PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2023, 05:38
nomess

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 777xpilot
Hi all,

I've just met a fresh CPL and MEIR who has about 250 hours with all there single engine training done on Cessna 172s. They asked me for some advice about going to the outback in search of a first job. Instructing was my first job but thought I'd post here to get feedback from pilots who have done it so I can pass it onto this new pilot. Should they make the move up to Darwin or go for an instructors rating as its more of safer option. I have been hearing hundreds of fresh CPLs are waiting in the outback for a job.

TIA
Firstly, I am incredibly alarmed as Clare Prop alluded to above with regards to financials being mentioned.

In reference to the quoted post, all time done in a 172 is the first short coming on the competitive CV front. The back half of hour building I cannot stress enough the importance to blow some hours on a 6 cylinder. Even just a dozen hours. If one is financially sound, then sure, blow the last 50 hours on one, not many others would take this initiative.

I would encourage your friend to get a dozen hours in a 182, or even better a 206/210. A retractable endo is generally another item they want up there.

If they can get an Instructing job at the place they learnt, after completing the course, well I think that’s likely a good route. However I am concerned with the $55k figure quoted above to get such a qualification. If that’s the dollar figure for it, then forget it.