PDA

View Full Version : FlyBe - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Boing7117
25th Sep 2011, 19:22
That's a long way for the Q400!

I suspect the 175 will probably do it.... if they've arrived by then!

Chitty
25th Sep 2011, 19:26
its not to far for a dash 8 coz flybe do charter flights from the isle of man to menorca, palma and ibiza on a dash 8

CabinCrewe
25th Sep 2011, 20:07
i could think of nothing worse. Theres hardly any room for a satchel overhead never mind cabin bags for a 2 week holiday. Noisy and rickety for 2 hours...no thanks. no wonder they havent "taken-off" and the aircraft type not clearly advertised

Cloud1
25th Sep 2011, 21:44
Actually CabinCrewe, they are not that bad. I have had the smoothest flight ever on a Q400, I guess you must have just had some bad experiences. The Dash has done UK-MXP, VCE and Spain before without any problem.

I expect it is the Dash, 75 seats with 3 spare to allow for additional fuel and baggage. It is a similar set up on some of the other charters.

The 175s are suppose to be doing the charters in to Turin this winter with all 3 due in at some point. It will also do a Chambery but mainly operate the scheduled MAN-CDG,DUS & BHX-CDG,DUS with the third INV-LGW. This too keeps changing along with the a/c delivery dates.

lexoncd
26th Sep 2011, 09:17
Had a call from a friend delayed in Inverness last night. Nearly a six hour delay on the flight to Manchester. Add in a two hour delay on Friday night to the outward and you have a very unhappy couple. Delays due to tech issues seem to be on the rise?

Serenity
26th Sep 2011, 10:51
Definately seems to be more and more tech issues on the dash. over used, friday afternoon aircraft, waiting for the white elephant 175`s to turn up.

How come Cityflyer, KLM, Air Europa, Air France etc etc never had these problems getting E jets into service.

Usual disgraceful organisation again!! :mad:

OltonPete
26th Sep 2011, 16:22
I can confirm that there have been delays and cancellations over the
last three days at BHX.

I suppose if you take seven aircraft out of the fleet and replace them
with nothing plus the bulk of fleet are Q400's then I things will be tough
or at least until the cavalry arrive.

The spare 195 at BHX does not seem to be operating but it could be elsewhere.

Inverness - Gatwick now shows the 175 from 11/10 in GDS the same date as the already known Manchester - Brussels evening service.

Pete

EuroWings
26th Sep 2011, 17:19
i could think of nothing worse. Theres hardly any room for a satchel overhead never mind cabin bags for a 2 week holiday. Noisy and rickety for 2 hours...no thanks. no wonder they havent "taken-off" and the aircraft type not clearly advertised

They really aren't that bad. Rickety? :confused: Slightly above the noise level of a jet, however they are quiet for a prop. Only budget airlines have forced people to take 'the kitchen sink' in the cabin.

drivez
27th Sep 2011, 11:05
If anyone in the know could give me some help on how many routes flybe actually fly and to how many destinations?

I've found answers ranging from 200+ routes 75 destinations to, 194 routes 65 destinations and 180 routes 61 destinations. I just dont want to be asked "How many routes do we operate?" and mumble my way through.

Thanks in advance

Deano777
27th Sep 2011, 13:51
Drivez

Are you talking from an interview perspective?

OltonPete
27th Sep 2011, 19:25
A couple of reasons for the Sunday delays.

Incident: Flybe DH8D near Londonderry on Sep 25th 2011, flaps problem (http://avherald.com/h?article=4439bbbe&opt=0)

Incident: Flybe DH8D near Southampton on Sep 25th 2011, flaps problem (http://avherald.com/h?article=4439bb0a&opt=0)

The spare 195 reappeared at BHX today and per flight.data24.com
I assume has been on a check as no flights for "EM" between 11 & 27
September, which I am sure has not helped.

At least one cancellation today at BHX but all seems better tonight.

Also good loads on the two flights mentioned above so not all bad.

Pete

JobsaGoodun
30th Sep 2011, 21:25
MARKET REPORT: Flybe soars on Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou rumour | This is Money (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2043883/MARKET-REPORT-Flybe-soars-Sir-Stelios-Haji-Ioannou-rumour.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

Wow, it must have been a slow news day today if some journo actually went to the trouble of writing this!! Very little research though. If this had been done they'd know that Stelios would need a bit more than £85million...... Flybe only floated 25% of the business so quadruple this figure.

On the up side, shares in Flybe are cheap at the moment considering how well the business appears to be doing!.

NorthernCounties
1st Oct 2011, 07:43
Apologies if im being stupid, but isnt the runway at ldy longer than that at bhd? And thus the real reason for the divert is that its handier to land at an airport with engineers present...

Capt. Horrendous
1st Oct 2011, 09:45
The article says it went to BFS not BHD.

TechProblem
1st Oct 2011, 13:31
Regarding my last post, its seem Flybe had try an updated the slot. But ACL at MAN didn't do so.

Q400 will be operating the CDG until mid October at least :/

TP

learjet50
1st Oct 2011, 15:11
Re your post Man CDG on Q400 until end of October Which Year ?

Do anybody know thereal reason for the delay in the delivery of the E175 as I hear 3 are now awaiting collection ///

JC25
1st Oct 2011, 21:01
I have heard that it is an issue with the financing of the aircraft - not that Flybe can't get the financing, but that there has been some sort of cock up with it at some stage and Embraer can't/won't release the aircraft until it is resolved (which it now has been and apparently two deliveries imminent).

I have no firm source, just the what I have heard around Exeter.

jetstreamtechrecords
5th Oct 2011, 08:50
FlyBe have stuck out a profit warning on the stockmarket after the shares fell yesterday and today. They are now 75p ...................

Sales dropped in september and Jim French says managemnt is accutely focussed on " adjusting short term capacity to meet reduced demand". Tin hats on in Exeter methinks.:eek:

jetstreamtechrecords
5th Oct 2011, 10:14
Flybe shares dive on profit warning

By Mark Odell and Mark Wembridge
Published: May 5 2011 23:01 | Last updated: May 5 2011 23:01
Shares in Flybe, the UK regional carrier that floated at the end of last year, tumbled by a quarter on Thursday as the company warned that high oil prices and weak leisure traffic would hit profits.

Investors reacted with dismay to the 45 per cent cut in guidance for the financial year to the end of March 2012, with the management indicating it now expected underlying profit of £20m, down from £36m.

spinnaker
5th Oct 2011, 12:09
Quite heavily as well, 34% down by mid morning and still digging. BBC News - Flybe shares nosedive 41% after second profits warning (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15181493) :\

Capetonian
5th Oct 2011, 12:18
Couldn't happen to a nicer airline!

I doubt whether the share price drop is of any lasting significance. They have a good market share, plenty of unique routes with high yield traffic, and a captive customer base. That is how they can get away with such poor customer service.

spinnaker
5th Oct 2011, 12:25
Its the second profit warning this year, and share price is 80% down on the original flotation price. Now hovering just above 60p. Market share alone isn't convincing investors.

Capetonian
5th Oct 2011, 12:27
Couldn't happen to a nicer airline!

I doubt whether the share price drop is of any lasting significance. They have a good market share, plenty of unique routes with high yield traffic, and a captive customer base. That is how they can get away with such poor customer service.

FR-
5th Oct 2011, 14:24
lasting significance come off it, its gone from 325 down to 62p in a matter of a few months. Looks more like a take over target now.

So Stelios wants to set up a new airline in the UK. He has just received a £70m (I think) divi from his stake in EasyJet, so he starts looking around. He could start from scratch, but that would mean paying market price/book value for each aircraft he acquires. He would also have the tetchy problem of acquiring slots, which take forever to apply for and don't come easily.

Or....

He could snap up Flybe, currently valued at around £45m, despite having a net book value of c.£110m in the last accounts. Fleet, slots and even a pile of cash for less than half the price of creating them himself. At 31 March 2011 there was even a pile of cash bigger than all Flybe's debt. For sure, that will have been whittled down subsequently, but this is not a business with immediate liquidity issues (I think - DYOR).

But will the exsiting owners sell? For BA/Iberia, their 15% stake is too tiddly now at c. £7m to be worth bothering with. It's petty cash to them and can go. For the institutions who bought into Flybe in last year's IPO, Stellios could be their white knight. The wild card is the Walker trust, but they are already below 50% and surely just want to see their wealth maximised. And Stelios won't need 100% to get him out of bed - he built EasyJet as a minority shareholder, albeit a significant one.

let's hope something good happens....

Otto Throttle
5th Oct 2011, 14:27
He can have mine for a fiver apiece. :}

Capetonian
5th Oct 2011, 14:45
FR- : Thank you for that interesting summary. I wasn't aware of the size of the drop in such a short period. I won't edit my original post, I'll admit it was an ill-considered opinion on my part.

If Stelios buys Flybe things can only get better. I wish him all the best.

JC25
5th Oct 2011, 17:20
When discussing the possibility of Flybe being taken over by another airline, we need to remember that the shares being traded on the stock exchange represent considerably less than 50% of total shares so a take-over is highly unlikely unless the Walkers decide to dump their shareholding... don't hold your breathe - especially at 65p a share!

FR-
5th Oct 2011, 18:12
So whats gone wrong.

The float price was way too high for a company with only 90 million in assets.

The airline business is risky and i always said DTG was a better buy.
My major gripe is management that have not got a clue. Just 5 weeks ago all was well and lfl were up etc.
To have gone in to reverse like this means that September must have been awful. Did they not see that coming?
They are also economical with numbers etc............what is the point of saying we have 87 million in cash if they have taken 200 million in customer deposits?
I would like to know
What % of flights are booked in advance by that i mean more than 1 month, the rest are walk ons?

This is what we need.
This new fleet of 45 jets that are coming...........who/how are they going to pay?
Last years numbers were clouded by exc items and resulted in a loss.
There is no clarity.

I remain nervous, there is a chance they may run out of cash. That said there is a chance that they become a target as well.

Fullback
5th Oct 2011, 20:23
It was my understanding that only 28 percent of the company was publically offered.

The price ,as has been mentioned on here, is only determined by traders in the City.... and is only valid for the very minute that it is issued.

Profit forecast still in the mid-teen millions for later in the year.....

racedo
5th Oct 2011, 21:17
When discussing the possibility of Flybe being taken over by another airline, we need to remember that the shares being traded on the stock exchange represent considerably less than 50% of total shares so a take-over is highly unlikely unless the Walkers decide to dump their shareholding... don't hold your breathe - especially at 65p a share!

Walkers will not dump at 65p a share BUT looking at the takeover speculation with SHI last week the market was valuing it at 115p a share and that was based on no bid.

On that basis 140-150p a share is not an unreasonable takeover price were it to happen..............this is pure speculation and nobody should invest assumming a takeover may be in the offing.

A bidder really will only need 5% and buying out the Walkers and then launching a takeover bid.

Question is who would buy ?

SHI ...............maybe but EGO would bring him down
Easyjet............unlikely as adds nothing strategically
Ryanair............as above
BA............unlikely as getting back into domestic
Air France...........possibly but prob not
Private equity ?.........................what would be the payback ?

FR-
6th Oct 2011, 11:18
Well i so post on iii aswell, but i still feel those two post show what a state flybe is in. If you look at the first post it did say that walker trust may step and buy the rest.

fr-

HZ123
6th Oct 2011, 11:54
This all goes to prove that making monies internally in the UK is very difficult particularly in the current mess we find ourselves !

WHBM
6th Oct 2011, 15:06
I just happened to turn on BBC Radio 4 (the UK mainstream news station) about 0830 this morning, halfway through an extended financial team discussion about FlyBe, and really thought for a while that they were discussing some sudden negative event that had happened this morning.

To me the best thing that could happen would be for IAG to up their shareholding and rebadge them as a BA commuter carrier. BA regularly blow hot and cold over whether associated carriers are in or out of fashion with them, now is about the time for the pendulum to swing back again. There's been a huge loss of visibility for BA outside London, that this could go some way to address. Just as long as Waterside don't then see it as a huge opportunity to dump central overheads away from their own operation and onto the smaller operations, in the way they have done in the past, turning marginally proftable operations into huge loss-makers on paper.

jetstreamtechrecords
6th Oct 2011, 15:41
well Mr French is not wasting time reducing UK capacity in line with demand as he promised the city yesterday. Today its BHD cuts on 3 routes including axing the 3x a day BHD LPL.:ouch:

pabely
6th Oct 2011, 15:46
WMBH - Interesting idea but wouldn't IAG want major feeds into BA which Flybe couldn't currently do?

easyflyer83
6th Oct 2011, 15:56
Unless BA intended to change alot of routes, I can't see BE. being that good a fit for IAG anymore. The UK domestics, by and large, don't feed into BA and the number of key European Cities isn't that huge but instead a lot of French regional routes.

LD12986
6th Oct 2011, 15:57
I don't think there's a chance of IAG buying FlyBe. I think they have bigger long haul players in their sights.

Even if it did and it operated under the BA name, transfer pricing legislation would require BA to licence the brand at an arm's length price, thus denting profitability on paper.

JSCL
6th Oct 2011, 16:03
Q: Do Flybe fly in to LHR?
A: No.

Q: So are IAG going to be interested?
A: No.

Skipness One Echo
6th Oct 2011, 17:11
Even if it did and it operated under the BA name, transfer pricing legislation would require BA to licence the brand at an arm's length price, thus denting profitability on paper.

How does that work with BA CityFlyer?

jetstreamtechrecords
9th Oct 2011, 15:30
no one's gonna buy FlyBe cos its not for sale at these prices and the Walkers who control it wont sell below 300p and its now 65p. Stop dreaming. Maybe once Mr French and Rutter have chopped some of the unprofitable routes back the price will go up again.

No one in there right mind thinks the BHD cuts are the end of it and LPL always was a low yield dog.;)

Facelookbovvered
9th Oct 2011, 17:00
Have to agree, i think that with bmibaby starting an early rotation from BHD to EMA from November (7am?) that any advantage that Flybe had on the Route will be gone, so it will come down to a bun fight on fares and Jet v Prop there should only be one winner, if Flybe's number drop as a result it will be chopped after Xmas.

EI-BUD
9th Oct 2011, 18:17
Flybe has been on a strong upward pattern for the last number of years since to my mind the aquisition of BA Connect business. This is really the 1st negative commentary that has been bandied about on the subject of Flybe. This year they made an aquisition in Finland and this is likely going to put some strain on the system for a while, I would imagine, sounds like management are acting quick in light of a slow up in bookings.

Flybe is quite niche in terms of its business and has some very strong bases. I think we will see Flybe return to a strong performance and the share price grow again. Cant see it being sold at this stage.

I dont work for Flybe so only know what info the media gives and what is discussed on this thread.

As regards BHD EMA, the WW brand is very strong in EMA and BE brand is strong in Belfast. So to my mind depending on where the majority of the demand is coming from will determine to some extent the success of either carrier, but given that WW has been in the market for a long time, they are well established. I think EMA would be the last route that WW would give up ex BHD, though given the woes at bmi group, I wouldnt be throwing in the towel if I were BE at this stage.

EI-BUD

Cloud1
10th Oct 2011, 06:14
Noticed on the website a banner stating the last BHDLPL is 06th November. This is the first time BE have ever publicly referred to a suspended route online and usually, such banners are only put in place if their Call Centre receive a large number of the same questions.

My point therefore is, is this route chop affecting many more people than first thought to the point they have to put some form of advice on the web? If so, is this the best route to be chopping??

BHDDSA is no surprise as, apart from the odd JER, BE have never committed to DSA and never added to their network.

BHDMSE was only summer anyway so surprise again.

Leg
11th Oct 2011, 10:32
Maybe once Mr French and Rutter have chopped some of the unprofitable routes back the price will go up again.

No they wont, boywonder is in charge now and therein lies the problem :ugh:

towser
11th Oct 2011, 10:35
Any word on when the first 175 is going to turn up? It should have been here by now shouldn't it?

BluffOldSeaDog
11th Oct 2011, 16:22
Did nobody tell you Towser mate, we're having all yours instead :)

towser
11th Oct 2011, 17:17
Only if we can get your pay!!!

Lineup N Wait
11th Oct 2011, 19:12
Only 25% of the company had been floated, so a takeover is very unlikely.

The city/traders may understand the business models of companies such as BA (full service, most money made in biz/1st class) and Easy/Ryan (true lo-co) but the flybe model is neither, so is fairly new to the city and it will take time for them to fully understand it.

Flybe always drop routes over winter and always will, it saves money and frees aircraft (short on spare aircraft to cover tech issues etc at the moment - no 175's yet!) and frees crews to operate any other work (charters etc) they may get.

The share price will recover - eventually!!

Just my opinion!

davidjohnson6
11th Oct 2011, 19:38
Flybe is a considerably smaller company than either Easyjet or Ryanair. The City is not very good at understanding small companies and how they work - it's all about earnings, costs, revenues, and comparing a company to its peers.

Flybe management can talk as much as they like, but the average equity analyst covering the transport sector is unlikely to devote a lot of time covering a company with a market cap similiar to that of Flybe, unless there's a few consistent quarters of good profits. Warnings about a slump in bookings go down badly !

Not particularly fair, but that's the way the large banks work.

OltonPete
11th Oct 2011, 19:40
Had to smile with the delay to the 175 arriving when checking one Global Distribution System as it would get to about ten days before they were due and the aircraft type would change back to the original.

However they have obviously given up now, as the INV - LGW and MAN - BRU were still showing last night as the 175 for today and again it is the same tonight for tomorrow.

This of course is what Joe Public can see and I assume it is different for the agents?

Lineup N Wait

I checked a week in November and they wouldn't have to worry about the 175's if the Q400's were all "available", as they only require 60-61 aircraft and that was before BHD-LPL was pulled.

However it is very noticeable that the spare 195 at BHX is now being used most days. It operated for the Q400 on BHX-DUS-BHX this morning, BHX-GLA-BHX this afternoon and the same route again this evening.

I assume the Q400's were naughty again yesterday at BHX going by the delays although they all got back before midnight.

Pete

Lineup N Wait
11th Oct 2011, 20:02
Olton Pete - the key phrase you use mate is "if all the dashes are available"

60-61 aircraft might be all that is needed, but is that allowing for maintenance, or even more likely how much tech cover is required?

Several airframes have left the fleet now (running at about 51 dash and 14 ejets I think) so allowing for 2 or 3 on maint. It doesn't take much disruption before you run out of options.

Flybe are also making themselves available for third party work (like Titan etc), there is also talk (just talk at the moment) that they may have to wetlease airframes to cover shortfalls.

On one day last week 6 dashes were tech, so there isn't much slack, even if it is winter!:ugh:

Latest guess at 175's arriving, all by month end - possibly, maybe!

As usual Pete, your observations are pretty spot on mate.

BluffOldSeaDog
11th Oct 2011, 21:48
Olton, the BHX hot spare operated Bhx-Man-Dus-Bhx this morning, kept me on Man AStby for 6hours, not impressed :(

OltonPete
11th Oct 2011, 22:11
BluffOldSeaDog

Cheers I didn't notice the Manchester leg as I was using a BHX SBS site and only checked departures but should have realised that the something was up with the 11.45 arrival time back in BHX!

Will pay more attention in future;)

Much better tonight though by the look of it just one delay of note.

Pete

Tyreplug
13th Oct 2011, 07:22
Changing the topic slightly - I am getting strong rumours about a South African contract similar to Greece. Anyone no anything?

BluffOldSeaDog
13th Oct 2011, 10:01
Only that we've sold a few aircraft to them.

Doubt we have the manpower to support it, F/O's, especially on the 8, are being hammered on hours at the moment. Unless it came out of Q&A at an ART I'd disregard it out of hand if I were you

devon_guy
13th Oct 2011, 16:38
I see the summer 12 routes are out and EXT-EGC has gone. Gutted about that was planning to go to the Dordogne next year!

OltonPete
13th Oct 2011, 17:47
Someone please confirm that they didn't really mean to use the phrase "full schedule" in the press release?

If so what happened to all the BHX French routes?

Gone: -

Bergerac
Brest
Bordeaux
La Rochelle
Toulouse

Leaving Avignon once weekly and Paris!

This year they cut Rennes, Perpignan and Limoges compared to 2010.

Are things that bad?

Pete

devon_guy
13th Oct 2011, 17:55
We've already lost AVG, BES and NCE and PAR has gone down to 1x daily. Hope EGC hasn't got the chop :(

planenut321
13th Oct 2011, 18:11
In past years BE have released their summer 12 schedule in stages. Sees that there is to be little growth and lot of cut routes if this is the last schedule. Lets hope they release a second batch...but time is really getting slim now...

OltonPete
13th Oct 2011, 20:03
No surprise, as indicated in an earlier post flybe have given up on the 175's
for the summer 2011 schedule. All flights are now showing the current aircraft operating right up to Sat 29/10/2011.

However all four are still in GDS for the start of winter 2011/12 on Sunday
30/10/2011.

The BHX summer schedule looks far from complete so maybe a little hope left yet
for some of the French routes.

Unusual happening tonight with four 195's operating from BHX (CDG, HAJ, EDI & GLA) as well as visting 195's from BHD & EDI. Hanover went out this morning (Q400) and didn't return per flightstats:(

Pete

airhumberside
13th Oct 2011, 21:26
None of the Summer Saturday Jersey flights are in the BE schedules released today, but HUY-JER at least is bookable with Discover Jersey, with Flybe as the operating carrier

lizs
14th Oct 2011, 10:06
OltonPete
Yes, it can be confirmed that the phrase 'full schedule' was an unfortunate oversight given that the French routes from Birmingham and Exeter have yet to be finalised. This was mentioned in the Exeter regional release but regretfully left off the main release and the one relating to Birmingham.
The schedule for the outstanding French routes flown from both Birmingham and Exeter will be announced in the next few weeks.

Ian Brooks
14th Oct 2011, 10:48
And Manchester ?

Ian B

lizs
14th Oct 2011, 11:55
Work in progress on all outstanding French regional routes as it appears is the case with many other airlines

akerosid
14th Oct 2011, 17:43
So, what is the current state of play with the 175s?

The last I heard was that the finance was taking quite a while because BE wanted to pay a large amount up front.

Will BE actually be taking any 175s this year, or is the whole 175 project on ice for now?

learjet50
14th Oct 2011, 21:48
Why are the mods not being done at the factory ??

Any CAA paperwork is normally completed at the factory so the CAA can have a jolly and that the A/C can be ferried on the UK Reg by FlyBe Crews

Dont wear that sorry the aircraft have been delayed so long any extra mods required must have been known about months ago

Any advances ??

Genghis McCann
15th Oct 2011, 16:07
Rumour has it that in the last week or so Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, disgruntled major shareholder in easyJet, has attempted to buy FlyBe but been rebuffed at his first (last?) time of asking. Sir Stelios has attracted adverse publicity recently by trying to start fastjet.com in direct competition to his own airline easyJet. Perhaps this is the first part of that process. Maybe others within FlyBe might care to comment on these rumours.

SmilingKnifed
15th Oct 2011, 20:37
To be honest I couldn't care less what's written on the side of our aeroplanes as long as we're well treated and paid a salary commensurate with what we as pilots bring to the company.

Deano777
15th Oct 2011, 20:37
Heard the rumour from within, but it was just that, a rumour. I haven't heard anything with any substance.

JobsaGoodun
16th Oct 2011, 09:36
Guys, the Stelios rumour is old news from 2 weeks ago. (see p92)

If Stelios is in the market for an airline, I suggest he heads up the M5 to Donnington Hall where he'll find a load of old 737's with which to start Fastjet.
As has been mentioned, only 25% of the company has been floated so his ability to own Flybe would need him to jump through a large number of hoops all in a row before it becomes possible.

Daysleeper
16th Oct 2011, 10:03
Why are the mods not being done at the factory ??

While I know nothing about these specific aircraft or what the mods might be it is not unusual for customer mods or options to only be done after delivery.

Examples would be Boeing 767 winglets - you take delivery of a brand new $200m+ aircraft at Seattle then do one flight to where-ever it is they take a disc cutter to the wing for 16-20 days. Or the crew rest area on the 777 fleet, one flight from Seattle and into the hanger for several weeks to fit that customers specific choice.

An analogy would be wanting a particular car stereo that Ford don't offer. Once you own the car you can go and rip the dash apart as you please but Ford are hardly going to let you do it in the factory.

learjet50
16th Oct 2011, 13:49
Thanks for your comments

A/C unlike Cars cant be modified with the approval of the manufacturer and the CAA

EMB will not permit mods to there a/C without there approval which has to be also aapproved by the CAA

You cant add?put bits on a/c without approval

Regards

AirLCY
16th Oct 2011, 14:36
The Flybe aircraft have been sitting in Brazil for months when other airlines aircraft have been delivered. I do not believe it's a mod.

Daysleeper
16th Oct 2011, 14:59
Without total thread drift (too late!)... the original delay was attributed to finance. The latest delay, according to posts here, is the aircraft needing mods before operating for Flybe. I neither know nor care if either or both of these is true.
However, posters expressed surprise that these mods could not have been incorporated at the factory while waiting for the finance to be sorted. I was pointing out that certain customers (and certain CAAs) require non standard changes to brand new aircraft before they enter revenue service. I provided 2 examples, winglets and crew rest. Neither are Flybe but both are G reg aircraft, customer options that the manufacturer would not incorporate on the build line. The manufacturers often do not want to include these in production because it stuffs up the build cycle and adds complexity.
If your finance is delayed the aircraft sits “complete” until you pay. Now you can collect the aircraft, but on your critical path to service entry may still be weeks of “mods” that you haven’t been able to commence work on.

Perhaps my car radio analogy wasn’t the best one. But the point remains, if you want to change things you can’t start doing so until you own it!

akerosid
16th Oct 2011, 16:49
Are these mods any different from those on the 195 fleet? Surely it can't be anything that different to the existing fleet.

Sounds like a bit of a Catch 22 situation!

Lord Spandex Masher
16th Oct 2011, 17:04
Maybe they're taking the air stairs out and putting smaller engines on before EIS.

:E

clareview
16th Oct 2011, 17:20
Modifications after taking delivery are quite common - for example, the BA777-300s are delivered from Boeing to BA at Cardiff for modifications before entry to service. It usually only takes a few days however.

Alexander de Meerkat
18th Oct 2011, 00:03
Can someone please tell me what happened to that very interesting thread about Stelios buying FlyBE? It appears to have disappeared!

boguing
18th Oct 2011, 00:09
Errm. I thort that it was BMI?

Daza
31st Oct 2011, 00:17
Hi Flybe guys!!
Does anyone in the know have any idea if Flybe will operate flights to France ex BHX as they have this Summer? Im hoping to go BHX-BOD and the don't seem to have released BHX French routes except Avignon.
Daza

devon_guy
31st Oct 2011, 09:17
Apparently the timetables are still being finalised.

Daza
31st Oct 2011, 16:36
Cheers for that devon_guy!!
Daza

jetstreamtechrecords
1st Nov 2011, 21:12
BRS-JER being reduced. BRS -IOM being chopped out: announcement imminent E

Cloud1
1st Nov 2011, 22:04
BRS-JER is always reduced for winter, and the BRS-IOM is summer only. Care to elaborate on this so called announcement JTR???

NorthernCounties
1st Nov 2011, 22:06
Any word if be will return to ldy? Their twitter page stated no decision has been made yet...

jerboy
1st Nov 2011, 23:44
JER-LGW down to only 4 daily as well. Is it always that low through the winter? Seems a bit of a drop considering its been up to 7 daily in the past (although I'm not sure about this summer).

J-Guy
2nd Nov 2011, 09:07
JER-LGW down to only 4 daily as well. Is it always that low through the winter?

The JER-LGW schedule is a bit of a mix this winter. It ranges between 3 and 5 daily flights on different days. The route always operated as 4 daily before the extra flights were added a couple of years back, so we're back in the same position really.

BOHEuropean
2nd Nov 2011, 11:05
The Jersey E95 is often used for Winter charters ex- LGW during the weekend, not so sure about during the week - so this could account for some of the loss of services.

Bookings are low this winter, so I guess frequencies will naturally drop anyway on certain routes.

jetstreamtechrecords
2nd Nov 2011, 15:46
Cloud1 "BRS-JER is always reduced for winter, and the BRS-IOM is summer only." is not right. BRS IOM is currently on sale for this winter... tho not for much longer I hear. Lots of changes to come.

BE and Logie will not just sit back and watch while Scotlands New Airline is created out of BMIR:cool: Their plans gotta be to free up more aircraft to attack BMIR routes PDQ - as well as finding frames for SA. The last thing BE want is some new invigorated competition for the UK regional market. Mr Lake in Humberside not keen on the idea either:ok:

so watch for the BE reorganisation news with a few planes heading North of the border. I think they call it parking tanks on BMIs lawn ready for a scrap.:ouch:

Richard Taylor
2nd Nov 2011, 16:50
Presumably that lawn being ABZ?

IOMspotter
2nd Nov 2011, 17:31
IOM BRS and IOM SOU loads are really bad at the moment no argument but theres no news of them being chopped out here yet. Last winter BE cut the routes even with the loads much bigger than this year. None of us can work it out.:hmm: Maybe BE managers are all in Finland partying:E

akerosid
2nd Nov 2011, 17:59
Any updated arrival date for the 175s?

ib26uk
2nd Nov 2011, 19:33
Akerosid

I flew on 6 flybe flights in October and asked the same question each time and got the same answer that flybe ( cabin crews ) were not sure when they would be recieving the 175s !!!

I`m asking a question now - Is Flybe swapping a dash8 for a E175 on a like for like basis with the plan being that they will have an eventual all Embraer fleet ?

Aero Mad
2nd Nov 2011, 19:37
I don't think there is much point asking anymore - the date you get will most likely get pushed back again and again. They'll arrive when they'll arrive and it will be a pleasant surprise.

Cloud Surf
2nd Nov 2011, 22:26
Maybe they have realised they made a colossal mistake ordering them? :suspect: On a serious note, I have always thought that the reason flybe transformed into a national player from a relatively small airline was because of the Q400. Surely going back to jets whether they are more advanced then the old 146's or not is a backwards step?

Geo73
2nd Nov 2011, 22:54
Guernsey Airport pushback

Channel Island manager Ian Taylor was on the BBC Channel Islands news this evening complaining about Guernsey Airport starting nose in parking and the cost implications for Flybe that it will have to pass on to the travelling public.

Now lets look at the destinations served by Flybe from Guernsey...

London Gatwick - pushback
Southampton - pushback
Birmingham - pushback
Exeter - pushback
Jersey - pushback

Why should Guernsey be any different Mr Taylor?

JobsaGoodun
2nd Nov 2011, 23:02
Well I guess everything will be fine providing GCI don't put up their fees to cover the cost of the investment in pushback stands, and providing there isn't increased congestion.

Aero Mad
2nd Nov 2011, 23:18
As with the runway, it might just be Flybe trying to blame Guernsey Airport and in this case trying to make an extra bob or two from it.

tin canary
3rd Nov 2011, 17:25
Or could it be that he has a valid point. Flybe will have to purchase a push back tug and bars and training will be required for the ground staff to do the pusback, also more staff involved - driver, comms guy and at least one wingman, maybe two as the stands will be close together.

Also, there will be more congestion at peak times, for example, 3 a/c are all due out at 0700. I'm sure there will be delays while you wait for the one that has pushed to complete his checks and taxi away.

Mrs Overall
4th Nov 2011, 08:32
Tin Canary, The purchase of the push back gear will be down to the handling agent & not Flybe. No doubt Flight Support - the handling agent - have a few relics lying around somewhere that they can ship down to GCI, knowing the company I also doubt that any equipment will be new.
However Flybe will incur extra charges for this service, but no more than at any other airport with nose in parking.

mathers_wales_uk
4th Nov 2011, 11:47
The handling agent will indeed purchase the pushback tug and pushback bar for the Dash8-Q400. However this will come at a cost to the handling charges of the airline at Guernsey.

All additional costs for this type of operation will be passed on to the airline.

Purchasing new pushback bars
Purchasing or transportation of pushback tug(s) to the island.
Fuel costs for the pushback tug(s)
Maintenance of the pushback equipment.
Training costs for pushback drivers & headstet training.

The costs of purchasing equipment is not cheap as they are specialised. The handling agent will not absorb these additional costs as it may be what is the difference between a profitable and non profitable base as airlines search for lowest handling fees possible.

Could the additional costs then have a knock on effect that some marginal routes may now be operating at a loss due to the added fees if Flybe absorb. Or this could be passed on to passengers who then may not choose Flybe due to the increase costs. This may mean that a route will also be a loss making one due to lack of demand.

It is very complicated business and nothing is for free these days and costs do get passed on to the customer be it airline or passenger.

Aero Mad
4th Nov 2011, 19:22
If you look, the money for tugs is actually being paid for by the States of Guernsey as part of the £6m budget. No price being passed onto airlines - so why is Flybe complaining?

Lord Spandex Masher
4th Nov 2011, 19:56
AM, for the first two years anyway. Let's not forget that Flybe are self handling in Guernsey so this will be an additional cost to their operation.

Cloud1
4th Nov 2011, 22:58
BE are not self handling in GCI - they use Flight Support

Lord Spandex Masher
4th Nov 2011, 23:04
Well they used to be. Whatever. Using a tug still generates higher handling fees.

delta154
4th Nov 2011, 23:09
I've done a quick scan and couldn't see it posted so apologies if it has been posted.

flybe.ee will operate the AY937/8 HEL-MAN-HEL on Saturdays using a Finncom E170.

AY3757 HEL 1600 MAN 1700 op by BE
AY3758 MAN 1750 HEL 2235 op by BE

PeteAndre
5th Nov 2011, 11:23
As usual FlyBE are crying "wolf" before they have seen it. Push back is to be introduced at GCI for a 2 year period while aprons are reconstructed (runway too in fact). The tractors and operators are being paid for as part of the budget for the work. Previous posts showing GCI is the only airport served by FlyBE not using pushback are also relevant...I have noticed too that at Bristol (where both types of parking are available), it is usual to see their DASH 8 nose in - in front of the terminal.

mathers_wales_uk
5th Nov 2011, 12:36
There is also the additional factor of pushing back aircraft takes longer so it is harder to make-up the odd minute r two for delays.

They also maybe concerned that after this 2 years period Guernsey may decide to keep the nose-in rule enforced but then remove their commitment of funding it by themselves.

scr1
5th Nov 2011, 13:50
Previous posts showing GCI is the only airport served by FlyBE not using pushback are also relevant

No it is not. their is no pushback at INV

Jack1985
5th Nov 2011, 13:55
Given that flybe perform reasonably well from Jersey im wondering how they havent started competing with Aer Lingus on the Dublin route ? DUB operates 3x weekly with A320 equipment from Mar to Oct, suprised they havent considered the route. I do remember them serving Guernsey from DUB but shorly JER is a better option?

Geo73
5th Nov 2011, 15:17
mathers_wales_uk

Once nose-in parking is enforced it will be here for good, there will be no going back to the old ways.

After the 2 years that the States of Guernsey have agreed to fund pushbacks have passed it will be up to the individual airlines/handling agents to cover the cost.

Lord Spandex Masher
5th Nov 2011, 15:28
No it is not. their is no pushback at INV

AGP, BZR, PUF, EGC, LIG, ORY, DUS...

Otto Throttle
5th Nov 2011, 16:56
Lots of places that don't do pushbacks, It tends to be more of a lurch, a weave and then a sudden jerk. :}

Wycombe
6th Nov 2011, 21:19
SOU-TUF (Tours) showing on the route map, but nothing in the on-line timetable yet - another Regional French route?

Cloud Surf
6th Nov 2011, 21:56
You would think Flybe doesn't realise that there are other countries other then France! I think the market is pretty well covered at Southampton now. Glad another airline is coming in to serve the routes that stick out like a saw thumb. Incidently, anyone know why Flybe serve Orly at Southampton? Its CDG on the rest of their network.

TCAS FAN
9th Nov 2011, 17:02
Here we are in almost mid November, where are the 175's promised for the summer schedule?

JAR
9th Nov 2011, 17:42
"First four Embraer E175s due for delivery in Q3 2011/12"

- from today's half yearly report

Serenity
9th Nov 2011, 23:15
Won't see them this side of Xmas then!!

Very nice for all the E Jet crews that outnumber aircraft and sit around on stby for weeks on end!!
Meanwhile dash crews keep working their ass off!!
Pax keep going elsewhere!!
:ugh:

jetstreamtechrecords
10th Nov 2011, 07:46
Flybe passengers did not alert crew to lost wheel
by Gareth Robertson November 10th, 2011

Passengers that saw a wheel fall of a Flybe flight earlier this year did not immediately report the incident to cabin crew, a new report has said.

The report comes via the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) regarding an incident in March when a wheel had come lose and fallen off a small Flybe aircraft just after it took off from Exeter airport for Newcastle. The plane later landed safely at Exeter using its emergency brake and a heavy amount of right rudder, according to the pilot. No injuries were reported.

Now the new AAIB report has said that the wheel had come lose due to the seizure of its outer bearing and that passengers had watched it come off of the plane but did not report what they had seen to the crew. Instead, controllers contacted the pilot and asked the senior stewardess to assess the right landing gear from the window, at which point passengers informed her that the wheel had come off.

Flybe’s chief pilot and the captain of the plane then agreed via radio that the flight would return to Exeter airport and would perform a ‘left wing down’ landing technique to ensure the aircraft’s weight was shifted primarily to the wheels that remained in tact.

According to the AAIB, crewmembers had done a visual inspection of the plane before takeoff but the agency said that abnormalities in the bearing would not have been visible.

JobsaGoodun
10th Nov 2011, 07:46
I guess that theory would only work if the reason for the delay rests with the manufacturer. On the basis that no lease has been offered or provided, perhaps one can assume that the issues surrounding the delay lie elsewhere, and are not with Embraer?

jijpc
10th Nov 2011, 18:05
Given that the financial year for flybe is 1st April - 31st March (I think) then Q3 2011/12 is actually between 1st October and 31st December 2011, so maybe before Christmas.

davidjohnson6
11th Nov 2011, 17:14
This week Mark Chown was given a new job of head of acquisitions and corporate strategy along with a big press release that Flybe wanted to be a consolidator of the regional airline industry in Europe. Has the takeover of the Finnish operation all been bedded in smoothly already or is this just a case of one person looking a year or mord ajead while the rest oc the organisation tries to absorb and digest what it's only recently taken on ?

PaulJ1957
13th Nov 2011, 21:08
Interim Results 2011 (6 months to September 30th 2011)
I’ve given these a good looking over and summarise below the key points as I see them (apologies if I’ve got anything wrong, but I’ve tried to get in the detail from what’s available publically and hope I’ve interpreted everything accurately)
Overall
Bearing in mind the overall economic backdrop and the recent profit warnings (which are more to do with future years’ profitability) , I think there’s some real positives within them.
Depending on which measure of last year’s profit is used for comparison purposes, then a review of the current year’s profits can give apparently conflicting interpretations on results.
If the 2011 first half profits are compared to the “unadjusted” profits for last year, the performance looks very strong with “EBITDAR” (the preferred measure of profits) up 9.1% to £60.9m and Profit before Tax up 74.4% to £14.3m.
However if a truer comparison is made to last year by adding back the £11.6m [published results] cost of the volcanic costs in 2010, then the 2011 results are actually worse than last year’s with the Profit Before Tax showing a £5.5m (28%) reduction [my calculation], and EBITDAR a similar (if not slightly larger) reduction.
This apparent downturn however is due , I think, to a couple of key issues.
· The loss of c£5.9m revenue from the Olympic contract.
· An initial £0.5m loss re Finland (to be expected with initial start up costs etc)

In my opinion these 2 are the key factors affecting the results, and once these are allowed for the results really are not too bad at all!

Other points [ obtained from accounts or co presentation] are a series of pluses and minuses which after a degree of netting out are a net positive too

Other financial points
· UK ticket revenue up by £19m (7.7%)
· Average ticket yield up 2.6%
· Ancillary revenue shows very strong growth, being £6.1m higher (11.7%) and ancillary yield passenger up 6.3%
· Seats flown 3.2% higher
· Passengers flown up 0.2m to 4.2m
· Load factor up from 64.0% to 65.6%:)
· The above partly more than offset the increases in fuel.
· Taking all the above together operating costs per seat increased by 1.6% whereas revenue per seat increased by 5.8%:):)
· fuel efficiency has continued to improve with 15.9 kgs of fuel being consumed for each suit flown (last year 16.2kgs0. A great performance when fuel costs are so much higher.
· Cash flow is good. Balance sheet is strong.

A few miscellaneous bits and pieces
· In the company’s own words “ a satisfactory” first half. Personally, after allowing for the impact of the reduction in the Olympic revenue, I believe it’s better than that but do agree some caution is needed.
· The future is said to be “challenging” but when taking into account management actions the Board is given “confidence both in the long term future as well as ensuring we optimise our results for the current year”.

My own view is that it’s a so far so good for this year…a lot of challenges clearly ahead but to me (and I don’t work for the company nor have any inside knowledge) it seems as if the management are doing a good job.
Apologies if any of my analyses are wrong, but my guess is that the management of the company do read these posts and can correct (from public information) anywhere my calculations or interpretations are wrong.

G-FLYB
24th Nov 2011, 06:06
Flybe | Corporate | Media | News archives (http://www.flybe.com/corporate/media/news/1111/24.htm)

Still indicating the wrong post time - posted at 15:12

SWBKCB
24th Nov 2011, 08:15
This all seems very odd - the MEN article has the following quote, but it is not normal prctice to have the finance in place before you aircraft sitting around fully painted for several months??

Jim French, chairman and chief executive of Flybe, said the deal was a 'significant' vote of confidence in the airline and sends out a 'very clear message' that the business is in robust financial health.

"In the current challenging economic environment, I believe this very significant financing is a great testament to Flybe's recognised strength within the aviation finance community," he added.

Serenity
24th Nov 2011, 09:15
20. What happened to the other 15??

Aero Mad
24th Nov 2011, 14:03
Flybe Secures $500M Financing For 20 New Embraer E175 Jet Aircraft - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20111124-705216.html) and Flybe secures £322m for 20 new jets | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/business/s/1466028_flybe-secures-322m-for-20-new-jets-)

We might at last see the 175s then!! ;)

Lord Spandex Masher
24th Nov 2011, 14:22
Pete, two leaving tomorrow or the day after. The other two probably when the crews manage to get back to Brazil again.

OltonPete
24th Nov 2011, 20:39
WingoWango

quote "them".

Are all four coming over together?

One GDS showing the first routes as CDG-MAN twice daily from 7/12 and
Hanover on the evening. Another one the same day doing BHX-DUS x 3.

Monday 12/12 shows Inverness - Gatwick and the 4th I can't find but was
originally 3 x MAN-DUS.

I know these systems are never accurate and if you check the BA code-share
on DUS and Air France on CDG then it they show the 175 a few days earlier.

Pete

ALLMCC
25th Nov 2011, 04:14
The CAA website shows G-FBJA and 'C as registered on the 23/11.

OltonPete
25th Nov 2011, 10:56
Thank you for all your replies.

Just to clarify what GDS shows at present.

175 - MAN-CDG-MAN 06.50 7/12 followed by MAN-CDG-MAN-HAJ-MAN

175 - BHX-DUS-BHX 07.00 7/12 followed by two more DUS rotations

175 - INV-LGW-INV on 12/12/11 three daily in the week

175 - MAN-DUS-MAN x 3 daily in the week starting 1/1/12

The displaced 195 from Inverness starts GLA-BHX 2/1/12 daily then 3 daily

I suppose all subject to change now that a firm date for the first two is known.

The last two days has seen BHX with four based 195's!

Pete

davidjohnson6
26th Nov 2011, 10:41
I note that (amongst others), the Birmingham-Bordeaux, Birminghan-Toulouse and Southampton-Pau routes which were flown in summer 2011, do not appear to be listed for 2012.

Have all summer 2012 routes now gone on sale implying that these 3 routes have been dropped, or are there still a few more routes yet to be released for summer 2012 ?

EMX81L
26th Nov 2011, 12:20
Incoming!!

Photos: Embraer ERJ-170-200LR 175LR Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Flybe---British/Embraer-ERJ-170-200LR-175LR/2021355/&sid=32c96ecce4b423e49f3c1497163e53be)

OltonPete
26th Nov 2011, 12:28
Reports that both have left LPA inbound Exeter 14.30-15.15.

davidjohnson6

Yes, shame about BHX-BOD especially as they got the numbers most months and fares did not seem that cheap when I looked but I suppose there are other factors in their decision.

I have not actually looked at the revised summer schedule to see if it is finalised but the reduction in French flight frequencies is very noticeable but loads on some were certainly "soft" in May, June and September before even considering yields.

Peter

Yak97
27th Nov 2011, 08:52
Whats this all about? (From CAA OF2 No. 2030)

LICENCE REVOKED
GTB 95 Issued to Flybe Limited to operate a scheduled passenger service between Guernsey and Manchester.

Ringwayman
27th Nov 2011, 09:22
probably done by Guernsey to protect Aurigny

Geo73
27th Nov 2011, 10:42
The licence was revoked as Flybe did not operate the service this year, they only wanted to operate it when it suited them.

Aurigny have been operating a year round service for a number of years.

Cloud1
27th Nov 2011, 11:20
Partly correct, BE like any other airline that needs to make money operated the service during the summer only. Flybe and Aurigny had operated head to head on the GCI MAN as they do on the GCI LGW but demand meant that BE only wished to operate a summer service when more people opted to travel to the Island. During the winter months there were not sufficient numbers to justify two operators on the route.

Good luck to SI who now operate on it too!

GCI is a very backward operation

Aero Mad
27th Nov 2011, 11:28
I really have to disagree with you that GCI is a 'backward operation'. By the way, SI only compete on JER - MAN, not from GCI.

The reason for the withdrawal is that Flybe are very selective as to when they run the route, see here (http://news.ebookers.com/news/flybe-to-suspend-guernsey_manchester-airport-flights/919/) for a story on their out of the blue 2008 suspension. Then they complained about a lack of open skies policy when their license was withdrawn. We don't have room for cherry-picking in Guernsey and Alderney, and Aurigny generally serve those communities very well well. As such, they are rewarded for it and Flybe should either be more consistent over the winter months or they shouldn't complain.

The Isle of Man is currently suffering at the hands of the locos and an open-skies policy - whilst easyJet has taken the NW England market by storm, the routes to Blackpool and Manchester have suffered by consequence. Flybe has cut capacity to the island severely... there are some places where the approach simply doesn't work.

GCILover
27th Nov 2011, 12:32
You can't blame flybe really. If it was viable to run year round or a higher frequency then they would do so.
If it doesn't make money they cut it. They are a business after all. Flybe will never win where Aurigny is concerned. The only reason why they wouldn't let the 195 into GCI is because it would make Aurigny suffer. It was nothing to do with the runway.

If Aurigny wanted to bring in a jet would they be stopped....probably not. If aurigny wanted to compete on a flybe route, would they be stopped, probably not.

I have booked alot of flight to LGW from GCI with Flybe lately, yes they have delays, as all airlines do but on the dates i've needed, Aurigny have never beat them on price, not even if I book a bag and all the extras

I'm still paying for Aurigny anyway if I use them or not. Every tax payer in Guernsey is. Any other airline in their situation would have folded by now

Ayline
27th Nov 2011, 16:57
I think you will find that Aurigny was on the route before Flybe so therefore Flybe was granted a licence to compete with Aurigny despite Aurigny already operating a 2 x daily service. There has been no sign of Flybe on the Manchester route for some time now (including summer services). It is just a question of an unused licence being revoked. Blue Islands was also allowed to compete with Aurigny on both the Jersey and Alderney routes. I for one am quite happy as a tax payer to support Aurigny - better that than the fate of those living in the southwest when the main sole operator (or sole operator in the case of Plymouth) decides to close down its operation. It is funny that sometimes the people who complain about the Guernsey tax payer having to help support Aurigny are not always Guernsey tax payers. There was overwhelming support recently from the public in Guernsey to keep the company state owned rather than sell it to Blue Islands. Having said all of the above I am a supporter of Flybe and I have used them several times this year and Guernsey would be alot worse off without them. What you don't want is one operator having everything their own way.

guern123
27th Nov 2011, 17:07
I fully agree. I recently priced up a return trip GCI to LGW with both airlines Flybe were cheaper even with bags. Yes Aurigny give you free baggae your ticket price is always more anyway so you ARE paying for it. What people who dont use this route also dont also realise is the difference in aircraft. Many times I have been on the red eye flight with Flybe and we have departed 5-10 minutes after the Aurigny ATR and landed at gatwick before them. Another issue i have with Aurigny is when you arrive at gatwick they open check in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before your flight. So if you do have cases you have to cart them around with you. The dash (Flybe) is also so much quieter than the ATR. As for the state yes they totally favour Aurigny BECAUSE THEY OWN THEM. It is a total farce the way they handle licences. As for the manchester route Flybe use to operate at midday whereas Aurigny operated early and lates. Blue Islands get around this by putting people on a Guernsey to Jersey interisland flight and then transfer them to the Jersey to Manchester flight. (They also do this on their London City route as they were not given a licence for this as well seeing as in would interfere with Aurignys gatwick route). Unfortunately Flybe cant do this why? BECAUSE THE STATES DONT LET THEM SELL GUERNSEY TO JERSEY TICKETS except 24 hrs in advance as Aurigny run that route. The sooner we get an open skies policy the better. What they need to realise is if one airline pushes another off the route and then hikes their prices up another airline will come in.

GCILover
27th Nov 2011, 18:00
you can book an inter island flight with flybe in advance now. I did it myself a few months ago. Once again they were the cheapest. The 175's are starting to arrive in the next couple of days. the 1st 26 are apparently replacing dashes as they leave the fleet. As soon as the GCI runway is done, I give it a matter of days before one is based on the rock

guern123
27th Nov 2011, 18:44
The sooner the better for the Guernsey Jet Service. Im sure your right GCI lover. After booking recently with Flybe i was sent an e-mail asking to do a survey. It was aimed at Guernsey residents and questions highly pointed at how they could better the Blue Islands / Aurigny services including how much would you like to see the Jet back. Im sure these surveys went out Flybe users with rewards accounts and im also sure 99% of them always try to use flybe and would have put YES we want a jet service back.

ALLMCC
27th Nov 2011, 19:14
Does anyone know if BHD is likely to get any based 175s?

Aero Mad
27th Nov 2011, 19:48
they wouldn't let the 195 into GCI is because it would make Aurigny suffer. It was nothing to do with the runway.The anti-jet argument doesn't really work as BE were freely allowed their 146s in and out of GCI, and there has been no objection to the 175. Whilst the 195 probably wouldn't have had a problem in practice, its requirements were on paper more than what the runway could provide... after next year's rebuilding of the apron and main strip, this could change everything and 195s might become regulars.

London City route as they were not given a licence for thisguern123, when you say that they weren't given the licence you're wrong - they never applied. The States of Guernsey would have welcomed an LCY link as it does not tread on anyone else's toes. Also, when you complain of the standards of the ATR 72-500s, many people would say that the older Dash 8s are rather more rickety (landing gear etc.) - it's a matter of opinion really. The reason the States don't like BE on GCI - JER is because 78 seaters don't allow for the regular service which SI and GR provide; smaller aircraft on higher frequencies give more choice for the consumer.

Nobody wants a monopoly but what we have currently is a system which favours having as many links as possible; eg. SI's GCI - BRS application was turned down because GR loads are already poor and BE's GCI - MAN licence was withdrawn because they haven't flown the route for years!

Cloud1
27th Nov 2011, 21:48
I really have to disagree with you that GCI is a 'backward operation'. By the way, SI only compete on JER - MAN, not from GCI.

The reason for the withdrawal is that Flybe are very selective as to when they run the route, see here (http://news.ebookers.com/news/flybe-to-suspend-guernsey_manchester-airport-flights/919/) for a story on their out of the blue 2008 suspension. Then they complained about a lack of open skies policy when their license was withdrawn. We don't have room for cherry-picking in Guernsey and Alderney, and Aurigny generally serve those communities very well well. As such, they are rewarded for it and Flybe should either be more consistent over the winter months or they shouldn't complain.

Well, it is my opinion. I feel that the States of Guernsey are something of a joke as well. Whether you agree or not is up to you :ok:

Flybe are a company, not a charity, and as such need to make money through fares and ancilliary revenue. They are not subsidised as are other airlines and therefore 'cherry picking' routes is what enables them to serve these communities in the long run. By operating a route all year long that makes no money, the airline could well end up making heavy losses and that said community could lose the airline and its routes all together. This wont happen to Aurigny though as the States will always bail them out if they needed to using the tax payers money I expect.

Anyway, the license has been revoked and thats it. Just wanted to clarify that its not a case of BE operating any routes when it suits them, more when demand allows.

I cannot comment on the E195 bit because I do not know the ins and outs. I was aware that the E175 was granted approval but this was stopped because of yet another disagreement between the States and BE. Considering that BE have been in GCI for years, and has had a big impact on enabling the airport to develop, it is a shame that there is not more (apparent) support and a constructive relationship between the two.

As for rickety planes, I am unsure as to what you mean exactly when you refer to the Landing Gears. I can only assume you are referring to the problems that happened a couple of years ago which didnt actually have any direct link to BE. So irrelevant really. However some of the older Q400's are being phased out as the company had intended - the average age of the fleet is still very young all things considered.

Does anyone know if BHD is likely to get any based 175s?

It is quite possible but the first 4 have already been allocated to MAN, INV & ABZ. I believe the 5th will be BHX and then after that, not sure. BE have always said that with the right aircraft it would open up European expansion from BHD. Whether this goes ahead following WW arrival who knows.

Whispering Giant
27th Nov 2011, 22:28
First 2 of the Flybe 175's arrived yesterday 26/11 into Exeter and are currently sat northside(by the old A30) awaiting to go into the hanger for the mod's to take place.

W.G

Ayline
27th Nov 2011, 22:45
Following completion of the works to the runway and aprons, Guernsey Airport will be able to accept A320s, EMB175s and EM195s. There will be 3 or 4 stands available to accept aircraft of that size. Obvious there will still be a range issue owing to the length of the runway.

As regards operating routes for part of a year, that is fine. German flights etc only operate in the summer season. Living on an island is different to airports in the UK as the airport here is a lifelife and therefore it is essential that there is an airline prepared to operate year round services for without these we would be stuck on this piece of land of 25 square miles! If we have to provide financial support to an airline to guarantee a year round service then it is a price we have to pay, we have no choice as the business community relies on it.

Geo73
28th Nov 2011, 17:29
I cannot comment on the E195 bit because I do not know the ins and outs. I was aware that the E175 was granted approval but this was stopped because of yet another disagreement between the States and BE. Considering that BE have been in GCI for years, and has had a big impact on enabling the airport to develop, it is a shame that there is not more (apparent) support and a constructive relationship between the two.

It is complete rubbish about the States stopping the E175, they were quite happy for Flybe to use it, it was Flybe who pulled the plug on it.

Flybe made a big fuss about Guernsey being the first place to get the E175 with adverts in the local press and on the web, then they changed their mind.

Cloud1
28th Nov 2011, 22:03
Come on Geo, read the post before arguing back will you. I said it was a disagreement between the States and BE - I didnt say it was the States fault did I. However I do recall something coming up about the apron and this being an issue for the Embraer - cant remember the details though or whether indeed this was accurate.

Aero Mad
29th Nov 2011, 06:28
Cloud1, there has never been a disagreement between the States and BE regarding the 175. Flybe are clear to restart jet operations whenever they wish in GCI.

Geo73
29th Nov 2011, 17:36
Cloud1, all I am trying to point out to you is that there is no disagreement between Flybe and the States of Guernsey regarding the E175, they could start using it tomorrow if they so wished.

Serenity
30th Nov 2011, 07:38
Hear of a second major decompression on a dash in as many months!

TechProblem
1st Dec 2011, 04:51
The first flight it would been will be the BE 3123 pm the 7th December from MAN to CDG.

A week today! :D

virginblue
1st Dec 2011, 10:32
Why are Be putting the E75 on the DUS-BHX/MAN routes first? These are not the longest of routes in the network. Is it because they need the additional ten seats as there is more demand than the Q400 can handle or is it because Lufthansa is giving the BE prop operation on those routes a run for their money with the CR9 jets?

TechProblem
6th Dec 2011, 05:00
As far as im aware Virgin, The 175 will operate MAN-CDG-MAN-CDG-MAN-HAJ-MAN.

No metion of DUS, and that would be a bit silly with the loads out of MAN.

TP

OltonPete
6th Dec 2011, 12:27
virginblue

flybe are up against jets on BHX-DUS and MAN - DUS and despite the low load factors the BHX service is alleged to be more than profitable although I don't have no evidence to back that up with.

You would think BHX-MXP and BHX-STR would be the first to get the 175 due to the range especially the former but look at the current competition on those routes.......yes none and I assume that is the reason.

BHX's first 175 is inbound now and I assume it is all go for tomorrow 3 x BHX-DUS-BHX.

Pete

GoEDI
6th Dec 2011, 15:05
BHX's first 175 is inbound now and I assume it is all go for tomorrow 3 x BHX-DUS-BHX.

It's operating BHX-EDI-BHX-EDI-BHX this evening. Should be about to land in EDI assuming there was no last minute changes.

OltonPete
6th Dec 2011, 17:29
GoEDI

Yes back at BHX now on BE852.

I assume that BE849 was the first commercial flight and lets hope for a long
and successful run at flybe? If they are anything like the passengers experience on big brother (195) then it should be a positive addition to the fleet.

Pete

gg190
11th Dec 2011, 11:03
I was at Manchester on Friday night and the last departure of the evening was a Flybe to Southampton, but via Leeds Bradford!?

Any idea on the logic of this route, the aircraft must be in the air all of 10 minutes between MAN and LBA!

chaps2011
11th Dec 2011, 11:10
Probably weather related

Ian B

Chitty
11th Dec 2011, 11:28
it might of been that there was low lodes on the manchester and leeds flights so thay might have put both flights on one plane

gg190
11th Dec 2011, 20:14
Makes sense, I've seen them do that with the Liverpool and Manchester to IOM flights before when they've been an aircraft down.

I kinda of assumed that because it was on the departure board as being via LBA that was the route, not a schedule change to cope with a problem if you get what I mean.

Anodyne
12th Dec 2011, 09:41
Chitty – the idea that airlines cancel/combine flights at short notice just because of low loads is an ‘urban myth’ that crops up from time to time – they don’t, not least because if they did the CAA would get very ‘grumpy’!
Airlines do cancel/combine flights from time to time, but this is for operational reasons such as aircraft being unavailable for technical or weather related problems, or crew unavailability due sickness or going out of hours because of disruption, etc.

kazzie
12th Dec 2011, 10:56
Most of the flights I have seen combined have been due to aircraft tech.. And with Flybe's fleet of Q400's. It happens. quite a bit.

OltonPete
12th Dec 2011, 17:56
Two more delivered today making four per skyliner

The same source has another Q400 leaving the fleet positioning BHX-DUB
yesterday

I assume these two 175's still heading for MAN-DUS and INV-LGW.

Any ideas of when the next few are due and the likely bases?

Pete

PPRuNeUser0176
12th Dec 2011, 20:24
The same source has another Q400 leaving the fleet positioning BHX-DUB yesterday

Arrived at 23.00 (G-JEDJ) to be painted.

JC25
12th Dec 2011, 21:22
I think you'll find that the MAN-DUS will continue on the Q400 for the time being and the E175 will instead operate ABZ-LGW. I assume the MAN-DUS route will get an E175 when the next ones are delivered.

Burpbot
12th Dec 2011, 23:47
BHX will get INV 195 when its replaced with new 175, plus at least one base to turn all jet!

Severn
13th Dec 2011, 10:03
1 Based at BHX (operating 3 x daily DUS)
1 Based at MAN
1 leaving EXT this evening positioning to ABZ
1 leaving EXT this evening positioning to INV

Barling Magna
14th Dec 2011, 10:07
Another thread on this forum celebrates the introduction of flyBE flights between Exter and Norwich. Well done Norwich. It is indeed great to see cross-England flights introduced by serious regional airlines.

Why don't flyBE run an Exeter to Southend service? Essex's population is more than twice that of Norfolk, with three quarters of a million within SEN's immediate catchment - and a certain world city is within fifty minutes train journey too.

I know that flyBE have said that they won't fly from Exeter to London because of the rail link, but SEN isn't London and it does have a viable catchment of its own. Its new terminal, extended runway and improved landing aids should make it an attractive destination for flyBE on routes too thin for EZY....... :)
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=6899737) http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/misc/progress.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.pprune.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=6899737)

JSCL
16th Dec 2011, 08:53
FlyBe receiving a mini-hammering by Rip Off Britain this morning.

Monty Gordo
16th Dec 2011, 09:41
JSCL

Not able to see the programme this morning, what was the basis of the 'rip-off'?

JSCL
16th Dec 2011, 09:52
One passenger moaning about some rewards scheme he accidentally signed up for when booking costing him £15/month. Another about a cancellation due to hospitalisation abroad. They then went on to touch on cc booking fees and price transparency.

Capetonian
17th Dec 2011, 07:38
he accidentally signed up for when booking costing him £15/month.

I haven't made a booking on Flybe's site for a while, the last times I flew it was booked by a client on my behalf, but I remember when I did book on their site it was hard to 'opt out' of certain options which were included by default, and you could therefore include them by accident.

Their pricing is not transparent at all and their website quite confusing. I didn't see the programme but they may well have deserved the hammering they got. Not my favourite airline.

ara01jbb
17th Dec 2011, 09:23
One passenger moaning about some rewards scheme he accidentally signed up for when booking costing him £15/month

I haven't made a booking on Flybe's site for a while, the last times I flew it was booked by a client on my behalf, but I remember when I did book on their site it was hard to 'opt out' of certain options which were included by default, and you could therefore include them by accident.

No, in this instance it is not an opt-out, it is most definitely an opt in. The aforementioned moaner would have completed a booking on flybe.com and been presented with an offer on screen that says "Click here for £10 off your next booking." Said link takes you to a sign up page, into which you have to enter your name and address and tick a box confirming your short free trial of an eventual subscription. Ryanair have at various times had a similar deal with a similar third party company. Daytime TV is the last resort of people who don't read the small print when agreeing to something.

Capetonian
17th Dec 2011, 09:42
I remember that the paid seating selection was an opt-out.

Daytime TV is the last resort of people who don't read the small print when agreeing to something.

Yep, in fact, I'd say Daytime TV is the last resort of people.

OltonPete
21st Dec 2011, 17:22
What is the score with Birmingham, Manchester & Exeter to Budapest?

All three are in the booking engine but no dates bookable?

Are these new routes or just code shares via somewhere (Paris etc).

Pete

mart901
21st Dec 2011, 17:51
Birmingham could really do with it, I dont think theres ever been flights to BUD.

mart901
21st Dec 2011, 18:21
Yeah jet2 do direct from man and launching from lba.

Rivet Joint
21st Dec 2011, 18:41
They are offering it at Exeter and not Southampton? I mean come on is that a joke? Was a time when Flybe started all their new experimental routes down here and last time I heard 1/8th of Southampton was Eastern European so the airport has surely been crying out for a route in that area! Very shabby.

Flightrider
21st Dec 2011, 21:11
This is surely an AF codeshare operation over Paris. Exeter would be included as the Paris service goes into CDG to make the onward connection, but Southampton wouldn't be included as the Paris service goes to Orly, so doesn't make a connection over CDG to the AF Paris-Budapest operation.

Deano777
22nd Dec 2011, 10:38
uncovered

Can you elaborate further please?

Sir George Cayley
22nd Dec 2011, 17:13
Just announced on TV

FlyBe to cease their Manston - EDI service next year.

Manston is also for sale.

SGC

Rivet Joint
22nd Dec 2011, 17:27
I hope your right Flightrider. Anyone know why they still fly to Orly out of Southampton seeing as everywhere else they do CDG? I Know Air France switched it to Orly but surely for commonality and better connections CDG would be a no brainer?

darren1
22nd Dec 2011, 19:08
CDG should be a no brainer as SOU has limited connection opportunities. What we need is KLM to AMS

Burpbot
22nd Dec 2011, 19:37
Hostie 89.

Ejet and ABZ/LGW

But you may get to operate the odd charter or from other bases.

StGermain
23rd Dec 2011, 08:23
A simple fact of operating costs RivetJoint. ORY is cheaper to operate to than CDG, a key factor when deciding a 'low fare' route network. As long as its Paris on the network schedule, FlyBe will be fine with that.

Barling Magna
23rd Dec 2011, 09:04
Sadly, we all predicted this. Why, oh why, won't flyBE fly from SEN - they would get the market they were seeking....

BBC News - Flybe to stop using Manston airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-16308143)

Flybe has said it will not be flying from Manston International Airport in Kent after March.

The airline said it would cease operations there at the end of the winter season.

Flybe spokesman Niall Duffy said: "We tried different routes and the numbers simply weren't there. It's impossible to sustain routes without the passengers."

Flybe launched its Manston to Edinburgh service in May 2010.

Mr Duffy said: "Unfortunately for the Manston services it was just impossible to look at those passenger numbers and think that we could sustain the kind of difficulties we were facing.

"It is fair to say that Manston is one of the airports with the smaller catchment areas in the United Kingdom, and you have Gatwick not too far away."

The airline said passengers booked on flights after March would be contacted by Flybe and offered a full refund or tickets on alternative flights.

JobsaGoodun
23rd Dec 2011, 09:49
St Germain - I'm not sure if cost comes into it. If both CDG and ORY were profitable it would come down to when the best chance to make money would be.

Personally, I imagine that the primary reason for serving ORY rather than CDG is that ORY is more of a business destination. Prior to the codeshare agreement with AF, BE operated CDG and AF, ORY. I very much expect that both routes were analysed to see just where the yield and performance was better.

In respect of connections, I'm not sure this is as relevent given the distance between SOU and LHR. If it we me, I would much rather take a short drive/train to LHR and fly direct than connect over CDG.....have you been to CDG lately??:}

Rivet Joint
23rd Dec 2011, 20:01
I think they probably did look at both Orly and Cdg seeing as they were both being operated to see which was the better deal. Just surprising for an airline to serve Cdg at all its other airports and Orly at just Sou.

guern123
24th Dec 2011, 05:49
On a slightly different matter (not sure where to post this) have been trying to book flybe flights for next year but flybe.com appears not to be working most of yesterday (23rd) and still not working today (24th). Got on once at work yesterday and tried several time from various places including mobile BB to make sure its not my PC. Anyone else having problems?

ALLMCC
24th Dec 2011, 10:01
This message currently appears on their website

"We are currently experiencing intermittent problems with flybe.com. We are doing everything within our capability to ensure that the problem is rectified as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Tonyq
24th Dec 2011, 10:23
I, and others in my family, have tried from several locations and devices since Thursday evening without any sort of success.

Rather than suffering 'intermitent problems' it appears to be totally dead. :ugh:

The updates on social media sites on progress are also nearly 24 hours old.

speedrestriction
24th Dec 2011, 10:50
Just accessed the website with no problems albeit from overseas but don't know of that would make any difference.

Cloud1
24th Dec 2011, 10:56
I was on it ok yesterday and today have managed fine albeit a bit slower than normal - this is why they call it intermitent problems.

LUFTY8898
26th Dec 2011, 18:51
Dear All

Flybe customer services are closed at the moment but I have an urgent question if anyone can help me with.

Flybe customer services informed me earlier today that a 15 year old can travel on their own domestically (In the UK) without photographic id but with a debit card providing they are checked in with an adult at the airport.

Can anyone confirm this is the case as the website implies differently that photographic id is required.

Please reply or PM me.

Many thanks in advance

Lufty8898

CabinCrewe
26th Dec 2011, 19:43
Not sure what bit of the website youre looking at but when I read it is says
"Children under the age of 16 do not need to show ID on domestic routes. The adult they are travelling with can vouch for the infant's/child's identification, providing the relevant photo ID is shown (by the adult). "
Flybe | Cheap flights & budget flights (http://www.flybe.com/flightInfo/id_requirements.htm)

seems pretty clear cut to me

SWBKCB
27th Dec 2011, 06:50
The OP was asking about an unaccompanied minor:

Flybe customer services informed me earlier today that a 15 year old can travel on their own domestically (In the UK) without photographic id but with a debit card providing they are checked in with an adult at the airport.

CabinCrewe's response relates to an accompanied minor

"Children under the age of 16 do not need to show ID on domestic routes. The adult they are travelling with can vouch for the infant's/child's identification, providing the relevant photo ID is shown (by the adult). "

The relevant bit on the FlyBe website seems to support comments from the Flybe customer services

Rules and regulations for unaccompanied children

To be 'accompanied', the companion of a child must be over 16 years of age.

Identification of the escort on departure & escort on arrival will be checked, and the child signed for, in line with current policy.

If a child is not travelling with their parent or legal guardian, he or she must carry their own identification. If no identification is available please contact us. You will need to send a copy of the photo identification from the parents and confirm that the child is travelling with their consent.

Passengers aged between 12 and 16 years who are not travelling as an unaccompanied child require their own photographic identification.

For passengers on international flights a valid passport or national identity card will need to be presented. Other documentation such as a visa should also be sought if required.

LUFTY8898
27th Dec 2011, 10:04
Dear All

Many thanks for the replies which have highlighted the issue.

You can travel unaccompanied on FLYBE if you are over 12 and you do not need to use the escort service which I understand is optional.

The post from cabincrewe relates to children under 16 travelling with adults and is not relevant to this situation.

I believe the comments from SWBKCB related to the FLYBE escorted travel service which again is not relevant to this situation.

Speaking to FLYBE customer services just now they now say that you can not travel with a debit card as ID and you need to travel using the FLYBE escorted travel service.

This situation does not seem to be well explained on the website or at least it has myself and the FLYBE customer services confused.

Kind regards

LUFTY8898

JSCL
27th Dec 2011, 10:23
I've seen a lot of BE cabin crew and:

you do not need to use the escort service

It's not a service id pay them for!

Otto Throttle
27th Dec 2011, 10:36
It seems to be perfectly clear from the 2nd last paragraph from the website as posted by SWBKCB. Your unaccompanied 15 year old needs their own photo ID.

Cloud1
27th Dec 2011, 18:02
The policies seem clear to me -

Passengers aged between 12 and 16 years who are not travelling as an unaccompanied child require their own photographic identification.

I expect that the Customer Services rep, thinking the child didnt have any photo ID, suggested a debit card to ensure they could travel. Unfortunately the second rep felt that this wasnt appropriate and therefore the unaccompanied minor service now needs to be paid for.

Just get the child a citizen card and then you wont have to ask these questions for future BE domestic services.

It's not a service id pay them for!

It is a matter of personal choice. I wouldnt let my child travel on their own out of principle - a 13 year old would not neccesarily feel comfortable if the aircraft had a problem or was diverted to an airport which they had never been to before. At least with the service paid for, the staff have a process in place to deal with them.

BluffOldSeaDog
27th Dec 2011, 18:30
JSCL

I hope you're not making some sort of personal attack on any of my cabincrew with comments like that, are you questioning their ability to carry out their duties? If you aren't could you edit your post, if you are - well I've no wish to post anything further on this thread with people like yourself making such wildly inaccurate and derogatory posts

JSCL
27th Dec 2011, 18:49
BOSD,

Definitely not incapable of doing their job. I was more edging towards their lacking in sexual appeal.

SmilingKnifed
27th Dec 2011, 18:51
So which escort services are you frequenting JSCL? Or are you still relying on your smooth way with words to get the ladies onside? :E

JSCL
27th Dec 2011, 18:53
Definitely the words! Unfortunately, I find I travel Jet2 rarely, so my words often don't get much practice. (I joke)

Facelookbovvered
28th Dec 2011, 05:12
What's the story about a Flybe crew having a bit or a lot of an upset down at CMF a few weeks back. A mate just back from skiing said a group in his chalet had flown into to CMF with Flybe and diverted after a missed approach that was rough, scared sh****ss was how the CC had put it. On his return flight he asked the crew if they had heard anything and they said the flight crew were on leave? Due to busting various speed limits?

Lord Spandex Masher
28th Dec 2011, 11:09
I doubt you'll get an answer to that from anybody who actually knows.

redED
28th Dec 2011, 16:04
Ejet and ABZ/LGW

But you may get to operate the odd charter or from other bases.

And a Dash from the summer although crewed from MAN i presume that'll just be the flight deck.

G-FLYB
28th Dec 2011, 16:44
FLB

Or, perhaps they are on leave because it is Christmas time?

IOMspotter
28th Dec 2011, 19:46
I hear BE are changing there IOM BHX timetable for the summer to base the plane in BHX instead of at Reynoldsway. Anyone know owt?:confused:

OltonPete
28th Dec 2011, 20:30
IOMspotter

Not heard anything at the BHX end of things but that is not too unusual.

However the current BHX summer schedule is quite tight for the nine based
aircraft due to Inverness now operating BHX-INV-BHX rather than INV-BHX-INV.

Also the third BHD departure operates 4 out of 5 weekdays at 11.10 leaving virtually no spare capacity for French destinations, which at present have been greatly reduced with Bordeaux gone, Brest and Bergerac weekly only.

I wonder if they intend to use the IOM aircraft move to BHX to do BHX-IOM-BHX-various French destinations-BHX-IOM.

I have absolutely no idea of the profitability of the BHX French routes but I was shocked at the cutbacks especially Bordeaux as that carried reasonable loads compared to some others.

Also BHX-Lyon is under review by Brit Air/Air France and again is this another destination that flybe might be looking to take-over, which would be ironic if dropped as it is finally bookable on the flybe site having taken a while to get sorted after the announcement of the Air France joint venture?

Pete

Haven't a clue
28th Dec 2011, 20:36
Puzzling move that would be. Their total IoM pax numbers are only 2.5% down to end Nov, despite the rapacious Easyjet gobbling up their northwest traffic. Basing 4 airframes at Reynoldsway gave them huge tactical advantage when one of the Q400's went tech (and that is perhaps now regarded as inevitable these days). So why change a winning formula?

Unles they plan to make IoM all an E175 operation..:D

The central planners know best, of course, but I am amazed at the cut backs we have seen to the January schedules, far beyond those in previous years. Are we as a community sinking that low financially? If so we have bigger worries to deal with than FlyBe scheduling.

Richard Taylor
28th Dec 2011, 21:00
Reading that Flybe are to put a DH8D into ABZ in March, to join the E170.

There's an extra BHX rotation that seems is going to be operated by this aircraft, but anyone know what else Flybe intend to use the 8 for out of ABZ? Presume it is not just there to operate an extra BHX!

Thank you.

learjet50
28th Dec 2011, 21:41
Maybe they are going to operate ABZ-MAN-ABZ

to relieve the MAN A/C ????

Who knows what going on at EXT in the planning Dept (someone does)

It will all come out in the washing ???

jijpc
29th Dec 2011, 17:47
IOM Spotter
I accept that the timetable can be changed, however for summer 2012 it is currently showing a timetable as per now - so IOM - BHX at 0720- and 1800 with returns exBHX at 0850 and 1920.

Given the very iffy reliability when using a BHX based a/c a couple of years ago the current arrangement using an IOM based a/c works well. If there are technical isssues they do have the option to use a BHX a/c by doing the evening schedule in reverse eg BHX-IOM-BHX.

jabird
30th Dec 2011, 01:52
Also BHX-Lyon is under review by Brit Air/Air France and again is this another destination that flybe might be looking to take-over, which would be ironic if dropped as it is finally bookable on the flybe site having taken a while to get sorted after the announcement of the Air France joint venture?

Another site has listed a 25th March end date for that route, but still bookable beyond that.

This may have been mentioned before, but can anyone explain why GLA-CDG is listed as 'direct' - including a pop-up saying 'no stops, no changes', when it is routed via CWL?

Cloud1
30th Dec 2011, 22:43
Erm, it doesnt it says via Cardiff - well during the booking process anyway. It is not a Flybe connection as such so maybe any reference to direct is just a selling point. The passengers do not need to disembark on the GLACDG sector

speedrestriction
31st Dec 2011, 09:36
Or maybe they plan to operate it as a direct route like they tried from BHD a few years ago.

LD12986
10th Jan 2012, 09:30
Flybe Shares Drop on Waning U.K. Sales, Failed Fare Strategy - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-10/flybe-shares-drop-on-waning-u-k-sales-failed-fare-strategy-1-.html)

Flybe Group Plc (FLYB) fell as much as 30 percent after Europe’s biggest regional airline said demand for travel in its main British market is deteriorating and that it had failed to push through planned fare increases.
U.K. domestic sales, which make up about 70 percent of Flybe’s revenue from the country, fell 8 percent in the third quarter ended Dec. 31, with sales last month “particularly disappointing,” the Exeter, England-based company said today.
Chief Executive Officer Jim French has responded to the decline by seeking to maintain market share rather than lift fares. French has said he’s seeking purchases and deals to provide flights for major European carriers seeking to exit regional routes requiring aircraft with fewer than 100 seats.
“All that people might see right now is disappointment, but once the market stabilizes it’s very exciting,” said Andrew Fitchie, an analyst at Investec Securities in London with a “hold” rating on the stock. “There is opportunity there in the medium to long term, but it’s going to be a bumpy ride.”
French said in a statement that it was “the correct decision to protect the long-term potential of Flybe” in securing market position at the expense of yield or fare increases. The company, already Britain’s biggest domestic carrier, boosted its share 2 percentage points, he said.

Boing7117
10th Jan 2012, 12:31
...an overreactive stockmarket and a nervous, twitchy bunch of analysts.

Serenity
10th Jan 2012, 13:12
They have said for ages that the UK domestic market is saturated. About time they expanded their horizons and looked more to Europe??

Lord Spandex Masher
10th Jan 2012, 13:30
Apparently they are. Watch this space for coming European bases. Or base, initially.

Boing7117
10th Jan 2012, 14:32
Can't help but think that last years financial report which talked about the "lost revenue in the region of £12m due to the freak winter weather" has come back to bite us on the backside.

I had hoped Flybe were going to announce we'd done rather well so far in light of the mild winter and perhaps realised a healthier turnover than last winter, but clearly, 8% down on last year? And last year was poor.

Ouch.

Thank goodness we've not had use the deice fluid that much. (...so far!)

jetstreamtechrecords
10th Jan 2012, 15:28
It's getting a bit of a sad tale. Always jam tomorrow. Only thing missing from the excuses was wrong type of snow and leaves on the line:{

Rivet Joint
10th Jan 2012, 17:52
Surprising really. Obviously less people are taking a plane domestically but flybe have the best equipment in the dash so maybe its about time they spread their bets further afield. Some more international routes at Southampton wouldn't go a miss!

Albert Hall
10th Jan 2012, 21:53
Rivet Joint - not really surprising. If you put the B team (and that's being polite) in charge of the main part of the business as the A team goes off to set up the new group venture, you can't expect it to perform as well.

Jetstreamtechrecords - not really surprising either to see you here. One thing which can be said for Flybe is that they have to produce a set of comprehensible accounts, unlike the smoke and mirrors which are filed by a certain airline based in Humberside designed to confuse anyone, even employees. Why you'd keep defending RL when he pays himself £600k a year to run Eastern - more than JF does to run Flybe - is astonishing.

Burpbot
11th Jan 2012, 01:11
Oh and now we have HS2! Do you really think London will farm out extra capacity to BHX and SOU? I bet my last £1 new terminal and runway at LHR opens the same day HS2 becomes live! RIP the regions!!

JSCL
11th Jan 2012, 05:46
Burpbot, I'll have that bet.

Rivet Joint
11th Jan 2012, 12:41
Albert Hall - Well if true you do make a convincing arguement. They could at least try and link their big bases like Southampton, Birmingham, Belfast etc to their new 'venture' in Scandinavia!

Burport - "Oh and now we have HS2!" Either you don't read the news or you just look at the headlines. First of all it has not even been given the full go ahead yet, secondly it will not be with us for 10 years and thats if the countless villages it will run through don't throw numerous spanners in the work (which they are already doing), thirdly you can't rule out a change of government and then scrapping, lastly and maybe most importantly taking the train is sometimes just as expensive as a plane and last time I checked France and Spain have fast trains yet an even bigger air regional network then ours!

redED
11th Jan 2012, 16:48
They could at least try and link their big bases like Southampton, Birmingham, Belfast etc to their new 'venture' in Scandinavia!

I too am surprised especially with their onward connections to the Far East.

Burpbot
11th Jan 2012, 19:29
Fair point! However if the average pax can go BHX-EDI in hour and a half/two hours. Its faster than by air as you jump on jump off no security/check in hassle, plus I presume city centre. With an increase in capacity prices may fall to a fair level, where as Aviation seems to attract more and more crazy tax and legislation so its a matter of time till Domestic air travel will be unviable in both time and cost.

I agree France and Germany have a huge HS system, the distances between major cities however tend to be a lot further, hence air travel is faster for those who time is money.

Where as for example Manchester to almost any major uk city is not going to exceed 3 hours. If you start your journey in central Manchester for a one hour flight, when you factor in getting to/from the airport check in/security etc, then travel from destination airport to city centre its easily going to exceed 3 hours! Hence HS2 if it happens will have a huge impact on domestic aviation.

Cyrano
11th Jan 2012, 19:42
Albert Hall - Well if true you do make a convincing arguement. They could at least try and link their big bases like Southampton, Birmingham, Belfast etc to their new 'venture' in Scandinavia!

Ok, let's see if I understand this. There is it would appear not enough demand to justify a non-stop interlining hub connection from BHD to CDG or to e.g. Frankfurt, both huge hubs from which one can fly to any continent or to a large range of European destinations - but you're suggesting that flyBE should fly a sector that's twice as long in order to connect passengers onto the nice but fundamentally limited range of Asian destinations served from HEL? Why exactly should they "at least try to link" these bases? :confused:

Rivet Joint
11th Jan 2012, 21:16
Burpbot - All good points, I guess it could spell the end to London Birmingham. Although when you look at it on a map, such a route is probably better served by rail given the distance. Doubt it would effect Manchester though, the Eurostar hasn't stopped flights to Paris. Plus train tickets are going up above inflation, this month they did again!

Cyrano - Not really too clued up on the Belfast Market so maybe your right. Southampton and Birmingham would be worth a shot, even just to fill a sector each day.

Burpbot
12th Jan 2012, 00:13
Point been HS2 would make MAN-LHR same travel as BHX-LHR is now! Hence impact regional airlines. Be under no illusion LHR will NEVER allow traffic to leak to BHX or others for extra capcity!

egnxema
12th Jan 2012, 11:40
Rivet Joint

Eurostar has in fact had a massive impact on London - Paris flights. LHR-CDG was dropped years ago by BD, and the A319 most frequently used on the route is a far cry from the 767's which have been known to operate it in the past, pre tunnel.

Additionally, LCY-CDG no longer exists, and LCY-ORY is one of CityJet's poorest performing routes and only kept as a F50 instead of the former RJ's because of AF determination.

Wycombe
12th Jan 2012, 12:58
New Summer Saturday services announced today between NWI-SOU and NWI-IOM. Looks like it will use the a/c (Dornier) that will run the MAN and EXT flights during the week.

News release at Flybe.com Flybe | Corporate | Media | News archives (http://www.flybe.com/corporate/media/news/1201/12.htm)

redED
12th Jan 2012, 16:21
Looks like it will use the a/c (Dornier)

Not the Saab?

chaps2011
12th Jan 2012, 16:24
No Suckling Dornier

Ian

Rivet Joint
12th Jan 2012, 18:23
Burpbot - Good point, guess it will free up extra slots for those Chinese routes they bang on about!

Wycombe - Thats true, although it is probably good that such a route is spread over train, plane and ferry. Plus the people who fly fron Lcy can probably afford the Eurostar!

Good to hear about the Norwich routes, be interesting to see how they do. Incidently, will the Dornier be painted in Flybe colours? If so is Flybe the airline that has had the most regional aircraft in its own colours?

SWBKCB
12th Jan 2012, 20:31
Incidently, will the Dornier be painted in Flybe colours? If so is Flybe the airline that has had the most regional aircraft in its own colours?

If you mean Flybe in its own name, and excluding any of the earlier versions, Loganair beats it easily (EMB145, 175, 195, DHC6, DHC8, BAE146, S340, ATR(?) vs B.18, Skyvan, Islander, Trislander, DHC6, S330, S360, J31, J41, F27, ATP, BAE146, B111 - have they ever op 340's in their own colours??)

GusHoneybun
12th Jan 2012, 20:45
have they ever op 340's in their own colours??

a 340 freighter is based in INV in logie colours.

Wycombe
16th Jan 2012, 17:56
Local news reporting a "coming together" by BE on the ground at SOU today.

Some delays apparently as a result, and no doubt some AAIB paperwork to complete :{

OltonPete
16th Jan 2012, 18:04
Another forum quoting ATI states six new routes to be announced.

BHX-Waterford at daily

Leeds - Knock three a week from 5/5/12

Newcastle - Bergen three a week 25th March

Newcastle - Newquay once a week 5/5/12 same for BHD-NQY

Southampton - TUF (Tours) two a week from 16/5/12

I assume press release tomorrow.

Pete

PPRuNeUser0176
16th Jan 2012, 18:47
BHX-Waterford at daily

Is that not a little to much for the route.

JSCL
16th Jan 2012, 18:48
Wycombe,

Confirmed. Flight to Glasgow on pushback clipped the tail of one to MAN. Both A/C grounded for inspection.

Cloud1
16th Jan 2012, 21:41
BHX-Waterford at daily
Is that not a little to much for the route.
I would say yes on a Q400 - then again, Flybe have been rolling around in bed quite a bit recently with Loganair. Maybe they will operate it in between the DND so a 34seater, maybe daily would be ok. Who knows....

cornishsimon
16th Jan 2012, 22:32
Newcastle - Newquay once a week 5/5/12 same for BHD-NQY

Any ideas what aircraft these are likely to be operated by ?

Fingers crossed some other routes are in the pipeline for NQY, im especially surprised that BE havnt looked at a JER route and its also a shame that the MAN route hasnt been increased in frequency, considering SZ ran the route 2x daily

cs