PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Future Pilot Programme.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15

Owu96
22nd Jan 2015, 22:49
Just a quick question, had anybody on here been through the general 'Wings' programme? And has been fortunate enough to land a spot with BA without going through the FPP?

MaydayMaydayMayday
22nd Jan 2015, 23:28
Owu96, I think there were a handful who came in from CTC who'd been through the 'wings' course (6, perhaps?) last year, although after having then gone through the BA assessments. It's not something I would bank on, though, and may have been a bit of a one-off anomaly when there was a sudden need for a handful of extra cadets.

Particularly considering the number of cadets and DEPs coming in over the next couple of years, the two clear routes in are through the FPP or as a DEP after a good few hundred hours at another carrier. Whichever route, you still need to pass the same assessments. You'd also benefit from (potentially) a guaranteed loan if you required it, from the point of being accepted.

In short, while not impossible, it's improbable that the 'wings' course would lead to a quick entry into BA. Far more likely to end up elsewhere initially.

Good luck if you're applying. :)

average-punter
23rd Jan 2015, 00:56
As Mayday says there were 5 lucky wings trainees who were employed by BA. I hate the way CTC use the word 'placed'. They weren't placed at all, BA asked for applicants from CTC, they applied and each got the job on their own merits.

This whole top-up to the FPP thing is used as a marketing tool by CTC to lure potential people into the wings programme who may be umming and arring about waiting for a tagged program. What I imagine has happened is due to the increase in number of tagged programmes, applicant numbers for their wings course is down so they pedal this :mad: to get the punters in.

It's safe to assume that they only way into BA is through the FPP or as a DEP/ex-forces, anything else and you've got lucky.

EZY_FR
23rd Jan 2015, 14:15
Not sure if any of you are aware of this, but BA has stated that FPP will open up for applications on 23rd February.

UCDflyer
23rd Jan 2015, 14:25
Does anyone know how long the process takes ie. when does the application close, how long does the assessment stage last and when will the full time training begin for the lucky candidates who get through?

Thanks

EZY_FR
23rd Jan 2015, 14:42
The whole process lasts for approximately 5-6 months. Nobody can tell you when you would be able to start the course, it depends on BA's requirements at the time.

searching904
29th Jan 2015, 14:26
Hi all,

I don't really know how to ask for advice without this being a fairly long post, so I apologize in advance if it gets lengthy. I also apologize if this is the wrong place to ask about such things.

Basically, I've changed career direction after gaining 'life experience' and finding out the career I was pursuing earlier, wasn't for me. I've always wanted to fly. However after taking this break and deciding what my options were along with research etc etc etc (PM me if you need more info, I'm trying to keep this relatively to-the-point) The BA FPP looks like possibly the best route into commercial aviation available.

From what I understand, you can apply three times and most candidates that were accepted, weren't accepted on their first 'go'. As in the posts above, the applications will open 23rd Feb. Here's my problem:

For me, it's bad timing. Just through luck, I've essentially got about a month to put together an application. I really am determined to put together a stellar application, but I feel I wouldn't be able to make the best application with only a month of prep. So basically, I'd love to apply to this amaing opportunity, but I don't want to 'waste' one of my three tries on what may be not the best-prepared application.

Should I apply, and use the experience to help my further applications if it opens again (not guaranteed at all, I know) or wait and submit my best work to the next one possibly 1-2 years down the line, if at all?

Thanks in advance, I've tried to keep it brief (and failed) if anyone has any pointers for me or would like to know more, PM me please. It probably comes across as something I've not considered totally or jumped on at a whim, but it isn't at all, I've just left lots of stuff out so to avoid an absolute wall of text :)

juniour jetset
29th Jan 2015, 15:16
yeah one month - probably not long enough to get past the BA astronaught selection phase 1 !!

work 24/7 man for next 30 days and you may well do it!

at the end of the day, it's a bit of a lottery anyway - just go for it - don't over think it

you never know a 9/11 event could happen at anytime and this will be the last FPP

cease the day now - carpe diem and all that

I fell into the over thinking trap for this back in 2012 with BA and didn't get anywhere. Then more recently just went for it with the recent Virgin Programme without worrying about the outcome and got through to the next stage.

funkyt111
29th Jan 2015, 16:12
Juniour jetset,

I don't really think this is the best advice. It certainly isn't a lottery as you suggest and the guys and girls that have been successful have all thoroughly deserved it.

Searching904,

With regards to your application, one month is more than long enough to prepare your application. The application window is only open for two weeks so you will have as much time as everyone else to prepare. Just make sure you spend a lot of time on the application and have it proof read by someone else before submitting it.

searching904
29th Jan 2015, 17:54
Thanks for the advice both of you guys.

I've always wanted to fly and when I was in my last 'career path' so to speak one of the first things I wanted to do was save up and do my PPL. However it's only in the 2 weeks I've decided that I want to go for commercial aviation as my job 100%, after months and months of research into this and other aviation jobs.

Basically had the FPP not came up just now Id've visited heathrow, waterside, flyer exhibition in april, taken a BA flight amongst lots of other things and tried to gather a few more flying hours, then felt properly ready to bash out a good 'go' at the FPP.

Guess I just don't want to be that guy who's changed career choices recently and doesn't have adequate 'stuff' on my application to back up that I'm serious and have considered things well. I know I'm genuine, and not just going "aw here flying those jets looks half decent lets do that" but it's them I need to convince haha! just my luck its next month, I guess I'll just try to fit tons of stuff in and have the best go at it I can :)

Blantoon
29th Jan 2015, 18:13
Calling the BA selection a lottery is being generous. Find any group of professional pilots and they will all have stories of how completely baffled they were when persons A, B and C didn't get into BA while X, Y and Z did.

BaronVonBarnstormer
29th Jan 2015, 18:25
I think with all these hyper competitive airline schemes it is a case of being the right person, in the right place at the right time. Reading the DEP thread there is apparently a need for 250 pilots to be recruited to the A320 SH fleet. Hopefully that means there will be a large intake from the FPP. :ok:

wiggy
29th Jan 2015, 18:31
........if it opens again (not guaranteed at all, I know)

If you are looking for one single but utterly compelling reason for applying this month, that's it, right there.

As has been mentioned it only needs the likes of a 9/11 :bored:, a sudden massive spike in oil prices, for whatever reason, or something unforseen coming out of left field that leads to a downturn and the company's plans will change.

UCDflyer
2nd Feb 2015, 11:11
Hi all,
Does anyone know if any EU resident can use this facility BA offer:

If you’re not in a position to secure an asset-based loan then you could be eligible for our British Airways guaranteed loan scheme. If this is the case, our partner bank will run a thorough check of your credit history. Should this come back clear and you pass the Future Pilot Programme selection process, British Airways could act as your loan guarantor. You will then be able to borrow the money from our partner bank in order to deposit the required security bond with APL.

I am an Irish resident, does this apply to UK residents only? Or if I get to the end will I be able to use this facility if I pass the credit check requirements?

Thanks

CRNUI
3rd Feb 2015, 15:26
Hi all,

Im a 22 year old with 2 months left in a Mech Engineering degree. I have always wanted to be a pilot for as long as i can remember but decided to go to university before applying to flight schools to be 100% sure as the financial commitment is quite substantial. I am applying to the BAFPP this round and have a few questions:

- Is the BA loan scheme open to Irish citizens or is it only for UK citizens? I have exhausted all my other financial options.

- Of the three schools running the BAFPP, which is most recommended? (Based on cost of living, quality of training, atmosphere)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UCDflyer
3rd Feb 2015, 18:51
My situation exactly, except I am E&E engineering. :)

Hamburger_
3rd Feb 2015, 20:33
Dear All,

I decided to apply to the FPP this year, and found earlier this forum where I read through the comments with pleasure, especially in this thread. Was interesting and very exciting to follow thorugh the progress of the last application process :) Hope those who were selected are progressing well and having fun during. Maybe it would be good to read some update from them :)

Unfortunately I couldn't find relevant information to following:
- was there an option during the initial online applicaton to attach and upload different documents, like PDF-s? For example references from workplaces, ICAO English exam, any kind of flying logbooks, etc. And if yes, does BA/the FTO need that during the initial applicaton? Does that make any difference, advantage for the applicant?

Any answers are appreciated!

Thanks!

average-punter
3rd Feb 2015, 20:51
The BA guaranteed loan is available to anyone successful applicant to the FPP.

It's good to learn about the small difference between FTOs, but the problem is you won't find someone who has trained at all 3 establishments on their intergrated course so it's impossible to find a balanced opinion. It is well worth thinking about the extra costs and planning how to budget during your training. These are freely available on each FTO's website.

Stocious
3rd Feb 2015, 20:51
The choice of school is purely personal preference. Do your research into each regarding costs, location, whats included and what isn't and make your choice from there.

BBVA provide the finance product, with BA as a guarantor, so provided you are suitable for a loan from them, then BA should back it. There are non-UK residents on the FPP, though I'm not sure of what their financial arrangements are.

It may be worth a call to recruitment once the window opens.

Hamburger_
3rd Feb 2015, 21:08
I was putting together pros and cons for myself for each FTO in order to ground a decision, and between many other factors some are as follows:
- FTE is making the whole training in Spain, can be an advantage for those having family, etc. not to being away from them (in USA or in NZ) for a year or so
- as flying training is in Spain that means you learn to fly in European airspace, where you will be flying mainly
- New Zealand must be a great adventure
- FTE is the most expensive in regards to "other costs", although it is stated that meal is included in the price 3 times a day in the campus, which is a large cost factor. There it seems to be really "all-inclusive" for the £9000
- With OAA it is £7000, but not including food, and I'm not sure about accomodation costs
And there are many other factors. So it's not easy to choose and worth to read after the details as average-punter wrote.
At the moment I'm more thinking of FTE to select.

Aviator_In_Progress
5th Feb 2015, 17:28
Despite being interested in aviation from a young age I always thought that not having 20:20 vision precluded me (-2.0 in the left and -2.25 in the right) from airline work. It seems not and after having just found out about this scheme recently, I am looking to apply this year (I am a software engineer at the moment and have been for the past nine years). This thread has been an interesting read over the past couple of weeks that's for certain.

One question I do have is based on the references provided by my current employer - i.e. its company policy not to provide detailed references. HR will provide a letter stating that I worked there and the from and to dates but nothing else, is that likely to be an issue should I get through to the reference checking point?

Thanks.

MaydayMaydayMayday
5th Feb 2015, 22:09
One question I do have is based on the references provided by my current employer - i.e. its company policy not to provide detailed references. HR will provide a letter stating that I worked there and the from and to dates but nothing else, is that likely to be an issue should I get through to the reference checking point?

Thanks.

That shouldn't be a problem, assuming the system remains as it currently is. The employer references are really just to show where you've been for the last five years.

Everyone needs to account for the full five year period directly prior to applying for an airside pass, both prior to starting training, and then again just prior to commencing employment (yes, the whole thing gets done twice!). This includes employment, unemployment (eg. periods claiming jobseekers allowance) and education. Personal referees can be used to cover any gaps that may appear where there's no official way to prove what you were doing.

They also need criminal record checks for any countries of residence during that period, as well as during training (ie. if you go to FTE then after you've finished training you'll need a Spanish CRC as well as one from your home country).

Credit reference checks are also done if you're applying for a loan, but that's a different matter.

Hope that's useful!

byrondaf
5th Feb 2015, 23:12
As stated by someone else on here, there were a few cadets that applied and got taken on by BA due to a shortfall from the FPP last year. To clarify BA's current position on recruitment for CTC "whitetail" or Wings cadets, this is copied directly from an email sent to me from their assistant pilot recruitment manager, who visited us at CTC NZ a few weeks ago.

"In terms of numbers for Whitetails we will not know how many if any will be required in 2015 / 2016. However, I would recommend that if a career with British Airways is your ultimate desire please do ask CTC at the appropriate juncture whether there would be a possibility. As mentioned during the talk we have an ongoing requirement for over 300 new pilot entrants into the business over 2015 and envisage a continued recruitment need thereafter."

I asked him directly during his talk if they would be recruiting any low hour cadets outside the FPP in the next 18 months and the short answer was no. Looks like the Orange carrier will be the destination for most.

Aviator_In_Progress
6th Feb 2015, 13:57
That shouldn't be a problem, assuming the system remains as it currently is. The employer references are really just to show where you've been for the last five years.

Everyone needs to account for the full five year period directly prior to applying for an airside pass, both prior to starting training, and then again just prior to commencing employment (yes, the whole thing gets done twice!). This includes employment, unemployment (eg. periods claiming jobseekers allowance) and education. Personal referees can be used to cover any gaps that may appear where there's no official way to prove what you were doing.

They also need criminal record checks for any countries of residence during that period, as well as during training (ie. if you go to FTE then after you've finished training you'll need a Spanish CRC as well as one from your home country).

Credit reference checks are also done if you're applying for a loan, but that's a different matter.

Hope that's useful!

Yes thank you :ok:

UCDflyer
14th Feb 2015, 09:32
Does anyone from previous years know whether or not written references are required for the application? If so I would like to start contacting my referees now to avoid delay later on.

Thanks.

4KBeta
16th Feb 2015, 11:46
I imagine references will be required upon successful recruitment / offer.

It will also usually be the case of the company in question contacting your referees and not the other way round.

EZY_FR
16th Feb 2015, 12:56
Details on how to apply for the FPP are now available via this link: http://www.britishairways.com/careers/futurepilot/fppProgramme.shtml . A CV and a covering letter is now required for the application, and it appears as though the final selection day has now been split up into 2 separate days.

funkyt111
16th Feb 2015, 13:35
I think the cover letter is referring to the application essay questions and I assume the final stage has been split into 2 stages due to lots of applicants failing the numerical reasoning (or other aspects). Seems like a logical approach to me and will definitely save a lot of time from HR's point of view.

BaronVonBarnstormer
16th Feb 2015, 16:55
Anybody learned anything about how the 100 selected will be split between the FTOs?

EZY_FR
16th Feb 2015, 20:19
How do you know they're looking for 100 this time around?

BaronVonBarnstormer
16th Feb 2015, 20:33
How do you know they're looking for 100 this time around?

From CTC site:

"This year a further 100 new pilots will be selected and trained for British Airways through the Future Pilot Programme." (http://www.ctcwings.com/bafuturepilot)

EZY_FR
16th Feb 2015, 22:02
Its great news that they've upped the intake this time around. Regarding your original question, they don't split the allocation up between the FTOs, its the best 100 that get picked, regardless of their chosen FTO.

whatup
17th Feb 2015, 10:27
Hey!
I am new to this thread.
I need to know a bit more about the the British Airways FPP.
Are foreign nationals also allowed to apply for this programme? and what kind of contract is signed between the British Airways and the candidate for this particular programme?

Thanks in Advance!

EZY_FR
17th Feb 2015, 11:04
As long as you have the unrestricted right to live and work in the UK, you can apply for the FPP. It's a conditional contract of employment based on you completing the flight training to the standards set out by BA.

Lockheed_Blackbird
17th Feb 2015, 19:28
Is anyone aware of non british people recruited in former FPP courses?
I'm french and would like to know if I really have my chances there... Thanks a lot

ecco123
17th Feb 2015, 20:39
I know that FTE Jerez has only one non-UK cadet from last year's BA FPP.

I don't know the total number though.

I've been told from a reputable source, that is really difficult and you have to be really brilliant to be selected to take the training. I don't know if he was talking about my particular case, being non british, or just generally.

Do you guys think it would be a good move to buy some pilot aptitude software to test yourself and see if you are really brilliant before paying the £ 250 selection fee + travel and accommodation?

EZY_FR
18th Feb 2015, 00:51
Well, it goes without saying that you need to be brilliant to get a place on the programme. However, if you know what it takes to be a pilot, and you put in a lot of effort to prepare in the right way, you can't go wrong. I know some guys on the course at Jerez and what they felt made them successful at selection was the preparation they put into it. They knew what was expected of a BA pilot, and they prepared accordingly. You can prepare for just about every aspect of selection, apart from the final BA aptitude test.

I would definitely recommend getting yourself some practice aptitude testing software, however I would wait until you know that you've been invited to attend stage 2. Getting to stage 2 is not easy in itself, and prep software is not cheap, so you should just focus on the application form, CV and cover letter for the time being.

wiggy
18th Feb 2015, 09:53
I've been told from a reputable source, that is really difficult and you have to be really brilliant to be selected to take the training.

I think "brilliant" is perhaps overstating it a bit, BA aren't looking for future Nobel prize winners, they are looking for someone who is a good "fit" - round pegs for round holes, etc.... That said you need to know how to play the selection game and yes, you certainly need to have done your preparation and part of that knowing what BA are looking for.

As far as foreign nationals are concerned there are plenty of non- British EU nationals inside BA and also going through FPP. As was already pointed out you need to have the unrestricted right to live and work in the UK to apply for the FPP and it's a standard part of the BA contract. It's a right most nationals of the original EU member states possess.

Lockheed_Blackbird
18th Feb 2015, 10:49
Well I thank you very much for your answers.
Ecco123 are you a BA cadet and are you spanish?

And wiggy the non british cadets you know are from which country please?

Then as you're saying it seems it's like every selection, you have to prepare for what BA is expecting from you. No real surprise

thanks again guys

tobitronics
18th Feb 2015, 20:14
Hi all,

As an 18-year old student I would like to apply to the BA FPP programme, for which the intake of applications (as you all probably know) opens on February 23rd. Going through my research I have a general idea of the application procedure, however I would like to double-check it with you guys:

- The application is based on a set of questions which you need to answer in an Essay-like style, is this correct? Or does the application also require things like a motivational letter that can be made in advance?

- The application windows opens on Feb 23rd, however I am leaving for a 3 day holiday then... Do I have any profit in submitting my application in the first (few) day(s)? Or is BA/CTC/OAA also fine with later submitted applications (f.e. next week friday)?

Thanks in advance! :)

wiggy
19th Feb 2015, 08:31
And wiggy the non british cadets you know are from which country please?

Can't give you a list, but FWIW the FPP came up in discussion at work the other day with one of our Senior First Officers who is a "mentor" to some of those on the scheme, to paraphrase his comments <<mostly Brits, and a fair few Europeans>>.

gwoods
19th Feb 2015, 10:30
Hi guys

sort of starting a new topic in here but does anyone know if BA will take on any fully qualified pilots for the FPP. I finished my MCC/JOC 6 months ago now and I'm desperately trying to find my first job. But all I see is job posts for Direct entry pilots with 5 million hours or cadets with zilch!!! Any thoughts or help would be great :ok:

goosemaverick
19th Feb 2015, 10:31
Hi - reference whether you should apply when it opens, or wait - do it as soon as you can; if they get a large volume of applications they will close it early so the sooner you can complete, the better.

EZY_FR
19th Feb 2015, 12:11
In order to apply for the FPP, you must not have sat any ATPL exams, so if you've completed your JOC, that would rule you out I'm afraid. :(

Airsick1
19th Feb 2015, 12:50
Fantastic news to hear that BAFPP is taking off again ...sorry for the pun... my son is now old enough to apply and will be applying through FTE. any tips from previous applicants to BAFPP would be welcome for a first time applicant - wondered if anyone has used the application support being offered by a website called my flying career? would be grateful for any comments or experience - site looks great and they seem to have the right expertise. but is it worth it?

ecco123
19th Feb 2015, 13:13
Lockheed Blackbird, I'm not BA Cadet, I will send my application next week.

All cadets currently training at FTE Jerez under BA's FPP are british except a french one.

G-F0RC3
19th Feb 2015, 17:52
Good luck to all who are applying! :)

MaydayMaydayMayday
19th Feb 2015, 17:52
Lockheed Blackbird, I'm not BA Cadet, I will send my application next week.

All cadets currently training at FTE Jerez under BA's FPP are british except a french one.

There are at least two Irish FPP cadets at FTE. Pretty sure that counts as not British! (not to mention some dual-nationals, too)

Lockheed_Blackbird
20th Feb 2015, 18:20
Thanks to you all for the answers! (wiggy, ecco, mayday..)

ecco123: you seem pretty well informed :)
If you know personally the french cadet could you PM me the contact please? it'd be very nice to talk with him !

I have another question:

"Able to obtain and maintain an EASA Class 1 Medical Certificate (for information please visit Welcome to the UK Civil Aviation Authority. (http://www.caa.co.uk)) and pass the British Airways Health Services medical examination"
I already have a valid EASA Class 1, but do one of you know what is the BAHS medical exam? I'd like to know more about that and find out whether they have higher standards than the EASA ones. I've asked BA and CTC but none of them is answering me...

Jamba
20th Feb 2015, 18:41
Hi everyone,

I can remember that for previous BA FPP selections, the non native english speakers had to get ICAO level 6 minimum.
But I'm looking for it on the current BA website and I can't find this requirement. Does anyone know if the non native english speakers must have ICAO level 6 ?

Thank you all !

tobitronics
20th Feb 2015, 20:49
ICAO Lvl 6 is still a requirement, according to at least CTC and OAA (did not encounter this info at FTEJerez,) however as the programme is the same across the three FTE's, you should expect the ICAO Lvl 6 requirement to still be active.

G-F0RC3
21st Feb 2015, 08:12
"Able to obtain and maintain an EASA Class 1 Medical Certificate (for information please visit Welcome to the UK Civil Aviation Authority.) and pass the British Airways Health Services medical examination"

I already have a valid EASA Class 1, but do one of you know what is the BAHS medical exam? I'd like to know more about that and find out whether they have higher standards than the EASA ones. I've asked BA and CTC but none of them is answering me...

If you have a Class 1 medical then you'll not have any problems with the BA medical.

Hamburger_
21st Feb 2015, 08:56
Thanks G-F0RC3! How is the training going?

bravok73
21st Feb 2015, 13:29
Hey everyone ,my question refers to tobitronics ones, with the application process.

On the previous page was written that you need to send in a CV and cover letter but then others said no and on CTC's website I couldn't find them saying that too.

I never tried out the application process of CTC or anything ,because this would be the first time in my life that I apply for a job.

So do I need to send them a CV and a cover letter? When no ,how does this online application process thingy looks like?
I mean I also have to send them my academic qualifications?

Thanks for you're time!

G-F0RC3
21st Feb 2015, 14:59
Well thanks Hamburger! :)

bravok73; all the details are on the BA FPP website:

Future Pilot Programme - Future Pilot - Reach higher (http://www.britishairways.com/careers/futurepilot/futurepilot_home.shtml)

EZY_FR
22nd Feb 2015, 15:32
Just a quick reminder to all those who may not be aware of this, but please don't share or discuss the details of the application with anyone. You could potentially disqualify yourself from the process if you do so, so don't risk it. Good luck!

Warp
22nd Feb 2015, 22:06
Hello, everyone!

I am wondering whether a successful cadet in possession of a good degree could get an office job with BA besides his position as a First Officer after completing the FPP?

I know piloting is versatile in itself but I think it would be brilliant if one could help the business in the air and on the ground.

Good luck to everyone for the new application window!

Groundloop
23rd Feb 2015, 08:16
I am wondering whether a successful cadet in possession of a good degree could get an office job with BA besides his position as a First Officer after completing the FPP?

Probably not for quite a few years until you have settled in to the company. I know that the Head of Pilot Recruitment was a Senior First Officer for many years (he carried on in the post for a few years after his promotion to Captain).

Sygyzy
23rd Feb 2015, 09:18
Warp,

Being a pilot with a major carrier really isn't a part time job. Were you to be able to move into an office based role - to begin with probably as a grunt in your fleet's training office - you'd still be expected to fulfil your role as a pilot to the high standards expected of you. To get a job as a trainer you'll have to show exceptional skills anyway. Any job/role in parallel is likely to be flying oriented as you'll likely have no relevant skills in any other branch of the business.

Would you not be better served - with a quality degree - in applying for the office job straight away. Getting onto the FPP and then completing the training is a major step on it's own. You really have to want it so much that you can taste it. Considering another path so early, and I question your motivation:(

UCDflyer
23rd Feb 2015, 10:02
OAA mention on their website that applicants must be available to start between Autumn 2015 and Autumn 2016. I am currently in year 3 of a 4 year Engineering degree which finishes May 2016. What is the likely-hood that I can start after that date if I am successful. I don't want to apply and then have to either turn down the offer or leave my degree programme early.

I rang OAA to enquire about this point on their website and the person I spoke to had no information regarding that sentence on their website.

Any advice?

Thanks

wiggy
23rd Feb 2015, 11:16
Warp

I'm going to add a "+ lots" to what the likes of Groundloop and Sygyzy wrote.

Your flying "training" doesn't finish when you graduate from the FPP scheme, or even when you finish line training (in fact the learning process never really finishes). I certainly wouldn't have a game plan of rushing off into an part time office job/part time flying position straight after FPP...and if you do have such immediate ambitions I certainly wouldn't mention it at interview :hmm:.

If you really want to go into a mixed management/flying post I'd give it at the very least a year or two of line flying to a get some experience of what that requires, build up some experience and get somewhere up the learning curve. With that behind you I'd then consider applying for one of the internally advertised admin posts or technical support posts (and BTW that process can be quite competitive, there are plenty of graduates with good degrees working as pilots in BA).

On another tack if you're lucky enough to have the choice of an FPP position or an office job at BA I'd grab the FPP position. I wouldn't assume FPP will always be available and I wouldn't plan on using an office job at BA as a path to the FPP....

Officer Kite
23rd Feb 2015, 18:37
I'm confused as to where we log back into our account once we have set it up in order to complete it. Can anyone please help ? thanks !

VLT_029
23rd Feb 2015, 18:59
Officer Kite,

You have to go to: Careers Home - British Airways (http://www.britishairways.com/careers/index.jsp)

Click on the "Login" tab on the top right hand corner.

Is anyone else having problems filling out the application? More specifically, on the "Summary Page" when I click on certain sections, the relevant page does not load up and instead the Summary Page just reloads.

polar25
23rd Feb 2015, 19:46
VLT_029: I think that you have to complete each of the sections in the order they appear.

Foxdeux
24th Feb 2015, 03:58
So the "The unrestricted right to live and work in the UK" means you need to have a UK passport?

wiggy
24th Feb 2015, 04:56
So the "The unrestricted right to live and work in the UK" means you need to have a UK passport?

No.....see previous posts about the nationalities of those going through or those who have gone through the FPP.

Some basic info here for starters:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/work-abroad/index_en.htm

Do I have the right to work in the UK? - Job Opportunities - University of Cambridge (http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/right/have/)

and the BA's own FPP FAQs website will direct you here:

https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration

In very simplistic terms if you're a national of an established EU member state you almost certainly have the unrestricted right to live and work in the UK. There may also other ways of doing so e.g. family ties to the UK.

Warp
24th Feb 2015, 07:54
wiggy,

Thank you! That is the kind of image I needed.

Sygyzy,

Perhaps I should have mentioned the context in which I asked this question myself.

It is inspired from an article mentioning that the BA CEO has been a pilot himself. Then, I noticed that quite a few pilots become involved into higher management and reminded myself that a pilot I know, extremely dedicated, also has an office job. Naturally, without the news writing about lower levels of leadership, I had to ask myself to what extent these ranks are being occupied by pilots in a major airline. I trust all of them are motivated flyers who wish to give their best for the industry.

Thank you all. I believe I have my answer.

Jaair
24th Feb 2015, 11:39
Guys remember to type everything on a word processor such as Microsoft Word and then pasting it onto the application form. I had typed hundreds of words, pressed save and the page timed out! Did everything I could do recover but it's all lost now, hours of work gone. Starting it all over now.

Airsick1
24th Feb 2015, 19:55
Did you get a reply regarding your accidental withdrawal of your application form?

how awful. .... If a simple mistake can cost you your application. Hope you get it sorted

reeko
24th Feb 2015, 20:01
Airsick1,

To whom are you referring to?

I haven't heard of this situation on here. But you're absolutely right if it did... awful!

Foxdeux
25th Feb 2015, 03:40
Thanks for the very useful resources, I'm Canadian so it looks like I won't be applying for this opportunity. Best of luck to everyone else.

Jaair
25th Feb 2015, 07:06
My application itself wasn't withdrawn, thankfully (even though it felt like it!!).

I was referring to the form where you have to write the 'essay'. After pressing save on there, the page timed out and I lost what I wrote!

reeko
25th Feb 2015, 08:03
Jaair,

I assume you are talking about the 'essay' where you have to write your 'cover letter' response?

Jaair
25th Feb 2015, 10:23
Jaair,

I assume you are talking about the 'essay' where you have to write your 'cover letter' response?

Affirm! The same applies when you have to write up about your work experience, do it on Word first!!

reeko
25th Feb 2015, 11:30
I was under the impression it was uploaded as a document. But then again I am yet to discover that.

wiggy
25th Feb 2015, 12:25
Foxdeux

I'm Canadian so it looks like I won't be applying for this opportunity.

Being Canadian doesn't automatically rule you out, I've worked with one or two....but you might have to marry a Brit to get a Visa......

kirungi1
25th Feb 2015, 13:05
It doesn't have to be an "indefinite leave to remain" sort of visa neither an EU passport alone, to qualify for this scheme; All you need at a minimum is a "leave to remain" that doesn't restrict you from certain types of employment/training. Any other thing in between, as Wiggy points out, is good enough.

fonawah
25th Feb 2015, 16:17
Is anyone else having problems inputting their qualifications? When I put in the details of my degree, the options to fill in are:
Subject Result Type If other, please specify

There is no section that asked for the date but when you try to save it, I get a message saying
"Please enter the month and year the qualification was awarded or is expected to be awarded".

Ive tried with different browsers, Mac and Windows, Safari and Chrome but I still get the same message!

funkyt111
25th Feb 2015, 16:55
Have you scrolled across to the right? There is more information when you scroll across.

fonawah
25th Feb 2015, 17:17
@funkyt111. Thank you! Found it!

funkyt111
25th Feb 2015, 17:57
No probs. Best of luck :ok:.

mrgvl
25th Feb 2015, 22:27
@fonawah & @funkyt111. I'm having a similar problem where I cannot enter the date of achievement for my degree and it seems I'm unable to scroll to the right to reveal the tab for inputting the date. Is this an error with the webpage?

banjo444
26th Feb 2015, 07:56
out of 1000 applications, 500 will go in the bin due errors.

All numbers made up my me but you get the point.

If you can't work out how to do the form, good luck in the aptitude tests...

Jamba
26th Feb 2015, 08:00
Hi everyone !

Have anyone of you heard from BA concerning the closing date of application ?

funkyt111
26th Feb 2015, 08:53
A bit harsh Banjo...

They may well be having problems with their browsers...

BaronVonBarnstormer
26th Feb 2015, 09:41
@fonawah & @funkyt111. I'm having a similar problem where I cannot enter the date of achievement for my degree and it seems I'm unable to scroll to the right to reveal the tab for inputting the date. Is this an error with the webpage?

Had a similar problem. Seems to be OK if you don't open the site from the BA careers page where the FPP application form is embedded.

If you can't work out how to do the form, good luck in the aptitude tests...
Bit harsh mate. Whoever maintains the website should have put scroll bars on the embedded site as the objects on the page are larger than the window. They should also have fully tested their site before releasing it, especially considering the volume of site traffic they would be expecting.

@mrgvl If you just press tab on your keyboard then it will scroll across in to the next box for you.

pjh2015
26th Feb 2015, 10:42
I know it's early days but has anyone received any reply at all yet? Applied through CTC yesterday and anxiously awaiting a reply.:ok:

Jaair
26th Feb 2015, 12:17
especially considering the volume of site traffic they would be expecting.

At least it's better than the last FPP. I remember not being able to even access the website due to the shear volume of site traffic.

left_base
26th Feb 2015, 13:01
On the subject of site traffic, I wonder if there will be significantly less applications to the FPP this year given that it is in its fourth year, ruling out any unsuccessful applicants that have applied on the previous three occasions.

pjh2015
26th Feb 2015, 13:10
Yep, seems like there aren't as many applicants this year.:E

ManUtd1999
26th Feb 2015, 15:29
Had a similar problem. Seems to be OK if you don't open the site from the BA careers page where the FPP application form is embedded.

Yeah I'm having the same issue. I can't see any date option, then it creates a degree with --/----- entered as a completion date. How do you open it without going to the BA careers page?

banjo444
26th Feb 2015, 16:06
funkyt111

A bit harsh Banjo...

They may well be having problems with their browsers...

True, it is BA IT. But my point is still valid re the application form. Take care and don't fall at the first (easiest) hurdle...

Good luck all.

BaronVonBarnstormer
26th Feb 2015, 16:12
Yeah I'm having the same issue. I can't see any date option, then it creates a degree with --/----- entered as a completion date. How do you open it without going to the BA careers page?

Baron to the rescue......!

Upon first applying i wasn't seeing the application form as embedded in the main BA careers page so could enter the details no drams. It was only after following the link from the email that i was directed to the main careers page.

Try going back through the FPP minisite as if you were starting again and answering the section 1 yes/no questions until you reach section 2 where you can log in.

But like I said earlier, try using tab to navigate you to the correct box first.

Putting my Engineer's hat on; I was using chrome on Win 7 other browsers and OSs might not display the site the same. There is a warning on the front page of the form for all you loonies who bought a Mac saying it may not work for you. And if you're using Ubuntu or Linux, go get some sunlight first, have a play in the grass, maybe even talk to some girls/boys (scary I know) then come back and use a normal pc.

reeko
26th Feb 2015, 16:39
BVB,

Coming from computing myself your post is hilarious!:D

It is a little unprofessional by the site creators, bear in mind this is not necessarily BA but could be an external third party...

pjh2015
27th Feb 2015, 08:38
Anyone got any sort of reply yet from any school? (excluding application confirmation and whatnot) :ugh:

PPRuNeUser0207
27th Feb 2015, 12:17
Hello everybody,

No reply for me yet from the school, I assume all will be quiet until the application window closes.

Very best to everybody who is applying this year!

Has anybody heard how many British Airways plan to hire this year?

funkyt111
27th Feb 2015, 12:35
@Jumpseat

BA are looking for 100 hundred suitable candidates. However, they will only pick 50 if there only 50 suitable candidates. You need to pass every phase of the assessment to be successful. Last year I believe they wanted 60 but only took 48.

Best of luck. :ok:

pjh2015
27th Feb 2015, 13:01
We should hear back before the window closes... perhaps Monday.:hmm:

Warp
27th Feb 2015, 14:59
The invitations are being sent out as we speak. I jut got my invite to OAA after 4 days of waiting.

Good luck!

ScottC95
27th Feb 2015, 15:43
I've heard back from OAA, I've been accepted for the assessment stage 1.

Homa Bird
27th Feb 2015, 16:36
funkyt111, can I ask where you got the figures for the 2013 intake?

funkyt111
27th Feb 2015, 16:38
I attended the assessments and this was how many they told us they were looking for. The 48 figure came from users on pprune.

Jaair
27th Feb 2015, 18:08
Congratulations to all!! What days do you have the assessments?

kirungi1
27th Feb 2015, 18:26
Warp and ScottC95

Congratulations and good luck :ok:

tobitronics
27th Feb 2015, 18:31
Are invitations being sent out before the closure of the application window a sign that the application window may close early? Or has this been standard procedure in the previous years?

Jaair
27th Feb 2015, 19:21
@tobitronics

The same was happening on last year's FPP and they closed it on the date they said they would.

pallan
27th Feb 2015, 19:50
Sent my application yesterday and just had an email to say I have been rejected (CTC).

I'm gutted, and surprised it was so quick to be honest. I thought I at least had half a chance of getting through to the first selection day.

I suppose there isn't a lot I can do. Does anyone know if they will give feedback if I ask as to why? I'm just curious to know

Thanks and good luck to all those who have got through round 1!

funkyt111
27th Feb 2015, 20:35
@pallan

I'm sorry to hear you have been unsuccessful. There's always next year and then the year after that. People are usually rejected at the initial stage for 1 of 2 reasons. Either you didn't meet the minimum education criteria or your answers to the essay questions were poor. Did you proof read it several times? Did you have somebody else proof read it for you? Any errors, double words or misspelling will ultimately place a candidates application in the reject pile. Also maybe the answers you provided to the initial multiple choice questions didnt demonstrate the behaviours of a typical BA pilot.

Hope this helps. Best of luck next time. :ok:

FullTanks
28th Feb 2015, 11:30
funkyt111 has provided some interesting comments regarding the current application window; perhaps I could add a few of my own.

I and several other current and retired aircrew offered some practical advice when the the initial FPP course was launched, so you will find some guidance at the start of this thread. It is perhaps inevitable that year on year the number of applicants for this scheme will decline over time, but BA will only take those they deem suitable as future captains and those whom they consider will be able to cope with the rigours of the courses and a working life in which you will be tested on a very regular basis. This is good news for those who are self funded at the three ATOs chosen by BA to train their cadets, in that they may require additional graduates to fill any shortfall. It is also good news for DEPs seeking to change employer, particularly if they are Airbus qualified, though there has also been some recruitment onto the heavier jets from those so qualified.

Be very aware that you should not exchange information about the selection content on any social media site. We all know that it is possible for any potential employer to trace the identity of posters - apparently - although I have no knowledge that any such investigation is, or would be, carried out by BA.
In a similar vein, try to make any posts on this or any other forum as correct in spelling, grammar, punctuation and syntax as I'm sure that you will when completing your applications. As has been said, failure to do so may prevent your application from passing the first hurdle, and it may end up in the proverbial bin........so start practising now.

Before rushing to PPRuNe and posting what many consider a 'dim' question, try to work it out for yourself. It is very obvious that a significant number of potential applicants have not read the BA FPP website very carefully. If you don't understand a particular point, perhaps about the possible funding arrangements, ask friends or family first. Only dim people ask dim questions, and you run the risk of a public put down by a more knowledgable Pruner. If you need assistance in completing the application, you will find each flying course you embark upon a very uphill struggle, never mind the career long conversion courses and recurrent flying checks, on the aircraft and in the simulator.

Finally, do get someone to proof read your answers on the on line application before hitting the send button. Hopefully, this will avoid your application ending up in that bin at BA recruitment.

Good luck to you all. The recently published news of IAG's continued financial success could mean you will have a successful and enjoyable carrier for life with a globally renowned airline.

MaydayMaydayMayday
28th Feb 2015, 11:33
OAA mention on their website that applicants must be available to start between Autumn 2015 and Autumn 2016. I am currently in year 3 of a 4 year Engineering degree which finishes May 2016. What is the likely-hood that I can start after that date if I am successful. I don't want to apply and then have to either turn down the offer or leave my degree programme early.

I rang OAA to enquire about this point on their website and the person I spoke to had no information regarding that sentence on their website.

Any advice?

Thanks

While you can state a preference as to when you'd ideally be available, you won't necessarily get it.

Some people have been accepted while in their final year at uni and were able to finish off their degree, although there are certainly others who cut a degree short to take up an FPP place.

Jaair
28th Feb 2015, 13:35
Should references be listed in the CV?

Warp
28th Feb 2015, 13:53
Jaair,

If you have the space you can include them.

However, from my experience, it is not a must. I realised that whenever someone wants to check your references, they will specifically ask for them at that point in time.

ivansf
28th Feb 2015, 23:45
Hi guys,

I am interesting to apply for BA FPP but i have several questions about LOAN.
I am from Serbia..is there anyone who got loan that is not from UK? I got several informations from BBVA..first that i need property for loan, second that if i am going with BAW, company will be my loan guarrantor..also in order to start credit application i heard that you have to be at least 6 month in UK prior to applying for loan.

What happens with people who pass all tests from BAW , and do not get loan?

I really don't know what to do now

Thanks for help.

Jaair
1st Mar 2015, 09:14
@Warp

Thanks for the reply.

Are personal details such as address, DOB, etc. in the CV necessary as we already provided them on the main application?

funkyt111
1st Mar 2015, 12:24
There are a lot of people asking questions about what to detail on the CV. In my opinion, you should detail everything on the CV as you usually would when applying for a job (but keep it within 2 pages as requested by BA). A CV without personal details or employment information would look unprofessional. Yes, all the information will duplicate what you have already input on BA's application system but BA have asked for your CV for a reason.

EZY_FR
1st Mar 2015, 16:00
Has anyone who applied through FTEJerez received a response? I remember they left it all until the application window closed last time around.

dontforgetthecowls
1st Mar 2015, 18:37
Good luck to those applying this year. Don't be afraid to try again this year if you got rejected last year. A surprising number of those at waterside last year were on successful on their third go.

The selection process is the easy bit! I am finding ground school very hard, with almost unendless facts to learn.

Also Ground school hits home how other airlines treat their cadets. Emirates cadets don't have to pay a penny, get paid a salary of over a thousand pounds per month in training, get 6 months ground school before they even start their atpl ground school, get a pay rise after they pass their atpl subjects, free business class travel and have a shiny 777 or a380 waiting for them at the end. If you are from the UAE, don't even think of applying to the FPP.

My words of advice are to learn every single fact about BA, say it's your dream to work for BA, engage in the group exercises, pass the computer games and you should do very well..

kirungi1
1st Mar 2015, 19:08
dontforgetthhecowls

I hope you will find motivation from the challenge of your ground school.

Would the EK Cadets have the benefit of honing their skills in such a busy airspace, with so many take-offs and landings, every fresh cadet pilot appreciates to master the trade!?
I wouldn't draw parallels between the two schemes as the motivating purposes by these two carriers are different.

I appreciate your insight and advice on the application/assessment process and good luck with your training and possible long and exciting career with BA.

Officer Kite
1st Mar 2015, 20:29
Guess it's time to marry an Emirati :E

On a more serious note, can anyone confirm or deny that BA took less than they were hoping to last year and this year to hope to take even more, I know the 100 figure for this year is confirmed to be true, but is last year's alleged shortcoming also true ?
I'm just trying to get an idea of the situation, as if you're unsuccessful during the BA selection, you may very well stand an even greater chance of being chosen by BA from the standard 'wings' route this time round, as historically they have always made up for a lack of cadets from the 'wings' pool.

funkyt111
1st Mar 2015, 20:37
Officer Kite,

As I said before, there are lots of experienced users on pprune who have previously confirmed these figures. BA wanted 60 people last year. They only chose 48.

Also, if you decided to go down the CTC wings route and BA needed further cadets you would still have to pass BA's rigorous selection process to be selected.

Hope this helps. :ok:

FullTanks
1st Mar 2015, 21:29
The cadets selected from the CTC Wings scheme all had to pass the standard BA PFF cadet selection. If you applied from this route you would need to be deemed BA standard anyway, when you had previously failed the selection. Your training record will also be subject to scrutiny - first time passes at all progress tests and high marks in the ATPL exams will almost certainly be the baseline from which any possibly successful applicants will be selected. You are assuming that BA's recent past practice of recruiting from that particular scheme will continue adding to any PFF shortfall in the future.
Regarding the comments suggesting that Emirates cadets are on some enhanced 'deal'. You are all, I'm sure, aware that they recruit direct entry captains and copilots? What do you think that does for your command prospects, assuming that you join as a cadet? The skills you may or may not obtain from being the most junior crew on a 330 or 380 bear no comparison with those gained as P2 on multiple short sectors in NW Europe. At the accrual rate of flying hours in BA you will be anticipating 'unlocking' your frozen ATPL in 3 - 4 years, thus making you eligible for a command when you achieve the seniority to apply. Given that commands at LGW are capped at pay point 14, many copilots elect to stay in the RH seat of a long haul aircraft as a lifestyle choice.
Finally, I suggest that, if you have not previously visited the Gulf, you have a short holiday there in July or August - it's not yet air conditioned outside - though I expect they may be working on that.

wiggy
2nd Mar 2015, 04:31
many copilots elect to stay in the LH seat of a long haul aircraft as a lifestyle choice.

Fulltanks -Not trying to be picky but just trying to avoid confusion - is that a typo..or are you hinting at the amount of time a co-pilot might spend in the LHS as "heavy"?

I suggest that, if you have not previously visited the Gulf, you have a short holiday there in July or August - it's not yet air conditioned outside:E

ry.de
2nd Mar 2015, 11:36
Hi everyone,

To those who already got a reply, when exactly did you send your application (the first day? the first hours?) ? do you think their reply are by chronological order or is it more random ?
Best of luck to everyone ! :)

dontforgetthecowls
2nd Mar 2015, 15:49
I'm not suggesting that I would want to work for Emirates, or that I am eligble for their cadet scheme. My point is that if Emirates think its makes good business sense to give their cadets a better deal, then I would hope BA would too. If they did then they might be able to fill all their slots with candidates that pass the selection.

When you discuss with the Emirates cadets the "UK Airline Sponsorship", they can't understand why you would do it. This is not a BA specific problem, when you analyse it there isnt much difference between the Virgin MPL, Easyjet MPL and FPP in terms of finance. Even in europe Aer Lingus and Lufthansa have offered part sponsorship.

With the Emirates and Virgin cadets, I'm guessing it does take longer for your line training. It wouldn't concern me that I had not learned my trade on shorthaul. The Emirates cadets are expecting to fly the out and back Gulf trips and india, so should be clocking up 2 sectors a day during line training. You will be unfrozen sooner, because you fly more block hours on Long Haul?

ManUtd1999
2nd Mar 2015, 17:01
Anyone heard anything from FTE yet? Apparently there are online questions to do before the assessment centre this year?

funkyt111
2nd Mar 2015, 19:25
ManUtd1999,

With regards to the online questions before the assessment; are you getting this information from FTE's website? If so, I wouldn't pay any attention to this. This has been on FTE's website for the past 2 years and not once has there been any question prior to the assessment.

FullTanks
2nd Mar 2015, 21:19
Thanks Wiggy.
It should of course read RH seat......and here I am encouraging everyone to proof read their applications! Obviously it's 'pensioner's brain fade'.

ManUtd1999
2nd Mar 2015, 22:32
I was just taking info from the FTE website re online tests. I can't remember it being there in previous years but I could be wrong.

Chemlot
4th Mar 2015, 11:33
sounds to me like its only Oxford that's sent out invites so far.

any more invites out yet? the suspense is killing me!

EZY_FR
4th Mar 2015, 23:18
CTC started sending out invites last week. Not sure about FTE though.

Hamburger_
5th Mar 2015, 04:46
Nothing yet from FTE.

Phen
5th Mar 2015, 08:01
From reading last year's posts about FPP earlier on in this thread, it would seem FTE were the last ones to respond, well after the closing date.

GeorgEGNT
5th Mar 2015, 08:48
No news from CTC. Application submitted Friday. Anybody fit into this window and heard back?
Good luck to all.

am59fly
5th Mar 2015, 09:47
Hi guys,

I'm not sure of the reasons behind the wait for a response after submitting an application.

I sent mine at 1130 on Tuesday and was invited for selection at 1900 the same day.

It's perhaps due to the number of applications received on that day ?

GeorgEGNT
5th Mar 2015, 10:43
I couldn't apply on day one as I'm on my honeymoon and it started on day one! That wouldn't have gone down too well!

Best thing is that we find out either way so it doesn't worry me too much. We'll find out when they're ready to tell us. Doesn't make the wait any easier mind.

Once again best of luck to those going on assessment. I have my fingers crossed for the rest of us.

Jaair
5th Mar 2015, 13:04
The application window has been extended to Monday the 9th. Not many applicants this year round?

BaronVonBarnstormer
5th Mar 2015, 13:35
I'd say 12hrs is not going to make much difference. More likely that because the application window didn't open bob on midnight of the 23rd they are ensuring that they are keeping to their 2 week window.

Still no word from FTE though.

reeko
5th Mar 2015, 13:53
Still nothing from FTE either :hmm:

tobitronics
5th Mar 2015, 18:25
To the folks that have received an invitation for assessment, when have they planned it? I'm asking for an approximate timeframe, not the exact date.

If you don't wish to tell or are not allowed to, what was the amount of time between the closure of the application and the assessments held in previous years? (could not find any info myself)

I have some other things to plan in the upcoming 2 months so it would be handy to know :)

am59fly
6th Mar 2015, 07:41
Tobitronics,

The initial phase of selection will be completed by the first week of April, and successful candidates will be invited to Waterside during April, with the final selection events running at Waterside until May at some point.

My FTO selection is next week.

funkyt111
6th Mar 2015, 08:18
Tobitronics,

All this information can be found on BA's FPP website.

tobitronics
6th Mar 2015, 09:04
Yes I know, but what I asked for was the exact timeframe. 'Before the beginning of April' could mean that assessment takes place next week, but it could also take place on the 31st of March. That was my point. I am well informed about the rest of the application and assessment procedures.

Anyway, am59fly and funky thanks for your reactions and time.

GeorgEGNT
6th Mar 2015, 09:18
You'd have to contact your FTO and BA for exact dates. In my honest opinion though I don't think they'll tell you anymore than what's already on the website at this stage.

Most people are waiting patiently and will attend the assessments whenever they are told to with whatever notice and at whatever cost so bear that in mind. Having said that if you do have some pressing/ non-negotiable engagements approaching I can't see it doing any damage getting in touch and seeking further info.

EZY_FR
6th Mar 2015, 11:22
I just spoke to someone from FTE and they said we won't hear anything until next week.

Chemlot
6th Mar 2015, 12:54
I sent my application away pretty much at the start of the window and I've not heard anything back yet (from ctc). It really messes with your head cause I've seen some people already been given dates for ctc and then some people rejected on the same day they applied!.. Can anyone offer any insight?

I sort of feel like my application was good enough not to be rejected straight off but not so good that they don't feel like waiting to see if someone better might come along. Just invite me to interview BA! I'll blow your socks off in person I promise! :)

tobitronics
6th Mar 2015, 12:55
FTE has replied to me concerning the first assessment phase. Dates have not been confirmed yet but the assessment will most likely take place in the last week of March.

reeko
6th Mar 2015, 12:57
tobitronics,

Is this in response to an email you sent or feedback from your application?

kirungi1
6th Mar 2015, 13:35
To be honest, I would be concerned about securing that, all important, invitation to assessment and then every other thing would definitely fall somewhere in between.
Anyone could be left out at this stage.

tobitronics
6th Mar 2015, 13:58
@reeko

No, I contacted them myself. Up until now I have not had any response on my application

jscott91
6th Mar 2015, 21:30
Does anyone know why the BA website states that you will not be able to submit the application using an apple laptop? I managed to do it fine? Am i missing something?

Steveooo516
7th Mar 2015, 08:00
Just received the good news e-mail from FTE!

tobitronics
7th Mar 2015, 08:05
When did you submit your application?

Steveooo516
7th Mar 2015, 08:17
tobitronics,

I pressed the send button on Monday the 2nd at 13:30 on the dot. No doubt they're on their way now, so I don't think you'll have to wait much longer!

tobitronics
7th Mar 2015, 08:23
True, although I submitted only yesterday morning, so probably will have to wait a bit longer than you did. Thanks for the heads up anyway!

funkyt111
7th Mar 2015, 08:28
Received my invite this morning too. Can't wait!

Steveooo516
7th Mar 2015, 08:43
I've booked for the 26th at 11:00, if anyone on this fine forum is going for the same then please feel free to PM me, getting to know some of you beforehand can never be a bad thing! :ok:

flyer1123
7th Mar 2015, 09:06
Can anyone let us know what date range FTE and CTC are offering for first assesments?

This would be very useful for planning for me (hopeful of course!), and I am sure this is not in any way confidential etc, I would never ask for info of that nature.

jscott91
7th Mar 2015, 09:58
Does anyone know why the BA website states you cannot submit an application using an apple laptop? I managed it fine just now? Am I missing something?

Cheers

GeorgEGNT
7th Mar 2015, 10:00
Just out of interest, where are the FTE guys going for assessments these days?
Congrats and good luck to those who have recently received invites.

LandingConfig
7th Mar 2015, 10:33
Just received my FTE assessment email this morning.

The assessments are near Heathrow.

my_call
7th Mar 2015, 13:03
This is not a moan, just an observation some have pointed out before. It is ironic that a pool with probably some of the best candidates is disqualified. That is those of us to which flying means almost more than anything and would spend all the pennies we can gather over the years to get that elusive CPL licence, some in very creative ways. At this point, don't get me wrong. I do not for one second suggest that those who are eligible do not deserve this opportunity. If you go through the list of qualities BA state they are looking for though, there is ready evidence of that from low hour CPL candidates.

A natural response could be "well, you are already qualified, why would you look to apply to a cadetship". I would say look at it this way, military pilots can still apply, but more crucially, in flying there are several routes to working in the seat of an airline, but let's look namely at self-sponsorship vs cadetships. With self-sponsorship, one cannot under normal circumstance apply to an airline such as BA after qualification. It would take years of hurdles to get to this position if at all, whereas with cadetships you are on the fast track. The point therefore is that there is a disparity, resulting in a handicap against the qualified vs someone who just decided to take a chance. It is as though something which should be seen as a quality is being looked down upon. I have not delved into whether this is a unique phenomenon to aviators or not, it just seems somewhat absurd.

For myself, I got to the last stage of a previous FPP programme and as was always my plan, pursued self-sponsorship as a Plan B. My opinion on the matter has not changed by virtue of being in the situation of now holding a CPL, it has just become a personal reality. Previous programmes did not clearly state that you could not hold a CPL and in fact, I "heard" of situations where CPL holders had got into the scheme. The restriction then appeared limited to having taken ATPL exams, so the flaw in my plan was that I thought by attaining an FAA CPL that I would still be eligible to re-apply, since it was not EASA. Also, I could not wait another year in hope, not knowing the reasons for not getting the final nod in the first place. There was simply no assurance that anything material would have changed the following year, since I had already worked pretty hard for that application that even with self-criticism I was still without real clue as to what I needed to do. To my detriment, I took what action I could to move forward based on what I knew.

I'll end by saying, I'm not naive to there being unstated reasons for why these programmes work the way they do. Suffice to state that British Airways is a business and dynamics pertinent to such an environment and external factors must come into play.

With all that said all the very best to those applying!

MaydayMaydayMayday
7th Mar 2015, 13:23
...military pilots can still apply...

Many/most can't. Only those who "have not yet commenced training at an Operational Conversion Unit (OCU)" can apply.

All at sea
7th Mar 2015, 14:37
Just received my invite for FTE! Excited to even get this far!

EZY_FR
7th Mar 2015, 15:11
I only submitted my application to FTE at 5pm last night, so I doubt I will get a response anytime soon. Hope I get my response early next week, and hopefully it's a good one this time around!

EZY_FR
7th Mar 2015, 15:21
All at sea, when did you submit your application?

BaronVonBarnstormer
7th Mar 2015, 15:44
Anyone else having trouble paying for FTE? Following the link from the email just sends me to the FTE site with this error message:

"Error: The campaign doesn't exist"

Steveooo516
7th Mar 2015, 16:27
Same situation here BVB, I sent an e-mail to FTE this morning, and in my experience they typically reply within 48hrs.

I'm quite happy keeping my £225 for now :}

LandingConfig
7th Mar 2015, 16:30
Applied on Tuesday, got my FTE invitation this morning. Same issue as above.

All at sea
7th Mar 2015, 18:02
EZY I applied on Tuesday afternoon around midday.

kirungi1
7th Mar 2015, 20:49
BVB and All at Sea, congratulations and good luck!

Mikhou
8th Mar 2015, 10:14
Congratulations to all who got an invitation so far!

Still looking for mine, applied last weekend.

Ponny10
8th Mar 2015, 14:49
I have a dilemma. I could either try to enter the FFP, Pursue a Master degree or If I'm lucky be selected to a flight school in my home country which is free of charge. I still want to send my application for the FFP but will this mean that I've wasted one of my 3 attempts even if I don't attend any selection?

I couldn't find this answer on their website or anywhere else on the forum, I apologize if such a question already exists.

Thanks!

NotBoeing_NotGoing
8th Mar 2015, 18:30
@Ponny10

If you get invited to an interview stage and elect not to go then I'm not sure if they will ever let you apply again unless due to unforeseen circumstances.

But if you are meaning what happens if you do not get selected this time around, then yes you would lose an application chance. However, I'm not sure how much longer this programme will be running so I would say apply anyways.

Better hurry, less than 24 hours left....

boy_wonder4
8th Mar 2015, 20:01
@Ponny10. I had a similar situation when applying for the Virgin scheme last year; I was fortunate to be selected for stage 2 but was unable to attend due to work commitments. I emailed them explaining my situation and they were understanding. Needless to say I was disappointed however.

Good luck to all applying for the BA scheme. Hopefully see some of you at stage 2s.

MarkSRFC
9th Mar 2015, 00:32
I'm trying to submit my application now, but when I go onto the website its saying that the closing date has passed? Yet I got an email 5 days ago saying it was extended until midday March 9th?

FO_DJ
9th Mar 2015, 04:22
I have this problem too! I was all ready to click submit and now I'm at a loose end as what to do? Can anyone help?

FO_DJ
9th Mar 2015, 04:29
I have managed to log back in to my application. However it is now saying **NEVER SUBMITTED** and I cannot edit anything. Any advice anyone?

G-F0RC3
9th Mar 2015, 07:39
Suggest you call them asap this morning. They should be able to re-open your application to allow you to finish and submit it before 12:00 today.

GeorgEGNT
9th Mar 2015, 07:53
People have contacted CTC via social media so around 8am-9am the alarm will be raised to BA.
Hope you all get it sorted. Still waiting for my response, fingers crossed it comes soon.

EZY_FR
9th Mar 2015, 08:09
Call BA resourcing NOW. 0870 60 80 747.

MarkSRFC
9th Mar 2015, 08:22
edit: my application appears to be re-open! Those in the same position ring BA Recruitment on 020873585050

FO_DJ
9th Mar 2015, 09:55
My application has also re-opened. I completed every section but before I could click submit I think the page has gone down? It's continually stuck on a loading page. I've tried ringing BA Resourcing but it's just an answer machine.

MarkSRFC
9th Mar 2015, 09:58
Yeah, been trying to submit mine the last while and site isnt loading. Could be due to traffic.

GeorgEGNT
9th Mar 2015, 10:01
CTC have confirmed that the deadline will be extended until at least midnight tonight due technical difficulties on their website.

Source: CTC Facebook page

EDIT: It now appears the deadline has been extended to 1159hrs on the 11th.

SwissChrono
9th Mar 2015, 10:36
Can i just check then that no one else can get onto the site....
I have been trying since 6:30 and at first it said it was trying to load, but now it just automatically goes to failed to open page....

Steveooo516
9th Mar 2015, 11:47
Update on payment issues with FTE:

I retried the link provided in the original e-mail this morning and got through. I would assume therefore that the issue have been fixed but if you're still having trouble, they are aware of it and are "currently doing our very best to solve it as soon as possible"

Note that payment will be in euros, (€312 at the time I paid) so if you are able to use an international transfer service you could save yourself a few £s by avoiding the bank's ludicrous exchange rates and charges!

MarkSRFC
9th Mar 2015, 11:54
Have FTE disclosed where their assessment centre will be?

juniour jetset
9th Mar 2015, 12:00
didn't bother applying this time, a lifetime of Aerotoxic fumes has put me off this career

aerotoxic syndrome doesn't appeal to me like it once did

kirungi1
9th Mar 2015, 12:05
junior jetset, I still believe that this initiative provides by far the best opportunity to enthusiasts.

juniour jetset
9th Mar 2015, 12:11
aerotoxic syndrome enthusiasts?? :eek:

juniour jetset
9th Mar 2015, 12:15
kirungi1 - I agree with you on your point though,

the Virgin programme is rather good too .. straight into Long haul on a heavy, almost unheard of (I know Cathay do a 2nd officier scheme, but correct me if I'm wrong, you can't land/take off the darn thing)

BaronVonBarnstormer
9th Mar 2015, 12:36
polar25: Not really supposed to discuss that sort of thing. Its up to you to interpret what a "cover letter" is asking for. My advice would be to google what a cover letter is.

Edoooos
9th Mar 2015, 13:37
Hi guys,

I got invited for the first assessment day for FTE. I'm a bit doubting about flying to London. I never passed physics on the level FTE requires according to the guide material they sent (another system in Dutch high school system). Does anybody have any experience with the level of physics on the first assessment? Of course I would be able to study all the material in the guide, but is there more than that on the assessment day?

Cheers from Amsterdam!

EZY_FR
9th Mar 2015, 13:44
Just received an invite for FTE!

GeorgEGNT
9th Mar 2015, 13:50
EZY_FR Congrats.

Good timing volunteerpilot your time may be approaching.

I'm in the same boat as keeflyer.

EZY_FR
9th Mar 2015, 13:53
volunteer pilot - Email

Jaair
9th Mar 2015, 14:09
Anyone else hear back from CTC?

Officer Kite
9th Mar 2015, 14:16
Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that OAA haven't received as many as FTE or CTC ? Anyone here chosen OAA ?

EZY_FR
9th Mar 2015, 14:18
Would love to meet some of you at the assessment. Anyone here going to the fte assessment on the 26th at 08:30, send me a PM.

funkyt111
9th Mar 2015, 14:24
Based on previous years, OAA usually receive the most applicants followed closely by CTC and then FTE. When I was booking my interview, there were only around 25-30 slots per day which has led me believe that FTE have only invited around 150 through to the next stage. I could be wrong though.

Jaair
9th Mar 2015, 14:34
Looks like the application window has been extended to Wednesday for you unlucky folks who were having trouble.

funkyt111
9th Mar 2015, 14:40
volunteerpilot,

The application is not initially screened by BA. It is sent directly to the FTO.

GeorgEGNT
9th Mar 2015, 14:44
That would make sense. FTO to check basic requirements are met; BA staff to read over essay question etc? Fewer forms for them to trawl through.

Not much coming out of CTC at the moment? Getting anxious.

pjh2015
9th Mar 2015, 14:47
Nope, I can confirm the applications are firstly screened by BA, then sent to the FTO for secondary screening. After the FTO's screening, invites are sent out.

GeorgEGNT
9th Mar 2015, 15:22
Just out of nappies?
Under 30?

Seems strange to say really. (One FTO having a particular appreciation for younger candidates rather than all of them.)

GeorgEGNT
9th Mar 2015, 15:36
It would certainly be interesting to see the age range of previous FPP graduates.
I really would have thought that BA would appreciate a candidate with some valuable experience. I could still be correct of course. Time will tell. I'm sure I'll discover my fate soon enough.

funkyt111
9th Mar 2015, 15:45
There have been a good number of candidates well over 30 years old. I'm led to believe that the median age is around 25-26 years old.

tobitronics
9th Mar 2015, 15:56
To all FTE invited candidates, have you all submitted your applications in the beginning of the assessment window or near the end of it?

EZY_FR
9th Mar 2015, 15:59
I submitted my application on Friday at 5pm.

Officer Kite
9th Mar 2015, 16:06
From the people I have spoken to on the BAFPP, the majority of cadets are mid to late twenties and with degrees behind them. 18-21 is definitely not the common age range from those I've spoken to who are on it.

EZY_FR
9th Mar 2015, 16:09
For those attending selection at FTE, where are you guys staying? Need to fly down the night before.

BaronVonBarnstormer
9th Mar 2015, 16:14
Civic Guest House. £45 a night with breakfast :ok:

funkyt111
9th Mar 2015, 16:21
EZY_FR

Stay at the Park Grand Hotel. Usually around 50ish per night. Really nice hotel and its literally a 5 min walk max from the assessment centre. They do a good breakfast too. :ok:

All at sea
9th Mar 2015, 19:16
Congrats EZY!

Is anyone going to the assessment on the 23rd (early slot)? I'll be driving up or taking the train as I'm already in London. Just spoke to an FO who trained at FTE and he assured me that is by far the best FTO. Possibly biased but it made me happy to hear that he enjoyed his time there! 😊

reeko
9th Mar 2015, 19:45
volunteerpilot,

Is that a response you got to an email you sent or is it a PFO email... :confused:

GeorgEGNT
9th Mar 2015, 20:00
Looks to be a PFO unfortunately.

reeko
9th Mar 2015, 20:18
eeek :eek:...

GeorgEGNT
9th Mar 2015, 20:28
A friend I know from University has received an invitation from CTC today.
Mentioned they applied in the first week of the window.
They're getting there. Slowly but surely.

funkyt111
9th Mar 2015, 20:46
My commiserations to those that have been unsuccessful. Take some time to reflect on your application. Read your answers to the essay questions and think how you could improve your answers. Did you have someone else proof read your application? Usually the reason for being unsuccessful lies somewhere in the answers to your essay questions or your answers to the initial application questions.

Best of luck in the future. :ok:

Right Hand Pilot
9th Mar 2015, 20:47
I was just wondering... I am new to this forum so hey! I am looking to apply to this course and was wondering what happens if BA don't have any positions open at the end ? How do you get your security bond back? Also, i have read some posts saying that there are not many young cadets (19 and 20 year olds)... this is a bit sad to hear but what can you do... also, for those who have had offers from ctc, did you get all A's and A*'s in gcse and a level? Also, are maths and physics a level advantagous to your application? Thanks a lot you guys and i hope you can all help me:) especially those with offers:) once again thanks a lot and a huge good luck to those with offers:)):ok::D

Stocious
9th Mar 2015, 21:15
Just spoke to an FO who trained at FTE and he assured me that is by far the best FTO. Possibly biased but it made me happy to hear that he enjoyed his time there! 😊

Debatable!

tobitronics
9th Mar 2015, 21:51
@volunteerpilot,

Just to keep things straight: You were rejected because there were too many applications, or were you rejected and they only told you now because of the number of applications? (I know its a 99% chance it is the latter option, but as someone who is waiting on a reply from FTE this matters to me :p )

Tommerhawk
9th Mar 2015, 22:25
Evening all,

I sent my application off to CTC on Friday night, heard back with the good news about 3 hours ago. Surprised at the relatively quick response considering some guys have been waiting since the first week. Good luck to all who are still waiting, can't be much longer now! Commiserations to the unsuccessful, I know I learned a lot from my rejection at FTO selection last year - stick at it, persistence is key!

All at sea
9th Mar 2015, 22:34
Hence the 'possibly biased'

EZY_FR
9th Mar 2015, 23:03
volunteerpilot

I'm really sorry to hear about your news, I know exactly how that feels. Don't let it bother you though, one of the things that BA wants to see is how you come out of a situation like this. Look at your CV and the Cover Letter, is there anything you felt you could have improved on? Look at these things, as well as your answers for the multi-choice questions. Keep your chin up, the FPP will almost certainly return next year and possibly the next couple after that.

aviator-P
10th Mar 2015, 00:02
Hey volunteerpilot,

You maybe in luck as the window for the BAFFP are still open to make another application with a different FTO. I personally thought that we weren't allowed to make another application if we received bad news, but CTC think otherwise.

This is what I came across as I read through CTC's BA FPP Q&A session.

*FB USER* - "Hello. Received a rejection letter from another FTO, can I reapply to you before tomorrow? Or is a rejection universal? Thanks."

CTC Aviation - (*FB USER*) please can you standby on this? I am awaiting confirmation from another member of our team..................

CTC Aviation "*FB USER*, I have just received confirmation that yes you are able to submit a further application, but you will need to do this ahead of the deadline tomorrow at 12:00. Emma".

Its worth a shot buddy.... all the best with your new application. :ok:

LandingConfig
10th Mar 2015, 00:54
Tried to book my FTE assessment and received the message 'no slots available' - do I now need to wait for the next round?

MaydayMaydayMayday
10th Mar 2015, 01:28
From the people I have spoken to on the BAFPP, the majority of cadets are mid to late twenties and with degrees behind them. 18-21 is definitely not the common age range from those I've spoken to who are on it.

Think that seems pretty accurate. Current group on the type rating range from 22 to 41, with a couple in mid 30s and the majority in their 20s.

Also, 22 is not the youngest and 41 is not the oldest to have gone through. 18 and 46 seem to ring a bell as the youngest and oldest at the time of being accepted. Anyone got any advance on that? :}

GeorgEGNT
10th Mar 2015, 06:39
A real pleasure to read.

funkyt111
10th Mar 2015, 07:14
@aviator-p, volunteerpilot.

I think CTC have made a mistake here so I would ignore them. It clearly states on BA's website that this is not possible.

"No. You must decide at which of the three FTOs you would like to undertake your training before you commence your application. We therefore recommend that you visit the websites of all three approved FTOs and study their offerings carefully. For clarity, if you are not successful in the selection process at your selected FTO, it will not be possible to apply to either of the other two FTOs in this application window."

parkfell
10th Mar 2015, 08:37
BA probably do not historically have any issues with age, per se.

Back in 1992 they sent a group of FLT ENGs to BAe Flying College, Prestwick to train for licence issue. This coincidenced with the 747-200 being replaced by the -400. A handful of Concorde guys as well.
I think the youngest we had was aged 28, and the oldest 44.

Once you get past 35 or so, it does become harder. A great deal more effort is required compared to when you were say 28 or less.
Having said that, if you have the aptitude, hand to eye coordination etc, age is probably no real barrier.

:ok:

GeorgEGNT
10th Mar 2015, 09:07
Congrats keeflyer.

GrobblySquirrel
10th Mar 2015, 09:17
I've seen there are clearly quite a few responses from those applying to FTE and CTC by now, but bar the first 2 responses from this year on the thread, has anyone else heard from OAA, positively or otherwise? Thanks

GeorgEGNT
10th Mar 2015, 09:26
No I haven't heard anything back just yet. You sent your application on day one didn't you?
Mine was sent in the following Saturday. I guess in the grand scheme of things with CTC it's early days. The good thing is is that people have started hearing back now. It's now a case of frantic 'F5-ing'.

RAM787
10th Mar 2015, 09:43
Congrats! Well I have submitted my application on Feb 28th (Jerez) but I didn't get any reply so far.. Does it automatically mean that it has been rejected?

polar25
10th Mar 2015, 09:49
LandingConfig: have you had any joy in finding a slot? Perhaps it would be a good idea to give them a call?

GeorgEGNT
10th Mar 2015, 11:13
Those with invitations.

Has your application form on the BA website changed to reflect your progression to the next phase?

Does your online account move through the process with you?

EZY_FR
10th Mar 2015, 11:34
My status still shows up as submitted, but an interview booked box now sits below the submitted message.

LandingConfig
10th Mar 2015, 11:35
Just checked again, there are now additional dates available.

Will be booking quickly this time!

Ryan93
10th Mar 2015, 15:48
LandingConfig: Are the available dates still in March or are things moving into April? - Yet to hear a response from FTE

pjh2015
10th Mar 2015, 16:24
FTOs don't screen you first.... BA does.

LandingConfig
10th Mar 2015, 16:36
March and April. Very limited however.

And is it really a BA assessment? My understanding was that it was an FTO assessment first, then BA.

funkyt111
10th Mar 2015, 16:44
FTOs don't screen you first.... BA does.

Not true. The FTO's screen the applications and decide who to invite. Not BA.

Ryan93
10th Mar 2015, 17:22
LandingConfig: Are you given a selection of dates or are you assigned a date to attend?

Is anyone else still waiting for a response from FTE?

JDA2012
10th Mar 2015, 17:53
OAA Stage 1 invite just received; I submitted my application early in the afternoon of Sunday 8th.

I hope that nugget of information helps someone - good luck to you all, and perhaps I will see some of you there :ok:

EZY_FR
10th Mar 2015, 18:31
JDA2012-great to see us both receive an invite this time around :ok:

Well done mate! When is your interview?

volunteerpilot
10th Mar 2015, 18:32
I looked at this advert on pprune, this looks good for all those not making it through FPP

Skies Airbus A320 Cadet Program - From Zero to Airline Job

polar25
10th Mar 2015, 18:39
Ryan93: I'm in the same boat as you, still waiting on a reply from FTE.

LandingConfig
10th Mar 2015, 18:39
Ryan93 - You are given a choice.

GeorgEGNT
10th Mar 2015, 19:49
Are the invites coming between regular business hours then? It seems like people have been getting emails on weekends even.