View Full Version : RAAF Flight Screening Programme

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

CoodaShooda
18th Jul 2016, 07:14
He must have had great instructors.
I could never teach him anything.:E

harrybass3
20th Jul 2016, 13:34
I was just so shocked that I managed to get through. The initial lady who told me I failed gauge reading repeatedly told me that I was unable to go through. I then asked to speak to the head psychologist making the decisions. He must have seen my determination and given me the waiver.

I have 2 degree, a science and an arts degree. Science degree is in Biochem and psychology and arts is in English. Heaps of leadership experience, Mcdonald's crew training, Air Force Cadets, current leadership position at work. I suppose He valued this more than the few marks I was off in gauge reading.

He also said that the fact I did not have second or third preferences was a motivational risk. He said applicants should want to join as an officer no matter what. Officer first, pilot second.

My last flight with my ppl in command was Anzac day, so recency is not even a real issue.

It may seem cheesy but how do you answer "why do you want to join the ADF?" without sound super patriotic or super cliche?

flyinghigh2002
21st Jul 2016, 03:32
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know when the next lot of RAAF distributions are for letter of offers? august/september?

Thanks

JBWings
22nd Jul 2016, 03:41
FlyingHigh,

I spoke to FSP admin awhile back so i'm not sure if this info is current however, at the time they intended to do a distribution in September & Novemeber.

I haven't spoken to them recently though.

josephfeatherweight
22nd Jul 2016, 08:19
He said applicants should want to join as an officer no matter what. Officer first, pilot second.
Yeah, they do tend to say that... It's true from a recruiting point of view, but, once you've started Pilots' Course, doesn't matter a hoot! The way to get around it is this:
Your primary motivation is to fly an ADF aircraft (fighters first, then whatever tactical aircraft next) and you are thrilled that this will present you the opportunity to also be an Officer in the ADF. But, your primary motivation is to fly ADF AIRCRAFT.

Anyone post the recruiting centres (eg staff at FSP) will be on-board with this. Remember, the ADF is currently looking for aircrew to fly fighters, tactical and strategic transport aircraft and maritime patrol aircraft - don't tell them you've got a real passion to fly the pollies around in a BBJ (even if you do!).

It may seem cheesy but how do you answer "why do you want to join the ADF?" without sound super patriotic or super cliche?
I understand the conundrum - I found this difficult to answer many years ago and had the same concerns as you. I would put it back to your primary goal being to fly ADF aircraft:
"The ADF offers the opportunity to fly advanced aircraft in an ever-changing, challenging and tactical environment. The teamwork involved, the cameradie that will foster and the opportunities to lead others sets aviation in the ADF apart from aviation in the civilian world. And, you get to do all of this whilst providing a service to the nation."

Good luck!

Toriki
5th Aug 2016, 01:02
Hi everyone, I'm a new poster here and I'm departing to Tamworth Flight Screening in 3 weeks (21st August, 2016 - DEO).

I'm just looking to pick up and tips / areas of study / personal anecdotes that might assist me in my dream to becoming an F/A-18 / E/A-18G / F-35 Pilot (and give me a chuckle too!).

I'm barely 18 years old, finished my HSC last year and got an ATAR of 79.55 (no bonus points included - elligbile for +5 at some universities and +3 at others that don't support local / isolated schools). While I'll admit its not exactly a great score, there were many factors that contributed to this - primarily, a family tragedy (my sister died - twice - and then came back but with serious disability) and social obligations (gf had depression, spent alot of time with her instead of studying). I did pursue mathematics seriously and managed to get some decent scores in that respect however other subjects suffered to neglect.

I'm not trying to gain sympathy and I don't regret anything from high school, if anything, it strengthened my resolve to success in military aviation.

At this point in time I've passed all the tests first go and I'm getting pretty nervous about flight screening. As a note, I have zero previous flying experience.

The main, singularly most important question I have for this thread is - what can I do to increase my chances of passing flight screening and the officer selection board.

Here is some of the stuff I have done so far:

Study Section (Relatively in-depth):
-Fixed-wing Aircraft Structure
-Fuselage
-Wings
-Airfoils
-Powerplant (engine + propeller for prop-driven aeroplanes)
-Landing Gear
-Empennage
-Newtons laws (already did these at high school but general brush-up)
-Flight theory and the flight envelope
-Axes of flight
-Primary and secondary flight controls
-Flight instruments
-Basic flight maneuvers
-Climbs, turns, descents, power & pitch
-Rotary wing aircraft
-Airport and runway information

I know it may be a bit over the top but I want to know as much as I possibly can and hence make-up for gaps in my knowledge and skills (such as actually flying an aeroplane) that other candidates will surely have. I've also been adjusting my personal wake-up time to 0500 and have been exercising. I've also purchased a Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (BAK) book and plan on going through that too when it arrives.

I'm thinking of scheduling a visit with RAAF Base Richmond (closest base - also has the C-130 too so I could check that out hopefully).

Is there anything else I can do / things YOU might have done to get through this next section?

TL;DR Any tips / Advice to help me pass Tamworth Flight Screening?

Thanks Guys (and gals), I really appreciate anything you might have to share. If your going to TFS on the 21st of August feel free to PM me and we can share ideas / exchange some notes. (lame joke incoming) It would be cool to get in touch with somebody before lift-off!

Thanks again,

Toriki :)

AnythingIsPossible
5th Aug 2016, 10:33
Hi all,

First post but I have been following the thread for a while. Thanks to all for the helpful information.

I am about to start my application process so apologies that this isn't related to flight screening. Does anyone from Queensland knows if Maths A is classed as "Tertiary entrance level, not modified"? It is definitely tertiary entrance level but I don't know what 'not modified' means. I haven't been able to get a confirmation from ADF recruitment.

I expect I'll be in touch throughout the process so I look forward to speaking and possibly meeting some of you.

Cheers.

ARJM
8th Aug 2016, 03:45
Hey Toriki,

Congrats on getting the call for flight screening. Just out of curiosity, when did you complete your assessment day? I'm currently waiting on the call for flight screening and just wanted to know what the wait time is like. Cheers

djmp92
9th Aug 2016, 06:10
Hey gents.

Congratulations to everyone making FSP and being recommended. Hard work pays off ;)

Just wanted to ask a quick question about one of the forms we fill out as applicants. The pilot selection form completed at DFR at the YOU Session or Assessment day regarding the preferences amongst all the services.

I believe the options were "I would not accept an offer from this service", "I would consider an offer from this service" and "I would immediately accept an offer from this service".

Can anyone shed any light on the implications of our responses to these? I imagine if they need candidates quickly for a certain service they choose the ones who have indicated that they would immediately accept, however I believe that would deny you any sort of choice amongst competing offers.

Any opinions on this from those in the know?

To those that are curious about the process, I had my Assessment Day roughly 4 months ago and was only medically cleared 3 weeks ago. It's a waiting game to be sure.

Cheers and beers!

JBWings
9th Aug 2016, 09:34
Djmp92,

Its important to do a hell of a lot of research into each service and figure out exactly what you want fly for a living if given the opportunity.

What you put down on that sheet is just to give the defence interviewer at assessment day a service to primarily focus on during questioning.

You are able to change where you rank each preference all the way up until your sitting in front of the board. Therefore, you can change without incident even when your on FSP.

Whilst on FSP you have the opportunity to rank each service from 1-5. If you put a service as 1-3 you will NOT get an offer - even if you are an ACE. 4-5 you will get a look in.

The way the board explained it was that your overall score on FSP is combined with your perfs for an individual service. That combined score is then put into the pool for distribution.

So you do need to ask yourself. Do I want to fly for the ADF or just fly for an individual service.

Sorry for the long response. Hope it helps.

Only a couple of courses left for the year. Coming up to crunch time now.

FlyLowFlySlow
9th Aug 2016, 10:31
What you select on those forms is not set in concrete. The preferences between DFR and FSP aren't quite on the same page, so whatever happens at FSP will trump anything you've put down in the past. Like JBWings said it is a 5-1 score on which service/s you most prefer and he is right in what he said about what each score means.

It will all be explained on day 1 of FSP and you'll be able to change your preferences anytime up until OSB on the last day, even then the first question asked will be "These are your preferences, do you wish to change them?"

Hope this helps!

FLFS

djmp92
10th Aug 2016, 03:01
Thanks for the responses guys! Really cleared things up.

I initially put down RAAF as definite and Army and Navy as considered seeing as I wanted to keep all my options open. The last few months I've become excited about all three services and would pick any of them in a heart beat.

harrybass3
15th Aug 2016, 13:09
UPDATE

OK guys,

Thanks for your help before. I smashed assessment day. The interviewer cut my interview short because he was so confident I would make a good officer and future pilot. Really pleasing.

So now I have to clear up my Medical stuff (apparently every pilot has to apparently) and wait for the phone call.

Does anyone have any idea how long the wait times from a recommended Assessment day to the call for OSB?

He also said my handwriting was atrocious. Not sure if that will be a huge impact.

clevortrevor
16th Aug 2016, 05:36
Hi Everyone,

A little about myself: University graduate with a few years work experience. I recently applied to be a pilot and after having read through this thread numerous times I passed my assessment day yesterday. However, apparently the acuity of my eyes is borderline (i'm short sighted but thought i was better than 6/12). I'm going to the eye doctor (as everyone does) and hopefully i just make the cut; if not, i'll be looking into laser surgery options. If all goes well there i'll have the dentist and blood test prior to flight screening.

Harrybass3,
Please keep me up to date with how you're going in the process. After reading your posts i assume you're a DEO candidate and if all goes well we might be on the same FSP.

harrybass3
17th Aug 2016, 12:08
I have heard that the eyesight requirement can be pretty strict. Hope it all goes well for you.

Does anybody know if the Assessment day score is actually a score with a measure of just a pass/fail. My assessor said I gave him 50 reasons to put me through and no reason not too. He complimented my motivation and said i had a huge amount of potential. This was all coming from an Army warrant officer.

I was chuffed. So the question is, will my great performance in the assessment day speed up my application for flight screening? Hoping for the October course.

Also, I have heard that the ADF is screaming for pilots because they have bought so many new planes and have had a drop off in applicants. Can anyone confirm this?

JBWings
17th Aug 2016, 12:32
Harry,

My understanding of the process from assessment day to Flight screening is that once your medical is cleared up your dossier is sent from DFR to FSP. FSP admin grades, then pools, all of it's applicants for positions on an FSP course. Grading is done based on DFR's findings and their own opinions of your dossier. Three weeks or so before a course starts the top 6-9 applicants from that pool are contacted.

Well done with your assessment day. Means that DFR will make a good recommendation on your behalf.

I've spoken to a couple of blokes that are in at the moment and they have confirmed what you've said. I wouldn't say screaming for pilots, but the demand is certainly there compared to a few years ago (apparently). Still bloody competitive to get through.

I check this thread way to often nowadays. The waiting game is killing me.

EDIT: does anyone know of people getting offers more than a month out from a course start date?

FlyLowFlySlow
18th Aug 2016, 09:28
There is definitely a need for quality pilots at the moment so while there may not be as many applicants as years past, it is just as competitive. The current situation means you have a better chance at standing out from the masses.

Trevor don't stress too much over your eyesight, you'll find out in good time whether it is up to scratch and there's nothing you can do about it until then. I can confirm that the Aircrew Visual Requirements have just changed (this week in fact!) so this may work in your favour. I don't have a link or a copy of these new standards though unfortunately.

Good luck with your (hopefully) upcoming FSP boys!

Okiedoke
18th Aug 2016, 10:14
Those who receive an invitation to FS (October intakes) should meet in their respective states if possible, before heading to Tamworth. Team cohesion is an enormous factor in individual performance and overall success. Being familiar with each other will no doubt help this happen, not to mention they will be looking for this the moment you arrive.

harrybass3
18th Aug 2016, 12:03
JBWings,

My enlistment coordinator said that she will send my file once I returned the aircrew preference selection form. A mate of mine who is now at OTS said you can go to flight screening before medical clearance but you can't enlist, just as long as you make class 3m in the assessment and You day medicals.

Really hope I get a spot in the October FSP. The only thing holding me back may be my gauge reading test scores, which I failed but the head psychologist gave me a waiver because I have a PPL.

JBWings
18th Aug 2016, 23:18
ahh, I stand corrected. Good luck with getting a spot

josephfeatherweight
19th Aug 2016, 03:23
Those who receive an invitation to FS (October intakes) should meet in their respective states if possible, before heading to Tamworth. Team cohesion is an enormous factor in individual performance and overall success. Being familiar with each other will no doubt help this happen, not to mention they will be looking for this the moment you arrive.
Good advice from Okiedoke!

DP91
21st Aug 2016, 09:25
Hi guys have just finished my you session and have achieved good enough results to access pilot aditional testing Which i am incredibly excited about however i was just wondering what exactly they test you on during additional testing? i have read through this thread and other online forums but am having a hard time getting solid answers..
I have been working full time the last 7 years and am just wondering what math i may need to brush up on etc? Btw trying for helo pilot in the RAN :)

clevortrevor
22nd Aug 2016, 04:24
A couple of tests. Firstly instrument reading, in which you have 7 or 8 instruments displaying various things (eg. airspeed, altitude, etc) and it will ask you for a value for a given variable and you have to quickly identify the right instrument and give the right answer. The reading on the gauges will change between questions so it isn't a memory game at all. Various exercises where it will show the instrument reading for banking, inclination, orientation, etc, and you have to choose the correct silhouette of an aircraft that matches the instruments. Last one is a math test. It is simpler from an educational stand point than the YOU day math test (you don't need to know any formulas or how to factorise or anything), but harder from a general math aptitude perspective. A lot of math questions thrown at you where you have to estimate the answer (eg. `12 x (3x149) = ? a) 5000 b) 5500 c)7000 d) 4500. I'd recommend practicing on Arithmetic Game ? Online Speed Drill (http://arithmetic.zetamac.com/) to get your speed up. Also, make sure you know what fractions correspond to decimals (eg. 1/8 = 0.125), this will be very helpful. Good luck mate! Let us know how it goes.

harrybass3
22nd Aug 2016, 08:10
So today I went into the ophthalmologist and did a pretty thorough eye exam. I could read lots of the letters at distances but not perfectly. Obviously without correction but the lady did not tell me what my situation was. She just said "we send in the forms"

Any idea of understanding my results before I am told based on how I saw? I feel my eyes are really good but there tests are annoying as.

FlyLowFlySlow
22nd Aug 2016, 10:34
PMed you Harry

PC97
24th Aug 2016, 22:06
Just curious if anyone can give me advice on my current situation. Just finished doing my A-Levels, achieved two A's and one B, which means i am finally qualified to apply for the pilot role in the RAF (something i have wanted to do all my life), but i do not know whether to take a GAP year to australia and travel gaining experiences or go straight into the RAF as it seems there is a big recruitment drive on at the moment? .. if i go to Australia and come back a year later, i dont want to have missed out on the chance !!
- Pete

josephfeatherweight
26th Aug 2016, 22:59
Think you're looking for this one...
http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/405176-officer-aircrew-candidates-please-read-thread-first.html
Extra "A" in "RAAF".

Boltyy
29th Aug 2016, 22:39
Hi all, just a quick question to see if someone has had anything similar. I went through all testing, assessments and FSP and received a high recommmendation - got my pilot letter of offer few weeks after for start last June. AVMED then came back and made me class 4 for aircrew as I had had laser eye surgery and my refractive limits BEFORE the operation were slightly outside their limits (even though I was well within the limits for USAF and RAF). I appealed and was unsuccessful and I thought that was that until about 6 months ago I was contacted by an Air Commodore who was doing a report into recruitment problems and offered to chase up my case - good news is out of the blue yesterday I got a call saying I had been awarded a waiver.
I have to go in in the near future to sit my additional testing again, and the assessment day. Everyone I've talked to though is unsure whether I have to complete flight screening again or if the RAAF can allow me just to sit the OSB part? - has anyone had a LOO and been classed ineligible and then down the track had a waiver or successful appeal? My FSP was in October 2014 (2 years ago) and start date was meant to be June 2015.
Hopefully the fact that I had the job offer works in my favour in terms of having to sit all the same interviews and tests again - but it'd be great if my FSP results carried over and they only require me for the OSB.
Any help from someone in the know or similar situation would be great.

FlyLowFlySlow
29th Aug 2016, 23:31
You have to wait 3 years to redo the flying part of flight screening so your results should still stand. You'll just have to do OSB again because it is only valid for 12 months. Hope this helps.

Jenn2205
3rd Sep 2016, 12:35
Hi,

First time posting in the forum for me... Thank you thus far for all the information I have been reading through this thread.

I'm currently going through the process for a pilots position with the ADF and had my paperwork sent off to the FSP team about two weeks ago. I'm going through officer direct entry (not ADFA) and was hoping to be on an October FSP as from I can see Oct is the last DEO offerings for 2016.

Just wondering if anyone has actually heard whether they have a place on an October FSP as yet?

Thanks in advance, Jen

ARJM
4th Sep 2016, 02:35
Hey Jen,

According to the ADF flight screening schedule there is 3 DEO flight screenings in October and then ADFA entries for the rest of the year. I am also hoping to get into one of these. If you want to see the schedule yourself go to the link below and click on the link down the bottom of the page.

https://www.airforce.gov.au/Our-People/Careers/Becoming-a-Pilot/Pilot-Selection-Flight/Flight-Screening-Program-Schedule/?RAAF-e9g2z8vIikaumcv6ylDo1q9luRRCcBKo

Cheers

Jenn2205
4th Sep 2016, 06:32
Hi ARJM,

Yes, I have previously looked at the schedule you linked in your reply. Fingers crossed for both of us then.... Will be torturous to be waiting until 2017 otherwise lol!!

Good luck

harrybass3
5th Sep 2016, 15:13
ARJM and Jenn2205

I am also having the painstaking wait to see if I get on the last set of spots for flight screening for the year.

I am not sure if they are filled but a mate of mine who just got in as a pilot said that this year they struggled to fill spots. Here is hoping.

Can anyone else confirm this?

djmp92
6th Sep 2016, 10:55
I spoke to my enlistment coordinator about 2 weeks ago and she mentioned the issue of not having enough candidates being available. She said if they can't fill all the spots then just not doing that session of FS is a very real option. Not sure if that's any indicator on current demand.

I'm in the same boat waiting for a call. Personally I'd welcome a January session as it gives me more time to prepare. That's just me though.

Hope we all get a call :)

Billy_Badwood
6th Sep 2016, 22:20
Hi All,

Long time follower first time posting. I've been given my FSP dates for the course starting on the 16th of October. My files were sent to Tamworth (after getting medical clearance) around the beginning of March this year as a rough guide. It has also been 2 years since I first attended my YOU session.

Happy to chat further with anyone and also anyone attending FSP in October.

Cheers.

ARJM
6th Sep 2016, 23:45
Hey guys,

I actually made contact with Tamworth where they do flight screening to try and find out where my application was at and when I may get I call. The person I spoke to said that the lady that fills the spots usually does so about 3-4 weeks prior to it beginning which means around 16th of this month is when people would get a call for the first Oct FSP. Best of luck to everyone.

JBWings
7th Sep 2016, 05:04
Heads up to anyone who started the process in 2015.

Your DFR medical, specialist medicals i.e. bloods, eyes, dental & the "av med seal of approval" all need to be completed 12 months prior to enlistment

This means that anyone looking at the FEB 16 intake will have to repeat their medicals if they where done prior to FEB 15.

Caught me by surprise and i'm now in the process of repeating them all.

FlyLowFlySlow
7th Sep 2016, 05:14
JBWings. Most medical reports will only be valid for 12 months, therefore if your application takes longer than 12 months from assesment day you will have to have the medicals done again.

I'm in the same boat, my medicals will expire in November but my appointment date is likely to be in January so I am in the process of having them done again.

Best of luck to everyone hoping to get onto October FSP!

Jenn2205
7th Sep 2016, 06:08
Hi All,

Long time follower first time posting. I've been given my FSP dates for the course starting on the 16th of October. My files were sent to Tamworth (after getting medical clearance) around the beginning of March this year as a rough guide. It has also been 2 years since I first attended my YOU session.

Happy to chat further with anyone and also anyone attending FSP in October.

Cheers.
Well done Billy and best of luck!

JBWings
7th Sep 2016, 06:09
FLFS, pmed you

harrybass3
7th Sep 2016, 12:12
I swear the wait for flight screening is the worst. There is just so much uncertainty.

I just hope that the heaviest determinant of being selected is your resume and Assessment day score. I sent 5 written References, one from a wing commander and one which was a letter for me getting a RAAF flying scholarship.

Just gotta wait.

Very Sneaky
17th Sep 2016, 02:50
This may not be the correct thread for this, but does anybody have any information regarding the future of FSP with the introduction of the PC-21 to replace both the CT4 and PC-9? Will FSP still be conducted in a cockpit or is it likely to move to sim based testing?

Cheers,

VS

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
18th Sep 2016, 10:55
Very Sneaky,

I was down at FSP in early August and speaking to people there made it seem like it was a little bit uncertain although the signs were that it was pointing towards simulation based testing. I'm not sure what implications that would have for the current tri-service setup; e.g. whether Army and Navy would still send candidates to do FSP at Sale or they'd run their own. I can only imagine it will remain a tri-service setup but I'm not sure how far along they are.

I honestly can't remember if this was a trumour or actually in the pipeworks but i remember being told the RAAF was turning OTS into an RMC style Academy taking all officer applicants and then those that pass flight screening while at the Academy go on to pilot.

Interesting / scary stuff depending on how you look at it!

Slezy9
18th Sep 2016, 20:14
FSP will be tri-service and all Sim based at RAAF Sale as of 2019.

harrybass3
22nd Sep 2016, 21:56
Update,

I received an email from the officer selection coordinator that I had been chosen to attend an aviation screening program down in East Sale ? The email detailed this was for air traffic controller and air combat officer.

What is this program and is it positive that they have sent me this or does it mean that I have no chance at being a pilot and they want me to be placed straight in my second and third preference.

FlyLowFlySlow
23rd Sep 2016, 00:44
I went though FSP with someone who had previously completed ACO OSB so I wouldn't write yourself off yet. Just a different job stream that requires a different screening process.

Jenn2205
23rd Sep 2016, 10:28
Hi all,

Is anyone heading to FSP on October 29th?
I am attending this program and am keen to meet up with anyone also attending before we head to Tamworth.

Jen

adbailey121
25th Sep 2016, 03:07
Good luck for everyone going to flight screening in the next few months.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of any offers going out for the February 16th intake? Or at least that files have been sent to the PSA in Canberra? Starting to hear a few rumours fly around and thought I would ask around.

Thanks guys and gals!

Very Sneaky
25th Sep 2016, 09:23
FSP will be tri-service and all Sim based at RAAF Sale as of 2019.

Ahh, thanks for the info. Bit of a shame but I guess it is what it is; moving to a single a/c trainer doesn't leave many alternatives.

FlyLowFlySlow
25th Sep 2016, 11:39
Makes you wonder how they would screen for air sickness, in some cases it could be a deal breaker in terms of recommendations. Perhaps a flight or two of aeros in the PC-21 to see how candidates react to the airborne environment.

Slezy9
25th Sep 2016, 23:20
Makes you wonder how they would screen for air sickness, in some cases it could be a deal breaker in terms of recommendations. Perhaps a flight or two of aeros in the PC-21 to see how candidates react to the airborne environment.
There is no way in the world that FSP students will ever set foot in a real live airborne PC-21...

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
26th Sep 2016, 03:06
adbailey 121 - I don't know of any offers coming back for that intake but I know that some distributions have gone out already. Al the information points to offers in Nov/Dec and by looking at this forum everyone seems to get notified around then.

FLFS - my thoughts exactly, I quizzed a few people (not the powers that be) down at FSP about their thoughts and they seemed just as curious.

Slezy9 - maybe not necessarily in control but in the passenger seat for a ride in the washing machine would go a ways as to assessing air sickness risk. It's a fairly important consideration although it's not strictly assessed.

flyinghigh2002
26th Sep 2016, 03:56
Hi Adbailey121,

I have heard that files have been sent to Canberra, but dont know of anyone getting a letter of offer yet. Can anyone update us? If your file was sent, what are your chances of getting a letter of offer?

Brenno17
26th Sep 2016, 10:31
When I attended flight screening in early May, I asked one of the instructors what would happen to flight screening when BFTS moves? He said that flight screening would stay at Tamworth on the CT4s. This makes sense, because if there is no 'Australian flying' occurring at Tamworth(currently BFTS, Singapore and another Asian country are training there pilots at Tamworth on the CT4s) then why should it exist?

Also...if the aviation fleet of all 3 services is expanding....they would need to put more candidates through flight screening to fill the pilot roles...therefore more room for more courses to be run at Tamworth, where BFTS currently fill most accomodation.

Toothless
26th Sep 2016, 10:53
I've got my assessment day on the 4th of October and I'm really prepared for it. Just wondering if anyone knows how full flight screening is for a DEO with there only being 3 screens run for the rest of the year. Thanks guys wish me luck!

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
26th Sep 2016, 22:11
Toothless,

Sorry to burst your bubble but unless you have zero medical quirks(?) at assessment and they manage to get you in to the specialists the week after your assessment (and nothing goes wrong there either), I'd say it's pretty much impossible to get you on a DEO FSP this year unless you are god's gift to the ADF in terms of your dossier. Unfortunately in almost all of the experiences I've heard, the longest wait in the process (excluding waiting for an offer) is going from assessment to FSP.

Toothless
27th Sep 2016, 08:28
ThisIsntLegalAdvice,

Yeah I sort of expected you'd say something along those lines. DFR scheduled my assessment day ASAP in hopes there were a few places left at the end of October. That being said if it was next year I wouldn't be too worried because that's plenty of time to prepare. Also you mentioned the specialist's the week after, what's that? I did the additional testing after my YOU session I didn't know there was more. Thanks mate.

FlyLowFlySlow
27th Sep 2016, 21:28
Toothless, the specialist appointments include a full optical assesment with an optometrist or ophthalmologist, a dental assesment and X-ray at a dentist and a full blood test (cholesterol and blood diseases).

I secured a spot on FSP about a month after my specialist appointments and 5 weeks before the FSP start date.

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
27th Sep 2016, 22:40
I hate being doom and gloom, you may have a good run and be through by the end of the year. If not, it's definitely not to say you can't get through it either!

Just be aware that if the Dr finds anything interesting/unusual during your medical during assessment, as they did for me, you can expect a much longer wait. First you'll have to arrange your own medical specialist testing, paid by you, to prove you're not defective and then AvMed has to make their own decision about your airworthiness (which took 8 weeks on top of the time it took for DFR to collate all my results).

I did my assessment November last year, had a few flags raised. Saw my own specialists in Feb/Mar, reports back to DFR by April, told I was approved by AvMed for FSP by mid June, mid July had date for FSP/OSB start of August. So all up the process will have taken close to 12 months and it will be over 12 months if I get an offer for next year. Which means I'm repeating my medical :|

Slezy9
28th Sep 2016, 20:50
When I attended flight screening in early May, I asked one of the instructors what would happen to flight screening when BFTS moves? He said that flight screening would stay at Tamworth on the CT4s. This makes sense, because if there is no 'Australian flying' occurring at Tamworth(currently BFTS, Singapore and another Asian country are training there pilots at Tamworth on the CT4s) then why should it exist?

Your instructor should pay more attention to the briefings they have received. Flight screening is moving to RAAF East Sale... In a couple of years there will be no ADF flying on the CT4.

harrybass3
3rd Oct 2016, 10:15
Does anyone know how long it takes the FSP board to actually give you a spot before they call you.

I got offered OSB for ACO and JBAC and the lady told me almost instantly that I will not be paneled for flight screening this year, which makes sense because I did assessment day in August and finished medicals in late august.

I know they call you around 2 weeks out but once they receive your file how is it distributed? If you are amazing do you get paneled sooner than those already locked in?? I just want to know if they see your application do they instantly grade it as competitive and give you a spot, even if it is months down the track?

Would I not have been paneled this year because the spots for OSB were already booked, or because I am not competitive??

To the people going to OSB over the next 6 weeks, good luck and see if you can sus out an info for us folk ;)

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
4th Oct 2016, 03:44
harrybass3,

There are several points to touch on but briefly:

Once your files is ticked off/recommended by DFR (for pilot and FSP), it gets sent to PSA at Tamworth - this can take a few weeks. Once there your dossier has to be paper graded by the board their to determine its competitiveness.

Once it gets a graded score, you will sit in the FSP pool until your file is competitive enough amongst those there to be placed on an FSP course. If your dossier is amazing, you will sit amongst the top applicants ready to be placed for the next available/applicable course (DEO/ADFA). You can get notified anywhere from a month to a week out from FSP depending on late pullouts etc.

I would think it unlikely (although not impossible) that they would bother booking FSP programs more than a month or two in advance because it is not in their interests to do so.

According to the FSP PSA course schedule - the end of the year is mostly ADFA candidates so that they can get them ready prior to offers early in the new year and courses starting early next year. I can't speak to what the story is if you're an ADFA candidate; it seems like there are 4 more courses from Nov through to Dec. If you are a DEO candidate, the last 3 courses for FSP for this year are 16 Oct, 23 Oct and 30 Oct. Unless someone pulls out, they will most likely have already been filled for the year.

Without knowing your personal circumstances, it is most likely you were not paneled because the courses were already full. If you are highly competitive and someone pulls out, you might get offered a spot on one of the above but this is less than likely. It may of course also be a case of your file not being particularly competitive in which case you are in the waiting game with most people.

Let me know if there's something I haven't covered!

harrybass3
6th Oct 2016, 13:20
Legal Advice,

Thanks for the help.

I think it would be most likely it is that FSP is full. If I was not competitive as an officer I don't think they would have sent me a OSB slot for ACO and JBAC. They obviously think I have the leadership skills and potential.

My medical was only just passed with provisional clearance for all my preferences. I am a DEO candidate so it may just mean flight screening was full for the year, which gives me peace of mind.

JBWings
7th Oct 2016, 04:02
Back tracking through this thread suggests offers for the first courses of the year are released around the 3rd week of November.

I'm fishing here - BUT, has anyone got some intel from DFR case managers / Tamworth on release dates to suggest the same or anything different (RAAF)?

FlyLowFlySlow
7th Oct 2016, 05:44
I got the call mid December last year for a February FSP. Easiest way to get the info you need is to ring Pilot Selection Flight (FSP) and ask how your dossier looks. Your dossier is graded and then place in the selection pool, they should give you a good idea about where you are sitting and when they'll look at filling spots for next year.

Dilmah G
11th Oct 2016, 12:44
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of any Army Officers who've attempted pilot selection and got through to the RAAF? I might "have a friend" who's a current cadet at RMC-D, slowly realising that they may have made a grave mistake in their career choice, and is currently looking at options to rectify that.

The alternative is leaving RMC and either applying in-service as a reserve officer cadet, or leaving altogether and reapplying through DFR - both of which involve not completing RMC, which would obviously look bad to a pilot OSB, although there is the possibility of commissioning once in the reserves, which would at least show commitment to finish what one started (the journey to commission). Life advice from those in the know appreciated. PMs preferred.

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
13th Oct 2016, 22:17
Hey all,

Has anyone got any gouge about offers and/or intakes for RAAF/NAVY/ARMY next year?

Asking for a friend... :ok:

FlyLowFlySlow
13th Oct 2016, 23:39
TILA,
If the previous Army intake is anything to go off offers will be put later this month. I couldn't say the same about the other 2 services though.

Dilmah G,
I have PM'd you.

kyle_
19th Oct 2016, 06:06
MrKhargify

I would like to message you or email you in regards to FSP but do not know how to?

StaffyDog
24th Oct 2016, 00:03
I am a long time reader but first time poster here and would like to start by thanking everyone for their contributions to this thread. It is an invaluable resource for those approaching flight screening.

My file was sent to Tamworth in September and I am eagerly awaiting a place at Flight Screening. In response to those asking about offers/intakes for next year I spoke to PSA this morning and was told that the next round of placements will be made in early December. I was also told that I am sitting in the middle of the pool which makes me a little apprehensive because (like all of us) I was aiming to be at the top.

Does anyone have any experience with pool placements? More specifically, do people in the middle of the pool generally get a spot eventually, or am I realistically looking at remaining in limbo while stronger applicants are put into the pool of candidates?

Luke22
24th Oct 2016, 08:22
Hello everyone, this is my first post thank you for all the info you guys have shared it's an amazing thread! Quick question; is there any calculus involved in the OSB or in the FSP? Thank you and would you know if there is any once you're admitted into the RAAF? Thanks, Luke

JBWings
24th Oct 2016, 23:31
Staffydog,

Just want to clarify. When you mentioned December release for offers are you referring to;

1. FSP placement spots or job offers?
2. DEO or ADFA?

Things i've heard/speculated about RAAF offers for FEB/MAR 2017
1. Released in the last week of October (DFR to a coursemate)
2. "We have no idea when offers will be released. As soon as we hear anything we will let you know" (Case manager)
3. 2009-Present shows them being released from 11th NOV - 2 DEC (this thread)

Don't have much info on pool numbers at the moment prior to FSP. I would assume they are increasing though as DEO course frequency drops off towards the end of the year. In saying that though there is a heap of them at the beginning of the year so you never know. Good luck

Luke22, SDT and single digit by double digit multiplication/division.

Forever fishing for information about DEO RAAF,

JBWings

StaffyDog
25th Oct 2016, 00:16
JBWings,

Apologies, re-reading my comment I was a little unclear. I was specifically referring to DEO spots for Flight Screening. I am also going for Army so it may be different for the other services. From my understanding of the conversation I had, all spots for this year have been filled (unsurprising as the last DEO FSP kicks off very soon) and the offers for the first rounds of flight screening next year will go out in early December. I am not sure if this is specific to Army or for all three services and I am only going off what I was told over the phone. I don't have any other information, sources or evidence to confirm it either way.

Boltyy
27th Oct 2016, 03:24
Long story short - I had a RAAF pilot offer signed and ready to start June last year but was made Class 4 from avmed due to laser eye surgery. Appealed and lost. Granted a waiver about two months ago. Had to resit additional testing and my Assessment Day last week as they had all expired. Booked in to redo all the medicals as well (dentist/opthalmologist/bloods). Good news is FSP CO confirmed after my Assessment Day I won't have to resit Flight screening or the OSB and file will go straight back into job pool hopefully for another offer.
So moral of my story is - I spoke to FSP this morning - was advised job offers won't be sent out (for RAAF at least) until the final DEO screenings are complete and have been graded. They indicated early December for this. The CO who approved me not having to resit OSB and screening is the same person who determines the offers that are made (for RAAF) so hopefully fairly accurate.
Although that being said - My initial offer for RAAF pilot was received in October 2014 for a start in June 2015.

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
27th Oct 2016, 05:49
Boltyy,

That sounds so rough on you; from experience, getting that Class 4 letter is heartbreaking and it's so average that AvMed balked at your file so late in the piece. Good news re: resitting OSB - it seems your update is as good as any of us have had this end of the year. It also follows the logic that they'd wait to see if there are any diamonds late in the year.

I've heard some nasty rumours about aviation in the ADF effectively downsizing in the (near?) future which makes me nervous.

Hanging in there,
ThisIsntLegalAdvice

Jenn2205
27th Oct 2016, 07:09
Hi All,

I just have a question which so far I have trouble getting a specific answer to through my research.

Going through the selection process for a pilot with the ADF it has been drilled in that you are applying for officer first, pilot second.

I'm aware that an officers role is to lead, mentor, make decisions etc etc however what does this look like specifically? What is the role of an officer on a day to day basis, who exactly are you leading, what are your responsibilities to the ones you lead and how much involvement do you have in planning/discipline/decisions being made?

I understand that this differs depending on your time in the role, the aircraft type you fly and the purpose of your missions but some examples or specifics would be of great help.

Thanks in advance, Jen

ryano
27th Oct 2016, 08:53
You don't really want the true answer, it's pretty heart breaking. Officer first; pilot fourth or fifth.

Jenn2205
27th Oct 2016, 09:01
You don't really want the true answer, it's pretty heart breaking. Officer first; pilot fourth or fifth.

Hi Ryano,

What's your take on it? The true answer is exactly what I am after.

Cheers, Jen

H-Dog
27th Oct 2016, 10:45
Jen,
Depends on a number of factors. Service and aircraft type being the big ones. I can talk to the RAAF only and the answer is you are a Pilot first and an "Officer" second (In my opinion). What I mean by that is when you first arrive at the SQN as a junior PLTOFF/FLGOFF your job is to fly, you will have basically no leadership role. As you progress through your career you will get more and more responsibility. Starting with progressing through as a Captain in your first tour on heavies or progressing as a 2 ship and then 4 ship lead on Fighters. The leadership role is not in it's typical sense though, as a Captain/2 or 4 ship lead you will make airborne decisions and direct other crew/formation members but that tis about the extent of it.
After ~10 years in you will look at promotion to SQNLDR where you will pick up a flight commander then XO gig, this is where the leadership role in its typical sense begins.
As far as other Officer related duties go there is a few that you will always be doing, promotion courses etc.

The above is the truth of it but I would suggest that recruiting would like to hear you say that you are willing to take on the role of an officer etc. etc. I.e Officer first, Pilot second.

Hope this helps, good luck everyone.

josephfeatherweight
27th Oct 2016, 11:03
See my post 3105 in this thread for more info.

That was not my experience, which was RAAF, but maybe is the case in the Army??

Jenn2205
27th Oct 2016, 11:19
Thanks H-Dog,

I am heading up to FSP on Saturday and this was one question which has continually gone round in my head as to how much 'officer' responsibility can they give you as PLT/FLG OFF fresh out of training (and for the first couple of years also) and what those responisbitlies actually are.
I have spoken to a couple of relatively new RAAF pilots along the way who were very helpful but only thought about this specific question after the fact.

JFW - I am going to look into your previous post now

FlyLowFlySlow
31st Oct 2016, 01:21
To anyone waiting on an Army offer. Word is offers were meant to be out late October but have been delayed for some reason but will be out within the next week or so.

septerra
2nd Nov 2016, 15:12
Quick question - Anyone know the oldest person in recent years to have gotten a pilot seat with no previous flying experience?

I'm pushing 28 and would like to know if there have been others that have broken through that late.

nrs108
2nd Nov 2016, 20:29
Hey Septerra - some people who made it through my recent FSP course were a lot older than you. I doubt it will be a problem.

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
2nd Nov 2016, 21:46
Septerra,

I did flight screening in August and there was a guy on BFTS (RAAF) and he was in his 30s or 40s? I'm not sure what his story was and whether or not he had a flying background but I imagine you'd have to be quality enough to be worth their while.

As they say, age ain't nothing but a number.
TILA

MrKhargify
8th Nov 2016, 09:29
I've heard some nasty rumours about aviation in the ADF effectively downsizing in the (near?) future which makes me nervous.

That rumour is completely off :8 Aviation is only getting bigger, especially in the RAAF with the new platforms coming in. :ok:

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
8th Nov 2016, 21:20
I agree that it's counter intuitive given the new aircraft but allegedly it's due to a decrease in the number of hours expected to be flown.

I'm not sure if this is because our involvement in overseas Ops is winding down or the maintenance:flying hours ratio with the new airframes or the greater involvement of sims as a substitute for actual hours or a combination of all of them.

I can't take the rumour any further than saying it came from a guy who told he was slated for an SSO offer but then subsequently told it was going to be withdrawn due to the powers that be shutting down SSO completely; as part of that conversation it appeared that the shutdown was going to extend beyond SSO/Army.

nrs108
8th Nov 2016, 22:05
TILA - I understand from a similar source that a back log of Army pilots in the training pipeline is why SSO has been canned for the foreseeable future.

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
9th Nov 2016, 21:22
nrs108,

Did Ash get that story as well then? Do you know who got distributed out of your group?

FlyLowFlySlow
9th Nov 2016, 21:54
What about Aviation Cadetships for GSOs? Are they still in place?

nrs108
9th Nov 2016, 22:07
TILA - Yeah he got the same story. By distributed do you mean files sent to Canberra? If so I know of myself and one other for sure. Although I assumed everyone's is sent? What about your group?

FLFS - As far as I know they are. I think the SSO positions are there to fill the GSO gaps. There just appear to be no gaps to fill currently.

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
9th Nov 2016, 23:31
Yeah that's what I meant, that's good news! AFAIK distribution from the pool of candidates with recommendations is a good sign of getting an offer for the next course(s) although I wouldn't say it's a guarantee.

Yeah at least 1 (maybe 2) other civvy from my course and I got distributed. One of the in-service guys as above had their own news re SSO so i'm not sure if they'll let him be available for this round of offers etc.

FlyLowFlySlow
9th Nov 2016, 23:45
Best of luck to you both. I'm happy to say that I picked up a GSO Pilot offer late last week.

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
10th Nov 2016, 00:43
Congrats FLFS! That's what you wanted then, with the aviation cadetship?

Did it say anything about the cadetship on the offer?

nrs108
10th Nov 2016, 00:54
Awesome news FLFS!

FlyLowFlySlow
10th Nov 2016, 01:04
Thanks lads, I've PMed you both.

Boltyy
10th Nov 2016, 01:36
Congrats - was army your first preference? When's your intake?

FlyLowFlySlow
10th Nov 2016, 01:38
Thanks Boltyy, first preference and Janurary start

Carrot21
10th Nov 2016, 15:58
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew when the first Initial Officers Course starts next year? I've got things going on until early to mid February and just want a general idea. I have been in contact with my case manager but she is unaware as of yet.

nrs108
10th Nov 2016, 23:11
Hey Carrot21 - Feeling quietly confident? :P

I understand there are two IOC courses early next year. Mid Feb and mid March. Each taking 15 pilots.

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
11th Nov 2016, 01:50
nrs108,

Where'd you get the gouge on actual numbers?

As far as I remember the Feb course was slated to start on 10 Feb. I don't have an exact date on the March course although mid-March was my understanding as well.

nrs108
11th Nov 2016, 02:47
TILA - The actual numbers came from a chat during one of the service info sessions at FSP. Although I'm sure those numbers will be subject to the whims of the higher powers...

septerra
11th Nov 2016, 16:09
Am I to understand from the last page that SSO is no longer available. That was my first preference, however, I'm nowhere near FSP as I'm still awaiting a clearance from MVR3.

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
11th Nov 2016, 23:58
Septerra,

Unfortunately, that seems to be the story. These sort of things never filter out fast enough to DFR level, nrs108 and I both know people who've been told by the ranking Army officer at FSP that SSO is no longer available as of a month or two ago, effective immediately.

lightning2Boy
20th Nov 2016, 12:50
Hey guys, I had my final medical clearance at the end of June with my file being sent off to Tamworth soon after, but still haven't heard anything back about being put in an FSP, I know it won't be until next year now just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me??

djmp92
22nd Nov 2016, 04:01
Lightning2Boy same with me. Medically cleared in August and no word since. Called up a few times to check in and they just mentioned it's been sent to Tamworth.

I've found working on other side projects and having a "Plan B" has been extremely beneficial in taking my mind off the uncertainty. I've been learning bucketloads about myself and developing a crazy work ethic from it. Might even hook into some more study.

All of this will look favourable to the OSB. I'm sure they'll be curious as to what applicants have been doing in the 6 - 12 months since being medically cleared and waiting for a call. If you're not going forward you're stagnating and going backwards. Always aim to improve yourself and the rest will follow ;)

Good luck!

ARJM
23rd Nov 2016, 06:41
Hey guys,

I've spoken with one of the ladies at flight screening and she said the next round of candidates should be getting a call around the 5th of december. Hopefully some of us get some good news! :)

ARJM

machzero
25th Nov 2016, 05:24
G'day everyone,

Very stoked to be able to say that I received an offer to enlist on the 10th of Feb 2017 with the RAAF.

Let me know if anyone else receives an offer.

Good luck everyone!

machzero

JBWings
25th Nov 2016, 06:23
^ See you at OTS mate.

adbailey121
25th Nov 2016, 07:16
A month and a half behind you guys. So I'll see you there at some point. March 24.

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
25th Nov 2016, 08:21
Seems like this thread will go quiet for a while, 10 Feb for me.

See you there Mach and JB (and adbailey!)

nrs108
25th Nov 2016, 10:32
I'll be there on the 10th of Feb too. Congrats guys!

djmp92
26th Nov 2016, 06:48
Hey guys!!

Just wondering if any applicants waiting for Flight Screening would like to start a "Mastermind" group. It's something I incorporate in my professional life, getting like minded individuals in the same situation as me to share information, tips and techniques on how to grow and improve towards hitting their goals. It's an amazingly powerful resource.

Obviously in this context it's to do with flight screening. Things you've been studying, techniques on those mental maths equations, resources, contacts and all that jazz. If we all live locally we could also meet and start getting to know each other as well.

I've found this forum to be invaluable for information and various contacts who have been through, are going through or are about to go through the process have been so crucial to my preparation. In fact without the assistance of other people I wouldn't even be at this stage. It's all about being humble enough to learn off other people's experiences. It's how you grow and reach that next level.

And finally, the military's always been about teamwork. We can achieve exponentially more if we all put all our heads together and help each other out towards that singular purpose. Let's aim to get everyone through.

If anyone's interested shoot me a private message. Looking for about 5 to 6 people at the most.

josephfeatherweight
26th Nov 2016, 21:34
Let's aim to get everyone through.

Therein lies the key to every successful course (be it Flight Screening or Pilots Course) that has gone before you.

Good idea, djmp92. Good luck! :ok:

AT591
27th Nov 2016, 05:49
Hey guys!

Long time reader, first time poster. I guess mostly because I'm down to the business end of my application now. Passed Assessment Day and my file was sent to PSF around June this year.

Got a hold of PSF a few months ago and they said I was in the middle of the pool and still competitive for a slot.

Hopefully I'll get a call up soon but the waiting game is killing me! Glad to know there's a few of us in the same boat!

Anyone have any idea when they'll release the FS Schedule for next year?

Good luck everyone!

_jnr
28th Nov 2016, 23:24
lightning2Boy - I'm in the same boat as you. Got my final medical through in August, fingers crossed for next year I guess?

_jnr
30th Nov 2016, 19:47
djmp92 - I'm heaps keen, I emailed you. It wouldn't let me reply on here for some reason.

Markdo
2nd Dec 2016, 11:24
Hey djmp92 - I am interested in forming a study group too

5piece
2nd Dec 2016, 20:02
djmp92, good idea. I'd like to be part of that.

ARJM
5th Dec 2016, 00:24
Djmp92, good idea mate. I would also like to be a part of this group. I have PM'd you.

Markdo
5th Dec 2016, 01:10
Can't seem to be able to pm but message me and we can exchange details. Emails?
I am currently waiting for my medical to be cleared up before I can get my file sent.

Central.runner
5th Dec 2016, 05:54
Djmp92, nice initiative. Distance may prevent me from meeting many I person, but in any case I'd be happy to share a few bits and pieces collected along the way that others may find useful in their quest. Cheers.

CoodaShooda
7th Dec 2016, 19:03
Good luck to all of you starting down this path.

This week, a former reader and contributor to this thread has passed 2 OCU and received his first posting to an operational Hornet squadron.

The seven years from DFR to ADFA to BFTS...2FTS...79 Squadron...76 Squadron...2OCU...seem to have flashed by.

It's taken a lot of effort and commitment. So has it been worth it? 'Ken Oath! (apparently)

Well done Zulk.

adbailey121
7th Dec 2016, 23:33
Congrats to Zulk, he's made it to where most of us are gunning for.

Okiedoke
8th Dec 2016, 01:12
I'm happy to participate and help each other by sharing our own insight into aviation and life in the DF.

I could help to a limited basis, those wanting to know more about aviation before potentially going to FS.

Markdo
8th Dec 2016, 20:37
Since there are now a few posters who have shown interest, how do all of you want to go about organising the group? Emails? Whatsapp? Where is everyone from? I am based in Victoria.

Okiedoke
9th Dec 2016, 05:03
Since there are now a few posters who have shown interest, how do all of you want to go about organising the group? Emails? Whatsapp? Where is everyone from? I am based in Victoria.

Group chat (Whatsapp) would be the ideal method.

5piece
9th Dec 2016, 06:36
I like the idea of email. It'll likely be easiest for sharing any documents and access from different devices. I'm from South-east Queensland.

JBay1
9th Dec 2016, 16:43
Hi all,

This thread is a goldmine of information and thanks to all for their contributions.

My question is whether or not aircrew applicants who have had LASIK eye surgery (as opposed to PRK or LASEK) are still disqualified from enlisting?

A page from DFR's 'Refractive Surgery Guide to Applicants' includes the comment that "LASIK is not an accepted procedure for Aircrew". I believe that document (copy attached) was created in 2012, but I don't know if things have changed since then. Both the USAF and RAF have changed their procedures to allow LASIK, but it isn't clear if the ADF have.

Back on page 159, FlyLowFlySlow posted a comment that: "the Aircrew Visual Requirements have just changed (this week in fact!) so this may work in your favour. I don't have a link or a copy of these new standards though unfortunately." It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I'm hoping these changes might lift the ban on LASIK (assuming it's still there).

I am at the early stages of the process, having completed my YOU session with the next stage being Additional Testing. It seems to me that the LASIK issue will be an effective showstopper for my application, no matter what preparation I undertake from here on in.

If anyone has any useful info on any of the above, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks you.

FlyLowFlySlow
9th Dec 2016, 21:20
JBay1,

The best info I could get in regards to LASIK for aircrew was this from DFR:

"Candidates applying for aircrew positions who have undergone LASIK may be acceptable”, “The specialist report must confirm that the candidate has undergone contrast sensitivity testing and must report the results. Contrast sensitivity can be undertaken with the Pelli-Robson chart or any other 5% contrast sensitivity chart used by the Ophthalmologist. Contrast testing and symptom discussion should not be undertaken until 3 months post surgery for myopia and 6 months post surgery for hypermetropia”.

“Candidates who do not meet the AVR standard are not to be advised to undergo surgery as a means of entry….Defence does not advocate surgery as a means of entry: undergoing surgery does not guarantee entry”.

Read into all that as you will, but be aware that LASIK may disqualify you for aircrew indefinitely. I have heard of some great results from PRK however.

JBay1
10th Dec 2016, 12:17
Hi FLFS

Thanks a million for your reply, all may not be a lost then. I had LASIK done a few years ago, so unfortunately there's nothing I can do to change that; back then I was oblivious to the ADF's position on it.

Thanks again.

septerra
11th Dec 2016, 03:33
G'day,

I've completed my assessment day about six months ago and still haven't received a medical clearance. I've now been advised that this will be delayed to January, since they shut down for the Chirstmas period. However, if I do receive the medical clearance in January, that'll leave me with only about five months in the PSA pool.

I'm in a bit of a unique situation, where I need to appeal (or lodge a complaint if that's the word I may need to use) for my file to be kept at PSA for twelve months after medical clearance. What would be the correct way to do this?

Just to add a bit of clarity, I've done my assessment day thrice over five years and the specialist testing twice. I've never once failed a component and it's always the medicals that keep tripping me up in terms of the wait periods and the assessment day validity expiring in the meanwhile.

5piece
11th Dec 2016, 07:55
Hi septerra,

I've asked a similar question except with regards to the YOU session and additional testing. The recruiting officer was firm on the fact that once the applicable time has elapsed for each component of screening, then that component must be completed again. He then told me that he knows of several cases where guys have had to redo their YOU session in the week before they signed up and went of to OTS since it was just over 3 years since they did their original YOU session.

However, no harm in asking and I hope you get a response that helps your situation.

ARJM
12th Dec 2016, 06:06
Hey guys,

I've just received an email from DFR informing me that I have secured a spot for FSP February 12 - 25. Definitely a pinch myself moment. Hope to see some of you there!

ARJM

RachelJ
12th Dec 2016, 10:04
Congrats ARJM!! How long was your wait between assessment day to notification for FSP? I know for a fact my file hasn't even gone to Tamworth yet but I remain quietly hopeful nonetheless!

ARJM
12th Dec 2016, 21:49
Thanks RachelJ. I did my assessment day on 8th of May this year but didnt get my medical finalised until around the end of July.

Boltyy
15th Dec 2016, 03:10
For those who have completed flight screening in last few months, the final RAAF distribution from PSF to headquarters happened this week so offers from that should filter in early next year

Edit:

So the call this morning to say I've been distributed a few days ago made me post the above comment.

But just got a call this arvo to say I've got an advanced job offer for March 24 start!

Anyone else going in March 24 RAAF DEO?

adbailey121
15th Dec 2016, 04:22
Hey Boltyy,

Congrats on your offer. I am also in for the 24th of March next year!

I'll pm you as well.

Congrats again

Jenn2205
15th Dec 2016, 05:03
Hi Boltyy and adbailey,

I also received an advanced offer today for DEO intake for March 24th!

It actually hasn't even sunk in yet! But will be seeing you there :)

Jen

JBWings
15th Dec 2016, 21:49
Has anyone that has been selected for RAAF DEO on 10 FEB / 24 MAR been given anything more than an "advanced offer" at this stage?

Boltyy
15th Dec 2016, 23:26
The enlistment coordinator who rang me said they were finalising all the ADFA offers first as the ADFA guys needed to start in Jan. Once they'd finished them they would send out the full offers to the DEO guys

casej44
19th Dec 2016, 09:54
Hey guys,

Long time reader and first time poster, but super excited to have found out that I'm officially heading off for Flight Screening on the 4th of Feb!

Was just wondering if anyone else was heading up then and would like to share some tips/advice or just get together before heading off (:

I would also be super keen to hear from anyone who has been up there recently and can give me some helpful tips!

(:

Thanks

ThisIsntLegalAdvice
22nd Dec 2016, 21:09
Hey Casej44,

I went in August last year and the tips throughout this thread continue to apply.

There isn't anything specifically I can recommend for FSP except maybe getting in the air for a few hours prior to heading down, even if you're not the one in control (maybe especially if you're not). I had mild air sickness at the start but I knew it was probably coming so I was ready and knew my symptoms haha.

Also chair flying, as ridiculous as it may look, was immensely helpful.

Fly safe and merry Christmas!

ARJM
2nd Jan 2017, 21:16
Hey guys,

Just seeing if anyone has received an offer for PSF between 12-25 Feb. I will be there at that time and would be good to touch base with people before I get down there.

Cheers

Pillymonkey
6th Jan 2017, 20:14
G'day everyone,

Can anyone recommend any Mathematics bridging courses in N.S.W (or nearby) that are DFR approved? Meet all requirements except for the Maths education requirement (Didn't do 2 Unit back when I was at school, only general...) and just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as I am overseas for the time being and can't discuss with DFR for now, but looking to get back to Aus and complete a bridging course so I can begin my application.

Had a look through this forum but the few suggestions were quite uncertain with regards to whether the ADF would accept any course, or only particular courses that they deemed as suitable.

Cheers.

ARJM
10th Jan 2017, 03:53
Hi Pillymonkey,

As far as I know, if a bridging course is good enough for you to get into uni it's good enough for dfr. I did a full adult tertiary prep course at TAFE a couple years back to get into uni and dfr were happy with that. Have a look around for some courses and give dfr a call to see if it would be acceptable. It just has to be Maths B equivalent (I'm from qld, I believe its called something else in nsw). Hope this helps

AT591
10th Jan 2017, 05:10
Hey Pillymonkey,

I did a course called Aeronautical Mathematics which was run by Dr Steve Holding. He's an awesome bloke and knows his stuff. It got me the tick in the box that I needed as I was in the exact same boat as you. It's run at the University of Queensland a few times a year and its a 4 week 9-5 live in course. You can do it by correspondence but its not recommended. Give it a look.

AT

F35A
10th Jan 2017, 05:52
Hi Pillymonkey,
I definitely second what ARJM mentioned, if you are considering undertaking any study always get it confirmed first with DFR. I have heard of applicants completing extra study only to find out that it was not accepted for Pilot entry.
All the best of luck with your application. Also congratulations to ARJM on receiving an offer for PSF in Feb, I hope you can find someone to make contact with prior to attending.

Malakor1
10th Jan 2017, 06:14
G'day everyone,

Can anyone recommend any Mathematics bridging courses in N.S.W (or nearby) that are DFR approved? Meet all requirements except for the Maths education requirement (Didn't do 2 Unit back when I was at school, only general...) and just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as I am overseas for the time being and can't discuss with DFR for now, but looking to get back to Aus and complete a bridging course so I can begin my application.

Had a look through this forum but the few suggestions were quite uncertain with regards to whether the ADF would accept any course, or only particular courses that they deemed as suitable.

Cheers.

Hi Pillmonkey,

I went through the process with dfr over 3 yrs ago and did a bridging course with murdoch university in WA online via open universities;

http://handbook.murdoch.edu.au/units/details?unit=MAS182

At the end of the day somebody at dfr just needs to be satisfied that the course you completed meets a standard equivalent to the school mathematics requirements and then can sign off on that.

It was a bit of a pain doing these bridging courses just to get in but once you get through it will make you work harder knowing how much effort you have put in to get there!

Good luck

Pillymonkey
10th Jan 2017, 13:17
G'day again guys,

Cheers to all you blokes for pointing me in the right direction, already looking into the suggested courses now. Hopefully i'll be able to finish up my commitments overseas then return to Aus and begin the long process that is pilot selection :)

Thanks again guys.

stmc
12th Jan 2017, 22:03
G'day Folks,

Anyone aware of the short sighted limitations for aircrew?

FlyLowFlySlow
13th Jan 2017, 05:59
Myopia limit is -3.00 dioptre. Visual acuity must be better than 6/18 uncorrected and 6/6 corrected.

Isaiah98
16th Jan 2017, 00:31
Hi Everyone

I recently completed my YOU Session and I'm now moving on to the Pilot Additional Testing. I have been told it includes " A battery of tests involving speed and accuracy, spatial ability, and approximations and estimates." however I was hoping to get more information with specifics so i can prepare.

Can anyone provide me with some pointers, perhaps individuals with previous experience?

Thanks

F35A
16th Jan 2017, 23:53
Hi everyone,

I just saw that the RAAF released the 2017 Flight Screening schedule on their website. If anyone is curious please see the link below:

Pilot Selection Flight - Royal Australian Air Force (http://www.airforce.gov.au/Our_People/Careers/Becoming_a_Pilot/Pilot_Selection_Agency/?RAAF-NVhdsO9FrLJRUr4T6iy0dnLXZ+WLhNBt)

Good luck!!

septerra
20th Jan 2017, 04:49
What's the latest FSP callout so far?

Also, is the file held at PSA for 12 months from when they receive it, or is it dated for 12 months since the Assessment Day regardless of when they receive it from DFR. Ex: Althoug my Assessment Day was done in late August, the file will probably be sent to PSA this week. Would this then mean 12 months from Jan 2017 to be considered for a FSP spot, or only upto August 2017 before the file being sent back to DFR.

Markdo
20th Jan 2017, 08:41
This has been posted up before, and another member of this forum has formed a study group now sharing ideas and study material. Just a shout out for anyone else who is interested in joining for more details just shoot me an email.

ARJM
21st Jan 2017, 06:50
This has been posted up before, and another member of this forum has formed a study group now sharing ideas and study material. Just a shout out for anyone else who is interested in joining for more details just shoot me an email.

Hey Markdo, what is your email address? Keen to get involved.

harrybass3
23rd Jan 2017, 06:46
So I keep getting an email saying I have been placed on an ASP for Air Combat officer and JBAC officer.

They asked last year in september, 2 weeks after medical clearance and now today I have received an email saying I have been placed on this OSB.

Has anybody else had any experience with such a selection process?

Importantly, should this be taken as a good or a bad sign?? It obviously means they think I am officer material but does it imply they do not think I am competitive enough to be a pilot.

I can't really think of any holes in my application except that I failed gauge reading but received a waiver because I have a PPL. I tick all the boxes; 2 degress, leadership experience, great references, awesome career currently and great motivation.

Any thoughts on this situation would be appreciated.

ARJM
24th Jan 2017, 06:51
Hey harrybass, just out of curiosity, have you completed flight screening?

harrybass3
24th Jan 2017, 08:03
ARJM, No. I was medically cleared for service around the end of september and am trying to understand how competitive my application is.

ARJM
24th Jan 2017, 21:53
Well it sounds like your application is very competitive. It may be just a case of waiting that little bit longer for a spot to open up. You could try calling Tamworth FSP to try and get an idea of where you're currently sitting in the pool. I was medically cleared around the end of July and have been placed in the Feb 12 FSP so thats a solid 6/7 months, I also considered myself fairly competitive.

Also, did you say you would consider an ACO position? That would be why they are offering you the OSB for that first as opposed to FSP.

Hopefully you hear some positive news soon.

harrybass3
25th Jan 2017, 01:15
Thanks ARJM,

I am just worried about the waiver I got. I am hoping they dont see it and push me to the bottom of the pool. I don't have the courage to call FSP and see where I am hahaha. I am just wondering how the will interpret the waiver?

On the other end I demolished my assessment day which demonstrates my leadership ability and and life experience. Resume was great and had 5 references, one being an air force scholarship within the Air Force Cadets.

SO essentially it is trying to pick what matters more, test scores or assessment day??

I am sure I will get a spot but there is always that train of uncertainty that fills your mind with doubt. In regards to ACO i put it as my second preference as I wanted to demonstrate I am keen to be an officer but I don't think I would like to be an ACO or JBAC.

Also, apparently they are getting desperate for pilots? Can anyone shed some light?

ARJM
25th Jan 2017, 04:14
Yeah definitely seems like you tick all the boxes mate. I don't know how they view waivers though. You would think that having a PPL would mean your proficiency in gauge reading is a given.

I would definitely recommend you give them a call mate. I think it shows eagerness. Otherwise just wait it out as I'm sure you won't be far off getting the call (or email).

Good luck mate

RachelJ
30th Jan 2017, 07:49
Hey guys,

Just seeing if anyone has received an offer for PSF between 12-25 Feb. I will be there at that time and would be good to touch base with people before I get down there.

Cheers

ARJM! I got a call this morning, someone dropped off the course so I've been placed on the same one :) I'll see you down there!

ARJM
30th Jan 2017, 11:34
Great to hear RachelJ, congrats! What airport are you flying out of?

RachelJ
30th Jan 2017, 19:59
Thanks ARJM!! I'll be flying out from the Gold Coast. Should get the JI and itinerary today. You?

ARJM
31st Jan 2017, 00:07
Flying out Brisbane with a stop over in Sydney then on to Tamworth at 1220 for a 1325 arrival. Let me know if you're on the same flight out of Sydney as we could meet up before we board :)

harrybass3
31st Jan 2017, 03:12
Well looks like a good day,

I am on the FSP that starts on Sunday the 26th to Saturday the 11th of March.

Got the email today and confirmed ASAP.

Looks like my waiver did not impact at all. It was a 4 month break including the Christmas period.

Is there a whatsapp or discussion group we all can join?

RachelJ
31st Jan 2017, 03:45
We are on the same flight to Tamworth out of Sydney ARJM! Yew! I fly in to Sydney at 9am so plenty of time to meet up beforehand if you're around early too :)

Congrats Harrybass3! Everybody is heading down so soon. Exciting times!

ARJM
31st Jan 2017, 04:19
Congrats harrybass, awesome news! Theres a facebook page Ive just been added to. Add me on facebook and I will add you in, my name is Alex Macdonald.

harrybass3
31st Jan 2017, 04:59
can you pm me link to your facebook? there are a few Alex Macdonalds

ARJM
31st Jan 2017, 23:13
Perfect RachelJ, I tried to send you a pm with a link to my facebook but it wont let me. What is your last name?

cwalsh8
1st Feb 2017, 00:13
ARJM and RachelJ - I'm leaving this Saturday from the Gold Coast so I'll see you down there on the 12th :)

RachelJ
1st Feb 2017, 01:30
I'll PM you AJRM, my surname should be easy to find on Facebook :) mad cwalsh! See you down there!

CaptainSkyHawk
2nd Feb 2017, 01:23
Hey Guys,
Just wondering if there's been any instant in the past, where you've been recommended(middle third and competitive) after FSP, but then deemed not competitive, and still gotten an offer?

Tothesky
3rd Feb 2017, 12:06
Hey guys,

I've recently received some fantastic news that I will be on the 12-25 March FSP, I'm beyond excited for it :) Is anyone else on this course that would like to get in touch before we get to Tamworth?

NPT98
4th Feb 2017, 11:28
Hey guys,

Cheers

Hey! My names Nick and I'm based in Brisbane, I've also received an offer to attend PSF from the 12-25 Feb, I've only just recently discovered this thread however, are you on the 0905 flight out of Brisbane on Sunday 12/02/17?

F35A
4th Feb 2017, 11:37
Hi Tothesky,

Congratulations on receiving an offer, I've received an offer for the FSP from the 05th-18th of March and I am beyond excited as well!

It looks like we will see each other during the crossover period, feel free to get in contact if you would like to go over some study preparation.

Is there anyone here with an offer to attend FSP during the 05th-18th? It would be great to get in contact beforehand to share the excitement.

ARJM
5th Feb 2017, 20:47
Hey Nick, I sure am on that flight! PM a link to your facebook and I will add you :)

blakeyhawk
12th Feb 2017, 16:01
Hey Markdo, ARJM, and anyone else going for flight screening soon

I myself am going for the FSP on the 26th till 10th. I am on QF2004 from Sydney leaving at 1220. Will be in Sydney from the 15th onwards and very keen to meet anyone going on course or at least connect via Facebook. My Facebook ID is blakeyhawk and name is Blake Hawkins. Email is [email protected]. Feel free to send me a message if you want to start a study group or know some people in a group already. Super keen for flight screening and hope to see a few of you there.

TTAYHC
20th Feb 2017, 01:35
Hey everyone,
Long time reader, first time poster.
I was on the August FSP for last year and was placed in the top third for competitiveness. Everybody I went on course with has heard back and received an offer for Pilot except for me. The only difference from myself to everybody else, was that I also sat an ACO Board a week earlier. I received an offer for ACO starting June (which I am over the moon about), but I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with not hearing anything after attending FSP and receiving a recommendation?

mitchmiels
20th Feb 2017, 06:57
Hi everyone,

Just looking to touch base with anyone in the Brisbane region who is attending Flight Screening between the 5th and 18th of March. Send me a message here or find me on Facebook. Happy to meet up for a chat between now and the 5th.

seb111
23rd Feb 2017, 04:33
Hi all,

I have been in the application process for RAAF Pilot for quite some time (over 2 years) due to sitting height, although all has been resolved and I have been medically cleared. I am currently waiting for an offer for Flight Screening. Just wondering if anyone has any up-to-date and relevant information that they could provide to help with my studies.

Additionally, anyone else that has been sponsored to go to Avalon Airshow by DFR please send me a message ! Would like to know who I will be spending the weekend with.

Cheers:ok:

Trojan1981
26th Feb 2017, 22:10
Hey everyone,
I was on the August FSP for last year and was placed in the top third for competitiveness. Everybody I went on course with has heard back and received an offer for Pilot except for me. The only difference from myself to everybody else, was that I also sat an ACO Board a week earlier. I received an offer for ACO starting June (which I am over the moon about), but I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with not hearing anything after attending FSP and receiving a recommendation?

ADF is running short of pilot candidates, but the situation for ACOs is even worse. They'll be hoping you take that offer, since you've shown an interest, and will probably hold off of on an offer for pilot.

rollsl
1st Mar 2017, 06:56
Hi Guys,

First time posting. I am currently awaiting an offer for Flight Screening after passing my assessment day in November and finalising medical assessments in late January. I have just received an all clear letter for my medicals and was just wondering how much longer I can expect to be waiting for an offer?

Also I am attending the Avalon Airshow over the weekend and was wondering if anyone would like to meet up. Would be great to be able to discuss the rest of the enlistment process and make some mates prior to entry if I am successful!

Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers.

RachelJ
1st Mar 2017, 20:43
Hey guys,

I recently completed FSP in Tamworth and unfortunately I was not recommended. The worst part is that I received an officer recommendation but it was the flying that was the clincher in the end which means that I have to wait the three years to redo it. I ended up getting airsick on nearly all of my flights and it impacted my flying considerably. In my board the president told me that the airsickness was a 'training risk' and that PSA wouldn't be processing me any further.

I did take as much time as possible to chat to the students at BFTS about it and they said that a lot of people get airsick, and that BFTS runs a desensitisation program. Which then makes me wonder whether a few hours flying aerobatics might do the trick! I'm just wondering whether anyone has ever tried to appeal the three year waiting period or whether it's pretty set in stone (which seems to be the general consensus)? I figure that if I can go and spend some money on aero's in the next 12 months and show a substantial improvement, PSA might be amenable to waiving the three year period or considering a shorter period of time before I can reapply. After failing a YOU session when I was 16, to being told my eyesight wasn't good enough, to having laser surgery, writing an appeal and finishing a degree, and then getting airsick (for the first time in my whole life) I'm not ready to give up... But three years is a pretty epic setback and I'm furious with myself :(

In the alternative the board did offer me a GSO (non-aviation) role, which I'm looking into. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to change corps though - does anyone have any experience doing so/know if anyone who has done so? Army aviation was a 5 in my preferences so this route (while not the path of least resistance) might be something to consider.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

junior.VH-LFA
8th Mar 2017, 14:14
BFTS doesn't offer the desensitisation program, AVMED does. Generally speaking, you need to be able to demonstrate that you can get through FSP without it being debilitating. Some of my mates got crook on course, but after 2-3 trips it resolved itself.

I can't speak for Army, but I don't recommend joining the ADF in a role you don't have your heart set on. It becomes pretty tedious after a while if you don't love what you do.

finestkind
14th Mar 2017, 02:19
RachelJ.

If you don't ask the answer will always be no. Also remember with 5428 being implemented and a new selection process happening it might not be a three year wait.

HotelBushranger
14th Mar 2017, 10:40
G'day all,

Passed my additional testing and waiting on an assessment day (once DFR pulls their finger out...), planning what I'm going to say in the interviews and what examples of leadership I'm going to give. I'm 26 and have done the following:
-Cadet Sergeant with Air Force Cadets as a teenager
-Former Army reservist (just as a digger, only for a couple years before moving overseas and no leadership examples to show for it)
-Self employed for ~18 months
-PPL
-Undertaken informal training roles at various employers
-Lived in several countries
-Various others

Just wondering if those who have gone through assessment/OSB think this is going to be enough? I haven't done the traditional 'leadership' things of sports club captain/rotary etc for a long time and not what they expect for their officer candidates.

Also, based in Perth so if anyone wants to touch base to practice for their YOU testing/assessment day etc etc let me know, also know a couple serving RAAF/RAN pilots so can pass on what advice they've given me.

StaffyDog
15th Mar 2017, 05:17
Hello all,

After a bit of trouble organising my availability with work and I have finally confirmed that I have a spot at Flight Screening for the course beginning on the 7th of May. I know it's a little way off yet but if anyone else has been placed on the same course please feel free to send me a PM so we can get in touch before we go. Cheers!

cotta464
21st Mar 2017, 09:03
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone had heard any news on current offers for any of the three services?

Stu.

seb111
21st Mar 2017, 10:14
Hello all,

After a bit of trouble organising my availability with work and I have finally confirmed that I have a spot at Flight Screening for the course beginning on the 7th of May. I know it's a little way off yet but if anyone else has been placed on the same course please feel free to send me a PM so we can get in touch before we go. Cheers!

Hey Staffydog,

Just wondering how long were you sitting in the pool before you got the call for slight screening ?

Cheers

StaffyDog
21st Mar 2017, 22:46
Hey Seb,

From memory I completed my YOU session in July last year, my additional testing day in August and my Assessment Day in September. I was fortunate with all of my medical information and got things approved pretty quickly after my Assessment Day for the medical clearance. My file was sent to PSA at Tamworth in late September from what I understand.

Like all of us here, I was really keen to know where I sat in the pool of candidates so I called PSA in November to see how I was going. I was told that at that point that I was sitting roughly in the middle. This led to an offer to attend Flight Screening in March that I had to knock back because of work. This devastated and terrified me to think that I might have lost my only shot at it, but PSA were extremely understanding and accommodating and put me on the first course I was available for.

I'm a bit hesitant to give out the number for PSA myself as I don't know that it's the done thing, but your case manager at DFR might be happy to pass it on so you can give them a call and see where you stand. It's probably the best way to get an indication of how long you can expect to be waiting.

From your earlier posts about sitting height, your username and the fact that you attended the Avalon Air Show with DFR I'm pretty sure I shared a plane with you from Melbourne to Brisbane once the weekend was over. I'm the "old" guy from the mid-north coast of NSW. If you end up getting in touch with PSA let me know how you go. Maybe we'll end up on the same Flight Screening course. Good luck!

tiashivaun
24th Mar 2017, 07:17
Hi everyone,

I received my dates for flight screening today and couldn't be happier. Anyone else attending Course on April 30th (201717)?

StaffyDog - See you in the overlap mate ;)

tiashivaun
24th Mar 2017, 08:20

Hi Markdo - is this study group still going? :)

RichardK
25th Mar 2017, 07:08

Good question! I'd be interested, I just recently passed the Defence Interview to change my preference from ADFA entry to DEO entry, so hopefully in the distribution pool before too long.

My enlistment officer said that after 3 months she'll contact PSA to determine my application's competitiveness, but from the sounds of it we can do that ourselves if we acquire the right phone number...

Markdo
25th Mar 2017, 10:45

Hey tiashivaun,
That's great news I am on that flight screening too. If you and Richard would like to join the group email me my details are on my profile.

skyhigh4
28th Mar 2017, 02:11
Hi guys,
Im going for additional testing in april and just wondering if anyone can tell me whats it like, the difficulty of the maths questions and any good study resources that i could use.

LDF2017
1st Apr 2017, 01:54
Hey guys. Great thread. I'm trying to work out the best route to enter RAAF. Trying to work out the major differences between DEO and going via ADFA. Any first had experience would be really appreciated. Ta.

RachelJ
2nd Apr 2017, 23:16
Hi everyone,

I received my dates for flight screening today and couldn't be happier. Anyone else attending Course on April 30th (201717)?

StaffyDog - See you in the overlap mate ;)
Hey Tia! I tried to send you an email in response to yours but the forum says you have elected not to receive them so I haven't been able to reply - feel free to shoot me an email with a return email address in it :)

Instance56
5th Apr 2017, 03:02
Hi Everyone,

I attended my YOU session 2 days ago and managed to get a full JOR. My hope had been to put down Pilot and 2 engineering positions ( as i graduate at the end of the year ) for my preferences in the Air Force but in regards to my Pilot Preference the Career Advisor ( He is a RAAF Technician ) Wouldn't put down Pilot for me since I am turning 28 this year which is just past the 27.5 recommended cut off for DEO Pilot.

So i guess my question is , is it still possible for me to try and pursue Pilot in the Air Force despite my age ? I understand that the chance of ever flying a Super Hornet would be almost 0 due to my age but I am not a All or nothing Figher Pilot minded person I would like most people love to fly the Wedgetail or the Poseidon ect.

He said for me to Preference Army Pilot instead since they accept people up to 35 but i left a spot empty in case i have a chance to get the Air Force Pilot added to the list.

Thank you for any advice anyone might offer.

finestkind
7th Apr 2017, 05:20
I56.

Suggest you ask your Career Advisor to go over the RAAF requirements.

The ADF is not age discriminatory. There is no such thing as an age cut off. What is required is that you can serve out your IMPS.

josephfeatherweight
8th Apr 2017, 04:43
Wouldn't put down Pilot for me since I am turning 28 this year which is just past the 27.5 recommended cut off for DEO Pilot.
As finestkind alluded to, this is not correct. At the very least, this Adviser already suggested it was only a recommended cut off.
Perhaps tactfully request another Career Adviser...
Don't rule yourself out for flying a Super Hornet, either. You'll be the only barrier to doing that if you get a foot in the door!

skyhigh4
8th Apr 2017, 08:16
have my assessment session coming up on the 24th. Anyone been and wanna let me know what its like, any tips?

Instance56
8th Apr 2017, 10:51
As finestkind alluded to, this is not correct. At the very least, this Adviser already suggested it was only a recommended cut off.
Perhaps tactfully request another Career Adviser...
Don't rule yourself out for flying a Super Hornet, either. You'll be the only barrier to doing that if you get a foot in the door!

I56.

Suggest you ask your Career Advisor to go over the RAAF requirements.

The ADF is not age discriminatory. There is no such thing as an age cut off. What is required is that you can serve out your IMPS.

Thanks for the feedback guys I have to email through some written references on Tuesday so when I call to confirm they have my documents I will make sure to push to have it listed as a preference so I can get started on the additional testing. Worst case if they still are on me about my age I will list Army Pilot since from what I read at the FSP is when you really set your actual Preferences.

Thanks for the feedback will post an update later down the track.

TTAYHC
10th Apr 2017, 19:46
I see. I didn't realise that. I've been told that if I am to receive an offer for pilot, it will be any time this month. That is of course "IF" I am to receive one. Thank you for the reply.

septerra
11th Apr 2017, 10:14
Hi Everyone,

I attended my YOU session 2 days ago and managed to get a full JOR. My hope had been to put down Pilot and 2 engineering positions ( as i graduate at the end of the year ) for my preferences in the Air Force but in regards to my Pilot Preference the Career Advisor ( He is a RAAF Technician ) Wouldn't put down Pilot for me since I am turning 28 this year which is just past the 27.5 recommended cut off for DEO Pilot.

So i guess my question is , is it still possible for me to try and pursue Pilot in the Air Force despite my age ? I understand that the chance of ever flying a Super Hornet would be almost 0 due to my age but I am not a All or nothing Figher Pilot minded person I would like most people love to fly the Wedgetail or the Poseidon ect.

He said for me to Preference Army Pilot instead since they accept people up to 35 but i left a spot empty in case i have a chance to get the Air Force Pilot added to the list.

Thank you for any advice anyone might offer.

Keep at it. I was 22 when I applied and got an offer before medicals screwed me over. I'm 28 now and into my third attempt since. I'd still be at it at 35 or however long it takes.

Instance56
12th Apr 2017, 09:01
Keep at it. I was 22 when I applied and got an offer before medicals screwed me over. I'm 28 now and into my third attempt since. I'd still be at it at 35 or however long it takes.

Thanks mate, Have been following your story for about a week now. Been reading through the thread from page 1 up to around 95 now. The Medicals are so brutal and I was reading about a few guys who all got messed about because of the Army change in height restrictions and a lot of people with medical appeals. The process seems to come to a complete grinding holt when anything comes up in any of the medicals.

What stage into your third try are you now?

AviaSmart
12th Apr 2017, 13:34
Hey all,
i am trying to find skytest version 3.0 compass test
really urgent...please help
will return the cost involved in the same.
Thanks

Mithzaron
13th Apr 2017, 15:41
Howdy,
I am new here so excuse me if I am repeating past questions.
I am in Y12 and seriously considering a career in the RAAF as a Pilot.
Got a few questions about the recruitment process as I see some of you are in the midst of it.

1. I have a medical concern with my eye sight. About 80% of my family have poor vision, mine is 20/20 as of the moment. Does eye sight have to be 20/20 uncorrected for the medical, or simply correctable to 20/20?

2. How long does the recruitment process take? I am assuming that I should be applying as soon as possible?

3. How hard/competitive is the process?

4. On the apply form, it asks for your highest level of education. Do I put Year 12 as I am currently doing it? If I put Y10 the website doesn't let me choose Pilot?

5. Any tips for somebody just starting out?

Thanks. Look forward to chatting with y'all

AviaSmart
14th Apr 2017, 08:48
hey all,
i am trying to find skytest version 3.0 compass test
really urgent...please help
will return the cost involved in the same.
Thanks

please help me or if you may guide where i can get the same!!!!

josephfeatherweight
15th Apr 2017, 11:37
Mithzaron,

My recommendation for your queries no. 2,3,5 are to read back through this thread - at least for the last 3 years. There are many pearls of wisdom within this thread and it behooves you as an ambitious wanna-be-military-pilot to read through these pages.

Best of luck!

Joe Lighty

Nobody's ever died from pressing...

seb111
24th Apr 2017, 06:01
Hey everyone,

Glad to say I have just received and offer to attend the DEO FSP on the 28th May - 10 June. Just wondering if there is anyone else on this forum attending this course ? And for anyone that has recently attended the FSP if you have any tips !

Cheers all !

StaffyDog
25th Apr 2017, 10:52
Hey everyone,

Glad to say I have just received and offer to attend the DEO FSP on the 28th May - 10 June. Just wondering if there is anyone else on this forum attending this course ? And for anyone that has recently attended the FSP if you have any tips !

Cheers all !

Great news! Congratulations, Seb.

seb111
25th Apr 2017, 12:58
Staffydog,

So sorry I did not respond to your earlier message... I have not been on this forum since! Small Small world running into you and again and again thank you for the previous advice RE: contacting DFR relating to FSP.

Thanks for the congratulations, I hope all the best for your FSP ! its coming up in a couple of week isn't it? I believe I remember you saying 7th of may?

raaf123
26th Apr 2017, 06:19
Just wondering if anyone has heard regarding RAAF offers for Pilots? Or when the next round of offers will be released. Cheers

harrybass3
26th Apr 2017, 10:26
I finished Flight screening in early march and am waiting for an offer (raaf first, then Army or Navy). I was told I was in the top 25% for competitiveness and I still have not received an offer (although it is early days).

I had a mate get in last year who got called saying he had an offer in the mail on the 26th of April. Does anyone know when offers are scheduled to come out?

raaf123
26th Apr 2017, 11:04
My understanding is the next OTS course will commence in mid June so the offers for that course should come out shortly. I think there is another course starting 6 weeks after that as well. Just wondering if anyone has received offers for the June OTS course?

StaffyDog
30th Apr 2017, 08:53
Seb, no worries at all mate and congratulations again. You're spot on with my date - I'm heading off this coming Sunday and I couldn't be more excited! I'll send you a PM once I'm home and let you know how it all went.

AnythingIsPossible
2nd May 2017, 04:02
Hi everyone,

I have just received an email invite to the 4th June FSP course. Is anyone else here going to be on that course?

Would love to chat leading up to the course and potentially meet up if anyone is in the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane area.

seb111
5th May 2017, 22:56
Best of luck with your FSP and OSB mate, I'm sure you'll kill it ! I look forward to hearing how it all went when you get back.

Good luck !!!

tayra
8th May 2017, 08:38
Hello everyone,

Just doing a bit of research for my upcoming assessment day. Does anyone know what will happen to intermediate pilots course once AIR5428 gets into full swing next year? Will it be the case that all three services will now follow the conventional BFTS/2FTS route or is the Army going to attempt to continue running IPC on the PC-21s at sale? Haven't been able too find much info on this in press releases or white papers.

Cheers

tartare
11th May 2017, 02:08
Hello all,
my boy is doing Year 11 next year - and dead set on getting entry to ADFA with the aim of doing pilot training.
He's wanting to try for fast jets - and I'm moderating his expectations given how competitive that is.... let alone being selected for pilot training.
My question regards maths.
For those of you who've been through the OSB - is studying advanced maths looked on any more favourably than basic maths?
I sense the extra content itself may not matter a huge amount.
Calculus etc. is probably only good if you're going to build jets rather than fly them.
But would the OSB view it as an example of ability to learn complex tasks quickly, take on a significant commitment and deliver etc?
i.e. demonstrating leadership potential?
Would welcome your views - and also any thoughts from anyone who did Year 11 and 12 advanced maths while still at school.

CoodaShooda
11th May 2017, 08:28
Hi tartare

Check PMs

tartare
11th May 2017, 08:35
Thanks Cooda - much appreciated mate.

StaffyDog
11th May 2017, 22:06
I just wanted to put this out as a heads up for army candidates attending flight screening in the near future. At this point army is not recruiting pilots.

At all.

Despite the DFR website listing GSO and SSO pilot as priority jobs army have cut recruitment for pilots completely and will not be taking on any more in the short term future. If you're heart's set on flying rotary for the ADF, start reading up on Navy...

Malakor1
16th May 2017, 11:32
Good Evening All,
My Name is Anakin Bawden and I am very keen on joining the Royal Australian Air Force when I am older and becoming a pilot. I am currently in Year 9 and in year 10 will be doing Pre-Specialist and Maths Methods. I will also be doing Physics, Chemistry and some other subjects including English Language. My question today is if anyone on this page has done interviews for the ADF and has any advice on my current school subjects and any recommendations or other advice on my application and interview process and maybe general information on schooling in general that would be highly appreciated!
Thanks A lot

-Kind Regards:)
Anakin Bawden

Hi Anakin,

Great to hear you're thinking about this from a younger age, really good stuff.

For subjects, check out the defence force recruiting website to see the subjects needed as a minimum - always good to get the official information.

I can definitely recommend getting involved in team sports as well as extra curricular things such as debating, community service etc. These are great to show team work and participation and the interviewers value it highly. If you can go for a leadership position within your school such as a sports captain or prefect even better but if not that's ok, just get involved in activities.

I also highly recommend going down to a flying school and getting at least a couple flights in a light aircraft to see if you like the experience. A lot of people realise they don't once they get to flight screening but they never tried it beforehand. Again the interviewers will like the fact that you have experienced flying to see if you enjoy it.

If you do feel airsick don't worry, several guys I know still get airsick from time to time and it is generally treatable.

Finally one bit of advice that helped me is never take no for answer. It took me 3 years just to get in but there's always a way, you just have to keep pushing. One day you can be strapping on a pc-9 (or pc-21 in your case) and buzzing about.

It really is a great career and very rewarding, but you have to make the system work for you and get out of it what you need. It's hard work and flight training is tough and sometimes it all seems too much, but that's where you fall back on your motivation to get to the end and get your wings. You get to do stuff that civillian pilots could only dream of, and sometimes you find yourself in disbelief over what your doing - it's those moments that make it all worthwhile.

Good luck!

zanzare
16th May 2017, 23:56
Hi all,

Like most other newbies here, I have come across this forum while doing my leg work for my pilot application for the ADF. It's amazing to see that this thread has been kept alive for so long! I will try to keep my questions/post succinct - and any answers or feedback is greatly appreciated.

For the best part of the last four years I have been travelling/living abroad, and only recently returned back to Australia. My last job was abroad in Europe which involved project and production management, so I believe this covers the 'leadership' trait - however I could be wrong. Since my return I have been on the hunt for any job but am having no luck. Knowing that the application process can be quite lengthy at times, I am a little concerned that this period of unemployment may hinder my chances. More to the point, I feel that the longer it takes, the less relevant (or outdated?) my leadership role in the UK will become. Could anyone provide any insight as to how the OSB/ADF would perceive this? Am I better off delaying this until I get a job/have more recent leadership roles?

I am still in the early stages of my application, sitting the Pilot Spec tests on Monday, confident on making it to the assessment day where my employment (or lack thereof) may be brought up.

Again, any feedback would be welcomed.

harrybass3
17th May 2017, 11:45
Does anybody know about RAAF or Navy offers?

I did FSP in Feb/March and there seems to be silence across all channels.
No one i know has heard back and it seems oddly late.

raaf123
17th May 2017, 12:30
Harry, I received a RAAF offer for the June OTS course about 2 weeks ago. I'm assuming the offers for June have gone out. I think the following OTS course is early August so fingers crossed for you for then.

Markdo
20th May 2017, 23:49
Hey all,
Does anyone have any idea about the start dates of OTS courses for RAAF?

jasebarn
23rd May 2017, 07:34
hey guys just wondering if anyone is in the same position as me or is able to clear up what I've been told by my enlistment coordinator. I'm currently waiting on the call to attend FSP/OSB. I've been told that I'm in 'the middle third of the competitive pool and will be offered a spot on flight screening when considered competitive enough.'

I'll give a bit of an insight into who I am, I'm 22 years of age and recently finished a bachelor degree in science at the University of Melbourne. I also achieved an ATAR of 96.30 on completion of VCE in 2012 completing subjects such as Methods, Specialist, Chemistry etc. I currently work at Dan Murphy's in a managerial position and have been doing so for a number of years.

I was recommended for FSP/OSB in October 2016 but hit a bit of a wall with my medical, but was later considered a class one in February this year.

Could anyone shed some light on what I've been told or is it the norm to be waiting this long.

Thanks in advance, Jason.

lightning2Boy
23rd May 2017, 09:10
Hey guys!

About 2 weeks ago I have received my invitation to the flight screening course starting on the 18th of June. Unfortunately it has been more than 6 months since my assessment day so I now have to go in on monday (29th) to resit the entire day which is a bit of a bummer, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

So now I'm assuming my offer is conditional that I pass the assessment day again :/

And if anyone else is placed in the same flight screening course it would be great to have a chat and possibly make a group for us to talk in and prepare together, send me an email if you are interested!

Cheers

Jkahler91
26th May 2017, 06:57
Hi All,

I have my Specialist Testing for Pilot coming up in a month. It has been at least 5 years since I last did it.

Can anyone please tell me what is involved now? I have heard that they have taken the joysticks out of the testing? I'm prepping by going through my mental equations and math skills.

A little bit about me: After completing School I applied for the Air Force and they knocked me back saying I didn't have enough life experience. So here I am now as a fully qualified Personal Trainer running my own business living by myself and should have all the experience they require.

Kind Regards All.

JK

tayra
29th May 2017, 00:25
Hey JK, I had my spec testing recently and there was no hand-eye coordination testing. Aside from that I don't think much has changed since when you would have originally done it. Speed and accuracy important and all that jazz.

BoxBoxCheez
30th May 2017, 22:13
Zanzare, recommend turning on private messaging.

I wouldn't worry about a period of unemployment. Your experience abroad provides an insight into your leadership qualities, and also demonstrates life experience which is priceless when you're competing with school leavers for a position.

Jkahler91
31st May 2017, 01:35
Hey JK, I had my spec testing recently and there was no hand-eye coordination testing. Aside from that I don't think much has changed since when you would have originally done it. Speed and accuracy important and all that jazz.

Hey Tayra,

Thanks for that. I'll continue to improve my mental arithmetic skills. I'll let everyone know how I go next wednesday. I have found a nice little course that tailors to the testing done on the Specific testing which is run by ex-military personal.

Regards

JK

RandosaurusRex
2nd Jun 2017, 13:33
Completed the additional testing for pilots today, was actually easier than I expected (thankfully haha). Now to call DFR tomorrow and get the assessment day booked in for ASAP hopefully, the wait I had between my initial application and my YOU session was like torture :P

GCcity
11th Jun 2017, 02:56
Hey mate how'd you go on the additional testing?

I have my pilot additional testing coming up next week any tips?

Carrot21
27th Jun 2017, 17:33
Hi all,

I'm enlisting on July 28th for OTS and am wondering if there was anyone on here who has the same date? Probably a long shot but it would be good to get to know the people I'm about to spend the next 18 weeks with.

Cheers x

septerra
3rd Jul 2017, 04:34
Anyone know if the August FSP offers have been sent out?

If they have, I'll need to re-do the Assessment day for the fourth time... sigh.

Appreciate the info if anyone has it.

tayra
3rd Jul 2017, 10:45
Hey Septerra,
Cant offer anything super concrete but I had an OSB mentoring evening a couple of weeks back and met a couple of people on #28,29,30 courses (which I believe would've been greater than 4 weeks notice for those). My file just got down there last week and I haven't heard anything yet so hopefully those 31-33 courses are still to be filled.

septerra
4th Jul 2017, 07:34
Tayra, appreciate the info mate. Thanks :ok:

FlyingSoon
14th Jul 2017, 08:17
Hey mate how'd you go on the additional testing?

I have my pilot additional testing coming up next week any tips?

Plenty of good tips in this forum. Expect questions on estimation, rapid maths hand eye coordination etc.

EDIT: Seems hand eye coordination has been removed recently based on anecdotes in this thread.

FlyingSoon
14th Jul 2017, 08:25
Could anyone shed some light on what I've been told or is it the norm to be waiting this long.

Thanks in advance, Jason.

No, it's not normal to wait this long. The fact you are in the middle third means there will be plenty of people in above you and would be replaced as they come out with new candidates going through the testing.

You may have to wait in the pool for a while. I was in your position once and got a surprise call to fill a vacancy on a course. I ended up getting an offer and I'm now in the job I wanted.

Just be prepared to go through and complete another Assessment Day to improve your competitiveness after the year has gone through as the results only last a year.

Best,
fs

cagibson
20th Jul 2017, 08:57
Hi all! Just received an invite for FSP for 20th August which I am over the moon about! (Medical approval 11 may). Anyone else have this date yet? Keen to have a chat before going down

_jnr
30th Jul 2017, 10:06
Hi all! Just received an invite for FSP for 20th August which I am over the moon about! (Medical approval 11 may). Anyone else have this date yet? Keen to have a chat before going down

I'll also be at the 20th Aug - 2nd Sep FSP. Would be great to have a chat!

flank1
1st Aug 2017, 12:17
I'll also be at the 20th Aug - 2nd Sep FSP. Would be great to have a chat!
I'll be there also! Shoot me a message if you wanna chat, cheers.

lightning2Boy
2nd Aug 2017, 12:22
Hey guys just wanted to update you all, I completed my FSP just over a month ago and got recommended in top 25% of candidates. Just wondering how long those of you who received offers had to wait for your offer and what % of the pool you were placed.

Cheers

Logicalexplanation
3rd Aug 2017, 04:38
Hello All!

Like many of you I've ventured down the path of joining the ADF with aspirations of becoming a Pilot.
I've spent a considerable amount of time going through the wealth of information on this thread and am grateful to everyone who has contributed over the years.

I've recently completed my additional pilot testing having passed with eligibility for all the roles I had preferenced and had a Assessment session scheduled for a end of August. I've since had my session cancelled due to receiving a Med Class 4 after completing my Part B Medical Questionnaire.

I've been rendered ineligible due to a head injury I suffered while snowboarding in August 2016. I had a fall, suffered a concussion and had a tonic clonic seizure. I was medically cleared by my local hospital two days later after various scans (CT etc) and applicable checks and monitoring. I have no ongoing management for anything from the injury and this is the only seizure I have ever had in my life.

I note the ADF medical guidelines state you must be seizure free for at least 2 years. However, I was hoping for guidance for the following:
- Is it worth obtaining medical reports and attempting to appeal the decision?
- Is the decision likely to be overturned at all?
- Has anyone experienced anything similar and what was the outcome?

Thank you!