PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Future Pilot Programme.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

kirungi1
21st Mar 2015, 15:00
Absolutely Officer Kite, but I think Funky111 highlights the fact that some potentially good candidates don't stand a chance at the "other two" because numbers have to be crunched! Your final reaction

Officer Kite
21st Mar 2015, 15:08
I think I'm being misunderstood. I agree with funky and it would seem logical that if most applied to OAA for example, there would have to be a serious cull of applications meaning you would stand less chance. That is logical in that sense, however when I look at the wider picture and the fact that BA are out to get the best, it doesn't make sense for them to go about the selection in this manner as they would potentially cut out some very good applicants with applicants of slightly lesser quality making it through in a different FTO simply because there were less numbers at their chosen FTO. BA say that isn't how they go about it and CTC have also told me it isn't what they do so I really don't know what the truth is as there are only so many days for which OAA can run selection meaning some good quality will be cut out.

All in all, I don't think BA would settle for lesser quality and those who make it through at Waterside would not have done so based on luck and the numbers that applied to their particular school.

Now I think it's best this argument was put to bed, it pops up every year :}

funkyt111
21st Mar 2015, 15:15
Officer Kite,

I understand what your saying but stats don't lie. It's no surprise that at the final stage, only a very small amount of candidates from FTE are successful. I think it was 6/7 last year out 48 successful candidates.

kirungi1
21st Mar 2015, 15:27
Thanks to both of you and good luck once again. You plead your cases so well; If only you would carry that enthusiasm to the FTOs & BA for the interviews - somehow one would forget what you're arguing but rather how. :ok:

Officer Kite
21st Mar 2015, 15:51
Thank you Kirungi, I think I may consider becoming a lawyer if I don't get on a pilot programme this year :}

G-F0RC3
21st Mar 2015, 16:38
...only a very small amount of candidates from FTE are successful. I think it was 6/7 last year out 48 successful candidates.

There are 12 FPP3 cadets training at FTE. :ok:

funkyt111
21st Mar 2015, 16:59
...only a very small amount of candidates from FTE are successful. I think it was 6/7 last year out 48 successful candidates.
There are 12 FPP3 cadets training at FTE.

I stand corrected. Thanks mate.

RAM787
21st Mar 2015, 17:41
Hi David, I'm French and live in Paris too if you wanna meet and talk about the programme (my assessment day is on April 7th).

ShaunLanc
22nd Mar 2015, 11:18
Quick question regarding the aptitude tests for CTC; are you required to pass them all or is an average taken?

I've been practising my maths quite extensively however still not 100% confident, so I'm wondering if I did better in the other parts would that balance out?

I know they still interview you if you haven't passed the aptitude tests, but would this mean if you gave a brilliant interview there may be some leeway? Or is there a definite cut off?

Cheers

funkyt111
22nd Mar 2015, 11:25
@ShaunLanc,

You have to pass every element of the assesment process in order to be considered for the final stage.

ShaunLanc
22nd Mar 2015, 12:49
I suspected as much, thanks for the reply mate.

Best get back to it, good luck to everyone applying!

Steveooo516
22nd Mar 2015, 16:58
For any of you who have a "Valid" assessment with FTE I'd be interested to learn what you've heard about which elements you won't have to retake.

I got in touch with FTE a few weeks ago at which point it appeared to be the the PILAPT and FTE's 4 written assessments, that then changed to just PILAPT.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

funkyt111
22nd Mar 2015, 17:25
@Steveooo516

I think each candidate is assessed individually. I have been told that I don't have to resit the PILAPT nor the written tests but I am required to take part in the group exercise, the interview and BA's mental maths test. So one can only assume that maybe they think you could improve on your written test scores?

EZY_FR
22nd Mar 2015, 17:33
I was told that it wasn't possible for me to resit the FTE assessment tests. That tells me that most of the marks are aimed at the group exercise, the interview and the ba maths test.

funkyt111
22nd Mar 2015, 17:37
@EZY_FR,

Wasn't possible or wasn't necessary? No part of assessment carries more weight than other parts. You need to pass each part of the assessment according to FTE's and BA's standard. Do that and you'll make it to the final stages. Your in an advantageous position as you only have to pass the interview, group exercise and mental maths test.

EZY_FR
22nd Mar 2015, 17:42
This is the email I received from FTE, "Please note that after reviewing your situation with the selection team that is currently working with the BA FPP Scheme, I have been informed that unfortunately you can not do all the assessments again as you did our selection in September 2014. You will be required to sit a BA Maths test, interview and group exercise."

funkyt111
22nd Mar 2015, 17:50
Interesting. However, this does mean that you have passed all of these tests already. Otherwise they would not invite you to the assessment as it would be a complete waste of your time and money. Was this email a response to you asking if you could repeat the tests?

EZY_FR
22nd Mar 2015, 17:54
Yes. I wanted to repeat the tests to improve my VR score. After my discussion with you, it isn't really a concern anymore, so its now all about doing well in the interview, group exercise and the BA test. How did you find the interview funky, just out of interest?

funkyt111
22nd Mar 2015, 19:10
The interview is fine. Prepare well and you'll be okay. :ok:

Steveooo516
22nd Mar 2015, 19:39
@funkyt111

That is of course possible, I don't know what the results were I got in those assessments, although the advisor I e-mailed did tell me "If you have gone to the final board with Aer Lingus, we really doubt that will be the case." If each situation is taken individually I guess I have to wait and see! I've been sure to prepare around the board in any case.

LandingConfig
22nd Mar 2015, 19:52
FTE said numeracy and numerical reasoning are two of the written papers - both allowing the use of a calculator. What's the difference between the two? The mental arithmetic is separate.

EZY_FR
22nd Mar 2015, 19:59
The numeracy test tests your mental arithmetic, while the numerical reasoning tests wants you to understand how you can use the information given to you to solve problems.

Steveooo516
22nd Mar 2015, 19:59
@LandingConfig

I'd suggest spending some time going through the Pre-Test guidance material, that should make the differences apparent. BA issue their own mental maths test to be completed at this stage, that's something FTE have little or no control over, is done at all 3 FTOs and is non-calculator. FTE's own assessments however, do allow the use of a calculator.

MarkSRFC
22nd Mar 2015, 20:40
Was just trying to figure out what the main differences between Numeracy & Numerical Reasoning would be! I presume the combined Maths/Physics is a physics test containing calculations? and 'Mental Maths' just without the aid of a calculator.

G-F0RC3
22nd Mar 2015, 21:19
Numeracy involves calculations, and numerical reasoning is applied numeracy. So numeracy is the 567 ÷ 3 type of questions, and numerical reasoning is the if one packet of crisps costs 67p type of questions. :ok: In terms of the difficulty of the questions it's best to refer to the pre-test material FTE send out.

You get to use a calculator for the FTE papers, but the BA paper is without the use of a calculator.

LandingConfig
22nd Mar 2015, 21:31
I just found it at the bottom of the prep pack. I hadn't scrolled past the answers.

Thanks, that clears that up, didn't know the mental maths was by BA, that explains that.

As for numerical reasoning - I was aware they were so basic, but they seem too easy for caluclator use?

funkyt111
22nd Mar 2015, 21:41
The numerical reasoning test on the day is a lot harder than the questions they provide you with. However, the FTE preparation pack provides you with enough material to excel in all tests (not including BA's test).

LandingConfig
22nd Mar 2015, 21:50
So, the way I understand it is that the difference is that numeracy is basic arithmetic with the use of a calculator whereas numerical reasoning is problem-based calculations (also using a calculator), whilst the mental arithmetic is an extra test added by BA.

Budding
23rd Mar 2015, 09:29
So apparently applicants at the CTC day 1 get their results the following day whereas the OAA guys are having to wait till mid-april. Can anyone who went through CTC confirm this?

I also wanted to see if anyone can compare things on the day 1 assessment. I will not provide detail but what I will say is that OAA were way beyond what I was expecting, maths wise and a hell of a lot harder than an MPL a did a year ago at CTC, A LOT harder. It required me to remember formulas off the top of my head (nearly 10 yrs since I used them a GCSE), it used higher pythagoras, acceleration, drag etc. whereas the MPL at CTC about a year ago used none of this. Everything you needed to work with was on screen and it was logical. The MPL seemed to be a numerical reasoning assessment whereas the OAA assessment was like re-sitting maths GCSE/AS Levels. The 'higher physics' was also similar, I hit questions that I could work a lot of it out but not get to the final answer as I just hadn't done this stuff for nearly 10 years. You are also talking about re-arranging some failry difficult equations. What I would say guys is prepare WELL, I plan to buy myself some Maths/Physics text books and go through them over the next year to ensure I'm well prepped for when this comes around again.

There is also other assessments that you do on the day that are NOT mentioned in the email or the invitation. I won't reveal what it is because I don't know if OAA are keeping it secret for a reason or if they have just forgotten to tell people. Let's hope it's the former. It was also very easy to be honest (that part).

With regards to the interview, the guy that came out before me said it was the toughest interview he had ever had whereas I found mine fairly pleasurable. But all of the questions asked are as you'd expect, nothing in there to really catch you out.

Can anyone compare with CTC, without giving specific questions/answers?

Good luck to anyone that hasn't yet done it.

kirungi1
23rd Mar 2015, 10:09
Budding, I'm sure the physics in particular remains multiple choice sort of thing which might not be the case at CTC.

Budding
23rd Mar 2015, 10:30
You're correct, both the Maths and Physics are multiple choice but again, as per my post above, it was a LOT harder than I and a lot of other people anticipated. 4 choices are still no help if you can't remember a formula from 10 years ago and it's not provided for you. On some of the questions I ended up playing around with numbers, multiplying, dividing, squaring etc and on a few occasions I came up with an answer that was one of the choices, no idea if it was correct though.

Just to give you an idea, I picked up an A at Maths GCSE and studied it for AS. I have spent the last 10 years (since GCSEs) in a technical environment so I like to think i'm good with maths and have good numerical aptitude. This has also been confirmed by a number of aptitude tests i've passed for other companies. This test however requires a good working knowledge of Maths and Physics GCSE and AS Level problems. I saw a lot of stuff that I recall being able to work out but I couldn't remember the formulas for.

Again can anyone shed any light of the similarities or differences between this and CTC?

kirungi1
23rd Mar 2015, 10:47
Budding, I know what you mean and it doesn't help when you have the pressure of time but with that background, I wouldn't loose hope yet.

am59fly
23rd Mar 2015, 11:00
@Budding,

I went through CTC and was told the following day that I met the required standards, however I still have to wait until mid-April to hear if I'll be going to Waterside. I believe this is because CTC are waiting until all stage 1 selection days have been completed, after which they'll only send the top x%.

funkyt111
23rd Mar 2015, 11:05
@Budding,

At FTE there are four different written tests. Numeracy, which requires algebra, trigonometry, fractions, percentages and geometry. There is also numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning and maths and physics. The maths and physics contains lots of speed, time and distance calculations along with other mechanics. FTE send out a preparation pack before hand which pretty much covers 60% of what is in the tests. However, even if they didn't provide candidates with a prep pack, if you dig around hard enough then you can usually find some information online as to what to expect at the FTO's.

kirungi1
23rd Mar 2015, 11:21
Funky111, are any of those tests multiple choice?

Budding
23rd Mar 2015, 11:22
Funky,

I'm afraid I disagree, I did lots of digging and all the information was rather vague. I also did an MPL a year ago and that was totally different. I also spoke to friends in the industry and what I encountered on the day wasn't what I was expecting. I'd be keen to see if FTE would send me a prep pack, i'd be happy to pay a fee. Is it electronic or all on paper?

I also personally asked the FTO what I should prep for and they told me very little if anything. It shouldn't be a case of digging round and some people starting with more info than others. There should be no hiding what you are going to be asked, maybe a large list of possible topics would help or even some test papers. Surely it's to test if you are good enough to get through training and at no point in training are they going to give you things to work out and refuse to help/advise you.

kirungi1
23rd Mar 2015, 11:33
There should be no hiding what you are going to be asked, maybe a large list of possible topics would help or even some test papers.

Agree, at least a general overview of every aspect of the assessment day.

funkyt111
23rd Mar 2015, 11:37
@Budding,

I agree with what you are saying to some extent. You shouldn't have to dig around. I do however see this as good preparation.

The preparation pack from FTE is designed for FTE candidates. The prep pack wouldn't help a OAA candidate as the tests are completely different. Now you have been to Oxford you have the experience of what to expect next time should you be unsuccessful which will go a long way. There's no better practice than sitting the assessment itself! :ok:

@kirungi1,

Yes all of the tests are multiple choice.

1mag1n3
23rd Mar 2015, 13:32
I agree with Budding on this one. There was no suggestions that the tests would be GCSE/A-Level standard in Maths and Physics. Nothing online or in the material provided by OAA suggested it would be this level. It is just an instant benefit for those who did their GCSE / A-Levels more recently than others. At least if warning was given, people could have prepared and it would have been a level playing field.

However - everyone found it difficult therefore you would have to think the pass mark would reflect the difficulty (hopefully) meaning it'll be a low pass mark...

Otherwise - it is a long wait until mid-April. I'm hoping they get back to us sooner!

G-F0RC3
23rd Mar 2015, 13:40
It would seem fair to assume the level of the assessment papers will be consistent with the minimum entry qualifications for the course. Not sure if this has been the case at OAA or not.

kirungi1
23rd Mar 2015, 13:58
However - everyone found it difficult therefore you would have to think the pass mark would reflect the difficulty (hopefully) meaning it'll be a low pass mark...
I know this sounds funny, but I don't see this happening := Passing every aspect of the assessment would stand.

funkyt111
23rd Mar 2015, 14:44
I know this sounds funny, but I don't see this happening Passing every aspect of the assessment would stand.

A low pass mark doesn't necessarily mean that's it's easy. It can signify the level of difficulty. I have done tests before in the past where the pass mark has been 40% and only a very small portion were able to achieve this.

EZY_FR
23rd Mar 2015, 14:58
TBH, I really do feel that most of the weight is put towards the interview and the group exercise. Yes, you should still try to do the best you can at the written and computer tests, but, in the case of OAA's tests, which appears to be harder than the other two, then the chances are that if you have done well in the interview and the group ex, then the scores in the other tests won't matter AS MUCH.

funkyt111
23rd Mar 2015, 15:06
@EZY_FR

The weight is not put towards any part of the assessment. Each part of the assessment has a pass mark that must be reached in order to be considered for the final stage.

kirungi1
23rd Mar 2015, 15:41
Funky111; I appreciate your correction but would you imagine 10% of say 1000 applicants at OAA failing to reach the initial pass mark of each part of the assessment?

funkyt111
23rd Mar 2015, 15:51
The assessment process as a whole? No. I would expect significantly more than that. Just one part of the assessment? Yes. Remember, fail any part of the assessment and you are ruled out for the final stages even if you have excelled in every other aspect of assessment.

kirungi1
23rd Mar 2015, 16:10
Remember, fail any part of the assessment and you are ruled out for the final stages even if you have excelled in every other aspect of assessment.

I think this is why failing to achieve their pass mark, without having it lowered, would lead to an automatic disqualification. There would be a few hundreds (10%-20%) who would manage achieving all the pass marks.

Budding
23rd Mar 2015, 18:04
@Funky.

I did a LOT of preparation on the information I had. I did an MPL last year, I have a friend that has recently been through CTC as a cadet, I have a friend working with BA and a friend working with Monarch. None of them knew that the test would be at that level nor that i'd be required to know specific formulas. I will now go out and buy GCSE/A-Level Maths and Physics book and work through them until next year but it's a long time to wait. There is no way to prep for stuff you just don't know is coming up. I work a full time job and I can't just re-do my entire Maths/Double Science GCSE and AS Levels in the expectation that something MIGHT come up. They are not assessing my ability to pass AS or GCSE they are assessing my ability to work with numbers. Telling me what i'm going to be assessed on doesn't stop them making the same assessment.

To suggest that I should just chalk it up to practice is ridiculous. I paid £250 for an assessment and I felt I did not do as well as I could have due to not being provided with enough information. Personal situations change and in a year I might not be lucky enough to even be able to attempt this due to family/financial commitments. It should be a fair and open process for everyone first time not a case of do it twice to find out what i'm being tested on or be lucky enough to know someone that went a few weeks before and get some insider information. What other tests in this world work on the basis of not telling you what you are going to be tested on. The paperwork we received prior to attending didn't mention anything about a verbal reasoning test... I just don't think it's being done right.

In terms of the weighting, I wouldn't call it a weighting but I imagine they pick the guys they want based on their interview. However not meeting the minimum standards in any area will probably rule you out completely. I was told, by BA and OAA that they do have a minimum standard you MUST meet in some of the tests, what that is however, I don't know.

All at sea
23rd Mar 2015, 18:07
Just had my FTE assessment. Had the head girl from resourcing there basically doing checks on their interview processes. She informed us that out of 3000 applications, 700 have been invited to phase 2 and they're looking at 250 for waterside with a hope of gaining 100 FPP cadets. These are maximum numbers and if they don't get these numbers they wouldn't be lowering the criteria to make them up. Like previous years, if only 40 get to the required standard then 40 it is.

kirungi1
23rd Mar 2015, 18:31
...work through them until next year but it's a long time to wait.
Budding; with a busy work life, you will be surprised how sooner than later it turns out to be. Don't be too disheartened and as Funky111 says "There's no better practice than sitting the assessment itself!" They choose how they want it to be; Life isn't too fair sometimes ;)

All at sea; I hope you had a brilliant experience. Good luck!

FrankMatt
23rd Mar 2015, 19:04
Going to FTE a week today. Seems like people are complaining more about the FTE tests than the BA test?

Seems strange they would put a big emphasis in the interview on stuff which you learn (equations etc) rather than stuff you can't (mentail arithmetic, dealing with things under pressure).

As an engineer, equations don't worry me, but I will now go back and look to make sure something trivial does not catch me out.

A tip when you can't remember an equation - use dimensional analysis, if they ask for momentum for example and you know the units kg.m/s you can have a good guess that it's mass (kg) times velocity (m/s). If you don't even know the units.... Well you pretty much had it.

LandingConfig
23rd Mar 2015, 19:13
If you don't know the units then you haven't really prepared very well.

To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail :ok:

EZY_FR
23rd Mar 2015, 19:48
All at sea

How was your assessment?

funkyt111
23rd Mar 2015, 20:17
@Budding,

I'm not disagreeing with you. I understand exactly what your saying. I wasn't insinuating that you have not done any preparation, I was merely suggesting that those that dig around the internet for extra information also could be seen to be preparing well.

I have never been assessed by Oxford and only FTE and CTC and they have always provided me with adequate information to reasonably prepare myself. May I ask, why did you apply to Oxford this time if you have previous experience of applying to CTC? Was this because you thought Oxford was the right school for you or personal reasons (I don't mean to pry, I'm just curious)?

@FrankMatt,

Nobody has complained about FTE tests. Budding is referring to his assessment at Oxford. I don't know what kind of questions they ask at Oxford but knowing the formula for momentum or the use of SI units certainly is not a requirement for FTE or CTC.

@All at Sea

When you say the head girl, do you mean from BA or from FTE?

Capewell
23rd Mar 2015, 21:38
@Budding,

Don't you think you could have at least waited till everyone had gone through OAA this time round before giving everyone who is doing their assessment this week a heads up on what to expect?

Nice one...

Yes it was a shocker but the only hope is that everyone found it as hard. They seem to be new tests so the school might not yet have enough data to know how high to set the bar.

Budding
24th Mar 2015, 03:28
@Capewell, no not really, I don't think I've given away any prized information. I've simply reinforced that it's TOUGH and people need to do a lot of prep. If you think someone that was going to fail is now going to read that and pass I'm afraid I disagree.

I do think we should ALL be given a LOT more information not just the odd few that are lucky enough to have friends that have done it a few weeks prior. As I said, I've not given out any specifics, I've simply voiced my opinions and there is also plenty of similar information on here.

Good luck anyway.

All at sea
24th Mar 2015, 10:49
The assessment was fine. They made us feel really comfortable and relaxed. There were some really nice people doing it with me which made the team work exercise a lot easier to deal with. The girl I'm talking about was from BA but she wasn't 'officially' there. She was just moderating their interview techniques. It was most definitely an FTE day and she just had a little Q&A session with us at the end. Regardless of the outcome, I had a brilliant day. Good luck to all that have assessments coming up!

EZY_FR
24th Mar 2015, 10:55
all at sea

Glad to hear that you had a good day :) . How did you find the interview?

LandingConfig
24th Mar 2015, 11:24
@All at sea Thanks for sharing.

All at sea
24th Mar 2015, 12:28
The interview was fine. The interviewer was really friendly, lots of smiles and laughs. Standard interview questions. Obviously difficult to go into specifics, but remembering that these interviews are personality based and not technical based. The scheme is open to people that have never flown before so it's aimed at those type of people. Saying that, throwing in the odd bit of technical knowledge couldn't hurt. I had major nerves going to the assessment but they were completely unfounded.

1mag1n3
24th Mar 2015, 12:36
I would echo All At Sea's analysis, even though I did my assessments through OAA.

The day was well orchestrated and I enjoyed each aspect. The group ex and interview were both as expected really - nothing too unsettling.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to be assessed, and for those who have been assessed, enjoy the wait until we find out the news!

EZY_FR
24th Mar 2015, 14:04
All at sea, how long did the interview last? Really happy to hear that you enjoyed the day.

MarkSRFC
24th Mar 2015, 15:41
Those having assessments with FTE check your emails.

Those being assessed from the 7th - 13th April, the assessment will now be at Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow, not Lampton Park Conference Centre like those previous!

kirungi1
24th Mar 2015, 15:41
EZY FR; How is your preparation going this year?

EZY_FR
24th Mar 2015, 17:06
EZY FR; How is your preparation going this year?
I'm finding it challenging, although I've got the benefit of not having to do the FTE assessments. The interview is my biggest concern though, without question.

kirungi1
24th Mar 2015, 17:27
Good luck and hope you go all the way. It would be fantastic to read your feeds from Andalucia just like G-FORC3.

G-FORC3; How is the culture affecting your training thus far.

LandingConfig
24th Mar 2015, 17:35
One week to go for me. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, but what All at sea said has made it a little better.

The aptitude tests are worrying me the most I think, they're the most unpredictable. How difficult were they All at sea?Without going into detail of course.

kirungi1
24th Mar 2015, 17:42
Landingconfig; I think what you're experiencing is perfectly fine because it's nervousness with a lot of excitement but it wouldn't be helpful if it turned into an irrational fear sort of thing which would dent your confidence. Keep it in check!

G-F0RC3
24th Mar 2015, 18:45
G-FORCE3; How is the culture affecting your training thus far.

Spain is a lovely place to train. Of course, learning to fly involves a lot of hard work. But it's nice to get out and explore every once in a while too, absorbing some of the local culture in the process. One of the interesting things about Jerez is that (beyond the airport / FTE) hardly anyone in the area speaks much English. It can be tricky at times, but it's also a refreshing change from the typical holiday resorts many tourists associate Spain with. And the country is blessed with incredible natural beauty. It's well worth every effort to get out here! :ok:

All at sea
24th Mar 2015, 19:53
The interview lasted about an hour, and it was pretty quick fire. They stopped me talking when they had what they needed I guess.

The aptitude tests were fine. Actually quite enjoyable. Not sure how I did but I had fun doing it! They did go on a bit though.

kirungi1
24th Mar 2015, 20:33
And the country is blessed with incredible natural beauty.

I can only imagine and of course you get all this view from a vantage point :D "life is not always fair". "Why always me"

SPS1984
24th Mar 2015, 21:46
Hi there everyone,

I went to the FTE assessment day yesterday (I'm pretty sure I was in the same group as All at Sea above, in which case hi!). I just wanted to reiterate their comments - the day was very enjoyable and the FTE staff were very friendly, were great at putting everyone at ease and were very professional at getting everything done (while giving absolutely nothing away in their body language about how brilliantly or terribly you may be doing!).

It was a really fantastic and friendly group of people who were being assessed, who I'd say were all very high calibre - certainly I got the impression that everyone there was very deserving of the opportunity to be at this stage.

In terms of the tests and interviews, again I'd agree none of it is anything to be horrendously worried about - some bits are more challenging than others (it depends on your strengths of course!), but as long as you've put some preparation in beforehand and stay focused on the day itself, you'll probably come away from it relatively confident.

And now the delicious nervousness of checking my inbox begins! Just want to say the very best of luck to everyone, and hope to meet some of you at Waterside in a few weeks!

EZY_FR
25th Mar 2015, 07:33
Spain is a lovely place to train. Of course, learning to fly involves a lot of hard work. But it's nice to get out and explore every once in a while too, absorbing some of the local culture in the process. One of the interesting things about Jerez is that (beyond the airport / FTE) hardly anyone in the area speaks much English. It can be tricky at times, but it's also a refreshing change from the typical holiday resorts many tourists associate Spain with. And the country is blessed with incredible natural beauty. It's well worth every effort to get out here! :ok:
After visiting Jerez multiple times,I agree with everything you're saying. The scenery is stunning, the locals are friendly, the climate is amazing, the city centre is very vibrant, there's an awful lot to like about it. Definitely happy with my choice of FTOs. Wish I could go back now and spent more time with the guys at FTE, they are such a great bunch of people!

kirungi1
25th Mar 2015, 08:59
Wish I could go back now and spent more time with the guys at FTE, they are such a great bunch of people!

I'm glad there's so much more to FTE-Jerez than flying. The good thing is that you now have the opportunity in your hands to secure yourself a place so you could share more with us for an extended period of training at Jerez.

LandingConfig
25th Mar 2015, 11:22
Is there some sort of presentation about FTE or BA at the beginning of the assessment day or is it straight into the written tests?

kirungi1
25th Mar 2015, 12:45
Landingconfig; I would anticipate the former. Hopefully someone will leave their first hand experience.

ETflyer
25th Mar 2015, 16:15
FTE guys, how many candidates were there each day?

All at sea
25th Mar 2015, 16:35
There were 16 in total. 8 for the early session and 8 for the later one.

PPRuNeUser0207
26th Mar 2015, 16:45
Good luck to everybody in this assessment phase.

Would anybody like to shed some light on the BA maths exam and its level. Multiple choice?

LandingConfig
26th Mar 2015, 17:01
I have yet to do mine but I would expect it to be multiple choice. I would also imagine that it's nothing over the top, just basic arithmetic including the use of decimals, etc.

LandingConfig
26th Mar 2015, 17:56
Forgot to ask, anyone else over the 6' 3" limit?

JDA2012
26th Mar 2015, 18:11
Now settled in at my hotel at Oxford, so the waiting begins. It may be a long night, but I understand now the comments from last year about needing to want it so much you can taste it...

Worth bearing in mind that, especially as the accepted cadets seem typically to number less than the available places, the people with whom you are being assessed are your potential colleagues, not your competition. You should have nothing to fear from treating them as such. I hope to get through tomorrow, but in doing so I hope also to meet lifelong colleagues and friends.

To all those waiting for news-good luck. To all those yet to be assessed-good luck. To all those trying again next year-the best of luck, and never stop trying.

kirungi1
26th Mar 2015, 18:18
JDA2012; Thank you and good luck to you too.

LandingConfig
26th Mar 2015, 18:59
JDA - Good luck to you. Good point about the future colleagues. Maybe some of us in this thread will become colleagues one day :ok:

MaydayMaydayMayday
26th Mar 2015, 20:05
Forgot to ask, anyone else over the 6' 3" limit?

There have been people accepted who are over 6'3". It's a tight fit in a DA42, though, depending on your proportions! :}

EZY_FR
27th Mar 2015, 00:23
Good luck to those doing their assessments soon!

LandingConfig
27th Mar 2015, 00:49
There have been people accepted who are over 6'3". It's a tight fit in a DA42, though, depending on your proportions! :}

Is it a smaller interior than the PA28? I can fit in a PA28 and a 172 (front and back).

Getting in and out is the tricky part.

MaydayMaydayMayday
27th Mar 2015, 03:20
The DA42 has slightly less headroom than the PA28. The DA42 sim has marginally less than the aircraft (the canopy actually rested on top of my head, but wasn't a problem as the sim had no motion to bounce it around and bash my head off the canopy!). The DA42 seats don't move at all, only the pedals, so height can't be adjusted, but it's a very smooth ride. The PA28 is more prone to bump around in turbulence, although I only ever bumped my head while sitting in the back. In turbulence, it (PA28) was fine in the back while sitting at an angle. Never actually back-seated the DA42 as with full tanks on take off, it was difficult to plan to be within weight limits on landing, with me in the back and a full sized instructor and cadet in the front. That wouldn't have been an issue if you were up for a couple of hours, though, burning more fuel.

LandingConfig
27th Mar 2015, 10:02
They seemed to think it was more of a problem for the A320...

MaydayMaydayMayday
27th Mar 2015, 10:53
There's plenty of room in the A320 for me, anyway, and I'm just over 6'3". I think as long as you can get in and out safely, as well as reaching everything. The 737 is a tighter space than the A320 and there have been taller folk operating it.

kirungi1
27th Mar 2015, 18:36
Would someone share their latest assessment day experience at CTC,, please!

Fostex
28th Mar 2015, 10:51
Is anyone else waiting for more slots to open for the FTE/Lampton Pk assessment? I was sent a reminder email from BA that I need to book a slot soon but none are showing as available.

EZY_FR
28th Mar 2015, 12:32
I would call FTE as soon as possible. I'm sure I was told that the 13th was the last available date.

LandingConfig
28th Mar 2015, 13:14
Also, the last of the FTE assessments are being held at Hilton Garden Inn, which is right outside LHR.

Fostex
28th Mar 2015, 19:11
I was in contact with FTE several times last week asking when more slots would be released. I'll give them another shout on Monday!

All at sea
28th Mar 2015, 19:15
So after initially feeling fairly confident about the assessment I am now very doubtful I got through. This waiting game is going to be the end of me. Pass the tequila.

EZY_FR
29th Mar 2015, 00:23
Know the feeling all at sea, I definitely feel like I flunked through the interview and the BA maths test in particular. I'm very doubtful I've made it to stage 3, but it isn't over until the fat lady sings! At worst, it's good interview practice.

funkyt111
29th Mar 2015, 09:22
I wouldn't worry too much guys. It's normal to have doubts after an interview. Most people struggled with the BA maths test. It's not an easy test and therefore everyone will find it difficult.

SKY1hf
29th Mar 2015, 13:41
Hi, guys
I would like to know whether there will be any verbal reasoning test at CTC? I have heard from various people and not sure whether there will be one when doing the computer test. (From previous MPL assessment I did with CTC there wasn't one)

Also the Numeracy test you do, @EZY_FR stated that he did the 'BA maths', does it mean the standard Numeracy test for CTC is now changed in match with the FPP?

Thanks

EZY_FR
29th Mar 2015, 15:47
I did my assessment with FTE, so I cannot comment on the difficulty of CTC's tests.

PPRuNeUser0207
29th Mar 2015, 19:05
I did my assessment with FTE, so I cannot comment on the difficulty of CTC's tests.

What was the BA maths exam like?

EZY_FR
29th Mar 2015, 19:23
I can't give details of what it entails, since that would give everyone yet to do the assessment an advantage and BA wouldn't take too kindly to that. I personally found it tough. All I'll say is that make sure you're mental maths is good, make sure your upto scratch with GCSE maths.

funkyt111
29th Mar 2015, 19:30
@EZY_FR

The last part of what you just is giving other candidates a massive advantage....When you have attended the assessment yourself why would you want to give people an advantage to perform better than you??

PPRuNeUser0207
29th Mar 2015, 19:38
I meant is it done without a calculator and is it multiple choice

PPRuNeUser0207
29th Mar 2015, 21:25
Thank you, I was under the impression it would be.

EZY_FR
29th Mar 2015, 22:21
@EZY_FR

The last part of what you just is giving other candidates a massive advantage....When you have attended the assessment yourself why would you want to give people an advantage to perform better than you??
Yeah my bad, I've made the required changes. And to answer your question jumpseat, yes it is multiple choice.

1mag1n3
31st Mar 2015, 09:54
Has anyone heard from Oxford a more specific date than 'mid-April' to hear back?

DavHdd
1st Apr 2015, 06:24
Unfortunately no ... I guess we've just gotta keep wainting until the bell rings

nickbrazel
1st Apr 2015, 08:07
I spoke to Oxford last Monday and the lady said to expect an email within the next two weeks (from when I spoke to her) - how reliable that will be I don't know!

What did the other schools say to their candidates?

DavHdd
1st Apr 2015, 08:42
I think finding out when is the last day to take an assessment at CAE for stage 1 will tell us when to expect a feedback ... Everybody has to go through the selection before any FTO can start evaluating candidates'performances

JDA2012
1st Apr 2015, 09:00
I will refrain from commenting on specifics of the day I had at OAA (enjoyable and challenging once again; I am satisfied that I could not have done any more), but to cover off a few items:

- I believe that last Friday (March 27th) was the final OAA selection day. Certainly it was the latest day I could select, having already waited a few weeks to see if any later dates opened up. The booking page now shows no dates available, which seems to support this.

- (Remaining deliberately vague, those affected will know what I mean) A further task had to be conducted at home having completed the assessment day at OAA. I have received and completed that task, and would encourage everyone else to check their inbox/trash/spam/deleted items etc for it if they have not seen it. We were advised that our results would not be processed until this task was completed.

- We were asked to sign a document stating that we were available for the weeks commencing 20th and 27th April, as these were the Stage 2 dates. We will therefore have to be advised before the last of these dates, and were also explicitly told that we should hear in the next two weeks.

- It would appear that every candidate's results will need to be processed before Waterside invites can be sent out, as if sufficient candidates meet the required standard then only the top "N" (I believe "N" was 100 last year, but the assessment this year may differ) will go through; hence the interim mails sent to processed candidates already meeting the standard.

Continued good luck to all, great to meet those of you that I saw at OAA, hope soon to meet those of you that I didn't :ok:

FrankMatt
1st Apr 2015, 10:38
FTE's last day is the 13th April so I can't imagine we will find out before then. Does anyone know the number of people applying vs number of people accepted through to assessment?

LandingConfig
1st Apr 2015, 12:13
Had my FTE assessment yesterday, friendly staff and made us all feel very relaxed. Other candidates were a great bunch, would happily work alongside them as colleagues one day.

FrankMatt If you mean these assessments, I think it was 700. Only a max of 250 will go to Waterside.

kirungi1
1st Apr 2015, 13:37
JDA2012 and Landingconfig; Thank you and good luck :ok:

jimmo1224
6th Apr 2015, 15:06
Hi guys, do you know if the application portal will open again soon?

All at sea
7th Apr 2015, 08:08
Has anyone else received an email regarding the assessment being held at the Hilton? I've already had my assessment so my heart stopped when I saw an email from FTE. Wayyy too early in the day for that much excitement.

EZY_FR
7th Apr 2015, 09:27
I haven't received anything...The next stage of assessment will be held at Waterside, I'm sure of it.

EZY_FR
7th Apr 2015, 09:29
I'm guessing not until end of 2015 at the earliest.

LandingConfig
7th Apr 2015, 19:44
Has anyone else received an email regarding the assessment being held at the Hilton? I've already had my assessment so my heart stopped when I saw an email from FTE. Wayyy too early in the day for that much excitement.

I got an email weeks ago saying they would be at the Hilton from the 4th onwards. I did panic a bit too but I hadn't done my assessment at the time of receiving it.

Is that what yours was about?

LandingConfig
7th Apr 2015, 19:46

It won't be soon, I'd think it will be either end of the year like it used to be or early into 2016 like it was this year.

That's assuming it will open again next year...

All at sea
9th Apr 2015, 09:17
I got an email weeks ago saying they would be at the Hilton from the 4th onwards. I did panic a bit too but I hadn't done my assessment at the time of receiving it.

Is that what yours was about?

Yeah that was what it was about. I think I just panicked because I already had my assessment and thought that they had forgotten I'd done it or something. It's ok. I called BA resourcing and they said it was a mistake.

At this point in the game any email I recieve from FTE would put me into full panic mode!

1mag1n3
9th Apr 2015, 16:17
So the next stage of the process is from the 20th April for two weeks. Given how close this is, I am expecting we should hear any day now!

Best of luck everyone, fingers crossed.

nickbrazel
9th Apr 2015, 17:47
I spoke to OAA yesterday and they re-iterated that we would hear "mid-April" and wouldn't commit to a date - even when I mentioned that the dates for the next stage they gave were the two weeks commencing April 20th - only 11 days away!

The lady also disagreed with me that we are approaching "mid-April"!

MarkSRFC
9th Apr 2015, 18:59
FTE are doing assessments until April 13th, and it was said nobody would hear from them until the 14th at the very earliest! Agree it doesn't leave much time for those to get time of work, and like myself travelling from abroad re: flights, hotel etc.

BaronVonBarnstormer
9th Apr 2015, 19:00
Those of us who went to Jerez were told "after the 13th".

nickbrazel
9th Apr 2015, 19:19
Interesting! I wonder how many people have been assessed given my assessment at Oxford was on the 4th of March (2nd day for Oxford!)

LandingConfig
9th Apr 2015, 20:30
Yes, was also told after the 13th because it's the last assessment. Would be very surprised if it is the 14th. 15th is pretty early too.

It is not much time at all to get off work, I hope I can figure it out :\

1mag1n3
9th Apr 2015, 20:58
I'm in the same boat as some others here it seems! Getting time off work at such short notice won't be easy... That's if it is positive news of course! I guess BA have covered their own backs by getting us to sign that document/form saying that we would be available in the respective weeks for Stage 2 and Stage 3.

It's a shame there isn't more time in the process really - given the start dates for the course aren't until September this year... Maybe that's just me being critical though! From what others have said, we could be getting as little as 2 working days notice!

LandingConfig
9th Apr 2015, 22:17
The first start dates are likely to be July, as I was told (FTE). Candidates are given preference of course, you won't necessarily be expected to start in September. Start dates run right up until Sep 2016 - you could potentially start long after next year's new starts.

Leaving your job is one thing but another thing to consider is the time it takes to secure funding.

1mag1n3
10th Apr 2015, 15:12
For OAA it says on their website the following (for those interested);

Candidates who are interested in this programme must also be available to commence training between Autumn 2015 and Autumn 2016 as it will not be possible to defer a place on a training programme beyond this timeframe.

Sounds like it is different for FTE, though.

Edited:
The BA FPP website states the following;

When will training courses commence?
The courses are likely to run over a 12 month period, with the first course expected to start in Autumn 2015 and the last course expected to start in Autumn 2016.

Tommerhawk
10th Apr 2015, 15:18
Just received my invitation to Waterside! Absolutely ecstatic!

For those still waiting, I did my CTC assessment on 18th March and heard back today. That's only one day after CTC told us to start expecting a reply (9th April) so almost bang on time. I should therefore expect that everyone's replies are on their way!

Good luck to all, look forward to hopefully meeting you guys soon.

EZY_FR
10th Apr 2015, 16:54
Congratulations Tommerhawk!

JDA2012
10th Apr 2015, 16:58
Email received from BA whilst on the M6 - successful!

Hope to see some of you at Waterside!

P.S. Typing on my phone; apologies for the brevity...

Mr Jingles
10th Apr 2015, 18:54
Congrats to all those who got through and good luck to those still waiting.

Unfortunately, it was bad news for me.
Will learn from my mistakes and come back stronger.

EZY_FR
10th Apr 2015, 19:30
Great job JDA!

LandingConfig
10th Apr 2015, 19:59
Congrats JDA and Tommerhawk! :D

Still a few more days for me...

am59fly
11th Apr 2015, 10:04
Well done to all those going through !
Commiserations to those that didn't make it :(

Got the email yesterday, I'm heading to Waterside on the 28th. 0945-1200. Over the moon ! :)

Anyone else booked their date yet ?

PPRuNeUser0207
11th Apr 2015, 10:19
Congratulations chaps,

Still on the long wait...would you care to share what times are available for the slots. I'm travelling in the same day into Heathrow so it would allow me to start some kind of plan. (If I get an email). Thanks

am59fly
11th Apr 2015, 10:21
@ Jumpseat

When I booked mine, there was the 24th, 28th, 29th, 30th.

The times available on the 28th were 0945-1200 or 1300-1615 I believe.

I would assume the time slots are the same for each day.

PPRuNeUser0207
11th Apr 2015, 10:27
Thanks @am59fly I should be able to get same day flights into London, best of luck!

ManUtd1999
11th Apr 2015, 11:29
Seems like quite a short day at ~2 hrs :oh: Have they split the aptitude/maths tests and interview over two separate days this year as was suggested previously? For those lucky enough to make it to final selection, getting a minimum of 3 days off in the space of 2 months for interviews might be a bit of an issue.

SPS1984
11th Apr 2015, 12:32
Well done to those who've been given the thumbs up so far!

ManUtd1999 - that's right, they mentioned at my FTE interview that the BA assessment be split into one slot for the aptitude tests (from the week of the 20th April) and a final slot for the interview itself (from the week of the 4th May if I remember correctly).

Waiting game nearly over now - best of luck to those still waiting for the email!

JDA2012
11th Apr 2015, 12:40
Dates available are (as I understand it) split by FTO. As an OAA candidate, I was given the choice or a morning or afternoon session on either the 22nd or 23rd.

The email invite gives very complete information on what to expect, and also touches on (and confirms weeks for) the second assessment day at Waterside, but I would expect to receive more details on that should we progress that far.

Good luck to all of you still waiting for news - and I am genuinely so sorry for those who have had bad news already. I have been there, and it is not a happy place but it is (as Mr Jingles has already recognised) a good one from which to learn and a great platform to build upon for next year's application.

P.S. Anyone else from OAA with news, good or bad?

kirungi1
11th Apr 2015, 14:07
JDA2012 & others; Congrats and good luck at Waterside :ok:

UAA237
11th Apr 2015, 16:02
Congrats to all those who have made it this far and again chin up for those unlucky, don't give up on the dream!

I've been invited to Waterside and I'm trying to work out if it is the case that so long as you pass the tests on Stage 3 at BA, you automatically go through to Stage 4 or is there a 'chop' between the stages? The confirmation email and the BACareers website seem to say two different things? ( group presentations etc)

Any thoughts?

nickbrazel
11th Apr 2015, 19:05
I got a rejection from OAA - obviously upset but can't say i'm surprised! I feel that the group and interview stages went really well but it's been 11 years since i've done any trigonometry or even thought about Pythagoras so did really struggle with these elements (did a-levels in 2003!)

Only thing lingering in my mind was whether the outcome may have been different with a different school - i've read here that OAA's maths was comparably more difficult - the fact that the testing software stated "you should use a calculator for this test" and then being told that we weren't allowed seemed rather suspicious for me. As I said it's been a while since i've done that kind of maths but should we really have been expected to do trig without a calculator?!

The other thing i'm mildly annoyed about is the lack of communication from OAA. My assessment was on March 3rd and it has been such an agonising wait. Would it have been hard to send an email just re-affirming when to expect to hear? The people on the phone are vastly unhelpful and in the most recent conversation I had with them they were downright rude. I think the process needs to realise that people have lives and jobs and short notice might not be acceptable or workable to some.

Oh well...back to my medical career!

LandingConfig
11th Apr 2015, 22:49
I've been invited to Waterside and I'm trying to work out if it is the case that so long as you pass the tests on Stage 3 at BA, you automatically go through to Stage 4 or is there a 'chop' between the stages? The confirmation email and the BACareers website seem to say two different things? ( group presentations etc)

Any thoughts?

I think you get a go at both as of this year.

Congrats on the invite.

kirungi1
12th Apr 2015, 13:23
The people on the phone are vastly unhelpful and in the most recent conversation I had with them they were downright rude.
Nickbrazel; Commiserations but this bit ^^^ is customer service lost in between yet they w/could demand otherwise. :ouch:

LandingConfig
13th Apr 2015, 22:16
Last FTE assessment today, best of luck to all FTE applicants anxiously awaiting their result, likely to arrive in the next few days...

Mlea3436
14th Apr 2015, 12:01
Congrats to all who have been invited to waterside!

Has anyone heard from Jerez yet?

SpeedBird92
15th Apr 2015, 09:44
Have just heard back from FTE, unsuccessful this time unfortunately. Fingers crossed for next time! Good luck to the rest of you! :)

Mlea3436
15th Apr 2015, 09:49
Just heard, Im off to waterside!

funkyt111
15th Apr 2015, 09:51
Invites are going out for FTE. Congratulations to those who have made it this far. Commiserations to those who have not. From looking at the booking system it looks as though there are 10 slots a day over 5 days? Or is it 20?

EZY_FR
15th Apr 2015, 10:03
I've just received the good news from BA!!

JDA2012
15th Apr 2015, 10:07
Excellent EZY_FR - knew you would make it!

Good luck to everyone else :ok:

dreambig24
15th Apr 2015, 10:15
..and I've just recieved the bad news! I'll be practicing my BA mental maths for next year and try and learn the difference between squares and circles and learn my left from my right haha.

All the best for everyone else and good luck at waterside! It was nice meeting those of you on the last FTE assessment.

BaronVonBarnstormer
15th Apr 2015, 10:23
Anyone else for May 1st at Waterside?

Its starting to get a bit more real now :eek:

kirungi1
15th Apr 2015, 10:24
From looking at the booking system it looks as though there are 10 slots a day over 5 days? Or is it 20?

Funky111; There is only one way you would have looked at that booking system :ok: congrats & good luck!

EZY FR; nice one and well done.

pjh2015
15th Apr 2015, 10:30
Damn didn't make it this time... will improve and give it a 2nd try when it re-opens!

Best of luck to all heading to Waterside! :D

kirungi1
15th Apr 2015, 10:32
Dreambig24 & pjh2015; commiserations but what an experience! Better luck next time.

ManUtd1999
15th Apr 2015, 10:38
I got the good news too, bit of a surprise as I didn't feel the assessment went all that well but I'll take it.

funkyt111
15th Apr 2015, 10:38
[quote] Quote:
From looking at the booking system it looks as though there are 10 slots a day over 5 days? Or is it 20?
Funky111; There is only one way you would have looked at that booking system :ok: congrats & good luck![/quote

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. I looked on the 27th and there were only slots in the morning. The 28th (which is the day I'm booked in for) was only afternoon slots. So what I am asking is did anyone have the option to book an afternoon slot on the 27th or morning slot on the 28th as I didn't have that option?

PPRuNeUser0207
15th Apr 2015, 10:39
Emails are gone! All the best to those who got through!

LandingConfig
15th Apr 2015, 10:51
Bad news for me, absolutely gutted.

Well done to all those who were successful.

EZY_FR
15th Apr 2015, 11:08
Anyone else for May 1st at Waterside?

Its starting to get a bit more real now :eek:
I am! Are you on the morning or afternoon slot?

BaronVonBarnstormer
15th Apr 2015, 11:19
Afternoon. See you there.

JDA2012
15th Apr 2015, 11:33
funkyt111: Congratulations - will this be your third year at Waterside? Fingers crossed for you, sure you'll nail it this time around. Back on page 149 am59fly was saying that he (as a CTC candidate) was offered morning or afternoon on 28th, so perhaps that is a shared day with all the morning slots having already been taken?

BaronVonBarnstormer: Also congratulations! It certainly is getting real - many aspects of my life are now holding pending the outcome!

LandingConfig/SpeedBird92/dreambig24/pjh2015: Oh no! I am sorry (and have been there) - but don't feel too bad about it, and use this as an opportunity to reflect on your performance and improve things for next year. You will have a massive advantage having already been through assessment once; there is no better preparation. This thread is also full of great advice - it takes a while to read the whole thing but it's a worthwhile exercise. Page 134 in particular has recent thoughts from myself and a few others around this subject.

Mlea3436/ManUtd1999: Well done and good luck!

On a more general note, has anyone had the opportunity to select an assessment on 20th or 21st? From the information posted here (which may well be incomplete!), the dates seem to be allocated as follows:

20th ?
21st ?
22nd OAA
23rd OAA
24th CTC

27th FTE
28th FTE+CTC
29th FTE+CTC
30th FTE+CTC
1st FTE

All at sea
15th Apr 2015, 11:46
Just got the good news! Off to waterside on the 27th! So happy!

ManUtd1999
15th Apr 2015, 11:54
The 30th was available for FTE when I had a look. Is it definitely even split by FTO?

JDA2012
15th Apr 2015, 12:02
That was my understanding based on the available information - but to get a complete picture on this requires some co-operation as we can each see only the dates for our own FTO at the time of booking.

Thanks for the additional info; it is looking like the FTE & CTC dates overlap quite a bit. I was hoping to be able to meet some of you but the OAA dates appear isolated at present.

kirungi1
15th Apr 2015, 12:09
All at sea; congrats and well done :ok:

funkyt111
15th Apr 2015, 12:33
@JDA2012

Thank you. Congratulations to you too! FTE was definitely available from the 27th until the 1st of May.

SpeedBird92
15th Apr 2015, 12:35
For those who have been unsuccessful, do we get any feedback at all? thanks!

1mag1n3
15th Apr 2015, 13:27
We were explicitly told by OAA that no feedback is provided.

Unfortunately I got the bad news on Friday. I do feel that Ill be able to give it a really good shot next year, though.

Steveooo516
15th Apr 2015, 14:32
The afternoon of the 30th of April with FTE here!

If anyone else is for the same slot please do feel free to PM me, likewise It'd be great to know how those of you I met at FTE on the 26th last month got on!

kirungi1
15th Apr 2015, 14:43
Unfortunately I got the bad news on Friday. I do feel that Ill be able to give it a really good shot next year, though.
1mag1n3; Commiserations plus fantastic attitude, good luck next time.

BaronVonBarnstormer
15th Apr 2015, 14:45
The afternoon of the 30th of April with FTE here!

If anyone else is for the same slot please do feel free to PM me, likewise It'd be great to know how those of you I met at FTE on the 26th last month got on!

Well it was a good day for me :ok:

All at sea
15th Apr 2015, 15:48
Congrats to all that have gotten through to the next stage! And for those that didn't, it's amazing to see how positive you are about next year.
Any of you going for the 27th in the morning?

MarkSRFC
15th Apr 2015, 16:15
Bad news from FTE here. First time getting to this stage of a program so I'll take all the experience gained, work harder and give it another go!

Best of luck to everyone who got through.

EZY_FR
15th Apr 2015, 16:48
Well done to all those who got through! Commiserations to those that didn't make it, remember BA must have liked you if you were able to get to this point!

rstra
15th Apr 2015, 20:23
Got an unsuccessful from FTE today too, obviously gutted but still chuffed to have made it to the assessment day. For as tough as it was, it was still good fun and was great to meet fellow candidates on Monday. I feel even more motivated to apply if and when the programme opens next year! Congratulations to everyone who made it through to the next stage, looking forward to following your progress. All the very best of luck!

EZY_FR
15th Apr 2015, 22:58
Sorry to hear that rstra, I really am. I felt the time at FTE really was invaluable for any airline scheme, let alone the FPP, so keep your chin up!

Does anyone have an idea as to how many people have been invited to this stage? I know we were told 250 at FTE, but the number of slots available for each day seems to suggest otherwise.

BaronVonBarnstormer
16th Apr 2015, 13:53
Has anyone got any more information on the "Two computer based capacity tests"? I have had a good trawl through this thread and haven't come across anything conclusive.

EZY_FR
16th Apr 2015, 14:25
They will just be aptitude tests that will test your mental capacity. I don't have any idea what the tests involve, but I imagine one of them will involve some kind of multitasking.

EZY_FR
18th Apr 2015, 20:43
Hey guys. I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but does anyone here have an idea how BA will send out invites to those successful at the Waterside assessments? I highly doubt they will wait until everyone has completed their assessments, since the interviews start the first Monday after the last day of assessments.

Tommerhawk
18th Apr 2015, 22:02
Agreed EZY_FR. I suspect that the assessments will be a simple pass or fail, meaning they could potentially let us know the following day. CTC did this after our FTO assessment. We were told the next day whether or not we'd met an initial standard, the further three week or so wait was to see if we'd been called forward to Waterside (presumably based primarily on our interview performance).

If this were the case however, the earlier slots would of course gain an unfair advantage with regards to preparation time for the interview... so who knows!

LandingConfig
19th Apr 2015, 19:44
Have any other unsuccessful candidates tried asking for feedback? FTE in particular. I wouldn't expect it from any FTO, but was just wondering.

SpeedBird92
20th Apr 2015, 13:11
Hi LandingConfig (http://www.pprune.org/members/443734-landingconfig)
Spoke to FTE today and was told they will be giving feedback after the Waterside assessment days, if I understand correctly, both to those who didn't make it to Waterside stage and those unsuccessful at Waterside stage.
However I'd recommend emailing them to say you're interested in receiving feedback and so that they can put you on the 'send feedback list'.

Hope this helps :)

LandingConfig
20th Apr 2015, 14:08
Already emailed them, thanks for the info.

EZY_FR
21st Apr 2015, 17:42
Good luck to all those doing the assessments at Waterside tomorrow!

funkyt111
22nd Apr 2015, 08:14
Best of luck guys.

@EZY,

I've tried on several occasions to respond to your messages but every time I do I get a message saying that you don't allow messages to be sent to you.

EZY_FR
22nd Apr 2015, 10:17
I've just checked my settings and have unchecked the option that didn't allow others to send messages. I don't know how that happened in the first place :confused:

LandingConfig
22nd Apr 2015, 12:13
Yeah, forgot to mention that, you weren't being ignored ;)

EZY_FR
22nd Apr 2015, 14:43
Funky, were you able to send me your PMs?

JDA2012
22nd Apr 2015, 17:56
Once again I find myself sitting in a hotel room feeling nervous - tomorrow is the big day! There are only so many times you can go through your paperwork, clothes etc. to make sure everything is in order...considering spending the evening soaking up the atmosphere in T5, but I suppose I should get some rest.

I am hoping to bump into some familiar faces at Waterside tomorrow, and I wish everyone that has an assessment coming up well. Every one of us has done very well just to get to this stage; we just need to keep our eyes on the ball a little longer :ok:

EZY_FR: I was able to PM you with no problems on the 16th, so any problem seems to have occurred since then - strange! Hopefully you've not missed too much.

wiggy
22nd Apr 2015, 18:10
considering spending the evening soaking up the atmosphere in T5,

:\ :\ ..Blimey, now that is desperate.

Best of luck for tomorrow..........

All at sea
22nd Apr 2015, 19:33
Hi all

Lots of luck to those doing their assessments today and tomorrow. I've got mine on Monday and luck would have it, a chest infection has crept up on me. Thank you 777 aircon!

I've had a quick scan through the forum and noted that the DEPs get 2 capacity tests, do you think they would be the same as ours?

A google search for capacity tests brings me to the General Medical Councils website for mental capacity testing...not too sure how I would lie on that scale! :8

Hope everyone is well!

EZY_FR
23rd Apr 2015, 10:14
For those that have done the assessment already, how did it go?

JDA2012
23rd Apr 2015, 17:00
So, I was assessed today...I can't really share any secrets as it would be unfair on other candidates who have already attended, as well as somewhat undermining the process, however I can give some general info to make things a little easier on those yet to go:

- I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express T5 last night. It has good transport links and is a very nice hotel for an Express (fridge in the room and two restaurants downstairs) and was £82 for the night - there may be cheaper options but I'm working on my loyalty status for a trip later in the year...

- From the HIE you can take Hotel Hoppa bus H55 from directly outside to T5 bus stop 22 for a £4 single ticket. This takes around 15-20 mins to T5, slightly longer if the traffic is bad.

- From T5, I then took bus BA5 direct to Waterside, using the letter provided. Note that this bus and the BA1 both now depart from bus stop 20, not 21 as indicated in the material from BA (not that it's a long walk between the two). It is a very quick trip to Waterside, maybe 5-10 mins.

- Signing in at Waterside is done at the front desk, on your left as you go in. They will give you a pass and PIN which grants you access to the Recruitment Centre, also on the left.

- Multiple assessments may be ongoing when you arrive - I was somewhat taken aback by the number of candidates in the RC, but it turned out that the majority were there for BA Cargo and Cabin Crew assessments.

- Only ten FPP candidates were in our slot, which we'd already deduced from the booking system. One was someone I'd met at my OAA day and pegged as a potential successful candidate; the others were new to me (but all also from OAA). Everyone I spoke to had an interesting story to tell, all knew their stuff with regard to BA and the industry and all were without a doubt deserving of a place on the programme.

- So, the assessments - no comment. Use the BA email as sole reference for the tests, it is not my intention to add or imply anything on top of the content of that email.

- Personal thoughts on my performance: I was happy with most of the tests which are described in the BA mail, and in fact apart from one test I was quite confident, but feel that I let myself down on a particular one. We shall see what news awaits!

- I heard that at least one other candidate got a substantially better score than I did on my "problem" test, and hope that I did enough in other areas to cover for any poor performance here. So begins the waiting - we were told 7-10 days for news, which seems fair as other FTOs are yet to have their assessments.

Once again, good luck to you all - not long to go now until it's all done and we know one way or the other :ok:

Capewell
23rd Apr 2015, 17:47
I shelled out £25 to park in the short stay car park at T5 but another guy used the free parking at Cranebank and used the staff bus to get to Waterside.

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that one :ugh:

Best of luck to everyone...

EZY_FR
23rd Apr 2015, 18:14
Thank you for this JDA, sounds like a challenging day that's in store for all of us! Best of luck!

BaronVonBarnstormer
24th Apr 2015, 08:14
For those in the know; is the "flight director + 2 things" test on latestpilotjobs.com a fair representation of what I can expect at waterside?

kirungi1
24th Apr 2015, 08:50
JDA2012 & ScottC95; I appreciate the extend you've gone sharing your experiences but I'm sure BA understands why they decide to throw that test at a certain stage of the assessment day. So, I wouldn't discussed the management of the assessment day because quite frankly if one manages the day well (fair balance) they have an advantage, so no secrets! :}

ScottC95
24th Apr 2015, 10:01
I completely agree and I have now removed my reply as it could give an advantage to others, even if it may be small. Thanks for the reply.

kirungi1
24th Apr 2015, 10:40
ScottC95; Our mentors will argue that it's your job until the next landing and I can now see why :rolleyes:

Ryan93
24th Apr 2015, 10:40
JDA2012 - I'm slightly confused by your post, are you saying that there's some other mystery tests in addition to the tests described in the BA invite email, or are you just calling them mystery tests so as not to give anything away?

da0092
24th Apr 2015, 10:47
Can people please stop asking questions about the assessment at waterside, it's entirely unfair to ask anything about the day from those who have already been.

Even if it isn't knowing the specifics of tests, asking questions to put yourself at ease and feel more prepared for the format/setting could still give you an advantage over those who were going into it on days one and two.

Those who attended first are not guinea pigs to make the rest of us feel more comfortable with our impending assessment.

Ryan93
24th Apr 2015, 11:06
da0092

People are being very fair in not giving away secrets or hints to people, the only hints that there have been so far are which bus to catch etc.

Nothing has been given away that could make any of us more prepared or more at ease, I wouldn't worry about people considering themselves as guinea pigs - people know what they're doing.

da0092
24th Apr 2015, 11:29
Ryan93,

I'm aware that people aren't giving anything away, but it's frustrating seeing people even asking the questions.

I would say that asking for guidance on whether certain online testing software is representative of what to expect, and whether additional tests to those suggested in the email should be expected, is more than knowing which bus to catch.

BaronVonBarnstormer
24th Apr 2015, 12:22
I'm aware that people aren't giving anything away, but it's frustrating seeing people even asking the questions.

I would say that asking for guidance on whether certain online testing software is representative of what to expect, and whether additional tests to those suggested in the email should be expected, is more than knowing which bus to catch.

I assume you're referring to my earlier question about the website. Others have asked similar questions on the DEP thread so I don't see a problem in simply asking here.

If people want to answer, great. If people don't that's fine.

If you don't like it go and complain to the moderators instead of having a moan.

funkyt111
24th Apr 2015, 12:59
@Baron,

I have to say that I agree with da0092. The DEP scheme is not competitive like the FPP. If your good enough then you'll end up in the hold pool. There are 100 places up for grabs on the FPP. Giving information to another candidate about what to expect at the assessment will disadvantage other candidates. Not only have you basically told every candidate that reads pprune about one of the aptitude tests but you've also suggested a website where you can practice and you've not even attended yet...

da0092
24th Apr 2015, 13:00
Baron, the lack of answers you've received to your question implies that others agree with my stance that it wouldn't be fair to disclose that kind of information, and presumably everybody on the DEP forum agreed since you've taken the question from there and asked it on here.

So hopefully other users will read these last few posts and have a good idea of what type of questions are and aren't likely to get answered regarding the Waterside assessment. :)

There are plenty of reasons that somebody COULD decide to answer your question, including sheer naivety, so I would have thought the best way to avoid some people getting an unfair advantage over others would be to not ask the question in the first place. If I'm being accused of moaning for wanting all candidates to have an equal chance of progressing based on the information they have available to them before their assessment, then I'm guilty.

Good luck to all those who have an assessment coming up!

BaronVonBarnstormer
24th Apr 2015, 13:20
I have to say that I agree with da0092. The DEP scheme is not competitive like the FPP. If your good enough then you'll end up in the hold pool. There are 100 places up for grabs on the FPP. Giving information to another candidate about what to expect at the assessment will disadvantage other candidates. Not only have you basically told every candidate that reads pprune about one of the aptitude tests but you've also suggested a website where you can practice and you've not even attended yet...

Anyone with working fingers and google can type in "Pilot" and "Aptitude test" and get to that site. I'd be surprised if 99% of the people reading this haven't already done so.

The only information I have at the moment is exactly the same as what everyone else has at this stage and only way I can get any advantage over anyone else is to prepare, prepare and then maybe do some more preparing.

To be honest i'm not actually worried about any of the other candidates at this stage, all I and everyone else can do is go in there and give it my best possible performance and hopefully that will be enough.

Now this isn't going to descend into one of those fruitless squabbles that takes up valuable forum space so I will go back and remove the posts and consider the hatchet buried.

EZY_FR
24th Apr 2015, 13:57
Guys, I think you all need to calm down a bit. First of all, NOBODY has given anything away that can be seen as an advantage. Nobody has given details of these mystery tests and what is involved with the NR and VR.

G-F0RC3
24th Apr 2015, 15:00
The DEP scheme is not competitive like the FPP. If your good enough then you'll end up in the hold pool. There are 100 places up for grabs on the FPP. Giving information to another candidate about what to expect at the assessment will disadvantage other candidates.

This is debatable in my opinion. Inevitably there are a limited number of places on the DEP as well (BA have recruitment targets they are trying to meet, after all). And in previous FPPs they haven't taken the originally quoted number anyway, which - to me - implies that if you meet the standard in the FPP then you'll make it. In addition, 100 places is more than on previous intakes as well, furthering your chances of success this year. So I think the best approach is to see the other candidates as potential future colleagues, rather than competitors trying to derail your own chances.

Good luck to everyone at Waterside. :)

EZY_FR
24th Apr 2015, 15:24
G-FORC3 is correct. I was told by a BA pilot that you are going against the high standards they set at waterside, NOT against each other. There is a reason why they haven't taken on their desired quota in all the FPP intakes so far. The chances are that will happen this year as well.

All at sea
24th Apr 2015, 16:13
Well said guys. I think there's a lot of scaremongering going on. Yes it's hard and yes it's competitive but at the end of the day if we do become colleagues we need to work together and maybe not be so suspicious of each other. If you have the standard then you'll be fine. If not, these tests are designed to determine true aptitude and not 'practiced' aptitude and you won't be successful or you won't complete the course. Let's all just wish our best to our fellow candidates :) I for one hope we all do amazingly and look forward to seeing you guys around T5 or personally, Gatwick! :}

claudiaupear
24th Apr 2015, 17:01
Anyone going on the 29th morning session? Best of luck to those who have been already and the same to those of us yet to go.

am59fly
25th Apr 2015, 16:59
I do agree with what has been said RE giving details away, however...

I was wondering if someone could maybe tell us how many questions are in the verbal/numerical reasoning tests, and how long we are given to solve them.

If people feel that answering this would give an unfair advantage that's ok, although I feel it is a fair question to ask.

Thanks anyway, and good luck all round ! :)

All at sea
26th Apr 2015, 17:37
Anyone at waterside tomorrow morning? Nerves plus being ill is going to make this a very unpleasant experience. Any more lemsip and I may not make it tomorrow. :sad:

EZY_FR
26th Apr 2015, 22:27
Best of luck mate! Hope your illness subsides enough for you to give it your all!

JDA2012
27th Apr 2015, 21:39
Interview invitation received this evening, following my assessment on last Thursday (23rd) afternoon; interview swiftly booked in for next Thursday (7th). I suppose I must have done well enough after all then :cool:.

I hope that this brings some relief to others who may be worrying over their own performance; I wasn't at all happy with mine but it seems to have been sufficient. Not sure if I am now more or less nervous - crunch time looms!

Good luck to those still being assessed and to those waiting to hear from BA - once again, hoping to see you there (at Waterside or on the flight deck :ok:).

EZY_FR
27th Apr 2015, 22:23
You know my view already JDA, but massive congratulations! Just need to nail that final interview and the dream will start looking VERY real!

am59fly
28th Apr 2015, 14:29
Great news JDA, congratulations !! :D

I've just been assessed today and am a bit disappointed with my performance in the numerical reasoning. Fingers crossed though I'll have a shot at an interview !

surfkernow
28th Apr 2015, 20:19
Congratulations JDA!
Which assessment day were you?

tomc12
29th Apr 2015, 10:56
Has anyone else received any news good or bad? This waiting game is absolutely killing me. :ugh:

All at sea
29th Apr 2015, 11:42
Well that's me out for another year! Good luck to everyone still in the game!

EZY_FR
29th Apr 2015, 13:35
Really surprised and sorry to hear that All at Sea. Keep your chin up!

SPS1984
29th Apr 2015, 17:26
Hi everyone!

First of all, the very best of luck to everyone still in the running!

Just a quick one to those who didn't get through the FTE assessment day (which unfortunately includes me this time!). They've been kind enough to send in quite detailed and personal feedback about the interview, so check your email and hopefully you'll have something either now or within the next few days.

Personally it's been very encouraging news to read - apparently everything was excellent except the group assessment (I must have talked too much, haha!), so definitely happy that I'm barking up the right tree! Hope that others here in the same situation get similarly good feedback despite the disappointment this time around.

All the best, see you in the air!

champair79
29th Apr 2015, 18:16
I'm through. Interview booked for the 8th. My 3rd attempt. Need to nail it this time! :ok:

UAA237
29th Apr 2015, 18:54
Massive congrats to you for getting through. I'm still patiently waiting, my heart is beating through my chest every time I think about it. Trying not to get my hopes up but I thought the day went really well and was relatively straight forward.

rstra
29th Apr 2015, 21:32
Big congrats to everyone who's been successful so far, it's great to read your progress and thoughts on the assessments. Good luck with the interview!

SPS1984, I also was unsuccessful with FTE, it's great to hear that they're actually giving out some feedback. Had you emailed them beforehand asking if this could be provided?

LandingConfig
30th Apr 2015, 12:05
rstra, I emailed them personally a few weeks back and they got back to me within days with some detailed feedback. Unfortunately my day did not go as well as I'd thought.

SPS1984
30th Apr 2015, 17:46
Hi there rstra,

No, I hadn't got in touch with them at all (I was going to give it a few weeks and then ask, but they got in first). It's probably worth asking if you don't get anything soon though.

Hope you get some encouraging feedback. Cheers, good luck with future applications!

Tommerhawk
30th Apr 2015, 20:56
Commiserations to all those who have been unsuccessful so far. An encouraging read in the following link, more or less confirming a re-opening of the FPP window in early 2016, albeit possibly for the last time! :{ Now would be a good time to reflect on the good and the bad of your experience this time round, ready to smash it next year!

WizzAir announces cadet programme to aspiring pilots at LHR | Pilot Career News (http://www.pilotcareernews.com/wizzair-announces-cadet-programme-to-aspiring-pilots-at-lhr-careers-event/)

I received my invite to interview earlier today after only completing my first Waterside assessment day yesterday - ecstatic with the news of course! However very surprised considering we were told to expect a wait of 5-7 days for news. Looking forward to meeting some of you in the following weeks and years hopefully!

ManUtd1999
30th Apr 2015, 21:33
Congrats everyone who's got through :ok:

I was lucky enough to get an interview as well. Not many dates available when I went on the site earlier though so book your slots quickly

UAA237
30th Apr 2015, 22:49
Bad news for me unfortunately- thought I did well ! . Back to flying on the Queens pay for another year!

EZY_FR
1st May 2015, 18:50
Anyone not hear back yet? I'm thinking that if you haven't heard by now, it's likely to be a no :(

claudiaupear
1st May 2015, 19:09
I've just heard, I was assessed on Wednesday. Good news for me. Hope some of the others get through, some really great people there.

Best of luck if you are still waiting.

rstra
1st May 2015, 20:29
Thanks for the info! I did have feedback, wasn't until I looked in my junk that I found it! Turns out what I thought were my bad bits actually went pretty well! Likewise the group discussion let me down. Very very chuffed to have gotten feedback as it wasn't expected, motivates me further and points in the right direction for improvement!

LandingConfig sorry to hear that! Keep your chin up!

To those still waiting to hear back from Waterside, good luck...finger crossed for you :)

BaronVonBarnstormer
1st May 2015, 22:16
Anyone not hear back yet? I'm thinking that if you haven't heard by now, it's likely to be a no

Bear in mind that us in last group finished at 4:30 on a Friday. I reckon everyone will know the outcome of stage 3 by Wednesday. No news is good news :ok:

EZY_FR
2nd May 2015, 07:24
Just got the no from BA... :(

ScottC95
2nd May 2015, 11:49
Sorry to hear that EZY! If you're not on your third try, the post above shows it will may opening next year so keep your chin up!

EZY_FR
2nd May 2015, 14:45
Thankfully I'm not, but I think they will take on less the next time it runs, so I reckon it'll be even more difficult the next time.

ManUtd1999
2nd May 2015, 16:26
Not necessarily EZY_FR. In the past they haven't recruited as many as they said originally, in which case you're just competing against a standard, not other candidates. On the subject of statistics, does anyone have any idea how many made it to final interview?

Hopefully there will be further opportunities past 2016, it'd be a shame if next year is indeed the last run as it's probably one of the only realistic ways into aviation for some people (myself included) atm. If BA are happy with the standard of cadets coming through and continue to require pilots (which they seem to), I don't see any reason why a similar scheme won't continue to run at regular intervals.

EZY_FR
2nd May 2015, 16:47
According to a friend, 108 slots were available, but whether 108 were actually brought forward or not I don't know.

LandingConfig
2nd May 2015, 18:09
If you're not on your third try

Don't we get four attempts?

EZY_FR
2nd May 2015, 18:36
No, everyone gets three.

BaronVonBarnstormer
3rd May 2015, 09:44
Looks like I'm going to have to try again next year too. Well done to those who got through. Knowing that we were in the top 250 is a sliver of silver lining.

Baron

EZY_FR
3rd May 2015, 13:26
We were one of the last 160 mate. Keep your chin up, we now know what most of the process involves so, if we can work on our weaknesses, we should be in a strong position next year.