Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)

The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)

Old 18th Aug 2023, 09:48
  #961 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the info. Spoken with a few friends, one who has built an RV already.

# RPC vs RPL can be done to save a little money, but maybe not as much as I've been thinking. So will go with RPL as no issues with medical. Can do training in a smaller aircraft as well to save money.
# Do flight training 'quickly', i.e. don't leave huge gaps otherwise it will take longer.
# Finding a good instructor is important. However sometimes another instructor in the same school can teach you something you are stuck on
# Do a few TIF at the airports you can easily get to, ask lots of questions,
# Reasonably double min 25 hours if you want to pass comfortably.

Will start down the research path with aim to do RLP over Spring/Summer.... hopefully!

RV stuff, well that's another discussion, but hopefully it happens.
Abs81 is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2023, 01:00
  #962 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking advice for becoming commercial pilot after Yr 12

Hi all,

I am at the stage in my life where I need to make the decision for applying to universities as I am nearing completion of year 12.

However, I have had the passion for flying commercially for many years and with uncertainty in the industry of getting jobs from being a fresh CPL student, I am really stuck with what to choose. I am currently looking to do the Swinburne Bachelor of Aviation course, or the Bachelor of Information Technology and later look to fly in my free time and build enough hours (as a flight instructor if I did flight school) to apply to airlines or other charter companies. I also currently hold no pilot license.

I have also been researching the Qantas Pilot Academy program to see if this is another potential option to get my foot into the aviation industry as a pilot.

I would really appreciate advice on the best way to approach this.
BPilot11 is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2023, 05:03
  #963 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 527
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by BPilot11
Hi all,

I am at the stage in my life where I need to make the decision for applying to universities as I am nearing completion of year 12.

However, I have had the passion for flying commercially for many years and with uncertainty in the industry of getting jobs from being a fresh CPL student, I am really stuck with what to choose. I am currently looking to do the Swinburne Bachelor of Aviation course, or the Bachelor of Information Technology and later look to fly in my free time and build enough hours (as a flight instructor if I did flight school) to apply to airlines or other charter companies. I also currently hold no pilot license.

I have also been researching the Qantas Pilot Academy program to see if this is another potential option to get my foot into the aviation industry as a pilot.

I would really appreciate advice on the best way to approach this.
First off, welcome to the forum! The Swinburne course or QPA are both good options and a few other Unis around Australia also offer aviation degrees (including B.Bus Av), so if you're willing to move it would be worth considering them.

With pilots in high demand both now and projected to remain so into the future, the world is your oyster right now. Good luck and I wish you well on your journey - it's an exciting one!
PiperCameron is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2023, 02:13
  #964 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,282
Received 203 Likes on 89 Posts
IF you are going to do one of those types of courses, talk to a qualified financial advisor rather than a flying school salesman before taking on a VET loan.
Clare Prop is offline  
Old 29th Oct 2023, 10:58
  #965 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Melb
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all
Just a couple of questions about the sorta unknown Moorabbin Flying Services Airline career/cadetship program.
Does anyone have any adivce on the program/information as it is hard to find anything relating too it and find any past students of the course.
Thanks
Batza250 is offline  
Old 30th Oct 2023, 00:48
  #966 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 527
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Batza250
Hey all
Just a couple of questions about the sorta unknown Moorabbin Flying Services Airline career/cadetship program.
Does anyone have any adivce on the program/information as it is hard to find anything relating too it and find any past students of the course.
Thanks
MFS are strongly linked to AFTIA and are currently trying to re-invent themselves, so I doubt their current program has much in common with previous ones. They held an information session back in June: https://fb.me/e/ZrV2yjgy Did you go?

What exactly are you wanting to know? I haven't had anything to do with MFS for a couple of years now, but someone else here might be able to help.
PiperCameron is offline  
Old 30th Oct 2023, 04:23
  #967 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Melb
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I didnt attend the information session as I found out about the program 2 weeks ago as I drove past thier office and saw a sign advertising the airline cadetship.

Im just a bit sceptical when it comes to the program as it isnt mentioned on their website. Like is this program/opportunity of a job with up companies up north and Southern given to the average Joe who comes in and wants to get his CPL or is it like the actual cadetships where when you sign up for the specific program and only those kids in the program get given the opportunity for those jobs.

Its making me think back to the qantas academy with FTA and how you are placed in a "pool of candidates" for a potential job with qantas as if there arent like 500 graduates still waiting for that call from qantas.

Batza250 is offline  
Old 30th Oct 2023, 05:23
  #968 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 527
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Batza250
Unfortunately I didnt attend the information session as I found out about the program 2 weeks ago as I drove past thier office and saw a sign advertising the airline cadetship.

Im just a bit sceptical when it comes to the program as it isnt mentioned on their website. Like is this program/opportunity of a job with up companies up north and Southern given to the average Joe who comes in and wants to get his CPL or is it like the actual cadetships where when you sign up for the specific program and only those kids in the program get given the opportunity for those jobs.
As I mentioned, they've been trying to re-invent themselves so this is probably too new for their website. I know pre-COVID they had a link with Sharp Airlines and quite a few of their graduates got jobs that way, but wouldn't know if that's still the case nowadays.

If you're interested in a cadetship, I'd strongly suggest stopping by and asking them - they're a nice bunch and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you have. :-)
PiperCameron is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 20:21
  #969 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grade 3 instructor first job....help

Hey, Just finished a g3 instructor rating (it was fun) and all on vet-fee-help. I also studied more training endorsements to really stand out in my resume. I did the DFE and Instrument training endorsements to make my Grade 3 ticket stand out from many dozens getting pumped out of my school. It's been 8 months and nobody is responding (i've tried Aero clubs across the country). My debt sits at around $55,000 NOT including the ppl/cpl/me ir lol. The $55k is just for the instructor qualifications. Will take any feedback/tips/ideas. Cheers, Brock.

p.s. my total vet debt is around $140,000. I cannot even look at my balance when I login. And NO JOB.
laminar89 is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 22:20
  #970 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth
Posts: 19
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by laminar89
Hey, Just finished a g3 instructor rating (it was fun) and all on vet-fee-help. I also studied more training endorsements to really stand out in my resume. I did the DFE and Instrument training endorsements to make my Grade 3 ticket stand out from many dozens getting pumped out of my school. It's been 8 months and nobody is responding (i've tried Aero clubs across the country). My debt sits at around $55,000 NOT including the ppl/cpl/me ir lol. The $55k is just for the instructor qualifications. Will take any feedback/tips/ideas. Cheers, Brock.

p.s. my total vet debt is around $140,000. I cannot even look at my balance when I login. And NO JOB.
Try FTA (Parafield not Wellcamp). I know with certainty they are in need of more instructors. PM me if you need more info.
Tbot is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 23:52
  #971 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,282
Received 203 Likes on 89 Posts

That is an eye watering amount of money. It does worry me how many people are clocking up these massive debts with indexation at 7.1%, That's $9940 a year added if you don't pay any off this year. On a typical instructor's starting salary you would pay off maybe $1400 a year, the rest compounds.
A good way to stand out on a resume s to have more PIC time and diverse exerience than the other applicants.
Clare Prop is offline  
Old 5th Dec 2023, 04:22
  #972 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: G.S.L.
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
That is an eye watering amount of money. It does worry me how many people are clocking up these massive debts with indexation at 7.1%, That's $9940 a year added if you don't pay any off this year. On a typical instructor's starting salary you would pay off maybe $1400 a year, the rest compounds.
A good way to stand out on a resume s to have more PIC time and diverse exerience than the other applicants.
I learnt this the hard way. Finished CPL then decided to get more shiny new tickets on HELP loan in the hopes I'd "walk into" a job as a result. On $120k debt right now. The flying jobs I've had so far have come across as "nice mate, are you available to fly for us? you will need a xx rating/endorsement/time on xx type, get it done ASAP". Those offers came about in the first place as a result of getting about, hanging around airports, talking to pilot mates etc - not sitting at a flight school on another course!!
Kundry is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2023, 22:42
  #973 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 245
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Curious how much IF time you had laminar before adding it to your new shiny Grade 3. In my honest opinion if you had only just got an IR then I would demand my money back from the school that sold you something most flying school HOO would say is worthless. This is my opinion only but getting instructors with little experience in instructing and IF flying in the real world is dangerous and will probably not give the students the best value for money. My opinion only is that it doesn’t add value to your Grade 3 and make you more employable. DFE is good (used to come automatically with a Grade 3). Unfortunately as has been stated in other threads, the majority of schools hire instructors they have trained. Until you get a Grade 2 it’s a hard slog getting an instructing gig.
engine out is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2023, 02:39
  #974 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,282
Received 203 Likes on 89 Posts
Flying schools exist for one reason, to sell flying courses. The bigger they are and the more qualifications they can sell you the richer they get and the VET system has made this very easy for them, because if the students were using their own instead of taxpayers money they might do more market research and look outside into the real world.. Of course they will tell you that you need to spend more and more money! For an analogy, If you ask a shop that sells very expensive things, say JB HiFi, for advice on what to buy then of course they will sell you the most expensive items, they don't care whether you need them, if you know how to use them or what you do with them once you have left the shop because they are already waiting to sell to the next person who walks in.

It's too late now but if you had spent that money on getting command time you would be miles ahead of the others. But of course you have to use your own hard-earned for that!

If I was employing Grade threes (I don't bother any more because they get snapped up by the big shiny schools as soon as they get Grade 2, so all the mentoring is a waste of time) I would be looking for the following:

How much relevant command time do they have ie Day VFR single engine?
Have they built their hours getting good and varied experience around the country or have they just drilled holes in the sky within 150nm of home, never pushing any boundaries?
Are they someone who would fit into the team and be great to work with?
Outstanding achievements in other areas, leadership and decision making roles?
Do they have work experience in teaching, customer service, retail or other face to face roles with clients?
Do they have the courtesy to research the school enough to contact the HOO by name to request an appointment or do they dress up in full pilot costume and drop off a resume addressed to "Dear Sir" expect the HOO to drop everything and see them? (Hint: this is how to ensure your resume goes straight into the bin)

All the IR, Multi etc are "Chocolate Teapots" for a Grade 3 and expensive to keep current.

Clare Prop is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2023, 04:57
  #975 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First job in the outback

Hi all,

I've just met a fresh CPL and MEIR who has about 250 hours with all there single engine training done on Cessna 172s. They asked me for some advice about going to the outback in search of a first job. Instructing was my first job but thought I'd post here to get feedback from pilots who have done it so I can pass it onto this new pilot. Should they make the move up to Darwin or go for an instructors rating as its more of safer option. I have been hearing hundreds of fresh CPLs are waiting in the outback for a job.

TIA
777xpilot is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2023, 06:38
  #976 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Oz
Posts: 46
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 777xpilot
Hi all,

I've just met a fresh CPL and MEIR who has about 250 hours with all there single engine training done on Cessna 172s. They asked me for some advice about going to the outback in search of a first job. Instructing was my first job but thought I'd post here to get feedback from pilots who have done it so I can pass it onto this new pilot. Should they make the move up to Darwin or go for an instructors rating as its more of safer option. I have been hearing hundreds of fresh CPLs are waiting in the outback for a job.

TIA
Firstly, I am incredibly alarmed as Clare Prop alluded to above with regards to financials being mentioned.

In reference to the quoted post, all time done in a 172 is the first short coming on the competitive CV front. The back half of hour building I cannot stress enough the importance to blow some hours on a 6 cylinder. Even just a dozen hours. If one is financially sound, then sure, blow the last 50 hours on one, not many others would take this initiative.

I would encourage your friend to get a dozen hours in a 182, or even better a 206/210. A retractable endo is generally another item they want up there.

If they can get an Instructing job at the place they learnt, after completing the course, well I think that’s likely a good route. However I am concerned with the $55k figure quoted above to get such a qualification. If that’s the dollar figure for it, then forget it.
nomess is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2023, 20:11
  #977 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 694
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Why can nobody seem to post for themselves anymore?

Everyone under 70 years old has a smart phone and internet so what's the problem?

Climb150 is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2023, 22:16
  #978 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 519
Received 232 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 777xpilot
Hi all,

I've just met a fresh CPL and MEIR who has about 250 hours with all there single engine training done on Cessna 172s. They asked me for some advice about going to the outback in search of a first job. Instructing was my first job but thought I'd post here to get feedback from pilots who have done it so I can pass it onto this new pilot. Should they make the move up to Darwin or go for an instructors rating as its more of safer option. I have been hearing hundreds of fresh CPLs are waiting in the outback for a job.

TIA
You’ll find the instructor job would be less safe then many ‘up north jobs’. The process is simple and has been completed successfully by many:

1. Select a town and move there - Broome, Kununurra, Darwin ect. (smaller the town the quicker you’ll get a flying job)

2. Get any job (ideally at a GA company admin ect.) Woolies/Coffee shop are still good.

3. Drop CV to all the GA operators - throw a pair of jeans/boots on and a nice button up shirt (sleeves rolled up). Drop in every 2-3 weeks to remind them you’re still here.

4. Enjoy the town you’re living in while you wait for a spot to open up! People pay a lot of money to go to these towns, enjoy and explore!
aussieflyboy is offline  
Old 2nd Jan 2024, 01:02
  #979 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Melbourne, vic, australia
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advices: anything will help

Hi everyone!
I m a 34 italian and I ve just been moving to Australia. As soon as possible I d like to take the CPL helicopter path, and I d like to collect as many info as possible.
gonna stick few questions:
•The main thing is about moneys; as every person moving to Australia of course I m not rich, and in general it looks really expensive to become a pilot: is there any tip to save a bit? (I noticed here in Australia it takes around 60k $, that is almost a half of the price in Europe, anyway)
• is it possible to drive , for example, an helicopter in europe with an australian driving license?
•does anyone have tips on courses and training?
•since I m ready to move somewhere else, for the right pilot school, where s a good place to find one?
•is it gonna be somehow easy to find a job, having the cplh or…?

thank you really much for the answers, wish everyone a happy new year!
Michelangelo
Mihemihemihemihe is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2024, 16:04
  #980 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Perth
Posts: 57
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NVFR Rating

I am thinking of doing a NVFR rating as a next step after my PPL, and as a pre-cursor to my PIFR.

Would it be better to do this in a capital city or in the country? Was thinking the latter was better due to more black holes?

Any schools to recommend around VIC? Was thinking of Yarra Valley Flight School, Interair or LTF Moorabin but would be curious to know if I have left any off the list.
zegnaangelo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.