_94
1st Mar 2018, 09:34
Anyone wanna guess the opening date for Pier B?

Ramp & contractors have been told to relocate from St 46 on the 8th of this month so could it all be opening soon 🤔

Also do we think ramp congestion will be an issue with an 8 stand apron only being served by Delta because of the missing Foxtrot which seems to have been abandoned

LTNman
1st Mar 2018, 10:19
If the pier opens it will only part open on the stand side as the coach pick up side has a full length trench running along it where the coaches will stop. Also the top layer of tarmac has yet to be applied. I didn't think the apron side looked much better either with machinery digging up some of the concrete last week.

As for Foxtrot, and this is just a guess. When the extension to Bravo opened the contractor moved into the Midterm car park to finish that project off and to remodel part of it to allow for the construction of the DART. While that is still being finished off they have started on the new drop off zone in the short term car park. I am assuming that in April or May time after these existing projects are completed and when the ground starts to dry out a little they will start on taxiway Foxtrot which has a completion date of 2020.

I was watching the de-icing today which still takes an age. I wasn't sure whether de-icing is done with the engines running but I can confirm it is.

https://i.imgur.com/ZmyDXxK.jpg

Buster the Bear
1st Mar 2018, 11:09
If Foxtrot runs north-south to the east of Delta, this taxiway plan has not been dropped.

Buster the Bear
1st Mar 2018, 11:35
https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-southeast-ready-to-launch-waterfordtouk-flights-after-delays-36655216.html

ESQU
1st Mar 2018, 14:29
De-icing will take an age if, as your photo suggests, they were only using the one de-ice rig. Far better to put 3 rigs onto one aircraft.

LTNman
1st Mar 2018, 14:41
During the last major frost when many flights got cancelled they operated in pairs but not this time.

FoxChaRomeo
2nd Mar 2018, 08:58
During the last major frost when many flights got cancelled they operated in pairs but not this time.

They were operating in pairs on Tuesday on the South Apron. Not been at work since, so can't speak for the last couple of days.

As for engines running, on stand obviously not, but on the Airbus there is a restriction of not using APU bleed for 5 mins after the deicing has finished, so need to wait for that time to elapse before we can turn on the bleed, which is needed for engine start. Generally an insignificant extra delay after the de-icing equipment is moved and we've pushed etc.

Remote deicing, APU will be off (as per normal SOP - not required at this point), engines remain running. Flaps up for de-icing, but they are usually set straight after push back, so important to remember to extend them again as soon as deicing is finished. Its a bit out of sequence, so could be easy to forget.

Usually a strategically positioned piece of paper with FLAPS written in big letters is enough to remind you. High tech solutions and all that...

Wycombe
2nd Mar 2018, 09:52
Usually a strategically positioned piece of paper with FLAPS written in big letters is enough to remind you

....wouldn't there would be some sort of config warning if you did attempt to depart without some flap?

Gulf Julliet Papa
2nd Mar 2018, 10:19
There is...but what happens if that fails....

Crash: Spanair MD82 at Madrid on Aug 20th 2008, went off runway during takeoff (http://avherald.com/h?article=40b73189/0024&opt=0)

Buster the Bear
2nd Mar 2018, 10:22
The first Wizz Air UK airframe operated into Luton today G-WUKA A320.

FoxChaRomeo
2nd Mar 2018, 10:40
....wouldn't there would be some sort of config warning if you did attempt to depart without some flap?

There certainly would... actually there are two traps to make sure you don't depart with no flaps set - the first is by pushing the 'TO Config Test' button, which does exactly as it says on the tin. The second is physically setting the thrust levers to TOGA or FLEX/MCT.

Edited to add: our Before Takeoff checklist has the line "ECAM memo", to which the response should be "Take off, no blue" If you haven't pressed the TO Config check button at that point, there will be a blue TEST alongside that line on the upper ECAM display. So there's another step to catch the omission error. All in, you would do very well to get onto the runway and set take off power without having set the flaps. But it probably has happened...

At either point, if you are not suitably configured, the Master Warning will go off and scare the bejesus out of you because you won't be expecting it (it happened to me once when we didn't set the flaps, and then pressed the button!) And then you have to do a lot of paperwork.

So, the scrap of paper is a reasonable solution...

LTNman
2nd Mar 2018, 17:31
Something remarkable has happened this afternoon and into the evening. The airport has remained open despite the snowfall. Must be the right sort of snow.

boeing_eng
2nd Mar 2018, 17:45
Closed around 1630 for snow clearing for 40 mins. Several diversions today from Biggin and Farnborough....

LGS6753
2nd Mar 2018, 19:48
Must be the right sort of snow.

Because the temperatures are so low, the snow is drier and easier to clear than our usual wet slush.

pabely
2nd Mar 2018, 21:59
Because the temperatures are so low, the snow is drier and easier to clear than our usual wet slush.

Or until the snow clearing equipment breaks down!

Buster the Bear
3rd Mar 2018, 12:30
Concession up for sale?

https://ijglobal.com/articles/132347/market-readies-for-luton-airport-sale

LTNman
3rd Mar 2018, 13:23
Interesting, AENA bought out the shared concession a few years ago for £400 million but with only 13 years left of the existing concession how much do they expect to get?

Interestingly they have put in an objection to the councils planning application for the planned business park next door as the access road will cross the airport and will cause traffic problems.

Also wonder what the rest of the text reads that is blanked out.

PAXboy
3rd Mar 2018, 14:20
If the Council plan to put a biz park next to the airport - then major road work would be needed. For once, I am on AENA's side!

Buster the Bear
3rd Mar 2018, 16:16
The rest of the article details the share holding in the concession and their debt refinancing in 2017. 49% share holder Ardian may have already commenced negotiations for a sale.

Interestingly, GIP wishes to sell or reduce their 42% shareholding in Gatwick.

LTNman
5th Mar 2018, 21:18
Just a little construction update.

For those that can remember in the original planning application an onward travel centre building was located where the funfair type kiosks were eventually located. These have now been moved together with the removal of the large smoking den that was by the side of them. Does this mean that an onward travel centre will be now be moving from inside the terminal infill to its original location?

The airport has provided a photo of inside the terminal infill. I have never been a fan of the industrial look ceilings where everything that should be hidden is displayed. If pier A and the temporary arrivals area is anything to go by the final finish might look similar to this although the publicity artist’s impressions show strips of wood crossing the ceiling to partly hide the mess.

https://i.imgur.com/Bdu4l7w.jpg

PAXboy
6th Mar 2018, 02:57
industrial look ceilingsAre cheaper than real ceilings! You know the rules at LTN ... :ouch:

LTNman
6th Mar 2018, 03:53
As far as I am aware Anea are funding the 18 million passengers upgrade out of a concession that ends in 13 years. These costs have increased from the initial quoted £100 million to £110 million, then it became £120 million and now it is £150 million.

The project is already running more than a year late so I am guessing the extra cost is down to mainly wages and the extra cost of construction issues with savings made on the finish and cutting back of materials. Tarmac is a great example, the pavements from the terminal frontage to the drop off zone would look so much better if tarmac was substituted with a different quality finish while the mid term car park would be so much better if they had used tarmac rather than using rolled loose stones for the parking bays. Last year the extension to the mid term car park was completed and just a year later the new parking bays are full of puddles as the ground breaks up.

It must pain Aena to see large chunks of their investment being already dug up or about to be dug up in preparation for the second multi-storey and the Dart which is being funded by LLAL via loans from the council.

Buster the Bear
6th Mar 2018, 10:45
Sounds more like a lack of forward planning as far as the second multi-storey is concerned, or a lack of joined up thinking towards expansion.

PAXboy
6th Mar 2018, 11:58
As far as I have noticed, since entering the work force (in 1978) 'Forward Planning' has not been strong in British life. Public or private.

LTNman
6th Mar 2018, 19:59
The piling for the pedestrian tunnel that is running along parallel to the ring road for Multistory 2 is now around 100m long and they haven't finished yet.

This is the first floor of pier B that according to the airport is about to be fitted out. I have no idea what they mean by fitting out but my eye is drawn to that busy ceiling which is similar to pier A. The fact that everything is spayed black makes me think this is it. I am thinking the pier won't be winning any style awards.

https://i.imgur.com/41It4iz.jpg
LLA

Buster the Bear
7th Mar 2018, 08:49
As far as I have noticed, since entering the work force (in 1978) 'Forward Planning' has not been strong in British life. Public or private.

Prior to the days of the Concession, Luton was hampered by LBC being unable to borrow the large sums involved, but any development was well planned and executed, well apart from building the tinminal in a cul-de-sac!

Buster the Bear
7th Mar 2018, 10:13
https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-launches-london-winter-18-schedule/

gilesdavies
7th Mar 2018, 11:33
Timetable looking pretty similar to previous years and no big shocks or surprises...

Las Palmas, Girona, Faro and Nimes dropped for the winter.

74 flights a week, or just under 28,000 available seats a week.

Dublin - 3x Daily
Copenhagen - 1x Daily
Kaunas - 1x Daily
Kerry - 6x Weekly
Knock - 6x Weekly
Malta - 4x Weekly
Vilnius - 4x Weekly
Bydgoszcz - 3x Weekly
Rzeszow - 3x Weekly
Murcia - 3x Weekly
Beziers - 2x Weekly
Marrakesh - 2x Weekly
Fuerteventura - 2x Weekly
Lanzarote - 2x Weekly
Tenerife (South) - 2x Weekly

LTNman
7th Mar 2018, 21:11
More information has come out regarding the sale of the concession.

POSTED BY: THE CORNER 7TH MARCH 2018
Aena may be studying the possibility of increasing its stake in the UK’s Luton airport (it has a preferential option) after its current partner, the fund Ardian, has shown interest in getting rid of its stake. Ardian and Aena bought 100% of the airport from Abertis in 2013 for 508 million euros. Aena currently owns 51% of Luton airport and it represents about 1% of the group’s EV. Luton is the UK’s fifth biggest airport.

Renta4’s analysts put a value of 310 million euros on the 50% stake, while Bankinter believes that it would require a bit more of an investment, around 325 million euros for 49%. That said, the recent extension of the concession until 2031 and agreements with some airlines like Easy Jet could justify a slightly higher multiple. Experts at Renta4 explain:

“It’s an asset which is working very well and its outlook, after the workforce adjustment, is very positive. So we think it would be a good thing to buy 100% of the asset, as long as the prices are not too high.”

In fact, in 2017, Luton airport generated revenues of 205 million euros and EBITDA of 58.7 million, which AENA would fully consolidate. This would mean additional revenues of 100 million euros (2.5% of the group total) and additional EBITDA of 29 million euros (1.2% of the total).

And finally, with a Financial Debt/EBITDA ratio of 2.8x and a strong cash generation capacity, Bankinter assumes that AENA can make this acquisition “which is accretive for group results.”

Buster the Bear
7th Mar 2018, 21:45
One has to wonder, just where the huge income from the airport is being spent by LBC?

“It’s an asset which is working very well and its outlook, after the workforce adjustment,....

Has or will happen?

Falcon666
12th Mar 2018, 19:58
New retail openings as 1m passengers use LLA in February - London Luton Airport (http://newsroom.london-luton.co.uk/news/new-retail-openings-as-1m-passengers-use-lla-in-february-298190?_ga=2.214906707.593091247.1520821323-1954309967.1513962245)

Noticed the cost is now £160 million, first time I've seen that figure.
Also the terminal extension opening is now "Later this year"
Overrun again??

LGS6753
12th Mar 2018, 20:37
Noise trouble:

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/LTN-S18-Noise-Restrictions.pdf

LTNman
12th Mar 2018, 20:57
No Diversions day or night and no biz jets overnight meaning that the airport becomes an 18 hour a day biz jet airport. That just leaves Stansted which might have its own overnight restrictions and Southend.

LTNman
12th Mar 2018, 23:00
From next year aircraft with a QC greater than one will be barred from using the airport overnight. This would mean no more DHL airbuses.

compton3bravo
13th Mar 2018, 09:02
Passenger figures for February were 1,042,325 DOWN 0.8 per cent (about 7,500) on February 2017. The rolling 12 month figure was 15,826,370 up 6.3 per cent. Regarding the noise problems looks like somebody hasn't been playing ball leaving the airport no alternative to keep within the law.

whitelighter
13th Mar 2018, 09:14
The drop surely due to the loss of Monarch?

Spanish eyes
13th Mar 2018, 11:10
Many years ago Luton had light aircraft based at Luton but as the airport grew they were pushed out to make way for more bizjets and airliners.

Now there are just the first signs that there is a squeeze on the FBO's. Signature lost exclusive use of the pond and will soon have to give up the aprons around their second terminal.

Harrods leased extra stands on the south stands to help ease pressure on their aprons but that is set to end in a few weeks time.

Gulfstream have outgrown their Hangar at Luton are are reported to be leaving soon.

Now Luton's is set to ban bizjet movements overnight for the four summer months due to noise issues thus turning Luton into a limited opening hours airport for biz jet movements. With slots tight at other times the biz jet could become an endangered species.

Planespeaking
13th Mar 2018, 11:42
Many years ago Luton had light aircraft based at Luton but as the airport grew they were pushed out to make way for more bizjets and airliners.

Now there are just the first signs that there is a squeeze on the FBO's. Signature lost exclusive use of the pond and will soon have to give up the aprons around their second terminal.

Harrods leased extra stands on the south stands to help ease pressure on their aprons but that is set to end in a few weeks time.

Gulfstream have outgrown their Hagar at Luton are are reported to be leaving soon.

Now Luton's is set to ban bizjet movements overnight for the four summer months due to noise issues thus turning Luton into a limited opening hours airport for biz jet movements. With slots tight at other times the biz jet could become an endangered species.

Looks like Stobart's newly opened multi million FBO Jet Centre at SEN could be a good investment.

LTNman
13th Mar 2018, 11:58
The quest to build new airport hotels continues. The airport has 5 hotels including the one by Parkway. The 6th is under construction now with a plan to turn the airport offices within the CTA into hotel number 7.

A planning application has just been submitted for hotel number 8 to be located between the fuel farm and the Ibis hotel. The site contains the former Spittlesea Hospital that will be demolished.

There was an application made last year to convert the building including the building next door into flats.

boeing_eng
13th Mar 2018, 13:42
Looks like Stobart's newly opened multi million FBO Jet Centre at SEN could be a good investment.

Southend has a published night movement limit of 120 per month.....Don't think that will bring in hordes of new business!

As it stands, London could well become Biz Jet free at night during the peak Summer months!

LGS6753
13th Mar 2018, 14:39
LTNman -

Presumably hotel no 9 will be the Monarch building?

Planespeaking
13th Mar 2018, 15:25

Southend has a published night movement limit of 120 per month.....Don't think that will bring in hordes of new business!

As it stands, London could well become Biz Jet free at night during the peak Summer months!
What are the restrictions at Biggin and Farnborough for night movements then?

horatio_b
13th Mar 2018, 15:30
Biggin open weekdays 0630-2300; weekends/public holidays 0800-2200
Farnborough open weekdays 0700-2200; weekends/public holidays 0800-2000

LTNman
13th Mar 2018, 18:15
Interesting NOTAM

A0917/18 NOTAMN
Q) EGTT/QFALT/IV/NBO/A /000/999/5152N00022W005
A) EGGW B) 1806010500 C) 1809010600
D) 0500-0600
E) ZERO INBOUND FLOW RATE APPLIED

The way I read this is that between 06:00 and 07:00 local time from 1st June until 1st September there will be no inbounds allowed. I assume this has something to do with the busted noise limits and the letter sent by the airport to the operators. Wizz often arrive early but this will hit the biz jet community more.

A0503/18 NOTAMN
Q) EGTT/QFAXX/IV/NBO/A /000/999/5152N00022W005
A) EGGW B) 1802081438 C) PERM
E) LOCAL TRAFFIC REGULATIONS SECTION 1 AIRPORT REGULATIONS
ADD TEXT BELOW AS NEW LINE (M)
AIRCRAFT OPERATORS ARE INFORMED THAT THE USE OF DECT 6.0 VERSION
CORDLESS PHONES OPERATING ON THE 1.9 GHZ FREQUENCY IS PROHIBITED AT
LONDON LUTON AIRPORT.
UK AIP EGGW AD 2.20 REFERS

So what is that all about? Why would airlines have dect phones that would be connected to a landline rather than mobiles.

compton3bravo
13th Mar 2018, 18:25
I would suggest that there will be no night ban as such but no AD HOC movements. The meaning of ad hoc means 'not pre-planned' but I might be wide of the mark on this. Further comments by people more in the know would be appreciated.

pabely
13th Mar 2018, 19:49
LTNman -

Presumably hotel no 9 will be the Monarch building?

No, not from what I have heard!

pabely
13th Mar 2018, 19:54
The way I read this is that between 06:00 and 07:00 local time from 1st June until 1st September there will be no inbounds allowed. I assume this has something to do with the busted noise limits and the letter sent by the airport to the operators. Wizz often arrive early but this will hit the biz jet community more.

Remember we are BST or GMT+1 in Summer months

Don't we have NHT closing soon for a while, OK that had no night movements but their daytime movements will have to go somewhere!

Barling Magna
13th Mar 2018, 20:01

The night limit starts at 2330 though, so there's a clear 90 minutes extra than Luton's 2200 limit. SEN might squeeze some in then.

commit aviation
13th Mar 2018, 20:35
Compton3bravo:
S18 slot allocation has effectively been completed. So if you don't hold a slot for a service at this point, any request would now be considered "ad hoc".

Broadly speaking, scheduled & charter carriers apply for a series of flights for all or part of the season through this allocation process. Exec operators can & sometimes do apply for slots during the allocation process however the nature of their operations means they usually apply days or maybe hours before the flight is due to operate.

compton3bravo
13th Mar 2018, 20:47
Thanks for that Commit.

LTNman
14th Mar 2018, 06:07
Luton has a separate shoulder limit for the hours between 06:00 and 07:00 of 7,000 movements per year. I am not sure what the QC limit is but the QC limit would cut down the 7,000 movements. This notam covers this period.

Spanish eyes
14th Mar 2018, 09:19
So to recap for the private jet operator from June 1st. No departures or arrivals overnight. No arrivals between 6:00 and 7:00 and then a fight to pick up a slot due to the Wizz arrivals and the Easyjet departures.

Not looking good is it:confused:.

boeing_eng
14th Mar 2018, 13:42
Its all down to whether Signature and Harrods have managed to get any non ad-hoc night slots which they can then allocate to customers....I'm sure they will have certainly not taken this lying down!

pabely
14th Mar 2018, 19:35
See these new restrictions are to preserve what was declared back in October.... https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/LTN-S18-Capacity-Declaration.pdf and will probably effect people returning from footie matches in Moscow during FIFA World Cup

Buster the Bear
14th Mar 2018, 23:19
Interesting NOTAM

So what is that all about? Why would airlines have dect phones that would be connected to a landline rather than mobiles.

I would guess that there is potential to interfere with navigational/radio equipment, especially if the product might be non-conforming, so putting out a higher power broadcast than rules permit. Baby monitors made in China were a massive issue for ATC in the past.

Why are folk on here surprised about the squeeze on biz? Writing has been on the wall for years. Niche market and Stansted will be forced into similar in good time.

robbie1973
15th Mar 2018, 06:56
According to announcement on Routes online this morning Thomas Cook are planing new routes to Fuerteventura and Innsbruck for this coming winter. Although there’s nothing advertised on their website at the moment.

southside bobby
15th Mar 2018, 07:31
Re TCX....

Sure of the facts?....

robbie1973
15th Mar 2018, 08:10
Re TCX....

Sure of the facts?....

No I’m not sure, I can only say what I see !

Falcon666
15th Mar 2018, 08:27
Re TCX
Looks like the Innsbruck flight is a one off on 3rd Sep - STN has a Geneva flight on the same day.
FUE could be a one off or go into the winter schedule as it's planned for Oct 16/23.

Time will tell!

LTNman
15th Mar 2018, 16:50
Enabling work continues on the DART project before construction work begins.

The photo shows an access road being constructed to the station site next to Luton Airport Parkway station.

https://i.imgur.com/Gi6ZgYs.jpg

LGS6753
15th Mar 2018, 20:53
Thomas Cook has filed plans to use Avion Express A321 on the following services:
Dalaman 3May to 25Oct
Fuerteventura 16 & 23Oct
Innsbruck 3 & 4Sep

Credit AirlineRoute

Boeing737-8
15th Mar 2018, 22:11
The Monday DLM service will be operated by a Thomas cook aircraft as well as the 2 weekly ayt flights.

cj241101
16th Mar 2018, 19:43
See these new restrictions are to preserve what was declared back in October and will probably effect people returning from footie matches in Moscow during FIFA World Cup
If I understand the policy on night flights correctly, it will presumably be the end of the Champions League teams using Luton as per the Blue Panorama last night which had an approved departure slot of 2355 (and actually took off at 0156). All such flights can only be described as "ad-hoc" given that the teams involved won't know 6 months in advance when and where they are playing.

compton3bravo
17th Mar 2018, 07:04
I take more than a passing interest in sports charters with Arsenal and Watford both using Luton for international and domestic flights with teams playing at both venues from Liverpool, Swansea etc. flying into Luton. As far as Arsenal are concerned (Europa League) there next match is in Moscow and if they reach the final that will be played in Lyon this year in May so that should have no effect. Regarding the Champions League only Manchester City and Liverpool are left in and playing each other in the next round. If Liverpool reach the final - to be played in Kiev - there could be a small number of charters from London airports but dare I say if Man City reach the final very few indeed.
Looking further ahead to the European Championships in 2020 both semi-finals and the final are to be played at Wembley. Also there is talk of the Super Bowl final being played at Wembley - that will be interesting!
Also Ruby Union teams (Saracens and Northampton) regularly fly from Luton as well as a number of charters involved in Formula One races in Europe. They all have to fly from somewhere in the south east.

southside bobby
17th Mar 2018, 07:39
BBC reporting noise complaints up 800% at LTN..

WilliumMate
17th Mar 2018, 07:52
Number of complaints in 2016 slightly under 4000.

The airport said in 2016 it started a "Noise Insulation Scheme", which can offer double glazing, secondary glazing, and insulation to residents.
Last year, 38 properties were insulated with more planned for this year.
Number of complaints in 2017 slightly over 15000.

Funny that.

:hmm:

southside bobby
17th Mar 2018, 08:08
& apparently 441 complaints in 2015.

LTNman
17th Mar 2018, 09:25
Most of the complaints come from just a handful of people. The number one location for complaints is actually St Albans who like the convenience of Luton as long as the aircraft don’t fly near their houses.

The issue is that the aircraft now follow narrow corridors rather than the noise being shared out.

southside bobby
17th Mar 2018, 09:35
Locales for the complaints include...

Flamstead
Harpenden
Markyate
Sandridge
StAlbans
Stevenage
& Wheathamstead...

Lee Baker Street
17th Mar 2018, 10:50
Both the airport management and LBC have acknowledged in the past that most complaints are by the same individuals. From St Albans train station I can see some LTN flights to the north and hear a faint engine sound but I love to watch LHR traffic heavies climbing overhead on full power once clearance is given to begin their main climb! If anyone wants to hear real aircraft noise then Elstree and Borehamwood and Radlet get it all day long and not a murmur from it's residents!

ericlday
17th Mar 2018, 11:24
Interesting LBS....I wonder how many LHR departures are causing noise disturbance and people are classing them as 'them noisy planes from LTN' ?

cj241101
17th Mar 2018, 13:14
As far as Arsenal are concerned (Europa League) there next match is in Moscow and if they reach the final that will be played in Lyon this year in May so that should have no effect. Regarding the Champions League only Manchester City and Liverpool are left in and playing each other in the next round.
The point I was trying to make, perhaps not very clearly, is that, looking ahead to the next football season, teams from Europe drawn against teams from London always fly in during the day before the match. Invariably they go home after the match which means a departure during the night period. During the past month, Barcelona (21st Feb 0100) Juventus (6th March 0138) and Inter Milan (16 March 0156) have all departed Luton in the early hours. So if ad-hoc flights are in future refused night slots they will either have to depart the following day or go elsewhere, although I'm not sure where else they can go. Maybe the airport will reserve some night slots for VIP flights, including football teams, given the prestige that perhaps goes with handling them.

southside bobby
17th Mar 2018, 13:24
Restrictions aside....football teams flying thru are de rigueur for many airports nowadays not much prestige involved I would hesitate to add..

Mr Optimistic
17th Mar 2018, 16:40
Do I understand this correctly, 15000 complaints by just a few individuals? Even if it was 100 people that's one complaint every two days. They must be making their own lives miserable if that becomes the focus of their day.

pabely
17th Mar 2018, 17:05
BBC News says 15,000 in 3 years Noise complaints soar at London Luton Airport - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43413825) and "Just 20 people were behind 72% of complaints while almost half of all complaints (6,700) came from the same five residents in Harpenden"

Then "Complaints rose from 441 in 2015, to 1,024 in 2016 and 1,485 in 2017 and campaigners said they had "not seen any changes" in noise reduction. " so I think this is number of single individuals?

Mr Optimistic
17th Mar 2018, 17:29
Yes, just read that myself. Unbelievable. On average making four complaints a day each. They perhaps should move for their own mental health. Liked the quote on BBC about noise moving sideways too.

cj241101
17th Mar 2018, 21:39
Restrictions aside....football teams flying thru are de rigueur for many airports nowadays not much prestige involved I would hesitate to add..
Swansea and Watford maybe not (please, no complaints!). The likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid for starters are a different matter and still have an aura about them. As far as UK airports are concerned they probably only ever use the London airports, usually Luton, plus Manchester and Liverpool.
Interesting to see what happens next season if any of the London based teams get drawn to play any of Europe's biggest clubs.

LTNman
17th Mar 2018, 22:58
It is ironic that in the year that the airport gets a capacity boost it finds itself having to turn business away.

commit aviation
18th Mar 2018, 17:16
It is probably worth bearing in mind these restrictions appear to apply to Summer seasons only. The fact that airlines fly a reduced programme in the winter means less pressure on night slots. So the early stages of European football competitions shouldn't present a problem.

....& dare I suggest that based on the current performance of the London clubs to get beyond the last 16 there may not be a problem at all!!! :O:O:O

Buster the Bear
19th Mar 2018, 11:59
World Cup sponsors might have problems this summer.

kenparry
19th Mar 2018, 18:41
BBC News says 15,000 in 3 years Noise complaints soar at London Luton Airport - BBC News and "Just 20 people were behind 72% of complaints while almost half of all complaints (6,700) came from the same five residents in Harpenden"

Then "Complaints rose from 441 in 2015, to 1,024 in 2016 and 1,485 in 2017 and campaigners said they had "not seen any changes" in noise reduction. " so I think this is number of single individuals?

Nothing new in that. Back in the early 90s when I worked for a LTN-based airline, I was in a meeting with our MD and an official from the D of T (or whatever that week's name was.) The latter threw in that the previous year had produced 600 or so (can't remember the exact number from 25 years back) noise complaints; short pause; "of which all but about 40 were from the same resident of Harpenden." The total was certainly way above the 441 quoted for 2015.

pabely
19th Mar 2018, 19:03
Nothing new in that. Back in the early 90s when I worked for a LTN-based airline, I was in a meeting with our MD and an official from the D of T (or whatever that week's name was.) The latter threw in that the previous year had produced 600 or so (can't remember the exact number from 25 years back) noise complaints; short pause; "of which all but about 40 were from the same resident of Harpenden." The total was certainly way above the 441 quoted for 2015.

Probably quite a few 737-200 around then!

pabely
20th Mar 2018, 22:56
I know it's a long way off but these are sporting events which might generate quite a few Ad-Hoc movements which would have to be accomodated somewhere Major League Baseball: London Stadium games set for 2019 - BBC Sport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/43473214)

LTNman
21st Mar 2018, 12:21
Just the first hints that the ground floor terminal extension might open for Easter. I had a little peek today behind the still boarded up terminal extension to see that all the new retail units are also boarded up with some having stickers on them announcing that they will be opening soon so clearly won't be open for when the public access the new build.

When it does open the new terminal entrances will remain closed as there is still a few months work to be completed yet outside the front of the terminal. On the positive side the extension makes the terminal seem quite wide when standing at one end. On the negative side what's happened to the proposed ceiling? Maybe that is the last job to be done?

Other news includes after the removal of the fairground hot dog stands the concrete plinths they all sat on due to the sloping ground have all been dug up and replaced with matching sloping tarmac. 3 of the 4 kiosks have been moved to 2 bus bays with the 4th now located by the drop off zone. The kiosks in the bus bays have lost I would say 80% of their business.

LTNman
21st Mar 2018, 17:30
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ardian-lutonairport-m-a/frances-ardian-prepares-sale-of-luton-airport-stake-sources-idUKKBN1GW1U6

With only 13 years left on the lease and Aena saying they will not buy the remaining 49% I can't see Ardian getting a huge sum.

phead
22nd Mar 2018, 07:36
I see cranfield has a expansion plan for decision next week (CB/17/5862/OUT) , would this pickup any of the private traffic pushed out from luton?

LTNman
22nd Mar 2018, 17:15
I thought they already did. From memory Harrods have some sort of parking arrangement at Cranfield.

22/04
22nd Mar 2018, 17:58
Cranfield currently has 3-6 private jets per day at present. Generally restricted to 08.00-19.00 so quite restrictive hours and outside controlled airspace. One of or two users do position in from LTN to avoid parking on longer stays.

LGS6753
23rd Mar 2018, 17:50
Slot allocations for S18:

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/LTN-S18-Start-of-Season-Report.pdf

Highlights:

Overall increase in seats: 2.4%
Major reduction in runway capacity 0500-0600 UTC (arrivals) largely offset by increases throughout the day as a result of new taxiway.
'New' regular operators: Air Europa (1pw), Albastar (1pw), Freebird, Maleth Aero, Travel Service (2pw).
Increases from Air Nostrum (Vigo), Blue Air (+5.1% seats), EasyJet (+6.2%), El Al (+11%), Ryanair (+2.8%), Sun Express (+245%), Thomas Cook (+316%), Wizzair (+22.4%).
Major reductions from Monarch (100%), Vueling (-24%), TUI (-20%).
One Corsair A330-300, 2 Aeroflot, 8 Azerbaijan (F1 GP) planned.

pabely
23rd Mar 2018, 19:45
Interesting that EAT (DHL) & MNG do not appear affected and Transavia France now a no show, I thought they were to return just for summer but obviously not now. Aer Lingus to Dublin cancelled!

LTNman
23rd Mar 2018, 20:31
I think A300 overnight movements are banned for summer 2019 and not this year. Certainly the general overnight movements for this year have been nearly halved.

Also wondering if Luton will end cargo flights seeing that they only have 2 stands and they biggest customer flies A300's.

Buster the Bear
23rd Mar 2018, 20:45
Aer Lingus to Dublin would be a superb route with interline onto long haul.

davidjohnson6
24th Mar 2018, 11:07
Anyone know what brings Maleth Aero to Luton ? I'm guessing it's a charter for some sort of holiday flight, but would be interested to know any details

compton3bravo
24th Mar 2018, 17:57
Maleth Aero operate some freight B737s whether they are connected with the new DHL routes to Dublin and Porto could be a possibility, but more likely for charters to the World Cup and F1. I see Blueair are to operate to Constanta according to ACL but nothing on their web site. Don't forget DHL operate a large B757 fleet so am I right in thinking these would be in the noise limits. MNG operate an A330 into Luton so would that be also be within the noise constraints?

port_94
25th Mar 2018, 09:56
The new Prett has opened at the former Bar 10 unit and it’s very nice. Very relaxed seating and typical prett music. Very good addition, just a shame no one knows unless their gate is in the single figures

Talking of gates, the new gate numbers have been released for peir B 30,32,34&36 for stand side and 31,33,35&37 for the coached side

So 8 new gates in the peir

pabely
25th Mar 2018, 13:39
Talking of gates, the new gate numbers have been released for pier B 30,32,34&36 for stand side and 31,33,35&37 for the coached side

Coach side for South Stands, even less room for Harrods & Signature then. I'm sure LTNman had a date when they were to be fully handed back.

LTNman
25th Mar 2018, 14:08
The 53,000 sq ft of extra apron was handed back on March 24th. The additional temporary rented stands were parking up to 6 extra aircraft on the 2 stands, which just shows how much traffic Luton is turning away for a lack of parking.

Seems again that Luton has no spare night stands for 2018 although another 2 will be released for next year when the builders compounds go.

In 2020 more existing stands will go back to the airport so cutting biz jet parking again.

FRatSTN
26th Mar 2018, 09:52
https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/holidays-are-coming-three-new-distinations-added-to-luton-airport-offering-and-25-000-more-seats-1-8431852

New routes to Heraklion and Thessaloniki (Halkidiki)
Continuation of Hurghada (Egypt) into Summer
Additional flights to Dalaman
+25,000 additional seats

planedrive
26th Mar 2018, 10:56
Is the builders compound on 46(?) going to be removed when Pier B comes into service? Airport literature around says that there should be trials of Pier B before Easter with it coming into full service just after. Costa, WH Smiths and M&S will be closing on the 3rd of April in Temporary Arrivals for around 3 weeks whilst their new shops in the extension are finished. Presumably this is the date (3rd) when the new arrivals route will open?

LTNman
26th Mar 2018, 12:45
I can't see this builders compound being removed until around the end of the year due to ongoing work in the rest of the terminal, much of it hasn't even been started yet. If that is the case the bus stands on the south side of pier B can't open as the buses won't have an exit route.

LTNman
26th Mar 2018, 13:17
I was thinking that the removal of the funfair hotdog type kiosks was permanent to make the airport look more like an airport but with the builders fence being moved further across to accommodate building work to the front of the terminal I am thinking it won't be long before they are all put back. Passengers seem to like them though.
https://i.imgur.com/zfGINJp.jpg

The front of the terminal has made a temporary appearance due to the moving of the fence but will disappear soon when the boarding goes back up. Passengers will have a choice to enter and leave the terminal via ramps or stairs.
https://i.imgur.com/JMjb2PP.jpg

The temporary drop off zone continues to make progress. The second multistory will be located between the end of the drop off zone and the existing multistory.
https://i.imgur.com/5yzjzy9.jpg

As can be seen the pay barriers will face the south stands.
https://i.imgur.com/FdH2nDm.jpg

Meanwhile on the other side of the airport the terminal extension above the immigration hall is being clad.
https://i.imgur.com/F0N8Cj9.jpg

canberra97
26th Mar 2018, 17:09
Great photos as ever and I for one always appreciate them.

Regarding the photo of the terminal extension where the former bus station was situated, I notice that lampposts have been installed, now I wonder how this will affect the highly anticipated ''canopy''!

LTNman
26th Mar 2018, 17:39
Those lampposts were installed in 2015 as can be seen in this photo dated early 2016.
https://i.imgur.com/E9kmtj7.jpg

They are actually shorter than the surrounding lighting that is away from the front of the terminal so I have always assumed they will be covered/ just covered/ nearly covered by the canopy.

Hard to really tell in this photo but there is a size difference if a comparison is made of the column lengths.

https://i.imgur.com/7J6BJhK.jpg

canberra97
26th Mar 2018, 18:29
Thanks for posting the above photo and yes in that view you can clearly see that the lampposts are indeed shorter than they looked in your previous photo so they could very well fit under the much expected canopy and I'm really looking forward to your photos of that once it's been installed.

LTNman
26th Mar 2018, 19:20
I also look forward to the canopy as it will be the airports signature. The trouble is that I had my apatite whetted by this beauty in 2014.
https://i.imgur.com/97Wczf8.jpg

It doesn't look that good when this came out a couple of years later. As discussed sometime ago if this is the final shape it looks like stretched canvas. :yuk:
https://i.imgur.com/MyQSnF5.jpg

This is a comparison shot with my previous post of the entrance
https://i.imgur.com/cEtyHLN.jpg

Also the airport have published this which shows a curved wall
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/vp/a9cde7786db6ab711b5ed97b6e1a055e/5B326848/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/29415561_962275663947617_5796151197375135744_n.jpg

Yahoo!®
26th Mar 2018, 20:48
Great photos once again - even though I work here every day I always look forward to your photos!

Buster the Bear
26th Mar 2018, 23:38
Oh what a lovely shade of grey.

I thought Addison Lee were the nominated private hire company, and yet it looks like another firm is queuing , or is that an old photo?

LTNman
27th Mar 2018, 04:54
I quite like the shade of grey as it matches my car:ok: Addison Lee still operate the taxi fleet.

One thing that I have noticed over the years is that damage caused to the construction is not normally fixed. A machine gave the top of the entrance a glancing blow knocking it out of shape and it has just been left.

Over at the footbridge when the floor was being painted a wide 2 metre pool of grey paint ran down the white support pillar underneath and was never repainted white. The bridge was never cleaned either and was just handed over in a filthy state. The bridge is still in a filthy state with dust covered grimy stained internal walls.

Falcon666
28th Mar 2018, 02:06
Taxiway Foxtrot

Noticed this is now out to tender , expected start date July2018 - finished date May 2019.
Estimated cost £7 mil
They appear to be also tendering for de icing pads as well
It will be a code D taxiway which could either be 18 or 23 mtrs wide depending on a/c type expected to use it?

LTNman
28th Mar 2018, 05:06
I assumed the 3 new taxiways were already won by the company that did the extension to Taxiway Bravo, did the enabling work for the DART and is now working in short term car park.

Wonder if the deicing pads/ pavements will be in a new area or still on the south stands? Will the work just mean the changing of the surface material or just the provision of drainage to capture the de-icer run off?

planedrive
28th Mar 2018, 13:36
According to the airport recently, the new Taxiway F will be the remote de-icing in future.

vintage ATCO
28th Mar 2018, 18:07
Where's taxiway F going? Anyone got a plan?

LTNman
28th Mar 2018, 18:38
https://i.imgur.com/DAPfMOD.jpg

According to the airport recently, the new Taxiway F will be the remote de-icing in future.

If that is the case how would traffic from the main apron get to Foxtrot if departures were on 08 as aircraft would be crossing the bridge first as ATC sort of runs a one way system?

The builders have taken down the covers that hid the terminal extension.:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk: All the retail units are boarded up as expected but I have to say the public concourse is lacking a ceiling. I am hoping it isn't finished but we will have to see as every service from trunking, cabling, ducting, angle iron and pipework is on show in various colours and everything stands out like a sore thumb as the services are quite low. A complete mess comes to mind if I am honest.

Outside the ground from the side of the new entrance is being butt up with the existing tarmac by the temporary entrance, which is why the fence was moved and looks like it could even open shortly. There is not a hint of any foundations being laid for the canopy so I am now wondering whether the canopy has been abandoned as once the new entrance opens the builders won't be able to fix a roof above passengers heads.

Worst case scenario is no canopy and no ceiling but with the building costs out of control and the airport about to rip up newly completed projects it might be the case that we should be grateful the airport didn't replace the tiled terminal floor with even more tarmac. :eek::{

vintage ATCO
28th Mar 2018, 18:44
They'll be bonkers if they don't make it Code E and 23m.

LTNman
28th Mar 2018, 19:15
Its going to be code D. So what code is taxiway Echo? I know that is restricted to smaller wingspans which cause issues at Luton. Also if taxiway Foxtrot is D would that not make Delta also code D as it will run parallel?

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/tenders/index/view/ref/2018--S__056-123245/previous/page-1-keyword--country-UK-mainactivity--status-Contract%20notice-codenuts-

Musket90
28th Mar 2018, 20:37
I believe the new Foxtrot will be Code D only because of constraints with adjacent car parking and ground issues. According to the AIP entry Echo is restricted to max B757/A321 which is at the lower end of Code D. Presumably the separation distance between the new Foxtrot and existing Delta will be sufficient to enable Code C on Foxtrot and up to Code D/E on Delta which maybe shouldn't cause to much of a problem given that the airport operates predominantly Code C aircraft.

planedrive
28th Mar 2018, 21:28
Confirmed today that temporary arrivals will close and new arrival route will open at 0001 on Wednesday 4th April. Still seems like rather a lot of work to be done before then!

LTNman
29th Mar 2018, 01:59
So is Taxiway Delta code D or E since the Eastern Apron was made 8 metres wider? Did El Al bring in any B777 last summer?

Spanish eyes
29th Mar 2018, 06:24
Confirmed today that temporary arrivals will close and new arrival route will open at 0001 on Wednesday 4th April. Still seems like rather a lot of work to be done before then!

It actually looks awful and yes it is because no ceiling has been put up so I was quite shocked when I saw it for the first time. Luton has a bit of a history in accepting projects that arn't finished or have not been snagged properly. This isn't helped by the airport always going for the cheapest finish to save money while throwing money away in other areas by digging up what has already been completed.

The mid term car park wasn't finished when they accepted it as there were piles of material abandoned over a large area by the entrance for over a year. It has only just been completed by a different company who are doing other work on site as they prepare for the DART.

As mentioned before by others the footbridges and cores where handed over in a filthy state, many of the internal supporting beams were covered in thick indelible pen markings by the builders who used the beams as chalk boards. There was builders dust everywhere and a year later the walls could still do with a power wash as the walkways looks like they are from an east end slum.

Even when all the work is finished I really can't see the airport coming off the bottom position in the Which passenger survey.

Spanish eyes
29th Mar 2018, 10:26
For some reason my eyes are just drawn to the roof space. Work in progress or this is it? Answers on a postcard.

https://i.imgur.com/VInd6On.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LSEHMT5.jpg

planedrive
29th Mar 2018, 12:33
To me, that looks half finished. Hopefully the ceiling beams will be going in at a later date. They have finished that way upstairs so it would be weird if they didn't finish in the same style here. Although it is Luton...

LTNman
29th Mar 2018, 16:19
I am thinking one of the new entrances will be open for the moving of arrivals next week.

Captain_Caveman
29th Mar 2018, 16:22
M&S isn’t due to open until halfway through the summer !

LTNman
29th Mar 2018, 18:56
Pret looks like it will open soon. Starbucks and Costco seem a long way off with M&S behind a still closed off section of concourse. Don’t think Burger King will be opening any time soon either. Also the bar seems to be going.

AvGeek1
29th Mar 2018, 19:11
Anyone have more information on the new retail units in departures and when they will open? Still waiting for Chanel, Collection Duty Free, Hamleys, Next, Oriel Brassiere, Skinnydip London & The Bookshop by WH Smith (maybe more?)

LTNman
29th Mar 2018, 22:25
With the exception of WH Smith and Oriel most of the new retailers in the departures extension will have low passenger footfall so will the overcrowding inside departures actually be reduced this summer? Can’t see any new free seating areas being created either.

The airport have confirmed the opening of one of the new entrances will coincide with the opening of the new arrivals area and have mentioned the lack of retail units for a while.

WH Smith have opened their new shop and closed their old shop by the check-in area.

ClearLand08
30th Mar 2018, 14:30
My flight to Nice was delayed by 4 hours last night, so I took a few pics:

https://i.imgur.com/jzTH7uS.jpg
First outside, a shelter for people waiting for the shuttle bus. Not sure how long this has been up, but I haven't noticed it before.

https://i.imgur.com/IXbEI2Y.jpg
Gates 1 and 2 in the old "portacabin" area.

https://i.imgur.com/7YFKLe1.jpg
Gates 3, 4 and 5.

https://i.imgur.com/mPDXNct.jpg
Gate 6

https://i.imgur.com/UNViiGa.jpg
Gate 7

.. and it never occurred to me before, but there are no gates 8 and 9 now. At least I couldn't see them!

https://i.imgur.com/wZ0YalU.jpg
Gate 10

https://i.imgur.com/1Ks51Ho.jpg
Looking back up the departures link to the main terminal and pier A. The area on the left behind the hoardings is the first floor extension above the immigration hall, which I think will be a new boarding gate and retail unit.

https://i.imgur.com/vupZjh6.jpg
Given the recent posts, I thought I'd take a picture of the ceiling in the new retail departure lounge area. I agree with other posters that surely they will apply the same finish downstairs.

LTNman
30th Mar 2018, 17:09
The shuttle bus shelter has been there for around a month or two. There was meant to be a covered walkway to the shuttle bus stop but it was never installed. The shelter is quite rough and where it is attached to the ground the tarmac around the feet are like mole hills as seen in Clearland08 photo

The third photo shows the former duty free shop. The photo below shows the entrance by what was the departure lounge to the original terminal extension around 2000

https://i.imgur.com/U8GnPS1.jpg

The photo below is looking at gate 6 in the 90's. It is ironic that the departure lounge had more free seating then than now. Make a note of how ceilings used to look like at Luton!!! Seems better than putting up planks of wood with large gaps between them.
https://i.imgur.com/iAJAECM.jpg

The fifth photo shows the mezzanine floor that was added to the departure lounge. I was there the day it opened, it was an exciting day for the airport

Musket90
30th Mar 2018, 19:54
Taxiway Delta is Code D but on the few occasions Code E types need to use it a follow me etc is provided to ensure wingtip clearance is not compromised.
I believe the proposed taxiway Foxtrot will be Code D but should a larger Code E type need to use Delta then it's likely to be restricted to Code C to ensure wingtip clearance between the two
taxiways is maintained. Should be easily managed.

compton3bravo
30th Mar 2018, 19:54
Looks like six diversions this evening due to the problems at Stansted.

LTNman
30th Mar 2018, 20:27
Let me guess, easyjet and Ryanair

PAXboy
30th Mar 2018, 21:31
The bus shelter looks like it is open on all four sides? If so, then 'shelter' not the correct term!

Doors to Automatic
30th Mar 2018, 23:04
Does anyone know why the new taxiways to the Eastern and Western ends of the runway don't go to the ends of the runway but cut in 500ft or so from each threshold? Doesn't seem to make sense to me?

pabely
31st Mar 2018, 00:37
Does anyone know wht the new taxiways to the Eastern and Western ends of the runway don't go to the ends of the runway but cut in 500ft or so from each threshold? Doesn't seem to make sense to me?

The land cuts downwards very quickly at both ends, 08 will have the DART soon and would have come in much deeper if a taxiway went right to the end. It's all down to costs vs benefit.

LTNman
31st Mar 2018, 02:41
The actual reason given is that all aspects of the airport ie runway capacity/ stand capacity / terminal capacity/ CTA capacity is optimised for 18 million passengers. If the taxiways went to the ends of the runway the money spent would be wasted as the rest of the airport infrastructure could not cope with a higher runway rate. Worth noting that some biz jets still backtrack on 08.

Now with the airport planning to bring in up to an extra 18 million passengers it might well have been a false economy. All will be revealed in June!!!

Scrotchidson
31st Mar 2018, 09:51
I don't think there would have been any additional capacity had the taxiway been extended to the 08 turning circle. It's a small backtrack now that can be done without increasing the gap on the approach compared to a departure from Bravo now.

It's more dictated on how quickly an aircraft can vacate the runway and without RET's (which won't happen) there won't be any further capacity gains in terms of runway movements until there's airspace and SID changes.