PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Future Pilot Programme.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Libertine Winno
3rd Nov 2013, 16:31
I agree with irishoperator.

Whether or not the salary is good/bad/indifferent in comparison to the going rate in the South East, or vs what you can earn as flexicrew or even vs a regular graduate scheme is somewhat missing the point in my opinion.

The fact is that BA will guarantee your loan, repay the entire bond over 7 years including your type rating and offer you a permanent contract at the national airline.

Compare this to funding your own training with CTC/OAA/FTE, probably having to find even more for a type rating if you're lucky enough to be offered employment via flexicrew or something similar and STILL not being certain of permanent employment, and it becomes apparent that this is by far and away the best cadet scheme out there.

I of course understand that people will need to figure out the numbers etc when they are employed i.e. rent/mortgage, bills, food etc but the worst case will see you with a couple of years of 'pain' before security

Wirbelsturm
3rd Nov 2013, 16:57
For those of you who are concerned about the living costs in the South East there is some good news.

Firstly there are a lot of good house schemes advertised on the BA company notice board in the CRC in T5. These are like minded people sharing the cost of living in the South East.

Secondly, with the M25, M3 and M4 all within 5 minutes reach of T5, even on SH, there is opportunity to live outside of the SE sphere of expense and commute to work. BA 'recommend' you live within 2 hours but you don't have to if you don't mind the drive.

Also lots of FO's on T'Bus commute from abroad. It's all possible.

Anyhoo, you'll be away on your 5/6 day block trips so don't be too concerned, the hotels are nice (even if you only stay in them for 10-12 hours!!! :E ).

GeorgEGNT
3rd Nov 2013, 17:12
Fair point guys.

I still don't see what the problem is about considering the wage you're going to be on before applying.

I hadn't considered the house share etc.

I'm not denying the fact that its a good deal. I was more interested in peoples reactions to other posters considering their financial security before applying rather than the figure itself.

Problem is I've heard a very low figure and I've heard a very reasonable figure. Both would result in very different quality of life for the person.

Nelson15
3rd Nov 2013, 17:17
What figures have you heard?

GeorgEGNT
3rd Nov 2013, 17:32
My point isn't regarding the figure itself. The salaries I have heard are listed on this thread.

My point is that there isn't a reliable figure listed so it's difficult to see how much you could end up living off upon completion of training.

Just to reiterate, I am not complaining about the salary itself. I am complaining about people being so surprised that posters are considering the salary before applying.

average-punter
3rd Nov 2013, 20:01
The final selection day at Waterside includes a detailed presentation about renumeration.

Captain_Bolt
3rd Nov 2013, 20:32
Hi All,

I can see quite a passionate discussion about salary already!

I had just a quick question regarding FTO selection (I am specifically interested in CTC)

When are they likely to commence second round selection? I.e. selection centre with numeracy tests etc.

MaydayMaydayMayday
3rd Nov 2013, 22:53
Captain Bolt, if you scroll back about 50 pages in this thread you can follow how it progressed last year. (around post #320 onwards)

Straighten Up
4th Nov 2013, 01:48
Squird

For a couple of reasons I won't be applying this year. I went with OAA last year and thought the set up there was good. I also went to the CTC presentation but NZ for 9 months wasn't for me. I would probably go with the same again if I was applying purely from the point of feeling a tiny bit more comfortable with the set up on the assessment days.

Best of luck.

robinjfisher
4th Nov 2013, 07:42
Hi all,

A few questions to which I couldn't find an answer (still deciding on FTO):

1) The BA FAQs state that no tattoos should be visible and specifically notes tattoos on necks and forearms. I have a tattoo on my forearm which is not visible with long sleeve shirts - would this be an issue? I can stretch without the shirt sleeve riding up so it remains non-visible.

2) Are there any issues in not living in the provided accommodation. The only real way I can do this is by moving house to be closer to the FTO which will reduce the mortgage and free up equity.

3) Has anybody taken family with them to Arizona/New Zealand/Jerez? Can anyone foresee issues with this. I would envisage renting the house in the UK to fund accommodation overseas.

Libertine Winno
4th Nov 2013, 08:47
In fairness GeorgEGNT, I think you're absolutely right that people should be well aware of all the financial aspects of the scheme, including the remuneration should you be sucessful.

However, my point is that once people have made themselves fully aware of these details, the ONLY conclusion that they can come to is that the scheme is an incredible opportunity and is the only scheme of its type currently out there which removes all financial criteria regarding securing loans against parents property etc from the equation, meaning that cadets are all on a level playing field from the outset and not disadvantaged through lack of financial security.

naturals
4th Nov 2013, 09:18
1) The BA FAQs state that no tattoos should be visible and specifically notes tattoos on necks and forearms. I have a tattoo on my forearm which is not visible with long sleeve shirts - would this be an issue? I can stretch without the shirt sleeve riding up so it remains non-visible.

I can answer this one; last year at BA HQ we were simply asked "do you have any visible tattoos?" I would suggest as long as you do not consider them to EVER be visible at work you'd be safe answering "no" to this question.

If only the rest of the assessment were so easy!

MaydayMaydayMayday
4th Nov 2013, 10:06
RobinJFisher

I think you'd be crazy not to mention a forearm tattoo if they specifically mention them in the FAQs. All you can do is be up front about it and if they think there's a way around it then great. Really not sure you could get through an entire career in long sleeves, but all you can do is ask.

With regard to accommodation, best thing would be to call the FTOs directly and you'll have a pretty quick answer.

I know with FTE you're not allowed guests staying in your room on campus, but don't know about the prospect of living off campus.

FANS
4th Nov 2013, 11:08
George is right to ask about living conditions/salaries etc and to check that he can afford it etc.

The only thing I will add is that if you can not afford this, you can not afford to be an airline pilot! It is that simple.

Yes people do commute from all over, but I'd strongly suggest that as a new line pilot you do not want a long commute as you'll be exhausted as operating into LHR is a very tough gig for your first job these days.

ben1
4th Nov 2013, 11:55
I've got another quick question!!

For those who have applied before can you save your online application at various stages after writing one essay answer for example ? I've got lots of uni essay deadlines pilling up so ideally I'd like to complete the application over a few days.

Thanks

david paul
4th Nov 2013, 15:27
I have for a long time been concerned by the amount of good data which people have on the industry and the terms. I have in fact had this conversation with senior BALPA guys and until recently they considered that cadets were not their problem, that is starting to change, please refer to their website and youtube videos.

My purpose here is to highlight the downsides, I certainly wont be drawn into long debates and negative responses to this.

To many I have been very lucky, sponsored through my training and moved on quickly to easyJet and now BA. I have always passed everything, been promoted and recruited much faster than is likely on average.

What you dont hear is this: 'A lot of pilots in BA are very unhappy and hate the job / airline / lifestyle'

I once spent the whole day dissuading a member of crew from applying to this or any other scheme and to not follow a career in aviatipon. He left by saying thanks for ruining my dream.

I have also spent the day with guys who hove spent over £100k mortgaged their parents home and have very little to show for it, who claim that nobody ever warned them, I ask them whether they feel that they should have done more homework and should they shoulder some of the responsibility, they usually feel that the school led them into it...

Firstly you must look at incentives:

The schools need your money or they will go bust quite quickly
The airlines need cheap first officers
The union needs subs and newbies to pay the old guys their salaries

Nobody buy nobody cares about you or your lifestyle, you only need to look at BA mixed fleet cabin crew to see that. I often spend time with these guys too, and they are often crying, catching a coach to glasgow to go home to save £15 on the cost of a stby.

Most people become pilots and crew because they 'know instinctively' that thats what they need to do. This is not the case, it will wear off very quickly.

I do not currently know a single person I trained with who doesnt want to get out of flying.

A great many people (myself included) are now considering joining Emirates, this is a last desperate attempt to earn enough monrey to have any kind of lifestyle and a big part of that is that there you may get command quite quickly and be able to move if you have to. As a first officer you are basically worthless in the industry, and only jet command time on something over 50T will really help.

The only time I recommend this path now is to those who are not particularly gifted academically and whose parents cant help them into a professional career, to these folks the £80 - £100k may be a wise investment in increasing future earnings above what was likely to have been achieved.
For those with any kind of ability whatsoever almost any other professional path would be better.

This path will lead to a poor lifestyle, low earnings and a very disrupted life in general. Please also consider that the older pilots in any airline will also want you to join as they recognise that you are needed to keep the show on the road to pay their salaries.

New entrant pilots into BA can expect that throughout their entire career (job is a better word) they will have low pay and very poor prospects for command.
The recent BALPA letter highlights how dire the promotional prospects are.
Make no mistake, you need to be a captain in todays aviation world and in that respect you are far far better off joining easyJet / Ryanair or a ME carrier. Though as I say the best bet is to stay flying as a PPL and forget becoming a commercial pilot.

Very few people will listen to this advice. And you will not hear it that much, it is actually very upsetting to write this as it crystallises your own worst fears.

It takes big balls indeed not to apply to this, not to join BA when you get the chance. But this is not the place to be and has not been for 15 years.

At least ive let you know and anybody who can become a solicitor / accountant / doctor / work anywhere in finance at all, surely should. Most of you will apply and most will not succeed, to those I would say that you are by far the better for not getting in, I wish I never had.

Best of luck

Vinny96
4th Nov 2013, 15:52
First, I'd like to start out by asking if anyone has known of or is aware of any Americans applying.

Next, I apologize ahead of time and have read the requirements that only if one has the right to live and work in the UK can one be eligible to apply. I've read into work visa requirements and one condition of obtaining work visa status would be to have gained employment already in the UK, so I see there is a Catch 22 already with possibly applying to this program....

Still, I figured it can't hurt to ask. A little background - I've just about missed opportunities early on in my life to become a commercial pilot. Instead of pursuing a lifelong desire in aviation (civilian and military), the then young person in me chose to serve in the infantry and, upon leaving military service, chose a career in law enforcement and related security fields. Later on in life, I obtained my Private Pilot's License and only then realized what I had missed all these years. The career progression of a pilot starting out in the US, in my research, is a long and arduous path ripe with low pay and a lot of time serving the regional carriers. The BA FPP seems like an excellent opportunity to start a career in commercial aviation (that and fulfill a desire to live and work in the UK).

Thank you :)

SinBin
4th Nov 2013, 18:32
David Paul, what planet do you live on, are you sure you work at the same BA that I do? At BA a command is not the be all and end all, there's long haul, training FO positions, management positions if that's your thing, a monthly roster bidding system, control over your life and a full career! I'm always flying the baby airbus well over 50T, in fact I flew an A321 at 88T today?..! If you really are considering going out to the gulf, I think the grass will always be greener! It's a :mad: out there!

But don't talk :mad: to potential people for the FPP, it's the best scheme going out there!:ugh:

MaydayMaydayMayday
4th Nov 2013, 19:17
SinBin, I'd be very surprised if they do actually work at the same BA as you. (Strike me as a thinly veiled troll)

Let's play devil's advocate and say that they do:

Any idea how many unemployed lawyers there are out there at the moment? It's an absolute ton. Not to mention disgruntled, overworked doctors who constantly complain about bureaucracy, lack of sleep and declining T&Cs. Half of the folk I went to medschool with are in precisely that position, with many heading down under after not being able to pick up anything higher than locum work in the UK. Their earnings are not higher than the current BA pay scales year by year. Quite a fair few doctors applied for the FPP last year (at least one successfully) and know of another couple applying this time. They're all aware of what's on offer.

The sector I'm in the process of leaving (another professional role) has seen terms and conditions obliterated since the financial downturn. Two of our academically brilliant staff have had to leave the country (US and Canadian citizens) as there were simply no doctoral level jobs available in the UK. Another PhD left to join the Police purely for the permanent contract and pension.

Nobody's going to become a millionaire off the back of flying for BA, but I'm really finding it difficult to see how the earnings could be described as "low". Compared to most other professions that's simply inaccurate. You're not going to rival top executives, but compared to the vast majority of doctors, dentists and lawyers it's at least on a par. Trust me on that, around 80 of my high school year studied one of the above and went on to work in their respective professions. Thankfully they finished their degrees when the jobs market was far far stronger than it is at the moment, and with far better T&Cs than are on offer today. They still don't have a better range of salaries or lifestyle options that BA offer.

It's not exactly easy to compare apples with pears, especially when you're not clued up on at least one or the other. In this case the apples are certainly comparable to the pears, and a whole lot better than the fruit most other people have in their baskets.

Cesc_
4th Nov 2013, 19:29
When applying I think people only really need to consider your last paragraph, if you're just in it for the money then I would suggest the go home advice. Personally there's nothing I'd like to do more than get into this scheme and fly for BA. In fact I even turned down the chance to become an accountant as you suggest :P. Besides looking at the supposed pay scale it's not exactly bad, obviously people who qualify for the scheme could do better, but I wouldn't let my wallet dictate my life.

KriVa
4th Nov 2013, 19:33
While I am also of the opinion that anybody should surely consider the drawbacks of any decision before making it, this just smells fishy...
If you're a legitimate BA pilot, please consider the next few sentences as unspoken.
However, to me, it seems strange that somebody would only sign up here to make a demeaning post about a very desirable cadetship, and the airline that backs it.
If anything, it almost seems like the post is intended to try and discourage some readers to even join the selections. Which could be favorable to the poster, if he has the intention to join the cadetship himself.
To be fair, I know quite a few "old and grey guys" who still absolutely adore flying. Even they would jump at a cadetship like this, were it not that they're all just a tad bit too old.

In short,
If you're truly a BA pilot: thanks for the other side of the coin.
If you're not... I feel very sad for you.

SinBin
4th Nov 2013, 19:58
On reading his post further, he knows very little of the FPP deal or even BA, and is most probably a troll. I don't ever remember Easyjet sponsoring people!

Morale has taken a kicking recently, but I wouldn't want to be elsewhere? If it's that bad then bugger off, in my view!

Earnings are perceived as low to start with, but you're a cadet, effectively paying off a loan that BA has guaranteed, rather like starting on a graduate/internship/apprenticeship scheme. I seem to remember my first job on a graduate scheme, i earned £17,000. After a only a few years you'll be on the proper payscales earning over £60K. My last P60 was £69k gross, PP3 short haul FO!

MaydayMaydayMayday
4th Nov 2013, 20:09
SinBin, perhaps the old CTC McAlpine scheme? Anyway, I think it's a bit of a moot point.

Entirely of the opinion that people should go into any role with their eyes open, of course. I'm still also of the opinion that BA are offering something extremely worthwhile and exciting.

FANS
5th Nov 2013, 05:08
david paul - that's a nice work of fiction you've written about yourself.

People must be aware that BA is not a utopia and flying is a world away from even 20 years ago, and will continue a downward trend IMHO. But if you want to do it, and do it in the UK, this is a fantastic opportunity.

If you want to earn £ and compare yourself to your friends that are senior lawyers etc, this is the wrong career for you. It once would have been a good one, but not now and no one wants to be hearing of you having to do overtime to pay for school fees and you bidding trips to maximise allowances. You need to take stock of the lifestyle/pay that a pilot entering the job today will have, and that's not the same as a 10 year+ skipper.

hatchet_h
5th Nov 2013, 06:24
There are better schemes than BA out there, take a look at Aer Lingus:

Charge to get selected: Free vs 200/ 250 at BA
Class 1 Medical: Free vs 300+ at BA
Need to buy life assurance ? No vs Yes at BA
Selection partly outsourced ? No vs Yes at BA
Loan Required for training: 21,500 (25k EUR) vs 90,000 at BA
Starting Salary: 35,000 vs 22,000 at BA
Time to reach the highest pay point: 26 years vs 34 at BA (both top out at ~ 150k GBP)

The BA scheme might be the best in the UK, but I do agree that if BA did really want the best candidates they could make the financial aspects of the scheme better.

G-F0RC3
5th Nov 2013, 07:20
That might be an even more ignorant post than david paul's one. :rolleyes:

G-F0RC3
5th Nov 2013, 08:56
I disagree that it's "far superior" financially. That depends on how you look at it. If it were financially "far superior", then how come I can't afford the AL programme yet I can afford the BA FPP?

AL: The approximate cost of the initial training programme is €100,000. If you are successful in your application you will be required to fund approximately 25% of this training cost during the course. Upon successful completion of the course, a further 25% approximately will be recovered by Aer Lingus by means of reduced salary over a number of years. The full details of this will be outlined at a later stage in the recruitment process.
[my emphasis]

What this means is that you'll be required to find 25000 Euros yourself. To the best of my knowledge this won't be guaranteed by AL, and it's virtually impossible to otherwise acquire it without securing it against a property. Few people who might be young enough to get the most out of this career own such a property. So immediately family would be required to help. Furthermore, it would be difficult to get any kind of two-year payment holiday before having to start repaying such a loan, so (again) family would be required to start servicing such a debt almost immediately. And don't forget, a debt of 25000 is still a lot of money to repay. Moreover, a further 25000 Euros would be paid up by a reduced salary for the first few years of employment. So while I accept that this still represents a good opportunity given the alternatives if one were to go it alone, it's not as inclusive as the BA FPP.

With BA they guarantee your loan, so no need to secure it against a house. On top of that, there's a payment break for the duration of training, so no need to start paying it back while you're training. And then when you get a job with them, they'll pay you £1000 tax free per month on top of your salary for the first seven years of employment to service the vast majority of the debt (effectively paying for the entire cost of the training). Obviously there is interest in both cases, but that's not going to be vastly different in either case.

The cost of the initial screening process that hatchet refers to is pretty inconsequential, given the vast numbers we're talking about. And quite frankly Aer Lingus could probably do with outsourcing their selection process because they have made a complete nonsense of it themselves, where nobody has a clue where they stand even weeks or months after AL said they would.

robinjfisher
5th Nov 2013, 09:00
It appears that each time the FPP comes round, somebody appears on the forums to explain the myriad reasons why one wouldn't want to apply for it. This year, it's david paul. Last year, hatchet h (http://www.pprune.org/7725062-post765.html).

Have asked OAA about the accommodation situation and eagerly awaiting a response. I withdrew from the process last year due to a change in my personal situation so hoping this won't count against me.

SinBin
5th Nov 2013, 11:10
I'm not sure you're adding anything to this thread PP...I spend a great amount of time with my family etc etc

Cesc_
5th Nov 2013, 11:19
Does anyone have an idea of the what the loan repayments look like each month when you eventually start paying it back?

Wirbelsturm
5th Nov 2013, 12:09
Simple answer is that not every job is for everyone. Do your research, check what you want/need from a job and then make your own decision.

Personally I would take issue with Dave Pauls view of the company, my view certainly doesn't match his.

Bottom line, if you don't like it, don't join. If you do join then don't like it, leave.

Reblochon
5th Nov 2013, 13:13
Hello everybody,
I'm new on this forum since no french one talks about BA FPP.
In other words, love the thread.

I'm sorry in the answer appears in the last 67 pages of this thread, but is there any statistics about previous graduates from these FTO that were sponsored by BA and actually entered the company? In other words, did BA scheduled well their need of cadet in their last FPPs?

And here's a stupid question but who knows, maybe there's an obvious answer: OAA, CTC or FTE: beside the course location, is there anything that gives the advantage to one of them? BA says "no", but still wouldn't say "yes" if so.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MaydayMaydayMayday
5th Nov 2013, 13:17
Cesc, it will depend on the total amount/type of the loan involved. Something that's worth noting, and which has been pointed out a few pages earlier in this thread (posts #1235 and #1237), is that (with the current deal) when payments begin (after the 24 month holiday) they are set at a lower rate for a further 24 months (something like 75% of what the remaining payments will be). Even with the largest possible (BA guaranteed) loan it is covered (give or take a tenner) by the £1000 payments.

This means a number of things. For those taking smaller loans, the £1000 BA are paying on top of their salary could create a surplus for those two years. You could choose to pay extra (even just up to the £1000) per month, hence slightly lowering your payments for the remaining years, or just budget for the slightly better 'salary' created during that period. By the time the payments (with interest) increase (potentially to over £1000 per month for those having taken loans of sufficient size), you would be at a higher point on the FPP pay scale. Even those taking the largest loans will not feel any real impact on their actual salary whilst they are at the lowest points on the pay scale.

Even when having taken the largest loan with the higher rate of interest (i.e. not property secured) it looks very manageable.

Some people may be in a position to make higher payments earlier on, leaving them more comfortable with the later payments and paying back less interest in the long run, others may budget to keep the higher payments until after the initial window. There's a framework, but it's not rigid.

Anyone getting to the final stage will obviously have an opportunity to chat about salaries and bond repayments in more detail with the recruitment team, which will be far more accurate and enlightening than anyone can or will post on here. BA cannot, however, provide anyone with financial advice, they can only make you aware of the possibility of a loan which may be guaranteed by BA. Neither BA nor anyone else can quote you specific numbers about repayments as this will be entirely between you and your finance provider, which in most cases will be BBVA. All BA can or will ask is that you have considered the financial routes and implications involved in taking up a place on the scheme, then effectively pass you BBVA's business card if you want it.

FullTanks
5th Nov 2013, 21:54
I am saddened by some of the discouraging comments currently being posted on this thread. The BA FPP scheme is, in my view, far and away the best flying career orientated, sponsored course available. If you wish to earn a living as a commercial pilot it stands way above the competition, such as it is.
I have been privileged to speak informally with a number of cadets on the first BA course. Surprisingly many are mature, successful professionals, who have been prepared to relinquish senior positions in a variety of fields and convince the BA recruiters of their undoubted enthusism for aviation, but (and it is a big but) they were not previously prepared to follow the self selected route through a training school, only perhaps to find that a fATPL does not necessarily confer employability, even at a time when airlines in the UK may be recruiting from the schools. With self funding there is also an element of self selection.
These cadets applied in the full knowledge that they will never, because of their ages, reach the top of the current BA pay scale, that their starting salary will in some cases be one seventh of what they earned last year, that they will be absent from their families for many weeks during the course and, although they did not know at the time of application, will almost certainly be missing Christmas at home this year. They did it because they want to fly aeroplanes for a living and because they want to fly for BA, in the full knowledge of the sacrifices of time, lifestyle and income they will inevitably experience - and that is what BA saw in them, as well as the many skills they could bring to the airline and to the particular role of captain, for make no mistake, it is potential captains they are selecting.
If the recent detractor of BA on this thread is a bonafide employee I feel very sorry for him/her, as they have obviously made a disastrous career choice. I count myself lucky, in my retired state, not to have to fly with such a disaffected individual.
For those who can ignore the negative posts, if you wish to be a commercial pilot and you can satisfy the application criteria, this is the chance you've been waiting for. If you can demonstrate the skills to successfully complete the course you must then convince BA of your commitment and dedication. On the first course, 95 or so successful candidates from a field of approximately 6500 can feel jusifiably pleased and proud that they achieved this. If you would like to join them you must do the same - I wish you good luck. If you are successful you will be envied by those in other airlines elsewhere - believe me.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
5th Nov 2013, 23:40
I am saddened by some of the discouraging comments currently being posted on this thread

Part of life sadly. And couldn't agree more with your comments Full Tanks.

Too many people losing focus on what this profession is all about. If money is all you think about you are in the wrong game.

hatchet_h
6th Nov 2013, 05:54
I think your post illustrates my point.. If your in your 30's/40's and have the typical responsibilities of a person that age (house, loans, kids?) then you have to have been earning 100k plus a year to be able to afford to not earn a salary for 18 months and then take on 100k of debt?

G-F0RC3
6th Nov 2013, 08:36
Hardly hatchet. Your point was that AL was a better scheme than BA. But everything you list as problems if one were to apply for the BA scheme would also be problems if one were to apply for the AL scheme. Indeed it is you who is missing the point; that there's far more to it than money. If anything, FullTanks exemplifies that. If you can't afford to leave your current career; take on debt; study for a couple of years away from family commitments etc, then you can't afford to become a pilot. That has nothing whatsoever to do with one scheme being better than another. Nobody with any sense is suggesting that it'll all be easy and you'll walk into a career earning top money without it affecting your current life greatly. That would be naive in the extreme. But those who want this enough to go out and get it know that already, and a whole lot more. They are driven - not by a desire for money - but by their passion for flying. So for many (myself included) in today's aviation industry, these schemes don't make it easy to become a pilot - but they do make it possible.

And if anyone thinks that dissuading others from applying will improve their own chances they are gravely mistaken. Serious contenders (those who have a realistic chance of making it) have already decided to apply. You might shorten the numbers ever so marginally, but you won't modify the numbers who make up the business end of the applicants.

hatchet_h
6th Nov 2013, 09:37
I think this is an interesting discussion, but my point was that if BA did want the very best candidates to apply then they should improve the financial aspects of the scheme. ie:

Circa ~ 20% of the population can qualify for a BBVA property backed loan and afford to live during study.

Circa ~ 50% of the population can qualify for a BBVA BA backed loan and still afford to live during study.

Circa ~ 80% of the population can qualify for a BBVA BA backed loan and could afford to live if they were paid during training or took on a smaller loan (ie Aer Lingus 21k) or even if BA guaranteed a larger amount (ie 150k). Examples of jobs that do this include BA Graduate Trainees, Air Traffic Controllers, Train Drivers etc..

The increased scope would improve the quality of the candidates as more people would be eligible.

One last thought. Are those people that are leaving higher paid jobs (Doctors were mentioned) contributing more to society as a British Airways pilot vs their current employment? I would be interested to get peoples perspectives on that...

Bealzebub
6th Nov 2013, 09:48
The increased scope would improve the quality of the candidates as more people would be eligible.

They might argue that the quality of the candidates is already very high which is why the qualification bar is set where it is, and despite that, only a small percentage of those candidates will be successful. The number of opportunities available under this scheme is fixed and the eligibility numbers are already high enough.

One last thought. Are those people that are leaving higher paid jobs (Doctors were mentioned) contributing more to society as a British Airways pilot vs their current employment?
Possibly, or possibly not, but that isn't really the issue. For the candidate it is an elective choice, and for the company it is an apprenticeship opportunity offered in line with a projected need for specific labour.

You need to keep this in perspective. It is an apprenticeship opportunity for those who might be interested, driven by commercial interests.

hatchet_h
6th Nov 2013, 10:03
For sure.. we all know that "there is no such thing as society" anyway..

G-F0RC3
6th Nov 2013, 10:49
I don't agree that there is "no such thing as society", but I do think we are a long way from perfection. However, to further discuss that would be to take the conversation off on a tangent. It's not a concern of BA's whether or not someone applying would be better for society in their current role. BA is a business, whose primary goal is to make money. It realises that having high calibre individuals on the front lines makes perfect business sense.

It's difficult to see how increasing the inclusiveness of the programme by widening the financial assistance would guarantee a stronger set of candidates. Having more to choose from usually does get better results, but given that the quality of the chosen few is already extremely high, it could easily be argued the differences at the top are so small and subjectively determinable as to not make much of a difference whether there were more to choose from or not. While it's unlikely BA have the absolute optimal level, the FPP does clearly still acquire very strong candidates in its current form, and therefore there appears little motive to radically change it.

stiggles
6th Nov 2013, 20:40
Hi,

I'm currently in Sudan in the middle of cycling Cape Town to London, as such my ability to gain reliable web access is not too good and I have been unable to research as thoroughly as I normally would.

I would therefore be grateful if someone with experience of previous years could suggest when secondary and tertiary selection is likely to take place.

FANS
7th Nov 2013, 10:18
People forget that BA is a business competing against the likes of RYR. To pay wages during training etc., is simply not affordable and ultimately affects the competitiveness of the airline.

This is a great scheme and hence such debates are basically moot.

If a Dr wants to become a pilot, fair enough. It's a waste of his 5+ years at medical school but we all make mistakes and that mistake was made at age 17. Equally, doing that kind of job is impossible if you don't feel passionately about it. Airline flying is not in that bracket anymore, although you still get the odd pilot that wakes up one morning and hates it/gets scared of flying and can no longer do it.

yanny
7th Nov 2013, 10:50
Stiggles, expect something like: January, February, March as the three assessment days. I think FTE do the first two on one day, though.

sebflyer
7th Nov 2013, 19:25
Hi, I'm in my final year of secondary school, about to move on to a levels. In summer 2016 I will be able to apply to a training school, and hopefully join something like BA FPP to train. What sort of opportunities will be around in 2016 do you think, will BA FPP still be running? If not, if I apply straight to something like CTC Cadets, what are the realistic chances of getting employed as an 19 yr old just come out of school and training? Cheers.

LadyL2013
8th Nov 2013, 15:34
I will be applying.

I have wanted to fly since I was a little girl. Money has always been the major issue, but I'm at a point in my life now where I need to grab opportunities like this.

I do see massive problems in terms of where the placements are (at least a 2 hour drive from my home) and the long term abroad placements, but there is no harm in giving it a shot, right?

G-F0RC3
8th Nov 2013, 15:54
I do wish whenever a mod removes a post they at least explain why... :hmm: It was a serious (albeit perhaps a little pedantic) response to seb.

Seb: Basically it's impossible to predict your chances of employment as a CTC graduate in a few years. You might be the best candidate on the planet, in which case your chances are high. Or you might be fairly average, in which case your chances are as slim as the next guy. BA seem to suggest that the FPP will run until 2016, so that's a potential opportunity for you, but there are no guarantees. I'd not bank your future on it - make a plan B.

Lady: I think it would be virtually impossible to live a two hour car journey away from the training centre of your choice and expect to do well on the course. You'd be exhausted from all the driving and it would eat into your evening study time (big time)? :sad:

Wirbelsturm
8th Nov 2013, 20:32
I do see massive problems in terms of where the placements are

2 hours to LGW or LHR is fine, don't worry about it, the roads are empty for most SH earlies! :E

rogerg
8th Nov 2013, 20:56
2 hours to LGW or LHR is fine, don't worry about it, the roads are empty for most SH earlies
At the time the trainee would have to arrive for the lessons I don't think that might apply.

Straighten Up
9th Nov 2013, 03:34
Stiggles

From memory last year the first set of assessment days at Oxford were during the 2 weeks before Christmas but there were some after. The second days started in the first week of jan I think. I'm also pretty sure from the comments last year that Oxford were quicker to call people in than the others - which of course makes no difference in the long run as the top x% (not me :( unfortunately) all have to go to waterside around the same time

tomleakey
9th Nov 2013, 15:37
Hi guys...
Any advice on preparing for the assessement at our chosen FTO ?

Wirbelsturm
9th Nov 2013, 16:16
At the time the trainee would have to arrive for the lessons I don't think that might apply.

Rogerg

The last time I looked there were no FTO's offering 'lessons' at either LHR or LGW, I might be wrong but I think the operating environment might not be conducive to training. :E

More than welcome to try it but the wake turbulence separation behind heavy and 'super' departures and arrivals might make circuits interesting! :};)

Maybe, just maybe, if successful and based at LHR/LGW then the 2 hours rule 'might' apply at the time the 'employee' would have to arrive for the SH 'job'. Please refer to the above post.

Cheers.

rogerg
9th Nov 2013, 17:00
Wirbelsturm, sorry I was only talking about the initial training. once completed and on line 2 hrs is too far. Some other arrangements would have to be made. Just depends how much you want the job.

LadyL2013
9th Nov 2013, 17:00
G-FORC3

I realise doing the training would pretty much mean moving to the area. I currently have a house with a mortgage, so it does pose somewhat of a problem! However, having had the conversation with my OH, moving and then moving abroad is a possibility.

Is the training daily? Some of the descriptions aren't too clear on this.

MaydayMaydayMayday
9th Nov 2013, 17:13
LadyL2013, whichever flight school you opt for, it'll be a full time intensive course.

LadyL2013
9th Nov 2013, 17:17
Thank you, Mayday.

It is a big commitment, but the job itself is a big commitment. I see no harm in going for it and in the meantime figuring out the logistics of it all.

It is what I have wanted for many years, the last thing I want is to be be 10-20 years down the line having never applied and be thinking 'what if?'

G-F0RC3
9th Nov 2013, 17:56
rogerg: Wirbelsturm, sorry I was only talking about the initial training. once completed and on line 2 hrs is too far. Some other arrangements would have to be made. Just depends how much you want the job.

Not strictly true. I have spoken to a BA Captain who lives around a two hour drive from Heathrow. I guess you could plan your roster so that you didn't have to do that drive every day. But for training I would say that such a drive is basically impossible.

LadyL: This is that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! ;) No regrets! But seriously think very hard about how you could make it work; you might get asked it in an interview. :cool:

Wirbelsturm
9th Nov 2013, 18:48
Wirbelsturm, sorry I was only talking about the initial training. once completed and on line 2 hrs is too far. Some other arrangements would have to be made. Just depends how much you want the job.

I was being a little tounge in cheek myself! ;)

As far as two hours I'm afraid we have to disagree here. Many of my colleagues live further than 2 hours from either LGW or LHR. Some commute from abroad. BA recommend being within 2 hours for the purposes of home standby.

The initial rostering as an FPP pilot may mean that there will be lots of early/late reports on and over weekends but, generally, day tripping is reserved for the more senior FO's and trips are the flavour of the junior FO.

These vary from 2 day to 5 day trips with a plethora of sectors contained within. So the nasty drive need only be done a few times a month. ;)

MaydayMaydayMayday
9th Nov 2013, 23:02
Lady L, couldn't agree more. Good luck! :)

theflyingkai
10th Nov 2013, 11:10
Hey everyone, I've got a question about the selection process at different FTOs, and how flexible they are regarding dates.

OAA state on their website that 'The Stage 1 Assessments for the BA FPP Programme will take place at Oxford Airport and are scheduled to commence from November 25th 2013', while CTC and FTE are rather vague on dates for the selection process.

I was wondering whether any successful applicants or applicants from previous years can give me some insight about the likely selection dates of each FTO. I'm currently a second year university student with quite a busy schedule, and there are compulsory practicals and classes I will need to attend in early December.
Do any of the three FTOs offer a system where you are given a time period and can book a day that most suits you? Or have any of you been given a time that clashed with personal/academic commitments, and were able to change the selection to an alternate date?

Thanks so much in advance for any response, the applications start tomorrow and I'm still trying to decide on which FTO to choose.

tomleakey
10th Nov 2013, 12:12
Hi guys...
I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me on any possible preparation for the assessement at our chosen FTO ...in my case FTE jerez

ben1
10th Nov 2013, 14:24
Hi guys,

I've been looking at FTE and noticed that after the online application phase II of the assessment is answering questions in a given time limit, this is before the assessment day in London. Can anyone shed any light on what kind of questions these are? :confused: This stage seems only applicable to FTE so I'm just wondering what it involves as it may affect my choice in FTO; any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

BobsCousin
10th Nov 2013, 14:57
This stage seems only applicable to FTE so I'm just wondering what it involves as it may affect my choice in FTO; any help would be greatly appreciated.

The FTE selection process was a travesty last year. They said there would be multiple selection stages with FTE (before the BA round) but then there was only one day in London, which may not sound that bad, but the fact that people turned up on the day not knowing whether there would be more testing was not exactly great. The worst part was that they sent an email around stating what activities would be involved on the day, but failed to mention that there would be an interview, which most people assumed would be on another day in the future.

No, I'm not just being bitter as I did make it through to the next stage, but considering they charge £200 for the selection, they should have been a little more organised. I wouldn't trust anything they say about the selection process.

Ad_Pad
10th Nov 2013, 19:03
Do any of the three FTOs offer a system where you are given a time period and can book a day that most suits you? Or have any of you been given a time that clashed with personal/academic commitments, and were able to change the selection to an alternate date?

The flyingkai, Last year at CTC, the assessments were split up into 2 separate days during January. There were several dates you could choose from across a couple of weeks for each stage of the assessment. This was based on a first come first serve basis for the successful applicants, in terms of your preferred choice.

Do no take my word for it but i believe OAA had a similar process but earlier on (late December / early January)

I would imagine the schools to follow a similar format this time around, however, this is not guaranteed.

theflyingkai
10th Nov 2013, 19:12
Ad_pad, thanks for your response! Is there any benefit to completing the application earlier during the application window, or do all the FTOs wait for the window to close before informing candidates of selection dates (if chosen).

Ad_Pad
10th Nov 2013, 20:44
theflyingkai, No take your time with the application. There is no benefit in submitting it early. You will be informed by CTC if you have been successful after the window has closed and BA has looked through all the applications. Only then will you then be able to book your first assessment day.

EZY_FR
10th Nov 2013, 21:07
ben1

There are no timed questions on the application form.

Alex_95
11th Nov 2013, 00:18
How is it decided if you will fly Boeings or Airbus's? Do certain flight schools train for Boeing or Airbus only? Does this give one of the schools an advantage? Is it better in BA to fly Boeing or Airbus? Does one have a better future? Many thanks
Good luck!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
11th Nov 2013, 01:33
Is the training daily? Some of the descriptions aren't too clear on this.

I find this comment quite surprising? For someone who has thought about this career for many years, surely you have done your research?

Doing your CPL/IR takes a great deal of commitment, look into it and make sure you know what is involved.

Wirbelsturm
11th Nov 2013, 03:07
How is it decided if you will fly Boeings or Airbus's? Do certain flight schools train for Boeing or Airbus only? Does this give one of the schools an advantage? Is it better in BA to fly Boeing or Airbus? Does one have a better future? Many thanks
Good luck!

Alex, pass the course first!

By the time you get through (if) the 737 will be (hopefully) gone and the only thing you will go through to train on will be the Airbus.

The first 'Boeing' you will come across will be either the 777 or the 787.

Not for at least 5 years though!

Bealzebub
11th Nov 2013, 03:23
Alex_95

Good luck!

No, you will train on light aircraft. Although you will likely get some limited exposure to airliner simulators, it is designed to give you a perspective of where your training is leading, and to provide additional motivation. Once you have completed the basic training (16 months or so,) the Jet orientation and airline preparation training will make wider use of these simulators. However the purpose is to introduce you further into the practical CRM aspects of airline flying, as well as providing a preparation into the common aspects of airline type training. It really doesn't matter a great deal which type you do this training on, since the broader importance and emphasis is common.

Type training is at the advanced stage. This is the point at which you are about to start work with the airline. At this point everything you have previously learned is intensified, sharpened, and honed towards the specific aircraft you are going to fly. During your career it is very likely you will switch between different types of aircraft. Whatever the differences, your basic training and the experience you have amassed along the way should make the transition a reasonably painless affair.

chocsaway08
11th Nov 2013, 07:33
Any whisper of what time they are planning to open for applications today?

V_J
11th Nov 2013, 07:37
"Morning everyone, applications will be opening very soon on the website.. It's great to see you so keen to get your applications in to us! Don't forget the window is open until November 26th".

...say CTC. Looks like quite a few people were around at 00:01.

SirPulok
11th Nov 2013, 09:00
You can already apply for FPP via the CTC website.

Guyduke
11th Nov 2013, 09:10
hey future piots, jus a quick question, i don have the entry criteria set out by BA. which are 3 A'Levels BBC or above or a degree. does this mean im gonna be knocked off in the firt screening proess.

yanny
11th Nov 2013, 10:03
It means that you do not meet the minimum entry criteria to apply. Unfortunately your application would not be considered if you decided to put one in anyway.

chocsaway08
11th Nov 2013, 10:10
Nothing on bafpp website, still "no longer accepting applications" trying to apply through OAA which automatically directs to bafpp.

I did not accept the first hurdle in this process to overcome to come so soon.

:ugh:

V_J
11th Nov 2013, 10:15
Having spoken to OAA I think they are quite confused as to why CTC are taking
applications and they can't.

G-F0RC3
11th Nov 2013, 10:33
Why are you in such a rush? Try to relax. :) It'll open up soon enough.

V_J
11th Nov 2013, 10:41
He's probably in a rush because several thousand other people are in a rush.

p.s. I'm in a rush.

chocsaway08
11th Nov 2013, 10:46
There is no concern, I had just cleared time in my diary this afternoon to complete the application.

G-F0RC3
11th Nov 2013, 10:54
Oh okay. Well I should imagine it'll be opened by this afternoon on the FPP website. :p Good luck!

theflyingkai
11th Nov 2013, 11:49
Applications for the FPP through the OAA website (top link) are open now! Is anyone else finding the application quite slow (I imagine it's because of the huge number of people trying to apply)? Just want to make sure it's not my internet.

V_J
11th Nov 2013, 15:52
Has anyone been able to add their qualifications yet?

I am stuck. I've added my degree, the type and the grade. I click submit and I get an error message saying add the dates?! There is no box to add the dates? I don't believe I'm being that stupid...It's taken me 5 hours to get to this stage.

Always learning
11th Nov 2013, 16:08
David Paul - everyone has their right to a different opinion, but I believe it deeply unprofessional of you to have written what you did write on this thread behind a pseudonym. I'm glad I don't fly with people like you every day, and it is perhaps worth reminding yourself that as the FO, you are the 2i/c and responsible for motivating the crew and teams around the aircraft every day. I hope your attitude to this is a great deal more positive than the impression you appear to give here.

If you want to leave to Emirates for a command in <5 years (as a handful have left BA), be aware of the grass seeming greener, and the reality of a non-seniority structure, and management who will fire you with no union representation should you fall afoul of management of make a mistake, the opposite of the no-blame culture promoted within BA. Good luck to you.

There's always a couple who slip through the net during recruitment.

What you dont hear is this: 'A lot of pilots in BA are very unhappy and hate the job / airline / lifestyle'
The truth is that a few (minority of) BA pilots are very vocal on BALPA forums on various topics, but while pay rises have not met RPI since 2008, 99%+ feel extremely fortunate not to be in other European carriers with their contract / industrial / deep financial problems. To a [wo]man, everyone cherishes Bidline and the flexibility to work when they want to work. Beat that at Emirates or easyJet.

I once spent the whole day dissuading a member of crew from applying to this or any other scheme and to not follow a career in aviatipon. He left by saying thanks for ruining my dream.
What a great motivator you must be. Present your arguments with balance. The truth being that all of CTC Wings and the majority of Oxford & Jerez will find a decent starter job with a lo-co, albeit at the cost of c.£110,000.

I have also spent the day with guys who hove spent over £100k mortgaged their parents home and have very little to show for it, who claim that nobody ever warned them, I ask them whether they feel that they should have done more homework and should they shoulder some of the responsibility, they usually feel that the school led them into it...
Yes, they exist. Undeniably. Again, balance is key. The top guys on the courses who perform are all in paid employment with airlines. The stragglers never had a chance and were conned.

Firstly you must look at incentives:

The schools need your money or they will go bust quite quickly
The airlines need cheap first officers
The union needs subs and newbies to pay the old guys their salaries
First two are fine, but your final point is awful. Are you that resentful of the skipper sitting beside you? You really need to grow up and move on - there will always be someone on a better deal than you. If you really resent the skipper, and are a demotivational 2i/c for the rest of the team around you, you are in real danger of ending up on the eternal FO list or worse...

Nobody buy nobody cares about you or your lifestyle, you only need to look at BA mixed fleet cabin crew to see that. I often spend time with these guys too, and they are often crying, catching a coach to glasgow to go home to save £15 on the cost of a stby.
There have always been the Delsey diners, who were too cheap to eat out even on Worldwide contracts - Bidline does care about you and your lifestyle as you are in control of it. Furthermore it, as appears, you are a PP2/3 FO on the Airbus, you won't have been working a huge amount on reserve lines when you first arrived, but were paid full time. If you want a command, bid for GSS or Openskies. If you want longhaul and more time at home, bid 787. If you just want to be a 777 skipper, well suck it up and wait your turn like the rest of us!

MF crew are a pleasure to work with in general - there are always those who are clueless and unrealistic as to where they are living. It's their choice to get a coach instead of s/by. Nobody forced them to live in Glasgow.

Most people become pilots and crew because they 'know instinctively' that thats what they need to do. This is not the case, it will wear off very quickly.

I do not currently know a single person I trained with who doesnt want to get out of flying.
Again, you must be a miserable individual - this is completely the polar opposite of my experience. Maybe it is just you with the problem?

A great many people (myself included) are now considering joining Emirates, this is a last desperate attempt to earn enough monrey to have any kind of lifestyle and a big part of that is that there you may get command quite quickly and be able to move if you have to. As a first officer you are basically worthless in the industry, and only jet command time on something over 50T will really help.
Good. Please leave and I'll progress up the seniority list. My suspicion that you have no patience in life is confirmed. If you want C777 in BA, then just wait your turn like the rest of us. If you want to be a 777 skipper with minimum rest turnarounds in Africa with an Emirati ex-cadet FO who doesn't have any airmanship skills, again, be my guest.

Perhaps you should have remained at easyJet and taken a command with them to get to another airline. On their terms. At a European base. Away from your family & friends.

I'll bide my time at BA thanks.

The only time I recommend this path now is to those who are not particularly gifted academically and whose parents cant help them into a professional career, to these folks the £80 - £100k may be a wise investment in increasing future earnings above what was likely to have been achieved.
For those with any kind of ability whatsoever almost any other professional path would be better.
Doing a job you love to do is the best advice you can give to anyone. If you don't love your job, please resign and stop bed-blocking my command.

This path will lead to a poor lifestyle, low earnings and a very disrupted life in general. Please also consider that the older pilots in any airline will also want you to join as they recognise that you are needed to keep the show on the road to pay their salaries.
That is how a seniority system works. Perhaps you need to read about deferred gratification and the Stanford Marshmallow experiment on children and its determination of development? Delayed gratification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_gratification)

New entrant pilots into BA can expect that throughout their entire career (job is a better word) they will have low pay and very poor prospects for command.
The recent BALPA letter highlights how dire the promotional prospects are.
Make no mistake, you need to be a captain in todays aviation world and in that respect you are far far better off joining easyJet / Ryanair or a ME carrier. Though as I say the best bet is to stay flying as a PPL and forget becoming a commercial pilot.
The detailed letter simply works through the retirements so you could guess-timate a time to command - if you join a seniority structure in a 40 year career, an average 20 year to command is a logical outcome.

Did you perhaps not do your research before you joined BA, just as you chastise those self-sponsored in the FTOs?

Somewhat ironic eh?

Everyone else - good luck with the application!

flygirlhopeful
11th Nov 2013, 16:26
Does anyone else keep getting logged off their application? It's so slow and I'm finding it so hard just to get through the basic details, is the application open to everyone now or is it closed? which might be why I'm getting logged off.

neilje12
11th Nov 2013, 16:54
I think I will come back tomorrow. It's just too damn slow what with everyone only just finding out how to actually apply.

Had it opened when expected, the demand would have been more evenly spread.

Hey ho. There's plenty of time and no advantage whatsoever to getting your application in first.

LadyL2013
11th Nov 2013, 17:19
Yes it seems to be very slow. Just finished doing my job history which took about 2 hours to do because of slow loading and I appear to have been logged out without it being saved, despite me clicking 'save':ugh:

guitardude4
11th Nov 2013, 17:27
I cannot seem to enter my degree details into the page.
It keeps failing page validation saying I need to enter dates however I do not see any input for inserting dates.

Have I missed something?? :confused:

Thanks.

Speedy Birdy
11th Nov 2013, 18:08
Hello everyone,

I remember that last year, OAA told us that candidates who had done the COMPASS in the previous 12 months could go directly to Stage 1 - Day 2 (interview and group exercise) if they obtained a "Full pass certificate" on the test.

I went through the FPP selections with OAA last year and made it to the final selections at Waterside. Do any of you know if people in my situation will be able to go directly to Stage 1 - Day 2 this year ?

Here is what I found on OAA's website: "Please note that those who have completed Skills Assessment at CAE Oxford Aviation Academy over the past 12 months will be required to complete the full selection process for BA FPP in order to be considered for the programme"

So I am guessing the answer to my question is "no" but I just wanted to check as I live very, very far away (international) and not having to go to Oxford for the COMPASS again would be a tremendous help.

Thank you.

Fraser19
11th Nov 2013, 18:09
Dont worry its not actually a question about the programme but more of a problem about the web page. Now it clearly states the programme will be open on Monday the 11th of November, now today is the 11th why can I apply. When I go to the apply section it says

"We hope you have a clearer insight into the role of a pilot at British Airways and if the Future Pilot Programme is for you then please click here to apply"

I then click the 'click here to apply'. and it then says

"We are not currently accepting applications for Future Pilot Programme"

Doesnt make sense anyone tell me why?

carltoncole
11th Nov 2013, 18:12
10 minutes and counting to answer one question in the additional questions section. Did BA not think that the FPP might be a tad popular. Or is this part of the recruitment process? Only the patient get their application finished

Jaair
11th Nov 2013, 18:14
Best thing to do is apply within the next few days and wait it out. After all, there's no rush.

flygirlhopeful
11th Nov 2013, 18:14
Guitardude, I also cannot enter my degree as there's no space for dates!!! What to do?

carltoncole
11th Nov 2013, 18:20
Seeing as they reserve the right to close the application process before the 26th, I'm going to keep trying any chance I get tbh

PPLNICK
11th Nov 2013, 18:35
Yep, I'm going to give it a few hours and try later. shame we cant get hold of some more questions though offline to work on.

apart form the ones earlier posted, does anyone else know what questions they will ask? - Thanks

macs86
11th Nov 2013, 19:04
Main details : Salary Sought (£) ?? Whats everybody putting for this?

GAZ45
11th Nov 2013, 19:08
I put £395,000 starting wage. Asked for half a mill when I reach captaincy!

Plus benefits of course

Runway 37
11th Nov 2013, 19:12
I have the same problem as you, Guitardude. I don't think it's something that solves itself when waiting though.

I also get logged off every now and then, quite annoying as I don't want to wait too long as well...

V_J
11th Nov 2013, 19:21
I've never been so frustrated with a computer.

You chaps who are having issues with the dates, hopefully you've sorted it out by now. I had the same problem. The box for dates simply wasn't there.

I started using an iPad and then the boxes magically appeared.

flygirlhopeful
11th Nov 2013, 19:35
Does anyone elses say Status: On hold? What does this mean??

Jaair
11th Nov 2013, 19:48
It will improve with time. Right now my pages seem to constantly get timed out while filling in the basic details. Anyone else with the same problem?

LadyL2013
11th Nov 2013, 19:49
I didn't put anything for expected wage. Have I just offered my services voluntarily?:p

I'm just going to try tomorrow. I keep getting logged out.

smatticus
11th Nov 2013, 19:57
Have tried applying all evening via CTCWings, the application process was predictably slow and I got eventually got redirected to the BA Careers website (where of course, the BA FPP was allegedly "not open for applications"). Tried applying again, and then this came up...

"POSITION NOT AVAILABLE"

"Unfortunately the position you are applying for , , is no longer available"

I am hoping that this is due to the servers crashing from the overload of applicants, rather than BA waving it's right to "close applications before 26th November". Anyone else had this problem?

guitardude4
11th Nov 2013, 20:10
I put quite a low figure for salary sought as I believe I read somewhere (cant find where now) that the starting salary for FPP was 22,500 with the 12,00 a year buy in repayment on-top. Don't take this as gold as I have lost the link so nothing official to back this up.

With regard to the dates on university page thing I sent a "very polite" email to BA recruitment to let them know I cannot see the options on Google Chrome. I will try on my iPad and see if this works. Seems like an odd workaround to make it work but if it means I can get my application in I will try anything.

Thanks for the tip!!

smatticus
11th Nov 2013, 20:22
According to the CTCWings application route, the BA FPP position is "no longer available". This happened the second time I tried to apply (after being forwarded to the BA Careers website after giving a name, email address and password on the CTCWings application route the first time round, whereupon I discovered that BA Careers still haven't officially opened the scheme for applications), and now I can't progress with it at all. I am taking the optimistic assumption that this is because the servers have crashed, rather than because BA have waved their right to "close applications before the deadline of 26th November". Anyone else had this problem?

G-F0RC3
11th Nov 2013, 20:42
Don't worry, they're not going to close the application window on the same day as opening it. lol

It's just going slowly because the server is being heavily used. It'll calm down. Patience is a virtue! :p

guitardude4
11th Nov 2013, 20:46
I can confirm that loading via iPad does show up the full form for the degree qualifications page and allow to enter date.

Not sure why this is any different to using Chrome on a PC but its a good to know for anyone struggling to enter a date. Try on your tablet or perhaps the safari browser on a PC might work.

adelta
11th Nov 2013, 20:48
CTC say this on their website:

"In fact, whilst BA are looking for 60 new pilots in this intake, should they require more, CTC Aviation is the only training provider they will come to for their additional pilot requirement."

Is this true? Because if it is I would think that is a major advantage to training there.

G-F0RC3
11th Nov 2013, 20:53
Not sure, but I don't really see how CTC can make that assertion without quoting BA directly? And why would BA need more than what they are originally planning for? It sounds like an "if" that'll never happen to me. A bit like saying "if" you win the lottery then the costs of training will no longer be an issue. :)

V_J
11th Nov 2013, 21:00
CTC also said on their website earlier that they were 'managing the entire BA FPP application system'....

adelta
11th Nov 2013, 21:10
Sounds like CTC are exercising some artistic license with their marketing material...

adelta
11th Nov 2013, 21:14
I don't know if I have missed something in this thread but I can't get my head around the FTO selection.

If equal weight is placed on each FTO by BA that is fine, but initially it is down to the FTO to send their successful candidates to the next stage of the selection process at BA.

So, if the most popular one (and I'm assuming that is CTC) has 5000 applicants and the others have 3000 (numbers purely made up) then you will have less competition by selecting one of the other FTOs.

But that doesn't seem fair to me.

Have I got it right?

trtj
11th Nov 2013, 21:34
Hi Folks. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Been trying the application since AM, and has been the biggest ball ache application I have ever started. Its soooooooo slow. I've written out all the answers, just cant enter anything without timing out. No date box for degree either, and no ipad. Any other suggestions?

Jaair
11th Nov 2013, 21:36
Is it normal I have to go through the basic questions (asking if I've worked for BA in the past, etc) before logging in, since I already have my login details? It's a pain considering how slow it is.

Jaair
11th Nov 2013, 21:41
Now it says I'm already an applied candidate?

Chelmo
11th Nov 2013, 21:54
you can login directly from ba.com/careers. You should have received that in your registration e-mail

V_J
11th Nov 2013, 21:55
To be honest, the website is ruined. Don't worry about it now. Thousands of people across the country including me have various problems. I'tl all be sorted in the next few days. I've done most of mine now but I'm stuck on the questions with multiple choice....every time I click next I get logged out. Nightmare. :ugh:

flygirlhopeful
11th Nov 2013, 22:25
This is a real pain but I'm glad it's not just me it's not working for. Let's hope tomorrow is a better day :)

flygirlhopeful
11th Nov 2013, 22:31
@jaair, I had the same problem and panicked that maybe it submitted my application, but if you use your login on BA Careers - Home (http://www.ba.com/careers) you can get back to the application page and skip the questions (it's still equally slow though)

stammy
11th Nov 2013, 23:05
I too had the same problem and signed into the application via ba careers, However my application status is now on hold is this normal? I haven't submitted the application and have not completed it?

kagoshimajohn
12th Nov 2013, 02:27
I had the same problem............there is a space for entering dates its just hidden on the right, just slide the bar at the bottom of the window to track over to it.

V_J
12th Nov 2013, 06:56
Website is much better this morning chaps.

stammy
12th Nov 2013, 07:16
its much faster however somehow i think my application has been submitted. It says its on hold but i haven't even completed it.

aero6
12th Nov 2013, 07:32
Hi pls can someone explain me what is gsce n its equivalent.:confused:
since m from other country i have no idea about it.:\

I am a graduate btw so am i eligible for it ??

THANKS

V_J
12th Nov 2013, 07:40
Aero6

All of the requirements for the FPP and the qualification equivalents are on the website.

aero6
12th Nov 2013, 07:54
I have read those equivalents but cant able to understand. :\

Should i just go ahead and fill the form ??

G-F0RC3
12th Nov 2013, 08:04
aero: You'll need to contact UK NARIC to establish what your qualifications are equivalent to in UK terms. There are details on the FTO and FPP websites. Good luck! :ok:

Lindsay Craig
12th Nov 2013, 08:05
Good morning everyone,

I hope this finds you well. Firstly as I am posting under my real name you can rest assured I am who I say I am, and am posting from the BA Pilot Recruitment Department.

I am sorry about the delays you have experienced in starting applications for this year's FPP. I take full responsibility for that and unfortunately it's down to some IT teething problems that we did not foresee. Thanks very much for your patience and we hope to have the site up and running ASAP.

In response to some specific queries:

If you are not seeing drop down boxes please try a desk or laptop as the iPad may be the route of some of this trouble, and/or try a different browser - we are investigating.

If you find an application you have started remains frozen or on hold, even though we have done some work on this, please call us on 0870 60 80 747 and ask the team to re-open your application so you can continue.

Rest assured these issues are not us closing the window after only one day, although it is fair to say we are seeing extremely high demand for the system at the moment.

This short delay won't disadvantage you and do take care not to rush your application unnecessarily - this process requires thought and care and success won't come from sending in the first words you can think of in the shortest possible amount of time.

Very best of luck and we really look forward to hearing from you. I won't be posting regularly on this site, but if any further issues come up I promise I will come back and let you know.

Have a good day,

Lindsay and the Team at BA

flygirlhopeful
12th Nov 2013, 09:01
Urm, was anyone elses 'supporting questions' section just one question?

Jaair
12th Nov 2013, 09:30
@flygirlhopeful Nope, more than one. Takes me about 5 minutes for the next question to load though.

flytheskies
12th Nov 2013, 09:41
I have been through the screening questions about 4 times this morning. The amount of questions, coupled with the slow response-rate of the site is driving me mad.

Has anyone else been getting the same message that they 'have already submitted a response' to the programme?

Apparently I have applied already for the 2013 intake- but I haven't. :ugh:

Im trying directly through an FTO. I will update as to whether it works or not.

Finally, has anyone contacted and had a response to the email address used to solve technical issues?

flytheskies
12th Nov 2013, 09:45
This is the message I keep getting!

Already applied candidate

You have already applied for this position.
Back to Search Current Opportunities

I HAVEN'T!!!! :ugh:

:mad:

adelta
12th Nov 2013, 09:59
While everyone is still having problems with the site and maybe having to wait a little before trying again, does anyone have any thoughts re the FTO selection as per my previous post?

Thank you :)

V_J
12th Nov 2013, 10:24
I've just been offered selection at my selection training centre...only submitted my application about an hour ago. Can't believe it. :}

flytheskies
12th Nov 2013, 10:28
Cool.

Well done.

Which FTO are you going to?

LadyL2013
12th Nov 2013, 10:46
Congratulations VJ!

Does this not mean then, that it may be important to process apps quickly if they are already selecting people?

I still can't get past employment history as the system is so slow. Really don't want to miss out!

gordonquinn
12th Nov 2013, 10:47
Managed to get my application in through an FTO, only took 2 hours! Luckily I had most of my stuff saved from last year so saved me some time.

Good luck to all who applied/are applying.

V_J
12th Nov 2013, 10:50
Thanks.

I spoke to my FTO (who I don't really want to mention publicly because some ex-colleages have already figured out who I am somehow!) who assured me that when you got it in had nothing to do with it.

flytheskies
12th Nov 2013, 10:52
I managed to get on. Now I've joined the metaphorical queue in ploughing through this application.

It would be so easy if there wasn't so much traffic!:zzz:

Jaair
12th Nov 2013, 11:24
For those of you who have their status set on hold; I phoned BA and they told me it should be fixed within the next 24 hours. If it's not, then you should phone them.

flytheskies
12th Nov 2013, 11:30
When you say you Managed to get my application in through an FTO

do you mean you managed to submit your application or that you have been offered an assessment?

gordonquinn
12th Nov 2013, 12:09
flytheskies (http://www.pprune.org/members/398035-flytheskies), just submitted

flygirlhopeful
12th Nov 2013, 12:18
Was anyone's additional questions just one question about getting a New Zealand Visa, it seems really short for a section (I think this is the one I meant earlier)

gordonquinn
12th Nov 2013, 12:18
Got an invite to OAA assessment :)

Please note that the £250 selection fee is non-refundable once you have made your
booking. Hence, it is important that you ensure you will be able to attend on the selected date prior to making your booking

Just to check, this is normal isn't it?

flytheskies
12th Nov 2013, 12:20
I wish I could get nearly to that stage!

I have been sitting here for close to 3 hours now and haven't been able to get past the Qualifications section.

I need the patience of a saint and some encouragement.

Glad you got yours sorted gordonquinn :)

gordonquinn
12th Nov 2013, 12:22
flygirlhopeful (http://www.pprune.org/members/421456-flygirlhopeful) yes mine was one question about getting a US visa, that was it

flytheskies (http://www.pprune.org/members/398035-flytheskies) you will get there! ... eventually! :ugh: :ok:

flygirlhopeful
12th Nov 2013, 12:24
Thank you! I feel much happier now! It is normal for you to pay for your assessment day and congrats for getting your application in! :)

Petford25
12th Nov 2013, 12:24
Hi guys,

I've been trying to get on to the Application page for a good few hours now. I am aware that the site is slow due to the great demand, but reading that some of you are still fighting through the questions makes me wonder;
are applications now closed to those trying to access for the first time, and you are only allowed in if you have already begun your application?

Thanks for your help!

Scrookie
12th Nov 2013, 13:02
Petford 25,

No, read Lindsay Craig's post

flytheskies
12th Nov 2013, 13:04
I just got off the phone to BA Resources (HR).

They said they are aware of the demand on the site and are trying to get it up and running smoothly as soon as possible.

They advised me to try again tomorrow.

are applications now closed to those trying to access for the first time, and you are only allowed in if you have already begun your application?

No. I wouldn't worry about that. They said they would let all applicants know by email (with 48 hours notice) if they close the process early due to demand.

Just hang tight and join me on my quest for patience! :mad::mad::mad::ugh:

Petford25
12th Nov 2013, 13:12
Just hang tight and join me on my quest for patience!

Alrighty, thanks. And good luck to all those applying!

LadyL2013
12th Nov 2013, 13:25
I'm in the same boat flytheskies! It's been hours and not even done 1 section!

flytheskies
12th Nov 2013, 13:31
Im putting this application to rest for now. This is a :mad: joke!

BenMcGrath
12th Nov 2013, 14:09
Hi everyone

I'm trying to complete my application (it's very slow though!) I'm a bit stuck with the qualifications part though.

Basically, I'm currently completing a degree, while I won't have completed it before sending the application off, I will have finished it before training would commence if I was to be successful, is there anyway I can put this onto my application?

Another thing, I did a BTEC National Diploma in college which is officially equivalent to 3 A-Levels, however I don't know if BA will still accept a BTEC as an equivalent, what should I do?

gordonquinn
12th Nov 2013, 14:25
flytheskies, sorry to hear you're not having luck :(

At least they have acknowledged the issues but there's nothing more annoying than hanging around waiting for something!

adelta
12th Nov 2013, 14:26
It's not very good for the flow of an application when you have to keep stopping and starting.

Perhaps they should run a cadet scheme for some new IT Support staff :E

It's not as though the volume of traffic is taking them by surprise...

neilje12
12th Nov 2013, 15:22
I called HR today and was told that the problem isn't simply the demand levels - they have IT issues too. They should be fixed, hopefully by tomorrow apparently. I was impressed how quickly I got through and my other, main query was addressed well.

Lindsay Craig has also offered an explanation on here too.

flygirlhopeful
12th Nov 2013, 15:24
@BenMcGrath When you put your degree in you can put the grade you expect to get and the expected graduation date in the dates tab that's hidden to the right of the page. I believe they also have the option to put in your BTEC in the qualifications you just need to state if it's a diploma, certificate or award

adelta
12th Nov 2013, 15:57
OK, I'll rephrase my earlier question.

Do you get an equal shot at all three FTOs?

If one gets significantly more applicants than the others are you not placed at an immediate disadvantage??

:confused:

V_J
12th Nov 2013, 16:31
For those of you struggling with the website - it took me 22 hours (with about 5 hours sleep) to finish my application from start to finish. I finished around 6am this morning and submitted around 10am after doing a load of proof reading.

I suggest you get on the site and look ahead to the additional questions and start writing your answers so you can just copy and paste, may as well be doing something whilst you're waiting.

Good luck to you all.

G-F0RC3
12th Nov 2013, 16:31
adelta; We had this conversation some pages ago. :) My opinion was (and still is) that it doesn't make a significant difference. The reason being that irrespective of which FTO you choose, you'd still be up against the best candidates from the other schools at the final BA day anyway (should you get that far).

flytheskies
12th Nov 2013, 16:35
Thanks for the advice V_J.

I'm still here plodding along.

I hope this goes as well as it has done for those of you posting successful assessment day offerings!

Fingers crossed.

:ok:

adelta
12th Nov 2013, 16:36
G-FORC3, thank you, I obviously didn't go back far enough :)

So, that implies that each FTO sends a different number of applicants forward to BA. Which is fine if it is true.

adelta
12th Nov 2013, 16:42
I imagine VJ that the FTOs have no personal limit on how many people they will take to their assessment day - after all they will get paid £200 - £210 per person so why would they limit the numbers....as long as you meet their initial criteria.

Which still makes me think you would be at a disadvantage if you pick the most popular FTO! :ugh:

I first applied to BA 16 years ago (ish), got through to the final stage, and there was none of this pay to be assessed business then. I'm not sure it is sitting very well with me. Especially as they are giving out dates already - what's their real criteria? Bums on seats = lots of fees? :*

"Cattle market" is springing to mind, but maybe that's because I'm older, and grumpier. :}

V_J
12th Nov 2013, 17:04
Absolutely Adelta I agree, I'm still chuffed though!

adelta
12th Nov 2013, 17:17
Exactly my thinking, and that's what I am wrestling with at the moment.

The process should be more transparent IMO - for a start, what numbers go through from each FTO? When they split the numbers evenly through the FTOs (which is what I believe they do) there is no way this whole process can be evenly weighted.

And congratulations, you should be chuffed of course!

I've been banging my head against the web servers for so long now, I've changed my mind about the FTO but it's probably too late to do anything about it!! :{

V_J
12th Nov 2013, 17:21
My advice mate. Walk away,finish your answers, and go back at 3am.

The other chap I know who has his selection date already submitted his at 02:00. The website was running fine at 05:00. It's probably a nightmare for work for you guys but honestly it'l save you 10 hours of your life if you go back off peak time. (unless BA are going to shut it overnight to try and sort it out).

G-F0RC3
12th Nov 2013, 17:21
I don't think they do split the numbers evenly between the FTOs. That's an illogical approach and would almost certainly mean selecting some inferior candidates based entirely on the FTOs they came from. It should be entirely about how the candidates perform, and have nothing to do with anything else. That's why I think BA select the best from the applications all three FTOs send them. Picking the best applications is the only way to ensure you get the best candidates.

Bearcat F8F
12th Nov 2013, 17:24
V_J

Which FTO did you apply to if it's not a secret? It's rather difficult to believe people are getting invites for Stage 2 already.

adelta
12th Nov 2013, 17:27
G-F0RC3, that's why I'm like a dog with a bone over this:

On Jerez's site:

"Each of the three ATO’s are allocated a one third share of the available British Airways Future Pilot Programme vacancies."

One third each. Illogical.

The only way it could be fair, is if you don't necessarily get your first choice of FTO.

neilje12
12th Nov 2013, 17:31
V_J

My experience of last year suggests that phase 2 assessment dates will ONLY be offered once the application window closes. This was borne out when I contacted my chosen FTO today. They informed me that that dates had not even been finalised as they are a long way off.

BA confirmed last year that there will be no disadvantage to submitting an application right up to the deadline - which sounds logical.

Not saying you're lying but you may be confused.

BerksFlyer
12th Nov 2013, 17:32
The number of cadets was not evenly split last year. I think there's a propensity for the FTOs to say there is an even split to make them appear equal in the eyes of applicants. Remember this is BA's scheme, they make the decisions.

neilje12
12th Nov 2013, 17:34
adelta

I saw this too. But it is a mistake.

The best 60 will be chosen, wherever they have selected.

chocsaway08
12th Nov 2013, 17:34
I'm still really struggling to open the application subsections, nothing will load!

The minimal functionality that i had yesterday has completely failed today. :uhoh:

adelta
12th Nov 2013, 17:40
BerksFlyer, good point well made - personally I think they should be vetted by BA before they are allowed to make swinging statements!

Do you know then if each FTO sends different numbers through to BA to choose from?

Because that would make sense.

V_J
12th Nov 2013, 17:45
Bearcat: I don't really want to give any details about myself out. As I say some ex colleagues already know who I am based on VJ (christ knows how).

BA will no doubt be monitoring this forums over the coming weeks.

Out of the 5 close friends I have who have applied, two have selections dates now so it's clear that things have very much started. I would be amazed if this application window is open in 3 weeks time, unless they are doing it in phases.

G-F0RC3
12th Nov 2013, 18:44
I would be amazed if this application window is open in 3 weeks time...

I would too, considering the application window is supposed to close on 26th November.

chocsaway08
12th Nov 2013, 18:55
Can anybody help with the Please enter the month and year the qualification was awarded or is expected to be awarded. box that isn't there but is very insistent that you cannot move forward without it?

V_J
12th Nov 2013, 19:00
Sorry G-F0rc3

The 3 is next to the 2 on my keyboard I can only apologise. ;-)

neilje12,

Dear ***

Thank you for your application for the British Airways Future Pilot Programme. Having reviewed your application we are delighted to invite you forward to attend Stage 1 of the selection process at ****.

Attached you will find a letter detailing the next steps and an overview of what you can expect when you visit us.

Congratulations and we look forward to meeting you.

Yours sincerely

I'm not lying or confused. I assume things are different to last year. I've booked my place, paid already and have my confirmation e-mail. I assure you I am not lying, I've got better things to do than that. I just came on here to get a little advice and try to help a few people out if I could.

As I've said before I have spoken to both BA and my chosen FTO and both have said there is no advantage whatsoever applying first or last. I'm very pleased that is the case too because otherwise the process would be extremely unfair.

adelta
12th Nov 2013, 19:25
Congrats again V_J :)

I have decided to withdraw my app.....and change FTO!

We'll see if it lets me do that, in about 16 hours I expect :eek:

G-F0RC3
12th Nov 2013, 19:31
The 3 is next to the 2 on my keyboard...

Surely not... ? What kind of keyboard is that? Can I buy one on Amazon? ;)

guitardude4
12th Nov 2013, 19:35
I had to log on with my iPad to get the full form inputs to display correctly so that I could enter the dates.
If you have one I'd give that a try.

Bearcat F8F
12th Nov 2013, 20:45
Can anybody help with the Quote:
Please enter the month and year the qualification was awarded or is expected to be awarded.
box that isn't there but is very insistent that you cannot move forward without it? I'm stuck on this too right now. A bit of a stale mate.

Any help to get round this issue would be appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT: guitardude4 (http://www.pprune.org/members/150848-guitardude4), that did the trick! Thanks a lot :ok:

flygirlhopeful
12th Nov 2013, 21:07
Try using a different internet browser, when I switched from Chrome to Internet Explorer the boxes for dates magically appeared

patryan
12th Nov 2013, 22:04
Just finished my application after a good 7-8 hours of work and problems with the website, o well hope things go positive.

BenMcGrath
12th Nov 2013, 22:22
@BenMcGrath When you put your degree in you can put the grade you expect to get and the expected graduation date in the dates tab that's hidden to the right of the page. I believe they also have the option to put in your BTEC in the qualifications you just need to state if it's a diploma, certificate or award

Thank you! But will it be a disadvantage to me that the degree isn't finished or that I have the BTEC and NOT the A-Levels? Should I call BA?

Thanks

Captain_Bolt
13th Nov 2013, 01:08
I'm having trouble with the website too.

I logged in via CTC (which redirected me to GlobalSuccessor) and then it said I had already submitted an application !? My heart skipped a few beats to say the least...

I then logged in via the BA website and everything came up just fine. Only problem is, my application is showing as being "On Hold" and I'm not able to answer the application questions???

I am not sure what to do any help would be appreciated...

PPLNICK
13th Nov 2013, 10:50
Hi, Is anyone else in the same boat as me? I have been offered a Stage 1 interview but they have only given me 2 dates both of which I'm out of the country at a funeral. I've written to the FTO but wondering if anyone else was in the same position.

G-F0RC3
13th Nov 2013, 11:14
Are the dates you were offered in December? If so, which FTO is that please?

patryan
13th Nov 2013, 11:22
How long does it take to get a reply from Ba? I finished my application at half nine last night.

Captain_Bolt
13th Nov 2013, 11:52
Is anybody still having issues with the website?

I'm still having problems...

momo95
13th Nov 2013, 12:15
I've been able to easily access all stuff today thank god.

Now my issue is regards to the irish leaving cert BBC equivalent. The issue is that points wise (bbc= 280 ucas pts) i exceed it as i've got 291 pts meaning i should qualify. However the bafpp lists a bbc as being 5 grade B's for the leaving cert, whereas i've got 3 B's and 2 C's meaning i shouldn't qualify, but which will naric follow as ultimately ba will listen to them.
Ive tried to contact them the past 2 days but can't get through (it's engaged) i don't want to waste money by sending them an application if i know beforehand that i don't make it. Does anyone else know ?
And yes i'm aware it's been discussed already but maybe with so many new joiners someone might know from them.
Thank you,

patryan
13th Nov 2013, 12:38
My issue is the same as yours im from Ireland and when going through the process of filling in my results I felt that I did incorrect, I spent a long time completing the application.

rojocrv
13th Nov 2013, 13:21
For the irish leaving cert, this is based on what NAIRC sent me 3 years ago, so please contact them for confirmation
A higher level subject in the leaving cert is equivialnt to the A level grade in the uk. Therefore say you get a B in History, this is equivilant to a B in your A levels. So Momo if the results you mentioned are higher level you should be good

squird02
13th Nov 2013, 14:12
As for the confusion regarding results and entry requirements. If NARIC confirm that you have the equivalent results then you're all set to go and submit your application. If you are unsure but you think that you have probably met the requirements, then you may as well submit your application anyway. You will still have time to contact NARIC in the meantime and your application won't cost you anything until you actually book your assessment. I assume that BA will assess your qualifications during the initial screening process and therefore if you are invited to the assessment stage then you should be quite confident that you ok to proceed.

I have a query about the assessment day at OAA. According to their website, the assessment day will consist of computer based testing, group exercises and a formal interview, all conducted in one day. Does anybody know if this is definitely the case? If so, this is different to last year whereby the assessment was split over 2 different days (first day computer based testing, and second day consisted of group exercises and interview and was conditional to passing day 1).

momo95
13th Nov 2013, 14:30
Thanks for the advice, but the problem is that points wise we're fine (280 ucas pts). The confusion is why ba have said they need 5 B's at L.C. when that exceeds a bbc at a-level.

irishoperator
13th Nov 2013, 14:54
Re the above discussion about qualifications - it's not always true that BA will take the NARIC viewpoint i.e.

BA don't take what NARIC say certain IB grades are equivalent to in UCAS points - they want higher IB grades

I'd email BA to check if I was you

irishoperator
13th Nov 2013, 15:02
@ momo95 - see my response above - BA don't assign all qualifications equal value - for those who take certain qualifications they want better grades in those qualifications than you should need.

Seems bizarre to be honest.

momo95
13th Nov 2013, 15:05
I will e-mail them, thanks for the info

snakey-111
13th Nov 2013, 16:20
Has anyone been given an assessment date for CTC yet?

Thanks

Jaair
13th Nov 2013, 16:37
Anyone else's application still on hold? Can't respond to the application questions.

momo95
13th Nov 2013, 18:06
I asked the question on the ctc fb page and was told to go by the ba fpp website meaning i don't qualify :( but it makes no sense as 5 grade B's in the LC far exceeds a bbc at a-level.

Captain_Bolt
13th Nov 2013, 18:59
JAAair,

Yep my application is "on hold"...

BenMcGrath
13th Nov 2013, 21:14
I've discovered that my BTEC can be accepted as an equivalent qualification which is brilliant :D

I do however have another question, in the application questions part, it gives a word limit of 500, is that for each subquestion, or is that 500 words collectively?

Thanks

A_M
13th Nov 2013, 22:16
Does anyone know how to resolve the problem of the application being "On Hold"? Or have we just to wait until BA amend the problem?

Been trying to finish my application since Monday but it wont let me answer the application questions :ugh:

Many Thanks!

miguelbmiranda
14th Nov 2013, 09:07
Does anybody has an idea about how it works the finnancial guarantee of BA for non uk candidates?

Captain_Bolt
14th Nov 2013, 09:35
I assumed it is 500 words for the whole section (A,b & c).

I am guessing that 500 words for each sub section would take you over the 5000 character limit.

Jaair
14th Nov 2013, 10:15
It's 500 words for question 1 a) b) c) and then another 500 words for question 2 a) b).

It's been 48 hours since I last called and my application status still hasn't been modified. I'll call them again later today.

JonEverton
14th Nov 2013, 10:37
I've been watching this thread with interest

It strikes me as a bit odd that some people are reporting as having been invited for the interview / selection tests when the scheme was open for less than a day or two? ? ?

theflyingkai
14th Nov 2013, 12:47
I've also received an invitation for selection at my FTO, so it seems they are sending invitations before the application deadline closes.

747craze
14th Nov 2013, 13:38
Best of luck to all applying! Got my confirmation through! Have many other received the good news?

G-F0RC3
14th Nov 2013, 14:02
Confirmation of what? That your application has been received or an invitation to an assessment day? :) Good luck with whichever it is!

Jaair
14th Nov 2013, 14:05
Where on earth do you submit the two questions which require maximum 500 words each? Where is the supposed "answer" link to each question?

G-F0RC3
14th Nov 2013, 14:06
Which browser are you using? I see the links on Firefox. :cool:

Jaair
14th Nov 2013, 14:24
Working on Firefox, thank you. For anyone else who might experience this problem, I was using Chrome.

747craze
14th Nov 2013, 14:39
G-FORC3 - it's an invitation for the assessment day :D have you applied?

G-F0RC3
14th Nov 2013, 14:49
Oh good - well done! Which FTO did you apply to?

No I haven't applied yet. I'm still preparing my answers to the questions. ;)

Jaair
14th Nov 2013, 15:32
Congrats 747craze!

LadyL2013
14th Nov 2013, 15:34
As people are already receiving invites, is it more of a case of answer the questions correctly/to a suitable level and you get an invite, or do you think they are actually not inviting people even if they do answer suitably?

Also as there are currently 2 dates (with limited capacity), do they intend to add more dates if there is a larger number of successful applicants? I don't see how they can possibly assess all the applications if one of the days is on the closing date???

G-F0RC3
14th Nov 2013, 15:39
I think it varies from one FTO to another, but I highly doubt anyone who answers the questions "suitably" will be refused an invitation (unless they don't meet the entry requirements). It does seem bizarre that they are inviting people to selection days before the closing date. However, I'm absolutely confident that if you take your time and submit an excellent application before it closes then you'll have no problems getting to an initial selection day, even if you are the 6000th person to apply.

747craze
14th Nov 2013, 16:23
G-FORC3 - it took me days to plan the answers but I'm assuming that if they're to a sufficient level, then you're in?

I applied to OAA, where are you looking to go?

Jaair - thank you, I'm sure you'll do just fine when or if you've applied :)

G-F0RC3
14th Nov 2013, 16:35
I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these sorts of things. :) I'm pretty convinced that my answers will be good enough in their current form to get to an assessment day, but I'm happy to wait another few days to make a few finishing touches. :p

After careful consideration over the past few months I've decided to apply via FTE. Anyone else applied through FTE? If so, any idea when their assessment days are (Dec or Jan)? :ok:

Jaair
14th Nov 2013, 17:47
I've got my application ready for submission but since I completed the "Supporting Questions" while my application was on hold it didn't count the section as complete so I didn't get a 'tick'. When I enter the section, it tells me it's completed. I'm guessing I'll have to call them tomorrow.

Anyone else had this problem?

Smokey Lomcevak
14th Nov 2013, 18:40
Regarding the answers to the application questions; I would suggest answering the to the best of your ability, and carefully considering what you would like to include.

During my assessment process 2 years ago, the answers formed a key component of the overall picture that I presented as an applicant. They were also referred to at both interview stages.

It is not simply a case of "pass - move on to the next round". They will be looked at again, and, should you make it to Heathrow, they will be critical.

In fact, when you think about it, it is the only voice you have in the boardroom when the big decisions are being made - Your interview is not transcribed; your test scores are just that. So I would suggest putting some thought in about what you'd like to include and to what level of detail. If you need to research, then make it so. The word limits are quite restrictive. Re-read what you have written. Make it better. Leave it overnight, and repeat.

Take your time with it. Yes - BA may close the application window early, and have done so before, however there invariably is a warning email sent to registered applicants to fell you to got it submitted. There is no rush.

Good luck.

Runway 37
14th Nov 2013, 20:24
"Closing Date: 28th November 2013
Please note that the closing date has been extended to 23.59 on Thursday 28th November to take into account the systems issues experienced on Monday and Tuesday."

Not really an indication they're closing the application early... I'm taking my time as well :)

BenMcGrath
14th Nov 2013, 23:14
With reference to part B of question 2 of the application questions, I am a little concerned as to whether I should be using examples of my behaviour from in or out of the workplace, do you guys think it matters what types of examples I use?

Thanks

Scrookie
15th Nov 2013, 00:07
About those questions that are so important and everyone is talking about them... Can anyone tell me the questions so I can practice an answer to them before starting my application?

Scrookie
15th Nov 2013, 08:48
The reason I asked that is because I thought that we could have access to the questions offline. I think I read this somewhere. I totally understand your point of view as it is my point of view too.

squird02
15th Nov 2013, 08:58
Scrookie- although I'm not too sure if we can post the questions in the application on the forum (somebody did this the other day and I think a mod removed the post), you can work on them offline.

I would suggest registering on the BA website and 'start' your application. You will then have access to the essay style questions where you can work on your responses offline. You don't have to start your application and finish it in one go... you can save, modify and delete responses and keep going back to your application before you finally submit.

Scrookie
15th Nov 2013, 10:06
Thanks for the reply. I already started my application and I easily accessed the questions, so now I can work on them before submiting my application :)

BenMcGrath
15th Nov 2013, 10:28
Apologies if I hit a nerve, I understand what you're saying

flytheskies
15th Nov 2013, 11:20
Has anyone submitted their application (yesterday) and havent heard anything by way of acceptance/rejection yet?

I'm starting to get a bit nervous that I've heard nothing yet (other that the acknowledgement for submission)

chocsaway08
15th Nov 2013, 11:43
Flytheskies, which FTO?

mad_jock
15th Nov 2013, 12:03
It will take weeks to get anything other than received message.

I wouldn't be surprised if you hear after xmas unless your submission is particularly poor or you don't have the required qualifications or requirements.

G-F0RC3
15th Nov 2013, 12:10
Seemingly some have already received invitations to assessments mad jock. However, it seems to only be those who applied to OAA so far? Anyone from CTC or FTE get an invitation yet? :p

carltoncole
15th Nov 2013, 12:22
Not yet G-FORC3. Application submitted day before yesterday, I've only had the automated response so far.

chocsaway08
15th Nov 2013, 12:28
That seems to be the case. I applied to OAA yesterday and have been given my assessment date today.

flytheskies
15th Nov 2013, 13:12
I applied to CTC.

Heard nothing as yet.

I will keep you all informed if you like?

carltoncole
15th Nov 2013, 13:29
It would be safe to assume then that BA have set a bar and if your basic qualifications put you above that bar, you're in and if they don't, your not.

One would also assume this will be far higher than the minimum requirements advertised.

At this stage it won't be more than a simple yes or no based on your Degree, A Levels and GCSEs.

LadyL2013
15th Nov 2013, 16:20
Is the £250 a one off, or if you progress further will you be required to pay for further stages?

squird02
15th Nov 2013, 17:16
LadyL- The £250 is a one-off assessment fee. That includes all fees for the assessment at the FTO. If you are lucky enough to progress to BA head office stage, then you would do so at no further cost.

Andy4
15th Nov 2013, 19:28
Hi,

Has anybody else had the problem of inputting their degree in the qualifications section?

I only have the option to put in my degree, result and type, yet it is saying I cannot save it and reads as follows...

Please enter the month and year the qualification was awarded or is expected to be awarded.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers.

Tray Surfer
15th Nov 2013, 23:20
I am not applying... Just work on the other side of the FD door...

Best of luck to you all... Let me know how you take your tea and coffee if you get a yes! :)

carltoncole
16th Nov 2013, 08:21
Andy4. If you'd taken the time to read back over 3 whole pages, you'd have found the answer. :ugh:

However, I'm feeling kind. Try using different internet browsers such as chrome, firefox etc. People have also had luck with using an iPad or iPhone.

Chelmo
16th Nov 2013, 10:33
This is my first time applying for the FPP. I've applied through OAA who seem to be giving quick responses to applicants. I submitted my form yesterday and I'm wondering if I can expect a response today but considering it's the weekend I should probably be patient and not expect a response till next week?! If anyone hears from OAA today I would be grateful if you let me know! Thanks!

neilje12
16th Nov 2013, 11:32
I agree fully with G-F0RC3, Smokey Lomcevak & Runway_37 about taking your time.

Absolutely no point being the "first" one to submit your application - there will be no brownie points given. What matters is the fact that you have put together a carefully considered and thoughtful response to the questions. I fail to see how those that submitted within hours of the opening could have done that given that this years' questions are different. I still look at my application every day although it is ready, and I am still seeing things I want to change slightly.

Best advice would be don't rush

747craze
16th Nov 2013, 19:17
In the maths test at the selection process, does it go as far as polynomials and algebraic fractions or is it simple maths as far as flying is concerned?

:ok:

The Seat of Your Pants
16th Nov 2013, 22:30

I have had the same problem. Use the TAB key to move across the inputs, and once you tab across from the 'Other' box the dates miraculously appear! :ok:

bull699
17th Nov 2013, 16:35
So apparently there are some 'functionality tests' if you're over 6ft2. Anyone know what these are? I'm 6ft4 :ouch: