PDA

View Full Version : MANCHESTER - 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16

MAN777
2nd Apr 2010, 13:16
Please can we avoid the "my city is bigger than yours" its has been done to death in the past and really doesnt prove anything. The fact is Airlines put their aircraft where they will make money and where infrastructure exists to support the operation, simple as that !

Manchester had the foresight many years to put that infrastructure into place and that is why we are where we are.

Skipness One Echo
2nd Apr 2010, 14:35
But I would agree, any other terminal and it's poor.

Actually T4 has had a major makeover and is the new home of SkyTeam and non aligned carriers, it's pretty good in comparison. T1 is still a building site but is better now BA are gone, T3 is best left unmentioned lol.

I think the AA summer JFK is seasonal.

Bagso
2nd Apr 2010, 15:50
......interestingly and the other point is that Manchester has been the 3rd most popular inward destination for international travellers after London and Edinburgh !
:ok::}

MUFC_fan
2nd Apr 2010, 15:54
......interestingly and the other point is that Manchester has been the 3rd most popular inward destination for international travellers after London and Edinburgh !

Manchester...or Old Trafford?:ok:

Monty Gordo
2nd Apr 2010, 16:28
Man 777

Amid the tendentious ourpourings of a few on this site, you have explained in just a few words the reality of the current situation - airlines put their planes where they can make money.

This is nothing to do with 'second city' status which, historically, was conferred on Birmingham for the drynamic part it played in creating the British Empire - the city of a thousand trades, the birthplace of engineering and ingenuity. In the 19th and early 20th centuries was there ever a city or country that could not provide the 'Made in Birmingham' mark. It was what China and Japan are today. That is why it was titled the 'second city'.

Sometimes I wonder that seeking that title is borne more out of jealously by those who seem intent on wanting to perpetuate that old north - south divide and turning a blind eye to historical fact.

Less rhetoric more good forum fodder on airline and airport developments - please.

Ringwayman
2nd Apr 2010, 16:36
AA's JFK service is seasonal but I have a hunch that when all the i's have been dotted and the t's crossed on the anti-trust immunity application for AA and BA, it will feature as a year-round service (with a growing number of regional UK - USA services over the coming years)

Dairyground
2nd Apr 2010, 18:31
It doesn't matter whether the CITY of Manchester is bigger, smaller, fatter, taller than Birmingham - for goodness sake - Manchester Airport isn't even in Manchester if we are being that pedantic!

To be really pedantic, most of Manchester Airport, including all the terminals, lies within the Manchester City Council area. However, unless the boundaries have been adjusted since my copy of the A to Z was printed, almost all of the southern runway is in Macclesfield!

From the map, it looks as though the boundary was modified many years ago to give all of the airport to a single local authority, but the powers that be have not caught up since the second runway was built.

wanna_be_there
2nd Apr 2010, 18:43
With catchments, dont forget the majority of north wales has MAN as the main airport.

But, the main arguement isnt really about city sizes, its about where the airport catchments lie.

For example, BHX's main issue is and always has been London airports (mainly LHR and for loco, STN/LTN). To some extent, MAN has also taken punters from the northern reaches of Birmingham, wolverhampton and stafford.
I think the case point is that in a city with one of the largest indian communities, no carrier has been able to stick out an indian connection, proven with air india, retreating to LHR. Regardless how bloomin big the city is, with London now just over an hour by train, and the ease of the motorways, LHR/LTN/STN will be always casting a shadow over BHX.

Paul Kehoe is Naive enough to think High speed rail will make BHX 'LHRs thrid ruway', more like it means more passengers have easy access to the 3 afformentioned London airports!

No doubt if these airports were harder to reach, BHX would be on traffic par with MAN, if not more.

MAN is lucky enough to be far enough away from LHR to support its own services, and our main success has been the middle east and America. This summer will see 32 flights a week to the New York area alone, and come winter the middle east will see 2x B773, 1xA388 and 1xA333, both situations envied by any other airport.

So, Birmingham may be bigger than Manchester, and if people want to see either/or as the second city, thats fine, but, for the reasons above, and without trying to sound smug, MAN will always be the bigger airport.

MUFC_fan
2nd Apr 2010, 18:45
But, the main arguement isnt really about city sizes, its about where the airport catchments lie.

It isn't. It is about how much that catchment area is willing to spend on their airfare...

It is all about revenue...

wanna_be_there
2nd Apr 2010, 18:52
not really MUFC_fan, as the case with Air India proves.
Its ATQ-BHX-YYZ services were very popular and had good yeilds, as said so by AI themselves, but the route was transferred to LHR to protect slots.
I think that shows exactly what I mean, as AI would rather the pax travel to LHR than BHX, and no doubt the decision was made much easier for AI due to the ease of getting to LHR from BHX.

MUFC_fan
2nd Apr 2010, 19:03
not really MUFC_fan, as the case with Air India proves.
Its ATQ-BHX-YYZ services were very popular and had good yeilds, as said so by AI themselves, but the route was transferred to LHR to protect slots.
I think that shows exactly what I mean, as AI would rather the pax travel to LHR than BHX, and no doubt the decision was made much easier for AI due to the ease of getting to LHR from BHX.

Why do they want them to fly to LHR?

The lure of LHR and NRT is unique compared to any other airports in the world:

Continental’s $209m Heathrow slots - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article3480029.ece)

757s fly in those slots...

LHR has the connecting traffic, it has BMI, it has LH, it has UA, it has CO, it has US, it has AC - the connections are endless.

At the end of the day it is about money - airlines aren't charities...

Ametyst1
2nd Apr 2010, 21:26
Whilst, Manchester has the largest range of long-haul destinations available, second only to Heathrow, it is nowhere near on a par with other major European cities such as Milan or Munich. Manchester has also lost a lot of long haul traffic for exactly the same reasons that Birmingham finds it difficult to hold on what should be Birmingham's core long haul routes to India.

Manchester has lost more long-haul scheduled flights than it has gained, such as:- BA, BMI, Air Canada, BWIA, Air Jamaica, Cubana, South African Airways, Air Seychelles, Air Mauritius, Egyptair, Syrianair, El Al, Saudia, Gulf Air, Air India, Uzbekistan Airways, Bangladesh Biman, Malaysia Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Qantas

Also, American Airlines, Pakistan International, Air Blue and Singapore have either dropped routes, decreased capacity or cut frequencies.

And, it has to be said that Singapore Airlines are on the critical list.

wanna_be_there
2nd Apr 2010, 21:36
Biman Bangladesh finished because the route authority was not granted for DAC-MAN-JFK and had to switch back to BRU.

Gulf air finished as they were only allowed to operate to AUH, and their hub is BAH so proved too costly

Air Jamaica ran into financial difficulties, hence why they are no more.

BWIA also ran into financial issues, and dont even operate to LHR anymore.

It is well know CX and QF were 'convinced' to drop MAN to save the LHR services on BA etc.

AA dropped MIA due to lack of co-operation with BA on codesharing (but are now back with JFK) We may have lost some services with AA but we are the only UK routes outside of fortress Heathrow.

PIA dropped the transits as they always intended to run them direct to the USA and Canada, but had immigration issues which prevented them from doing so. They were never meant to be a permenent fixture.

Singapore, whilst its not Ideal, now back up to 5 weekly, so I wouldnt say they are critical just yet.

Air blue are having issues as MAN was always down as an A330 service, but they havent got the frame yet. The MAN route is their longest route, and with the tech stop is a huge drain on resources, so not surprised they dropped frequency.

As for the others, I will agree with you that they are a loss and no reason why they couldnt work now.

Evileyes
3rd Apr 2010, 05:42
Knock off the both the tedious pissing contest and the public airing of local inferiority complexes please.

The next person to mention Birmingham in this thread would be well advised to think long and hard before doing so.

spannersatcx
3rd Apr 2010, 08:04
It is well know CX were 'convinced' to drop MAN to save the LHR services on BA etc.
No we weren't that's not why.

Suzeman
3rd Apr 2010, 08:24
Cubana, South African Airways

Cubana stopped because of the sub-standard equipment (IL-62) being used and the fact it had to stop at Gander to refuel. It was mainly used by IT companies for holiday trips and pax were not told about the refuelling stop, even when on the flight. As a result, many thought they were at Havana when they landed at Gander and wondered why it was snowing in Cuba - this wasn't in the brochure. :ooh:

SAA stopped because with the ending of apartheid, they suddenly had many new more lucrative destinations available

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether the CITY of Manchester is bigger, smaller, fatter, taller than Birmingham - for goodness sake - Manchester Airport isn't even in Manchester if we are being that pedantic!
To be really pedantic, most of Manchester Airport, including all the terminals, lies within the Manchester City Council area. However, unless the boundaries have been adjusted since my copy of the A to Z was printed, almost all of the southern runway is in Macclesfield!

From the map, it looks as though the boundary was modified many years ago to give all of the airport to a single local authority, but the powers that be have not caught up since the second runway was built.
Dairyground
You are correct. Originally the boundary between the City of Manchester and Cheshire ran through the middle of the airfield - the south side hangars were in Cheshire. This of course meant that the terminals were in a "nuclear free zone" and would be safe in the event the bomb went off as the bomb would have to be dropped in Cheshire. I'm sure this was very reassuring for the staff that worked there and tough luck on those on the south side :}
At some stage - think in the mid 80s? - the boundary was adjusted so that the whole airfield was within the City of Manchester. As may be imagined this caused some political friction between Manchester and Macclesfield Borough, the adjoining Cheshire authority, especially considering Macclesfield had no shareholding in the airport, yet Wigan (many miles away) did as it was part of Greater Manchester.
With the advent of the second runway, the section of 23L/05R west of the Bollin River is in Cheshire and I think there may well be something in the legal agreements that says that it will remain so. Macclesfield Council doesn't exist now - it became part of the imaginatively named Cheshire East council (in 2009 I think).
Suzeman

planenutter
3rd Apr 2010, 09:22
US Air and Continental arrived from London Heathrow this morning due to the tower at Heathrow had to be evacuated!

Ian Brooks
3rd Apr 2010, 10:48
Bizjet City
amazing what sport attracts now bizjets parked all over the place for the little footie match and the boxing

Ian B

jongeman
3rd Apr 2010, 12:21
This fool thought he could say what he liked. Wrong

He is now thread banned until 7th April. Let it be a warning to others. We do not have the time to play games with people who never heed previous warnings. See above.

A&R mods

Trash_Hauler
3rd Apr 2010, 14:48
“Although passenger numbers have been down, we've invested heavily in our commercial offering and our growth rate in retail is outstripping the high street at over seven per cent.

That's confirmation that the new range of products we have in areas like duty free, clothing and food and beverage has been welcomed by our customers.”

Really says all you need to know about the current management mindset of this so called airport. Let's face it, under the reign of Muirhead/Cornish. No mention whatsoever in the article about what is being done to upgrade the apron facilities or what is being done to attract more AIRLINE operators! We have become nothing more than an extension of the Trafford Centre with aeroplane parking.

What we need is for Muirheads successor to be an "aviation" person. Sadly, I feel we will be saddled with Cornish.

Ringwayman
3rd Apr 2010, 15:27
Perhaps by gaining extra from the concessions means they will be able to freeze/reduce charges levied onto airlines. No doubt we'd be complaining about a list of airlines that they are talking to if they went public and saying "it's just a rehash of what they've said for the past few years". I'd rather them not talk about who they want and concentrate on talking to who they want.

Apron facilities would be of no concern to the public but if you're that concerned, perhaps you should be in contact with the airport directly.

MAN777
3rd Apr 2010, 16:38
I rather like the shops:)

Landing fees (or actually departure fees) would be enormous if it wasnt for the income the shops generate.

There were some seriously rich customers knocking round Ocean Sky today (something to do with a kickabout up the road):)

I wonder if Ocean Sky ever thought of introducing a mini duty free area. No cancel that I dont think the biz jet users could give a t**s about saving a couple of quid on a bottle of whisky !

Ill get me coat

TURIN
3rd Apr 2010, 17:48
Apron facilities would be of no concern to the public but if you're that concerned, perhaps you should be in contact with the airport directly.

So, when the FEP drops off line (again) cos it's not up to the job, and spikes an important electronic piece of the aeroplane causing a substantial delay, that will be of no concern to the passengers?

Many have 'been in touch with the airport directly' and frankly the airport doesn't give a toss!

Ringwayman
3rd Apr 2010, 19:00
So everytime a repair is effected you want the Manchester Evening News to run the story in the interests of improved aviation safety?

Ian Brooks
3rd Apr 2010, 19:07
MAN777
Some of those rich are here for a rather large fight at the arena tonight
It certainly shows how important sport is to the airport now because
along with all the bizjets there were at least 6 charter flights plus I`m sure many of the scheduled flights would have had very good loads at very high fares.

Ian B

TURIN
3rd Apr 2010, 22:43
So everytime a repair is effected you want the Manchester Evening News to run the story in the interests of improved aviation safety?

What repair would that be then? :}

To be honest I could care less what a local rag like the MEN writes. Like most newspapers they never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

However, as anyone who works out on the apron will tell you, the facilities are now a liability, T2 especially. They were not designed for modern large transport a/c such as 777 and 330. Unfortunately, as long as the bean counters insist on spending money on shops then the operation will suffer. Stand 12 and the on-going ILS saga are cases in point.

dh dragon
4th Apr 2010, 12:51
Surprised nobody has mentioned that AA flew to JFK in the past.I flew on that route many times. B767 which towards the end used the Business cabin for full paying Y class pax

Mr A Tis
4th Apr 2010, 17:32
Yea AA have been all over the place from MAN in the past - Chicago twice daily, Dallas, JFK, Miami & Boston, I think that's all so far. !
As JFK/EWR is served very well from MAN, I would have prefered a return to the Boston route, just hope the JFK doesn't undermine Continental who have stuck with MAN twice daily thro thick & thin & rarely got a mention from MAG or MEN.

mickyman
4th Apr 2010, 17:41
The days of Delta 777's, Continental 777's and American Md11's
are long gone I'm afraid.

MM

MUFC_fan
4th Apr 2010, 18:18
The days of Delta 777's, Continental 777's and American Md11's
are long gone I'm afraid.

If DL had as many 777s as EK, I'm sure the ATL service would benefit. CO T7s are certainly out of the equation...

daynehold
5th Apr 2010, 18:31
Realise this is “old hat” and there are many out there ready to castigate me :bored: but had the misfortune of leaving through Terminal 3 at 7.15 on Saturday morning bound for Southampton. Only just made the flight because of a 25 minute queue to get through security! Initially it appeared that only a limited number of “lanes” were open although this seemed to improve soon after 6.30 am. Nevertheless there were folk due to catch flights to Paris and Frankfurt who were being specially called through otherwise their flights would have closed without them. Overall, whilst recognising the importance of security checks a less than impressive performance and little that Manchester Airport can be proud of.

TSR2
5th Apr 2010, 19:30
Arrive earlier. :ok:

wanna_be_there
5th Apr 2010, 21:04
Looking at the emirates website, its interesting to see that the MAN-DXB flights on F class are twice as much as the LHR-DXB route.

Hopefully the fares stay at this price and sell well, no way anyone can say the yeilds arnt there then!

The economy fares arnt bad at all on the route though!

Mr A Tis
5th Apr 2010, 22:44
Higher fares are probably designed to " prove" there is no demand for MAN "F" class & to substitute with the two class A380 when it becomes available.
Cynical ? Me ? never !

MUFC_fan
5th Apr 2010, 22:49
Errrm...who do EK have to prove it to again?:confused:

shobakker
6th Apr 2010, 09:46
Quick question re security...went through T2 last week early (6am'ish) and NONE of the automatic boarding card gates were open & as a result only 1 security bod was checking boarding cards before waving us through to the scanners....

He wouldn't answer any passengers queries as to whether the gates were working and we were all coralled into one of those lovely queue snakes that we Brits love so much!

They didn't look out of order so why aren't they being used?

BHX5DME
6th Apr 2010, 12:19
A better month for Manchester

March pax - 1,248,479 down 6.95%
March movements - 12,482 down 11.97%
March freight - 10,126 tonnes up 15.50%

12 Months Ending 31.03.10

Pax - 18,264,729 down 10.57%
Movements - 166,682 down 15.29%
Freight - 107,047 down 15.81%

Turtle controller
6th Apr 2010, 15:21
With rail strikes looming (despite high court rulings) is it possible BA or BD might dedicate a few extra flights or at least staff so that people who have desserted their shuttles get a positive image of air travel should they return while needs must? Or is the mindset now that these flights are simply feed for their (or their alliances) London services?

MUFC_fan
6th Apr 2010, 15:33
With rail strikes looming (despite high court rulings) is it possible BA or BD might dedicate a few extra flights or at least staff so that people who have desserted their shuttles get a positive image of air travel should they return while needs must? Or is the mindset now that these flights are simply feed for their (or their alliances) London services?

1. Flights to LHR are not exactly full and are mainly, as you say, for feeder traffic.
2. They simply aren't enough slots at LHR for BA/BD to put on extra services.
3. The attraction of air travel from MAN-LHR is considered too much faffying about now a days.

I would be surprised if we see anything larger than an A321 on the LHR run - I hope I am wrong! But I doubt it...

daynehold
6th Apr 2010, 18:45
Always welcome sound advice - so on the basis that I arrived 1.5 hours before departure, checked in and joined the security queue IMMEDIATELY, please advise me where I went wrong - polite replies only please :ooh:

TSR2
6th Apr 2010, 19:05
Your timings do not seem to add up.

First you say that the queue at security was 25 mins and that you only just made your flight. Then you say you arrived at the airport 1.5 hours prior to your flight and went immediately to security after check-in.

So I think your problem must have been with check-in not security. Anyway, you made your flight and thats the most important thing. :ok:

MUFC_fan
7th Apr 2010, 10:42
Virgin Atlantic restores scheduled flights to Las Vegas - Crain's Manchester Business (http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness.co.uk/article/20100407/FREE/100409938/1005)

Confirming the already known...

AUTOGLIDE
8th Apr 2010, 06:02
daynehold has a valid point. Every time I'm in T3 there is a long backed up queue for security. Considering that many (including me - and I work at MAN) now cannot be bothered to fly because it's as much fun as cholera, you'd expect that MAPLC might attempt to reduce the queues.

JC25
8th Apr 2010, 06:44
I fly out of T3 at least 4 times a month and have rarely seen a queue longer than about 5-10 people.

bjones4
8th Apr 2010, 07:29
Perhaps I fly at odd times of the day, but my T3 experiences have been the same as JC25, on the last occasion catching the last BA of the day down to LHR, with the exception of about ten staff I was the only person in the security hall.

Mr A Tis
8th Apr 2010, 08:03
Done a few recent T3 trips, usual security queue time, 5-10 minutes, not as good at T1, where I now seem to breeze through, but not bad at all.
If you want bad, try flying from Liverpool -even EZY themselves are complaining.

MARK9263
8th Apr 2010, 09:06
AI European Base
Taken from sify.com

BUSINESS_STANDARD
Air india board to discuss international base plan
Mihir Mishra | 2010-04-06 02:00:00

The first board meeting of Air India with four new independent directors inducted last month will discuss a proposal for a base in Europe for its flights to the United States. The meeting, to be held on Tuesday, will discuss the viability of the cities of Dublin in Ireland, Birmingham in the United Kingdom, Barcelona in Spain and Copenhagen in Denmark as a base for Air India flights from India to the US.

"The viability of the new destinations will be reviewed in the first board meeting with the new directors and only after that will any decision will be taken," said a senior ministry official, who did not want to be identified.

Air India operates four daily flights from New Delhi and Mumbai to New York, Newark, Washington and Chicago.

Air India had earlier decided upon Frankfurt in Germany as an international hub but gave up the idea after it found the place to be too expensive to operate from.

"The cost per passenger at the Frankfurt terminal is at 10 per cent of the fare charged per passenger, which is high by every standard. This forced us to look for other cheaper destinations," said a senior Air India official, who did not want to be identified.

The new 13-member Air India board has Mahindra & Mahindra Managing Director Anand Mahindra, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry General Secretary Amit Mitra, industrialist Harsh Neotia and Air Chief Marshal (Retd) Fali H Major as independent directors. They have joined the airline for a period of three years.

After the new terminal at the Delhi airport starts commercial operations, the merged entity will make Delhi its hub. Air India operates 12 international flights from Delhi and 17 from Mumbai, a large chunk of which is expected to shift to the capital now. Erstwhile Air India had its hub in Mumbai and erstwhile Indian Airlines' hub was Delhi......

Lets just hope BHX manages to bag this one its just that runway may go against us! Certainly BHX has a lot of VFR traffic much more than any of the other cities mentioned and certainly less US traffic than DUB,CPH or BCN.

THE ABOVE IS TAKEN FROM THE BIRMINGHAM THREAD.
Anyone like to enlighten me as to why our glorious airport is not in the frame?????????????

MUFC_fan
8th Apr 2010, 10:32
MAN was on the list last time the story came out, just before they launched a BCN service.

BHX always seems to be more suited for AI, especially in the eyes of the company. Also, BCN and CPH have respectable *A presence, especially the latter!

My money is on BCN by some way...

Bagso
8th Apr 2010, 12:27
Re Air India

I refer to my post a month ago where I suggested MAG get on a plane pronto and actually "sell the place as a viable alternate to BHX"

OK may lose out to Copenhagen etc but for goodness sake have a go !

Selling Points
Wider network of domestic connections
wider network of European connections
90 min direct access to largest Indian community in Europe
Two runways capable of full weight operations

...as I said this instantly provides 4/5 major new destinations...at a stroke.

As we speak the board at BHX are on their way over their to present their case....

Could somebody behind the scenes at MAG comment as on the face of it "appears" to be a tremendous opportunity going begging through lack of ambition and aggresive marketing. :ugh:

...there again maybe our cost base is as high as Frankfurt !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skipness One Echo
8th Apr 2010, 12:54
I don't think going all moist at Air India is helpful. If past performance is a guide they'd last until the next management re-shuffle which would be along shortly?

They're pretty unreliable, even with the new 77Ws!

jpthomas72
8th Apr 2010, 12:56
Just spotted on theairdb and confirmed on airbaltic.com: The MAN-RIX route with the really mad departure times is gone already, I think even before it was flown once. That means FR has a monopoly on direct flights from Central England to the Baltics, esp after massively expanding their KUN-UK routes. SAS and friends in the region seem to have decided connections via CPH are the way forward.

MUFC_fan
8th Apr 2010, 12:57
Pretty sure it did fly...

wanna_be_there
8th Apr 2010, 13:07
Air India is a no hoper for MAN, they have made up their minds and are going for the afformentioned destinations.
They will probably go for BCN. BHX has issues with the runway and DUB will offer more inconvenince with this pre clearence mullarkey, and they have little O&D traffic.
Pre clearence only benefits those starting at DUB. Transit pax will have to offload, get their bags, check in again, pre clear, get back on the same plane and then go. You wight as well clear in the USA with the amount of time it will take!

Besides, at MAN we are already well served on the USA front, with 32 flights a week to New york, and have AA on ORD (yes not as good as a B773 granted), and we have many connections to India, so not the hugest loss in the world. Dont get me wrong, I would like to see India direct from MAN, but its not our turn yet.

Keyvon
8th Apr 2010, 15:05
Jet2 has announced a new ski-route serving Austrian Alps.
The will fly to Salzburg commecing in late December, once a week.

I guess it will be partially chartered by specialist operators.

VH-OJH
8th Apr 2010, 22:15
Air Baltic have operated at least 3 flights to RIX, not sure how many more are expected.
Did hear rumour they were running service for a month, this does seem odd, why start in the first place just to operate a few flights then cancel, surely they would have been better not to start operations at all and rebook passengers on other airlines or from other UK airports or refunds

EC-ILS
9th Apr 2010, 08:37
BT operate the same times flight to/from DUB and they are a great sucess, the amount of connections on thr Baltics, Finland and beyond is impressive!

worsley
9th Apr 2010, 18:22
Hi

First post and not sure it this is the right forum. I am going to JFK with AA in a few weeks. Does any one know what internal state of the a/c will be like? I have done ORD with AA and the a/c is something out of the dark ages. Should I expect simlar or a BA level of service.

Can last 7 hours on a 757 or should I bring a book?

Cheers in advance

MUFC_fan
9th Apr 2010, 20:03
Will be standard AA service which is nowhere near that of BA, just a personal opinion.

They should be the newest of interiors and have 31-32 inches which isn't so bad - its more of the lack of a second aisle...

Plus, its a 757 so it will be fun!:ok:

TURIN
10th Apr 2010, 00:03
I see from other forum that the BIMAN has been knocked back again to late 2010. What happened?

HXdave
10th Apr 2010, 07:59
EK A380,

hi guys, just a quick query regarding the above. we know the service will be starting 01/09, however will there need to be a 'proving' flight using the A380 prior to the service starting for real? after all, there's no point finding out on 01st sept that someone has done their calculations wrong, and it turns out that just one tiny piece of the jigsaw does not fit into place.

any info greatly appreciated

regards

HXDave

42psi
10th Apr 2010, 08:35
wanna be there ....

I think you'll find you clear US immigration at DUB .... not customs.

Baggage does not need to be reclaimed and re-checked :ok:

Ian Brooks
10th Apr 2010, 10:48
HXdave

I would imagine a proving flight by one of the Airbus company A380 will be provided in order to calibrate stands etc and to confirm taxing routes and to familiarize the ground crew and ATC with handling the aircraft,from memory this is what has happened at most airports, however BHX handled an Emirates aircraft without the above being done

Ian B

wanna_be_there
10th Apr 2010, 10:54
With BHX being a one off, they might not have felt a huge need for the whole airport to be calibrated, a missed approach was sufficient.
All other airports that handle the A380 on a regular basis have all had the house model in to test, including BOS which at this moment is only a diversion point for NYC bound flights.

MAN has quite a unique set up too, needing back tracking and precision taxiing (the Aerodorme manual states some taxiways will need to use on board cameras to navigate), so Id say its pretty imperative airbus come and do a test or 2.

However, stand 12 will need to be competed along with its jetbridges first otherwise the the test would be pretty pointless.

Suzeman
10th Apr 2010, 11:46
I refer to my post a month ago where I suggested MAG get on a plane pronto and actually "sell the place as a viable alternate to BHX"

Could somebody behind the scenes at MAG comment as on the face of it "appears" to be a tremendous opportunity going begging through lack of ambition and aggresive marketing. :ugh:

Bagso
Have you any evidence to suggest that they didn't try?? In any competition, there is only going to be one winner, however hard people try.

Air Baltic have operated at least 3 flights to RIX, not sure how many more are expected.
Did hear rumour they were running service for a month, this does seem odd, why start in the first place just to operate a few flights then cancel, surely they would have been better not to start operations at all and rebook passengers on other airlines or from other UK airports or refunds

Quite possibly operated a handful of flights because of good bookings as it was over the Easter break?

Suzeman

GavinC
10th Apr 2010, 17:02
From the horses mouth. You can buy the magazine in WH Smiths

News and special features from our Current Issue covering the Greater Manchester area - Crain's Manchester Business (http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness.co.uk/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=toc)

Gavin

Ian Brooks
10th Apr 2010, 18:18
On line it is subscription only for that story so can you give us a rundown on what it says

Cheers
Ian B

Betablockeruk
12th Apr 2010, 08:51
Seems to be keen on adding a third daily flight within 18 months.

All names taken
12th Apr 2010, 12:18
New here, so apologies if this has been asked before:
With the A380 apparently going on to the end of Pier B (and I've watched the supporting ground works being constructed over several months whilst taxying past) surely there needs to be airbridges in place?
The prospect of climbing up steps from the apron to the upper deck seems bizzare - do such steps even exist?
Also using Pier B, as a passenger experience is like something from the 70s - I'm quite surprised that Emirates have agreed to use this, unless they have had some guarantee of improvements to follow.

Ian Brooks
12th Apr 2010, 12:26
Air bridges will be in place by August I am told

Ian B

The96er
12th Apr 2010, 13:22
As I understand it, a bridge is to be constructed on the end of Pier B to cross over the service road underneath which will then connect to a small housing 'Pepper-pot' which will contain an airbridge. I'm not sure if this is to be a single, double or even triple bridge arrangement though.
The eventual aim is to knock down pier B to be replaced with a new pier where arriving and departing passengers are separated over two floors similar to T2. However, I believe these plans are on hold until the current economic climate improves.

mantug01
12th Apr 2010, 16:38
Before they even started digging up Stand 14 & 12 to make the new A380 stand 12, MAPlc (as it was) invited all ground handlers and service providers to review the plans to agree it was a workable stand.

I attened a few of these meetings and asked the daft question of why no Airbridge, it was initally rejected due to funds and not much chance of seeing an A380.

From what 'The96er' said it seems they have gone with the design we sketched out, i even have the paper copy of the origional plans with the pen over the top of where the Airbridge should go.

At least they finally have seen scense....if they can built it in time.

Just for the record there are no A380 Upper Deck Passenger Servicing Steps ready for use yet.

All names taken
12th Apr 2010, 16:56
ok thanks for the info. Sounds like good news. Any timeframe on the replacement of Pier B? It really doesn't create a good impression for visitors....Pier C not much better btw

doorplane
12th Apr 2010, 19:15
Now that majority of work on the retail side of things seems complete, anyone know if there are any plans for more lounges / exec facilities at MAN??? I'm guessing T1 being the main likelihood?

al446
12th Apr 2010, 19:39
Just got back having flown from T3 for the 1st time and what a heap of dung the place is. OK, it is only the pedestrian route that p1sses me off. We were lucky, it wasn't throwing it down but it was bloody cold, is it beyond MAPlc to put in some kind of covered walkway for those plebs such as I who think it a good idea to use public transport?

We were flying BMIbaby to AMS but in future I'll go back to using EZY from LPL despite MAN being closer.

wanna_be_there
12th Apr 2010, 21:17
Let me get this straight, you are now flying from LPL that has a route from MAN, and closer, purely because you had to walk outside?!

Firstly, as you said, MAN is closer and better connected to public transport (MAN has a rail, coach and bus station) and if I remember correctly, public transport to LPL still stops outside in the open air and is a slightly further walk to the aircraft from the gate at LPL too (granted not by a huge amount but still)

Seems like your splitting a rather fine hair to me!!

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
12th Apr 2010, 21:39
I believe that a covered walkway from T1 to T3 is happening soon.
And the new A380 stand will have a double airbridge.... presuming it will serve upper and lower decks.

This info came from staff at MAN.

VH-OJH
12th Apr 2010, 22:45
Taken from the 1% reliable airlinersnet page is the following:-

As reported elsewhere (and person reporting appears to be spot on with their forecasts !): date for diary as there's an Airbus flight coming in from Toulouse on the 13th August at 1135 and departing to Hamburg on 14th August at 1335. No type mentioned but flight numbers AIB900/901. Let's see if we can work out what it can be....

Also mentioned by him is CX A340s from August 2011.

Possible that the A380may be true as this would be required before EK starts in Sept

But CX have we not been round the M60 clockwise and anti-clockwise on this one, only time will tell, thats if we are young enough to see it:hmm:

MattGarner
12th Apr 2010, 23:18
There has been a huge amount of discussion on the new AVP pricing policy which coincides with the introduction of the pay on exit barrier system, as with everything there are loosers and winners with change, obviously MAG have done market research and priced accordingly. I understand that most visitors stay less than 2 hours, these will benefit from a decrease, the changes really hit those staying more than 2 hours. The multi entrance ticket now seems to be an even bigger bargain. ***TAS have nothing to do with these changes***
Cars

£3 for up to 1 hours stay
£6 for up to 2 hours stay
£9 for up to 3 hours stay
£12 for over 3 hours stay Coaches

£12 for Coaches, no limit On Foot
FREE entry for visitors entering on foot, by public transport and bicycle (not motorbile)
Multi Entry
Multi Entry Tickets are also available please enquire at the Aviation shop’
Get a further 10% off is you are a member of the Aviation Society when you purchase your ticket from the Aviation shop.
The ticket covers one person for one visit and is not transferable.
Tickets can be purchased from the attendant in the entry kiosk or from the Aviation Shop. If you are a member of the Aviation Society and purchase your ticket from the shop, you will receive a further discount of 10%. What amazing value!

Taken from tasmanchester.com. Thoughts?

Betablockeruk
13th Apr 2010, 08:51
Passenger traffic at Manchester airport falls 6.95 per cent in March - Crain's Manchester Business (http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness.co.uk/article/20100413/FREE/100419976/1005)

2 items of interest:

The rate at which passenger traffic fell at Manchester airport slowed for the second month in a row, new figures reveal. The airport saw a total of 1.25m people go through its terminals last month, compared to 1.34m in the same period in 2009, a 6.95 per cent decline. In February, traffic was down 10.6 per cent while in January it fell 14 per cent.
Meanwhile, Jet2.com boss chief executive Philip Meeson said the airline planned to expand from Manchester in the future and possibly add transatlantic routes to its schedule.

lexxity
13th Apr 2010, 09:25
We were flying BMIbaby to AMS but in future I'll go back to using EZY from LPL despite MAN being closer.

You've no choice since the AMS has stopped now on baby.

I still think it's a disgrace that there's no pass holder discount (MAPLC aside) at the AVP. My little one loves to go but it's an expensive morning out. They don't charge at EMA and that's much the better park as there are more static displays to look at/in.

spannersatcx
13th Apr 2010, 10:34
Also mentioned by him is CX A340s from August 2011

Nope still going round the M60, you won't see a CX 340 at MAN, unless one diverts from LHR of course, and not in 2011 either,:eek:

al446
13th Apr 2010, 21:06
No hair being split by me, simply a pragmatic decision. We live on the outskirts of Rochdale and, since our train service (Oldham loop) was withdrawn in Oct to allow Metrolink to bugger it up, we have to take a taxi to R'dale station, change at Salford Crescent then walk quite a distance (if T3). From home to gate is about 1.5 hours on a good day. On a Sunday you can double that as it means Metro across town to catch train at Victoria.

From LPL, throw bags in car, 40 min drive to pre-booked parking, 5 min walk (if that) to check in. Same on the way back. No contest.

If you add to that no bar at MAN before airside I will go for LPL if poss.

I am in the fortunate position to have 3 airports nearby, LBA is not too far away so will choose the most comfortable option.

On a more positive note, we did notice this time round that security staff seemed more human/amenable, a welcome change, but did not make up for the crap layout of MAN.

Hope this clarifies things for you wanna_be_there. (http://www.pprune.org/members/320125-wanna_be_there)

PQC
13th Apr 2010, 22:36
Suggest that you direct your thoughts re this matter to Spotters Corner.

rkenyon
14th Apr 2010, 02:15
No hair being split by me, simply a pragmatic decision. We live on the outskirts of Rochdale and, since our train service (Oldham loop) was withdrawn in Oct to allow Metrolink to bugger it up, we have to take a taxi to R'dale station, change at Salford Crescent then walk quite a distance (if T3). From home to gate is about 1.5 hours on a good day. On a Sunday you can double that as it means Metro across town to catch train at Victoria.

From LPL, throw bags in car, 40 min drive to pre-booked parking, 5 min walk (if that) to check in. Same on the way back. No contest.

Err... why not throw bags in car, 30 min drive to pre-booked parking at MAN, 5 min walk (if that) to check in. If you've got a car, why bother with taxi/train?

AUTOGLIDE
14th Apr 2010, 07:59
al446. If you really, really need a bar before going airside at T3, you'll find that the large, unmssable coffee shop has a large unmissable refrigerator full of alcoholic beverages.

MancRy
14th Apr 2010, 10:56
You can bang your head against a brick wall because i know many plane/airport geeks have there views against the increase in retail at certain airports but the fact of the matter is that it is what MOST passengers want. The most common complaint RE: T3 at MAN is the fact that there aren't enough retail outlets. If, in a years time, we see a significant amount of retailers pulling out of T1 then maybe you have a point... but if not we can assume they are making money and therefore providing what passengers want.

Tight Seat
14th Apr 2010, 11:08
SASKATOON9999,

I have to say that most of my punters like the 'new' T1 , the fast security is one of the best in the country.

And please don't use the word abortion out of context, its distasteful and dumbs down any valid points you have to make.

Cheers TS

Betablockeruk
14th Apr 2010, 11:43
There will always be the exception but I've found all three terminals quite slick in terms of security and shops can be ignored. The only poor show was the first visible screen in T3 with 'blue screen of death' - but that can happen to anyone.

Anyway, whatever happened to this scheme for Pier B?

Aedas.com - MANCHESTER AIRPORT TERMINAL 1 (http://www.aedas.com/Europe/ManchesterAirportTerminal1)

Planemike
14th Apr 2010, 12:14
since our train service (Oldham loop) was withdrawn in Oct to allow Metrolink to bugger it up

Oh, in what way?? The services to Altrincham and Bury run by Metrolink seem very good, I have used them regularly over the years. I think it is safe to assume a similar standard of service will be provded to Oldham.

Planemike

Manchester Kurt
14th Apr 2010, 12:41
Indeed, as someone who lives on the Alty line I can testify that the Metrolink service is significantly better than the old heavy rail service.

It is no surprise that passenger numbers more than doubled as soon as the line opened as Metrolink, and have continued to grow ever since.

We'll all see the benefits come 2016 when the trams reach the airport - giving those in the south of the region much improved public transport links to the airport - no need to travel into town any more to get to the airport!

doorplane
14th Apr 2010, 13:32
Anyone heard anything about a potential Escape Lounge being developed in T1?

Betablockeruk
14th Apr 2010, 13:44
Terminal 1 'Escape Lounge' - opens July 2010

Peover Prop
14th Apr 2010, 17:32
Sorry fellas as you can see I am new here what on earth is an escape lounge?

ToNeL
14th Apr 2010, 17:53
Hi,

Anyone know what happened to all the photographs taken by Airviews?

TSR2
14th Apr 2010, 19:42
An Escape Lounge is a type of executive lounge available to all passengers at a rather expensive charge.

Momentary Lapse
14th Apr 2010, 19:50
Escape is an MAG "premium" brand. In this context it's a lounge run by a part of the MA Group, rather than by the usual airline or handling agent.

At one time Escape was planned to encompass other premium products and services too.

al446
14th Apr 2010, 20:04
To all who are fans of Metrolink - I think it's crap, you don't. I was quite happy with our service before they shut for 3 soddin years. I also used to live in Sale on old BR service. Perfectly fine to me and cheaper. But this an aviation site so let us all have our preferences and only refer to them in terms of aviation.

you'll find that the large, unmssable coffee shop has a large unmissable refrigerator full of alcoholic beverages.

So does any supermarket I wish to use prior to departing home but I don't like canned beer, never have. Are you a salesman for MAG? Or possibly an apologist?

I maintain my view that T3 is a heap of crap and will not use it if an alternative is available within reasonable distance. In fact I would no longer use MAN unless no alternative.

wanna_be_there
14th Apr 2010, 20:27
Fair enough AL, you are entitled to your opinions.
Have you tried any other terminal at MAN?, we have 1 and 2 you know, not just 3.
Every airport has its problems, up until very recently LPL had issues with security queues to the point Easyjet publicly humiliated LPL over it.

Just for the record, T3 does have a bar, even has real beer pumps and everything (amazing that!), so you dont have to drink 'canned beer'.

Your main gripe was having to walk outside, so im guessing you arrived at the transport hub, and im also assuming that for whatever reason, you chose to ignore the free bus that links the terminals and rail station, thus evading the cold.

In terms of metrolink, as you say its the Oldham-Manchester line thats your main gripe. I hardly see why its MAN's fault for that, its not their decision to do it.

So, to sum it up, maybe you were just having a bad day that day?

wanna_be_there
14th Apr 2010, 20:47
Something tells me the F class cabin from MAN on EK isnt selling that well.
The inital fare of over £4000 has now come all the way down to £2336. Still more than LHR but with over 4 months to go, its not the most encouraging sight in the world

TURIN
14th Apr 2010, 21:12
Abortion.
From the Freedictionary.com

Amongst the more obvious definitions of the word......

4. The premature ending or abandonment of an undertaking.
5. Something that is regarded as poorly made or done.

Yup, that just about sums up our favourite airport.

Planemike
14th Apr 2010, 22:23
To all who are fans of Metrolink - I think it's crap, you don't. I was quite happy with our service before they shut for 3 soddin years. I also used to live in Sale on old BR service. Perfectly fine to me and cheaper. But this an aviation site so let us all have our preferences and only refer to them in terms of aviation.

Guess you would still have us being hauled around by steam locomotives.......!!!! Methinks that if you can remember the airport when it was called Ringway you will be old enough to hold a travel pass and enjoy the same free travel that I and many others do, OK you pay a subsidised fare before 09:30 on weekdays.

Planemike

PS Just noticed you a have a while to go for the pass........!!! Enjoy it when the time comes !!!!!

johnnychips
14th Apr 2010, 22:34
I can remember it being Ringway! (see left for age)

I use T3 a lot, and although it's a bit of a strange maze to get through security and to some gates, I do think it's improved over the past two years.

The central bar inside has always been fine, though I do agree with al446 that the walk from the station/bus station is much more complicated (and possibly wet) than the old way of walking through T1 landside past the Donkey Stone and Burger King which are sadly missed.

Momentary Lapse
14th Apr 2010, 22:40
I forgot to explain that the whole point of the Escape Lounge is to allow "pay on the door" lounge facilities for those that haven't got lounge access as part of their premium/first class ticket.

It's aimed at the sort of people who pay for upgrades on their charter flight like legroom or seat width.

At the time of launch it was £15 including food and drink, papers and internet access, and no kids allowed. A bargain if you've got a couple of hours to kill and it's busy in the main dep lounge.

I see it's now £20 and kids 6+ are allowed in. C'est la vie.

Mr A Tis
15th Apr 2010, 08:40
Guess its pretty quite in the airside shopping malls today. Now if only T1 & T2 had landside shops, bars & cafes they could have made a fortune.............ah well, progress.

MUFC_fan
15th Apr 2010, 12:05
Something tells me the F class cabin from MAN on EK isnt selling that well.
The inital fare of over £4000 has now come all the way down to £2336. Still more than LHR but with over 4 months to go, its not the most encouraging sight in the world

So they are more expensive than LHR, one of the most premium airports in the world, however this is a bad thing?!

The HD model will be on the route when it becomes available I am sure.

Curious Pax
15th Apr 2010, 12:15
Perhaps they temporarily jacked up the price to £4K to see if anyone snapped it up as soon as it went on sale. Now that initial moment has passed they've moved to more regular pricing. The fact that they did that, and the fact that it is still more expensive than the LHR equivalent would suggest the opposite to what you imply!

wanna_be_there
15th Apr 2010, 13:27
Yes but dont forget, the london equivilent may be slightly cheaper as there is much more volume. 5 services each way as apposed to our 1 (with F class) and thats just on EK.
Dont forget, they also have the likes of BA/QR/QF/EY and every other F class carrier at LHR, so may make the fares slightly cheaper to compete.

MUFC_fan
15th Apr 2010, 14:09
I would agree that there is substancial demand from LHR, however it is all matched to demand...

AUTOGLIDE
16th Apr 2010, 08:44

Quote:
you'll find that the large, unmssable coffee shop has a large unmissable refrigerator full of alcoholic beverages.

So does any supermarket I wish to use prior to departing home but I don't like canned beer, never have. Are you a salesman for MAG? Or possibly an apologist?

I maintain my view that T3 is a heap of crap and will not use it if an alternative is available within reasonable distance. In fact I would no longer use MAN unless no alternative.

Oh, you poor thing. Life can be ever so harsh. :rolleyes:

ManofMan
16th Apr 2010, 10:59
TOM663 on approach at the moment, things clearing up ???

Betablockeruk
16th Apr 2010, 11:20
6 movements allowed until 1300 (not sure whether bst or gmt) then shut again

ManofMan
16th Apr 2010, 11:34
6 movements allowed until 1300 (not sure whether bst or gmt) then shut again

Why is it safe for these six and then shut again ??? Puzzled !!!

lfc84
16th Apr 2010, 11:48
bbc news just flashed up that manchester was handling a diversion

only has a quick glance so dont know if it reproted more info than that, and its gone off the screen now

pwalhx
16th Apr 2010, 12:35
BBC Website says 2 take offs and 1 landing, Radio said 3 take offs and 2 landings so a little confusion reigns I think.

eggc
16th Apr 2010, 12:47
I think all departures have been transatlantic.

A couple to Cancun were showing, although these may have missed their slots, and Thomas Cook 330 has recently departed to SFB.

Mr A Tis
16th Apr 2010, 13:05
Why couldn't relatively low level turbo props, say at FL60 flights have operated to the IOM/Belfast ?

All names taken
16th Apr 2010, 13:09
I'm glad you've said what I've been thinking. I was supposed to fly to Belfast with FlyBe today. Surely no harm at FL60? Other than burning a bit more fuel....:confused:

Spotter LBA
16th Apr 2010, 13:23
There has been a small window where the ash particles were not affecting the MAN area heading west out over Ireland this lunch time making it safe for aircraft movements however it was short lived in the MAN area. I believe that most of Ireland is still ok however with very little movements. Recently Aer Lingus had a departure from Dublin to Boston.

wanna_be_there
16th Apr 2010, 19:32
Id expect MAN to be open to traffic tomorrow:

''confirmation by National Air Traffic Services that Scottish air space is open again for business tonight and that the skies to the north and west of the geographical line between Manchester and Leeds Bradford are clear for flying through tomorrow''

And flyBE are operating MAN-BHD tomorrow. Is it safe to assume some Trans atlantic visitors could pop in also?

Ringwayman
16th Apr 2010, 20:01
Looks like MAN is open from 0400 to 1000 at least. Post 1000, they're expecting to reinstate restrictions.

wanna_be_there
16th Apr 2010, 20:12
Im not expecting anything into MAN though.

The US flights probably wouldnt get here before 10:00, and by that point the restriction may be back in force.

Also, there are only about 8-14 stands free at MAN, so short of parking based aircraft on runway 2, I dont think we have anywhere to put the arrivals

MAN777
16th Apr 2010, 20:22
Wanna be there

Do I detect a hint of the "cant do" attitude that riddles Manchester these days !!

Of course theres room, there are acres and acres of space.

Ever heard of top and tailing ?

Runway 2 starter strip (as per the Uefa final)

Remember 8 Eurofly A320s on 2 stands

I could go on.

I bet that no one at MAG has had the foresight to make some room for diversions, just in case:ugh:

wanna_be_there
16th Apr 2010, 20:26
MAN777, I would love for diversions to come in, im a believer that if they did impliment R2 parking (lets face it, with just TATL's and some northbound domestics, the place isnt going to be hugely busy), the airport could handle well over 30 aircraft.
Topping and tailing could add more to that!

I agree with you that its just management wont have the initiative to move the a/c around and accept them.

With us being much closer to Londinium, we'd be a much better prospect for LON bound diversions.

This being MAN though, well see (and although id love diversions to come in, im betting we see diddly squat tomorrow)

MAN777
16th Apr 2010, 20:33
Wanna be there

apologies, you are obviously on the same wavelength as me:)

wanna_be_there
16th Apr 2010, 20:40
apparently MAN ops is insisting the airport stay shut until 1300

Are they completly stupid!!!! they are one of the very few UK airports to be given a 6 hour window to at least start to clear the US bound backlog and they are saying no???

That place is loosing the plot- completly!!!!

The96er
16th Apr 2010, 21:16
I think there are very few parking spaces available at MAN at the moment to except diversions. But, I expect the airport to make very little effort to help anyway, as we all remember the debacle over the winter months in not accepting diversions.
What was interesting walking through T1 and T2 yesterday about 12:00 was that the info screens were saying 'next info at 13:00' - even though at the time, it was known by all Ops agents at the airport that restrictions were in place until 18:00 at the earliest. One would assume it's good for the airport shopping tills to give people false hope :E
BTW, does anybody know how many BA aircraft are stuck on the other side of the pond roughly ??

Mr.Bloggs
16th Apr 2010, 21:21
Yes, Manchester seems to be an airport which does not wish to make a profit, or even to satisfy its customers' requirements. Rather strange in this day and age.

wanna_be_there
16th Apr 2010, 21:29
Over 20 stands free at MAN, i could provide the list too.
Also, parking on the link between R1 and R2, as well as the starter strip for R2 could be used for parking as they did back for the EUFA cup, so, move all the jet2's, monarchs and so on, that arnt going anywhere and use the gates/stands for the TATL's
If they did that, may have room for over 30 flights.

Manchester Kurt
17th Apr 2010, 06:42
Maybe the people at the airport were aware that airspace would be shut until 7pm tonight, at the absolute earliest and by making an early decision they've saved money by not having people coming in who did not need to?

pwalhx
17th Apr 2010, 07:56
Ryanair have cancelled flights till Monday, Jet2 have cancelled all flights today, maybe Manchester is just making a decision based on the circumstances.

Havent seen people criticising FR in the way MAN is being here, its the old bottle half full syndrome I guess,

Ian Brooks
17th Apr 2010, 07:57
I would say good call Manchester, difficult times at moment but decisions have to be made to either bring staff in or keep them at home and the more advance warning the better. If you have a number of people on call who live nearby who can get in if needed all the better as should a window become available for limited ops

Ian b

pwalhx
17th Apr 2010, 08:44
Quote from the BBC

'Manchester and Liverpool airports had been offered a six-hour window - between 0400 BST and 1000 BST - in which to operate some flights, but the changing conditions meant that was later revoked.'

Seems it wasn't a decision by Manchester ops.

daz211
17th Apr 2010, 09:25
People need to know what is happening it is not good enough to offer some flights
in a small window of time, people have traveled hours from MAN only to be contacted
to say you flight has been given the go ahead then they travel back to MAN only to be told sorry no flights.
Airlines need to take a leaf out of Ryanairs book and say no flights to at least monday
and on the subject of Ryanair their website has to be the best by far for keeping passengers updated and with links to other sites like the cloud map I would say Ryanairs customer service is at a very high standard I would even go as far as saying
its the most updated and easy readable airline website out there at the moment.

Ian Brooks
17th Apr 2010, 10:41
The flight and 2 attempted flights were all repatriation flights and were all going
out empty so could in theory go at the drop of a hat as long as crew were ready
and flight planning could be completed in time, which it appears proved impossible for 2 of the flights.
The inbound flights were both diversions and not originally due in Manchester
I presume company ops had planned these flights with the window in mind and were flexible as to where they went and had things changed early on would have either gone back to where they were from or div`d into somewhere enroute

Ian B

learjet50
17th Apr 2010, 11:57
Re Stand availability.

As one of the posts said the Airport buried there head in the sand again.

Why not call Peter Hampson he will sort you a few no Lts more stands out as he did for the UEFA Cup Final.

No Thats to easy I will sit in me Ivory Tower looking at all the Aircraft on the stands and think of the Profit of Parking costs etc Too much hard work to put me brains in gear and move as someone said all the Jet2 Thompson etc who are clearly going no where to R2

After all dont think we will need R2 for a Few days and it will give the Handling agents something to do. The Weathers ok so the Towing Lads might be glad to go to Costa Del R2 .

Ian Brooks
17th Apr 2010, 12:05
Think they are using runway 2 some of the time as there is a lot of work going on near the edge of 23R/05L

Ian B

viscount702
17th Apr 2010, 19:21
23R/05L is supposed to be closed Sunday to Thursday From 2300 to 0600 whilst they work on the runway and taxiways.

23L/05R is used during this period

easyJet A321
17th Apr 2010, 20:59
I really don't understand why pepole are having a go at MAN, if they were to say to a plane over the pond that the airport is maybe going to be open at a certain time whats to say that when the plane completes it 6-10 hour journey that the air space over the UK won't be closed, so where do you think that plane is going to go?

MancRy
18th Apr 2010, 01:10
What gets to me with this "MAN Bashing" is that a it appears to be a small number of "plane geeks" who simply want a cheap thrill by seeing some "exotic" 747 divert into MAN.

AUTOGLIDE
18th Apr 2010, 06:17
Easyjet A321 - exactly!
Nobody is going to send off L/H flights because there is an unpredictable window within an ash cloud, it is too unpredictable. Same goes for S/H, the airlines are hardly going to keep pax for days on end at an airport just in case a narrow window opens. The logistics alone are a nightmare.
It wouldn't matter what MAN does, the flights haven't left their bases, there is the best part of sweet FA airborne, and nothing to land here anyway.

Adola69
18th Apr 2010, 09:51
Just thought that I'd let you all know that despite NATS closing airspace, it appears that there is a small window of opportunity available above my Garden, as I have been plauged recently by low flying Wasps and Pigeons.
Don't they realise how dangerous it is to fly in these present perilous conditions.
I managed to down one wasp and upon close examination there appeared to be no damage caused by volcanic ash to its structure, but a lot caused by my spade!
This is adola69 reporting for Pprune, 6 miles west of Manchester International.

:rolleyes:

Bagso
18th Apr 2010, 12:15
here here , this talk of handling diversions is maronic....

and why do the news bulletins keep saying a decision will be made in 12 hours, EVERY 12 hours ! blah blah blah, when its faily obvious there is not a cat in hells chance of this clearing anytime soon.........?:ugh:

And where is the Government ? I cannot believe the totol and utter abdication of any politician to assist people in some way shape or form ?

Also just out of curiousity if "the other ones blows" which is 10 times bigger , does anybody know if we will be be plunged into a new ice age ? If so it does sort of makes the General Election rather irrelevent does it not !

PS Can I also add that I also spotted a "window of opportunity" in the clear airspace near Chester, to do my lawn this morning, I thought I may have stumbled on some volcanic ash but sadly it turned out to be a bit of soil......

ben_keghead
18th Apr 2010, 13:25
What exactly can the UK government do at this time? Yes there are a lot of people affected including myself...but I dont see what anyone can do. We are just waiting for this volcano to stop, and/or the weather pattern and winds aloft to divert the ash elsewhere.
Once this happens and the airspace is open, then they may be able to get something set up. Its one of the downsides of living on an island - limitted ways on and off it.

conti onepass
18th Apr 2010, 13:53
thomsons have kindly let me change my flight to next saturday to palma for no charge!!! do you think it will be operating, but monarch want me to pay 381.86 to come back, how can they cash in on people like this.

purplehelmet
18th Apr 2010, 14:39
anyone know if any test flights are planned for man today or tommrow?
a couple of light aircraft have been buzzing round stockport area this afternoon.

TartinTon
18th Apr 2010, 15:31
conti onepass....Monarch are changing free of charge if you can get through to the call centre or retrospectively refunding if you use their change online facility, according to their website. If you weren't booked with Monarch originally then I expect the fare is high either becasue the flight is all but full or because they are trying to put people off booking until they know when they can actually start flying people

PQC
18th Apr 2010, 21:36
And two days after your posts, where are these mythical diversions?

I think that the MAN Management team are dealing with the here and now MAN777 and not taking too much notice of some half-baked wishes from a few spotters!

And as for profits, well just check out how much BAA and Peel made last year compared to MAG.

MAN777
18th Apr 2010, 22:38
I think that the MAN Management team are dealing with the here and now MAN777 and not taking too much notice of some half-baked wishes from a few spotters!

PQC have you never heard of looking for business opportunities ? In these lean times every chance to make money should be taken, OK so the diversions didnt come this time, but they could easily have done and still might.

As far as MAG dealing with the situation here and now, well take it from me there is absolutely nowt happening airside apart from a few ops vehicles floating around looking for work. The highlight of the day was a visiting cirrus from Blackpool oh and a microlight drifted along the runway centreline. !!!

Yes I am a spotter and proud of it, but I am also an airport worker (with 30 years airside experience) that wants to see the airport survive these hard times and see jobs protected, so what is so wrong with that ?

Ringwayman
19th Apr 2010, 16:03
open from 0900 tomorrow subject to no more ash cloud

lexxity
19th Apr 2010, 16:28
Fingers crossed, but looking out the window here, 12 miles away right slap bang under the usual flight path, the sky is a very claggy browny colour. Hoping for the best and normal ops resumed asap.

david1994
19th Apr 2010, 16:39
UK airspace will be opening tomorrow from 7am for Scotland, Blackpool and also Northern Ireland. Manchester by 9AM and London in afternoon http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Charlie Roy
19th Apr 2010, 21:58
Manchester by 9AM
New ash cloud on the way: Volcanic Ash: Air Passengers Warned Of Further Delays As New Ash Cloud Spreads Towards UK | UK News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Volcanic-Ash-Air-Passengers-Warned-Of-Further-Delays-As-New-Ash-Cloud-Spreads-Towards-UK/Article/201004315608774?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15608774_Volcanic_Ash%3A_Air_Passengers_Warned_O f_Further_Delays_As_New_Ash_Cloud_Spreads_Towards_UK)

:ouch:

Suzeman
19th Apr 2010, 23:00
Now 1300 local Tuesday - subject to change again of course.

Suzeman

MAN777
20th Apr 2010, 08:18
Change again, not expected to open until 7 PM if at all:ugh:

Looking at the latest Radarvirtuel screen shot of europe on the main volcano thread mainland europe seems to be very active even though it still appears to be covered in ash !

learjet50
20th Apr 2010, 08:45
Suzeman

Let Get our Bus passess and go on a Tour of the Real Ale Pubs in Cheshire.

Hope u well

Regards

Gerry

STATSMAN
20th Apr 2010, 10:38
Just seen a TOM 757 (could have been 767) do a visual on to 23R

MAN777
20th Apr 2010, 10:44
It was a 757 ex Skyservice lease . It arrived VFR over the Irish sea from Iceland. You can track its route here, change time to 10.30 and hit replay at x50.

Casper - live aircraft tracking (http://casper.frontier.nl/egcc/)

Another movement is an American Gulfstream 5 due to depart VFR to the west very shortly -3000ft

ManofMan
20th Apr 2010, 11:25
Hearing a rumour that the arriving 757 had deposits of ash in the engines ??? Anyone closer to the action able to confirm or deny??.

I have recieved this information 2nd hand so in no way can vouch for its authenticity.

purplehelmet
20th Apr 2010, 13:49
i went for a walk along the southside road a few hours ago, the only thing that moved was a flybe dash8 doing engine runs,quite a strange sight seeing 60 odd aircraft not going anywhere and the whole place so silent and still.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
20th Apr 2010, 16:21
2 FCA liveried 757s have just gone in on 23L in quick succession.

Are these ex-lease, diverts, test flights?

How do they get permission to operate? Simply file VFR flightplans and accept any risk themselves?

ManofMan
20th Apr 2010, 16:57
Are these ex-lease, diverts, test flights?

Returning from lease ex Skyservice, the operated in VFR as did the earlier one, two more went into LTN.

Cheers

Mom

Bagso
20th Apr 2010, 17:20
Re Ben-Keghead

...as i suggested there ARE things that can be done.

The...

setting up a bridgehead in Madrid
provision of coaches in Spain for diverted pax
RN now involved in ferrying pax from Calais and Santander

Here here for a bit of creative thinking...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for diverts 5Live just reported 12 BA wide bodies in the air 1800 TUES expected in UK airspace 2100.

If MAN is open I suspect it will master div number one....and can you honestly see the airport then turning them away, of course not, it would be a unmitigated PR disaster !

david1994
20th Apr 2010, 18:12
I am currently tracking this BA flight on radarVirtual

Fight Number : BAW17V
Company : British Airways
ICAO Hex Code : 405BFC
Reg Code : G-YMMS
Model : Boeing - B772
Departure : DEN (http://www.radarvirtuel.com/#) - Denver, Denver International - USA

It has been holding for the last hour over the Isle Of Man, so if MAN not open to traffic?

Bagso
20th Apr 2010, 19:06
Yes Im looking at RV as well....there are upward of 400 aircraft in the air now, mostly over Europe.

The ash cloud is covering BRU as well so who knows what is going on......!

wanna_be_there
20th Apr 2010, 19:57
G-CIVT seems to now be MAN bound

wanna_be_there
20th Apr 2010, 20:00
QR001 now seems to be curving towards us. MAN bound?

MUFC_fan
20th Apr 2010, 20:01
Is that not heading to EDI along with a sister ship?

wanna_be_there
20th Apr 2010, 20:07
It was supposed to be but deffinatly going further south. Too south for EDI me thinks? Might go for LHR though, thats where BA84 going

Mr.Bloggs
20th Apr 2010, 21:15
ManOfMan, someone was pulling your leg. Ash doesn't get deposited directly into jet engines. There are many good explanations of what happens to ash in th e pages of this website.

Looking at your recent contributions makes me think. Are you against aviation? Manchester airport is suffering enough without silly rumours like yours, pal.

Buck up your ideas.

Regards from a fellow spotter.

TURIN
20th Apr 2010, 21:30
Mr Bloggs,

Manofman said ash deposits, a reasonable enough term to use in this case.

We all know what he/she meant and as he/she did admit it was second hand rumour most of us will also take it with a pinch of salt until it's backed up by evidence.

Chill. :ok:

IB4138
20th Apr 2010, 21:38
Someone needs to get the CEO at MAN out of bed to kick the web site operator up in the air, as according to that, UK airspace is still closed. :rolleyes:

david1994
20th Apr 2010, 21:39
Someone needs to get the CEO at MAN out of bed to kick the web site operator up in the air, as according to that, UK airspace is still closed.

No it doesnt !!! I am seeing this on there website

This page was last updated on Tuesday 20th April 2010 at 22:00

Airspace Restrictions Update

The Civil Aviation Authority has confirmed that UK airspace will be available from 22:00 today.

IB4138
20th Apr 2010, 21:45
All depends which page you look at.

Live Flight Information - Arrivals

All flights in UK airspace are currently suspended.

Live Flight Information - Departures

For the latest news on the situation at the airport please check our home page.

Due to the current disruption there are high volumes of visitors to our website. To ensure that all visitors are able to access the latest updates quickly we are presenting our website in a simplified manner to our usual web presence.

Very simple....no flights listed! :ugh:

eggc
20th Apr 2010, 21:47
No arrivals as of 2250 at MAN - however 15 (Fifteen!) TCX's are due out, all at 2300 !

david1994
20th Apr 2010, 21:48
Can people not read :confused: Yes it says this:

Live Flight Information - Arrivals

For the latest news on the situation at the airport please check our home page (http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/).

But is does say go to home page for the latest :ok:

lasernigel
21st Apr 2010, 08:05
Man website still showing "flights suspended" and go to home page, which says the same.
Friend going out today on Emirates. Emirates website showing EK 018 will be 40 mins late on departure at 1450hrs.
Methinks web site guy has slept in!:D

ManofMan
21st Apr 2010, 09:47
ManOfMan, someone was pulling your leg. Ash doesn't get deposited directly into jet engines. There are many good explanations of what happens to ash in th e pages of this website.

Looking at your recent contributions makes me think. Are you against aviation? Manchester airport is suffering enough without silly rumors like yours, pal.

Buck up your ideas.

Regards from a fellow spotter.

Mr Bloggs, are you on drugs or can you not read ??? I said it was second hand and thats why i threw it to the wider audience, if you don't have an answer can i suggest that you Buck your ideas up ???

Yeah...I am dead against aviation, so much so that my company employs over 100 people in....you guessed it...the aviation industry !!!!

I suppose the TCX flight that returned last night was due to me being against aviation...nope was a build up of ash in the bleed valve...then we have the Tarom 737 from EHAM yesterday, the KLM from EHAM, the World MD11...the list goes on.

Suggest before you go chucking accusations around you read the posts properly....PAL

Mr @ Spotty M
21st Apr 2010, 18:53
If you do not fit engine blanks to your a/c, Ash can well be deposited into the engines, especially as the Thomson a/c that flew in had been parked up in Iceland for 3 or 4 days.

HXdave
21st Apr 2010, 19:58
Ok guy, i used to have a respect for monarch. as a travel agent, always though that they were a very reliable, well trusted company.

unfortunately today, that has all gone out of the window.

had some friends booked on AGP - MAN flight that was cancelled due to the closure of the airspace. OK, fair enough, not Monarch's fault. However once airspace opens, monarch puts out a flight schedule and at 8am this morning managed to book my friends on the ZB9661 flight back this evening. even checked on the manchester airport website which clearly showed 2 monarch flights departed (ZB660 & ZB9660), within about half hour of each other. preparing to go and collect my friends from manchester, when i recieved a call from my friend saying they were at malaga, and the check in staff knew nothing of this flight (ZB9661), and only had details for the ZB661. more checks and more checks (unfortunately i was away from my PC, so could do nothing straight away). Trying to call monarch is a nightmare, where it will not allow you through (even after answering your call with a recorded message at 10p per minute). eventually got in the queue where after 30 mins on hold my mobile died. Got home and straight onto the landline at just after 8pm, to be advised that they are now closed!

my friends are now at the mercy of the handling agents in malaga, who might - only might - be able to get them on a flight to LGW, but even that is not certain. and once at gatwick, it's gonna take longer to get from gatwick to halifax than the flight itself.

anyone from Monarch care to comment on why my friends were rebooked onto an imaginary flight?

Ringwayman
22nd Apr 2010, 14:39
Extra Singapore Airlines service tomorrow - arrrives 0615, departs 1120 and looks like Cathay Pacific operating a passenger service: CX2258 showing for arriving 1630.

MUFC_fan
22nd Apr 2010, 14:48
So they're not sending them through LHR/FRA?!:eek:

Ringwayman
22nd Apr 2010, 15:06
been a while since bmibaby featured, so to make up for it, expansion being talked about (http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness.co.uk/article/20100422/FREE/100429955/1005) by them with 5 to 7 routes and 2 more based aircraft.

Bagso
22nd Apr 2010, 17:43
Re Monarch

..Not sure what this has to do with Manchester, there is a Monarch thread is there not ?

pwalhx
22nd Apr 2010, 17:59
I guess the relevance is they are referring to a flight into Manchester and this is the Manchester thread.

FFHKG
22nd Apr 2010, 19:59
No CX departure to MAN appearing on HKG departures for tomorrow as yet. An extra LHR flight, CX2257 is scheduled to depart HKG at 12.30hrs (HK Time)

The96er
22nd Apr 2010, 20:18
I suspect the extra CX flight No to MAN may be an extra 'tag-on' codeshare on one of the BA shuttles to tie in with the extra flight from HKG - LHR. I could be wrong though.

spannersatcx
22nd Apr 2010, 20:22
The plan was to operate extra flts into Euroland to try and pickup stranded pax from a few places, was to be a 777, slot was applied for.

However after a rethink 2 extra sectors are now being flown to AMS instead.:{

There will be an extra CX flt tomorrow though the 037 instead of going to LHR will now go to MAN to free up a slot at LHR, the 037 is a freighter by the way.:sad:

Ringwayman
22nd Apr 2010, 20:27
Typical. Found the would be outbound sector as CX2259 leaving at 1950.

Instead, we can perhaps think of Thai incase they can't secure slots at LHR as that's what they stated they are contemplating doing - might be likely given that the SQ flight numbers tally up quite nicely with their LHR operations and have indicated that they weren't able to secure slots to operate it into LHR.

wanna_be_there
22nd Apr 2010, 20:41
Shame, would have been nice to see a CX B773 at MAN.

Heres to hoping Thai need extra slots and SQ requires extra uplift....

Mr A Tis
22nd Apr 2010, 21:47
Had a friend stuck in Dubai for several days with Emirates.
Despite having hundreds of stranded people bound for Newcastle & Manchester all the extra flights (there were several) EK put all of them into Gatwick.
Pax were told if you accept the Gatwick flt then you are on your own after that.
Pretty disapointing that none of the extras were routed into MAN.
Having spent 5 days in Dubai, including 2 days at the airport, they were in effect dumped at Gatwick at midnight.

wanna_be_there
23rd Apr 2010, 09:37
There will be 2 B773 of Singapore air at MAN tomorrow.

SQ328 as usual, and taken off Singaporeair:

24th April 2010 - Saturday - Flight Number SQ8318 / Aircraft (B777-300ER) (http://javascript<b></b>:makePopupWindow('/saa/en_UK/Pricing/EquipmentDetailsDisplay.jsp?equipment=77W&equipmentName=B777-300ER','EquipmentDetails',800,600);)

AirportScheduled TimeActual TimeEstimated TimeStatusDeparture From Singapore (SIN) 23:30 (-1) Arrival In Manchester (MAN) 06:15

And then on sunday will see an extra B772 again. Apparently the SQ8318 will be flying until 1st May

learjet50
23rd Apr 2010, 20:31
seems like SQ care about there Pax

They maybe slightly more expensive that there rivals but when the SXXt hits the Fan they seem to care more about the stranded Man Pax

KEEP BOOKING SQ they care about Pax not just taking your Money

NNNN

wanna_be_there
23rd Apr 2010, 21:10
Singapore Airlines 3 daily until 28th April.

Tomorrow we have:

SQ8318 arrive 06:30 9V-SWS B773
SQ0328 arrive 07:30 9V-SWL B773
SQ8328 arrive 14:45 9V-SWP B773

Going to be a busy day for the singapre groundstaff tomorrow

Egerton Flyer
23rd Apr 2010, 21:10
learjet,
Don't get carried away, I heard that they can't get extra slots at LHR, so they are bringing most passengers back via Manchester.
1 or 2 extra daily flights until 1st May

E.F.

MAN777
23rd Apr 2010, 21:51
SQ A380 would be nice :)

Would be a great piece of marketing getting in ahead of EK.

wanna_be_there
23rd Apr 2010, 21:57
MAN777, as great as it would be, they are using the A388 on all 3 LHR services, and using the B773 shifted off the SQ308 to operate the SQ8318

I for one am just greatful for the 3 daily service!

Bagso
24th Apr 2010, 06:42
RE extra flights SIA

..."no slots at LHR, hence MAN"

That maybe true, but I bet for 40% of those pax MAN is a better option than LHR anyway !

I am pretty sure that is "still" the figure that the CAA quote as the pax that originate North of BHX that use LHR.

If that is still the case, it would make more sense for most repat flights to come to MAN as it is geographically at the centre of the UK and much more convenient in terms of onward travel re road/rail connections.

...using LGW as EK have done is really piling on the misery and adding insult to injury........it certainly adds nothing in terms of convenience, unless of course all those pax live in Sussex, Surrey etc...er no I dont think so !:ugh:

Dr747
25th Apr 2010, 14:35
PIA are also flying in extra flights to MAN from ISB. Some PAX who are supposed to be on LHE-LHR during the airspace closure have been given the stand by dates of 15/06/2010!!! or the only other option is to drive to ISB and then being dumped at MAN, not a very attractive option for someone who lives in Southeast... PIA dont know anything about the customer services anymore.

Momentary Lapse
25th Apr 2010, 17:23
Perhaps EK is offloading at LGW as the nearest large airport to its origin, so it can turn round and get back to collect the next load of unlucky travellers.

Flying to MAN and back adds, what, 1 hour to each leg of the journey? They could be back over central Europe and on their way to lifting the next load by then.

Maybe it's just a way to shift quantity at the expense of quality.

At least they're trying.

pwalhx
25th Apr 2010, 17:54
I seriously doubt, although happy to be corrected, that MAN is 1hr further than LGW from DXB

MUFC_fan
25th Apr 2010, 17:56
Flight time would be at most 10 minutes longer and that is dependant on winds, routing etc.

Plus, arriving and departing at LGW will take far longer than MAN due to the amazingly congested skies over London.

Momentary Lapse
25th Apr 2010, 21:45
Fair enough. Happy to be put right chaps.

doorplane
26th Apr 2010, 14:40
Just found this video on the MAG Youtube site - looks like Escape T1 is happening and looks nice to me

http://www.youtube.com/user/ManAirportGroup#p/a/u/0/QvKIU-N7VOA

johnnychips
26th Apr 2010, 20:45
Just a note that wherever you live in travelling time to MAN, LGW or wherever is still going to be annoying if you've left your car at LHR.

MAN OPS
27th Apr 2010, 22:23
Have charter flights from MAN this summer 34 times throughout the summer 2010 season to Turkish destinations.

rapidman47
28th Apr 2010, 06:51
Have charter flights from MAN this summer 34 times per week to Turkish destinations.Liverpool is also showing on their web site E-mailed them and yes they opening from LJLA as well:ok:

StoneyBridge Radar
28th Apr 2010, 08:24
Liverpool is also showing on their web site E-mailed them and yes they opening from LJLA as well

Last time I looked, there was a Liverpool thread on PPRUNE. :rolleyes:

Betablockeruk
28th Apr 2010, 08:59
34 times per week to Turkish destinations

Onur, Turkish, KTHY, Monarch, Pegasus, TCX, TOM, Turkuaz, Easyjet, Jet2, Freebird and now Corendon!

Is the Turkish market inexhaustible? (great news though :))

Banuthev
28th Apr 2010, 09:07
Recently I heard that G-WWBM has now been returned at Manchester Airport? Is that true? As you all know G-WWBM (A332) was used by BMI and it was stored in Dresden for few months.

doorplane
28th Apr 2010, 09:44
Seems that the new Escape Lounge at MAG forms part of a new store for travel extras - including private jet hire direct from the website.
Do people think this will work?

Manchester Airport offers private jet hire - Crain's Manchester Business (http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness.co.uk/article/20100428/FREE/100429891/-1/breaking)

learjet50
28th Apr 2010, 09:57
Re GWWBM

I understand its in for re spray to what I know not

Banuthev
28th Apr 2010, 10:10
Posted by: Banuthev - Recently I heard that G-WWBM has now been returned at Manchester Airport? Is that true? As you all know G-WWBM (A332) was used by BMI and it was stored in Dresden for few months.

Posted by: LearJet50 - Re GWWBM

I understand its in for re spray to what I know not

I heard SriLankan has an interest in leasing the BMI's A330. Not 100% sure.

A330ETOPS
28th Apr 2010, 10:26
wasn't there speculation that Mon were going to buy some?

MAN777
28th Apr 2010, 10:45
Why all the Turkish flights ?

Simple the Euro exchange rate ! Tourists are voting with their feet and apart from that Turkey is a great holiday destination. Cheap food, drink, good night life and really nice sea, wish I was there :)

My folks have a house on the Costa Blanca (doesnt everyone ?) they have noticed a massive decline in visitors over the last 18 months, they say some hotels are getting boarded up and businesses are failing.

MAN OPS
28th Apr 2010, 15:11
GWWBM is to return to it's leasers in a all white colour scheme so I'm lead to believe.

Jenson Button
4th May 2010, 09:41
Does anyone know why the late BD and BA flighs have been curtailed down to LHR. Is it a change to the summer schedule or adhoc use of a slot filler. The BD595 I think used to leave about 21.10 local and there was a slightly earlier BA flight by about 30-45 mins.

Cheers

JB

L4key
4th May 2010, 13:32
Quick question, I saw a C17 climbing out of Manchester (could have been Woodford) when I was out yesterday - anyone know why?

Nice to see something different in the sky, worth interrupting my golf game for anyway!

Hamburg 2K8
4th May 2010, 19:48
Went to MAN last Friday and got the latest MAN flights book from the aviation shop in T1 arrivals and noticed that both LH Dusseldorf and Hamburg flights are now operated by CR900's? Is this correct? Last time I saw them (Dec 09) when I went to HAM it was a crappy CRJ200 and the DUS was CRJ700. HAM used to have the 700 for the evening flights a few years ago but then resorted to the 200 for all flights. Aren't LH getting rid of their 200's? There cramped and crap not to mention noisey!

MAN777
4th May 2010, 20:07
See here

MAN Reports (http://tasmanchester.co.uk/MAN_Reports.html)

james solomon
4th May 2010, 20:17
Herd of an incident from my dad about a runway closure due to an incident can anyone confirm he was in the ww flight from Belfasdt international that had to hold and got the low fuel light come on

can anyone confirm what caused the incident and what runway closed

AircraftOperations
4th May 2010, 20:35
Arrivals were on 23L for a time today, but I don't know why.

The RAF C-17 was dropping off, inbound from the East.

Johnny F@rt Pants
4th May 2010, 21:08
Ah those pesky low fuel lights eh?:ugh:

What would we do without them?

james solomon
5th May 2010, 12:06
anyone have any info on the incident yesterday that closed one of the runways

MAN777
6th May 2010, 03:40
Speedbird 001 & 003 due through MAN this afternoon, presumably due Ash in Ireland ?

parky747
6th May 2010, 07:19
Hope someone gets some pics of the BA A318 at MAN today!

ManofMan
6th May 2010, 09:53
Shannon is open again, cant see why they would come through here ???

racasanman
6th May 2010, 14:44
A BA 737 had a hydraulic failure on landing and was towed onto std 57 on T3.No 1 engine still had reverse thrust deployed.

roy2711
6th May 2010, 17:27
BA001/003 didn't come through MAN in the end:ugh:

JackRalston
7th May 2010, 16:08
Just seen a youtube video that shows AIR1 and UAE18 having a disagreement on 5th May I believe. Seems to me as if UAE18 is simply selfish and not letting the local airfield lot do their job!!!! Wanted to know why AIR1 wouldn't let them go even though a runway inspection was taking place!

YouTube - MAN/EGCC Manchester Tower Argument with Emirates Pilot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ja6Zbfm6o)

MUFC_fan
7th May 2010, 16:25
It's another case of how little difference the size of a business or organisation is, there is always one man who has overriding powers. Very well dealt with by ATC. I'm sure if any of the US airlines were still on the ground (doubt it at 13.30), they would be distraught to hear a fellow American acting so unprofessionally.

It reminds me of something referee Graham Poll once said: "You can buy the biggest football clubs in the world, you can buy the best players, but only one man has control of that team's destiny."

Or something like that!:}

EXS258
7th May 2010, 16:25
I have to say that really did make my day! great video thanks for sharing it with us!!

MUFC_fan
12th May 2010, 17:30
BBC News - Heathrow runway plans scrapped by new government (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8678282.stm)

Could this be of benefit to MAN? The only other major commercial airport in the UK with two full active runways?

pwalhx
12th May 2010, 17:45
Probably not hasn't made much difference so far, other than Manchester will probably loose some LHR shuttles as the slots are more valuable for long haul routes.

spannersatcx
12th May 2010, 17:54
Apr 2011 VS 75 will operate with an A330 daily, + 2x Vegas 1x BGI +4 more to MCO all 744's.

MUFC_fan
12th May 2010, 18:01
Surely a reduction in MCO seats?

Cloud1
12th May 2010, 21:32
I have no links to Manchester Airport at all, but having listened to the video I think that the ATC staff member was completely out of order. It sounds like the chap seriously needs a talking to so I sincerely hope the EK Captain reported this to his Superiors on arrival in DBX.

MUFC_fan
12th May 2010, 21:52
I sincerely hope the EK Captain reported this to his Superiors on arrival in DBX.

That'll fall on deaf ears - DBX doesn't exist...

In defence of the clearly already agitated ATC, he instructed EK to "standby." Now to me and you, and probably everybody else in this world, that means "wait a minute."

"Just a number!" isn't exactly the best way to reply is it...

Wellington Bomber
13th May 2010, 07:47
I have heard this and even though I am a pilot and get p*** off when you are in a rush, they then start to do a runway inspection, whilst you are holding at the end of the runway.

The only thing to do is take a deep breath and say this is not my day and accept it, end off.

Well done to the ATC guy, tell him whos boss, and if he is not happy and still goes on, instruct him to taxi round to the back of the queue, he will soon learn

busz
13th May 2010, 10:25
The ATC guy explained at the very start of the conversation that there was to be a short delay due to runway inspection, and even added a sorry. The EK pilot was not very professional in how he dealt with this.

The active frequency is also NOT the place to have a discussion about the matter.

Cloud1
13th May 2010, 21:53
...then again the ATC controller could have just said 5 minutes or 10 minutes surly? If it was really really too difficult to do so then fair enough but the Captain probably wanted a rough idea to tell the pax waiting onboard. In my opinion there was no need to then repeat for a second time that EK18 should take it up with the airport authorities. Just as it was going silent it was almost as if the ATC chap wanted to stir it up again.

PS I am sure people knew I meant DXB, if not I did mean Dubai ladies and gents :ok:

geoffco
13th May 2010, 22:27
Do like the way the Captain decides he's had enough of this and hands over RT responsibility to the American First Officer. (Or, a diplomatic American Captain decides to take over before his First Officer starts a punch up with ATC):)

david1994
14th May 2010, 11:15
Enough it was one as bad as the other, the EK captain didnt need to be so rude and also ATC didnt need to keep repeating to keep up the argument, it was more ATC's fault than the pilots on the EK flight.

opnot
14th May 2010, 18:20
david1994
your first line says it was one as bad as the other.
your last line says it was more ATC fault than the pilot on the EK flight

Which fence are you sitting on

pwalhx
14th May 2010, 19:01
Does it matter now, been and gone, can we get back to news about the airport?

chiglet
15th May 2010, 22:27
I am now a "retired" ATSA, and know the ATCO quite well. He is telling the Emirates Captain just what is happening. ie MAPLC start a Runway inspection when they want to, irrespective of Aircraft Movements.
10 inbounds, put them in the hold, we have to do a R/w inspection NOW [can't wait 15-20 mins] same with Departures....:ugh:
After all it is MA's train set........

jubilee
16th May 2010, 09:44
Do the CAA have a rule in force, that a runway inspection has to be carried out at certain intervals, or is this done just on on an ad hoc basis by the airport authorities.
Jubilee

rapidman47
16th May 2010, 10:17
Manchester to close from 13.00 local due ash

Helen49
16th May 2010, 13:32
It certainly is MA's 'Train Set'. MA is the Airport Licence Holder and as such is accountable for safety [ANO article 211/212]. Runway inspections are a fundamental part of managing the airport safely.

The MA Aerodrome Manual [available on line] and itself a legally required document, determines the requirement for runway inspection frequency, together with the procedure for coordinating such inspections with ATC.

This procedure is designed to cause minimum inconvenience to aircraft operators whilst at the same time providing adequate inspection routines.

So many times in aviation history serious incidents and worse have occured as a consequence of inadequate inspections.

Helen

Skipness One Echo
16th May 2010, 15:07
Can't they liase with ATC to balance movements against demand, so the the runway is still checked every X hours without bringing the entire operation to a juddering halt?

MUFC_fan
16th May 2010, 15:11
Safety should never be 'liaised' with. It should always been of paramount importance!