PDA

View Full Version : MANCHESTER - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

jamesferns
14th May 2012, 16:10
Bubbles burst over there im afraid, Its only going one way, whilst MAN goes in the opposite direction and will continue to do so, with very positive growth forcast for the next five years

pwalhx
14th May 2012, 16:56
Please, please let us not have another outbreak of MAN v LPL wisecracks

PhilW1981
14th May 2012, 18:00
Please, please let us not have another outbreak of MAN v LPL wisecracks

Indeed, the Mancunians are in a foul mood because of the football and instantly turn their attention to scouser baiting. Pathetic really.

rapidman47
14th May 2012, 18:01
Manchester Kurt
CAA Confirm rise of 3.2% in April.

But look at Liverpool losing a whopping 20% of their passengers in the month. Wow.
These are magnificent results passenger wise considering LJLA has had a 24pc reduction in available flights. This means airlines have had a large increase in bums on seats well done Liverpool

MKY661
14th May 2012, 18:02
I think MAN & LPL are both great airports :) Hopefully that settles everything :)

pwalhx
14th May 2012, 19:27
I agree, it is good for the NW that both airports do well, and there is no reason they cannot happilly co-exist.

Suzeman
14th May 2012, 19:59
But look at Liverpool losing a whopping 20% of their passengers in the month. Wow.These are magnificent results passenger wise considering LJLA has had a 24pc reduction in available flights. This means airlines have had a large increase in bums on seats well done Liverpool

Most magnificent piece of spin doctoring since Alistair Campbell := And worthy of the plot of the Thick of It.:ok:

A 20% decrease might well increase the number of passengers per movement on the remaining flights, but we don't know what the number of seats reduced by :ugh:

In addition a 20% decrease in passengers doesn't do much for LPL Airport Company's revenue.....:sad: especially if it has not been budgeted for...:{

Anyway this is the Manchester thread - perhaps we can have an intelligent discussion on the dynamic of passenger demand and behaviour in the NW?

It looks to me to be changing again. Why? It's critical mass. MAN is now attracting the low cost boys with sufficient volume and variety to add to its already wide portfolio of flights by legacy carriers both long and short haul, so that there is often a flight to where people want to go when they want to go and at a price that suits. In addition there has been a concentration in the last couple of years on trying to get the MAN passenger experience right (such as it can be in an airport nowadays) and a considerable amount of capital has been spent on this.

And interestingly, there have been management changes at both MAN and LPL airports in the last 18 months or so. Wonder if that has also had an effect?

Suzeman

TURIN
14th May 2012, 20:02
Biman starting MAN-JFK twice a week. Winter 2012.

PhilW1981
14th May 2012, 20:14
As an impartial observer who takes frequent low cost flight led weekend breaks and someone who lives equidistant to both airports I must say whereas from 7/8 years ago up until 12 months ago I always looked first to LPL for a cheap flight, I now find myself looking at MAN first.

Manchester Exile
16th May 2012, 00:32
I think a discussion of the fall in traffic at LPL is valid for the Manchester thread, as the presumption must be that many of those pax are now travelling from Ringway.

I would also point out that the CAA figures are provisional and subject to change. I have certainly noticed large shifts in numbers between the provisonal figures and the final statistics. Such a massive reduction in numbers at LPL may be due to the simple fact that not all traffic in April has yet been accounted for.

Finally, according to the provisional figures, Stansted carried more passengers than Manchester last month - the first time that has happened for quite some time.

TURIN
16th May 2012, 15:23
Air Blue changing to A340-300.

JackRalston
16th May 2012, 15:42
Any ideas why the Manchester Airport website is saying ETD21 has diverted? Someone got an answer? I can currently see it on FR24 overhead Dortmund at FL400.

AircraftOperations
16th May 2012, 23:19
Diverted to IST en-route I think. Presumably medical.

Nomoresteerage
17th May 2012, 07:55
News / Manchester set to land direct Far East flights THEBUSINESSDESK.COM (http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/322648-manchester-set-to-land-direct-far-east-flights.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NorthWest_17th_May_2012_-_Daily_E-mail)

Apart from Cathay not sure who the other 3 would be... Oasis, Vietnam airlines?

Doubt Malaysian as they have enough problems.

NMS

MANCHESTER Airports Group is closing in on deals with international airlines which will see direct routes from Manchester to the Far East beginning soon.

Chief operating officer Andrew Harrison told business leaders in Liverpool last night that two key factors - the recent creation of a hub at Manchester by FlyBe and the forthcoming launch of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner - had sparked new interest from international carriers.

"The FlyBe hub is really starting to work for them - it's early days - but passenger demand has shot up by as much as 120% in some routes, and it makes unviable routes more viable.

"We are talking to four international airlines, about routes currently unserved from Manchester, which will be fantastic news for this region."

Mr Harrison said the new Boeing Dreamliner is a "game-changing" aircraft for the North West and would make sirect routes to the west coast of the US as well as China and the Far East more viable.

He told the CBI (http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/cbi.html)'s Making Connections dinner at the Hilton Hotel that international airlines were starting to notice, that with capacity close to maximum at Heathrow and Gatwick, that Manchester is a real alternative.

"I think people have seen the success of Emirates and Etihad from Manchester and that they can connect people differently - not through Heathrow."

Mr Harrison said that although there is opportunities for regional airports like Manchester and Liverpool to benefit from the problems at Heathrow - the UK aviation sector is facing a number of challenges, most notable Air Passenger Duty and other regulations which put UK airports at a competitive disadvantage to European peers.

"As a trading nation, we can't isolate ourselves from the world - and Air Passenger Duty is already having an impact in how international airlines view us.

"We recently lost out on a direct route to Kuala Lumpur to Paris for that reason."

chaps2011
17th May 2012, 08:39
I think one is Chinese

Ian

allosaurus
17th May 2012, 12:33
when is this happening?

Skipness One Echo
17th May 2012, 12:44
Vietnam at Gatwick has already slashed capacity from four weekly direct to four weekly via CDG/FRA.

Anansis
17th May 2012, 12:56

Cathay would make sense as they already operate a regular freight route to MAN. Not sure who else though. Oasis went bust a few years ago. Air Asia might have been a possibility but I hear that they're withdrawing their European routes (though I stand to be corrected on that one). Maybe Jetstar from SIN? They have extensive connections All over the Pacific region. Beyond that I'd agree that one is likely to be Chinese.

chaps2011
17th May 2012, 13:44
Who said it would be lo-cost

Ian

Anansis
17th May 2012, 14:24
Who said it would be lo-cost

Nobody. Cathay or Vietnam are not lo-cost. I mentioned Jetstar and Air Asia as they are two expanding airlines (one of which has 787's on order) which potentially have the size, will, and means to make a route from MAN work.

Mr A Tis
17th May 2012, 14:47
Manchester has one of the largest Chinese populations in Europe, so it's surprising that Hong Kong Airlines chose LGW to operate from & only last week, Air China started a 4 x week Beijing - LGW service.
Cathay seem fixated to feed their flights via LHR.
For me, a direct Chinese flight would make most sense, but from who I don't know.

Maybe it's SIAs low cost longhaul carrier Scoot to replace the 777 (?) on the SIN service.

It's also high time Air Canada got back in to provide Star Alliance service to Canada rather than leaving it all to Air Transit. There must be some money about, because nearly all Air Transat premium seats are sold out to Vancouver / Toronto all summer.

FL370 Officeboy
17th May 2012, 16:39
Indeed, the Mancunians are in a foul mood because of the football and instantly turn their attention to scouser baiting. Pathetic really.

I think you'll find the MANCUNIANS are in a fantastic mood about the football. Those from London, Singapore, Malaysia and Trafford are probably feeling very glum right now though :}

The96er
17th May 2012, 16:54
I think you'll find the MANCUNIANS are in a fantastic mood about the football. Those from London, Singapore, Malaysia and Trafford are probably feeling very glum right now though

As somebody who works at the airport, you do tend to see an awful lot more blue coming of the Inbound flights on match days, especially the ones from across the Irish sea :E

Fairdealfrank
17th May 2012, 17:09
More longhaul at Ringway

Excellent news, would love to know who it is!

Doubt if it's VN, for a while at least.

Would imagine that VN would do the following (but could be wrong):

(1) join the rest of Skyteam at LHR-4;
(2) try to get a daily LHR-SGN up and running before BA get in on the act. Vietnam is an increasingly important business and tourist destination so suspect that BA are looking at this route;
(3) look at MAN or other UK destinations for future expansion.

spannersatcx
17th May 2012, 18:03
Cathay would make sense as they already operate a regular freight route to MAN 4 of the 7 slots have been handed back, so not that regular at the moment.

Passenger flt wise, as stated before until the A350 comes along you won't see a scheduled CX pax flt at MAN. one of the reasons given is insufficient feeds into MAN, wheras LHR has many feeder flts. (don't shoot the messenger).

Air China or China airlines, can't remember which, were flying a VIP delegation later this month to MAN, but it has now been cancelled, so you can probably count them out as well.

CabinCrewe
17th May 2012, 18:06
Oasis, didnt they go busto years ago ?

spannersatcx
17th May 2012, 20:42
Oasis, didnt they go busto years ago ?

yes they dido.

rkenyon
17th May 2012, 21:16
Like a dodo

Skipness One Echo
17th May 2012, 23:21
Has the morning Emirates A330-243, EK021 /022 been suspended?
Thought it was upgrading to the B777-300ER?

OltonPete
17th May 2012, 23:44
SOE

A few pre-planned cancellations due to the low season I believe. Also EK17 has seen a few low density A380's as well.

BHX has also seen at least one three class 77W most days in May.

Happens every year but the difference with Manchester this year is that there are three daily flights to fill.

Pete

chinapattern
18th May 2012, 08:12
Interesting that the article refers to the 787 as well which makes me think it's any of the following;

- Air China
- Air India
- ANA
- China Southern
- Hainan Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Korean
- Vietnam Airlines

although I agree that VN can probably be ruled out.

TURIN
18th May 2012, 10:43
air blue changing to a340

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when is this happening?

Well they are getting the a/c from Turkish in June so I should think it won't be any earlier than start of winter ops.

chaps2011
18th May 2012, 11:21
Why? is it going to take all that time to train crews up, I`ve heard August and that
it will a morning flight.

Ian

TURIN
18th May 2012, 22:06
This is Air Blue we are talking about. I'll stck with October..........201?

Fairdealfrank
18th May 2012, 22:36
Quote: "Interesting that the article refers to the 787 as well which makes me think it's any of the following;

- Air China
- Air India
- ANA
- China Southern
- Hainan Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Korean
- Vietnam Airlines

although I agree that VN can probably be ruled out."

So can Air India but, regretably, for completely different reasons!

750XL
18th May 2012, 22:45
Air Blue are due to get their A343s from TK this summer, and I believe some crew are already underway with training.

As to when they start flying into MAN, that's anybodies guess, this is Air Blue we're talking about. I'm led to believe they will be operating a morning flight with a 4 hour spin around at MAN, with maintenance work being carried out here.

rampman
21st May 2012, 22:34
how about EVA flying from MAN !!!!

LN-KGL
21st May 2012, 22:44
EVA will join the Star Alliance in 2013, and since MAN is no Star Alliance hub or hardly has Star Alliance presence after BMI went to BA, I doubt it.

IB4138
22nd May 2012, 06:28
Scratch one route.
City Airline who operated from Gothenburg to MAN, has ceased operations this morning.

Mr A Tis
22nd May 2012, 07:21
That's a shame, the airline has served this route for many years & more recently had to contend with easyjet competition on the same route.
As often happens, we get over capacity & then end up with none :-(

Mr A Tis
22nd May 2012, 07:25
LN-KGL :or hardly has Star Alliance presence after BMI went to BA,

MAN has :Adria, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, SAS, SWISS, Singapore AL, TAP, Turkish, United, & US Air,

- all Star Alliance airlines !

JackRalston
22nd May 2012, 14:37
EXS791 MAN-FCO seems to be returning to MAN, got as far as HON then turned back and is currently holding at DAYNE FL70 in its third circle.

Edit: Just left the hold on hdg 015, returning back to MAN.

LN-KGL
22nd May 2012, 14:59
Mr A Tis, let's look at the list and see if there are any potensial feeders.
- Adria: Wed and Sat, different times of the day, not a feeder
- Brussels: Back track to feed, not a feeder (EVA is offering a 90 minutes shuttle bus Brussels Midi-AMS today)
- Lufthansa: You must be kidding
- SAS: Back track to feed, not a feeder
- Swiss: Back track to feed, not a feeder
- Singapore: SIN-MAN-TPE :O
- TAP: DX2 afternoon arrival to MAN
- Turkish: Major back track to feed, not a feeder
- United: Pacific routing, not a feeder
- US Airways: Pacific routing, not a feeder

As I see it the only Star airline that may feed such a flight would have been TAP from LIS, but the TAP flying times had to be moved to late afternoon/early evening (if you look at the Eva times at LHR).

Mr A Tis
22nd May 2012, 16:05
LN-KGL.

I've no idea what your talking about really.
You said that after BMI, MAN had little star alliance presence.

If you are inferring that that EVA would only come to MAN if it was fed, then how does the SIA work?

More likely that China Eastern or China Southern to come. The majority of Manchester Chinese are from China or Hong Kong, I doubt Taiwan would be in there.

LN-KGL
22nd May 2012, 19:07
Mr A Tis, sorry that I did forget to use the word "local" and then a more correct sentence would have been:

"EVA will join the Star Alliance in 2013, and since MAN is no Star Alliance hub or Star Alliance has no local presence after BMI went to BA, I doubt it."

rkenyon
22nd May 2012, 21:58
Still makes no sense... Even after adding 'local'.

If it is EVA, then they aren't going to be setting up a hub at MAN, so connecting traffic is not really of any significance.

Skipness One Echo
22nd May 2012, 22:10
More likely that China Eastern or China Southern to come.
Seems China Southern have dropped LHR before launch date, also Chine Eastern isn't yet daily on LHR-PVG. Realistically, we'd have a mature London market in place first?

StoneyBridge Radar
23rd May 2012, 06:59
The demise of bmi is being felt by other *alliance partners.

With no *A connectivity between LHR and the regions, MAN included, regional bookings have fallen off a cliff for those carriers.

I believe that 2 carriers currently being courted are Air New Zealand once again, who may move the LHR - HKG - AKL to MAN, and China A/L with a MAN-BKK-TPE.

Whispers, chinese whispers, smoke and mirrrors, but there is certainly something afoot.

Stu666
23rd May 2012, 09:26
What was wrong with the A320 that made an emergency landing yesterday? The fire engines and a tug were out and the landing looked unusual, almost "floating" onto the runway is the only way I can describe it, very quiet too. Not sure if it was towed off runway or left under its own power as I was leaving at that point, but it certainly stopped on the runway. Overheard someone mention hydraulics, not sure if this was fact or a guess though. Lots of sirens in the distance and drove past quite a few emergency vehicles that were arriving, although this is probably just standard procedure for an emergency?

JackRalston
31st May 2012, 13:41
When I was heading back to the Staff West Car Park on the bus today at about 11:20am, I noticed that police had blocked off the entrance at Ramp Road South leading up to T1 departures and were leading cars away from the area, any issues?

EDIT: Also heard about ZB532 MAN-PMI this morning diverting to LGW because of a drunken passenger in a stag-do group. Apparently he started smoking onboard and then set fire to his mates hair. Hopefully he will get quite a big punishment from Monarch and the Police! Thankfully I didn't check the group in but my two cents say they had quite a few at the bar near Gate 210.

Fairdealfrank
31st May 2012, 13:56
Quote: "MAN has :Adria, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, SAS, SWISS, Singapore AL, TAP, Turkish, United, & US Air,

- all Star Alliance airlines ! "

Be good to see TG added to that list!

chaps2011
1st Jun 2012, 06:30
It`s big lift day today, the new cab is due to be lifted onto the tower with one very large crane

Lobster Vision (http://www.lobstervision.tv/#)
username and password both atc

Many areas including part of taxiway and north firestation are affected

Ian

GavinC
1st Jun 2012, 13:22
The time lapse seems to have stopped loading additional pictures at 12 today. The critical moment too!

Trash_Hauler
1st Jun 2012, 13:23
Arrrggghhh!! Been watching that tower being built since day 1 (I work directly across the apron from it). Annoyed that I wont be there for the big lift. I am on days off and then holiday tomorrow!

JackRalston
2nd Jun 2012, 16:22
Not a good day for the MON1874 MAN-MJT flight. Original slot of 0640, delayed then till 1530 and now G-DAJB is returning back to MAN after holding near DSA.

Skipness One Echo
2nd Jun 2012, 18:44
With no *A connectivity between LHR and the regions, MAN included, regional bookings have fallen off a cliff for those carriers.
I believe that 2 carriers currently being courted are Air New Zealand once again, who may move the LHR - HKG - AKL to MAN, and China A/L with a MAN-BKK-TPE.

Doubt you are going to poach ANZ's second LHR flight given that the comparable point to point traffic volumes are not similar. However bear in mind Air Canada still operate a summer service to Dublin, Barcelona and Rome, if any STAR carrier was going to relaunch long haul, they might be the best bet on MAN-YYZ.

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd Jun 2012, 14:53
However bear in mind Air Canada still operate a summer service to Dublin, Barcelona and Rome, if any STAR carrier was going to relaunch long haul, they might be the best bet on MAN-YYZ.

I remenber Air Canada CEO saying there will be no European long haul routes added until the low cost division of Air Canada is launched and the CEO said that LHR will be transfers to it and DUB will become year round. MAN would surely be looked at after that? but any further increases in APD could cause a problem.

StoneyBridge Radar
3rd Jun 2012, 15:17
I'm not so sure, S1E, about the durability or longevity of NZ's eastbound schedule.

It is fact that it has consistently underperformed and NZ's CEO is on record as having declared the route "at risk."

With route incentives underwriting a move up to MAN, it could, it might make the move viable.

I did say smoke and mirrors, but I do believe efforts are bring made.

Rgds

MKY661
4th Jun 2012, 11:42
Here is the new tower guys:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoppieno3/7315474508/sizes/l/in/pool-714965@N23/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoppieno3/7315474508/sizes/n/in/pool-714965@N23/)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoppieno3/7315474508/sizes/n/in/pool-714965@N23/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoppieno3/7315474508/in/pool-714965@N23/

nigel osborne
4th Jun 2012, 16:11
LN-KGL

"Back track to feed no feeder"

Sorry for being really thick ,but as Im a bit slow can you explain what that actually means in plain English:}

Nigel

GrahamK
5th Jun 2012, 07:33
Was there a visit from a Korean Air Cargo 744F this morning?

chaps2011
5th Jun 2012, 08:50
Yes and the next one is 8th June

Ian

MANLEJ
5th Jun 2012, 22:47
I've noticed that today (5th) and tomorrow (6th) there hasn't been an early flight to Dubai. Is there any reason for this? Is it due to low passenger numbers? I was on EK18 a few weeks ago and it was only 75% full in economy, so I guessed it's due to it being a quite period, but then I remembered that it's meant to be getting an equipment upgrade soon isn't it?

PPRuNeUser0176
6th Jun 2012, 07:58
Reports that ek have dropped EK01 &022 from 16 june. Havent checked there website but ots suposed to of being removed from booking system

chaps2011
6th Jun 2012, 09:30
Are you sure, just checked in July and flight is bookable and is upgraded to B777
from 1st August.
I think you may find a few flights cancelled during low season as they were in May.

Ian

rampman
6th Jun 2012, 13:51
report in tonights M.E.N

Manchester airport set to run out of fuel with passengers facing flights chaos | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1580781_manchester-airport-set-to-run-out-of-fuel-with-passengers-facing-flights-chaos)

:ok: rampman

750XL
6th Jun 2012, 14:07
Looks like there could be chaos later on today or in the morning. I hear fuel has been contaminated at Stanlow

dazdaz1
6th Jun 2012, 14:42
Seems (BBC News) the refuelling (fuel stock) system has a few problems, delays, diversions may be required............. Manchester Airport : Fuel Supply (http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/content/fuelsupply)

JackRalston
6th Jun 2012, 14:52
Work could be interesting tomorrow, any indications on how long this problem could last?

RoyHudd
6th Jun 2012, 14:56
Comedy Airport

G-CPTN
6th Jun 2012, 15:01
BBC News - Manchester Airport likely to 'run out of fuel' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-18344397)

750XL
6th Jun 2012, 15:05
Fuel contamination is hardly the airports fault now, is it :rolleyes:

750XL
6th Jun 2012, 15:12
Airport will run out of fuel by about 6pm tonight, and from what I've heard its unlikely it'll be resolved until tomorrow morning

Dct_Mopas
6th Jun 2012, 15:42
Liverpool have just released a new NOTAM stating diversions being accepted from MAN but fuel may not be available until tomorrow. The hilton at LPL should be nice and full tonight then!

750XL
6th Jun 2012, 15:46
Do Liverpool not get their fuel from Stanlow too?

Invicta DC4
6th Jun 2012, 15:49
Tonights EK20 has scheduled a pit stop at Birmingham for fuel.

spottilludrop
6th Jun 2012, 15:50
Typical, Trumpton international strikes again

dwlpl
6th Jun 2012, 16:39
Rapidman47, I really don't think a thumbs up smiley is appropriate. Don't forget MAN isn't the only North West airport supplied by Stanlow.

Think you are accusing the wrong person.

flying lid
6th Jun 2012, 17:20
Manchester Airport is supplied with fuel via a direct pipeline from the Stanlow refinery at Ellesmere Port. This refinery was sold by Shell to Indian owned ESSAR a couple of years ago.

Fuel quality problems reported for the temporary discontinuance of supply.

1 + 1 = 2

DX Wombat
6th Jun 2012, 17:28
Just announced on the BBC1 news that the problem at Stanlow has been resolved but it may take up to another six hours before fuel levels are back to normal at Manchester so travellers should expect delays rather than cancellations and have been asked to check with the airline before setting off.

Mr Mac
6th Jun 2012, 17:32
This has happened before recently, but not fuel contamination, something to do with a pump for the pipe line if my memory does not fail me, maybe 12 months + ago. Anyone remember ?. Jibes about 3rd world airport std are neither true or accurate in my experiance of Manchester and way too many 3rd world airports. When the lights go out when you are in the terminal or taxing for 10min (India / Africa) then you know you are in the 3rd world !!.

driftdown
6th Jun 2012, 17:38
And why would the Owners country of origin matter :=

Fuel is supplied into the Joint Fuelling system according to the latest standards, sometimes things go wrong. Better to catch it "at source" rather than find out about later

Having been involved in Jet Fuel shipping and certification internationally for 30+ years there is no complacency, systems are followed and if any doubt exists then supply stops.

nigel osborne
6th Jun 2012, 17:45
There seem to have been a fair number of the morning MAN EK flights completely cancelled in recent weeks. It is the quieter period but a loss of an A330 so many times just shows how tough things are out their.

BHX has had a lot of 3 class 77Ws recently too, for the same reason.

Nigel

flying lid
6th Jun 2012, 17:48
Jibes about 3rd world airport std are neither true or accurate in my experiance of Manchester and way too many 3rd world airports.

Agree. My (badly worded & now removed) jibe was aimed at the Indian takeover of Stanlow - MAN is a first class Airport & I use it often.

Just what went wrong at Stanlow ? - I suppose we will never really know.

Good to hear back to normal soon - and I hope the problem is 100% resolved AND 100% monitored so as to not to happen again.

LGS6753
6th Jun 2012, 18:26
Telegraph now reporting that MAN "has run out of fuel" and that a dozen flights have been canx.

JackRalston
6th Jun 2012, 18:41
Manchester Airport now reporting the fuel supply will be replenished in the early hours tomorrow and to expect no delays/cancellations tomorrow.....what's that Daily Telegraph? someone messed up your story?

MKY661
6th Jun 2012, 18:44
I was watching the news before and I have heard that they have now resolved the situation and they said that very few flights will be cancelled but there may be a few delays tonight and into tomorrow morning. They also said to still 'Check with your Airline'

TSR2
6th Jun 2012, 19:32
Telegraph now reporting that MAN "has run out of fuel" and that a dozen flights have been canx.

Telegraph actually reported :

Stocks were finally exhausted at around 6pm, leaving dozens of flights facing cancellations or delays.

LGS6753
6th Jun 2012, 21:38
TSR2 -

You are correct in reporting what the Telegraph is saying now. However, when I posted at 19.26, the article stated that "flights have been cancelled".

Knowing my fellow PPRuNers, I made sure my post was accurate! :ok:

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
6th Jun 2012, 23:41
How old was that boy MAG sent to speak to he BBC? 12? Came across as a total numpty. But ever was the case with MAG. Perhaps I'm just getting too old. :sad:

livermouse
7th Jun 2012, 07:24
I think you have it wrong it was rampman not rapidman47 :ugh:

Ioniser
7th Jun 2012, 08:11
Have been working last two hours on T1 departures .
Lots of LS and EZY flights going via EMA, BRS , LBA, DRS etc to pick up extra fuel.........

TURIN
7th Jun 2012, 11:41
When the lights go out when you are in the terminal or taxing for 10min (India / Africa) then you know you are in the 3rd world !!.

Happened at MAN within the last 12 months, for 6 hours!:eek:

JackRalston
7th Jun 2012, 12:16
Was working with ZB and VS this morning. Confirmed at 4am that refuelling would not start until 0830. A lot of Jet2 and Easyjet flights had diverted to BRS/EMA/LTN to stock up before coming over so they were fine. All the early TOM flights had enough fuel.

MON flights to ALC and VCE had enough fuel and left with no delay, the rest of the morning ones had about 1hr delay tops so no big issue. It's great when a story attempts to cause havoc and the airport authorities can easily deal with it and minimise any delays.

LBIA
7th Jun 2012, 12:25
In total 13x flights were delayed 12x for less than 30 minutes and one for two and a half hours. The Tunisair night stopped as well.

Meanwhile 17x departures this morning also made splash and dashes into other UK airports before completing the onward journeys.

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/fuelsupply.html

gcal
7th Jun 2012, 13:34
And didn't the air conditioning in Term 5 at LHR pack up on the hottest day of the year so far; which was in itself not exactly hot.

Cloud1
7th Jun 2012, 16:21
Jack, I would hardly say it was handled well. The fact that airlines had to divert to other bases is pretty bad and would have potentially have cost those carriers extra money.

And those that were delayed, it may have only been an hour but its an hour that should not have happened. I trust MAN would not be charging any airlines for late departure fees which some airports do.

I agree it could have been far worse, but to suggest it was easily dealt with is questionable.

spannersatcx
7th Jun 2012, 16:39
I would imagine that any bills would be passed to the fuel supplier as it is they who seem to be at fault and not the airport itself.

pwalhx
7th Jun 2012, 16:43
Exactly how would you have handled it then cloud? It was an unusual circumstance entirely out of the control of the airport surely?

AndyH52
7th Jun 2012, 18:52
Apologies to Rapidman47 for my earlier (now deleted) post

MKY661
7th Jun 2012, 22:41
BMI services to Heathrow to become operated by BA at the end of June / early July. Not sure which as Wikipeda (yep) says on heathrow page its 27th June whilst manchester page says its 3rd July.

DomyDom
7th Jun 2012, 22:51
Jet2 service to Split now goes twice weekly for Summer 2013.

opnot
8th Jun 2012, 13:23
Cloud 1
You cannot put contaminated fuel on a aircraft. The fuel was contaminated at source i.e the refinery, nothing to do with the airport. As Pwalhx has already asked you what would you have you done.

JackRalston
9th Jun 2012, 10:55
This mornings MON305 to SFB (I believe G-SMAN) that was due to go at 0915 is delayed....heavily! No information available yet to passengers but I've heard they could be kept overnight and go tomorrow instead. There is an issue with the oil in one of the engines apparently...

Edit #1: Metal was present in one of the engines oil supply, samples were taken and it was finally fixed.

Edit #2: MON305 finally on its way, airborne at 2031.

spannersatcx
10th Jun 2012, 17:36
Sounds like a routine MCD check, when you find metal on them they then need to be sent for analysis to find out what metal it is, which can then determine where it came from, and depending on whence it came will determine what your actions will be.

It is quite common to find 'bits' in a new engine.

Manchester Kurt
11th Jun 2012, 19:26
May 2012 passenger stats are out. (http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/alldocs/914E3227D940E78280257A1A002FED23/$File/May+12.pdf)

Down 1.2% in May.

Not sure how it comes to down 4% over the year though, is that a mistake?

From memory the moving year total was up a couple of % in April. Have some very +ve numbers for May 2011 just dropped out?

Ringwayman
11th Jun 2012, 19:35
don't forget only 1 bank holiday in May. Having a double bank holiday in June probably made it easier for schools to shift the half-term holiday into June. Will be interesting to see what June's figures are like (I have noticed that non-MAN normal style Thomas Cook flight numbers have been appearing i.e. beginning 1, 3 and 8 in addition to the regular ones beginning with 2) so perhaps the sharp drop in charter traffic may not be replicated.

Turkish Airlines have gone public on going 2 daily next year, with a medium term potential for 3 daily. Interestingly, they've not ruled out ops to Liverpool but not for a few years.

Manchester Kurt
11th Jun 2012, 19:38
Ah, good point.

May 2011 we had 3 bank holidays (Royal wedding) May 2012 we had one as the second bank holiday moved for the jubilee.

Still, May was only down 1.2% yet the year moving total is down ~4%.

I reckon it should be + ~4% and they have made a mistake.

BHX2FRA
11th Jun 2012, 19:43
In 2011 there were only 2 bank holidays in May. The Royal Wedding was on the last Friday in April.

EZY7117LPL
11th Jun 2012, 20:23
Turkish Airlines have gone public on going 2 daily next year, with a medium term potential for 3 daily. Interestingly, they've not ruled out ops to Liverpool but not for a few years.

Whats your source with regards to Liverpool?

Ringwayman
11th Jun 2012, 20:34
Source of the TK increase for MAN and possible LPL route (http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/north-west/71661-new-manchester-targets-turkish-airlines).

Last line of the article.

Ringwayman
11th Jun 2012, 21:52
Using the airports own monthly figures, the moving annual terminal passengers are:

dom 02,232,478 -01.11%
int 11,926,622 +12.38%
cht 04,990,781 -06.97%
pvt 00,005,010 +72.70%
tot 19,154,981 +05.03%

i.e. reverse the plus and minus signs on what they've issued and you end up with the correct figures.

Manchester Kurt
11th Jun 2012, 22:00
Aye, thought they'd gone wrong somewhere.

Ioniser
13th Jun 2012, 08:41
Lots of LS and EZY flights going via EMA, BRS , LBA, DRS etc to pick up extra fuel.........

Out of interest, how long would a quick hop to LBA take from MAN and at what altitude/speed ?

Keyvon
13th Jun 2012, 10:37
Norwegian has announced a new route from Manchester to Stockholm (Arlanda), eff. from 1st November, 4 times weekly with 738 equipment.

DY4479 ARN1045 – 1210MAN 73H 145
DY4481 ARN1825 – 1950MAN 73H 7

DY4480 MAN1240 – 1605ARN 73H 145
DY4482 MAN2020 – 2345ARN 73H 7

seahawks
13th Jun 2012, 10:55
Ref the Leeds to Man local flight. The time would vary according to runway in use but somewhere around 15-20 minutes. The max level maybe FL70-90 and speed 220-240kts for a jet.

BHX2FRA
13th Jun 2012, 16:46
Ref the Leeds to Man local flight. The time would vary according to runway in use but somewhere around 15-20 minutes. The max level maybe FL70-90 and speed 220-240kts for a jet.

Using playback on Flightradar24, two flights last Thursday morning took just over 15 minutes - taking off towards the west and landing from the north. EXS801M reached FL54, EXS9611 peaked at FL70.

roverman
13th Jun 2012, 17:09
DY likely to become a big player considering their recent mega aircraft orders. Looks like they are aiming to become a Nordic 'Ryanair' with bases across Europe - there can't be business for 300+ aircraft in Scandinavia alone. Watch out FR, EZY etc. That famous outburst from the Norwegian football commentator could be updated ....

'Lord Nelson, Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Michael O'Leary, Stelios....we gave your boys a real good beating!

MKY661
13th Jun 2012, 17:13
DY likely to become a big player considering their recent mega aircraft orders. Looks like they are aiming to become a Nordic 'Ryanair' with bases across Europe - there can't be business for 300+ aircraft in Scandinavia alone. Watch out FR, EZY etc. That famous outburst from the Norwegian football commentator could be updated ....

I remember reading somewhere that Norwegian was the third largest low cost carrier in Europe. Anyway nice to see a new route and I hope they will introduce more :)

Ringwayman
13th Jun 2012, 18:53
Revised pax numbers for May are now out.

Official comment:
"The charter market remains challenging for many of our airlines. However, boosted by the Jubilee weekend and the later than usual spring half-term school holidays, we anticipate that June will be a stronger month for the charter operators, as the continued strength of the pound in Europe offers holidaymakers incentive to book last-minute deals"

Manchester Kurt
14th Jun 2012, 09:46
CAA figures are out.

Confirmed -1.1% in May. (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data_prov/201205/May_2012_Provisional_Airport_Statistics.pdf)

Seljuk22
16th Jun 2012, 12:14
DY will increase OSL-MAN to 4 weekly from next winter.

Seljuk22
17th Jun 2012, 10:36
TK to go double daily (each one daily B738 and B739) from 30th March 2013.

rowly6339
18th Jun 2012, 01:20
I'm flying MAN-LAS via philly in sept with us airways, anybody know what to expect? travelling economy :hmm:

JSCL
18th Jun 2012, 06:49
I'm flying MAN-LAS via philly in sept with us airways, anybody know what to expect? travelling economy

FA's that aren't are fetching as VS. In terms of travel, I tend to make a trip to LAS usually 2-4 times/year. The US Airways 330's are nice, but feel rather cheap and tired inside when we tried them over VS. VS is the way to go in my opinion for MAN-LAS - but the VS 747's are in a tired state at the moment.

TURIN
18th Jun 2012, 09:30
The US Airways 330's are nice, but feel rather cheap and tired inside when we tried them over VS.

Not any more. They have all been upgraded with new interiors and IFE. The IFE actually works now!!

As for the FAs. If you like the more 'experienced' mature crew then you will be happy. ;)

Betablockeruk
18th Jun 2012, 09:48
SeatGuru Seat Map US Airways Airbus A330-300 (333) (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_Airways/US_Airways_Airbus_A330_300.php)

Hover over your seat for more comments.

JackRalston
18th Jun 2012, 11:48
The US Airways 330's are nice, but feel rather cheap and tired inside when we tried them over VS.

Not now, today we had G-VROM which has been refurbished. Operated VS85/86 yesterday to LAS and is operating the MAN-BGI VS77 today.

Skipness One Echo
18th Jun 2012, 13:50
Operated VS85/86 yesterday to LAS
G-VTOP left MAN yesterday as VIR85L, they swapped aircraft in LAS with G-VTOP operating back to LGW. This saves positioning flights when they need to swap B744s for maintenance at Gatters. You currently have a one in eight chance of getting the refurbished product.

rowly6339
18th Jun 2012, 17:28
Fingers crossed for a fresh bird then;) was looking at VS as they fly direct but left it in the hands of a friend to book and he went down the cheap and nasty route.

easyflyer83
18th Jun 2012, 17:54
US Airways were nothing special when I used them to TPA. Then again, I have never been blown away by Virgin. Nothing particularly wrong with either of them. US had experienced crew but, like many stateside crews, looked like they had been dragged through a hedge backwards where as VS crew generally look the part.
I'd choose VS, marginally, but calling US cheap and nasty is probably an exaggeration.

Further route announcements for MAN within the next 6 months possibly involve a very northerly destination and a City on a certain riviera. Normally don't like myself and others to be so cryptic but I was asked to keep it quiet. Hence the hints.

EDIT: The hints are what I was given..... more or less confirmed by the person who was giving them.

spannersatcx
18th Jun 2012, 18:29
Rumour is LAS will be served by a 330 sometime in the winter by VS.

harer92
18th Jun 2012, 19:53
Further route announcements for MAN within the next 6 months possibly involve a very northerly destination and a City on a certain riviera. Normally don't like myself and others to be so cryptic but I was asked to keep it quiet. Hence the hints.
Hmm in my opinion i think it could be Keflavik being the northerly destination and the rivieran city being either Nice/Marseille or Naples. But lets see what it turns out to be when the airline announces.

johnnychips
18th Jun 2012, 20:23
Naples would be nice, but I haven't minded changing at LGW or MUC in the past.

easyflyer83
18th Jun 2012, 21:40
The information came directly from the commercial manager. I imagine it won't be confirmed until its about to be announced... A couple of years ago Istanbul was close to being announced but fell by the way side.

The first guess sounds spot on but the other guesses are incorrect.

johnnychips
18th Jun 2012, 22:49
The first guess sounds spot on but the other guesses are incorrect.

So Keflavik OK but not Nice, Marseilles or Naples? Trying to think of other rivieras! Rimini (not even sure it has an airport)? Genoa (though it's not called the Ligurian Riviera)? Somewhere in Croatia (Adriatic Riviera)? Perhaps Sardinia? Are Montpellier and Perpignan on the French Riviera? Is there an Atlantic Riviera (Bordeaux)?

PPRuNeUser0176
18th Jun 2012, 22:54
My guess would be Dubrovnik.

johnnychips
18th Jun 2012, 22:58
Croatian Riviera, would make sense.

Looks like a lovely city.

PPRuNeUser0176
18th Jun 2012, 23:00
It is but a little expensive...

johnnychips
18th Jun 2012, 23:09
Well I'm really trying to poke Easyflyer 83. Considering commercial confidentiality, he gave the first one away easily. :8

easyflyer83
18th Jun 2012, 23:28
I think it's safe to say that it wouldn't be that commercially sensitive if said manager decided to hint to employee's. Incidentally, the information is second hand but no reason to question it's authenticity.

BombardierCR7
19th Jun 2012, 10:10
According to Airline Route, Iberia/Air Nostrum will axe MAN-MAD from 14th Sept.

nef
19th Jun 2012, 11:02
Their GLA-MAD route also appears to be unbookable after the end of Aug, so they would appear to be exiting regional UK routes altogether. Unless these routes are being taken over by IB Express or something?

nigel osborne
19th Jun 2012, 14:23
nef

Big jump from a CRK/CR9 to an Iberia Express A320. Suppose they could drop the service to 4 weekly that might work.

However seems likely that as with so many other airports and routes, having Ryan Air and Easy Jet now on the same route they have just flooded the market with too many seats, and Iberia have decided not to try and beat them.

A great shame if true.

Nigel

Cloud1
19th Jun 2012, 15:20
Any reasons for the diversions earlier on?? All at different times?

purplehelmet
19th Jun 2012, 16:13
@cloud1.
i was told that due to the airport fire service dealing with an incident there was a lack of fire cover, resulting in a few diversions, one of them was ek17 (a380)which diverted to lhr.

JackRalston
19th Jun 2012, 17:32
I heard the reason for diversions and a few delays on outbounds was because of a Thomas Cook emergency landing due to engine fire (probably blown out of proportion). Most of the afternoon ZB and TOM flights were all delayed about 30mins/1hr

harer92
19th Jun 2012, 17:55
No it wasnt an engine fire.

It was something to do with the wheels (wheel fire on landing?) / hydraulics / undercarriage

It was TCX2148 / 62TG to Heraklion which turned back over Dubrovnik due to the fact that TCX has a mx hanger here at MAN it was thought best by not only TCX but also the pilot in command as it would be easier to fix the problem at a base or put pax on another aircraft rather than having the a/c and crew stranded downroute on a small greek island.

Johnny F@rt Pants
19th Jun 2012, 18:26
Airport was closed for a while due TCX B767 landing with hydraulic fault needed all the fire crews, so no fire cover, so airport effectively shut. Held for about 15 mins, heard some diverting including the EK A380 off to LHR.

harer92
19th Jun 2012, 18:28
Two TOM aircraft 738 and 752 were diverted to LPL. Cant remember the origin but they were from 2 spanish destinations AFAIK

j636
19th Jun 2012, 19:40
Not sure if its being posted here but Easyjet are also closing MAN-MAD from October.

Mr A Tis
20th Jun 2012, 07:58
How many times has this happened before ? No service, then route swamped with seats, then no service again.
IB & EZY both pulling Madrid ( if true) ..will RYR be next?

Johnny F@rt Pants
20th Jun 2012, 08:55
..will RYR be next?

Probably not, but the fares will only go one way:{

easyflyer83
20th Jun 2012, 10:29
I'm not sure whether MAN-MAD being axed has anything to do with an internal announcement re: EZY's base at MAD. Indeed, not sure what the announcement is but it involves two meetings scheduled with crew and Carolyn McCall late this afternoon.

EZYA319
20th Jun 2012, 17:21
"You could always fly easy from Liverpool that's not getting the chop"

AGREED!

mytravela330
20th Jun 2012, 19:13
i would rather drive to Madrid than fly from liverpool...

EZYA319
20th Jun 2012, 19:17
"i would rather drive to Madrid than fly from liverpool..."

Your choice! :ugh: See ya on 7103/7104 soon ey :rolleyes:

livermouse
20th Jun 2012, 19:18
:ugh::ugh::ugh:Pay top wack with Ryan then:*

StoneyBridge Radar
20th Jun 2012, 19:28
Can the Liverpool willy wavers go elsewhere to peddle their infantile little comments please.

Too many times, PPRUNE threads get locked for crap like this. :mad:

Grow up.

harer92
20th Jun 2012, 19:32
Sorry StoneyBridgeRadar I am not wanting to get involved in this LPL debate, i am merely stating a fact that said person who refuses to fly from liverpool needs to grow up. If that was the only option for me to take a direct flight to Madrid from the NorthWest then i would take it rather than trekking across the country - or 'driving'

harer92
20th Jun 2012, 19:46
Loads are picking up on the new UA100/1? To Washington. Very well indeed if i might add so myself.

j636
21st Jun 2012, 12:17
Sun-Air of Scandinavia to Start Manchester – Gothenburg Route from late-Aug 2012 | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/21/ba-mangot-aug12/)

MKY661
21st Jun 2012, 20:09
EasyJet are to close their base at MAD and i believe they are stopping MAN-MAD after 27 October.

Ringwayman
21st Jun 2012, 20:12
The MAD service is not bookable after September 30th.

chinapattern
22nd Jun 2012, 15:28
Apparantly FR's MAN-MAD isn't bookable beyond 2nd November either.

Aksai Oiler
22nd Jun 2012, 17:28
Maybe all carriers are moving off the Madrid route to complain at the high cost of utilising Barajas :oh:

Certainly takes a very long time to get from runway to the gate, particularly with IBE

JackRalston
23rd Jun 2012, 12:05
Friends flying out on TOM2300 MAN-FUE Wed 4th July, any ideas on the aircraft type?

Not too surprised by what is happening with MAD, although it is a shame considering how the route has gone from being served with 0, to 3 and now possibly back to 0.

dwlpl
23rd Jun 2012, 12:10
Its a A321.

Nomoresteerage
27th Jun 2012, 08:03
TAP Portugal is to add to its Manchester-Lisbon service.

The carrier launched a six day a-week service last year, and firm October 28 this will become a daily service.

TAP Portugal is Manchester’s only scheduled carrier to offer direct services to the Portugese capital. The daily flight will leave Manchester at 11:10am and will offer both a business and economy class.

UK sales manager José Moreira said: “Having successfully launched our new service last summer, we are very happy with the results to date.

"We will have a daily flight this winter and intend to add further frequencies next summer to reflect the increased demand we are experiencing not only to Portugal but beyond to Brazil and Africa.”

Ken O’Toole, chief commercial officer for Manchester Airports Group said: “TAP Portugal is one of out newest airlines at Manchester and it is great news to have them go to a daily service.

" This will not only give passengers access to Portugal’s capital city but TAP are also one of the largest carriers of passengers to South America from Europe and that opens even more destinations to our customer base in the North West.”

International Trade / TAP Portugal to add to flight numbers THEBUSINESSDESK.COM (http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/339330-tap-portugal-to-add-to-flight-numbers.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NorthWest_27th_Jun_2012_-_Daily_E-mail)

StoneyBridge Radar
27th Jun 2012, 08:55
So much for the earlier suggestions by some that the route was on its last legs because TP were often placing a Portugalia F100 on the route. :ok:

Great news. However, what I find most tantalising is the comment:

We......intend to add further frequencies next summer to reflect the increased demand we are experiencing not only to Portugal but beyond to Brazil and Africa."

Is it a preference for Star Alliance with MAN passengers that make this route such a success compared to OneWorld and their inability to make MAN-MAD-The Americas work?

chinapattern
27th Jun 2012, 09:10
Is it a preference for Star Alliance with MAN passengers that make this route such a success compared to OneWorld and their inability to make MAN-MAD-The Americas work?

I raised this discussion on the BHX thread; the fact that IB never even advertised the route shows how un-committed they were to it. I realise the Spanish economy isn't in the best shape at the moment but TAP are obviously proving the business is there; A319's are bigger to fill than the CRJ's and their South American network isn't nearly as big as Iberia's.

With the closure of bmibaby I'd love to see TAP pick up BHX-LIS; from what I gather the loads have been good and that's just on O&D so with connections and perhaps a little *Alliance feed I'm sure this route could work well for them just as it is at MAN.

harer92
27th Jun 2012, 19:45
MON are starting 3x weekly service to Innsbruck (ZB service) from December till April - So Winter Seasonal. A/C looks to be A320. Good news!

partyboy_uk
27th Jun 2012, 20:56
...and Grenoble 4 weekly too

harer92
27th Jun 2012, 21:15
Thats already been announced ex MAN at 3x weekly along with Munich at 4x weekly and Friedrichstafen at 2x weekly. Are you refering to LGW flights to Grenoble or have MON upgauged to 4x weekly from MAN?

roverman
28th Jun 2012, 06:21
Spain won last night on penalties, but Portugal have got their shots on target at MAN. Limited competition on the Lisbon may be a factor, but TAP have promoted the route strongly. Taxis all over Manchester are emblazoned with the TAP livery and proclaiming the route, its frequency and connections. By contrast, the Iberia Madrid was anonymous.

JSCL
28th Jun 2012, 07:27
Not to forget the constant advertisements on the big screen on Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester by TAP and at one point their big banner up the side of Granada Studios. They really have taken on the challenge and frankly, won. It goes to show how important the route advertising is. You can't expect people to be searching for your destination and stumbling upon you by chance.

Nomoresteerage
28th Jun 2012, 08:53
Not to forget the large advert at Liverpool Lime Street - it was there for months and the taxis also going around Liverpool emblazoned with adverts.... Obviously after some of the U2 traffic too.

NMTS

JackRalston
28th Jun 2012, 12:52
Noticed on FR24.com that a few inbounds to MAN (namely MON683 and MON533) are not routing up towards a DAYNE2A or MIRSI1A but instead rerouting further east and around for ROSUN1F? Didn't realise the weather was that bad over central england

MKY661
28th Jun 2012, 17:01
Thats already been announced ex MAN at 3x weekly along with Munich at 4x weekly and Friedrichstafen at 2x weekly. Are you refering to LGW flights to Grenoble or have MON upgauged to 4x weekly from MAN?

I don't remember Innsbruck being announced last time :)

Mr Mac
28th Jun 2012, 17:56
Jack
Bumpy ride back from Germany this afternoon and big storms over Yorkshire (for UK) resulted in a few spilt drinks and re routing. Check one of the storm watch sites I am sure you will see plenty activity.

Mr Mac

harer92
28th Jun 2012, 18:27
Sorry i meant Grenoble was already announced. Innsbruck is a new destination but hasnt been announced by MON via press release yet but is available to book on monarch.co.uk :)

partyboy_uk
28th Jun 2012, 22:22
Sorry Harer, you are correct. I had forgotten GNB had already been announced. I can't keep up with their route announcements recently.

harer92
28th Jun 2012, 22:42
Partyboy_uk no its alright, they are making many announcements all over the place, i mean the INN flight hasnt even had a press release yet(?) unless they are waiting to add more flights before they release another big PR??

JackRalston
29th Jun 2012, 15:29
EasyJet are bringing forward the launch of the Manchester-Basel route a month. Now starting 1st October (instead of 29th October) due to "exceptionally strong" pre-booking figures :ok:

harer92
29th Jun 2012, 15:34
These will probably be the passengers that used to use to Swiss service. Good on EZY that they are seeing a gap in the market and plugging it!

AndyH52
29th Jun 2012, 17:44
MAN-BSL
EasyJet are bringing forward the launch of the Manchester-Basel route a month. Now starting 1st October (instead of 29th October) due to "exceptionally strong" pre-booking figures

Or perhaps because MAN - MAD ends on 30th September and they need something to do with the aircraft?

easyflyer83
29th Jun 2012, 18:39
BSL was announced before MAD was axed. Indeed, MAD and BSL were both on sale for a period.

easyflyer83
29th Jun 2012, 18:44
A VS 346 on approach. Anyone know why?
Also a Kenyan 777 went over Newton, Hyde te other night.

Ringwayman
29th Jun 2012, 18:46
VS going to Air Livery apparently

dwlpl
29th Jun 2012, 20:30
Indeed, MAD and BSL were both on sale for a period.

Yes but using the same aircraft at the same time.

spannersatcx
29th Jun 2012, 21:28
A VS 346 on approach. Anyone know why?

A day late from off lease check in Manila. Getting painted white then gone from the VS fleet.

doublesix
30th Jun 2012, 21:01
Spanner

Are U The Virgin engineer I took back to the hotel the other night? If yes thanks for the tip, much appreciated. :O

StoneyBridge Radar
30th Jun 2012, 21:28
Oh, if ever there was an award for the post with multiple double entendres :E:D:D:D

harer92
30th Jun 2012, 21:40
:D:E hahaha very good! This is where proof reading/punctuation comes into play, although im glad that this time it wasnt used as it has made me LOL very hard!

onyxcrowle
30th Jun 2012, 22:31
I musters admit that made me lol as well . How we all have dodgy minds

Betablockeruk
30th Jun 2012, 23:07
Make that a Bangladesh 777.

spannersatcx
1st Jul 2012, 12:58
Spanner

Are U The Virgin engineer I took back to the hotel the other night? If yes thanks for the tip, much appreciated. :O
Sorry no I am not he.

jabird
3rd Jul 2012, 08:47
it has made me LOL very hard!

Is that the David Cameron type of LOL? :p

jabird
3rd Jul 2012, 08:50
There was some comment earlier on about SQ going direct, but any bookings I have looked at are all still via MUC.

I've always wondered why they are operating a service which can only have limited O&D via another hub, even if it is a biggie for Star.

Also, from what I understand, BG's MAN-DAC is a direct service, but the LHR service routes via DXB. Logic?

Skipness One Echo
3rd Jul 2012, 10:03
BG's MAN-DAC is a direct service, but the LHR service routes via DXB. Logic?
Half way there.....
Wed BG015 / 016 DHA-LHR-MAN-DHA
Sat BG017 / 018 DHA-LHR-MAN-DHA
Sun BG005 / 006 DHA-LHR-DHA

The odd DHA-DXB-LHR flights are extras on the A310 which can't apparently make it direct. It's worth remembering that MAN used to have a daily direct B777-200ER serving MAN-SIN, the current situation is a large drop in capacity with an added stop, but is much better than having the route dropped.

Ringwayman
3rd Jul 2012, 18:53
and SQ seemingly have worked out the sums and must have boosted available MAN capacity given the loads are appreciably higher than they were some time ago =why boost them if the German market is filling them. Can't say anything for the breakdown of classes between MAN and MUC but don't think having LH operate MUC-SIN in competition helps SQ.

roverman
4th Jul 2012, 06:43
According to a Handling Agent I know, SQ are picking up transfer pax at MAN including some from the VS Orlando service. This seems a strange route but it all helps keep the service viable.

JackRalston
4th Jul 2012, 17:07
Friend just posted a photo showing a car on fire in Staff West Car Park....not good.

roverman: yes there seems to be quite a few connecting off VS76 onto SQ327

Skipness One Echo
4th Jul 2012, 17:40
yes there seems to be quite a few connecting off VS76 onto SQ327
To Munich or are they really flying MCO-MAN-MUC-SIN???? That's interesting...

JackRalston
4th Jul 2012, 17:42
To Munich or are they really flying MCO-MAN-MUC-SIN????

Yep, really are travelling MCO-MAN-MUC-SIN, a weekly occurrence it seems

jabird
5th Jul 2012, 00:09
ep, really are travelling MCO-MAN-MUC-SIN, a weekly occurrence it seems

That is interesting, but compared to MCO-LGW + LHR-SIN, or any routing via another US E Coast airport, is it surprising? After all, isn't SIN-EWR premium only?

750XL
5th Jul 2012, 00:31
There's always been a handful of pax connecting from VS onto the SQ

european130
5th Jul 2012, 03:14
i kow its slightly off subject but there are always daily connections from EK onto the VS orlando flight.

JackRalston
7th Jul 2012, 12:57
Just diverted to Manchester, no emg. squawk, could be either a fuel stop (serious miscalculation) or medical...anyone care to enlighten?

EDIT: Medical diversion is the cause :ok:

Seljuk22
7th Jul 2012, 14:18
Jun 2012

Passengers: 2,058,389 +6.64%
http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/alldocs/37BDF1EF78B238A980257A300056C81E/$File/June+12.pdf

Could be 20m by the end of the year.

LN-KGL
7th Jul 2012, 17:29
The chances for MAN reaching 20 million this year is very slim to non. To reach 20 million the growth would have to be at least 6.9% the rest of the year. With the three next month being very important charter traffic months, the reduced number of based charter aircraft points to a continues deline of charter passengers in excess of the year rolling number right now which is -7.2%. With that in mind and now knowing the increase starting with W12/13, MAN may well end up around 19.8 million terminal passengers in 2012 (that means around 5% increase in average the next six months).

StoneyBridge Radar
7th Jul 2012, 18:13
LN-KGL could well be right.

On the other hand, I'm hearing bookings to escape the Olympics and Mother Nature are boosting forward figures nationwide. Is it enough to push it that final 200,000 over KGL's estimate?

Place your bets ! :ok:

LN-KGL
7th Jul 2012, 22:32
Seven football matches at Old Trafford - isn't that the only whiff of the Olympics Manchester gets? Why evacuate?

Mother Nature is something different. I had two trips to British Isles in April, and I did bring with me an umbrella. The umbrella I had to fold as it turned tulip while visiting a part of Wales where one of the hangars at the airfield I visited threatened with taking off. Driving back to Chester from Wales passing Wrexham I wondered why the drains had turned in to fountains. :)

SWBKCB
8th Jul 2012, 05:57
Seven football matches at Old Trafford - isn't that the only whiff of the Olympics Manchester gets? Why evacuate?

You've obviously not seen any UK television recently - the B... Olympics are everywhere!

Seljuk22
8th Jul 2012, 07:35
Rolling 12 months until June 2012:
19,467,014 +5,21%

532,986 left to 20m or 88,831 per month.

In June 2012 MAN saw 128,123 passengers more than in June 2011. If it continues like that then it's possible.

jubilee
8th Jul 2012, 08:38
LN-KGL

I think SBR is implying,people leaving the country to escape the Olympics. Only wish I could join them.
J

MANFlyer
8th Jul 2012, 17:30
SQ and VS have been codesharing on each others flights through MAN since Jesus was a lad. ;)

They used to get some interesting feed on the old nonstop 772ER flights to SIN with people who wanted to fly them but avoid the hellhole in West London, including quite a few from EI. As for it going nonstop, again, well add that to all the other rumours including being dropped, delinked with MUC and linked with CPH instead, linked with AMS, linked with BRU, going 'Scoot'....

One of them will come true at some point I'm sure.

JackRalston
9th Jul 2012, 21:53
BBC News - Oldham robbery suspect evades police at Manchester Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-18776290) :ugh:

Suzeman
10th Jul 2012, 12:25
Assuming the MEN story is correct that the police knew that the man knew that the police were waiting for him, could they not have gone to the aircraft to apprehend him? Or are there some rules preventing this?

Suzeman

JackRalston
10th Jul 2012, 12:44
Assuming the MEN story is correct that the police knew that the man knew that the police were waiting for him, could they not have gone to the aircraft to apprehend him? Or are there some rules preventing this?

Exactly what I thought. Apparently they were waiting for him in arrivals and he managed to get through a door left open in the baggage hall.

MAN777
10th Jul 2012, 15:04
Just seen this job advertised which may be of interest to someone

Tours Co-ordinator - Totaljobs.com (http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSearch/JobDetails.aspx?JobId=54034819)

Also the annual Aviation and Transport fair is on this coming weekend

TAS Fair (http://tasmanchester.co.uk/TAS_Fair.html)

Lets hope the rain holds off.

750XL
10th Jul 2012, 20:17

I could be completely wrong, but I think the passenger actually has to pass through immigration to 'enter the country', as from leaving the plane - arriving at immigration you're basically in no mans land.

easyflyer83
10th Jul 2012, 20:31
Not really. Police can, and do, arrest people on the airbridge/gate area. However, as usually is the case there should be no issue in getting the passenger through the terminal to immigration where apprehending is probably easier and somewhat safer than in the confines of an aircraft or airbridge.

AFAIK, the UK border at an airport is more of a clerical formality and once you're on the ground you are very much in the UK.

jeffmaslin
13th Jul 2012, 13:50
My daughter is on that flight. I flew out tom634 yesterday ex Luton and the crowd were not happy. I departed at 2010 (30 minutes early) and left my daughter there. Speaking with TCX duty manager today, there was a problem with a landing system, had an emergency landing (although routine with fire tenders on standby), put all passengers in a local hotel. Flying out part today, due at 1800 local and are looking at departing 0030 local 14th. (Information is really hard to come by so if anyone hears anything let me know so that I can keep my daughter updated.

Cheers

j636
13th Jul 2012, 18:49
Are Ryanair basing 4 aircraft this winter. By looking at the schedule it looks like 2 bases which would be them going back on there word. Anyone have any info?

phil2
13th Jul 2012, 20:41
will be travveling on a tom flight to gran canaria on 15th sept outbound 15.55 just wondered anyone know what size aircraft we will be on?

OltonPete
14th Jul 2012, 09:44
j636

You have to say looking at that schedule it is certainly set up at present to have just two operational aircraft from the Manchester base this winter.

There is a fairly impressive number of away based Ryanair visiting though most days but still no Madrid bookable. Rzesnow is also not bookable either but there are a couple of gaps in the based schedule on some days for more flights.

Beavais on Monday, Wednesday and Friday departs at 14.00 and returns 23.15, which is pretty typical for any FR BVA flight but also takes the Manchester based aircraft away for a good few hours.

Pete

TSR2
14th Jul 2012, 09:47
If its TOM2676 then its a B763.

phil2
14th Jul 2012, 19:42
i havnt got the flight number yet, does it say the time it departs? all i have is that we depart MAN at 15.55
im going for 11 nights just wondered coming home (early hours 27th sept departing gran canaria at 02.10) do you know if thats also a 763? flew the 767 to BGI last year would enjoy going again on her.

TSR2
14th Jul 2012, 21:21
Yes, TOM2676 departs 15.55. Return flight 11 days later is TOM2351 arriving 06.15 and is an Airbus A321.

Victor Inox
16th Jul 2012, 15:47
On the tarmac - next to T3 - there is a concrete circle with "I (heart) MCR" painted onto it, visible from above.

What relevance is there in the "MCR"?

Stu666
16th Jul 2012, 15:49
Is it not an abbreviation of "Manchester"? Perhaps something to do with Manchester's contribution to the Olympics?

750XL
16th Jul 2012, 15:51
It's from the 'I love MCR' campaign after the riots.

I love Manchester campaign grows in strength | UK news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-northerner/2011/aug/19/manchester-riots-fightback-shopping-campaign)

easyflyer83
16th Jul 2012, 15:55
What relevance is there in the "MCR"?

MCR is a NYC type of abbreviation. Nothing to do with the airport per se but as someone already mentioned it was a campaign prompted by last Summer's riots. Although the MCR abbreviation has been around for years and there is even a couple of 'Manchester' stores selling MCR merchandise.

If MAN's code was MCR then it would be of greater relevance at the airport.

ETOPS
16th Jul 2012, 17:00
There used to be an NDB coded "MCR" to the the southwest of the field.

Suzeman
16th Jul 2012, 20:26
On the tarmac - next to T3 - there is a concrete circle with "I (heart) MCR" painted onto it, visible from above.

Can't find this as an approved aerodrome marking in CAP 168.....:E

Hope nobody mistakes it for an helicopter "H"....

S

roverman
16th Jul 2012, 20:44
Yes, 'MCR' was the old 06 outer marker beacon if I recall correctly. MCH was the on-airfield non-directional beacon. All were removed some time ago, but the on-airfield onmi-directional beacon still chimes out 'MCT' in Morse every few seconds if you tune in 113.55 MHz.

The I Love MCR thing was for the post riots campaign last summer. Who remembers the Olympic rings flower display beside the Fantail in support of the Olympic bid for 1996, or the 2003 UEFA footballs on various grass islands?

Victor Inox
17th Jul 2012, 07:07
Thanks to all of you for the interesting background information on the "MCR" thingy.

Suzeman
17th Jul 2012, 13:33
Who remembers the Olympic rings flower display beside the Fantail in support of the Olympic bid for 1996, or the 2003 UEFA footballs on various grass islands?

Or the plastic cows for the Manchester Cow Parade in 2004?.

These were all at the airport; some spent some time outside on the airfield adjacent to taxiways at the end of T1 Pier B to publicize the event. Led to some interesting exchanges with ATC - Roger, mooove along the taxiway was one.

Also had some fun getting them into the restricted zone....

CowParade Manchester, England cow detail - Alphadite, Goddess of Shopping (http://manchester.cowparade.com/cow/detail/2233/)

CowParade Manchester, England cow detail - Flying Moochine (http://manchester.cowparade.com/cow/detail/2236/)

CowParade Manchester, England cow detail - Captain Incredibull (http://manchester.cowparade.com/cow/detail/2235/)

CowParade Manchester, England cow detail - Cow in Sheep's Clothing (http://manchester.cowparade.com/cow/detail/2237/)

CowParade Manchester, England cow detail - Heifer Nice Flight (http://manchester.cowparade.com/cow/detail/2234/)

CowParade Manchester, England cow detail - MAGiCow (http://manchester.cowparade.com/cow/detail/2231/)

CowParade Manchester, England cow detail - Rita is Full of Beans (http://manchester.cowparade.com/cow/detail/2232/)

http://manchester.cowparade.com/newsletter/MCR_MOOSLETTER_2.pdf

Cow "anoraks" had to get airside to see one so not many "got" that one. The other sneaky one was at Crewe station.....

Suzeman

Hamburg 2K8
17th Jul 2012, 18:28
Flying to Bremen with FR next month, am I going to suffer on my return with the T3 immigration queues? Last time I flew from T3 in March with FR to Faro outgoing didn't start well due to queuing for 30mins at check in even though I had checked in online I only wanted to drop my bag off but was told to check in and I think it was shift change.

On another note, haven't used T1 since January with LH (my favourite terminal) have the airbridges that were replacing been done? I think I noticed that stand 31? was not in use due to a new airbridge being installed don't know about any others but I know stands 6, 8 & 10 on Pier B needs replacing and with a direct link into the terminal instead of down the stairs, through the dingy walkway and up the stairs, how bad does it look for incoming passengers, especially for those who haven’t been here before, stand 12 airbridges and gate area put the rest of this pier to shame!

MKY661
17th Jul 2012, 19:50
On another note, haven't used T1 since January with LH (my favourite terminal) have the airbridges that were replacing been done? I think I noticed that stand 31? was not in use due to a new airbridge being installed don't know about any others but I know stands 6, 8 & 10 on Pier B needs replacing and with a direct link into the terminal instead of down the stairs, through the dingy walkway and up the stairs, how bad does it look for incoming passengers, especially for those who haven’t been here before, stand 12 airbridges and gate area put the rest of this pier to shame!

I think stand 29 has had it done and last time when I flew from MAN I saw an aircraft using it, think it was a TCX.

Agree about the airbridges in Pier B. The Airbridges in T2 also need replacing if you ask me as they are exactly the same. Not sure about the airbridges in Pier C (but not the end) need replacing but they certainly need a refurb. The ones at the end of Pier C looked really nice inside before they were taken down.

Does anybody have a pic inside one of the new airbridges by the way? Would be nice to see what it looks like as I wont be using T1 for a while.

Hamburg 2K8
17th Jul 2012, 20:09
I haven't used T2 airbridges since the days of Brittania and that for me was in 2003. Don't know where u mean when you say at at end of Pier C? T3 airbridges have always been ok inside and out from what I can see, but suppose they would be the newest. Knock end of Pier C down (gate 31 side) and extend towards T2 gate 200. This would surley prevent the waiting game for some aircraft taxing to and from T2 to the runways?

750XL
17th Jul 2012, 20:12
Stand 29, 31 and 32 have all been replaced and have been fully operational for a while now. I think plans have been laid down to gradually replace all bridges on T1.

I think I'm correct in saying that the older C pier bridges are now approaching 40+ years of service and are in desperate need of replacing. B pier bridges are a little bit newer but equally as knackered.

The Airbridges in T2 also need replacing if you ask me as they are exactly the same

The T2 bridges are some of the newest and most reliable in the airport and have recently been refurbed with new interior lights etc, not sure why they'd need replacing :*

MKY661
17th Jul 2012, 20:13
When I talk about the end of Pier C i mean Gates 28-32. You know the Octagon area.

Mr A Tis
18th Jul 2012, 21:07
Hamburg.

I arrived the other week from Bremen with RYR into T3 on a Sat morning.
From Gate to Ringway Road bus stop less than 10 minutes.

JackRalston
19th Jul 2012, 07:08
Confirmed today that Monarch have handed an improvement notice into Swissport.....not good news http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Cleared For A Coffee
19th Jul 2012, 09:21
Any chance of Manchester getting a Qatar 787 any time soon?

cu nim
19th Jul 2012, 14:37
What year was the last vc10 into Manchester

Mr Mac
19th Jul 2012, 16:46
Flew in BOAC one from there in 1972 Dec(I think) to Carribean, but no idea when they stopped. Do not think it would be long after that though. Great plane and only time I ever flew in one.:ok:

roverman
19th Jul 2012, 18:04
Ooh, I'm pretty sure the last scheduled service was in 1980 on the BA184/185 MAN/PIK/JFK/PIK/MAN. VC10s continued in BA service until 1981 but the MAN services had switched to B707/747. There was little to compare with the sweet song of four RR Conways as the elegant lady trundled to the 24 holding point!