PDA

View Full Version : MANCHESTER - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

learjet50
18th Dec 2011, 15:14
I Think we have a weather and snow clearance expert with Top Spotter

He seems to know all there is to know about un forcast Weather etc

Maybe he would like to ring the snow clearance team when he feels the weather might turn Ho Ho

I have nothing against spotters whatsoever but his name TOPSPOTTER i think sums him up is he king of the Spotters at EMA or what

TOPSPOTTER

Concentrate on EMA let the PROFFESIONALS at Manchester sort out the problems at Manchester which they have done very sucessfully over Many years

OOps have to go a flake of snow went by will have to alert all and we do have an Air Zimbongwer DC!2 and a Half due from from Upper loola
due soon (Would hate it have to divert to EMA may give Top spotter a Thromby_

Going to Evening Mass

Amen

Gerry

Ian Brooks
18th Dec 2011, 16:09
Top Spotter or is it top T***** because you are really is winding me up and gives the real spotters a bad name.
Manchester actually gets less snow than many of the south eastern airports and usually when it does it is the worst type (wet ) which causes very large problems in that slush is very bad for aircraft ( Munich 1958 ) it reduces performance on take off dramitically so has to be cleared before departures whereas a small build up of dry snow will blow away as aircraft take off
Topspotter try clearing your drive with wet and dry snow and see the difference in effort needed and the results, then think what it is like to clear 2 miles of runway and 3 or 4 times more in taxyway and ramps

Ian B

TSR2
18th Dec 2011, 17:13
Posted by Topspotter
er... its mid winter in the northern half of the country

Officially the FIRST day of winter this year is DECEMBER 22nd

TURIN
18th Dec 2011, 17:44
The airport closed because the snow wasn't predicted, meaning we didn't have the staff on standby to deal with the snow that fell

Oh come on!!

I watched the TV weather forcast on three different channels. BBC, ITV & Sky. All of them predicted snow in the middle of the UK with the edges of that snow boundary brushing MAN. I live 15 miles south of the airport. I was expecting snow and planned accordingly. You telling me the airport didn't?
Bull!! They took a risk and made the wrong call just to save a few bob.

All for the sake of a handful of staff probably on minimum wage+.

Bad call. Typical bean counters. For the sake of a few hundred quid in staff costs they have cost the airlines and themselves thousands. Not to mention upsetting passengers, the bad press and poor performance expectation in the future. World class my Arris!!

:=

opnot
18th Dec 2011, 17:44
topspotter
I do not know where you get your info from , where I was sat the samos was giving a OAT of zero or less and snow showers most of the morning

mickyman
18th Dec 2011, 19:25
Well done 'Topspotter' you have managed to annoy all the
opinionated - self obsessed - self important baffoons who
'contribute' to this 'Manchester R US' thread.

Keep up the good work - bring on the blizzard !!

MM

Homo Simpson
18th Dec 2011, 21:06
You lot need girlfriends!!!

Sunnyjohn
18th Dec 2011, 21:56
I follow this thread because I hope one day there will be news regarding flights to Valencia (there are, starting in March). However, I will now continue to read it for its sheer entertainment value. Do keep up the good work chaps and chapesses.

JSCL
18th Dec 2011, 21:57

Why bother when they can just get a job with Cathay? ;)

TURIN
18th Dec 2011, 22:35

Absolutely!

But I think my wife would object. ;)

Ian Brooks
19th Dec 2011, 07:58
Turin exactly! I was going to say the same but my wife was stood next to me at the time lol!

Ian B

FR-
19th Dec 2011, 08:44
Any one like to post about MAN? How are the ryanair routes doing so far, ive noticed the flights are very cheap.

fr-

TSR2
19th Dec 2011, 09:18
How are the ryanair routes doing so far, ive noticed the flights are very cheap.

Some may be, but others are very expensive particularly if you need to take a hold bag.

JSCL
19th Dec 2011, 09:23
Wouldn't say FR were too cheap out of MAN. Flew out on a Friday morning to DUB. Returned same day abut 8pm flight back.

Booked for 14 people to travel, came out to £108/person return. I didnt see it as cheap. No hold baggage or even carry on for that fact. I despise using LOCO's. Aer Lingus was cheaper on the day but only 5 seats avail.

Suzeman
19th Dec 2011, 12:00
I would say the biggest mistake with the 2nd runway was not building a taxiway all the way to the far western end; thus requiring any aircraft landing on 23L, or departing on 05R to back track on the runway.

I think there was a plan to do this in the future.

In the original planning, there was a plan to have a parallel taxiway for the second runway. However it was dropped because

1) The way the runways are normally used because of the spacing between them - landing on 05R or departing on 23L doesn't require one. A parallel taxiway is only required when landing 23L and departing 05R which doesn't happen often (although all this summer whilst R1 is fixed but at night-time only when traffic is generally lighter)

2) A parallel taxiway would require much extra land take, a much longer tunnel over the river and A538 and the cost could not be justified with so little regular use and no capacity gain in normal operations.

3) Bearing in mind the above and the planning climate, it was decided not to proceed with it.

Who knows whether it will ever be resurrected - I guess not in the foreseeable future anyway

Suzeman

Topspotter
19th Dec 2011, 12:28
750XL.....Ref your comments about lack of staff, how about training some of the keystone ops guys to operate sleet clearing equipment? that way a vast army of under used jobsworths could if the unthinkable does happen and snow/sleet falls in a major northern european airport in mid winter leap into action and prevent the sort of debacle that once again befell man a few days ago.

On the other hand the airport could break the habit of a lifetime actually plan for the unthinkable so when the siberian onslaught thats been predicated for days does arrive staff trained for the momentous task of sleet clearing are on shift

750XL
19th Dec 2011, 13:36
Majority of FR flights are showing good load factors, usually 130+ on most flights depending on the day. Obviously some of the DUB flights have low loads (like they've always done) but generally loads look strong, with decent amount of bags on some of the longer routes :hmm:

Espada III
19th Dec 2011, 13:58
Apart from the obvious FRA, AMS, CDG and BRU are there any European cities one can fly to from MAN early in the morning and return late at night, for a good day trip? I would like to do DUB, but the flights seem to return too early to get an early evening meal in.

JSCL
19th Dec 2011, 14:04
Prague and IOM are doable :)

Skipness One Echo
19th Dec 2011, 14:13
London.
That is all.

750XL
19th Dec 2011, 14:32
Apart from the obvious FRA, AMS, CDG and BRU are there any European cities one can fly to from MAN early in the morning and return late at night, for a good day trip? I would like to do DUB, but the flights seem to return too early to get an early evening meal in.

Dublin on Ryanair (out 0755 back 2215), only certain days for the late return flight though, mostly very cheap.

Munich on Lufthansa (out 0700 back 2125), have to pick the right dates to get a good fare though.

Geneva on easyJet (out 0640 back 2135), have to pick the right dates once again.

That's three from the top of my head that are affordable (under £100), and I'm sure there's plenty more.

During the summer the likes of AGP/ALC/PMI/IBZ/MAH and even the Canaries are all do-able for a day trip on the various charter and low cost airlines.

Look around, there's plenty of stuff :ok: Even more if you're willing to do 'connection' flights on FR (ie MAN-RYG-CRL-MAN)

jackieofalltrades
19th Dec 2011, 18:04
In the original planning, there was a plan to have a parallel taxiway for the second runway. However it was dropped because

1) The way the runways are normally used because of the spacing between them - landing on 05R or departing on 23L doesn't require one. A parallel taxiway is only required when landing 23L and departing 05R which doesn't happen often (although all this summer whilst R1 is fixed but at night-time only when traffic is generally lighter)

2) A parallel taxiway would require much extra land take, a much longer tunnel over the river and A538 and the cost could not be justified with so little regular use and no capacity gain in normal operations.

3) Bearing in mind the above and the planning climate, it was decided not to proceed with it.

Who knows whether it will ever be resurrected - I guess not in the foreseeable future anyway

I agree in that it might not have seemed cost effective at the time of construction of the 2nd runway to build the parallel taxiway the entire length. But it would have been a great deal cheaper to have built it then at the initial construction phase rather than add it on now or in the future.

Sadly the bean counters took control of the planning. Before the move north, chatting to a number of my colleagues up in the tower, many commented that it would make their work easier if there were a taxiway to the far western end of 23L.

roverman
19th Dec 2011, 19:22
We've been over this a few times before, and 750XLs quote is from one of my posts on this topic. I'm a great advocate of infrastructure investment, but the decision not to build the R2 parallel taxiway was the right one. The cost of it was/is massive (£60M at last estimate) for something that will only be used infrequently (2011 is an exception). Just as with Amsterdam's Polderbaan (18R/36L) the normal dual-runway operating mode does not require a taxiway. MAN could do far better investing that money on developing the northside taxiways to ensure capacity and resilience day to day.

jackieofalltrades
19th Dec 2011, 20:11
Amsterdam is a different example because there are 5 other runways besides 18R/36L, so should one become closed for whatever reason, there are still plenty of other options available. I envision it being a major incident to leave 36L as the only landing runway or 18R as the only runway for departures. Which if were the case, would most certainly result in the closure of Schiphol to movements anyways.

Yes, the cost is most likely prohibitive to extend the taxiway at EGCC now, and I agree that money is better spent elsewhere at the airport. But I still believe it would have made sense to have constructed it at the same time as the construction of runway 2, especially considering how much it would have been utilised in the past couple of years.

LN-KGL
19th Dec 2011, 21:59

You can also add these three cities to the list 750XL gave:
DUS - flybe departure MAN 06:50 - arrival MAN 21:35
HAJ - flybe departure MAN 08:30 - arrival MAN 20:50
ZRH - Swiss departure MAN 08:40 - arrival MAN 18:10

Both DUS and ZRH have facilities for aviation enthusiasts!

learjet50
19th Dec 2011, 22:07
How about Man-Norwich-Man

O/B 0800 ish in the morning Back 2030 ish in the evening

Go downtown to the broads Hire a Day Boat cruise the Broads stop at a few Pubs and come back

Very sociable

PPRuNeUser0176
19th Dec 2011, 22:14
Cork, Shannon and Belfast can be done in a day.

EI-A330-300
19th Dec 2011, 22:27
Singapore Airlines today announced there summer 2012 planned schedule changes.

Singapore – Munich – Manchester Reduces from Daily to 6 weekly, GDS not updated to reflect these changes yet.

LN-KGL
19th Dec 2011, 22:33
How about Man-Norwich-Man

Espada III said European cities - Norwich or any other UK airport isn't a part of Europe, or is it? ;)

JSCL
19th Dec 2011, 22:42
The SIN MAN-MUC is a stupid move IMO. I would usually have frequented Singapore Airlines for my flights to Aus a couple of times a year. Have switched to Qatar now - much prefer the service and better than a MUC stop. But I do hate Qatar's A330's out of MAN!

Manchester Kurt
20th Dec 2011, 08:35
Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary at Institute of Directors North West conference | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/business/s/1468449_ryanair-boss-michael-oleary-at-institute-of-directors-north-west-conference)

JSCL
20th Dec 2011, 08:57
Will be at the conference. Oh how I can't wait even more so now!

harer92
20th Dec 2011, 15:52
But I do hate Qatar's A330's out of MAN!

what are the condition of the a330-200's and a330-300's out of manchester like as i am flying them next year?

Cheers,
Hare92.

Suzeman
20th Dec 2011, 16:28
Skipness said about day trips

London. That is all.

And here's us thinking that you had a broad rather than London-centric outlook :eek:

jackie

I agree in that it might not have seemed cost effective at the time of construction of the 2nd runway to build the parallel taxiway the entire length. But it would have been a great deal cheaper to have built it then at the initial construction phase rather than add it on now or in the future.

Sadly the bean counters took control of the planning. Before the move north, chatting to a number of my colleagues up in the tower, many commented that it would make their work easier if there were a taxiway to the far western end of 23L.

And how would a parallel taxiway increase capacity in current normal operations? Not one bit. And in the future? Only when the closely spaced parallel runways operational rules change, which I very much doubt will happen in the foreseeable future. So you would have invested in a taxiway which would have been used only infrequently for the last 10 years and probably will be so for at least the next 10 years with all the depreciation and maintenance costs.....

Of course it would make the TWR controllers job easier especially in the last year but do you think the business case would ever stack up for these infrequent operations? And who would pay? Answer - the airlines through charges.

Please remember that during the time the Airport was subject to stringent economic regulation by the CAA; every investment was pored over in great detail by them and the airlines and the airport was subject to a cap on its charges. Whilst the airline community were very pro the development overall, I don't remember the airlines being at all enthusiastic over this part of the plan - and even less enthusiastic about the idea of having a 3600m runway...:).

NATS of course were neither for or against R2 at the Public Inquiry but merely there to assist the Inspector with technical issues........

In addition, the issue of planning permission was by no means a given with considerable local opposition and having a taxiway built that wasn't going to be used very often was just giving them more ammunition.

So whilst the layout and spacing was not ideal, at least permission was granted and has allowed the airport to increase it's capacity especially in the morning and evening peaks when it needed it most. How many other new runway projects have actually been completed in the UK in the last 30 years??

Suzeman

JSCL
20th Dec 2011, 16:29
They are 'okay' those 330's but Economy really is packed for leg room compared to the 777 I find myself on the Doha-MEL/SYD routes. There is a very distinct difference. Flew out of MAN on a 777 and to MEL on a 777 and then MEL- Doha on a 777. However the Doha to MAN leg on a 330 is torture if you're in economy.

Jamie2k9
20th Dec 2011, 22:07
Aer Lingus to increase DUB-MAN from 20 weekly summer 2011 to 23 weekly next summer. Also increase from Ryanair from 21 weekly to 24 weekly.

j636
21st Dec 2011, 11:52
airblue to Start Islamabad – Istanbul; Manchester Service Adjustments from late-Dec 2011 | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2011/12/21/ed-istman-dec11/)

New MAN- Istanbul.

newscaster
23rd Dec 2011, 12:25
Air Blue have revised the date to 13 January, will they have rights IST-MAN?

Suzeman
24th Dec 2011, 21:37
Ey up then - wot's this?

Hiya kid!: Manchester Airport call centre staff trained to sound Mancunian | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1468962_hiya-kid-manchester-airport-call-centre-staff-trained-to-sound-mancunian)

Cheers

Suzeman

chaps2011
24th Dec 2011, 22:50
Excellent idea Suzeman I think they should put Chris H on the tannoy, mind you they wouldn`t need a tannoy would they.

Ian

chaps2011
24th Dec 2011, 23:01
Suzeman nothing better to do, thought you would have been getting the Reindeer ready lol!
Seriouly I think that is very good as Manchester has a lot of heritage and should
be proud of it, but as the airport is part owned by the other councils in the area they should be involved also. I think putting Chris H on information desk for
Stockport would be good and they wouldn`t need a PA system.

Happy Christmas to one and all on the Manchester forumhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Ian

johnnychips
24th Dec 2011, 23:40
but as the airport is part owned by the other councils in the area they should be involved also.

Well the 1 in 20 staff who come from Tameside will expect to have the mick taken when they ask passengers about their bookings. The 'oo' vowel sound is pronounced like in 'room'. Very different from the Liam Gallagher 'Manc' accent.

Merry Xmas.

chaps2011
25th Dec 2011, 07:19
How very true, so with a smattering of Bolton, Rochdale etc could be great

Ian

j636
26th Dec 2011, 13:25
6 out of the 7 weekly Iberia flights to MAD will drop from a CRJ1000 to a CRJ900. 10 seats per flight lost. From start of the summer schedule.

The96er
26th Dec 2011, 22:47
With low loads, virtually no promotion or marketing and competition from FR/EZY, one wonders how long the Iberia will last - Not long I fear.:rolleyes:

MAN777
29th Dec 2011, 17:13
Interesting snippet with reference to Manchester growth

Regional airports ‘to double in size’ : Manchester Airport News Stories (http://www.uk-airport-news.info/manchester-airport-news-261211.html)

pottwiddler
29th Dec 2011, 17:22
And it says that Durham will go from 3million to 10 million so I think this a wildly inaccurate prediction now that Peel are selling it. Time will tell though...

chaps2011
29th Dec 2011, 17:58
96er
Iberia is a totally different kettle of fish from FR/U2 as most of the
pax are onward to South Amirica or on business so pay a much higher fare
If Iberia were to actually advertise a bit I`m sure they will see results

Ian

jabird
29th Dec 2011, 18:15
And it says that Durham will go from 3million to 10 million so I think this a wildly inaccurate prediction now that Peel are selling it. Time will tell though...

It would be extremely wild to predict MME will get to 3m pax!

Topspotter
29th Dec 2011, 18:18
God what a thought, Tinpot MAN doubling its size, Its pitifull third world infrastructure is causing it fall apart at present that place needs to learn how to be a modern efficent medium size regional before it starts to get all carried away and begins expanding

doublesix
29th Dec 2011, 18:32
Topspotter, having a pop at Manchester Airport again. If as your profile suggests you work in 'ground ops' at 'EMA', ( a poxy little airport owned by Manchester Airports Group), and you don't like the way your employers operate, why don't you not be so hypocritical by taking your monthly pay cheque off them and go and work in the outer hebrides or somewhere please.

Ziggy22
29th Dec 2011, 18:36
Yep topspotter that well known Manc hater, stick with your little rural airport sunshine.

purplehelmet
29th Dec 2011, 18:42
don't feed the troll.
topspotter= simonchowder/kevlarkarl or what ever he calls himself.

roverman
30th Dec 2011, 11:58
Really hard to take the report mentioned in MAN777's post seriously. A similar article on the report was published on The Telegraph website. The source is quoted as being the Department for Transport, who have got forecasts spectacularly wrong before now, but this doesn't even start off with accurate figures. If we are talking the timeframe 2008-2050, which is the only one quoted, where on earth are the 30 million passengers and 321,000 annual movements at MAN? Those are the sort of figures forecast at the Runway 2 Inquiry for 2005 and as we painfully know, have never even been approached. Perhaps someone at the DfT forgot to check what actually happened. But given the similar fantasy figures quoted for other airports, including Plymouth which has or is about to close, I am suspecting that a journo has got this horribly mixed up somewhere along the line. If it were April there might be an explanation.

Jamie2k9
30th Dec 2011, 13:33
Tours - will start 11 Feb instead of 27 March
Palma - will resume on 21 Feb instead of 25 March

Both operate Tue and Sat.

DomyDom
31st Dec 2011, 10:56
Thanks for the post Jamie2K9. It looks like FR are doing well at MAN then. Nice to here some good news.

MKY661
31st Dec 2011, 13:12
Yeah also good news. Heard also the possibility of SVQ starting from MAN, someone on the forum replied to me saying that they are likely to start it.

howard h
31st Dec 2011, 20:31
Can't work out how the number of passengers through airports is going to "double in size" when we have airline taxes and increased queuing time at immigration (take one step forward, T1)?

Instead of automatically flying to near-continent destinations (Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, Basle/Mulhouse) I now look forward to taking the train!

The96er
31st Dec 2011, 21:01
Instead of automatically flying to near-continent destinations (Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, Basle/Mulhouse) I now look forward to taking the train!

Enjoy your 8hr train ride to Amsterdam. I'll take a 1hr flight thanks !! :E

howard h
31st Dec 2011, 21:25
Whoa...1 hr flight, 1hr journey to M/cr airport, 2hr X-in, 1hr through immigration, gawd knows how long in delays adding time on....nah, for short trips the choo-choo wins every time, even if it's just getting up, wandering down to the bar/cafe/toilet to stretch your legs....:ok:

Topspotter
31st Dec 2011, 21:34
Have to agree, its not the flight thats the problem its the third world nausea thats MAN airport thats the problem , far more uplifting to take the civilised option

JSCL
31st Dec 2011, 21:38
howard,

You are a strange person indeed then. I fly to Amsterdam usually twice/month and Brussels usually three times/month - I would NEVER consider getting the train. Brussels to recall my most recent and worst experience - with Flybe (no issue with the Airline at all on this occasion) - it was a smooth 45 minute process from parking to getting through to the gate lounges. Sure there was a queue for security - but there usually is at that time in the morning. Got to Brussels in good time, 30 mins from leaving plane to clearing security at Brussels in peak time also.

Total travel time - probably around 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I'm not going to get that on a 2hr train to London + the 4-5 hour Eurostar, am I?

johnnychips
31st Dec 2011, 22:59
Eurostar St Pancras - Brussels takes about two hours. But you've got the walk/taxi down Euston Rd off the Manchester train, then half an hour check-in. I go from Doncaster-Brussels or Antwerp a lot and the times by train/air are very similar. But if the price is OK I prefer train to MAN then Cityjet to Antwerp as you can be off the plane and outside in five minutes - no exaggeration.

chaps2011
1st Jan 2012, 08:36
Topspotter
Why don`t you take up train spotting and forget aircraft as you are so boring

Ian

mytravela330
1st Jan 2012, 09:38
what airline code is SVQ??

comet 4b623PW
1st Jan 2012, 10:11
SVQ , Airport code for Seville Ryanair op ?

Skipness One Echo
1st Jan 2012, 11:25
Tosspotter actually said exactly the same insult on the 24th so clearly Santa did not bring the longed for thesaurus :(

chaps2011
1st Jan 2012, 12:23
We don`t always agree Skipness but I certainly do your last post

Have a good new year

Ian

roverman
1st Jan 2012, 16:14
Another forum reporting increased frequency for Summer 2012 on KLM - Amsterdam to 7 daily, and Turkish to 10 weekly. Also mentions a growing rumour about AA upgrading to B767-300 on Chicago.

lasernigel
2nd Jan 2012, 10:37
Someone said a few months back, though can't find it now, that United were starting a daily MAN to DUL flight. Been on the timetable and it's not listed. Was this just a rumour??

Also just as a comment, I work for a Silicon valley company, and AA in it's infinite wisdom have stopped the daily morning flight from SJC to ORD, as from Jan 8th. It was always full and normally had standby passengers. No wonder this lot have gone into Chapter 11!!

pwalhx
2nd Jan 2012, 10:44
Don't know where DUL is however they have announced IAD using the same flight number as the former 2nd EWR flight number

lasernigel
2nd Jan 2012, 10:49
Sorry my mistake on code. Still can't find it in the online timetable though.

Ringwayman
2nd Jan 2012, 10:56
Strange. Have gone to the UA website and found it with no problems?

Also found in the news releases on the CO website

chaps2011
2nd Jan 2012, 10:57
It`s bookable on United website in May UA100 the same flt number as used to be
2nd EWR flight

Ian

lasernigel
2nd Jan 2012, 11:26
Thanks. That's just for my annual crabfest visit.

Now need to sort out another way to get to SJC, I hate SFO gets too many intercontinental flights in at the same time of the day. Germans and French don't know the word queue!!

Manchester Kurt
5th Jan 2012, 09:57
Airport website has Decembers figures up.

Rise of 7.78% on year ago.

Moving annual figure now a smidgen below 19M.

scr1
6th Jan 2012, 19:47
Q) EGTT/QFULT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5321N00217W005
B) FROM: 12/01/06 16:54C) TO: 12/01/09 17:00
E) FUEL, INBOUND FLIGHTS ARE ADVISED TO MAXIMISE FUEL UPTAKE AT ORIGIN AD, DUE ENGINEERING FAULT WITH FUEL SUPPLY. AD UNABLE TO ACCEPT DIVERSION ALTERNATES, UNLESS IN EMERGENCY anyone know what is wrong? is it causing many delays?

750XL
8th Jan 2012, 10:17
Q) EGTT/QFULT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5321N00217W005
B) FROM: 12/01/06 16:54C) TO: 12/01/09 17:00
E) FUEL, INBOUND FLIGHTS ARE ADVISED TO MAXIMISE FUEL UPTAKE AT ORIGIN AD, DUE ENGINEERING FAULT WITH FUEL SUPPLY. AD UNABLE TO ACCEPT DIVERSION ALTERNATES, UNLESS IN EMERGENCY anyone know what is wrong? is it causing many delays?

The pump which pumps fuel from Stanlow to the airport has broke, and a spare part can't be sourced until Tuesday at the earliest I hear. The airport is expected to 'run out' of fuel tomorrow, and all fuel will arrive via road until the problem is fixed.

Hamburg 2K8
9th Jan 2012, 17:48
Didn't hear anything about the completion of 23R/05L before Christmas? I take it all was completed on time? I flew to Malaga at 7AM on Christmas Eve with FR and crossing 23R/05L to take off from 23L/05R the LED lights were very bright and looks much better than 23L/05R.

Flying out to Hamburg on LH Friday 20th Jan at 8AM (ish) will this be a CRJ700 or 900? T1 gates 3-9 or 2 or 4?

JackRalston
9th Jan 2012, 19:41
From about 20:00 tonight, looking from my house (Withington) to the north-west I have seen a strange sounding prop aircraft that has been circling over near mine at about 1500/2000ft but for the last 10-15 minutes it has been hovering much further north-westerly around Salford? or town? (or possibly the motorway) and at a much higher altitude, also spotted what looks like another prop circling around that area too. As of now the hovering one is still in the same point and all I can see is one white nav light and a flashing beacon, any ideas what it could be? Certainly doesn't sound like the MD902 or the BN-2 Islander.. :confused:

750XL
9th Jan 2012, 20:30
RAF ZJ782 AS365 Dauphin has been in the Manchester area since 2000z, so I assume this is what you're seeing / hearing

JackRalston
9th Jan 2012, 20:43
Must of been that then, any ideas on the reason for visiting? Was hovering in the same spot for one hell of a long time.

750XL
10th Jan 2012, 10:54
No idea but it's up again doing the same thing today :ok:

ManofMan
10th Jan 2012, 12:52
Not entirely sure you will get many people posting on a public forum what a SAS helicopter is doing...even if the know !!:rolleyes:

Skipness One Echo
10th Jan 2012, 13:12
SAS helicopter is doing...even if the know
Isn't Copenhagen rather a long trek in a helicopter?

JSCL
10th Jan 2012, 13:18
Indeed, it was hovering over north Manchester today and also over the city centre as I looked out of my window.

rampman
10th Jan 2012, 18:21
all i can say is its to do with the olympics in the summer

rampman:ok:

JackRalston
10th Jan 2012, 19:29
rampman cheers

must be some aerial footage for video promos during the Olympics....either that or they are plotting the perfect 'drop off' point from the sky for Boris and Cameron once the Olympics begin so to not embarrass us anymore!

OltonPete
10th Jan 2012, 20:28
Does anyone know if the change in GDS from double daily to ten weekly
is definite or due to some time changes?

For summer 2012 I could only find Sunday, Wednesday and Friday as
double daily.

I know GDS changes can be temporary and it migt be a case that the airline
is just adjusting flight times and configs etc but other than Christmas and
New Year the loads have been variable although I realise cargo has been reported as good.

Pete

chaps2011
10th Jan 2012, 21:44
Yes it`s is due to aircraft shortage and is temporary until winter season
as are a number of other routes.

Ian

ManofMan
11th Jan 2012, 08:33
Seems to dragging its heels now...

Q) EGTT/QFULT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5321N00217W005B) FROM: 12/01/10 22:57C) TO: 12/01/11 17:00E) DUE ENGINEERING FAULT WITH FUEL SUPPLY, INBOUND FLIGHTS AREREQUESTED TO MAXIMISE FUEL UPTAKE AT ORIGIN AERODROMEA0080/12Q) EGTT/QFALT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5321N00217W005B) FROM: 12/01/10 22:42C) TO: 12/01/11 17:00E) AD UNABLE TO ACCEPT DIVERSION ALTERNATES EXCEPT IN AN EMERGENCY

Been like this since last week....we seem to be King of resuing Diversions for one reason or another.

chaps2011
11th Jan 2012, 08:45
It`s not the airports fault, it`s to do with oil pipe line to the airport

Ian

ManofMan
11th Jan 2012, 09:04
I am totally aware its not the airports fault !, just saying we seem to spend an awful lot of time with Notams in place for refusing diversions...for one reason or another.

Topspotter
11th Jan 2012, 14:49
Oh dear, more chaos at Man ,Good job its so quiet at present. I went over there to a meeting yeterday in T1, place is like ghost town, T2 isnt a lot better either, good job they have the monarch and ryanair movements to keep things ticking over.

Whats going on with jet 2? half the fleet appears to be on static display over by the cargo area , makes you realize just what a white elephant the second runway was.

TSR2
11th Jan 2012, 14:57
I went over there to a meeting yeterday in T1

Big deal. Are you after a round of applause?

The96er
11th Jan 2012, 15:07
TSR2 - Topspotter is a wind-up-merchant - don't feed him and he'll get the point.

Homo Simpson
11th Jan 2012, 15:09
Quite clearly someone who has never had a girlfriend!!

DCS99
11th Jan 2012, 15:10
"Whats going on with jet 2? half the fleet appears to be on static display over by the cargo area , makes you realize just what a white elephant the second runway was."

I think that's what they call "Dilbert Logic".

The 2nd runway is most definitely not a white elephant.
We have 3 runways here in Zürich and sometimes we need them all...

purplehelmet
11th Jan 2012, 15:11
[QUOTE=Topspotter;6949356] good job they have the monarch and ryanair movements to keep things ticking over.

Whats going on with jet 2? half the fleet appears to be on static display over by the cargo area ,
oh here we go,your usual snipe at jet2:ugh:. why dont you mention that there were just as many(if not more) thompson,monarch,thomas cook,and 2 ryanair aircraft also parked up on the so called "static display" area??
everyone(except you) knows that a lot of aircraft get parked over the quiet winter period.
for someone who claims to work in the industry you dont know much about it.

newscaster
11th Jan 2012, 15:21
Airblue new routing Islamabad-Istanbul-Manchester service will be from Sabiha Gokcen and not Ataturk Airport.

SWBKCB
11th Jan 2012, 15:51
"UK airport quiet mid-week during January!"

Shock! :eek:

Horror!! :ooh:

The end of the world as we know it!!! :)

Topspotter
12th Jan 2012, 10:41
I am aware things are quiet at this time of year however i vist man a fair bit throughout the year and ive never ever seen the stands on T1 or the terminal so empty.

easyflyer83
12th Jan 2012, 12:00
MAN, like you say, is always quiet this time of year a scene which is replicated at various other UK airports. The place livens up during the peak periods but empty stands and quiet terminals at certain times of the day and at this time of the year is nothing new. Last year for instance whilst waiting for the lunchtime EK there was only one other flight (LH) departing around the same time.

ZB is now in T2, LS have always practically parked much of it's fleet over Winter and Easyjet have incredibly quiet days during mid week at this time of the year.

Suzeman
12th Jan 2012, 12:02
This from today's MEN

Manchester's £650m Airport City master plan unveiled | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/business/s/1470426_manchesters-650m-airport-city-master-plan-unveiled)

Two phases - first to the North of the Passenger Terminal Area which will be made-up of 1.85m sq ft of hotel, office, retail and advanced manufacturing space, all next to Manchester Airport's existing train station. The second will be based over by the Cargo Centre and will focus on freight and logistics uses.

Planning application "within weeks" and work on infrastructure starts in the spring.

All good interesting stuff for a "third world airport". :eek:

Toodle Pip

Suzeman

Topspotter
12th Jan 2012, 12:22
All well and good, only problem is there not doing enough to attract new airlines and punters or keeping the ones they have, even that old man stalwart monarch are moving aircraft away to other bases this year for the first time.

Check Mags On
12th Jan 2012, 13:48
Topspotter.
Why do hate Manchester so much. I am neither a spotter or a Manchester airport fan. I just work there.
Just curious as to why you loathe it so.
Please don't just say it is a third world airport as that is not really a reply.
And having spent time in third world airports. Manchester is not one of them.

Mr A Tis
12th Jan 2012, 14:14
Topspotter. We've read & received your message clearly. Now give it a rest, unless you have anything NEW to say.

mickyman
12th Jan 2012, 14:29
Re Topspotter

This guys a troll - ignore him and he'll go away.....

roverman
12th Jan 2012, 14:45
I wouldn't be too worried about Topspotter's experience, you can always find a quiet spell anywhere except Heathrow. MAN passenger traffic was up in December by between 7.8% and 9% depending on the data source. There are many UK airports which would be very happy to take half of that figure at the moment, or indeed anything positive.

Skipness One Echo
12th Jan 2012, 14:58
Even Heathrow is quiet at this time of year, I watched an Air Canada A330 recently taxi all the way from T3, line up and depart with nothing behind it at the hold waiting ! Just ignore Tosspotter, one musn't feed trolls, they love the attention.

Sounds like a wannabe that got a "no" and had to settle for EMA alas.

MKY661
12th Jan 2012, 18:04
ZB is now in T2, LS have always practically parked much of it's fleet over Winter and Easyjet have incredibly quiet days during mid week at this time of the year.

I know EasyJet now use T1 and mainly Pier B (along with gates 23 & 25 in the morning) but do Jet2 still mainly use B because with both EZY & LS in Pier B, with the odd TCX flight Pier B to me would practically be crampt and full up where the more spacious Pier C would be pretty much empty.

TSR2
12th Jan 2012, 20:12
where the more spacious Pier C would be pretty much empty.

My last three flights with Jet2 have been from Pier C.

Mr.Bloggs
12th Jan 2012, 20:20
Fascinating stuff.

MKY661
12th Jan 2012, 20:20
I barely ever see them there. Except for Gate 21, I have never ever seen a Jet2 737 at Pier C, only 757's but even that is rare every time I use T1 Pier B is just jam packed full of Jet2.

Matnab
12th Jan 2012, 22:09
Hi

Does anybody know why TCX2625 out off SSH has a long delay tonight (Thurs 12th)?

Thanks in advance.

DomyDom
13th Jan 2012, 06:51
Another thread is indicating that Air Asia is susupending flights to Europe. Probably not a bad thing that they didn't start at MAN anyway if this was going to happen anyway.

750XL
13th Jan 2012, 19:40
Hi

Does anybody know why TCX2625 out off SSH has a long delay tonight (Thurs 12th)?

Thanks in advance.

757 (FCLK?) gone tech in SSH and crew ran out of hours. Another 757 (FCLC?) flew out today with a spare part.

OltonPete
13th Jan 2012, 20:44
Nine weekly IST bookable from the end of March with double daily on Friday
and Sundays.

Ten weekly from Monday 28th May with an extra Monday flight added

Only checked one GDS system.

Pete

zfw
14th Jan 2012, 06:53
And finally confirmation of Ryanairs move to T3 in March,should be interesting what EZYs reaction will be?

crewmeal
14th Jan 2012, 07:54
Another thread is indicating that Air Asia is susupending flights to Europe. Probably not a bad thing that they didn't start at MAN anyway if this was going to happen anyway.

Looks like Scoot will pick up the pieces in time. Look out MAN you could be on the list!

Scoot airlines | Singapore Airlines' budget carrier Sydney flights (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/sydney-first-destination-for-singapore-airlines-new-budget-carrier-20111201-1o82t.html)

MKY661
14th Jan 2012, 12:25
And finally confirmation of Ryanairs move to T3 in March,should be interesting what EZYs reaction will be?

They are moving again? They wern't in T2 long, maybe they didnt like it. Next thing you know they will end up being back in T1 because T3 is too small.

TSR2
14th Jan 2012, 13:17
Shorter taxi time to/from T3. Would not be surprised if T3 became exclusive to FR.

The96er
14th Jan 2012, 14:00
Shorter taxi time to/from T3. Would not be surprised if T3 became exclusive to FR.

Unlikely to become exclusive to FR as it's the only terminal with proper domestic arrival facilities to cater for BA and Flybe. Stand availability could become an issue in the short term though.

easyflyer83
14th Jan 2012, 14:36
T3 would never become Ryanair only. Not until at least they have circa 10 based units.

Topspotter
14th Jan 2012, 15:54
Units?? ..What exactly is wrong with using good old plain english ie a aeroplane/aircraft is exactly that, why refer to it as "unit" :confused::confused:

IB4138
14th Jan 2012, 16:23
Bad move.

T3 is the only terminal without IRIS at UK Border. All passports subject to manual swipe and inspection.

Topspotter
14th Jan 2012, 16:28
Cannot see a problem, anyone using MAN should be well use to to delays getting through the airport

Manchester Airport called worst for queuing, security delays – Crain’s Manchester Business (http://www.travel-london.org/manchester-airport-called-worst-for-queuing-security-delays-crains-manchester-business.html)

CabinCrewe
14th Jan 2012, 17:31
Its only "spotters" who dont like the term "units" and thankfully they have their own subforum.... dont they ? :rolleyes: So get with it.

viscount702
14th Jan 2012, 17:59
That report is very old.

Crain's Manchester Business closed some years back

spannersatcx
15th Jan 2012, 09:11
Bad move.

T3 is the only terminal without IRIS at UK Border. All passports subject to manual swipe and inspection.

I arrived in T2 recently and it was not working there all cordoned off!:{

What exactly is wrong with using good old plain english ie a aeroplane/aircraft
Because in good old plain English it is an aeroplane/aircraft not a! :=

easyflyer83
15th Jan 2012, 09:36
I call them aircraft but often when talking about how many aircraft are based somewhere i use units purely from bait as this is usually how it's described within my company. Not that I feel I shoud explain myself but if it really irritates you....... Seek help

Topspotter
15th Jan 2012, 10:44
Plain English Campaign gobbledygook generator (http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/examples/gobbledygook-generator.html)

you may find this handy

CabinCrewe
15th Jan 2012, 11:05
nobody else seems to take issue with it except you, so its a bit odd your offering advice

AircraftOperations
15th Jan 2012, 12:21
Don't get confused between "IRIS" and Facial Recognition "E-Gates". I think MAN has both - although not in every terminal.
As I understand it, IRIS is to be phased out (no new applications accepted I believe).
I also believe that it is UKBA who are responsible for having the machines operational and turned on/off when flights come in. I think UK Airports themselves often get a bit of grief for these machines, when they just host them.

750XL
15th Jan 2012, 15:20
They are moving again? They wern't in T2 long, maybe they didnt like it. Next thing you know they will end up being back in T1 because T3 is too small.

When FR first came back (with no based units) they were offered preferable fees by MAG to use T2 in the quiet period (early evening). Now we have based aircraft they aren't getting those rates anymore and aren't happy with taxi times to and from T2, especially around the C pier bottle neck in the morning hence the move to T3.

Check Mags On
15th Jan 2012, 18:34
At least now everyone knows where Topspotter gets his posts from.

Topspotter
15th Jan 2012, 18:50
Thats hurtfull mags, very very hurtfull:{:{:{ ...in fact im so "hurted" i may never post on here again .

Ziggy22
15th Jan 2012, 19:14
Now that would be nice! :)

Topspotter
15th Jan 2012, 19:16
You certainly know how to twist the knife stardust:\:\

JSCL
15th Jan 2012, 20:05
Allow me to take the knife out safely and replace it with a sharper one.

purplehelmet
15th Jan 2012, 23:22
Allow me to take the knife out safely and replace it with a sharper one.
that would be good jscl, i think we've all had enough of this muppet again. its the same troll that got banned as simonchowder and kevlarkarl a few years back.
he works behind a desk in a recruitment office hiring engineers for monarch, when he's not counting paper clips he post's on here to wind people up. coz someone from wythenshawe nicked his cam book and broke his bino's on a trip to man while'st he was trying to spot how many monarch UNITS were flying compared to how many jet2 UNITS were on display.

Seljuk22
16th Jan 2012, 14:13
From 1st July EK021/022 to be operated by a B777-300. First class offered but without First Class Suites (like the B777-300ER has).

Skipness One Echo
17th Jan 2012, 16:05
Anyone know when SAS launched the following routes from MAN?

I know Bergen is this month and Copenhagen has been going for years but how long have SAS been on Oslo and Stockholm?

Thanks

Swing78
17th Jan 2012, 17:14
I think these were the ones....

Stockholm began 25/10/1992 (SAS1541/2)

Oslo 31/03/1996 (SAS1533/4)

Mark

Suzeman
17th Jan 2012, 18:26
Here is the latest on MAG's future business strategy according to the MEN

Manchester Airports Group could float to fund Stansted bid | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/business/s/1470743_manchester-airports-group-could-float-to-fund-stansted-bid)

If they do acquire somewhere else, let's hope they don't take their eye off the ball of their flagship airport (MAN for the avoidance of doubt :)) like last time.....:sad:

Suzeman

Hamburg 2K8
17th Jan 2012, 19:18
Flying to Hamburg on Friday morning with LH and back with EZY on Sunday.

LH - CRJ900
EZY - A319

Am I correct?

Manchester Kurt
18th Jan 2012, 08:33
Dec 2011 CAA Provisional stats are out..

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data_prov/201112/December_2011_Provisional_Airport_Statistics.pdf

Up 8.8% on snowy Dec 2010 and 6.5% as a whole for 2011.

Hamburg 2K8
18th Jan 2012, 18:43
This must sound like a stupid question to most but I am travelling to HAM this weekend and I'm not checking any luggage in just using my rucksake but as I will have liquids and have nothing to put them in so they are under the required measurement, then can I check this small bag in? I only usually see suitcases being checked in. I have already checked in for my EZY flight on Sunday from HAM to MAN will I have to check in again if I add a bag. I'm travelling Friday from MAN to HAM with LH don't matter this way as they don't charge for checked in baggage.

EuroWings
18th Jan 2012, 18:55
Flying to Hamburg on Friday morning with LH and back with EZY on Sunday.

LH - CRJ900
EZY - A319

Am I correct?

Yes, a Eurowings CRJ900 and an easyJet A319.

This must sound like a stupid question to most but I am travelling to HAM this weekend and I'm not checking any luggage in just using my rucksake but as I will have liquids and have nothing to put them in so they are under the required measurement, then can I check this small bag in? I only usually see suitcases being checked in.

Yes, I think you should be able to if the rucksack is reasonably sturdy. I am unsure about the EZY check in question.

If the liquids are under 100ml then you can buy the regulation liquids bag at MAN and put them in there.

Hamburg 2K8
18th Jan 2012, 19:05
Thank You.

750XL
18th Jan 2012, 19:19
Afaik you can check in whatever size luggage you want (as long as it is under the maximum sizes) but whether or not that's a good idea to is another thing. Loose straps etc don't go well with baggage systems :\

j636
18th Jan 2012, 20:31
MAN rises to 22nd for the bussiest airports in Europe for 2011. Goes ahead of Stansted and Dublin.

Bagso
21st Jan 2012, 08:21
Does anybody have a glimmer of why the airport are advertising heavily on the internet......

28 Flights a Day to ...wait for it LONDON !!!!!!!!

SHED - maybe you can spread some fairydust on the strategy behind this one when a more worthy cause might be Iberia , TAP et al !:ugh:

Bagso
21st Jan 2012, 09:11
MAG Future Strategy

Here is the latest on MAG's future business strategy according to the MEN

Manchester Airports Group could float to fund Stansted bid | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

If they do acquire somewhere else, let's hope they don't take their eye off the ball of their flagship airport (MAN for the avoidance of doubt ) like last time.....

Here Here

...and surely a conflict of interest here as well, unless of coures they close it down and build a housing estate !

The airport management have been magnificent in the last 12 months, I hope they keep it going and concentrate on expanding what is after all the core business "Manchester Airport".

Buying Stansted and encouraging flights to London of all places does neither !

easyflyer83
21st Jan 2012, 10:04
I didn't realise there were 28 flights a day to London but just because it's a shuttle travelling 200 miles down the road it doesn't mean it shouldn't be promoted.

brian_dromey
21st Jan 2012, 12:37
I think it is better for MAG to be involved in the LON market and able to directly influence it than not be there at all. STN has a significant LCC market, but struggles on long-haul. Even there a lot of ground has been lost to LGW and SEN, which compete directly with STN, rather than MAN. Being part of a larger group could being benefits to both STN and MAN, with combined packages, etc being available. Better to be at the table, than out in the cold, as far as I am concerned.

MAN-OPS
21st Jan 2012, 17:04
Manchester Airport have confirmed that Ryanair will move to T3 on 6th March.

Statement:

'This move will utalise some of the spare capacity we have had on T3 since EZY moved to T1 in November whilst also providing Ryanair with
the potential to grow their base here at Manchester.'

A330ETOPS
21st Jan 2012, 18:08
Any idea's what todays delay with Ek18 is?

Seljuk22
21st Jan 2012, 18:40
MAN rises to 22nd for the bussiest airports in Europe for 2011. Goes ahead of Stansted and Dublin.

No 23 - ARN passed MAN. Next year BER (combined traffic of TXL and SXF was 24 million in 2011) will be ahead of MAN but MAN could go ahead of MXP.

newscaster
24th Jan 2012, 12:44
Air Blue are maintaining their ISB-MAN-ISB flights with tech stop most probably at Sabiha Gokcen Airport (previously used Ankara later moved to Trabzon and then back to Ankara), in addition to the new full rights routing via the airport.

: : : airblue : : : flight schedules (http://www.airblue.com/sched/view.asp)

Topspotter
24th Jan 2012, 13:18
Was over at MAN yesterday, noticed they have opened a curry hut in T2 ,which can only be a good thing bearing in mind the current quality of the cuisine available to those lucky travellers using MAN

MAN777
24th Jan 2012, 15:05
My work quite often takes me east usually using Emirates or Qatar but last week a short notice spell of work in Australia resulted in me using BA via LHR.

After a bad experience with BA years ago I vowed never to use them again but on this occasion I had no say in the matter as there were no seats available on EK and the employers thought they were doing me a favour sending me with "my' local carrier:yuk:

The day started fine with a short flight on a very smart A319 shuttle into T5 at LHR, having never used T5 before I looked forward to the experience but alas it was not to be as my onward flight to Sydney was from T3, so I and a large portion of the MAN flight had to wait for a shuttle bus to take us through the bowels of Heathrow to T3, on arrival we waited in a long queue for another security screening and then emerged into a packed T3 lounge, there were no spare seats and all restaurants were heaving, this was not a relaxing environment. As the gate had not been displayed yet I couldn't even wait near there so I resorted to aimlessly wandering the duty free shops until the flight was finally called.

The flight was on a B777 via Singapore, cabin was a bit shabby, food awful and seating cramped, to be honest I couldn't wait to get off for a walk at Singapore, a couple of hours later it was back on for another torture session :mad:

The return 1 week later was on a B747 via Bangkok, better seat this time but VOD didn't work, food was still very poor, this time I came prepared with my own stock of food just in case.

The stop in Bangkok was another absurd fiasco, the whole plane off loaded, walk the entire length of the terminal pier, through security screening again, back down the pier again and 30 mins later back on the aircraft.

12 hours later back at LHR another coach transfer to T5, security screening and the A319 back to MAN.

Altogether a knackering and frustrating journey, I have now renewed my vow to never travel BA through LHR again, Emirates I apologise for the temporary lapse of common sense and will see you and Dubai again next month.:ok:

Skipness One Echo
24th Jan 2012, 15:28
Sorry but why are domestic connecting UK passengers re-screened before being permitted access into T3 airside? That's mental,T5 domestic to Flight Connections T5 doesn't need this so why does T3? Are the busses not closed off?

Shame that a nine abreast BA 777 compared badly in seating with a ten abreast Emirates model, mind you the A380 is way better.

Do Emirates not re-screen passengers connecting through Dubai? So if one beats security in Pakistan, then one is free to board a flight to the UK with unmentionables about one's person? Surely they must?

pwalhx
24th Jan 2012, 17:13
Yes you are re screened in Dubai

MAN777
24th Jan 2012, 17:23
Don't want to get too far of the MAN thread, but I posted my story to highlight why EK are on such a winner from the regions.

At LHR, Yes re-screened on entering T3 Airside from coach transfer.

EK economy has 34 inch seat pitch compared with 31 inch on BA (That extra 3 inches makes a huge difference to my frame)

Yes there is screening during transfer at Dubai but it is so efficient its hardly noticed, also the big plus is its only 2 flights each way instead of 3 flights.

What I would like to add in BAs defence is that the cabin crew (mainly male) were very professional especially the way they dealt with children.

Also the new 1st class cabin looks very nice (don't think I will be using that though ! )

JSCL
24th Jan 2012, 17:36
MAN777, I concur with your experience but with Qatar rather than EK. I travel Qatar quite often to the East and Australia - the 34" on the 777 is really a noticeable different compared with when I normally flew BA out of LHR. The Qatar 330's are a less pleasurable experience however.

But you're right, the whole experience of flying EK or QR out of MAN vs going via LHR is far more appealing.

Skipness One Echo
24th Jan 2012, 21:23
But you're right, the whole experience of flying EK or QR out of MAN vs going via LHR is far more appealing
I completely agree, didn't know the pitch was so much better as well. There's no sense in adding another connection when you're going THAT far. The very impressive figures speak for themselves. The 21st to 23rd A380s for Emirates are in the air and testing......I mean WOW!

A330ETOPS
24th Jan 2012, 21:44
EK are usually much cheaper than anyone else heading East. I wont fly with any other airline. I dont think their inflight service is as good as it used to be (compared to sq). Flying to CGK with them on Tues, EK18. Saves the hassle of going via LHR. I did it last year to save myself £100 (inc shuttle) but never again!

learjet50
24th Jan 2012, 21:49
Comments Ignored

easyflyer83
24th Jan 2012, 23:45
It does of course depend where you want to go and what you are doing. EK to BKK was a good experience, not as polished as i'd envisaged, but good nonetheless. However, when I go to Oz my plan is to visit HKG on the way back. EK, EY and QR were of no use. Hence I will use BA/QF. BA's product isn't as good as either of the above and I'm not expecting it to be but I think some folk are a bit too keen when it comes to bashing BA. They simply haven't had the money or the geographic advantage (other than Transatlantic) that EK and DXB have had respectively.

Later in the year I will also use EY to BKK and their fares were excellent!

I hope that by now everyone accepts that BA does exactly what EK, DL etc do. The problem is indeed that BA to OZ offers 2 stop as opposed to one with middle/far East carriers. Ultimately that isn't BA's fault. Equally you can't blame Joe Bloggs for wanting to go 1 stop. However, psychologically I believe it goes further. It's the short hop down to London that can be the off putting factor. Many would rather just get straight onto the long haul. Secondly theres the anti-London centric factor that many Northerners display (I can sometimes class myself as one) who feel they are being neglected by BA but don't understand how the hub and spoke airline works. And thirdly there is of course price. My flight with all the sectors/destinations that I wanted with BA/QF were cheaper than EK. However I accept, as with my EY flights, the Middle East carrier can be very competitive and of course price is so very important in this industry as we all know.

I also believe that with the leisure travellers and holiday of a life time folk, of which EK carries plenty, EK etc are the new VS. These People are often wowed because they get a complimentary drink and the crew (usually) look the part. The name also has glamour written all over it, increased by recent football sponsorship deals.

In my assessment please don't mistake me as a BA apologist or a fan nor a Middle East basher. I think it's fantastic that the spoke that MAN is can support 7 daily Middle East flights with connections across the globe. I'm quite proud of it in fact when you consider MAN counterparts such as BCN and DUS. I just think that people lay it on thick slightly and go to town when it comes to knocking BA. They aren't always as competitive, they aren't always as convenient and they haven't had the money to splash out like EK has. They do however still have a strong following and a reasonable product. Is it as good as EK? From my own experience i'd say not but it's certainly not dire.

JSCL
24th Jan 2012, 23:53
Whilst on the topic, can anyone advise whose First product is better out of MAN? Flight right through to SYD.

gsky
25th Jan 2012, 12:38
Hi
Cannot really comment on BA First Class
However I recently travelled EK First Class and can tell you it is FIRST CLASS.
Just like it used to be, only better. Superb food, service, amazing AVOD choice & quality, and the showers !! amazing .

Check Mags On
26th Jan 2012, 16:04
Winners 2012 :: Globe Travel Awards 2012 (http://www.globetravelawards.co.uk/globetravelawards2012/winners-2012)

Topspotter
26th Jan 2012, 17:22
Well i have to say, well done man, however jet 2 best short haul??

SWBKCB
26th Jan 2012, 19:21
Worth having a a look at the nominees tag to see what the competition was.

ericlday
26th Jan 2012, 19:30
Best UK Airport
Bristol
East Midlands
Exeter
London Gatwick
London Heathrow
Manchester

ek773
30th Jan 2012, 08:58
Seems that the rapid expansion of EK, EY and QR is starting to have an impact as per below on QR;

QATAR Airways, one of three Middle East carriers operating out of Manchester, is to reduce the number of flights from late March, as it beefs up its Heathrow service.

The Doha-based airline, which currently offers a double daily service from Manchester, is axing four flights a week, amid strong competition from Abu Dhabi's Etihad, which flies double daily too and Dubia carrier Emirates, the most established of the trio at Manchester, which operates three flights a day.

While load factors are understood to be satisfactory, competitive prices on the routes among the three rivals is the key according to sources.

One insider told TheBusinessDesk.com: "There are seven flights a day out of Manchester to Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar, one of which is the A380, and pricing has become very competitive.

"There's a feeling at Qatar can make better yields on other routes in its network."

In a statement, Qatar said it was adding a a fifth daily flight from Heathrow to Doha from March 25.

It added: "Due to operational requirements elsewhere in the airline’s global network, the Manchester to Doha route will be served by 10 flights each week instead of the current 14.

"The rapid global expansion of the airline has made it necessary to reallocate a small proportion of Manchester’s capacity to other points on the network, resulting in a schedule change.

"Passengers booked to fly to and from Manchester after 25 March should expect only minimal disruption and, if affected, will be provided with alternative travel options on other Manchester or London Heathrow services operated by Qatar Airways

Curious Pax
30th Jan 2012, 11:57
The official line is that Qatar are short of aircraft, but will go back to double daily from the end of October, with rumour control suggesting that their new 787s may come into play.

Suzeman
30th Jan 2012, 13:36
More news from the MEN re car-parking charges going up and the latest changes at the top. From the latter article it seems like the continuing churn of people is bad news for EMA

Manchester Airport (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1471838_manchester-airports-sky-high-parking-hike-blasted)

‘Sky’s the limit’ as Manchester Airport gets a new boss in management shake-up | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/business/s/1472343_skys-the-limit-as-manchester-airport-gets-a-new-boss-in-management-shake-up)

Suzeman

roverman
30th Jan 2012, 13:58
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

Not much of a change. Andrew H has been part of the senior team at MAG for a few years and this is just a broadening of his remit. EMA, BOH and HUY make up a fairly small proportion of MAG's total business, and those individual airports retain a General Manager to look after local issues.

JackRalston
31st Jan 2012, 21:58
Confirmed by Qatar that the early morning flight is to be replaced by a 787 from September! :ok:

MKY661
31st Jan 2012, 22:08
Great News!

JSCL
31st Jan 2012, 22:31
Does anyone know if the Qatar 787's will have the full first class offering? Might hold off a planned trip for the end of August to mid-September if it's worth the wait....

ZOOKER
31st Jan 2012, 23:07
MKY661 "Great news!".
Real aircraft, (made of metal), being replaced by equipment made of plastic?

Topspotter
1st Feb 2012, 08:46
Its outrageous isnt it, you would not catch airbus making anything on their "equipment" out of plastic would you, about time we forgot all about this composite nonsense and got back using to proper materials.

Mr A Tis
1st Feb 2012, 08:48
A £1 (or 2 Euro) non-returnable charge to use a baggage trolley at manairport being introduced from April.

Another backward step designed to p**s people off.

If arriving from non euro / GB land guess, yr be scuppered anyway.

source: Granada TV

Topspotter
1st Feb 2012, 08:57
Typical, as if having to use that place isnt bad enough now they shaft you for the privilige of using one of their crappy trolleys.... ah well at least the parking charges are fair and reasonable:rolleyes:
However it is i suppose all part or the MAN experiance.. getting royally reamed at every opportunity

take-off
1st Feb 2012, 09:01
So if i pay a pound and its non- returnable, does that mean i can take said trolley home with me to use the next time?:E

pwalhx
1st Feb 2012, 09:04
And of course Manchester is the only airport to be doing this.

Topspotter
1st Feb 2012, 09:17
Correct they are, the rest refund your money on return of the trolley,... but not at dick turpin international:eek:

UK Airport Charges - APH.com (http://www.aph.com/news/knowbeforeyougo/uk_airport_charges.shtml)

JSCL
1st Feb 2012, 09:20
For how often I use MAN- I never use a trolley. I see very few people using them either. They need to pay for themselves I suppose.

Most people don't bother with them now - too much hassle.

chaps2011
1st Feb 2012, 10:22
Yes most people have bags with wheels now
Most airports are rip off now with big charges for drop off or having to park away from terminal and either walk or get bus which I find far more annoying
especially if weather is bad
Topspotter remember if the likes of Ryanair operate flights, the airport makes no money from them so has to charge that pax for the privalage, so will charge you somewhere it hurts your wallet and at present Manchester has a very good
drop off zone and infact better than most in the UK.
As a post thought I seem to remember the huge number of trolleys that
used to just dissappear and were found miles from the airport dumped

pwalhx
1st Feb 2012, 10:57
Thanks for the link Topspotter which tells me the following airports charge £1 for a baggage trolley - Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds/Bradford and Luton.

There are others that charge but refund.

Trash_Hauler
1st Feb 2012, 13:29
Manchester Airport : Trolley charges - from 10 April 2012 (http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/trolleys)

You can't make this stuff up! This is a barrell of laughs to read!! The bit I like best is that they are spending a MILLION quid on these trollies and that they are FITTED WITH GPS in order that airport "management" can track them to "hot spots" so as they can better distribute their resources!

Hey guess what? I can TELL you where the hotspots are right now...

The Car Park
Departures
Arrivals

Unbelieveable. I am willing to bet they spent a fair wedge to decide to overspend for baggage trollies that quite frankly there is nothing wrong with and really probably don't need replacing in the first place!! Furthermore, they will now have to pay more people to collect the trollies as without a refund, any incentive to return them has been removed!

Best bit of it all though... The airport in their own press release even say that only 5% of passengers actually USE the damned things anyway!!

Topspotter
1st Feb 2012, 13:40
Amazing, could only happen at man, how about spending that cash on making the airport a little more pax friendly like reducing the scandalous parking charges, last time i was over at Turpin International a staff member was telling me their making so much on car parking there even throwing people out of the staff car parks to make way for more lucrative guests

Ive never been to a airport where the staff are so pissed off with the mangement

pwalhx
1st Feb 2012, 13:53
Can only say you don't get around much then.

JackRalston
1st Feb 2012, 14:33
Interesting to see that this morning you said the parking charges are "fair and reasonable" and now you decide they are "scandalous". Even I think the parking charges aren't that bad, you really need to start widening your channel of thought when it comes to all this. It's like when the Runway Viewing Park increased the prices and people said it was unjustifiable to do so. Well, how else can they pay for all the improvements to the surfaces in that area, the project to safely move the newts, the costs at maintaining the Concorde hangar etc.

Money cannot be spent on improvements unless the money is actually generated in the first place. It is better to increase the charge in something to generate money for a bigger project to benefit the area in the long-term, rather than, don't increase any charges and just use whatever money we have to 'seal the leaks'.

Topspotter
1st Feb 2012, 14:41
If you look old chap to the right of where i wrote fair and reasonable you will, if you look very very hard notice a little icon thats rolling his eyes, now go to the icon index and look what a icon with rolling eyes denotes .... :uhoh::uhoh: .....you must be cutting yourself constantly jack

roverman
1st Feb 2012, 15:17
I think we have to consider this in the context of what is happening in the air transport industry as a whole. In charging for trolleys MAN is only following a trend towards transparency of charging - you pay for what you use, and if you don't use it you don't pay for it. That - we are told - is what the customer wants. It is certainly the way the lo-co airlines work - with increasingly complex schedules of charges for what we once assumed to be included in the fare.

MAN was carpeted by some critics for years because it didn't run with the lo-co trend, but now I guess something like 50% of MAN's traffic is loco. Lo-cos and their passengers want cheap charges / fares, but the cost of running an airport doesn't come down accordingly. A runway / taxiway / ATCO / Fire Service costs the same whether they are being used by Lufthansa, or Ryanair. To be able to offer the sort of basic charging scale 'demanded' by today's customer, airports will have to look at where they can claw back some revenues through selective charging for 'extras' like trolleys. In the end it is the customer who has chosen this trend, or has been led to expect that air travel really can be cheap (I don't think it can be sustained). We can go back to high charges which cover everything, but will the travelling public be ready to pay the corresponding fares? Take your choice.

Suzeman
1st Feb 2012, 16:03
Here's the MEN take on it

Holidaymakers charged £1 to use Manchester airport trolleys - and from April they won't get it back | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1472606_holidaymakers-charged-1-to-use-manchester-airport-trolleys---and-from-april-they-wont-get-it-back)

Always entertaining to read the comments. I expect Topspotter is on there somewhere in another guise :eek:

Interesting that the trolleys are to be fitted with GPS. I look forward to an app, so we can all watch where they are.:cool: :8 But no doubt that would cost too:{

Suzeman

jubilee
1st Feb 2012, 16:12
jscl post No. 3184

Qatar 787 will be two class according to airport news.
Jubilee

Topspotter
1st Feb 2012, 16:26
That no doubt will be the next scam at dick turpin international, charging for wi fi

take-off
1st Feb 2012, 17:03
Top spotter , don't give them any more ideas for charging for stuff. As for the price increase in the viewing park's up keep, well they need to spend some money on the pot holes that have appeared in the car park, that wouldn't look out of place in a war zone.:eek:

roverman
1st Feb 2012, 18:44
"And Qatar Airways will make London its first destination outside of the Gulf to see a daily route with the aircraft. " - quote taken from more than one travel website.

You can read this in two ways - London will be the first 787 destination outside the Gulf,( i.e. it won't be MAN), or the first to see a daily 787 service - i.e. MAN might be first destination outside the Gulf but 787s mixed with A330s at first.

Who knows? It would be nice for MAN to be the first, but inevitably airlines will tend to launch high-profile events at high-profile places. London will grab more attention than Manchester. I'm sure DOH-MAN will see a 787 fairly soon, it will give QR something to pitch against Emirates' A380.

Fairdealfrank
1st Feb 2012, 18:53
Charging for trolleys and plastic bags....have they got Michael O'Leary on the MAG board?

Betablockeruk
1st Feb 2012, 19:39
Charging for trolleys and plastic bags....have they got Michael O'Leary on the MAG board?

Nearly. Ex Ryanair commercial director Ken O'Toole joined MAG as chief commercial officer in Oct 11.

enjoyflying
1st Feb 2012, 19:45
What next? Remove a few seats and have standing waiting areas or a charge for using the toilets! Lol :hmm:

chaps2011
1st Feb 2012, 19:51
We have had to pay for years at railway station to use toilets

JackRalston
1st Feb 2012, 21:49
Topspotter has been banned? :D

chiglet
1st Feb 2012, 22:22
Twenty years ago, I had to pay Aus$2 to get a baggage trolley at Brisbane. They had a money changer airside for us furriners.

StoneyBridge Radar
1st Feb 2012, 22:25
Topspotter has been banned?

Hallelujah Chorus Nuns - YouTube

Perhaps the threads can return to decent, focussed, adult discussion now. :D

I'm not sure what the fuss is over paying for trolleys, to be honest.

On recent travels, I've seen similar at various airports, including some where I could even swipe my credit card to pay. :eek:

If revenues are falling from the airlines, it has to be sourced from elsewhere, and what better or easier source than a captive audience; the humble passenger?

Rgds

crewmeal
2nd Feb 2012, 05:24
All these comments are similar to the ones posted on the BHX thread. They have been charging for trolleys for ages now. Watch out the next rip off will be car parking in the short term park 10 mins for a £1 then around £1 a minute afterwards.

I've said it once, I'll say it again, there is no pleasure in flying these days when you start or finish your journey at these rip off airports. What's next? oh yes APD up to by nearly 10% from April.

StoneyBridge Radar
2nd Feb 2012, 09:31
I remain unconvinced that this is a rip-off, and for people to single out MAN as the Dick Turpin of airports really shows their level of, or lack of, knowledge.

Rover wrote an excellent contribution earlier, and little more can be added.

Truth be told, unless you are heading off to certain specific destinations with your 4 cases, a widescreen TV, a VW diesel engine and gifts for your extended family, how often does the average passenger honestly require a trolley?

roverman
2nd Feb 2012, 10:19
On the subject of charges, I've just been to my dentist who was full of praise for MAN's valet parking service, which he said was excellent value at £30 for a weekend - cheaper than the return taxi fare from his home, and 'very courteous and efficient' too.

larry the man
2nd Feb 2012, 10:47
Charging for trolleys is happening at more and more airports in Europe and the UK, what's the big deal, the airports make less from the airlines and need to make up the shortfall in other ways.

PAXboy
2nd Feb 2012, 10:49
In the article I read was this quote:
“Gone are the days of using trolleys, carparks and bags for free. Ticket prices don’t cover the costs of maintenance or running of the airport anymore. People don’t realise that as air travel costs decline, it means that the costs have to be covered elsewhere.”That is the simple truth and pax mustn't forget that '£70 rtn to AMS' is not realistic. Airports are not cheap to run and must get the money back from parking, the fees paid by the food hall shops and so on.

Suzeman
2nd Feb 2012, 11:37
I think much of the criticism may come from some of us who have been travelling for many, many years and have been used to having all these "extras" for free, albeit at the cost of higher tickets.

That perception sticks, so you see all these additional charges as a rip off. In fact the cost of your ticket has almost certainly gone down (unlike the price of a pint :*) and as Roverman said, you now only pay for what you use.

The airlines have been very keen on the transparency concept for some time when discussing airport charges and the airport has been forced to disclose all its income and expenditure streams to them when it was fully regulated by those nice people from the CAA.

If you don't like it, next time you buy a case, get one with wheels....

Suzeman

ROSUN
2nd Feb 2012, 14:42
Just seems to me like penny pinching.
I don't use the trolley when I'm travelling alone but when with the family (4 kids + Mrs. Rosun) these things are a godsend. Pile the cases on the trolley and it leaves you with one hand with which to control the offspring.
Presumably MAG will be removing the advertising boards from the trolleys now that the punter is funding their purchase and upkeep.

nigel osborne
2nd Feb 2012, 15:40
Yes Birmingham and lots of other airports already charging for trolleys.With the recession, increased APD,Enviroment tax etc, sadly airports are having to charge for more stuff,annoying but inevitable.

At Birmingham Airport its only 75 metres from the drop off point to the terminal,so we just wheel our own suitcases.

Nigel

Mr.Bloggs
2nd Feb 2012, 16:15
A very boring thread. Not a single pilot can be writing about trolleys, can they? Oh well.........airport road signs next, I guess. Or terminal 3 litter bins....

Jamie2k9
2nd Feb 2012, 17:12
Brussels CRL increases from daily to 11 weekly (CRL aircraft)
Milan BGY reduces from daily to 6 weekly

MKY661
2nd Feb 2012, 18:33
When we fly from MAN we have about 3-4 cases and we don't use the trolleys. We just walk with them from the long stay car park to the check-in desk. Besides last time we used one we had to have to put in £1 anyway. we got it back like.

MAN777
2nd Feb 2012, 19:16
Pax – 1,141,293 up 4.59%

Movements – 11,573 down 0.38%

12 months ending 31.01.12 Pax - 18,862,484 up 6.36%

750XL
2nd Feb 2012, 19:21
Brussels CRL increases from daily to 11 weekly (CRL aircraft)
Interesting to see FR increase Charleroi

Along with FMM and RYG, CRL seems to to be in the bottom 3 of consecutively low loads

JSCL
2nd Feb 2012, 19:41
I suggests Brussels as a whole is at over capacity. Have been travelling peak times with BE and SN for some time now, rarely see a full ac, normally on the 50-70% loads.

So, surprising to see FR's increases...

Manchester Kurt
3rd Feb 2012, 12:51
According to this (http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/alldocs/134074987130B28080257998005D8C75/$File/January+12.pdf) total passengers, including transit, are now back over 19m at 19,040,962.

MAN777
3rd Feb 2012, 12:59
Just in case anyone from MAG is reading this can I just make sure you have seen the weather forecast for the weekend. I don't want to see any excuses about "being caught out" by unexpected snowfall. You have a full 24 hours to get your act together:rolleyes::ok:

LN-KGL
3rd Feb 2012, 13:46
Saturday isn't the worst day of the week, MAN777. The snow sets in noonish but it would not last long until it comes down as already shoveled.

ManofMan
3rd Feb 2012, 15:47
Do you mean like EHAM did today, they had notice and still managed to go SNOCLO, regardless of the notice it's dependent on the volume of the White stuff....disruption is always very near when snow is about...ask the KLM tripple pilot who was told this afternoon that he was number "59" for takeoff !!!

Johnny F@rt Pants
3rd Feb 2012, 17:17
TAF EGCC 031658Z 0318/0424 VRB03KT 9999 SCT040 PROB30 0321/0412 8000 BECMG 0409/0412 17012KT BECMG 0412/0415 7000 -RASN BKN010 TEMPO 0412/0420 2000 SN BKN004 PROB30 TEMPO 0412/0415 FZRA PROB30 TEMPO 0415/0419 0600 +SN FZRA BKN001 BECMG 0421/0424 NSW SCT025 PROB40 0421/0424 0300 FG FZFG VV///=

With 600 metres in heavy snow along with freezing rain, I can guarantee you one thing, disruption. No airport in the world would continue to operate normally in those conditions, so if you're caught up in it, have some patience, you're not going anywhere because it's not safe to work at the flat out pace we do when the weather's in it's normal range.

MAN777
3rd Feb 2012, 17:29
I Know, I Know, that snow causes problems but the trouble is that not too long ago MAN was caught with its pants down with not enough staff to drive the equipment and the airport remained closed for hours longer than it should have (remember the bad press)

When the snow does stop falling it helps matters enormously if you have the capability to remove it.

That is why my "tongue in cheek" post was made :)

To all Ops staff at MAN good luck and keep up the good work, I will be watching from my armchair !

Cheers

CabinCrew747
3rd Feb 2012, 18:46
Looks like Ryanair are launching BUD on the 18th February 3 x weekly (Tue, Thur, Sat)

AircraftOperations
3rd Feb 2012, 22:10
Related to Malev going under, or just coincidence?

european130
4th Feb 2012, 16:33
Watching on flight radar a BMI 320 and MON A300 in the hold over Buxton, at 16 and 17 thousand. Latest METAR shows snow closed with freezing rain. BHX and LBA both still open and showing snow

european130
4th Feb 2012, 16:37
As soon as i posted the thread the BMI has started his approach, held for over 20 mins so probably a sweep of the runway to give better breaking action......:)

one post only!
4th Feb 2012, 16:50
I hope you mean braking action!!!! I think the point of holding was to avoid any breaking action!!!

european130
4th Feb 2012, 17:13
Well said.... typo on my part. Taking diversions now FR DUB/EMA just diverting in, and looks like Jet2 AGP/LBA is about to do the same leaving the hold for Leeds..

LBIA
4th Feb 2012, 18:32
Manchester is snow closed again. But this time for 2 hours along with Leeds, Birmingham & East Midlands Airports.

Manchester are estimating to be reopen at 21:00 and it looks like most flights are diverting into Liverpool.

MKY661
4th Feb 2012, 20:06
Looks like MAN hass reopened now flights now showing to come in on Flightradar24. some flights which landed at LPL havs taken off and gone back to MAN.

chaps2011
4th Feb 2012, 20:06
Snow on top of freezing rain not pretty! very slippery near where I live

Ian B

750XL
5th Feb 2012, 04:09
Congrats to MAN for mostly keeping on top of the weather last night, and even accepting a few diversions in the process. Horrible conditions with very wet / slushy snow, but the snow clearing teams seemed to have a strong plan and strategy to keep the runway and main taxiways clear which evidently paid off with only two hours SNOCLO in the end.

Now sleep after a snowy shift from hell :E

spottilludrop
5th Feb 2012, 16:57
Agreed, top effort by MAN, as usual showing the way

backtrack_32
7th Feb 2012, 21:44
Hi, I know I could probably find this out browsing on the internet, but can any one please tell me who the handling agents are at Manchester?

Thanks in advance.

The96er
7th Feb 2012, 21:49
Hi, I know I could probably find this out browsing on the internet, but can any one please tell me who the handling agents are at Manchester?

Thanks in advance.

Servisair
Swissport
Menzies
Flight Support

backtrack_32
7th Feb 2012, 21:53
Thanks again!

750XL
8th Feb 2012, 01:47
Also Premier Handling (for above wing stuff at least).

and maybe Ocean Sky if I'm to be an arse

Suzeman
8th Feb 2012, 18:05
It would appear that the Concorde in the Viewing Park is really made of paper from the headline of this article :}

Charity auction for Valentine’s date on (stationery) Concorde : Manchester Airport News Stories (http://www.uk-airport-news.info/manchester-airport-news-080212.html)

Suzeman

Zippy Monster
8th Feb 2012, 20:35
Swiss MAN-BSL ceases as of 21 May.

Sounds like the aircraft is being used to operate other services currently operated by BMI codeshare/wet-lease.

Source (http://www.swiss.com/agent_news/en/Documents/Divers/20120207_MME_BSL_Anpassungen_final.pdf) (pdf)

OltonPete
8th Feb 2012, 21:24
SN operating Swiss flights and could this add more fuel to the fire that flybe will be operating SN flights?

Very difficult to follow the SN fleet movement with RJ85's going and A319/320's arriving but stranger things have happened.

Manchester of course already have flybe on Brussels and no mention of any changes to this arrangement

Pete

Suzeman
9th Feb 2012, 14:58
More on the acquisition strategy of MAG from today's MEN

MAG could consider other acquisitions if it fails to buy Stansted. | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/business/s/1482578_mag-could-consider-other-acquisitions-if-it-fails-to-buy-stansted)

If they don't get STN, then they will look into Europe and elsewhere abroad for an airport of roughly MAN's size......

Interesting that this strategy "involves the 10 Greater Manchester councils diluting their stakes in the group....The MEN understands the local authorities will be asked to approve plans to press ahead with the move in the next few weeks. Manchester city council currently owns 55 per cent of MAG, with the other nine councils holding five per cent each. It is understood Manchester city council would remain a majority shareholder under any new structure being considered".

Wonder how the local authorities will react to this considering they make a few useful quid from their ownership of the airport - probably even more needed in these straitened times?

Suzeman