PDA

View Full Version : FlyBe - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]

mikkie4
26th Mar 2014, 20:27
were will the 2 new SEN based aircraft come from?,SOUTHHAMPTON/EXETER,or another place?

Hangar6
26th Mar 2014, 20:30
Annother place EI FCY and FAZ Dublin

Fairdealfrank
26th Mar 2014, 20:52
If we consider flybe/Stobart Air know what Northern Europe is, then we may be talking about a very few airports: airports in Denmark (EBJ and AAL are the only with no flights to STN), airports on the south west coast of Norway (SVG and BGO) and one airport on the west coast of Sweden (GOT). All these airports mentioned are less than 600 nautical miles from SEN, which I think a maximum leg length should be for the ATR.

Compass point divisions of Europe are a movable feast. For half a century it was an alleged "east-west" (iron curtain) communist/non-communist divide, and much of central Europe was described as "east" Europe.

Now it's a "north-south" divide, linked to the eurozone problems with the "south" in trouble and the "north" (mostly) outside the eurozone.

The whole thing is subjective and movable and a matter of attitude and perception. Let's not get to hung up about it.

Cloud1
26th Mar 2014, 21:15
TCAS_Alert - A personal grudge against the airline is it? Flybe (not Maybe - thats a bit old now and outdated) actually adhere far better than its competitors. I would suggest you have never had justified reason to claim EU legislation otherwise you would have had the Eur250 in your back pocket.

Flybe, for as long as I can recall, have always acted in accordance with EU261 legislation and actually have a very good relationship with the CAA - who oversee adherance to the legislation.

One would suggest that on occasions EU261 claims are turned down because, to put it simply, the passenger is not entitled to it. Flybe are not a charity case and will not cough up money without there being any need to.

From what I understand, the 60:60 is a way of telling passengers that their time is precious and that the airline gets that. No flight will intentionally be delayed without good reason, but if it is you will get something in return. With prices dropping I actually foresee this being a very nice deal for those cheapo tickets. Pay £39 for a one way flight and if its an hour late you may get nearly double your price back - as well as get to your destination.

It certainly is a different way to look at customer service and I know of few airlines that have a similar policy. The only comparible mode of transport is the train where you get your ticket price back if the train is 1/2 (?) or an hour late.

speed13ird
26th Mar 2014, 21:39
And a 60 60 guarantee. Should your flight be over an hour late, due to no fault of FlyBE, you will be given £60 worth of credit for your next FlyBE flight to be used within 30 days

excellent service

tony said,

I have had two such claims (one of which was weather related, and the other a crew issue) met without question by FlyBe in the last 6 months.

Where FlyBe lead, the industry is sure to follow!

Coffin Corner
26th Mar 2014, 23:30
TCAS_Alert

Grow up and get your facts right. Flymaybe? You're not actually that clever, smart or funny, it's actually pathetic. Flybe are actually 3rd in the list of UK operators regarding on time performance, flying nearly 3 x the flights as the two above them. They are also 11th in the whole of Europe.

Lord Spandex Masher
27th Mar 2014, 00:08
I believe the moniker of FlyMaybe is indicative of the public's perception of reliability.

OTP doesn't include those flights which are cancelled, even if they did depart on time initially.

Coffin Corner
27th Mar 2014, 03:30
Ahhh Spandex, the ol' hater of the hand that used to feed him. With over 500 flights per day are you saying that so many of those are cancelled on a daily basis with tech problems after they have left stand? I think not.

Lord Spandex Masher
27th Mar 2014, 10:41
You don't have to be so defensive you two. It's actually pathetic. Although I understand the reason for jumping to the defense of the hand that barely feeds you.

I was pointing out that to counter your FlyMaybe tag using OTP isn't a very good argument.

Coffin Corner
27th Mar 2014, 10:53
Using the flymaybe tag is the pathetic one. The amount of flights that are actually cancelled is negligible. If an aircraft goes tech on the first rotation this will have a knock on effect through the whole day's program purely down to the nature of the flying we do. But the funny thing is our OTP is actually 3rd in the whole of the UK, this is against the top two who do not fly a 3rd of the flights. So OTP is actually a good indicator because if there were problems the OTP would be affected wouldn't it.

For the record the hand that feeds me actually feeds me quite comfortably, thank you. I can pay my mortgage, take my family on holiday more than once per year, I have a nice economical car and I can save a very healthy sum. It's called living within my means :)

Lord Spandex Masher
27th Mar 2014, 11:22
Why, then, does the public refer to you as FlyMaybe?

BFS101
27th Mar 2014, 11:54
In Northern Ireland, haven't heard the FlyMayBE comment in a long long time...

"Oh that's so three years ago" lol

NickBarnes
27th Mar 2014, 12:14
I mean really that saying is so old and pathetic, you could make up names for all the airlines if you had the mental age of a 5 year old which clearly you must be, just another Troll with nothing better to do with his life:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Coffin Corner
27th Mar 2014, 12:22
Why Spandex? Because the ones that do think they're smart, funny, intelligent and clever, but alas we know different. NickBarnes is spot on. You can make up any name for any airline within thirty seconds and make out that you're clever and funny

Lord Spandex Masher
27th Mar 2014, 12:22
Dear Nick, calm down. You'll hurt your head

You can, I hope, see the difference between actually referring to Flybe as FlyMaybe (which I don't and haven't) and asking why the public uses it?

I mean really, I thought we could have a grown up conversation. I was wrong.

Back to your name calling kids...

Lord Spandex Masher
27th Mar 2014, 12:43
CC, yeah you can make up any name you like. Usually they have some relation to perception or reality.

Not mine, the public's.

monkey.tennis
27th Mar 2014, 14:30
I see from the BHD thread that flybe have slots to operate BHD - LCY.

j636
27th Mar 2014, 16:25
I see from the BHD thread that flybe have slots to operate BHD - LCY.

They have BHD, INV, JER, IOM, NQY

LAX_LHR
27th Mar 2014, 17:51
After pulling many charter flights, it seems flybe are maintaining some presence in this area as several flights have re-appeared at MAN.

Saturdays:
Innsbruck (Inghams), Figari (Corsican Places), Verona (P&O)

Sunday:
Calvi (Corsican Places), Almeira Thomas Cook.

All these flights were taken off sale when it seemed they would exit charter ops, but all have appeared again in the last few days.

78Whiskey
27th Mar 2014, 19:02
Any sign of the Waterford schedule being updated? Seems to be finishing first week of September whereas most other routes continue until the end of October currently.

:confused:

cornishsimon
27th Mar 2014, 19:26
Sorry BE hold slots to operate NQY-LCY ?

cs

Coffin Corner
27th Mar 2014, 19:35
cs, from September it appears.

cornishsimon
27th Mar 2014, 19:42
September hey !
Bet they are going to of bid to run the PSO ;)
LCY - NQY as a PSO would be brilliant, and no doubt they would keep the BA codeshares on all of those routes ?!?!

cs

davidjohnson6
27th Mar 2014, 20:24
Looking carefully at the slot allocation, it seems that BA will retain their slots at LCY for their IOM service (apart from dropping 9 ATMs over the 7 month summer period), while Flybe pick up 252 slots at LCY for an IOM service beginning in September. The Flybe slots are more than enough for a 2x daily for the entire period 01Sep14 to 25Sep14.

Of course grant of slots does not imply service will take place, particularly the disclaimer in the ACL report
"As Flybe operations due to begin in September but not on sale, routes are indicative only"

Should one assume that Flybe will be operating jointly with BA under a codeshare, or could one possibly instead infer that Flybe intend to compete with BA/Eastern ?

http://www.acl-uk.org/reportsStatistics.aspx?id=98&subjectId=39

cornishsimon
27th Mar 2014, 20:31
Well considering BA(IAG) own a decent chunk of BE I can't see them being too pleased if BE tried competing !

However i suspect that BA would do well from JER-LCY feed

cs

monkey.tennis
27th Mar 2014, 20:33
Would it not make more sense for Flybe to set up at Southend to join up with their new franchise partner? Although the slots are there, it does seem unlikely although BA code shares might make it worthwhile.

lfc84
27th Mar 2014, 20:43
Direct link to LCY file:

www.acl-uk.org/download.aspx?id=1013&action=download

Skipness One Echo
27th Mar 2014, 21:32
Slots held and service launches are not one to one relationships though. Beware.

CabinCrewe
27th Mar 2014, 21:42
dont IAG own less than 15% of BE ? Cant see BA caring.

davidjohnson6
27th Mar 2014, 21:42
ACL have been very transparent with slots granted for summer schedules at London City. Time windows (and flight codes) shown - presumably for arrival at London City followed by departure approx 30 mins later. Note all times are GMT/UTC and not BST, so 0700 GMT listed below is 0800 BST. ACL report indicates everything with Flybe is on a 78-seat aircraft - i.e. a Dash-8 Q400. Looking at the number of slots granted and then counting back the days from the last last day of the summer 2014 season, I've tried to guess possible start dates of these routes

Again, the ACL report describes these as indicative and nothing more...

Belfast City - likely start date Monday 08 September
0835-0905 BE1471/1472 - stand 3 at LCY
1200-1230 BE1473/1474 - stand 10 at LCY
1435-1505 BE1475/1476 - stand 8 at LCY
1825-1855 BE1477/1478 - stand 4 at LCY

Inverness - likely start date Friday 05 September
0840-0910 BE1451/1452 - stand 4 at LCY
1630-1700 BE1455/1456 - stand 2 at LCY

Isle of Man - likely start date Sunday 07 September
0745-0815 BE1461/1462 - stand 3 at LCY
1500-1530 BE1465/1466 - stand 9 at LCY
1755-1825 BE1467/1468 - stand 9 at LCY

Jersey - likely start date Monday 01 September
0750-0820 BE1491/1492 - stand 7 at LCY
1510-1540 BE1493/1494 - stand 10 at LCY
1825-1855 BE1495/1496 - stand 6 at LCY

Newquay - likely start date Sunday 07 September
0645-0715 BE1481/1482 - stand 12 at LCY
1500-1530 BE1485/1486 - stand 5 at LCY
1850-1920 BE1487/1488 - stand 12 at LCY

BA for comparison:
Isle of Man:
0715-0745 BA3281/3282
1450-1530 BA3285/3286
1835-1905 BA3287/3288

Skipness One Echo
27th Mar 2014, 22:15
Am I being thick here, but how does being forced out of GIP owned LGW due to the cost then pitching up at equally expensive GIP owned LCY make sense? Is the current management under Saad trying to reverse an error? This is the entire Gatwick program less Guernsey moved into a high fare airport, I don't see how what failed in the past at LCY with this same company is now going to work with a business model hardly geared towards this rather particular model.

Or are they changing their business model? Hmmm

eastern wiseguy
27th Mar 2014, 22:23
IF THE BHD-LCY turns out to be accurate.....

When has Belfast to London City EVER worked? My own feeling is that LCY is perceived as a mainly business destination. Is there a big enough financial services type base in Belfast to support it? Is there enough demand to support it coming FROM the LCY area? I seriously doubt it.

Did Flybe not do this as a stopping service via IOM and it failed? City Ireland had a go and it failed ...and I seem to recall some operation before both of those but cannot recall the name of the operator.

I hope it works for Flybe......but based on the previous evidence...I doubt it.

davidjohnson6
27th Mar 2014, 22:33
Citibank whose European HQ is in Canary Wharf have a large back-office outpost in Belfast.
RBS who have a lot of staff in London also own Ulster Bank

eastern wiseguy
27th Mar 2014, 23:05
I know that...I have a pal who works there. I still question if it is enough to be profitable. Time will tell.

EI-BUD
27th Mar 2014, 23:14
The only serious attempt to make BHD LCY work was in 2007/8 when Cityjet/ suckling did 328 on the route. Nonstop flights, quite long sector on a prop. The broader context needs to be considered for that time;
Aer Lingus entered Belfast London market with new BFS LHR route x 4 320's per day. Ryanair entered BHD STN with 5 daily 738's on the route. London was flooded with seats but more importantly few knew that the LCY route was operated and fares were ridiculously high.

It has potential as mon to fri plus Sunday route - but we shall have to wait and see. Business orientated , but I'm not convinced. They will invest a lot of time and money making this route work.

I agree with previous comments that BE has moved from one high cost airport to another , except this way they get a £25m payment plus escape the rigours of intense competition on every route, ie EZY on IOM, EI on BHD etc.

Coffin Corner
27th Mar 2014, 23:44
And don't forget we have alot lower cost base than we used to have and this will undoubtedly improve further.

Cloud1
27th Mar 2014, 23:59
Considering many passengers used LGW not necessarily for central London one would hope for an interlink agreement so that passengers can transfer on to the BA CityFlyer routes?

sxflyer
28th Mar 2014, 00:23
Perhaps a bit premature but from 2018 Crossrail will make LCY-LHR transfers somewhat quicker. Who needs Northolt as a satellite runway?!

davidjohnson6
28th Mar 2014, 01:49
Purely guesswork here, but if the operation at London City really does come to reality, I'm wondering if some of the following routes are going to be sacrificed to ensure aircraft and crew availability - in the published schedule on the Flybe website, they all seem to end just before the LCY operation would potentially start.

Birmingham-Avignon
Birmingham-Bergerac
Birmingham-Brest
Birmingham-Perpignan
Birmingham-Waterford
Manchester-Waterford
Southampton-Bordeaux

El Bunto
28th Mar 2014, 06:08
Allstate, NYSE and Chicago Mercantile also have IT operations in Belfast with business offices in London.

However actual physical travel is becoming rare in the financial IT sector. Webex and video conferencing are the norm, they cost a few pence per use. They may not even be 20% as effective as a direct meeting but they are 0.1% of the cost of a flight.

Centre cities
28th Mar 2014, 08:46
Indeed the routes mentioned do coincide, however none are daily and most once a week so would not cover the above schedule.

On a different note it would be a bit of a blow for Waterford if it lost BHX and MAN. Perhaps a transfer to Eddie.

Centre cities

bean
28th Mar 2014, 08:57
If a transfer took place it would be to Logie with their smaller aircraft I would think

lfc84
28th Mar 2014, 11:14
Just noticed STN-DUN in the booking engine. i didnt know BE were at STN.

davidjohnson6
28th Mar 2014, 11:26
lfc84 - Cityjet are dropping their Dundee-London City route and Loganair are opening a Dundee-Stansted route. Announced on 22 January 2014. Loganair's DND-STN will likely become a PSO route

flying officer kite
28th Mar 2014, 11:34
Cityjet out of Belfast was a flop because of the skyhigh prices. 328s are great little machines to fly on as a passenger, but not good if you want to appeal to the mass markets in terms of price.

By comparison, having used BA Cityflyer, and even Cityjet on the Avros out of Dublin, prices tend to be lower. I hope the new Flybe routes work well, my only concern would be an 8.35am arrival at LCY cuts it a little tight to make it for a typical 9am meeting in London

davidjohnson6
28th Mar 2014, 16:45
Anyone looking at the report on the ACL website might wish to note that a new version of the report was published at 13:52:37 today (28 March) with some of the details of the Flybe slot grants now redacted.

LAX_LHR
28th Mar 2014, 16:55
In terms of the speculation of MAN-WAT looking like it is being cut ready for LCY ops, I'm struggling to see how cutting 1 flight on a MAN based aircraft could give the aircraft to LCY? If all those BHX flights get cut then fair enough, but I would think more needs to be cut at MAN to free up an aircraft?

wallp
28th Mar 2014, 17:11
Didn't Flybe try & fail once before at LCY; what's so different now to suggest it'll work, particularly at an airport where BA has such a dominant presence?

Cloud1
28th Mar 2014, 17:19
Years ago when it's cost base was higher and they operated dash 100s, 200s and 300s

I think a lot has changed since then!

Centre cities
28th Mar 2014, 17:49
LAXLHR

Although the BHX list is a few routes they are 1 per week only except Waterford 4 per week, very few flights.

OltonPete
28th Mar 2014, 18:26
BHX-French routes and Waterford

As stated by CC the BHX flights have ended for years at the beginning of September and the only difference is the 4 a week Waterford.

Again as stated previously it is hardly going to provide an extra aircraft as it fits into an 8 sector day for the aircraft so unless the other 6 are chopped it isn't going to help unless there is a significant change to the rest of the schedule.

Pete

cornishsimon
28th Mar 2014, 18:52
BBC in the southwest now running the NQY side of the story, no comment so far from BE !!

cs

Cloud1
30th Mar 2014, 13:18
The changes have started - the website has had a refresh

Shed-on-a-Pole
30th Mar 2014, 14:07
Website looking good. I like the promotions at the top of the page which compare FlyBe journey times with rail and road alternatives. However, did anyone spot the deliberate mistake? Apparently, Manchester to Glasgow by car takes three hours and sixty five minutes!

Nice work, though.

Flying.Penguin
30th Mar 2014, 14:16
Out of interest, what train runs from Belfast to Glasgow? :}

Cloud1
30th Mar 2014, 14:37
There is obviously a bug which will only be picked up if you dig a bit - when you can select routes to compare journey times airports seem to be duplicated a lot. Maybe it's testing for next weeks launch activities

ara01jbb
30th Mar 2014, 16:18
Out of interest, what train runs from Belfast to Glasgow?

National Rail / Stena Line via Ayr & Cairnryan, takes five hours, three connections daily, walk-up fare is £29 one way. Don't knock it, it's saved my skin a few times (although it's a shame the new port at Cairnryan requires a bus from Ayr; Stranraer station was beside the ferry terminal).

Interestingly enough, the walk up train fare for London - Belfast (change at Glasgow) is £52. Walk up train fare for London - Glasgow is about double that. :ok:

NickBarnes
30th Mar 2014, 16:53
Like the booking options now of "JUST FLY", "GET MORE", "ALL IN" much more easier to understand the fare your choosing i think.

NickBarnes
31st Mar 2014, 10:55
Video posted up on YouTube showing behind the scenes of Flybe's new TV adds, also explains some of the changes with the new tag line "fastest way from A to Flybe" :ok:

NickBarnes
31st Mar 2014, 11:00
http://http://en.flybe.com/corporate/media/news/1404/01.htm (http://en.flybe.com/corporate/media/news/1404/01.htm)

Link to Flybe's announcement

toledoashley
31st Mar 2014, 11:01
The general feel is very similar to what Monarch have done - even almost the same shade of purple!

SENChris
31st Mar 2014, 11:05
An eye-catching purple aircraft, the Spirit of Liberum, will be the first Flybe Bombardier Q400 to take to the skies in special commemorative livery: and Improved on-board experiences feature the introduction of stylish purple crew uniforms and purple mood lighting as well as daily on-board winners, deplaning gifts and an on-time musical celebration.

All sounds marvellous apart from this. :eek:

I used to hate this on Ryanair because as far as the customer is concerned, being on time should be standard and not something that requires a celebration!

NickBarnes
31st Mar 2014, 11:06
anybody have a picture of what the aircraft will look like?

Airbourne-Adamski
31st Mar 2014, 12:03
The making of the new ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmsIetPzkfc&feature=youtu.be

Bang Or West
31st Mar 2014, 12:26
And they've dated the press release for the 1st of April ... c'mon guys, that's day 1 stuff at PR School.

Cazza_fly
31st Mar 2014, 12:34
''anybody have a picture of what the aircraft will look like?''

There's a brief image at the end of this advert clip. I presume that the front end will stay the same as now, as going by the website and other new material the logo will remain unchanged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUAHsnaIeA4

NickBarnes
31st Mar 2014, 12:51
Ah just seen it thanks, looks good and fresh

globetrotter79
31st Mar 2014, 14:12
Banner adverts bearing the new strap line for flyBe today on the web proudly proclaim:

"The fatest way from A to flybe."

(Their spelling mistake, not mine!)

wallp
31st Mar 2014, 14:56
So this was posted on the Luton thread for some reason:

Flybe, the low-cost airlinehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Flybe-airline-serves-Newquay-Airport-wins-slots/story-20878861-detail/story.html#) that serves Newquay Airport, has bid for and won slots to land at London City Airport from September, the Cornish Guardian understands.

However, there has been no definite report on whether it intends to use the new route.

A spokesperson for Flybe said: "Flybe is in discussions with a number of airports regarding the potential development of new bases, in line with its strategy communicated in November 2013 and during its recent firmhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Flybe-airline-serves-Newquay-Airport-wins-slots/story-20878861-detail/story.html#) placing and open offer.

“No final decisions have been made as yet. Flybe will issue further announcements as appropriate.”

Flybe also obtained a licence for a Luton - Guernsey service a few months ago but seem to have no intention of operating on that route so what's the point of applying for all these routes unless they intend to serve them?

Aren't they doing Newquay from Gatwick & Southend; surely there isn't demand for London City as well?

cornishsimon
31st Mar 2014, 16:03
NQY-LGW is only until the end of the summer schedules and was a commercial agreement between CCC/NQY & BE to cover the shortfall in setting up NQY-LON as a PSO.

The PSO has been given the go-ahead by the treasury and CCC are currently tendering for NQY-LON PSO.

I assume BE will be bidding to do the PSO and if they do NQY-LCY would be that PSO route ? But that's a big assumption on my part.

cs

WHBM
31st Mar 2014, 17:18
Didn't Flybe try & fail once before at LCY; what's so different now to suggest it'll work, particularly at an airport where BA has such a dominant presence?
There have been, as stated above, several attempts at LCY-BHD over the years, and I've used them all from time to time whenever available. Flybe themselves were the operator around 10 years ago (it might even have been badged British European then), I recall a 146 once and a Dash 8 (the old type) more commonly. I also used the route quite a bit when Scot were running it under the Cityjet banner.

Consistently, loads were in single figures. The fact is that Northern Ireland does not generate the type of business traffic which wants to go to LCY, whereas places like Edinburgh do. It should be no surprise that there is different demand in different places, but having had these past experiences it just seems strange to repeat the service again.

El Bunto
31st Mar 2014, 17:25
There's a considerable number of biz-jet / biz-prop movements into both Belfast airports these days and a fair amount originates from London.

Not sure how a scheduled airline can compete with that, though, even using Lon City; they just don't have the flexibility to hold on the apron whilst a business deal is finalised.

For the calibre of employees who are still eligible to travel I think that flexibility beats frequency or proximity.

Wycombe
31st Mar 2014, 17:35
The colours in the background on the re-vamped Flybe.com homepage look spookily similar to me to those of SouthWest Trains (a Stagecoach Company).

Anything in that I wonder?

MKY661
31st Mar 2014, 18:07
On a side note it seems more E195's have been WFU this week :(

stab3.5up
31st Mar 2014, 19:12
If the rumoured be flts were code share with ba from lcy to bhd i would say they would be in with a chance otherwise a dead duck of a route

Nextprop
31st Mar 2014, 19:30
Despite a couple of errors, the 'new' Flybe brand and enhanced service offering announced appears to be an exceptionally positive move.

Their pledge to offer a £60 flight voucher towards another flight if a flight arrives 60 minutes late and in their control is an excellent innovation and should do much to restore confidence in the airline as with regards to punctuality.

Climb_Out
31st Mar 2014, 20:47
Seems to have been leaked on Instagram.

G-JECY From the paint shop.

Instagram photo by @danarrow92 (Danarrow92) | Statigram (http://statigr.am/p/688324008855079618_20682945)

Instagram photo by @danarrow92 (Danarrow92) | Statigram (http://statigr.am/p/688323251925813940_20682945)

Another shot appeared on twitter tonight:

http://twitter.com/callumodonnell/status/450704521652871169/photo/1

NickBarnes
31st Mar 2014, 21:27
Certainly bright and distinctive :ok:

GAZMO
31st Mar 2014, 21:40
Next prop

I hope they improve their punctuality? I have encountered poor on time performance on regular trips from BHD

CabinCrewe
31st Mar 2014, 21:43
Not keen on that. Someones spent five minutes on Microsoft Paint by the looks of it.

parky747
31st Mar 2014, 21:44
New image but shame about the horrid Q400 props stay in fleet whilst E190 leave.

BHD2BFS
31st Mar 2014, 21:57
Think it's a great time for flybe now
Great new image
Great new concept
And great new management

Will the routes from Southend be announced tomorrow?
I assume LCY would be announced tomorrow also when they officially unveil the new aircraft

Also i wouldn't call the dash horrible, especially if they are completely renovating the interior

Some people are so negative for just the sake of it

Skipness One Echo
31st Mar 2014, 22:34
I assume LCY would be announced tomorrow also when they officially unveil the new aircraft
Unless they have BA strongly on side, going back into LCY again, where they lost an astonishing amount of money, owned by the same firm that runs LGW, where it's "too expensive" to operate, well look what happened to CityJet. Market leader to basket case in the few years since BA cold BACON and took LCY seriously.

BHDflyer
31st Mar 2014, 23:51
Looking at the top of the new look website it emphasises how flying to all these places is quicker than driving or the train... Really? I'm in awe of this!:eek:

Daily winners sounds good though. They should have a ballot to win cash and the proceeds go to charity. People would actually take part unlike the scratchcards on other carriers that nobody cares about

cornishsimon
1st Apr 2014, 00:58
On a side note it seems more E195's have been WFU this week :(

Any idea which have been WFU and where they have been parked ?

cs

anne747380
1st Apr 2014, 01:52
Flybe Fleet Details and History - Planespotters.net Just Aviation (http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Flybe)
Here you can see all the stored 195s.Great shame,loved these gorgeous jets:sad:

Climb_Out
1st Apr 2014, 06:38
Another image here, allows me to link in directly.

http://s955.photobucket.com/user/PhilipOA260/media/beq400_zps130581b5.jpg.html

EI-BUD
1st Apr 2014, 07:12
So rumours about since last week of new LCY services to previous LGW destinations, now a suggestion that a big bang announcement of new services ex LCY, SEN (coupled with RE deal ) and a new livery/ imagery.

Best of luck to BE, but at best I'd describe the strategy as disjointed and make it up as you go at best. They have just exited one of their longest standing substantial routes, if they had a strategy of staying in that market for example, why is there a break in service? Exit LGW routes in March, customers migrate to other airlines and create habit, then as suggested they after a gap of 5 months re enter the market. Clearly after a business traveller at high fares ex LCY.

The suggestion of compensation for delays £60 etc, I'm not convinced that this is money spent wisely. Delays happen, I'd also suggest the airline has not diagnosed the reasons for its challenges.. It's not significantly about delays of reliability as far as I can see it.

wallp
1st Apr 2014, 07:42
It does indeed seem a strange strategy. Having a foothold in London is obviously key to the airline going forward so why leave LGW & to a lesser extent LTN with nothing lined up to replace it immediately?

A LCY operation, if true, represents a significant shift towards business travellers & presumably higher fares that often accompany LCY flights in comparison to other London airports.

Also, using LCY & SEN seems a slightly strange combination. Will a combination of both offer passengers something akin to what they were used to at LGW?

As EI-BUD rightly points out, by the time these new flights begin, regular passengers will have found alternatives, be that BA, easyJet etc so why go back to FlyBe? All in all, FlyBe's London strategy does on the face of it seem to be quite muddled.

ATNotts
1st Apr 2014, 08:13
It does indeed seem a strange strategy. Having a foothold in London is obviously key to the airline going forward so why leave LGW & to a lesser extent LTN with nothing lined up to replace it immediately?

Does the world begin and end with London????

Surely the new strategy of concentrating on major regional airports, with lower costs and because of less competition, better yields, is preferable to going head to head with all the majors in the London market.

Jet2 seem to be doing very well out of avoiding London!

tws123
1st Apr 2014, 08:43
True Jet2 are, but they have been looking at entering the London market within the last year or so.

I wish Flybe the best of luck, but have to agree that serving SEN, STN and LCY seems an odd choice.

rutankrd
1st Apr 2014, 09:16
I wish Flybe the best of luck, but have to agree that serving SEN, STN and LCY seems an odd choice.

Get your head around franchising.

The Stansted-Dundee is Loganair in Flybe Colours and grant supported at the Scottish end.
With the exception of Newquay the Southend operations are going to be Stobart Air (Aer Arann)operated in Flybe colours

Both Loganair and Stobart are paying Flybe for use of their brand and marketing however the route choices and commercial risk remain with the them and not Flybe.

Tis proposal to return to City is a Flybe commercial venture and has nothing to do do with these other franchised operations saving the possibility that in event of a PSO award on the Newquay route this will be transferred at the end of summer season from Gatwick.

tws123
1st Apr 2014, 09:53
I do understand that some of the routes are franchises and I get your point. I just think LCY is a strange choice for an airline needing to save money (avoiding the debate about how money they have saved from cutting their other routes and ignoring the possibility of lower introductory landing fees offered by LCY). To then open a NQY route from SEN while planning a LCY-NQY route with similar catchment areas just seems odd. I guess we'll just see what happens...

JobsaGoodun
1st Apr 2014, 09:57
Is the decision muddled? Possibly, but it depends on the angle from which you’re looking at it. You’re looking at two different decisions by two different sets of people leading the business and therefore such change is inevitable.

The decision to exit LGW was taken by the previous management team on the back of significant losses. We don’t know if the new management team would have taken the same decision, but the cash generated by the sale will certainly have helped to put Flybe on a more sound financial footing.

Flybe have always carried a high proportion of business travellers and I guess it’s possible that with Cityjet struggling to compete against BA at LCY, and having now been sold to new owners who will not enjoy future bailouts from Air France, perhaps Flybe believe there is opportunity here.

However, with the exception of the information from ACL suggesting an application for slots, there is still zero confirmation from either Flybe or LCY that operations will be launched, let alone a list of destinations they might serve. With no confirmation, I’d suggest that it’s perhaps a little early to start deciding if this is a good or a bad move….. if indeed it is a move at all.

ajamieson
1st Apr 2014, 10:25
To then open a NQY route from SEN while planning a LCY-NQY route with similar catchment areas just seems odd. I guess we'll just see what happens...
SEN-NQY is seasonal and not even daily. LCY (if confirmed) would be at least daily (or whatever the PSO specifies).

When WOW tried LCY-NQY it was at the height of the over-capacity bloodbath when two LGW-NQY operators were engaged in a fare war and there were between six and eight daily LGW-NQY flights. A publicly-guaranteed monopoly would make LCY more feasible now.

tws123
1st Apr 2014, 10:37
Well of course businesses want to save money, the difference is that other more successful businesses have large profits to play around with, whereas Flybe do not.

All I'm trying to say is that I'm a bit concerned that LCY is a bad choice for an airline that has just undergone a major job and route restructuring in an attempt to balance the books (that's not to say that they couldn't go there in the future).

EastMids
1st Apr 2014, 11:30
Here's G-JECY after rollout at EMA this morning (my picture):

Bombardier Dash 8-402Q - Large Preview - AirTeamImages.com (http://www.airteamimages.com/bombardier-dash-8_G-JECY_flybe_197417_large.html)

NickBarnes
1st Apr 2014, 11:34
Nice shot, certainly bright!

Cactus99
1st Apr 2014, 11:40
"Faster than road or rail"

That's got to be an April Fool! Is that genuinely going to be painted on all the aircraft? :eek:

Skipness One Echo
1st Apr 2014, 11:47
It's South West Trains, right off the bat that's all anyone in the whole region will see!
A publicly-guaranteed monopoly would make LCY more feasible now.
Are you sure about the monopoly? So if another firm in better shape comes along and wants to compete, they'd be denied?

Tonyq
1st Apr 2014, 11:52
So do we know yet, if this is to be a new standard scheme, or a 'one-off' to promote the relaunched product?

And, what is the relevance of 'Spirit of Liberum' - I would have though the average FlyBe passenger would relate more closely to 'Kevin Keegan' or 'Mary Peters' !

Cyrano
1st Apr 2014, 11:59
All I'm trying to say is that I'm a bit concerned that LCY is a bad choice for an airline that has just undergone a major job and route restructuring in an attempt to balance the books (that's not to say that they couldn't go there in the future).

I think you may be comparing two different things. Yes, LCY is very expensive, but the airlines who serve LCY do so not because they don't pay attention to their costs but because they can get a much higher yield from LCY than from any other available London airport.

If flybe reckon that they can attract enough business travellers to LCY to compensate for the higher airport charges, that's what's needed.
As various airline gurus have pointed out over the years, it's not just about low costs, it's about having costs sustainably below your revenues. High LCY costs don't automatically mean flyBe would lose money there.

If all the rest of the flybe operation has had costs stripped out, it will be very competitive compared to other LCY players.

Coffin Corner
1st Apr 2014, 12:10
Don't get confused by the "Faster than Road or Rail" slogan. Anyone with half a pulse can see that it is supposed to mean it's faster to travel to the airport, check in, wait to board, board, taxi out, take off, land, taxi in, disembark, collect luggage if applicable and then be on your merry way. In no way does it mean a point to point race with a "ready, steady, go" start line and a white tape and cup for the winner, but you know what? You always get those who are prepared to pick holes in everything.

Tonyq, we are led to believe it's just the one for now with the others to be painted with the yellow & red go faster stripes on the fuselage, but I could be completely and utterly wrong.

NickBarnes
1st Apr 2014, 12:34
Flybe's official twitter page has confirmed all the aircraft will be painted like the one today!

Coffin Corner
1st Apr 2014, 12:39
Perfect, thanks Nick. I don't follow them on twitter.

NickBarnes
1st Apr 2014, 12:46
No problem :) seems a bit of confusion but soon they will all be unmissable in that purple

ajamieson
1st Apr 2014, 12:50
Skipness1E sorry, was unclear - I meant a monopoly that is also PSO-supported (thus two reasons to succeed) not that a PSO would guarantee a monopoly.

Teaboy24
1st Apr 2014, 13:16
On the website in the flight destination text for London it lists Gatwick, Luton and Southend. However route maps and timetable has Gatwick, Stansted and Southend.

Do they still have thoughts on Luton or is it just an error ?

Wycombe
1st Apr 2014, 16:00
Flybe.com is always riddled with inconsistencies and out-of-date info, they need to invest in IT aswell as painting aeroplanes.

On that subject:

Flybe's official twitter page has confirmed all the aircraft will be painted like the one today!

Wouldn't it have been cheaper (seeing as they are trying to reduce their cost base) to leave the aeroplanes essentially white?

V12
1st Apr 2014, 16:15
Tonyq: Spirit of Liberum refers to their City house broker that has supported their refinancing. Fair move.

As a v regular FlyBe flyer, I am surprised they have allowed themselves to go through a rebrand when I doubt the regulars care one iota, and we all have got used to (fond of) the existing livery. Surely regional airlines fail because they lack the awareness with new users. If the purple achieves that, then fine, but I suspect it makes no difference to most, and what regional carriers need is to spend cash available for resprays and new uniforms on more regional awareness campaigns.

Darwin@CBG have all but died from lack of awareness; same of Minoan @OXF. Most punters have zero idea of what flies from their local regional airport, hence why they all go to the hubs for Jet2, Easyjet and Ryanair.

Spend the cash you have raised on local marketing! Yes you may be faster than road and rail, but we kinda suspected that anyway - thats why we choose to fly. So go find new passengers by advertising at the train stations.

I for one want FlyBe to survive and be strong; its a pretty useful little airline flying some pretty handy routes, and a nice bunch of people. The Embraers were great but too expensive, and the Q400s are fine.

SWBKCB
1st Apr 2014, 17:00
Feedback from this customer is that the colour scheme is hideous!

As Uncle Roger used to say, a spokesman for the air said "Aaargh!"

adfly
1st Apr 2014, 17:41
The front looks fine but the tail looks like an afterthought, maybe if they kept the old style lettering that moved round with the tail and shuffled the purple/stripes forward a little it would look better.

Lord Spandex Masher
1st Apr 2014, 17:43
The coloured stripes are out of order!

Planespeaking
1st Apr 2014, 18:09
I was working for Air Uk when it was first formed in 1979/1980 and when it introduced the dark blue colour scheme. " Take the blue plane".

The only problem was at night on an ill lit apron the Heralds looked like Wellington bombers waiting to go on a raid, and they merged into the blackness.
This resulted in a number of dented airframes from ground equipment and a rapid change to a lighter livery.

Had Jim French still been around he may have cautioned against the new paint job.

Ah the wisdom of the years!!

cairnfield
1st Apr 2014, 18:20
Will we see the new livery applied to Loganair for the franchise?

NickBarnes
1st Apr 2014, 18:47
It's rather confusing because on their twitter they said all planes would be painted purple now they say they will see customer feedback, so who knows what they are doing:bored:

Shed-on-a-Pole
1st Apr 2014, 18:59
It is actually very refreshing to see a new airline livery which is not all white fuselage with titles. This distinctive purple livery looks great and should significantly enhance brand awareness (which is presumably the point). We'll be able to tell whose aircraft these are from miles away!

Two great new liveries unveiled just weeks apart (Thomas Cook being the other). Somebody please tell Iberia this is how it should be done! They have just replaced one of Europe's finest liveries with another forgettable 'me too' whitewash job.

CabinCrewe
1st Apr 2014, 19:41
Wouldn't it have been cheaper (seeing as they are trying to reduce their cost base) to leave the aeroplanes essentially white?

What is the difference between the cost of applied aviation purple paint and white ?

El Bunto
1st Apr 2014, 19:41
Very bold! Points for effort if not for end result.

Perhaps the same colours in the reverse order would look less unbalanced; we're more accustomed to seeing the strong colour on the tail.

Centre cities
1st Apr 2014, 19:51
Carpartair Fokker 100 has arrived at BHX, apparently a months lease to Flybe.
Are they short of aircraft.

Centre cities

wallp
1st Apr 2014, 19:54
Not sure the new purple livery is an improvement. It looks awful.

Is the slogan 'faster than road or rail' really necessary?

Skipness One Echo
1st Apr 2014, 19:57
Is the slogan 'faster than road or rail' really necessary?
Someone did not send their A Team to that pitch! Anyone know what agency's running this?

toledoashley
1st Apr 2014, 19:57
Re LCY, the new management said last year they wanted to match the right aircraft with the right routes. The Dash 8, and EMB's are the right aircraft for LCY. and not the right aircraft for LGW as the charges structure pushes the airlines to operate larger aircraft, putting BE at a disadvantage.

Any airport that has a shorter runway should be BE territory, LCY & SEN are very logical.

stab3.5up
1st Apr 2014, 20:01
Is a flat purple or metalic purple?

Jet Set Willie
1st Apr 2014, 21:14
The EMBs aren't right for LCY as you can't land a 175 there. Would have to be the crash 8!!

Wycombe
1st Apr 2014, 22:06
What is the difference between the cost of applied aviation purple paint and white ?

My point was that if the aircraft were largely staying white, presumably the cost would be lower....assuming that there are at least some (new 175's, for example) that don't need an immediate repaint of the base colour.

Lord Spandex Masher
1st Apr 2014, 22:15
The EMBs aren't right for LCY as you can't land a 175 there. Would have to be the crash 8!!

It could with the right mod.

Non of the Dash 8s have the steep approach mod at the moment either.

toledoashley
2nd Apr 2014, 07:51
Just saying they are the right sized aircraft for the proposed routes. Exactly as they mentioned in last years results conference.

runway08
2nd Apr 2014, 12:29
flybe_edited-1_zpsd7cbf397.jpg Photo by allan286 | Photobucket (http://s241.photobucket.com/user/allan286/media/flybe_edited-1_zpsd7cbf397.jpg.html)

Someone point flybe in the direction of this revised new livery, Done by some amateur but x10293384374 better then what they rolled out the other day.

NickBarnes
2nd Apr 2014, 13:19
that does look a lot better

WHBM
2nd Apr 2014, 13:35
It could with the right mod.

I believe the E-170 and E-190 have the steep approach certification done by Embraer, but not the E-175 and E-195.

virginblue
2nd Apr 2014, 14:00
Isn't it just a software modification and/or an extra button on the panel? Cannot be a heck of a deal as airlines like Lufthansa and Alitalia use the E190 without having bought them outright for LCY operations. So while the E195 might be restricted because of its size, I don't see a reason why the E175 should not be able to operate - or does it have tailstrike problems given its longer fuselage with the same undercarriage as the E170?

Jet Set Willie
2nd Apr 2014, 14:21
Spot on Virginblue. It's the distance from the main gear to the tail on the 175 & 195 that means they won't get into City. Don't know about the E2 generation for the future though.

monkey.tennis
2nd Apr 2014, 14:36
Flybe unlikely to launch rival London City route - Isle of Man Today (http://m.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/flybe-unlikely-to-launch-rival-london-city-route-1-6533760)

virginblue
2nd Apr 2014, 14:52
So it'll be Q400s or nothing for BE for the foreseeable future should they start LCY.

lfc84
2nd Apr 2014, 14:58
IOM Airport saying no discussions have taken place with BE about LCY service

virginblue
2nd Apr 2014, 15:24
I would not be surprised if there are behind the scenes negotiations between BACF and BE that could see a code-share put on the BE flights and the IOM-service replaced one-for-one by BE. No need to involve IOM at this point then, I guess.

EK77WNCL
2nd Apr 2014, 16:16
I'm a bit disappointed that all of their regular ex LGW flights (more than daily) have been suggested for a LCY route, yet NCL has not been... I'd like to see that, replace 2 daily LHR flights with 2/3 daily BE/BACF LCY flights might work nicely for business traffic.

Skipness One Echo
2nd Apr 2014, 16:20
Why would 2-3 LCY flights be better than LHR except in terms of plane spotting? LHR has much better connections than LCY which is not set up at all for that.
:)
It's a small-ish market, remember EZY has come onto LGW-NCL which would badly squeeze any LCY-NCL with capacity at a lower cost.

As for IOM going to BE, well the second BA Saab 2000 didn't get the full Union Flag colours unlike the first....

wallp
2nd Apr 2014, 17:03
I do find it hard to think that on those routes exited by Flybe at LGW where there is now an alternative on offer with either easyJet or BA, passengers would opt to return to Flybe from a different airport, LCY & presumably pay a premium for the privilege.

If Flybe are planning to re-position themselves with more of a premium product then the switch to LCY makes more sense. Certainly their existing fleet mix suits LCY but BA will doubtless fight to ensure their continued dominance at the airport where they now have a stranglehold.

I wish FlyBe well and hope that the switch from LGW to LCY, if it happens, works out for them but I have my doubts.

Lord Spandex Masher
2nd Apr 2014, 17:45
I believe the E-170 and E-190 have the steep approach certification done by Embraer, but not the E-175 and E-195.

Ah well, there you go, I don't know everything.

ib26uk
2nd Apr 2014, 20:41
Does anybody know when the 2014/2015 Schedules are released?

I need to book about 10 flights so want to compare with other airlines

NickBarnes
2nd Apr 2014, 21:17
End of April they are released

ib26uk
2nd Apr 2014, 21:34
NickBarnes

Thank you

ib26uk

dantheflyboy
3rd Apr 2014, 07:59
Was the Carpatair F100 operating for Flybe on BHD-BHX a one off? or is this to cover mid term? Sad so many Flybe jets grounded and pilots let go only to need to wet lease another airline.

SWBKCB
3rd Apr 2014, 16:10
According to Jethro's UK fleets believed to be here for 4 weeks - does seem strange with the EMB's in store.

Centre cities
3rd Apr 2014, 16:13
Stand by aircraft apparently

Centre cities

EI-DAC
11th Apr 2014, 08:11
Any idea when W14/15 will go on sale?

BFS BHD
11th Apr 2014, 08:13
They said on facebook it will be at the end of this month :)

virginblue
11th Apr 2014, 08:18
According to Jethro's UK fleets believed to be here for 4 weeks - does seem strange with the EMB's in store.

Are the Embraers in store with Flybe still having them under their control or have the leases expired?

OltonPete
11th Apr 2014, 10:54
A couple of surprises announced yesterday and one definitely falls into the pleasant category with Reykjavik and the other one a challenge to Ryanair and Monarch with Ibiza :eek:

Palma also increased to five days a week including double daily on a Tuesday and Sunday although all these flights are short season.

The only question mark I have about KEF is did they really mean this destination - have a look at the destination map especially North Africa an area where flybe are yet to go (this will make me look silly if has been altered in the last few minutes). The closest major airport to this dot is Tunis, often called the Reykjavik of the south I believe :cool:

Ibiza has moved - no long an Island any more but some kind of merger with Malaga? ;)

BHX this week

Florence started yesterday as did Cologne, Alicante restarts in the next hour and porto tomorrow.

Also possibly the 100 up today at BHX with 50 departures and arrivals listed, well over one third of BHX's movements.

More routes to come anyone? They show Budapest, Prague, Wasaw, Madrid, Geneva and Zurich on the map but of course all code-share with Air France.

Pete

Set 1013
11th Apr 2014, 11:23
Olton

This is obviously an epic mistake on flybe's part. They need to correct this asap. After all who will book a ticket with an airline that doesn't know North from South. Flybe refer to flying to the most northern capital city in Europe so I think it is safe to assume they are not heading south to Tunis.

mad_jock
11th Apr 2014, 13:51
That new purple paint scheme is absolutely barrfing.

I didn't think it was possible to make a Q400 even more ugly and funny looking but they have managed it.

Or is it some sort of anti bird strike colour scheme. With hopefully all the birds flying away from it think WTF is that.

Shed-on-a-Pole
11th Apr 2014, 15:15
Bold liveries such as that recently unveiled by FlyBe polarise opinion. Some love it, some hate it. Personally, I think it is fantastic and will positively differentiate FlyBe's brand from all the mundane 'white with titles' corporate identities out there. I've heard some opinions in line with your own, but many more love the new look.

Daza
11th Apr 2014, 15:21
Have to agree with Shed-on-a-Pole, new livery is memorable, love it or hate it. Bold colour equals bold marketing, think Orange and Easyjet :ok:

JimNich
12th Apr 2014, 13:25
New paint job looks just like a Scottish Fuels bowser, and if I spent more time on my PC I'd know how to post a link, but I don't so you'll just have to google it yourselves. :\

vectisman
12th Apr 2014, 13:36
From a brand awareness point of view the new livery is a success. Love it or hate it,people are talking about it and Flybe. That is what matters.

V.

CabinCrewe
12th Apr 2014, 13:56
You can be talking about it, doesnt mean you'll give them your money and get them out of trouble.

Hotel Tango
12th Apr 2014, 15:51
You can be talking about it, doesnt mean you'll give them your money and get them out of trouble.

I guess their livery, like it or not, will catch the public eye and that will generate more name/brand awareness.

Skipness One Echo
12th Apr 2014, 16:03
Brand awareness also means "God have you seen that? Wouldn't fly on that in a million years." It's not brand awareness that drives revenue it's brand satisfaction. flybe are often the only carrier on a regional route anyway.

Shed-on-a-Pole
12th Apr 2014, 17:51
I see what you are saying, Skipness. The product does have to be right too. But let me put it like this … SAS and Iberia (new scheme) both have hideous liveries (IMHO). But would that stop me booking travel with those carriers if the price and itinerary were right? Not at all. On the other hand, clients who have 'never heard' of a carrier (for whatever reason) tend to be the nervous ones. Brand awareness is a good thing. How often do we see postings on PPRuNe along the lines of: "I've never heard of [Airline Name]. Can they be trusted? Should I book a flight with them?"

Many people in the UK have heard of FlyBe, and more are learning of them through this rebranding process. That can only be a positive for the business going forward. Besides, "Spirit of Liberum" looks sensational in my photo taken in strong sunshine set against a stormy sky! Nowt wrong with the colour which adorned Roman Emperors! Now lets see a purple Embraer please ...

Hotel Tango
12th Apr 2014, 21:25
I disagree with you SOE. If the aircraft looked dirty and tatty that might put a punter off (even though said a/c is perfectly maintained and airworthy). I don't for a moment believe that punters will avoid an airline because they don't like their livery.

mad_jock
12th Apr 2014, 22:17
A change to a barfing colour isn't going to get rid of the flymaybe customer tag for the company.

Tonyq
12th Apr 2014, 22:27
The rather juvenile 'Flymaybe' soubriquet is no more legitimate than 'Sleazeyjet' or 'Rhinoair' and only exists in the heads of people who have a personal dislike of BE (for whatever reason) or who travel very infrequently and may have had an unlucky experience. I have never heard it used by regular passengers or those who take a balanced view of the world.

Planespeaking
12th Apr 2014, 23:12
'Twas always thus. Channel Scareways for Channel Airways, Dan Dare for Danair and Air Yuk for Air Uk, whilst BOAC was Boys Overseas After Crumpet.

Childish but harmless airline humour!

Skipness One Echo
13th Apr 2014, 00:26
Better On A Camel
Try Walking Across
etc :)

BasilBush
13th Apr 2014, 09:12
Not to mention:

Such A Bloody Effort Never Again

And

Always Late In Taking-off, Always Late In Arriving

Etc

(ps - there is at least one for Qantas but this is not suitable for the sensitive souls on this forum)

stab3.5up
13th Apr 2014, 10:04
"Book Airtours see Britan by coach"was always my fave when they operated the md's

Hotel Tango
13th Apr 2014, 11:43
Such A Bloody Effort Never Again

For the record I remember it as "Experience" rather than "Effort" ;)

And then, arguably, there's one of the most appropriate ones (judging by relatively recent times) of Air Chance.

Falcon666
13th Apr 2014, 12:39
And finally "pandemonium Airways" for Americas largest carrier at the time- and trust me at times it was!
Ok time to move on

El Bunto
14th Apr 2014, 07:10
BEE416 20 mins late departing EGBB last night due to delays 'loading bags from a connecting flight'.

'Connecting flight' with FlyBE? I hadn't thought it was possible but their website does make reference to 'through fare':

means a single ticket for a passenger’s continuous journey that involves connecting transportation on two or more flights, where baggage is checked in at departure and only collected at the ultimate destination.Perhaps the AFR code-share offers this service.

EcamSurprise
14th Apr 2014, 10:34
Tonyq
I flew with Flybe regularly between Paris and Sou and I genuinely can't remember when I left on time.

Hotel Tango
14th Apr 2014, 11:48
I flew with Flybe regularly between Paris and Sou and I genuinely can't remember when I left on time.

That may depend on what criteria you use. I'm still amazed at how many passengers judge timing according to the take-off time and not, as should be, the off-blocks time.

Tonyq
14th Apr 2014, 13:07
Isn't it actual arrival time, versus scheduled arrival time, which is the core measure of OTP?

Hotel Tango
14th Apr 2014, 13:30
Isn't it actual arrival time, versus scheduled arrival time, which is the core measure of OTP?

Something like that yes, but again, the arrival time is calculated as the time the a/c blocks on. However, I was refering to the average passenger's perception of running late being based on the take-off time.

LN-KGL
14th Apr 2014, 16:31
Times for my short flight yesterday:
STD 16:55 UTC
Push started 16:41 UTC
TO 16:54 UTC
TD 17:35 UTC
STA 17:50 UTC
On blocks 17:39 UTC
Checked in baggage received 17:45 UTC
In taxi 17:47 UTC
At destination 17:59 UTC

I have to add to this, the 737 I flew with landed (TD) 16:21 UTC and on blocks at gate 18 16:23 UTC at the airport I flew from. Now you can start guessing the airline I flew with.

PS. The flight wasn't to or from a British airport

El Bunto
14th Apr 2014, 20:37
Thanks WingoWango, I hadn't realised that about FlyBE.

I learned a new thing! :)

Actually I think they should promote that more on their website, it is a definite advantage over the single-sector-only bookings of The Others.

EcamSurprise
14th Apr 2014, 22:50
Something like that yes, but again, the arrival time is calculated as the time the a/c blocks on. However, I was refering to the average passenger's perception of running late being based on the take-off time.

As a crew member for another airline, I am well accustomed to chocks time.. and they were still late every time.

Indeed, on most occasions, boarding only started a few minutes prior to planned off blocks time, and whilst arrival was usually back on schedule, the passenger experience of sitting in an airport prior to departure at horrible times of the day with no information is pretty disappointing and is a sure way of loosing clients, even if the OTP would be calculated by arrival times.

The customer service was always pretty poor too and it really became a last resort option for me, which is a shame, as it was by far the most convenient connection which should speak volumes.

Capetonian
15th Apr 2014, 08:32
I gave up on Flybe years ago and for travel to and from the Channel Islands I now use the 'Day of the Condor' option. I spend a pleasant day on the ferry, read the newspapers, chat, eat, snooze, and I know what time I'm arriving. Bliss!

Hotel Tango
15th Apr 2014, 08:42
Indeed, on most occasions, boarding only started a few minutes prior to planned off blocks time, and whilst arrival was usually back on schedule

So, if they "usually" arrive on time, what exactly is your problem? My experience with other carriers is also that relatively short delays in boarding (i.e. +/- 15 mins) remain un-announced. I'm not pro FLYBE but I just don't understand your argument, sorry.

By the way, as a crew member, you should be aware that the lack of information is often down to the handling agents and not directly with the airline.

dantheflyboy
15th Apr 2014, 09:01
I see Lord SM is still as negative as ever towards certain airlines, has been for years and probably always will be. I find the best thing is to just ignore his comments as he likes nothing more than to whip up a stormy debate.
As has been said many times before this is a rumour network not a public space to slag off all that makes you annoyed in life. Have a good day Folks!

cornishsimon
15th Apr 2014, 09:30
Is there anything further on the proposed LCY routes ?

lfc84
15th Apr 2014, 09:31
I see the 6060 gurantee only applies for flights up to end of may. see here for confirmation of the promotion period: 60:60 on-time guarantee - Terms & Conditions | Flybe | Cheap flights & budget flights (http://www.flybe.com/6060/static/terms.htm)

I'm happy to report i submitted a claim today and got an instant success.

GCILover
15th Apr 2014, 11:00
I have been informed by a flybe insider, that there is a high possibility of BA dropping several routes out of LCY and these being the routes that Flybe will be picking up. The routes in question were not mentioned.

Jet Set Willie
15th Apr 2014, 13:54
With 3 new aircraft arriving at LCY over the next couple of months, expansion is the only thing on BAs mind. The only route I could ever see going to someone else would be the IOM if people don't use it!!!

El Bunto
15th Apr 2014, 15:19
If anyone is concerned about flybes OTP just dig out the stats and compare them to other airlines. End of debate.Averages are great after the fact.

But it's anecdotes that give an airline a reputation; every FlyBE flight out of Belfast City today has departed after its scheduled time, according to the airport's own flight info board.

When intending passengers look up and see DELAYED or ESTIMATED against every BEE code, that's what creates perception.

Delays currently on the board range from 7 minutes to 41.

I'm not dissing the airline or its staff. But as a passenger myself, it's hard to reconcile OTP stats with experiences like that.

dantheflyboy
15th Apr 2014, 16:50
OTD is pushback or release or a/c brakes, Screens show actual take off times. There is therefore always difference between the two as there is variable waiting times at the holding point. So if you look at the screen info only nearly all flights of all airlines at city look late. Obviously with a 25 min turnaround including a clean of a/c unless you arrive early you never get out ontime however like all airlines extra sector time is built into schedule to accommodate this and then most flights arrive within the 15 min industry standard of an ontime arrival.

eastern wiseguy
15th Apr 2014, 22:07
OTD is pushback or release or a/c brakes, Screens show actual take off times.

Not quite. I recall at BFS a flight was shown as departed as soon as it pushed back i.e. it was "in flight" by the legal definition.

Anecdotally it always seemed that Flybe were mentioned as being delayed more than other airlines on the morning drive to work. There was more than a few occasions when I pitched up at EGAA to see a DH8 or two on the apron implying that they were late in to EGAC.

Just my perception of course.:hmm:

Cloud1
15th Apr 2014, 22:22
I think people forget just how many flights these aircraft operate. It is very easy to pick up delays on the ground - I flew with Flybe only the other week and we were on time boarding and pushing back but held up 15 minutes during taxi and holding for departure. If that happens a few times in a day that's an hour delay for those on the aircrafts last sector of the day.

Easyjet and Ryanair aircraft spend more time in the air and therefore pick up marginal delays which seem unnoticeable. Flybe is in and out of airports all the time - this also means minor mechanical faults develop.

It's like driving your car every day for hundreds of miles compared to someone who drives theirs for a few miles. The most used vehicle will need servicing or repairs much more frequently

dantheflyboy
16th Apr 2014, 09:27
Yawn! Oh and why am I little Dan? Don't bother answering that Spandex as I don't want to be seen as defensive. End of Topic. Next please!

good egg
16th Apr 2014, 14:35
So, assuming that one of the UK's more punctual airlines does indeed start operations at one of the UK's more punctual airports (LCY), do you think this will improve their stats?

Lord Spandex Masher
16th Apr 2014, 16:07
Flybe cancels flights from Southend Airport (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/11147164.Flybe_cancels_flights_from_Southend_Airport/)

Good start.

Whispering Giant
16th Apr 2014, 16:19
Old news LSM, do try keeping up to date by reading the Stobart air thread (page 2, thread reply 40). Route was actually cancelled by Stobarts Air's management and not Flybe's management.

Whispering Giant
16th Apr 2014, 17:15
Ohhhhhhhh now who's getting touchy LSM. It was reported on the 11th April just to update you.

NickBarnes
16th Apr 2014, 18:23
LSM is just a childish troll, Ignore and they go away :ok:

Aero Mad
16th Apr 2014, 18:55
Aaand back to business...

The latest on the E195 fleet from ATW: Flybe taps Cabot Aviation to place excess E-195s | Airframes content from ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/airframes/flybe-taps-cabot-aviation-place-excess-e-195s)

Hotel Tango
16th Apr 2014, 19:48
45 DHC-8s? Is it not a little less than that?

Tonyq
16th Apr 2014, 20:15
There appear to be 40 active Q400's now, with 5 which have been withdrawn EOL, over the last 3/4 months stored, in while livery, awaiting new homes (DP/R/T/U/V).

This article also mentions plans to replace the E195 fleet with "16 Bombardier or ATR turboprops."

I don't recall that being mentioned previously?

PPRuNe Pop
16th Apr 2014, 20:54
After a good deal of pondering I am going to close this thread because of its meandering here and there and getting nowhere.

Feel free to start another 'Flybe - 7' but please stay on topic and stick to facts. If it isn't fact it is worthless. Get the idea>

PPP