PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2023, 21:16
aussieflyboy

Received 319 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by 777xpilot
Hi all,

I've just met a fresh CPL and MEIR who has about 250 hours with all there single engine training done on Cessna 172s. They asked me for some advice about going to the outback in search of a first job. Instructing was my first job but thought I'd post here to get feedback from pilots who have done it so I can pass it onto this new pilot. Should they make the move up to Darwin or go for an instructors rating as its more of safer option. I have been hearing hundreds of fresh CPLs are waiting in the outback for a job.

TIA
You’ll find the instructor job would be less safe then many ‘up north jobs’. The process is simple and has been completed successfully by many:

1. Select a town and move there - Broome, Kununurra, Darwin ect. (smaller the town the quicker you’ll get a flying job)

2. Get any job (ideally at a GA company admin ect.) Woolies/Coffee shop are still good.

3. Drop CV to all the GA operators - throw a pair of jeans/boots on and a nice button up shirt (sleeves rolled up). Drop in every 2-3 weeks to remind them you’re still here.

4. Enjoy the town you’re living in while you wait for a spot to open up! People pay a lot of money to go to these towns, enjoy and explore!