PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Future Pilot Programme.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15

MaydayMaydayMayday
21st Feb 2014, 11:28
CTC guys through to Watergate...

Sounds scandalous! :}

Libertine Winno
21st Feb 2014, 12:03
If there was a 'like' button, MaydayMaydayMayday's post would be a worthy receipient of one from me! :ok:

Wizz219
3rd Mar 2014, 13:04
Just wondering if any other 'rejectees' have heard back from their chosen FTO's about self sponsorship options?

G-F0RC3
4th Mar 2014, 07:19
I think at least some have by now Wizz219. Although I would have thought if you didn't fall into that category you'd have heard back to that effect by now too. Therefore, it might be a good idea to contact the FTO?

2078OWHC
6th Mar 2014, 18:32
Evening everyone!! I've read through the BA final assessment email several times and I've noticed that we only have one maths test which is non calculator?

I may be mistaken as this is my first attempt at the FFP, but I was under the impression there was two maths tests at BA?

LastPastthePost
6th Mar 2014, 19:24
Maybe I need to study my verbal reasoning a bit more, because it thought the email was quite clear about there being only one numerical test.. I wouldn't waste much energy on contemplating about other years..

For my part I am sticking with the same prep and answers as the FTO selection as I don't want to introduce any unknown answers or techniques into the equation..

In other news, I ironed my Waterside shirt at the weekend.. Anyone joining me in wearing pink?:p:p:p:p

G-F0RC3
6th Mar 2014, 19:31
Perhaps you might benefit more from learning what an ellipsis is LastPastthePost. :ok:

PS: I'll be wearing pink too. :)

LastPastthePost
6th Mar 2014, 19:53
Two dots don't make an ellipsis!

Good on you for pink, anything to stand out from the crowd. (No ellipsis)

Not long now for the FTE guys and girls.

G-F0RC3
6th Mar 2014, 19:57
CTC are first, followed by OAA and then FTE last. I take it you're with Oxford? :p

LastPastthePost
6th Mar 2014, 20:23
Apologies, I thought it was the other way around! I really must practise my verbal reasoning.

Yes I am with Oxford, so I have less than two weeks until the big day.

Flyboat North
19th Mar 2014, 02:14
Just had a quick read of the various info websites.

Just have a couple of quick questions.

It seems as though selection is conducted pretty much on an "annual" basis commencing in December of each year for a few months.

Is that pattern likely to continue, you think ? (assuming economy etc all going along OK), and how many per year total are they taking , (thinking this number is 70 to 100 pa)

All selection done in UK (as in FTE come there , instead of people having to travel to Spain?)

Thanks

G-F0RC3
19th Mar 2014, 08:05
It seems as though selection is conducted pretty much on an "annual" basis commencing in December of each year for a few months.

Is that pattern likely to continue, you think ? (assuming economy etc all going along OK), and how many per year total are they taking , (thinking this number is 70 to 100 pa)

The current plan is to run the FPP until 2016. The numbers they are looking for varies from year-to-year, although it seems to be trending downwards. The suggestion is they are looking for 60+ this year, but in previous years it has been more. I suspect your 70-100 figure is about right though.

All selection done in UK (as in FTE come there , instead of people having to travel to Spain?)

Correct. The FTE selection day was in London.

NathanJohnston
24th Mar 2014, 20:17
Regarding the entry requirements (for 2015 intake), I noted that,

'If you have completed, or are planning to complete, any JAR-FCL Airline Transport Pilot ground school examinations (or EASA equivalents) then you should note that in order to be accepted onto the Future Pilot Programme you must NOT have already sat any of these exams at the point of commencing training under this programme.'

Is this specific to ATPL (A) or ATPL (H)?
Also, I remember (may stand corrected, based on 2012 information) that you must not possess CPL. Again is this relative to CPL (A) only? Or could one have a CPL (H) and still apply?

Hopefully this makes sense,
Kind regards in advance.

Boule de beige
24th Mar 2014, 21:53
Good luck to all left in this selection process!

G-F0RC3
25th Mar 2014, 09:36
NathanJohnston; do you have an ATPL(H)? I'd imagine the same rules apply to both (A) and (H) in this case, as - to the best of my knowledge - some of the exams are the same. For instance, air law doesn't change.

It would be amazing to be fully qualified as both a helicopter and aeroplane pilot though. :p

pallan
26th Mar 2014, 13:35
Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone who got through to the selection days at CTC would be prepared to give me any info on how the days went - i.e. how they were organised, questions asked in interviews, types of questions in tests (difficulty etc)?

I'm wanting to apply if/when the FPP opens again this year as I unfortunately just missed out last round because of not having A Level results at that point - having emailed CTC they said they were fairly sure the scheme would reopen this year!

Any info would be very very gratefully welcomed and best of luck to those through to stage 4 at Waterside!

pallan

macs86
27th Mar 2014, 16:48
As i write this post the final group from FTE should just be finishing their assessment day at waterside. Good luck to everyone who applied. The 11th April can't come soon enough! :ok:

LastPastthePost
27th Mar 2014, 18:59
We were told the 31st was the last day for the final stage assessments, but we would find out on the 11th like you..

The gossip was that 140 made it through to the final stage for 65 places..

G-F0RC3
27th Mar 2014, 19:26
Today was the last day. How'd everyone get on? I know what I found hard.

It was a real pleasure to meet such a great bunch of guys and girls whom would all - no doubt - make super BA pilots.

All the best for 11th. :)

LastPastthePost
28th Mar 2014, 10:25
Thats strange, I just double checked my notes and they say the last day is the 31st. I made the notes based on Lindsay's presentation at lunchtime, maybe it was a typo.

For me the day went ok. I dont think it went perfectly but there were no big disasters either. I guess I am somewhere on the bubble.

The only feedback I would have, is that the interview had too much content for the time allocated for it. So I felt the 2nd half of the interview (ie where the note taker swapped) was rushed and it was difficult to give detailed answers under the time constraint.

I've been working the sums on the finance side. If you look at the base rate over the last ten years, its peaked at 5.75% so the interest rate on the loan will be 9.65%. If that happens in the early years, the monthly payments could hit £ 2000. So even with a base salary of 20k plus the monthly 1k repayments, there isn't going to be much money left. It would have been nice to have the option of a fixed rate.

Obviously this is not a reason to turn down such an amazing opportunity (especially compared to the pay to fly deals out there) and hopefully other sources of funding (unsecured loans, shelf stacking etc) will be available in those early first years..

timbuck2
28th Mar 2014, 11:24
I thought it was the 31st as well! On the finance side, although 9% would be a bit of a shock, the Bank of England doesn't look like it's going to do anything drastic with the rates for quite some time so we should start off fairly easily. I'm the same with the assessment, as always there were good parts and, ah, less good parts!

G-F0RC3
28th Mar 2014, 12:21
Strange - we were told we were the last ones. :)

funkyt111
28th Mar 2014, 13:15
I was at yesterday's assessment and this was definitely the last day for this year's FPP intake.

LastPastthePost
28th Mar 2014, 14:44
On the CTC Wings thread a few people have said that BA want more cadets to join from the CTC pool. So maybe they are assessing the "graduated" CTC Cadets until Monday using the same process / methodology as they did for us?

I agree that 5% is unlikely in next year or two, however the loan term is for 9 years which will surely cover a whole economic cycle. So I think it is very likely that interest rates will be above 4% for a portion of the 9 years.

Looking at the shiny Oxford Finance Brochure ( http://www.caeoaa.com/uploadedFiles/Content/Pilot_Training_Program/Our_schools/Brussels(1)/financial%20brochure.pdf ) , BBVA will provide finance at base rate plus 3%, but that requires equity on a property..

I suspect the 3.9% rate is a result of having a "non investment grade" credit rating (ie rated as junk). Lets hope its not paying that much on the finance for its A380's!

Libertine Winno
28th Mar 2014, 17:09
Just curious, but what is the (hypothetical) reason being suggested for BA wanting more cadets from the CTC hold pool...?!

Taxi Kilo
28th Mar 2014, 18:37
They are short of FOs....

pineappledaz
28th Mar 2014, 19:47
G-F0RC3 - Your post would have to be one of the best posts in recent times, staying positive for others. I hope you make it through.

777X
28th Mar 2014, 20:03
CTC are interviewing their own cadets prior to sending those successful onward for BA assessment at LHR. The chosen ones will then have to self fund a airbus type rating at £22,000 through CTC before they can join BA. The same rating costs £10,000 if the decide to join EZY through CTC, but I guess there is a different pay structure at the end.

Over the years BA has always recruited external cadets from the various flying colleges when short on numbers, but paying for your own rating is, if true, a new one.

Only what I heard...

G-F0RC3
28th Mar 2014, 20:23
Thanks pineappledaz. Did you apply or are you thinking about applying next time? :)

ETflyer
29th Mar 2014, 11:47
Does anybody have any idea at all of the mark required to pass the NR and VR tests at waterside or does anybody know how they calculate the score? I do wonder whether certain parts of the assessment day carry more weight than other parts...

pineappledaz
30th Mar 2014, 07:25
G-F0RC3 - Nah I live in NZ too far to commute :). Just thought I would comment as there is a high percentage of negative rubbish in the forums.

Stage5
1st Apr 2014, 14:32
BA are currently short on the SH Airbus fleet and are asking Captains to volunteer as RHS operators for the summer. Some of this is due to delivery slippage of some of the new toys. The FOs online (A320) are expecting a very busy summer schedule.

Good luck to those applying.

LastPastthePost
2nd Apr 2014, 09:32
That’s interesting, I wonder if British Airways classes them as a cadets or first officers.

Ie the benefit of getting on the future pilot program is that you get your training paid back and a free type rating, at the expense of a reduced salary for the first few years vs what a non FPP first officer (ie a direct entry pilot) would get paid.
But if they are paying for their type rating and not getting their training repaid, then in theory they should get a higher salary than a FPP cadet?

ETFlyer, I'm guessing they would want you to be at least in the top half or more likely the top third of all people that take that test. That wouldn't just be pilots, it would be for all industries that use the test. I think you have to pass all areas of assessment, but I suspect there would be a strong bias towards doing well in the Interview (and to a lesser extent the group exercises)

ManUtd1999
3rd Apr 2014, 02:08
But if they are paying for their type rating and not getting their training repaid

I really hope this isn't true, it would be a sad day for aviation if BA has started charging for ratings. Their status as one of the few companies that still does things the "right way" would be under threat.

IMO any cadets taken from CTC should either be employed on the same terms as FPP cadets (ie, they get free type and bond repayment but lower salary), or DEP pilots (free type, full salary). Alternatively if BA are short, why don't they give the people that dropped out of the hold pool a year or so back a ring? Or offer some of the GSS 747 guys losing their jobs due to the loss of the BA Cargo contract an interview? That would be a decent thing to do

planedrive
3rd Apr 2014, 03:21
As far as I am aware the CTC guys are signing the exact same FPP contracts as those on the FPP from the beginning. The only difference is that they had a lot smaller bond to start with than that FPP guys did, which is why they have to pay some up front now (if they pass interview/selelction - it's not just a free ticket in!). If any pass then they will be on the same pay scheme as the original FPP cadets.

LastPastthePost
3rd Apr 2014, 07:04
I just checked and the CTC Wings Course cost is almost exactly the same as the Future Pilot Cost (89k). However those selected from the start as a Future Pilot get their type rating cost included.

So the guys that started on the CTC Wings course will start at BA with 20k more debt, by paying for their type rating. Maybe I have missed something..

BA has some very aggressive profit targets to meet, so maybe taking cheaper cadets and making them pay for their type rating will help them meet these targets.

G-F0RC3
3rd Apr 2014, 08:36
...so maybe taking cheaper cadets and making them pay for their type rating will help them meet these targets.

Even if every new recruit was required to pay £20k for their TR, the realistic saving for BA over the next few years would likely be less than £10 million, and certainly not more than £15 million. While it's true that every little helps, this really is a drop in the ocean compared with BA's profit targets.

And clearly BA greatly values investing in excellent pilot recruits. If they wanted to make huge savings on recruitment then they wouldn't have one of the best cadet recruitment programmes in the world. :ok:

Roger10-4
4th Apr 2014, 16:30
Security bond on CTC Wings is £69000 (Finance and Pilot Training costs | CTC Wings (http://www.ctcwings.com/europe/courses/cadet_programme/finance#3))

Those selected from CTC to enter BA will need to top up their bond to the £84000 which all other FPP cadets paid. So who would argue with paying c£25000 but getting their £84000 bond repaid back over 7 years? Oh...and a job with BA. It's not a case of paying for the JOC and TR, its just a case of bringing the financing in line with the FPP contract from what I understand. Seems like a cracking deal to me.

Pay the same to fly orange and get initially £1200pm and no contract or fly BA for over £4000pm before loan repayments. Let me think about that...

Stage5
4th Apr 2014, 18:38
I do love how CTC call the cost of a course a bond. Great marketing and still nailing it. Well done them.

LastPastthePost
10th Apr 2014, 09:53
I'm quite relaxed about it actually. Don't forget that Lindsay said that it might be they are not ready on the 11th (but will send an email with a new timetable), so your refreshing will continue for longer..

I know the day didn't go perfectly, so I know what I have to work on for my next sponsored cadet application process. Having seen the finances in depth, I think another year of savings wouldn't be a bad thing.

If I don't make the cut, the hardest thing about tomorrow will be deciding whether to apply to the Easyjet MPL or not. Which boils down to whether my ambitions are to be a long haul Captain based in London or a short haul Captain based in London or elsewhere. My gut instinct is that you could have a better quality of life in the regions. (sure you could commute with BA, but that would impact on the quality of life)

Good luck guys and girls..

wiggy
10th Apr 2014, 12:29
sure you could commute with BA, but that would impact on the quality of life

FWIW whilst commuting would be tricky in the early days there are certainly plenty of BA shorthaulers ( left and right seat) who successfully combine commuting with a good quality of life...

McWho
10th Apr 2014, 16:10
When I looked into starting salaries (about a year ago), the highest paying of the bunch were Thompson, at around £35k. £35k FYI after tax is less than £2200 take home.

I would be _very_ surprised if the BA FPP salary was anywhere near £4kpm as quoted by the person on the previous page. This sounds like fantasy to me, even if it were before tax, you're talking £48k starting salary. But eager to be proven wrong!

funkyt111
10th Apr 2014, 16:19
The starting salary for BA cadets is approx 22k + flying allowances equating to approximately 8-10k per year. BA also pay an additional 12k per year tax free for a 7 year periods to repay the bond back to the cadets.

JDA2012
10th Apr 2014, 16:20
Might I recommend reading through this - likely to remain much the same for future years but not, of course, guaranteed:

Future Pilot Programme - Future Pilot ? Other Information and FAQs (http://www.britishairways.com/careers/futurepilot/fppFaqs.shtml)

Most specifically:

The year 1 basic salary for a Future Pilot Programme first officer is £23,220, with a further £8-£10,000 of flying allowances typically being earned in a full year of flying (please note that these allowances are not guaranteed and are subject to levels and type of flying completed). Remember that as well as pay and allowances, British Airways will pay you back your security bond, tax–free, at the rate of £12,000 per year for the first seven years of your employment as a pilot.

It is worth bearing in mind that for some applicants this represents a substantial pay cut. This does not make them any less keen; competitive process this!

Edit: What my fellow Mancunian said!

Stage5
10th Apr 2014, 17:28
Given the shortage of P32Ls (320 F/Os) right now, you may find yourself working rather hard to start with. That said things can and do change.

JDA2012
11th Apr 2014, 08:06
The best of luck to all, congratulations to anyone receiving the good news, and hope to see the rest of you next year. :ok:

naturals
11th Apr 2014, 09:05
Well said that man! Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back today! :ok:

LastPastthePost
11th Apr 2014, 13:08
As expected, didn't make the cut.

Congrats to those that did...

Now for the tough MPL decision..

Cessnaflyer87
11th Apr 2014, 13:13
Same here, i expected this. At least there is the opportunity for feedback, Well done to those who made it through. :ok:

kirungi1
11th Apr 2014, 13:15
commiserations and good luck with your future application(s). I've been following your posts and I quite like them to be honest. Deep inside, I think you're of substance. Hard luck!

G-F0RC3
11th Apr 2014, 13:34
It's good news for me. Delighted! :)

Commiserations to those who didn't make it.

LastPastthePost
11th Apr 2014, 13:37
Congrats G-FORC, I can see from your attitude on here that you deserved a place.

Thanks kirungi1.

Interestingly the reject letter invited you to reapply and didn't caveat it with the 3 year limitation. I'm not near that yet, but maybe if you get through the final round they give you an extra year?

Is it Champagne that gets better with age? Mine might have gone off by the time I get a job as a pilot!

kirungi1
11th Apr 2014, 13:40
Congratulations and well done! Thanks for sharing with us great insights over the time and hoping for more.
Go and fly :ok:

BigOllyG
11th Apr 2014, 13:51
Great work GForce, congratulations!!! All the best for your career I hope it's everything you expect and more.

I imagine your out for a few brews to celebrate!

ThatGingerPilot
11th Apr 2014, 14:18
Hi everybody. Congratulations to those who made the cut, and commiserations to those who didn't - although a hugely respected job of making it so far against fierce competition. 2015 will surely be yours!

I'd like to ask, to anyone who knows, what exactly was the incident (if any) of CTC Wings not having enough assessment day places for those selected for assessment by BA? I'll be seeing CTC Wings as well as OAA and FTE Jerez tomorrow at the PFTE at LHR T5, and as a future BA FPP applicant it will be good to ask them some challenging questions and see what kind of answers they can give.

Likewise, if anyone else has any questions they'd like me to ask the FTOs or BA on their behalf, let me know and I'll give it my best shot.

Once again, congratulations to those who've made it all the way through the BA FPP. This is the start of a dream, enjoy the journey.

speedbird_cadet
11th Apr 2014, 14:45
I've been lurking on this forum for years now...and only ever posted in other threads but today I'm going to break my habit - albeit under a brand new username in honour of finally getting accepted onto a Cadet Pilot Programme.

To my fellow BA Cadets - congratulations, and Ill see some of you during training and the rest when we fly the line together.

To those who have received unwelcome news today... I've been there many times and I share your pain... and there are many pilots worldwide who have been there too. Rejection and set back is all part of the game... but if you want this bad enough...and are prepared to work..and I mean really work for it - you can do it. Learn from each experience - there really is no substitute for being in the game. This was last chance saloon for me - being my 3rd attempt - but I've learned from each previous failure. I'd be willing to bet I'm probably going to be one of the oldest on the course... and the scary thing is that now the hard part really starts, I'm going to be a student for the first time in my life...and I'm going to be poor for a good while. But right now I couldn't be happier :)

A very very proud
Speedbird Cadet to be

eazy123
11th Apr 2014, 15:57
Hi. I just thought I'd say that I have been watching this thread like a hawk, ever since I first set my sights on BA over three years ago. However, I've never taken the time to chip in, so here's my $0.02

For me, it was a yes second time round and quite frankly - I'm completely over the moon.

All I wanted to say is - congrats to those who made it, and commiserations to those who didn't.

From my experience, if you want something bad enough, you do whatever's necessary to make it happen.

I encourage anyone who was turned away at any phase in the application process to persevere and have another crack at it... You NEVER BLOODY KNOW!!!

JDA2012
11th Apr 2014, 18:48
To G-F0RC3 - Massive congratulations, felt sure you would make it! Then again, I thought the same of LPtP and, ahem, myself :O. Still hope to be flying with you in the future (and not as SLF).

To LPtP - So so sorry to hear your news. I do hope you'll give it another crack next year. For what it's worth, I was certainly rooting for you.

To LPtP, and anyone else I suppose - regards the MPL, it is a tough decision. In my case, one of the items on which I was knocked back was being a little unclear on why I wanted to work for BA specifically as opposed to why I wanted to be a pilot.

As a result, I have now dedicated a little time each day to reading about various facets of the BA/IAG operation so that I will know it absolutely inside out by next year's intake. What I have read already has certainly clarified things in my mind, and I will be concentrating on BA and next year's FPP for the next nine months rather than pursuing other avenues. It will of course be rather embarrassing should I not pass the paper sift next time...

To all my fellow rejects: Why do we fall?

G-F0RC3
11th Apr 2014, 20:10
Thanks to all for your kind comments. :)

bram54
11th Apr 2014, 20:48
Well done G-F0RC3, I also got the good news today. shocked and ecstatic in equal measure.

For those who unfortunately didnt get through:

This time last year I was in exactly the same position as you. I had got to Waterside, thought I put in a good performance but got the disappointing news that i wasn't successful. Firstly just reflect how well you did to get the final stage.

Secondly and this is what I did this time last year....Note down the entire application process from start to finish. What you were questioned on your interviews, what type of compass and aptitude tests you did (things that you remember from the tests and how you can maximize your score)

Think about the maths tests and write examples of the questions. Spend the next 6 months finding some great competency based answers and practice.

I found that I was much more prepared this time around and thankfully it worked for me.

Remember that the experience of going to Waterside will put you in a better position for next year.

Good luck all and don't give up.

Propellerhead
11th Apr 2014, 21:41
Most people who didn't get through didn't pass the selection - pass all the tests (maths, english, capacity etc) and you're in with a good shout. Obviously you have to convince of your motivation etc in the interview. However, part of showing motivation and resilience is bouncing back from setback and succeeding next time round after putting in a lot of work on the areas that let you down.

Often those who get in second or third time round go on to be the best as they value what they have more and have a greater hunger.

Enji
11th Apr 2014, 22:47
Well done to all who got this far even if you were not successful this time. To get to the last stage was very good going. Will you be applying for next year's intake?

To G-FORC3, huge congratuations. Have been following this thread for a while and noticed your name pop up frequently since I noticed you're based up here in Scotland.

Stage5
12th Apr 2014, 12:19
Congrats to all those who are successful!

Chin up to those who have not been.

Some good advice has been posted already on actions to take in self diagnosis, such as recalling as much of the process/questions as possible. What would you change about your approach or preparation if facing the same again? What were the interviewers reactions to you and your answers. How much probing was required before moving on?

Go and gain what ever feedback you can ASAP. Be very open and receptive to it. And I REALLY mean that last sentence!

For those looking at EZY et al, take a quick pause before proceeding. If you are spending around £100,000 where do you want it to take you? Do you really want to work for EZY or BA? Is it absolutely vital to be in training this year?

Take stock and ask yourself some very important questions. The FTOs hold back other airline applications until after the FPP has finished selection for some very good reasons. One is resources, but the others are financial. They are a business.
My point is do not go rushing head first into the 'next best thing' without doing some self diagnosis/washup.

All the best to all looking to start a new career in aviation.

Luke_Stern
12th Apr 2014, 18:06
I've also been following this year's FPP thread with great curiosity. Albeit merely as an observer, since I wasn't in a position to apply for 2013 / 2014 scheme. This way letting others - more informed and experienced candidates - usefully contribute to the debate.

@LastPastthePost and many other who didn't make the cut this year: It might be appropriate if I try to answer @JDA2012's question as to Why do we fall? - We fall so that we can bounce back. This way success will one day taste all the more sweeter … Learn from mistakes, apply new-gained knowledge and improve yourselves. And good luck.

@G-F0RC3 (and other successful applicants): I can honestly say it's been a pleasure reading through your posts, experiences and insights over the past 6 months. To me it comes as no surprise why such a great airline company as British Airways, decided to choose You. Definitely deserve it. Congrats. All the best with Your training and have fun.

Also many thanks to @MaydaMaydayMayday and other successful applicants from previous years that have been generously contributing to this year's thread by offering their advice and with their experience have helped others. Again, it comes as no surprise why BA has awarded you last year with this wonderful opportunity. Necessary key characteristics needed for a BA captain unapologetically shine through your posts … MaydaMaydayMayday, I didn't have a chance to personally thank you for advising on that Question of mine a few months back. Thank you, sir. It helped a lot. All I can do is apply, be honest, work hard, hopefully get an opportunity in front of BA recruitment board to explain my past mistakes and how they've helped me to better myself, and hope for the best.

The level of quality of successful candidate's profiles as it can be perceived from this and previous threads make me feel a bit timid that I'd have even a remote chance of being selected. But this way I thoroughly understand my aspiration why I'd love to fly for British Airways. An airline company is as good as are its employees. And BA set the standard very high. I'd probably be over the moon to be one day given a chance to fly the line with such exquisite group of future pilots.

@ThatGingerPilot: Thanks for volunteering to ask BA any questions at PFTE on behalf of others. Hope my Q isn't too late, but I'd like to ask whether there was anything said about BA running the FPP also in November of 2016? Or, will the last FPP selection phase commence in November of 2015? - There's been some misinformation about this. In following interview Mr. Lindsay Craig explained (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0rA7230-U ) about BA FPP being a five-year pilot recruitment strategy. This would suggest the last scheme should open in Fall of 2015 and successful candidates probably being informed of their selection in April of 2016. However BA representatives have been answering prospective candidates on this very question (see comments in following YT recruitment video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4nAFqVADts ) that BA plans on annually running this programme every year for the foreseeable future. This way suggesting the FPP will run in 2016, maybe even beyond. (I wouldn't like to miss this oppurtunity, but due to some of my contractual agreements I wouldn't be in a position to apply before Nov 2016. And even if selected, start training in Fall of 2017.) Thank you for any kind of information.

ThatGingerPilot
12th Apr 2014, 18:22
Hello all! Interesting day the Professional Flight Training Exhibition at LHR T5, three main points I picked up on regarding the BA FPP.

Last year, the BA FPP program was actually short 10 pilots due to a large number failing the maths portion of the assessment. This year, CTC Wings has an agreement that, should the BA FPP yield another shortage of pilots, that Integrated Cadets of CTC may well be assigned to BA.
I was initially under the impression that the idea behind the BA FPP was that it would recruit 400 pilots over 4 years, and this was confirmed by a British Airways pilot I spoke to today at the PFTE. However, in the CTC Wings "A Flying Start to 2014" brochure picked up today, it reads "The BA FPP will enable up to 500 aspiring airline pilots (over five years)" - Read into it what you will.
The BA Pilot I spoke to said that the BA FPP for 2015 was "possible but not confirmed.". Yet when I spoke to a senior figure for CTC Wings, I was told that the CTC wings was "100%, definitely coming this year". Plus, BA did a presentation on the FPP - surely a bit odd if they weren't going to run it again, no?

Everything above is speculation and open to interpretation, but I feel interesting nonetheless. If you were at PFTE today, please feel free to share what you found out as well.

bex88
12th Apr 2014, 19:14
today we are really short of crew and that will continue all summer, next year they will have an idea on numbers but really I dont think we know ourselves. There does seem to be a ongoing commitment to FPP over DEP at the moment

wiggy
12th Apr 2014, 19:54
today we are really short of crew....... I dont think we know ourselves.

As I suspect you well know there are rumours that there's possibly a bit of politics and an agenda behind the current problems the company may be with having with manning on some fleets.

I think the company are (rightly) committed to continuation of the FPP but I think some in management would rather undergo root canal surgery without anaesthetic than rush out and recruit 'bus rated DEPs....

Propellerhead
13th Apr 2014, 00:21
I don't think FPP was intended to be at the expense of DEP recruitment. The idea was BA had a large predicted recruitment requirement over the medium term with no certainty as to when the post 55ers would retire. DEP recruitment alone wasn't able to meet the highest forecast recruitment need so the idea was FPP provides a stable known number of pilots on a set timetable and then DEPs fill in the gaps. Best case was a 50/50 split but with the bmi integration BA found themselves over crewed and do didn't need the DEPs but had already committed to FPP due the long lead in times. There's no sinister plan to recruit FPPs over DEPs, it's just driven my commercial realities and the continually changing plan.

wiggy
13th Apr 2014, 05:21
Wiggy committed to FPP is all well and good, there's a place for it. But as I said, it is a disgrace that it is at the absolute expense of direct entry.

Just to be clear I'm not disagreeing with you, in fact I agree with you entirely, but I'm not involved in recruiting.

As bex has hinted at certain statuses are seemingly very very short of manpower and IMHO DEP recruitment would make perfect sense if BA wanted to fix the problem....but I suspect ;) there are internal company politics and Industrial issues involved that are, shall we say, complicating matters.

LastPastthePost
14th Apr 2014, 07:43
Congrats again to the those who got selected.

For me I know where I went wrong. The 2nd group exercise was quite complicated in that you had to do quite a few calculations to answer some of the objectives of the tasks. I asked if anyone wanted to keep track of that, which was followed by an awkward silence (as no one wanted to have their heads down in calculations for part of the exercise), so I felt having asked the question I should offer to do it. So I spent the majority of the exercise doing calculations.

The other error I made was that my competency examples were too long and as the interview progressed the interviewers kept asking me to be brief. This is in line with my only feedback to BA that there was too much content for the time in the interview. I'm in a very technical role at the moment, so most of the answers needed context.

Also, if I am 100% honest - I didn't want the job as much as some of the others I saw at Waterside. I'm lucky to have a very good job already and I was particularly busy the week up to the selection. Contrast that with some of the candidates there who had no plan B, its was obvious they put more time into preparation, coaching, tests etc. The more I looked into British Airways and IAG, the more concerned I got about its finances and its ability to grow in the future. Again, if I was 100% honest, if I had to invest my own money in Airline Stocks, BA would be towards the bottom of the pile. I'm not saying that these two points would have stopped me taking the job, but that the fact I had some doubts creeped into my performance on the day. This is why I'm happy for the people that made the cut, as they deserved it more than me.

So having my mind made up for me, I think the easyJet MPL is a great opportunity. I will be reflecting on the above and using it to improve my performance for this program. I suspect it will be just as competitive (or even more because its entry criteria are lower) as the Future Pilot Program.

ManWithoutSkin
14th Apr 2014, 08:13
I suspect it will be just as competitive (or even more because its entry criteria are lower) as the Future Pilot Program.

CTC's entry criteria to get on the easyJet MPL is higher than BA this year, a 2.1 degree to get on easyJet rather than a 2.2 to get on BA.

LastPastthePost
14th Apr 2014, 08:35
I stand corrected. I'm sure last year it was lower.

No Desmunds at easyJet! (Well at least at CTC, I see Oxford will still take a 2:2)

JDA2012
14th Apr 2014, 08:39
Interesting restriction on experience for the OAA MPL - thankfully this was not the case for the 2014 FPP route (and is not mentioned on the CTC easyJet page either):
Have no more than 85 hours powered flight experience

Conscious of thread drift, so will keep my commentary to that statement and the hope that BA are not likely to introduce a similar restriction in future

LPtP - that is a genuinely fascinating post. I am in very much the same sort of position and made very much the same types of mistakes, albeit I managed to rule myself out at the OAA stage. You perhaps only realise that your motivation is not absolute when you run into someone who truly has no other options. Still - next year, I will be ready...

Fostex
14th Apr 2014, 10:25
Be careful about overplaying your experience.

I was at Waterside in 2013 but missed out at the final stage. This year I didn't even make it as far as the FTO test centre! I suspect it was because I have a lot of PPL flying experience and this time around I gave a more comprehensive summary and listed I had done my IMC IR(R) and was studying towards ATPLs ( although I pointed out I had not yet sat any exams as per the BAFPP requirement ). Next year I plan to just say I hold a PPL(A) with no mention of the several additional ratings or hours.

Sadly in this new world flying experience is frowned on! :confused:

G-F0RC3
14th Apr 2014, 13:07
Very interesting post LastPastThePost. Your honesty and self-reflection are admirable. I just wanted to pick up on this point you made though, as I don't really agree.

The more I looked into British Airways and IAG, the more concerned I got about its finances and its ability to grow in the future.

British Airways recorded very strong profits in 2013 after re-surfacing from one of the worst recessions in living memory. There has been a strong emphasis on reducing the airline's cost base, and now it's in much better shape for sustainable and profitable growth. So - really - if there was a time to be concerned about BA's finances I think it was five years ago rather than now.

In terms of IAG, the group's prospects appear good. Iberia made a loss last year but that was expected with all the internal restructuring it has gone through. It's anticipated that they will be profitable next year and Vueling are also looking strong. :)

LastPastthePost
14th Apr 2014, 14:40
I don't doubt that its made progress, but still has a long way to go. I was most concerned by this comment from Keith Williams "We moved BA's operating profit target from £ 1.1 bn to £ 1.3bn by 2015 for a reason. By making £ 1.1 bn we would be treading water - holding our own but nothing more. By making £ 1.3 bn we will be providing investors with a return on capital, making them money, as all businesses need to."

So currently its only making a third of its profit target, in what I would consider to be good conditions over the last 12 months (ie Oil Prices, Economic Growth etc). Compare that to the levels of profit at Delta, America, Ryanair and easyJet (taking into account their respective balance sheets, passenger km's etc). So where is that 800m going to come from? No doubt Vuelling will help, but from that I've seen BA needs to meet its own profit targets for both Long and Short Haul.

Ultimately the penal interest rate you have to pay on your loan is because British Airways still has a junk credit rating, so you have to pay a huge markup compared to the base rate.

As I said, this would not have stopped me taking up the role but it did give me reservations. I think its great that your defending BA G-FORC, because it shows that your a better match at British Airways than me.

kirungi1
14th Apr 2014, 15:20
I like the analysis of the finances from both sides - very objective. I'm not sure of the timing of this debate as it sort of leaves a sour taste especially after last weeks developemts.

What I can vouch for however is the high quality of this analysis for such a fine line - swinging from side to side. I have the highest regard for contributors here but what I do not want is to let myself be led into the shadows of the many excellent insights, experiences, et la shared over the time on this forum especially with regard to the BA FPP. :=

For the FPP successful applicants; have you heard about the medicals and if yes what?

LastPastthePost
14th Apr 2014, 15:50
I agree, the Future Pilot Program is a great initiative and congratulations to those who are on it. It helps aspiring pilots and saves British Airways money too, so also helps meet the profit target..

beng123
14th Apr 2014, 22:16
Very surprised and happy to say i got an offer! Did anyone else from the 11th get in? Hard luck and well done everyone.

G-F0RC3
15th Apr 2014, 09:45
Congratulations beng123! :ok:

Any guys who were at Hounslow (FTE assessment) on 16th Dec make it through? :)

speedbird_cadet
15th Apr 2014, 11:01
Anybody from OAA in the 'Yes' pile on here ?

wiggy
15th Apr 2014, 11:58
I don't doubt that its made progress, but still has a long way to go. I was most concerned by this comment from Keith Williams

Without wishing to diverge from the thread LptP, I think I need to make a point for the benefit of others here who are considering BA and are now perhaps alarmed by your statements.

KW's comments are being made at a time when the company is deep in pay negotiations and frankly it is struggling to convince its employees to accept the RPI increase that is on offer ( I believe Unite rejected the latest offer about a month back). The CEO is well aware any announcement will be pounced on by the Unions and so he is hardly likely to say... "everything is wonderful, there's no pressure on the cost base". The CEOs/CFOs of all airlines have made (and will make) similar gloomy pronouncements when it suits them and I would not recommend making life and career changing decisions based on such statements.

IMHO the big risk/big threat for anyone joining BA isn't the company going broke, it's the fact that the pressure to drive costs down will erode T&C's, scheduling agreements, etc, down to the level of that seen at some of the LoCo's....

Sheepboy95
15th Apr 2014, 13:40
G-FORC3...I was one of those lucky enough to be at Hounslow on the 16th December and to be offered a place on the FPP course! I went to Waterside on Wednesday 26th March...

kirungi1
15th Apr 2014, 17:09
Congratulations and job well done. Has it sunk in yet?

MaydayMaydayMayday
15th Apr 2014, 17:32
Fostex, based on some of the folk currently on the FPP, I don't think having too much ppl experience is necessarily a drawback.

Most of those who were successful won't have hundreds of hours already in the bag, probably not because it's frowned upon but because the vast majority of applicants won't have already done hundreds of hours of flying. There are certainly folk in the programme with hours running into the hundreds, or even an instructor rating, just not the majority.

Still, who knows.

TODA.1
15th Apr 2014, 17:56
I second all congratulatory remarks to ALL who achieved in excelling so far into the process.
Out of interest, would anyone happen to have the 'numbers' of applicants and chosen cadets?
Thanks

hawkeye456
15th Apr 2014, 18:20
Congrats to all who made it! I was one of the unlucky ones again. Having made it to the final stage 3 years in a row I had my hopes set pretty high this year so the fall hurt even more when I got the email. It's hard to not sit here thinking maybe I'm not cut out for the industry but I refuse to believe it. I've met a few pilots who took more than three times to get in, one who took 9 attempts! So all those who weren't successful don't give up.
I was there on the first day of CTC (11th) and had a great time with everyone and was a pleasure meeting everyone. All were a good bunch of lads. One in particular who had failed last year on maths alone I was wondering how you did??

dontforgetthecowls
15th Apr 2014, 18:27
LPtP,

Don't be too disheartened about failing this time around. I was in your position last year, then rejected by easyJet but bounced back for a pass 2nd time around at Waterside. It's surprising how much of an advantage you have when you know the process at final stage.

I do share your concerns about the financial performance of BRitish Airways. Take easyJet at Gatwick, very tough competitor. Brand new planes (it's an indication of BAs financials that we can't commit to new frames at Gatwick), no pension deficit, flexible fares, fast track security, no alliance /lounge overheads, global distribution systems, free early home transfers. I was also concerned about the two airmanship incidents over the last year (hence my id) My take on it is that once your in, you can be part of and contribute to the success :D:D

I think the distinction behind legacy and "low cost" carriers will continue to become blurred. Both from a passenger and employee point of view. I don't expect at the end of my career to have the same terms as today, in all likelihood we will both meet in the middle.

Also, I love pprune but it's a distraction during the final stage. Focus on your own performance, not others..

eazy123
16th Apr 2014, 08:33
Anyone from CTC day 3 (13th March) successful? It was a nice group of people and I hope that some made it through.

Alleyesup
20th Apr 2014, 20:01
Has anyone else who got through heard anything since?

G-F0RC3
21st Apr 2014, 07:30
No. I'm not expecting to hear anything until the end of the month at the earliest. I imagine it's quite a task for APL to co-ordinate the start dates for sixty-odd cadets in line with BA's requirements while also ensuring compliance with the available start dates at the three FTOs. :)

Which FTO did you make it through Alleyesup?

naturals
21st Apr 2014, 09:28
G-F0RC3 - I was sad enough to actually go through the posts from last year and work out the time from the decision being made to start dates being allocated. Last year it was around two weeks so hopefully we should find out later this week / early next week. That said there's two Bank Holidays in the way this year which may not have been there last year so I wouldn't be surprised if it took longer.

Does anyone know anything about the BA medical and how it differs from the Class 1?

yanny
21st Apr 2014, 10:53
The BA medical is pretty similar to a Class 1 renewal, it will only take about 30 mins and part of it is to talk about health risks that are common to pilots and ways to combat them.

G-F0RC3
21st Apr 2014, 11:25
Thanks for the info naturals. :ok:

Alleyesup
21st Apr 2014, 14:34
Excellent work naturals, thanks for the info. I am with OAA G-F0RC3, and you?

naturals
21st Apr 2014, 14:44
The BA medical is pretty similar to a Class 1 renewal, it will only take about 30 mins and part of it is to talk about health risks that are common to pilots and ways to combat them.

Thanks Yanny

G-F0RC3
21st Apr 2014, 14:49
Excellent work naturals, thanks for the info. I am with OAA G-F0RC3, and you?

I'm with FTE. :p

Alleyesup
21st Apr 2014, 15:06
And which FTO are you with naturals?

aviator-P
24th Apr 2014, 00:33
***Oh wow, that's odd!! I'm thinking that maybe BA's HR teams are finding it difficult to track down and verify his/her references.

Whilst I'm here I'd like to congratulate the lucky (but well deserved) chosen few on gaining a place in this year FPP, Well done!!! :ok:

I'm guessing for the rest of us, it's time to keep busy and evaluate where it went wrong and to develop some more experiences and skills which would give us a better chance for next years stages. Best of luck aviators.

Alleyesup
24th Apr 2014, 01:09
I'm itching to get started already! Guessing you guys are the same!

V1_Rotate_
24th Apr 2014, 09:10
Congratulations to the lucky few who have been accepted onto this years FPP course :ok:.

Is anybody who made it to the final stages but didn't make it onto the course still waiting for feedback from BA? Also, has anybody heard from their chosen FTO since receiving the bad news?

naturals
24th Apr 2014, 09:42
I'm thinking that maybe BA's HR teams are finding it difficult to track down and verify his/her references.

Anyone know if they've started obtaining references yet? If they have I'd better have a quiet word with my boss soon!!

naturals
24th Apr 2014, 10:29
While I'm online I figured it might be worth jotting down a few observations, tips, words of wisdom and general ramblings that I hope might help people next year.

1. Keep trying. I applied last year, made it well through the process but (sadly) didn't make the cut. I know why, and learnt from it. I seriously considered not applying this time round as I was left feeling absolutely crushed last year. Obviously I'm now very glad I did have a second crack. I know from experience how tough not getting in is but PLEASE don't let it get to you personally.

2. Make notes; lots of notes. More. You have no idea how invaluable it was having a list of observations from last year to help with my preparation. I'm not going to be drawn into specifics on the assessments but lots of small things caught me out last year. They didn't this year; if it weren't for the notes I'd have forgotten nearly all of it.

3. Don't be afraid of making mistakes. Everybody makes them; the worst possible thing you can do after making a mistake in an interview, group exercise, maths test, etc. is to let it impact upon your performance for the rest of the session. Don't sweat it, move on straight away. You can review it after the day has finished.

4. Practice, practice, practice. In the month up to the interviews I was spending at least an hour a day on general maths / physics / BA knowledge preparation. On top of that most days I spend an hour practicing interview Q&As with my partner. The week before the interview I upped this to 3-4 hours of prep a day. With 100%, absolute certainty, this was what helped me the most. Never ever think you've prepared enough. There's always more to do.

5. Keep trying. This really is the most crucial one so it's worth re-stating. I haven't personally heard of anyone succeeding first time round (though I know a couple of Pprune members have managed it). Everyone I know who got in did it on either their second or third time applying. Many BA pilots I've spoken to took half a dozen attempts to get in. Make of this what you will.

kirungi1
24th Apr 2014, 11:55
Thank you for this and more. Your post goes a very long way for people like myself and if I could please use this chance to congratulate both you and your partner for the achievement. Well done and good luck with your career at BA.

speedbird_cadet
24th Apr 2014, 12:07
Well said Naturals - couldn't agree more.... Especially with Point 4. I did a similar thing to you and it definitely made the difference for me. Its no secret on this forum that the Maths and Motivation elements are probably the areas most people need to work on.

kirungi1
24th Apr 2014, 12:16
Thanks Speedbird_cadet, and how interesting it is in the background of preparation to that of naturals and you both beat the competition. I would take your advice seriously!

flyingcyclist
24th Apr 2014, 12:47
Anyone know if they've started obtaining references yet? If they have I'd better have a quiet word with my boss soon!! Not until 3 months before your start date, of which we were told some time mid-May I think.

G-F0RC3
24th Apr 2014, 13:23
I already told my colleagues. They were going to find out soon enough anyway, so I figured I might as well give them the heads up to help them plan ahead at how they are going to replace me. I haven't officially handed in my notice yet though; and I reserve the right to hold off on that until everything is in place. :p

I can particularly relate to your points 3 and 4 naturals. Number 3 because nobody is perfect. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and - while it's possible that some people performed amazingly well at everything - I haven't personally spoken to one successful candidate who did. And number 4; because without having invested a huge amount of time preparing I would not have made it.

JDA2012
24th Apr 2014, 16:51
Thank you chaps, and particularly naturals - most illuminating. I have already resolved to return next year, and am dedicating 45 mins every day to learning about BA (and occasionally other topics such as jet engine technology), plus spending 3h+ per day on an OU BSc in Natural Sciences, which should cover off the maths/science elements.

I have also taken a new job based partially in Slough so that I am conveniently placed to visit Waterside, tour the Heritage Collection, become familiar with the Heathrow, Gatwick and London City operations, have a go on the 737 simulator etc. etc., as well as visiting my "local" Concorde at Manchester Airport whilst back home. I have seriously considered taking advantage of some of the cheap day fares just to get a feel for the BA "experience" and am looking for opportunities to get onboard a 787 (my preferred "target" aircraft).

I am also working on various more desirable personal traits (I have been described as abrasive :(); in addition, I will be booking in for one of the OAA selection days to gain further experience of the process and see how I am progressing (though I appreciate their own criteria differ slightly). Finally, I'm planning on adding an Advanced PPL + Basic Aero rating (from Ultimate High) and another 50 hours to my licence this year, as despite having no issues with the technical assessment last time there is, as you say, always room for improvement, and I can't start CPL/ATPL exams without counting myself out of the FPP process.

Any other feedback gratefully taken on board, and perhaps this gives other hopefuls some ideas - will look good when I don't even get past stage 1, eh? :E

bram54
24th Apr 2014, 19:56
I cannot agree more with naturals. I was successful this year having failed at last hurdle previously.

While the process was fresh in mind, I also documented everything from interview questions to aptitude testing. This helped immensely in my case and allowed me to concentrate on the important areas.

Out of interest to fellow cadets, any idea when we can expect more information from BA?

naturals
24th Apr 2014, 22:03
JDA2012: Just one general comment - you seem to be focussing quite highly on the technical side of things.

Once thing you don't mention is interview skills. Nobody knows how BA assess the rounds (i.e. whether one assessment method is weighted more than others). My own impression is that the interview is probably the most important element to differentiate yourself from other applicants (after all, by the final round at BA I suspect the variation in maths and technical skills isn't going to be enormous).

See if you can make friends with someone in HR / personnel or even a small business owner who can give you some feedback on your interview skills. Someone who can give honest, impartial feedback here is invaluable.

I made the mistake last year of preparing way too hard for the PILAPT and maths elements, to the point of neglecting the interview skills. No prizes for guessing which round I felt I'd underperformed in last time.

beng123
24th Apr 2014, 22:09
I agree with what naturals has said, I applied this year and was lucky enough to get the nod at my first attempt. What I would add is look for opportunities in your day to day life where you can demonstrate the qualities ba are looking for.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
27th Apr 2014, 09:04
Naturals, that is a quality post, and guys and gals who take on those points and learn from them will move forward in their flying career.

I remember having my last attempt at BA for a full sponsorship 17 years ago, to which I was unsuccessful. 2 Years ago I joined BA and its a good place to be! :ok:.

All the best guys.

Libertine Winno
29th Apr 2014, 19:54
I got through with FTE...

beng123
29th Apr 2014, 21:14
Anyone have any idea when we might hear something? I'm thinking anytime this week

Alleyesup
29th Apr 2014, 22:28
Hopefully soon, I'm hitting refresh almost as often as I was on the 11th at the moment!

G-F0RC3
29th Apr 2014, 22:53
Refresh? I was under the impression the next phase would involve something a little more tangible than an email? There's a lot of documents to look through and I presume it'll require a signature or two as well. :p

Alleyesup
29th Apr 2014, 22:55
This is true, however I can't refresh my letterbox so I will take what I can whilst I excitedly wait! :p

LastPastthePost
2nd May 2014, 17:24
Just checking in to say I got my feedback. The surprise was that I appeared to have passed the interview but as expected I failed the Group exercise. I learnt a valuable lesson in not to volunteer to be the accountant!

Catching up on this thread (and others) on what people did to prepare - well done. You really deserve it, I would say I spent about 8 hours prep for the whole program and I'm encouraged I failed on something I know I can change.

The only thing I would discourage in general is the people that buy the software that copy the aptitude tests. The two reasons I would say are: 1. They are supposed to measure your aptitude, if you spend hours on them practising to pass then who knows if you really have the aptitude? 2. By practising them your setting the pass mark higher for those with the natural aptitude, who might fail with your inflated scores.

From my point of view I'm still committed to a Career as a Pilot. I'm going for the easyJet MPL. Obviously there are pro's and con's between the airlines, but I would challenge anyone who is passionate about aviation to turn down a chance to fly a A320 just because it has an Orange tail vs red white and blue!

Thanks to British Airways too, particularly for the feedback. It has certainly given me confidence going forward.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the FPP applicants of 2014 met up in 10 years time to see what paths we took? I wonder who would be happiest.

Plastic787
2nd May 2014, 17:36
Don't get too carried away thinking the aptitude tests are good bell weathers for your ability as a pilot. I'm seen some very skilled aviators perform poorly on them and some very poor aviators perform well. They are a filtering mechanism, nothing more nothing less.

funkyt111
2nd May 2014, 17:50
Verbal reasoning test did it for me as I expected! Oh well. At least I know now. I was far too pedantic on the day and only answered 21 questions. I think next time I will be taking a stop watch. It's reassuring to know that I performed well enough in every other aspect.

Alleyesup
2nd May 2014, 17:50
LastPastThePost,

As long as you are not discouraged that is the main thing. I applied last year, and I knew on the day I had messed up my chances (my aptitude test went horribly wrong, and probably my interview afterwards as I was a bit shell-shocked), I was obviously upset when I received the email to confirm my fears, but it only took a day or two for me to put things into perspective and I came back even better prepared and hungrier than ever. I hope you can also do the same. Luckily things went well for me this time around, and of course I couldn't be happier.

As for the Easy MPL, I would agree in saying that no one knows what the future may bring. Whilst I'm sure that most aspiring pilots (myself included) dream of flying the speedbirds, that is not to say you wouldn't be equally as happy (if not more so) flying somewhere else. If you want proof of how quickly people are willing to cast aside prejudices about which airline they want to fly for, you need look no further than the self-sponsored students coming out of the FTOs, all desperate for any job they can land.

Ultimately, I am sure that dealing well with setbacks and showing perseverance are both qualities that BA seek, so maybe if you were to re-apply next year this great attitude you clearly demonstrate will swing the vote in your favour.

Whatever the outcome, I wish you the very best of luck, and don't give up!! :)

future captain
2nd May 2014, 18:44
Anyone else fail for just group phase of assessment?

tomjravo
2nd May 2014, 20:41
I got through with FTE as well :). Is there anyone else on here who got through with FTE aside from G-FORC3 and Libertine Winno?

tomjravo
3rd May 2014, 12:16
Sweet. I spoke to the FTE guys when I was at the Heathrow Flyer exhibition with my Uni and they seemed to think that we would all be starting in the autumn as there's only 11 of us going there.

average-punter
3rd May 2014, 22:49
Congratulations to those that were lucky enough to make it, the hard work starts from here!

To those that didn't make it, commiserations. I know it's a horrible feeling not to get it but there have been great posts here with some excellent advice that is well worth following. One thing I found useful was creating a word document over the years and writing down anything I did that I thought would answer a competency question, the document grew with examples from both my personal and professional life and was very useful when it came to preparing for interviews.

Potty
7th May 2014, 10:17
Any dates for you lot yet?

Alleyesup
7th May 2014, 16:56
Still dying to hear more news, but I keep telling myself I should enjoy the calm before the storm that is ground school! ha

TODA.1
7th May 2014, 18:50
Would anybody be aware of the number of applicants to the Programme? Also, would anybody be aware of the number of successful candidates this year? (Congratulations to you if applicable!)
Thanks

Alleyesup
7th May 2014, 18:56
Someone above said 50 candidates were selected this year, which if correct, is 10 less than BA were looking for. I have no idea about the total number of applicants, but believe either the first or second year to have had in the region of 6000, though it wouldn't surprise me if the numbers fell year-on-year.

average-punter
7th May 2014, 20:18
I've been told 3500 applied and 50 were successful.

tomjravo
7th May 2014, 20:19
I was told by BA and FTE whilst at Flyer exhibition that approximately 5000 applied for 65-70 places, but only 50 people met the standard.

TODA.1
7th May 2014, 20:27
Thank you alleyesup & average-punter!

ManUtd1999
7th May 2014, 21:24
So roughly 1/70 make the grade? There's a stat to please everyone who got in, you're in the top 1.5% of applicants! Any breakdown of the numbers from each school?

Now for a more relevant point about reapplying. Am I right in thinking there is no barrier to reapplying next time regardless of how far through the process you got this time? And is the limit of 3 applications in total still in place? If so, next years numbers could be a bit lower as it will be the first time where people who have applied and been rejected 3 times are prevented from doing so again.

TODA.1
7th May 2014, 22:36
Good question for all we remaining hopefuls! :}
I have read on the forum that the BA-FPP will remain only for another 3 years, is this confirmed or rumor? I am of the opinion it would be subject to demand and BA's recruitment requirements, and as we all know qualitative factors can shout louder than we can!

G-F0RC3
7th May 2014, 22:58
As far as I'm aware you cannot apply for the programme more than three times, irrespective of how far through the process you got on any of those attempts.

I believe the FPP is planned to run until 2016. If there are operational reasons for running it beyond that then it's likely that BA will do so. :)

I'd be surprised if only 50 made the cut, and it would be quite unbelievable if only 11 from FTE did. I really doubt either is true to be honest. Three from my very first assessment day made it the whole way, and I cannot believe that only another eight guys in total made it with FTE. Surely not? := It would be a remarkable coincidence if true.

Anyway, role on the start dates... :p

ThatGingerPilot
8th May 2014, 08:17
BA confirmed at the LHR PFTE back in April that it was the maths that caught most people out; having not applied to the FPP, am I right in thinking that speed distance time calculations are a big part of the maths portion, or is there more to it?

G-F0RC3
8th May 2014, 09:47
The maths did catch a lot of people out. The questions were varied I felt, and I don't recall there being an over-emphasis on one particular type of question. But in reality the questions weren't difficult; it was the lack of available time that made it hard.

But I doubt the maths tripped up many people at Waterside. If you were good enough to pass the first one then you'd almost certainly be good enough to pass the second one.

chris_
8th May 2014, 10:20
Congrats to all that got through.
I'm new here and missed the boat on this FPP.
Any rough idea of when it will re-open? (Obviously I'm aware they've only just finished dealing with the applications for the previous FPP).

I think I've read somewhere that October/November time it will open again, though I'm unsure - unless anyone has better information that me?

TODA.1
8th May 2014, 11:13
So would anybody think that there is any truth in the '3 remaining years of the BA FPP' idea?

G-F0RC3
8th May 2014, 11:43
There's currently a shortage of pilots on BA's 320 fleet. Consequently, there appears no reason why the FPP wouldn't run for at least the next two or three years. Furthermore, if the rumours are true that BA haven't been able to acquire the numbers they wanted on this intake (and indeed on previous intakes) then they may well choose to run the FPP even longer to cover the shortfall. Nothing is guaranteed though. :E

If previous FPPs are anything to go by then it'll open up for applications again around November.

TODA.1
10th May 2014, 12:23
So with the '50 successful' number in view;
Oxford = ?
FTE = ?
CTC = ?

TODA.1
10th May 2014, 20:05
Thanks. Anybody know what the youngest age was for a successful applicant? Just out of curiousity.

tomjravo
10th May 2014, 20:24
I myself am 20, I know of one successful person who is 19. There's quite a range in age!

Alleyesup
10th May 2014, 20:46
As far as I know, it benefits BA to have a spread of ages. That way, they don't get everyone retiring at the same time, and less people who hit the top pay tier, or at least spend less time on it.

TODA.1
10th May 2014, 21:01
Age 19 is quite the achievement! (As is any age in this competitive process!:ok:)

naturals
11th May 2014, 10:03
I presume everyone is still waiting to hear back on start dates? Has anyone contacted their FTO for an indication of when we might hear back?

G-F0RC3
11th May 2014, 10:58
naturals; as of the beginning of the week BA were still in discussions with APL regarding start dates. :ok: I suspect next week might bring the news.

naturals
11th May 2014, 10:59
Thanks for the update G-F0RC3 - appreciate it.

tomjravo
11th May 2014, 18:07
I had a call from FTE on thursday morning, asking if I had heard from BA or APL.
The woman I spoke to seemed under the impression that the first people started in June and that these people already know, which seems very early! She seemed to think that we would then be starting each consecutive month after that, a few at a time. I don't know how she's gathered this information and it contradicts what BA originally said but there you go. Hopefully we'll get something in writing soon!

MaydayMaydayMayday
12th May 2014, 02:24
tomjravo, There's certainly a course from FPP2 starting at FTE in June. (ie. They applied in November 2012). Not a clue about FPP3, although that would seem pretty quick for sorting out medicals, references, finances etc.

ManUtd1999
12th May 2014, 03:21
There's certainly a course from FPP2 starting at FTE in June. (ie. They applied in November 2012)
Wow, that's along time to wait! Circa 15 months from getting accepted to starting training!

TODA.1
12th May 2014, 16:15
Has anybody been successful with the minimum education requirements i.e. A Levels?

timbuck2
12th May 2014, 16:43
I know of one person who got a place with just A-Levels - and only one grade above the minimum requirement at that.

speedbird_cadet
12th May 2014, 16:48
TODA. 1 - Yes is the answer.

A lot of people have asked various questions about "The odds" of this programme, and the upper and lower ages, the minimum academic quals, maximum number of hours for PPL holders etc...etc..

This is a fair and honest scheme - BA have set a minimum 'Bar' in terms of what you must have in order to enter. If you meet this criteria (and its a fairly broad one) then you have the same chances as everyone else. After that the selection process doesn't care if you are 19 or 49, with 3 A Levels or a PHD in Particle Physics, Male or Female, nationality, any of those things - its a genuinely fair process and looks only at merit and ability.

If you meet the criteria - go for it.:ok:

TODA.1
13th May 2014, 15:36
Thanks SC.
Was this your first time applying to the scheme?

speedbird_cadet
13th May 2014, 15:45
TODA.1 - Nope.

Are you compiling stats on the FPP ;)

TODA.1
13th May 2014, 16:00
Not at all SC! There are more qualified people with more knowledge than I capable to do that! ;)

kirungi1
15th May 2014, 08:11
Thank you for 2226. I think it is such a motivation for us and a deserving compliment for BA and the FTOs.
Would you or anyone, from experience, comment on the range of career backgrounds for the successful FPP3 please? I stand to be corrected but FPP1 & FPP2 have been dominated by IT (ish) professionals.

naturals
15th May 2014, 08:13
I'm not an IT professional and made it in this year. I don't recall meeting anyone in IT related careers either this year (nor in last year's selection process) to be honest.

kirungi1
15th May 2014, 08:23
naturals, thanks for this rapid response. Do you know how internal applicants faired?

naturals
15th May 2014, 08:36
naturals, thanks for this rapid response. Do you know how internal applicants faired?

Again, I didn't meet any BA applicants at all in the process. I'm sure there were a couple but not in the 40-50 people I met and chatted to.

Being blunt, I wouldn't waste time trying to spot patterns in who did / didn't succeed in the process. We've all been there, we've all done the analysis in our heads, but we all know in the end it's a pointless task trying to work out which background has the best chance of getting in.

I met people with Aeronautical Engineering degrees who didn't make it through the first round. Similarly, in one of the most popular online blogs for an current FPP student, the guy was previously a church organist (IIRC). On that basis your odds are improved 100% if you quit your engineering degree and take up the organ. Now we all know that's nonsense - the guy didn't get in because of his career, he got in because of his aptitude.

The more time spent focussing on what background other people have, how old they are and the qualifications they hold, the less time you're spending looking at yourself and working out how to succeed in the interview (as I've said before, the round I personally feel offers the greatest scope to shine). There are probably 5-6 months until the process reopens. Use that time wisely :ok:

G-F0RC3
15th May 2014, 08:42
I suppose I would fall into the IT professional category, but I'm far too modest to ever refer to myself in those terms. :p The FPP isn't dominated by IT professionals as far as I can see. What I have witnessed during the whole process is a wide variety of people from different backgrounds. The only thing it seems dominated by is hard working people who have a real passion for flying for BA. No surprises there though! :)

Incidentally; I know of two internal applicants who made it. But the backgrounds of the candidates is merely a point of interest; it makes no tangible difference to the outcome in and of itself. For example, the only real advantage to having a degree in engineering is the skills you gained during the degree; not having the degree itself.

kirungi1
15th May 2014, 09:18
naturals & G-FORC3, that is quality and I feel privileged. Again congratulations and well done. I will action your comments and please do entertain my reservations regardless. You don't ask, you don't get.
May I have my hat back on please Sir?

speedbird_cadet
15th May 2014, 09:47
I can only echo what Naturals and G-FORC3 have said... A lot of people on this forum seem to be very keen on the statistics. You can look at them every which way till Tuesday but the only way they'll help YOUR Performance as an individual applicant is if you work them out without a calculator and under timed conditions :ok: (As practise for the mental maths!)

If you are genuinely passionate about a career as a BA Pilot this process has been designed to enable you to demonstrate that you have what it takes - irrespective of your background/circumstances, and more importantly irrespective of the circumstances of your fellow applicants. The process is about YOU. As naturals said..."use these next few months wisely"

kirungi1
15th May 2014, 10:00
speedbird_cadet, that is enlightening for which I agree and accept. I've kept an open mind and in this way have been receptive. That inquiry is cleared from my to-do list. In a round I have a fairly good and large picture of what matters and what is not (credit to you all).

kirungi1
16th May 2014, 09:27
KIAS my ASI, I've copied message and will action on it. Your command falls beautifully in between the lines of naturals, G FORC3 and speedbird_Cadet. It's very good stuff. Thanks alot :ok:

G-F0RC3
19th May 2014, 12:18
Start dates are now being emailed out, with paperwork to follow in the post. Anyone else starting FTE in Sept? :)

timbuck2
19th May 2014, 12:35
CTC in October! Anybody else joining me? :ok:

Ringway44
19th May 2014, 12:57
OAA in November! Anyone else?

tomjravo
19th May 2014, 14:37
FTE in October!

beng123
19th May 2014, 17:26
CTC in October!

Libertine Winno
19th May 2014, 18:43
I'm FTE in October...

Alleyesup
19th May 2014, 19:17
OAA October! Congrats everyone :-D

bram54
19th May 2014, 20:33
OAA in October!

partonhr
19th May 2014, 20:37
OAA October :)

Garfunkel
19th May 2014, 20:52
CTC in Jan... looks like everyone else here has got in on some of the first dates!

itisrocketscience
20th May 2014, 18:11
OAA in October. :ok:

PartonHR I think you were at final selection with me (if I've got your surname right?). We spoke at the end just before hometime? Alleyesup and Bram54; when were your selection days?

eazy123
20th May 2014, 19:10
CTC in december. Anyone else?

Alleyesup
20th May 2014, 21:33
KIAS, check your junk folder if you haven't already, mine was in there

The Seat of Your Pants
21st May 2014, 09:58
OAA in September anyone?

gb123
21st May 2014, 21:48
OAA in November!! :)

cygair
22nd May 2014, 08:20
Dear all,

Anyone know when start the selection for 2014 FPP ?

Thanks

G-F0RC3
22nd May 2014, 09:14
It's usually around November. :)

speedbird_cadet
22nd May 2014, 09:20
G-FORC3 - any chance you can PM me with Saturdays lottery numbers please mate:ok:.... could do with a few quid about now :)

Seriously though...Whilst there is no guarantee that they will run it again I'd suggest you keep an eye on BA Website, Facebook page, Twitter Feed, FPP website, this forum, national press etc. etc. Sign up to receive notifications. The previous 3 years its always been towards the back end of the year. The window of opportunity doesn't stay open long - don't miss it!!

G-F0RC3
22nd May 2014, 10:44
Hah... don't we already feel like we've won the lottery fairly recently? :p

speedbird_cadet
22nd May 2014, 10:45
:D Oh yes.... certainly do!!!

AdrienT06
22nd May 2014, 13:07
Hello, what is aproximately the success rate of the BA selection for MPL please ?

Alleyesup
22nd May 2014, 13:13
Based on number of applications and number of successful candidates, the success rate is around 1%-2%

TODA.1
22nd May 2014, 13:15
For all the successful applicants, was this your 1st attempt, second etc?

AdrienT06
22nd May 2014, 13:16
Ok, and is it easier in others compagnies ?

Libertine Winno
22nd May 2014, 13:46
Adrien,

The BA FPP will gain you an ATPL, it is not an MPL programme.

AdrienT06
22nd May 2014, 13:57
Ok, I didn't know that ! But to compare with easyjet or others compagnies programme, are there more chances to be shortlisted ?

chris_
22nd May 2014, 14:13
most probably less I would guess.

Alleyesup
22nd May 2014, 16:17
If there is anyone on this forum who is due to start OAA in October, but who doesn't wish to comment on the main thread, please inbox me with your name and email address and I will add you to our group on Facebook.

cygair
23rd May 2014, 07:27
Well, if I have correctly read the FPP presentation, we can apply even if we have work experiences and flying hours of general aviation ...

Is there any non-uk citizenship who were shortlisted those last years ?

Thanks.

naturals
23rd May 2014, 08:12
Well, if I have correctly read the FPP presentation, we can apply even if we have work experiences and flying hours of general aviation ...

Correct (though not too sure what you mean about "work experience" - I presume you don't mean flying work?). I have some time on powered, gliders and paragliders and got in. At the interview stage they certainly want you to demonstrate an interest and a passion for flying. I'd say never having flown would be a fairly large hinderance.

Is there any non-uk citizenship who were shortlisted those last years?

Yes, I met a couple of people in 2013 and 2014 who were EU citizens (though not sure if they got an offer they certainly attended some of the later selection stages). Both spoke English as a second language. Be aware though that a lot of native English speakers found the verbal reasoning test one of the tougher parts of selection.

cygair
23rd May 2014, 08:35
naturals :
Ok thanks for your reply.

When I say "work experience" it means not-pilot experience like 5 years in finance computing engineering in a bank ...

naturals
23rd May 2014, 08:44
5 years in finance computing engineering in a bank

If you go back a page or two there were questions about whether the majority of successful applicants came from an IT background (I don't necessarily think so, but a technical background certainly won't do your application any harm).

Also while a few young people got through (I seem to recall one 19 year old), and a few straight out of university, I certainly feel that for me personally the experience I've gained since graduating was vital in coming up with examples for the interview stage.

cygair
23rd May 2014, 09:23
Yes, I fully understand and I'm fully agree with you. But ! For example on the easyJet program they search fresh graduated peoples with no much hours of flight ...

For example, in my case, if I make an analysis on my maturity between now at 26 and before at 20 for example, I'm fully sure that I'm now more able to take the lot of responsibillity of an airline flight than before, it normal and happily ! But is it really an advantage for a cadet program selection ?

An other good example is about the GCSEs grades. Imagine at fifteen, school bored me and I obtained my C grades. In spit of my medium level, I was able to continue in an A-level equivalent college in France, in an university of science and computing engineering. Now I am graduated from an european engineering school in Financial computing engineering with an equivalance of a master engineering degree. Is the selection process will understand my academic parcours ? I'm not sure ... And I'm afraid that the computing selection system will stop my application analysis on GCSE levels ...

naturals
23rd May 2014, 09:31
To be honest, there's only one way you're going to find out, and that's going to be by applying. Nobody here knows for sure.

Others have said on here (and I tend to agree) that as long as you meet the minimum requirements you should be fine.

The Seat of Your Pants
25th May 2014, 10:53
BBC documentary on BA launching on Monday 2nd June, BBC 2 at 9pm BST. Entitled "A Very British Airline".

Could be interesting viewing for all followers of this thread.

Gingerbread Man
25th May 2014, 16:56
An updated version of this, perhaps? Airline 1990

TheCountess
27th May 2014, 08:19
Oh my word I certainly hope it's a more cheery update, that video is rather bleak!

On another note, congratulations to those who were successful on this occasion. I hope to meet you on the flight deck some day!

wiggy
27th May 2014, 11:09
that video is rather bleak!

FWIW those who were in BA in 1990 :oh: will tell you that their colleagues who were portrayed in "that video" were almost all, with good reason, well and truely ***** off at the way their contribution was edited to create a certain impression (one of the captains involved even felt the need to apologise to his colleagues in print).

Those who have been around during the filming of the current video may be able tell stories of selective small sections of the "staff only" portions of T5 being repainted and dressed to create a nice backdrop to some of the scenes.............

Watch it by all means but treat it and the impression it creates with a great deal of caution.......

EZY_FR
30th May 2014, 00:46
Does anybody know if the recent launch of the DEP will have an impact on the FPP?

Alleyesup
30th May 2014, 02:47
When the FPP very first launched, BA stated that they were looking to recruit 800 pilots, 400 through FPP, 400 through DEP, if I remember correctly. So I think it has always been the plan to run the FPP alongside DEP recruitment. If I am right, the numbers taken on over the past three FPP schemes have been getting lower (I think it was 96, 72, 50) so I imagine there is still a need for more FPP intake. This is just speculation on my part though.

EZY_FR
31st May 2014, 07:17
Does anyone know roughly how many people were assessed at the FTOs in last year's intake? I was reading through this thread and only found the numbers for FTE (240ish). Assuming that CTC and OAA had similar intakes, this actually goes to show how much of an achievement it is just to reach stage 3.

EB747
7th Jun 2014, 03:09
I was at OAA last December and there were just short of 30 of us on the day. However, there were a lot of assessment days. A couple of us worked out that there was probably in around 1000 assessed at Oxford alone. It was difficult to tell as when we were booking our assessment day, we were unable to see the days that were already full. However, the assessments ran through the end (I think?) of November to the beginning of January. So, if 25 people were assessed per day, Monday - Friday, for roughly 6 weeks, it's my best guess that there were around 1000 in total.

I'm not sure how accurate the FTE figure of 240 is but it seems ok Probably a bit small if anything. Bear in mind however that FTE was/is the smallest recruiter by a long shot - CTC the largest. Again, an educated guess - I'd say there were around 1500 at CTC.

Since there was around 3000 assessed between the three schools a lot of people began to raise eyebrows at just how legitimate their chances were. If you read back to around December on this thread you'll see various rants about the cost of the assessment and it's value. It's true, FTE, CTC and OAA must have made a substantial amount of money but it'd be unfair not to assess somebody with the minimum qualifications and a decent application.

Don't let the numbers deter you! They shrink very fast.

EZY_FR
7th Jun 2014, 10:18
I don't mean to be rude EB 747, but how do you know that there was approx. 3000 applicants being assessed across the FTOs?

The 240 figure came from a post in this forum after the applicant discussed it with one of the FTE employees when he/she was doing the assessments.

The 3000 figure does seem a bit startling, but I think that is more to do with CTC and OAA just inviting people forward with the required qualifications and probably half-decent essay questions (no offence to those who got invited, you all did well to get invited in the first place), while FTE looked at the essay responses more vigorously I guess.

Alleyesup
7th Jun 2014, 12:10
Ok, just to avoid any arguing or what have you, it sounds like there is some mix up about numbers of people and stages of assessment. The 3000 is a rough estimate of how many people applied in total for the latest FPP, that is not to say that all of them got invited to assessment at the FTO. EB747, it does sound like your estimates of numbers are a bit off. 240 sound sounds likes a very reasonable figure for the number of people invited to FTE for assessment,I believe the OAA number was in the mid hundreds, and I can't speak for CTC. EZY FR, it sounds like you are suggesting that OAA and CTC were a bit cavalier about who they invited forward to assessment. As far as I know, every application is scored against a set standard (the same for all FTOs). If the applicant meets this standard, then they were invited to the next stage, it was an entirely objective process no matter which school you applied to.

Don't worry about the numbers so much. It goes without saying that this is a very tough selection process and you will be up against several thousand other hopefuls. Spend your energy concentrating on what you can do to make yourself stand out.

EZY_FR
7th Jun 2014, 12:45
Great post Alleyesup, makes perfect sense! :ok:

Alleyesup
7th Jun 2014, 13:10
Shawrey, both EZY FR and I were talking specifically about the application stage, and the process involved to be invited to FTO assessment, you are referencing later stages of assessment, at which point there were judgement calls involved.

G-F0RC3
7th Jun 2014, 13:21
I suppose it's interesting to speculate about the numbers of applicants, and we've all done it to some extent. However, estimates and speculation are just that. For reasons unbeknown to me the number of applicants has never been publicly disclosed. I can't speak for OAA or CTC, but based on how many FTE assessment days there were and the number of candidates in each, I would stand by my earlier estimation on how many they invited and suggest that 240 is a little on the light side. So perhaps it's a safer estimation to state that FTE invited no fewer than 240 and no more than 400 to the first round of assessments.

Whether or not that's because fewer candidates applied to FTE or that FTE are more stringent with the way they assess applications (or a bit of both), who knows? Realistically there must be a procedure in place to make sure the process is wholly objective in terms of the final outcome, even if it's difficult or impossible to ensure universal objectivity across schools. It has been suggested that one of the main reasons for a final stage at Waterside is to ensure a level playing field so that all candidates can be assessed equally on the same tests and measures. This almost implies that there is a known possibility of an unquantifiable disparity between FTO assessments. Nonetheless, it's not by default an admission of a disparity, it's only a suggestion that it might exist (if indeed that really is one of the main reasons for the Waterside assessments). And nor does it mean that one is easier than the others, because people perform well at different things. What's easy to me is hard to someone else, and vice-versa.

However, thanks to the Waterside assessments it can be guaranteed that it makes no real difference to your overall chances irrespective of which FTO you initially apply to. Even if it is marginally more likely to make it through to the final stage with one FTO over another, you're then still up against the best from the other FTOs anyway and would have to outperform most of them to make it. If you're good enough to do that without a whole lot more training, then you're almost certainly not marginal in terms of getting to Waterside in the first place. And - after all - it's getting onto the BAFPP people want; not making it to the final hurdle only to fall.

Incidentally, I agree with Alleyesup. It's much better to focus on making your own performance the best it can be than worrying too much about how many other people there are. :)

EZY_FR
12th Jun 2014, 13:37
I was just speaking to a training advisor at FTE about the BA FPP. One of the questions I asked was how many people were invited to stage 2 of the process Apparently 190 people were invited to attend stage 2, so it really is an achievement in itself for those who did manage to get invited. Another interesting comment he made was that failing the application form does NOT count as one of your three attempts, which I find a bit peculiar.

EZY_FR
27th Jun 2014, 23:44
Just found out some very interesting information about the FPP selection process at FTE:

"I have already taken an Airline Pilot Assessment at FTEJerez, can I reapply?
If you have taken an assessment at FTEJerez, then this assessment is valid for 6 months. This means that if your assessment is still valid it will be used as part of the BA selection and need not be retaken. However if your assessment has expired, you will need to retake it. "

Surely this depend on how well you scored, considering the standard of FPP is higher than that of the FTOs?

G-F0RC3
28th Jun 2014, 07:03
You'd still have to attend to do the BA test and interview at FTE's assessment centre, you just wouldn't need to do the FTO tests too. One guy was in that boat on my first assessment day and was waiting around for a while between things.

I think FTE's view is that your test scores from six months ago are similar to how you'd score now, and either good enough or not. As it's the benchmark that's changing and not your scores; there's no real need to take them again.

EZY_FR
28th Jun 2014, 15:00
I just hope that those who failed the FTE tests were able to retake them at the FPP FTE assessment day.

Steveooo516
28th Aug 2014, 17:10
Sounds like it'd be a huge weight off your shoulders though? If you knew you had already met the standard in some tests then you could just focus your efforts on those tests you'd have to take as part of the FPP specific assessment?

Going through the FTE website there seems to be very little information regarding this mysterious "stage II" that occurs before the actual assessment day...
"Once your application has been assessed and accepted, you will progress to Phase II of the selection process. Phase II consists of a series of questions that you will be required to answer within a given time. If successful you will progress to Phase III which is an assessment day"

Does anybody have any clue what this even is? I hope there'll be some activity on this thread soon, as it's getting close to that time again! :ok:

G-F0RC3
28th Aug 2014, 19:07
The phase II you refer to didn't exist last time with FTE. Those who were successful with the initial application were invited to an assessment day.

speedbird_cadet
28th Aug 2014, 22:34
It sounds very much like they have grouped the Multiple Choice Branching questions and essay papers into a times exercise this year. Previously it was part of the initial application and so you had a lot more time to complete it.

Steveooo516
29th Aug 2014, 10:34
I must admit it seems very odd, just like an extra hurdle compared to the other FTOs... Cheers for the info, I applied OAA last year and think I'll be making a shift to FTE this time around so it will all be new to me!

speedbird_cadet
29th Aug 2014, 11:35
You may find that all FTO's are doing it this way...just that FTE are the first to announce it.
The initial web based application is the same for all applicants irrespective of FTO as far as I can recall.
Maybe BA have decided to split the initial process so that people have to answer the multiple choice and essay questions under 'timed conditions' this year. Though again, that would seem to be at odds with the advice in previous years to "Take your time over the answers to the essay questions"

There was an extra step introduced into last years process so it'll be interesting to see how/if it differs this year...

G-F0RC3
29th Aug 2014, 11:59
...just that FTE are the first to announce it.

Out of interest, where was this announced? The FTE website doesn't appear to be any different to last year as far as the BA FPP is concerned (at least as far as I can remember), and what it does say about the selection process is not what actually happened. The initial application included written responses and a set of multi-choice questions, none of which were timed. After that FTE invited candidates to one assessment day (and only one assessment day) where the tests, group exercises and interviews were carried out. Those who were successful were then invited to Waterside.

I would be very surprised if the essay questions had to be answered under timed conditions on the next intake, for a variety of reasons:

i) As you point out, BA encourage applicants to take their time writing their answers.
ii) The application system was painfully slow last time around for about the first week, and unless it becomes much more reliable it wouldn't seem feasible to have it timing people while they were writing.
iii) It would be difficult to stop people from establishing what the questions were before applying, and then simply typing in (or pasting) pre-prepared answers when they commence the timed application.

Can't see it... :E

speedbird_cadet
29th Aug 2014, 12:06
Completely agree with all your reasons about why they wouldn't time the essay questions/multiple choice.
Although, technically, if they were screening the application first then they could provide some sort of unique identifier so that you had to log in before you could see/answer the questions. Gets a bit messy though.

I had a look on the following page ;

British Airways Future Pilot Programme | FTEJerez (http://www.ftejerez.com/british-airways-future-pilot-programme)

and I think this is the section that seems to say what the OP is referring to ;

Once your application has been assessed and accepted, you will progress to Phase II of the selection process. Phase II consists of a series of questions that you will be required to answer within a given time. If successful you will progress to Phase III which is an assessment day at a venue (soon to be confirmed) in London, UK, which includes the following tests:

EZY_FR
29th Aug 2014, 12:16
speedbird_cadet

Where did you find out BA were planning to change the format of the initial application? It seems to go against their original intention of allowing applicants to take their time with their answers.

G-F0RC3
29th Aug 2014, 12:18
Oh I see. That's not a new announcement; the website said that last year too but it didn't happen like that in reality. I think FTE need to update their website. :p

speedbird_cadet
29th Aug 2014, 12:21
EZY FR - I didn't find that out. I don't know that BA have changed the process.
I personally can't see why they would. I was just trying to come up with a possible explanation as to why the FTE website says what it does.

EZY_FR
29th Aug 2014, 12:27
Ahh I see, sorry about that. Apologies for the confusion.

speedbird_cadet
29th Aug 2014, 13:27
No worries...

Probably my fault for Hypothesizing....

Please ignore all after "Hello" :8

EZY_FR
29th Aug 2014, 13:40
Anyone on this thread going to the Flyer event in November? Would be great to meet some fellow FPP hopefuls.

Nelson15
1st Sep 2014, 17:46
There were a number of FPP cadets at the last one too!

G-VCED
1st Sep 2014, 21:27
EZY_FR

Can you share the details/link of the Flyer event in November please?

Thanks

Nelson15
1st Sep 2014, 21:57
Seager Exhibitions (http://www.pilottrainingexhibitions.com/london/)

Stage5
15th Sep 2014, 08:44
Once your application has been assessed and accepted, you will progress to Phase II of the selection process. Phase II consists of a series of questions that you will be required to answer within a given time. If successful you will progress to Phase III which is an assessment day at a venue (soon to be confirmed) in London, UK, which includes the following tests:

By this they do not mean an hour or two. They normally give you a few days to respond. So do take your time, but get it done.

EZY_FR
15th Sep 2014, 09:10
owenc

If the past two years are anything to go by, I can only imagine it will open up in November.

polar25
16th Sep 2014, 10:54
Hello All!

Just a quick question for those of you who have been successful in the past in getting onto the FPP: have any of you taken up the BA guaranteed loan option? I am going to apply this year and was interested in the financing options available.

My credit rating is far from rosy and I am unsure as to what criteria BA's nominated bank would be looking at (whether they want a 'good' credit rating or purely no CCJs etc.)?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks

MaydayMaydayMayday
16th Sep 2014, 11:49
polar25,

The way it worked for us, you had to provide a copy of your full Experian credit report to BBVA. Incidentally, it had to be from Experian, rather than any other credit report agency.

When I got mine, it initially had a lot of stuff missing, giving me a 'Fair' rating, which I got the impression would not have been acceptable to BBVA (they stated that really it should be in the green ranges, 'Good' or 'Excellent'). After speaking to Experian, all my details were properly updated and it thankfully increased to a far higher score.

I'm not sure what anyone else's experience was, but they seemed to expect a good to excellent rating at the time we were applying. I'd expect that that position is unlikely to have changed, but who knows. You do at least get to speak with an individual at BBVA about it, not just having it fired through a computer, so maybe there's room for discussing extenuating circumstances? Who knows.

speedbird_cadet
16th Sep 2014, 12:30
You also have a long period of time to work on your credit rating between now and when you will have to submit an application to BBVA. There is a massive amount to get through between now and then as well. I would suggest you sign up to Experian and get your credit score/rating. You will learn a lot just from this. Then use the tools that Experian membership gives you to improve your rating over the next 9 months or so.
At the moment you dont know what you dont know... So if Credit Rating is worrying you find out what it is... you might be surprised.

polar25
1st Oct 2014, 14:53
Many thanks MaydayMaydayMayday and speedbird_cadet for your replies. I have emailed BBVA but as yet have got no reply; this is my only means of being able to finance the scheme (should I be successful) and would just like some clarification so that I don't end up taking the place of someone in a better financial position.

speedbird_cadet
2nd Oct 2014, 13:36
All the FPP courses are starting around now, so BBVA are incredibly busy - they probably just haven't had time to look into your query.

sammyduke
11th Oct 2014, 18:31
When does the application window for the Future Pilot Programme start this year? The BA website states:

"We can now advise that in line with British Airways’ future requirements for new cadet entry, we expect the next round of FPP to launch sometime in 2015. We will bring you news of any further announcements as soon as they become available."

Does it mean that there will be no application window in November 2014?

newb1112
12th Oct 2014, 11:41
Application will open early next year as at the moment BA HR are focusing on the DEP as they are quite short. Most people wait years for an opportunity like this, I'm sure everyone else who is serious can wait a few more months.

EZY_FR
13th Oct 2014, 11:26
Great, that probably means there will probably only be two more opportunities to get into FPP :(

JDA2012
13th Oct 2014, 13:29
I find this interesting and indeed quite relevant to my particular situation (and perhaps those of others), because:

- Candidates are only allowed to apply three times anyway, so (having applied last year), two further opportunities would be all that I (and any previous applicant) would be allowed anyway.

- I chose to resit the team exercise and interview with OAA in June, after which I could not then take further resits or re-apply to OAA for 12 months. Happily this does not appear to apply to applications for the FPP.

- I am currently rather busy (studying for an OU degree), so I actually welcome the opportunity to defer until after the Christmas break, during which I (and others who may be busy with "life") can get the preparatory work for the application sorted in advance of applications actually opening. Think about why you want to fly, why with BA and what you can bring, as well as getting all of the fundamentals (employment history, qualifications etc.) in order.

- More time is always good! So far this year, in a bid to gain a greater understanding of BA as a a company and prospective employer, I've arranged a tour of the Heritage Collection and Waterside building, spent time observing BA operations and general movements at Gatwick and Heathrow, booked a flight on a BA 787 and visited five of the British Concordes (AA, AB, AC, ST, DN), as well as reading a great deal on BA, oneworld and their aircraft. Before attending selection for the next FPP I was hoping actually to take my 787 flight, and to visit London City and at least a further four Concordes (AD, AE, DG, FA - well aware I've passed the point of decreasing returns, but this has now become a genuine interest and a personal challenge to see them all), as well as having a go on BA's 737 simulator and the Concorde sim at Brooklands - I am grateful to have more time to organise these visits.

P.S. I'm well aware that there are other considerations, on which I am also working, but I will not be getting knocked back on a lack of BA-centric enthusiasm and/or knowledge again, that's for sure.

P.P.S. I have read back the above and am aware it may be taken as a little self-indulgent. Still, I hope it may help or give ideas to other potential candidates. Alternatively, it may be waffle, in which case I am sure I will be corrected if off down the wrong track and I am grateful for the feedback.

Looking for the silver lining :ok:

ManUtd1999
14th Oct 2014, 13:20
Great, that probably means there will probably only be two more opportunities to get into FPP
What makes you say that? I know it was stated way back in 2011 that it'd run for 5 years, but if you assume BA is going to continue to need pilots (retirements are on the horizon + growth), then there's no reason to stop. Cadets are cheap :ok: Maybe it'll be scaled back, with fewer lucky people selected or run less frequently, but I don't see why it'd would stop completely.

The delay to next year is quite good IMO. With the current uncertainty around BA SH and the business review, at least we might know what position/terms we're applying to by next year...

Speedy Birdy
22nd Oct 2014, 07:40
Hello,

I have an FAA Commercial Pilot License and was wondering if I could still apply. It doesn't say so on BA's website, it just says you can't have taken the ATP exams. I know a JAA CPL is disqualifying, but I don't know about an FAA CPL.

My other concern is that I now have a little over 300 hours of flight time and will probably have around 500 by the time I apply in 2015 (I have a job flying small aeroplanes here in the US). I know this is a cadet programme and am aware that I'm not the ideal candidate (I've been through the entire selection process already) but would still like to know if anybody has heard of someone getting accepted with the same kind of flight experience.

Thank you very much.

juniour jetset
17th Jan 2015, 14:48
Speedybird have you a UK or EU passport? otherwise this could be a big problem working in Uk and Europe

average-punter
18th Jan 2015, 10:34
If you mean previous flying experience then you can't hold anything above a PPL but there are people with over a hundred hours and others with only a few to their name. As with most airline cadet schemes your number of flying hours is largely irrelevant. Your interpersonal skills are far more important.

ManUtd1999
22nd Jan 2015, 21:14
Happened to be reading through the BA LinkedIn page earlier and it claims FPP will open 23rd Feb :8 Let the madness begin....