Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southampton-3

Old 8th Aug 2023, 08:11
  #1861 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Waters edge
Posts: 440
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eastern

Originally Posted by Albert Hall
The aircraft left SOU this morning to do a charter between Edinburgh and Dublin. It'll go to Orly when it gets back from that merry jaunt. Tells you all you need to know about their priorities of scheduled v charter.
Eastern are operating a 3xdaily Newquay Gatwick service, its regularity and punctuality compares well with other airlines.

The Paris routes for some reason are a different story.

FF
Flitefone is online now  
Old 8th Aug 2023, 10:10
  #1862 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 508
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flitefone
Eastern are operating a 3xdaily Newquay Gatwick service, its regularity and punctuality compares well with other airlines.

The Paris routes for some reason are a different story.

FF
Newquay is a PSO route and likely to be financially lucrative for them, hence prioritisation
SKOJB is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2023, 16:44
  #1863 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 50+ north
Posts: 1,236
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what is now indicated on the contractor's app (8 Aug) the remaining inset approach/centreline lights should connected shortly, just an airborne flight check to do? Keep a look out for an evening visit by a Diamond Twin Star or other twin flying a number of approaches to RWY 20. That signed off paint markings to go down, weather permitting could be completed in one night.

Hopefully the airport's surveyors on standby for next week. The limited task necessary should be comfortably possible with a few hours work, day or two to wrap up the survey data, rubber stamping by SOU and then emailed to NATS AIM for verification.

Looks as if the contractors will be completed by or before the 18th, just a wait for SOU to wrap up the CAA "Completion" paperwork, then a wait for the CAA to sign it off.

As AGS will have paid mega bucks for the CAA's project involvement, they can reasonably expect that CAA will not drag their heels.

Nice to see a project come together as it should, on time, and hopefully on budget?
TCAS FAN is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2023, 16:59
  #1864 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 871
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How exciting (it is anyway for SOU supporters) that after many years of rumour, talk and disappointment, the runway extension is finally coming to fruition next week. Regardless of what negative comments certain posters have to say, this will be a positive for the airport and the local area and will certainly enhance the prospects of enticing future airlines and routes. Congrats to all concerned with this project and fingers crossed for a strong future!
stewyb is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2023, 17:28
  #1865 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 50+ north
Posts: 1,236
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stewyb
How exciting (it is anyway for SOU supporters) that after many years of rumour, talk and disappointment, the runway extension is finally coming to fruition next week. Regardless of what negative comments certain posters have to say, this will be a positive for the airport and the local area and will certainly enhance the prospects of enticing future airlines and routes. Congrats to all concerned with this project and fingers crossed for a strong future!
in respect of the negative comments, maybe an airport just up the M1 from London could learn a lesson or two about project management?
TCAS FAN is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2023, 17:54
  #1866 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,136
Received 317 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by stewyb
How exciting (it is anyway for SOU supporters) that after many years of rumour, talk and disappointment, the runway extension is finally coming to fruition next week. Regardless of what negative comments certain posters have to say, this will be a positive for the airport and the local area and will certainly enhance the prospects of enticing future airlines and routes. Congrats to all concerned with this project and fingers crossed for a strong future!
Who is going to cut the ribbon and open it?

Hop[efully soem major Media person........... Ant or Dec maybe
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2023, 18:18
  #1867 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TCAS FAN
in respect of the negative comments, maybe an airport just up the M1 from London could learn a lesson or two about project management?
Absolutely. Progects are always finished late and substantially over budget.

Last edited by LTNman; 9th Aug 2023 at 21:32.
LTNman is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2023, 19:01
  #1868 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 50+ north
Posts: 1,236
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
Who is going to cut the ribbon and open it?

Hop[efully soem major Media person........... Ant or Dec maybe
On their contrary, surely someone who has devoted his whole working life to SOU deserves it more than some celebrity. Hope AGS resist the temptation to invite, and pay, for a celebrity who has no interest, apart from the fee, in the airport.

My nomination appears in an earlier post.
TCAS FAN is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2023, 19:06
  #1869 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 871
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=TCAS FAN;11481985]On their contrary, surely someone who has devoted his whole working life to SOU deserves it more than some celebrity. Hope AGS resist the temptation to invite, and pay, for a celebrity who has no interest, apart from the fee, in the airport.

My nomination appears in an earlier post.[/QUOT

Remind me of post number please
stewyb is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2023, 19:48
  #1870 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s not like opening a new bridge. Hi Viz jackets, passports, paperwork for each invite and temporary passes required and visible if done properly with the runway closed via a NOTAM. I suspect they won’t bother, as it is an active runway and not a park bench that is being dedicated.
LTNman is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2023, 20:58
  #1871 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southampton
Posts: 610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TCAS FAN
From what is now indicated on the contractor's app (8 Aug) the remaining inset approach/centreline lights should connected shortly, just an airborne flight check to do? Keep a look out for an evening visit by a Diamond Twin Star or other twin flying a number of approaches to RWY 20. That signed off paint markings to go down, weather permitting could be completed in one night.

Hopefully the airport's surveyors on standby for next week. The limited task necessary should be comfortably possible with a few hours work, day or two to wrap up the survey data, rubber stamping by SOU and then emailed to NATS AIM for verification.

Looks as if the contractors will be completed by or before the 18th, just a wait for SOU to wrap up the CAA "Completion" paperwork, then a wait for the CAA to sign it off.

As AGS will have paid mega bucks for the CAA's project involvement, they can reasonably expect that CAA will not drag their heels.

Nice to see a project come together as it should, on time, and hopefully on budget?
There being tested today,according to the project manager email to me.
RW20 is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2023, 22:34
  #1872 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 50+ north
Posts: 1,236
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=stewyb;11481987]
Originally Posted by TCAS FAN
On their contrary, surely someone who has devoted his whole working life to SOU deserves it more than some celebrity. Hope AGS resist the temptation to invite, and pay, for a celebrity who has no interest, apart from the fee, in the airport.

My nomination appears in an earlier post.[/QUOT

Remind me of post number please
Itís 1597.
TCAS FAN is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2023, 09:15
  #1873 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,136
Received 317 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman
Itís not like opening a new bridge. Hi Viz jackets, passports, paperwork for each invite and temporary passes required and visible if done properly with the runway closed via a NOTAM. I suspect they wonít bother, as it is an active runway and not a park bench that is being dedicated.
Oh they don't have actually go out on to the runway! No - a simple photo opportunity in front of a parked aircraft (so the public will realise its about air travel), a smiling celeb (pref attractive) and an open bar for the hacks as close as possible to the photo shoot. This is PR not aeronautics
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2023, 09:18
  #1874 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,330
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
Are there any celebrities associated with Southampton? My brain won't get past Matthew Le Tissier
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 10th Aug 2023, 09:42
  #1875 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Are there any celebrities associated with Southampton? My brain won't get past Matthew Le Tissier
Rishi Sunak, current UK Prime Minister - born in and grew up in Southampton
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2023, 13:37
  #1876 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will do it, as I passed through Southampton docks in June, and visited the airport terminal maybe 30 years ago, so I have a long association with Southampton. Maybe they can cement a plaque to the runway?
LTNman is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2023, 15:37
  #1877 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,136
Received 317 Likes on 183 Posts
perhaps inter you alive as a human sacrifice for good luck?
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2023, 18:10
  #1878 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: In the sun
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Asturias56
perhaps inter you alive as a human sacrifice for good luck?
Commanche 250 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2023, 23:42
  #1879 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 43
Posts: 746
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
perhaps inter you alive as a human sacrifice for good luck?
If only! One way to deal with a pest.

Truly great news that a runway extension is almost a reality after all these years. Credit to the airport for their perseverance.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2023, 05:40
  #1880 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shame about the trees though. More perseverance needed.
LTNman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.