PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Future Pilot Programme.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15

Budding
10th Mar 2015, 20:12
Good evening all,

It appears that stage 1 selection with Oxford is either 12th/13th of Mar.
The closing date for applications however is 11th Mar, leaving less than 24hrs and 48hrs respectively to book dates, pay, prep, get time off work, book hotels etc. I appreciate that's not really a great ask but if you happen to be out of the UK or on a residential course it becomes near impossible.

Does anyone know if Oxford are holding any other selection dates AFTER this week?

Or does anyone know if Perez or CTC are doing so? (as I may look to re-submit before 1200hrs tomorrow).

I'd be very grateful for any information anyone may have. A private message would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance for your help.

LadyL2013
10th Mar 2015, 20:18
If it went like it did last year, they release handfuls of dates at a time. I imagine they will release more dates.

Budding
10th Mar 2015, 20:28
LadyL2013, Thank you soo much for your help.

Can anyone else clarify this as a certainty?

kirungi1
10th Mar 2015, 20:55
Budding, I will agree with LadyL2013 that more slots will be available throughout March as promised.

Best of luck!

Tommerhawk
10th Mar 2015, 21:19
@Budding

I too have had problems with getting time off work to make selection dates later this week, so I phoned CTC this morning. The lady I spoke to assured me that future dates will become available, you just have to have an eye on them and keep checking.

I assume that will be the same across all FTOs.

tobitronics
10th Mar 2015, 21:31
Still waiting here as well, applied to FTE

Budding
10th Mar 2015, 21:32
Thanks soo much, that is fantastic news, I was expecting a nightmare day tomorrow booking last minute flights.

Again, I will ring tomorrow to check but i've already booked and paid for a big holiday (1-22 Apr), does anyone know when the next (interview) stage is? If we are lucky to make it that far?

Thanks again and good luck all!

Tommerhawk
10th Mar 2015, 21:34
@Budding

From the BA FPP website:

"The Selection Centre
Your FTO will send you details of the date and time of the selection centre- these selection centre days are planned throughout March 2015. Here you will undergo a series of tests, as well as a group exercise and interview, to assess your ability to complete the arduous training course ahead.

British Airways Recruitment Centre
If you are successful at the FTO selection centre then you will be invited to the next stage, which is a further testing day at BA. This will be arranged during a 2-week period, which is currently planned for the end of April 2015, at the British Airways Recruitment Centre, Waterside, near London Heathrow Airport.
If you are successful at BA testing, you will then be invited back, on another day, to Waterside for the final selection centre. Here you’ll have a chance to meet and be interviewed by British Airways pilots, and be further assessed for your suitability to join the programme."

Budding
10th Mar 2015, 21:52
Apologies for being soo slack, that was clearly on their website. However, thank you again for your help, fingers crossed it's after the 22nd.

Good luck all.

pjh2015
11th Mar 2015, 10:08
Funky, I can confirm it is true.

Past intakes have been as you described but this intake, BA are doing it differently. BA screen them initially, then CTC, then initial responses are sent out.

EZY_FR
11th Mar 2015, 10:43
I spoke to someone from OAA regarding the initial application process. When you submit your form, BA screens your qualifications against known criteria and your answers for the multiple choice questions. If they are acceptable, then the form is sent to the FTO for further screening, i.e. they look at your CV and Cover Letter.
Hope that helps.

GeorgEGNT
11th Mar 2015, 11:07
Makes perfect sense to me.

Any further CTC updates folks? I've a feeling I'll be waiting well into next week.

EZY_FR
11th Mar 2015, 11:15
I reckon they are waiting until the window closes before sending out the remaining invitations.

GeorgEGNT
11th Mar 2015, 11:27
I thought that at first but they've sent out e-mails this week.

GeorgEGNT
11th Mar 2015, 11:59
Invites could still easily be going out into the back end of next week I think. Someone on this forum received their invite yesterday (or Monday perhaps?) who had applied on the first day of the window.

Either progress is slow or BA are spitting successful applications out in a non-chronological order back to the FTOs for their consideration. It is reasonable to assume either case.

Either way I'm still waiting and doing my best to be as patient as possible.

Officer Kite
11th Mar 2015, 12:10
I think it's fair to say there isn't much of a correlation between application sent and invitation received. I feel as hard as it is, just sit tight and try not to play the guessing game .

funkyt111
11th Mar 2015, 12:20
I think it's fair to say there isn't much of a correlation between application sent and invitation received. I feel as hard as it is, just sit tight and try not to play the guessing game .

I couldn't agree more. Each school operates differently. Just try and sit tight and keep your fingers crossed.

BaronVonBarnstormer
11th Mar 2015, 12:37
It isn't over until its over gals and guys.

Does anyone know any numbers for the next stage? Say a fair guess of 1000 over the three schools, that gives a 1/10 chance?..... I've got worse odds from William Hill :}

GeorgEGNT
11th Mar 2015, 19:19
This is an incredible opportunity yes. But it still is just one of many routes into this business.

MarkSRFC
11th Mar 2015, 19:26
Submitted my application on Monday evening and just received an invite for assessment with FTE.

V1_
11th Mar 2015, 20:03
Congratulations Mark! Just out of curiosity, what was the range of dates available to book? I haven't heard back yet from FTE and just wanted a timeframe.

Ryan93
11th Mar 2015, 21:27
MarkSRFC - Congratulations are in order! What was your selection of dates like? Still waiting for a response from FTE; hopefully they'll inform those still waiting either way, whether we've been invited or not.

Warp
11th Mar 2015, 22:23
@volunteerpilot & all

I have just had my assessment and I have to let you all know that the info which appears on the BA site, I believe, is correct. There will be two further stages after the FTOs, both taking place at Waterside. One of them at the end of April and one at the beginning of May.

I am not sure, however, why this will happen and what exactly can they possibly ask of you in two interview days.

gbotley
11th Mar 2015, 22:30
Warp,

As far as i've understood the first is a general round of assessment, more like a typical assessment centre... the second is an interview with the airline pilot recruitment / pilots themselves..

Secondly, has anyone had a response from CTC yet?

BravoAlphaWhiskey
11th Mar 2015, 22:31
For those who applied to the programme through CTC, it might be worth checking your junk mailbox. I found my CTC response in there!

PPRuNeUser0207
12th Mar 2015, 09:45
Has anybody booed their day for FTE, I can't seem to find where you pay the fee?

BaronVonBarnstormer
12th Mar 2015, 10:25
Has anybody booed their day for FTE, I can't seem to find where you pay the fee?

On your invite email there is a link. That sends you to an entirely reputable looking secure pay site :\. When you pay print out the confirmation when it gives you the option. They don't send an email to you, which is annoying as FTE want proof of payment at the assessment center. I didn't, and there is no option to log back in and see your payment. Think i will have to take my bank statement with me :ugh:

BVB

GeorgEGNT
12th Mar 2015, 11:06
The fee is to cover the administrative costs of running these selection events (and I believe some of the costs of processing successful applicants too). If you attend the selection event you've received the service you've paid for whether successful or not. Everyone chips in.

PPRuNeUser0207
12th Mar 2015, 11:14
Wow, its working out at €312, and FTE still want me to pay the full amount even though I completed this very selection less than 6 months ago for another airline...:ugh:

GeorgEGNT
12th Mar 2015, 11:42
For a shot at arguably the best scheme out there it's worth the expense for most.

Stocious
12th Mar 2015, 11:43
The selection fee is a drop in the ocean compared with what's to come.

If you're baulking now, maybe best off calling it a day! ;)

It's all worth it in the end though, trust me.

PPRuNeUser0207
12th Mar 2015, 11:47
I'm not disputing that its not worth the cost. However, realistically speaking, I'm questioning it I can afford it at this very moment.

Having said that. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... :ok:

GeorgEGNT
12th Mar 2015, 11:51
There's two ways of looking at this. We're either completely stupid or we're willing to spend money in order to achieve our dreams. (I of course subscribe to the latter belief).

I've spent money on travel and accommodation to head "daan saath" to be tested for a scheme that tested 600 UK candidates along with thousands more worldwide for around 6 available expat places. Etihad sponsorship back in 2009 I think.

None in the UK were successful. :}

Don't buy a ticket and all that.

funkyt111
12th Mar 2015, 11:56
If you are successful with FTE they refund the £250 back to you. So instead of the course costing £84,000 it will cost you £83,750. Massive difference.. :ok:

GeorgEGNT
12th Mar 2015, 11:57
Well I never knew that. There you go then.
If the prospect of a BAFPP place wasn't enough to motivate you to do well...:}

PPRuNeUser0207
12th Mar 2015, 12:00
When did you get the information regarding the refund? @funkyt111

G-F0RC3
12th Mar 2015, 12:04
You also have to pay the additional fee, which is £7200 this year at FTE compared with £9000 last year, so that's a good thing. But there are other things to pay for as well, such as medical fees and whatnot. If you make it all the way through then you do get your £225 back, but it's pretty insignificant compared with the amounts you're paying out. Feasibly you can expect total costs to add up to £95,000 at FTE (not sure about the others but suspect they are similar). Luckily BA are prepared to guarantee up to £100,000. Accommodation and meals are included at FTE, so there's not a huge amount extra required during the course as far as living expenses go.

LandingConfig
12th Mar 2015, 12:11
Previously other FTOs have refunded the cost if the candidate was successful, I'm sure?

Not sure if this is the case here however.

The fee works out at about £220. I have no confirmation either.

funkyt111
12th Mar 2015, 12:11
@jumpseat

Directly from FTE's website.

"The initial phase of the BA FPP selection process is free of charge. For those candidates making it to the 1st assessment stage, an amount of £225 will be charged to conduct the required aptitude tests and interviews at a venue in the UK, to be announced in due course. A mechanism in order to process these payments will be created on the FTEJerez website. This amount will be fully refunded to those eventually training at FTEJerez."

@G-Forc3

Thanks for the additional info. :ok:

PPRuNeUser0207
12th Mar 2015, 12:18
@funkyt111 Thanks for the info!

newbie here
12th Mar 2015, 12:25
Dear All,
I applied via FTE on the 25th but I haven't heard from them yet. Do you think they may have lost my application? Any ideas?

GeorgEGNT
12th Mar 2015, 13:09
I've just got off the phone with CTC. They say they haven't received my application from BA yet so that is the reason for the hold up in my case anyway.

Newbie, did you receive a confirmation e-mail from BA when you submitted your application?

newbie here
12th Mar 2015, 13:16
GeorgENT, yes I received confirmation. Perhaps they didn't process them in the exact same order they received the applications. I was just wondering because a few of you sent in applications later than me and you'be already been contacted.

Ryan93
12th Mar 2015, 13:46
Newbie - I'm in the same boat and I submitted my application on the 27th, however I received an acknowledgement of submission from BA.

ManUtd1999
12th Mar 2015, 14:23
I applied to FTE towards the start and haven't heard anything either newbie. If you received a confirmation email I doubt they've lost it. Either they're still working through applications, or we're in a reject pile they haven't got round to informing yet. Hopefully the first option :ok:

McMaverick
12th Mar 2015, 14:31
Applied to OAA and sent my application on the 4th, still waiting whilst assessment days started today :uhoh:

GeorgEGNT
12th Mar 2015, 15:07
CTC are running assessments into the first week of April. I'm assuming the other FTOs will be operating a similar programme of selection days.

"You will find out either way in the next couple of weeks"

No news is good news. It's frustrating but as long as you've heard nothing you're still in the game.

SuperJet
12th Mar 2015, 15:24
Applied last weekend, got the summons to the assessment centre by email yesterday, so that's under 48 hours response time... Happily and pleasantly surprised... :)

pjh2015
12th Mar 2015, 16:10
Congrats! Which FTO and what time yesterday did you get the email? :ok:

EDIT: Oh nvm, just got my invite from Jerez :D

AtomKraft
12th Mar 2015, 16:49
My Daughter's had an email inviting her to send her cv to Oxford.

Half an hour later she got the email inviting her for the aptitude tests etc, and asking her for £250....

Now, call me cynical- because I am, but ...

1. Do they just invite everyone, to get lots of £250s

2. If she is successful at this, and the later stages, how much money will she need to spend before she is done?

Ta muchly.

polar25
12th Mar 2015, 17:01
Congrats pjh2015! When did you apply? Which dates are available?

BaronVonBarnstormer
12th Mar 2015, 17:14
My Daughter's had an email inviting her to send her cv to Oxford.

Half an hour later she got the email inviting her for the aptitude tests etc, and asking her for £250....

Now, call me cynical- because I am, but ...

1. Do they just invite everyone, to get lots of £250s

2. If she is successful at this, and the later stages, how much money will she need to spend before she is done?

Ta muchly.

1. Admittedly this process is a nice little earner for the schools, any other industry and you wouldn't have to pay for an interview but hey, its aviation, airlines would charge you for breathing the air in the departure lounge if they could. BUT and its a big but; this scheme is the best way in to the industry at the moment and its doubtful that a better opportunity will come along in the near future. Also this year BA were actively encouraging more women to apply for the FPP so your daughter possibly might have a slightly better chance.

2. All this info is on the FPP site however the long and the short of it is roughly £7k to the school up front, then a BIG loan that is guaranteed by BA and other costs like medicals, food etc.

funkyt111
12th Mar 2015, 17:40
Volunteerpilot,

Your perception of what is required to be successful in an application for the BA FPP is very far off the mark...

volunteerpilot
12th Mar 2015, 17:53
Enlighten me?

AtomKraft
12th Mar 2015, 17:55
Well. She's certainly not brilliant at maths and physics, but then, neither am I and I've got 12000 hours.....

Born leader? Yep!

Currently in UAS and loves flying? Yep.

Must be a chance I think!

funkyt111
12th Mar 2015, 18:01
Brilliance in Maths and Physics will certainly assist you to some extent in your application but it is far from what is required. A basic understanding of Maths & Physics (GCSE level) is all that is all you need.

To be successful the two most important factors are motivation and demonstrating that you are the kind of candidate that British Airways are looking for. Your motivation for the role will shape your whole performance throughout the process.

Having strong leadership qualities is just one of the skills required to be successful. You also need to be a strong team player, a good communicator, a good problem solver and have the ability to remain level headed and calm in pressured circumstances.

These are just SOME of the qualities required. There are others but these qualities carry a lot more weight in the process than simply being brilliant at maths and physics.

Officer Kite
12th Mar 2015, 18:45
It's very important to remember that flying is as much a social aspect as it as a technical one, you cannot have one and not the other if you want to be a pilot. If BA (and every airline I've looked into for that matter) wanted maths and physics geniuses they would have stated in the criteria that they want A-Level A*A*A* to include maths and physics, and I assure you they would still have no shortage of applicants meeting that criteria if they were to do so. The fact they haven't proves that they want the right personality to go with it.

All at sea
12th Mar 2015, 19:23
Hi guys

Does anyone know if there's a cut off during the day? Like after the aptitude tests or does everyone invited do the whole lot including the interview. I was at a BA assessment for a different job and those unsuccessful in the morning tests were not invited to stay for the interviews in the afternoon.

Q1W2E3R4
12th Mar 2015, 20:54
Hi Guys,

I have submitted my application Monday around 2 am in the morning, I have applied to FTE however still waiting for response, do you all know where they respond and if they respond ?

All the best and good luck with it.

StickAndShudder
12th Mar 2015, 21:40
All at sea: I saw in another thread that the FTOs now don't send people home at lunchtime if they stuff up the aptitude tests, so they also get a chance at the interview

1mag1n3
13th Mar 2015, 10:42
I applied on Wednesday evening (last minute...) and got a reply from Oxford the next day in the early afternoon inviting me to an assessment centre. Very efficient turn around!

There were two assessment centres available with spaces on the 18th and 19th March. These were the only dates available.

kirungi1
13th Mar 2015, 11:01
1mag1n3, congratulations and good luck!

GeorgEGNT
13th Mar 2015, 11:07
Congrats! Bet you're glad you applied now!

V1_
13th Mar 2015, 11:12
Kirungi: have you received a reply from FTE? Still nothing over here.

1mag1n3
13th Mar 2015, 11:22
Cheers guys!

Best of luck to everyone else still in the mix.

I wasn't going to comment on those speculating on what BA are looking for - but I'll add my humble opinion. It is impossible to second guess what they are looking for - the only way to find out is to go through the process. Having worked within a recruitment process in a large business I can advise that it is the whole package that is desired. The combination of skills, attitude, intelligence, exam grades etc. is the 'secret' formula. Having a suitable level and mix of their particular formula will mean you pass through the process and possibly get offered a position. Even then a certain amount of luck, timing and other factors will of course play a part. Saying that you need this and that, including these grades and skills is only a guess really!

kirungi1
13th Mar 2015, 12:13
V1; winners don't quit. So keep believing even when there is no reason to. I'm not in the mix for this campaign but good luck to you.

1mag1n3; "Even then a certain amount of luck, timing and other factors will of course play a part." - very true :ok:

RSG
13th Mar 2015, 12:23
Well done to those with invites so far, I've been reading this thread with interest over the last week

Judging by recent posts, it seems pretty quiet on the CTC front - has anyone heard from them in the last few days? Or, like me, are you still waiting? I submitted last Saturday

Thanks and good luck to all

Cmab7
13th Mar 2015, 12:41
RSG,

I'm in the same boat as you, applied just over a week ago and yet to hear anything. Waiting here patiently with everything crossed.

GeorgEGNT
13th Mar 2015, 12:51
Still waiting for CTC.
They say they haven't received my application from BA yet who are screening them first. They are running selection days into April though so there are plenty of assessments days.
Applied 28th Feb.

jim5o
13th Mar 2015, 14:54
Has anyone received a rejection yet? I assume all the invitations will be sent out first then, and people will be informed that they were unsuccessful? Still waiting to hear back from Oxford, thinking it might not be good news as people already have heard back. I applied on the first day it was open.

flyer1123
13th Mar 2015, 15:07
How do you CTC are running selection into April? From calling them?

I have been lucky enough to be invited for selection, but on the booking page they are only showing next week slots. April will be much better for me if they will still offer - did they say when in April? Thanks.

All at sea
13th Mar 2015, 15:44
Thanks StickandShudder. Just going through the worst possible outcomes in my head...making for very restless nights because obviously there isn't enough hours in the day to worry.

tobitronics
13th Mar 2015, 17:01
Its been a week since submitting to FTE...

Well at least I have not been rejected immediately, there still is hope :D

LandingConfig
13th Mar 2015, 17:07
Don't give up hope. The fact that mine went in well before the deadline probably contributed to my quick response. I can imagine there were a LOT of applications towards the end of the application window, there will be a lot to go through at all the FTOs.

Homa Bird
13th Mar 2015, 17:42
I applied last Sunday and just received my invitation from CTC (5 days later). Now I am certain that CTC are processing applications in a non-chronological order. "Have a little patience". :ok:

tobitronics
13th Mar 2015, 18:06
Have been denied after a week of waiting (the mail received was from BA). Good luck to the rest of you guys!

StickAndShudder
13th Mar 2015, 18:49
Got my PFO from FTE this afternoon (applied 2 weeks ago). Email was from BA

Good luck to all still in the mix!

newbie here
13th Mar 2015, 18:55
Got my reply, I didn't make it so now I can get on with my life. At least I know now. Good luck to those who are going to the assessment day. Make sure you are well prepared and have a good rest the night before.

PPRuNeUser0207
13th Mar 2015, 19:29
Does anybody have any suggestions where to stay near LHR and BA HQ, I will be flying in the night before.

Warp
13th Mar 2015, 19:53
Does anyone know what the BA selection stages contain (group exercises, simulator?) and why they might have two of them this year?

funkyt111
13th Mar 2015, 21:15
@Jumpseat

Do you mean for the final stages of BA or? If so then the Crown Plaza Heathrow is about a 10 minute taxi ride away. I do believe there are buses and BA will give you information on the schedules nearer the time should you be successful in reaching the final stages.

@Warp

Based on BA's website, you can expect numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning and some aptitude testing at the first BA stage and then just a final stage interview. The reason for BA splitting the final stage into two this year is because it makes sense from a HR point of view as lots of candidates in the previous years were not meeting the required level in either the verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning or aptitude tests. This year HR will only be interviewing the candidates that have passed all these tests and thus it will save a lot of HR's time and resources.

FLP_MB339
13th Mar 2015, 21:45
Hi to everybody and thanks a lot for all the information I have been silently getting from this thread during these long days of hopeful waiting.
Apparently today FTE sent a lot of PFOs and I received one of them. I applied on the 28th, evidently not being answered in the first few days really seems to be a bad sign but who knows... Fingers crossed for those who are still waiting!!

This was my first application to the FPP and I would like to ask you since when the programme exists and if it has been done regularly each year since then.
Does someone know the chances of BA opening the programme next year too?

It would really help relieving my disappointment right now, knowing that there will be another FPP soon. Maybe Virgin is opening their FFP this next fall.

Thanks again and lots of luck to all that passed this stage.

funkyt111
13th Mar 2015, 22:36
@Volunteerpilot,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been unsuccessful. However, judging by your comments, I think you really need to consider in great detail your motivation towards becoming an airline pilot.

Best of luck in the future. :ok:

LandingConfig
13th Mar 2015, 23:20
Not disappointed at all, they saved me £250, grateful really.

That's one way of looking at it...

Officer Kite
13th Mar 2015, 23:21
Volunteerpilot, I may be completely wrong however I can't help but get the impression that you really wanted this, though since you haven't been successful you are being somewhat bitter about the whole thing. I'm sure many of us here have tried numerous times before at a number of schemes and still have nothing (I definitely have !). That doesn't mean anything other than you won't be becoming a pilot with this particular scheme this time around, nothing more.

I find that the best thing to do is go back through your application. Analyse it objectively and see where you may have fallen short in the eyes of the assessors with regards matching the competencies they want. I genuinely am not trying to be funny but it will go a whole lot further than pretending you didn't want it and posting bitter comments about the whole thing as it appears to me that it's something you would have loved to do.

All at sea
13th Mar 2015, 23:58
For all of those that have received bad news recently, I suggest taking on the advice about looking for other roles within BA. They want those that can fit in with the BA brand as well as those that can handle being a commercial pilot. Not only is it great experience but it also shows a commitment to BA for future applications. Good luck!

EZY_FR
14th Mar 2015, 00:33
There is something that is confusing me regarding FTE's statement on using previous assessments for FPP. They say that, if you have already passed the FTE assessments, then you don't need to retake them for your FPP assessment. This may be a stupid question, but does that mean it's just a pass/fail scenario for the tests and most of the weight is put on the group exercise and the interview?

Warp
14th Mar 2015, 01:14
EZY_FR,

I believe you are right. You have to pass all of the tests and then rank in the top X people whom they can send to Waterside. (X being the number of places each school can send forward)

It is also a pass/fail test and a competition to have the highest score. You get a score for the interview and the group exercise as well, as far as my HR knowledge can tell.

Jaair
14th Mar 2015, 08:22
Nothing from CTC here. Anyone heard from them?

wiggy
14th Mar 2015, 08:47
Jumpseat M

Does anybody have any suggestions where to stay near LHR and BA HQ, I will be flying in the night before.

The Thistle, Premier Inn T5(note the emphasis) and the Arora Bath Road (note the spelling) are the closest to Waterside, there's also the T5 Travelodge. Failing those any hotel along the Bath Road gives good access to the bus network (which is free on most Transport for London buses as far as Harlington corner). Just east of Harlington corner there's the Bath Road Premier Inn. There's also a Travelodge about a km even further east on the Bath Road which is handy for Cranebank but can be an acquired taste, as indeed are some of the B&B's in Longford ......

kirungi1
14th Mar 2015, 10:23
This was my first application to the FPP and I would like to ask you since when the programme exists and if it has been done regularly each year since then.
Does someone know the chances of BA opening the programme next year too?

FLP MB339, I'm sorry that your application wasn't successful on this occasion but you could reflect on this experience and bounce back a much stronger candidate. We all fail in one way or the other but how you respond (enthusiasm) to this challenge should be enough motivation for the next campaign.
You have to keep faith and belief that BA will keep this initiative going for the foreseeable future.

JDA2012
14th Mar 2015, 11:05
After some waiting for my preferred week to open up, I'm now booked in with OAA on 27th March.

If anyone else will be there and wants to get in touch, I'd like that. I can't discuss specifics of the selection (we are asked not to) but can confirm that all activities are scored, all must be passed and an exceptional score in one or more activites will not carry inadequate scores in others - they are looking for well-rounded individuals.

Quite apart from the goal which we all hope to achieve, the assessment days can be a fun, educational and invigorating experience at which you can meet some interesting individuals and learn a lot about yourself. I consider the £250 cost to be rejected last year money well spent as it allowed me to grow as a person and gave me direction, in fact helping me to secure another job - though I was a lot less pragmatic about it at the time!

Good luck to all, try to enjoy it, and put extra effort into polishing those skills which you know are your weakest. Your natural talents will shine through (I went full-on technical last year - big mistake).

Those not selected - I am sorry. Read about BA/IAG, learn their values and goals as a company, and align yourself to them. You should want to be a BA pilot, not just a pilot in general, and should understand what that means. If you can get any flying at all done though, even just a trial lesson, that would help a lot.

I know it can be hard for those with fewer years of experience (particularly at work) on which to draw to build a CV and write inspirational answers, but just look at where you are in life, and think how you could be more (or just how you could express yourself better). Anything that moves you closer to your goal is a worthwhile step, but you must really want this and be prepared to work hard for it. That starts even before application.

I write this as a failed applicant last year, so do take it with a grain of salt. Still, I hope to do better this year, and if what I say helps one more person to do better as well, I am glad of that opportunity.

funkyt111
14th Mar 2015, 11:30
After some waiting for my preferred week to open up, I'm now booked in with OAA on 27th March.

If anyone else will be there and wants to get in touch, I'd like that. I can't discuss specifics of the selection (we are asked not to) but can confirm that all activities are scored, all must be passed and an exceptional score in one or more activites will not carry inadequate scores in others - they are looking for well-rounded individuals.

Quite apart from the goal which we all hope to achieve, the assessment days can be a fun, educational and invigorating experience at which you can meet some interesting individuals and learn a lot about yourself. I consider the £250 cost to be rejected last year money well spent as it allowed me to grow as a person and gave me direction, in fact helping me to secure another job - though I was a lot less pragmatic about it at the time!

Good luck to all, try to enjoy it, and put extra effort into polishing those skills which you know are your weakest. Your natural talents will shine through (I went full-on technical last year - big mistake).

Those not selected - I am sorry. Read about BA/IAG, learn their values and goals as a company, and align yourself to them. You should want to be a BA pilot, not just a pilot in general, and should understand what that means.If you can get any flying at all done though, even just a trial lesson, that would help a lot.

I know it can be hard for those with fewer years of experience (particularly at work) on which to draw to build a CV and write inspirational answers, but just look at where you are in life, and think how you could be more (or just how you could express yourself better). Anything that moves you closer to your goal is a worthwhile step, but you must really want this and be prepared to work hard for it. That starts even before application.

I write this as a failed applicant last year, so do take it with a grain of salt. Still, I hope to do better this year, and if what I say helps one more person to do better as well, I am glad of that opportunity.

I couldn't agree more. A commendable piece of advice. I too also failed last year (and the year before that). Looking back at my initial application, despite making it through to the final stages, I was far from the finished article. I see a lot of users on pprune asking the same naive questions I was asking two years ago. To have any chance of success, it's imperative that you understand exactly the qualities BA are looking for and think of how you can demonstrate such qualities throughout the process. It's not an easy process to go through. It's very rigorous and without thorough preparation and understanding of the role its difficult to have any success.

To those who have been unsuccessful at the initial application phase, then the reason for failure lies somewhere in your application (usually the essay answers). The best advice I can give is go through and scrutinize your application and try and identify why you were unsuccessful. The answer is there, you just need to find it.

boy_wonder4
14th Mar 2015, 12:31
Great words JDA2012. I've been monitoring this net the last week or so as I am also still awaiting a response (from CTC). It's great to see people trying to break into this industry have a positive and helpful approach to things.

Best of luck lads.

GeorgEGNT
14th Mar 2015, 13:11
Firstly, I am very disheartened by the amount of people who seem to 'disappear' off the Aviation 'scene' when unsuccessful in this selection process only to return again when it re-opens.

There are clearly some committed aviators here but unfortunately there also seems to be some present here who would probably be better off questioning their motivations for joining the business all together.

There really is a noticeable difference in attitudes of 'wannabe' pilots (integrated and modular girls and boys included). I suppose that's the case in all walks of life really. Let's try and close the gap anyway!

Secondly, please try not to get bitter if you don't make it. A) it's not very pleasant to read on this thread and B) it's a very uncomfortable feeling to have, so it's best to override it for your own sanity!
It is not the end of the line and there has already been some fantastic advice dished out here which should help moving forward.

As I've previously mentioned there are still many other routes into the RHS of a commercial airliner and I'm certain (if all you'll insist on applying for is this programme) there will be other FPPs to come.

As for those who aren't flying. Get yourself to your local club because everyday that you're not flying, you're seriously missing out.

LandingConfig
14th Mar 2015, 14:32
Some good advice here. This was my first year applying as well, so I am very pleased that I have been invited to selection.

My advice would be to do some networking - see if there are some people who can help you out with your application. If they fly for BA then that's obviously a major bonus. Another thing - do your research! Everyone says it over and over, but it really could make the difference! Read over the job description, and make sure you have addressed each requirement, i.e what to include in the cover letter. If you really are passionate about this career then it should be fairly easy to put into words, that said you may spend a lot of time moving things around and changing words trying to make it perfect. The thing to remember is that it isn't going to be perfect.

Of course, this is only my advice on improving chances of being selected for assessment, but there's more to the process than that - it's only the first hurdle of many!

As others have mentioned, I can only feel that some people have the wrong attitude here if the FPP is seen as the only way to the RHS.

ManUtd1999
14th Mar 2015, 14:54
As others have mentioned, I can only feel that some people have the wrong attitude here if the FPP is seen as the only way to the RHS.

To be fair, if you're unwilling to use a house a security this is one of only 2 (along with Virgin) integrated schemes available. I wouldn't say this is a poor attitude, more a sensible one. Ofc there is the modular route as well, the pro's and cons of which have been discussed ad infinitum on here before.

LandingConfig
14th Mar 2015, 15:37
That's the position I'm in - BA is the only integrated scheme that realistically would work for me (didn't know VS had that option). Aer Lingus' is another I'm watching closely. My other option is modular.

baloney nutshell
14th Mar 2015, 15:55
Hello fellow wannabes, I applied at the last minute to FTE and received an invite the following day. I have not booked yet as both available dates are tricky, but will sort something out and definitely attend assessment.

However..while it is my dream to be flying for a living, and from the sorts of questions and requirements in the application, BA seem to be quite well aligned with my own values, something about the nature of the job does concern me.

We all know that, under normal circumstances, computers can do our prospective job better than us. Indeed, for most of the time computers will be flying the plane and we will be monitoring things. Now this does not sound very interesting, and yet it is something that I am extremely keen on doing.

Anyone else experience this type of cognitive dissonance..or have any thoughts about it?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Mar 2015, 16:57
Volunteerpilot,

I received that letter 5 times from BA in the 90's. 20 years later, I find myself in the sharp end of one of their jets.

Dont give up.

kirungi1
14th Mar 2015, 17:13
Thanks CAT3C AUTOLAND, you won't read anything more reassuring and stimulating than that. Super! Winners don't quit.

FLP_MB339
14th Mar 2015, 21:48
Thanks everybody again for your kind and honest suggestions!

I would like to point out that I am not bitter at all, just disappointed. Nonetheless, I feel ready to revise my application, improve my profile and make it more suitable for the role as soon as a new chance is available.

That said, I have actually felt, from the very beginning, extremely close to those that seem to me to be BA's values. On top of that, I am not desperately trying to be a pilot. I have a strong passion for flight but I am also 32, I have a job and, knowing myself and having a partner who works (and fights to survive) in Vueling, I am sure I would be very frustrated as a low-cost, low-salary, low-consideration pilot. I don't know if I made myself clear enough, it is just my point of view and my personal preference (and an answer to those who say that it is not a matter of being a pilot at all costs, I agree 100%). I would have really loved to be a BA pilot because it think they have that approach to aviation that only big prestigious companies still preserve. My mother worked as a flight attendant in Alitalia in the 70s and 80s, during the golden age of the airline, and at that time you could really and easily feel proud of your job, both in the cockpit and in the cabin. BA, as other major airlines, struggles to maintain this style and this concept and I appreciate that the utmost. It is an added value that attracted me to this programme, along with the more obvious motivations.

I suspect the sum of being 32, not being British and not having any previous flying experience definitely dug the grave of my application. And since on the former two I have no control (the first will actually go worse every year), maybe I should do my best to save some money and, at least, have a try at taking controls of a plane before re-applying.

Back to the nationality issue, I dare ask you a last question. I know it is a delicate matter and I would like not to be misunderstood. I am asking out of true interest and with good intention. How much do you think it hinders the application process the fact of not being British? Honestly I have seen nobody on this forum pass the first stage that was not from UK. Maybe I am simply wrong or it is due to pure statistics. However, let me make myself clear, even if it did exist a preference, I would totally agree with it. After all it is British Airways, I deem it reasonable and fair to give preference to those, other features being equal, who are English mother tongue and who are more integrated in British society. As a foreigner, I am curious to know your opinion about that.

Thank a lot and good luck to those that proved successful at this stage!

Pushkovinator
15th Mar 2015, 06:43
It seems that a lot of applicants are still waiting for a response from CTC and OAA.

I myself have applied to CTC on March 1st (Almost 2 weeks now) and have still not heard anything back yet.

As someone pointed out earlier on in this thread, one way of looking at it is that no news is good news, however with reading how people have been accepted to the next stage from FTE is making me worried.

Fingers crossed!

EZY_FR
15th Mar 2015, 08:43
It may just be a case where CTC is waiting to confirm the dates for their next batch of candidates to attend selection. Don't worry about it.

Ryan93
15th Mar 2015, 09:23
baloney nutshell - I'm actually still waiting for FTE which I'm starting to find worrying, it seems like the majority of FTE people have heard back. Is anyone else still in the same boat as me with FTE?

So you were only given two dates to choose from?

GeorgEGNT
15th Mar 2015, 09:29
I've mentioned previously that CTC have told me that they are running selection days all the way into April. I was also told that it could be the end of March before we find out whether we've been invited to one of said selection days.

My application still hasn't been screened by BA yet. It seems to be fairly straight forward once you get the initial nod from them though.

No news is definitely good news.

ManUtd1999
15th Mar 2015, 11:37
baloney nutshell - I'm actually still waiting for FTE which I'm starting to find worrying, it seems like the majority of FTE people have heard back. Is anyone else still in the same boat as me with FTE?

Yeah I'm still here waiting, applied towards the start of the window as well. It's not looking particularly hopeful but you never know

baloney nutshell
15th Mar 2015, 12:14
Ryan93 & ManUtd1999, the FTE dates when I looked were the 8th and 9th of April, so plenty of time for invites to be sent even if these are the only remaining dates.

newbie here
15th Mar 2015, 12:54
I'm also a little older than the average applicant and not originally from the UK. Like you, I also have a good job paying extremely well. These might work against us, we'll never know. Perhaps the nationality and the age doesn't matter at all but since we don't know how many foreign cadets they had on previous FPP and how many they are going to have this year we can't make assumptions. Maybe they feel that people who are already established in a good career would struggle when they realise that they are losing the comfortable lifestyle they worked so hard for. I don't know. It is certainly a big deal. If I embarked on this programme then I wouldn't be able to provide the same standard of living until at least I've reached 50! That is scary. I'm happy that the selection team has made that decision for me so early on. Nevertheless, I'm still keeping an eye on things here and want to see how people are doing throughout the selection process and beyond. I really hope that these guys and girls will keep us all up to date with the latest! Once again, good luck to everyone and do let us know how you are getting on!

G-F0RC3
15th Mar 2015, 14:02
There are people aged from 18 to 40+ on the FPP. Some are just out of school with little in the way of work experience, while others had careers as doctors, engineers, IT managers etc before joining. And not everyone on the FPP is British. So it's clear that a wide variety of people have made it, and those who don't make it should not look to their age, past career, or nationality as the reason (as long as they meet the entry criteria outlined on the BA FPP website).

Good luck to those still in the running! :)

Pushkovinator
15th Mar 2015, 17:56
Thanks George for the heads up!

I was also told that it could be the end of March before we find out whether we've been invited to one of said selection days.

This is certainly reassuring to hear.

Jaair
15th Mar 2015, 18:21
Boys and gals, looks like we've got a tense few weeks ahead of us!

Mr Jingles
15th Mar 2015, 20:14
Hi Folks,

I've been invited to assessment centre at OAA but may now not be able to make the date. Has anyone been able re-book their date? I've tried to call the school and also emailed them but their has been no answer.

bgbetts1
15th Mar 2015, 21:53
Hi EZY FR, where did you hear/read this statement?

funkyt111
15th Mar 2015, 22:00
FTE's website under the FAQ section.

PPRuNeUser0207
15th Mar 2015, 22:00
I have already been in discussion with FTE about this issue @bgbetts1

If you have passed the FTE exams, BA still want you to complete the group assessment, maths exam and 1-1 interview.

(Once 6 months haven't passed since sitting them)

Hope that helps.

EZY_FR
16th Mar 2015, 00:10
If you look at the FAQs on the FTE FPP page, you will find all the info on FTE re-assessments.

Flying5769
16th Mar 2015, 11:00
Hi Guys,

I've been invited to a FTE assessment day, was wondering what your opinions are on the PILAPT subscriptions. Looked at Skytest, latestpilotjobs and pilotaptitudetest.com and was wondering which of these would be worth taking out a subscription for? Obviously with the cost of the assessment day I would prefer the cheaper one but if another would be more beneficial I'd rather use that. Running out of time and need to make a decision!

Budding
16th Mar 2015, 11:03
Good morning all,

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed but with over 130 pages I have skimmed through the thread fairly quickly.

I'm just trying to find out a little more detail about stage 1 of the selection with Oxford. I don't want specific questions/answers just a good rough guide.

After looking at the email invite there are a few bits i'm unsure of:

1. Technical Test - What exactly is this? and how do I prep?

2. Understanding of Maths/Physics? I have not long ago passed a day 1 at CTC and the maths was easy, all basic GCSE stuff but I don't know if Oxford/BA will be different. Do you know if this will be the same? Also what sort of Physics questions will they be asking?

3. A multiple-choice test of technical reasoning. Any ideas at all?

4. A dynamic multi-task test. Again, any ideas on this one? Other than guess work?

If anyone can shed any light on this (happy to receive PMs) or simply point me in the right direction i'd be hugely grateful, at the same time i'll continue searching.

Thank you!

GeorgEGNT
16th Mar 2015, 11:25
Don't be offended if the information you receive is basic. From what I've read it would seem that BA have (justifiably) instructed candidates to refrain from sharing specific details of the selection process. General pilapt test information on the other hand may be readily available and heading your way!

Thorough research deep into the bowels of this forum will yield some snippets of information from which you can prepare from.

I haven't attended a selection day by the way. Just giving the heads up. (We're all in the same boat).

funkyt111
16th Mar 2015, 11:33
@Budding,

Correct me if I'm wrong but from looking at your previous posts, I assume you have applied to Oxford? OAA's aptitude tests are completely different to CTCs so the selection process will be a little different.

Budding
16th Mar 2015, 11:51
Apologies,

Edited for clarity.

Totally understand if people can't share much/anything. I know people are instructed not to share any detailed information but anything would be very helpful.

Ie. Physics is a very broad subject.. I can obviously take an educated guess here but any confirmation or a pointer in the right direction would be excellent.

Thanks again

All at sea
16th Mar 2015, 12:09
One week today until the interview. Panic stations!

GeorgEGNT
16th Mar 2015, 14:21
Still waiting personally but I've just discovered that I probably sealed my own fate before I'd even submitted the application.

The application window opened and closed whilst I was on my honeymoon which made things awkward. Certificates weren't at hand etc.

I've noticed an error on the qualifications section, specifically within the list of my GCSE grades. I've listed the correct amount of each grade but have got two subject's grades mixed up (1 B, 1 C). From what I've read this will most probably result in the chop should I make it to Phase 2.

Bugger.

A random Aviator
16th Mar 2015, 14:30
Hey guys, for those who have received their invitation email to the FTE assessment day, did anyone experience a message saying "no slot available" when trying to book an interview?

Budding
16th Mar 2015, 15:00
GeorgEGNT,

I struggle to believe that, explain the circumstances and they'd be an idiot to chop you because of that unless if somehow dropped you below the minimum. Bare in mind that I don't have 3 A-Levels and I don't have a degree (YET) and I don't have the academic equivalent. I do have SOMETHING different which they have looked at and accepted so I think they are more flexible that people seem to think.

funkyt111
16th Mar 2015, 15:05
@Budding,

I'm sorry to say that if you don't have 3 A levels or equivalent (or a degree, masters, PHD) then it's only a matter of time before BA realise this and reject your application unless I'm missing something?

GeorgEGNT
16th Mar 2015, 15:15
Budding,

You'd hope that but it's a very competitive process at the end of the day.
I'd be delighted to be able to stay on, I'd understand if I was sent packing.

Funky, I think he has a non-official equivalent but something which is of interest and can be treated as an equivalent. If that makes sense?

Flying5769
16th Mar 2015, 15:51
Hi Guys,

Just wondering how people are preparing for there assessment days? Thinking of purchasing a subscription to one of the Pilapt Preparation Softwares but not sure how useful these are? Any help would be appreciated as running out of time.

Thanks

Budding
16th Mar 2015, 16:04
GeorgEGNT,

Fingers crossed for you and start to prep now, the time between acceptance and the stage 1 is short! I'm realising that now.

Funkyt111,

There is a LOT between an A2 and a BSc, just take a look at the National Qualifications Framework. An A2 sits at level 3 and a BSc sits at level 6, you've got plenty of quals at levels 4 and 5 (including HNDs and Foundation degrees). You also have lots of stuff that sits at Level 6 (and far beyond) that isn't the same volume as a degree. It's not always as simple as it first seems. I'd like to believe my education is far in excess of A-Levels and a degree (albeit not academically higher than a degree yet). I'll cross my fingers too but it's always worth trying. If I had a £1 for every time I saw someone progress through the first stage of something without meeting the minimum requirement i'd have at least £3, but seriously, it does happen.

I'm just sitting here doing a bit of revision now and wondered if i'm likely to have to remember specific numbers, for example the speed of light/sound, gravity or the formula for drage etc. Or do you think that will be provided within a relevant question..?

funkyt111
16th Mar 2015, 16:34
@Budding,

I understand there are lots of other qualifications such as HNDs etc but to my knowledge BA have asked for A level equivalent or a degree and are usually quite strict with regards to qualifications. I know other candidates in the past who have had HND's but were told that such qualifications were not A level equivalent and were rejected at the application stage. However, if you have an invitation then fantastic. I wish you the best of luck with your application. :ok:

Electricflyer
16th Mar 2015, 16:35
Hi All,
I have been fortunate enough to be invited to the Oxford assessment day, but I am worried that, although I have my original Degree Certificate and A level Certificates- I don't have the originals for my GCSE exams, only a photocopy of provisional results. The OAA rubric states that only original copies of all academic qualifications will be accepted; indeed without them you may be asked to leave the assessment day etc etc..:E

Has anybody else found themselves in a similar 'heart-in-mouth' realisation; and am I wasting 250 odd quid attending with such a discrepancy??
Many thanks if you can enlighten and best of luck to all those going for it!
:ok:

GeorgEGNT
16th Mar 2015, 16:38
ElectricFlyer

Speak to OAA. It's always best to speak to them directly.

and in the meantime try and get a hold of some certificates! (Not sure of the process, may be able to fast track it?)

gbotley
16th Mar 2015, 17:04
Budding,

You're best bet is to look at PAT | PilotAptitudeTest.com - Practise for Pilot Aptitude Tests & Assessments! (http://pilotaptitudetest.com) or Latest Pilot Jobs provides the latest aviation vacancies around the world.-Latest Pilot Jobs-Latest Pilot Jobs (http://latestpilotjobs.com) for ideas of questions for each section. Notably, a numerical reasoning test (by the likes of SHL) has been asked to be put in this year.

Budding
16th Mar 2015, 17:13
Electricflyer,

should be fine, check your PMs but yes, do speak to Oxford.

kirungi1
16th Mar 2015, 17:14
They had numerical reasoning that last campaign (2013 window) at OAA.

Budding
16th Mar 2015, 17:18
gbotley,

Thanks, I've seen most of that but i'm going through it all again now. I'm specifically curious/worried about the physics side of things and exactly what i'm expected to know.

I spoke to Oxford and the first one gave me some generic advice but said in regards to the maths/physics it's all so new that nobody has even completed these tests yet (they are different to last year). The second person I spoke to sounded like they were responding to interrogation and just wouldn't tell me ANYTHING. Understandably the details are closely guarded but it does seem that some know more that others and it would be great if we could get a little more direction on what to revise etc. My GCSEs where nearly 10 years ago so it's a lot of brushing up for me and i'm trying to make it as productive as possible.

Officer Kite
16th Mar 2015, 17:51
Haven't FTE sent a prep pack like they usually do ? Everything they ask is on that and there are no nasty surprises.

LadyL2013
16th Mar 2015, 17:52
Electricflyer,

I was in the same boat last year after some of my documents got destroyed by flooding and all I had were copies and simply explained on my assessment day. They said a copy was fine for now, but should I get through, I'd need to send off for a replacement.

gbotley
16th Mar 2015, 17:53
Fair enough. In past tests, I've found SHL to be very indicative of Numerical Reasoning tests, and the first link I gave very close to the mental arithmetic in the assessments too.. Physics wise, it may be worth checking out some Higher Level UK GCSE papers.

Checkout AQA and Edexcel, the exam bodies, for those. I would imagine that BA are looking for an understanding of your ability to interpret data.

Good luck :-)

EZY_FR
16th Mar 2015, 18:22
Officer Kite

They have asked questions on material that wasn't present in the booklet. Just be sure to cover everything from GCSE Maths and Physics.

PPRuNeUser0207
16th Mar 2015, 19:47
All I have is my leaving certificate, do they require my Irish junior certificate also.

I also read about an equivalency certificate?!?

pjh2015
16th Mar 2015, 20:08
Can someone enlighten me with a possible list of GCSE Physics topics that could come up in FTE? The syllabus is quite broad looking at AQA past papers... I mean apart from the obvious stuff like momentum, velocity, electricity and power, etc.

gbotley
16th Mar 2015, 20:57
BA have requested a numerical reasoning test, which based on digging around on their careers site is using SHL for their cabin crew, so I would presume it would be the same...

Do you think the numerical reasoning will allow a calculator? Given the mental arithmetic does not?

LandingConfig
16th Mar 2015, 21:15
At FTE the first 4 allow use of a calculator IIRC

gbotley
16th Mar 2015, 23:24
Thank you. Most practices are all calculator, predominantly as they're complex figures with large decimals.. So I'm hoping, it's more around your ability to interpret data than calculate - in which case the calculator makes sense :-)

LandingConfig
16th Mar 2015, 23:38
The numerical reasoning is mental arithmetic however. Nothing excessive I shouldn't think.

gbotley
16th Mar 2015, 23:44
Agreed, or at least I hope. :-) CTC say BA haven't confirmed all the details on it yet, and are, slowly, filtering applicants through. Should hear soon :-)

Ryan93
17th Mar 2015, 09:53
Are people from CTC and OAA still waiting for a response?

GeorgEGNT
17th Mar 2015, 10:18
There are still people awaiting responses from both schools you mention (myself included).

BA are still screening applications.
It won't be long now. End of next week at the latest I'd imagine.

EZY_FR
17th Mar 2015, 10:42
Has anyone got any advice on how to prepare for the verbal reasoning tests? Those going to FTE next week will have to do this test, and I always find myself struggling with these tests.

All at sea
17th Mar 2015, 10:55
Hey EZY

I've had to do verbal reasoning for a few things in the past, selection centres and the sort. I find the best way to prep is to read the broadsheets. Pick out the key points and think about what the article is saying. Probably wouldn't work if you read The Sun as even the editors don't know what they're trying to say. Failing that I've found a lot of verbal reasoning tests online, all varying levels of difficulty.

Hope that helps

Ryan93
17th Mar 2015, 11:15
I'm waiting for a response from FTE still, I just wanted to check if the other FTO's were the same. The anxiety lies in the fact that FTE assessments start next week and I haven't had a response yet.

Officer Kite
17th Mar 2015, 11:16
Ezy FR, I wouldn't worry too much about the FTE verbal reasoning assessment. I was dreadful at them but when I went for the Aer Lingus selection I actually passed this, I was later told the pass mark is only 60% unlike many of the other tests. Again I found the prep pack fte send quite useful.

EZY_FR
17th Mar 2015, 15:48
Have to say, Im not impressed with this situation. Since I had done the tests in September last year, I have been told that I cannot resit them this time around, and can only do the BA maths test, the interview and the group exercise.I feel like I have been kicked out before I even go there as I only got 60% in the VR test last time around, and 80,90 and 100% for the other tests... :(

Officer Kite
17th Mar 2015, 15:52
Have to say, Im not impressed with this situation. Since I had done the tests in September last year, I have been told that I cannot resit them this time around, and can only do the BA maths test, the interview and the group exercise.I feel like I have been kicked out before I even go there as I only got 60% in the VR test last time around, and 70,80,90 and 100% for the other tests...

Surely this should be a good thing as it means you've already passed them and can focus on other things ? As far as I've been told, similar to Aer Lingus, the aptitude etc is not competitive, either you pass the FTO's standard meaning you have the basic cognitive skills to fly or you don't, it's the interviews and group etc that set the candidates apart.

Edit: The pass mark for the Verbal reasoning is 60% so you have passed it already !

EZY_FR
17th Mar 2015, 15:58
I am fairly certain that the individual fto assessment scores count towards your final BA weighing.

funkyt111
17th Mar 2015, 17:09
EZY,

Please do not be concerned. Your individual scores do not count towards BA's final decision if you make it through to the final stage. I applied for the BA FPP in 2012 and in 2013. In 2012 I scored 60% in the verbal reasoning and 67% in 2013. Each time I progressed to the final stage. Would you really want to to retake the verbal reasoning test and risk scoring less than 60% which would rule you out the final stage already?

Believe me, you should be delighted that you don't have to retake the written tests. Nail the interview and thr group exercise and you will make it to the final stages.

Also, if you make it through to the final stages then all you need to do is pass each stage of BA's assessment and you'll be successful. It is a new playing field and previous scores at FTO's are not taken into consideration.

bgbetts1
17th Mar 2015, 19:02
funkyt111 Thanks for the information on this thread really useful.

I was accepted at FTE in 2012 but couldn't secure funding at the time. 1st time for FPP. Just wondered what the group tasks entail? Any tips?

Also is the 1st interview with FTE or BA staff?

funkyt111
17th Mar 2015, 19:21
@bgbetts1

With regards to the group exercise, I can't mention the specifics but be a team member. Listen, contribute and acknowledge. Don't be overbearing and don't talk over other people. I've noticed at the FTE stage, there's usually one member of the group who feels that the way to succeed is to talk as much as possible. This is not the case. Your team working, leadership and communication skills are being assessed so demonstrate these skills to the assessors.

The first interview is with FTE.

Best of luck. :ok:

EZY_FR
17th Mar 2015, 19:27
I thought the interview was conducted by a BA pilot?

funkyt111
17th Mar 2015, 19:30
No, not unless it has changed this year. The final stage interviews are conducted by BA pilots.

Ryan93
18th Mar 2015, 08:39
Has anybody seen if assessment dates are moving into the second week of April or are they all being held in the first?

GeorgEGNT
18th Mar 2015, 10:10
Please refer to post #2576.
There is also a post (which I can't find) stating that applicants have been required to sign a form stating they can attend selection days on week 3 and 4 in April (wc 20th and 27th).

Because of the above I don't believe first stage assessments will be going into April week 2. I'd be surprised if they were happy to still be assessing candidates the week before the next stage! (Could be wrong though).

Which FTO in particular are you enquiring about? Might it be worth contacting them directly if you have a problem attending.

Ryan93
18th Mar 2015, 10:38
Thanks for the informative post - I've already been through the stages described on the BA application site however, the reason I posed the question is the time frame already seems askew, as they planned for assessments throughout March and the fact they are running into April is quite close to the final stages planned for the last two weeks of April. Last year, it took about a month to receive the invite to the final stage at Waterside. I was just interested to see if anyone had been offered dates in the second week of April.

I'm applying through FTE and still waiting for a response back, have you had your response yet?

GeorgEGNT
18th Mar 2015, 10:44
I'm fairly certain I read that Stage 1 was always planned to run into April week 1.

I'm assuming that they're running things differently this year. Seems to be quite a compact, fast moving selection process this year when considering "Phase blocks" that seem like they'll be running back to back right through to offers being made.

I'm still awaiting my initial response from CTC.

gbotley
18th Mar 2015, 12:09
GeorgEGNT,

You're not alone mate, still waiting here too. No news is good news. CTC told me that BA deal with all of their screening so initial assessment day invites should come from them directly. I've been checking my junk daily!

ThatGingerPilot
18th Mar 2015, 13:07
For those passed initial screening and not yet booked onto a Phase 2 assessment at CTC Wings, CTC have posted this on their Facebook page.

If you have received an invitation to attend an assessment day for the BAFPP and have not yet booked all final dates have now been released. If you have any queries please contact Emma Lawford: [email protected] or call 02380742400

https://www.facebook.com/CTCWingsPilotTraining/posts/942760375757097

BaronVonBarnstormer
18th Mar 2015, 13:12
From the CTC Facebook page:

"If you have received an invitation to attend an assessment day for the BAFPP and have not yet booked all final dates have now been released. If you have any queries please contact Emma Lawford: [email protected] or call 02380742400"

All at sea
18th Mar 2015, 13:47
What's the latest date that's been posted for the assessments? I have mine on Monday and I'm thinking maybe that's the first day?

baloney nutshell
18th Mar 2015, 13:55
FTE have released some more slots on the 9th and 10th of April, staggered into early and late shifts, and they have a look of finality about them. If anyone has an invite and has not yet booked, they are advised to do so while there is still a choice of dates and times.

Also, these new dates may presage a new set of invites, so there is hope for those still waiting for their response from FTE.

Ryan93
18th Mar 2015, 14:04
All At Sea - I think you're on the first FTE date but I'm open to corrections. The latest dates I've seen are the 8th & 9th April

Homa Bird
18th Mar 2015, 14:11
I booked my CTC assessment this morning. Can I ask what dates are currently available for those who are yet to book their CTC assessment? Curious to know whether these 'new dates' have been released from this morning or from the moment CTC made that facebook post?

RSG
18th Mar 2015, 14:43
I've heard nothing from CTC - been checking junk mail every 20 mins. Saw the post on the CTC Facebook page and decided to give them a call. Looks like they haven't received my application, which struck the guy I spoke to as odd because he thought that BA had now reviewed all applications? They are looking into it, and I'd suggest that anyone awaiting a response from CTC give them a call asap.

jscott91
18th Mar 2015, 14:49
CTC are advising to phone them if you haven't heard yet. All applicants should have heard by now apparently. A lot of people seem to be in the same boat though

RSG
18th Mar 2015, 15:33
Just got my rejection from BA...

Fingers crossed for everyone else

Ryan93
18th Mar 2015, 15:45
I wonder if this is a similar situation with FTE? I wonder why CTC seem to have not received so many applications

Pushkovinator
18th Mar 2015, 15:46
Earlier today I saw CTC's post on Facebook regarding the final set of assessment days.

I then saw that a few people in the comments were in the same boat as me where we have not gotten any response at all, and those people were advised to call or email CTC.

I emailed them (CTC) stating my situation and 20 minutes later I received an email from BA Recruitment regarding my "Outcome of Application".

After dreaming to apply for this scheme since 2011, this was the first year I was eligible to apply due to age and I am extremely disappointed in receiving the "we regret to advise you" email.:sad:

I know that this is an extremely competitive selection process, where many have not been successful in the first attempt or any attempt at all, and thus I knew that I had a very little chance of being successful, but I always had the thought of "what if" in the back of my head.

Good luck to all and I will certainly persevere and apply again next time around!

gbotley
18th Mar 2015, 15:47
I'm quite surprised by the approach to handling the applications. CTC applicants have been in the dark for a while, and then out of the blue the moment they mention applications have all been screened... (literally the exact moment) I get a reject email.

It's as if they find x amount of successful candidates and then chuck the rest. Looking at CTC's Facebook, i'm not alone here.

I'm not feeling sour, as I've always believed everything happens for a reason. Just quite surprised by it all. On the plus side, I can spend £250 on something else.

I wish everyone who got through the best of luck at the next stages. :)

P.S., Anyone else in the same position?

TheLhotse
18th Mar 2015, 15:51
For anyone awaiting an answer from OAA - I just spoke with them and they're still receiving and screening applications (including mine)... I hit submit on the 7th just to give you an idea of timescale... hang in there, good luck all.

Alis aspicit astra
18th Mar 2015, 16:07
When I phoned CTC they asked if I got an email from BA saying I had passed initial screening by then and application was being reviewed by the flight school.

Did anyone who made to the initial stage get an email from BA?

GeorgEGNT
18th Mar 2015, 16:17
Just received the bad news from British Airways. :sad: (PPL Holder, 2:1 Aviation based degree, full time employed).

More disappointed than I thought I would be, bit of a gutter. Nothing a nice Gin & Tonic after work won't solve though.

Best of luck to everyone who remains in the programme. Keep us updated!

Officer Kite
18th Mar 2015, 16:35
It is annoying when you see people who have clearly had a great passion in aviation for a long while getting rejected, meanwhile people who simply apply off the bat very often go the whole way and I have no doubt this intake will be no different. Unfortunately nothing is gonna change though and you simply have to learn to play their game.

dreambig24
18th Mar 2015, 16:40
Hi folks,

I haven't recieved any emails since submitting my application but have just been on the phone to FTE.. Apparently if we haven't heard by now the answer is most likely no.

I'm slightly confused about the initial BA screening email chat going around and some saying CTC haven't recieved certain applications at all? Could it be that FTE might not even have my application?

All the best to those who do progress!

funkyt111
18th Mar 2015, 16:45
Commiserations to those that have been unsuccessful. I advise you to have a read over your application and try and identify where you have gone wrong.

@GeorgEGNT,

You seem like the ideal candidate. However, there will have been a reason for getting rejected at the initial application phase and that reason usually lies somewhere in your essay answers.

Best of luck for the future. :ok:

GeorgEGNT
18th Mar 2015, 16:57
Thanks Funky,

I will of course be completing a thorough post mortem on my application.

This scheme was timed nicely to have a go at really. I still haven't made any definitive moves towards commercial licences at present (apart from hour building, no ATPL studies though). This probably won't be the case next time around.

By the time the next scheme opens I think I will probably be ineligible to apply. The scheme is incredible and there are some lucky buggers out there soon to become the latest BA cadets but I cannot afford to sit around and wait for the next one to come round.

Onwards and upwards!

If you've made it. Don't waste it. Take the opportunity presented to you and you'll be sorted for life.
For those who haven't. Dig in and keep going. We'll all get there eventually.

Cmab7
18th Mar 2015, 17:11
Just received the bad news from British Airways. :sad: (PPL Holder, 2:1 Aviation based degree, full time employed).

More disappointed than I thought I would be, bit of a gutter. Nothing a nice Gin & Tonic after work won't solve though.

Best of luck to everyone who remains in the programme. Keep us updated!

I know exactly how you feel, same disappointing news for me. Further disappointing beings though I was 'lucky' enough to make it to the final stage last year.

Advice for myself and anyone else is to work even harder for next year, if there will be a next year, and to learn from possible shortcomings.

kirungi1
18th Mar 2015, 18:20
...Further disappointing beings though I was 'lucky' enough to make it to the final stage last year.

Someone mentioned about the element of luck and a few things in between. I would now accept that influence. But keep struggling; don't give up. Believe and have renewed faith that its possible. Rejections can help to look at things in a different perspective. Its perhaps that little element that abandoned you. We'll need it however much we've prepared.

rstra
18th Mar 2015, 18:42
Hi everyone, I've applied to FTE Jerez on 3rd March and still not heard anything back some I'm not hopeful.

I've been following this thread for a while as well as the FTO's Facebook pages and it seems very bizarre...particularly the flow of events on the CTC page today. I've emailed BA to ask if the screening process is over for all three FTO's or if this is only for CTC but no reply yet.

To those rejected my commiserations and to everyone through to the next stage congratulations, all the very best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!

I have a random question however, did anyone else submit from a Mac? I noticed a few days after submitting my application that the application page was updated to "You will be unable to submit your application from a Mac" so I'm clutching at straws and wondering if my application never actually got there despite receiving an acknowledgment email which seems strange...

jscott91
18th Mar 2015, 19:15
I submitted on a Mac and was one of the unfortunate few today who were rejected after contacting CTC. I don't want to speculate but there's a horrible feeling in the bottom of my stomach it's because I submitted on a Mac when they specified it wasn't possible

RSG
18th Mar 2015, 19:24
Jscott91 - same here. I know it warned us about using Macs but it said sonewhere that it was an issue with the drop-down menus, and those worked fine for me in Safari... plus I double & triple checked the data in my application after submitting and it was all there. So it shouldn't have been that! Would be interested to know though if anyone else involved in the CTC debacle today used a Mac...

Cmab7
18th Mar 2015, 19:25
I hope this is just a horrible coincidence, but I also submitted from a Mac...

Jaair
18th Mar 2015, 19:29
Rejection from CTC on my 2nd attempt.

Time to look back through my application and see where I could have improved and hope there will be another window open in 2016.

Congratulations to all whom got through to the next round!!

dreambig24
18th Mar 2015, 19:31
I also used a Mac!

LandingConfig
18th Mar 2015, 19:37
To the above, did you receive confirmation that your application was submitted? Did CTC have record of it?

rstra
18th Mar 2015, 19:41
Sorry to hear you got rejected. I don't mean to be cynical and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed (even though I think I know the answer) but it does seem very coincidental. Maybe we're just reading too much into it...

rstra
18th Mar 2015, 19:42
I received a confirmation from BA after submitting...

jscott91
18th Mar 2015, 19:43
The only email I received was one from BARecruitment stating I had submitted the application. I was surprised when CTC asked for a reference number as I couldn't find a personal one anywhere

am59fly
18th Mar 2015, 19:53
Hi guys,

Just wanted to chip in. I submitted from a Mac on the 3rd of March at 1100, received an invitation to selection at 1900 the same day. I attended selection on the 12th of March with CTC and have been placed on a shortlist to be sent to Waterside, pending the completion of all stage 1 assessments. :)

I'm not sure where any issues with submitting from a Mac would arise ? :suspect:

Maybe Safari ?
I used Chrome.

Ryan93
18th Mar 2015, 19:56
Hi folks,

I haven't recieved any emails since submitting my application but have just been on the phone to FTE.. Apparently if we haven't heard by now the answer is most likely no.

I'm slightly confused about the initial BA screening email chat going around and some saying CTC haven't recieved certain applications at all? Could it be that FTE might not even have my application?

All the best to those who do progress!

Dreambig24 - Did FTE themselves tell you that if we haven't heard by now it's most likely a no? I find this situation very strange, it seems that they've filled all the slots before reviewing all applications.

Has anybody heard from FTE today with regards to being invited / rejected?

Scotflyer94
18th Mar 2015, 20:17
I also applied to CTC well before the deadline, and called them today when they posted saying that the screening was finished. After them taking name and email address, they said they would look into it, and 20 minutes later got an email of rejection! Did successful candidates get any emails other than the confirmation of application from BA between submitting and receiving a decision email? I also submitted from an Apple Mac using safari.

funkyt111
18th Mar 2015, 21:30
Just to confirm, there was no email in between the submission email and the decision email for successful candidates.

dreambig24
18th Mar 2015, 21:32
Hi Ryan93,

I spoke to someone who wasn't dealing with the BA scheme directly but they said the invitations should have been sent out by now. The "thanks but no thanks" emails should be sent out soon apparently. Then again this person isn't directly involved with the BAFPP so things may be different. A bit like wedding invitations, if someone can't make it you send the invite to the next best option!

I haven't had any emails however since submitting the application.

Scotflyer94
18th Mar 2015, 22:20
Thanks for the confirmation! Just to check with others incase anyone knows, when you logon back to the BA careers site, does your application show up still with all the individual sections? I submitted mine and received confirmation but it still looks very much like the application is still editable? In contrast to when I last applied with OAA, where as soon as I applied all I could view was the summary page. Thanks!

ManUtd1999
18th Mar 2015, 22:23
I find this situation very strange, it seems that they've filled all the slots before reviewing all applications.

In previous years BA have categorically stated that this doesn't happen, that all applications are read in person and there's no cut-off point. It'd be a shame if that's not what's happened this year.

Ryan93
18th Mar 2015, 22:30
In previous years BA have categorically stated that this doesn't happen, that all applications are read in person and there's no cut-off point. It'd be a shame if that's not what's happened this year.

I agree, however in previous years BA haven't specified exact time frames of the assessment stages like they have done this time round. It could be that the FTO's have reached the limit of people they are able to interview within the given time slot for initial assessments.

Alis aspicit astra
19th Mar 2015, 07:53
I think there are a lot of us in the same boat. I believe that the initial screening of qualifications and application questions is completed by BA, if they pass them then it goes to the FTO who will read the application, CV and Covering Letter etc. If you don't pass it, I believe it still goes to the FTO but it doesn't go into there 'Screening List' it goes to a 'Rejection List' but they obviously wont send this list out until after the window has closed.

I know that you have to score a minimum number on the Application Questions as I reached the final stage one year and didn't make the first stage the following year, I managed to query this with BA and finally got out of them that my Application Questions weren't correct. Just for clarification, the Application Questions I refer to are the multiple choice that check your personality.

Its a shame that its completed like this but BA want BA people and I would say they can probably get close to the mark with personality questions. That said, hard work, dedication and proper research of what BA are after are only going to improve your chances for next year.

FrankMatt
19th Mar 2015, 09:27
Hi all, heading to FTE on March 30th if anyone is going. Sorry to those who didn't make it, I was left scratching my head the last couple of years when I got rejected, this year, within a few hours I'd been accepted.

All at sea
19th Mar 2015, 10:13
Hey, anyone have any ideas on the numbers for each slot for the FTE assessments? Or how many there were at last years? Feeling like a bit of a guinea pig going for the first day and the first slot!

rstra
19th Mar 2015, 10:22
Scotflyer94, my application still seems to be editable too like you describe.

I've still not heard anything from BA or FTE, keeping my fingers crossed that there's news soon. Keen to just know either way!

G-F0RC3
19th Mar 2015, 12:21
Its a shame that its completed like this but BA want BA people and I would say they can probably get close to the mark with personality questions. That said, hard work, dedication and proper research of what BA are after are only going to improve your chances for next year.

Contrary to what many people think, I genuinely don't believe there is one type of person that fits what BA are looking for (i.e. there's no such thing as "BA people"). In my opinion the variety of different people who have made it through this process highlights that BA value a diverse workforce. And I don't know for certain, but I do think some of the multi-choice questions on the application have more than one correct (or at least acceptable) answer, while others have definite incorrect answers. Obviously can't mention specific examples here though.

All at sea; can relate to that as I was in the very first FTE assessment day last year. There were about 14 per assessment day split into two groups of 7. :)

LandingConfig
19th Mar 2015, 12:41
Feeling the pressure as they days count down towards the assessment (31st for me). My first one. A daunting thought, but determined to succeed as I'm sure everyone is.

CPSTCD
19th Mar 2015, 13:29
Hi,

I was invited to the assessment day for FTE and I was just wondering if anybody who has paid for their assessment with FTE received their preparation pack or received any word from Jerez acknowledging payment and confirming venue? I just have a receipt from their bank but no e-mail from them.

FLP_MB339
19th Mar 2015, 15:38
With regards to the preliminary questions, do you think they were timed? I think I answered "correctly" or, let's say, supposedly right both in my personal opinion and according to how I think a good airline pilot should reason/react.

On some questions I had to think longer and on the 2014 award question I admit I had to look on internet (I'm curious, how many of you knew that straight away?), if a question like that was timed, it could easily be a powerful discriminatory one even if of debatable value.

Again good luck to you all and commiserations to to my fellow rejected applicants. Thanks a lot and keep on updating us all!

Ryan93
19th Mar 2015, 18:40
Has anybody had any further news from FTE?

Ryan93
19th Mar 2015, 20:45
Actually with regards to the above, I've just received an invite to FTE interviews, no slots available however, I will have to call them tomorrow

ManUtd1999
19th Mar 2015, 20:51
Same for me. I'd completely given up hope tbh, but it just goes to show that no news is indeed good news! :ok: No slots available for me either, looks like FTE might be getting a few calls tomorrow. ;)

Ryan93
19th Mar 2015, 21:08
Congratulations are in order! I wonder how many options they will have..

ManUtd1999
19th Mar 2015, 21:18
Yep, one hurdle down, 3 (much harder ones) to go! I doubt will get much if any choice re dates this late

kirungi1
19th Mar 2015, 21:36
ManUtd1999 and Ryan93; congratulations and good luck :ok:

dreambig24
19th Mar 2015, 22:05
Turns out it wasn't my mac! I've also just received an invite :ok:

MarkSRFC
19th Mar 2015, 23:59
Congrats guys!

I received an invite but haven't paid yet. Is there another prep pack FTE send you after you pay or just the attachment in the email?

Ryan93
20th Mar 2015, 08:39
In previous years it's just been the one in the original email. MarkSRFC - Did you have any interview slots available or are you in the same boat?

DavHdd
20th Mar 2015, 08:53
Hey guys,

My name's David, I'm French and I live in Paris. I'm working as an intern for Air France Industrie KLM Engineering and Maintenance in ORLY (it's my senior year engineering internship at a school named Mines Nancy in the east of France, near Strasbourg and the German border ...). I have also been selected to attend the first stage of FPP, and since I don't know anybody at CAE Oxford's campus in Langford (and also because I'm pretty sure many other are in the same situation) I think it could be fun to meet the ones among you guys attending the selection on Tuesday as well!

rstra
20th Mar 2015, 09:06
I also received an invite from FTE last night! Very surprised but very chuffed! Slots are available now!

MarkSRFC
20th Mar 2015, 12:19
Yeah, booked my interview slot, just haven't paid the assessment fee yet. What with flights and hotels to sort, it'll be an expensive enough trip!:}

LandingConfig
20th Mar 2015, 12:24
It is indeed, cost me about £400 :ugh:

Let's make it worthwhile :ok:

EZY_FR
20th Mar 2015, 12:36
Well done to those who received invites!! For those that have already been to assessment, how did you find your interview?

polar25
20th Mar 2015, 14:53
Congratulations to all who have received invites this year! Is there anyone else who got through last year (or in previous years) that didn't make the cut this year?

Cmab7
20th Mar 2015, 15:45
Congratulations to all who have received invites this year! Is there anyone else who got through last year (or in previous years) that didn't make the cut this year?
Polar25,
I got through to Waterside in my first year of applying (last year) and fell at the first hurdle this year. Are you the same?

polar25
20th Mar 2015, 19:18
Cmab7: I got through to the FTO stage last year and like you didn't make the cut this year. Not meaning this to be taken the wrong way, but I can't seem to get my head around why? I can only assume that my cover letter wasn't as strong this year? Any idea as to why you didn't make it?

funkyt111
20th Mar 2015, 19:23
@Polar and Cmab7,

The usual reason is because your cover letter contained mistakes or your answers to the initial questionnaire didn't represent a BA typical employee. Also, the essay questions are the same from the previous year, did you re-use the same answers? Did you apply to a different school this time?

Cmab7
20th Mar 2015, 20:54
Funkyt, Polar,

Overall, I thought my application was stronger this time around, in both the cover letter and the 'personality questions', which further fuels my surprisment and confusion about the decision.

However, after a few more days have past and I've had plenty of time to look over it again, it may become clearer.

FLP_MB339
20th Mar 2015, 23:05
Indeed it looks like a lottery. It's incredible, though, how much it helps to know that someone else shares your unlucky fate.
I actually revised my preliminary questions and they sounded perfect, again this opinion may change if they got timed.
I did the "mistake" of making a pdf cover letter and just paste it in the form when I realised it was supposed to be written there. I don't know why but it sounded just lame written there. On top of that, I really had nothing to answer to "what have you done so far etc. etc.". The only thing I could afford doing was reading books, included pretty hard ones, but I feared it could sound both pretentious and silly to write that. So I wrote nothing, and that was probably even worse.
Well, this summer I promised myself I'll try and get a PPL. In the worst case I'll have something to write on my next cover letter if there will be one.
Thanks to all of you on this forum!

kirungi1
21st Mar 2015, 07:56
Funky111

...Did you apply to a different school this time?
You raise an interesting point here. Why/how?

FrankMatt
21st Mar 2015, 08:25
Does anyone know the percentage that got through the first round?

wiggy
21st Mar 2015, 08:37
Sorry to hear about the various knock backs..

Cmab7

Overall, I thought my application was stronger this time around, in both the cover letter and the 'personality questions',...

I'm sure you did..Have you/did you run your paperwork past a third party to get their opinion?

Cmab7
21st Mar 2015, 08:59
Funkyt, wiggy,

No, I applied to the same school this year. My impressions of them last time around cemented my choice of choosing them this time.

Of course, it was checked, and double checked on more than one occasion.

There must have been a reason, which I'll find, and come back stronger next year.

funkyt111
21st Mar 2015, 09:04
Funky111

Quote:
...Did you apply to a different school this time?
You raise an interesting point here. Why/how?

There has been some suggestion in previous windows that you may stand a better chance of success in reaching the application phase depending on which school you apply to. Oxford receive the most applications followed closely by CTC with FTE receiving the least. If each school has X amount of candidates that they can invite to the initial assessment then maybe the previous suggestions could be right?

polar25
21st Mar 2015, 11:35
Funky and Cmab: My essay questions were very similar to last year with the addition of what I had done since my last application (which was a considerable amount). The personality questions were also answered very similarly, if not the same as last year.

My cover letter was checked numerous times by various people and I applied to the same school as last year.

It would be interesting to know if there is anyone else in the same boat that made it through the first year, fell at the first hurdle in their second application and made it through again in the third year?

LandingConfig
21st Mar 2015, 11:53
Perhaps it was a stroke of bad luck this year that it was different people reviewing the applications?

funkyt111
21st Mar 2015, 12:00
I agree with Landingconfig, you must just be unlucky. I applied in 2012 and in 2013 and made it to the final stages on both occasions. My biggest worry this year was not being invited to the initial assessment especially since this is the last application I can make so I understand exactly how you guys must feel.

kirungi1
21st Mar 2015, 12:11
polar25 & Cmab7; I sympathyse with your plight but Funky111 argues and correlates well via post #2816. Did any of you apply through Oxford or CTC?
Funky111, were all your previous attempts made through FTE?

Officer Kite
21st Mar 2015, 12:41
My understanding of what BA and the schools have always said is that the school you apply to is irrelevant when it comes to getting past the first hurdles, with it not being a case of FTE get X amount, CTC get Y and OAA getting Z amount. Rather the amount of people getting through to each FTO's assessments is solely based on the quality of applications to a particular school.

funkyt111
21st Mar 2015, 13:09
@kirungi1

Yeah all my previous attempts with were with FTE.

kirungi1
21st Mar 2015, 13:36
Officer Kite; I would doubt the aspect of "quality of the application" alone , bearing the plights of polar25 and Cmab7. Surely, Funky111 could have a point worth exploring.

Officer Kite
21st Mar 2015, 13:44
That is true Kirungi, but I suspect that could come down to whoever the individual in BA or the FTO was who saw it, but overall the aim isn't to send a set amount to each FTO. Rather only the "perceived" best out of all applicants are put forward.

funkyt111
21st Mar 2015, 14:42
Lets say for example OAA receive 1500 applications and CTC receive 1000 applications and FTE receive 750 Applications. Although BA say that each school considers each application purely on it's quality, realistically if all of Oxford's applications were fantastic they couldn't invite all 1500. So in reality, you have a better chance with FTE than with any of the other two schools. Also, I know for sure that each school can only send X amount of candidates through to the final stage so therefore your competing against less candidates with FTE. I wouldn't encourage people to try and play the system though and choose a school based on what you think is right for you. :ok:

kirungi1
21st Mar 2015, 14:45
Funky111 & Officer Kite; thank you and good luck this year and always :ok:

Officer Kite
21st Mar 2015, 14:53
I agree that playing the system is not a good way to approach this. I can only go on what the schools have told me directly, and CTC in particular made a point of highlighting to me that the school I applied to would be irrelevant as BA want the best out of all who apply, not the best out of each individual school. I don't think we're ever gonna find a definitive answer to this so it's probably best to focus on others things. Good luck to all !