PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Future Pilot Programme.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

tornado11
10th Dec 2013, 16:18
Interested to know what CTC are looking for in terms of candidates
for selection, my son has just received a rejection email ,he has all the educational requirements ,has completed Air cadet Gliding and Flying Scholarships ,he has just finished 4 years in the University Air Squadron
with flying experience aged 22 ,first time applicant ,maybe the Essay?
applied a couple of days before deadline.

Tomahawkgirl
10th Dec 2013, 16:29
Finally got my email. Very happy to have been accepted.

Anyone else booked for the 18th at CTC? :)

pilotwy
10th Dec 2013, 17:00
@Tomahawkgirl I realise you are from Scotland. What transportation do you intend on taking when going down to England?

W1ll93
10th Dec 2013, 17:07
Also received my email from CTC today, very happy to have been accepted to stage 1. I found my email hidden in my Junk Mail. Definitely check there if you still have heard anything back.
Anyone else having an issue logging on, to book the assessment date with CTC? I keep getting "Invalid logon details, please try again" error message...

G-F0RC3
10th Dec 2013, 17:21
tornado11; I think if your son has the minimum academic entry requirements then it's safe to say that that wasn't the reason for the rejection. Therefore, it's probably in relation to how he answered the multi-choice questions and/or the extended response questions.

Tomahawkgirl; congratulations and good luck! :ok:

timbuck2
10th Dec 2013, 17:43
@W1ll93 You've got to do the password reset, I had the same issue. :ok:

timbuck2
10th Dec 2013, 17:46
@am59fly Tell me about it! I live on the Isle of Wight but work in London, so I'm getting up bright and early to get the early boat, then heading up to London afterwards. So happily no need for accommodation! :cool:

am59fly
10th Dec 2013, 18:07
Anyone travelling from Scotland, there are direct flights from Glasgow to Southampton operated by Flybe. They seem to be daily which is good.

Tomahawkgirl
10th Dec 2013, 19:58
@pilotwy
I'm flying from Inverness to Southampton via Manchester. Flight times worked out pretty good. Flying back to Glasgow and just bussing it home :)

@G-F0RC3 Thanks! :D

EZY_FR
10th Dec 2013, 22:43
Joesimpson
I was well above the requirements, so I guess it was all due to the essay and multi-choice questions. Doesn't help when they don't give you feedback on where you went wrong in the past.

Dreamer380
It is a major coincidence, but two of my mates who applied before the deadline(one of them the week before) also received rejections today, so I doubt it is to do with the timing of the submission. One of them actually made it to the final stage of the process last year. :/

G-F0RC3
Thanks for your kind words, but I don't have as much confidence in the future pilot growth predictions as CTC.

Although it is painful not to get to the next stage after putting so much work in, I wish you all the very best in the next stage.I will be following this thread to hopefully hear good news from such a good bunch of fellow wannabes :ok:.

tcm1707
10th Dec 2013, 22:54
I'm heading down from Glasgow too. Going to book the 19th. Although, the 18th seems to be the day for the Scots. :)

tcm1707
10th Dec 2013, 22:55
Not really a lot of notice given from CTC though. Might have to pull a sickie from work!

champair79
10th Dec 2013, 23:33
You've got to do the password reset, I had the same issue.

timbuck2,

Clicked the "Forgot password" link. The system sent me my details again. I logged in - then discovered it was last year's application!

Where's the password reset? Is it the same thing? Might ring CTC and see if they can reset my account. Slightly worried as next week is going to be mega-busy at work so I need to book ASAP and try and plan my days around it.

Yobier
11th Dec 2013, 08:18
Got a rejection from CTC. Can only guess why.
Perhaps because my vocabulary, I'm Dutch and competing with born and raised English folks might a bit to much.

Good luck to everyone and don't forget to enjoy the experience!

timbuck2
11th Dec 2013, 08:33
@champair79

It's just under the login box "Forgotten your Application No. or Password? then click here". I would give them a ring anyway, as things seem to be moving pretty fast with CTC!

saibers
11th Dec 2013, 09:01
@Yobier

Well, I am from Latvia, however, got invited to OAA. Concerning English I definitely can't compete with native speakers.

apm18991
11th Dec 2013, 11:39
Serial lurker here. Is anyone booked to stay at Dale Farm House on Tuesday 17th? Just got off the phone with a very helpful lady who told me that a number of CTC applicants have already booked themselves in. If so, look out for a shorter chap with a northern accent...:ok:

chris-streeter
11th Dec 2013, 13:13
Hi,

I replied last minute and got an invite! And i mean about 10 minutes before the second extended deadline.

So I don't believe that the timing of your application is important.

Has anyone tried ****************** to prepare? I'm thinking of signing up.

so anyone with any feedback, I'd liek to hear your thoughts!

Also I may book the 19th, has anyone else?

am59fly
11th Dec 2013, 15:47
Was thinking of booking Dale Farmhouse on the night of the 15th (assessment at 0900 on 16th). Is anyone else going on the 16th booking here ?

Chelmo
11th Dec 2013, 17:20
Question to anyone who has been to a recent OAA assessment day - Have you been told when we can expect to find out if we made it to the next round or not?

On my assessment day they just said no news is good news. No indication of when we may hear back from them.

Recently read on here that they're now telling candidates not to expect hearing anything before Xmas.

Difficult to switch off and forget about this, even though it will probably be a while before they start sending out results!

G-F0RC3
11th Dec 2013, 17:28
I don't see how they can respond until they've assessed everyone? At least assuming they compare everyone against everyone else when determining who to invite to the next stage. On that basis I imagine we'll not be hearing anything until at least late January.

However, perhaps they are doing it a different way? I'm sure they will know the ones they don't want long before they know the ones they do want. :)

Chelmo
11th Dec 2013, 17:42
Yes, assuming they can only put forward 100 and they have probably already assessed over 100 candidates, if they've ranked all candidates they've assessed so far then they should know several that won't be making it already by now. But I agree they can't tell anyone they've made it through yet till they finish assessing everyone.

V_J
11th Dec 2013, 18:36
Question to anyone who has been to a recent OAA assessment day - Have you been told when we can expect to find out if we made it to the next round or not?

On my assessment day they just said no news is good news. No indication of when we may hear back from them.

Recently read on here that they're now telling candidates not to expect hearing anything before Xmas.

Difficult to switch off and forget about this, even though it will probably be a while before they start sending out results!

I was at the first interview day at OAA. We were told we would hear "within a week" and have heard nothing as of yet. Friends who went on the second day were told the same.

They have an admin nightmare with the amount of extremely capable people who have applied who need to be sorted. I'm not expecting a reply anymore till mid January to be honest.

LadyL2013
11th Dec 2013, 18:55
We were told 2 separate things. One woman said 'no news is good news and generally if you hear within a week or two it tends to mean you have nowhere near met all of the standards' and another guy said to us he couldn't give us a time but would try to let us all know ASAP and realistically not to expect a response before Christmas.

V_J
11th Dec 2013, 19:23
All I'd say to that is that no news can't be good news if no ones heard any news. ;)

flygirlhopeful
11th Dec 2013, 22:31
The wait is killing me!

Chelmo
11th Dec 2013, 23:22
VJ, I agree it is probably very difficult for them to rank everyone. This is my first time applying but I've read on here that in previous years some candidates are still offered to join Oxford's self-funded ATPL program, so I guess they have to carefully check if everyone meets their requirements for their program before checking which candidates are the best of the best to go for BA's assessment.

BigOllyG
13th Dec 2013, 14:47
I had the stage 2 interview on Tuesday, and found it to be a great day (don't know how i'll fair but huge fingers crossed!!!). I met some really great people there and it's good to see how like-minded everyone I spoke to was.

There was strong competition and everyone I met was really focused and are clearly some switched on cookies! However seemed like a fantastic bunch of guys and girls and I wish them all luck!

The day it's self was very well organised and all the assesors and staff at OAA were very helpful and put me completely at ease so hope everyone else has the same experience.

Good luck all and hope to see you on the other side!

Prasopchai
14th Dec 2013, 11:18
Greetings all, newbie here. Firstly just want to say thanks to everyone who's contributed to this discussion; I did encounter submission issues like others and having read the info posted here has helped immensely. :ok: I've managed to submit my application and I've got an invitation to CTC on the 18th. Best of luck to everyone else!

@Tomahawkgirl

Great to see someone else on that day! Are you in the afternoon or morning?

Scrookie
14th Dec 2013, 14:13
Anyone going to Hounslow for the December 16 assessment at 08:30??

DavidC83
15th Dec 2013, 11:41
Hi there,

I'm booked onto the ctc assessment tomorrow morning and just found an email in my junk stating it's for non uk residents only which I don't recall it stating when I booked it. It also doesn't say this on the website where my booking is confirmed.

Is anyone else here attending the assessment tomorrow and have you had the same email?

am59fly
15th Dec 2013, 17:06
Hi David, I am booked on tomorrows assessment, but I didn't get that email. It seems strange that they would have a separate day for non-uk residents, especially as you need to have the right to live/work in the uk to apply.

Where are you staying tonight ?

DavidC83
15th Dec 2013, 17:21
Thanks for reply. I live reasonably close by (well, closer than Scotland) so travelling in the morn. Reassuring to hear you haven't had that email as makes me think it was an error. Have sent you a private message

747craze
15th Dec 2013, 18:56
Anyone been sucessful to stage 3 yet?

beng123
15th Dec 2013, 23:30
Yes, i've been invited to the 3rd stage with ctc, pretty happy right now

am59fly
16th Dec 2013, 05:52
@beng123, Congratulations, How long after your stage 2 day did you hear ?

squird02
16th Dec 2013, 08:48
Has anybody heard anything from OAA yet after their assessment day?

Tomahawkgirl
16th Dec 2013, 13:42
@Prasopchai

Congrats on the invite :)
I've booked the afternoon slot. What about you?

Prasopchai
16th Dec 2013, 21:56
@Tomahawkgirl

Yes, I'm in the afternoon as well :) no doubt I'll most likely bump into you! I'll be staying with relatives in Portsmouth the night before though and will immediately return home after the assessment . What about you?

EB747
16th Dec 2013, 22:47
@squird02

Nothing yet, but not really expecting anything before Christmas. We were told that 'no news is good news', so fingers crossed.

flytheskies
17th Dec 2013, 08:28
Great day all round.

trtj
17th Dec 2013, 15:11
Lets take *** as an example. They have been running 1st assessments since late November. I was told on one day they had over 25 people being tested on one day.

Now i hear they are still booking days up to mid Jan.

A massive money making exercise for the FTO at £250 a pop, I will let you do the math. They certainly operate differently to your standard graduate assessment days... Bar money I honestly can't see for any other reason why they are taking on so many candidates for 1st assessments. Stricter vetting of 1st applications would've done the trick.

Out of fairness, they cannot possibly start awarding 3rd stage offers until after the last assessments, say mid Jan. Unless they are particularly sinister :D

Maybe those who simply didn't meet the aptitude cut will be let down before Christmas or already have been. But if you're still in the running, I wouldn't hold out hope to hear until mid Jan. I am not.

Merry Christmas anyway, and congratulations to everyone who has attended thus far. It certainly is a stressful and gut wrenching week or so building up to your assessment.

junio
17th Dec 2013, 18:41
Hi PPruners,

I'm scheduled for interview with FTE in January. Have to admit I'm slightly nervous about it.

Would anyone here be able to tell me what I can expect at the interview, such as what kind of Q i can expect etc. Don't think anyone has been to the FTE interview yet so doubt I'm putting anyone at a disadvantage here.

On a final note.....anyone know a good place to stay in Hounslow?

EB747
17th Dec 2013, 19:34
@trtj

From what I've heard, there probably isn't a set number that each FTO can send to Waterside. Plus, I've heard that progressing to this stage is really based on each candidates performance against a standard. So, if this is all true, it makes sense that some have been invited already while others still wait for a stage two assessment.

As with everything on here though, this is just based on rumour.

@junio

I doubt you'll find many tips on here to b honest! To be fair, nobody who's been is going to put themselves at a disadvantage. Good luck at your assessment either way!

G-F0RC3
17th Dec 2013, 22:21
Coriolis is correct, there have been two assessment days at FTE already. One of the ladies said not to expect a response until Feb regarding the BA HQ stage. I won't share any of the specific details of the day as to not compromise the integrity of the process.

I was doing a few calculations. FTE are running their assessments from 16th Dec to 17th Jan inclusive. That gives approximately 20 or so feasible assessment days. Given that they are assessing 16 per day, that means they invited between 300 and 350 to stage one.

We were also told what EB747 said; if you're good enough at this first stage then you'll make it to BA HQ. Only thereafter are the places truly limited.

NotBoeing_NotGoing
17th Dec 2013, 23:33
Regarding fees, I have a interview scheduled for FTE on January 7th and was wondering where I can find the amount and whether I have to pay it in advance. I'm travelling overseas for this interview so I need to know if it needs to be in advance or not! Thanks!

Chelmo
17th Dec 2013, 23:43
G-FORC3, I've been told by staff at OAA that they have to rank all candidates and BA will tell them how many they can put forward for their assessment and it was around 100 last year for each FTO. So even if you pass the FTO's standards you still aren't guaranteed an assessment date with BA.

I have a question for anyone who has attended a CTC or FTE assessment, have you been told if you can get individual feedback on your assessment? OAA told us that they cannot do this, which I think is a big shame especially if you want to reapply in future

bluesky77
18th Dec 2013, 10:26
The instructions I received from FTE were quite clear in their email: You need to produce proof of payment at the assessment day so obviously, you need to have paid BEFORE attending the assessment. The email contained a link directing you to their payment engine.

I'm also attending on the 7th Jan so most probably see you there :)

junio
18th Dec 2013, 10:31
Thanks for the info,
I wasn't aware that FTE had started already. Best of luck to everyone that has already attended.

Cheers Coriolis Effect for the hotel info :ok:

bangaio
18th Dec 2013, 15:08
Oaa are sending out assessment day result emails already!

G-F0RC3
18th Dec 2013, 15:11
Did you get one? Good or bad news?

LastPastthePost
18th Dec 2013, 15:58
Here is what I got. Reading it is like a rollercoaster ride:

Thank you for attending your recent assessment for the British Airways Future Pilot Programme at the CAE Oxford Aviation Academy. We hope that you found the day challenging but enjoyable. As I am sure you will have realised from your time with us, not only are we seeing a large number of candidates but they are of exceptional quality.

I hope it was also apparent from the time you spent here, that customer service is very important to every one of us and for that reason we are writing to all of the candidates who we have seen so far. Understandably, waiting for news of the outcome of the assessment can be a very anxious time, particularly over Christmas and whilst we are not in a position to provide definitive answers in all cases, we can remove the anxiety, one way or the other, for some.

As of today, we have seen a little more than half of the candidates that we have invited for interview, in numbers terms that means that we have assessed several hundred against the British Airways criteria and as such we are in a position to make some decisions.

At this moment in time there are a number of candidates who have not met the British Airways criteria or that required for consideration for our own Airline Pilot Programme. Sadly we will not be taking these applications forward. We realise that those in this group will be very disappointed but we think it better that you know rather than be kept waiting for weeks until the end of the process.

There is a second group of candidates who have not met the very specific requirements of the British Airways programme; however we have assessed them as having the potential to train as an airline pilot through our APP FO course. Whilst these candidates will not be continuing with British Airways we would like to discuss their options with them.

Finally, there is a group of candidates who for the time being, remain in our considerations for British Airways, however we have several hundred more candidates to assess and a substantial number of those currently being considered will drop out of the mix as stronger candidates become available.

We have a limit on the number of candidates to present to British Airways and only the very best will make it onto our final list. If at this time we indicate to you that you are still in our considerations it does NOT mean that you have made it through to the final BA selection. We will be writing to you once we have assessed ALL of the candidates to advise whether or not you will be going forward.

in your particular case, I can advise you that your application is still under consideration. As I have clearly stated above, we still have a large number of candidates to assess and you should NOT take this letter as an indication that you will be going forward to the final selection.

PlaneVanilla
18th Dec 2013, 21:53
The OAA email is a courtesy to those who have been assessed so far - essentially, don't spend Christmas checking your inbox every hour to see if there's a note from BA Recruitment. It explains that some applicants have been rejected outright; some haven't met the criteria for progression on FPP but are invited to train with OAA outside the scheme; the remainder are still under consideration and can expect to hear something by the end of January.

Thankfully, I'm in the latter group and understand that I'm currently ranked highly enough to go through to BA HQ, but as other candidates are assessed and potentially ranked above me, I may find that I drop out of the cohort who are presented to BA.

OAA are being very transparent here and it is appreciated. I would be very surprised to hear of anybody getting a positive confirmation from OAA at this stage, given the contents of their email.

Flutter speed
19th Dec 2013, 08:00
For all that are going to the FTE assessemt in Hounslow, London. I stayed at the Civic Guest House, a simple but tidy place 5 min walking from the metro to Heathrow AND the assessment center (Civic Centre).

I highly enjoyed the assessment day, the FTE people are really nice and interactive.

timbuck2
19th Dec 2013, 09:18
CTC are sending out Stage 2 results already!

_flyer_
19th Dec 2013, 12:20
Yeah.. got my stage 2 result yesterday from CTC, didn't get through :{
Their mail suggested I could do a reassessment for CTC Wings in 6 months.

Chelmo
19th Dec 2013, 13:17
Anyone else who has had an assessment with OAA still waiting for their result or update on their situation? I have not heard anything from them yet.

Ispahan
19th Dec 2013, 14:39
OAA Stage 1 rejections are being sent...

MMcMTS
19th Dec 2013, 15:10
Good to hear everyone is getting a quick response, even if it isn't solid news, but just keeping in the loop. Lots of progress already it seems so already getting nervous but interview isn't until 9th Jan!
Anyone else for FTE afternoon that day?

squird02
19th Dec 2013, 15:23
@Chelmo I'm not sure if OAA are sending out their updates/outcomes in batches. I received mine yesterday afternoon informing me that I have met the requirements set by BA but as they can only send a limited number of candidates forward for final selection, the final decision can only be made once all candidates have been assessed in January.

Has anybody else received their updates from OAA or are most people still waiting?

trtj
19th Dec 2013, 15:45
Interesting! In terms of what oaa are saying of you fall under the second category then whats the extra criteria BA have over oaa for their fo app?

ryan1995
19th Dec 2013, 16:32
Sadly got my CTC rejection email yesterday after attending last Monday's session, although the email did state: 'Your performance in selection was to a standard that means you can be considered for reapplication for the CTC Wings Cadet programme in 6 months time.' So I shall give this some thought.
As for the assessment day, I found it to be a good afternoon with friendly people and even though I didn't progress I see it as valuable experience. Considering my age (just 18!) and the fact this was the first time I have applied I was pleased to even get as far as I did.

Good luck to everyone who still hasn't heard!

Abbey Road
19th Dec 2013, 21:06
'Your performance in selection was to a standard that means you can be considered for reapplication for the CTC Wings Cadet programme in 6 months time.'Be very careful about getting excited by this - it is CTC's way of getting you to pay them for a commercial license. They are now clearly aware of your wish to be a professional pilot and will happily strip you of a substantial amount of cash for the pleasure. And you don't have any guarantees of a job.

If you do follow their lead, you must ask them detailed and probing questions about where they will 'take' you.

flytheskies
19th Dec 2013, 21:59
I'm sorry to say that the conclusion I have drawn from stage 1 of this process is that it is a massive money making scheme. Churning through as many "hopefuls" as possible is a cruel way of making money. At £200 odd pounds a pop you'd think they'd be in a position to give feedback to any candidate that asked - but no. And to add insult to injury , they're not content with the measly £200 they got out of you - they want to get the full £84-£100k out of your pocket by insinuating that you 'scored well enough to be considered for a full license with CTC/OAA/FTE ...'

I have been left very disappointed by this process and feel it is all wrong in its approach and delivery. We are allowing these few schools - who dominate the market - to play on our hopes, wishes and dreams of becoming an airline pilot and -I'm sorry to say - shaft us out of as much money as possible. I am surprised that a reputable company such as BA would allow such practices and condone the herding of hundreds of dreamers through this who may have no hope in hell of ever seeing the controls of an aircraft.

Bealzebub
19th Dec 2013, 22:46
Then consider yourself lucky that you only spent £200 and go off and become a lawyer. Plenty of people who successfully complete these programmes go on to careers with other airlines and a few eventually go on to BA.

(£200 is about 20 minutes of a Barristers time!) ;)

G-F0RC3
19th Dec 2013, 23:08
Considering a couple of days ago you described your CTC assessment as "[a] Great day all round", why the sudden outburst now flytheskies? You may have some valid points, but your timing just comes across as sour grapes.

If you were well above the minimum entry requirements then how could CTC assume you had no chance of success prior to assessing you? Perhaps they do want to make a bit of money out of it, but if you do meet the minimum requirements and made a good application then I don't see how it would be fair on you to reject you in the first instance?

I knew prior to applying that a) it would cost me £200, b) it would be unlikely I'd make it past stage 1, and c) I wouldn't get any feedback, and therefore probably never know exactly why I didn't make it. But for this opportunity it's still well worth that risk. I haven't heard back from FTE yet, but I'm psychologically prepared for bad news. It's not that I was poor on the assessment day, it's just that the competition is high. We have to be honest with ourselves and try to learn from our experiences; instead of moaning about the whole process as if what has happened is some kind of great surprise and injustice.

No offense. :cool:

LastPastthePost
20th Dec 2013, 03:22
In some ways its a shame that Oxford and FTE don't split the days, so at least you could infer where it went wrong.

Ie if you fail at CTC day one, its because you didn't pass the tests or the other components of day 1. Or if you pass day one but don't get to final selection it is because you didn't do a good enough job on the interview..

Out of all the non mentored schemes, CTC wings does seem to have the strongest employment record and most vigorous selection..

I'm also guessing that the majority of BA pilots didnt join as cadets, which is by far the most competitive route.. So there are other ways to join BA once you get your licenses and experience.

Reflect where you can do better for next year and you will be stronger as a result.

wiggy
20th Dec 2013, 07:24
I'm sorry to say that the conclusion I have drawn from stage 1 of this process is that it is a massive money making scheme.

Welcome to the real world of aviation - all the FTOs are money making schemes, some more massive than others. I personally would rather the BA selection stage had not been run in partnership with the FTOs but there is no way in this day and age that BA are going to fund their own screening and/or run their own in house training courses for ab-initios, and frankly as an ab-initio your hand is going to be in your pocket at some point.

As others have said, there are other ways into BA. You need to take the long view and also accept some are even tougher/more selective ways into flying/the airlines/BA than the FPP/cadets, some paths are perhaps less selective but more expensive.

Reflect where you can do better for next year and you will be stronger as a result.

Sound advice.

Good Luck.

flytheskies
20th Dec 2013, 08:10
Thanks for the advice Wiggy.You are absolutely right. Its a double edge sword with this one - if the FTO's raise their minimum requirements, I would probably never have had the opportunity but as they are at the moment, there are far too many people getting through to stage one. I think the £200 fee is unfair at this stage. Post assessment would be a good time IMO to start charging for training.£200 to sit a paper maths exam and a carry out an exercise on an outdated, overused computer is a bit excessive.Thanks for all your advice along the way and good luck to anyone still in the process - maybe this is a case of sour grapes - I'll have to resort to wine making from now on.:)

G-F0RC3
20th Dec 2013, 10:39
I actually agree that they shouldn't be charging £200 at this stage in the process. If BA paid that for each invited applicant themselves, it would only cost them around £500,000 (or the cost of around six successful candidates' training).

But it's a pretty minor issue in my opinion. As someone who has paid more than £13,000 over the past three years on flying lessons, it's hardly a significant fee for the opportunity it provides. In fact, my PPL headset cost me a good lot more than £200. And given that if you are successful the vast bulk of the training costs involved are covered - as well as being offered as close to a guaranteed job as you're ever going to get in this industry (for the best airline in the world to boot :p) - it's a pretty amazing opportunity even with an initial price tag of £200.

Fostex
20th Dec 2013, 10:43
The £200 entry fee also ensures that the people applying are totally committed. If there was no charge associated then they would be flooded with applicants who had no intention of actually taking forward the application to the end.

Besides £200 is nothing in the world of aviation, I got my licences converted from JAR to EASA recently and ratings added and that cost more than £250 for the CAA to print me some new bits of paper!

tcm1707
20th Dec 2013, 12:15
Received my invitation to Stage 3 from CTC today. Had my assessment on Wednesday. Anyone else heard back?

squird02
20th Dec 2013, 12:40
@tcm1707 is that an invitation to final selection at BA? If so, have they provided any dates?

tcm1707
20th Dec 2013, 12:52
No, it's the interview and numerical reasoning test at CTC. I'm booked in on the 13th.

tcm1707
20th Dec 2013, 13:17
@EB747

According to CTC they are only sending the top percentile of applicants to Waterside. The top percentile must also meet the specific requirements set out by BA.

timbuck2
20th Dec 2013, 13:31
@tcm1707

Yes indeed, I'm booked in for the 7th :)

tcm1707
20th Dec 2013, 15:07
Congratulations! I wonder how many people will be seen at this stage.

shadow_5678
20th Dec 2013, 22:35
Just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their answers to the stage one essay questions on the application as I would like to know what sort of answers I was beaten by :P (I failed at the application stage)

If anyone is willing to share with me but doesn't want to say publicly then send me a PM :)

Thanks in advance! :ok:

G-F0RC3
20th Dec 2013, 23:46
tennisten; not that I know of. :ok:

shadow; it's possible that it was your answers to the multi-choice questions that let you down? Which FTO did you apply to?

bjornebye
21st Dec 2013, 15:04
First time poster, long time loiterer.

I had a great OAA experience - I understand the concerns about cost etc but on the day the staff were great and did everything they could to take the edge off our anxiety. Met some great fellow hopefuls and enjoyed it overall, even though it was the most nerve-wracking interview experience I've ever been through!

Good luck to all those who are still under consideration or still to be assessed, commiserations to those who haven't got past this hurdle.

Megabus
22nd Dec 2013, 18:07
Hi all,
a question to those who have been through assessment already: where maths and physics questions / problems are presented, are formulas provided too? or are candidates expected to know any necessary formulas by heart? (Note: I'm not asking disclosure of any specifics).

Thanks in advance for any replies :8 and merry Christmas to everyone!

G-F0RC3
22nd Dec 2013, 20:19
A basic level of knowledge on formulas is expected, but some are given. :)

umkhan
23rd Dec 2013, 14:51
Did anyone do the Oxford assessment on the 13th Dec? It was lovely to meet you all, but didn't get a chance to catch anyone after the interviews and tests. Would be great to hear from anyone again :ok:

aviator-P
24th Dec 2013, 16:22
Afternoon all,

Just a quick question for those candidate that have been to the OAA assessments, having looked back at my invitation from OAA its states,

"The selection process will be conducted during a single day and will comprise of:

Computer based testing (COMPASS, Technical Test, Maths Test and Personality Profile) which will include:

- Orientation / Instrument interpretation
- Hand and eye co-ordination
- Spatial-orientation
- Multi-tasking ability
- Understanding of maths and physics
- Task management."

Does this mean that i wont be carrying out a Memory Recall test or have they simply forgot to mention this ?

:confused::confused::confused:

champair79
24th Dec 2013, 22:28
Just had my response from CTC....sadly a 'no'.

All the best to everyone in the next stage.

Merry Christmas all!

beng123
27th Dec 2013, 10:52
Hi, does anyone know if the numerical reasoning for the second assessment event at ctc is with a calculator or not?

corners
27th Dec 2013, 13:09
Who know's what the 'competency based interview' involves for CTC stage 2?

Any answer to the above would be good too. Although I am almost positive it is non-calculator.

Aviate1994
27th Dec 2013, 14:47
The CTC numerical reasoning test is calculator based. It was mentioned in the presentation from the first assessment.

Aviate1994
27th Dec 2013, 14:51
Just like corners above ^^ I've also been wanting to ask if anyone has any experience with the competency based interview with CTC who is willing to share their experience? There are a few old threads with limited info on them! Thanks!

GClooney
28th Dec 2013, 02:48
A little googling reveals:
Competency Based Interview Techniques - Careers Advice - jobs.ac.uk (http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/interview-tips/1631/competency-based-interview-techniques)

baconjames21
29th Dec 2013, 14:06
I'm a 16 year old who is trying to be successful in the BA future pilot programme and I am trying to be well prepared for when the application window opens again I am looking for a pilot preferably from BA but doesn't have to be to help give me advice and really give me an idea of what being a pilot is like. If you would like to help me achieve my dream please message me :)

speedbird1984
30th Dec 2013, 20:44
Hey guys just reading up on the latest recruitment drive and wish you all the very best of luck! If it's any help when it came to the interviews I tried to memorise a list of answers/scenarios experienced in the past that demonstrated good leadership, management and team work ability. Maybe even try and relate them to a possible scenario on the line ;)

Enthusiasm and an ability to discuss your answers and detail what you've learned from each situation you talk about will go a very long way in the interview :ok:

FiiS
1st Jan 2014, 13:00
I'm off to the FTE assessment in a week. Can I find my original GCSE and A Level certificates? No :(

Before shelling out for copies that will cost a bomb and probably won't even arrive in time, can anyone confirm if they check the certificates on the day, or perhaps would they accept copies to follow? I've sent an email off but if anyone here has some info I'd appreciate it!

Haven't needed them in years and they've gone for a walk ...

Aviate1994
1st Jan 2014, 16:19
I had the same problem FiiS, only with CTC. I was told that you can't attend the BA assessment at waterside without the FTO seeing the original certificates.

So you might want to try and get copies of them ASAP as they can take upto a month to be sent out by AQA and the other exam boards.

FiiS
1st Jan 2014, 20:27
Thanks for the replies. B*gger!!! :ugh:

bluesky77
2nd Jan 2014, 11:46
In my email invite to the assessment with FTE they specifically mention that the originals are not required:

a. Copies (not originals) of your academic qualifications, and certification of equivalence for non-UK academic systems

JDA2012
2nd Jan 2014, 12:26
Interesting; OAA want originals, not copies:

Proof of academic qualifications as listed on your application – these must be original documents/certificates not copies, results summary slips or predicted grades.

Flutter speed
2nd Jan 2014, 12:45
Hi FiiS,

can anyone confirm if they check the certificates on the dayThey do check them on the day itself and keep the copies for their records. So it is advised to bring them. Or send them an email and ask if it is ok to send them later (?). I needed to get NARIC equivalents for my non UK grades and FTE was ok with me providing them later (after) the assessment day.

Good luck.

FiiS
2nd Jan 2014, 13:08
Panic over - it's all good.

Wednesday - do thy worst!

LadyL2013
2nd Jan 2014, 17:05
At OAA, they want your original certs, but if like me (I didn't have one of my original GCSE certs), they don't need all of them until you go to Waterside. They simply said they were happy to take my originals, plus my copy of the one I didn't have the original for, but that I needed to request a new confirmation from my exam board by the time I should go to Waterside.

BenMcGrath
3rd Jan 2014, 10:14
Hi everyone, is anyone else attending the assessment day at OAA on the 9th January? I'm pretty nervous as to be expected!

flytheskies
3rd Jan 2014, 11:08
Hi guys.

Just wanted to ask if anyone here attended the CTC assessment day on 16th Dec in the morning and was in the CLEAR group for the day?

It was nice meeting you all. Would be good to find out how you did if you're willing to share.

MMcMTS
3rd Jan 2014, 13:38
I had a problem when I was making the FTE payment and it looked like it was their server or website that was the issue but it was my bank / Visa that was blocking the payment.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Jan 2014, 19:59
At OAA, they want your original certs, but if like me (I didn't have one of my original GCSE certs), they don't need all of them until you go to Waterside. They simply said they were happy to take my originals, plus my copy of the one I didn't have the original for, but that I needed to request a new confirmation from my exam board by the time I should go to Waterside.

To reassure anyone without an original certificate.

I was told verbally that had passed a particular exam. I contacted my school twice and they denied I had passed. I then contacted the NUJMB and they sent a copy by return. This was forty years after the event!

BenMcGrath
3rd Jan 2014, 20:03
Just discovered a bit of an issue that might go against me, it seems a few years ago that my school/exam boards made a bit of a mistake, now I have all of my GCSE grades in script form, and I have some certificates, however I do not have all the certificates

Therefore I do have proof of my grades, however they are not all certificates, will this go against me?

BenMcGrath
4th Jan 2014, 12:36
Okay so I read the above post and felt a bit better, going to get the ball rolling and get more certificates sent out but take what I have to oxford, along with a letter from the school that says the certificates are on their way, fingers crossed it's enough!

GClooney
4th Jan 2014, 19:44
Do you guys and gals not get issued with the maroon folder full of your school GCSE/O Level and A Level certificates any more?

LadyL2013
4th Jan 2014, 20:30
Yes. But in my case I had a remark and never got an official cert with my new grade on, just a piece of paper from the exam board.

ben1
5th Jan 2014, 10:55
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone knows whether for the physics part of the testing at FTE we need to know physics theory and be able to answer wordy questions, or will it all be numerical questions where we just need to know formulas etc?

Cheers!

NathanJohnston
5th Jan 2014, 20:46
Good evening! How many applicants applied (this year or previous intake)? Also, I am aware that some aptitude tests (not necessarily B.A. / C.T.C. etc.) consist of a test which asks you questions relative to your personality e.g. Is it more important to complete a job quickly or with quality etc? Interesting to hear your thoughts on this!

BenMcGrath
5th Jan 2014, 20:47
Panic over, found the certs in an envelope that says 'GCSE Certificates' on it, how could I have missed that?! Time to get reading and researching ready for selection day!

timbuck2
5th Jan 2014, 21:19
Is anyone here going to be at the CTC Stage 3 assessment day this Tuesday? :)

junio
6th Jan 2014, 20:36
Quick Q about the FTE assessment day,

It says on the email 8:30 to 15:30.......for my assessment fee do I get a free lunch?? or is there a good place nearby that any of you could recommend?? also is there a chance that we cud be finished before 15:30??

bereyb
6th Jan 2014, 23:26
I'll go for FTE assessment day on the 13th. I've read somewhere they don't give lunch...but i really don't know

Doug E Style
7th Jan 2014, 08:45
Junio, yes, I should think so. Tell them when you get there that you want an early finish and they'll probably let you leave about 0835.

G-F0RC3
7th Jan 2014, 10:42
They don't give you lunch, but there is somewhere to acquire lunch on the premises.

There isn't much chance you'll leave early.

Knoydart
8th Jan 2014, 13:10
Off to OAA next week for assessment, been a long time since I looked at any maths/physics, any advice on level required. Is it basic calculations and compass test.

Many thanks in advance.

stu_rt
8th Jan 2014, 20:03
Junio, yes, I should think so. Tell them when you get there that you want an early finish and they'll probably let you leave about 0835.

I'd Like this if there was such a button :)

NathanJohnston
8th Jan 2014, 20:12
A general query:
I am aware B.A. require B,B,C minimum A Level grades; if one achieved A,C,D for instance, would this be equivalent and meet the entry requirement?
Thank you in advance!

Bealzebub
8th Jan 2014, 21:54
No it wouldn't. You should also be aware that the grades are the minimum level for consideration. There are plenty of applicants with grades significantly higher than the minimum.

FlyVeryHigh-
9th Jan 2014, 07:57
NathanJohnston,

I've read some of your posts before; and I believe you're still doing A-levels, correct me if i'm wrong though! Do as best you can in them mate, otherwise, you'll end up regretting everything you did in your last 2 years at school... like myself! Aim for AAA ;)! Otherwise, you'll have to miss out on fantastic opportunities like this... until you have a degree of course! Good luck!

bereyb
10th Jan 2014, 12:57
Hi
I can confirm, that it is enough to provide the UK NARIC certifications after the assessment day. I sent an e-mail to BA whether it is enough or not, and they replied it is enough to provide them after the assessment day.

junio
10th Jan 2014, 18:11
Nerves are starting to set in now, :uhoh::uhoh: Hopefully the 13th is a lucky day for me :)

Is the center in Hounslow easy to get to, had a look on google maps and it appears to be off the main road quite a bit, is it all clearly signposted???

NathanJohnston
10th Jan 2014, 19:08
Your encouragement is very much appreciated FlyVeryHigh! I certainly will! I have flew solo after my 16th birthday (C152) and obtained my PPL one day after my 17th birthday. So I will look forward to this coming November! Once again your encouragement very much valued, every success to you also!

JDA2012
10th Jan 2014, 19:11
Back from OAA - great to meet everyone there today, and the best of luck to all. A thoroughly enjoyable and challenging day. Now begins the waiting - again!

123breath
11th Jan 2014, 09:55
Hi Junio, good luck on Monday.

The easiest way to get there is take the tube to Hounslow Central, 5 minute walk. Exit the station and turn right (under the bridge), walk 2 or 3 hundred yards, and you'll see Clovelly Road on the left which leads to the Civic Centre. It's the road with loads of purple signs.......you can't miss it. Go throughout the car park and it's the first building, entrance 'Lampton Park Conference Centre', with a small sign next to it saying 'Flight Training Europe'. It's very easy to find. :ok:

Funkid
11th Jan 2014, 11:08
Complete waste of time/effort/money at OAA. A lot of the staff lacking in professionalism and basic manners.

Some of the many failings of the day:
- Interview: Captain from BA completely not aligned with the target audience of the programme. Supposed to be open to "people with little or no flying experience". Soon as he figured I had not taken a flying lesson he wasn't interested and continued to bring this up through the rest of the interview. Both interviewers did not introduce what their roles were so I had to stop and ask before the first question. Arrogant and patronising tone of captain was a reoccurring theme throughout the 45 mins. This guy was clearly lacking in life skills and an appreciation of anyone who has a background in anything other than flying. Why send someone old school like this along if you are looking to change your recruitment policy and bring in people with other life experience?
- OAA Staff: Guy that runs the show comes into room looking for feedback in front of all other applicants in the middle of the process. Yes I'm sure that's the best way to get open and honest feedback. Dear oh dear.....get a grip. :ugh: Ladies that were running the day were pleasant enough but the explanations before the tests etc. were amateur hour and no clear guidance on timings. They also spent a lot of time talking about how bad CTC/Jerez are. Funny thing was-right behind her work men were patching up and relaying the hut style/portakabin roof above a class that was going on for future pilots. I wouldn't be too proud of the facility- It's a bit of a dingy place to be honest. A lot of the day was spent hanging around doing nothing. Thank god I didn't waste two days annual leave on it as I understand that was the format last year.
- Testing: Maths/Physics test covering all things learned and fully tested about 10 years ago at high school. Why not just look at exam results? Clearly OAA/BA thinks it knows better than Her Majesty's Inspectors. Numeracy test is fair enough and I understand they need to rank people but is that the best they can do??? Also why do the 225 question personality profile on that day and make it sound like a time constrained challenge? Sounds like they needed to plug some things in to justify taking people out of work for the day and charging £250.
- Competency interview was embarrassing- HR (further reinforcing the stereotype label of Human Remains/Hardly Relevant) person was looking for what appeared to be part-time job type examples (e.g. Customer Service- whilst flipping burgers at Burger King I burned a bun. The customer complained and I arranged a fresh whopper and free side of fries- clap clap well done you can be a pilot now). ;). As soon as you mentioned anything remotely business orientated she didn't have a clue and/or wasn't interested. It had to be on her level of understanding/mental capacity it seemed.:=

Overall I thought the day was a really poor reflection on OAA and BA. Would be hilarious if I got through now.:eek:

Best of luck to all. :ok:

G-F0RC3
11th Jan 2014, 12:31
To be honest, how could you know for certain that you want to be a pilot if you've never even had a trial lesson before? While the BA FPP is open to those with no flying experience, I'd be quite surprised if anyone made it onto the programme without at least half an hour in the air. It's not prohibitively expensive, and at least then you can say that you've done it and loved it as much as you thought you would.

I think there are several good reasons for doing the maths/physics tests. Firstly, skills deteriorate over time, and that's one of the reasons for having to apply to university within a certain time-frame (for some subjects) after having acquired the entry qualifications. Secondly, testing every candidate on the same tests establishes a level playing field; from which a much more reliable representation of everyone's current (and relative) maths and physics skills can be determined. What good reason exists for not doing that? If you're as good at each as your qualifications suggest you are then you won't have a problem. If not; my first point is reinforced. The last thing any FTO wants is to take on candidates who will need to relearn a lot of basic high school maths and physics.

JDA2012
11th Jan 2014, 13:00
As already noted, I enjoyed the day at OAA; there was uncertainty in some areas but I approached everything positively (if pushed, my only worry coming out of the process was that I may have been too enthusiastic/ambitious in the interview). Better to repair the roof than to drip on the students, and I'm sure qualifying pilots will have to deal with worse distractions - good practice :ok:

I will not be drawn into a game of one-upmanship, but I have flight time in the (very) low three-digit range and almost everyone I chatted with on the subject had at least a couple of hours flying or gliding experience. Whilst the programme is indeed open to all, I would agree that going in with no experience at all would seem to be a distinct disadvantage and perhaps a tactical error.

One chap had flown all the way across the Atlantic to be there and held a Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering, and another had come from Singapore. "Competitive" does not begin to cover it! Still, an experience in itself, and one which I value regardless of the outcome.

Funkid
11th Jan 2014, 13:18
GFORC/GDA- I don't disagree that it's an advantage to have some flying experience but the guidance from BA is clear: "designed to select and train aspiring pilots, who currently have little or no flying experience".

All I'm saying is that if I had known that I would have needed to pick the "30 min flight experience" rather than the "paintballing experience" from my red letter day I probably wouldn't have bothered coming along. If that's what BA thinks sorts then men out from the boys then good luck to them.

LastPastthePost
11th Jan 2014, 14:19
Interesting perspectives.. I think they state that no flight experience is necessary, but it helps if you have some. I think they do judge if you have had the opportunity to fly but not taken it up.. Even one launch in a glider would help...

I think earlier in the thread someone said BA are not looking for the extremes of someone who spends every minute at their local general aviation airport washing planes to afford to fly and the other extreme of someone who doesn't care about flying but could win the apprentice! It the best mix of the above who get selected.

Are Oxford giving out timelines for notification of those through to the final stage? I wonder if BA need to review, or if the flight schools (using BA's selection criteria) decide?

wiggy
11th Jan 2014, 15:23
Arrogant and patronising tone of captain was a reoccurring theme throughout the 45 mins. This guy was clearly lacking in life skills and an appreciation of anyone who has a background in anything other than flying.

You may well be aware of the fact that this is a funny old job and a very strange working environment. It's not university, it's not an office. Day in and day out though training you are one on one with a teacher/examiner in a quite alien and intense environment and that does come as a surprise to some folks. I've seen (military) students "hang up their headsets" after 10 -15 hours or less with the admission that the job really wasn't what they thought it was going to be and they really weren't enjoying their place of work.

BA/the FTOs are looking to allocate a precious resource. I suspect if I had been in that captain's shoes I would have been investigating the same point, the one that G-FORC3 has already made - " how could you know for certain that you want to be a pilot if you've never even had a trial lesson before?"

In case I lack life skills I hope that doesn't sound arrogant or patronising, and no, before anybody asks, it wasn't me asking the questions :}

FullTanks
12th Jan 2014, 22:28
Wiggy's observations really hit the nail on the head. Such comments have been posted quite frequently - if a prospective candidate takes the trouble to read this thread from the very beginning. I, Wiggy and several others have often tried over the last few years to guide candidates using our own knowledge and experience. Some have heeded our advice, others have clearly chosen not to do so.

Whilst I do not have selection experience (other than my own), I have helped to train previously successful cadets. The selection procedure is designed to find the very best candidates from those applying by utilising a number of criteria.

The clearly defined, minimum academic qualifications required are the first filter. These academic achievements determine whether a candidate has the ability to successfully complete the licence theory and any future type rating exams. They do not need to be set as high as might be required, for example, for a medical degree, merely to ensure that the course material can be absorbed, understood and applied.

The psychometric tests serve to ensure that the candidate can demonstrate, for example, hand /eye co-ordination and spacial awareness, and that these will then allow steady progress during the flight phases of training, both initial and advanced. Given enough time almost anyone, given a degree of application, can learn to fly an aircraft. Time, however, is money and trainees who find it difficult to acquire the necessary skills in the time frame available become a liability to the school and the future airline.

The interviews, essays and group exercises can help to determine motivation, application, personality and team working skills. As has been said before, BA is not recruiting pilots per se, but future airline captains, who will require commercial awareness and man management skills of a high order. Some recent posts have clearly demonstrated in the writer significant shortfalls in areas such as individual initiative, resourcefulness and, sadly, a distinct lack of appreciation as to the potential effects of posting on a forum such as this.

In my personal experience there have always been those who, although successful in making commercial aviation their career, have sadly managed to slip through the selection procedure. The days of the autocratic captain, for example, have hopefully almost disappeared but, on double crewed long sector flights, one often had the opportunity, as one of the captains, to observe the sad lack of man management skills shown by an immediate contemporary - often a good friend. A brilliant pilot does not always indicate an effective man manager. All airlines will do their utmost to ensure that your face, as the applicant, fits with their company; and that will almost certainly be a reflection of your personality. A pilot interviewer will not take long to discover whether or not he or she would want to spend twelve hours with you on a flight deck, or spend time in your company, down route and off duty.

Assuming that you possess all of the above skills plus determination, motivation and an amiable personality, what else can you offer which will make you stand out from the other candidates in such a competitive arena? I will let you judge the qualities which you think may ensure your success.

Encouragement and assistance have always been my motives for contributing to the debate. Sadly, I would also have to add that I would advise the disaffected, the arrogant and those perhaps mature in years, but immature in outlook, to seek employment elsewhere. I have had the pleasure of meeting some of the successful FPP candidates from previous years - those who contributed to this thread always had sensible, considered and helpful information to impart. Some current posters would do well to re-read their own contributions - the eventual unsuccessful applicants are really not too difficult to identify.

Good luck.

wannabe_123
17th Jan 2014, 13:15
Hello all,

I'm writing here in the hope of garnering some advice after my application to the FPP was rejected at the initial stage.

CTC was my chosen school and I ensured that I completed the application form with great care. I submitted the application 7 or 8 days after the window first opened. I felt that I performed adequately in the multiple choice questions and I also paid great attention to constructing coherent, informed and well structured essay responses.

It was with great disappointment that I received the rejection email from BA recruitment in December and I subsequently re-read my submitted application in the hope of spotting where I went wrong. I was unable to spot any mistakes or areas lacking so I emailed and spoke on the phone to CTC twice in the hope of attaining some feedback. As was to be expected due to the thousands of applications they had received they were unable to provide me with any feedback.

I am under no illusions as to how competitive the FPP scheme is and appreciate the quality of the successful candidates will be exceptionally high. However I was particularly disappointed that my application didn't even make it past the paper sift stage.

I have spent the last decade attempting to increase my chances of being successful in my desired career as a pilot. I undertook flying scholarships with air cadets, played sport, completed my Gold D of E, ensured I performed well at A-levels (AAB), went to a good university, and most recently made sure that I've played an active role within the University Air Squadron.

While there will be numerous candidates with far better CVs than mine I still felt despondent that I was rejected at the initial stage. I've evaluated and reflected on my application and what may have let me down, but have been unable to reach any conclusions as to what these weaknesses may have been - and therefore have little idea what to do differently if FPP runs again at the end of 2014.

Some ideas I've had that may have contributed to my application being rejected are:

My University course is a humanities one (I know officially this isn't a precluding factor)
I didn't do maths A-level and only got a 'B' at GCSE
CTC appears to be the school that has received the most applicants
I performed to a lower standard than I thought in the multiple choice questions
The 'qualities' I outlined as being required by BA pilots in my essay answer were not what markers were looking for
The CTC staff members simply didn't like the sound of me when looking at my application!

As you can see I've racked my brains for where I went wrong and sought feedback from CTC so I can try and learn from the process, however I have been unsuccessful in doing so.

If you've read this far - thank you. This is a final (and likely frivolous) attempt to try to get a better understanding of what I can learn from the process. If any of what I've said above stimulates a suggestion as to why my application may have been rejected - please do let me know. I really want to explore every avenue in order to better my chances of succeeding next time round at what really is an unrivalled opportunity.

I look forward to any possible replies. Thank you.

TShan1
17th Jan 2014, 13:23
If it's any consolation wannabe_123, an application of mine was excepted some months ago on the 100% self funded CTC wings course, but not for the BA course. My thinking is that there are a very small amount of positions and there are bound to be some extremely high quality CVs that soak these up.

momo95
17th Jan 2014, 14:58
Now i'm no expert, but from reading your outlined possibilities I would say that not having done maths for A-levels is probably the most likely reason.

Nelson15
17th Jan 2014, 19:33
There are plenty on the FPP that didn't do maths at A-level momo, so unlikely to be that.

LadyL2013
17th Jan 2014, 20:42
FWIW at my selection day degree you did, doing Maths at A-Level didn't seem to matter. Whilst most of my fellow applicants had done some sort of engineering degree (thus requiring Maths at A-Level) there were a fair few candidates who had degrees in completely unrelated topics, not done further than GCSE maths and had little to no flight experience. Having said that, this was OAA so CTC may have been different.

bjornebye
17th Jan 2014, 21:09
Hi wannabe,

I have no official insight into why you didn't get past stage one. However, I would say that you seem to be doing everything right. So don't beat yourself up. I know you mentioned that flying was your dream, but you have a great attitude and whatever you find yourself doing, you'll probably be damn good at it. Chin up.

Sound As A Euro
17th Jan 2014, 21:21
wannabe_123,

Bad luck on not getting through selection. I agree with the last 3 posters: your application sounds strong, but remember that a huge component of luck is needed in any application process that whittles thousands of applicants down to tens. The selection process cannot possibly claim to identify the best x candidates. There will inevitably be fantastic applicants who don't make it through, and seemingly average candidates who do. The only things the lucky ones have in common is that they have the attributes and abilities that BA is looking for. If your application had been read by another person, or even by the same person on a different day, things might be different.

To try to prove my point that there is no formula for the perfect application, here are some examples:

- There are plenty of guys/gals on the FPP with degrees that are non-technical; there are other people with relevant masters degrees, and some with no degree.

- There are people who didn't excel at school/university, only just met the academic criteria for selection, and plenty who didn't do maths A-level.

- There are people who have given up seriously high-powered careers, and others who haven't yet had any sort of career.

- There are people who take part in unusual sports / hobbies, and others who have "boring" pastimes.

- There are people who had significant flying experience when they applied, and others with only 1 hour in a light aircraft.

etc.

So don't give up, keep developing your skills, and good luck with your next application.

G-F0RC3
18th Jan 2014, 21:11
Friday was the last assessment day at FTE. The suggestion is that they assessed around 350 candidates. Should find out who is making it to the next phase within the next few weeks.

LastPastthePost
19th Jan 2014, 08:20
From what I recall, the last date for Oxford on the booking website was the 17th too..

They did 5 weeks @ 100 / 120 candidates a week. So would be approximately 600 for Oxford...

I seem to remember last year that BA sent out the invites to final selection for all the schools on the same day on the 22nd February.. So might be closer to a month until we find out.

aviator-P
19th Jan 2014, 17:56
OAA had actually mentioned at the assessment day that they are assessing around 850 cadets.

squird02
20th Jan 2014, 11:41
I do remember looking at the booking schedule for OAA and I noticed that their final selection day is 21st January. I was just wondering if anybody had received any updates since 18th December. I know that the email from OAA stated that they would write again towards the end of January but I can't help but refresh my emails.

JDA2012
20th Jan 2014, 11:58
I was assessed on Friday 10th Jan and received the "no" mail on Tuesday 14th. If you've not had such a mail, no news is good news as they say. Good luck!

squird02
20th Jan 2014, 12:13
Sorry to hear that JDA2012!! Fingers crossed the debrief will be useful and then re-apply in November :). At least it is possible to book debriefs this year- as far as I am aware they were unable to provide any feedback last year.

JDA2012
20th Jan 2014, 12:24
Indeed - that is what I am hoping! The mail received says that they "hope that you found the day challenging but enjoyable", and as I have already described the assessment as "a thoroughly enjoyable and challenging day" in a previous post my attitude at least is hopefully in the correct ballpark...

MMcMTS
20th Jan 2014, 13:58
On the FTE day, the woman who chatted to us through the day between activities said it was around 205 candidates they were assessing. If it's an average of two groups a day with 7 or 8 people in each group and there were two weeks in Jan and one in Dec for assessment then it seems about right, maybe just a little higher, maybe up to 240? All speculation of course and not expecting to hear anything until beginning/middle of Feb.

G-F0RC3
21st Jan 2014, 19:21
If true then reaching the assessment day really is an achievement in and of itself. And assuming they plan to put 100 FTE candidates through to the next round, it improves our individual odds considerably. Fingers crossed! :cool:

PlaneVanilla
22nd Jan 2014, 09:56
Rejection emails are being sent out by OAA - I just got mine :)

Oh well, there's always next year...

LastPastthePost
22nd Jan 2014, 10:15
Thats a shame PlaneVanilla. At least you can say that you made the standard required, but unfortunately didn't quite make it on the ranking. Hopefully they give some feedback.

I got an email saying I'm still in the process..

JDA2012
22nd Jan 2014, 14:49
Well, having reflected on my performance I am somewhat frustrated now, but at the same time energised for next year as with a little work success should be within my reach. No problems with COMPASS or the personality profile, but I feel that I let myself down on the team exercise and the interview. Tried a cheeky "Do you have any single-pilot aircraft available?" at the end of the day, but no dice! :O

I have taken away a lot from the process, and am still digesting the learning points, but won't bore you with it all here. The best of luck to those still in the process - hope to be flying with you in the future yet!

G-F0RC3
22nd Jan 2014, 15:27
Feedback is a good addition to the FPP selection process. JDA2012, if you feel up to it, would you be kind enough to let us know what it was in particular that (based on your feedback) you felt they were looking for (that you perhaps didn't do enough of) in the group ex?

LastPastthePost
22nd Jan 2014, 15:30
I'd be careful with what you share on an open forum. Oxford probably already know who you are from you stating your score..

Those scores are amazing though.. Well done.

JDA2012
22nd Jan 2014, 15:44
That's why I'm not being very specific - I assume that anyone who wishes to knows who I am on here, OAA in particular, and I am mindful that they would prefer that the process remain a surprise.

I'm a PPL already so I expected to do well on the technical elements, however then to let myself down on the "soft" elements is so frustrating, but a very important lesson. It doesn't matter how good a pilot you are if you don't play nicely with others!

Advice I feel I can give without over-stepping the mark, and which is generic to all (knowing my specific growth areas won't really help anyone else):

Learn BA absolutely inside out, make sure that you can substantiate anything that you bring up at interview, and when they ask you to work as a team, they mean it!

That is all rather obvious, I know - yet I seem to have missed the finer points. :ouch:

wiggy
22nd Jan 2014, 16:07
Sorry to hear you came to grief, better luck next time round.

It doesn't matter how good a pilot you are if you don't play nicely with others!

Spot on...:ok:

I think that was one of the major points Fulltanks was driving at in his/her excellent post a week or two back. It's not just a case of having the motor and academic skills, you have to be able to show that you are the sort of person who can share office space with others for hours on end. I don't envy you folks going through the process - you probably feel you need to demonstrate some sort of alpha male or female characteristics to stand out from the pack but you need to be aware that those characteristics might just appear to make you an utter PITA......

If it helps FWIW I think most BA captains, even if they allegedly lack personal skills, have grey hair and are as old as Methuselah :p enjoy a good day out. My ideal colleague is better handler than me, ( not difficult) but doesn't step all over me when I'm briefing, ( i.e. cuts me some slack) and corrects me when I go all senior (" err, that 's a really good idea, and I might be wrong but)....and best of all they are someone who I'd want to share a beer /fruit juice with me at the end of the day....now I'm not sure how you teach those skills but there you go......

N757CM
22nd Jan 2014, 19:05
Hey, has anyone heard back from the interview stage with CTC?

bangaio
22nd Jan 2014, 20:56
JDA,

may I ask how you arranged a debrief, we were told that no feedback would be given at all by OAA.

thank you on advance.

JDA2012
22nd Jan 2014, 21:28
bangaio - yes, as were we, and I can now see why. They are very busy people at the best of times and whilst well meaning they simply don't have the bandwidth it would take to provide comprehensive feedback. I think it would be unfair to subject them to a deluge of requests for the same...

FullTanks
23rd Jan 2014, 11:22
Thanks for the comment, Wiggy. A year or so ago I was having similar conversations on this thread with TalkPedlar. I thought my post of 12th January had stunned everyone into an embarrassed silence - although after a five day break I'm pleased to see that most have returned.
Commiserations to those who have not made it this year, but if you heed the advice and feedback (if given) I'm sure you will be better placed to succeed in any future selection procedure. As some have noted, it is the so called 'soft areas', where the candidate is perhaps being assessed on a rather more subjective basis, which can be decisive in determining success or rejection. These days that fact will apply in almost all areas of employee selection.

G-F0RC3
23rd Jan 2014, 12:49
I thought my post of 12th January had stunned everyone into an embarrassed silence...

Or perhaps everyone was simply taking your (sound) advice, which for some of us takes quite a long time... ;)

Some current posters would do well to re-read their own contributions...

Hannah222
23rd Jan 2014, 13:26
I've done the same. Got a no from the OAA assessment and asked about feedback. They said they could give me a ring to talk about it which is encouraging, at least I'll know what to do and not to do next time!

G-F0RC3
24th Jan 2014, 09:42
Another assessment at OAA? How many is that altogether?

timbuck2
26th Jan 2014, 13:12
From CTC Wing's FB page:

"The first two phases of this year’s British Airways selection process are now complete…one more phase to go for those who have been successful so far! Good luck everyone…!"

Keep an eye on your inbox! :eek:

SouthPilot
26th Jan 2014, 15:37
Very confused by the CTC Facebook post. Anyone know if they are they referring to the first two phases of the whole process (i.e. application and group exercise/aptitude tests), or the first two phases at CTC (i.e. group exercise/aptitude tests and interview)?

I attended stage 2 (group exercise and aptitude tests) at CTC at the beginning of December and still haven't heard back from them. Is anyone else in the same position?

I have read on here that some people have received rejections and some have been accepted and attended stage 3, I just wanted to know if anyone was in my situation and not heard anything since stage 2?

Thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone

N757CM
27th Jan 2014, 13:18
As I understand it, it is stage 3 that is now finished (i.e. the one-on-one interview and numerical reasoning).

If you haven't heard back fro stage 3 you should probably contact them in case there has been a problem with emails etc.

SouthPilot
27th Jan 2014, 15:44
Thanks for your response Chris, much appreciated. I'll drop them an email now.

Cheers

timbuck2
27th Jan 2014, 21:05
@N757CM

What's your source for that?

N757CM
27th Jan 2014, 21:34
If ctc are referring to a stage being finished I'm assuming its the third one as that is the one that was taking place. I could be wrong, it is just my own understanding of what they meant.

N757CM
27th Jan 2014, 21:35
Also, if it says 'one more phase to go' then it must be referring to the 3rd phase?

N757CM
27th Jan 2014, 22:15
Oh apologies. I see what you mean now. I have said stage 3 by accident in my first post. Meant to say stage 2.

Azadpanchi
28th Jan 2014, 03:28
Any clue about the next intake ? ? ? :sad:

timbuck2
28th Jan 2014, 08:20
@N757CM

Phew! You had me worried for a minute there! :ooh:

LastPastthePost
28th Jan 2014, 09:05
I think the general convention is:
Stage 1 - Applications being screened
Stage 2 - Tests (maybe group exercise depending on FTO)
Stage 3 - Interview
Stage 4 / Final Stage - BA Waterside.

Obviously Oxford and FTE combine Stage 2/3 into one day.

N757CM
28th Jan 2014, 10:39
Yeah, rather worryingly I am also waiting to hear back from stage 3 and managed to get mixed up.

G-F0RC3
28th Jan 2014, 12:12
I think everyone from all FTOs who have made it thus far are awaiting news with regard to whether they will be invited to the final stage at BA HQ or not.

I'm personally quite pleased to still be in the process, but have prepared myself psychologically for the more likely scenario of not making it any further this time around.

Good luck all. :)

JPilot90
28th Jan 2014, 14:05
So despite being told by OAA in December I was under consideration to go through to Waterside I've just been told I didn't quite make the cut..disappointed is an understatement! However my scores were high enough that they have offered me a place on their APP FO course.

Do you guys think this is an option worth looking in to? And if so, should I go through OAA's intergrated or modular scheme? Thanks for any advice.

G-F0RC3
28th Jan 2014, 14:33
JPilot90: I understand your disappointment. However, "under consideration" implies that it can go either way - and sounds like a generic term applied to candidates who are clearly good enough to become an airline pilot; but not necessarily good enough for the FPP (whatever good enough means). If I were you I'd try to take the positives from that.

I'd also be cautious about joining any of their self-sponsored courses. You might spend a huge amount of money and find yourself jobless and poor at the end of it all. Better to learn from the experience this time around and wait for the next FPP to open later in the year.

All the best for the future.

Shawrey
28th Jan 2014, 16:18
I understand your disappointment. However, "under consideration" implies that it can go either way - and sounds like a generic term applied to candidates who are clearly good enough to become an airline pilot; but not necessarily good enough for the FPP (whatever good enough means). If I were you I'd try to take the positives from that.

Nope. The people who were under consideration with Oxford had passed the criteria set by BA to make it down to Waterside. The only reason they didn't make it through was due lack of available spaces. 100 I'm led to believe for each FTO. Those people, including myself would have been able to have a very good go at getting onto the scheme and no doubt a few would have got on.

This selection process takes 4 months from start to finish and £250 of peoples hard earned money. I personally believe that if a candidate had passed the BA criteria, then they should have been able to show what they are made of down at Waterside regardless of numbers. Its not like time or money is an issue.

But hey, that's life.

G-F0RC3
28th Jan 2014, 16:36
That's interesting. At FTE we were told there was no limit on the numbers who could make it through to the final stage. So if we were all good enough then we'd make it.

Hard lines guys.

JPilot90
28th Jan 2014, 17:23
Agreed it is quite unusual given that different FTO's will have varying numbers of candidates so to pick 100 from each one seems strange. I do agree that if someone were to pass BA's criteria they should be given a chance but as Shawrey said, that's life.

I guess the best thing to do right now is to sit tight and apply for the next FPP.

LastPastthePost
29th Jan 2014, 07:50
The number of candidates historically taken to waterside is generally 3 x the number of places for each FTO.

First year: 90 places in total, 30 per FTO. Each FTO sends 90.

Last year: 72 places in total, 24 per FTO. Each FTO sends 72.

This year: 60 places in total, 20 per FTO. Each FTO sends 60 ?

The cost of selection only covers the FTO selection costs (and maybe a bit of profit too?). So the costs of the day at Waterside are covered by BA. The purpose of the FTO is to filter out the candidates, so I can see why BA want to limit it to the best x candidates.

Maybe FTE get some brownie points from BA for doing a more rigorous selection procedure and therefore send less than the limit? There are dangers in that too though..

Runway 37
29th Jan 2014, 18:27
Still, that would give you a disadvantage when applying through the FTO with the most applicants. Which, in my opinion, is unfair and not ideal for BA.

Fostex
29th Jan 2014, 19:20
If your goal is only getting to Waterside yes it is unfair, but once you get to the final selection it is irrelevant as BA will choose the best best candidates regardless of FTO. If you play gamesmanship with choice of FTO you are only fooling yourself.

wilso10
29th Jan 2014, 19:36
101 pages is too many to trawl through so hoping somebody could answer the following questions for me:

1. Has anyone on here successfully got through to the BA FPP? And if so, did they have any prior flying experience?

2. Any idea when the next BA FPP will open, is it always the latter part of the year?

G-F0RC3
29th Jan 2014, 19:46
1. Has anyone on here successfully got through to the BA FPP? And if so, did they have any prior flying experience?

Yes, lots. And I've personally never heard of any who made it without at least a little flying experience. Even half an hour in the sky will improve your chances of success significantly.

2. Any idea when the next BA FPP will open, is it always the latter part of the year?

Usually it's around Nov/Dec.

101 pages is too many to trawl through
There's a lot of very useful information in all of those pages. If you're serious about making a success of it, I'd highly recommend you spend the next few months reading through this topic.

:ok:

Bealzebub
29th Jan 2014, 19:48
A shame, because if did "trawl" through the previous posts you would be able to answer your own questions. However, yes there are plenty of people who have successfully completed the qualification phases for FPP. No, nobody has any idea when the next programme will open. It depends on any number of variables. The past two have been late Autumn / Early Winter.

wilso10
29th Jan 2014, 20:03
I had a quick scan through to find the answers to my specific questions and couldn't find them so thought I'd chance it and get a quick response.

Thanks for the response guys.

Stuart Sutcliffe
29th Jan 2014, 20:18
101 pages is too many to trawl through so hoping somebody could answer the following questions for me:
I'd say you have just ruled yourself out of being selected by BA, or any other airline cadet program. :rolleyes:

Cessnaflyer87
30th Jan 2014, 12:24
Does anyone know rough timescales from when people are going to find out if the have been successful in Stage 3 and are going to Waterside?

beng123
30th Jan 2014, 19:54
I would imagine within the next two weeks.

G-F0RC3
31st Jan 2014, 09:35
I hope it's sooner than that. One way or other I just want to know now. :)

nonsoloinglese
31st Jan 2014, 14:50
Afternoon all,
I applied via CAE Oxford (OAA) and had my assessment day on the 8th January. I unfortunately didn't get through, passed the majority of the exams but a few areas were not upto scratch.
The day I got the email I was sat in the BA Lounge at Gatwick and was obviously disappointed. During my subsequent flight to Venice I mentioned to the cabin manager that I applied for BA FPP and was kindly invited to the flight deck at the end of the flight. I spent 10 minutes with the flight crew talking about the day and they made me feel so much better. They know how hard it is and saw my passion, eventually I was booted off by the Italian turnaround manager.

I had the debrief and like many people here I was very impressed by the care and attention taken by OAA. They were fantastic and supportive and it is very therapeutic understanding one's weaknesses. I have since brushed up on mental maths!

To those that have criticised the cost then you truly need to appreciate the cost to businesses to staff and facilitate things like assessment days and courses. They are a derivative of one of the most volatile industries around, when airlines go bankrupt then flight schools suffer.

Also the money issue should not be the thing that stops you from applying. You will still need to fund FPP, privately or via loan, just like you would need to a private scheme. FPP pays you back over the first 7 years of your employment. £5k in 9 years time is not the same as it will be today. The money is irrelevant when it helps you acheive your dreams. Here I am today kicking myself for not paying £3,000 to go on Concorde in 2003!

Good luck and congratulations to those that get through!

MaydayMaydayMayday
31st Jan 2014, 15:29
The number of candidates historically taken to waterside is generally 3 x the number of places for each FTO.

First year: 90 places in total, 30 per FTO. Each FTO sends 90.

Last year: 72 places in total, 24 per FTO. Each FTO sends 72.

This year: 60 places in total, 20 per FTO. Each FTO sends 60 ?

The cost of selection only covers the FTO selection costs (and maybe a bit of profit too?). So the costs of the day at Waterside are covered by BA. The purpose of the FTO is to filter out the candidates, so I can see why BA want to limit it to the best x candidates.

Maybe FTE get some brownie points from BA for doing a more rigorous selection procedure and therefore send less than the limit? There are dangers in that too though..

We were certainly under the impression for FPP2 that each FTO sent about 100 candidates to Waterside, from which they then picked the 72 they wanted (I'd be surprised if anyone other than the recruitment team knew the precise numbers). Ultimately, it didn't end up being an even split between FTE/CTC/OAA, although couldn't tell you the precise figures.

LastPastthePost
31st Jan 2014, 16:09
I could be wrong, those numbers were my perception from reading this thread and speaking to the people involved..

MaydayMaydayMayday
31st Jan 2014, 16:48
LastPastthePost, FPP2 doesn't have an even split of 24 per FTO. Certainly less than 20 in total at FTE, with the second group having arrived within the last couple of weeks (two more groups to come).

LastPastthePost
31st Jan 2014, 18:16
That's great to get the confirmation from someone "on the ground". This sort of information passes through so many people that it gets twisted. Could it be that some pulled out / failed medical etc?

Someone at OAA this year said they had 25 from the FPP2..

MaydayMaydayMayday
1st Feb 2014, 02:30
I'm not aware of anyone having either pulled out after having accepted, or failed the medical, but don't quote me! If it runs for long enough then statistically it'd most likely happen, but there must be some contingency in place for such events.

Pretty sure the plan was that they took the best candidates irrespective of which FTO they'd be headed to, but really (again) the only people who could confirm that would be BA recruitment.

Like any cadet scheme, they'd want to phase it so that graduates start coming out of the FTOs at the ideal time to fit in around type ratings and line training, so it must make sense to have a relatively even spread between the three schools. That said, if one school had more than the others, the only people it'd likely inconvenience would be those graduates who might end up with a longer wait after finishing at their respective FTO before then carrying on to a type rating. You'd think it might benefit the individual schools to have more students coming in through their doors, which could be an incentive for them to send the right people to Waterside in the first place, but realistically the FTOs can't lose out as they have such a constant stream of self-sponsored cadets anyway, not to mention cadets sponsored by other airlines.

forsrm
7th Feb 2014, 15:49
This waiting is killing me. Never has anyone refreshed their inbox as often as I in the last couple of weeks.

boy_wonder4
9th Feb 2014, 20:24
Hi all.

Congratulations to those who are through to the final stages of the FPP selection process - exciting times up ahead!

I am a serving Army Officer who is considering a career change and wondered if there were any other serving/ex service personnel who had applied for the FPP scheme? I've noticed from the BA website that leadership is a sought after trait and so wondered if things such as Sandhurst etc have helped in anyway?

Cheers in advance.

FiiS
10th Feb 2014, 12:18
Hi!

I've found military officer experience to be of no help whatsoever. It's a jungle out there ...

DavidC83
10th Feb 2014, 14:35
Anyone heard back with an invite to the last stage yet? It's all gone very quiet!

Aviate1994
10th Feb 2014, 14:50
Not quite yet! Apparently we should expect invitations on or around the 15th of Feb (for CTC)

forsrm
10th Feb 2014, 15:21
Aviate94, do you remember that from the last interview or have you been in touch with them since?

G-F0RC3
10th Feb 2014, 15:43
I imagine all the invitations will be sent at the same time, as I think that's what happened last year. And 15th is a Saturday, so not sure who told you it might be then? Is it really likely that they'll send out the invitations on a Saturday? I thought it would be a conventional working day. Maybe this Friday... :confused:

Aviate1994
10th Feb 2014, 20:17
I contacted CTC early last week, and was told the 15th, which did make me wonder considering it was a Saturday, but considering some candidates were being invited to the first assessment with CTC over a weekend, it also seems legitimate...

beng123
13th Feb 2014, 16:30
Saturday 15th is the same day as ctc's open day..... thoughts?!

Ironside757
13th Feb 2014, 17:22
Absolutely irrelevant!

By the sounds of it, BA send out the invitations to the final assessment not the FTO's. I'd bet a small fortune that they don't send out invitations over a weekend, I reckon tomorrow will be the day though ;)

LastPastthePost
13th Feb 2014, 20:37
From what I understand the fto's send a file for the top x candidates to BA. If there are 60 slots, then I imagine 80 are sent and the ones either side of 60 are discussed in detail. The lucky ones get invited for a free lunch at Waterside...

The reject list is passed back to the fto for them to pitch self sponsorship to.

If I was a betting man/woman (delete as appropriate) I would say the lucky ones will receive an invite Tomorrow or Monday.. The rejected people a day or so later..

Roger10-4
14th Feb 2014, 15:08
wilso10,

I wouldn't rule yourself out for not wanting to read 101 pages of this. I can help with question 1. Quite a few of my FPP colleagues started with no flying experience at all. Never even a trial flight. There are people with 300 hours on the other hand! If you can demonstrate your motivation to fly without previous experience then there's no reason why you shouldn't stand a good chance. Also from what I understand, there's never been an even split of successful applicants between the FTO's. At the end of the day BA will take the people they want, even if that means taking more than initially planned. All the best.

wilso10
15th Feb 2014, 18:36
Thanks Roger.

I genuinely wasn't being lazy when I said I didn't want to read the 101 pages, I just wanted a specific answer to a specific set of questions which I have got, so thanks.

As it happens, I have now read through all 101 pages now and there have been some incredible journeys / stories which has stoked my desire even more to make the dream of becoming a pilot a reality.

Will keep my eye open for the next BA FPP, good luck to all on here who are still in the midst of their applications.

tomc12
15th Feb 2014, 18:37
Has anyone heard anything?

G-F0RC3
15th Feb 2014, 20:56
wilso10; for the record I actually felt that Stuart Sutcliffe was being a bit harsh to suggest anyone would rule themselves out of the FPP for not reading every page in this topic. I'm glad you did read them though, as I'm sure you are now too, having seen what some of them contain. Lots of very useful information! :ok:

tomc12; I haven't heard anything yet, and I don't think anyone has. To be honest I would have been very surprised to get a response on a Saturday. More likely we'll hear back on Monday (or later in the week). :)

wilso10
16th Feb 2014, 18:33
Thanks G-F0RC3:O

I guess in future I'll learn to roll with the punches that I may get on here but all in good spirit. Really interested to see how everyone gets on with this and I personally wish you all the best with your application, I believe you are due to hear back imminently?

Eagerly awaiting news of the next BA FPP programme, even though it could be another good 8-10 months.

G-F0RC3
16th Feb 2014, 22:23
Sure am waiting to hear back. :) I'm sure I'm not the only one who is looking forward to being liberated from the horrible wait for news... good or bad. Not expecting to make it further if I'm brutally honest with myself, but time will tell. Fingers crossed tomorrow brings the answers.

funkyt111
17th Feb 2014, 13:23
Check your emails guys and girls. Invitations are going out.

LastPastthePost
17th Feb 2014, 13:34
Ditto the above.

G-F0RC3
17th Feb 2014, 13:40
Just received invitation to Waterside. :) I'm with FTE.

LastPastthePost
17th Feb 2014, 13:43
Congrats Guys (or Girls), What days are on offer for you? Oxford are 17th to 20th March.

funkyt111
17th Feb 2014, 13:46
Snap G-Force. Second time round for me! Which day did you pick? I counted the number of slots available and there 13 on two of days and 8 on the last day.

Libertine Winno
17th Feb 2014, 13:46
Are the schools all on different days then?!

I was under the impression it would just be everyone invited all at once...perhaps not!

funkyt111
17th Feb 2014, 13:50
Libertine. Yes, each school has a slot of three days each. FTE are on 25th, 26th and 27th of March.

FlyVeryHigh-
17th Feb 2014, 14:01
Haven't applied myself guys; but i've been keeping an eye on peoples progress on here. Congrats to those of you who are moving to the nex stage! G-FORC3, best of luck, always see you popping up somewhere!

timbuck2
17th Feb 2014, 14:03
CTC's on the 11th - 13th! Anyone going to be joining me on the 11th? Congratulations to those who made it, commiserations to those who didn't - there's always next year.

Libertine Winno
17th Feb 2014, 14:38
So are we to assume that more people applied to OAA as they have 4 days allocated (17-20th) whereas CTC (11-13th) and FTE (25-27th) have 3 days? Or could be that there were more suitable candidates from OAA! Yet more speculation and conjecture for us to enjoy :ok:

G-F0RC3
17th Feb 2014, 14:39
Thanks flyveryhigh. :) One more hurdle to jump over - but this one is the highest of them all.

Wizz219
17th Feb 2014, 14:56
Congrats to all with invites already. Nothing my end yet but keeping my fingers crossed. Any idea if the invites will be sent out in one big batch or staggered over today and tomorrow?

polar25
17th Feb 2014, 15:00
Congratulations to all invitees so far!

I'm in a similar position Wizz219, I haven't received anything yet but am preparing myself for a knock back.

Will all invites have been sent out by now?

FiiS
17th Feb 2014, 15:21
...tumbleweeds...

Goddamn. Rejection City over here! Don't do it, BA ...

Cessnaflyer87
17th Feb 2014, 15:23
Does anyone know how many CTC are sending through? I vaguely remember hearing about 100? Does that ring a bell for anyone?

timbuck2
17th Feb 2014, 15:27
@Cessnaflyer87 I seem to remember they said that they could send UP TO 100, if that 100 were deemed worthy!

Runner233
17th Feb 2014, 15:34
I'm on the same boat as wizz219 and polar 25. I feel like they haven't sent out all the invites yet because if FTE have 3 dates - first 2 with 13 people and the last one with 8, then that's 34 people in total. Now add that onto 13x7 (max for ctc and oaa), that'll be 125 people altogether, surely they're gonna interview more people than that right?

jm0
17th Feb 2014, 15:44
Congratulations to those who've received emails so far, has anyone booked the 26th with FTE?

guitardude4
17th Feb 2014, 17:00
Just checked my CTC FPP account because I have not received any emails yet and it says unsuccessful at stage 3. If you don't want to wait any longer I suggest you guys do the same.

Congratulations and best of luck to those of you who did make it through to the next stage. I guess I will look for other schemes or try to get the big loan and go self funded now.

Cheers, happy flying.

Ectogamat
17th Feb 2014, 17:09
After a torturous wait, found out I was unsuccessful. Knew I absolutely ballsed the maths so not too much of a shock but still disappointed. Oh well, here's to next year for those unsuccessful, good luck to all those still in the process and thanks to all those that have provided info.

ncb1391
17th Feb 2014, 17:23
I have booked the 26th too!! Congratulations for getting through :ok:

G-F0RC3
17th Feb 2014, 17:37
The BA mental maths test was (for me) by far the hardest part of the assessment process so far. I knew I hadn't completely messed it up, but I also knew I scored nothing like the guys who claimed to have got 24 or 25 of the questions. Maybe they were bluffing?

I was holding onto the hope that I had at least answered the ones I had attempted accurately (about 17 of them) - which I think I did. Not sure what the pass mark was, but whatever I wrote on that bit of paper must have been good enough. :cool:

funkyt111
17th Feb 2014, 18:07
Guys and girls, I wouldn't expect that this particular mental maths test to be the reason why you were unsuccessful. I sincerely thought that I had messed up my chances this year on this test. I answered no more than 13 questions and I struggled a lot. Fortunately I still have made it through to the final stages. So heads up folks and I wish you all the best in the future.

polar25
17th Feb 2014, 19:14
Congratulations to all those who have progressed!

Would it be fair to assume that all invites have now been sent out? I just want to gauge whether or not it's worth holding out any hope!

Wizz219
17th Feb 2014, 19:40
I did what guitardude4 suggested and logged into my BA Careers account. Does not yet say unsuccessful on my FTE FPP Application. I know I have probably missed out on the final stage at BA but I just wonder if FTE will offer me a self sponsored place. Clutching at straws I know but maybe these invites will be sent out seperately in the next few days.

Wizz219
17th Feb 2014, 20:04
Ahh okay thanks for that Ben. I'm on the fence at the minute to be honest. The only issue for me would be the financing as I don't know if it will be possible for me to attach the loan needed onto a property. I'll look into it more closely if I am indeed offered it. The fact you're not guaranteed a job doesn't worry me that much, especially with the links they have with airlines. It might also be the only chance I get. What about you?

beng123
17th Feb 2014, 22:56
Booked in for the 11th! Congratulations and commiserations guys and girls. Any one from oxford roughly see how many slots were available? 120-130 seems pretty low for 65 places?! I also seem to remember it being mentioned at ctc that up to 100 could go through.

Flutter speed
18th Feb 2014, 06:48
Didn't receive anything yet so have to take that as a no I am afraid :(
Good luck to all that got through! I will follow this topic with interest still.

The experience of the assessment day was one of a kind and I am glad I did it.

As I say, good luck :ok:

polar25
18th Feb 2014, 09:20
Just got my rejection email...

MMcMTS
18th Feb 2014, 10:18
Well, unforunately that's the rejections going out, just spied in the junk mail. Congratulations to those going to Waterside, best of luck and keep a cool head!

Runner233
18th Feb 2014, 12:37
The fact that they are only going to interview 120-130 people is really surprising, I thought it would be a lot more! And so to those who did get an invite to waterside, a big congratulations because around 600 names would've been sent to BA and so you're in the top 25%. To those, like myself, who were unfortunately not successful, don't give up, stay positive and we'll have our turn to go to waterside next year ;)! Best of luck to all of you!

Laurapintas
18th Feb 2014, 14:13
Just found out my "no go" email on the junk. Time to reflect about what went wrong.
Best of luck for all the guys and gals that are going to Waterside! :ok:

Cessnaflyer87
18th Feb 2014, 14:29
Sorry to hear all of you that didnt get through. Im not sure whether it is an option or not, but if possible try and get as much feedback as possible. If it was simply Maths, you know to really get practicing this summer so you can prepare for next year, or if it was the interview, try and PM someone that gets through and find out where they focused the competency based questions! Good luck!:ok:

Libertine Winno
18th Feb 2014, 14:53
Just a point, but I would suggest the reason BA didn't say anything about the extra test might be because they didn't want people to be able to practice for it!

Remember that much of this is about testing basic aptitude, not the ability to cram knowledge prior to a test (though I'm sure that will also come in handy at various stages!) and hence if you knew too much about what was coming up, then it wouldn't necessarily be a true reflection.

From what I can tell about the whole process, it seems that BA are trying to test all aspects of a person's abilities. This means that just being a maths or physics genius won't be enough if you can't actually operate effectively as part of a crew; similarly, being an excellent team player with great hand/eye coordination will be redundant if you are perplexed by some intermediate level mental arithmetic!

BA will know what they are looking for, and all we can do is give it our best and hope that will be enough!

Libertine Winno
19th Feb 2014, 14:42
It's all gone quiet on this thread now...nobody received any further invites or, worse, rejections?! Is there anyone still waiting to hear one way or another?