PDA

View Full Version : Luton-9

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

LGS6753
7th Nov 2017, 20:51
I've been looking at WizzAir's 2018 summer schedule.

They seem to have dropped Split, but are planning to operate 360 flights per week - roughly the equivalent of a 17-aircraft base - on the following routes:

Bosnia - Tuzla 2pw
Bulgaria (30) - Bourgas 3, Sofia 17, Varna 10
Czechia (10) - Brno 3, Prague 7
Georgia - Kutaisi 2
Hungary (41) - Budapest 31, Debrecen 10
Israel - Tel Aviv 4
Kosovo - Pristina 2
Latvia - Riga 14
Lithuania (25) - Kaunas 7, Palanga 4,Vilnius 14
Macedonia (7) - Ohrid 2, Skopje 5
Moldova - Chisinau 5
Poland (97) - Gdansk 19, Katowice 20, Lublin 7, Olsztyn-Mazury 3, Poznan 12, Szczecin 3, Warsaw 23, Wroclaw 10
Romania (82) - Bucharest 21, Cluj-Napoca 19, Constanta 4, Craiova 7, Iasi 7, Satu Mare 2, Sibiu 5, Suceava 5, Timisoara 7, Tirgu Mures 5
Serbia - Belgrade 3
Slovakia (6) - Kosice 3, Poprad-Tatry 3
Slovenia - Ljubljana 4
Ukraine - Kiev 4

17 countries, 41 destinations.

Falcon666
7th Nov 2017, 21:13
Wizz

I wouldn't read too much into that just yet.
They only appear to have loaded flights for one LTN based a/c for S18 at the moment.
There were three based in S17

Maybe they are awaiting further slots before loading the full programme.
IIRC Split was an early morning departure along with Varna and Bourgas in S17

Out of curiosity what is the latest on the Monarch HQ.
Is it now empty and shut ?

LTNman
7th Nov 2017, 21:48
If I didn’t know Monarch had gone belly up I would never have guessed when looking at their HQ. The building is still occupied, the lights are still on and there are plenty of cars in their car park.

gilesdavies
7th Nov 2017, 21:58
@LG6753

Nice bit of work, looking into all of that...

Looking pretty similar to this year, so no huge surprises there. But by documenting this makes you realise how impressive Wizz are at LTN!

Shame about Split if it has been dropped, and I suspect it has as the other summer seasonal flights to Tuzla and Ohrid are on sale, so there is no reason why Split wouldn't be on sale if the route was going to operate.

@Falcon666
On the two occasions I flew to Split this summer, it was roughly a 1-2pm departure and arrived back at Luton around 8pm, and was operated by a Kaunas based aircraft and crew.

Wizz Air had the Luton to Split market to itself until this Summer when easyJet also started on the route, and suspect this might be a likely cause. Also easyJet are operating the route daily next summer when it was 3x weekly this summer, and Wizz was 3-5x daily.

I've used the route numerous times, and Wizz use to charge some pretty handsome prices in the summer months when they had the route to themselves, and this year prices were noticeably cheaper, once easyJet were biting at their heels.

As the Split route is primarily used by Brits going on holiday, I guess easyJet have the upper hand as more of a household name, than Wizz does, despite them operating it for the last six or seven years. Also easyJet have opened up routes to Zadar and Dubrovnik on the Croatian coast too this year.

Wizz doesn't seem to have had much luck with Croatia, having dropped routes to Zagreb, Osijek and Dubrovnik in recent years...

Falcon666
8th Nov 2017, 01:44
Giles
Thanks for that , I stand corrected.
Delving a bit more deeply shows the following for the three based a/c for S18

A/C 1. O6.00 dep Constanta 1,3,5,7. Varna 2,4,6.
A/C 2 07.50 dep Kaunas. Daily
A/C 3. 07.30 dep Ljubljana 2,4,6,7. Olystyn 1,3,5

I was looking for much earlier departure times as S17 had 05.50 and 06.00 times.

There is the possibility that the Kaunas flight does originate from elsewhere before departing at 07.50 am but I can't see it at the moment.

So all three based have schedules loaded??

Looks like Easy will have Split to themselves

LTNman
8th Nov 2017, 03:58
Those Luton departures for aircraft 2 and 3 are late leaving. This summer 2 Wizz were leaving at 5:45 while the 3rd was gone by just after 6. If this schedule is correct they are now hanging around until the first wave is already starting to leave on a return leg.

Looking at today’s departure board they have a departure at 5:45 and another one at 6:05 so seem to be down to 2 based aircraft for the winter.

robbie1973
8th Nov 2017, 04:18
The first wave of Wizz flights start to arrive at around 07:00 so the 07:30/07:50 departures are likely to be these and not the based aircraft.

compton3bravo
8th Nov 2017, 06:58
The AGM of Wizzair takes place today, would not be surprised to see some new routes announced. The shareholders must be pleased with the shares trading at £34 having originally opened at £17.

compton3bravo
8th Nov 2017, 07:38
Sorry, got my facts wrong only half year results today, profits up but shares down £2 just goes to show you can't please everybody.

AirportPlanner1
8th Nov 2017, 08:38
Wizz have reportedly bought a 49% stake in Borajet and it will be rebranded Wizzair Turkey. So probably expect new routes to Istanbul etc in the near future.

LTNman
8th Nov 2017, 09:52
According to the BBC both Wizz and Easyjet are after Monarch’s Gatwick slots. Wonder what impact this would have on Wizz’s Luton operation if they got a foothold into Gatwick?

I remember when Easyjet first started to expand into Gatwick as Luton took a hit.

Buster the Bear
8th Nov 2017, 11:07
Wizz Air's boss is keen on Monarch's Luton slots (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/08/wizz-airs-boss-keen-monarchs-luton-slots/)

pabely
8th Nov 2017, 11:08
Wizz have reportedly bought a 49% stake in Borajet and it will be rebranded Wizzair Turkey. So probably expect new routes to Istanbul etc in the near future.

This could be massive with the new international airport coming on-line in less than 12 months

compton3bravo
8th Nov 2017, 11:09
Wizz tried Gatwick a few years ago but did not last long, we shall have to see what happens. Regarding the Turkish situation yes I can see Istanbul from Luton in the not too foreseeable future.

Buster the Bear
8th Nov 2017, 11:10
Using Google Translate

As the first and only regional airline company in Turkey, Borajet Airlines has been operating since 2010 and has been sold to SBK Holding by Yalçın Ayaslı, a businessman who survived in the last days of last year.

Sezgin Baran Korkmaz owns SBK Holding, which lasted until April, when he passed away, and then announced that he was stopping flights with a sudden decision to enter the restructuring process.

Since April 24, 2017, only airline passengers who are flying in the framework of an agreement with Turkish Airlines have begun to talk again about changing hands.

According to AirportHaber, Borajet aspires to a foreign airline. It was alleged that WizzAir's negotiations with Borajet officials, one of Europe's leading low-cost airlines, had been positive and 49 per cent of the company would be taken over by the Hungarian airline.

FLIGHTS SHOULD MAKE AIRBUSES

According to the same report; the management of the company will be created by WizzAir. Also all team planning and recruitment processes will be carried out by WizzAir again.

On the other hand, after the share transfer process, in the first stage 5 airbus A321 aircraft will be included in the Borajet fleet in January 2018. After the merger, low-cost transport will be carried out in the name of Wizz Air, not Borajet.

It is stated that the company will use Sabiha Gökçen Airport as its hub and will carry out both domestic and international flights from here.

It is stated that the future of Borajet will be evident after the negotiations with WizzAir, which was declared its foundation in 2003 and continued its flight activities since 2004.

28 CENTERS HIGHLIGHTS

Wizz Air, which carried out its first flight on May 19, 2004, now has flights to hundreds of destinations from 28 different centers.

The company, which has 86 airplanes, carries its flights with Airbus A320 and A321 aircraft. Wizz Air, one of Europe's youngest flags, has an average age of about 4.

9 MONTHS MORE THAN 21 MILLION PASSENGER TRANSPORT

The company's shares, which were offered to the public on February 25, 2015, are traded on the London Stock Exchange.

The company traded under the WIZZ brand in the London Stock Exchange has more than 3 employees.

In January-September of 2017 according to the average 9-month period of 91.84 percent of the average flight rate of Wizz Air, this process served a total of 21 million 201 thousand 589 passengers.

pabely
8th Nov 2017, 11:10
Wizz Air's boss is keen on Monarch's Luton slots (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/08/wizz-airs-boss-keen-monarchs-luton-slots/)

So the next question is how quickly the slots get allocated after a period of applying for them?

compton3bravo
8th Nov 2017, 11:16
KPMG have been granted a Judicial Review by the High Court regarding the slot issue so it might be a little time yet.

pabely
8th Nov 2017, 11:17
It is stated that the company will use Sabiha Gökçen Airport as its hub and will carry out both domestic and international flights from here.

If it is to be based at Gökçen, then that is the Asian side of Istanbul, does that not produce additional problems in route rights?

compton3bravo
8th Nov 2017, 12:40
October passenger figures just been released. A total of 1,405,751 passengers used the airport in October up 2.9 per cent on October 2016. Rolling 12 month figures are 15,763,162 up 10.8 per cent. Over 72,000 passengers travelled between Luton and Amsterdam in October 2017.

Falcon666
8th Nov 2017, 12:49
Re Wizz schedule.

Looked at w/c 9/7/18 and it clearly shows that apart from the 06.00am (VAR, 2,4,6 CND 1,3,5,7)flight, the next departure is 07.30am (LJU 2,4,6,7 SZY 1,3,5)

These two look the based a/c but can't see a third at the moment.
Still more to come??

southside bobby
8th Nov 2017, 13:31
October.
An increase is an increase...however the loss of MON is readily apparent in the figures now & if the repatriation flights are stripped out would be in negative territory.
A clearer picture this month.

LTNman
8th Nov 2017, 15:18
The terminal seems very quiet this month, in fact the airport is a nice place to visit

KPMG have been granted a Judicial Review by the High Court regarding the slot issue so it might be a little time yet.

I would think only the Gatwick slots have value so the court case is about Gatwick

Lee Baker Street
8th Nov 2017, 15:22
So far MAG are pleased that Greybull have lost the right to sell slots at Manchester. The ruling for both LTN and LGW are to be appealed by KPMG.

Until the matter has been dealt with, LTN can not reallocate those slots but I’m sure they will be snapped up, eventually.

southside bobby
8th Nov 2017, 15:34
With respect..."snapped up,eventually" is an oxymoron isn't it?.

LAX_LHR
8th Nov 2017, 15:38
I would think only the Gatwick slots have value so the court case is about Gatwick

The media have certainly made this very Gatwick centric, but interestingly, the only airport to make a submission as an 'interviening airport' were MAG on behalf of MAN, so one wonders why they in particular went to court to get the slots released, they wouldn't have done it for the craic.

1sky
8th Nov 2017, 17:07
Wizz tried Gatwick a few years ago but did not last long, we shall have to see what happens. Regarding the Turkish situation yes I can see Istanbul from Luton in the not too foreseeable future.

Wizz operate Bucharest-LGW.

pabely
8th Nov 2017, 17:41

And Luton but up until 17th November Monarch administrators fight to keep hold of lucrative landing slots (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/08/blow-greybull-high-court-strips-monarch-lucrative-gatwick-landing/)

BlueA330
8th Nov 2017, 21:28
October passenger figures just been released. A total of 1,405,751 passengers used the airport in October up 2.9 per cent on October 2016. Rolling 12 month figures are 15,763,162 up 10.8 per cent. Over 72,000 passengers travelled between Luton and Amsterdam in October 2017.
Interesting to note that this figure is now higher than Copenhagen at its peak

Lee Baker Street
9th Nov 2017, 16:28
And Luton but up until 17th November Monarch administrators fight to keep hold of lucrative landing slots (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/08/blow-greybull-high-court-strips-monarch-lucrative-gatwick-landing/)

Does anyone know how many slots Monarch has at Luton?

I remember several years ago up to 22 movements in one given day, that being on a Sunday.

Lee Baker Street
9th Nov 2017, 16:42
With respect..."snapped up,eventually" is an oxymoron isn't it?.

With my deepest respect Southside Bobby, this issue with Monarch and the outcome in relation to airport slots-is a 'drama'!

Lee Baker Street
9th Nov 2017, 17:03
October.
An increase is an increase...however the loss of MON is readily apparent in the figures now & if the repatriation flights are stripped out would be in negative territory.
A clearer picture this month.

You are wrong southside!

Whilst those slots remain suspended, this winter period at LTN consists of 21 weeks or 147 days. For this whole period Monarch offered 254,187 seats, which equates to an average 9 movements a day but with possibly only 65% of seats per flight being sold.

I estimate that for November through to March 2018 approximately 27000-28000 passenger growth will be achieved each consecutive month.

Once the issue of slots has been dealt with and new flights are generated then the 2.8 or 2.9 % growth per month can only increase to that of handling an extra 70,000 to 80,000 pax per month!

AirportPlanner1
9th Nov 2017, 17:09
How many of the LTN slots are actually valuable though? I would imagine big interest in the first wave of departures (and of course some overnight stands to go with them) but beyond that weren't most of Monarchs arrivals and departures sort of early-mid afternoon and late evening when things are a bit leaner anyway?

compton3bravo
9th Nov 2017, 17:17
They had four early morning slots outbound plus a number in the afternoon and some late evening in the high season (July-September). The early morning 6-9 am - slots would be the ones most valuable I would suggest.
Got to disagree with you Southside regarding the negative figures for November. Monarch always flew less in the winter than most airlines, but happy to say I was wrong when the November figures are published. Stockholm was not going to be operated over the winter as well as Palma and the service to Gibraltar was reduced.

boeing_eng
10th Nov 2017, 18:21
As far as I'm aware no slots at LTN have been sold as such. Biz jets etc continue to use them on a tactical basis. As previously mentioned, the first wave morning departures will be the most sought after. Obviously, for a non-based carrier this involves crews in hotels and overnight maintenance etc so is not necessarily an easy move.

Buster the Bear
10th Nov 2017, 20:05
First wave morning departure slots are incredibly valuable to the airline that gets them considering how scare a commodity they are at London's 5 airports.

planedrive
11th Nov 2017, 12:51
New 08 taxiway should open on the 7th of December.

Lee Baker Street
12th Nov 2017, 12:45
Compton3bravo, you mention the Gibraltar service which to me is an important service that needs to be reinstated by another airline. No current operator at LTN covers this route.

planedrive
12th Nov 2017, 15:13
Expect EZY to operate GIB next summer. New route announcements usually around the 12/13th December for Summer.

compton3bravo
12th Nov 2017, 18:45
Yes some days there are just two scheduled flights, Easy to Gatwick and BA to Heathrow plus the odd executive aircraft. Of course the RAF are there but what I have seen of the Typhoon it looks more like a gate guardian! The Gibraltar Tourist Board are crossing there fingers and everything else hoping the service to Luton is reinstated asap.

Lee J
12th Nov 2017, 20:06
As someone who lives in Gibraltar and flies to the UK 2 or 3 times a month for work, I'm not hearing that Luton is an important service, at least from this direction - although I'd be surprised if Easy don't pick it up.

London has the choice of 2 airports every day yet for destinations any further up North there are only 2 flights a WEEK - down from 8 flights from Manchester.

Lee Baker Street
13th Nov 2017, 03:24
LTN was handling up to 7000 pax in a good month, admittedly not huge, but suggests there is a market worth continuing.

Buster the Bear
13th Nov 2017, 11:48
Travel Trade confirming recent route/airline announcements.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/292080/thomas-cook-adds-eight-luton-routes-following-monarch-collapse

MKY661
13th Nov 2017, 13:02
I indeed do expect EZY to step in with the LTN-GIB route, especially since Monarch operated more rotations on the LTN-GIB route than the MAN-GIB route (and this was the same even before EZY started MAN-GIB).

compton3bravo
13th Nov 2017, 19:49
I see one of the announcements in the Travel Weekly article is an extra El Al Tel Aviv on a Sunday until the end of March.

LGS6753
16th Nov 2017, 14:56
Confirmation of the three new routes by SunExpress from Airlineroute:

Antalya – London Luton 15JUN18 – 28SEP18 2 weekly
Ankara – London Luton 17JUN18 – 30SEP18 2 weekly
Gaziantep – London Luton 20JUN18 – 26SEP18 1 weekly

Falcon666
19th Nov 2017, 13:39
Latest NOTAM indicates that WIP for 08 Taxiway now finishes on the 27th Nov , a week earlier than previous.
Presumably work has progressed well overnight with minimal weather disruption!

Powerjet1
20th Nov 2017, 06:11
BBC Look East stating that Wizz Air will initially base 5 aircraft at Luton by next June. Also announced new routes to Larnaca, Tallinn & Tirana.

wallp
20th Nov 2017, 07:11
Interesting new routes. Tirana and Tallinn are obvious omissions from Wizz’s Eastern European myriad of routes. Presumably Larnaca will pick up some of the slack from the demise of Monarch. I wonder if they’ll target other ex Monarch routes?

Powerjet1
20th Nov 2017, 07:35
Bratislava & the previously operated route to Lviv, also appear in the booking engine re Wizz. Several other existing routes seem to get increases also.

planedrive
20th Nov 2017, 08:10
Will these 5 A/C be operated under WizzAir UK (i.e.: G-reg aircraft) or include the two that night stopped this summer from other wizzair bases?

compton3bravo
20th Nov 2017, 08:33
Daily to Tel Aviv, Bratislava, Larnaca and Suceava. Wonder if the daily Larnaca will have an impact on Blue Air although they have a large presence in Cyprus.

pabely
20th Nov 2017, 08:36
Do we know if these based frames are due to ex MON and allocated by ACL or due to the 08 work which has increased flow rates next summer?

Lee Baker Street
20th Nov 2017, 08:39
Very good news for the airport!

southside bobby
20th Nov 2017, 10:01
In further press coverage WZZ rule out transatlantic ambitions & will not be venturing into the Western Med.

Buster the Bear
20th Nov 2017, 10:05
WIZZ AIR’S FREQUENCY INCREASES ON EXISTING LUTON ROUTES:

Destination

Weekly flights

From

Tel Aviv, Israel

daily from 4

25 March 2018

Suceava, Romania

daily from 5

20 May 2018

Prishtina, Kosovo

3 from 2

25 March 2018

gilesdavies
20th Nov 2017, 10:34
Wow big news...

Congratulations to Wizz and LTN on securing the deal! :ok:

Being the kinda guy, whose glass is half empty and not half full, I wonder if a bit of the announcement might be "smoke and mirrors"...(?) :confused:

Going by the new routes announced, I'm not sure there is enough to cover 4-5 aircraft being based at the airport, so I wonder if a number of existing routes might switch to being operated by LTN based aircraft? Then that frees the aircraft up at other bases to open new routes.

For example the new aircraft could easily do a quick there and back rotation to Budapest or Warsaw, first thing in the morning and be back at LTN for midday-ish and then fly to Tel Aviv or Larnaca in the afternoon/evening...

The proof will be in the pudding, with the number of inbound Wizz Air flights first thing in the morning. I think at present, we see about 13-15 inbound and on the ground between 7.00-8.30am.

Can we assume by this announcement, Wizz Air has swallowed up Monarch's slots, or with the new apron space and parallel taxiway coming online soon, these slots were going to be available regardless?

I've flown Wizz numerous times this year and have been really impressed with them, friendly crew, nice aircraft and been on time.
BUT, a part of me is slightly disappointed, it is not a new airline or one of airports smaller customers expanding. As I do feel the airport is heavily dominated and too reliant on easyJet and Wizz.

I think the airline is making a sensible decision to not get entangled and involved in a price war on the summer routes to the likes of Spain and Portugal.

I do wonder if we will reach a point where Wizz cannot expand any further east of Germany, from Luton, as they have nearly every market sown up between London and eastern/central Europe? I wonder if the airline might look further afield to expand from Luton, possibly the likes of Moscow and St Petersburg, with a UK registered aircraft, as I believe two UK airlines can operate the route and since easyJet dropped it, there is room for a second airline to take up these rights. With them buying a stake in some Turkish Airline, I wonder if we will see them operate to Turkey more and they are very successful on the Dubai routes from cenral Europe, and that could be achievable with an A320/321neo from Luton.

Here's a nice InfoGraphic!
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/23737823_1498173800260034_6764303883477484910_o.jpg?oh=7aa3f 5918bcc543babb5602b71280290&oe=5A95E7A3

ericlday
20th Nov 2017, 11:02
So who will take up Tenerife that Monarch has vacated ?

compton3bravo
20th Nov 2017, 11:12
Plenty of airport's still to be served in central/eastern Europe yet Giles. Who would have thought that Suceava would go daily, I must admit I had never heard of it until Wizz started flying there.

gilesdavies
20th Nov 2017, 11:19

Ryanair and easyJet currently operate the route...

When you have Europe's two largest carriers flying to Tenerife from Luton, I highly doubt many other airlines really want to come between them and will leave it for them to flight it out!

easyJet fly it 3x weekly and Ryanair 2x weekly, each operating it on alternate days. I would imagine both airlines feel this covers the demand and without over saturating the market and pushing prices down.

Monarch had the Canary Island scheduled market to themselves for a number of years from Luton, and I would imagine with easyJet joining the market on these routes this summer, did them no favours and was another small reason for their demise.

pabely
20th Nov 2017, 11:25

Such routes are bloodbath, if there is good money to be made expect EZY to up their capacity.

gilesdavies
20th Nov 2017, 12:18
BBC News: East of England - Bucket List Airport Tour (https://www.facebook.com/bbcnewseast/videos/1995562133794488/)

"Reg Grace, 82, has terminal cancer of the liver. Top of his bucket list was visiting London Luton Airport, so that's what he did. How adorable are these two?"

How nice is this, great work by the airport and Macmillan...

Wish this couple all the best!

LGS6753
20th Nov 2017, 13:15
From 'Travel Mole':

Wizz Air is to expand its Luton base, with the addition of four aircraft to its Luton fleet by June 2018.

The allocation of four more Airbus A320 aircraft, each equipped with 186 seats, brings the total number of aircraft in Wizz Air's Luton fleet to five.

Five new routes have been added, including daily flights to Larnaca and Bratislava. A four-flights-per-week service to Tallinn and three-per-week to Tirana in Albania and Lviv in Ukraine make up the remaining new routes.

The additional aircraft will also allow an increase in frequency of flights on three of the airlines most popular routes.

Wizz Air is expanding its capacity at Luton by 15% year on year, and will offer in 2018 more than 6.9 million seats on its 46 routes to 20 countries.

Starting spring 2018 flights to Tel Aviv and Suceava become daily, while Prishtina in Kosovo flights will increase from two to three times per week

Over the 12 months to October 31 2017, the airline has carried more than 5.5 million passengers on its Luton routes alone, an increase of 11% compared to 2016, making it the second largest carrier at Luton airport.

The arrival of the new aircraft and additional routes will create 150 new direct local jobs, increasing the number of Wizz Air employees at Luton to 180.

Wizz Air chief corporate officer Owain Jones said: "Our main markets in Central and Eastern Europe are all enjoying strong economic growth. More people want to fly because they can afford to do so. There's growing demand and a lack of supply."

The interesting thing to me is the Larnaca route - afaik only the second route wholly outside Central/Eastern Europe (the other being Luton-Tel Aviv).

toledoashley
20th Nov 2017, 13:27
With the news Wizz have said they are not looking at transatlantic as well... So the Romanians were wrong on that by the sounds of things, and we can rule that out of at least near-term expansion.

toledoashley
20th Nov 2017, 13:29
Don't forget TUI on Tenerife as well - they have quite a few of those markets covered and are making more seats available to book as seat only.

LTNman
20th Nov 2017, 13:52
From 'Travel Mole':

Wizz Air is to expand its Luton base, with the addition of four aircraft to its Luton fleet by June 2018.

That's not the full story. Last year the airline had one officially based aircraft at Luton but it was actually 3 based aircraft so this announcement adds another 2 aircraft and not 4.

Still good news though.

Falcon666
20th Nov 2017, 14:05
Interestingly both Larnaca and Bratislava are shown as 10.00/10.15 am departures.
Has the benefit of being in the quiet time for the departure lounge but these can't be the first departure for a based a/c and certainly not using a ex MON slot.
So Wizz must be having a re shuffle with first wave arrivals or something doesn't seem right.

Boeing737-8
20th Nov 2017, 17:49
So Monarch 4 based slots have gone with 2 going to Wizz and 1 to Thomas Cook. So that means still 1 spare plus stand 46 is back. LTNman do you know when the airport can use stand 46 again and will that side of the pier also go to 4 stands or stay at 3. At minimum LTN has 2 more overnight stands for someone to use. Can't see them being left empty.

Wizz air have bought a 51% share in Borajet and will be allocating 5 a321 in January/February. Could Istanbul be on the cards with Wizz air/borajet???

LTNman
20th Nov 2017, 18:17
4 stands either side once the construction village is removed. As for when that will happen and this is just a pure guess I am thinking both will be removed late summer.

Buster the Bear
20th Nov 2017, 18:33
According to CH Aviation, Wizzair has denied the equity purchase of Borajet?

LTNman
21st Nov 2017, 05:02
Latest NOTAM indicates that WIP for 08 Taxiway now finishes on the 27th Nov , a week earlier than previous.
Presumably work has progressed well overnight with minimal weather disruption!

There are still NOTAMed overnight closures planned for between 6th January and the 14th although the charts for the new taxiway goes live on December 7th. As can be seen the old taxiway holding point Bravo 1 is now part of Taxiway Hotel and has been renamed Hotel 1. Holding point Bravo 2 will become Bravo 6 and Alpha 7 and 8 becomes Bravo 7 and 8 which crosses the tunnel.

Also noted that the compass swing bay has been removed from the charts as it is now part of the taxiway extension.

No doubt that when taxiway Alpha is extended next year Taxiway Juliet will be added.

TURN-OFFS FROM THE RWY ONTO TAXIWAYS CHARLIE AND HOTEL ARE
PROHIBITED EXCEPT WHEN AUTHORISED BY ATC

https://i.imgur.com/38BvYsp.jpg

Lee Baker Street
21st Nov 2017, 20:46
Such routes are bloodbath, if there is good money to be made expect EZY to up their capacity.

I think that unless EZY equally expands at LTN in 2018, they could find themselves falling behind Wizz!

In the last couple of days Indigo the owner of Wizz has just ordered a further 140 + Airbus A/C to expand W6.

I think 2018 is going to be a very interesting year at LTN with sustained growth and possibly U2 basing several more A/C.

Buster the Bear
21st Nov 2017, 21:04
Indigo divested itself of Wizzair shares last summer. https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/56910-indigo-partners-disposes-of-wizz-air-stake-for-317mn

A4
22nd Nov 2017, 08:51
Wonder why turn offs onto H are prohibited unless authorised by ATC. Making aircraft roll out further isn’t going to increase runway flow:confused:

I always thought the 08 taxiway extension was done first to improve departures/congestion when 08 in use......

LTNman
22nd Nov 2017, 09:10
I was wondering that as well but it might just be a case of wait and see as there does not seem to be any logic in restricting access to Taxiway Hotel for arrivals.

goldeneye
22nd Nov 2017, 09:18
Indigo divested itself of Wizzair shares last summer. https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/56910-indigo-partners-disposes-of-wizz-air-stake-for-317mn

Airbus still seems to think Wizz are part of the group LINK (http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2017/11/indigo-partners-doubles-existing-a320neo-family-order.html)

Falcon666
22nd Nov 2017, 09:42
Am I missing something but it looks like it's turn offs onto taxiway Charlie that needs ATC approval not taxiway Hotel.

During the summer on several occasions when 26 was in operation a/c were held at D1 and then told to backtrack via Charlie for departure due to congestion and missing a slot when alpha had four or five waiting for departure.

Maybe they don't want biz jets trying to get off at Charlie if an a/c is holding at D1.

Edit- when I first looked at the NOTAM I am sure it only stated Charlie , didn't notice Hotel had been added. hence the box added in the chart.
Now I am confused as it doesn't seem to make sense for Hotel.

pabely
22nd Nov 2017, 11:05
Me too, why not just marked as HS Hotspots, surely taxiway lighting will not be illuminated unless authorized by ATC.

Buster the Bear
22nd Nov 2017, 11:23
Wingtip clearance between an aircraft vacating and holding at HOTEL 1 must be very close to an aircraft holding inbound at BRAVO 5! The runway is effectively blocked if an aircraft holds inbound at CHARLIE 1 and cannot progress any further northbound.

The original plan saw the new taxiway extension require the removal of the current fire station, but you will notice that the BRAVO extension runs much closer to the runway than taxiway ALPHA does.

Unless I am missing something, Indigo not listed here. Shareholders Major WIZZ Wizz Air Holdings PLC including Fund and Institutional (http://investors.morningstar.com/ownership/shareholders-major.html?t=WIZZ)

LTNman
22nd Nov 2017, 12:02
Any aircraft coming off via Bravo would have to give way to any aircraft vacating at Hotel as Hotel 1 could not be used as a holding point from that direction without blocking the runway. I guess that would mean that every aircraft using Bravo would have to be told to hold before B5 just in case the next landing aircraft used Taxiway Hotel.

Boeing737-8
22nd Nov 2017, 13:40
The airline have now added Bodrum- W flight from Antalya

Now makes 9 flights a week (2017)
Ankara - 2 weekly
Antalya - 2 weekly
Bodrum - 2 weekly
Gaziantep - 1 weekly
Izmir - 2 weekly (3 weekly)

More competition for flights going towards Turkey

LGS6753
22nd Nov 2017, 14:57
Buster/Goldeneye -

Indigo Partners sold off 10.7 million ordinary shares in Wizz earlier this year but retain 44.8 million convertible shares. The recent Airbus order was promoted as an order by Indigo for their group of airlines, including Wizz.

Buster the Bear
22nd Nov 2017, 18:28
Thanks LGS6753.

Boeing737-8
22nd Nov 2017, 22:53
Does anyone know what aircraft will be used for the weekly flight?

robbie1973
23rd Nov 2017, 01:06
I was also interested in knowing which type of aircraft but can’t find this detail anywhere, none of the booking sites give this information, if you were to go by last years ZT331/ZT332 schedule it will be a mixture of B757, B737 and A321 but I could of course be totally wrong.

The aircraft schedule is:

ZT331 departs Stansted at 08:10 arriving Chambéry at 11:00
ZT884 departs Chambéry at 12:10 arriving Luton at 13:00
ZT883 departs Luton at 14:40 arriving Chambéry at 17:30
ZT332 departs Chambéry ar 18:30 and arrives Stansted at 19:20

Hopefully someone else will have better luck !

Plane.Silly
23rd Nov 2017, 07:10
Monarchs slots can now be sold, after winning at the court of appeal.
Bring on the bidding war...

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-monarch-airlines-licence/in-boost-to-creditors-failed-airline-monarch-wins-appeal-over-uk-airport-slots-idUKKBN1DM1TM

gilesdavies
23rd Nov 2017, 07:22
Monarch’s administrators win airport slots battle (http://https://www.ft.com/content/cb920b32-cf9c-11e7-9dbb-291a884dd8c6)

Just seen this...

What does this mean for Wizz Air's expansion?

Has Wizz used Monarch's old slots to aid this newly announced expansion or have they gained the slots from the expansion of the airport and the new taxiways being built, which allow for more take off and landing slots?

Be interesting to see who the slots are sold to and if Wizz can't obtain them.

Unless they have already agreed a deal in principle with the administrators to buy them, pending this decision from the courts.

compton3bravo
23rd Nov 2017, 08:18
The only additional information I have managed to find is that the company chartering the aircraft is called - wait for it - ski flights.com. Their website gives details of timings and flight numbers which we already know but no information on the type of aircraft.
Who would have thought some years ago slots at Luton would end up with a bidding war.

pabely
23rd Nov 2017, 11:05
Has Wizz used Monarch's old slots to aid this newly announced expansion or have they gained the slots from the expansion of the airport and the new taxiways being built, which allow for more take off and landing slots?

As Larnaca and Bratislava are shown as 10.00/10.15 am departures, I suspect the later as this is outside the MON slots which were used previously.

If so, once the 4 slots are taken up and come on-line Luton stats will once again be pushing upwards more steeply.

LTNman
23rd Nov 2017, 12:55
The Wizz expansion is an additional 2 aircraft despite the claims taking the total to 5. Any spare capacity through the expansion of the airport from new stands and taxiway improvements would be the preferred method. Last resort would be to buy slots. What happens if no one wants to buy them? Could the administrators hold back Luton's growth?

Also remember Thomas Cook is basing an aircraft next summer as well.

Boeing737-8
23rd Nov 2017, 13:24
Thomas cook based aircraft is filling in the empty slot from TUI.

toledoashley
23rd Nov 2017, 15:06
Yes, should be noted that TUI are -1, with the aircraft going to ABZ

southside bobby
23rd Nov 2017, 15:35
Surf Air relocating ops to LCY as early as next month..

Buster the Bear
23rd Nov 2017, 17:59
More here on Surfair

Membership airline Surf Air to shift London base from Luton to City Airport (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/membership-airline-surf-air-shift-london-base-luton-city-airport-1648666)

compton3bravo
23rd Nov 2017, 18:09
Find unless they want to fly/return on Saturday afternoon/evening or after 22.00 hrs.

pabely
23rd Nov 2017, 18:37
The ZRH flight normally gets back at 21:30, say 10/15 mins less flying time -but the notorious holding in the North Sea, perhaps SENs new FBO facility might get some business.
Still it frees up a 07:25 departure for someone else, did they sell that for £1M :yuk:

LGS6753
23rd Nov 2017, 19:06
So what happens if the low cost operators at Luton don't want to buy the ex-MON slots? Do they revert to ACL (after how long?), or can MON's administrators retain them indefinitely?

pabely
23rd Nov 2017, 19:54
That is a good question and as we are in new legal territory, who knows. Do KPMG sweat it out whilst keeping on their very small (but highly paid ex MON Pilots) and obviously their fees or cut and run within weeks? Maybe HMRC will push for sooner rather than later as a major creditor?

Lee Baker Street
23rd Nov 2017, 20:18
In order to possibly foresee any possible outcome, is there anyone in this forum who can actually confirm what slots- with times for both departures and arrivals, Monarch held?
There has been others in here asking a similar question. As an example, I have recalled ZB flights totalling 22 movements at LTN in a 24 hour period. Then as I quoted several days ago, during this winter, Monarch on average would have operated 9 movements a day. I do not know anything of slot allocations but someone must?

paully
23rd Nov 2017, 21:42
I have a feeling that there is a done deal here in what is known as `At the door of the court`. I am still ploughing through the reasons, for what is a very odd decision handed down almost immediately after submissions. The CoA normally reserves judgement and goes away to consider the result.Courts are notorious for handing down perverse and inconclusive decisions, yet ACL are not appealing. Seems leading Counsel were changed for this hearing as well.Hmm time will tell and as you say Pabely maybe HMRC have had a say in this..Somebody certainly has.

Buster the Bear
23rd Nov 2017, 22:38
I did read that Wizz had, prior to this ruling, made a deal to take the slots from KPMG/Monarch. I wondered if such a deal allowed access to enhance their UK AOC application, some knowledgeable staff/pilots, to also be transferred?

LTNman
25th Nov 2017, 04:51
Video of the work on the new taxiway here.

London Luton Airport taxiway work to increase capacity - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-42117343/london-luton-airport-taxiway-work-to-increase-capacity)

cj241101
25th Nov 2017, 22:46
Does anyone know what aircraft will be used for the weekly flight?
Slots are filed for a 757 Sat 1305/1435.

Boeing737-8
26th Nov 2017, 14:58
That's brilliant cj241191, thanks for the update. Always nice to see and hear the 757.

Lee Baker Street
27th Nov 2017, 07:50
I did read that Wizz had, prior to this ruling, made a deal to take the slots from KPMG/Monarch. I wondered if such a deal allowed access to enhance their UK AOC application, some knowledgeable staff/pilots, to also be transferred?

This coming week it will be announced which airlines will be buying Monarchs former slots. EasyJet, IAG, Norwegian Shuttle and Wizzair appear to be the main contenders. I do assume the LGW slots will be the first to go so will be interesting.

canberra97
27th Nov 2017, 17:31
This coming week!

It was already announced this morning that IAG have purchased the former Monarch LGW slots for £60m.

LAX_LHR
27th Nov 2017, 17:35
Surely wizz will be top of the pile of they want 2 more aircraft to make 7? Easyjet or Blue Air for the others?

Lee Baker Street
27th Nov 2017, 20:53
I have found no news to confirm IAG having bought all the LGW slots and paid £60 million!

canberra97
27th Nov 2017, 21:46
Although I previously wrote that IAG have purchased the former Monarch LGW slots it seems from these reports that,

From the BBC

British Airways owner IAG has secured take-off and landing slots at London's Gatwick airport that used to belong to Monarch, reports say.
Monarch collapsed in early October and thousands of its customers had to be returned on government rescue flights.
But its administrators, KPMG, won a court appeal last week for the right to sell Monarch's slots at Gatwick, the UK's second busiest airport.
IAG has won the majority of Monarch's Gatwick slots, PA and Reuters reported.
EasyJet, Wizz and Norwegian had also been keen to acquire the slots.
Monarch's take-off and landing slots at Luton airport are also being auctioned off. Together, the Gatwick and Luton slots are expected to be worth about £60m.
IAG declined to comment on the reports.

From ch.aviation

British Airways Boeing 777-300ER British Airways Boeing 777-300ER © British Airways
6 hours ago
IAG International Airlines Group has won an unspecified number of Monarch Airlines' London Gatwick slots following submissions from various operators including Thomas Cook Group.

According to the Press Association news agency, the deal saw the British Airways (BA, London Heathrow) parent acquire the "majority" of the defunct carrier's slots at London's second busiest airfield.

Monarch was last week granted possession of its Gatwick and London Luton slots following a UK Court of Appeal ruling overturning a previous High Court decision. Creditor firms now stand to recuperate some of their dues as a result of the appeal.

Other operators that Reuters had indicated to be interested in Monarch's London slots included Norwegian UK, easyJet, and Wizz Air.

Monarch Airlines collapsed in early October amid debts of GBP466 million (USD621.44 million) bankruptcy administrators KPMG said in their first creditors report.

However, according to the Sunday Times, with only GBP600,000 (USD800,000) available to repay unsecured creditors, KPMG has since concluded that the cost of repaying them all would exceed this amount.

“As the secured creditors will likely suffer a shortfall, there is no real prospect of a return to unsecured creditors in any of the administration companies,” the KPMG report said.

Despite the doom and gloom, the Financial Times has reported that Monarch’s employees, the carrier's preferential creditors, are expected to receive 100% of the monies owed to them. A total of 1,858 staff at Monarch Airlines and Monarch Travel Group were made redundant in early October.

Although it states that IAG have bought an unspecified amount of former Monarch slots at London Gatwick it doesn't quote the exact price paid by IAG but we can assume it is close to the £60m that they were supposedly worth.

LTNman
28th Nov 2017, 04:54
So is it an auction or is the figure set by the administrator?

What happens to the slots if they don’t meet a reserve price?

Does this mean that say a new airline to Luton that is given a slot to operate a service and then fails then has the right to sell that given slot?

Will the airport start to sell slots to add income to their landing fees?

wallp
28th Nov 2017, 07:06
Is Norwegian seriously a contender for the Monarch slots at Luton, has there been any suggestion that they are interested in a Luton operation?

gilesdavies
28th Nov 2017, 11:41
Heard nothing about that...

Are you sure you are not confusing it with the LGW slots, where apparently easyJet, Norwegian and IAG were all fighting for them, and in the news headlines the Luton slots just happened to fall in to the same sentence/paragraph?

I don't think the Luton slots are worth a great deal, and unlikely to get the same news coverage.

I am still confused with the Wizz Air expansion announcement last week and if this was in part, them taking on some of those slots.

With easyJet having to work out a strategy for post-Brexit and them taking over a large chunk of Air Berlin and having to absorb this into their business model. I wonder if they are that bothered about further expansion from Luton and Gatwick for next year, as they seem pretty busy as it is!

LGS6753
28th Nov 2017, 17:19
In view of their contraction in UK-Europe services for 2018, I can't see Norwegian opening a new base at Luton.

LGS6753
28th Nov 2017, 17:40
I think this has been noted before, but AirlineRoute are reporting an increase in Wizz LTN-Sibiu from 5 to 7 weekly from 23 Jun18.

Buster the Bear
28th Nov 2017, 22:48
The new BRAVO taxiway is not meant for 26 landing aircraft to vacate as a normal procedure. The 130 degree turn off the runway would probably slow vacating down. The low cost taxiway is primarily designed to alleviate holding for 08 departures.

LTNman
29th Nov 2017, 03:49
Except that is where all landing traffic will exit the runway as the former exit point will be prohibited from being used by landing traffic unless ATC give permission to use it which has been NOTAMed.

Looking at the angle of the taxiway to the runway it certainly hasn’t been optimised for maximum use of the runway.

22/04
29th Nov 2017, 08:07
At some foreign Airports a preferred exit is given on the ATIS e.g. "landing aircraft should vacate at N7 when possible" could this be introduced when Luton is on 26 and would that meet the ATC requirement

compton3bravo
29th Nov 2017, 08:45
I know Luton needs some divine intervention sometimes but not sure about angels LTMman!

DC3 Dave
29th Nov 2017, 09:23
Why a taxiway? Everyone knows angels are capable of VTOL.

southside bobby
29th Nov 2017, 16:20
Reporting states WZZ have swept up ALL the MON slots at LTN...

Boeing737-8
29th Nov 2017, 16:29
More expansion from Wizz, the reports have said that the slots will allow them to base more planes in LTN. This is on top of the original 4 (2 extra based aircraft).

cj241101
29th Nov 2017, 17:17
I understand their main financial backer has pulled out so, unless they get finance from another source very quickly their planned winter schedules won't be happening. Start up date was 11th Dec.

Boeing737-8
29th Nov 2017, 17:40
WOW, has been confirmed Wizz air will go to a base with 7 aircraft, yes you just ready that SEVEN!!!!. Where next on the route map for Wizz is the massive question?

davidjohnson6
29th Nov 2017, 17:50
Luton airport management should be getting worried at this point about how vulnerable they are now to the whims of just two airlines.
Easyjet should be worrying that they will cease to be the airport's sole 800 lb gorilla compared to all the other airlines and will therefore no longer always be the first airline that Luton contacts when asking for opinions from airlines

For those not familiar with the term (and no I am not suggesting Easyjet do anything illegal - just that as the major player they have probably been able to get their way more often than maybe minor airlines)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/800-pound_gorilla

southside bobby
29th Nov 2017, 18:08
Yes...With the MON slots to WZZ & more importantly the associated night parking,just where does this leave the much anticipated EZY expansion at LTN for next year?.
Have they been out played both at LGW & LTN or is there a general change of strategy concerning London?.

ClearLand08
29th Nov 2017, 18:37
It will be interesting to see if Wizzair maintain their Summer 2017 level of 13 / 14 arrivals between about 7am and 8am when they have 7 based aircraft. Or if they replace some of the existing off-peak rotations with the new early morning departures. Personally I don't think we are going to see total number of daily flights increase by the maximum amount - at least not if they keep to their model of Eastern Europe only. Another question is if they venture into traditional Monarch holiday destinations... and if not, there is a massive gap there for other airlines to fill.

wallp
29th Nov 2017, 19:01
Wow, Wizz are going to be very close to easyJet's percentage of flights at Luton with this expansion. It does make Luton very dependent on both airlines though I guess thats no different to Stansted's reliance on Ryanair, Gatwick's reliance on easyJet and now a resurgent BA?

I wonder what new routes and frequencies will be added as a result of this Wizz expansion?

LGS6753
29th Nov 2017, 19:15
The first wave arrivals of WZZ suit as the clocks in Eastern Europe are 1 - 2 hours ahead of UK, thereby allowing WZZ to make better utilization of their aircraft. If UK-based aircraft went east at (say) 0630 UK time, they could be losing an hour or two every day.
This could be solved by WZZ serving destinations further west from LTN.

davidjohnson6
29th Nov 2017, 19:17
Looking at the S17 start of season report from ACL, market share of the top 10 airlines at Luton by ATM across the 7 month period was:

Easyjet 44.1%
Wizzair 28.9%
Ryanair 8.9%
Monarch 4.9%
Blue Air 3.1%
Vueling 2.7%
Thomson 2.7%
DHL 1.5%
El Al 1.1%
Transavia 0.5% (now left the airport)

A combination of WIzz + Monarch would have been expected to control 33.8% of ATMs at the start of S17. Add Easyjet and we find 77.8% of summer ATMs are in the hands of just 2 airlines.

Note to pedants - yes the percentages don't quite match due to rounding differences

southside bobby
29th Nov 2017, 19:23
hehe...will all resist starting their posts regarding WZZ with WOW...that is the airline due to commence STN...You are making me jump haha.....Great/fantastic/fan dabby dozy for instance are not airline names at present.

Lee Baker Street
29th Nov 2017, 19:53
Yes...With the MON slots to WZZ & more importantly the associated night parking,just where does this leave the much anticipated EZY expansion at LTN for next year?.
Have they been out played both at LGW & LTN or is there a general change of strategy concerning London?.

I see LTN airport preparing for it's next faze which is to build a further 15--18 new stands with a satellite building that will provide for the next generation of growth.

The building may have tinted glass with hints of orange and be self efficient.

Don't forget that IAG may use the LGW slots for growth of Iberia, Vuelling, Aer Lingus and British Airways companies.

Just maybe, Easy will now be looking for continued growth from it's spiritual home base...

compton3bravo
30th Nov 2017, 03:39
The head of Wizzair has already said it would be silly to operate to the Western Med from the UK. Central and Eastern Europe is their territory. As I have said before there are still plenty of destinations still to be served in those areas.

LTNman
30th Nov 2017, 05:23
I see LTN airport preparing for it's next faze which is to build a further 15--18 new stands with a satellite building that will provide for the next generation of growth.

The building may have tinted glass with hints of orange and be self efficient...

I would love to know where you got that snippet of information from particularly its location. Any new development now firmly seems to be within the airport boundary. The 2012 masterplan did state that the capacity of the airport within its own boundary was 18 million passengers but there are now plans to extend and not replace the long term car park onto Wigmore Park which is being challenged.

It seems that any plans for terminal 2 on Wigmore Park have been dropped which would leave just the existing long term car park open for development. The airport plan is to build part of a business park on part of this car park behind the Harrods hangars though.

As I said a while ago the airport were allegedly looking at a plan to build terminal 2 within the CTA by I assume the second multi-storey car park on the new location for the car hire centre. This would mean a remote apron on what was left of the existing long term car park I would have thought. Not a great place on the wrong side of 2 taxiways unless a tunnel or bridge was put in for passenger access.

LDNLTN
30th Nov 2017, 07:44
The only place that has ever seemed feasible to me for a T2 is the hangar line. Saying that though, that would require relocation of the hangars which could be along the engine run up bay of course with it being extended into an apron. As we know, that is never going to happen. The airport management team will some how find a way to fit a T2 into the sardine can CTA.

Spanish eyes
30th Nov 2017, 09:09
Funny you should mention that but I had a deep conversation with someone working for TUI who attended a meeting with the airport about shifting the TUI hangar. The meeting was last year but as I could not get my head around why the hangar would need to be moved I dismissed the conversation.

AirportPlanner1
30th Nov 2017, 11:01
The first wave arrivals of WZZ suit as the clocks in Eastern Europe are 1 - 2 hours ahead of UK, thereby allowing WZZ to make better utilization of their aircraft. If UK-based aircraft went east at (say) 0630 UK time, they could be losing an hour or two every day.
This could be solved by WZZ serving destinations further west from LTN.

You're right about the morning but a UK base makes up for it in the evening. E.g. Depart Riga at 23:00 and arrive into LTN before midnight.

compton3bravo
30th Nov 2017, 11:11
Wizz have confirmed they have taken over the slots of Monarch after the demise of the airline. An additional two aircraft will be based making a total of seven aircraft. New routes will be announced in the near future with an additional 70 jobs being created.

Falcon666
30th Nov 2017, 13:21
IR Solutions, Euroinvestor (http://ir.euroinvestor.com/Tools/newsArticleHTML.aspx?solutionID=2372&customerKey=wizzair&storyID=13738581&language=en)

Exciting and less discovered destinations!

30th Nov 2017, 15:53
Funny how Wizz create 35 jobs per based aircraft and Ryanair thousands... :-D

pabely
30th Nov 2017, 16:34
Ryanair support everyone in the airport whereas bad Wizzair on support the people they directly pay! :(

LTNman
30th Nov 2017, 17:07
The framework for the immigration hall minor extension, the first floor extension and new walkway are all in place.
https://i.imgur.com/eFDqSq0.jpg

The brick frontage of the old terminal has finally all but disappeared from view. The cladding is actually individual vented slats as there is machinery on the balcony.
https://i.imgur.com/OgtQa8T.jpg

Soil samples are being taken for the second multistory car park.
https://i.imgur.com/eopkmlW.jpg

The last vent has been put in place on the new pier making the building externally complete.
https://i.imgur.com/1g17Utt.jpg

Taxiway Bravo extension is all but complete
https://i.imgur.com/1fdQkHM.jpg

While what will become Taxiway Hotel can be seen with the Wizz in the background.
https://i.imgur.com/jSQGLlE.jpg

Other news

Two crossover points have been put in either side of the tunnel to allow traffic to use the airport if one of the tunnels had to be closed.

This week sees the signing of the DART contract.

PAXboy
30th Nov 2017, 17:41
Thanks, as always, LTNman. How much longer for the terrible drop/collect zone?

LTNman
30th Nov 2017, 18:34
Another year until the new multistory is built and opened as the new drop off zone will be on the ground floor. No modifications have taken place to the existing drop off zone to date so I expect more of the same carnage next summer.

ExpectmorePayless
1st Dec 2017, 00:07
Fabulous pics as always LTNman. Always makes me wonder whether they'll have to dismantle half the cladding if one of those generators on the roof needs replacing in years to come.

What a shame they insist on building a second multi-storey car park within the CTA. That land would be better used for an additional 6-8 parking stands and terminal extension with 3rd pier for the South Apron.
The second multi-storey would be better placed in the mid-term car park, adjacent to a DART station for quick transit to the CTA.

More aircraft parking, more terminal capacity in a single terminal and less road traffic entering the CTA. Win, win, win.

LTNman
1st Dec 2017, 06:07
There is no roof above the equipment on either balcony just side cladding at this end only. While replacing machinery should present no problems at the this end the other end will be somewhat challenging as the plant was put in before work started on the terminal infill.

As seen last year the CTA could not cope with traffic levels for one terminal let alone two. With the drop off area moving to inside the new multistory the jury will be out to see if it makes any difference to the traffic flows.

The airport has a very long history of poor designs of drop off areas that have needed constant modifications to keep the traffic moving. It will be somewhat harder to correct once the next move is completed.

Buster the Bear
1st Dec 2017, 11:54
https://blueswandaily.com/wizz-air-acquires-london-luton-slots-and-reinforces-its-position-as-airports-largest-operator/

Buster the Bear
1st Dec 2017, 14:57
Ex Monarch A320 G-ZBAU currently holding north of Luton. Expected by MAEL, but for some reason the airport management are not letting it land.

ericlday
1st Dec 2017, 15:10
Landed 16.07

Seljuk22
1st Dec 2017, 18:54
What do you mean with this? 2nd biggest airport in the Wizz network is BUD and don't think they have 5 times more flights to/from LTN than BUD?

LTNman
1st Dec 2017, 19:20
My mistake, sorry I was taking the light blue as Luton:\

https://i.imgur.com/5BY7K1x.jpg

Lee Baker Street
1st Dec 2017, 20:25
I would love to know where you got that snippet of information from particularly its location. Any new development now firmly seems to be within the airport boundary. The 2012 masterplan did state that the capacity of the airport within its own boundary was 18 million passengers but there are now plans to extend and not replace the long term car park onto Wigmore Park which is being challenged.

It seems that any plans for terminal 2 on Wigmore Park have been dropped which would leave just the existing long term car park open for development. The airport plan is to build part of a business park on part of this car park behind the Harrods hangars though.

As I said a while ago the airport were allegedly looking at a plan to build terminal 2 within the CTA by I assume the second multi-storey car park on the new location for the car hire centre. This would mean a remote apron on what was left of the existing long term car park I would have thought. Not a great place on the wrong side of 2 taxiways unless a tunnel or bridge was put in for passenger access.

LTNman,
The east side of the airfield holds the Long term car park. Build 3 multi-storey car parks to hold more cars than at present and relase30-50 + acreas for new development.

Build a satelite building that is connected to the main terminal via a tunnel,which incorporates a travelator and service road and then build 15 to 18 stands and growth is accomodated.

No increase in land is required, just imagination and more importantly investment!

I won't say why I think it will happen, but am certain it will...

LTN is on a path of continued growth, and rightly so, for it was neglected for decades and is now being taken serious by investors.

PAXboy
2nd Dec 2017, 12:56
Money? The one thing that LTN has lacked over the years and well documented in this forum.

LTNman
3rd Dec 2017, 06:08
Money has indeed always been in short supply at Luton but when it comes to wasting money Luton has no limits.

The road markings are only just dry but much of the CTA will be dug up when the rail link, station and second multi-storey are put in.

This means a new drop off zone and new route for much of the CTA ring road. Most of the CTA dual carriageway that is keeping its location will still need to be dug up for the cut and cover rail tunnels.

Examples of extreme penny pinching includes only tarmacing the car park lanes and not the car park spaces of most of the car parks. The poor finish of the pedestrian foot bridges to the CTA car parks. The use of the cheapest materials available for the covered walkways. The extensive use of tarmac for all pedestrian areas. No air bridges or individual lifts to serve any stands. A lack of seating were there is room for seating to go.

I await with a great deal of interest how the flagship canopy will look that will define the appearance of the terminal for the next 20 years. The iconic glass roof of the first artist impressions was replaced by what looked like a series of circus tents made out of canvas. What the airport ends up with might be different again. Not long to wait now, as this new canopy should be going in after Christmas.

LTNman
4th Dec 2017, 18:34
Runway 08 TORA

2162m/7093ft full length
1982m/6502ft Taxiway Bravo intersection (taxiway extension)
1688m/5538ft Taxiway Hotel intersection (former Bravo)

Runway 26 TORA

2162m/7093ft full length TORA
1771m/5810ft Taxiway Alpha intersection.

The new taxiway Bravo will have a 211m longer take off run than runway 26 from Alpha.

It will be 294m longer than before.

Taxiway Bravo will still be 180m from the end of the runway.

gilesdavies
4th Dec 2017, 22:08
I think the new canopy looks OK...

I think people are more concerned about the experience through the terminal than the look from the outside, especially when the experience has been so poor in recent years.

https://roundme.com/embed/77047/193007

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/gilesdavies/Luton%20Airport%20Roof....jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/gilesdavies/media/Luton%20Airport%20Roof....jpg.html)

LTNman
5th Dec 2017, 05:02
We will have to see what the airport ends up with. The shape of the roof means it might be made out of canvas as I can’t see it being made out of glass or plastic. Just hope it doesn’t have Billy Smart embossed in the material.
https://i.imgur.com/iqjuS0F.jpg

The walkway to the drop off zone was actually bought off the shelf and is used by supermarkets to store shopping trolleys so looks nothing like the artists impressions while the one serving the shuttle bus was actually never built so saved a few more pennies.

You are right about the customer experience being more important than the look but a nice experience is formed in part by the feel of the place and the materials used.

The 360 tour of inside the terminal from the link provided will properly be more accurate as there are clear signs that what is depicted is being built.

LTNman
5th Dec 2017, 05:47
Opening date for the new multi story and drop off zone is confirmed as 2019 which will delay the DART project as work on the new CTA station was due to start this summer.

compton3bravo
5th Dec 2017, 05:55
Planned twice weekly (Friday-Sunday) service to Crotone in Italy by FlyServus commencing in the new year.

LGS6753
5th Dec 2017, 07:10
Arr 1400, Dep 1500 from 12th January using Common Sky 737.

gilesdavies
5th Dec 2017, 14:16
Planned twice weekly (Friday-Sunday) service to Crotone in Italy by FlyServus commencing in the new year.

Luton must be doing something right, with the price of fees to attract these odd-ball airlines, over the likes of Stansted and Southend! Unless maybe they are more sensible and tell these start-up airlines to sling their hook, when approached and allows Luton to scrape the barrel?! :}

But the proof will be in the pudding, and if this airline ever actually get the off the ground. With the likes of Powdair and FlyKiss, the airport has not done well with start-ups recently.

The airport at Crotone, which will be their hub, barely sounds a success, having previously gone bankrupt once and the only operator before that was Ryanair, which pulled out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotone_Airport

LTNman
5th Dec 2017, 17:48
Any new airline adds to the mix at Luton but this is the sort of airline that should be drawn to Southend so they have missed out on this one.

sewushr
5th Dec 2017, 20:40
Well the proposed service to Crotone, if it ever happens, looks like one I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

FlyServus (paper airline) says flights operated by Common Sky. But Common Sky doesn't operate Boeing B735s. They appear to have some tie up with AirX Charter, who do operate that type, so perhaps they are the real operator.

Oh, and no slots requested yet.

Non-starter or, if it starts, gone within a few weeks I reckon.

canberra97
5th Dec 2017, 20:47
Especially considering that they intend starting operations in the middle of winter to a little known airport in a sparsely populated area in Italy with no business links, it's got failure written all over it.

LTNman
7th Dec 2017, 05:06
After the overnight closure of Taxiway Bravo and part of Taxiway Alpha so new holding point signage could be installed the new Taxiway Bravo remains closed.

Lee Baker Street
7th Dec 2017, 07:58
Any new airline adds to the mix at Luton but this is the sort of airline that should be drawn to Southend so they have missed out on this one.

LTNman,

In Summer 1995, rumor went around that a new airline was coming to LTN and that it was going to charge passengers the same price to fly as buying a 'pair of jeans'. Everyone I spoke to back then stated it would not last and it would be impossible to survive. As we all know, that airline went on to become Britain's largest airline in terms of passengers and 3rd busiest in Europe today.

Bedford not far from Luton has a large Italian population and Calabria region has lots to offer. So with that thought in mind I hope the new service is successful and at least is given a chance.

I wonder what new airline will be announced next...

forest
7th Dec 2017, 11:34
After the overnight closure of Taxiway Bravo and part of Taxiway Alpha so new holding point signage could be installed the new Taxiway Bravo remains closed.

closed 0000-1001
The airport wanted it opening with the relevant important people there.
Don't forget updates to EFPS, SMR, Lighting panel and documents to name a few to be completed overnight and a transition period for all ATC staff and crews.

gilesdavies
7th Dec 2017, 11:57
I hope the new service is successful and at least is given a chance.

I am sure all us do, but as I mentioned these niche airlines, have not had a good track record so far this year at Luton...

You also need to be realistic and once you do a bit of background research things don't look good and the business plan non-existent.

- The flights will be operated by Common Sky on behalf of FlyServus, and it states they will use 737's. Common Sky don't even operate this type of aircraft.
- Crotone Airport has been shut since November 2016.
- Crotone Airport went into Bankruptcy in 2015, and Ryanair has been the only airline to use the airport and they stopped flying there!
- The airlines website looks like something developed 10-15 years ago and booking section looks homemade or is otherwise fake, with prices of 195 Euro's in each direction!
- Neither Crotone or Luton Airport's website make any mention of this new airline.
- The new route is meant to start on the 12th January, they better do some major advertising to fill that first flight!

compton3bravo
7th Dec 2017, 13:57
November passenger statistics just been released. A total of 1,008,184 passengers used used the airport in November UP 5.5 per cent. Rolling 12 month the figure 15,517,231up 10.3 per cent. All you lot who said there would be a downturn due to the demise of Monarch have been proved wrong. Told you so.

pabely
7th Dec 2017, 14:19
November passenger statistics just been released. A total of 1,008,184 passengers used used the airport in November UP 5.5 per cent. Rolling 12 month the figure 15,517,231up 10.3 per cent. All you lot who said there would be a downturn due to the demise of Monarch have been proved wrong. Told you so.

Await comment from SSB :E

southside bobby
7th Dec 2017, 14:49
Nice to be invited :))
Well yes jolly good... an increase is an increase is an increase.
It defies credibility tho not to see the numbers in November are reflecting the loss of MON hence a much smaller % increase last month compared even with the rolling 12 months figure quoted.
But anyways next November`s figures will reflect well with Wizz UK taking up that slack.

Buster the Bear
7th Dec 2017, 15:20
CiaoFly, they lasted a few weeks.

LGS6753
7th Dec 2017, 15:59
AirlineRoute are now listing the proposed Thomas Cook operation for S18:

London Luton – Antalya eff 25MAY18 2 weekly A320 (1 weekly from 03OCT18)
London Luton – Bodrum eff 04MAY18 2 weekly A321 (32B)
London Luton – Dalaman eff 02MAY18 1 weekly A320 (4 weekly 23MAY18 – 03OCT18, 3 weekly from 04OCT18)
London Luton – Enfidha eff 01MAY18 1 weekly A320 (2 weekly 25MAY18 – 02OCT18)
London Luton – Izmir 26MAY18 – 06OCT18 1 weekly A320
London Luton – Larnaca 23MAY18 – 03OCT18 1 weekly A320
London Luton – Palma Mallorca eff 07MAY18 1 weekly A320

11 originating A320 flights in the peak (23 May to 3 Oct) plus 2 A321 (presumably on inbound W flights) from Bodrum.

LTNman
7th Dec 2017, 16:04
Wonder if the Luton based TC aircraft will do a W pattern when it is away from Luton, as 11 flights a week won't keep the aircraft busy.

LTNman
7th Dec 2017, 16:33
Rolling 12 month the figure 15,517,231up 10.3 per cent.

If that is reduced to 8% Luton will be full again in just 2 years time, which will be a year after the present expansion programme is finished.

southside bobby
7th Dec 2017, 16:51
_"Luton will be full again in just 2 years time"_
If that is the case then a win win all around..

LTNman
7th Dec 2017, 17:08
Except for passengers, as no doubt the airport will not put up the full sign and will carry on as before in sweating the asset.

With regards to the new taxiway. All landing aircraft I have monitored have been cleared to exit the runway at Hotel so on day one this is the default location despite the NOTAM indication that Bravo was the new exit point.

Buster the Bear
7th Dec 2017, 23:46
Low cost taxiway aimed at minimising 08 holding issues.

LTNman
8th Dec 2017, 04:27
It was indeed put in primary for departures, as not many aircraft miss the exit. Shame it didn’t go to the end but at the end of the day it is not the runway capacity that will restrain the growth of the airport but a lack of land to build infrastructure.

I will have to have a closer look but I am sure the contractors village has been removed from the side of the taxiway now it is open. I was expecting it to be relocated for the construction of Taxiway Foxtrot and the extension to Taxiway Alpha but I haven’t seen it although I haven’t looked to hard to find it.

forest
8th Dec 2017, 11:21
Planned vacation point is B, less noise, the crews will take a while to get used to it, as it got dark all nearly vacated B as the lead offs are turned off at hotel. During day there are no lead offs so they dived for the first exit. I offered H to a few to get a feel for the difference in inbound gap size requirements. a few asked inbound where we required them to go, or if b was expected. give a few days and they will all work it out.

LTNman
10th Dec 2017, 04:54
With departures on runway 08 the new taxiway will be in use for the first time for outbound providing the snow doesn’t close the airport.

LTNman
10th Dec 2017, 05:29
Luton is snow closed to at least 7.00 but that might well slip as it is still snowing.

Edit, airport now open.

LTNman
10th Dec 2017, 06:55
For Wizz it is just another day with both inbound and outbound while for easyjet they are claiming the airport is closed on their flight tracker with no departures.

Despite the new taxiway extension Wizz are backtracking on 08 due to runway contamination. Runway is now reported as poor so the airport is now closing for around 20 minutes for sweeping.

southside bobby
10th Dec 2017, 07:37
BMS & VLG both out of the hold & diverting away...

toledoashley
10th Dec 2017, 07:48
Looks like a number of Wizz holding, including a WZZ diversion. Going to be an interesting morning!

ericlday
10th Dec 2017, 08:07
Wizz184B squawking 7700

daz211
10th Dec 2017, 08:11
Probably fuel emergency looks like it’s going to Gatwick rather than Stansted guess Stansted has snow also

KelvinD
10th Dec 2017, 08:11
And W61001 HA-LYV) probably getting very dizzy by now, looking at the number of circuits they have done to the north of Luton! Wizz 184B seems possibly heading to LHR Edit: Looks like it may well be Gatwick. BBC Weather shows hevy snow at Stansted

KelvinD
10th Dec 2017, 08:21
HA-LVG seems to have taken an early decision and skipped Luton altogether. Now on approach to Gatwick, having changed his mind near Chelmsford and gone straight to LGW. HA-LWK has just landed at Gatwick. Blue Air and a couple of Mr O'Leary's flights are also doing loops around an area to the east of Luton and HA-LVG seems to be heading towards Birmingham.

Expressflight
10th Dec 2017, 08:28
Stansted is SNOCLO at present.

Wycombe
10th Dec 2017, 08:31
BMS8MV TRN-LTN also now squawking 7700 and looks to be heading for LGW.

Teaboy24
10th Dec 2017, 08:57
Looks like a couple of Wizz just diverted to Doncaster as well as Gatwick.

Dannyboy39
10th Dec 2017, 09:00
And W61001 HA-LYV) probably getting very dizzy by now, looking at the number of circuits they have done to the north of Luton! Wizz 184B seems possibly heading to LHR Edit: Looks like it may well be Gatwick. BBC Weather shows hevy snow at Stansted

I was looking at this earlier - it must've done 15-20 circuits over North Herts! I did think at the time, they must have been very low on fuel.

LTNman
10th Dec 2017, 10:32
Three of the aircraft that landed just before the 7:30 closure are trapped on Taxiway Alpha 3 hours after landing. As far as I am aware the passengers are still on board.

Not sure if this is because of a lack of stands as the first wave of easyjet did not depart so the first 2 landing aircraft made it to the vacated Wizz stands only.
https://i.imgur.com/zTih1wP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lShttrD.jpg

compton3bravo
10th Dec 2017, 10:38
Turned out nice again!

daz211
10th Dec 2017, 10:58
Same happening at Stansted read on Twitter people are stuck on taxiways from early arriving flights and being told it’s unsafe to get busses to them sounds strange not saying anything against Luton as I’m not familiar with operations but Stansted normally deals quite well with snow going by past years

LTNman
10th Dec 2017, 11:08
I would say I good 6 inches of snow has landed at Luton.

planedrive
10th Dec 2017, 11:10
Looks like easyJet have cancelled all departures until 1625 local. More snow forecast for the rest of the day and tomorrow morning.

LTNman
10th Dec 2017, 13:21
Some of those Wizz passengers are being deplanned now. Might be even more planes parked up on Taxiway Alpha than I first thought.

AirportPlanner1
10th Dec 2017, 13:35
Irrespective of what's going on at LTN and STN today, there are problems at some of the destinations as well e.g. AMS and GVA have both had closures today

boeing_eng
10th Dec 2017, 14:25
TUI's ACE departure got away after a four hour delay and nearly 2000 litres of de-icing fluid!:eek:

Pretty severe conditions this morning.....Arriving Wizz aircraft that were trapped on taxiways were getting told by their handling agent that steps were unsafe to use and it was the airports responsibly to clear them!

ericlday
10th Dec 2017, 14:58
4 more Wizz have waved goodbye to LTN on their diversion to Doncaster !!

planedrive
10th Dec 2017, 15:47
Luton still full so can't accept any more a/c until some leave, hence the recent diversions.

ericlday
10th Dec 2017, 16:42
Easy cancellations have clogged up the system then !!!!

LTNman
10th Dec 2017, 16:51
You got it with Taxiway Alpha being used as stands for the Wizz arrivals.

ericlday
10th Dec 2017, 17:05
If FR24 is to be believed there are 5 parked on Bravo Taxiway currently !!

LTNman
10th Dec 2017, 17:40
Lucky it has been extended. The aircraft are all running engines and are not shut down.

https://i.imgur.com/3NaS3xe.jpg

Buster the Bear
10th Dec 2017, 22:01
Good to see that the Multi Storey still stands after the weight of the snow.

Back 'in the day', there were plenty of firemen, baggage and security to help clear an airport handling significantly less movements. The 'low cost era' must be a challenge to get enough staff in to mount an attack on the snow?

AvGeek1
10th Dec 2017, 22:05
Amsterdam - 714,135
Budapest - 532,315
Bucharest - 519,026
Barcelona - 468,476
Warsaw - 408,733
Tel Aviv - 381,810
Dublin - 328,642
Malaga - 318,724
Faro - 311,595
Belfast - 309,468
Cluj-Napoca - 301,714
Katowice - 289,478
Palma de Mallorca - 283,867
Edinburgh - 282,061
Gdansk - 276,239
Sofia - 265,277
Paris - 262,511
Geneva - 257,256
Copenhagen - 255,842
Alicante - 250,360

Source: LLA

compton3bravo
11th Dec 2017, 03:53
Looks like BlueAir have been pulling out all the stops to keep the show on the road.

LTNman
11th Dec 2017, 05:00
The issue right into last night was a lack of available stands not helped by the extreme time it was taking to de-ice easyjet aircraft once they started to operate again. The initial wait was over 6 hours for a stand but even late into the evening it was still around 2 hours.

Many aircraft were diverted away from Luton due to a lack of places to hold the aircraft once they had landed.

Apparently the terminal was hell on Earth.

LTNman
11th Dec 2017, 06:38
I think there will be lots of posts later today and it won't be about the weather.:oh::oh::oh:

whitelighter
11th Dec 2017, 06:47
Apparently the terminal was hell on Earth.

Some things were operating normally then...

LTNman
11th Dec 2017, 09:07
The airport has announced plans to double the size of Luton airport to between 36 and 38 million passengers and up to 240,000 aircraft movements.

ericlday
11th Dec 2017, 09:09
It's 11th December not April Fools Day......hmmm must read this LTNman

LGS6753
11th Dec 2017, 09:14
Whilst looking for reports on the news posted by LTNman above, I found an article on the second MSCP saying construction is planned to start in June

LTNman
11th Dec 2017, 09:16
The news has been under wraps until the official announcement and is now being reported on local radio from 10am.

With regards to the new car park, it seems a long wait until it is started which must push back the DART project.

Buster the Bear
11th Dec 2017, 09:25
I can confirm that 3 Counties Radio ran a headline stating exactly what LTNman has written earlier today. Announcement to be made formally soon.

In other news.....

Luton is proving to have been a valuable investment for AENA
The one exception is London Luton Airport, north of London. In Aug-2013 Abertis sold its 90% stake in the operating concession on Luton Airport, held through the TBI holding company, to a consortium formed by AENA and the private equity arm of the French insurance group AXA. AENA had previously held 10% of the equity and it now holds 51% of the consortium, and AXA Private Equity, 49%. The deal was worth EUR502 million (USD667 million) for Britain’s fifth busiest airport.

AENA said at the time that it aimed to “substantially build up London Luton…”, and that has been the case. With 18.5% passenger traffic growth in 2016, to 14.5 million, and 10.5% in Jan to Sep-2017, Luton is the fastest growing of those top five airports and one of the fastest growing of any primary UK airport in 2017. Capacity is being increased to handle 18 million ppa by 2020, and a GBP200 million mass passenger transit system should be operational by spring 2021. This will connect the rail station, which will receive an enhanced service network from London and areas to the south of the capital, directly into the terminal.

AENA reports that revenues at London Luton Airport increased by 12% year-on-year in the nine months to Sep-2017. Aeronautical revenues increased by 9.2%, while commercial revenue increased by 14.5%, highlighting a parking revenue increase of 14.8%.

In the first nine months of 2017, AENA’s infrastructure investment programme amounted to EUR246.4 million, including EUR39.7 million invested at Luton Airport. The main investments in the network of airports in Spain have been focused on security and improvements in maintenance.

LTNman
11th Dec 2017, 10:06
Race on for £20m Luton Airport multi-storey car park | Construction Enquirer (http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2017/12/11/race-on-for-20m-luton-airport-multi-storey-car-park/)

LGS6753
11th Dec 2017, 11:05
That's the article :cool:

southside bobby
11th Dec 2017, 11:35
mmmmm....yes very good & not pouring cold water..(quite appropriate with the w/x tho) the article being alluded to is described in the headline as a "vision" & is just an appropriate response to the Government`s request for proposals toward the new framework policy for the UK.
Max use of the single R/W but still overall aspirational.
Figures first mentioned above nearer the year 2050 within this vision described.

LTNman
11th Dec 2017, 11:54
Luton's present expansion was meant to be dated 2026 for completion but it came forward 6 years due to demand.

Doubling capacity means another terminal and another 35 to 40 stands. Not easy to achieve and can't be done within the airport boundary.

Plane.Silly
11th Dec 2017, 12:18
a lot of green belt around it, just a case of how many local you intend to cheese off by buying them up. Space isn't totally impossible, but realistically if they need to find 35-40 stands, a terminal, parking & access, maybe some extra hangars too, how much would they need?

southside bobby
11th Dec 2017, 12:37
The vision I am perusing whilst mentioning use only of the existing R/W & with no R/W extension cleverly does not mention expanding beyond the existing boundaries either.
My observation is the most appropriate land & to the East is in Hertfordshire & without rehearsing again that debate that ain`t never gonna happen.
Still as you said LTNman will probably all produce lots of postings today so have some fun.

LGS6753
11th Dec 2017, 13:14
To the east, the land is undulating, but to the south there is a fairly flat area of farmland, which happens to be in Hertfordshire.

If land south of the runway was to be used, a whole new infrastructure would be needed - access, terminal capacity, stands, etc.

If the existing boundaries remain, the CTA will become even more congested without some very clever planning (which has not been in evidence for the last 50 years...)

pabely
11th Dec 2017, 13:24
https://transport-network.co.uk/Luton-Airport-unveils-expansion-plans/14661

LTNman
11th Dec 2017, 16:54
From the PDF link at the bottom of the above website.

To make the best use of the
existing runway at LTN by
increasing its capacity to
around 50 movements per hour
– potentially supporting in the
region of 36-38 mppa, or
240,000 aircraft movements
per year;

While we are primarily focused on making best use of the
existing runway at LTN, we are also exploring the capacity
of our other landholdings around the airport to contribute
to the economic and social wellbeing of the region.

So they tell the residents that they want to build a business park on their local park but later on after putting in a dual carriageway first they actually build a new terminal and a bunch of new stands on the park that they now lease.

LDNLTN
11th Dec 2017, 17:36
Really don't see how they can make best use of the runway unless the taxiway's go to the end of the runway and the creation of rapid exit taxiway's. As much as i'm all for the airport expanding, it's typical Luton to not look far ahead into the future before building. I doubt there's time now for them to reconsider expanding the new 26 taxiway to the very end now.

Buster the Bear
11th Dec 2017, 21:05
The only place to expand is to the south of the runway. In order to deliver 50 movements you need, as LDNLTN states, comprehensive and non lo-cost taxiways!

1sky
11th Dec 2017, 22:10
If I was to take a wild guess, all this soft language about exploring the capacity of other landholdings will eventually look something like this.

https://image.ibb.co/kpQx4b/Luton_Rumours.png

More soft language here:
"Our intention is to develop the New Century Park site, which forms the eastern end of the Luton Airport Enterprise Zone, to create new business opportunities and unlock thousands of new jobs."
Nothing prevents these new business opportunities and thousands of jobs from being a terminal.

Charleroi is a good example of a terminal being built within a business park:
https://image.ibb.co/j1BUjb/Screen_Shot_2017_12_12_at_00_30_49.png

There had previously been rumours that the Luton mass rapid transit had some provision to be extended but it makes more sense now.

lutonboi
12th Dec 2017, 06:09
New routes from Luton

Palermo
Reus
Genoa
Thessaloniki

Boeing737-8
12th Dec 2017, 06:29
Also
Dalaman

LTNman
12th Dec 2017, 06:30
If I was to take a wild guess, all this soft language about exploring the capacity of other landholdings will eventually look something like this.

I think you are close to the mark with your drawing although you have shown a supersized terminal around 4 times the size of the 1999 terminal. In reality for another 18 million passengers the new terminal would be much smaller.

planedrive
12th Dec 2017, 08:37
Very surprised not to see Gibraltar added next summer.

pabely
12th Dec 2017, 10:17
So was I but I'm sure these new routes were well into planning before MON went under so maybe later? Some ex-MON Luton based crew would have been useful here but EZY are looking at more leased airbuses so perhaps waiting for them to be secured.

Lee Baker Street
12th Dec 2017, 12:25
Next year there will be over 30 new services as Wizz have yet to announce their new routes and Easy has not yet finalised their programme.

If Thomas Cook have a good summer then they might consider a winter operation?

Lee Baker Street
12th Dec 2017, 12:32
I think you are close to the mark with your drawing although you have shown a supersized terminal around 4 times the size of the 1999 terminal. In reality for another 18 million passengers the new terminal would be much smaller.

I agree with LTNman that your terminal is far too big, by reducing its size would allow for piers to be built with stands for between 18 and 24 A/C.

southside bobby
12th Dec 2017, 15:36
Lee Baker Street...
A very healthy figure stated for new services to be started how does the MON demise affect that number?.

whitelighter
12th Dec 2017, 15:40
New routes from Luton

Palermo
Reus
Genoa
Thessaloniki

Yay Reus! Nice to have some choice other than Ryanair and Jet2

LGS6753
12th Dec 2017, 16:11
SSB -

afaik MON only served a couple of destinations from LTN without competition, those being Stockholm (recently) and Gibraltar.

In mid-November Wizz announced new destinations of Larnaca (ex-MON), Tirana, Bratislava, Talinn and Lviv. Ten days later, they announced the acquisition of the MON slots, so presumably there is more to come.

compton3bravo
12th Dec 2017, 16:18
Not all of them, just some. Just a thought I wonder if Wizz might start Athens as they are going to expand their services from there next year.

southside bobby
12th Dec 2017, 17:38
Thanks for the response & info LGS6753.
Will be interesting how numbers in ALL categories will compare 2018 over 2017.

LTNman
12th Dec 2017, 18:06
So with the LLAL/council looking ahead 30 years to 2050 with a new masterplan for next summer what happens in 2020 when the airport is probably full again?

LDNLTN
12th Dec 2017, 18:57
Wonder if we'll see the pier added for the south apron but the possibility of jetways being introduced to the existing terminal seems very slim. I'll eat humble pie if they do but Luton cannot simply survive with low-cost airlines, way too much competition then. We'll need to see a wider markets opened up. As said before, Luton would be able to operate 787's since they have better takeoff performance from shorter runways and Bristol clearly shows that with TUI doing transatlantic from Bristol's 6,500 ft runwayand Luton's is just under 500ft longer so can't see why that couldn't be done. Also the A32Xneo series also have better takeoff performance so destinations further afield should be achieveable.

As I was saying about Jetways, they'd bring a much wider variety into Luton therefore the airport will be able to reach its full potential. Even if they added 2/3 to pier A then a couple to pier B it'd be better than none surely. We'll just have to wait and see though what happens.

pabely
12th Dec 2017, 19:01
So with the LLAL/council looking ahead 30 years to 2050 with a new masterplan for next summer what happens in 2020 when the airport is probably full again?

Still more pain before gain.

Herts not to happy https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/opposition-to-luton-airport-expansion-from-herts-county-council-1-8287630

Is this an ideal time for Herts to come onboard in some way and bring in Bucks.

Beds already working with Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire & Cambridgeshire on The Cambridge-Milton Keynes-Oxford (CaMkOx) arc so is this ideal time for infrastructure powerhouse???

compton3bravo
12th Dec 2017, 19:08
Same old, same old from Herts CC. Wonder how many who live in Hertfordshire fly from Luton? Quite a lot I would imagine.

ericlday
12th Dec 2017, 20:28
Yes, I do !

pabely
13th Dec 2017, 10:18
When I did there were plenty of neighbours who were drivers, crew, airport cleaners, chauffeur drivers and engineers, many still are.
Herts CC sometimes forgets that LLA is a big employer. When BAe closed Hatfield airport many found employment at Luton.
Hatfield now could have been the FAB of North London and the likes of Signature, Harrods and others could have been consolidated there freeing up slots, but I won't start up about that little bit of history.

southside bobby
13th Dec 2017, 10:39
With you with the sentiment at least if only as it has become the standard universal,seen everywhere,housing & business style park.
Several historic buildings listed happily.
A FAB sandwiched tho between LTN & STN would have been "interesting" however in ATC terms.

Lee Baker Street
13th Dec 2017, 11:36
Lee Baker Street...
A very healthy figure stated for new services to be started how does the MON demise affect that number?.

The fact is southside, the demise of Monarch (who was actually my favorite airline) will have no bearing on next years figures, in the sense from now on Luton will maintain continued growth. Whilst approximately 870,000 passengers have been lost, Ltn's other airlines operating to most of Monarchs routes will carry them instead.

Wizzair has yet to announce new routes.

EasyJet has more aircraft to be based at Luton. I anticipate A/C 24 will join the fleet soon (unless it is already here), and a further 6 more over a couple of years.

LGW and LHR are possibly so saturated that only STN and LTN can offer any further growth in this region.

The only thing that has 'ever' stopped LTN's development is finance and imagination! But the tide is now turning. The most important factor is that jobs will be produced that will benefit the unemployed from Harpenden to Henlow, St Albans to Silsoe, Luton to Loughton, Stevenage to Sandy and all the other towns, villages and hamlets local to the airport.

22/04
13th Dec 2017, 11:57
Towards the end of activity at Hatfield Luton radar effectively handled the inbounds.

In coming years outbounds wouldn't be a problem either. Surely we will have all tower ops at say Swanick within15 years with visibility provided by cctv.

pabely
13th Dec 2017, 12:06
I remember it well and the ATC boys did a good job keeping the VFR traffic away from multiple inbounds to Luton 26 & Hatfield's 24 when they were all buzzing the Brookmans Park Stack or transiting to Elstree.
I remember on busy days Hatfield's inbounds were directed to Barkway rather than attempting VFR!