PDA

View Full Version : FlyBe - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

EGTE
16th Nov 2010, 21:18
A new summer Saturday service between Dusseldorf and Exeter announced on the Flybe website today.

ALLMCC
16th Nov 2010, 21:24
Apparently Flybe are considering reinstating the BHD - NWI service which was withdrawn when Air Berlin started the BHD - STN service (subsequently taken over by FR who have recently departed BHD). Anyone think this is likely?

Wycombe
17th Nov 2010, 07:57
A new summer Saturday service between Dusseldorf and Exeter announced on the Flybe website today

In my opinion this should have been a NQY-DUS route - anyone who lives in or goes to Cornwall in high Summer will know that Germans like it very much, places like St Ives were thronging with them this year.

Edit to add more BE news that I already posted on the SOU airport thread:

According to the Flybe online timetable, SOU will see flights to Pau, Beziers and Clermont-Ferrand in addition to the existing raft of French destinations for S11.

Having said that the Croatian destinations (Dubrovnik, Split) that operated this year appear to have gone.

Initially I thought these new French routes might be codeshares via Paris, but the timings for the Beziers as an example would suggest otherwise:

Southampton - Beziers
BE3915 10:35 13:35 M . . . F . . - - 27-May-11 - 09-Sep-11

Beziers - Southampton
BE3916 14:10 15:05 M . . . F . . - - 27-May-11 - 09-Sep-11

Block time of around 2 hours seems about right for that route on the Dash?

Cloud1
17th Nov 2010, 20:37
A couple of the new routes seem to be operated by the E195 according to the eco-label when booking.

Goldwings
18th Nov 2010, 07:02
Or on the E175 if the rumours are to be believed. The Eco Label of the E175 is more than likely the same as the 195.

Devonair
18th Nov 2010, 07:36
I can see why Flybe chose EXT - DUS over NQY - DUS. It helps if scheduled routes have support on both ends. EXT catchment is far larger than NQY. LH already run a charter to NQY from DUS. Austrian ran a series of summer only charters from Vienna to Exeter this summer. When I worked for VisitBritain it was clear Germans had a love affair with both Devon and Cornwall. They will fly in and hire a car and can be in St Ives in 2 hours from Exeter.

GrahamK
18th Nov 2010, 08:03
Wycombe, I believe Lufthansa are upgrading their summer saturday flights between Dusseldorf and Newquay next summer to a 737-500 from the CRJ that had been used this past summer :ok:

Wycombe
18th Nov 2010, 09:22
They will fly in and hire a car and can be in St Ives in 2 hours from Exeter.

Try that on a Saturday in August on the A30! - but, point taken.

I was aware of the LH Cityline DUS-NQY charter, good news it is being upgraded.

Are the above posts suggesting that some 175's will appear in SOU for S11 now?

big d1
18th Nov 2010, 11:20
Nothing new with regards to E175 locations. After the one for Guernsey the next one doesn't arrive till Sept time. Always liable for change I suspect so who knows. The E195's down in SOU don't do that much work relative to the Q400's so it is possible that these new routes are on the E195.

LGWAlan
18th Nov 2010, 13:20
The LH is not just a charter - seats are sold scheduled basis - flt ops 18/6/11 thru 27/8/11 1050-1130/1210-1450 DUS-NQY-DUS on B735

Tonyq
18th Nov 2010, 14:17
Don't forget that BE have the final 4 Q400's on definite order due in Q2 and Q3 next year, so they will need to find quite a bit of new work to keep them occupied.

I'm aware they are still hanging on to the last 2 ex-SAS models right now and there have been rumours of some of the very early indigenous ones going too, but I'm sure when these deliveries were deferred to 2011, it was intended to use them for network growth.

gearupflapsupshutup
19th Nov 2010, 14:05
so, have those AF execs been to EXT then?

Tyreplug
21st Nov 2010, 08:41
Q400 exclusive charter for just one male and one female passenger. Red carpet was laid out for these two in a big way. Aircraft parked outside Walker Hangar and met by Rutter apparently.

Understand that they were AF execs in the airport department (whatever that is) I think it may be about the new French bases.

OltonPete
21st Nov 2010, 09:11
Air France to create 'provincial bases' in network overhaul (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/11/19/349976/air-france-to-create-provincial-bases-in-network-overhaul.html)

I wonder how this fits with this article.

This seems to indicate Air France mainline but I suppose there are enough other secondary French cities/towns where flybe could operate from.

No Lyon to start with but easy are already based, which might the reason.

Pete

Cyrano
21st Nov 2010, 13:49
No Lyon to start with but easy are already based, which might the reason.

More likely the reason is that AF have a connecting hub operation (http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/network/the-lyon-hub/) in Lyon so timings are based on connecting waves and can't easily be changed into high-utilisation point-to-point patterns.

OltonPete
21st Nov 2010, 15:22
Cyrano

Cheers for the link and the domestic hub does look quite good.

Not sure about international, have they not just lost direct Brit Air
services to Madrid, Munich and Copenhagen? Doesn't seem to mention these
but I am sure they are all via CDG now could be wrong though.

Pete

airhumberside
22nd Nov 2010, 13:49
Yes all three got axed with the start of the winter timetable

redED
22nd Nov 2010, 21:08
Big announcement looming . . .

assymetricdrift
22nd Nov 2010, 22:31
Something in the next couple of days... maybe!

redED
22nd Nov 2010, 23:03
Tomorrow morning . . . maybe!

Rob82
22nd Nov 2010, 23:42
Who knows.....

Maybe the big 42" TV and dvd player that turned up in the crewroom today is just so we can watch the flybe TV commercials over and over again during our pre-flight briefs :ugh:

jetstreamtechrecords
23rd Nov 2010, 07:43
A Stock market listing was in the paper as big announcement coming very soon. shares for staff;)

assymetricdrift
23rd Nov 2010, 07:49
I reckon it's so that we can fill in our Airport Standbys while having Jim talk about "the bigger picture".

Or they have recorded a new video to go with the FlyBE unplugged boarding music. FlyBE Unwired...

big d1
23rd Nov 2010, 13:39
Maybe it is so we can all listen to a message from the "leader" before we all start our days work. Only found out today we have the music back. Death by Flybe unplugged again then.......

Aero Mad
23rd Nov 2010, 13:49
Orwell has obviously failed in his talks with French ;)

Tyreplug
24th Nov 2010, 15:31
I.m going for a takeover of City Jet?!

gearupflapsupshutup
24th Nov 2010, 17:50
Well the website changed... the mother ship in the top left...
With the take over of Cityjet it will involve a namechange:
Air French Connection UK:p

Maverick8701
24th Nov 2010, 18:31
Wouldn't have thought so seem to concentrate on BHX with the exception of BHD-EMA.

BluffOldSeaDog
25th Nov 2010, 09:06
Flybe unplugged = Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd, well at least the first 7minutes is good :)

BOHEuropean
25th Nov 2010, 15:36
Darwin purchased Baboo today, so I guess there goes the rumour of Flybe buying the loss making airline! Could be why no announcement has been made this week...

IJM
25th Nov 2010, 17:26
BluffOldSeaDog - do you not like the guitar solo from Mr Gilmour at the end then?! :ok:

john2408
25th Nov 2010, 20:10
Just been looking at the smart new website for Flybe:cool:

Aero Mad
25th Nov 2010, 20:22
... and the smart new route map where Perpignan disappears :ok:

BluffOldSeaDog
25th Nov 2010, 22:56
IJM - It's OldDog's air guitar that freaks out the FOs, it's just too damn good

BA195Pilot
26th Nov 2010, 22:11
Anyone else heard that flybe is being taken over by air france soon? Floatation doesnt appear to be an option for flybe, but rumoured to be being bought by air france.

TV's are up in every crew room, managers have had huge pay rises, as after the takeover they will not be able to get pay rises?

This all while the pilots are arguing about their own pay!, it would appear that after the takeover the managers will direct balpa to air france for any pay deal, while shrugging their management shoulders saying, nothing we can do.

Nothing being said since the company delayed the announcement this week. And all is quiet I hear in the bases. Its clear that people know at each base. Also that BALPA know what is going on, and I hear as usual the staff are in the dark...

anyone have anymore info?

TURIN
26th Nov 2010, 22:22
Post 871 (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/422214-manchester-8-a-44.html)

Does that tie in with your theory?

Lord Spandex Masher
26th Nov 2010, 22:41
So how would Balpa fare in a head to head with Air France!?

Or will you all have to leave Balpa and join the SNPL? At least the SNPL appear to be proactive.

Who knows, this could be good for the remaining Flybe pilots.

Ransman
27th Nov 2010, 08:38
Only 85% of Flybe for sale, BA already own 15%. What happens there?

airhumberside
27th Nov 2010, 09:41
Newspaper reports regarding the floatation indicated the Walker Family Trust did not want to sell their stake

Mexotag
27th Nov 2010, 12:11
I wonder if the deal will result in a rebranding? AirFrance-Be! But of course, any firm details on whether they are being bought out?

FR-
27th Nov 2010, 12:54
And what % does the walker family trust have at the moment?

airhumberside
27th Nov 2010, 14:34
Walker Family Trust have a 69% stake
BA 15%
Jim French 7%
Employees 9%

Source: Financial Times

I presume therefore any floatation would be to allow BA to sell their stake

Worth noting that when I looked the above info up, the Walker Family Trust only said they initally had no plans to sell their stake - so longer term they may reduce their shareholding

cornishsimon
27th Nov 2010, 22:23
or perhaps BA would buy more !

clareview
28th Nov 2010, 08:51
BA buying more would be the kiss of death - think Brymon, Cityflyer, Manx etc.

BA195Pilot
29th Nov 2010, 00:09
Well, the fact remains that whatever flybe is planning, they are well and truly keeping the pilots and cabin crew at bay.

There seems to be a concerted effort I hear to keep quiet about this announcement. you would think they would just be truthful with their staff, but it sounds like its getting more and more difficult to consider them as an employer.

Their ability to consider their staff day to day is bad enough. Stories of demands from crewing and operations are ripe in that company.

as for any share sale, i dont believe BA will buy any, as a matter of fact, if BA can get any money for its shares, they will sell.

I think the air france deal, may result in ownership of flybe. its explains the stories about management pay rises, and unsecured loans with interest being paid by the company. These loans were to managers so they can buy shares.

If they knew they were going to float, via air france or not. This is nothing other than insider dealing. And I am sure there must be some jail time for that!.

plenty of them could do with a little. As it might remind every airline that the pilots and cabin crew are what allow them to have a job directing operations.

Its time every pilot everywhere, stood up and said...NO, enough is enough. we need to stop getting messed around by these companies. If you cant afford to take a duty of care in your staff, the same way they have a duty of care to the companies passengers, then we should all be striking, everywhere.

I look forward to some replies, and some info on the state of affairs inside this flybe company.

jerboy
29th Nov 2010, 00:17
If (and its a big If) BA were to purchase a higher stake, I really doubt it'd be the death of BE.

Whilst everyone likes to bring up the whole Brymon, Manx & Cityflyer thing, it really isn't a fair comparison. Those airlines were tiny when compared to the likes of BE, and they were facing competition from, well, BE (and its predecessors) and a myriad of other airlines. BE faces relatively little competition on the routes it operates compared to the bad old days.

I think there is perhaps room for BA to purchase a higher stake, and integrate more. But whether it's the right decision at this stage is open for debate.

Nakata77
29th Nov 2010, 01:48
Bournemouth is listed on the website as having service to Glasgow, Endinburgh, Belfast City, Inverness and Isle of Man.

Is this a case of forgetting to remove the 'connection' listings or does it mean that Flybe are close to announcing these services?

Coffin Corner
29th Nov 2010, 08:30
I just can't see BA wanting any more shares, why would they? We are worth nothing to BA's business model at all and do not fit in anywhere. They only requested 15% of Flybe during the BACon takeover because they could get something out of offloading it's loss making subsidiary without doing alot in return. Now it is time for BA to cash in.

The only real value we have to BA is the LGW slots, but who knows the future of BA at LGW?

virginblue
29th Nov 2010, 11:49
Not sure why Air France would be interested in buying Flybe. They are interested in feed to AMS, CDG and LYS, and when push comes to shove, they have Cityjet and the ex Air UK arm of KLM cityhopper to provide that feed. Don't see what Flybe would add to that other than domestic flights in the UK and a LCC-style operation to French regional airports - competition which probably does not warrant buying flybe as Air France was never interested in that type of service. If Air France can add some-code shares on the few hub-services by Flybe as they have already done, that's fine - but other than that I do not see the point buying Flybe. After all, Air France already has a motley collection of regional subsidiaries for all kinds of purposes (Régional, Brit Air, KLM cityhopper, Cityjet, VLM etc.).

Haven't a clue
29th Nov 2010, 12:15
Air France already has a motley collection of regional subsidiaries for all kinds of purposes (Régional, Brit Air, KLM cityhopper, Cityjet, VLM etc.).

And FlyBe have the expertise and experience to rationalise such operations and make them profitable, a la BAConnect.

BA195Pilot
29th Nov 2010, 13:41
user virginblue makes a point.

you list that air france would not have any use or interest in flybe. but you contradict yourself in your statement, saying that air france doesnt want any regional airlines, and then proceed to reel off a long list of airlines they purchased that can only survive on regional, and small city business.

I think you should look closer at the monopoly that any airline would have in the UK should they purchase, and possibly re-brand that company.

Statistics from CAA show that FLYBE is the 3rd largest employer of Pilots and Cabin crew with about 7.5 million passengers, mainly business. A nice money spinner.

the main question I hear everyone asking in our crew room, is what is that company up to next.

Any ideas around the UK network?

EGTE
29th Nov 2010, 14:00
Why does anyone imagine that that the staff will be told anything at all before a Stock Market announcement (or whatever)? As with all these types of business deals the staff will be the last to be told.

virginblue
29th Nov 2010, 14:23
you list that air france would not have any use or interest in flybe. but you contradict yourself in your statement, saying that air france doesnt want any regional airlines, and then proceed to reel off a long list of airlines they purchased that can only survive on regional, and small city business.

Air France has regional airlines to provide French domestic services and CDG/LYS feed from European destinations (Brit Air, Régional), to provide AMS feed (KLM cityhopper), to provide feed from the UK/Ireland (Cityjet) and to serve LCY (Cityjet/VLM). Where exactly into that picture fits Flybe? If some more feed from the UK to CDG is needed, this can easily be done by Brit Air, Régional or Cityjet, you do not need an additional airline for that. So the only reason why Air France would be interested is either Flybe'e UK domestic services or Flybe's operation to French regional airports from the UK. But why should they be? Air France has systematically cut back almost all flights from the regions and routes almost all traffic via LYS and PAR (ironically, Brit Air was founded in the 1970s as a carrier to serve the UK from regional airports in western france). And I do not really see them as the big player on the UK domestic market. What remains? They could use Flybe as a bargaining chip against trade unions, but for that purpose they already have Cityjet. And finally it could be a preemptive move to keep Flybe away from setting up shop in France with bases. Not the most likely scenario.

BA195Pilot
29th Nov 2010, 16:15
just spoke to someone in flybe, apparently their CEO has put a note up on the crew room walls a while back saying the staff would be the first to know, and that there was NO plan to float the company.

Maverick8701
29th Nov 2010, 17:31
It never said there will no be float it didn't really say anything apart from if there is anything to tell the staff will be the first to know.

Otto Throttle
29th Nov 2010, 19:26
There is every intention to float the company - it has been a well known fact of the company strategy for many years and JF has stated this many times.

However, no flotation will take place until the necessary conditions to attract investors into the market prevail. There has recently been a move in this direction with a number of recent small flotations, but as the poster above states, the problems with the Irish economic bailout and the worries over Portugal and Spain have knocked investor confidence. Once again, I suspect the float has been put on hold.

jetstreamtechrecords
30th Nov 2010, 07:14
Airline Flybe plans £60 million London listing

Print
Companies:BRITISH AIRWAYSEurope
Topics:Director DealingsNew Issues (IPOs)International
Related Quotes
Symbol Price Change
BABWF.PK 4.50 0.00

^REURTRUSD 1,736.45 0.00

7:42, Tuesday 30 November 2010
LONDON (Reuters) - Budget airline Flybe plans to raise 60 million pounds through a London initial public offering (IPO) in December, the company said on Tuesday.

Flybe said it would use half of the proceeds of the offering, which will be made up of new shares, to fund its aircraft fleet expansion, and the other half to strengthen its cash position.

"A listing will assist Flybe in achieving the next stage in its exciting strategy for growth," the airline's chief executive Jim French said in a statement.

British Airways (BABWF.PK - news) said it planned to subscribe for enough shares in the offer to maintain its existing 15 percent stake in Flybe.

Flybe acquired BA Connect, the former regional airline business of British Airways, in 2007, making it Europe (news) 's largest regional airline.

The carrier, which focuses on niche UK routes, has tried to float several times but has been forced to shelve plans because of tough market conditions.

"We are delighted to participate in the Flybe IPO," BA Chief Executive Willie Walsh said in a statement.

"We are committed to supporting Flybe in its listing and capital raising."

Bank of America Merrill Lynch is the sole global coordinator and bookrunner on the offer.

Hudson Bay
30th Nov 2010, 08:26
Flybe to float early 2011.
Employees cashing in and BA to buy 15 percent with Air France.
Jim French to pocket 5million.
All to aid expansion.

Captivep
30th Nov 2010, 08:34
I thought BA already owned 15%.

BarbiesBoyfriend
30th Nov 2010, 08:38
Correct.

BA swopped BAConnect for 15% of BE's stock when they float.

Therefore.......kerchiiiiing! for BA.

WHBM
30th Nov 2010, 08:39
The press release, as I read it, does not say anything about Air France buying any shares. It does say that BA and AF both codeshare with Flybe, and then goes on to say that BA will buy additional shares from those now newly offered, to maintain a 15% overall ownership.

How many Embraers do you get for £60m, in comarison to the current total fleet size ? I would have thought not a great percentage fleet increase.

Deano777
30th Nov 2010, 08:41
Hudson Bay

Where is your source?

Jabiman
30th Nov 2010, 08:47
UPDATE: Flybe To List On London Stock Exchange With GBP60M Float - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101130-702324.html)

Flybe Group To Float On Stock Exchange - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20101130/tbs-flybe-group-to-float-on-stock-exchan-327c223.html)

Cyrano
30th Nov 2010, 08:59
Flybe official Intention to Float document is here. (http://www.flybe.com/corporate/investors/intention_to_float.htm)

Hudson Bay: there is no reference to an AF shareholding in this, only to BA maintaining a 15% shareholding.

aeulad
30th Nov 2010, 13:48
Says in Humberside thread that BE are to considerably increase their offerings from HUY next summer.

Anyone have any info on this?

Regards

Mike

fredtheanorak
30th Nov 2010, 17:19
Says in Humberside thread that BE are to considerably increase their offerings from HUY next summer.

Its called parking your tanks on Eastern's lawn. Bit like North Korea shelling the South and saying whatll you :mad: do about that pal?

pug
30th Nov 2010, 17:28
I dont suppose Eastern would be bothered if the rumour is true, so long as BE dont encroach on the ABZ route.

Richard Taylor
30th Nov 2010, 18:13
eastern have so few routes ex HUY I don't suppose they'll be bothered. And I can't see Flybe trying ABZ...insufficient demand for a Saab340, never mind a DH8D. Flybe didn't manage to oust T3 in their half-hearted attempts at SOU & ncl routes to ABZ previously.

ukts
1st Dec 2010, 07:12
Hi guys, saw this on the BBC:

Exeter-based regional airline Flybe says it plans to issue £60m in new shares and join the stock market.

The operator, which has the most domestic UK routes of any airline, says this will help it to expand.

BA, which along with Air France operates code-share routes with Flybe, says it plans to maintain its 15% stake in the company.

The airline started out in 1979 as Jersey European Airways, eventually renaming itself Flybe in 2002.

It acquired British Airways' UK internal flights subsidiary - BA Connect - in 2007, and is now seeking to roll out its "regional" business model across the rest of Europe.

It specialises in short-hop flights, lasting one hour or less, and using smaller aircraft than its rivals.

Flybe's chairman, Jim French, said at the time of its last profit figures in September that it was "one of only three major European airlines that have reported profits throughout the recession".

Hudson Bay
2nd Dec 2010, 19:45
In the paper today that the float is off!

Tonyq
2nd Dec 2010, 19:57
Which 'paper' would that be then?

Tyreplug
4th Dec 2010, 09:50
Got forms through today for sale or retention of my shares - so I think the flotation is of course still on. What a nice 'windfall'. Wonder if any ex BA Connect staff get any?

Burpbot
4th Dec 2010, 17:54
Tyreplug, that would be a not yet from what people are saying. Maybe they will include it in the pay deal :O

G-FLYB
4th Dec 2010, 23:20
Wonder if any ex BA Connect staff get any?

No, they don't have any. :{

BellyAir
5th Dec 2010, 09:59
Flew on Flybe yesterday, Guernsey to Southampton.

Fog at Sou meant we circled for an hour and a half.

The Captain said that we were off to Exeter (no fog) to refuel and return to SOU.

Upon arrival at EXE the baggage handlers immediately start unloading bags and when asked, the cabin crew stated they didn't know what was happening through a smirk.

Why did the captain and cabin crew have to lie?

They had tried to get into SOU and if they had said that we were to be offloaded at EXE and transferred to SOU by coach no one could complain.

Instead we were herded into the terminal and left feeling duped when the ground staff told us the news.

I think it's a bloody disgrace the captain and cabin crew lied.

Is it SOP on Flybe?

The96er
5th Dec 2010, 10:03
I think it's a bloody disgrace the captain and cabin crew lied

Quite common I'm afraid. Lots of crews seem to think it should be the responsibility of the ground staff to take all the flak :suspect:

Aero Mad
5th Dec 2010, 11:38
I know it really isn't a source, but does anyone know why flyBe is listed as starting Sumburgh flights out of Manston on May 27th on Wikipedia?

big d1
5th Dec 2010, 11:49
Maybe Loganair?

Cloud Chaser
5th Dec 2010, 13:07
Since when has anything on wikipedia been accurate???

Aero Mad
5th Dec 2010, 16:48
CC, I made the effort to put really in bold, italics and underline it for a reason :D

NorthernCounties
5th Dec 2010, 17:02
Since when has anything on wikipedia been accurate???
Now, now, the many times I've trawled through it to try and ensure accuracy! But it makes you want to :ugh:

Tyreplug
6th Dec 2010, 09:03
BELLYAIR

Wingowango is quite correct. This sort of scenario unfortunately occurs from time to time. The flight deck expect a certain plan and explain it to the passengers. On arrival they hear the cringeworthy news that the plan has been changed by ops (for whatever reason). I suspect that the cabin crew were cringing rather than smirking, maybe having learnt of the change of plan.

Skipness One Echo
6th Dec 2010, 09:40
why flyBe is listed as starting Sumburgh flights out of Manston on May 27th on Wikipedia?

If they are operating to EDI from MSE then it will be one stop connection with Loganair.

ifu05596
9th Dec 2010, 07:02
Anyone know what the increase in activity at Benbecula is all about? Flights to Inverness and Aberdeen (both via SYY) yesterday and one to Glasgow all with LOG flight numbers not scheduled passanger services with BE flight codes. Assuming Inv via Syy was just normal mail freight but what were the rest?

AvWRup
9th Dec 2010, 09:30
Are the pilots shooting themselves in the foot by threatening strike action?

They will benefit from stronger pricing when Flybe's shares float on the LSE, but they're weakening that opportunity by threatening to strike literally days before Flybe floats.

Is this a strategic move? What's going on here?

Flybe pilots threaten to strike as the airline prepares to float (http://bit.ly/e0Cxc9)

Calmcavok
9th Dec 2010, 13:40
I would suggest that considerably less than 50% of the pilots have shares. Definately a tactical move and the right one IMHO. the stock will not be permanently affected but it will hopefully concentrate minds in EXT where they have been ignoring BALPA, making false promises and pussy footing around for far too long. Pilots with or without shares appear to be united at Flybe, behind BALPA.

jetstreamtechrecords
10th Dec 2010, 17:56
Certainly seams to have had an efect. FlyBe shares were priced at the bottom of the expected range it says in the Daily mail.:ooh:

pug
10th Dec 2010, 18:00
Anyone heard anything about rumours of BE's HUY summer schedule for 2011? A rumour had been posted on another forum suggesting they would increase their Spannish destinations next year on w patterns from other bases.

mad_bob
11th Dec 2010, 10:05
Bloomberg suggested the price would be between 285p and 385p. As it happened they opened at 295p and closed yesterday at 341p..... so much for the Daily Mail....

ara01jbb
11th Dec 2010, 12:40
Values BE at ~ £215m.

Guardian reports Jim French as being "very pleased" (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/10/flybe-airline-industry-travel) although presumably not at the pic of a 146 on the online article, nor the statement that "the airline operates from smaller airports such as London City" :}

Haven't a clue
16th Dec 2010, 13:24
Interesting article on Bloomberg here:

Flybe Chief Plots European Expansion After IPO Backed by Soros Investment - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-16/flybe-chief-plots-european-expansion-after-ipo-backed-by-soros-investment.html)

Jim French says initial 35 E175s will be used to replace Q400s over the next 6 years.

RJ100
16th Dec 2010, 14:44
Flybe's latest baggage con!...
No longer able to book baggage one way, only return at prices that seem to go up each week. :mad:

Why advertise a price for baggage each way when you can only book return. When we booked the ticket you were able to book the bag oneway, but no longer! :=
I now regard Flybe as no better than Ryanair with the constant changing rules and prices. I choose not to fly RY, so I will stop flying Flybe.

Tonyq
16th Dec 2010, 15:38
Someone pointed this con out to me a few days ago.

You can circumvent it by booking two singles.

Tonyq
16th Dec 2010, 15:41
The Bloomberg article is a bit contradictory. How will the fleet grow from current 70 odd now, to 110 by 2015, if the 35 incoming 175's all replace Q400's.

Haven't a clue
16th Dec 2010, 16:06
Booking two singles also allows you to change your return online (if you need to) without having to call the Call Centre and pay the extra charge for speaking to a human.

Re Bloomberg article - I think the future fleet numbers might reflect the take up of options. Whatever it is seriously positive for FlyBe.

Cloud1
16th Dec 2010, 17:55
RJ100 - not a con, a problem with their website which is still under investigation with IT. You need to call reservations to book one way bag and they will honour online rate......

manx crab
16th Dec 2010, 18:17
Well they would not when I rang last Sunday!!. :{

Just said the policy had changed and if I wanted to book a one way bag it would be £17.99

See they have put the price up £1 a sector since Sunday as well for 15kg bag:mad:

darren1
16th Dec 2010, 18:45
Phoning reservations costs 10p per minute so they can afford to honour online prices as the phone call will take forever to complete

Cloud1
16th Dec 2010, 22:41
Thats a load of rubbish I am afraid, if you call at the right time (IE not during a peak period of the day such as lunch time) then the call will take very little time and little cost.

Sorry Manx crab cant help you then - maybe you should contact their complaints team or instead next time you call reservations speak to a manager. But if you dont want to take my word for it, so be it

On a slightly more positive note, with BE securing the additional funding is there anymore word on the expansion plans. Which airlines they are looking at?? It seems they will offer feeder routes to the flag carriers so are we looking at KLM, SAS, LH, AY - any others? IB maybe?? they are linked in with BA who own a small stake

manx crab
17th Dec 2010, 15:15
Well Cloud1,whilst what you say may be true, I can only relay what your call centre says and you should not have to speak to a manager every time you ring up.

It wasn't essential for me to take luggage so I will just take max size hand luggage and Flybe will be £10.99 poorer and will just book singles in future:O.

Cloud1
17th Dec 2010, 16:22
It's not my call centre - although you are quite right Manx Crab that you shouldnt have to ask for a Manager everytime you call but it could be that it was a new member of staff.... I really dont know. What I would do if you come across it in the future is ask for the Manager rather than grumble about it on an online forum (not suggesting you have personally but others have - people allegedly working in the aviation sector).

Having said all that hopefully that wont be the case (excuse the pun) and soon you will be able to get things booked as you wish without the need to make any calls at all :ok:

If you wish to book singles in the meantime thats fine, but just bear in mind that they wouldnt be legally obliged as far as I know to change your return flight free if your outward flight was disrupted something which at the moment is rather beneficial! So there are pro's and con's of flying on two single tickets rather than a return

oapilot
21st Dec 2010, 08:07
not a con, a problem with their website which is still under investigation with IT.

Perhaps a note on the booking page to say that "there is currently a technical problem with the site and passengers wishing to book luggage one way should contact the call centre direct" would be a fairer solution. Sadly, most pax will grudgingly cough up the extra cash, so a nice ancilliary revenue stream?

I'm guessing that the problem is widely known amongst the centres staff and they really should have been briefed as to the correct course of action, including and especially new joiners. Ho hum.

Flybe do so many things well, including sadly these days, maximum revenue extraction.

Manx Crab - please pay attention - this is a public forum to discuss all things Flybe, NOT a place to air your dissatisfaction with service issues :eek: Best just meekly accept and not mention it to anyone, there's a good chap.....

GROUNDHOG
21st Dec 2010, 09:35
I just booked a couple more round trip seats with Flybe NQY/LGW and despite what is called revenue extraction they were still cheaper than the opposition on this route and always seem to be.

Nobody is perfect. I really like Flybe, the aircraft, the crews, the reliability and as Fascinating Aida sing ( Youtube) there is no such thing as cheap flights for 50p!

chrystall
23rd Dec 2010, 20:51
that fascinating aida clip is a classic!:D

TechProblem
27th Dec 2010, 20:19
Re the charge of a bag for both ways.... isn't this making it easier for the booking passenger?

It seems so to me.
If I take a bag out, im quiet sure ill be bringing it back, if I book a return sector at the same time, no?

They have made it simpler thats all, for most people..... :rolleyes:

TP

Skipness One Echo
9th Jan 2011, 02:12
Can someone confirm :

56 delivered straight from Bombardier to date.
4 to come in 2011 making a total of 60 new frames delivered and in service.

Also
G-PTHA/ B/C were to have originally been G-FLBF/G/H but have since gone to Olympic for good?

Two ex Wideroe remain in service to be replaced by newbies in the spring deliveries. Is that about right?

Tonyq
9th Jan 2011, 08:46
Jethro's have G-FLBF/G/H/J as due in 2011 (G-FLBI is already issued to someone else)

You have overlooked G-JECV/W which left the fleet for Olympic and according to BE financials they were sold to them, are now on the Greek register, so presumably left permanently.

Like you, I assume the two ex-Wideroe's will go in the next few months, and there has been mention from within BE and elsewhere of G-JEDI leaving too, beginning the disposal of the oldest frames which are approaching 10 years.

However, I guess that with talk of takeovers, deals in Finland, and ambitions for provide feeder services elsewhere in Europe, precise numbers are bit fluid and they have to have some fleet flexibility.

Then you've got the E175's starting to flowin 2011, which will impact the Q400 fleet too................

DaveHardy
9th Jan 2011, 09:58
Doe anyone know what callsign they use on the delivery flights?

Or do they use the reg number?

Thanks loads, Dave.

AP1995
9th Jan 2011, 10:42
any new routes from leeds with flybe?

Flyer2007
9th Jan 2011, 18:53
From what I've heard, there will be 4 Q400 deliveries this year, with one of these replacing G-JEDI which is due to be returned to the lessor when its lease is up.

The first Embraer 175 is meant to be delivered in June and destined for GCI as a Q400 replacement, yet this still isn't confirmed. Of course I stand to be corrected.

With regards to new routes from LBA, who knows, the commercial department are still working on the complete summer programme and thus where the new Q400s will be based. Hope this helps :ok:

Gaza
11th Jan 2011, 16:55
BE861 11 Jan - SOU to MAN.

Normally a 195 but on boarding (on time) notice it is a DH8 (G-JEDV). Obviously not a last minute switch as no issues with BPs at the gate.

The aircraft was almost full with only 3 empty seats. Our departure time of 07:10 came and went with no announcement by cabin crew or flightdeck. Eventually at 07:20 the Captain told us that due to a combination of “modifications” to the aircraft, the weather (it was raining but nothing out of the ordinary) and the short runway at Southampton we were over MTOW. Judging by the murmurings of fellow passengers I don’t think that I was the only one who was astounded that an aircraft operating out of one the airlines main bases, on a short internal flight, was unable to take-off with a full load of passengers.

Over the next 35 minutes various people (dispatchers, loaders, etc) came and went from the cockpit. Eventually the captain told us the caterers would be coming to remove the catering trolleys and this would get us below weight. Shortly after the catering was removed the doors were closed and we departed an hour late.

On arrival at Manchester I joined the other passengers at baggage reclaim and waited for my luggage. A small number of bags came off and then the information board displayed “Baggage Delivery Complete”.

At that moment the penny dropped. They had removed most of the luggage to bring the aircraft below MTOW. At no time did anyone inform the pax they were doing this. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Like many of my fellow passengers I had business papers and other work that I needed for the day in my hold luggage. The only reason I do this is due to the zealousness with which the check-in agents at Southampton enforce the 10kg hand baggage allowance. I used to use a roll-along “Pilot” style briefcase that fitted in the sizers, but having to prove every week that it fitted and then being told to remove items because it was overweight (by 1-2 kgs), I eventually gave up and started carrying a smaller rucksack and putting items in my hold luggage.

I've made in excess of 120 flights on BE over the past 2 years. During that time I've played musical chairs so they can get the trim right. I've also had occurence where pax have been asked to put their hand luggage in to the hold to help with trim. However, this is the worst example. Is the Q400 so sensitive that it can't fly with a full load of pax on a short domestic hop?

One crumb of comfort is that I've just had a text saying my bag is being delivered to my hotel this evening. This saves me a trip to the Trafford Centre to get some clothes for tomorrow although with the £25 compo that BE would give me I wouldn't get much!

Coffin Corner
11th Jan 2011, 17:08
This is right Gaza

It would have been a landing weight restriction as to why things were offloaded. The max landing weight of the Q400 is 28,009kg. If you were nearly full, with lots of bags etc then you could have been close to the max take-off weight of 28,998kg. The trip fuel between MAN & SOU can be as little as 800kg meaning an overweight landing. Factor in SOU's short runway and icing conditions the regulated landing weight could be alot less than 28,009kg. Something has to give, generally it is positioning crew first, followed by bags. They could have offloaded pax, so it isn't all bad. Just one of those things.

mathers_wales_uk
11th Jan 2011, 17:24
The reason the aircraft was over it's max take-off weight was only due to the runway length at Southampton i imagine.

Basically the heavier the aircraft the longer it takes to take-off. Also if the runway conditions were damp/wet, windspeed, obstacles on take-off climb-out can all add ore reduce the max take-off weight.

Other issues is that if fuel was allready placed on the aircraft for round/trip or possible the weather at destination not expected to be good therefore extra holding & diversion fuel. This may have all been done before the final passenger/bag weight was provided adding to the aircraft being overweight.

On domestic lo-cost scheduled flights it is very difficult to calculate bags per passenger ratio sometimes it's 1 bag in every 5 passenger and on the odd day it can be one bag per passenger roughly.

In regards to trim issues and being moved about. Weight and balance of the a/c is like a see-saw. The main landing gear is approx the central pivet in this see-saw. As you look at the Dash 8-Q400 aircraft it is naturally sloaping upwards from front to back. This means that the plane is naturally nose heavy. Or trim is Foreward when empty. The issue is that naturally passengers choose to sit closer to the front and maybe a habit for reserving seats together towards the front after being stung by free-seating airlines. It is ideal for passengers to be sat 1/3 in the front and 2/3 in the back of the aircraft.

In an ideal world if the aircraft is out of trim then any seat changes can be made at the gate. However with a check-in closure time of -20 to STD this can become difficult at times. So people who haven't paid to select their seat unfortunatly are the first to be moved.

There is another issue in the equasion that sometimes the paperwork and trim is perfectly legal when the paperwork is handed to the Captain. However he/she may feel that it is too close to the limit and some passengers are required to move to ensure a better trim. Sometimes passengers also get moved because others have not sat in their allocated seats which are stated on their boarding cards.

Albert Hall
11th Jan 2011, 17:32
Never mind. I am sure passengers were no more baffled by that than the regular pre-departure announcements that the aircraft are "trim sensitive". Two Flybe flights last week and the different passenger sitting next to me on each one asked me if I knew what "trim sensitive" meant. One crew member overheard and very polite though she was, didn't understand enough herself to be able to explain it in layman's terms to the poor confused chap sitting beside me.

G-FLYB
11th Jan 2011, 17:33
Hi Gaza
Just for clarity,
Icing conditions are deemed to exist, for departure, when the temperature is below 10ºC and below 5ºC for landing.
The crew have no option (or desire) to operate the aircraft outside its limitations and sometimes it is necessary to make adjustments to achieve this. Of course, the crew are unlikely to know this until presented with the loadsheet.

Gaza
11th Jan 2011, 20:46
Thanks for the informative responses.

I'd like to point out that I am not criticising he crew for not "getting on with it" and ignoring the limitations. My main critisism is with the aircraft itself in that for something whose "bread and butter" is regional operations it should be able to handle a wide variety of situations.

The only thing I will critisise the crew for is not telling us the luggage had been offloaded. If I knew that was happening I would probably have got off and taken the train instead. That way I'd have been able to work and not lost a dyas work.

Coffin Corner - The captain definatley said overweigh for takeoff.

mathers_wales_uk - I'd be surprised if they don't know with a high degree of certainty how may bags will be on a flight. After all most pax book bags in advance to avoid the high charges at the airport.

WRT to seats the BE online check-in engine seems to be quite good at distributing the load. It only makes available certain seats for pre-allocation and seems to allocate most seats at the rear.

aidoair
11th Jan 2011, 20:57
The only thing I will critisise the crew for is not telling us the luggage had been offloaded. If I knew that was happening I would probably have got off and taken the train instead. That way I'd have been able to work and not lost a dyas work.

Unfortunately, the majority of the time, in these situations the crew will not pass this information on to the passengers. There's many reasons why they don't do it although it is very unfair (mainly because it can cause tension/upset in the cabin during the flight). It is then left to the ground crew/handling agents to inform the passengers that your bags are not there... bearing in mind the handling agents will most likely not know why either and will usually only know at the same time as you.

mathers_wales_uk
11th Jan 2011, 20:58
I have to agree that not informing you an your fellow passengers that your bags have been left behind was wrong. I am suprised that there wasn't a nosey passenger on board that spotted the bags coming off the aircraft.

I have been in similar case in the past where the crew have decided not to inform passengers at the other end or during flight in case they kick up a fuss and actually leave the handling agents the other end to break the news.

Yes passengers book bags in advanced however it is in individual passengers reservations as then they have the option to check-in the bag or not. It is not practical to go through all passengers individual reservations for every flight and work out if their male, female, child and if they have any bags booked.

Once the passengers check-in the system automatically breaks the passengers into Males, Females, Children & Infants including the number of bags checked-in in the system.

IOMspotter
11th Jan 2011, 21:30
sounds to me like the problem wasnt icing but just that the runway was wet which increases take off distances and stopping distances cos the brakes dont work so well in the wet, just like on my mini:ooh:. So MTOW is fine on dry but cant be achieved when wet wet wet.:{

Flyer2007
11th Jan 2011, 22:54
Hi Gaza,

I certainly appreciate your frustration having your bag left behind, it is incredibly annoying.

Hopefully this might answer your query. I suspect, like the Captain mentioned and you have passed on, that the aircraft was over MTOM, more specifically in this case the RTOM (Regulated Takeoff Mass). Whilst with a full load of passengers, sufficient fuel and baggage you wouldn't expect this to be an issue for an aircraft at an airline's main base, however, in icing conditions for the Q400 it can become a problem.

For clarity Icing conditions exist on the ground and for takeoff when the Static air temperature is 10 degrees celcius or below and visible moisture is present or visibility less than 1600m (Fog). As you mentioned it was raining, this coupled with a temperature which is likely to be below 10 degrees at this time of year meant that an Icing departure would be required.

For the Q400 this means our Propeller Anti icing equipment is on for takeoff, which takes away power from the aircraft's engines and therefore degrades the aircraft performance. This isn't particularly noticeable with two engines operating, but all performance is calculated on the assumption of an engine failure. The level degradation in performance depends on many factors, such as wind direction, Pressure, temperature, runway length, up or down slope, airport elevation etc. I have seen an icing departure reduce the MTOM by over 2000kgs in some instances which as you can see leads to quite an issue for a full aircraft which was already close to the aircraft MTOM of 28998kg. Southampton is a relatively short runway therefore performance losses are very likely, Gatwick or Manchester there are likely to be no issues.

The runway being wet itself would not have decreased the MTOM, it would have simply reduced V1, this is the speed at which if we have an engine failure, we must continue the takeoff.

In terms of leaving bags behind, this is frustrating and is something which rarely happens. A combination of factors could lead to this: A full passenger load, icing departure, high required fuel (SOU - MAN is a short hop, however the fuel uplifted will depend not only on the actual weather conditions, but also the forecast weather conditions, so if MAN and diversion airfields were forecasting poor weather such as Fog, then the fuel carried can be quite a lot more than just required to get to Manchester) and unusually high number of bags. Whilst I don't want to be making excuses, I'm just trying to explain how a number of factors can lead to bags being left behind. Why this wasn't communicated is something I can't comment on due to not being there.

I hope this helps a little bit. :ok:

Ph1l1pncl
12th Jan 2011, 00:32
Flyer 2007

Your response was very informative and detailed, and i realise that extra fuel is required for diversions etc. But can fuel just not be taken off the aircraft, obviously leaving enough for eventualities? Or enough to reduce the aircrafts weight to fit in with the limitations and just have a fuel stop en-route if needs be?

As from the publics perspective it is stupid to swap an aircraft for a aircraft which is potentially always going to have this problem in Southampton during the winters months? Obviously their could be operational requirements whilst this is done, but surely Flybe should know this.

As this problem about aircraft weight was also documented in the news today, except with a different airline and at a different airport. As for the tension and upset of course it is going to happen, but passengers should have a right to know that bags are getting removed. From working on a ground operations role, i have had to deal with this situation and we do not get given much inforation why it has happened. Having to tell a passenger that their dialysis machine was removed for weight issues does not bode well.

Gaza
12th Jan 2011, 09:49
Flyer2007 - Excellent response. :D:D Thank you. :ok::ok:

The captain did refer to "modifications" on that particular aircraft (G-JEDV) that were a contributing factor.

The good news was that as I walked in to the hotel last night to check-in the courier was dropping my bag off with the porter so thankfully I didn't have to visit the Trafford Centre! :}

mathers_wales_uk
12th Jan 2011, 10:02
The issue of bags being left behind used to happen weekly on a Boeing 737-800 operated by XL Airways from Cardiff to Sharm el Sheikh.

Approx 50 bags used to be left behind every week however passengers never knew of this and had actually been lied to guranteeing that all bags were all loaded after a passenger spotted bags being removed from aircraft.

Bags would be taken by courrier and loaded on to another flight from London arriving at Sharm el Sheik 2 days later.

Reason given was to load more fuel however Thomson Airways operate Cardiff-Sharm el Sheikh with no such issues. So not sure if it's dependent on engine type or if the XL aircraft had no winglets.

Gaza

If the incident referring to you in the paper is the Easyjet one at Birmingham then that was an allmighty cock-up of another sort especially to over fill the aircraft with fuel.

Ph1l1pncl

Fuel can only be removed from an aircraft if there is a empty fuel bowser available. They cannot offload fuel and put it back into the bowser as all the fuel will then be contaminated.

However i am not sure if this is possible on all aircraft as some are over wign refuelling and others are under wing refuelling. Last request i had for this was on a Boeing 777-200 but it was too complicated and time consuming to do so in the end it was agreed with the Captain and Fuel bowser not to proceed.

Flyer2007
12th Jan 2011, 10:40
Gaza,

I'm glad you got bag in time, whilst clearly not ideal, I'm pleased to see they got your bag to you quickly, it does save trekking around the Old Trafford Centre :O. Glad it cleared things up, I know as a passenger you can sometimes think "how is this possible?" but when the holes in the swiss cheese line up unusual issues can occur. On occasion only with a long explanation can fully explain what's happening and why. For most passengers this long explanation would be baffling, therefore the simple reason is normally given, often followed by passenger's pulling funny face's and thinking its all "rather ridiculous and that BA wouldn't have this problem". :}

Ph1l1pncl

As WingoWango mentioned taking off the extra fuel would unfortunately defeat the object of carrying the extra fuel in case of diversion. If for example they were unable to land in MAN and needed to divert, but didn't have sufficient fuel, the situation would be a whole lot worse, dire in fact. As an example a few weeks back our diversion fuel was considerably greater than our trip fuel (fuel that would be burned between our original departure and arrival airport) due to the fact that most of the UK had fog forecast for the best part of the day. So hopefully you can see that a route that may only burn 800kg's of fuel en route may actually require something close to 2500/3000kg onboard, if the weather or other factors dictate.

As others have also brought up, the question of mentioning the bags is difficult. It can lead to outrage amongst the passengers, demanding whose bag will make it, whose won't and why should the person next to them get their bag and not them? Consuming more time than if some were taken off and put on the next flight two hours later. It's a tough call to honest. :ok:

Gaza
13th Jan 2011, 11:06
Something strange is happening on this thread. Yesterday and today I have notifications of replies (and what they contain) but by the time I open the thread they are gone. :confused::confused:

Yesterday's post gave a view on what the modifications were and today's expressed a view on why it may have been overweight.

Have these posts been deleted by the mods?

Ian Brooks
13th Jan 2011, 11:13
Hi Gaza
is that the one from flyer 2007, if so it is still there

Ian B

Gaza
13th Jan 2011, 11:29
Ian

I can see that post but there were at least 2 others that seemed to have ben posted but are no longer there. I have the names of the posters on the email notfications along with what they posted but they are not on this thread.

RVF750
13th Jan 2011, 12:00
Some things are posted on here by people who then realise it's against company policy or just risks getting themselves in trouble saying it. Mentioning specifics of aircraft mods is not very clever to do, even though you might think it's relevant.

Some aircraft types have non-structural fiaring parts that are made of lightweight fibreglass and in places where you wouldn't think they'd make a difference. Spares are not always kept and thus occasionally you'll see a gap and bit of light green paint on the back of bulges or fairings on wing trailing edges or undercarriage legs, etc. The original part may have cracked and been removed and something called a configuration deviation List is carried in aircraft manuals to allow operation in these cases while the new parts are painted up and sent out to meet up with the aircraft asomewhere where they and engineers co-incide.

Happens for all types and companies. Some of these pieces actually cause a significant penalty as the drag increases. Hence the weight reduction for performance. Actually giving details for a particular company or aircraft type is not best practice- as it changes from time to time and is calculated when required. You just need to know it happens and is cheaper and less annoying than grounding the aircraft and cancelling your flight.

I hate leaving bags behind. However, it's better than leaving passengers or finding yourself running low on fuel with nowhere to land.....

BKS Air Transport
14th Jan 2011, 08:57
Depends on your circumstances and the reason you are travelling. I can think of a number of reasons why it might be better not to travel if your baggage has been offloaded, indeed your baggage may contain items which are vital to your trip. With bar coded baggage tags it would take only a couple of minutes to identify which passengers have had their baggage offloaded, and to tell them so that they at least have the option of not travelling if they wish.

Gaza
14th Jan 2011, 09:47
Indeed. As I said at the start my bag had papers and books in it that I needed for the day. Other passengers were in the same position with some having put their laptops in their bags. People are forced to do this due to he business-traveller-unfriendly policies adopted by FlyBe. I would guess that a substantial number of pax on routes such as SOU-MAN are business travellers so some recognition of this would not go amiss. Easyjet mange to have very business traveller friendly policies so it would be good to see BE do the same.

Cloud1
14th Jan 2011, 22:46
Gaza, could you clarify just how Flybe adopt an unfair approach to the business traveller which by coincidence is their main market?

As far as I see it, passengers in economy and economy plus may carry a piece of hand baggage that fits within a certain size. The bag itself is still big enough to accomodate more than a laptop but when travelling on the latter ticket you get to carry that in addition to the laptop. Any person that checks a laptop in to hold baggage is asking for trouble in my opinion.

As it happens if customers follow their restrictions and conditions you will find Flybe offer a far more superior business package to passengers over EasyJet. Look at Business Express, Economy Plus, Rewards4all, business lounges etc. Its all about reading the restrictions on the ticket and adhering to them.

G-FLYB
14th Jan 2011, 23:47
Cloud1
Actually, it's about us listening to the business passengers needs and adapting to accommodate as many of these as possible, without jeopardising the aircraft safety or our business model. Of course, passengers need to know the rules but...

They pay our wages :)

Economically it is better business practice to off load pax.

500kgs = 5 x pax + 5 x bags (approx) and equals 5 x pissed off pax

500kgs = 40 bags and equals 40 pissed off pax

Cloud1
15th Jan 2011, 00:54
G-FLYB -I am confused....and I shall explain why. I have not queried any of the offloading issues, nor have I questioned safety, nor indeed have I mentioned anything about how these customers pay our wages.....so not sure which route you are going with that. It did sound slightly patronising but I dont expect it was meant to sound that way?

Whilst I agree any company should take onboard passenger feedback I find it incredibly hard to believe that each passenger will agree that the baggage restrictions prevent or make business travel difficult. All I am saying is compared to EasyJet which Gaza used as an example Flybe operate a much more superior business product. I am simply asking for clarification as to which aspect of the baggage model is unfair to business travellers....:ok:

G-FLYB
15th Jan 2011, 21:29
Sorry Cloudy, and thanks for the benefit of the doubt. I didn't phrase it very well - did I?
What I meant was we should accommodate the pax when we can and as you say, within the rules specified.
Thereafter, we should offload pax, not bags - otherwise we upset more pax (who pay our wages), which we don't want to do.

cornishsimon
16th Jan 2011, 00:53
i know that BE's codeshares with BA are few and far betwen but does anyone think that BE would/could consider codesharing with BA on the NQY-LGW rotation to allow easier onward connections ?

cs

Tonyq
20th Jan 2011, 11:09
I see that they have changed the online pricing so that the headline fare now includes 'taxes and charges'. Sensible idea.:ok:

redED
20th Jan 2011, 11:41
I see that they have changed the online pricing so that the headline fare now includes 'taxes and charges'. Sensible idea.

Isn't that now required under EU law?

pug
20th Jan 2011, 12:02
Am i right in thinking that it is now too late for BE to announce any summer routes from HUY to Spain?

NorthernCounties
20th Jan 2011, 13:21
Just wondering does anyone know what types of aircraft and how many of each are based at Gatwick.

And rumours of routes to and from Gatwick to UK destinations?

LDY in particular.

Skipness One Echo
20th Jan 2011, 13:40
NINE QUID to pay with a debit card???????

Highway robbery. Quite how people think these cowboys are business friendly is beyond me. BA is business friendly as their website at least maintains industry best practice. In flybe I have to DESELECT all the additional tosh I don't need.

eastern wiseguy
20th Jan 2011, 14:41
The travel insurance option ticks me off as well.I choose no...it then asks me to confirm by CHANGING the "accepted" colours of box RED now equal YES .....

Seat allocation means you HAVE to pay for for a seat...I have deselected the auto selection but does that mean that I will now HAVE to checkin at the desk...?

Bloody shysters....

EGAC_Ramper
20th Jan 2011, 15:09
EASTERN...

With regards the seat allocation I recently flew number of tris BHD-EMA-BHD and like yourself opted out to save a few pennies. Even by doing this you do not have to check-inn and the best method I found was to arrive at airport plenty of time, use their self check-inn machines and pick your own seat out of the ones available....window seats everytime which was my own personal preference.

Regards

lfc84
20th Jan 2011, 16:13
if you do not select a seat during the reservation process you can check in online and be automatically assigned a seat. if you want a specific seat get to the airport early and use self service kiosk or go to the desk as the previous poster mentioned.

LGW_08R
20th Jan 2011, 20:28
NC

I believe the airline only has 2 Dash 8's based at Gatwick at present, 1 for LBA the other for DUS. All other routes are operated from other bases, could be wrong, but I am pretty certain this is the case.

8R

NorthernCounties
20th Jan 2011, 20:40
Cheers 8R for the info. Just wanted to find out as there's a lot of use over on the LDY thread with our fingers double and triple crossed. In hope that BE might begin serving us!

Cheers again!

JC25
20th Jan 2011, 22:04
Most of the BE flights in and out of LGW are operated by none-LGW based aircraft. As mentioned above, there are two Q400s based at LGW - 1 for the DUS route and the other operates to JER on some "W" patterns.

All other destinations operate from the other end of the route into LGW (with the exception of NTE) and I assume that if LDY was ever to get a LGW service, it would operate in a similar way as morning traffic is generally strongest in the London direction.

LBA originally started off as a LGW based aircraft, but that was swapped fairly swiftly to a LBA based aircraft to offer the best schedule. Technically, there are no bases at NQY and LBA and crews from other bases have to stay in hotels to operate those flights, so it is quite possible that LDY-LGW could operate in a similar way.

airhumberside
21st Jan 2011, 14:14
LGW-Nantes seems to be going twice daily on weekdays using a LGW based aircraft

cornishsimon
21st Jan 2011, 20:08
perhaps with SZ on the rocks a little more currently is there a possibility of some additional services ex NQY? currently its just LGW x3 daily and EDI seasonal ?

cs

mbga8mjb
25th Jan 2011, 14:17
Hi - new poster so please go easy on me.

I'm booked on FlyBe 203 on Sat 23/04 at 11:50 am (INV - MAN) and have just got an email saying the schedule has been moved (although the flight no has changed) to FlyBe 201 same day, 7:15am.

I'm on honeymoon and this is our return flight, which means we'll have to get up v.early instead of enjoying our last breakfast away. I'm not impressed and rang up to that effect.

They say the flight BE203 on Saturday has been cancelled, however their timetable shows the original flight as still operating and the booking engine shows my original flight as full. Am I being taken for a ride? Or has this flight really been "cancelled" and rescheduled

Can anyone help?

lfc84
25th Jan 2011, 14:40
I just had a look at making a new booking. On Saturdays from the end of March this flight: Dep 11:50, Arr 13:15 states it is full.

It doesnt show up at all between now and the end of March.

My guess is that it has been cancelled, and they have blocked all the seats out during the process of moving / contacting passengers.

clairej
25th Jan 2011, 15:18
I'm in the same situation - we were booked on the 16th April - 11.50am flight and it has been reschelduled for 7am! We are also on honeymoon in the Isle of Skye and have a car hired which we need to return on the Saturday morning as that is when our accommodation is booked until - this means we wil likely have to fork out extra money for a nights accommodation in Inverness (whilst still paying for the cottage we have booked) just so we can return the car pre-flight - fuming!

Cloud1
25th Jan 2011, 17:51
@ clairej

If you have car hire would they charge extra for you to go to Aberdeen instead? It might mean you can travel at a more reasonable time in the morning albeit from a different airport. I dont think the distance between the two is huge and if you have a car? just a thought which may help....

@ mbga8mjb

Can understand why you want to make the most of your last morning - how about looking at flying in to Birmingham or as above travel from Aberdeen? It will mean paying out a bit but I cannot imagine it would be anything too harsh on the credit card and would mean you get to enjoy breakfast without such a rush.

nef
25th Jan 2011, 20:20
I'm afraid I have to disagree with the suggestion of flying to Aberdeen in order to reach Skye. Scotland is deceptively large and just cause Aberdeen and Skye are in "the north" doesn't mean they're close -Aberdeen is on the totally opposite side of the country to Skye and hence it would take ages to drive it - It'd be quicker to drive from Glasgow!

Squawk-VFR
25th Jan 2011, 20:47
Sorry to move slightly away from the current topic but anyone any clue where the new Q400s and E-jets are going this year?:8

Cloud1
25th Jan 2011, 20:56
Thanks Squawk, apologies my knowledge of Scotland is limited to the airports really!! Rather embarrasingly....so I was just going based on distance between the two airports rather than their destination.

There must be alternatives though, maybe the Inverness to Birmingham and then bus/train it to Manchester might be the best move.

mizake the mizzen
26th Jan 2011, 07:43
Inverness is approx 2 hours drive to Aberdeen , same time more or less on the Train.
I beleive the reschedule means that the flight is going back to operate on the INV based Q400 (with INV Crews) as opposed to a MAN based Q400. This has been the historic schedule for the Day6 INV-MAN and only changed for the Winter timetable.
Schedule changes are frustrating I appreciate but dont believe ABZ would necessarily be a better option given the extra distance.
True that the INV-BHX operates a couple of hours later than the retimed INV-MAN.
Your going to a truly beautiful part of our country. Enjoy.

mbga8mjb
26th Jan 2011, 08:08
Thanks for your help everyone (and the best wishes for the honeymoon).

BOHEuropean
26th Jan 2011, 19:10
Q400s are replacing those that are leaving...

Coffin Corner
26th Jan 2011, 22:19
Only 1 Q400 is leaving the fleet this year.

OltonPete
27th Jan 2011, 12:25
The new Q400 arrived at BHX today on delivery G-FLBF.

Any news on a specific date for the first 175 delivery?

The last press release mentioned it arriving before Q4
(can't remember the exact date) for the LGW-GCI service
- is that still the plan?

Pete

Ian Brooks
27th Jan 2011, 12:34
Pete
I think 1 is due before summer schedules just for Guernsey route with rest as you say
4Q

Ian B

Coffin Corner
27th Jan 2011, 13:17
I wouldn't hold your breath on it going into GCI. Word on Galley FM is that this isn't going to happen.

NorthSouth
27th Jan 2011, 13:41
Any reasons given? Would be a major backtrack on commitments given to Guernsey residents last year.
NS

BOHEuropean
27th Jan 2011, 14:48
Only one? Arin't G-JEDI, G-ECOV and G-ECOZ due to leave the fleet this year?

Aberdeen could see the E175 first, replacing the E195?

Whispering Giant
27th Jan 2011, 15:14
NorthSouth - blame it on the GCI government downgrading the runway catagory once again in order to stop it from operating there so as they can protect there loss making investment in Aurigny.

Aero Mad
27th Jan 2011, 15:34
Whispering Giant, if you haven't heard - the runway is being rebuilt this year, with new safety areas etc. so no, you're wrong, it is not the States trying to protect Aurigny.

The only reason I could think of why Flybe may not wish to send a 175 to GCI first is because they announced it in the middle of the huge Aurigny/Blue Islands merger kafuffle, possibly to put a spanner in the works (purely speculation, but rather a coincidence).

Aurigny's LGW route is profitable as far as I know, and they have got more than 50% of the market share. I doubt they will be too worried about the jets being reintroduced on the route because many pax won't even know unless there is a substantial amount of press, which there probably won't be.

I just can't help but disagree with you therefore.

Whispering Giant
27th Jan 2011, 16:27
The runway maybe being re-built, but the GCI government have allready reduced it's PCN number (weight restriction) and have allready stated that the new rebuilt runway will have a lower PCN than it currently is, This in turn will stop the 175 from being able to operate there.
Aero mad - believe what you like, I can only say what i've been told.

virginblue
27th Jan 2011, 18:54
Would it be wise to have a new aircraft type based at a somewhat remote location like GCI instead of EXT as the airline's engineering base? Of couse they already have the E195, but nevertheless it is a new sub-type.

Daffydil
27th Jan 2011, 19:50
1st delivery as per contract is 3Q but there was discussion round about the time the order was announced that another one could be found available sooner than that. This may have been a lease from a current operator of the type. Cirrus perhaps? Anyway not heard anything since.

virginblue
27th Jan 2011, 20:51
Cirrus only has 170s. They had a 175 a while back, but it left after a short while to move on to pastures new.

Coffin Corner
27th Jan 2011, 22:44
From "a" horse's mouth, the jets start arriving June/July time. So yes Q3 seems feasible.

Serenity
28th Jan 2011, 13:47
Heard from management we are short of a/c until the new Q400`s arrive!!

Squawk-VFR
29th Jan 2011, 19:28
I heard a rumour that all the new jets this year are going into BHX

IOMspotter
30th Jan 2011, 14:59
We've got loads of spare capacity in IoM. With all the cutbacks it would be dead easy to free up an airframe here or better still start some new routes from ronaldsway:ok:

airhumberside
30th Jan 2011, 18:43
Does LGW need an extra aircraft when Nantes goes 2xMon-Fri, or can that be covered within the existing fleet?

JC25
30th Jan 2011, 19:37
Looking at the BE timetable there is an early departure to DUS and JER as well as NTE so a third aircraft will be needed at LGW.

G-FLYB
30th Jan 2011, 20:08
I hear from one of my colleagues based at Manchester that that base is to be crewed up for another jet. Several individuals have had the 'call'.

learjet50
30th Jan 2011, 20:39
re your thread re 2nd Jet at Manchester.

Understand its the E175 which will cover the Paris Flight still operated by the Q400 as well as Dussledorf/Frankfurt to compete with LH/BMI

Crew Can fly both E175 and E190 so no problem with interchange of Jet Crews

Just what I Heard dont shoot the Messenger :D

Aero Mad
30th Jan 2011, 21:30
Well if Guernsey doesn't get the first jet as promised, a lot of Channel Islands residents will be, understandably, very cheesed off.

Especially on LGW - GCI, there is a growing trend in Aurigny's favour and this possible move will do nothing to stop that.

Akiraprise
31st Jan 2011, 11:03
Can't imagine Flybe pulling the jet from the GCI - LGW service will go down well with the Guernsey residents, especially after all the marketing they did during the Aurigny / Blue Islands possible merger.

Is this down to the state of the runway as previously mentioned, or was it always just a ploy to overturn the merger?

globetrotter79
31st Jan 2011, 13:08
Looking at the BE timetable there is an early departure to DUS and JER as well as NTE so a third aircraft will be needed at LGW

As far as I know, BE haven't pick up any extra slots at LGW so (although I prepare to be proven wrong) given the fact that both the early departure LGW-JER (BE931 at 0725 local) and the new early LGW-NTE (BE1701 at 0725 local) have the exact same departing schedule from LGW, I would strongly suspect that there is some chopping/rescheduling to come...

JC25
31st Jan 2011, 13:16
I did notice that all three departures have the same time (0725) and wondered whether the DUS or JER would get the chop to make way for the NTE ( chopping the JER would make more sense).

macuser
31st Jan 2011, 13:19
I did here a rumour that there was to be a third a/c based in Jersey this Summer season. Maybe this will help serve the LGW schedules.

virginblue
31st Jan 2011, 13:27
Try booking a LGW-DUS flight from March onwards....

The result might give you an idea.

JC25
31st Jan 2011, 13:59
I guess pulling DUS wouldn't be a huge surprise as it's not a great performer and is marginal at best (I believe it was close to being dropped before the start of the current winter schedule). All will become clear I guess.

Serenity
1st Feb 2011, 09:12
So BMI have canx their GLA/LHR route.

Will Flybe step in and start one to LGW as they did when BMI dropped the LBA/LHR route????

Yes I know BA already do it!!

Skipness One Echo
1st Feb 2011, 09:28
Yes I know BA already do it!!

and easyJet so I would say no as the route is already over-served. LGW-LBA/NCL are monopolies from the London end.

Balair
2nd Feb 2011, 10:32
Does anyone have details of how FlyBe's BHD-EMA route is performing in terms of load factor following WW's switch from BFS?
A quick check of their prices suggest they have reduced considerably from those available prior to Baby's arrival. This was obviously to be expected, but whether all of the reduction has been forced on them by the competition, or is partly tactical to try to retain market share is obviously unknown, as of course is the on-going viability of the route for both airlines with such overcapacity.
It will certainly test FlyBe's commitment to the route, particularly as it is the only one they operate from EMA?

redED
2nd Feb 2011, 11:11
as of course is the on-going viability of the route for both airlines with such overcapacity.

Overcapacity? People seem to forget that when Baby were still up the road Ryanair (with a 178 capacity) were operating EMA 3 times a day out of the city compared to flybe's two flights a day on 78 seater aircraft.

Balair
2nd Feb 2011, 13:45
So both airlines can look forward to operating profitably on the route then - and there is obviously scope for Flybe to introduce a third daily rotation...? I think not!

No sooner said than done...! It seems Flybe are taking the fight to Baby by introducing a third daily rotation from March. That seems to answer my question about their commitment to EMA!

OltonPete
2nd Feb 2011, 22:49
Balair

CAA stats for November 4212 pax and December 3399.

libhomeradar shows 47 flights in November and 40 in December

If accurate, I make the November average pax per flight 45, which
is 57% load factor and December 42 per flight or 54%.

Obviously this will be the last month to compare as Baby's figures
will be included from January.

Pete

Balair
3rd Feb 2011, 07:33
Pete,

Thank you for the info - it will be interesting to see how the situation develops, but as you say it will be impossible in future to determine the split between the two airlines from the monthly stats.

Following Flybe's addition of an extra daily rotation on the BHD route, I wonder if their "measured response" to WW might even extend to a retaliatory move onto the EMA-EDI/GLA routes sometime in the future?

Balair

Rigger92
4th Feb 2011, 17:34
Could anyone let me know if it is the Q400 or Emb that Flybe position at Newcastle please?

Coffin Corner
4th Feb 2011, 17:56
2 x Q400s based there. Is that what you mean?

Rigger92
4th Feb 2011, 18:10
Coffin Corner,

Exactly what I was after - thanks :)

NorthernCounties
17th Feb 2011, 10:23
Flybe's been quiet recently... any rumours of new routes/bases?

goldeneye
17th Feb 2011, 12:07
Flybe are operating a charter for Tui Travel and Olympic Holidays from EDI - CFU for Summer 2011. Running every friday from 6th May through 21st Oct.

NorthernCounties
20th Feb 2011, 20:43
Speculation around that BE will be making an announcement on some niche routes tomorrow. Any substance to these claims?

Serenity
24th Feb 2011, 08:53
Seems Flybe are being beaten on the continent by Eastern Airways currently, one base open, another coming soon(according to their thread)

[QUOTE][Seems quite goods
for french readers a local newspaper (logical for a french domestic market )
BOURGOGNE : Un 10 000e passager pour Eastern Airways à Dijon - Bienvenue sur Infos Chalon

... 10000 pax since start of operatiions
... average LF is for the first months of operations 50%
... Eastern Aw will open new routes from Dijon base, waiting infos about new routes

The french website
Eastern Airways
/QUOTE]

bravoromeosierra
24th Feb 2011, 09:29
Would it be true to say last night's CDG-CWL was diverted into Bristol?

johnref
24th Feb 2011, 11:18
MAN - LDY 5 times per week appeared on flybe website.

NorthernCounties
24th Feb 2011, 15:22
Indeed. Looks like NorthernCounties got his/her wish!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

He did indeed! ;) I look forward to future mentions of LDY in this thread regarding new routes... whenever that maybe!

ib26uk
2nd Mar 2011, 14:59
Does anybody know when flybe will release their schedules for Birmingham for November onwards?

I`m one of those super organised people who likes to book WELL in advance - I`m going to go to the MTV Europe Music Awards in Belfast !!

Sillert,V.I.
3rd Mar 2011, 19:30
Just noticed this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-12642524

LBIA
11th Mar 2011, 14:45
Hi

Dose anyone know if flybe have decided to drop its 3x times daily Leeds/Bradford to London Gatwick, Dash 8 service?

As at the moment no flights are bookable after March 31st on there website.

OltonPete
11th Mar 2011, 15:26
LBIA

I couldn't even find Leeds in the "from" drop-down but no problems
booking SOU-LBA return but not LBA-SOU return.

Could just be an IT problem but LGW-LBA certainly not bookable
either way.

Pete

jubilee
11th Mar 2011, 16:07
Flybe LBA LGW flights are bookable through agency sites.
Jubilee

POL1W
11th Mar 2011, 16:33
The flights finish LBA-LGW 31 March.

vectisman
11th Mar 2011, 20:03
I have just checked the Flybe website to find that all London Gatwick to Leeds/Bradford are bookable through to January 2012.

On a related note does anyone know how Flybe are planning to use the vacated Dusseldorf slots? Have they been used to increase frequencies on current routes?

I know that Easyjet dominate most of the short haul routes but there are several niche routes that I am sure Flybe could exploit with the right size aircraft. Dash 8s or the new E175s to Paris, Brussels, Luxembourg and provincial European cities for example.

As always thoughts and opinions welcome.

Thanks.
V.

POL1W
11th Mar 2011, 21:10
"vectisman I have just checked the Flybe website to find that all London Gatwick to Leeds/Bradford are bookable through to January 2012."

Check again vectisman. The online timetable has not been changed yet and still say Jan2012. Try make a booking. Nothing after 31 March 11.

airhumberside
11th Mar 2011, 21:18
On a related note does anyone know how Flybe are planning to use the vacated Dusseldorf slots
The Nantes frequency increase partially replaces DUS

canberra97
12th Mar 2011, 06:17
I wonder if Flybe will ever consider SOU to Nantes as they operate to more French destinations from SOU than any other base but only fly from LGW to Nantes.

I think Nantes would fit in nicely with there portfolio of French destinations currently on offer from SOU.

Other possible destinations in France I could see Flybe operating from SOU are Lyon and Marseille and perhaps Strasbourg as well.

adfly
12th Mar 2011, 08:44
SOU to Montpellier could work as well but I suppose we'll have to wait for the E175's and some space to park them before they consider adding too many routes!!

MUFC_fan
12th Mar 2011, 11:06
An E175 that can't use a 5,600ft runway?!

I'd want my money back...

Cloud1
12th Mar 2011, 12:03
They do MAN-NTE as well.....I guess SOU would fit in nicely along with the others.

LGWLBA is being dropped, shame they didnt just cut capacity down rather than get rid of the whole thing. Although wonder if this will open up a new route for LBA

Deano777
12th Mar 2011, 12:11
I think it is being dropped as the airframes are needed for something else in the pipeline.

Haven't a clue
12th Mar 2011, 13:01
If SOU 5,600ft is an issue where does that leave supposed first user Guernsey at 4,800ft?

RNWY03
12th Mar 2011, 20:31
.........mmm, I thought that 170/190's ( not flybe) operate out of London City which only has a 4900 foot runway............the flybe 190's seem to have no problem with the runway at SOU, do they have a different engine rating to the 175?

Cloud1
12th Mar 2011, 20:37
Oh dear Choppacoppa99, sounds as though you have a few things to get off your chest, write to the Management team with your concerns.

Has anyone been on G-FLBF? This is the first Q400 NextGen in the fleet but I have not yet been onboard. Are there any noticeable differences? I had a look at some of the G-ECO*'s the other day vs the older airframes and there are some additional lights on the fuselage.

OltonPete
12th Mar 2011, 20:53
Has any decision been made yet, which base will get the 175 first now
that GCI is out of the running?

I notice Jetho's now has late May for delivery and in service in June.

I have been using various sites to see if the 175 pops up as the type of
aircraft but it is a bit of a tedious way of doing things.

Also on the homepage BHX, MAN & LBA are still not shown in the "from"
box but do appear in the "to" box. However all are bookable if you
navigate to other parts of the website.

I did send an e-mail to them Friday evening.

Anybody else getting the same problem? I am using a reasonably
new netbook. I suppose it might be the browser I am using.

Pete

adfly
12th Mar 2011, 22:11
Seen as many of flybe's key bases/destinations are at airports with runways of under 1900m (SOU, JER, GCI, IOM, INV, ABZ, BHD) and they have already stated that they have plans to use the E175's for expansion at some of these bases they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they were unable to use them at the stated airports and also flybe's two largest bases (SOU and BHD) are among the above list. They could split the order and have some with lower rated engines but that would spark problems if an A/C change was needed. Finally, RNWY03 the E195's and E190's have higher rated engines which probably give them a better power to weight ratio and they also have a very large(for the aircraft size) wing area which is why there is less of a problem in operating them out of SOU and LCY for that matter.

airhumberside
13th Mar 2011, 10:18
Oh dear Choppacoppa99, sounds as though you have a few things to get off your chest, write to the Management team with your concerns.
To be fair, Flybe are understandly not very happy with the Guenrsey government currently - they've just had their license to operate MAN-GCI withdrawn

Geo73
13th Mar 2011, 10:47
This is the reply I received from Flybe customer relations last week when I enquired about Guernsey and the Embraer 175.

Thank you for contacting Flybe, we are expecting an announcement soon regarding this route and the new Embraer 175, but at present we do not have the requested information. All we know at present is this spring, so would imagine the announcement is imminent.

FlyingTinCans
13th Mar 2011, 11:01
Although I love a good rumour, esp ones about how cheap Flybe managment are! Most of the ones about the 'stripped-back' 175 are utter rubbish (I Hope!) if you think about the facts.

Here are some ive heard throughtout the network:

No AutoThrottles - For a start I dont think Emb even give customers an option for this, the dash is no autothrottles as standard, it wasnt an option. Also if they did this I dont think it would be classed as a common type rating with the 195's so they would have to take the autothrottles out of the 195's too, either way no autothrottles in a highly automated jet is just gonna increase fuel burns even more.

1 FMS - Unlike the Dash, the FMS in the Emb controls the Radio's too (no seperate ARCDU), so unless the Cpt is going to be PNF for ever sector....

No Air Stairs - Possibly, easyjet think its the way to go, and cityflyer operate without them but only due to performance restrictions at LCY. If the charges to bring some steps for every turnaround are cheaper than flying them around ourselves then why not.

De-Rated Engines - I CAN see this one happening, to an extent. However not so much that they cant operate from SOU!! SOU is an extremely important base for BE. Its like BA bringing in an aircraft type that cant operate from LHR! On top of that the current dash fleet at SOU is doing the exact kind of flying that the 175 is due to operate.

Im sure others have heard more...

Richard Taylor
14th Mar 2011, 07:25
Hi all. Does anyone know whether FlyBe have any further plans for ABZ, be it with Dash 8, emb175...or Saab 340!!

Geo73
14th Mar 2011, 17:53
WingoWango

The PCN at Guernsey Airport has not been lowered, it is still 22.

Geo

Geo73
14th Mar 2011, 22:52
choppercopper 99

Very little is being said about the Embraer 175 on the island at the moment. It has always been said that the Embraer 195 is too heavy to operate a regular service due to the poor state of the runway at the moment, nothing has been said about this effecting the 175.

Aurigny used to operate an ATR72 in competition with a Flybe BAe 146-300, I don't think they are going to be too worried about an Embraer 175.

A lot of local people will choose to fly Aurigny because they do not have all the hidden charges when making a booking, I don't think a jet service will suddenly change this.

Flybe are still saying that the 175 will be operated to Guernsey (see my earlier post), I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

nef
15th Mar 2011, 14:44
At the end of last year there was a rumour did the rounds that BE were possibly going to start INV-AMS. Could the 175 be going there to start that route?

Skipness One Echo
16th Mar 2011, 16:44
I came back from Jersey on a Q400 recently and we parked remote at Gatwick after a short engine run up. Never thought much of it at the time but I have come across this on numerous occasions since with flybe DHC8s requesting to stop short of stand for a run up.

Four times in the last week at least. What's occuring?

Capt. Horrendous
16th Mar 2011, 17:19
There has always been a requirement to test the propeller overspeed governor on a weekly basis. This is normally done on a Saturday evening. The test entails bringing the aircraft to a halt, arming a test circuit in the flight deck and advancing the power levers until the system indicates a succesful test to the crew. It should only take ten seconds or so.

Love_joy
25th Mar 2011, 09:32
Some light reading on the Embraer 175 reveals that it has an identical thrust to weight ratio as the 195, despite having the baby brother engines. With the slightly smaller wings in the mix, yes it does require a longer take-off run, but not by much.

At MTOW, it is only slightly more than the 195 at just under 2300m. And that'll be with 9t of fuel on board, giving range in excess of 2500km...

Unless I'm missing something, I really don't see that we're going to have any significant issues in the main. All our routes are 1.5 hrs or less on that aircraft, so even with plenty of bums on seats, I don't see it being a significant issue.

adfly
25th Mar 2011, 16:01
That is all very well but I thought flybe were also intending to use the aircraft on some longer routes which do not have the demand for E195's and these were mostly from airports with shorter runways such as SOU. If the thrust-weight ratio is about the same as the E195's then how far can well-loaded E195's and E175's economically travel off of SOU's 1723m runway?

Love_joy
25th Mar 2011, 18:42
SOU has been limiting for a lot of jets, for a long time now. The inherited EMB145 had performance penalty out of there, there was no way to go MTOW.

For short field performance, you're never going to beat a prop.

As I said, Flybe core routes are mostly 1.5 hrs or less. I can't see this being a huge issue.

AirLCY
25th Mar 2011, 21:03
BA can do a 2 hour block time from LCY, so a slightly heavier E175 should be able to do a little further than that from SOU

FL370 Officeboy
31st Mar 2011, 18:58
Flybe are the UK's most punctual airline. Officially!!

Flybe claims top spot in CAA punctuality table - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2011/03/25/36626/flybe+claims+top+spot+in+caa+punctuality+table.html)

I'm sure there will still be the odd smart arse who thinks calling them 'flymaybe' is witty and hilarious :}

adfly
31st Mar 2011, 19:21
Thats quite an achievement seen as in 2005 we were delayed for 4 hours outbound and 6 hours inbound on SOU-ALC, however in 2008/2009 we used them to Palma(all for family holidays!) and they were pretty much perfect punctuality wise and also the E195 is easily the most comfortable and spacious short haul aircraft i've ever flown on. You cannot deny that they have come a long way as far as punctuality is concerned!:ok:

OltonPete
31st Mar 2011, 20:18
I don't think the award would be off much comfort for flybe's BHX pax
today looking at the arrivals board.

I noted cancellations on Stuttgart, Glasgow, Jersey and Belfast.

Delays on Frankfurt (over three hours) this morning or should I
say mid afternoon. The 18.00 EDI + 2 hours, tonights FRA + 2 hours,
outbound GLA now just delayed.

Are these tech or weather delays/cancellations?

I notice the spare 195 has been used all week on the Frankfurt.

G-FLBG is not far off delivery I believe so is it aircraft shortage?

I think the 175 will get very welcome arms at BHX, just hope it will be
this year. Is there an update for the first delivery or is still heading
for late May with a June EIS date?

Pete

Cloud1
31st Mar 2011, 21:19
Yes BHX is still getting the E175 and I believe they will be going the German routes but not entirely sure. Will be August though I expect because the first jet is due in July and thats going straight up to INV.

Does anyone know what the chosen registrations are for the E175s?

Not sure on todays delays but 4 of the 7 arrivals tonight are early. One delay of 20 mins, one cancellation and the two hour delay on the FRA. Not all that bad but no idea what this afternoon was like.

macuser
31st Mar 2011, 22:04
Fog in Jersey

Ayline
31st Mar 2011, 22:28
So no new 175 for Guernsey then..........?

Still on the Flybe website: "Flybe to launch its new jet aircraft on popular Guernsey route in spring 2011 Islanders will be first to benefit next year as Europe’s largest regional airline flies new E-175 jet on upgraded London Gatwick lifeline service

Flybe, Europe’s largest regional airline and the UK’s Number One Domestic carrier, has brought forward the delivery of the first of its 35 new 88-seat Embraer-175 jet aircraft to Spring 2011 to ensure Guernsey passengers are the first to enjoy the latest addition to its fleet on what will be an upgraded London Gatwick service.

The decision has been taken to satisfy the long-standing demand for the return of a jet service on this important route on which Flybe will offer up to eight convenient and affordable flights a day from the Island.

Mike Rutter, Flybe’s Chief Commercial Officer says: “We’ve pulled out all the stops with Embraer, our aircraft manufacturers, to bring forward the delivery of the first of our new E-175 jets so that we can base an aircraft in Guernsey. This means our Guernsey passengers can be the very first to benefit from our newly announced multi-billion pound investment with Embraer.

“We have long been aware of the demands for a regular jet service to and from London Gatwick from Guernsey. We pride ourselves on always listening and responding to our passengers’ business and leisure travel needs and this move is an important reflection of our determination in meeting those demands.”

The Embraer 175 jet offers comfortable 2x2 seating and is in line with Flybe’s product commitment of offering its passengers a minimum of 30” legroom. In addition, both the E-jet’s economic and environmental performance is in line with Flybe’s strategy of only operating A and B-rated eco-label aircraft and investment in lower emission new technology aircraft.

Adds Mr Rutter: “This is really exciting news both for Flybe and for Guernsey and we look forward to welcoming our very first Island passengers on board our first new aircraft next Spring. The combined benefit of our new jet equipment along with Flybe’s growing codeshares across Europe will allow passengers in Guernsey to use Flybe to connect to the world.”

Cloud1
31st Mar 2011, 22:42
It may be worth asking the Guernsey government, I have a funny feeling the decision not to put the 175 in to GCI has some link to them. Be it the current legal battle over BEs service to Manchester or maybe a more direct link between the 175 operating abilities in to GCI and any improvements that might be required...........just words from the grape vine you understand and not based on facts as such. Makes for interesting speculation though :ok:

vulcanite
31st Mar 2011, 23:49
Re today's FRA and STR:
Standby 195 used for morning FRA rotation, but some hours late, due a dead Dash I suppose.
Afternoon STR also operated by standby 195 due dead Dash. Whilst this was being organised, afternoon FRA Dash also died-possibly same Dash as earlier., so was decided to combine - BHX-STR-FRA-BHX. As UK not signitory to Schengen, on arrival STR all FRA pax had also to disembark, clear inbound and then reboard-further delay. Combined STR/FRA arrived BHX 2240L. Roll on those 175's.

Tonyq
1st Apr 2011, 00:07
Jethro's shows two Dash's G-JECS/T as withdrawn last weekend. This may contribute to any shortage of frames across the fleet right now. Does the S11 programme require two fewer aircraft? I know one will be saved now that LBA-LGW has finished.

According to G-INFO, these two a/c are owned by BE. Wonder if this a temporary storage move, if they have early disposals lined up for them, or maybe they are off to fulfill one of the long promised 'deals' in Europe, like the aborted Finnish tie up?

Clearly with 3 new Dash's to come very soon, and a steady flow of 175's later in the year, they need some sort of growth or they will have too many aircraft.

parky747
1st Apr 2011, 01:21
Are any of the E175 going to based in MAN?

Coffin Corner
1st Apr 2011, 08:12
The 3 new Dash 8s will not be arriving, along with 5 Dashes in the current fleet they will be off to a company somewhere in the deep south.

flying officer kite
1st Apr 2011, 08:46
Just noticed that as part of the BE/AF codeshare, Belfast now appears as a destination with Cityjet

OltonPete
1st Apr 2011, 21:39
vulcanite

Cheers for the explanation at least all the pax got out and back, so all
in all not too bad with Jersey weather related (thanks macuser) and that
possibly caused the BE417 cancellation as it usually is the same aircraft?

The spare 195 was on the Stuttgart again tonight, amazing to have a jet
to come in at short notice (or pre-planned).

April sees a few one-off charters as at BHX, Tarbes, Perpignan & Venice.

Thanks for all the other replies re the 175.

Coffin Corner

I assume South Africa, as another blog mentions this country.

Pete

OltonPete
3rd Apr 2011, 19:55
New Q400 G-FLBG has just been delivered to BHX.

Pete

learjet50
3rd Apr 2011, 22:36
It was said last night this a/c now going to the Deep south is this true or is it going in Service with Fly Be ??

As a matter of intrest only Why do the Aircraft (New) always seem to be delivered to BHX ?

Have a good night

flying officer kite
6th Apr 2011, 09:16
Learjet50, one assumes it is because (i believe) a lot of the maitenence on the Q400s are done in BHX, a bit like why BA's new 777-300 was delivered to CWL, even though its a LHR based machine..

On another note, did anything ever come out of the idea that Flybe would get rid of handling agents at airports and do everything themselves?