Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

BA Direct Entry Pilot.

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

BA Direct Entry Pilot.

Old 21st Sep 2018, 11:52
  #5041 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The road to Rome
Posts: 4
Has anyone gone into Stage 1 exams with a passport that was valid for less than 12 months? If so, did they accept it?
Silent Treatment is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2018, 13:39
  #5042 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by Silent Treatment View Post
Has anyone gone into Stage 1 exams with a passport that was valid for less than 12 months? If so, did they accept it?
Yes, I did. They never mentioned it as I think it’s just for ID. I also took my Drivers Licence just in case. My other passport was with the Visa people so I took a copy of that one along too but didn’t need it. Good luck!
DriverJake is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 00:46
  #5043 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 15
I did my sim on the 13th of September, got the email that I was in the holdpool on the 17th, and got the call today the 21st, for a January start date on the 320 at LHR. Im not 320 rated at the moment btw. So things can move very quickly!
Mansnothot is online now  
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 11:15
  #5044 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NY
Age: 40
Posts: 143
Hi Folks,

Can someone share some feedback or recommend the best online prep company for the assessment day at BA headquarters with MGIB, TTB and computer-based capacity test?

Thanks in advance

9"
NineInchSnail is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 11:44
  #5045 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 33
I used skytest, its very similar but there are some differences.
JStone is offline  
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 13:05
  #5046 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sky
Posts: 444
Originally Posted by Mansnothot View Post
I did my sim on the 13th of September, got the email that I was in the holdpool on the 17th, and got the call today the 21st, for a January start date on the 320 at LHR. Im not 320 rated at the moment btw. So things can move very quickly!
What is your experience?
captain.weird is online now  
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 21:19
  #5047 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by captain.weird View Post
What is your experience?
Just over 2000 hours total. Of which about 1200 on a turboprop and 400 on a jet.
Mansnothot is online now  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 05:18
  #5048 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Outta town
Posts: 153
They clearly getting desperate . Interesting times .
highfive is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 08:27
  #5049 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: In The Night Garden
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
They clearly getting desperate . Interesting times .
I wouldn't say desperate. I think it's as simple as the hold pool being pretty empty and courses need filling in January with most people on 3 months notice. It's certainly a good time to get in so congrats to those about to join and best of luck to those in the process. Not sure what the DEP assessment plan is once the 767 sim is removed.
PinkyPonkPilot is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 08:59
  #5050 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,385
Not sure “desparate” is the adjective I would use but BA need a lot of new bums on seats for the foreseeable future, certainly on the A320 out of both LHR and LGW.

As for the hours flown, well perhaps the pool of high hour type rated applicants prepared to accept the lifestyle change that goes hand in hand with working out of LHR on BA shorthaul T&Cs has reduced.

Anyhow congratulations to Mansnothot, who will be joining just in time to be one of the first very very junior victims of the new rostering system ....I wish him/her the best of luck.

Last edited by wiggy; 23rd Sep 2018 at 09:36.
wiggy is online now  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 09:15
  #5051 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Age: 44
Posts: 64
I know many widebody pilots with thousands of hours who couldn’t get through the BA sim so well done, with the numbers we need you won’t be very junior very long!
CXKA is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 10:08
  #5052 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: In front of a computer
Posts: 1,860
There's an update just out from LC painting a picture of continuing DEP recruitment for 2019 with potentially large numbers required. It was also reported that the number for 2018 joining BA was just under 280 heads. A guess would be a similar number for this coming year.

As ever with BA all this could evaporate overnight if industry circumstances change but this is todays plan.

Good luck if you are applying
ETOPS is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 11:22
  #5053 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 904
Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
Not sure “desparate” is the adjective I would use but BA need a lot of new bums on seats for the foreseeable future, certainly on the A320 out of both LHR and LGW.

As for the hours flown, well perhaps the pool of high hour type rated applicants prepared to accept the lifestyle change that goes hand in hand with working out of LHR on BA shorthaul T&Cs has reduced.

Anyhow congratulations to Mansnothot, who will be joining just in time to be one of the first very very junior victims of the new rostering system ....I wish him/her the best of luck.
A Junior Pilot on the A380 shown me their Oct roster. Short on that fleet as well perhaps, by the workload. 4 LR trips and 2 Sims. 20 days work. And only 11 airframes, one away on Heavy maintenance in Manila.
cessnapete is online now  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 12:15
  #5054 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 277
I did my sim last week and the very nice TRE told me that BA need at least another 200 for next year on top of this year's intake. Good times indeed.
Reversethrustset is online now  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 12:52
  #5055 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 97
Was told 700 retirements over the next 5 years, plus A350 deliveries start next year. Interesting times ahead
zero/zero is online now  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 15:44
  #5056 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL370
Age: 33
Posts: 231
SH commands are also expected to go very junior, to the extent that we may not have enough bidders for LGW 320 P1s. Anyone joining in the next few months with the required hours may well have a very short wait for a LHS if you’re prepared to go to Gatwick.
EMB-145LR is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 18:48
  #5057 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: North London at last
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by EMB-145LR View Post
SH commands are also expected to go very junior, to the extent that we may not have enough bidders for LGW 320 P1s. Anyone joining in the next few months with the required hours may well have a very short wait for a LHS if you’re prepared to go to Gatwick.
That is a very quick change if absolutely accurate. I came out of the pool a while back for two reasons..... P1 at my current employer and advice that the LHS seat wait at BA would be a long wait even with 8000 jet hours.
FlipFlapFlop is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 19:05
  #5058 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL370
Age: 33
Posts: 231
Originally Posted by FlipFlapFlop View Post
That is a very quick change if absolutely accurate. I came out of the pool a while back for two reasons..... P1 at my current employer and advice that the LHS seat wait at BA would be a long wait even with 8000 jet hours.
I don't know who told you that, but Gatwick has been very junior all year. I know of several who joined at the same time as I did in 2015 who are waiting for command courses at the moment. Unofficially I've heard that Gatwick commands could go sub-4000 on the seniority list next year. At the moment we have a little over 4200 pilots. I know of pilots around 3600-3700 who have already done the internal 'Essentials for Command' course and are just waiting for a course date. Now, if you're waiting for a LH command, that's a totally different story. 20 years plus isn't unrealistic!
EMB-145LR is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 19:40
  #5059 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,385
FlipFlapFlop...

I’m possibly looking at a official comment/ document/message that quite possibly EMB has seen and whilst I won’t quote that source verbatim here I would suggest it strongly supports his opinion regarding shorthaul commands, especially at LGW.

I’d also second the comment that the timescale involved in moving to a left hand seat on longhaul is a completely different order of magnitude...
wiggy is online now  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 19:43
  #5060 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: North London at last
Posts: 91
Thanks EMB. Although I am not unhappy at my decision to stay put (regional base now), a lot of the advice came from within these hallowed halls. I was looking for the post that said it was irrelevant how many hours I had as it would be years before even a SH command opportunity would arise.
FlipFlapFlop is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.