PDA

View Full Version : FlyBe - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Captain Planet
17th Jan 2012, 07:45
Article this morning from Birmingham Post this morning seems to be confirming new route.

Flybe launches new route from Birmingham to Waterford - Latest Business News - Business News - Business - Birmingham Post (http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/birmingham-business-news/businesslatest/2012/01/17/flybe-launches-new-route-from-birmingham-to-waterford-65233-30135905/)

CP.

sawtooth
17th Jan 2012, 08:29
What base is the LBA-NOC aircraft operating from, schedule suggests w routing?

airhumberside
17th Jan 2012, 16:18
I'd guess BE aren't considering just WAT-BHX demand, but also connections to GLA/EDI/CDG etc. They should generate some extra passengers

fredtheanorak
17th Jan 2012, 16:51
I dont get it. Last week the shares collapsed as Jim French told the city BE sales were s*** :{so capacity and costs were being cut to tighten it all up. Yesterday Andy strong announces 7 new marginal routes................. :ooh:

Come back Mr rutter all is forgiven (almost.):O

mart901
17th Jan 2012, 19:15
I don't suppose fighting price wars with LCC's is going to help margins. Operating niche routes especially unserved ones could be just what they need - free from competition

Albert Hall
17th Jan 2012, 21:07
It is official: the lunatics are now running Jack Walker House. Not only is Birmingham-Waterford being started daily, but this leisure route is being run at a very good late afternoon schedule although Birmingham-Hamburg, a route with some business travel potential, remains on a poor mid-morning slot so will never realise its maximum revenue. Madness and mindless.

EI-BUD
17th Jan 2012, 21:25
Reading the comments re Flybe for Waterford Birmingham, based on the size of the aircraft and the frequency it would seem that the route will have more seats than Waterford's traditionally most successful route to Luton.

Based on the state of current affairs at Flybe one could infer that they are being incentivised in some way by Waterford in an attempt to put the airport firmly on the map. Waterford is also going to receive government for the time being according to government comments.

Lets hope that the route makes the break and BE see opportunities at Waterford.

EI-BUD

JSCL
17th Jan 2012, 21:38
But remember, BHX is a good airport for ongoing connections, which Luton is less so. Luton is point to point, not for connections.

Cyrano
17th Jan 2012, 21:46
Reading the comments re Flybe for Waterford Birmingham, based on the size of the aircraft and the frequency it would seem that the route will have more seats than Waterford's traditionally most successful route to Luton.
EI-BUD
Wasn't Waterford-Luton a twice-daily ATR72 until Aer Arann's new shareholders (Stobart) decided that everyone would really rather go to Southend?

mart901
17th Jan 2012, 21:52
LTN was at least twice daily, maybe even thrice at one point on certain days. RE did run BHX-WAT six days per week at one point on a 72, and progressively risen fares and cut capacity. BE also much better known in the midlands and as has been said plenty of connections. It can always be peared down for winter.

OltonPete
17th Jan 2012, 22:11
I just hope there are no other surprises due to the Waterford service, as the
schedule as a whole no longer fits nine based aircraft (not counting spares).

The Waterford inbound to BHX connects outbound with ABZ, GLA, EDI, BHD, IOM, DND, DUS, CDG most week days. The Waterford outbound from BHX connects with very little within 90 minutes (HAM/CDG/BHD/INV). Extend it to 120/150 minutes then the likes of EDI, GLA, ABZ come in range.

It seems a bit lopsided for connections.

Albert Hall

I see your point and pax figures are heading south but that is another route that has gone downhill with the introduction of a lot of capacity at Manchester - co-incidence?

Pete

PPRuNeUser0176
17th Jan 2012, 22:16
WAT-LTN was actualy 17 weekly during the summer of 2010. 14 direct from WAT (72) and the other 3 split with GWY (72).

On another note WAT managment made a comment that they are looking at a number of other routes with BE.

mart901
17th Jan 2012, 22:17
I'm presuming it will be operated by flybe right? Nothing been said about Loganair running it??

jetstreamtechrecords
20th Jan 2012, 11:26
Im told BE are moving at least one and probly two Q400s to ABZ for the summer to take on BMI regional. Seems the first one is the BHX aircraft from IOM:confused: and BHX IOM will go back to a BHX based Q4.:bored:

Hotel Tango
20th Jan 2012, 12:30
I'm amazed that FlyBE get any business. It can only be on the routes where they have a monopoly. Each time I try and book with them I find them a lot more expensive than the competition (LH on my last two occasions).

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
20th Jan 2012, 13:42
Bloomberg reporting that BMI regional sale to a UK based company agreed subject to certain "pre conditions". Flybe perhaps? Seat compensation as per the BACON deal re unsold seats on 145s? Would certainly enable BE to push up fares a bit by erradicating competion on certain routes.

Hotel Tango. Ive noticed for some time that LH are indeed cheaper to DUS than BE ex MAN. Bags drinks and a snack all included with LH. I suppose humans are creatures of habit, some being hard to break.

BluffOldSeaDog
20th Jan 2012, 20:28
Bugs - interesting location you have there, it is very comfortable :)

Cloud1
20th Jan 2012, 20:36
I'm amazed that FlyBE get any business
Stupid comment - 500 routes and you find one particularly expensive

Ive noticed for some time that LH are indeed cheaper to DUS than BE ex MAN. Bags drinks and a snack all included with LH

Book with LH then - not surprised that they have to lower their fares to try and claw back some business. They offer a better service but never use to be cheap, only when competition started up and people started to move over to BE. Now its vice versa BE will start reducing their fares and we are back to square 1 again

Bloomberg reporting that BMI regional sale to a UK based company agreed subject to certain "pre conditions".

This is interesting, certainly not heard anything on the grapevine yet. I dont know of many other UK carriers that may be in a position to acquire another airline. But, will BE want a fleet of E145s again it took a while to fully get rid of BAcons jets. Do BE have any Q400 options which they could use to replace the fleet if the sale did go ahead? (speculation of course)

G-FLYB
20th Jan 2012, 20:46
But, will BE want a fleet of E145s again

I doubt it. Some of the last lot of 145s are still sitting parked up at EXT. Flybe managed to get rid of them and the new owners have not found any work for them yet.

Andrew Strong said Flybe had no interest in BMIR,............unless the price was right ;)

Tonyq
20th Jan 2012, 21:02
The Bloomberg report actually says "a deal has also been concluded with a U.K.buyer ............subject to certain preconditions."

Nothing to suggest it is necessarily an existing airline, such as BE, just a buyer.......

Cloud1
20th Jan 2012, 21:54
Ahh, well spotted TonyQ - there were talks a while ago about a group of Scottish investors wishing to set up a 'Scottish airline' - maybe they have created a consortium and there lies the UK bidder. Who knows, will be interesting to see who it is once announced though

jabird
20th Jan 2012, 22:39
Re: HS2 - it will be a long time before that has a serious impact on Flybe. Phase 1 will have diddly squat impact, Phase 2 might have some impact on London to Liverpool and Leeds routes. Oh, hang on a minute, they have already gone! By then, there might be a saving of 45 mins on London to Scotland - much less so on the BHX & MAN to Scotland routes BE are involved in.

I think the challenge to BE on domestic sectors comes much more from high fuel prices and the double dose of APD.

As for Scandinavia, I think it is a legitimate question, asked before, about whether or not routes such as ARN & OSL in particular would be viable, especially from BHX, especially in a slightly smaller (compared to the 195) E175.

However, just because an airline has operations in two places, that does not automatically mean they should be linked - that logic would also suggest BHX should have a MAD route from FR - another that BE may have also looked at, which 'should' be served from BHX.

I have followed BE's progress for a while, and previously met Mr Rutter, who suggested chargine for toilets about 2 years before MOL did!

However, I've been more out of the loop of late, I take it he has gone elsewhere?

redED
21st Jan 2012, 02:22
MR's running the Nordic operation.

Whispering Giant
21st Jan 2012, 09:26
Mr Rutter is now MD of Flybe Nordic.

brgds
W.G

Cloud1
21st Jan 2012, 17:44
Just to follow on from Tonyq's post, it also says that the UK Investor group interested has previous links with the business. This could mean anything but just to kick off the rumour mill again, didnt Flybe sell some of the Embraers to BMI Regional? This in my eyes would be a business link.

Then again I guess this Scottish group could have previous employees of BMI Regional at various levels.

G-FLYB
21st Jan 2012, 19:05
I have heard that the 'link' is that it is being sold to the people who owned it before it was sold to BMI i.e Ex Business Air owners in Aberdeen.

Deano777
21st Jan 2012, 19:38
Whispering Giant.

MR is actually MD of Flybe Europe, so if there's any more acquisitions in the future from Europe they will fall under his jurisdiction.

Cyrano
21st Jan 2012, 20:32
Just to follow on from Tonyq's post, it also says that the UK Investor group interested has previous links with the business. This could mean anything but just to kick off the rumour mill again, didnt Flybe sell some of the Embraers to BMI Regional? This in my eyes would be a business link.

Then again I guess this Scottish group could have previous employees of BMI Regional at various levels.

You appear fairly desperate to convince yourself that flyBE could be the mystery buyer for bmi regional. Save yourself the trouble and browse the last couple of months of the "bmi regional" thread. Google the news reports over the last couple of months. You will see that the UK investor group concerned, reported publicly on various occasions, is codenamed "Granite" and as G-FLYB has noted, incorporates Messrs Woodley and Ross, founders of Business Air, the company which was originally sold to bmi and rebranded as bmi regional. Would you be prepared to concede that this is a credible "previous link to the business"?:ugh: Thus nothing to do with flyBE, whom I'm pretty sure would not like another set of Embraers to have to dispose of, and anyway, why would they want to buy bmi regional? They don't need the bmi regional brand or cost structure(!) to enter the routes themselves anyway. What would bmi regional bring for flyBE?

If you are going to start a rumour, be a good chap and at least try to start a credible one rather than one that's been repeatedly taken out and shot already.:rolleyes:

Cloud1
21st Jan 2012, 20:49
Oh crawl back to your little box Cyrano - if you care to read the threads in as much detail as your posts then you will see the seed of rumour had already been planted. My post was just some lighthearted chit chat.

I dont want another load of E145s to contend with, they were a flippin nightmare back in the BAcon days so rest assured I aint trying to convince anyone. Any additions to the current fleet would be great for the shareholders I am sure, but not neccesarily for all those doing the day to day work.

Besides this is a rumour forum and often contain a load of unsupported, unresearched crud. Hopefully your little rant has calmed you down now :)

Cyrano
21st Jan 2012, 21:00
Cloud1:

Sorry if I didn't express myself well - I wasn't really setting out to have a go at you. My point is just that the flyBE/bmi regional rumour has been done to death over on the other thread and doesn't seem to have much credibility left.

I think we agree on the desirability of more Embraers coming into the fleet (!) although I would suggest that even the flyBE shareholders would not welcome a bmi regional acquisition.

Hopefully, and particularly for the sake of those directly affected, the uncertainty will come to an end soon, and hopefully in a positive way.

Rivet Joint
21st Jan 2012, 23:22
Put your handbags away girls :zzz:. The whole bmi regional thread has been done to death. If LH can't make money from it then no one will. They are esentially trying to flog a dead donkey, likewise with baby. Who ever is going to take a punt is going to need to replace the fleet, LH clearly didn't have deep enough pockets to do so but good luck to 'Granite'. Bit of competition is always good but doubt flybe see them as enough of a threat to pay to eliminate them.

ib26uk
31st Jan 2012, 21:41
Does anybody know when the schedules are released for November 2012 flights onwards particulary from Birmingham - Thank you

j41cac
31st Jan 2012, 23:24
This airline needs new fresh managerial blood to move forward. Jim needs to move aside and let new blood in or maybe he should have cashed in before the shares slumped :hmm:

lfc84
4th Feb 2012, 12:17
IOM-SOU reported to be ceasing at end of Feb

GCILover
4th Feb 2012, 13:10
That would be interesting as this aircraft does IOM-SOU-BRU-SOU-IOM.

Unless they are dropping the SOU-BRU as well, they will have to get another aircraft to do this part of the leg

choppercopper 99
6th Feb 2012, 18:51
I don't wish to spoil a good rumor chaps, but shouldn't you be more discreet what is being said in the public domain!:ok:

Boing7117
6th Feb 2012, 18:59
Peer pressure dictates a removal of my previous post.

Ok, so the rumour is that we're going to do a wet lease somewhere. Probably in Europe.

Probably using the Q400.

It's for an unknown duration.

Routes include operating from an airport in Europe, and flying to other airports in Europe.

...and it's still a rumour.

And WingoWango and Chopper, it might be worth pointing out that indeed there was an entire thread relating to company sensitive information, it wasn't that long ago hundreds of posts appearing regarding Industrial Action, and the rumours regarding delays in E-Jet deliveries.

The whole point of pprune is to discuss rumours, substantiated or not. And if I thought I had so much influence over what goes on a head office within Flybe I certainly wouldn't read this forum, let alone make a post.

So in the spirit of a rumour network, can't we just discuss a rumour? Unless of course, WingoWango you know something different?

choppercopper 99
6th Feb 2012, 19:24
Boeing7117

I'm all up for hearing & talking about a good rumour. However this subject is very commercially sensitive and openly talking about it in the public domain could possibly jeopardise the contract! As Wingo said, we are all aware of what happened with the Olympic contract. Lets keep this kind of chat to flyingbe! It could be our bridge over the next recession.:ok:

Boing7117
6th Feb 2012, 20:57
I sincerely doubt that little 'ol me will be jeopardising anything.

And let's not compare anything to any previous deals with other airlines, particularly those in countries that can't meet financial obligations and are helping to bring down the EU.

But point taken.

Let's move on to more sensible rumours...

So what's this I hear about Flybe resurrecting Concorde on it's flagship IOM-LPL routes?

ara01jbb
9th Feb 2012, 22:09
If this isn't a rumour, it should be.

WestJet workers vote for regional airline - thestar.com (http://www.thestar.com/article/1127934--westjet-workers-vote-to-launch-regional-airline)

If Westjet want to launch in 2013, I'm sure BE could provide a few a/c and crews. :ok:

OltonPete
9th Feb 2012, 22:37
Westjet Most forums seem to say it is a done deal with new Q400NG's but I suppose it might be a case of putting two and two together.

175's

It is now a couple of months into service is there any progress report as to dispatch reliability (seems excellent at BHX like the 195 was when it started) and how is the the fuel burn performance standing up what was promised/stated and compared to the Q400?

Pete

Cloud1
9th Feb 2012, 23:12
Following from OP post, also has the pax numbers on the DUS increased now the jet is on the route instead of the Q400?

Boing7117
10th Feb 2012, 12:17
Interim statement released by Flybe this morning. Makes for an interesting read (if you like that sort of thing):

Interim Management Statement - London Stock Exchange (http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail.html?announcementId=11111248)

Of particular interest is the amount of money generated by the Flybe-Finnair Joint Venture. Revenues of £25m in the first quarter of its existence? Let's hope there's more of that for the next few years. I'm not sure what the profit is going to be out of that, but I'd expect Flybe to do alright out of it (they usually do!).

Couple this along with any 'opportunities' along the way and perhaps there's a bit of a bright(ish) future emerging here?

SN146
10th Feb 2012, 14:31
So, what's the latest on the Brussels Airlines wetlease of 5 Q400s: is it signed already?

Saw a flybe team at BRU today and SN as good as announced extra wetlease Q400 operations (they've mentioned 5 planes) to replace/enhance both the bmi regional E-jets as well as the Austrian Arrows Q400 operations that currently operate on behalf of them and in order to deploy them on their thinnest regional routes, like for instance BRU-TRN.

Any news on whether this wetlease agreement will also include a codeshare on BRU-MAN, given both airlines are now competing on that route?

OltonPete
10th Feb 2012, 15:15
Similar to what Boing7117 posted

Trading remains challenging at Flybe (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/trading-remains-challenging-at-flybe-368058/)

A little bit more in respect of the 175's - just six more in the 2012/3 per
the article.

Pete

Boing7117
10th Feb 2012, 16:00
ohhhhhh noooooo!

SN146... Don't let WingoWango see your post.

This might affect the share price.... we might lose the contract.... is there a contract? Is it a rumour...?

SN146
10th Feb 2012, 16:54
Some people are suffering from paranoia, indeed.

I'd like to know about the practical issues that come with the swap from bmi regional / Austrian Arrows to flybe:

1- will the planes be painted in SN colours

2- will they operate (also) with SN cabin crew

3- will there also be a codeshare agreement between BE and SN on BRU-MAN?

Given it is a fairly important contract and for a longer period, it would definitely be possible: when Sabena wetleased ATRs from schreiner, they got the livery and cabin crew from SN too.

BAladdy
10th Feb 2012, 20:35
1- will the planes be painted in SN colours

2- will they operate (also) with SN cabin crew

BE have operated some of there DH4 under a long term lease agreement before. They leased aircraft's and crew to Olympic Air when it was relaunched back in 2009 until late 2010. All 4 DH4's operated under the UK regs but wore the OA livery. I am not sure if the crews wore the uniform to.

BD operate between 2 & 3 flights daily to BRS and NCL. If SN did decide to replace BD's ER4's with DH4's it would increase the number of available seats on each flight by 29. Is there really the demand for these routes to support such a capacity increase

Rivet Joint
10th Feb 2012, 22:11
To answer your question the Dh4's offer the extra 29 seats at the same fuel burn if not better then the 145's. So effectively they are free seats to fill or not to fill.

Coffin Corner
11th Feb 2012, 15:11
Wingo

He/she actually needs to grow up, what an obnoxious reply from him/her . He's probably leaving the company so he doesn't care what information he posts about the company, or what effect it has. But for those who want to stay it is potentially damaging and he/she should know better. Good riddance is what I say.

euromanxdude
11th Feb 2012, 19:00
MAN & BHX?

adfly
11th Feb 2012, 19:49
It would be nice to have 1 or 2 down at SOU especially when you consider some of the longer routes the Q400's currently fly:

Avignon
Perpignan
Salzburg
Verona

All of which are 2hrs+ segments on the Q400.

And of course the E175's opens up the possibility of new routes:

Barcelona
Copenhagen
Stuttgart
Hamburg
Munich
Milan
Madrid
Warsaw
Toulouse
Mariselle

I should really say that all of the above are merely suggestions, with some being more likely/viable than others! :ok:

Cloud1
11th Feb 2012, 23:43
Obnoxious is a little extreme - I guess he or she was just trying to prove a point rightly or wrongly. However assuming we are all adults on this forum maybe those involved can move on now.

Wingo - will it be one delivery every 2 months?

mathers_wales_uk
12th Feb 2012, 09:04
Glasgow are due at least 1 Embraer from what i hear. I know that the Cardiff - Glasgow was supposed to be on a 195 then 170 on Sunday's in Summer 2011 before the delay in delivery.

BOHEuropean
12th Feb 2012, 09:27
Whilst it would be good to have the E175 based at Southampton, there wouldn't be enough room for one in the summer unless it replaced an Embraer E195, which is unlikely given the amount of summer routes it will be doing in 2012.

I think the aircraft stands need to be re-arranged first, maybe we'll see them based in 2013?

OltonPete
12th Feb 2012, 09:31
mathers_wales_uk

Correct a 195 was or should I say is due at GLA per GDS although it has been delayed three months for some reason.

It was clear that the Inverness 195 was to move to Glasgow once the 175 was delivered to operate GLA-BHX-GLA-EXT-GLA-BHX-GLA-BHX-GLA Monday to Friday.

The 175 arrived but the 195 seemed originally to go to BHX as another spare although that was brief. Per GDS the 195 is due to start GLA-BHX next Monday but I couldn't find a CWL Sunday flight with the 195.

I did a sample check of the flights for one week in June and it seemed 60 aircraft required with 67 in the fleet plus any new 175's and less any that might be spirited away to Brussels.

I thought the talk was of a small loss (8.5m) and route cuts rather than expansion.

Flybe fuels fears for full-year losses as it posts flat revenues | This is Money (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2099185/Flybe-fuels-fears-year-losses-posts-flat-revenues.html)

Pete

Andrew R
14th Feb 2012, 12:13
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but...

I booked a return Flybe flight on Opodo going out next Thursday (23rd) and coming back the following Monday (27th).

I want to change my outbound flight to this Friday (17th) but keep my inbound flight on Monday 27th. From a quick Google search Opodo and FlyBe charge a fee for changing the outbound flight plus the full fare so obviously it would be cheaper just to book a single and not cancel/change the orignal outbound.

So my question is, what happens if I don't turnup for the outbound flight next Thursday BUT turnup for the inbound on Monday (27th), will I be accepted onto the flight or will the FlyBe assume because I was a 'no-show' on the Thursday outbound that I never made it to the destination and thus cancel my inbound flight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

redED
14th Feb 2012, 12:29
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but...

I booked a return Flybe flight on Opodo going out next Thursday (23rd) and coming back the following Monday (27th).

I want to change my outbound flight to this Friday (17th) but keep my inbound flight on Monday 27th. From a quick Google search Opodo and FlyBe charge a fee for changing the outbound flight plus the full fare so obviously it would be cheaper just to book a single and not cancel/change the orignal outbound.

So my question is, what happens if I don't turnup for the outbound flight next Thursday BUT turnup for the inbound on Monday (27th), will I be accepted onto the flight or will the FlyBe assume because I was a 'no-show' on the Thursday outbound that I never made it to the destination and thus cancel my inbound flight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes you can get knocked off the system however if you speak to someone at the ticket desk (not check in) on your way out it shouldn't be an issue.

Andrew R
14th Feb 2012, 12:47
I'd be a bit worried leaving it so late.

I was reading that if you don't turn up for the outbound flight airlines generally cancel the entire ticket (outbound / inbound flights), not sure if that's specific to FlyBe.

I'd rather not arrive at SOU on Monday morning to checkin and be told they've cancelled my inbound and it'll be 300 pounds for a flight back.

JSCL
14th Feb 2012, 13:01
Phone them. I got caught out with this last October. Had flights booked to BRU from MAN, needed to get their earlier so booked another flight. Return one no longer valid. But rang them up mid-Jan to do the same, very helpful.

Andrew R
14th Feb 2012, 13:04
Thanks everyone.

I booked the flights via Opodo, not sure if I contact them or Flybe? Who is most likely to be most helpful?

Cazza_fly
14th Feb 2012, 13:10
I booked the flights via Opodo, not sure if I contact them or Flybe? Who is most likely to be most helpful?

Call Flybe up directly. These are the ones who Opodo will have to contact anyway so it's better to do it directly with them. Obviously just use the Flybe e-tickting number/reference.

ib26uk
14th Feb 2012, 13:14
I`ve just had a schedule change on a flight in October, I rang up flybe and was told that because I`d rang within 48hrs of recieving the email about flybe making a schedule change - its freeeeeeeee - after 48hours they charge

redED
14th Feb 2012, 13:43
Whilst it would be good to have the E175 based at Southampton, there wouldn't be enough room for one in the summer unless it replaced an Embraer E195, which is unlikely given the amount of summer routes it will be doing in 2012.

I think the aircraft stands need to be re-arranged first, maybe we'll see them based in 2013?

There would be enough room, the 175 can use the Dash stands, it's dimensionally smaller:

Dash: 32.81m x 28.4m
175: 31.68m x 26.00m

Lord Spandex Masher
14th Feb 2012, 13:48
RedED, that's what I used to think but the baby Embraer is about 4 feet too tall for the cheap seats. It would need to park on stands 2-5.

adfly
14th Feb 2012, 14:47
Surely it can park on stands 1-5, as the Dash is able to squeeze onto 1 and the E175 is shorter in length and wingspan, and I don't think there is any sort of tail height restriction on 1. This would theoretically allow a maximum of 2 E175's to be based in addition to the current 3 E195's.

PrestonPilot
14th Feb 2012, 15:42
hi everyone, you all seem to know a lot about flybe, was wondering if you could help me. Potential interview with them through PTC, was wondering is their shortest route Jersey - Guernsey? and their longest route, birmingham - dubrovnik?

Any other interesting things you think I should know which might be relatively unknown about routes or the airline etc...
Thanks

Lord Spandex Masher
14th Feb 2012, 16:22
Adfly, you're right, I always forget about stand 1 for some reason!

Preston, if you include Loganair Westray to Papa Westray is the shortest.

ara01jbb
14th Feb 2012, 17:22
Westray / Papa Westray is not part of the FlyBe franchise. Although I'd be surprised if that would lose you the job :D

Exasperated
14th Feb 2012, 22:10
This is one way of making sure no one can take advantage of cheap flights

Ex

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5150/flybeu.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/flybeu.jpg/)

johnnychips
14th Feb 2012, 22:58
Well spotted! Not exactly cheap either - is that typical of flights to Scottish extremities?

edi_local
14th Feb 2012, 23:31
That is fairly typical. They are not the busiest of flights outside of the peak summer/Christmas seasons and unless there is a major event happening on the mainland or the Islands. The flight costs are comparable to driving or getting the train to Wick/Aberdeen/Ullapool to catch the ferry and obviously have far more convenience, and that's just the EDI routes.

I think local residents still get a certain discount on flights to mainland Scotland and I believe children get x number of flights or ferry crossings for free per year, to help with the high cost of running them.

Exasperated
14th Feb 2012, 23:43
That is fairly typical. They are not the busiest of flights outside of the peak summer/Christmas seasons and unless there is a major event happening on the mainland or the Islands. The flight costs are comparable to driving or getting the train to Wick/Aberdeen/Ullapool to catch the ferry and obviously have far more convenience, and that's just the EDI routes.

I think local residents still get a certain discount on flights to mainland Scotland and I believe children get x number of flights or ferry crossings for free per year, to help with the high cost of running them.

The air discount scheme operates for residents of the islands to subsidise the cost of getting to the mainland and has been approved until 2015 by the EU.

It offers 40% discount on core fares (excluding PSO routes which are subsidised anyway)

Apparently it is cheaper to book BA even when using Loganair (at least it used to be anyway).

Ex

ara01jbb
15th Feb 2012, 09:17
Loganair routes are pricey, but unlike many of "mainline" BE's routes, the bulk of the ticket price is the ticket, not the tax. If (like me) you happen to fly BE on business a fair bit, you may have wondered what to do with your next-to-useless Rewards4All points. Someone pointed out to me last year that because you still have to pay "taxes and charges" when redeeming them, they are much better value on Loganair routes, where the taxes are a much smaller proportion of the fare. Thinking of a trip from Glasgow to Barra, Orkney or Shetland this summer; a return would cost 16 points plus about £40. :ok:

PrestonPilot
15th Feb 2012, 14:32
thanks for replies about the loganair route, so is the longest route birmingham - dubrovnik?

and the shortest route for flybe jersey - guernsey?

Otto Throttle
15th Feb 2012, 14:36
Preston Pilot,

I wouldn't waste your time digging up irrelevant trivia for your potential interview preparation. There are far more important issues you will be asked about and I suggest you concentrate your efforts in thinking about those instead. Knowing the aswer to your question will not gain you any extra marks in the interview process.

OT

Serenity
19th Feb 2012, 10:30
Back on course.....heard from someone that would know, that the CEO has been taking a few trips down to the headquarters of Flybe recently for meetings??? Anyone know anything about this???

This found found from the Easyjet thread. Any thoughts, news???

davidjohnson6
19th Feb 2012, 10:55
Not a lot will happen unless Rosedale consent to it.

Having said that,with the share price down 79% over the last 12 months, giving the market capitalisation (i.e. overall value) of the company as £47m, about the list price of a new A319, it's quite possible a company like Easyjet would be having a look.

racedo
19th Feb 2012, 11:29
Serenity

Not going to happen as will get tied up in EU competition review irrespective of what UK would want.

Issue is not what Flybe is worth on the stock exchange, it may be only be theoretically worth £47m if buy all the stock in one go. BUT its the assets/ liabilities that the company actually has that will be its real value.

This was same with EI when FR were having a look.

It may be the Easyjet think this could be a quick win but given market position in UK I struggle to see the fit between the 2 companies maybe as a feeder but even then I'm not sure.

One only has to look at the way BA were able to buy up and absorb BCal / Danair etc etc with Govt connivance but has it really built up BA other than to have made it largest airline operating from UK for a while.

Being the biggest player in a country is a bit like being the biggest in a single city, sounds great but perhaps focus should be on rest of the market as well.

davidjohnson6
19th Feb 2012, 16:13
Wingo - you are correct that only about 28% of the shares are generally available for the public to buy and sell. However the number of shares that have been issued by the company secretary is fixed - about 75 million. Around 48% of these are held by Rosedale (i.e. Jack Walker trust) - so nothing will happen without their consent. 75 million times 62 pence comes to about 47 million pounds. Rosedale have a holding worth 23 million pounds and the shares that are publicly traded are worth about 13 million pounds.

Yes this is low but one should remember that the share price has fallen 79 % in the last 12 months. If a company has good profits then the share price and thus the market capitalisation will go back up again.

Easyjet for reference currently have a market capitalisation of 2.05 billion pounds - and yes a big slug of that is owned by Stelios and his family.

EuroWings
19th Feb 2012, 17:17
Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me with identifying which aircraft will operate a flight. I am flying with a very nervous passenger from Hanover to Manchester, who would like to avoid a turboprop (although I have absolutely nothing against the Q400!).

The choices are BE 7309 on Sat 7th July or BE 7309 on Sun 8th July. Flybe's website is saying Q400, Kayak/Amadeus and other timetable websites are saying E175 and FlightMapper is saying Q400 on the Saturday and E175 on the Sunday.

I am very confused, so I wondered if anyone actually knew? I realize the introduction of the E175 is probably adding to the confusion.

OltonPete
19th Feb 2012, 19:07
EuroWings

The flybe connections timetable clearly shows the 175 on both flights and amadeus also should be correct. I would say at present the intention is for
the flight to be operated by the 175.

If you have noted the Q400 from the booking engine, I would not necessary trust that.

However with so long between now and the departure date things could change but the connections timetable seems to be fairly accurate other than of course last minute aircraft substitutions.

Pete

OltonPete
27th Feb 2012, 21:27
Is the cat now out of the bag?

Anyone with access to GDS should see SN2049 BRU - BHX operated by flybe Q400 for this summer.

Tyrolean still shown on the earlier bHX flights and two SN RJ100's as well.

Not gone into this in too much detail but it seems to be work in progress rather than the final version.

Can anyone confirm?

Pete

BHX2FRA
28th Feb 2012, 14:22
Lufthansa booking engine showing Flybe as the operator for SN2049/SN2050 also operating SN2175/SN2176 BRU>MAN>BRU

OltonPete
2nd Mar 2012, 09:40
Reported on another site "DK" Q400 has entered the spray-shop at EMA.

Routine maintenance or will this be painted in SN colours if indeed any are
to be painted?

Still showing in GDS from the end of the month 06.35 out of BHX to BRU returning 21.50 with a Manchester flight in between as mentioned before.

Pete

redED
2nd Mar 2012, 10:25
Thought DK was one of the ones going back to the leaser.

Tonyq
2nd Mar 2012, 11:54
I noted a couple of weeks ago that G-JEDJ which left the fleet late last year to 'return to leasor' has now been transferred to WALKER AVIATION LEASING (UK) LTD on G-INFO. It would seem that it is not going back but is remaining in the FlyBe 'family'.

Could this be part of gathering sufficent airframes for some of the new initiatives currently being mooted?

OltonPete
2nd Mar 2012, 14:08
redED

Hand-back check then for DK and not the spray-shop?

"DK" definitely not owned so a possibility.

Pete

The96er
2nd Mar 2012, 14:26
According to the reservation system, from July, Flybe are to operate 3/4 daily departures from MAN - only the night stop to remain on SN metal.

f-mouse
2nd Mar 2012, 15:56
I'm booked on SN2050 as part of a Lufthansa return to VLC via a convoluted route of BHX-BRU-ZRH-VLC on Good Friday. After booking they elected not to operate the morning DUS-BHX-DUS which gives an excellent connection both ways to VLC. Returning is the far more acceptable VLC-DUS-BHX.

I've just received e-mail from Lufthansa confirming SN2050 to be operated by Flybe.

cornishsimon
3rd Mar 2012, 23:32
Hi all,

anyone know when BE normally release the Winter 2012 schedules ?

cs

BAladdy
4th Mar 2012, 15:22
Just been having a look at the SN shorthaul schedule for S12 and found that the following flights are showing as being operated by a Flybe DH4.

Brussels to Birmingham

SN2047 BRU 17:30 - 17:55 BHX 7
SN2049 BRU 21:25 - 21:50 BHX x6

SN2050 BHX 06:30 - 08:50 BRU x7
SN2048 BHX 18:25 - 20:45 BRU 7

Brussels to Hannover

SN2633 BRU 09:25 - 10:40 HAJ x67
SN2637 BRU 16:25 - 17:35 HAJ x67
SN2639 BRU 20:30 - 21:45 HAJ x6

SN2640 HAJ 06:45 - 08:00 BRU x7
SN2636 HAJ 11:10 - 12:25 BRU x67
SN2638 HAJ 18:05 - 19:20 BRU x67

Brussels to Hamburg

SN2625 BRU 12:20 - 13:50 HAM x6

SN2626 HAM 14:20 - 15:45 BRU x6

Brussels to Manchester

SN2173 BRU 09:45 - 10:10 MAN x67
SN2173 BRU 09:50 - 10:20 MAN 6
SN2175 BRU 13:05 - 13:35 MAN x67
SN2177 BRU 17:10 - 17:30 MAN x67

SN2174 MAN 10:40 - 13:00 BRU x67
SN2174 MAN 10:40 - 13:10 BRU 7
SN2174 MAN 10:50 - 13:20 BRU 6
SN2176 MAN 14:05 - 16:35 BRU x67
SN2178 MAN 17:50 - 20:20 BRU x67

Tyrolean will also be operating a DH4 for SN. This will be used on some BHX and MAN services. The SN timetable seems to be in the process of being updated. So additional BE operated flights may be to be added

idlejack
4th Mar 2012, 18:40
Last 3 years Winter schedules have been releaed in May.

OltonPete
4th Mar 2012, 18:42
BAladdy

Cheers for that, a recent GDS update then, as I targeted HAJ & HAM as possible flybe Q400 flights from Brussels and I only checked on Friday and they were both showing as SN RJ100/85's.

The schedule more or less works for two flybe Q400's one over-nighting in BHX and one in HAJ. The only pattern that doesn't fit is when the HAJ aircraft arrives in BRU at 08.00. If SN2173 was brought forward one hour it would then fit the schedule with aircraft operating HAJ-BRU-MAN-BRU-HAM-BRU-HAJ-BRU-HAJ.

I am not sure of the point of SN2173 as the first arrival of the day at Manchester, as it is the same time as the flybe flight. The BHX flight is about an hour earlier which caters better for the Belgium based business pax unless there is a slot restriction on BRU-MAN although I am also not sure how the SN banks (waves) work at Brussels.

It seems another smart piece of business done again by flybe, just wish they would have showed a bit more ambition at BHX re routes although perhaps caution might have been the best approach post 2008. Having said all that this makes ten aircraft overnighting at BHX this summer and this is not counting the DUS aircraft which is crewed from BHX.

Pete

lfc84
4th Mar 2012, 21:36
Last 3 years Winter schedules have been releaed in May.

Not true.

I booked flights in March 2011 for travel in Dec 2011

Wycombe
4th Mar 2012, 22:05
According to another forum, the proposed weekly (Sat) NWI-SOU route for this Summer (planned to be op. with the Suckling Do328) has already been knocked on the head.

BAladdy
4th Mar 2012, 23:19
Just found a few more flight now showing as operated by BE for SN

Lyon

SN3585 BRU 06:55 - 08:25 LYS 7

SN3586 LYS 08:55 - 10:25 BRU 7

Prague

SN2809 BRU 08:40 - 10:15 PRG 7
SN2809 BRU 09:30 - 11:05 PRG 6

SN2810 PRG 10:45 - 12:25 BRU 7
SN2810 PRG 11:35 - 13:15 BRU 6

Strasbourg (Begins 15 June)

SN3653 BRU 09:00 - 10:05 SXB 5
SN3661 BRU 17:15 - 18:20 SXB 5

SN3654 SXB 10:35 - 11:40 BRU x67
SN3662 SXB 18:50 - 19:55 BRU x67

airhumberside
5th Mar 2012, 17:36
I am not sure of the point of SN2173 as the first arrival of the day at Manchester, as it is the same time as the flybe flight.
It's always possible that the BE and SN relationship will be strictly a wet-lease deal without codesharing, in which case SN would be competing with BE on MAN-BRU

Sounds odd, but it does happen in the US where Republic Airlines has operated routes for Delta in competition with Republic owned Frontier Airlines

IOMspotter
8th Mar 2012, 12:57
Where are the two Brussels crews and aircraft coming from. We are losing one from Ronaldsway but id herd this was going to Aberdeen.:confused:

chaps2011
8th Mar 2012, 17:45
Manchester is to be come the HUB for Flybe domestic operations
Flybe | Corporate | Media | News archives (http://www.flybe.com/corporate/media/news/1203/08.htm)

Ian

MAN777
8th Mar 2012, 18:39
Not being a scheduling wizard and not having the time to study the timetables, can I cheat and ask what does this news about the hub actually mean for MAN.

Are there going to be extra flights or is it just a juggling of existing flights to create mini waves ?

AndyH52
8th Mar 2012, 19:49
It appears to get MAN one extra flight a day, to Exeter...the rest is just adjusting schedules to increase the number of connections available via MAN.

OltonPete
8th Mar 2012, 19:52
IOMspotter

Hasn't the IOM aircraft just come to BHX? The IOM-BHX-IOM now just goes BHX-IOM-BHX.

I also did a count of one weeks schedule in June and flybe had about 67 aircraft and 60 aircraft required. However I was unsure of the number of 175's arriving and Q400's going.

Also I can't remember if this included the MAN-NWI Q400 is now a DO328 but ABZ does get a night-stop aircraft for the MAN service this summer. So these changes just cancel each other out.

However the spare BHX 195 is used daily from 26/3 on GLA thus freeing up another Q400 although that aircraft operates most days already to be fair.

G-JEDK is all white at EMA is this a lease hand-back?

All in all it seems the two aircraft will be accommodated no problem unless there are more hand-backs or checks.

Pete

ib26uk
8th Mar 2012, 20:06
Anybody know when flights from Birmingham in November go on sale?

BOHEuropean
10th Mar 2012, 08:49
G-JEDK & G-JEDL are both lease returns this year, the former is available on lease by GOAL from 17th June 2012.

I believe the Dash 8 fleet is planned to stay around the 47 number for the foreseeable future now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more Dash 8s going to Brussels Airlines.

TCAS_Alert
10th Mar 2012, 19:23
Does anyone know for sure which two aircraft are going to Brussels Airlines? If they are being painted in full SN colours, presumably that will be happening any day from now. Is BE painting done at EMA?

I'm booked on one of these DHC8 flights BRU-BHX on 28 March, be interesting to be on one of the first flights under this arrangement.

Cloud1
10th Mar 2012, 20:28
I believe it is -DW and -EV (King Kev) but that may well change. I am not sure how the company decides which ones are going over there

TCAS_Alert
24th Mar 2012, 12:06
G-ECOH sitting on a remote stand in BHX last night/this morning at midnight in full Brussels Airlines colours.

Hope its more reliable than the DHC8 that went tech at BRU on the MAN flight last night after taxying out twice and returning, before then being cancelled.

ara01jbb
24th Mar 2012, 12:53
G-ECOH looking sharp (http://www.bhxspotter.com/blog/?tag=g-ecoh), although I've never been that fond of the high waistline. Not seen G-ECOI yet, I think she's the other Q400 getting the new suit.

redED
24th Mar 2012, 15:25
Not seen G-ECOI yet, I think she's the other Q400 getting the new suit.

Thought it was KKEV Yep ECOH and ECOI.

OltonPete
24th Mar 2012, 15:40
"OI" positioned in to BHX from Norwich on 22/3 per skyliner but I have not seen any photo's of this one.

Plenty of photo's of "OH" and this one left BHX 12.50 today for Brussels.

"OI" left BHX 16.44 BEE086P for Brussels this evening.

Pete

OltonPete
27th Mar 2012, 21:37
Are there more Q400 problems as the amount of E-Jet activity at BHX has gone through the roof in the last three days.

The spare 195 is now timetabled for BHX-GLA in the week making three operational plus visiting 195's from EDI, GLA and BHD but today has seen five based 195's, five visiting 195's and the one 175. Only one Q400 service cancelled today compared to two yesterday. The 195's were used on Q400 services to INV, HAJ, IOM & BHD.

At one point there was eight 195 arrivals in just over a couple of hours.

With the 175 I made it 30 E-Jet flights (60 movements) and I assume not
a permanent plan?

I realise two Q400's have gone to SN but I assume that was all taken into account.

Pete

TCAS_Alert
30th Mar 2012, 18:43
One went tech at BRU last week, engine problems apparently.

I flew BRU-BHX on Wednesday evening on 'OH, and must say I was very pleasantly surprised. Although most passengers were 'B-Light', we were all offered newspapers and free food/drink, as well as a second round when they came back down.

The crew mentioned at every possible opportunity that this was a 'Flybe aircraft and crew', and if their standard service is anything like this these days then this could be a very good form of PR for them with the regular BRU-UK passengers.

OltonPete
31st Mar 2012, 19:36
It seems at least two of the next batch of 175's have timetabled with Manchester - Dusseldorf the next Q400 flight to be replaced. Three daily in the week and although I think that this has been known for some time it is in GDS from Sunday 8th April. I assume that delivery of 175 number 5 is imminent.

I have previously reported BHX-HAM was showing as the 175 from 1/6/12 but finally Stuttgart double daily is also confirmed or at least an intention to operate from the same date. Saturday it does EDI & JER I believe.

BHX still seems to have a spare 195 although virtually operating everyday on Q400 flights alongside the other three based.

Pete

Aero Mad
31st Mar 2012, 21:56
Thinking of which; is there any chance I might get a 175 on LGW - ABZ on the 11th April or the return on the 13th? Website said I would previously but unfortunately now changed to a Q400. Wondering if there was a chance, however.

OltonPete
31st Mar 2012, 22:36
Aero Mad

GDS shows the 175 and seat map for one of the flights on the 11th also displays the 175.

22 rows 2/2 = 88 seats.

The first out from LGW shows 22 seats selected out of 88.

The booking engine is hopeless for aircraft type. Use the seat map or
the connections timetable for aircraft type.

Pete

CaptainDoony
31st Mar 2012, 22:44
Flybe use the E175 on ABZ-LGW nearly all the time so you are pretty much guaranteed a ride on one of them.:ok:

Aero Mad
1st Apr 2012, 12:07
Thank you for the replies. Checking on the seat reservation it does indeed seem that I will get a 175 both ways. Rather looking forward to it.

BAladdy
6th Apr 2012, 00:00
According to link below BE are to start a daily DH4 service from LHR starting 20th April. Anyone know what route they plan to start??

London Heathrow Airport Movements - Plane Mad (http://www.plane-mad.com/movements/london-heathrow-airport/)

Aero Mad
6th Apr 2012, 08:22
Probably going to enjoy some nice free IAG slots on a Scottish/NI route, although it would surprise me if they didn't use E195s.

ATNotts
6th Apr 2012, 08:35
You'd have thought that with a start date of 20 April they might have put some seats on sale by now! LHR is about the only UK airport not on flybe.com as today.

I don't know about "Plane Mad" - Plane bonkers seems more likely!

Set 1013
6th Apr 2012, 09:03
From what I understand it is connected with the Brussels contract. It won't be a BE flight.

JSCL
6th Apr 2012, 09:07
Loads on the RJ's and A319's from LHR for SN are healthy. Highly doubt they'd downgrade any of it to a Q400. If it were the case, it'd show as SN changing ops at LHR, not BE starting ops.

I doubt the ECC will permit a company partially owned by BA to take the slots. If they do, it just makes a mockery of the system.

Facelookbovvered
6th Apr 2012, 10:08
The 20th is of course the date the BA/bmi deal is due to be completed, BA only have a minority stake in Flybe (15%) so they could fly some routes under contract, it is no different from bmi using regional and the Dash has more seats and lower DOC than an ERJ, it will clog up the arrivals/departure flow though.

If regional is to go to IAG then i suspect there will need to be a revision of the DLH/IAG deal,i believe that a good number of the ERJ are owned, unless some are staying with DLH to feed its LHR operations from the regions until any time restriction from the EU deal have lapsed and they can be moved to IAG.

Perhaps we will see the Dash into here (BHD) on behalf of bmi/BA for this Summer, would make a lot of sense.

redED
6th Apr 2012, 10:35
it will clog up the arrivals/departure flow though.

You'll have rattled a few cages there. Having flown the dash I can assure you it won't. Does it going into LGW? No. Being on a far superior jet now I have experienced both, the Dash's speed is much easier to manage. 230 to 8 was our best.

If its true I can't see it being a dash either. Couple of spare 195s lying around at the minute with more 175s to come.

Finals19
6th Apr 2012, 12:19
Normal Dash arrival speed is 235kts below FL80 and into LGW the (ICAO) standard is 220kts downwind / 180kts base / 160kts to 4dme on final approach.

Is LHR any different? If not, then I don't think the Dash will cause a problem.

Otto Throttle
6th Apr 2012, 12:35
Depends if they have any visiting CDG controllers; "300 kts in descent". :ugh:

Occams Razor
6th Apr 2012, 13:40
the Dash's speed is much easier to manage
While it's in the air, I agree...they do seem to stop as soon as the hit the ground however, although I guess LHR is blessed with rapid exit taxiways.

gearupflapsupshutup
6th Apr 2012, 16:09
I have only done go around twice because of a slow 146/RJ but never whilst following a DashD.... I think at LHR it's silly that KLM had the F50's but the dash will not cause troubles!

GEB74
6th Apr 2012, 22:10
Whats the word on the street about planning for the scenario whereby BA dumps BMI Regional onto :hmm:partner:hmm: Flybe for "a hassle fee"??
Lets face it. Nobody else except Granite will buy regional and they seem to be ahem struggling with finance......
If BA take control of Regional late April, they will either have to shut it down or offload it. Offloading it would be quicker and looks "nicer" PR wise.
More Junior Jungle Jets to flog on??:E

BOHEuropean
7th Apr 2012, 09:29
Flybe will not be operating into LHR from the 20th April, nor for themselves or Brussels Airlines.

Jack1985
10th Apr 2012, 18:15
Dash8 Q400 - 48
Embraer 175 - 5 (+7 Due)
Embraer 195 - 14

Total | 67 (+ 7 Due)

PrestonPilot
10th Apr 2012, 18:25
Ok thanks, but you have a source?
What has happened to the 9 more listed on their own website?

AirGuru
10th Apr 2012, 18:26
I thought that they had a few more Dash8's coming ?

Jack1985
10th Apr 2012, 19:08
Image Verification (http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Flybe)

Jack1985
10th Apr 2012, 19:45
So you think airliners.net is more reliable than the CAA? Interesting. :ugh:
CAA lists 49, airliners.net 48 dash 8's.

Hold onto your knickers now. First off its planespotters.net. And yes 49 are registered - one of those is not in active service (stored) so 48 are in service as per planespotters.net.

Tonyq
10th Apr 2012, 19:54
Now, now PP that was rather rude, bearing in mind that you asked the question, and others just tried to answer as best they could.

The answer is quite simple. The website is not up to date. They had 57 Q400's some months ago, but several newer (owned) aircraft were sold to South Africa. More recently the oldest Q400's have been leaving, one at a time, as their 10 year leases expire. The CAA listing includes G-JEDK which is the next to leave, is no longer active, but is still on the register. Airliners show this one a 'stored' - hence the difference 48 or 49. Simples!!:D

BOHEuropean
11th Apr 2012, 09:34
Planespotters.net is very accurate actually. Particularly in regards to the Dash-8 listings.

Flybe has 48 Q400s operational, with two of these operating for Brussels Airlines. G-ECOH & G-ECOI.

G-JEDK has been painted white and has now been wfu, G-JEDL is next but is still flying in full cs for now.

Planespotters.net only lists aircraft on order that have known Construction Numbers. If the construction number is not known, then the aircraft is not added into the database. Just like many of the other databases on the net. It doesn't mean they're implying the airline only has 6 more on order.

So the correct numbers:

Dash8 Q400 - 48 (-1 2012)
Embraer 175 - 5 (+30 Due, around 4 of those being in 2012)
Embraer 195 - 14

Total | 67 (+ 30 Due)

Artic Monkey
11th Apr 2012, 09:54
I'm not sure where you get the E175 numbers from, we currently have four in service, and five are due this year.

Tonyq
11th Apr 2012, 10:04
Do please try to keep up AM.............
A new E175 (G-FBJE) was delivered last week and is now is service from MAN, hence one more in service, one fewer on order!!

dog in park
11th Apr 2012, 10:31
In other news...........
No sign of take-off for regional airline stock - Business News, Business - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/business-news/no-sign-of-takeoff-for-regional-airline-stock-16143316.html)

Artic Monkey
11th Apr 2012, 10:34
Keep up? I really can't be bothered, I have more important things to do.....I think :ooh:

PrestonPilot
11th Apr 2012, 19:06
how would one go about booking a flight from westray to papa westray, as it is not listed anywhere on the loganair website?

BAladdy
11th Apr 2012, 19:27
how would one go about booking a flight from westray to papa westray, as it is not listed anywhere on the loganair website?

Flights can be booked through Loganair's Orkney office

01856 872494

here is a link to the S12 schedule

http://www.loganair.co.uk/xtra_files/OrkneySummer25Mar12-27Oct12.pdf

Tonyq
11th Apr 2012, 19:29
Try again...............:ugh:

Reservations - Loganair (http://www.loganair.co.uk/reservations/)
These contact details are only for services within the Orkney Islands.

Loganair operates the Orkney Interisland service, which includes flights from Kirkwall to the North Isles. For flight information and to make a reservation contact Loganair's local offices.
Orkney
Tel: +44 (0) 1856 872494 or 873457
(Mon-Sat 0800-1700, Sun 0900-1600)

Closed 25th & 26th December and 1st & 2nd January.

Fax: +44 (0) 1856 872420
Email: [email protected]

lfc84
11th Apr 2012, 20:53
since flybe havent yet bothered to put their winter schedules on sale nor give any indication when they will, i have decided to book with a competitor who has.

tallaonehotel
12th Apr 2012, 07:00
I'll sleep better tonight knowing lfc84 has booked his flights with someone else.

Jerbourg
12th Apr 2012, 11:57
Are Flybe going to use the 328 on the GCI-NWI route this summer does anyone know? Going by last years loads it would be a perfect aircraft to use.

NickBarnes
12th Apr 2012, 19:26
It will be a Dash-8 i believe based from Guernsey

PPRuNeUser0176
12th Apr 2012, 19:28
Can somebody tell me from what BE base will engineers will have to come from to fix the Dash 8 in Waterford. I would of expected that they would of sent a replacement aircraft over to take passengers to BHX but they just cancelled the flight. They have done it for all other BE flights I have being on that were delayed due to tech problems.

cornishsimon
12th Apr 2012, 23:51
I'll sleep better tonight knowing lfc84 has booked his flights with someone
else.

well im also trying to book flights for November, its a bit of a pain that these arent released as yet !

cs

Cloud1
14th Apr 2012, 12:02
Winter schedule due for release end of Apr, beginning if May. Flybe are always the same and probably miss out on a lot of business - one day they may learn this.

Re: Waterford. There wasnt any spare capacity to send a replacement Q400 over. Engineers either from BHD or possibly BHX on the flight the next day

jetstreamtechrecords
15th Apr 2012, 11:28
The actions of a Flybe crew reacting to a false emergency alarm "significantly degraded the operational capability" of the plane, a report has said.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch said the Newquay-Edinburgh flight, made an emergency descent on 21 July.

The aircraft began to depressurize after a "spurious" smoke warning forced the crew to follow emergency protocol to remove smoke.

BBC News - Flybe criticised over Newquay-Edinburgh false alarm (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17680816)

vectisman
15th Apr 2012, 14:37
jetstreamtechrecords (http://www.pprune.org/members/176975-jetstreamtechrecords)
What point are you trying to make with your post about the Flybe incident?
If it is for genuine information I have absolutely no problem with it at all.
Having looked through many of your previous posts though you do seem to have a very negative view of Flybe. Once again I have no particular problem with that as long as there is no malice involved.
I must stress I have no connection at all with Flybe. I just fly with them several times a year.
V.

LBIA
17th Apr 2012, 15:43
Flybe franchise, Loganair has just announced a Glasgow - Leeds/Bradford route replacing bmi regional who are withdrawing from the service on Friday, May 4th.

The replacement service will operate 2x daily and commences from Tuesday, May 8th. The service will be operated by a Glasgow based Saab 340 aircraft.

Skipness One Echo
17th Apr 2012, 16:35
I was about to post suggesting that this was a good opportunity for Loganair. It was an old Loganair route anyway, they stepped into the breach when Capital went bust in 1990 but were kicked off in favour of British Midland when the Airlines of Britain group was "reorganised". Route went from 3 daily business friendly flights on the SD360 to twice daily on the ATP, SF340, ERJ-145, ERJ-135.

Whispering Giant
23rd Apr 2012, 06:34
Taken from the LSE newswire this morning :-

Flybe Group plc

("Flybe" or "the Group")

Appointment of Lord Digby Jones as non-executive Director

Flybe, Europe's largest regional airline, is pleased to announce the appointment of Lord Jones of Birmingham as a non-executive Director with effect from 23 April 2012.

Lord Jones is a former Minister of State for Trade & Investment and Director-General of the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), a post he held between January 2000 and June 2006. Currently, he is a Business Ambassador at UK Trade & Investment and Chairman of the British Airways International Business Advisory Board.

Additionally, Lord Jones is Chairman of Triumph Motorcycles Limited, Grove Industries Limited, Neutrino Concepts Ltd and the Emergency Services Advisory Board of Babcock International Group plc. Lord Jones is also Senior Advisor to HSBC, Harvey Nash plc and Argentex LLP, Corporate Ambassador to Jaguar Cars and a Corporate Advisor to JCB.

Jim French, Chairman and Chief Executive of Flybe, commented:

"We are absolutely delighted that Digby is joining the Flybe Board. He is a true champion of British industry and business and - like Flybe - is especially passionate about training and skills development.

"Flybe, as Europe's largest regional airline, is now firmly established as one of the UK's leading aviation groups and, as we seek to establish our own clear positions across vital and pressing industry policy initiatives, we will benefit hugely from Digby's insight and counsel. On behalf of Flybe, I extend a very warm welcome to Digby."

Lord Jones said:

"I am extremely excited to be joining Flybe, one of the UK's outstanding business success stories which, in just a decade, has become Europe's largest regional airline. As well as a successful airline, Flybe is also an outstanding example of what can be done by business to improve the quality of training for the next generation: Flybe's Training Academy, apprenticeship scheme and work with Exeter College and Exeter University are equipping young people with valuable skills and attracting the brightest and best from around the country. This is a vital contribution to skilling the UK to meet the challenges of a globalised economy.

"Flybe, for me, embodies the best of British business and I am greatly looking forward to working with my new colleagues."

TSR2
23rd Apr 2012, 07:38
Currently, he is a Business Ambassador at UK Trade & Investment and Chairman of the British Airways International Business Advisory Board.

Additionally, Lord Jones is Chairman of Triumph Motorcycles Limited, Grove Industries Limited, Neutrino Concepts Ltd and the Emergency Services Advisory Board of Babcock International Group plc. Lord Jones is also Senior Advisor to HSBC, Harvey Nash plc and Argentex LLP, Corporate Ambassador to Jaguar Cars and a Corporate Advisor to JCB.

Well I'm sure he can give FlyBe 100% commitment !

Serenity
23rd Apr 2012, 08:49
Does he have any time left with all his other directorships??

Are Flybe really in that much trouble??

Cost saving measure?? (£46,000 pa)

JimNich
24th Apr 2012, 08:37
Well, notwithstanding all the 'cup half empty' posts (thanks for those by the way, you guys should be in journalism), I did a quick troll on google for Digby. His expertise seems to lay in mergers and aquisitions, globally. He's spent years travelling the world bashing out deals, sometimes in the national interest and sometimes for individual companies. He's part troubleshooter, part nose gunner and part entrepreneur. I haven't come across a single article where his involvement hasn't been of some benefit. The projects he chooses always seem to be an offshoot of an exsisting tenure (either longstanding friends, communities he has an attachment to or subsiduaries of businesses he is already involved in). His involvement doesn't appear to be associated with doing a company's dirty work for them, in fact, he seems particularly outspoken agaisnt this sort of thing (I hope). He never hangs about for very long though.

How much time and energy he has to put in to Flybe is possibley a rather moot point. His job, I supect, will be to be on the end of a communication chain for our commmercial team. As we have all been told, repeatedly, in every single communique for upstairs, 'markets remain challenging' and Flybe have had the rug pulled out from under them a number of times recently. My feeling is this is a move to strengthen their negotiating position for future (or ongoing) deals.

Could all be a load of old tosh though of course. :O

Whispering Giant
26th Apr 2012, 07:36
Announced to the LSE this morning :-

Press Information Thursday 26th April 2012

FLYBE ANNOUNCES MAJOR BRAND RE-POSITIONING WITH 'MAKING FLYING BETTER'

Flybe, Europe's largest regional airline and the UK's Number One domestic carrier, has today announced a significant brand and product repositioning under the strapline 'Making flying better' that will bring together major new initiatives throughout 2012 to positively differentiate it from some of the negative perceptions of low fare travel.

Andrew Strong, Flybe UK MD explains: "We have listened to what our customers and the wider market are telling the industry. 'Making flying better' is Flybe's response and is a long term commitment and fundamental review of our product and brand positioning in the market."

Flybe's 'Making flying better' philosophy has three key objectives:

· Increasing our flight frequency and connections to offer greater choice and flexibility.

· Transparency pricing and booking processes to make it easier for our customers to understand.

· To reduce the hassle of air travel through UK airports.

A number of recent initiatives by Flybe that are very much part of the 'Making flying better' concept, are already proving a success with passengers, particularly the arrival of the new Embraer 175 jet aircraft that are now flying across the network; and the launch of Flybe's innovative Manchester hub that offers extra regional connections for the UK traveller.

At the heart of 'Making flying better' is a fair, open and transparent approach to sales and service policies. Included amongst many of the new product initiatives to be rolled out during 2012 are the following that have been introduced today

· No charges for customers paying by debit card

· Credit card customers being charged on a per booking basis regardless of the number of passengers in the booking

· Creation of three new ticket types:

o 1. Essentials: this is Flybe's lowest fare ticket that has no debit card charges, 10kg hand baggage allowance and seat selection at check in.

o 2. New Economy: A brand new ticket which, in addition to the free use of cards and 10kg hand bag allowance, also includes - in one upfront inclusive price - a free standard sized hold bag, free advance seat selection at the time of booking, a changeable ticket (which may incur a fare upgrade) plus a free SMS text message detailing the booking information. Prices for this ticket start at under £50.

o 3. Plus: Flybe has retained its top end product with a ticket that includes all the flexibility and comfort a short haul business traveller needs, including Executive Lounge access, a 40kg hold bag allowance and complimentary food and drink on board.

· The airline has also launched a new website and new-look advertising creative, including a soon-to-be aired series of TV commercials all featuring Flybe's own pilots and cabin crew.

Hot on the heels of this initial launch will see Flybe offering its customers smart phone enabled platforms and Apps that will allow booking and check in for travellers on the move.

The airline then plans for a Flybe first with summer trials of inflight TV programming and entertainment available free of charge for its passengers through onboard wi-fi. Additional product and service enhancements are due to follow throughout the year.

In further commenting on Flybe's new philosophy, Mr Strong adds: "In better serving our passengers and making the flying experience better for them, I want Flybe to be seen as fair and our pricing to be transparent. We have listened to what our passengers have told us about the entire process of travel - the things they enjoy and the things they would like changed, from booking through to check-in and then to the flight itself. We know from our customers that they rank the Flybe experience highly but also that their expectations have, quite understandably, changed over the years. By introducing service improvements like our New Economy product, the removal of debit card charges and the utilisation of more technology throughout the journey, we hope our passengers will appreciate that Flybe is raising its game once again.

"Making flying better' is more than a slogan. It is a promise to our passengers that we will make flying better, more straightforward and fair and, as always, with a quality service-led approach."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So look´s like the airline industry has come full circle, and is returning slowly back to the Full Service it once was. The day´s of LOW Cost are diminishing. Wonder how long before Easy and Ryan start to do somthing similar.

Cyrano
26th Apr 2012, 08:14
So look´s like the airline industry has come full circle, and is returning slowly back to the Full Service it once was. The day´s of LOW Cost are diminishing.

I really don't think flyBE's statement provides much evidence to support your bold assertion! :hmm:

ConstantFlyer
26th Apr 2012, 08:31
Sounds like a very welcome development. Well done, flybe. I am particularly pleased about point three - reducing the hassle at airports. Domestically, air can often beat rail on time and price, but falls down on the hassle front. Exactly what flybe can do to make airports give us (i) free drop-off by car; (ii) fewer queues and less intrusion at security; and (iii) less of that shopping centre feeling, I don't know. Maybe that's what Lord Digby's onboard to do. If he can bring influence with airport operators and the Department for Transport, then all well and good.

Lord Spandex Masher
26th Apr 2012, 08:43
So look´s like the airline industry has come full circle, and is returning slowly back to the Full Service it once was.

I've always maintained that this would happen.

The difference between then and now is much worse Ts&Cs, crap contracts and lower salaries.

Well played airline management!

Cactus99
26th Apr 2012, 18:28
Well it's about bloody time too! For too long we have been ripped off by airlines charging for using debit\ credit cards for booking.

Flybe jumped on the bandwagon along with other airlines with regard to this practice, so I'm not sure that pax will suddenly start flying with Flybe because they have relaxed these card charges.

What passengers want is a reliable, regular service which doesn't cost the earth. Not so sure this latest rebranding will have the desired effect to be honest.

Skipness One Echo
26th Apr 2012, 20:17
The key difference is that it is still much, much cheaper to fly today even with all the add ons. People will not pay for full service in economy, they always "say" they will then go and do the opposite.

Serenity
26th Apr 2012, 21:22
Hardley earth shattering or redefining travel.

Many other airlines have already dispensed with debit card charges a long time ago and have limited credit card charges.
iPhone app, wow! Already done by the competition.
New classes, you mean charge passengers more for things they can already book as extras!

Seems Flybe are only trying to catch up with the competition!!

JSCL
26th Apr 2012, 21:26
I think we will begin to see a slow move by many operators towards the semi-lowcost model. See Niki in Europe, their model is exactly that, it works extremely well and is loved by passengers. I think we'll begin to see that style of operator... more and more.

Cyrano
27th Apr 2012, 07:28
As far as Im aware the new class of "New Economy" is an increase of £19 on the base fare "Essential" so it does offer a saving compared to the old unbundled price structure of old.

I think its the right step forward and should be received well from old and new customers.

"New Economy" includes a checked bag, seat selection at time of booking, a "changeable fare", and an SMS message confirming the booking. I put "Changeable fare" in quotes because you still pay any difference between the original price and the lowest fare available on the flight you change to.

If I am a business passenger flying with hand luggage, the only feature in this lot that is of particular interest is seat selection at time of booking. £19 for that? I don't think so. I know I'm supposed to be attracted by the flexibility to change my return flight when my meeting finishes early, but it's so rare that (a) this happens and (b) there's a convenient earlier return, that I personally don't find it worth pricing in that option.

The inclusion of baggage allowance in the new economy fare, and the credit card charge per booking rather than per passenger, suggests that they are particularly targeting groups (I mean 2 or more) and families, rather than business travellers, who I imagine are viewed as less price-sensitive.

I think it's a gutsy move by flybe to try and put the "unbundling" genie back in the bottle, but I can't help see it as a way to increase yields first and foremost, dressed up in some warm and fuzzy rhetoric. It's all perfectly rational, I suppose, but for me it doesn't deserve the tag of "a new philosophy of flying".

mart901
27th Apr 2012, 07:52
I'm quite in favour of it really people are being fleeced for things online that were once incusive or didn't exist. Having the audacity to want to bring luggage on a Ryanair flight in the summer season adds a hideous amount to the price of a flight and theres times when for some its unavoidable. The irony of it all however is correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it flybe who first proposed baggage charges, being pipped to the post by Ryanair in launching it.

Cyrano
27th Apr 2012, 08:36
Well if that was your circumstance then you would choose the essential product and not pay the £19. I don't think its that hard to figure out.

You totally missed the point in my example. Under the old structure it would have cost a lot more to add on all of the above you mentioned.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough: the issue I have with that bundle is that only part of it is of value to me. Of course I can get the "essentials" fare - you're right - but the advantage of unbundling is that you don't pay for what you don't want. The £19 supplement includes a number of items that I wouldn't want and previously wouldn't have paid for, so the fact that their individual prices today add up to more than £19 is irrelevant to me.

But rather than dwell on sample-of-one travel habits :ouch: I think there is an interesting general question: with the industry converted to "unbundled", will flyBE be able to move the consumer back to accepting "bundled"? As Mart901 says, there is an irony in the fact that flyBE were one of the early cheerleaders for unbundling in the form of baggage charges.

judge11
27th Apr 2012, 08:44
All we need now is the reintroduction of 'standard fares' ie you pay the same whether you book 3 months in advance or the day before and the wheel will well and truley have turned full circle.

In my dealings with the flying public, there is an increasing sentiment that the Russian roulette of what you pay depending on when you book is starting to wear thin. Of course, those who have such structured existences and enjoy the luxury of knowing what their future holds every day for the next 6 months may lose out but for we mortals who don't know what's happening next Monday, it would be an advantage.

davidjohnson6
27th Apr 2012, 08:48
On what proportion of its routes does BE have a monopoly ? This may give the airline pricing power sufficient to encourage bundling

Cloud1
27th Apr 2012, 09:11
Deary me, only on here can any change to a company policy be pulled to pieces because it doesnt suit that individual.

A couple of facts here, the number of passengers that turn up at the airport because their meeting has finished early is very high. Quite often, these will be company bookings made through the sales department or through a travel agency rate (higher booking class) so the same fare may be available they just need to pay the administration charges which isnt bad if its one, but two of you comes to just short of a hundred quid. New Economy would remove this so the change would be free. Huge bonus for those wanting to return home 4 hours earlier.

Additionally business passengers do tend to bring hand baggage only when doing a day return. However those staying overnight or for longer tend to check a bag in so that they can take what they need. 70% of these either have their travel agent prebook the bag or they pay at the airport. The remaining 30% are surprised and unaware of the charge as they have not been notified of it at all. The free bag will mean that it may actually be cheaper to pay the additional £19 difference than £30 for a bag at the airport on the day.

If however neither of these apply, the passenger books essentials which replaces the original economy anyway. No issue really

Anyway no company can provide a package for every single individual but I do believe that this new structure will offer something for the majority of travellers no matter what their reason. It is a change that has been in the pipeline and staff are very pleased to see because we are now going back in a circle to 'the good old days' (apparently)

I am sure this is just the start - not everyone can be pleased but those that travel frequently may well appreciate the new product

egnxema
28th Apr 2012, 14:38
Only major issue is that my company mandates that all domestic and european flights are booked through our agent's online booking site, and these add-ons, I am told, are not visible in online booking tools.

A bit of a major oversight on flyBE's part according to our Travel Manager.

Burpbot
28th Apr 2012, 18:07
It may well be your advisors oversight, if your company deal with Flybe direct they will receive corporate rates and a tailored package.

egnxema
29th Apr 2012, 09:01
Corporate rates are more expensive than the lowest fares available + £19 - so not a better deal

brian_dromey
29th Apr 2012, 09:21
Aer Lingus also have a similar "plus" fare across the network now. Its £17/€20 as I recall, but there is still a small change fee + fare difference. Seat selection, bags and FFP points are also added in.

I think there is a move to tailor products for different sectors of the market. In reality it is do different to the supermarkets. You can have M Savers Baked Beans, Morrisons Baked Beans or The Best Baked Beans, each catering to a slightly different demographic.

Scottie Dog
29th Apr 2012, 14:36
egnxema

You forget, or possibly are not aware, that the majority of flybe route deals will be based on fully refundable/changeable rules.

You may initially save a lot of money by going for a low fare that has no flexibility, but in the long-run your company will probably save money by using negotiated fares.

I see so many tickets coming across my desk that have been booked on non-refundable/non changeable rules and where, even allowing for refund of taxes (less £25 per sector penalty), there ends up being an extremely high loss.

Take British Airways as another example where you may accept a lower fare which you can change at a fee of £60.00 plus any difference in fare to the next available level. Change your booking a couple of times and you soon can be paying a higher total cost that if you had paid the full fare in the first place.

Scottie Dog

adfly
29th Apr 2012, 16:18
Flybe | Corporate | Media | News archives (http://www.flybe.com/corporate/media/news/1204/26.htm)

Interesting news feature on new ticket pricing structure which looks like a very good idea, and should stop people feeling 'robbed' by extra charges. Also mentions the introduction of free Wi-Fi on selected flights which is a very useful feature for both Business and Leisure passengers.

It seems recently all of the main Low-cost carriers have tried to 'race upmarket' with Flybe doing the above, Easyjet also trying to make themselves more passenger friendly and even Ryanair trying out allocated seating and using more primary airports!

Wycombe
2nd May 2012, 07:00
In light of the release of the Winter schedule yesterday, I had a quick cast around Flybe.com, and noted the following under "cheap flight destinations":

Prague
Nuremburg
Sofia

....although they don't actually appear in the timetable as far as I can work out.

Also noted that according to the route map, flights from Manston to Edinburgh and Belfast City are still available :ugh:and there are no flights from Newquay to Manchester :ugh: - accuracy not a strong point evidently.

GayFriendly
2nd May 2012, 08:31
The destinations you have mentioned, along with BUD, WAW and quite a few more are all offered as an AF codeshare, you can book BHX/EXT/MAN/EDI etc-WAW, SOF, NUE etc for one fare travelling via CDG, BE to CDG, AF CDG to final destination. Not cheap though in my experience unless they have reduced the fares in the past few weeks!

As for the route map, well I guess that will be updated in due course. In my experience route maps and timetables are the last thing to be updated, airlines want you to simply book using the constantly updated booking engine. Agreed though, a lack of accuracy on company websites is frustrating

j636
2nd May 2012, 13:34
Flybe announces East Midlands winter expansion (http://www.routes-news.com/news/item/448-flybe-announces-east-midlands-winter-expansion)

2 aircraft, 5 routes (all served by Bmibaby)

Boing7117
2nd May 2012, 14:55
Interesting move, clearly, picking up the slack from what BMI Baby left behind. Fingers crossed Flybe can make this work.

I presume this will be crewed by BHX and MAN and/or crews operating maybe GLA / EMA / CDG / EMA / GLA if that sort of thing fits in with the planned schedule.

Didn't see this one coming, but any expansion is good news in these difficult times.

Buster the Bear
2nd May 2012, 19:19
Report says 2 based, so I would guess crews to be based there or shared with Birmingham?

Otto Throttle
2nd May 2012, 19:38
Crews most likely to be based on a night stopping roster, as bases not usually permanently crewed until at least 6 months of operation.

OltonPete
5th May 2012, 11:55
I have received an e-mail this morning stating passengers can book BHX - EDI & GLA and if necessary change to EMA once they have released the flights for booking and they are working on bringing the start date forward to early summer.

Also BHX - BHD will see more jets and EMA-BHD doubled.

Is this all possible aircraft and crewing wise?

The 4th and spare 195 at BHX is virtually used every day on various routes and I assume that there would be little problem using this one and I worked out that the requirement was about 60-61 aircraft for the summer schedule with anywhere been 66-70 available (a couple Q400's going and 175's arriving).

Is BHX-AMS likely to be looked at as well?

Pete

The Cleaner
5th May 2012, 12:30
BMI Regional?? BBC reporting that possible new owners in discussions with FlyBe regarding possible franchise tie up a la Loganair??

Leg
5th May 2012, 12:47
Serenity

You are correct that other operators removed credit/debit charges
some time ago, however those charges merely changed name and
became 'administration charges'!

Flybe are removing all such charges (small actual card cost still applies),
Easy & Ryanair still apply these profiteering charges.

Even if you are not a flybe fan, credit where credits due old boy!

Leg

hampshireandy
6th May 2012, 15:08
call me cynical but i suspect that Flybe wont be losing a penny by withdrawing credit card charges, they will simply increase the fares to cover it.

Lord Spandex Masher
6th May 2012, 15:29
Ok then, you're cynical.

Of course Flybe will do as you suggest. Passengers don't want to pay card charges for booking a ticket do they. Now they're not.

Passengers wanted more transparent ticket pricing. Now they haven't.

Everybody happy?

G-FLYB
6th May 2012, 15:49
Hi Hampshire Andy

Cynical? - perhaps.

How much do you think it is reasonable to pay (in total) for a 45 min - 1 hour one way flight?

I would suggest £100+

Don't get confused between what you would like to pay and what is reasonable to pay. We all love a bargain but too many of those don't contribute to the bottom line of any airline's balance sheet.

Flybe made a small loss last year and therefore, no matter how it is disguised, didn't charge each of it's passengers enough.
Now that the debit card charge has been removed the fares will have to be increased. No airline can continue to survive in the long term by making a loss.

Serenity
6th May 2012, 17:56
£100 huh??

Still don't know how they made a loss!!!

Try
1hr flight £350
1.20 flight £1,000

They are facts, and the guy who paid £350 got pissed off when charged £4 for a sandwich ontop!!

G-FLYB
6th May 2012, 18:35
Serenity

If everybody paid £350 one way Flybe wouldn't be making a loss! I have never seen a 1hr20 one way flight quoted at £1000, but stand to be corrected.

Perhaps I should have said a lost leader minimum of £100+ one way.

On average, passengers need to pay more. They need to pay enough to allow the carrier to make a profit. If they don't then the carrier goes bust.

Simples

Cactus99
7th May 2012, 07:34
The "charging more per flight" to make a profit may have limited value.

Unfortunatley that does not work when they are in competition from the likes of Easy.

I view Flybe as very expensive, as does a large number of my friends and family, but thats compared to booking a similar £29.99 flight with Easyjet.

Why would I choose to fly with Flybe from Gatwick to Inverness or Aberdeen when I can fly with Easy for more than half the price.

Im not saying its right to charge so little to fly, but at the end of the day for most people it comes down to cost and most will go with the cheaper option, which invariably isnt Flybe.

Just my 2p worth.

Lord Spandex Masher
7th May 2012, 08:16
As witnessed in Inverness when 30 odd passengers disembark from a 175 and 130 odd from an orange bus!

Regularly.

A major part of Flybe's dosh comes from on board sales, running around with a 60% load factor does not much money make.

Fill the seats up with cheaper tickets, sell more on board.

Deano777
7th May 2012, 08:49
But Easyjet have to fill 80% of their airbus just to break even, whereas Flybe doesn't, that is why 130 people get off. Their pricing structure has many steps, i.e. sell X amount of tickets at x price before increasing fairs to the next step. Flybe have 2 steps only but are looking at introducing more steps. The INV -LGW route isn't loss making for the company.

Lord Spandex Masher
7th May 2012, 09:14
Fair point Deano.

I suppose it's a balance between ticket sales and on board sales but it would be better to maximise both.

ESCNI
8th May 2012, 18:02
Anybody any idea when the extra BHD/EMA flights are due to start?

...and when they will be available to book?

Skipness One Echo
8th May 2012, 22:02
As witnessed in Inverness when 30 odd passengers disembark from a 175 and 130 odd from an orange bus!

They've lost market share as they inherited a thrice daily BAe146-300, upgraded to a new ERJ-195 and has been recently downsized to the ERJ-175. I was up recently and the load factor was about 60% both ways.

redED
8th May 2012, 22:12
Anybody any idea when the extra BHD/EMA flights are due to start?

...and when they will be available to book?

As soon as baby pull out I think - 11th of June.

It's shocking that none of flights can be books yet, what are they playing at?

cornishsimon
8th May 2012, 22:13
Any prospect of anything else from NQY on the horizon ?

cs

JobsaGoodun
9th May 2012, 07:56
It's shocking that none of flights can be books yet, what are they playing at?

Let's be realistic, Flybe have been trimming their fleet as a result of the economic downturn and I don't suppose they expected an opportunity like this to come up. Finding aircraft for October is going to be a little easier than suddenly having everything ready to go in six weeks.

I guess that unless you have a few Dash 8's kicking around in your back garden at competitive rates then it will take them a bit of time. :)

To ease things, they are at least letting people book the BHX flights with the opportunity to transfer these to EMA when flights are available.

Otto Throttle
9th May 2012, 09:10
The fleet is far from fully utilised at the moment. There are several airframes around the network operating 2 short sectors and then sitting around for a number of hours before flying again. I suspect the difficulty may lie in adjusting the current schedules to make adequate space for the new sectors as they wont conveniently slot in with the above-mentioned down time.

Welshtraveller
9th May 2012, 13:59
Which airline operates the Birmingham to Milan route in June? Is it one of the new aircrafts? Thanks. :)

Hotel Tango
9th May 2012, 14:13
Well there's a couple of ex FlyBe Dash 8s sitting around at Maastricht with nothing to do.

hampshireandy
9th May 2012, 17:07
The wonderful 'new' Flybe website is down yet again, have got to the final booking page and am trying to give them my money but they just wont take it!

ematom1
9th May 2012, 17:24
any schedules released for ema yet?

jetstreamtechrecords
11th May 2012, 15:46
So Im betting ten quid to a mouldy haggis that before you know it Logie and Granite get together as Scotlands airline. Maybe this is all part of the master plan at BA and Granite joins the FlyBe franchise club.......or not.:ouch: Any Jocks know whats really happening cos both Lakie and Exeter must have been upset their bids were topped by the Scottish mafia.:ooh:

JimNich
11th May 2012, 16:30
Not sure if Flybe ever had a bid in other than their initial consultation with Lufthansa. Did hear a rumour that they were told to back off by the monopolies lot though, which would make sense considering their growing share of the regional market.

As for the franchise side of things, just remember, Loganair made a profit last year and Flybe did not, it can't be that bad a deal.

ara01jbb
11th May 2012, 17:28
While waiting for a flight a few months ago, I overheard two BE suits discussing the prospects for BMI-R. They referred to the acquisition and integration of BAcon and all it's jungle jets as "almost killing us last time" - there didn't seem to be much appetite for doing it all over again.

UN614
11th May 2012, 23:22
Will Flybe be sacrificing a morning departure from edi and gla to serve ema or will an extra based aircraft be required?

OltonPete
12th May 2012, 10:37
UN614

As I mentioned a few posts back flybe have 67 aircraft at present per Jethro's and another 175 is due for BHX-STR/HAM from 1/6/2012.

Assuming that it arrives that will be 68 aircraft with a requirement of 60-62 per day (not sure of any further lease hand-backs). In theory that sounds fine but as others have mentioned there is planned maintenance to consider and possible crewing issues.

The spare 195 at BHX if used on the early morning Q400 flight to BHD (not showing as yet) will free up one more Dash. The only problem with that is that this same spare 195 is still virtually flying every weekday covering Q400 flights to Hanover/Stuttgart/Aberdeen etc.

I am sure that other options might come to light before 10 September.

It seems Aer Lingus Regional have pulled back from announcing BHX-NOC another route for flybe to consider?

Pete

Tonyq
12th May 2012, 11:38
G-JEDL reaches its 10th birthday in June, which has been the handback trigger for G-JEDI/J/K, so strong possibility it will be stood down whe n the next E175 appears?

EMX81L
12th May 2012, 16:36
GJEDL was heading for EMA's paintshop on Thursday night I believe according to the flight deck that were flying it as they were dropping it off there after the BE197 IOMBHX

OltonPete
12th May 2012, 17:37
Thank you for the replies re the Q400 leases especially "DL"

Using that information can we assume that is it for 2012?

"DM" was delivered 18/7/03 and "DN" 31/7/13 and I trust they
will go in 2013.

Also is there any scope to accelerate the delivery of the 175's
if required?

Pete

MUFC_fan
12th May 2012, 22:22
Flybe have 10 year leases so one would assume it's curtains...

redED
14th May 2012, 09:46
G-FBJF coming towards the end of the month. don't know about accelerating other deliveries, would be useful though by the sounds of it.

Flightlevel001
14th May 2012, 09:59
Considering much of the 'Making Flying Better' campaign is underpinned by using the Ejet, it might not be a bad idea to accelerate those deliveries (if it can be done by Embraer) Imagine all of the disappointed people thinking that they are about to board a shiny new Ejet with wifi and all the rest of it only to be greeted by a tired old Q4; which is still the mainstay of the fleet by a long way. Making Flying Better it does not...

Perhaps one of the reasons for a slow fleet renewal is difficulty shifting the Dashes? I know that the airline will struggle to convert crews over and still cover the existing schedule if new Ejets were coming thick and fast.

Tonyq
14th May 2012, 10:27
Is 'difficulty shifting the Dashes' actually FlyBe's problem? If they reach the end of their initial 10 year lease, presumably they become someone else's responsibilty. If Flybe try to shed them early, this presumably comes with a financial cost.

I'm also not sure it is fair to describe them as tired. I fly them very frequently, and if you get one of the G-ECxx or G-FLxx series, they are in very good nick from a passenger perspective. OK a shiny new E175 would be better, but they can't swap out 30+ aircraft overnight.

adfly
14th May 2012, 11:48
Does anybody know which Aircraft/routes will get onboard Wifi? The website says 'selected routes' and it was also mentioned in a local newspaper article some aircraft/routes from SOU will get it. It would be nice to get it when I fly SOU-ALC in July!

Tonyq
14th May 2012, 12:42
It you were running BE, would 'bucket and spade' routes be top of your list for this type of enhancement?

adfly
14th May 2012, 13:06
A fair point, but I assume the availiability of it will be based on whether an aircraft has Wifi or not and the Embraer 195's which fly most of the 'bucket and spade' routes are also used on a number of business routes and are Flybe's 'flagship' aircaft so it should definately not be ruled out!!

JSCL
14th May 2012, 13:26
I could be wrong but the availability of the wifi is not based on your final destination. Is available domestic for the UK. Not Europe-wide.

Rivet Joint
14th May 2012, 22:15
That will be the tired old Q's that have turned Flybe into the indisputed domestic force it is today? :ok:

As previous posters have mentioned, the 175's will come online with each Q lease end. I will be very surprised if the Q's don't remain the largest fleet type. Suicide springs to mind :cool:.

anne747380
15th May 2012, 01:40
Are there still 3 E-Jets based in Southampton?There seems to be very little E-Jet activity in Southampton now.Does anyone here know which ones are based in Soton?Looks like they all gone to Birmingham.We used to Have G-FBEE,GFBED and G-FBEB but all 3 have disappeared now.

Wycombe
15th May 2012, 08:03
Well, they must be there, as routes like FAO, AGP, ALC and PMI, which either re-start or increase at this time of year aren't flown on the Dash.

I suspect they are just out flying more than they were during the Winter!

BOHEuropean
16th May 2012, 13:02
Two E195s during the week, three during the weekends. You should see their increased presence shortly.

Will operate to destinations such as EDI, MAN, JER, FAO, GLA, IBZ, PMI, ALC, NCE, AGP, MAH, BZR... etc...

BAladdy
18th May 2012, 20:21
any schedules released for ema yet?

Only EDI and GLA flights released. Flights will be operated by EDI and GLA based DH4's.

Edinburgh to East Midlands

BE261 EDI 07:15 EMA 08:30 DH4 x7
BE265 EDI 14:45 EMA 16:00 DH4 x6
BE267 EDI 18:15 EMA 19:30 DH4 x6

East Midlands to Edinburgh

BE262 EMA 08:55 EDI 10:05 DH4 x7
BE266 EMA 16:25 EDI 17:35 DH4 x6
BE268 EMA 19:55 EDI 21:05 DH4 x6

Glasgow to East Midlands

BE551 GLA 07:05 EMA 08:20 DH4 x7
BE555 GLA 14:35 EMA 15:50 DH4 x6
BE557 GLA 18:05 EMA 19:20 DH4 x6

East Midlands to Glasgow

BE552 EMA 08:45 GLA 09:55 DH4 x7
BE556 EMA 16:15 GLA 17:25 DH4 x6
BE558 EMA 19:45 GLA 20:55 DH4 x6

Rivet Joint
18th May 2012, 21:33
Problem is that Sou only has so many stands that can take the high tailed emb's.

Although its not like BAA have just sold two of their airports for multi-million pound sums, Sou's airfield will have to stay unfit for purpose it seems :ugh:

Whispering Giant
22nd May 2012, 07:58
Just announced on the LSE (London Stock Exchange) this morning, Flybe Europe signs MoU with Finnair to operate there Embraer E190's. See press release copied below :-

Flybe Group plc

("Flybe" or "the Group")

Contract Flying MoU with Finnair

Flybe, Europe's largest regional airline, today announces that Flybe Nordic, its joint venture with Finnair, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Finnair to fly 12 Embraer E190 regional jets on behalf of Finnair under a contract flying arrangement.

Under the terms of the MoU, the long term E190 contract flying operations will commence on 28 October 2012. The aircraft will fly for Finnair on a number of European short haul routes, taking advantage of Flybe Nordic's competitive cost base.

With this further agreement the number of aircraft flown by Flybe Nordic will reach 28, double the number flown when the business commenced operations in August 2011, of which 20 will be flying under contract for Finnair.

Mike Rutter, Managing Director of Flybe Europe, commented:

"Flybe took the decision in 2011 to expand its successful regional airline business model into the Nordic and Baltic regions with the objective of becoming the largest and most successful regional airline in those areas.

"In the ten months since its foundation, Flybe Nordic has expanded its operations from Finland to Denmark, Estonia, Norway and Sweden - in the latter country establishing a growing presence at Stockholm's city airport Bromma.

"We have been flying eight aircraft on a contract basis for Finnair since August 2011 and we are delighted that the quality and efficiency of our operations have persuaded Finnair to add another 12 aircraft to our partnership."

Mika Vehviläinen, Finnair CEO, commented:

"This move is a logical extension of our co-operation with Flybe. The MoU covers approximately one third of Finnair's European flights. Flybe offers us a cost efficient platform for operating this traffic and enables us to continue to offer the wide network and frequencies to both our regional customers as well as our customers flying between Europe and Finnair's Asian destinations.

"We believe that, from the customer point view, the change will be virtually unnoticed as they will maintain the benefits of our extensive network in Europe and opportunity to exploit our fast Asian routes. We look forward to this expansion of our co-operation with Flybe, which has proven its capabilities to run regional traffic efficiently."

Jim French, Chairman and CEO of Flybe Group plc, concluded:

"Today's announcement marks another major step in the successful development of the Flybe Nordic business. This extension of our existing contract flying operations for Finnair is a key part of Flybe Nordic's strategy, adding substantial scale whilst balancing Flybe Group's overall risk.

"With this deal, 25% of the fleet under Flybe Group's management will be deployed under contract flying arrangements. We believe there are many more similar opportunities to develop this side of the business."

22 May 2012

Andrew R
22nd May 2012, 10:14
Does anyone know if BHD will get more Ejets based? What about the BHD - SOU route, any ejets coming?

anne747380
22nd May 2012, 17:24
I hope there are some Flybe E-Jet drivers here.Now could you tell me how you tame your Brazillian Jets.I know from AC pilots that the E-Jets were a real pain in the backside to start with.They called it Embraer 180 as the jet would need a constant restart.Did you have to deal with issues like that?Do you still have troubles with them and which E-Jet is your "Hangar Queen" in the Flybe fleet?Personally I love the E-Jets and the sleek modern design.But I do know of other E-Jet pilots who detest them even calling the little jets "Brazillian Bitch"Love to hear from Flybe Pilots.Also wondering if there are female Flybe E-Jet pilots.

NorthernCounties
22nd May 2012, 17:30
if there are female Flybe E-Jet pilots

I can confirm this for you... as I had one flying BHX - ABZ in June '10!

kazzie
22nd May 2012, 19:47
I have seen plenty of female FO / Captains on the E-Jet. As well as the Dash.

Lord Spandex Masher
22nd May 2012, 19:52
Anne, I flew the 195 at Flybe for about 5 years.

Very occasionally, and I mean half a dozen if that, we had to power down and reboot but that was fairly soon after it entered service. Usually happened first thing in the morning too.

I had 1 technical problem which resulted in a cancelled flight. But that was due to a bit of engine software built by the Brits!

I think Flybe currently have a dispatch reliability of over 99.5%.

There are plenty of female pilots at Flybe, just as good as everyone else although some thought they were better:rolleyes:

OltonPete
22nd May 2012, 20:23
As an outsider from the industry but a regular observer of BHX schedules I can only say that the 195 has been nothing short of amazing in respect of dispatch reliability.

From day one on what I believe was the first ever commercial flight of the 195 on BHX-GLA, cancellations and delays have been few or far between. I did pick up a 10-15 minute delay myself as pax on BHX-EDI and it was described by the crew as a "reboot" but other than that pretty good.

As a passenger the 195 is impressive especially if you keep clear of the back rows.

BHX only has the one 175 based until next week and seems to be fairly decent as well for reliability although I still have not flown on one.

Pete

Andrew R
22nd May 2012, 20:45
What is wrong with the back rows?

I was on a 195 on Sunday night from BHX to BHD and for some reason they couldn't let passengers get of the aircraft from the rear after trying for about 5 minutes.

Lord Spandex Masher
22nd May 2012, 21:11
Andrew I suspect that it more to do with ground handling than problems with the aircraft.

Can you elaborate?

OltonPete
22nd May 2012, 21:16
Andrew R

Back rows - bounced around like I don't know what every time we hit a cloud and it was in good flying conditions without the seat-belt signs on. In fact the cloud was only scattered and I have sat half way up in poor weather and it has been fine, probably just a one-off and it wasn't CAT.

Pete

Flightrider
22nd May 2012, 21:56
E-Jet reliability is superb and passenger cabin comfort is probably the best of any type in service on short-haul routes. If you get disrupted on an Embraer flight, it's probably the knock-on effects within the schedule from another one of the bloody Q400s going tech. If you'd asked the question of the Q400 fleet, you'd get quite a different answer - it's an atrocious aircraft in almost every respect ranging from tech reliability to passenger experience. I've never yet touched down in one of the damn things without wondering whether we'd been shot down or just landed normally. If the Argentinians invade the Falklands again, no need to send a Vulcan this time - just send a Q400 to do some touch & gos and the runway will be cratered beyond repair after a few circuits - if it doesn't go tech before it completes them, of course.

anne747380
23rd May 2012, 00:22
Thanks for all your replies,very interesting to hear from you,LMS,regarding the reboot on the E-Jets.I'm glad that the Flybe ones are doing fine.I have heard that the E-Jets don't like the cold, perhaps that explains why they played up in the early morning.
I do fly with Flybe several times a year and sometimes I'm lucky to catch the 195 which has been very nice indeed!My last few flights were on the Q400,which I must admit is not so pleasant.I have to admit,I'm not a fan of the Q400.Funny enough,every time I go on the Q400 there is a fault with these damn spindles and I also hate the landings,always rough.On the E-Jets,it's a totally different story,always smooth landings and no delays.I agree with Flightrider,the Q400 is a piece of junk.I pray that Flybe will dump them all and go Embraer the whole way.There are many other pax who share the same view.Unfortunatly Southampton seems to be swamped with the props and our E-Jets seem to have vanished,possibly to BHX.We only have 2 now which is a great shame.

clareview
23rd May 2012, 17:34
I see reports of flybe taking on half a dozen Finnair Embs and operating them on its behalf.

Rivet Joint
23rd May 2012, 17:50
Its customers like you that cause airlines to go bankrupt. Luckily the majoity of people don't care what the aircraft feels or looks like on a small sector that the Q's fly on.

Ask yourself this Flightrider, which out of the Q and the Emb fly the most sectors in one given day? Like with anything, the more you use it, the more worn its going to get :rolleyes:

revo
23rd May 2012, 17:54
The Birmingham to Waterford service reduces to 5 weekly from 11th June. With the Tuesday and Thursday services dropped

Revo

giblets
23rd May 2012, 19:08
I can echo the sentiments on the Q400, think I flew to Glasgow four times on them, didn't make it back on time once, on two occasions the aircraft went tech, and ended up being delayed 2-3hrs.

Another time, aircraft went tech, the flight was cancelled, and all the passengers booted onto the later flight, which was upgraded to an Embraer, which was lovely in comparisons, greats seats and legroom!

The third time admittedly was not the aircrafts fault, was when the private aircraft hit the ILS transmitter at BHX, ended up on baby to EMA.

redED
23rd May 2012, 19:52
I see reports of flybe taking on half a dozen Finnair Embs and operating them on its behalf.

A whole dozen even, with pilots and cabin crew included.

BluffOldSeaDog
23rd May 2012, 22:44
FlyBE NORDIC, same parent company but nothing to do with FlyBE UK in as far as flight ops is concerned

Andrew R
23rd May 2012, 23:46
I've flown on about 5 Q400 FlyBe flights this year and only once was delayed due to technical problems (a faulty door at BHD), the other delays were weather related.

I'll echo all the comments made here about the Q400. I really dislike the little plane and try to avoid flying on them. It's always bumpy on landing and takeoff, noisy, claustrophobic etc. By comparison I love the Flybe E-Jets but I don't think they are as comfortable as an A320 but a hell of a more comfortable than a Q400.

EuroWings
24th May 2012, 06:09
The Q400 is still top of its class when it comes to turboprops in terms of speed and noise levels, try a Fokker 50 or an ATR42 (both flown from the UK and Ireland) and then see that the Q400 isn't bad from a passenger perspective.