jubilee
16th May 2010, 15:49
Helen49, Thanks.
Jubilee

learjet50
16th May 2010, 17:58
MUFC Fan

I agree with u

There was obviously a pissed off EK Pilot Maybe the No 1 said no the night before ..

Just because he has a biggish toy in his pram does not mean he is No 1

The ATC Guy did rite he told this arseole and apologised for the runway inspection what more can he do the Airport Ops guy had told ATC he wanted a Runway inspection Fine .

Would the EK Captain have been happy to let ATC let him go because he was EMIRATES and then he runs over something on the Runway has a Tyre blow and an emergency NO

Well done ATC this tosser in his EK 777 was totally out of order

Wud get my vote for Tosser of the Month at Manchester.

He cant just stamp his feet and everbody stands aside he is a Pilot Just like anybody else and has to do as he is told

I Hope hes reading this and if he does not like it Pxxs off back to the USA or werever you were conceived and let some of the English pilots get a job Like u have

SIR (CAPTAIN) you are an utter Wxxker

chiglet
16th May 2010, 18:45
This procedure is designed to cause minimum inconvenience to aircraft operators whilst at the same time providing adequate inspection routines.

Yes, I know that, :ugh: but, as MA have as much info as ATC, [the "evening rush", etc] why can they not be flexible as to R/w ins...after all, any repeat ANY incident on the active, requires an inspection, so allowing x a/c to land, rather than burn [uneccessary?] fuel...just may be a good [Green] thing

42psi
16th May 2010, 22:22
As has already been pointed out ..... the aerodrome manual states the times and procedures followed.

In fact the times are "flexible" to an extent.

The scheduled inspections do not take place without first consulting with the Watch Manager to select a suitable time .... i.e. one which causes no or little disruption.

Bear in mind the intended times are published so it's not a case of having a sudden and unexpected scheduled runway inspection :E

That call is generally along the lines of "... need to get a routine runway inspection in on 23R/23L/both, when's a good time?"

It is actually not unheard of that if the watch manager advises "now's a bad time, looks better in XX minutes" or such like, then that's exactly what happens and later another call is made.

Sometime the response is "where are you, can get you on after the 75 on short finals, otherwise it'll be a while...." .. now that one can raise a sweat :O

Yes it's MAplc's train set and yes the inspections need to be done regularly and in accordance with the requirements of the aerodrome manual.

But, it's always mindful of customer needs and I've personally never been aware of any time when the advice of ATC has been ignored on when the inspection should take place.

On this ocassion Ops3 will not have just rolled up to Juliet 1 and that's the first that the tower knew of the inspection being required.

Ops3 will have made the call to the watch manager first, been told (probably) what the last movement a/c (arrival or departure & callsign) would be before he could do the inspection, he's listened for that one being given it's instructions & then has called the tower to confirm he's in position.

Now all that doesn't mean that every single inspection can be done without troubling someone, but generally everyone does try to avoid that.

No-one wants to complete an inspection and then have to backtrack half the runway to vacate ... :E

For other ad-hoc inspections/bird runs if you listen you'll hear often hear something like "routine" or "if traffic permits" etc mentioned when making the request .... that's an invitation to ATC to say it's not convenient right now, can you go away and come back later. :ok:

If there's a positive need to enter a runway then that will usually be identified to the controller when making the request.

It normally works well ..... but, sometimes someone doesn't like their day ....:ooh:

european130
17th May 2010, 03:09
Just watching on flightradar 24 that BA28 and VS201 are coming off the coast of Holland for LHR, which does not open for another 3hours if the 07:00 opening time holds, Any chance Manchester can open its arms to
something from LHR????

european130
17th May 2010, 03:15
Sorry l should have said BA26 and it has just turned North West over the North Sea heading for Ipswich, we may be getting this one - its G-CIVW. Does anybody have any info if its us or PIK maybe

european130
17th May 2010, 03:24
Looks like BA is going into Stansted, forgot that was still open... sorry for getting anybody's hopes up.....

eggc
17th May 2010, 09:31
Two Cathay 744's did divert to Manchester this morning, both departed back to LHR soon after 0800.

Skipness One Echo
17th May 2010, 12:52
Safety should never be 'liaised' with. It should always been of paramount importance!

You have misunderstood my point. It should be possible to manage peaks and troughs in the traffic flow to get an inspection done without having an aircraft idle like that.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
17th May 2010, 14:29
Is there an ongoing issues with the 23R ILS? Maybe related to nightly WIP?
I see there is a NOTAM in place until at least 17.00 advising no ILS 23R

There seem to be a large number of inbounds on VOR/DME approaches onto 23R today, and more than usual using this approach in recent weeks when 23 ops have been used.

Bob_Harris_721
17th May 2010, 16:21
Calling whoever it is who runs the car parks:

You have redesigned Staff West without telling anyone. Staff can't drive in where they've always been used to. Unfortunately there aren't even any new signs so the whole area is a mass of confused staff, reversing cars and unhappy bus drivers. All you've done is cover up the old sign.

Would it really be too much trouble to put up a big notice that people can actually see?

I tried to talk to you in person but your team went home at 4.45pm.

Please, let's have a little more thought and consideration. There is enough disruption and emotion around at the moment without you making things worse. Thanks.

Tight Seat
18th May 2010, 09:07
I agree Bob, its like trying to escape a Harry Potter nightmare getting out of staff west. I cannot see any advantage to the new system.

Also, I'm sure when it went from 1 bus for T1 and 1 for T2 we were told it would always be a big bendy bus. We seem to get the small bus most of the time. I have had a full small bus sail past on more than once at the bottom stop.

roverman
18th May 2010, 12:49
This week the RCMS (remote control and monitoring system) on the ILS is being worked on, to tie in the feeds from the newly installed 05L system. This requires both ends of the ILS to be off, it is not a fault with the system which is driving the use of VOR/DME. The end is now in sight for the ILS project. Flight commissioning checks of the new 05L take place later this month. After that it is snagging, burn-in, and certification.

lexxity
18th May 2010, 14:38
Used staff west last friday and there were pax waiting at the staff bus stops, what's that all about then?

SplashDown
19th May 2010, 17:28
Lexxity,

Could be because the barriers are up on the entrance where we turn left towards Staff West (well, been up on the entry all last week since the changes). If you were off on your hols and saw a barrier up wouldn't you go for it?

I hope they sort it out soon coz its not too cleaver around the 6am rush! I'm sure they know what they are doing :ok:

Splashdown

mantug01
19th May 2010, 19:35
The new staff car park layout is an accident waiting to happen!

I aggree with Bob_Harris_721

They have moved the barriers and access but not the road markings/arrows, i was head to head today with a car coming the opposite way as we could't see each other due to all the cars double parked and the road is only one car wide!

If its going to stay like this they need to make it one way (not that anyone will)
Yet another expert design from MAG

Bob_Harris_721
19th May 2010, 20:33
Well, the sign has arrived, directing staff into the new entrance - except that it is beyond the old entrance and tucked well to the side so that it can't actually be seen until you have found the new entrance - by which time you don't actually need the sign.

And then you turn in and go through the barrier. Turn left and you get to go down a narrow single track along the edge, dodging those cars that can't fit into their spaces, and with frequent attacks from joining vehicles. Turn right and you find yourself along the other edge, which is also a single track - but this time it's two-way and therefore extremely exciting.

Health and Safety, where are you when we really need you?

TSR2
19th May 2010, 20:54
Can you not negotiate special staff rates on the public long term car parks ?

Just a question.

Tight Seat
20th May 2010, 17:06
Staff West is not free, I think our spotty airline pay something in the order of 250 per year for each space. We should be treated with a little repect. Not asking for the world, all I want is an easy trip to work, the airport play with the car park but do sweet fa for the airside guys. Great ATC sh1t infrastucture. Try parking on 11 when the wind is blowing! Or as I had a few months back when the mirror is frosted up! Welcome to Manchester International Airport! Dont get me on about OCS........... ( not the boys and girls pushing the great lazy mass, the ones in charge!)RANT RANT RANT RANT:ugh:

Adola69
20th May 2010, 21:10
I'm led to believe that the Famous AVP is to undergo re-naming to the Runway Viewing Park (RVP), in order to "Stimulate" more business!! (Probably will by confusing the Fire brigades who are instructed to use Emergency Rendevous Points, - eRVP's!)

Well that's really going to drag thousands through the gates isn't it (If this is indeed true) !!??

When will somebody with a bit of vision grasp hold of the opportunity and turn this into the Northwest Aviation Heritage Park and place more exhibits within it to really make it worthwhile visiting. I'd imagine that everyone whose interested in "Planes" in NW England has seen Concorde by now - boring. Along with the newly aquired Nimrod, how about displaying a Tornado, Jaguar, HS.125, etc that have all got North-West connections in that they were designed and built here.(Plenty of Tornados being chopped at Leeming at present).
I recently visited a Museum at Hermeskiel in Germany. Situated right in the middle of nowhere at all, no airfield within miles of it, on the side of hill and filled to the gunnels with all-sorts of interesting exhibits, including a Dan-Air Comet ! The punters were there in abundance to.
Come on MA, either make it worthwhile or stop trying to re-invent by just a name change. The place has become a tired, and when wet, a muddy and expensive field that just makes my car look as if it's been round two laps of a local quarry!.:rolleyes:

wiccan
20th May 2010, 21:47
Tight seat,
Before MACC closed, we used to park in T1 or T3 MSCPs...dunno what was paid to MA, tho'
bb

AUTOGLIDE
21st May 2010, 07:18
Staff West has always been awful, a bad layout with blind junctions combined with some utterly appalling driving. It's like the wacky races on the best of days. I've never been anywhere that so many stupid people pulled out straight in front of me causing emergency stops and near misses.

lexxity
21st May 2010, 09:18
Been back on shift all week and have had a near miss on every day due to the appalling staff west. Queing to get in for a 5am start is just plain stupid and the layout is just dangerous and there is going to be a massive accident there sooner or later. :mad::mad:

MARK9263
21st May 2010, 09:38
Says a lot about whats happening at the airport when all we can continually talk about is this...! Yawnnnn....zzz

Betablockeruk
21st May 2010, 11:10
:zzz: yep.

Still waiting for Brunei's 'expansion plans'. So many rumours turn to dust... or is that ash?

MAPlc have a new iPhone app out and it's free!

Ah well, back to :zzz: :zzz:

RoyHudd
21st May 2010, 15:58
I am stating this in the hope that something is done about it. Anyone not obliged to use the place won't understand. Recent and costly layout changes make the place a health hazard.

dwlpl
21st May 2010, 16:19
Ring up the H&S Exec and ask them to pay a site visit.

If they dont and something happens then they will be culpable too.

lexxity
21st May 2010, 20:05
May as well report it to the wall, Roy. I rang the HSE about the staff west bus which is a joke whilst pregnant, it's hot, crowded and the drivers could give Lewis Hamilton a run for his money (people will not stand up for you, I nearly fainted again tonight and got off and walked instead), they referred me to Manchester Council, who took my report and then referred me back to the HSE who sent me back to the council. :ugh: :{

Staff West is downright dangerous.

One of the bus drivers told me today that we are to get speed bumps down the main entrance before the barriers. He said it wouldn't stop the buses speeding as they would be wide enough to just speed over them!

Momentary Lapse
21st May 2010, 22:35
Re Staff West - it won't be a bad accident as speeds are likely to be low, and seat belts/airbags etc. will save people from injury. Inconvenient yes; bad no. Not to detract from the fact it's always been a crock of ****e.

Re AVP - I seem to recall there's a planning permission/use classes issue, that as it's ancillary to the airport it can't be allowed to get too big in its own right, otherwise it becomes a tourist attraction or something, which isn't what the airport is for. It's an airport, not a leisure destination. That'd mess up the traffic volumes for the M56, air and noise quality, utility services, drainage and so on.

Bagso
23rd May 2010, 12:18
re AVP..

well at £9 for 3 hours its certainly being charged as though its a tourist attraction...!

RingwaySam
24th May 2010, 06:59
Airport closed, apparently theres been a security breach. Lots of aircraft diverting away. Any more information on whats happened?

Suzeman
24th May 2010, 07:11
Thought to be tree huggers through the fence

I believe they have also sent up a camp somewhere near the Cargo Centre

May be connected with this from UK Airport News

Environmental protesters targeted a Manchester council meeting this week – using a 9ft inflatable elephant, the Evening News reports. The Stop Airport Expansion campaign group erected the elephant, with the message 'Manchester Airport - the elephant in the room', outside the town hall.

The group is angry that town hall environment chiefs have omitted flight emissions from the council's climate change dossier, Manchester: A Certain Future. This report sets out ways of cutting carbon levels in the city over the next 10 years.

A spokesman told the newspaper: ‘We don't think the council is being fair about the impact aviation is going to have on meeting climate change targets. We believe investment in low carbon industries and rail will be better for the city and want a debate about the airport [which is council owned] and exactly how beneficial it really is to the region.’

al446
24th May 2010, 19:01
BBC News - Climate protest mounted at Manchester Airport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8700156.stm) this is what it was all about. Strange that those wanting to prevent pollution choose a tactic that causes diversions, which causes more usage, which causes more pollution/greenhouse gasses. Oh well....

Adola69
24th May 2010, 23:06
On Tuesday evening, ( 24.5.10), it is planned to move the Nimrod from its present location on stand 72 to its final place in the AVP ( Aviation Viewing Park), or RVP (Runway Viewing Park) or RVA (Runway Viewing Area) or RATOA (Runway and Taxiway Observation Area) or TPWISASFITNSWIWJAF (The Place Where I Sat And Spotted From In The Nineten Sixties When It Was Just A Field) - not a lot of a change then!?

How very dare they?

Adola.:}

wanna_be_there
26th May 2010, 17:19
Manchester has just been selected as the main diversion airport for its BRU-USA and LHR services. This could pave the way for some services as it technically sets up a groundstation.

So, despite BHX sending off over 20000 signitures for an Indian carrier, they have chosen MAN for this. Shows exactly what they think of BHX.

Also to note, MAN is officialy designated as a 'star alliance hub' according to the alliance. Makes things interesting as the only other ones are the 'main' airports such as FRA/MUC/BRU/LHR/VIE/ZRH

bjones4
26th May 2010, 17:42
Interesting choice of location for the Nimrod - in the carpark

http://tasreports.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/xv231-royal-air-force-nimrod-mr2-w.jpg

Scottie Dog
26th May 2010, 17:43
Do we assume you are referring to Jet Airways as you mention no name??:rolleyes:

Bagso
26th May 2010, 19:00
With no airspace let alone runway capacity available in the South East and no expansion for many years to come there is only one other option and whatever people may think that is Manchester, it has both terminal and runway capacity, as well as excellent road rail and frequent air links to the rest of the UK and Europe.

The combined population of the major cities North of Birmingham is more than the SE !

Its crazy , just needs some joined up thinking !

A Governement which will support MAN as a major hub and isn't London Centric.
Runway landing fees that are "competitive" and NOT pitched higher than LHR.
Fares that are on a par with those in the SE and not higher.
Local media which offers holidays to New York, Dubai etc from MAN NOT LHR ....where amazingly guys a direct flight exists !
A marketing dept that is vocal rather than deafeningly silent !
Codeshares which are equitable and favour travel via MAN as well as LHR.
A travelling public who are empowered to fly locally and direct !

...i'm sure there is more that can be done !:ok:

ZOOKER
26th May 2010, 19:34
"it has both runway and terminal capacity".
- Except when the runway is closed for a scheduled inspection. :E

MUFC_fan
26th May 2010, 19:47
I wonder if they are sending that pilot back any time soon?;)

Hopefully the government's economically idiotic decision will benefit Manchester!

spacegrand
26th May 2010, 19:49
Which Airline carries the most Pax out of MAN ? Second and Third would be good too .Thanks.

wanna_be_there
26th May 2010, 19:58
Sorry I had complete blindness to the name in my earlier post, it was jet airways.

In terms of largest, I think jet2 had the claim to largest amount of leisure traffic, but not sure of the actual numbers.

MUFC_fan
26th May 2010, 20:05
I would guess that TOM and BE would be up at the top.

TCX, ZB and LS would also be up there, the latter more so after this summer.

wanna_be_there
26th May 2010, 20:16
I dont think BE will have that large a number. Despite frequency, they only operate Dash-8's and E195's, against the B757's and A320 family of the charters.
Id imagine easyjet have a large number with their 5 based units, 4 of them being A320's and even a based away A319 for the Genevas.

Talking of easyjet, there seems to be speculation that the DSA frame will be shifted to MAN in January, as all winter routes for DSA end in December, but all other winter timetables go right through to Feb. Mix this with talk that a 6th based frame will be added to the fleet, and AMS is being added to MAN's schedules (a DSA route), it seems to add up.

AircraftOperations
27th May 2010, 10:59
I thought ZB and TCX were pretty high up in the pax stakes at MAN - and TOM as well, after they took on FCA.
Believe BE have the most movements.

Ringwayman
27th May 2010, 19:11
BE have announced a 6 weekly service to Manston from September with Jet2 adding Hurghada in October and Bodrum next May.

Bagso
29th May 2010, 09:06
United Utilities boss to be Manchester Airport chief - Manchester Evening News (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/business/s/1241395_____united_utilities_boss_to_be_manchester_airport_c hief)

Well looks like a senior Board member from United Utilities is set to be MAG boss.

Personally I think it would have been nice to pick up a boss with a successful and sustained track record in aviation, with influences at Government level, but I guess we will have to wait and see ..........

He is is Ex BAe so I guesss thats something and at least the baton hasn't been automatically handed to somebody already on the MAG board.

I'm still trying to work out how the present incumbent managed a "significant performance bonus" in 2009 BUT based on figures for 2007-2008

I'm all for rewarding performance but hang on, we were deep in recession by end of 2008 !!!:ugh:

Comments anybody ?

Suzeman
29th May 2010, 11:39
I'm still trying to work out how the present incumbent managed a "significant performance bonus" in 2009 BUT based on figures for 2007-2008

I'm all for rewarding performance but hang on, we were deep in recession by end of 2008

AFAIK the Airport's Financial year is April to March, so this would refer to the results for the year from April 2007 to March 2008. I guess the bonus would then be paid in the year 2008-9 and appear in the annual results for that financial year. This is probably the latest information to hand, as it is a bit early for the 2009-10 results to be out yet

Assuming the appointment of a new MAG CX is confirmed, it's going to get very confusing, with the CX and the MAN MD both called Cornish. Perhaps it'll become known as the Charlie and Andrew show?:)

Are they in any way related? I think we should be told......

Suzeman

Mr A Tis
29th May 2010, 16:25
:eek:
According to the Consumer Council for water, United Utilities had the highest increase in customer complaints in 2008/9 (up 11,000 on the previous year) than any other provider.
It will be interesting to see how the MAG approach to customer service
is handled under the new Management. I was hoping for some significant improvement...............but we shall wait & see.

Bagso
29th May 2010, 16:43
...Ice Creams all round !

ZOOKER
29th May 2010, 22:54
Seems to me a logical appointment, especially as the airport is slowly going down the pan/tubes/drain/pipes*.

*Delete as applicable.

Bagso
30th May 2010, 07:30
See "Heathrow Plans 3rd Runway scrapped Thread"

BHX should hopefully be the biggest winner ?

Birmingham Airport Welcomes New Thinking Outlined in The Queen's Speech - Birmingham Airport

Birmingham Offers Solution to the 'Heathrow Problem' - Birmingham Airport

Do we actually have a marketing/PR dept at Manchester ?

......I refer to this thread as it precisly illustrates the real lack of ambition at MAN. The biggest announcement in years on the future of UK aviation and the noise from MAG marketing and senior managment was deafening........

Meanwhile BHX which punches far above its weight wades in with two stimulating press releases, which actually made Sky News and BBC-R4.

OK I appreciate it "may" be smoke and mirrors, but at least it's publicity and puts BHX in the public eye and more importantly possibly raises the profile in the minds of the Government .

It's not as if this wasn't coming, it was an excellent opportunity to do a bit of flag waving and get some national exposre on the back of a Governement announcement.

It's infuriating and just bloody typical to see opportunities missed all the time .....:ugh:

Hopefully "The Water Bearer" can stiffen things up.....

wanna_be_there
30th May 2010, 08:03
It doesnt really need a huge PR announcement.
How many airlines do you know will watch sky news etc and think 'oh, BHX is apparently available'. And when was the last time a new route started over something they saw in the news?
The airlines will already know where they need to go and where has the best infrastructure for future expansion. Its not about the public announcements, its about what goes on behind the scenes.
Also, like I said in the other thread, most expansion of services will come from airlines already serving the south, and if they have a regional station, they will add frequency there rather than set up a new station. This means the likes of AA, BA, VS, JAI, CO, DL will look at MAN as it would be much much easier to set up extra flights there than set up a new station.

Frankly, MAN is quite clever not to announce itself for expansion. BHX may now be the target for protests against this and meanwhile, if MAN is speaking to airlines behind closed doors, can quietly ramp up flights. For example, if AA adds a flight here and there, no one will bat an eyelid because protesters are rarely spotters and think its ok as AA have been flying here since 86, so will just be the usual.

MAN777
30th May 2010, 08:46
There was a press release about Nimrod being put in the AVP (or is it the RVP now) What more do you need !!:rolleyes:

TissieSaffie
1st Jun 2010, 19:12
New A333 routes from VS based at MAN..

Virgin Atlantic Airbus A330-300 Routes/Configuration Information AIRLINE ROUTE (http://airlineroute.net/2010/05/31/vs-333/)

roverman
2nd Jun 2010, 21:39
Things could indeed be looking up for MAN, although the evidence may be a while in coming yet. After a difficult few years MAN now has what LHR, LGW and to a large extent STN don't have - spare capacity at a time when building new airport infrastructure is out of favour. The runways could handle double the number of daily flights, the terminals have lots of capacity outside of the single morning peak hour, the airspace has slack, the surface transport links are already in place or have improvements in the pipeline (Metrolink / Manchester Rail Hub). No big expenditure required then, and crucially, no expansion of the site outside the existing perimeter. This makes environmental sense by using an already developed site to its full capacity rather than concreting other parts of the country and inviting negative attention to the industry. Further investment is required to improve and upgrade some existing facilities for sure - taxiways and older parts of Terminal 1 in particular, but these are not huge sums spread incrementally over several years. MAN has capacity to offer without handing around the hat to customers - it's already been built and the cost covered by existing charges. MAN has a fantastic customer base - dependent on no single airline or airline group. Loss of some high-profile routes over the years has made bad headlines, but think - the recent BA strikes are having negligible effect on MAN, and no one carrier has more than about 15% of total traffic, making the airport highly resilient to airline failures or strategy changes. It remains consistently profitable and has a prudent level of borrowings.

MAN - Owned by the British public, to serve the British public.

Banuthev
3rd Jun 2010, 08:00
I happened to hear BMI's G-WWBB is in UL livery at MAN. Can any one post the picture of the aircraft ? When G-WWBB will be flying to Sri Lanka ? Thanks in Advance.

JG1979
3rd Jun 2010, 16:55
"Do we actually have a marketing/PR dept at Manchester ? ......I refer to this thread as it precisly illustrates the real lack of ambition at MAN. The biggest announcement in years on the future of UK aviation and the noise from MAG marketing and senior managment was deafening........"

Thanks for your comments Bagso. The PR department can be contacted on 0161 489 2700. We are also available on Twitter, the website and via email.

PQC
3rd Jun 2010, 22:03
Irrespective of what we think about MAN, its management team or anything else, outside of LHR it does have the widest range of operators of any airport. This leaves it in a very good place in many respects as you don't have the 'all eggs in one basket' scenario as an increasing number of UK airports are having, being dependent on the likes of EZY and RYR (as are the likes of STN and LGW to an increasing amount).

In fact, of all the UK airports outside of LHR, I think that MAN was uniquely placed to rebuff RYR, even though it resulted in a big hit on PAX. After all, the likes of LPL are posting around double-digit increases in PAX compared to this time last year, but ask yourself, how much money are they making??

As set out in the stratgey to 2030, MAN has the ability to add extra growth to around 30M without "excessive" investment (although significant investment will be required) and with no new runways planned in the SE until at least that date, given the current range of carriers, the major population in the N of England, plus the fact that it has 2 x 3000m runways leaves MAN with a bright future.

It is just a shame that some of the doom-mongers on this site can't look at the long-game rather than the short-term

BHX5DME
4th Jun 2010, 12:29
May Pax - 1,590,747 down 8.21%

12 moths ending 31.05.10 - 17,923,030 down 11.89%

May Movements - 14,301 down 9.51%

Freigh - 10,375 up 34.95%

MARK9263
4th Jun 2010, 15:51
Thanks for the figures.
I dont think May '09 was a great month, and i think RYANAIR had spat their dummy out by then, and there is yet another double digit decrease, i would really like to know what MAPLC marketing have been doing to redress this....!!!!

MUFC_fan
4th Jun 2010, 16:12
i would really like to know what MAPLC marketing have been doing to redress this....!!!!

As soon as tweedle dee and tweedle dum made a promise to ruin London's dominance as the world city for international travel, they basically made MAPLC's marketing department redundant.

There will become a point where there is simply no way for airlines to continue to expand in London and Manchester will benefit from this: 2 runways and tons of slots available. If the marketing department are on commission I think they'll be able to put their kids through Eton should the government hold their idiotic plan for 5+ years.

and i think RYANAIR had spat their dummy out by then

BBC NEWS | Business | Ryanair closing Manchester routes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8205445.stm)

I think you should stop 'thinking...'

Ringwayman
4th Jun 2010, 18:10
Let's see:
BE restoring the seasonal French links, adding a new French link plus 2 new domestic routes
AA restoring their former JFK run (perhaps with the expected ATI making it year-round and not just seasonal - it's slated for a return around 11th May 2011)
DL looks to be going back to year-round for JFK
EK is bringing in the A380 (not a moment too soon) and I expect a frequency bump in the not too distant future.
EY using 777s from the 7th June and hints of them increasing frequency
WW saying that MAN is getting new routes
U2 having the effect of 5 based aircraft this summer (up from 3 last summer) adn I expect new destinations to be added for winter given there is scope within the flying programme (perhaps leading to based aircraft 6 when all this year's summer seasonal routes get restored next summer)
LS adding destinations and bumped up frequencies on a couple of routes
EI stating a daily route to SNN
VS adding a route to LAS and compensating for A330s to Orlando by boosting frequencies
SQ boosting frequency (though it looks like it caausing a bit of drop in pax carried with it beinh shared with MUC)
CX perhaps starting in the short-to-medium term

Rumours of an August announcement for a new long-haul route (not CX I am led to believe).

Adola69
4th Jun 2010, 19:26
Arrived back at Man today and things were actually very very good, UNTIL we tried to get out of T 1 Arrivals Hall - Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear !:\

First of all let me say that until this point it had all been superb. Aircarft arrived on stand without too much delay, the airbridge was attached promptly and we began de-planning within a couple of minutes. Pier C, with all the work being done on the travelators (I think??) looked a we bit tatty, but hey-ho. Arrived at Immigration along with some other pax off a couple of other flights who'd arrived just before us, but it only took a couple of minutes again to get through to baggage reclaim, where our bags were already on the magic roundabout awaiting collection! Top-job to one and all.:D:D:D
However on collecting bags we had to join a queue at the customs point. It didn't matter if it was Goods to declare / nothing to declare/ from within the EU, it was all one big mele.:zzz: There were even some pax from the Emirates flight inbound stuck in this queue (we had just seen the said a/c taxy for departure as we landed), so I don't know what they thought of this debacle. And what caused all this? It was the 3 double-ended automatic exit doors to the public land-side, about 50 yds ahead! One was out of service and barriered off, the middle one was working at 10% capacity, and the other one wasn't working properly at all, as it was permanently open (Both doors). So we had about 450 pax trying to get through one door with all their bags, - farcical.:ugh:

They need about ten doors if they are going to cope with 580 pax off an A.380 all hitting this area along with other pax.

Why is it considered neccessary to put in these choke points? It isn't much better when you emerge into the arrivals concourse, as you have hardly any room for manoevere, but there's plenty of space to sit and have a butty.:=

Come on H2o-man, make this an area to urgently improve, and do it right this time (at the fifth attempt):ok:

Trash_Hauler
5th Jun 2010, 19:46
Simple fact is that the exit doors at baggage reclaim have to be a one way system... We used to have security personnel that sat there but they were deemed to be more expensive than the doors they have in now. Also, how could you possibly know that one of the doors was working at "about 10% capacity"? Me thinks it was more along the lines of the British travelling public's fascination with impersonating lemmings, and all simply queueing up at one door instead of using the other 2 that were available. I see it happen all day long.

HXdave
6th Jun 2010, 00:33
ok, something puzzles me..............

One was out of service and barriered off, the middle one was working at 10% capacity, and the other one wasn't working properly at all, as it was permanently open (Both doors). So we had about 450 pax trying to get through one door with all their bags, - farcical.

so if one set of doors was permanantly open (both doors, as stated in the post), why was everyone trying to get through just 1 set of doors, when there was a straight through clear route?

or am i missing something here?

Hamburg 2K8
6th Jun 2010, 03:01
How's the night time work on the airfield getting on? Taxiway improvements and runway 1 re-surfacing? Completion date before 1st Sep? When is Pier B extenstion work taking place with it's 2 airbridges?

mantug01
6th Jun 2010, 08:47
Airbridge installation is July / August.....Its not leave much time for delays

jubilee
6th Jun 2010, 10:45
With ref. to the exit doors, when we came through on the 29 May, one door was out of action. Although we had no trouble passing through,I could imagine it would cause delay at busy times.

Also noticed on going through security in terminal 1, that some of the lanes had a similar
arrangement,but did not go through one, nor went for a closer inspection.
I think I know why they are fitted,but does anybody know the correct reason.
Jubilee

Momentary Lapse
6th Jun 2010, 22:07
The doors are to stop passengers who've already arrived landside, or meeters and greeters, or staff, from gaining entry to the Customs Hall, and from there to anywhere else airside. Two reasons: they might engage with passengers to defraud Customs, or they might smuggle banned substances/explosives/weapons airside as of course they won't have been x-rayed.

The "duty free" shop corridor is actually landside. The airside/landside boundary is somewhere between the Customs hall and that shop. MA just pretend it's airside to create the impression of "duty free" er "bargains".

Ringway67
6th Jun 2010, 22:49
May 09 figures were boosted by MUFC involvement in the Champions League semi final and final - so probably not as bad as they first apear.

GavinC
7th Jun 2010, 05:13
It shows you just how important European football is for the airport. This season will see United in the Champions League and City in the Europa League which should mean that things improve for the airport on that front assuming they don't both get knocked out early.
To a lesser extent, both Liverpool and Aston Villa are in the Europa league too and opposition fans may choose a scheduled flight to Manchester for those games.

STATSMAN
7th Jun 2010, 08:10
When working in the baggage hall I have to tell passengers not to load their trolleys wide with luggage as it will not go through the doors, but off they go and guess what happens they become trapped in the doors and the queue builds up very quickly. No airport staff in area so this makes matters worse. Passengers don't read the screen adverts about the trolleys.
Why 2 doors in T3 and only 3 in T1 given the number of passengers arriving at T1 at peak times?:ugh:

GavinC
7th Jun 2010, 09:08
Etihad to upgrade to 773 within the next two weeks. No info on the exact date, sorry.

wanna_be_there
7th Jun 2010, 09:40
Etihad B773 is from next monday, its been scheduled to change for a while.
Etihad are also opening a lounge at MAN soo, in preparation for 2xdaily flights in winter.

GavinC
7th Jun 2010, 11:03
Actually, it looks like the 773 will start this Sunday.

Do you know when they intend to open the lounge?

ManofMan
7th Jun 2010, 11:13
First one will be on the 12th June.

Cheers.

HXdave
7th Jun 2010, 13:46
Etihad capacity upgrade was announced 18/02/10.

Hamburg 2K8
7th Jun 2010, 17:16
Re: Airbridge installation at the end of Pier B, this will be gate??? Extension work will bet taking place first I assume? Surley the extension won't be the same height as Pier B currentley is?! I can see it now, given the current height of Pier B and the height of the A380, how stupid it would look compared to the A380 at Heathrow and other international airports it currenyley flies to

L4key
7th Jun 2010, 18:52
Sorry if this has been covered - I did a quick search first but no joy...

Mate of mine says Emirates will be doing two A380 flights a day into Manchester this year. I know they are doing one - but two, seriously?

Aside from the fact I'll believe it when I see it, you know how things can change, is this in their plans currently?

wanna_be_there
7th Jun 2010, 19:06
No its just the one flight, EK17/18.

LHR has only just gone double daily with A380s, so doubt that MAN would get 2 in a day for another 1-2 years at the bare minimum.

Just for the Nay sayers who think F wont work from MAN, it seems there are only a couple of F seats left on the inbounds, still quite a few on the outbounds, but may take time for the people comming in F on the EK17 to go back out again on the EK18.

L4key
7th Jun 2010, 19:22
Cheers WBT. Just won a £50 bet :ok:

MUFC_fan
7th Jun 2010, 19:29
Aside from the fact I'll believe it when I see it, you know how things can change, is this in their plans currently?

After the publicity it would be a PR catastrophe for them not to operate it added to the fact they are one of the best airlines in the world for saying something and then actually going and doing it.

Just for the Nay sayers who think F wont work from MAN, it seems there are only a couple of F seats left on the inbounds, still quite a few on the outbounds, but may take time for the people comming in F on the EK17 to go back out again on the EK18.

I'd imagine a simple email to all F/J frequent flyers/email subscribers with a postcode north of Birmingham would help fill some of those seats but as you say, it's going to take some time.

I also believe that most of the traffic in F will appreciate a red, Nike football shirt in their goody bag opposed to pyjamas...

Mr A Tis
7th Jun 2010, 22:56
Do you really need jim jams for a 7hr daytime flight?

MUFC_fan
7th Jun 2010, 23:06
My point exactly! Replace it with a Man Utd shirt and the plane will be full up front as well as at the back! :ok:

However, what First class want, First class get so I would assume pyjamas would be available if requested...

johnnychips
8th Jun 2010, 22:57
If it's Emirates it might be a red and white Arsenal shirt. :}

Who's the guy who owns Man City? Has he any connection to Abu Dhabi/Etihad/Qatar, and I must admit I'm now getting confused with football/airlines/Middle East geography, sorry.

Betablockeruk
9th Jun 2010, 07:25
Middle East airlines sponsor many sports and Emirates list is:
Sponsorships | About Emirates | Emirates (http://www.emirates.com/english/about/sponsorships/sponsorships.aspx)

The "guy" who owns City owns many things including Etihad. And, to bring the thread back into Manchester realm, the significant investment in MCFC, club and surrounding area, has brought new focus to the Manchester Etihad operation, resulting in 777 upgrade and exec lounges.

wanna_be_there
9th Jun 2010, 07:34
With regards to swapping PJ's with football shirts to attract pax. Surely if they have enough money to fly all this way to watch a match, or just fly to the UK in general, they will have enough money to buy a football shirt in their home land. After all, MUFC and MCFC are global brands now thanks to sattelite tv etc.

MUFC_fan
9th Jun 2010, 08:17
wanna_be_there,

It was a tongue in cheek post!:ok:

pobox557
9th Jun 2010, 22:18
Dont get me on about OCS........... ( not the boys and girls pushing the great lazy mass, the ones in charge!)RANT RANT RANT RANT

:D I counldn't agree with you more, but what have they done to upset you...... :)

wanna_be_there
10th Jun 2010, 20:39
Icelandair going up to 5 weekly flights this autumn. Flights run every day except Thu and Sun on a KEF-MAN-GLA-KEF routing.

Opodo travel news – Icelandair to offer more autumn flights to Reykjavik (http://news.opodo.co.uk/NewsDetails/2010-06-10/Icelandair_to_offer_more_autumn_flights_to_Reykjavik)

wanna_be_there
11th Jun 2010, 09:50
Singapore airlines going up to daily from september 1st.

MUFC_fan
11th Jun 2010, 16:03
Maybe we'll see better loads if the flight is daily...

Some how I doubt it and wouldn't be surprised to see MUC become the final destination...

They need to get some sense of consistency like EK. They seem to think that the A380 will have attracted MAN passengers to LHR however as they have seen, people want consistency and it has been much easier to just move across to EK, EY or QR.

conti onepass
11th Jun 2010, 16:09
if the loads are not good on it.. why make it daily.. it used to be full nearly everyday.

MUFC_fan
11th Jun 2010, 16:20
if the loads are not good on it.. why make it daily.. it used to be full nearly everyday.

In one word: cargo.

It used to be full nearly everyday when it was non-stop to SIN meaning Oz became a one stop destination as it is with EK, QR and EY now.

To be fair to SQ, it amazes me how much effort they have put into MAN and are still trying! They must have some faithful MAN passengers!

conti onepass
11th Jun 2010, 16:28
do i take it you dont like manchester airport.

MUFC_fan
11th Jun 2010, 16:54
do i take it you dont like manchester airport.

Of all the airports I have visited in the world (and I've been to a few!) it is up in my top five, simply because it is my home airport. I love the place!

I am just a realist. SQ are able to make MAN a success. Their cargo operation is superb, they just need to get a reliable service!

dwlpl
11th Jun 2010, 17:24
When did you move there Gareth?

MUFC_fan
11th Jun 2010, 17:31
When did you move there Gareth?

I don't understand?

Also, was there a point to your post?:confused:

dwlpl
11th Jun 2010, 17:45
You told me before that you leave near Blackpool.

MUFC_fan
11th Jun 2010, 17:57
You told me before that you leave near Blackpool.

I do - but unless you want to anywhere other than Spain or IOM, then MAN is the local airport!

Mancs are not that bright you know dont even know where they live

At least we can write a sentence that makes sense!:ok:

MUFC_fan
11th Jun 2010, 18:05
Liverpools closer Blackpool-Manchester 45.2 miles, Blackpool-Liverpool 34.68 miles

Ok...somewhere outside of Europe!:ok:

MUFC_fan
11th Jun 2010, 18:16
Do you know you can get to anywhere in the world from LJLA not just EU.
I have just arrived back from New York and cost less than ex Manchester

On KLM?! I'd rather go by boat to be honest!

Back onto topic...has there been an official announcement about MCO going twice daily?

dwlpl
11th Jun 2010, 18:31
Ok...somewhere outside of Europe!

Quick for a non Scouser, very good.

conti onepass
11th Jun 2010, 18:32
is virgin going double daily to orlando?

dwlpl
11th Jun 2010, 18:36
On KLM?! I'd rather go by boat to be honest!

You did post this :)

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/252308-easyjet-3-a-post3378216.html?highlight=klm#post3378216

If they were to come up against EZY and FR, they would be wiped off the planet. The two airlines are soo powerful on the European stage it is frightening.

Alot like BA out of LHR and KLM out of AMS...simply unmatchable.

Ringwayman
11th Jun 2010, 18:48
Virgin is gonig to 11 weekly from April next year (daily A330s, 4 weekly 747s). Not a lot of scope I believe to start double daily to Orlando as well as operating the Barbados and Las Vegas services given the fleet size (this also applies to any potential routes they're contemplating).

Elsewhere, it is reported that SQ is attracting F class passengers on the SIN-MAN-SIN (whch is really good to see) but this expansion is more to with cargo and will be even more interesting if one believes what will happen to this route in the medium term. Remember that A380s aren't the best aircraft to have operating when you carry a fair amount of freight so whilst 2 A380s are operating out of LHR, they need some more cargo capacity which is why it's commecially useful to operate daily services again to MAN.

MUFC_fan
11th Jun 2010, 18:53
Alot like BA out of LHR and KLM out of AMS...simply unmatchable.

Out of AMS they are...:confused:

A lot like, as I said, FR out of DUB, U2 out of LTN, BA out of LHR - dominant carriers.

Just because they dominate doesn't make them a quality carrier! Ryanair carry 70m people a year yet they are hardly SQ...:ouch:

As I have said many times before, please read what you are posting before you actual post it! It saves us all the embarrassment...:ugh:

Many thanks.

Elsewhere, it is reported that SQ is attracting F class passengers on the SIN-MAN-SIN (whch is really good to see) but this expansion is more to with cargo and will be even more interesting if one believes what will happen to this route in the medium term. Remember that A380s aren't the best aircraft to have operating when you carry a fair amount of freight so whilst 2 A380s are operating out of LHR, they need some more cargo capacity which is why it's commecially useful to operate daily services again to MAN.

Good to see they are attracting a number of F passengers and I also believe EK are doing the same? Cargo has always been key on a number of MAN routes, SIN being one of them.

Virgin is gonig to 11 weekly from April next year (daily A330s, 4 weekly 747s)

Sorry, my misunderstanding.

dwlpl
11th Jun 2010, 18:56
Out of AMS they are...

I had always thought KLM flew out of Amsterdam.:ok:

pwalhx
12th Jun 2010, 09:04
KLM simply dont compare service wise to other carriers imho, I have used them on a couple of occasions to the far east because I needed a cheap ticket, and cheap is what you get.

rapidman47 why is Manchester any more difficult to fly from than Liverpool, I use them both and quite frankly do not find it any more difficult at all.

wingeel
12th Jun 2010, 11:31
On my trips to/from ATL, flying the 'Red Eye' across the pond to AMS and then doubling back was no fun. Delta to MAN was a breeze ( literally, given the tailwind). Do EI still serve LPL ?

Rob Courtney
12th Jun 2010, 11:56
As someone who lives roughly between Liverpool and Manchester I would choose Manchester every time, getting through security at Manchester is a doddle compared to Liverpool unless you want to pay that is!!

eggc
12th Jun 2010, 12:19
I take absolutely no notice whatsoever of either of DWLPL or Rapidman...over and over the LPL lot drag this thread down with petty childish "LPL's better than MAN" etc etc Liverpoolcentric is an understatement.

Please stop winding up folk who want talk MAN on this thread and stick to talking EZY & RYR on your very own LPL thread ;)

dwlpl
12th Jun 2010, 12:27
Didnt mention Liverpool, but you managed to four times in two sentences :ok:

eggc
12th Jun 2010, 12:35
Look DWLPL....there is nearly a page now of KLM/LPL v MAN etc...it is total tosh...who cares ! If you guys join our topic on positive topics re MAN then great, but comparing this and that is getting extremely boring !

dwlpl
12th Jun 2010, 12:43
I take your point but as you can see/read I never mentioned Liverpool. :ok:

However, if look for it I will no doubt find a reversal of roles with you id attached.

eggc
12th Jun 2010, 12:53
Not for a long time my friend...I've matured :)

...anyway is today not the day we unite as one :ok:

http://www.myflags.co.uk/image/england-small.gif

dwlpl
12th Jun 2010, 13:24
Not for a long time my friend...I've matured

Size matters boys and your tiny

Dont think 35 minutes is a long time in anybody's book. :ok:

But I hope my young old friend Mr Rooney goes beserk, not with his mouth, but hitting the back of the net with the ball.

Betablockeruk
12th Jun 2010, 14:55
and whats wrong witha bit on banter between to rival local airports

It's the same things said over and over again. :zzz: Fortunatlely the last regional skirmish, with BHX, ended up with the mods getting involved.

Anyway, nice to see todays Etihad now the promised 777 upgrade.

al446
12th Jun 2010, 18:37
agree with comments about KLM being rubbish, flew with them from GLA-AMS-YVR, (Vancouver). On the long haul route almost any loco would have been equal on both legs and their complaints department was crap. If I had been a Dutchman it may have been different I think. They seem to me to be trading on an undeserved reputation.

Mr A Tis
12th Jun 2010, 21:43
If you want to argue with each other, then use PMs or something. 14 of the last 15 posts have been utter drivel on the Manchester forum.
I suggest the Mods lock it for a while.:suspect::mad:

EuroWings
12th Jun 2010, 22:59
From my experience and what I have heard the passenger loads have been quite low at times on the MAN-MUC. But apparantly the passenger loads have been quite healthy MUC to SIN..:ok:

Perhaps it is the cargo that warrants this frequency increase...:hmm:

AUTOGLIDE
13th Jun 2010, 06:44
I've looked at SIA for transit to OZ and other parts of Asia. I can't see any point in using them, they have always quoted more than EK, and I have to mess about at MUC.

dwlpl
13th Jun 2010, 08:57
IP check reveals DQ- is really VH-

I am not going to get involved in an argument where one poster believes one thing ('you have a history off upsetting people on various forums') and another who says the opposite ('Name one...just one Forum...I challenge you...if you come up with one I'll disappear with pleasure') but now appears to concede the is something in it ('I am now going to pm mods with the full story') BUT how do you know what IP addresses posters have?

QUESTION for Admin/Mods. Not being into the deeper realms of Internet security what is the situation with the Data Protection Act and data security if this poster can get hold of others IP Addresses?

PPRuNe Pop
13th Jun 2010, 13:34
Listen up guys.

There is some spat going on and it is NOT acceptable. SEVERAL posts have already been deleted for abuse, naming names, innuendo as well as attempts at wind ups. We do not play those kind of games and we do not allow you to play either.

Enough! Or the some of you or the thread goes - OR - both!

AA&R Mods

doublesix
17th Jun 2010, 13:48
Has nothing of interest happened concerning Manchester in the last four days or are you posters sulking after your Mod Bollocking?

JackRalston
17th Jun 2010, 14:17
Trip Report!!!

Just got back from Benidorm (not the clubby end, went for a quiet one in La Calla).

Flew out on 13th (Sunday) with Easyjet on EZY1917 (A320 - G-EZTF) to Alicante. Check in was fine, had checked in online and only had to wait a few mins in the queue. No hassle at security nice and flowing. Then some guy did a swab of my bag to check for "explosives", nothing found (obviously) so walla onto departure from Gate 54. Due to depart at 6:10am, delayed leaving gate by about 15 mins due to a problem with one of the baggage doors. No problems onwards.

Flight today with Monarch back to MAN, MON683 (A321). Sat in 12F, NO legroom what so ever, I mean, really bad. Landed on 5L, nice flight, arrived at gate 26 at 14:05, was off the plane, walked through the e-passports security (funky), no queues, got baggage at 14:25, into a new Mercedes black-cab and now home!

A few things I noticed bad were the congestion at T1 arrivals, a lot of people wandering about and not a lot of room! Also upon arriving at the C Pier, half of the corridor was bordered up for work and only 2 of the 3 automatic doors at arrivals were working.

Apart from that, a pleasant yet rather thundery holiday.

PQC
17th Jun 2010, 21:16
...apart from the announcement of the new Group CEX - Mr Cornish!

Not Andrew, MD of MA, but Charlie from UU!

And the views of the great unwashed are what?

My view - for what it is worth - is that I don't have one.

But lets hope the new guy can take MAN and MAG forward in the right direction.

Problem is defining what is the right direction!

mickyman
17th Jun 2010, 21:30
PQC

I dont know about MAG/MAN looking to be steered - you sound
like your in a muddle of your own.

MM

PQC
17th Jun 2010, 23:25
That might be due to the red wine...

jongeman
18th Jun 2010, 12:06
Mr Cornish says he's going to concentrate on LCC and long haul expansion, which sounds about right to me because there are few short haul carriers left to fish for.

MUFC_fan
18th Jun 2010, 19:51
London Assembly vows to fight ‘back door’ Heathrow expansion : Heathrow Airport News Stories (http://uk-airport-news.info/heathrow-airport-news-170610.html)

Can only be good news for MAN.

Or, more likely, CDG, FRA, AMS, DXB, AUH and DOH...

rapidman47
18th Jun 2010, 21:04
Manchester closed due suspected bombing, is that true? Liverpool taking diverts:sad:

Betablockeruk
18th Jun 2010, 21:38
Tower evacuated due smoke.

LPL, BHX taking diverts.

OltonPete
18th Jun 2010, 21:53
add EMA to that, Thomas Cook 763 was diverting to BHX when the ILS
dropped out and due to the poor vis it did not want to continue its approach and diverted to EMA.

Pete

Betablockeruk
18th Jun 2010, 22:15
Everything back to 'normal' 2315

wiccan
18th Jun 2010, 23:19
Did the "ECU" work as advertised? or did they not bother?
bb

GavinC
19th Jun 2010, 12:27
Flew out to Abu Dhabi on EY yesterday. Nice and quick check in and then joined a massive queue for security that tailed back past some of the check in desks. However, it moved very quickly. Almost walking pace the whole time i was in it which was excellent to see. All security stations in operation and the whole thing probably took 20mins if not less. Very impressive from MAN. Departures was busy which was nice to see but there was available seating if you wanted it.
The 773 was parked down on Gate 27. A big queue for another flight at Gate 23 blocked our route down what is now a very narrow walkway with the partitions in place. It lets the Terminal down at the moment as the rest of the experience has been modernised. It must be next on the list to sort out now.

Flight was very empty. I wonder what the load factors are in EY at the moment? Also, I was surprised at the 3-4-3 seating as i thought EY offered 3-3-3 as opposed to EK's 3-4-3. The entertainment system on the 773 is better than the A330 which is also nice.

Gavin.

OltonPete
19th Jun 2010, 14:09
GavinC

June or May for that matter is never a good time to compare load factors
for Middle East or Asian flights as both of these months usually show the
lowest figures each year.

However the change to a 77W was certainly an interesting move by Eithad,
as they were not filling the 332 most months although I understand that this might true of economy but not necessarily business where the money is.

June 2010 was 10053 pax compared to 10650 in 2009.

Assuming the May 16th figures are not included this is an average of 168
per flight or 64% load factor.

Emirates on the other hand was 43815 up from 39201.

Qatar also lost pax with 10500 compared to 12003.

The 2009 annual figures also show Etihad decreasing

AUH 155192 in 2009 157566 in 2008
DXB 521729 in 2009 491982 in 2008
DOH 160625 in 2009 149075 in 2008
SIN 97627 in 2009 174654 in 2008

I have added the Singapore figures in to show the amount of decline,
which is a bit obvious considering the reduction in seats but still significant.

I suppose all a bit pointless without access to yields but still worth
a look considering Etihad have increased seats on falling figures and with
EK to put a 380 in soon and Singapore (to a lesser extent) going back daily

Pete

Mr A Tis
19th Jun 2010, 19:21
Just booked some J class flights to Asia ex MAN, but on my dates EY, SQ, EK were pretty pricey. QR not bad, but the best value fares for me were LH so it's MUC /FRA for me-sadly no A380 on my routes either. If EK/SQ/EY want to fill their premium big machines, they need to be a bit more competitive. Very surprised that the EK A380 J class was the most expensive by a mile, so maybe they are filling it anyway.

easyJet A321
19th Jun 2010, 19:34
I know MAN want to change who's in what terminal but with their plans I really don't see how it would work for Terminal 2. This will become charter and the holiday terminal but with this being MAN's biggest market how are all the planes going to fit into terminal 2 at peak times when out of all the terminals it has the least amount of stands (15). This would mean it would only be able to fit say Thomas Cook and Thomson in which would leave monarch and Jet2 and the other less major ones to Terminal 3? With the plans for Terminal 1 to become the scheduled international terminal which also has the largest amount of stands in my eyes it seems a waste. It all just seems rather confusing on my behalf but knowing me I have probably got something wrong.

MUFC_fan
19th Jun 2010, 19:51
Just booked some J class flights to Asia ex MAN, but on my dates EY, SQ, EK were pretty pricey. QR not bad, but the best value fares for me were LH so it's MUC /FRA for me-sadly no A380 on my routes either. If EK/SQ/EY want to fill their premium big machines, they need to be a bit more competitive. Very surprised that the EK A380 J class was the most expensive by a mile, so maybe they are filling it anyway.

Dependant on the fares, I would have gone with QR if I were you - best business class in the sky - officially!

TissieSaffie
20th Jun 2010, 17:27
Noticed on MAN's website a lot of flights have been delayed departing for locations today. Some by quite a few hours. Anyone know the reason for this? Apologies if I've missed something newsworthy today, I've been working most of the day and haven't even had chance to catch the news.

Check Mags On
21st Jun 2010, 06:40
It's summer.

MUFC_fan
21st Jun 2010, 17:13
Is the EK system going mad?

21st, 22nd and 23rd January 2011 have no J seats available on MAN-DXB at all.

F isn't available from 20th until 25th or 15th January 2011.

Y class is available throughout.

Just checked on Amadeus which matches the EK system.

:confused:

wanna_be_there
21st Jun 2010, 17:58
Maybe just you going mad. Tried dummy bookings on 15/20/21 Jan for F and giving me availablity with no issues? Courtesy of EK website

MUFC_fan
21st Jun 2010, 18:10
Don't know if it has been mentioned before, but EY flight will return to an Airbus for the winter before becoming a Boeing again next summer.

wanna_be_there
21st Jun 2010, 18:19
They are looking at changing the winter to an A346 to coincide with the lounge opening.
Put it this way, no point opening a FIRST and business lounge at MAN if there are no F pax to utilise it :ok:

TURIN
21st Jun 2010, 19:22
They are looking at changing the winter to an A346 to coincide with the lounge opening.

That is the best laugh I've had all day. :ok::D:D

MUFC_fan
21st Jun 2010, 19:24
That is the best laugh I've had all day.

We laughed when SQ and EK were 'rumoured' to launch F service to MAN...

TURIN
21st Jun 2010, 19:27
It isn't the 'F' making me laugh. It's the A340-600 on that route. :ok:

MUFC_fan
21st Jun 2010, 19:34
It isn't the 'F' making me laugh. It's the A340-600 on that route.

A346: 286 seats
B77W: 378 seats
A332(J/Y): 262 seats

I don't understand? :confused:

wanna_be_there
21st Jun 2010, 19:48
TURIN, what is there to laugh about?

They have sent in the A346 before, as well as the A345. They have a sponsorship with MUFC as well as advertising in Abu Dhabi specifically at premium packages with MAN flights.
Add to the mix that an A346 will be spare in the system when one gets swapped with an A333 at LHR, and the fact there are only 24 seats more than an A332, I fail to see what your issue is.

The press release states that the new lounge will be for pearl AND diamond class, no point telling them of that if they are not going to be able to use it.

TURIN
21st Jun 2010, 19:54
No, me neither.

Seems a waste of four engines thats all.

What with EK changing to a Big Bus and now EY (aledgedly) to a Bigish Bus, there's going to be some rapid retraining going on at MAN.

MUFC_fan
21st Jun 2010, 19:54
They have a sponsorship with MUFC

Possibly the biggest insult you could give any 'MUFC' fan - apart from Carlsberg of course!

wanna_be_there
21st Jun 2010, 19:56
Sorry MUFC_fan, must try harder to hit the C button instead of the U button next time.

MUFC_fan
21st Jun 2010, 20:00
Seems a waste of four engines thats all.

You've obviously never flown DXB-DOH on QR...

Sorry MUFC_fan, must try harder to hit the C button instead of the U button next time.

Be VERY careful next time wanna_be_there, in some areas you could be shot for saying something like that!:ok:

TURIN
22nd Jun 2010, 13:13
You've obviously never flown DXB-DOH on QR...

Obviously.

I take it that it is operated by an A340.

wanna-be-there

I have no personal issue.

I have a professional interest. :ok:

spannersatcx
22nd Jun 2010, 13:39
AMS to MAN, I'm looking at prices for 1st July, am flying China-HKG then HKG-AMS, all booked, looked at price for AMS-MAN with KLM and they want £450 one way! :eek:That seems excessive, guess I'll have to go to Liverpool for £40 with Easyjet. How can charging that much attract passengers to MAN?

or am I looking in the wrong place?

1502slk
22nd Jun 2010, 14:12
You can also look at KLM AMS-LPL. 4 daily flights!

MUFC_fan
22nd Jun 2010, 14:28
Obviously.

I take it that it is operated by an A340.

Sorry, I was a bit sarcastic there!:ok:

They used to. Now they are using aircraft much more suited: Boeing 777-200LR:}

AMS to MAN, I'm looking at prices for 1st July, am flying China-HKG then HKG-AMS, all booked, looked at price for AMS-MAN with KLM and they want £450 one way! That seems excessive, guess I'll have to go to Liverpool for £40 with Easyjet. How can charging that much attract passengers to MAN?

It's unfortunately what is known as a monopoly I'm afraid...

Try AMS-LPL, you get half the price but still very expensive, that is because there is another carrier present, ie) easyJet.

Try AMS-LHR and it halves again! Probably because there are even MORE airlines present.

Mr A Tis
22nd Jun 2010, 14:49
QR MAN-DOH is an A330-300, so you lost me all all those comments.

By the way my J class MAN-SIN/HKG flts with LH were almost half the price of EK, without the 2am plane changes.

MUFC_fan
22nd Jun 2010, 15:11
QR MAN-DOH is an A330-300, so you lost me all all those comments.

It is and QR has the best business class in the sky - officially.

Its a shame that the A330 series doesn't have lie flat beds though - something I hope they'll look into on their arriving NG long haul aircraft.

dwlpl
22nd Jun 2010, 15:14
Re fares to AMS.

There is another way but I am not at liberty to disclose/quote fares in a PPRUNE thread. :ok:

AirLCY
22nd Jun 2010, 20:44
Book a return, quite often cheaper than one way

Suzeman
22nd Jun 2010, 20:49
It isn't the 'F' making me laugh. It's the A340-600 on that route.
Pretty sure that ETD use A345/6 on short haul routes in the Gulf and Middle East region, presumably for fleet utilisation?

Suzeman

MUFC_fan
23rd Jun 2010, 01:46
Pretty sure that ETD use A345/6 on short haul routes in the Gulf and Middle East region, presumably for fleet utilisation?

Very much so, as do EK and QR. However, these flights can often been nearing full! It is amazing the number of passengers who travel between AUH/DXB-DOH a day!

Suzeman
23rd Jun 2010, 07:25
From the Manchester Evening News

Security innovations at Manchester Airport have helped it win the title of best in Europe.It beat competition from hundreds of others to pick up the title at the ACI Europe Best Airport Awards in Milan.Judges praised airport management for ‘passion for excellence’ and innovative approach to security.

Over the past year, the airport has introduced a raft of security improvements, including the installation of controversial full-body scanners. The £80,000 device produces ‘naked’ outline images of passengers’ bodies to detect hidden weapons and explosives but some campaigners have likened the process to a ‘virtual strip search’.
The technology was piloted at Manchester – four months before scanners were made compulsory by the government.

Other security innovations at Manchester include ‘smart gates’ – glass booths which act as powerful metal detectors, and a new generation of high-speed baggage scanners will be introduced this summer.

Manchester was named best airport in the ‘10-25 million passenger’ category, making it the only British airport to win an award.
It was selected for its ability to ‘add real substance’ to everything it undertakes, with particular mention of its approach to security.

Manchester Airport boss Geoff Muirhead CBE, group chief executive, said: “We’re delighted that Manchester was named best airport by ACI, particularly because the judges recognised the investment and effort that has gone into improving customer service standards. We want to be one of the world’s best airports and providing high quality customer service is at the heart of our strategy to achieve this goal.

“This award, which is judged by our peers from European airports, is a real tribute to the hard work of everyone at Manchester Airport and they should feel proud of this achievement.”

The judging panel was drawn from a respected group of experts, including the European Commission, the European Disability Forum and air traffic management chiefs from Eurocontrol.

They said this year’s competition saw a high level of entries from more than 400 airports in 46 European countries.The awards aim to celebrate achievement in customer service, retail, security and environmental awareness. Other winners on the night included Barcelona, Lyon and Malta airports.

firstchoice7e7
23rd Jun 2010, 09:27
spannerstcx,

you need to try booking a return with a saturday night stay, and just use the sector you want. AF and KLM still have the old fare rules where one ways are extortianate.

Zippy Monster
23rd Jun 2010, 17:01
you need to try booking a return...and just use the sector you want

Be careful with that... it is not unknown for airlines to cancel your return sector if you don't fly on the outbound one. It's happened to me and a colleague of mine on separate occasions when booking with Swiss (who also have a booking system which charges you £1k+ for a one way flight and £200 for a return.)

Make sure you book the outbound as the sector you want to use to be on the safe side...

al446
23rd Jun 2010, 19:19
Try Skyscanner.net but prices this close are HUGE. Fly into Liverpool and catch LPL - MAN bus, much better. Good luck.

spannersatcx
24th Jun 2010, 01:59
Thanks sorted now.:ok:

wanna_be_there
25th Jun 2010, 14:18
Qatar upgrade to a B773 tomorrow. Although only for one day, lets hope it happens more often, kind of being left behind by their apponants recently.

Change is due to a cargo consignment

AircraftOperations
26th Jun 2010, 10:26
Try Skyscanner.net but prices this close are HUGE. Fly into Liverpool and catch LPL - MAN bus, much better. Good luck.

As I found out a few months ago, there is now no bus between the 2 airports.

eggc
26th Jun 2010, 12:26
Why not wait and see how much MAN-AMS is with EZY :ok:

Maybe that is what DWLPL was suggesting, as I read on the "other forum" that AMS is one of four new routes ex MAN for EZY, and also RYR may be returning with upto 5 based a/c :rolleyes:

Please don't shoot the messenger :bored:

Ian Brooks
26th Jun 2010, 12:42
Please not Ryanair, just as everything seems to going right they will be back just to
stop everybody else and they will disappear again

Ian B

eggc
26th Jun 2010, 12:52
Ian, don't worry just yet...the RYR bit could well be complete rubbish...it seems quite a big u-turn to me considering they based no a/c last time, unless MAN have agreed a price deal if they do base units ? We'll see I'm sure...

New EZY routes mentioned were Amsterdam, Hamburg, Gothenburg & Istanbul, again nothing official yet so we'll see on these too.

conti onepass
26th Jun 2010, 13:28
wheres this ryanair rumour come from? surely manchesters not letting them come back.

MUFC_fan
26th Jun 2010, 13:33
wheres this ryanair rumour come from? surely manchesters not letting them come back.

Ryanair cannot allow easyJet to grow too dominant in the NW UK market, the second largest within the sovereignty.

Liverpool cannot sustain many Ryanair routes that Manchester could serve.

I personally don't see a problem with Ryanair returning as long as they look to introduce routes that are not served by others.

wanna_be_there
26th Jun 2010, 13:56
The Ryanair rumour could be true, as they may get an introductory offer again, but will probably just bugger off after the years subsidy is gone.

As for easyjet, im getting a little bit annoyed at them really. Out of 19 routes they currently serve, only Sofia, Geneva (during the summer as Swiss op in winter) and marrakesh are served by them alone. In the 4 new routes that are rumoured (not inc AMM), they are all served by another airline. Dont get me wrong, pax increase is welcome, but come on easy, think outside the box. What about Madrid, Berlin, Vienna, Krakow!

The routes Easy are serving risk running other airlines out of MAN. Take GOT, if easy open this, City airline will do a runner and we will be stuck with a 3xweekly service on U2 as apposed to a double daily service on CF.

Not good, not good at all.

conti onepass
26th Jun 2010, 13:59
yes why is krakow not served from manchester, a pretty busy destination i believe

MUFC_fan
26th Jun 2010, 13:59
The Ryanair rumour could be true, as they may get an introductory offer again, but will probably just bugger off after the years subsidy is gone.

As for easyjet, im getting a little bit annoyed at them really. Out of 19 routes they currently serve, only Sofia, Geneva (during the summer as Swiss op in winter) and marrakesh are served by them alone. In the 4 new routes that are rumoured (not inc AMM), they are all served by another airline. Dont get me wrong, pax increase is welcome, but come on easy, think outside the box. What about Madrid, Berlin, Vienna, Krakow!

The routes Easy are serving risk running other airlines out of MAN. Take GOT, if easy open this, City airline will do a runner and we will be stuck with a 3xweekly service on U2 as apposed to a double daily service on CF.

Not good, not good at all.

We live in a mixed economy. Where there is demand, supply will come...

MancRy
26th Jun 2010, 15:41
wanna_be_there I see what you are getting at but Easyjet nor any other airline are in the business of providing civic pride by putting destinations on the boards of airports. The problem specifically with MAD and SXF is the fact that they are LPL destinations and they probably wouldn't survive if they were operated from MAN aswell. In the meantime, EZY has to fulfil it's LPL contract and any route failures there makes that even more of an hassle. In the meantime EZY, like any other business, is operating where they believe the profits lie. Also, correct me if i'm wrong but EZY and AY/SK/LH/LX are actually co-existing quite well........in other words, expanding the market.
AMS is probably going to be added to the MAN route mix and people are often crying out for more competition on this route.

Also remember that EZY are looking further afield and if AMM does come off then this will undoubtedly lead to destinations that would otherwise be unlikely to be served from MAN.

Without being too biased, i think you need to give EZY a break. Everyone expected a sea of orange too soon at MAN. They have 5 based aircraft currently with 10 planned by 2012. The base has grown under challenging times together with a very constraining contract signed at LPL.

wanna_be_there
26th Jun 2010, 16:00
Good analysis MancRy

I wasnt one of those who expected a sea of orange at MAN. Its contracts with LPL mean Easy were always on an uphill struggle at MAN, as I know they would love to transfer MAD over to MAN but arnt able for example.

I suppose I was just expecting a little more variety from them. So many big routes they could operate, but I suppose if 10 aircraft will be based by 2012, they will add the city routes in time.

With the DSA aircraft comming over in Jan, that would be number 6 for MAN, that means 4 more aircraft due by the start of 2012 if MAN is to have 10 frames. As a rough guess, Id expect aircraft 7 to arrive not long after the DSA frame arrives (maybe an ex NCL one) then 3 more added for summer 2011, keeping the fleet at 10 for winter 11/12. Does that sound reasonable?

On another note, AA are being courted by DFW to serve MAN, so DFW could be for AA what ATL is for DL from MAN. Good connecting flights to south America, and good access to the southern states.

rapidman47
26th Jun 2010, 16:03
together with a very constraining contract signed at LPL.There has never been a contract between Easyjet and Liverpool as some people seem to think.
Easyjet are a reputable company as is LJLA and neither would enter into a contract that would constrict their operations get real you people :ugh:
Easyjets routes from Liverpool do very well load wise, if they think a route could be sustained from both airports they will fly from both if not they wont its logical :rolleyes:

mickyman
26th Jun 2010, 16:26
I dont think Easy are an airline who would bow to
Airports asking for certain routes - but I could be wrong!
Surely an airline is looking to make money Easy-ly (!!!) and
not invest in previous discarded routes which are much harder
(costlier)to establish.
Surely people who are worried that duplicating routes at MAN
would kill them - Ryanair or Easyjet.The results are the same -
or does prejudice operate?

MM

MUFC_fan
26th Jun 2010, 16:47
together with a very constraining contract signed at LPL.

It is illegal under UK and EU law for easyJet to sign a contract with Peel or whoever now owns the airport stating that MAN won't affect LPL.

It's a misconception that people have been sprouting on this site for a number of years. Firstly it was that easyJet couldn't operate into MAN at all, then as soon as the airline took over GB Airways and confirmed MAN would remain a base it changed to not restricting LPL growth!:hmm:

The there was ever attempts to put a contract of this sort into play, MAN would have swiftly noted the Competition Commission who would have had a field day. How on earth people think that a company can sign a contract saying they won't use another service is ridiculous!

One of Pprune's longest lasting and most popular gems of cr*p - and there are many!

With the DSA aircraft comming over in Jan, that would be number 6 for MAN, that means 4 more aircraft due by the start of 2012 if MAN is to have 10 frames. As a rough guess, Id expect aircraft 7 to arrive not long after the DSA frame arrives (maybe an ex NCL one) then 3 more added for summer 2011, keeping the fleet at 10 for winter 11/12. Does that sound reasonable?

Jan 11 - 6
Mar 11 - 7
Apr/Jun/Jul 11 - 9
Mar 12 - 10

That would be my guess, certainly the 10th coming in March 2012 - maybe even the 9th!

On another note, AA are being courted by DFW to serve MAN, so DFW could be for AA what ATL is for DL from MAN. Good connecting flights to south America, and good access to the southern states.

Would be very interesting and a likely addition post-ATI. However, would a 767-300ER be economically viable or would it be better to wait for the 787? I would certainly expect this to come with the introduction of the revolutionary aircraft.

I also believe that MAN will be one of the main benefactors of the 787. LHR is full, London as a whole is pretty much full now thanks to Cameron and co. The only way that the UK can supposedly "open for business" is for it to be sent via MAN! The 787 will make PEK, PVG, HKG, DFW, NRT etc. all viable links to the city. I'm not saying I expect them to arrive! I am just saying that they would certainly become more economically viable.

I dont think Easy are an airline who would bow to
Airports asking for certain routes - but I could be wrong!
Surely an airline is looking to make money Easy-ly (!!!) and
not invest in previous discarded routes which are much harder
(costlier)to establish and failed.
Surely people who are worried that duplicating routes at MAN
would kill them - Ryanair or Easyjet.The results are the same -
or does prejudice operate?

As you say, airlines are there to make money, not just to satisfy an airport's ego.

The main problem for Ryanair in the NW is that easyJet are growing a considerable dual base, taking marker share and reducing the impact of the Irish airline which has a policy of being very in the face which it needs as part of it's marketing strategy. Remember easyJet's plans for an MAD base? Ryanair were quick to follow. However, it could be argued that easyJet has a dual base in Paris yet Ryanair don't seem to want to commit yet have probably their busiest non-base there. Maybe something to do with the employment laws that easyJet find so frustrating over there?

The only way for Ryanair to combat easyJet's growth it to look into expanding in the region themselves. Liverpool is unable to support a number of routes that Ryanair would probably want to operate from the region. MAN would most likely offer the airline 12 months subsidies as with most based carriers and would also insist on them paying their way as they did before. Just look at Valencia - Ryanair do backtrack!

This could become a situation not seen before in Europe: an airport holding Ryanair hostage.

It all comes down to how much Ryanair want to commit to the North West, the UK's second largest region...interesting times lay ahead!:ok:

MancRy
26th Jun 2010, 16:50
There is an agreement in place.....it's been acknowledged by Easy management. That is why LPL and MAN have been having aicraft added simultaneously and is basically why DSA has Easyjet flights today.

Loads out of LPL are indeed good but that doesn't mean that MAD from both LPL and MAN is sustainable, not least by the same airline.

Those who moan about EZY's choice of routes should be comforted by the fact that MAN has been the pioneer of long distance flights that are gradually being seen right across the network together with relatively new Easy destinations such as HEL and (if true) GOT.

MUFC_fan
26th Jun 2010, 16:55
There is an agreement in place.....it's been acknowledged by Easy management. That is why LPL and MAN have been having aicraft added simultaneously and is basically why DSA has Easyjet flights today.

You mean a 'gentleman's agreement?' [Are we still allowed to say that by the way? Or is it sexist?]

A gentleman's agreement by easyJet management doesn't have to be kept. If easyJet discovered that MAN was making large sums of money they would certainly look at taking advantage, whatever LPL said. What are they going to go? Take them to court over an 'agreement?' or if they DID sign a contract, be laughed out of court by the judge and straight into the hands of the CC.

Besides, LPL has passed hands now as well as easyJet gaining a new CEO meaning there maybe changes in the future.

As I said before, it's going to be interesting!:ok:

mickyman
26th Jun 2010, 17:15
MUFC_fan

'interesting times lay ahead' - Agreed.

MM

(PS: Could you remind me what the 787 looks like/
its performance targets etc...'cause its been quiet for
some time now!!).

wanna_be_there
26th Jun 2010, 17:41
With regards to DFW.

A B763 would be required due to the range, but dont forget some factors that will help it out:

The BA/AA ATI
Cargo (the figures keep going up and up)
Pax loads in general are picking up, to the point the DL154/155 will revert back to a B767-300 in August.

The connections at DFW will be pentiful (AA's biggest hub and very convinient for South America and Carribean Connections, as well as West Coast cities)

Yes a B787 will be ideal, but it seems to be a long way off and if DFW give AA the incentives to start the route, AA could well make it work.

In terms of Ryanair, they are starting to backtrack on previous reductions, as per Valencia. The fact they can see easy, baby and Jet2 doing so well at MAN will only tempt them more. The load factors on HHN, MRS, BRE and NRN were particularly high for them, with DUB being so high its in their top 10 of figures and they could not bring themselfs to cut it along with the other 10 routes.

Time will tell for all the current rumours! :ok:

MUFC_fan
26th Jun 2010, 17:47
With regards to DFW.

A B763 would be required due to the range, but dont forget some factors that will help it out:

The BA/AA ATI
Cargo (the figures keep going up and up)
Pax loads in general are picking up, to the point the DL154/155 will revert back to a B767-300 in August.

The connections at DFW will be pentiful (AA's biggest hub and very convinient for South America and Carribean Connections, as well as West Coast cities)

Yes a B787 will be ideal, but it seems to be a long way off and if DFW give AA the incentives to start the route, AA could well make it work.

Very true. However, although South American connections may be quite lucrative, Caribbean are not so and are pretty much covered via LGW/TOM/MON/TCX/VS etc. certainly for where those in Northern England visit.

I just can't see it happening. Why not just increase ORD back to a 767 or JFK as a 767.

If DFW are bothered about MAN, they must be desperate! I don't mean that in a bad way, but surely there are more destinations that they want before MAN?! Unless they are all Man United fans down at Fort Worth! :ok:

I really hope it does come off, just cannot see it before the 8 replaces the 6...

Seljuk22
26th Jun 2010, 18:58
LH DUS-MAN will increase to 22 weekly flights (+ 5 weekly) from November.

Hamburg 2K8
27th Jun 2010, 02:26
Good news ref DUS-MAN flights, however, why are LH stopping their afternoon Hamburg flight? I thought they were doing well with that? I fly to Hamburg a few times a year on business (I work for Airbus UK). and that flight was ideal and cheaper.

Hamburg 2K8
27th Jun 2010, 02:29
Also, how are the night time taxiway improvements coming along? When the completion date for this and the re-surfacing of 23R/05L? How's things at Gate 12 Pier B?

Mr A Tis
27th Jun 2010, 10:05
Maybe rumour of an EZY MAN-HAM is true, if Lufthansa are dropping one rotation.(?)

Aeronave
27th Jun 2010, 10:11
HAM-MAN will be operated as indicated in the CRS. 3 times/day.

roverman
28th Jun 2010, 16:33
AA have flown MAN-DFW before, using a B763, but it only lasted a couple of seasons if I remember correctly. Must have been 8-10 years ago. They also tried MAN-MIA, and a second daily ORD for a time. Hopefully they can now build something longer-lasting at MAN as the LHR options dry up.

airhumberside
29th Jun 2010, 14:41
Don't think AA's options are at LHR are drying up. If anything the BA-AA-IB joint venture could mean AA opening new B757 routes into LHR from medium-sized US cities. However the joint venture also makes it more attractive to expand outside of London as well, since BA have an incentive to make new flights work

roverman
29th Jun 2010, 16:55
AirHumberside - Understand about the AA/IB/BA thing, but with what slots? LHR is staying as a two-runway airport and has finite slots. Hence limited options for AA growth there.

Ringwayman
29th Jun 2010, 18:40
What you will probably find is that where both AA and BA have an aircraft going to the same destination within an hour or so of each other, then BA will operate it given that they have the larger aircraft at their disposal and so be able to get a theoretical full aircraft than 2 aircraft that may be just over half full. Thus AA would have a "free" slot to start a new service.

airhumberside
30th Jun 2010, 09:04
No different to how DL has used AF slots to expand at LHR. AF still get benefit from this through their joint venture, so BA may well let AA use some slots in order to enhance the overall LHR operation. Effectively AA would be operating routes on BA's behalf - like PIT-CDG operated by DL which without AF would not be in the DL network

doorplane
30th Jun 2010, 17:14
I see the new Escape Lounge in T1 is ready to open in the morning?
Anyone had a look yet?
Any idea if they have any airlineslined up to use it?

TSR2
30th Jun 2010, 19:26
As I understand it, the lounge is intended for the general public who are willing to pay to 'escape' the crowds. I don't think it was ever intended to be a 'business' lounge for any airline.

MAN OPS
1st Jul 2010, 02:27
CSA Czech airlines are to reduce their Prague service from 6 to 2 times per week from 11th July.

The flight will operate inbound OK646 on days 2 and 5
and outbound as OK647 on days 3 and 6.

The service is looking to be suspended again over winter from 30 Oct 2010

HXdave
1st Jul 2010, 08:17
Doorplane, i had the chance to go see the lounge on tuesday, however as my work collleague was away and i am manning the office alone, was unable to go..... :{

doorplane
1st Jul 2010, 12:46
Hard lines Dave - I heard they had sausage butties for all!! I've seen some pics on the facebook site and have to say it does look quite impressive (credit where credit is due) and at the price they are currently pushing it at, it's got to be a no-brainer compared to Servisair's bowl of nuts and a fridge of drinks.
Well done MAN.

Mike16
1st Jul 2010, 14:51
Hi Guys

Well just wanted to ask a really quick question if i could.
I am coming to MAN next fri as flying to Varadero with TCX and as this is a long flight has MAN airport got any smoking area at all ?
I know EMA does with an outside area once through departures and with them being owned MAG i wondered if MAN airport has something similiar ?
Any help is most appreciated

Thankyou.

HXdave
1st Jul 2010, 15:00
Bugger! so i missed out on sausage sarnies as well..........

My colleague has got a lot of explaining to do when she gets back off holiday!

Mike16, i've not been through MAN for a while, but as far as i am aware, absolutely NOWHERE TO SMOKE once you go through security. I'm sure someone will either confirm this, or set me straight on the issue. If it is still the case, may i suggest some nicotine gum, and plenty of it........... lol

HXDave

conti onepass
1st Jul 2010, 15:12
there is a smoking area in t2 departures gate 300. but im not sure about terminal1

wanna_be_there
1st Jul 2010, 15:26
T1 will eventually have a smoking area on top of C-pier (where the etihad and emirates aircraft park).

Not sure if its open or will be open soon.

doorplane
1st Jul 2010, 15:47
There is a smoking area in T1 - head to the end of the main concourse and up the escalator to the main food court where Giraffe is located. It's signposted from there. Boots sell Nicorette if it's lashin it down outside

spannersatcx
1st Jul 2010, 17:39
If Emirates and Etihad are parked on top of C pier, there won't be much room for the smokers!:eek:

wanna_be_there
1st Jul 2010, 17:43
well, the engines are to be used as extractor fans, did you not get briefed on the latest plans :rolleyes:

Mike16
1st Jul 2010, 18:07
lol oh you lot are so funny, i love your sense of humour, and thankyou all for helping me, i wil ltry and keep away from the engines don't want to be sucked off..... lol

AircraftOperations
2nd Jul 2010, 15:34
T1 has an airside smoking area, outside - but covered - upstairs near the restaurants.

mufc4evr
2nd Jul 2010, 19:37
Just looking at the PDF timetable for MAN and showed a daily LHR-MAN Sri lankan airlines flight on an A310 at 6:35 with no codeshare, is this real???

eggc
2nd Jul 2010, 19:50
mufc4evr - if it helps the flight does not, or has not, operated and I don't think they even have A310's !

wanna_be_there
2nd Jul 2010, 19:53
I think its an error for 2 reasons:

UL dont have the A310 anymore
Typing UL2581 into google shows it as a bmi codeshare on the BD581

Would be nice to think they did serve here on their own metal however.

mufc4evr
2nd Jul 2010, 20:01
thanks for the quick reply.

I thought it was an error

MAN777
4th Jul 2010, 20:25
Probably not connected to the latter enquiry re Sri Lankan but an A330 in full Sri Lankan scheme (ex Bmi) departed on Saturday see TAS link

MAN Reports (http://tasmanchester.co.uk/MAN_Reports.html)

BHX5DME
5th Jul 2010, 18:51
Pax - 1,852,103 down 0.44%

Movements - 15,892 down 3.58%

Rolling Year Pax - 17,914,877 down 10.64%

MAN777
5th Jul 2010, 19:26
Bottom of the decline and levelling off maybe ??

OltonPete
5th Jul 2010, 19:37
Considering the Ryanair pax were in the 2009 figures and the World Cup
can stem demand, these figures will not doubt bring some cheer to MAG.

Pete

EuroWings
6th Jul 2010, 19:06
Had a delayed flight last week and was listening to that automatic annoucement system they have installed in T2.

It does have quite a lot of problems with its pronunciation. It called Onur Air as "owner air" and it also had problems with quite a few destinations being pronouced wrongly.

Has anyone else noticed this?

aidoair
6th Jul 2010, 19:23
East Midlands airport is also using a similar system. The thing is, many airlines prefer more in their announcements than just ''Airline Flight1234 to XXX, is now ready for boarding at gate XX''

I know many of the gate staff in the end were having to make their own announcements anyway so I dont see the point. The only good thing about it in my opinion is that it repeats it in the language of the destination the flight is heading.

Betablockeruk
7th Jul 2010, 11:01
June Traffic
Pax - 1,852,103 down 0.44%

Movements - 15,892 down 3.58%

Rolling Year Pax - 17,914,877 down 10.64%

Thanks for the report but you missed off the "Freight traffic continued its resurgence, with a 32 per cent increase in volumes from 7,715 tonnes in June 2009 to 10,158 tonnes last month."

"UP" top right of keyboard, either side of I and O :ok:

wanna_be_there
8th Jul 2010, 08:28
Ok, the new easyjet routes are:

AMS, twice daily
GOT Tue, fri and Sun
HAM daily ex Sat

GOT may just survive on City Airline with these timings, but time will tell.

andy mach 1
8th Jul 2010, 09:52
Just looking at the times for Easy's Amsterdam flights the morning flight M-F based unit but the evening and weekend flights look like W pattern from another base.

getonittt
8th Jul 2010, 10:54
I think you will find that the City Airline service is definitely aimed at the business traveller (as can be seen from the fares they charge) and the EZY service would be for the leisure market. I don't know if it's the case at MAN but at BHX the service actually reduces during holiday periods i.e factory/business shutdowns.

globetrotter79
8th Jul 2010, 11:21
Just looking at the times for Easy's Amsterdam flights the morning flight M-F based unit but the evening and weekend flights look like W pattern from another base

Looks like this might be BFS-AMS-MAN-AMS-BFS

TURIN
8th Jul 2010, 23:22
BOO!!!

Whats all this I hear about US Air adding a Charlotte service soon.....?

Sorry, I just thought things needed livening up a bit.

conti onepass
9th Jul 2010, 06:39
when does this start, i need to book to go to charlotte next may. or is this another rumour

dwlpl
9th Jul 2010, 07:47
It will be a rumour until confirmed otherwise.

Betablockeruk
9th Jul 2010, 09:26
Think it stemmed from this: Overseas flights surge in Charlotte; take off for Rome tonight? - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/05/13/1432365/overseas-flights-surge-in-charlotte.html)

No emphasis re Manchester, but interesting stats re USA hubs, in that "The US Airways hub in Charlotte is now the nation's fourth-largest,.... The largest hub is Delta's in Atlanta, with 811,000 weekly seats; American's hub at Dallas-Fort Worth follows with 576,000 weekly seats.
US Airways in Charlotte had 388,000 weekly seats in April, slightly less than United at Chicago, with 392,000. The US Airways hub in Philadelphia had 266,000 seats.

So, in regards to Manchester - USA hubs we have 2 yet to be covered.

Atlanta: Got that
Dallas: Needs service. AA?
Chicago: Yep, got that covered
Charlotte: Never thought of that 1
Philly: Covered

rkenyon
9th Jul 2010, 14:13
What about CO at EWR? That must have a fair few passengers.

Skipness One Echo
9th Jul 2010, 14:16
What about Continental at Houston and Delta at DTW and MSP? I would have put them well ahead of CLT.

AA have tried MAN-DFW in the past id I recall?

Or was it just BOS and MIA and JFK that were tried?

globetrotter79
9th Jul 2010, 14:22
AA did indeed try MAN-DFW (with MD-11 if I remember correctly), it was either late '80s or early '90s...I forget when exactly.

conti onepass
9th Jul 2010, 14:55
aa did dallas a few years back, it was a pretty busy route, with many flight sold out, also boston and miami did pretty, they were stopped because of something to do with british airways as per usual, they leave manchester then dont like other airlines doing well here.

HXdave
9th Jul 2010, 15:41
now i always thought it was Debbie that did Dallas.............

Ringwayman
9th Jul 2010, 18:12
The Dallas route was in 98 & 99 as a summer-only service operated by 767s.

AA have done the ORD route for 24 years (can we have someithing nice on the 25th anniversary please!), having upped frequency to the chagrin of BA who objected to the extra frequencies granted from 1992 to 1995ish (only in the latter year were there extended double daily ops).

JFK was from 1991 to 1994 with a summer-only 1995 before it's return this year

BOS was from 2004 for 3 years as a summer route with MIA operating for 2 years (this route suffered by lack of BA codeshare who thought pax would like to be continued to been inconvenienced by routing through LHR and cruiseliner conctracts not secured).

Granting AA and BA ATI would be the best outcome as there's not a chance BA would open any route outside of London again, and would grant other UK airports the chance of JFK or ORD links. Note, anyone contemplating that BA had no feed ought to consider that BA were feeding AA in JFK. How hard they tried to push the route, as with all routes they operated that were not connected with London, is open to debate.

Slightly more interesting news is that one of the websites carrying the easyJet expansion has "further routes are in the offing" whilst MAN's Andrew Harrison is quoted in another as saying "With more than 5 aircraft here already..."

groundedforgood
9th Jul 2010, 18:18
"With more than 5 aircraft here already..."
Does he mean six? Sorry to be facetious :)

Ringwayman
9th Jul 2010, 18:31
I hope he's not incuding the Liverpool aircraft that does our Geneva on a W-pattern as that's the only way it can get to 6. Or 7 if we want to have the Belfast one doing an Amsterdam run.

At the moment, the "down" time for aircraft 5 from Feb is something like:

Sunday = free up to 1725
Tuesday = free all day
Wednesday = free to 1330
Thursday = free to 1645
Saturday = free after 1235

One suggests one or two more routes including a "long sector" service could be announced.

OltonPete
9th Jul 2010, 19:36
CAA Figure

July 7101 - 52 rotations = 137 pax
Aug 9199 - 62 rotations = 148 pax
Sep 9995 - 60 rotations = 167 pax
Oct 8948 - 61 rotations = 147 pax

May 4402 - 30 rotations = 147 pax
June 10247 -60 rotations = 171 pax
July 8404 - 62 rotations = 136 pax
Aug 8856 - 62 rotations = 143 pax
Sep 9432 - 60 rotations = 157 pax
Oct 9328 - 62 rotations = 150 pax

I assume a 763, which if so might explain its demise.

Not sure of the config but I assume around 218.

Even with July's high fares flying every day with 80
empty seats (on average) would not go down too well.

If it was a 762 then load factors were good, if it was a
MD11 then it was amazing it lasted so long!!!! I seem to
remember it was mainly 763's.

Continental often averaged over 200, which I assume was
the DC10 (daily flight in 1999).

Pete

wanna_be_there
9th Jul 2010, 19:48
I dont know why people keep refering to 1998/1999 figures as an indication as to how the route would fair today.

More people travel further afield now than in 1999 for a start, and we are talking about figures from 11 years ago!! The market dynamics are completly different, especially if BA/AA/IB ATI goes through.

Also, with migration to/from those areas, more people require the transfers. Dont forget DFW is Americans largest hub, therefore offering more connecting traffic but I dont see anyone saying that AA cant make JFK/ORD work from MAN.

This time AA can market MAN-DFW-XXX whereas the advertising was quite poor last time round.

conti onepass
9th Jul 2010, 19:57
where do you get this info from solihull, are you that bored... it was 10 years ago, as b4 it stopped because of british airways, i worked at the airport when it operated and worked with loading aa flights and it was nearly full everyday, sometimes well overbooked.

OltonPete
9th Jul 2010, 20:25
conti onepass

The source is stated - CAA and they are facts, most of the rotations were from
the CAA punctuality stats - again fact in most cases.

What I do not know is the aircraft config but if it was a 763 then in July 2009
it left every day on average with 80 empty seats. I can't say that is fact as I do not have the exact aircraft types or config and of course yields are unknown to the wider public.

The post was just a reality check but as wanna_be_there it means nothing now as the dynamics have changed.

Pete

conti onepass
9th Jul 2010, 20:26
it was a 767 300

MANFlyer
10th Jul 2010, 17:07
The AA flight to DFW was definitely a 767 of some sort, we flew the route a few times when it was operating as it was a great way to get to HOU. The flights we did were chocka in the back.

Shame about OK. I flew them back from PRG last week and the flight was rammed. Just got Gold in OK Plus as well.....:{

wanna_be_there
10th Jul 2010, 20:15
The Turkish B773 is finally on THY website:

In on Monday 12th, Arrives 09:30, departs 11:00 as TK3111 to ORD.

Meanwhile MCFC have to deal with a blueline MD83 to Portland!!