PDA

View Full Version : MANCHESTER - 7

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

virgin_cc_wannabe
3rd Feb 2009, 06:19
Turin, just do us all a favour and give it a rest!

ManofMan
3rd Feb 2009, 08:40
Why abroad for 380 divert? Can't PWK handle them, one of the longest r/ways in the country

Palwaukee Municipal Airport
IATA: PWK

Bloody long way to go IMHO :8

AircraftOperations
3rd Feb 2009, 11:07
If PWK is meant to mean PIK, then its runway isn't longer than those at MAN, as far as I'm aware. Other airports like DSA, MSE, and EMA all have reasonable length runways. But it's not usually down to runway length in order for the A380 to be received. A lot more factors are involved.

Plus PIK is further flying from LHR if the aircraft is inbound to LHR from the South or South East.

al446
3rd Feb 2009, 11:08
Sorry guys, meant PIK, EGPK.

TURIN
3rd Feb 2009, 13:59
just do us all a favour and give it a rest!

I think that was the point I was trying to make in the first place. :ugh::E

MUFC_fan
3rd Feb 2009, 14:19
Air Europa are going to launch twice daily flights to LGW from MAD in May with the E195.

Would MAN not have been better? They have a great size aircraft for the route and I am sure there would be demand there but once again MAN is overlooked for LON.:*

Ametyst2
3rd Feb 2009, 15:28
Perhaps Air Europa did not want to go up against the easyJet and Ryanair flights that operate from Liverpool to Madrid.

globetrotter79
3rd Feb 2009, 16:55
I wouldn't view AEA starting LGW-MAD as such a negative for Manchester. Lets be honest: in the current economic climate it was really rather unlikely that they'd have done MAN anyway regardless of any plans that they might have elsewhere.

As I see it, if they can make a decent go of the LGW-MAD then this ought really play into Manchester's favour as I'd view it a pretty clear cut choice as to what ought to be the destination for a second route into the UK from MAD once the Gatwick is running well.

Shed-on-a-Pole
3rd Feb 2009, 19:10
Quite right, globetrotter79. And by launching LGW-MAD Air Europa is clearly demonstrating that it is not afraid to "go up against" competing services (in this case from the London area). Therefore - further down the line - I do not see why the existence of MAD flights from LPL would put them off serving MAN. The catchment areas of LPL and MAN have a degree of overlap both geographically and economically, but they are far from identical. There is no reason why services to a prominent EC capital cannot succeed from both.

Flightrider
3rd Feb 2009, 19:28
Although the plan may be more about providing feeder traffic to South America services than point-to-point Madrid traffic - in which case the expat communities from London are rather stronger than Manchester.

mickyman
3rd Feb 2009, 20:29
Shed...

'There is no reason why services to a prominent EC capital cannot succeed from both.'

Other than it has never succeeded up until this point (2009)
from MAN or we would have a service wouldnt we........please follow this
logic...you are boring the pants off with this innane
silly season 'Im important and what I say is' kind of attitude.

Still .........the lighter nights are coming and they may let you out.

MM

airhumberside
3rd Feb 2009, 20:33
Air Europa currently codeshare on Air Comet's LGW-MAD so they are already established in the market and will now be flying these passengers themselves rather than sending them on another airline

MUFC_fan
3rd Feb 2009, 20:33
Perhaps Air Europa did not want to go up against the easyJet and Ryanair flights that operate from Liverpool to Madrid.

But want to go in DIRECT competition with easyJet and BA?

I do understand that MAN is not the attraction that LON is but Oneworld have EU-South America pretty much covered.

jongeman
3rd Feb 2009, 21:46
mickyman....

Please think before you post. Thanks

mickyman
3rd Feb 2009, 22:09
jongeman

Fair comment!

MM

Shed-on-a-Pole
4th Feb 2009, 01:58
Mickyman,

I am not going to be drawn into an "inane" name-calling exchange. You can play that game all by yourself if you would like to.

However, I invite you to take up your central argument with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines who will in the near future launch a scheduled service between LPL and AMS. These flights will operate at timings which offer parallel services between MAN and AMS by the same company. Why would they do this if they could not envisage the successful and profitable operation of services from both airports? Like it or not - and we understand that you don't - the catchment areas of MAN and LPL are not the same despite the element of overlap. It is entirely reasonable to run scheduled flights from both cities to major EC gateways.

I am sorry if my attitude is not to your liking, but I have to admit I don't think much of yours either. If you wish to debate relevant issues on a board such as this you will find that respect for other contributors is always appreciated, regardless of different opinions expressed on the issue-du-jour.

SHED.

TartinTon
4th Feb 2009, 07:58
The problem with comparing what KLM does with Easy is that they are after different groups of passengers. KLM is looking to feed its waves of longhaul departures whereas Easy relies solely on point-to-point traffic. This is why KLM is rarely competitive with Easys lowest fares. They don't want to sell seats at £5 plus tax whereas Easy relies on volume to sell all the ancillaries that help the flight to at least break even. KLM will, however, sell at less for a LPL-AMS-HKG through flight than for a AMS-HKG single sector if the AMS-HKG sector needs support. It's why they practise what's called Origin and Destination (O&D) Revenue Management. It allows them to weigh up the probability of selling a seat from LPL - AMS - HKG/JFK/NRT/LAX etc etc etc and attach a revenue amount to it against the probability of selling a LPL-AMS sector as a stand alone. Easy is simply weighing the probability of selling a seat in the next highest/lowest revenue class against where they are currently selling.

Shed-on-a-Pole
4th Feb 2009, 08:14
TartinTon,

I agree completely with your points. However, my posting was directly comparing the new KLM service (wef March 2009) from Liverpool with the similar KLM service from Manchester to illustrate a specific point. Namely, that if the two airports had identical catchment areas it would be pointless to operate parallel flights from the two. My contention is that it makes sense to do so because the airports' catchment areas differ despite the element of overlap. I accept your points that EZY from LPL and BMI (Baby) from MAN will attract different market segments than KLM. Thus I am putting the case that it is entirely possible for major EC gateways to be served successfully from both cities (this is the contention which Mickyman appears to find ridiculous).

All the best.

SHED.

Suzeman
4th Feb 2009, 08:46
Just to change the subject, I understand that despite a couple of inches of snow on Monday, there was no complete snow closure and the airport kept going all the time, accepting diversions from the South East as well as LPL, BHX and CDF.

So well done to the Ops Team to keep the place operational. :ok: (and no I don't work there).

Nice to spread some good news for once instead of all this bickering that we have had recently on this thread.

Suzeman

MARK9263
4th Feb 2009, 09:26
I completely agreed they did do a fantastic job.Well done..:ok:

StoneyBridge Radar
4th Feb 2009, 10:16
Just off at a slight tangent, but seeing as KLM and LPL was brought up in the discussion, the route is unavailable after Oct24th. Staff at MAN are under the impression that the whole winter network schedule has been loaded, so is it going to be a one season wonder?

Ametyst2
4th Feb 2009, 11:50
KLM are having an official launch of the Liverpool to Amsterdam service at a civic ceremony in Liverpool Town Hall next Monday. The airline will be continuing the service beyond October and are particularly pleased with advanced bookings particularly inbound to Liverpool.

BHX5DME
4th Feb 2009, 12:29
Pax - 1,203,647 down 10.63% (or 143k pax on Jan 08)
Movements - 13,042 down 15.60% (or 2,400 down on Jan 08)
Freight - 12,216 down 42.13 %
:(

StoneyBridge Radar
4th Feb 2009, 13:36
The airline will be continuing the service beyond October and are particularly pleased with advanced bookings particularly inbound to Liverpool.

Thanks. Is there an official source for this, as it differs from what I've been advised. :confused:

Regards

Ametyst2
4th Feb 2009, 13:38
Yes, the official source was from a meeting I attended with KLM officials last week

Keyvon
4th Feb 2009, 14:46
easyJet has added Dalaman, Turkey from Manchester. 3 times weekly from 6th Aug.

mickyman
4th Feb 2009, 15:19
Shed

You are missing the point.A spotters 'wisdom' is not
used by airlines looking at new services - I hope!
If a service exists then it is a success unless it is
terminated.Several airlines have tried to operate
to Madrid from Manchester and have failed.
The only airline in the current climate that might sustain this
route would be Easyjet - but they fly from Liverpool.
KLM are indeed starting Liverpool / Amsterdam for
the very reasons that have been stated.Lets just
see how long it lasts........I have heard whispers....

MM

chiglet
4th Feb 2009, 15:53
mickyman,

Several airlines have tried to operate
to Madrid from Manchester and have failed.

Quite true, but why did they fail?
BA (B737)...80% load
BA[R] (Ba146).. 80% load
IBE (CRJ) .....90% load
Even my cat could make a profit with those figures....

A spotters 'wisdom' is not
used by airlines looking at new services
Calling shed a "Spotter" is like calling Crufts Champion a mutt :=
He is one of the most erudite, professional and knowledgeable people I know..[sorry shed] so I must spring to his defence.
watp,iktch

Skipness One Echo
4th Feb 2009, 16:28
Quite true, but why did they fail?
BA (B737)...80% load
BA[R] (Ba146).. 80% load
IBE (CRJ) .....90% load
Even my cat could make a profit with those figures....

Well obviously they got tired of all those Manchester profits OR the yield wasn't great and they went elsewhere.....

Give your pussy a go and see how far you get....

pwalhx
4th Feb 2009, 17:04
The obvious answer is Easyjet could probably make a god of Madrid from Manchester but wont as they already operate from Liverpool.

Don't shoot me in flames for saying this but at one time I am sure I read somewhere that approaching 50% of the users of LPL came from Greater Manchester

Ametyst2
4th Feb 2009, 17:42
I was at a presentation before Christmas and they quoted CAA figures that stated that 18% of Liverpool's traffic was from Greater Manchester. they also gave figures for Cheshire, Lancashire, North Wales et al. I will try and dig the figures out and post them here.

mickyman
4th Feb 2009, 18:24
Chiglet re:The shed

'tis a pity he does not translate well onto PPrune then
if your description is true - or is he over you in a
management position perhaps.

I thank the one or two contributors who have backed
my comments up.

MM

warringtonian
4th Feb 2009, 21:06
Let's be optimistic about the LJLA - AMS KLM service mickyman, it takes time to build a new route and this is pretty much unchartered territory for them.:) Very good news today about Maersk moving their UK HQ from London to Liverpool, it is that kind of private sector growth in the region that will help provide the impetus for new routes like this and should also help with MAN's business traffic as well.

(How do you quote to reply?....? )

Vuelo
4th Feb 2009, 21:34
EZY announce MAN-DLM

Mouser
4th Feb 2009, 22:50
Vuelo, this is fantastic news for Manchester things are really looking up.

conflier
4th Feb 2009, 23:38
I think I heared a wisper that 25% of MAN pasengers came frome liverpool. Rumors are great;)

Vuelo
5th Feb 2009, 12:04
More EZY routes to come, from non based a/c.

chiglet
5th Feb 2009, 15:48
Micky,
No shed is NOT management, nor over me, tho' he can get a tiny bit pedantic at times....:ok:

Vuelo
5th Feb 2009, 18:01
Is he the sexy guy that runs WW?

GOAROUNDMAN
5th Feb 2009, 21:58
Surprised nobody noticed this is:

Third runway at Heathrow would prevent expansion at regional airports (http://www.nce.co.uk/news/2009/01/third_runway_at_heathrow_would_prevent_expansion_at_regional _airports.html)

Third Heathrow runway would scupper Stansted and Glasgow expansion - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5601100.ece)

parky747
6th Feb 2009, 07:12
Is there still further capacity in the MAN schedules for more routes when the third a/c arrives?
Is MAN to have 1x319 + 2x320 by AUG 09?

viscount702
6th Feb 2009, 12:34
I understand it will be 3x320 from August.

With the recent announcement of DLM there is no capacity left from these three based aircraft.

Ringwayman
6th Feb 2009, 21:45
"More routes" will probably come in the shape of Grenoble and/or Innsbruck replacing Corfu, Dalaman and Bastia for the winter.

comet 4b623PW
6th Feb 2009, 22:33
Reported in today's (Friday) Manchester Evening News in The Business Diary section is the following.

"MANCHESTER Airport chief's, along with bosses of Marketing Manchester and the city's inward investment agency MIDAS, found themselves frozen out by the weather. They had to postpone talks over direct flights with an Asian airline,s representatives because the visiting delegation was unable to land at Heathrow during the blizzards. Now if ever there WAS a case for direct flights to Manchester....."

I could not find the above article on the MEN ,s website. Has any body got any insight as to which Asian airline the article is referring.

globetrotter79
6th Feb 2009, 23:00
I thought China Airlines had been rumoured??

virgin_cc_wannabe
7th Feb 2009, 02:35
It will certainly be interesting to see who this asian airline is.

The more the merrier at MAN, hopefully its a far eastern airline, such as air china or china eastern etc.

nilcostoptionmyass
7th Feb 2009, 06:49
It is the worst airport I have ever had the displeasure to visit, have the managers ever actually walked around the terminal, nothing works,lifts,escalators are never turned on, constant pre-emtive threatening pa's banging on about how your luggage will be destroyed etc,arriving in the domestic you will threated by the "re-entry is NOT allowed", having put ridiculous automatic triple exit doors which do nothing but hinder your exit with bags, there is still a bloke the other side of the doors ! The place is a disgrace

parky747
7th Feb 2009, 06:57
easy answer nilcostoptionmyass, dont go to MAN then, we dont want folk like you talking the place down, you aint a clue fella

The Scarlet Pimpernel
7th Feb 2009, 09:18
Sorry Parky, but Nilco's certainly got a point. I work at the airport day in, day out and whoever decided to put those sodding doors exiting arrivals needs shooting. The amount of people who get stuck in there is comical (not if you're claustrophobic). Where else do you have to negotiate this ridiculous system?? And to top it off, they've still got some poor sod sat there to stop people going the wrong way.

Don't get me started on the travellators......:uhoh:

dont go to MAN then, we dont want folk like you talking the place down

Not really necessary....:=

GayFriendly
7th Feb 2009, 09:35
I flew through MAN for the first time in Dec, into T1. Agreed the place is VERY tatty, indeed it has the feel of a building that has been condemned. But what is important to me as a passenger is how easy my journey is through an airport, in terms of ease and efficiency. MAN surpassed my expectations on both. I disembarked from a full EY 330 and was through Passport Control and rattling my way to Piccadilly on the train within 30 minutes of landing (I did only have handbaggage with me to be fair). As far as i'm concerned thats a lot better than some much smaller airports in the UK i've flown into. On my way back, in Jan, I checked in online so whizzed through security and was in the holding lounge for the flight to Abu Dhabi within 20 mins of getting to T1, there was a scrum on the way as TOM were boarding a BGI flight, confused punters everywhere, but nothing worse than I have experienced in other airports.

I see there is a lot of negativity about MAN from both pax and workers alike on this forum, OK so I have only flown through once but top marks for friendly staff and a pleasant airport experience. My only complaint is that EY do not fly to BHX which is much closer to where I live!! :ok:

learjet50
7th Feb 2009, 11:12
Hi There

You said in your last thread you flew from T1 and you were delayed by a TOM Flight to BGI..

TOM fly from T2 ???

EY fly from T1

Leave it with you ??

Hamburg 2K8
7th Feb 2009, 12:22
Has the work in T1 been completed now? It can't still be tatty if new work has taken place surley?! I haven't been through T1 since 15th December and it didn't look to good after security but I have seen worse in the UK. Arriavls was in a state then, have things finished here too? When is Pier B being re-bulit? I think Pier C needs work doing to it, e.g. like being re-bulit too.

steve platt
7th Feb 2009, 13:22
Kenyan in talks to do twice weekly scheds.
American starting bos, jfk soon as well as upgrading ord to daily.
Saudia apparently starting a direct wed flight to complement there other flights.
The un-named asian carrier in talks is we think air asia x.

Kenyan 737-8 delivery flight on fri 13/02. 5ykyf. No times yet.
A380 due in very soon to do trials.

2009 suddenly isnt looking too bad.....

Skipness One Echo
7th Feb 2009, 13:52
American starting bos, jfk soon as well as upgrading ord to daily.

Spotters w*ankfest is that. Hurtling into recession at top speed and American decide to launch two new transatlantic routes into Manchester for Summer 2009? Good that Chicago goes back to daily, thank goodness.

We are SEVEN weeks from the summer scheds chaps, there's NOUGHT on sale yet....think it through.

A380 due in very soon to do trials

What for? Thought that had been done. Do you really see Emirates putting the A380 through Manch?

Ian Brooks
7th Feb 2009, 14:07
We have not had an A380 in yet so can the trials have been done, Manchester is a diversion airfield for most if not all the LHR operators therefore I would have thought
it imperative to calbibrate stand etc

It was never mentioned that the services would start at at begining of summer schedule
and if they start my bet is for late June or September

Ian

MARK9263
7th Feb 2009, 14:15
Dont forget the return of FEDEX..

Playamar2
7th Feb 2009, 14:25
The AAL flights for Boston & JFK are in the pipeline for Summer 2010!! The other routes/airlines posted by Steve Platt are rumours, and in all probability most will be for 2010.

Like Skipness, I can't see why the A380 needs to come for trials yet, as EK won't be starting for a couple of years. They don't need to do trials for diversions, or half the airports in europe would need to be visited.

brian_dromey
7th Feb 2009, 15:21
T1 is looking pretty good now, for the most part.

No sign of builders at Check-in or Security, which works incredibly well. The area around WHSmith, the area which used to be landside, is a bit of a sorry spot at the minute, it is very quiet and most of the shops are empty! BizA, as usual, looks good, even if it is a bit of a maze to get through. The shopping/waiting area looks good and star-bucks is a nice addition, especially as you can sit by the windows and watch the ramp activity, builders are not quite finished there, but when it is finished it will look quite good, I think. The ceilings are very low in some areas, not helped by them being painted black!

Brian.

steve platt
7th Feb 2009, 18:43
Is this not a rumour network mr skipness? Therefore i am posting RUMOURS that may or may not come to be true. Both 2009 and 2010 have been mentioned for these services to start that is why i am posting these RUMOURS now. And for your information i am not a spotter and do infact work at manchhester airport.

Have a nice evening mr skipness.

GayFriendly
8th Feb 2009, 02:54
You said in your last thread you flew from T1 and you were delayed by a TOM Flight to BGI..

TOM fly from T2 ???

My mistake - it was a Thomas Cook flight to BGI not TOM (Thomson) - it didn't really cause a delay as you put it, more of a lot of confusion as there was no real effort being made to organize the queues. As I said I have experienced a lot worse.

Brian - Agreed, its the shopping area that looks very sad and yes the ceilings are very low, its quite claustrophic in parts. Wouldn't put me off from flying through again though :)

mantug01
8th Feb 2009, 08:53
The A380 has been penciled in for trials for quite a while, they are waiting for the new reconfigured stand 12 to be completed then the aircraft must do a few days of ground trials to ensure the stand / facilities can cope. i.e. 300 - 400 pax at gate 20 !! (yeah right!), testing baggage handing through terminal and loading onto aircraft, towing & pushback tests etc.....

Stand 32 is the alternative stand for A380 ops, im not sure how things are progressing with that one....

The test aircraft will be an Airbus tester not EK's own.

Vuelo
8th Feb 2009, 09:00
Gate 20 can barely cope with a 737 so can't se it could cope with an A380!

Try the end of B Pier for a more acccurate location for the new A380 gate.

Scottie Dog
8th Feb 2009, 11:12
Vuelo

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong but isn't gate 20 a coaching station? If I am correct, then technically, you could fit any size of passenger load through it - althought admitably it might be a slight squeeze.

Perhaps mantug01 was implying that passengers may then be bussed to gate 12 for an A380.

Vuelo
8th Feb 2009, 12:13
Yes you are right, I had gate 21 in my head for some reason.

No A380 operator would want their pa bussed however.

Dr Illitout
8th Feb 2009, 13:35
One of the 80 stands can take the 380. It nearly did two times because of the snow at LHR recently!
I can just imagine the chaos if one (or two!) turned up and they had to de plane all those punters down one set of steps on the lower deck onto buses!

rgds Dr I

daynehold
8th Feb 2009, 18:44
It is the worst airport I have ever had the displeasure to visit, have the managers ever actually walked around the terminal, nothing works,lifts,escalators are never turned on, constant pre-emtive threatening pa's banging on about how your luggage will be destroyed etc,arriving in the domestic you will threated by the "re-entry is NOT allowed", having put ridiculous automatic triple exit doors which do nothing but hinder your exit with bags, there is still a bloke the other side of the doors ! The place is a disgrace

Well said Nilco, I couldn't agrree more! What until the Millenium was a first class, developing international airport is now little more than a "teminal" in fading decline. I acknowledge that the new security areas are an improvemnet but those apart and having used all three terminals in the last 12 months there is absolutely nothing to commend Manchester Airport to the travelling public. The new airside shopping area in T1 is an incomplete desolate wilderness - the floors are half finished as are the ceilings which reveal a depressing display of pipe work - if it suggested that building/redevelopment work is still ongoing why isn't that evidenced by explanatory notices? I frequently have to connect between T1 & T3 - until 12 months ago that was through an inside passageway - now one is faced with a cold, dismal meander along the outside of those terminals. Then look at the landside facilities - now there are barely none and for those of us who are unfortunate enough to have to wait for arriving passengers we are faced with dirty and worn out coffee bars. What was once promoted as England's Northern Gateway is now best avoided!:ugh:

Bagso
8th Feb 2009, 19:24
This is from the BOH thread.........

"The £45million redevelopment project was boosted by an extra £13million cash injection from owners Dorset Airport group"

Make that the Manchester Airport Group whose main emphasis s/b Manchester right ?

..........so thats where all the money is going !

mantug01
8th Feb 2009, 19:49
The new re-configured stand 12 once open will be on the only stand on T1 that is fully able to take the A380 size wise. Stand 32 will fit it on, just about but their are a few tweaks that need doing first.

The plans were to park the A380 on stand 12 and bus... yes Bus all the pax to/from the terminal. For outbound pax this would include a nice trip to gate 20 (downstairs overlooking stand 21)

The passengers will be unable to exit B pier and walk over to the new stand as this would invlove them crossing the only road between T1 & T3 as this is being moved to the head of stand. No airbridges were allowed as this costs money!

I totally aggree that you would have to be mental to park an A380 on stand 12 and bus them, but thats the plan! I doubt the business class pax would be pleased with that. No A380 operator would put up with that for long.

al446
8th Feb 2009, 20:06
I totally agree with you. Until the revamp it was poss to get a pint before security which meant that Mrs446 and I could slope off for a ciggie while avoiding the overpriced "shopping experiences". Now we have to go airside before we have had sufficient nicotine intake or sit in crappy overpriced coffee place with inattentive staff and no atmosphere. I will no doubt take some flack from the health thought squad, so be it. Some other pillock will probably say "Well dont use M/C". I dont usually but I use wherever flights are cheapest, prefer LPL.
I know that pax numbers are far from combarable but managers should go have a look at AMS, they know how to do it.

TURIN
8th Feb 2009, 20:14
"Well dont use M/C"

M/C????????:confused::ugh:

al446
8th Feb 2009, 20:20
M/C = Manchester = Manc, it's the shorthand we use round her, even on letters.

Hope that helps.

TURIN
8th Feb 2009, 20:28
Sorry, my mistake I thought this was an aviation forum and the discussion was about MAN. It's the internationally recognised 3 letter code for - Manchester Airport. It's what we use around here.

Sorry to butt in. :E

MUFC_fan
8th Feb 2009, 20:33
M/C is a person who presents an event or something along those lines.

MAN, EGGC, Ringway Airport or Manchester International Airport are all names of the airfield that serves destinations across the globe.

Does that settle it?!:\

Anyway, does anybody know what a/c the main charter carriers will have based at MAN this summer such as MON, TCX and TOM? Thanks.

chiglet
9th Feb 2009, 07:00
EGGC
Is [or was London "Croyden" Airport.....] if you mean Manchester, then that is EGCC.....:E

Vuelo
9th Feb 2009, 09:32
If the depression gets worse, do you think the aiport would actually consider closing T3 for a time to save costs? It must be very expensive to run with dwindling passenger numbers/loss of BD USA/not much retail etc.

MAN777
9th Feb 2009, 10:08
Below pasted from another thread, isnt this just sweet justice to BA that used the old yield chestnut to move the aircraft to LGW from MAN

"Actually, the BA LGW-JFK loadings are extremely poor, Although the back end seems to sell very well, the front end (Yield end Mr Skipness) struggles to sell at all. Average bookings for first class are about 1 per day, club class averages about 12 seats/day (Config for J class = 48), in other words, about 1/4 full. Just for comparison - the average load in J class for the MAN-JFK was about the same, i.e average of 12/day (config for J class = 24) or about 1/2 full"

Mr A Tis
9th Feb 2009, 10:56
Don't panic Mr Mainwaring !!!
The loss of one flight a day ( BMI transat) is hardly reason to close a terminal.
T3 remains pretty busy with Flybe, Easy & Baby the main users & there has been little change to their flights, if anything slightly up.

Shyted
9th Feb 2009, 11:34
MAN777,

Do you honestly think Skip will answer this one. You know he wont have anything bad said about BA or any airport in London.....heavens forbid if they ever pulled it

Shyted

Skipness One Echo
9th Feb 2009, 12:04
Gatwick long haul yields are poor in comparison with Heathrow. They suffer from being so close to Heathrow. I honestly am baffled why BA brought this route back but hey ho. If you really want to know, I reckon they will axe it after the summer as they will also be launching another London-New York connection from LCY. Perhaps it was a slot sitter?

Route for route, when BA transferred traffic from LHR to LGW under Ayling to create the "Hub without the hubbub" concept, the yields dramatically fell as a lot of the traffic at the pointy end stayed at Heathrow and flew with someone else. Hence they were swiftly moved back round the M25 leaving a small fleet of 777s at LGW on leisure routes only.

I was commenting on the fact that in economy LGW-JFK was expensive on the day the chap quoted. The flight will probably still lose money if it sells out all summer unless loads up front pick up.

You need to read my posts more clearly, I am pretty pro Heathrow and BA, but they're far from perfect...... As for long haul outside of Heathrow in the London area, it's a dead duck outside the leisure market. Delta are known to be getting out of LGW as soon as they can secure more slots at LHR leaving only US Airways.

The real truth is that BA wanted out of Manchester. The odd thing is that so many people still care, tis just a business and the competition has MAN pretty well covered where the routes are viable. And for the record, I used to love MAN, not so much now as it's gone downhill a lot in recent years but it's a great part of the world, I used to work there.

firstchoice7e7
9th Feb 2009, 13:44
Is Gatwick really such a dead duck when it comes to non leisure Long haul its reported on another thread that DL/NW yields and loads have suffered since moving from LGW to LHR and that they are cutting flights from LHR now.

Skipness One Echo
9th Feb 2009, 13:49
Yes massively so. The only cuts so far with these guys were that NWA's new LHR-SEA was withdrawn after the traffic never materialised.

I actually think that BA MAN-JFK was a good route but BA being the massive internal contradiction that they are I can see why they axed it as it was a real oddball route at the end.

MAN777
10th Feb 2009, 20:50
Had the pleasure of a Man - Dublin day trip today, on the return we had to do a go round from about about 1 mile out, as 23R was blocked by a Beech 200.

Took this photo and thought I would share it as it highlights the extensive apron work on stand 12 (A380 stand)

Thanks Ryanair for the £2 trip and scenic hold over Liverpool and long final approach over Derbyshire !! Bargain !

Pier B work on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://flickr.com/photos/31693696@N04/3269683317/)

jongeman
11th Feb 2009, 10:43
Cheers for that MAN777. Are they opening up the entrance to pier B or will you still get to it round that labyrinth? (I wonder)

J-Man
11th Feb 2009, 15:57
On my latest trip to EMA ive noticed they have a smoking area airside, although caged in its a welcome relief.

Seen as MAG own EMA..or so i read and with all this development going on at manch, why havent they done the same?

I did send an email which was replied to saying they were 'looking into it but couldnt guarantee'

1station
11th Feb 2009, 21:58
I believe the smoking area airside is going to happen at MAN but the powers that be are still discussing a suitable location.

MAN777
11th Feb 2009, 22:36
Somewhere in Cheshire would be nice !:)

MAN777
11th Feb 2009, 23:55
Sorry for being an anorak, but it is a dull day that needs brightening up !

The latest Kenyan airways B737 was delivered through MAN this morning.

The delivery crew must have made some friends on the last visit !!! Apparently they were showered with MUFC gifts on the last visit.

photo here

MAN Reports (http://tasmanchester.co.uk/MAN_Reports.html)

strid
12th Feb 2009, 12:42
On 29th May, depart at 09:00 with First Choice to Sharm.

Any ideas what aircraft type I'm most likely to be flying on?

Ian Brooks
12th Feb 2009, 13:19
Ryanair to reduce MAN to DUB due their cutting back at Dublin

Ian

Trash_Hauler
16th Feb 2009, 11:12
Couldn't help but notice a Blackwater Aviation Casa 212 at MAN the other day. Seems that certain intelligence agencies seem to love MAN don't they?

AircraftOperations
16th Feb 2009, 11:28
Have a feeling the "special" Casas have used other UK airports in the past, so why MAN at this stage?

Mr A Tis
16th Feb 2009, 17:00
Noticed that T1 has had vending machines installed now for security clear plastic bags. £1 a pop. I assume T2 & T3 have the same now?
Be warned, take your own bags or be ripped off !!

MUFC_fan
16th Feb 2009, 17:41
SQ are to reduce their fleet by 14% and many say that it will be the 777s.

Will this mean the end of SQ at MAN?

MANFlyer
17th Feb 2009, 10:59
Not totally, yet, but they are reducing to 3 times a week from May so it ain't looking good.

Gutted for the fabulous MAN sales and airport staff. :(

TSR2
17th Feb 2009, 16:32
Bargain at £1. Available in all good newsagents at £1.49.

MUFC_fan
18th Feb 2009, 16:47
Shame to hear about SQ if it is true but may pave the way for a 3rd EK flight, in fact I doubt it would make a difference anyway...

Does the 767 ever operate to SSH from MAN?

G-STAW
18th Feb 2009, 19:09
Shame to hear about SQ if it is true but may pave the way for a 3rd EK flight, in fact I doubt it would make a difference anyway...

Does the 767 ever operate to SSH from MAN?

it is a shame, everyone works damn hard to get the flight out on time every day it really would be a shame to see these great people get the chop!

re SSH, the flight was operated by a 767 the other day actually, but is very rare.

MAN777
18th Feb 2009, 20:43
If SQ think they can shuttle MAN Pax to London to fill the A380s they should look at what happened to QF and Malaysian passengers after they left.

MAN passengers voted with their feet and moved to Middle East carriers and Euro hubs, there is no reason why anything will be different this time. SQ you will loose !!

We DONT want to use LHR !!!

MANFlyer
18th Feb 2009, 20:58
heard a RUMOUR today they are pulling out of MAN in november

Absolute bollox, they haven't decided anything that far ahead on any route yet. You've either made that up yourself, or whoever 'told' you did. I'll go with the former myself.

Are you sure you didn't see an email about a possible diversion again ?. :rolleyes:

GLENO
18th Feb 2009, 21:01
Had the unfortunate trip through Terminal 1 arrivals and departures today whilst on a trip to and from Dublin...........struggled to find the gates through the Cosmetic Counter!!...what on earth are they doing with the place?...when is it going to be finished?....whole place looks like a massive building site and arrivals isnt much better.........should have started afresh and bulldozed the place.........signage all over the place.....no good just papering over the cracks.......oh yes and the car parking was a bargain £23....for 61/2 hours........onwards to JOHN LENNON!!.......

G-STAW
18th Feb 2009, 21:21
Absolute bollox, they haven't decided anything that far ahead on any route yet. You've either made that up yourself, or whoever 'told' you did. I'll go with the former myself.

Are you sure you didn't see an email about a possible diversion again ?. :rolleyes:

That came from someone who has no reason for lying, and in regards to the "diversion", yes JAL did sign a diversion contact, FACT. please dont make childish comments!!

StoneyBridge Radar
19th Feb 2009, 10:21
The suggetsion of a pull-out by SQ was met with a bewildered response from those who would know if it were true; yet another bollox PPRUNE exclusive :rolleyes:

The understanding is that the B744s and non-ER 772s are being drawn down and sent to the desert whilst the younger ERs will take on the longer "regional" routes, along with the brand new A333s.

The net result is a 20% drop in long haul metal and an overall 17% drop in capacity across the network.

There are positive signs, despite the bears on here and spotters.net claiming SQ are about to pull out; MAN is down by one rotation a week. Other stations are closing down right now, whilst others are seeing dramatic reductions; even LHR is not immune to this, as one of their dailies will be going down to a 77W.

Rgds

MANFlyer
19th Feb 2009, 10:34
That came from someone who has no reason for lying........please dont make childish comments!!

Oh the irony....:D

MUFC_fan
19th Feb 2009, 11:46
I wouldn't have thought the A333 would reach MAN so would the 772 still be deployed on MAN?

StoneyBridge Radar
19th Feb 2009, 12:08
I meant regional asian routes, plus closer Oz stations will see the non -ER 777s replaced by brand new A333s and will see B772-ERs "abused" for the same purpose, doing a mix of intra-asian rotations and long haul.

The 772-ER is the only remotely suitable aircraft for SQ and MAN presently, so there will be no change there.

There is no plan or intention to use the A333s beyond Asia and Oz.

Rgds.

Ametyst2
19th Feb 2009, 12:19
Singapore Airlines are down from 5 to 3 flights a week, a reduction of 2 flights a week with Monday and Friday flights being withdrawn. It had been hoped that SQ would increase the service to daily from Manchester this summer.

MANFlyer
19th Feb 2009, 14:15
I meant regional asian routes, plus closer Oz stations will see the non -ER 777s replaced by brand new A333s and will see B772-ERs "abused" for the same purpose, doing a mix of intra-asian rotations and long haul.

The 772-ER is the only remotely suitable aircraft for SQ and MAN presently, so there will be no change there.

Indeed. The A330's are going to BNE, PER, ADL, NGO etc initially.

The 772ER's have been 'abused' like that since they got them. They do short regional rotations during the day after coming in from a long haul and prior to going back out late at night. Out of 50+ SIN-SGN vv flights I've done, all but 3 have been on a SpaceBed equipped 772ER. I've even arrived in from MAN and gone on to SGN or in from SGN and on to MAN on the same a/c from the same gate a few times.

MAN has always been under pressure while the oil price kept going up. It's the longest nonstop 777 flight SQ did so the operating costs kept getting higher up to and over a tipping point. Even though oil is noe much cheaper, some idiot(s) at SQ have hedged 44% of their fuel at 131 US Dollars a barrel, hence the high surcharges that are still in place.

The really sad thing about SQ and MAN is we were very close to going to 9 or 10 rotations a week about 2 years ago, with a request in for a late departure Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday being seriously considered, but they didn't have the spare a/c due to the A380 delays.

roverman
19th Feb 2009, 16:49
Difficult times. Worrying news about SQ. But at least they are still flying the route, hopefully keeping it warm for a return to growth at some stage. Old timers like me may recall the publicity campaign run by SQ in conjunction with MAN back in the early 1980s, with the aim of securing respective government approval to fly SIN-MAN. At the time the bilateral agreement only allowed 7 flights per week UK-Singapore by each of SQ and BA. SQ desperately wanted to open MAN but BA didn't and opposed. It took an almighty lobbying effort - including a one-off non-scheduled SQ B747 promotional visit in 1984 before the deadlock was broken. A scheduled SQ B743-Combi finally landed at MAN in April 1986. The initial frequency was just 2 per week with an en-route stop each way. I was there that morning to hear Manchester ATC say 'Singapore 337 Good Morning, and Welcome' and to witness the Big Top touch down. Like QF three years earlier, it was a seminal moment. QF are long gone from 53N 002W. I hope I will never hear us say Goodbye to one of the pioneers of MANs erstwhile Golden Age.

mickyman
19th Feb 2009, 17:20
Re: SQ

This is the end .......my only far-east friend
the end........of sing-a-pore at MAN ........the end,
I'll never look at your triple sevens again..........

Can you picture what we'll be .........so flightless
as can be...........desperately in need of a
direct carrier........in a ......major hub land !

MM

Trash_Hauler
19th Feb 2009, 17:51
So anybody definitively know what's going on with the Jet2 contract? Seems that this saga has gone on forever. Summer schedule will be here before you know it!

Skipness One Echo
19th Feb 2009, 17:54
Manchesters golden age is over. The truth is that with a STAR feed to Heathrow with BMI and a new fleet of A380s to fill the writing is on the wall....

It's interesting that BMI have dumped both Leeds and Teesside but kept Manchester.....

A great shame, I agree.

MANFlyer
19th Feb 2009, 18:54
A scheduled SQ B743-Combi finally landed at MAN in April 1986.

Up until recently this little fact was one of those proudly listed in SQ's 'history' list at the back of Silverkris magazine !.

Manchesters golden age is over. The truth is that with a STAR feed to Heathrow with BMI and a new fleet of A380s to fill the writing is on the wall....

When the worlds best airline is so unable to fill three aircraft a day from the worlds 'most sought after airport' (a few years after claiming they would like, and could confidently fill, 6 or 7 flights a day) that they first have to cancel two 744 flights a week and then replace it with a 77W instead of the proposed A380, that tells you all you need to know.

I've got news for you fella, everybody's Golden Age is over at the moment.

Skipness One Echo
19th Feb 2009, 19:50
Stop being so bloody chippy !
I was agreeing with you that it's a shame but as the legacy airlines move to hub and focus city operations this sort of thing happens.

My concern would identifying why what were historically MAN's strongest supporters are way less committed to the airport. First American drops the daily ORD to 5 a week for the winter ( has this ever happened in 20 years of ops?)and now Singapore drops frequency as well.

It's NOT as if there is a MASSIVE amount of long haul competition at MAN, there's a damn good choice but it ain't saturation point. As to the reductions at LHR, a B744 to a B77W isn't really a massive drop and when factored in to the A380 capacity, it makes sense.

TURIN
19th Feb 2009, 22:18
I thought the AA Chicago was going back up to daily.

Has it been changed again?

jongeman
19th Feb 2009, 22:57

When MAN first received QF, SA and SQ it was in the years of routings like LHR-BOM-KUL-SYD-AKL. So a natural progression saw MAN added to this global route map, and we got MAN-LHR-BKK-SYD-MEL and MAN-CDG-JNB etc.

Times have changed. We now have very successful services to most of the world's primary hubs (with one or two exceptions)....EWR, ORD, ATL, PHL, DXB, AUH, DOH and SIN. I fail to see how you think the golden age is over.

BYALPHAINDIA
20th Feb 2009, 01:41
MAN has lost more carriers than it has gained....

SQ 743's & 744's (9V SMJ) - Happy days!

Ian Brooks
20th Feb 2009, 07:52
God it`s slit your wrist time, it`s a depression it`s hurting not just Manchester but most airports in the western world.

The depression will end and things will improve again and airlines will want to find work for their aircraft if they survive.

Ian

Mr A Tis
20th Feb 2009, 08:50
hey Skippy the "Golden" age for SIA may be over at MAN as they need to fill those 380s at LHR. Just remember when they started, they didn't have twice daily Emirates, daily Etihad & daily Qatari to contend with. EK is the prefered & often quickest route down to OZ from MAN now.
I'd still be surprised if they pulled out altogether.

Ian Brooks
20th Feb 2009, 09:29
Mr A Tis

I agree with you, if they were going to pull the plug they would have done it there and then

Ian

1station
20th Feb 2009, 09:55
Aviance have won the contract at MAN starting on the 29th March 2009 :ok:

What now for Menzies at Manchester :confused:

Rampmole
20th Feb 2009, 14:03
What now for Menzies??

easyjet, aer lingus, american airlines, bmi baby, southwest, tui's, cyprus airways starting soon.

The96er
20th Feb 2009, 14:25
Cyprus is not guaranteed, I believe Aviance are in negotiations for them aswell.

virgin_cc_wannabe
20th Feb 2009, 16:05
Hi all

Virgin are operating a few A340-600's into MAN on 1/2/3 of march, anyone know more?

Sunday 1st
Virgin A-340.600 ETA 15.00 ETD 20.00 (VIR9956/956P)
Monday 2nd
Virgin A-340.600 ETA 13.15 ETD 14.45 (VIR9956/956P)
Tuesday 3rd
Virgin A-340.600 ETA 13.15 ETD 14.45 (VIR9956/956P)

Ive heard they are testing T2. A sign that they are planning the A346 for the BGI flights rather than the A343

G-STAW
20th Feb 2009, 18:20
comes abit of a suprise. i dont get why swissport are lying off 50 staff.....

BAladdy
21st Feb 2009, 05:45
I read that Swissport are currently restructuring their airline handling business . Could that be why 50 jobs are going at MAN?.

I have just come back from SIN. At Changai for years there was only allowed to be two airline handling agent. Then about two years ago Swissport was awarded the new third license to operate as a handling agent at Changai . However about 6 weeks ago they announced they would close their whole operation at Changai from 31st of March as part of a restructuring program. In total 300 people are loosing their jobs there and Air Asia, Tiger Airways, Cebu Pacific and one other airline are now looking for a new handling agent.

Rampmole
21st Feb 2009, 07:02
swissport are recruiting at MAN at the moment

Directgov jobs and skills search - Job details (http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/detailjob.aspx?sessionid=4b7a6057-8967-456d-b853-9342b3f8fcf3&j=OLY/15554)

so are aviance, decent hourly rate too.

Directgov jobs and skills search - Job details (http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/detailjob.aspx?sessionid=4b7a6057-8967-456d-b853-9342b3f8fcf3&j=OLY/15562)

IB4138
21st Feb 2009, 08:02
The jobs were there yesterday, but not showing on that site today.

All were 6 month contracts.

Shed-on-a-Pole
22nd Feb 2009, 17:36
COOPERATIVE HOLIDAYS is to be set up as a joint venture operation by the Co-Op and Cosmos. The backers believe there is a space in the market for another traditional mainstream tour offering with the 'Big 4' having consolidated to become the 'Big 2', and of course with XL also out of the picture. The market also bemoans the inevitable tendency of TUI / Thomas Cook to push sales through their own inhouse sales channels leaving increasingly slimmer pickings for other companies. Cooperative Holidays will initially be sold through Co-Op outlets only but is expected to be made available via other retailers once more established.

The flying programme is planned to commence for the Summer 2010 season from two main bases: MANCHESTER and LONDON GATWICK. The usual EUMED destinations will be offered, perhaps Florida also. Product will be gradually added from other regional airports.

I have not yet seen any indication of which airline(s) will provide the flying for Cooperative Holidays, or even if contract negotiations have taken place yet. If anybody knows which airlines will be involved, please update us here if you are at liberty to provide the information. Presumably Monarch will be well placed to provide capacity to a Cosmos-related business? Thanks.

Nice to be able to report some good news for a change, isn't it?

SHED.

brian_dromey
22nd Feb 2009, 17:48
I think the co-op have publically stated that they would not be using KISS (the former XL).
My best guess would be bmi, they are moving 4 aircraft from the mainline fleet to charter work this summer. No one else springs to mind.

Brian.

Trash_Hauler
22nd Feb 2009, 17:53
I think the co-op have publically stated that they would not be using KISS (the former XL).
My best guess would be bmi, they are moving 4 aircraft from the mainline fleet to charter work this summer. No one else springs to mind.

Brian.

Ever heard of Air Europa? I have a feeling they will be rather busy at MAN this summer picking up alot of the XL / Futura business.

MAN777
22nd Feb 2009, 18:48
Everyones going to Turkey this year !! :O

Thats if my travel agents window is to be believed !

TSR2
22nd Feb 2009, 19:34
Or Sharm el Sheikh.

MUFC_fan
22nd Feb 2009, 19:41
Not only do they seem to be cheaper for staying there, but the price of holidays are certainly cheaper as well. For the past 3 years I have not been on a summer holiday to Europe because I find it either cheaper (Caribbean) or worth spending the extra few hundred pounds (Maldives) to go elsewhere.

This year I'm off to SSH and until the euro craps itself (which I hope it doesn't do for some time for the sake of the British economy) I won't be returning to Europe for quite a while!:ok:

MAN777
22nd Feb 2009, 20:17
I did the UAE in August last year. 4 star east coast beach resort for less than a concrete self catering box in Greece. Bloody hot mind you but much better value than europe.

TechProblem
22nd Feb 2009, 22:32
Ever heard of Air Europa? I have a feeling they will be rather busy at MAN this summer picking up alot of the XL / Futura business.

I think so to, there flights over the winter to TFS, ACE, and FUE were very busy. Most where VERY early morning and full.

Bagso
23rd Feb 2009, 15:59
Apparently BA Chairman Willie Walsh will be at Manchester this week to open the new Concorde facility !

Nothing personnal but given BAs track record at MAN I would not allow him on airport property....!

Lets hope he us booed off !

MUFC_fan
23rd Feb 2009, 16:34
His company does own the plane inside!

learjet50
23rd Feb 2009, 17:45
?Bagso

As MUFC stated its his Aircraft (B /Awys)

why should he be booded off the Airport

At the end of the day we got at Manchester an Aviation Legend Thanks to Peter Hampson who worked his boxxocks off to secure this piece of Aviation Hertigate and I Thank him for doing that

Willy Walsh should be welcome I know he s not the most popular man in the world but he s given his best to make Manchester a Legend for a famous Aircraft .

Peter H

If you read this hope u are OK

Gerry (EX NEA)

compton3bravo
24th Feb 2009, 07:39
Instead of going somewhere you think is ´cheap´ why dont you go to somewhere where you want to go to and make your stay somewhat shorter. Unfortunately this is the British attitude of going somewhere as long as its cheap not where you might like the destination you want to go to. And before you start ranting I am British (and a Yorkshireman) but now live in Southern Spain and dont give a damn about the Euro just think about the weather and the relaxed attitude of everyone - its not just money you know!

Euroboy39
24th Feb 2009, 08:31
...because most tourists should pay the premium to go to a quality destinations such as Spain? Haha. I'm sorry, but for many British passengers who would traditionally go to Spain, it offers hot weather, beaches, plentiful food and cheap drink- of course, this can be found in many places around Europe, so if the exchange rate of the Euro makes Spain relatively more expensive, then of course tourists will just substitute Spain for Cyprus, Bulgaria, Turkey etc... it is rediculous to suggest that the average tourist should curtail their holiday to go to Spain instead of a cheaper Med destination, when many of them won't get off the beach or the bar for the duration of the trip!

mantug01
24th Feb 2009, 16:43
RAF flypast

As a part of the celebrations to mark the opening of the Concorde hanger at the Aviation Viewing Park there will be a flypast of an RAF aircraft.

This will be at 12:00 hrs on Wednesday 25th February 2009 an RAF Eurofighter EF2000 Typhoon will make a flypast of Manchester Airport. The aircraft will approach the operational runway (according to current forecasts Runway 23R) and make a low flypast before departing to the North or South.

Novair DC10
25th Feb 2009, 10:44
I would expect the new Coop / Cosmos tour operation flights to be operated by Monarch.
Cosmos / Avro and Monarch are all sister companies....

Dr Illitout
25th Feb 2009, 15:47
Another part of the celebrations to mark the opening of the Concorde hanger at the Aviation Viewing Park MAPLC made the person who did all the maintenance on the aircraft at the viewing park, redundant!!!!!:mad:

Rgds Dr I

Momentary Lapse
25th Feb 2009, 18:35
Hampo did a grand job of adding to the "cultural" and "aesthetic" side of MAPLC; sadly mgmt are only interested in £ and making concrete tunnels to herd people through. He's left them in a pickle because his legacy deserves proper treatment, but to mgmt it takes up a lot of development space and doesn't generate enough £ per acre.

Nice one Pete! I tip my hat to you.

1station
26th Feb 2009, 15:57
I am led to believe upto 300 jobs are to be lost at Manchester and is to be announced by Geoff Muirhead by the end of the week. Does anyone know more?

Momentary Lapse
26th Feb 2009, 16:40
I'd wager a small amount that Geoff's job won't be one of them. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

1station
26th Feb 2009, 17:14
Momentary Lapse

You are are correct I do not work for MAPLC.

StoneyBridge Radar
26th Feb 2009, 17:19
Now now, Geoff is doing his bit to save money on fuel and save the environment with his brand new Lexus Hybrid 4x4.

Times must be hard, eh? :E

AndyH52
26th Feb 2009, 17:23
TUI has announced the closure of the former First Choice office in Salford with the loss of 300 jobs. Would seem too coincidental, perhaps, for the same number to be being lost from MAN too? Crossed wires, perhaps?

RoyHudd
26th Feb 2009, 18:11
BBC Radio Manchester reported 90 jobs to go. Some or all in "Security" please. Far too many of them standing around or gossiping when I go through.

learjet50
26th Feb 2009, 20:44
Dr I

I Hope u got your steps Back if not sell em for lots of dosh

There are some stupid people at the airport with the tact of an Hang Grenage

See u on the Ramp

Regards

G

learjet50
26th Feb 2009, 20:50
mOMENTRY LAPSE

Well Said

Peter H was a Legend at the Airport he brought many things to the Airport one of which was not as u say Tunnels and Shops which is all the Airport seem to worry about now How much Money can we make today

No respect for the Old School who developed the Airport with a passion for not just making Money

Peter

If you are reading this Kind Regards

Gerry Ex NEA

Vulcans Rule
27th Feb 2009, 07:49
With regard to "possibly some jobs in security might go", gotta say, they are always busy in security, discussing last nights footie, what time they got away on their last shift, what they've brought in for meal break......sometimes we have to wait when we go airside while these important issues are discussed!!!!

John

Dr Illitout
27th Feb 2009, 08:51
learjet50

Not me mate!! The steps and the boost engine belong to the guy who was made redundant. I just know him.
You might see me on the ramp though:ok:

Rgds Dr I

learjet50
27th Feb 2009, 13:22
Hi

Spoke to him this morning on the staff Bus an abosulte disgrace when you see some of the Toxxers in the Ivory Tower spending fortunes on T1 Extensions which to be Quite honest look like shxx

All they want is to put as many shops as possible in the Airport and reap the rewards they are not intrested in people s lives as long as they earn there salary they just dont care..

Kind Regards

Readability 5
27th Feb 2009, 22:52
Here at EMA we were told yesterday that the number of 'at risk' jobs was 305 at MAN, 60 at EMA, and 5 at BOH. A number of 'new' jobs will be created, no doubt on inferior contracts, so the net losses will be 90 at MAN, 25 at EMA, and 3 at BOH.

Apparently, these losses will be at all levels of the business; we will soon see.:suspect:

R5

Suzeman
28th Feb 2009, 07:43
Oh dear.

Sounds like a re-run of events which followed Spooner's demise at MAN in Spring 2006. New jobs = old job descriptions tweaked and offered at lower salary, reapplying for your jobs etc. Not nice especially in the current climate.

Good luck to all those at MAG.

Suzeman

Trash_Hauler
28th Feb 2009, 16:14
This current bunch of yutzes running this airport need to go! This place is a disgrace compared to what it was just 5 years ago. I have been on the airport now for 7 years and have never seen it as low as it is now. Not even in the downturn following the events of Sep 11. The infrastructure (what is left of it) is a mess and it doesn't work. Airlines (those that aren't going bust) are leaving in droves and the few that we do get in are crappy loco's! This could be a world class airport if the right persons invested and the right persons were running it.

Time to sell it and go private!

Momentary Lapse
28th Feb 2009, 19:17
Trouble is, at least in 2006 there was still a relatively healthy job market for those brave enough to take Geoff's dollar and try their hand at a new job in the real world. After 2001 and 2006 restructures, the people who left always looked happier compared to those who stayed.

Given that the airline market is contracting, and will for some time yet, it makes sense to downsize any areas relating to capital investment, and they always had too many people in some departments, especially Group!

Sad for the people involved, but probably the right decision for the company.

learjet50
28th Feb 2009, 19:47
Hi Guys

What are all the Mon Flights from Nairobia about ??

all due sunday 01 March Just Curious

TartinTon
28th Feb 2009, 20:17
MOD Contract

TSR2
28th Feb 2009, 20:20
What are all the Mon Flights from Nairobia about ??

As a pure guess I would think it is some form of 'airport proving' excercise prior to VS change of aircraft type to A346 on some routes. Could be wrong though.

Skipness One Echo
28th Feb 2009, 23:22
VS don't fly MAN-NBO.

virgin_cc_wannabe
28th Feb 2009, 23:37
but they will fly NBO-MAN for the next 3 days, on MOD contracts

One arrives tomorrow at 15:00, then running T2 compatability until 20:00, when it departs back to LHR

Then, 2/3rd one arrives at 15:45, departing 45 mins later

roy2711
1st Mar 2009, 06:10
Will they perhaps be the return leg of the bmi mod charters to NBO in january.:cool:

mantug01
1st Mar 2009, 07:55
Are these VS A346's confirmed to be arriving?

No one seems to know anything about them and these are people that should know!

learjet50
1st Mar 2009, 11:42
Gentlemen

What is happening to the TCX 753 parked outside the TCX Hanger last week devoid of TCX Markings

flyinthesky
1st Mar 2009, 13:35
Probably being made ready to return to the leasing company. There are a whole string of 757's to return over the next 3 years or so.

An announcement regarding fleet replacement is imminent, however TCX are letting the big players fight it out to gain max advantage in the current climate.

mikeyuk
1st Mar 2009, 18:55
Anyone know what the hell happened on the Staff west car park around 0530 today.
Police and ambulance there and 3 or 4 cars smashed up. Rumour has it 2 cabin crew racing smashed into parked cars on the public side. Feel sorry for the owners when they get back from holiday.

G-STAW
2nd Mar 2009, 12:13
what a load of rubbish, my collegue was involved. he was turning out of staff west when a car travelling at high speed crashed into him, thus smashing him into a parked jeep. think he came out ok. wouldnt like to be the guys coming back off holiday to see there car smashed to bits!

AircraftOperations
2nd Mar 2009, 12:58
Are all the flights with MON flight numbers from NBO to MAN operated by Virgin, or are some of them MON/other operators' machines?
Presume MON subbed in VS to assist them with the numbers.

A colleague told me that he thought he saw an AN-124 land at MAN around lunchtime. If true, was it related to the MOD movements?

Betablockeruk
2nd Mar 2009, 13:26
AN124 came from Baku. That's all I know.

virgin_cc_wannabe
2nd Mar 2009, 15:47
No, the MON to NBO are monarch aircraft, one on the 1st was an A320!!

Also, Ive read an interesting report, one that staes MAN is in Lufthansa's masterplan for bmi. Seems bmi ditching MAN longhaul was nothing to do with the LH takeover, just so happened to be around the same time. (Lufthansa certainly didnt sanction it anyway)

Ah well, lets hope this report turns out to be fruitfull, about time MAN had some good news.

mantug01
2nd Mar 2009, 15:55
MON9811 GMONX 320 NBO/CAI

GOZBF & GOZBM have also been busy doing MOD flights

Gordon_uk3
2nd Mar 2009, 17:18
Also, Ive read an interesting report, one that staes MAN is in Lufthansa's masterplan for bmi. Seems bmi ditching MAN longhaul was nothing to do with the LH takeover, just so happened to be around the same time. (Lufthansa certainly didnt sanction it anyway)

Is this report in the public domain?

TURIN
2nd Mar 2009, 22:07

Ah yes, the "LH 747-8 based at MAN on the DUS shuttle via JoBurg".

I can't see it myself but who knows you're the one in the know eh. :rolleyes:

flying macaco
2nd Mar 2009, 22:21
Not sure where this report is but there is a brief mention of LH being interested in MAN as a hub for BMI here:

http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness.co.uk/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090302/SUB/303029956/1162/breaking/-/-/whats-news

(4th paragraph down)

German carrier Lufthansa has hinted that its take-over of BMI could lead to Manchester Airport becoming a BMI hub in the future. The airline said Heathrow and Manchester could be in line for further flights if the European Union approves the takeover. Marianne Sammann, Lufthansa's UK and Ireland general manager, said its takeover of Swiss International Airlines in 2005 had resulted in more flights for Zurich airport. Sammann said: “In the UK, it's always a possibility. Provided there is the demand it's something we would look at. But we need the demand. Heathrow and Manchester always form part of the discussion.”

virgin_cc_wannabe
3rd Mar 2009, 07:17
Turin, is it your sole purpose in life to annoy people. Did I say anything about a B748 via dus blah blah blah, NO!

Did i claim to be in the know? NO!

so please, if you have nothing to say other than petty insults, dont say it

comet 4b623PW
3rd Mar 2009, 09:05
Unfortunately I get the impression that while Lufthansa may not have come with the strategy of moving it's long haul capable A330's out of Ringway, it seems to have done nothing to alter or reverse BMI ,s decision.

At the time of the decision was been taken I think Lufthansa could have told BMI to keep the aircraft at Ringway if it had wanted too, since it knew already that it was going to acquire control of BMI sometime in the first quarter of 2009.

IB4138
3rd Mar 2009, 09:51
...or it could have been one of the last defiant acts of bmi management who already knew they would be "goonered" after the take over. :hmm:

learjet50
3rd Mar 2009, 10:54
Turin

I agree with virgin about your comments

How stupid to say a Dus vis Jnb

I will sya no more please dont post stupid posts

Dr Illitout
3rd Mar 2009, 10:58
The AN124 had a HUGE boiler shaped thing loaded into it last night.

Also I agree with TURIN, we have heard the "So and So wants to turn MAN into it's next hub" thing so many times.

Rgds Dr I

virgin_cc_wannabe
3rd Mar 2009, 13:00
Also I agree with TURIN, we have heard the "So and So wants to turn MAN into it's next hub" thing so many times.

ah ok, so the uk ops manager for lufthansa, which is clearly in the crains article also, has it all wrong. How foolish of me, I forgot you will have more idea of UK ops than them :ugh:

Yeah I know that sentance is petty, but if you cant beat them, join them

..airman
3rd Mar 2009, 13:17
ah ok, so the uk ops manager for lufthansa, which is clearly in the crains article also, has it all wrong. How foolish of me, I forgot you will have more idea of UK ops than them :ugh:

A bmi hub at MAN wouldn't make sense at the moment. The airline has just retraunched from long haul ops at the Airport and is rumoured to have been considering selling bmi Regional to Flybe.

That said, LH proposed a mini-hub at MAN in the past along with other star alliance carriers, so that would suggest some interest in MAN. HOWEVER, Pier B was reconfigured in such a way to allow connections between these carriers and the whole plan failed to materialise......just as many of the other Manchester 'hub' plans did. BA for example had T3 designed on the basis it would transfer 757s and 777s to MAN for european and long haul routes respectively, and then they changed their business strategy.

Finally, and no offence to anyone, but station managers are rarely fully aware of airline strategy, they are employed for operational purposes and whilst they may be asked questions regarding issues such as this, they often will not have the full picture.

Ian Brooks
3rd Mar 2009, 13:58
I cannot see FlyBe taking over bmi Commuter as I think that would give them
a monopoly of UK domestic routes except for London and I`m sure the monopolies people would have something to say about that. It miight be a good idea for FlyBe and
BMI to codeshare on some routes

Ian

TURIN
3rd Mar 2009, 14:08
ah ok, so the uk ops manager for lufthansa, which is clearly in the crains article also, has it all wrong. How foolish of me, I forgot you will have more idea of UK ops than them

Nope, The LH General Manager has it right.

“In the UK, it's always a possibility. Provided there is the demand it's something we would look at. But we need the demand. Heathrow and Manchester always form part of the discussion.”

Your interpretation of the article is utterly wrong! :ugh:

Also, Ive read an interesting report, one that staes MAN is in Lufthansa's masterplan for bmi.

My "pettiness" is borne out of frustration. These forums used to be full of genuine interest articles and actual facts. They are now full of bonkers speculation by people who know no more than a bad journo with a 2 minute deadline. IE they make it up.

Learjet 50, get with the program will ya, I was taking the p155!! My comments are no more stupid then Virgin CC Wannabe :rolleyes:

virgin_cc_wannabe
3rd Mar 2009, 15:00
Nope, The LH General Manager has it right.

ok that is just pure nitpicking for the sake of filling your post i suspect

My "pettiness" is borne out of frustration. These forums used to be full of genuine interest articles and actual facts. They are now full of bonkers speculation by people who know no more than a bad journo with a 2 minute deadline. IE they make it up.

Learjet 50, get with the program will ya, I was taking the p155!! My comments are no more stupid then Virgin CC Wannabe

ok, 3 points here:

1) if you dont like it, either leave the forum or stop posting stupid childish insults. Just because you dont agree it doesnt give you the right of every post.

2) I am mearly posting what I have seen. If you dont like the speculation, please forward your comments to the Lufthansa management team who have reported this speculation to the press, or, if you would rather take it out on me email to [email protected]

3) lat time I checked, this was a RUMOUR forum, if you dont like rumours, then wrong place turin.

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Mar 2009, 16:44
The last poster has a point.

We suggest that you carefully think about what you are writing. Don't allow sniping, abuse or giving yourself the dubious pleasure of making something up.

If it isn't fact it has no place on here - and as it happens neither do you.

Please keep to topic and avoid some of the rubbish we are seeing.

AA&R Mods

OltonPete
3rd Mar 2009, 18:53
Well here are some facts from the airport website and they are ugly: -

February 2009 terminal passenger figure 1151756 down 16.71%
from 1382775.

Pax including transits 1171654 down 16.84%.

If the link works it will show movements down about 100 a day on
average but there was one less day of course in February 2009
compared to 2008.

http://tinyurl.com/c4ot5o

Pete

wiccan
3rd Mar 2009, 18:58
AFAIR, LH were going to pay for the mods to pier "B"....to have priority of stands, both for them and their business partners. MA plc intially said Yes, then changed their minds...possibly due to stand allocation....[Our flight is due in 10 mins. Get that a/c off the stand NOW]
bb

Ringwayman
3rd Mar 2009, 19:02
Whilst discussing the merits or otherwise of what LH intends out of MAN, bear in mind that they, (somehow!) grew the number of pax they operated out of MAN by just under 1% to just under 570,000 in 2008. Can we think of other legacy airlines operating here that have seen an increase in pax numbers to/from MAN? As usual, they gave promimence to where pax are connecting on with pretty substantial rises to Hong Kong, Beijing and Mumbai (collectively, Far East/Asia saw up 38% increase in connecting pax. Of course, what that figure is based on would be quite interesting). There are no immediate plans for increasing services.

AUTOGLIDE
4th Mar 2009, 07:27
I'm not surprised LH increased pax figures. I use them quite a lot, they've never yet let me down in 5 years of regular flights, and that's what matters to me. It even partially offsets the annoyance of having to go through security twice at FRA T1 on the way back to MAN. But only just :ok:

Dr Illitout
4th Mar 2009, 09:23
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!
At last the airside chip waggon is open!!!
Near north gate in the cut through between T1 and T2. Tried the chips (£1.50 a portion) last night the were good.
The Chips general manager says that they have great plans for MAN and are going to turn it into a take away hub. Plans are well advanced for some long haul cooking, with Italy, India and China being mentioned.

Rgds Dr I (Wannabe chip eater)

4th Mar 2009, 10:18
Just hope that someone doesn't SCOFF at this breaking news!:O

Guest 112233
4th Mar 2009, 14:09
What a great idea - "Have your cake and eat it" - At least MAN has not had its chips.
Can you imagine comming back from nowhare in the middle of the night on a lo-co and felling just battered. Is it just workers or can the SLF grap a bag too ?
CAT III

mikeyuk
4th Mar 2009, 16:00
Its overpriced and wont last long unless they drop the prices,
£ 1.50 for chips :ugh:
£ 1.25 Bottle of pop :ugh:
£ 2.00 Bacon barm :mad:
:=
Greggs is cheaper

parky747
5th Mar 2009, 07:50
Is it anywhere in the plan for BA to move into T1 as T3 goes more LCC?

And if they were to move into T1, is there enough room if they were to restart ops at MAN?

eggc
5th Mar 2009, 08:27
And if they were to move into T1, is there enough room if they were to restart ops at MAN?

Don't think thats something we will need to worry about !

GavinC
5th Mar 2009, 14:57
Davies is new MAG chair - Business - News - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/business/s/1100429_davies_is_new_mag_chair)

Skipness One Echo
5th Mar 2009, 20:18
Also, I am not a planespotter and to start throwing childish slurs around is just pointless, it adds nothing to the post other than a sense of arrogance

This from virgin_cc_wannabe......because that Etihad post is a bit spotterish. Just a bit. Me? I'm just an enthusiast......*cough* Come out the closet mate :)

mantug01
5th Mar 2009, 21:25
Virgin_CC is correct

Etihad are operating the A346 tomorrow and the reg is correct.

You've got to be some sort of spotter or have a professional interest in the goings on at the airport on to be here reading these posts! A rare a/c type into MAN would be of interest to quite a few people and be relevent.

virgin_cc_wannabe
6th Mar 2009, 05:59
ok, firstly why was my post about etihad delted, and secondly, why bother with that post skipiness.

People say they want facts on here, so I post a fact and somehow its still not good enough. I give up, its like a creche in here sometimes!

TURIN
6th Mar 2009, 10:21
He's right you know! A340 @ MAN (http://tasmanchester.co.uk/MAN_Reports.html)

I still think this sort of stuff belongs in the spotters forum. Anyone who works at the airport and is involved with the turn round will already know about it surely. :ok:

MUFC_fan
7th Mar 2009, 13:40
Other forum on about El Al looking to come back to the field. I don't know how true these rumours are but I would suspect a 738 twice weekly if there was any truth?

uncovered
10th Mar 2009, 10:54
Encouraged by BA's growing lack of interest in LGW I'm hearing strong rumours that EZY will open up LGW-MAN on a 4 daily basis. Anyone hearing the same?

Skipness One Echo
10th Mar 2009, 11:09
Do we really need more *FLIGHTS* from Manchester to London?

GrahamK
10th Mar 2009, 11:37
Skipness, of course we do. How else are those "Plane Stupid" people going to get down to London to protest? :8

rkenyon
10th Mar 2009, 12:01
The latest money making scam....

T1 security are refusing to accept plastic bags that have not been purchased from MAN (2 for £1). So, if you turn up with your existing bag, you will be refused and have to purchase a MAN version.

You just couldn't make it up...

It's only a trial at T1 at the moment.

flying macaco
10th Mar 2009, 12:11
at least you could use the second bag to save a pound on your next ryanair flight... :}

learjet50
10th Mar 2009, 12:41
Gentlemen

Heard VLM are cutting back on the LCY Route for the end of the Month ???

Any Details ??

I cant see EZY Starting LGW they would surely waste GatwickSlots on a short sector flight might be wrong or are they Buying Gatwick

It could then be called Easywick

Regards

Skipness One Echo
10th Mar 2009, 14:30
T1 security are refusing to accept plastic bags that have not been purchased from MAN (2 for £1). So, if you turn up with your existing bag, you will be refused and have to purchase a MAN version.

Is this legal? So if I get a bag from BAA Gatwick and fly up for a meeting I am FORBIDDEN to use it and FORCED to buy another one? ( assuming it's rolled out to T3. )

conradmueller
10th Mar 2009, 15:30
I don´t think this is legal.

lexxity
10th Mar 2009, 16:15
According to the MAPLC CSA's the buying of bags is certainly coming to T3.

Skipness One Echo
10th Mar 2009, 16:56
What's a CSA? I feel a strongly worded letter coming on. Seriously though guys, what the Hell is going on at MAN? This would never have happened in the past as they used to treat their customers like people, not captive shoppers to be fleeced and herded.

dollydaydream
10th Mar 2009, 17:41
A couple of weeks ago, a positioning crew member through T3 was made to remove all toiletries, for a 2 night stopover, from a transparent zip top bag into the postage stamp size bags that are now being sold. On protesting she was told it had to be a sealable bag (zip/seal??) and that all 'that stuff' wasn't needed!!! The bag in question has been through daily security in other airports before and since.
Talking to a more reasonable security guy I was told that the legal requirement is a transparent, re-sealable bag and nothing more. I sincerely hope someone challenges this latest travesty at MAN

Redcap49
10th Mar 2009, 17:48
According to the DFT website,passengers are expected to present their carry-on liquids in a "single,transparent,re-sealable plastic bag(about the size of a small freezer bag) which itself must not exceed 1 litre in capacity(approx 20cm x 20cm)".
So in my opinion security are out of order if they are insisting that you buy the bags from one of their vending machines as long as you conform to the DFT requirements.
Sounds like another way of Manchester Airport trying to make money out of the public.

lexxity
10th Mar 2009, 18:03
Sorry, customer service agent, i.e. the bods in the purple shirts that man the 1st batch of security podiums that you come to. I will not be purchasing clear bags to take my liquids through, stuff that I do need on a daily basis at work, that's just wrong.

globetrotter79
10th Mar 2009, 19:01
So if one passes through MAN T1 with their own plastic sealed bag with legal liquids contained WITH a printed copy both of the UK DfT regulations and whatever gumpfh MAN Airport publish on their website (am sure that will now change overnight) relating to the legal size and shape of such bags the local Security will STILL turn you away?

MAN have got to be very stupid to push ahead with this one! It is only a matter of time (one thinks of the schools easter hols coming up, for example) before they pee off so many people that the national press gets hold of this. I can just imagine the Sun newspaper headlines now!

What an incredibly stupid thing to do at a time when all airports ought to be bending over backwards to help their airlines RETAIN passenger custom. This will simply play right into the hands of LPL.

Might not appear a big deal to the MAN airport management but then, as they say, the Devil is in the detail...

GavinC
10th Mar 2009, 19:18
I think the regulations / guidelines refer to a size for the bag. About A5 size if i remember rightly as well as that it has to be re-sealable.

mickyman
10th Mar 2009, 19:23
Globetrotter79

Does that mean that you and all the other
Sun readers will bugger off to Liverpool then ?

MM

Still thinking about that one.......................

GavinC
10th Mar 2009, 19:28
£15m plan for 'Airport City' - Business - News - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/business/s/1101427_15m_plan_for_airport_city)

Tulsablue
10th Mar 2009, 20:44
A new express coach service linking DIRECT MAN with LPL:D starts on 1st May. Running every hour 24/7, there will be airport and airline staff fares available. Full route is from Manchester Picc-Manchester Airport-Warrington-Widnes-Liverpool John Lennon-Liverpool Lime St, every hour in each direction. Hi-spec coach including Wi-Fi.

More info when availablehttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

MUFC_fan
10th Mar 2009, 21:19
Says the development will also include the runways over the coming years.

As far as I know the runways can take anything at any time so will this mean the taxiway down to the end of 5R?

virgin_cc_wannabe
10th Mar 2009, 21:35
I think it was the final plan for Runway 2. Due to environmentalists, they had to abandon the full legnth taxiway to minimailse space needed.

A full legnth taxiway will enable more convinient alternation, rather than using the turning circle then backtracking

Suzeman
11th Mar 2009, 22:33
From the MEN article

Sir Howard Bernstein, chief executive of Manchester City Council, which has a 55 per cent stake in Manchester Airport Group, said: "It's a stunning opportunity to build on the airport's continued growth, and it is unlikely this could be created anywhere else in the UK.

The airport is planning for the long term, with passenger numbers expected to more than double to 50 million a year by 2030. Sir Howard said the recent slide in passenger numbers during the recession was a 'short-term blip' and added: "We have to prepare ourselves for the next 10 to 15 years.

Airport's continued growth? Short term blip?

There has been no growth since 2005, long before the current recession reared its head. Manchester reached the 22m mark in 2005 and there the figures stayed until 2008 when the downward trend started. The current 12 month figure is 20.7m, below that achieved in 2004.

So in the next 21 years, it is going up by 29m to 50m - in simple arithmetic an increase of around 1.4 m a year every year. Can't be a*rsed to do the compound growth sum but I think that is about 5 % growth every year.......and that doesn't feel right especially given performance before the recession kicked in.

Isn't the UK market now mature with small growth rates overall? High % growth, especially from a large base can only come from an increasing market share - and MAN has been losing share for several years, especiallly to LPL down the road.

However nothing wrong with planning for the long term and if the Airport City happens, it will no doubt be good for jobs in the long run even if the airport doesn't grow as predicted as it doesn't seem to be directly linked to pax throughput.

I think it was the final plan for Runway 2. Due to environmentalists, they had to abandon the full legnth taxiway to minimailse space needed.

A full legnth taxiway will enable more convinient alternation, rather than using the turning circle then backtracking

Not sure what you mean by alternation - if you mean what happens at LHR, you can't do it with MAN's runways as they are too closely spaced and the thresholds are staggered. Hence there was little need for a parallel taxiway on 23L as the runway could only be used for departures in the 23 direction (or landings in the 05 direction) in a two runway operation. A parallel taxiway would only be used on the rare occasions when 05R/23L is used as a single runway and the cost (including a longer Bollin Tunnel) and environmental impact didn't stack up.

IF (big if) the rules change and the runways could both be used in mixed mode together there would be a need for a parallel. I'm not holding my breath.

Suzeman

AndyH52
12th Mar 2009, 11:55
Using 05R for departures would surely be a bad idea anyway? Which operators would be happy at the prospect of taxying best part of 2 miles to get to the threshold? It can take long enough to get to 05L especially if you're taxying from T2!!

As for the airport city idea, it worries me that MAG would be considering investing in yet more off site, non-core activities at a time when the key airport infrastructure is in need of investment. I appreciate that if you have the cash at the minute (which not many do) you can get premium land at a knock down price which may help bolster the balance sheet in the future. The fact remains that to build out such a development will be a further drain on capital resources and won't deliver any benefits in terms of additional revenues for years. :=

philbky
12th Mar 2009, 12:25
There are plenty of airports around the world with taxying distances as great or greater and plenty with queues so long that the fuel burn is far greater than that for a 05R Manchester departure.

looseheadprop
12th Mar 2009, 12:31
Yup, uncovered - also heard serious rumblings about EZY looking at 4xdaily LGWMAN......?

strid
13th Mar 2009, 14:11

Any ideas on what aircraft type I'm most likely to be flying on? This info will help me decide if I should pre book seats to ensure we're together, aircraft config etc.

Thanks

aidoair
13th Mar 2009, 14:33

Any ideas on what aircraft type I'm most likely to be flying on? This info will help me decide if I should pre book seats to ensure we're together, aircraft config etc.

Should be a Thomson Airways 757-200.

Ex-RN
13th Mar 2009, 17:18
I had to buy a bag (well 2 for £1) @ LPL the other week when going to BCL - because the zip lock bag I had was 25cm x 25cm and not 20x20 The Tosser was loving it you'd think he worked for Peel not G4S :mad:

Ex-RN
13th Mar 2009, 17:57
Right, I've got my zip lock bag ready for a MAN/HEL flight in 2 weeks.
Its an american bag, 20.5cm x 18 cm. The quantity is 1 Quart (US).
Wikipedia tells me that that is:- 0.946352946 ltrs.
Ive got my DfT regulation print out as well.
I dont need any liquids really so will put a couple of things in I was binning anyway.
I will put my lighter in as that counts towards my allowance (but DfT say that can be screened seperately).
Right , I'm ready, bring on the Jobsworths !!!!!
Sadly though, I cant believe I have go through this :mad: comedy sketch !!!!!

busz
13th Mar 2009, 23:45
Keep us informed of how u get on Ex!

LHR27C
14th Mar 2009, 00:51
Using 05R for departures would surely be a bad idea anyway? Which operators would be happy at the prospect of taxying best part of 2 miles to get to the threshold?

Make sure you don't fly out of AMS when 36L is in use!

Skipness One Echo
14th Mar 2009, 01:04
Department for Transport - Liquids and air travel - what are the requirements? (http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/airtravel/airportsecurity/requirements)

20x20 for 1 litre volume it is.

IB4138
16th Mar 2009, 14:50
Amazing happening last Monday. From touchdown to being outside T3 with my baggage, just 15 minutes. :ok:

However yesterday's return to AGP marred by a "blue nasty" security person.

Since when have security had the role of checking hand baggage size at MAN?

Bad, ill mannered, stout, balding, scowling, bespectacled and ignorant individual encountered yesterday at the ticket gate of T3 security. " Have you put that bag in the gauge?" was the question he uttered. "Yes, at check in and it fits well inside." I replied. "Come with me, I want to see" and takes me back to a Manchester Airport gauge at security entrance. When the bag fitted, the individual uttered "Umh" and let me pass. No "please, sorry" or any other intelligible word could he find.

I mentioned this individuals behavior to another pleasant, smiling security chap at the scanning machine and on pointing him out was told that he behaved that way to his colleagues and apologized for him.

So can somebody tell me, as well as who gave security the right to check bags for size, why is the ignoramus in a job? He is bad for the airport's image.

Or better still can anybody PM me with Muirhead's email address?

StoneyBridge Radar
16th Mar 2009, 15:24
Bad, ill mannered, stout, balding, scowling, bespectacled and ignorant individual encountered yesterday at the ticket gate of T3 security. "

Or better still can anybody PM me with Muirhead's email address?

Are you sure you didn't bump into him yesterday on Security ? :} :E

MUFC_fan
16th Mar 2009, 15:27
VS are looking at expanding into the short haul market, presumably to feed their long haul operation from LHR but how will they do for slots? Until the 3rd runway is complete, there is very little...

What about seeing VA short haul at MAN? Lots of space and lots of opportunities. Seeing a copy of Virgin America at MAN would be pretty amazing!:ok:

Skipness One Echo
16th Mar 2009, 16:49
Short haul in Europe is falling and we are in a recession, the like of which we have never seen. Yields are dying, the majors are bleeding cash and even the locos are feeling the pain.

So does anyone familiar with Branson think he's actually got the working capital to undertake this massive new venture and underwrite the start up losses for 3-5 years?

Where would Virgin sit in the market? In the space vacated by BA? Filled to an extent by legacy carriers serving their foreign hubs, ie KLM / Air France / Lufthansa. In the low cost space where an increasingly vengeful and dangerous Ryanair lurk? Is he going to take on Stelios?

Come on guys get real, it's Branson. Classic attempt to divert attention from trouble at Virgin Atlantic ( not a criticism of a good airline, they're all in trouble to a greater or lesser extent ! ) by saying "Here's some amazing things we want to do but we know we never will."

MUFC_fan
16th Mar 2009, 17:07
The recession isn't something that lasts forever, it comes around every now and again as the economic cycle flows.

In 2 years it is expected to be the best time to start making investments.

commit aviation
16th Mar 2009, 20:43
Very true - but you have to get through those difficult 2 years first to be in a position to take advantage of the upturn when it comes.
Knowing when to press the "invest" button is a calculated gamble - those who get it right stand to make the big bucks.....

simonchowder
18th Mar 2009, 14:50
Heard today Singapore are pulling out of Manchester , i hope its a unfounded rumour anyone know the truth, thanks

spannersatcx
18th Mar 2009, 16:14
If you look a bit further back in this thread you will see that they are reducing to 3x a week, Wed, Sat, Sun.

Ringwayman
18th Mar 2009, 18:06
Ryanair increasing their Charleroi service to daily from 5th June.

Dr Illitout
18th Mar 2009, 18:58
Great!!!! Now when the staff have to go through security we have to take our belts off!!!! Nothing like starting the day being treated like a criminal:mad:

Rgds Dr I

johnnychips
18th Mar 2009, 21:22
Most belts have a metal buckle which would cause the machine to beep, in which case the security officer would have to investigate, get the passenger to take the belt off, then pass him through again to make sure it wasn't just the belt.

Sounds a sensible time-saving idea to me.

Egerton Flyer
18th Mar 2009, 23:46
I'm not a frequent flyer, but over time have learnt that when going through security or before getting to the scanner, it's much easier to remove your belt and put other items like watch, wallet etc in your hand luggage.
But I'm just a member of the public;)
Having said that, if you pass through multiple times during the day I suppose it could be a pain. But rules is rules and if I as a member of the public have to do it why shouldn't staff etc.
EF

MAN777
19th Mar 2009, 07:28
Why not just get trousers that fit !!

Johnny F@rt Pants
19th Mar 2009, 09:01
But rules is rules and if I as a member of the public have to do it why shouldn't staff etc.

1) Because, sometimes, we have to do it several times per day.

2) Because we have been security screened to be able to work airside.

3) Because we have better things than a belt at our disposal if we really felt that way inclined.

4) Because my belt didn't set off the machine last week, the week before or any time in the past.

5) Because I only have a limited time to get to the aeroplane before a delay is inevitable, and removing my belt just adds to the time it's going to take.

6) Because there's then delays at the other side of the security gate where everyone's replacing their belts.

Any more for any more................

TURIN
19th Mar 2009, 12:02
Any more for any more................

Yup, only ferrous belt buckles will set it off. Mine's some sort of white metal alloy. Never sets it off, hasn't done so for 20+ years.

There's more metal in my watch strap but I don't need to take that off, and that doesn't set the alarm off either.

I have a metal plate in my arm, that doesn't set the alarm off.

This has nought to do with keeping us more secure but lots more to reducing the staff at security. Less beeps = less wanding/frisking = less staff.

And another thing what is all this wanding of the soles of your feet all about?

So for all terrorists out there, just wrap your gun/weapon/bits of bomb etc around your wrist and pretend it's a watch. :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Alternatively just secure the bits around the chassis of a catering wagon and waltz straight in.

Why not just get trousers that fit !!

Cos I can't hang a torch/radio & Leatherman (with a 3" blade) on my trousers. :p

But rules is rules and if I as a member of the public have to do it why shouldn't staff etc.

Because the staff do not need bombs/guns/knifes etc to bring an aircraft down.
A Pilot just points the front end of his ride down a bit, a Loader just trims the aircraft incorrectly or 'forgets' to secure a load, a Maintenance Engineer has so many ways to bring an aeroplane down using his own knowledge and light fingered approach to his job that you really don't want to go there. :ooh:

The events of Sept 11th 2001 were caused by passengers not airport staff. :*

Security my arris!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: