PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2023, 01:39
Clare Prop

Received 239 Likes on 110 Posts
Flying schools exist for one reason, to sell flying courses. The bigger they are and the more qualifications they can sell you the richer they get and the VET system has made this very easy for them, because if the students were using their own instead of taxpayers money they might do more market research and look outside into the real world.. Of course they will tell you that you need to spend more and more money! For an analogy, If you ask a shop that sells very expensive things, say JB HiFi, for advice on what to buy then of course they will sell you the most expensive items, they don't care whether you need them, if you know how to use them or what you do with them once you have left the shop because they are already waiting to sell to the next person who walks in.

It's too late now but if you had spent that money on getting command time you would be miles ahead of the others. But of course you have to use your own hard-earned for that!

If I was employing Grade threes (I don't bother any more because they get snapped up by the big shiny schools as soon as they get Grade 2, so all the mentoring is a waste of time) I would be looking for the following:

How much relevant command time do they have ie Day VFR single engine?
Have they built their hours getting good and varied experience around the country or have they just drilled holes in the sky within 150nm of home, never pushing any boundaries?
Are they someone who would fit into the team and be great to work with?
Outstanding achievements in other areas, leadership and decision making roles?
Do they have work experience in teaching, customer service, retail or other face to face roles with clients?
Do they have the courtesy to research the school enough to contact the HOO by name to request an appointment or do they dress up in full pilot costume and drop off a resume addressed to "Dear Sir" expect the HOO to drop everything and see them? (Hint: this is how to ensure your resume goes straight into the bin)

All the IR, Multi etc are "Chocolate Teapots" for a Grade 3 and expensive to keep current.